时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:40] | As you can see | 诚如各位所见 |
[01:41] | we are entering into the final phase of our grand enterprise | 浩大的兴建工程已进入最后阶段 |
[01:45] | and we’re eager that all of you, our principal patrons and sponsors | 我们迫不及待邀请各位主要赞助人 |
[01:48] | should be the first to witness what the new Metropolitan Opera | 抢先见证大都会歌剧院 |
[01:51] | will bring to the great city of New York. | 将为伟大纽约带来新气象 |
[01:53] | And now, I shall hand you over to Mr. Gilbert | 接下来就让吉柏先生 |
[01:56] | so he can answer any questions you may have. | 回答各位的疑问 |
[01:58] | Ladies and gentlemen, if you’d like to follow me into the auditorium. | 各位贵宾 请跟我一起到观众席 |
[02:12] | This way. | 这边请 |
[02:14] | The work may not be done | 虽然尚未完工 |
[02:17] | but it is nearly done and the First Tier, where most of you have taken boxes | 但已指日可待 |
[02:19] | needs only its finishing touches. | 在场大多人索取的头等包厢 也只剩最后加工 |
[02:28] | And now, I give you the grandest opera house in the world | 请看全球首屈一指的歌剧院 |
[02:31] | the new Metropolitan! | 大都会歌剧院 |
[02:37] | Oh, my heavens! | 哦,我的天啊! |
[02:39] | How extraordinary! | 多么的不寻常! |
[02:44] | As you can see, the theater is monumental. | 诚如您所见 规模不同凡响 |
[02:48] | Mrs. Winterton, you came. | 温特顿夫人 您来了 |
[02:50] | Your letter made me curious. | 您的信勾起我好奇心 |
[02:52] | And you’re right. | 你没说错 |
[02:53] | It’s very splendid. | 新剧院果然壮观 |
[02:55] | Are you thinking of crossing over to our side? | 打算变节加入我们吗 |
[02:57] | Oh, I’m afraid not. | 恐怕还是不行 |
[02:58] | Mr. Winterton values his box at the Academy so highly | 温特顿先生很看重他的学院包厢 |
[03:02] | as you’ll understand better than most. | 这点你比谁都清楚 |
[03:04] | Mrs. Russell, Mrs. Winterton would you mind holding that pose for just a second | 麻烦二位夫人暂时摆个姿势别动 |
[03:07] | while our artist makes a sketch? For the Daily Graphic. | 让”图像晚报”的画师素描 |
[03:10] | Not me. I support the Academy. | 别画我 我是学院派的 |
[03:12] | – Just you, then, Mrs. Russell. – Of course. | 那就只画罗素夫人 没问题 |
[03:16] | – Which box is yours? | 你的包厢是哪一间 |
[03:18] | – Oh, nothing is final yet. | 一切尚待决定 |
[03:19] | And I am to believe that. | 想骗谁呀 |
[03:24] | You’re kind to let me come today, when you know I’ll fail you. | 您真有雅量邀我 明知我是另一派的 |
[03:27] | That won’t stop me placing temptation in your way. | 还是能设法诱使你改变心意 |
[03:31] | Is it all progressing smoothly? I don’t see any workmen. | 工程还顺利吧 怎没见到工人 |
[03:33] | Oh, they must have cleared them for the patrons’ visit. | 为让嘉宾参观所以先清场了 |
[03:36] | Mrs. Russell, did you see the item in a Newport paper recently? | 请问罗素夫人 看过近日的纽波特新闻吗 |
[03:39] | There were no names but people say it was about your son | 虽没指名道姓 大家都猜是指令公子 |
[03:42] | and a Mrs. Blane? | 与布连夫人 |
[03:44] | He seems to be very fond of her. | 令公子似乎很喜欢她 |
[03:46] | We’re all fond of Mrs. Blane. | 我们全家都喜欢她 |
[03:48] | He’s starting out as an architect | 小犬是新进建筑师 |
[03:49] | and she has commissioned him to renovate her house there. | 布连夫人聘他装修住宅 |
[03:52] | So I suppose they’ve come to know each other pretty well? | 所以二人相当熟稔 |
[03:54] | Yes. We all know and like Mrs. Blane. | 我们都认识也喜欢布连夫人 |
[03:57] | And now I must go. | 我要走囉 |
[04:01] | What cheek these people have. | 这些人真厚颜无耻 |
[04:03] | I don’t know where they get their nonsense. | 不晓得从哪听来的无稽之谈 |
[04:05] | I’m sure there’s nothing to it, but… | 应该是没什么 但是‥ |
[04:07] | But what? | 但是怎样 |
[04:09] | Nothing, really. I wasn’t going to tell you. | 也没什么 我原不打算说的 |
[04:11] | It was just that Maud Beaton made a comment | 前些天去看戏时 |
[04:13] | when we all went to see that play. | 茉德彼顿说了几句 |
[04:15] | She seemed to think something was going on between them | 她似乎认为他俩真有什么 |
[04:17] | – but it was a joke. – Of course it was. | -是半开玩笑说的 -肯定是玩笑 |
[04:19] | If I could have a word, Mrs. Russell. | 罗素夫人 借一步说话 |
[04:25] | I’m afraid I have bad news. | 我有坏消息禀报 |
[04:26] | Does it have anything to do with the absence of any workers? | 跟没工人有关吗 |
[04:29] | Precisely. The money’s run out. | 正是 资金已耗尽 |
[04:32] | We are badly behind in our schedule for selling leases on the boxes. | 包厢的出租进度严重落后 |
[04:35] | I’ll help with that. | 我来想办法 |
[04:36] | If you can help, Mrs. Russell, please do and don’t waste any time. | 还请夫人动作要快 没时间了 |
[04:46] | I hope Miss Ada realizes that entertaining means a lot of work. | 希望艾达小姐知道 宴客要准备的工作可多了 |
[04:49] | It’s for a good cause. | 至少是立意良善 |
[04:51] | I think she likes the rector. | 她应该是对牧师有意思 |
[04:52] | Oh, she likes him very much, and she’s earned a bit of happiness. | 她可喜欢牧师了 整个人都开朗起来 |
[04:56] | How’s the clock coming on? | 闹钟修得如何 |
[04:57] | Good, I think. I’m gonna start testing it this week. | 很顺利 我这周要来测试 |
[05:01] | Should we all wear helmets? | 我们需要戴安全帽吗 |
[05:07] | Bishop Riley has been a missionary in Mexico City for years | 莱里主教曾在墨西哥城传教数年 |
[05:11] | saving lives and sharing gospel. | 同时拯救性命和传福音 |
[05:14] | So, I hope I have convinced you to join me | 希望各位与我一同支持 |
[05:17] | in supporting his noble cause. | 这项无私的行动 |
[05:21] | Calm down. It wasn’t the Gettysburg Address. | 别这么激动 又不是盖兹堡演说 |
[05:24] | What he said was so moving. | 他说得太动人了 |
[05:29] | The pamphlets on how you may help the mission | 资助传教说明手册 |
[05:32] | are on the table as you pass through to the dining room | 放在去饭厅会经过的圆桌上 |
[05:35] | where we invite you to join us now for some tea. | 现在招待各位去享用些茶点 |
[05:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[05:44] | I shouldn’t have thought that this would be of much interest to you. | 没想到你对这个活动感兴趣 |
[05:47] | I came to support Aunt Ada. | 我是来支持艾达姨妈 |
[05:49] | Besides, Miss Beaton is keen to help spread the Christian word. | 彼顿小姐也很热中传播基督福音 |
[05:52] | And how does that sit with you? | 那你自己呢 |
[05:54] | I gladly support good causes from the comfort of Fifth Avenue. | 我很乐意支持第五大道的善举 |
[05:58] | That bishop sounds so courageous. | 那位主教真勇敢 |
[06:01] | I just wish I were brave enough to do something practical to help. | 多希望我有勇气以实际行动声援 |
[06:04] | Why don’t I make a donation in your name? | 不如我用你的名义捐款 |
[06:07] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[06:09] | You continue to surprise me, Mr. van Rhijn. | 凡瑞恩先生 你令我惊喜连连 |
[06:11] | And you continue to inspire me, Miss Beaton. | 因为不断受到小姐您的启发 |
[06:18] | I wish I knew what to make of your cousin. | 不晓得该如何评断你表哥 |
[06:20] | Well, I’ve never seen him like this with anyone. | 我从没见过他如此对待其他人 |
[06:23] | You bring out the best in him, and I’m glad. | 你令他展现出最好一面 真是太好了 |
[06:28] | – We should go. – Are you leaving so soon? | -我们该走了 -这么快 |
[06:30] | I’m afraid Miss Brook is expected at my daughter’s school tea. | 布鲁克小姐要去参加小女学校的茶宴 |
[06:35] | – Tell Oscar goodbye for me. – Of course. | -帮我跟奥斯卡说再见 -我会的 |
[06:37] | Shall we? | 走吧 |
[06:39] | Well, there’s no need for you to escort me. | 不用护送了 |
[06:40] | I know my way to the school. | 我知道学校怎么去 |
[06:41] | It’s the least I can do. | 就让我尽这一点心力 |
[06:44] | Oh, Greece was my favorite of all the mission trips | 希腊是我传教之旅最爱的地方 |
[06:47] | but that was so long ago. | 那是好久以前的事了 |
[06:51] | Why did you stop? | 为什么不继续 |
[06:54] | When my father died, my mother was alone. | 父亲过世后 只剩母亲一人 |
[06:57] | I looked after her until the end. | 我返乡照顾她直到过世 |
[06:59] | Still, you must miss your missionary work. | 你一定很想念传教的日子 |
[07:02] | If I were counting my regrets | 若说我这辈子有何遗憾 |
[07:05] | I would put lack of travel as number one. | 鲜少旅行绝对是第一个 |
[07:07] | It’s not too late for you to travel. | 现在去还来得及啊 |
[07:10] | I shan’t argue, since I hope it’s true. | 这我不反对 因为我希望是真的 |
[07:14] | Miss Brook, there is so much that you can still do. | 布鲁克小姐‥你能做的事还有好多 |
[07:31] | There you are. | 你们在这里啊 |
[07:34] | I want to thank both of you for holding this gathering for me. | 感谢二位为我举办这场聚会 |
[07:37] | – We were glad to do it. | 我们很乐意 |
[07:39] | – You know Ada. | 你也知道艾达 |
[07:40] | Never happier than when she’s doing good works. | 她做善事时最快乐了 |
[07:44] | Are you sure you don’t want anything else to eat? | 确定不吃些东西 |
[07:47] | What about some more tea? | 再喝点茶呢 |
[07:49] | All right. I’ll have another cup of tea. | 好吧 再帮我倒杯茶 |
[07:51] | I see Mrs. Montgomery, excuse me. | -我看到蒙哥马利夫人了 |
[07:53] | – Thank you. – Of course. | -谢谢你 |
[07:55] | Your daughter is charming, and so old for her age. | 令嫒真是迷人又成熟 |
[07:58] | – She isn’t… – And she’s just like her father. | -她不是‥ -跟她父亲很像 |
[08:00] | I’ve watched him when he comes to collect her. | 我看过他来接女儿 |
[08:02] | I must say, you have him wonderfully trained. | 我得说你把他训练得真好 |
[08:04] | She is like her father, yes… | 她是很像父亲‥ |
[08:06] | I don’t think we’ve met, Mrs. Montgomery. | 我们好像还没见过 我是格兰尼夫人 |
[08:07] | I’m Mrs. Glennie. I’m not Mrs. Montgomery. | 我不是蒙哥马利夫人 |
[08:10] | I’m Miss Brook, and I’m Frances’s cousin. | 敝姓布鲁克 是法兰丝的表亲 |
[08:15] | – I teach here. – I see. I do apologize. | -我是本校教师 -这样啊 真抱歉 |
[08:18] | Well, you’ll know my daughter, Sarah Glennie. | 那你一定认识我女儿莎拉格兰尼 |
[08:20] | Of course.- She’s a credit to you. | 当然认得 您教得真好 |
[08:21] | – Yes, well, good.I’d better see that she’s all right. | 谢谢 我去看看她 |
[08:29] | There she is! | -她在那里 |
[08:31] | What were you saying to Mrs. Glennie? | -您跟格兰尼夫人说些什么 |
[08:32] | Nothing much. | 没什么 |
[08:33] | Miss Brook, we’re so happy to see you. | 布鲁克小姐 真高兴看到您 |
[08:35] | You’re our favorite teacher. | 您是我们最喜欢的老师 |
[08:37] | Thank you, but let’s keep that to ourselves. | 谢谢 这事我们知道就好 |
[08:42] | Here’s your father. | 你父亲来了 |
[08:44] | Am I too early? | 我来早了吗 |
[08:45] | No. I think it’s just breaking up now. | 不会 差不多要散会了 |
[08:48] | You’re very kind to have given Frances your afternoon. | 谢谢你陪法兰丝整个下午 |
[08:51] | Oh, I’ve enjoyed it. It’s nice to see all the girls and their families. | 我也很开心 顺便见见其他学生家长 |
[08:55] | And now, here we are, the three of us. | 现在只剩下我们三人了 |
[08:58] | Because we make a rather neat little family too now, don’t we? | 我们就像个美满的小家庭 |
[09:03] | You mustn’t frighten Miss Brook. | 别吓着布鲁克小姐了 |
[09:06] | You’re not frightened, are you? | 您没吓着吧 |
[09:09] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[09:10] | I’ve had a lovely time, but now I should get back. | 今天下午很开心 我该回家了 |
[09:13] | The carriage is outside. | -马车在外面 |
[09:14] | No, I’ll walk. I usually do. | -不用了 我通常走回家 |
[09:16] | Nonsense. No one in our little family walks | 那怎么行 小家庭成员不能用走的 |
[09:18] | not when there’s a perfectly good carriage waiting. | 马车都在外面等了 |
[09:21] | She’s very grateful. | 我也是 |
[09:23] | And so am I. | 她很感谢你 |
[09:30] | You’re not still worrying about that stupid article? | 你不会还在担心那篇蠢报导吧 |
[09:33] | Stupid or not, we have to be careful. | 不管蠢不蠢 我们还是得小心 |
[09:36] | It was just fizz for a gossip column. | 不过就是个八卦专栏 |
[09:39] | What does it matter? Ignore it. | 不重要 别理会就好 |
[09:41] | You are a bachelor sowing your wild oats. | 你是单身男子 可以四处留情 |
[09:44] | And you have nothing to lose. | 而且不用考虑后果 |
[09:46] | You worry too much. | 你想太多了 |
[09:50] | No one cares. | 根本没人在乎 |
[09:53] | People care. | 有人可在乎了 |
[09:58] | What is it? | 怎么回事 |
[10:00] | Your mother has written to me. | 你母亲给我来了封信 |
[10:03] | She’s asked me to call on her the next time I’m in New York. | 要我下次到纽约去找她 |
[10:08] | Does she say why? | 说了为什么吗 |
[10:09] | Well, it seems to be about getting me to take a box at the Metropolitan. | 可能是想让我在大都会订包厢 |
[10:13] | Oh, I see. Yes, it would be. | 原来如此 那就是了 |
[10:16] | But why couldn’t it wait until she was back in Newport? | 何不等她回纽波特再说 |
[10:19] | She wouldn’t want to wait. | 她不想等 |
[10:21] | She thinks of nothing else at the moment. | 目前此事佔据她全副心力 |
[10:24] | Will you see her? While you’re there? | 你到了纽约会去见她吗 |
[10:28] | What reason could I possibly have for refusing? | 我有什么理由能拒绝 |
[10:31] | Just don’t let her worry you. | 别介意我母亲就是了 |
[10:36] | When will you get back to Newport? | 你何时回纽波特 |
[10:38] | Thursday. | 周四 |
[10:40] | In time for Mrs. Fish’s dinner. | 回来参加费许夫人的晚宴 |
[10:43] | I’ll pick you up at eight. Should we arrive together? | 我八点来接你 |
[10:45] | I’ll drop you at the door | 我俩同时到场不好吧 |
[10:48] | drive around the block and come in later. | 那就等你进门后 我先绕个圈再进去 |
[10:55] | And for what it’s worth, I’m not sowing any wild oats. | 真要说的话 我可没四处留情 |
[11:01] | Because I love you. | 因为我爱你 |
[11:05] | And I am very much afraid that I love you, Mr. Russell | 恐怕我也爱上你了 罗素先生 |
[11:10] | which was not a part of the original plan. | 尽管我原先并无此打算 |
[11:27] | Are we dining together this evening? | 今晚一起用餐吗 |
[11:29] | I don’t think so. | 还是免了吧 |
[11:31] | That’s a pity because I have good news. | 真可惜 因为我有好消息 |
[11:34] | It’s about the Duke of Buckingham. | 跟白金汉公爵有关 |
[11:37] | I wrote to John Burns, the English Chairman of Cunard. | 我写信给丘纳公司 英籍董事长约翰伯恩斯 |
[11:41] | It seems he knows the Duke well. | 他和白金汉公爵很熟 |
[11:43] | We’re invited to a reception. | 我们受邀参加一场宴会 |
[11:44] | With the Duke? | 公爵也会去吗 |
[11:46] | Of course with the Duke. | 当然会去 |
[11:48] | I said you could fix things if you put your mind to it. | 我就说你只要用心就能办到 |
[11:51] | How was your patrons’ tour of the opera house? | 参观新歌剧院怎么样了 |
[11:54] | Did it go well? | 还顺利吗 |
[11:55] | Not entirely. | 不怎么顺利 |
[11:56] | We have a problem. | 发生一些问题 |
[11:58] | – The work stopped. – Won’t they sort it out? | -工程停摆了 -能解决吗 |
[12:00] | Maybe, but the opening could be delayed when it’s all arranged. | 应该能吧 但安排好的开幕式会延宕 |
[12:03] | We could even lose our singers. | 弄不好连歌手都不来了 |
[12:05] | Do you want me to look into it? | 要我帮忙想办法吗 |
[12:07] | I’d be grateful if you would. | 若可以的话就太好了 |
[12:09] | Apart from that, did you feel it went well?I think so. | -除此之外都还好吗 -还好 |
[12:12] | Although Mrs. Winterton took the chance to rub my face | 只不过温特顿夫人 刻意向我炫耀 |
[12:15] | in her membership in the Academy. | 学院的会员身份 |
[12:17] | And a journalist asked me about some gossip in a Newport paper | 一个记者问我纽波特小报消息 |
[12:20] | which some people seem to think is about Larry and Mrs. Blane. | 有人认为是指赖瑞跟布连夫人 |
[12:23] | – What did you say? – What could I say? | -你怎么说 -还能怎么说 |
[12:25] | That he’s working for her, as her architect. | -就说他是受聘装修房子 -这是实话 |
[12:27] | – Well, that’s true. – It’s spreading, George. | 事情已经传开了 |
[12:29] | It’ll be all over New York before too long. | 没多久全纽约都会知道 |
[12:31] | – You’ll control it. – Is that all I’m good for? | -你会有办法的 -这就是我的功用吗 |
[12:34] | Running around with a blanket to put out the fires? | 东奔西跑四处灭火 |
[12:36] | Trying to make sure Larry stays out of trouble. | 要看紧赖瑞别惹麻烦 |
[12:38] | Making sure Gladys meets the right people. | 还要帮葛莱蒂物色合适人选 |
[12:40] | I cover all your backs, but who’s covering mine? | 我帮所有人撑腰 谁来帮我撑腰 |
[12:43] | I hope I am. | 我希望是我 |
[12:45] | That’s what I mean to do. | 由我来守护你 |
[12:47] | For me, no one living is more important than you. | 对我来说 没有人比你更珍贵 |
[12:51] | I know. | 这我知道 |
[12:55] | What do you propose to do about Larry? | 赖瑞的事打算怎么解决 |
[12:57] | I’m going to talk to Mrs. Blane. | 我想找布连夫人谈谈 |
[12:59] | And what will you say? | 打算怎么跟她说 |
[13:00] | Only the truth. | 实话实说囉 |
[13:02] | It’s usually for the best. | 通常这样最有效 |
[13:09] | Have you answered Mr. McNeil’s letter yet? | 你回信给麦克尼尔先生了吗 |
[13:12] | No. And before you ask | 还没回 |
[13:13] | it’s because I don’t quite know what that answer should be. | 不劳你问 因为我还不知该如何回答 |
[13:17] | It must be very difficult for you. | 想必是个困难的决定 |
[13:20] | Because I need to be sure that it’s right for her. | 我得确定这对她是有好处的 |
[13:23] | Do you think he’ll renege on the terms? | 你想他会食言吗 |
[13:25] | No. He says that he’ll make me comfortable | 不会 他说让我生活无虞 这点我相信 |
[13:28] | I’m sure that he will, but I need to know that it’s what she wants. | 我想知道芙萝拉的心意 |
[13:32] | Then tell him. | 那就写信告诉他 |
[13:34] | Write to him, and explain that you need to hear it from her. | 说你希望听到她亲口说 |
[13:38] | You’re right. | 有道理 |
[13:39] | Make sure to cover it up. | 一定要把它盖起来 |
[13:41] | I’ll do it. | 就这么办吧 |
[13:44] | It’s an honor to meet you, Mr. Washington. | “塔斯基吉站” 华盛顿先生 幸会啊 |
[13:46] | My pleasure. It’s quite the journey from New York. | 彼此彼此 辛苦二位大老远从纽约来 |
[13:49] | An important journey. | 此行太重要了 |
[13:51] | My wife will be delighted to have another lady in the house. | 内人会很高兴家里多了一位女性 |
[13:54] | I look forward to meeting her | 我很期待认识她 |
[13:55] | and I can’t wait to see the campus and the dormitory. | 更迫不及待参观校园和宿舍楼 |
[13:57] | – Yes. – Well, I appreciate you all | 感谢二位特地南下 |
[13:59] | coming down here to cover this and give us our time in the sun. | 报导本校的重大时刻 |
[14:02] | You deserve a good press. | 此事值得好好宣传 |
[14:04] | Oh, I’m going to remind you of that when you’re writing the article. | 稍后写报导可别忘了这番话 |
[14:07] | How did you convince Mr. Porter to make such a large contribution? | 您如何说服波特先生 如此慷慨捐款 |
[14:11] | Barely off the train and already at work. | 刚下车就开始工作 |
[14:14] | Very good. | 佩服佩服 |
[14:17] | Mr. Thompson. | 汤普森先生好 |
[14:18] | Mr. Washington. | 华盛顿先生 |
[14:20] | I hear great things about your new dormitory. | 我听说新宿舍楼的好消息 |
[14:23] | You should be congratulated. | 恭喜你了 |
[14:25] | That’s kind of you. Thank you. | 谢谢您的祝贺 |
[14:30] | Have things changed that much in the South? | 南方真的改变这么多 |
[14:32] | Or is it just you? | 还是您身份特殊 |
[14:33] | We’re making incremental changes with the whites | 我们与白人关系稍有进展 |
[14:36] | but even bigger changes for ourselves. | 大部分改变还是我们自己 |
[14:38] | You’ll see when we get to the school. | 等看到学校你就会明白 |
[14:43] | Would you like to come out with me and see my father? | 要一起去见我父亲吗 |
[14:45] | I can’t. I’m to meet my aunt in the park right after school. | 不了 下课后我跟姑妈约在公园 |
[14:48] | We’re walking home together. | 再一起走回家 |
[14:51] | – Miss Brook. – Hello, Miss Barnes. | 布鲁克老师 您好 巴恩斯小姐 |
[14:54] | May I have a word with you? | 有空说个话吗 |
[14:56] | Of course. | 当然有啊 |
[14:58] | Are you familiar with Jane Addams? | 你听说过珍亚当斯吗 |
[15:00] | She’s dedicated to social reform. | 她致力社会改革工作 |
[15:02] | We’re joining her in starting some charity classes | 我们打算参与她发起的公益课程 |
[15:05] | for which we need teachers. | 正在找志工教师 |
[15:07] | I would like you to help with this cause. | 我想请你帮忙授课 |
[15:09] | Would I teach painting at Miss Addams’s classes? | 要我在她的课堂教画画 |
[15:11] | No. They need skills to give them a chance in life | 不是 是生活实用技能课程 |
[15:15] | reading, writing, basic arithmetic. | 读写和基础算数 |
[15:17] | – That sort of thing. – I see. | -诸如此类的 -原来如此 |
[15:20] | – Thank you for thinking of me. – Of course. | 谢谢您想到我 你是不二人选 |
[15:31] | You hate peonies. | 你不喜欢牡丹花 |
[15:34] | No, why would you say that? | 不会啊 怎会这么说 |
[15:38] | I’ve not given flowers to many women | 我很少送花给女士 |
[15:40] | but I don’t think you should be worried. | 这点你无须担心 |
[15:45] | They’re lovely. | 花是很美 |
[15:46] | But I admit I do wonder what Agnes will think. | 老实说我是怕爱格会怎么想 |
[15:52] | Those flowers are for you, Ada Brook. | 花是送给你的 艾达布鲁克 |
[15:56] | And no one else. | 不是别人 |
[15:58] | They’re very beautiful. | 我很喜欢 |
[16:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[16:08] | Yes. | 快走 |
[16:13] | Right this way, sir, right this way. | -先生往这边 |
[16:14] | Oh, thank you. | -谢谢你 |
[16:16] | Oh, my! | 小心 天啊 |
[16:22] | What about Marian? | 玛丽安怎么办 |
[16:23] | We can’t leave without her. | 不能丢下她先走 |
[16:25] | Well, she won’t come here in the rain. | 雨这么大她应该不来了 |
[16:28] | Why don’t we go by the school to see if she’s still there? | 就顺路去学校看她还在不在 |
[16:30] | Oh, yes, let’s do that. | 好 就这么办 |
[16:38] | Some gossip has reached me that I confess I find disquieting. | 最近听到一些流言让我有些焦虑 |
[16:42] | I thought I was here to talk about the new opera house. | 还以为是找我来谈新歌剧院的事 |
[16:45] | That can wait. | 那事不急 |
[16:46] | Did you see the article? | 你看过报导了吗 |
[16:48] | About you and Larry? | 在讲你跟赖瑞那篇 |
[16:51] | How can you be so sure? It gave no names. | 没指名道姓 如此肯定 |
[16:54] | Don’t think I care what they write about you | 报纸怎么写你我管不着 |
[16:56] | but I do not want them to connect you with my son. | 但不能连累到我儿子 |
[16:58] | Larry is working for me. | 赖瑞只是替我工作 |
[17:00] | You’ve had your fun. Isn’t it time to end it? | 你玩儿够了 该收手了吧 |
[17:03] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[17:04] | What is it you want from him? | 你想从他身上得到什么 |
[17:07] | You can’t give him an heir. | 你不能帮他生儿子 |
[17:09] | In 20 years, when he is in his prime, you’ll be walking with a stick. | 二十年后他正值壮年 你却要拄枴杖了 |
[17:13] | Even if he feels too guilty to leave | 就算不忍心抛弃你 |
[17:15] | part of him will be waiting for you to die. | 也会私心盼你早点死 |
[17:17] | You must remember what that was like | 就像你当年 |
[17:18] | when you were married to your husband. | 巴不得垂老的丈夫早点死 |
[17:20] | How dare you say such things! | 竟敢对我说这种话 |
[17:21] | – I dare because they’re true. – I’m leaving. | 因为句句不假 |
[17:23] | – Very well. And about the opera… – I don’t care about the opera! | -我要走了 -那好 至于歌剧院‥ |
[17:25] | Well, that’s good because since I wrote | -我才不在乎 -那太好了 |
[17:26] | the boxes have all gone. | 自从我寄信后包厢都订光了 |
[17:30] | So I came here for nothing? | 所以我这趟白来了 |
[17:31] | I’m afraid it looks that way. | 恐怕是的 |
[17:45] | – Thank you. – I enjoyed myself | 谢谢你 |
[17:46] | despite the rain. | 虽然下雨我还是很开心 |
[17:50] | I look forward to our next meeting. | 期待再次与你相见 |
[17:52] | I suppose that will be Sunday. | 应该是礼拜天了 |
[17:54] | Can I see you sooner? | 能提早吗 |
[17:56] | How? | 怎么做 |
[17:59] | You could come by the church to discuss missionary charities | 你来教堂讨论传教慈善 |
[18:03] | or sit with me for choir rehearsal? | 或跟我一起唱诗 |
[18:07] | Can you get away tomorrow evening? | 明晚能出门吗 |
[18:10] | Agnes doesn’t keep me captive. | -爱格又没把我关在家 -那就好 |
[18:12] | Good. I don’t think I have the patience to wait until Sunday. | 我可没办法等到礼拜天 |
[18:17] | ‘Til then. | 明天见 |
[18:34] | What happened?You never came to the park. | 怎么你没来公园找我 |
[18:37] | The headmistress asked to speak to me after school | 放学后校长有事找我 |
[18:39] | and by then, it was raining, so I caught a cab. | 后来下雨 我便自己招车回来 |
[18:42] | Did the rector drop you off? | 牧师送你回来 |
[18:43] | Yes. | 对 |
[18:45] | Did he give you those? | 花也是他送的 |
[18:47] | He did. | 没错 |
[18:49] | Would you take care of them for me? | 麻烦你帮我处理吧 |
[18:52] | I don’t have the strength to explain them to Agnes. | 我现在没力气向爱格解释 |
[18:57] | I’d better change. | 我先去更衣 |
[19:03] | I think it’ll be worthwhile. | 我认为很值得参与 |
[19:06] | You must be proud. | 你一定很自豪吧 |
[19:08] | It means the headmistress thinks highly of you. | 代表校长很看重你 |
[19:11] | When does it begin? Teaching these beggars? | 什么时候开始帮那些乞丐上课 |
[19:14] | Please don’t call them that. | 别这样说他们 |
[19:17] | I thought tomorrow night | 明晚来试试 |
[19:18] | we might try that lamb receipt from the Ladies Home Journal. | “妇女家政杂志”上的羊肉食谱 |
[19:21] | I’ve given it to Mrs. Bauer. | 我交给鲍尔太太了 |
[19:22] | Oh. Mrs. Wilson’s asked me to dine. The Fanes are going. | 威尔森夫人约了我吃饭 芬恩夫妇也会去 |
[19:26] | I accepted because I thought you’d be out. | 我以为你要出门所以答应了 |
[19:28] | My dinner was cancelled. Mrs. Temple is ill. | 我的约取消了 邓波夫人身体不适 |
[19:31] | I’ll have to tell Mrs. Bauer it will just be the two of us. | 那我吩咐厨娘就准备二人份的 |
[19:36] | Actually, I have plans for tomorrow evening. | 很不巧‥我明晚也有事 |
[19:41] | Plans? | 有事 |
[19:42] | What can you mean? What sort of plans? | 你能有什么事 |
[19:44] | I have business to attend to at the church. | 我要去教堂办点事 |
[19:48] | Presumably this is the reverend Mr. Forte again? | 又是因为弗特牧师 |
[19:51] | He wants to discuss the missionary charities. | 他想讨论传教慈善 |
[19:54] | He’s working all day, so he asked me to come in later. | 他白天要工作 晚上才有时间 |
[19:58] | There’s to be a choir practice. | 还有唱诗班练习 |
[19:59] | And what will you do about dinner? | 你晚餐怎么办 |
[20:01] | I’m sure he’ll see to it that I don’t go hungry. | 我想他会看着办的 |
[20:08] | Marian thinks you are engaged in a full-blown flirtation. | 玛丽安认为你俩在打情骂俏 |
[20:10] | – What? | -什么 |
[20:12] | You mean with the reverend Mr. Forte? | 你说跟弗特牧师吗 |
[20:15] | – Why? Are there others? – Of course not. | -不然还有其他人 -当然没有 |
[20:16] | I never said that, Aunt Agnes. | 爱格姑妈 我没说过这种话 |
[20:18] | I think you did. | 你说了 |
[20:19] | Marian likes to embroider things to tease me, to tease us both. | 玛丽安老爱加油添醋取笑我 取笑你跟我 |
[20:23] | Because it would seem a poor return after all these years | 若是真的 就枉费我照顾你这么多年 |
[20:27] | if you were to desert me now. | 竟想丢下我一人 |
[20:28] | Agnes, what has got into you? | 爱格 你是怎么了 |
[20:31] | So Mr. Forte is nothing? | 所以你跟他没什么囉 |
[20:35] | He is an extremely nice man, and I like him very much. | 他人很好 我也很喜欢他 |
[20:40] | That is all I feel for him | 就这样而已 |
[20:41] | and I am quite sure it is all he feels for me. | 我想他的感受也是如此 |
[20:44] | But if it were more? | 若有进一步呢 |
[20:45] | “If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there’d be no need for tinkers.” | 世事难料 切勿杞人忧天 庸人自扰 |
[20:48] | – I’m serious. – I refuse to be serious about this subject. | -认真点 -这事没什么好认真的 |
[20:53] | Bannister, remove the flowers and the bee that inhabits them. | 班尼斯特 快把花跟里头的蜜蜂拿走 |
[20:57] | Where did they come from? | 这花是哪里来的 |
[21:04] | They’re mine. | 是我的 |
[21:07] | They were a present. | 人家送的 |
[21:08] | From Cousin Dashiell? | 是你达许表哥吗 |
[21:11] | From the parents of a pupil. | 是学生家长送的 |
[21:14] | Bannister, we’re done with this. | 班尼斯特 可以收走了 |
[21:21] | What on earth is that noise? | 那是什么鬼声音 |
[21:24] | I think it may be my clock alarm. | 应该是我的闹钟 |
[21:28] | Telling you what? That it’s time to clear the plates? | 提醒你该收桌子吗 |
[21:30] | Go and turn it off at once. | 快去关掉 |
[21:34] | – I’ll fetch the dessert. – Better not. | 我去端甜点 不用了 |
[21:36] | It might attract more bees. | 免得招来更多蜜蜂 |
[21:41] | – I’m sorry to summon you here. – I’m rather enjoying it. | 抱歉找你来这里 我觉得挺不错 |
[21:44] | It’s some time since I’ve been in a banker’s office. | 很久没来银行办公室了 |
[21:47] | But I had my own, once. | 从前我也有自己的办公室 |
[21:49] | Please. | 请坐 |
[21:51] | How many of your fellow servants know why you’ve come here? | 多少共事家仆知道你来这里 |
[21:55] | Just some of the senior staff. | 就几位资深同事 |
[21:57] | The butler, the chef, the housekeeper, that’s all. | 管家 厨师和女管家 |
[22:00] | This is exactly what I cannot have. | 这就是我担心的 |
[22:02] | The news spreading through New York that your father-in-law is a valet. | 岳父是侍者的消息传遍纽约 |
[22:05] | I don’t expect you to understand. | 你不理解我也没办法 |
[22:07] | But I understand perfectly. | 我完全理解 |
[22:10] | I’m afraid it won’t be possible for you and Mrs. McNeil to meet. | 恐怕不能让你跟我夫人见面 |
[22:14] | She has asked me to speak for her | 她要我代为转达其意 |
[22:16] | And to thank you if you decide to accept our offer | 若你愿接受安排搬到西岸 |
[22:18] | and move to the West Coast. | 她会很感激 |
[22:20] | I hope that’s enough. | 这样应该就够了 |
[22:23] | No, it’s not. | 还不够 |
[22:25] | – Why not? – Because I must hear it from her. | -为什么不够 -我必须亲耳听她说 |
[22:28] | I’m sorry? Do you mean to suggest that I am lying? | 意思是说我在骗你 |
[22:31] | No. | 不是这个意思 |
[22:33] | What else can it be? | 不然呢 |
[22:34] | I have relayed her wishes, I have given you her decision. | 我已代为转达她的决定 |
[22:37] | What other reason can you have for refusing to believe it? | 这还不足以让你采信 |
[22:39] | I am not suggesting anything. I’m not refusing anything. | 我不是在怀疑或拒绝什么 |
[22:41] | I am telling you in as polite and straightforward a manner as possible | 只是客气且坦白告诉你 |
[22:45] | that I won’t give up my job | 要我辞职或搬走 |
[22:46] | or leave the city without discussing it with my daughter. | 得先跟女儿讨论过才行 |
[22:51] | You’re a very stubborn man. | 你还真固执 |
[22:53] | I might say the same. | 彼此彼此 |
[22:54] | Very well. | 知道了 |
[22:56] | Flora will be very disappointed | 芙萝拉会很失望 |
[22:58] | that her happiness is of no concern to you. | 原来你不在乎她的幸福 |
[23:03] | I will not answer that | 我根本不想回答 |
[23:04] | since you know it to be the very reverse of the truth. | 你明知事实正好相反 |
[23:07] | Not just stubborn then but also insolent. | 不仅固执还很傲慢 |
[23:10] | If you will forgive me, Mr. McNeil, I must be getting back. | 先告辞了 我还得回去上工 |
[23:50] | Mrs. Bruce? | 布鲁斯太太 |
[23:53] | What, what are you doing up here? | 你怎么上楼来了 |
[23:55] | Oh, menus, of course. | 当然是讨论菜单 |
[23:57] | What else? | 不然呢 |
[24:00] | When I was out earlier | 我稍早在外头看到一张海报 |
[24:02] | I saw a poster for a concert in Central Park. | 中央公园要举办演奏会 |
[24:08] | What kind of concert? | 什么样的演奏会 |
[24:09] | Well, it was a medley. | 什么都有 包括歌剧 |
[24:11] | Some opera, Verdi Brahms | 威尔第 布拉姆斯 |
[24:13] | Mendelssohn’s overture to A Midsummer Night’s Dream. | 孟德尔颂的仲夏夜 |
[24:15] | That sort of thing. | 之梦序曲 |
[24:20] | Would you like to go? | 你想去听吗 |
[24:22] | What? Together? | 什么 跟你一起去 |
[24:25] | That’s… well, that’s the idea. | 我是这么想的 |
[24:29] | Yes. I would. | 好啊 一起去 |
[24:34] | You’ve made me glad. | 我太高兴了 |
[24:46] | Mr. Joshua Winterton. | 约书亚温特顿先生到 |
[24:51] | You are good to come. | 谢谢你愿意来 |
[24:52] | When Mrs. Astor summons me, I know what I must do. | 阿斯特夫人召唤是肯定要到的 |
[24:57] | But why was I not to tell Mrs. Winterton? | 为何不能让我夫人知道 |
[25:00] | Because I wanted you to tell her when you know what it’s about. | 我觉得由你来转告她比较好 |
[25:04] | Please. | 请坐 |
[25:09] | This is very difficult to say | 这事很难以启齿 |
[25:12] | but I have lately learned more of Mrs. Winterton’s career | 我近来听说温特顿夫人过往职业 |
[25:16] | which leads me to think that she might not be entirely happy at the Academy. | 我怕她会在学院待得不甚开心 |
[25:21] | Oh, she very much enjoys the Academy. | 她待得很开心哪 |
[25:23] | I’m sure she thinks she does. | 这点我不怀疑 |
[25:25] | But I do not believe that she will find | 怕的是其他包厢主人熟识她后 |
[25:27] | the other box-holders congenial when she gets to know them better. | 态度会变得不友善 |
[25:32] | Why is that? | 为什么 |
[25:33] | There is too great a contrast in her journey through life. | 她的人生经历与其他会员落差过大 |
[25:38] | What are you saying? | 什么意思 |
[25:40] | That Mrs. Winterton is somehow unsuited to be a box-holder? | 我夫人不够格持有包厢 |
[25:44] | Are you implying there is something disreputable in my wife’s past? | 还是暗示我夫人 有不光彩的过去 |
[25:48] | Because if you are… | -如果是的话‥ |
[25:49] | I’m not saying anything of the sort, but her history is quite unlike | -我没那个意思 只不过她的背景 |
[25:54] | that of the other ladies she will meet there. | 与其他夫人很不同罢了 |
[25:57] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不懂你的意思 |
[25:59] | Can you be clearer? | 可以说清楚点吗 |
[26:01] | That is for Mrs. Winterton to say. | 那得请你去问温特顿夫人了 |
[26:04] | But in the meantime, we must surrender our box? | 现在是要我们交出包厢吗 |
[26:08] | – If you don’t mind. – But I do mind! I mind very much! | -若你不介意的话 -我介意得不得了 |
[26:12] | You know, if we go, we must transfer to the new Metropolitan | 要知道 我们一旦离开 会转而投向大都会 |
[26:16] | and we will take as many of our old friends as we can! | 还会尽可能把朋友都带走 |
[26:20] | Even so, that might be best. | 就算这样 还是得请你们走 |
[26:24] | And this is a general decision? | 其他人都同意吗 |
[26:27] | The board has spoken of it, yes. | 董事会已经裁定 |
[26:32] | Very well. | 明白了 |
[26:35] | I cannot fight you when the blade has already fallen. | 既然木已成舟 我反抗也没用 |
[26:39] | But let me give you a warning. | 丑话说在先 |
[26:41] | I will not forget this! | 我不会就此罢休 |
[26:44] | And nor will you! | 你们给我记好了 |
[26:59] | He hasn’t arrived yet. | -他还没到 -你怎么知道 |
[27:00] | – How can you be sure? – We’ll know. | 到了你会知道 |
[27:03] | What do we call him when we meet? | 见了他要怎么称呼 |
[27:05] | Your Highness? Sir? | 殿下‥还是先生 |
[27:07] | Your Grace is the formal title. | 正式尊称是阁下 |
[27:09] | And we’re to address him as Your Grace? | 所以得称呼他为阁下 不可能吧 |
[27:11] | – You’ve got to be kidding. – Mr. McAllister says that | 麦卡里斯特先生说 |
[27:13] | when we meet him socially, we should just call him “Duke.” | 社交场合称他公爵就行了 |
[27:17] | If the only gain in our fight for independence | 若脱离英国的好处 是不再使用这些尊称 |
[27:19] | Was to dispense with British titles, then it was surely worth it. | 实在太值得了 |
[27:22] | Mrs. Russell? | 罗素夫人 你们怎么也来了 |
[27:24] | – What are you doing here? – Oh, did we need your permission? | 难不成要经过你允许 |
[27:27] | I only meant I wasn’t aware you knew the Duke. | 我的意思是 不知道你也认识公爵 |
[27:30] | I hear work on the Metropolitan has been suspended for a while. | 听说大都会工程停摆一阵子了 |
[27:34] | Oh, that’s been sorted out. | 已经解决了 |
[27:36] | It was a slight hitch, nothing more. | 小问题罢了 |
[27:38] | So it won’t upset your plan to open on the same night as the Academy? | 所以不影响跟学院同天开幕 |
[27:41] | Good. I’m looking forward to it. | 那好 我等着看好戏 |
[27:43] | Me too. I enjoy competition. | 我也是 我最爱竞争了 |
[27:50] | Is that true? | 是真的吗 |
[27:52] | That everything’s back on track with the Met? | 你说大都会复工 |
[27:54] | Problem’s solved. | 问题解决了 |
[27:56] | Work will start again in the morning. | 明早就会开工 |
[27:57] | What? How? | 怎么办到的 |
[27:59] | I hope you haven’t put your own money into it | 该不会自掏腰包吧 |
[28:01] | when I promised you wouldn’t have to. | 我都说不用了 |
[28:02] | No. It was just bad accounting. | 问题出在会计失误 |
[28:04] | I had Clay look into it, and it’s been sorted out. | 我叫克雷去查 已经解决了 |
[28:07] | That is wonderful. Thank you. | 太好了 谢谢你 |
[28:12] | Stay here. | 在这里等我一下 |
[28:36] | May I help you, ma’am? | 夫人 需要效劳吗 |
[28:38] | No, thank you. | 没事 谢谢 再聊 |
[28:44] | Ladies and gentlemen, His Grace, the Duke of Buckingham. | 各位嘉宾 白金汉公爵阁下驾到 |
[28:59] | Your Grace. | 阁下 |
[29:01] | Oh. He’s much younger than I thought he’d be. | 比我想的年轻多了 |
[29:04] | What were you expecting? | 你以为他几岁 |
[29:05] | Well, don’t most dukes inherit in late middle age? | 公爵不都在中年才继位 |
[29:08] | I don’t know sufficient dukes to make a meaningful comparison. | 我没认识几个公爵 无从比较 |
[29:42] | Excuse me, sir. | 抱歉 先生 |
[29:43] | I believe your wife is at the wrong chair. | 尊夫人恐怕坐错位子了 |
[29:46] | You’re mistaken. | 错的是你 |
[29:48] | Mrs. Russell is exactly where she should be. | 罗素夫人的位子就在这里 |
[29:55] | Mrs. Russell. I am pleased. I’ve heard all about you from Mr. Burns. | 罗素夫人 幸会 |
[29:58] | I’ve heard all about you from Mr. Burns. | 伯恩斯先生跟我提过贤伉俪 |
[30:04] | I can’t be sitting here. | 这不可能是我的位子 |
[30:06] | It seems you are, Mrs. Winterton. | 恐怕没错 温特顿夫人 |
[30:09] | Is it so terrible a fate? | 坐在这里如此不堪吗 |
[30:12] | Good gracious. It’s you. | 天啊 是你 |
[30:14] | Good evening, Mr. van Rhijn. | 晚安 凡瑞恩先生 |
[30:17] | I hoped we’d meet again | 我想过会与你重逢 |
[30:18] | but I never thought it would be like this. | 但没料到是在这种场合 |
[30:20] | Life is full of surprises. | 人生难以预料 |
[30:22] | I’m sorry if you’re disappointed to find yourself next to me. | 坐在我旁边真是委屈你了 |
[30:25] | It’s not that exactly. | 不是这样的 |
[30:26] | But I was told my place was… | 我以为会坐在‥ |
[30:31] | Oh, never mind. We’re here now. | -算了 来不及了 |
[30:33] | We are. | -对 |
[30:34] | And you have ’til the next course to describe your ascension. | 下道菜送来前 跟我说说你的身份高升 |
[30:38] | How did you do it? I long to hear. | 告诉我 你怎么办到的 |
[30:42] | In a way, it’s a relief to be with someone who knows my whole story. | 你知道我的过去 反而让我松一口气 |
[30:46] | But first, is my husband all right? | 先确认一下我丈夫状况 |
[30:47] | Who are we looking at? | 您在找谁 |
[30:49] | My husband, Mr. Winterton. | 我丈夫温特顿先生 |
[30:50] | This is Miss Maud Beaton. | 这位是茉德彼顿小姐 |
[30:53] | Mrs. Winterton. Mr. Winterton is seated down there. | 这位是温特顿夫人 温特顿先生坐在那一头 |
[30:57] | Next to Lillie Langtry the actress. | 在女演员莉莉兰特里旁边 |
[31:00] | I met her when I was in London. | 我在伦敦见过她 |
[31:01] | She’s bound to know the Duke. | 她应该认识公爵 |
[31:03] | She had a long romance with the Prince of Wales. | 她和威尔斯亲王有过一段情 |
[31:06] | I met her when the Duke entertained us at Sidmouth Castle. | 公爵招待我们去锡茅斯城堡 也见过她 |
[31:10] | How do you two know each other? | 你俩怎么认识的 |
[31:12] | We used to be neighbors, in a way. | 我们以前算是邻居吧 |
[31:21] | Is something the matter? | 有什么不对吗 |
[31:24] | It’s the way the Americans lay a table. | 美国人摆餐具的方式 |
[31:26] | I can’t get used to it. | 我不习惯 |
[31:28] | Does that make me sound provincial? | 我听起来很老派吗 |
[31:30] | I’m sorry they didn’t get it right. | 没摆对是他们的错 |
[31:32] | If I were hosting the dinner, I can promise you, I would. | 换成我是主办人 绝不会出这种错 |
[31:35] | Is that an invitation, Mrs. Russell? | 该不会是在邀请我吧 |
[31:37] | Oh, let’s see how tonight goes. | 看你今晚的表现囉 |
[31:40] | You have a house in Newport, don’t you? | 听说你们在纽波特有别墅 |
[31:43] | I’m supposed to be visiting there to stay with the Wintertons. | 我原定待在‥温特顿伉俪别墅 |
[31:48] | You don’t sound very enthusiastic. | 您好像不怎么热中 |
[31:50] | To be honest, I don’t know how I got roped into it. | 我也是一时糊涂接受邀请 |
[31:52] | But I would like to see the town. I’ve heard so much about the place. | 有机会的话我想到处参观纽波特 |
[31:55] | Then why not come and stay with us instead? | 不如改到我家住吧 |
[31:59] | We have two children, not much younger than you. | 我有一双子女与您年纪相仿 |
[32:01] | – If only I could. – Of course you can. | -可以的话就好了 -那有什么问题 |
[32:04] | The Wintertons won’t mind. | 温特顿家不介意这种事 |
[32:05] | I’ll give a dinner and ask them. They won’t be offended. | 我请他们吃晚餐时顺便问 他们不会生气的 |
[32:08] | They’ll probably be relieved. | 搞不好还乐得轻松 |
[32:10] | – Do you really think so? – Absolutely. | -你真这么想 -当然是 |
[32:22] | I find the campus invigorating. | 校园里到处充满活力 |
[32:24] | It reminds me of my days at the Institute in Philadelphia. | 让我想起在费城求学的往事 |
[32:28] | All of the young, colored students working towards their dreams | 黑人莘莘学子努力实现梦想 |
[32:31] | whether or not they come true, it’s still just so full of hope. | 不论成功与否 至少充满希望 |
[32:34] | That’s exactly how you should describe it in your paper. | 这些都该写进你的报导 |
[32:38] | It’s impressive, I agree, but we must remain impartial | 我同意确实不同凡响 但是我们必须保持中立 |
[32:40] | And not be unduly influenced by you or this delicious dinner. | 不能过份受你个人 或这顿美味晚餐影响 |
[32:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢讚美 |
[32:46] | I want to persuade Fannie to add a cooking class to our curriculum. | 我正在说服凡妮加开烹饪课 |
[32:49] | I teach plenty of useful classes. | 我教了很多门实用课程 |
[32:51] | Like what? | 比方说呢 |
[32:52] | We have a dressmaking division now. | 缝纫科系现已成立 |
[32:54] | The female students make uniforms that we actually sell. | 女学生做的制服还能出售 |
[32:57] | It’s created a source of revenue for the school. | 为学校开拓资金来源 |
[32:59] | And trains the students for higher paying domestic work | 培训学生从事较高薪的家务 |
[33:02] | if they can’t get a teaching job. | 若无法谋得教职的话 |
[33:04] | I’ll show you while you’re here. | 我打算带你去看看 |
[33:05] | Of course, the girls will be in awe of what you’re doing. | 女学生一定会对你敬佩不已 |
[33:09] | In awe because? | 敬佩的原因是 |
[33:10] | That’s something they could never imagine for themselves. | 她们绝无可能从事记者工作 |
[33:12] | Well, I blush at the idea that anyone would want to be me. | 我脸都红了 居然有人想成为我 |
[33:17] | I was once at a state dinner for the Bey of Egypt | 我有次参加埃及贝伊的国宴 |
[33:20] | and there was an armed coup just after the pudding. | 刚上完布丁就上演武装政变 |
[33:22] | – You can’t be serious! – I certainly am. | -你开玩笑的吧 -半句不假 |
[33:24] | All the servants vanished | 仆人全跑光 |
[33:26] | and eventually, I went to look for the cheese | 我和法国外交官夫人 |
[33:27] | with the wife of the French ambassador | 想找起司吃 |
[33:30] | and instead, we were met with bayonets. | 却找到刺刀相向 |
[33:31] | Oh, goodness. Well, I think it’s safe to assume | 天啊 |
[33:33] | you’ll make it through tonight’s dinner alive. | 别担心 今晚筵席不会有生命危险 |
[33:36] | Are you willing to promise? | 你敢保证 |
[33:37] | I promise we’ll get past the cheese. | 上起司前绝对安全 |
[33:40] | So the pudding’s safe then? | 也吃得到布丁 |
[33:44] | So what did Aurora tell you about me? | 奥萝拉是怎么跟你说我 |
[33:46] | Just that your family’s complicated like every other family I know. | 说你的家世复杂 跟我认识的所有人一样 |
[33:51] | He is using me to do business and keep his own name out of it. | 他利用我做生意 避免自己染上污名 |
[33:55] | Can’t you just tell him no? | 不能拒绝他吗 |
[33:57] | Could you tell your father no when he was alive? | 若令尊还在世 你敢拒绝他吗 |
[34:00] | I wish I could help. | 真希望我能帮你 |
[34:06] | Now, I applaud what you’re doing, but can’t you teach them to fight? | 我敬佩你的作为 为何不教学生抗争 |
[34:10] | They may gain a degree here | 等他们学成回到白人世界 |
[34:12] | but in the white world, these proud students | 再骄傲的学生 |
[34:14] | must learn to creep and crawl before they’re allowed to exist. | 也得卑躬屈膝才能生存 |
[34:17] | Our lives aren’t so different. | 北方其实没太大不同 |
[34:19] | Things may be worse in the South | 南方或许情况较恶劣 |
[34:20] | but even in New York, we enter through the back door. | 在纽约我们也得从后门进出 |
[34:23] | We’re not welcome in the white stores | 白人店家和餐厅 |
[34:24] | or restaurants or anywhere else. | 都不欢迎我们 |
[34:26] | I’ve been asked to make the characters in my stories white in order to be published. | 出版商还要求我 把笔下角色改成白人 |
[34:30] | Maybe, but you can still earn a living as a writer. | 至少你还能写作维生 |
[34:33] | What does a colored dairy farmer trained in Tuskegee do when the white man won’t pay a fair rate? | 若白人不愿公平交易 塔斯基吉培训的黑人酪农也没辙 |
[34:37] | Why not sell to a colored man? | 为何不卖给黑人 |
[34:39] | Because that man is probably just a sharecropper and can’t afford it. | 黑人可能是个买不起的佃农 |
[34:42] | Until we demand our rights as full citizens | 未争取到完整公民权前 |
[34:44] | we won’t get anywhere. | 我们不会有出路 |
[34:45] | Of course I understand your anger, Mr. Fortune. | 我理解你的愤怒 福顿先生 |
[34:49] | Do you think I don’t feel it? | 你以为我感受不到吗 |
[34:52] | But it doesn’t work down here. | 你的方法在这里行不通 |
[34:54] | To build Tuskegee into what it is now | 塔斯基吉学院之所以有今天 |
[34:56] | I have had to make peace with the white folk. | 是我跟白人协商来的 |
[34:59] | The white men terrorize colored folks in these parts | 南方白人恣意虐待黑人 |
[35:01] | and no one does anything. | 却没人起身反抗 |
[35:02] | I’m not making deals with the white people who terrorize us. | 我不跟虐待黑人的白人协商 |
[35:05] | How can you tell the difference? | 如何分辨孰是孰非 |
[35:11] | You were a slave, and so was I. | 我俩都曾经为奴 |
[35:14] | How do you make peace with people who bought and sold us? | 你怎能跟买卖我们的白人协商 |
[35:18] | Who branded us like cattle, whipped us on Saturday | 把我们当畜牲打烙鞭笞 |
[35:20] | then sat in church on Sunday without a morsel of shame? Some may keep silent, | 隔天还去做礼拜毫无羞愧之心 有些人之所以噤声 |
[35:23] | Mr. Fortune because they tried it your way and they got killed for their trouble. | 是因为用了你的方式却因而丧命 |
[35:30] | I don’t mean to scare you, Miss Scott. | 我无意吓你 史考特小姐 |
[35:32] | You’re only telling the truth. | 你是实话实说 |
[35:33] | But what if you ever stop playing their game? | 何不拒绝顺从白人 |
[35:36] | If you stop being calm and keeping the peace. | 别再默不出声 委曲求全 |
[35:39] | We are opening the largest building in Tuskegee. | 我们即将启用 塔斯基吉最大的建物 |
[35:42] | It will hold offices, a kitchen | 内有办公室 厨房 |
[35:45] | living space for students and faculty. | 学生和教职员的生活空间 |
[35:48] | You don’t get that by picking fights. | 反抗就不会有此成就 |
[35:50] | Well, I think that the Tuskegee School | 我认为塔斯基吉学院 |
[35:52] | is a political argument in itself. | 本身就是政治发声 |
[35:54] | Can’t you see that you both want the same things? | 你俩的目标一致 |
[35:57] | It’s only your methods that differ. | 只是用的手段不同 |
[35:59] | I just know I’m unwilling to make nice | 我无法跟以虐人为乐者 |
[36:01] | with people who lynch at will. | 和平共处 |
[36:06] | Mrs. Washington, this is delicious. | 华盛顿夫人 谢谢招待 |
[36:07] | You have outdone yourself. | 你的手艺真是了得 |
[36:09] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:33] | Oh, I’m sorry to wake you so early. | 抱歉一大早吵醒你 |
[36:37] | – Is something wrong? – No. | -有问题吗 -没有 |
[36:39] | I just had a thought last night. | 我昨晚想到一件事 |
[36:41] | It’s about a new angle for our article. | 我们可以换个角度来报导 |
[36:43] | Well, what is it? | -说说看 |
[36:44] | You know, everyone we’ve talked to so far | -我们目前采访的对象 |
[36:46] | has had to speak in front of Mr. Washington. | 都有华盛顿先生在场 |
[36:49] | What if we speak to some of the students without him there | 不妨私下采访学生 |
[36:51] | so they can say what they really think | 听其真实心声 |
[36:52] | about what a day at Tuskegee means to them | 畅谈在塔斯基吉受教的意义 |
[36:54] | and how their education will affect them later in life? | 以及对未来人生的影响 |
[36:57] | You see, Miss Scott, I knew I brought you down here for a reason. | 史考特小姐 我就知道带你来有用 |
[37:02] | Well, a student’s day at Tuskegee starts now. | 立刻去校园采访吧 |
[37:11] | Let’s go! | 走吧 |
[37:17] | So you all do this every morning? | 你们每天早上都做这些 |
[37:20] | Only on the mornings when we want to eat, sir. | 回先生 只在想用餐才做 |
[37:23] | Is dairy farming your main study? | 酪农是你的主修吗 |
[37:25] | We get to do a bit of everything. | 我们什么都学一点 |
[37:27] | I’m only just back on farming. | 我最近才回归农作 |
[37:29] | Before, I was building the new dormitory y’all are here for. | 之前则是参与宿舍楼工程 |
[37:32] | You built it yourself? | 你自己盖的 |
[37:33] | Me and the other students. It was part of our masonry class. | 还有其他学生 是砖瓦工技课程内容 |
[37:36] | So it was an actual assignment? | 所以是课程实作 |
[37:38] | Yeah, that’s how it tends to work at the school. | 对 学校课程大多如此 |
[37:41] | For instance, we plant the crops in the morning | 例如我们早上农耕 |
[37:43] | and then examine the soil that afternoon. | 当天下午就检验土壤 |
[37:46] | You ain’t been around a cow before? | 你没看过牛吗 |
[37:48] | Not this close. | 没这么近看过 |
[37:50] | New Yorkers like to look at animals, but they don’t touch them much. | 纽约人爱看动物 不怎么爱碰就是了 |
[37:53] | Would you like me to teach you to milk her? | 要我教你挤牛奶吗 |
[37:55] | Oh, I don’t think so. | 不用了吧 |
[37:56] | We’re only here to write an article. | 我们是来写报导的 |
[37:58] | Oh, go for it, Miss Scott. | 试试看嘛 |
[38:00] | When are you ever going to get another chance? | 错过了机会不再 |
[38:02] | Certainly not on 61st Street. | 六一街可没这等好事 |
[38:08] | All right. | 好吧 |
[38:11] | – So, you have to pull real hard. – All right. | 尽可能用力挤 |
[38:13] | Don’t worry. You won’t hurt her. | 别担心 不会弄痛母牛 |
[38:19] | I did it. | 我挤出来了 |
[38:21] | You sure did. | 恭喜啊 |
[38:22] | Thank you. Oh, what’s your name? | 谢谢‥还没请教大名 |
[38:25] | David Sturt, ma’am. | 我叫大卫史特 |
[38:26] | Well, thank you, David. | 谢谢你 大卫 |
[38:37] | You’d never think a clock had so many pieces. | 没想到闹钟的零件这么多 |
[38:39] | I would. | 我知道 |
[38:40] | Shouldn’t you just give it up and buy a new one? | 放弃吧 买新的不就得了 |
[38:42] | Oh, you wait. | 等着看吧 |
[38:44] | It may have gone off during dinner, but now he knows why. | 虽然在晚餐时失误响起 但现在知道原因了 |
[38:47] | Don’t you, Jack? | 对吧 杰克 |
[38:49] | Is she right, John? | 真的吗 |
[38:50] | Are you on the track of the answer? | 你快研究出答案了 |
[38:52] | I think so. | 应该是吧 |
[38:54] | I think the problem is with the escape wheel | 我想问题出在擒纵轮 |
[38:57] | what they call the escapement. | 即所谓的擒纵器 |
[38:59] | If the oil is thickening on it | 上面的机油变稠 |
[39:00] | it could be slowing down the movement. | 机芯就走得比较慢 |
[39:01] | You’re talking like a scientist. | 你说话像个科学家 |
[39:03] | He’s talking like a clockmaker, which is more to the point. | 该说是像钟表匠才更贴切 |
[39:06] | But what can you do about it? | 你能怎么改善 |
[39:08] | Well, I’m trying to improve the escape wheel | 我要改良擒纵轮 |
[39:09] | so it runs without oil. | 不上油也能走 |
[39:11] | Good luck with that, I don’t think. | 最好你能做得到啦 |
[39:14] | Not so fast. | 话别说太早 |
[39:15] | Let’s just be patient and see how it turns out. | 就耐心看他有何进展 |
[39:20] | I’m off, my dear. | 亲爱的 我出门了 |
[39:25] | Oh, where are you off to? | 你上哪里去 |
[39:27] | I have a fitting at 11, so I’ll see you at luncheon. | 我约好十一点试衣 我们午餐见 |
[39:30] | Before you go, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you. | 先等等 我有事想跟你说 |
[39:33] | I would have said it sooner | 我本想早点说的 |
[39:35] | but I didn’t want to spoil the dinner with the Duke. | 怕坏了你跟公爵晚宴的兴致 |
[39:38] | I’m listening. | 请说 |
[39:39] | Mrs. Astor has asked us to surrender our box at the Academy. | 阿斯特夫人要我们让出学院包厢 |
[39:44] | What? Why? | 这‥为什么 |
[39:45] | Something about your past career being too different | 说你以前的职业 |
[39:48] | from the wives of the other box-holders. | 跟其他夫人落差太大 |
[39:51] | But how did she know that? | 她怎么知道的 |
[39:52] | How did she know what? | 知道什么 |
[39:56] | That I worked, at one time | 我以前算是 |
[39:57] | as a sort of companion to Mrs. Russell. | 罗素夫人的陪护 |
[40:02] | Mrs. George Russell? | 乔治罗素夫人吗 |
[40:04] | I’d no money. I had to survive somehow. | 我当时没钱 总得设法谋生 |
[40:08] | I thought I told you. | 我以为告诉过你 |
[40:09] | Maybe you did. | 或许吧 |
[40:11] | But what is wrong with being a companion, anyway? | 但当陪护有什么不对的 |
[40:15] | Many ladies of insufficient means do exactly the same. | 一些不富有的小姐都做过 |
[40:17] | Of course they do. | 您说的是 |
[40:20] | But why did Mrs. Russell need a companion when she had her husband to keep her company? | 罗素夫人已经有丈夫了 何需聘请陪护 |
[40:26] | Well, that was why I left. | 那正是我离职的原因 |
[40:30] | I suppose she must have mentioned it… | 她大概跟阿斯特夫人提及此事 |
[40:34] | but she couldn’t have known Mrs. Astor would react so badly. | 没想到引起这么大的反弹 |
[40:37] | No, she can’t have expected that. | 她当然没想到了 |
[40:42] | Pretzels. | 椒盐脆饼 |
[40:44] | It was my boyhood dream. | 那是我的童年梦想 |
[40:46] | To be a duke? | 当公爵吗 |
[40:47] | More that I wanted to be king. | 我认为比当国王好 |
[40:49] | Of any particular country? | 你想当哪国公爵 |
[40:51] | I hadn’t worked out the details. | 没想那么多 |
[40:54] | I was eight. | 我当时才八岁 |
[40:56] | You do make me laugh, Mr. van Rhijn. | 凡瑞恩先生 您真逗趣 |
[40:59] | Oh how I need that after a day of contracts and stock certificates. | 整日与契约股票为伍 实在很需要笑一下 |
[41:03] | My head is spinning. | 我头好晕 |
[41:05] | I hate being part of it. | 实在很讨厌这样 |
[41:08] | I even thought of doing what you said. | 甚至想听从你的建议了 |
[41:10] | Remind me of my sage advice. | 我建议了什么 |
[41:13] | To tell him no. | 跟他说不 |
[41:15] | I just have to summon the courage to do it. | 只是我得鼓起很大勇气 |
[41:24] | What if I could help? | -若我说能帮你呢 -怎么个帮法 |
[41:27] | – How? – I am a banker. | 我从事银行业 |
[41:29] | I might be able to do something. | 或许能想点办法 |
[41:36] | – Murderer! – Murderer! | -杀人凶手‥ |
[41:40] | Robber Baron! | -强盗资本家‥ |
[41:43] | Are you facing a strike in Pittsburgh, Mr. Russell? | 您匹兹堡工厂正酝酿罢工吗 |
[41:47] | Will you keep on ignoring your workers’ demands? | 打算继续无视工人请求吗 |
[41:49] | Murderer! | 杀人凶手 |
[41:50] | You’ve got blood on your hands, Mr. Russell! | 你的手沾满血‥ |
[41:59] | Why must I be the villain in every story? | 为什么媒体都把我当坏人 |
[42:02] | I employ thousands of men. | 我提供数千就业机会 |
[42:03] | I have lifted whole towns out of poverty. | 让整个城镇脱离贫穷 |
[42:06] | And yet I’m the tyrant who crushes the faces of the poor. | 却把我说成是欺压穷人的暴君 |
[42:13] | I’m told they have a date set for the strike. | 据说罢工日期已定 |
[42:15] | Pinkerton’s men say the same, and it’ll be soon. | 跟平克顿打听到的一样 而且就快了 |
[42:18] | We’re ready whenever it comes. | 我们已经做好准备 |
[42:19] | We have defenses around the mills across the river | 对岸工厂周围已设好防护 |
[42:22] | and we’ve enough scabs to keep production running. | 不参与罢工者足以维持产量 |
[42:24] | Let me be clear, Mr. Russell | 请您三思 罗素先生 |
[42:25] | the strikers will do whatever it takes to keep the scabs out. | 罢工者会千方百计阻止他人上工 |
[42:29] | The governor has given me his word. | 州长跟我说好了 |
[42:31] | His militia will get the scabs into the mills. | 他会派民兵护送工人到工厂 |
[42:33] | We hope. | 但愿如此 |
[42:35] | They won’t fight against armed men. | 他们不敢对抗武装人员 |
[42:38] | They will if they’re armed themselves. | 自己也有武装的话就难说了 |
[42:46] | Hello, Mrs. Blane is expecting me. | 你好 我来见布连夫人 |
[42:48] | Thank you, I can take care of Mr. Russell. | 谢谢 我来接待罗素先生 |
[42:50] | I’m sorry I’m late, but I’ve got the carriage right here | 抱歉迟到了 马车就在外面 |
[42:52] | and Mrs. Fish won’t mind. | 费许夫人不会介意的 |
[42:55] | You haven’t changed. | -你还没更衣 |
[42:57] | I’m not going to the dinner. | -我不去了 |
[42:59] | What is it? Are you ill? | 怎么了 身体不适吗 |
[43:03] | And why are we standing in the doorway? | 为何站在门口 能进去说吗 |
[43:04] | – Can’t I come in? – I’d rather you didn’t. | 你还是别进来比较好 |
[43:09] | Then may I have an explanation? | 可以告诉我原因吗 |
[43:12] | I think we should call a halt. | 我们别再继续下去了 |
[43:14] | I don’t understand. | 我不懂 |
[43:16] | We should stop seeing each other. | 我们别再见面了 |
[43:18] | No damage has been done. | 以免造成伤害 |
[43:20] | Nothing that won’t be forgotten within a week. | 一周后就能淡忘 |
[43:22] | But if we continue as we were, things might get complicated. | 要是继续下去 情况会变得复杂 |
[43:25] | Yes, they will get complicated | 确实会变得复杂 |
[43:28] | because we’re going to be married and live together until we die. | 因为我们会结婚 并且白头偕老 |
[43:32] | Please, Larry. You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be. | 求求你别让分手搞得这么难 |
[43:35] | I think it needs to be damned difficult. | 本来就不是容易的事 |
[43:37] | What prompted it? Tell me. | 告诉我 为何会突然这样 |
[43:42] | Was this because of my mother? | 因为我母亲吗 |
[43:44] | Do you want me to take her on? Because I will. | 我可以跟她抗议 |
[43:46] | Don’t. | 不要这样 |
[43:48] | It won’t be any good. | 这对谁都没好处 |
[43:50] | – Then what can I do? – Nothing. | -那要我怎么做 -都别做 |
[43:53] | There’s nothing to be done. | 一切已无法挽回 |
[43:55] | We had a fling. | 我们有过短暂私情 |
[43:58] | We enjoyed it, at least I did. | 至少我很享受这段时光 |
[44:01] | Now it’s time for us to move on with our lives. | 现在该回归各自的人生 |
[44:04] | Here I was thinking we had a future but no… | 我还傻傻以为会有未来 |
[44:08] | Goodbye, Larry. | 再见了 赖瑞 |
[44:10] | Look after yourself, and please try to be kind when you think of me. | 好好保重 将来想起时请别责怪我 |
[44:16] | Wait! | 开门哪 |
[44:35] | For the beauty of the earth | “为大地之美” |
[44:41] | For the glory of the skies | “为天上荣耀” |
[44:47] | I’m sorry. | -对不起 -为何道歉 |
[44:49] | – For what? – For laughing in church. | 我在教堂发出笑声 |
[44:51] | The Lord likes to see you laugh. | 主喜欢看见你笑 |
[44:54] | I know I do. | 至少我喜欢 |
[44:55] | It feels sacrilegious. | 感觉像亵渎了神 |
[44:58] | I promise you, He won’t mind. | 我保证主不会介意 |
[45:02] | Do you know Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dunkin? | 你认识劳勃邓金伉俪吗 |
[45:06] | They sit about three pews behind you and your sister. | 他们坐在你们姐妹后面三排 |
[45:10] | Do you know where all of your parishioners sit? | 你记得每个教友的座位 |
[45:14] | Mostly… | 大部分记得 |
[45:16] | Yes. | 好吧 都记得 |
[45:18] | What was it you were saying about the Dunkins? | 刚才说邓金伉俪怎么了 |
[45:20] | Oh, they offered me their box for the Academy of Music next Tuesday. | 他们邀我下周二到学院包厢听剧 |
[45:26] | How generous. | 他们人真慷慨 |
[45:28] | It is generous… | 没错 |
[45:30] | and it makes me feel like a real New Yorker | 让我真正融入纽约人的生活 |
[45:36] | I was wondering if you would like to come? | 我想问你是否愿意一起去 |
[45:42] | Goodness. | 天啊 |
[45:45] | How kind. | 谢谢你的邀请 |
[45:48] | It’s to be Aida. Have you heard it? | 戏码是”阿依达” 你听过吗 |
[45:51] | I know it’s very moving. | 听说故事很感人 |
[45:54] | It’s a love story. | 是个爱情故事‥ |
[45:56] | Well, of course it’s a tragic love story. | 是悲剧收场的爱情故事 |
[46:05] | – What do you say? – Well… | 你愿意吗 |
[46:07] | I ought to check with Agnes… | 我得先问一下爱格 |
[46:11] | but… | 然而‥ |
[46:17] | I’d love to come. | 我很想去 |
[46:21] | Thank you very much. | 真是很谢谢你 |
[46:26] | Good. So, I’ll collect you at six. | 太好了 那么我六点去接你 |
[46:35] | Forgive me… | 原谅我 |
[46:38] | I have another question to ask you. | 我想再问你一件事 |
[46:41] | What is it? | 什么事 |
[46:44] | I was going to ask you after the opera, but I can’t wait. | 我原打算听完歌剧问的 但实在等不及了 |
[46:53] | What are you… | 你这是在‥ |
[46:55] | Will you marry me, Miss Ada Brook? | 艾达布鲁克小姐 你愿意嫁给我吗 |
[47:04] | Yes. | 我愿意‥ |
[47:07] | Yes, Mr. Luke Forte. | 路克弗特先生 |
[47:11] | Yes, I will. | 我愿意嫁给你 |
[47:46] | Please, give my compliments to Mrs. Bauer. | 帮我讚美鲍尔太太的手艺 |
[47:49] | I will, ma’am. | 我会的 夫人 |
[47:53] | Thank you, Bannister. | 谢谢你 班尼斯特 |
[48:12] | I heard from the Duke. | 公爵联络我了 |
[48:13] | He says he’ll stay with us when he comes to Newport. | 他说去纽波特时会来住我们家 |
[48:16] | – Really? – Really. | -真的呀 -对 |
[48:17] | And you know what it means? | 你知道这代表什么 |
[48:19] | My first event there will be the talk of the whole town. | 我在纽波特办的首场宴会 将成为全镇焦点 |
[48:21] | We won’t have a single refusal unless people are at death’s door. | 今后不怕死的人才敢拒绝我们 |
[48:25] | And even then, they may take up their beds and walk. | 快死的也会吓得从床上弹起 |
[48:27] | You’ve never said if you liked him. | 你还没说喜不喜欢这人 |
[48:30] | To be honest, it doesn’t take much to make a duke likeable. | 光公爵头衔就足以讨人喜欢了 |
[48:33] | But yes, I like him. | 我是挺欣赏他的 年轻不守旧 |
[48:34] | He’s young, unstuffy, and more polite than I expected. | 比我想像中的客气 |
[48:38] | And what will Mrs. Winterton make of all this? | 温特顿夫人会怎么想 |
[48:41] | Or don’t you care? | 还是你不在乎 |
[48:43] | Should I care about the feelings of a former lady’s maid | 我干嘛在乎企图勾引我丈夫 |
[48:45] | who attempted to seduce my husband? | 前任侍女的想法 |
[48:49] | May I find hope in your use of the word attempted? | 你说”企图”表示原谅我了 |
[48:52] | It was never her claim that hurt me but your silence. | 令我伤心的不是她说什么 而是你默不作声 |
[48:57] | Will you forgive me now? | 那你原谅我了吗 |
[48:58] | If I do, enjoy it. | 若我原谅你就好好珍惜 |
[49:02] | There will be no more forgiveness | 敢再像这样瞒我 |
[49:03] | if you hide any such thing from me again. | 绝不宽待 |
[49:18] | I’ve missed you, my darling. | 我好想你 亲爱的 |
[49:21] | You can’t know how much. | 你不知我想得多苦 |
[49:24] | I haven’t been anywhere. | 我又没有离开过 |
[49:30] | Oh yes, you have. | 可是你的心不在 |
[50:00] | Aurora, my dear. Look at this. | 亲爱的 你看看 |
[50:06] | We’d better get our skates on, Mr. Borden | 要招待白金汉公爵 |
[50:08] | If we’re to host the Duke of Buckingham. | 手脚可得加快了 波登大厨 |
[50:12] | Oh, my. | 天啊 |
[50:15] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[50:16] | Apparently, Mrs. Russell is to entertain an English duke | 罗素夫人将在纽波特住处 接待一位英国公爵 |
[50:19] | at her home in Newport. | 大惊小怪 |
[50:21] | Please. | 求你 |
[50:22] | He is to be the guest of Mr. and Mrs. George Russell in Newport. | “公爵将于纽波特 成为罗素伉俪座上嘉宾” |
[50:28] | She’s giving a dinner in his honor. | “届时夫人将举办迎宾晚宴” |
[50:30] | Perhaps we’ll be invited? | 我们也会受邀吧 |
[50:33] | First, she has me thrown out of the Academy! | 先是把我踢出学院 |
[50:36] | And now this! | 现在又来这招 |
[50:37] | My dear, please don’t upset yourself… | 亲爱的 别这么生气 |
[50:39] | I will upset myself! | 我当然要生气 |
[50:41] | And I’ll upset Mrs. George Russell if it’s the last thing I do! | 就算死我也要搞得罗素家鸡犬不宁 |
[50:45] | Enid, there will be other dukes… | 伊妮 公爵又不止他一个‥ |
[50:48] | I don’t want other dukes! I want this duke! | 我不要其他公爵 我就要这个 |
[50:50] | We found him, and he’s mine! | 他是我们找到的 是我的人 |
[50:54] | But that witch has stolen him from me! | 那个恶婆娘竟敢抢走我的人 |