时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:59] | She’s a thief! | 她是个贼 |
[02:00] | Mrs. Astor has taken my Duke of Buckingham. | 阿斯特夫人把我的公爵偷走了 |
[02:03] | Some people would say you took him from Mrs. Winterton. | 你也从温特顿夫人手里偷走他 |
[02:05] | Mrs. Winterton drapes herself with her husband’s old money | 她不过是靠丈夫的钱装阔 |
[02:08] | when she was pressing my underwear a year ago. | 一年前还在帮我熨内衣 |
[02:10] | She has no need of dukes. | 她哪里需要公爵? |
[02:11] | The fact remains he’s been passed around like an old shoe. | 说穿了他像只旧鞋任人传来传去 |
[02:13] | I’m serious, George. | 我没在开玩笑,乔治 |
[02:15] | He says he’s afraid his plans for the opening night have changed. | 他来信说开幕当晚计划有变 |
[02:18] | We knew it was coming. | 这也是预料中的事 |
[02:20] | Haven’t you got your committee today? | 你今天开委员会打算公布吗? |
[02:22] | – Will you tell them? – No, and nor will you. | 你今天开委员会打算公布吗? |
[02:23] | – Will you tell them? – No, and nor will you. | 不会,你也不准说 |
[02:26] | Won’t Mrs. Astor trumpet it abroad? | 阿斯特夫人肯定会大肆喧嚷 |
[02:28] | Then we must trumpet louder. | 那我们就嚷得更大声 |
[02:30] | When you talk like that, you make me quite nervous. | 你这样说话,我听了会紧张 |
[02:34] | Good. | 那就好 |
[02:40] | So the long and short of it is that I’m ruined. | 简而言之,我这辈子毁了 |
[02:43] | Well, there is a little left. | 只剩下一点财产 |
[02:44] | And if you sell this house and find a more modest lodging | 若卖掉房子,找便宜的地方住 |
[02:48] | perhaps a little further downtown. | 比方说离市区远一点 |
[02:50] | In the Jewish quarter. | 就是犹太人区 |
[02:52] | Agnes, don’t start with your nonsense. | 爱格,现在不是说傻话的时候 |
[02:54] | With sensible investments, you will have an income to live on. | 若投资合宜,尚可支付生活所需 |
[02:57] | It will not be luxurious, but you won’t be destitute. | 虽称不上富裕,也不至于一贫如洗 |
[03:01] | I must find some loose Arab clothing. | 看来得找些宽松的阿拉伯服装 |
[03:04] | I believe you can put it on without a maid. | 不需人服侍即可穿上 |
[03:07] | I’ll discuss this with whoever manages your affairs. | 我再跟您的财产管理人商量一下 |
[03:10] | My son has managed my affairs until now. | 至今都是我儿在管理财产 |
[03:13] | – He will not do so in future. – Mama, I don’t know how many times | 今后不许他再碰我的钱 |
[03:14] | – He will not do so in future. – Mama, I don’t know how many times | 妈妈,我已经道歉好几次了 |
[03:16] | – What do I care that you’re sorry? – I can say I’m sorry. | 妈妈,我已经道歉好几次了 |
[03:17] | – What do I care that you’re sorry? – I can say I’m sorry. | 不管道歉几次都没用 |
[03:20] | You ruin your mother and tip your family into the dirt! | 你毁了你老母,连累全家一起吃土 |
[03:23] | You throw away the work of centuries! | 一下子败光几百年家产 |
[03:32] | Thank you, Mr. Harcourt. | 谢谢您,哈寇先生 |
[03:33] | May I suggest that we meet again | 等我们仔细考量后再找您谈吧 |
[03:35] | when we have considered all of the implications? | 等我们仔细考量后再找您谈吧 |
[03:38] | Of course, I am at your service. | 没问题,随时等候差遣 |
[03:42] | Mr. Harcourt is leaving. | 哈寇先生要回府了 |
[03:45] | I’m not sure it’s quite professional to say so | 这么说虽有违我职业分际 |
[03:48] | but you did not deserve this. | 我实在为您抱不平 |
[03:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[03:57] | So this is to be the end of my story. | 我的人生结局竟是如此 |
[04:00] | I survive my feckless brother | 先兄一事无成 |
[04:02] | and marry a man who was not easy | 我忍痛嫁给暴戾的丈夫 |
[04:05] | so that I might live a life that was dignified and secure. | 只为求有尊严,有保障的生活 |
[04:09] | But instead I am to be turned out of my house | 到头来却得搬出祖厝 |
[04:11] | to beg for my bread on street corners? | 沦落到街头要饭 |
[04:14] | – Aunt Agnes, Oscar didn’t… – Oscar didn’t what, make inquiries? | -爱格姑妈,奥斯卡他没…… -没怎样,小心求证? |
[04:17] | Check Ms. Beaton’s history? | 弄清彼顿小姐的来历? |
[04:19] | Take the usual precautions that any sane housewife would take | 连一般家庭主妇买面包前都会先检查 |
[04:23] | just to order a loaf of bread? No, you’re right. He didn’t. | 连一般家庭主妇买面包前都会先检查 |
[04:25] | just to order a loaf of bread? No, you’re right. He didn’t. | 你说对了,他啥也没做 |
[04:28] | I wish you had told me earlier. | 你应该早点告诉我 |
[04:32] | I only heard this from Oscar the night that… | 奥斯卡告诉我时……是路克过世那晚 |
[04:34] | That Luke left us. | 奥斯卡告诉我时……是路克过世那晚 |
[04:36] | As it is, I felt guilty asking you to come here | 所以我不忍请你过来听哈寇先生说明 |
[04:40] | and Mr. Harcourt. | 所以我不忍请你过来听哈寇先生说明 |
[04:41] | I’m glad I was here. | 幸好我来了 |
[04:43] | – The loss concerns us all. – Doesn’t it just? | 这事跟大家都有关 |
[04:45] | – The loss concerns us all. – Doesn’t it just? | 可不是吗 |
[04:47] | It may be better than you say. | 情况也许没那么糟 |
[04:50] | This house must be worth a great deal. | 这栋房子肯定值不少钱 |
[04:52] | Yes. | 对呢 |
[04:53] | It’s a wonder Oscar spared it. | 没把房子赔掉真是奇迹 |
[04:56] | I must just accept the fact that my good fortune has ended. | 我必须接受事实,好运已经用尽了 |
[05:00] | Plenty of other people have had to do the same. | 许多人最后也会走上这条路 |
[05:03] | I just thank heaven we’ve settled on a date for Marian’s wedding | 谢天谢地玛丽安的婚期已敲定 |
[05:06] | though how we’re to pay for it, I can’t imagine. | 只是这下子负担不起婚礼了 |
[05:10] | Of course, Dashiell may pull out | 当然啦,达许可能会临时反悔 |
[05:12] | and not want to be linked to this doomed House of Usher. | 不想跟我们这没落之家有所牵连 |
[05:16] | I’m going upstairs. | 我上楼去了 |
[05:25] | Your mother will survive this | 你母亲会熬过去的 |
[05:27] | even if she doesn’t know it. | 她还不自知罢了 |
[05:29] | She may survive | 就算她熬得过去 |
[05:31] | but I’m not sure I will. | 我可能熬不过去 |
[05:34] | We won’t meet again before the opening | 今天是开幕前最后一次开会 |
[05:36] | and no doubt there’ll be dramas to contain between now and then | 在那之前想必偶尔会横生枝节 |
[05:40] | but it behooves me to thank you all for the efforts you’ve made | 在此我仍得感谢各位的付出 |
[05:44] | and to commend our hostess, Mrs. George Russell | 并表扬我们的主持人罗素夫人 |
[05:48] | for her triumphant campaign to fill our boxes | 在她大力奔走下,我们的包厢已全数售罄 |
[05:52] | with what will be a dazzling display of home-grown, New York splendor. | 届时将坐满纽约本地名流,冠盖云集 |
[06:02] | That was very gratifying. | 成果挺不错的 |
[06:04] | I’m always rather frightened by your mother | 我一直有点害怕令堂 |
[06:06] | but she has done well. | 但她确实非常能干 |
[06:07] | I suppose. | 我想是吧 |
[06:08] | Though why she should be thanked | 或许不该只感谢她 |
[06:09] | when I’m sure they’ve all worked just as hard I couldn’t say. | 其他人也付出了同等心力 |
[06:13] | I should introduce you. This is Billy Carlton. | 我来介绍一下,这位是比利卡顿 |
[06:15] | Mrs. Charles Fane. | 这位是芬恩夫人 |
[06:17] | Are you one of Ms. Russell’s suitors? | 你也是罗素小姐的追求者? |
[06:20] | – I’d like to be. – Don’t be silly. | 我确有此意 |
[06:21] | – I’d like to be. – Don’t be silly. | 少乱说了 |
[06:22] | Mr. Carlton and I meet at dances. That’s all. | 我跟卡顿先生,在舞会上见过几次而已 |
[06:25] | I see, part of the daily rounds. | 原来如此,不过日常行程罢了 |
[06:33] | I’ve seen you in Newport, too. We have a place there. | 我在纽波特也见过你 |
[06:35] | I’ve seen you in Newport, too. We have a place there. | 我家在那儿有房子 |
[06:36] | You were at Mr. McAllister’s party. | 你去了麦卡里斯特先生的派对 |
[06:39] | I was going to ask you to dance. | 我原想邀你共舞 |
[06:41] | Why didn’t you? | 怎么没行动? |
[06:45] | Well, I think we’re in the clear | 我想大势已底定 |
[06:46] | and Mrs. Astor will just have to lump it. | 阿斯特夫人只能认输了 |
[06:48] | Don’t speak too soon. | 话别说得太早 |
[06:50] | I should tell you that I have leaked the name of your guest of honor. | 对了 |
[06:51] | I should tell you that I have leaked the name of your guest of honor. | 我已对外揭露当晚贵宾身份 |
[06:54] | – Why did you do that? – Why not? | -怎么可以?-有何不可呢 |
[06:56] | The news has put the icing on the cake. | 此消息有如锦上添花 |
[06:58] | The last tickets went in a flash. | 票券立刻抢购一空 |
[07:00] | Every box will be full, largely thanks to you. | 包厢全数坐满 |
[07:02] | Every box will be full, largely thanks to you. | -都要感谢您 -万一公爵来不了呢? |
[07:03] | – But suppose the Duke doesn’t come? – Well, don’t say that. | -都要感谢您 -万一公爵来不了呢? |
[07:04] | – But suppose the Duke doesn’t come? – Well, don’t say that. | 别说这种话,很多人同时在学院也有包厢 |
[07:05] | A lot of the people who have taken our boxes | 别说这种话,很多人同时在学院也有包厢 |
[07:07] | also have one at the Academy. | 别说这种话,很多人同时在学院也有包厢 |
[07:09] | They’ll go where they think he’ll show up. | 他们会依公爵去向做决定 |
[07:11] | You must know Mrs. Astor’s trying to poach him. | 阿斯特夫人也在争取他出席 |
[07:13] | Then you have to convince them you’re more likely to deliver. | 那你得表现出势在必得的样子 |
[07:16] | Now, I mean it, Mrs. Russell. They must believe you and not her. | 这可不是开玩笑的 |
[07:17] | Now, I mean it, Mrs. Russell. They must believe you and not her. | 你必须比对方更可信才行 |
[07:20] | Excuse me. | 先失陪了 |
[07:28] | Thanks for coming. | 你来了真好 |
[07:29] | You were good to lend me your support. | 感谢你前来支持我 |
[07:31] | I was glad to. | 不用客气 |
[07:32] | Does this mean that we can expect you at the Met on opening night? | 这表示你当天会出席大都会开幕? |
[07:35] | I’m not sure. | 还不确定 |
[07:36] | Charles wants us to join you. | 查尔斯想加入你们 |
[07:39] | And what do you want? | 你的意思呢? |
[07:40] | Just to stop being so frightened by Mrs. Astor. | 我只想别再惧怕阿斯特夫人 |
[07:44] | I’m not a brave person. | 我没那么勇敢 |
[07:47] | I’m afraid I was taken in. | 是我上当受骗了 |
[07:49] | All investments are a risk to some extent | 投资总是有风险的 |
[07:51] | All investments are a risk to some extent | 这次算奥斯卡运气不好 |
[07:52] | and Mr. Oscar was unlucky. | 这次算奥斯卡运气不好 |
[07:53] | I was the one who was unlucky. | 运气不好的是我 |
[07:56] | What a catastrophe. | 真是太糟糕了 |
[07:58] | How long will we have to prepare? | 我们还剩多久可准备? |
[08:00] | You’re welcome to stay until the house is sold. | 房子卖掉前你们都可以留着 |
[08:02] | – When will that be? – Bridget. | -何时会卖掉?-布莉琪 |
[08:04] | We can’t know, so if you find a job sooner | 还不知道,若遇到好的工作就赶快接 |
[08:06] | – then you must take it. – Now, wait just a moment. | 还不知道,若遇到好的工作就赶快接 |
[08:07] | – then you must take it. – Now, wait just a moment. | 用不着那么急 |
[08:09] | So we will continue with our work until things become clearer. | 在事态明朗前,我们会如常工作 |
[08:13] | Thank you, Bannister. | 谢谢你,班尼斯特 |
[08:17] | Back to work, everyone. | 大家快回去工作 |
[08:20] | We’ll have to wait and see. | 先观望一阵子吧 |
[08:23] | Oh, how precious. | 好可爱啊 |
[08:24] | – What an angel. – Thank you. | -宝宝真可爱 -谢谢 |
[08:29] | It’s nice to see you two. | 你们来了真好 |
[08:32] | Oh, did you say hello to Mrs. Fortune on her way out? | 在门口跟福顿夫人打过招呼吗? |
[08:34] | Was that her with the child? | -带着孩子那位?-对 |
[08:36] | Yes, she needs me to cut down the clothes she was wearing | -带着孩子那位?-对 |
[08:36] | Yes, she needs me to cut down the clothes she was wearing | 她来找我把孕期穿的衣服改窄 |
[08:38] | when the baby was waiting to be born. | 她来找我把孕期穿的衣服改窄 |
[08:40] | I assumed you’d know her, working at her husband’s paper. | 你们认识吧,你在她先生报社工作? |
[08:43] | No, we haven’t met. | 不认识,我们还没见过 |
[08:46] | You and Mr. Fortune did us such a great service | 你跟福顿先生在报上,把校委会说明得真好 |
[08:48] | with your article on the school board. | 你跟福顿先生在报上,把校委会说明得真好 |
[08:50] | We now have so many pupils ready to enroll | 现已招募到许多学童 |
[08:53] | there isn’t any way they can close our doors. | 谅谁也不能关闭校园 |
[08:55] | Now all we need to do is convince the board. | 现在只剩下说服教委会 |
[08:58] | – I owe you a favor, Ms. Scott. – I only wrote about the agreement | 这都要感谢你 |
[08:59] | – I owe you a favor, Ms. Scott. – I only wrote about the agreement | 我只是如实报道您和爱裔社群的合作 |
[09:00] | you forged with the Irish community. | 我只是如实报道您和爱裔社群的合作 |
[09:03] | If the schools stay open, you’ll have yourself to thank. | 若校园得以存留,是您自己的功劳 |
[09:05] | I see modesty runs in the family. You sound just like your mother. | 原来谦虚是会遗传的 |
[09:07] | I see modesty runs in the family. You sound just like your mother. | 你的口气跟令堂真像 |
[09:10] | Come on in back with me. | 我们去后面谈 |
[09:11] | We still need to get our arguments together to present to the board. | 我们得准备好对教委会的说词 |
[09:14] | We have most of what we need, but it must be sorted and organized. | 资料都找齐了,只是要整理一下 |
[09:17] | Oh, I can help with that. | 我来帮忙吧 |
[09:20] | Here’s one. | 这里有一个 |
[09:22] | “Wanted experienced senior housemaid | 诚征有经验资深女佣 |
[09:25] | seeking promotion to housekeeper.” | 有意晋升为女管家 |
[09:28] | That means they’d like a housekeeper, but they don’t want to pay for one. | 意思是想找女管家,却不想花大钱 |
[09:32] | – Anyway, you’re too young. – Oh, what about this? | 反正你也太年轻了 |
[09:34] | – Anyway, you’re too young. – Oh, what about this? | 那这个呢? |
[09:35] | “Experienced butler, preferably English…” | 诚征有经验管家,英国人尤佳 |
[09:39] | Oh, it’s in Chicago. | 地点是芝加哥 |
[09:41] | There’s nothing wrong with Chicago. | 芝加哥没啥不好 |
[09:43] | Except it’s not New York. | 比不上纽约 |
[09:45] | Mr. Bannister, surely, one of Mrs. Van Rhijn’s friends… | 夫人肯定认识需要管家的人 |
[09:48] | You’re very quiet. | 你怎么一整天都没说话? |
[09:49] | – You have been all day. – And with your accent. | 你怎么一整天都没说话? |
[09:51] | – I didn’t want to bother you. – Bother me with what? | -我不想打扰你 -什么事会打扰我? |
[09:55] | I got a letter from the Patent Office. | 我收到专利局的信 |
[09:58] | They’ve approved my application. | 我的申请通过了 |
[10:00] | Oh, but that’s wonderful! | 那真是太好了 |
[10:02] | Oh, I’m so pleased for you, Jack. | 真为你感到高兴,杰克 |
[10:05] | – You’ll see. – How was your day, Ms. Scott? | 史考特小姐,你呢? |
[10:07] | Have you told your mother what’s happened here? | 告知令堂这里的情况? |
[10:09] | No, | 还没说 |
[10:09] | I didn’t want to say anything until I know what I’m going to do. | 我先想好下一步再跟她说 |
[10:12] | Ms. Scott will manage. She still has her job at The Globe. | 史考特小姐没问题的 |
[10:14] | Ms. Scott will manage. She still has her job at The Globe. | 她还有环球报的工作 |
[10:16] | You’ll be all right, too, Mrs. Bauer. | 你也会没事,鲍尔太太 |
[10:18] | I’d say you and Bridget will be asked to stay on. | 你跟布莉琪应该可以留下 |
[10:21] | If they don’t want to starve. | 以免夫人挨饿 |
[10:23] | – Have you any news, Ms. Armstrong? – I’m too old, I’m afraid. | 阿姆斯壮小姐有好消息吗? |
[10:24] | – Have you any news, Ms. Armstrong? – I’m too old, I’m afraid. | 恐怕我年纪太大了 |
[10:28] | It’s hard to say, but that’s the bitter truth. | 虽难以启齿,却是残酷的事实 |
[10:30] | I’ll be the one to starve. | 我才是会挨饿的人 |
[10:35] | What about you, John? Any luck? | 你呢,约翰? |
[10:36] | What about you, John? Any luck? | 有好消息吗? |
[10:39] | Not in that way. | 有……但不是找工作 |
[10:40] | What do you mean? | 什么意思? |
[10:42] | He’s been given his patent! | 他的专利通过了 |
[10:45] | – Oh, I’d say! – Jack! | -我就知道 -太棒了 |
[10:47] | The world has taken leave of its senses. | 这个世界神智不清了 |
[10:49] | Oh, don’t listen to her. It’s excellent news. | 别听她的 |
[10:50] | Oh, don’t listen to her. It’s excellent news. | 这真是太好了 |
[10:52] | – What will you do now? – I’m not sure. | 接下来打算怎么做? |
[10:53] | – What will you do now? – I’m not sure. | 我也不知道 |
[10:55] | You’ll have to find another $20. | 你得再筹二十美元 |
[10:57] | Oh, don’t you worry about that. We’ll help you figure it out. | 别担心,我们会帮你想办法 |
[11:10] | Don’t fall. | 小心别摔倒 |
[11:15] | Mr. Borden, your jacket is drenched. | 波登先生,你的外套湿透了 |
[11:19] | Are you back already? | 这么早就回来了? |
[11:20] | I suppose you were caught in the storm. | 雨这么大,还以为你们回不来了 |
[11:23] | Weren’t we just, Ms. Andre. | 就差一点,安德烈小姐 |
[11:25] | They plowed on with an overture by Mendelssohn | 他们勉强演奏了门德尔松的序曲 |
[11:27] | but gave up in the end, so we walked home. | 后来还是取消了 |
[11:28] | but gave up in the end, so we walked home. | 于是我们走回家 |
[11:30] | Well, I’m glad if Mendelssohn is coming back into fashion. | 很高兴门德尔松又开始流行 |
[11:32] | I’m not sure we can say that. | 倒也不见得 |
[11:34] | But at least they’re playing him again. | 至少又开始演奏他的作品 |
[11:36] | What a disappointment. | 真是可惜 |
[11:37] | Next time, you must find a proper concert hall. | 下次记得找个室内演奏厅 |
[11:41] | I should get on. | 我先去忙了 |
[11:48] | So Ms. Scott thought you should consult me? | 史考特小姐建议来问我? |
[11:50] | She mentioned it, yes, and it seemed like a good idea. | 她是说过,我觉得很有道理 |
[11:53] | I’m flattered | 承蒙你们看得起 |
[11:54] | or I would be if I could understand what makes your clock different. | 请跟我说说,你的闹钟有何特殊之处 |
[11:57] | My new escapement makes sure the mechanism never sticks | 我的擒纵器能使机件不沾黏 |
[12:01] | so the clock stays right on time. | 确保闹钟恒久准时 |
[12:03] | – Because it needs no oil? – That’s it, sir. | 因为不需要上油? |
[12:04] | – Because it needs no oil? – That’s it, sir. | 正是如此 |
[12:07] | Well, I won’t pretend to know how it works | 原理我虽不完全懂 |
[12:09] | but I like your confidence. | 但我欣赏你的自信 |
[12:11] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢您,先生 |
[12:13] | Of course, an alarm clock is a simple thing. | 当然啦,闹钟只是个小东西 |
[12:18] | But it’s a simple thing that could find a place | 但全世界的卧房里,都少不了这个小东西 |
[12:19] | in almost every bedroom in the world. | 但全世界的卧房里,都少不了这个小东西 |
[12:21] | – So, what should he do next? – That’s why I need your advice, sir. | 他接下来该怎么做? |
[12:23] | – So, what should he do next? – That’s why I need your advice, sir. | 我需要您的建议 |
[12:25] | I have the patent, and my invention is protected | 我已申请到专利来保护这项发明 |
[12:28] | but I don’t know how to take it further. | 但不晓得如何推广 |
[12:30] | Do you? | 您知道吗? |
[12:31] | Not yet | 目前还没头绪 |
[12:33] | but I know people I can ask. | 我可以去问问认识的人 |
[12:35] | Thank you, sir. | 太感谢您了 |
[12:37] | It’s good of you even to consider it. | 您愿意考虑帮忙就很感激了 |
[12:40] | I should go. I need to get ready to serve dinner. | 我该走了,要回去服侍夫人用餐 |
[12:48] | I’ll be in touch when I have an idea. | 一有消息我再通知你 |
[12:58] | I should go, too. | 我也该回去了 |
[13:00] | Thank you for seeing John | 谢谢你愿意见约翰 |
[13:02] | and please give my regards to your mother. | -请代我向令堂问好 -我会的 |
[13:04] | – I will. – I gather she’s lost her duke? | -请代我向令堂问好 -我会的 |
[13:05] | – I will. – I gather she’s lost her duke? | 听说公爵换边站了 |
[13:08] | Aunt Agnes thinks him very feeble. | 我姑妈认为他很容易动摇 |
[13:10] | Because Mrs. Astor talked him round? | 阿斯特夫人说动了他 |
[13:11] | I was told it was Mr. McAllister who arranged the switch. | 听说是麦卡里斯特先生安排的 |
[13:15] | He did the persuading. | 是他说动了公爵 |
[13:17] | Mr. McAllister, my mother’s friend? | 家母的朋友麦卡里斯特? |
[13:20] | Well, she never guessed that. | 她肯定料想不到 |
[13:24] | I hope we’ll see you at the opening night. | 希望到时能在开幕夜相见 |
[13:26] | I’d love it, but I’m afraid not. | 我也想,但恐怕不行 |
[13:28] | As you know, Aunt Agnes is very much on the other side in the war. | 爱格姑妈是另一边的坚定拥护者 |
[13:32] | I meant for you to join us. | 我是指你加入我们 |
[13:36] | I’m not sure I dare. | 我大概没那个胆 |
[13:38] | Well, you underestimate yourself, Ms. Brook. | 你太小看自己了,布鲁克小姐 |
[13:46] | It’s very nice of young Mr. Russell to want to help. | 罗素少爷愿意帮忙真是太好了 |
[13:49] | He’s just showing off. | 他就是爱现罢了 |
[13:50] | – I don’t agree. – Of course not. | 我不同意 |
[13:51] | – I don’t agree. – Of course not. | 还用说吗? |
[13:53] | Oh, I’ve asked Dashiell for dinner on Thursday. | 我请达许周四过来吃饭 |
[13:55] | We’ve seen so little of him lately. | 最近很少看到他 |
[13:57] | That’s only because of Uncle Luke | 因为姑丈刚过世,再加上奥斯卡…… |
[13:58] | and then, of course, Oscar’s unfortunate… | 因为姑丈刚过世,再加上奥斯卡…… |
[14:01] | Yes, we’ve talked quite enough about that. | 知道了,我已听到不想再听 |
[14:04] | – Mama… – Please don’t say you’re sorry. | -妈妈…… -拜托别再说抱歉了 |
[14:07] | No, I wanted to tell you I’ve had a dinner invitation | 我是想说,学院开幕当天我有约了 |
[14:10] | for the night of the Academy opening. | 我是想说,学院开幕当天我有约了 |
[14:11] | Then refuse it. | 那就推掉,说你很忙 |
[14:12] | – You’re busy. – What difference will it make | 那就推掉,说你很忙 |
[14:13] | – You’re busy. – What difference will it make | 我在不在场有何差别? |
[14:14] | – whether I’m there or not? – Oscar, you are going | 我在不在场有何差别? |
[14:15] | – whether I’m there or not? – Oscar, you are going | 奥斯卡,你得去学院剧院开幕夜 |
[14:16] | to the opening night at the Academy. | 奥斯卡,你得去学院剧院开幕夜 |
[14:18] | And if that sounds like an order, it should. | 若听起来像命令,那就是命令 |
[14:22] | Aunt Agnes, I’ve had an invitation, too | 爱格姑妈,我也有约了 |
[14:24] | and I’m very much afraid it will annoy you. | 而且恐怕会惹您不高兴 |
[14:26] | Why would I expect anything else? | 你何时担心过我不高兴 |
[14:28] | Agnes. | 爱格 |
[14:29] | The Russells have asked me to their box at the Met | 罗素家邀我到他们的,大都会包厢看开幕演出 |
[14:31] | – for the opening night. – The Met? | 罗素家邀我到他们的,大都会包厢看开幕演出 |
[14:32] | – for the opening night. – The Met? | 大都会,现在连全名都省了? |
[14:33] | Is that what we are now to call the Metropolitan? | 大都会,现在连全名都省了? |
[14:36] | I’d like to go. | 我打算跟他们去 |
[14:38] | Which Russell has invited you? | 罗素家哪位邀请你? |
[14:39] | I hope it wasn’t the son. | 希望不是她儿子才好 |
[14:41] | Mrs. Russell asked me. | 罗素夫人邀请我的 |
[14:43] | She would, to spite me. | 她这是存心刁难我 |
[14:47] | So my niece will be in the enemy camp. | 我侄女要加入敌方阵营了 |
[14:49] | You never made it a condition | 你又没规定玛丽安,一定要出席学院开幕演出 |
[14:51] | that Marian should be at the Academy for the opening. | 你又没规定玛丽安,一定要出席学院开幕演出 |
[14:54] | I want to see the new opera house. | 我想看看新剧院 |
[14:56] | And so you will throw over an old friend | 竟为此抛弃旧友,连头也不回 |
[14:58] | without a backward glance. | 竟为此抛弃旧友,连头也不回 |
[14:59] | The Academy isn’t my old friend. | 学院才不是我的旧友 |
[15:02] | I had never heard of it before I came to New York. | 我来纽约前根本没听说过 |
[15:04] | In our world, old friendships are hereditary. | 在我们的世界里,友谊是世袭来的 |
[15:13] | Mrs. Bruce, please ask Church | 布鲁斯太太 |
[15:14] | Mrs. Bruce, please ask Church | 请邱区务必在今天,把信交给麦卡里斯特先生 |
[15:15] | to have this delivered to Mr. McAllister | 请邱区务必在今天,把信交给麦卡里斯特先生 |
[15:17] | – before the end of today. – Of course, madam. | 请邱区务必在今天,把信交给麦卡里斯特先生 |
[15:18] | – before the end of today. – Of course, madam. | 是,夫人 |
[15:20] | Now, are you quite ready for the supper after the opera? | 歌剧结束后的晚宴准备得如何? |
[15:22] | We are, madam. | 都差不多了,夫人 |
[15:24] | May I ask what opera you’re going to hear? | 请问当天的剧码是什么? |
[15:27] | Faust. | 浮士德 |
[15:29] | Do you remember when Ms. Nilsson sang the “Jewel Song” here? | 还记得尼尔森小姐,那天唱的珠宝之歌? |
[15:31] | How could I forget? | 当然记得了 |
[15:33] | You enjoy music, then? | 你喜欢听音乐? |
[15:35] | I’ve learned to enjoy it, yes. Very much, as it happens. | 我学着听歌剧 |
[15:37] | I’ve learned to enjoy it, yes. Very much, as it happens. | 听着听着,就爱上了 |
[15:39] | But before Ms. Andre comes in | 在安德烈小姐上工前,我们得决定好她今后的去留 |
[15:41] | we need to make a decision as to whether she is to stay or go. | 在安德烈小姐上工前,我们得决定好她今后的去留 |
[15:44] | She’s good at every aspect of her job | 她在工作上无可挑剔 |
[15:46] | so if she’s not a troublemaker, then she can stay. | 为人也随和,就留下她吧 |
[15:48] | I’m glad that’s settled, ma’am. | 谢谢夫人,就这么定下了 |
[15:54] | That’s enough for today. | 今天先这样吧 |
[15:56] | You have to get to Brooklyn, and you don’t want to be late. | 你还得去布鲁克林,可别迟到了 |
[15:59] | Even with the Brooklyn Bridge. | 即使大桥已经开通 |
[16:01] | Can you tell Armstrong that I’ll need her help later this afternoon? | 请转告阿姆斯壮我下午要她帮忙 |
[16:04] | I must start sorting out what clothes I’ll need for my new life | 我得开始整理衣物,为新生活做准备 |
[16:08] | to which I am not looking forward. | 我可是一点也不期待 |
[16:11] | I don’t think she’s looking forward to her new life, either. | 我想阿姆斯壮也有相同感觉 |
[16:15] | What do you mean, Ms. Scott? | 这话是什么意思呢? |
[16:17] | Only that she’s frightened by the thought of change. | 我是指她对改变心生恐惧 |
[16:20] | But I dare say the others are frightened, too. | 但其他人也一样害怕 |
[16:23] | Mrs. Forte, ma’am. | 二位夫人,我先告退了 |
[16:27] | Whatever happens to Armstrong, she doesn’t deserve Ms. Scott’s pity. | 阿姆斯壮不值得史考特小姐的同情 |
[16:31] | Not after all the things she’s said. | 她说过那么多伤人的话 |
[16:34] | She is a pathetic figure who uses her prejudices like a crutch. | 她这人很可悲 |
[16:35] | She is a pathetic figure who uses her prejudices like a crutch. | 总用偏见助长自己威风 |
[16:39] | We can all pity her for that. | 这点倒值得人人同情 |
[16:44] | You came. | 你来了 |
[16:46] | I received your summons. | 夫人召唤,我当然要来 |
[16:48] | Of course, I came. | 夫人召唤,我当然要来 |
[16:49] | I wanted to hear your explanation. | 我想听你的解释 |
[16:52] | Because the Duke has changed sides? | 因为公爵换边站了? |
[16:55] | I rather thought it was you who had changed sides. | 那还不都是因为你 |
[16:58] | Larry told me it was you who talked him around. | 赖瑞说是你说服他这么做 |
[17:00] | I spoke to him, yes. | 我确实跟他谈过 |
[17:02] | How sad. | 真令人伤心 |
[17:04] | Foolishly perhaps, I believed you were my friend. | 我还傻傻地把你当朋友 |
[17:07] | I am your friend | 我是你的朋友 |
[17:09] | but I am also Mrs. Astor’s friend | 但我也是阿斯特夫人的朋友 |
[17:12] | and that is what I am known for. | 大家都知道我跟她交情好 |
[17:16] | Did he make matters easy? | 很容易说服他吗? |
[17:18] | The Duke is in a difficult spot. | 公爵也很为难 |
[17:20] | Difficult to live, perhaps, but not to understand. | 应该说无以为继吧,谁都看得出 |
[17:22] | He has a high position, great estates | 有贵族身份,房产众多,名声响亮 |
[17:24] | fine titles, a castle in Devon, and a palace in London | 有贵族身份,房产众多,名声响亮 |
[17:25] | fine titles, a castle in Devon, and a palace in London | 在德文有城堡,在伦敦住宫殿 |
[17:27] | but not enough money to keep it all going. | 却不够钱维持生活花费 |
[17:29] | An accurate summation. | 真是一针见血 |
[17:32] | So how much did he cost? | 你们花多少钱买他? |
[17:34] | There’s no point in that. | 你知道了也没用 |
[17:37] | – Why? – She’s giving him more than money. | -为什么?-阿斯特夫人不只给他钱 |
[17:40] | She’ll open New York for him. | 更帮他打入纽约社交圈 |
[17:43] | She’s opening America. | 甚至是全美国 |
[17:45] | He wants to know these people | 他想结交权贵 |
[17:47] | and she can give them to him more than you can. | 阿斯特夫人的人面比你广 |
[17:52] | So he will get what he wants, her opening will be a triumph | 结论是,公爵达成目的 |
[17:54] | So he will get what he wants, her opening will be a triumph | 阿斯特夫人大获全胜 |
[17:57] | and you will accept a box at the Academy. | 你只能乖乖接受学院包厢 |
[18:02] | You’re very sure of yourself. | 瞧你一副自信满满 |
[18:04] | With respect, Mrs. Russell | 恕我直言,罗素夫人 |
[18:06] | I’ve been at this game rather longer than you. | 论权力游戏,我可是玩得比你久 |
[18:10] | But McAllister already explained why offering more money won’t work. | 麦卡里斯特都说了加码给钱也没用 |
[18:13] | It’s worth a try. | -还是值得一试 -宝莎 |
[18:14] | Bertha, we have spent a great deal on the Metropolitan. | -还是值得一试 -宝莎 |
[18:15] | Bertha, we have spent a great deal on the Metropolitan. | 我们已经为大都会花了不少钱 |
[18:18] | – I’d say we have spent enough… No! – But… | -我认为够了 -但…… |
[18:19] | – I’d say we have spent enough… No! – But… | 我说不行 |
[18:20] | This greedy young man can go his own way. | 别理会那贪心的小子 |
[18:23] | You have a wonderful new opera house | 你的新剧院美轮美奂,卡司一流 |
[18:24] | an excellent cast and everything people could ask for. | 你的新剧院美轮美奂,卡司一流 |
[18:25] | an excellent cast and everything people could ask for. | 人人梦寐以求的剧院 |
[18:27] | The presence of one duke more or less won’t matter. | 不差一个公爵来或不来 |
[18:30] | – You should have more faith. – So I can’t outbid her? | 要有自信 |
[18:32] | – You should have more faith. – So I can’t outbid her? | 所以我不能出更多钱? |
[18:34] | You won’t outbid her, as McAllister has pointed out. | 是不会出更多钱 |
[18:35] | You won’t outbid her, as McAllister has pointed out. | 麦卡里斯特都说了 |
[18:39] | I promise | 我保证…… |
[18:41] | it will be a great success without him. | 就算没有公爵也一样会成功 |
[18:44] | Maybe. We’ll see. | 或许吧 |
[18:45] | Maybe. We’ll see. | 等着瞧 |
[18:48] | I’ll keep some simple things for the evening | 我打算留下几件简单的晚装 |
[18:50] | but there’s so much here I will never wear again. | 我打算留下几件简单的晚装 |
[18:51] | but there’s so much here I will never wear again. | 大部分礼服我大概不会再穿了 |
[18:55] | I can’t put them in the missionary barrel | 这些华裳不能捐给教会 |
[18:57] | and they’re too fine to just throw away. | 这些华裳不能捐给教会 |
[18:58] | and they’re too fine to just throw away. | 但是丢掉又太可惜 |
[19:01] | I could pack them carefully with moth balls and tissue | 那就塞樟脑丸,用布仔细包起来 |
[19:05] | and store them in the attic. | 然后存放在阁楼 |
[19:07] | – Just in case. – But suppose we don’t have an attic? | -或许临时要穿 -要是新家没阁楼呢? |
[19:11] | Everything is going to be quite different for us now. | 往后很多事都不一样了 |
[19:13] | You’ll still have your friends. | -您还有朋友啊 -是没错 |
[19:16] | Yes, and at first, they’ll try to pretend | 一开始他们会假装不在乎我家道中落 |
[19:18] | that our loss of fortune makes no difference. | 一开始他们会假装不在乎我家道中落 |
[19:20] | But it won’t be long before we start to slip and slide. | 不久后就会渐行渐远了 |
[19:25] | What about you, Armstrong? | 你呢,阿姆斯壮? |
[19:26] | Have you found a new place yet? | 找到新东家了吗? |
[19:29] | I don’t know what I’m going to do. | 我不知道以后该怎么办 |
[19:32] | Well, which of us does? | 没人知道该怎么办 |
[19:35] | But we have been down bumpy roads before, you and I | 你我之间或许曾有间隙 |
[19:40] | and we’ve got past them. | 但那都过去了 |
[19:43] | Would you like to come with us? | 不如你继续跟着我们吧 |
[19:46] | What? | 什么? |
[19:48] | You’ll be working for nobodies | 我即将变成没落贵族 |
[19:49] | and I can’t pay much | 我即将变成没落贵族 |
[19:50] | and I can’t pay much | 付不起像样的薪水 |
[19:51] | or make any promises when it comes to how we’ll live. | 付不起像样的薪水 |
[19:52] | or make any promises when it comes to how we’ll live. | 也无法保证能过什么样的日子 |
[19:55] | But you’re welcome, if you would like to try it. | 也无法保证能过什么样的日子 |
[19:56] | But you’re welcome, if you would like to try it. | 如果你想试试看的话,就继续跟着我们吧 |
[19:59] | Yes, ma’am, I would. | 回夫人,我愿意 |
[20:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[20:05] | But why have you changed your mind? | 您为何改变主意了? |
[20:08] | Have I? | 我有吗……或许吧 |
[20:09] | Perhaps I have. | 我有吗……或许吧 |
[20:11] | It was something Ms. Scott said. | 大概因为史考特小姐说的话 |
[20:14] | Ms. Scott? | 史考特小姐? |
[20:17] | What would she have to say about me? | 她对我还有啥可说的? |
[20:20] | Why? Don’t you like the idea that she would have sympathy for you? | 怎么,难不成还嫌她同情你? |
[20:28] | I’ve had a lot of success with this. | 这款药效非常良好 |
[20:30] | It’s salicylic acid | 内含水杨酸,但已去除苦味 |
[20:32] | but they’ve got rid of the bitterness. | 内含水杨酸,但已去除苦味 |
[20:34] | – It’s good. – And you’re producing it? | -口感很好 -你们打算生产? |
[20:36] | Try it. Have this for nothing. | 这罐给你试试,不用钱 |
[20:38] | And now I should go. We have a school meeting. | 我该走了,得赶去开校务会议 |
[20:41] | What school meeting? Not the Educational Board. | 什么校务会议?跟教委会开会是明天 |
[20:43] | That’s set for tomorrow. | 什么校务会议?跟教委会开会是明天 |
[20:45] | But didn’t you get the note? | 你没接到通知吗? |
[20:46] | No, they’ve changed it. It’s today. seven o’clock, same place. | 会期改成今天了 |
[20:48] | No, they’ve changed it. It’s today. seven o’clock, same place. | 七点在老地方 |
[20:50] | Well, I guess we both know why I didn’t get a note. | 我俩都知道为何我没收到通知 |
[20:52] | And I would bet the other colored parents didn’t either. | 我敢说其他非裔家长也没收到 |
[20:55] | I’m afraid it’s your daughter’s article | 起因是令嫒那篇,爱裔与非裔合作的报道 |
[20:56] | about the Irish and colored people working together. | 起因是令嫒那篇,爱裔与非裔合作的报道 |
[20:59] | It seems to have ruffled some feathers. | 似乎惹得内部一些人不高兴 |
[21:01] | Yes, and your information has ruffled mine. | 你这番话也惹我不高兴 |
[21:07] | – James, lock up for me. – Yes, sir. | 詹姆士,店给你关 |
[21:09] | – James, lock up for me. – Yes, sir. | 是,老板 |
[21:14] | We must have all the facts laid out. | 要把所有事实整理出来 |
[21:16] | They won’t listen to our arguments unless they’re supported by facts. | 口说无凭,对方不会相信我们 |
[21:19] | This is another list of pupils ready for enrollment next term. | 这里有一张入学申请清单 |
[21:22] | That’s the most important argument of all. | 这是最强而有力的证据 |
[21:24] | How can they question that? | 看他们还有什么话说? |
[21:27] | Pardon me. | 借过 |
[21:32] | They’ve tricked us! | 我们被摆了一道 |
[21:34] | They’ve changed the meeting to this evening | 会期偷改成今天,好让我们无人出席 |
[21:35] | so that none of us will be there! | 会期偷改成今天,好让我们无人出席 |
[21:37] | Then we must go! | 那我们快点出发…… |
[21:39] | We must go now! | 快走吧 |
[21:40] | – What… I’m not sure we’re ready. – Bring everything. | -资料还没准备好 -那就全带着 |
[21:43] | I’ll leave you all to find your way there | 大家各自设法到场,我们立刻出发 |
[21:44] | but we have to go now. | 大家各自设法到场,我们立刻出发 |
[21:50] | Everybody, come on. Quickly, or we’ll all be late. | 动作快,否则会赶不上 |
[21:56] | Excuse me. | 请勿打扰 |
[21:57] | This is a private meeting. | 这是私人会议 |
[21:59] | Is this a meeting | 这场会议 |
[21:59] | to discuss the closure of the colored public schools? | 是讨论关闭公立非裔学校吗? |
[22:03] | These people have gathered today at… | 今天开会目的是…… |
[22:05] | Are you discussing the closure of the three colored public schools? | 你们在讨论关闭,三所公立非裔学校吗? |
[22:08] | Well, there are many other items on the agenda. | 议程上还有其他事项 |
[22:10] | Why was the time of the meeting changed from tomorrow? | 会期为何从明天改成今天? |
[22:13] | Today was found to be more convenient. | 今天开会比较方便 |
[22:16] | But why were we not informed? | 为何没通知我们? |
[22:17] | Many of us are parents of the children at those schools | 不少人还是学童家长 |
[22:20] | and yet, we were not told. Why is that? | 却没收到告知,请问为什么? |
[22:23] | It must have been an oversight. | 大概不小心遗漏了 |
[22:25] | Then, will you listen to our arguments? | 那么,我们可以发言吗? |
[22:27] | We have lists of pupils anxious to enroll | 有意申请入学者为数众多 |
[22:30] | too many for the schools to accommodate. | 甚至超过校园容纳范围 |
[22:32] | And we have applications from teachers | 还有许多教师,跃跃欲试申请本校任教 |
[22:34] | all keen to contribute. | 还有许多教师,跃跃欲试申请本校任教 |
[22:37] | This is most unorthodox. | 你们这样不符合程序 |
[22:38] | If we have more children than the schools can take | 既有超额学童申请入学 |
[22:41] | and more teachers than we need to guide them | 教师人数也超出所需 |
[22:44] | why are you closing them down? | 你们有什么理由关闭学校? |
[22:54] | We must consider the evidence. | 我们先看看证据再说 |
[23:09] | Mr. Montgomery. | 蒙哥马利先生到 |
[23:12] | Aunt Agnes and Aunt Ada are still getting dressed. | 二位姑妈都还在更衣 |
[23:14] | I’m glad to find you alone. | 能与你独处太好了 |
[23:16] | I know we haven’t seen much of each other lately. | 我俩最近确实很少见面 |
[23:18] | I understand. | 我能理解 |
[23:19] | What a terrible blow you’ve all had. | 近来你姑妈家遭逢变故 |
[23:22] | Will you go on teaching? | 你会继续教书吗? |
[23:24] | I’ll be dependent on it. | 我得依此维生 |
[23:26] | Aunt Agnes can’t continue my allowance. | 姑妈不能再给我零用钱了 |
[23:28] | Well, it won’t be for long. You’ll stop when we get married. | 再撑一会就好,婚后你就不用教书了 |
[23:32] | – Well, I thought… – I want you to have a lovely life | -可是我想…… -我会让你过上好日子 |
[23:35] | of entertaining and clothes and babies, eventually | 尽情参加宴会,身穿华服 |
[23:39] | of entertaining and clothes and babies, eventually | 时机成熟就生儿育女 |
[23:41] | and no work at all. | 完全不必工作 |
[23:44] | That would please Aunt Agnes. | 爱格姑妈会很高兴 |
[23:46] | And you, I hope. | 希望你也是 |
[23:48] | Did I hear you take my name in vain? | 有人在背后乱说我吗? |
[23:51] | How very nice to see you. | 真高兴看到你 |
[23:52] | Aunt Agnes. And Aunt Ada. | 爱格舅妈好 |
[23:54] | Aunt Agnes. And Aunt Ada. | 艾达阿姨,您还好吗? |
[23:55] | How are you managing? | 艾达阿姨,您还好吗? |
[23:57] | I’m bearing up. | 还挺得住 |
[23:59] | The thing I don’t understand is all the paperwork. | 最令我头疼的是一堆文书作业 |
[24:01] | I remember that with Harriet. | 哈丽叶过世时我也是 |
[24:04] | Luke was a straightforward man who lived a straightforward life. | 路克是个简单的人,过着简朴生活 |
[24:09] | And yet, there are so many forms to sign and documents to read. | 却还是有好多文件要签署跟详读 |
[24:12] | They’re piled up on my desk, waiting for me. | 现全堆在书桌上等着我 |
[24:15] | I do sympathize, but try not to leave it too long. | 我虽同情,劝您还是尽快完成 |
[24:19] | – Yes. – How is Frances? | -我知道 -法兰丝还好吗? |
[24:21] | Very well. | 很好啊 |
[24:22] | She’s properly settled in New York | 她已完全适应纽约生活 |
[24:25] | and I really think she’s starting to blossom. | 也渐渐开始长大成人 |
[24:28] | I often wonder what Harriet would make of her | 我常想,若哈丽叶还在世 |
[24:31] | this grown-up young lady that’s taken the place of her child. | 看女儿长大成人,不知做何感想 |
[24:37] | As you may know, things could not be worse with us. | 想必你也听说了我家的窘境 |
[24:40] | Aurora said. | 奥劳拉告诉我了 |
[24:42] | Might it make sense if I were to pay for the wedding? | 因此我自愿支付婚礼费用 |
[24:46] | I know it’s not customary. | 我知道这样不符合礼数 |
[24:49] | I am touched that your resolve is undimmed by our disaster. | 我太感动了,我们家道中落而你不离不弃 |
[24:53] | It’s kind of you to offer. | 谢谢你如此慷慨 |
[24:55] | Well, wouldn’t it help | 我希望二位安心,尽情享受哈丽叶的婚礼 |
[24:56] | for you to enjoy Harriet’s wedding without worrying? | 我希望二位安心,尽情享受哈丽叶的婚礼 |
[25:02] | Quite right. It is my dearest wish to see Marian happy. | 你说的对 |
[25:03] | Quite right. It is my dearest wish to see Marian happy. | 我们衷心希望玛丽安能幸福 |
[25:09] | Oh, and now that’s dinner. | 晚餐好了 |
[25:14] | Pleased to hear that Frances is doing so well. | 很高兴听到法兰丝过得好 |
[25:17] | She’s doing wonderfully. | 她每天都很快乐 |
[25:19] | She should be back at any moment. | 她应该快回来了 |
[25:21] | – Sarah. – Is it good news? | -莎拉,结果如何?-教委会怎么决定? |
[25:23] | – Tell us. – What did they say? | -莎拉,结果如何?-教委会怎么决定? |
[25:24] | They have decided to keep two of the schools open. | 有两间学校可以继续营运 |
[25:27] | I’m afraid they insist one must close to stop them from looking ridiculous. | 但他们坚持关掉一间 |
[25:29] | I’m afraid they insist one must close to stop them from looking ridiculous. | 否则就太没面子了 |
[25:32] | – But this is still a victory. – Yes. Hear, hear. | 然而我们还算成功 |
[25:34] | – But this is still a victory. – Yes. Hear, hear. | 说的没错…… |
[25:37] | So they won’t save all three when we did everything they asked? | 即使符合所有规定,还是不能留住三所学校? |
[25:40] | Two will survive. | 至少留住了两间 |
[25:42] | And now that we’re more conscious of the danger | 今后更加谨慎办学,发展得越来越好 |
[25:44] | I’m sure they’ll thrive. | 今后更加谨慎办学,发展得越来越好 |
[25:46] | – Yes. Hear, hear. – You should be glad. | -说的是 -你该高兴才是 |
[25:48] | We should all be glad. | 大家都该高兴 |
[25:50] | We should, we should indeed. Hear, hear. | -的确值得高兴 -恭喜啊…… |
[25:52] | – Congratulations, Mr. Brown. – We have you to thank, Arthur | -的确值得高兴 -恭喜啊…… |
[25:53] | – Congratulations, Mr. Brown. – We have you to thank, Arthur | 亚瑟,谢谢你及时揭发他们的诡计 |
[25:54] | for exposing their plan to shut us out. | 亚瑟,谢谢你及时揭发他们的诡计 |
[25:57] | She’s right, Father. | 我同意,父亲 |
[25:58] | I appreciate your praise. | 谢谢你们的赞美 |
[26:01] | I haven’t had too much of it lately. | 很久没听到有人赞美我了 |
[26:03] | She means what she says. | 她说的没错,今天多亏了你 |
[26:05] | You did good today. | 她说的没错,今天多亏了你 |
[26:07] | Congratulations, Mrs. Garnet. | 恭喜您了,嘉纳夫人 |
[26:08] | And to you, Ms. Scott. | 也恭喜你,史考特小姐 |
[26:13] | Congratulations, Ms. Scott. | 恭喜了,史考特小姐 |
[26:15] | Congratulations to us both. | 这是我俩合力的成果 |
[26:17] | The results weren’t perfect perhaps, but they’re good. | 虽不尽如人意,仍为美事一桩 |
[26:20] | And they show us what can be achieved when we try. | 证明了努力就会有成果 |
[26:23] | But the fight must go on. | 要努力的事还很多 |
[26:26] | And this has been a reminder | 这次的事证明,未来还有好长一段路要走 |
[26:27] | of how much work there is for us to do. | 这次的事证明,未来还有好长一段路要走 |
[26:29] | – You’re right. – Oh, excuse me. | 说的是 |
[26:31] | And nothing must get in the way of that. | 绝不能因故拖慢向前动力 |
[26:33] | Mr. Fortune, have you met Mr. Saunders? | 福顿先生,见过桑德斯先生了吗? |
[26:36] | – Not yet. – I’d like to introduce you. | -还没见过 -我来介绍一下 |
[26:38] | Please. Excuse us. | 当然好,失陪了 |
[26:40] | – Mr. Saunders, this is Mr. Fortune. – Mr. Saunders. | -这位是福顿先生 -桑德斯先生好 |
[26:44] | And this is Mrs. Saunders. | -这位是桑德斯夫人 -很荣幸认识二位 |
[26:45] | A pleasure to meet you both. | -这位是桑德斯夫人 -很荣幸认识二位 |
[26:47] | You look very pensive. | 你看起来心事重重 |
[26:51] | Maybe because I have come to a decision that will please you. | 因为我做了一个会让您高兴的决定 |
[26:55] | I hope it will please you, too. | 希望你自己也高兴 |
[26:57] | It won’t, but I know what I must do. | 我不会,但该做的还是要做 |
[27:01] | Are you coming home with us? | 你要跟我们回家吗? |
[27:02] | No, I should get back. | 不了,我该回去了 |
[27:04] | But I’ll see you soon. | 过阵子再来看您们 |
[27:11] | Goodnight. | 再见 |
[27:18] | Now, what can we offer you? | 还能招待你些什么? |
[27:19] | I think I’ll just go and leave you in peace. | 我就不打扰您们休息了 |
[27:22] | It was a lovely evening. | 谢谢招待 |
[27:24] | There will be many more. | 以后机会多的是 |
[27:26] | And don’t forget, you’re taking Marian to school in the morning. | 别忘了明天来接玛丽安去学校 |
[27:29] | – There’s no need. – Oh, there’s great need. | -不用了 -当然需要 |
[27:31] | In fact, I should do it every day. | 我应该每天来接送才对 |
[27:34] | – Good night. – Good night, Dashiell. | -晚安 -晚安,达许 |
[27:37] | And thank you. | 还有,谢谢你 |
[27:39] | You know for what. | 原因你知道的 |
[27:43] | How kind he is | 他人真好 |
[27:45] | and what a relief that the wedding is taken care of. | 真高兴婚礼费用解决了 |
[27:51] | I think I’ll go up now. | 我先上楼了 |
[27:53] | You’re not feeling ill? | 你没有不舒服吧? |
[27:54] | No, | 没有 |
[27:55] | No, I just need some time to think. | 我心里有事要想想 |
[27:57] | Of course, you do. | 我懂 |
[27:59] | I’ll say your good night to Agnes. | 我帮你跟爱格道晚安 |
[28:15] | Isn’t that a pretty picture? | 真是赏心悦目 |
[28:17] | I haven’t seen that smile of yours for some time now. | 我很久没看过你的笑容 |
[28:22] | – Arthur. – I’m serious. | 亚瑟 |
[28:23] | – Arthur. – I’m serious. | 我说真的 |
[28:28] | I didn’t think I’d ever see you | 还以为再也看不到你如此灿笑 |
[28:31] | smile like that again. | 还以为再也看不到你如此灿笑 |
[28:34] | At least not in my presence. | 至少在我面前 |
[28:37] | This has been a hard time for us. | 我俩近来处得不愉快 |
[28:43] | But I would like for things to be better between you and me. | 希望今后关系能逐渐修复 |
[28:49] | That’s all I want. | 我也希望如此 |
[29:07] | It’s very late, so we should eat our dinner. | 不早了,该吃晚餐了 |
[29:11] | Maybe I can get Ellen to fix us a festive dessert. | 叫爱伦弄些丰盛甜点 |
[29:15] | We have some celebrating to do. | 我们要庆祝一下 |
[29:40] | This shouldn’t be long. | 我去去就回 |
[29:48] | Are you ready? | 要走了吗? |
[29:49] | Frances is in the carriage. | 法兰丝在车上等 |
[29:52] | The thing is, Dashiell | 达许,我昨晚苦思了一整夜 |
[29:53] | I’ve been wracking my brain all night. | 达许,我昨晚苦思了一整夜 |
[29:56] | Oh, I hope this turns out well for me. | 希望结果对我是好的 |
[29:59] | I’m afraid you won’t think so. | 恐怕不是 |
[30:03] | Because… | 因为…… |
[30:07] | I cannot marry you. | -我不能嫁给你 -什么? |
[30:09] | What? | -我不能嫁给你 -什么? |
[30:10] | I can’t be your wife. | 我不能当你的妻子 |
[30:11] | It wouldn’t be right. I’m sorry. | 这样不对 |
[30:13] | It wouldn’t be right. I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[30:14] | But I thought you loved me. | 我还以为你爱我 |
[30:16] | I thought you loved Frances. | 我以为你爱法兰丝 |
[30:19] | I do love Frances | 我很爱法兰丝 |
[30:21] | and I am so sad if this is disappointing for her. | 我也很难过要让她失望了 |
[30:25] | Then why are you doing it? | 那为何执意如此? |
[30:26] | Because I don’t think we want the same things. | 因为我俩的目标不同 |
[30:30] | Or even the same life. | 人生方向也不同 |
[30:32] | I want a life like everyone else’s. | 我要的是跟别人一样的人生 |
[30:35] | But I don’t. | 但是我不要 |
[30:37] | Or not yet. | 至少时候未到 |
[30:39] | I want to do some good in the world before I settle down. | 我想在定下来前做些有益世人的事 |
[30:43] | I don’t understand. | 我不懂 |
[30:52] | Do you love me as much as you loved Harriet? | 你对我的爱像对哈丽叶一样深吗? |
[30:56] | – Be honest, please. – Harriet is dead. | 请诚实回答 |
[30:57] | – Be honest, please. – Harriet is dead. | 哈丽叶已经过世了 |
[30:58] | Of course. | 我知道 |
[31:01] | I know you’re lonely. | 我知道你很寂寞 |
[31:03] | I know you want a mother for Frances. | 想帮法兰丝找个妈妈 |
[31:06] | But in your heart, Harriet is still your wife. | 在你心中,哈丽叶仍是你的妻子 |
[31:10] | Well, you can’t stop loving people when you want to. | 对一个人的爱不可能说断就断 |
[31:14] | Nor should you. | 没必要断啊 |
[31:16] | But one day, you’ll meet a woman who’s not just a temporary solution | 将来你会遇到不是暂解相思的女性 |
[31:20] | who actually shares your dreams. | 两人拥有共同梦想 |
[31:24] | I want that for you, but I am not her. | 我希望你能找到 |
[31:26] | I want that for you, but I am not her. | 但那人不是我 |
[31:30] | You know it’s true. | 你心里也明白 |
[31:32] | Why didn’t you say this last night? | 那昨晚怎么不说? |
[31:36] | Dashiell, you are good. | 达许,你来了真好 |
[31:39] | Have you had any breakfast? May I get you some coffee? | 吃过早餐了吗? |
[31:40] | Have you had any breakfast? May I get you some coffee? | 要不要喝咖啡? |
[31:42] | No, I must… I’m afraid I must go, Aunt Ada. | 不用了,我该走了 |
[31:44] | No, I must… I’m afraid I must go, Aunt Ada. | 艾达阿姨,我…… |
[31:45] | I… | 艾达阿姨,我…… |
[31:47] | Frances is waiting for me. | 法兰丝还在等我 |
[31:50] | Agnes will be so sorry to miss you. | 爱格会很遗憾没见着你 |
[32:07] | He isn’t taking you to school? | 他不送你去学校? |
[32:09] | No. | 不送了 |
[32:14] | I suppose that means you’ve told him. | 想必你告诉他了? |
[32:18] | Told him what? | 告诉他什么? |
[32:21] | That you can’t marry him. | 你不能嫁给他 |
[32:26] | How… How did you know? | 您怎么……会知道? |
[32:29] | He isn’t really right for you. | 他不是对的人 |
[32:31] | You knew it and so did I. | 你我都心知肚明 |
[32:33] | Besides, he’s still in love with his wife. | 况且他还爱着亡妻 |
[32:35] | I saw it last night. | 我昨晚就看出来了 |
[32:37] | Aunt Agnes will be furious. | 爱格姑妈肯定会气炸了 |
[32:39] | Agnes has so much to make her furious just now. | 爱格现在有一大堆会气炸的事 |
[32:44] | You mustn’t let that trouble you. | 你现下不该以此为念 |
[32:48] | I didn’t love him enough. | 我对他的爱不够深 |
[32:51] | Not like you and Uncle Luke. | 不像您跟姑丈那样 |
[32:55] | That makes me proud. | 我真是欣慰 |
[32:57] | To be the rule by which you judge these things. | 能成为你判断爱情的指标 |
[33:01] | Oh, dear Aunt Ada. | 亲爱的艾达姑妈 |
[33:06] | – So, which is it to be? – Mrs. Fish. | 到底要听谁的? |
[33:08] | – So, which is it to be? – Mrs. Fish. | 费许夫人到 |
[33:10] | Which what? | 说什么? |
[33:11] | The Tribune says he’s going to the Met. | 论坛报说他要去大都会 |
[33:13] | The Times says he’ll be at the Academy. | 时报说要去学院 |
[33:16] | The Herald says Academy. | 先驱报说学院,太阳报说大都会 |
[33:18] | But The Sun says it’s the Met. | 先驱报说学院,太阳报说大都会 |
[33:20] | Trust you to read The Sun. | 你居然也看太阳报 |
[33:21] | Where else can I find all the divorces? | 不然怎知道谁又离婚了 |
[33:24] | He’ll be at the Academy | 他已答应出席学院 |
[33:27] | and he’s asked to make his own way there. | 他要求自行前往 |
[33:29] | He thinks to arrive with us would undermine his dignity. | 跟我们同时抵达有损他的尊严 |
[33:33] | Isn’t his dignity already a casualty of the arrangement? | 接受这种安排,尊严不早死光了? |
[33:38] | Well, are you sure he’ll come? | 你们确定他会来吗? |
[33:40] | Because I could always go to the Met. | 我随时可改去大都会 |
[33:42] | Where I suppose you also have a box. | 想必你在那里也有包厢 |
[33:45] | He’ll come. He can’t afford not to. | 他会来的,否则就亏大了 |
[33:48] | Mrs. Fish, I can assure you, the matter is settled. | 费许夫人,我敢保证大势已定 |
[33:53] | You will find the Duke at the Academy of Music. | 公爵当晚会出席学院歌剧院 |
[34:16] | Thank you for allowing me to come up | 谢谢您允许我上楼 |
[34:18] | although, I’m not sure what it will do for my reputation. | 只怕这么做有损我的名誉 |
[34:20] | You flatter me. | 您太抬举我了 |
[34:22] | How did you know I was staying at the Union? | 怎么知道我住联合饭店? |
[34:24] | I make it my business to know these things. | 这类事我通常都会知道 |
[34:29] | Mrs. Russell, you did not have to ride all the way to 39th Street | 夫人无须专程来三九街,斥责我不讲信用 |
[34:32] | to tell me I have behaved badly. | 夫人无须专程来三九街,斥责我不讲信用 |
[34:34] | I know I have, and I apologize, but… | 我自知理亏,只能向您道歉 |
[34:37] | You can’t afford to turn her down. | 你没办法拒绝对方 |
[34:39] | You must understand that a great many people depend on me. | 我身负众人期许,还请谅解 |
[34:42] | I’m sure of it. | 我想也是 |
[34:44] | And so they will for many years to come. | 想必接下来几年都会如此 |
[34:47] | I can only hope so. | 但愿如此了 |
[34:48] | Shall we sit down? | 坐下来谈吧 |
[35:05] | Why aren’t you going to marry my father? | 老师为何不跟我爸结婚了? |
[35:09] | Why did you change your mind? | 为什么改变主意? |
[35:16] | Sometimes, you don’t understand a situation at first. | 人有时候一开始会搞不清状况 |
[35:21] | But when you think about it properly, you realize… | 等仔细一想,你会发现…… |
[35:25] | that it’s just not right. | 这样不对 |
[35:28] | Not for him, not for me. | 对他不好,对我也不好 |
[35:33] | So won’t we see each other anymore? | 我们不能再见面了吗? |
[35:35] | Out of school, I mean. | 我是指在校外 |
[35:36] | Of course, we’ll see each other. | 我们当然会再见面 |
[35:38] | I want to follow every stage of your life | 我想参与你每个成长过程 |
[35:42] | and dance at your wedding with joy. | 在你的婚礼上开心跳舞 |
[35:47] | You don’t not love us, then? | 您还是会爱我们罗? |
[35:49] | I love you a lot. | 我很爱你 |
[35:52] | I love your father, too | 我也爱你父亲 |
[35:53] | just not quite as a wife should love a husband. | 但不是妻子对丈夫那种爱 |
[35:57] | But I pray that one day | 祈祷有一天 |
[35:59] | we’ll all three be as happy as can be. | 我们三人都能过着幸福的日子 |
[36:03] | Now you better go, or you’ll be late for mathematics. | 快去吧,免得数学课迟到了 |
[36:14] | There’s nothing else you need? | 还有其他的吗? |
[36:16] | Nothing, ma’am. Everything’s ready. | 没有了,一切准备就绪 |
[36:17] | Thank you, Adelheid. | 你先下去吧,雅德海 |
[36:19] | Oh, Billy’s asked if he can visit our box | 比利想在第三四幕时来包厢找我 |
[36:21] | – for the third or fourth act. – No. | 比利想在第三四幕时来包厢找我 |
[36:22] | – for the third or fourth act. – No. | 不可以 |
[36:23] | But you like the Carltons. | 您也喜欢卡顿家的 |
[36:25] | – You like his mother. You said so. – I hardly know them. | 您说对他母亲印象很好 |
[36:26] | – You like his mother. You said so. – I hardly know them. | 我跟他们不熟 |
[36:27] | And we’ll be entertaining our own guests in the intervals. | 况且席间你要帮我招待宾客 |
[36:29] | I want you there. | 况且席间你要帮我招待宾客 |
[36:30] | Billy Carlton’s nice. | 比利卡顿人很好 |
[36:32] | Nicer than your duke. | 比你的公爵好多了 |
[36:34] | There is no need for impertinence. | 别这么没礼貌 |
[36:36] | Mrs. Russell, excuse me. | 打扰了,夫人 |
[36:37] | Here is the menu you requested. | 这是您要求的菜单 |
[36:39] | Mr. Borden asks if there is anything else | 波登大厨问有没有要增加的? |
[36:41] | – you would like to add. – No, I’m content. Thank you. | 波登大厨问有没有要增加的? |
[36:42] | – you would like to add. – No, I’m content. Thank you. | 没了,都很好,谢谢 |
[36:45] | Oh, Mr. Gilbert sent a message that two tickets for tonight | 吉柏先生说今晚有两张退票 |
[36:48] | have been returned. I thought you might like them. | 吉柏先生说今晚有两张退票 |
[36:48] | have been returned. I thought you might like them. | 我想就给你吧 |
[36:50] | Tickets for this evening? For the opening night of Faust? | 今晚开场大戏浮士德的票? |
[36:53] | Yes. Orchestra seats, of course, but you’ll have a decent view. | 对,正厅前排座位,视野不错 |
[36:56] | You can take a friend. | 你可以带朋友去 |
[36:58] | Might I ask Mr. Borden? | 可以带波登大厨吗? |
[37:00] | Borden? | 波登? |
[37:02] | Well, you’ll have to ask Church. | 那你得问邱区 |
[37:04] | But the supper is cold | 反正晚餐是冷菜,他跟厨娘能应付 |
[37:05] | so I suppose he and the kitchen maids could manage. | 反正晚餐是冷菜,他跟厨娘能应付 |
[37:07] | You can help as soon as you’re back. | 你俩看完戏再回来帮忙 |
[37:10] | That’s very good of you, madam. | 夫人真是太慷慨了 |
[37:12] | Come to the drawing room, and I’ll give them to you. | 待会儿来客厅找我拿票 |
[37:14] | I don’t know what else to say, other than thank you. | 我不知该说些什么 |
[37:16] | I don’t know what else to say, other than thank you. | 谢谢您,万分感激 |
[37:17] | – Very much. – Thank you is quite enough. | 谢谢您,万分感激 |
[37:18] | – Very much. – Thank you is quite enough. | 说谢谢就够了 |
[37:24] | Well, I got your note. | 我收到你的字条 |
[37:26] | Though, I found it rather cryptic. | 但写得有些隐晦不明 |
[37:28] | I apologize for that. | 很抱歉 |
[37:31] | I didn’t want to discuss this at The Globe in front of everyone. | 我不想在报社当众讨论这件事 |
[37:34] | We aren’t exactly alone here. | 这里也是公共场合 |
[37:40] | What is it? | 怎么了? |
[37:45] | I won’t be returning to the paper. | 我不回报社工作了 |
[37:47] | What? Why not? | 为什么? |
[37:49] | Have you gotten an offer from another publication? | 有别家出版社挖角? |
[37:51] | – I… – There’s no other offer. | 没人要挖角 |
[37:53] | Then why leave? | 那为何要离职? |
[37:55] | Mr. Fortune, I will always be grateful | 福顿先生,我很珍惜能与你共事 |
[37:57] | for everything we did together. | 福顿先生,我很珍惜能与你共事 |
[37:59] | For the stories we covered, for the chances you gave me. | 我们一起写的报道 |
[38:01] | For the stories we covered, for the chances you gave me. | 你给我机会,有了发声管道 |
[38:02] | I have a voice now. | 你给我机会,有了发声管道 |
[38:04] | A voice our readers are anxious to hear. | 我们的读者亟欲听你发声 |
[38:06] | Don’t abandon them when you’re just creating a name for yourself. | 好不容易闯出名气却要放弃 |
[38:09] | – This doesn’t make sense. – I’m afraid it’s how it has to be. | 这没道理啊 |
[38:10] | – This doesn’t make sense. – I’m afraid it’s how it has to be. | 很抱歉,我心意已决 |
[38:12] | – But… – We can’t continue like this. | -可是…… -我们不能再这样下去 |
[38:16] | At least I know I can’t. | 至少我没办法 |
[38:24] | So, what are your plans? | 你有什么打算? |
[38:28] | I’m not sure. | 还不知道 |
[38:30] | I have a novel that I’ve put off for far too long. | 我有本小说还没写完 |
[38:33] | Good. | 那很好啊 |
[38:34] | Because you have things to say and you know how to say them. | 因为你很有思想,也擅长表达 |
[38:38] | I hope so. | 希望如此 |
[38:40] | And we both have work to do | 我们都有责任在身 |
[38:42] | and we need no distractions. | 禁不起任何分心 |
[38:44] | Well, that’s true. | 你说的是 |
[38:46] | You deserve to be at the center of your own life. | 你该当自己人生的主人翁 |
[38:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:52] | And the others will hate to see you go. They’ll miss you. | 报社同事一定会很舍不得你 |
[38:55] | Please give them my best wishes when you tell them. | 请代我告知并祝福大家 |
[39:00] | And I’ll miss you. | 我也会想你 |
[39:02] | There’s nothing I can say to make you change your mind? | 说什么能让你回心转意吗? |
[39:06] | No. | 没有 |
[39:08] | I just wish things could have been different. | 但愿当初没发生那些事 |
[39:12] | Me too. | 我也是 |
[39:15] | But bad timing shapes our lives. | 逆境更能增长人生历练 |
[39:37] | Do you need Bannister to escort you across the street? | 要班尼斯特护送你到对面吗? |
[39:40] | No, they’ll collect me from here. | 不用,他们会过来接我 |
[39:43] | Should we wish each other luck? | 那就互祝彼此好运罗? |
[39:49] | I do wish you luck, Aunt Agnes. | 我当然祝福您,爱格姑妈 |
[39:55] | And I know I’ve been a disappointment. | 抱歉我让您失望了 |
[39:59] | Even I don’t expect you to marry in order to please me. | 就连我也不希望,你为了讨好我而出嫁 |
[40:04] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[40:06] | But now you have two strikes against you, Marian | 你现在已有两门婚事告吹了 |
[40:10] | the second more public than the first. | 这次比上次更广为人知 |
[40:12] | You can’t afford another. | 不能再有下一次了 |
[40:14] | No. | 我知道 |
[40:17] | I’ve said enough. | 我言尽于此 |
[40:19] | Enjoy your evening, but remember, time passes quickly. | 你好好去看戏吧 |
[40:20] | Enjoy your evening, but remember, time passes quickly. | 别忘了,时间不等人 |
[40:24] | Don’t throw your life away. | 不要虚度人生 |
[40:32] | Are you off? | 要走了吗? |
[40:35] | I must say you both look very smart. | 二位看起来真是体面 |
[40:37] | Thank you. Are you sure you can manage the supper? | 谢谢,你确定晚餐忙得过来? |
[40:40] | – We’ll be back… – Everything’s under control. | -我们会赶…… -都没问题的 |
[40:42] | – I hope you enjoy the opera. – Oh, don’t worry about that. | 祝你们看剧愉快 |
[40:43] | – I hope you enjoy the opera. – Oh, don’t worry about that. | 别担心,这是一定的 |
[40:45] | – We will. – I’m glad. | 别担心,这是一定的 |
[40:47] | – We will. – I’m glad. | 那就好 |
[40:48] | And I’m glad to hear you’ll be staying with us, Ms. Andre. | 听说你会留下来,真是太好了 |
[40:51] | You’re staying and I’m going. | 你留下,我却要走了 |
[40:53] | We’ll miss you, Mr. Watson. | 我们会想念你的,华生先生 |
[40:55] | And I’ll miss you. | 我也是 |
[40:57] | All of you. | 我会怀念大家 |
[41:00] | I’ve been happy here. | 很高兴与各位共事 |
[41:02] | Perhaps you’ll come back to see us. | 改天回来看看我们吧? |
[41:04] | No, he won’t be back. | 他不会回来了 |
[41:07] | But I want to wish you well | 希望你新的人生一切顺利 |
[41:08] | in your new life, Mr. Watson, I mean it. | 希望你新的人生一切顺利 |
[41:10] | in your new life, Mr. Watson, I mean it. | 我衷心祝福 |
[41:11] | – I really do. – We all do. | 我衷心祝福 |
[41:12] | – I really do. – We all do. | 我们也祝福你 |
[41:17] | Go on, you’ll be late. | 快走吧,要迟到了 |
[41:24] | Go and collect Ms. Brook. | 快去接布鲁克小姐 |
[41:26] | Are we going? | 要出发了吗? |
[41:32] | My dear, you have outdone yourself. | 亲爱的,你总是令人叹为观止 |
[41:34] | I am only the curtain-raiser. | 我不过是配角而已 |
[41:35] | Here is the main attraction. Gladys. | 真正的主角在后面 |
[41:37] | Here is the main attraction. Gladys. | 葛莱蒂 |
[41:38] | Your mother’s right. | 你母亲说对了 |
[41:40] | You take the prize tonight, my dear. | 今晚你拔得头筹,亲爱的 |
[41:43] | Where is my grubby little sister? | 我那脏兮兮的小妹呢? |
[41:46] | She’s gone missing. | 怎么不见了? |
[41:49] | Why are you all being so nice to me? | 大家干吗对我这么好? |
[41:51] | I’m admiring my handiwork. | 我在欣赏自己的作品 |
[41:53] | Me too. | 我也是 |
[41:54] | Congratulations to you both. | 恭喜你俩 |
[41:56] | We should get started. | 我们该出门了 |
[42:00] | Are you ready for the challenge? | 准备好接受挑战吗? |
[42:03] | Can you doubt it? | 还用问吗? |
[42:04] | It’s time to deliver the coup de grace. | 时候到了,该来个致命一击 |
[42:11] | Welcome, Mrs. Russell. | 欢迎罗素夫人 |
[42:13] | Our day of reckoning is finally here. | 最终审判日终于来了 |
[42:15] | Indeed it is. | 说的没错 |
[42:32] | Are we really here? Is it possible? | 不敢相信今生能来到歌剧院 |
[42:36] | Take courage and believe. | 勇敢地相信吧 |
[42:41] | I see all the skeletons and ghouls are here. | 来的人尽是一些老骨头 |
[42:45] | They may be old, but they are the backbone of society. | 老虽老,却是上流社会支柱 |
[42:48] | A broken back, if you ask me. | 要我说,是松垮的支柱 |
[42:50] | I have not asked you anything, nor do I intend to. | 我没问你意见,也不打算问 |
[42:53] | – Are you all right? – Ask me tonight when it’s over. | 你还好吗? |
[42:54] | – Are you all right? – Ask me tonight when it’s over. | 今晚结束才知道 |
[42:56] | – Mrs. Russell. – I hope, after tonight | 罗素夫人好 |
[42:57] | – Mrs. Russell. – I hope, after tonight | 希望过了今晚母亲会冷静下来 |
[42:58] | Mother will calm down. | 希望过了今晚母亲会冷静下来 |
[42:59] | What if she loses? | 万一她输了呢? |
[43:01] | Win or lose, she’s got to be less mad than she’s been lately. | 不论输赢,至少不会如此火冒三丈 |
[43:04] | Your mother knows what she wants | 令堂很清楚自己的目标 |
[43:05] | and perhaps that’s the trick of getting it. | 或许这才是致胜关键 |
[43:08] | You’re very philosophical tonight. | 你今晚讲话特别有哲理 |
[43:10] | I was reminded of something Aunt Agnes said to me. | 只是突然想起爱格姑妈的一番话 |
[43:14] | – We have some other guests arriving. – They will be shown to your box. | 我们还请了其他客人 |
[43:16] | – We have some other guests arriving. – They will be shown to your box. | 会带去二位的包厢 |
[43:18] | Wait a minute. Haven’t we come too far along? | 等等,会不会走太远啦? |
[43:20] | No, it’s just here. | 这就是二位的包厢 |
[43:28] | You’ve tricked me. | 你骗了我 |
[43:30] | Mrs. Winterton, it is a box on the First Tier | 温特顿夫人,这就是您要求的头等包厢 |
[43:33] | just as you wanted. | 温特顿夫人,这就是您要求的头等包厢 |
[43:34] | Now, you must excuse me. Please, enjoy your evening. | 我先去忙了,祝二位看戏愉快 |
[43:39] | We were to have the central box. | 明明说好是中央包厢 |
[43:42] | We were to have Mrs. Russell’s box. She’s made a fool of me! | 我们要罗素夫人的包厢 |
[43:43] | We were to have Mrs. Russell’s box. She’s made a fool of me! | -她把我当傻子耍 -是也罢,别搞得更不堪 |
[43:44] | If she has, don’t make it worse. | -她把我当傻子耍 -是也罢,别搞得更不堪 |
[43:46] | – I’m leaving. – No. | -我要走了 -不行,你要留下来看戏 |
[43:48] | You need to be part of this event. | -我要走了 -不行,你要留下来看戏 |
[43:50] | And you don’t want to show Mrs. Russell has defeated you. | 别让罗素夫人看到你崩溃 |
[43:52] | So sit down | 快坐下 |
[43:54] | and look as if it’s all just as you planned. | 假装一切都按照计划走 |
[43:58] | Very well. | 坐就坐 |
[44:00] | But I won’t forget it. | 但我不会放过她 |
[44:04] | Close your mouth. | 嘴巴闭起来 |
[44:05] | You don’t want people to think you’ve never been | 别让人看出你从没来过歌剧院 |
[44:07] | in an opera house before. | 别让人看出你从没来过歌剧院 |
[44:09] | Is it that obvious? | 那么明显吗? |
[44:13] | Mrs. Russell, he’s not coming. | 罗素夫人 |
[44:14] | Mrs. Russell, he’s not coming. | -公爵不来了 -我保证他会来 |
[44:16] | – I can assure you, he is. – The carriages are all unloaded. | -公爵不来了 -我保证他会来 |
[44:17] | – I can assure you, he is. – The carriages are all unloaded. | 马车都停放好了,他没来 |
[44:19] | He’s not here. | 马车都停放好了,他没来 |
[44:23] | – They can’t wait much longer. – The Duke will be here. | 不能再等了 |
[44:25] | – They can’t wait much longer. – The Duke will be here. | 公爵会来的 |
[44:27] | He won’t be long now. | 再等一下就好 |
[44:35] | Can’t we wait a little bit longer? | 不能再等等吗? |
[44:36] | Have more faith in yourself, my dear. | 相信自己吧 |
[44:38] | – I certainly do. – Wait a minute. This is wrong. | 我相信你 |
[44:39] | – I certainly do. – Wait a minute. This is wrong. | 等等,这不对吧 |
[44:41] | I gave up the central box. | 中央包厢明明给了别人 |
[44:44] | Don’t give it another thought. | 别想太多 |
[44:46] | Just go forward | 进去就是了 |
[44:47] | and claim your victory. | 拥抱胜利的感觉 |
[45:34] | I don’t understand. | 怎么会这样? |
[45:36] | It seems they believed Mrs. Russell and not us. | 多数人选择罗素夫人,而非我们 |
[45:40] | But he’s coming. | 公爵会来的 |
[45:42] | I know it. | 一定会 |
[45:47] | So you were brave after all. | 你还是决定勇敢一次 |
[45:50] | Braver than I knew myself to be. | 连我自己也没想到 |
[45:53] | But Mrs. Astor can’t have it all her own way, can she? | 不能事事顺着阿斯特夫人,对吧? |
[45:56] | – Do hurry up, dear! – Oh, there’s Mrs. Fish. | 动作快,老公 |
[45:58] | – Do hurry up, dear! – Oh, there’s Mrs. Fish. | 费许夫人来了 |
[46:00] | Oh, Mamie, you came. | 梅米,你来了 |
[46:03] | Is this it? Really? | 什么,我没看错吧? |
[46:05] | Is this the turnout? | 就这么一点人来? |
[46:07] | Look, some of them are leaving. | 看,还有人要走了 |
[46:09] | It makes us appreciate your loyalty all the more. | 所以才让人更感佩你的忠心 |
[46:12] | Or does it make it all the more ridiculous? | 留下来才会让人看笑话 |
[46:14] | Goodbye, ladies. Mr. McAllister. | 再见了,二位夫人,麦卡里斯特先生 |
[46:17] | – Where are you going? – Where do you think? | 你要去哪儿? |
[46:18] | – Where are you going? – Where do you think? | 还用问吗? |
[46:20] | But I’ll have to hurry if I’m to get there | 我得加快脚步,免得错过太多 |
[46:21] | before I miss too much. | 我得加快脚步,免得错过太多 |
[46:23] | – Should I help find her carriage? – Sit down. You’re going nowhere. | 我去帮她找马车 |
[46:24] | – Should I help find her carriage? – Sit down. You’re going nowhere. | 给我坐下,哪儿也别想去 |
[46:30] | I won’t believe she’s won. | 我不相信她赢了 |
[46:33] | I can’t believe it. | 绝不相信 |
[47:17] | I want to remember every tiny detail, every moment. | 我想记住今晚每个环节 |
[47:19] | I want to remember every tiny detail, every moment. | 记住每分每秒 |
[47:21] | Then remember this. | 那请记好这个 |
[47:26] | Mr. Borden | 波登先生 |
[47:29] | I hope I’m not late. | 希望我没迟到太久 |
[47:30] | Late or early, you are very welcome, Duke. | 无所谓,欢迎公爵大驾光临 |
[47:33] | I hope you will call me Hector. | 请叫我赫特就好 |
[47:34] | I’m not sure Mrs. Russell will approve of that. | 罗素夫人恐怕不会答应呢 |
[47:36] | Why not? Of course, I approve. | 有何不可呢,我答应 |
[47:38] | And you are to call us George and Bertha and Larry and Gladys. | 那你也称呼我们的名字就好 |
[47:42] | Would you mind? | 你说呢? |
[47:43] | I don’t see how I can when you’re only obeying orders. | 母亲都说了,我也只能从命 |
[47:46] | – Then I’m glad. – Which is just as it should be. | -那我就宽心了 -公爵开心最重要 |
[47:51] | Hurry up! | 快点,谢谢……伊丽莎白 |
[47:51] | Thank you. | 快点,谢谢……伊丽莎白 |
[47:53] | – Oh, Elizabeth. – Mrs. Fish. | 快点,谢谢……伊丽莎白 |
[47:54] | – Oh, Elizabeth. – Mrs. Fish. | 费许夫人,我以为你不来了 |
[47:56] | I didn’t think you were coming. | 费许夫人,我以为你不来了 |
[47:58] | I wasn’t, but the Academy was a morgue. | 我原不打算来 |
[47:59] | I wasn’t, but the Academy was a morgue. | 但学院太冷清了 |
[48:01] | The fact is, you’ve won. | 所以说,你赢了 |
[48:03] | It can be a mistake to celebrate too soon. | 太早庆祝恐非好事 |
[48:05] | Oh, my dear, American Society has been reinvented tonight | 亲爱的 |
[48:06] | Oh, my dear, American Society has been reinvented tonight | 今晚美国社交圈秩序重组了 |
[48:09] | and you are at the very heart of it. | 而你正是核心焦点 |
[48:25] | Ladies and gentlemen | 现场各位嘉宾 |
[48:27] | this is a historic night for New York. | 今晚是纽约的重大时刻 |
[48:30] | Of course, much work and dedication has gone into this endeavor | 承蒙许多人付出心血,才有今天 |
[48:35] | and I could reel off a list of our benefactors | 若要逐一念出赞助人姓名,可能要念到明天早上 |
[48:37] | that would keep us occupied until morning | 若要逐一念出赞助人姓名,可能要念到明天早上 |
[48:40] | but I won’t. | 我只好闭嘴 |
[48:42] | Except to say thank you | 唯一要说的,就是感谢罗素夫人 |
[48:45] | to Mrs. George Russell | 唯一要说的,就是感谢罗素夫人 |
[48:46] | who has been our muse and inspiration. | 她是剧院缪思女神,启发众人 |
[49:01] | Tonight, her guest of honor is His Grace | 今晚座上嘉宾是白金汉公爵阁下 |
[49:04] | – the Duke of Buckingham… – Look at Turner scowling. | 今晚座上嘉宾是白金汉公爵阁下 |
[49:05] | – the Duke of Buckingham… – Look at Turner scowling. | 看到透纳翻白眼,真是大快人心 |
[49:07] | What pleasure it gives me. | 看到透纳翻白眼,真是大快人心 |
[49:10] | Why was she thrown out of the Academy? | 她为何被踢出学院? |
[49:12] | – Did you ever find out? – I wrote to Mrs. Astor, of course. | 你知道原因吗? |
[49:14] | – Did you ever find out? – I wrote to Mrs. Astor, of course. | 是我给阿斯特夫人通风报信 |
[49:16] | Did she know it came from you? | 她知道是你搞的鬼吗? |
[49:18] | – Certainly not. – Of Signor Vianesi. | 当然不知道 |
[49:19] | – Certainly not. – Of Signor Vianesi. | 欢迎今晚乐团指挥…… |
[49:25] | So… | 这就是失败的感觉 |
[49:27] | – this is what defeat feels like. – Lina, don’t say that. | 这就是失败的感觉 |
[49:30] | – this is what defeat feels like. – Lina, don’t say that. | 丽娜,别这么说 |
[49:33] | The Metropolitan is a novelty! | 大都会剧院是新的,大家只是好奇 |
[49:34] | They’re simply curious. | 大都会剧院是新的,大家只是好奇 |
[49:36] | Ladies, I know it’s hard, but it’s time to face the truth. | 二位,我知道很不容易 |
[49:38] | Ladies, I know it’s hard, but it’s time to face the truth. | 但是该面对现实了 |
[49:42] | To quote Ecclesiastes | 套句传道书的经文…… |
[49:44] | “For everything in life, there is a season” | 天下万物皆有时 |
[49:48] | and it seems the season of the Academy of Music | 看来学院歌剧院已到谢幕的阶段 |
[49:50] | is drawing to a close. | 看来学院歌剧院已到谢幕的阶段 |
[50:05] | Still thinking deep thoughts? | 还在陷入长考吗? |
[50:08] | Not exactly, but Aunt Agnes is right. | 也不是,爱格姑妈说的对 |
[50:12] | It’s time I took control of my life. | 我该掌控自己人生 |
[50:17] | You do know you’re a marvelous person? | 你知道自己很了不起吧? |
[50:20] | I know it’s kind of you to say so. | 你这么说是在安慰我 |
[50:22] | I mean it. | 我说真的 |
[50:34] | Gladys, who are you waving at? | 葛莱蒂,你在跟谁挥手? |
[50:36] | Billy Carlton. In his mother’s box. | 比利卡顿,在他母亲包厢里 |
[50:38] | May I ask him to come back with us for supper afterwards? | 结束后能请他到家里用餐吗? |
[50:41] | No. | 不可以 |
[50:42] | Now, show the Duke. Show Hector your program. | 让公爵……赫特看你的节目单 |
[50:48] | Here. Although I guess you know the story of Faust. | 请看,您该知道浮士德的剧情 |
[50:51] | Of course, a man sells his soul to gain riches on this earth. | 当然知道,这人用灵魂交换世间财物 |
[50:55] | And he lives to regret it. | 结果后悔一辈子 |
[51:00] | I hope he’s properly ashamed of himself. | 那位可真是恬不知耻 |
[51:03] | She can’t have just paid him more money. | 她不可能用更高价收买 |
[51:07] | He swore an oath. | 公爵都发过誓了 |
[51:08] | And then he broke it. | 事后又毁约 |
[51:13] | Perhaps she offered something more. | 或许是钱以外的东西 |
[51:22] | How did you get the Duke to change his mind? | 你是如何说服公爵? |
[51:24] | I made Hector see it was in his interest. | 只是让他明白什么最有利 |
[51:27] | But how? | -是什么?-我很感谢你会赚钱 |
[51:27] | George, you make the money, and I’m very grateful. | -是什么?-我很感谢你会赚钱 |
[51:30] | But I don’t tell you what to do in Pittsburgh | 我没对你的生意指手画脚 |
[51:33] | and you must leave me to manage the rest. | 所以其他的事,归我管就好 |
[52:01] | You don’t have to come across. You can watch me from here. | 你不必过街了,在这里看我进门就好 |
[52:03] | Don’t be silly. | 那怎么行呢 |
[52:08] | That was a delicious supper. | 晚餐真是美味 |
[52:09] | Or should I say breakfast? | 应该说是早餐吧? |
[52:11] | My mother knows how to manage those things. | 家母很擅长安排这类事项 |
[52:14] | Her gift is management. | 管理是她的长才 |
[52:17] | So you’re not getting married after all | 所以你不结婚了? |
[52:20] | and now you’re to leave 61st Street. Where will you go? | 却要离开六一街,搬去哪里呢? |
[52:23] | I’m not sure, but don’t worry. | 还不知道,但别担心 |
[52:25] | I’ve got a job I enjoy and plenty to do. | 我有喜欢的工作,很多事想做 |
[52:28] | Will you stay in New York? | 你会留在纽约吗? |
[52:30] | I hope so. | 希望会 |
[52:32] | I love New York. I love everything about it. | 我爱纽约,爱这里的大小事 |
[52:36] | Good. | 那就好 |
[52:38] | I’d hate for us to have to say goodbye. | 我可不想跟你分开 |
[52:40] | We’ll never say goodbye. | 我们不会分开的 |
[52:43] | We know far too much about each other’s lives | 我们太熟悉彼此,必须当一辈子朋友 |
[52:45] | not to be friends forever. | 我们太熟悉彼此,必须当一辈子朋友 |
[53:14] | Ms. Marian. | 小姐回来了 |
[53:15] | Mrs. Van Rhijn and Mrs. Forte are waiting for you | 二位夫人在客厅等小姐 |
[53:17] | – in the drawing room. – What? | 二位夫人在客厅等小姐 |
[53:18] | – in the drawing room. – What? | 怎么会,怎么了吗? |
[53:19] | Why? | 怎么会,怎么了吗? |
[53:21] | How strange. | 这就怪了 |
[53:23] | I’d better go in. | 我先进去了 |
[53:27] | Goodnight, Mr. Russell. | 再见,罗素先生 |
[53:28] | Ms. Brook. | 布鲁克小姐再见 |
[53:35] | Oh, Mr. Trotter. | 特罗特先生 |
[53:37] | You’ll be pleased to hear there’s been a lot of interest | 好消息,很多人对你的闹钟感兴趣 |
[53:39] | in your clock. | 好消息,很多人对你的闹钟感兴趣 |
[53:40] | I am pleased to hear it. Thank you. | 那真是太好了,谢谢您 |
[53:42] | I think we should go into business together. | 不如我俩合伙做生意吧? |
[53:45] | Don’t answer now. | 先别急着回答 |
[53:47] | I’ll be back with more detail. | 细节我们再详谈 |
[53:50] | Good day. | 再见 |
[53:58] | I don’t understand. Why weren’t you in bed hours ago? | 二位怎么还没就寝? |
[54:00] | She has something to tell us, and she insisted on waiting for you. | 她有事要宣布,却坚持等你回来 |
[54:05] | But why? What is it? | 到底是什么事? |
[54:07] | Yes, please put an end to this mystery. | 快说吧,赏我们个痛快 |
[54:11] | Very well. | 好吧 |
[54:13] | As you know, I’ve spent the evening reading every paper | 我整晚都在看律师寄来的文件 |
[54:16] | that the lawyers have sent me. | 我整晚都在看律师寄来的文件 |
[54:18] | That must have been hard. | 辛苦您了 |
[54:19] | So, what did these papers consist of? | 文件里都说些什么? |
[54:21] | Most importantly, there was a copy of Luke’s will. | 其中最重要的是路克的遗嘱 |
[54:25] | And a letter from Luke to me, tucked inside it. | 里面还有封他给我的信 |
[54:28] | – A letter from beyond the grave? – Exactly. | 你是说亡者捎来的信? |
[54:30] | – A letter from beyond the grave? – Exactly. | 没错 |
[54:31] | Apparently, he asked that it be given to me | 他要求死后才能把信交给我 |
[54:34] | only after his death. | 他要求死后才能把信交给我 |
[54:36] | For what? | 为什么? |
[54:37] | To explain what I’d need to manage as his sole heir. | 向唯一继承人说明接管内容 |
[54:41] | But is there anything to manage? | 他留下什么需要管理的吗? |
[54:43] | It seems so. | 看来是的 |
[54:45] | His grandfather made a fortune in textiles in Boston. | 他祖父在波士顿做布料生意致富 |
[54:49] | What? And you didn’t know anything about it? | 什么,而你蒙在鼓里? |
[54:52] | Or did you? | 还是你早就知道? |
[54:52] | No. | 不知道 |
[54:54] | But he’s explained. | 他信里说明了 |
[54:55] | When he gave his life to God | 他投入神职后,决定不靠那些钱度日 |
[54:57] | he chose to live without the advantages of money | 他投入神职后,决定不靠那些钱度日 |
[55:00] | and he took no payment for himself. | 自己从未收取分毫 |
[55:02] | But many people depended on the company | 但许多人的生计仰赖那家公司 |
[55:05] | so he allowed it to continue and prosper. | 于是他让公司继续营运获利 |
[55:09] | And now you’ve inherited it? | 而你现在继承了那间公司? |
[55:13] | So, what are you saying? | 所以这意思是…… |
[55:15] | That you’ve come into money? | 你现在有钱了? |
[55:18] | Yes. | 对 |
[55:19] | A great deal of money. | 而且是很大一笔钱 |
[55:22] | Too much money, really. | 甚至可说太多钱了 |
[55:25] | But doesn’t this mean we won’t have to sell the house | 意思是我们不必卖房子 |
[55:27] | the servants won’t lose their jobs, and nothing needs to change? | 家仆也不会失业 |
[55:29] | the servants won’t lose their jobs, and nothing needs to change? | 一切都能如常了? |
[55:31] | Exactly. | 没错,一切如常 |
[55:32] | Nothing needs to change. | 没错,一切如常 |
[55:33] | Bannister, you’re still up? | 班尼斯特,你还没睡? |
[55:36] | We’re all still up, ma’am. | 我们全都没睡,就等夫人指令 |
[55:37] | – Awaiting your orders. – Oh, good. | 我们全都没睡,就等夫人指令 |
[55:38] | – Awaiting your orders. – Oh, good. | 太好了 |
[55:40] | Because I have some news. | 我有消息要宣布 |
[55:41] | Mrs. Forte has inherited a sum from her late husband | 弗特夫人继承先夫大笔遗产 |
[55:45] | so we will not be moving and all of your jobs are safe. | 所以我们不必搬家,你们的工作也保住了 |
[55:49] | Hallelujah! | 哈利路亚 |
[55:51] | And if I may say so, what a relief! | 容我说一句,真是如释重负 |
[55:55] | Please feel free to tell them downstairs. | 快下楼转告大家这好消息 |
[56:02] | – Ms. Ada? – Yes. | -艾达小姐 -嗯 |
[56:04] | Is that your wish? | 这是您的意思吗? |
[56:11] | Why yes. | 没错 |
[56:13] | Please tell them downstairs. | 请转告楼下的人 |
[56:16] | – Thank you, Bannister. – Yes, ma’am. | 谢谢你,班尼斯特 |
[56:17] | – Thank you, Bannister. – Yes, ma’am. | 遵命,夫人 |
[56:19] | Thank you, ma’am. | 谢谢夫人 |
[56:25] | What was that about? | 这是啥意思啊? |
[56:28] | I expect he knows he’s working for Aunt Ada now. | 他知道主子换成艾达姑妈了 |
[56:33] | I suppose that means they all are. | 楼下的人都一样 |
[56:35] | Well, I still own this house, don’t I? | 至少屋主还是我吧 |
[56:38] | But Aunt Ada will be paying their wages. | 但付薪水的是艾达姑妈 |
[56:44] | Things may be a little different in the future, Agnes. | 爱格,今后情况会不太一样 |
[56:49] | But I’m sure we’ll work it out. | 我们会彼此适应的 |
[56:54] | Are you? | 这样啊 |
[56:57] | Are you, really? | 你是来真的? |