时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | DOLE: Previously on The Practice. | 前集回顾未作翻译 |
[00:02] | JOSHUA: He began to have a problem in high school | |
[00:04] | in his senior year. | |
[00:05] | A drinking problem? | |
[00:06] | JOSHUA: Yes, then in college, uh, | |
[00:08] | he got into the frat scene. | |
[00:09] | He died of alcohol poisoning. | |
[00:11] | And you’re blaming Portiss Brewery. | |
[00:13] | JOSHUA: I’m certainly aware that there were other beers, | |
[00:15] | but for the most part, | |
[00:16] | it was Portiss. | |
[00:17] | Do you take any responsibility, Mr. Berry? | |
[00:20] | Your son was underage, | |
[00:22] | drinking illegally. | |
[00:23] | No matter what parents say, | |
[00:25] | it is hard to compete | |
[00:26] | with the images of fun and social acceptance | |
[00:28] | that is being marketed by the alcohol industry. | |
[00:31] | We make it our business to curtail underage drinkers. | |
[00:34] | Really? | |
[00:35] | Besides those sex and alcohol commercials, | |
[00:37] | what else? | |
[00:38] | Objection! | |
[00:39] | This kid couldn’t so much | |
[00:41] | as watch a baseball game | |
[00:42] | without hearing your jingle, Mr. Carroll, | |
[00:44] | and he’s dead, he’s dead! | |
[00:46] | GRUNDEL: Your Honor, could I have a two-minute recess? | |
[00:48] | We have an offer we’d like to propose | |
[00:49] | to the plaintiff. | |
[00:50] | 1.6 million. | |
[00:52] | Should we take it? | |
[00:53] | Let’s take our chances. | |
[00:55] | What? | |
[00:56] | The offer is rejected, Your Honor. | |
[00:58] | Mr. Foreman, what say you? | |
[01:00] | We, the jury, find in favor of the plaintiff, | |
[01:03] | and order the defendant to pay punitive damages | |
[01:05] | in the amount of $125 million. | |
[01:08] | We appeal! | |
[01:10] | One of my inmates is Denise Freeman. | |
[01:12] | She shot two young boys playing in the park. | |
[01:15] | She’s scheduled to be executed next week. | |
[01:18] | How can I help? | |
[01:19] | I’d like you to stop it. | |
[01:20] | Are you against the death penalty? | |
[01:22] | MARSHALL: No, not at all. | |
[01:22] | In fact, I think we should | |
[01:24] | employ it more often. | |
[01:25] | But we shouldn’t be killing Denise Freeman. | |
[01:27] | She’s not the same person who committed those crimes. | |
[01:30] | FREEMAN: I heard voices, | |
[01:31] | I thought they were a mandate from God. | |
[01:33] | You know, there’s somebody like me | |
[01:35] | on “Dateline” once a week. | |
[01:36] | And the actual diagnosis? | |
[01:38] | Paranoid schizophrenia. | |
[01:40] | Do you have a memory of the killings? | |
[01:42] | They haven’t found the medication yet to erase memory. | |
[01:45] | You wanna take her off the meds? | |
[01:47] | FRUTT: And stop the execution on the grounds | |
[01:49] | that she’s insane. | |
[01:50] | The Supreme Court has expressly held | |
[01:52] | Eighth Amendment prohibits executing the insane. | |
[01:55] | Go off my medication?! | |
[01:57] | It’s our last best shot. | |
[01:59] | I will go crazy, Ellenor. | |
[02:02] | You do realize that. | |
[02:10] | it’s just that they would laugh, you know. | 就是因为他们会笑,你知道的 |
[02:15] | Not really laugh, | 不是真正的笑 |
[02:19] | because then they would get into trouble. | 因为那样他们就会惹上麻烦 |
[02:23] | They would get sent to the principal’s office. | 他们会被送到校长办公室 |
[02:26] | And they all knew better. | 他们都知道得更清楚 |
[02:27] | Denise, who talked? | Denise,谁说的? |
[02:29] | The kids, | 孩子们 |
[02:31] | all the kids. | 所有的孩子 |
[02:33] | Kids. | 孩子们 |
[02:34] | The kids you shot? | 你开枪杀的孩子们? |
[02:38] | Denise, the kids you shot? | Denise,是你杀的孩子们吗? |
[02:41] | FREEMAN: Every time I entered a room, | 每次我走进那个房间 |
[02:43] | except they would disguise it | 他们就假装不笑了 |
[02:44] | because they knew that they would get into trouble, | 因为他们知道他们会惹上麻烦 |
[02:46] | they’d cough. | 但他们会咳嗽 |
[02:48] | That was their plan. | 那就是他们的伎俩 |
[02:49] | And sometimes, they would sneeze, | 有时候,他们会打喷嚏 |
[02:51] | but usually they would cough, | 不过通常还是咳嗽 |
[02:53] | and that was to laugh at me. | 那就是在嘲笑我 |
[02:57] | Denise, which kids? | Denise,你说的哪些孩子? |
[03:00] | FREEMAN: All the kids… | 所有的孩子 |
[03:03] | at school, | 在学校 |
[03:04] | the kids at school. | 在学校的孩子 |
[03:06] | They’d always cough. | 他们总是在咳嗽 |
[03:07] | The boys in the park, did they cough? | 公园里的男孩,他们咳嗽了吗? |
[03:10] | I’m not supposed to talk about that. | 我不该谈这个 |
[03:12] | That’s a secret. | 这是个秘密 |
[03:14] | A secret? Between… | 秘密?谁和谁的。。。 |
[03:15] | Me and him. | 我和他的秘密 |
[03:17] | Who’s “him”? | 他是谁? |
[03:19] | He doesn’t cough. | 他没有咳嗽 |
[03:20] | STUCKY: You don’t know who “him” is, | 你不知道他是谁 |
[03:22] | but you and he entered into a secret? | 但你和他享有一个秘密? |
[03:24] | He talks to me from the inside! | 他从里面跟我说话! |
[03:28] | The inside of… | 什么里面。。。 |
[03:29] | Me! | 我心里面! |
[03:39] | PARKER: We have no way of knowing this isn’t an act. | 我们无从知晓这不是装的 |
[03:42] | She certainly has motive. | 她当然有动机这样做的 |
[03:43] | She was examined by six different doctors, | 六个不同的医生对她做过检查 |
[03:46] | including two from the state. | 其中包括两个州政府派来的医生 |
[03:47] | They all came to the same conclusion. | 他们都得出了相同的结论 |
[03:49] | PARKER: If she’s legally insane | 这一点上我虽然没有让步认可 |
[03:51] | and I make no such concession, | 但就算她符合法律意义上的精神失常 |
[03:52] | her state of mind is self-inflicted here. | 她此刻的精神状态也是自己造成的 |
[03:55] | How does that– That’s not an issue before this court. | – 这怎么能。。。 – 这不是法庭要考虑的问题 |
[03:57] | This is a hearing | 这是一次只为确定她的精神状态的听证会 |
[03:59] | to determine her mental state only. | 这是一次只为确认她的精神状态的听证会 |
[04:01] | The consequence of that determination | 而确认带来的后果是 |
[04:03] | is up to another court. | 另一个法庭的责任 |
[04:04] | This, to me, is a perversity of our legal system. | 我看这就是对我们司法系统的一种歪曲 |
[04:07] | It may very well be, Mr. Parker. | 这很可能是的,Parker先生 |
[04:09] | But this hearing, like Ms. Frutt says, | 但就像Frutt女士说的,这次听证会 |
[04:11] | is only about the petitioner’s current mental health. | 只跟上诉人目前的精神健康状态有关 |
[04:15] | Ms. Freeman, | Freeman女士 |
[04:17] | I have wonderful news. | 我有个非常好的消息 |
[04:19] | The court hereby finds you insane. | 法庭特此判定你是精神失常 |
[04:22] | You must be pleased. | 你一定很开心吧 |
[05:23] | FREEMAN: So, what now? | 那么,现在怎么办? |
[05:28] | The next step | 下一步是 |
[05:29] | is we go to the Federal District Court | 我们去联邦地区法院 |
[05:31] | to stop the execution | 以你精神失常为由 |
[05:33] | on the grounds that you’re insane. | 要求停止执行死刑 |
[05:34] | And that’s a matter of course, right? | 而那是理所当然的,对吗? |
[05:37] | I mean, it’s perfunctory. | 我是说,是例行公事的 |
[05:39] | The Supreme Court has already ruled on this, right? | 最高法院已经对此有了裁决,对吗? |
[05:41] | Nothing is perfunctory, | 没有什么是例行公事的 |
[05:44] | and as the attorney general said before, | 如首席检察官之前说的 |
[05:47] | the fact that your insanity is somewhat self-inflicted– | 你的精神失常某种程度上是你自己造成的。。。 |
[05:50] | When can I get back on my medication? | 我什么时候可以恢复服药? |
[05:53] | Well, the state will try to force you back on. | 呃,州政府会强迫你恢复服药的 |
[05:56] | And under the current law, they might be able to do that. | 而根据现行法律,他们或许能够做到这一点 |
[05:59] | For our purposes– | 为了我们的目的。。。 |
[06:00] | It’s too loud. | 太吵了 |
[06:02] | It’s too loud. | 太吵了 |
[06:09] | Denise, | |
[06:11] | remember, that’s your illness. | 记住,那就是你的病 |
[06:14] | When people cough, | 当人们咳嗽时 |
[06:15] | they’re not really laughing at you. | 他们不是真的在嘲笑你 |
[06:18] | That’s your illness. | 那是你的病 |
[06:19] | FREEMAN: Then why is she looking back at me | 那她为什么要回头看着我 |
[06:21] | like she’s sorry? | 好像她很歉疚似的? |
[06:23] | You’re sorry, aren’t you? | 你很歉疚,不是吗? |
[06:24] | Yes. | 是的 |
[06:24] | See?! FRUTT: Jamie. – Jamie | – 你看是吧 |
[06:25] | No, I’m not. | 不,我不是 |
[06:29] | To answer your question, | 我来回答你的问题 |
[06:31] | for our purposes, | 为了我们的目标 |
[06:33] | first, | 首先 |
[06:35] | let’s stop the execution, | 要停止执行死刑 |
[06:37] | then, | 然后 |
[06:39] | we’ll try to get you back on your medication. | 我们将尽力让你重新服药 |
[06:44] | You need to hurry, Ellenor. | 你要加紧,Ellenor |
[06:47] | It’s getting too loud. | 实在是太吵了 |
[06:57] | 2.5? | 二百五十万? |
[06:58] | And you’re advising us to take it? | 你建议我们接受这个? |
[07:00] | I’m advising you to consider it. | 我建议你们考虑一下 |
[07:02] | JOSHUA: The verdict was a hundred and twenty-five million. | 判决是一亿两千五百万呀 |
[07:04] | YOUNG: They have a motion for remittative schedule | 他们计划在周三提交要求免除处罚的动议 |
[07:06] | for Wednesday. | 他们计划在周三提交要求免除处罚的动议 |
[07:07] | The judge will likely knock it down anyway to– | 总之法官很可能会把数额砍到。。。 |
[07:09] | To 2.5? YOUNG: I don’t know. | – 二百五十万? – 我不知道 |
[07:10] | He could even throw it out altogether. | 他甚至可以把罚金全部取消 |
[07:12] | It could happen. | 那是有可能的 |
[07:13] | JOSHUA: I don’t believe this. | 我不信 |
[07:14] | We won. | 我们赢了呀 |
[07:16] | Joshua, | |
[07:17] | after more than 300 lawsuits and many adverse verdicts, | 历经300多起诉讼和许多不利判决 |
[07:21] | the tobacco companies have yet to pay out a cent | 烟草公司还没有为吸烟的个案支付过一分钱 |
[07:24] | in individual-smoker cases. | 烟草公司还没有为吸烟的个案支付过一分钱 |
[07:26] | It’ll be the same here. | 这里也一样 |
[07:27] | If we’re to get anything, it could be years. | 如果我们能拿到钱的话,可能要一年 |
[07:30] | 2.5 in the hand is so much– | 确定到手的二百五十万够多的了。。。 |
[07:31] | No! | 不行! |
[07:33] | Now I am angry. | 现在我很气愤 |
[07:35] | I stuck it out through a trial. | 我坚持熬完一次庭审 |
[07:36] | I got a verdict. | 我得到了裁决 |
[07:37] | And now you are advising me to settle | 而今你劝我和解 |
[07:39] | because the defendant won’t honor that verdict. | 就因为被告不会履行判决 |
[07:42] | It’s outrageous. I don’t disagree, but– | – 太离谱了 – 我不反对,但是。。。 |
[07:44] | JOSHUA: I don’t need the money. | 我不需要钱 |
[07:45] | I live a comfortable life. | 我生活很好 |
[07:48] | If I have to wait another 10 years, I’ll do it. | 如果必须要等上十年,我就等 |
[07:50] | Joshua… | |
[07:51] | I said no. | 我说了不行 |
[07:55] | If they had offered me something at the beginning | 如果他们一开始就给我开出条件 |
[07:58] | before the trial– | 在庭审前。。。 |
[08:01] | but they offered nothing. | 但他们什么也没有提 |
[08:02] | And now after they lose– | 而现在他们在失去了。。。 |
[08:06] | of all the arrogance. | 所有的傲慢之后 |
[08:09] | We beat them. | 我们击败了他们 |
[08:12] | I will not settle for this. | 我不会就此和解的 |
[08:13] | No, I will not. | 不,我不会答应的 |
[08:21] | FRUTT: I direct the court’s attention | 我提请法庭考虑到 |
[08:22] | to Ford versus Wainwright, | 在Ford诉Wainwright一案中 (Ford诉Wainwright案与本案很相似,Ford是疑似精神失常 的死刑犯,Wainwright是佛罗里达监狱的典狱长) |
[08:24] | where the Supreme Court held that the Eighth Amendment | 最高法院支持了第八修正案关于 |
[08:26] | Prohibits the state from executing an insane inmate. | 禁止政府处决精神失常囚犯的条款 |
[08:30] | Denise Freeman has been adjudicated to be insane, | Denise Freeman已经被裁定为精神失常 |
[08:33] | and, therefore– First of all, Your Honor, | – 因此。。。 – 法官大人,首先 |
[08:35] | that ruling is suspect. | 那项裁定是有疑问的 |
[08:36] | Suspect with whom? | 谁有疑问? |
[08:38] | How about the chief justice of the Supreme Court, | 最高法院首席法官如何? |
[08:40] | who scoffed at the ruling? | 他对那项裁定嗤之以鼻 |
[08:41] | It’s nevertheless the majority opinion. | 不过,这是多数人的意见 |
[08:43] | SEYMOUR: The court also held the defendant waived his right | 法庭也认为如果被告自愿停止服药 |
[08:46] | if he voluntarily went off medication. | 也就等于放弃了他的权利 |
[08:48] | That was for competency. | 那是涉及到被告的行为能力 |
[08:50] | They never talked about waiver | 当涉及到刑事处罚的时候 |
[08:51] | when it comes to punishment. | 就没有讨论过放弃权力的问题了 |
[08:53] | Look, Wainwright makes clear | Wainwright典狱长很清楚 |
[08:55] | to kill an insane person has little retributive value. | 杀掉一个疯子没有什么惩戒价值 |
[08:59] | It presents no example to others. | 不会达到以儆效尤的目的 |
[09:01] | It is not a deterrent and it offends humanity. | 这形不成威慑并且违背了人性 |
[09:05] | PARKER: And I would ask the court, | 我要像Rehnquist法官所做的那样问问法庭 |
[09:06] | as Justice Rehnquist does, | 我要像Rehnquist法官所做的那样问问法庭 |
[09:08] | where does it all stop? | 哪里才是终点? |
[09:11] | There has to be some finality to the law. | 法律必须有一定的终局性 |
[09:13] | Miss Freeman was judged sane at her trial. | Freeman小姐在她的案件审理中被认为是神志清醒的 |
[09:16] | She was found guilty. | 她被判罪名成立 |
[09:17] | She basically had another trial on the issue of punishment. | 总的来说又有了另一次对她的审判以确定量刑问题 |
[09:20] | Now here she comes again, | 现在她又来了 |
[09:22] | saying she’s insane, can’t kill her. | 说她精神失常,不能杀了她 |
[09:24] | Suppose she loses this one, | 假设她这次败诉 |
[09:25] | what’s to stop her from coming back tomorrow saying, | 有什么能阻止她明天跑回来说 |
[09:28] | “Now I’m really insane?” | “我现在是真的精神失常了” |
[09:30] | or the day after? | 或者是后天? |
[09:31] | We could be conducting insanity trials in perpetuity. | 我们可能会永远进行着对精神失常的审理 |
[09:35] | Every death-row inmate would be jumping up and down, | 每个死囚都会上蹿下跳地叫喊着 |
[09:37] | screaming, “Look at me! I’m nuts!” | “看着我!我是疯子!” |
[09:39] | And here, for a sane inmate | 本案,一个精神正常的囚犯 |
[09:41] | to deliberately go off her medication, | 故意停止服药 |
[09:43] | for the express purpose of making herself crazy | 为了特定的目的让自己变疯 |
[09:46] | so she can escape execution, | 以便逃脱死刑 |
[09:48] | that’s a mockery. | 这真是一个笑柄 |
[09:50] | It may be a mockery, Mr. Parker, | 这或许是个笑柄,Parker先生 |
[09:53] | but as I interpret the Supreme Court, | 但当我领会最高法院的裁决 |
[09:56] | with all due respect to Justice Rehnquist, | 虽然我对Rehnquist法官表示尊重 |
[09:59] | we cannot execute the insane. | 但我们不能处死一个精神失常的人 |
[10:03] | I, therefore, stay the execution. | 因此,我裁定死刑暂缓执行 |
[10:05] | PARKER: I petition the court | 我请求法庭 |
[10:07] | to allow the state to medicate Ms. Freeman. | 准许州政府给Freeman女士服药 |
[10:09] | The New Hampshire Supreme Court has previously held | 新罕布什尔州高等法院此前维持了 |
[10:12] | that a mentally ill defendant can be medicated | 对于精神病被告可以违背他或她的意愿 |
[10:14] | against his or her will if it’s– | 使其接受药物治疗的决定。。。 |
[10:15] | FRUTT: Once again, that was for trial. | 我再重申一次,那是为了庭审 |
[10:17] | It was not for punishment, | 不是为了惩罚的目的 |
[10:19] | certainly not the death penalty. | 当然更不是为了执行死刑 |
[10:20] | The same rationale would support forced medication | 同样的理由也支持为了惩罚的目的 |
[10:23] | for punishment purposes. | 而强制用药 |
[10:24] | Your Honor, this is a separate issue, | 法官大人,这是另外一个问题 |
[10:26] | a very complicated one. | 一个非常复杂的问题 |
[10:28] | I would request additional time to prepare. | 我会要求额外的时间来准备 |
[10:30] | She’s stalling. | 她在拖延时间 |
[10:31] | I am not stalling. | 我不是在拖时间 |
[10:32] | It’s called “due process.” | 这叫做“正当法律程序” |
[10:34] | SEYMOUR: All right. | 好了 |
[10:35] | We’ll reconvene tomorrow at 9:00 a. m. | 我们明天上午9点再继续讨论 |
[10:38] | on the issue of forced medication. | 强制用药的议题 |
[10:40] | Until then, we’re adjourned. | 在此之前,休庭 |
[10:49] | Now for the tough part. | 现在是最困难的部分了 |
[10:51] | They wanna force-medicate you to make you sane | 他们想强迫你吃药让你清醒 |
[10:54] | so they can then carry out the execution. | 这样他们就可以执行死刑了 |
[10:57] | As I said before, under the current law, | 如我之前所说,根据现行法律 |
[10:59] | they may be able to do this. | 他们也许能这样做 |
[11:01] | It’s unclear. | 现在还不清楚 |
[11:02] | You need to stop it. | 你要阻止他们 |
[11:04] | I can’t. | 我受不了了 |
[11:06] | I can’t. | 受不了了 |
[11:07] | It’s getting worse. | 越来越糟了 |
[11:09] | Explain to me what’s happening. | 跟我说说怎么回事 |
[11:11] | I know. I know. | 我知道,我知道 |
[11:12] | I wrote myself a letter | 我在停药前 |
[11:14] | before I went off the medication. | 给自己写了封信 |
[11:16] | I told myself that what’s happening | 我告诉自己所发生的事 |
[11:18] | is not really happening, so I know. I know. | 没有真的发生,所以我知道,我是知道的 |
[11:21] | It’s just, I’m not feeling very well, | 只是,我感觉非常糟 |
[11:25] | and I need– | 我需要。。。 |
[11:31] | We can’t put you back on the medication now | 我们不能现在恢复服药 |
[11:35] | because it would mean sanity and death. | 因为这意味着精神健全和死亡 |
[11:40] | So, I need you to hang in there | 所以,我需要你再多坚持长一点时间就行 |
[11:43] | just a little longer. | 所以,我需要你再多坚持长一点时间就行 |
[12:02] | DONNELL: What do you mean he won’t take it? | 你说他不接受是什么意思? |
[12:03] | YOUNG: He said no. | 他说了不 |
[12:04] | If it means waiting 10 years to see a nickel, | 如果那意味着要等上十年才能拿到五分钱 |
[12:06] | then so be it. | 他也认了 |
[12:06] | The guy’s dug in. | 这家伙较上劲儿了 |
[12:08] | He was adamant. | 像吃了秤砣一样 |
[12:09] | Get him in here. | 带他来这儿 |
[12:11] | Why? What do you wanna– | 为什么?你要干什么。。。 |
[12:12] | I want to talk to the client. | 我要和他谈谈 |
[12:13] | Bobby, we can’t force him to accept an offer | Bobby,我们不能强迫他接受和解条件 |
[12:16] | if he doesn’t– DONNELL: It’s not about forcing. | – 如果他不想。。。 – 这不是强迫 |
[12:17] | It’s about making him understand. | 是要让他弄明白 |
[12:19] | We did that. | 我们做了 |
[12:20] | He understood. | 他听明白了 |
[12:21] | DONNELL: Please have him come in | 请把他带来 |
[12:23] | for one more meeting. | 再谈一次 |
[12:28] | FRUTT: The idea of treating somebody, | 治愈她,使她康复 |
[12:30] | healing her, making her well, | 以便随后可以杀了她 |
[12:33] | so that you can then kill her, | 这样来对待某个人的主意 |
[12:34] | that itself is insane. | 本身就是精神失常 |
[12:36] | The court has done this many times. | 法院已经这样做过很多次了 |
[12:38] | It’s one thing to force-medicate | 强制用药以使被告 |
[12:40] | so a defendant can help herself at trial. | 可以在庭审中自救是一回事 |
[12:42] | It’s quite another to facilitate killing her. | 而促成她被杀则完全是另一回事 |
[12:45] | SEYMOUR: Hold on. | 停一下 |
[12:47] | Mr. Parker, I don’t mean to be picking on you, | Parker先生,我不是故意挑你毛病 |
[12:50] | but I agree with Ms. Frutt here. | 但我同意Frutt女士的看法 |
[12:52] | The idea of medicating a person against his or her will | 违背某人的意愿而去强制他或她服药的主意 |
[12:56] | is in and of itself suspect. | 本身就是有问题的 |
[12:58] | To do so, to make her fit for execution, | 这么做是为了让她符合被处决的条件 |
[13:00] | offends common sense, as it does common decency. | 有违常理,也有违公德 |
[13:04] | How decent is it to let these people | 让这些人操纵司法系统 |
[13:05] | manipulate the system, | 歪曲法律精神 |
[13:07] | distort the spirit of the law? | 又算是什么公德? |
[13:09] | Your motion is denied. | 你的动议被否决了 |
[13:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[13:13] | Your Honor, at this time, | 法官大人,现在 |
[13:15] | we would like a declaratory judgment, | 我们想得到一个确认权利的判决 |
[13:17] | that should my client go back on medication, | 如果我的当事人继续服药 |
[13:19] | making herself sane, | 使自己神志清醒 |
[13:21] | she will not be executed. | 她也不会被执行处决的 |
[13:25] | Say that again? | 再说一遍? |
[13:26] | To force my client to live out her life mentally ill, | 强迫我的当事人在患有精神病的情况下度过她的一生 |
[13:30] | to be denied medication, that certainly constitutes cruel | 被禁止服药,那也一定算是残忍的 |
[13:34] | and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment. | 和第八修正案所定义的异乎寻常的惩罚 |
[13:37] | SEYMOUR: Counsel, what are you trying to pull? | 律师,你想耍什么花招儿呀? |
[13:40] | Your client is choosing to be off the medication. | 是你的当事人选择停止服药 |
[13:43] | FRUTT: I would argue that she really doesn’t have | 法官大人,我提出的论点是 |
[13:45] | such a choice, Your Honor, | 如果服药的后果是死亡 |
[13:46] | if the consequence of being medicated is death. | 她真的没有选择的余地 |
[13:50] | You got to be kidding. | 你开什么玩笑 |
[13:51] | You can’t say to a sick inmate, | 你不能对患病的囚犯说 |
[13:53] | “We’re willing to treat you, | “我们要治疗你 |
[13:54] | but if you get well, you die.” | 但如果你病好了,你就会死” |
[13:57] | If that’s her option, | 如果这是给她的选项 |
[13:58] | she’s basically being denied treatment. | 她根本上得不到治疗 |
[14:01] | It’s cruel and unusual. | 这是残忍且异乎寻常的 |
[14:04] | That is so ingenious, | 这真是太精妙了 |
[14:05] | I’m surprised no lawyer has thought of it before. | 我很惊讶以前没有律师想到过这招儿 |
[14:09] | But I’m not going to let you have it both ways. | 但我不会让你两全其美 |
[14:12] | As long as she’s insane, she lives. | 只要她是精神失常的,她就可以活着 |
[14:15] | If she becomes sane again, she dies. | 如果她恢复理智,她就会死 |
[14:18] | The choice is hers, | 由她选择 |
[14:20] | or, since you’re the guardian ad litem, | 或者,既然你是诉讼监护人 |
[14:22] | I guess it’s yours. | 我想你来选择吧 |
[14:25] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[14:45] | The news is good and bad. | 消息有好有坏 |
[14:49] | The judge ruled that they can’t force-medicate you. | 法官裁定他们不能强迫你吃药 |
[14:52] | What about my pills? | 那我的药呢? |
[14:53] | When can I take my pills? | 我什么时候可以吃药? |
[14:55] | That’s the bad news. | 这就是那个坏消息 |
[14:57] | If you go back on the medication, | 如果你恢复服药 |
[15:00] | they’ll execute you. | 他们会处决你 |
[15:01] | Well, I can’t stay like this. | 我受不了这样了 |
[15:03] | It’s too loud. | 真是太吵了 |
[15:04] | FRUTT: Denise, I’d like to work | Denise,我会接着上诉的 |
[15:05] | on an appeal. | Denise,我会接着上诉的 |
[15:06] | It’s too loud. | 真是太吵了 |
[15:07] | You said that you would make it stop. | 你说过你会让它停下来的 |
[15:10] | I will. FREEMAN: Ellenor, – Ellenor | – 我会的 |
[15:11] | it needs to be now! | 现在就要! |
[15:12] | I can’t. | 我受不了了 |
[15:13] | No! | 不! |
[15:14] | No! | 不! |
[15:14] | Then let me die! | 让我死了算了! |
[15:15] | I’m choosing to be executed! | 我选去死! |
[15:17] | FRUTT: It’s actually not your choice. | 事实上这不是你的选择 |
[15:19] | You have no capacity– | 你没有能力。。。 |
[15:20] | Yet you said | 可你说了 |
[15:21] | that you would make it stop! | 你能让这停下来! |
[15:23] | It’s loud! | 真是太吵了! |
[15:27] | We can at least get her to a hospital now, right? | 我们现在起码可以把他送去医院,对吗? |
[15:28] | If she’s– Shut up! | – 如果她。。。 – 闭嘴! |
[15:30] | You shut up! | 你闭嘴! |
[15:31] | You shut up! | 闭嘴! |
[15:37] | That bitch is against me. | 那个婊子讨厌我 |
[15:46] | Mr. and Mrs. Berry, Bobby Donnell. | Berry先生,Berry夫人,我是Bobby Donnell |
[15:48] | Thanks for coming in. | 谢谢你们能来 |
[15:49] | I’m not sure what the purpose is. | 我不清楚这是为了什么 |
[15:50] | Eugene tells me you want us to settle, | Eugene告诉我你希望我们接受和解 |
[15:52] | but I’ve made our feelings quite clear. | 但我已经把我们的感受说得很清楚了 |
[15:54] | You’re not going to get any money, Mr. Berry, | 你什么钱也拿不到的,Berry先生 |
[15:57] | not by pursuing this. | 这样死咬着不行 |
[15:59] | The alcohol industry– | 造酒业。。。 |
[16:00] | Can’t afford to set a precedent of losing. | 不能开失败的先例 |
[16:02] | Yes. | 我知道 |
[16:03] | Eugene has already told me that. | Eugene已经跟我们说过这些了 |
[16:05] | But as I told him, | 但正如我告诉他的 |
[16:06] | I don’t care if I never see any money. | 我不在乎是否能拿到钱 |
[16:08] | Yes, but we do. | 是的,但我们在乎 |
[16:09] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[16:10] | DONNELL: We took this case | 我们是按风险代理收费方式 |
[16:11] | on a contingency, Mr. Berry. | 接这个案子的,Berry先生 |
[16:13] | There’s an implied contract of good faith. | 这是一个基于诚信的默认契约 |
[16:15] | Good faith requires you to accept a reasonable settlement. | 诚信要求要求你接受合理的和解方案 |
[16:19] | Failure to do so may give us a cause of action against you. | 如果违背的话,可能会给我一个起诉你们的理由 |
[16:23] | Bobby. | |
[16:23] | DONNELL: 825,000 of 2.5 | 250万里面的82.5万 |
[16:26] | belongs to us, Mr. Berry, | 是属于我们的,Berry先生 |
[16:27] | and I’m not gonna let you give that away | 我不会因为你太过情绪化 |
[16:29] | because you’re too emotional– | 而使我们失去这些 |
[16:30] | Bobby. DONNELL: Excuse me, Eugene. – Bobby | – 容我说完,Eugene |
[16:33] | Lawsuits are about money. | 法律诉讼是跟钱有关的 |
[16:36] | You hired us to get you money. | 你雇我们是为了让你得到钱 |
[16:38] | We prosecuted this claim for free on a contingency. | 我们以风险收费方式免费代理这项索赔案 |
[16:42] | We took a chance on a back end, and now we want our payoff. | 我们对结果承担了风险,现在我们想得到回报 |
[16:45] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[16:46] | DONNELL: The choice to settle | 是否接受和解 |
[16:47] | or not to settle legally belongs to you, | 从法律上说选择权在你 |
[16:50] | but if you choose not to, and you end up getting nothing, | 但如果你选不接受和解,你最终什么也得不到 |
[16:52] | if we end up getting nothing, | 如果我们最终什么也得不到 |
[16:55] | this firm will file a claim against you | 这个事务所将对你提出 |
[16:57] | for $825,000. | 82.5万元的索赔诉讼 |
[17:00] | And please keep in mind, Mr. Berry, | 请记住这一点,Berry先生 |
[17:02] | when you are the defendant, | 当你成为被告 |
[17:03] | lawyers won’t represent you on a contingency. | 律师们不会以风险收费方式代理你 |
[17:09] | Turning this settlement down will cost you. | 拒绝这个和解协议会让你付出代价 |
[17:14] | You need to be aware of that. | 你需要意识到这一点 |
[17:20] | Thank you for your time. | 谢谢你抽出时间来这儿 |
[17:43] | You could lose your bar card over that one. | 你会因此丢掉律师资格的 |
[17:45] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[17:46] | Eugene, we need cash. | Eugene,我们需要钱 |
[17:47] | Threatening a lawsuit against a client to get cash? | 威胁要起诉一个当事人来得到钱吗? |
[17:50] | The client needed a dose of reality. | 这个当事人需要一剂清醒剂 |
[17:52] | Then why didn’t you tell me and Jimmy, | 那你为什么告诉我和Jimmy |
[17:53] | that’s what you were planning– | 你正在计划。。。 |
[17:54] | Because I was taking you off the hook. | 因为我是在帮你们摆脱困境 |
[17:55] | The fact that you didn’t know what the meeting was about | 你们不知道这次会面会谈些什么 |
[17:57] | makes me the only bad guy. | 可以让我来当唯一的恶人 |
[17:59] | Well, your threat to sue is completely frivolous. | 你你威胁要提起诉讼完全是轻率的 |
[18:02] | I told the client as much | 我跟客户说了这么多 |
[18:03] | and he maintains his refusal to settle. | 而他仍然拒绝和解 |
[18:06] | We go in tomorrow on the defendant’s motion | 我们明天要去应付被告方提出的 |
[18:08] | to knock the verdict down. | 申请推翻判决的动议 |
[18:10] | Bobby, you and I have been estranged lately. | Bobby,你和我进来一直在疏远 |
[18:13] | A lot of it’s been over the Catholic Church, | 大部分原因是源自天主教堂那件事 |
[18:15] | but at least we’ve managed to be honest with one another, | 但至少我们都力求以诚相待 |
[18:19] | so I’m gonna be honest now. | 所以我要说句实话 |
[18:21] | What you just did, | 你刚才所做的 |
[18:23] | it wasn’t in keeping with being an ethical person, | 不符合一个有道德的人的所为 |
[18:26] | it wasn’t in keeping with being an honorable lawyer, | 不符合一个可敬的律师的所为 |
[18:28] | and from what I know of your faith, | 据我所知你的信仰 |
[18:30] | it wasn’t in keeping with being a good Catholic. | 那也不符合一个虔诚的天主教徒的所为 |
[18:34] | You humiliated this firm with that little performance. | 你那拙劣的表演使这家公司蒙羞了 |
[18:39] | And more than that, | 还不止如此 |
[18:42] | you embarrassed yourself. | 你使你自己陷于难堪 |
[18:52] | She started banging her head against the bars | 她开始把头w往栏杆上撞 |
[18:55] | and looked like she was trying to gouge her eyes. | 而且看起来她想挖出自己的眼睛 |
[18:58] | FRUTT: Is she sedated? | 她服镇静剂了吗? |
[18:59] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[19:02] | She’s in restraints. | 对她采取了强制管制 |
[19:03] | She wanted to talk to you first. | 她想先和你谈谈 |
[19:09] | FRUTT: Denise? | |
[19:11] | I want the drugs. | 我想吃药 |
[19:12] | I can’t live like this, Ellenor. | 我不能这样活着,Ellenor |
[19:15] | Try to calm– | 尽量平静下来。。。 |
[19:16] | Don’t tell me that! | 别跟我说这些! |
[19:18] | I can’t live like this! | 我不能这样活着 |
[19:20] | FRUTT: Denise, if you go back on the– | Denise,如果你重新服药。。。 |
[19:22] | I know! | 我明白! |
[19:23] | I know! | 我明白! |
[19:24] | I need you to listen to me! | 你要听我说! |
[19:26] | If you go back on the drugs, | 如果你重新服药 |
[19:28] | they will put you to death. | 他们会对你执行死刑的 |
[19:30] | I can’t live– | 我不能这样活。。。 |
[19:32] | it’s too loud! | 真是太吵了! |
[19:34] | I want the medicine! | 我要吃药! |
[19:36] | They said that it’s your decision! | 他们说由你决定! |
[19:38] | Tell them to give it to me! | 告诉他们给我吃药! |
[19:40] | I would be signing your death warrant. | 我那会是签署了你的死刑令 |
[19:42] | FREEMAN: Now! | 现在给我! |
[19:49] | Give her the drugs. | 给她吃药吧 |
[19:51] | Ellenor, are you sure? | Ellenor,你确定吗? |
[19:53] | Of course I’m not sure. | 我当然确定不了 |
[19:55] | Give her the drugs. | 给她药吧 |
[19:59] | Now! | 现在! |
[20:19] | Great. | 这下好了 |
[20:21] | I just helped kill my client. | 我刚帮忙杀了我的当事人 |
[20:46] | Great news from the hospital. | 医院来了个好消息 |
[20:48] | Denise is feeling well enough to be executed. | Denise状态好到可以被处决了 |
[20:54] | You come up with anything? | 你想出什么办法了吗? |
[20:56] | Well, only thing left is to argue | 呃,只剩下提出基于第八修正案 |
[20:58] | it’s unconstitutional to kill her | 呃,只剩下提出基于第八修正案 |
[21:00] | on Eighth Amendment grounds. | 对她执行死刑是违宪行为的论点了 |
[21:02] | That’s sort of been tried, Jamie. | 这个已经提过了,Jamie |
[21:04] | Well, instead of arguing the death penalty | 那么,与其争论死刑本身是违宪的 |
[21:06] | is per se unconstitutional, | 那么,与其争论死刑本身是违宪的 |
[21:09] | you could argue it’s cruel and unusual | 你可以争论说这对Denise Freeman来说 |
[21:11] | as applied to Denise Freeman. | 是残忍且又异乎寻常的 |
[21:16] | It’s our only shot, Ellenor. | 这是我们唯一的机会,Ellenor |
[21:30] | The client’s had a change of heart. | 客户改变了主意 |
[21:32] | They agreed to settle. | 他们同意和解 |
[21:35] | We chipped the number up to 3.2. | 我们把数额加到三百二十万 |
[21:38] | We’re closed. | 差不多搞定了 |
[21:40] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[21:41] | What changed their minds? | 他们怎么改变主意了? |
[21:42] | I guess you did. | 我猜是因为你 |
[21:45] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[21:46] | That’s a good settlement, Jimmy. | 那是一个不错的和解方案,Jimmy |
[21:48] | For you, maybe. | 对你来说,或许吧 |
[21:49] | For the client. | 是对客户而言 |
[21:51] | Well, that would be a lucky coincidence then, | 呃,那可能是碰巧了吧 |
[21:54] | wouldn’t it? | 不是吗? |
[21:56] | Don’t pretend you had | 别假装着你为客户利益着想了,Bobby |
[21:58] | the client’s interest in mind, Bobby. | 别假装着你为客户利益着想了,Bobby |
[22:01] | Maybe I had yours, | 也许我是为你的 |
[22:03] | and Rebecca’s, | Rebecca的 |
[22:04] | and Ellenor’s. | 还有Ellenor的利益着想 |
[22:07] | You think it’s easy running this place, Jimmy? | Jimmy,你以为经营这家事务所很容易吗? |
[22:11] | You like taking home a salary? | 你喜欢拿薪水回家吗? |
[22:13] | You wanna see the books? | 你想看看账本吗? |
[22:16] | I don’t doubt in your heart | 我不怀疑你是全心全意为这家事务所着想 |
[22:19] | you are serving the firm, | 我不怀疑你是全心全意为这家事务所着想 |
[22:22] | but I guess– | 但我想。。。 |
[22:25] | I just wish when serving us, | 我只是希望为我们着想的时候 |
[22:28] | you’d consider what at heart | 你也该考虑一下这家事务所的 |
[22:31] | this firm is. | 核心价值是什么 |
[22:37] | Anyway, | 不管怎样 |
[22:39] | congratulations again | 就这次和解的达成 |
[22:41] | on the settlement. | 再次祝贺你 |
[22:49] | I’m sorry. | 我没听懂 |
[22:50] | You now want to challenge | 你现在是要质疑 |
[22:52] | the constitutionality of the death penalty? | 死刑的和宪性吗? |
[22:54] | FRUTT: As it applies to my client, yes. | 是的,这一点这适用于我的当事人 |
[22:56] | And the show goes on. | 要继续表演了 |
[22:57] | I object to that. | 我反对 |
[22:58] | This is not a show. | 这不是一个表演 |
[22:59] | My client is scheduled | 我的当事人按计划在 |
[23:01] | to be injected | 我的当事人按计划在 |
[23:01] | with lethal poison | 后天被注射毒针处死 |
[23:03] | the day after tomorrow. | 后天被注射毒针处死 |
[23:03] | Your client murdered | 你的当事人谋杀了 |
[23:04] | two young boys | 两个小男孩 |
[23:06] | and has since been on a mission | 而自那时起就不断地 |
[23:07] | to manipulate the system! | 操纵和摆布司法系统! |
[23:08] | To say nothing– She is entitled to be heard, | – 何况。。。 – 她有权得到关注,Parker先生! |
[23:10] | All right! | 好了! |
[23:13] | Ms. Frutt, I must admit | Frutt女士,我必须要承认 |
[23:14] | I share Mr. Parker’s exasperation. | 我和Parker先生一样地恼怒 |
[23:17] | FRUTT: Your Honor, you represent Denise Freeman’s | 法官大人,你就意味着Denise Freeman |
[23:20] | last chance at life. | 生命的最后一次机会 |
[23:23] | It is certainly within your discretion | 裁定让她去死当然是属于你的 |
[23:25] | to let her die. | 自行裁量权范围内的 |
[23:27] | But it would be an abuse of that discretion to do so | 但没有至少听听她律师的意见而这样做 |
[23:29] | without at least hearing from her attorney. | 会是对自行裁量权的滥用 |
[23:32] | I’ve done nothing but hear from you! | 我听你说的还少呀! |
[23:34] | Damn it! | 妈的! |
[23:36] | Say no if you want, | 你不想听就直说 |
[23:37] | but I would like to be heard, | 但我要求听取我的陈述 |
[23:39] | however much it exasperates the court’s patience. | 不管这样会多么地使法庭无法容忍 |
[23:44] | Speak to me like that again, | 再跟我这样说话 |
[23:46] | you’ll get a jail cell of your very own. | 你就会去住单人监房的 |
[23:53] | All right. | 那好吧 |
[23:55] | Let’s go back in. | 我们回庭上去吧 |
[23:55] | I’ll hear you. | 我会听你陈述的 |
[23:56] | I need time to prepare. | 我需要时间准备 |
[24:01] | 9:00 tomorrow. | 明天九点 |
[24:04] | Last call, Counsel. | 最后的机会,律师 |
[24:10] | FRUTT: I need you to pull up Furman. | 我需要你拉上Furman |
[24:11] | Check the concurring opinions. | 查一下多数意见 (多数意见,是指一个或多个法院法官的书面意见, 该意见同意法院多数人所作的决定。) |
[24:12] | See if there’s any language we can make use of. | 看看是否有我们能用上的说法 |
[24:15] | Then pull up Gregg. | 然后去找Gregg |
[24:16] | Look for any dissenting opinion. | 找出所有的少数意见 |
[24:18] | Are you holding up? | 你还撑得住吗? |
[24:21] | I’m fine. | 我没问题 |
[24:22] | I’m gonna go see Denise. | 我要去见Denise |
[24:23] | You get the cases. | 你去找案例 |
[24:24] | I’ll meet you back at the hotel. | 我会在旅馆等你 |
[24:25] | STRINGER: Okay. | 好的 |
[24:30] | FREEMAN: Is the ACLU coming in | 美国公民自由联盟的人 |
[24:32] | with you? | 和你一起来了吗? |
[24:34] | Well… | 呃。。。 |
[24:38] | no. | 没有 |
[24:40] | So you’re going to try | 所以你要靠自己 |
[24:41] | to overturn the death penalty | 去推翻死刑判决吗? |
[24:43] | all by yourself? | 去推翻死刑判决吗? |
[24:45] | You could go back off the medication, | 你可以重新停止服药 |
[24:47] | though I’m not even sure– | 虽然我不能确定。。。 |
[24:50] | I won’t do that again. | 我不会再那样做了 |
[24:53] | I either live on the meds, | 我要么靠药物生活 |
[24:56] | or I die. | 要么去死 |
[24:59] | So, Ellenor, | 所以,Ellenor |
[25:02] | exactly how good are you? | 你到底能做到什么样? |
[25:05] | I’m not this good. | 我没有把握 |
[25:09] | Obviously, Denise, | Denise,很显然 |
[25:10] | this is the ultimate Hail Mary. | 这是最后的祷告了 |
[25:14] | I will do my very best, but… | 我会倾尽全力,但是。。。 |
[25:20] | We’re at the end. | 我们到了最后关头了 |
[25:24] | I’m afraid so. | 恐怕是的 |
[25:32] | I don’t know how to begin thanking you for… | 我不知道该如何感谢你。。。 |
[25:36] | We don’t have to get into that. | 我们不必那样 |
[25:41] | FRUTT: I’ve arranged for you | 我已经为你安排好了出庭了,所以。。。 |
[25:42] | to be present in court, so… | 我已经为你安排好了出庭了,所以。。。 |
[25:47] | One last outing. | 最后一次出行 |
[25:49] | Should I try to escape? | 我应该试着逃跑吗? |
[25:58] | I should probably get to work on… | 我应该开始准备。。。 |
[26:02] | whatever it is I’m gonna say. | 无论如何我也得说些什么 |
[26:09] | I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? | 我们明天见,好吗? |
[26:11] | Okay. | 好的 |
[26:32] | BAILIFF: All rise. | 全体起立 |
[26:41] | Be seated. | 请坐下 |
[26:49] | Okay, Ms. Frutt, I’m listening. | 好了,Frutt女士,你说吧 |
[27:00] | Whether one agrees or disagrees | 无论一个人 |
[27:03] | with the death penalty– | 是赞成还是反对死刑。。。 |
[27:03] | One does. | 我赞成 |
[27:07] | It is reserved as punishment | 死刑是为那些 |
[27:10] | for the worst of criminals, | 最坏的和最可怕的罪犯 |
[27:11] | the most terrible. | 而预留的惩罚 |
[27:14] | Denise Freeman doesn’t fall into that category. | Denise Freeman并不归于此类 |
[27:18] | Of course, her acts of murder were heinous | 当然,她的谋杀行径对于上帝 |
[27:21] | against God, and especially | 尤其是对于两个无辜的小孩子而言 |
[27:23] | against two innocent, young children. | 是令人发指的 |
[27:26] | But Denise Freeman was mentally ill. | 但是Denise Freeman患有精神疾病 |
[27:30] | Though judged legally sane by a jury, | 虽然陪审团认定为法律意义上的精神健全 |
[27:33] | she clearly wasn’t. | 可她显然不是 |
[27:35] | She was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia | 她在庭审之后不久被诊断为 |
[27:38] | shortly after the trial. | 偏执性精神分裂症 |
[27:40] | Medication not only successfully treated this disease, | 药物不仅成功地治疗了这种疾病 |
[27:44] | but she developed into a role model, | 还使她成为了一个楷模 |
[27:46] | offering such profound public service to others | 为他人提供如此具有深度的公益服务 |
[27:49] | that Steven Marshall, the Warden | 那位Steven Marshall先生 |
[27:52] | at the Goffstown Correctional Facility, | Goffstown教养所的典狱长 |
[27:53] | has petitioned you | 向您请愿 |
[27:55] | to save her life. | 以挽救她的生命 |
[27:58] | Had Ms. Freeman received | 如果Freeman女士得到了 |
[27:59] | an adequate defense, she likely– | 一个合格的辩护,她可能。。。 |
[28:01] | Counsel, this is neither a retrial of the facts | 律师,这既不是一次针对案情的重审 |
[28:05] | nor your client’s defense. | 也与你当事人得到什么样的辩护无关 |
[28:06] | I understand that, Your Honor, | 我明白这一点,法官大人 |
[28:09] | but you are permitted to consider | 但是你可以考虑到 |
[28:12] | that the finding of sanity was made | 有关精神健全的裁定是在 |
[28:14] | by 12 laypeople, | 几乎没有为我当事人提供精神病证据的情况下 |
[28:15] | with almost no psychiatric testimony introduced | 几乎没有为我当事人提供精神病证据的情况下 |
[28:19] | on my client’s behalf. | 由陪审团那12个外行人得出的 |
[28:20] | You are allowed to consider | 你可以考虑到 |
[28:23] | that Denise Freeman was poor, | Denise Freeman是个穷人 |
[28:25] | that her murder trial lasted a total of three days, | 她的谋杀案审判总共持续了三天 |
[28:29] | her defense taking up one day. | 而给她的辩护时间只有一天 |
[28:33] | You are allowed to consider | 你也可以考虑到 |
[28:34] | that the overwhelming medical evidence found her | 压倒性的医学证据认定 |
[28:38] | to be insane. | 她是精神失常的 |
[28:41] | And as such, I would submit | 因此,我认为 |
[28:42] | you are certainly allowed to conclude | 你必然可以得出 |
[28:45] | that Denise Freeman does not fall | Denise Freeman不属于那种 |
[28:47] | into “the most terrible of criminals,” | 我们为其预留了死刑惩罚的 |
[28:51] | the ones for which we reserve | “最可怕的罪犯”的结论 |
[28:54] | the penalty of death. | “最可怕的罪犯”的结论 |
[28:56] | And I would also remind the court | 我还要提醒法庭 |
[28:58] | that as horrible as these murders were, | 尽管这些谋杀案很恐怖 |
[29:02] | they did not involve rape or torture. | 但并没有涉及强奸或酷刑 |
[29:05] | There was no evidence of any physical suffering. | 没有任何证据显示那两个孩子遭受了痛苦 |
[29:09] | The deaths were instantaneous. | 死亡是瞬间发生的 |
[29:11] | She did not act | 她并不是出于 |
[29:13] | out of hatred or evil. | 仇恨或邪恶 |
[29:18] | If you are to execute a mentally ill person | 如果你对一个没有判断力和预谋的 |
[29:21] | who kills painlessly, | 且其杀戮没有产生痛苦的 |
[29:23] | without judgment, | 精神病人予以处决 |
[29:25] | without premeditation, | 精神病人予以处决 |
[29:28] | then we are to say | 那我们就要说 |
[29:29] | all murderers should be executed, | 所有的谋杀犯都应该被处决 |
[29:32] | and we don’t say that, Your Honor. | 但我们不会那样说的,法官大人 |
[29:33] | Instead, we reserve the penalty of death | 相反,我们把死刑预留给 |
[29:37] | for the most evil, | 那些最邪恶的最残忍的罪犯 |
[29:38] | the most dastardly. | 那些最邪恶的最残忍的罪犯 |
[29:41] | Denise Freeman simply does not fall | Denise Freeman根本不归于此类 |
[29:45] | into that category, | Denise Freeman根本不归于此类 |
[29:46] | and her punishment should accordingly | 因此对她的惩罚应该 |
[29:49] | be reduced to life imprisonment. | 减为无期徒刑 |
[30:11] | We judge the criminal act, | 我们所评判的是犯罪行为 |
[30:14] | not the criminal actor. | 而不是犯罪的人 |
[30:16] | When a young child is murdered, | 一个小孩被谋杀 |
[30:18] | that’s the most terrible of crimes. | 那就是最恐怖的罪行 |
[30:21] | When two are murdered– | 而二个小孩被谋杀。。。 |
[30:24] | this murderer was judged sane, | 这个杀人犯被裁定是精神健全的 |
[30:26] | Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[30:27] | Ms. Frutt knows this. | Frutt女士明白这一点 |
[30:29] | She’s here mostly because she’s against | 她在此更多是因为她 |
[30:31] | the death penalty. | 反对死刑 |
[30:32] | Objection! | 反对! |
[30:33] | I say this only | 我这样说只是 |
[30:34] | to put her eloquent pleas | 要说明她那滔滔雄辩的真正背景 |
[30:35] | in a proper context. | 要说明她那滔滔雄辩的真正背景 |
[30:36] | The commitment that she feigns | 她假装对Denise Freeman的生命 |
[30:38] | towards Denise Freeman’s life is inextricably bound up | 所作的承诺与她反对死刑的观点 |
[30:41] | with her opposition to the death penalty. | 有着千丝万缕的联系 |
[30:43] | Mr. Parker, | Parker先生 |
[30:45] | I’ll ask you to confine your remarks | 我要求你将你的论述 |
[30:46] | to this case only. | 仅限于本案 |
[30:49] | PARKER: All right, Your Honor. | 好的,法官大人 |
[30:51] | Ms. Frutt said that these crimes | Frutt女士称这些罪行 |
[30:53] | didn’t involve much suffering. | 没有导致太多痛苦 |
[30:57] | Here sit Arnold and Cindy Graham, | Arnold和Cindy Graham就坐在这里 |
[31:00] | the boys’ parents. | 他们是孩子的双亲 |
[31:01] | This woman was at the park that day. | 这个女人那天在公园里 |
[31:04] | She saw the heads | 她亲眼看到 |
[31:05] | of her only two children explode. | 她仅有的两个孩子被爆头 |
[31:08] | They’ve had to go through trials and tribulations | 他们这八年来不得不经历庭审和诸多磨难 |
[31:10] | for eight long years, | 他们这八年来不得不经历庭审和诸多磨难 |
[31:12] | waiting for this day, for closure, | 等待结束的这一天 |
[31:14] | only to have to come to this room | 结果却不得不到法庭上来 |
[31:16] | to listen to a defense attorney claim | 听辩方律师说什么 |
[31:18] | that the murders weren’t terrible enough, | 谋杀并不太恐怖 |
[31:21] | not enough suffering, | 不太痛苦 |
[31:23] | no evil at work. | 并不邪恶 |
[31:24] | They’ve had to witness a last-minute gross distortion | 他们不得不目睹我们的司法体系 |
[31:28] | of our legal system, | 在最后一刻被严重扭曲 |
[31:29] | where the killer goes off medication | 杀人犯为了变成疯子 |
[31:31] | for the purpose | 以躲避执行死刑 |
[31:32] | of becoming too insane to execute. | 而停止服药 |
[31:35] | I asked before, I’ll ask you again, | 我之前问过,我要再问一次 |
[31:37] | where does it stop? | 这何时是个头呀? |
[31:43] | Uh, when I grow up, I wanna be vice-president. | 呃,等我长大了,我想当副总统 |
[31:46] | Vice-Presidents get to have girlfriends, | 副总统可以找女朋友 |
[31:47] | and people don’t make a big deal. | 大家不会把这儿当回事 |
[31:49] | RYAN (over TV): You’re gonna have a girlfriend? | 你要有女朋友了吗? |
[31:50] | Lots of them. | 会有很多 |
[31:51] | I got that “thang.” | 我有那个“东西” |
[31:52] | Girls like it. | 女孩喜欢的 |
[31:53] | RYAN (over TV): What thang? | 什么东西? |
[31:54] | That thang I got. | 我找到的那个东西 |
[31:56] | Timothy Graham for VP, | Timothy Graham,有那个“东西”的副总统候选人 |
[31:58] | the candidate with “thang.” | Timothy Graham,有那个“东西”的副总统候选人 |
[32:05] | Tim Graham won’t get to run for vice-president. | Tim Graham在过去的八年里没能竞选副总统 |
[32:09] | In the last eight years, | Tim Graham在过去的八年里没能竞选副总统 |
[32:10] | Denise Freeman got to laugh, | Denise Freeman可以笑 |
[32:13] | Timothy and Ryan Graham didn’t. | Timothy和Ryan Graham不能 |
[32:16] | Denise Freeman experienced joy on occasion, | Denise Freeman有时也会感到快乐 |
[32:20] | Timothy and Ryan didn’t. | Timothy和Ryan不能 |
[32:22] | Denise Freeman got to live, | Denise Freeman可以活着 |
[32:26] | Timothy and Ryan didn’t. | Timothy和Ryan却不能 |
[32:29] | Society can only express its feelings for crime | 社会只能通过给予惩罚 |
[32:32] | by the punishment it metes out. | 来表达对犯罪的态度 |
[32:34] | To let her live now is to ignore and prolong | 让她活到现在就是 |
[32:37] | the misery of these parents, | 无视和延长这些父母的痛苦 |
[32:40] | and to say that the life of Denise Freeman… | 何况还说什么Denise Freeman的生命。。。 |
[32:45] | matters more than those two innocent children. | 比那两个无辜的孩子更重要 |
[33:00] | Ms. Frutt, | Frutt女士 |
[33:02] | I’ll give you the final word. | 我会让你做最后的陈述 |
[33:15] | FRUTT: I have a two-year-old daughter. | 我有一个二岁大的女儿 |
[33:17] | If somebody were to shoot her dead | 如果有人在儿童攀爬架上 |
[33:19] | on a jungle gym, | 把她爆了头 |
[33:21] | I would not only want that person killed, | 我不仅想让那人去死 |
[33:23] | I would like the satisfaction | 我还会恨不得亲手杀了他 |
[33:24] | of doing it myself. | 我还会恨不得亲手杀了他 |
[33:26] | I would even want that killer to suffer. | 我甚至想让凶手遭受痛苦 |
[33:29] | It’s human nature, | 这是人类的本性 |
[33:32] | but it isn’t right. | 但这样做不对 |
[33:35] | One of the reasons I’m here today | 我在此的一个原因 |
[33:38] | is because my daughter | 是因为我的女儿 |
[33:39] | is still alive, | 还活着 |
[33:42] | and I worry about the world | 我对我们将传递给她的这个世界感到担忧 |
[33:45] | we pass on to her. | 我对我们将传递给她的这个世界感到担忧 |
[33:47] | I plan to teach my little girl | 我打算教育我的小女儿 |
[33:49] | that it is never okay to commit murder, | 杀人是绝对不行的 |
[33:52] | though the state says otherwise. | 尽管政府另有规定 |
[33:55] | I plan to teach my daughter | 我打算教育我的女儿 |
[33:57] | that we do not respond to violence | 我们不应 |
[33:59] | with more violence or vengeance, | 以暴制暴 |
[34:01] | though the state says otherwise. | 尽管政府另有规定 |
[34:04] | I plan to teach her | 我打算教育她 |
[34:06] | that life, every life, is sacred, | 生命,每个生命,都是神圣的 |
[34:10] | though the state says otherwise. | 尽管政府另有规定 |
[34:13] | In truth, the murder being advocated | 事实上,今天由政府支持的这起谋杀 |
[34:16] | by the government today | 事实上,今天由政府支持的这起谋杀 |
[34:17] | is far more premeditated than the ones committed | 比Denise Freeman所犯下的谋杀 |
[34:20] | by Denise Freeman. | 更具有预谋性 |
[34:22] | The murder being advocated | 今天由政府支持的这起谋杀 |
[34:23] | by the government today | 今天由政府支持的这起谋杀 |
[34:25] | is with clarity of mind, | 思路清晰 |
[34:27] | with reason, | 有合理解释 |
[34:28] | and with much more hatred | 而且具有实质上 |
[34:30] | in the heart | 而且具有实质上 |
[34:31] | than was true of Denise Freeman. | 比Denise Freeman更多的仇恨 |
[34:33] | The murder being advocated | 今天由政府支持的这起谋杀是一种仪式 |
[34:35] | by the government today is one of ceremony. | 今天由政府支持的这起谋杀是一种仪式 |
[34:41] | Killing Denise Freeman might bring closure | 处死Denise Freeman也许 |
[34:44] | for the victims’ family. | 会给受害人的家人带来解脱 |
[34:46] | It will no doubt bring cheers | 无疑会带来很多 |
[34:48] | from much of the community, | 来自社区的居民的喝彩 |
[34:52] | but it isn’t right. | 但这样做不对 |
[34:56] | When I was a kid, | 当我还是个孩子的时候 |
[34:58] | I memorized Clarence Darrow’s | 我熟记了克莱伦斯·丹诺 |
[35:00] | closing argument on Leopold and Loeb. | 在Leopold和Loeb一案中的结案陈词 |
[35:03] | It’s what made me wanna become a lawyer. | 那使我想成为一名律师 |
[35:06] | I often wondered | 我经常想 |
[35:07] | if I’d ever have a case like that, | 是否我会有一个这样的案子 |
[35:11] | where I would stand before a judge | 我站在法官面前 |
[35:14] | and ask him to spare | 请求他赦免 |
[35:15] | another human being’s life. | 另一个人的生命 |
[35:18] | I can’t improve on Clarence Darrow, | 我无法做得比克莱伦斯·丹诺还好 |
[35:22] | so I will finish with what he said. | 所以我用他的话来结束我的陈述 |
[35:26] | “I am pleading for the future. | “我祈求未来 |
[35:30] | I am pleading for a time when hatred and cruelty | 我祈求有一天人们的心灵 |
[35:33] | will not control the hearts of men, | 不会被仇恨和残忍所控制 |
[35:36] | when we can learn by reason and judgment, | 那时我们能够通过理性和判断 |
[35:40] | and understanding | 还有谅解和信任 |
[35:42] | and faith, | 来认识到 |
[35:44] | that all life is worth saving, | 所有的生命都是值得拯救的 |
[35:48] | and that mercy | 那样的仁慈 |
[35:50] | is the highest attribute of man.” | 是人类的最高属性” |
[36:15] | Ellenor… | |
[36:19] | honestly… | 说实话 |
[36:23] | if I killed your daughter, | 如果我杀了你的女儿 |
[36:27] | do you think you could find it in your heart | 你觉得你会发自内心地 |
[36:29] | to argue for my life? | 来为我的生命辩护吗? |
[36:32] | Absolutely not. | 绝对不会 |
[36:36] | So, all that talk | 那么,你说的那些 |
[36:40] | about kindness overcoming cruelty– | 仁慈战胜残酷的话。。。 |
[36:43] | I believe in it, totally, | 我完全相信那些 |
[36:49] | except if anyone harmed my daughter. | 除非有人伤害了我的女儿 |
[37:00] | You didn’t quote my favorite part. | 你没有引用我最喜欢的部分 |
[37:03] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么? |
[37:05] | Darrow’s closing. | 丹诺的结案陈词 |
[37:07] | He talked about how… | 他谈到。。。 |
[37:08] | we used to hang, | 我们以前采用绞刑 |
[37:11] | and behead, | 斩首 |
[37:13] | and torture | 酷刑 |
[37:15] | and cut into pieces, | 还有碎尸 |
[37:19] | all these inconceivable punishments. | 所有这些不可思议的惩罚 |
[37:23] | But then, we began to evolve | 但之后,我们作为一个国家 |
[37:26] | as a nation | 但之后,我们作为一个国家 |
[37:28] | to a point where now we look back | 开始进化到现在我们会带着恐惧反思那些事情的地步 |
[37:31] | on those things with horror. | 开始进化到现在我们会带着恐惧反思那些事情的地步 |
[37:35] | He said the future was on his side, | 他说过未来是站在他那一边的 |
[37:38] | because one day | 因为有一天 |
[37:39] | we, too, would look back | 我们也会带着愧疚和羞耻去 |
[37:42] | at capital punishment | 我们也会带着愧疚和羞耻去 |
[37:44] | with embarrassment and shame. | 对死刑进行反思 |
[37:51] | “The future is with me,” | “未来与我同在” |
[37:54] | he said. | 他说的 |
[38:01] | We need the future to be today. | 我们要让未来就是今天 |
[38:12] | Judge is coming in. | 法官回来了 |
[38:23] | BAILIFF: Be seated. | 请坐下 |
[38:32] | Stand up, Ms. Freeman. | 请站起来,Freeman女士 |
[38:38] | Ms. Frutt, as much as you’d like me | Frutt女士,尽管你希望我推翻死刑 |
[38:41] | to overturn the death penalty, | Frutt女士,尽管你希望我推翻死刑 |
[38:43] | I’m not going to do that. | 我不打算那样做 |
[38:45] | Anybody who murders two innocent children, | 对于任何杀害了两个无辜孩子的人 |
[38:48] | I have a difficult time | 由其律师对我大谈道德 |
[38:51] | having that person’s attorney | 由其律师对我大谈道德 |
[38:52] | preach to me on morality. | 都使我很难接受 |
[38:56] | But I have to acknowledge | 但我不得不承认 |
[38:58] | the evidence is overwhelming. | 证据是确凿的 |
[39:01] | If not insane, Ms. Freeman | 就算不是精神失常, |
[39:03] | was at least mentally infirm | Freeman女士在承认犯下那些令人发指的罪行时 |
[39:06] | at the time she committed | Freeman女士在承认犯下那些令人发指的罪行时 |
[39:07] | those heinous acts. | 至少也是精神虚弱的 |
[39:11] | I therefore find that the death penalty | 因此我认为死刑 |
[39:14] | is not appropriate here, | 是不恰当的 |
[39:17] | and the execution is hereby stayed. | 死刑特此暂缓执行 |
[39:23] | That’s all. | 就这样了 |
[39:47] | I live. | 我活下来了 |
[39:52] | You live. | 我活下来了 |
[40:31] | YOUNG: Next on The Practice. | 下集预告 |