时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | previously on The Practice | |
[00:01] | I’d love to submit your name to the Governor’s Council. | 我愿意提名你进入州法委 |
[00:03] | To be a Superior Court judge? | 做名高院法官? |
[00:05] | Well, you’re acting like I don’t have the right to leave. | 你这样子就像是我没有离开的权力 |
[00:06] | – Like like I owe you. – I never said . . . | -像是…像是我欠你 -我从没说过… |
[00:08] | I have the right. | 我有这权力 |
[00:11] | I’ve always wanted to hang my own shingle. | 我一直想自立门户 |
[00:13] | And when would you do this? | 你打算什么时候开始? |
[00:14] | It needs to be now. | 必须是现在 |
[00:16] | I talked to my friend at the Bureau. Your ass wasn’t bugged. | 我和局里的朋友谈了 你的屁股没装窃听器 |
[00:19] | – What did you expect? – I think it’s possible she flipped you, Manny. | -你还能有什么指望? -我觉得有可能她告发了你 Manny |
[00:22] | GiGi? | GiGi吗? |
[00:23] | I know you love Manny. | 我知道你爱Manny |
[00:25] | but you gotta tell me how you were coerced | 但是你得告诉你是怎么被强迫的 |
[00:28] | – This is Lenny Pescatore. – How can I help you? | -这位是Lenny Pescatore -有什么能为您效劳? |
[00:31] | I’m a neighborhood lawyer, too. | 我也是个社区律师 |
[00:32] | Only problem | 唯一的问题是 |
[00:35] | I’m the neighborhood lawyer, | 我才是那个社区律师 |
[00:38] | I thought you were absolutely | 我觉得你在那吧台上 |
[00:40] | sensational up on that bar. | 无比撩人 |
[00:48] | Well, that was surprising. | 真让人惊讶 |
[00:50] | I kissed you. It was totally inappropriate. | 我吻了你 太失态了 |
[00:53] | I have this way of making women feel | 我能让女人一开始觉得 |
[00:57] | wonderful, | 很美好 |
[00:59] | but | 但是 |
[01:01] | less than, in the end. | 在最后会怅然若失 |
[01:03] | Maybe you haven’t met the right girl. | 或许是你没有遇到合适的女孩儿 |
[01:04] | Perhaps. | 也许吧 |
[01:06] | I think you like me. | 我觉得你喜欢我 |
[01:08] | Shhh. | 嘘嘘… |
[01:12] | Alan, hold up. Yo. | Alan 等等 嘿(Yo) |
[01:13] | Did you just say, yo? | 你刚刚是不是说了”Yo” |
[01:15] | I’m very upset. I thought we had a kinda | 我很失落 我以为我们有点… |
[01:17] | – you know? thing going? – A thing? | -你瞧…眉目了 -眉目 |
[01:20] | Yes, a thing. We kissed. That’s a . . . | 是的 眉目 我们亲吻了 这是个… |
[01:22] | – You kissed. – And you received, and we danced, | -你亲的我 -你接受了 我们跳了舞 |
[01:25] | you grabbed my ass, you | 你捏了我屁股 你… |
[01:27] | you saluted my quest to be myself. | 你欣赏我追求自我的态度 |
[01:29] | That at least adds up to a potential thing | 起码这些种种透露出来了一些眉目 |
[01:31] | that needs to be dealt with. | 需要来处理 |
[01:33] | Sally, when I told you I was attracted to professional women I truly meant… | Sally 当我告诉你 职业女性令我着迷 我是真的在说 |
[01:38] | professional women. | “职业女性” (公私分明) |
[01:41] | I’m not accepting that. | 我不接受 |
[01:44] | You’re not accepting it? | 你不接受? |
[01:46] | You like me. | 你喜欢我 |
[01:47] | I can always tell when a man has feelings for me. | 我总能察觉到一个男人是否对我有好感 |
[01:49] | I don’t care how much you try to kid yourself, | 我不在乎你多想自欺 |
[01:52] | you’re not fooling me. | 你骗不了我 |
[02:03] | Tara? | |
[02:04] | Denny Crane. | |
[02:05] | I’m ahead of you there. | 我给你带路 |
[02:06] | Wonderful news. Had breakfast this morning. | 好消息 今早吃了早饭 |
[02:09] | You must be beside yourself. | 那你肯定很激动了 |
[02:11] | Oh. No, that’s not the news. | 不 这不是要说的新闻 |
[02:13] | Had breakfast this morning | 一起吃早饭的 |
[02:15] | with general counsel of perhaps | 是和一个法律顾问 他所在的那公司… |
[02:17] | one of the leading car manufacturers of this country. You know who that is? | 可能是这个国家里汽车制造业的龙头之一 你知道是谁了吗? |
[02:21] | America? | 美国? |
[02:22] | We’re taking over their S.U.V. cases, which is beyond huge. | 我们要接下SUV案 超级大案 |
[02:26] | I want Hannah, Alan, you of course in my office at 1400 hours. | 我要Hannah Alan 当然还有你 两点整到我办公室来 |
[02:30] | Aye, aye. | 好的 好的 |
[02:31] | Denny Crane. | |
[02:40] | The Practice s8e21 | |
[03:17] | I’m not gonna tell you your business, Jimmy, | 我不会对你的生意说三道四 Jimmy |
[03:19] | because I know that’s not my place. | 因为我知道自己没这个资格 |
[03:21] | But you gotta stand up to this guy. | 但是你要反抗这个家伙 |
[03:23] | I did. | 我有 |
[03:24] | No, you didn’t. Manny did. | 不 你没有 在反抗的是Manny |
[03:26] | You didn’t do anything. | 你什么也没有做 |
[03:27] | And what should I have done, Suzy? | 那我应该做什么呢 Suzy? |
[03:29] | Again, not my place. | 再说一次 我没资格说 |
[03:32] | But this is the street. | 可这里是街道 |
[03:34] | It’s not some fancy Beacon Hill office. | 不是哪个豪华的Beacon山下的办公楼 |
[03:37] | I asked around. | 我四处打听了一下 |
[03:38] | That fat slob has bullied every lawyer that’s tried to come in here, | 那个蠢肥猪已经吓跑了每一个入主的律师 |
[03:41] | and he intimidates clients, too. | 他还威胁自己的客户 |
[03:44] | I talked to my mother. | 我跟我妈谈过了 |
[03:45] | She says he’s a coward. | 她说他是个懦夫 |
[03:47] | Excuse me, Jimmy? | 打扰一下 Jimmy |
[03:50] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[03:52] | I’ve been playin’ this interrogation thing | 我在自己的脑子里过了一遍又一遍 |
[03:54] | over and over in my head, Jimmy, | 把调查的事想了又想 Jimmy |
[03:56] | and, well, I think maybe the police did coerce me. | 我觉得警察真的有在对我逼供 |
[03:59] | I mean, what I said wasn’t totally voluntary. | 我是说 不是所有的话我都是自愿说的 |
[04:04] | Okay. How so? | 好吧 那是怎么逼供的? |
[04:06] | Well, they attached these tiny little electrode thingies to my privates, | 他们把一个带电的小玩意抵到我的私处 |
[04:11] | and they would zap me if they didn’t like my answers. | 如果他们不喜欢我的回答 就会电我 |
[04:14] | It made me react all involuntary and… | 这让我说出违心的话… |
[04:21] | What? | 什么? |
[04:22] | Manny told you to say this. | 是Manny让你这么说的吧 |
[04:24] | He said they torture, that they’re doin’ this kind of thing in the Guatemala Bay area. | 他说他们虐待犯人 在危地马拉的海湾 就干过这样的事情 |
[04:28] | Guantanamo Bay. | 是关塔那摩 |
[04:30] | GiGi, I am not going to lie. | GiGi 我不打算撒谎 |
[04:34] | If the day comes I decide to lie, | 如果哪天我决定撒谎了 |
[04:36] | it won’t be with one of Manny’s ridiculous concoctions. | 也不会是这种Manny滑稽的捏造 |
[04:40] | I love him, Jimmy, and, | 我爱他 Jimmy 而且 |
[04:42] | well, he won’t take me back, and if you can get this thing to go away, | 他不愿再接受我 如果你能让这事过去 |
[04:45] | well then, maybe I can get him to forgive me. | 那么 也许我可以让他原谅我 |
[04:53] | I just think you should have counsel. | 我只是觉得你需要一个律师 |
[04:55] | The commission wants to hear from me, not my attorney. | 委员会是想听我开口说话 而不是我的代理律师 |
[04:57] | Plus, you can advise me if I need help. | 而且 如果我需要帮助 你可以给我建议 |
[04:59] | No, I cannot. I’m on the Nominating Committee. | 不 我不行 我在提名委员会里 |
[05:01] | – It would be total . . . – Ah. | -那样的话会… -啊 |
[05:03] | Advise me now then. | 那现在就给我建议 |
[05:05] | All right. | 好吧 |
[05:07] | It could get very political. | 可能会变得非常政治化 |
[05:09] | The main thing for you is to impress them with the idea that you will uphold the law. | 你主要要做的就是让他们觉得 你会依法办案 |
[05:14] | As a defense attorney, you could be viewed as being potentially soft on crime. | 最为一名辩护律师 你可能被认为 对犯罪存有心软的态度 |
[05:18] | You do not want to be viewed that way. | 你不会想得到那样的印象 |
[05:22] | I could come with you. | 我可以陪你去 |
[05:24] | I think that would be very wise. | 我觉得这是明智之举 |
[05:26] | Also, | 另外 |
[05:28] | the death penalty. | 还有死刑 |
[05:30] | What about it? | 这其中有什么? |
[05:31] | If it comes up and it may | 如果它被提出来…有这个可能… |
[05:33] | you’ll have to finese this. Romney is looking to impose it. | 你必须说好话 Romney是它的支持者 |
[05:37] | And what? I’m required to agree with that? | 什么? 要求我赞同吗? |
[05:39] | No. You simply say that you’re bound to uphold the law; | 不 你只要说 我会依法办案 |
[05:43] | that as a judge, you will uphold the law, and get out. | 作为一名法官 你会依法办案 就这样 |
[05:47] | This is critical, Eugene. | 这是关键 Eugene |
[05:49] | Is finese in your arsenal? | 你知道怎么说好话吗? |
[05:57] | First thing we need to do is develop a strategy. | 首先我们需要制定一套方案 |
[06:00] | These vehicles still roll. | 这些车子的轮子还再转 |
[06:02] | It’s a growth industry, and I want to capture it. | 这是一个成长的行业 我想要抓住它 |
[06:06] | We need a strategy. | 我们需要一个方案 |
[06:07] | Hannah, I’d like you to come up with an overall . . . | Hannah 我需要你想一个… |
[06:10] | What’s the word? Uh . . . | 那词儿怎么说? |
[06:12] | – Strategy? – Exactly. | -方案? -一点没错 |
[06:14] | Alan. | |
[06:15] | Turns out, our first case comes up for trial in June. | 看来 我们的第一件案子会在六月开庭 |
[06:20] | Your former colleague is handling it. | 你的旧同事在处理它 |
[06:22] | That big-boned woman from your old firm | 你老东家里的那个大块头女人… |
[06:25] | the one that scares me. | 那个让我怕怕的人 |
[06:26] | – Ellenor Frutt. – Mmm. | -嗯 |
[06:28] | Our client will no doubt be evaluating us in this first case. | 我们的客户无疑会在这第一件案子中评价我们 |
[06:32] | I’d like you to take it, since . . . | 我希望你也能接下这官司 既然… |
[06:34] | I’m afraid I can’t. | 恐怕我不行 |
[06:37] | Why not? | 为什么不行? |
[06:38] | Ellenor’s a friend. I’m not trying cases against her. | Ellenor是朋友 我不会和她对簿公堂 |
[06:41] | Son, success is never so sweet | 孩子 那种成功的甜蜜只有在 |
[06:44] | as when we can crush a friend in the process | 你践踏了一个朋友才会品尝到 |
[06:46] | Just the same. | 还是那个回答 |
[06:48] | Hannah? | |
[06:50] | You don’t have friends, do you? | 你没有朋友吧 是吗? |
[06:51] | – None. – Excellent. | -没有 -好极了 |
[06:53] | Tara, see that Hannah gets what she needs. | Tara 看看Hannah需要些什么 |
[06:55] | I believe that covers it. Anything else? | 我想该说的都说了 还有什么吗? |
[06:58] | – Your name. – Oh, yes. | -你的名字 -哦 是的 |
[07:02] | Denny Crane. | |
[07:05] | Dismissed. | 散会 |
[07:09] | – Manny. – I can’t go flippin’ Charlie Andretti, Jimmy. | -我不能去告发Charlie Andretti Jimmy |
[07:12] | I mean, we need to come up with a solution that allow me to go on living. | 我是说 我们需要一个 能让我继续过活的解决之道 |
[07:14] | I will not be saying the Feds attached electrodes to your girlfriend’s genitalia. | 我不会去说联邦警察把一个电极 抵上你女朋友的生殖器 |
[07:19] | Now stop being an idiot! | 别再犯傻了! |
[07:23] | I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. | 对不起 我不是故意的 |
[07:25] | You know I got labeling issues. | 你知道我反感别人给我贴标签 |
[07:27] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[07:30] | She wants you back, you know. GiGi. | 她想重新和你在一起 你知道的 GiGi |
[07:33] | Aww . . . | 啊… |
[07:34] | Manny, sometimes the toughest thing in the world to do is forgive. | Manny 有时世界上最难做的事就是原谅一个人 |
[07:39] | And sometimes, the more you love somebody, the harder it is. | 有时候 你越是爱对方 你越是不能原谅 |
[07:43] | What are you Dear Abby now? | 你现在是”知心Abby”了吗? |
[07:48] | Spinny! | |
[07:49] | What happened to your head? | 你的头是怎么了? |
[07:51] | Ten guesses. | 让你猜十次 |
[07:52] | The Fish. | 那家伙 |
[07:53] | Not personally, but his name did come up between kicks. | 虽然不是当面 但在被踢打的时候我听到了他的名字 |
[07:58] | I gotta fire you, Jimmy. | 我要解雇你 Jimmy |
[07:59] | Spinny, I will talk to him. | Spinny 我会跟他谈谈 |
[08:02] | He’s got me by the cogliones. I’m into this guy for 25 hundred, plus juice. | 他有我的把柄 我欠他2500 加上利息 |
[08:05] | He’s juicing you? | 他还要你利息? |
[08:07] | Yeah, point and a half. | 是的 0.5% |
[08:08] | Well, does he do this with everybody? | 他对每个人都这样吗? |
[08:10] | Hey! If I borrowed from a loan shark, I’d be payin’ five points a week. | 嘿! 如果我向高利贷借 那我一星期就要还5%的利息 |
[08:14] | That’s, of course, if I was to pay him. | 当然 那我还不如借他的 |
[08:17] | Suzy, cancel this afternoon’s appointments. | Suzy 取消下午的预约 |
[08:21] | What appointments? People just walk in here. | 什么预约? 大家都是直接走进这里 |
[08:26] | Do you see yourself bringing any particular | 你觉得自己会给法官一职 |
[08:28] | judicial philosophy to the bench? | 带来任何独到的司法理念吗? |
[08:30] | I would like to see the courts, | 我要让法庭 |
[08:32] | and specifically judges, show respect for the law. | 特别是法官 尊重我们的法律 |
[08:35] | You think that’s currently a problem? | 你觉得这是目前的一个问题? |
[08:37] | A big one. | 很大的一个 |
[08:38] | We’ve got overcrowded dockets, | 我们的案卷被塞得满满 |
[08:39] | and more and more judges are becoming slaves to expediency. | 越来越多的法官成了功利的奴隶 |
[08:43] | More and more, the Constitution is being molded and manipulated | 宪法也越来越多地被篡改 玩弄于鼓掌 |
[08:46] | to fit a judge’s political or moral point of view. | 来迎合一个法官政治上或者是道德上的主见 |
[08:49] | Uh, it has to stop. | 不能再这么下去了 |
[08:51] | I can see your firm has handled several capital cases out of state, | 我看到你们事务所接过其他州的死刑上诉 |
[08:55] | each time taking a position against the death penalty. | 每次都是反对执行死刑 |
[09:01] | we’re a defense firm. | 我们是一所被告律师事务所 |
[09:03] | Our clients tend to disfavor being executed. | 我们的客户往往都会反对被处决 |
[09:07] | Fair enough, | 很合理 |
[09:08] | but as a judge, would you impose the death penalty, | 但作为一名法官 你会推广死刑 |
[09:11] | should it ever become law in this state? | 觉得应该将它写入本州的法律吗? |
[09:14] | No. | 不 |
[09:15] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[09:17] | One I consider human life to be intrinsically sacred, | 第一 我认为人的生命是神圣不可侵犯的 |
[09:20] | and I do not believe the state should engage | 我不认为国家该致力于 |
[09:22] | in the systemized taking of human life. | 用一套系统去剥夺人的生命 |
[09:25] | Two Our judicial system is flawed. | 第二 我们的司法系统有缺陷 |
[09:28] | We wrongly convict over 10,000 people a year, | 我们每年会发生1万件错误的判决 |
[09:31] | some of whom are sentenced to die. | 其中一些被判处了死刑 |
[09:34] | Now, you can always release an exonerated man from prison, | 现在 你可以将一个无罪之人释放 |
[09:37] | but bringin’ him back from death has proven to be trickier. | 但要让一个人起死回生却难于登天 |
[09:40] | D.N.A. has already cleared a hundred men, | DNA技术已经为数以百计的人洗脱罪名 |
[09:43] | many on death row. | 许多都是被关在临刑监房里的人 |
[09:44] | Clearly, something isn’t working. | 显然 有什么失效了 |
[09:47] | And what would you say, Mr. Young, | 那么 Young先生 你会对一个 |
[09:49] | to the mother whose five-year-old daughter has been raped and murdered? | 自己五岁的女儿被先奸后杀的母亲说什么 |
[09:57] | I would say, if it were my daughter, | 我会说 如果那是的我女儿 |
[10:00] | I’d like to kill whoever did it myself. | 我会亲手结果了那家伙 |
[10:03] | And if I ever came face-to-face with the guy, | 如果哪天我跟这家伙面对面 |
[10:05] | I couldn’t guarantee any of you that I wouldn’t kill him. | 我不能向任何人保证 我不会动手杀了他 |
[10:08] | But if I did, it would be wrong. | 但如果我做了 那就是错的 |
[10:12] | And for the state to kill reflectively, absent emotion, on ceremony, | 但是对一个国家来说深思熟虑地 冷酷无情地 举行仪式般地去杀戮 |
[10:16] | it is not right. | 这是错的 |
[10:17] | And if I might add, one of the biggest problems we have today | 如果再多说一句 当今我们最大的问题… |
[10:21] | our children are being raised in a culture that not only condones revenge, | 我们的孩子正在这样一种文化中成长– 复仇是可以被宽恕的 |
[10:25] | but perhaps even celebrates it as a societal good. | 甚至把它当作是在和谐我们的社会而被歌颂 |
[10:31] | It’s wrong. | 这是错的 |
[10:46] | I don’t understand, Eugene. | 我不明白 Eugene |
[10:48] | Do you not want to be confirmed? | 你不想被通过吗? |
[10:50] | I want to be confirmed for who I am, not who they want me to be. | 我想以自己的为人被通过 而不是被当成一个他们理想中的人 |
[10:53] | Come on. You can’t possibly be so pigheaded that you . . . | 得了 你不会傻到… |
[10:56] | What did you say? | 你说什么? |
[10:57] | Eugene. | |
[10:59] | Can we please have an honest conversation here? | 我们能不能开诚布公地谈一谈 |
[11:02] | Do you want this judgeship or not? | 你到底想不想成为一名法官 |
[11:11] | I want it desperately. | 我求之若渴 |
[11:14] | Then why behave so . . . | 那为什么要做出… |
[11:17] | I truly don’t get it. | 我真的搞不懂 |
[11:20] | My brother went to jail for a crime he didn’t do. You know this. | 我的哥哥无辜入狱 这事你知道 |
[11:24] | – He died in prison. – And? | -他死在了监狱里 -然后呢? |
[11:28] | But . . . And since that day, I made a vow. | 可是…从那天起 我就立下了一个誓言 |
[11:31] | Ah, the best way to fix the justice system is up there on the bench, and . . . | 一个纠正司法系统的最好的办法 就是坐在法官席上 |
[11:36] | I think the reason I want it so bad, Ellenor, | 我想这就是我那么渴望它的原因 Ellenor |
[11:39] | it¡ss because . . . | 因为… |
[11:40] | it’s the same thing that makes me so angry | 当我想起我的哥哥 |
[11:42] | when I think of what happened to my brother and . . . | 同样的事情就让我感到无比愤怒 |
[11:44] | Then get there, Eugene. | 那就去争取吧 Eugene |
[11:46] | Get there for your brother. | 为了你的哥哥 得到这个位置 |
[11:52] | Hello. | 你们好 |
[11:53] | Uh, I’m looking for Ellenor Frutt. | 我找Ellenor Frutt |
[11:55] | I’m Ellenor Frutt. | 我是Ellenor Frutt |
[11:58] | Hi. I’m Hannah Rose. | 嗨 我是Hannah Rose |
[12:01] | We just took over the Lansing Motors case. We now represent the defendants. | 我们刚接手Lansing汽车商的案子 我们现在是被告的律师 |
[12:04] | Oh. | 哦 |
[12:05] | I’m from Crane Poole & Schmidt, where Alan Shore works. | 我来自Crane Poole & Schmidt事务所 Alan Shore现在的东家 |
[12:10] | And while I know things ended badly between Alan and this firm, | 我知道Alan和你们事务所不欢而散 |
[12:14] | and I thought to avoid getting off on an acrimonious foot, | 所以我想为了避免冲突 |
[12:17] | I’d just come by and introduce myself. | 我就顺道来拜访一下 介绍一下自己 |
[12:20] | Actually, Alan and I remain friends. | 实际上 Alan和我还是朋友 |
[12:23] | Oh, well, that’s a relief to know. | 真是让人松了一口气 |
[12:24] | I am not a huge fan of contention. | 我不太喜欢与人争执 |
[12:27] | And you chose a career in litigation. | 而你还选择进了律师行 |
[12:29] | I look at it more as dispute resolution. | 我只是把它当成是解决纠纷 |
[12:33] | Anyway, toward that end, | 所以为此 |
[12:34] | I was reviewing your motion to compel productions of documents. | 我看了你提出要强制提供文献的动议 |
[12:37] | I believe prior counsel was a little withholding, as you suspected, | 正如你所怀疑的 我相信前任律师是有所隐藏 |
[12:40] | and I intend to have all documents delivered by the close of bussines. | 我会在这里下班之前 把所有档案送过来 |
[12:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:49] | Anyway, it was nice to meet you. | 总之 很高兴见到你 |
[13:04] | She seemed nice. | 她似乎挺和善的 |
[13:09] | Alan. | |
[13:10] | Yo. Again. | 你好啊 |
[13:12] | Tonight’s lousy for me. Hannah assigned me some research on the S.U.V. case, | 今晚我很忙 Hannah安排我 去做SUV案子的调查工作 |
[13:16] | so we’ll have to make it tomorrow night. | 所以我们把它安排到明晚吧 |
[13:20] | Make what tomorrow night? | 把什么安排到明晚 |
[13:22] | Our dinner. | 我们的晚餐 |
[13:24] | Didn’t I tell you we were having dinner? | 我没有告诉你我们要吃晚饭吗? |
[13:26] | No, Sally, you forgot to mention that. | 没有 Sally 你忘记说了 |
[13:28] | Well, now you know. | 那你现在知道了吧 |
[13:33] | Wait a second. Yo! | 等一下 嘿 |
[13:39] | I swear. I had nothing to do with that. | 我发誓 这跟我一点没关系 |
[13:43] | Go to dinner with her, Alan. | 和她去吃晚饭吧 Alan |
[13:46] | I I thought you wanted me to ask you to dinner. | 我…我以为你想要我请你吃晚饭 |
[13:49] | Perhaps I do. But I’m speaking in your interests now, | 也许是的 但是我现在为你着想 |
[13:52] | and your interests seem to lie with her. | 你的兴趣似乎是和她睡觉 |
[13:54] | Don’t be ridiculous. She’s a child | 别傻了 她是个孩子 |
[13:56] | it would be a violation of my parole to have dinner with her. | 和她吃饭 我就违反了假释条件 |
[13:59] | You see, here’s what you need to know. | 你瞧 你得知道 |
[14:02] | Is that you like her and you don’t like yourself. | 你喜欢她 同时你不喜欢自己 |
[14:06] | With her, you get to remake yourself | 和她在一起 你得重塑自己 |
[14:10] | at least somewhat. | 起码是一点点 |
[14:14] | I thought you wanted me to ask you to dinner. | 我以为你想让我请你去吃晚饭 |
[14:28] | All right. I’ll give him the message. | 好的 我会通知他 |
[14:31] | – Is he in there? – He’s with a client. | -他在里面吗? -他正和客户在一起 |
[14:33] | Tell him Jimmy Berluti is out here, and he’s very angry. | 告诉他Jimmy Berluti在外面 他非常生气 |
[14:36] | I know who you are. | 我知道你是谁 |
[14:38] | Go on. I’ll call you if I hear anything. | 去吧 如果有什么消息我会给你电话 |
[14:41] | Thanks, Len. | 谢谢 Len |
[14:43] | – You got an appointment? – I just saw Spinny. | -你预约了吗? -我刚见到Spinny |
[14:46] | Good for you. Who’s next? | 很好 下一个 |
[14:48] | – Mr. Terranova. – He’s got seven stitches above his eye. | -Terranova先生 -他的眼睛上缝了7针 |
[14:51] | Some people shouldn’t drink and walk. | 有些人不该醉了还走路 |
[14:54] | – Come on in, Mr. Terranova. – What kind of a lawyer are you? | -进来吧 Terranova先生 -你到底是什么律师 |
[14:57] | You’re supposed to be helping people, not . . . | 你该是帮助大家 而不是… |
[14:59] | Look. I’d like to hear you pontificate, | 瞧 我愿意听你的高谈阔论 |
[15:01] | but as you can see, I’ve got clients to take care of. | 但是你也看到了 我有客户要接待 |
[15:05] | Do they know that you charge interest on what they can’t pay up front? | 他们知道你会问他们要 付不起的律师费的利息吗? |
[15:11] | Here. | 这里 |
[15:12] | Whatever he’s chargin’ you, I’ll do it for half. | 不管他收你多少 我只收一半 |
[15:16] | – Rocco! – No juice. | -没有利息 |
[15:18] | Okay, everybody out! Come back in an hour. | 好了 所有人都离开 一小时后回来 |
[15:22] | – Why? – Vermin infestation. Come on. Let’s go. Andiamo! | -为什么呀? -这儿有虫子 快 走吧 Andiamo! |
[15:26] | What about my appointment? | 那我的预约呢? |
[15:27] | – We plead no contest. – You pay the fine and me, it all goes away. | -我们放弃辩护 -你把罚款和给我的报酬付了 这事就摆平了 |
[15:34] | What are you doin’? | 你在干什么? |
[15:35] | Eileen, wait in the office. | Eileen 到办公室去等 |
[15:37] | – Lenny . . . – Now! And close the door. | -现在就进去! 把门关上 |
[15:40] | Raise a finger, and I’ll have you before the B.B.O. | 你敢动手 我就把你告到律师监督协会 |
[15:43] | before you can light your next cigar. | 在你抽下一支雪茄前 |
[15:45] | We’ll see how much speech you got when your jaw’s wired. | 让我们看看等你的下巴固定上钢钉 你还能说出多少话 |
[15:48] | Wait. Just wait a second. | 等等 等一下 |
[15:50] | I want to be perfectly clear as to what’s about to happen here. | 我想清楚地知道接下来会发生什么事 |
[15:53] | You haven’t been away from the neighborhood that long, Jimmy. | 你离开社区的时间也没有太久 Jimmy |
[15:55] | You know what’s about to happen! Get him. | 你知道要发生什么事 抓住他 |
[15:58] | You’re a dead man, Jimmy! You’re dead! | 你死定了 Jimmy! 你死定了 |
[16:00] | You don’t know who you mess with! | 你不知道你惹的是谁! |
[16:04] | Now where I’m troubled is in your own firm | 现在困扰我的是 你自己的事务所… |
[16:07] | if I’m to believe statements made by you under oath | –如果要我相信你起誓所说的话– |
[16:10] | you had an attorney who engaged in egregiously unethical, | 你有一名律师涉嫌极端不道德的… |
[16:15] | if not criminal, conduct. | –如果那不是犯罪–的行为 |
[16:17] | I assume you’re referring to Alan Shore? | 我猜测你说的是Alan Shore吧? |
[16:20] | Concealing evidence . . . | “藏匿证据…” |
[16:22] | blackmail, extortion, | “敲诈 勒索…” |
[16:23] | assuming false identity, suborning perjury. | “冒名顶替 唆使提供伪证” |
[16:27] | We certainly did not authorize Mr. Shore to commit these infractions. | 我们没有授意Shore先生犯下这些违法行为 |
[16:31] | – But you let it go on. – No. No; we fired him. | -但是你纵容了他 -不 不 我们解雇了他 |
[16:36] | After several months of this behavior, | 在这些行为发生的数月之后 |
[16:39] | after profiting from this conduct | 在这些行为带来利益之后… |
[16:41] | profit in the amount of nine million dollars. Now, | 多达900万美元的收益 现在 |
[16:44] | that’s dirty money, Mr. Young. | 那是一笔不义之财 Young先生 |
[16:45] | We attempted to sanction Mr. Shore’s behavior many times and . . . | 我们多次批评纠正过Shore先生行为… |
[16:48] | But you let it go on, and only after you got rich | 但你纵容了他 只是在你从中 |
[16:51] | from this unethical behavior | 牟利之后 |
[16:52] | only then did you attempt to shut it down. | 你才试图制止它 |
[16:55] | That is totally false. | 完全不是这样 |
[16:56] | And maybe this would be a good time to point out that if I were to become a judge, | 也许现在是我表明自己观点的时候 如果我是法官 |
[17:00] | my style would be to hear evidence before I started making conclusions, | 我会在听取证言后再做出判断 |
[17:05] | especially the unfounded kind. | 特别是没有事实根据的事 |
[17:11] | You seem to have a temper. | 你似乎脾气很大 |
[17:19] | It’s over, Ellenor. | 结束了 Ellenor |
[17:21] | Not necessarily. Especially with that positive attitude. | 未必 别那么肯定 |
[17:25] | The idea that they want me for a judge | 事务所里发生了那些事 |
[17:28] | with everything that’s goin’ on at our firm? | 他们还会同意我当法官? |
[17:32] | – Your personal reputation has . . . – Look, don’t handle me, please. | -你的个人名誉… -瞧 别安慰我 |
[17:34] | If this is about your brother and vindicating an injustice done to him, | 如果这事关你的哥哥 是想为他洗冤 |
[17:38] | then rise up with your best in that room. You haven’t done that yet. | 那就在那房间里打起十二分精神 你根本还没有使出全力 |
[17:41] | Whatever I say is self-serving. | 我无论说什么都是自私的 |
[17:44] | Let’s forget it. | 让我们忘了吧 |
[17:52] | What in God’s name? | 到底搞什么鬼? |
[17:59] | Document production on the S.U.V. case. | 这些是SUV案件的文献 |
[18:01] | And this isn’t all. | 这里还不是全部 |
[18:04] | Storage is full, too. | 储藏室也满了 |
[18:11] | What was I supposed to do? | 我该怎么办 |
[18:12] | There was two of them, one of me. | 他们玩二对一 |
[18:14] | Plus, they were bigger. | 何况 他们比我壮 |
[18:16] | It’s just pepper spray. I mean, it’s kinda feminine, Jimmy. | 那可是瓶胡椒喷雾 我是说 这有点娘娘腔 Jimmy |
[18:19] | Hey, I got news for you. | 嘿 我要告诉你件事 |
[18:21] | I gotta be alive to keep your fat ass out of prison. | 只有我活着 你的肥屁股才不用去蹲监狱 |
[18:23] | You think about that? | 你想过没? |
[18:26] | – What now? – Well, I know it’s fat. | -又怎么了? -我知道它很肥 |
[18:28] | You don’t gotta say it. You don’t gotta label it. | 你不必说出来 你不必强调出来 |
[18:31] | For God sakes. I can’t even . . . | 上帝啊 我甚至不能… |
[18:35] | Oh, no! Not my car! | 不 不 我的车! |
[18:41] | Shame. | 真遗憾 |
[18:43] | Bet you could use a good lawyer. | 你需要个好律师了吧 |
[18:44] | Oh, right, you are a lawyer. | 对了 你就是个律师 |
[18:46] | Did you do this? | 是你干的吗? |
[18:47] | Didn’t do nothin’. | 什么都没干啊 |
[18:49] | I was just walkin’ with my marshmallows, | 我只是捧着我的药蜀葵在走路 |
[18:50] | seen the fire, thought there was a roaSt goin’on. | 见这着了火 还以为有烧烤呢 |
[18:54] | But you know, if I was gonna do somethin’, | 但是你瞧 如果我打算做什么 |
[18:56] | it would be because somebody had somethin’ comin’. | 那也是那人自找的 |
[18:59] | What goes around comes around. | 善有善报 恶有恶报 |
[19:01] | That’s like an old Latin saying, isn’t it? | 一句很老的拉丁谚语 不是吗? |
[19:04] | I bet you know Latin. Res ipsa. | 我打赌你懂拉丁语 “事实自证” |
[19:07] | That’s lawyer lingo. | 一个法律术语 |
[19:11] | Veni, vidi, vici! | “我来 我见 我征服” (凯撒名言) |
[19:13] | That’s serious Latin. | 这才是拉丁语呢 |
[19:16] | – Manny! – It was an accident. | – 意外而已 |
[19:30] | Ellenor. Hey! | Ellenor 嘿! |
[19:32] | Do you know where I can find Hannah Rose? | 你知道我在哪儿能找到Hannah Rose吗? |
[19:33] | Yeah. Her office is just over . . . there. | 嗯 她的办公室就在…那儿 |
[19:37] | How are you doing, Tara? | 你好吗 Tara? |
[19:38] | You look just smashing in your uniform, Tara. | *你穿制服的样子像换了个人一样 Tara |
[19:44] | You sent me about 400,000 pages of documents. | 你给我送来了40万页左右的文件 |
[19:48] | Oh. | 啊 |
[19:49] | I thought it better to give you too much than too little. | 我还以为少给不如多给 |
[19:52] | Did you now? | 现在呢? |
[19:54] | The trial starts in June. | 六月开庭 |
[19:55] | It would take me six months with a staff of 20 to go through all those boxes. | 我得带上20个员工花上6个月的时间 才能翻完所有纸箱 |
[20:00] | I believe the request went to any and all documents pertaining | 我相信你的请求是要提供所有相关设计稿纸 |
[20:02] | to design as well as documents discovered in previous lawsuits. | 以及在之前的诉讼中的文件 |
[20:06] | My client has been sued tens of thousands of times, Ellenor. | 我的委托人之前已经被告了不下百次 |
[20:08] | We produce millions of documents. | 弄出了成千上万份的文件 |
[20:11] | I know all about your client’s tactics. | 你委托人的手段我都知道 |
[20:13] | Tactics judges and prior trials have labeled reprehensible, | 在法官和之前的审理中 都被认为是应该受到谴责的 |
[20:17] | disgusting. | 令人作呕 |
[20:19] | Yes, and I’m trying to turn over a new leaf. | 是的 所以我努力重新做人 |
[20:21] | That’s why I’m giving you everything. | 所以我把一切都交给了你 |
[20:23] | You’re hiding evidence in a mountain of papers, | 你把证据掩藏这座纸山下 |
[20:26] | knowing full well it would be next to impossible for me to find what I need. | 知道要被我找到几乎是不可能的事情 |
[20:30] | I’m shocked you could make such an accusation. | 你居然给我冠上这样一个罪名 我真是吃惊 |
[20:33] | This is a blatant abuse of the discovery process, and I’m going to the judge. | 这事公然地践踏取证过程 我会去找法官的 |
[20:37] | I certainly hope you don’t do that, Ellenor. | 我当然希望你不要那么做 Ellenor |
[20:40] | But if you do, I might be forced to share a concern of mine. | 可如果你偏不 我也许应该把自己的担忧也告诉你一下 |
[20:45] | Which is? | 是什么? |
[20:47] | Your firm is understaffed and ill-equipped | 你现在的事务所人员匮乏 条件不足 |
[20:49] | to handle major product liability litigation. | 难以办理大宗的赔偿诉讼案 |
[20:51] | The fact that our document production | 事实上我们的文献让你无所适从 |
[20:53] | has so crippled you is a testament to your limitations. | 恰好说明了你的力量有限 |
[20:56] | I think you should refer your client to a larger firm, | 我觉得你该向你的客户介绍一家更大点的事务所 |
[20:59] | and my conscience might compel me to share my concern with the judge. | 我的良心可能会迫使我把自己的担心告诉法官 |
[21:04] | I suppose, if we were to settle this now, | 我觉得 如果我们现在就能解决这事儿 |
[21:07] | we could avoid all this unpleasantness . | 那就可以避免所有的不快 |
[21:11] | We’ll offer you $210,000 today, | 今天我们提出的条件是21万 |
[21:14] | no admission of liability. | 不承担相关责任 |
[21:17] | Two hundred and ten thousand. | 21万 |
[21:20] | Three people died. | 三个人死了 |
[21:24] | I bet you could use that money, Ellenor. | 我打赌那笔钱是你用的着 Ellenor |
[21:27] | Money you might not see if the client | 如果你的委托人被建议接受别的律师 |
[21:28] | is properly advised to retain other counsel. | 这笔钱你可就见不到了 |
[21:32] | – This is disgusting. – That’s harsh. | -这太恶心了 -真刺耳 |
[21:35] | My firm is quite capable of prosecuting this case. | 我的事务所无疑有能力打这场官司 |
[21:39] | Excellent. | 好极了 |
[21:40] | You will be sure to pass on my concern to your client, just the same? | 你也会把我的担心告知你的委托人吧? |
[21:51] | Right on the head? | 打中了脑袋? |
[21:52] | He regained consciousness. He’ll be fine. | 他晕了过去 他会没事的 |
[21:55] | Jimmy, things are getting out of control here. | Jimmy 事情有点一发不可收拾了 |
[21:57] | You gotta do something. | 你得干些什么 |
[21:59] | Not that it’s my place to tell you that. | 虽然我没有立场对你说这个 |
[22:05] | Suzy. | |
[22:17] | First, | 首先 |
[22:19] | whatever our differences, | 不管我们之间有什么不同 |
[22:21] | for somebody form my neighborhood | 一个从我的社区里出来的人 |
[22:23] | YOUR neighborhood¡| to use pepper spray | 也是你的社区 居然用辣椒水… |
[22:25] | I would sooner you whacked me, Jimmy, than to shame our people that way. | 我宁愿你打晕了我 Jimmy 也不要那样让我们蒙羞 |
[22:30] | Second, you knocked unconscious a man very dear to me. | 其次 你打晕了一个和我十分亲近的人 |
[22:34] | Best man at my wedding. | 我婚礼的伴郎 |
[22:35] | He set my car on fire. | 他一把火烧了我的车 |
[22:37] | You’re talkin’ about property. | 你在说财产 |
[22:39] | Rocco is a human being. | Rocco是个人 |
[22:41] | Now, I gotta bash your head. | 现在 我要把你的头砸个稀巴烂 |
[22:43] | Lenny, you and I grew up on the same block. | Lenny 你和我在同一个小区长大 |
[22:45] | I’ve seen you on the baseball field. | 我见过你上过棒球场 |
[22:47] | You swing a bat like my mother. | 你挥起棒子就像我的妈 |
[22:49] | Oh, is that what you think? | 哦 你是这么想的吗? |
[22:52] | I think you two need to have a sit-down | 我觉得你们两个该和Raymond |
[22:55] | with Raymond. | 坐下来谈谈 |
[22:58] | Raymond Fachetti? | |
[23:00] | His neighborhood. | 他也是社区里的人 |
[23:02] | He settles the beefs. | 他能解决纷争 |
[23:04] | I think that’s a good idea. | 我觉得是个好主意 |
[23:07] | Wonder what Raymond’s gonna think of you juicing clients. | 想看看Raymond对你向委托人收利息 会有什么想法 |
[23:12] | Jimmy. I come in here seekin’ peace. | Jimmy 我来这是为了息事宁人 |
[23:15] | Yeah. | 是嘛 |
[23:16] | I see the olive branch in your hand. | 我看到了你手上的”橄榄枝” |
[23:21] | Let’s you and I have a sit-down. | 让我们两人坐下 |
[23:24] | Private. | 没有别人 |
[23:25] | See if we can work it out. | 看看我们能不能解决 |
[23:29] | Tomorrow. Here. | 明天 这里 |
[23:32] | Two o’clock. | 两点 |
[23:43] | You handled that very well. | 干得好 |
[23:50] | The background checks more than once | 在你的背景资料里不只一次 |
[23:52] | refer to ass trategy of yours known as Plan B. | 提到一条被称之为”B计划”的策略 |
[23:56] | What is Plan B, Mr. Young? | 什么是”B计划” Young先生? |
[23:58] | It’s an offensive strategy where we try to implicate another suspect in a crime. | 这是一种攻势策略 我们努力引入另一名犯罪嫌疑人 |
[24:02] | A suspect you have a good-faith belief committed the crime? | 一个你们相信嫌疑很大的人? |
[24:07] | No. | 不是 |
[24:09] | So, it’s a strategy designed | 所以 这是一条设计用来 |
[24:11] | purposely to mislead the jury, | 故意误导陪审团 |
[24:13] | to steer them away from the truth? | 让他们背离事实的策略? |
[24:15] | It’s an adversarial process, Mr. Richmond. | 这是一个对抗的过程 Richmond先生 |
[24:17] | The state must prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. | 州立必须证明已经排除了一切合理怀疑 |
[24:20] | The defense attorney tries to create reasonable doubt, | 辩护律师则千方百计地创造出合理怀疑 |
[24:23] | doing so zealously within the bounds of the law. | 在法律地约束下挖掘一切可能 |
[24:26] | Plan B is within the bounds. | “B计划”没有离开法律的约束 |
[24:28] | Barely. | 勉强吧 |
[24:30] | Anything more than barely | 任何不那么勉强的东西 |
[24:31] | would be less than zealous. | 都表明不够尽职 |
[24:33] | You’ve tried to convince juries somebody else did it | 你努力想让陪审员相信另有其人… |
[24:36] | somebody you know to be innocent? | 其实你知道那人是无辜的? |
[24:38] | It may strike you as morally unethical, and I might agree. | 这也许让你觉得有违道德 我同意 |
[24:42] | – But legal ethics require that we . . . – That’s a distinction without a difference. | -但是法律上的道义要求我们… -这是没有区别的区分 |
[24:45] | No. It’s a distinction with a big difference. | 不 这是一个有很大区别的区分 |
[24:47] | And if you don’t get that . . . | 要是你不明白… |
[24:49] | To knowingly accuse innocent people | 明知故犯地去指控一个无辜的人 |
[24:51] | even prosecutors don’t do that. | 就算是检察官也不会这么做 |
[24:53] | You have to understand how this commission could have questions about your character. | 你必须明白这个委员会 可能会对你的人品提出疑问 |
[24:58] | Excuse me. May I be heard? | 抱歉 能允许我发言吗? |
[25:02] | My name is Bobby Donnell, and I used to work with this man. | 我的名字是Bobby Donnell 曾和这个男人共事 |
[25:05] | Thank you, sir, but we’re not taking testimony today. | 谢谢你 先生 但今天我们不听证 |
[25:08] | Testimony? | 证词? |
[25:09] | You make it sound like a trial. | 你说得像是在开庭 |
[25:12] | Is somebody on trial here? | 这里有人在受审吗? |
[25:14] | Actually, I just thought we could all use a good laugh. | 其实 我只想让大家笑一笑 |
[25:18] | Talking about Eugene Young’s character it’s actually a little funny. | 要说Eugene Young的人品… 其实还真的有点好笑 |
[25:21] | You find it funny? | 你觉得好笑? |
[25:23] | We’ve got a President lying to us about weapons | 我们的总统在武器一事上撒谎 |
[25:26] | so he could start a war. | 所以他可以发动一场战争 |
[25:28] | The President before that lied under oath about sex | 他的前任对于他在白宫里的性事 |
[25:31] | he was having in the Oval Office. | 在宣誓下还撒谎 |
[25:33] | We have a Supreme Court Justice going duck- | 我们最高法院的法官 |
[25:35] | hunting with the Vice President while presiding over a case | 在主审一件牵涉副总统的案子时 |
[25:38] | involving the Vice President. | 还和他一起去打鸭子 |
[25:40] | Our biggest pop star is an alleged pedophile. | 我们的流星天王是疑似恋童癖 |
[25:45] | Some of our athletes are up on murder and rape charges, | 我们的一些运动员受到了谋杀 强奸的指控 |
[25:48] | while the author of The Book of Virtues | “道德之书”的作者 |
[25:50] | gambles millions of dollars in Vegas. | 在维加斯豪赌上百万 |
[25:55] | And you’re making character an issue? | 你们还要拿人品来说事? |
[25:58] | I hate to shock you, Mr. Donnell, but it still counts. | 我不愿意打击你 Donnell先生 但依然是的 |
[26:01] | Well, if so, you sure as hell picked the wrong man to make an example of. | 如果这样的话 那你可找错做例子的人选了 |
[26:05] | This is a man who could go to a big firm | 这个男人本可以去大型事务所 |
[26:07] | and command a salary upwards of million dollars. | 拿到一份上百万的薪水 |
[26:10] | He works for a fraction of that. Why? | 他现在的收入只有个零头 为什么? |
[26:12] | Because he sees the erosion of civil rights, | 因为他看到了公民权力在被腐蚀 |
[26:15] | and he fights to stop it. | 他奋起去制止 |
[26:18] | He sees high courts forsaking the Constitution, | 他看到高等法院背离了宪法 |
[26:21] | and he rails against it. | 他大声疾呼 |
[26:23] | He sees an Attorney General rounding up suspects like poker chips. | 他看到一名首席检察官抓起嫌犯 就像把他们当自己的筹码一样 |
[26:27] | We do not need a speech about . . . | 我们不需要听你… |
[26:28] | You need this speech. | 你们需要听 |
[26:31] | The reason the justice system is so unfair in this country | 这个国家的司法系统之所以如此不公 |
[26:35] | is because the benches are stacked with former prosecutors. | 因为我们的法官席上坐满了前任检察官 |
[26:38] | We need to see your character here. | 我们需要看看你们的人品 |
[26:42] | How about you confirm a man who cares more about civil liberties than throwing bodies in prison? | 一个比起往监狱里送尸体 更关心公民权力的人 你们通过他的提名 怎么样? |
[26:48] | Eugene Young hasn’t forgotten why he went to law school. | Eugene Young没有忘记自己为什么去念法律 |
[26:54] | Eugene Young clings to the ideology | Eugene Young紧抓着自己的理想不放 |
[26:57] | that a defendant every defendant | 一个辩护律师…每一个辩护律师… |
[27:01] | is entitled to a fair trial. | 有权力打一场公平的官司 |
[27:04] | Now, you wanna cast him off because you don’t like his politics, | 现在如果因为你们不喜欢他的政见 而取消他的资格 |
[27:06] | or his views on the death penalty? Fine. | 或者是因为他对死刑的观点 好吧 |
[27:11] | But don’t you dare | 但你们不要胆敢 |
[27:13] | cite as a pretext | 以他的人品 |
[27:17] | his character. | 作借口 |
[27:33] | Sally Heep. How’s it hangin’? | Sally Heep 怎么样? |
[27:35] | How’s what hanging? | 什么怎么样? |
[27:37] | It’s just an expression. | 只是个说法而已 |
[27:40] | Sally Heep. | |
[27:43] | Sally. | |
[27:45] | Make up your mind about tonight? | 今晚的事你有决定了吗? |
[27:48] | Sally, you look like a hooker. | Sally 你看上去像个妓女 |
[27:50] | Now, if you were a hooker, we might have a future, | 如果你真是个妓女 或许我们可以有发展 |
[27:52] | but you’re intelligent, | 但是你聪明 |
[27:55] | you have self-respect, | 有自尊 |
[27:56] | you’re even sweet. | 甚至可人 |
[27:59] | Those are deal-breakers. | 这些都是障碍 |
[28:01] | Yeah. Okay. Fine. | 好吧 行 |
[28:05] | But, while you continue to mull it over, | 不过 在你继续考虑的时候 |
[28:07] | just keep in mind that 25-year-olds don’t just snap back physically. | 别忘了25岁的女孩不会吃回头草 |
[28:11] | Emotionally, we recover fast, too, which means by this time tomorrow, | 而感情上 我们也会很快恢复 也就是说 明天早上这个时候 |
[28:15] | I’ll have moved on. | 我已经不再想它了 |
[28:19] | You had a window, Al. | 你有一扇窗 Al |
[28:22] | Just because girls in your age bracket wait around, | 就算因为与你同龄的女孩子围着你等 |
[28:25] | don’t be thinking I will. | 别以为我也一样 |
[28:40] | First, you gotta apologize. | 首先 你得道歉 |
[28:41] | I gotta apologize? | 要我道歉? |
[28:42] | Yes. Manny Quinn was actin’ under the scope of you | 是的 Manny Quinn是在你的眼皮底下动的手 |
[28:45] | and him bein’ friends when he whacked Rocco unconscious with the shovel. | 用铲子打晕Rocco的时候 他是你朋友 |
[28:48] | – You torched my car! – You pepper-sprayed me! | -你烧了我的车! -你用辣椒水喷我! |
[28:51] | – After you mugged Spinny! – Which is what I’m gonna do to you! | -在你打劫了Spinny之后! -接下来我就要对你这么干了! |
[28:54] | Hey! | 嘿! |
[28:55] | We got clients out here! | 我们这里还有顾客! |
[28:57] | You guys either work it out, or take it outside. | 你们两个要么好好谈 要么就到外面去解决 |
[29:00] | Or to Raymond. | 或者交给Raymond |
[29:15] | You can’t be juicing your clients. | 你不能向你的委托人收利息 |
[29:18] | That’s how you’ll get whacked for real. | 那会真得害你被人打晕 |
[29:20] | Raymond finds out you’re loan-sharking | Raymond发现你借高利贷… |
[29:23] | That’s their business, Lenny. You should know better. | 那是他们的生意 Lenny 你再清楚不过 |
[29:27] | I’m under a lot of pressure. | 我压力很大 |
[29:29] | My wife wants a house in Florida, business has been tight. | 我老婆想要一栋在佛罗里达的房子 生意不好做 |
[29:33] | To be losin’ some of it to you? | 还要把其中的一些输给你? |
[29:36] | Can’t you go someplace else? | 难道你不能另找个地方吗? |
[29:39] | This has always been my dream, | 这一直是我的梦想 |
[29:41] | to come back here. | 回到这里 |
[29:43] | This isn’t an arbitrary thing for me, Lenny. | 我不是一时兴起 Lenny |
[29:46] | This is where I grew up. | 这里是我长大的地方 |
[29:53] | Maybe we should form kind of a partnership. | 也许我们该合伙 |
[29:57] | Me and you? | 我和你? |
[29:59] | Yeah. I got connections. I could help you, you could help me | 是的 我有关系网 我可以帮你 你可以帮我… |
[30:01] | get me some more of the high-end stuff instead of competin’ with each other. | 给我介绍更多的高端的案子 而不是再互相竞争 |
[30:05] | Lenny, I’m an honest lawyer. | Lenny 我是个诚信的律师 |
[30:08] | Totally? | 完全的吗? |
[30:10] | Can’t you just be honest most of the time? | 你不能在某些时候放放水? |
[30:13] | Me and you, as partners? | 我和你 合伙人? |
[30:17] | Come on. | 得了 |
[30:23] | I represent Charlie Andretti, | 我是Charlie Andretti的律师 |
[30:27] | Manny’s supplier. | Manny的供应商 |
[30:29] | I could sorta slip the Feds some information | 我可以给联邦调查员透些口风 |
[30:32] | they could use to put him away in exchange | 他们就可以把他抓走 |
[30:34] | for droppin’ the case against Manny. | 这样Manny的案子就可以不了了之 |
[30:38] | You’d turn in your own client? | 你背叛你自己的委托人 |
[30:40] | I only do it when I can be sure it don’t get found out. | 我只有在确信不会被发现时才这么做 |
[30:45] | Look. | 瞧 |
[30:47] | I’m certainly not gonna go into a business with a corrupt attorney. | 我肯定不会和一个腐败的律师合作 |
[30:52] | Suppose I change? | 假如我改了呢? |
[30:54] | My wife wants me to improve my self. | 我妻子想让我改进自己 |
[30:56] | I was hopin’ maybe you could be a good influence. | 我想也许你是个好榜样 |
[31:02] | I can get Manny off. Come on, Jimmy. | 我可以帮Manny脱身 来吧 Jimmy |
[31:05] | I got street creds, you got integrity. | 我有名声 你有智慧 |
[31:09] | How about, you know, | 如何 你瞧 |
[31:12] | a trial basis? | 试一试? |
[31:18] | You want to go to court, Milton? Fine. | 你想打官司 Milton? 好吧 |
[31:20] | But don’t be waving that flag like it’s some big threat. | 但是不要虚张声势 |
[31:22] | I’m in court every day; you’re not. | 我每天都上法庭 而你不是 |
[31:25] | I like court; you don’t. | 我喜欢法庭 你不喜欢 |
[31:26] | I’m comfortable in court; you’re not. | 我在庭上如鱼得水 你不是 |
[31:29] | So I want you to hang up the phone, | 所以我想让你挂上电话 |
[31:31] | call me again, and be honest. | 再打给我 坦诚一点 |
[31:34] | Tell me you want to settle, | 告诉我你想和解 |
[31:36] | because you don’t want to go to court. | 因为你不想上法庭 |
[31:39] | Good-bye, Milt. Hope to hear from you. | 再见 Milt 希望能听到你的答复 |
[31:43] | You look like you havin’ fun. | 看上去你很自得其乐 |
[31:46] | – Hey. – Hey, how did you even know about . . . | -嘿 -嘿 你是怎么知道… |
[31:48] | Ellenor called me. I figured I’d save your ass like old times. | Ellenor给我打了电话 我觉得自己要像过去那样救你一把 |
[31:51] | Haha. Now, I remember a lotta ass-saving, but I think you might have things mixed up a bit. | 哈哈 我记得你帮过我很多次 但是我觉得这次你或许把事情弄乱了 |
[31:57] | Any word? | 有消息吗? |
[31:58] | Not yet. You know, I don’t have my hopes up. | 还没有 你瞧 我才不指望 |
[32:01] | That isn’t true, Eugene. | 这不是真的 Eugene |
[32:03] | Your hopes have been up on this for many years. | 你已经指望很久了 |
[32:06] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[32:08] | Look. I I’ve been meaning to call you about, um . . . | 瞧 我…我本想打电话和你说… |
[32:11] | When you gave me the firm, I know you expected . . . | 当你把事务所交给我的时候 我知道你期望我… |
[32:16] | Bein’ a judge is somethin’ I’ve always wanted. | 成为一名法官是我一直的渴望 |
[32:18] | Eugene, I know that. | Eugene 我知道 |
[32:20] | I feel like . . . | 我觉得… |
[32:23] | if I ever get this . . . | 如果我成功了… |
[32:28] | I’d be walkin’ out on something you left in my charge. | 我就丢下了你托付给我的东西 |
[32:31] | Now it’s you mixing things up. | 现在是你把事情弄乱了 |
[32:33] | I walked. Remember? | 走的是我 记得吗? |
[32:37] | I just wish I’d done a better job running the firm. | 我只是希望自己能把这事务所办得更好些 |
[32:39] | Don’t even go there. You led that firm | 别扯到那儿上去 你带领这个事务所 |
[32:42] | the same way you’ve always served it | 与你当初为它效力的的时候并无二致 |
[32:44] | with honor. | 都带着敬意 |
[32:49] | One second. | 稍等一下 |
[32:53] | Eugene Young. | |
[32:57] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[32:59] | Yeah. | 好 |
[33:02] | Okay. Thank you. | 好的 谢谢 |
[33:07] | I got it. | 我得到了 |
[33:09] | Got what? | 得到什么? |
[33:11] | The judge thing. The council confirmed me. | 法官席位 委员会通过了我 |
[33:14] | I got it. | 我拿到了 |
[33:16] | – Eugene, that’s . . . – Look, it’s no big deal. It’s just . . . | – Eugene 真是… -瞧 没什么大不了 只不过是个… |
[33:21] | I got it! | 我得到了! |
[33:40] | – Denny Crane. – Good for you. | – 真不错 |
[33:43] | That woman scares me. | 那个女人让我害怕 |
[33:45] | It’s titillating. | 真让人性奋 |
[33:50] | For the record, your offer is rejected. | 郑重告诉你 我们拒绝你的条件 |
[33:55] | I’m disappointed. | 我失望了 |
[33:56] | I’ll bet. | 我打赌是的 |
[33:58] | Rather than steer my client toward accepting an unsatisfying offer, | 让我的委托人接受一份并不满意的条件 |
[34:01] | I steered her toward the firm Fine & Ambrone | 我宁愿把她介绍给了Fine & Ambrone事务所 |
[34:04] | which specializes in design defect product liability. | 擅长打产品责任法中的设计缺陷的官司 |
[34:09] | I’ve also filed with the judge and the bar | 我也已经上书法官和法庭 |
[34:12] | a complaint concerning your client’s dishonest stonewalling tactics. | 控诉关于你的委托人不诚实的阴挠策略 |
[34:17] | And on a personal level, | 至于个人上 |
[34:19] | it’s one thing for a corporation to engage in systemic discovery abuse | 公司有组织地参与妨碍调查取证是一回事 |
[34:23] | but for an attorney? | 但是对于一名律师? |
[34:25] | These are real people. | 这些是实实在在的人 |
[34:27] | This is real suffering, injured by your client’s vehicles, and for you . . . | 这是一次真正的苦难 被你委托人的汽车所伤害 而对你来说… |
[34:37] | never mind. | 算了 |
[34:40] | I’ve already filed my notice of withdrawal. | 我已经呈上了退出代理的文件 |
[34:42] | And, as I said, the offer is rejected. | 正如我所说的 我们拒绝你的条件 |
[34:47] | Ellenor? | |
[34:53] | I know you’ve defended criminals | 我知道你是刑事律师… |
[34:55] | people you have no sympathy for. | 那些你根本不同情的人 |
[34:57] | In civil cases, defendants are entitled to representation as well. | 在民事案件中 被告同样拥有找律师代理的权力 |
[35:02] | It’s not the same, and you know it. | 这不一样 而你清楚得很 |
[35:05] | Yeah, I suppose I do | 是 我想是的吧 |
[35:08] | which is why I’m feeling particularly bad about myself. | 所以我才会心里特别不好受 |
[35:12] | I think I need to go shopping, | 我想我需要去购物 |
[35:14] | and not just for something little. | 不是去买什么小玩意儿 |
[35:16] | I amso ashamed, I’m gonna buy a car. | 我太羞耻了 我要买辆车 |
[35:19] | Something really, really . . . | 一件真的 真的… |
[35:22] | redemptive. | 可以拯救我的东西 |
[35:23] | Would you like to come with me? because I’d like that | 你愿意跟我一起吗? 因为我喜欢… |
[35:27] | watching you watch me buy a hundred thousand dollar car. | 看着你看着我买下一辆数十万的车 |
[35:36] | – Can you excuse me a second? – Hmm. | 我能失陪一下吗? |
[35:57] | Oh, gee. Now I need to shop. | 啊天 现在我需要去买东西了 |
[36:17] | Oh, what happened to your date? | 你的约会怎么了? |
[36:18] | There isn’t going to be a date. | 没有什么约会 |
[36:21] | And I’d appreciate you not counseling me toward statutory crimes. | 而我希望你不是怂恿我去犯下法定罪行 |
[36:25] | Alan, do you want to end up an old lech? | Alan 你最后想变成一个老色狼吗? |
[36:28] | Why are you so invested in this? Tell me that. | 你为什么对这个那么感兴趣? 告诉我 |
[36:31] | Well, I suppose that when I see you alone, | 我猜是因为当我看到你单身一人 |
[36:33] | I worry about the company you’re keeping. | 我就担心你的伴侣 |
[36:37] | Let me tell you something. | 让我告诉你一些事吧 |
[36:38] | The most lonely I’ve ever been has been in a relationship. | 我最孤单的时候是在与人交往的时候 |
[36:42] | I’m happiest alone. | 我是最快乐的单身汉 |
[36:43] | Conversation’s better; certainly the sex is albeit heavy-handed. | 谈话会更好 当然做爱的话… 手会比较累(- -) |
[36:47] | Oh, that’s a funny bit. | 哦 真有趣 |
[36:50] | An entertaining one, too. But as bits go, | 也挺享受的 但是 |
[36:54] | it’s a bit. | 也只是一点而已 |
[36:57] | Tara, | |
[37:00] | I’ve indulged your pop psychoanalysis | 我现在可以偶尔迁就你 |
[37:03] | with good humor for some time now, | 带着幽默感的通俗的心理分析 |
[37:06] | but to set the record straight, | 但我还是挑明了吧 |
[37:09] | you do not know me . . not even | 你并不了解我…哪怕 |
[37:12] | as bits go, a bit. | 就一点 |
[37:16] | I know that you’re afraid to let yourself feel for people . . . | 我知道你害怕让你自己对别人产生感情 |
[37:19] | – I’m quite capable of letting myself feel . . . – . . . to look at yourself through other people’s eyes | -我当然有能力让自己对别人… -透过别人的眼睛看到你自己… |
[37:22] | -because you don’t like the view. – . . . especially disenchantment. That one comes up easily. | -因为你不喜欢那些评论 -…特别是觉醒 那很容易 |
[37:25] | And there you go turning it into a word game. | 然后你就把它变成了一场文字游戏 |
[37:28] | It’s you playing games, telling me I can’t feel. | 是你在玩游戏 说我没有感情 |
[37:31] | – That’s quite an indictment of a person. – Then prove me wrong with evidence the last time | -就像是在指控谁 -那就拿出证据证明我是错的 |
[37:33] | – you felt for a woman in any relationship. – Knowing my privacy is misrepresented. I feel for you! | -说出你上一次喜欢上谁是什么时候 -看到我的隐私被曲解 我对你有感觉! |
[37:41] | That doesn’t mean I . . . | 这并不意味着我… |
[37:46] | ever . . . | 曾经… |
[37:55] | I have feelings for you. | 我对你动了感情 |
[38:10] | Now I’d appreciate it . . . | 现在我希望它能… |
[38:22] | Contrary to the rumors, I do practice law here, | 和流言相反 我来这里是要当律师的 |
[38:25] | and I have a lot of work to do. | 我有很多活要干 |
[38:29] | Would you excuse me, Tara? | 能允许我失陪了吗 Tara? |
[38:39] | Alan? | |
[38:40] | Would you excuse me, Tara? | 能允许我失陪了吗 Tara? |