时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Previously on The West Wing: | -你是艾姆丝莉海耶斯 -是艾金丝莉,是金才对 -我要给她一份工作 -在哪里? -我第一天上班就有个不错的开始 -情况会越来越好 -她是谁? -她是艾金丝莉海耶斯 -你是白痴 -那不是因为她是共和党员的关系 而是因为 她是个共和党美女 同时拥有这三项特点 会让人充满了野心 如果我得在同一天里面 对这个地方 再次失望,我一定会发疯的 -她只花了十七秒就说我们是骗子 -小声一点 -你在这里做什么? -为国效劳 跛脚鸭国会 -他跟麦纳利在开会吗? -不 卡纳诺夫先生来到这里 不会见到国务�� 或是任何内阁级官员 他不会跟联合国大使 或北约组织的人员见面 他不会跟总统见面 他会跟总统的 巴尔干半岛顾问见面 接下来是谁? |
[00:07] | – You’re Aimsley Hayes. – Ainsley, with an N. | |
[00:10] | – I’m offering her a job. – Where? | |
[00:12] | – My day’s had a great start. – It’s about to get better. | |
[00:15] | – Who is this? – Ainsley Hayes. | |
[00:17] | – You’re an idiot. – It’s not that she’s Republican. | |
[00:19] | She’s a Republican woman and good-looking. | |
[00:22] | Those three things in combination usually spell careerism. | |
[00:25] | If I have to endure another disappointment today… | |
[00:28] | …from this place, I am gonna lose it. | |
[00:30] | – 17 seconds it took her to call us liars. – Keep your voice down. | |
[00:34] | – What are you doing here? – Serving my country. | |
[00:38] | – Is he meeting with McNally? – No. | |
[00:40] | Mr. Konanov, while he is here… | |
[00:42] | …is not meeting with the secretary of state or any Cabinet-level official. | |
[00:46] | He’s not meeting with the U. N. ambassador or any NATO allies. | |
[00:50] | He’s not meeting with the president. | |
[00:52] | He will be meeting with the president’s advisors on the Balkans. | |
[00:55] | Who’s next? | 今天稍后准参议员摩根米契尔 |
[00:57] | Senator-elect Morgan Mitchel is going to announce on Hardball later today… | 会在《追根究底》宣布 |
[01:01] | …he’ll seek a seat on the Foreign Relations Committee… | 他希望能加入外交委员会 禁止核试条约付诸表决 |
[01:03] | …and prevent the Test Ban Treaty from coming to the floor. Any thoughts? | 你有任何说法吗? |
[01:07] | We’ll have a ratified comprehensive Test Ban Treaty. | 我们会通过 全面禁止核试条约 |
[01:10] | Mitchel says over his dead body. | 米契尔说除非他死了 |
[01:12] | Senator-elect Mitchel will discover that he is one of 100… | 米契尔准参议员 会发现他是孤木难以支天 |
[01:15] | …and that his power is more limited than he imagines. | 他的力量 比自己想像中要小很多 |
[01:18] | The new Senate will ratify the treaty… | 新参议员会通过条约 我们不在乎 |
[01:20] | …and we don’t care what condition his body is in. | 他的健康状况 丹尼 |
[01:23] | Danny. | 总统考虑进行跛脚鸭会期 |
[01:24] | Has the president considered ordering a lame-duck session… | 让参议员投票吗? |
[01:27] | …for the Senate to vote? | -除了丹尼外谁有问题? |
[01:29] | – Anybody but Danny? – He hasn’t considered it? | -他不考虑吗? |
[01:32] | I don’t know every thought that passes through his head… | 我不知道 他正在想什么 |
[01:35] | …but there have been no discussions that I’m aware of. | 但我知道 他没有谈过这件事 |
[01:37] | I’d like to know. Is that something you can check out and get back to us on? | 我想知道,你可以去问一下 告诉我们答案吗? 没问题,下一个是谁? |
[01:42] | You bet. Who’s next? | 她中了圈套,她也知道 |
[01:43] | She walked into it. She knows it too. | 她中了什么圈套? |
[01:45] | Walked into what? | 她没有问过总统 所以不能确定他并没有考虑过 |
[01:47] | She can’t confirm that the president hasn’t considered it unless she asks… | -如果她现在问,他将会需要考虑了 -那听起来很蠢 |
[01:51] | – … at which point he’ll consider it. – That sounds pretty stupid. | 如果不用说出来 我会表达得好一些 |
[01:54] | It was a better-organized thought in my head. | -她要做结语了 -我们走吧 |
[01:57] | – She’s wrapping up. – Let’s go. | -他考虑过吗? -没有 |
[01:59] | – Has he considered it? – No. | -为什么? -为什么他要考虑? |
[02:00] | – Why not? – Why should he? | -如果他有机会通过 -他没有 -如果米契尔 -他不重要 职业安全健康协会 -职业安全健康协会 -你怎么能那么快改变话题? 你怎么能从禁止核试条约 跟跛脚鸭会期跳到职业安全健康协会? 因为我是我,你知道有多少人 得了腕隧道症候群吗? 你应该不讶异我不知道 每年有六十万美国人 你知道那有多痛苦吗? 国事如麻 有谁真的在乎如果 -你知道吗? -知道 你的前臂疼痛,没办法拿东西 你会失去捏人的能力 失去捏人能力的人 我不知道他们要怎么活下去 -你们都错了 -你不是“你们”之一吗? 在这个问题上不是 |
[02:01] | – If he has a better chance of ratification… – He doesn’t. | |
[02:05] | – But if Mitchel… – He’s not a factor. | |
[02:07] | The Occupational Safety and Health Administration… | |
[02:10] | – OSHA… – How do you change subjects so fast? | |
[02:12] | How do you go from a Test Ban Treaty and a lame-duck Congress to OSHA? | |
[02:16] | Because I’m me. Do you know how many people acquire carpal tunnel syndrome? | |
[02:20] | It shouldn’t surprise you that I do not. | |
[02:22] | 600,000 Americans a year. Do you know how painful it is? | |
[02:25] | In the scheme of things, who really cares if… | |
[02:27] | – Do you have any idea? – Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. | |
[02:30] | Pain in your forearm. No grip. You lose the ability to pinch. | |
[02:33] | People who lose the ability to pinch, I don’t know how they can go on. | |
[02:37] | – You guys are wrong on this. – Aren’t you one of “you guys”? | |
[02:40] | Not on this. | -我知道 -你中了圈套 |
[02:41] | – I know. – You walked into it. | 我别无他法 如果我回答“不” |
[02:42] | There was no other direction to walk. Answer “no” to this question: | -总统考虑过吗? -不 |
[02:46] | – Has the president considered it? – No. | -很好 -听着,我没有听说过 |
[02:48] | – Good. – Listen. Not that I know of. | -他没有 -听着 |
[02:50] | – He hasn’t. – Listen. | 他应该考虑 |
[02:52] | He should consider it. He should consider it right now. | 他现在就应该考虑 外交委员会 |
[02:56] | There isn’t a seat open on Foreign Relations for Mitchel. | 没有席次给米契尔 -拨款委员会有缺 |
[02:59] | – There is on Appropriations. – Kasey’ll move? | -凯西会去吗? 发生了什么事? |
[03:01] | What’s going on? | -凯西想进拨款委员会 |
[03:02] | – Kasey wants Appropriations. – He’ll have to give up Budget. | -他得放弃预算委员会 塔格利欧会补上去 |
[03:05] | Taglio’ll jump at it, clearing the way for Newberry in Senate Armed Services. | 让纽贝利进参议军事委员会 |
[03:09] | Newberry leaving opens up Judiciary. | 纽贝利会让司法委员会出缺 谁想当下任总统的 |
[03:12] | Who wants to be attorney general under the next president? | 总检察长? |
[03:15] | – Howard Westin. – So he takes the Judiciary seat. | -霍华威斯汀 -所以他会进入司法委员会 |
[03:17] | Vacating his seat on Foreign Relations. | 他在外交委员会的席次会出缺 所以外交委员会有缺 |
[03:19] | So there’s a seat open. | -那不代表密契尔能补上去 -不,你错了 |
[03:21] | – It doesn’t mean Mitchel’s gonna get it. – Yes, it does. | -为什么? -没有人想那么做 |
[03:25] | – Why? – Nobody else wants it. | -为什么? -因为没有钱可赚 |
[03:26] | – Why? – There’s no money in it. | 外交委员会 无法控制任何预算 所以不会有游说者或资助者 -在特殊的情况下 -它关乎国家跟全球安全 -你在想什么? -这些人 新国会上任 我们的成功率更低? 新国会上任 我们是输定了 虽然我没经历过核弹爆炸 但我看过照片 我同意乔西对 特殊情况的说法 -里奥有空了吗? -再过五分钟 这些人都离开了 第106期国会已经休会 十二名参议员没有连任成功 太糟糕了 请总统发动跛脚鸭会期 看起来像是在玩弄政治 这的确是政治 我们去找里奥吧 我们要怎么告诉 那十二个正在另寻新职的人? 他们原来的工作 还没有做完 罗伯洛 杜希尔 艾莉森詹尼 珍妮尔摩隆奈 里察薛福 约翰史宾塞 布雷迪威佛德 马丁辛 |
[03:28] | The Foreign Relations Committee has no control over money. | |
[03:31] | So there’s no lobbyists. So no fundraisers. | |
[03:33] | – Under extraordinary circumstances… – It’s vital to national and global security. | |
[03:38] | – What did you have in mind? – These people… | |
[03:41] | Do we have less of a chance with a new Congress? | |
[03:43] | We have no chance with a new Congress. | |
[03:45] | While I’ve never lived through a nuclear explosion, I’ve seen pictures. | |
[03:51] | I agree with Josh on his interpretation of the extraordinary-circumstances clause. | |
[03:57] | – Is Leo free now? – In five minutes. | |
[04:00] | These people are gone. The 106th Congress is adjourned. | |
[04:03] | Twelve were voted out of office. This is bad. | |
[04:05] | Tell the president to call a lame-duck session, it’s gonna look like politics. | |
[04:09] | It is politics. Let’s see Leo. | |
[04:11] | What do we tell the 12 people looking for new jobs? | |
[04:14] | They may not be done with their old ones yet. | |
[05:08] | Kasey wants Appropriations. | 凯西想进拨款委员会 |
[05:09] | – He’s on Budget. – He’s gonna want Appropriations. | -他在预算委员会 -他想进拨款委员会 |
[05:12] | – Kasey wants Appropriations. – He has seniority. | -凯西想进拨款委员会 -他有资深的优势 |
[05:14] | – He’ll give up Budget. – Taglio’ll take that. | -他得放弃预算委员会 -塔格利欧会补上去 |
[05:16] | Clearing the way for Newberry in Armed Services. | 纽贝利就可以进国防委员会 |
[05:18] | – He’ll vacate his seat on Judiciary. – Westin leaves Foreign Relations. | -他会空出在司法委员会的席次 -威斯汀会离开外交委员会 |
[05:21] | That’s where Mitchel comes in. | 米契尔便可加入外交委员会 |
[05:23] | It’s like running the country with Barnum, Bailey and his sister Sue. | 那就像是跟巴努 巴利跟他妹妹苏在治理这个国家 |
[05:27] | Leo, would it be possible for just two of them to speak at once? | 里奥,你能不能一次 只让两个人说话? |
[05:31] | Toby? | 托比? |
[05:33] | That was an hour-and-10-minute meeting… | 那次会议 长一小时又十分钟 |
[05:35] | …with Dick Rush, Ed, Marty Beach and Henry Rodriguez. | 与会者有迪克罗许,艾迪 马帝毕奇跟亨利罗德里兹 |
[05:38] | I have never seen political and legislative liaisons so unanimous in a diagnosis. | 我没有看过任何政治人物 或国会议员这么团结过 |
[05:42] | – They think he should call it? – Yeah. | -他们认为他该那么做? -对 |
[05:45] | We have a better chance now than in a month. | 我们最好尽快行动 |
[05:47] | Not only that… I’m sorry. | 不只那样 对不起 |
[05:49] | Toby? | 托比? |
[05:51] | Not only that, here’s what C.J. can tell the press. | 不只那样 茜洁得这样告诉媒体 |
[05:53] | The world is looking to the U.S. to ratify the treaty first. | 全世界都在期待美国 先通过条约 |
[05:56] | We wait, it takes longer for other countries to ratify… | 我们拖下去 其他国家就越慢签下条约 |
[05:59] | …the closer we get to more unstable countries developing a nuclear threat. | 那些不稳定的国家 越可能发动核能威胁 |
[06:04] | – Arguments against? – We might lose the vote. | -争议点呢? -投票时我们可能会输 |
[06:06] | – That’ll hang around our necks. – The Senate might stall confirmations. | -那等于是找死 -参议院会拖延结果 |
[06:10] | Can I add that a Senator-elect announcing what assignment he’d like… | 我能说准参议员 直说他要加入哪个委员会 |
[06:14] | …is not what the founders would have considered an extraordinary occasion. | 违背了立约者 所说的特殊情况吗? |
[06:18] | An extraordinary occasion is whatever the president says it is. | 是不是特殊情况是由总统介定的 |
[06:25] | Charlie! | 查理! |
[06:27] | – Sir? – Could I have a couple of aspirin… | -长官? -可以帮我拿几颗阿斯匹灵 |
[06:29] | …or a weapon of some kind to kill people with? | 或可以杀死人的武器来吗? |
[06:32] | – Leo? – Even when they’re here in session… | -里奥? -即使他们答应开会 |
[06:35] | …getting 100 Senators in a line is like getting cats to walk in a parade. | 制片:劳伦斯欧唐尼尔二世 要一百位参议员一致同意 简直难如登天 |
[06:38] | What do you wanna do? | 你打算怎么做 |
[06:40] | Take the leadership’s temperature on the lame-duck session… | 试探领袖人物 对跛脚鸭会期的态度 |
[06:43] | …and let’s also get some kind of nose count and see where we are. | 制片:克里斯汀哈姆斯 同时计算一下票数 了解一下我们的胜算 |
[06:47] | Leak it the president’s considering calling the Senate back. | 透露总统考虑 要离职的参议员回来 |
[06:49] | That is not gonna be a problem. | 那不是问题 |
[06:51] | The source is big enough so they go with it… | 消息来源要够大 令到他们会中计 |
[06:53] | …small enough so we’re not tied to it. Toby, get me a nose count. What else? | 同时也要够小,我们不会牵连在内 托比,计算一下票数,还有事吗? |
[06:57] | The State Department wants to change the terminology… | 国务院想改变术语 |
[07:00] | …from ” rogue nations” to “states of concern. “ | 制片:李维林威尔斯 从“流氓国家” 变成“令人忧虑的国家” |
[07:03] | – What else? – Medicare coverage of clinical trials. | -还有呢? -临床试验的健保给付 |
[07:05] | – What else? – Fraud awareness for small businesses. | -还有呢? -小型企业欺诈风潮 |
[07:08] | Not now. Anything else? | 现在别谈,还有呢? |
[07:10] | The four of you wait in my office. | 你们四个到我的办公室等我 编剧:艾伦索金 |
[07:14] | Thank you all. | 谢谢你们 |
[07:19] | – When does Konanov get here? – In a few minutes. | -卡纳诺夫什么时候到? -再过几分钟 |
[07:21] | – No high-level meetings, right? – No. | -没有高层会面,对吧? -对 导演:杰洛米卡肯 |
[07:23] | – On the lame-duck session. – Yeah? | -有关跛脚鸭会期的事 -怎样? |
[07:26] | – You don’t want to call a vote and lose. – Yeah, but this could be a window. | -你不希望把他们叫回来投票却输了 -对,但这是个机会 |
[07:30] | – We’ve gotta see if it’s doable. – Yeah. | -我们得看看是不是可行的 -是的 |
[07:33] | – It could be doable. – Yeah. | -有可能是可行的 -是的 |
[07:37] | – You got anything more to say? – Not this minute. | -你还有事吗? -现在没有了 |
[07:41] | – Thank you, Mr. President. – Thank you. | -谢谢你,总统先生 -谢谢 |
[07:46] | There’s gonna be an editorial in The Post tomorrow. | 明天的 《华盛顿邮报》会刊出社论 |
[07:49] | The president’s time isn’t being used efficiently. | 总统的时间 没有被有效地运用 |
[07:52] | Schedules are abandoned before lunch. | 午餐前的行程表全告作废 |
[07:55] | The west wing resembles a high school yearbook office. | 白宫助理跟高中 毕业纪念册委员会一样 |
[07:59] | And I believe I’m compared to a substitute teacher. | 我相信他们会把我 比拟成代课老师 |
[08:02] | – That’s ridiculous. – No, it’s not. | -那太可笑了 -才怪 |
[08:04] | Certainly not based on the display I just saw in there. So new rules. | 根据我刚刚看到的样子 一点都不可笑,我订了新规矩 |
[08:09] | You need an answer from the president, you want him to weigh in… | 你们想知道总统的答案 要他考量事情 |
[08:13] | …I want to see a summary on my desk absolutely no longer than two pages… | 我要你们送上 长度不超过两页的摘要 |
[08:17] | …and I want my initials on it before you go into the Oval Office. | 我要先看过它 你们才能进椭圆形办公室讨论 |
[08:20] | A two-page summary’s gonna kind of cramp our style, isn’t it? | 两页的摘要不足以代表 我们的行事风格,好吗? |
[08:23] | Your style could use a little cramping. Are we understood? | 你们的风格太逊了 懂了吗? |
[08:26] | – Yes. – Fine. | -是的 -好吧 |
[08:27] | Toby, Sam, take some meetings on the Hill today. | -是的 -好吧 托比,山姆 今天到国会山庄去一趟 |
[08:30] | Toby, concentrate on votes that can be loosened with Stenson gone. | 托比,你负责 史坦森走了后会投我们票的人选 |
[08:33] | Sam, dangle reservations in front of them. C.J., start the leak. | 山姆,去放消息说我们会考虑保留议席 茜洁,开始放出风声 |
[08:38] | Anybody happens to see Vasily Konanov in the hallways… | 如果你们看到瓦斯利卡纳诺夫 出现在走廊上 |
[08:41] | …walk in the other direction. That’s it. | 往反方向走,就这样 |
[08:47] | I can’t unleash my potential in a two-page summary. | 我没办法用两页的内容 去表现我的能力 |
[08:49] | I’m gonna meet with Fox and Fowler, Sam, you’re gonna go to the Hill. | 我要去找福克斯跟法勒 山姆,你得去国会山庄 |
[08:53] | Think with Stenson gone? | 因为史坦森的离开? |
[08:54] | I can get Fox and Fowler to loosen up some votes. | 我可以请福克斯跟法勒 挖一些票过来 |
[08:57] | That is, if I can ever get them to order off the damn menu. | 没错,如果我能 请他们照菜单来点菜 |
[09:00] | I’ve never seen two grown men order lunch like this. | 我从来没看过 两个成年男人是那样子点菜的 |
[09:03] | Fox and Fowler loosen the votes. Sam, you drop that we’d consider reservations. | 福克斯跟法勒会挖到票 山姆,你去放消息说我们考虑保留议席 |
[09:07] | It is not out of the realm of possibility that that gets us eight votes. | 我们不是没可能挖到八票的 |
[09:10] | They wanna speak to the president, he’s by the phone. | 如果他们想跟总统说话 他会在电话旁边等着 |
[09:13] | So this is not unimportant. | 这非常重要 |
[09:14] | I also have to take a 22-page position memo and summarize it in two pages… | 我还得将二十二页的说明内容 浓缩成两页的摘要 |
[09:19] | – … and it’s gotta be done today. – Give it to Ainsley. | -我今天就得做好 -交给艾金丝莉吧 |
[09:22] | – She’s gonna… – Get over it. | -她会 -忘了吧 |
[09:23] | There are gonna be jokes because I asked her for help. | 我请她帮忙 一定会被笑 |
[09:26] | “Reservations. ” That’s the word you’re dropping on the Hill. | “保留议席” 这是你去国会山庄所交代的事 |
[09:29] | You don’t have to leave the meeting with a win. | 你不必一定要赢 |
[09:32] | Let’s be able to end this day by telling the president… | 让我们可以在下班时 告诉总统 |
[09:35] | …he’s in striking distance and he should seriously consider the session. | 他在打击范围 他得认真考虑跛脚鸭会期的事 |
[09:39] | Let’s be able to do that. | 让我们可以那么做 |
[09:40] | Where’s C.J.? | 茜洁在哪里? |
[09:41] | She’s looking for a reporter to leak the story to. | 去了放风声 |
[09:46] | – You talk to him? – I don’t believe it. | -你跟他谈过了? -我敢不相信 |
[09:48] | You guys launched an editorial. Four in two weeks. | 你们要登出社论 两星期内的第四次 |
[09:50] | – I don’t work for the editorial staff. – That’s convenient. | -我不为编辑部工作 -那太好了 |
[09:53] | – You expect me to do nothing? – Are you gonna cancel your subscription? | -你要我什么事都不做? -你要取消你的报导? |
[09:56] | – Smack me around? – Any reason I can’t do both? | -你在耍我? -我为什么不能两者都做? |
[09:58] | – Hey, Carol. – Hey. | -嘿,卡萝 -嘿 |
[10:00] | Carol, get me the spokesperson for the majority leader. | 卡萝,帮我找 多数党领袖的发言人 |
[10:03] | – House or Senate? – Senate. | -众议院还是参议院? -参议院 |
[10:05] | So you guys are considering a lame-duck session. | 你们考虑召开 跛脚鸭会期 |
[10:07] | – Who says? – You’re calling the majority leader. | -谁说的? -你要打电话给多数党领袖 |
[10:10] | We do a great deal of business with the majority leader. | 我们跟多数党领袖 有很多事要谈 |
[10:13] | – He’s not in session. – They’ll track him down. | -现在已经休会了 -他们会找到他 |
[10:16] | Can I say “White House senior aides”? “High-level sources in the White House”? | 我能说“白宫资深助理”吗? “白宫高层人士”? |
[10:19] | “Sources in the White House office of legislative liaisons… | “不肯透露名字的白宫 |
[10:22] | – … who declined to be named. ” – It sounds like I got it from a paperboy. | -媒体部门官员” -听起来像是报童告诉我的 |
[10:25] | – Take it or leave it. – I’ll take it. | -要不要随便你 -我要 |
[10:27] | Anything else? | 还有事吗? |
[10:29] | – Nope. – Thank you. | -不 -谢谢你 |
[10:33] | – Ken Richmond on line three. – Who is he? | -肯理奇蒙在三线 -他是谁? |
[10:36] | He’s the spokesperson for the majority leader. | 他是多数党领袖的发言人 |
[10:38] | – I didn’t need him. – Ken, sorry…. | -我不需要他 -肯,对不起 |
[10:43] | What I think you don’t understand… | 我想你不了解 |
[10:45] | …is carpal tunnel is only one of many repetitive stress injuries, or RSL… | 腕隧道症候群是众多 重覆性压力伤害之一,或称RSI |
[10:51] | …which are covered by the science of ergonomics. | 它被归纳于人体工学 |
[10:53] | I’m not in charge of the science of ergonomics. | 我不负责人体工学 |
[10:56] | You’re gonna have to ask somebody else who cares. | 你得请在乎这些东西的人帮你忙 |
[10:59] | You don’t have to be in charge. OSHA is. | 你不必负责 职业安全健康协会会负责 |
[11:01] | I want to know why the White House isn’t implementing their new standards. | 我想知道为什么白宫 没有使用他们的新标准 |
[11:05] | Because the SBA says that the cost could exceed $18 billion a year… | 因为小型企业协会说 成本每年会增加一百八十亿 |
[11:11] | …there’ll be a huge increase in workmen’s compensation premiums… | 工人的退休金保费会大幅提高 |
[11:14] | …and Republicans find the word “ergonomic” to be silly. | 共和党觉得 “人体工学”这个字眼太蠢了 |
[11:17] | If we backed off everything because the words are silly… | 如果我们因为一个字太蠢了 就拒绝做所有事 |
[11:20] | …we’d have pregnant teenagers and no health care. | 我们会有怀孕的青少年 没有健保 |
[11:22] | We do have pregnant teenagers and no health care. | 我们的确有怀孕的青少年 没有健保 |
[11:25] | So how’s your plan working out so far? | 到目前为止 你的计划还好吗? |
[11:27] | – Josh? – Hang on, Charlie. | -乔西 -等一下,查理 |
[11:28] | – I don’t think this can wait. – What? | -我不认为这件事能等 -什么? |
[11:30] | Vasily Konanov is here. | 瓦斯利卡纳诺夫来了 |
[11:32] | I can’t see him. Make sure he’s not in the bullpen. | 我不能见他 别让他越过雷池一步 |
[11:34] | He’s not. He’s in the driveway. | 他没有,他在车道上 |
[11:36] | – What? – He’s sitting in the car in the driveway. | -什么? -他坐在车道上的车子里 |
[11:38] | He’s refusing to get out unless he can speak to the president. | 他拒绝下车 除非他可以跟总统说话 |
[11:40] | – This is a joke? – No. | -这是开玩笑吗? -不是 |
[11:42] | – He’s sitting in the driveway? – They’re saying…. | -他坐在车道上? -他们说 |
[11:45] | – What? – They’re saying he’s drunk. | -什么? -他们说他喝醉了 |
[11:48] | – Really? – Yeah. | -真的吗? -对 |
[11:52] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[11:57] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:08] | – Excuse me. – Yes. | -对不起 -是的 |
[12:09] | – This is your office? – Yes. | -这是你的办公室? -对 |
[12:11] | – It’s very nice, Sam. – Thank you. | -它真的很棒,山姆 -谢谢你 |
[12:13] | You can see sunlight and you have a window that can be opened. | 你可以看到阳光 窗户真的能打开 |
[12:16] | You want to work or decorate? | 你想工作或是当装璜工人? |
[12:18] | – You called me? – Yes. I need your help. | -你找我? -对,我需要你的帮忙 |
[12:20] | – Really? – Let’s not make a big deal out of it. | -真的吗? -别大惊小怪的 |
[12:22] | No, it’s sweet that you need my help. | 不,你需要我帮忙真的是太好了 |
[12:24] | I don’t need your help, I’m asking for it. | 我不需要你的帮忙 我是请你帮忙 |
[12:27] | Dad, it’s me. Sam’s asking for my help. | 爸,是我 山姆在请我帮忙 |
[12:30] | – Put the phone down. – Gotta go, Dad, I need to help Sam. | -把电话挂掉 -我得挂电话了,爸,我要去帮山姆 |
[12:33] | – You must’ve had them rolling in Georgia. – I’m from North Carolina. | -他们一定在乔治亚州笑翻了 -我来自北卡罗莱纳州 |
[12:36] | – Wherever you studied baton-twirling. – Harvard Law School. | -你在那里学会耍指挥棒 -哈佛法学院 |
[12:39] | Yes. So here’s the thing. | 对,事情是这样的 |
[12:41] | – You need my help. – A favor. | -你需要我帮忙 -是一点小忙 |
[12:43] | I have a position recommendation… | 我提了一份建议 |
[12:45] | …regarding an amendment to a commerce bill. | 是关于商业法案的修正案 |
[12:48] | It’s 22 pages long and Leo is on a streamlining kick. | 它有二十二页长 里奥想要精简它 |
[12:51] | You want me to summarize it and give it to the president? | 你要我精简它 把它交给总统? |
[12:54] | Yeah, and then I want you to skip to Tijuana in a dirndl skirt. | 对,我要你 把这个长篇大论删成小品文 |
[12:57] | – Summarize it and give it to me. – Fine. | -写成摘要后交给我 -好的 |
[13:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[13:02] | – In exchange for? – No. | -你要怎么报答我? -不 |
[13:04] | – Then my schedule’s tight. – In exchange for what? | -那么我很忙 -你要我怎么报答你? |
[13:06] | Are you going to the Hill for meetings on the Test Ban Treaty? | 你要为了禁止核试条约 到国会山庄开会? |
[13:09] | – I want to go. – No. | -我想去 -不行 |
[13:10] | – Why? – Because. | -为什么? -就是不行 |
[13:12] | I’m not gonna say anything, I’m not gonna spill anything… | 我什么都不会说 绝不会插嘴 |
[13:15] | …I’m not gonna get Republican juice on you. | 我不会摆出 共和党的样子 |
[13:17] | – I’m just gonna sit there and learn. – Look… | -我只会坐在旁边听 -听着 |
[13:20] | From the master, Sam. I wanna learn from the master. | 我想跟大师学,山姆 我想跟大师学 |
[13:25] | You see, women think that kind of thing works, but it doesn’t. | 女人以为那招有用 但事实上不然 |
[13:29] | It really does, Sam. | 它真的有用,山姆 |
[13:32] | I let you come, you’ll summarize my memo? | 我让你去你就会帮我写摘要? |
[13:34] | I’ll use punctuation and everything. You might get extra credit. | 我会尽力帮你写 或许总统会更欣赏你 |
[13:38] | Have you eaten lunch? | 你吃过午餐了吗? |
[13:39] | I brought my lunch from home. I ate it already. | 我带了便当 我已经吃过了 |
[13:42] | Did you bring your lunch? Do you think you’ll be eating it? | 你有没有带便当? 你会吃掉它吗? |
[13:45] | – You can’t have my lunch. – Okay. | -你不能吃我的午餐 -好吧 |
[13:46] | – Meet me in the lobby in an hour. – Okay. | -一小时后到大厅见我 -好的 |
[13:50] | – I’m helping her out. – Good. | -我在帮她忙 -很好 |
[13:51] | – She wants to get a feel for… – We’ve got a problem. | -她希望能感觉到 -我们有问题了 |
[13:54] | – Konanov. – Is he here? | -卡纳诺夫 -他到了吗? |
[13:56] | In a manner of speaking. | 可以那么说 |
[13:59] | – Leo? – Yeah. | -里奥? -什么事? |
[14:02] | – How you doing? – Good. | -你好吗? -我很好 |
[14:04] | Vasily Konanov is in the driveway. | 瓦斯利卡纳诺夫在车道上 |
[14:06] | He’s drunk and he won’t get out of the car until he speaks to the president. | 他喝醉了,不肯下车 除非他可以跟总统说话 |
[14:10] | – And we have a winner. – Are you kidding me? | -那真的很可笑 -你在开玩笑吗? |
[14:13] | He’s sitting in the car with a woman who is either a security attaché or a hooker. | 他坐在车子里,同行的女人 不是贴身保镖就是妓女 |
[14:17] | – Please tell me it’s not… – It’s no one you know. | -请告诉我她不是 -她不是你认识的人 |
[14:20] | – Have you spoken to him? – I’m not allowed to. | -你跟他谈过吗? -我不能跟他说话 |
[14:22] | I walked by the car a couple of times. | 我走过他的车边好几次 |
[14:24] | Leo, we gotta move him. Tourists are gonna start to ask questions… | 里奥,我们得移动他 观光客会开始问问题 |
[14:28] | …and Boris and Natasha will answer them. | 波利斯跟娜塔莎 得回答他们问题 |
[14:30] | You now have permission to talk to him. | 我现在批准你跟他说话 |
[14:32] | Put him in an office, dry him out, and explain why he can’t see the president. | 让他进办公室,让他清醒过来 跟他解释为什么他不能跟总统见面 |
[14:37] | – Try to avoid the Situation Room. – Good safety tip. | -试着避开战情室 -那一招很管用 |
[14:43] | – What? – I’m taking Ainsley to the Hill with me. | -什么? -我要带艾金丝莉去国会山庄 |
[14:45] | – Good. – She wants me to teach her some things. | -很好 -她要我教她 |
[14:48] | – She called me the master. – Get out. | -她说我是大师 -滚出去 |
[14:54] | Yeah, the risotto, but I’d like it cooked with chicken broth instead of oil. | 对,意大利炖菜 但我要把油换成鸡汤 |
[14:58] | And I’d like to substitute the snow peas for the asparagus. | 我用把芦笋换成雪豆 |
[15:01] | I’ll have the same, but I don’t want the squash puréed with cream or butter. | 我也一样 但我的煎馅饼不要加奶油或牛油 |
[15:05] | – In fact, does it even have to be puréed? – Fellas? | -事实上能不能不用煎的? -抱歉 |
[15:07] | – Just asking. – It’s puréed. Otherwise, it’s just squash. | -我只是问一下 -它是煎的,不然他们会写上纯馅饼 |
[15:11] | Butter is fine. | 用牛油好了 |
[15:13] | I’ll have a New York steak and ginger ale. Just cook it. | 我要纽约牛排跟姜汁汽水 煮熟就行了 |
[15:16] | – The rumor’s been getting around. – Is it more than a rumor? | -谣言现在四处飞 -它真的只是谣言吗? |
[15:19] | We don’t know yet. | 我们还不知道 |
[15:20] | – Our boss is fishing off the Keys. – Everybody’s boss is. | -老板们都去钓鱼了 -大家的老板都一样 |
[15:23] | Or skiing in Jackson Hole or watching football. | 或是到杰克森豪尔滑雪 或是去看足球 |
[15:26] | It’ll tear the president up to bring them back… | 总统得花番力气 把他们叫回来 |
[15:28] | …but I want to talk about if he should. | 但我想谈谈 他该不该那么做 |
[15:30] | – Our guy’s not gonna vote to ratify. – Why not? | -我们的人不会投赞成票 -为什么? |
[15:32] | – Same reason as before. – We didn’t have a vote. | -理由跟以前一样 -我们没有投过票 |
[15:35] | – Because you’d lose. – Right. | -因为你们会输 -对 |
[15:36] | What are you saying? | 你说什么? |
[15:37] | I’m saying, what if there was a vote now? Without Stenson. | 我说如果现在投票呢? 史坦顿不在了 |
[15:41] | Stenson wasn’t keeping us from voting for it. | 不是史坦顿阻止我们 投赞成票 |
[15:43] | – What was? – The voters. | -不然呢? -是选民 |
[15:45] | – 82% want the Test Ban Treaty. – Not in our state. | -八成二的人赞成禁止核试条约 -我们的州不是那样的 |
[15:48] | – You were guided by the 18%… – Not in our state, Toby. | -你被一成八的选民影响 -我们的州不是那样的,托比 |
[15:51] | 82% of voters, Joe. 82% of voters, to say nothing of 150 nations… | 乔,八成二的选民 还未包括一百五十个国家 |
[15:56] | …including Russia, China, Great Britain, France. | 包括俄国,中国 英国,法国 |
[16:00] | Get North Korea, India and Pakistan aboard, and we’ll have a ball game. | 找出北韩,印度跟巴基斯坦的立场 我们不是一定会输的 |
[16:03] | – Have you checked your back yard? – What? | -你查过自己人吗? -什么? |
[16:06] | – Have you checked your back yard? – What do you…? | -你查过自己人吗? -你是什么? |
[16:08] | In the nose count. I don’t think you have the votes you think you have. | 清点一下票数 我想你握有的票数没有你想像中多 |
[16:16] | – Who did we lose? – Make your calls. | -谁跑票了? -自己去打电话吧 |
[16:19] | I don’t have to make… | 我不必打 |
[16:21] | – Who did we lose? – Make your calls, Toby. | -谁跑票了? -自己去打电话吧,托比 |
[16:24] | – Did you say you wanted…? – Chicken broth instead of oil. | -你说你要? -把油换成鸡汤 |
[16:28] | – Snow peas instead of the asparagus. – Excuse me. | -芦笋换成雪豆 -对不起 |
[16:31] | – I don’t understand. – It happens. | -我不了解 -真的是那样 |
[16:33] | A member of the Ukrainian Parliament can just show up? | 乌克兰国会议员 不请自来? |
[16:35] | He had an appointment, just not with the president. | 他有预约 但不是约了总统 |
[16:38] | – The guy’s a little crazy, Leo. – No, he’s just…. | -这家伙疯了,里奥 -不,他只是 |
[16:41] | Yeah, he’s crazy, but he’s our kind of crazy. | 对,他是疯了 但他的疯狂是像我们的那一种 |
[16:43] | – Got it. – Good. | -了解 -很好 |
[16:45] | – The girl’s not bad-looking. – Go to work. | -那女人长得不错 -去工作吧 |
[16:47] | – You think she knows how to kill me? – Yes. | -你觉得她懂得杀人吗? -当然 |
[16:58] | – Leo. – Hey, Donna. | -里奥 -唐娜 |
[17:00] | – Can I talk to you for a moment? – Sure. | -我能跟你谈一谈吗? -可以 |
[17:03] | – That’s a very nice suit. Is it new? – No, what’s on your mind? | -你的衣服很漂亮,新买的吗? -不,你有什么事? |
[17:06] | OSHA would like to do something about repetitive stress injuries… | 职业安全健康协会想解决 重覆性压力伤害 |
[17:10] | …or musculoskeletal disorders like tendinitis or… | 或肌肉骨骼疾病 像是肌腱炎或 |
[17:13] | – Or carpal tunnel syndrome. – One interesting example out of several… | -或腕隧道症候群 -它是其中一个很有趣的例子 |
[17:18] | We can’t afford it. It costs $18 billion, Donna. Type slower. | 我们负担不起,它要花掉 一百八十亿,唐娜,打字时慢一点 |
[17:22] | C.J., what do you got? | 茜洁,有什么事吗? |
[17:24] | The State Department and our new vocabulary. | 国务院跟我们的新字汇 |
[17:26] | Is this the two- or 10-minute pitch? | 这是两分钟或十分钟的简报? |
[17:28] | – The two-minute pitch. – Go. | -两分钟 -开始 |
[17:30] | – Now you threw me off my game. – C.J. | -现在你让我不能集中精神 -茜洁 |
[17:32] | – I’m nervous now. – Come on. | -我很紧张 -少来了 |
[17:34] | – If I run over, you’re gonna play me off. – I’m getting older over here, C.J. | -如果我过了两分钟,你会责怪我 -我不耐烦了,茜洁 |
[17:38] | State wants us to change “rogue nations” to “states of concern. “ | 国务院要我们把 “流氓国家”改成“令人忧虑的国家” |
[17:41] | I say fine. It’s a symbolic gesture with no real consequence. | 我说好,它只是一种形容词 没有实质的意思 |
[17:44] | It gains us points with allies who feel we’ve been too harsh. | 它能让认为我们太严厉的盟国 对我们有点信心 |
[17:47] | It signals to countries we’re talking about that we’re open to taking positive steps. | 让我们提及的那些国家 认为我们愿意解决问题 |
[17:52] | – Any downside? – I’ll feel stupid. | -有负面影响吗? -我会觉得很蠢 |
[17:55] | – I can live with that. – You have so far. | -我可以接受 -到目前为止你都是那样 |
[17:57] | Talk to the president at the end of the day. | 下班前去找总统 |
[17:59] | – Sure. About what? – Danny wants access for a feature. | -没问题,有什么事吗? -丹尼想要写篇专栏 |
[18:03] | – No. – No, what? | -不 -什么? |
[18:05] | No, he can’t have access. | 不,他不能那么做 |
[18:06] | Leo, his editorial staff just jumped on your head yesterday and last Thursday. | 里奥,他的总编辑 昨天跟上星期四修理了你 |
[18:12] | The president twice before. Four times in two weeks. | 之前他们修理过总统两次 这种事在两星期内发生了四次 |
[18:14] | That’s why everybody’s walking around with a stopwatch. | 所以大家带着码表走路 |
[18:17] | Talk to the president at the end of the day. You’ll get another two minutes. | 下班前去找总统 你的简报可以多两分钟 |
[18:27] | Hello? | 哈��? |
[18:30] | We may be dead already. | 我们可能已经死了 |
[18:32] | – What happened? – We lost someone. | -发生了什么事? -我们跑了一票 |
[18:33] | – Who? – I don’t know. | -谁? -我不知道 |
[18:35] | I need some help. Is Tony Marino in Philadelphia? | 我需要帮忙 汤尼马利诺在费城吗? |
[18:38] | – I don’t know. – Call him and see if he’d get on a train. | -我不知道 -问他可不可以现在乘火车来这里 |
[18:41] | I wanna find out who we lost and get them back. | 我想知道谁跑票 把他们拉回来 |
[18:44] | Back up. | 别那么做 |
[18:45] | – We lost one of our people. – Who? | -我们跑了一票 -谁? |
[18:48] | – They wouldn’t tell me. – Fox and Fowler… | -他们不肯说 -福克斯跟法勒 |
[18:50] | They wouldn’t tell me. They just said to check our back yard. | 他们不肯说 他们要我查查自己的人 |
[18:54] | – Who the hell…? – I need to talk to Marino. | -到底是谁 -我得跟马利诺谈一谈 |
[18:56] | It’s not hard enough getting new votes? | 拉票还不够辛苦吗? |
[18:59] | I need you to talk to Marino. | 我要你跟马利诺谈一谈 |
[19:00] | I need you to set up a meeting with me. | 我要你安排 他跟我见面 |
[19:03] | He needs to tell me who jumped and he needs to help us bring them back. | 他得告诉我谁跑票 他需要帮我们把票拉回来 |
[19:07] | Toby, the guy lost a bad race bloody. | 托比,那家伙败选了 |
[19:09] | – He’s gonna wanna come back for this. – He’s gonna wanna sit down. | -他会想回来开会 -他想坐下来开会 |
[19:12] | Not on the Test Ban Treaty. He spent four years on it. | 他不会反对禁止核试条约 四年来他一直都很支持它 |
[19:15] | Spent a lot longer than that, and it burned him. He lost his seat. | 没错,结果他落选了 他当不成参议员 |
[19:18] | – The man’s done. – Obviously, he hasn’t. | -那家伙完了 -很明显地他还没有完 |
[19:22] | I set up this meeting, and what’s your pitch? | 我可以安排你们见面 你打算怎么做? |
[19:24] | That this treaty he wants so bad can happen. | 他想签的条约 很可能真的会实现 |
[19:27] | He can stick it to every Pennsylvania voter who put him out of a job… | 他可以教训 所有不投他票的费城市民 |
[19:30] | …and take Mitchel’s knees out before he can put his pencils in a jar. | 跟狠狠修理米契尔 |
[19:34] | – Plus, who did we lose? – He might not know. | -到底是谁跑票? -他或许不会知道 |
[19:36] | He’ll know. | 他会知道 |
[19:37] | – He’s been out of town for a month. – He’ll know. | -他已经出城一个月了 -他会知道的 |
[19:41] | If it was anything less important than a Test Ban Treaty… | 要不是禁止核试条约 这么重要 |
[19:44] | Margaret! | 玛格丽特! |
[19:46] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[19:50] | – Toby. – Messages? | -托比 -有留言吗? |
[19:51] | – Yeah, but… – Why are my blinds closed? | -有,但是 -为什么我的百叶窗拉了下来? |
[19:53] | Yeah, listen… | 对,听我说 |
[20:03] | Yeah, yeah! That deserves an explanation. | 对!我可以跟你解释 |
[20:12] | Mr. Konanov? Mr. Konanov? Yes, right in here, sir. | 卡纳诺夫先生 这边请 |
[20:15] | – Right in here. – Errand boys is what they send me. | -这边 -他们派跑腿小弟跟我谈 |
[20:18] | I am a reformer and I will lead the Ukraine, and you know this… | 我是改革者,我会带领乌克兰 你们都知道 |
[20:21] | – … and they send me errand boys. – I’m the deputy chief of staff. | -他们派跑腿小弟跟我谈 -我是副幕僚长 |
[20:25] | It’s actually a very… It’s a big… | 事实上它是个非常 它是非常大的 |
[20:29] | Never mind. Mr. Konanov, please understand. There’s protocol. | 那不重要,卡纳诺夫先生 请你了解,我们有我们的原则 |
[20:33] | Your government has a leader we deal with. | 我们得跟你政府的领导人 打交道 |
[20:35] | – You wish to deal with me. – We do… | -你们想跟我打交道 -没错 |
[20:38] | – … but right now President Shevkuh is… – You’ve called my embassy? | -但现在谢瓦夫总统 -你打电话通知我的大使馆了吗? |
[20:41] | We are seeking permission to have you speak with Secretary Shaeffer… | 我们正在想办法 让你跟夏佛秘书谈 |
[20:45] | I wish to speak to the president. | 我想跟总统谈 |
[20:47] | Now that’s not gonna happen, and you damn well know it. | 那是不可能的,你非常清楚 |
[20:50] | – You speak to him in this tone? – He’s drunk in my office… | -你用那种语气跟他说话? -他在我的办公室喝醉了 |
[20:54] | …and I will speak to him in whatever tone pleases me. | 我想怎么跟他说话 是我的事 |
[20:57] | Donna! | 唐娜! |
[21:00] | Put two uniformed agents outside my door and tell Leo I’m coming over. | 派两位制服探员到我门外守着 告诉里奥我要去找他 |
[21:04] | How I miss the Cold War. | 我好想念冷战 |
[21:10] | – This is my fifth… – Sam… | -这是我的第五 -山姆 |
[21:11] | It’s my last meeting on the Hill. | 这是我在国会山庄最后一场会议 |
[21:14] | I wanna know what it’ll take to get your boss to loosen his grip. | 我想知道要怎样做 你老板才会投我们票 |
[21:17] | If the senator moves, he frees up eight, maybe 10 votes. | 如果参议员投我们票 我们可以得到八到十票 |
[21:20] | – He gives political cover to those… – Why should he move? | -他用政治借口来包装 -他为什么要投你们? |
[21:24] | – Well, it’s the right thing to do. – You know, Sam, it’s not a holy thing. | -那么做是对的 -山姆,你知道这跟高不高尚没有关系 |
[21:28] | You guys act like if you’re against the treaty, you’re bloodthirsty. | 你们一付反对条约 就等于是杀人凶手的样子 |
[21:32] | Republicans aren’t the only ones against it. | 不只共和党反对它 |
[21:34] | Six secretaries of defense, five former CIA directors. | 六位国防部长 五位前中情局长 |
[21:36] | A former secretary of state and a national security advisor. | 一位前国务�� 跟一位国家安全顾问 |
[21:39] | 31 Nobel Laureates, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs… | 三十一位诺贝尔奖得主 参谋首长联席会议主席 |
[21:42] | …150 countries and 82% of voters say the treaty makes the world a safer place. | 一百五十个国家跟八成二的选民 认为这条约能让世界变得更安全 |
[21:47] | Not if North Korea and Iran are making significant technological improvements… | 如果北韩跟伊朗 在科技上做出卓越突破 |
[21:51] | …while the president’s handing out pens. | 这世界就不会是安全的 |
[21:53] | Tell me that the chance we take… | 告诉我我们冒的险 |
[21:55] | …isn’t outweighed by the chance we take doing nothing. | 比我们什么事都不做冒的险大 |
[21:58] | – I’ve heard all this. – Right, and I’m here to ask you this: | -我听过这些话 -对,我是来问你们 |
[22:01] | I’m here to ask you this: is there no room for movement? | 我是来问你们 没有可能改变主意吗? |
[22:05] | We’d consider attaching reservations. | 我们会考虑保留议席 |
[22:10] | If you can’t trust a man’s word, what good is it to put it on paper? | 如果你不能相信一个人的说话 白字黑纸又能代表什么? |
[22:13] | Is there room for movement? | 没有可能改变主意吗? |
[22:15] | – You wasted a trip. – I’ll waste more of them. | -你是在浪费时间 -我还会再来的 |
[22:17] | – We’re done? – Yeah. | -我们谈完了吗? -对 |
[22:20] | – Ainsley, I’m surprised to see you here. – Why? | -艾金丝莉,我很讶异能见到你 -为什么? |
[22:23] | Before you were on Bartlet’s payroll you were an opponent of the treaty. | 你领巴特勒的薪水之前 是十分反对这项条约的 |
[22:27] | Well, it’s President Bartlet, I’m on the government payroll… | 他是巴特勒总统 我是接受政府的薪水 |
[22:30] | …and I believe that politics should stop at the water’s edge. | 我相信 我们不该太政治化了 |
[22:34] | It should stop well before that, but Elvis isn’t cutting records anymore. | 它早就该停止了 但猫王已经不再录唱片了 |
[22:39] | – What is she saying? – I don’t think you think the treaty’s bad. | -她说什么? -我不认为你们反对这项条约 |
[22:42] | I don’t think you think it’s good. | 我不认为你们赞成它 |
[22:45] | – You just wanna beat the White House. – Yes. | -你们只是想打击白宫 -对 |
[22:48] | You’re a schmuck, Peter. | 你是个混蛋,彼德 |
[22:50] | Today, tomorrow, next year, next term… | 今天,明天 明年,下个会期 |
[22:53] | …they’ll have the treaty ratified without the reservations he just offered you. | 他们会通过这个条约 而你们也不会得到保留议席 |
[23:01] | Can I take this muffin? | 我能带走这个松饼吗? |
[23:04] | Yeah. | 请便 |
[23:14] | – Margaret? – Yeah. | -玛格丽特? -什么事? |
[23:16] | – You got that memo? – Any minute now. | -备忘录准备好了吗? -马上好 |
[23:21] | – Margaret? – Yeah. | -玛格丽特? -什么事? |
[23:24] | – What the hell are you doing? – Why, I’m typing, Leo. | -你在做什么? -我在打字,里奥 |
[23:29] | – Margaret… – Your response to Donna’s concern… | -玛格丽特 -你告诉唐娜 |
[23:33] | …about the White House not supporting OSHA’s recommendation about RSLs… | 白宫不支持职业安全健康协会 对重覆性压力做成的伤害的建议 |
[23:38] | …was “type slower. “ | 就是“打字时慢一点” |
[23:40] | Donna has organized most of the assistants here to do just that. | 所以唐娜叫 大部份的助理慢慢地打字 |
[23:45] | – Margaret? – Yeah. | -玛格丽特 -什么事? |
[23:47] | Look at my face right now. | 看着我 |
[23:51] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[23:52] | – Leo. – Can you keep your people in line? | -里奥 -你可以控制一下你的下属吗? |
[23:55] | There’s been no evidence of it so far. | 还没有证据 |
[23:58] | – Listen. – Inside. | -听我说 -到里面去 |
[24:00] | So, what’s going on? | 发生了什么事? |
[24:02] | Well, I’ve got The Man Who Came to Dinner in my office. | 我将“不请自来先生” 带进我的办公室 |
[24:05] | I’m begging the Ukrainian Embassy for help. | 我拜托乌克兰大使馆帮忙 |
[24:07] | If I don’t get some soon, I’m gonna apply for a job there. | 如果他们不快点来帮忙 我会到那里去找工作 |
[24:11] | No, here’s what we’re gonna do. | 不,我们得这么做 |
[24:13] | All this guy wants is to be able to say he met the president. | 这些家伙只是想跟大家说 他跟总统见面了 |
[24:16] | – He can’t meet the president. – He can accidentally. | -他不能跟总统见面 -他可以意外地跟他见面 |
[24:20] | How do you do that? | 我们要怎么做? |
[24:22] | We did it with the Dalai Lama. | 我们就是那样处理达赖喇嘛的事 |
[24:24] | Beijing doesn’t want the president to have any diplomatic contact… | 北京不希望总统 跟他有外交上的接触 |
[24:28] | …so they arrange a low-level meeting, keep the door open… | 所以他们安排低层会面 将门打开 |
[24:31] | …the president wanders by. ” Hey, how you doing, Dalai Lama? “ | 总统刚好走到那里 “你好吗?达赖喇嘛” |
[24:37] | – That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. – It works. | -那是我听过最疯狂的事 -这招真的很好用 |
[24:40] | – This is how the world is run? – Yeah. | -世界就是这样运作的吗? -对 |
[24:42] | – I’m sticking to domestic policy. – Yeah, that has the ring of sanity to it. | -我要严守白宫的规定 -对,那么做才是对的 |
[24:46] | – Is Toby meeting with Marino? – Toby’s on a mission. | -托比跟马利诺见面了吗? -托比出差去了 |
[24:49] | I know you’re not comfortable… | 我知道你不喜欢 |
[24:51] | Exerting influence after being voted out is an ethically gray area for me. | 败选后还要利用那个人的影响力 对我来说这是道德的灰色区域 |
[24:57] | They’re all ethically gray areas. | 每件事都是道德的灰色区域 |
[24:59] | If we’re gonna have a chance, we’ve gotta invite Marino. | 如果我们有机会 我们会邀请马利诺 |
[25:02] | – Marino’s gonna want in because… – Marino lives for revenge. | -马利诺会答应,因为 -马利诺想报复 |
[25:06] | I was gonna say because Marino’s devoted to the issue. | 我要说 因为马利诺支持这件事 |
[25:09] | – We may have lost one of our guys. – Who? | -我们可能跑了一票 -谁? |
[25:11] | Toby’s gonna ask Marino. | 托比要去问马利诺 |
[25:13] | Hey! Norma Rae, get in here. | 诺犸雷,快进来 |
[25:18] | The man’s trying to run a country. | 他想要治理一个国家 |
[25:19] | This law would prevent 32 to 95,000 injuries a year. | 这项法律每年可以预防 三万两千到九万五千宗伤害事件 |
[25:22] | – Not here it wouldn’t. – Why not? | -在这里不是那样的 -为什么? |
[25:24] | The White House and Congress are exempt from the workplace-related laws. | 白宫跟国会 不受工作场合法令限制 |
[25:28] | The White House and Congress are exempt? | 白宫跟国会有豁免权? |
[25:31] | Well, that makes things considerably easier for yourselves. | 那让你们轻松很多 |
[25:34] | – Josh, set it up. – You’ve got your 4:00. | -乔西,去安排一下 -你得去赴四点钟的约会 |
[25:37] | – I got a job for you. – Congress and White House are exempt. | -我有份工作要派你去做 -白宫跟国会有豁免权 |
[25:41] | – Get past it. – What do you need? | -算了吧 -你要我做什么? |
[25:42] | I need Vasily Konanov to meet with someone of absolutely no consequence. | 我要安排瓦斯利卡纳诺夫 跟一个不重要的人见面 |
[25:46] | You’re my girl. | 你是我的理想人选 |
[25:48] | – What the hell…? – Meet with Vasily Konanov. | -搞什么 -跟瓦斯利卡纳诺夫见面 |
[25:50] | – Why? – So the president can interrupt you. | -为什么? -让总统打断你们的谈话 |
[25:53] | – Are you kidding me? – No. | -你是在开玩笑吗? -不 |
[25:55] | – So I’m a beard. – Yes. | -我是幌子 -对 |
[25:56] | – I’m being used. – Yes. | -我被利用了 -对 |
[25:57] | – As a dupe. – Yes. | -我是假目标 -对 |
[25:59] | – How am I supposed to feel about that? – How do you usually feel about that? | -我该有什么感觉呢? -你通常会有什么感觉? |
[26:03] | – My value here is that I have no value? – You have enormous value to me. | -我对这里的贡献是我毫无价值? -你对我来说非常有价值 |
[26:07] | You have no value to Eastern Europe. | 你对东欧没有价值 |
[26:10] | – Okay. You know what this is? – No. | -好吧,你知道这是什么吗? -不知道 |
[26:12] | – This is an opportunity. – Right. | -这是机会 -对 |
[26:13] | This is a man who understands the plight of the worker. | 这个人了解工人的辛苦 |
[26:17] | Or do you think he’ll understand the plight of economics? | 你觉得他了解 经济有多不景气吗? |
[26:20] | He’s drunk and doesn’t speak much English… | 他喝醉了,英文也不太流利 |
[26:22] | …so I don’t think he’s gonna understand much. | 我认为他应该听不懂 |
[26:25] | But set up the meeting and knock them dead. | 但安排跟他们见面 迷倒他们 |
[26:31] | – “Can I have this muffin? ” – Listen, I was… | -“我能带走这个松饼吗?” -听着,我 |
[26:34] | The sharpest of closing remarks will be blunted by asking for a muffin. | 你说得正是慷慨激昂 结尾却是问他们你能不能带走松饼 |
[26:39] | The minute we left, those guys were calling their bosses saying: | 我们离开后 他们会打电话问他们的老板 |
[26:42] | “They’re offering reservations, let’s jump on it. “ | “他们愿意考虑保留议席 我们投赞成票吧“ |
[26:45] | You did great. And ” politics stopping at the water’s edge” was touching… | 你表现的很棒, “我们不该 太政治化了”真的很动人 |
[26:49] | – … and then you asked for a muffin. – I was hungry. | -然后你问他们松饼的事 -我饿了 |
[26:52] | – How’d it go on the Hill? – As expected. But know what I think? | -国会山庄那边情况如何? -一如预期,你知道我有什么想法吗? |
[26:55] | I think Ramsey, Roanoke, maybe Grace are gonna vote for it anyway. | 我想兰西,罗纳克 或许连葛瑞斯都会投赞成票 |
[26:59] | – Why? – Cause Tony Marino’s gonna tell them to. | -为什么? -因为汤尼马利诺会要他们那么做 |
[27:01] | Three senators that can’t get reelected without labor… | 没有劳工的帮忙 三位参议员无法再度当选 |
[27:04] | …and Marino’s still gonna swing a big bat with the unions. | 马利诺还是能操控工会 |
[27:07] | – Toby’s meeting with him now. – Good. | -托比正在跟他谈 -很好 |
[27:09] | Should I give Danny access for a feature? | 我该让丹尼做专访吗? |
[27:11] | Yes. | 对 |
[27:12] | – You’re wrong. – Okay. | -你错了 -好吧 |
[27:14] | – You should. – Why? | -你应该那么做 -为什么? |
[27:16] | – He’s cute. – I’m leaving. | -他很可爱 -我要走了 |
[27:19] | – Do you have my two-page summary? – I’m sorry? | -我的两页摘要写好了吗? -你说什么? |
[27:21] | – Do you have my two-page summary? – Yes. | -我的两页摘要写好了吗? -对 |
[27:24] | – Could I have it? – Yes. | -可以交给我吗? -当然可以 |
[27:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[27:43] | – You reversed my position. – Yeah. | -你改变了我的立场 -对 |
[27:45] | I gave this to you to summarize, and you reversed my position. | 我要你浓缩它 你却改变了我的立场 |
[27:49] | – I polished it. – You reversed my position. | -我改写了一点 -你改变了我的立场 |
[27:51] | – It’s shorter. – And you reversed my position. | -它变短了 -你改变了我的立场 |
[27:54] | – Your position was wrong. – Could you step inside, please? | -你的立场错了 -麻烦你进来一下 |
[28:11] | Senator. | 参议员 |
[28:12] | – How you doing, Toby? – What are you having? | -你好吗?托比 -你要喝什么? |
[28:15] | – Dewar’s rocks. – I appreciate your coming down. | -加冰的威士忌 -谢谢你赶过来 |
[28:19] | The president’s thinking about calling a session. You heard? | 总统考虑要加开会期 你听说了吗? |
[28:22] | It was well-leaked. | 消息传得满天飞 |
[28:23] | It’s nice we found a use for our particular talents. | 我们很高兴 终于有发挥的舞台 |
[28:26] | Anyway, I had a meeting at lunch with Joe Fox and Bob Fowler… | 总之,我跟乔福克斯 巴伯法勒一起吃午餐 |
[28:30] | …and they said we may have lost one of our guys. | 他们说我们的人当中 有一个人跑票 |
[28:33] | And I wanted to find out if it was true, who it was and is it important. | 我想知道那是不是真的 那个人是谁,这很重要 |
[28:36] | It’s true and it couldn’t be less important. | 那是真的 它的确很重要 |
[28:39] | – Who is it? – It was me, Toby. | -他是谁? -是我,托比 |
[28:41] | – I don’t understand. – They were talking about me. | -我不了解 -他们在谈论我 |
[28:45] | I don’t… | 我不 |
[28:47] | Tony, I don’t understand. | 汤尼,我不了解 |
[28:49] | You’ve changed your mind? I don’t… | 你改变了心意? 我不 |
[28:51] | No, I haven’t changed my mind, and I’ll do whatever spadework you want… | 不,我没有改变心意 你要我怎么做我都愿意 |
[28:55] | …but if you call a session, I can’t vote for it. | 但如果你们加开会期 我不会投赞成票 |
[28:58] | – Here you go. – Thank you. | -你的酒来了 -谢谢 |
[29:02] | – Tony… – I’m a lame-duck senator. | -汤尼 -我是跛脚鸭会期的参议员 |
[29:04] | The people of Pennsylvania voted me out and Mitchel in. | 宾州的人不选我 米契尔当选参议员 |
[29:07] | He gets a seat on Foreign Relations, we should all kill ourselves. | 他会进入外交委员会 我们都应该自杀 |
[29:11] | I’m gonna talk to Newberry about staying where he is and stopping dominos. | 我会说服纽贝利别换委员会 阻止骨牌效应 |
[29:14] | – There’s no reason why you can’t… – They voted me out. | -我不懂你为什么不能 -他们没有投我的票 |
[29:17] | Largely based on my support of the Test Ban Treaty. | 主要原因是我支持 禁止核试条约 |
[29:20] | – Because Mitchel painted a picture. – That’s not for me to say. | -是米契尔设计的 -我不该那么说 |
[29:23] | I’m gonna choose not to assume that my constituents were duped. | 我不想假设 我的选民被骗了 |
[29:27] | – Senator, nobody expects… – Nobody expects. Nobody expects. | -参议员,没有人希望 -没有人希望 |
[29:32] | It seems we’ve come to expect less from each other, and that should change. | 看来我们对彼此都不抱太大希望 那一点将会改变 |
[29:38] | I’m a senator for 10 more weeks. I respect what these people want. | 我只能再做十星期的参议员 我尊重我选民的选择 |
[29:43] | You call a lame-duck session now, and I’ve got to abstain. | 你们可以召开跛脚鸭会期 我会投弃权票 |
[30:01] | Now this is the Northwest executive entrance to the White House. | 这是白宫 西北侧的员工出入口 |
[30:05] | Ordinarily, I’d show you more, but the president’s in the west wing right now… | 一般来说,我会带大家深入参观 但总统正好在西厢 |
[30:10] | …and when he’s working, we like to keep the area as calm as possible. | 他工作时 我们不希望制造骚动 |
[30:14] | The whole damn world’s flying apart at the equator, you know that, Bonnie? | 世界快要瓦解了 你知道吗?邦妮 |
[30:18] | This, of course, is my boss, Toby Ziegler. | 当然��,这位是我的老板 托比齐格 |
[30:20] | Why is a Test Ban Treaty so important? | 为什么禁止核试条约那么重要? |
[30:23] | Let me tell you. In 1974, India set off a peaceful nuclear explosion. | 让我告诉你们,在1974年 印度做了和平的核子试爆 |
[30:28] | Indira Ghandi said they had no intention of building a bomb… | 甘地说他们无意制造炸弹 |
[30:31] | …just wanted to know that they could. | 只是想知道他们做得到 |
[30:33] | 20 years later, India sets off five nuclear explosions. | 二十年后 印度进行了五次核子试爆 |
[30:36] | Who gets nervous? Pakistan. | 谁会紧张呢?巴基斯坦 |
[30:38] | When Pakistan gets nervous, everybody gets nervous. | 巴基斯坦一紧张 大家都紧张起来 |
[30:40] | You know why? Because we’re all gonna die. | 你们知道为什么? 因为我们都会死掉 |
[30:44] | Sam, half of America’s work force is employed by small business. | 山姆,有一半的美国工人 受雇于小型企业 |
[30:48] | That’s companies that employ fewer than 100 workers. | 它们是雇员少于 一百人的公司 |
[30:51] | – I know what it is. – Then you know that a third of them fail. | -我知道 -你也知道三分之一的小型企业倒闭了 |
[30:54] | One third of all small businesses lose money and fail. | 三分之一的小型企业 因为亏损倒闭 |
[30:57] | Not because of rent hikes or big chains squeezing them out… | 不是因为房租升高 或大型连锁企业压榨他们 |
[31:01] | – … but because of why? – Employee fraud. | -为什么呢? -员工欺诈 |
[31:03] | – That’s right. – Yes. | -没错 -对 |
[31:05] | – What do you say? – You reversed my position. | -你觉得呢? -你改变了我的立场 |
[31:07] | Other than what you’ve been saying for the last hour and a half. | 过去一个半小时来 你只会说这句话 |
[31:11] | I can’t believe I’m listening to a Republican… | 我不敢相信 我在听共和党员 |
[31:13] | …tell me the government should run background checks. | 告诉我政府应该支持背景调查 |
[31:16] | I can’t believe I’m listening to a Republican. | 我不敢相信 我在听共和党员说话 |
[31:18] | Could it be that the people you want to fingerprint have darker skin? | 你最想调查的是有色人种员工吗? |
[31:21] | Well, not to let the facts interfere, but 80% of violators are white. | 别让事实误导你 但八成的欺诈员工是白人 |
[31:26] | Fraudulent employees are three times more likely to be married… | 已婚员工欺诈的比例 多出三倍 |
[31:29] | …four times more likely to be men, 16 times more likely to be executives… | 男人的比例多出四倍 主管的比例多出十六倍 |
[31:33] | …and five times more likely to have postgraduate degrees. | 硕士的比例多出五倍 |
[31:37] | You… Listen… You know… | 你听着你知道 |
[31:40] | I can’t… All right. | 我不能好吧 |
[31:42] | – Start from the beginning. – Really? | -从头开始 -真的吗? |
[31:45] | – Are you eating that donut? – Take it and start from the beginning. | -你要吃那个甜甜圈吗? -你吃吧,从头开始说 |
[31:53] | – Hello. – Hey, C.J. | -哈�� -嗨,茜洁 |
[31:54] | – I’m supposed to see him? – There’s a meeting… | -哈�� -嗨,茜洁 -我应该见他吗? -他们正在见面 |
[31:56] | …but they’re circling for a landing. | 但他们还在观望中 |
[31:58] | – You mind if I wait? – No. | -我可以等吗? -当然 |
[31:59] | – Hey, Charlie. – Hey, Danny. | -我可以等吗? -当然 -嗨,查理 -嘿,丹尼 |
[32:01] | – Hey, C.J. – Hey, nimrod. | -嗨,茜洁 -嗨,猎人 |
[32:02] | – I leaked your damn story for you. – I leaked it to you, pal. | -我帮你放消息 -是我放消息给你 |
[32:05] | – I used you like so much whatever. – Well-put. | -我可以随心所欲地利用你 -说的好 |
[32:08] | – I’m here to see the president. – He’s finishing up a meeting. | -我是来见总统的 -他快开完会了 |
[32:11] | Charlie, Danny’s paper, after savaging us four times in two weeks… | 查理,丹尼的报社 在两星期内修理了我们四次 |
[32:15] | …would like access to write a three-part feature. | 他想要写一篇 三个部分的专访 |
[32:17] | – About what? – About winning a Pulitzer Prize. | -主题是什么? -如何赢得普立兹奖 |
[32:20] | See, reporters seldom win a Pulitzer. Feature writers do. | 记者不常得到普立兹奖 但剧作家胜率很大 |
[32:24] | And The Post has been getting a little outpaced lately. | 《华盛顿邮报》最近正在赶上来 |
[32:27] | Do you suspect my motives are anything but journalistic? | 你怀疑我的动机 不是要报导真相? |
[32:30] | – I’d definitely like to be part of this. – This doesn’t have anything to do…? | -我不喜欢被扯进这种事 -这应该跟? |
[32:33] | – C.J. – Thank you. | -茜洁 -谢谢你 |
[32:38] | – Good evening. – No more rogue nations, huh? | -晚安 -不再有流氓国家了吗? |
[32:41] | – Yes, sir. – Well, that was easy. | -是的 -那太容易了 |
[32:42] | What’s doing, Claudia Jean? | 你好吗?克劳蒂雅珍 |
[32:44] | The Post would like access for Danny to do a three-part feature. | 《华盛顿邮报》想派丹尼 做三部分的专访 |
[32:48] | Yeah, let’s do it. | 我们开始吧 |
[32:50] | – No, I don’t think it’s a good idea, sir. – Why not? | 我们开始吧 -不,我不觉得那是个好主意 -为什么? |
[32:52] | – After the editorials they’ve run… – They’ve been way off base. | -他们的总编 -他们做得太过火了 |
[32:56] | Not so much the second one, but the first, third and fourth were silly. | 第二篇还不算什么 但第一,第三跟第四篇太过份了 |
[33:00] | Exactly, so let’s send them a message. | 没错,我们要跟他们表达一个讯息 |
[33:02] | – First of all, it wasn’t Danny. – Danny is their representative. | -首先,那不是丹尼干的 -丹尼是他们的代表 |
[33:06] | We have to stop being a punching bag and they need a wake-up call. | 我们不能再当沙包 他们需要被提醒一下 |
[33:09] | It’s gonna look petty and petulant… | 这看起来会很糟糕 |
[33:11] | – … because it’s petty and petulant. – Nobody elected this newspaper. | -因为它真的很糟糕 -没有人投这家报社一票 |
[33:14] | Certainly not the 48 million people who chose you to be president. | 投你一票的四千八百万选民 当然不会相信他们 |
[33:18] | But not having to run for anything tends to help with honesty and decisiveness. | 但那无助于 建立你果决诚实的形象 |
[33:22] | – Send Danny in. – Yes, sir. | -叫丹尼进来 -是的,长官 |
[33:23] | – You have to send them a message. – I really don’t, C.J. | -你得传达讯息给他们 -我真的不必,茜洁 |
[33:30] | – Is this personal? – Excuse me? | -这跟私人关系有关吗? -你说什么? |
[33:32] | I hear things. I don’t understand it, but I hear it. | 我听到谣言,我不了解 但我听到了 |
[33:35] | No, sir, it’s absolutely not personal. | 不,这绝对跟私人关系无关 |
[33:38] | He’s a great reporter. You’re a great press secretary. | 他是个好记者 你是个优秀的新闻秘书 |
[33:40] | That’s why it wasn’t gonna work as long as you had those jobs. | 所以只要你们还在这个职位上 就没有办法交往 |
[33:43] | – I can assure you… – Hey, Danny. | -我可以跟你保证 -丹尼 |
[33:45] | I think you guys have had your heads up your asses the last few weeks. | 我想过去几星期来 你们不知道自己在做什么 |
[33:49] | – I hope you don’t mind me saying so. – Of course not. | -希望你不会介意我那么说 -当然不会 |
[33:51] | I think you’ve been trying to bait me, which is a waste of time, paper and ink. | 我想你要套我话 很明显地那是在浪费时间 |
[33:56] | I’m 50 times smarter than any of you will ever hope to be. | 我比你想像中聪明五十倍 |
[33:59] | I’ve got an election in two years… | 我在两年内赢得大选 |
[34:00] | …and I’m not about to alienate The Washington Post. | 我不会回避《华盛顿邮报》 |
[34:03] | I tell you what I will do. I’m canceling our subscription. | 我告诉你我要怎么做 我要取消我们的订报 |
[34:06] | Excellent, sir. The White House buys 1100 copies every day. | 很好,长官 白宫每天订一千一百份 |
[34:09] | Canceling that subscription should send a message. | 取消订报 应该能够让他们了解我们的愤怒 |
[34:12] | No, I meant just mine and Abbey’s. I’ll borrow a copy from somebody. | 不,我是指我跟艾碧的订报 我会跟别人借报纸来看 |
[34:15] | – Mr. President? – Yeah. Take it easy, Danny. | -总统先生 -别激动,丹尼 |
[34:19] | C.J. will give you all the access you want. | 茜洁会告诉你 所有的细节 |
[34:21] | – Thank you, sir. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢你,长官 -谢谢你,总统先生 |
[34:27] | I’ve gotta go tell circulation we lost $32.95. | 我会告诉发行部 我们损失了三十二块九角五毛 |
[34:30] | I know about the job offer. | 我知道你有升�E的机会 |
[34:34] | – I figured. – I’ve known for a couple of days. | -我明白 -我已经知道好几天了 |
[34:37] | – Yeah. – You don’t want to be an editor? | -对 -你不想当编辑吗? |
[34:39] | – I’m a White House reporter. – Taking a job outside the press room…. | -我是白宫记者 -接受媒体室以外的工作 |
[34:44] | I have no problem with a reporter dating the press secretary. | 我不反对记者 跟新闻秘书约会 |
[34:49] | Well, I have a problem, so…. | 喔,我反对,所以 |
[34:55] | Yeah. | 对 |
[34:56] | Okay, I’ll see you later. | 好吧,待会见 |
[35:00] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[35:13] | The keyboard forces users to put their wrists into a palms-down position… | 键盘逼得使用者 得将手掌向下弯曲 |
[35:17] | …and encourages a sideways wrist twist to reach the Enter key. | 让侧放的手腕转向输入键 |
[35:21] | That sideways twist is called an ” ulnar deviation, ” and it’s very bad. | 侧放的手腕转向叫做 “尺侧弯曲” ,那真的很糟糕 |
[35:24] | It has a right-hand bias toward the important letter and number keys… | 它将重要的文字及数字键 放在右边 |
[35:28] | …and frequently used keys like Enter and Shift are near the weakest finger… | 最常使用的输入键 跟改变键却靠近最无力的指头 |
[35:32] | – … forcing the wrist to absorb stress… – What is this woman talking about? | -逼着手腕得吸收压力 -这个女人在说什么? |
[35:36] | I’m talking about my government’s unwillingness to… | 我在说我政府不愿意 |
[35:39] | Vasily? Vasily Konanov? | 瓦斯利?瓦斯利卡纳诺夫? |
[35:41] | You’re the last person I expected to be where they told me to go. | 我没有想到 我在这里会见到你 |
[35:45] | – Mr. President. – Thank you, Donna. Gentlemen. | -总统先生 -谢谢你,唐娜,还有大伙们 |
[35:51] | – Vasily? – Yes. | -瓦斯利? -是的 |
[35:53] | I don’t know who this is. | 我不知道她是谁 |
[36:05] | What the hell are you doing? | 你到底在做什么? |
[36:08] | Mr. President…. | 总统先生 |
[36:11] | I would like to talk to you about commercial lending rights. | 我要跟你谈谈 金融放款债权 |
[36:14] | I would like to talk to you about the World Trade Organization. | 我还要跟你谈谈 世贸组织 |
[36:17] | And I would like to talk to you about nuclear compatibility. | 我要跟你谈谈 核武问题 |
[36:20] | I’m not the transportation secretary… | 我不是运输部秘书 |
[36:22] | …you’ll join the WTO when you reduce the 300% tariff on American cars… | 你得降低对美国汽车的关税 才能加入世贸组织 |
[36:27] | …and with a nuclear weapon pointed at my head… | 如果你们还用 核武指着我的头 |
[36:30] | …I will not talk to you about nuclear compatibility. | 我绝不会跟你 谈核武问题 |
[36:33] | – Mr. President… – You’re a reformer. | -总统先生 -你是改革者 |
[36:35] | You’re gonna do good things in Eastern Europe. | 你将可以让东欧变得更好 |
[36:38] | I’m looking forward to the day when you’re president. | 我期待你当上总统的那一天 |
[36:40] | Until then, my State Department deals with the government of the Ukraine. | 在那之前,我的国务院 只会跟乌克兰政府打交道 |
[36:45] | Now you can go home and do exactly what you wanted to do… | 现在你可以回家 做你想做的事 |
[36:49] | …which is say you’ve met with the president of the United States. | 告诉大家 你跟美国总统见过面 |
[36:57] | You just have. | 你真的做到了 |
[37:00] | How you doing? | 你好吗? |
[37:04] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[37:06] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[37:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:13] | Dr. Zhivago is out of here. What do you have? | 齐瓦哥医生离开了 你们有什么事? |
[37:16] | The Commerce Department wants us to back an amendment… | 商务部要我们 重新拟定修正案 |
[37:19] | …to help small businesses with fraud prevention and employee theft. | 帮助小型企业 预防员工欺诈跟窃盗 |
[37:23] | – We want to recommend it. – You have numbers? | -我们想支持 -你们能提出数字吗? |
[37:25] | This is from an independent study I have faith in. | 数字来自一份独立研究 我对它有信心 |
[37:28] | 30% of workers plan to steal from their employers. | 三成的员工 计划窃取老板的资产 |
[37:30] | 30% give in to occasional temptation. | 三成受不了意外诱惑 |
[37:33] | 5% will commit fraud regardless of circumstances… | 百分之五不管环境为何 会犯下欺诈罪 |
[37:36] | …85% will commit fraud given the right circumstances. | 八成五的员工 在情况许可下会犯欺诈罪 |
[37:39] | – What are the right circumstances? – Need, opportunity… | -什么是情况许可? -有需要,机会 |
[37:43] | …and the ability to rationalize their behavior. It’s called the fraud triangle. | 跟有能力去合理化他们的行为 那叫做欺诈金三角 |
[37:47] | It’s gonna help when we wanna raise the minimum wage. | 如果我们想提高最低工资 它应该能帮上忙 |
[37:49] | Small business owners are opposed to wage hikes. | 小型企业老板 反对提高工资 |
[37:52] | – You weren’t gonna go the other way? – Yeah, I was. | -你本来的想法不是这样? -没错 |
[37:55] | – You got turned around? – Yeah. | -现在你改变了想法? -对 |
[37:58] | – Okay, good. Thanks. – Thanks. | -好吧,谢谢你 -谢谢 |
[38:00] | – Hang on. I wanted to… – Thank you, Leo. | -等一下,我想 -谢谢你,里奥 |
[38:06] | – That was it? – Yeah. | -就那样? -对 |
[38:08] | – That was it? – Yeah. | -就那样? -对 |
[38:10] | – I don’t understand. – You don’t understand what? | -我不了解 -你不了解什么? |
[38:12] | – What just happened? – Leo said yes. We’re in. | -刚刚发生了什么事? -里奥答应了,我们有希望 |
[38:15] | – I don’t understand. – Leo said yes, end of meeting. | -我不了解 -里奥答应了,会议结束 |
[38:19] | I was just talking, Sam. I was just talking to you. | 我只是说出我的看法,山姆 我只是跟你谈谈 |
[38:22] | We play with live ammo around here. | 在这里我们都是很认真的 |
[38:24] | You convinced me, I convinced Leo. Leo’ll convince the president. | 你说服我,我说服里奥 里奥会说服总统 |
[38:28] | It’s a short day and a big country. We’ve gotta move fast. | 时间不多,要做的事却很多 我们得加快脚步 |
[38:30] | And so because I said this in here, the president in there is gonna…? | 因为我在这里说出意见 在那边的总统会? |
[38:35] | You gotta tell me when that’s gonna happen. | 这情况发生之前 你是该先告诉我的 |
[38:38] | Is this how you guys decide to go to war? | 你们是这样决定要开战的吗? |
[38:40] | I don’t know, I’m not in the room when they do that. | 我不知道 他们那么做时我通常不在场 |
[38:43] | Could somebody get her a cupcake or something? | 麻烦谁去拿个杯子蛋糕给她 |
[39:18] | – Mr. President? – Yeah. | -总统先生? -是的 |
[39:19] | – Toby’s here. – Thanks. | -托比来了 -谢谢 |
[39:20] | – You can take off. We’re done. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -你可以下班了,没事了 -谢谢你,总统先生 |
[39:26] | Good evening, sir. | 晚安,长官 |
[39:29] | – Tony Marino’s gonna abstain, huh? – Yeah. | -汤尼马利诺会投弃权票? -对 |
[39:33] | He was a great public servant, Toby. A great senator. | 他是个很棒的公仆,托比 他是个优秀的参议员 |
[39:36] | Didn’t Edmund Burke say a representative owes his industry and judgment… | 艾德蒙博克不是说过 如果人民代表屈服于当政者的决定 |
[39:41] | …and betrays you if he sacrifices his judgment to yours? | 那么他便是亏欠了他的国家跟自己 也背叛了人民吗? |
[39:45] | Yeah. | 对 |
[39:47] | And then he was voted out of office by the people of Bristol. | 人民用选票否决了他 |
[39:50] | – That’s not the point, sir. – I know. | -那不是重点,长官 -我知道 |
[39:52] | The fact is, the opponents of the treaty, you gotta respect them, Toby. | 事实上你得尊重 反对条约的人,托比 |
[39:57] | They’re politicians flying in the face of overwhelming public opinion. | 他们是屈服于民意之下的政客 |
[40:00] | I have to respect senators for defying 82% of the American people? | 我得尊重违背 八成二美国人意愿的参议员? |
[40:04] | Can I tell you something honestly? | 你要听实话吗? |
[40:07] | This is one of those situations I could give a damn what the people think. | 在这个时候 我可以不管人民想什么 |
[40:11] | The complexities of a global arms treaty… | 复杂的全球武器条约 |
[40:14] | …the technological, military, the diplomatic nuance, it’s staggering, Toby. | 技术性,军队 外交手腕真的很复杂,托比 |
[40:20] | 82% of the people can’t possibly be expected to reach an informed opinion. | 我们不能期待八成二的人民 照我们的想法去做 |
[40:27] | – You want to call a session anyway? – No. | -你要召开会期吗? -不 |
[40:32] | No. If we lose, and we will… | 不,如果我们输了,我们会 |
[40:35] | – … we cut off… – Yeah. | -我们会很难看 -对 |
[40:40] | Anything else? | 还有事吗? |
[40:43] | No, sir. | 没有了,长官 |
[40:44] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[40:47] | You know, we forget sometimes. | 有时候我们忘记了 |
[40:50] | In all the talk about democracy, we forget it’s not one, it’s a republic. | 虽然我们满口民主 我们不是民主国家,是共和国 |
[40:55] | The people don’t make the decisions, they choose the people who do. | 人民不能做决定 他们选出做决定的人 |
[40:59] | Could they do a better job choosing? Yeah. | 他们能做出好选择吗? 对 |
[41:02] | But when you consider the alternatives…. | 但考虑到其他的选择 |
[41:04] | Anyway, Abbey’s in New Hampshire. | 总之,艾碧在新罕布夏州 |
[41:07] | You wanna come up for a cigar? | 你要过来抽根雪茄吗? |
[41:11] | The day’s over, Toby. We’ll live to fight another one. | 下班了,托比 我们得为明天的战斗做好准备 |
[41:15] | – Come on up, I’ll beat your ass at chess. – You baiting me? | -来吧,下棋我一定会赢你 -你是在用激将法吗? |
[41:18] | Yes. | 对 |
[41:23] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[41:24] | If anybody’s out there, I’m signing off. Have a good night. | 如果有人在的话,我要说再见了 晚安 |