时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:34] | THE WEST WING 7×05. HERE TODAY | |
[00:36] | Original air date: 10/23/2005 | |
[00:38] | You would not believe the day I’ve had. | 你不会相信今天发生的一切 |
[00:41] | I’d tell you about it if I could talk about it, | 如果我能的话,我会告诉你的 |
[00:42] | but a bunch of stuff happened today that I can’t talk about | 但是因为今天发生的一些事情让我无法告诉你 |
[00:45] | so I guess I should stop talking about it. | 所以我想我不应该说它 |
[00:49] | But the truth is I’m so strung out and wired on caffeine | 但是事实是我吸毒成瘾用咖啡因刺激自己 |
[00:51] | I can’t even tell what room I’m in. | 我甚至不知道我身处何处 |
[00:53] | – C.J. – Let’s open that bottle of champagne you gave me for my birthday. | 让我们把我过生日时你给我的那瓶香摈打开吧 |
[00:56] | Maybe the alcohol will balance out the caffeine. | 也许酒精能中和掉那些咖啡因 |
[00:59] | C.J., the leak… | C.J关于泄漏机密的事… |
[01:00] | Let’s have a toast. | 干杯 |
[01:02] | One final toast before I leave the White House for my perp walk in leg irons. | 在我戴着镣铐离开白宫去服刑前,咱们来最后一杯 |
[01:08] | Here, you open it. I’ll put your eye out. | 来,打开它吧 我会让你醉的不省人事 |
[01:10] | – C.J. – Fine, I’ll open it. | 好的,我打开它 |
[01:11] | But just, uh, listen to what I have to say. | 但是,恩,听好我不得不说的是 |
[01:15] | Leo’s in trouble. | Leo遇到麻烦了 |
[01:19] | I know. | 我知道 |
[01:20] | You do? | 你知道? |
[01:27] | I got a lawyer. | 我找到了个律师 |
[01:28] | What? | 什么 |
[01:33] | I got a lawyer. | 我找了个律师 |
[01:43] | I did it. | 我找了 |
[02:09] | Call the White House Counsel’s office, send someone over immediately. | 接白宫辩护律师办公室 让他们立刻派个人过来 |
[02:19] | I just didn’t want you to think… | 我只是不想让你去想… |
[02:21] | We really can’t have any further conversation without Counsel present. | 在没有律师出席前我们真的不能再有任何进一步的交谈了 |
[03:22] | Oh, excuse me. I was told to come right in. | 噢,打搅了.有人叫我过来 |
[03:24] | Mike, is it? | 是MIKE HOOD吗? |
[03:25] | Uh, sorry. Mike Wayne, Associate Counsel. | 噢,不好意思不是的 我是助理律师Mike Wayne |
[03:28] | Mr. Ziegler. | |
[03:31] | Toby, would you tell Mike what you just told me. | Toby,把你刚给我说告诉MIKE好吗? |
[03:39] | I was the one who leaked the information | 我就是走漏消息的人 |
[03:44] | about the classified military space shuttle | 把航天飞机的军事机密 |
[03:49] | to Greg Brock of the New York Times. | 透露给了纽约时报的Greg Brock |
[03:54] | Where is Oliver Babish? | Oliver Babish在哪? |
[03:57] | Out to dinner. | 应该在吃晚饭 |
[04:00] | I’ll need the key to your office. | 我需要你办公室的钥匙 |
[04:07] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪? |
[04:08] | The key’s on my desk. | 钥匙在我桌上 |
[04:09] | I’ll have to ask you to accompany me directly to the Roosevelt Room. | 我不得不现在让你直接和我去罗斯福房 |
[04:13] | You’ll need to wait there quietly | 你需要在那静静等着 |
[04:14] | while I retrieve your key, lock your office, and post a uniformed Secret Service agent at the door. | 直到我拿到钥匙锁上你办公室 然后找特工驻守你的门前 |
[04:21] | That needs to happen right now. | 这些现在就必须做 |
[05:28] | We’re going to need the room. | 我们需要这个房间 |
[05:30] | There was nothing on the schedule. | 可时间表上并没有安排。 |
[05:32] | Yeah. | 确实没有安排 |
[05:33] | We’re going to be needing the room. | 但我们必须要这个房间 |
[05:36] | Sure. Absolutely. | 是,当然可以 |
[05:50] | I’ll be back as quickly as I can. | 我会尽快回来 |
[05:52] | I’ll have to ask you not to speak to anyone, about anything, in my absence. | 我不得不告诉你,在我回来之前 你不许同任何人说话 |
[05:58] | Every conversation you have from this point forward only increases the witness list. | 从现在开始你所说的每一句话都会做为成堂证供 |
[06:10] | Watch a movie. | 看个电影吧 |
[06:11] | We land in 40 minutes. | 我们40分钟后就要着陆了 |
[06:12] | Watch part of a movie. | 只看一部分就行 |
[06:13] | I have to eat my vegetables. | 我要吃点蔬菜 |
[06:15] | It’s something we can do together. | 这是我们能一起做的事情 |
[06:18] | Our own machines, our own headphones; how are we doing it together? | 不同的机器,不同的内容;我们怎么一起来 |
[06:21] | It’ll be a shared experience. | 那会是一种共享的经历 |
[06:22] | You remember those? | 你还记得那些? |
[06:24] | I have to scan the stump speech for racial code words. | 可我得浏览政治演讲稿中潜在的种族语言 |
[06:28] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[06:28] | Yeah. This black professor’s saying the section | |
[06:30] | on immigrants “who do work Americans won’t do” is code for “the black underclass is lazy.” | 谁会做美国人不做的工作 潜台词是”黑人下层阶级很懒” |
[06:34] | – He’s got a point. – No, he doesn’t. | 他说对了 不,不是 |
[06:35] | You’re not going to solve interracial sensitivity in the next 40 minutes. | 接下来的40分钟里你能不能 不要再解决种族间的敏感问题了 |
[06:38] | Honey, I have to do this. | 亲爱的,我必须这么做 |
[06:40] | All work and no play. | 没有尽头的工作 |
[06:41] | Are you calling me a dull boy? | 你是不是想说我是无趣小子? |
[06:43] | I’m sorry, were you saying something? | 很抱歉,刚才你说什么来着? |
[06:44] | Just try not doing that in front of the electorate. | 在选民面前可别尝试这样做 |
[06:46] | Come on, the headphone thing should be a plus. You hate in when I get loud. | 来吧,戴上耳机,我知道你不喜欢我很大声 |
[06:49] | You’re just going to get louder. | 可你的声音已经越来越大了 |
[06:51] | You’re not going to fool me. | 你骗不了我 |
[06:53] | I thought you liked it when I got loud. | 我以为我大声时你会喜欢 |
[06:56] | In this, as in all things, context is king. | 在这件事上,和其他的事情别无二致 沟通是最好的办法 |
[06:59] | Fine. | 好的 |
[07:02] | Try not doing that in front of the voters either. | 在投票者面前也别试着那么做 |
[07:08] | Charles. | |
[07:09] | Commander. | 长官 |
[07:10] | You’re a hard man to find. | 你可真难找啊! |
[07:11] | You can’t be too careful. | 你可太认真了 |
[07:13] | You can, actually. | 事实上那是你 |
[07:14] | Whom will I be addressing in the Situation Room? | 到底谁将会在调查室对我进行盘问 |
[07:16] | That would be no one. You’re not going in the Sit Room. | 没人会那样,你也不会进调查室 |
[07:18] | You’re going to tell me what you have to say, then I’m going in. | 你得告诉我你必须要说的内容 然后我将进去 |
[07:20] | But first, you can’t stalk the White House Chief of Staff. | 但是首先,你不能以白宫参谋长为借口 |
[07:23] | She wouldn’t return my calls. | 她不会回我电话的 |
[07:24] | She’s a little busy helping to run the free world. | 她在忙于运转自由世界 |
[07:26] | I doubt she calls her mother back. | 我想她是在给她妈打电话 |
[07:28] | Her mother is dead and her father’s Alzheimer’s so bad, | 她妈已经死了且他爸也病重 |
[07:30] | you’d have no idea whether she called or not. | 不管她有没有给你电话你还是毫无办法 |
[07:32] | Do you try to come off this creepy? | 你是不是想离开? |
[07:33] | ‘Cause, I’ve got to tell you, as a strategy for getting people to take you seriously, | 我想告诉你的是,让人们重视你是一种策略 |
[07:36] | it leaves a bit to be desired. | 留下点遗憾美吧.. |
[07:39] | Do you have any idea how thoroughly I could get you bounced over this? | 你有什么办法让我彻底的把你从中解救出来吗 |
[07:42] | I was right, wasn’t I? | 我是对的,不是吗? |
[07:43] | “Thank you, Commander Harper, for letting me keep my job, | 谢谢,Harper指挥官,你让我还有工作 |
[07:45] | which means everything to me, as you can tell by the way I dress.” | 这对我来说意味着一切 如同你能顺便指导一下我该如何穿着一样重要 |
[07:48] | I was right. | 我是对的。 |
[07:49] | Before we discuss how right you are, were, or have ever been, | 在我们讨论你是否是对的 或者曾经正确过前 |
[07:52] | I need a solemn vow you will never ambush a senior White House official again. | 我需要你立一个不会再次伏击白宫高级官员的严肃誓言 |
[07:57] | I’m waiting. | 我正等着呢 |
[07:59] | Fine. | 好,我发誓 |
[07:59] | Thank you. Now, let’s discuss this assassination in Kazakhstan. | 谢谢,现在我们来讨论下在哈萨克斯坦的暗杀事件 |
[08:04] | I reached Oliver Babish. | 我见到了Oliver Babish |
[08:06] | He says you owe him a raspberry panna cotta cheesecake. | 他说你欠他一份panna cotta 酪饼 |
[08:09] | He’ll live. | 他还活着 |
[08:10] | Longer, probably. | 可能还会更长 |
[08:12] | It’s morning in Jerusalem. | 在耶路撒冷的早晨 |
[08:15] | You wanted to call about the Farad funeral. | 你想举行Farad的葬礼 |
[08:18] | Right, right. | 对,对 |
[08:23] | So, you want me to… | 那么,你想让我… |
[08:26] | Yeah, let’s do that. | 对,我们去做吧 |
[08:33] | I didn’t want to. I tried not to say anything. | 我不想这么做,我曾设法什么也不说 |
[08:36] | I’m sorry? | 什么? |
[08:38] | The Committee. | 委员会 |
[08:39] | I hope my testimony didn’t do anything to make things more difficult for you. | 我希望我的证词不会带给你更大的麻烦 |
[08:42] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心这个 |
[08:43] | If I caused you any problems… | 如果我给你惹来什么麻烦… |
[08:44] | I’m sure you didn’t. | 我肯定你没有 |
[08:51] | I’ll place that call. | 我去接电话了 |
[09:00] | Toby, you got a minute? | Toby,有时间吗? |
[09:01] | No. | 没有 |
[09:03] | We just wanted to get your take on these OMB numbers. | 我们要把你交给OMB的人 |
[09:05] | Go away. | 走开 |
[09:07] | – Ok. Alright, we’ll leave them on your… – Go! | – 好,我把它们放在… – 滚 |
[09:13] | What’s wrong with the word vigorous? | 这些有力的言辞怎么了? |
[09:14] | It sounds like we’re taking a shot at Bartlet. | 听着像我们针对Bartlet一样 |
[09:16] | We’re not running against Bartlet, we’re running against a Methuselah Republican. | 我们不是反对Bartlet,我们是反对玛士撒拉共和国 |
[09:19] | Vigorous isn’t the opposite of old, it’s the opposite of vigor-less… ness. | |
[09:24] | It’s going to come off like we’re referencing the MS. | 它是要走了,象我们参考微软一样 |
[09:26] | That’s a win-win in my book. | 在我的字典里那是双赢 |
[09:27] | Look, Arnold Vinick isn’t some old feeb, doddering from one campaign stop to the next. | 听着,Arnold Vinick不是老笨蛋,蹒跚的从一场战役中停下去向下一场 |
[09:32] | He’s got more energy than I do. | 他比我更有精力 |
[09:34] | He is inconveniently spry. | 他没那么敏捷 |
[09:38] | – Use that. – What? | – 你用的什么词? – 哪个 |
[09:39] | Spry. | |
[09:41] | It’s a word that’s only used to describe old people. | 那是一个只能用来形容老人的词 |
[09:44] | Ever hear of anybody under the age of 70 being called spry? | 你听过有哪个70岁以下的老人被形容为生机勃勃 |
[09:48] | It says “old guy versus young guy” without even mentioning age. | 我是说老年人相对于年轻人,我没有提及年龄 |
[09:50] | We just got the new tracking numbers. Nine and holding. | 我们刚得到的最新的跟踪数字. 9成把握 |
[09:53] | Couple weeks ago you were doing cartwheels about being only nine down. | 几星期以前你做车夫的时候还只有九成的把握 |
[09:56] | Well, that was a couple weeks ago. | 不错,但那是几星期以前的事了 |
[09:58] | With the margin of error it could really be just six. | 考虑到误差范围,其实只有6成 |
[10:00] | When the polls spit out the same numbers, day in and day out, | 什么时候票数才能真正和你统计的数字一样多 每次都出现偏差 |
[10:03] | it’s time to stop talking margins of error. | 是时候不要再讨论误差范围了 |
[10:06] | Nine points is nine points. | 9成就是9成 |
[10:08] | That’s what I thought then, but you were all so happy. | 那就是我所想的,但是你们应该高兴些 |
[10:10] | So, basically, you’ve been wrong about this twice now. | 是的,事实上,你现在已经错了两次 |
[10:44] | Alana. | |
[10:46] | Toby Ziegler. | |
[10:49] | As my attorney, you should probably know that | 作为我的律师,你大概应该知道 |
[10:51] | I just confessed to C.J. Cregg that I was behind the leak. | 我刚刚向C.J. Cregg 承认我是透漏事件的幕后主角 |
[11:00] | I’m about to be debriefed by White House Counsel. | 我马上要去被白宫辩护律师团审问 |
[11:02] | You left him in a room with a phone? | 你让他一个人在这里打电话? |
[11:04] | I’ll talk to you tomorrow. | 明天我再打给你 |
[11:08] | Toby. | |
[11:09] | Oliver. | |
[11:11] | Who were you talking to? | 你刚给谁打电话 |
[11:12] | My attorney’s voice mail. | 我律师的语音信箱 |
[11:14] | My instructions were that you sit quietly. | 我的命令是让你一个人静静的坐着来着 |
[11:16] | I’m pretty sure I used my indoor voice. | 没错,我用的腹腔发音,很安静 |
[11:18] | Who else have you called or spoken to since Mike’s been gone? | MIKE不在的时候你还给谁打电话 或是交谈了 |
[11:20] | No one. | 没人 |
[11:21] | Ed and Larry. | 除了Ed and Larry. |
[11:22] | Who? | 谁? |
[11:23] | They stuck their heads in, wanted to run something by me, I told them to go away. | 他们探头进来问关于我的事,我让他们滚开 |
[11:26] | Did you discuss the leak or the investigation in any way? | 你是不是在以某种方式谈论透漏或调查的事情 |
[11:29] | We didn’t discuss anything. I was curt and dismissive, as instructed. | 我们什么也没谈论 我不名一文且微不足道,正如被你命令一样 |
[11:32] | Yeah, I’m going to need their full names and extensions. | 好了,我要知道他们的全名和其他情况 |
[11:35] | They were here maybe ten seconds. | 他们也许十秒钟内就会回来 |
[11:37] | Mike’s going to need to speak with them. | MIKE需要和他们交谈 |
[11:54] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[12:08] | You’re in some trouble. | 你遇到了些麻烦 |
[12:10] | Um… | 恩…. |
[12:11] | and I’m personally truly sorry about that. | 我个人深表歉意 |
[12:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:14] | Unfortunately, that is of incidental concern in my capacity as White House Counsel. | 不幸的是,那涉及到我作为白宫辩护律师的能力问题 |
[12:19] | You’ve put this administration into some difficulty. | 你使我们这些白宫律师处境尴尬 |
[12:22] | So my immediate professional concern is whether you put the President into jeopardy as well. | 所以我马上职业地关注你是否也将总统置于危险之中 |
[12:28] | So I’m gonna have some questions for you. | 所以我要问你些问题 |
[12:31] | Get comfortable. | 随便些 |
[12:34] | We’re going to be here a bit. | 我们一点点开始吧 |
[12:41] | Were you the sole individual involved in leaking this? | 这次泄漏事件只涉及到你一个人吗? |
[12:44] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:46] | Did anyone instruct you to leak this information? | 是不是有人指示你泄漏的这些消息? |
[12:50] | No. | 没有 |
[12:52] | Anyone suggest you leak it? | 没人建议你这么做? |
[12:53] | No. | 没有 |
[12:55] | Hint? | 暗示? |
[12:55] | No. | 没有 |
[12:56] | Nudge, wink? | 也没有小动作暗示或是使眼色? |
[13:00] | Did anyone employ nonverbal means of any kind to suggest in an explicit or implicit fashion | 有没有人不动声色地 以直接的或是含蓄的方式建议你 |
[13:05] | that you leak this information? | 使你走漏这消息? |
[13:08] | No. It was conceived and executed solely on my own. | 没有,这是我一手策划并执行的 |
[13:13] | Did you tell anyone you were planning on leaking this? | 你有没有告诉别人你打算走漏这消息? |
[13:15] | No. | 没有 |
[13:16] | Discuss that you were considering doing so? | 或是与人讨论你考虑这么做 |
[13:18] | No. | 没有 |
[13:22] | Did you speculate to anyone that an individual might be inclined to contemplate making such a leak? | |
[13:34] | – We’re going to be here for quite a while, aren’t we? – I need you to answer the question. | – 我们在这坐了很久了吧? – 我要你回答问题 |
[13:37] | No. I didn’t speak to anyone at anytime of any scenario involving myself or someone else | 不,我没有在任何时间同任何人谈论过某个包括我或者其他人的假想情节 |
[13:43] | thinking, planning, dreaming, or having an out-of-body experience | 想法,计划,梦想,或是不曾经历的事情 |
[13:46] | related to the making of this sort of leak. | 关系到制造这次泄密事件 |
[13:49] | That’s cute, the out-of-body thing, | 有趣的回答, 不曾经历的事情 |
[13:52] | but I don’t recommend it with the FBI, the Congressional Committee, | 但我不会把它告诉给FBI,国会委员会 |
[13:56] | the Federal Prosecutor, or any of the people who’ll be following me. | 联邦检举人,任何尾随我的人 |
[14:02] | That was lovely. | 这真是有趣 |
[14:03] | Hmm. | 恩 |
[14:04] | I have to call Zahavy. | 我得去叫Zahavy |
[14:06] | I don’t blame him for not wanting to go to Farad’s funeral. | 我不会因为他不想参加Farad的葬礼而责备他的 |
[14:08] | I wish you didn’t have to go. | 我希望你不要去 |
[14:10] | Isn’t that what Vice Presidents are for? | 那是副总统想要的吗? |
[14:11] | No. | 不 |
[14:12] | Then what good are they? | 那到底是什么东西 |
[14:14] | The two I’ve had, and enduring mystery. | 两个我已经拥有的东西,这将是永久的秘密 |
[14:16] | God, I’m exhausted. | 天哪,我筋疲力尽了。 |
[14:18] | You haven’t forgotten that Ellie and Vic are coming by? | Ellie 和 Vic要过来你没忘吧? |
[14:20] | No. Our daughter’s getting engaged to the fruit fly guy. | 没有,我们的女儿正忙着和那个果蝇男约会呢 |
[14:23] | He’s a research scientist. | 他是个搞研究的科学家 |
[14:25] | Stop making him look like something out of a horror film. | 别把他和那个恐怖的电影联系到一起(注:电影<苍蝇>中的科学家因为事故他的头最后变成了苍蝇头 ^_^) |
[14:28] | Did you know that fruit flies reproduce at a prodigious rate? | 你知道果蝇有很强的繁殖率吗? |
[14:31] | Well, you’ve been whining about more grandchildren. | 好了,你都开始为孙子满门而发牢骚了 |
[14:33] | I meant that they’re more than just unusually enthusiastic. | 我的意思是他们比异乎寻常的热情更加投入 |
[14:36] | All right. | 是的 |
[14:37] | In fact, they make bunnies look like dysfunctional prudes. | 事实上,他们做的小白兔就像有性障碍的正经女人 |
[14:41] | That’s our daughter you’re talking about. | 你正在谈论你自己的女儿 |
[14:42] | Indeed. | 确实是 |
[14:44] | Yeah, how about that? | 恩,那个怎么样? |
[14:48] | Are you…? | 你是… |
[14:49] | A little, how about you? | 一点点拉,你呢? |
[14:50] | Astonished, actually. | 事实上很惊讶 |
[14:51] | Why? Did you and she never discuss…? | 为什么?你和她从没讨论…? |
[14:53] | Oh, no. There are some things that are outside even the mother-daughter bond, at least for us. | 哦,没有。总会有一些事情即使母女关系也不能共同分享的 至少我们两是 |
[14:56] | Did you and she…? | 那么你和她… |
[14:58] | We always adhered to a strict “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy; | 我和她总是严格遵循”不问,也不说”的方针 |
[15:01] | clung to it, actually. | 事实上非常严格 |
[15:02] | She is one’s daughter. | 她是某人的女儿 |
[15:03] | And she wants her to be happy in whatever. | 她要她无奈如何都感到快乐 |
[15:05] | Of course, true to herself. | 当然,对她自己而言也是如此 |
[15:06] | There’s nothing wrong with that inclination. | 那种倾向虽然没什么错 |
[15:08] | Nothing, whatsoever. | 一点也没有,无论怎么看 |
[15:09] | But God Herself strike me dead, it is not to be denied that | 但是上帝让我死,那是不能拒绝的 |
[15:12] | I am not unhappy that my daughter is straight after all. | 我没有为此而不高兴, 毕竟我们的女儿是正直的 |
[15:16] | At least straight enough to be marrying the fruit fly guy. | 至少正直的去嫁给一个果蝇男 |
[15:21] | Someone in the Texas AG’s office has obtained the complete medical records of 120 women | 德克萨斯股份有限公司的某个人搞到了120位曾在那三所诊所中 |
[15:25] | who had abortions in three of the clinics there. | 堕过胎的女性的完整的病史档案 |
[15:27] | Please tell me one’s not in Houston. | 请告诉我不在休斯顿 |
[15:29] | And in San Antonio. | 和圣安东尼奥的人 |
[15:30] | The pretext is looking for unreported cases of sexual abuse and statutory rape. | 借口是寻找性虐待和强奸罪的未报告案例 |
[15:33] | But it’s an obvious smokescreen. | 但那明显是一个掩饰 |
[15:35] | We fooled with some language. | 我们在玩文字游戏 |
[15:36] | – We’re not commenting. – We have to. | – 我们不要评论 – 我们必须这么做 |
[15:37] | This is a state matter. | 这是一个洲的问题 |
[15:38] | From the Congressman’s home state. | 国会议员的家乡 |
[15:40] | I’m familiar with the bio, thanks. | 我对那些熟悉那些,谢谢 |
[15:41] | – It violates the spirit of Roe. – How important is Texas? | – 这样做冒犯了Roe的精神 德克萨斯有多重要? |
[15:43] | – Pretty important. – No, not pretty important. | – 非常重要 – 不,不是很重要 |
[15:45] | With Vinick’s lock on California, this is the whole b.o.w. | 因为Vinick锁定了 California,这是输赢的关键 |
[15:49] | Ball of wax. | 全部的细节 |
[15:50] | Why wade into an issue that’s not going to get us any voters | 为什么把精力投入到不能给我们带来选票的事情中 |
[15:52] | who weren’t going to vote for us already? | 谁已经不准备投标给我们了? |
[15:53] | Because all it costs us is people who weren’t going to vote for us anyway. | 因为所有的钱都花费在那些无论怎样也不准备投票给我们的人身上 |
[15:55] | We don’t need those people to vote for us. We need them to stay home. | 我们不需要那些人给我们投票。我们需要他们待在家里 |
[15:58] | Single-issue pro-lifers don’t like Vinick anymore than they like us; | 独生子女和无期徒刑犯比对我们还讨厌Vinick |
[16:00] | why energize them? | 为什么给他们施压? |
[16:02] | Let’s let this particular sleeping dog lie. | 我们得让他们撒谎 |
[16:03] | That’s crazy. We’re Democrats; | 那样做实在太疯狂了 我们是民主党人 |
[16:04] | we have to come out strong on a woman’s right to choose. | 我们必须加强女性选举的权利 |
[16:06] | Have you ever had an abortion? | 你曾经堕胎过吗? |
[16:07] | That’s a little personal, don’t you think? | 那个问题太私人化了,你觉得呢? |
[16:10] | Don’t talk to me about what we have to do on this subject. | 不要对我说在这件事上我们应该怎么做 |
[16:14] | Whatever you say. | 随便你怎么说 |
[16:17] | I was thinking while you were asleep. | 你睡觉的时候我一直在思考 |
[16:19] | I wasn’t asleep. | 我根本就没睡着 |
[16:20] | Oh, really? | 哦,真的吗? |
[16:20] | With the drooling, the twitching, and muttering to yourself, | 你流着口水,颤搐,自言自语 |
[16:23] | which might otherwise be described as schizophrenic episode, | 不是睡着的话这可能以别的方式被形容为精神分裂 |
[16:25] | I go with “You were sleeping.” | 我会和你一起这样“入睡” |
[16:27] | Okay. | 好的 |
[16:28] | The campaign’s stagnating because the poll numbers are. | 因为得票数不够竞选活动正在走向失败 |
[16:30] | Doldrums, horse latitude; it’s still mid-August. | 赤道无风,北大西洋无风 现在仍旧还是是八月中旬 |
[16:33] | Wind’ll pick up. | 风就快要加强了 |
[16:34] | You and I need to be a stiff wind that blows through the staff and carries a bunch away. | 我们俩必须象阵飓风一样将这些人彻底吹走 |
[16:38] | Way to stick with the meteorological metaphor. | 一个需要坚持收看天气预报的方法 |
[16:41] | Still, it’s a little hysterical. | 这仍然有点歇斯底里 |
[16:43] | This group isn’t cutting it. | 这一组还没算在内 |
[16:45] | We’re fine. | 我们还好 |
[16:46] | Last week the Advance team went to Springfield, Illinois | 上周先行组进入了伊利诺斯州的春田 |
[16:48] | for an event in Springfield, Missouri. | 为了尽早获得密苏里的春田的情况 |
[16:50] | Every campaign has a few bumps. | 每场竞选都会遇到些困难 |
[16:51] | We need more experienced hands. | 我们需要更多有经验的人帮忙 |
[16:53] | Look around you; we’re a little heavy on the wide-eyed and dewy. | 看看你周围的人, 都是些天真纯洁的孩子,这让我们步履维艰 |
[16:55] | We’ve got a young staff. | 我们拥有的都是年轻成员 |
[16:57] | Guess what: we’re Democrats. | 猜猜为什么: 因为我们是民主党 |
[16:59] | Well, Vinick’s got grownups. We’re running a children’s crusade. | 得了,Vinick拥有一个经验丰富的团队 而我们正投入一场儿童改革运动 |
[17:01] | It got a virtual unknown the Democratic presidential nomination. | 实际上民主党能否被任命总统还都是未知数 |
[17:05] | Well, now it’s got him consistently tracking nine points down which is, I believe, | 是啊,现在他一贯跟踪九成以下的数据,我认为 |
[17:08] | a loss and not a small one. | 这样会造成不小的损失 |
[17:09] | We start firing people, it’s going to look like the campaign’s in trouble. | 如果我们这时开始炒别人鱿鱼 就好像我们在竞选中遇到了麻烦 |
[17:12] | The campaign is in trouble; it’ll look like we noticed. | 竞选已经遇到了麻烦,只是我们还假装没看到 |
[17:14] | First pass of the staff list. | 先确定一下这张成员名单吧 |
[17:16] | That’s a lot of names. | 人员不少啊 |
[17:17] | Anyone you want to fight for? | 有你愿意并肩作战的人吗 |
[17:20] | Ned. | |
[17:21] | He’s not built for this. | 他不是我们这边的 |
[17:22] | He’s been with the Congressman forever. Santos will never let me can him. | 他永远站在国会议员一边,Santos决不会让我打他主意 |
[17:26] | That’s why he’s got to go: | 这就是他为什么必须要走的原因 |
[17:27] | it’ll kill morale if you fire all these people and keep him. | 如果你把那些人都炒了而仅仅留下他的话 会很影响士气的 |
[17:29] | So we don’t fire anyone. | 所以我们谁也不炒 |
[17:30] | Keep whistling past the graveyard, | 很乐观阿,即使穿过墓地也能吹着愉快的口哨 |
[17:32] | but it’ll be your future gets buried when you preside over a 49-state wipeout. | 但当你失利49次后你就会明白 这会葬送你的未来 |
[17:38] | Can’t leave before the boss leaves. You? | 在头走之前你不能走吗? |
[17:40] | Time and assassinations wait for no one. | 时间和暗杀可是不等人的 |
[17:42] | Pithy. | 说的好 |
[17:42] | I’m thinking about putting out a line of twisted samplers. | 我正在试图使复杂的情况简单化 |
[17:44] | When’s your turn? | 什么时候才到你? |
[17:45] | With the committee? | 和委员会一起的吗? |
[17:46] | Supposedly Friday, but if they took all day with you… | 应该是星期五,但是如果他们整天都和你在一起… |
[17:48] | I’m really looking forward to things getting back to normal around here. | 我真的非常期待这里的一切回归正常 |
[18:01] | Did you have any private conversations with the President | 你是不是和总统私下交谈过 |
[18:03] | regarding the existence of a military shuttle? | 关于军用航天飞机实物? |
[18:05] | No. | 没有 |
[18:07] | Participate in any group discussions on that subject that included the President? | 有没有和总统一起参加某些组织的 有关军用航天飞机讨论? |
[18:11] | No. | 没有 |
[18:11] | Did you have any internal White House conversations with anyone at any time | 那你是否曾经和白宫内部的人有过涉及 |
[18:15] | about the United States possessing a classified military space shuttle? | 美国研制军事航天飞机进展情况这种机密的交谈? |
[18:27] | Yes. | 有 |
[18:31] | With whom? | 和谁? |
[18:38] | Who did you talk about it with? | 你同谁谈起过? |
[18:41] | C.J. Cregg. | |
[18:45] | Frost thinks… | Frost认为… |
[18:46] | Yeah. I know what Frost thinks; about everything. | 得了,我知道Frost所有的想法 |
[18:48] | If it rains on a picnic, Frost thinks Al Queda seeded the clouds. | 如果正在野餐的时候下雨了 Frost会想那一定是人工智能制造的乌云 |
[18:51] | Why do you keep him in the job? | 那为什么你还让他插手? |
[18:52] | He’s a good analyst. | 他是个好的分析家 |
[18:53] | Good analysts spend a lot of time being wrong. | 好的分析家大多时候都是错的 |
[18:55] | Funny, at Defense Intelligence we like our guys to be right. Different strokes. | 真是可笑,在防御智能方面我们希望我们的人是对的. 另一种形式的进攻 |
[18:58] | Are there Islamic extremists who dream of a new China-to-Spain caliphate? Sure. | 那些伊斯兰极端主义者梦想从中国到西班牙都是他们的领地? 是的 |
[19:01] | Do we think they’re going to start by assassinating the Palestinian Chairman | 我们是不是认为他们会首先从暗杀巴勒斯坦总统 |
[19:04] | and the president of Kazakhstan? I mean, come on. | 和哈撒克总统开始? 我得观点是,那就快点开始吧。 |
[19:19] | Margaret, will you call Leo for me? | Margaret,能帮我叫一下Leo吗? |
[19:24] | When you spoke to Greg Brock of the New York Times, | 当你告诉纽约时代的Greg Brock的时候 |
[19:26] | you were aware you were speaking on the record? | 你知道你们的谈话被录下来了吗? |
[19:28] | I’m the White House Communications Director. | 我是白宫通信主管 |
[19:29] | I have a rough understanding of the protocol involved when speaking with journalists. | 对于和记者谈话时的有关协议我有粗略的了解 |
[19:33] | So that’d be a yes? | 那就是喽? |
[19:34] | That would be an of course. | 当然是。 |
[19:35] | And your intention in conveying this information to Greg Brock | 你把这个消息透露给Greg Brock的意图是 |
[19:38] | was for it to be published in his newspaper? | 为了在他的报纸上公诸于众? |
[19:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:40] | You were aware this information was classified? | 你难道不知道这个信息是机密? |
[19:42] | Excuse me? | 什么? |
[19:44] | Answer the question. | 回答问题 |
[19:46] | You’re asking me if I knew the military space shuttle was classified; | 你在问我是不是知道 军用航天飞机的事属于机密? |
[19:52] | one of the most closely held pieces of information I’ve experienced | 这是我在白宫的7年半的时间里 |
[19:54] | in my seven and a half years in the White House, | 经历过的最接近机密的消息 |
[19:57] | which no one would so much as hint at, much less acknowledge, | 没有哪条消息比它更引起人注意 能换取比它更高的报酬 |
[20:00] | much less ever actually discuss, | 能比它更能引起人们讨论的兴趣 |
[20:03] | which revelation of same caused a governmental security crisis, | 能比它被披露后导致政府安全危机 |
[20:06] | international consternation and the launching of three separate investigations; | 国际恐慌和启动三项隔离调查更严重的后果 |
[20:10] | you’re asking me if I realized it was classified? | 而你现在居然还在问我是否知道那属于机密? |
[20:14] | Yeah, I had a vague inkling. | 是的,我大概知道一点 |
[20:16] | Were you personally authorized to have this information? | 你有没有被授权掌握这个机密? |
[20:19] | Alana Waterman, Mr. Babish. | Alana Waterman还有Babish先生 |
[20:21] | I’m Mr. Ziegler’s attorney, | 我是Ziegler的律师 |
[20:22] | and as such I must inform Counsel that my client will not be answering any further questions. | |
[20:26] | It’s okay, thanks. | 很好,谢谢 |
[20:27] | No, it’s most certainly not okay and you’re not to say anything else. | 不,很显然还不好,你什么也别再说了 |
[20:30] | You know, I’m really getting fed up to here with lawyers ordering me around. | 你知道吗,我确实开始讨厌律师在一旁对我指手画脚 |
[20:33] | You probably should have considered that before passing state secrets to New York Times reporters. | 在把国家机密泄露给纽约时代的记者之前 你或许应该考虑一下 |
[20:37] | Which brings up, did you leak to anyone other than Greg Brock? | 现在产生的后果, 除了Greg Brock你还给别人透漏过吗? |
[20:39] | Do not answer that. | 别回答这个问题 |
[20:40] | No. | 没有 |
[20:41] | If I may have a word in private with my client. | 我能和我的委托人私下说点事吗? |
[20:46] | I’ll be right outside. | 那我在门外等着 |
[20:54] | I really appreciate your concern | 我真的很感激你的关怀 |
[20:57] | but I am taking full responsibility | 但是我应该负全责 |
[20:58] | and I am prepared and ready to face the consequences. | 我已经做好了面对任何结果的准备 |
[21:01] | Well that’s very noble and very stupid. | 精神可嘉,但却莽撞愚蠢 |
[21:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:04] | You have to listen to me now. | 你现在得听我说 |
[21:05] | If you were truly the only one involved… | 如果你真的是唯一涉及到… |
[21:07] | – I was. – Well, then that’s unfortunate | – 我是 – 哦,那太不幸了 |
[21:09] | because it means that you have no bigger fish to turn over to the prosecutor | 因为那意味着你没有足够的证据去推翻你的检举人 |
[21:12] | which is what he and the Congress will be looking for | 而那正是他和国会所期待的 |
[21:15] | and obviously would have been the best and fastest way to make a deal. | 并且很显然是最快也是最好的解决方案 |
[21:17] | I don’t care about that. | 我无所谓 |
[21:18] | Well, it’s my job to. | 嘿,但这也是我的工作 |
[21:20] | And we’re not starting with a lot of bargaining chips | 在没有更多商讨的筹码前 我们是不会开始 |
[21:22] | and we have less every time you open your mouth. | 你每开一次口我们就少一点筹码 |
[21:25] | – I’m not looking to cut a deal. – Oh, really? | – 我并不指望能做笔好买卖 – 哦,是吗? |
[21:27] | Because the last time I checked, the sentencing guidelines, | 因为我根据我上次对判决条列的核实 |
[21:29] | even for someone who is a first-time offender, were 63 to 78 months jail time. | 就算是第一次犯罪的犯人也会因为这个罪名 被判处63到78个月的监禁 |
[21:35] | 63 to 78. | 63-78个月 |
[21:36] | How do they come up with those numbers; pick out of a hat, dartboard? | 他们怎么得出这个数字的 抓阄还是掷飞镖? |
[21:38] | – You have an obligation to… – Please don’t bring up my kids! | – 你的责任是… – 请别提我的孩子 |
[21:41] | When you hire somebody like me you take on a responsibility to my reputation. | 当你雇佣一个象我一样的律师时 你得对我的声誉承担责任 |
[21:45] | If you decide you want to go down in some quasi-orgasmic blaze of self-pity | 如果你要在如此类似性高潮般激动的自责、 |
[21:51] | and self-destructive self-aggrandizing attempted glory, | 自我否定和自夸想象的荣耀中堕落下去的话 |
[21:55] | all anyone’s going to say is | 任何人都会说 |
[21:56] | “How did Alana Waterman, that smart, tough, savvy Washington infighter, | “像Alana Waterman一个那么聪明, 坚强,机智的华盛顿高级律师 |
[22:01] | let her client do something so crushingly, boneheaded moronic | 怎么会让她的委托人如此处理决定性的事件 |
[22:05] | as to get himself six years in jail?”! | 愚蠢低能地导致他被判了6年监禁” |
[22:10] | Now, you have a decision to make. | 现在,你得做一个决定 |
[22:13] | If you want me to continue as your attorney, when the White House Counsel reenters the room, | |
[22:17] | you either decline to answer any further questions or you watch me walk not only out of this room, | 你要么闭口拒绝回答任何问题, 要么你在任何场合都按照我的指示去做 |
[22:22] | but off the case. | 直到解决了这个官司。 |
[22:37] | Who was it that first informed you of the existence of a classified military space shuttle? | 是谁第一个告诉你军用机密航天飞机存在的消息 |
[22:58] | I decline to answer on the advice of counsel. | 根据我律师的忠告,我拒绝回答 |
[23:03] | Please wait here. | 请你在这等一下 |
[23:16] | Well, you certainly earned your fee today. | 今天没白掏钱给你 |
[23:19] | I’m deeply gratified that you decided to heed my guidance. | 你听取我的指导让我非常满意 |
[23:23] | No, I just meant it was the first time tonight he used the word “please.” | 不,我是说你令他今晚第一次用了“请”这个字 |
[23:37] | If you gentlemen are done for the night you should probably go home. | 如果你的人今晚搞定了你就可以回家了 |
[23:44] | C.J. | |
[23:45] | Catch me up. | 我们继续 |
[23:46] | Commander Harper has been entertaining us – | Harper指挥官戏弄了我们 |
[23:48] | well, given the hour, I’m not sure “entertaining” is the right word – | 噢,我认为以他的理论来看这次哈撒克的暗杀事件 |
[23:51] | with her theory on this assassination in Kazakhstan. | 戏弄这个词可能用的不当 |
[23:53] | Mr. Secretary, through no fault of your own, your customary default acerbity, | 部长先生,根据你从不犯错这点,你那卑鄙的 |
[23:56] | which some might characterize as snide but which I never fail to find delightful, | 但从未让我感到难过的一向刻薄尖酸的语调 |
[23:59] | is, perhaps, not the right tone for my particular mood this particular evening. | 在这个我有着特殊心情的特殊的夜晚 也许并不是合适的语调。 |
[24:03] | Now would you catch me up? | 现在懂我的意思了吗? |
[24:05] | Assassination’s been a historic tactic of Russian security services. | 暗杀是俄国安全服务的一项惯用策略 |
[24:08] | I feel there is reason to look in their direction. | 我觉得有必要从这个角度去考虑问题 |
[24:10] | The Russians and Kazakhs are allies. | 俄罗斯和哈撒克是盟国 |
[24:12] | Kazakhstan has been cozying up to Beijing. | 哈撒克斯坦又奉承北京 |
[24:13] | They recently announced the establishment of a strategic partnership. | 他们最近还宣布制定了一项战略合作协议 |
[24:17] | This is on top of the oil pipeline the Kazakhs have already agreed to build to China. | 这是基于哈撒克同意向中国建造输油管才达成的 |
[24:20] | When they announced this alliance, | 当他们宣布结盟时 |
[24:21] | they took pains to stress that it wasn’t directed at any third party. | 他们没有把痛苦转变的压力指向任何一个第三个党派。 |
[24:24] | Doth protesting, perhaps a bit much. | 断言或许有点多 |
[24:26] | Are you buying this? | 你会这么认为吗? |
[24:27] | We’re catching her up. | 我们先听她说完 |
[24:28] | Moscow’s not thrilled with this budding relationship. | 莫斯科并不害怕他们处于萌芽状态的结盟关系 |
[24:30] | Not only is it competitive with Russia’s own oil interests, | 不仅仅是因为俄罗斯的石油价格同样很有竞争力 |
[24:32] | but it’s emblematic of China’s growing dominance in the region. | 也是中国的区域统治力在不断加强的标志。 |
[24:35] | Who takes over in Kazakhstan with Issanov dead? | 谁对Issanov死在哈撒克斯坦这件事负责 |
[24:37] | Constitutionally, Prime Minister Tarmov. | 从根本上来说是Tarmov总理 |
[24:38] | Who has ties that go back to Moscow from the USSR days. | 从与苏联冷战以来他再次同俄罗斯建立了联系 |
[24:41] | It’s Russia’s interests that are most directly served by removing the sitting President. | 俄罗斯的利益很可能是想直接推翻美国的现任总统 |
[24:45] | What will the Chinese do? | 中国人会怎么做 |
[24:46] | That’s the question. | 这还是未知数 |
[24:48] | Russia and China, eyeball-to-eyeball in Central Asia? | 俄罗斯和中国正在对峙中 |
[24:51] | Over oil. | 为了石油 |
[24:52] | With 900 U.S. Marines stuck right in the middle. | 而900美军正好夹在了中间 |
[25:02] | Oh, God! | 哦,天啊 |
[25:04] | This is so scary. | 这太恐怖了 |
[25:06] | Congressman, you got a minute? | 议员,能和你说两句吗? |
[25:07] | Yeah, sure. | 当然可以 |
[25:11] | What’s she watching? | 她在看什么? |
[25:12] | The latest Rob Zombie film. | Rob Zombie最近的一部片子 |
[25:13] | She seems to be enjoying it. | 她好象很爱看的样子 |
[25:15] | I guess. | 我猜 |
[25:16] | You a big Rob Zombie fan? | 你是Rob Zombie的忠实影迷吧? |
[25:17] | I prefer his earlier, funnier movies. | 我更喜欢他以前那些更有趣的片子 |
[25:21] | Lou and I have been discussing the staff. | 我和lou刚讨论过我们人员的问题 |
[25:23] | What about it? | 关于什么的? |
[25:24] | Making some changes. | 得做出些改变 |
[25:25] | Are you kidding me? | 开玩笑吧? |
[25:27] | She’s not talking to you. | 她没对说你说话 |
[25:28] | The campaign’s not hitting on all cylinders. | 目前竞选并没有取得成功 |
[25:32] | It could be time for a mid-course correction. | 所以必须得在中场休息时做一些调整 |
[25:33] | How many people are we talking about? | 这涉及到多少人? |
[25:35] | About 45. | 大概45个 |
[25:35] | You can’t be serious. | 你不是认真地吧 |
[25:40] | You can’t do that. | 你不能那样做 |
[25:41] | It’s a lot of people. | 人太多了 |
[25:42] | It’ll look like panic. | 看起来就像一场恐慌 |
[25:43] | We can bring in more operatives with experience and savvy. | 我们可以引进一些更机智更有经验的老手作为弥补 |
[25:47] | Have we been turning them away? | 我门是不是要这样赶走他们: |
[25:48] | “I’m sorry, you can’t work for us. You have too much experience and savvy.”? | “对不起,你不能再为我们工作了.因为你太聪明经验太丰富了” |
[25:51] | We need to make some changes. | 我们不得不得做出些调整 |
[25:52] | Are we panicked? | 我们惊慌失措了吗? |
[25:53] | No. Of course not. | 不,当然没有 |
[25:56] | Well, you’re running this thing. | 好,你按你的意思去办。 |
[25:58] | It is a big layoff and it’s going to get noted in the press, | 这是一次大面积的解雇, 事后一定会成为报纸的头条 |
[26:00] | but if you think it’s needed… | 但如果你认为这是必须的… |
[26:02] | I do. | 我认为是的。 |
[26:04] | One of the people is Ned Carlson. | 其中一个就是Ned Carlson |
[26:06] | What? | 什么 |
[26:07] | I know he’s been with you a long time. | 我知道他跟着你很长时间了 |
[26:08] | I’m sure he was a real asset in the Congressional office. | 我也知道他在国会办公室很有用 |
[26:11] | You can’t fire Ned. | 你不能炒NED |
[26:12] | But he is not cut out for this: the pace, thinking fast on your feet. | 但他并不是适合眼下的情况: 事情的节奏比你的脚步更快 |
[26:15] | Send him back to the Congressional office | 那把他还调回国会办公室 |
[26:18] | and we will get him something in the administration once we’re in. | 当我们成功后再把他调回行政部门工作 |
[26:22] | Matt. | |
[26:23] | Anyone not getting the job done is going to go. | 任何没有完成好工作的人都将被裁掉 |
[26:30] | Do you want to be the one to tell him? | 你愿意成为告诉他这个消息的人吗? |
[26:32] | You can take care of it. | 你自己能处理好 |
[26:40] | Mrs. Santos. | Santos太太会的 |
[26:42] | That’s as far as I got before his attorney intervened. | 这是我在他的律师介入之前 掌握的所有情况 |
[26:44] | Do you feel you got the whole story? | 你认为你掌握整件事了吗 |
[26:47] | Toby mentioned he discussed the existence of military shuttle with you. | Toby说他曾和你讨论过有关 军事航天飞机存在的事情 |
[26:50] | He did. | 是的 |
[26:51] | Did you direct him to leak the information? | 是不是你让他泄漏的消息? |
[26:53] | I did not. | 我没有 |
[26:54] | Urge it? | 劝过他吗 |
[26:55] | No. | 没有 |
[26:55] | Subtly hint? | 暗示过吗? |
[26:56] | Absolutely not. | 绝对没有 |
[26:58] | Why, did Toby give any indication that I had? | 为什么这么问,是不是Toby暗示我那样做了 |
[27:00] | Nope. | 不是的 |
[27:02] | His account matches yours. | 他的陈述和你的很吻合 |
[27:03] | It’s important that everyone’s stories are in sync. | 所有人说的都是一样的是很重要的事情 |
[27:05] | They are. | 是的 |
[27:06] | That’s because it’s the truth. | 因为这是事实 |
[27:07] | Have you discussed this with anyone since Mike and you last spoke? | 在你和MIKE最后一次交谈后还和别人说过这事吗 |
[27:10] | No. | 没有 |
[27:12] | No comment about what’s been going on in the Roosevelt Room or Toby’s office? | 没有评论过在罗斯福房和托比办公室 里得事进展如何了? |
[27:15] | Of course not. | 当然没有了 |
[27:17] | And others you’ve encountered will so testify? | 有碰见你的人作证吗 |
[27:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:19] | Spoken to anyone outside the building? | 给外界的其他人说过吗 |
[27:21] | No. | 没有 |
[27:22] | And the White House phone logs will so confirm? | 白宫的通话记录也能证明这点吗? |
[27:26] | I placed a call to Leo McGarry. | 我给Leo McGarry 打过电话 |
[27:32] | For what purpose? | 出于什么目的 |
[27:36] | For what purpose, C.J.? | 出于什么目的,C.J |
[27:37] | I didn’t reach him. | 电话并没有接通 |
[27:41] | But had you, was your intention to discuss the fact that Toby Ziegler was the White House leak? | 但是你是不是试图和他讨论Toby Ziegler是白宫泄漏秘密的人 |
[27:45] | I didn’t reach him. | 我说了电话没接通 |
[27:47] | He and you should be very glad about that. | 你们会为此而庆幸 |
[27:50] | What, if any, message did you leave? | 你留下过什么消息吗 |
[27:52] | I told Margaret not to leave any, that it wasn’t anything important. | 我让Margaret什么也别留,没什么重要的事情 |
[27:56] | Were those your exact words? | 你所说的都是准确的吗 |
[27:57] | I don’t know, I… | 我不知道,我… |
[28:01] | I may have said not to even mention that I had called. | 我也许对他说过别提我打过电话的事 |
[28:05] | You have between now and tomorrow morning, | 从现在到明天早上这么长的时间 |
[28:07] | when I imagine the first question will come about this, | 我将会一直思考第一个提出的问题 |
[28:11] | to consider whether you had a particular reason to phone Leo McGarry this evening | 就是你是否还有更特别的理由 在今晚上打电话给Leo McGarry |
[28:15] | other than discussing courses of action in dealing with this news regarding Toby Ziegler, | 除了讨论如何处理关于Toby Ziegler的丑闻 |
[28:20] | which might, to outsiders, appear to be consideration of a cover-up. | 也许就是想采用对局外人掩盖事实的真相的方式 |
[28:28] | It’s time to tell the President. | 是时候向总统汇报了 |
[28:32] | What will be the recommendation of the Counsel’s office? | 律师办公室的关于这次调查的 结论将会是怎样的? |
[28:36] | The same as yours. | 会和你想的一样 |
[28:40] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[28:42] | Oh, I want to see that ring. | 喔,让我看看那戒指 |
[28:43] | Oh, its lovely. | 欧,真好看 |
[28:44] | You don’t think it’s too big? | 你不觉得它太大了吗 |
[28:45] | There’s no such thing, dear. | 一点也不,亲爱的 |
[28:48] | Almost got you a rebate there. | 差不多在那可以给你打折了 |
[28:50] | I only wish I could have afforded an even bigger one. | 我只希望我能买得起个更大的 |
[28:55] | Well, I want to hear all about the proposal. Tell me everything. | 我只想听取所有的建议,全部都告诉我 |
[28:58] | We went for a mountain bike ride to a secluded spot in Rock Creek Park. | 我们骑山地车去了Rock Creek公园 一个与世隔绝的地方 |
[29:03] | We did it there. | 我们到了那 |
[29:05] | – Oh. – Or, I did it there. | 哦,哦也许该说是我到了那 |
[29:06] | Romantic. | 真浪漫 |
[29:07] | Very. | 是非常浪漫 |
[29:08] | The two of us and my Secret Service detail. | 只有我们两个,还有我的秘密仪式的细节 |
[29:12] | When are you thinking about having the wedding? | 你们什么时候打算结婚 |
[29:14] | As soon as possible. | 越快越好 |
[29:15] | We don’t want to distract from the election, of course, | 我们不想受到选举影响,当然 |
[29:18] | but anytime after that could work. | 等那过去了什么时候都行 |
[29:20] | A White House wedding at Christmas? | 圣诞节在白宫举行婚礼如何? |
[29:22] | I don’t think she wants that. | 我想她不愿意那样 |
[29:24] | What? | 什么 |
[29:25] | To do it here. | 就在这举行婚礼 |
[29:26] | – What could be more wonderful? – Oh, no. | 还有什么比那更好 哦,不是的 |
[29:28] | Undoubtedly a White House wedding would be very beautiful and terribly romantic, | 的确能在白宫结婚非常美妙而且非常浪漫 |
[29:31] | but inevitably it would be quite a bit of a spectacle. | 但那将不可避免地会被认为 我们是在集体做秀 |
[29:33] | And of all of us, Ellie has been the one to shy away from the spotlight. | 尤其是Ellie因为害羞而远离这种关注 |
[29:38] | Why don’t you consider having the wedding after your father has left the office entirely? | 你们为什么不考虑一下在你爸爸 完全卸任后再举行婚礼呢 |
[29:42] | Sure, if you want to turn your back on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. | 当然可以,如果你想错过你一生中 唯一的一次这样的机会的话 |
[29:45] | Hopefully, the wedding is the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. | 充满希望的是,婚礼本身就是一生中 唯一的一次机会 |
[29:49] | You would seriously consider not getting married in the White House? | 你们应该认真考虑一下是否应该放弃 在白宫举行婚礼的机会 |
[29:51] | Well, you could do something very private at the farm. | 但是,你们可以在农场进行更多的私人活动 |
[29:54] | Where, at the moment, is the less pressing concern. | 在哪举行不是现在最值得关注的事情 |
[29:59] | There’s another consideration that may need to take precedence | 现在有另外一件事需要优先考虑 |
[30:02] | as far as scheduling goes. | 顺气自然吧 |
[30:07] | And… | 还有… |
[30:08] | you know… | 你们应该知道… |
[30:10] | why we… | 我们… |
[30:11] | might not want to… | 可能不想… |
[30:13] | wait. | 等下去. |
[30:15] | Oh. | 欧 |
[30:21] | Well, | 好的 |
[30:23] | we should probably get right on to scheduling that, then. | 我们也许应该马上开始制定计划,然后 |
[30:28] | Sorry for the interruption Mr. President, ma’am, Ellie. | 对不起打搅了,总统先生,太太,还有Ellie |
[30:31] | Nancy, this is our… new son-in-law to be, Vic Faison. | Nancy,这是我们…的新女婿,Vic Faison |
[30:37] | Nice to meet you. Congratulations. | 很高兴见到你 恭喜 |
[30:39] | Thank you, thank you so much. | 谢谢,非常感谢 |
[30:41] | Sir, C.J. and Oliver Babish would like to speak with you. | 先生,C.J. 和 Oliver Babish想和您谈话 |
[30:44] | Of course. Excuse me, please. | 好的 不好意思,失陪了 |
[30:54] | Self-aggrandizing and self-destructive? | 自大并且自我否定? |
[30:56] | I was trying to make a point. | 我只是试着突出重点 |
[30:57] | Quasi-orgasmic might have been a bit much. | 可说我类似性高潮一样兴奋 是不是有点过了呢 |
[30:59] | A little colorful rhetoric; occupational hazard. Why’d you do it? | 是有点花言巧语,但这是职业病 你为什么那么做 |
[31:05] | To save lives. | 为了救人命 |
[31:07] | Your brother was an astronaut. | 你的兄弟是位宇航员 |
[31:11] | Astronaut’s lives in the short term. | 宇航员是短命鬼 |
[31:13] | Start a discussion about whether we want to extend mankind’s capacity for warfare into the heavens. | 自从我们开始讨论是否应该扩展人类的能力 去应付太空中的战役 |
[31:17] | The weaponization of space. | 太空武器化 |
[31:19] | I believe in an open society. You debate these things in the light of day. | 我认为在开放社会 你应该可以公开的讨论这件事情 |
[31:22] | That’s what’s supposed to happen in a democracy. | 这是在民主社会应该发生的事情 |
[31:24] | Yes, global pacifism, freedom of information; these are things that people will rally around. | 是的,世界和平主义,信息言论自由 这些都是人们会应当争取恢复的事情 |
[31:28] | We can get a lot of lefty support; college campuses, Hollywood… | 我们能得到很多左翼力量的支持:大学,好莱坞… |
[31:33] | Good, help defray my legal expenses. | 很好,帮我支付合法的费用 |
[31:35] | I’m serious. | 我是认真的 |
[31:36] | So am I; I know what you charge. | 我也是 我了解你的职责 |
[31:37] | A couple of well-placed editorials, some cable news spots, public demonstrations; | 一些地位很高的编辑,有线现场新闻,群众示威游行 |
[31:42] | this could be very helpful. | 都会很起到很大的作用 |
[31:43] | Certainly not going to hurt, huh? | 肯定不会有害,不是么 |
[31:46] | Will it keep me out of jail? | 那能让我不用坐牢吗 |
[31:47] | There’s a lesser criminal statute, 35 U.S.C. 799, | 有一种较轻的判罚 美国法律第799页第35条 |
[31:51] | which makes it a misdemeanor to disobey a regulation set forth by the NASA administrator. | 会令你的行为变成一项只是违反 国家航空宇航局规章的轻罪 |
[31:55] | The penalty is likely a fine, no more than a year’s jail time. | 处罚就会很轻,就算坐牢也不超过一年 |
[32:00] | Yeah, I know. It’s a little pie-in-the-sky around the edges. | 是的,我知道,这有点像空中楼阁 希望非常渺茫 |
[32:10] | Keep thinking, counselor. It’s what you’re good at. | 继续想啊,律师小姐.那是你的强项 |
[32:41] | Toby? | |
[32:47] | Is it possible to be astonished and, at the same time, not surprised? | 有没有可能会在感到很震惊的同时 又觉得在意料之中 |
[32:51] | I’ve debriefed him, sir. | 我已经听取了他的汇报,先生 |
[32:52] | It seems to have involved no one else. | 看来和这件事和别人无关了 |
[32:54] | Obviously there’ll be a partisan push to probe past Toby | 很显然某个党派侦查过toby的过去 |
[32:57] | and cause us and the Santos campaign more difficulty. | 并且导致我们和Santos的竞选更加困难了 |
[33:00] | The fact that there’s no there there should limit the other side’s ability to get traction. | 事实上没有其他的什么去限制对方 遭受更大的阻力 |
[33:05] | The political fallout is not my first concern. | 政治上附带的结果不是我最关注的 |
[33:10] | We should move quickly, sir. | 我们得加快步伐,先生 |
[33:13] | Oliver’s pointed out that not only do we not want the appearance of a cover-up, | Oliver指出不仅仅是我们 不希望掩盖事实的真相 |
[33:17] | we don’t want the appearance of, even for a moment, | 我们一点也不想要掩盖事实真相。 |
[33:19] | having considered anything but full and immediate disclosure. | 之前我们考虑到了所有的情况只是没有想到 事情会这么快被彻底揭发出来。 |
[33:23] | I’ll make a statement. | 我会做个声明的 |
[33:27] | And Toby… | 可是Toby呢… |
[33:28] | I’ll take care of that, sir. | 我会处理的,先生 |
[33:30] | No. | 不 |
[33:32] | Bring him here. | 把他带来 |
[33:34] | Respectfully, Mr. President, | 尊敬的总统先生 |
[33:36] | you should not be in the same room with Toby Ziegler. | 你现在不应该和Toby Ziegler待在一个房间里 |
[33:39] | He’s radioactive, sir, potentially toxic to the Presidency. | 他很危险,先生,对您有潜在的危胁 |
[33:44] | Thank you for your counsel, but I have to do this myself. | 谢谢你的忠告,但我必须亲自处理 |
[33:47] | Then I’m going to have to insist on being present. | 那我不得不坚持现在的立场 |
[33:54] | Give me a moment. | 我想单独待会 |
[33:55] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢您,总统先生 |
[33:56] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢,先生 |
[34:10] | God! | 我的上帝 |
[34:11] | See, | 看到了吗 |
[34:13] | this is what puts people off: | 就是这么搪塞人的 |
[34:15] | lurking. | 只观不语 |
[34:16] | No one likes a lurker. | 没人想当出头鸟 |
[34:17] | How’d it go in there? | 那儿情况如何 |
[34:18] | For your theory? Not well. | 用你的理论? 不是很好 |
[34:21] | I think there’s a better one. | 我想会有个更好的 |
[34:22] | It can’t be better if it’s wrong. | 如果它错了就没有更好的了 |
[34:23] | Good night, Charles. | 晚安,Charles |
[34:24] | The pattern is so patently obvious children, even kindergartners would see it. | 形势已经非常明了了 就连孩子,甚至幼儿园儿童都能看明白 |
[34:28] | I’m trying to save everyone’s jobs, okay? | 我在努力保住所有人的工作,明白吗? |
[34:32] | What?! | 岂有此理 |
[34:33] | All right, your theory; what is it. Tell me. | 好了,你怎么认为,告诉我 |
[34:41] | It’s a pretty scary scenario, actually. | 事实上现在是一个非常危急的环节 |
[34:43] | It leads to Russia and China on the brink of confrontation; | 这将导致中国和俄罗斯处于对峙状态 |
[34:46] | two neighboring nuclear power, India and Pakistan forced to pick sides; | 两个临近的核势力,迫使印度和巴基斯 择一而依 |
[34:49] | Japan and the United States being drawn in against their will. | 这样日本和美国被迫出面组织他们的意愿 |
[34:51] | It’s your basic horror show, World War III nightmare. | 这就是你令人可怖的根本结论 第三次世界大战将会来临 |
[34:56] | Very cool. | 很好 |
[34:58] | You want to grab coffee? | 想来杯咖啡吗 |
[35:06] | Ned, hang on a minute. | Ned,等一下 |
[35:13] | What’s up? | 怎么了 |
[35:24] | Am I in trouble? | 我有麻烦了? |
[35:25] | You know, this kind of thing is never easy but we’ve decided to make a change. | 你看,做出这种决定总是艰难的 但我们还是决定做出些改变 |
[35:29] | Sorry? | 什么意思? |
[35:30] | We’re shaking up… | 我们动摇了 |
[35:32] | the staff and you’re one of the people we’re going to let go. I’m sorry. | 一些人得走了,其中也包括你. 很抱歉 |
[35:35] | You’re joking. | 你在开玩笑吧? |
[35:36] | I’m not. | 没有 |
[35:38] | You’re firing me? | 你把我炒了? |
[35:39] | It’s reassignment; back to the Congressional office. | 是重新分配,你将调回到国会办公室 |
[35:41] | No, um, you don’t fire me. Does the Congressman know about this? | 不,嗯,你不能炒我.议员知道这件事吗? |
[35:45] | He signed off on it, yeah. | 是的,他并没有阻止 |
[35:48] | Well, due respect, I’m really going to have to hear it from him. | 好的,我尊重你们的决定,但我仍坚持 要亲耳听到他对我说 |
[35:50] | He’s going straight to the meet-and-greet, and then, I really hope, straight to bed. | 他直接去参加会议,然后,我相信 已经上床睡觉了 |
[35:54] | Well, he’s going to need to find some time. | 我必须要找时间和他谈一下 |
[35:55] | Listen to me. | 听我说 |
[35:57] | Talking to the Congressman is not going to change anything. | 就算找到国会议员也不能改变任何事 |
[36:02] | I want to thank you for all your hard work. | 对你努力的工作我深表感激 |
[36:04] | Screw you. | 去你的 |
[36:09] | You know, you can fire as many of us grunts as you want, | 你知道,你可以随便的说炒就炒掉我们 |
[36:13] | but if you want to know why this campaign is floundering, | 但如果你想知道为什么竞选变的如此步履维艰 |
[36:15] | look in the mirror. | 照照镜子吧 |
[36:22] | C.J., | |
[36:24] | did something break in the leak investigation? | 这次有关泄漏事件的调查有何进展 |
[36:28] | Since I’m supposed to heading it… | 我想我应该知道… |
[36:31] | I can’t talk about this right now. | 我现在还不能说 |
[36:37] | I feel like I owe you an apology. | 我觉得我欠你一个道歉 |
[36:40] | You don’t. | 你不欠 |
[36:41] | And I really can’t discuss this right now. | 现在我真的不能说 |
[36:50] | The President wants to see you. | 总统先生想要见你 |
[36:52] | Just Toby. | 只是TOBY |
[36:53] | I’m afraid I have a problem with that. | 恐怕我不会答应 |
[36:55] | I’m sure I didn’t just hear you invite yourself into the Oval Office. | 我可以肯定我没有听到总统邀请你也进去 除了你邀请你自己 |
[36:57] | You’re hearing me request that the courtesy of an invitation be extended to Mr. Ziegler’s attorney | 我要求你对作为Mr.Ziegler律师的我 发出礼貌的邀请 |
[37:01] | or my clients not going anywhere. | 否则我的委托人哪儿也不去 |
[37:03] | It’s okay. | 好了,我去 |
[37:04] | Toby! | |
[37:05] | It’s all right. Go home. | 没事,你回家吧 |
[37:22] | Yeah. | 请进 |
[37:32] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[37:35] | Toby. | |
[37:38] | I was hoping we would be able to speak in private. | 我希望我们能私下好好谈谈 |
[37:41] | Your actions have pretty much made that impossible. | 可你的所作所为使这个愿望很难实现 |
[37:44] | I haven’t had much time to absorb this news, | 我没太多时间去了解整件事 |
[37:46] | so I’ll apologize in advance if I express any half-formed thoughts. | 所有如果我一会说出什么不成熟的想法冒犯到你 先提前请求你的原谅 |
[37:51] | But the one thought that hits the hardest is that this was somehow inevitable; | 但有一点,最难以启齿可看起来似乎又不可避免的 |
[37:58] | that you’ve always been heading for this sort of crash-and-burn. | 在这种事情上你总是挺身而出 |
[38:00] | That self-righteous superiority; | 那种自大,高傲 |
[38:03] | not that you were smarter than everyone; | 并不是你比别人聪明 |
[38:06] | that you were purer, morally superior. | 而是你很纯净,道德上更纯净 |
[38:12] | Due respect, sir, I don’t think I’m morally superior to everyone. | 尊敬的长官,我不认为我道德上优于别人 |
[38:16] | No, | 不 |
[38:18] | just to me. | 对我来说是 |
[38:22] | Sir, I’ve drawn up a letter of resignation. | 先生.这写了一封辞职信 |
[38:26] | What is that, the third one? | 那是什么 第三封吗? |
[38:32] | Rip it up. | 撕了它 |
[38:34] | Sir? | 总统先生? |
[38:36] | I can’t accept your resignation. | 我不接受你的辞职 |
[38:39] | I have to fire you. | 但我不得不开除你 |
[38:44] | For cause. | 因为某些原因 |
[38:50] | You’ll need to turn in your credentials. | 你需要交上你的信任状 |
[38:52] | A guard will come to escort you from the building immediately. | 卫兵会护送你马上离开这里 |
[38:56] | You may not take anything out with you. | 你不能从这里带走任何东西 |
[38:58] | All of your personal effects will be sent to your home | 我们会把你所有的私人物品送到你家 |
[39:01] | after Counsel’s staff has cataloged the contents of your office. | 等辩护律师们把你办公室的东西清理列表之后 |
[39:13] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢你,总统先生 |
[39:19] | Toby. | |
[39:22] | When you walk out of here, there’ll be people out there, | 等你离开这时,人们会在外面送你 |
[39:25] | perhaps a great many, who’ll think of you as a hero. | 可能会有很多人,认为你是个英雄 |
[39:29] | I just don’t for a moment want you thinking I’ll be one of them. | 我只是不希望你认为我会是他们之一 |
[39:46] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[39:48] | Is he in? | 他在吗? |
[39:54] | C.J. Cregg to see you. | C.J. Cregg找你 |
[39:56] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[39:57] | – Hey. – Hey, what’s up? | 嘿 嘿,怎么了 |
[39:59] | I’m offering – | 我来建议 |
[40:02] | well, not so much offering as dragooning you | 恩,谈不上建议而是强迫你 |
[40:05] | to be the new White House Communications Director starting immediately. | 立刻接管白宫通信主管的职位 |
[40:08] | Congratulations. | 恭喜了 |
[40:09] | I’ll smooth things over with the VP but first you should know | 我会和副总统把调动工作处理好 但是首先你要知道 |
[40:12] | the President’s making a statement in, uh, three or so minutes | 这是总统在三两分钟内做出的 |
[40:16] | in which he’ll announce that Toby Ziegler has been fired | 将宣布Toby Ziegler被解雇了的决定 |
[40:18] | for an egregious national security violation. | 因为他严重危害了国家安全 |
[40:20] | Toby. | |
[40:21] | Said termination taking place within an hour | 他所有的职权在他承认 |
[40:23] | of Mr. Ziegler’s confession of responsibility for this act. | 他对这次泄密事件负责后一小时内终结 |
[40:27] | Uh, does the President want me to help with the statement? | 恩,总统先生想让我来宣布这些 |
[40:30] | I think he’s got a pretty good handle on what he’s going to say. | 我想他已经为他将要说的话 作了非常好的准备 |
[40:32] | White House Counsel sealed Toby’s office | 白宫的人封了Toby的办公室 |
[40:34] | so feel free to use Annabeth’s old one for the time being, | 所以暂时先用Annabeth以前的那个 |
[40:37] | which, come to think of it, used to be yours. | 也就是,我刚想起来,你以前也用过它 |
[40:41] | Funny how things work out. | 事情变化得真是有趣 |
[40:44] | Not so funny, really. | 一点也不有趣,真的 |
[40:46] | Yeah, not so much. | 是的,并不 |
[41:03] | Rough in there. | 大概就是那了 |
[41:06] | To be expected. | 令人期待啊 |
[41:10] | I thought he’d thank you for your service. | 我想总统会为你所作的工作感激你 |
[41:14] | He’s angry. | 他很生气 |
[41:19] | Someone should thank you for your service. | 某些人应该感激你的工作 |
[41:26] | Mr. Ziegler. I’ll need your hard pass, sir. | Ziegler先生 我需要你的通行卡 |
[41:34] | If you’d come with me. | 能跟我来吗? |
[41:41] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[41:42] | Less than an hour ago White House Communications Director Toby Ziegler | 不到一小时以前,白宫通讯主管Toby Ziegler |
[41:47] | confessed to making an unauthorized disclosure of classified national security information | 承认了在未授权的情况下泄漏国家安全保密情报 |
[41:52] | to a reporter from the New York Times newspaper. | 给一位纽约时报的记者 |
[41:55] | This admission was promptly brought to my attention | 这项供认立刻引起了我的注意 |
[41:58] | and Mr. Ziegler was immediately fired from his position in this administration effective at once. | Ziegler先生立即从他的管理职位上被解雇了 |
[42:04] | He’s been relieved of his credentials… | 同时也解除了他的信任状… |
[42:51] | Transcribed by Soundman “TWIZ TV.COM”. Feedback to sparticus1611@hotmail.com. | |
[42:53] | Sync : whoopss (whoopss1@nate.com) |