时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:57] | THE WEST WING 7×07. THE DEBATE | |
[00:59] | Original air date: 11/06/2005 | |
[01:04] | Good evening, everyone. How’s the audience? | 各位 晚上好 如何接见? |
[01:16] | Three minutes, Senator. | 3分钟 参议员 |
[01:21] | I have to go downstairs for the last-minute pre-game press spin. | 为了最后的竞选前的滚动新闻 我已经去了楼下 |
[01:25] | Bruno’s going to walk you to the stage, okay? | Bruno会陪你上台 好吗? |
[01:27] | Yeah. | 好 |
[01:30] | Don’t worry about getting everything in every answer. | 不要担心那些提问 |
[01:34] | We can fill in the blanks with the press in the spin room afterwards. | 我们能交一份满意的答卷 然后 |
[01:36] | Remember, two minute answers, followed by one minute rebuttal, | 记住 两分钟回答问题 跟着一分钟答辩 |
[01:40] | moderator’s option to allow a 30-second rebuttal to a rebuttal or to move on. | 主持人可以允许延时30秒答辩一个问题或者继续下一个 |
[01:44] | Stupid rules… | 蠢规定… |
[01:45] | two minutes, three minutes, one minute, 30 seconds… | 2分钟 3分钟 1分钟 30秒… |
[01:48] | what can you say in 30 seconds? | 30秒内你能说点什么? |
[01:49] | Santos’ people negotiated them to protect them. | Santos的人商议该怎么保护他们 |
[01:52] | Well why the hell did we agree to it? | 好 为什么要我们同意保护? |
[01:53] | They protect you too. | 他们也在保护你 |
[01:54] | No they don’t, they screw me up. They make me feel stiff. | 不他们没有 他们要我振作 他们认为我麻木了 |
[01:59] | Just be yourself, don’t forget to smile, | 仅仅你自己那样以为 别忘了微笑 |
[02:03] | and I’m telling you, Santos is terrified to go out on that stage tonight. | 还有我告诉过你 Santos 今晚害怕会出局 |
[02:08] | You have no idea what this feels like. | 你不知道那是什么感觉 |
[02:10] | ‘Terrified’ doesn’t begin to describe it. | “害怕”无法形容 |
[02:12] | Worst thing you can do is struggle with the moderator. | 你可以争取绕过那些不利的事 |
[02:14] | Oh, no. The worst thing I can do is forget everything I came here to say; | 哦 不 不利的事我可以说 到这我说我忘记的事 |
[02:17] | every debate point I memorized, every word of my opening statement. | 我要记住我的陈述的每个字 每个辩论重点 |
[02:22] | You are going to be great. | 你会一切顺利的 |
[02:24] | I don’t feel great. | 我感觉不顺 |
[02:25] | You have been through worse stuff than this. | 你还要经历比这更糟的 |
[02:26] | Like…? | 像…? |
[02:28] | – Combat. – Flashing yellow light means you’ve got 15 seconds, | 战斗 黄灯闪说明你还有15秒 |
[02:30] | – red light means you’ve got… – Let me guess. | 红灯闪说明你… 我猜 |
[02:32] | Vinick’s going to hide behind the rules. | Vinick会躲到台控后面 |
[02:33] | He’s got no answer on how he’s going to pay for his tax cuts | 他不会答辩他如何减税 |
[02:36] | so he’s going to run the clock out on that one. | 所以他会在时间到前绕开问题 |
[02:38] | You can do that too. | 你也可以那样 |
[02:39] | If you get in a jam, | 如果你被困 |
[02:40] | just take a paragraph from your stump speech to get you to the red light. | 就把演讲的难点截掉 你的红灯就会亮了 |
[02:44] | The rules are your friend. | 台控是你的朋友 |
[02:45] | – Use them so this doesn’t become… – A debate? | 利用他不那么合适… 一场辩论? |
[02:47] | Exactly. | 正确 |
[02:48] | Good evening, and welcome to the first Presidential debate | 晚上好 欢迎收看第一场总统竞选辩论 |
[02:52] | with the Republican party’s nominee, California Senator Arnold Vinick | 来自加利福尼亚的参议员共和党提名人 |
[02:56] | and the Democratic party’s nominee, Texas Congressman Matt Santos. | 和来自德克萨斯的众议员民主党提名人 |
[03:18] | I’m Forrest Sawyer and I will moderate tonight’s debate | 我是 Forrest Sawyer 今晚的辩论中间方 |
[03:20] | following rules worked out by representatives of the candidates. | 下列规则是候选人要遵守的 |
[03:24] | I’ve agreed to enforce their rules. | 由我执行规则 |
[03:25] | Now, each candidate will have a two-minute opening statement. | 现在 每个候选人有2分钟时间发表他们的竞选陈述 |
[03:28] | I’ll then ask a series of questions, all of them chosen by me alone. | 然后我会提出一系列问题让他们选择 |
[03:33] | I’ve told no one what the subjects or the questions will be. | 我说过没有人知道有什么题目或问题等着 |
[03:36] | For each question, there’ll be a two-minute answer followed by a one-minute rebuttal | 每个问题有2分钟回答和1分钟辩论时间 |
[03:41] | with a possibility of a 30-second extension of the discussion at my discretion. | 由我决定是否就讨论的事件给予30秒延时 |
[03:46] | A yellow light will come on when there are 15 seconds left in an answer. | 黄灯亮是离回答完问题还有15秒 |
[03:50] | A flashing red means time’s up. And, if we need it, we have a backup buzzer. | 红灯闪意味着时间到 如果需要 我们有蜂鸣器 |
[03:55] | I think time’s up on the rules. | 我以为台控控制时间 |
[03:57] | Well, not quite, Congressman. There’s a little bit more. | 不十分对 众议员 比这要多点 |
[03:59] | Candidates may not direct questions or statements to each other | 候选人不能直接就彼此的陈述互相提问 |
[04:02] | and they will have two-minute closing statements. | 他们有2分钟来做结束陈词 |
[04:04] | Now, the last rule is for our audience here in the hall. | 现在 还有一条规定是给今晚在这个大厅的观众 |
[04:06] | Now that you have had your fun, they will please remain silent | 不管你们感到有多可笑 请保持安静 |
[04:12] | until the end of the debate when we can all give democracy a big round of applause. | 直到他们结束辩论 我们可以为民主而鼓掌欢呼 |
[04:18] | And now, as determined by the toss of a coin, the first opening statement is from Senator Vinick. | 现在,请掷币胜出的 Arnold Vinick先陈述 |
[04:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[04:26] | It is truly an honor to be here tonight. | 今晚到这里真是光荣 |
[04:30] | I would… | 我… |
[04:40] | You know, I’ve watched every televised Presidential debate that this country has ever had. | 你们知道吗 我收看了这个国家的 每一场电视总统竞选辩论 |
[04:46] | And every time I heard them recite the rules, | 我每刻都在听他们朗读他们的陈述 |
[04:48] | I always thought that meant they’re not going to have a real debate. | 我经常思考其中的意义 他们不是要一场真正的辩论 |
[04:53] | When the greatest hero in the history of my party, Abraham Lincoln debated, he didn’t need any rules. | 当我们党派历史上最伟大的英雄 Abraham Lincoln(林肯) 辩论时 他不需任何规定 |
[04:59] | He wasn’t afraid of a real debate. | 他不惧怕真正的辩论 |
[05:02] | Now I could do a 2-minute version of my Sensible Solution stump speech | 现在我可以在2分钟内 讲出我的陈述的重点 |
[05:05] | and I’m sure Congressman Santos has a memorized opening statement ready to go. | 我当然相信Santos has 众议员记住了他 准备的公开陈词 |
[05:10] | And then we could go on with this ritual and let the rules decide | 当我们继续这个仪式并且让规定来判定 |
[05:14] | how much you’re going to learn about the next President of the United States, | 对下届的美国总统你们又认识多少 |
[05:19] | or we could have a debate Lincoln would have been proud of. | 或者我们继续辩论 Lincoln 继续得意 |
[05:22] | We could junk the rules. | 我们遵守垃圾规则 |
[05:23] | We could let our able and judicious moderator just ask us questions. | 我们让机智能干的主持人向我们提问 |
[05:28] | And we could forget about whether each of us has the exact same number of seconds to speak. | 计算着我们陈词时 需要的精确秒数 |
[05:33] | We could have a real debate if that’s all right with you, Matt. | 如果你觉得那没什么 Matt 我们要一场真正的辩论 |
[05:35] | Um, Senator, according to the rules, candidates may not direct… | 嗯 参议员 按照规定候选人不能直接… |
[05:38] | No, please. | 不 请不要 |
[05:41] | You mean like a Senate debate? | 你想要像参议院那样辩论? |
[05:43] | What are you going to do, filibuster me? | 你想干什么 阻挠我的议案? |
[05:45] | Are you going to grab the microphone for a whole hour? | 你想霸占整个时段的麦克风? |
[05:47] | No, no, no. | 不 不 不 |
[05:47] | We tell the American people what they need to hear, | 我们告诉美国人民 他们在这需要什么 |
[05:50] | no more, no less. | 不多不少 |
[05:53] | I suspect the audience will reward brevity. | 我怀疑这里的观众会有小小的报酬 |
[06:02] | Okay, | 好吧 |
[06:05] | let’s have a real debate. | 让我们开始真正的辩论 |
[09:38] | Gentlemen, I just want to be clear: | 先生们 我刚刚想清楚 |
[09:41] | you both want to abandon the rules your representatives negotiated | 你们表示代表各自党派放弃规则 |
[09:45] | and rely on me to moderate an open debate in a fair way? | 就靠我的裁定进行公开辩论? |
[09:49] | Yes, that’s what I’m suggesting. | 是的 那是我的建议 |
[09:51] | Let’s do it. | 就这样 |
[09:53] | All right then. | 那么好吧 |
[09:54] | I will follow the order determined by the toss of a coin | 我会按照掷币顺序进行 |
[09:56] | and so the first question will go to Senator Vinick. | 第一个问题是 Vinick参议员的 |
[09:59] | Senator, the governors of Arizona and New Mexico have officially declared a state of emergency | 参议员 亚里桑那州和新墨西哥州州长宣布紧急状态 |
[10:04] | on their Mexican borders because of illegal immigration. | 因为临近墨西哥边境有非法越境. |
[10:07] | What would you do to seal the Mexican border? | 你怎么办 封锁墨西哥边境? |
[10:10] | Enforcement first; that’s my policy. | 我的政策就是 实施第一 |
[10:12] | I would double the border patrol. | 我会增加双倍警力巡逻 |
[10:14] | Not just increase it; double it. | 不仅仅是增加 是双倍 |
[10:16] | We need to make a statement that says “We mean it this time. | 我们需要发表声明 “此刻做这些的意义在于 |
[10:19] | We really are cracking down on illegal immigration.” | 我们真的要制裁非法越境” |
[10:22] | And we need that statement to be heard loud and clear on the other side of the border | 我们要在边境上清楚明白的宣传这个声明 |
[10:26] | where everyone knows how easy it is to get in to this country. | 让每个想进入这个国家的人都知道那是不容易的 |
[10:29] | I want everyone on the other side of the border to think about how hard it is to get into this country. | 我想边境对面的每个人对于 如何进入这个国家都会考虑 |
[10:35] | That’s the kind of Sensible Solution you can expect from the Vinick White House. | 那需要几分判断力 你可以期待Vinick入主白宫 |
[10:40] | Congressman Santos. | Santos众议员 |
[10:41] | Double the border patrol. | 双倍巡逻 |
[10:42] | Sounds good, sounds tough. | 听起来不错 强硬 |
[10:45] | Why not triple it? | 为什么不是3倍? |
[10:47] | Why not triple it, Senator? | 为什么不是3倍 参议员? |
[10:52] | Are you proposing tripling the border patrol? | 你打算建3层边境? |
[10:53] | No, you’re the one who’s campaigning on doubling the border patrol. | 不 你说谁执行2倍的边境巡逻 |
[10:55] | You want to double it, why not triple it? | 你想双倍 为什么不是3倍? |
[10:57] | Well, I’m proposing doubling the border patrol. | 好吧 我建议双倍边境巡逻 |
[10:59] | We know that; we just heard the speech. | 我们都知道 我们仅仅在这演讲 |
[11:00] | We need enforcement first. | 我们要 实施第一 |
[11:02] | Okay. We get it. | 好的我明白 |
[11:04] | Why not triple the border patrol? | 为什么不3倍? |
[11:07] | – Well, if we could find room in the budget… – I don’t know how you plan on… | -好的,如果我们的预算够的话… -我不知道你怎么打算… |
[11:09] | Congressman, please let him finish. | 众议员 请让他讲完 |
[11:12] | No, I’m finished. | 不 我讲完了 |
[11:14] | I don’t know how you’re going to find room in the budget to double the border patrol | 我不知道你怎么从预算中找到够双倍巡逻的开销 |
[11:17] | with the tax cut that you’re proposing. | 减税支持? |
[11:20] | Why not double the border patrol? | 为什么不是3倍? |
[11:21] | I’ll tell you why not: because we already have. | 我来告诉你为什么 因为已经是3倍了 |
[11:24] | Since 1990 we’ve tripled, not double, | 从1990年开始就是3倍 而不是双倍 |
[11:27] | tripled the border patrol along the Mexican border | 沿着墨西哥边境3倍的巡逻 |
[11:31] | and you don’t need me to tell you that it hasn’t solved the problem. | 你们不需要我告诉你们那不解决问题 |
[11:33] | – If we had more agents… – Doubling the border patrol means | -如果我们有更多的手段… -双倍巡逻意味 |
[11:35] | that 80% of illegal entries will get in instead of 90%. | 80%的非法越境变成90% |
[11:39] | Don’t let anyone tell you that the border can be secured by doubling the border patrol. | 不用说双倍巡逻意味着什么 |
[11:44] | The problem of illegal immigration is much bigger than the border patrol. | 非法越境会成为最大的边境问题 |
[11:47] | Which is why we passed CAFTA this year; the Central American Free Trade Agreement. | 今年我们为什么通过CAFTA; 中美洲自由贸易协定 |
[11:51] | – Well, Senator, CAFTA’s not the answer… – It’s a good deal for American consumers | – 好吧 参议员 CAFTA不能帮您回答… – 对于中美洲来说那是个好买卖 |
[11:54] | and it will help create jobs in Central America. | 它能帮中美洲创造就业机会 |
[11:56] | And the more jobs that are created there, | 会有更多的工作等着 |
[11:59] | – the fewer people who will come here illegally looking for work. – That won’t help. | – 除了一小部分人谁会到这里来非法打工 |
[12:02] | A vote for CAFTA was a vote for our economy and a vote against illegal immigration. | 因为CAFTA的投票是针对我们的经济体制 和反对非法移民 |
[12:09] | I’m proud to say that I cast that vote in the Senate. | 我可以自豪的说我在参议院投了票 |
[12:13] | How did you vote on CAFTA, Congressman? | 你是如何投的票 众议员? |
[12:17] | I don’t think there’s anyone left in the country who doesn’t know how I voted on CAFTA, Senator. | 谁都不知道我怎么投的票 参议员 我不想让我们任何一个离开祖国 |
[12:23] | You’ve all heard it, right? | 你都听到了 对吗? |
[12:24] | My most famous quote of the campaign: ‘I voted for CAFTA before I voted against it.’ | 我最着名的竞选口号是: 在我向CAFTA投票前先投一票反对 |
[12:30] | Sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? | 挺起来很荒谬 是不是? |
[12:32] | I voted for CAFTA in the Ways and Means Committee | 我在方法委员会给CAFTA投票 |
[12:34] | because it was a good bill. | 因为它是一项不错的议案 |
[12:36] | But then special interests went to work on it. | 但当有特殊利害有助于影响它 |
[12:38] | Corporate lobbyists started squeezing in special provisions for their clients | 有特殊利益的人发起并试图通过议案 |
[12:43] | and suddenly it wasn’t a free trade bill anymore. | 突然不是自由的通过议案 |
[12:46] | It certainly wasn’t a fair trade bill, and so, yes I voted against it. | 他就不是一项公平的议案 那么的确 我投了反对票 |
[12:48] | When was the last time you voted for a perfect bill? | 最后你也参与完善了议案? |
[12:50] | Senator, I knew that you would exploit my votes on CAFTA | 参议员 我知道你们在 CAFTA上使用了我的表决权 |
[12:53] | but I didn’t make the political choice. | 但我不是为了政治选择 |
[12:55] | I made the right choice and if I had to do it all over again, | 我会在那一切都重来一遍后做出正确选择 |
[12:59] | I’d vote exactly the same way. | 我还会那样做 |
[13:01] | I voted for CAFTA because it would help people in those poor countries | 我投票赞成CAFTA 因为那对那些贫困国家有帮助 |
[13:05] | – find jobs and because we need… – We cannot pretend that | – 因为我们需要就业… – 我们不能把那当做借口 |
[13:07] | trade agreements are going to be the solution… | 贸易协定可以解决… |
[13:09] | Trade agreements are part of the solution and so is my guest worker program. | 贸易协定可以部分解决 所以需要我的外来工方案 |
[13:13] | We have to face the fact that we have at least 10 million people | 我们不得不面对那样的事实 我们有至少一千万人口 |
[13:17] | who have illegally entered this country but who are now putting in an honest day’s work | 谁在非法进入这个国家 谁投入在诚实的工作中 |
[13:21] | and they’re mostly doing jobs that Americans do not want to do. | 他们通常所做的工作都是美国人不愿做的 |
[13:25] | Now, we need to establish a legal system for these workers. | 现在 我们为这些工人建立一个合法的体制 |
[13:29] | – We should make it clear… – Where were you when I introduced | – 我们清楚… – 当我提出时你在那里 |
[13:32] | a guest worker program in the House six years ago, Senator? | 6年前我在议院提出外来工议案 |
[13:35] | Where were you? | 你在那里? |
[13:36] | You just discovered the problem this year and I think we know why. | 你仅仅在今年发现问题 我想我知道为什么 |
[13:40] | Congressman, are you suggesting that Senator Vinick has raised Mexican border issues | 众议员 你在竞选中向Senator Vinick 提出的墨西哥边境问题 |
[13:46] | in this campaign because he’s running against a Latino candidate? | 是因为他不断的反对一位拉丁裔的后选人? |
[13:51] | No. | 不 |
[13:54] | Look, I have family who have lived in Texas since it was Mexico. | 看 我还有来自墨西哥的亲人住在德克萨斯 |
[13:59] | I have other relatives who have come here legally | 我的另一些亲戚合法的来到这里 |
[14:01] | and yes, some that have come here illegally. | 是的 合法来这里 |
[14:03] | I have lived this problem. | 我居住在这个问题上(被困扰) |
[14:05] | Senator Vinick talks about how easy it is to cross the Rio Grande. | Vinick参议员议论起穿越格兰德河是那么容易 |
[14:09] | I think you should tell that to the families of the men, women, and children | 我想告诉你们 每个家庭的男人 女人和孩子 |
[14:11] | who have died trying to do it. | 谁试图那样谁就会死 |
[14:13] | – I’m not saying… – This is not a law enforcement problem. | – 我没说… – 这不是执法问题 |
[14:16] | This is an economic problem. | 这是经济问题 |
[14:19] | If Mexico’s economy was as strong as Canada’s, there wouldn’t be a problem. | 如果墨西哥的经济像加拿大一样 这些就不是问题 |
[14:22] | The President cannot solve this problem. You cannot seal a 2,000-mile border. | 总统不能解决这问题 你不能封锁2000英里的边境 |
[14:26] | Mexico has to solve it. Mexico has to grow its own economy. | 墨西哥可以解决 墨西哥必须发展自己的经济 |
[14:30] | It has to provide enough jobs so that it’s not worth it | 那可以提供足够的就业 所以尝试偷渡边境 |
[14:33] | to try to cross into our borders illegally. | 是不值得的 |
[14:36] | There is no other real solution to this. | 对这没有其他真正解决办法 |
[14:37] | And Senator Vinick is smart enough to know that and I think you are, too. | Vinick参议员足够聪明的知道一切 我认为你也是 |
[14:43] | Senator Vinick. | Vinick参议员 |
[14:46] | Senator Vinick, | Vinick参议员 |
[14:49] | I think it’s fair to say the centerpiece of your campaign is your promise to cut taxes. | 我认为你清楚的说你的竞选纲领是减税 |
[14:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[14:54] | So, could you tell us, specifically, sir, | 那么 你能告诉我们吗 明确的 阁下 |
[14:57] | how you would cut spending to pay for those tax cuts? | 你如何减少开支来填补减税的缺口 |
[14:59] | What do you mean, pay for the tax cuts? | 你是什么意思? 怎么填补减税缺口? |
[15:02] | I mean would you cut spending in the same amount as you cut taxes in order to balance the budget? | 我的意思是你会减少和减税一样数额 的开支用来平衡预算? |
[15:07] | Liberals who are opposed to tax cuts anyway always say you can’t cut taxes until you’ve cut spending. | 自由主义者反对减税 他们总是说: 你们不能减税你们必须减少开支 |
[15:14] | I say we can lecture our children about overspending | 关于超支我们能教训孩子 |
[15:17] | until we run out of breath or we can just cut their allowance. | 直到我们咽气 或者减掉他们的补助 |
[15:20] | I’m a cut-the-allowance kind of parent. | 我是说能这样的父母 |
[15:24] | Well, I’m a grandparent now, so I’m not as strict as I used to be. | 那好 我的祖父母还在我会和过去不同 |
[15:29] | I’m going to cut Congress’s allowance | 我会减少国会补助 |
[15:33] | and then I’m going to force them to get control of spending | 然后强制国会控制开支 |
[15:35] | because if they don’t, because if they send me a budget | 因为如果他们不 因为如果他们寄给我他们的预算 |
[15:38] | that is not balanced, I will use this pen to veto it. | 那就不会安定 我会用这只钢笔把它否决掉 |
[15:47] | Congressman Santos, your response. | Santos众议员 你的辩论 |
[15:49] | Well, I hope everyone’s noticed that the Senator did not answer the question. | 好的 我请大家注意 参议员并没有回答问题 |
[15:53] | He didn’t tell you what spending he will cut. Would you like to try that again, Senator? | 他没有告诉你们他怎么减少开支 你希望再试试吗 参议员? |
[15:56] | I said I will balance the budget. | 我说过我会平衡预算 |
[15:58] | Oh, you’ve seen this game before. | 哦 你们以前见过这种把戏 |
[16:00] | We have a proven record on Republican tax cuts. | 我们有记录证明共和党减税 |
[16:03] | First, they cut taxes. Then, they never get around to cutting spending | 首先他们减税 然后 他们从不考虑减少开支 |
[16:07] | so they run up huge deficits and they leave massive debts for our children to pay. | 他们迅速积累了巨大的财政赤字 并且把这个沉重的债务包袱甩给我们的后代 |
[16:12] | If you elect me as President, that is a game that I won’t play. | 如果选我做总统 我不会玩这种把戏 |
[16:15] | You know, Congressman Santos is running a very brave campaign. | 你们知道Santos 众议员在非常勇敢的战斗 |
[16:18] | I have to give him credit for that. | 对此我毫无疑问相信 |
[16:20] | He’s actually promising a tax increase, which is a brave thing to do | 他实际是在许诺增税 那样做实在是勇敢的 |
[16:24] | because the American people don’t want it. | 因为美国人们不想那样 |
[16:27] | And it’s the wrong thing to do because the American people don’t want it. | 这样做是在犯错 美国人们不想你那样 |
[16:32] | But even his big tax increases won’t be enough to raise money | 但即使他提高税收 也不会筹到足够的钱 |
[16:35] | to pay for the big spending increases he’s promising. | 来支付巨大开支 兑现你的承诺 |
[16:39] | So President Santos would have to do exactly what he’s promising not to do: | 所以Santos总统只好这样做 确切什么是他应该许诺不做的: |
[16:44] | run up huge deficits and leave massive debts for our children and grandchildren to pay. | 提高财政赤字和债务留给子孙 |
[16:49] | That’s wrong. I am going to balance the budget. | 错了. 我会平衡预算 |
[16:52] | And yes, I am in favor of tax increases, but they won’t affect you. | 是的 我会增加税收 但那不影响你们 |
[16:56] | That’s what they always say. | 他们总那样讲 |
[16:57] | That is, unless you make more than a million dollars a year. | 那就是 除非你一年挣的比一百万还多 |
[16:59] | I’d like to propose raising taxes by 1% on incomes over a million. | 我可能会向每年超过一百万收入的人 增加1%的税 |
[17:04] | I want to raise taxes another 2% on incomes over ten million | 我会向每年超过一千万收入的人增加2%的税 |
[17:08] | and another 2% on incomes over 100 million dollars. | 过亿则另加2% |
[17:11] | Now, does that sound like cruel and unusual punishment for the superrich? | 现在这个承诺挺起来像是对那些超级富翁的惩罚? |
[17:15] | They’re paying more than their fair share. | 他们得为公平份额支付的更多 |
[17:17] | Oh, no, they’re not. | 哦不 他们没有 |
[17:17] | – Yes, they are. They’re paying… – They’re supposed to pay 35% | – 是 他们是 他们支付… – 假设他们支付35% |
[17:20] | but with all of the tax loopholes you’ve written into the tax code for them | 但是你们给他们写入规章的税额有漏洞 |
[17:23] | they end up paying only 23%. That’s a lot less than I pay. | 他们最后只上了23% 那只比我少了一点 |
[17:27] | Just think about this: the richest of the rich, | 只能这样考虑: 富人更富 |
[17:29] | people making over 100 million dollars a year, don’t pay anything close to the tax rate | 人们会转移过亿美元收入 而不缴纳任何接近税率的税 |
[17:35] | that they’re supposed to and that’s what Senator Vinick calls fair? | 假设他们那样,还有什么Vinick参议员称的公平? |
[17:38] | Uh, gentlemen? | 嗯 先生们? |
[17:39] | I’d like to get an answer to my original question on spending cuts. | 我最初的问题是减税 我希望得到答案 |
[17:43] | Now, are either of you willing to specify | 现在 你们任何一方愿意详细说明一下 |
[17:45] | what cuts in spending you would make in order to balance the budget? | 你会削减什么开支来平衡预算? |
[17:50] | Well… | 好… |
[17:51] | Okay, just as a hypothetical, let’s accept the worst-case scenario: | 好吧 仅仅是假设 让我们做最坏的打算 |
[17:54] | that neither one of us would be able to pay for everything he wants to do as President. | 因为他做了总统 我们两者之一都不能支付这一切 |
[18:00] | Then your choice is between a Republican who can’t pay for tax cuts | 你选择 在共和党人执政时谁也不为减税支付 |
[18:04] | or a Democrat who can’t pay for spending increases even after raising taxes. | 还是民主党执政你得为平衡预算而多缴纳税额 |
[18:08] | I think the American people know how to make that choice. | 我想美国人民知道他们如何选择 |
[18:12] | Congressman Santos, throughout this campaign, | Santos众议员 纵观这次竞选 |
[18:15] | you have said that you want to be known as the Education President. | 你曾说过它像一次总统训练 |
[18:18] | Now, what does that mean? | 现在 你能告诉那是什么意思 |
[18:19] | What is the proper role of the federal government in education? | 联邦政府在训练中是什么角色? |
[18:23] | Level the playing field. | 有水准的比赛场 |
[18:25] | Help close the gap between Beverly Hills High and Harlem High. | 帮贝弗利山(好莱坞所在的)和 哈勒姆高地(纽约黑人居集区)填平隔阂 |
[18:28] | We have got to change a system | 我们开始改变体制 |
[18:30] | that says the quality of your education depends on where you live. | 那就是不论在哪儿生活 都会受到良好的教育 |
[18:33] | Throw more money at the problem; | 投资会更大 |
[18:34] | – that’s the Democratic way… – Well, you want to throw money at the border. | – 那是民主党的路线… – 好 你会向边境投资 |
[18:37] | – Let me… Let me finish. – You’re thinking that… | – 让我…让我讲完 – 你是那样想的… |
[18:38] | Before you vote for someone who thinks you can buy higher test scores for poor students, know this: | 你能为贫穷的学生买来测试高分为某人 投票之前 知道吗 |
[18:46] | the highest spending public school system in the country has the lowest test scores. | 最高的公立学校系统开支在这个国家有最低的测试比分 |
[18:52] | Washington, D.C. spends more than every state; $15,000 per pupil and nothing to show for it. | 华盛顿特区的每个学生比其他州的学生多支出15000美元 而且毫无理由 |
[18:59] | I’m not talking about just throwing money at the problem. | 我没有谈论投资过大的问题 |
[19:03] | I’m talking about supporting the new approaches | 我谈论的是如何支持新方法 |
[19:05] | that have already succeeded in some school districts. | 在有些学区已经取得成功 |
[19:08] | The President can spread those good ideas around the country | 总统对这种好的方法已经开始推广 |
[19:11] | and he can make sure that every student gets the chance that he or she deserves. | 他确信每个学生都会得到这个机会 那是他或她该得的 |
[19:14] | Except the chance to go to a private school. | 私立学校禁入 |
[19:17] | The Republican Congress passed a federally funded voucher program for Washington, D.C. | 共和党大会在华盛顿特区通过一个联邦资助纲要 |
[19:21] | to help poor students who can’t afford to go to private schools. | 帮助供不起私立学校的贫困生 |
[19:26] | We got more applications than we could handle. | 我们应该做得更多 |
[19:29] | Poor minority parents desperately want to get their kids out of failing public schools. | 少数贫困家庭的父母希望 他们的孩子从差的公立学校出来 |
[19:36] | The Democrats won’t let them. | 民主党不想让他们那样 |
[19:37] | Oh, that’s right, | 哦 那好 |
[19:37] | the big, bad Democrats don’t want to take money away from public schools to give them to private schools. | 夸大 坏民主党不想资助他们从 公立学校到私立学校 |
[19:42] | What’s next, taking money away from police departments to pay for private security guards? | 下一个是什么 拿着钱从警察局出来到 私人保安公司? |
[19:47] | The federal government contributes about seven cents out of every dollar spent on public schools. | 联邦政府贡献 7分/美元 做为公立学校支出 |
[19:52] | Now, if you enact every bit of the Santos education plan, | 现在 想对Santos 的教育计划立法的各位 |
[19:56] | then that will go up to eight cents. | 得为那增加到8分钱 |
[19:59] | Do you really think you get to call yourself the Education President | 你真的认为那能称做总统训练? |
[20:02] | if you’re only going to cover half the education budget? | 如果你仅仅想要得到政府预算的一半 |
[20:05] | Well, the federal share is much higher than that if you include headstart, | 好吧如果包括你的“绩优股”这个预算是高 |
[20:08] | and I can understand why you don’t include headstart in the total of federal funding, Senator, | 我理解你为什么在联邦债券种不包括“绩优股”了 参议员 |
[20:12] | since you voted against it. | 自从你反对他 |
[20:13] | Headstart doesn’t work. | “绩优股”不起作用 |
[20:19] | I wish headstart did work, but it doesn’t. | 我希望他有作用 |
[20:21] | By grades four and five, headstart graduates do no better academically | 在理论上“绩优股”只得了第四或第五级 |
[20:26] | than their equally poor classmates who didn’t attend headstart. | 与贫困的同学相比谁会在意“绩优股” |
[20:29] | So yes, I have voted against expansions of an 8-billion… 6-billion dollar program | 所以 是的 我反对提高80亿…60亿的预算 |
[20:36] | that’s not raising academic achievement. | 那并不能提高“成绩” |
[20:38] | Headstart does raise scores in the early years and then we let them slip. | “绩优股”在我们让他们滑坡时在年初有过提高 |
[20:43] | Our whole school system has been slipping for years and | 我们的整体学校体制正在 |
[20:46] | our rankings with other countries in math and science achievement… | 落后于和我们实力一样的其他国家… |
[20:49] | we’ve got to find a way to turn that around. | 我们必须扭转这个局面 |
[20:52] | If we provide the school systems and teachers with everything they need and the flexibility to experiment with fresh new approaches, | 如果我们用新理念来让学校和老师做 他们想做的各种实验 |
[20:59] | I think that American students can be number one in the world in math and science in ten years. | 我想在10年内美国学生在数学和科学上 的成绩会是世界第一 |
[21:04] | – That’s a lie. – You’re a liar! | – 那是个谎言 – 你是说谎者 |
[21:06] | Please. Ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们先生们 请… |
[21:08] | I think we should impose the original rules on the audience, | 我想我们曾规定过观众要求 |
[21:10] | and I’m afraid going to have to ask you to please, for the sake of the candidates, | 为了候选人我不得不再次告诉你们 |
[21:14] | to remain silent for the rest of the debate. | 在辩论期间请保持安静 |
[21:18] | And Senator Vinick, | Vinick参议员 |
[21:19] | we have managed to keep a civil tone throughout this discussion | 我们会在整个讨论中维持这种气氛 |
[21:22] | and unless we can continue to do that, | 除非我们继续开始讨论 |
[21:24] | then I’m going to impose the original rules on the candidates as well. | 如果候选人也那样 我将强制执行规则 |
[21:31] | It’s a lie that every President, Democrat and Republican, | 美国总统都在说谎 不管是民主党还是共和党 |
[21:34] | has been telling for 20 years: we’re going to be number 1 in ten years. | 已经说了20年: 我们会在10年内成为世界第一 |
[21:39] | Go ahead, Google it right now. | 不信 用google搜索一下就明白 |
[21:41] | I’m not saying that every President knew it was a lie when he said it | 我不说 每位总统也明白自己在说谎 |
[21:44] | or that Congressman Santos knows it’s not true, but I do. | 或许 Santos众议员认为那不是真的 但我信 |
[21:49] | So let me tell you what our goals should be – our realistic goals. | 所以让我告诉你们我们的目标 就是 – 我们实现目标 |
[21:52] | First of all, let’s stop pretending that everyone can or should go to college. | 首先 我们停止假装每个人能或者应该去大学 |
[21:57] | Every airline needs high-paid mechanics and none of them have to go to college. | 每个航空公司都需要高薪机械师 并没有要求他们都上过大学 |
[22:02] | There are plumbers in some parts of the country that make a better living than dentists. | 还有这个国家一些地区的水管工 生活的甚至比牙医要好 |
[22:06] | Now, I’m not talking about lowering our ambitions. | 现在我不是说贬低我们的实力 |
[22:09] | I’m talking about targeting our ambitions correctly. | 我在正视我们的实力 |
[22:13] | Now, it’s true: | 真相是: |
[22:14] | some other countries have raised their academic standards over and above what they were once. | 一些国家曾经超过过他们的标准 |
[22:21] | But we still have the best scientists in the world, the best doctors, | 但是我们仍拥有世界上一流的科学家 医生 |
[22:26] | and by far the most Nobel prizes. | 和目前为止最多的诺贝尔获奖者 |
[22:29] | If a kid does well in one of those foreign high schools, | 如果在国外的高等学府中有优秀的孩子 |
[22:32] | guess where he or she wants to go to college. | 猜猜他或她会去那所大学 |
[22:35] | That’s right; Harvard, Stanford, Cal-Tech, the University of Texas, and a hundred other | 哈佛 斯坦福 卡罗里技术学院 德州大学 或其他上百个学院 |
[22:40] | American universities that are better than anything they have in their countries. | 美国大学比其他国家的都要好 |
[22:45] | So, if we’re going to have a practical approach to education, | 所以 如果我们有实际教育经验 |
[22:48] | we’re going to have to admit that not every one can go to MIT. | 我们不得不承认不是人人都能进麻省理工. |
[22:52] | But most of the kids who do go to MIT come from American public schools. | 但多数美国公立学校的学生都想进麻省理工 |
[22:57] | So, give up on headstart, just give up on early education, | 所以 放弃“绩优股” 仅仅放弃早期教育 |
[23:00] | and then give up on those kids who don’t test well. | 放弃那些测验差的孩子 |
[23:03] | They’ll find their way, don’t worry about them. | 他们如何寻找出路 不考虑他们 |
[23:04] | I’m not going to give up on public schools. | 我不是要放弃公立学校 |
[23:06] | Well, you haven’t proposed a single thing that will make them better – not one new idea. | 那好 你没有提议唯一可以使他们更好一点建议 – 没有新方法 |
[23:11] | I’m going to keep trying new ideas. | 我将继续尝试新方法 |
[23:13] | Some might work, some might not, | 一些能执行 一些或许不能 |
[23:15] | and I’ll level with you about that. | 我会一视同仁 |
[23:17] | We’ll keep the good ideas and get rid of the bad. | 我们去伪存真 |
[23:19] | And I won’t let a day go by in this White House where I don’t work hard to improve our public schools. | 我一天在白宫 我会不遗余力的为公立学校争取 |
[23:27] | In fact, I’m going to stake my Presidency on that, right here, right now. | 事实上我会为此赌上我的总统职务 此时 此地 |
[23:32] | And if in four years from now, you don’t think I’ve improved public education | 如果现在开始的4年 你们不想我改进我们国家的公立教育 |
[23:36] | in this country then do not vote for my reelection. | 那就不要向我投票 |
[23:41] | Gentlemen, let’s talk about health care. | 先生们 我们来谈谈健康保险 |
[23:48] | Senator Vinick, there are now 45 million Americans who have no health insurance at all. | Vinick参议员现在有4千5百万美国人没有健康保险 |
[23:53] | So what can the government do to see that these people get affordable health care? | 那么政府做什么 才能看到这些人们付得起健康保险? |
[23:57] | Make it tax deductible; instantly cuts the price by as much as 35%. | 从税收中扣除; 降低35%税收 |
[24:02] | That just happens to be one of the items in my tax cut package. | 那恰好是我减税政策里的一项 |
[24:05] | You really think tax cuts are the answer to everything. | 你真的以为减税能回答一切? |
[24:08] | – If it’s deductible… – That won’t help at all. | – 如果扣除… – 那不能什么都可能做到 |
[24:10] | Those people are in the 35% bracket, Senator, not the 10% bracket. | 那些人民包括在35% 参议员 不是10% |
[24:14] | So your deduction would only give them a 10% discount. | 那你的减税只给了他们10%的优惠 |
[24:18] | That means that a $10,000 policy would cost $9,000. | 意思是10000美元的支出有9000美元的成本 |
[24:22] | Does that sound like something a mother of 3 making 30,000 a year…? | 停起来像一位母亲一年打3份工挣30000… |
[24:26] | So, after you’ve raised taxes and after you’ve enacted the Santos Health Care plan | 所以 在你颁布Santos健康保险计划 和增税以后 |
[24:31] | then all the health care problems in America will be solved, right? | 所有的健康保险难题都会解决 对吗? |
[24:34] | Everyone will have health insurance, everyone will be happy. | 人人都有健康保险 人人都会快乐 |
[24:36] | No, but it will move us toward universal health coverage. | 不 但它能鼓励我们扩大健康保险覆盖面 |
[24:39] | Toward universal coverage, so it won’t cover… | 扩大健康保险覆盖面 所以它会隐藏… |
[24:41] | – It will be a very large… – very large step toward… | – 那将是巨大的… – 巨大的改革… |
[24:46] | So after you’ve enacted the plan that you’re proposing here tonight, | 所以今晚你打算在这里颁布你的健康计划 |
[24:50] | how many people would still be left without… | 有多少人仍然停薪留… |
[24:52] | The first stage of my plan would cover 15 million people. | 我的计划第一步包括1千5百万人 |
[24:54] | 15 million? | 1千5百万? |
[24:55] | 15 million, which represents the single biggest increase in health care insurance | 1千5百万, 那些代表健康保险的单一增长 |
[25:01] | that the federal government has ever… | 会在联邦政府中不断… |
[25:02] | So, after raising taxes and creating a massive new bureaucracy | 那么增税后和新的官僚作风 |
[25:06] | to run a complex government in health insurance program, | 会让健康保险难题继续在混乱的政府存在 |
[25:10] | the Santos health plan will leave thirty million people without health insurance. | Santos 健康保险计划将剩下的3千为人排除在外 |
[25:15] | Do you really think Congress is going to let you do all that and not even solve 50% of the problem? | 你真的认为国会会全票通过连 50%的问题都解决不了的议案? |
[25:23] | To tell you the truth, I’m not crazy about my health care plan, either. | 告诉你们一个事实 我没有疯狂的忙于我的健康保险计划 或者 |
[25:27] | It’s what I think can get through Congress, but my ideal plan is very simple: | 考虑什么能让国会通过 但是我的计划很简单: |
[25:33] | just delete the phrase ‘over 65’ from the Medicare statute. | 就是从医疗保险法令上删除“over 65” (额外65)这个词 |
[25:39] | You would let everyone in the country go on Medicare? | 你想让每个人都上法令? |
[25:42] | Why not? You want to start the whole, socialized medicine rap with me? | 为什么不? 你想用整体 社会化的医疗 制度来斥责我? |
[25:46] | Well, yeah, for starters. | 好 是的 按钮(指时间到) |
[25:47] | You see, this is never going to happen because Senator Vinick… | 你们看 这从没发生过 因为Vinick参议员… |
[25:51] | Uh, no, sir. | 嗯 不 阁下 |
[25:52] | They can’t hear me. | 他们听不到 |
[25:54] | Sir. | 阁下 |
[25:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:57] | because Senator Vinick and the insurance companies are never going to let it happen. | 因为Vinick参议员和保险公司从不 让那发生 |
[26:01] | But if you all had the option, the option, of using Medicare, | 但如果你有选择权 在医疗制度中的选择权 |
[26:06] | you could save a lot of money. | 你可以节省许多钱 |
[26:08] | Private insurance companies, they spend about 25% of your money on administrative costs, on paperwork. | 私人保险公司他们在你的保险文书管理上支付大概25% |
[26:16] | Do you know how much, anyone want to guess, how much Medicare spends on administrative costs. | 你知道那是多少 每个人都猜猜 在医疗保险制度文书管理上支付多少钱? |
[26:21] | 35%! | |
[26:22] | Sorry? | 对不起? |
[26:23] | 35%. | |
[26:25] | Anyone else? | 还有吗? |
[26:29] | You would think that it would be higher than the private companies, right? | 你认为那比私人公司还高, 对吗? |
[26:33] | A massive, government bureaucracy can’t be more efficient than the private companies, right? | 沉重的 官僚的政府不能与私人保险公司相比 对吧? |
[26:38] | The Republicans have been telling you that forever. | 共和党永远那样讲 |
[26:42] | Two. | |
[26:44] | That’s right, 2%. Medicare’s administrative costs are 2%, | 对 2% 医疗保险制度规定只有2% |
[26:49] | that’s 23% lower than private insurance companies and HMOs. | 比私人公司和卫生健康组织低23% |
[26:53] | The best kept secret in the world – in our country – | 这是世界上都在保守的秘密 在我们国家 |
[26:57] | is that Medicare is the most efficient health care system in the world. | 有世界上最完善的医疗保险制度 |
[27:01] | Now, if you had the option of choosing Medicare instead of your private insurance companies and HMOs, | 现在如果你有权选择了私人公司或卫生健康组织 |
[27:06] | you would save big money – at least 20%. | 你得准备一大笔钱 至少20% |
[27:09] | That’s crazy. Medicare taxes would skyrocket. | 你太疯狂了 医疗保险税就像流星. |
[27:11] | Well, yes, the Medicare tax would have to go up | 好 是的 医疗保险税不得不增长 |
[27:13] | but it still would be much lower than health insurance premiums are now. | 但它仍大大低于医疗保险的额外费用 |
[27:18] | Look, I don’t know about you, but if you give me a choice | 看 我不知道你会怎么选 但如果给我机会 |
[27:20] | between paying for something called a premium and something called a tax, | 我会支付某些称之为税的保险费 |
[27:24] | my only question’s going to be ‘Which one’s cheaper?’ | 我只问一个问题 “哪个更便宜” |
[27:26] | I literally don’t know where to begin. | 按字面理解 我不知道从那开始 |
[27:28] | I mean, to force everyone in the country to go to… | 我的意思是强迫大家在这个国家去… |
[27:30] | Well, I wouldn’t… I wouldn’t force everyone, | 好吧我会… 我不会强迫大家 |
[27:32] | just give them the option; | 只是给他们选择权 |
[27:33] | see what happens with the HMOs when they have to compete with an efficient system | 当他们 卫生组织和有效体制竞赛 看看会发生什么 |
[27:38] | that continues to allow you to choose your own doctor and to make your own health care decisions. | 允许选择自己的医生还是参加保险 |
[27:44] | Are you finished? | 你完了吗? |
[27:44] | Because if you have anything sensible to say about health care, I’d sure like… | 因为如果你有明智的选择 我肯定… |
[27:47] | Well, coming from someone who has no health care plan at all, | 很好 有没有什么人更本没有保险计划 |
[27:51] | who has spent a career saying no, no, no, to every health care reform | 谁会用尽毕生对每项健康保险改革说不 不 不 |
[27:55] | – that has ever come to Congress… – Do you have another one of these microphones? | – 那会不断的让国会… – 你们还有麦克风吗? |
[27:59] | You gentlemen aren’t going to go out into the audience, are you? | 你们不打算出去接受见观众 对吧? |
[28:03] | Let me leave it at this: | 我会在这留着: |
[28:05] | I’m opposed to Congressman Santos’s compromise and to his dream plan. | 我反对Santors众议员的妥协和梦想计划 |
[28:10] | And I pledge to you here tonight: I will never raise the Medicare tax, not one penny. | 今晚我向你们保证: 我永远不会增加哪怕一分钱的医疗保险税 |
[28:16] | Senator, you’re on Medicare, right? | 参议员 你在推动医疗保险制度 对吗? |
[28:18] | I’m on the Senate Health Care plan. | 我在推动参议院医疗保险计划 |
[28:19] | And you use Medicare as a supplement to that plan? | 并且你使用医疗保障作为对计划的补充? |
[28:21] | Yes, but I have… | 是的 但是我… |
[28:22] | Well, Medicare is good enough for Senator Vinick but it’s not good enough for us? | 哦 那医疗保险制度对 Vinick参议员足够好 对我们就不够好吗? |
[28:26] | If we could all have the option to join Medicare | 如果我们全都选择参加医疗保险 |
[28:28] | it would be a much cheaper, much more efficient health care system. | 那会更加便宜 健康保险会更加有效. |
[28:32] | Senator, let me ask you about a related issue which is prescription drug prices | 参议员, 我想问你一个关于处方药价格问题 |
[28:36] | and those prices have been going up at a rate more than double the inflation rate. | 那些价格增长甚至暴涨了两倍 |
[28:40] | So, would you favor re-importing American drugs from Canada where they are much cheaper? | 你倾向与从加拿大再进口处方药 因为他们那里便宜? |
[28:45] | You know why drugs are cheaper in Canada; because the government controls the price. | 你知道为什么加拿大的处方药便宜 因为他们由政府控制价格 |
[28:51] | Do you know how many life-saving drugs are invented in Canada? | 你知道有多少种救生用麻醉药是加拿大生产? |
[28:54] | None, because the government controls the price. | 一个也没有 还是因为政府控制价格 |
[28:57] | Well, Canadian laboratories have helped to create some very important drugs. | 那好 加拿大实验室有帮助研制这些重要药品 |
[29:00] | No, nothing like the miraculous drugs that the American pharmaceutical industry has given to the world. | 不 美国制药业给于世界的奇迹药品无可比拟 |
[29:04] | Given to the world? | 给于世界? |
[29:05] | I guess you haven’t seen the price list lately, sir. | 阁下我猜你最近可能没看价格清单. |
[29:11] | Not long ago, if you were HIV positive in this country you were marked for death. | 不久前 在这个国家如果你得了艾滋病 肯定必死无疑 |
[29:17] | Not anymore. | 现在不会了 |
[29:18] | And that’s thanks to our pharmaceutical companies. | 那得感谢我们的制药公司 |
[29:21] | You know, in the 1970s, the most common cause for surgery was ulcers. | 你们知道吗 在1970年 最普通溃疡都得手术 |
[29:27] | Now, you get an ulcer, you take a pill. | 现在 你得了溃疡 只需口服药丸 |
[29:30] | Is it an expensive pill? | 药丸贵吗? |
[29:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:33] | A dollar does seem like a lot to pay for one pill. | 似乎可以买很多种1美元一个药丸 |
[29:37] | But how does a dollar a day sound compared to a $30,000 surgery bill? | 但如果拿一美元和30000美元的手术比呢? |
[29:43] | So, are prescription drugs expensive? Yes. | 所以处方药贵吗? 是 |
[29:46] | Do they save us from getting hit with much more expensive hospital bills? Yes. | 他们能从医院昂贵帐单的打击中拯救我们? 是的 |
[29:50] | Do they save lives? Yes. | 他们能救命? 是的 |
[29:53] | American pharmaceutical companies save us money and they save lives | 美国制药公司救了我的钱和命 |
[29:58] | and the Democrats can not stop attacking them. | 民主党不能抨击他们 |
[30:01] | Why should the pharmaceutical industries get protection that no other American industry gets? | 为什么制药产业得到其它美国产业不得到的保护? |
[30:06] | We can buy anything else from Canada; why not prescription drugs? | 我们可以从加拿大购买任何东西 为什么不是处方药物? |
[30:09] | Because the Canadian price controls are unfair to American companies. | 因为加拿大控制价格对美国公司不公 |
[30:13] | They’re unfair? | 他们不公? |
[30:13] | Yes, they are. | 是 他们是 |
[30:14] | Well, is it unfair that AIDS victims have been dying for Africa for years | 那好 那对那些将死的非洲艾滋病受害人也不公平 |
[30:18] | because the drug companies are protecting their profit margins? | 因为制药公司要保护药品利润不受损? |
[30:20] | Drug-makers have lowered their prices in Africa dramatically. | 处方药在非洲的价格已经降低了很多 |
[30:23] | Yes, only after we have pushed them to do it | 是啊 是在我们推动他们降价以后 |
[30:25] | and they are still not lower to reach everyone who really needs them in Africa. | 在非洲它们仍然没有降到 每个人都能接受的价格 |
[30:28] | People are not dying in Africa now because of our drug companies. | |
[30:33] | They’re dying because they don’t have clean water supplies | 他们垂死是因为他们没有干净的饮水源 |
[30:36] | and because they don’t have a basic infrastructure for health care | 还因为他们没有最基本的健康医疗保障 |
[30:39] | and because their governments are corrupt. | 他们政府的腐败 |
[30:42] | And they often prevent the help that we’re trying to bring to the sick people from getting to them. | 他们经常阻止那些要去帮助生病人民的人 |
[30:47] | Well, yes, health care delivery in Africa is weak | 哦 是 健康保险在非洲普及微乎其微 |
[30:51] | which is why we have to provide full-scale debt relief for all of those countries | 那就是我们为什么要为那些国家免除全部债务 |
[30:56] | so that they can concentrate on building their basic infrastructure | 他们集中精力建造基础设施 |
[30:59] | instead of the impossible burden of paying back loans to the rich countries of the world. | 取代向世界富国支付贷款 |
[31:03] | Debt relief is a nice idea but it won’t help. | 减轻债务是个好主意但那没有帮助 |
[31:05] | It will just formalize the reality that poor countries can never repay their loans. | 形式上是那些贫穷国家从未回报那些贷款 |
[31:11] | Senator, are you saying you’re opposed to debt relief for impoverished countries? | 参议员 你是说你反对免除贫穷国家的债务? |
[31:15] | No. We should forgive the debts but it’s not going to help… | 不是 我们可以宽免那些债务但那没有帮助… |
[31:17] | that’s not going to help those countries very much. | 对那些国家不是很有帮助 |
[31:20] | Okay, what will? | 那好 什么有? |
[31:22] | Tax cuts. | 减税 |
[31:32] | Some African tax rates are the highest in the world. | 有些非洲国家的税是世界上最高的 |
[31:36] | In Tanzania, the 30% rate kicks in at $475 of income | 在坦桑尼亚 收入够475美元就要缴纳30%的税 |
[31:42] | plus this 20% value added that they put onto everything. | 在这之外的收入还要加20%的税 |
[31:47] | Those high tax rates have made it impossible to build capital in those countries. | 这么高的税使那些国家的人不可能拥有资本 |
[31:51] | So, as a result, nothing gets built; not roads, not factories, not anything. | 所以一样的原因 没什么建筑 公路 工厂 什么都没有 |
[31:58] | Poor African countries have the lowest wage workers in the world, | 贫穷的非洲人拿着世界上最低的工资 |
[32:03] | but a company like Nike, for instance, can’t put a factory in there | 但是像NIKE公司 举个例子 不在那里设厂 |
[32:08] | because of those oppressive tax rates. | 因为他们过重的税率 |
[32:10] | Taxes have killed any possibility of economic development. | 税务抹杀了经济发展的一切可能 |
[32:14] | They’ve killed any hope of those countries helping themselves. | 抹杀了些国家的人民的所有希望 |
[32:18] | And the result is they become completely dependant on charities, on loans. | 并且这个结果使他们变得完全地依赖于慈善贷款。 |
[32:25] | You know… here’s the worst part: | 你们知道… 这是最坏的部分 |
[32:28] | you know why those tax rates are so high? | 你们知道为什么税率那么高? |
[32:31] | Because of us. | 因为我们 |
[32:33] | Because they have to prove to us that they can raise enough money to pay back their loans. | 因为他们必须证明对我们能筹集足够金钱给他们款。 |
[32:39] | But taxes can’t raise any money if they kill the economy. | 但如果他们扼杀经济抬升税率也不能筹集金钱 |
[32:43] | So, it turns out that the tragic, unattended consequence | 所以 不重视的后果结果很惨 |
[32:47] | of our good intentions toward Africa – our kindness – | 我们好意为了非洲 我们的仁慈 |
[32:53] | is that we have encouraged those countries | 是我们鼓励那些国家 |
[32:55] | to lock themselves into an economic depression. | 他们自己陷入经济萧条 |
[32:59] | If we don’t urge those countries to lower their tax rates, | 如果我们不督促他们降低税率 |
[33:02] | they will never grow their economies. | 他们永远不会增长自己的经济 |
[33:05] | People will live lifetimes of unemployment. Disease will be rampant. | 人们终生失业疾病缠身 |
[33:11] | Poverty will be permanent. Children will be hungry. | 贫困困扰 孩子们挨饿 |
[33:16] | And our charity will never be enough. Never. | 我们的施舍将永远不够 永远 |
[33:24] | I’d like to turn to jobs, right here at home. | 我喜欢致力于工作 在这里 在家 |
[33:27] | Congressman Santos, many Americans are very afraid that their jobs are going to be outsourced | Santos众议员许多美国人害怕自己工作 被外来势力冲击 |
[33:33] | to other countries that have low wages or that their jobs are just going to be lost | 在别的国家他们正失去那些低工资的工作 |
[33:38] | to companies in another round of belt-tightening. | 各个公司都在节约开支 |
[33:41] | So, what would you do as President to increase job security? | 那么 你要是当总统你会用什么方法 加强就业安全感? |
[33:45] | Well, Forrest, we already have a program call Trade Adjustment Assistance | 好的 Forrest我们已经有了计划称之为 商业调整补助 |
[33:49] | which provides job retraining to those workers who have lost their jobs to foreign trade. | 在对外贸易中谁失去他们的工作给谁提供 再次培训的机会 |
[33:55] | I would add to that as President: any workers who lose their jobs to outsourcing. | 我会把它补充到我的纲要如果当总统 任何一个工人如果在对外的贸易中失去工作 |
[34:00] | My economic program and my plan to keep American workers competitive | 我的经济纲要和计划会协助美国工人 |
[34:04] | will build upon President Bartlet’s extraordinary job creation record | 那将建造在Bartlet总统的非凡工作履历上 |
[34:07] | and I think it will keep us on track to create another million jobs | 并且我认为在我的第一总统任期期间 |
[34:11] | in my first term as President. | 它继续循路而行创造百万个工作 |
[34:12] | – A million jobs? – That’s right. | – 一百万个就业? – 对 |
[34:14] | How many jobs would you create in your first term, Senator? | 参议员你的第一总统任期会创造多少就业? |
[34:17] | None. | 一个也没有 |
[34:21] | In fact, I’ll cut jobs. | 事实上 我会减少就业 |
[34:25] | I will reduce the number of jobs in the federal government. | 我将在联邦政府减少数字性的工作 |
[34:28] | I know I’m supposed to tell you that my tax cuts will stimulate | 我知道我应该假设告诉你我的减税政策 |
[34:31] | the economy and therefore create jobs. | 将刺激经济 创造就业 |
[34:35] | Entrepreneurs create jobs. Business creates jobs. | 企业家创造就业 商人创造就业 |
[34:39] | The President’s job is to get out of the way. | 总统的工作是从那种方式中脱离 |
[34:42] | Do you want a President who will get out of their way | 从那种方式中脱离 你们需要这样的总统吗 |
[34:45] | when corrupt executives are plundering a company like Enron? | 像安龙公司那样让腐败的董事会掠夺公司 |
[34:48] | Hey, I’ll go after corporate crime. | 嘿 我会在公司犯罪后进行 |
[34:49] | My running mate, Ray Sullivan, was very tough on white-collar crime | 我的竞选伙伴 Ray Sullivan对待白领犯罪非常强硬 |
[34:53] | when he was a prosecutor and my Attorney General will be just as tough. | 他将是我的首席检察官和检举人 |
[34:56] | Do you want a President to get out of the way when airline executives are putting | 当航空公司董事会正准备投入而总统确不闻不问 |
[35:01] | their companies into bankruptcy so that they can avoid the pension responsibilities | 他们面临破产 所以他们能逃避退休金责任 |
[35:05] | to the workers who have dedicated their lives to those companies? | 就业者谁能专注的在那些公司渡过? |
[35:08] | Some of our older airlines are having trouble meeting their huge pension obligations | 一些老牌航空公司遇到巨大退休金义务会有麻烦 |
[35:14] | at the very same time when they’re facing intense competition from low-cost airlines | 当他们用廉价的定期航线粉饰激烈竞争的同时 |
[35:19] | that are so new they don’t yet have pensions to pay. | 是因为新近仍没有支付养老金 |
[35:24] | Now, an unthinking liberal will describe the airline bankruptcies | 现在, 一个无思想的自由主义者将描述航空公司破产 |
[35:27] | as the evil capitalists screwing the workers. | 象邪恶资本家压榨工作者 |
[35:30] | I didn’t say that, Senator, and I don’t think you should put words in my mouth. | 我没那样讲 我不认为你应该在我的嘴里固定词语 |
[35:32] | No. Of course you didn’t say it. | 不 你当然没那么说 |
[35:33] | You’re not an unthinking liberal. Are you? | 你不是一个无思想的自由主义者 你是吗? |
[35:37] | I know you like to use that word ‘liberal’ as if it were a crime. | 如果它犯过罪我知道你会利用那个词“自由主义者” |
[35:41] | No. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have used that word. | 不我很抱歉. 我不该用那个词 |
[35:43] | I know Democrats think liberal is a bad word. So bad you had to change it. | 我知道民主党认为那是个坏词 所以坏的你想换掉它 |
[35:47] | What do you call yourselves now, progressives? Is that it? | 现在你们称自己是什么 改革者? 是那个吗? |
[35:50] | It’s true. | 是真实 |
[35:50] | Republicans have tried to turn liberal into a bad word. | 共和党试图在坏词中扭转自由主义者 |
[35:54] | Well, liberals ended slavery in this country. | 那好 自由主义者结束了这个国家的奴隶制度 |
[35:57] | A Republican President ended slavery. | 一个共和党的总统结束了奴隶制度 |
[36:01] | Yes, a liberal Republican, Senator. | 是 一个自由主义共和党人 参议员 |
[36:05] | What happened to them? | 他们发生了什么? |
[36:07] | They got run out of your party. | 他们脱离了你们的党派 |
[36:08] | What did liberals do that was so offensive to the liberal party? | 是什么让自由主义者讨厌自由主义党派? |
[36:11] | I’ll tell you what they did. | 我会告诉你们他们做了什么 |
[36:13] | Liberals got women the right to vote. | 自由主义者得到妇女投票 |
[36:15] | Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. | 自由主义者得到了非洲裔美国人的投票 |
[36:18] | Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. | 自由主义者创造社会保险和数百万中老年人 脱离贫穷 |
[36:23] | Liberals ended segregation. | 自由主义者结束了种族隔离制度 |
[36:25] | Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. | 自由主义者通过了民权行动 选举权行动 |
[36:28] | Liberals created Medicare. | 自由主义者创造了医疗保险制度 |
[36:30] | Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. | 自由主义者通过了空气清洁法案 清洁水法案 |
[36:33] | What did Conservatives do? | 保守派都做了什么? |
[36:36] | They opposed them on every one of those things – every one. | 他们反对他们的每一件事 每一件 |
[36:39] | So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, ‘Liberal,’ | 所以当你试着把那个标签丢在我脚边 “自由主义者” |
[36:42] | as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, | 好像它是什么羞愧 肮脏 失控的事 |
[36:45] | it won’t work, Senator, | 那不起作用 参议员 |
[36:47] | because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor. | 因为我会捡起标签 并以佩戴它为荣 |
[36:58] | I believe it’s a Republican governor who’s imposed a moratorium on the death penalty in Illinois. | 我相信一个共和党的州长在伊利诺斯州强行 延期死刑的执行. |
[37:03] | And so Congressman, would you favor a moratorium on the federal death penalty? | 所以众议员, 你倾向延期执行联邦死刑? |
[37:07] | Yes. | 是 |
[37:10] | That’s it? | 就那样? |
[37:11] | That’s it. | 就那样 |
[37:14] | Okay, Senator Vinick? | 好的 Vinick参议员呢? |
[37:15] | No. | 不 |
[37:17] | That’s it? | 就那样? |
[37:20] | I think we’ve covered that one. | 我认为我们对那有所隐瞒 |
[37:22] | All right, let’s try gun control. | 那好吧 我们来试试枪支管制 |
[37:25] | Senator Vinick, do we need more of it? | Vinick参议员 我们需要为那做什么吗? |
[37:26] | No. | 不 |
[37:27] | The Constitution gives us the right to bear arms. | 宪法赋予我们携带武器的权利 |
[37:30] | It’s not up to the President to choose which law-abiding citizens the Constitution applies to. | 不是一直到总统选择那个是宪法规定的守法的公民 |
[37:36] | Congressman? | 众议员? |
[37:36] | I think we should forget about more gun control. What we need is bullet control. | 我认为我们应该忽略更多的枪支管理 我们需要弹药管理 |
[37:41] | That’s right. | 就是那样 |
[37:42] | There are at least 100… 200 million guns in this country. | 这个国家至少有1亿…2亿支枪 |
[37:46] | I own three of them. | 我就有3支 |
[37:48] | We cannot control the supply of guns in this country | 我们不能控制这个国家的枪支供应 |
[37:52] | but we can control the supply of ammunition. | 但我们能控制弹药供应 |
[37:54] | Buying bullets should not be easier than buying a plane ticket. | 购买子弹应该不比购买飞机票容易 |
[37:58] | We should license the purchase of handgun ammunition. | 我们可以特许购买手枪子弹 |
[38:01] | There should be a clear, ID record of every handgun ammo purchase. | 那就很很清楚子弹购买者的身份证 |
[38:06] | We’re in the 21st Century. | 我们身处21世纪 |
[38:08] | Homicide detectives should be able to trace every fired bullet back to the buyer in minutes. | 刑侦人员都具有在几分钟内通过每一颗 射击过的子弹的追踪购买者的才能 |
[38:14] | Gentlemen, let’s talk about energy. | 先生们 让我们谈谈能源. |
[38:16] | We have seen record high gasoline prices this year, | 我们都看到今年的汽油价格居高不下 |
[38:18] | so is this a glimpse of an even worse future if we don’t adopt a policy | 如果我们不采取措施这种情形会更加恶劣 |
[38:23] | to meet our energy needs at reasonable prices, Congressman? | 怎样符合我们的能源需求于合理价格 众议员? |
[38:25] | Well, yes it’s obvious that it’s time for us to get really serious | 好 它是明显的让我们严肃面对的时间 |
[38:28] | about developing alternative energy sources | 关于开发可选择能源 |
[38:31] | and stop letting the oil companies dictate our policy for us while they rack up record high profits. | 当他们获得高额利润时候 我们的方针指示我们 停止出租石油公司 |
[38:36] | There you go again! The Democratic Party line: | 你又来了 民主党的方针 |
[38:38] | – attack big business, attack the oil companies. – I’m not attacking the oil companies. | – 抨击大贸易 抨击石油公司 – 我没有抨击石油公司 |
[38:42] | Oh, yes, you are. | 哦 是的 你有 |
[38:42] | Look Arnie, I understand that the oil companies have given your campaign a lot of money. | 看看Arnie, 我明白那石油公司为你的竞选出了许多钱 |
[38:46] | What, so I’m their puppet? Huh? Is that what you’re saying, that they own me? | 什么 我是他们的傀儡吗? 啊? 你是那样说的, 他们拥有我? |
[38:50] | Gentlemen, let’s get back to the issue… | 先生们让我们回到问题… |
[38:51] | No, no, no. | 不 不 不 |
[38:52] | He doesn’t get to smear me and then run away. | 他不能诽谤我后就逃了 |
[38:54] | I’m not smearing you. | 我没有诽谤你 |
[38:55] | – Gentlemen… – That’s exactly what you’re trying to do. | – 先生们… – 那更确切了你那样做令人生厌 |
[38:56] | – Gentlemen, let’s take a breath… – No, no, no. | – 先生们 让我们深呼吸… – 不 不 不 |
[38:59] | – Let’s talk about this right now. – Senator… | – 让我们现在就谈谈这个 – 参议员… |
[39:01] | Well, he raised it, I think I have a right to respond. | 好 他挑起的 我想我该正确回应 |
[39:07] | All right, sir. Go ahead. | 那好吧 阁下 继续 |
[39:10] | I’ve disclosed the every name of the 220,000 people who have contributed to my campaign. | 谁为我的竞选捐款了 我得透露22万人的名字 |
[39:17] | There are no secrets about where my campaign money comes from. | 我的竞选基金都在这里头没有秘密 |
[39:21] | Some of my contributors work for oil companies. Now Liberals want you to think that’s evil. | 我的竞选捐助者有一些在石油公司工作 现在自由主义者想要认为那是邪恶的 |
[39:27] | They want you to think you can’t be a good American if you work for an oil company. | 他们认为你们在石油公司工作就不可能是 一个好美国人 |
[39:31] | I can remember when people were condemned in this country for what they thought, | 我能记住当人们在这个国家被谴责 |
[39:35] | condemned for their political positions. | 他们会思考什么 谴责他们的政治立场 |
[39:37] | Liberals fought the noble fight against that witch hunt. | 自由主义者与贵族战斗反对那政治迫害。 |
[39:41] | Liberals said it was un-American and they were right. | 自由主义者说那是反美国的 他们是对的 |
[39:45] | Now Liberals want to condemn people because of where they work? | 现在自由主义者为了他们的工作而声讨人民? |
[39:48] | Hey, I have got relatives who are working all over the oil fields of Texas, sir. | 嘿 我有亲戚为德州油田工作 阁下 |
[39:55] | I am just saying that your positions on energy are exactly what the oil companies want to hear | 我只是说你的立场是站在能源之上 是正确的 是石油公司想要听的 |
[40:00] | and that’s why they’ve given so much to your campaign. | 那就是为什么他们给你的竞选那么多的捐赠 |
[40:03] | And your position on spending, on creating new government jobs, | 并且你的位置在花费 在创造新政府工作 |
[40:07] | that’s exactly what the public employee unions want to hear | 那样也正确 是公务员联合会想听的 |
[40:10] | and that’s why they’ve poured money into your campaign. | 那是他们为你的竞选注入资金的原因 |
[40:14] | – If you want to talk about conflict of interest… – Well, who’s throwing cheap accusations now? | – 如果你想说的什么而引起冲突… – 那好 现在是谁在为那些不值得的事谴责? |
[40:17] | – Well, you started it. – Gentlemen, please. | – 是你先开始的 – 先生们 请… |
[40:18] | – I’m going to have to stop you… – I’m just trying to level… | – 我必须的制止你们… – 我只想一碗水端平… |
[40:19] | Senator! | 参议员 |
[40:25] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[40:27] | Now, unless you’re prepared to prove, not just accuse but prove | 现在 除非你准备好证明 指责不仅仅是证明 |
[40:32] | with facts that your opponent is influenced by campaign contributions, | 事实上你的对手在竞选捐助上都是有影响的人 |
[40:37] | then let’s agree to move on. | 让我们继续进行 |
[40:42] | Congressman Santos, you’ve said that we have to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. | Santos众议员 你说过 我们得减少对外国石油的依赖 |
[40:46] | So, why not drill in Alaska’s Artic National Wildlife Refuge? | 所以 为什么不在阿拉斯加的野生动植物庇护所自动钻孔 |
[40:51] | Because we cannot drill our way to energy independence. | 因为我们不能钻孔 这于能源无关 |
[40:54] | There’s only about a year’s worth of oil there at best. | 就年产量来讲那里是最好的 |
[40:58] | I don’t think that’s worth disrupting a million years of ecological balance | 我可不想破坏那里百万年来形成的生态平衡 |
[41:02] | and a unique and spectacular wilderness. | 和独特的 壮观的茫茫旷野 |
[41:05] | – Senator. – That ecosystem is much more valuable than the oil that’s underneath it. | – 参议员 -那里的生态系统比地下的石油更具价值吗? |
[41:09] | I think that the pathway to a better, more sustainable oil future | 我认为这条路对比较好 可以支撑起石油的未来 |
[41:14] | does not go through the Artic National Wildlife Refuge. | 不必穿过Artic全国野生动植物庇护所 |
[41:17] | Excuse me, Senator. | 对不起 参议员 |
[41:19] | A year’s worth of oil? | 年产石油? |
[41:20] | That sounds like a lot to me and there could be more. | 那听起来很多 也许更多 |
[41:23] | There could be much more down there. We’ll never know until we get in there and start drilling. | 这底下有更多的 我们从钻探开始就更本不知道 那究竟有多少储量 |
[41:27] | I’m sure it’s a beautiful place. Have you ever been there? | 那是个非常美丽的地方 你没去过那儿 ? |
[41:32] | No. | 不 |
[41:32] | I haven’t either. Have you? Anyone? | 我也没有 你们呢? 任何人? |
[41:36] | Clap if you’ve been to the Artic National Wildlife Refuge. | 如果你为Artic全国野生动植物庇护所鼓掌 |
[41:41] | Uh-huh. | 嗯-哼 |
[41:43] | And that’s about as many people who will ever go to ANWR. | 象很多人一样谁会不断的想去ANWR |
[41:46] | None. | 没人. |
[41:47] | I mean, maybe a few very rich people will go up there with private planes | 我的意思 或许有富翁会打算坐私人飞机去 |
[41:51] | and snap some pictures in the summertime. | 他突然被阿拉斯加的夏日图片吸引 |
[41:53] | I mean, this ain’t the Grand Canyon we’re talking about. | 我的意思是我们不是在谈论巨大的峡谷 |
[41:57] | How many of you have been to the Grand Canyon? | 有多少是因为大峡谷? |
[42:04] | If they discovered big oil reserves in the Grand Canyon, | 如果他们在大峡谷发现大储量的原油 |
[42:08] | I’d never let them drill there because it’s our most magnificent natural monument | 我决不会让他们钻探 因为它是我们最华丽 宏伟的自然纪念碑 |
[42:13] | and because real people get to go there. | 因为它是世外桃源 |
[42:16] | They get to see it, they get to taste it, to touch it, to experience it in all its glory. | 他们欣赏它 体验它 触摸它 感受它 更加光荣 |
[42:21] | Now, you know, we’re talking about a country that has oil wells | 现在你知道 我们在谈论什么 那里有油井 |
[42:24] | within site of the beautiful beaches of Santa Barbara; | 在Santa Barbara的美丽的海滩的之内 |
[42:27] | oil wells within site of every Texas beach; | 油井遍布在德州的每个海滩 |
[42:31] | thousands of operating oil wells in the city of Los Angeles. | 洛衫矶有数千的操作油井 |
[42:35] | I just saw an oil well in the parking lot of a McDonalds in Long Beach the other day. | 有天我只是看到了长滩的麦当劳停车场一口油井 |
[42:43] | And now Democrats are saying we can’t put oil wells in a place so remote | 现在民主党人说他们不会在那么远的地方安置油井 |
[42:48] | that only the animals will see them? | 那仅仅是动物们会看到它们? |
[42:51] | I wish we could put all our oil wells up there, where no one could see them. | 我希望油井都安置在那儿 在哪里没有一个人会看到它 |
[42:59] | There are other approaches. | 还有其他途径 |
[43:01] | Congressman, would you support building more nuclear power plants | 众议员 你支持建造更多的核子能车间 |
[43:05] | to reduce our dependence on foreign energy? | 来减少对外国能源的依赖? |
[43:08] | Oh, no, Forrest, no. | 哦不 Forrest不 |
[43:09] | We still haven’t figured out what to do with the radioactive waste from the plants that we already have. | 我们已经有那些车间安放核废料 在那之外我们不需要 |
[43:15] | Nuclear power is a completely safe, dependable energy source. | 原子能是十分可靠 安全的能源 |
[43:19] | – Of course we should build more nuclear power plants. – Did you say ‘completely safe’? | – 当然我们会建许多核子能车间 – 你是说“十分安全”? |
[43:21] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[43:22] | I don’t want to be an alarmist here but there are plenty of obvious safety concerns. | 我不想在这大惊小怪 但是一涉及大量的安全保险问题 |
[43:26] | That’s why we stopped building them. | 那就是为什么我们要停止建造车间. |
[43:28] | The government should be supporting the development of alternative energy sources | 政府提供的可供发展的能源 |
[43:32] | and all of those new technologies that can harness solar power, wind power; | 全都是新能源 水力 太阳能 风力发电 |
[43:37] | all of those new, safer alternatives to nuclear power. | 全都是新型的比原子能安全 |
[43:41] | How about that, Senator; government support of alternative energy sources? | 那大概有多少 参议员 政府扶持的可供发展的能源 |
[43:45] | I don’t trust politicians to choose the right new energy sources. | 在对新型能源的选择上我不相信政客 |
[43:49] | I believe in the free market. | 我相信自由贸易 |
[43:52] | You know, the government didn’t switch us from whale oil to the oil found under the ground. | 你知道 政府不会用地下发现的原油来交换 我们的鲸鱼油. |
[43:57] | The market did that. | 贸易就可以 |
[43:59] | And the government didn’t make the Prius, the hottest selling car in Hollywood. | 政府不会提前制造在好莱坞热销的轿车 |
[44:03] | That was the market that did that. | 贸易就能做到 |
[44:05] | In L.A. now, the coolest thing you can drive is a hybrid. | 现在在L.A. 最酷的事就你能开一辆杂牌车 |
[44:09] | Well, if that’s what the free market can do in the most car-crazed culture on Earth, | 好吧 在这个地球上如果自由贸易能做出让汽车发狂的文化 |
[44:14] | then I trust the free market to solve our energy problems. | 我相信自由贸易能为我们带来新能源 |
[44:17] | You know, the market can change the way we think. It can change what we want. | 你们知道 贸易是改革之路 它能改变我们想要的 |
[44:26] | Government can’t do that. | 政府做不到 |
[44:27] | That’s why the market has always been a better problem-solver | 那就是为什么贸易是解决难题的最好方法 |
[44:31] | than government and it always will be. | 比起政府它是更好的 |
[44:33] | While you’re trusting the market, we’re burning fossil fuels every day | 当你相信贸易的时候,我们的矿石每天在燃烧 |
[44:37] | and the polar ice caps are just about ready to melt. | 两极的冰盖在融化 |
[44:40] | The same people who told you that we were going to run out of oil | 难道没谁告诉你我们即将用完石油 |
[44:43] | by the end of the 20th Century are now trying to scare us with global warming theories. | 在20世纪末 全球变暖曾引起恐慌 |
[44:47] | Theories? | 理论上? |
[44:47] | You don’t believe in the overwhelming, scientific research that’s… | 你不相信压倒性的科学调查是… |
[44:50] | No, you know what you’re talking about? | 不 你知道你在说什么? |
[44:52] | You’re talking about one degree change in the Earth’s temperature in the last hundred years. | 你在说近百年来地球的温度只有1℃的变化 |
[44:55] | – Senator, you have obviously not seen the scientific research… – I have. | -参议员 很明显你没有看科学调查 … -我有 |
[44:58] | Gentlemen, gentlemen… | 先生们 先生们… |
[45:02] | – …many reports that have… – No, I have… | – …许多报告上都有… – 不 我有… |
[45:04] | We’re running out of time. | 我们时间到 |
[45:06] | I have just a final question on energy, if I could? | 如果我能 关于能源我还有最后一个问题 |
[45:09] | We’re going to be dependent on foreign oil for the foreseeable future, | 在可预见的将来 我们还得依赖外国石油 |
[45:12] | so what would you do to ensure a dependable supply of foreign oil? Congressman? | 那么你们如何保证稳定的外国能源供应? 众议员? |
[45:18] | Let me start by saying what I would not do | 让我开始说 我们还有什么没有做 |
[45:21] | because it is the most important part of my energy policy: | 因为它是我的能源方针里最重要的部分 |
[45:24] | I will never go to war for oil. | 我永远不会为能源发动战争 |
[45:28] | Please. Please. | 请 请 |
[45:32] | And I’d like to invite Senator Vinick to join me in that pledge. | 我希望邀请Vinick参议员加入我的誓言 |
[45:37] | Ladies and gentlemen, would you like to hear yourselves applaud | 女士们 先生们 你们是否听到自己的掌声过大 |
[45:40] | or would you like to listen to the candidates speak? | 或者倾听到候选人的讲话? |
[45:43] | Please. | 请 |
[45:44] | Senator? | 参议员? |
[45:46] | It’s ridiculous to suggest that we would ever have to go to war to secure our oil supply. | 它可笑的暗示我们曾经为了巩固石油供应而发动过战争 |
[45:52] | Oil is a commodity on a world market. | 石油在世界贸易中是日用品 |
[45:56] | You don’t have to shoot anyone to get it, you just have to pay for it. | 你不用向谁开枪得到它 你只要付钱就能得到 |
[46:00] | By the way, do you know who our biggest supplier of foreign oil is? | 顺便说一下 你们知道谁是我们最大的外国石油供应商? |
[46:08] | No. Wrong, it’s Canada. | 不 错了 是加拿大 |
[46:11] | So let’s stop the hysterical talk about the evil foreign oil. | 所以让我们停止歇斯底里的诽谤那些“邪恶”的 外国石油 |
[46:14] | You know, if it’s ridiculous to even think about going to war for oil, | 你们知道 如果可笑的想都不想就去为石油发动战争 |
[46:18] | why don’t you join me in the pledge? | 为什么你不加入我们的誓言? |
[46:19] | Because it would be like going to war for sugar. Do you want to take a pledge against that, too? | 因为它就象为了糖而战争 你也想反对这个誓言吗 ? |
[46:24] | You know, the oil exporting countries have to sell it to someone to survive. | 你知道, 石油输出国出卖石油给某人得以生存 |
[46:29] | They need us to buy it. They couldn’t cut us off if they wanted to. | 他们要我们买它 如果他们想要他们不会减少我们的份额. |
[46:33] | Will you join me in the pledge, Senator? | 参议员 你还加入我们的誓言吗? |
[46:37] | I will not demean the Presidency by taking any pledge other than the oath of office. | 我不会贬低总统的职务而采取任何承诺 除了就职宣誓之外。 |
[46:42] | Congressman, Senator; we have just a very few minutes left. | 众议员 参议员 我们只剩下几分钟 |
[46:46] | Would you like to use that time for your closing statements? | 你们为什么不用这几分钟做结束陈词? |
[46:51] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[46:51] | All right then. | 那好吧 |
[46:52] | According to the coin toss, the first closing statement is from Congressman Santos. | 依照投币顺序Santos众议员先来 |
[46:59] | Well, Senator Vinick was eager to take a pledge about taxes, | 好的 Vinick参议员 热切采取一个关于税承诺 |
[47:03] | but now taking a pledge about anything else is beneath the dignity of the Presidency. | 但现在需要一个承诺关于别的 是在总统的职务的尊严之下 |
[47:09] | The President has to lead. | 总统就是一个领队 |
[47:11] | He has to actively head off problems, | 他得有灵活的头脑摆脱难题 |
[47:13] | not just hope the market will figure out everything for him. | 他不希望在市场之外出现任何事 |
[47:16] | It’s the free market that Senator Vinick trusts so much that has left 45 million people without health insurance. | 那就是Vinick参议员 非常相信的自由贸易 还有4千5百万人民没有健康保险 |
[47:23] | But to his credit, the Senator’s very honest about the fact that he has no health care plan, no education plan, no jobs plan, no energy plan. | 但对他的信用 参议员非常诚实 没有健康保险计划 没有教育计划 没有工作计划 没有能量计划 |
[47:32] | All he has is a tax plan. | 只有他的税务计划 |
[47:34] | After he cuts taxes, what’s he going to do for the next four years? | 他减税后 他将为下一个4年做什么? |
[47:40] | Tax cuts are not a magic wand that you can wave at every problem. | 减税不是魔术棒能在每个难题上飘荡 |
[47:45] | Senator Vinick is very quick to attack my plans, | Vinick 参议员非常迅速的抨击了我的计划 |
[47:49] | but the Presidency is about more than just saying no, no, no. | 但是总统职务不是只在那里说不 不 不 |
[47:53] | You have to say yes to something. You have to do something. | 你也得为某事说 是 你也得做点什么 |
[47:57] | We don’t have enough time for me to remind you about every policy difference | 我们没有足够的时间来提醒你们每个计划的差别 |
[48:01] | that you’ve heard here tonight. | 那就是今晚你们听到的 |
[48:02] | But when you go to work tomorrow and you’re talking about this debate, | 但当你明天去上班时谈论的一定是这场辩论 |
[48:07] | talk about the qualities that you want to see as a President; the leadership qualities. | 谈论你想看到谁做总统 这就是领导能力 |
[48:12] | Ask yourself if Matt Santos is the kind of guy who’s going to give up on the promises | 告诉自己如果 Matt Santos 这家伙有几分能力 谁还会放弃诺言 |
[48:16] | that he’s made tonight because it’s going to be too tough to get them done. | 他今晚成功 因为他得到了坚决的支持 |
[48:20] | Talk about what it was like for Matt Santos to go from where he was baptized 45 years ago in San Antonio to where he’s standing tonight. | 谈论 Matt Santos 有什么 他在45年前在圣 安东尼奥受洗 而今晚站在这里 |
[48:30] | Ask yourselves what it takes to do that. | 问自己他都做了什么 |
[48:33] | And then ask yourselves if you’re ready to give Matt Santos the Presidency of the United States. | 问自己如果你们打算让Matt Santos成为下届美国总统 |
[48:39] | You know, you’ve seen the stories: | 你们知道吗 你们会看到这样的故事: |
[48:42] | in newspapers all over the world, people are asking “Is America ready for a Latino President?” | 全世界的报纸到处报道 人们都在互相询问 “美国将准备迎接一位拉丁裔的总统” |
[48:48] | I have never asked that question. | 我从没回答过那个问题 |
[48:50] | I never asked if Annapolis was ready for a Latino midshipman. | 我从未回答 如果安纳波利斯(美国马里兰州首府) 准备录取拉丁裔的海军军官 |
[48:53] | I never asked if the Marines was ready for a Latino fighter pilot. | 我从未回答 如果海军舰队准备录取拉丁裔 战斗机领航员 |
[48:56] | I didn’t have to ask. | 我从未回答 |
[48:58] | I just had to prove that I was ready, that I could get the job done. | 我只是想证明我准备好了 我能得到这个工作 |
[49:04] | I am asking for your vote now because I know that I am ready to do the job. | 现在我告诉你任何投票 因为我知道我能得到这个工作 |
[49:10] | I thank you. | 我感谢 |
[49:24] | Senator Vinick, your closing statement. | Vinick参议员 你的结束陈词 |
[49:27] | First of all, I want to thank Matt for agreeing to drop the rules tonight and let us have a real debate. | 首先全部 我想感谢Matt 抛开规则让我们进行了一场真正的辩论 |
[49:33] | And what you’ve heard, over and above the many policy differences, were different philosophies of government. | 你们提听到了什么 在许多政策的区别之上 不同政府用不同的哲学。 |
[49:43] | I believe both of us want what’s best for this country, | 我相信我们双方都是为了这个国家更好 |
[49:45] | we just have different ideas about how to go about it. | 我们有不同的意见 关于这 关于那 |
[49:49] | I think it’s fair to say that Matt has more confidence in government than I do. | 我想公平的对 Matt说对于政府 你比我有更多的信心 |
[49:54] | I have more confidence in freedom – your freedom; | 我更多的信心来自自由 – 你们的自由 |
[49:59] | your freedom to choose your child’s school, | 你们自由的选择你们孩子的学校 |
[50:02] | your freedom to choose the car or truck that’s right for you and your family, | 你们自由的选择轿车或货车 那对你们和你们的家庭都有好处 |
[50:07] | your freedom to save or spend your hard-earned money instead of having the government spend it for you. | 你们辛辛苦苦挣得的钱由自己选择节约或支出 而不是让政府帮你花 |
[50:13] | I’m not anti-government. | 我不是反政府 |
[50:16] | I just don’t want any more government than we can afford. | 我只是说比起我们已经供给得政府不能 再要的更多 |
[50:19] | I don’t want government doing things it doesn’t know how to do | 我不要政府做它不该做的事 |
[50:22] | or doing things the private sector does better | 或做一些让私立部门更好的事 |
[50:25] | or throwing more money at failed programs | 或筹集更多的资金为那些失败的议案 |
[50:29] | because that’s exactly what makes people lose faith in government. | 因为在政府那能确切什么使人丢失信念 |
[50:32] | And all of us, Democrats and Republicans, Independents, Liberals or Conservatives, | 包括我们 民主党 共和党 中立派 自由主义者和保守派 |
[50:38] | we all want a government that we can believe in. | 我们同在一个政府 我们都相信执政党 |
[50:42] | We all want a government that doesn’t make false promises, | 我们都不想政府出错 |
[50:44] | a government that doesn’t overreach, doesn’t take on more than it can handle; | 一个政府如果走过头 就会留下更多的把柄 |
[50:49] | an efficient, effective, honest government. That’s what the Founding Fathers created. | 一个有效的 有生力的 诚实的政府 是父辈们创造的. |
[50:56] | That’s what they wanted for us. | 那是他们留给我们 |
[50:59] | The choice in this election comes down to this: | 选择是由有选择权的人决定 |
[51:03] | do we want more government or do we want to get control of government. | 我们想要政府做的更多 还是我们要政府控制的更多 |
[51:08] | To govern is to choose and the choices are never easy. | 做出选择 选择从来就不容易 |
[51:12] | There are lobbies out there that will fight you on every choice you make. | 从大厅到这里你们为了选择做斗争 |
[51:15] | They’re ready to call you names the second you make a choice they don’t like. | 他们准备再次叫你们的名字 你们的选择他们不喜欢 |
[51:19] | You heard that heckler go after me tonight. | 你们听到那些质询就象今晚的我 |
[51:22] | You have to be tough to stand up to that. | 你们忍耐直到起立离开 |
[51:25] | But being tough won’t help you make the right choice. | 但忍耐帮助了你们 做出正确选择 |
[51:29] | That takes experience and mature judgment. | 待着经验和成熟的判断 |
[51:33] | That’s what the Presidency needs now more than ever. | 总统职务比以前更多 |
[51:37] | And that’s why I ask you to give me your vote: | 那就是为什么我说请投我的票 |
[51:39] | so that I can give you the government that you were promised by the Founding Fathers. | 那就是我会象父辈们一样给你们个想要的政府 |
[51:46] | Thank you, very much. | 非常感谢 |
[52:00] | Senator Vinick, Congressman Santos: our thanks to you both. | Vinick参议员 Santos众议员 我们也感谢你们两位 |
[52:04] | That is our debate and thank you for watching. Goodnight. | 辩论到此结束 谢谢收看 晚安 |
[52:11] | Transcribed by Soundman “TWIZ TV.COM”. Feedback to sparticus1611@hotmail.com. | |
[52:18] | Sync : whoopss (whoopss1@nate.com) |