时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Previously on The West Wing: | |
[00:07] | You can do more in a day than most do in a lifetime. | 你的能力不可限量 |
[00:10] | You think I’m not aware I’m living my obituary right now? | 你以为我不知道 我现在自身难保吗 |
[00:13] | Kennedy School needs a new dean. Everyone wants you. | Kennedy学校要找新的教导主任 所有人都需要你 |
[00:16] | Is today the day for this? | 今天就是为了这个吗 |
[00:17] | How about Secretary of State? | 国务卿怎么样 |
[00:18] | – You gonna go with Reynolds? – If I don’t get my first choice. | – 你要和Reynolds一起来吗 – 如果我没有其他选择的话 |
[00:21] | – Who’s that? – That would be you. | – 那是谁 – 那将会是你 |
[00:23] | If I’m gonna jump off the cliff… | 如果我要跳下悬崖… |
[00:25] | …and you’re gonna get pushed off the cliff… | 而你要被推下悬崖 |
[00:28] | …why don’t we hold hands on the way down? | 我们为什么不能共患难呢 |
[00:43] | You could leave it here. | 你可以把这留在这里 |
[00:44] | You know, on the off chance you’re back someday with bad breath. | 知道吗 当你某天回来时 也许可能会带口气 |
[00:47] | You’re sweet. What time is it? | 你真体贴 几点了 |
[00:48] | – Six forty-five. – How did that happen? | – 六点四十五 – 那怎么会发生的 |
[00:51] | I thought maybe Barton’s tonight. | 我想今天也许是Barton之夜 |
[00:52] | – For dinner? – Yeah. | – 吃晚饭吗 – 是啊 |
[00:54] | – I have the Trade Commission. – Okay. | – 我有个商务专员公署 – 好吧 |
[00:57] | – Did I say I was free? – Yeah. | – 我是不是说过我有空 – 是的 |
[00:59] | I’m sorry. I shouldn’t speak when I don’t have my book. | 对不起 我不该没看日程安排就说有时间 |
[01:03] | My sister’s in town tomorrow night. | 我姐姐明晚会在镇上 |
[01:04] | – Wanna meet? – We’re finalizing the budget. | – 想见见她么 – 我们要把预算定下来 |
[01:06] | – Well, she’s here Thursday too. – Intelligence review. | – 好吧 她周四还在这里 – 情报检讨 |
[01:09] | All right, I’m bailing on dinner. | 没关系 我把晚饭取消 |
[01:11] | – I’m sorry, this week is just… – No worries. | – 真对不起 这个星期真的是… – 别担心了 |
[01:13] | – I feel bad. I’d love to meet your sister. – You would. | – 这让我不好受 我想见你的姐姐 – 你会的 |
[01:16] | She’s like me, but with bigger teeth. | 她就象我 但是牙齿大一点 |
[01:18] | – This week is just… – No is a perfectly acceptable answer. | – 这个星期实在是… – 不是个可以接受的回答 |
[01:22] | – You gotta be able to ask, right? – I just feel bad saying no all the time. | – 你得能够提问才行 不是吗 – 我只是受不了自己总是在说不 |
[01:25] | – It makes me feel like a heel. – So I shouldn’t ask? | – 这让我觉得自己是个跟班的 – 那我不该问了? |
[01:27] | I should sit by the fire and wait for my booty call? | 我应该坐在火堆边 等我的应召电话吗 |
[01:30] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[01:31] | It’s okay, I’m not turning it down, but it’s limiting. | 没关系 我并不是不接受 但是也要有个限度啊 |
[01:33] | You make it sound like I’m trying to avoid you. | 你这样让我觉得我在设法逃避你 |
[01:35] | – I didn’t say that. – I don’t make booty calls. | – 我没这么说过. – 我也没有打过应召电话 |
[01:38] | You don’t make any calls. | 你没有打任何电话 |
[01:39] | – Kind of how it works out. – What? | – 就象如何解决 – 什么? |
[01:40] | You’re elusive. Part of the draw. | 你让人难以捉摸 总是半遮半掩的 |
[01:43] | You know what? It’s way too early for this. | 你知道吗 现在说这个太早了 |
[01:46] | – What? – It’s 6:45 a.m. | – 什么 – 现在是早上6点45 |
[01:48] | Hey, I’m kidding. | 嘿 我开玩笑的 |
[01:50] | – Are you? – Yeah. | – 你是吗 – 当然 |
[01:51] | Everybody take a breath. | 每个人都要喘口气 |
[01:55] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[01:56] | – I’m sorry. – There’s nothing to be sorry about. | – 对不起 – 没什么要抱歉 |
[01:58] | You’re right. This will all be easier in two weeks. | 你说的对 两周后一切都会好的 |
[02:02] | – It really will. – Come here. | – 真的会的 – 过来 |
[02:12] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[02:13] | Tell Kuber I found 14 errors in 16 pages. | 告诉Kuber我在16页里找到14个错误 |
[02:15] | They should think about proofing these before they hit my desk. | 在交给我之前 他们应该考虑要先检查一下 |
[02:18] | – Would you like to take a walk? – What did you think was happening now? | – 你想要出去走走吗 – 你觉得现在发生了什么 |
[02:21] | You could go across the street, get some breakfast. | 你可以到街对面买点早餐 |
[02:23] | – Maybe a scone? – I don’t want a scone. | – 烤饼怎么样 – 我不想要 |
[02:24] | – They have fruit. – I’m not hungry. | – 他们有水果 – 我不饿 |
[02:26] | It’s a nice day with fresh air. You could have a little fun. | 真是个空气新鲜的一天 你应该开心点 |
[02:29] | I have a schedule, right? We’re not pretending I have a job. | 我有自己的安排 对吧 我们不要假装我有工作 |
[02:32] | Like Dad, who no longer runs the company, but still shows up every day? | 就象爸爸那样 就算不再管理公司 还是每天准时出现 |
[02:35] | It’s a full day, but not crazy. You could say hello to Will Bailey. | 今天工作很多 但还不至于疯狂 你可以去和Will Bailey打个招呼 |
[02:39] | Step aside. | 让开 |
[02:41] | Charlie and I were trying to get a jump on some filing. | Charlie和我想提前归档 |
[02:43] | We thought we’d have it cleaned up, but things got a little out of control. | 我们以为能够处理好 但是有些事情出了点意外 |
[02:47] | – I’ve seen messy before. – I don’t think you should go in. | – 我以前见识过混乱 – 我想你最好不要进去 |
[02:49] | – Yeah, I’m getting that. – Seriously. | – 好了 让我进去 – 真的 |
[02:51] | Margaret. | |
[02:59] | You’re not filing, you’re packing. | 你不是在归档 你是在清理搬家 |
[03:02] | – Yeah. | – Yeah. – 是的 – 是的 |
[03:04] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[03:57] | Most of this is going to the archive. | 这里大部分是要存档的 |
[03:58] | A guy named Martine is supposed to pick it up. | 有个叫Martine应该是负责收集的 |
[04:00] | – Don’t worry. – We’re gonna move it somewhere… | – 别担心 – 我们会把这些放到其他地方的 |
[04:02] | …but haven’t settled on where. – Margaret… | 但是没有固定的地方 |
[04:04] | – I shouldn’t worry. – You shouldn’t. Get Fred and Herb in. | – 我不该担心的 – 你当然不用 叫Fred和Herb进来 |
[04:07] | – Nice, huh? – This is grim. | – 很好 是不是 – 真是一团糟 |
[04:09] | – Roosevelt Room in 10. – What am I doing there? | – 十点在Roosevelt房间 – 我到那里干什么 |
[04:11] | – A casual conversation about your future. – Another one? | – 就是关于你前途的例行谈话 – 另一个呢 |
[04:14] | We’re nearing the end of the list. This is a guy from Hollis. | 我们快到这个单子的结尾了 这个人从Hollis来的 |
[04:17] | How about this is the end of the list? We cancel the rest… | 把他当是单子的结尾怎么样 我们把其余的取消 |
[04:19] | …send a “thanks, but no thanks.” | 回复”谢谢 但是不用谢了” |
[04:21] | – Ten minutes. – Job interviews? | – 还有十分钟 – 工作面试吗 |
[04:23] | Headhunters waving stock options and corporate jets. | 猎头拿着股份期权和公司的专机 |
[04:26] | All I have to do is show up at the occasional board meeting. | 而我只要出现在偶尔的董事会上 |
[04:28] | – Why should I find that appealing? – They don’t know you’re a masochist. | – 我为什么觉得这样很诱人 – 他们不知道你有受虐倾向 |
[04:31] | – I like to work for a living. Is it odd? – I get it. | – 我喜欢靠工作生活 这奇怪吗 – 我明白 |
[04:34] | – You must be getting these. – Yeah. Defense contractors mostly. | – 你肯定能理解 – 是啊 大部分国防承包商都会 |
[04:37] | – You interested? – Maybe. | – 你有兴趣吗 – 也许吧 |
[04:39] | It’s hard to get excited about anything after this. | 在这之后还会对其他事情 有激情真的挺难的 |
[04:41] | – Yeah. – I’ve got a call… | – 是啊 – 我要打个电话 |
[04:42] | …with the Chinese defense minister at 4. You should sit in. | 四点和中国国防部长 你应该参加 |
[04:45] | Tell Margaret. Hey, where’s your transition memo? | 告诉Margaret. 嘿 你的交接备忘录在哪里 |
[04:48] | – It’s coming. – When? | – 快好了 – 什么时候 |
[04:49] | – Soon. – Did you start it? | – 快了 – 你开始写了吗 |
[04:50] | Yeah, sure. Final touches. | 是的 当然 就差一点了 |
[04:52] | – I want it today. – Absolutely. | – 我今天就要 – 没问题 |
[04:57] | – We were summoned? – You were. | – 我们被召集了吗 – 是的 |
[05:00] | I read the first half of the budget. Couldn’t find the deficit reduction. | 我看了前半部分的预算 但是找不到削减赤字 |
[05:03] | It shouldn’t be buried on page 600. It should be up top. | 这不该被埋在600页 而是应该在最前面 |
[05:08] | – Is it on page 600? – No. | – 是不是在第600页 – 不是 |
[05:09] | – Where is it? – There isn’t any. | – 那在哪里 – 其实没有 |
[05:11] | – What do you mean there isn’t any? – There’s no… | – 什么叫那里没有 – 其实没有… |
[05:13] | The president wants deficit reduction in the budget. I said it should be 50 percent. | 总统希望预算里有削减赤字 我说过应该是百分之五十 |
[05:17] | We thought it was along the lines of “I’d like a pony.” | 我们以为只是说说而已 就象”我喜欢小马”之类 |
[05:19] | – Nobody actually expects to get the pony. – I want the pony. | – 没人真的想要匹小马 – 我想要 |
[05:23] | – Fifty percent reduction is unrealistic. – It isn’t. | – 50%的削减太不现实了 – 当然不是 |
[05:26] | Go find revenue raisers and cost savers… | 去找税收筹集人和成本节省人员 |
[05:28] | …to cut the deficit in half, and then release it… | 把赤字削减一半 再把这个报告 |
[05:30] | …to White House, OMB and the agency senior staff this afternoon for comments. | 今天下午交给白宫 OMB 和机构高层人员做评论 |
[05:34] | We need to integrate everybody’s feedback. | 我们需要综合所有人的反馈 |
[05:38] | – What? – You’re talking about doing work… | – 怎么了 – 你是说把这个工作做成份文件 |
[05:40] | …on a document nobody will ever read. | 没人会去看的 |
[05:43] | – It’s a formality. – We’re leaving office. | – 这是个礼节 – 我们就要离开办公室了 |
[05:44] | – Really? – I don’t know where to find $ 150 billion. | – 真的吗 – 我不知道到哪里去找150亿 |
[05:47] | I told you where you could. Did we or did we not…? | 我告诉过你在那里能找到 我们有还是没有…? |
[05:49] | – The tax proposed was massive. – Was that your idea or the president’s? | – 这个税项太庞大了 – 这是你的主意还是总统的 |
[05:52] | It was the president’s idea to cut the deficit. | 削减赤字是总统的主意 |
[05:54] | It was my idea to propose doing so… | 建议这么做是我的主意 |
[05:56] | – With a massive increase… – Stop saying massive. | – 伴随着庞大的增长… – 别再说庞大了 |
[05:59] | We have to get jobs when we leave. We can’t… | 在离开时我们要找到工作 我们不能… |
[06:01] | Do it! And send the damn thing out for departmental review. Now. | 去做! 快把这该死的东西拿出去 做分部门的复查 马上去 |
[06:05] | – Okay. – Yeah. | – 好的 – 是 |
[06:08] | What? | 什么? |
[06:11] | Wanted to see what the yelling was about. | 想来看看那个叫声是怎么回事 |
[06:12] | – What, are you just walking around? – Senioritis. | – 什么 你只是随便走走吗 – 高年级倦怠症 |
[06:15] | Having a little trouble getting motivated. | 对于变动感到厌烦 |
[06:17] | I probably shouldn’t share that with the boss. | 我大概不该和上司分享这个 |
[06:19] | – Where’s your transition memo? – My epitaph? | – 你的交接备忘录在哪里 – 我的墓志铭吗 |
[06:21] | They’re important documents that make it possible… | 这是重要的文件 能让你的接班人可以… |
[06:23] | …for your successor to take the baton. Write one. | …接手 写一个吧 |
[06:26] | Greg Thatcher’s moving over to State. | Greg Thatcher到美国来了 |
[06:28] | Santos made him an offer. Wants to get started as soon as possible. | Santos给了他份工作 希望可以尽快开始 |
[06:30] | – Did he write…? – I’ll deal with it. | – 他是不是写了… – 我会处理的 |
[06:32] | Then I guess it’s okay. He’s leaving Friday? | 那我想没问题了 他是星期五走吗 |
[06:35] | Today, I think. You should say goodbye or something. | 我想是今天 你应该去道别或是其他的 |
[06:38] | Yeah. Tell him to stop in. | 是啊 告诉他过来看看 |
[06:40] | – You’re needed in the Roosevelt Room. – Call all 30 department heads. | – 你该去Roosevelt房间了 – 给所有30个部门主管打电话 |
[06:44] | Explain that when I said I needed the memos today, I wasn’t making a funny. | 和他们解释 我今天说要备忘录不是开玩笑的 |
[06:48] | – Your Hollis meeting is right now. – Give me five minutes. Get him a Coke. | – 你和Hollis见面的时间到了 – 给我五分钟 给他瓶可乐 |
[06:52] | – We shouldn’t keep him waiting. – He’s a headhunter. | – 我们不该让他等 – 他是个猎头 |
[06:54] | I’m a highly placed official… | 我是个高级官员 |
[06:55] | …in what was once considered a fairly prestigious organization. | 曾在被认为颇负盛名的组织任职 |
[06:58] | He can sit quietly and have a Coke. | 他可以安静的坐下 喝点可乐 |
[07:00] | It’s not a headhunter from Hollis, it’s Franklin Hollis. | 这不是从Hollis来的猎头 他是Franklin Hollis |
[07:02] | Franklin Hollis is in the Roosevelt Room? | Franklin Hollis在Roosevelt房间 |
[07:04] | – Yes. – No, he’s not. | – 是的 – 不 他不是 |
[07:05] | What do I get out of lying in this moment? | 这个时候我说谎能有什么好处 |
[07:07] | Hollis is in the Roosevelt Room. | Hollis在Roosevelt房间 |
[07:09] | – Really? – There’s a guy in the Roosevelt Room… | – 真的吗 – 有个人在Roosevelt房间… |
[07:11] | …looks just like Frank Hollis. The hair, glasses, whole bit. | …看上去就象Frank Hollis 他的头发 眼镜 整个样子 |
[07:15] | – It’s Frank Hollis. – Really? | – 他是Frank Hollis. – 真的吗 |
[07:17] | He just bought an island. And Montana. | 他刚买了个小岛 还有Montana |
[07:19] | He didn’t buy Montana. He bought most of Montana. | 他没有买Montana 他买了Montana的大部分地方 |
[07:22] | – Oh, my God. – Don’t stare. | – 哦 我的天 – 别盯着看了 |
[07:24] | – Can I meet him? – I wanna meet him. | – 我可以见见他吗 – 我想见他 |
[07:25] | Shouldn’t go in together, it’d look not cool. | 不该一起进去的 这样看上去太不冷静了 |
[07:27] | What’s the last thing you did that looked cool? | 你最近做的那件事看上去冷静? |
[07:29] | I touched his hand. We shook. | 我碰到他的手了 我们握手了 |
[07:32] | – Now I’m uncomfortable. – Tell him you want a piece of Montana. | – 现在我不舒服了 – 告诉他你想要Montana的一块地方 |
[07:35] | – He’s not giving it away. – What’s he gonna do with it? | – 他不会给的 – 那他要来有干什么 |
[07:37] | – Teeth? – You’re fine. | – 牙齿? – 你很好 |
[07:41] | – Think that these numbers should be… | – 考虑下这些数字应该… |
[07:43] | Okay, thanks, guys, I’ll catch up with you in the lobby. | 好的 谢谢你们 我会到休息室找你们的 |
[07:46] | – Yes, sir. – Good morning, Mr. Hollis. | – 是的 先生 – 早上好 Hollis先生 |
[07:47] | – I’m C.J. Cregg. – Call me Frank. | – 我是C.J. Cregg – 叫我Frank |
[07:51] | My dad had 200 shares of Hollis in 1992. | 我父亲1992年有200股Hollis |
[07:54] | – Sold them. – You’re kidding. | – 然后卖掉了 – 你在开玩笑吧 |
[07:56] | – Didn’t see it going anywhere. – Think C.J. Goes to work for him? | – 看不出会发生些什么 – 想一想C.J. 要替他工作吧 |
[07:59] | He probably wants a toady to make nice with the FCC. | 他大概想要个人讨好FCC |
[08:02] | I’m heading over to the D-Triple-C in a few minutes. | 我几分钟前被调到民主国会竞选委员会 |
[08:04] | – They’re making you an offer? – I think so. | – 他们给你工作了? – 我想是的 |
[08:07] | Will Bailey… | |
[08:08] | …executive director of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. | 民主党国会竞选委员会的行政长官 |
[08:12] | – Sounds pretty good. – Could be. Nice place to work. | – 听上去不错 – 是不错 是个工作的好地方 |
[08:15] | I get my hands in a lot of races without the water torture of any one race. | 我参与组织过很多竞选 但是从没有搞砸顾过 |
[08:18] | And I’d stay in Washington, which is nice. | 我住在Washington 那里很漂亮 |
[08:21] | – You think? – Yeah. I mean, no pressure… | – 你觉得? – 是 我的意思是 没有压力… |
[08:23] | …but I like the idea of giving the future an opportunity… | …但是我喜欢给未来一个机会 |
[08:26] | …to unfold of its own accord. | …看看会怎么发展的想法 |
[08:27] | – Our future? – Yeah. | – 我们的未来吗 – 是的 |
[08:29] | I like that idea too. | 我也喜欢这样的想法 |
[08:35] | I’m prepared to put together a fairly attractive package if you’re willing to… | 我准备把做一个相当诱人的包裹 如果你愿意的话… |
[08:40] | – I’m not boring you, am I? – No, certainly not. | – 我让你觉得无聊了 是不是 – 不 当然不是了 |
[08:43] | That doesn’t happen till I start in on nanotechnology. | 没有直到我开始纳技术后 |
[08:45] | No, I’m sorry. I’m just… | 不 对不起 我只是… |
[08:50] | …familiar with the package these days. | …这几天对包裹很熟悉 |
[08:52] | Well, what does the package look like these days? | 那这几天的包裹象什么 |
[08:55] | You’re prepared to dramatically change my standard of living… | 你已经准备好 戏剧性的改变我生活的原则 |
[08:59] | …if I’m prepared to sit on your board and spend an hour a month… | 如果我准备为你工作 每个月花上一个小时 |
[09:03] | …advising you on your strategic relationship with the FCC. | …为你和FCC的战略关系给建议 |
[09:06] | That sounds like it’d be a waste of your time to me. | 这听起来象是我在浪费你的时间 |
[09:09] | – It does? – That’s not the package. | – 是这样吗 – 这不是个包裹 |
[09:13] | – Okay. – I’m starting a foundation. | – 好吧 – 我成立了一个基金 |
[09:17] | Because if I hold on to all this money, I start to look impolite. | 因为如果我想留住所有的钱 我得开始看上去不和善 |
[09:21] | I wanna find a single problem I can attack… | 我想找一个的问题 我可以攻击… |
[09:24] | …something which might actually have some kind of substantive effect. | …一些可能有潜在效果的东西 |
[09:29] | Maybe I should be fighting AIDS in Africa or maybe it’s malaria. | 也许我该在非洲抵御艾滋病 或者是疟疾 |
[09:34] | Could be clean air or election reform. I don’t know. | 也许是清洁空气或是选举改革 我不知道 |
[09:37] | But my sense is that… | 但我的感觉是 |
[09:39] | …you would have a unique perspective on what that could be… | 你对于事态的发展和如何发生 |
[09:43] | …and how to make it happen. | 有自己独特的视角 |
[09:45] | A single problem? | 一个问题? |
[09:47] | It’s a complicated question… | 这是个复杂的问题 |
[09:49] | Highways is what you’re looking for. | 你是要找高速公路 |
[09:52] | – Really? – It’s not sexy. | – 真的? – 真不性感 |
[09:55] | No one will ever raise money for it. | 没人会为这个筹钱的 |
[09:57] | But nine out of 10 African aid projects fail… | 但非洲援助计划十有八九失败 |
[09:59] | …because the medicine or the personnel can’t get to the people. | 是因为医疗或是人员无法到当地 |
[10:01] | Infrastructure’s the problem. | 基础设施是个问题 |
[10:03] | Blanket the continent with highways, then maybe start on plumbing. | 用公路把大陆都连接起来 然后也许就可以开始了解 |
[10:06] | – Also not sexy. – Makes for a lousy telethon. | – 也不性感 – 就象是个低俗的电视节目 |
[10:08] | It does. | 就是这样 |
[10:12] | Well, if you think that’s what needs fixing… | 好吧 如果有你觉得需要修理的 |
[10:15] | …I’ll give you 10 billion dollars to fix it. | 我会给你10亿美元去修理 |
[10:20] | – Hey, Will, come on in. – How goes it? | – 嘿 Will 进来吧 – 进展如何 |
[10:22] | Good. Thanks. Listen. | 很好 谢谢 听着 |
[10:25] | Andy Lowry, he’s gonna be calling you about tickets to the inaugural. | 他想要问你就职典礼门票的事 |
[10:28] | We’re out. You guys probably are too, but I had to get him off my call sheet. | 我们没有了 你们大概也是吧 但是我得把他从电话本上去掉 |
[10:32] | – I’ll see what I can dig up. – Thanks. | – 我会看看我能找到什么 – 谢谢 |
[10:34] | So you gonna take some time off? | 那你准备休息下吗 |
[10:36] | – Go sit on a beach or something? – Maybe. | – 去下海滩或是其他的 – 也许吧 |
[10:38] | I thought about hiking the Appalachian Trail… | 我考虑过到Appalachian山道 徒步旅行 |
[10:40] | …which I’ve always wanted to do, but don’t wanna do it in February. | 我一直想去 但是不想在二月 |
[10:43] | If I sit around till May, when it’s warm, I’ll lose my mind. | 如果我在这里待到五月 等天气暖和了 我大概就要疯了 |
[10:45] | – Well, weekend in Vegas. – More likely. | – 那周末去拉斯维加斯 – 这还差不多 |
[10:48] | Yeah, listen, we wouldn’t rush you. | 是啊 听着 我们不想催你 |
[10:50] | The D-Triple-C, we’re dead until March anyhow. | 民主国会竞选委员会 到了三月我们死定了 |
[10:52] | It takes that long to recover from the inaugural. | 从就职典礼上恢复需要很长时间 |
[10:54] | So you come back when you’re ready… | 那你等准备好再回来 |
[10:56] | …help us put together a strategy for the board. | …帮我们为委员会出谋划策 |
[10:58] | Which races you think you’re looking at? | 你想你看好哪个选区 |
[11:00] | Maryland 3rd, North Carolina 1st. Florida 15th’s gonna be a big one. | Florida 15th都是热门 |
[11:04] | Oregon 4th? Heffinger’s stepping down? | Heffinger要退下来了吗 |
[11:06] | No. There’s always the hope that we can unseat him… | 不 我们总有机会让他退职 |
[11:09] | …but it’s a long shot. I should take it off the list. | …但是不太可能成功 我应该从名单上去掉 |
[11:12] | He’s a real son of a bitch. If you can boot him, you should. | 他真是个混蛋 如果你能打他 别犹豫 |
[11:15] | I ran Chulo’s campaign against him in ’94. | 94年我组织Chulo竞选和他对抗 |
[11:17] | We lost by 15 points, but he’s one mean bastard. | 我们输了15百分点 但是他真是个混蛋 |
[11:19] | Well, he’s got an iron grip on that district. | 他在那个地区稳操胜券 |
[11:21] | He hasn’t done a thing for them. He’s barely a seat warmer. | 他什么都没有为他们做过 他不过是炮灰 |
[11:25] | Gotta be someone who can kick his ass. | 一定有人可以扳倒他的 |
[11:26] | – Yeah, but the question is who. – I’m sure you’ll dig up someone. | – 是啊 但是问题是谁呢 – 我肯定你能找到人的 |
[11:29] | You won’t find a sane person willing to pick a fight with Heffinger. | 你找不到有理智的人会 愿意和Heffinger开战的 |
[11:32] | – Really? – No way. | – 真的? – 不可能 |
[11:34] | I mean, go for it. I love the attitude. | 我是说试试看 我欣赏这样的态度 |
[11:36] | If you find me someone, we’ll run him. I’m just not gonna hold my breath. | 如果你帮我找到人的话 我们要掌握他 我不能再忍气吞声 |
[11:41] | Illinois 5th should be exciting. Looks like Faye Green wants to retire. | Illinois 5th肯定会沸腾的 就象Faye Green想退休一样 |
[11:45] | And there’s gonna be all kinds of craziness in Arizona. | 那Arizona将会陷入疯狂的 |
[11:49] | How was it? Was he fascinating? | 怎么会呢 他很厉害吗 |
[11:51] | He may not have people skills. | 他也许没有交际手腕 |
[11:53] | He’s used to talking to machines. You can’t hold that against him. | 他以前常和机器说话 你不能用这来攻击他 |
[11:56] | I think you should consider it. You can’t say no to everything. | 我想你该考虑一下 你不能对所有事都说不 |
[11:59] | At least think about it. | 至少考虑一下 |
[12:02] | Oh, my gosh, you’re thinking about it. | 哦 天呐 你在考虑了 |
[12:03] | – It was just a conversation. – But it was interesting. | – 这只是个谈话而已 – 但是很有趣 |
[12:06] | – Very. – Hi. | – 非常有趣 – 嗨 |
[12:08] | – Andy. – How are you? | – 你怎么样 |
[12:09] | – It’s good to see you. – I didn’t wanna interrupt. | – 很高兴见到你 – 我不想打断你们 |
[12:12] | I was in the building. I thought I’d ask if you had a hole in your schedule. | 我在大楼里 我想我该问下你今天有没有空 |
[12:15] | I wish I could. I’m a little slammed today. | 我希望我可以 我今天都安排满了 |
[12:17] | – You can do it now. – Really? | -你现在有时间 – 真的? |
[12:19] | – You have nothing now. – I have nothing. Come in. | – 你现在没事做 – 我什么都没有 进来吧 |
[12:29] | – How are the twins? – Oh, amazing. Inexhaustible. | – 双胞胎怎么样了 – 哦 很好 精力旺盛 |
[12:33] | We spend a lot of time arguing about socks. | 我们花了很多时间争论袜子 |
[12:35] | – You’re pro, they’re con? – Oh, Molly’s con, Huck’s pro. | – 你赞成 他们反对? – 哦 Molly反对 Huck赞同 |
[12:38] | But never more than one at a time. | 但是从来不会一样 |
[12:40] | – God, they’re gorgeous. – Yeah. | – 老天 他们太可爱了 – 是啊 |
[12:44] | They get to spend more time with their dad, now that Toby’s not working. | 既然Toby不用工作 他们应该和父亲多在一起 |
[12:50] | That must be nice. | 这真是太好了 |
[12:53] | So presidential pardons. ‘Tis the season, right? | 应该是总统赦免的时候 是吗 |
[12:55] | It is. | 是的 |
[12:57] | Is Toby on a list somewhere? | Toby在名单上吗 |
[12:59] | The DOJ and the Pardon Attorney are reviewing applications… | 司法部和赦免检察厅在复查申请 |
[13:02] | …but I don’t think anybody’s had an opportunity to talk to the president. | 但我想没人有机会和总统讲话 |
[13:06] | – Are you planning to? – Bring it to the president? | – 那你想过吗 -和总统说这个吗 |
[13:10] | I know this is awkward, and he’s pissed off a lot of people… | 我知道这很尴尬 他得罪了那么多人 |
[13:13] | …including you, and, God knows, the president… | 包括你在内 天晓得 总统… |
[13:15] | …but he was attempting to save three astronauts… | 但他是想救那三个要在 |
[13:18] | …suffocating to death in a tin can… | 罐头里窒息而死的宇航员 |
[13:19] | …somewhere west of the moon… – Yeah. | …在月球西边的什么地方… – 是啊 |
[13:21] | The Union for Concerned Scientists thinks he should get a medal. | 科学家关注联盟认为他该拿奖牌 |
[13:23] | So does the Alliance for Nuclear Accountability… | 美国核责任联盟也是 |
[13:25] | …the Arms Control Advocacy Collaborative… | 还有军备管制倡导协作 |
[13:28] | …the Council for a Livable World. – Andy… | 和适于居住世界协会 |
[13:29] | Did you read the New York Times Magazine? | 你看过纽约时代杂志了吗 |
[13:31] | – There’s a petition. – I saw it. | – 那里有个情愿书 – 我看过了 |
[13:34] | Thousands of names, C.J. | 有数以千计的名字 C.J. |
[13:35] | People who think it’s time for Bartlet to come home to his base… | 人们觉得是时候让Bartlet回家 |
[13:38] | …and acknowledge that carpeting the heavens with nukes is a crappy idea. | 回基地 而且承认了 在天堂铺设核武器是个糟糕的想法 |
[13:45] | I know the president was angry. He has every right to be. | 我知道总统生气 他有权利这样 |
[13:49] | But we’re talking about prison. | 但是我们讨论的是囚犯 |
[13:54] | Maybe the president’s calmed down. I’d like you to talk to him about it. | 总统大概冷静下来了 我想你去和他谈谈这个 |
[13:59] | I’ll see what I can do. | 我看看能做什么 |
[14:07] | He was your friend for a long time. | 他和你是老朋友了 |
[14:14] | I’ll see what I can do. | 我看看能做什么 |
[14:36] | – You should get going. – Yeah. | – 你该走了不 – 是的 |
[14:38] | – Did you call Charlie? – He’s on his way. | – 你给Charlie打电话了吗 – 他在路上了 |
[14:41] | Herb told me to tell you the budget went to department heads an hour ago. | Herb让我告诉你预算一个小时前 已经交给部门主管了 |
[14:45] | He didn’t want me to check the changes before it went? | 他交之前不想让我检查先改动吗 |
[14:47] | I think he didn’t. | 我想他不想 |
[14:48] | – He’s a little turd. – I’ll let him know. | – 他有点小人 – 我会和他说的 |
[14:52] | This is the preliminary list. They’re finalizing their recommendations. | 这是初步的名单 他们正在确认他们的推荐 |
[14:56] | This didn’t go to the president yet? | 这还没送到总统那里吗 |
[14:57] | No, they’ll send it to him in the next day or two. | 没有 他们会在一两天内送去的 |
[15:00] | This is the people who actually applied for pardon. | 这些是确实申请赦免的人 |
[15:02] | The president can add names, but I don’t think he’s added any. | 总统可以加名字 但是我想他加不了谁了 |
[15:04] | – This is everyone who applied? – They’ve cut some already. | – 这是所有申请的人吗 – 他们已经去掉一些了 |
[15:07] | – They’ve been through it. – Did you see the earlier lists? | – 他们已经查过一遍了 – 你看到早先的名单吗 |
[15:09] | – I’ve got copies. – You read them? | – 我有复本 – 你看过了吗 |
[15:11] | – Yeah, but I don’t remember every name… – Toby Ziegler? | – 是的 我不记得每个名字 |
[15:16] | Never appeared on a list. | 从来没在名单上出现 |
[15:18] | – Which means he didn’t apply. – Nope. | – 就是说他没申请过 – 没有 |
[15:20] | If the president wanted to commute his sentence, he could. | 如果总统想要他减刑 他可以 |
[15:22] | – He can do whatever he wants to. – Yeah. | – 他可以做任何他想做的事情 – 是的 |
[15:25] | – Is he asking about it? – The president? He isn’t. | – 他问过这个了吗 – 总统吗 他没有 |
[15:28] | – Are you? – I don’t know. | – 你准备问吗 – 我不知道 |
[15:31] | – It’s a tough call. – Yeah. Thanks. | – 这个很棘手 – 是啊 谢谢 |
[15:34] | Anything serious, you can find me at the president-elect’s office. | 你有任何重要的事 可以到当选总统(未就任)办公室找我 |
[15:37] | I can’t imagine this taking longer than 15 minutes. | 你不能想象这要花超过15分钟 |
[15:39] | They asked for a CV. | 他们要了附信 |
[15:41] | – The Santos people? – Yes. | – Santos的人吗 – 是的 |
[15:42] | – They asked for my resume? – Yes. | – 他们要我的简历吗 – 是的 |
[15:44] | – Hi. – Should I send them a list of references? | – 嗨 – 我应该给他们发个参考名单吗 |
[15:46] | – No, you shouldn’t. – I’d be happy to speak on your behalf. | – 不 你不用 – 我很高兴为你发言 |
[15:49] | – To the Santos people? – They really shouldn’t need references. | – 和Santos的人吗 – 他们真的不需要参考 |
[15:52] | They’re offering me a job, purely as a courtesy… | 他们给了我份工作 纯粹出于礼貌 |
[15:54] | …which I’ll pretend to consider, purely as a formality. | 我要假装考虑 纯粹就是形式 |
[15:57] | There are some mistakes in the budget draft that went out. | 在预算中有些错误已经传出去了 |
[16:00] | – You read it already? – Yeah. | – 你已经看过了吗 – 是的 |
[16:02] | – It’s 800 pages. – Okay, I didn’t. | – 有800页 – 好吧 我没有 |
[16:04] | But Lucy Benoit did, and she’s got crazy stories. | 但是Lucy Benoit看了 她有疯狂的故事 |
[16:07] | Who’s Lucy Benoit? | 谁是Lucy Benoit |
[16:08] | New reporter, business desk at the Times. | 新记者 时代的财经新闻的 |
[16:10] | – What happened to Jack? – Shingles. | – Jack怎么了 – 疱疹 |
[16:11] | – Really? – Raging. | – 真的 – 真惨 |
[16:13] | Shingles doesn’t force a man into retirement. | 疱疹不会使一个人退休 |
[16:15] | Tax fraud is, I think, the real story. Shingles is a cover. | 逃税就会了 我想这是真的 泡疹就是个幌子 |
[16:18] | If I’m in the market for a cover, I’d pick something that’s not… | 如果我要在市场要个幌子 我会选个其他的而不是… |
[16:21] | – Viral? – Yeah. | – 病毒? – 是的 |
[16:22] | Any port in a storm. | 在风暴中的任何港口 |
[16:24] | I’m going across the street. | 我要到街对面去了 |
[16:25] | – Will you be sad you don’t have a coat? – I’m fine. | – 你不穿外套不会冷吗 – 我很好 |
[16:28] | – So Who-sy Benoit. – Lucy, yes. | – Who-sy Benoit也是 – Lucy 是的 |
[16:31] | She seems to think we’re proposing a 50-cent-per-gallon gas tax… | 她象是认为我们提议的 每加仑50美分的汽油税 |
[16:34] | …which, I assume, must be a mistake. | 是个错误 我是这么推测的 |
[16:36] | Why does a reporter have a budget I haven’t released yet? | 为什么记者会有预算 我还没公布呢 |
[16:38] | Seventy-three department heads have it. | 73个部门的主管都有了 |
[16:40] | They’ve had it for less than two hours. | 他们拿到手还不到两个小时 |
[16:42] | Don’t you think they’d wanna read a page before leaking? | 你不觉得他们该在泄漏前先看看吗 |
[16:44] | No, since she’s not the only one with a question. | 不 因为不是只有她有疑问 |
[16:46] | – Can I tell her it’s a mistake? – You can’t. | – 我能告诉她这是个错误吗 – 不行 |
[16:49] | – Because we’re not talking about it yet? – That too, but it’s also not a mistake. | – 因为我们还没有讨论过吗 – 这也是个原因 但这不是个错误 |
[16:52] | Fifty cents a gallon? You don’t mean five cents? | 每加仑50美分 你的意思不是五分吗 |
[16:54] | – I don’t. – That’s insane. | – 不是 – 这太不正常了 |
[16:56] | You know how many people you’re gonna piss off? | 你知道你会得罪多少人吗 |
[16:58] | Many, many. | 很多 很多 |
[16:59] | Why does the president wanna stir up animosity… | 为什么总统要在我们离开… |
[17:02] | …two weeks before we leave office? – Because he’s old and dotty? | 办公室前的两周挑起仇恨 – 因为他又老又软弱 |
[17:05] | – He has a reason. – He does. | – 他这么做是有原因的 – 他是有 |
[17:06] | – But we’re not ready to discuss it. – We’re really not. | – 但是我们还没准备好要讨论 – 我们真的没有 |
[17:09] | – I will kill the rumors. – Yeah. Kill whoever’s blabbing. | – 我想杀了造谣的人 – 是啊 杀了所有胡说八道的人 |
[17:12] | Because we’re not ready to release it. | 因为我们没准备好要公布 |
[17:13] | – It’s really cold out here. – I told you to wear a coat. | – 这外面真的很冷啊 – 我告诉过你穿外套的 |
[17:15] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[17:17] | – What do you think about Tony Sharkey? – From Treasury? | – 你对Tony Sharkey有什么看法 – 从Treasury来的? |
[17:20] | His wife is younger than his daughter, but otherwise he’s okay. | 他的妻子比他的女儿还年轻 除了这个之外 都还好 |
[17:23] | You think he gets anywhere against John Heffinger? | 你觉得他有机会 对抗John Heffinger吗 |
[17:25] | Oregon 4th? Probably not. | 大概不行 |
[17:28] | D-Triple-C’s afraid to run anybody against Heffinger, they’re wimping out. | 民主国会竞选委员会害怕支持任何 对抗Heffinger的人 他们太弱了 |
[17:31] | If Sharkey’s their option, I see their point. | 要是Sharkey有他们的选择权 我能看出他们的想法 |
[17:33] | Tony Sharkey’s my opening salvo. I’m asking if you’ve got anybody better. | Tony Sharkey是我的公开后备 我是问你有没有更好的人选 |
[17:37] | – From Oregon? – I was thinking maybe Ina Horton… | -来自Oregon的? – 我想也许是Ina Horton |
[17:40] | …but she keeps publishing articles on eminent domain… | 但是她坚持出版征用权的文章 |
[17:42] | …that make her sound a little like Mao Tse-tung. | 这让她有点象毛泽东 |
[17:45] | Paul Kravitz is from Oregon. He put together our immigration plan. | Paul Kravitz是从Oregon来的 他提出了我们的移民计划 |
[17:47] | He’d scare Heffinger’s pants off. | 他吓到过Heffinger |
[17:50] | Also, Gil Siverly’d be great. | 而且 Gil Siverly也很好 |
[17:52] | – You’ve been very helpful. – No problem. | – 你真的帮我了很多 – 没关系 |
[17:59] | – Hello. – Hi. | – 嗨 – 嗨 |
[18:01] | I believe I’m here to see the president-elect. | 我相信我来这里是见当选总统的 |
[18:03] | Great. What’s your name? | 很好 你叫什么名字 |
[18:06] | – C.J. Cregg. – Miss Cregg. | – Cregg小姐 |
[18:08] | Ronna Beckman, we met in Pittsburgh. | 我们在Pittsburgh见过了 |
[18:10] | – Good to see you. – Nice to see you. | – 很高兴见到你 – 很高兴见到你 |
[18:11] | The president-elect is finishing a call. | 当选总统刚打完电话 |
[18:14] | – Can I take your coat? – Sure. | – 我能帮你拿衣服吗 – 当然 |
[18:15] | – Hey. – Gil Siverly. | – 嘿 |
[18:17] | – How’s it going? – Good. Thanks for coming by. | – 进展的怎么样了 – 很好 谢谢你能来 |
[18:19] | Wow, people are packing up, huh? | 哇喔 人们都在收拾东西 是吗 |
[18:21] | – Weird, isn’t it? – Sure is. | – 很奇怪 不是吗 – 当然拉 |
[18:23] | Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[18:24] | – The DOE must be in boxes too, right? – Well, the secretary’s on his way out. | – 能源部也在装箱 对吧 – 是啊 秘书正在找出路 |
[18:29] | We assumed that Santos would want a new staff… | 我们猜测Santos想要新的职员 |
[18:31] | …what with his education program and all. | 那些赞成他教育计划和一切的 |
[18:33] | But so far, they’re asking a lot of us to stay put. | 但是至今为止 他们让很多我们的人不要走 |
[18:36] | Were you ready to move on? | 那你准备走了吗 |
[18:38] | I’ve been at Department of Education for six years. | 我在教育部待了六年了 |
[18:40] | A change won’t be the worst thing in the world. | 有变化并非坏事 |
[18:42] | Ever think about running for office? | 有想过竞选办公室吗 |
[18:44] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[18:46] | D-Triple-C thinks John Heffinger’s seat in the Oregon 4th is ungettable. | 民主国会竞选委员会考虑John Heffinger 在Oregon 4th位置可以收回 |
[18:51] | – I think they’re wrong. – Heffinger’s been there for 15 years. | – 我想他们错了 – Heffinger在那里有15年了 |
[18:53] | – I mean, they love him. – They know him. Nobody loves him. | – 我是说 他们爱他 – 他们了解他 但是没人爱他 |
[18:58] | – Be a nasty fight. – The best ones are. | – 是个令人作呕的战争 – 是最好的 |
[19:02] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[19:04] | Don’t get me wrong, I think Heffinger is an idiot, and he’s probably corrupt… | 别误会我 我觉得Heffinger是白痴 他也许腐败 |
[19:09] | …but I don’t wanna move back home… | 但是我不想搬回家 |
[19:11] | …and spend the next two years of my life begging money… | 然后再用两年时间向那些 |
[19:14] | …from everybody I know just so I can get my ass handed to me. | 我认识的人要钱 只是为了自找没趣 |
[19:16] | I think you’re underestimating the voters. | 我想你低估那些选民了 |
[19:18] | We’ve been running dead fish against Heffinger the last 10 years. | 我们用无能的人与Heffinger竞选 至少有十年了 |
[19:22] | We put someone with a heartbeat in the ring, he’s going down. | 我们找个有用人参加政府竞选 他就会下台了 |
[19:27] | If it was anybody other than Heffinger… | 如果有除Heffinger以外的人 |
[19:32] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[19:34] | Let’s talk about you coming to work for me. | 让我们来谈下你替我工作吧 |
[19:36] | Sir, I’m so flattered that you’d even consider it… | 先生 你能这样考虑我已经受宠若惊了 |
[19:38] | …but Josh is gonna do a terrific job as chief of staff. | 但是Josh准备做参谋长 这份很棒的工作 |
[19:41] | Of course he is. | 他当然是了 |
[19:43] | I’ll be available to answer questions on the phone anytime. | 我随时愿意在电话上回答问题 |
[19:45] | You don’t need to create an emeritus position just to keep me as a resource. | 你不需要找个名誉退休的位置 只是为可让我提供信息 |
[19:48] | Who said anything about an emeritus position? | 谁说过这个名誉退休的位置 |
[19:51] | Sir, you’re a true gentleman… | 先生 你真的是个绅士 |
[19:52] | …I appreciate… – This isn’t a courtesy call, it’s an offer. | 我很高兴 – 这不是礼节性询问 这个提议 |
[19:55] | – Seriously? – Institutional memory… | – 真的吗 – 机构的经验传承制度化记忆 |
[19:58] | …is an invaluable commodity. | 是无价之宝 |
[20:00] | I’m not dumb enough to think we should be reinventing the wheel. | 我没有傻到想要我们重头再来 |
[20:03] | Your name comes up at the top of every must-hire list we’ve made. | 你的名字出现在我们的 每张应该雇佣的名单的最前面上 |
[20:06] | We’re going to take office in the middle of a military incursion you helped launch. | 我们在你帮助发起军事入侵的中 准备接手办公室 |
[20:10] | We don’t just want you, we need you. | 我们不只是想要你 我们需要你 |
[20:12] | The Russians are more willing to talk now than they were before the election. | 俄罗斯人现在更愿意谈判 而不是象选举前那样 |
[20:16] | Between Josh and your Secretary of State… | 在Josh和你国务卿之间 |
[20:17] | …the situation will be well-supervised. | 情势会被很好的掌控着 |
[20:19] | I don’t think you have anything to worry about. | 我想你不需要再担心什么了 |
[20:21] | My Secretary of State’s gonna be Arnold Vinick. | 我的国务卿会是Arnold Vinick |
[20:24] | What? | 什么 |
[20:25] | I’m waiting a couple of days to announce it, but he’s onboard. | 我会等几天再宣布 不过他已经同意了 |
[20:28] | – Arnold Vinick? – He’ll be a huge help with Central Asia… | – 他对亚洲中心的帮助会很大 |
[20:30] | …but it’s a big job, and I don’t want it taking over my presidency. | …但这是个艰巨的工作 我不想在我的任期内接手 |
[20:33] | We’ve got a cabinet to break in, a legislative program to sell… | 我们要进入内阁 实施立法程序 |
[20:36] | Sir, I never entertained the notion I’d stay in the White House. | 先生 我从来没有没对留在白宫 这个想法有兴趣 |
[20:39] | – I’ve been here a long, long time… – Give me two years, C.J. | – 我在这里已经很长很长时间了 – 给我两年 C.J. |
[20:42] | Just until we get things settled. | 只要等到我们把事情稳定下来 |
[20:44] | Special counselor to the president? | 总统的特别参赞怎么样 |
[20:49] | – Sir, l… I wish that I could… – I’m sorry, we’ve got to… | – 先生 我…我希望我可以 – 对不起 我们不得不… |
[20:53] | I’d love to talk to you more about this… | 我很想和你讲更多这方面的事 |
[20:55] | …but they’ve kind of got me on a sprint today. | 但是他们让我今天全力以赴 |
[20:57] | I see I’m gonna have to make this fast and dirty. | 我明白我要尽快接手 |
[20:59] | I’m the president-elect, and I’m asking you to help your country. | 我是当选总统 我在请求你帮助你的国家 |
[21:02] | I’m probably not gonna take no for an answer. | 我不会接受不这个回答 |
[21:04] | So you go home and you think about it, and call me back with a yes. | 那你回家好好考虑一下 然后打电话告诉我好的 |
[21:08] | Thanks for coming in, C.J. | 谢谢你能来 C.J. |
[21:20] | – Hey, there you are. – Yes. | – 嘿 你在这儿 – 是啊 |
[21:22] | I asked you to be on the phone with the Chinese defense minister. | 我让你和中国的国防部长通话 |
[21:25] | – We’ll need you to make the call. – Okay. | – 我们需要你来打这个电话 – 好的 |
[21:26] | Signal will put it through, he wants to feel like we’re approaching him. | 信号会接通的 他希望觉得是我们要联系他 |
[21:29] | – So don’t say “thanks for calling.” – Got it. | – 所以不要说”谢谢来电” – 通了 |
[21:31] | Transition memos. | 交接备忘录 |
[21:32] | – These are all of them? – So far. | – 这是所有的吗 – 能拿到的都拿了 |
[21:34] | – There’s supposed to be 30, this is three. – More to come. | – 大概有30份 都在这里了 – 其他的还会送来 |
[21:37] | – Is yours in this pile? – Not yet. Soon. | – 你的在这里了吗 – 还没有 快了 |
[21:40] | What exactly is the problem? | 到底是有什么问题 |
[21:43] | You may be asked to stay on, you may not. You may get promoted. | 你也许会留下来 也许不会 你也可能会升职 |
[21:46] | Other people are coming in and need to know where to find the pencils. | 其他人会来这里 需要知道哪里可以找到铅笔 |
[21:49] | They need to know what your staff was up to or finishing or starting. | 他们需要知道你们在跟进什么 做过什么 或是着手什么 |
[21:53] | They need to know how to do what you do. | 他们需要知道怎么做你们的工作 |
[21:55] | This is an important part of governing. We’re still governing. | 这是管理的重要一部分 我们还是负责管理 |
[21:59] | Why is this like pulling teeth? | 为什么就那么困难呢 |
[22:01] | – You’ll have it by the end of the day. – Thank you. | – 你会在今天前拿到的 – 谢谢 |
[22:14] | Are you okay? | 你还好吧 |
[22:16] | I think I just got an offer I can’t refuse from Matt Santos. | 我想我刚拿到了份工作 我不能拒绝Matt Santos |
[22:20] | That’s great. | 那很好 |
[22:24] | That’s not great. | 不好 |
[22:25] | You’ve been here two years. It looks different on the far side of eight. | 你来这里两年了 从另一个角度来看完全不同 |
[22:30] | Still. Nice to get the offer. | 不过 有工作还是很好的 |
[22:33] | They’ll be approaching you soon, I’m sure. | 我肯定 他们很快就会联系你的 |
[22:35] | Sure. | 当然 |
[22:39] | What do you think happens… | 你觉得会发生什么 |
[22:42] | …if I ask the president to commute Toby Ziegler’s sentence? | 如果我请求总统 对Toby Ziegler减刑 |
[22:45] | – Are you gonna ask him? – I don’t know. | – 你准备问他吗 – 我不知道 |
[22:46] | – Really? – I’m asking for your opinion. | – 真的吗 – 我在问你的意见 |
[22:51] | My opinion is he compromised a crucial defense-department program. | 我的意见是他破坏了 极其重要的国防部计划 |
[22:56] | He undermined the president’s authority. | 他削弱了总统的威信 |
[22:58] | He committed a federal offense. He goes to jail. | 他触犯联邦法律 他会进监狱的 |
[23:00] | He’s got young children, who for the next five years… | 他的孩子还小 在接下来的五年 |
[23:03] | …will look at him in an orange jump suit across an aluminum picnic table. | …要看到他穿着橙色连体衣 坐在铝制野餐桌对面 |
[23:06] | And don’t get me wrong, l… I’m furious at him. | 不要误会我 我…我对他很生气 |
[23:09] | I wanna kick him in the stomach a few times… | 我想好好打他几次 |
[23:11] | …but I don’t want him to rot in the federal pokey. | 但是我不希望他死在联邦监狱里 |
[23:14] | It’s not your decision, it’s the president’s. | 这不是你能决定的 而是总统的决定 |
[23:16] | – If he wants to pardon him, he will. – So I don’t even bring it up? | – 如果他想赦免他 他会的 – 那我就不该提起了吗 |
[23:19] | If you want to, bring it up… | 如果你想的话 就说吧 |
[23:20] | …but I don’t think this slipped the president’s mind. | 但是我不觉得这会影响总统的 |
[23:24] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[23:26] | – Did Toby apply? – No. | -Toby申请了吗 -没有 |
[23:27] | He may not wanna put the president in a position. | 他也许不想让总统决定 |
[23:30] | – I’m sure he doesn’t. Still… – You should talk to him at least. | – 我肯定他不想 但是… – 你至少该和他谈谈 |
[23:34] | No matter what you do, give him a call. | 无论你做什么 打个电话给他 |
[23:37] | Yeah. | 是 |
[23:41] | – Have you spoken? – To Toby? | – 你讲过话了吗 – 和Toby? |
[23:44] | No. Not since he left. | 不 自从他离开后就没有了 |
[23:47] | – Hi. | – Hi. – 嗨 – 嗨 |
[23:49] | – Bye. – Yes. | – 再见 – 是 |
[23:52] | – Got a few minutes? – Right now? | – 有时间吗 – 现在吗 |
[23:55] | – Yeah, can I kidnap you? Quick lunch? – It’s a little late for lunch. | – 是的 我不会绑架你 吃午饭吧 – 现在吃午餐有点晚了吧 |
[23:58] | – You eat already? – I didn’t. | – 你已经吃了吗 – 没有 |
[24:00] | – See? You gotta eat. Come on. – I have a packed day. | – 看到了吧 你得吃饭 走吧 – 我已经忙了一天了 |
[24:03] | We’ll make it quick. Very snappy. | 我们可以吃的快点 非常快 |
[24:05] | Come on, l… I wanna… | 来吧 我…我想… |
[24:09] | It’s important. | 这很重要 |
[24:14] | – Got a minute? – Of course. | – 有时间吗 – 当然 |
[24:22] | The Santos people offered national security advisor to Glen. | Santos的人提供国家安全顾问 的工作给Glen |
[24:26] | – Really? – Yeah. | – 真的吗 – 是啊 |
[24:27] | – And he’s saying yes? – Yeah. | – 那他同意了吗 – 是 |
[24:29] | – Damn. – I know. I knew it was a long shot… | – 糟糕 – 我知道 我知道这没什么希望 |
[24:31] | …and I’m young for it, but still… – You wanted it. | 但我太年轻 而且… – 你想这个工作 |
[24:35] | – They’ll offer you something else. – Not under Glen. He can’t stand me. | – 他们会提供给你其他的位置的 – 不要在Glen手下 他受不了我 |
[24:40] | – He’s probably scared of you. – Whatever. He’s not giving me a job. | – 他大概是怕你 – 随便吧 他没有给我工作 |
[24:45] | – That sucks. – It sucks a lot. | – 这真糟 – 糟透了 |
[24:49] | How’d it go at D-Triple-C? | 民主国会竞选委员会的怎么样了 |
[24:51] | Nice offer, but it could be a little crazy-making. | 很好的工作 但是会有点让人疯狂 |
[24:53] | It’s already monopolized my whole day. | 这已经占了我一整天了 |
[24:55] | I got stuck on this one race that they think can’t be won and I do. | 我曾经因为竞选而被困住 他们认为赢不了 但是我赢了 |
[24:59] | – Which one? – Oregon 4th. | – 哪次 |
[25:00] | I thought if I could find the right guy, they’d get behind the idea… | 我想要是我能找到合适的人 他们在背后出主意 |
[25:03] | …but as it turns out, there’s a real dearth of ballsy Oregonians. | 但是事实上 这是真的缺少 有胆量的Oregonians. |
[25:06] | Open it up. Find somebody good. They can establish residency in Oregon. | 开始吧 找个有用的人 他们可以在Oregon稳固选区 |
[25:11] | Sure, they buy a house 180 days before the primary and they’re in. | 当然 他们在初选前180天 买了房子 然后住进去 |
[25:14] | But then we’re running a carpetbagger against a 15-year incumbent. | 但是我们找个非当地的政客 对抗15年的在职者 |
[25:17] | Yeah, but it’s better than nothing. What if Oregon weren’t a factor? | 是啊 但是总比没有的好 要是Oregon不是关键呢 |
[25:21] | Place needs a fresh face. Somebody smart, but not so wonky… | 安排个新面孔 聪明点的人 但是不是太可靠 |
[25:24] | …you can’t put him in front of a camera. | 你不能把他放在媒体前 |
[25:26] | Don’t worry about that. Find someone you like. | 别担心这个了 找个你想要的人 |
[25:27] | You can always coach them through talking on the camera. | 你可以训练他们怎么在媒体面前讲话 |
[25:30] | After the press-secretary stint… | 在新闻发言人任期后 |
[25:32] | …you have that down. – More or less. | 你得退下来 – 或多或少 |
[25:34] | God knows you know all there is to know about policy and campaigning. | 天知道 你知道所有关于政策和竞选的事 |
[25:37] | You could push a monkey through the process. | 你可以在选举中放只猴子上去 |
[25:39] | Between your Washington experience and your local-politics experience… | 而你的Washington经历 和地方政治经历之间 |
[25:53] | No. That doesn’t make any sense. | 不 这没有任何意义 |
[25:56] | – Yeah, it does. – It doesn’t. | – 就是这样 – 没有意义 |
[25:58] | – I’m not moving to Oregon, for one thing. – Of course you are. | – 我不会去Oregon只为了一件事 – 你当然会去 |
[26:01] | – I’m not. We’re… – We’re what? | – 我没有 我们要… – 我们要什么 |
[26:04] | – You’ll win. You should run. – No, I won’t… | – 你会赢的 你应该竞选 – 不 我不会的… |
[26:06] | – It’s the right thing. – No, seriously. | – 这个正确的事情 – 不 真的 |
[26:07] | You’ll win. | 你会赢的 |
[26:13] | – You could… – What? | – 你能… – 什么 |
[26:15] | – Move to Oregon? – I don’t know. | – 搬到Oregon去吗 – 我不知道 |
[26:16] | – I’m not moving to Oregon. – I’m not moving either. | – 我不会去Oregon的 – 我也不会去的 |
[26:18] | No, I think you are. | 不 我想你会的 |
[26:26] | – You cold? – I’m fine. | – 你的感冒呢 – 我好了 |
[26:27] | You’re racing there. Wanna slow down? | 你在那里竞选 想慢慢来吗 |
[26:29] | Sorry. I wanna get there, so we can eat and get back. | 对不起 我想到那里 那我们边吃边回到这里 |
[26:31] | There’s no place. There’s a vendor up the block. | 那里没有位置了 街那里有个自动贩卖机 |
[26:33] | We’ll have a hot dog. | 我们可以吃热狗 |
[26:36] | Great. So, what was so important? | 太好了 那 什么事那么重要 |
[26:39] | – What? – You said it was important. | – 什么 – 你说过是重要的事情 |
[26:40] | – It’s this. The walk. The day. – That’s it? | – 这就是了 散步 这样一天 – 就这样 |
[26:44] | You’re locked up in that building all day. It was gorgeous out here. | 你已经被关在那个楼里一整天了 外面有多漂亮啊 |
[26:47] | I thought you should see it. | 我想你该看看 |
[26:49] | I have a packed day. | 我今天要交接工作 |
[26:51] | That’s really sweet, but today is not the time for it. | 真体贴 但是今天没时间做这个 |
[26:53] | – Okay, sorry. – No, it’s okay. | – 好吧 对不起 – 不 没关系 |
[26:54] | It might do us good to see each other in the daylight. | 在白天看到对方也许对我们很好 |
[26:57] | We’re together from 11 to midnight or 5 to 6 a.m. | 我们总是在11点到午夜或是 早上五六点时在一起 |
[26:59] | We’re both half asleep. | 我们俩都半梦半醒的 |
[27:00] | It leads to a lot of tension that’s probably unnecessary… | 这会导致很多紧张 也许是没必要 |
[27:03] | …like this morning, for example. | …就象今天早上那样 |
[27:06] | I thought it might be a healthy 20 minutes. You can tell me about your day. | 我想这可能是健康的20分钟 你可以和我说说你的一天 |
[27:09] | My day. | 我的一天 |
[27:11] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[27:13] | Franklin Hollis showed up in my office with the most attractive offer… | Franklin Hollis到了我的办公室 给我个很诱人的工作 |
[27:17] | …I think I’ve ever heard, which I believe I’ll have to turn down… | 我想我听说过 但我想我不得不拒绝 |
[27:21] | …because I had a meeting with the president-elect… | 因为我和当选总统见过面 |
[27:23] | …and it looks like I’m gonna work in the White House a couple more years. | 我大概还得在白宫再多工作几年 |
[27:28] | I don’t see a guy with a hot dog. | 我没看到卖热狗的人 |
[27:32] | – Did you say yes? – To Santos? | – 你答应了吗 – 对Santos吗 |
[27:35] | Not yet. Probably tomorrow. | 还没有 大概明天吧 |
[27:39] | That’s great. Just… | 太好了 只是… |
[27:43] | What? | 怎么了 |
[27:50] | Did you consider talking to me about it? | 你有想过和我商量吗 |
[27:52] | – Are you serious? – Yeah, I’m serious. | – 你认真的吗 – 是的 我很认真 |
[27:55] | – No, I didn’t. – That’s great. | – 不 我没有 – 很好 |
[27:59] | – We don’t have that relationship yet. – Apparently. | – 我们还没有到这样的关系 – 显而易见 |
[28:04] | What made you think you should be making decisions about my career? | 是什么让你觉得 你该对我的事业做决定的 |
[28:07] | One, I’m not, I’m trying to be a part of a conversation about them. | 第一 我没有 我试着成为这些对话的一部分 |
[28:10] | Two, if we don’t have that kind of relationship, what kind do we have? | 第二 如果我们没有这样的关系 那我们是什么关系 |
[28:13] | I don’t… I don’t wanna answer that question right now. | 我不… 我不想现在回答 |
[28:16] | We agreed to discuss this after the inauguration. | 我们说好在就职典礼后讨论的 |
[28:19] | – Not if you’re working for Matt Santos. – You know what…? | – 要是你不为Matt Santos工作的话 – 你知道什么…? |
[28:21] | First 100 days, agenda setting, first State of the Union. | 第一个100天 设置议程 首次国情咨文 |
[28:23] | Talk to me after we release the budget, summit at Tashkent. | 在我们公布预算后再和我说 高层会议就在Tashkent. |
[28:26] | – What else? – Okay… | – 还有什么 – 好的 |
[28:28] | We keep shoving this conversation downstream. | 我们要坚持顺势取消这个对话 |
[28:30] | At some point, you have to choose to have a relationship. | 可以说 你要选择一段关系 |
[28:34] | We’re not 25 anymore. At our age, you can’t date a little… | 我们不再是25岁了 在我们这样的年纪 你不能只约会 |
[28:37] | …and screw a little, wait to see if you get sentimental at Christmas. | 再搞砸 然后等着自己在圣诞节会不会伤感 |
[28:40] | You have to decide you’re gonna make another person a part of your life. | 你要决定是不是 让一个人成为你生命的一部分 |
[28:43] | A partner. | 一个伴侣 |
[28:45] | – I don’t have time for this right now. – Yes, you do. | – 我现在没时间讨论这个 – 是 你没时间 |
[28:48] | I called Margaret before I came by. | 我在来之前打电话给Margaret |
[28:50] | I’m not a moron. I called, and you have 20 minutes. Hell, you have an hour. | 我不是傻瓜 我打了电话 你有20分钟 天啊 你有一个小时 |
[28:54] | You’re not the busiest girl in America. That’s not your life anymore. | 你不是美国最忙的女孩 那已经不再是你的生活了 |
[28:58] | Look… | 看… |
[29:00] | …I’m not trying to turn you into Doris Day. | 我不是想让你变成Doris Day |
[29:03] | I know if we have a future together, I’d be Mr. C.J. Cregg. That’s fine. | 我知道如果我们将来会在一起 我愿意当C.J. Cregg先生 没关系 |
[29:09] | But you don’t even see me in the picture, do you? | 但是你甚至都没把我考虑在内 是不是 |
[29:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[29:26] | That’s useful information. | 这是很有用的信息 |
[29:49] | – The president-elect needs to talk to you. – Now’s not the best time. | – 当选总统想和你谈谈 – 现在不是最好的时机 |
[29:52] | I tried to push it, but he’s already in the building. | 我想推掉的 但他已经到了 |
[29:56] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[29:59] | – Sorry. – It’s fine, but I have to go through… | – 对不起 – 没关系 但是我仔细全面的 |
[30:01] | …the federal budget with a lice comb. It’ll take hours. | 复查联邦预算 这会很花时间的 |
[30:03] | That’s why we left room in the schedule. This is not a quiet day. It’s a full day. | 这就是为什么我们要准时离开 今天真不清闲 太忙了 |
[30:11] | He’s here. | 他来了 |
[30:14] | – Mr. President-Elect. – Walk with me to the Situation Room. | – 当选总统先生 – 陪我到情况室 |
[30:18] | – Fifty cents a gallon? – You read our budget? | – 每加仑50美分? – 你看过我们的预算了? |
[30:21] | – Supposed to be a placeholder document. – Paperweight, yes. | – 是个占地方的文件 – 象镇纸 是啊 |
[30:23] | You’re proposing a tax that would hammer the working poor… | 你的建议税收会逼死工人的 |
[30:26] | …and make Democrats look like Norwegian socialists. | 让民主党就象挪威社会主义者 |
[30:29] | It’ll cut the deficit, improve air quality… | 这会减少赤字 提高空气质量 |
[30:31] | …reduce greenhouse gases, curb our addiction to Middle East oil. | 减少温室效应 控制我们对中东石油的依赖 |
[30:34] | – There’s a way to sell an upside. – Of course there is. | – 这是个提高支持率的方法 – 这当然是 |
[30:37] | Senate Republicans will set their hair on fire. | 参议院共和党为公平 会选他们的人 |
[30:39] | The president wanted to present a road map… | 总统想要份线路图 |
[30:41] | …for reasonable governing. – Road map? For the country or me? | 为了合理管理 – 线路图? 为了国家还是我 |
[30:43] | It’s what he would’ve done if he didn’t have to mudwrestle Congress… | 如果他不用和国会在每个…周旋 他是不会这么做的 |
[30:46] | …over every… – Congress isn’t going anywhere. | – 国会不会去任何地方的 |
[30:48] | – It opens a dialogue… – C.J., now is not the time. | – 这就引起了对话… – C.J. 现在不是时候 |
[30:51] | Now is exactly the time. We’re hemorrhaging money into Kazakhstan. | 现在正是时候 我们把血汗钱都给 |
[30:54] | The Republican Congress spent us into a bottomless hole. | 共和党国会让我们陷入无底洞 |
[30:57] | – I noticed. – You’ve got 100 days to corral… | – 我注意到了 – 你有100天来控制… |
[30:59] | …House Democrats and launch a legislative program… | 众议院民主党人 启动立法程序 |
[31:02] | …that balances the budget… | 可以平衡预算 |
[31:03] | …or you’re gonna spend the next four years in the shadow of our failures. | 或者你要再花四年 在我们的失败阴影中 |
[31:06] | I’m not arguing on limits on deductions. | 我不是在争论削减的限度 |
[31:08] | You got 100 billion in spending cuts that I’m all for. But come on… | 你把100亿用在削减我所有的 但是算了吧 |
[31:11] | Congress will reject your first budget unless the Bartlet version… | 国会会否决你的第一次预算 除非Bartlet说明… |
[31:14] | …is so inflammatory, yours can’t help but look reasoned and measured. | …这是很煽动人的 你的人不能帮忙 但看来有理有利 |
[31:23] | Why not go after capital gains? | 为什么 追求资本 |
[31:26] | Or up the income ceiling on Social Security taxes… | 或是收入达到社会保险税上限… |
[31:29] | …if you wanna raise a ruckus? | 难道你想上演出闹剧吗 |
[31:30] | – He’s talked about that for five years. – Yes, but… | – 他讨论了这个有五年了 – 是的 但是… |
[31:33] | He’s never even considered a gas tax before. | 他之前从来没有考虑过汽油税 |
[31:37] | Was this even his idea? | 那这真是他的主意吗 |
[31:38] | – The president supports… – Yes or no. | – 总统支持的是… – 是还是不是 |
[31:40] | If we propose a 50-cent gas tax… | 如果我们提议50分的汽油税… |
[31:42] | …it’s a non-event if you propose a 5-cent tax. | 如果你提议5美分的税 这就不算事件了 |
[31:45] | Jed Bartlet just saved you $30 billion. | Jed Bartlet刚为你节省了30亿 |
[31:48] | You mean, you just saved me $30 billion. | 你的意思是 你刚为我节省了30亿 |
[31:50] | – Well… – You’re not wrong. It’s a good idea. | – 好… – 你没有错 这是个好主意 |
[31:53] | How long did it take you to talk him into it? | 你用了多久和他说到这个 |
[31:56] | More than five minutes, less than 20. If your staff… | 超过五分钟 不超过20分钟 如果你的手下 |
[31:59] | …can’t get you onboard faster, they don’t know what they’re talking about. | 不能让你上位更快的话 他们不知道自己在说什么 |
[32:02] | That’s a good rule of thumb. | 这是个很好的经验法则 |
[32:04] | We’re not trying to leave a dead cat on your doorstep. | 我们没有留给你个烂摊子 |
[32:07] | A gas tax increase may be the single best thing… | 提高汽油税也许会发生在这个国家 |
[32:10] | …that could happen to this country. – Yeah. | …的最好的信号 – 是的 |
[32:15] | Tell the president I’d appreciate it if he pulled it from his budget. | 告诉总统我很感激 如果他可以把这抽出预算 |
[32:21] | You think it’s worth doing? Come work for me. | 你觉得值得这样做吗 过来帮我吧 |
[32:24] | We’ll do it together. | 我们可以一起干 |
[32:33] | Good evening, sir. Mind if I take a quick look? | 晚上好 先生 介意我看一下吗 |
[32:46] | All clear. Thank you. | 安全了 谢谢 |
[32:52] | – Thanks. – It’s not a gift. I need a drink. | – 谢谢 – 这不是礼物 我得喝一杯 |
[32:56] | – Would you like to sit? – I sit all day. | – 你愿意坐下吗 – 我已经坐了一天了 |
[33:01] | – Should I be feeding you or just booze? – Booze is fine. I can’t eat today. | – 我该给你点吃的还是灌醉你呢 – 酒就可以了 我今天不想吃 |
[33:04] | – You sure? I made a chicken. – No. | – 你确定吗 我煮了鸡了 – 不 |
[33:07] | So how are you? | 那你过的怎么样 |
[33:09] | Oh, groovy. | 哦 非常好 |
[33:11] | – When do you go? – Twenty-sixth. | – 你什么时候走 – 26号 |
[33:15] | – What have you been doing? – Cooking this chicken took some time. | – 你都干了什么 – 煮这只鸡花了点时间 |
[33:18] | I read a lot. I’ve read really all the books at this point. | 我读了很多 我已经读了现在所有的书 |
[33:21] | – Anything good? – I’ll make you a list. | – 都还好吗 – 我会给你列个名单 |
[33:24] | I read the Constitution. I think I found a typo. | 我看过宪法了 我想我找到一个排印错误 |
[33:26] | – In the Constitution? – Yeah. | – 在宪法里吗 – 是的 |
[33:27] | – Did you call the publisher? – It’s a typo in the original. | – 你给出版社打过电话了吗 – 这是在初版里的错误 |
[33:30] | – Constitution? – Yeah. | – 宪法? – 是的 |
[33:32] | – Sounds unlikely. – I read two versions… | – 听上去不可能 – 我读过两个版本… |
[33:34] | …because I have time, and there’s an inconsistent comma. | …因为我有时间 有一个相互矛盾的逗号 |
[33:39] | – No. – So I looked at every English language… | – 不 – 所以我看过了每种现有的 |
[33:41] | …publication that exists. Half of them have the comma, half of them don’t. | …英语出版物 一半有逗号 另一半没有逗号 |
[33:45] | – Really? – Yeah. I called the National Archives… | – 真的吗 – 是 我给国家档案局打电话 |
[33:49] | …and had some woman look at the original. | …让一些女人看过初版 |
[33:51] | She said she wasn’t sure if it was a comma or a smudge. | 她说她不肯定是逗号还是污点 |
[33:55] | – There’s a smudge? – Yeah, a smudge of law. | – 是污点吗 – 是啊 法律的污点 |
[33:57] | Does it change the…? | 这会改变…? |
[33:58] | Changes the meaning of the Takings Clause. | 改变扣押人质的定义 |
[34:00] | – Seriously? I’m sure it doesn’t. – I called Tom Merrill, he thinks it does. | – 真的吗 我肯定不是 – 我给Tom Merrill打电话 他觉得是 |
[34:03] | – Really? Should we do something? – I’m gonna write it up. | – 真的? 我们该做些事情吗 – 我要写下来 |
[34:07] | I have a window in the calendar. | 我的日程上有个空白 |
[34:10] | It’s Petersburg, right? | 是彼得斯堡对吗 |
[34:12] | Yeah. Low security. Which certainly outshines the alternatives… | 是 安全性低 但总比二选一要好… |
[34:15] | …but still… – Yeah. | …但还是… – 是啊 |
[34:17] | – Bunks. Ten in a room. – Like camp. | – 十个床铺一间屋子 – 就象野营 |
[34:21] | Exactly, like camp. | 确实 就象野营 |
[34:24] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[34:27] | – Maybe we should try to do something. – Dig a tunnel? | – 也许我们该试着做一些事情 – 挖个隧道? |
[34:30] | Andy came by. She mentioned the idea of a pardon. | Andy来过了 她提到赦免的想法 |
[34:36] | She and I need to have a conversation about who talks… | 她和我需要谈一谈关于… |
[34:38] | …to whom concerning my future. – She’s worried about the twins. | …谁该来关心我的将来 – 她担心双胞胎 |
[34:42] | For a moment, I thought you came because you gave a crap… | 有一刻 我以为你来是因为你 搞糟了 |
[34:45] | …and wanted to see how I was doing. | …想看看我是怎么做的 |
[34:46] | I gave a crap enough to ask if you wanted a pardon… | 我已经糟糕到来问你想不想赦免 |
[34:49] | …despite the fact that you walked out on me and the president… | …不管事实是你离开我和总统 |
[34:51] | …while we still had a job to do. | …在我们还有工作的时候 |
[34:53] | You don’t need a pardon, just a frying pan to the side of your head. | 你不需要赦免 只要个煎锅在你脑袋边 |
[34:56] | – I don’t want a pardon. – Well, that simplifies matters, thanks. | – 我不想要赦免 – 好 这让事情简单了 谢谢 |
[35:02] | You don’t wanna consider what this’ll do to Molly and Huck? | 你难道不考虑 这对Molly和Huck有什么影响吗 |
[35:05] | You think I haven’t? | 你以为我没有吗 |
[35:07] | Okay. | 好了 |
[35:12] | – And you? They must be flocking. – Yeah. | – 那你呢 他们一定成群结队的 – 是的 |
[35:16] | – Well, that’s gotta feel pretty good. – Frank Hollis made me an offer. | – 那感觉应该非常好 – Frank Hollis给了我工作 |
[35:19] | – Yeah? – But so did Matt Santos. | – 是吗? – 但是Matt Santos也是 |
[35:21] | – Well, he has to. – No. | – 是啊 他不得不这么做 – 不 |
[35:25] | It’s a serious offer. He made me an offer… | 这是个重要的工作 他给我这个工作… |
[35:28] | …he made Arnold Vinick an offer. | …也给可Arnold Vinick工作 |
[35:31] | – Secretary of State. – He did not. | – 国务卿 – 他不可能 |
[35:33] | He did. | 他这么做了 |
[35:37] | That might be the smartest thing he’s done. | 这可能是他做过的最聪明的事了 |
[35:39] | – Impressive, huh? – You’d be a get too. | – 印象深刻 是不是 – 你也是一样吧 |
[35:41] | Are you gonna do it? | 你会去做吗 |
[35:44] | Probably. I… | 也许 我… |
[35:47] | I don’t know. It’s complicated. | 我不知道 这很复杂 |
[35:50] | Why? | 为什么 |
[35:53] | Danny Concanon. | |
[35:55] | – I heard something about that. – We’ve spent time together… | – 我听说了 – 我在一起过的… |
[35:58] | …which is perfectly nice, but he’s getting ahead of himself. | …非常的开心 但是他超过该有的限度了 |
[36:00] | I mean, I’m not ready to shape my life around a guy I’ve been with for a month. | 我是说我还没准备好和一个在一起 一个月的人分享我的人生 |
[36:04] | You didn’t pick him up in a bar last Thursday. | 你上周四没有到酒吧接他 |
[36:06] | You’ve been close for eight years. | 你们认识有八年了 |
[36:08] | That doesn’t mean it magically falls into place once we take the leap. | 这不意味着奇迹般使我们有飞跃 |
[36:11] | What? I’m not resisting. | 什么 我没有坚持 |
[36:15] | – You’re not? – I’m not a woman who can’t… | – 你没有 – 我不是那种女人… |
[36:16] | …handle a good thing standing in front of them. | …能把握好事情 站在他们面前 |
[36:18] | – Good. – Why don’t you sound convinced? | – 好的 – 为什么你听上去不坚定呢 |
[36:20] | You spend your whole life… | 你用了一生的时间… |
[36:22] | …working for powerful, demanding men 24/7. | 为权力工作 整天的命令男人 |
[36:25] | That’s a lot of testosterone in your world. | 你的世界已经有够多的男人味了 |
[36:27] | – Which has what to do with anything? – You didn’t need to date. | – 这和其他的事情有关系吗 – 你不需要约会 |
[36:29] | You had Josh and Sam and me… | 你有Josh Sam 和我 |
[36:31] | …and 180 reporters flirting with you day in and day out. | 还有180记者 和你每天调情 |
[36:33] | – Come on. – It’s a lot of positive male attention. | – 别这样 – 有很多积极的男性关注 |
[36:36] | Now you’re slotting in Matt Santos, maybe Frank Hollis. | 现在你要到Matt Santos去 也许是Frank Hollis |
[36:39] | So, what? You think this is a Freudian temper tantrum? | 那又怎么样 你以为是Freudian暴怒发作吗 |
[36:43] | You showed up here at 8:00 at night with a bottle of wine… | 你在晚上八点出现在这里 拿着瓶酒… |
[36:45] | …asking me about a pardon we both know is out of the question… | …问我赦免的事情 我们都知道这不是问题… |
[36:48] | …telling me about a man who’s crowding you. | …告诉我那个为你着迷的男人 |
[36:51] | – I think a lot of things. – You think I came to take advantage… | – 我考虑很多事情 – 你以为我是来这占便宜的吗 |
[36:55] | …before they cart you off? – I think you don’t know why you came. | …在他们把你强行带走前 – 我想你不知道你为什么来 |
[37:01] | You’re a woman with a lot of options. | 你是个有很多选择的女人 |
[37:03] | You’re acting like the world’s backing you into a corner. | 你却表现出整个世界逼你到角落 |
[37:06] | Bouncing from one thing to the next, from Bartlet to Santos to Danny to me. | 拒绝所有的事情 从Bartlet到 Santos 还有Danny和我 |
[37:14] | Maybe you should stop bouncing, pick something. | 也许你该停止拒绝了 学会接受了 |
[37:18] | What do you want? | 你想要什么 |
[37:20] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[37:25] | I’d like to learn how to make a chicken like that. | 我想学煮出这样的鸡 |
[37:27] | Stick a lemon up it and throw on some rosemary. | 塞个柠檬在里面 再放些迷迭香 |
[37:30] | – Yeah? – Yeah. A little salt. | – 是吗 – 是的 还要点盐 |
[37:32] | I’d like to learn how to ski. | 我想学怎么划雪 |
[37:35] | That would be soothing. Be a ski bum. Operate the ski chair for six months. | 真让人安慰 用廉价的滑雪工具 花上六个月修理滑雪椅 |
[37:38] | – Clear my head. – It’s a chair lift. | – 放松自己 – 那是缆椅 |
[37:40] | Well, first I’d learn the lingo. Take it from there. | 好 我想学当地的方言 |
[37:51] | I missed you. | 我想你 |
[37:54] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[37:57] | We had it good there for a while. | 我们在那里有段美好的日子 |
[37:59] | Yeah, we did. | 是 我们有过 |
[38:09] | You should go. | 你该走了 |
[38:10] | – You kicking me out? – Yeah. | – 你赶我走吗 – 是的 |
[38:14] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:20] | – Thanks for asking about the pardon. – Of course. | – 谢谢你问了我赦免的事 – 没关系 |
[38:22] | No, not of course. You didn’t have to. | 不 不是的 你不必这么做的 |
[39:05] | Where to? | 去哪里 |
[39:20] | Good evening, sir. | 晚上好 先生 |
[39:41] | – Thank you, sir. – Thank you. | – 谢谢 先生 – 谢谢 |
[39:57] | I missed the window. That’s what’s going on here. | 我想念窗户 在这里发生的事情 |
[40:00] | I missed the window to figure out how to do this. | 我想念这窗户 算出要怎么做 |
[40:06] | – How to…? – Share my life with another person. | – 怎么…? – 和另一个人分享我的人生 |
[40:08] | How to be a partner or whatever condescending way you put it this… | 如何去做个伴侣 或是任何你说过的方式… |
[40:12] | – I wasn’t trying… – I don’t know how to do it. | – 我没有尝试… – 我不知道要怎么做 |
[40:15] | Maybe at one point I did, maybe I never did… | 也许我可以 也许我永远不能 |
[40:17] | …but it’s over now. It’s too late. | …但是现在结束了 太晚了 |
[40:19] | This and skiing, it’s too late. It’s not gonna happen. | 这 还有划雪 都太晚了 这不可能发生了 |
[40:22] | – C. J… – You said yourself… | – 你说过自己… |
[40:23] | …it’s not an accident that this hasn’t come together. | …这没有发生并不是个意外 |
[40:26] | This is who I am. I’m good at my job, Danny. | 这就是我 我能做好工作 Danny |
[40:28] | I’m good at working. I’m not good at this. | 我擅长工作 但我不擅长这个 |
[40:31] | You’re right. You suck at it. | 你说的对 你很糟糕 |
[40:32] | You’re gonna need a tremendous amount of training. | 你需要非常大量的训练 |
[40:34] | – You’re not gonna… – I am, actually. | – 你不会是要… – 是的 真的 |
[40:36] | – Train me? – I’ll call it something else… | – 训练我? – 我可以称做其他的… |
[40:38] | …that’s bad. We’ll deal with it. | …这样不好 但我们能解决的 |
[40:40] | – I don’t need training. – No, of course not. | – 我不需要训练 – 不 当然不 |
[40:43] | – That’s not funny. – No, it isn’t. You’re gonna get good at it. | – 这不有趣 – 不 当然不 你会擅长的 |
[40:47] | We’re gonna get good at new things. | 我们都会变得擅长新的东西 |
[40:49] | – You don’t know that. – I do. | – 你不知道 – 我知道 |
[40:50] | – Don’t make it sound like it’s nothing. – You didn’t miss it. | – 不要让这听起来没什么 – 你不会错过的 |
[40:53] | – What if I did? – You didn’t miss it. | – 要是我错过了呢 – 你不会的 |
[40:55] | – What if we can’t…? – We’ll figure it out. All of it. | – 要是我们不能…? – 我们会解决的 所有的一切 |
[40:59] | – You… – You can be scared. | – 你… – 你会被吓到的 |
[41:01] | No, that’s okay. | 不 没关系 |
[41:04] | But you’re not gonna walk away from me because you’re scared. | 但是你不能因为害怕就离开我 |
[41:08] | I’m not that scary. | 我没那么可怕 |
[41:25] | So do you want me to take… | 那你希望我接受… |
[41:29] | …one of the board of directors jobs? | …哪一边的领导工作呢 |
[41:31] | – A couple hours a month. – Where did that come from? | – 一个月几小时的 – 为什么说起这个 |
[41:33] | I’m trying. You… You wanna be involved. | 我在尝试 你…你想被牵扯进来 |
[41:36] | – I’m… I’m… – I want you to do what you want. | – 我是… 我是… – 我想你去做你想做的 |
[41:38] | Take the job at the White House. Just talk to me about it. | 在白宫找个工作 然后和我聊聊 |
[41:41] | I want us to talk about what it’ll mean, and how it’ll work. | 我希望我们能够讨论这是什么意思 会怎么工作 |
[41:44] | I want us to talk like we’re gonna figure it out together. | 我希望我们能讨论 那些我们一起想出的事情 |
[41:47] | I want us to talk because I like the sound of your voice. | 我希望我们能聊天 因为我喜欢你的声音 |
[41:53] | I just wanna talk. | 我只是喜欢聊天 |
[42:03] | Franklin Hollis wants me to take $ 10 billion and go and fix the world. | Franklin Hollis想让我拿10亿 维修这个世界 |
[42:10] | That sounds like fun. | 听上去很有趣 |
[42:12] | Does that sound like fun to you? | 对你来说有趣吗 |
[42:17] | Do you wanna work at the White House? | 你想在白宫工作吗 |
[42:34] | There’s a typo in the Constitution. | 宪法里有个排印错误 |
[42:37] | Well, someone should look into that. | 有人该深入调查 |
[42:39] | Toby’s gonna deal with it. | Toby会处理的 |
[42:40] | Okay. | 好的 |
[42:42] | What else? | 还有呢 |