时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:53] | “Boundaries of… | “不拘于… |
[00:59] | ‘propriety… | “礼节… |
[01:04] | “vigorously assaulted… | “随心所欲… |
[01:16] | “…propriety were…” | “…礼节…” |
[02:11] | “The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted. | “不拘礼节 随心所欲 |
[02:16] | “The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, as was only right, | “不拘礼节 随心所欲 这没错 |
[02:20] | “but not quite breached, as was also right. | “但从不过头 这也没错 |
[02:22] | “Nevertheless, | “然而… |
[02:26] | “she was not pleased.” | “她并不满足” |
[02:48] | – What is it? – Jane. | 怎么回事? 是简 |
[03:03] | Jane! | 简! |
[03:04] | 成为简・奥斯汀 | |
[03:10] | Oh, dear me. | 天呢 |
[03:12] | That girl needs a husband. | 得给那姑娘找个丈夫 |
[03:16] | And who’s good enough? Nobody. | 谁又配得上呢? 没人 |
[03:20] | I blame you for that. | 这都怪你 |
[03:23] | Being too much the model of perfection. | 怪我是个完美的模范 |
[03:27] | I’ve shared your bed for 32 years | 和你同床32年了 |
[03:29] | and perfection is something I have not encountered. | 我从没遇到过完美的事 |
[03:33] | Yet. | 到目前为止 |
[03:38] | No. Stop it. Mr Austen, | 别这样 停下来 奥斯汀先生 |
[03:40] | it’s Sunday! Stop, no, it’s… | 今天是礼拜天 停下来 别 今天是… |
[03:47] | The utmost of a woman’s character is expressed in the duties of daughter, | 女人的特性最充分地表现在 她作为女儿… |
[03:53] | sister and, eventually, wife and mother. | 姐妹 最终作为一个妻子和母亲的责任 |
[03:59] | It is secured by soft attraction, | 这依赖于她那温柔的魅力 |
[04:02] | virtuous love and quiet in the early morning. | 高尚的爱 和清晨的安宁 |
[04:07] | If a woman happens to have a particular superiority, | 如果一个女人碰巧生有所长 |
[04:10] | for example, a profound mind, it is best kept a profound secret. | 比方说 深远的智慧 最好藏作一个秘密 |
[04:15] | Humour is liked more, but wit? No. | 幽默更讨人喜欢 但智慧不是 |
[04:20] | It is the most treacherous talent of them all. | 拥有那种才华是最大的危险 |
[04:23] | Now, George, old fellow, you know you have to stay. | 好了 乔治 你得留下来 |
[04:27] | – Jenny! – George, George. | 珍妮! |
[04:36] | Hurry along, Jane! We’ll be late! | 快跟上 简 我们要迟了 |
[04:40] | When Her Ladyship calls, we must obey. | 夫人下令时 我们就得遵命 |
[05:12] | Come along, Jane. | 快点 简 |
[05:24] | Lady Gresham, may I introduce my niece | 格雷欣夫人 允许我介绍 我的侄女 |
[05:27] | Comtesse De Feuillide | 德・芙伊德伯爵夫人 |
[05:30] | and Mr Fowle, Cassandra’s fiance. | 还有福先生 卡珊德拉的未婚夫 |
[05:33] | Comtesse? Then you presume to be French? | 伯爵夫人? 你该是法国人吧 |
[05:38] | By marriage. | 是嫁过来的 |
[05:39] | Monsieur le Comte is not here to pay his respects? | 伯爵先生不亲自来拜访? |
[05:41] | A prior engagement, ma’am, | 他有约在先 夫人 |
[05:44] | Monsieur le Comte was obliged to pay his respects to | 必须去拜访勒・吉约坦夫人 |
[05:46] | Madame le Guillotine. | (Guillotine指断头台 暗指已过世) |
[05:51] | I see your nephew is with us again. | 又见到您的侄子了 |
[05:55] | Mr Wisley. | 韦斯利先生 |
[05:57] | Wisley is indispensable to my happiness. | 韦斯利就是我幸福的源泉 |
[06:04] | Well, do sit down. | 都坐吧 |
[06:12] | Mr Fowle and Cassandra are only recently engaged. | 福先生和卡珊德拉才刚订婚 |
[06:17] | When shall you marry? | 你们什么时候结婚? |
[06:19] | – Not for some time, Your Ladyship. – Why not? | 暂时不会 尊贵的夫人 为什么? |
[06:21] | I’m also engaged to go to the West Indies | 我要作为克雷文爵士的随军牧师 |
[06:23] | with Lord Craven’s expedition against the French, as chaplain. | 远赴西印度群岛参加对法作战 |
[06:27] | What has Craven offered you? | 克雷文给了你什么? |
[06:29] | I’ve hopes of a parish on my return. | 回来时我有希望得到一个教区 |
[06:32] | How much is it worth? | 那值多少? |
[06:35] | Enough to marry on, in a modest way. | 足够举办婚礼 不铺张的话 |
[06:43] | Mr Wisley, did you know the Basingstoke assemblies resume? | 韦斯利先生 你听说镇上的舞会了吗 |
[06:48] | Very soon, I believe. | 快到了 我想 |
[06:51] | Jane does enjoy a ball. | 简非常喜欢舞会 |
[06:53] | Wisley can’t abide them. | 韦斯利受不了舞会 |
[07:00] | But, sir, | 但是 先生 |
[07:02] | a ball is an indispensable blessing to the juvenile part of the neighbourhood. | 舞会非常有益于邻里附近的青年人 |
[07:07] | Everything agreeable in the way of talking and sitting down together | 大家坐下来 聊聊天 很惬意 |
[07:10] | all managed with the utmost decorum. | 这也合乎礼仪 |
[07:13] | An amiable man could not object. | 作为一位绅士是不该拒绝的 |
[07:20] | Then I find I’m converted. | 那我还是去 |
[07:24] | Displayed like a brood mare. | 就像匹柔弱的母马 |
[07:26] | – Mr Wisley is a highly eligible young gentleman. – Oh, Mother! | 韦斯利先生可是个非常合适的人选 妈妈! |
[07:31] | – You know our situation, Jane. – Oh! | 你得明白我们的状况 简 |
[07:34] | And he is Lady Gresham’s favourite nephew and heir. | 他是格雷欣夫人最疼爱的侄子 |
[07:38] | One day, he shall inherit this. | 他迟早会继承这里 |
[07:42] | Excellent prospects! | 多好的景色! |
[07:50] | His small fortune will not buy me. | 他那几个臭钱收买不了我 |
[07:53] | What will buy you, cousin? | 那什么才能收买你 表妹? |
[08:00] | It’s not finished yet. | 还没结束呢 |
[08:01] | More wary in the world, Mr Lefroy. | 机灵点 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[08:11] | You can pay me for that later. | 打完再付钱吧 |
[08:13] | Come on, Mr Lefroy. | 上啊 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[08:23] | Come on, man, hit him! | 上啊 打他! |
[08:26] | Lefroy! | 勒弗罗伊! |
[08:40] | – WOMAN: Glass of wine with you, sir? – Madam. | 要来杯酒吗 先生? 很荣幸 |
[08:50] | – Displaying to advantage, I see, Lefroy. Like the sword, Austen. | 打得不错啊 勒弗罗伊 就差一点 奥斯汀 |
[08:56] | How long before you have to get back to the sticks? | 这次待多久再回乡下去? |
[08:58] | A day. | 一天 |
[08:59] | So soon? | 这么快? |
[09:01] | Doghouse, debts, but one must cut some sort of | 有麻烦 一屁股债 不过 就算只是个民兵 |
[09:03] | a figure even in the militia. | 也要显出些尊严了 |
[09:04] | Especially when condemned to a parsonage, my friend. | 尤其是在牧师面前 我的朋友 |
[09:07] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[09:09] | Still, who is this sour-faced little virgin? | 那个红脸小处男是谁? |
[09:14] | Your pardon, ma’am. | 劳驾 女士 |
[09:17] | Mr Tom Lefroy, may I present Mr John Warren? | 汤姆・勒弗罗伊先生 让我介绍下约翰・沃伦先生 |
[09:20] | Joining me in Hampshire, my father is preparing us both for holy orders. | 父亲要我们两个回汉普郡供神职 |
[09:25] | I understand you’ve visited Hampshire, Mr Lefroy. | 我知道你来过汉普郡 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[09:28] | Last year. | 去年 |
[09:31] | Long visit, was it? | 待了很长时间吧 |
[09:32] | Very long, Mr Warren. Almost three hours. | 是很长 沃伦先生 将近3个小时 |
[09:35] | Mr Austen, you’re devilishly handsome. A kiss, a kiss. | 奥斯汀先生太英俊了 亲一个 亲一个 |
[09:41] | So, Tom, where should we go? Vauxhall Gardens? | 汤姆 我们去哪儿? 沃克斯花园? |
[09:43] | Been there. | 去过了 |
[09:45] | Lefroy, there’s a Tahitian Love Fest on at White’s. | 勒弗罗伊 怀特家 有个塔希提式的爱情舞会 |
[09:47] | Seen it. | 看过了 |
[09:48] | – Crockford’s? – Crockford’s? Done that. | 克劳克福德呢 克劳克福德? 玩过了 |
[09:51] | Or did it do me? | 好像吧 |
[09:52] | Wh-wh-wh-what is a Tahitian Love Fest? | 塔希提爱情舞会是怎么回事? |
[10:06] | Warren! | 沃伦! |
[10:19] | I humbly beg your pardon, sir. | 不好意思 先生 我过一下 |
[10:22] | Theft of one pig is a crime, heinous to be sure, | 偷一头猪是犯罪 毫无疑问非常可恨 |
[10:26] | but two pigs… | 但是偷两头猪… |
[10:30] | Two pigs is a violent assault on the very sanctity of private property itself. | 是对私人财产不可侵犯的亵渎 |
[10:41] | You and your kind are a canker on the body social. | 你和你这样的人是社会的弊害 |
[10:49] | And cankers are cut out. | 必须被清除 |
[10:53] | Transportation for life. Next. | 终身流放 下一个 |
[10:57] | – Why are you here in London, sir? – To learn the law. | 你来伦敦是为了什么 先生? 学习法律 |
[11:01] | – Which has no other end but what? – The preservation of the rights of property. | 那法律是为了什么? 维护对财产的权利 |
[11:05] | – Against? – The mob. | 来对抗? 那些暴徒 |
[11:08] | Therefore, order is kept | 所以 秩序安稳 |
[11:12] | because we have… | 因为我们有… |
[11:13] | – A standing army? – Good manners, sir, and prudence. | 常备军? 是礼貌 先生 还有谨慎 |
[11:17] | – Do you know that word? Prudence? – Yes. | 你知道”谨慎”这个词吗 知道 |
[11:21] | Consider myself. | 就说我自己吧 |
[11:23] | I was born rich, certainly, | 当然 我生来富有 |
[11:25] | but I remain rich by virtue of exceptional conduct. | 但我现在仍富有 是因为出色的表现 |
[11:29] | I have shown restraint. | 我会约束自己 |
[11:34] | Your mother, my sister, | 你妈妈 也就是我的妹妹 |
[11:35] | became poor because she did not… | 她会变穷是因为她没管好自己 |
[11:36] | She married my father because she loved him. | 她是因为爱才嫁给我父亲的 |
[11:38] | Yes, and that’s why you have so many brothers | 对 这就是为什么 |
[11:40] | and sisters back there in… | 你有那么多兄弟姐妹生活在… |
[11:42] | Limerick. | 利墨里克郡 |
[11:47] | If you hope, I say hope… | 如果你希望 我是说希望… |
[11:50] | If you aspire to inherit my property, | 如果你有志成为我的财产继承人 |
[11:56] | you must prove yourself more worthy. | 你得证明你值得 |
[11:59] | But what do we find? We find dissipation | 但我们看到了什么? 挥霍 |
[12:02] | wild enough to glut the imaginings of a Hottentot braggadocio. | 放纵自己 尽会吹牛 |
[12:07] | Wild companions, gambling, | 交些狐朋狗友 还有赌博 |
[12:11] | running around St James’s | 在公园周围跑来跑去 |
[12:12] | like a neck-or-nothing young blood of the fancy. | 像个做白日梦的无知青年 |
[12:16] | – What kind of lawyer will that make? – Typical. | 那会让你成为什么样的律师? 典型的 |
[12:26] | Humour? | 幽默感? |
[12:29] | Well, you’re going to need that because I’m teaching you a lesson. | 很好 你会需要的 因为我要给你个教训 |
[12:36] | I’m sending you to stay with your other relations, the Lefroys. | 我打算把你送去和你的家人住 勒弗罗伊一家 |
[12:43] | – Uncle, they live in the country. – Deep in the country. | 舅舅 他们住在乡下 是很偏僻的乡下 |
[13:06] | Jane? | 简? |
[13:08] | Can you? | 帮我个忙? |
[13:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[13:15] | I think you two quite the prettiest sisters in England. | 我觉得你们俩绝对是 全英国最漂亮的姐妹 |
[13:20] | Mr Fowle will be enchanted. | 福先生会被迷死的 |
[13:23] | San Domingo is half a world away. | 圣・多明戈在世界另一头 |
[13:27] | He’ll forget me. | 他会忘了我 |
[13:29] | Impossible. Look at the memory you’re giving him tonight. | 不可能 今晚你会留给他美好的回忆 |
[13:34] | Cassie. | 凯西 |
[13:35] | His heart will stop at the very sight of you | 一看到你他的心跳就会停住 |
[13:38] | or he doesn’t deserve to live. | 不然他就不配活着了 |
[13:41] | And, yes, I’m aware of the contradiction embodied in that sentence. | 当然 我知道这句话有矛盾 |
[13:46] | Is it? | 是他吗 |
[13:51] | Jane! | 简! |
[13:53] | Henry! | 亨利! |
[13:58] | You look wonderful. | 你看上去真好 |
[14:00] | Well, hello, John. It’s very good to see you. | 你好约翰 真高兴见到你 |
[14:02] | – Nice to see you. – Oh, John! | 很高兴见到你 约翰! |
[14:07] | George! | 乔治! |
[14:10] | Leave your brother alone. | 别捉弄你兄弟了 |
[14:15] | Jane! Jane? Have you heard? | 简! 简? 你听说了么? |
[14:17] | My father’s nephew is staying with us. | 我爸爸的侄子要和我们一起住了 |
[14:19] | From London. | 从伦敦来的 |
[14:21] | – He is a… – A brilliant young lawyer. | 是个… 年轻聪明的律师 |
[14:22] | – Lucy, please. – With a reputation. | 露西 别这样 很有名 |
[14:24] | For lateness? | 迟到的名声? |
[14:28] | Hat off, George. Hat off, Father’s ready. | 把帽子摘了 乔治 把帽子摘了 你父亲要说话 |
[14:32] | – Thank you, John. – Please. | 谢谢 约翰 请 |
[14:34] | The family is always moving | 这个家族总在不断前进 |
[14:36] | in great ways and small. | 无论是大的方面还是小的方面 |
[14:38] | Firstly, the small. Henry is back from Oxford with his degree, | 先从小的说起 亨利拿到了剑桥的学位 |
[14:44] | – thank goodness. – Well done. | 谢天谢地 干得好 |
[14:46] | And our friend John, | 还有我们的朋友约翰 |
[14:47] | my new student. Then the great. | 我的新学生 再来说说大的方面 |
[14:50] | Cassandra, who is forsaking us for her brother Edward and his family at the coast | 卡珊德拉要离开我们去海边 她兄弟爱德华那里 |
[14:55] | whilst Robert voyages to the West Indies with Lord Craven’s expedition. | 同时罗伯特会随克雷文大人 远征西印度群岛 |
[14:59] | And then, together, they can embark | 然后 他们就能一起 |
[15:01] | on that most great and most serious journey of life. | 开始一段 美妙的 重要的人生旅程 |
[15:06] | Miss Austen, I understand you will be | 奥斯汀小姐 我想你很乐意 |
[15:08] | favouring us with a reading? | 为我们朗读你的祝词吧 |
[15:09] | – Do, Jane. – Do. | 去吧 简 |
[15:11] | – Oh, please, Miss Jane. – Oh, yes, Jane, do. | 去吧 简 |
[15:13] | Please, Jane. | 简 去吧 |
[15:22] | “Advice from a young lady on the engagement of her beloved sister Cassandra | “一位年轻女士给她至爱的姐姐卡珊德拉 |
[15:28] | “to a Fowle.” | 和一个叫福的 订婚建议” |
[15:34] | “His addresses were offered in a manner violent enough to be flattering. | “他谈吐随意 近乎于谄媚 |
[15:39] | “The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, as was only right, | “不拘礼节 随心所欲 这没错 |
[15:43] | “but not quite breached, as was also right. | “但从不过头 这也没错 |
[15:46] | “Nevertheless, she was…” | “不过 她… |
[15:58] | And may I introduce my young nephew Mr Thomas Lefroy? | 请允许我介绍 我年轻的侄子汤姆・勒弗罗伊? |
[16:05] | And he’s more than welcome. Join us, sir, join us. | 欢迎你 跟我们一起吧 |
[16:10] | Green velvet coat. Vastly fashionable. | 绿色的天鹅绒外衣 非常时髦 |
[16:16] | You’ll find this vastly amusing. | 你会觉得这很有趣 |
[16:21] | “His addresses were… | “他谈吐… |
[16:26] | “The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, | “不拘礼节 随心所欲 |
[16:29] | “as was only right, but not quite breached, as was also right. | “没错 但从不过头 也没错 |
[16:34] | “Nevertheless, she was not pleased. | “不过 她不会满足… |
[16:36] | “Her taste was refined, her sentiments noble, | “她那优越的品味 高尚的情操 |
[16:39] | her person lovely, her figure elegant.” | 可爱的品性和优雅的身姿” |
[16:44] | Good God, there’s writing on both sides of those pages. | 天哪 两面都写满了 |
[16:47] | Shh. Damn it, man. | 嘘 该死 |
[16:50] | “‘It was only yesterday I repelled Lord Graham and his six million, | 就在昨天 我回绝了格雷欣爵士的六百万 |
[16:53] | “‘which would have lasted me almost a twelvemonth, | 那足够我花整整一年 |
[16:56] | “‘with economies… ‘ | 省吃俭用的话… |
[17:03] | “‘greater than all the jewels in India, an adoring heart.”‘ | 比印度所有宝石更珍贵的 是一颗令人敬慕的心 |
[17:07] | God! | 天啊! |
[17:08] | “‘And pray, madam, what am I to expect in return? ‘ | 那么请祈祷 女士 该盼望得到什么样的回报呢 |
[17:11] | “‘Expect? Well, you may expect to have me pleased from time to time.”‘ | “盼望什么呢? 你得时常讨我欢心” |
[17:15] | Is this who I am? | 我是那样的吗 |
[17:17] | “And a sweet, gentle, pleading, innocent, | 还有你那甜蜜温柔 纯真善良 |
[17:22] | “delicate, sympathetic, loyal, | 柔弱而富有同情心的 忠贞无暇的 |
[17:25] | untutored, adoring female heart.” | 令人敬慕的女人的心 |
[17:34] | The end. | 说完了 |
[17:36] | – Bravo, Jane. – Well done, Jane. | – 非常好 简! – 说得好 简! |
[17:41] | Bravo. | 非常棒 |
[17:43] | Well done. | 说得好 |
[17:55] | Well, excessively charming, I thought. | 她太迷人了 |
[17:59] | Well, accomplished enough, perhaps, | 是很有才 |
[18:02] | but a metropolitan mind may be less susceptible to extended, juvenile self-regard. | 不过见过世面后就不会这么 矫揉造作了 幼稚的自我欣赏 |
[18:10] | REVEREND AUSTEN: Well, thank you. We’re both very proud. | 谢谢 我们都很骄傲 |
[18:27] | # In airy dreams | * 在快乐的梦中 |
[18:37] | #… absent love to see | * …看到那不在的爱 |
[18:54] | # Dear you, oh, to think | * 亲爱的你 哦 想念 |
[18:58] | # On thee # | * 为你 |
[19:37] | MR LEFROY: Careful there, old fellow. | 小心点 伙计 |
[19:41] | TOM: Fine piece, Mr Lefroy. | 是把好枪 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[19:44] | Handled a gun before, have you, Tom? | 以前拿过枪吗 汤姆? |
[19:45] | Tom! | 汤姆! |
[19:48] | Jesus! | 我的天! |
[19:57] | – Tom. – Uncle? | 汤姆 叔叔? |
[20:00] | Why not try a walk? | 为什么不去散散步? |
[20:03] | There’s some very fine country round about. Very fine. | 这里有的是乡间美景 很漂亮 |
[20:08] | A walk. | 散步 |
[21:01] | Miss! | 小姐! |
[21:03] | Miss! Miss! | 小姐! 小姐! |
[21:05] | Miss! Miss, I… | 小姐! 小姐 我… |
[21:10] | Miss? | 小姐? |
[21:14] | Miss? | 小姐? |
[21:15] | – Miss… – Austen. | 那个什么小姐… 是奥斯汀小姐 |
[21:18] | Mr Lefroy. | 我是勒弗罗伊先生 |
[21:21] | Yes, I know, but I am alone. | 是的 我知道 不过 我想一个人 |
[21:24] | – Except for me. – Exactly. | 加上我就不是了 完全正确 |
[21:26] | Oh, come! | 好啦! |
[21:28] | What rules of conduct apply in this rural situation? | 在乡村里就是这样的礼节吗 |
[21:31] | We have been introduced, have we not? | 我们已经介绍认识过了 不是吗 |
[21:35] | What value is there in an introduction when you cannot even remember my name? | 你甚至都不记得我的名字 那种介绍有意义吗 |
[21:40] | Indeed, can barely stay awake in my presence. | 事实是 你连在我面前 遵守礼节都做不到 |
[21:45] | Madam. | 女士 |
[21:46] | These scruples must seem very provincial to a gentleman with such elevated airs, | 这些礼节对一个您这样的高尚绅士也许太土气了 |
[21:49] | but I do not devise these rules. I am merely obliged to obey them. | 但不是我想出来的 我只是去遵守 |
[21:55] | I have been told there is much to see upon a walk | 他们说散步时有很多东西可以看 |
[21:58] | but all I’ve detected so far is a general tendency to green above and brown below. | 但我发现的尽是 头上一片绿 脚下一片土 |
[22:03] | Yes, well, others have detected more. It is celebrated. | 是的 可别人观察得更多 |
[22:06] | – There’s even a book about Selborne Wood. – Oh. | 让人高兴的是 甚至有本关于萨尔博尼树林的书 |
[22:11] | A novel, perhaps? | 是部小说? |
[22:15] | Novels? | 小说? |
[22:18] | Being poor, insipid things, read by mere women, | 那种乏味平淡 专给女人读的东西? |
[22:21] | even, God forbid, written by mere women? | 天 你不会就是在说女人写的东西? |
[22:23] | I see, we’re talking of your reading. | 我明白了 我们是在说你的祝词 |
[22:25] | As if the writing of women did not display the greatest powers of mind, | 好像女人的作品就无法表现出 思想的力量 |
[22:29] | knowledge of human nature, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour | 人性的知识 自然的幽默 |
[22:32] | and the best-chosen language imaginable? | 以及你能想到最美丽的语言? |
[22:35] | – Was I deficient in rapture? – In consciousness. | – 是我不够专心? – 不够觉悟 |
[22:39] | It was… | 其实… |
[22:44] | It was accomplished. | 其实你很有才华 |
[22:53] | It was ironic. | 这很讽刺 |
[23:00] | – And you’re sure I’ve not offended you? – Not at all. | 你知道我无心冒犯 才没有 |
[23:14] | My lords, ladies and gentlemen, the Grand Vizier’s Flight. | 女士们先生们 舞会开始 |
[23:23] | – May I have the honour? – How kind, cousin. | 能赏脸跳支舞吗 很荣幸 表弟 |
[23:33] | – Miss Austen. – Mr Wisley. | 奥斯汀小姐 韦斯利先生 |
[23:37] | May I have the pleasure of this next dance? | 能请你跳下一支舞吗 |
[23:45] | – Oh, no, we’re so late. – Take care. | 我们来得太晚了 小心 |
[23:48] | Oh, thank you, Tom. | 谢谢 汤姆 |
[23:50] | – Hurry. – Lucy. | 快 露西 |
[24:16] | I am mortified. | 我很惭愧 |
[24:19] | I practised, but it won’t stick. | 练了很多次了 可就是不行 |
[24:32] | What a lovely pair they make. | 多可爱的一对 |
[24:35] | Ah, Sister. | 妹妹 |
[24:37] | What do you make of Mr Lefroy? | 你觉得勒弗罗伊先生怎么样? |
[24:39] | We’re honoured by his presence. | 他能来就让我们深感荣幸 |
[24:40] | You think? | 你真这么想? |
[24:42] | He does, with his preening, prancing, Irish-cum-Bond-Street airs. | 是啊 看看那身打扮 昂首阔步 一副公子哥的相 |
[24:45] | Jane. | 简 |
[24:45] | Well, I call it very high indeed, refusing to dance when there are so few gentleman. | 我对此评价还是很高的 男伴这么少还拒绝跳舞 |
[24:49] | – Henry, are all your friends so disagreeable? – Jane. | 亨利 你朋友都这么无礼吗 简 |
[24:52] | Where exactly in Ireland does he come from, anyway? | 他到底是爱尔兰哪里人? |
[24:54] | Limerick, Miss Austen. | 利墨里克 奥斯汀小姐 |
[25:03] | I would regard it as a mark of extreme favour | 如果你能赏脸和我跳下一支舞 |
[25:06] | if you would stoop to honour me with this next dance. | 我将感到万分荣幸 |
[25:15] | Being the first to dance with me, madam, | 你是第一位和我跳舞的女士 |
[25:17] | I feel it only fair to inform you | 我想公平地说一句 |
[25:19] | that you carry the standard for Hampshire hospitality. | 你的好客真是汉普郡的典范 |
[25:22] | Ah, then your country reputation depends on my report. | 那么说你在这里的名声 得靠我来流传了 |
[25:25] | This, by the way, is called a country dance, | 顺便说一句 这支舞叫乡村舞 |
[25:28] | after the French, contredanse. | 源于法文contredanse(对舞) |
[25:33] | Not because it is exhibited at an uncouth rural assembly | 不只是因为得在粗俗的乡下舞会上跳 |
[25:37] | with glutinous pies, | 这儿会有粘手的馅饼 |
[25:41] | execrable Madeira | 糟糕的葡萄酒 |
[25:44] | and truly anarchic dancing. | 还可以放任自由地跳舞 |
[25:46] | You judge the company severely, madam. | 你对舞伴的要求很严格 女士 |
[25:49] | – I was describing what you’d be thinking. – Allow me to think for myself. | 我只是说出了你的想法 那就让我自己想想 |
[25:52] | Gives me leave to do the same, sir, and come to a different conclusion. | 那就让我也这么想想 会有不同的结论 |
[25:55] | Will you give so much to a woman? | 你会让一个女人这么想么? |
[25:56] | It must depend on the woman | 那得看是什么样的女人 |
[25:59] | and what she thinks of me. | 以及她对我的看法 |
[26:02] | But you are above being pleased. | 但是你…很难伺候 |
[26:08] | And I think that you, miss, what was it? | 我觉得你 什么小姐来着? |
[26:10] | – Austen. Mr? – Lefroy. | 奥斯汀 什么先生来着? 勒弗罗伊 |
[26:15] | I think that you, Miss Austen, consider yourself a cut above the company. | 我觉得你 奥斯汀小姐… 自认为高人一等 |
[26:22] | Me? | 我? |
[26:25] | You, ma’am, | 是的 女士 |
[26:28] | secretly. | 内心里 |
[26:39] | How many times did you stand up with that gentleman, Jane? | 你跟那位绅士抬了几回杠 简? |
[26:43] | – Was it twice? – Twice would have been partial. | 有两次吗 两次是偏见 |
[26:45] | – Thrice would have been absolutely… – Flagrant. | 三次就 很明显… 不能容忍了 |
[26:48] | Careful, Jane, Lucy is right. Mr Lefroy does have a reputation. | 小心点 简 露西说的对 勒弗罗伊名声在外 |
[26:52] | Presumably as the most disagreeable… | 他大概是我见过最讨人厌的… |
[26:54] | “…insolent, arrogant, impudent, | …最傲慢无礼 厚颜无耻 |
[26:59] | “insufferable, impertinent of men.” | 难以忍受 鲁莽粗俗的男人 |
[27:11] | Too many adjectives. | 形容词多了点 |
[27:26] | What is she trying to say? | 她想说什么? |
[27:28] | On your toes, gentlemen. No singles. | 准备好 先生们 别落下 |
[27:36] | Bowler’s end, bowler’s end. | 投手这边 投手这边 |
[27:41] | Again! Run for more. | 再来! 继续跑 |
[27:43] | I never feel more French than when I watch cricket. | 只有在看板球时 我才觉得自己是法国人 |
[27:48] | – Out. – Not out. | 出局 没有 |
[27:49] | – No? – No. | 没吗 没 |
[27:50] | Is he out? | 他出界了吗 |
[27:57] | I begin to suspect you’re flirting with my brother, cousin. | 我开始怀疑你在和我哥哥调情 表姐 |
[28:00] | Flirting is a woman’s trade. One must keep in practice. | 调情是女人的专利 要经常实践 |
[28:06] | You’re gone. | 你出局了 |
[28:08] | Well played, Tom. | 投得好 汤姆 |
[28:12] | We’re depending on you. | 看你的了 |
[28:16] | Oh, it’s Mr Warren’s… turn. | 轮到沃伦先生了 |
[28:19] | Best of luck! | 祝你好运! |
[28:20] | John Warren! | 约翰・沃伦! |
[28:23] | Good luck, Mr Warren. | 祝你好运 沃伦先生 |
[28:25] | John never was very good, though. | 约翰可不怎么在行 |
[28:39] | Easy! | 小菜一碟! |
[28:42] | Run, Warren, run! | 快跑 沃伦 跑! |
[28:44] | Quickly, hurry! Run! | – 快 跑! – 跑! |
[28:45] | Jolly good show! | 好球! |
[28:48] | Watch. | 看好了 |
[28:51] | You’re out. | 你出界了 |
[28:52] | You’re gone, Mr Warren. | 你出局了 沃伦先生 |
[28:54] | Prodigious, Tom, prodigious. | 太棒了 汤姆 太棒了 |
[28:59] | Thank you, Warren. On your way. | 谢谢 沃伦 走好 |
[29:01] | Same again, Tom. | 又是这样 汤姆 |
[29:05] | – Well done, Mr Warren. – Bad ball. It’s a terrible wicket. | 干得好 沃伦先生 打得不好 糟糕的一局 |
[29:09] | I hope you’re not too disappointed, Miss Austen. | 我希望你不会太失望 奥斯汀小姐 |
[29:13] | Four more to win, Wisley. | 得跑四个来回才能赢 韦斯利 |
[29:17] | Who’s next? Come on! | 下一个谁? 快! |
[29:20] | – She can’t… – Jane! | 她不行… 简! |
[29:22] | What on earth are you going to do? | 你要干什么? |
[29:24] | – Irrepressible. – she can. | 按耐不住了 她能行 |
[29:39] | Move in! | 到位! |
[29:41] | Go easy, Tom. | 放松点 汤姆 |
[29:47] | Be gentle, Lefroy! | 出手轻点 勒弗罗伊! |
[30:10] | Run, Jane, run! | 快跑 简 跑! |
[30:12] | – Move! – Run! | 跑! 快跑! |
[30:16] | Only four more to win. | 跑四个来回就赢了 |
[30:18] | Bowler’s end! Move yourself, you lout! | 投手这边 快跑 笨蛋! |
[30:24] | One more! Quickly! | 最后一个来回! 快! |
[30:26] | Go, go, go! | 快 快 快! |
[30:27] | Not out. | 没出界 |
[30:32] | Bad luck, Lefroy. | 运气差了点 勒弗罗伊 |
[30:38] | See? | 看到了吗 |
[30:43] | She was so good. | 她玩的真不错 |
[30:49] | You’ve played this game before? | 以前玩过这游戏吧 |
[30:51] | No choice, you see. She was raised by brothers. | 和三个兄弟一起长大 她别无选择 |
[30:53] | Time for a swim, I think. | 该去游泳了 |
[30:59] | Well played, Henry. | 玩的不错 亨利 |
[31:01] | I dedicate our victory to La Comtesse de Feuillide. | 这都归功于德・芙伊德伯爵夫人 |
[31:07] | – Now, there’s a decent bit of river over the hill. – Oh, yes? | 听着 山后有条不错的河 是吗 |
[31:16] | Careful! | 小心! |
[31:34] | Come on, let’s go! | 快 走! |
[31:38] | Wait! | 等等! |
[31:43] | Not this time, Lefroy. | 这次你赢不了我 勒弗罗伊 |
[31:45] | You think not? | 别做梦了 |
[32:12] | Down, boy. | 走 小家伙 |
[32:16] | – Father, have you seen Tom? – No, Lucy, I’ve not. | 爸爸 看到汤姆了吗 没有 露西 我没看到 |
[32:24] | Besotted. Natural enough at 15. | 思春少女 15岁再正常不过了 |
[32:29] | Love and sense are enemies at any age. | 爱情和理智在任何年龄都是矛盾的 |
[32:31] | – Mrs Lefroy, may I explore your library? – Of course. | 勒弗罗伊太太 能用下您的藏书室吗 当然 |
[32:37] | Lucy would marry him tomorrow, | 如果可以 露西明天就会嫁给他 |
[32:38] | and what a terrible husband he would make. | 可他会是个糟糕的丈夫 |
[32:41] | I suppose you mean his reputation. | 我想你说的是他的花名 |
[32:44] | Experience can recommend a man. | 男人经验丰富也未尝不好 |
[33:24] | – Miss Austen. – Oh, Mr Lefroy. | 奥斯汀小姐 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[33:29] | – And reading. – Yes. | 你在看书? 是的 |
[33:32] | I’ve been looking through your book of the wood. | 我在找你说的那本关于树林的书 |
[33:34] | Mr White’s Natural History. | 怀特先生的《自然史》 |
[33:37] | – Well, how do you like it? – I cannot get on. It is too disturbing. | 觉得怎么样? 我看不了 太烦人了 |
[33:41] | – Disturbing? – Mmm. | 烦人? 是的 |
[33:44] | Take this observation. | 比方说这一段 |
[33:47] | “Swifts on a fine morning in May, flying this way, that way, | 在一个五月的早上 雨燕到处飞来飞去 |
[33:52] | “sailing around at a great height perfectly happily. Then… | 它们在天空欢快地飞翔 接着… |
[33:57] | “Then one leaps onto the back of another, grasps tightly, | 接着一只飞向一只 紧紧地抓在一起 |
[34:02] | “and forgetting to fly, they both sink down and down in a great, dying fall, | 它们忘了继续飞 一起坠落 不断地坠落 |
[34:09] | “fathom after fathom, until the female utters…” | 一点一点地 直到母雨燕发出… |
[34:18] | Yes? | 继续? |
[34:23] | “…the female utters a loud, piercing cry | …直到母雨燕发出一声高亢 刺耳… |
[34:31] | “of ecstasy.” | …沉醉的叫声 |
[34:37] | Is this conduct commonplace in the natural history of Hampshire? | 这种现象在汉普郡很常见吗 |
[34:46] | Your ignorance is understandable since you lack… | 对于你的无知我可以理解 因为你缺乏… |
[34:51] | What shall we call it? | 该怎么说呢 |
[34:53] | The history? | 那种经历? |
[34:56] | Propriety commands me to ignorance. | 礼数要求我无知 |
[35:00] | Condemns you to it | 礼数使你陷入无知 |
[35:01] | and your writing to the status of female accomplishment. | 你的写作 也只能限于一个女作家的成就 |
[35:05] | If you wish to practise the art of fiction, | 如果你想在小说艺术上 |
[35:07] | to be the equal of a masculine author, | 达到和男作家一样的成就 |
[35:10] | experience is vital. | 经验非常重要 |
[35:16] | I see. | 我明白 |
[35:18] | And what qualifies you to offer this advice? | 那您又有什么资格给我提这个建议呢 |
[35:23] | I know more of the world. | 我了解的更多 |
[35:26] | A great deal more, I gather. | 我想是多得多吧 |
[35:30] | Enough to know that your horizons must be… widened | 多得足以肯定你的视野必须…放宽 |
[35:37] | by an extraordinary young man. | 一位卓越的年轻人提供的建议 |
[35:40] | By a very dangerous young man, | 是一位非常危险的男士吧 |
[35:42] | one who has, no doubt, infected the hearts of many a young… | 一个毫无疑问玷污了无数… |
[35:45] | – Young woman with the soft corruption… – Read this | 少女芳心的… 读读这个 |
[35:50] | and you will understand. | 你就会明白的 |
[35:57] | (《汤姆・琼斯》亨利・菲尔丁) | |
[35:59] | “When the philosopher heard that the fortress of virtue had already been subdued, | “当哲学家听说 少女贞操的壁垒已被攻破 |
[36:04] | “he began to give a large scope to his desires. | “他的欲望开始膨胀 |
[36:07] | “His appetite was not of that squeamish kind which cannot feed on a dainty | “他胃口并不挑剔 只要是美食 |
[36:11] | – “because another…” – “Another has tasted it.” | “哪怕有人…” “哪怕已有人尝过” |
[36:13] | He’s not tasting this dainty. | 他也不会拒绝再品尝这道美食 |
[36:15] | What, dear? | 什么 亲爱的? |
[36:17] | “…nor had her face much appearance of beauty. | “…没有过人的容貌 |
[36:20] | “But her clothes being torn from all the upper part of her body…” | “但她的衣服从上半身被撕下…” |
[36:23] | “…her breasts, which were well formed and extremely white, | “…她那发育成熟的雪白乳房 |
[36:28] | “attracted the eyes of her deliverer, and for a few moments they stood silent…” | “吸引着他的目光 有好一会儿他俩就这么站着…” |
[36:33] | “…and gazing at each other.” | “…注视着对方” |
[36:58] | I have read your book. | 我读了你推荐的书 |
[37:02] | – I have read your book and disapprove. – Of course you do. | 我看了 但我不同意 你当然不会同意 |
[37:06] | But of what? The scenes? Characters? The prose? | 但不同意什么? 场景? 人物? 还是文笔? |
[37:10] | No, all good. | 不 那都很好 |
[37:13] | – The morality? – Flawed. | 是道德准则? 有缺陷 |
[37:16] | Well, of course, it is. But why? | 没错 肯定是这个 但为什么? |
[37:19] | Vice leads to difficulty, virtue to reward. Bad characters come to bad ends. | 恶行带来苦难 美德带来回报 坏人没有好下场 |
[37:23] | Exactly. But in life, | 非常正确 但在现实生活中 |
[37:26] | bad characters often thrive. Take yourself. | 坏人却能活得很长 比如你 |
[37:30] | And a novel must show how the world truly is, | 小说必须展现世界的真实性 |
[37:34] | how characters genuinely think, how events actually occur. | 人物真实的想法 以及故事发生的原貌 |
[37:38] | A novel should somehow reveal the true source of our actions. | 一部小说必须能够揭示 我们一言一行的来源 |
[37:46] | What of my hero’s feelings? | 那主人公的情感呢 |
[37:48] | Well, it seems to me, sir, that your hero’s very vigorous feelings | 在我看来 先生 正是主人公强烈的情感 |
[37:52] | caused him and everyone connected with him a great deal of trouble. | 给他以及和他有关的所有人 带来了麻烦 |
[37:56] | Ah, well, if the book has troubled you… | 好吧 如果这本书给你带来了麻烦… |
[37:58] | – Oh, but an orphan must know trouble. – What sort of trouble? | 一个孤儿经历过麻烦 什么麻烦? |
[38:02] | All sorts of trouble. | 很多麻烦 |
[38:13] | Laverton Fair. Vastly entertaining. Monstrous good idea, Jane. | 拉弗顿集会非常好玩 来这儿是个好主意 简 |
[38:17] | Yes, Miss Austen, not exactly your usual society, I’d say. | 没错 奥斯汀小姐 你平时不会来这儿的 |
[38:20] | Show a little imagination, Mr Lefroy. | 你可真没想象力 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[38:51] | Trouble here enough. | 到此为止吧 |
[38:53] | And freedom, the freedom of men. | 你得懂得自由 人类的自由 |
[38:57] | Do not you envy it? | 你不嫉妒吗 |
[38:58] | But I have the intense pleasure of observing it so closely. | 能这么近地观察这种自由 我倒是很高兴 |
[39:07] | Now, there’s a fool, to go to it with a professional. | 看 有个傻瓜在挑战职业高手 |
[39:11] | – You know about this, of course. – Of course. | 你很了解这个 是吗 当然 |
[39:14] | Yes, a vastly fashionable pastime in London. | 是啊 在伦敦是很流行的娱乐活动 |
[39:25] | Beating a man to a pulp. What are you doing? | 快把人打成肉酱了 你要干什么? |
[39:30] | Mr Lefroy, stop! | 勒弗罗伊先生 别去! |
[39:33] | Make way! | 让一让! |
[39:38] | – Stop! – Let us see how you fare against me, sir. | 不要! 看看你怎么对付我 先生 |
[39:43] | Coming through. | 借过 |
[39:48] | Five shillings on the gent. Who will take it? | 五先令赌那位绅士赢 谁下赌注? |
[39:50] | You, sir? That’s the ticket. | 你吗 先生? 下注吧 |
[39:54] | Have that. | 吃我一拳 |
[39:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:58] | Go on, hit him! | 加油 揍他! |
[40:03] | Come on, Lefroy, hit him, man! | 加油 勒弗罗伊 揍他! |
[40:06] | Tom, you must stop. | 汤姆 你必须住手 |
[40:12] | Come on, Lefroy! | 加油 勒弗罗伊! |
[40:17] | Up, sir. | 起来 先生! |
[40:21] | Tom! | 汤姆! |
[40:25] | Lucy. | 露西 |
[40:31] | – That’s twice he’s done that to me. – You spend money like water. | 这得花我双倍的钱 你可真是挥金如土 |
[40:36] | I’m afraid it’s damn low water with me. | 恐怕我的土不够多了 |
[40:39] | – I’m afraid I’m short, sir. – Take it. | 很抱歉我没钱了 先生 拿去吧 |
[40:43] | How embarrassing. | 真够难堪的 |
[40:48] | Mr Lefroy? Mr Lefroy? Mr Lefroy? | 勒弗罗伊先生? 勒弗罗伊先生? 勒弗罗伊先生? |
[40:57] | Was I deficient in propriety? | 我很没教养是吗 |
[41:01] | Why did you do that? | 为什么这么做? |
[41:04] | Couldn’t waste all those expensive boxing lessons. | 不能白白浪费花在拳击课上的钱 |
[41:10] | Forgive me if I suspect in you a sense of justice. | 我曾质疑过你的正义感 很抱歉 |
[41:17] | I am a lawyer. Justice plays no part in the law. | 我是个律师 正义可不在法律之中 |
[41:23] | Is that what you believe? | 这就是你所相信的? |
[41:27] | I believe it. I must. | 我相信 必须相信 |
[41:32] | I beg your leave. | 我先告辞 |
[41:42] | – Her heart is stirred. – It’s a summer squall. | 她动心了 一场夏天的暴风雨 |
[41:46] | Mr Lefroy will soon be gone. | 勒弗罗伊先生很快就要走 |
[41:49] | And Mr Wisley will still be waiting, I hope. | 希望韦斯利先生还会继续等 |
[41:53] | – The man’s a booby. – Oh, he will grow out of that. | 那人是个傻子 他会有所改变的 |
[41:56] | And she could fix him with very little trouble. | 这对简来说很容易 |
[41:59] | You could persuade her. | 你能说服她 |
[42:02] | To sacrifice her happiness? | 牺牲她的幸福? |
[42:04] | Jane should have not the man who offers the best price, but the man she wants. | 不是谁出的价高就嫁给谁 简有权选择喜欢的人 |
[42:09] | Oh, Mr Austen. | 奥斯汀先生! |
[42:11] | Must we have this conversation day in and day out? | 我们就天天这么吵吗 |
[42:15] | We’ll end up in the gutter if we carry on like this. | 再这么下去我们非得穷死 |
[42:35] | Jenny! Mr Austen! | 珍妮! 奥斯汀先生! |
[42:40] | Where are you? | 你在哪儿? |
[43:05] | So kind of you to return the call. | 您能回访真是太客气了 |
[43:12] | – Will you take a dish of tea, ma’am? – Green tea? | 喝杯茶么 夫人? 绿茶吗 |
[43:16] | – Brown, Your Ladyship. – Then no. | 红茶 尊贵的夫人 那算了 |
[43:25] | Where is your youngest daughter? | 你的小女儿呢 |
[43:28] | She’s visiting the poor, ma’am. | 她去探访穷人了 夫人 |
[43:42] | Jane? Jane! | 简? 简! |
[43:48] | At last. Lady Gresham and Mr Wisley have come to call. | 终于回来了 格雷欣夫人和韦斯利先生来拜访了 |
[43:53] | Where have you been? | 你去哪儿了? |
[43:56] | Ma’am. Sir. | 夫人 先生 |
[43:59] | Well, perhaps… Perhaps the young people would like to take a walk? | 也许… 你们年轻人想去散散步? |
[44:04] | I see there’s a pretty little wilderness at the side of the house. | 我看到屋子那头风景不错 |
[44:09] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[44:15] | Jane? | 简? |
[44:19] | – What is she doing? – Writing. | 她在干什么? 写作 |
[44:23] | Can anything be done about it? | 你们不管吗 |
[44:31] | Miss Austen, you may know | 奥斯汀小姐 你知道 |
[44:34] | that I have known you | 自从到这里 |
[44:37] | for some considerable time during my visits to Steventon. | 认识你已经有段时间了 |
[44:41] | The garden is so affecting in this season. | 这个时节园子真是风景宜人啊 |
[44:46] | Indeed. | 是的 |
[44:48] | – The impression you have given me has always… – The flowers particularly. | 你给我的印象一直是… 尤其是花朵 |
[44:53] | What I’m trying to say is that I… | 我想说的是我… |
[44:57] | I have a respectable property of 2,000 a year | 我一年能赚2000英镑 |
[44:59] | in addition to even greater expectations as Lady Gresham’s heir, | 还不包括作为格雷欣夫人继承人的所得 |
[45:02] | – to which it may be indelicate to refer. – Oh, indelicate, yes. | 虽然提到这个很冒昧 是的 很冒昧 |
[45:05] | It’s yours. If we marry, all of it, yours. | 都是你的 如果你嫁给我 这些全部是你的 |
[45:13] | Mr Wisley… | 韦斯利先生… |
[45:19] | Your offer is most sincere, I can see, and gentlemanlike, | 你的请求很真诚 也很有绅士风度 |
[45:23] | and it honours me, truly. | 我深感荣幸 真的 |
[45:27] | But for all you are, and all you offer, I… | 但对于你的请求 我… |
[45:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[45:45] | Sometimes affection is a shy flower that takes time to blossom. | 有时候爱情像朵含羞的花 需要时间去绽放 |
[45:56] | Lying to tradesmen, mending, scratching, scraping. | 拒绝了一个有钱人 整天缝缝补补 省来省去 |
[46:00] | Endlessly, endlessly making do! | 没完没了 无休止的家务活! |
[46:04] | I understand that our circumstances are difficult, ma’am. | 我知道我们的处境很困难 夫人 |
[46:06] | – There is no money for you. – Surely something could be done. | 我们没钱给你 肯定会有办法的 |
[46:10] | What we can put by must go to your brothers. | 我们的积蓄只会给你的哥哥们 |
[46:13] | You will have nothing, unless you marry. | 你除了嫁人什么都得不到 |
[46:15] | Well, then, I will have nothing. | 好吧 就算我什么都得不到 |
[46:16] | For I will not marry without affection, like my mother! | 我不想 像我妈妈一样嫁给一个不爱的人 |
[46:19] | And now I have to dig my own damn potatoes! | 现在我得挖这该死的土豆了! |
[46:31] | Would you rather be a poor old maid? | 你真的想做一个老处女吗 |
[46:33] | Ridiculous, despised, the butt of jokes? | 遭人嘲讽 被人看不起? |
[46:37] | The legitimate sport of any village lout with a stone and an impudent tongue? | 成为别人茶余饭后的笑料吗 |
[46:47] | Affection is desirable. | 爱情令人向往 |
[46:52] | Money is absolutely indispensable. | 可金钱 是必不可少的 |
[47:03] | I could live by my… | 我可以养活自己 靠我的… |
[47:08] | Your what? | 你的什么? |
[47:11] | – I could live by my… – Pen? | 靠我的… 笔? |
[47:14] | Let’s knock that notion on the head once and for all. | 你还是快点打消这个念头吧 |
[47:17] | What’s this? | 怎么了? |
[47:19] | Trouble amongst my women? | 我的女士们吵架了吗 |
[47:23] | Come, | 来 |
[47:25] | take hands and there’s an end. | 握个手 该结束了 |
[47:27] | – Where are you going? Miss! – To feed the pigs, ma’am. | 你要去哪儿? 小姐! 喂猪 夫人 |
[47:47] | He could give you a splendid home. | 他可以给你一个宽裕的家 |
[47:51] | – A comfortable life. – Father. | 舒适的生活 父亲 |
[47:55] | Consider. | 考虑一下 |
[47:57] | This is likely to be your best offer. | 这可能是你最好的机遇 |
[48:00] | Wisley? | 韦斯利? |
[48:03] | It is true, so far he has not impressed… | 这是事实 虽然他还没给你留下… |
[48:05] | – A booby. – He should grow out of that. | 一个呆子 他会改变的 |
[48:21] | Nothing destroys spirit | 没什么能毁灭你的灵魂 |
[48:26] | like poverty. | 包括贫穷 |
[48:38] | I saw Queen Marie Antoinette wear something the same at a ball once. | 以前在一次舞会上 看到皇后也是这么穿的 |
[48:43] | Am I making a show? I am, I know. | 我在炫耀吗 是的 我知道 |
[48:50] | What trouble we take to make them | 当我们喜欢他们时 |
[48:52] | like us when we like them. | 要让他们喜欢我们是多么麻烦 |
[48:56] | Henry? | 你是说亨利? |
[49:00] | – Eliza, my brother is much younger than you. – And poorer. | 伊丽莎 我哥哥比你小很多 也更穷 |
[49:07] | He knows that I care for him sincerely. | 他知道我关心他是真心诚意的 |
[49:11] | I know that he is handsome… | 他很英俊… |
[49:12] | And the handsome young men must have something to live on as well as the plain. | 英俊的男人也得靠钱过活啊 |
[49:15] | You encourage him to take you for money? | 你是在鼓励他为了钱和你在一起? |
[49:18] | – Men do. – That does not make it honourable. | 男人都这样 这并不是什么引以为荣的事 |
[49:20] | Well, I’m a sensible woman. | 我是个理智的女人 |
[49:23] | I thank God I am not, by your description. | 感谢老天我不是 照你的说法 |
[49:27] | If you were, you might have ascertained | 如果你是的话 就该明白 |
[49:29] | that your Irish friend has no money, not a penny | 你那爱尔兰朋友身无分文 |
[49:31] | and could not be expected to marry without it. | 也没法结婚 |
[49:34] | Consider that at the ball tonight. | 晚上舞会时好好想想 |
[49:38] | In any event, he’ll be gone tomorrow | 不管怎样 他明天就要回去了 |
[49:39] | back to Bond Street where he can do no more harm. | 也就不会再伤谁的心了 |
[51:31] | Good evening, Miss Austen. | 晚上好 奥斯汀小姐 |
[51:35] | Yes, yes. | 是的 是的 |
[54:41] | Miss Jane Austen. | 这是简・奥斯汀小姐 |
[54:44] | Pleasure. | 幸会 |
[54:46] | We’re very honoured to be here at your aunt’s ball. | 能参加你阿姨的舞会我们深感荣幸 |
[54:49] | You dance with passion. | 你跳舞富有激情 |
[54:53] | No sensible woman would demonstrate passion | 理智的女人不会表现激情 |
[54:55] | if the purpose were to attract a husband. | 除非是为了吸引未来的丈夫 |
[55:01] | As opposed to a lover? | 而拒绝一个情人? |
[55:08] | Rest easy, Mr Lefroy. | 放松点 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[55:10] | – I have no expectation on either account. – I did not mean to offend or hurt… | 我从没那么想过 我无意冒犯… |
[55:12] | Oh, no, no, of course not. Excuse me, I’m just over warm. | 不 不 当然没有 我失陪一下 |
[55:18] | Pardon me. | 失陪 |
[55:30] | – Ah, Miss Austen. – Excuse me. | 奥斯汀小姐 失陪 |
[56:06] | This is unbearable. My father is pressing for an early ordination, | 实在无法忍受 我父亲急于要我尽早做神职 |
[56:10] | while my own inclination is to the scarlet of a captaincy in His Majesty’s regulars. | 可我个人的意愿是当上 女王军队的上尉 |
[56:16] | But I do not have the money to purchase one. | 可我没钱买官 |
[56:21] | I do. | 我有 |
[56:24] | Well, that, of course is impossible. | 那怎么可以 |
[56:26] | Oh, Henry, do not disguise yourself, not to me. | 亨利 别在我面前掩饰自己 不该是我 |
[56:33] | The scarlet will suit you very well. | 上尉制服很适合你 |
[56:39] | Miss Austen? There you are. | 奥斯汀小姐? 你在这儿 |
[56:52] | Miss Austen, I cannot believe I am obliged to have this conversation. | 奥斯汀小姐 真不敢相信 我会这么找你谈话 |
[56:58] | Your Ladyship? | 夫人? |
[57:00] | Mr Wisley’s mother, my own dear sister, died young. | 韦斯利的母亲 也就是我的妹妹死的早 |
[57:05] | I have no children of my own. | 我本人没有孩子 |
[57:08] | I hope you never come to understand the pain of that condition. | 我希望你不会切身体会那种痛苦 |
[57:14] | Let us simply say my nephew’s wishes are close to my heart, | 简单地说吧 我侄子的心愿 是我最关心的 |
[57:21] | however extraordinary they may be. | 不管什么愿望 |
[57:28] | your health seems robust. | 你身体不错 |
[57:32] | You have the usual accomplishments. | 又有些才华 |
[57:35] | Your person is agreeable. | 人也还行 |
[57:40] | But when a young woman such as yourself | 但是 像你这样的年轻女子 |
[57:44] | receives the addresses from a gentleman such as my nephew, | 有幸收到我侄子这种绅士的求婚 |
[57:48] | it is her duty to accept at once. | 就有义务马上接受 |
[57:52] | But what do we find? | 但我们得到了什么? |
[57:55] | – Independent thought? – Exactly. | 我独立的见解? 正是 |
[57:58] | My nephew, Miss Austen, condescends far indeed | 我的侄子 奥斯汀小姐 |
[58:01] | in offering to the daughter of an obscure and impecunious clergyman. | 卑躬屈膝向一个卑微贫穷的 牧师的女儿求婚 |
[58:08] | Impecunious? Your Ladyship is mistaken. | 贫穷? 夫人你一定搞错了 |
[58:13] | I am never mistaken. | 我从来不会错 |
[58:16] | Your father is in grave financial difficulties. | 你父亲正陷于严重的经济困难中 |
[58:21] | But all is not lost. | 但还不至于家徒四壁 |
[58:24] | He has a daughter upon whom fortune has smiled. | 他还有个女儿 万贯家财在向她招手 |
[58:43] | Mr Wisley is a good opportunity for Jane. | 对简来说 韦斯利先生是个好机会 |
[58:47] | She should accept him at once. | 她应该立即接受他 |
[58:51] | Do not you think? | 你们不这么认为吗 |
[58:55] | – Lucy, let us take some refreshments. – What? Mother. | 露西 我们去吃点什么 怎么了? 妈妈 |
[59:23] | I have learned of Mr Wisley’s marriage proposal. | 我听说韦斯利先生向你求婚了 |
[59:28] | My congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[59:30] | Is there an alternative | 对于一个受过良好教育而又没多少钱的 |
[59:32] | for a well-educated young woman of small fortune? | 女孩来说还有选择的余地吗 |
[59:37] | How can you have him? | 你怎么能接受他? |
[59:39] | Even with his thousands and his houses, | 就算他有千万家产 |
[59:41] | how can you, of all people, dispose of yourself without affection? | 你怎么能像很多人那样 和一个不爱的人结婚? |
[59:49] | How can I dispose of myself with it? | 爱了又能怎么样? |
[59:55] | You are leaving tomorrow. | 你明天就要走了 |
[1:00:32] | – Did I do that well? – Very, very well. | 我做得好吗 好 很好 |
[1:00:36] | I wanted, just once, to do it well. | 我想做好 就算一次 |
[1:00:47] | I have no money, no property, | 我没有钱 没有房 |
[1:00:50] | I am entirely dependent upon that bizarre old lunatic, my uncle. | 就靠我那个古怪的疯子舅舅 |
[1:00:54] | I cannot yet offer marriage. But you must know what I feel. | 我没资格向你求婚 但我要你知道我的感受 |
[1:00:59] | Jane, I’m yours. | 简 我是你的 |
[1:01:02] | Gah, I’m yours. I’m yours, heart and soul. | 天呢 我是你的 是你的 全心全意 |
[1:01:08] | Much good that is. | 这还不够 |
[1:01:11] | Let me decide that. | 让我来决定 |
[1:01:19] | What will we do? | 我们怎么办? |
[1:01:23] | What we must. | 做我们必须做的 |
[1:01:32] | “My dearest Cassandra, my heart has wings. | “我最亲爱的卡珊德拉 我心潮澎湃… |
[1:01:36] | “Doubts and deliberations are ended. | “我已不再疑惑 |
[1:01:38] | “Soon I shall escape the attentions of that great lady | “很快我将逃离那位伟大夫人 |
[1:01:42] | and her scintillating nephew. | 和他圣人侄子的魔爪 |
[1:01:44] | “Eliza, Henry and I will join you at the coast, | “伊丽莎 亨利和我会来你那里 |
[1:01:47] | “but we are obliged to break our journey in London. | “不过中途我们得在伦敦停留 |
[1:01:50] | “Tom has cleverly secured an invitation to stay with his uncle, the judge. | “汤姆已想办法让我们可以和他的法官舅舅相见 |
[1:01:53] | “Let us hope we can convince him of my eligibility. | “希望他会同意我们俩的事 |
[1:01:56] | “Please destroy this disgraceful letter | “我知道你一定很惊讶 |
[1:01:58] | “the moment you have recovered from your astonishment. | “但你要为我保守秘密 |
[1:02:01] | “Yours affectionately, and in haste, Jane.” | “你挚爱的匆忙的简” |
[1:02:08] | Tom! Our guests have arrived. | 汤姆! 客人们到了 |
[1:02:19] | Decorum. | 注意礼貌 |
[1:02:21] | Countess. | 伯爵夫人 |
[1:02:23] | Sir. | 先生 |
[1:02:24] | – Welcome… – Madame le Comtesse. | 欢迎… 勒・冈德斯伯爵夫人 |
[1:02:26] | Madame le Comtesse. Seldom, too seldom, | 勒・冈德斯伯爵夫人 像您这样的贵客 |
[1:02:29] | my house receives the presence of nobility. | 光临寒舍真是太荣幸了 |
[1:02:32] | And, of course, its friends. Please. | 当然还有您的朋友 这边请 |
[1:02:36] | Your stay is short. There’s not a moment to lose. | 您时间有限 一刻都不能浪费 |
[1:02:39] | My nephew has devised a plan of metropolitan amusement. | 我侄子已经给你们想好了 一系列的娱乐活动 |
[1:02:45] | Pleasure is, as you would say, Madame, his forte. | 这个 您一定会说 是他的拿手好戏 |
[1:02:49] | Ah, is it? | 是吗 |
[1:02:53] | Which battle was it, Tom? | 那是哪场战争 汤姆? |
[1:02:55] | Villers-en-Cauchies. | 维勒斯-考其斯战役 |
[1:02:57] | Very good. Thousands slain. Served those Frenchies out. | 很好 上万人被杀 好好招待了那些法国人 |
[1:03:01] | Oh. Saving your presence, ma’am. | 请原谅我没注意到您 夫人 |
[1:03:06] | Be not afraid of abusing the Jacobins on my account, Judge. | 在我面前不必顾虑 教训那些雅各宾党人 法官 |
[1:03:09] | They guillotined my husband. | 他们把我丈夫送上了断头台 |
[1:03:10] | Oh, savages. Beasts. | 野蛮 禽兽不如 |
[1:03:12] | – And his property? – Confiscated. | 他的财产呢 没收了 |
[1:03:15] | A disaster. | 真不幸 |
[1:03:17] | Of course, by then, much of my wealth | 还好 那时候我的大部分财富 |
[1:03:19] | was portable, so… | 都是可以随身带的 所以… |
[1:03:22] | Yes, portable property is happiness in a pocketbook. | 是啊 就像快乐可以 装在笔记本里便于携带 |
[1:03:28] | Do I detect you in irony? | 我是不是感觉到一丝讽刺了? |
[1:03:34] | It is my considered opinion that irony is insult with a smiling face. | 我个人的看法是 讽刺即带着笑脸侮辱 |
[1:03:40] | Indeed. | 确实如此 |
[1:03:43] | No. | 不 |
[1:03:46] | No? | 不? |
[1:03:49] | No, irony is the bringing together of contradictory truths | 不是的 讽刺是把 相互矛盾的事实放到一起 |
[1:03:53] | to make out of the contradiction a new truth with a laugh or a smile, | 创造出一个新的事实 因而引人发笑 |
[1:03:57] | and I confess that a truth must come with one or the other, | 当然我承认事实总是非此即彼 |
[1:04:01] | or I account it as false and a denial of the very nature of humanity itself. | 不然就是对人性的否认 |
[1:04:13] | My cousin is a writer. | 我表妹是个作家 |
[1:04:17] | – Of what? – Jane? | 写什么的? 简? |
[1:04:23] | Novels. | 小说 |
[1:04:26] | A young woman of family? | 一个出身门第的女子也写小说? |
[1:04:30] | Yes, uncle, and tomorrow we go | 是的 舅舅 明天得去拜访 |
[1:04:32] | and visit another, Mrs Radcliffe. | 另一位女作家 拉德克利弗夫人 |
[1:04:35] | She keeps herself to herself, almost a recluse, | 她本人生活很低调 像个隐居者 |
[1:04:37] | but I know her husband through the law. | 不过我和她丈夫有工作上的来往 |
[1:04:39] | – Who? – The authoress, Mrs Radcliffe. | 谁? 女作家拉德克利弗夫人 |
[1:04:43] | – As writing is her profession. – Her what? | 写作是她的职业 什么? |
[1:04:45] | £500, uncle, for the last novel, | 她的上一部小说赚了500英镑 舅舅 |
[1:04:47] | The Mysteries of Udolpho. | 就是《尤多福的奥秘》 |
[1:04:48] | – And £800, I believe, for her next. – The Italian. | 我估计下一部能赚800英镑 《意大利人》 |
[1:04:51] | Above £1,000? | 都超过1000英镑了? |
[1:04:55] | The times, the times. | 时代变了 时代变了 |
[1:05:12] | You live so quietly. | 您的生活很平静 |
[1:05:14] | And yet your novels are filled with romance, danger, terror. | 但您的小说充满浪漫 危险和恐惧 |
[1:05:21] | Everything my life is not. | 这与我的生活截然不同 |
[1:05:25] | Apparently. | 很明显 |
[1:05:27] | Of what do you wish to write? | 你想写什么? |
[1:05:31] | Of the heart. | 人的内心 |
[1:05:34] | Do you know it? | 你了解吗 |
[1:05:36] | Not all of it. | 不全懂 |
[1:05:39] | In time, you will. | 总会懂的 |
[1:05:41] | But even if that fails, that’s what the imagination is for. | 即使不会也可以去想象 |
[1:05:50] | Your imagination has brought you independence. | 您的想像力使您能独立 |
[1:05:55] | At a cost to myself and to my husband. | 我和我的丈夫为此付出了代价 |
[1:06:00] | Poor William. | 可怜的威廉 |
[1:06:02] | To have a wife who has a mind is considered not quite proper. | 有了个思想不太正常的妻子 |
[1:06:05] | To have a wife with a literary reputation nothing short of scandalous. | 一个在文学上有名声的妻子 近乎于丢脸 |
[1:06:14] | But it must be possible? | 但一定有可能… |
[1:06:17] | – To live as both wife and author? – Oh. | 同时做一个妻子和作家? |
[1:06:20] | I think so. | 我想是的 |
[1:06:23] | Though never easy. | 但那可不容易 |
[1:07:02] | Could I really have this? | 我真的能够得到吗 |
[1:07:04] | What, precisely? | 得到什么? |
[1:07:07] | You. | 你 |
[1:07:09] | Me, how? | 我 怎么样? |
[1:07:12] | – This life with you. – Yes. | 和你相伴一生 是的 |
[1:07:16] | Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊 |
[1:07:17] | – Hush. The judge. – The man’s like a rampant dog. | 小声点 我舅舅 这家伙像条受惊的狗 |
[1:07:23] | He will be generous. I’m sure of it. | 他会答应的 我确信 |
[1:07:27] | – You’ll speak with him? – Tomorrow, I promise. | 你会跟他说吗 就明天 我答应你 |
[1:07:29] | I really must say good night. | 得说晚安了 |
[1:07:32] | – Good night. – Good night. | 晚安 晚安 |
[1:07:36] | – Miss Austen? – Yes? | 奥斯汀小姐? 什么? |
[1:07:40] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:07:47] | You know, I think my mother is right. A husband, and the sooner, the better. | 看来我妈是对的 她需要丈夫 越快越好 |
[1:08:35] | Five girls of little fortune. | 五个家境普通的女孩 |
[1:08:47] | “…sensibly and as warmly as a man violently in love can be supposed to do. | “…敏感 和男人一样陷入热恋 |
[1:08:55] | “Mr Wickham was the happy man towards | “韦翰先生是当天最得意的男子 |
[1:08:57] | whom almost every female eye was turned. | 差不多每个女人的眼睛都朝他看 |
[1:09:05] | “…partial, prejudiced, absurd. | “…袒护 偏见 不近情理 |
[1:09:09] | “Watch for the first appearance of Pemberley Woods. | “彭伯里的树林一出现在眼前 |
[1:09:15] | “The happiness which this reply produced… | “这个回答给他的快乐… |
[1:09:17] | “It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed.” | “不会的 我的感情不会被压抑” |
[1:10:10] | – Good morning, sir. – Good morning? | 早上好 先生 早上好? |
[1:10:17] | Has the world turned topsy? Sir? | 太阳从西边出来了? 先生? |
[1:10:22] | I trust the countess is enjoying her visit? | 我相信伯爵夫人正玩得很开心 |
[1:10:25] | – I gather she is, sir. I… – Fine woman, very fine woman. | 我想是的 我… 有修养的女士 很有修养 |
[1:10:31] | Indeed. | 确实如此 |
[1:10:32] | – I’d hoped to discuss a certain matter. – Your allowance is beyond negotiation. | 我想和您谈件事 想加津贴免谈 |
[1:10:43] | Now that you have had the opportunity to become acquainted with Miss Austen yourself, | 您已经见过了奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:10:48] | I am sure you will find, as I do, that she is a remarkable young woman. | 我肯定您和我一样 觉得她是一个非凡的女孩 |
[1:10:55] | – This is an outrage! – Lf you will allow me to speak, sir. | 太令人愤怒了! 如果您能听我说完 先生 |
[1:10:58] | There is no need. This letter makes it absolutely clear. | 没有必要 这封信说的很清楚了 |
[1:11:01] | Letter? | 信? |
[1:11:02] | Now I know what you were at down in Hampshire. | 我终于知道 你在汉普郡都干了些什么 |
[1:11:06] | – It is from Steventon. – Is it true | 从史蒂文顿来的信? |
[1:11:08] | that you have practiced upon me with this chit? | 你还拿一个女孩来骗我? |
[1:11:10] | I wished you to know the young lady. | 我希望你能了解一下这个女孩 |
[1:11:12] | I wished to introduce her to your affections discreetly. | 我想慢慢地向您介绍她 |
[1:11:14] | Aye! Blind me with the rich widow | 很好! 先拿一个有钱的寡妇来忽悠我 |
[1:11:17] | and then insinuate that penniless little husband-hunter! | 然后就是这么一个到处寻找有钱人的拜金女 |
[1:11:21] | – Moderation, sir, I beg you! – That ironical little authoress. | 请注意您的言辞 先生! 一个可笑的女作家 |
[1:11:24] | I wished you to know her for yourself. | 我希望你能亲自了解她 |
[1:11:27] | I was certain her merit would speak for her. | 我肯定你会对她有所改观的 |
[1:11:30] | Consider, sir, my happiness is in your hands. | 考虑一下 先生 我的幸福掌握在您的手中 |
[1:11:33] | Happiness? | 幸福? |
[1:11:37] | Damn it, nephew, | 算了吧 侄子 |
[1:11:38] | I had rather you were a whore-mongering blackguard with a chance of reform | 我宁愿你整天和妓女鬼混 至少也还有的救 |
[1:11:42] | than a love-sick whelp sunk in a bad marriage. | 总比因为婚姻失败而 愁苦不堪强得多 |
[1:12:01] | My uncle has refused to give his consent. | 我舅舅没有同意 |
[1:12:04] | – The letter has done its work. – Who sent it? | 因为一封信的缘故 谁送的? |
[1:12:10] | Lady Gresham? | 是格雷欣夫人? |
[1:12:13] | Or her nephew. | 或者她侄子 |
[1:12:23] | They think that they can do what they like with us, but I will not accept this. | 他们觉得可以为所欲为 我不会接受的 |
[1:12:27] | We have no choice. | 我们别无选择 |
[1:12:30] | Of course we do. | 我们当然有 |
[1:12:43] | I depend entirely upon… | 我完全得靠… |
[1:12:52] | Upon your uncle. | 靠你舅舅 |
[1:12:55] | Mmm. | 是的 |
[1:12:58] | And I depend on you. | 而我要依靠你 |
[1:13:06] | So what will you do? | 你会怎么做? |
[1:13:11] | What I must. | 做我必须做的事 |
[1:13:13] | I have a duty to my family, Jane. I must think of them as well as… | 我要对家人负责 简 我必须考虑他们的感受… |
[1:13:17] | Tom… | 汤姆 |
[1:13:22] | Is that… Is that all you have to say to me? | 这… 这就是你要对我说的? |
[1:13:41] | Goodbye, Mr Lefroy. | 再见 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:14:35] | The sentence of this court is that you be taken to the place whence you came | 本庭宣判 你将被带回你来的地方 |
[1:14:39] | and thence to a place of execution, | 送到行刑地 |
[1:14:43] | and that you be there hanged by the neck until you are dead. | 执行绞刑 |
[1:14:48] | May the Lord have mercy on your soul. | 愿上帝宽恕你 |
[1:15:00] | Next. | 下一个 |
[1:15:13] | He has behaved so ill to you, Jane. | 他居然这么对你 简 |
[1:15:21] | Perhaps soon we can return home to Steventon. | 也许我们可以回史蒂文顿了 |
[1:15:26] | Is there any news of Robert? | 有罗伯特的消息吗 |
[1:15:35] | He has arrived in San Domingo at last. | 他总算到了圣・多明戈 |
[1:15:37] | Good. | 很好 |
[1:15:40] | Good. | 很好 |
[1:16:05] | Glass of wine with you, sir? | 不喝一杯吗 先生? |
[1:16:09] | Yes. | 好吧 |
[1:16:11] | Yes, a toast from one member of the profession to another. | 为干这行的每一个人干杯 |
[1:17:26] | I’m sorry to have been so disobliging in the past. | 以前顶撞过您我很抱歉 |
[1:17:35] | Mr Wisley? | 那么韦斯利先生呢 |
[1:17:42] | So, the infamous Mrs Radcliffe. | 那个臭名昭著的拉德克利夫夫人 |
[1:17:46] | Was she really as gothic as her novels? | 像她的小说那么哥特式吗 (Gothic:指阴暗 恐怖) |
[1:17:52] | Not in externals, | 外表上看不出来 |
[1:17:54] | but her inner landscape is quite picturesque, I suspect. | 但她的内心生动活泼 |
[1:17:57] | True of us all. | 我们都是这样 |
[1:18:55] | There’s a message for Reverend Austen. | 有奥斯汀牧师的消息 |
[1:19:02] | – Message for Reverend Austen. – Thank you. | 奥斯汀牧师的消息 谢谢 |
[1:19:30] | Uncle? | 叔叔? |
[1:19:47] | What is it? | 怎么了? |
[1:20:47] | It seemed he died very soon after landing in San Domingo. | 他到了圣・多明戈不久后就病逝了 |
[1:20:51] | My God, he was hardly there. | 我的天 他已经不在了 |
[1:20:54] | What was the disease? | 什么病? |
[1:20:57] | Yellow fever. Lord Craven, he wrote. | 黄热病 克雷文大人在信里说 |
[1:21:01] | He said that if he had known he was engaged to be married, | 如果知道他快结婚了 |
[1:21:04] | he would never have taken him. | 是绝不会带他去的 |
[1:21:13] | Jane, there’s something else. | 简 还有件事 |
[1:21:17] | Mr Lefroy, Tom. | 勒弗罗伊先生 汤姆 |
[1:21:22] | What? | 怎么了? |
[1:21:23] | I would keep this from you if I could. | 如果可以我宁愿不告诉你 |
[1:21:27] | He’s here visiting Mrs Lefroy and I… | 他正在拜访勒弗罗伊太太… |
[1:21:29] | He is engaged. | 他订婚了 |
[1:21:41] | So soon? | 这么快? |
[1:22:15] | A letter? | 写信? |
[1:22:18] | No. | 不 |
[1:22:20] | It’s something I began in London. | 在伦敦时开始写的 |
[1:22:26] | It is the tale of a young woman. | 关于年轻女子的故事 |
[1:22:30] | Two young women. | 有两个女孩 |
[1:22:34] | Better than their circumstances. | 她们的境况比我们好多了 |
[1:22:36] | So many are. | 很多人比我们好 |
[1:22:38] | And two young gentlemen who receive | 和两个同样 |
[1:22:41] | much better than their deserts as so very many do. | 比别的很多人优越的公子哥 |
[1:22:52] | How does the story begin? | 故事开头怎么样? |
[1:22:54] | – Badly. – And then? | 很糟 然后呢 |
[1:22:55] | It gets worse. | 更糟了 |
[1:22:59] | With, I hope, some humour. | 想带点幽默 |
[1:23:06] | How does it end? | 那结局怎么样? |
[1:23:14] | They both make triumphant, happy endings. | 她们都得到了幸福 |
[1:23:18] | Brilliant marriages? | 幸福的婚姻? |
[1:23:21] | Incandescent marriages | 非常幸福 |
[1:23:25] | to very rich men. | 和很有钱的男人 |
[1:23:39] | You asked me a question. | 你问我的问题 |
[1:23:43] | I am ready to give you an answer. But there is one matter to be settled. | 我已经想好回答你了 但还有一件事要解决 |
[1:23:51] | I cannot make you out, Mr Wisley. | 韦斯利先生 我真的不明白你 |
[1:23:55] | At times, you are | 有时候 |
[1:23:58] | the most gentlemanlike man I know and yet you would… | 你是我见过 最具绅士风度的男士 但是… |
[1:24:01] | “Yet”. What a sad word. | “但是” 多么伤感的一个词 |
[1:24:05] | And yet, you write yourself most tellingly to great effect. | 但是 你可以把一个故事编得生动 |
[1:24:11] | – I’m speaking, of course, of your letter. – What letter? | 我当然是在说你的信 什么信? |
[1:24:14] | Was your aunt the correspondent on your behalf? | 或者是你阿姨代你写的? |
[1:24:19] | What matter? | 算了 |
[1:24:21] | One way or another, passion makes fools of us all. | 不管怎样 我们都是被爱情冲昏了头 |
[1:24:24] | I hope, in time, passion may regain your better opinion. | 希望有一天你对我的评价会有改观 |
[1:24:26] | The emotion is absurd. | 感情是荒谬的 |
[1:24:29] | When you consider the sex to whom it is often directed, | 对于女人来说是这样的 |
[1:24:32] | indistinguishable from folly. | 就像做傻事一样 |
[1:24:36] | I thank you for the honour of your proposal. I accept. Good day. | 谢谢你的求婚 我接受 祝您愉快 |
[1:25:06] | George, George. | 乔治 乔治 |
[1:25:08] | Mr Wisley is… He’s an honourable man. | 韦斯利先生… 他是个好人 |
[1:25:11] | You’ll always have a place with me. | 他会让你跟我们在一起的 |
[1:25:19] | Miss Austen. | 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:25:22] | Mr Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:25:33] | Sir. | 先生 |
[1:25:38] | I believe I must congratulate you, Mr Lefroy. | 我想我得恭喜你 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:25:43] | And you’ve come to visit an old friend at such a time. How considerate. | 在这么个时候来拜访老朋友 真是体贴周到啊 |
[1:25:53] | I have come | 我是来 |
[1:25:56] | to offer an explanation, belatedly, | 给你一个解释的 但晚了 |
[1:26:00] | for my conduct. I cannot think how to describe it. | 关于我的所作所为 我不知该怎么形容 |
[1:26:04] | Tell me about your lady, Mr Lefroy. | 那就谈谈你的未婚妻吧 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:26:07] | From where does she come? | 她是哪里人? |
[1:26:11] | She’s from County Wexford. | 她是韦克斯福德郡人 |
[1:26:14] | Your own country. Excellent. | 你的家乡 很好 |
[1:26:19] | What was it that won her? | 到底是你的哪点迷住了她? |
[1:26:21] | Your manner, smiles and pleasing address? | 你的修养 微笑还是你的口才? |
[1:26:30] | No, no, not at all. | 不 不 没有 |
[1:26:33] | No, had I really experienced that emotion, I should, | 不是的 如果我和他有过什么的话 |
[1:26:37] | at present, detest the very sight of him. | 现在我看到他就会恶心 |
[1:26:39] | And you are mistaken. | 你误会了 |
[1:26:41] | I’m even impartial towards the gloriously endowed Miss Wexford… | 我对那位高贵的 韦克斯福德小姐毫无偏见… |
[1:26:46] | I cannot do this. | 我做不到 |
[1:26:57] | And so you would marry Wisley? | 你真的要嫁给韦斯利? |
[1:27:04] | Please? | 求你了 |
[1:27:09] | If there is a shred of truth or justice inside of you, | 如果你的心里还有一丝坦诚和公平的话 |
[1:27:13] | – you cannot marry him. – Oh no, Mr Lefroy. | 你就不该嫁给他 不 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:27:15] | Justice, by your own admission, you know little of, truth even less. | 如果说公平 你懂得就更少了 |
[1:27:18] | Jane, I have tried. I have tried and I cannot live this lie. | 简 我试过了 我不能仍受这样的谎言 |
[1:27:23] | Can you? | 你能忍受吗 |
[1:27:26] | Jane, can you? | 简 你能吗 |
[1:27:32] | What value will there be in life if we are not together? | 如果我们不能在一起 生活还有什么意义? |
[1:27:42] | Run away with me. | 跟我逃吧 |
[1:27:47] | An elopement? | 私奔? |
[1:27:49] | That is exactly what I propose. | 这就是我所想的 |
[1:27:52] | We’ll post to London, by Friday be in Scotland, | 我们先赶到伦敦 星期五到苏格兰 |
[1:27:55] | and man and wife. | 一个男人和他的妻子 |
[1:27:59] | – Leave everything? – Everything. | 丢下一切? 一切 |
[1:28:03] | It is the only way we can be together. | 只有这样我们才能在一起 |
[1:28:24] | You’ll lose everything. | 你会失去一切的 |
[1:28:27] | Family, place. For what? | 家庭 地位 为了什么? |
[1:28:31] | A lifetime of drudgery on a pittance? | 辛辛苦苦一辈子? |
[1:28:35] | A child every year and no means to lighten the load? | 孩子一个个多起来 肩上永远扛着担子? |
[1:28:38] | – How will you write, Jane? – I do not know. | 你还怎么写作 简? 我不知道 |
[1:28:42] | But happiness is within my grasp and I cannot help myself. | 但幸福就在手中了 我必须这么做 |
[1:28:44] | There is no sense in this. | 清醒点吧 |
[1:28:51] | If you could have your Robert back, even like this, | 如果罗伯特能回到你身边 就算过苦日子 |
[1:28:56] | would you do it? | 你会怎么办? |
[1:29:04] | – Please conceal my departure as long as possible. – Wait. | 为我保密 时间越长越好 等等 |
[1:29:11] | Here. | 给 |
[1:29:14] | Take these. Now go, quickly. | 带上这些 现在就走 快 |
[1:29:51] | Come. If we hurry, we can still make the morning coach. | 走 如果我们快点的话 还能赶上早班车 |
[1:29:55] | You are sure? | 你真的决定了吗 |
[1:30:02] | Be careful. | 小心 |
[1:30:06] | – Is it coming? – Not yet. | 来了吗 还没 |
[1:30:11] | Take my hand. All right? | 抓住我的手 好吗 |
[1:30:14] | Hurry. I can hear it approaching. | 快 我听到马车声了 |
[1:30:22] | Here it is. | 来了 |
[1:30:32] | Two to London. We’ll settle at first rest. | 两个去伦敦 我们赶时间 |
[1:30:35] | – Yes? – Right you are, sir. | 好吗 没问题 先生 |
[1:31:07] | Hampshire, your home county. | 汉普郡 你的家乡 |
[1:31:11] | It was. | 曾经是 |
[1:31:21] | Stuck. Everybody out, ladies and gentlemen, please. | 陷住了 女士们 先生们 请下车 |
[1:31:26] | – We need to lighten the load. – No, let me, let me. | 我们得推一把 让我来 让我来 |
[1:31:29] | I shall require you gentlemen to give me a hand, put your shoulders into it. | 我需要男士们都来帮忙推一把 |
[1:31:36] | Now, sir, if you can push on the coach itself. Excuse me, sir. Young gentleman? | 先生 您能帮忙推一把吗 打扰一下 那位先生? |
[1:31:41] | – Yes, yes. – You on the other side, sir, thank you. | 来了 来了 麻烦你推那边 谢谢 |
[1:31:44] | – Young gentleman, please come along. – All right. | 先生们 一起来 好了 |
[1:31:47] | Mind helping us? Thank you. | 推一把 谢谢 |
[1:31:49] | Right, all together now then, sirs, please? | 好了 我们一起用力 先生们 |
[1:31:57] | One, two, | 一 二 |
[1:31:59] | and a three and push! | 三 用力! |
[1:32:02] | Come on. | 加油 |
[1:32:05] | “Dear Tom. | “亲爱的汤姆 |
[1:32:06] | “How timely was the arrival of the money you sent.” | “你寄来的钱太及时了” |
[1:32:11] | One, two and three! | 一 二 三! |
[1:32:19] | “It was so very much appreciated by your father and I. | “你父亲和我都很感激你 |
[1:32:22] | “You’re so kind to share your uncle’s allowance. | “这样和我们分享你舅舅给你的津贴 |
[1:32:26] | “Indeed, I do not dare | “说实话 我真不敢想象 |
[1:32:27] | think how we would survive without it.” | 如果没有你的钱 我们还怎么度日” |
[1:32:35] | Well done. Thank you, sirs. | 干得好 谢谢 先生们 |
[1:32:37] | All right, ladies and gentlemen, back on the coach as soon as you can, thank you. | 好了 各位请尽快上车 谢谢 |
[1:32:51] | We are ready. | 我们好了 |
[1:32:59] | – Worried? – No. | 你在担心? 没有 |
[1:33:02] | – Is it the loss of your reputation? – No. | 害怕名声扫地? 不是 |
[1:33:08] | The loss of yours. | 怕失去你 |
[1:33:10] | – I do not… – Please, sir, come along, the coach is departing. | 不会的… 先生 快点 得上路了 |
[1:33:13] | Come. | 走 |
[1:33:49] | Changing horses. Twenty minutes only. | 换马匹 就二十分钟 |
[1:33:52] | House of office at the back of the inn. All down, quick as you like. | 去旅馆后面的房间 都下车吧 越快越好 |
[1:34:17] | How many brothers and sisters do you have in Limerick, Tom? | 你家里有多少兄弟姐妹? |
[1:34:21] | Enough. Why? | 很多 怎么了? |
[1:34:27] | What are the names of your brothers and sisters? | 他们都叫什么名字? |
[1:34:29] | They… | 他们… |
[1:34:34] | On whom do they depend? | 他们靠谁糊口? |
[1:34:41] | Your reputation is destroyed. | 你会身败名裂的 |
[1:34:46] | Your profligacy is a beautiful sham. | 你的风流真是个善意的谎言 |
[1:35:01] | – I can earn money. – It will not be enough. | 我会赚钱 不够的 |
[1:35:06] | I will rise. | 我会升职的 |
[1:35:08] | With a High Court Judge as your enemy? And a penniless wife? | 和你舅舅作对? 带着一个身无分文的妻子? |
[1:35:13] | God knows how many mouths depending on you? | 想想有很多人要依靠你 |
[1:35:17] | My sweet, sweet friend, you will sink, and we will all sink with you. | 亲爱的 你会沉沦 我们都会跟着你沉沦 |
[1:35:22] | – I will… – Hampshire Flyer. | 我会… 汉普郡 |
[1:35:24] | Hampshire Flyer’s leaving in five minutes. | 去汉普郡的马车五分钟后上路 |
[1:35:31] | No! No, Jane. | 别 别 简 |
[1:35:35] | I will never give you up. | 我不会放弃你的 |
[1:35:37] | – Tom… – Don’t speak or think. | 汤姆… 别说也别去想 |
[1:35:42] | Just love me. Do you love me? | 你爱我就行 你爱我吗 |
[1:35:47] | Yes. | 我爱你 |
[1:35:50] | But if our love destroys your family, it will destroy itself. | 但如果爱情毁了你的家庭 它就会毁掉自己 |
[1:35:54] | – No. – Yes. | 不 会的 |
[1:35:56] | In a long, slow degradation of guilt and regret and blame. | 在内疚 后悔和自责中不断消逝 |
[1:36:00] | That is nonsense. | 胡说 |
[1:36:05] | Truth. | 是事实 |
[1:36:07] | Made from contradiction. | 矛盾的事实 |
[1:36:12] | But it must come with a smile. | 但必须微笑面对 |
[1:36:16] | Or else I shall count it as false and we shall have had no love at all. | 否则这就不是事实 我们宁可没爱过 |
[1:36:25] | Please. | 求你了 |
[1:36:34] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[1:36:51] | Typical bloody runaway. “Will I, won’t I?” | 好一个私奔的 快滚吧 |
[1:37:14] | Miss. Miss. | 小姐 小姐 |
[1:37:20] | All right, off you go. | 好了 走吧 |
[1:38:40] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[1:38:45] | – Where is everyone? – Looking for you, Miss. Looking everywhere. | 其他人呢 在找您 小姐 到处找 |
[1:38:50] | – Thank you, Jenny. – Mr Warren. | 谢谢 珍妮 沃伦先生 |
[1:38:56] | Your family tried to keep the matter from the servants, but… | 你家里人本不想让下人知道 可是… |
[1:39:01] | Where is that blackguard Lefroy? | 那个混蛋勒弗罗伊呢 |
[1:39:02] | My God, if Henry finds him, he’ll kill him. | 如果亨利找到他一定会杀了他 |
[1:39:05] | He won’t find him. | 他不会找到他的 |
[1:39:07] | If he does, he won’t kill him. | 如果找到了 也不会杀了他 |
[1:39:11] | There’s no need. | 没有必要 |
[1:39:14] | What happened? | 到底发生什么事了? |
[1:39:20] | Nothing happened. | 没什么 |
[1:39:23] | I see. I see. | 我明白 我明白 |
[1:39:36] | Jane, | 简… |
[1:39:40] | I may have less personal charm than Lefroy. | 也许我不如勒弗罗伊有魅力 |
[1:39:44] | Superficial charm to some eyes. To others, it is mere affectation, but I… | 那些只是表面上的 甚至是虚伪 但是我… |
[1:39:51] | – I have no hopes. – Hopes? | 我已经不抱希望了 希望? |
[1:39:55] | You cannot begin to imagine. | 是你想象不到 |
[1:39:58] | Thank you for the great honour of your offer, | 谢谢你真诚的求婚 |
[1:40:02] | but are there no other women in Hampshire? | 难道汉普郡就没其他女人了吗 |
[1:40:25] | It was you who wrote the judge. | 写信的人是你 |
[1:40:32] | You must consider how much I have always loved you. | 你要知道这么多年来 我一直有多爱你 |
[1:41:22] | Well? | 怎么? |
[1:41:28] | You came back to us. | 你回到我们身边了 |
[1:41:56] | Leave it. | 走开 |
[1:42:01] | Mr Austen, I must inform you that | 奥斯汀先生 得告诉你 |
[1:42:04] | I shall not attend service today. | 今天我不会去教堂做礼拜了 |
[1:42:06] | – Not in the presence of this young woman. – Indeed… | 尤其当这个年青女人在场时 实际上… |
[1:42:08] | – lf I must speak plainly… – Aunt. | 说的直接点的话… 阿姨 |
[1:42:10] | I believe your youngest daughter has been on a journey. | 我想你小女儿正在享受旅行吧 |
[1:42:14] | – Her Ladyship considers travel a crime? – Unsanctioned travel. | 夫人认为旅行是一种犯罪? 被禁止的旅行 |
[1:42:19] | Furthermore, be aware that my nephew has withdrawn his addresses | 还有 你得清楚我的侄子 已经收回他的求婚 |
[1:42:23] | to someone without family, fortune, importance | 因为一个没家没钱 卑微 |
[1:42:28] | and fatally tainted by suspicion. | 而又招人闲话的女人不配 |
[1:42:31] | – Oh, she has family, madam. – Indeed she has. | 她有家 夫人 事实上她有家 |
[1:42:37] | Importance may depend upon other matters | 决定一个人地位的可能是 |
[1:42:40] | than Your Ladyship can conceive. | 某些夫人想不到的因素 |
[1:42:42] | As to fortune, a young woman might depend upon herself. | 至于财富 一个年轻女子 完全可以靠自己取得 |
[1:42:48] | An interesting notion, Miss Austen. | 有趣的想法 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:42:58] | Oblige me a walk along the river to enlarge upon the topic. | 介意一起去河边走走吗 好好聊聊你的想法 |
[1:43:04] | Wisley? | 韦斯利? |
[1:43:12] | I am sorry if my conduct has disappointed you, Mr Wisley. | 很抱歉如果我所做的事 让你失望了 韦斯利先生 |
[1:43:18] | It seems you cannot bring yourself to marry without affection. | 看来你无法和一个不爱的人结婚 |
[1:43:22] | Or even with it. | 甚至是和相爱的人 |
[1:43:25] | I respect you for that | 我尊重你的选择 |
[1:43:27] | and share your opinion. Neither can I. | 也同意你的想法 因为我也做不到 |
[1:43:32] | I’d always hoped to win your love in time, | 我总希望最终能赢得你的爱 |
[1:43:35] | but I am vain enough to want to be loved for myself rather than my money. | 愚蠢的以为钱可以赢得你对我的爱 |
[1:43:39] | Do we part as friends? | 我们还是朋友? |
[1:43:42] | We do. | 是的 |
[1:43:47] | – So, you will live… – By my pen. Yes. | 那么你的生活得靠… 靠我的笔 没错 |
[1:43:54] | Will all your stories have happy endings? | 你的故事都会有快乐的结局吗 |
[1:43:57] | My characters will have, | 我故事里的人物 |
[1:44:00] | after a little bit of trouble, | 在经历磨难之后 |
[1:44:03] | all that they desire. | 会得到他们渴望的 |
[1:44:08] | The good do not always come to good ends. | 好人未必有好报 |
[1:44:13] | It is a truth universally acknowledged. | 这是个必须承认的事实 |
[1:44:17] | “…that a single man in possession of a good fortune | “…凡是有钱的单身汉 |
[1:44:20] | “must be in want of a wife.” | “总想娶位太太” |
[1:44:25] | “However little known the feelings | “这样的单身汉 每逢新搬到一个地方 |
[1:44:26] | or views of such a man may be | “四邻八舍虽然完全不了解 |
[1:44:28] | “on his first entering a neighbourhood, | 他的性情如何 见解如何 |
[1:44:30] | “this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families, | “一条真理早已在人们心目中根深蒂固 |
[1:44:36] | “that he is considered as the rightful property | “因此人们总是把他看作 |
[1:44:37] | of some one or other of their daughters. | 自己某一个女儿理所应得的一笔财产 |
[1:44:40] | “‘My dear Mr Bennet, ‘ | “有一天班纳特太太 |
[1:44:41] | said his lady to him, one day, | 对她的丈夫说:’我的好老爷’ |
[1:44:43] | “‘Have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last? ‘ | “‘尼日斐花园终于租出去了 你听说过没有?’ |
[1:44:46] | “Mr Bennet replied that he had not. | “班纳特先生回答道 他没有听说过 |
[1:44:48] | “‘But it is, ‘ returned she…” | “‘的确租出去了’她说…” (《傲慢与偏见》第1章) |
[1:46:39] | Is it Miss Austen? The Miss Austen? | 是奥斯汀小姐吗 大名鼎鼎的奥斯汀小姐? |
[1:46:42] | No, Madam. That courtesy, according to the customs of precedence, | 我不是 女士 这样的荣誉 |
[1:46:45] | belongs to my elder sister. | 属于我的姐姐 |
[1:46:47] | Miss Jane Austen, the authoress of Pride and Prejudice? | 简・奥斯汀小姐 《傲慢与偏见》的作者? |
[1:46:51] | My sister wishes to remain anonymous, but your kind regard is much appreciated. | 我妹妹不想公开身份 但依然感谢您的关心 |
[1:46:55] | – Thank you. – Thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[1:47:29] | Please, come through. | 这边走 |
[1:47:32] | I shall never forgive Henry for this. | 我不会原谅亨利的 |
[1:47:34] | Yes, you will. We always forgive him for everything. | 不 你会 我们总是原谅他 |
[1:47:41] | Jane, an old friend. | 简 老朋友来了 |
[1:47:44] | Late as ever. | 和以前一样迟到 |
[1:47:48] | Madame le Comtesse, Miss Austen. | 勒・冈德斯伯爵夫人 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:47:52] | Mr Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:48:01] | Please allow me to introduce to you | 我来介绍 |
[1:48:03] | your most avid of admirers, my daughter, Miss Lefroy. | 你最热心的崇拜者 我女儿 勒弗罗伊小姐 |
[1:48:10] | Miss Austen, what a pleasure to meet you. | 奥斯汀小姐 见到您很荣幸 |
[1:48:15] | Will you read for us this evening? | 今晚您会为我们朗读吗 |
[1:48:17] | Ah, well, you see, my sister never reads. | 这个 我妹妹从不朗读 |
[1:48:20] | Otherwise, how else is she supposed to remain anonymous? | 要不她怎么保持匿名呢 |
[1:48:23] | – But… – Jane. | 可是… 简 |
[1:48:32] | I will make an exception | 我可以破列 |
[1:48:35] | if my new friend wishes it. | 如果我的新朋友愿意 |
[1:48:39] | Come, sit by me. | 过来跟我坐 |
[1:48:52] | She is lovely, Tom. | 她很可爱 汤姆 |
[1:48:56] | “She began now to comprehend | “她开始理解到 |
[1:48:59] | “that he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents, | “他无论在个性方面和才能方面 |
[1:49:03] | “would most suit her. | “都百分之百是一个最适合她的男人 |
[1:49:05] | “His understanding and temper, | “纵使他的见解 他的脾气 |
[1:49:07] | though unlike her own, | 和她自己不是一模一样 |
[1:49:09] | “would have answered all her wishes. | “可是一定能够叫她称心如意 |
[1:49:13] | “It was an union that must have been to the advantage of both. | “这个结合对双方都有好处 |
[1:49:17] | “By her ease and liveliness, | “女方从容活泼 |
[1:49:19] | “his mind might have been softened, his manners improved, | “可以把男方陶治得心境柔和作风优雅 |
[1:49:23] | “and from his judgment, information and knowledge of the world, | “男方精明通达 阅历颇深 |
[1:49:29] | “she must have received benefit of greater importance. | “也一定会使女方得到莫大的裨益 |
[1:49:34] | “But no such happy marriage could now teach the admiring multitude | “可惜这件幸福的婚姻 已经不可能实现 |
[1:49:40] | “what connubial felicity really was.” | “天下千千万万想要缔结真正幸福婚姻的情人 |
[1:49:41] | “what connubial felicity really was.” | 从此也错过了一个借鉴的榜样” (《傲慢与偏见》第50章) |
[1:50:15] | 在简・奥斯汀短暂的一生中 她写了6部 英语文学中最伟大的作品 | |
[1:50:22] | 汤姆・勒弗罗伊成为了一名出色的律师 并成为爱尔兰首席法官 他将自己的大女儿命名为简 | |
[1:50:29] | 简和她的姐姐卡珊德拉终身未婚 |
Becoming Jane(成为简奥斯汀)[2007]电影台词本阅读、下载和单词统计
{"status":false,"code":5000,"msg":"失败"}