时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:09] | Hello? Yes, Buck, it’s Dr Crane. | 喂 是的 Buck 我是Crane医生 |
[00:11] | I’m calling to see if the cabin is ready for us. | 我想确认一下小木屋是否准备好了 |
[00:13] | Uh, You got the case of Montrachet? | 那箱12瓶的蒙哈榭葡萄酒到位了吗 |
[00:15] | Good. Good. | 很好 |
[00:17] | And the Thanksgiving feast will be delivered promptly at 3? | 感恩节盛餐将在三点准时送达么 |
[00:20] | Good. | 很好 |
[00:21] | The woodpile’s been thoroughly inspected for spiders? | 有没有彻底检查柴堆 确保没有蜘蛛 |
[00:25] | Excellent. Thank you. | 好极了 谢谢 |
[00:27] | Well, we’re ready to rough it in the great Northwest. | 好了 大西北简陋感恩节准备就绪 |
[00:32] | If you don’t mind my asking, | 别嫌我多嘴 |
[00:33] | are you taking anything along to keep your nephew amused? | 你给你的小侄子准备什么了吗 |
[00:35] | Yes, his grandfather. | 有啊 他爷爷呀 |
[00:38] | Oh, by the way, what time tomorrow are Frederick and Lilith flying in? | 顺便问一下 Frederick和Lilith明天什么时候到 |
[00:41] | Her broom touches down at 11. | 她骑着扫把十一点着陆 |
[00:45] | All right, now, when you mist the plants, | 对了 对了 给植物喷水的时候 |
[00:48] | be sure that the water is not too cold. | 得确保水不要太冷 |
[00:49] | I know I’m harping on and on about this, | 我知道这事我唠叨了好几遍了 |
[00:51] | but I know you’re not used to dealing with delicate flowers. | 但那是因为我知道你不习惯伺候娇弱的花朵 |
[00:53] | I’ve produced your show for three years, haven’t l? | 我给你这朵奇葩做了三年制作人 不算吗 |
[00:57] | I’ll leave you a number at Niles’ cabin in case anything goes wrong. | 为防万一 我会给你留个小木屋的电话 |
[01:00] | Oh, yes, and by the way, I frown on overnight guests. | 哦 还有 我不喜欢客人过夜 |
[01:03] | Then you’re not doing it right. | 那是你待客之道有问题 |
[01:08] | I’ll leave you my number in San Francisco too. | 我也会把我在旧金山的号码给你 |
[01:11] | You’re not going to the cabin with them? | 你不和他们一起去小木屋吗 |
[01:13] | No. Daphne’s decided to spend a traditional Thanksgiving | 不 Daphne决定和她的变装癖舅舅Jackie |
[01:15] | with her transvestite uncle, Jackie. | 一起过个传统的感恩节 |
[01:19] | Come on, Roz, I’ll show you around the kitchen. | Roz 过来 我带你看看厨房 |
[01:21] | So this uncle of yours, does he dress like a woman all the time? | 你那个舅舅成天穿女装吗 |
[01:24] | Oh, certainly not for work. | 上班当然不会穿了 |
[01:26] | His congregation would never stand for it. | 他教堂里的会众可受不了 |
[01:30] | Uhhh | 唉 |
[01:32] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[01:34] | Oh, just a little depressed. | 哦 就是有点低落 |
[01:36] | This is my first Thanksgiving without Maris. | 这是我离开Maris后的第一个感恩节 |
[01:38] | Oh, yeah. I know, son, it’s hard. | 我懂的 儿子 不容易呢 |
[01:41] | Remember the year I plopped that big wedge of pumpkin pie | 记得有一年 我把一大块南瓜派扔到 |
[01:44] | in front of her, and we all laughed? | 她面前 我们都哈哈大笑 |
[01:48] | Then I put a big scoop of whipped cream on top of it, | 接着我还在上面加了一大勺生奶油 |
[01:51] | and we laughed some more. | 我们笑得更欢了 |
[01:53] | Then her eyes welled up with tears, | 然后她泪如泉涌 |
[01:55] | and we all knew it was time to stop. | 我们就知道该适可而止了 |
[01:57] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[01:59] | Well, if it makes you feel any better, | 说句安慰你的话 |
[02:00] | I won’t be having my dream Thanksgiving either. | 今年的感恩季节安排我也不满意 |
[02:03] | Why does Lilith have to tag along anyway? | 为什么Lilith非粘着我们一起过节 |
[02:06] | She didn’t wanna spend the holiday alone. | 她不想一个人过节 |
[02:07] | Her husband is off in New Zealand, exploring a volcano. | 她丈夫在新西兰火山探险 |
[02:10] | Why couldn’t she go with him? | 她干嘛不一起去 |
[02:11] | Because if she accidentally fell in, | 因为如果她意外掉进火山口 |
[02:13] | the shock wave from the hottest thing in nature meeting the coldest | 自然界最火热的岩浆遇上最冷酷的人 |
[02:15] | would actually crack the Earth in two. | 产生的冲击波会让地球裂成两半 |
[02:23] | As if a smile from Maris couldn’t freeze Mercury. | Maris要是笑起来水星(地表均温179°C)也会结冰的 |
[02:27] | Guys, let it go. Nobody’s gonna win this one. | 别争了 说到底谁也不长脸 |
[02:34] | Hello? | 喂 |
[02:36] | Yes, Lilith. | 好的 Lilith |
[02:37] | Yes, Lilith. | 好的 Lilith |
[02:39] | Yes, Lilith. | 好的 Lilith |
[02:40] | Gee, it’s like they were still married. | 天哪 跟他们还没离婚的时候一模一样 |
[02:43] | If you change the paper towels, | 要是换厨房用纸 |
[02:44] | he likes the flap facing the front. | 他喜欢纸头朝外 |
[02:46] | If you change the bathroom tissue, the flap faces the back. | 要是换厕纸 纸头朝内 |
[02:48] | Don’t ask me why. | 照做就行 别问原因 |
[02:50] | I don’t know how you live with him. | 你怎么忍受和他一起生活的呢 |
[02:52] | I don’t know how you work with him. | 你还和他一起工作呢 |
[02:53] | Well, I have learned a trick. | 其实 我有个小窍门 |
[02:56] | When he’s really bugging me, | 他要是真烦到我了 |
[02:57] | I ask if he hasn’t lost a little weight. | 我就问他是不是变瘦了 |
[02:59] | Before you know it, | 瞬间 他就顾不上你 |
[03:00] | he’s checking his butt out in the glass at the candy machine. | 赶着在糖果机的玻璃上检查屁屁去了 |
[03:03] | Really? I tell him he’s gained weight. | 是吗 我反而说他长胖了 |
[03:05] | He skips dinner, sulks in his room, | 他就不吃晚饭 在房间生闷气 |
[03:07] | and I have the whole evening to myself. | 我就能我的夜晚我做主了 |
[03:09] | Oh, good. | 不错呀 |
[03:10] | Okay, you tell Frederick I said bravo. | 好的 告诉Frederick我为他喝彩 |
[03:14] | Frederick just passed the qualifying exam for the Marbury Academy! | Frederick刚刚通过了马布里学院的资格考试 |
[03:18] | Huzzah! | 甚好 |
[03:21] | What is that, some school? | 那是什么玩意 某个学校 |
[03:24] | Some…school? | 某个 学校 |
[03:27] | That’s– He doesn’t– | 这真是 他竟然不 |
[03:30] | Oh, Dad. Oh, Dad, please. | 哦 老爸啊老爸 拜托 |
[03:34] | No, the Marbury Academy is the | 马布里学院是整个波士顿地区 |
[03:36] | most exclusive private school in all of Boston. | 最难进的私人学校 |
[03:39] | It’s a breeding ground of power and privilege. | 传说中权力与特权的摇篮 |
[03:41] | Lilith and I have to be interviewed by the headmaster. | 校长要面试我和Lilith |
[03:43] | He’s got a busy schedule. | 他是个大忙人 |
[03:44] | He has agreed to see us Thanksgiving morning. | 只能在感恩节早上见我们 |
[03:46] | This, of course, changes our plans. | 所以 节日计划有变 |
[03:48] | Wait. You mean I don’t get to see my grandson? | 等等 你是说我见不到我孙子了 |
[03:49] | Of course you do. We’ll move our whole Thanksgiving celebration to Boston. | 当然要见 全体去波士顿欢度感恩节 |
[03:53] | I’ll call the airline. | 我给航空公司打电话 |
[03:54] | I’d better cancel our rustic Thanksgiving. | 我还是去取消我们的乡村感恩节吧 |
[03:56] | Hello, Buck, it’s Dr Crane. | 喂 Buck 是我Crane医生 |
[03:58] | Take the mints off the pillows | 把枕头上的薄荷糖撤了吧 |
[04:06] | Frederick, your father is here. | Frederick 你爸爸来了 |
[04:09] | – Dad! – Hey, Frederick! | – 老爸 – 嘿 Frederick |
[04:12] | – How are you? – Good to see you. – Good boy. | – 你好啊 – 见到你真高兴 – 乖孩子 |
[04:14] | Hi, Lilith, how you doing? | 嗨 Lilith 最近好吗 |
[04:15] | Happy Thanksgiving, Lilith. | 感恩节快乐 Lilith |
[04:17] | Martin Niles Martin. Niles. | |
[04:18] | Nice neighborhood. | 小区不错 |
[04:19] | I noticed a whole bunch of kids Freddie’s age playing in the street. | 我看见好多与Freddie同龄的孩子在街上玩 |
[04:22] | Yes. He’s spent many happy hours | 是啊 隔窗观察这些小孩的玩耍方式 |
[04:24] | at his window observing their play patterns. | 给他带来了不少乐趣呢 |
[04:28] | Niles, I’m afraid, with this interview, I’m running a little behind schedule, | Niles 因为那个面试 我有点来不及了 |
[04:33] | so I’m enlisting you to help with the turkey. | 所以我征用你帮忙烤火鸡 |
[04:35] | Oh, well, I’ve never cooked a turkey before, | 其实 我从没烤过火鸡 |
[04:37] | But the recipe’s here. I guess I can fumble my way through. | 但这儿有菜谱 我估计能鼓捣出来 |
[04:40] | How far along are you? | 你做到哪一步了 |
[04:42] | I’m nearly done defrosting. | 我快解冻完了 |
[04:46] | And the turkey? | 那火鸡呢 |
[04:51] | Might I suggest you stuff it? | 我建议你先填料吧 |
[04:54] | So the rabbit says to the bear, | 兔子就对熊说 |
[04:56] | “No, no, no, no. I said, ‘Oedipal’ not ‘edible.” | 不 我说的是”恋母”不是”炼乳” |
[05:00] | Good one, Dad. | 真搞笑 老爸 |
[05:02] | – Hello, Lilith. – You’re late. | – 你好 Lilith – 你迟到了 |
[05:04] | Oh, well, happy Thanksgiving to you too. | 哦 那么 也祝你感恩节快乐 |
[05:07] | Well, there, Frederick. | 好了 Frederick |
[05:08] | Now, Mommy and Daddy have to run off to this meeting. | 现在 妈咪和爸比要赶着去见校长了 |
[05:11] | But after that, I’m all yours. | 结束以后 我陪你好好玩 |
[05:12] | Meanwhile, why don’t you head on upstairs | 趁这个时候 你上楼去 |
[05:14] | and show Granddad and Niles your brand new computer? | 给爷爷和Nile叔叔展示一下你的新电脑好不好 |
[05:16] | – Okay. – Come on, sport. | – 好的 – 来吧 小宝贝 |
[05:18] | My God, are you half as nervous as I am? | 天哪 你能有我一半紧张吗 |
[05:20] | – And then some. – We have got to master our nerves. | – 远不止 – 我们得控制好情绪 |
[05:23] | It is vital that we appear | 我们家长表现得举止得体 |
[05:25] | to be well-adjusted, responsible parents. | 尽职尽责 对录取至关重要 |
[05:27] | Lilith, do you still keep the Valium with the contraceptives? | Lilith 你家的安定还和避孕药放在一块吗 |
[05:32] | Sorry, I needed the last one just to go in and pick up the application. | 不好意思 为了准备申请 我吃掉了最后一颗 |
[05:37] | I’ll assume you meant the Valium. | 你说的是安定吧 |
[05:43] | Perhaps before the interview | 或许在面试之前 |
[05:44] | you should sheathe that butter-knife-sharp wit of yours. | 你得给你那钝的跟黄油刀似的脑子找个保护套 |
[05:48] | Perhaps we could find the appropriate kitchen tool | 或许我们能找个合适的厨具 |
[05:50] | to ratchet down that bun of yours a notch or two. | 好好锉锉你的傲慢无礼 |
[05:54] | Frasier, stop. We should be focusing on our son. | Frasier 打住 专心儿子的事 |
[05:57] | You’re right, of course. We’ve always had our differences, | 说得对 虽然我们经常意见不合 |
[06:00] | But we’ve put them aside for the welfare of Frederick. | 但是为了Frederick的幸福 都丢在了一边 |
[06:02] | And this may be the most important | 对于儿子来说 有什么比 |
[06:04] | thing we ever do to ensure his happiness. | 进个好学校更重要的事呢 |
[06:06] | Not counting our divorce. | 咱俩的离婚呀 |
[06:10] | Freddie’s gonna break in this new mitt I bought him. | Freddie要试一下我给他买的新棒球手套 |
[06:12] | Uh, Frederick doesn’t play ball. | Frederick不玩球 |
[06:15] | He was just about to watch Pocahontas | 他马上要看<风中奇缘> |
[06:17] | and write a satiric essay on the historical inaccuracies. | 然后写篇文章 讽刺一下剧中的历史错误 |
[06:21] | Well, we’re off. | 好了 我们出发了 |
[06:23] | Now, wait. Where do you keep your saffron? | 等等 藏红花放在哪儿了 |
[06:25] | Third cupboard. | 橱柜第三层 |
[06:26] | – Um-hmm. Where are your shallots? – In the crisper. | – 好嘞 冬葱呢 – 冰箱保鲜格里 |
[06:28] | By the way, you still have to remove the entrails from the chest cavity. | 对了 你得把火鸡胸腔里的内脏处理掉 知道吧 |
[06:33] | In that case, where do you keep your ten-foot pole? | 这样啊 那你家的长柄鸡毛掸在哪儿 |
[06:38] | All right, Mommy and Daddy are going to see | 好了 就算拼了老命 妈咪和爸比 |
[06:40] | that you’re wearing a Marbury blazer, or die trying. | 也要让你穿上马布里的运动衫 |
[06:45] | Dad, maybe you should remove the entrails. | 老爸 还是你来弄内脏吧 |
[06:48] | No can do. Freddie and I are gonna play catch. | 不行 我和Freddie要去玩传接球了 |
[06:50] | Mother says balls are for the slow children. | 妈妈说棒球是笨孩子玩儿的 |
[06:53] | Yeah? Well, Grandpa’s in charge now. | 是吗 现在爷爷说了算 |
[06:55] | You’re gonna love baseball. It’s easy as riding a bike. | 你会爱上棒球的 简单得像骑自行车 |
[06:58] | – Mother says bikes are– – Yeah, I know. I know. | – 妈妈说自行车 – 好了 我知道了 知道了 |
[07:22] | – Dr Campbell. – Dr Sternin. | – Campbell博士 – Sternin博士 |
[07:24] | – Dr Campbell. – Dr Crane. | – Campbell博士 – Crane博士 |
[07:26] | Please come in. | 请进 |
[07:28] | – You have a lovely home. – Yes. | – 您家真温馨 – 是的 |
[07:30] | Thank you so much for seeing us today. | 感谢您今天百忙之中接待我们 |
[07:32] | You’re quite welcome. Make yourselves comfortable. I’ll get coffee. | 不客气 请随意 我去拿些咖啡 |
[07:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:36] | I think that went rather well, don’t you? | 我觉得一切顺利 你呢 |
[07:38] | So far, so good. | 目前为止还不错 |
[07:40] | Oh, my God, we have just got to get Frederick into this school. | 天哪 我们马上就要把Frederick弄进马布里了 |
[07:43] | I am so nervous. | 我太紧张了 |
[07:45] | I feel as though all the colour has drained from my face. | 我觉得脸上的血色都没了 |
[07:50] | – How is my makeup? – Well, you could use a pinch. | – 我的妆怎么样 – 可以整整 |
[07:53] | – Oh, do I have time? – No, no, no, you can use a pinch. | – 还来得及吗 – 不 不 不 掐一下就好 |
[07:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:59] | – Oh, oh, Lord. Oh, oh, dear. – What? | – 哦 天哪 哦 哦 哎呀 – 怎么了 |
[08:01] | Oh, well, l, uh– | 哦 好吧 我 |
[08:04] | I just reached down to pull a thread off what I thought was on my jacket. | 我刚拽了个线头 以为是我外套上的 |
[08:07] | It seems it’s attached to this cushion. | 但其实是这个垫子上的 |
[08:09] | Oh, Lord. Look, now this little bird has no beak. | 天哪 快看 这小鸟的嘴巴被我拽没了 |
[08:12] | – Stop doing that. – l, um– Give me your nail clippers. | – 别拽了 – 呃 把你的指甲剪给我 |
[08:15] | – I didn’t bring them. Just bite it off. – All right. | – 我没带 咬断了吧 – 好吧 |
[08:19] | – Does either of you take cream? – Yes. Yes, thank you. | – 你们要加奶油吗 – 要 要 谢谢 |
[08:24] | Then let me begin by saying that the child who fills this opening | 首先 我要说 此次录取的这个孩子 |
[08:28] | need not worry for the future. | 未来可以高枕无忧 |
[08:30] | “Opening”? There’s only one? | “这个” 只有一个名额 |
[08:32] | Yes. Well, children of alumni and certain generous benefactors | 是的 校友及某些慷慨捐助者的子女们 |
[08:36] | are, of course, given preference. | 当然会优先考虑 |
[08:38] | – Of course. – Of course. | – 当然 – 当然 |
[08:39] | Now regarding your Frederick, his scores, of course, are excellent, | 至于你们的Frederick 成绩自然是百里挑一 |
[08:42] | and I have no doubt he is being courted by other prestigious schools. | 毋庸置疑 其他精英学校也会向他伸出橄榄枝 |
[08:45] | – Oh, yes. – Yes, that goes without saying. | – 哦 是啊 – 是的 那还用说吗 |
[08:48] | Still, we like to think that we are a cut above. | 不过 我们自认为更胜人一筹 |
[08:51] | Our sixth-grade talent show | 我校的六年级才艺表演 |
[08:52] | just spawned a highly successful cast album. | 刚刚出了一张大获成功的专辑 |
[08:57] | Frederick has perfect pitch. | Frederick有绝对音准 |
[08:59] | Yes, we often use him to tune the piano. | 是的 我们都用他给钢琴调音 |
[09:06] | Excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[09:08] | Hello? | 喂 |
[09:10] | Ah, Senator Geiger. | Geiger议员 |
[09:13] | I thought I’d made it perfectly plain | 我想我已经解释得很清楚了 |
[09:15] | that you’d be notified by mail. | 通知会以邮件的形式送达 |
[09:17] | Well, senator, rules may not mean anything on Capitol Hill, | 好吧 议员先生 规矩在国会山可能不值一文 |
[09:20] | but they still mean something to me. | 但是在我这儿 还是有些分量的 |
[09:23] | And that is why young noah will be seeking his education elsewhere. | 因此小Noah 还是另择高明 别处求学吧 |
[09:28] | Do I sound flexible? | 我听着像能通融的吗 |
[09:34] | Marbury thanks you for your interest. | 感谢您对马布里的厚爱 |
[09:38] | – Frasier, your coffee. – Oh, yes, please be careful. | – Frasier 你的咖啡 – 哦 请小心 |
[09:41] | Those chairs have been in the family for three generations. | 这套椅子在我家已经传承了三代 |
[09:50] | Okay, let’s take a look. | 好了 我瞅瞅 |
[09:55] | Oh, it’s not so bad. | 也不是那么糟呀 |
[09:58] | Ah | 妈呀 |
[10:02] | You hardly notice it. | 几乎看不出来呢 |
[10:04] | Uh-oh. I lost my MedicAlert bracelet. | 呃 我的医疗信息手环丢了 |
[10:07] | Oh, maybe it fell off when we were playing catch. | 可能是玩传接球的时候掉了 |
[10:10] | – I’ll go look. – All right. | – 我去找找 – 好的 |
[10:13] | I still don’t know how it happened. | 我还是不明白怎么会这样 |
[10:14] | I lobbed it right to him. | 我扔得又慢又准 |
[10:16] | When will you learn, dad? | 觉悟吧 老爸 |
[10:17] | The only thing the Crane boys are skilled at catching | Crone家的孩子唯一擅长抓住的 |
[10:19] | is sarcastic nuance and the occasional virus. | 就是讽刺的玄妙和时不时的病毒 |
[10:23] | Let’s make a pact that as long as we’re guests of Lilith’s, | 我们做个约定吧 既然来Lilith家做客 |
[10:26] | we’ll avoid all activities that could possibly harm Frederick. | 就要避免所有可能伤害Frederick的活动 |
[10:30] | Where are those pie crusts? | 馅饼皮在哪儿啊 |
[10:32] | Found it. | 找到了 |
[10:41] | I taste blood. | 我尝到血了 |
[10:43] | – Now you’ve done it. – My God, Frederick, I am so sorry. | – 瞧你干的蠢事 – 天哪 Frederick 我非常抱歉 |
[10:48] | Squeeze right up here. There. | 在这儿攥住 这边 |
[10:51] | It’s them. | 他们回来了 |
[10:53] | Hey, pal, why don’t we go find some cotton upstairs for that thing, huh? | 我们去楼上找点棉球吧 |
[10:56] | Wait, wait, wait. How will I explain this to Lilith? | 等等 我怎么跟Lilith解释 |
[10:58] | I don’t know. How did you give Maris bad news? | 我怎么知道 你怎么跟Maris讲坏消息的 |
[11:00] | Usually by breaking a tranquillizer into her Slim-Fast. | 一般就在她的减肥药里加镇静剂 |
[11:08] | Did you notice how those patrician eyebrows of his arched | 你提起Frederick的国家科学奖时 |
[11:12] | when you mentioned Frederick’s National Science Award? | 注意到他那贵气的眉毛弯成什么样子了吗 |
[11:14] | Yes. | 注意到了 |
[11:15] | I take it Dr Campbell was favourably impressed? | 看来Campbell博士对你们印象不错啊 |
[11:18] | – Ohhh. – We had an initial bout of nervousness, | – 那是 – 一开始我们还有些紧张 |
[11:20] | but after that, we did an absolute bang-up job. | 但是后来 表现得好到爆 |
[11:23] | Speaking of bang-up jobs– | 说到这个爆啊 |
[11:25] | You know, Lilith, there’s just one question | Lilith 你知道吗 只有一个问题 |
[11:28] | – I wish we’d answered differently. – Which one? | – 当时能换个答法就好了 – 哪个 |
[11:30] | Remember, he mentioned Frederick was being courted by other schools? | 校长提到其它学校也对Frederick青睐有加 |
[11:34] | I wonder if we shouldn’t have made it clear | 我们是不是没说清楚 |
[11:36] | that Marbury is far and away our first choice. | 马布里绝对是我们的首选 |
[11:39] | Frasier, if you over analyze every detail, | Frasier 你要是这么钻牛角尖 |
[11:42] | you will rob us of the joy of the moment. | 就剥夺了我们享受当下的乐趣 |
[11:44] | It will be our wedding night all over again. | 不就成了我们新婚之夜的重演 |
[11:49] | Speaking of hard-to-explain bruises– | 说到这个莫名其妙的创伤啊 |
[11:52] | Yes, well, you’re right. You’re right, of course. I’m sure everything’s fine. | 是的 你说得对 说得对 一切都很完美 |
[11:56] | Unless we didn’t convey to him how highly we regard Marbury. | 除非 我们没能传达对马布里的万分尊敬之情 |
[12:01] | Well, see, that is my worry. | 你看 这就是我担心的 |
[12:02] | We must correct this. What should I say? | 必须要补救 我该怎么说 |
[12:05] | Oh, Lilith, stop! Stop! | 哦 Lilith 别 别 |
[12:07] | Remember what happened when the senator called? | 记得议员打电话的悲剧吗 |
[12:10] | – We need– We need a ruse. – You’re right. | – 我们要 要智取 – 说得对 |
[12:13] | How’s this? | 这样行不 |
[12:14] | We go back, and I say that I lost my earring in his living room. | 咱回去一趟 就说我的耳环落在他家客厅了 |
[12:18] | While looking for it, we casually mention | 在找耳环的时候 不经意间提起 |
[12:19] | that Marbury is Frederick’s first and only choice. | 马布里是Frederick的首选也是唯一选择 |
[12:22] | – Perfect. – Let’s go. | – 完美 – 走起 |
[12:25] | Speaking of dumb-ass ideas… | 说到这个馊主意啊 |
[12:35] | Ah, yes, Dr Campbell, I hope we’re not disturbing anything important. | 啊 Campbell博士 希望没打扰到您 |
[12:38] | Actually, I’m a bit frazzled trying to get my Thanksgiving dinner together. | 其实我正疲于准备感恩节大餐 |
[12:41] | I’m afraid I lost an earring here this morning. | 今早我在贵舍落了一只耳环 |
[12:44] | Oh, well, I’ll have a look around and call you if it turns up. | 我会留意 找到就给你们打电话 |
[12:47] | Well, um– | 这个 呃啊 |
[12:48] | Uh, do you think i might be able to take a peek right now? | 我能现在就去看一眼吗 |
[12:51] | I wouldn’t even think of asking, | 算是不情之请 |
[12:52] | but it was a treasured gift from Golda Meir. | 但那是果尔达梅厄所赠的珍贵礼物 |
[12:58] | – Very well. – Thank you. | – 好吧 – 谢谢 |
[13:01] | Forgive me, I must turn the heat down on the pumpkin soup. | 抱歉 我得去把南瓜汤的火调小一点 |
[13:06] | Lilith, we rehearsed everything we were going to say on the ride over. | Lilith 来的路上我们全部都排练过了 |
[13:09] | Where the hell did Golda Meir come from? | 果尔达梅厄到底是从哪冒出来的 |
[13:11] | I admit it wasn’t half as clever as “Um.” | 这话听上去是没有”呃啊”聪明 |
[13:16] | – But it got us in. – Mm-hmm. | – 但是我们靠它进来了 – 嗯哼 |
[13:18] | – Any luck? – Not yet. | – 找到了吗 – 还没有 |
[13:22] | We’re so sorry about this. | 非常抱歉 |
[13:24] | The whole ride over here we kept saying: | 来的路上我们一直在说 |
[13:27] | “Why did this have to happen at the only school that matters to us?” | “为什么这事要发生在我们唯一在意的学校身上” |
[13:31] | Yes, as you know, Marbury is our first choice. | 是的 正如您所知 马布里是我们的首选 |
[13:34] | Oh, look, here it is. | 哦 看哪 在这儿 |
[13:37] | – That was lucky. – Remarkably so. | – 真幸运 – 幸运至极啊 |
[13:39] | Considering that wasn’t the chair you were sitting in. | 那都不是你早上坐的椅子 |
[13:42] | – Um– – Well, I suppose it’s time we be shoving off. | – 呃 – 好了 是时候告辞了 |
[13:46] | I’m curious. I’ve always been a great admirer of Mrs Meir. | 我很好奇 我一直是梅厄女士的忠实仰慕者 |
[13:50] | How did you meet? | 你们是怎么认识的 |
[13:52] | Oh, well, it’s a funny story. | 其实 那是个很有趣的故事 |
[13:56] | Oh, yes. Yeah. | 哦 对 对 |
[13:58] | Frasier, you tell it much better than I do. | Fraiser 这故事你讲得比我好多了 |
[14:04] | Oh, yes. Yes. It was back in college days. | 哦 对 对 这得追溯到大学时光 |
[14:09] | Lilith spent a summer at a kibbutz | Lilith在基布兹待过一个夏天 |
[14:12] | and was dating her grandson, Oscar. | 还和她的孙子奥斯卡约会了 |
[14:20] | That would be Oscar Meir? | 他叫奥斯卡梅厄(美国著名肉类品牌) |
[14:24] | Yes. Well, just imagine the ribbing he took. | 是的 可以想象他受到的嘲笑 |
[14:27] | Indeed. Well, it’s so good to see you both again. | 可以想象 很高兴再次见到两位 |
[14:32] | Enjoy your Thanksgiving. Marbury thanks you for your interest. | 感恩节快乐 感谢您对马布里的厚爱 |
[14:36] | Wait. Wait a minute. “Marbury thanks you for your interest.” | 等 等一下 “感谢您对马布里的厚爱” |
[14:38] | We know what that means. | 我们知道这话什么意思 |
[14:39] | Oh, good. Then you’ll have no trouble interpreting this. | 哦 太好了 你们就不难理解这个动作了 |
[14:45] | You had to give him gum, didn’t you? | 你非得给他口香糖吗 |
[14:50] | Not just gum, bubble gum. | 还是能吹泡泡的那种 |
[14:52] | Well, maybe what threw him off | 我觉得主要问题在于 |
[14:54] | is having to breathe through his mouth while you chew it. | 嚼着口香糖这小子就不会呼吸了 |
[14:57] | You know, Frederick, when I was a boy nothing brought a smile to my face | Frederick 我小的时候最开心的就是 |
[15:00] | like when Mother would make a remoulade and let me lick the spoon. | 妈妈做了蛋黄酱 让我舔勺子品尝 |
[15:04] | – Thanks, Uncle Niles. – You’re welcome. | – 谢谢 Nailes叔叔 – 不用谢 |
[15:06] | You think maybe I should trim his bangs a little bit? | 你觉得我是不是该给他修修刘海 |
[15:09] | Maybe you should put the scissors down | 趁他另外一只眼睛没事 |
[15:11] | while he still has one good eye. | 您老还是把剪刀放下吧 |
[15:14] | Uh-oh. | 呃哦 |
[15:15] | – Is there anchovies in this? – Yes. | – 这里面加了凤尾鱼 – 是的 |
[15:19] | Oh, my God, I’ve never seen hives break out that fast. | 天哪 我从没见过发得这么快的麻疹 |
[15:25] | – They’re back! – Freddie, you got any pills for this? | – 他们回来了 – Freddie 你有抗过敏药吗 |
[15:27] | I got pills for everything. | 我什么药都有 |
[15:34] | Of all the names in the universe, you had to pick “Oscar.” | 全宇宙那么多名字 你一定要选奥斯卡吗 |
[15:41] | You started us down that path of insanity. | 这些鬼扯都是你开的头 |
[15:44] | Golda Meir. Golda my ass! | 果尔达梅厄 果我妹啊 |
[15:50] | This sniping is pointless. | 没必要再相互抨击了 |
[15:52] | Getting into Marbury was a long shot anyway. | 录取马布里本来就胜算不大 |
[15:55] | You heard the man. | 校长也说了 |
[15:56] | Most of these openings go | 大多数录取机会都给了 |
[15:58] | to children of alumni and generous benefactors. | 校友及捐助者的孩子们 |
[16:01] | Yes, yes. | 对 对 |
[16:03] | Wait a minute. | 等一下 |
[16:05] | Oh, my God, we’re such fools. | 天哪 我们真傻 |
[16:06] | Don’t you see what the man was trying to tell us? | 他话里有话啊 |
[16:08] | He was trying to give us the way to get Frederick accepted. | 录取方法他已经和盘托出了 |
[16:11] | Are you saying he was fishing for a donation? | 你是说他其实是在要捐助 |
[16:16] | So you think he was just trying | 你觉得他是在试探 |
[16:17] | to see if we were willing to pay our fair share? | 我们是否愿意给该出的那份钱 |
[16:21] | What else? | 还能有什么 |
[16:23] | – Hi, Daddy. – In a minute, Frederick. | – 嗨 爸比 – 等一下 Frederick |
[16:25] | God, it was right in front of us, and we missed it. | 天哪 唾手可得 我们竟然错失良机 |
[16:27] | – We didn’t even see it. – How could we be so blind? | – 一点都没悟出来 – 怎么能如此眼瞎 |
[16:31] | Maybe we should get ourselves back there and give him what he wants. | 我们应该再赶回去 投其所好 予其所求 |
[16:34] | Right. We can’t let anything stand in the way of our son’s welfare. | 对 为了儿子的幸福 人挡杀人 佛挡杀佛 |
[16:37] | – Mother. – Mother has to run, munchkin. Go play with Grandpa. | – 妈妈 – 妈妈有急事 小矮人儿 和爷爷玩去 |
[16:52] | Ah, Dr Sternin and Dr Crane. | 啊 Sternin博士 Crane博士 |
[16:55] | Forgive me if I don’t give you a big hello hug, | 原谅我无法给你们一个大大的问候拥抱 |
[16:58] | but as you can see, I’m wearing this greasy apron. | 诚如你们所见 我正穿着一个油腻的围裙 |
[17:00] | On top of which, I’m beginning to loathe the sight of both of you. | 但最重要的原因是 我看到你们就感到反胃 |
[17:04] | All the more reason for us to be brief. | 让我们简单说一下造访的原因 |
[17:06] | Yes, I’m sure you’ll be on your way | 是啊 我想这次 一旦找到了 |
[17:07] | just as soon as you’ve found the cufflink given to you by Haile Selassie. | 海尔塞拉西一世送的袖扣 你们就马上走人了 |
[17:15] | No false pretence this time. | 这次没有任何虚假的借口 |
[17:17] | We know that with so many qualified applicants | 我们知道面对着那么多优秀的申请者 |
[17:20] | and only one position open | 而只有一个的名额 |
[17:22] | that your decision must be very difficult. | 您一定很难做出抉择 |
[17:25] | Yes. And so, in the spirit of the holidays, | 是的 本着感恩节的精神 |
[17:28] | like Indians to your Pilgrims’ table, | 就像土著人赠予清教徒食物 |
[17:30] | we bring this little bit of garnish, as it were, | 我们给您带了点小配菜 |
[17:34] | in the hopes that our relationship may flower. | 希望我们的友谊开出五月花 |
[17:40] | I’ll have you know that, in 22 years, | 告诉你们 过去的22年间 |
[17:42] | I have never accepted a bribe. | 我没有收过一次贿赂 |
[17:44] | I have to tell you that I find this utterly offensive… | 你们此举对我是极大的冒犯 |
[17:46] | …in every possible way. | 何况就这个数目 |
[17:51] | Now, if you don’t mind, I have guests on the way | 恕不奉陪 我的客人快到了 |
[17:54] | and a turkey so undercooked | 可是火鸡还没烤熟 |
[17:55] | a skilled veterinarian could still save him. | 找个高明的兽医 还能妙手回春 |
[17:59] | – But, Dr Campbell– – Unless the rest of that sentence is: | – 但是 Campbell博士 – 除非接下来你要说 |
[18:03] | “I have a fully cooked turkey” In the breast pocket of that blazer” | “在我外套的胸袋里 有一只烹饪好的火鸡” |
[18:06] | I’m afraid our conversation is at an end. | 不然我们的谈话到此结束 |
[18:24] | Muah! | 么么哒 |
[19:09] | This is indeed a very special holiday for us all. | 今天对我们而言 是个特殊的节日 |
[19:13] | Pamela, Cynthia, I’m particularly grateful | Pamela Cynthia 我非常感激 |
[19:17] | that finally you’ve been able to set aside your differences | 你们能够搁置争端 |
[19:20] | and join us in this Thanksgiving… | 与我们共享感恩节 |
[19:22] | …tortellini. | 的饺子 |
[19:25] | Well, as angry as I was that you admitted Regan | 尽管我十分愤怒贵校录取了Regan |
[19:28] | into Marbury instead of our Wesley, | 而非我们Wesley |
[19:30] | it’s all worked out for the best. | 但结果还是皆大欢喜 |
[19:32] | Wesley is thriving at the Barkley School. | Wesley在巴克利如鱼得水 |
[19:35] | I’m delighted to hear it. | 耳闻如此 十分快慰 |
[19:36] | Oh, I have a dusty bottle of Chateau Lafitte in the cellar | 地窖里有瓶尘封已久的拉菲特尔 |
[19:40] | waiting for an occasion like this. | 就等着今天这样的场合开瓶 |
[19:44] | Well… | 好吧 |
[19:47] | This is nice. | 真不错 |
[19:50] | Yes, it is. | 是啊 |
[19:53] | – I’ll get it. – I’ll get it. | – 我来吧 – 我来吧 |
[20:01] | – Hello. – Hello, is Dr Campbell in? | – 你好 – 你好 Campbell博士在吗 |
[20:04] | Yes, he’s just gone to the cellar to get a bottle of wine. | 在 他刚去酒窖拿酒了 |
[20:07] | Don’t mean to intrude, but we heard | 无意打扰 但是我们听说 |
[20:08] | he was having trouble with his turkey, thought we’d drop this by. | 他火鸡没准备好 我们就想送上这个 |
[20:12] | Oh, how very generous of you. Please, come in. | 哦 你们真是慷慨大方 请进 |
[20:14] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:14] | Look, everyone, friends of Colin’s – have brought us a turkey. | 看哪 Colin的朋友带来一只火鸡 |
[20:18] | Well, I think “Friends” is probably stretching it just a tad. | 其实 说朋友有点勉强 |
[20:23] | You see, our son was a candidate for Marbury, | 我们的儿子是马布里的录取候选人 |
[20:26] | and in our zeal to see him accepted, | 因为热切地想让他录取 |
[20:28] | we may have come on a bit strongly. | 我们可能做得有些激进 |
[20:30] | Yes. Well, I mean, I’m sure you understand, as parents yourselves. | 其实 作为父母 你们一定都能理解的 |
[20:34] | It’s only natural to wish the very best for your son. | 自然是希望给自家孩子最好的了 |
[20:37] | – Oh, absolutely. – There are other good schools. Barkley is excellent. | – 那当然 – 也有其它好学校啊 巴克利就是极好的 |
[20:42] | Yes. Well, thank you very much for trying to cheer us up. | 是啊 谢谢你的鼓励 |
[20:44] | But I mean, really, if you’re looking for a filet mignon, | 但是 说真的 要是你想吃的是菲力牛排 |
[20:47] | you can hardly swallow ground chuck. | 那碎牛肉馅就难以下咽了 |
[20:51] | Now, now. Barkley is a very charming little school. | 其实 Barkley是一个很美妙的小学校 |
[20:55] | – “Little school”? – Now, don’t be so sensitive. | – 小学校 – 别这么敏感 |
[20:59] | – Damn your condescension. – Damn your jealousy! | – 你这该死的傲慢态度 – 你这是纯粹的嫉妒 |
[21:02] | – Don’t talk to my wife that way! – Oh, shut up, Elliot. | – 不许对我太太无礼 – 哦 闭嘴吧 Elliot |
[21:05] | Don’t you talk to my husband that way! | 不许对我丈夫无礼 |
[21:12] | Quiet! | 肃静 |
[21:14] | We brought a turkey. | 我们带了个火鸡来 |
[21:18] | I don’t know how this started. | 我不清楚起因 |
[21:20] | I can only be sure it started with the two of you. | 但我确定你们是罪魁祸首 |
[21:23] | Actually, we– | 实际上 我们 |
[21:24] | I will die a happy man if I never set eyes on either of you again. | 你们赶紧从我眼前永远消失 不然我死不瞑目 |
[21:28] | Unfortunately, there’s only one way I can think of to ensure that. | 不幸的是 我只能想出一个办法来确保此事 |
[21:32] | Your son Frederick is hereby admitted to the Marbury School. | 你们的儿子被马布里录取了 |
[21:34] | Ohhh | 嗷 |
[21:35] | However, he will be immediately expelled | 但是 一旦你们触犯了以下规定 |
[21:38] | if either of you violates any of the following conditions: | 他将立刻被开除 |
[21:41] | You will not bring him to school. You will not collect him. | 你俩不能接送他上下学 |
[21:43] | You will not attend any recitals, | 你俩不能参加朗诵会 |
[21:45] | plays, sporting events or school functions | 表演 体育活动 或者其它任何学校活动 |
[21:48] | up to and including Frederick Crane Day, should we ever have one. | 包括Frederick Crane日 如果有这么一天的话 |
[21:52] | And when graduation comes, | 在毕业典礼上 |
[21:54] | you will dispatch an appropriate envoy with a video camera. | 只能派一个合适的代表来录像 |
[21:58] | And now it is with great pleasure that I bid you goodbye forever. | 现在 我万分荣幸地与你们永别 |
[22:02] | Allow me. | 请让我来 |
[22:07] | We’re in. | 录取啦 |