时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:09] | Well, I’m off to get our lunch. Any special requests? | 我出去买午餐了 有什么特别需要吗 |
[00:12] | Oh, no… no, anything you pick up will be fine. | 没有 没有 你选得都好 |
[00:15] | Okay, then. Back in a bit. | 那好吧 一会儿就回来 |
[00:17] | She is such a doll. | 她真是个可人儿 |
[00:18] | You are such a doll. | 你真是个可人儿 |
[00:22] | – I thought she’d never leave. – I know. | – 还以为她永远都不走了 – 就是说 |
[00:25] | – It’s nice to have some time alone finally. – Come here, you. | – 终于有时间独处啦 – 快过来 你 |
[00:33] | Hey, you, get your own! | 嘿 找你自己的去 |
[00:35] | Now, go on. Now, get away. Come on. | 快闪开 快点 |
[00:37] | – Hey, come with me. Come on, Eddie. – Go on. Go on. | – 嘿 跟我来 快来 Eddie – 去吧 |
[00:39] | Come on, there you go. | 来 进去吧 |
[00:42] | Seat’s already up for you. It’s happy hour. | 座椅已经给你准备好啦 是享乐时间哦 |
[00:45] | Bye. | 拜 |
[00:46] | – Now, where were we? – Oh, come here, you little devil, you. | – 咱到哪步了 – 快过来 你这个小恶魔 |
[00:53] | Well, look who was just coming home | 看看是谁刚好回家 |
[00:54] | with take-out from the gourmet shop. | 还从食品店里买了外卖 |
[00:55] | – Oh, isn’t that lucky? – Hey, boys. | – 真是幸运啊 – 嘿 孩子们 |
[00:58] | My, don’t you look handsome in your best bib and tucker. | 老天 穿上这好行头你们还真是帅气啊 |
[01:02] | Come on and give Aunt Sherry a great big kiss. | 快来好好亲姨妈Sherry一下 |
[01:06] | Or perhaps just a friendly wave from across the room. | 或者从房间另一边友好的挥手就已足够 |
[01:09] | Niles, you are so shy. | Niles 你就是那么害羞 |
[01:12] | Thank God your big brother isn’t. Come on, Fras, plant one on me. | 幸亏你哥就不是 快来 Fras 亲我一口 |
[01:17] | There you are. | 好了 |
[01:21] | Has Eddie been licking you? | Eddie舔你来着 |
[01:24] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[01:25] | Yes, yes, I thought your perfume had a hint of sausage in it. | 是吧 我就觉得你的香水里有一丝香肠味 |
[01:30] | So you two have been shopping. | 你俩去买东西了 |
[01:32] | Well, “Antique-ing” Actually. | 准确说是买古董了 |
[01:34] | I just found the most exquisite Japanese doorknocker. | 我刚淘到了一款最为精致的日本门环 |
[01:37] | It’s said to bring peace and tranquility to any home it adorns. | 据说装在家里 能保家宅平安 |
[01:42] | I haven’t seen any decent Oriental knockers | 我上次看见这么漂亮的东方门环(乳房) |
[01:44] | since Emperor Chow’s Shanghai Revue. | 还是在<周皇帝的上海滑稽剧>里面 |
[01:49] | Isn’t she great? She’s as funny as she is classy. | 她牛吧 她的幽默感堪比她的品味 |
[01:53] | No argument there. | 毫无异议 |
[01:57] | Oh, by the way, if you want someone to install that for you, | 对了 要是你需要别人帮你安装 |
[02:00] | I can put you in touch with my ex-houseman, Ghi. | 我可以让你和我的前男佣Ghi联系下 |
[02:02] | – Ghi? – No, Ghi. | – Ghi – 不对 Ghi |
[02:05] | – Ghi? – No, no. Back of the throat. Ghi. | – Ghi – 不对 要从嗓子后面发音 Ghi |
[02:07] | Oh, what’s the difference? | 有什么区别吗 |
[02:09] | I’m not so helpless that | 我还没有无能到 |
[02:10] | I cannot install a simple doorknocker on my own. | 连一个简单的门环都不能自己装了 |
[02:19] | You might want to use the screwdriver. | 你可能需要用螺丝刀 |
[02:22] | That’s exactly what I was about to get. | 我正要拿呢 |
[02:27] | It’s in the tool drawer. | 在工具抽屉里 |
[02:32] | The drawer under that big tea server thing. | 抽屉在那个沏茶的大东西下面 |
[02:35] | Dad, that is a Byelorussian samovar. | 老爸 那是个白俄大茶壶 |
[02:38] | My God, how long have you lived here? | 老天爷 你住这儿都这么久了 |
[02:41] | Here we are. Lunch is ready. | 好了 午餐准备好了 |
[02:42] | Oh, actually, hon, I just remembered | 哎呀 亲爱的 我刚想起来 |
[02:44] | I’ve got an errand I gotta run before I get to work. | 还有件小事情要上班前处理一下 |
[02:47] | Goodbye, Niles. | 再见了 Niles |
[02:48] | Don’t worry, I’m not gonna kiss you. | 不用担心 我不会亲你的 |
[02:50] | I know it embarrasses you. | 知道你不好意思 |
[02:53] | Wait, come here. | 等等 过来 |
[02:55] | You got some schmutz on your cheek. | 你脸上有点儿脏东西 |
[02:58] | My mistake, it’s a mole. | 我错了 原来是颗痣 |
[03:01] | You might wanna have that checked. | 你可能需要去检查一下 |
[03:04] | Oh, I think now I’ll just play it safe and have it removed. | 哦 现在我还是打安全牌直接切掉它吧 |
[03:10] | Oh, Daphne, you know, | Daphne 看起来 |
[03:11] | apparently this morning when you were dusting, you forgot– | 今早打扫的时候 你忘记了 |
[03:13] | This objet does not face front, but rather, askew. | 这东西不应该面向正前方 而是 歪着的 |
[03:18] | Oh, I’m so sorry, Dr. Crane. | 哦 真是抱歉 Crane医生 |
[03:19] | I should never have tried to do it without | 我真不应该在没有 |
[03:21] | that diagram you drew me. | 你给我画的示意图的指导下打扫 |
[03:24] | Oh, Frasier, now that I know you like antiques, | Frasier 既然我知道你喜爱古董 |
[03:27] | I’ve got a little present at home for you. | 我家里有件小礼物要给你 |
[03:29] | It’s a lamp shaped like two frogs kissing. | 是一个外形像两只青蛙接吻的台灯 |
[03:32] | And when you turn it on, their hearts glow. | 你开灯时候 它们的心脏会发光 |
[03:36] | When would you like me to bring it by? | 你希望我什么时候拿过来 |
[03:38] | Preferably when I’m here. | 最好是我在的时候 |
[03:42] | I’ll bring it with me tomorrow. Bye-bye. | 我明天拿来 拜拜 |
[03:46] | Daphne, would you bring me that hammer? | Daphne 你能把那锤子给我么 |
[03:48] | I thought you just needed a screwdriver for your door knocker. | 我还以为你只要螺丝刀来装门环呢 |
[03:50] | Well, I do. | 没错 |
[03:51] | I just wanna be prepared when that froggy lamp gets here. | 我就是为了明天的青蛙灯做准备 |
[03:55] | – Oh, see you later, honey. I’ll call you. – Okay, bye. | – 回见 亲爱的 我给你电话 – 好的 拜 |
[03:59] | – Oh, hi there, Mrs. Langer. – Ms. | – 哦 你好啊 Langer夫人 – 女士 |
[04:01] | Oh, right, Mis… | 哦 对啊 女士 |
[04:03] | …erable old cow. | 你个悲催鬼 |
[04:09] | – Niles, tonight’s your opera night, isn’t it? – Yes. Why? | – Niles 今晚是你的歌剧之夜 对吧 – 是 怎么了 |
[04:12] | Well, I was just wondering, you know, | 我只是在想 |
[04:13] | I’d love to cook a nice romantic dinner for Sherry, | 我想为Sherry做一顿浪漫晚餐 |
[04:16] | but I can’t do it at her place because I’m allergic to her cats, | 但在她家不行 因为我对她的猫过敏 |
[04:19] | and there’s just no privacy around here. | 而这儿又毫无隐私可言 |
[04:21] | Say no more, Dad. | 懂了 老爸 |
[04:23] | My bachelor pad is the perfect place to entertain a young lady. | 我的单身公寓是宴请年轻女士的绝佳选择 |
[04:26] | Just remember: | 只要牢记 |
[04:27] | Always use coasters, | 使用杯垫 |
[04:29] | no snacking in the carpeted areas, | 禁止在地毯上吃零食 |
[04:31] | and close the art books after viewing so you don’t crease the spine. | 还有艺术书籍阅后收好以免弄皱书脊 |
[04:36] | I believe they have the same rules at the Playboy Mansion. | 我相信花花公子公寓也有相同的规定 |
[04:40] | Well, there we are. | 大功告成 |
[04:42] | That’s that, huh? That’s not so hard. | 就是这样 也没多难嘛 |
[04:44] | You know, tomorrow morning, | 看来明早 |
[04:45] | I think I may just have to tackle that leaky sink in the powder room. | 我得修理一下洗手间漏水的池子了 |
[04:51] | Oh, I’m sorry, I thought that was a joke. | 抱歉 我以为你说笑话呢 |
[04:58] | Oh, the inaugural knock. | 新环上任第一敲 |
[05:02] | Oh, what’s this? | 哎呀 这是什么 |
[05:08] | “Your unauthorized doorknocker | “你擅自安装的门环” |
[05:10] | violates the condo by-laws regarding hallway decoration. | “违反了走廊装饰相关的公寓规定” |
[05:14] | Remove it immediately.” | “立刻拆除” |
[05:16] | That’s one of Mrs. Langer’s “No-no” Slips. | 那是Langer夫人的否决条 |
[05:19] | I can’t stand that woman. | 真受不了那女人 |
[05:21] | Just because she’s president of the condo board, | 就因为她是这公寓居民委员会的主席 |
[05:23] | she acts like this building’s her kingdom. | 搞得好像这座大楼都是她的王国 |
[05:25] | Everything has to be done exactly the way she likes it. | 任何事情都必须按照她的喜好办 |
[05:27] | Yes, well, Daphne, no one hates a bossy fuss-budget more than I do, | 是啊 Daphne 我最讨厌专横的挑刺狂 |
[05:31] | but, Daphne– Askew, askew! Don’t you see? | 但是 Daphne 斜着放 斜着放 懂不 |
[05:36] | But rules are there for a reason. | 但是规则存在即为合理 |
[05:39] | I was obviously at fault for not | 很显然我错在没有 |
[05:41] | getting approval before I hung it up there. | 得到批准前就把它挂起来了 |
[05:43] | I did notice a sign in the lobby about some | 我在大厅看到了一则通知说是 |
[05:45] | condo board meeting tonight | 今晚有公寓居民委员会议 |
[05:47] | if you want to present your case. | 你可以去陈述你的案情 |
[05:48] | Oh, perfect. We live in a democratic system, | 太好了 我们生活在民主制度中 |
[05:50] | and I will work within it. | 我会按规矩办事 |
[05:51] | I’m sure I can persuade them with my charm and eloquence. | 以我的魅力与口才一定可以说服他们 |
[05:54] | I don’t know. Those people can be very difficult. | 我可不确定 那些人非常难搞的 |
[05:56] | Oh, pish-tosh. | 得了吧 |
[05:57] | It’s not as though I’ll be addressing the Supreme Court. | 又不是让我在最高法院演讲 |
[05:59] | I’ll simply be talking to the board. | 我只需简单地和委员会谈谈 |
[06:01] | Well, they will be by the time he gets through. | 他一谈完委员会也快成最高院了 |
[06:08] | After careful consideration of the bids from a number of gardeners, | 在仔细考虑过多位园丁的投标后 |
[06:13] | we have decided to go with Jordan landscaping. | 我们决定采用Jordan的园艺方案 |
[06:18] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[06:19] | I’m not too late, am I? I was hoping to make a statement. | 我没来得太晚吧 我想做个声明 |
[06:22] | Me too. No, they’ll be getting to new business soon, fortunately. | 我也是 没有 他们就要开始解决新问题了 |
[06:25] | Good, good. I have a matter of some import to discuss. | 很好 很好 我有件重要事要讨论 |
[06:29] | Well, then you should go before me. | 那你应该在我之前发言 |
[06:31] | Oh, thank you. Why are you here? | 哦 谢谢 你为什么来这儿 |
[06:33] | I’m going to ask them | 我想让他们 |
[06:33] | to make the ramp outside the building less steep, | 把大楼外的残疾人坡道建缓一点 |
[06:35] | so I don’t keep rolling into traffic. | 免得我一直冲到马路中间 |
[06:39] | How about you? | 那你呢 |
[06:40] | Oh, well… | 哦 那个 |
[06:42] | Perhaps you should go first. | 也许你应该先发言 |
[06:45] | Is that Frasier Crane talking while I’m talking? | 是Frasier Crane吗 在我讲话的时候唧唧歪歪 |
[06:50] | Well, yes. I’m sorry, Ms. Langer. | 是的 我很抱歉 Langer女士 |
[06:53] | I was just inquiring as to whether I was | 我只是在询问是不是 |
[06:54] | too late to raise some new business. | 来太晚没法提新问题了 |
[06:56] | Well, we were just about to get to that. | 我们正要进行到那一步 |
[06:58] | Why don’t you go ahead? | 为什么不由你来起头呢 |
[07:00] | I’ll be quick. | 我很快的 |
[07:02] | Earlier today, | 今天早些时候 |
[07:03] | I installed a new doorknocker without your permission. | 我装了一个新门环但没有得到您的批准 |
[07:06] | Now, I’d like to say in my defense that | 现在我为自己辩护的是 |
[07:08] | my overeagerness was not out of disrespect | 我的急不可耐并不是出于不敬 |
[07:11] | but rather enthusiasm for an object which, | 而是对一件物品的热情 |
[07:12] | I’m sure you will agree, is really quite beautiful. | 我相信你们也会认同它是非常漂亮 |
[07:15] | I understand the rule exists to prohibit people | 我明白这条规定是为了防止人们 |
[07:17] | from putting eyesores in public places, | 破坏公共场合的美观 |
[07:19] | but I ask you, should it apply to something as beautiful as this? | 但我想问 它适用于如此美丽的物品吗 |
[07:23] | Here, if you will. Please. | 来 给 请看一下 |
[07:24] | Something, which serves only to elevate our spirits. | 一件只会振奋精神的物品 |
[07:28] | Let’s just say that someone passes by my door, sees the knocker, | 比如说有人路经我的门 看到了门环 |
[07:31] | and suddenly feels just a little bit better, | 突然心情就好了很多 |
[07:34] | without even knowing why. | 无缘无故的 |
[07:35] | That same person passes a perfect stranger and smiles, | 这个人和一个陌生人擦肩而过 面露微笑 |
[07:39] | who in turn reaches down, | 作为回报 陌生人弯下腰 |
[07:41] | picks up, perhaps, a piece of trash, | 也许拾起一个垃圾 |
[07:43] | plants a garden, | 种下一片花园 |
[07:44] | volunteers at a soup kitchen. | 在救济站做志愿者 |
[07:48] | Like little ripples on a still pond, | 就像平静池塘中泛起的涟漪 |
[07:50] | the happiness spreads. | 幸福就这样传播开来 |
[07:52] | What I’m asking to do is | 我想说的就是 |
[07:54] | think of this not simply as an ornament, | 不要把它简单地想成一件装饰物 |
[07:57] | but rather an opportunity. | 而是一个机遇 |
[08:00] | Dare I say it, | 我敢说 |
[08:01] | knocking on a door of a new, more civilized world. | 是一个通往更加文明的全新世界的机遇 |
[08:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[08:09] | – Allow us just a moment. – Of course. | – 给我们一点时间 – 当然 |
[08:13] | Request denied. | 要求否决 |
[08:15] | You must remove the knocker within 24 hours, | 你必须在24小时内将门环拆除 |
[08:19] | despite the consequences to world peace. | 不管这将对世界和平造成何种后果 |
[08:22] | Yes, well, I appreciate your– | 好吧 我很感激您 |
[08:24] | Are you still talking? | 你还在讲话吗 |
[08:27] | Your request is denied! Sit down! | 你的要求被否决了 坐下 |
[08:29] | Yes, but there’s been no discussion. | 但是还没有讨论过啊 |
[08:31] | It hasn’t even been opened up to the floor. | 还没有让大家自由发言啊 |
[08:33] | I will entertain suggestions from the floor | 我很乐意接受大家的建议 |
[08:34] | if anyone has any idea how to shut this man up! | 如果谁有办法让这个男人闭嘴 |
[08:38] | You know, I came down here expecting | 知道么 我来这里本来是期待 |
[08:40] | a fair hearing in the democratic tradition. | 一场符合民主传统的公正听证会 |
[08:41] | But I see now that you are a tyrant, | 但现在我看清了你就是一个暴君 |
[08:44] | concerned more with the exercise of power than with justice. | 重视行使权力多于维护正义 |
[08:47] | Well, fine, I will leave now, | 没关系 我现在就离开 |
[08:49] | taking solace in the certain knowledge that, in time, | 还好真理安慰我 迟早 |
[08:51] | you, Ms. Langer, | 你 Langer女士 |
[08:52] | will join all tyrants on the ash heap of history! | 会像所有暴君那样成为历史的炮灰 |
[09:02] | I’m not here. | 我不在这儿 |
[09:05] | Pardon me. | 对不起 |
[09:06] | Oh, dear. I’ll just get those later. | 哎呀 我回头再拿吧 |
[09:46] | Dr. Crane. | Crane医生 |
[09:48] | – Yes. Who’s there? – A friend. | – 是的 谁在那儿 – 一位朋友 |
[09:51] | Keep your distance. | 站那儿别动 |
[09:53] | – Well, why can’t I see you? – That’s not important right now. | – 为啥我不能知道你是谁 – 那不重要 |
[09:56] | What’s important is that you were not afraid to go up against… | 重要的是昨晚你毫不畏惧 挺身反抗 |
[10:00] | …Ms. Langer last night | Langer女士 |
[10:03] | – Without much success. – More than you know. | – 但没怎么成功 – 超乎你的想象 |
[10:06] | Most people in the building are afraid of her. | 这楼里的多数人都怕她 |
[10:08] | There is a group of us who fight her, though, | 但我们有一些人奋起反抗 |
[10:11] | a small, but determined band of resisters. | 人数不多但意志坚定 |
[10:15] | You know the new doormat by the service elevator? | 你知道货梯旁的新门垫吗 |
[10:19] | We did that. | 是我们放的 |
[10:21] | It’s very nice. | 那不错啊 |
[10:23] | We would like you to be our candidate | 我们希望你作为候选人 |
[10:26] | and go up against her in the upcoming elections. | 在接下来的主席竞选中与她对抗 |
[10:29] | I’m very flattered, but you see I have a great many demands– | 我受宠若惊 但我有很多事务 |
[10:31] | You are our only chance, Dr. Crane. | 你是我们唯一的机会了 Crane医生 |
[10:33] | And she must be defeated. She is evil. | 她必须被打倒 她是邪恶的化身 |
[10:36] | Nichols, in 1704, was two days late with his condo fee, | 住1704室的Nichols晚交了两天管理费 |
[10:41] | and she lowered the water pressure in his shower. | 她就调低了他的浴室水压 |
[10:44] | Eventually, he died. | 最终 他去世了 |
[10:47] | From bad water pressure? | 因为水压不足 |
[10:49] | No, I think it was a hunting accident. | 不 我想应该是一场枪击意外 |
[10:53] | But he spent his last months on this earth | 但是在他生命的最后几个月里 |
[10:55] | unable to get all the conditioner out of his hair. | 都无法将残留在头发当中的护发素洗干净 |
[11:00] | Only you possess the charisma and courage to defeat her. | 只有你拥有打败她的魅力与勇气 |
[11:04] | Well, that may be, but– | 那么说也对 |
[11:06] | I am not asking you to decide right now. | 我不是要求你现在就决定 |
[11:10] | I just want you to say you’ll think about it. | 我只是希望你答应会考虑一下 |
[11:13] | All right. | 好吧 |
[11:15] | But why can’t I see who you are? | 但为什么我不能看到你是谁 |
[11:17] | Because I’m remodeling my bathroom. | 因为我在翻修浴室 |
[11:24] | If she found out I was talking to you, | 要是被她发现我和你说话 |
[11:26] | she would never approve my bidet. | 她永远也不会批准我的坐浴盆的 |
[11:30] | Just think of me as “Mr. X.” | 就把我当成”X先生”吧 |
[11:42] | That would work better without the vanity plates, Dr. Dorfman. | 定制车牌出卖了你 Dorfman先生 |
[11:51] | – Frasier, wait. – Oh, hello, Niles. | – Frasier 等等 – 你好啊 Niles |
[11:54] | You know, Niles, the most extraordinary thing | 知道吗 Niles 天字号怪事 |
[11:55] | just happened to me down at the garage. | 刚让我在车库里撞上了 |
[11:56] | – Excuse me. Is Dad home now? – Yes, as far as I know. | – 抱歉 老爸在家吗 – 据我所知在的 |
[12:00] | – Oh, I was afraid of that. – Why? Is something wrong? | – 哦 就怕这样 – 怎么了 出事了吗 |
[12:02] | Oh, well, last night I invited Dad to | 昨晚我邀请老爸 |
[12:05] | use my apartment for a quiet, romantic dinner with Sherry | 在我家和Sherry共进一顿安静浪漫的晚餐 |
[12:08] | while I attended La Traviata. | 而我去看歌剧<茶花女> |
[12:09] | Well, the production was just dreadful. | 制作极其糟糕 |
[12:11] | In “Opoir Selor Oui”, | <也许他是我渴望见到的人>那首咏叹调 |
[12:12] | the soprano couldn’t hit the E flat above high C to save her life! | 那个女高音连高音降E都唱不上去 |
[12:16] | So I got so fed up, I stormed out, | 我非常不满 夺门而出 |
[12:18] | drove home, entered my apartment, | 开车回家 走进公寓 |
[12:19] | and when I saw what Dad and sherry were doing there, | 当我看清老爸和Sherry在干嘛 |
[12:21] | I hit the note myself. | 我自己把高音唱上去了 |
[12:25] | – You mean they were…? – They were. | – 你是说他们在 – 是啊 |
[12:29] | What did you do? | 你怎么办了 |
[12:31] | Pulled up a chaise longue and took out my opera glasses. | 拖来躺椅掩护 掏出看歌剧的望远镜 |
[12:32] | What do you think I did? | 你想到哪儿去了 |
[12:35] | I slammed the door and ran away. | 我关上门逃走了 |
[12:36] | I’ve never been so embarrassed. I don’t think I can face him now. | 从没这么尴尬过 我想我无法面对他了 |
[12:39] | Oh, Niles, you simply have to diffuse the entire subject… | 哦 Niles 你只需要转移话题 |
[12:42] | …with a simple adult conversation. | 一个简单的成人间的对话就能搞定 |
[12:45] | I don’t wanna recreate | 我可不想重现 |
[12:45] | what happened to Maris and me after the cabin incident, | Maris和我在船舱意外后的情形 |
[12:47] | when I walked in on her taking a shower. | 我走进去时撞见她在洗澡 |
[12:49] | Oh, God. Months of avoidance and awkwardness. | 哦 老天爷啊 数月的回避与尴尬 |
[12:54] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[12:56] | You saw my Maris completely naked? | 你看过我家Maris全裸 |
[12:59] | Oh, don’t fret, Niles. | 别担心 Niles |
[13:00] | It was nothing more than a fleeting glance in a very steamy bathroom. | 只不过是在蒸汽缭绕的浴室中匆匆一瞥 |
[13:04] | More like glimpsing a birch sapling through a thick fog. | 更像是透过浓雾瞄到一棵桦树树苗 |
[13:09] | Life is so unfair. | 生命是如此不公 |
[13:11] | You get a vision of my Maris, | 你看到Maris的朦胧身姿 |
[13:12] | I get a big eyeful of Dad. | 我却撞到老爸的坦诚相见 |
[13:16] | Well, I’d say we hit about the same level on the “Yikes” Meter. | 我倒觉得我俩喊的”啊”能到同一个音高 |
[13:21] | Oh, Roz, you’re here. | 哦 Roz 你已经到了啊 |
[13:23] | Is that your idea of an apology | 这就是你道歉的方式吗 |
[13:24] | for making me work on a Saturday and then getting here late? | 让我在周六加班自己却迟到 |
[13:27] | I was detained. | 我有事耽搁了 |
[13:30] | Roz, the most extraordinary thing happened. | Roz 发生了件特诡异的事 |
[13:32] | I was down at the parking garage. | 刚才我在车库 |
[13:33] | Suddenly, I was blinded by a set of headlights. | 突然间 我被一组车灯晃得看不清东西 |
[13:36] | A mysterious man crept from the shadows | 一个神秘的男人缓缓地从阴影中走出 |
[13:39] | and told me that I should run for condo board president. | 告诉我我应该去竞选公寓委员会主席 |
[13:43] | You’ve been at your wine club, haven’t you? | 你之前在葡萄酒俱乐部里喝了吧 |
[13:47] | No. This really happened. | 不 这是真人真事 |
[13:49] | Surely, you’re not actually thinking of running. | 当然了 你不是当真要去竞选吧 |
[13:51] | You’ve never held an elected office in your life. | 你这辈子就没担任过任何民选职务 |
[13:54] | You’re forgetting? I served two terms back in high school | 你忘啦 我高中就担任过两期 |
[13:57] | as Grand Panjandrum of the Vocabulary Club. | 词汇俱乐部的大首领 |
[14:01] | Listen, Frasier, this job is a nightmare. | 听着 Frasier 这活儿就是场噩梦 |
[14:05] | Trust me, I know. | 相信我 我了解的 |
[14:05] | Like, if somebody wants a garbage disposal, | 比如有人想要一个垃圾处理器 |
[14:08] | they’ll bug you day and night. | 他们会日夜不停地烦你 |
[14:10] | They’ll leave kitchen scraps in your mailbox | 他们会把厨余塞进你的信箱里 |
[14:12] | until they get what they want. | 直到他们如愿 |
[14:14] | You’ve served on a condo board? | 你在公寓委员会里工作过 |
[14:16] | No, but I have a brand-new garbage disposal. | 没有 但我有了个全新的垃圾处理器 |
[14:21] | – Hello, all. – Daphne. | – 大家好 – Daphne |
[14:23] | – Let me help you with those. – Oh, thanks. | – 让我来帮你拿 – 哦 谢谢 |
[14:26] | I’ve had to lug these things five blocks. | 我拖着这堆东西走了5个街区 |
[14:28] | This morning, Mrs. Langer gave me one of those “No-no” Slips | 今早 Langer夫人给了我一张否决条 |
[14:31] | for parking in the same vacant space | 就因为我车停在了一块空地上 |
[14:33] | I’ve been using for years. | 但我一直停在那儿啊 |
[14:34] | God, I’m sorry, Daphne. I’m afraid this is my fault. | 老天 抱歉 Daphne 恐怕这都是我的错 |
[14:37] | Ms. Langer is simply retaliating against me. | Langer女士只是在报复我 |
[14:39] | You see, last night, I rather humiliated her | 昨晚 我狠狠羞辱了她 |
[14:41] | in a dazzling display of rhetoric. | 而且说辞精彩绝伦 |
[14:45] | I heard you spilled your briefcase all over the floor. | 我听见你公文包里的东西洒了一地 |
[14:48] | You know, this building has a grapevine | 这楼里枝繁叶茂的八卦网(葡萄藤) |
[14:50] | Ernest and Julio Gallo would envy! | 酿酒大师都羡慕嫉妒恨 |
[14:53] | Well, you know, perhaps I should run against Ms. Langer. | 或许我应该同Langer女士竞选 |
[14:56] | God knows she’s ripe for a good comeuppance. | 老天有眼她是时候接受报应了 |
[14:59] | Oh, I know exactly what you mean, Dr. Crane. | 我完全明白你的意思 Crane医生 |
[15:01] | I was standing behind her in the elevator the other day, | 几天前在电梯里我站在她身后 |
[15:04] | looking at the back of her head, and I thought: | 看着她的后脑勺 心想 |
[15:06] | “You know, several stout whacks with a tire iron | “用块轮胎铁结结实实地来几下” |
[15:09] | and this building will be a much happier place.” | “这座大楼将是个更快乐的地方” |
[15:13] | I’ll just get these bags off to the kitchen. | 我把这些袋子放进厨房 |
[15:16] | Frasier, this Langer woman sounds if she wields considerable power. | Frasier 这个叫Langer的女人听起来大权在握啊 |
[15:20] | What if you run against her and lose? | 要是你竞选输给她怎么办 |
[15:21] | I’m with Niles. Let somebody else do it. | 我同意Niles 让别人做去吧 |
[15:23] | What an appalling expression of apathy! | 这是多么骇人的冷漠 |
[15:25] | What kind of a world do you think this would be | 如果其他人都跟你俩一个想法 |
[15:27] | if everyone thought the way you two do? | 这个世界将会变成什么样子 |
[15:28] | Everyone does think the way we do. | 其他人就是跟我们一个想法 |
[15:29] | And look at the kind of world it is! | 看看这世界都变成什么样了 |
[15:31] | Corruption in high places. | 腐败在高层中产生啊 |
[15:32] | An electorate unconcerned with real issues | 选民不关心现实的问题 |
[15:34] | because they’re too consumed with their own selfish pleasures. | 因为他们被自我享乐吞噬了 |
[15:37] | Is this eclair spoken for? | 这酥饼有人吃吗 |
[15:38] | It’s mine. Put it back! | 我的 放回去 |
[15:40] | Roz, don’t you see? | Roz 你不明白吗 |
[15:42] | The point is, if you’re not willing to get involved, | 关键是 如果你不愿意参与其中 |
[15:44] | then you have no right to grumble when things don’t go your way. | 等你遇到问题的时候你也无权去抱怨 |
[15:48] | Look at this. | 看看这个 |
[15:49] | I got two slips for not taking Eddie on the freight elevator. | 我收到了俩否决条 因为没带Eddie坐货梯 |
[15:51] | It’s ridiculous. | 太荒谬了 |
[15:53] | Everybody uses the main elevator. | 谁都用主电梯 |
[15:55] | Mrs. Tornquist has her dog, Fluffy, in there all the time. | Tornquist夫人就一直就让她的狗Fluffy用 |
[15:58] | Well, that’s it. | 是可忍孰不可忍 |
[16:00] | I am running for condo board president. | 我要竞选公寓委员会主席 |
[16:02] | A time comes in every man’s life | 每个男人生命中终有这一刻 |
[16:03] | when he mustmeet face to face a challenge, | 他必须直面挑战 |
[16:06] | rather than skitter away like a coward. | 而不是懦夫般掩面而逃 |
[16:08] | Well, I’m proud of you, son. That’s the way a Crane talks. | 我引你为傲 儿子 这才像Crane家人说的话 |
[16:11] | Oh, Dad, nice seeing you. I mean, not– | 老爸 很高兴见到你 不是上次 |
[16:29] | Okay, Eddie. Now. | 好了 Eddie 行动 |
[16:40] | Good boy, Eddie. Now, go make dinner. | 好样的 Eddie 现在去做晚餐吧 |
[16:46] | It’s just a little joke Eddie and I have been working on. | 只是我和Eddie练习的一个小玩笑 |
[16:51] | It’s too bad. It explained so much. | 真可惜 一眼就看出来了 |
[16:57] | – What is this, another one? – Oh, yes. | – 这什么 又一张 – 哦 是啊 |
[17:00] | Seems your father got it last night. | 看来是昨晚你爸拿到的 |
[17:02] | I guess he’s just refusing to take Eddie in the freight elevator. | 我猜他是不肯带Eddie坐货梯 |
[17:05] | Of course, all that’ll be different once you’re elected. | 当然了 等你当选就不会这样了 |
[17:08] | Yes, but we don’t wanna jinx it. But I must say, | 是啊 虽然不想说破 但我必须说 |
[17:09] | I think my chances are very good | 我认为我的机会大大滴 |
[17:11] | after this missive I found this morning on my windshield. | 今早我在挡风玻璃上发现了这封信函 |
[17:15] | It’s from the resistance. | 是出自居民之手 |
[17:18] | “Dear Dr. Crane.” | “亲爱的Crane医生” |
[17:19] | We have polled the building, the election is yours. | “我们做了民意调查 这次选举您势在必得” |
[17:22] | Good work.” Signed, “Anonymous.” | “做得好” 署名 “匿名者” |
[17:26] | Oh, wouldn’t this be more anonymous if it didn’t say: | 如果想保持匿名不是不该写 |
[17:28] | “From the desk of Dr. William M. Dorfman”? | “William M. Dorfman敬上”吗 |
[17:32] | Yes. Well, now you see why they need me. | 是啊 现在你知道为什么他们需要我了 |
[17:36] | My comfortable lead aside, | 虽说现在遥遥领先 |
[17:37] | I still wish I had a punchier opening | 我想有个更有力的开篇 |
[17:39] | for the speech I wrote this morning. | 引领我今早写的发言稿 |
[17:41] | Well, I’m running out of time. | 我没时间了 |
[17:44] | Unless… | 除非 |
[17:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:48] | I think Ms. Langer may have given me | 我想Langer女士已经给了我 |
[17:49] | the very ammunition I need for my opening salvo. | 连珠炮式开场白所需的炮弹 |
[17:52] | We’ll just see how the voters feel about a woman who | 就等着选民们如何鄙视这个女人吧 |
[17:55] | tries to persecute a disabled ex-policeman and his loyal little dog. | 竟然迫害残疾的退休警察和他忠诚的小狗 |
[17:59] | You know, it’ll be nice to live in a building | 到时候住在这里一定很美好 |
[18:01] | where people can hang whatever they damn well please on their door. | 爱在门上挂什么就挂什么 |
[18:04] | Of course. Well, pending my approval. | 当然了 待我批准 |
[18:09] | – Is he gone? – Yes. | – 他走了吗 – 是的 |
[18:11] | – You’re not avoiding him, are you? – Well, yeah, kind of. | – 你不是在躲着他吧 – 那个 算是吧 |
[18:14] | I mean, it’s pretty embarrassing | 昨晚在热水浴池 |
[18:15] | about getting caught last night in that hot tub. | 被抓到还是挺尴尬的 |
[18:17] | I mean, the whole building’s talking about it. | 整楼的人都在讨论这事儿 |
[18:19] | – What happened? – You haven’t heard? | – 发生什么了 – 你没听说 |
[18:21] | No. | 没有 |
[18:23] | – Oh, well, never mind. – No, no, no. What? | – 当我没说 – 不行 怎么了 |
[18:27] | Well, after dinner last night, my hip was getting kind of stiff, | 昨天晚饭后 我的屁股有些酸痛 |
[18:30] | so I went down to the hot tub. | 所以我下楼去泡澡 |
[18:32] | You know how it is when you kick on the jets | 你知道打开按摩水柱的话 |
[18:34] | and your trunks fill up like a hot-air balloon. | 泳裤会像热气球似的胀起来 |
[18:36] | No, but go on. | 不知道 请继续 |
[18:37] | Well, since nobody’s around, | 因为周围没人 |
[18:39] | so I just slipped out of them and tossed them on the deck. | 我就把泳裤脱了 扔在地上 |
[18:42] | – You mean, you were–? – Yeah, just floating free. | – 你是说 当时 – 是啊 自由地漂浮着 |
[18:45] | So I’m just sitting there, minding my own business, you know, | 我就坐在里面 专心地泡着 |
[18:47] | and letting the bubbles do their work, | 让泡泡发挥它们的功力 |
[18:49] | and suddenly, old lady Langer shows up. | 突然之间 Langer那个老妇人出现了 |
[18:51] | She sees my trunks | 她看见了我的泳裤 |
[18:52] | and she writes me out a “No-no” Slip right there and then. | 然后当场就给我开了张否决条 |
[18:55] | You mean the “No-no” Slip was for being naked in the hot tub? | 那张否决条是因为你在浴池里光着身子 |
[18:58] | Yeah. | 对啊 |
[19:00] | Oh, I told Dr. Crane | 我告诉Crane医生 |
[19:02] | it was because you took Eddie in the elevator. | 是因为你带Eddie坐了电梯 |
[19:04] | Oh, dear. I’ve got to get down to that condo meeting. | 天呐 我得赶紧去那个公寓会议 |
[19:07] | Why? | 为啥 |
[19:08] | I don’t know what’s going on down there, | 不知道现在那边事态如何 |
[19:10] | but suddenly I have a very queasy feeling. | 但突然间我有种极其不安(恶心)的感觉 |
[19:13] | Just what Ms. Langer said when she tossed me my trunks. | Langer夫人扔我泳裤的时候也这么说呢 |
[19:19] | And so you can vote for me, | 你们可以投票选我 |
[19:22] | a person who has worked this past year | 一个辛劳了一年 |
[19:25] | to keep this building running smoothly, | 使这座大楼顺利运转的人 |
[19:28] | or you can turn the building over to a man | 或者你们可以把这座大楼交给这个男人 |
[19:31] | who can scarcely keep his own family under control. | 他连自己的家庭成员都管不了 |
[19:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[19:43] | Fellow condo owners, | 各位公寓业主 |
[19:45] | I am sorry my opponent has chosen to be vindictive | 很抱遗憾我的对手选择了报复 |
[19:48] | about my family, | 我的家人 |
[19:49] | but that is merely characteristic of her behavior | 但这只是在她整个任职期间的 |
[19:51] | during her entire term in office. | 典型行为特征 |
[19:55] | How else would one explain this? | 要不然怎么解释这个 |
[19:58] | This citation my father received last night | 我父亲昨晚收到的这份表彰 |
[20:00] | is a perfect example of the pettiness of which this woman is capable. | 充分说明了 这个女人的心胸狭窄 |
[20:03] | We’re all aware of your father’s behavior last night. | 我们都知道你父亲昨晚的行为 |
[20:06] | I’m surprised you’re not too ashamed to bring it up. | 我很惊讶你还好意思提起来 |
[20:08] | Ashamed? Not at all. | 没什么不好意思的 |
[20:11] | I defend his behavior! | 我为他的行为进行辩护 |
[20:13] | So he had his little friend out where he shouldn’t be. | 他就让他的小伙伴在不该出现的地方露脸了 |
[20:15] | So what? He’s been doing it for years. | 那又怎样 他这么做多少年了 |
[20:19] | You approve of his behavior? | 你赞成他的行为 |
[20:22] | Approve? I applaud it. | 赞成 我为此而喝彩 |
[20:24] | Have you no compassion? | 你都没有一点同情心吗 |
[20:27] | My father is getting older. | 我父亲年纪愈老 |
[20:29] | He hasn’t many pleasures left in life. | 生命中的乐趣已所剩不多了 |
[20:33] | I can’t tell you the hours of joy | 我无法告诉你们有多少欢乐 |
[20:35] | that that little guy has brought him. | 是那个小家伙带给他的 |
[20:39] | And not just him. | 不只是他 |
[20:41] | Who among us can’t help but | 我们当中谁不会 |
[20:43] | break into a smile upon seeing the little fella? | 在看见这小家伙的时候绽放出笑容 |
[20:47] | Oh, I know, you know, sometimes it is irksome when his | 我也知道 有时你们也会大为火光 |
[20:50] | little Eddie appears at inopportune moments, but– | 他的小Eddie出现的不是时候 但是 |
[20:52] | He’s named it “Eddie”? | 他还叫它”Eddie” |
[20:54] | Well, not exactly, of course, a name that I might have chosen. | 当然了 我是不会选这样的名字的 |
[20:56] | I might have gone with something a bit more, | 我可能会选一个更加 |
[20:58] | I don’t know, whimsical, like– Oh, “Puck.” | 天马行空一点的 比如说 哦 “Puck(粗短)” |
[21:02] | You know, the frolicsome sprite | 恶作剧的小妖精 |
[21:04] | from Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream. | 出自莎士比亚的<仲夏夜之梦> |
[21:06] | Oh, don’t look so shocked. | 哦 别看起来那么惊讶 |
[21:08] | Whom does it really harm if he unleashes Eddie once in a while? | 他时不时地放纵一下Eddie能伤到谁呀 |
[21:12] | Come on! It’s not as though he’s alone in such behavior. | 拜托 像这样的又不是他一个人 |
[21:14] | Mrs. Tornquist, | Tornquist夫人 |
[21:15] | I’ve seen you do the same thing many times with your Fluffy. | 我见你和你的Fluffy(毛茸茸)这样做过很多次 |
[21:18] | You know, if you ask me, | 要是问我的话 |
[21:19] | not only is his behavior harmless, it’s laudable. | 他的行为不仅无害 而且值得称赞 |
[21:22] | Why, you should see | 你们真该看看 |
[21:24] | the looks on the faces of the school children | 他把Eddie带到操场上时 |
[21:26] | when he takes Eddie out by the playground. | 那些小学生们脸上的表情 |
[21:32] | What, what, what? | 咋了 咋了 |
[21:41] | On the other hand, | 另一方面来说 |
[21:44] | we all need rules. | 我们都需要规定 |
[21:45] | Go, go, go! | 快走 快走 |
[21:51] | Sorry about the knocker. | 门环的事很抱歉 |