时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:09] | My 8-year-old son is visiting me this week, | 我8岁的儿子这周会来看我 |
[00:11] | and he asked specifically | 他特别地问我 |
[00:13] | if I could arrange a tour of the Microsoft complex. | 能否安排一趟微软大楼之旅 |
[00:16] | I was wondering what your policy is on– | 不知道您那边的政策 |
[00:18] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 很遗憾听到您这么说 |
[00:20] | You know, I don’t often trade on my celebrity status, | 我不经常利用自己的名人地位 |
[00:23] | but does the name Frasier Crane mean anything to you? | 但您对Frasier Crane这个名字有印象吗 |
[00:27] | I’m sorry to hear that. | 很遗憾听到您这么说 |
[00:30] | Well, you know, it’s entirely possible | 要知道 有一天您的亲戚 |
[00:32] | that one day a relative of yours may wish to tour my workplace– | 也很有可能想参观我的工作场所 |
[00:36] | It’s a radio station. | 是个广播电台 |
[00:38] | Oh, forget it! | 当我没说 |
[00:40] | –even been close, that would be one thing. | 要是接近 还说得过去 |
[00:42] | But I beat that tag by a mile. | 但我已经跑过垒1英里了 |
[00:44] | – A mile. – Calm down, slugger. It’s all right. | – 1英里啊 – 冷静点儿 强击手 没关系的 |
[00:46] | A mile! | 1英里啊 |
[00:47] | I take it you lost the game. | 看来你们输掉了比赛 |
[00:48] | No, we won the game, | 不 我们赢了 |
[00:49] | but Roz got kicked out for arguing with the ump. | 但是Roz因为与裁判员争执被踢出了赛场 |
[00:51] | She kicked dirt on his shoes, chest-butted him, | 她往人家鞋子上踢土 用头撞人家胸 |
[00:54] | almost took a bite out of his finger | 在人家对她竖中指的时候 |
[00:55] | when he stuck it in her face. | 差点儿没咬下一截来 |
[00:57] | You can’t coach that kind of thing, can you? | 这种事可是教不来的 |
[01:00] | All right, there’s a guy on second, | 是这样 二垒有个家伙 |
[01:02] | one guy’s out, I drive one to the gap. | 有一个家伙出局了 我把另一个逼到了缺口区 |
[01:05] | The throw to the cut-off man is late, our guy’s safe at home, | 给截传的球传晚了 我们安全 |
[01:07] | I try to stretch it to a double. | 我想来个双杀 |
[01:09] | I make a beautiful hook slide right under the tag. | 正好返垒的时候做了漂亮的钩脚滑垒 |
[01:11] | How can I be out? | 怎么会轮到我出局 |
[01:12] | I’m still trying to understand | 我还在琢磨 |
[01:13] | why you drove to the Gap in the middle of the game. | 你为什么要在比赛中间开车去盖普 |
[01:19] | Look, I’m gonna go work on the line-up for Saturday’s game. | 听着 我得去准备周日比赛的球员阵容了 |
[01:21] | – You know, I love being in charge. – Oh, can I play second base? | – 你们知道我有多爱大权在握 – 我能打二垒吗 |
[01:24] | No, sorry. Liz Budner’s playing second. | 抱歉 Liz Budner打二垒 |
[01:26] | Liz Budner? Why? | Liz Budner 为什么 |
[01:28] | What can she do that I can’t? | 她有什么我做不了的 |
[01:29] | It’s what she will do that you won’t. | 是人家做了什么你不愿意的 |
[01:33] | Oh, Roz. Listen, didn’t you used to date some executive at Microsoft? | Roz 你不是交往过一个在微软工作的主管吗 |
[01:40] | Scott Blankman Scott Blankman. | |
[01:42] | Talk about your messy break-ups. | 没有比那更麻烦的分手了 |
[01:44] | Even after I dumped the guy, he kept calling me. | 我甩了那家伙之后 他还不停打给我 |
[01:46] | At first, he’d make excuses: | 一开始 他还找些借口 |
[01:48] | “Sorry, I hit the wrong button on my speed dial.” | “对不起 我按错了快速拨号的按钮” |
[01:50] | Then he just gave up the pretense | 后来他干脆不编了 |
[01:51] | and there’d be sobbing on the other end of the line. | 只在电话那头啜泣 |
[01:53] | Oh, God. | 老天爷 |
[01:54] | I finally said, “Scott, I never, ever want to talk to you again.” | 我最后说”Scott 我永远也不想再和你说话了” |
[01:58] | – Why do you ask? – I’d like you give him a call. | – 你干嘛问 – 我想让你给他打个电话 |
[02:01] | – What? – Well, I… Frederick’s coming to visit me this week. | – 啥 – 这周Frederick要来看我 |
[02:04] | The only thing he asked for was a tour of Microsoft. | 他唯一要求的就是一趟微软之旅 |
[02:06] | I sort of already, well, promised that I could arrange it. | 我算是 答应帮他安排了 |
[02:09] | Frasier, you’re asking me to call a man | Frasier 你让我打电话的这个男人 |
[02:12] | who camped outside my apartment building | 曾经在我公寓外面安营扎寨 |
[02:14] | and held a big sign up that said: | 还举着个大牌子上面写着 |
[02:15] | “Roz Doyle is afraid to love.” | “Roz Doyle害怕去爱” |
[02:17] | Okay, I understand. | 好吧 了解了 |
[02:19] | I just thought you’d be more sympathetic, that’s all. | 我只是以为你会更加有同情心而已 |
[02:21] | I can’t. | 我做不到 |
[02:22] | I do recall a story you told me not long ago | 我想起了一个许久前你告诉我的故事 |
[02:26] | about a young girl living in Wisconsin, | 关于一个住在威斯康星州的少女 |
[02:29] | who wanted desperately for her mother | 她十分希望她母亲 |
[02:30] | to drive her to Chicago | 开车载她去芝加哥 |
[02:30] | to see Bobby Sherman open a shopping mall. | 看Bobby Sherman给购物中心剪彩 |
[02:34] | But her mother was just too busy. | 但她母亲实在太忙了 |
[02:36] | So what did that girl do that night? | 当晚那女孩做了什么 |
[02:38] | She cried herself to sleep on her little Bobby Sherman pillow. | 她躺在印着Bobby Sherman的枕头上哭着睡去 |
[02:43] | I hate you. | 我恨你 |
[02:52] | – Niles. – Good morning, Frasier. | – Niles – 早上好 Frasier |
[02:53] | Is Frederick up yet? | Frederick起来了吗 |
[02:54] | En, actually he went out with his grandfather for an early morning walk. | 他和爷爷一大早就出去散步了 |
[02:57] | I went through some of my old albums this morning | 今早我翻了翻一些旧相册 |
[02:59] | and found a few photos of us when we were Frederick’s age. | 找到几张我们还是Frederick这么大时的照片 |
[03:01] | – Oh, Lord. – Thought he might find them amusing. | – 老天爷 – 他可能会觉得很有趣 |
[03:03] | Oh, here. There we are, all dressed up, | 看看 我们整装待发 |
[03:06] | ready for our first Cub Scout hike. | 准备进行首次幼童军远足 |
[03:08] | And last. | 也是最后一次 |
[03:09] | Yes, well, we didn’t exactly endear ourselves to the pack. | 是啊 我们当时可不怎么招大伙儿们喜欢 |
[03:13] | All the other kids had those knapsacks, | 其他孩子都背着他们的旅行背包 |
[03:15] | we showed up with those monogrammed train cases. | 我们却带着印有字母的小旅行箱 |
[03:19] | Niles, refresh my memory. | Niles 帮我回忆下 |
[03:20] | Why are we wearing plastic snouts | 为什么我们戴着塑料长鼻子 |
[03:22] | and a tiny little wading pool around our waists? | 腰上还围着一个小水池 |
[03:24] | Oh, you’ve forgotten. That Halloween we went as the Bay of Pigs. | 你忘啦 那年万圣节我们扮成”猪湾” |
[03:27] | Ah. | 哈 |
[03:29] | As I recall, nobody got it. | 据我回忆 没人能懂 |
[03:31] | I finally had to take to telling that we were Swine Lake. | 我最后只能告诉他们我们是”猪湖” |
[03:35] | They didn’t get that either. | 他们也没懂 |
[03:38] | – That was a long evening. – Yeah. | – 那是一个漫长的夜晚 – 是啊 |
[03:41] | So, what do you have in store for Frederick this visit? | 这次你给Frederick准备了什么行程 |
[03:44] | Well, we’re gonna go whale-watching, the planetarium, | 我们会去看鲸鱼 去天文馆 |
[03:46] | and Roz is helping me arrange a tour of Microsoft. | Roz正在帮我安排一次微软之旅 |
[03:49] | It’s the one thing Freddie specifically requested. | 这次Freddie唯一特殊要求的事情 |
[03:51] | Someone’s making a run for Dad of the Year. | 有人要竞选年度老爸嘛 |
[03:53] | Yes, well, you know how it is. | 是啊 你也知道怎么回事 |
[03:54] | I don’t get to see him as often as I’d like. | 我不能经常见到他 |
[03:56] | Memories of this trip will have to last until the next one. | 这次出行的记忆将持续到下次我见到他 |
[04:00] | Can you blame me for wanting it to be perfect? | 你能因为我希望尽善尽美而责备我吗 |
[04:02] | – Hi, Dad. – Oh, hello, Freddie. | – 嗨 爸爸 – 好啊 Freddie |
[04:04] | Dad, did Grandpa ever tell you the story how he captured | 爸爸 爷爷告诉过你他只用一根警棍 |
[04:07] | four bank robbers with just a nightstick? | 就捕获了四个银行劫匪的故事吗 |
[04:10] | No. He did tell me how he captured two bank robbers | 没有 他确实说过抓两个劫匪的事 |
[04:12] | with just a revolver, | 只用了一把左轮手枪 |
[04:13] | his partner and a SWAT team. | 一位搭档和一支特警队的帮助 |
[04:15] | – They got there later. – Well… | – 他们后来才到的 – 好吧 |
[04:17] | – Hello, Uncle Niles. – Hello, Frederick. | – 你好 Niles叔叔 – 你好 Frederick |
[04:20] | My, aren’t you getting big. | 老天爷 你真是高大了不少 |
[04:22] | I’m the same exact size I was the last time you saw me. | 我和上次你见我一样高 |
[04:26] | Well, your mother’s cooking | 你母亲的烹饪技术 |
[04:27] | will do that for a growing boy. | 对于发育期的男孩就有这样的效果 |
[04:31] | Are we going to Microsoft today? | 我们今天去微软吗 |
[04:32] | Well, actually, Freddie, i thought we’d go by the radio station. | Freddie 我们会路过电台 |
[04:35] | I could show you where I work. | 我可以带你参观一下我工作的地方 |
[04:36] | – That’ll be fun, won’t it? – Yes. | – 会很有趣 对不对 – 对 |
[04:38] | When are we going to Microsoft? | 我们什么时候去微软 |
[04:39] | Well, Saturday. | 那个 周六吧 |
[04:42] | Excellent. | 太好啦 |
[04:43] | Hey, good morning, Dr. Crane. | 嘿 早上好 Crane医生 |
[04:45] | Good morning, Daphne. | 早上好 Daphne |
[04:46] | Hi, Daphne. | 嗨 Daphne |
[04:49] | Hello, Frederick. | 你好啊 Frederick |
[04:50] | Hey, Frederick, tell your dad | 嘿 Frederick 告诉你爸 |
[04:51] | what you saw in the park with Eddie. | 今天你和Eddie在公园看见什么了 |
[04:53] | Hi, Daphne. | 嗨 Daphne |
[04:57] | – Frederick’s my boyfriend. – Oh, really. | – Frederick现在是我的男朋友 – 哦 真的啊 |
[04:59] | I got a present for you. | 我有个礼物要给你 |
[05:01] | Wait here. | 在这儿等着 |
[05:03] | That’s so cute. He’s got a crush on you. | 好可爱 他迷恋上你了 |
[05:05] | Yes, you should see him spent the entire evening | 是啊 你们应该看看他昨天一整晚 |
[05:07] | sitting on Daphne’s lap, watching TV. | 坐在Daphne大腿上看电视的样子 |
[05:11] | Really. | 真的啊 |
[05:14] | And this morning I heard this soft little knocking at my door, | 今早我听见有人轻轻地敲我房门 |
[05:17] | and it was Frederick, | 原来是Frederick |
[05:18] | asking if he could climb into bed with me. | 问我可不可以钻进我的被窝一起睡 |
[05:22] | Really. | 真的哈 |
[05:26] | – It’s for you. – Oh, well, isn’t this lovely. | – 给你的 – 真是可爱 |
[05:29] | Look, here’s Frederick. And here I am. | 看 这是Frederick 我在这儿 |
[05:33] | – And what are we doing? – Getting married. | – 我们在做什么 – 结婚 |
[05:36] | Really. | 是嘛 |
[05:39] | Come on, Frederick, let’s go hang this on the fridge. | 来吧 Frederick 我们把它挂在冰箱上 |
[05:42] | Okay. | 好的 |
[05:44] | Frasier, do you really think it’s healthy for a little boy | Frasier 你真觉得一个小男孩对一个不可能 |
[05:46] | to be so obsessed with a woman he can’t possibly have? | 得到的女人如此迷恋健康吗 |
[05:49] | Niles, have you actually sunk so low as to be jealous of him? | Niles 你真的都掉价到妒忌他了吗 |
[05:53] | No, I’m not jealous. I’m just a bit– | 不 我不是妒忌 只是有点 |
[05:55] | Well, maybe envious. | 嫉妒 |
[05:58] | That’s ridiculous. What have you got to be envious of? | 真是荒唐 你有什么好嫉妒的 |
[06:01] | – Hold on! – Wee! | – 抓紧 – 呜 |
[06:07] | Wee! | 呜 |
[06:16] | And this is the booth where it all happens. | 这里就是奇迹发生的隔间 |
[06:19] | – Very impressive. – Well… | – 气势非凡啊 – 是啊 |
[06:22] | This is the talkback button here, if I want to talk to Roz, | 要是我想和Roz说话 就按这个对讲按钮 |
[06:26] | this is the cough button if I want to mute the mike. | 要是我想让麦克静音 就按这个切断按钮 |
[06:28] | This button here is very special. | 这个按钮很特别 |
[06:29] | It sends a death ray | 可以传送一种致死射线 |
[06:30] | shooting from the phone of any caller who annoys me. | 从那些烦人的听众电话中喷射而出 |
[06:34] | You wish. | 你想得美 |
[06:36] | Yes, I do. | 是啊 |
[06:37] | Well, okay, Roz, what have we done to ourselves today? | 好吧 Roz 我们这是什么情况 |
[06:40] | Well, we went out last night to celebrate our big win. | 昨晚我们出去庆祝我们的大胜利 |
[06:43] | Had a few margaritas. | 喝了几杯玛格丽特 |
[06:45] | Someone started a conga line. | 有人开始跳康加舞 |
[06:46] | I wasn’t gonna get in it. | 我本来没想加入 |
[06:48] | I think Gary, our shortstop, got on the end of the line. | 我想是Gary 我们的游击手 排在了队尾 |
[06:50] | And that man has a butt that | 那男人的屁股 |
[06:52] | makes you wanna reach out with both hands | 让你想要伸出双手 |
[06:54] | and give Freddie a great big Seattle hug. | 给Freddie大大的西雅图拥抱 |
[06:58] | – Good save, Roz. – Thank you. | – 话圆得不错 Roz – 谢谢 |
[06:59] | I don’t believe you’ve met Bulldog. | 想不到还能遇到Bulldog |
[07:01] | Hey, kid. | 嘿 小孩儿 |
[07:02] | Why are you called Bulldog? | 你为什么叫Bulldog |
[07:04] | People just always call me that. | 大家一直这么叫的 |
[07:06] | But why? | 但为什么 |
[07:09] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[07:09] | Well, all right, Bulldog. | 行了 Bulldog |
[07:10] | – Roz and I have a show to prepare for. – No, no. Wait a minute. | – 我和Roz还要准备节目 – 不 不 等一等 |
[07:13] | This is important. | 这挺重要 |
[07:14] | Why do people call me Bulldog? | 为什么人们叫我Bulldog |
[07:16] | There has to be a reason. | 一定有所原因 |
[07:20] | This is gonna drive me nuts. | 真是要把我逼疯了 |
[07:23] | So who’s gonna sub for me in the game on Saturday? | 周六的比赛谁替补我 |
[07:25] | We gotta have a ninth body out there or we forfeit. | 我们必须凑够九个人 否则就不战而败了 |
[07:27] | Oh, right. Er… | 好吧 额 |
[07:28] | How about Mindy Guthrie. | Mindy Guthrie怎么样 |
[07:30] | Eight months pregnant. | 怀孕八个月了 |
[07:32] | July, August, September, October, November, December… | 七月 八月 九月 十月 十一月 十二月 |
[07:39] | Anyway, you better find somebody else. | 总之 你最好找别人 |
[07:41] | And speaking of bad news, Frasier, | 说到坏消息 Fraiser |
[07:42] | I finally got a call from Scott Blankman– | 我终于接到了Scott Blankman的电话 |
[07:44] | Oh, Roz… | 哦 Roz |
[07:45] | Frederick, why don’t you talk with Bulldog for a minute? | Frederick 你先和Bulldog聊一会儿 |
[07:46] | – I have to discuss something with Roz. – Okay. | – 我有事情要和Roz讨论 – 好的 |
[07:49] | Oh, yeah, no problem. | 好 没问题 |
[07:54] | Oh, hey. In a little while I’m gonna bring in my cart. | 嘿 一会儿我要把我的推车推进来 |
[07:57] | – You can hit the gong. – Why? | – 你可以敲锣 – 为什么 |
[08:00] | It’s loud. I make a lot of loud noises in my show. | 很吵 我喜欢在节目里制造噪音 |
[08:03] | – Why? – I don’t know. | – 为什么 – 我不知道 |
[08:06] | Boy, I’m starting to get a headache. | 老天 我开始头痛了 |
[08:08] | If you need a softball player, | 如果你需要一名棒球选手 |
[08:10] | why don’t you use my dad. | 为什么不用我爸爸 |
[08:11] | Oh, yeah, right. | 是 对啊 |
[08:13] | Isn’t he good? | 他不好吗 |
[08:16] | Oh, yeah. Yeah, he’s great. He is the best, you know. | 不 不是 他很棒 他是最棒的 |
[08:20] | I wish he could play, | 我也希望他能上场 |
[08:21] | but I think your dad’s busy Saturday. | 但我想你爸在周六会很忙 |
[08:23] | – He’s taking me to Microsoft. – Yeah, right. | – 他要带我去微软 – 是啊 对 |
[08:26] | Man, I wish he could play, | 我真希望他能上场啊 |
[08:27] | because if he were playing, we’d win for sure. | 如果他上场 我们就稳操胜券了 |
[08:30] | I’m sorry, Frasier. That’s all I can do. | 我很抱歉 Frasier 我已经尽力了 |
[08:33] | Scott quit Microsoft right after we broke up. | Scott和我分手后就离开微软了 |
[08:36] | Well, I don’t look forward to telling Frederick. | 我可不希望告诉Frederick这个消息 |
[08:38] | He’ll be so disappointed. | 他一定会很失望 |
[08:40] | Well, you know, if he wants a tour of a seminary, | 要是他想来个神学院之旅 |
[08:41] | I’ve got an in there now. | 我倒是在那儿有个门路 |
[08:47] | I don’t know. I give up. | 不知道 我放弃 |
[08:49] | Abraham Lincoln. | 林肯 |
[08:50] | What school did you go to? | 你上的哪所学校啊 |
[08:55] | Frederick Frederick… | |
[08:56] | Dad, I don’t wanna go to Microsoft anymore. | 老爸 我不想去微软了 |
[09:00] | You don’t? | 你不想了 |
[09:01] | Oh, hey. Yes, he does. Wait a minute, wait a minute. | 不 他想去 等一等 |
[09:03] | Hey, what kind of boy wouldn’t wanna spend a day at Microsoft? | 哪个男孩子不想在微软过上一整天 |
[09:05] | Stay out of this. Now, listen. | 少搀和 听着 |
[09:07] | Frederick, you know, this is your vacation. | Frederick 这是你的假期 |
[09:10] | You are the boss. Whatever you say goes. | 你是老大 你说了算 |
[09:12] | Great. I wanna see you play in the softball game. | 太好了 我想看你打棒球比赛 |
[09:15] | What? | 什么 |
[09:16] | You could take Roz’s place. | 你可以顶替Roz的位置 |
[09:18] | Well, you know, as much as I’d love to play softball, | 要知道 虽然我很爱打棒球 |
[09:21] | I really don’t think that Bulldog wants me to. | 我真心觉得Bulldog不希望我上场 |
[09:23] | Yes, he does. He said you were the best. | 他希望 他说你是最棒的 |
[09:24] | Right? | 对吧 |
[09:25] | That’s what I said. | 我确实这么说来着 |
[09:28] | Well, thank you, Bulldog. | 谢谢你啊 Bulldog |
[09:31] | So you’ll play? | 那你会上场喽 |
[09:32] | Well, I don’t see how I can refuse. | 我找不到拒绝的理由了 |
[09:34] | Great. I can’t wait to tell Daphne. | 太好啦 我等不及要告诉Daphne |
[09:36] | Yes, well, speaking of Daphne, while you’re waiting for Daphne, | 好吧 说到Daphne 趁着你等她的时候 |
[09:39] | why don’t you go on out, | 不如出去 |
[09:40] | get yourself a candy bar out of the machine. | 在贩卖机上买个棒棒糖吃 |
[09:42] | Mother says candy rots tooth enamel. | 妈妈说糖果会腐蚀牙釉质 |
[09:44] | Yes, well, chew on the side of your mouth. | 甩开腮帮子嚼吧 |
[09:45] | Rot your baby teeth. | 让乳牙好好腐烂一番 |
[09:48] | Bulldog, what the hell do you think you’re doing, | Bulldog 你究竟怎么想的 |
[09:49] | telling him I’m a good softball player? | 告诉他我是个优秀的棒球选手 |
[09:51] | I was trying to be nice. | 我只是表示友善罢了 |
[09:52] | You want me to tell him you’re a big lame-o? | 难道你想让我告诉他你是个大蠢蛋 |
[09:54] | No, I don’t. | 不 我不想 |
[09:55] | Hey, look, I know how tough it is | 嘿 听着 我知道这有多艰难 |
[09:56] | when you’re a kid | 你是个孩子的时候 |
[09:57] | and you find out your dad’s not as great as you thought. | 发现你老爸并没有你想象得伟大 |
[10:00] | Look, I was about Frederick’s age when… | 听着 在我像Frederick这么大的时候 |
[10:05] | Well, I came home. My mom was out | 那天我回到家 妈妈不在 |
[10:07] | and I caught my dad with another woman. | 我看到老爸和另一个女人在一起 |
[10:10] | Oh, Bulldog, I’m sorry. | Bulldog 我很遗憾 |
[10:12] | No, no. No, wait. | 不 不 慢着 |
[10:13] | You haven’t heard the bad part yet. | 你还没听到糟糕的部分呐 |
[10:16] | She was ugly, doc. | 她丑毙了 医生 |
[10:19] | I mean, coyote ugly. | 跟只母狼似的 |
[10:22] | My own dad. | 那可是我亲爹啊 |
[10:23] | And the best excuse he could come up with was: | 他能想出的借口竟然是 |
[10:25] | “Hey, you don’t look at the mantel when you’re poking the fire.” | “嘿 你通炉子的时候又不用看炉子” |
[10:32] | Hey! I just got that. | 嘿 我刚懂这话的意思 |
[10:40] | I just keep thinking back to that time | 我一直回想那次 |
[10:41] | when Dad made us try Little League. | 老爸让我们参加少年棒球联赛的经历 |
[10:44] | I’ll never forget the humiliation | 我永远也忘不了 |
[10:45] | of getting up to bat for the first time in my life, | 生命中第一次挥棒击球时受的耻辱 |
[10:48] | hearing the other team all cry out: | 听到其他队员大叫着 |
[10:51] | “Move in, everybody. Crane’s up.” | “靠近点儿 大伙 轮到Crane发球了” |
[10:55] | Yeah, but they moved right back out again after you took your first swing. | 是啊 但他们在你首次挥棒后就又散开了 |
[10:58] | Only because the bat flew out of my hands. | 那是因为球棒从我手上飞出去了 |
[11:02] | You worry too much. | 你多虑了 |
[11:03] | Your co-workers aren’t expecting you to play brilliantly. | 你的同事不指望着你打得有多好 |
[11:06] | No, I can live with playing badly in front of my co-workers. | 不是 我能容忍在同事面前打得很糟糕 |
[11:09] | It’s Frederick I’m worried about. | 我担心的是Frederick |
[11:11] | He’s still at that age | 他还处在一个 |
[11:12] | where he thinks his father can do anything. | 认为自己的父亲无所不能的年纪 |
[11:14] | Every child, at some point, must discover | 每个孩子 在某个时刻 一定会意识到 |
[11:16] | – that his father is not a superhero. – I know. | – 他的父亲并不是超级英雄 – 我知道 |
[11:19] | It’s a healthy part of the developmental process. | 这是成长过程中健康有益的一部分 |
[11:21] | I know… I know someday he’s gonna have to learn that I’m not perfect. | 我知道 我知道有一天他会意识到我并不完美 |
[11:24] | It’s just– I was hoping it might be something less humiliating, | 只是 我希望是在一个没那么丢人的情况下 |
[11:26] | like seeing me fast-dance at a family wedding. | 比如看见我在一个亲戚的婚礼上快速舞蹈 |
[11:31] | – You consider that less humiliating? – Well… | – 你觉得那个没那么丢人 – 是啊 |
[11:34] | Hello. Look who’s here. | 好啊 看看谁在这儿呐 |
[11:36] | You two have fun while I was at work? | 我工作的时候你俩玩儿得开心吗 |
[11:38] | – Yes. – Oh, yes. | – 是的 – 可不是嘛 |
[11:40] | We went to the amusement park. We had a lovely time. | 我们去了游乐园 玩得很开心 |
[11:43] | Only, I think the Ferris wheel scared him a bit. | 只不过 我想摩天轮有点吓到他了 |
[11:45] | He spent the whole ride hugging me for dear life. | 整个过程他都死命地抱着我 |
[11:49] | Really. | 真的嘛 |
[11:51] | Her hair smells like strawberry. | 她的头发闻起来像草莓 |
[11:55] | It smells like peach blossoms, lavender and vanilla. | 明明是像桃花 薰衣草和香草的混合香气 |
[12:00] | From over here, at least. | 至少从我这儿闻着是这样 |
[12:03] | Uncle Niles, are you coming | Niles叔叔 你会来看 |
[12:04] | to watch my dad play in the softball game? | 我爸爸的棒球比赛吗 |
[12:06] | He’s the best one on the team. | 他可是队里最棒的 |
[12:08] | Well, of course I am, Freddie. | 我当然会去了 Freddie |
[12:10] | I’ll be there sitting right between you and Daphne. | 我就坐在你和Daphne中间 |
[12:13] | Well, come on, Frederick. Let’s go get some hot chocolate. | 好了 来吧 Frederick 我们去买热巧克力喝 |
[12:16] | Okay. | 好的 |
[12:17] | – So you see the problem. – I certainly do. | – 所以你看到问题所在了 – 我确实看到了 |
[12:20] | No, that’s your problem. | 不 那是你的问题 |
[12:23] | My problem is that I promised Frederick I would play on Saturday. | 我的问题是我答应周六上场 |
[12:26] | Guess I’m left with only one choice. | 我想我只剩下一种选择了 |
[12:28] | – You’re gonna fake an injury? – No, course not. | – 你要假装受伤 – 不 当然不是 |
[12:30] | I’ve got to learn how to play softball. | 我得学会打棒球 |
[12:31] | In two days? | 在两天内 |
[12:33] | Well, back in college, when Stu Oberfeld got sick, | 在大学的时候 Stu Oberfeld生病了 |
[12:35] | I learned the role of | 在一天半的时间里我就 |
[12:36] | Mercutio in just a day and a half. | 掌握了Mercutio这个角色 |
[12:37] | I was brilliant. | 表演得棒极了 |
[12:38] | In the dueling scene, | 在决斗那场戏 |
[12:39] | the audience was on the edge of their seats. | 观众都激动得要从座椅上站起 |
[12:40] | Yes, and they were under them | 是啊 剑飞出你手的时候 |
[12:41] | when the sword flew out of your hands. | 他们都钻到座椅下面了 |
[12:50] | Gee, Dad, I wanna thank you for helping me out with this. | 老爸 我要感谢你这次能帮我 |
[12:54] | Don’t mention it. | 不足挂齿 |
[12:55] | We’re gonna whip you right into shape. | 要好好训练训练你 |
[12:58] | It must have been kind of disappointing | 一定有些令人失望 |
[12:59] | I never took any interest in this sort of thing as a kid. | 我小时候从没对这类事产生过兴趣 |
[13:02] | Well, I understood. | 我理解 |
[13:03] | Guess it’s a little complex I must have developed | 我想一定是成长的经历 |
[13:06] | when I was growing up, you know. | 让我变得有些复杂了 |
[13:07] | The doorbell would ring, I’d run to answer it, | 那时门铃响了 我跑去应门 |
[13:10] | and then there’d be the neighborhood kids | 门口站着邻居家的孩子们 |
[13:13] | with their baseball gloves and their bats, | 拿着棒球手套和球棒 |
[13:15] | looking for somebody else to join their game. | 找人和他们一起玩儿 |
[13:17] | They’d say, “Hey, can your dad come out and play?” | 他们会问 “嘿 你老爸能出来玩儿吗” |
[13:21] | Well, never mind that. You know, | 别放在心上 |
[13:22] | it’s kind of fun to finally be out here. | 现在来到这儿还是挺有趣的 |
[13:25] | At the risk of sounding like | 冒着听上去像 |
[13:27] | Stanley cornering Blanche DuBois in Streetcar, | <欲望号街车>里Stanley围堵Blanche的风险 |
[13:30] | we’ve had this date with each other from the very beginning. | 我们很早就决定要一起来这里了 |
[13:33] | I knew you’d ruin it. | 就知道你会毁三观 |
[13:35] | All right, come on. Put your helmet on. | 好了 来吧 戴上你的头盔 |
[13:38] | Gee, it’s kind of tight. | 老天 这有点儿紧 |
[13:39] | Yeah, well, it’s supposed to. | 是啊 就应该紧 |
[13:40] | It stops you from getting hurt. | 防止你受伤 |
[13:42] | Okay? Here, all right. There you go. | 好了吗 这样 好啦 |
[13:46] | Now… | 现在 |
[13:48] | …take your bat, get into the stance, just like I told you. | 拿着你的球棒 准备姿势 像我告诉你的那样 |
[13:51] | I’m gonna turn the machine on. | 我这就把发球机打开 |
[13:53] | The good thing about these balls | 这些球好就好在 |
[13:55] | is that they’re all at the same level, | 发出时都是同一高度 |
[13:57] | so you can work on your form and your timing. All right? | 你就能调整状态 掌控好时间了 好吗 |
[14:00] | Okay, now, here we go. | 好了 开始吧 |
[14:03] | Ah! | 啊 |
[14:05] | What is that? A pitching machine or a particle accelerator? | 那是什么 发球机还是粒子加速器 |
[14:09] | All right, all right. I’ll crank it down to a lower setting. | 好啦 好啦 我把它调低一档 |
[14:12] | Okay, now, just remember, | 好了 只要记住 |
[14:14] | left elbow in, right elbow up, knees bent. | 左肘贴 右肘抬 屈膝 |
[14:18] | All the weight on the balls of your feet, okay? | 重心放在你的脚掌上 好吗 |
[14:20] | Now, you step into the pitch. | 现在你踏入球场 |
[14:25] | Oh, yeah, and swing the bat. | 对了 还得挥球棒 |
[14:28] | Dad, can’t you just slow it down a little bit? | 老爸 你就不能稍微放慢点儿嘛 |
[14:30] | All right, all right, but if any of the other fathers come back here, | 好啦 好啦 要是有其他父亲回到这里 |
[14:33] | I’m taking it off the peewee setting. | 我就得关掉这个菜鸟模式 |
[14:35] | Okay. All right. Now, from the hips. | 好了 现在 从臀部开始 |
[14:38] | Nice and easy. Don’t try to kill it. | 放轻松 不要好高骛远 |
[14:40] | Just try to make contact. Okay, you ready? | 能碰到球就好 准备好了吗 |
[14:44] | Ready. | 好了 |
[14:50] | What are you looking at? | 你们看什么 |
[14:51] | Dad, they’re looking at me. | 老爸 他们在看我 |
[14:52] | Get out of here. Go on. | 离开这里 快走 |
[14:54] | Buzz off! | 走开 |
[15:05] | Did you hear that? Hear that? | 你听到了吗 听到没 |
[15:06] | I touched it that time. I did. | 这次我碰到球了 我碰到了 |
[15:08] | No, it didn’t. That was my knee cracking. | 不 没碰到 是我膝盖的声音 |
[15:11] | You’re doing a lot better, though. | 不过你已经做得好多了 |
[15:12] | Six in a row without hitting yourself in the kidney | 连续6次你的随球动作 |
[15:14] | on your follow-through. | 不是打自己的肾脏了 |
[15:16] | Who am I kidding? This is hopeless. | 我骗谁呢 没救了 |
[15:18] | Oh, well. Well, why don’t we just try changing bats. | 那换根球棒试试 |
[15:21] | No, dad, I couldn’t hit it if I had a sofa cushion. | 不了 老爸 我拿沙发垫也打不着 |
[15:23] | All right, so softball’s not your game. | 没关系 你不擅长打棒球 |
[15:26] | It’s no big deal. | 有什么大不了的 |
[15:27] | Freddie will understand that. | Freddie会理解的 |
[15:29] | I suppose in time he will. | 我想最终他会的 |
[15:31] | It’s just that… | 只不过 |
[15:37] | No boy ever forgets the first time | 没有男孩会忘记他第一次 |
[15:38] | he learns that his dad isn’t perfect. | 发现父亲并不完美的时刻 |
[15:42] | It’s not what I wanted him to take away with him on this trip. | 我可不希望这是他从这次旅行带走的东西 |
[15:45] | Anyway, thanks for your help. | 不管怎么说 谢谢你的帮助 |
[15:46] | Oh, don’t mention it. | 小事一桩 |
[15:48] | So, Frasier… | 那 Frasier |
[15:52] | – …what was it for you? – Huh? | – 你的那次是怎样 – 哈 |
[15:54] | Well, you know, I mean, | 我是说 |
[15:56] | when you first found out that I was less than perfect. | 你第一次发现我并不完美的时候 |
[16:00] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[16:01] | Well, I thought you said a kid never forgets the first time. | 你说孩子永远不会忘了第一次的 |
[16:03] | Well, maybe it was no one time. | 也许不是某一次 |
[16:06] | Oh, so it was a lot of times? | 那是很多次喽 |
[16:08] | No. I’m not very comfortable talking about it right now. | 不 现在我并不想说这件事 |
[16:10] | Well, why? You’re not gonna hurt my feelings. | 为什么 你又不会伤害到我的感情 |
[16:12] | I’m just curious. | 我只是好奇而已 |
[16:13] | All right, all right. | 好吧 好吧 |
[16:15] | Back in third grade. | 在三年级的时候 |
[16:17] | You took me and some of the boys | 你带着我和一些 |
[16:19] | from the math club out for pizza. | 数学俱乐部的男孩们出去吃比萨 |
[16:23] | When the check came… | 账单来的时候 |
[16:26] | …you couldn’t figure out the tip in your head. | 你算不出来应该给多少小费 |
[16:30] | I can’t do math in my head? | 我不会心算 |
[16:32] | That’s your big disappointment? | 这就让你失望至极 |
[16:34] | Well, it was at the time. | 反正当时是 |
[16:35] | Well, I wonder if I can calculate in my head | 不知道我能不能心算出 |
[16:37] | how many hits you got today. | 今天你击中了多少次 |
[16:39] | Let me think. | 想一想 |
[16:40] | Oh, zero! | 哎呀 零次 |
[16:41] | Fine! Fine, Dad, get defensive. I was 8 years old. | 好啊 老爸 你就回击我吧 我当时才8岁 |
[16:44] | Eight. | 哪个8 |
[16:45] | That’s the one shaped like the snowman, right? | 那个长得像个雪人的数字 对吧 |
[16:47] | I’m sorry I even brought it up. God. | 我居然提起这茬 老天爷 |
[16:52] | Guess I’m just gonna have to bite the bullet, | 我也只能硬着头皮 |
[16:54] | sit Frederick down on Saturday before the game | 在周六比赛前 和Frederick坐下来 |
[16:55] | and tell him the truth. | 告诉他事实 |
[17:00] | Not a conversation I’m looking forward to, | 虽然不是我期待的谈话 |
[17:01] | but I should prepare him for the fact that | 但我应该让他有点心理准备 |
[17:04] | his daddy’s not gonna be hitting any grand slams on Saturday. | 因为我不会在周六打出大满贯了 |
[17:10] | Or am I? Wait. | 或者我可以 等等 |
[17:12] | – A grand slam is…? – You aren’t. | – 大满贯是 – 你没戏 |
[17:16] | Well, anyway, I suppose that one consolation is, you know, | 不管怎么说 值得安慰的是 |
[17:20] | as disappointed as I was with you after the pizza incident, | 虽然在比萨意外之后我对你很失望 |
[17:23] | yet here we are, all these years later, | 但多年后的现在 |
[17:24] | out in a batting cage. | 我们却在这个击球场里 |
[17:26] | Yeah, that’s right. | 是啊 说得没错 |
[17:27] | Come on, I’ll get us a couple of beers. | 走吧 我去买点儿啤酒 |
[17:29] | – Thanks, Dad. – Okay. | – 谢谢 老爸 – 没问题 |
[17:31] | And how many of these shiny things–? | 需要付多少这些亮闪闪的东东呢 |
[17:34] | Oh, shut up. | 闭嘴吧 |
[17:40] | Hello, Niles. | 你好 Niles |
[17:41] | Frasier, you look like an authentic jock. | Frasier 你看上去像一个真的运动员 |
[17:44] | I’m half tempted to hand over my lunch money. | 我差点儿就要上交我的午餐费了 |
[17:47] | Is that your idea of appropriate baseball-watching attire? | 这就是你为棒球赛准备的装束 |
[17:51] | Obviously you failed to detect | 很明显你没有注意到 |
[17:52] | the subtle diamond pattern in my tie. | 我领带上微妙的菱形图案 |
[17:55] | Oh. | 还真是 |
[18:00] | So how did your little talk go with Frederick? | 你和Frederick谈得怎么样 |
[18:02] | Well, I haven’t been able to bring myself to do it yet. | 我还不忍心去找他谈 |
[18:06] | As a father, you go to any lengths | 作为父亲 你会竭尽全力地 |
[18:07] | to avoid looking foolish in front of your son. | 避免在你儿子面前出丑 |
[18:10] | Look what Mrs. Thorgeson was throwing out. | 看看Thorgeson夫人刚刚把什么扔了 |
[18:12] | Boy, the guys at McGinty’s are gonna love this. | 麦金蒂的家伙们一定会爱死这玩意儿 |
[18:20] | Well, anywho… | 不管怎样吧 |
[18:24] | Fredrick, what have I told you about running in the house? | Fredrick 关于在屋子里乱跑 我是怎么教你的 |
[18:27] | You told me to not run in the house. | 你说不要在屋子里乱跑 |
[18:28] | Good, and what have I told you about splitting infinitives? | 很好 我是怎么教你分裂不定式的 |
[18:30] | Frasier, let the boy be a boy. | Frasier 让这孩子有点儿童年吧 |
[18:34] | Don’t run away. I saw you. | 别想逃跑 我看见你了 |
[18:36] | Your son just walked right in on me in the shower. | 你的儿子刚才进来撞见我在洗澡 |
[18:38] | Frederick Frederick. | |
[18:39] | Dad, all I really saw was– | 老爸 我只看到了 |
[18:41] | I am very disappointed in you, young man. | 我对你十分失望 年轻人 |
[18:42] | Let the boy finish. | 让这孩子说完 |
[18:51] | All I really saw was a lot of steam. | 我只看到了许多水蒸气 |
[18:54] | I’m sorry, Daphne. I didn’t know you were in the shower. | 对不起 Daphne 我不知道你在洗澡 |
[18:57] | Now you hate me. | 现在你讨厌我了 |
[18:59] | I don’t hate you. | 我不讨厌你 |
[19:00] | You just have to promise to knock before you enter a room, okay? | 你只要保证在进屋之前先敲门 好吗 |
[19:05] | Sorry, Dad. | 对不起 爸爸 |
[19:07] | That’s okay, son. | 没关系 儿子 |
[19:09] | So when are we going to the game? | 那我们什么时候去比赛 |
[19:12] | In a bit. | 一会儿 |
[19:13] | First we have to have a little conversation, the two of us. | 不过我们得先谈一谈 就我们俩 |
[19:16] | Uncle Niles, do you think you could give us a moment alone? | Niles叔叔 你能让我们单独呆一会儿吗 |
[19:19] | Oh, of course. I’ll freshen up for the game. | 当然了 我先去为了比赛梳洗一下 |
[19:22] | You can fool them, but you can’t fool me. | 你骗得了他们 你糊弄不了我 |
[19:28] | I’m onto you, little man. | 我盯上你了 小鬼 |
[19:37] | Come on, Freddie. Come and have a seat here. | 来吧 Freddie 过来坐这儿 |
[19:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[19:46] | You’re gonna see me play some softball today. | 今天你会看见我打棒球 |
[19:49] | And I’m not gonna play very well. | 我不会打得很好 |
[19:53] | See, I’m not a good softball player. | 你看 我不是一名优秀的棒球运动员 |
[19:55] | But Bulldog said you were the best. | 但Bulldog说你是最棒的 |
[19:57] | Yes, I know. Well, he was just lying in order to be nice. | 是的 我知道 他只是想表示友善而撒谎了 |
[20:02] | The truth is I stink. | 事实是我糟透了 |
[20:03] | I can’t catch, I can’t throw, I can’t hit. | 接不住 扔不出 打不中 |
[20:06] | Oh. | 噢 |
[20:09] | So it must be pretty disappointing to hear for the first time | 第一次听到你爸爸并不完美 |
[20:12] | that your dad is not perfect, huh? | 一定非常失望吧 |
[20:13] | It’s not the first time. | 不是第一次了 |
[20:18] | You couldn’t fix my computer. | 你之前修不好我的电脑 |
[20:20] | You thought Venus was the North Star. | 你以为金星是北极星 |
[20:23] | And I’ve seen you run. | 而且 我看见过你跑步 |
[20:29] | Well, why didn’t you mention any of these things to me before? | 你之前怎么没跟我提过这些 |
[20:32] | I thought it might hurt your self-esteem. | 怕伤你自尊 |
[20:37] | Actually, Frederick, | 实际上 Frederick |
[20:38] | I’m really okay with those things. I am. | 对于这些我真的不介意 真的 |
[20:40] | I just want you to know that | 我只想让你知道 |
[20:41] | it’s okay for you to feel bad about them. | 有不好的感觉很正常 |
[20:43] | See, when I was about your age, | 在我像你这么大的时候 |
[20:44] | I felt real bad about learning | 知道你爷爷不会心算 |
[20:47] | that your grandpa can’t do math in his head. | 我感觉非常糟糕 |
[20:49] | I learned later, of course, that that wasn’t very important, | 当然了 之后我了解了这并不重要 |
[20:52] | because he can do so many other things so well. | 因为他会做其他很多事情 |
[20:54] | – Grandpa can’t do math in his head? – Yes, well, see… | – 爷爷不会心算 – 是的 是这样 |
[21:00] | That’s not the issue. | 那不是重点 |
[21:01] | Why did you go and tell him that for? | 你告诉他这干嘛 |
[21:02] | Well, I was illustrating a point. | 我只是在阐述一个观点 |
[21:04] | You mean, you can’t do it at all? | 你是说 你一点儿也不会 |
[21:06] | Well, yeah, sure I can, Freddie. | 我当然会 Freddie |
[21:08] | I knew you could. | 我知道你会 |
[21:09] | What’s 7 times 15? | 7乘15得多少 |
[21:12] | You can do it, Grandpa. | 你可以的 爷爷 |
[21:15] | 115 115? | |
[21:16] | Oh, Grandpa. | 爷爷啊 |
[21:18] | Well, thanks a lot, Frasier. | 真谢谢你了 Frasier |
[21:19] | Well, I tried, for God’s sake. | 看在老天的份上 我尽力了 |
[21:21] | – Ready for the game? – Yeah. | – 准备好去比赛了 – 是啊 |
[21:23] | You don’t sound too excited. | 你听上去不怎么兴奋啊 |
[21:25] | I just found out Dad’s bad at softball | 我刚刚得知爸爸打不好棒球 |
[21:28] | and Grandpa can’t do math in his head. | 爷爷不会心算 |
[21:31] | Those things aren’t important. | 这些事都不重要 |
[21:32] | What can I do to make you feel better? | 我能为你做点儿什么呢 |
[21:35] | – Maybe a hug? – Oh, come here. | – 也许抱一下 – 过来吧 |
[21:39] | Oh. There you go. | 好了好了 |