英文名称:An Inspector Calls
年代:2015
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:15] | Do you believe in God? | 你相信上帝吗 |
[00:18] | Yes. | 相信 |
[00:21] | How can you? | 为什么 |
[00:25] | I can’t believe in people. | 我没法相信人类 |
[00:28] | I have to believe in something, or I’d fall. | 我必须得相信什么 否则我将无所寄托 |
[00:34] | Fall down through the cracks… | 然后堕入深渊 |
[00:36] | and never stop falling. | 万劫不复 |
[00:59] | Thank you, sir. | 多谢您 |
[02:23] | Come in. | 进来 |
[02:35] | Hello. | 你来了 |
[02:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[03:45] | 英格兰 1912年 | |
[03:56] | Arthur. I don’t think that’s really appropriate | 亚瑟 你这话说得可不太合适 |
[04:00] | not with Sheila here. | 希拉还在这呢 |
[04:02] | Nonsense, Mummy. | 没有的事 妈妈 |
[04:03] | She’s heard a lot worse than that. | 比这过分的她也听过 |
[04:05] | – Have you? – You know I have. | -是吗 -你知道我听过 |
[04:07] | An altogether excellent dinner. | 这顿晚餐真的太棒了 |
[04:08] | You must tell cook from me, Sybil. | 一定要告诉厨师 西比尔 |
[04:10] | And you’re not supposed to say such things in front of guests. | 你可不该在客人面前这么自夸 |
[04:13] | In trouble again! | 又说错话了 |
[04:15] | Well, it really was first class, Mrs Birling. | 不过 这确实是一等一的晚餐 伯灵夫人 |
[04:19] | – Thank you. – I don’t think of Gerald as a guest, you know. | -谢谢 -我可没把杰拉德当客人 你明白吧 |
[04:22] | Not any more. | 不再当他是客人了 |
[04:24] | I don’t see how he can be, after tonight. | 我也觉得今晚以后他就不是客人了 |
[04:28] | Oh, do take some, Mummy. | 再来点吧 妈妈 |
[04:30] | It is a special occasion. | 今天这么特殊 |
[04:32] | Very well. Just a little. | 好吧 少来一点 |
[04:38] | All right, Edna. I’ll ring from the drawing room | 好了艾德娜 我们要咖啡的时候 |
[04:40] | when we want coffee. | 会拉铃的 |
[04:41] | Yes, ma’am. | 好的 夫人 |
[04:43] | What’s the matter with you? | 你什么情况 |
[04:45] | I don’t know. Sorry, I just… | 我也不知道 不好意思 我只是 |
[04:48] | Ah, he’s squiffy. | 他微醺了 |
[04:50] | No, I’m not. | 不 我没有 |
[04:51] | Sheila. | 希拉 |
[04:52] | Now that our glasses are full, | 酒杯既然已经斟满 |
[04:54] | I’d like to say a few words to mark the occasion. | 我想为今晚说几句 |
[04:56] | Stop it, you two. | 你们两个 消停点 |
[04:58] | Gerald, I don’t mind telling you | 杰拉德 我不怕告诉你 |
[05:01] | that your engagement to Sheila… | 你跟希拉订婚 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:949个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:169个,六级词汇:75个,GRE词汇:75个,托福词汇:105个,考研词汇:172个,专四词汇:147个,专八词汇:25个, 所有生词标注共:264个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[05:04] | …means a tremendous amount to me. | 对我来说意义重大 |
[05:07] | You’re just the kind of son-in-law I’ve always wanted. | 我一直想要的就是你这样的女婿 |
[05:11] | Your father and I have been rivals in business | 我和你父亲在商场上明争暗斗 |
[05:14] | for longer than I care to remember, | 已经不知道多少年了 |
[05:17] | but you’re bringing us together. | 但是你拉近了我们的关系 |
[05:20] | And perhaps we can look forward to | 也许 我们能期待未来 |
[05:22] | a time when Birling and Company | 伯灵集团和 |
[05:24] | and Crofts Limited are no longer competing, but working as one. | 考夫特有限公司化干戈为玉帛 携手共进 |
[05:29] | – Hear hear. – Lower costs, | -是啊 是啊 -更低成本 |
[05:31] | higher prices, eh? | 更高收益 对吧 |
[05:32] | My father would certainly agree to that. | 我父亲一定会赞同的 |
[05:33] | You’re making it sound like a political alliance. | 你这么说 听起来就像是政治联姻 |
[05:36] | We know there’s a lot more to it than that. | 我们都知道你俩远不止这个 |
[05:38] | And you’ve chosen the best possible time to be married. | 而且你们结婚的时机也是极好的 |
[05:41] | The economy’s on the way up at last, | 经济终于要开始回暖了 |
[05:44] | the workers are knuckling under | 工人们都在摩拳擦掌 |
[05:46] | and realising what’s good for them… | 明白什么是对他们有利的 |
[05:48] | What about war? | 如果打起仗来呢 |
[05:49] | There’s not going to be a war, Eric. | 不可能打起来的 埃里克 |
[05:51] | The Germans don’t want a war any more than we do. | 德国人比我们更不想打仗 |
[05:53] | Really? | 是么 |
[05:54] | Because according to the papers… | 因为报纸上说 |
[05:56] | Let’s not talk about this now. | 我们不谈这个好吗 |
[06:00] | I want to wish the pair of you the very best that life can bring. | 我要祝你们俩生活一切顺利 |
[06:05] | Yes, Gerald. | 没错 杰拉德 |
[06:07] | Sheila, darling… | 希拉 亲爱的 |
[06:09] | our congratulations and very best wishes. | 祝贺你们 祝你们幸福 |
[06:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[06:19] | Um… Yes. To both of you. | 没错 祝你们幸福 |
[06:21] | She’s not bad really, Gerald. | 她真的不错 杰拉德 |
[06:23] | Got a bit of a temper. | 有点小脾气 |
[06:24] | Watch out for the right hook. | 要注意她的右钩拳 |
[06:26] | Chump. | 傻瓜 |
[06:27] | Really, I hope you find happiness. | 真的 我希望你幸福 |
[06:30] | I really do. | 真心的 |
[06:35] | Well, I can’t drink to this, can I? | 我不能为这个干杯 是吧 |
[06:38] | When do I drink? | 我什么时候喝呢 |
[06:38] | You can drink to me. | 我俩可以对饮一杯 |
[06:40] | All right, I will. | 好啊 这还不错 |
[06:43] | I drink to you, Gerald. | 我敬你 杰拉德 |
[06:45] | And I drink to you. | 我也敬你 |
[06:48] | I hope that I can make you as happy as you deserve to be. | 我希望我能让你尽可能的快乐 |
[06:56] | And I would like to begin… | 我就从 |
[06:58] | by giving you this. | 送给你这个开始 |
[07:01] | Oh, Gerald! Is it the one you wanted me to have? | 杰拉德 这就是你说要送给我的东西吗 |
[07:06] | The very one. | 就是这个 |
[07:08] | Ah, look, Mummy, isn’t it a beauty? | 看呀 妈妈 是不是很美 |
[07:10] | It certainly is. | 真的很美 |
[07:16] | Well done. | 不错 |
[07:18] | Oh, Gerald… | 杰拉德 |
[07:22] | Steady the buffs. | 克制点啊 |
[07:24] | Now I really feel engaged. | 现在我是确实感觉到自己订婚了 |
[07:25] | Yes, well, I should hope that you do! | 太好了 这就是我要的效果 |
[07:29] | Well, now…shall we go through? | 那 我们先走吧 |
[07:31] | Yes, let’s. | 好的 走吧 |
[07:33] | – We won’t be long. – Don’t be. | -我们不会太晚的 -那就好 |
[07:41] | Eric? May I have a word? | 埃里克 我能跟你说几句吗 |
[07:43] | Yes, Mama, of course. | 好的 妈妈 当然 |
[07:53] | Please don’t drink too much port. | 请别喝那么多了 |
[07:54] | I’m not squiffy. | 我没有醉 |
[07:56] | Well, I think you are a little bit… “squiffy”. | 可是我真的觉得你有点 “微醺” |
[08:00] | Why are you drinking so much tonight anyway? | 你今晚到底为什么喝这么多 |
[08:03] | You clearly can’t take as much as your father… | 你显然没有你爸爸酒量好 |
[08:05] | or Gerald, if it comes to it. | 事实证明 也没有杰拉德酒量好 |
[08:07] | I expect you’ll be saying that when I’m 40. | 我以为你会等我40岁的时候再来管这个 |
[08:09] | Well, I may not be here when you’re 40, | 你40岁的时候 我可不一定还在了 |
[08:10] | so I’m saying it now. | 所以该管就得管 |
[08:14] | Don’t worry, Mother. | 别担心 妈妈 |
[08:16] | – I’m just… – Standards, Eric. | -我只是 -保持风度 埃里克 |
[08:33] | They very much wanted to be here, of course, | 他们当然很想过来 |
[08:35] | but they’ve got into the habit | 不过他们习惯了 |
[08:37] | of taking a short break at this time of year… | 每年这个时候去度个小假 |
[08:39] | What, they leave you in charge of the works? | 怎么 他们把生意都留给你照看了 |
[08:41] | They do, yes. | 是的 |
[08:42] | Do you hear that, Eric? | 听到了没 埃里克 |
[08:45] | Gerald’s father leaves him in charge from time to time. | 杰拉德的父亲有时候会把生意交给他管 |
[08:48] | Very impressive. | 真厉害 |
[08:50] | That’ll be you one day… | 如果你打起精神来 |
[08:52] | if you buck your ideas up. | 我的生意早晚也要交给你打理的 |
[09:00] | Happy? | 开心吗 |
[09:01] | Yes. | 很开心 |
[09:05] | There was a time when I thought this would never happen. | 有一段时间我以为这事儿没希望了 |
[09:08] | Well done. | 做得好 |
[09:09] | I haven’t won a prize. | 我又不是赢了什么奖 |
[09:11] | Well, you have, in a way. | 从某个角度来说 你是赢了 |
[09:16] | You’ve secured your whole future. | 你确保了下半生的未来 |
[09:32] | Don’t take this the wrong way, Gerald, | 我这么说你别太在意 杰拉德 |
[09:35] | but I’ve a feeling your mother | 不过我有种感觉你母亲 |
[09:37] | thinks you could have done better than my girl | 可能觉得你能找到比 |
[09:39] | socially and so on. | 我家姑娘更好的 |
[09:40] | I… I really don’t think… | 不 我真的不觉得 |
[09:43] | Oh, it’s quite all right. I don’t blame her. | 这没什么 我不怪她这么想 |
[09:45] | Sybil’s parents were just the same | 当初 我追求西比尔的时候 |
[09:46] | when I was courting her. | 她父母也是一样的态度 |
[09:47] | Were they? | 是吗 |
[09:48] | Oh, yes. | 可不是吗 |
[09:50] | Now, there’s something I’d like you to mention to her… | 不过 如果你不介意的话 |
[09:53] | quietly, if you don’t mind. | 我希望你私下跟她提一下 |
[09:56] | It seems there’s a pretty good chance | 目前看来 我貌似有这么一个机会 |
[09:58] | that I might find my way on to the next honours list. | 可能能够登上下一批受勋者名册 |
[10:03] | A knighthood. | 获封骑士 |
[10:05] | Oh, I say! | 我的老天 |
[10:06] | – Congratulations! – Thanks. | -恭喜您 -谢谢 |
[10:08] | Well, it’s a bit early for that, | 虽然 现在说的话还为时尚早 |
[10:10] | but I’ve had one or two hints. | 不过 我已经得到一些暗示了 |
[10:13] | Well, you know I had that spell as Lord Mayor, of course. | 你也知道 我曾经当过市长 |
[10:16] | And I’m known as a useful party man. | 而且我在党内的贡献也不小 |
[10:19] | I think I stand a fair chance | 我觉得我的机会挺大 |
[10:21] | as long as we keep out of trouble for the next few months. | 只要接下来几个月别惹上什么麻烦 |
[10:23] | Well, if that’s the only obstacle… | 如果唯一的障碍是这个 |
[10:24] | The family knows, but, um… no-one else does. | 这事只有家里人知道 其他人都不知道 |
[10:28] | I shall mention it to her in confidence. | 我会悄悄跟她说的 |
[10:30] | – She’ll be delighted. – Good. | -她会很高兴的 -那就好 |
[10:32] | I’ve said this to Eric before, | 我跟埃里克之前也说过 |
[10:34] | it’s not where you start in this life, | 重要的不是你人生的起点多高 |
[10:36] | it’s where you finish. | 而是你的成就如何 |
[10:37] | Now, a man can achieve anything he wants to | 在这个国家 一个人只要下定决心 |
[10:39] | in this country, if he puts his mind to it. | 就能达成他想要的任何成就 |
[10:42] | And that’s part of what makes it great. | 这也是为什么这个国家伟大的原因 |
[10:44] | I couldn’t agree with you more. | 我实在不能更同意了 |
[10:45] | The thing to do is to keep your head down and concentrate on your own business. | 唯一要做的就是专注做好你自己的事 |
[10:50] | The way these cranks talk now, | 如果要像现在这些搞运动的疯子们所说 |
[10:53] | you’d think everybody has to look after everybody else, | 人人都得关心其他人 |
[10:56] | and we’re all mixed up together, like bees in a hive. | 那还不像个马蜂窝一样乱了套了 |
[11:02] | “Community”! If I hear that word one more time… | “社区团结” 再让我听到这词 |
[11:07] | You take it from me – | 我就这么告诉你 |
[11:09] | a man must look after his own affairs. | 男人必须把自己的事情料理好 |
[11:13] | Look after himself and his family, | 料理好自己 照看好家族 |
[11:15] | and then everything else just… | 其他的一切都 |
[11:19] | Please, sir, an inspector’s called. | 先生 有位探长来访 |
[11:21] | What kind of inspector? | 什么样的探长 |
[11:23] | A police inspector, sir. He says it’s important. | 来自警局的探长 他说有很重要的事情找您 |
[11:27] | Well, you’d better let him in here then. | 好吧 那你就让他进来吧 |
[11:30] | Ah, nuisance. | 真够烦的 |
[11:32] | Are you still on the bench, sir? | 您还在当法官吗 |
[11:33] | Yes. It’ll be something about a warrant, I bet. | 是的 估计是要签搜查令什么的 |
[11:39] | Inspector Goole, sir. | 这是古尔探长 先生 |
[11:43] | Mr Birling? | 伯灵先生 |
[11:45] | Yes, Inspector. Sit down if you like. | 是我 探长 请坐 |
[11:48] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[11:50] | I hope this won’t take too long, | 我希望不会太久 |
[11:52] | only we’re in the middle of a family celebration. | 我们这有个家庭庆祝活动 |
[11:57] | A glass of port? Or we have some whisky. | 要来杯波特吗 或者威士忌 |
[12:00] | No, thank you, Mr Birling. I’m on duty. | 不了 谢谢 伯灵先生 我正当值 |
[12:02] | – You’re new, aren’t you? – Yes, sir. Recently transferred. | -你是新来的吧 -是的 先生 刚调过来的 |
[12:05] | I thought I’d never seen your face before. | 我就说以前没见过你 |
[12:07] | – I know all the police round here. – Of course. | -本地警局的人我都认识 -那是当然 |
[12:11] | So, what can I do for you? If it’s about a warrant… | 那么我能帮上什么忙 如果是搜查证的话 |
[12:15] | I’d like some information, if you don’t mind. | 我想问些问题 如果您不介意的话 |
[12:19] | Three hours ago, a young woman died in the Infirmary. | 三个小时前 一个年轻姑娘在医院去世了 |
[12:23] | She’d taken steps to end her own life. | 她选择了结束自己的生命 |
[12:26] | The doctors tried to save her, but it was too late. | 医生们试图抢救 但已经太晚了 |
[12:29] | Good heavens, how dreadful. | 天哪 太可怕了 |
[12:32] | And? | 所以 |
[12:34] | Who… Who was she? | 她 是谁 |
[12:36] | And you are? | 请问你是 |
[12:38] | – Um…Eric Birling. – My son. | -埃里克·伯灵 -我儿子 |
[12:42] | Her name was Eva Smith. | 死者叫伊娃·史密斯 |
[12:47] | Eva Smith… | 伊娃·史密斯 |
[12:49] | Do you remember her, Mr Birling? | 你记得她吗 伯灵先生 |
[12:57] | The name seems familiar, but, er… | 这个名字是有点耳熟 但是 |
[13:00] | ..it doesn’t really mean anything to me. | 我没想起来什么 |
[13:03] | I’ve just been round to the room she had. | 我刚刚去了她的住处 |
[13:05] | She left a letter and a sort of diary. | 她留了一封遗书 还有一些日记 |
[13:06] | Now, it seems that she was employed in your works at one time. | 看来她之前是您公司的员工 |
[13:10] | Ah…that’s it, is it? | 啊 原来是这样 |
[13:13] | Well, we have several hundred young women working there, | 我们有好几百个年轻女工在公司工作 |
[13:17] | and they keep changing. | 她们流动性也很大 |
[13:19] | Well, this young woman, Eva Smith, | 不过这个姑娘 伊娃·史密斯 |
[13:22] | she was a bit out of the ordinary. | 她有点不同寻常 |
[13:24] | I found a photograph of her in her lodgings. | 我在她住处找到一张她的照片 |
[13:27] | Perhaps you’d remember her from that. | 可能您看了能想起来 |
[13:30] | May I see it, please? | 能给我看看吗 |
[13:31] | I’m afraid not. | 恐怕不行 |
[13:33] | Why not? I only… | 为什么不行 我只是 |
[13:34] | It’s the way I work. One line of inquiry at a time. | 这是我做事的方法 一次只问一个人 |
[13:38] | Very well, um… | 那好 |
[13:40] | Would I know her, father? | 我认识她吗 爸爸 |
[13:42] | No. No. That girl left us… | 不 不 这个女孩已经走了 |
[13:45] | Oh, nearly two years ago. | 大约两年了 |
[13:47] | Long before you even started at the works. | 早在你开始工作之前了 |
[13:49] | The end of September, 1910. | 1910年的9月末 |
[13:51] | Yes, that’s about right. | 对 听着对的 |
[13:52] | So you remember her now? | 所以你现在记起她了 |
[14:18] | Yes, I do. | 对 我记起来了 |
[14:21] | Look here, sir, wouldn’t you rather I was out of all this? | 先生 我是不是应该先回避一下 |
[14:24] | No, Gerald. No, you stay. | 别走 杰拉德 你留下 |
[14:26] | I’m sure the inspector will have no objection. | 我相信这位探长不会反对 |
[14:28] | This is Gerald Croft, son of Sir George Croft. | 这位是杰拉德·考夫特 乔治·考夫特爵士的公子 |
[14:32] | You know, Crofts Limited. | 你知道 那个考夫特有限公司 |
[14:34] | We’re celebrating his engagement to my daughter, as it happens. | 我们恰巧正在庆祝他和小女的订婚 |
[14:37] | I see, so Mr Gerald Croft is to marry Miss Sheila Birling? | 我明白了 所以杰拉德·考夫特先生即将要娶希拉·伯灵小姐 |
[14:42] | I hope so, yes. | 希望如此 对 |
[14:48] | Then I’d prefer you to stay, sir. | 那么我希望你可以留下 先生 |
[14:53] | Look… | 听着 |
[14:56] | There’s nothing mysterious or scandalous about this business. | 这事没有什么神秘或者可耻的地方 |
[14:59] | At least not as far as I’m concerned. | 至少据我所知是这样的 |
[15:02] | It was perfectly straightforward… | 这是非常直截了当的 |
[15:04] | What was? | 什么直截了当 |
[15:05] | I discharged her, that’s all. | 我把她解雇了 就这样 |
[15:07] | I discharged her from the works. | 我把她从工厂里解雇了 |
[15:11] | Why did you do that, sir? | 你为什么要这么做 先生 |
[15:12] | Why? What does it matter why? | 为什么 你干嘛要管为什么 |
[15:16] | She was a trouble-maker. That’s why. | 她是一个麻烦精 这就是理由 |
[15:18] | In what way? | 在哪个方面 |
[15:22] | She was part of a gang of five. | 她是五人帮里的一个 |
[15:24] | They started coming to me that summer, | 她们在那个夏天来找我 |
[15:26] | wanting me to put their wages up. I refused. | 想让我给她们升工资 我拒绝了 |
[15:28] | She was the ringleader… | 她是里面的头目 |
[15:29] | Why do you say that? | 你是如何判断的 |
[15:32] | Because she was. | 因为她就是 |
[15:35] | It was her did all the talking. | 是她一直在主导谈话 |
[15:37] | The next thing I knew, she’d brought | 接下来 就是她 |
[15:39] | the whole workforce out on strike. | 带领全体工厂员工罢工 |
[15:40] | I heard about it. | 我听说过 |
[15:42] | They knew what they were doing. They waited until we had | 她们很清楚自己在做什么 她们一直等到 |
[15:46] | a huge order to deliver, | 我们有个很大的订单要交货 |
[15:48] | the biggest one we’d ever had. | 开厂以来最大的订单 |
[15:51] | So one might say they were clever? | 所以可以说 她们很聪明 |
[15:56] | Yes. One might say that. | 对 可以这么说 |
[15:58] | – In a dangerous sort of way. – Exactly. | -从类似危险的角度看 -对 |
[16:01] | So you sacked her? | 所以你把她解雇了 |
[16:03] | No. Not at first I didn’t. | 没有 刚开始我没有 |
[16:04] | What did you do? | 那你做了什么 |
[16:07] | I gave her a chance… | 我给了她一个机会 |
[16:09] | if you must know. | 如果你非知不可的话 |
[16:35] | I’m glad you could come to see me, Miss Smith. | 我很高兴你能过来见我 史密斯小姐 |
[16:40] | How are you coping? | 你近来可好 |
[16:42] | All right, thank you. | 还好 谢谢 |
[16:45] | Are you? | 真的吗 |
[16:48] | You’ve lost those roses in your cheeks. | 你脸上的红晕都消退了 |
[16:57] | It must be getting on for two weeks now. | 从罢工到现在有两个星期了 |
[17:01] | You must be starting to feel the pinch. | 你们一定开始感觉到痛苦了 |
[17:03] | We are. | 是的 |
[17:04] | All of us are. | 所有人都是 |
[17:07] | But we don’t feel we have a choice. | 但是我们不认为还有别的选择 |
[17:09] | Mr Birling, our rents are going up all the time, | 伯灵先生 我们的房租一直在涨 |
[17:12] | but we haven’t had a wage rise in over two years. | 但是这两年来我们的工资却从未涨过 |
[17:15] | Most of us are going hungry to pay our rent. | 大部分人为了交房租不得不忍饥挨饿 |
[17:17] | We’re going without coal to pay… | 我们快要买不起煤球了 |
[17:19] | Where are you from? | 你从哪里来 |
[17:22] | The countryside, isn’t it? | 是乡下来的 对吗 |
[17:24] | One of those villages up on the tops. | 北部那些村庄中的一个 |
[17:28] | It’s nice up there. | 那地方很好 |
[17:30] | Honest. | 坦白地说 |
[17:33] | What do your parents think you’re up to down here? | 你父母对你在现在做的事是怎么想的 |
[17:35] | I don’t want to talk about my family, if you don’t mind. | 我不想谈我的家庭 如果你不介意的话 |
[17:38] | I’ve got a daughter same age as you. | 我有个和你差不多大的女儿 |
[17:40] | I wouldn’t be very happy if she found herself in your position. | 如果她陷入你这样的处境 我可不会高兴 |
[17:43] | I’m sorry, I don’t think this is fair, sir. | 对不起 我觉得这不公平 先生 |
[17:45] | And I know there are other factories that pay 25 shillings… | 我知道有其他工厂付25先令 |
[17:48] | Here’s what I suggest. | 你听听我的建议 |
[17:51] | You’re a good worker, I know that. | 你是一个好员工 这我知道 |
[17:54] | How about I make you Leading Operator? | 我让你当技工领班怎么样 |
[17:58] | You’ll have ten girls working under you. | 你手下会有10个姑娘 |
[18:01] | I’ll pay you your 25 shillings. | 我会付你25个先令 |
[18:03] | You can call them back and we’ll get that order out. | 你可以叫她们回来 然后我们公布 |
[18:05] | I’m afraid I can’t accept that. | 很抱歉我不能接受 |
[18:06] | Why not? | 为什么不 |
[18:08] | It has to be for all of us. | 我们所有人都得涨工资 |
[18:10] | Sir, it has to be for all of us. | 先生 得是所有人 |
[18:13] | Quite the little agitator, aren’t you? | 真是个煽动者 不是吗 |
[18:15] | You wouldn’t talk to me like this if I were a man. | 如果我是个男人你就不会这样和我说话 |
[18:17] | You wouldn’t get away with paying us so little | 如果我们是男人 就不会给这点钱 |
[18:18] | if we were men. | 就能让我们干活 |
[18:19] | Your little strike won’t last another week. | 你们这小小的罢工都持续不到下个星期 |
[18:23] | Come next Monday morning, | 等到下周一早晨 |
[18:24] | those girls will realise they’re down to their last pennies, | 这些姑娘意识到她们只剩下最后一便士了 |
[18:27] | they’ll come traipsing through those gates. | 她们就会疲惫地从大门进来 |
[18:29] | You just watch. | 你就等着瞧 |
[19:43] | Not you. | 你不行 |
[20:41] | Well, for what it’s worth, | 我个人觉得 |
[20:44] | I don’t see how you could have done anything else, sir. | 我觉得你已经没法做得再多了 先生 |
[20:46] | That’s right. I couldn’t. | 对啊 没法做得再多了 |
[20:48] | – You could have paid them. – I beg your pardon? | -你可以给她们涨工资 -你说什么 |
[20:50] | You could have paid them the 25 shillings. | 你本可以给她们25先令的工资 |
[20:52] | – There must have been a way. – And you’d know that how? | -一定有方法的 -你这么说是因为什么 |
[20:55] | I do work at the factory, Father. | 我也在工厂工作 爸爸 |
[20:57] | Eric, you can’t have people like that in the work force. | 埃里克 你不能把这种人留在工厂里 |
[21:03] | And that’s the bottom line. | 这是底线 |
[21:04] | I pay people the going rate. | 我按照市价付工人工资 |
[21:07] | And if people don’t like it, they’re free to leave | 如果人们不喜欢 他们可以自主选择 |
[21:10] | and go elsewhere. | 去其他地方 |
[21:12] | Oh, yes, because there are so many jobs elsewhere. | 是哦 因为其他地方有那么多工作等着 |
[21:14] | You know, it’s not as easy for the girls. | 你知道 这对于女孩子们而言并不容易 |
[21:16] | It’s hard for them to just up and leave their home towns. | 对她们来说单单离开家乡就很艰难 |
[21:18] | You’re an expert on girls now, are you? | 你现在是妇女之友了 是吗 |
[21:20] | I’m saying you could have at least let her keep her job. | 我的意思是 你至少可以让她继续工作 |
[21:23] | Just because she had a bit more spirit than the rest of them… | 仅仅因为她比其他员工更有勇气 |
[21:26] | If you don’t come down hard on some of these people, | 如果你不对这些人狠一点 |
[21:28] | they’ll soon be asking for the earth. | 她们马上就会向你要整个地球 |
[21:31] | – That’s right. – They might. | -对的 -她们可能会 |
[21:34] | But it’s better to ask for the earth than to take it. | 但是索要地球总比直接拿走好 |
[21:42] | What do you mean by that? | 你这话什么意思 |
[21:43] | I’m sure you know exactly what I mean. | 你很清楚我在讲什么 |
[21:49] | Sorry. Mother wants to know when you’ll be coming through. | 不好意思 妈妈想知道你多久才能来 |
[21:52] | – What’s going on? – It’s all right, darling. | -怎么了 -没事 亲爱的 |
[21:55] | The inspector here is just asking your father a few questions. | 这位探长来 是想问你爸爸一些事 |
[21:58] | A girl he sacked committed suicide this afternoon. | 他解雇的一个姑娘今天中午自杀了 |
[22:02] | – That’s dreadful. – A girl I sacked two years ago. | -太可怕了 -我两年前解雇的女工 |
[22:06] | Her…doing what she did had nothing to do with me. | 她现在做的事和我一点关系都没有 |
[22:11] | I can’t agree with you there, sir. | 我不敢苟同 先生 |
[22:13] | You see, what happened to her then | 你看 那时发生在她身上的事 |
[22:15] | may have determined what happened to her afterwards. | 可能决定了后来在她身上发生的事 |
[22:19] | A chain of events. | 是一连串的事 |
[22:23] | I can’t be held responsible for what… | 曾经打过交道的人 |
[22:25] | people I had dealings with choose to do in two or three years’ time. | 两三年后做的选择 我没法对此负责 |
[22:31] | It’s a ridiculous notion. | 这是个荒唐的想法 |
[22:33] | Is it? | 真的吗 |
[22:37] | What did you say your name is? | 你刚刚说你的名字是什么 |
[22:38] | Inspector Goole. | 古尔探长 |
[22:40] | How do you get on with the Chief Constable? | 你和警察局长相处得怎么样 |
[22:42] | Because you might like to know that I play golf with him | 因为你可能会想知道 我俩在西布鲁姆利经常 |
[22:44] | at the West Brumley, regularly. | 会一起打高尔夫 |
[22:46] | I don’t play golf. | 我不打高尔夫 |
[22:52] | This girl, was she young? | 这个女孩 她很年轻吗 |
[22:56] | Yes, miss. She was. | 是的 小姐 她很年轻 |
[22:57] | – It’s very sad. – Yes. | – 真是可怜 -对 |
[22:59] | Was she pretty? | 她漂亮吗 |
[23:02] | Well, she wasn’t pretty when I saw her this afternoon. | 今天下午我见到她时一点都不漂亮 |
[23:04] | But yes, she had been pretty. | 但是对 她曾经很漂亮 |
[23:06] | That’s enough. Sheila, go back to your mother. | 够了 希拉 到你妈妈那里去 |
[23:09] | Tell her I’m about done here. | 告诉她我这里马上就好了 |
[23:12] | Stay, please, Miss Birling. | 请留下来 伯灵小姐 |
[23:18] | I don’t care for your attitude. | 我不介意你的态度 |
[23:20] | I’ve told you everything I know about that girl, | 我已经把我知道的所有事都告诉你了 |
[23:23] | and I must say I don’t see that it’s very important. | 而且我必须得说 我觉得这无关紧要 |
[23:27] | Now, I’d ask you to leave | 现在 请你离开 |
[23:28] | and let us get on with what’s left of our evening. | 让我们继续今晚的庆祝 |
[23:38] | I’ll leave when I’ve finished, Mr Birling. | 结束了我自然会离开的 伯灵先生 |
[23:49] | Mr Birling has told you everything he knows. | 伯灵先生已经把他知道的所有事都告诉你了 |
[23:52] | And surely it’s what happened to the girl afterwards | 而且我相信后来这女孩身上发生了什么 |
[23:55] | that should interest you most. | 才是你感兴趣的 |
[23:57] | What did happen to her? | 后来发生了什么 |
[24:00] | Did she find another job? | 她找到其他工作了吗 |
[24:02] | According to her diary, she was out of work for several weeks. | 根据这日记 她之后的几个星期都没工作 |
[24:06] | Both her parents were dead, | 她的父母都去世了 |
[24:07] | so she’d no home to go back to. | 所以她没有家庭可以依靠 |
[24:09] | Living in lodgings, few friends, half-starved. | 住的出租房 朋友很少 饿的半死 |
[24:13] | She was feeling desperate. | 她十分绝望 |
[24:15] | I should think she was. | 我觉得是的 |
[24:17] | Oh, there are lots of young women living that sort of existence | 在世界上的每个城市每个小镇 |
[24:21] | in every city and town across the world, Miss Birling. | 很多年轻女子都处在这种生活状态 伯灵小姐 |
[24:23] | She doesn’t need to hear about that. | 她没必要听这些东西 |
[24:26] | Perhaps I ought to hear about it. | 可能我应该听听 |
[24:28] | Then, after two months, she had | 接着 两个月以后 |
[24:31] | what seemed to her a tremendous stroke of good luck. | 似乎有好运降临到了她头上 |
[24:34] | She was offered a position in a shop – a very good shop. | 一家商店录用了她 很不错的一家商店 |
[24:37] | Milwards. | 米尔沃茨 |
[24:38] | There you are, you see? | 我早就说过了 你看 |
[24:39] | Milwards? The department store? We go there. | 米尔沃茨 那个百货商场 我们经常去那儿 |
[24:42] | Yes. There was a good deal of influenza about at that time, | 对 当时爆发了很大的流感 |
[24:46] | and they suddenly found themselves short-handed | 他们突然发现缺乏人手了 |
[24:48] | and, er, well, they took a chance on her. | 所以 他们给了她一个机会 |
[24:51] | I’ve sometimes thought it must be a very pleasant place to work. | 我有时觉得在那里工作应该挺令人愉快的 |
[24:55] | Yes, it was, for a while. | 对 是的 在一段时间内 |
[24:57] | It was a nice change from the factory. | 这是从工厂出来后一个很好的转变 |
[24:59] | She enjoyed being amongst all the pretty clothes. She did well. | 她喜欢穿梭在漂亮衣服之中 她做的很好 |
[25:02] | And then, after six weeks… | 然后 在六周之后 |
[25:05] | she was asked to leave. | 她被要求离开 |
[25:10] | – Causing trouble? – No. No. | -惹了麻烦吗 -不 不 |
[25:11] | A customer made a complaint about her and she had to go. | 有个顾客投诉了 所以她不得不离开 |
[25:15] | – As I said, causing trouble. – I’m afraid that is the problem | -我就说 惹了麻烦 -恐怕这就是关键 |
[25:20] | with people like her | 像她这样的人 |
[25:22] | They’re always going to make employers uneasy. | 她们总是会让雇主不满 |
[25:27] | When was this? When was she asked to leave? | 这是什么时候 她什么时候被要求离开的 |
[25:30] | At the end of January last year. | 去年的一月末 |
[25:36] | Darling? | 亲爱的 |
[25:41] | What did she look like? | 她长什么样 |
[25:48] | I have a photograph of her, if you’d like to see. | 我有一张她的照片 如果你想看的话 |
[25:58] | What is it, Sheila? | 怎么了 希拉 |
[26:06] | It was, um, me. | 那个顾客是 我 |
[26:08] | I…complained about her. | 是我 投诉了她 |
[26:12] | Why did you complain about her, Miss Birling? | 你为什么要投诉她 伯灵小姐 |
[26:14] | If my daughter complained, | 如果我女儿投诉了她 |
[26:16] | she’d have had good reason to. | 就一定有足够的理由 |
[26:17] | -Yes. – I didn’t, I… | -对 -我没有 我 |
[26:20] | I didn’t have a good reason to. | 我并没有很好的理由 |
[26:24] | I…I was in a bad mood, I… | 我 我当时心情很差 我 |
[26:28] | I had wanted to go shopping on my own, that’s all. | 我想一个人购物 就是这样 |
[26:33] | – It wouldn’t be right at all. – Yes, you’ve said that. | -你穿这件不好看 -好的 你说过了 |
[26:36] | That sort of shape would look much better on a… | 这个样式穿在不同体型的人身上 |
[26:39] | a different sort of figure. | 会好看很多 |
[26:43] | It’s all very well trying to follow the latest fashions, | 努力跟紧潮流并没有错 |
[26:46] | but one has to know what suits one’s shape. | 但是你得知道什么才适合你的体型 |
[26:49] | That’s something you’ll learn as you go along. | 你慢慢就会懂了 |
[26:50] | I don’t need a lecture on style. | 我不需要你教我什么时尚 |
[26:54] | Kindly keep your voice down. | 请你小点声 |
[26:57] | Mummy, please can I look around on my own for a while? | 妈妈 我能自己单独逛会吗 |
[27:00] | We could meet up again in… half an hour, shall we say? | 我们可以半小时后汇合 怎么样 |
[27:04] | Do you need any assistance, Mrs Birling? | 请问您需要协助吗 伯灵女士 |
[27:07] | Not at present, Miss Francis. | 现在不需要 弗朗西斯小姐 |
[27:08] | I’ve been admiring this. | 我喜欢这件 |
[27:10] | Yes. It’s lovely, isn’t it? | 对 很漂亮 对吧 |
[27:12] | A new design – just in. | 新设计 刚到的 |
[27:14] | I was just saying, it’s not the right shape for my daughter. | 我刚刚才说 这不适合我女儿的体型 |
[27:18] | Oh… I think it would suit me. | 我觉得很适合我 |
[27:21] | You, girl? | 你 姑娘 |
[27:24] | Come here, would you? | 能过来一下吗 |
[27:40] | Do you see? | 看到了吗 |
[27:43] | It is not an easy style to carry off. | 这不是个能轻松驾驭的款式 |
[27:45] | It’s a question of bearing. | 是仪态的问题 |
[27:50] | I’d like to try it on. | 我想穿上试试 |
[27:56] | Yes, of course, miss. | 可以 当然可以 小姐 |
[28:01] | Don’t stay, Mummy. There’s really no need. | 别待在这 妈妈 真的没有必要 |
[28:04] | I’ll be downstairs. | 那我去楼下了 |
[28:08] | Send for me if you need me. | 如果有需要 就叫我 |
[28:13] | It was embarrassing. | 当时气氛很尴尬 |
[28:17] | I felt as if everybody was watching. | 我感觉大家都在看我 |
[28:25] | It looks lovely, miss. | 很好看 小姐 |
[28:26] | Hm…does it? I’m not sure the colour’s right. | 真的吗 我不确定颜色合不合适 |
[28:31] | What are you smiling at? | 你在笑什么 |
[28:33] | I…I wasn’t. I was only… | 我 我没有 我只是 |
[28:34] | You were sniggering. I’m not blind. | 你刚刚在偷笑 我不瞎 |
[28:35] | I’m sure she wasn’t, Miss Birling… | 我确定她没有 伯灵小姐 |
[28:37] | I’m some sort of cause for amusement, am I? | 我就是个笑柄 对吗 |
[28:39] | – No. Of course not. – Miss Birling… | -不 当然不是 -伯灵小姐 |
[28:41] | I’d like to see the manager, please. | 我要见经理 麻烦你 |
[28:42] | – I’m sure she didn’t mean… – Now. Please. | -我确定她没有这个意思 -现在 |
[28:45] | Yes, miss. I’ll go and find him at once. | 好的 小姐 我马上去找他 |
[28:55] | I’ll do it. | 我会投诉的 |
[28:59] | I really wasn’t laughing, miss. I would never… | 我真的没有笑 小姐 我绝不会 |
[29:00] | Be quiet. You’ve done enough already. | 闭嘴吧 你干的好事已经够多了 |
[29:06] | The manager came and… | 经理来了 然后 |
[29:10] | And what? | 然后怎么了 |
[29:13] | And, well, he tried to smooth things over, but… | 他想把事情捋清楚 但是 |
[29:18] | ..I said that if I found the girl | 我说如果下次我进这家店 |
[29:20] | in the shop the next time I went in, | 发现那个女孩还在店里的话 |
[29:22] | I’d tell my father to close our account immediately, | 我就让我爸爸立刻销户 |
[29:25] | and we’d take our business elsewhere. | 把生意转到别家去 |
[29:29] | And so he dismissed her? | 所以他解雇了她 |
[29:31] | Well, not in front of me, but… | 不是当我面解雇的 但是 |
[29:34] | yes, I suppose he did. | 对 我估计他这么干了 |
[29:36] | I never saw her after that. | 在那之后我再没见过她 |
[29:38] | I’m sorry. I’m so, so sorry… | 我很抱歉 我真的 真的很抱歉 |
[29:40] | You don’t have to apologise to anyone. | 你不需要向任何人道歉 |
[29:42] | I was sorry even as I did it. I… | 我很抱歉我那么做了 我 |
[29:45] | I don’t know why I did it. | 我都不知道自己为什么要这样 |
[29:47] | You did it because you were jealous of her. | 你这么做是因为你嫉妒她 |
[29:55] | Yes. That was part of it. | 没错 有部分原因 |
[29:59] | Yes. She was…so pretty. | 对 她特别漂亮 |
[30:02] | She seemed so sure of herself. | 她看起来如此自信 |
[30:06] | I’d…I’d never do it again. Not to anyone. | 我再也不会这么做了 无论是对谁 |
[30:10] | It’s all right now. | 现在没事了 |
[30:13] | It certainly was… | 这的确 |
[30:16] | ..unfortunate. | 非常不幸 |
[30:17] | Oh, just say it, Gerald! It was a horrible thing to do. | 承认吧 杰拉德 做这事很可怕 |
[30:19] | Horrible. I suppose you’ve never | 很可怕 我估计你从来没有做过什么 |
[30:21] | – done anything you regret. – I wasn’t criticising you. | -让你后悔的事 -我不是在批评你 |
[30:25] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[30:26] | Well, I say it’s a bloody shame. | 要我说 真可惜啊 |
[30:28] | – She must have loved our family. – You be quiet! | -她一定很爱我们家 -你给我闭嘴 |
[30:31] | I wonder if she made the connection between… | 我想知道她是否搞明白了关系 |
[30:35] | I expect you’re going tell me I’m involved with it too? | 我估计你现在会说 我也被牵扯进去了 |
[30:38] | I’ve noticed them giving me | 我注意到在米尔沃茨 |
[30:40] | a sort of look sometimes at Milwards. | 他们总是用一种眼神看我 |
[30:43] | I suppose… | 我想 |
[30:48] | Oh, why had this to happen? | 怎么会出这种事 |
[30:51] | That’s what I asked myself this afternoon, | 当我今天下午看着那个去世的女孩时 |
[30:53] | when I was looking at that dead girl. Why had this to happen? | 也问了自己这个问题 为什么会发生这种事 |
[30:58] | And then I said to myself, | 然后我告诉自己 |
[30:59] | “Well, we’ll try to understand why it had to happen.” | “我们会尽量理解为什么会发生” |
[31:01] | And that’s why I’m here, | 那就是我到这的原因 |
[31:03] | and why I won’t be going until I know exactly why it happened. | 而且不弄清楚原因 我是不会走的 |
[31:07] | You knew, didn’t you? | 你已经知道了 是吗 |
[31:10] | That it was me. | 投诉的人是我 |
[31:11] | Yes. I thought it probably was, because of something she wrote. | 对 我是这么估计的 因为她写的东西 |
[31:15] | Is that why she did it? | 这就是她为什么自杀的原因吗 |
[31:17] | Then why didn’t you say so from the start? | 那你一开始怎么不说 |
[31:19] | Instead of launching in, upsetting the girl… | 而是虚张声势 吓坏我女儿 |
[31:22] | Is that why she did it? | 这是她为什么自杀的原因吗 |
[31:24] | – Sheila… – I want to know. | -希拉 -我想知道 |
[31:25] | Things were extremely difficult for her after she left Milwards. | 在她离开米尔沃茨后 生活变得很困难 |
[31:30] | They couldn’t give her a reference in the light of what happened. | 因为之前的事 没有人给她写推荐信 |
[31:35] | So, after several months of loneliness and near-starvation, | 所以 在几个月的孤独和挨饿之后 |
[31:39] | she decided she had no option but to try something else. | 她意识到别无他法 只有试试别的了 |
[31:45] | So she changed her name. | 所以她改了名字 |
[31:49] | What to? What did she change her name to? | 改成了什么 她把名字改成什么了 |
[31:52] | She changed her name to Daisy Renton. | 她把名字改成了黛西·兰顿 |
[31:56] | What? | 什么 |
[31:57] | I said, she changed her name to Daisy Renton. | 我是说 她把名字改成了黛西·兰顿 |
[32:07] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[32:08] | May I get myself a whisky? | 我能喝杯威士忌吗 |
[32:10] | Of course. | 当然 |
[32:21] | You knew her, didn’t you? | 你认识她 对吗 |
[32:23] | – Leave him be a moment. – Gerald? | -让他静一静 -杰拉德 |
[32:27] | How did you know her? | 你是怎么认识她的 |
[32:41] | I, um… | 我 |
[32:44] | Eric, go and ask your mother to come in here. | 埃里克 去把你妈妈叫进来吧 |
[32:46] | I want to talk to Gerald alone. Except for the inspector. | 我想单独和杰拉德谈谈 除了探长 |
[32:50] | He can stay. | 他可以留下 |
[32:50] | Whatever needs to be said, I’d rather it was said in front of me. | 不管要说些什么 我宁愿当着我的面说 |
[32:54] | Will you go, Eric?! | 你能张口吗 埃里克 |
[33:05] | Eric, is he still here, this inspector, whoever he is? | 埃里克 他还在那吗 那个探长 不管他是谁 |
[33:09] | – Yes. Yes. – Where’s Sheila? | -是的 还在 -希拉在哪 |
[33:11] | A girl’s died, suicide. | 一个女孩死了 是自杀 |
[33:13] | Answer the question! | 回答我的问题 |
[33:16] | Arthur, what is going on? | 亚瑟 到底怎么了 |
[33:20] | If you’re so afraid to tell me, it can only mean one thing. | 你这么害怕告诉我 那只意味着一种情况 |
[33:25] | I’m not afraid. | 我没有害怕 |
[33:26] | I’m not a child. I’d rather have the truth. | 我不是个孩子 我宁愿知道真相 |
[33:34] | And now it seems that Gerald has had dealings with her too. | 现在看来杰拉德貌似和那个女孩也有什么纠葛 |
[33:39] | What do you mean? What sort of dealings? | 你这是什么意思 什么样的纠葛 |
[33:42] | He hasn’t said yet. | 他还没说 |
[33:46] | Well, I think this has gone on long enough. | 我觉得这事已经弄得够久的了 |
[33:50] | I think we need to give them a moment. | 我觉得我们要给他点时间 |
[33:52] | – No. This is supposed to be their – engagement party… – I know that… | -不 这本该是他们的订婚派对 -我知道 |
[33:55] | – I can’t believe you’ve left them in there. – Sybil… | -我不敢相信你把他们丢那了 -西比尔 |
[33:58] | I asked you a question, Mr Croft, | 我问了你一个问题 考夫特先生 |
[34:01] | and I want you to answer it. | 我想让你回答 |
[34:02] | Look, I will answer it, but I… | 听着 我会回答的 但是我 |
[34:04] | I don’t think this is the right time or… | 我不认为这是个合适的时机或是 |
[34:07] | Well, that’s for me to decide. | 那是由我来决定的 |
[34:08] | When and where did you first meet her? | 你是何时何地第一次遇见她的 |
[34:18] | It was in the bar at the Palace Variety Theatre. | 是在宫廷综艺剧场酒吧 |
[34:22] | I happened to look in one night. | 有一天晚上我碰巧进去看了看 |
[34:24] | I wasn’t intending to stay long. | 我没有打算待太久 |
[34:26] | Whisky, please. | 威士忌 谢谢 |
[34:54] | Alderman Meggarty. | 市议员麦格蒂 |
[34:58] | – Yes? – Gerald Croft. | -怎么了 -杰拉德·考夫特. |
[35:01] | We met at the Masonic Dinner last year. | 我们去年在共济会晚宴上见过 |
[35:04] | Ah, yes. | 啊 是的 |
[35:06] | I think my father, Lord Croft, introduced us. | 我记得家父 考夫特勋爵介绍我们认识的 |
[35:10] | Yes. Happen he did. | 对 他是介绍过 |
[35:12] | You’ve been looking after my girl for me, I see. | 我看到你一直在帮我照顾女朋友 |
[35:15] | I’m indebted to you. | 我欠你个人情 |
[35:16] | I’m so sorry I’m late, darling. | 很抱歉我来晚了 亲爱的 |
[35:19] | Ready to go? | 准备好出发了吗 |
[35:22] | Yes. | 对 |
[35:23] | I hope to see you soon, and thank you, again. | 期待下次见面 再次表示感谢 |
[35:28] | Goodnight. | 晚安 |
[35:29] | Goodnight to you too. | 你也晚安 |
[35:37] | Please forgive me. I’m afraid that was the most shocking liberty. | 请原谅我 刚刚怕不是吓到你了 |
[35:40] | No, no. It was… | 不不 那是 |
[35:41] | I just… I could never bear to see a damsel in distress. | 我只是 我从来不能忍受姑娘深陷危难 |
[35:44] | It was very kind of you, sir. | 先生 你人真好 |
[35:46] | Was it? | 真的吗 |
[35:48] | Good. | 很好 |
[35:50] | Well, shall we have a drink by way of an apology? | 我们能喝一杯 聊表歉意吗 |
[35:53] | You don’t need to apologise. | 你不必道歉 |
[35:55] | By way of celebration, then? Our escape from the beast. | 那就算庆祝了 我们虎口脱险 |
[36:04] | You’re unwell. | 你不舒服 |
[36:06] | No, no, I’m… | 不不 我是 |
[36:08] | God, you poor thing. | 天哪 可怜的小东西 |
[36:10] | It’s only because I haven’t had any… | 只是因为我没有 |
[36:12] | I’ll be all right in a moment. | 我过会就好了 |
[36:14] | Take your time. | 慢慢来 |
[36:19] | – Sorry. – Don’t be silly. | -抱歉 -别傻了 |
[36:22] | Would you let me buy you dinner? | 我能请你吃晚餐吗 |
[36:26] | I haven’t eaten myself, as it happens, | 实际上 我自己也还没吃 |
[36:29] | and I have a table booked at the County Hotel. | 我在郡县酒店有预定 |
[36:33] | I’d rather not eat alone. | 我不想一个人吃饭 |
[36:34] | Please. It’s quiet there, and respectable. | 来吧 那里很安静 也很体面 |
[36:41] | What do you say? | 你怎么说 |
[36:48] | She relaxed a little after she’d had something to eat. | 吃了点东西之后 她稍微放松了点 |
[36:52] | Told me a little bit about herself. | 跟我说了点她自己的事 |
[36:57] | I asked her why she’d gone to the Palace Bar. | 我问她为什么会去宫廷酒吧 |
[37:00] | She said it was the first time she’d ever been there… | 她说那是她第一次去 |
[37:04] | ..which is what I’d suspected. | 我很怀疑 |
[37:06] | Did she know what sort of place it was? | 她知道那是什么地方吗 |
[37:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[37:14] | – Someone had told her. But… – She was desperate. | -有人告诉她了 但是 -她很绝望 |
[37:19] | Yes. | 对 |
[37:20] | Yes, she really was. | 对 她真的很绝望 |
[37:21] | She was about to be thrown out of her lodgings | 她快要被赶出去了 |
[37:24] | a rotten place, apparently, but she couldn’t pay the rent and… | 是个很烂的地方 但她还是付不起房租 |
[37:34] | Go on, please, Mr Croft. | 请继续 考夫特先生 |
[37:38] | Well, it happened that a friend of mine… | 碰巧我的一个朋友 |
[37:43] | ..had just gone abroad for six months. | 六个月前出国了 |
[37:47] | And left me the keys to a nice little set of rooms he has in town. | 把他在镇上一套不错的公寓钥匙留给了我 |
[37:51] | And I suggested she go and stay there, until she found her feet. | 我建议她在找到落脚点前住在那里 |
[37:56] | It… | 这 |
[37:59] | It made her cry. | 这让她哭了 |
[38:02] | My kindness, she said. | 她说 是因为我的善意 |
[38:06] | She was so unused to it. | 她真的很不习惯 |
[38:11] | Did you take her there that evening? | 那晚你把她带去那了吗 |
[38:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[38:19] | So…do you think you’ll be all right, Miss Renton? | 所以 你觉得你没事了吗 兰顿小姐 |
[38:24] | Daisy. | 黛西 |
[38:26] | Yes, I think I will. | 是的 我觉得没事了 |
[38:30] | I feel like Goldilocks. | 我觉得自己就像金凤花姑娘 |
[38:32] | What’s that? | 什么 |
[38:33] | Um…are you sure your friend won’t come back? | 你确定你的朋友不会回来吗 |
[38:36] | Absolutely sure. Trust me. | 我确定 相信我 |
[38:46] | To, um…to tide you over. | 好好打理下自己 |
[38:52] | I’ll, um…I’ll pay you back. Thank you. | 我 我会还你钱的 谢谢 |
[38:56] | Well… …any complaints, Miss, | 如果有任何不满 小姐 |
[38:59] | just call for the management. | 就叫经理 |
[39:01] | She laughs | 她笑了 |
[39:05] | I’ll come by tomorrow after work, if that’s all right with you? | 如果你觉得没问题的话 我明天下班后过来 |
[39:08] | Yes. | 好的 |
[39:11] | If you’re not here, don’t worry. I’ll… | 如果你不在这 别担心 我 |
[39:14] | I’ll try again later. | 我会之后再来 |
[39:20] | Well, um… | 那 |
[39:24] | ..goodnight. | 晚安 |
[39:27] | Goodnight. | 晚安 |
[40:09] | And did you go back the following evening? | 你第二晚也过去了吗 |
[40:14] | Yes. | 对 |
[40:17] | – Did you stay? – Steady on. | -你留下了吗 -等等 |
[40:19] | Of course he did. | 他当然会留下了 |
[40:21] | She became your mistress, did she? | 她后来成了你的情人 是吧 |
[40:29] | Yes. | 对 |
[40:32] | It…it wasn’t what I intended to happen. | 那 那不是我的本意 |
[40:36] | I hope you can see that. | 我希望你能明白这一点 |
[40:39] | I wanted to help her more than anything else. | 我只是想尽我所能帮助她 |
[40:43] | How disgusting! | 真是令人作呕 |
[40:44] | No. | 不是 |
[40:46] | No, Mrs Birling, forgive me, but it wasn’t. | 不是的 伯灵夫人 原谅我 但不是这样的 |
[40:50] | Look, it may have been wrong, but it wasn’t disgusting. | 也许那是个错误 但是绝不令人作呕 |
[40:55] | When was this? | 这是什么时候的事 |
[40:59] | Last summer. | 去年夏天 |
[41:02] | Of course. | 当然是了 |
[41:03] | You hardly came near me last summer. | 去年夏天几乎没来找过我 |
[41:05] | I thought I’d done something to drive you away. | 我以为是我做错了什么让你疏远了我 |
[41:08] | – Sheila… – You told me you were busy at the works. | -希拉 -你说是你工作繁忙 |
[41:10] | – I was. That… – You told me that so many times. | -我确实忙啊 -你说了那么多次 |
[41:12] | Yes, that was true, I was busy. | 我说的是真的 我那时的确忙 |
[41:14] | Very busy, but… | 特别忙 可是 |
[41:14] | Did you love her? | 你爱她吗 |
[41:16] | Yes. That’s just what I was going to ask. Did you love her? | 对 我正要问呢 你爱她吗 |
[41:38] | Look…I didn’t feel as strongly for her as she felt about me. | 听着 她对我的感觉比我对她的要深 |
[41:42] | Oh, of course, you were her wonderful Fairy Prince. | 当然了 你是她完美的白马王子 |
[41:46] | She was dependent on me. So grateful. | 她特别依赖我 特别感激我 |
[41:49] | You must have adored it. | 你肯定很享受吧 |
[41:50] | Well, yes, all right, I did. For a time. | 对 没错 好吧 确实有段时间是的 |
[41:53] | Nearly any man would have done. | 所有的男人都会这样的 |
[41:58] | I think that’s the best thing you’ve said tonight. | 我觉得这是你今天晚上说的最好的一句话 |
[42:01] | At least it’s honest. | 至少很诚实 |
[42:09] | God… | 天啊 |
[42:12] | God, I’m sorry. | 天啊 我真抱歉 |
[42:15] | It’s just, um… | 只是 |
[42:23] | ..thinking she’s really dead. | 一想到她真的去世了 |
[42:27] | When did it end, Mr Croft? | 那是什么时候结束的呢 考夫特先生 |
[42:34] | In September. | 九月份 |
[42:37] | We both knew it couldn’t go on indefinitely. | 我们都清楚我俩不会持久的 |
[42:39] | And in September I had to go away on business for a few weeks. | 九月份我需要出差几周 |
[42:44] | I suggested that we use the time to finish it. | 我提议我们用这段时间做了结 |
[42:46] | How did she take that? | 那她什么反应 |
[42:50] | Better than I’d hoped. | 比我预想的要好 |
[42:54] | She was very gallant about it. | 她面对结束很有勇气 |
[42:56] | Oh…how nice for you. | 哦 便宜你了 |
[42:59] | I’d given her some money. | 我给了她一些钱 |
[43:00] | Enough to see her through to the end of the year. | 足够她撑到年底 |
[43:04] | And…when I got back from my trip she’d moved out of the rooms. | 然后 当我出差回来后她已经搬走了 |
[43:10] | I never saw her again. | 从此我再也没看见她 |
[43:12] | Well, that’s something. A clean break. | 真有你的 直接了断 |
[43:16] | So, you’d had what you wanted from her, | 所以从她那得到了你想要的 |
[43:18] | and you cast her aside. | 然后就把她抛弃了 |
[43:20] | – It didn’t feel like that. – Didn’t it? | -感觉不是这样的 -是吗 |
[43:25] | Do you know where she went? | 你知道她去哪了吗 |
[43:27] | She went away for two months to a place by the sea to be quiet. | 她去了海边 清净了两个月 |
[43:36] | To remember all that had happened between you. | 回忆着你们俩之间发生的一切 |
[43:58] | To make it last longer. | 试图延长这感觉 |
[43:59] | How can you possibly know that? | 你怎么可能知道这些 |
[44:02] | She kept a diary. | 她写了日记 |
[44:06] | She wrote that she feared | 她写道她担心 |
[44:08] | there’d never be anything as good for her ever again. | 她再也不会有比这更好的经历了 |
[44:15] | Well, if that was her idea of good, | 如果这就是她对好的定义 |
[44:18] | I’m afraid there was no hope for her. | 恐怕她是没救了 |
[44:22] | Mother, don’t. | 母亲 别这么说 |
[44:24] | My husband has told me what was said | 我丈夫告诉我了 |
[44:26] | earlier this evening, Inspector…? | 之前的事情 探长 |
[44:29] | Er, Goole. | 叫我古尔就行 |
[44:31] | And I must say I am rather outraged | 我必须承认我有点生气 |
[44:33] | that you are trying to lay the blame | 你想在我们家里 |
[44:35] | for this situation at our door. | 为了这个事情责怪我们 |
[44:38] | With girls of that class, one can never really know | 那个阶层的女孩 谁又知道 |
[44:41] | what kind of trouble they’ve created for themselves. | 她们到底给自己惹了些什么麻烦呢 |
[44:44] | Stop it! | 别说了 |
[44:46] | I think I need to, um… | 我觉得我得 |
[44:48] | step out for a moment, if that’s all right. | 出去一会儿 如果可以的话 |
[44:51] | Yes. I’ve finished with you for the time being, Mr Croft. | 好的 我暂时不会找你了 考夫特先生 |
[45:07] | wait. | 等一下 |
[45:27] | I don’t dislike you. | 我没有不喜欢你 |
[45:30] | And in some odd way | 从某种奇怪角度 |
[45:31] | I think I respect you more than I’ve ever done. | 我觉得我比以往更尊敬你 |
[45:35] | I believe what you said | 我相信你所说的 |
[45:37] | about wanting to help her in the first place. | 最开始真的想要帮助她 |
[45:39] | And it was my fault, really, that she was so desperate. | 是我的错 她当时真的很绝望 |
[45:42] | But… | 但是 |
[45:44] | ..this has made a difference, hasn’t it? | 这件事使一切都不同了 是不是 |
[45:47] | Yes. | 是 |
[45:53] | Sheila… | 希拉 |
[45:55] | I’m not defending him, but, um… | 我不是为他辩解 但是 |
[45:59] | the fact is… | 事实上 |
[46:01] | – young men… – Gerald knows what I mean. | -年轻的男人 -杰拉德懂我的意思 |
[46:07] | Yes. I do. | 是的 我知道 |
[46:26] | I…I need to go. | 我得走了 |
[46:28] | You stay put. | 你别动 |
[46:31] | May I see the photograph, Inspector? | 我能看看照片吗 探长 |
[46:35] | No, not yet. | 不 现在还不行 |
[46:40] | Eric, you stay here! | 埃里克 你在这待着 |
[46:45] | You needn’t worry. He’ll be back. | 你们不用担心 他会回来的 |
[46:47] | We don’t need you to reassure us about our son, Inspector. | 我们不用你为我们的儿子做担保 探长 |
[47:22] | Would you like to see the photograph of the girl, Mrs Birling? | 你想要看那女孩的照片吗 伯灵太太 |
[47:25] | No. I wouldn’t. | 不 我不想 |
[47:28] | I can’t think of any reason why I should. | 我想不出我为什么要看 |
[47:30] | I really think you ought to look. | 我真觉得你应该看看 |
[47:34] | Very well. | 那好吧 |
[47:40] | Recognise her? | 认出她了吗 |
[47:42] | No, I don’t. | 没 不认识 |
[47:45] | Well, she might have changed lately, | 她可能最近变化有点大 |
[47:46] | but I can’t believe she could have changed that much. | 但是我觉得变化也没那么大吧 |
[47:49] | I don’t know what you mean. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[47:51] | I mean that you’re not telling me the truth. | 我是说你没在说真话 |
[47:54] | Look, I’m not going to have this. | 这我不能容忍了 |
[47:57] | You apologise to my wife! | 你得向我妻子道歉 |
[47:59] | For what? Doing my duty? | 为什么 因为我尽我所责吗 |
[48:02] | For being so offensive about it. | 因为你冒犯了我们 |
[48:05] | You seem to forget that I am a public man. | 你似乎忘了我是个公众人物 |
[48:08] | Public men have responsibilities as well as privileges. | 公众人物有特权的同时也有职责 |
[48:13] | Possibly. | 可能吧 |
[48:14] | But I’m quite sure you weren’t sent here | 可我确定你来这 |
[48:16] | to talk to me about responsibility. | 不是为了跟我讨论职责的吧 |
[48:18] | Oh, don’t you realise how ridiculous you seem? | 你没意识到你有多荒谬吗 |
[48:21] | What on earth…? | 你说什么 |
[48:22] | Putting on airs. Both of you. | 事不关己高高挂起 你们俩 |
[48:23] | Pretending that we’re above all this | 装作我们跟这个事毫无关系 |
[48:25] | when we’re not. We’re really not. | 但不是 真的不是 |
[48:26] | – We’re up to our necks in it. – Be quiet at once! | -我们跟这个事息息相关 -你闭嘴吧 |
[48:29] | Tell him the truth, Mummy. Please. | 告诉他真相 妈妈 求你了 |
[48:32] | He’ll make you tell it anyway. Don’t you see? | 不管怎样他都会让你说的 还不明白吗 |
[48:37] | You seem to have made | 你似乎给这个姑娘 |
[48:38] | a very great impression on this girl, Inspector. | 留下了很深的印象啊 探长 |
[48:40] | Yes. Yes, we often do on the young ones. | 是的 我们经常给年轻人的印象不错 |
[48:46] | Mrs Birling, you’re a member, a prominent member, | 伯灵女士 你是布鲁姆利妇女 |
[48:50] | of the Brumley Women’s Charity Organisation, aren’t you? | 慈善组织的会员 并且是杰出会员 对吧 |
[48:57] | Yes, she is. | 对 她是 |
[48:59] | Why? | 怎么了 |
[49:01] | It’s an organisation to which women in distress | 那是一个采用各种方式 |
[49:04] | can appeal for help in various forms. Is that so? | 来帮助困难女性的组织 是吧 |
[49:08] | Yes. We’ve done a great deal of work helping deserving causes. | 是的 我们为有意义的事业做了很多工作 |
[49:14] | Yeah. There was a meeting of the interviewing committee two weeks ago. | 是啊 两周前面试委员会有一次会议 |
[49:19] | You were in the chair, I believe. | 我相信 你是其中一员 |
[49:20] | And if I was? | 是又怎么样 |
[49:33] | Why are you crying? | 你为什么哭 |
[49:36] | I…I shouldn’t have done that. | 我不应该这么做的 |
[49:41] | I thought you were at the bar because… | 我以为你在酒吧是因为 |
[49:44] | – I thought… – It doesn’t make any difference. | -我以为 -这并不会改变什么 |
[49:48] | It had to happen. It might as well have been now. | 终归要发生的 还不如就是现在 |
[49:54] | Oh, don’t say that. | 别这么说 |
[49:57] | Please, God, don’t say that. | 求你了 天哪 别这么说 |
[50:06] | What’s your name? | 你叫什么名字 |
[50:09] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[50:14] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[50:22] | This girl in the photograph, the girl you don’t recognise, | 照片上你没认出来的女孩 |
[50:25] | she came to you and asked your organisation for help, didn’t she? | 她找了你 向你的组织求助了 是吧 |
[50:38] | Didn’t she? | 是不是 |
[50:41] | Yes. | 对 |
[50:42] | Mother… Is this true? | 妈妈 是真的吗 |
[50:45] | Not as Eva Smith. Nor as Daisy Renton. | 不是用伊娃·史密斯 也不是黛西·兰顿的名字 |
[50:49] | – No. – As what? | -不是 -用的什么名字 |
[50:52] | Mrs Birling. | 伯灵夫人 |
[50:56] | She pretended afterwards that Mrs Birling just happened to be | 后来她假装称伯灵夫人 |
[51:00] | the first name she’d thought of. | 是她第一个想到的名字 |
[51:02] | It might have been. | 有可能的 |
[51:04] | She might have heard it mentioned whilst she was waiting and… | 可能是她在等待时听谁提过这个名字 |
[51:06] | Damned impudence. | 真是厚颜无耻 |
[51:07] | She admitted, once I began questioning her, | 我一问她 她就承认了 |
[51:09] | that she had no claim on the name whatsoever, | 她没有想要这个名字的名分 |
[51:12] | that she was not married at all, | 她根本没有结过婚 |
[51:14] | and that the story she came in with, | 她来的时候讲的那个 |
[51:16] | of a husband who’d deserted her, was quite false. | 被自己丈夫抛弃的故事 没有多少真实性 |
[51:21] | It didn’t take me long | 我没有花多长时间 |
[51:22] | to get the truth, or some of the truth, out of her. | 就从她身上得到了真相 至少是一部分 |
[51:26] | Now, let’s start again. | 现在 我们从头来 |
[51:30] | What’s your name? | 你叫什么名字 |
[51:35] | Alice…Grey. | 爱丽丝·格蕾 |
[51:40] | And why have you come to us for help, Miss Grey? | 为什么你要向我们求助呢 格蕾小姐 |
[51:43] | – I don’t have any money. – Please speak up. | -我没有钱了 -请大声点 |
[51:47] | I don’t have any money. | 我没有钱了 |
[51:49] | Are you looking for work? Actively? | 你想找份工作吗 主动地 |
[51:52] | I was, but… | 我原是想的 但是 |
[51:56] | And what was the truth? Why did she want your help? | 到底是为什么 她为什么需要你的帮助 |
[52:01] | I think you know very well why she wanted help. | 我觉得你明知故问 |
[52:06] | I’m going to have a baby. | 我怀孕了 |
[52:12] | I see. | 明白了 |
[52:15] | And who is the father of this child? | 孩子的父亲是谁 |
[52:20] | I’d rather not say. | 我不太想说 |
[52:23] | – Does he know of your condition? – Yes. | -那他知道你的情况吗 -知道 |
[52:26] | Then it’s his business to support you. | 那支持你就是他的职责 |
[52:30] | Well, he doesn’t have any money. | 他也没有钱 |
[52:33] | Not…really. He’s very young. He drinks too much… | 他很年轻 还酗酒 |
[52:36] | That’s no excuse. He’s old enough to have done what he’s done. | 那不是理由 他够大了 该承担后果了 |
[52:40] | He did want to help. He, um… | 他确实想帮忙 但是 |
[52:42] | started giving me money, but then I realised he was stealing it. | 他开始给我钱 但后来我意识到那是偷来的 |
[52:46] | I told him not to any more. | 我让他别再偷了 |
[52:48] | I don’t want him to get into trouble. He’s sweet, really… | 我不想让他惹麻烦 他人真的很好 |
[52:52] | That’s enough. | 够了 |
[52:55] | Given your present state, | 照你现在的状况 |
[52:57] | I find it hard to believe in your extraordinary scruples. | 我觉得我很难相信你非同寻常的顾忌 |
[53:00] | They’re not extraordinary. I mean… | 不是非同寻常 我是说 |
[53:03] | – I was raised to do my best by people… – One moment. | -我从小被教育要尽力而为 -等一下 |
[53:08] | I don’t see that we can assist in this case. | 我不觉得她需要任何帮助 |
[53:11] | I’m afraid I agree. | 我同意 |
[53:12] | There are too many discrepancies, apart from anything else. | 她讲的事太多对不上的了 |
[53:15] | Agreed. | 同意 |
[53:16] | Miss Grey. I’m afraid we won’t be able to help you. | 格蕾小姐 我们恐怕不能帮助你 |
[53:20] | I suggest you go and find this young man | 我建议你去找那个男人 |
[53:24] | and that the two of you marry | 你们俩结婚 |
[53:26] | and that you bring up your child together. | 然后一起把孩子抚养大 |
[53:29] | We can’t marry. He… | 我们结不了婚 他 |
[53:31] | We are not of the same…class. | 我们不是同一个 阶层的 |
[53:34] | – It wouldn’t work… – You must make it work. | -行不通的 -必须行得通 |
[53:39] | Well, is…that it? | 就这样了吗 |
[53:44] | You’re supposed to be the ones that help. | 你们不应该帮助我吗 |
[53:46] | What is all this if you don’t really want to help? | 如果你们不是真的想帮助 那还有什么意义 |
[53:49] | You’ve heard our decision. | 你听到我们的决定了 |
[53:55] | Next. Come forward, please. | 下一个 请上前 |
[54:03] | Good day to you, Miss Grey. | 祝你安好 格蕾小姐 |
[54:10] | – Your name is? – Mary Kelly, Ma’am. | -你叫什么 -玛丽·凯里 夫人 |
[54:13] | And why are you here? | 为什么来这 |
[54:15] | I’ve been thrown out of my lodgings, | 我被赶出来了 |
[54:17] | Ma’am. I can’t pay the rent… | 夫人 我付不起房租 |
[54:30] | She was pregnant? | 她当时有孕在身吗 |
[54:31] | Yes. | 是的 |
[54:34] | Yet she still… | 然而她却 |
[54:39] | I can’t…I can’t bear it. | 不 我听不下去了 |
[54:42] | Perhaps now you people will understand | 或许现在你们能够彻底明白 |
[54:44] | exactly how desperate she’d become. | 她当时有多么绝望 |
[54:52] | How pregnant was she? I mean… | 她怀孕多久了 我是说 |
[54:55] | About three months. | 差不多三个月 |
[55:03] | At least it wasn’t yours. | 至少不是你的孩子 |
[55:10] | Well, I think it says | 我认为可以说是 |
[55:12] | something about the character of the girl… | 这女孩性格的原因 |
[55:14] | that she took her own life… | 导致她轻生 |
[55:20] | ..knowing that she… | 当她得知自己 |
[55:24] | If you ask me, I think it was an extremely cowardly act. | 要我说的话 这完全是一种懦夫的行为 |
[55:27] | Steady on, Sybil. | 冷静点 西比尔 |
[55:28] | I’m entitled to my opinion. | 我有资格坚持我的想法 |
[55:31] | Yes, but… | 没错 但是 |
[55:34] | Oh, damn it! | 该死 |
[55:39] | This isn’t going to look good for us. | 这件事对我们可没什么好处 |
[55:43] | The press will have a field day. | 媒体知道的话可要开心死了 |
[55:48] | I wish you’d… | 我希望你们当时 |
[55:49] | helped the girl, you know. | 能帮助那女孩 你知道 |
[55:51] | – Really? Really? – Yes! | -是吗 真的吗 -没错 |
[55:53] | I wasn’t the one who put her out of a job in the first place. | 最开始开除她的人可不是我 |
[55:56] | I did my duty. No more or less. | 我履行了自己的职责 不多也不少 |
[55:59] | You still don’t feel sorry for what you did, Mrs Birling? | 你还是没觉得抱歉吗 伯灵夫人 |
[56:02] | No, I do not. | 对 我没觉得 |
[56:05] | I’m sorry she died, naturally, | 我对她的死感到很抱歉 这是自然 |
[56:08] | but I don’t accept any blame for it at all. | 但我不会接受由此而来的任何责难 |
[56:11] | Who is to blame, then? | 那究竟该怪谁呢 |
[56:12] | Well, firstly, the girl herself! | 首先 当然是那女孩自己 |
[56:14] | And secondly, the young man who got her into trouble. | 其次 把她卷入这些麻烦的那个年轻人 |
[56:18] | And if, as she claims, | 如果就像她说的那样 |
[56:19] | he was of a different class from her, | 那男孩来自另一个阶级 |
[56:21] | some drunken young idler, | 某个醉酒的纨绔子弟 |
[56:23] | then all the more reason why he shouldn’t escape! | 那他就更没有理由逃脱了 |
[56:26] | He should be made an example of. | 他应该被以儆效尤 |
[56:30] | Publicly? | 公开的吗 |
[56:31] | Yes. Publicly. | 没错 公开 |
[56:35] | He should be forced to confront what he’s done. | 应该强迫他面对自己的所作所为 |
[56:38] | Mother… | 母亲 |
[56:38] | And if you don’t mind my saying, | 要是不介意我说的话 |
[56:40] | you should be out looking for him, | 你应该出去找那个男孩子 |
[56:42] | rather than harassing us with unnecessary questions. | 而不是在这里用毫无意义的问题骚扰我们 |
[56:45] | Then you really would be “doing your duty”. | 那样你才是真正的”履行职责” |
[56:49] | Oh, I certainly intend to do my duty, Mrs Birling. | 我确实是在履行自己的职责 伯灵夫人 |
[56:52] | Mother, stop. | 母亲 别说了 |
[56:55] | Surely you can see? | 你肯定看出来了 |
[57:01] | Eric… | 埃里克 |
[57:05] | But Eric’s not… | 但埃里克不是 |
[57:09] | He… | 他 |
[57:16] | He… | 他 |
[57:29] | Show me. | 照片给我看 |
[57:48] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[57:50] | Please. | 拜托 |
[57:58] | You’re so beautiful. | 你真的太美了 |
[58:02] | Can I see you again? | 我可以再看你一次吗 |
[58:08] | Why do you laugh? | 为什么笑 |
[58:12] | That’s not the sort of question you ask a girl like me. | 你不应该问我这种女孩这样的问题 |
[58:17] | Well, I’m asking it. | 但是 我问了 |
[58:21] | I’m asking. | 我在问你 |
[58:34] | When did you first meet the girl? | 你第一次遇到这女孩是什么时候 |
[58:37] | Sarah. | 莎拉 |
[58:39] | Her name was Sarah. | 她叫莎拉 |
[58:42] | A few months ago. | 几个月前 |
[58:45] | November… | 十一月的时候 |
[58:45] | Sybil, I think you should leave. | 西比尔 你可以回避一下 |
[58:47] | You too, Sheila. | 你也是 希拉 |
[58:49] | I’m staying. | 我要留下 |
[58:50] | Where did you meet her? | 你在哪里遇见的她 |
[58:52] | I, um… | 我 |
[58:53] | You went to the Palace Bar, did you? | 你去宫廷酒吧了 是吗 |
[58:56] | And why shouldn’t I have been there? | 我有什么不能去的吗 |
[58:58] | You know, I’m old enough to be married, for God’s sake! | 我已经到了可以结婚的年纪了 老天啊 |
[59:00] | You should have kept your… | 你应该把你的 |
[59:04] | You could have shown some self-control. | 你本应该有些自制力的 |
[59:07] | What, like Gerald, you mean? | 你的意思是像杰拉德一样吗 |
[59:09] | Like all the other men in this town? | 像这镇子上的所有男人一样吗 |
[59:11] | Alderman Meggarty… | 市议员麦格蒂 |
[59:12] | Like you, for all I know. | 据我所知 就像你 |
[59:13] | Shut your mouth! | 闭上你的嘴 |
[59:14] | So, what? You were feeling…restless? | 然后呢 你感觉到 焦躁 |
[59:18] | Frustrated? Lonely? | 觉得沮丧 孤单 |
[59:21] | Yes. | 对 |
[59:22] | So you picked her up and went back to her place? | 所以你就带她去了她的住处吗 |
[59:26] | Yes. Only at that moment… | 对 但在那时 |
[59:28] | she seemed to change her mind. | 她似乎改了主意 |
[59:35] | Go on. | 继续说 |
[59:37] | But I was… | 但我当时 |
[59:38] | I was drunk, and… | 我喝醉了 |
[59:40] | I had to see it through. | 我想要继续下去 |
[59:44] | You were rough with her? | 你对她动粗了 |
[59:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[59:48] | A little, that first time. | 第一次的时候 有一点 |
[59:51] | How many times were there?! | 到底一共有几次 |
[59:55] | Did you think about her, while you were forcing her? | 你强迫她的时候想过她的感受吗 |
[59:57] | I didn’t force her. Not really. | 我没有强迫她 严格来说没有 |
[59:59] | While you were using her? | 那当你使用她吗 |
[1:00:03] | As if she were an animal. | 仿佛她只是一个动物 |
[1:00:06] | A thing. | 一个东西 |
[1:00:07] | Did you think about the implications for her life? | 你想过这会给她的生活带来什么影响吗 |
[1:00:11] | No. | 没有 |
[1:00:21] | You can put that down! | 把酒放下 |
[1:00:22] | That’s done enough damage already. | 喝酒已经惹出够大的乱子了 |
[1:00:24] | Let him have a drink. | 让他喝一杯吧 |
[1:00:27] | On this occasion, let him have a drink. | 鉴于现在的状况 还是让他喝一杯吧 |
[1:00:38] | How often did you see her? | 你多长时间见她一次 |
[1:00:41] | As often as she’d let me. | 只要她允许我就会去 |
[1:00:42] | Paying every time, I presume? | 我估计 每次都付钱吧 |
[1:00:44] | It wasn’t like that. | 不是那样的 |
[1:00:45] | She listened to me. | 她会倾听我说的话 |
[1:00:48] | She helped me. | 她帮助了我 |
[1:00:49] | I’m sure she did. | 那是当然 |
[1:00:50] | I needed her! | 我需要她 |
[1:00:53] | I needed her much more than she needed me. | 我对她的依赖远超于她对我 |
[1:00:57] | When did you realise she was going to have a child? | 你什么时候发现她怀孕了 |
[1:01:02] | About a month ago. | 大约一个月前 |
[1:01:06] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你能来 |
[1:01:08] | What’s wrong? | 出什么事了 |
[1:01:14] | Sarah? | 莎拉 |
[1:01:21] | Did she suggest you ought to marry her? | 她有没有提出你应该娶她 |
[1:01:26] | She didn’t want me to marry her. I…offered… | 她不想要我娶她 是我提出来的 |
[1:01:28] | Oh, Eric. | 天啊 埃里克 |
[1:01:29] | She thought that I didn’t love her. | 她觉得我不爱她 |
[1:01:33] | She said that she didn’t want me to ruin my life. | 她不希望我把自己的生活毁掉 |
[1:01:37] | What did you propose to do? | 你当时打算怎么做 |
[1:01:39] | I didn’t really know what to do. | 我其实不知道究竟该做什么 |
[1:01:42] | I insisted on giving her money. | 我坚持要给她钱 |
[1:01:43] | How much money? | 多少钱 |
[1:01:46] | Um, £50 in all. | 一共50英镑 |
[1:01:48] | £50?! | 50英镑 |
[1:01:50] | Where did you find that on your wages? | 以你的工资哪来这么多钱 |
[1:01:52] | On top of drinking and whoring round the town? | 再加上喝酒 嫖娼 |
[1:01:55] | I got it from the firm. | 我从公司得来的 |
[1:01:57] | I took it from the firm. | 我从公司拿的 |
[1:01:59] | You mean you stole it. | 你是说你偷来的 |
[1:02:01] | I was going to pay it back. | 我本来打算还回去的 |
[1:02:03] | Eric? | 埃里克 |
[1:02:07] | From my safe? | 从我的保险箱里拿的吗 |
[1:02:09] | There were some accounts that needed collecting. | 当时有些账目需要收账 |
[1:02:11] | I went to them and I asked for cash. | 我去找他们要了现金 |
[1:02:13] | Gave them the firm’s receipt and then kept the money. | 你给了他们公司的收据 然后留下了钱 |
[1:02:16] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:02:19] | There was nothing else I could do! | 我没有别的办法了 |
[1:02:21] | You stole from them. | 你偷了钱 |
[1:02:24] | You stole from our clients! | 你从我们的客户那里偷了钱 |
[1:02:27] | Well, maybe if you paid me a decent amount, | 如果你给我的工资要是体面一些 |
[1:02:29] | instead of leaving me short… | 而不是让我不够花 |
[1:02:30] | My fault, now, is it? | 现在是我的错了 是吗 |
[1:02:32] | You damned fool. | 你这该死的蠢货 |
[1:02:34] | Why the hell didn’t you come to me? | 你当时为什么不来找我 |
[1:02:37] | Why do you think?! | 你觉得是为什么呢 |
[1:02:38] | Because you’re not the kind of father a chap can go to | 因为你不是那种孩子陷入麻烦时 |
[1:02:40] | when he’s in trouble. That’s why! | 可以去寻求帮助的父亲 这就是原因 |
[1:02:45] | You know what your problem is? | 你知道你的问题是什么吗 |
[1:02:48] | You’re spoilt. | 你被宠坏了 |
[1:02:50] | Arthur! | 亚瑟 |
[1:02:50] | He’s been spoilt since the day he was born. | 从他出生的那天起就被宠坏了 |
[1:02:54] | With your public school and your… | 你上的公立学校 还有 |
[1:02:57] | varsity ways… | 你参加的校队 |
[1:02:58] | Yes, yes, yes. | 是 是啊 没错 |
[1:02:59] | I’m ruined, aren’t I?! | 我已经被毁了 不是吗 |
[1:03:01] | Stop! | 够了 |
[1:03:06] | I don’t have the time for this. | 我可没时间听这些 |
[1:03:10] | You can sort out your differences when I’m gone. | 等我走了你们再去解决自己的问题 |
[1:03:16] | What did the girl do | 知道你偷了公司的钱后 |
[1:03:17] | when she realised you were stealing the money? | 那女孩做了什么 |
[1:03:21] | She said she wouldn’t take any more. | 她说她不能再接受了 |
[1:03:23] | She asked me to stay away, | 她叫我离她远点 |
[1:03:25] | and I’m a coward, so I did. | 我是个懦夫 所以我离开了 |
[1:03:28] | So she was telling the truth. | 所以她说的都是真的 |
[1:03:33] | Everything she told you was true. | 她告诉你的一切都是真的 |
[1:03:36] | And calling herself Mrs Birling… | 还有称自己为伯灵夫人 |
[1:03:39] | It all makes sense now. | 现在都解释得通了 |
[1:03:41] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[1:03:46] | You spoke to her? | 你跟她谈过吗 |
[1:03:50] | When? Did she come here? | 什么时候 她来过这里吗 |
[1:03:53] | Eric… | 埃里克 |
[1:03:56] | She went to your mother’s committee for help | 两个星期前 她去了你母亲的委员会 |
[1:03:57] | two weeks ago. | 寻求帮助 |
[1:03:58] | Your mother refused that help. | 你母亲拒绝帮助她 |
[1:04:05] | Why? | 为什么 |
[1:04:09] | I didn’t believe her. | 我不相信她 |
[1:04:14] | She needed your help. | 她需要你的帮助 |
[1:04:15] | Yes. I know that now, but… | 我现在知道了 但是 |
[1:04:19] | My child. | 我的孩子 |
[1:04:22] | That was my child. | 那是我的孩子 |
[1:04:24] | I didn’t understand the situation. | 我那时不了解是什么情况 |
[1:04:26] | I didn’t understand. | 我不了解 |
[1:04:35] | How did she die? | 她是怎么去世的 |
[1:04:39] | She took her own life. | 她自杀了 |
[1:04:40] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[1:04:43] | How? | 用什么方式 |
[1:04:44] | She swallowed a large amount of disinfectant. | 她喝了大量的消毒剂 |
[1:04:49] | It burnt her insides out. | 由内而外烧死了自己 |
[1:04:53] | She died in agony. | 怀恨而死 |
[1:05:04] | Listen to me. | 听我说 |
[1:05:08] | All of you. | 你们所有人都听着 |
[1:05:09] | I don’t need to know any more. | 我不需要再了解更多了 |
[1:05:12] | Neither do you. | 你们也不需要了 |
[1:05:14] | You each helped to kill her. | 你们每个人都要为她的死负责 |
[1:05:18] | Remember that. | 记住这一点 |
[1:05:24] | Never forget. | 永远都别忘 |
[1:05:30] | Look… | 你看 |
[1:05:31] | Inspector… | 探长 |
[1:05:35] | I would give thousands… | 我可以给你几千 |
[1:05:38] | ..yes, thousands, | 是的 几千 |
[1:05:42] | if I could… | 如果可以的话 |
[1:05:45] | You’re offering the money at the wrong time, Mr Birling. | 现在不是贿赂我的好时机 伯灵先生 |
[1:05:50] | Eva Smith is gone. | 伊娃·史密斯已经去世了 |
[1:05:53] | You can’t do her any more harm. | 你无法再伤害她了 |
[1:05:57] | You can’t do her any good now, either. | 也做不了什么事去弥补她 |
[1:06:01] | You can’t even say, | 你甚至无法说一句 |
[1:06:02] | “I’m sorry, Eva Smith.” | “对不起 伊娃·史密斯” |
[1:06:11] | But just remember this. | 但请记住 |
[1:06:13] | There are millions and millions of | 在我们身边 还有成千上万 |
[1:06:16] | Eva Smith and John Smith still left with us, | 伊娃·史密斯 和约翰·史密斯这样的人 |
[1:06:21] | with their lives and hopes and fears, | 带着他们的生活 希望和恐惧 |
[1:06:24] | their suffering and chance of happiness | 他们所经历的苦难与获得幸福的机会 |
[1:06:27] | all intertwined with our lives, | 都与我们的生活休戚相关 |
[1:06:30] | and what we think, and say, | 同我们的观念 言辞 |
[1:06:34] | and do. | 及所做所为都密不可分 |
[1:06:38] | We don’t live alone upon this earth. | 我们并非遗世独立 |
[1:06:41] | We are responsible for each other. | 我们有责任互相帮助 |
[1:06:46] | And if mankind will not learn that lesson, | 如果人类无法意识到这一点 |
[1:06:48] | then the time will come, soon, | 那么 当审判之日来临 |
[1:06:51] | when he will be taught it | 那时 他将饱受 |
[1:06:53] | in fire… | 烈火 |
[1:06:56] | ..and blood… | 鲜血 |
[1:06:59] | ..and anguish. | 与苦痛的洗礼 |
[1:07:17] | Goodnight. | 晚安 |
[1:07:49] | There’ll be an inquest. | 他们会立案调查的 |
[1:07:52] | Yes, I’m afraid there will. | 是的 恐怕会的 |
[1:07:55] | We may be called upon as witnesses. | 我们可能会以证人的身份被传唤 |
[1:08:00] | All of this is bound to come out. | 这些丑事肯定会被抖出来的 |
[1:08:02] | I hope it does. | 我倒希望如此 |
[1:08:03] | So do I. | 我也是 |
[1:08:06] | Well, you’re more of a fool than I took you for. | 好吧 你比我想象中的更愚蠢 |
[1:08:10] | You’re the only one of us who’s done something criminal. | 你是我们当中真正犯了罪的人 |
[1:08:13] | How can you say that? | 你怎么能这么说 |
[1:08:15] | Because that’s how the law works. | 因为法律就是这么定的 |
[1:08:20] | For the rest of us… | 而我们剩下的人 |
[1:08:23] | ..just… | 只是 |
[1:08:25] | Shame. | 羞耻 |
[1:08:35] | It’ll be the end of my knighthood, that’s for sure. | 看来我的爵位是铁定没戏了 |
[1:08:39] | You’ll have to tell me exactly which accounts you stole from. | 你得告诉我 你偷了哪些账户的钱 |
[1:08:45] | I’ll be lucky if I can keep you out of prison. | 幸运的话 没准我能帮你逃脱牢狱之灾 |
[1:08:49] | Then I’ll go to prison. | 那我就进监狱 |
[1:08:52] | I’d rather go to prison than stay here. | 我宁愿进监狱也不想呆在这里 |
[1:08:55] | Eric, dear… | 埃里克 亲爱的 |
[1:08:56] | You’ll stay here long enough | 在你把偷的钱都还清前 |
[1:08:58] | to pay that money back! | 你就一直待在这 |
[1:09:00] | If it takes you a hundred years! | 即使要用上一百年 |
[1:09:12] | Eric… | 埃里克 |
[1:09:14] | I’ll do anything to stop myself from | 我会尽全力阻止自己 |
[1:09:16] | turning into another one of them. | 变成他们那样 |
[1:09:18] | All they care about is covering this up. | 他们只关心如何掩盖掉这件事 |
[1:09:21] | I hope there is a war. | 我希望会有战争 |
[1:09:23] | I hope it finishes them. | 借此了结他们 |
[1:09:28] | Do you know the worst thing? | 你知道最可怕的是什么吗 |
[1:09:30] | I would have done it again. | 我可能会重蹈覆辙 |
[1:09:32] | You know, sometimes I find myself | 有时 我发现我自己 |
[1:09:34] | Iooking at girls, and… | 盯着那些女孩子 然后 |
[1:09:35] | You won’t do it again. Not after this. | 这次之后 你不会再重蹈覆辙了 |
[1:09:39] | Everything’s changed. It’s… | 一切都变了 这 |
[1:09:45] | I am so sorry, Eric. | 我真的很抱歉 埃里克 |
[1:09:48] | It’s… | 这件事 |
[1:09:51] | It’s ghastly, it really is. | 这件事真的糟透了 |
[1:09:56] | – I need to get myself a drink. – I can get you… | -我需要喝一杯 -我帮你拿 |
[1:09:58] | It’s all right. | 不用了 |
[1:10:00] | Are you all right? Sheila… | 你还好吗 希拉 |
[1:10:01] | Not now, Gerald. | 现在不合适 杰拉德 |
[1:10:04] | Eric… | 埃里克 |
[1:10:06] | What? | 干什么 |
[1:10:07] | Please don’t. | 别这样 |
[1:10:19] | We all need to come to terms with what’s happened. | 咱们得先商量好事情的说辞 |
[1:10:25] | The police will be back. | 警察很快就会回来的 |
[1:10:27] | They’ll want statements. | 他们会来录口供 |
[1:10:30] | I just hope they don’t send him again, that’s all. | 我只希望那个男的别来了 仅此而已 |
[1:10:33] | Dreadful man. | 真是惹人厌恶的人 |
[1:10:36] | I can’t imagine ever seeing the inspector again. | 我无法想象再遇见那位探长 |
[1:10:39] | When he left, it was so… | 当他离开的时候 感觉就像 |
[1:10:42] | ..final. | 都结束了 |
[1:10:44] | He wasn’t like a police officer at all. | 他一点都不像个警官 |
[1:10:48] | He was unnecessarily harsh. | 他没必要态度那么恶劣 |
[1:10:52] | Not like any police officer I’ve ever met. | 一点儿都不像我认识的那些探长 |
[1:10:55] | Do you not think it’s strange that… | 你们不觉得奇怪吗 |
[1:10:58] | ..he didn’t ask us for statements now, | 他到现在都没让咱们录口供 |
[1:11:02] | Tonight, I mean, it was almost as though | 我的意思是 今晚他似乎 |
[1:11:05] | he wasn’t interested in procedure, | 对办案流程一点都不感兴趣 |
[1:11:06] | he just wanted us to… | 他就是想让咱们 |
[1:11:07] | To face what we’ve done. | 正视我们的所作所为 |
[1:11:11] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:11:16] | I thought he was extraordinary. | 我觉得他很不同寻常 |
[1:11:20] | It was as though he could see into our souls. | 就好像他能看穿我们的灵魂 |
[1:11:25] | What was his name? | 他叫什么来着 |
[1:11:30] | Inspector Goold, I think. | 好像叫 古尔德探长 |
[1:11:32] | I thought he said Goole. | 我记得他说的是古尔 |
[1:11:36] | Edna. | 艾德娜 |
[1:11:39] | What did that inspector say to you when he came to the door? | 那个探长敲门的时候 他对你说什么了 |
[1:11:44] | He said he were a police inspector. | 他说他是警局的探长 |
[1:11:46] | He asked if you were home, and said | 问我您是否在家 然后说 |
[1:11:48] | he needed to see you urgently. | 他急需见您一面 |
[1:11:52] | Did he show you identification? | 他向你出示证件了吗 |
[1:11:54] | No, sir. | 没有 先生 |
[1:11:56] | What did he say his name was? | 他说他叫什么了吗 |
[1:11:58] | Inspector Goold, I think he said. | 我记得他说的是 古尔德探长 |
[1:12:04] | Have I done something wrong? | 我做错了什么吗 |
[1:12:06] | No. No, not at all. | 不不 没有 |
[1:12:07] | Why don’t you go up to bed now? | 不如你上床休息吧 |
[1:12:09] | I can see to the tea. | 我来沏茶倒水 |
[1:12:10] | Well… Thank you, miss. | 好的 谢谢您 小姐 |
[1:12:13] | There’s something not quite right here. | 有点儿不太对劲 |
[1:12:25] | Arthur? | 亚瑟 |
[1:12:27] | – Who are you calling? – Chief Constable. | -你要打给谁 -警察局长 |
[1:12:31] | Is that wise? | 这样合适吗 |
[1:12:32] | Brumley 8742, please. | 帮我接布鲁姆利8742号 谢谢 |
[1:12:36] | Do you think he’ll know about…? | 你觉得他会知道 |
[1:12:41] | Colonel Roberts, please. | 我找罗伯茨上校 谢谢 |
[1:12:44] | It’s Mr Arthur Birling. | 我是亚瑟·伯灵先生 |
[1:12:52] | Roberts? | 罗伯茨 |
[1:12:54] | Er, sorry to ring you up so late. | 很抱歉这么晚打扰您 |
[1:12:56] | Um…can you tell me, | 您能不能告诉我 |
[1:13:00] | has an Inspector Goole joined your staff lately? | 你们局最近是不是来了个叫古尔探长的人 |
[1:13:04] | Goole, or Goold, possibly. | 古尔或者叫古尔德 我记不清了 |
[1:13:08] | New man, recently transferred. | 新人 最近才调来的 |
[1:13:12] | Tall… | 个子挺高的 |
[1:13:16] | I see. | 明白了 |
[1:13:21] | Yes….well, that settles it. | 是的 这就能说得通了 |
[1:13:25] | No, no, no, no, no, it’s just a little argument | 不不 只是我们家里人 |
[1:13:28] | we were having among ourselves. | 有点儿小争议 |
[1:13:31] | Er…thank you. Thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢您 |
[1:13:34] | Um, I will. | 我会的 |
[1:13:38] | Thank you. Goodnight. | 谢谢您 晚安 |
[1:13:45] | There is no Inspector Goole. | 根本就没有古尔探长这号人 |
[1:13:49] | No-one new at the Brumley force at all. | 布鲁姆利警局压根就没来过新人 |
[1:13:54] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[1:13:56] | We’ve been had. | 咱们被耍了 |
[1:13:58] | A hoax. | 这是个骗局 |
[1:14:01] | I knew he wasn’t a police officer. | 我就知道他不是个警官 |
[1:14:04] | You should have checked his credentials the moment he arrived. | 他进来时你就应该检查他的证件 |
[1:14:09] | Why would anyone do that? | 他为什么要这么做 |
[1:14:11] | Perhaps…someone heard about the knighthood and… | 可能 有人听说我要加封爵士 |
[1:14:15] | wanted to bring me down a peg. | 所以想在背后捅我一刀 |
[1:14:18] | Jealousy. Malicious jealousy. | 这是嫉妒 恶毒的嫉妒 |
[1:14:20] | This changes everything. | 这样情况就完全不同了 |
[1:14:24] | So who was he? | 那他究竟是谁 |
[1:14:26] | What are we going to do? | 接下来我们该怎么办 |
[1:14:28] | Shall we ring Colonel Roberts again? | 需要再给罗伯茨上校打个电话吗 |
[1:14:30] | No, no. Wait… | 不不 等等 |
[1:14:31] | No, let me think this through. | 别 让我好好想想 |
[1:14:34] | It doesn’t change anything. | 知道了也什么都改变不了 |
[1:14:36] | – Of course it does. – It doesn’t. | -当然能 -这不能 |
[1:14:39] | Everything we told the inspector still happened. | 那些我们告诉探长的事 都是事实 |
[1:14:41] | He wasn’t an inspector. | 他不是探长 |
[1:14:43] | Well, he certainly inspected us. | 但他确实调查了我们 |
[1:14:45] | We told him the truth. | 我们跟他说了实话 |
[1:14:48] | Didn’t we? | 不是吗 |
[1:14:50] | She’s right. | 她说的对 |
[1:14:52] | It doesn’t change anything. Sarah’s still dead, | 一切都没有改变 莎拉还是死了 |
[1:14:54] | and between us, we killed her. | 而且是我们杀了她 |
[1:14:58] | Did we? | 是我们吗 |
[1:15:01] | You know that we did. | 你明知是我们干的 |
[1:15:03] | No, think about it. | 不 你仔细想想 |
[1:15:06] | The hoaxer goes round town, | 这个骗子来到镇上 |
[1:15:07] | say, finding things out about us, | 说是 发现了我们的丑事 |
[1:15:09] | things that… Things that might make us ashamed. | 一些让我们名誉扫地的事情 |
[1:15:13] | And then he comes here | 然后他来到了这里 |
[1:15:15] | and persuades us all into confessing | 诱使我们坦白 |
[1:15:16] | that we each played a part in this girl’s death. | 我们都参与并导致了这个女孩的死亡 |
[1:15:19] | – We did. – Yes, but… | -确实是这样 -但是 |
[1:15:21] | how do we know we were all talking about the same girl? | 我们怎么能确定大家说的是同一个女孩 |
[1:15:26] | We all did what we said we did, hmm? | 我们都讲了自己的所作所为 对吧 |
[1:15:31] | But how do we know that your Eva Smith | 但是我们怎么能确定你的伊娃·史密斯 |
[1:15:35] | is the same girl as my, um… | 和我的黛西·兰顿 |
[1:15:39] | Well, as my Daisy Renton? | 是同一个人呢 |
[1:15:41] | Because we looked at the photograph. | 因为我们都看到了照片 |
[1:15:43] | I didn’t. | 我没有 |
[1:15:46] | Simply took his word for it. | 我只是轻信了他的话 |
[1:15:49] | And do you remember how peculiar he was | 你们还记得他那个奇怪的要求吗 |
[1:15:51] | about only one person seeing the photograph at once? | 每次只让一个人看照片 |
[1:15:55] | What if they were all different? | 要是我们每次看到的照片都不一样呢 |
[1:16:01] | You’re right. | 你说的对 |
[1:16:04] | – We were all talking about different girls. – No. | -我们说的不是同一个姑娘 -不 |
[1:16:07] | I don’t believe it. The facts fit together too well. | 我不相信 细节都对得上 |
[1:16:11] | She called herself Mrs Birling. | 她自称为伯灵夫人 |
[1:16:13] | Why would she have done that | 如果不是同一个人 |
[1:16:15] | if she wasn’t the same girl who… | 那她为什么要这么做 |
[1:16:17] | I mean, who’s to say there was a girl who died this afternoon? | 我想说 是谁说今天下午死了个姑娘 |
[1:16:23] | Whose word do we have for that… | 谁能证明这事是真的 |
[1:16:26] | ..but his? | 除了他之外 |
[1:16:33] | Yes, Nurse? | 是的 护士 |
[1:16:37] | Yes, yes, I’m still here. | 是的 我还在听 |
[1:16:43] | Right. | 好的 |
[1:16:46] | I understand. | 我明白了 |
[1:16:51] | No. Thank you, Nurse. | 不 谢谢你 护士 |
[1:16:54] | Yes. Goodnight. | 好的 晚安 |
[1:17:02] | No suicides. | 没人自杀 |
[1:17:05] | No girl. | 没有女孩去世 |
[1:17:06] | Oh, thank the Lord! | 感谢上帝 |
[1:17:09] | Thank the Lord! | 感谢上帝 |
[1:18:40] | I have never been so happy… | 我从没在被骗得团团转之后 |
[1:18:44] | ..to have been had! | 这么开心过 |
[1:19:47] | I’m going to try everything to win you back. | 我会尽一切所能重新赢回你的心 |
[1:20:01] | Do you believe in God? | 你相信上帝吗 |
[1:20:04] | Yes. | 相信 |
[1:20:07] | How can you? | 为什么 |
[1:20:11] | I can’t believe in people. | 因为我不相信人类 |
[1:20:15] | I have to believe in something, or I’d fall. | 我必须得相信什么 否则我将无所寄托 |
[1:20:18] | Fall down through the cracks. | 然后堕入深渊 |
[1:20:22] | And never stop falling. | 万劫不复 |
[1:22:25] | Miss! What’s happened? | 小姐 你怎么了 |
[1:23:58] | I’m going to go and find her. | 我要去找她 |
[1:24:20] | Birling residence. | 这里是伯灵庄园 |
[1:24:23] | Speaking. | 请讲 |
[1:24:37] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[1:24:54] | A girl has died. | 有个女孩死了 |
[1:24:58] | Suicide. | 自杀 |
[1:25:03] | A police inspector is on his way | 一个探长正在赶来的路上 |
[1:25:04] | to ask us…some questions. | 准备问我们一些问题 |