英文名称:Barry Lyndon
年代:1975
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:58] | Gentlemen, cock your pistols. | 两位男士,请举枪 |
[01:05] | Gentlemen! | 两位 |
[01:06] | Barry’s father had been bred, like many sons of genteel families… | 巴里的父亲 跟许多有教养家庭的孩子一样 |
[01:12] | …to the profession of the law. | 被调教成为法律人 |
[01:14] | There is no doubt he would’ve made an eminent figure in his profession… | 毫无疑问地 他有机会成为业界知名人物 |
[01:19] | …had he not been killed in a duel… | 可惜在决斗中身亡 |
[01:22] | …which arose over the purchase of some horses. | 只因为买马时跟人起了纠纷 |
[01:40] | Barry’s mother, after her husband’s death… | 巴里的母亲在丈夫过世后 |
[01:43] | …lived in such a way as to defy slander. | 过着努力抵抗流言蜚语的日子 |
[01:48] | Many a man who had been charmed by the spinster… | 单身时,曾经追求过她的男人 |
[01:52] | …renewed his offers to the widow. | 现在向守寡的她重新求婚 |
[01:55] | But she refused all proposals of marriage… | 但她拒绝所有人的追求 |
[01:59] | …declaring that she lived only for her son… | 宣称她只为儿子 |
[02:02] | …and the memory of her departed saint. | 跟死去丈夫的回忆而活 |
[02:57] | First love! What a change it makes in a lad. | 初恋!那能完全改变一个年轻男人 |
[03:03] | What a magnificent secret it is he carries with him! | 他守着一个天大的秘密 |
[03:09] | The tender passion gushes out of a man’s heart. | 男人的心满满都是温柔热情 |
[03:13] | He loves as a bird sings… | 他的爱如同鸟儿的歌唱 |
[03:17] | …or a rose blows from nature. | 自然绽放的玫瑰 |
[03:22] | Killarney. | 启拉尼 |
[03:26] | Now, what shall it be? | 怎么样? |
[03:32] | Turn around and face the wall. | 转过去面对墙壁 |
[03:44] | The object of Barry’s attention… | 巴里心仪的女孩 |
[03:47] | …and the cause of his early troubles… | 让他年轻的心起了骚动的… |
[03:49] | …was his cousin, Nora Brady by name. | 就是他的表妹诺拉布莱迪 |
[04:05] | I have hidden my neck ribbon somewhere on my person. | 我将领巾藏在我身上某个地方 |
[04:11] | If you find it, you can have it. | 找到就算你的 |
[04:14] | You are free to look anywhere for it. | 你爱找哪里都可以 |
[04:17] | I will think little of you if you do not find it. | 如果你找不到,我会看不起你 |
[04:48] | I cannot find it. | 我找不到 |
[04:52] | You haven’t looked properly. | 你没有好好找 |
[05:08] | I cannot find it. | 我找不到 |
[05:15] | I’ll give you a hint. | 我给你一个暗示 |
[05:37] | I feel the ribbon. | 我摸到领巾了 |
[05:44] | Why are you trembling? | 你为什么在发抖? |
[05:48] | At– | 我… |
[05:51] | At the pleasure of finding the ribbon. | 我因为找领巾的欢娱而发抖 |
[06:00] | Liar. | 骗子 |
[06:18] | Company, forward march! | 士兵们,齐步走! |
[07:01] | Company, eyes left! | 士兵们,向左看! |
[07:07] | About this time the United Kingdom was greatly excited… | 这时英国情势紧张 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1879个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:428个,六级词汇:222个,GRE词汇:266个,托福词汇:338个,考研词汇:453个,专四词汇:404个,专八词汇:87个, 所有生词标注共:825个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[07:12] | …by the threat… | 深感威胁 |
[07:14] | …of a French invasion. | 因为法国企图入侵 |
[07:17] | The noblemen and people of condition… | 贵族跟平民 |
[07:20] | …loyally raised regiments… | 为国尽忠,组成军队 |
[07:23] | …to resist the invaders. | 抵抗入侵者 |
[07:27] | Their scarlet coats and swaggering airs filled Barry with envy. | 他们鲜红的外套跟神气活现的样子 让巴里非常羡慕 |
[07:37] | Company, eyes right! | 士兵们,向右看! |
[07:47] | Brady Town sent a company to join… | 布莱迪镇派一个连的兵力 |
[07:49] | …the Kilwangan Regiment, of which John Quin was the Captain. | 加入奇威刚军团 指挥官是约翰奎恩上尉 |
[07:57] | The whole country was alive with war’s alarms… | 全国都积极投入战争准备工作 |
[08:00] | …the kingdoms ringing with military music. | 在英国各地到处可听到军乐声 |
[08:10] | At ready! | 预备! |
[08:15] | Present! | 举枪! |
[08:19] | Fire! | 射击! |
[09:45] | Redmond, what is the matter? | 瑞德蒙,你到底是怎么了? |
[09:52] | Were you obliged to dance five times with Captain Quin? | 你一定要跟奎恩上尉跳五次舞吗? |
[09:57] | I don’t care a fig for Captain Quin. | 我才不在乎奎恩上尉 |
[10:01] | He dances prettily, and is a pleasant rattle of a man. | 但他舞跳得不错,是个有趣的人 |
[10:04] | He looks well in his regimentals. | 他穿上军装真的很帅 |
[10:06] | He asked me to dance. How could I refuse him? | 他邀请我共舞,我怎么能拒绝? |
[10:09] | But you refused me. | 但你拒绝了我 |
[10:11] | I can dance with you any day. | 我随时都能跟你跳舞 |
[10:14] | To dance with my cousin looks as though I could find no other partner. | 跟表哥一起跳舞 别人会以为我找不到舞伴 |
[10:19] | Besides, Captain Quin is a man. | 而且奎恩上尉是个男人 |
[10:24] | You’re only a boy and penniless. | 你只是个身无分文的男孩 |
[10:27] | If I meet him again, you will find out who is the best man. | 如果我再见到他 你就会知道谁是真正的男人 |
[10:32] | I’ll fight him Captain as he is. | 用剑或用枪,我都会跟上尉决斗 |
[10:34] | Oh, don’t be so silly! | 瑞德蒙,别傻了 |
[10:36] | I mean it. | 我是认真的 |
[10:38] | But Captain Quin is known as a valiant soldier. | 但奎恩上尉是众所周知的剽悍军人 |
[10:42] | It is mighty well of you to fight yokels… | 你或许可以打赢乡巴佬 |
[10:45] | …but to fight an Englishman is a different matter. | 跟英格兰绅士决斗是完全不同的事 |
[10:49] | You best have him take you home. | 你最好找英格兰绅士送你回家 |
[10:52] | Redmond! | 瑞德蒙! |
[11:20] | Barry resolved never to see Nora again. | 巴里决定不再跟诺拉见面 |
[11:24] | But such resolutions, steadfastly held for a whole week… | 这样的决心维持了一个星期 |
[11:29] | …are abandoned in a few moments of despair. | 却因为一时的绝望破了功 |
[11:35] | No, Nora, no, except for you and four others… | 不,诺拉,除了你跟四个女孩 |
[11:40] | …I vow before all the gods my heart… | 我真心跟上帝发誓 |
[11:45] | …has never felt the soft flame. | 我不曾感受到这样的热情 |
[11:48] | Ah, you men, you men, John… | 约翰,男人都是这样 |
[11:53] | …your passion’s not equal to ours. | 你们的热情跟女人不同 |
[11:56] | We are like some plant I’ve read of. | 我们像是我看过的植物 |
[12:00] | We bear but one flower and then we die. | 我们在花朵绽放后便会死去 |
[12:04] | You, you, you mean you… | 你是说你… |
[12:07] | …never felt an inclination for another? | 没跟其他男人在一起过? |
[12:10] | Never, my John. How can you ask such a question? | 从来没有,约翰 你怎么能问这样的问题? |
[12:14] | Oh, darling Norelia! | 亲爱的诺拉 |
[12:18] | Nora was chaperoned by her brothers Mick and Ulick… | 诺拉的哥哥米克跟尤力克监督着她 |
[12:23] | …whose interests would be affected… | 事实上他们很高兴 |
[12:25] | …by the favorable outcome of her affair with Quin. | 她跟奎恩在一起带来的好处 |
[12:41] | Redmond, how nice to see you. | 瑞德蒙,真高兴能见到你 |
[12:48] | Redmond! | 瑞德蒙 |
[12:51] | How could you do this to me? | 你怎么能这样子对我? |
[12:53] | Redmond, what’s the matter? | 瑞德蒙,到底怎么了? |
[12:55] | What are you saying? | 你在胡说什么? |
[12:59] | I think this might be the moment to return something to you. | 我想我该把东西还给你了 |
[13:05] | I– | 我 |
[13:07] | Thank you, Redmond. | 谢谢你,瑞德蒙 |
[13:10] | I must have forgotten it. | 我一定是忘了 |
[13:13] | Yes, you did. | 没错,你忘了,诺拉 |
[13:19] | Captain Quin, may I introduce my cousin, Redmond Barry. | 奎恩上尉 容我介绍我的表哥瑞德蒙巴里 |
[13:23] | Miss Brady, it would appear… | 布莱迪小姐,看起来 |
[13:25] | …you both have something private to discuss. | 你们两个有些私事要讨论 |
[13:28] | It would be best for me to withdraw. | 我最好先行退下 |
[13:31] | Captain Quin, I have nothing private to discuss with my cousin. | 奎恩上尉 我跟我表哥没有私事要讨论 |
[13:35] | Miss Brady, it appears you have a great deal to discuss. | 布莱迪小姐 看起来你们有很多事要谈 |
[13:39] | Captain Quin, he don’t signify any more than my parrot or lapdog. | 奎恩上尉 他只是跟着我跑的哈巴狗 |
[13:43] | Indeed! | 没错! |
[13:45] | Are you in the habit of giving… | 你习惯把私密衣物 |
[13:47] | …intimate articles of your clothing to your parrot or lapdog? | 送给跟着你跑的哈巴狗吗? |
[13:51] | Mayn’t I give a bit of ribbon to my own cousin? | 我不能把领巾送给我表哥吗? |
[13:55] | You’re welcome, miss. | 你当然可以,小姐 |
[13:57] | As many yards as you like. | 你爱送多少领巾给男人都可以 |
[14:01] | When ladies make presents to gentlemen, it’s time for other gentlemen to retire. | 淑女一旦送礼物给绅士 就代表其他男人得退让了 |
[14:05] | I wish you both a good day. | 祝你们两个幸福美满 |
[14:07] | Jack Quin! | 奎恩老兄! |
[14:09] | What’s the matter? | 发生了什么事? |
[14:10] | I’ll tell you, sir. | 我可以告诉你发生了什么事 |
[14:12] | I’ve had enough of Miss Brady and your Irish ways. | 我受够了布莱迪小姐 跟爱尔兰做事的方式 |
[14:15] | Ain’t used to them. | 我真的不习惯 |
[14:16] | What is it? | 到底是怎么了? |
[14:17] | We’ll accustom you to Irish ways, or we’ll adopt English ones. | 我们可以让你习惯爱尔兰人的方式 或者改用英格兰人的方式 |
[14:21] | It is not the English way for ladies to have two lovers. | 在英格兰,淑女不会有两个爱人 |
[14:25] | And so, I’ll thank you to pay me the sum you owe me. | 我要请你们把欠我的钱还给我 |
[14:28] | And I resign all claims to this young lady. | 我收回我跟这位小姐说过的话 |
[14:32] | If she fancies schoolboys, let her take ’em, sir. | 如果她喜欢小男生,就让她去吧 |
[14:34] | You’re joking! | 你是在开玩笑! |
[14:35] | Ha. I never was more earnest. | 我再认真不过了 |
[14:40] | John, wait. | 约翰,等一下 |
[14:47] | Meddling brat! | 讨厌的小鬼! |
[14:50] | Your hand is in everybody’s pie! | 你坏了大家的好事! |
[14:52] | What business had you to quarrel with a gentleman of substance? | 你有什么资格 跟那么有钱有地位的绅士争呢? |
[15:51] | Redmond, me boy, take a seat. | 瑞德蒙,孩子,坐吧 |
[17:07] | Mrs. Brady and ladies, if you please. | 布莱迪太太,各位女士,请听我说 |
[17:12] | This sort of toast is drunk too seldom in my family… | 在我的家族里 很难得见到举杯致意的场面 |
[17:17] | …and you’ll please to receive it with all honors. | 听到这个大好消息 你们应该会很高兴 |
[17:20] | Here’s to Captain and Mrs. John Quin and long life to them. | 这一杯敬约翰奎恩上尉夫妇 |
[17:30] | Go on. | 来吧 |
[17:31] | Kiss her, Jack, for faith you’ve got a treasure. | 亲她吧,杰克,证明你的真心 |
[17:36] | Come on, Jack. | 来吧,杰克 |
[17:39] | There’s the man! | 这才是男子汉 |
[17:50] | A long and happy life together. | 祝你们幸福度过一生 |
[17:52] | A long and happy life together. | 祝你们幸福度过一生 |
[17:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:01] | Redmond! | 瑞德蒙 |
[18:13] | Here’s my toast to you, Captain John Quin. | 我敬你,约翰奎恩上尉 |
[18:20] | Redmond, how dare you behave like that in my house! | 瑞德蒙!你竟敢在我家里那么做 |
[18:24] | Mrs. Brady, take the children out. | 布莱迪太太,先带孩子们出去 |
[18:26] | My dear fellow, are you all right? | 亲爱的上尉,你还好吧? |
[18:38] | In heaven’s name, what does all the row mean? | 天啊,那到底是怎么一回事? |
[18:43] | The fact is, sir… | 事实上 |
[18:44] | …the young monkey’s in love with Nora. | 这个小鬼爱上诺拉 |
[18:46] | He found her and the Captain in the garden today. | 今天他发现 她跟上尉在花园里谈心 |
[18:49] | Now he’s for murdering Jack Quin. | 现在他要杀了杰克奎恩 |
[18:52] | Mr. Brady, I’ve been insulted grossly in this house. | 布莱迪先生 我在这里遭到极大的侮辱 |
[18:57] | I’m not satisfied with these ways of going on. | 我不太满意你们的处理方式 |
[19:00] | I’m an Englishman! And a man of property! | 我是英格兰人,我是有地位的人! |
[19:04] | And this impudent young swine… | 这个不知天高地厚的小子 |
[19:06] | …should be horsewhipped! | 应该被好好地管教一下! |
[19:08] | Mr. Quin can have satisfaction any time he pleases… | 只要奎恩先生愿意决斗… |
[19:11] | …by calling on Redmond Barry, Esquire of Barryville. | 巴里村的瑞德蒙巴里先生 随时可以奉陪 |
[19:22] | I’ll see the boy home. | 我送那孩子回家 |
[19:31] | A pretty day’s work, Master Redmond. | 今天你很大胆,瑞德蒙先生 |
[19:36] | Knowing your uncle is distressed for money… | 知道你姨丈急需用钱 |
[19:38] | …trying to break off a match which | 他只是想帮女儿找个有钱女婿 让家族每年多一千五百镑收入 |
[19:43] | which is bothering your uncle. | 奎恩同意付四千镑 那让你姨丈很心动 |
[19:49] | He takes a girl without a penny… | 他愿意娶一个没钱的女孩 |
[19:51] | …a girl that’s flinging herself at the head of every man in these parts. | 这个女孩迷倒这里所有的男人 |
[19:56] | And missing them all! | 但是她不要这里的男人! |
[19:59] | And you, who ought to be attached to your uncle as to your father…. | 你该把你姨丈当做父亲看待 |
[20:04] | I am. | 我的确把他当做父亲看待 |
[20:05] | And this is the return you make for his kindness? | 这就是你报答他的方式? |
[20:08] | Didn’t he harbor you when your father died? | 你父亲过世后 他不是一直在保护你们吗? |
[20:12] | Hasn’t he given you and your mother a fine house, rent free? | 他不是给你跟你妈一个住的地方 还没收你们房租吗? |
[20:17] | Mark this, and come what will of it… | 记住我的话,我是认真的 |
[20:20] | …I will fight the man who pretends the hand of Nora Brady. | 我要跟追求诺拉布莱迪的人决斗 |
[20:24] | I’ll follow him if it’s into the church and fight him there. | 我会跟着他,即使我得进教堂 在那里跟他决斗 |
[20:29] | I’ll have his blood, or he’ll have mine. | 我会杀了他,或是他得杀了我 |
[20:36] | Faith, and I believe ye! | 自信满满,我相信你 |
[20:39] | I never saw a lad more game in me life. | 我没看过这么有自信的男孩 |
[20:43] | Give me a kiss, me boy. | 亲我一下,孩子 |
[20:48] | You’re after me own soul. | 你就跟我一样 |
[20:50] | As long as I live, you shall never want a friend or a second. | 只要还有一口气在 我会是你最好的朋友 |
[20:57] | Will you take my message to him? And arrange a meeting? | 你能帮我传话给他 安排我们见面吗? |
[21:03] | Well, if it must be, it must. | 如果你坚持的话,我会的 |
[22:14] | Look here, Redmond, me boy, this is a silly business. | 听我说,瑞德蒙,孩子 这太愚蠢了 |
[22:18] | The girl will marry Quin, mark my words. | 记住我的话,那女孩会嫁给奎恩 |
[22:22] | And as sure as she does, you’ll forget her. | 一旦她跟他结了婚,你会忘记她 |
[22:26] | You’re but a boy and Quin is willing to consider you as such. | 你只是个孩子,奎恩也是这么想 |
[22:32] | Right, Quin? | 对吧,奎恩? |
[22:34] | Oh, mm-hm. | 没错 |
[22:39] | Now, Dublin’s a fine place. | 都柏林是个好地方 |
[22:42] | If you’ve a mind to ride there and see the town for a month… | 如果你愿意到那里待一个月 |
[22:47] | …here’s ten guineas at your service. | 这里有十基尼够你花用了 |
[22:51] | Will that satisfy you, Captain Quin? | 你能接受吗,奎恩上尉? |
[22:55] | Yes, if Mr. Barry will apologize and go to Dublin… | 当然,如果巴里先生愿意道歉 并且到都柏林去 |
[22:59] | …I will consider the whole affair honorably settled. | 我会当问题都妥善解决了 |
[23:09] | Say you’re sorry, Redmond. | 快道歉吧,瑞德蒙 |
[23:12] | You can easily say that. | 跟他道歉,很简单的 |
[23:22] | I’m not sorry. | 我不觉得我错了 |
[23:26] | And I’ll not apologize. | 我不要道歉 |
[23:31] | And I’d as soon go to Dublin as to hell. | 我不要去都柏林 |
[23:42] | Then there’s nothing else for it. | 那么我们别无他法了 |
[23:47] | God bless you. | 上帝祝福你,孩子 |
[23:53] | This isn’t my pistol. | 这不是我的枪 |
[23:56] | It’s all right, it’s one of mine. | 没关系,这是我的枪 |
[23:59] | Yours will serve, if it’s needed, for the next round. | 如果进行下一轮决斗 我们再用你的枪 |
[24:05] | Good luck, Redmond. | 祝你好运,瑞德蒙 |
[24:19] | Gentlemen… | 两位男士 |
[24:23] | …cock your pistols. | 请举枪 |
[24:39] | Gentlemen… | 两位男士 |
[24:42] | …aim your pistols. | 瞄准 |
[24:58] | One. | 一 |
[25:01] | Two. | 二 |
[25:05] | Three. | 三 |
[25:16] | Is he dead? | 他死了吗? |
[25:22] | Quite dead. | 他真的死了 |
[25:29] | This has been a sad day’s work for our family. | 对我们家族来说,这是悲伤的一天 |
[25:33] | Ye’ve robbed us of 1,500 a year. | 你害我们一年损失一千五百镑 |
[25:36] | Now you’d better ride off before the Police are up. | 在警察出现前,你最好快点离开 |
[25:39] | They’d wind of this before we left Kilwangan. | 在我们离开奇威刚前 他们一定会追查此事 |
[25:43] | Come on, Redmond, I’ll go home with you. | 来吧,瑞德蒙,我送你回家 |
[26:09] | How different Barry’s fate might have been… | 巴里的人生应该会完全不同 |
[26:12] | …had he not fallen in love with Nora… | 要不是他爱上诺拉 |
[26:15] | …and had he not flung the wine in Captain Quin’s face. | 要不是他把酒泼到奎恩上尉脸上 |
[26:19] | But he was destined to be a wanderer. | 但他注定要亡命天涯 |
[26:22] | And the battle with Quin set him on his travels at an early age… | 跟奎恩决斗 逼得他提早展开这段旅程 |
[26:27] | …as you shall soon see. | 你们很快就会看到 |
[26:29] | The boy must go into hiding for a short time, anyway. | 这孩子得躲上一阵子 |
[26:34] | Dublin’s the best place for him. | 都柏林最适合他 |
[26:36] | He can stay there ’til matters have blown over. | 他可以待在那里等风声过去 |
[26:39] | But the child has never been away from home before. | 但这孩子不曾离家过 |
[26:43] | Wouldn’t he be as safe here? | 他待在这里不安全吗? |
[26:46] | I wish that were true, Aunt Belle. | 我也希望他能待在这里,贝拉阿姨 |
[26:49] | But the Bailiffs may be on their way already. | 或许警察已经来了 |
[26:53] | Now, Dublin is five days’ ride away from here. | 都柏林离这里有五天路程 |
[26:57] | There’s not a soul who’ll know him there. | 那里没有人认识他 |
[27:00] | I don’t want to harp on unpleasant matters… | 我不想太悲观 |
[27:03] | …but you do know what can happen to him if he’s taken. | 但你知道他被抓的话 可能会发生什么事 |
[27:16] | I’ll be all right. | 我会没事的 |
[27:24] | I’ll be all right in Dublin, Mother. | 我在都柏林会没事的,妈妈 |
[27:58] | No lad with liberty for the first time… | 没有孩子第一次出远门 |
[28:01] | …and 20 guineas in his pocket… | 口袋还有二十基尼时… |
[28:03] | …is very sad. | 心里还悲伤的起来 |
[28:05] | Barry rode towards Dublin thinking not so much of… | 巴里赶往都柏林 心里没想太多事 |
[28:09] | …the kind mother left alone, and the home behind him… | 他没想到他独居的母亲 还有无法回去的家 |
[28:13] | …but of tomorrow and all the wonders it would bring. | 只想到未来 以及可能出现的奇蹟 |
[28:30] | Excuse me, miss. | 对不起,小姐 |
[28:31] | Would it be possible to have a drink of water? | 能不能麻烦你给我一杯水? |
[28:33] | Yes, sir. | 好的 |
[28:40] | Good day to you, young sir. | 你好,年轻人 |
[28:45] | Good day. | 你好 |
[28:53] | Will you join us in a drink? | 要跟我们喝一杯吗? |
[28:58] | No, thank you. | 不用了,谢谢 |
[29:03] | Would you like something to eat? | 要吃点东西吗? |
[29:07] | That’s very kind of you, but I have to be on my way. | 你真的太好心了,但我还得赶路 |
[29:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[29:31] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[30:22] | Uh, excuse me, sir. | 借个路,先生 |
[30:25] | Good morning again, young sir. | 早安,年轻人 |
[30:32] | Don’t even think about it. | 想都别想 |
[30:37] | Get down off that horse. | 快下马 |
[30:46] | Raise your hands above your head, please. | 请将手举到头上 |
[30:49] | Come forward. | 走到前面来 |
[30:55] | Stop. | 停 |
[31:01] | How do you do? I’m Captain Feeney. | 你好吗?我是芬尼上尉 |
[31:07] | Captain Feeney! | 芬尼上尉 |
[31:09] | Captain Feeney, at your service. | 芬尼上尉,为你服务 |
[31:12] | The Captain Feeney? | 是那个芬尼上尉吗? |
[31:15] | None other. | 就是我 |
[31:16] | May I introduce you to my son…Seamus? | 容我介绍,这是我的儿子萨慕斯 |
[31:22] | How do you do? | 你好吗? |
[31:23] | How do you do? | 你好吗? |
[31:25] | To whom have I the honor of speaking? | 请问尊姓大名 |
[31:28] | My name’s Redmond Barry. | 我是瑞德蒙巴里 |
[31:30] | How do you do, Mr. Barry? | 你好吗,巴里先生? |
[31:33] | Now we must get onto the more regrettable stage of our brief acquaintance. | 现在我们得进入 令人较为不快的正事 |
[31:37] | Turn around and keep your hands high above your head, please. | 转身,请把手高举过头 |
[32:16] | There must be 20 guineas in gold here, Father. | 他带了二十基尼的金币,父亲 |
[32:19] | You seem to be a very well set up young gentleman, sir. | 你似乎是个有钱人,先生 |
[32:25] | Captain Feeney, that’s all the money my mother had in the world. | 芬尼上尉,那是我母亲毕生的积蓄 |
[32:29] | Mightn’t I keep it? | 能让我留着吗? |
[32:31] | I’m just one step ahead of the Law myself. | 我是个逃犯 |
[32:34] | I killed an English Officer in a duel, and I’m going to Dublin until things cool down. | 我在决斗中杀了一名英格兰军官 要到都柏林避锋头 |
[32:38] | Mr. Barry… | 巴里先生 |
[32:40] | …in my profession we hear many such stories. | 做我这一行,我们听过许多故事 |
[32:43] | Yours is the most intriguing and touching I’ve heard in weeks. | 你是这几个星期来 我听过最有趣动人的故事 |
[32:47] | Nevertheless, I cannot grant your request. | 但我无法答应你的要求 |
[32:51] | But, I’ll tell you what I will do. | 我会告诉你我打算怎么做 |
[32:54] | I’ll allow you to keep those fine boots, which normally I would have for myself. | 我会让你留下那双好靴子 平常我会把靴子抢走 |
[32:59] | The next town is only five miles away. | 下个城镇只有五哩远 |
[33:02] | And I suggest you now start walking. | 我建议你开始走吧 |
[33:05] | Mightn’t I keep my horse? | 我不能留下我的马吗? |
[33:07] | I would like to oblige you… | 我很希望能满足你 |
[33:09] | …but, people like us must be able to travel faster than our clients. | 但是像我们这样的人 动作必须比顾客快 |
[33:14] | Good day, young sir. | 再见,年轻人 |
[33:30] | You can put down your hands now, Mr. Barry. | 你可以把手放下了,巴里先生 |
[34:03] | Gale’s Regiment of Foot, commanded by Lieutenant General Charles Gale… | 盖尔步兵团 由查尔斯盖尔中将指挥 |
[34:08] | …which has distinguished itself during the recent troubles… | 在近来的纷扰中 他们的表现非常好 |
[34:13] | …wants several men to supply the places of those veterans… | 也需要找新人替补… |
[34:17] | …who have deserved to be pensioned at one shilling a day. | 一天可以拿到一先令退休金的老兵 |
[34:23] | All clever young fellows who are free and able… | 所有自由聪明的年轻人 |
[34:26] | …and are ambitious of becoming gentlemen by bearing arms… | 有野心成为身怀武器的绅士 |
[34:31] | …are hereby invited to meet the Recruiting Officer… | 都可以跟募兵官谈一谈 |
[34:35] | …who promises that they shall meet with every encouragement… | 募兵官保证他们可以得到鼓励 |
[34:38] | …that merit and good behavior can entitle them to. | 他们该有的津贴跟亲切的态度 |
[34:42] | Those meeting the qualifications will immediately receive… | 符合条件的人立刻可以拿到 |
[34:46] | …His Majesty’s Royal Bounty of one and a half guineas… | 国王发给的一个半基尼 |
[34:50] | …with complete clothing, arms and accoutrements. | 还配给全套服装、武器跟装备 |
[34:54] | King George and Old England forever. | 乔治国王与英格兰万岁 |
[35:02] | Left, left, left, right, left. | 左,左,左,右,左 |
[35:06] | Left, left, left, right, left. | 左,左,左,右,左 |
[35:10] | For a young man in difficulty… | 这个年轻人面临困境 |
[35:12] | …who had killed a man in a duel and was anxious to find refuge from the Law… | 在决斗中杀了人 急欲逃避法律制裁 |
[35:17] | …the chance to earn distinction in the European wars… | 有在欧洲战争中扬名立万的机会 |
[35:21] | …seemed a stroke of good fortune. | 似乎是命运的眷顾 |
[35:24] | And King George needed men too much to heed from whence they came. | 乔治国王急需男丁 不在乎他们的背景 |
[35:48] | Hey, lad! Lad! | 小子! |
[35:50] | Lad! | 小子! |
[35:52] | Can I have a new beaker? This one is full of grease. | 能给我一个新杯子吗? 这个杯子油腻腻的 |
[36:06] | Covered in grease! Give the gentleman a towel and a basin of turtle soup. | 油腻腻的! 给他一条毛巾跟一盆龟肉汤吧 |
[36:45] | If you want to vex him, ask him about his wife… | 如果你想烦他,问他太太的事 |
[36:49] | …the washerwoman, who beats him. | 那个殴打他的洗衣妇 |
[36:51] | Mr. Toole, is it a towel of your wife’s washing? | 杜尔先生 那条毛巾是你老婆洗的吗? |
[36:56] | They say she wipes your face often with one. | 他们说她常拿毛巾抽你的脸 |
[37:00] | Ask him why he wouldn’t see her yesterday when she came here. | 问他昨天老婆来这里时 为什么他不肯见她 |
[37:04] | Mr. Toole, why did you hide when Mrs. Toole came to visit you? | 杜尔先生,杜尔太太来见你时 为什么你要躲起来? |
[37:08] | Afraid of getting your ears boxed? | 你害怕被打耳光吗? |
[37:16] | Gentlemen, you may fight it out with fists if you choose. | 两位,如果你们愿意的话 可以来场赤手空拳的决斗 |
[37:21] | We’ll form a square for that purpose. | 我们会为你们排出队形 |
[37:35] | Gentlemen, step this way, please. | 两位男士,请到这边来 |
[37:44] | Shake hands. | 握手 |
[37:47] | Shake hands. | 握手 |
[37:49] | Take your stance. | 各自就位 |
[37:53] | No biting, kicking or scratching. | 不准咬人、踢人或抓人 |
[37:56] | The last man to remain standing is the winner. | 撑到最后的人就赢了 |
[37:59] | Gentlemen, commence fighting, now! | 两位,开始! |
[40:21] | Barry’s training continued at the camp. | 巴里继续在军营里受训 |
[40:25] | Within a month he was transformed into a proper young soldier. | 一个月内,他变成优秀的年轻士兵 |
[40:31] | The Regiment’s strength was steadily increased… | 此时,步兵团兵力随着 |
[40:35] | …by the arrival of other troops… | 其他部队的加入,越来越庞大 |
[40:37] | …in preparation for joining their armies fighting in Germany. | 准备到日耳曼投入战争 |
[40:44] | One occasion… | 某一天 |
[40:45] | …brought the welcome appearance of his second in the fatal duel… | 他见到了那场致命决斗里的助手 |
[40:50] | …Captain Grogan. | 葛洛根上尉 |
[41:10] | It would have helped if we’d known what had become of you. | 我们都很想知道你的近况 |
[41:15] | Didn’t you think of writing to your mother? | 你没想过要写信给你母亲吗? |
[41:22] | Of course. | 我当然想过 |
[41:25] | But the shame I felt of losing her money… | 但我觉得很丢脸,弄丢了她的钱 |
[41:29] | …my father’s sword and pistols…. | 我爸爸的剑跟手枪 |
[41:33] | I couldn’t tell her. | 我不知道怎么跟她说 |
[41:36] | She wouldn’t care about those things. | 她不在乎那些东西 |
[41:39] | You are her only concern. | 她只关心你 |
[41:41] | Tonight you must write her a proper letter. | 今晚你得好好写封信给她 |
[41:45] | Tell her that you’re safe and well. | 跟她说你平安无事 |
[41:51] | I will. | 我会的 |
[42:00] | Is Miss Brady well? | 布莱迪小姐还好吗? |
[42:07] | There are only six Miss Bradys now. | 现在只有六位布莱迪小姐 |
[42:13] | Has something happened to Nora? | 诺拉出事了吗? |
[42:18] | She took on so about your going away… | 你离开后她很难过 |
[42:22] | …that she had to console herself with a husband. | 必须找个丈夫安慰自己 |
[42:26] | She is now Mrs. John Quin. | 现在她是约翰奎恩太太 |
[42:33] | Mrs. John Quin? | 约翰奎恩太太? |
[42:36] | Was there another John Quin? | 还有别的约翰奎恩吗? |
[42:38] | No. | 不 |
[42:40] | The same, me boy. He recovered from his wound. | 就是原来的约翰奎恩,孩子 他的伤势康复了 |
[42:45] | The shot you hit him with could not hurt him. It was made of tow. | 你那一枪没杀了他,那是空包弹 |
[42:52] | Tow? | 空包弹? |
[42:55] | The Bradys wouldn’t let you kill 1, 500 a year out of the family. | 布莱迪家族不可能让你 害他们一年损失一千五百镑 |
[43:01] | The plan of the duel was arranged in order to get you out of the way. | 他们安排决斗,目的是为了除掉你 |
[43:07] | The cowardly Quin couldn’t be brought to marry… | 懦弱的奎恩不同意举行婚礼 |
[43:10] | …from fear of you. | 因为他怕你 |
[43:12] | But hit him you certainly did, me lad. | 但你真的打中他了,我的孩子 |
[43:15] | With a fine thick plugget of tow. | 不过子弹是空包弹 |
[43:19] | He was so frightened, it took him an hour to come to. | 他吓昏了,一小时后才醒过来 |
[43:26] | Are you in want of cash? | 你需要钱吗? |
[43:30] | You may draw on me. For I got a couple of hundred from your uncle. | 你可以跟我开口 你姨丈给我几百镑 |
[43:36] | While that lasts, you shall never want. | 有了那笔钱,你可以不愁吃穿 |
[43:43] | It would require a great historian to explain the causes… | 只有伟大的历史学家才能解释 |
[43:48] | …of the Seven Years’ War in Europe… | 欧洲七年战争的起因 |
[43:52] | …to which Barry’s regiment was now on its way. | 巴里的部队出发投入战争 |
[43:56] | Let it suffice to say, that England and Prussia were allies… | 就这么说吧 英格兰跟普鲁士结盟 |
[44:00] | …and at war against… | 投入战争对抗… |
[44:02] | …France, Sweden, Russia and Austria. | 法国、瑞典、俄罗斯跟奥地利 |
[44:20] | Barry’s first taste of battle… | 巴里初尝战争滋味 |
[44:22] | …was only a skirmish against a rearguard of Frenchmen… | 那是场对上法国后卫部队的小战役 |
[44:26] | …who occupied an orchard beside a road… | 他们占据的路边果园 |
[44:29] | …down which the English main force wished to pass. | 刚好是英格兰主力部队要通过的路线 |
[44:34] | Though this encounter is not recorded in any history book… | 史书并未记载这场战争 |
[44:38] | …it was memorable enough for those who took part. | 但参战的人永远不会忘记 |
[47:02] | I’ve only a hundred guineas left to give you… | 我只剩一百基尼可以留给你 |
[47:06] | …for I lost the rest at cards. | 其他的都被我打牌输光了 |
[47:12] | Kiss me, me boy, for we’ll never meet again. | 亲我一下,我的孩子 我们不会再见面 |
[47:49] | It is well to dream of glorious war in a snug armchair. | 坐在躺椅上 梦想光荣的战争是一回事 |
[47:54] | It is a different thing to see it firsthand. | 亲自参与是另一回事 |
[47:59] | After his friend’s death, Barry’s thoughts turned from military glory… | 朋友战死后 巴里的梦想从沙场上的荣耀 |
[48:04] | …to those of escaping the Service… | 转移到急欲逃离军旅生涯 |
[48:07] | …to which he was tied for six years. | 虽然他得在军队里待六年 |
[48:24] | Gentlemen talk of the Age of Chivalry… | 绅士们高谈阔论骑士时代 |
[48:28] | …but remember the ploughmen, poachers and pickpockets they lead. | 但是其实也记得他们带领的低贱平民 |
[48:33] | It is with these sad instruments great warriors and kings… | 这些人是造就 伟大战士跟国王的悲伤工具 |
[48:38] | …have been doing their murderous work in the world. | 他们负责做全世界最残酷的工作 |
[48:51] | Barry could not have fallen into worse circumstances… | 巴里发现自己… |
[48:54] | …than those in which he found himself. | 置身在最悲惨的环境中 |
[48:58] | But fate did not intend he should remain long an English soldier. | 但命运之神不希望他 在英格兰军队里待太久 |
[49:02] | An accident occurred… | 一起意外的发生 |
[49:04] | …which took him out of the Service in a rather singular manner. | 让他得以脱离军队 |
[49:36] | Freddie, I hope you won’t be angry with me, but… | 佛雷迪,希望你不会生我的气 |
[49:41] | …I’ve got something to tell you which you won’t be happy about. | 我有事要跟你说,你一定会不开心 |
[49:45] | Oh? What is it? | 到底是什么事? |
[49:47] | First, promise me you’ll keep your temper. | 先答应我你不会生气 |
[49:52] | Jonathan, don’t be an ass! You’re making a big mystery of it. | 强纳森,别那么混蛋! 一副神秘兮兮的模样 |
[49:57] | What is going on? | 发生了什么事? |
[49:59] | I have to go away again. | 我又得离开了 |
[50:02] | For about two weeks. | 大约两星期 |
[50:04] | Oh, God, you’re not serious? | 天啊,你是认真的吗? |
[50:08] | I am. There’s nothing I can do about it. | 当然是,我一点办法都没有 |
[50:13] | Where to this time? | 这次你要去哪里? |
[50:15] | To Bremen, carrying important dispatches to Prince Henry. | 我要去不来梅 将重要情报交给亨利亲王 |
[50:20] | But you promised me last time it would be never again. | 但上次你答应过我下不为例 |
[50:25] | I know. And I’ve kept my part of the bargain, but… | 我知道,我尽量履行我的承诺 |
[50:29] | …Pontersby insists I’m the only one who can be entrusted with the trip. | 但庞特斯比坚持 他只相信我能完成这趟任务 |
[50:33] | Here was the opportunity to escape from the Army… | 这是他一直在等待 逃离军队的大好机会 |
[50:36] | …for which he had been searching. | 他为此已经等了很久了 |
[50:39] | It was only a few miles to the area occupied by their Prussian allies… | 这里离普鲁士盟军据点 只有几哩路 |
[50:45] | …where this Officer’s uniform and papers… | 这位军官的制服跟证件 |
[50:47] | …should allow him to travel without suspicion… | 能让他自由离开,不会启人疑窦 |
[50:50] | …and stay ahead of the news of his desertion. | 没有人会发现他成了逃兵 |
[50:56] | Then, we’ll have little time together. | 那么我们还有一点时间在一起 |
[50:59] | Are you cross with me? | 你在生我的气吗? |
[51:02] | Damn you, I can’t stay cross with you for long. | 该死,我无法生你的气生太久 |
[51:08] | Oh, Jonathan… | 强纳森 |
[51:10] | …at times like this I realize how much I care for you… | 这种时候让我了解我多么在乎你 |
[51:14] | …and how empty life would be without you. | 没有你的话,生命会是一片空白 |
[51:18] | Frederick! | 佛迪瑞克! |
[51:43] | Barry was glad to see the uniforms of the Prussian Infantry. | 巴里很高兴见到普鲁士步兵团 |
[51:50] | They showed him that he was out of English-occupied territory. | 这证明他已经离开英格兰占领区 |
[52:00] | His intention was to make for Holland… | 他打算到荷兰去 |
[52:03] | …almost the only neutral country of Europe, in those times… | 当时欧洲唯一的中立国 |
[52:07] | …and thence to get a passage home, somehow. | 从那里想办法回家 |
[52:11] | As he rode away… | 一路前进时… |
[52:13] | …Barry felt he was now in his proper sphere. | 巴里觉得很安心 |
[52:16] | And determined never again to fall from the rank of a gentleman. | 决定他再也不要从军 |
[52:39] | Excuse me, miss. | 对不起,小姐 |
[52:42] | Yes. | 有什么事吗? |
[52:43] | Good day. | 你好 |
[52:45] | Good day. | 你好 |
[52:48] | Do you speak English? | 你会说英文吗? |
[52:53] | I’m speaking little. | 我会说一点英文 |
[52:58] | I have not eaten all day, no food. | 我整天没东西可吃 |
[53:03] | Is there an inn nearby where I might have a meal? | 附近有旅馆能让我吃点东西吗? |
[53:09] | No…I don’t think so. | 不,我想应该没有 |
[53:13] | There is nothing to eat before Grounberg. | 在葛鲁堡之前 没有地方可以让你吃东西 |
[53:21] | Do you live near here? | 你住在附近吗? |
[53:26] | Yes. | 对 |
[53:30] | Would you…feed me? I’d be happy to pay you. | 你能给我一点东西吃吗? 我很乐意付你钱 |
[53:39] | I think so. | 我想应该没问题 |
[54:06] | Is it a boy or girl? | 是男孩或女孩? |
[54:09] | A boy. | 男孩 |
[54:13] | What’s his name? | 他叫什么名字? |
[54:14] | Peter. | 彼得 |
[54:17] | How old is he? | 彼得多大了? |
[54:19] | He’s one year old. | 他已经一岁了 |
[54:25] | Where is Peter’s father? | 彼得的父亲人呢? |
[54:29] | Where he is? | 你是说,他在哪里? |
[54:33] | Yes. | 对 |
[54:35] | In the war. | 他去打仗了 |
[54:41] | How long has he been gone? | 他离开多久了? |
[54:46] | Sorry…I didn’t understand. | 抱歉,我听不懂 |
[54:50] | What? | 什么? |
[54:55] | Oh! A long time. | 非常久了 |
[54:58] | Since springtime. | 他在春天时离开 |
[55:06] | It must be hard for you to be alone. | 你一个人带孩子一定很辛苦 |
[55:12] | It is. | 没错 |
[55:19] | It must be dangerous for you in the war. | 你上战场一定很危险 |
[55:28] | I’m an Officer and must do my duty. | 我是军官,必须完成任务 |
[55:40] | You are sometimes… | 你有时候会… |
[55:42] | …lonely? | 寂寞吗? |
[55:46] | Sometimes. | 有时候会的 |
[56:05] | What did you say your name is? | 你说你叫什么名字? |
[56:10] | Lieutenant Fakenham. | 费肯汉少尉 |
[56:12] | No, I mean… | 不,我是说 |
[56:15] | …what is the name before Fakenham? | 费肯汉之前的名字? |
[56:19] | My first name? | 我的名字吗? |
[56:22] | Jonathan. | 强纳森 |
[56:25] | Jonathan? | 强纳森? |
[56:29] | Would you like… | 你要不要… |
[56:30] | …to stay with me? | 留下来陪我? |
[56:32] | For a few days, or sometimes? | 几天就好? |
[56:39] | That would be very nice. | 我非常愿意 |
[57:12] | Goodbye, my beautiful Lischen. | 再见,美丽的莉丝琴 |
[57:21] | Goodbye, Redmond. | 再见,瑞德蒙 |
[57:27] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[57:28] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[57:31] | Look after yourself. | 好好照顾自己 |
[57:37] | God be with you. | 愿上帝与你同在 |
[57:44] | A lady who sets her heart on a lad in uniform… | 爱上军人的女人 |
[57:49] | …must prepare to change lovers pretty quickly… | 必须有很快 就得换爱人的心理准备 |
[57:52] | …or her life will be a sad one. | 不然她会过着悲惨的一生 |
[57:56] | This heart of Lischen’s was like many a neighboring town… | 莉丝琴的心跟邻近的小镇一样 |
[58:01] | …and had been stormed and occupied many times before Barry came to invest it. | 在巴里来访之前 已经多次遭到入侵进驻 |
[58:31] | During five years of war… | 在五年战争里 |
[58:34] | …the illustrious Frederick had so exhausted the males of his kingdom… | 赫赫有名的腓特烈国王 耗尽国内的男丁人口 |
[58:39] | …that he had to employ recruiters… | 到了必须派出募兵官的地步 |
[58:42] | …who would commit any crime, including kidnapping… | 他们不择手段,甚至绑架平民 |
[58:46] | …to keep supplied those brilliant regiments of his with cannon fodder. | 以源源不绝的供应给 国王英勇的炮灰大队 |
[59:23] | Good evening, sir. | 晚安,先生 |
[59:26] | I’m Captain Potzdorf. To whom have I the honor of speaking? | 我是波兹杜夫上尉,请问尊姓大名 |
[59:31] | Good evening. I’m Lieutenant Fakenham, Gale’s Regiment of Foot. | 晚安,我是费肯汉少尉 隶属盖尔步兵团 |
[59:36] | Pleased to meet you. | 幸会 |
[59:39] | Can we be of assistance to you? | 有什么需要我们协助的吗? |
[59:42] | Thank you, but I am carrying urgent dispatches and must continue on my way. | 谢谢,但我带着重要情报 必须继续前进 |
[59:47] | And your destination? | 你的目的地是? |
[59:51] | Bremen. | 我要前往不来梅 |
[59:54] | Then you’re obviously lost, Lieutenant. | 那么你一定是迷路了,少尉 |
[59:57] | Bremen is in the opposite direction. | 不来梅在反方向 |
[1:00:00] | Are you sure? | 你确定,上尉? |
[1:00:01] | Yes. | 确定 |
[1:00:04] | Wouldn’t you know it! | 我的天啊 |
[1:00:06] | My departure was so hasty that my orderly forgot to prepare proper maps. | 我匆忙离开 我的部下忘记准备正确的地图 |
[1:00:12] | I understand. | 我了解 |
[1:00:16] | Please, do not be offended, Lieutenant… | 少尉,请不要生气 |
[1:00:20] | …but are you carrying your identity papers? | 你有带身分证件吗? |
[1:00:25] | Yes, of course. | 我当然有带 |
[1:00:28] | May I see them? | 我能看一下吗? |
[1:00:32] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[1:00:38] | Here you are. | 拿去吧 |
[1:00:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:00:54] | Thank you, Lieutenant, I hope I haven’t inconvenienced you. | 谢谢你,少尉 希望没造成你的不便 |
[1:00:59] | Not at all. | 完全不会 |
[1:01:02] | Now that we are riding in the same direction… | 既然我们要去的方向一致 |
[1:01:06] | …may I offer you a meal and a bed for the night… | 或许我有招待你吃一顿 晚上好好睡一觉 |
[1:01:11] | …and a proper map for the journey? | 再给你正确地图的荣幸 |
[1:01:16] | That’s kind of you, Captain. I’d be honored to accept. | 你真是好心,上尉 我很荣幸能接受招待 |
[1:01:43] | Barry was treated with great civility… | 巴里得到热情招待 |
[1:01:47] | …and was asked questions about England. | 被问及关于英格兰的问题 |
[1:01:50] | He answered as best he could, inventing many stories. | 他尽可能地回答 还自己编了一些故事 |
[1:01:56] | He described the King and Ministers… | 他描述国王跟部长们 |
[1:01:59] | …boasted that the British Ambassador in Berlin was his uncle… | 说英国驻柏林大使是他的舅舅 |
[1:02:03] | …and even offered Potzdorf a letter of introduction. | 甚至还说要帮波兹杜夫写介绍信 |
[1:02:07] | His host seemed satisfied with these stories. | 这些故事似乎让他的主人很满意 |
[1:02:11] | But, he led Barry on with a skillful combination of questions… | 但他对巴里提出一大堆问题 |
[1:02:17] | …and flattery. | 还对他大加奉承 |
[1:02:18] | I know so little of your country of England… | 很抱歉,我不太了解英格兰 |
[1:02:23] | …except that you are the bravest nation in the world… | 只知道你们是全世界最勇敢的国家 |
[1:02:26] | …and that we are fortunate to have such allies. | 我们很幸运能跟你们结盟 |
[1:02:31] | Lieutenant Fakenham… | 费肯汉少尉 |
[1:02:33] | …let us drink to the friendship of our two great nations. | 为两国的友谊干一杯吧 |
[1:02:38] | To our two great nations. | 敬这两个伟大的国家 |
[1:02:50] | Ah. | 啊 |
[1:03:01] | Aren’t you lucky, going to Bremen tomorrow? | 你真的很幸运,明天可以到不来梅 |
[1:03:06] | I know one of the loveliest women in Europe there. | 我在那里认识全欧洲最漂亮的女人 |
[1:03:11] | Would you take a letter to her? | 你能帮我带信给她吗? |
[1:03:15] | Certainly. | 没问题 |
[1:03:16] | By the way, to whom are you carrying your dispatches? | 对了,你要把情报交给谁? |
[1:03:23] | General Williamson. | 威廉森将军 |
[1:03:27] | General Williamson? | 威廉森将军? |
[1:03:28] | Yes. | 对 |
[1:03:31] | General Percival Williamson? | 普西佛威廉森将军? |
[1:03:36] | Yes, the same. | 就是他 |
[1:03:44] | Sergeant. | 军士 |
[1:03:50] | This man is under arrest. | 逮捕这家伙 |
[1:03:56] | Under arrest? Captain Potzdorf, sir… | 逮捕我?波兹杜夫上尉… |
[1:04:00] | …I’m a British Officer. | 我是英国军官 |
[1:04:03] | You’re a liar and an imposter. | 你是骗子,你是冒牌货 |
[1:04:07] | You’re a deserter. | 你是逃兵 |
[1:04:09] | I suspected you this morning. Your lies and folly have confirmed this. | 今天早上我就开始怀疑你 你的谎言证实了我的看法 |
[1:04:15] | You pretend to carry dispatches to a General, dead these ten months. | 你假装要送情报 给十个月前阵亡的将军 |
[1:04:20] | You say the British Ambassador in Berlin… | 你说英国驻柏林大使 |
[1:04:22] | …is your uncle, with the ridiculous name of O’Grady. | 是你的舅舅,叫什么鬼欧葛来帝 |
[1:04:27] | Now, will you join and take the bounty, or be given up? | 你要加入军队,还是要被逮捕? |
[1:04:35] | I volunteer. | 我自愿加入军队 |
[1:04:41] | The Prussian Service was worse than the English. | 普鲁士军队比英格兰军队更为严格 |
[1:04:46] | The life of a Private Soldier was frightful. | 大兵的生活非常悲惨 |
[1:04:51] | Punishment was incessant. Every Officer had the right to inflict it. | 处罚非常残忍 所有的军官都能处罚士兵 |
[1:04:58] | The gauntlet was a common penalty for minor offenses. | 犯下小错就会鞭打 |
[1:05:03] | More serious ones were punishable by mutilation or death. | 犯下重罪会被砍断手脚 甚至是处死 |
[1:05:17] | At the close of the Seven Years’ War the army… | 七年战争迈入尾声 |
[1:05:20] | …renowned for its disciplined valor, was officered by native Prussians. | 以纪律闻名的大军 名义上是由普鲁士人组成 |
[1:05:26] | But it was mostly composed… | 但多数成员 |
[1:05:29] | …of men from the lowest levels of humanity… | 来自社会的最低层 |
[1:05:33] | …hired or stolen from every nation in Europe. | 到欧洲各国雇用或骗来的人 |
[1:05:38] | Thus, Barry fell into the worst company… | 巴里置身在最险恶的大染缸中 |
[1:05:44] | …and was soon far advanced in the science of every kind of misconduct. | 很快地就熟悉各种偷鸡摸狗的技俩 |
[1:07:47] | Help. | 救命啊 |
[1:07:49] | Get me out of here. | 快把我拉出去 |
[1:09:07] | The Colonel’s speech declared the King’s satisfaction… | 上校说国王非常满意 |
[1:09:12] | …with the conduct of the Regiment at the Battle of Audorf… | 军队在奥多夫之役的表现 |
[1:09:16] | …and with Corporal Barry’s bravery in rescuing Captain Potzdorf… | 巴里下士勇敢地救了波兹杜夫上尉 |
[1:09:21] | …which was to be rewarded with the sum of two frederick d’or. | 因而获到两枚普鲁士金币的奖励 |
[1:09:31] | Corporal Barry, eight paces forward… | 巴里下士,请向前八步 |
[1:09:35] | …march! | 齐步走! |
[1:09:49] | Corporal Barry. | 巴里下士 |
[1:09:55] | You’re a gallant soldier, and evidently of good stock… | 你是个好士兵,非常勇敢 |
[1:09:58] | …but you’re idle and unprincipled. | 但你懒惰又不守纪律 |
[1:10:02] | You’re a bad influence on the men. | 你带坏了其他的人 |
[1:10:04] | And for all your bravery, I’m sure you’ll come to no good. | 虽然很勇敢 我相信你什么事都做不好 |
[1:10:11] | I hope the Colonel is mistaken. | 我希望这一点上校弄错了 |
[1:10:15] | I have fallen into bad company, but I’ve only done as other soldiers do. | 我交到坏朋友 但我做的事跟其他士兵一样 |
[1:10:20] | I’ve never had a friend or protector before… | 从来没有朋友或保护者 |
[1:10:23] | …to show that I was worthy of better things. | 教我怎么力争上游 |
[1:10:27] | The Colonel may say I’m ruined, and send me to the Devil. | 上校可以说我这个人毁了 要我去见恶魔 |
[1:10:31] | But, I would go to the Devil to serve the Regiment. | 但是我愿意为了效忠军队 去见恶魔 |
[1:10:38] | Corporal Barry, fall in. | 巴里下士,归队 |
[1:10:51] | The war ended and Barry’s regiment was garrisoned in the Capital. | 战争结束,巴里的部队驻守在首都 |
[1:10:58] | He had, for some time, ingratiated himself with Captain Potzdorf… | 他已经巴结了普兹杜夫上尉好一阵子 |
[1:11:04] | …whose confidence in him was about to bring its reward. | 他对他的信任即将得到回报 |
[1:11:17] | Good morning, Redmond. | 早安,瑞德蒙 |
[1:11:19] | Good morning, Captain. | 早安,上尉 |
[1:11:21] | I should like you to meet my uncle, the Minister of Police. | 我要跟你介绍我的叔叔,警务部长 |
[1:11:27] | Good morning, Herr Minister. | 早安,部长先生 |
[1:11:31] | Redmond… | 瑞德蒙 |
[1:11:32] | …I’ve spoken to the Minister regarding your services and your fortune is made. | 我跟部长谈过你的表现 还有你立下的战功 |
[1:11:37] | We shall get you out of the Army… | 我们能帮助你离开军队 |
[1:11:39] | …appoint you to the Police Bureau, and, in time… | 将你调到警察局,很快地 |
[1:11:44] | …we’ll allow you to move in a better sphere. | 我们会帮助你爬上高位 |
[1:11:49] | Thank you, Captain. | 谢谢你,上尉 |
[1:11:54] | Your loyalty to me and service to the Regiment has pleased me. | 你对我的忠诚及在军中的表现 让我非常满意 |
[1:12:01] | Now there is another occasion on which you can assist us. | 你还可以帮我们一个忙 |
[1:12:06] | If you succeed… | 如果你成功了 |
[1:12:08] | …depend on it… | 因为这个缘故 |
[1:12:10] | …your reward will be secure. | 就可以拿到奖赏 |
[1:12:14] | I’ll do my best, sir. | 我会尽力的,长官 |
[1:12:24] | There is a gentleman in Berlin in the service of the Empress of Austria. | 在柏林有个人为奥地利女王服务 |
[1:12:30] | He calls himself the Chevalier de Balibari. | 他自称是巴里巴瑞骑士 |
[1:12:34] | He appears to be a professional gambler. | 他以职业赌徒之姿出现 |
[1:12:38] | He’s a libertine: | 是个浪荡子 |
[1:12:41] | Fond of women, of good food… | 喜欢美女跟美食 |
[1:12:44] | …polished, obliging. | 过着奢华光鲜的生活 |
[1:12:48] | He speaks French and German indifferently. | 他的法文跟德文说得非常好 |
[1:12:52] | But we have reason to fancy that Monsieur de Balibari… | 不过我们有理由相信 巴里巴瑞先生 |
[1:12:56] | …is a native of your country of Ireland. | 跟你一样是爱尔兰人 |
[1:13:01] | And that he has come here as a spy. | 他来这里当间谍 |
[1:13:15] | Your knowledge of English… | 你精通英文… |
[1:13:17] | …makes you an ideal choice to go into his service… | 是接近他的理想选择 |
[1:13:22] | …and find out whether or not he is a spy. | 查出他到底是不是间谍 |
[1:13:28] | Does this assignment interest you? | 你对这项任务有兴趣吗? |
[1:13:32] | Minister, I’m interested in anything that can be of service to you… | 部长先生,我当然想为您… |
[1:13:36] | …and Captain Potzdorf. | 也为波兹杜夫上尉效力 |
[1:13:50] | You will not know a word of English. | 你完全听不懂英文 |
[1:13:54] | If the Chevalier remarks on your accent, say you are Hungarian. | 如果骑士先生怀疑你的口音 就说你是匈牙利人 |
[1:14:00] | You served in the war. | 你上过战场 |
[1:14:02] | You left the Army for medical reasons… | 因为健康问题退伍 |
[1:14:06] | …then served Monsieur de Quellenberg for two years. | 为奎伦伯格先生服务两年 |
[1:14:10] | He’s now with the Army in Silesia, but you’ll have a certificate from him. | 他跟着军队到了西利西亚 但是你可以代表他说话 |
[1:14:39] | Good morning, Your Honor. | 早安,先生 |
[1:15:00] | So you are the young man recommended by Seebach. | 你就是席巴赫推荐的那个年轻人 |
[1:15:05] | Yes, Your Honor, here are my credentials. | 是的,先生,这是我的证书 |
[1:15:19] | Your name is Lazlo Zilagy? | 你叫拉左洛奇拉吉? |
[1:15:24] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的,先生 |
[1:15:29] | Monsieur de Quellenberg recommends you highly. | 奎伦伯格先生对你是赞不绝口 |
[1:15:34] | Monsieur is a very good man. | 奎伦伯格先生是个大好人 |
[1:15:45] | It was imprudent of him… | 他的举动可说是轻率… |
[1:15:47] | …but when Barry saw the Chevalier’s splendor… | 但巴里看到骑士先生的气势 |
[1:15:51] | …and noble manner… | 还有他的高雅举止 |
[1:15:54] | …he felt unable to keep disguise with him. | 他发现自己无法再伪装下去 |
[1:15:58] | Those who have never been exiled… | 不曾流浪的人 |
[1:16:01] | …know not what it is to hear a friendly voice in captivity… | 不知道人在屋檐下 听到乡音时的感觉 |
[1:16:06] | …and would not understand the cause… | 也不了解为什么… |
[1:16:09] | …of the burst of feeling now about to take place. | 他的心情会突然激动起来 |
[1:16:16] | You seem the right one to me. | 看起来你很适合这份工作 |
[1:16:22] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢你,先生 |
[1:16:31] | Are you ill? | 你病了吗? |
[1:16:38] | Sir… | 先生 |
[1:16:40] | …I have a confession to make to you. | 我得跟你坦白一件事 |
[1:16:44] | I’m an Irishman. | 我是爱尔兰人 |
[1:16:47] | My name is Redmond Barry. | 我叫瑞德蒙巴里 |
[1:16:52] | I was abducted into the Prussian Army. | 我被普鲁士军队绑架 |
[1:16:56] | Now I’ve been put into your service… | 现在奉波兹杜夫上尉跟他的叔叔 |
[1:16:59] | …by my Captain Potzdorf and his uncle, the Minister of Police… | 也就是警务部长的命令来为你工作 |
[1:17:08] | …to serve as a watch upon your…actions… | 我得监视你的一举一动 |
[1:17:13] | …and to give information to them. | 提供情报给他们 |
[1:17:38] | The Chevalier was much affected… | 他乡遇故知 |
[1:17:42] | …at thus finding one of his countrymen. | 让骑士很感动 |
[1:17:45] | For he too was an exile. | 他也是流亡人士 |
[1:17:48] | And a friendly voice, a look… | 听到熟悉口音,见到同胞 |
[1:17:51] | …brought the old country back to his memory. | 让他想起自己的祖国 |
[1:17:58] | He is very religious and attends church regularly. | 他非常虔诚,会定期上教堂 |
[1:18:02] | After Mass he comes home for breakfast. | 做完弥撒后就回家吃早餐 |
[1:18:09] | He then takes an airing in his carriage. | 他会搭着马车去兜风 |
[1:18:11] | Barry presented his reports regularly to the Minister. | 巴里固定跟部长报告 |
[1:18:16] | The details were arranged beforehand with the Chevalier. | 内容都是他事先跟骑士商量好的 |
[1:18:21] | He was instructed to tell the truth… | 他奉命尽可能说实话 |
[1:18:25] | …as much as his story would possibly bear. | 努力不露出破绽 |
[1:18:29] | The information he gave was very minute and accurate… | 他提供的资讯非常仔细确实 |
[1:18:34] | …though not very important. | 但都不是什么重要的事 |
[1:18:37] | –But who does not acknowledge him. | 但他不认识他 |
[1:18:57] | Wine or punch, Your Honor? | 葡萄酒或鸡尾酒,大人? |
[1:19:00] | Wine. | 葡萄酒 |
[1:19:02] | It was agreed that Barry should keep his character of valet. | 他们说好 巴里得继续扮演贴身侍从角色 |
[1:19:07] | That, before strangers, he should not know a word of English. | 在陌生人面前 他得装成听不懂英文 |
[1:19:12] | And that he should keep a lookout on the trumps when serving the wine. | 上酒时他得注意每个人手上拿的牌 |
[1:19:19] | Having excellent eyesight… | 有付好眼力 |
[1:19:21] | …and a natural aptitude… | 加上天生才能 |
[1:19:24] | …he was able to give his dear patron much assistance… | 他在牌桌上提供主人许多帮助 |
[1:19:28] | …against his opponents at the green table. | 打败对手 |
[1:19:32] | If, for instance, he wiped the table with a napkin… | 譬如他拿餐巾擦桌子 |
[1:19:36] | …the enemy was strong in Diamonds. | 代表敌人拿到方块大牌 |
[1:19:39] | If he adjusted a chair it meant Ace King. | 他调整椅子,代表敌人拿到王牌 |
[1:19:43] | If he said, “Punch or wine, My Lord?”… | 如果他说 “鸡尾酒或葡萄酒,大人?” |
[1:19:46] | …Hearts were meant, and so forth. | 那代表敌人拿到的是红心 |
[1:20:01] | The Prince of Terbingen… | 图宾根亲王 |
[1:20:03] | …who had intimate connections with the Great Frederick… | 跟腓特烈大帝关系密切 |
[1:20:08] | …was passionately fond of play as were the gentlemen… | 他很喜欢打牌 |
[1:20:12] | …of almost all the Courts of Europe. | 就跟许多欧洲贵族一样 |
[1:20:14] | You owe 15,500 frederick d’or. | 你欠了一万五千五百个金币 |
[1:20:52] | Chevalier… | 骑士 |
[1:20:57] | …though I cannot say how… | 我不知道你用了什么方法 |
[1:21:01] | …I believe you have cheated me. | 但是我相信你在诈赌 |
[1:21:11] | I deny Your Grace’s accusation… | 我否认殿下的指控 |
[1:21:14] | …and beg you to say how you have been cheated. | 并要求殿下说出我用什么方式诈赌 |
[1:21:19] | I don’t know. | 我真的不知道 |
[1:21:21] | But I believe I have been. | 但我相信你在诈赌 |
[1:21:25] | Your Grace owes me 15,500 frederick d’or… | 殿下欠我一万五千五百金币 |
[1:21:31] | …which I have honorably won. | 那是我光明正大赢来的 |
[1:21:35] | Chevalier… | 骑士 |
[1:21:39] | …if you will have your money now you must fight for it. | 你想要拿回你的钱,就得决斗 |
[1:21:44] | If you will be patient… | 如果你有耐心 |
[1:21:47] | …maybe I will pay you something another time. | 或许下次我会还你一些 |
[1:21:54] | Your Grace, if I am to be so tame as to take this… | 殿下,如果我那么容易说话 |
[1:21:59] | …then I must give up an honorable and lucrative occupation. | 就没办法从事这种 光明正大且获利丰厚的营生 |
[1:22:05] | I have said all there is to be said. | 该说的我都说了 |
[1:22:08] | I am at your disposal for whatever purposes you wish. | 你爱怎么处置都随便你 |
[1:22:14] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:22:37] | Was the Prince cheated? | 亲王遭诈赌? |
[1:22:42] | In as far as I am able to tell, Herr Minister, no. | 部长先生,我认为应该没有 |
[1:22:46] | I believe he won the money fairly. | 我相信他赢得光明正大 |
[1:22:53] | What are the Chevalier’s intentions? | 骑士的意图是什么? |
[1:22:56] | I’m not sure. | 我不知道 |
[1:22:58] | The Prince told him that if he wanted his money he’d have to fight for it. | 亲王跟他说 他要钱的话就得决斗 |
[1:23:06] | A meeting with the Prince is impossible. | 跟亲王见面是不可能的 |
[1:23:12] | The Prince has left him no other choice. | 亲王让他别无选择 |
[1:23:40] | Now. | 明天你能再来一趟 而不启人疑窦吗? |
[1:23:42] | Will you be able to return here tomorrow without arousing suspicion? | 我知道他们不会答应 我跟亲王见面 |
[1:23:48] | I know they won’t allow a meeting with the Prince. | 如果我那么说 你知道他为什么要还我钱吗? |
[1:23:51] | But if I say that, do you know any reason why he’ll pay me what he owes? | 你得跟他们说我要求决斗 |
[1:23:57] | You must tell them I intend to demand satisfaction. | 别那样子,孩子 |
[1:24:01] | Don’t look so downcast, my boy. | 他们无法伤害我 奥地利大使会处理的 |
[1:24:04] | They cannot harm me, the Austrian Embassy will see to that. | 他们最多只能把我赶出这个烂国家 |
[1:24:09] | The worst they can do is send me out of this dreary country of theirs. | 如果他们那么做,别担心 |
[1:24:14] | If they should, don’t worry… | 我不会丢下你的 |
[1:24:18] | …you shall not be left behind. | 别害怕 |
[1:24:21] | Have no fear of that. | 国王决定将骑士驱逐出境 |
[1:24:25] | The King has determined to send the Chevalier out of the country. | 他要求决斗吗? |
[1:24:30] | Has he already demanded satisfaction? | 还没有,但我相信他会提出要求 |
[1:24:34] | Not yet, but I believe he intends to… | 可能今天就会 |
[1:24:38] | …possibly today. | 我们明天就得将这件事处理好 |
[1:24:41] | Then this must be done tomorrow. | 做好所有安排 |
[1:24:43] | All the arrangements are made. | 瑞德蒙 |
[1:24:50] | You said he takes a drive after breakfast every day. | 你说每天吃完早餐后他会去兜风 |
[1:24:55] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[1:24:58] | Is there any reason he should do any different tomorrow? | 明天他会更改行程吗? |
[1:25:02] | No, sir. | 应该不会 |
[1:25:04] | Good. | 很好 |
[1:25:07] | When the Chevalier comes out to his carriage in the morning… | 明天骑士一出门要上马车 |
[1:25:10] | …two Officers will meet him and escort him to the frontier. | 两位军官会护送他到边界 |
[1:25:14] | His baggage will be sent after him. | 之后再将他的行李送还给他 |
[1:25:17] | Excellent. | 非常好 |
[1:25:30] | At ten o’clock the next morning… | 隔天早上十点 |
[1:25:33] | …the Chevalier de Balibari… | 巴里巴瑞骑士 |
[1:25:36] | …went out for his regular morning drive. | 展开例行的晨间兜风之旅 |
[1:25:48] | Where’s my servant, Lazlo? | 我的仆人拉左洛在哪里? |
[1:25:50] | I will let down the steps, Your Honor. | 我来帮你放下踏阶,大人 |
[1:26:04] | What is this about? | 这是怎么一回事? |
[1:26:05] | Please get inside. | 请上车 |
[1:26:09] | Am I under arrest? | 我被捕了吗? |
[1:26:11] | We’re driving to the frontier. | 我们要赶往边界 |
[1:26:14] | Frontier? But I’m on my way to the Austrian Ambassador’s house. | 边界?但我要到奥地利大使官邸 |
[1:26:19] | My orders are to escort you to the frontier… | 很抱歉,大人 我奉命送你到边界 |
[1:26:22] | …and see you safely across the border. | 并且看着你安全通过边界 |
[1:26:24] | But, I’m not going to the frontier. | 但是我不要去边界 |
[1:26:26] | I have very important business at the Austrian Ambassador’s house. | 我有重要的事 要到奥地利大使官邸跑一趟 |
[1:26:31] | My orders are to take Your Honor to the frontier by any means necessary. | 我奉命不计代价送大人到边界 |
[1:26:36] | If you come willingly… | 如果你自愿离开 |
[1:26:37] | …I’m to give you this purse | 我代表图宾根亲王 将这个皮包交给你 |
[1:26:41] | …containing 2,000 frederick d’or. | 里面有两百枚金币 |
[1:26:53] | All Europe shall hear of this. | 全欧洲都会知道这件事 |
[1:27:01] | And so, without papers or passport… | 没有证件或护照 |
[1:27:06] | …and under the eyes of two Prussian Officers… | 在两名普鲁士军官的监视下 |
[1:27:09] | …Barry was escorted across the frontier into Saxony and freedom. | 巴里越过边界 进入萨克森,重获自由 |
[1:27:15] | The Chevalier himself had uneventfully crossed the frontier the night before. | 骑士早在前一晚 安全地通过了边界 |
[1:27:32] | By these wonderful circumstances, Barry was once more free… | 巴里顺利地再次获得自由身 |
[1:27:38] | …and began his professional work as a gamester… | 开始他的赌徒生涯 |
[1:27:41] | …resolving, thenceforward and forever, to live the life of a gentleman. | 下定决心要过上流社会的生活 |
[1:27:47] | Ahh! | 啊 |
[1:27:49] | The four wins. | 四点赢 |
[1:27:51] | Soon he and the Chevalier were received in all the Courts of Europe… | 很快地,他跟骑士 受到欧洲各皇室的欢迎 |
[1:27:56] | …and were speedily… | 很快地加入… |
[1:27:58] | …in the very best society where play was patronized… | 最上流的上流社会 那里的戏剧表演皆由王公贵族赞助 |
[1:28:02] | …and professors of that science always welcome. | 戏剧专家一向都很受欢迎 |
[1:28:09] | The seven. | 七点 |
[1:28:10] | Why not the seven? | 为什么不是七点? |
[1:28:14] | All…all, yes. | 好吧,对 |
[1:28:17] | Shh. | 嘘 |
[1:28:20] | No more bets. | 截止下注 |
[1:28:26] | Aww. | 啊 |
[1:28:28] | Number seven… | 七点 |
[1:28:29] | …loses. | 输了 |
[1:28:39] | Place your bets. | 请下注 |
[1:28:43] | Chevalier, will you give me credit for 5,000 louis d’or, please? | 骑士,你能借我五千金币吗? |
[1:28:48] | Of course, Lord Ludd. | 没问题,洛德爵爷 |
[1:29:02] | Five thousand. | 五千金币 |
[1:29:05] | Now, everything on the four. | 好吧,我全赌四点赢 |
[1:29:11] | Yes, I know, everything on the four. | 对,我知道,全赌四点赢 |
[1:29:26] | No more bets. | 截止下注 |
[1:29:34] | The four loses. | 四点输 |
[1:29:49] | It is not important. | 那不重要 |
[1:29:52] | Now, I’m weary. | 我累了 |
[1:29:56] | I would like dinner. Shall we? | 我想吃晚餐,可以走了吗? |
[1:30:01] | Excuse me, Lord Ludd. | 对不起,洛德爵爷 |
[1:30:05] | If you don’t mind. | 希望你不介意 |
[1:30:07] | Not at all. | 我当然不介意 |
[1:30:11] | They always played on credit with any person of honor or noble lineage. | 他们一向都会让王公贵族赊帐赌钱 |
[1:30:17] | They never pressed for their winnings… | 他们既不乘胜追击 |
[1:30:19] | …or declined to receive promissory notes. | 也不会拒绝他们赊帐 |
[1:30:24] | But woe to the man who did not pay when the note became due. | 但那些欠钱不还的人会倒大霉 |
[1:30:28] | Barry was sure to wait upon him with his bill. | 巴里总是等着去收帐 |
[1:30:32] | There were few bad debts. | 总是会有几笔坏帐 |
[1:30:33] | Saluez. | 敬礼 |
[1:30:35] | It was Barry’s skill with the sword, and readiness to use it… | 巴里的剑术 加上他随时准备用剑解决问题 |
[1:30:39] | …that maintained the reputation of the firm, so to speak. | 保持了公司的声誉 应该可以那么说吧 |
[1:30:43] | En garde! | 开始 |
[1:31:34] | I will pay you today, sir. | 今天我会还你钱,先生 |
[1:31:38] | Thus, it will be seen, their life… | 看得出来他们的生活… |
[1:31:40] | …for all its splendor, was not without danger and difficulty… | 虽然光鲜亮丽,也是有危险跟挫折 |
[1:31:45] | …requiring talent and determination for success. | 需要才华跟毅力才能成功 |
[1:31:49] | And required them to live a wandering and disconnected life. | 同时他们也过着 居无定所的流浪生活 |
[1:31:54] | And, though they were swimming upon the high tide of fortune… | 虽然赚进大笔钞票 |
[1:31:59] | …and prospering with the cards, they had little to show for their labor… | 靠着打牌发财 但他们一点都不招摇 |
[1:32:04] | …but some fine clothes and a few trinkets. | 只买了一些好衣服跟珠宝 |
[1:32:19] | Five years in the Army, and considerable experience of the world… | 五年的军旅生涯 南北闯荡的阅历 |
[1:32:25] | …had dispelled any romantic notions regarding love… | 让巴里一开始对爱的浪漫憧憬 |
[1:32:30] | …with which Barry commenced life. | 彻底幻灭 |
[1:32:33] | And he had it in mind, as many gentlemen had done before him… | 他心里有数 在他之前有许多男人 |
[1:32:37] | …to marry a woman of fortune and condition. | 为了金钱跟地位跟女人结婚 |
[1:32:42] | And, as such things so often happen… | 这种事太常见了 |
[1:32:45] | …these thoughts coincided with his setting sight upon a lady… | 当他看到这位仕女的时候 也兴起了这样的念头 |
[1:32:49] | …who will play a considerable part in the drama of his life. | 在他戏剧性的一生中 她将扮演非常重要的角色 |
[1:32:55] | The Countess of Lyndon… | 林登伯爵夫人 |
[1:32:57] | …Viscountess Bullingdon of England… | 英格兰的布林顿子爵夫人 |
[1:33:00] | …Baroness Castle Lyndon of Ireland. | 爱尔兰的林登堡男爵夫人 |
[1:33:04] | A woman of vast wealth and great beauty. | 一位富裕又美丽的女人 |
[1:33:09] | She was the wife of Sir Charles Lyndon… | 她嫁给查尔斯林登爵爷 |
[1:33:13] | …Knight of the Bath… | 也就是巴斯的骑士 |
[1:33:15] | …Minister to George III at several of the Courts of Europe. | 代表乔治三世出使过欧洲数国 |
[1:33:20] | A cripple, wheeled about in a chair… | 行动不便,必须依赖轮椅代步 |
[1:33:23] | …worn out by gout and a myriad of diseases. | 为痛风跟许多疾病所苦 |
[1:33:28] | Her Ladyship’s Chaplain, Mr. Runt… | 她的牧师兰特先生 |
[1:33:31] | …acted as tutor to her son, the little Viscount Bullingdon… | 是她儿子,小布林顿子爵的家教 |
[1:33:36] | …a melancholy little boy, much attached to his mother. | 他是个忧郁的小男孩 非常黏他妈妈 |
[1:35:58] | I’m going outside for a breath of air. | 我要去呼吸一下新鲜空气 |
[1:36:01] | Yes, My Lady. | 是的,夫人 |
[1:37:59] | To make a long story short… | 长话短说 |
[1:38:02] | …six hours after they met… Her Ladyship was in love. | 认识六小时后,夫人坠入爱河 |
[1:38:07] | And once Barry got into her company… | 巴里陪在她的身边 |
[1:38:10] | …he found innumerable occasions to improve his intimacy… | 找到许多机会跟她培养感情 |
[1:38:15] | …and was scarcely out of Her Ladyship’s sight. | 很少离开夫人的视线范围 |
[1:39:11] | Good evening, gentlemen. | 大家晚安 |
[1:39:13] | Good evening. | 晚安 |
[1:39:16] | Sir Charles. | 查尔斯爵爷 |
[1:39:20] | Good evening, Mr. Barry. | 晚安,巴里先生 |
[1:39:22] | Have you done with my Lady? | 你跟我夫人玩完了吗? |
[1:39:27] | Pardon? | 您是在说? |
[1:39:29] | Come, sir. I’m a man who would rather be known as a cuckold than a fool. | 少来了,我宁可戴绿帽 也不希望被人当成傻瓜耍 |
[1:39:37] | I think, Sir Charles, that you’ve had too much to drink. | 查尔斯爵爷,我想您喝太多了 |
[1:39:40] | Ha, ha, what? | 什么? |
[1:39:42] | As it happens, your Chaplain, Mr. Runt, introduced me to your Lady… | 事实上是您的牧师兰特先生 介绍我跟夫人认识 |
[1:39:48] | …to advise me on a religious matter, of which she is an expert. | 我们讨论宗教问题 她是这方面的专家 |
[1:39:59] | He wants…to step into my shoes. | 他要…捡我的旧鞋 |
[1:40:04] | He wants to step into my shoes. | 他要捡我的旧鞋! |
[1:40:09] | Is it not a pleasure for me, as I am drawing near the goal… | 我应该觉得很开心吧? 我离发现我有个… |
[1:40:13] | …to find my home such a happy one… | 幸福家庭的目标越来越近 |
[1:40:16] | …my wife so fond of me, that she is even now thinking of appointing a successor? | 我老婆喜欢我到 还帮我指定了继任者? |
[1:40:20] | like a prudent housewife… | 这很令人感到安慰吧? 看着一个好老婆… |
[1:40:23] | …getting everything ready for my departure? | 准备好将我扫地出门! |
[1:40:28] | I hope you’re not thinking of leaving us, Sir Charles? | 希望您没有要尽快 离开我们的计划,查尔斯爵爷 |
[1:40:34] | Not so soon as you may fancy, perhaps. | 没有你想像中那么快 |
[1:40:37] | I’ve been given over many times these four years. | 四年来这种事我见多了 |
[1:40:41] | And there was always a candidate or two… | 总是会出现一、两个兔崽子 |
[1:40:44] | …waiting to apply for the situation. | 等着接替我的位置 |
[1:40:48] | I’m sorry for you, Mr. Barry. | 我为你感到难过,巴里先生 |
[1:40:49] | It grieves me to keep you or any gentleman waiting. | 我很抱歉 让你及其他人久等了 |
[1:40:52] | Had you not better arrange with my doctor… | 你最好跟我的医生商量一下 |
[1:40:55] | …or have the cook flavor my omelet with arsenic, eh? | 还是要厨师在我的蛋卷里加砒霜! |
[1:40:59] | What are the odds, gentlemen, that I live to see Mr. Barry hang yet? | 各位,我活着看到巴里先生 被赶走的机率有多高? |
[1:41:08] | Sir, let those laugh that win. | 爵爷,光放话是赢不了的 |
[1:41:14] | Gentlemen. | 各位先生 |
[1:41:37] | I’ll get a surgeon. | 我去找医生 |
[1:41:44] | Have some brandy, Sir Charles. | 喝些白兰地,查尔斯爵爷 |
[1:41:46] | From a report | 根据《圣詹姆斯纪事报》报导 |
[1:41:50] | “Died at Spa in Belgium… | “病逝于比利时的疗养院 |
[1:41:54] | “…Sir Charles Reginald Lyndon… | 查尔斯雷纳德林登爵爷… |
[1:41:58] | “…Knight of the Bath, Member of Parliament… | 巴斯的骑士,国会成员 |
[1:42:01] | “…and for many years… | 多年以来… |
[1:42:03] | “…His Majesty’s Representative at various European Courts. | 代表国王陛下出使欧洲数国 |
[1:42:08] | “He has left behind him a name which is endeared to all his friends.” | 他死后留下的名声 让朋友永远珍惜怀念” |
[1:43:04] | “Dearly beloved… | “各位亲友… |
[1:43:06] | “…we are gathered together here in the sight of God… | 我们聚集在此,在上帝的眼前 |
[1:43:10] | “…and in the face of this congregation… | 在所有人的面前 |
[1:43:14] | “…to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony.” | 一起见证这对男女的结合” |
[1:43:18] | A year later, on the fifteenth of June… | 一年后的6月15日 |
[1:43:22] | …in the year 1773… | 也就是1773年 |
[1:43:25] | …Redmond Barry had the honor to lead to the altar the Countess of Lyndon. | 瑞德蒙巴里有幸 跟林登伯爵夫人步上红毯的另一端 |
[1:43:32] | The ceremony was performed by the Reverend Runt, Her Ladyship’s Chaplain. | 由兰特牧师主婚 他也是夫人的牧师 |
[1:43:37] | “And therefore is not in any way to be enterprised… | “无法事先计划 |
[1:43:41] | “…nor taken in hand unadvisedly… | 或是鲁莽行动 |
[1:43:46] | “…lightly or wantonly… | 不论轻重 |
[1:43:50] | “…to satisfy men’s carnal lusts and appetites… | 满足人的欲望跟胃口 |
[1:43:54] | “…like brute beasts that have no understanding. | 像是没有智慧的野兽 |
[1:44:00] | “But reverently… | 而是虔诚地 |
[1:44:03] | “…discreetly… | 低调地 |
[1:44:05] | “…advisedly… | 谨慎地 |
[1:44:08] | “…soberly… | 清醒地 |
[1:44:10] | “…and in the fear of God. | 敬畏着上帝 |
[1:44:14] | “Duly considering the causes for which matrimony was ordained. | 思考婚姻的要素 |
[1:44:20] | “First… | 首先 |
[1:44:22] | “…it was ordained for the procreation of children to be brought up… | 是为了繁衍子孙,教导他们 |
[1:44:26] | “…in the fear and nurture of the Lord, and to the praise of His holy name. | 害怕及敬畏上帝,赞美祂的名 |
[1:44:32] | “Secondly… | 其次 |
[1:44:34] | “…it was ordained for a remedy against sin, and to avoid fornication… | 是为了对抗罪孽,避免通奸罪行 |
[1:44:40] | “…that such persons….” | 许多人…” |
[1:44:42] | Barry had now arrived at the pitch of prosperity… | 巴里终于晋身上流社会 |
[1:44:46] | …and by his own energy had raised himself to a higher sphere of society… | 他靠自己的力量加入上流社会 |
[1:44:53] | …having procured His Majesty’s gracious permission to add the name… | 得到国王批准,让他改姓 |
[1:44:58] | …of his lovely Lady to his own. | 使用他太太的姓氏 |
[1:45:01] | Thenceforth, Redmond Barry assumed the style… | 因此瑞德蒙巴里… |
[1:45:06] | …and title of Barry Lyndon. | 继承了头衔,改名为巴里林登 |
[1:45:40] | Redmond, would you mind not smoking for a while? | 瑞德蒙,你能不能别抽烟了? |
[1:45:50] | Redmond? | 瑞德蒙 |
[1:45:59] | Lady Lyndon was soon destined to occupy a place in Barry’s life… | 林登夫人很快地 在巴里的生活占了一个小角落 |
[1:46:05] | …not very much more important than the elegant carpets and pictures… | 就像是优雅的地毯跟画作 |
[1:46:10] | …which would form the pleasant background of his existence. | 成为他存在的背景 |
[1:46:24] | My Lord Bullingdon, you seem particularly glum today. | 布林顿子爵,今天你似乎特别忧郁 |
[1:46:32] | You should be happy that your mother has remarried. | 你应该很开心你妈妈再婚了 |
[1:46:39] | Not in this way. | 我不希望她就这么再婚了 |
[1:46:44] | And not in such haste. | 不要这么急 |
[1:46:47] | And certainly not to this man. | 对象也不该是这个男人 |
[1:46:53] | I think you judge your mother too harshly. | 我想你太苛责你妈妈了 |
[1:46:57] | Do you not like your new father? | 你不喜欢你的新爸爸吗? |
[1:47:02] | Not very much. | 我不太喜欢他 |
[1:47:05] | He seems to me little more than a common opportunist. | 我认为他只是贪图名利的投机分子 |
[1:47:09] | I don’t think he loves my mother at all. | 我相信他根本不爱我妈 |
[1:47:13] | And it hurts me to see her make such a fool of herself. | 看到她这样欺骗自己让我很难过 |
[1:47:37] | At the end of a year Her Ladyship presented Barry with a son. | 年底夫人帮巴里生了一个儿子 |
[1:47:42] | Bryan Patrick Lyndon, they called him. | 布莱恩派翠克林登 |
[1:48:09] | Her Ladyship and Barry lived, after a while, pretty separate. | 之后夫人跟巴里各过各的生活 |
[1:48:15] | She preferred quiet, or to say the truth, he preferred it for her… | 她喜欢安静的生活 应该说他希望她… |
[1:48:21] | …being a great friend to a modest and tranquil behavior in woman. | 是个安静低调的女人 |
[1:48:27] | Besides, she was a mother, and would have great comfort… | 而且她是个母亲,应该忙着… |
[1:48:31] | …in the dressing, educating and dandling of their little Bryan. | 照顾跟教养他们的小布莱恩 |
[1:48:36] | For whose sake it was fit, Barry believed… | 根据这些理由,巴里相信 |
[1:48:39] | …that she should give up the pleasures and frivolities of the world… | 她应该放弃花花世界的诱惑 |
[1:48:43] | …leaving that part of the duty of every family of distinction… | 将那样的责任跟家庭义务 |
[1:48:47] | …to be performed by him. | 交给他来处理 |
[1:50:07] | Lady Lyndon tended to a melancholy and maudlin temper… | 林登夫人变得忧郁伤感 |
[1:50:12] | …and, left alone by her husband, was rarely happy or in good humor. | 遭到丈夫冷落的她 一点都不快乐,心情郁闷 |
[1:50:18] | Now she must add jealousy to her other complaints… | 现在还加上嫉妒 |
[1:50:22] | …and find rivals even among her maids. | 发现连女佣都是她的情敌 |
[1:50:55] | Samuel, what would the time be? | 山缪尔,几点了? |
[1:51:01] | Twenty-five minutes past eleven, My Lady. | 11点25分,夫人 |
[1:51:17] | Shall we make this the last game, ladies? | 这是最后一局了,好吗? |
[1:51:20] | Yes. | 好的 |
[1:52:09] | Good morning, ladies. | 大家早安 |
[1:52:11] | Good morning, sir. | 早安 |
[1:52:14] | Would you mind excusing us? I’d like a word alone with Lady Lyndon. | 能让我们独处一下吗? 我有话跟林登夫人说 |
[1:52:43] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:53:28] | This coat is made of the finest velvet… | 这件外套用最上等的丝绒做的 |
[1:53:32] | …all cunningly worked with silver thread. | 以银线精巧缝制而成 |
[1:53:35] | No finer velvet has ever been woven, and you will see none better anywhere. | 再也找不到更高级的丝绒 这是最上等的货色 |
[1:53:40] | Pardon me, gentlemen. | 对不起,各位 |
[1:53:45] | Good morning, dearest. | 早安,亲爱的 |
[1:53:48] | We’re taking the children for a ride to the village. We’ll be back for tea. | 我们要带孩子们到村里逛一下 会赶回来喝茶 |
[1:53:52] | Have a nice time. I’ll see you then. | 祝你们玩得愉快,到时候见 |
[1:53:55] | Goodbye, little Bryan. | 再见,小布莱恩 |
[1:54:01] | Lord Bullingdon. | 布林顿子爵 |
[1:54:05] | Take good care of your mother. | 好好照顾你妈妈 |
[1:54:13] | Come now, give your father a proper kiss. | 快亲一下你爸爸 |
[1:54:26] | Lord Bullingdon… | 布林顿子爵… |
[1:54:28] | …is that the way to behave to your father? | 你该那样对待你爸爸吗? |
[1:54:35] | Lord Bullingdon, have you lost your tongue? | 布林顿子爵,你不会说话了吗? |
[1:54:40] | My father was Sir Charles Lyndon. I have not forgotten him, if others have. | 我爸爸是查尔斯林登爵爷 就算别人不记得,我不会忘记他 |
[1:54:47] | Lord Bullingdon, you have insulted your father! | 布林顿子爵,你侮辱了你爸爸! |
[1:54:51] | Madam, you have insulted my father. | 妈妈,是你侮辱了我爸爸 |
[1:54:58] | Dearest, would you excuse us? We have something to discuss in private. | 亲爱的,失陪一下 我们有事得私下讨论 |
[1:55:03] | Gentlemen. | 各位先生 |
[1:55:17] | One. | 一 |
[1:55:21] | Two. | 二 |
[1:55:26] | Three. | 三 |
[1:55:30] | Four. | 四 |
[1:55:35] | Five. | 五 |
[1:55:39] | Six. | 六 |
[1:55:49] | Lord Bullingdon… | 布林顿子爵 |
[1:55:52] | …I have always been willing to live with you on friendly terms. | 我非常乐意跟你和平相处 |
[1:55:56] | But be clear about one thing: | 请记得一件事 |
[1:55:59] | As men serve me, I serve them. | 谁对我好,我就会对谁好 |
[1:56:03] | I never laid a cane on the back of a Lord before… | 我从未鞭打过爵爷 |
[1:56:05] | …but, if you force me to, I shall speedily become used to the practice. | 如果你逼我那么做 我会毫不迟疑地下手 |
[1:56:12] | Do you have anything to say for yourself? | 你有什么话要说吗? |
[1:56:17] | No. | 没有 |
[1:56:21] | You may go. | 你可以走了 |
[1:56:23] | Barry believed, and not without some reason, that it had been… | 巴里相信,那是有根据的… |
[1:56:28] | …a declaration of war against him by Bullingdon from the start… | 布林顿一开始就跟他宣战 |
[1:56:33] | …and that the evil consequences that ensued… | 会发生这些不好的事 |
[1:56:36] | …were entirely of Bullingdon’s creating. | 都是布林顿的错 |
[1:56:41] | I shall make you into a real magician now, Bryan. | 我要让你变成真的魔术师,布莱恩 |
[1:56:44] | I shall show you the knot that never was. | 我要教你怎么把绳结变不见 |
[1:56:48] | As Bullingdon grew up to be a man… | 布林顿长大成人 |
[1:56:52] | …his hatred for Barry assumed an intensity… | 他越来越恨巴里 |
[1:56:56] | …equaled only by his increased devotion to his mother. | 就像他越来越爱他母亲一样 |
[1:56:59] | Very good, Bryan. A little bow. | 非常好,布莱恩,敬个礼 |
[1:57:04] | Put it on the table for me. Thank you. | 帮我放在桌上,谢谢 |
[1:57:07] | For Bryan’s eighth birthday the local nobility, gentry and their children… | 布莱恩的八岁生日 当地贵族跟名人带着孩子 |
[1:57:14] | …came to pay their respects. | 来帮他庆生 |
[1:57:15] | The inside and outside are quite empty. | 里外都是空的 |
[1:57:19] | Wave your hand over the top. Is there anything there? | 在上面挥一下手,里面有东西吗? |
[1:57:22] | Yes? Oh! | 有吗? |
[1:57:24] | Wonderful! Wonderful, colorful silk handkerchiefs! | 太棒了!太棒了! 彩色丝质手帕 |
[1:57:27] | Take a bow, Bryan, you did that beautifully. | 敬个礼,布莱恩,你做得很好 |
[1:57:30] | Very good. | 非常好 |
[1:57:32] | Let’s see if you have something behind your ear. | 来看一下你耳朵后面有没有东西 |
[1:57:35] | Yes, you have. Ha, ha. | 真的有 |
[1:57:36] | A little ball. Let’s make it vanish. | 是颗小球,我们来把它变不见吧 |
[1:57:38] | It’s gone. | 不见了 |
[1:57:39] | Here it is, behind my elbow. | 就在这里,我的手肘后面 |
[1:57:44] | Wave your hand over my green silk handkerchief… | 在我的绿色丝质手帕上方挥挥手 |
[1:57:47] | …and see if we can produce a magic flower. I wonder if we can? | 来看一下我们能不能变出魔术花 不知道我们能不能办到? |
[1:57:52] | Here it comes. | 来吧 |
[1:57:55] | The colors of the rainbow. | 彩虹的颜色 |
[1:57:57] | You know all the colors of the rainbow produce but one color, Bryan. | 你知道彩虹的颜色 只会制造出一种颜色,布莱恩 |
[1:58:02] | Nothing in my magic cabinet. | 我的魔盒里什么都没有 |
[1:58:04] | They produce the color…white. | 全部的颜色会变出…白色 |
[1:58:06] | And there is my own… | 这是我的… |
[1:58:08] | …beautiful white rabbit. | 漂亮白兔 |
[1:58:13] | Bryan, you did that very well. A little bow. | 布莱恩,你做得很好,敬个礼 |
[1:58:40] | We crept up on their fort, and I jumped over the wall first. | 我们突击他们的堡垒,我先翻过墙 |
[1:58:44] | My fellows jumped after me. | 我的部下跟着我翻墙 |
[1:58:46] | You should have seen the Frenchmen’s faces when 23 rampaging he-devils… | 你该看看那些法国人脸上的表情 面对23位勇敢的士兵 |
[1:58:51] | …sword and pistol, cut and thrust, came tumbling into their fort. | 带剑跟手枪,一路冲刺 爬进他们的堡垒里 |
[1:58:57] | In three minutes we left as many Artillerymen’s heads… | 三分钟内我们就离开了 杀死的炮兵… |
[1:59:01] | …as there were cannonballs. | 跟大炮一样多 |
[1:59:04] | Later we were visited by our noble Prince Henry. | 之后亨利亲王来看我们 |
[1:59:08] | “Who is the man who has done this?” I stepped forward. | “这是谁的功劳?” 我向前跨一步 |
[1:59:13] | “How many heads was it that you cut off?” He says. | 他说”你杀了多少敌人?” |
[1:59:16] | “Nineteen,” says I, “besides wounding several.” | 我说”19个,还有一些人受伤” |
[1:59:20] | Well, I’ll be blessed, if he didn’t burst into tears. | 结果他哭了起来 |
[1:59:24] | “Noble, noble fellow,” he said. | 他说”这真是大大的功劳 |
[1:59:26] | “Here is nineteen golden guineas, one for each head that you cut off.” | 这里有19个金币 为你杀死的19个敌人” |
[1:59:31] | What do you think of that? | 你觉得如何? |
[1:59:33] | Were you allowed to keep the heads? | 你可以留下敌人的头吗? |
[1:59:36] | No, they always become the property of the King. | 不,那是国王的财产 |
[1:59:40] | Will you tell me another story? | 你能再说个故事给我听吗? |
[1:59:42] | I’ll tell you one tomorrow. | 明天再说吧 |
[1:59:44] | Will you play cards with me tomorrow? | 明天你会陪我玩牌吗? |
[1:59:47] | Of course I will. Now go to sleep. | 当然会,快睡吧 |
[1:59:54] | Will you keep the candles lit? | 能不能别吹熄蜡烛? |
[1:59:56] | Bryan, big boys don’t sleep with the candles lit. | 布莱恩,大孩子睡觉时不必点蜡烛 |
[2:00:00] | I’m afraid of the dark. | 我怕黑 |
[2:00:02] | My darling, there’s nothing to be afraid of. | 亲爱的,没什么好怕的 |
[2:00:06] | But, I like it with the candles lit. | 但我喜欢点着蜡烛睡 |
[2:00:08] | All right, you can sleep with the candles lit. | 好吧,你可以点着蜡烛睡 |
[2:00:13] | Thank you, Papa. | 谢谢爸爸 |
[2:00:14] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[2:00:38] | Ah, Redmond! | 瑞德蒙 |
[2:00:40] | It’s a blessing to see my darling boy has attained a position I knew was his due. | 真高兴看到我的儿子 取得他应有的地位 |
[2:00:48] | And for which I pinched myself to educate him. | 我为此努力刻苦地教养过他 |
[2:00:53] | Little Bryan is a darling boy… | 布莱恩是个好孩子 |
[2:00:56] | …and you live in great splendor. | 你过着好日子 |
[2:00:59] | Your lady wife knows she has a treasure… | 你太太知道她找到了幸福 |
[2:01:01] | …she couldn’t have had, had she married a Duke. | 就算嫁给一个公爵 她也不可能过得这么好 |
[2:01:06] | But, if she should tire of my wild Redmond… | 如果她厌倦了我的瑞德蒙 |
[2:01:10] | …and his old-fashioned Irish ways… | 跟他的传统爱尔兰生活方式 |
[2:01:14] | …or if she should die… | 或是她死了 |
[2:01:17] | …what future would there be for my son, and my grandson? | 我儿子跟孙子会有什么下场? |
[2:01:22] | You have not a penny of your own… | 你自己没有钱 |
[2:01:26] | …and cannot transact any business without her signature. | 没有她签名,无法完成任何交易 |
[2:01:31] | Upon her death the entire estate would go to young Bullingdon… | 她死后由布林顿继承家产 |
[2:01:37] | …who bears you little affection. | 而且他一点都不喜欢你 |
[2:01:41] | You could be penniless tomorrow… | 明天你可能就变得身无分文 |
[2:01:44] | …and darling Bryan at the mercy of his stepbrother. | 亲爱的布莱恩得看继兄的脸色过活 |
[2:01:52] | Shall I tell you something? | 我能跟你说一件事吗? |
[2:01:55] | There is only one way for you and your son to have real security. | 只有一个方法 能让你跟你儿子安心过日 |
[2:02:01] | You must obtain a title. | 你必须取得头衔 |
[2:02:05] | I shall not rest until I see you Lord Lyndon. | 在你成为林登勋爵前 我是不会安心的 |
[2:02:12] | You have important friends. | 你跟大人物做朋友 |
[2:02:14] | They can tell you how these things are done. | 他们能告诉你该怎么做 |
[2:02:18] | For money, well-timed and properly applied… | 只要有钱、看好时机、找对门路 |
[2:02:22] | …can accomplish anything. | 没有做不到的事 |
[2:02:27] | And Barry was acquainted with someone… | 巴里的确认识 |
[2:02:30] | …who knew how these things were done. | 一个知道怎么处理这种事的人 |
[2:02:33] | This was the distinguished Barrister and former Government Minister… | 他就是知名的律师跟前政府官员 |
[2:02:38] | …Lord Hallam… | 哈伦勋爵 |
[2:02:40] | …whose acquaintance he had made, like so many others, at the gaming table. | 跟许多人一样 他跟他是在牌桌上认识的 |
[2:02:46] | Do you happen to know the Thirteenth Earl of Wendover? | 你认识第13任温多佛伯爵吗? |
[2:02:51] | I don’t believe I do. | 我想我不认识 |
[2:02:53] | Well, this nobleman is one of the Gentlemen of His Majesty’s Closet… | 这位贵族仍是国王的侍臣 |
[2:02:58] | …with whom our revered Monarch is on terms of considerable intimacy. | 他跟国王的关系非常密切 |
[2:03:04] | In my opinion, you would be wise to fix upon him… | 我认为你该跟他打交道 |
[2:03:09] | …your chief reliance for the advancement of your claim to the peerage. | 他可以帮助你取得头衔 |
[2:03:16] | When I take up a person, Mr. Lyndon, he, or she, is safe. | 林登先生,有我的保证 要取得头衔不是问题 |
[2:03:21] | There is no question about them anymore. | 那是无庸置疑的 |
[2:03:24] | My friends are the best people. I don’t mean they’re the most virtuous… | 我的朋友是最好的人 我不是指他们最有美德 |
[2:03:29] | …or, indeed, the least virtuous, or the cleverest… | 或最没有美德,或最聪明 |
[2:03:33] | …or the stupidest, richest or best born. | 还是最愚蠢 最富裕或出身最好的人 |
[2:03:36] | But, the best. | 但他们都是最好的 |
[2:03:38] | In a word, people about whom there is no question. | 换句话说,大家不用怀疑他们 |
[2:03:43] | I cannot promise how long it will take. | 我无法保证要花多少时间 |
[2:03:47] | You can appreciate it is not an easy matter. | 你应该能了解要这么做并不容易 |
[2:03:50] | But, any gentleman with an estate, and 30,000 a year… | 但家有钜产、年收入三万镑的人 |
[2:03:55] | …should have a peerage. | 都应该有头衔 |
[2:04:01] | And there standing behind me was a total stranger. | 我身后站了一个陌生人 |
[2:04:05] | I looked at him, and he said to me: | 我看着他,他跟我说 |
[2:04:08] | “Excuse me, sir, could you tell me, is Lord Wendover alive or dead?” | “对不起,你能告诉我 温多佛伯爵是否还活着?” |
[2:04:15] | I was so astonished, I couldn’t think of what to say. | 我非常讶异,不知道该怎么说 |
[2:04:18] | Then I became angry, and said to him, “He’s dead.” | 我非常生气地跟他说”他死了” |
[2:04:21] | The striving after this peerage was one of Barry’s most unlucky dealings. | 追求头衔是巴里最不智的举动之一 |
[2:04:28] | He made great sacrifices to bring it about. | 他为了完成目标做出极大的牺牲 |
[2:04:32] | He lavished money here, and diamonds there. | 他花钱在许多地方打点 |
[2:04:36] | He bought lands at ten times their value… | 以十倍价格买下土地 |
[2:04:39] | …purchased pictures and articles of virtue at ruinous prices. | 以天价卖下画作跟艺术品 |
[2:04:45] | He gave entertainments to those friends to his claim… | 他花钱宴请声称… |
[2:04:49] | …who, being about the Royal person, were likely to advance it. | 能帮助他成为贵族的朋友 |
[2:04:54] | And, I can tell you, bribes were administered. And in high places, too. | 我得说,到处都有人贿赂 上流社会也是如此 |
[2:05:01] | So near the person of His Majesty that you would be astonished to know… | 你会讶异于在国王身边的 这些上流贵族… |
[2:05:06] | …what great noblemen condescended to receive his loans. | 竟会无耻地收下他的钱 |
[2:05:13] | This is by Ludovico Cordi… | 这是柯迪的画 |
[2:05:16] | …a disciple of Alessandro Allori. | 他是阿娄里的弟子 |
[2:05:20] | It’s dated 1605… | 年代是1605年 |
[2:05:23] | …and shows, “The Adoration of The Magi.” | 画作叫做《东方三王来朝》 |
[2:05:28] | It’s beautiful. | 真漂亮 |
[2:05:30] | Yes. | 对 |
[2:05:32] | I love the use of the color blue by the artist. | 我喜欢画家对蓝色的运用 |
[2:05:36] | Yes, that is very beautiful. | 对,那真的很漂亮 |
[2:05:40] | What is the price of this one? | 这幅画多少钱? |
[2:05:44] | Well, this is one of my best pictures. | 这是我手上最好的一幅画 |
[2:05:47] | But, if you really like it, I’m sure we can come to some arrangement. | 如果你真的喜欢 我相信我们能做些安排 |
[2:05:56] | Count Andrachier. | 安德瑞奇伯爵 |
[2:05:58] | Count Andrachier. | 安德瑞奇伯爵 |
[2:05:59] | Mr. Henry Drummond. | 亨利杜鲁蒙先生 |
[2:06:01] | Mr. Drummond. | 杜鲁蒙先生 |
[2:06:02] | Sir Gilbert Elliot, Your Majesty. | 吉伯特艾略特爵爷,陛下 |
[2:06:04] | Sir Gilbert. | 吉伯特爵爷 |
[2:06:05] | Lord Wendover, Your Majesty. | 温多佛伯爵,陛下 |
[2:06:07] | I’m glad to see you here today, Lord Wendover. | 今天很高兴能见到你,温多佛伯爵 |
[2:06:09] | What news of Lady Wendover? | 温多佛伯爵夫人还好吧? |
[2:06:11] | Thank you, Your Majesty. Lady Wendover is much better. | 谢谢陛下 温多佛夫人好多了 |
[2:06:15] | Good! Present my compliments to her. Say we miss her company here. | 很好,请帮我跟她问好 跟她说我们都很想念她 |
[2:06:19] | Thank you, Your Majesty. | 谢谢陛下 |
[2:06:21] | And what of those excellent boys of yours? | 你的儿子都还好吗? |
[2:06:23] | They’re well. Charles has gone to sea under Captain Geary on the Ramillies. | 他们都很好,查尔斯搭拉米利斯号 跟着盖利船长出海了 |
[2:06:28] | John has gone to Oxford to learn how to preach and pray. | 约翰到牛津学神学 |
[2:06:31] | Good, good! | 很好 |
[2:06:33] | Your Majesty, may I present Mr. Barry Lyndon. | -陛下,请容我介绍巴里林登先生 -陛下 |
[2:06:36] | Mr. Lyndon. We were very fond of Sir Charles Lyndon. | 林登先生 我们很想念查尔斯林登爵爷 |
[2:06:40] | And how is Lady Lyndon? | 林登夫人还好吧? |
[2:06:42] | She’s very well, Your Majesty. | 她很好,陛下 |
[2:06:44] | Mr. Lyndon raised a company of troops to fight in America against the rebels. | 林登先生要组织一支军队 到美洲镇压叛军 |
[2:06:49] | Good, Mr. Lyndon. Raise another company and go with them, too. | 很好,林登先生 请再组一支大军跟他们一起出征 |
[2:06:54] | Sir Christopher Neville. | 克利斯多佛尼维爵爷 |
[2:06:56] | Sir Christopher. | 克利斯多佛爵爷 |
[2:06:58] | Peregrine Cavendish. | 佩瑞葛林卡凡迪希 |
[2:06:59] | Mr. Peregrine. | 佩瑞葛林先生 |
[2:07:06] | Barry was born clever enough at gaining a fortune… | 巴里天生就懂得赚钱 |
[2:07:11] | …but incapable of keeping one. | 但他守不住财产 |
[2:07:14] | For the qualities and energies which lead a man to achieve the first… | 有天分跟能力赚钱的人 |
[2:07:19] | …are often the very cause of his ruin in the latter case. | 通常也因此落得倾家荡产 |
[2:07:24] | Now he was burdened with the harassing cares and responsibilities… | 现在他得处理一大堆事务 有更多的责任 |
[2:07:29] | …which are the dismal adjuncts of great rank and property. | 都是头衔跟财产带来的压力 |
[2:07:33] | And his life now… | 此时,他的日子… |
[2:07:35] | …seemed to consist mostly of drafts of letters to lawyers and money-brokers… | 多半忙于写信给律师 跟财产管理人 |
[2:07:40] | …and endless correspondence… | 忙着应付… |
[2:07:42] | …with decorators and cooks. | 设计师跟厨师 |
[2:08:09] | Gentlemen, I’m going to leave you for a few minutes. Carry on with your work. | 两位,我要离开几分钟 继续做功课 |
[2:08:13] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[2:08:32] | Bully. | 布林 |
[2:08:34] | Mm-hm? | 嗯? |
[2:08:37] | What does… | “费力”… |
[2:08:40] | …”strenuous” mean? | 是什么意思? |
[2:08:46] | Bryan, I’m trying to work. | 布莱恩,我在念书 |
[2:08:50] | But what does it mean? | 那是什么意思? |
[2:08:56] | It means “an effort requiring strength.” | 意思是花力气去做一件事 |
[2:09:05] | What does “quadrangle” mean? | “四边形”是什么意思? |
[2:09:13] | A quadrangle is a four-sided figure like a square or a rectangle. | 四边形是有四个边的形状 譬如正方形或长方形 |
[2:09:18] | Now, please be quiet, and let me get on with my work. | 请安静点,我要做功课 |
[2:09:36] | Bryan, please be quiet! | 布莱恩,请你安静一点! |
[2:09:43] | Have you seen my pencil? | 你有看到我的铅笔吗? |
[2:09:48] | No, I haven’t. | 我没看到 |
[2:10:04] | Bryan, please stop making so much noise. | 布莱恩,请你不要吵我 |
[2:10:11] | That’s my pencil. | 那是我的铅笔 |
[2:10:12] | No, it isn’t. | 才不是! |
[2:10:13] | It is. It’s my pencil! | -就是,那是我的铅笔! -这不是你的! |
[2:10:15] | I’ve had this all morning. | 整个早上我都在用这支铅笔 |
[2:10:17] | It’s my pencil! | -这是我的铅笔! -去坐下! |
[2:10:18] | Listen, will you be quiet! | -这是我的铅笔! -听着,拜托你安静一点! |
[2:10:20] | It’s my pencil! | 那是我的铅笔! |
[2:10:23] | I’ll teach you a lesson. | 我要好好教训你 |
[2:10:27] | What the devil’s going on in here? | 到底是怎么一回事? |
[2:10:31] | I told you never to lay a hand on this child. | 我说过不准你对这孩子动手 |
[2:10:36] | One. | 一 |
[2:10:41] | Two. | 二 |
[2:10:45] | Three. | 三 |
[2:10:49] | Four. | 四 |
[2:10:52] | Five. | 五 |
[2:10:56] | -Aah! -Six. | 六 |
[2:11:04] | Will that be all, Mr. Redmond Barry? | 你打完了吗,瑞德蒙巴里先生? |
[2:11:08] | Yes, that will be all. | 对,我打完了 |
[2:11:14] | Well then, look you now. | 那么你得听我说 |
[2:11:17] | From this moment, I will submit to no further chastisement from you. | 从现在开始 我不会再接受你的处罚 |
[2:11:24] | I will kill you if you lay hands on me ever again. | 你敢再打我,我会杀了你 |
[2:11:30] | Is that clear to you, sir? | 你听清楚了吗? |
[2:11:36] | Get out of here! | 给我滚出去 |
[2:13:38] | Don’t you think he fits my shoes very well, Your Ladyship? | 你不觉得他跟我的鞋 他穿得很合适吗,夫人? |
[2:13:47] | Dear child… | 亲爱的孩子 |
[2:13:50] | …what a pity it is I’m not dead, for your sake. | 我还活着,对你来说真的很不幸 |
[2:13:56] | The Lyndons would then have a worthy representative… | 林登家会有个适当的继承人 |
[2:13:59] | …and enjoy all the benefits… | 享受显赫的巴里家族… |
[2:14:01] | …of the illustrious blood of the Barrys of Barryville. | 带来的所有福利 |
[2:14:09] | Would they not… | 对吧… |
[2:14:11] | …Mr. Redmond Barry? | 瑞德蒙巴里先生? |
[2:14:19] | From the way I love this child… | 我有多爱这个孩子 |
[2:14:22] | …you ought to know how I would’ve loved his elder brother… | 你就该知道我有多爱他的哥哥 |
[2:14:25] | …had he proved worthy of any mother’s affection. | 如果他也能爱他的母亲 |
[2:14:29] | Madam! | 夫人! |
[2:14:33] | I have borne as long as mortal could endure… | 我一直在忍受 |
[2:14:36] | …the ill treatment of the insolent Irish upstart whom you’ve taken to your bed. | 你的爱尔兰丈夫对我的无礼虐待 |
[2:14:42] | It is not only his lowly birth and the brutality of his manners which disgust me. | 不只是他的低微出身 跟粗鲁举止让我觉得恶心 |
[2:14:48] | But the shameful nature of his conduct toward Your Ladyship… | 还有他对夫人做出的可耻行为 |
[2:14:52] | …his brutal and ungentlemanlike behavior… | 他残酷野蛮的举动 |
[2:14:55] | …his open infidelity… | 还有公开背叛你 |
[2:14:57] | …his shameless robberies and swindling of my property, and yours. | 无耻地强取豪夺你跟我的财产 |
[2:15:02] | And as I cannot personally chastise this low-bred ruffian, and cannot bear… | 我无法亲自鞭笞这个卑贱恶徒 也无法忍受… |
[2:15:07] | …to witness his treatment of you… | 见证他对你的所作所为 |
[2:15:09] | …and loathe his company as if it were the plague… | 我厌恶有他在身边 对他避之唯恐不及 |
[2:15:13] | …I have decided to leave my home and never return. | 因此我决定离开我自己的家 再也不会回来 |
[2:15:17] | At least, during his detested life… | 至少在他可憎的余生 |
[2:15:20] | …or during my own. | 或者我的有生之年,我不会回来 |
[2:16:53] | Good day, My Lord. | 你好,爵爷 |
[2:16:55] | Good day, Barker. | 你好,贝克 |
[2:16:59] | Will anyone be joining Your Lordship? | 有人陪你一起来吗,爵爷? |
[2:17:00] | No, I shall be alone. | 不,我是一个人 |
[2:17:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:17:13] | The roast beef’s very good, My Lord. | 烤牛肉很不错,爵爷 |
[2:17:15] | Uh-huh. | 嗯哼 |
[2:17:36] | Hello, Neville. How are you? | 尼维,你好吗? |
[2:17:39] | Ah, Barry. Hello. | 巴里,你好 |
[2:17:41] | I see you’re alone. Why don’t you join me? | 我看到你是一个人 何不过来跟我一起坐呢? |
[2:17:43] | Oh, thank you, Barry, you’re very kind, but… | 谢谢你,巴里,你太好心了 可是… |
[2:17:47] | …I’m expecting someone to join me. | 我在等人 |
[2:17:50] | What a shame! Lady Lyndon and I have missed your company lately. | 真可惜 林登夫人跟我最近很想念你 |
[2:17:55] | Please give my respects to Lady Lyndon… | 请帮我跟林登夫人问好 |
[2:17:57] | …and say I’ve been very busy of late and not been able to go about much. | 最近我很忙,没办法常过去 |
[2:18:01] | I shall. | 我会的 |
[2:18:02] | The eighth of next month we’re having some guests over for cards… | 下个月八号 我们要邀请客人过来打牌 |
[2:18:06] | …we’d love to have you and Lady Wendover join us. | 希望你跟温多佛夫人能一起来 |
[2:18:10] | I’ll check my diary, but I think I’m engaged on that evening. | 我得看一下行事历 但我想那晚我应该有事 |
[2:18:14] | I hope you’re not engaged. We’d love to see you again. | 希望你能把事情排开 我们很想再见到你 |
[2:18:18] | I’ll write and say if I’m free or not. | 我再写信告诉你,我有没有空 |
[2:18:21] | I look forward to hearing from you. It’s nice to see you again. | 我很期待能听到你的回音 很高兴能再见到你 |
[2:18:29] | If he had murdered Lord Bullingdon… | 就算他真的杀了布林顿子爵 |
[2:18:32] | …Barry could scarcely have been received with more coldness and resentment… | 巴里也不会得到 这么多冷淡愤慨的回应 |
[2:18:36] | …that now followed him in town and country. | 现在走到哪里,他都面临这样的窘境 |
[2:18:40] | His friends fell away from him. | 朋友远离了他 |
[2:18:43] | A legend arose of his cruelty to his stepson. | 大家都说他虐待他的继子 |
[2:18:57] | Now all the bills came down on him together. | 现在他还得烦心呆帐的问题 |
[2:19:01] | All the bills he had been contracting for the years of his marriage… | 结婚多年来,他签下大量的帐单 |
[2:19:05] | …and which the creditors sent in with a hasty unanimity. | 债主急着上门讨债 |
[2:19:08] | Their amount was frightful. | 数目惊人 |
[2:19:12] | Barry was now bound up in an inextricable toil of bills and debts… | 巴里被一大堆的帐单、债务 |
[2:19:17] | …of mortgages and insurances, and all the evils attendant upon them. | 贷款、保险跟他的恶行所淹没 |
[2:19:23] | Lady Lyndon’s income was hampered almost irretrievably… | 林登夫人的收入几乎无法… |
[2:19:27] | …to satisfy these claims. | 支付这些款项 |
[2:20:17] | Do you think that’s good? | 你觉得可以吗? |
[2:20:18] | Excellent. | 非常好 |
[2:20:20] | Who’s this? | 这是谁? |
[2:20:22] | It’s a peacock on the wall. | 这是墙上的孔雀 |
[2:20:26] | What’s it say? | 上面写了什么? |
[2:20:27] | I saw this bird yesterday. | 昨天我看到这只鸟 |
[2:20:34] | Who’s that? | 那是谁? |
[2:20:36] | Mama in her coach. | 妈妈坐在马车里 |
[2:20:39] | Is she going to London? | 她要去伦敦吗? |
[2:20:42] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[2:20:45] | Parry. | 挡开 |
[2:20:46] | Parry. | 挡开 |
[2:20:48] | Very good. | 非常好 |
[2:20:50] | Barry had his faults… | 巴里犯了很多错误 |
[2:20:52] | …but no man could say of him that he was not a good and tender father. | 但没有人能说他不是个好父亲 |
[2:20:58] | He loved his son with a blind partiality. | 他宠溺他的儿子 |
[2:21:02] | He denied him nothing. | 从来不拒绝他的要求 |
[2:21:05] | It is impossible to convey what high hopes he had for the boy… | 很难描述他对儿子的期待有多高 |
[2:21:10] | …and how he indulged in a thousand fond anticipations… | 他殷切期盼 |
[2:21:13] | …as to his future success and figure in the world. | 未来他会是个有成就的人 |
[2:21:19] | But fate had determined that he should leave none of his race behind him… | 但命运注定他无法留下血脉 |
[2:21:24] | …that he should finish his life… | 他的余生则会是… |
[2:21:27] | …poor, lonely… | 贫穷、孤单 |
[2:21:29] | …and childless. | 没有子嗣送终 |
[2:21:40] | Papa. | 爸爸 |
[2:21:41] | Yes, Bryan? | 什么事,布莱恩? |
[2:21:42] | Will you buy me a horse? | 你能送我一匹马吗? |
[2:21:44] | Buy you a horse? | 送你一匹马? |
[2:21:46] | Yes, Papa. | 是的,爸爸 |
[2:21:48] | But you already have little Julia. | 但你已经有小茱莉亚了 |
[2:21:50] | She’s only a pony, I want a real horse. | 它只是一匹小马,我要真的马 |
[2:21:53] | Then I can ride with you on the hunt. | 那样子我就能跟你骑马去打猎 |
[2:21:55] | You think you’re big enough for the hunt? | 你觉得你大到可以去打猎了? |
[2:21:57] | Oh, yes! | 当然,爸爸 |
[2:21:59] | Jonathan Plunkett is only a year older than I am and he rides with his papa. | 强纳森普兰奇特只比我大一岁 他跟他爸爸一起去骑马 |
[2:22:04] | I’ll have to think about it. | 我会考虑一下 |
[2:22:07] | Please, say yes. There’s nothing I want in the whole world more than a horse. | 拜托你答应我 我真的好想要一匹马 |
[2:22:13] | I’ll think about it. | 我会考虑的 |
[2:22:14] | Oh, thank you, Papa. Thank you! | 谢谢你,爸爸 |
[2:22:21] | How much are you asking for him? | 那匹马要多少钱? |
[2:22:23] | One hundred guineas. | 一百基尼 |
[2:22:26] | He’s a nice little horse, but I don’t think he’s worth that. | 它是匹好马 但我不觉得它值那么多钱 |
[2:22:30] | Seventy-five seems more like the right price. | 我想七十五基尼还差不多 |
[2:22:34] | I’ll accept eighty guineas, and not a shilling less. | 我接受八十基尼,不能再少了 |
[2:22:39] | Five guineas should never keep two gentlemen from their drink. Eighty then. | 我们不该为五基尼伤了和气 就八十基尼吧 |
[2:22:43] | Done, sir. | 成交,先生 |
[2:22:45] | Take the horse to Doolan’s farm. Tell him he needs a bit of breaking in. | 将马带到杜兰农场 跟他说马需要训练一下 |
[2:22:50] | Say it’s for Master Bryan’s birthday, and I want it to be a surprise. | 就说这是布莱恩少爷的生日礼物 我希望这是个惊喜 |
[2:22:54] | And remember that yourself. | 千万别忘记了 |
[2:22:55] | Yes, sir. | 是的,主人 |
[2:23:41] | Papa. | 爸爸 |
[2:23:44] | What is it, lad? | 怎么了,儿子? |
[2:23:45] | Did you buy the horse? | 你买了马吗? |
[2:23:50] | What horse is that? | 马?什么马? |
[2:23:52] | The horse you were going to buy me for my birthday. | 你要送我当生日礼物的马 |
[2:23:58] | I know nothing about any horse. | 我不知道有马的事 |
[2:24:00] | But one of the stable boys told Nelly you’d already bought it… | 但马房管理员跟尼利说 你已经买了一匹马 |
[2:24:05] | …and it was at Doolan’s farm where Mick the groom was breaking it in. | 还把它送到杜兰农场 要米克帮它做训练 |
[2:24:09] | Is that true? | 那是真的吗? |
[2:24:11] | When is your birthday? | 布莱恩,你什么时候过生日? |
[2:24:14] | Next Tuesday. | 下个星期二 |
[2:24:18] | Well, you’ll have to wait till then to find out. | 到时候你就会知道 |
[2:24:21] | Then, it’s true! Oh, thank you, Papa. | 那是真的!谢谢你,爸爸 |
[2:24:27] | Bryan? | 布莱恩 |
[2:24:29] | Bryan? | 布莱恩 |
[2:24:30] | Yes, Mama? | 什么事,妈妈? |
[2:24:32] | Promise me you won’t ride that horse except with your father. | 答应我,跟爸爸出去时 你才能骑那匹马 |
[2:24:37] | Yes, Mama, I promise. | 好的,妈妈,我答应你 |
[2:24:41] | And I promise you a good flogging… | 如果你乖乖的,我答应你 |
[2:24:43] | …if you even go to Doolan’s farm to see him before your birthday. | 过生日前你可以到杜兰农场看马 |
[2:24:47] | Yes, Papa. | 是的,爸爸 |
[2:24:48] | You understand? | 你懂吗? |
[2:24:50] | Yes, Papa. | 是的,爸爸 |
[2:24:51] | You promise me? | 你能答应我吗? |
[2:24:52] | Yes, Papa, I promise. | 好的,爸爸,我答应 |
[2:24:56] | All right, eat your food. | 好吧,快去吃饭 |
[2:25:07] | Come in. | 进来 |
[2:25:22] | Good morning, sir. | 早安 |
[2:25:23] | Good morning, Reverend. | 早安,牧师 |
[2:25:24] | I’m sorry to trouble you, Mr. Lyndon… | 抱歉打扰你,林登先生 |
[2:25:27] | …but I believe Master Bryan has disobeyed you… | 我相信布莱恩少爷不听从你的命令 |
[2:25:29] | …and stolen away to Doolan’s farm. | 偷溜到杜兰农场 |
[2:25:33] | On going to his room this morning, I found his bed empty. | 今天早上我到他的房间 发现床上空无一人 |
[2:25:36] | One of the cooks saw him cross the yard at daybreak. | 天亮时一位厨师看到他跑过庭院 |
[2:25:39] | Didn’t you see him go? | 你不知道他偷跑吗? |
[2:25:41] | He must have passed through my room while I was asleep. | 他一定是趁我睡着时溜出去的 |
[2:26:17] | Oh, my God! What has happened here? | 天啊,发生了什么事? |
[2:26:20] | I noticed the lad riding across the field, sir… | 我注意到这孩子骑马跑过田野 |
[2:26:25] | …and having trouble with the horse, which was playing up. | 他没办法控制狂奔的马 |
[2:26:29] | Suddenly the animal plunged and reared, and the poor lad was thrown. | 突然间马摔倒 这可怜的孩子被甩了出去 |
[2:26:36] | Oh, Bryan, why did you disobey me? | 布莱恩,为什么你不听我的话? |
[2:26:40] | I’m sorry, Papa. | 对不起,爸爸 |
[2:26:43] | You won’t whip me, will you? | 你不会打我吧? |
[2:26:47] | No, my darling. | 不会的,亲爱的 |
[2:26:50] | I won’t whip you. | 我不会打你 |
[2:26:56] | Take my horse and ride like the Devil for Doctor Broughton. | 威廉,骑我的马去找布洛顿医生 |
[2:27:01] | Tell him whatever he’s doing he must come at once. Understand? | 跟他说不论他在做什么 都得立刻赶过来,懂吗? |
[2:27:04] | Yes, sir. | 遵命,大人 |
[2:27:14] | The doctors were called. | 他找来医生 |
[2:27:17] | But what does a doctor avail in a contest with the grim, invincible enemy? | 但医生能打败死神吗? |
[2:27:22] | Such as came could only confirm the hopelessness of the poor child’s case. | 医生说这可怜的孩子没救了 |
[2:27:29] | He remained with his parents for two days. | 他只多活了两天 |
[2:27:33] | And a sad comfort it was to know he was in no pain. | 令人稍感安慰的是 他没有任何的痛苦 |
[2:27:38] | Papa. | 爸爸 |
[2:27:48] | Papa. | 爸爸 |
[2:27:50] | Am I going to die? | 我会死掉吗? |
[2:27:58] | No, my darling, you’re not going to die. You’re going to get better. | 不,亲爱的 你不会死掉,你会好起来 |
[2:28:07] | But I can’t feel anything, except in my hands. | 但除了手,我一点感觉都没有 |
[2:28:14] | Does that mean I’m already dead in part of my body? | 那表示我其他的部分死了吗? |
[2:28:26] | No, my darling, that’s where you were hurt by the horse. | 不,亲爱的,你摔下马时 那些部分受了伤 |
[2:28:32] | But you’re going to be all right. | 但你会好起来的 |
[2:28:39] | Papa, if I die, will I go to heaven? | 爸爸,如果我死了 我会上天堂吗? |
[2:28:48] | Of course you will, my darling… | 当然你会上天堂,亲爱的 |
[2:28:52] | …but you’re not going to die. | 但你不会死 |
[2:28:59] | Mama, give me your hand. | 妈妈,把手伸过来 |
[2:29:11] | Papa, give me your hand. | 爸爸,把手伸过来 |
[2:29:19] | Will you both promise me something? | 你们能答应我一件事吗? |
[2:29:25] | Yes. | 当然可以 |
[2:29:27] | Promise me never to quarrel so. | 答应我你们不会再吵架 |
[2:29:31] | But to love each other. | 你们会深爱彼此 |
[2:29:34] | So that we may meet again, in heaven… | 我们会在天堂再度相会 |
[2:29:39] | …where Bullingdon said quarrelsome people will never go. | 布林顿说爱吵架的人不会上天堂 |
[2:29:51] | We promise. | 我们答应你 |
[2:29:56] | Will you tell me the story about the fort? | 你能跟我说堡垒的故事吗? |
[2:30:02] | Of course. | 当然 |
[2:30:07] | We crept up on the fort. | 我们突击堡垒 |
[2:30:13] | I jumped over the wall first, and my fellows jumped after me. | 我先翻过墙,我的部下跟着我翻墙 |
[2:30:19] | And you should have seen the look… | 你该看看那些法国人… |
[2:30:23] | …on the Frenchmen’s faces when 23 he-devils, sword and pistol… | 脸上的表情 面对23位勇敢的士兵带剑跟手枪 |
[2:30:30] | …cut and thrust, came tumbling into the fort. | 一路冲刺,爬进他们的堡垒里 |
[2:30:35] | In three minutes… | 三分钟内… |
[2:30:39] | …we left…. | 我们就离开了… |
[2:30:51] | “‘I am the resurrection and the life,’ saith the Lord. | “我是复活和生命”,上帝说 |
[2:30:56] | “‘He that believeth in me, though he were dead… | “信我的人,虽然死了 |
[2:31:01] | “‘…yet shall he live. | 也必复活 |
[2:31:04] | “‘And whosoever liveth and believeth in me… | 凡活着信我的人 |
[2:31:09] | “‘…shall never die.’ | 必永远不死 |
[2:31:13] | “I know that my Redeemer liveth… | 我知道我的救世主活着 |
[2:31:16] | “…and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth. | 末了必站立在地上 |
[2:31:21] | “And though after my skin worms destroy this body… | 我这皮肉灭绝之后 |
[2:31:25] | “…yet in my flesh shall I see God. | 我必在肉体之外得见神 |
[2:31:30] | “Whom I shall see for myself and mine eyes shall behold… | 我自己要见祂,亲眼要见祂 |
[2:31:35] | “…and not another. | 并不像外人 |
[2:31:39] | “We brought nothing into this world… | 因为我们没有带什么到世上来 |
[2:31:42] | “…and it is certain we can carry nothing out. | 也不能带什么去 |
[2:31:46] | “The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away. | 赏赐的是上帝,收取的也是上帝 |
[2:31:53] | “Blessed is the name of the Lord.” | 上帝的名是应当称颂的” |
[2:32:40] | Barry’s grief was inconsolable. | 巴里的悲伤无可言喻 |
[2:32:44] | Such solace as he could find, came only from drink. | 他只能靠酒精麻痹自己 |
[2:32:50] | His mother was the only person who would remain faithful to him in his misfortune. | 面对这样的不幸 只有他母亲仍然忠诚的看护他 |
[2:32:57] | And many a night, when he was unconscious of her attention… | 许多夜晚 他不知道是她在照顾他 |
[2:33:01] | …saw him carried off to bed. | 确定要人扶他上床 |
[2:33:08] | “O blessed Lord… | “愿颂赞归与我们的主 |
[2:33:10] | “…the Father of mercies and God of all comforts. | 就是发慈悲的父、赐各样安慰的神 |
[2:33:14] | “We beseech Thee, look down in pity and compassion upon this… | 我们请求祢的垂怜跟同情 |
[2:33:17] | “…Thy afflicted servant. | 赐福给祢的仆人 |
[2:33:20] | “Thou writest bitter things against her… | 祢按罪状刑罚她… |
[2:33:23] | “…and makest her to possess her former iniquities.” | 又使她担当从前的罪孽” |
[2:33:25] | Her Ladyship, always vaporish and nervous… | 总是那么敏感紧张的夫人 |
[2:33:29] | …plunged into devotion… | 躲进宗教里 |
[2:33:31] | …with so much fervor that you would have imagined her distracted at times. | 狂热到可以想像 有时她根本是失去理智 |
[2:34:01] | In the doleful conditions which now prevailed at Castle Hackton… | 哈克顿堡笼罩在一片愁云惨雾中 |
[2:34:06] | …management of the household, and of the Lyndon estate… | 家务跟林登家产业的管理工作 |
[2:34:10] | …fell to Mrs. Barry, whose spirit of order… | 落在巴里太太的肩上 她有条不紊的… |
[2:34:13] | …attended to all the details of a great establishment. | 仔细关注庞大产业所有的细节 |
[2:34:22] | Come in. | 请进 |
[2:34:28] | You wish to see me, madam? | 你找我吗,老夫人? |
[2:34:30] | Yes, Reverend. Please sit down. | 是的,牧师,请坐 |
[2:34:37] | I have some matters I would like to discuss later, Graham… | 待会儿我有些事 要跟你讨论,葛瑞恩 |
[2:34:40] | …but just now would you go to Her Ladyship… | 不过先去找夫人 |
[2:34:43] | …and have her sign these papers. | 请她签一下这些文件 |
[2:34:45] | Yes, madam. | 是的,老夫人 |
[2:34:59] | Reverend Runt… | 兰特牧师 |
[2:35:02] | …I need not tell you that the recent tragedy to this family… | 我不需要告诉你 这个家最近遭逢巨变 |
[2:35:05] | …has made the services of a tutor no longer required here. | 这里不再需要家教服务 |
[2:35:11] | And as we are in considerable difficulty about money… | 我们的财务出现困难 |
[2:35:15] | …I’m afraid I must ask you, with the greatest reluctance… | 虽然很不愿意,恐怕我得请你 |
[2:35:20] | …to resign your post. | 辞去你的职务 |
[2:35:27] | Madam, I’m sensible of your predicament… | 老夫人,我了解你的苦衷 |
[2:35:32] | …and you need have no concern about my wages, I can willingly forego them… | 你不需要担心我的薪资 我愿意不支薪 |
[2:35:37] | …but it is out of the question for me to leave Her Ladyship in her present state. | 但现在这个状况 我是不会离开夫人的 |
[2:35:45] | I’m sorry to say this to you… | 我很遗憾必须这么跟你说 |
[2:35:48] | …but I believe you are largely responsible for her present state of mind. | 我相信她会变成这样都是你的错 |
[2:35:55] | The sooner you leave, the better she will be. | 你越早离开,对她来说越好 |
[2:36:03] | Madam, with the greatest respect… | 老夫人,我无意不敬 |
[2:36:06] | …I take my instructions only from Her Ladyship. | 但我只听夫人的命令 |
[2:36:11] | Reverend Runt… | 兰特牧师 |
[2:36:14] | …Her Ladyship is in no fit mind to give instructions to anyone. | 夫人无法给任何人命令 |
[2:36:19] | My son has charged me with managing the affairs at Castle Hackton… | 我儿子授权予我 处理哈克顿堡的事务 |
[2:36:23] | …until he recovers from his grief and resumes his interest in worldly matters. | 直到他从悲伤中恢复过来 能再度处理堡内事务为止 |
[2:36:28] | And while I’m in charge… | 现在由我掌权 |
[2:36:30] | …you’ll take your instructions from me. | 你得听命于我 |
[2:36:34] | My only concern is for Lady Lyndon. | 我只是为了林登夫人好 |
[2:36:39] | Madam… | 老夫人 |
[2:36:42] | …your only concern is for Her Ladyship’s signature. | 你只是要夫人的签名 |
[2:36:46] | You and your son have almost succeeded in destroying a fine family fortune. | 你跟你儿子成功地花光了这个家的钱 |
[2:36:52] | And what little remains for you… | 你们唯一的生机 |
[2:36:54] | …depends on keeping Her Ladyship prisoner in her own home. | 就是把夫人关在自己家里 |
[2:36:57] | Reverend Runt… | 兰特牧师 |
[2:37:00] | …this matter bears no further discussion. | 这件事没得商量 |
[2:37:03] | You will pack your bags and leave by tomorrow. | 你得打包行李,明天就滚蛋 |
[2:37:26] | God, help. Help! | 上帝,救救我! |
[2:37:32] | In the midst of these great perplexities… | 在极度悲伤中… |
[2:37:35] | …Her Ladyship made an attempt to kill herself by taking poison. | 夫人企图服毒自杀 |
[2:37:40] | Though she only made herself dangerously ill… | 她只是让自己病得更重 |
[2:37:43] | …due to the very small amount which she swallowed… | 因为她服用的毒药剂量太少 |
[2:37:46] | …this, nevertheless, caused an intervention from a certain quarter… | 但这也让某人终于出手干预了 |
[2:37:51] | …which was long overdue. | 虽然可说是为时已晚 |
[2:37:53] | Oh, my God! | 天啊 |
[2:38:26] | If my mother had died… | 如果我妈死了 |
[2:38:29] | …it would’ve been as much my responsibility… | 感觉我也有责任 |
[2:38:31] | …as if I had poured the strychnine for her myself. | 就像是我亲手喂她吃毒药一样 |
[2:38:36] | For to the everlasting disgrace of my family name… | 这有损我家族的名誉 |
[2:38:40] | …I have, by my cowardice and my weakness… | 只因为我的懦弱跟不成材 |
[2:38:44] | …allowed the Barrys to establish a brutal… | 让巴里家族为所欲为 |
[2:38:47] | …and ignorant tyranny over our lives… | 无知冷酷地毁了我们的人生 |
[2:38:50] | …which has left my mother a broken woman… | 让我妈变成一个病人 |
[2:38:54] | …and to squander and ruin a fine family fortune. | 让他们态意掠夺我们家的财产 |
[2:39:02] | My friends profess sympathy, but behind my back… | 我的朋友表示同情,但是背着我 |
[2:39:07] | …I know I am despised. | 我知道他们看不起我 |
[2:39:10] | And quite justifiably so. | 那也是合理的 |
[2:39:20] | However… | 但是… |
[2:39:25] | …I know now what I must do. | 现在我知道我该怎么办 |
[2:39:29] | And what I shall do. | 我该做什么 |
[2:39:33] | Whatever be the cost. | 不计代价 |
[2:39:49] | Good morning, My Lord. | 早安,爵爷 |
[2:39:51] | Good morning. | 早安 |
[2:39:53] | Is Mr. Barry Lyndon here? | 巴里林登先生在这里吗? |
[2:39:55] | Yes, My Lord, he’s inside. | 是的,爵爷,他在里面 |
[2:39:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:41:36] | Mr. Redmond Barry. | 瑞德蒙巴里先生 |
[2:41:41] | The last occasion on which we met… | 上次我们见面 |
[2:41:44] | …you wantonly caused me injury and dishonor. | 你蓄意伤害我,剥夺我的尊严 |
[2:41:48] | In such a manner, and to such an extent no gentleman can willingly suffer… | 如此的恶行 以及卑劣的程度 |
[2:41:55] | …without demanding satisfaction… | 不论过了多久 |
[2:41:58] | …however much time intervenes. | 我都无法原谅你 |
[2:42:05] | I have now come to claim that satisfaction. | 现在我要跟你决斗 |
[2:42:53] | Mr. Lyndon… | 林登先生 |
[2:42:55] | …these are a matched pair of pistols, and as you have seen… | 这两把枪一模一样,你应该看到了 |
[2:42:58] | …your second has loaded one, and I have loaded the other. | 你的手下帮一把枪上了膛 另一把枪由我上膛 |
[2:43:01] | As they belong to Lord Bullingdon, you may have whichever one you wish. | 这都是布林顿子爵的枪 你可以选择要用哪一把枪 |
[2:43:14] | Lord Bullingdon. | 布林顿子爵 |
[2:43:23] | Now, gentlemen, to determine who will have first fire… | 两位男士,为了决定谁先开枪 |
[2:43:27] | …I will toss a coin in the air. | 我会掷铜板 |
[2:43:30] | As the offended party, it is Lord Bullingdon’s choice to call the toss. | 身为受辱的一方,布林顿子爵 有权猜铜板落在哪一面 |
[2:43:35] | Is that agreeable to both of you? | 两位都同意吗? |
[2:43:39] | Yes. | 同意 |
[2:43:43] | If Lord Bullingdon calls correctly he will have the first fire. | 如果布林顿子爵猜对了 由他先开枪 |
[2:43:48] | If incorrectly, Mr. Lyndon will have the first fire. | 如果他猜错了 由林登先生先开枪 |
[2:43:54] | Is that clearly understood? | 两位都明白了吗? |
[2:44:03] | What is your call, Lord Bullingdon? | 您猜哪一面,布林顿子爵? |
[2:44:07] | Heads. | 正面 |
[2:44:17] | It is heads. | 是正面 |
[2:44:20] | Lord Bullingdon will have the first fire. | 布林顿子爵先开枪 |
[2:44:27] | Lord Bullingdon… | 布林顿子爵 |
[2:44:29] | …will you take your ground? | 您可以就位了 |
[2:44:45] | One…two…three… | 一,二,三 |
[2:44:47] | …four…five…six… | 四,五,六 |
[2:44:49] | …seven…eight…nine…ten. | 七,八,九,十 |
[2:44:59] | Mr. Lyndon, will you take your ground? | 林登先生,请就位 |
[2:45:23] | Mr. Lyndon, are you ready to receive Lord Bullingdon’s fire? | 林登先生,你准备好面对 布林顿子爵的攻击了吗? |
[2:45:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:45:43] | Lord Bullingdon… | 布林顿子爵… |
[2:45:46] | …cock your pistol… | 请举枪 |
[2:45:48] | …and prepare to fire. | 准备射击 |
[2:46:05] | Sir Richard, this pistol must be faulty. | 理查爵爷,这把枪有问题 |
[2:46:09] | I must have another one. | 我要换另一把枪 |
[2:46:11] | I’m sorry, Lord Bullingdon, but you must first stand your ground… | 对不起,布林顿子爵,您得站好 |
[2:46:15] | …and allow Mr. Lyndon his turn to fire. | 让林登先生可以还击 |
[2:46:21] | That is correct, Lord Bullingdon. | 没错,布林顿子爵 |
[2:46:24] | Your pistol has fired, and that counts as your shot. | 您已经开过枪,那样就算数了 |
[2:46:42] | Mr. Lyndon, are the rules of firing clear to you? | 林登先生,您清楚开枪的规定吗? |
[2:46:48] | Yes. | 清楚 |
[2:46:53] | Lord Bullingdon… | 布林顿子爵 |
[2:46:56] | …are you ready to receive Mr. Lyndon’s fire? | 您准备好面对 林登先生的攻击了吗? |
[2:47:05] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:47:10] | Very well, then. | 好吧 |
[2:47:14] | Mr. Lyndon… | 林登先生 |
[2:47:17] | …cock your pistol… | 请举枪 |
[2:47:20] | …and prepare to fire. | 准备射击 |
[2:48:18] | Are you ready, Lord Bullingdon? | 您没事吧,布林顿子爵? |
[2:48:31] | Is your pistol cocked, Mr. Lyndon? | 你的枪好了吗,林登先生? |
[2:48:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:48:42] | Then prepare to fire. | 准备射击 |
[2:48:51] | One… | 一 |
[2:48:53] | …two…. | 二 |
[2:49:07] | Lord Bullingdon, in view of Mr. Lyndon having fired into the ground… | 布林顿子爵,林登先生朝地面开枪 |
[2:49:12] | …do you now consider that you have received satisfaction? | 您认为决斗结束了吗? |
[2:49:29] | I have not received satisfaction. | 我不认为决斗结束了 |
[2:50:04] | Mr. Lyndon, are you ready? | 林登先生,你准备好了吗? |
[2:50:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[2:50:21] | Lord Bullingdon… | 布林顿子爵 |
[2:50:23] | …cock your pistol and get ready to fire. | 请举枪,准备射击 |
[2:50:44] | One… | 一 |
[2:50:48] | …two…. | 二 |
[2:51:10] | Barry was carried to an inn nearby and a surgeon was called. | 巴里被送到附近的旅店 他们找来了医生 |
[2:51:28] | I’m nearly finished. | 快好了 |
[2:51:52] | I’m sorry to have to tell you this, Mr. Lyndon. | 我很遗憾必须告诉你,林登先生 |
[2:51:56] | I’m afraid you’ll have to lose the leg… | 我恐怕你会失去这条腿 |
[2:51:59] | …most likely below the knee. | 从膝盖以下截肢 |
[2:52:10] | Lose the leg? | 失去这条腿? |
[2:52:13] | What for? | 为什么? |
[2:52:16] | The simple answer is to save your life. | 简单的说,为了救你一命 |
[2:52:20] | The ball has shattered the bone below the knee and severed the artery. | 子弹打中膝盖以下的骨头 重创动脉 |
[2:52:25] | Unless I amputate, there’s no way that I can repair the artery… | 不截肢的话,我无法修补动脉 |
[2:52:29] | …and stop the hemorrhage. | 帮你止血 |
[2:53:02] | Graham. | 葛瑞恩 |
[2:53:03] | Yes, My Lord? | 什么事,爵爷? |
[2:53:05] | When we arrive at Castle Hackton, inform Mrs. Barry of what has happened. | 回哈克顿堡后 告诉巴里太太发生了什么事 |
[2:53:11] | Don’t go into any unnecessary detail. | 不必要的细节就别说了 |
[2:53:13] | Just tell her where he is and that he has been wounded in the leg. | 跟她说他在哪里,他的腿受伤了 |
[2:53:18] | She will want to go to him. | 她自然会去看他 |
[2:53:20] | See that she is out of the house and on her way to London as soon as possible. | 要她尽快动身前往伦敦 |
[2:53:25] | And in no event… | 不论发生什么事 |
[2:53:26] | …is she to be allowed to see my mother… | 别让她见到我的母亲 |
[2:53:29] | …or create any disturbance at the house before she leaves. | 在她离开前,不准她在屋里闹事 |
[2:53:33] | Yes, My Lord. | 是的,爵爷 |
[2:54:47] | Ah, Mrs. Barry, how do you do? | 巴里太太,你好吗? |
[2:54:50] | How nice to see you, Graham. Come in. | 真高兴能见到你,葛瑞恩,请进 |
[2:54:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[2:54:55] | You, uh…You received my note? | 你收到我的通知了吗? |
[2:54:58] | Yes, we were expecting you. | 收到了,我们都在等你 |
[2:54:59] | Oh, good, I didn’t want to call unannounced. | 太好了,我不想不请自来 |
[2:55:03] | Mr. Lyndon, how are you feeling? | 林登先生,你还好吧? |
[2:55:07] | I’m feeling much better, thank you, Graham. | 我好多了,谢谢你,葛瑞恩 |
[2:55:11] | Won’t you sit down? | 请坐 |
[2:55:13] | Thank you, Mrs. Barry. | 谢谢你,巴里太太 |
[2:55:23] | Would you like some tea? | 要喝杯茶吗? |
[2:55:25] | Oh, no! No, thank you, Mrs. Barry. Not just now. | 不用了,谢谢你,巴里太太 现在不用 |
[2:55:34] | How’s the world treating you, Graham? | 你还好吧,葛瑞恩? |
[2:55:36] | Oh, not too bad. | 还不错 |
[2:55:39] | And, uh…. | 呃 嗯… |
[2:55:41] | Are you comfortable here? | 你们还好吗? |
[2:55:43] | Most comfortable. | 再好不过了 |
[2:55:44] | Good, good! | 太好了 |
[2:55:49] | Um…. | 嗯… |
[2:55:54] | Well, uh… | 好吧… |
[2:55:56] | …shall, uh, ahem…. | 那个… |
[2:56:00] | Shall we get down to the matter at hand? | 我们能谈正事了吗? |
[2:56:04] | By all means. | 当然可以 |
[2:56:06] | Yes. | 好 |
[2:56:09] | Well…. | 好吧 |
[2:56:12] | Mr. Lyndon… | 林登先生… |
[2:56:16] | …Lord Bullingdon has instructed me… | 布林顿子爵要我… |
[2:56:20] | …to offer you an annuity… | 提供你终生奉养年金 |
[2:56:24] | …of 500 guineas a year for life. | 一年五百基尼 |
[2:56:30] | Specifically on the condition of your… | 他的条件是… |
[2:56:35] | …leaving England… | 你得离开英格兰 |
[2:56:38] | …and to be stopped… | 并且保证… |
[2:56:41] | …the instant of your return. | 你不会回来 |
[2:56:47] | Lord Bullingdon has also asked me to point out to you… | 布林顿子爵还要我跟你说 |
[2:56:52] | …that should you decide to remain here… | 如果你决定留在这里 |
[2:56:56] | …your stay would infallibly plunge you… | 这个决定会害你… |
[2:57:01] | …into jail. | 去坐牢 |
[2:57:05] | As in view of the present circumstances there will soon be… | 考量到现在的状况… |
[2:57:10] | …innumerable writs taken out against you for… | 会有许多人对你提出控告 |
[2:57:14] | …debts long-outstanding… | 因为你一直无法清偿债务 |
[2:57:17] | …and your credit is so blown that… | 你的信用破产 |
[2:57:22] | …you could not hope… | 应该没办法 |
[2:57:24] | …to raise a shilling. | 再借到一毛钱 |
[2:57:56] | Utterly baffled and beaten… | 身败名裂之后… |
[2:58:00] | …what was the lonely and broken-hearted man to do? | 伤心寂寞的人能去哪里? |
[2:58:05] | He took the annuity and returned to Ireland with his mother… | 他接受年金提议 跟他母亲回到爱尔兰 |
[2:58:09] | …to complete his recovery. | 回家去养伤 |
[2:58:13] | Sometime later he traveled abroad. | 后来他到了国外 |
[2:58:17] | His life there, we have not the means of following accurately. | 我们无法密切追踪 他之后的生活 |
[2:58:22] | He appears to have resumed his former profession of a gambler… | 但是他似乎重操旧业当起赌徒 |
[2:58:26] | …without his former success. | 只是没有之前那么成功 |
[2:58:29] | He never saw Lady Lyndon again. | 他再也没见过林登夫人 |