英文名称:Becoming Jane
年代:2006
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:10] | “Boundaries of…” | “界线…” |
[01:16] | “Propriety…” | “礼节的界线” |
[01:22] | “Vigorously assaulted…” | “遭遇严峻挑战…” |
[01:34] | “propriety were…” | “界线遭遇…” |
[02:31] | “The boundaries of propriety | “礼节的界线 |
[02:34] | were vigorously assaulted. | 遭遇严峻挑战” |
[02:37] | “The boundaries of propriety | “礼节的界线 |
[02:38] | were vigorously assaulted, as was only right, | 遭遇严峻挑战 似乎唯此才是正确的 |
[02:40] | but not quite breached, as was also right.” | 但又未被真正打破 似乎也没有什么问题” |
[02:43] | “Nevertheless, | “然而 |
[02:47] | she was not pleased.” | 她并不觉得满意” |
[03:10] | – What is it? – Jane. | -怎么了 -是简 |
[03:26] | Jane! | 简 |
[03:33] | Oh, dear me. | 老天呐 |
[03:35] | That girl needs a husband. | 那丫头需要一位丈夫 |
[03:39] | And who’s good enough? Nobody. | 有谁优秀到能配得上她呢 没有人 |
[03:43] | I blame you for that. | 这点我要怪你 |
[03:46] | Being too much the model of perfection. | 谁叫我是个完美典范呢 |
[03:51] | I’ve shared your bed for 32 years | 我和你同床共枕32年 |
[03:53] | and perfection is something I have not encountered. | 从来没在你身上经历过什么完美 |
[03:57] | Yet. | 目前没有而已 |
[04:02] | No. Stop it. Mr.Austen, it’s Sunday! | 不 别这样 奥斯汀先生 今天是礼拜日 |
[04:05] | Stop, no, it’s… | 停下 不要 今天是… |
[04:11] | The utmost of a woman’s character is expressed | 女子品质的最高境界是通过 |
[04:15] | in the duties of daughter, sister | 履行身为女儿 姐妹 |
[04:19] | and, eventually, wife and mother. | 最终成为妻子和母亲的职责来实现的 |
[04:23] | It is secured by soft attraction, | 为达到这一境界 需要温柔的魅力 |
[04:26] | virtuous love and quiet in the early morning. | 德行端庄的爱意 以及清晨时分保持宁静 |
[04:32] | If a woman happens to have a particular superiority, | 如果一位女子恰好拥有特别的才能 |
[04:36] | for example, a profound mind, | 例如深刻的智慧 |
[04:38] | it is best kept a profound secret. | 那它最好被深深地隐藏 |
[04:41] | Humour is liked more, but wit? No. | 幽默更加讨喜 但才智呢 并不会 |
[04:46] | It is the most treacherous talent of them all. | 它是所有才能之中最为危险的 |
[04:49] | Now, George, old fellow, you know you have to stay. | 乔治 老伙计 你知道你得留下 |
[04:53] | – Jenny! – George, George. | -珍妮 -乔治 乔治 |
[05:02] | Hurry along, Jane! We’ll be late! | 快跟上 简 我们要迟到了 |
[05:06] | When Her Ladyship calls, we must obey. | 当夫人召唤时 我们必须遵从 |
[05:40] | Come along, Jane. | 快跟上 简 |
[05:53] | Lady Gresham, may I introduce my niece | 格雷夏姆夫人 请允许我介绍我的外甥女 |
[05:55] | Comtesse De Feuillide | 费利德伯爵夫人 |
[05:59] | and Mr Fowle, Cassandra’s fiancé. | 以及卡珊德拉的未婚夫福沃先生 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1383个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:304个,六级词汇:169个,GRE词汇:198个,托福词汇:246个,考研词汇:327个,专四词汇:296个,专八词汇:59个, 所有生词标注共:576个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[06:02] | Comtesse? | 伯爵夫人 |
[06:04] | – Then you presume to be French? – By marriage. | -那想必你是法国人 -我丈夫是法国人 |
[06:08] | Monsieur le Comte is not here to pay his respects? | 伯爵先生没来致以问候吗 |
[06:10] | A prior engagement, ma’am, | 他因故无法前来 夫人 |
[06:13] | Monsieur Ie Comte was obliged | 伯爵先生此前 |
[06:14] | to pay his respects to Madame le Guillotine. | 被送上了断头台 已经亡故了 |
[06:21] | I see your nephew is with us again. | 我看到您的外甥这次也在啊 |
[06:24] | Mr Wisley. | 韦斯利先生 |
[06:27] | Wisley is indispensable to my happiness. | 只有韦斯利在我身边 我才会快乐 |
[06:34] | Well, do sit down. | 请坐吧 |
[06:43] | Mr Fowle and Cassandra are only recently engaged. | 福沃先生和卡珊德拉最近刚订婚 |
[06:48] | When shall you marry? | 你们什么时候成婚呢 |
[06:50] | – Not for some time, Your Ladyship. – Why not? | -暂时不会 夫人 -为什么不呢 |
[06:52] | I’m also engaged | 我也有事在身 |
[06:53] | to go to the West Indies with Lord Craven’s | 要以牧师身份追随克雷文大人 |
[06:55] | expedition against the French, as chaplain. | 前往西印度群岛 对抗法国的远征队 |
[06:58] | What has Craven offered you? | 克雷文许诺你什么好处了 |
[07:00] | I’ve hopes of a parish on my return. | 我在归来后有望能有一片教区 |
[07:03] | How much is it worth? | 那值多少钱 |
[07:07] | Enough to marry on, in a modest way. | 足够办一场婚礼 朴素的婚礼 |
[07:15] | Mr Wisley, did you know the Basingstoke assemblies resume? | 韦斯利先生 你知道贝辛斯托克集会恢复了吗 |
[07:20] | Very soon, I believe. | 我相信很快了 |
[07:23] | Jane does enjoy a ball. | 简很喜欢舞会 |
[07:25] | Wisley can’t abide them. | 韦斯利受不了舞会 |
[07:33] | But, sir, | 但是 先生 |
[07:35] | a ball is an indispensable blessing | 舞会对本地的年轻人来说 |
[07:37] | to the juvenile part of the neighbourhood. | 可是一项不可或缺的恩赐 |
[07:39] | Everything agreeable in the way of talking and sitting down together | 坐在一起聊天 一切都非常宜人 |
[07:43] | all managed with the utmost decorum. | 一切都遵循最高的礼仪 |
[07:46] | An amiable man could not object. | 友好亲切的男士是无法拒绝的 |
[07:54] | Then I find I’m converted. | 那我改变想法了 |
[07:58] | Displayed like a brood mare. | 我就像一匹繁殖用的母马被展示 |
[08:00] | Mr Wisley | 韦斯利先生 |
[08:02] | – is a highly eligible young gentleman. – Oh, Mother! | -是一位非常适合结婚的年轻绅士 -母亲 |
[08:05] | You know our situation, Jane. | 你知道我们的处境 简 |
[08:08] | And he is Lady Gresham’s favourite nephew and heir. | 他还是格雷夏姆夫人最宠爱的外甥和继承人 |
[08:12] | One day, he shall inherit this. | 终有一天 他会继承这个庄园 |
[08:16] | Excellent prospects! | 风景无限好 |
[08:25] | His small fortune will not buy me. | 他的小小财富可收买不了我 |
[08:27] | What will buy you, cousin? | 什么能俘获你呢 表妹 |
[08:37] | More wary in the world, Mr Lefroy. | 要更小心些才行啊 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[08:47] | You can pay me for that later. | 你可以晚点再给我钱 |
[08:48] | Huzzah! Huzzah! | 好啊 好啊 |
[08:52] | Come on, Mr Lefroy. | 加油 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[08:59] | Come on, man, hit him! | 快啊 快打他 |
[09:02] | Lefroy! | 勒弗罗伊 |
[09:16] | – Glass of wine with you, sir? – Madam. | -能和您喝杯酒吗 先生 -夫人 |
[09:27] | Displaying to advantage, I see, Lefroy. | 将自我展现到极致啊 勒弗罗伊 |
[09:30] | Like the sword, Austen. | 就像剑一样 奥斯汀 |
[09:33] | How long before you have to get back to the sticks? | 你还有多久就要回乡下去 |
[09:35] | A day. | 一天后 |
[09:37] | So soon? | 这么快 |
[09:38] | Doghouse, debts, | 遭人嫌恶 身背债务 |
[09:39] | but one must cut some sort of a figure even in the militia. | 但就算在民兵队里 也要保持形象 |
[09:42] | Especially when condemned to a parsonage, my friend. | 尤其是很惨地出身于牧师家庭时 我的朋友 |
[09:45] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[09:46] | Still, who is this sour-faced little virgin? | 不过 这位苦着脸的小处男是谁 |
[09:51] | Your pardon, ma’am. | 不好意思 夫人 |
[09:55] | Mr Tom Lefroy, | 汤姆·勒弗罗伊先生 |
[09:57] | may I present Mr John Warren? | 请允许我介绍约翰·沃伦先生 |
[09:59] | Joining me in Hampshire, | 他将和我一起去汉普郡 |
[10:00] | my father is preparing us both for holy orders. | 我父亲安排我们都从事神职 |
[10:04] | I understand you’ve visited Hampshire, Mr Lefroy. | 我知道你造访过汉普郡 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[10:07] | Last year. | 去年的事 |
[10:10] | Long visit, was it? | 当时待了很久吗 |
[10:11] | Very long, Mr Warren. Almost three hours. | 非常久 沃伦先生 差不多有三小时呢 |
[10:13] | Mr.Austen, you’re devilishly handsome. A kiss, a kiss. | 奥斯汀先生 你太英俊了 吻一下 吻一下 |
[10:20] | So, Tom, where should we go? Vauxhall Gardens? | 汤姆 我们应该去哪呢 沃克斯豪尔花园 |
[10:22] | Been there. | 去过了 |
[10:24] | Lefroy, there’s a Tahitian Love Fest on at White’s. | 勒弗罗伊 在怀特俱乐部有一个大溪求爱盛会 |
[10:27] | Seen it. | 见识过了 |
[10:28] | – Crockford’s? – Crockford’s? Done that. | -康乐福俱乐部呢 -康乐福俱乐部 玩过了 |
[10:30] | Or did it do me? | 或者说是我被玩了 |
[10:32] | Wh-wh-what is a Tahitian Love Fest? | 大溪地求爱盛会是什么 |
[10:46] | Warren! | 沃伦 |
[11:00] | I humbly beg your pardon, sir. | 我诚惶诚恐请求您的原谅 先生 |
[11:03] | Theft of one pig is a crime, heinous to be sure, | 偷窃一头猪绝对是非常恶劣的罪行 |
[11:08] | but two pigs… | 但偷窃两头猪 |
[11:11] | Two pigs is a violent assault | 偷窃两头猪是对私人财产 |
[11:14] | on the very sanctity of private property itself. | 神圣不可侵犯的严重践踏 |
[11:21] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[11:23] | You and your kind | 你和你的同类 |
[11:26] | are a canker on the body social. | 是全社会的祸患 |
[11:31] | And cankers are cut out. | 祸患要被清除 |
[11:35] | Transportation for life. | 终生流放 |
[11:38] | Next. | 下一个 |
[11:39] | Why are you here in London, sir? | 你为什么来伦敦 先生 |
[11:42] | To learn the law. | 为了学习法律 |
[11:43] | Which has no other end but what? | 这条路只能通向什么终点 |
[11:46] | The preservation of the rights of property. | 维护财产权利 |
[11:48] | – Against? – The mob. | -免遭什么的侵害呢 -暴民 |
[11:51] | Therefore, order is kept… | 因此 秩序将得到维持 |
[11:55] | because we have… | 因为我们拥有… |
[11:56] | – A standing army? – Good manners, sir. | -一支常备军 -是良好的礼节 先生 |
[12:00] | And prudence. Do you know that word? | 以及审慎 你知道这个词吗 |
[12:01] | – Prudence? – Yes. | -审慎 -我知道 |
[12:05] | Consider myself. | 想想我自己 |
[12:07] | I was born rich, certainly, | 当然 我出身富贵 |
[12:09] | but I remain rich by virtue of exceptional conduct. | 但我凭借杰出的品行守住了富贵 |
[12:13] | I have shown restraint. | 我表现出了克制 |
[12:18] | Your mother, my sister, | 你母亲 我的妹妹 |
[12:19] | became poor because she did not… | 成了穷人 是因为她没有… |
[12:21] | She married my father because she loved him. | 她嫁给我父亲是因为她爱他 |
[12:22] | Yes, and that’s why you have so many brothers and sisters | 是的 因此你才有这么多兄弟姐妹 |
[12:25] | back there in… | 远在… |
[12:26] | Limerick. | 利默里克 |
[12:32] | If you hope, | 如果你希望的话 |
[12:33] | I say hope… | 我说的是”希望”… |
[12:35] | If you aspire to inherit my property, | 如果你渴望继承我的财产 |
[12:41] | you must prove yourself more worthy. | 你必须证明自己更有价值 |
[12:44] | But what do we find? We find dissipation | 但我们看到的是什么呢 是肆意放荡 |
[12:48] | wild enough to glut the imaginings of a Hottentot braggadocio. | 不知节制到能满足霍屯督吹牛大王的想象 |
[12:53] | Wild companions, gambling, | 交了一帮放纵的朋友 赌博 |
[12:57] | running around St James’s | 在圣詹姆斯教堂区四处游荡 |
[12:58] | like a neck-or-nothing young blood of the fancy. | 就像不顾一切的贵族青年 |
[13:02] | – What kind of lawyer will that make? – Typical. | -这样能成什么律师 -典型的那种 |
[13:12] | Humour? | 幽默是吗 |
[13:15] | Well, you’re going to need that | 你将会需要这种幽默 |
[13:18] | because I’m teaching you a lesson. | 因为我要给你一个教训 |
[13:23] | I’m sending you to stay with your other relations, the Lefroys. | 我要送你去你父亲那边的亲戚勒弗罗伊家生活 |
[13:30] | Uncle, they live in the country. | 舅舅 他们住在乡下 |
[13:33] | Deep in the country. | 穷乡僻壤 |
[13:54] | Jane? | 简 |
[13:56] | Can you? | 你能帮下我吗 |
[14:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:03] | I think you two quite the prettiest sisters in England. | 我觉得你们是英格兰最漂亮的姐妹 |
[14:09] | Mr Fowle will be enchanted. | 福沃先生会为你着魔的 |
[14:12] | San Domingo is half a world away. | 圣多明各远在万里之外 |
[14:16] | He’ll forget me. | 他会忘了我的 |
[14:18] | Impossible. | 不可能 |
[14:20] | Look at the memory you’re giving him tonight. | 看看你今晚要给他留下的美好回忆 |
[14:23] | Cassie. | 卡珊 |
[14:25] | His heart will stop at the very sight of you | 他每看你一眼 都会激动到心跳停止 |
[14:27] | or he doesn’t deserve to live. | 否则他就不配活着 |
[14:30] | And, yes, I’m aware of the contradiction embodied in that sentence. | 是的 我意识到了这句话里包含的矛盾之处 |
[14:36] | Is it? | 是吗 |
[14:41] | Jane! | 简 |
[14:43] | Henry! | 亨利 |
[14:48] | You look wonderful. | 你看起来棒极了 |
[14:50] | Well, hello, John. It’s very good to see you. | 你好 约翰 很高兴见到你 |
[14:52] | Nice to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[14:54] | Oh, John! | 约翰 |
[14:57] | George! | 乔治 |
[15:00] | Leave your brother alone. | 别烦你兄弟了 |
[15:06] | Jane! Jane? Have you heard? | 简 简 你听说了吗 |
[15:09] | My father’s nephew is staying with us. | 我父亲的侄子要来和我们家生活 |
[15:11] | From London. | 他从伦敦来 |
[15:12] | – He is a… – A brilliant young lawyer. | -他是一位… -杰出的年轻律师 |
[15:14] | – Lucy, please. – With a reputation. | -露西 别这样 -拥有名望 |
[15:16] | For lateness? | 迟到的名望吗 |
[15:19] | Hat off, George. Hat off, Father’s ready. | 脱帽 乔治 脱帽 父亲要开始了 |
[15:25] | – Thank you, John. – Please. | -谢谢 约翰 -请坐 |
[15:26] | The family is always moving in great ways and small. | 一个家族总是迈着大小不一的步伐前进 |
[15:30] | Firstly, the small. | 首先说说小步伐 |
[15:32] | Henry is back from Oxford with his degree. | 亨利带着学位从牛津回来了 |
[15:36] | – Thank goodness. – Well done. | -谢天谢地 -好样的 |
[15:38] | And our friend John, my new student. | 还有我们的朋友约翰 我的新学徒 |
[15:41] | Then the great. | 然后说说大步伐 |
[15:42] | Cassandra, who is forsaking us | 卡珊德拉将要抛下我们 |
[15:44] | for her brother Edward and his family at the coast | 去海岸追随她哥哥爱德华和他的家人 |
[15:48] | whilst Robert voyages to the West Indies | 与此同时罗伯特将远行至西印度群岛 |
[15:50] | with Lord Craven’s expedition. | 追随克雷文大人的远征队 |
[15:52] | And then, together, they can embark | 然后 他们可以携手踏上 |
[15:54] | on that most great and most serious journey of life. | 人生中最伟大和最庄重的旅程 |
[15:59] | Miss Austen, I understand | 奥斯汀小姐 我得知 |
[16:01] | you will be favouring us with a reading? | 你会赏脸为我们朗读一段文章 |
[16:03] | – Do, Jane. – Do. | -来吧 简 -来吧 |
[16:05] | – Oh, please, Miss Jane. – Oh, yes. Jane. | -拜托了 简小姐 -来吧 简 |
[16:06] | Do. Please, Jane. | 拜托来一段吧 简 |
[16:16] | “Advice from a young lady | “来自一位年轻小姐 |
[16:18] | on the engagement of her beloved sister Cassandra” | 对她挚爱的姐姐卡珊德拉订婚的建议” |
[16:22] | “To a Fowle.” | “对象是福沃” |
[16:29] | “His addresses were offered in a manner violent enough | “他求爱的方式太过激情暴力 |
[16:31] | to be flattering. | 谄媚又让人欢喜 |
[16:33] | The boundaries of propriety | 礼节的界线 |
[16:35] | were vigorously assaulted, as was only right, | 遭遇严峻挑战 似乎唯此才是正确的 |
[16:38] | But not quite breached, as was also right. | 但又未被真正打破 似乎也没有什么问题 |
[16:41] | Nevertheless, she was…” | 然而 她…” |
[16:53] | And may I introduce | 请允许我介绍 |
[16:55] | my young nephew Mr Thomas Lefroy? | 我年轻的侄子 汤玛斯·勒弗罗伊先生 |
[17:01] | And he’s more than welcome. | 非常欢迎他 |
[17:03] | Join us, sir, join us. | 加入我们 先生 加入我们 |
[17:06] | Green velvet coat. Vastly fashionable. | 绿色天鹅绒外套 无比时髦 |
[17:12] | You’ll find this vastly amusing. | 你会发现这个无比好笑 |
[17:18] | “His addresses were… | “他的求爱方式… |
[17:23] | “The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, | 礼节的界线遭遇严峻挑战 |
[17:26] | “as was only right, | 似乎唯此才是正确的 |
[17:28] | but not quite breached, as was also right. | 却又未完全地突破 似乎也没有什么问题 |
[17:31] | “Nevertheless, she was not pleased. | 然而 她并不觉得满意 |
[17:33] | “Her taste was refined, her sentiments noble, | 她拥有高雅的品味 高尚的情感 |
[17:36] | her person lovely, her figure elegant.” | 可爱的个性 和翩翩的体态” |
[17:41] | Good God, there’s writing on both sides of those pages. | 老天啊 正反面全都写满了 |
[17:44] | – Shh. – Damn it, man. | -安静 -可恶 |
[17:48] | “‘It was only yesterday | “就在昨天 |
[17:49] | I repelled Lord Graham and his six million, | 我拒绝了格兰姆大人和他的六百万 |
[17:51] | “‘which would have lasted me almost a twelve month, | 这笔钱够我花一年了 |
[17:54] | “‘with economies…’ | 毕竟现在的经济…” |
[18:00] | “A treasure greater than all the jewels in India, | “比印度所有的宝石更加珍贵的 |
[18:04] | an adoring heart.”‘ | 是一颗令人敬慕的心” |
[18:05] | God! | 老天啊 |
[18:06] | “‘And pray, madam, what am I to expect in return?’ | “那么女士 我该期望获得怎样的回报呢” |
[18:10] | “‘Expect? | “期望 |
[18:11] | Well, you may expect to have me pleased from time to time.”‘ | 你需要偶尔来讨我的欢心” |
[18:13] | Is this who I am? | 我是这样的吗 |
[18:16] | “And a sweet, gentle, pleading, innocent, | “以及你那温柔甜蜜 纯真善良 |
[18:21] | “Delicate, sympathetic, loyal, | 细腻的 具有同情心的 忠贞的 |
[18:24] | untutored, adoring female heart.” | 纯朴的 令人敬慕的女人心” |
[18:33] | The end. | 结束了 |
[18:36] | – Bravo, Jane. – Well done, Jane. | -太棒了 简 -真不错 简 |
[18:41] | Bravo. | 太棒了 |
[18:43] | Well done. | 真不错 |
[18:50] | She speaks so well. | 她的谈吐真不错 |
[18:56] | Well, excessively charming, I thought. | 我觉得太迷人了 |
[19:00] | Well, accomplished enough, perhaps, | 是挺有才华 |
[19:02] | but a metropolitan mind may be | 不过见过世面后 |
[19:04] | less susceptible to extended, juvenile self-regard. | 就不会这么矫揉造作自我陶醉了 |
[19:11] | Well, thank you. We’re both very proud. | 谢谢你 我们都很骄傲 |
[19:29] | ♪In airy dreams♪ | ♪在轻快的梦中♪ |
[19:40] | ♪…absent love to see♪ | ♪看不到爱♪ |
[19:57] | ♪Dear you, oh, to think on thee♪ | ♪亲爱的 只要想到你 就让我欢喜♪ |
[20:42] | Careful there, old fellow. | 悠着点 小子 |
[20:45] | Fine piece, Mr Lefroy. | 枪很不错 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[20:49] | Handled a gun before, have you, Tom? | 汤姆 你以前玩过枪吧 |
[20:51] | Tom! | 汤姆 |
[20:54] | Jesus! | 老天啊 |
[21:03] | Tom. | 汤姆 |
[21:04] | Uncle? | 叔叔 |
[21:06] | Why not try a walk? | 出去转转吧 |
[21:09] | There’s some very fine country round about. Very fine. | 这附近的田园风光很不错 相当不错 |
[21:14] | A walk. | 去走走 |
[22:10] | Miss! | 小姐 |
[22:12] | Miss! Miss! | 小姐 小姐 |
[22:13] | Miss! Miss, I… | 小姐 小姐 我… |
[22:19] | Miss? | 小姐 |
[22:23] | Miss? | 小姐 |
[22:24] | Miss… | 小姐贵姓 |
[22:26] | Austen. | 我姓奥斯汀 |
[22:28] | Mr Lefroy. | 我是勒弗罗伊先生 |
[22:30] | Yes, I know, but I am alone. | 我知道 但我现在独自一人 |
[22:33] | – Except for me. – Exactly. | -除了有我在 -没错 |
[22:35] | Oh, come! | 等等 |
[22:37] | What rules of conduct apply in this rural situation? | 在这乡下还有什么举止规范的要求吗 |
[22:41] | We have been introduced, have we not? | 我们经介绍已经认识过了不是吗 |
[22:45] | What value is there in an introduction | 你连我的名字都记不住 |
[22:47] | when you cannot even remember my name? | 那介绍还有意义吗 |
[22:50] | Indeed, can barely stay awake in my presence. | 是啊 有我在场时 很少有人能不睡着 |
[22:55] | Madam. | 女士 |
[22:56] | These scruples must seem very provincial | 你这种地位尊贵的绅士一定觉得 |
[22:57] | to a gentleman with such elevated airs, | 这种顾忌是乡野愚昧之风 |
[23:00] | but I do not devise these rules. | 但这些规矩不是我定的 |
[23:02] | I am merely obliged to obey them. | 我仅仅是被迫去遵守而已 |
[23:06] | I have been told there is much to see upon a walk | 有人告诉我说在这里散步可以欣赏到很多风景 |
[23:08] | but all I’ve detected so far | 但到目前为止我只看到了 |
[23:10] | is a general tendency to green above and brown below. | 上面的绿叶和下面的枯叶 |
[23:14] | Yes, well, others have detected more. It is celebrated. | 其他人看到了更多东西 这里很有名 |
[23:17] | There’s even a book about Selborne Wood. | 甚至还有本介绍塞尔伯恩森林的书呢 |
[23:22] | A novel, perhaps? | 是本小说吗 |
[23:27] | Novels? | 小说 |
[23:30] | Being poor, insipid things, read by mere women, | 出身贫寒 枯燥乏味 仅仅是女人的读物 |
[23:33] | even, God forbid, written by mere women? | 甚至是女人写的 |
[23:35] | I see, we’re talking of your reading. | 明白了 我们是在谈论你朗读的作品 |
[23:37] | As if the writing of women | 就好像女人的作品 |
[23:38] | did not display the greatest powers of mind, | 没有展现出思想最强大的力量 |
[23:41] | knowledge of human nature, | 人类的学识 |
[23:42] | the liveliest effusions of wit and humour | 智慧和幽默最为生动的流露 |
[23:44] | and the best-chosen language imaginable? | 和最精雕细琢的遣词造句 |
[23:47] | – Was I deficient in rapture? – In consciousness. | -我当时没有表现出欣赏吗 -实在看不出来 |
[23:51] | It was… | 那作品… |
[23:56] | It was accomplished. | 那作品 字字珠玉 |
[24:07] | It was ironic. | 那是在反讽 |
[24:13] | – And you’re sure I’ve not offended you? – Not at all. | -你确定我没有冒犯到你吗 -完全没有 |
[24:29] | My lords, ladies and gentlemen, | 各位老爷们 女士们先生们 |
[24:31] | the Grand Vizier’s Flight. | 《大维齐尔的飞翔》曲子开始了 |
[24:37] | – May I have the honour? – How kind, cousin. | -能赏个脸跟我跳支舞吗 -太客气了 表哥 |
[24:48] | – Miss Austen. – Mr Wisley. | -奥斯汀小姐 -韦斯利先生 |
[24:52] | May I have the pleasure of this next dance? | 下一曲能请你赏脸跟我一起跳吗 |
[25:01] | – Oh, no, we’re so late. – Take care. | -我们迟到太久了 -小心点 |
[25:04] | Oh, thank you, Tom. | 谢谢你 汤姆 |
[25:06] | – Hurry. – Lucy. | -快点 -露西 |
[25:33] | I am mortified. | 我很羞愧 |
[25:36] | I practised, but it won’t stick. | 我练过了 但就是学不会 |
[25:49] | What a lovely pair they make. | 他们是多么可爱的一对啊 |
[25:53] | Ah, Sister. | 妹妹 你来了 |
[25:55] | What do you make of Mr Lefroy? | 你觉得勒弗罗伊先生怎么样 |
[25:57] | We’re honoured by his presence. | 他能出席是我们的荣幸 |
[25:58] | You think? | 你这样认为吗 |
[25:59] | He does, with his preening, prancing, | 是的 瞧他打扮得如此精致 昂首阔步 |
[26:01] | Irish-cum-Bond-Street airs. | 带着爱尔兰和伦敦邦德街混合的浪荡作风 |
[26:03] | Jane. | 简 |
[26:03] | Well, I call it very high indeed, | 我认为他就是觉得自己高人一等 |
[26:05] | refusing to dance when there are so few gentleman. | 明明在场的男士那么少 他还拒绝跳舞 |
[26:07] | – Henry, are all your friends so disagreeable? – Jane. | -亨利 你的朋友们都这么令人讨厌吗 -简 |
[26:10] | Where exactly in Ireland does he come from, anyway? | 他到底是从爱尔兰哪里来的 |
[26:12] | Limerick, Miss Austen. | 我来自利默里克 奥斯汀小姐 |
[26:21] | I would regard it as a mark of extreme favour | 如果下一支舞你能屈尊赏脸 |
[26:25] | if you would stoop to honour me with this next dance. | 我将视其为无上的荣耀 |
[26:34] | Being the first to dance with me, madam, | 作为第一个和我跳舞的人 女士 |
[26:36] | I feel it only fair to inform you | 我觉得我有必要告诉你 |
[26:38] | that you carry the standard for Hampshire hospitality. | 我对汉普郡人热情程度的评价完全基于你的表现 |
[26:42] | Then your country reputation depends on my report. | 那你在这里的名声就得看我怎么说了 |
[26:45] | This, by the way, is called a country dance, | 顺便说一下 这叫乡村舞 |
[26:47] | after the French, contredanse. | 是根据法语词「队列舞」取名的 |
[26:53] | Not because it is exhibited at an uncouth rural assembly | 不是因为它是在粗俗的乡村舞会上跳的 |
[26:57] | with glutinous pies, | 伴着黏糊糊的馅饼 |
[27:01] | execrable Madeira | 糟糕的葡萄酒 |
[27:05] | and truly anarchic dancing. | 和没有任何规矩的舞蹈 |
[27:06] | You judge the company severely, madam. | 你对大家的评判充满恶意 女士 |
[27:09] | I was describing what you’d be thinking. | 我只是说出了你的想法 |
[27:11] | Allow me to think for myself. | 请让我自己想 不需要你代劳 |
[27:13] | Gives me leave to do the same, sir, | 那就让我也自己想 先生 |
[27:14] | and come to a different conclusion. | 肯定会有不同的结论 |
[27:16] | Will you give so much to a woman? | 你能给一个女人这种权利吗 |
[27:17] | It must depend on the woman | 那得看是什么样的女人 |
[27:20] | and what she thinks of me. | 以及她对我的看法是怎样的 |
[27:23] | But you are above being pleased. | 但你是个很难取悦的人 |
[27:30] | And I think that you, miss, what was it? | 我觉得你 你姓什么来着 |
[27:32] | – Austen. Mr…? – Lefroy. | -奥斯汀 你姓… -勒弗罗伊 |
[27:36] | I think that you, Miss Austen, | 奥斯汀小姐 我觉得你 |
[27:40] | consider yourself a cut above the company. | 自认为高人一等 |
[27:44] | Me? | 我吗 |
[27:47] | You, ma’am, | 就是你 小姐 |
[27:50] | secretly. | 内心里是这样的 |
[28:02] | How many times did you stand up with that gentleman, Jane? | 你和那位绅士针锋相对了几次 简 |
[28:06] | – Was it twice? – Twice would have been partial. | -两次吗 -说两次有点少了 |
[28:08] | – Thrice would have been absolutely… – Flagrant. | -说三次就是… -穷凶极恶了 |
[28:11] | Careful, Jane, Lucy is right. | 简 小心点 露西说得没错 |
[28:13] | Mr Lefroy does have a reputation. | 勒弗罗伊先生名声在外 |
[28:15] | Presumably as the most disagreeable… | 他大概是最令人厌恶的… |
[28:18] | “…insolent, arrogant, impudent, | “无礼的 傲慢的 无耻的 |
[28:23] | “insufferable, impertinent of men.” | 令人无法忍受的 自大的男人” |
[28:35] | Too many adjectives. | 太多形容词了 |
[28:51] | What is she trying to say? | 她想说什么啊 |
[28:53] | On your toes, gentlemen. No singles. | 准备好 先生们 别落下 |
[29:01] | Bowler’s end, bowler’s end. | 投手这边 投手这边 |
[29:07] | Again! Run for more. | 再来 继续跑 |
[29:09] | I never feel more French than when I watch cricket. | 在看板球时 我会觉得自己是个真正的法国人 |
[29:14] | – Out. – Not out. | -出局 -没有出局 |
[29:15] | – No? – No. | -没有吗 -没有 |
[29:16] | Is he out? | 他出局了吗 |
[29:23] | I begin to suspect you’re flirting with my brother, cousin. | 我开始怀疑你在和我哥哥调情了 表姐 |
[29:26] | Flirting is a woman’s trade. One must keep in practice. | 调情是女人的常用手段 要经常练习 |
[29:33] | You’re gone. | 你出局了 |
[29:35] | Well played, Tom. | 投得好 汤姆 |
[29:38] | We’re depending on you. | 就靠你了 |
[29:43] | Oh, it’s Mr Warren’s…turn. | 轮到沃伦先生了 |
[29:46] | Best of luck! | 祝你好运 |
[29:47] | John Warren! | 约翰·沃伦 |
[29:51] | Good luck, Mr Warren. | 祝你好运 沃伦先生 |
[29:53] | John never was very good, though. | 约翰一直都打得不太好 |
[30:07] | Easy! | 悠着点 |
[30:11] | Run, Warren, run! | 跑啊 沃伦 快跑 |
[30:12] | Quickly, hurry! Run! | 快跑啊 跑啊 |
[30:14] | Jolly good show! | 真精彩 |
[30:16] | Watch. | 看好了 |
[30:19] | You’re out. | 你出局了 |
[30:21] | You’re gone, Mr Warren. | 你出局了 沃伦先生 |
[30:22] | Prodigious, Tom, prodigious. | 太厉害了 汤姆 太厉害了 |
[30:28] | Thank you, Warren. On your way. | 谢谢你 沃伦 走好 |
[30:30] | Same again, Tom. | 又是这样 汤姆 |
[30:34] | Well done, Mr Warren. | 好样的 沃伦先生 |
[30:36] | Bad ball. It’s a terrible wicket. | 打得不好 简直太糟糕了 |
[30:38] | I hope you’re not too disappointed, Miss Austen. | 希望你没有特别失望 奥斯汀小姐 |
[30:42] | Four more to win, Wisley. | 要再跑四个来回才能赢 韦斯利 |
[30:46] | – Who’s next? – Come on! | -下一个是谁 -快点啊 |
[30:50] | – She can’t… – Jane! | -她不能… -简 |
[30:52] | What on earth are you going to do? | 你要干什么啊 |
[30:54] | – Irrepressible. – She can. | -忍不住了 -她可以的 |
[31:09] | Move in! | 就位 |
[31:11] | Go easy, Tom. | 手下留情 汤姆 |
[31:18] | Be gentle, Lefroy! | 温柔点 勒弗罗伊 |
[31:43] | Run, Jane, run! | 跑啊 简 快跑 |
[31:44] | – Move! – Run! | -快跑 -跑啊 |
[31:48] | Only four more to win. | 跑四个来回就赢了 |
[31:50] | Bowler’s end! Move yourself, you lout! | 投手这边 快跑 笨蛋 |
[31:56] | – One more! – Quickly! | -最后一次 -快点 |
[31:58] | Go, go, go! | 跑跑跑 |
[32:00] | Not out. | 没出局 |
[32:04] | Bad luck, Lefroy. | 运气不好啊 勒弗罗伊 |
[32:11] | See? | 看到了吗 |
[32:16] | She was so good. | 她真不错 |
[32:23] | You’ve played this game before, I collect? | 我猜你之前玩过吧 |
[32:24] | No choice, you see. She was raised by brothers. | 没办法啊 毕竟她是被哥哥们带大的 |
[32:27] | Time for a swim, I think. | 该去游泳了 |
[32:33] | Well played, Henry. | 打得不错 亨利 |
[32:35] | I dedicate our victory to La Comtesse de Feuillide. | 我觉得这都归功于费利德伯爵夫人 |
[32:42] | Now, there’s a decent bit of river over the hill. | 山后有条不错的河 |
[32:51] | Careful! | 小心点 |
[33:10] | Come on, let’s go! | 快点 我们走 |
[33:13] | Wait! | 等等 |
[33:19] | Not this time, Lefroy. | 这次别想赢我 勒弗罗伊 |
[33:21] | You think not? | 你觉得不会吗 |
[33:49] | Down, boy. | 别叫 孩子 |
[33:53] | – Father, have you seen Tom? – No, Lucy, I’ve not. | -父亲 你看到汤姆了吗 -没有 露西 |
[34:01] | Besotted. | 简直痴迷了 |
[34:04] | Natural enough at 15. | 对15岁的孩子来说再自然不过了 |
[34:06] | Love and sense are enemies at any age. | 无论年纪多大 爱与理智都是对立的 |
[34:09] | – Mrs. Lefroy, may I explore your library? – Of course. | -勒弗罗伊夫人 我能去你的图书室吗 -当然 |
[34:15] | Lucy would marry him tomorrow, | 露西愿意明天就嫁给他 |
[34:17] | and what a terrible husband he would make. | 他肯定会是个糟糕透顶的丈夫 |
[34:19] | I suppose you mean his reputation. | 你是指他的名声吧 |
[34:22] | Experience can recommend a man. | 丰富的经历可以让男人有魅力 |
[35:04] | Miss Austen. | 奥斯汀小姐 |
[35:06] | Mr Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[35:09] | And reading. | 你在看书啊 |
[35:11] | Yes. | 是的 |
[35:13] | I’ve been looking through your book of the wood. | 我在看你在之前森林里提到的书 |
[35:15] | Mr. White’s NaturaI History. | 怀特先生的《自然史》 |
[35:18] | How do you like it? | 你觉得如何 |
[35:19] | I cannot get on. It is too disturbing. | 我看不下去 太令人心烦了 |
[35:22] | Disturbing? | 心烦吗 |
[35:25] | Take this observation. | 比如这一段观察性的描述 |
[35:29] | “Swifts on a fine morning in May, | “五月里一个晴好的早晨 那些雨燕 |
[35:31] | “flying this way, that way, | 时而往这边飞 时而往那边飞 |
[35:33] | “sailing around at a great height perfectly happily. | 在高空愉快地飞翔着 |
[35:37] | “Then… | 然后… |
[35:38] | “Then one leaps onto the back of another, | 然后一只跳到了另一只的背上 |
[35:42] | “grasps tightly, | 紧紧抓着 |
[35:44] | “and forgetting to fly, they both sink | 它们忘记了继续飞 |
[35:46] | down and down in a great, dying fall, | 双双垂死般地下坠 |
[35:51] | “fathom after fathom, until the female utters…” | 一阵阵地坠落 直到雌鸟发出了…” |
[36:01] | Yes? | 什么 |
[36:06] | “…the female utters a loud, piercing cry | “雌鸟发出了响亮而尖锐的 |
[36:14] | of ecstasy.” | 愉悦的叫声” |
[36:20] | Is this conduct commonplace in the natural history of Hampshire? | 这种行为在汉普郡的自然史上是司空见惯的吗 |
[36:29] | Your ignorance is understandable | 你的无知可以理解 |
[36:32] | since you lack… What shall we call it? | 因为你缺少…怎么说呢 |
[36:37] | The history? | 情史 |
[36:41] | Propriety commands me to ignorance. | 礼节对我的要求是女子无知便是德 |
[36:44] | Condemns you to it and your writing | 那让你和你的作品被紧紧束缚 |
[36:46] | to the status of female accomplishment. | 成就再大也仅限于女性的世界 |
[36:49] | If you wish to practise the art of fiction, | 如果你希望践行小说的艺术 |
[36:52] | to be the equal of a masculine author, | 能与男性作家平起平坐 |
[36:55] | experience is vital. | 丰富的经历是至关重要的 |
[37:01] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[37:03] | And what qualifies you to offer this advice? | 但你有什么资格提出这种建议 |
[37:09] | I know more of the world. | 我更了解这个世界 |
[37:12] | A great deal more, I gather. | 我看是比我了解得多 |
[37:15] | Enough to know that your horizons must be… | 那让我足以知道你的眼界 |
[37:20] | widened by an extraordinary young man. | 一定会因为一位非凡的年轻人而拓宽 |
[37:26] | By a very dangerous young man, | 是一位非常危险的年轻人 |
[37:29] | one who has, no doubt, infected the hearts of many a young… | 毫无疑问 他用软性堕落影响了很多年轻… |
[37:31] | – Young woman with the soft corruption… – Read this | -年轻女性 -看看这本书吧 |
[37:37] | and you will understand. | 你就会明白了 |
[37:45] | 《弃儿汤姆·琼斯的历史》 作者 亨利.菲尔丁 | |
[37:45] | “When the philosopher heard that the fortress of virtue | “当哲学家听说美德的堡垒 |
[37:49] | had already been subdued, | 已被征服 |
[37:51] | “he began to give a large scope to his desires. | 他开始认真探索自己的欲望 |
[37:54] | “His appetite was not of that squeamish kind | 他不是那种因为美味佳肴 |
[37:57] | which cannot feed on a dainty | 被别人品尝过 |
[37:58] | – “because another…” – “Another has tasted it.” | -而感到反胃…” -“而感到反胃的人” |
[38:00] | – He’s not tasting this dainty. – What, dear? | -他不打算品尝这美味佳肴 -什么 亲爱的 |
[38:05] | “…nor had her face much appearance of beauty. | “她的脸蛋也不太漂亮 |
[38:08] | “But her clothes being torn from all the upper part of her body…” | 但她的衣服从上至下被撕开” |
[38:11] | “her breasts, which were well formed and extremely white, | “她的乳房非常坚挺 颜色非常白皙 |
[38:16] | “attracted the eyes of her deliverer, | 吸引着她的解救者的目光 |
[38:18] | and for a few moments they stood silent…” | 一瞬间 他们静静地站着” |
[38:21] | “…and gazing at each other.” | “…凝视着彼此” |
[38:48] | I have read your book. | 我看了你推荐给我的书 |
[38:52] | I have read your book and disapprove. | 我看了那本书 但并不赞同 |
[38:54] | Of course you do. | 毫不意外 |
[38:55] | But of what? | 你不赞同什么 |
[38:56] | The scenes? Characters? The prose? | 场景 人物 还是文笔 |
[38:59] | No, all good. | 不是 这些都挺好 |
[39:03] | The morality? | 道德和礼节吗 |
[39:05] | Flawed. | 有缺陷 |
[39:07] | Well, of course, it is. | 当然是了 |
[39:08] | But why? | 但为什么呢 |
[39:09] | Vice leads to difficulty, virtue to reward. | 恶有恶报 善有善报 |
[39:12] | Bad characters come to bad ends. | 坏人没有好下场 |
[39:14] | Exactly. But in life, | 没错 但在现实生活中 |
[39:17] | bad characters often thrive. Take yourself. | 坏人通常都春风得意 比如说你 |
[39:20] | And a novel must show how the world truly is, | 而小说必须要表现真实的世界 |
[39:25] | how characters genuinely think, how events actually occur. | 人物究竟是怎么想的 事情到底是怎么发生的 |
[39:29] | A novel should somehow | 小说应该以某种方式 |
[39:33] | reveal the true source of our actions. | 揭示我们行为的根源 |
[39:37] | What of my hero’s feelings? | 那男主角的感受呢 |
[39:39] | Well, it seems to me, sir, that | 在我看来 先生 |
[39:42] | your hero’s very vigorous feelings | 男主角强烈的感受 |
[39:44] | caused him and everyone connected with him | 为他和身边的所有人 |
[39:46] | a great deal of trouble. | 都带来了很多麻烦 |
[39:48] | If the book has troubled you… | 如果这本书让你觉得烦扰… |
[39:50] | Oh, but an orphan must know trouble. | 但孤儿必须面对麻烦 |
[39:52] | What sort of trouble? | 什么样的麻烦 |
[39:55] | All sorts of trouble. | 各种各样的麻烦 |
[40:06] | Laverton Fair. Vastly entertaining. | 拉弗顿集市 太有趣了 |
[40:08] | Monstrous good idea, Jane. | 真是个好主意 简 |
[40:09] | Yes, Miss Austen, | 是啊 奥斯汀小姐 |
[40:10] | not exactly your usual society, I’d say. | 不是你平常会接触到的人群吧 |
[40:13] | Show a little imagination, Mr Lefroy. | 有点想象力吧 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[40:45] | Trouble here enough. | 这里的麻烦够多了 |
[40:48] | And freedom, | 还有自由 |
[40:49] | the freedom of men. | 男人的自由 |
[40:51] | Do not you envy it? | 你不羡慕吗 |
[40:53] | But I have the intense pleasure of observing it so closely. | 但我能这么近地目睹 已经很愉快了 |
[41:02] | Now, there’s a fool, to go to it with a professional. | 这个傻瓜 遇上了专业选手 |
[41:06] | You know about this, of course. | 你当然对此很熟悉了 |
[41:08] | Of course. | 当然了 |
[41:09] | Yes, a vastly fashionable pastime in London. | 是啊 这在伦敦是个很时髦的消遣活动 |
[41:21] | Beating a man to a pulp. | 把一个男人揍成肉泥 |
[41:22] | What are you doing? | 你要干什么 |
[41:26] | Mr Lefroy, stop! | 勒弗罗伊先生 站住 |
[41:29] | Make way! | 让一下 |
[41:35] | – Stop! – Let us see how you fare against me, sir. | -住手 -看看你怎么打赢我 先生 |
[41:39] | Coming through. | 让一让 |
[41:45] | Five shillings on the gent. Who will take it? | 5先令赌这位先生赢 谁来和我赌 |
[41:47] | You, sir? That’s the ticket. | 你吗 先生 票在这里 |
[41:47] | Have that. | 拿着 |
[41:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:56] | Go on, hit him! | 加油 打他 |
[42:00] | Come on, Lefroy, hit him, man! | 加油 勒弗罗伊 打他啊 |
[42:03] | Tom, | 汤姆 |
[42:05] | you must stop. | 你必须停下了 |
[42:10] | Come on, Lefroy! | 加油 勒弗罗伊 |
[42:15] | Up, sir. | 起来 先生 |
[42:19] | Tom! | 汤姆 |
[42:23] | Lucy. | 露西 |
[42:30] | That’s twice he’s done that to me. | 他已经第二次让我输了 |
[42:32] | You spend money like water. | 你花钱像流水一样 |
[42:35] | I’m afraid it’s damn low water with me. | 恐怕我的钱太少了 |
[42:38] | – I’m afraid I’m short, sir. – Take it. | -我的钱恐怕不够了 先生 -拿去 |
[42:42] | How embarrassing. | 太丢人了 |
[42:47] | Mr Lefroy? Mr Lefroy? Mr Lefroy? | 勒弗罗伊先生 勒弗罗伊先生 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[42:56] | Was I deficient in propriety? | 我刚才是不是太不守礼节了 |
[43:01] | Why did you do that? | 你为什么要那么做 |
[43:04] | Couldn’t waste all those expensive boxing lessons. | 那么多节昂贵的拳击课可不能白学 |
[43:10] | Forgive me if I suspect in you a sense of justice. | 原谅我可能怀疑了你的正义感 |
[43:17] | I am a lawyer. | 我是一名律师 |
[43:19] | Justice plays no part in the law. | 正义在法律中毫无作用 |
[43:23] | Is that what you believe? | 你是这么认为的吗 |
[43:28] | I believe it. I must. | 是的 我必须这么认为 |
[43:33] | I beg your leave. | 我先失陪了 |
[43:44] | Her heart is stirred. | 她的心被扰乱了 |
[43:45] | It’s a summer squall. | 只是一阵夏日狂风 |
[43:48] | Mr Lefroy will soon be gone. | 勒弗罗伊先生很快就会离开 |
[43:51] | And Mr Wisley will still be waiting, I hope. | 韦斯利先生还会等着她的 但愿吧 |
[43:55] | The man’s a booby. | 他就是个呆子 |
[43:56] | Oh, he will grow out of that. | 他年纪再大些就不会这样了 |
[43:58] | And she could fix him with very little trouble. | 她可以轻而易举地把他变好 |
[44:01] | You could persuade her. | 你可以去劝劝她 |
[44:04] | To sacrifice her happiness? | 劝她牺牲自己的幸福吗 |
[44:06] | Jane should have not the man who offers the best price, | 简不应该嫁给条件最好的男人 |
[44:09] | but the man she wants. | 而应该嫁给她喜欢的男人 |
[44:11] | Oh, Mr.Austen. | 奥斯汀先生 |
[44:13] | Must we have this conversation day in and day out? | 我们还要一天天地争论这个问题吗 |
[44:18] | We’ll end up in the gutter if we carry on like this. | 再继续这样下去 我们会沦落成穷人的 |
[44:38] | Jenny! | 珍妮 |
[44:40] | Mr.Austen! | 奥斯汀先生 |
[44:44] | Where are you? | 你们在哪 |
[45:10] | So kind of you to return the call. | 谢谢你们能回访 |
[45:17] | Will you take a dish of tea, ma’am? | 要喝杯茶吗 夫人 |
[45:19] | Green tea? | 绿茶吗 |
[45:21] | Brown, Your Ladyship. | 红茶 夫人 |
[45:24] | Then no. | 那就算了 |
[45:30] | Where is your youngest daughter? | 你的小女儿呢 |
[45:34] | She’s visiting the poor, ma’am. | 她去看望穷人了 夫人 |
[45:49] | Jane? Jane! | 简 简 |
[45:55] | At last. | 终于回来了 |
[45:57] | Lady Gresham and Mr Wisley have come to call. | 格雷夏姆夫人和韦斯利先生来访了 |
[46:00] | Where have you been? | 你去哪了 |
[46:03] | Ma’am. Sir. | 夫人 先生好 |
[46:06] | Well, perhaps… | 或许 |
[46:08] | Perhaps the young people would like to take a walk? | 或许年轻人们想出去走走吧 |
[46:11] | I see there’s a pretty little wilderness at the side of the house. | 我看到房子边上有一片美丽的旷野 |
[46:17] | Excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[46:22] | Jane? | 简 |
[46:27] | – What is she doing? – Writing. | -她在做什么 -写作 |
[46:32] | Can anything be done about it? | 能做些什么改掉她这毛病吗 |
[46:39] | Miss Austen, | 奥斯汀小姐 |
[46:41] | you may know that I have known you | 你可能知道我在史蒂文顿做客期间 |
[46:46] | for some considerable time during my visits to Steventon. | 大部分时间都在了解你 |
[46:50] | The garden is so affecting in this season. | 这个季节的花园真美 |
[46:55] | Indeed. | 是啊 |
[46:57] | The impression you have given me has always… | 你给我留下的印象一直都… |
[47:00] | The flowers particularly. | 尤其是花朵 |
[47:03] | What I’m trying to say is that I… | 我想说的是 我… |
[47:06] | I have a respectable property of 2,000 a year | 我一年有2000英镑可观的收入 |
[47:09] | in addition to even greater expectations as Lady Gresham’s heir, | 作为格雷夏姆夫人的继承人将来还会有更多 |
[47:12] | – to which it may be indelicate to refer. – Oh, indelicate, yes. | -这么说可能有些失礼 -失礼 没错 |
[47:16] | It’s yours. | 这都是你的 |
[47:17] | If we marry, all of it, yours. | 如果我们结婚了 这些都是你的 |
[47:23] | Mr Wisley… | 韦斯利先生 |
[47:30] | Your offer is most sincere, I can see, | 我明白你的求婚非常真诚 |
[47:33] | and gentlemanlike, and it honours me, truly. | 也很绅士 我倍感荣幸 真的 |
[47:38] | But for all you are, and all you offer, I… | 但对于你的财产 你的求婚 我… |
[47:45] | Yes. | 是的 |
[47:57] | Sometimes affection is a shy flower that takes time to blossom. | 有时爱意是一朵娇羞的花 需要时间绽放 |
[48:08] | Lying to tradesmen, | 对小贩说谎话编造借口 |
[48:10] | mending, scratching, scraping. | 缝缝补补 敲敲打打 各种杂活 |
[48:13] | Endlessly, endlessly making do! | 望不到头的凑合的日子 |
[48:16] | I understand that our circumstances are difficult, ma’am. | 我知道我们的处境困难 夫人 |
[48:19] | – There is no money for you. – Surely something could be done. | -你没有钱 -肯定还有办法的 |
[48:23] | What we can put by must go to your brothers. | 我们所有的积蓄都只能留给你的兄弟们 |
[48:26] | You will have nothing, unless you marry. | 你将身无分文 除非你嫁户好人家 |
[48:28] | Well, then, I will have nothing. | 那好吧 我可以身无分文 |
[48:29] | For I will not marry without affection, like my mother! | 因为我跟母亲你一样 不要没有感情的婚姻 |
[48:32] | And now I have to dig my own damn potatoes! | 那你瞧我的下场 现在不得不自己去挖土豆 |
[48:44] | Would you rather be a poor old maid? | 你宁可变成一个可怜的老姑娘吗 |
[48:47] | Ridiculous, despised, the butt of jokes? | 成为可笑的 让人瞧不起的笑柄吗 |
[48:50] | The legitimate sport of any village lout | 让村里的每个人都朝你丢石头 |
[48:53] | with a stone and an impudent tongue? | 变成大家茶余饭后的笑料吗 |
[49:01] | Affection is desirable. | 人人都渴求爱情 |
[49:06] | Money is absolutely indispensable. | 但金钱绝对是不可或缺的 |
[49:18] | I could live by my… | 我可以养活自己 靠我的… |
[49:24] | Your what? | 靠你的什么 |
[49:27] | – I could live by my… – Pen? | -我可以靠我的… -你的笔吗 |
[49:30] | Let’s knock that notion on the head once and for all. | 你还是彻底打消这个念头吧 |
[49:33] | What’s this? | 这是怎么了 |
[49:35] | Trouble amongst my women? | 我家的女人们闹矛盾了吗 |
[49:39] | Come, | 过来 |
[49:41] | take hands and there’s an end. | 握个手 这事就算过去了 |
[49:43] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪 |
[49:44] | – Miss! – To feed the pigs, ma’am. | -小姐 -去喂猪 夫人 |
[50:04] | He could give you a splendid home. | 他可以给你一个不愁吃穿的家 |
[50:09] | – A comfortable life. – Father. | -舒适的生活 -父亲 |
[50:12] | Consider. | 考虑一下 |
[50:15] | This is likely to be your best offer. | 这可能是你最好的选择了 |
[50:18] | Wisley? | 韦斯利吗 |
[50:21] | – It is true, so far he has not impressed… – A booby. | -当然 眼下他给人的印象… -就是个呆子 |
[50:25] | He should grow out of that. | 他年纪再大些就不会这样了 |
[50:40] | Nothing destroys spirit like poverty. | 贫穷是最能摧毁人灵魂的东西 |
[50:57] | I saw Queen Marie Antoinette | 我曾经在一场舞会上看到 |
[50:58] | wear something the same at a ball once. | 玛丽·安托瓦内特王后穿过类似的衣服 |
[51:02] | Am I making a show? | 我是不是有点张扬 |
[51:05] | I am, I know. | 我是很张扬 我知道 |
[51:10] | What trouble we take to make them like us | 当我们喜欢上他们 要让他们也喜欢我们 |
[51:11] | when we like them. | 要费多少工夫啊 |
[51:16] | Henry? | 你指亨利吗 |
[51:20] | Eliza, | 伊莱莎 |
[51:22] | – my brother is much younger than you. – And poorer. | -我哥哥的岁数比你小得多 -也比我穷得多 |
[51:28] | He knows that I care for him sincerely. | 他知道我是真心喜欢他 |
[51:31] | I know that he is handsome… | 我知道他很英俊… |
[51:33] | And the handsome young men must have something | 长相英俊的男人和长相普通的男人一样 |
[51:35] | to live on as well as the plain. | 都需要有钱过日子啊 |
[51:36] | You encourage him to take you for money? | 你在怂恿他为了钱和你在一起吗 |
[51:38] | – Men do. – That does not make it honourable. | -男人都这样 -但这并不光彩 |
[51:41] | Well, I’m a sensible woman. | 没关系 我是一个明智的女人 |
[51:44] | I thank God I am not, by your description. | 谢天谢地 我并不是你所描述的那种人 |
[51:49] | If you were, you might have ascertained | 如果你够明智的话 你可能已经打听清楚了 |
[51:50] | that your Irish friend has no money, not a penny | 你那位爱尔兰朋友没什么家产 一分都没有 |
[51:52] | and could not be expected to marry without it. | 所以他也不太可能和没有家产的人结婚 |
[51:56] | Consider that at the ball tonight. | 今晚在舞会上好好考虑一下 |
[51:59] | In any event, he’ll be gone tomorrow back to Bond Street | 不管怎样 他明天就会回邦德街了 |
[52:01] | where he can do no more harm. | 他再也不能祸害你了 |
[53:58] | Good evening, Miss Austen. | 晚上好 奥斯汀小姐 |
[54:02] | Yes, yes. | 是的 没错 |
[56:56] | You dance beautifully. | 你跳得太美了 |
[57:16] | Miss Jane Austen. | 简·奥斯汀小姐 |
[57:19] | Pleasure. | 幸会 |
[57:21] | We’re very honoured to be here at your aunt’s ball. | 我们很荣幸可以来参加你姨妈的舞会 |
[57:24] | You dance with passion. | 你跳起舞来很有激情 |
[57:28] | No sensible woman would demonstrate passion | 倘若是为了吸引未来的丈夫 |
[57:31] | if the purpose were to attract a husband. | 理智的女人是不会展现出激情的 |
[57:36] | As opposed to a lover? | 但要吸引情人就不同吗 |
[57:43] | Rest easy, Mr Lefroy. | 无须担心 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[57:46] | I have no expectation on either account. | 我并不指望能找到丈夫或情人 |
[57:47] | I did not mean to offend or hurt… | 我不是有意冒犯或伤害… |
[57:48] | Oh, no, no, of course not. Excuse me, I’m just overwarm. | 不不 当然 不好意思 我需要透透气 |
[57:54] | Pardon me. | 失陪了 |
[58:07] | – Ah, Miss Austen. – Excuse me. | -奥斯汀小姐 -失陪 |
[58:44] | This is unbearable. | 这实在叫人难以忍受 |
[58:46] | My father is pressing for an early ordination, | 我父亲敦促我希望我早日接受神职 |
[58:49] | while my own inclination is to the scarlet | 但我自己更希望可以穿着军装 |
[58:52] | of a captaincy in His Majesty’s regulars. | 成为陛下正规军的将领 |
[58:54] | But I do not have the money to purchase one. | 但是 我没有足够的金钱去买那个官职 |
[58:59] | I do. | 我有 |
[59:03] | Well, that, of course is impossible. | 怎么能让你为我那么做 |
[59:05] | Oh, Henry, do not disguise yourself, not to me. | 亨利 不要掩饰自己 至少不要对我掩饰 |
[59:12] | The scarlet will suit you very well. | 你穿上军装一定非常好看 |
[59:18] | Miss Austen? | 奥斯汀小姐 |
[59:21] | There you are. | 终于找到你了 |
[59:32] | Miss Austen, I cannot believe | 奥斯汀小姐 我真不敢相信 |
[59:34] | I am obliged to have this conversation. | 我不得不来找你谈谈 |
[59:38] | Your Ladyship? | 什么事 夫人 |
[59:41] | Mr Wisley’s mother, my own dear sister, died young. | 韦斯利先生的母亲 也就是我的妹妹英年早逝 |
[59:46] | I have no children of my own. | 而我自己也没有孩子 |
[59:49] | I hope you never come to understand the pain of that condition. | 我希望你永远不会体会到这种痛苦 |
[59:55] | Let us simply say | 长话短说 |
[59:57] | my nephew’s wishes are close to my heart, | 我最关心的就是我外甥的心愿 |
[1:00:02] | however extraordinary they may be. | 不管是多么不同寻常的心愿 |
[1:00:08] | Well, | 其实 |
[1:00:10] | your health seems robust. | 你看上去很健康 |
[1:00:13] | You have the usual accomplishments. | 你的教养也不错 |
[1:00:17] | Your person is agreeable. | 你本人也挺讨人喜欢的 |
[1:00:22] | But when a young woman such as yourself | 但是像你这样的年轻女子 |
[1:00:26] | receives the addresses from a gentleman such as my nephew, | 有幸被像我外甥这样的绅士求婚 |
[1:00:31] | it is her duty to accept at once. | 就应该马上接受 |
[1:00:34] | But what do we find? | 但你是怎么回应的 |
[1:00:38] | – Independent thought? – Exactly. | -我独立的想法 -没错 |
[1:00:41] | My nephew, Miss Austen, | 奥斯汀小姐 我外甥 |
[1:00:44] | condescends far indeed | 放下身份 纡尊降贵 |
[1:00:47] | in offering to the daughter of an obscure and impecunious clergyman. | 向一个卑微又贫穷的牧师的女儿求婚 |
[1:00:52] | Impecunious? Your Ladyship is mistaken. | 贫穷 夫人你一定是搞错了 |
[1:00:56] | I am never mistaken. | 我从来不会错 |
[1:01:00] | Your father is in grave financial difficulties. | 你父亲正处于极其危险的财政危机中 |
[1:01:05] | But all is not lost. | 但并不是没有机会翻身 |
[1:01:08] | He has a daughter upon whom fortune has smiled. | 他还有个女儿 万贯家财她唾手可得 |
[1:01:27] | Mr Wisley is a good opportunity for Jane. | 对简来说 韦斯利先生可是个好人选 |
[1:01:32] | She should accept him at once. | 她应该立刻答应他 |
[1:01:37] | Do not you think? | 你们不这么觉得吗 |
[1:01:40] | – Lucy, let us take some refreshments. – What? Mother. | -露西 我们去吃点东西 -怎么了 妈妈 |
[1:02:10] | I have learned of Mr Wisley’s marriage proposal. | 我听说韦斯利先生向你求婚了 |
[1:02:15] | My congratulations. | 恭喜你 |
[1:02:17] | Is there an alternative for | 对于一个受过良好教育 |
[1:02:19] | a well-educated young woman of small fortune? | 但没什么家产的年轻女子来说还有其他选择吗 |
[1:02:24] | How can you have him? | 你怎么能接受他呢 |
[1:02:27] | Even with his thousands and his houses, | 即使他有万贯家财 高门大宅 |
[1:02:29] | how can you, of all people, | 你这样脱俗的人 |
[1:02:31] | dispose of yourself without affection? | 怎能将自己轻易托付给一个不爱的人 |
[1:02:37] | How can I dispose of myself with it? | 就算我爱上某个人了又能怎样 |
[1:02:43] | You are leaving tomorrow. | 你明天就要离开了 |
[1:03:22] | – Did I do that well? – Very, very well. | -我吻得还好吗 -非常非常好 |
[1:03:26] | I wanted, just once, to do it well. | 我想做好 哪怕只有一次 |
[1:03:37] | I have no money, no property, | 我没有钱 也没有房产 |
[1:03:40] | I am entirely dependent upon that bizarre old lunatic, my uncle. | 我完全仰仗我那位古怪的疯舅舅养活 |
[1:03:44] | I cannot yet offer marriage. But you must know what I feel. | 我还不能向你求婚 但你必须知道我的感受 |
[1:03:50] | Jane, I’m yours. | 简 我是你的 |
[1:03:52] | Gah, I’m yours. I’m yours, heart and soul. | 天呐 我是你的 我的心和灵魂都是你的 |
[1:04:00] | Much good that is. | 我说得简直太好了 |
[1:04:03] | Let me decide that. | 这该由我来评价 |
[1:04:10] | What will we do? | 我们怎么办 |
[1:04:15] | What we must. | 做我们必须做的 |
[1:04:24] | “My dearest Cassandra, my heart has wings. | “我最亲爱的卡珊德拉 我心潮澎湃 |
[1:04:28] | Doubts and deliberations are ended. | 我不再疑惑 不再犹豫 |
[1:04:31] | Soon I shall escape the attentions | 不久之后我将要逃离 |
[1:04:33] | of that great Lady and her scintillating nephew. | 那位老夫人和她圣人外甥的魔爪 |
[1:04:37] | Eliza, Henry and I will join you at the coast, | 我 伊莱莎和亨利将去海边看望你 |
[1:04:40] | But we are obliged to break our journey in London. | 不过我们中途可以在伦敦短暂停留 |
[1:04:43] | Tom has cleverly secured an invitation | 汤姆已经巧妙地安排了我们留宿 |
[1:04:45] | to stay with his uncle, the judge. | 好让我们认识下他的法官舅舅 |
[1:04:46] | Let us hope we can convince him of my eligibility. | 但愿我们可以让他认可我 |
[1:04:50] | Please destroy this disgraceful letter | 一旦你从震惊中恢复过来 |
[1:04:52] | the moment you have recovered from your astonishment. | 请一定要毁掉这封丢脸的信 |
[1:04:54] | Yours affectionately, and in haste, Jane.” | 你挚爱的 匆忙的简” |
[1:05:02] | Tom! Our guests have arrived. | 汤姆 我们的客人已经到了 |
[1:05:13] | Decorum. | 礼仪 |
[1:05:15] | Countess. | 伯爵夫人 |
[1:05:17] | Sir. | 先生 |
[1:05:19] | – Welcome… – Madame le Comtesse. | -欢迎… -伯爵夫人 |
[1:05:20] | Madame le Comtesse. Seldom, too seldom, | 伯爵夫人 稀客啊 |
[1:05:24] | my house receives the presence of nobility. | 您的到来让寒舍蓬荜生辉 |
[1:05:27] | And, of course, its friends. Please. | 当然还有您的朋友 这边请 |
[1:05:31] | Your stay is short. There’s not a moment to lose. | 您停留的时间不长 一刻都不能耽误 |
[1:05:34] | My nephew has devised a plan | 我外甥已经安排好了 |
[1:05:37] | of metropolitan amusement. | 在城里一系列的娱乐活动 |
[1:05:40] | Pleasure is, as you would say, Madame, his forte. | 夫人 玩乐可是他的专长 您肯定也赞同这点 |
[1:05:45] | Ah, is it? | 真的吗 |
[1:05:49] | Which battle was it, Tom? | 是哪场战役 汤姆 |
[1:05:51] | ViIIers-en-Cauchies. | 维勒斯-考其斯战役 |
[1:05:52] | Very good. Thousands slain. Served those Frenchies out. | 很好 数千人丧生 把法国佬打得人仰马翻 |
[1:05:59] | Saving your presence, ma’am. | 请原谅我的失礼 夫人 |
[1:06:02] | Be not afraid of abusing the Jacobins on my account, Judge. | 不要因为我就不敢指责那些雅各宾派 法官阁下 |
[1:06:05] | They guillotined my husband. | 他们砍了我丈夫的头 |
[1:06:06] | Oh, savages. Beasts. | 真是野蛮人 畜生 |
[1:06:09] | – And his property? – Confiscated. | -那他的财产呢 -充公了 |
[1:06:12] | A disaster. | 真是场灾难 |
[1:06:13] | Of course, by then, much of my wealth was portable, so… | 当然 不过当时我的财产大多都能随身带走 |
[1:06:19] | Yes, portable property | 是啊 可以随身携带的财产 |
[1:06:20] | is happiness in a pocketbook. | 就是指小皮包带给人的幸福感 |
[1:06:25] | Do I detect you in irony? | 你是在出言讽刺吗 |
[1:06:32] | It is my considered opinion | 我个人认为 |
[1:06:34] | that irony is insult with a smiling face. | 讽刺就是面带笑容的羞辱 |
[1:06:38] | Indeed. | 没错 |
[1:06:41] | No. | 不是 |
[1:06:44] | No? | 不是吗 |
[1:06:47] | No, irony is the bringing together of contradictory truths | 不 讽刺是将对立的事实放在一起 |
[1:06:51] | to make out of the contradiction a new truth | 并通过这种对比得出一个新的事实 |
[1:06:53] | with a laugh or a smile, | 同时让人开怀大笑或会心一笑 |
[1:06:55] | and I confess that a truth must come with one or the other, | 我承认事实必定不能独立存在 |
[1:06:59] | or I account it as false | 否则我就认为它是谬论 |
[1:07:00] | and a denial of the very nature of humanity itself. | 也是对人性本质的否定 |
[1:07:13] | My cousin is a writer. | 我表妹是一名作家 |
[1:07:17] | Of what? | 写什么的 |
[1:07:18] | Jane? | 简 |
[1:07:22] | Novels. | 小说 |
[1:07:26] | A young woman of family? | 正派家族的年轻女子 |
[1:07:30] | Yes, uncle, | 没错 舅舅 |
[1:07:32] | and tomorrow we go and visit another, Mrs. Radcliffe. | 明天我们还要拜访另一位女作家 雷德克里夫夫人 |
[1:07:36] | She keeps herself to herself, almost a recluse, | 她很少社交 可以算是位遁世者 |
[1:07:37] | but I know her husband through the law. | 但我通过法律结识了她的丈夫 |
[1:07:39] | Who? | 谁 |
[1:07:41] | The authoress, Mrs. Radcliffe. | 女作家 雷德克里夫夫人 |
[1:07:43] | – As writing is her profession. – Her what? | -写作就是她的职业 -她的什么 |
[1:07:46] | £500, uncle, for the last novel, | 舅舅 她上一本小说卖了五百英镑 |
[1:07:47] | The Mysteries of Udolpho. | 《尤道夫的奥秘》 |
[1:07:49] | – And £800, I believe, for her next. – The Italian. | -我相信下一本能卖八百英镑 -《意大利人》 |
[1:07:51] | Above £1 ,000? | 一千多英镑 |
[1:07:56] | The times, the times. | 时代变了 时代变了 |
[1:08:13] | You live so quietly. | 您的生活很清静 |
[1:08:16] | And yet your novels are filled with romance, danger, terror. | 但您的小说却充满了浪漫 危险和恐惧 |
[1:08:23] | Everything my life is not. | 所有我生活中缺少的东西 |
[1:08:27] | Apparently. | 显然如此 |
[1:08:29] | Of what do you wish to write? | 你想写什么小说 |
[1:08:33] | Of the heart. | 能反映内心的小说 |
[1:08:36] | Do you know it? | 你了解自己的内心吗 |
[1:08:39] | Not all of it. | 并不全然了解 |
[1:08:41] | In time, you will. | 总有一天会的 |
[1:08:44] | But even if that fails, | 但即使失败了 |
[1:08:47] | that’s what the imagination is for. | 还可以靠想象力呢 |
[1:08:53] | Your imagination has brought you independence. | 你的想象力给你带来了独立 |
[1:08:58] | At a cost to myself and to my husband. | 我和我丈夫也付出了代价 |
[1:09:03] | Poor William. | 可怜的威廉 |
[1:09:05] | To have a wife who has a mind is considered not quite proper. | 娶了我这个被大家认为头脑不正常的女人为妻 |
[1:09:08] | To have a wife with a literary reputation | 我这个做妻子的 在文学上的声誉 |
[1:09:11] | nothing short of scandalous. | 简直是丑闻 |
[1:09:18] | But it must be possible | 但一定有可能 |
[1:09:21] | to live as both wife and author? | 同时扮演好妻子和作家的角色吧 |
[1:09:25] | I think so. | 或许是可能的吧 |
[1:09:28] | Though never easy. | 虽然绝不容易 |
[1:10:08] | Could I really have this? | 我真的能拥有吗 |
[1:10:11] | What, precisely? | 拥有什么 |
[1:10:13] | You. | 你 |
[1:10:15] | Me, how? | 我 怎么说 |
[1:10:19] | – This life with you. – Yes. | -和你共度余生 -当然 |
[1:10:23] | Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊 |
[1:10:24] | Hush. The judge. | 小声点 别惊动法官 |
[1:10:26] | The man’s like a rampant dog. | 那家伙就像一条疯狗 |
[1:10:30] | He will be generous. I’m sure of it. | 他会很仁慈的 我确定 |
[1:10:34] | – You’ll speak with him? – Tomorrow, I promise. | -你会找他谈谈的吧 -明天 我保证 |
[1:10:37] | I really must say good night. | 我真的要说晚安了 |
[1:10:40] | – Good night. – Good night. | -晚安 -晚安 |
[1:10:44] | Miss Austen? | 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:10:47] | Yes? | 什么事 |
[1:10:48] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[1:10:55] | You know, I think my mother is right. | 我想我母亲说得对 |
[1:10:58] | A husband, and the sooner, the better. | 赶紧把她嫁了 越早越好 |
[1:11:45] | Five girls of little fortune. | 五个出身不富裕的女孩 |
[1:11:59] | “…sensibly and as warmly as | “坠入爱情的男人 |
[1:12:01] | a man violently in love can be supposed to do.” | 敏感且热烈” |
[1:12:06] | “Mr Wickham was the happy man towards | “威克姆先生是当天最得意的男子 |
[1:12:08] | whom almost every female eye was turned.” | 几乎所有女性的目光都集中在他身上” |
[1:12:17] | “…partial, prejudiced, absurd.” | “太偏心 存在偏见 近乎荒唐” |
[1:12:22] | “Watch for the first appearance of Pemberley Woods.” | “彭伯里森林一出现” |
[1:12:27] | “The happiness which this reply produced…” | “这个回答使他感到从来没有过的快乐” |
[1:12:29] | “It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed.” | “这怎么行 我的感情压抑不住了” |
[1:13:24] | Good morning, sir. | 早安 先生 |
[1:13:26] | Good morning? | 你竟然向我问候早安 |
[1:13:32] | – Has the world turned topsy? – Sir? | -世界是颠倒了吗 -先生 |
[1:13:37] | I trust the countess is enjoying her visit? | 伯爵夫人对这次造访应该还满意吧 |
[1:13:40] | – I gather she is, sir. I… – Fine woman, very fine woman. | -我想是的 先生 -真是个好女人 难得的好女人 |
[1:13:46] | Indeed. | 确实如此 |
[1:13:48] | I’d hoped to discuss a certain matter. | 我有件事想跟您商量 |
[1:13:49] | Your allowance is beyond negotiation. | 你的零用钱没有商量的余地 |
[1:13:58] | Now that you have had the opportunity | 既然您已经借此机会 |
[1:14:01] | to become acquainted with Miss Austen yourself, | 认识了奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:14:04] | I am sure you will find, as I do, | 我相信您也和我一样 |
[1:14:06] | that she is a remarkable young woman. | 觉得她是个了不起的年轻女子 |
[1:14:11] | This is an outrage! | 这真是太不像话了 |
[1:14:13] | If you will allow me to speak, sir. | 请允许我说完 先生 |
[1:14:14] | There is no need. This letter makes it absolutely clear. | 没有必要 这封信上说得很清楚 |
[1:14:18] | Letter? | 什么信 |
[1:14:19] | Now I know what you were at down in Hampshire. | 现在我知道你在汉普郡都干了些什么 |
[1:14:23] | It is from Steventon. | 这是从史蒂文顿寄来的 |
[1:14:24] | Is it true that you have practiced upon me with this chit? | 你是不是真的和这个野丫头一起来愚弄我 |
[1:14:27] | I wished you to know the young lady. | 我希望您能好好了解下这位年轻小姐 |
[1:14:29] | I wished to introduce her to your affections discreetly. | 我想郑重地把她介绍给您 |
[1:14:31] | Aye! Blind me with the rich widow | 是啊 带来一个有钱的寡妇让我眼瞎心盲 |
[1:14:34] | and then insinuate that penniless little husband-hunter! | 然后让我慢慢接受这个一心想高嫁的穷姑娘 |
[1:14:38] | Moderation, sir, I beg you! | 请注意你的言辞 先生 |
[1:14:40] | That ironical little authoress. | 那个爱讽刺的小女作家 |
[1:14:42] | I wished you to know her for yourself. | 我希望您能自己好好地了解她 |
[1:14:45] | I was certain her merit would speak for her. | 我相信她的美德足以证明她的优秀 |
[1:14:48] | Consider, sir, my happiness is in your hands. | 考虑一下 先生 我的幸福掌握在您手上 |
[1:14:51] | Happiness? | 幸福 |
[1:14:55] | Damn it, nephew, | 该死的 外甥 |
[1:14:56] | I had rather you were a whore-mongering blackguard | 我宁愿你是个终日流连于妓女丛中的无赖 |
[1:14:58] | with a chance of reform | 但仍有改过自新的机会 |
[1:15:00] | than a love-sick whelp sunk in a bad marriage. | 也不愿你在不幸的婚姻中沉沦 |
[1:15:20] | My uncle has refused to give his consent. | 我舅舅不同意我们在一起 |
[1:15:24] | – The letter has done its work. – Who sent it? | -那封信成功发挥了作用 -谁寄来的 |
[1:15:30] | Lady Gresham? | 格雷夏姆夫人吗 |
[1:15:33] | Or her nephew. | 或者她外甥 |
[1:15:43] | They think that they can do what they like with us, | 他们认为他们可以对我们为所欲为 |
[1:15:45] | but I will not accept this. | 但我不会接受的 |
[1:15:47] | We have no choice. | 我们别无选择 |
[1:15:50] | Of course we do. | 当然有 |
[1:16:04] | I depend entirely upon… | 我完全依靠… |
[1:16:13] | Upon your uncle. | 依靠你的舅舅 |
[1:16:19] | And I depend on you. | 而我依靠你 |
[1:16:28] | So what will you do? | 那你要怎么做 |
[1:16:32] | What I must. | 做我必须做的 |
[1:16:35] | I have a duty to my family, | 我要对家人负责 |
[1:16:37] | Jane. I must think of them as well as… | 简 我必须考虑到他们… |
[1:16:39] | Tom… | 汤姆 |
[1:16:44] | Is that… Is that all you have to say to me? | 这就是你要对我说的吗 |
[1:17:04] | Goodbye, Mr Lefroy. | 再见 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:18:01] | The sentence of this court is | 本庭判决如下 |
[1:18:02] | that you be taken to the place whence you came | 你将被遣送回原籍 |
[1:18:05] | and thence to a place of execution, | 从那里押往刑场 |
[1:18:09] | and that you be there hanged by the neck until you are dead. | 并执行绞刑 |
[1:18:14] | May the Lord have mercy on your soul. | 愿主宽恕你的灵魂 |
[1:18:27] | Next. | 下一个 |
[1:18:40] | He has behaved so ill to you, Jane. | 他待你太差劲了 简 |
[1:18:49] | Perhaps soon we can return home to Steventon. | 也许很快我们就能回到史蒂文顿的家里了 |
[1:18:54] | Is there any news of Robert? | 有罗伯特的消息吗 |
[1:19:03] | He has arrived in San Domingo at last. | 他终于到了圣多明各 |
[1:19:05] | Good. | 不错 |
[1:19:09] | Good. | 挺好的 |
[1:19:35] | Glass of wine with you, sir? | 跟我喝一杯吗 先生 |
[1:19:39] | Yes. | 好啊 |
[1:19:40] | Yes, a toast from one member of the profession to another. | 一个浪荡女子向一个浪荡男子敬酒 |
[1:20:59] | I’m sorry to have been so disobliging in the past. | 对不起 我以前总是那么不听话 |
[1:21:09] | Mr Wisley? | 韦斯利先生 |
[1:21:16] | So, the infamous Mrs. Radcliffe. | 臭名昭著的雷德克里夫夫人 |
[1:21:20] | Was she really as gothic as her novels? | 她真的像她的小说一样古怪吗 |
[1:21:26] | Not in externals, | 外表不是 |
[1:21:27] | but her inner landscape is quite picturesque, I suspect. | 但她的内心是美丽的 我猜想 |
[1:21:31] | True of us all. | 谁不是呢 |
[1:22:32] | There’s a message for Reverend Austen. | 一封给奥斯汀牧师的信 |
[1:22:39] | – Message for Reverend Austen. – Thank you. | -奥斯汀牧师的信 -谢谢 |
[1:23:08] | Uncle? | 舅舅 |
[1:23:26] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[1:24:28] | It seemed he died very soon after landing in San Domingo. | 他似乎在抵达圣多明各后不久就去世了 |
[1:24:32] | My God, he was hardly there. | 天呐 他刚到没多久 |
[1:24:35] | What was the disease? | 他生什么病了 |
[1:24:39] | Yellow fever. Lord Craven, he wrote. | 黄热病 克雷文大人在信里是这么说的 |
[1:24:43] | He said that if he had known he was engaged to be married, | 他说如果他早知道他已经订婚了 |
[1:24:46] | he would never have taken him. | 他就不会带他去了 |
[1:24:56] | Jane, there’s something else. | 简 还有件事 |
[1:25:00] | Mr Lefroy, Tom. | 勒弗罗伊先生 汤姆 |
[1:25:05] | What? | 怎么了 |
[1:25:06] | I would keep this from you if I could. | 我本来不想告诉你的 |
[1:25:10] | He’s here visiting Mrs. Lefroy and I… | 他来探望勒弗罗伊夫人 我… |
[1:25:13] | He is engaged. | 他订婚了 |
[1:25:25] | So soon? | 这么快吗 |
[1:26:00] | A letter? | 在写信吗 |
[1:26:03] | No. | 不是 |
[1:26:05] | It’s something I began in London. | 是在伦敦时开始写的东西 |
[1:26:12] | It is the tale of a young woman. | 是一个年轻女子的故事 |
[1:26:16] | Two young women. | 两个年轻女子 |
[1:26:20] | Better than their circumstances. | 出身虽不好 但心高气远 |
[1:26:22] | So many are. | 很多人都这样 |
[1:26:24] | And two young gentlemen | 以及两位年轻男子 |
[1:26:25] | who receive much better than their deserts | 他们的人生远比他们应得的要富足 |
[1:26:29] | as so very many do. | 很多人都是这样 |
[1:26:38] | How does the story begin? | 故事开头怎么样 |
[1:26:41] | – Badly. – And then? | -糟糕 -后面呢 |
[1:26:42] | It gets worse. | 更糟糕 |
[1:26:46] | With, I hope, some humour. | 我希望至少带点幽默 |
[1:26:54] | How does it end? | 结尾是怎样的 |
[1:27:01] | They both make triumphant, happy endings. | 最后都收获了幸福 |
[1:27:06] | Brilliant marriages? | 美满的婚姻吗 |
[1:27:09] | Incandescent marriages | 耀眼的婚姻 |
[1:27:13] | to very rich men. | 嫁给非常富有的男人 |
[1:27:28] | You asked me a question. | 你曾经问过我一个问题 |
[1:27:32] | I am ready to give you an answer. | 我可以给出答案了 |
[1:27:34] | But there is one matter to be settled. | 但有一件事需要解决 |
[1:27:41] | I cannot make you out, Mr Wisley. | 我真是看不透你 韦斯利先生 |
[1:27:45] | At times, | 有时候 |
[1:27:47] | you are the most gentlemanlike man I know and yet you would… | 你是我认识的最有绅士风度的人 但是你… |
[1:27:51] | “Yet”. What a sad word. | “但是” 多么伤感的词 |
[1:27:55] | And yet, you write yourself most tellingly to great effect. | 但是 你写的东西十分过分 |
[1:28:01] | – I’m speaking, of course, of your letter. – What letter? | -我当然是在说你的信 -什么信 |
[1:28:04] | Was your aunt the correspondent on your behalf? | 是你姨妈替你写的吗 |
[1:28:10] | What matter. | 无所谓了 |
[1:28:12] | One way or another, passion makes fools of us all. | 无论以何种方式 浓烈的爱会让我们都变成傻瓜 |
[1:28:15] | I hope, in time, passion may regain your better opinion. | 我希望 爱也能及时让你恢复理智 |
[1:28:17] | The emotion is absurd. | 这种情感太荒谬了 |
[1:28:20] | When you consider the sex to whom it is often directed, | 当考虑到这通常都是针对女性的 |
[1:28:23] | indistinguishable from folly. | 那简直与愚蠢无异了 |
[1:28:27] | I thank you for the honour of your proposal. I accept. Good day. | 谢谢你的求婚 我接受 再见 |
[1:28:59] | George, George. | 乔治 乔治 |
[1:29:01] | Mr Wisley is… He’s an honourable man. | 韦斯利先生 他是个高尚的人 |
[1:29:05] | You’ll always have a place with me. | 我永远不会不管你的 |
[1:29:12] | Miss Austen. | 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:29:16] | Mr Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:29:26] | Sir. | 先生 |
[1:29:32] | I believe I must congratulate you, Mr Lefroy. | 我想我得祝贺你 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:29:37] | And you’ve come to visit an old friend at such a time. | 这个时候来探望一位老朋友 |
[1:29:39] | How considerate. | 真是体贴 |
[1:29:47] | I have come to offer an explanation, belatedly, for my conduct. | 我是来为我的所为做出解释的 虽然有些迟了 |
[1:29:56] | I cannot think how to describe it. | 我不知道该怎么形容 |
[1:29:59] | Tell me about your lady, Mr Lefroy. | 跟我说说你的未婚妻 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:30:03] | From where does she come? | 她是哪里人 |
[1:30:07] | She’s from County Wexford. | 她是韦克斯福德郡的 |
[1:30:09] | Your own country. Excellent. | 跟你是同乡啊 真好 |
[1:30:15] | What was it that won her? | 是什么赢得了她的芳心 |
[1:30:17] | Your manner, smiles and pleasing address? | 你的举止 微笑和令人愉悦的谈吐吗 |
[1:30:26] | No, no, not at all. | 不 不 完全不是 |
[1:30:29] | No, had I really experienced that emotion, | 不 如果我真的喜欢过他 |
[1:30:32] | I should, at present, detest the very sight of him. | 我现在应该一见到他就会感到厌恶 |
[1:30:36] | And you are mistaken. | 你错了 |
[1:30:38] | I’m even impartial towards the gloriously endowed Miss Wexford… | 我甚至对出身富贵的韦克斯福德郡小姐不带偏见 |
[1:30:43] | I cannot do this. | 我受不了了 |
[1:30:54] | And so you would marry Wisley? | 所以你要嫁给韦斯利 |
[1:31:02] | Please? | 拜托 |
[1:31:07] | If there is a shred of truth or justice inside of you, | 如果你的内心有一丝诚实或公正 |
[1:31:11] | – You cannot marry him. -Oh no, Mr Lefroy. | -你就不能嫁给他 -不 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:31:13] | Justice, by your own admission, | 你自己也承认 你对公正所知甚少 |
[1:31:14] | you know little of, truth even less. | 对诚实更是少之又少 |
[1:31:16] | Jane, I have tried. | 简 我努力过了 |
[1:31:18] | I have tried and I cannot live this lie. | 我努力过了 但我无法违背自己的意愿 |
[1:31:22] | Can you? | 你能吗 |
[1:31:24] | Jane, can you? | 简 你可以吗 |
[1:31:31] | What value will there be in life if we are not together? | 如果我们不能在一起 人生还有什么意义 |
[1:31:42] | Run away with me. | 跟我一起离开吧 |
[1:31:46] | An elopement? | 私奔吗 |
[1:31:49] | That is exactly what I propose. | 我就是这样的想法 |
[1:31:52] | We’ll post to London, by Friday be in Scotland, and man and wife. | 我们先回伦敦 周五抵达苏格兰 在那儿成婚 |
[1:31:59] | – Leave everything? – Everything. | -抛下一切吗 -一切 |
[1:32:03] | It is the only way we can be together. | 只有这样我们才能在一起 |
[1:32:25] | You’ll lose everything. | 你会失去一切的 |
[1:32:28] | Family, place. For what? | 包括家人 地位 为了什么 |
[1:32:33] | A lifetime of drudgery on a pittance? | 一辈子做苦力 领着微薄的酬劳 |
[1:32:36] | A child every year and no means to lighten the load? | 每年生一个孩子 未来却黑暗得见不到一丝光 |
[1:32:40] | – How will you write, Jane? – I do not know. | -到时候你要怎么写作 简 -我不知道 |
[1:32:43] | But happiness is within my grasp | 但是幸福就在我触手可及的地方 |
[1:32:45] | and I cannot help myself. | 我控制不了自己 |
[1:32:46] | There is no sense in this. | 这样做根本毫无道理 |
[1:32:53] | If you could have your Robert back, even like this, | 如果罗伯特能死而复生 即使是这种处境 |
[1:32:58] | would you do it? | 你会这么做吗 |
[1:33:07] | Please conceal my departure as long as possible. | 请你尽量帮我把这事隐瞒得久一点 |
[1:33:10] | Wait. | 等等 |
[1:33:14] | Here. | 给你 |
[1:33:17] | Take these. Now go, quickly. | 拿上这些 快点走吧 |
[1:33:56] | Come. If we hurry, we can still make the morning coach. | 快来 如果我们抓紧时间还能赶上早晨的马车 |
[1:33:59] | You are sure? | 你确定了吗 |
[1:34:07] | Be careful. | 小心 |
[1:34:11] | Is it coming? | 车到了吗 |
[1:34:13] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[1:34:17] | Take my hand. | 牵着我的手 |
[1:34:18] | All right? | 还好吗 |
[1:34:20] | Hurry. I can hear it approaching. | 快点 我能听到车快来了 |
[1:34:28] | Here it is. | 来了 |
[1:34:39] | Two to London. We’ll settle the first rest. | 两位去伦敦 等中途休息再付钱 |
[1:34:41] | – Yes? – Right you are, sir. | -可以吗 -好的 先生 |
[1:35:15] | Hampshire, your home county. | 汉普郡 你的家乡 |
[1:35:19] | It was. | 以前是 |
[1:35:29] | Stuck. Everybody out, ladies and gentlemen, please. | 陷住了 麻烦大家都下来吧 女士们先生们 |
[1:35:35] | – We need to lighten the load. – No, let me, let me. | -我们需要减重 -我来 我来帮你 |
[1:35:38] | I shall require you gentlemen to give me a hand, | 请各位先生们帮个忙 |
[1:35:41] | put your shoulders into it. | 都出力推一推 |
[1:35:45] | Now, sir, if you can push on the coach itself. | 先生 麻烦您帮忙推一下马车 |
[1:35:48] | Excuse me, sir. Young gentleman? | 抱歉 先生 这位年轻先生 |
[1:35:50] | – Yes, yes. – You on the other side, sir, thank you. | -好的 好的 -您到另一边去吧 谢谢 |
[1:35:54] | – Young gentleman, please come along. – All right. | -这位年轻先生 请到这边来 -好的 |
[1:35:56] | Mind helping us? Thank you. | 能帮我们一下吗 谢谢 |
[1:35:59] | Right, all together now then, sirs, please? | 好的 大家一起用力 |
[1:36:07] | One, two, | 一 二 |
[1:36:09] | and a three and push! | 三 推 |
[1:36:13] | Come on. | 加油 |
[1:36:15] | “Dear Tom. | “亲爱的汤姆 |
[1:36:17] | How timely was the arrival of the money you sent.” | 你寄来的钱真是赶上急用了” |
[1:36:22] | One, two and three! | 一 二 三 推 |
[1:36:30] | “It was so very much appreciated by your father and I. | “我和你父亲都很感激你寄来这笔钱 |
[1:36:34] | You’re so kind to share your uncle’s allowance. | 你把你舅舅给的补贴送给我们 真是太好心了 |
[1:36:37] | Indeed, I do not dare think | 事实上 我不敢想 |
[1:36:38] | how we would survive without it.” | 如果没有这笔钱我们该怎么活下去” |
[1:36:47] | Well done. Thank you, sirs. | 可以了 谢谢先生们 |
[1:36:49] | All right, ladies and gentlemen, | 好了 女士们先生们 |
[1:36:50] | back on the coach as soon as you can, thank you. | 请尽快回到马车上吧 谢谢 |
[1:37:03] | We are ready. | 我们可以出发了 |
[1:37:11] | – Worried? – No. | -担心了吗 -没有 |
[1:37:15] | – Is it the loss of your reputation? – No. | -是担心你的名声会受损吗 -不是 |
[1:37:21] | The loss of yours. | 是担心你的名声受损 |
[1:37:23] | – I do not… – Please, sir, come along, the coach is departing. | -我不在乎 -先生 请快点 我们要出发了 |
[1:37:27] | Come. | 来吧 |
[1:38:04] | Changing horses. Twenty minutes only. | 需要更换马匹 大家休息二十分钟 |
[1:38:07] | House of office at the back of the inn. | 暂歇处在旅店后面 |
[1:38:09] | All down, quick as you like. | 大家都抓紧时间下车 |
[1:38:34] | How many brothers and sisters do you have in Limerick, Tom? | 你在利默里克有多少兄弟姐妹 汤姆 |
[1:38:37] | Enough. Why? | 很多 怎么了 |
[1:38:43] | What are the names of your brothers and sisters? | 你的兄弟姐妹都叫什么名字 |
[1:38:46] | They… | 他们… |
[1:38:51] | On whom do they depend? | 他们靠谁养活 |
[1:38:59] | Your reputation is destroyed. | 你的名声被毁了 |
[1:39:03] | Your profligacy is a beautiful sham. | 你的奢侈放纵都是伪装出来的 |
[1:39:19] | – I can earn money. – It will not be enough. | -我会努力挣钱 -那远远不够 |
[1:39:24] | I will rise. | 我会有出头之日的 |
[1:39:26] | With a High Court Judge as your enemy? | 与高等法院法官为敌 怎么可能有出头之日 |
[1:39:29] | And a penniless wife? | 何况你的妻子身无分文 |
[1:39:31] | God knows how many mouths depending on you? | 天知道有多少人靠你养活 |
[1:39:36] | My sweet, sweet friend, you will sink, | 我亲爱的朋友 你会沉沦 |
[1:39:39] | and we will all sink with you. | 所有人都会跟你一起沉入深渊 |
[1:39:41] | – I will… – Hampshire Flyer. | -我会… -汉普郡专车 |
[1:39:43] | Hampshire Flyer’s leaving in five minutes. | 汉普郡专车五分钟后出发 |
[1:39:50] | No! No, Jane. | 不 不 简 |
[1:39:55] | I will never give you up. | 我永远不会放弃你 |
[1:39:56] | – Tom… – Don’t speak or think. | -汤姆 -别说话 也别多想 |
[1:40:02] | Just love me. Do you love me? | 只要爱我就好 你爱我吗 |
[1:40:07] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:40:10] | But if our love destroys your family, | 但如果我们的爱会毁了你的家庭 |
[1:40:12] | it will destroy itself. | 也会毁了这份爱本身 |
[1:40:14] | – No. – Yes. | -不会的 -会 |
[1:40:17] | In a long, slow degradation of guilt and regret and blame. | 在漫长的愧疚 后悔和自责中毁掉这份爱 |
[1:40:21] | That is nonsense. | 胡说 |
[1:40:26] | Truth. | 是真的 |
[1:40:28] | Made from contradiction. | 这是矛盾中得出的真理 |
[1:40:34] | But it must come with a smile. | 但是我们要微笑地接受这一切 |
[1:40:37] | Or else I shall count it as false | 不然的话 我会认为 |
[1:40:39] | and we shall have had no love at all. | 我们之间根本没有相爱过 |
[1:40:47] | Please. | 求你了 |
[1:40:56] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[1:41:14] | Typical bloody runaway. | 该死的私奔总是这样 |
[1:41:15] | “Will I, won’t I?” | 犹犹豫豫 反反复复 |
[1:41:37] | Miss. Miss. | 小姐 小姐 |
[1:41:44] | All right, off you go. | 好了 出发吧 |
[1:43:07] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[1:43:13] | Where is everyone? | 大家都去哪了 |
[1:43:14] | Looking for you, Miss. Looking everywhere. | 都在找您 小姐 到处找您 |
[1:43:18] | – Thank you, Jenny. – Mr Warren. | -谢谢你 珍妮 -沃伦先生 |
[1:43:24] | Your family tried to keep the matter from the servants, but… | 你的家人本想瞒着仆人 但是 |
[1:43:29] | Where is that blackguard Lefroy? | 那个混蛋勒弗罗伊在哪 |
[1:43:31] | My God, if Henry finds him, he’ll kill him. | 天呐 如果亨利找到他 一定会宰了他 |
[1:43:33] | He won’t find him. | 他找不到的 |
[1:43:36] | If he does, he won’t kill him. | 就算他找到了 也不会拿他怎么样 |
[1:43:40] | There’s no need. | 没必要了 |
[1:43:43] | What happened? | 发生什么事了 |
[1:43:49] | Nothing happened. | 没有发生任何事 |
[1:43:52] | I see. I see. | 我明白了 我明白了 |
[1:44:06] | Jane, | 简 |
[1:44:10] | I may have less personal charm than Lefroy. | 我可能不如勒弗罗伊有魅力 |
[1:44:15] | Superficial charm to some eyes. | 有些人注重皮相 |
[1:44:17] | To others, it is mere affectation, but I… | 有些人看重感情 但我… |
[1:44:21] | – I have no hopes. – Hopes? | -我没有希望了 -希望 |
[1:44:26] | You cannot begin to imagine. | 你简直无法想象 |
[1:44:29] | Thank you for the great honour of your offer, | 谢谢你向我求婚 愿意给我一切 |
[1:44:33] | but are there no other women in Hampshire? | 但汉普郡难道就没有别的女人了吗 |
[1:44:57] | It was you who wrote the judge. | 那封信是你写给法官的 |
[1:45:04] | You must consider how much I have always loved you. | 请你务必明白一直以来我有多么爱你 |
[1:45:56] | Well. | 好了 |
[1:46:02] | You came back to us. | 你又回到我们身边了 |
[1:46:32] | Leave it. | 走开 |
[1:46:37] | Mr.Austen, I must inform you | 奥斯汀先生 我必须通知您 |
[1:46:40] | that I shall not attend service today. | 我今天是不会参加布道的 |
[1:46:42] | – Not in the presence of this young woman. – Indeed… | -只要这位女士在场我就不会进去 -好的 |
[1:46:44] | – If I must speak plainly… – Aunt. | -恕我直言… -姨妈 |
[1:46:47] | I believe your youngest daughter has been on a journey. | 我听说您的小女儿出了一趟远门 |
[1:46:51] | Her Ladyship considers travel a crime? | 夫人您觉得远行也是违法的吗 |
[1:46:53] | Unsanctioned travel. | 未经准许的远行就是 |
[1:46:56] | Furthermore, be aware that my nephew has withdrawn his addresses | 而且 请知悉 我外甥已经撤回了他的求婚 |
[1:47:00] | to someone without family, fortune, importance | 他无法与一个没有家族 财富和价值的女人结婚 |
[1:47:05] | and fatally tainted by suspicion. | 更何况这个女人名声还有问题 |
[1:47:08] | – Oh, she has family, madam. – Indeed she has. | -她有家人的 夫人 -是的 |
[1:47:15] | Importance may depend upon other matters | 夫人可能无法理解 |
[1:47:17] | than Your Ladyship can conceive. | 价值的衡量标准 |
[1:47:20] | As to fortune, a young woman might depend upon herself. | 至于财富 一位年轻的女士完全可以自力更生 |
[1:47:26] | An interesting notion, Miss Austen. | 您的观点很有趣 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:47:36] | Oblige me a walk along the river to enlarge upon the topic. | 跟我去河边走走 顺便讨论一下这个话题 |
[1:47:42] | Wisley? | 韦斯利 |
[1:47:51] | I am sorry if my conduct has disappointed you, Mr Wisley. | 如果我的行为让你失望了 很抱歉 韦斯利先生 |
[1:47:57] | It seems you cannot bring yourself to marry without affection. | 看起来你似乎不能接受没有爱情的婚姻 |
[1:48:02] | Or even with it. | 甚至有爱情也不行 |
[1:48:05] | I respect you for that | 我尊重你这个想法 |
[1:48:07] | and share your opinion. | 也支持你的观点 |
[1:48:08] | Neither can I. | 我也做不到 |
[1:48:12] | I’d always hoped to win your love in time, | 我一直希望总有一天可以收获你的爱 |
[1:48:15] | but I am vain enough to want to be loved for myself | 但我真是过于自负 竟希望女人能爱我本身 |
[1:48:17] | rather than my money. | 而不是我的财富 |
[1:48:19] | Do we part as friends? | 我们可以做朋友吗 |
[1:48:23] | We do. | 当然 |
[1:48:27] | – So, you will live… – By my pen. Yes. | -那么你以后… -靠写作为生 是的 |
[1:48:34] | Will all your stories have happy endings? | 你的故事都会有美满的结局吗 |
[1:48:38] | My characters will have, | 我笔下的人物 |
[1:48:41] | after a little bit of trouble, | 即使历经磨难 |
[1:48:44] | all that they desire. | 最终都会如愿以偿 |
[1:48:49] | The good do not always come to good ends. | 好人不一定都有好报 |
[1:48:54] | It is a truth universally acknowledged. | 这是一个天下皆知的真理 |
[1:48:59] | “…that a single man in possession of a good fortune | “拥有财富的单身男子 |
[1:49:02] | must be in want of a wife. | 总想娶一位妻子 |
[1:49:07] | However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be | 但当他新搬到某个地方 左邻右舍的居民们 |
[1:49:10] | on his first entering a neighbourhood, | 完全不了解让他的性格品行 |
[1:49:12] | this truth is so well fixed | 这样的事实 |
[1:49:14] | in the minds of the surrounding families, | 在人们的脑海中早已根深蒂固 |
[1:49:18] | that he is considered as the rightful property | 因此人们总是把他当做 |
[1:49:20] | of some one or other of their daughters. | 自己某个女儿的合法财产 |
[1:49:23] | ‘My dear Mr Bennet,’ said his lady to him, one day, | ‘亲爱的班奈特先生’ 有一天 夫人对先生说道 |
[1:49:26] | ‘Have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?’ | ‘你有没有听说奈瑟菲尔德庄园终于被租出去了’ |
[1:49:29] | Mr Bennet replied that he had not. | 班奈特先生回复说他没听说此事 |
[1:49:32] | ‘But it is,’ returned she…” | ‘确实租出去了’ 她说…” |
[1:51:27] | Is it Miss Austen? The Miss Austen? | 你是奥斯汀小姐吗 那个有名的奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:51:30] | No, Madam. That courtesy, according to the customs of precedence, | 不是的 女士 按照长幼尊称的顺序 |
[1:51:33] | belongs to my elder sister. | 我姐姐才是奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:51:35] | Miss Jane Austen, the authoress of Pride and Prejudice? | 简·奥斯汀小姐 《傲慢与偏见》的作者 |
[1:51:39] | My sister wishes to remain anonymous, | 我妹妹不希望公开身份 |
[1:51:41] | but your kind regard is much appreciated. | 但是谢谢你的问候 |
[1:51:43] | – Thank you. – Thank you. | -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[1:52:19] | Please, come through. | 麻烦 借过一下 |
[1:52:22] | I shall never forgive Henry for this. | 我绝对不会原谅亨利的 |
[1:52:24] | Yes, you will. We always forgive him for everything. | 你会的 我们总是会原谅他的一切所为 |
[1:52:32] | Jane, an old friend. | 简 来见见老朋友 |
[1:52:35] | Late as ever. | 总是喜欢迟到 |
[1:52:38] | Madame le Comtesse, Miss Austen. | 伯爵夫人 奥斯汀小姐 |
[1:52:43] | Mr Lefroy. | 勒弗罗伊先生 |
[1:52:53] | Please allow me to introduce to you | 请允许我向你介绍 |
[1:52:55] | your most avid of admirers, my daughter, Miss Lefroy. | 你最诚挚的崇拜者 小女勒弗罗伊小姐 |
[1:53:01] | Miss Austen, what a pleasure to meet you. | 奥斯汀小姐 很荣幸见到您 |
[1:53:07] | Will you read for us this evening? | 您今晚会念一段作品中的章节吗 |
[1:53:09] | Ah, well, you see, my sister never reads. | 是这样的 我妹妹从来不念她的作品 |
[1:53:12] | Otherwise, how else is she supposed to remain anonymous? | 否则的话 她就不能隐藏无名的身份了 |
[1:53:15] | – But… – Jane. | -但是… -简 |
[1:53:25] | I will make an exception if my new friend wishes it. | 如果我的新朋友想听的话 我可以破一次例 |
[1:53:32] | Come, sit by me. | 来吧 坐在我身边 |
[1:53:45] | She is lovely, Tom. | 她真可爱 汤姆 |
[1:53:49] | “She began now to comprehend that | “此刻她开始明白 |
[1:53:52] | he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents, | 无论是性情还是才华 他都是 |
[1:53:56] | would most suit her. | 最适合她的人 |
[1:53:59] | His understanding and temper, though unlike her own, | 尽管他对事情的见解和脾气与她不尽相同 |
[1:54:03] | would have answered all her wishes. | 但却可以满足她的愿望 |
[1:54:08] | It was an union that must have been to the advantage of both. | 他们的结合对双方都有好处 |
[1:54:12] | By her ease and liveliness, | 她安逸活泼 |
[1:54:14] | His mind might have been softened, his manners improved, | 可以柔软他的内心 让他的言行更谦和有礼 |
[1:54:18] | And from his judgment, information and knowledge of the world, | 而他的正直阅达 博闻强识 |
[1:54:24] | She must have received benefit of greater importance. | 也会让她大受裨益 |
[1:54:29] | But no such happy marriage | 可是这幸福的婚姻已无法实现 |
[1:54:31] | could now teach the admiring multitude | 天下千千万万互相倾慕的恋人们 |
[1:54:35] | what connubial felicity really was.” | 也因此错过了一个借鉴的榜样” |
[1:55:12] | 在其短暂的一生中(1775–1817) 简·奥斯汀写出了英语文学中最出色的六部小说 | |
[1:55:19] | 汤姆·勒弗罗伊成为了一名出色的律师 最后成了爱尔兰首席大法官 |