| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:20] | Yes, yes, I see you. Get in. Get in. | 行了行了 看见你了 快上车吧 | 
| [00:28] | Your mother’s having another one of her episodes. | 你妈又在上演悲伤的独角戏了 | 
| [00:30] | Last night, she went to see A Doll’s House | 昨天晚上她和几个闺蜜 | 
| [00:32] | with a couple girlfriends, and now she has ideas. | 去看了《玩偶之家》 今天就来了主意 | 
| [00:35] | I emerged from my sanctum, this afternoon, | 我下午从内室出来的时候 | 
| [00:36] | to discover that not only had she not made me lunch, | 发现她不仅没有给我做午饭 | 
| [00:39] | which is a meal I need in order to live, | 那可是我续命的食粮 | 
| [00:41] | but she’d furthermore, | 更过分的是 | 
| [00:42] | locked herself in the bedroom to weep… loudly. | 她把自己锁在卧室里 嚎啕大哭 | 
| [00:45] | Now, it’s one thing for a woman to weep, | 女人哭是一回事 | 
| [00:47] | but when they do it at such | 但当她们的哭声 | 
| [00:48] | a volume you can hear it through the door, | 大到隔着门都能听见的时候 | 
| [00:50] | then you know they’re doing it just for the attention. | 你就知道她们这么做只是为了引起注意 | 
| [00:53] | Anyway, I was able to cobble together a sandwich for myself, | 总之 我最后成功地给自己搞了个三明治 | 
| [00:56] | so, I’m the real hero of the story. | 所以我才是真正的主人公 | 
| [01:02] | It was a couple hours later | 几个小时后 | 
| [01:03] | when I realized I was on a good run with my novel. | 我意识到自己的小说写得太顺手了 | 
| [01:06] | I had this really interesting | 我文思如泉涌 | 
| [01:07] | sentence that kept going for pages and pages, | 一个妙句连着写了好几页 | 
| [01:09] | and I thought about how rare | 我就想今天难得 | 
| [01:11] | it is to really get in the groove like that. | 状态能这么好 | 
| [01:13] | How, most days, I can’t concentrate | 平常我是多么的难以集中 | 
| [01:15] | because my idiot child is blasting the television, | 因为我的蠢儿子总是把电视开得巨大声 | 
| [01:17] | and it suddenly dawned on me; hot cock on a rock, | 突然我意识到 乖乖啊 | 
| [01:20] | she never even picked up the little noise and snot factory! | 她都没去接那个鼻涕虫烦人精 | 
| [01:26] | So, here I am, being your mother, | 所以 我来了 做你的好妈妈 | 
| [01:29] | which I know is giving you | 我知道这会让你 | 
| [01:31] | all sorts of mixed-up ideas about gender, | 对性别认知产生混乱的想法 | 
| [01:33] | while your brain is still loose and stupid. | 特别是你的脑子还缺根弦少根筋的 | 
| [01:35] | Just remember, | 记住 | 
| [01:36] | if you become a queer later in life, this isn’t my fault! | 如果你将来成了基佬 并不是我的错 | 
| [01:39] | Don’t you sing no songs in your | 不许你在夜店里 | 
| [01:41] | nightclub act called, “My Daddy was My Mommy,” | 演出时唱什么”爹地就是妈咪”的破歌 | 
| [01:43] | while gazing longingly at a tangled string of pearls. | 同时眼巴巴地望着一串缠在一块的珍珠项链 | 
| [01:46] | Pearls are for ladies, BoJack. | 珍珠是女人戴的东西 波杰克 | 
| [01:49] | Pearls are for ladies. | 珍珠是女人的东西 | 
| [01:52] | You know Sunday is my writing day. | 你知道周日是我的写作日 | 
| [01:54] | Sundays are the one day that are just for me and my craft, | 周日是我唯一可以和我的作品独处的日子 | 
| [01:58] | and still, you and the black hole that birthed you | 就这样 你和你那个黑洞般的妈 | 
| [02:00] | conspire to ruin it for me. | 还要串通一气毁了它 | 
| [02:02] | What am I supposed to do now? Just go back to writing? | 现在我该怎么办 回去继续写吗 | 
| [02:04] | I’m out of the zone now, the whole day’s shot! | 我已经完全没状态了 这一天全毁了 | 
| [02:07] | All because of you and that brittle wisp of a woman | 都是因为你和那个哭哭啼啼的女人 | 
| [02:09] | you made the mistake of making your mother. | 你就不该让她成为你妈 | 
| [02:14] | No. It’s not her fault. | 不 这不是她的错 | 
| [02:15] | She’s doing the best she can, after all. | 毕竟她已经尽力了 | 
| [02:17] | It’s just that… you can’t depend on women. | 只是 你不能指望女人 | 
| [02:20] | You can’t depend on anyone. | 你不能指望任何人 | 
| [02:22] | Sooner or later, you need to learn | 你迟早会明白的 | 
| [02:23] | that no one else is gonna take care of you. | 没人会照顾你 | 
| [02:25] | That’s what I learned when I had to make my own sandwich. | 我在给自己做三明治的时候领悟了这个道理 | 
| [02:28] | You can’t rely on other people, BoJack. | 你不能依靠别人 波杰克 | 
| [02:30] | It’s good for you to know that. | 现在知道对你有好处 | 
| [02:32] | And she’s a good mother for teaching you that. | 她能教会你这点说明还是个好妈妈 | 
| [02:34] | You’ve got a head start on most kids. | 比起其他孩子 你已经赢在了起跑线上 | 
| [02:37] | You’re actually very lucky. | 你其实很幸运 | 
| [02:43] | Thaaaaank youuuuu? | 谢谢呢 | 
| [03:41] | So, I stopped at a Jack in the Box, on the way here, | 所以来的路上我顺道去了玩偶匣 | 
| [03:44] | and the girl behind the counter said, | 店里的女服务生对我说 | 
| [03:46] | “Hiya! Are you having an awesome day?” | 你好呀 你今天是不是过得很棒 | 
| [03:48] | Not, “How are you doing today?” | 不是那种 你今天过得怎么样 | 
| [03:50] | No. “Are you having an awesome day?” | 而是充满期待 你今天是不是过得很棒 | 
| [03:52] | Which is pretty shitty because | 问得特别的矫情 | 
| [03:54] | it puts the onus on me to disagree with her, | 好像我不同意她就是我的责任 | 
| [03:56] | like if I’m not having an “Awesome day,” | 如果我没有过得”棒棒哒” | 
| [03:58] | Suddenly I’m the negative one. | 突然间我就充满负能量 | 
| [04:00] | Usually, when people ask how I’m doing, | 通常人们问我过得怎么样 | 
| [04:02] | the real answer is I’m doing shitty, | 真相是我过得很糟糕 | 
| [04:04] | but I can’t say I’m doing shitty | 但我不能这么说 | 
| [04:05] | because I don’t have a good reason to be doing shitty. | 因为我没有正当的理由过得很糟 | 
| [04:07] | So if I say, “I’m doing shitty,” | 如果我说 糟心透了 | 
| [04:09] | Then they say, “Why? What’s wrong?” | 他们就会问 为什么 出什么事了 | 
| [04:10] | And I have to be like, “I don’t know, all of it?” | 我就得回 不知道 全都不顺心吧 | 
| [04:13] | So instead, when people ask how I’m doing, | 所以 当人们问我过得怎么样 | 
| [04:15] | I usually say, “I am doing so great.” | 我通常都说 过得好极了 | 
| [04:18] | But when this girl at the Jack in the Box | 但当玩偶匣的这个女孩 | 
| [04:20] | asked me if I was having an awesome day, | 问我是不是过得很好时 | 
| [04:22] | I thought, well, today I’m actually allowed to feel shitty, | 我想 今天我可以过得很糟糕 | 
| [04:24] | today I have a good reason, | 因为我有合适的理由 | 
| [04:26] | so I said to her, “Well, my mom died.” | 于是我对她说 我妈妈过世了 | 
| [04:28] | And she immediately burst into tears. | 然后她突然泪如泉涌 | 
| [04:30] | So, now I have to comfort her, which is annoying, | 我还得反过来安慰她 真是烦死了 | 
| [04:33] | and meanwhile, there’s a line of people forming behind me, | 同时 我后面还排着一堆人 | 
| [04:36] | who are all giving me these real judgy looks | 用批判的目光瞪着我 | 
| [04:38] | because I made the Jack in the Box girl cry. | 因为我把快餐店的女服务生说哭了 | 
| [04:39] | And she’s bawling, and she’s saying, “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” | 她放声大哭 嘴里说着”对不起 对不起” | 
| [04:42] | and I’m like, “It’s fine. It’s fine. | 我就安慰 没关系 没关系 | 
| [04:44] | I mean, it’s not fine, but, you know, it’s… fine. | 我是说 并不是很好 就是没事 | 
| [04:47] | And I would like to order a Double Jack Meal, | 我想点一份双层杰克堡套餐 | 
| [04:49] | and I’ve kinda got somewhere to be, | 我还得去别的地方 | 
| [04:51] | so maybe less with the crying and more with the frying, huh?” | 所以能不能擦干泪水 挥洒汗水做汉堡 | 
| [04:54] | And the girl apologizes, again, | 然后女孩又道了一次歉 | 
| [04:56] | and she offers me a free churro with my meal. | 她在我的套餐里加了根免费的油条 | 
| [04:59] | And as I’m leaving, I think, “I just got a free churro | 离开的时候我想 我吃了根免费的油条 | 
| [05:02] | because my mom died.” | 就因为我母亲去世了 | 
| [05:04] | No one ever tells you when your mom dies, you get a free churro. | 没人说过 妈妈过世后可以吃到免费的油条 | 
| [05:11] | Anyway, I’m sorry, | 总而言之 我很抱歉 | 
| [05:12] | that’s not part of the… All right. | 本来没打算 好吧 | 
| [05:14] | Okay, here we go. Let’s do this. | 好吧 重新来 正式开始 | 
| [05:16] | Here I am, BoJack Horseman, doing a eulogy, let’s go. | 马男波杰克正在致悼词 开始吧 | 
| [05:19] | Hey, piano man, can I get like a, like an organ flourish? | 钢琴小哥 能不能给我来段管风琴华彩 | 
| [05:24] | Nicely done. You know, I was a little worried | 很好 我本来还担心 | 
| [05:26] | I wouldn’t have the right accompaniment today. | 今天会没有合适的伴奏 | 
| [05:28] | I guess it’s a good thing my mom was an organ donor! | 我想这就是我母亲作为器官捐献者的好处 | 
| [05:32] | What happened to the organ? | 怎么不是管风琴 | 
| [05:34] | Why don’t you leave the comedy to the professionals? | 把喜剧效果留给专业人士来吧 | 
| [05:37] | Okay? This is a funeral, sir, for my mother. | 好吗 这是我母亲的葬礼 先生 | 
| [05:38] | Can you show a little respect? | 能否表现出一点尊重 | 
| [05:42] | I’ll take it. | 就这样吧 | 
| [05:43] | Beatrice Horseman, who was she? What was her deal? | 马男碧翠斯 她是谁 一生是怎样的 | 
| [05:46] | Well, she was a horse. | 首先 她是一匹马 | 
| [05:47] | Uh, she was born in 1938. She died in 2018. | 她生于1938年 死于2018年 | 
| [05:50] | One time, she went to a parade, | 有一次 她去参加了一场游行 | 
| [05:52] | and one time, she smoked an entire cigarette in one long inhale. | 还有一次 她一口气抽完了一整支烟 | 
| [05:55] | I watched her do it. | 我亲眼看到的 | 
| [05:56] | Truly a remarkable woman. | 真是个不可思议的女人 | 
| [06:01] | Lived a full life, that lady. | 这个女人度过了完满的一生 | 
| [06:03] | Just, all the way to the end, which is, uh, now, I guess. | 直到人生尽头 大概就是现在吧 | 
| [06:08] | Really makes you think, though, huh? | 是不是很引人深思 | 
| [06:10] | Life, right? | 这就是人生 | 
| [06:11] | Goes by, stuff happens. Then you die. | 时光匆匆 世事无常 奔向死亡 | 
| [06:15] | Well, that’s my time, you’ve been great! | 我到点了 你们听得好认真 | 
| [06:17] | Tip your waitress! | 记得给服务员小费 | 
| [06:17] | No, I’m just kidding around, there’s no waitress. | 我开玩笑的 这里没有服务员 | 
| [06:19] | But seriously that’s all I have to say about my mother. | 但说真的 关于我妈我就说这些 | 
| [06:21] | No point beating a dead horse, right? | 没必要说死人的坏话不是吗 | 
| [06:23] | So… Now what? I don’t know, Mom, you got any ideas? | 现在怎么办 我不知道 妈你有主意吗 | 
| [06:29] | Anything? | 有吗 | 
| [06:30] | Mom? | 妈 | 
| [06:31] | No? | 没有吗 | 
| [06:32] | Nothing to contribute? | 没什么想说的吗 | 
| [06:34] | Knock once if you’re proud of me. | 要是为我骄傲就敲一下棺材板 | 
| [06:37] | Can I just say how amazing it is to be in a room with my mother, | 我能说 能和我妈共处一室说个不停 | 
| [06:40] | and I can just talk without | 她不会让我闭嘴 | 
| [06:41] | her telling me to shut up and make her a drink? | 去给她倒酒 是多幸福的一件事吗 | 
| [06:44] | Hey, Mom. Knock once if you think I should shut up. | 妈 想让我闭嘴就敲一下棺材板 | 
| [06:46] | No? You sure? | 不用吗 你确定 | 
| [06:48] | I mean, I don’t want to embarrass you, | 我可不想让你难堪 | 
| [06:49] | by making this eulogy into a me-logy, | 这悼词是歌颂你的 不是歌颂我的 | 
| [06:52] | so, seriously, if you wanted me to sit down | 所以说真的 如果你想让我坐下 | 
| [06:54] | and let someone else talk, just knock. I will not be offended. | 让别人来讲话 就敲一下 我不会生气的 | 
| [06:57] | No? Your funeral. | 不用吗 你的葬礼你说了算 | 
| [06:59] | Sorry about the closed casket, by the way. | 话说 抱歉把你棺材盖合上了 | 
| [07:01] | She wanted an open casket, | 她想要敞着棺材盖的 | 
| [07:03] | but, you know, she’s dead now, so who cares what she wanted? | 不过现在她死了 谁在乎她怎么想 | 
| [07:06] | No, that sounds bad. I’m sorry. | 不 这话可不好听 抱歉 | 
| [07:07] | I think that if she could’ve seen what she looked like dead, | 我想要是她能看到自己死后的样子 | 
| [07:11] | she’d agree it’s better this way. She looked like this. | 她也会同意这样更好 她死相可糟了 | 
| [07:17] | Kinda like a pissed-off toy dinosaur. | 有点像气急败坏的恐龙玩偶 | 
| [07:19] | The coroner couldn’t get her eyes closed. | 入殓师没法让她合上眼睛 | 
| [07:21] | So, now her face is forever frozen | 所以现在她的脸永远都是 | 
| [07:22] | in a mask of tremendous horror and anguish. | 一副极度可怕和痛苦的表情 | 
| [07:25] | Or as my mom called it, Tuesday! | 或者按我妈的说法 周二的表情 | 
| [07:28] | Tuesday! My mom called it Tuesday. | 周二 我妈称之为周二 | 
| [07:32] | Hey, Mom, what did you think of that joke? You like that? | 妈 你觉得这个笑话怎么样 你喜欢吗 | 
| [07:36] | You never did care for my comedy. | 你从来都不在乎我演的喜剧 | 
| [07:39] | Here’s a story. | 讲个故事 | 
| [07:41] | When I was a teenager, | 我十几岁时 | 
| [07:42] | I performed a comedy routine for my high school talent show. | 我在高中天才秀上表演了一出喜剧 | 
| [07:46] | There was this cool jacket that I wanted to wear | 有一件很帅的外套 我很想穿 | 
| [07:48] | because it would make me look like Albert Brooks. | 因为穿上它我就像艾伯特·布鲁克斯 | 
| [07:50] | For months, I saved up for this jacket, | 我为那件外套存了几个月的钱 | 
| [07:52] | but when I finally had enough, | 但等我终于存够了钱 | 
| [07:53] | I went to the store and it was gone. | 我走进商店 那外套却不见了 | 
| [07:55] | They had just sold it to someone else. | 他们刚刚卖给别人了 | 
| [07:57] | So, I went home and I told my mother. | 然后我回家告诉了我妈 | 
| [07:58] | She said, “Let that be a lesson. | 她说 “算是给你个教训 | 
| [08:00] | That’s the good that comes from wanting things.” | 这就是心存期望的下场” | 
| [08:02] | She was really good at dispensing life lessons, | 她很擅长传授人生哲学 | 
| [08:04] | that always seemed to circle back to everything being my fault. | 似乎所有的不幸到头来都是我的错 | 
| [08:08] | But then, on the day of the talent show, | 但那之后 在演出那天 | 
| [08:10] | my mother had a surprise for me. | 我妈给了我一个惊喜 | 
| [08:12] | She had bought me the jacket. | 她给我买了那件外套 | 
| [08:13] | Even though she didn’t know how to say it, | 虽然她不知道如何表达 | 
| [08:15] | I knew this meant that she loved me. | 我知道这意味着她爱我 | 
| [08:18] | Now, that’s a good story about my mother. | 这才是有关我妈的好故事 | 
| [08:20] | It’s not true, but it’s a good story, right? | 这不是真的 但是个好故事 不是吗 | 
| [08:22] | I stole it from an episode of Maude I saw when I was a kid, | 我从小时候看过的一集《穆德》里抄来的 | 
| [08:25] | where she talks about her father. | 戏里主角在说她爸爸的故事 | 
| [08:27] | I remember when I saw it, thinking that’s the kind of story | 我还记得我看到这一幕时就想 这才是 | 
| [08:29] | I want to tell about my parents when they die. | 那种我想在父母葬礼上讲述的故事 | 
| [08:32] | But I don’t have any stories like that. | 但我没有这样的故事可讲 | 
| [08:34] | All I know about being good | 所有让我成为一个好人的事 | 
| [08:35] | I learned from TV. | 都是从电视上学来的 | 
| [08:37] | And in TV, flawed characters | 而在电视上 有缺陷的角色 | 
| [08:39] | are constantly showing people they care | 总是用这种惊人的善举 | 
| [08:40] | with these surprising grand gestures. | 来告诉别人自己在乎他们 | 
| [08:42] | And I think that part of me still believes that’s what love is. | 而我觉得我内心中仍然相信这就是爱的真义 | 
| [08:46] | But in real life, the big gesture isn’t enough. | 但在现实生活中 善举远远不够 | 
| [08:49] | You need to be consistent, you need to be dependably good. | 你得从始至终的好 无可置疑的好 | 
| [08:51] | You can’t just screw everything up, | 你不能搞砸了所有事 | 
| [08:53] | and then take a boat out into the ocean | 再驾着一条小船出海 | 
| [08:54] | to save your best friend, | 去救你的挚友 | 
| [08:55] | or solve a mystery, and fly to Kansas. | 或是解开一桩谜案 就飞往堪萨斯 | 
| [08:57] | You need to do it every day, which is so… hard. | 你必须时时刻刻都当个好人 这真是太难了 | 
| [09:02] | When you’re a kid, you convince yourself | 小时候 你会对自己说 | 
| [09:04] | that maybe the grand gesture could be enough. | 或许给你点善举也就够了 | 
| [09:06] | That even though your parents aren’t what you need them to be, | 虽然你的父母不是你所希望的样子 | 
| [09:09] | over and over and over again, | 一次又一次辜负你 | 
| [09:11] | at any moment they might surprise you, | 但偶尔 他们可能也会给你惊喜 | 
| [09:13] | with something… wonderful. | 让你体会美好的瞬间 | 
| [09:15] | I kept waiting for that, the proof | 我一直在等待这一刻 等某一刻 | 
| [09:17] | that even though my mother was a hard woman, | 来证明 虽然我妈是个铁石心肠的女人 | 
| [09:19] | deep down, she loved me and cared about me | 但在内心深处 她是爱我 关心我的 | 
| [09:22] | and wanted me to know | 并且她想让我知道 | 
| [09:24] | that I made her life a little bit brighter. | 我给她的生活带来了一丝光亮 | 
| [09:26] | Even now, I find myself waiting. | 就算是现在 我发现我还是在等 | 
| [09:30] | Hey, Mom, knock once if you love me and care about me, | 妈 如果你爱我 关心我 想告诉我 | 
| [09:32] | and want me to know I made your life a little bit brighter. | 我给你的生活带来了一丝光亮 就敲一下 | 
| [09:37] | My mother did not go gentle into that good night. | 我妈没有”温顺地走进那良宵” | 
| [09:41] | She went clawing and fighting and thrashing, | 她死前奋力挣扎 抓挠蹬踹 | 
| [09:43] | hence the face. | 所以才一副惨相 | 
| [09:47] | If you’d seen her, | 如果你见过她的死相 | 
| [09:48] | I swear to God the only thing you’d be thinking about right now | 我对天发誓 现在你们唯一会想的 | 
| [09:50] | is that I am nailing this impression. | 就是我的形容真是贴切之至 | 
| [09:55] | I was in the hospital with her those last moments, | 在生命的最后时日 我在医院里陪她 | 
| [09:57] | and they were truly horrifying, | 那段时间真是让人毛骨悚然 | 
| [09:59] | full of nonsensical screams and cries, | 充满了荒谬的尖叫和呐喊 | 
| [10:01] | but there was this moment, this one instant of strange calm, | 但有那么一刻 很奇怪 她平静了好一会 | 
| [10:05] | where she looked in my direction and said, “I see you.” | 她望向我所在的方向说 “我看到你了” | 
| [10:09] | That’s the last thing she said to me. | 这是她对我说的最后一句话 | 
| [10:10] | “I see you.” | “我看到你了” | 
| [10:12] | Not a statement of judgment or disappointment, | 不是什么批判或者不满 | 
| [10:15] | just acceptance and the simple recognition | 只是简单地接受和承认 | 
| [10:17] | of another person in a room. | 屋子里有另一个人 | 
| [10:19] | “Hello, there. You are a person. And I see you.” | “你好 你是个人 我看到你了” | 
| [10:24] | Let me tell you, | 我告诉你们 | 
| [10:25] | it’s a weird thing to feel at 54 years old, | 54岁时才感到这辈子第一次 | 
| [10:27] | that for the first time in your life your mother sees you. | 你妈终于正视你了 这真的很奇怪 | 
| [10:29] | It’s an odd realization that it’s the thing you’ve been missing, | 奇怪的是你意识到原来这就是你一直所缺少的 | 
| [10:32] | the only thing you wanted all along, to be seen. | 一直以来你想要只是被看见 | 
| [10:35] | And it doesn’t feel like a relief, to finally be seen. | 而最后你被看见了 并没有感觉解脱 | 
| [10:37] | It feels mean, like, | 而是感觉很糟糕 | 
| [10:39] | “Oh, it turns out that you knew what I wanted, | “原来你早就知道我想要什么 | 
| [10:41] | and you waited until the very last moment to give it to me.” | 而你却等到最后一刻才给我” | 
| [10:44] | I was prepared for more cruelty. | 我本已准备好接受更残忍的事实 | 
| [10:46] | I was sure that she would get in one final zinger, | 我原想着她一定会最后数落我一番 | 
| [10:48] | about how I let her down, and about how I was fat and stupid, | 说我如何让她失望 我又肥又蠢 | 
| [10:52] | and too tall to be an effective Lindy-hopper. | 个子太高跳不了林迪舞 | 
| [10:54] | How I was needy and a burden and an embarrassment. | 我太粘人 是个负担 让她难堪 | 
| [10:58] | All that I was ready for. | 我本准备好任她奚落 | 
| [10:59] | I was not ready for “I see you.” | 我没准备好听她说”我看见你了” | 
| [11:03] | Only my mother would be lousy enough to swipe me | 只有我妈会这么差劲 在临死前 | 
| [11:05] | with a moment of connection on her way out. | 用一瞬的温情来摧毁我 | 
| [11:08] | But maybe I’m giving her too much credit. | 或许是我把她说得太好了 | 
| [11:10] | Maybe it wasn’t about connection. | 或许这和温情无关 | 
| [11:12] | Maybe it was a… Maybe it was an “I see you,” | 或许这只是 或许这句”我看见你了” | 
| [11:16] | Like, “I see you.” | 是说”被我发现了” | 
| [11:17] | Like, “You might have the rest of the world fooled, | 就像是”或许你能骗得了全世界 | 
| [11:19] | but I know exactly who you are.” | 但我很清楚你是什么样的人” | 
| [11:21] | That’s more my mom’s speed. | 这才是我妈的作风 | 
| [11:24] | Or maybe she just literally meant “I see you. | 又或许她的意思就是”我看见你了 | 
| [11:27] | You are an object that has entered my field of vision.” | 你是一个进入了我的视野的东西” | 
| [11:31] | She was out of it at the end, so maybe it’s dumb | 她最后已经神志不清了 所以或许 | 
| [11:33] | to try to attribute it to anything. | 不该试图解读她的意图 | 
| [11:36] | Back in the 90s, | 回想九十年代 | 
| [11:36] | I was in a very famous TV Show called Horsin’ Around. | 我参演了一部非常火的电视剧《胡闹的小马》 | 
| [11:41] | Please hold your applause. | 请不要鼓掌 | 
| [11:42] | And I remember one time, a fan asked me, | 我记得有一次 一个粉丝问我 | 
| [11:44] | “Hey, um, you know that episode | “你记得有一集 | 
| [11:46] | where the horse has to give Ethan a pep talk, | 伊桑发现他暗恋的人邀请他跳舞 | 
| [11:48] | after Ethan finds out his crush only asked him to the dance | 只是因为她和朋友在进行很蠢的约会比赛 | 
| [11:51] | because her friends were having a dorkiest date contest? | 所以小马不得不鼓励伊桑吗 | 
| [11:54] | In all the shots of the horse, | 小马所有的镜头中 | 
| [11:56] | you can see a paper coffee cup on the kitchen counter, | 你都能在厨房的柜台上看见一个纸咖啡杯 | 
| [11:59] | but in the shots of Ethan, the coffee cup’s missing. | 但是在伊桑的镜头中 咖啡杯不见了 | 
| [12:02] | Was that because the show was making a statement, | 那是不是因为那部剧想表达一种观点 | 
| [12:04] | about the fluctuant subjectivity of memory | 主观记忆是波动的 | 
| [12:07] | and how even two people can experience the same moment | 以及两个人对同一时刻居然可以 | 
| [12:10] | in entirely different ways? | 有两种完全不同的感受 | 
| [12:12] | And I didn’t have the heart to be, like, | 我不忍心说出口 | 
| [12:15] | “No, man, | “不是的 | 
| [12:16] | some crew guy just left their coffee cup in the shot.” | 那是某个工作人员把自己的咖啡杯落在片场了” | 
| [12:19] | So instead, I was, like… “Yeah.” | 所以我说”是吧” | 
| [12:23] | And maybe this is like that coffee cup. | 或许这就像那个咖啡杯 | 
| [12:25] | Maybe, we’re dumb to try | 或许试图给每件小事 | 
| [12:27] | to pin significance onto every little thing. | 都冠以一个冠冕堂皇的意义很愚蠢 | 
| [12:29] | Maybe, when someone says, | 或许当有人说 | 
| [12:31] | “I see you,” it just means, “I see you.” | “我看见你了” 只是”看见你了”的意思 | 
| [12:34] | Then again, it’s possible she wasn’t even talking to me. | 再说了 很有可能她都不是在跟我说话 | 
| [12:37] | Because, if I’m being honest, she wasn’t really looking at me, | 因为 老实说 那时她并没有看着我 | 
| [12:40] | she was looking past me. There was nobody else in the room. | 她在看着我身后的某处 房间里没有别人了 | 
| [12:42] | I think she was talking to me, but, honestly, | 我觉得她在跟我说话 但其实 | 
| [12:44] | she was so far gone at that point, who knows what she was seeing. | 她那时已经进入弥留之际 谁知道她看什么 | 
| [12:47] | Who were you talking to, Mom? | 你在跟谁说话 妈 | 
| [12:50] | Not saying, huh? Staying mum? | 不说话吗 继续保持沉默[妈] | 
| [12:53] | No rimshot there? | 此处没有击鼓吗 | 
| [12:54] | God, whatever I’m paying you, it’s too much. | 天 不管我付了你多少钱 都太多了 | 
| [12:57] | Maybe, she saw my dad. | 或许 她看见了我爸 | 
| [12:59] | My dad died about ten years ago | 我爸大约十年前过的世 | 
| [13:00] | of injuries he sustained during a duel. | 因为他在决斗中受了伤 | 
| [13:03] | When your father dies, you ask yourself a lot of questions. | 当你的父亲过世时 你会问自己很多问题 | 
| [13:06] | Questions like, “Wait, did you say he died in a duel?” | 比如 “等下 你是说他死于决斗” | 
| [13:08] | and “Who dies in a duel?” | “谁会死于决斗” | 
| [13:11] | The whole thing was so stupid. | 整件事都太蠢了 | 
| [13:12] | Dad spent his entire life writing this book, | 我爸一生都在写书 | 
| [13:15] | but he couldn’t get any stores to carry it, | 但没有一家店卖这本书 | 
| [13:17] | or any newspapers to review it. | 也没有一张报纸评价了这本书 | 
| [13:19] | Finally, I guess this one | 终于有了一家报社 | 
| [13:20] | newspaper thought he was pretty hilarious, | 我猜他们是觉得他很搞笑 | 
| [13:22] | because they ran a review and tore him to shreds. | 因为他们写了一篇评论 彻底打垮了他 | 
| [13:25] | So, my father, ever the Proud Mary, | 所以 我的父亲 曾经的骄傲玛丽 | 
| [13:26] | decided he would not stand for this besmirchment of his honor. | 决定再也不能忍受对他名誉的如此诋毁 | 
| [13:29] | He claimed the critic | 他声称这名评论家 | 
| [13:30] | didn’t understand what it meant to be a man, | 不明白作为男人的意义 | 
| [13:33] | so he demanded satisfaction in the form of pistols at dawn. | 所以他要求在凌晨手枪决斗来解决 | 
| [13:36] | He wrote the paper, this letter, | 他给这家报社写下了一封信 | 
| [13:38] | saying anyone who didn’t like his book, | 说任何不喜欢他的书的人 | 
| [13:39] | he would challenge to a duel, anyone in the world. | 他要与其决斗 所有人 | 
| [13:42] | He’d even pay for airfare | 他甚至愿意支付 | 
| [13:43] | to San Francisco and a night in a hotel. | 来旧金山的机票和酒店住宿一晚的费用 | 
| [13:45] | Well, eventually this found its way to some kook in Montana, | 最后这愿望在一些蒙大拿的疯子身上实现了 | 
| [13:47] | who was as batshit as he was and took him up on the offer. | 这些人和他一样疯 接受了他的决斗之请 | 
| [13:50] | They met at Golden Gate Park and agreed: | 他们在金门公园碰面并达成一致 | 
| [13:53] | ten paces, then shoot. | 数到十然后开枪 | 
| [13:54] | But in the middle of the ten paces, | 但在数数的过程中 | 
| [13:56] | Dad turned to ask the guy if | 爸爸转过身问那个人 | 
| [13:58] | he’d actually read the book and what he thought, | 他有没有真的看过这本书和他的观点 | 
| [14:00] | but, not looking where he was going, | 但他没看路 | 
| [14:01] | tripped over an exposed root and bashed his head on a rock. | 被一根暴露在外的树根绊倒 头撞上了一块石头 | 
| [14:06] | I wish I’d known to go to Jack in the Box then. | 真希望我那时知道去玩偶匣 | 
| [14:08] | Maybe I could have gotten a free churro. | 也许能得到一根免费油条 | 
| [14:10] | It would’ve been nice to have something to show | 也算是作为巴特斯科齐·马男的儿子 | 
| [14:11] | for being the son of Butterscotch Horseman. | 能拿出来吹嘘的事迹了 | 
| [14:14] | My darling mother gave the eulogy. | 我亲爱的母亲发表了悼词 | 
| [14:16] | My entire life I never heard | 我这辈子都没听她说过 | 
| [14:18] | her say a kind word to or about my father, | 我父亲半点好话 | 
| [14:21] | but at his funeral she said, | 但在葬礼上她说 | 
| [14:22] | “My husband is dead, and everything is worse now.” | “我的丈夫去世了 现在所有事都更糟了” | 
| [14:27] | “My husband is dead, and everything is worse now.” | “我的丈夫去世了 现在所有事都更糟了” | 
| [14:31] | I don’t know why she said that. | 我不知道她为什么这么说 | 
| [14:32] | Maybe she felt that’s the kind of thing | 或许她觉得葬礼上 | 
| [14:34] | you’re supposed to say at a funeral. | 应该这么说 | 
| [14:35] | Maybe she hoped one day someone would say that about her. | 或许她希望某天有人也会这样评价她 | 
| [14:38] | “My mother is dead, and everything is worse now.” | “我母亲去世了 现在所有事都更糟了” | 
| [14:41] | Or maybe she knew that he had frittered away | 又或许她已经知道了他把所有 | 
| [14:43] | all her inheritance, and replaced it with crippling debt, | 她的遗产都挥霍光了 只留给她沉重的债务 | 
| [14:46] | which is a pretty shitty thing to leave your widow with. | 给自己的遗孀留下这些真的是很渣 | 
| [14:49] | “Bad news, you lost a husband, | “坏消息 你失去了丈夫 | 
| [14:50] | but don’t worry, you also lost the house!” | 不过别担心 你的房子也没了” | 
| [14:52] | Maybe Mom knew she’d have to sell all her fancy jewelry | 或许妈妈已经知道她得变卖所有高级珠宝 | 
| [14:55] | and move into a home. | 搬到一个普通房子中去 | 
| [14:56] | Maybe that’s what she meant by “Everything is worse.” | 或许她说”所有事都更糟了”是这个意思 | 
| [14:58] | Is that what you meant, Mom? | 你是这个意思吗 妈 | 
| [15:00] | I gotta say, I’m really carrying this double act. | 不得不说 我这双簧唱得真是太棒了 | 
| [15:02] | At least with Penn and Teller, | 至少佩恩与特勒这一对 | 
| [15:03] | the quiet one does card tricks. | 不说话的那个还要变纸牌魔术 | 
| [15:05] | Hey, piano man, when I say something funny to my mom, | 弹琴的 我跟我妈讲笑话时 | 
| [15:08] | how about you give me one of those rimshot? | 你给我来两声鼓点怎么样 | 
| [15:10] | Yeah, but not now. | 对 但现在别敲 | 
| [15:11] | When I say something funny. Like, okay. | 等我讲笑话时再敲 比如 | 
| [15:14] | What’s the difference between my mother | 我妈和细菌的破坏性驱 | 
| [15:15] | and a disruptive expulsion of germs? | 有什么区别 | 
| [15:17] | One’s a coughin’ fit and the other fits a coffin! | 一个引起咳嗽 一个躺进棺材[音似] | 
| [15:21] | That’s an example of a funny thing. | 这样才叫讲笑话 | 
| [15:24] | Thank you. Let’s try again. | 谢谢 咱们再试一次 | 
| [15:25] | Hey, Mom. What’s the difference | 妈 我妈和一堆 | 
| [15:26] | between my mother and a bunch of Easter eggs? | 复活节彩蛋有什么区别 | 
| [15:29] | One gets carried in a basket, the other gets buried in a casket! | 一个装进小篮子 另一个埋进小匣子 | 
| [15:33] | Ready for one more? Last one. | 还想再听一个吗 最后一个 | 
| [15:35] | What’s the difference between a first-year lit major | 文学院一年级生和我妈马男碧翠斯 | 
| [15:37] | and my mother, Beatrice Horseman? | 有什么区别呢 | 
| [15:39] | One is decently read, and the other’s a huge bitch! | 一个饱读诗书 另一个就是个贱人大混蛋 | 
| [15:45] | Might have gone a little too far with that one. | 这个笑话可能开的有点过了 | 
| [15:47] | That one might have been a | 对在座各位来说 | 
| [15:48] | little too “My mom’s a huge bitch” for the room. | 说”我妈是个贱人大混蛋”有点过分了 | 
| [15:51] | I’m sorry, Mother. You’re not a huge bitch. | 抱歉 妈妈 你不是个大混蛋 | 
| [15:53] | You were a huge bitch… and now you’re dead. | 你生前是个贱人大混蛋 现在你死了 | 
| [15:58] | You know, the first time | 跟你们说 我第一次 | 
| [15:59] | I ever performed in front of an audience, | 在观众面前进行表演 | 
| [16:01] | it actually was, uh, with my mom. | 其实是和我妈一起的 | 
| [16:03] | She used to put on these shows, | 她从前总会进行演出 | 
| [16:04] | with her supper club in the living room, | 就在她在客厅举办的晚餐舞会上 | 
| [16:06] | and she used to make… | 她会让我… | 
| [16:07] | She used to make me sing “The Lollipop Song.” | 她会让我唱《棒棒糖之歌》 | 
| [16:13] | Those parties, they were really something. | 那些派对真是豪华 | 
| [16:14] | There were skits and magic acts, | 会演滑稽短剧 有魔术表演 | 
| [16:17] | and ethnically insensitive vaudeville routines, | 还有不涉种族问题的歌舞杂耍 | 
| [16:20] | and the big finale was always a dance my mother did. | 而最后总是以我妈的一舞收尾 | 
| [16:24] | She had this beautiful dress | 她有一条漂亮的裙子 | 
| [16:25] | that she only brought out for these parties, | 她只在这些派对上穿出来 | 
| [16:27] | and she did this incredible number. | 她跳过很多次 | 
| [16:29] | It was so beautiful and sad. | 这真是又漂亮又悲哀 | 
| [16:33] | Dad hated the parties. He’d lock himself in the study, | 爸爸讨厌派对 他会把自己所在书房 | 
| [16:36] | and bang on the walls for us to keep it down, | 邦邦锤墙好让我们小点声 | 
| [16:38] | but he always came out to see Mom dance. | 但他总会出来看妈妈跳舞 | 
| [16:42] | He’d linger in the doorway, scotch in hand, | 他会站在门口 手握苏格兰威士忌 | 
| [16:44] | and watch in awe, as this cynical, | 用惊讶的目光看着他娶的这个 | 
| [16:48] | despicable woman he married… took flight. | 愤世嫉俗 卑劣不堪的女人翩然起舞 | 
| [16:52] | And as a child who was completely terrified of both my parents, | 作为一个被我爸妈吓坏了的小孩 | 
| [16:56] | I was always aware that this moment of grace, | 这一刻在我心中的感觉却是那么美好 | 
| [17:00] | it meant something. | 此中定有深意 | 
| [17:02] | We understood each other, in a way. | 某种程度上 我们是互相理解的 | 
| [17:03] | Me and my mom and my dad, as screwed up as we all were, | 我和我妈还有我爸 我们虽然都悲惨不堪 | 
| [17:07] | we did understand each other. | 但确实都相互理解 | 
| [17:09] | My mother, she knew what it’s like to feel your entire life | 我妈妈非常明白她的整个人生仿佛就像 | 
| [17:12] | like you’re drowning with the exception of these moments, | 水慢慢没过头顶般溺水 但这些时刻是例外 | 
| [17:16] | these very rare, brief instances, | 这些非常稀少 短暂的瞬间 | 
| [17:18] | in which you suddenly remember… you can swim. | 此时你突然记起 你是会游泳的 | 
| [17:38] | But, then again, mostly not. | 但是我再次强调 大多数时候不是 | 
| [17:40] | Mostly you’re drowning. | 大多数时候都是溺水状态 | 
| [17:42] | She understood that too. | 她也明白这点 | 
| [17:43] | And she recognized that I understood it. And Dad. | 她也知道我和爸爸也明白这点 | 
| [17:46] | All three of us were drowning, | 我们三人都淹在水里 | 
| [17:47] | and we didn’t know how to save each other, | 我们不知道如何拯救对方 | 
| [17:49] | but there was an understanding | 但我们都明白 | 
| [17:50] | that we were all drowning together. | 我们要一起溺水而亡 | 
| [17:53] | I would like to think that’s what she meant | 在医院里她说”我看到你了”时 | 
| [17:54] | when we were in the hospital and she said, “I see you.” | 我想这就是她想表达的意思 | 
| [17:58] | The weird thing about both your parents being dead | 奇怪的是 当你父母皆亡时 | 
| [18:00] | is it means that you’re next. | 这意味着下一个死的就是你了 | 
| [18:02] | I mean, you know, | 我是说 | 
| [18:02] | obviously it’s not like there’s a wait list for dying. | 当然并不是说死亡还有排队叫号的 | 
| [18:05] | Any one of us could get run over | 任何时候 我们谁都有可能 | 
| [18:06] | by a Snapchatting teen at any moment. | 让一个正自拍的青少年开车撞死 | 
| [18:08] | And you would think that | 你们以为明了这一点 | 
| [18:09] | knowing that would make us more adventurous, | 会让自己显得更具冒险精神 | 
| [18:11] | and kind, and forgiving. | 更加和善宽容 | 
| [18:13] | But it makes us small, and stupid, and petty. | 但这让我们变得渺小愚蠢 微不足道 | 
| [18:18] | I actually had a near-death experience, recently. | 其实我最近就有一次濒死经历 | 
| [18:20] | A stunt went bad and I fell off a building. | 做特技失败了 我摔下了楼顶 | 
| [18:23] | I’m an actor. I do my own stunts. | 我是个演员 亲自上阵演特效 | 
| [18:25] | I’m on this new show Philbert. | 我出演新剧《菲尔伯特》 | 
| [18:27] | I’m Philbert. Star of the show. | 我演菲尔伯特 本剧主演 | 
| [18:29] | It hasn’t come out yet, but it’s already getting Emmy buzz. | 剧还没播出 但艾美奖已经频频来电了 | 
| [18:31] | Oh, speaking of buzz… | 说到这个 | 
| [18:33] | I’m supposed to take two of these every morning, | 我应该每天早晨吃两片这药 | 
| [18:34] | but my days are so screwed up ’cause of the shooting schedule, | 但我的日子因为拍摄日程搞得一团糟 | 
| [18:37] | I don’t even know what morning means anymore. | 我连早晨是什么意思都不知道了 | 
| [18:40] | There’s a joke in there somewhere, | 我这段话里埋了个笑话的 | 
| [18:41] | about a guy who’s been to so many funerals, | 说的是一个人出席了太多次葬礼 | 
| [18:43] | he doesn’t even know what mourning means anymore. | 最后连哀悼是什么意思都不知道了 | 
| [18:46] | Let you guys figure that one out for yourselves. | 你们自己想笑点在哪儿吧 | 
| [18:49] | Anyway, you know what I thought… | 总之 你们知道我摔下大楼 | 
| [18:51] | when I was falling off the building and I went into panic mode? | 进入恐慌模式时 我是怎么想的吗 | 
| [18:54] | The last thing that my | 我愚蠢的大脑 | 
| [18:55] | stupid brain could come up with before I died? | 在死前想到的最后一件事是什么 | 
| [18:59] | “Won’t they be sorry.” | 他们不会难过吗 | 
| [19:01] | Cool thought, brain. | 想得漂亮 大脑 | 
| [19:03] | No, that wasn’t… | 不 这个不是… | 
| [19:04] | Would you just… Dial it back, all right? | 你能不能…重来好吗 | 
| [19:06] | I don’t even know what “They” I wanted to be sorry. | 我都不知道我希望会难过的”他们”都是谁 | 
| [19:09] | My mom, even before she died, could barely remember who I was. | 我妈在死之前几乎都记不得我是谁 | 
| [19:12] | And of course, my dad’s dead. | 而且当然 我爸已经死了 | 
| [19:14] | The last conversation I ever had with him was about his novel. | 我和他最后一次说话谈的是他的小说 | 
| [19:17] | He was so certain this book was his legacy. | 他当时那么坚信 这本书会成就他的传奇 | 
| [19:19] | Maybe he thought it would vindicate him | 或许他以为这本书能证明 | 
| [19:21] | for all the shitty things | 他在这毫无价值的愚蠢一生里 | 
| [19:22] | he ever did in his stupid worthless life. | 做过的所有破事都是对的 | 
| [19:25] | Maybe it did. I don’t know. I never read it. | 或许是吧 我也不知道 我从没读过 | 
| [19:27] | Because why would I give him that? | 我为什么要让他如愿呢 | 
| [19:30] | I used to be on this TV show called Horsin’ Around. | 我曾出演过一部叫《胡闹的小马》的剧 | 
| [19:33] | Seriously, hold your applause. | 说真的 先忍着别鼓掌 | 
| [19:36] | Well held. | 忍得真好 | 
| [19:37] | It was written by my friend Herb Kazzaz, who’s also dead now, | 剧本是我朋友赫比·哈萨克写的 他也死了 | 
| [19:40] | and it starred this little girl named Sarah Lynn. | 剧中女主的扮演者名叫萨拉·琳 | 
| [19:43] | And it was about these orphans. | 电视剧讲的是孤儿的事 | 
| [19:44] | And early on, the network had a note, | 一开始时 网上有条建议 | 
| [19:46] | “Maybe don’t mention they’re orphans so much, | “或许别总提起他们是孤儿的事 | 
| [19:48] | because audiences tend to find orphans sad and not relatable.” | 因为观众会觉得孤儿很可怜 没有共鸣” | 
| [19:52] | I never thought the orphans were sad. | 但我从来没觉得那些孤儿很可怜 | 
| [19:53] | I always thought they were lucky | 我一直觉得他们很幸运 | 
| [19:55] | because they could imagine | 因为他们可以随意想象 | 
| [19:56] | their parents to be anything they wanted. | 自己的父母是自己想要的样子 | 
| [19:59] | They had something to long for. | 他们有期盼 | 
| [20:01] | Anyway, we did this one season finale, | 不管怎么样 我们拍一集季终集时 | 
| [20:02] | where Olivia’s birth mother comes to town. | 是讲奥利维亚的生母回到镇上 | 
| [20:04] | And she was a junkie, but she’s gotten herself cleaned up, | 她是个瘾君子 但是戒干净了 | 
| [20:07] | and she wants to be in Olivia’s life again. | 她想重新回到奥利维亚的身边 | 
| [20:09] | And of course, she’s like a perfect grown-up version of Olivia, | 当然了 她就像奥利维亚长大后的完美复刻 | 
| [20:12] | and they go to the mall together | 她们一起去商场 | 
| [20:13] | and get her ears pierced, like she’s always wanted and– | 一起打耳洞 就像她一直想要的那样 | 
| [20:16] | Sorry, spoiler alert for the season six finale of Horsin’ Around, | 抱歉 如果你还在奇怪我说的是什么剧 | 
| [20:22] | Anyway, the horse tries to warn her, “Be careful, | 然后小马想提醒她 “小心点 | 
| [20:24] | moms have a way of letting you down.” | 妈妈总会让你失望” | 
| [20:26] | But Olivia just thinks the horse is jealous, | 但是奥利维亚认为小马只是在嫉妒 | 
| [20:29] | and when the mom says she’s moving to California, | 然后当妈妈说她要搬到加州去后 | 
| [20:32] | Olivia decides to go with her. | 奥利维亚决定和她一起走 | 
| [20:34] | And the network really juiced the cliffhanger: | 然后电视台简直给大家吊足了胃口 | 
| [20:36] | ”Is Olivia gone for good?” | “奥利维亚永远离开了吗” | 
| [20:39] | But of course, because it’s a TV show, she was not gone for good. | 但当然了 这是电视剧 她不会永远离开 | 
| [20:42] | Of course, because it’s a TV show, | 当然了 这是电视剧 | 
| [20:43] | Olivia’s mother had a relapse and had to go back to rehab, | 奥利维亚的妈妈复吸 回到了戒毒所 | 
| [20:46] | so Olivia had to hitchhike all the way home, | 于是奥利维亚只能一路搭车回家 | 
| [20:48] | getting rides from Mr. T, Alf, and the cast of Stomp. | 一路遇见了T先生 埃尔夫和斯坦普的人 | 
| [20:52] | Of course that’s what happened. | 当然会这样了 | 
| [20:53] | Because, what are you gonna do, just not have Olivia on the show? | 因为你还能怎么办 把奥利维亚砍掉吗 | 
| [20:57] | You can’t have happy endings in sitcoms, not really, | 情景喜剧不会有圆满大结局 不会的 | 
| [20:59] | because, if everyone’s happy, the show would be over, | 因为如果大家都很开心 那剧就结束了 | 
| [21:02] | and above all else, the show… has to keep going. | 不管怎么样 剧…得继续拍 | 
| [21:06] | There’s always more show. | 永远有更多集 | 
| [21:07] | And you can call Horsin’ Around dumb, or bad, or unrealistic, | 你可以说《快乐的小马》蠢 烂或者不现实 | 
| [21:11] | but there is nothing more realistic than that. | 但这才是最现实的情况 | 
| [21:14] | You never get a happy ending, ’cause there’s always more show. | 你不会看到圆满结局 因为永远有更多集 | 
| [21:19] | I guess until there isn’t. | 可能直到最终没有了吧 | 
| [21:23] | My mom would hate it if she knew | 我妈妈要是知道我在她的葬礼上 | 
| [21:25] | that I spent so much time at her funeral | 花了这么多时间说我原来拍的电视剧 | 
| [21:27] | talking about my old TV show. | 肯定会气死的 | 
| [21:29] | Or maybe she’d think it was funny that her idiot son | 也可能她会觉得她唯一的儿子连这都做不好 | 
| [21:31] | couldn’t even do this right. Who knows? | 简直是太可笑了 谁知道呢 | 
| [21:33] | She left no instructions for what she wanted me to say. | 她没知会过我她希望我说些什么 | 
| [21:36] | All I know is she wanted an open casket, | 我只知道她想要开棺 | 
| [21:38] | and her idiot son couldn’t even do that right. | 她的蠢儿子连这都办不好 | 
| [21:41] | I’m not gonna stand up here and pretend | 我不会站在这里假装 | 
| [21:43] | I even understood how to please that woman, | 我知道该怎么取悦这女人 | 
| [21:44] | even though so much of my life | 即便我人生中的很多时间 | 
| [21:46] | has been wasted in vain attempts to figure it out. | 都浪费在对此的思考之上 | 
| [21:48] | But I keep going back to that moment in the ICU | 但我一直回想起在重症监护室里 | 
| [21:50] | when she looked at me, and… | 她看着我 然后说 | 
| [21:52] | “I-c-u.” | “ICU”[缩写 音同我看到你了] | 
| [21:54] | “I… see… you.” | “我看到你了” | 
| [21:59] | Jesus Christ, we were in the intensive care unit. | 上帝啊 我们当时在重症监护室 | 
| [22:03] | She was just reading a sign. | 她只是在念指示牌 | 
| [22:07] | My mom died and all I got was this free churro. | 我妈妈死了 而我只有这根免费的油条 | 
| [22:12] | You know the shittiest thing about all of this? | 你们知道最糟心的是什么吗 | 
| [22:14] | Is when that stranger behind the counter gave me that free churro, | 当柜台后的那个陌生人给我免费油条时 | 
| [22:16] | that small act of kindness showed more compassion | 这小小的善意之举中所流露出的同情 | 
| [22:20] | than my mother gave me her entire goddamn life. | 比我妈妈这辈子给予我的都要多 | 
| [22:23] | Like, how hard is it to do something nice for a person? | 好好对一个人能有多难 | 
| [22:26] | This woman at the Jack in the Box didn’t even know me. | 玩偶匣的那个女人甚至都不认识我 | 
| [22:30] | I’m your son. | 我是你的儿子啊 | 
| [22:32] | All I had was you! | 我只有你啊 | 
| [22:37] | I have this friend. | 我有一个朋友 | 
| [22:39] | And right around when I first met her, | 我初见她时 | 
| [22:40] | her dad died, and I actually went with her to the funeral. | 她父亲死了 我陪她去了葬礼 | 
| [22:44] | And months later, she told me that she didn’t understand | 几个月后 她告诉我她不明白为什么自己 | 
| [22:47] | why she was still upset, because she never even liked her father. | 还是很难过 因为她从来就不喜欢她父亲 | 
| [22:51] | It made sense to me, | 我觉得很合理 | 
| [22:51] | because I went through the same thing when my dad died. | 因为我父亲死后我也经历过这样的阶段 | 
| [22:54] | And I’m going through the same thing now. | 现在我又在经历这样的事 | 
| [22:56] | You know what it’s like? | 你知道这是种怎样的感觉吗 | 
| [22:57] | It’s like that show Becker, you know, with Ted Danson? | 就像那部《贝克》 泰德·丹森演的 | 
| [23:00] | I watched the entire run of that show, | 我整部剧都看了下来 | 
| [23:01] | hoping that it would get better, and it never did. | 希望剧情能变好 但却一直没有 | 
| [23:04] | It had all the right pieces, | 明明拥有各种天时地利 | 
| [23:05] | but it just– It couldn’t put them together. | 但就是…就是没办法结合起来 | 
| [23:06] | And when it got canceled, | 这部剧被砍后 | 
| [23:08] | I was really bummed out, not because I liked the show, | 我真的很难过 不是因为我喜欢那部剧 | 
| [23:10] | but because I knew it could be so much better, | 而是因为我知道明明能拍得更好 | 
| [23:13] | and now it never would be. | 而现在没有机会了 | 
| [23:14] | And that’s what losing a parent is like. | 这就是失去父母时的感觉 | 
| [23:17] | It’s like Becker. | 就像《贝克》 | 
| [23:19] | Suddenly, you realize | 突然间 你意识到 | 
| [23:21] | you’ll never have the good relationship you wanted, | 你再也不会拥有你想要的和谐关系了 | 
| [23:23] | and as long as they were alive, even though you’d never admit it, | 本来只要他们还活着 就算你从来不会承认 | 
| [23:26] | part of you, the stupidest goddamn part of you, | 你内心中总有那么愚蠢的一部分 | 
| [23:29] | was still holding on to that chance. | 依然抱着这种奢望 | 
| [23:33] | And you didn’t even realize it until that chance went away. | 等到这种奢望彻底化为乌有 你才意识到 | 
| [23:36] | “My mother is dead, and everything is worse now.” | “我妈妈去世了 现在所有事都更糟了” | 
| [23:41] | Because now I know I will never have a mother | 因为现在我知道永远不会再有一个妈妈 | 
| [23:44] | who looks at me from across a room and says, | 从房间那头看着我 说 | 
| [23:46] | “BoJack Horseman, I see you.” | “马男波杰克 我看到你了” | 
| [23:50] | But I guess it’s good to know. | 但我想知道了也好 | 
| [23:52] | It’s good to know that there is nobody looking out for me, | 知道没有人会照顾着我也好 | 
| [23:56] | that there never was, and there never will be. | 从来没有过 也永远不会有 | 
| [23:58] | No, it’s good to know | 不 知道我只能 | 
| [23:59] | that I am the only one that I can depend on. | 依靠我自己也好 | 
| [24:02] | And I know that now and it’s good. It’s good that I know that. | 我现在知道了 很好 我知道了也好 | 
| [24:05] | So… it’s good my mother is dead. | 所以…我妈妈去世了也好 | 
| [24:10] | Well. No point beating a dead horse. | 废话多说[打死马]也没用 | 
| [24:12] | Beatrice Horseman was born in 1938, | 马男碧翠斯生于1938年 | 
| [24:15] | and she died in 2018, and I have no idea… what she wanted. | 死于2018年 我不知道…她想要什么 | 
| [24:23] | Unless she just wanted what we all want… | 除非她想要的和我们都一样 | 
| [24:26] | to be seen. | 被人看到 | 
| [24:45] | Is this Funeral Parlor B? | 这里是殡仪馆B馆吗 |