英文名称:Creation
年代:2009
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:35] | 查尔斯・达尔文于1859年出版的《物种起源》 被誉为思想史上最伟大的个人著作 | |
[00:39] | 本片描述此书的问世过程 | |
[01:41] | Papa? | 爸爸 |
[01:44] | – Tell me a story. – Alright. What about? | -给我讲故事吧 -好 讲什么呢 |
[01:48] | I don’t know. About everything. | 不知道 什么都讲讲吧 |
[01:51] | Everything? | 什么都讲 |
[01:54] | Very well, then. | 好吧 |
[02:03] | 造物弄人 | |
[02:06] | In tierra del fuego, land of fire… | 在火焰之地火地岛 |
[02:11] | …A blighted and loveless country on the earth’s furthest rim | 在那个地处世界边缘的荒蛮之地 |
[02:16] | Lives a community of the dirtiest, most vulgar, | 住着一群粗鄙肮脏的野蛮人 |
[02:20] | Least civilised people you can possibly imagine. | 他们的开化程度低得难以想象 |
[02:25] | They appeared almost entirely naked | 他们几乎不穿衣服 |
[02:27] | With their hair all the way down to their bottoms. | 长发及腰 |
[02:30] | They never washed their hands or their faces, even before dinner. | 他们从不洗脸或洗手 即使是吃饭前也一样 |
[02:37] | One day, Captain Fitzroy went ashore to meet them. | 一天 菲茨罗伊船长上岸去见他们 |
[03:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[03:11] | Not long now. I shall be with you presently. Head to me, please. | 不会很久了 我来了 头靠后一点 |
[03:16] | Very good. Now, very still, please. No fidgeting. | 很好 别动 |
[03:20] | And above all, no smiling. | 千万别笑 |
[03:24] | – Excuse me, sir? – Hmm? | -先生 -什么 |
[03:26] | – Will this hurt? – oh, no, no, no. | -这会疼吗 -不 不会 |
[03:30] | It is only a beam of light. | 只是光而已 |
[03:38] | – Papa? – Hmm? | -爸爸 -嗯 |
[03:40] | How can light make a picture? | 光是怎样变成相片呢 |
[03:42] | Well, they take a copper | 他们那块铜片 |
[03:43] | plate and they prepare it with chemicals, | 上面有化学物质 |
[03:46] | And these chemicals are activated | 这些化学物质 |
[03:49] | By the light that reflects back from your face, | 被你脸上反射来的光激活 |
[03:51] | And so the silver | 所以哪里最亮 |
[03:55] | sticks to the places where the light is brightest. Understand? | 银就会粘在哪里 懂了吧 |
[04:00] | Yes. | 嗯 |
[04:01] | – Sorry. So sorry. – No, thank you. | -真抱歉 -谢谢 |
[04:05] | – Go on. He went ashore to meet them. – yes, that’s right. | -他上岸后见他们 然后呢 -对 |
[04:08] | So, erm, Captain Fitzroy went ashore to interview the Fuegians. | 然后菲茨罗伊船长上岸去见火地岛土著 |
[04:12] | Now. | 开始 |
[04:14] | He offered them some axe heads, some calico, | 他给他们一些斧头 棉布 |
[04:17] | And very pretty buttons. | 和好看的纽扣 |
[04:19] | Total value, probably two shillings. | 总价值不过2先令罢了 |
[04:21] | This is yours. You take it. | 这是你的了 拿去吧 |
[04:24] | Look how it… look how it glisters. See? | 看看 它发光 对吧 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1508个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:321个,六级词汇:149个,GRE词汇:162个,托福词汇:251个,考研词汇:330个,专四词汇:284个,专八词汇:65个, 所有生词标注共:615个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[04:31] | And all he asked in return? | 那他的条件是什么呢 |
[04:34] | A few spare children. | 一些没人要的孩子 |
[04:38] | You give me el nina. | 你把那个小女孩给我 |
[04:42] | To the Fuegians, children were cheap and buttons were precious, | 对火地岛土著来说 孩子便宜纽扣珍贵 |
[04:47] | So it wasn’t long before the Fuegians had their trinkets | 所以很快火地岛土著有了那些小玩意儿 |
[04:50] | And Captain Fitzroy had his three children. | 菲茨罗伊船长得到了三个孩子 |
[04:53] | He named them Boat Memory… | 他叫他们船忆 |
[04:57] | …Jemmy Button and Fuegia Basket. | 纽扣和火地篮 |
[05:08] | Come here, you dirty little beggar! | 过来吧 脏兮兮的小要饭的 |
[05:19] | The good captain had them washed and dressed, | 善良的船长让他们梳洗打扮好 |
[05:23] | And he taught them the proper table manners. | 他教他们吃饭的礼仪 |
[06:03] | Boat Memory died of smallpox, but the two littlest ones, | 船忆因为天花死了 但是那两个小点的 |
[06:06] | They learned their prayers and their times-tables so excellently | 他们祷告词和乘法表都学得很棒 |
[06:11] | That they were invited to meet the king and queen. | 所以国王和王后邀请了他们 |
[06:37] | Everyone agreed that good Christian values | 每个人都认为基督教价值观 |
[06:41] | had tamed the most savage of hearts. | 驯服了最野蛮的心 |
[06:43] | The King gave Jemmy a genuine brass telescope | 国王赏给纽扣一个纯铜望远镜 |
[06:46] | And the Queen gave Fuegia one | 王后赐予火地篮她最好的 |
[06:48] | of her sunday best bonnets to keep for ever. | 太阳帽 让她永远留存 |
[06:52] | Two years later, Captain Fitzroy and I took them home, | 两年之后 菲茨罗伊船长和我把他们带回家 |
[06:55] | Accompanied by a young missionary, | 跟着一起的还有一位年轻的传教士 |
[06:58] | in the belief that, by example, | 大家相信 他们以身作则 |
[07:00] | They would bring their fellow savages to god. | 会让其他野蛮人也信仰上帝 |
[07:05] | And what do you think happened? | 你觉得后来发生了什么事呢 |
[07:09] | It didn’t work. | 没用 |
[07:11] | That’s right. Of course it didn’t work! | 对 当然没用 |
[07:17] | – Go after them, you fool! Get them now. – Jemmy! Fuegia! | -抓住他们 傻瓜 -纽扣 火地篮 |
[07:21] | Put your clothes back on! Come back! | 回来 穿上衣服 |
[07:25] | It was a complete and total failure. | 这是一次完败 |
[07:28] | No, no, no! | 别 别 别 |
[07:32] | Quite still, didn’t I say? | 别动 我不是说过吗 |
[07:34] | You shall have to do it all over again. | 我们得重来 |
[07:37] | So sorry. So badly behaved. So sorry. | 抱歉 失礼了 抱歉 |
[08:23] | Mr Darwin, sir? | 达尔文先生 |
[08:26] | Come on, Mr Darwin, or your dinner will be spoiling. | 快点 达尔文先生 不然饭菜都要凉了 |
[08:42] | Mr D will be in presently, ma’am. I imagine. | 夫人 达尔文先生应该马上就来 |
[08:47] | Thank you, Mrs Davies. | 谢谢你 戴维斯女士 |
[08:49] | Is papa unwell again? | 爸爸又不舒服了吗 |
[08:50] | – He’s always unwell these days. – he is not, Franky. | -他这几天都不太好 -不是 弗兰齐 |
[08:55] | Maybe he caught something awful from the Hottentots. | 或许霍屯督人传染了什么给他 |
[08:58] | Nanny Brodie said god was angry with him. | 布罗蒂奶妈说上帝很生他的气 |
[09:01] | – Brodie said no such thing. – Yes, she did! | -布罗蒂没说过 -她说了 |
[09:04] | – Good evening. – Good evening, papa. | -晚上好 -晚上好 爸爸 |
[09:08] | Sorry I’m so late. | 抱歉迟了 |
[09:14] | Soup du jour, sir. | 例汤 先生 |
[09:17] | Thank you, Parslow. | 谢谢 帕斯洛 |
[09:25] | Lord god, bless this family and the food we eat. | 主啊 赐福这个家庭以及他们所食 |
[09:29] | – We ask in thy name. Amen. – Amen. | -奉您的名祈愿 阿门 -阿门 |
[09:38] | I hear Mr Hooker is coming tomorrow. | 我听说胡克先生明天要来 |
[09:41] | Yes. Yes, that’s right. | 对 是这样的 |
[09:46] | Did he say what it was about? | 他说过他来做什么吗 |
[09:50] | I’m not sure that now’s the time to discuss it. | 不清楚 现在也不是谈论此事的时候 |
[09:53] | Perhaps the time to discuss it was before you invited him. | 或许我们应该在你邀请他之前谈论一下 |
[09:57] | Well, quite possibly, but he… he invited himself. | 应该那样 但他是不请自来 |
[10:06] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[10:09] | Tell Mrs Davies it was delicious, but my… | 告诉戴维斯夫人很美味 但是我的 |
[10:13] | My stomach’s still not quite what it… it should be. | 我的胃还不太好 |
[10:17] | Forgive me. | 请原谅 |
[10:23] | – Can we go fishing? – Can we pick gooseberries? | -我们可以去钓鱼吗 -可以去采醋栗吗 |
[10:27] | October 17th, 1858. | 1858年10月17号 |
[10:30] | Passed a poor night. Stomach still wretched. | 熬过了一夜 胃依然很难受 |
[10:34] | Noticed a slight tremor in right hand. | 右手有点抖 |
[10:38] | Consider increasing laudanum by ten per cent, perhaps. | 可能要加10%的鸦片量了 |
[10:41] | We’ll sacrifice the two tumblers. | 我们要牺牲那两只翻头鸽了 |
[10:44] | I want to skeletonise them. | 我想用它们的骨架做标本 |
[10:46] | Yes, sir. | 好的 |
[10:47] | Selective breeding is undoubtedly working. | 选育显然有用 |
[10:50] | Already seeing real changes in wing structure. | 已经可以在翅膀结构上看见明显的变化 |
[10:54] | I’m convinced that all fancy breeds, | 我确定所有不同种类的鸽子 |
[10:56] | pouter, carrier, tumbler et cetera, | 凸胸鸽 信鸽 翻头鸽等等 |
[10:59] | Derive from the common rock pigeon. | 都是从野鸽进化而来 |
[11:02] | Nature selects for survival, man for appearance. | 自然界里适者生存 人类社会要靠外表 |
[11:12] | Must improve skeletonising methods. | 必须改进制作骨架的方法 |
[11:14] | Consider aqua regia, quicklime, perhaps. | 或许可以考虑王水 生石灰 |
[11:19] | They’ll need a few more hours, those, sir. | 还得过几个小时 先生 |
[11:33] | Master George! Master Franky! | 乔治阁下 弗兰齐阁下 |
[11:35] | Lady Etty and Master Lenny. How are you, sir? | 埃蒂夫人和莱尼阁下 身体还好吧 先生 |
[11:39] | – Sir? – Thank you. | -先生 -谢谢 |
[11:43] | Anything else, sir? | 还需要帮忙吗 先生 |
[11:44] | No, no, no, you… carry on. I’ll clean myself up. | 不用 你忙你的吧 我自己来 |
[11:48] | Is it true that he only let | 只有你娶他最肥的女儿 |
[11:50] | you go if you married his fattest daughter? | 他才会让你离开 这事是真的吗 |
[11:52] | Absolutely true, George, but don’t you dare tell my wife. | 乔治 当然喽 但别告诉我妻子 |
[11:56] | – Dear Joseph. – Dearest Emma. | -亲爱的约瑟夫 -亲爱的艾玛 |
[12:00] | Ah. Yes. Forgive the short notice. | 抱歉很唐突 |
[12:05] | – You know Thomas Huxley? – Only by reputation. | -认识托马斯・赫胥黎吗 -略有耳闻 |
[12:08] | – He insisted on coming, I could not refuse him. – It’s a lie. | -他坚持要来 我不能拒绝 -撒谎 |
[12:11] | I have a question for your esteemed, reclusive husband | 我有疑问想请教你尊贵低调的丈夫 |
[12:15] | And I didn’t trust Hooker to ask it for me. | 但是我不相信胡克会帮我问 |
[12:17] | I see. Children, tell papa his visitors are here. | 明白了 孩子们 告诉爸爸客人来了 |
[12:21] | – He already knows. – He’s hiding. | -他知道了 -他躲起来了 |
[12:24] | Do come in, please. | 请进 |
[12:25] | Can we play charge of the light brigade? | 我们来玩”轻骑队冲锋”吧 |
[12:28] | You must be exhausted. Will you take tea? | 你一定精疲力尽了 喝茶吗 |
[12:31] | Hooker! My dear fellow! And Huxley. Do come in. Come in. | 胡克 老伙计 赫胥黎也来了 快进来 |
[12:36] | Lead the charge, boys. And away we go. | 冲啊 孩子们 我们进去 |
[13:00] | We’re re-forming the Linnean society. | 我们正在重组林奈学会 |
[13:03] | The committee will comprise of myself, | 委员会包括我 |
[13:05] | Lyell, Hooker, yourself, of course, if you’re game for it. | 莱尔 胡克 如果你愿意的话 加上你 |
[13:09] | Now that Hooker and I finally have a bit of clout, | 现在胡克和我终于有了点影响力 |
[13:11] | We can start to reclaim science as a profession. | 我们可以从重申科学是一种职业开始 |
[13:14] | Wrest it away from the country parsons and beetle collectors. | 和乡村牧师甲虫收藏家区分开 |
[13:17] | Some of whom are friends of mine. | 他们中有些是我的朋友 |
[13:19] | Your book will be our rallying point. | 你的书将会成为我们的着力点 |
[13:21] | No, it won’t. There is no book. | 不会 没有书 |
[13:23] | There are fragments, | 都是断简残篇 |
[13:25] | and they’re not in any fit state to publish. | 不适合出版 |
[13:26] | Nonsense I’ve read your detail abstract | 废话 我看过你的摘要 |
[13:29] | and the argument is hugely powerful. | 论据十分有力 |
[13:30] | Clear evidence of transformation over millions of years | 清楚地证实了几百万年来 |
[13:33] | From a free-swimming prawn to a shellfish stuck on a rock. | 一只自由游泳的虾到卡在岩石里的贝类的演化 |
[13:37] | That’s my point. You can’t be sure of that, | 正是我要说的 我不能肯定 |
[13:39] | and that’s why I need more time. | 我需要更多时间 |
[13:41] | – Mr Darwin, sir? – Yes? | -达尔文先生 -什么 |
[13:44] | Either you are being disingenuous | 你要么是虚伪 |
[13:46] | or you do not fully understand your own theory. | 要么就没有完全明白你自己的理论 |
[13:49] | Evidently, what is true of the | 很明显 对藤壶适用的 |
[13:51] | barnacle is true of all creatures, even humans. | 对所有生物都适用 包括人 |
[13:54] | The Almighty can no longer claim | 上帝再也不能宣称他在 |
[13:56] | to have authored every species in under a week. | 一周内创造了所有生物 |
[13:59] | You’ve killed god, sir. | 你抹杀了上帝 先生 |
[14:02] | You have killed god. | 你抹杀了上帝 |
[14:04] | Or to put it another way… | 或者换种说法 |
[14:07] | And I say good riddance to the vindictive old bugger! | 终于摆脱了那些爱报复的老基佬 |
[14:10] | – Charles? Charles? – Oh, no, I’m fine, I’m fine, I’m fine. | -查尔斯 -没事 我没事 |
[14:14] | – Thomas, please. – Yes, I quite understand. | -托马斯 别这样 -我很明白 |
[14:17] | It is time to write your book. | 该是你写书的时候了 |
[14:20] | Strike hard and fast with a blow that is utterly conclusive. | 给他们迅速而有力的最后一击 |
[14:23] | Really, sir, you… | 这个 先生 你 |
[14:25] | You talk as if we’re at war. | 你讲的好像我们在打仗一样 |
[14:27] | Yes. Science is at war with religion, and when we win, | 对 科学正和宗教作战 等我们赢了 |
[14:31] | We’ll finally be rid of those damned archbishops | 就可以摆脱那些该死的大主教了 |
[14:34] | And their threats of eternal punishment. | 和他们所谓永恒惩罚的威胁 |
[14:37] | No, Mr Huxley, we… | 不 赫胥黎 我们 |
[14:40] | We live in a society and | 我们生活在社会中 |
[14:41] | it is a society bound together by the church. | 社会通过教堂紧密地联系在一起 |
[14:46] | An improbable sort of barque, | 虽是一叶轻舟 |
[14:48] | I grant you, but at least it floats. | 但我告诉你 它至少还浮在水面上 |
[14:51] | It floats. And you would what? | 它没有沉 而你呢 |
[14:54] | You would have us all rebuild, plank by plank, | 你想让我们重新造船 一点一点的 |
[14:57] | The very vessel in which we sail? | 拆掉我们正在航行的船重新造 |
[14:59] | Oh, come, come, Charles! Did… | 别这样 查尔斯 |
[15:02] | Did god’s laws change your fuegians? | 上帝的规则让你的火地岛人改变了吗 |
[15:06] | Was Jenny the ape any less personable for not being a person? | 猩猩珍妮的行为不像人类吗 |
[15:11] | Our behaviour, like our physical forms, | 我们的行为 就像我们的身体一样 |
[15:14] | Evolves according to our needs. | 根据需求进化 |
[15:16] | Your very own words, sir! | 你自己说的 先生 |
[15:17] | And thus, in time, we | 因此 有一天 |
[15:19] | lose those parts that are no longer required. | 我们不需要的部分就会退化 |
[15:24] | Like the appendix, the male nipple, and finally, thank Christ | 就像阑尾 男性乳头 最后 感谢基督 |
[15:28] | Our belief in an utterly redundant almighty! | 还包括对上帝的无谓信仰 |
[15:40] | Mr Hooker? | 胡克先生 |
[15:44] | I… implore you, please do not push him. | 我求求你 别逼他了 |
[15:49] | No one can push Charles. You know how fixed he is. | 没人可以逼查尔斯 你知道他有多坚定 |
[15:53] | – Bit of a barnacle himself, really. – yes. | -他自己也像只藤壶 -对 |
[15:56] | And if you prise him from his rock, he will die. | 如果你把他从岩石上撬下来 他会死的 |
[16:00] | Come on, Hooker. It’ll be dark soon. | 快点 胡克 天快黑了 |
[16:15] | So, what did she say to you? | 她对你说什么了 |
[16:20] | She said it was killing him. | 她说这简直要了他的命 |
[16:24] | Yes. Mighty slow death considering | 对啊 他花在这上面的时间太久了 |
[16:26] | the length of time he’s sat on this stuff. | 自然会引起慢性死亡 |
[16:30] | We shall all be dead and | 如果他再久一点 |
[16:31] | buried ourselves if he takes much longer. | 我们都会自掘坟墓 |
[16:33] | Yes, since his girl died, | 对 自从他女儿死了之后 |
[16:35] | One has to admit… he’s not the man he was. | 不得不承认 他像变了一个人 |
[17:40] | When are you going to be done with those stinky old barnacles? | 你什么时候才能不弄这些发臭的藤壶了呢 |
[17:44] | Well, I’ve been chasing this little crustacean | 我正在追踪三千万年来 |
[17:47] | in all of its evolutionary forms over 30 million years. | 这种甲壳纲动物的全部进化过程 |
[17:52] | Now, eight years doesn’t | 8年的时间 |
[17:53] | seem a very long time to achieve that, does it? | 也不够做这些的 是吧 |
[17:56] | What does “Procrastinating” Mean? | “推迟”是什么意思 |
[18:01] | Oh, I think you know very well what it means, Annie. | 安妮 我想你非常清楚 |
[18:05] | It means putting things off. Why? | 意思是延后 为什么问这个 |
[18:08] | That’s what Mr Hooker thinks you’re doing. | 这是胡克先生认为你在做的 |
[18:11] | Does he indeed? | 真的吗 |
[18:14] | Is it because of mama or what’s in that box? | 是因为妈妈还是那个盒子里的东西 |
[18:19] | Both. | 都是 |
[18:25] | I should probably just burn the lot. | 我应该把这些都烧了 |
[18:27] | You can’t. I’m in it. | 不行 我在里面 |
[18:29] | Don’t be absurd! Of course you’re not in it. | 别搞笑了 你当然不在里面 |
[18:32] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[18:33] | When I was a baby, you said. | 我还是婴儿的时候 你说的 |
[18:36] | – Oh, that. – The natural history of babies. | -哦 对 -婴儿的自然史 |
[18:43] | Yes, that’s right. | 对 对 |
[18:45] | Look at my finger. | 看我的手指 |
[18:49] | Oh, you’re so strong! You’re so strong! | 你太健康了 太健康了 |
[19:00] | Here. Annie. | 这里 安妮 |
[19:19] | I think that will not help her sleep. | 我认为这对她睡眠没有用处 |
[19:22] | I’m sure you’re probably right. | 我想你是对的 |
[19:25] | Who’s that? | 那是谁 |
[19:28] | Who is that? Is that you? | 那是谁 是你吗 |
[19:36] | Oh, sweetheart. Oh, I’m so sorry. | 宝贝 我错了 |
[19:40] | Oh, what a mean old papa you have. | 你老爸太坏了 |
[19:44] | Oh, sweetheart! | 宝贝 |
[19:46] | Oh, what a mean old papa you have! | 你老爸太坏了 |
[19:50] | What a mean old… | 你老爸太坏了 |
[19:51] | What a mean old man you have! | 你老爸太坏了 |
[19:54] | Oh, I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry. | 我错了 我错了 |
[19:58] | “Six weeks: gurgles.” | 第六周开始咯咯笑 |
[20:01] | “Tries to suck. Holds tight to my finger.” | 试着吮吸 能紧抓我的手指 |
[20:04] | “Perceives bosom when three or four inches from it.” | 离乳房三到四英寸时能感觉到 |
[20:07] | I should add that she’s musical. | 我应该加上她有音乐细胞 |
[20:09] | I hope you do not plan to treat | 我希望你别把我们 |
[20:11] | all our children as specimens of the ape genus | 所有的孩子当成你实验中的 |
[20:14] | To be included in your experiments. | 猿属标本 |
[20:17] | All of our children? You mean you want more? | 所有的孩子 意思是你还想要更多 |
[20:22] | Oh, sorry. I assumed. | 抱歉 假设罢了 |
[20:24] | No, if the idea doesn’t appeal, | 如果你不想的话 |
[20:26] | then we won’t have any more children. | 我们就不会有了 |
[20:28] | Darling, I have plans to breed an entire army of them. | 亲爱的 我想要一个军队的孩子 |
[20:34] | Look at that. That’s called the waltz. | 看看 这叫华尔兹 |
[20:45] | Careful, now! Not too far ahead. | 小心 别跑太远 |
[20:48] | – Make yourself useful, Hooker. – Stay away from that water! | -有用点吧 胡克 -别踩到水了 |
[20:51] | Fear not, Brodie, I have them in my sights. Children! | 好的 布罗蒂 我得看着他们 孩子们 |
[20:57] | Now, which of the four of you | 现在你们中哪个 |
[21:00] | Would be the first who would like to learn how to hook a worm? | 想第一个学会挂饵 |
[21:03] | Me! Me! | 我 我 |
[21:04] | “A little further on, the leading highlander snuffed the wind | 领头的高地人向前踏了一步 在风中 |
[21:08] | Like a setting spaniel, | 像一只凶悍的猎犬一样抽动着鼻子 |
[21:11] | And then made a signal to his party again to halt.” | 然后发出信号叫他的同伴休息 |
[21:14] | “He stooped down upon all fours, wrapped up in his plaid…” | 他四肢着地蹲下来 裹着他的长披肩 |
[21:18] | – Look what I found, mama. – Look at that. | -妈妈 看我找到了什么 -看看 |
[21:21] | What shall I feed it? | 我应该喂它什么呢 |
[21:23] | Let’s ask reverend Innes. | 问问尊敬的英尼斯先生吧 |
[21:24] | Oh, erm… | 呃 |
[21:26] | A leaf, I should think. | 我觉得树叶吧 |
[21:28] | Necrophorus humator, isn’t he, Charles? | 这是墓地甲虫 是吧 查尔斯 |
[21:31] | Rather a splendid specimen. | 真是个不错的标本 |
[21:34] | Yes, he is. He’s a… carnivore. | 对啊 它是食肉的 |
[21:36] | He eats carrion and insects. | 它吃腐肉和昆虫 |
[21:39] | Boys! We need carrion and insects! | 兄弟们 我们需要腐肉和昆虫 |
[21:42] | Look, here’s a worm, here’s a worm. | 看 这里有只蠕虫 这有只蠕虫 |
[21:45] | – An earwig! Squish it! – No, don’t kill it. | -是只地蜈蚣 打扁它 -不 别杀它 |
[21:49] | I know that expression. | 我了解那个表情 |
[21:51] | He’s dreaming of his glory days | 他在梦想那些不再受 |
[21:53] | When he was unencumbered with wife and family. | 妻子和家庭羁绊的美好日子 |
[21:56] | Free to wander the planet. | 自由地行走于整个星球 |
[21:59] | Actually, I was… I was remembering how the tropical seas | 实际上 我是 我是在回想 |
[22:04] | teemed with living particles | 漂满生命微粒的热带海洋 |
[22:06] | that seemed to surround the Beagle with a luminous glow | 似乎将小猎犬号环绕在光圈中 |
[22:09] | And leave a glistening pathway through the night. | 为它在夜里留下一条闪光的道路 |
[22:33] | Puzzling. | 令人迷惑 |
[22:34] | So much beauty for so little purpose. | 如此美丽却只有如此少的用处 |
[22:38] | So little purpose? | 如此少的用处 |
[22:39] | They were helping to light the ship’s way. | 它们帮忙照亮了船行驶的道路 |
[22:42] | Well said. Exactly. | 说得好 就是这样 |
[22:45] | John, are you familiar with the works of Thomas Malthus? | 约翰 你熟悉托马斯・马尔萨斯的作品吗 |
[22:49] | – He married his first cousin. – So did I. | -他和他的堂亲结了婚 -我也是 |
[22:53] | – Yes, but I wasn’t suggesting that – Of course you weren’t. | -是的 但我不是那个意思 -当然不是 |
[22:58] | Anyway, Thomas Malthus calculated that if, | 不管怎样 托马斯・马尔萨斯计算出 |
[23:02] | Well, if every trout, | 如果每一条鲑鱼 |
[23:03] | Say, had a hundred or so offspring | 比如说 有一百个左右的后代 |
[23:05] | And so on and so forth throughout the generations, | 它的后代也如此 |
[23:08] | We’d be knee-deep in trout in just a few decades. | 几十年内我们就会没在齐膝深的鲑鱼里 |
[23:12] | How would you respond to that? | 你对此作何反应 |
[23:14] | I’d respond by saying | 我的回应是 |
[23:15] | That most of the eggs are destroyed or eaten | 它们大多数的卵被破坏了或者被吃了 |
[23:18] | So that the numbers remain stable. | 所以数量保持稳定 |
[23:21] | That’s the beauty of God’s plan. | 那正是主完美的计划 |
[23:23] | It doesn’t strike you as a wasteful plan, | 你没意识到这计划多么浪费 |
[23:25] | These myriad lives created | 无数生命被创造出来 |
[23:27] | Only to be immediately extinguished? | 只是为了被瞬间毁灭 |
[23:29] | They provide food for others. | 它们为其他的卵提供食物 |
[23:31] | Cheese and cucumber? | 吃奶酪和黄瓜吗 |
[23:32] | Thousands die so that only a few may live. | 上千条死掉 只为了让几条活下来 |
[23:35] | Is not the sum total of | 这不是把全部的幸福建立在 |
[23:37] | Happiness in some sort of massive deficit? | 部分的巨大亏损之上吗 |
[23:40] | Charles, it is really not | 查尔斯 如此去推测主的心意 |
[23:41] | My duty to speculate on the mind of God, | 的确不是我的职责所在 |
[23:43] | But it does seem to me that nature is at peace. | 但我看来自然确实一片和平 |
[23:49] | There is another view. | 还有另一种视角 |
[23:52] | That all of nature is a battlefield. | 自然是战场 |
[23:54] | Remind me where I read that. | 不记得我在哪读到过这个 |
[23:59] | – This is very good. – Good. Shall I continue? | -非常好 -好的 我能继续吗 |
[24:03] | Hmm, please do. | 请继续 |
[24:06] | “In a short time, he returned, | 很快 他回来了 |
[24:08] | And dismissed his attendants, excepting one, | 遣散了他所有的侍从 只留下一个 |
[24:11] | And intimating to Waverley | 并暗示韦弗利 |
[24:13] | That he must imitate his cautious way…” | 他必须效仿他谨慎的道路 |
[25:51] | “‘Now,’ thought Christian, ‘what shall I do?”‘ | 克里斯蒂安想 现在 我该做什么 |
[25:57] | “And ever and anon the flame | 时不时地 火焰 |
[25:59] | and smoke would come out in such abundance | 和烟雾会大量涌出来 |
[26:02] | With sparks and hideous noises | 带着火星和令人厌恶的噪音 |
[26:04] | That Christian was forced to put up his sword | 克里斯蒂安被迫放下手中的剑 |
[26:07] | And betake himself to another weapon called all prayer.” | 专心于另一种叫祈祷的武器 |
[26:12] | Let us stop there. | 就读到这儿吧 |
[26:16] | Is papa not coming to kiss us goodnight? | 爸爸不来跟我们说晚安吗 |
[26:19] | He is a little unwell from working. Maybe tomorrow. | 他工作得有点不舒服 可能明天吧 |
[26:23] | You said that last night. | 你昨晚就这么说 |
[26:26] | I think when Annie died, he stopped loving us. | 我觉得安妮死后 他就不爱我们了 |
[26:30] | No, Etty. | 不 埃蒂 |
[26:32] | He’s just a little bit tired and a little bit busy. | 他只是有点累 而且有点忙 |
[26:47] | Goodnight, darling. | 晚安 亲爱的 |
[27:19] | What are you doing, Annie? | 你在做什么 安妮 |
[27:21] | I’m making you beautiful. | 我在让你变漂亮 |
[27:25] | But I need to think. | 但我需要思考 |
[27:29] | What are you so scared of? | 是什么让你如此害怕 |
[27:35] | – It’s only a theory. – No, they’re right. | -只是一个理论 -不 他们是对的 |
[27:41] | It changes everything. | 那将改变一切 |
[27:45] | Suppose the whole world stopped believing | 设想一下 整个世界不再相信 |
[27:48] | That God had any sort of plan for us. | 上帝对我们有何安排 |
[27:51] | That nothing mattered. Not love, not trust. | 一切都无所谓 没有爱 没有信任 |
[27:54] | Not faith, not honour. | 没有信仰 没有荣誉 |
[27:58] | Only brute survival. | 只有残忍才能存活 |
[28:05] | Apart from anything else, it would break your mother’s heart. | 撇开其他事情不说 这会使妈妈心碎的 |
[28:08] | Hearts can’t break, silly. You told me that. | 心不会碎 真蠢 你跟我说过的 |
[28:17] | Breathe in, papa. Breathe out. | 吸气 爸爸 呼气 |
[28:24] | – Tell me a story. – Alright. What about? | -给我讲个故事 -好的 讲什么 |
[28:28] | About Jenny. | 关于珍妮的 |
[28:32] | – It’s late. I have no time. – Please? | -已经很晚了 我没有时间了 -拜托了 |
[28:37] | Why Jenny? It’s so sad. | 为什么是珍妮 那太悲伤了 |
[28:41] | I like sad stories. | 我喜欢悲伤的故事 |
[28:46] | Once upon a time, | 很久很久以前 |
[28:48] | There was a family of orang-utans | 有红毛猩猩一家 |
[28:51] | Living in the deepest jungles of Borneo. | 住在婆罗洲丛林的最深处 |
[29:03] | Their eldest daughter was the most loving, the most caring, | 它们的大女儿是所有猩猩中最可爱 |
[29:08] | And the most trusting orang of all. | 最有爱心 也是最值得信任的 |
[29:15] | But she was also the most… | 而且她也是最最 |
[29:17] | Intelligent. | 聪明的 |
[29:19] | Well, I was going to say inquisitive. | 我想说是最爱钻研的 |
[29:25] | Did I neglect to mention she was not always | 我是不是没有提到她不总是 |
[29:28] | The most obedient of creatures? | 最顺从听话的生物 |
[30:24] | By the time she realised her danger, it was too late. | 当她感受到危险时 已经太晚了 |
[30:34] | They put her in a bag and they carried her off… | 他们将她装在袋子里 把她带走了 |
[30:37] | Much to her loving parents’ despair. | 她的亲人如此绝望 |
[30:39] | So sorry. Much to her loving parents’ despairical,of course. | 很遗憾 她的亲人如此绝望 这是当然的 |
[30:42] | And the Dayaks | 之后迪亚克人 |
[30:44] | Bundled her into a cage | 将她关在一个笼子里 |
[30:46] | And set off to sell her down the river. | 沿河出发打算卖掉她 |
[30:51] | They sold her to a trader for | 他们将她卖给一个商人 |
[30:53] | Threepence, three farthings, | 换了三便士 三法新 |
[30:54] | And he put her in a bigger | 之后将她放在一个更大的 |
[30:56] | Cage and sold her to London Zoo for 300 guineas. | 笼子里 卖到伦敦动物园 卖了三百基尼 |
[31:06] | She was the first orang-utan | 她是人们在英格兰 |
[31:08] | That anyone had ever seen in England. | 见到的第一只猩猩 |
[31:12] | Everyone peered at Jenny, and Jenny peered back, | 人们都凝视着珍妮 珍妮也凝视着他们 |
[31:16] | And she marvelled at what strange creatures they all were. | 她对这些陌生的物种感到好奇 |
[31:22] | The curators of the zoo, they… they cleaned her up… | 动物园的管理者们 他们给她洗澡 |
[31:28] | …made her presentable for polite society. | 使她在文明社会中也能体面见人 |
[31:36] | Which was when I was first introduced to her. | 我第一次见到她的时候… |
[32:07] | What is that, Jenny? | 那是什么 珍妮 |
[33:16] | Oh, come on. | 拜托 |
[33:38] | Bravo! | 太棒了 |
[33:42] | When eventually it came time to say goodbye, | 最后还是要说再见了 |
[33:45] | She grew quite downcast and refused to shake my hand. | 她变得非常沮丧 拒绝和我握手 |
[33:49] | Finally, she took it, | 终于 在我许下承诺后 |
[33:51] | But only after I’d made her a promise | 她和我握了手 |
[33:53] | I was never able to keep: | 那承诺我永远无法兑现 |
[33:55] | That I would visit her again | 我说我会再来看她 |
[33:57] | Very soon. | 很快 |
[34:01] | Go on. Tell me about the bit | 继续 讲讲关于 |
[34:03] | Where she gets sick and dies. | 她如何生病然后死了的事 |
[34:06] | Why do you want to hear that bit? | 你为什么会想听那个 |
[34:09] | I like it. It makes me cry. | 我喜欢 那让我想哭 |
[34:46] | Huxley is of the opinion that | 赫胥黎认为我应当 |
[34:49] | I should write and be done with it. | 写下来 把它完成 |
[34:51] | Says it’s a question of moral courage, or of… | 他说这是关于道义勇气的问题 或者 |
[34:54] | Or rather my lack of it. | 更该说是我缺少道义勇气 |
[34:58] | Did you tell him about your health? | 你跟他说你的健康问题了吗 |
[35:01] | His theory is that | 他的理论是我因畏缩不前 |
[35:04] | I’m making myself ill by holding back, | 使自己生病 |
[35:05] | And… that I should lance the boil, so to speak. | 就是说 我该冲破一切 |
[35:09] | Thank the Lord he’s no longer a surgeon. | 感谢上帝他不再是外科医生了 |
[35:14] | I have concluded that he’s right. | 我认为他是对的 |
[35:18] | You know, bite the gag. Speed is everything. | 像是 咬紧牙关 速度至上 |
[35:24] | It will all be over in a matter of months. | 大约几个月就好了 |
[35:28] | It is not mere months… | 不只是几个月 |
[35:32] | …Nor even years nor decades | 也不是几年或者几十年的问题 |
[35:33] | That concern me, Charles. | 让我担心 查尔斯 |
[35:39] | Do you really care… | 你是否真的 |
[35:42] | …So little for your immortal soul? | 不在乎你不灭的灵魂 |
[35:45] | Charles… do you not care | 查尔斯 你是否毫不在乎 |
[35:49] | That you may never pass through the gates of heaven | 你可能永远不会通过天堂之门 |
[35:52] | And that you and I may be separated for all eternity? | 你我将被永世分隔两地 |
[35:55] | Well, of course I care. Of course I do. | 我当然在乎 当然在乎 |
[36:00] | What do you think has | 你认为这些年是什么 |
[36:02] | Kept me in limbo all these years? | 让我处于地狱边境 |
[36:04] | I am a neuter bee. | 我是只无性的蜜蜂 |
[36:08] | I’m a scientist, and I dare not study | 我是个科学家 因为害怕更清楚地看到 |
[36:11] | For the fear of seeing more | 那些于我已经稀松平常的东西 |
[36:13] | Clearly what is already as plain as day to me. | 我不敢研究 |
[36:19] | Do you not think that’s torture enough? | 你认为那还不够折磨吗 |
[36:21] | I think you are at war with God, Charles. | 我认为你在与主战斗 查尔斯 |
[36:26] | We both know it is a battle you cannot win. | 我们都知道这场战争你不可能胜利 |
[36:48] | – Give me the ball! – No, you cheated! | -把球给我 -不 你作弊 |
[36:51] | – Curse you, woman! – You cheated! | -诅咒你 女人 -你作弊 |
[36:53] | Etty! | 埃蒂 |
[37:00] | Etty, Etty, Etty! | 埃蒂 埃蒂 埃蒂 |
[37:26] | Were you never married, Brodie? | 你没结过婚吗 布罗蒂 |
[37:29] | Myself? No. | 我吗 没有 |
[37:31] | He went off to Australia. I missed my chance. | 他去了澳大利亚 我错过了机会 |
[37:35] | I shall never marry. | 我永远不会结婚 |
[37:38] | I know how men give you babies. | 我知道男人怎么让你生孩子 |
[37:41] | I sincerely hope you do not, Annie Darwin! | 我由衷地希望你不知道 安妮・达尔文 |
[37:47] | Everybody step back and look at the rock. | 大家往后退 看着岩石 |
[37:50] | If you look at it, really look at it, | 如果你看着它 好好看着它 |
[37:52] | It can take us back through time. | 它可以带我们穿越时间回到过去 |
[37:53] | See these greyish, muddy layers? | 看这些灰色的泥层 |
[37:57] | They were brought here by quiet, patient, gentle rivers, | 他们被静谧而温柔的河流带到此处 |
[38:01] | Whereas these dramatic sandstone deposits | 然而这些戏剧性的沙岩沉积 |
[38:04] | Are telling us of huge storms, | 告诉我们那些强烈风暴 |
[38:07] | Storms that came through here millions of years ago | 那些百万年前的强烈风暴 |
[38:10] | When aunt Sarah was just a little girl | 当萨拉姨妈只是个小女孩 |
[38:12] | And down village was a swamp full of dinosaurs. | 村庄里是一片充满恐龙的湿地 |
[38:16] | – What’s a dinosaur? – It’s a lizard… | -恐龙是什么 -类似于蜥蜴 |
[38:19] | Professor Owen invented them. | 欧文教授发明了它们 |
[38:21] | He didn’t exactly invent them. | 他并不是发明了它们 |
[38:23] | – They weren’t real! – Yes, they were. | -它们不是真的 -是 他们是真的 |
[38:25] | Put some clothes on! You’re going blue. | 穿上点衣服 你会感冒的 |
[38:27] | Look what I found! Spiny starfish! Don’t tell me. | 看我发现了什么 带刺的星星鱼 别告诉我 |
[38:33] | Marthasterias Gacialis, look! | 海里星 没错吧 |
[38:35] | Glacialis. | 是叫海星 |
[38:44] | I am fuegian! | 我是火地人 |
[38:54] | I’m making custard! | 我在做奶油蛋羹 |
[39:04] | He did, he told me! | 他跟我说过的 |
[39:07] | It is not fair to the other children, | 这对其他孩子不公平 |
[39:09] | Nor to Annie herself, | 对安妮也不公平 |
[39:11] | That her head be filled with these ideas. | 她的大脑填满了这些观念 |
[39:13] | But daddy said! | 但爸爸说过的 |
[39:15] | I will leave you to deal with this. | 我希望你处理这些问题 |
[39:16] | – He did, he told me! – Hush. | -他跟我说过的 -嘘 |
[39:18] | Goodbye, Annie. | 再见 安妮 |
[39:20] | What happened? | 出什么事了 |
[39:22] | Nothing. | 没事 |
[39:24] | Your knees. What happened to your knees? | 你的膝盖 你的膝盖怎么了 |
[39:27] | Reverend Innes had have words with her. | 英尼斯神父和她争吵起来 |
[39:30] | What happened to her knees? | 她膝盖怎么了 |
[39:31] | Reverend Innes sent me to | 英尼斯神父把我带到 |
[39:33] | The corner and made me kneel on rock salt. | 一个角落让我跪在岩盐上 |
[39:39] | – Why? – I said there were dinosaurs, | -为什么 -我说有恐龙 |
[39:43] | And he said there weren’t. | 他说没有恐龙这种东西 |
[39:44] | But there were because you found them! | 但是有 你发现了它们 |
[39:46] | Where’s my coat? | 我的外套在哪 |
[39:47] | Take her to the kitchen, find her some medicin, will you? | 带她去厨房 给她找点药 好吗 |
[39:49] | Where’s my coat? | 我的外套在哪 |
[39:52] | He told her to kneel until she repented, | 他让她一直跪到她忏悔为止 |
[39:54] | So the marks are a result of her own stubbornness. | 所以那些痕迹是她顽固的结果 |
[39:58] | She contradicted him repeatedly. | 她再三反驳他 |
[39:59] | Listen to yourself. Emma! | 听听你说了些什么 艾玛 |
[40:02] | How dare he torture our children | 他怎么敢因为我们的孩子 |
[40:04] | For expressing the plain and simple truth? | 说了最简单的真相就折磨她 |
[40:06] | It is not the truth as he sees it. | 那不是他认为的真相 |
[40:07] | Damn how he sees it! | 我管他认为什么是真相 |
[40:13] | Must our children be revolutionaries at nine years of age | 一定要我们的孩子在九岁就成为小革命者吗 |
[40:17] | He is teaching them to deny the evidence of their own senses. | 他在教他们否决自己看到的证据 |
[40:20] | No more than I have told them every night at bedtime. | 这同每晚睡前我跟他们讲的一样 |
[40:22] | It is the instruction of our parents and grandparents. | 这是我们作为父母和祖父母的教导 |
[40:25] | It’s what all of the village believe, | 这是我们整个村庄相信的 |
[40:27] | Or try to. | 或者努力相信的 |
[40:28] | Charles, Reverend Innes is | 查尔斯 英尼斯神父是我们 |
[40:30] | A dear friend and neighbour. | 亲密的朋友以及邻里 |
[40:33] | Please, do not set yourself against him. | 拜托别和他对立 |
[40:40] | I beg you. | 我求你了 |
[40:49] | For you. | 看在你的份上 |
[40:52] | Not for him. | 不是他 |
[41:01] | All things bright and beautiful, all creatures great and small. | 万物光明美丽 一切生物伟大且渺小 |
[41:07] | All things wise and wonderful. | 万物智慧且美好 |
[41:11] | The Lord God made them all | 上帝创造一切 |
[41:17] | Let us pray. | 我们低头祈祷 |
[41:28] | Lord God… we know the world is governed by thy plan… | 主啊 世界被您策划支配 |
[41:35] | …Extending to the merest creatures thou hast made, | 包括您创造的最微小的生物 |
[41:39] | Such that even a sparrow | 哪怕一只麻雀 |
[41:41] | Falls not to the ground without thy will. | 也是经由您的意志跌落在地 |
[41:47] | Teach us that all misfortune, all sickness and death, | 教给我们 一切的不幸 病痛和死亡 |
[41:53] | All the trials and miseries of which we daily complain… | 一切我们抱怨的磨炼与痛苦 |
[41:58] | …Are intended for our good… | 都是为我们着想 |
[42:02] | …Being not the whims of an uncaring universe… | 不要因毫无关爱的世界而充满奇想 |
[42:07] | …But the corrections of a wise… | 而应纠正自我 成为一名 |
[42:09] | And affectionate parent. | 明智且和蔼的长辈 |
[42:15] | Teach us this in thy name, O lord. | 奉你的名指引我们 |
[42:20] | – Amen. – Amen. | -阿门 -阿门 |
[42:25] | The lesson today is taken from the book of genesis. | 今天的课是创世纪部分 |
[42:29] | – Chapter one, verses 26 to 30. – Sorry. | -第一章 26到30行 -抱歉 |
[42:33] | – Excuse me. I’m so sorry. – And God said, | -不好意思 抱歉 -神说 |
[42:37] | “Let us make man in our image, | 我们要照着我们的形象 |
[42:39] | After our likeness.” | 按着我们的样式造人 |
[42:42] | “And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, | 使他们管理海里的鱼 |
[42:46] | And over the fowl of the air, | 空中的鸟 |
[42:48] | and over all the cattle and over all the earth, | 地上的牲畜和全地 |
[42:50] | And over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” | 并地上所爬的一切昆虫 |
[43:02] | Dearest Emma, | 至爱的艾玛 |
[43:04] | Last night you said I was at war with God, | 昨晚你说我在与上帝斗争 |
[43:06] | But truly it is | 但实在没什么 |
[43:08] | Nothing so dramatic as a war, | 如同战争一般激动人心 |
[43:10] | Just a silent struggle with | 只是我自己 |
[43:12] | Myself extended over a thousand afternoons. | 多于千个下午的自我挣扎 |
[43:16] | The loss of religious faith is | 宗教信仰的失去是 |
[43:18] | A slow and fragile process, | 一个缓慢且脆弱的过程 |
[43:20] | Like the raising of continents. | 如同大陆的升起 |
[43:23] | What can I say to you except | 除了对你说 这过程似乎已完成了 |
[43:27] | That the process now seems complete? | 我还能说什么呢 |
[44:59] | – What are we looking at? – See the rabbit? | -我们在看什么 -看见那只兔子了吗 |
[45:12] | Stay very still. | 别动 |
[45:32] | Make it stop. | 让它停下 |
[45:33] | Quickly, daddy, make it stop. | 快点 爸爸 让它停下 |
[45:36] | – Quickly! – Etty. Etty, darling. | -快点 -埃蒂 埃蒂 亲爱的 |
[45:39] | – Daddy, make it stop. – Ssh. Darling girl. | -爸爸 让它停下 -别出声 亲爱的 |
[45:42] | Dear girl. | 亲爱的孩子 |
[45:44] | – Dear sweet girl. – It’s not fair! | -亲爱的孩子 -那不公平 |
[45:49] | – It’s not fair! – I’m sorry. | -那不公平 -我很抱歉 |
[45:53] | – Not fair. – It’s not fair. | -不公平 -不公平 |
[45:56] | Etty, it has to be that way. | 埃蒂 必须得这样 |
[46:00] | The fox has to eat the rabbit, | 狐狸必须要吃掉兔子 |
[46:02] | Otherwise the fox’s babies will die. | 要不狐狸宝宝会死掉 |
[46:07] | It’s the balance of things. | 这是万物平衡 |
[46:12] | Come on, little duck. Give us a smile. | 快 小鸭子 笑一个 |
[46:33] | Dear Hooker, I am finally decided. | 亲爱的胡克 我最终决定 |
[46:39] | I think I owe it to my children | 我认为一切归功于我的孩子们 |
[46:41] | to at least have the courage of my own convictions. | 至少他们让我对自己确信的一切有勇气 |
[46:45] | My title will be “On the origin of species”, | 题目是《物种起源》 |
[46:49] | And I shall endeavour to keep God out of it, | 我会努力不提到上帝 |
[46:53] | Although no doubt he will see it as a personal attack. | 尽管毫无疑问他会认为这是人身攻击 |
[47:00] | Nothing is easier than to admit the truth | 没有什么比承认普遍的生存竞争 |
[47:04] | Of the universal struggle for life, | 这个事实更加容易 |
[47:06] | Or more difficult than | 也没有什么比持续 |
[47:08] | To constantly bear this in mind. | 将此埋藏在心更加困难 |
[47:11] | I shall devote my first | 我的第一章 |
[47:12] | chapter to variations under domestication, | 将献给家养状态下的变异 |
[47:16] | Wherein we will see | 在其中我们会看到 |
[47:18] | How great is the power of man | 人类在积聚微小变种的 |
[47:20] | In accumulating slight variations. | 能力上是多么伟大 |
[47:23] | I will then pass on to see | 我之后会讨论 |
[47:24] | How natural selection causes much extinction… | 自然选择如何导致 |
[47:28] | …of the less-improved forms of life. | 进化较慢物种的灭绝 |
[47:52] | – Charles? – Yes? | -查尔斯 -怎么 |
[47:58] | What is Lewis making? | 路易斯在做什么 |
[48:00] | He’s making a water tower like the one they have at Malvern. | 他在建一个和马尔文那样的水塔 |
[48:06] | The writing’s not been going well, | 我写的没什么进展 |
[48:08] | so I thought I might try my own water cure. | 我在想也许我该试试水疗 |
[48:12] | You’re still angry with me. | 你还在生我的气 |
[48:15] | I can always tell by your playing. | 我能从琴声里听出来 |
[48:20] | Not angry. Sad. | 不是生气 是悲伤 |
[49:19] | Pull. | 拉 |
[49:23] | The face of nature may be compared to a yielding surface | 自然界的表面好比一张柔软的曲面 |
[49:27] | With 10,000 sharp wedges packed close together | 上面布满了数以万计的尖锐的楔子 |
[49:30] | And then driven inwards by incessant blows. | 它们不断地受到击打 向内驱动 |
[49:33] | Sometimes one wedge being | 有时候一个楔子会被强大的外力击倒 |
[49:34] | struck and then another with great force. | 接着又是另外一个 |
[49:37] | The mind cannot possibly grasp the full meaning of the term | 这种说法也许无法完全阐明 |
[49:40] | A hundred million years. | 数百万年进化的意义 |
[49:42] | It cannot add up and perceive | 物种世代微小变异的全部效果 |
[49:44] | the full effects of many slight variations. | 是无法积累和感知的 |
[49:46] | We forget how largely these | 我们忘记了有多少歌唱的鸟 |
[49:48] | songsters or their eggs or their nestlings | 或是它们的蛋 它们的幼鸟 |
[49:51] | Are destroyed by birds and beasts of prey. | 是被食肉鸟和食肉兽所毁灭 |
[49:55] | Thus, over tens of thousands of generations, | 因此 数万代过去后 |
[49:58] | Tiny variations accumulate. | 这些微小的变异逐渐积累 |
[50:01] | Organs change their very function. | 器官改变了它们的功能 |
[50:03] | The female sexual organ becomes a cement gland. | 雌性生殖器官变成了粘腺 |
[50:07] | Limbs become blind feelers or fall away entirely. | 肢体变成触须或完全退化 |
[50:12] | What was once a free-swimming creature | 一旦自由游泳的生物 |
[50:15] | Finds itself glued by its head to a rock, | 发现它的头部被岩石粘住 |
[50:19] | blindly flailing for food. | 为了食物盲目的拍打 |
[50:21] | Papa! | 爸爸 |
[51:08] | Why is sweating supposed to be good for you? | 为什么你觉得出汗是件好事 |
[51:11] | Because it gets rid of the poisons in your blood. | 因为它能带走你血液中的毒素 |
[51:15] | – I thought you didn’t believe in sin. – I don’t. | -我以为你不相信罪过 -我是不相信 |
[51:20] | Not in the way reverend Innes understands it, anyway. | 但也不是英尼斯神父理解的那样 |
[51:24] | Then why are you afraid of going to hell? | 那你为什么害怕下地狱 |
[51:27] | – I’m not. – Yes, you are. | -我没有 -你有 |
[51:29] | – You think you deserve it. – No, I don’t. | -你觉得这是你罪有应得 -我没有 |
[51:31] | Of course I don’t. What could possibly make you think that? | 我当然没有 你怎么会这么想 |
[51:35] | Because you think you should never have had me. | 因为你觉得你最好没生过我 |
[51:42] | Oh, for god’s sake, girl. | 天呐 小姑娘 |
[51:44] | Oh, I don’t have to listen to this nonsense. | 我可不想听这些胡话 |
[51:47] | You’re cruel. You’re just being cruel. | 你真残忍 你变得好残忍 |
[51:49] | The girl’s gone mad. | 这个女孩疯了 |
[51:53] | That’s why you won’t talk to mama any more. | 所以你再也不和妈妈说话了 |
[51:55] | Enough of this. I talk to her. | 够了 我有和她说话 |
[51:57] | Of course I talk to her. | 我当然会和她说话 |
[51:58] | Not about the important things. | 说的都是无关紧要的事 |
[51:59] | Not about me! | 不是关于我的 |
[52:01] | Why must everything be about you? | 为什么所有的事都要与你有关 |
[52:03] | That’s what you won’t talk about. | 因为那是你不想说的事 |
[52:05] | – What? – How you think you’re responsible. | -不想说什么 -你是如何觉得自己该负责 |
[52:11] | Get out of here. | 出去 |
[52:15] | You get out of here. Get out of here. | 你快出去 出去 |
[52:19] | You said honesty was the most important thing in the world. | 你说过诚实是世上最重要的事 |
[52:22] | If you won’t be honest, I won’t come again. | 如果你不诚实 我就再不来了 |
[52:24] | It’ll serve you right! | 你活该受罪 |
[52:26] | Get out! Please, get out! Get out! | 出去 求你了 出去 |
[52:42] | You have not been well for months now. | 最近几个月你都不太好 |
[52:44] | I’ll be fine. I’m fine. | 我会没事的 我很好 |
[52:48] | – Will you talk to John Innes? – What about? | -你能和约翰・英尼斯谈谈吗 -谈什么 |
[52:51] | Whatever it is that ails you. | 折磨你的那些东西 |
[52:53] | What is he now, exactly? What is he? | 他现在干什么 有什么本事 |
[52:55] | He’s a physician, is he? | 他是内科医生吗 他是吗 |
[52:58] | Yes. A physician of souls, anyway. | 没错 最起码是灵魂的医生 |
[53:03] | Talk to him as a friend. You used to be such friends. | 就像朋友那样谈谈 你们曾经是好朋友 |
[53:10] | I think he can help you. | 我想他能帮你 |
[53:46] | Mr Darwin? Excuse me. | 达尔文先生 不好意思 |
[53:51] | Little ‘un coming through. Ah, mr darwin. | 借过 达尔文先生 |
[53:53] | I was just explaining to | 我正在给古德门先生解释 |
[53:55] | Mr Goodman about your interest in breeding. | 你有趣的饲养方法 |
[53:57] | Oh, good. Excellent. | 太棒了 |
[53:59] | Mr Goodman is our foremost | 古德门先生是我们南英格兰 |
[54:00] | pigeon fancier in all of southern england. | 最有名的鸽子专家 |
[54:03] | I swear, he can give you | 我发誓 他能在四代之内 |
[54:05] | any beak or plumage within four generations. | 给你培育出各种喙和翅膀 |
[54:08] | – What’s your secret? – I interbreed them. | -你有什么秘诀 -我让它们杂交 |
[54:12] | Brother and sister, cousin with cousin. | 兄妹之间 表亲之间 |
[54:14] | It’s the fastest way to alter the strain. | 这是改变血缘最快的方法 |
[54:17] | There’s a danger that you’ll weaken it, | 但也存在削弱它们能力的危险 |
[54:19] | but a gentleman like yourself, | 不过像您这样的绅士 |
[54:22] | I’m sure you can afford to lose a few chicks, eh? | 肯定能承受损失几只小鸟吧 |
[54:27] | Now, plenty of rest, young lady. | 现在好好休息 女士 |
[54:30] | Down you go. | 别起来 |
[54:33] | Keep her warm. | 盖暖一点 |
[54:34] | – Thank you, doctor. – Goodbye, Annie. | -谢谢你 医生 -再见 安妮 |
[54:37] | Goodbye. | 再见 |
[54:43] | Unfortunately, if we let them run wild on the beach, | 很遗憾 如果总让他们在海滩上疯跑 |
[54:46] | We have to expect the consequences, | 就会是这样的结果 |
[54:48] | do we not, mrs Darwin? | 对吧 达尔文夫人 |
[54:50] | So, increase the calomel to twice… | 甘汞增加到一天两次 |
[54:52] | I will not give her any more of it. | 我不想再给她吃这个了 |
[54:54] | – Why not? – She’s been taking it for weeks. | -为什么不 -她已经吃了好几周了 |
[54:56] | Can you not see she’s not… It is chloride of mercury. | 你没看到她没有… 这是氯化汞 |
[54:59] | I’ve prescribed it often in babies. | 我经常开给儿童服用 |
[55:01] | Not to any of mine. | 别给我的孩子开 |
[55:02] | If she would submit to being bled… | 如果她能乖乖放血的话… |
[55:05] | Please, no. | 求你了 别这样 |
[55:08] | I will write to Dr Gully again. | 我会再给加里医生写封信 |
[55:10] | The hydrotherapist? | 那个水疗专家 |
[55:11] | I have found his treatments very effective. | 我发现他的治疗非常有效 |
[55:14] | No matter that they defy logic? | 不管他们是否忽视逻辑 |
[55:15] | Logic isn’t everything. | 逻辑不是一切 |
[55:18] | Clearly not. | 显然不是 |
[55:20] | – I’ll see myself out. Good day, madam. – Good day. | -请留步 日安 夫人 -日安 |
[55:28] | I should take her to Malvern to be treated as I was. | 我应该带她去马尔文接受同样的治疗 |
[55:31] | It is better she’s here. | 她在这更好 |
[55:33] | She needs her family. She needs love and rest. | 她需要和家人在一起 需要关爱和休息 |
[55:37] | She’ll get well. | 她会好起来的 |
[55:41] | One more week. | 最多一星期 |
[55:45] | We’ll watch her for one more week. Alright? | 我们最多再观察她一个星期 好吗 |
[55:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[56:35] | Papa! | 爸爸 |
[58:00] | Post for you, sir. | 你的信 先生 |
[58:02] | This one’s from the spice islands. | 从香料岛寄来的 |
[58:39] | Charles. | 查尔斯 |
[58:43] | Charles, my old friend, there you are. | 查尔斯 我的老朋友 你在这 |
[58:45] | May I join you? | 我可以坐下吗 |
[58:48] | Yes. Yes, of course. | 好的 当然 |
[58:57] | Mrs Darwin has told me about the book you are writing. | 达尔文夫人和我谈了你写的那本书 |
[59:01] | Oh, no, no, not any more. Thank goodness. | 谢天谢地 别再多说了 |
[59:04] | You mean you finished it? | 你是说你写完了 |
[59:07] | It’s been finished for me, actually. | 实际上对我来说已经写完了 |
[59:09] | A Mr Alfred Russel Wallace has arrived independently | 一位名叫阿尔弗莱德・拉塞尔・华莱士的先生 |
[59:13] | At exactly the same opinion. | 和我有同样的见解 |
[59:17] | Expressed in a… | 写在一份… |
[59:20] | In a mere 20 pages. | 一份20几页的书稿上 |
[59:23] | Now, there’s brevity for you. | 对你来说够简练 |
[59:27] | I had covered 250 so far and come to a dead end, | 我已经写了250页 快结尾了 |
[59:30] | So whilst having wasted 20 | 虽然我在这个课题上 |
[59:33] | years on the project, I am at least rid of it. | 浪费了20年 但至少我摆脱它了 |
[59:40] | Well. | 没错 |
[59:45] | Well… | 那么… |
[59:47] | …the lord moves in mysterious ways. | 主选择了难解的方式 |
[59:53] | Hmm, yes, he does, doesn’t he? | 是啊 可不就是吗 |
[59:58] | You know, I was remarking only the other day | 你知道 前几天我就在阐述 |
[1:00:00] | how he has endowed us in all of his blessed generosity | 他如何用神圣的仁爱之心赋予我们 |
[1:00:05] | With not one but 900 species of intestinal worm, | 900种肠道寄生菌 |
[1:00:08] | Each with its own unique method of infiltrating the mucosa | 他们用自己独特的方式渗透粘膜 |
[1:00:12] | And burrowing through to the bloodstream. | 进入到血液中去 |
[1:00:15] | And on the love that he shows for butterflies | 他的爱也送给了蝴蝶 |
[1:00:19] | by inventing a wasp that lays | 为它们创造了可以寄生幼卵的 |
[1:00:21] | its eggs inside the living flesh of caterpillars. | 黄蜂幼虫 |
[1:00:24] | I have said on many occasions, | 我讲过很多次 |
[1:00:26] | it is not for us to speculate at his reason. | 我们无法揣测主的圣意 |
[1:00:28] | No, we can leave that to Mr Wallace. | 不 我们可以把这个难题留给华莱士先生 |
[1:00:32] | Shall I advise him to stay abroad, do you think? | 我应该建议他留在国外 你觉得呢 |
[1:00:36] | With his opinions, if he shows his face around here, | 以他的观点 如果他在这露面 |
[1:00:39] | He may be required to kneel on rock salt. | 他也许必须跪在岩盐上 |
[1:00:57] | I always valued our friendship. | 我一直很珍惜我们的友谊 |
[1:01:02] | Until now, I regarded you as one of those rare mortals | 直到现在 我都把你当做极少数 |
[1:01:06] | With whom one could disagree | 和我意见不同 |
[1:01:08] | and yet feel no shade of animosity. | 但我却不会心生憎恨的人 |
[1:01:13] | Sadly, that feeling is… no longer reciprocated. | 可悲的是这种感觉不会再有回应了 |
[1:01:38] | What? | 什么 |
[1:01:42] | I’m forestalled by Wallace. | 华莱士先发制人了 |
[1:01:44] | What have I done? What? | 我做了什么 什么 |
[1:01:47] | What possible… what | 有什么可能的… |
[1:01:48] | possible reason could you have to be angry at me? | 可能的原因惹你生气了 |
[1:01:54] | Annie. | 安妮 |
[1:01:57] | Annie! Annie! Come here! Come back! | 安妮 过来 回来 |
[1:02:00] | Come back here now! | 快回来 |
[1:02:04] | I am your father! You… you come back here! What? | 我是你爸爸 你快回来 什么 |
[1:02:09] | What did I do? What did I do to you? What? | 我做什么了 我对你做什么了 什么 |
[1:02:14] | Annie! C-come here! Come back! | 安妮 过来 回来 |
[1:02:19] | What did I do to you? Please! Annie, please! | 我对你做什么了 拜托 安妮 求你了 |
[1:02:23] | Come here! Annie! Annie! Come here! | 回来 安妮 回来 |
[1:02:42] | Get rid of them. | 把这些扔掉 |
[1:02:46] | Get rid of all of them. | 快扔掉 |
[1:02:52] | Come on. Get out! | 快 出去 |
[1:02:55] | Get out! | 出去 |
[1:02:58] | Go! Come on! | 走 快点 |
[1:03:00] | Get out! Go! | 出去 快点 |
[1:03:03] | Go! | 走 |
[1:03:11] | Mr Darwin. Mr… mr darwin. | 达尔文先生 达尔文先生 |
[1:03:14] | Mr darwin, sir! | 达尔文先生 先生 |
[1:03:16] | Mr darwin? | 达尔文先生 |
[1:03:19] | I’ll have Lewis dismantle it, sir. | 先生 我会让路易斯来拆的 |
[1:03:22] | Now, Mr Darwin, I’ll send for Dr Holland. | 达尔文先生 我去请荷兰德医生 |
[1:03:27] | God, no. | 上帝啊 不 |
[1:03:31] | God damn it. | 该死的 |
[1:03:33] | Damn it all to hell. | 都见鬼去吧 |
[1:03:38] | Mr Darwin? | 达尔文先生 |
[1:03:41] | Help me here! Help me here! | 快来人啊 快来人啊 |
[1:03:51] | So, increase the calomel to twice a day. | 甘汞增加到一天两次 |
[1:03:55] | – Yes, of course. – Keep him warm, plenty of rest… | -好的 -注意保暖 好好休息… |
[1:04:10] | I think papa’s going to die, too. | 我想爸爸也要死了 |
[1:04:32] | Oh. Hello, Hooker. Hello. | 你好 胡克 |
[1:04:37] | Still talking. | 你还能说话 |
[1:04:39] | That’s good. Word had reached | 太好了 伦敦有消息说 |
[1:04:40] | London you’d suffered an apoplectic stroke. | 你中风了 |
[1:04:43] | Your enemies are celebrating at the Athenaeum. | 你的敌人正在雅典神庙里庆祝呢 |
[1:04:46] | I have no enemies. | 我没有敌人 |
[1:04:52] | – This is the Wallace letter? – Yes. | -这是华莱士的信 -是的 |
[1:04:55] | Well, he has 20 pages. | 他写了20页 |
[1:04:58] | You have a whole book, or at least half of one. | 你写了一本书 起码也有半本 |
[1:05:01] | I intend to extract the other | 我打算把另一部分摘抄下来 |
[1:05:02] | Even if it kills us both. | 即使它会让我们俩送命 |
[1:05:04] | Have you been talking to Huxley again? | 你还和赫胥黎谈过吗 |
[1:05:06] | No. Had I been, he’d be here | 没有 如果谈了 |
[1:05:08] | himself with a cat-o’-nine-tails. Up you come. | 他就会亲自带一条九尾鞭来 快起来 |
[1:05:10] | No, I cannot. I know not what ails me, | 我起不来 我不知道得了什么病 |
[1:05:12] | but it’s more than I can endure. | 我快受不了了 |
[1:05:14] | Bosh! You have had this illness | 胡说 我认识你的时候 |
[1:05:16] | As long as I have known you. | 你就有这种病 |
[1:05:19] | It’s worse in times of overwork, | 过度工作让病情加剧了 |
[1:05:21] | But it has nothing to do with your soul, | 虽然你的灵魂寄居在你的身体里 |
[1:05:23] | wherever that resides now. | 这也和它毫无关系 |
[1:05:25] | – Go and get yourself treated. – I cannot. | -治好你自己的病 -我不行 |
[1:05:27] | Believe me, you do have enemies. | 相信我 你有敌人 |
[1:05:30] | I’ll bet half the nation would see you burnt at the stake | 我打赌如果他们知道你在写什么 |
[1:05:33] | If they knew what you were writing, | 全国有一半的人想看你受火刑 |
[1:05:34] | but you have friends, too, | 但是你也有朋友 |
[1:05:36] | And all of us are fighting the same battle. | 我们所有人都在战斗 |
[1:05:39] | And we can win this in our lifetimes. | 用我们毕生精力来赢得胜利 |
[1:05:40] | We have to win this. | 我们必须要赢 |
[1:05:42] | I implore you, go to Malvern, | 我求你了 去马尔文吧 |
[1:05:44] | Take your blessed water cure, | 去接受水疗 |
[1:05:46] | Come back and win it for us. | 回来后为我们赢得胜利 |
[1:06:14] | She’s nearly ready. | 她马上就好了 |
[1:06:16] | Thank you. Move those quickly, please. | 谢谢 请把这些快点搬走 |
[1:06:18] | – I want to come with you. – No. | -我想和你一起去 -不行 |
[1:06:21] | – Malvern’s not so far. – Parslow! It’s two days by coach. | -马尔文又不远 -坐火车要两天呢 |
[1:06:24] | What if the baby comes early? | 如果孩子提前出生呢 |
[1:06:26] | They have doctors there. | 那有医生 |
[1:06:27] | Your job is here with the children. | 你的任务是留在这照顾孩子 |
[1:06:29] | They also need their father. | 他们也需要父亲 |
[1:06:31] | I can’t care about the other children now. | 我现在不能照顾其他孩子 |
[1:06:33] | I can only care about Annie! | 只能照顾安妮 |
[1:06:37] | Mind her shawl, make sure it’s tucked in. | 当心她的披肩 给她围好 |
[1:06:41] | Alright, thank you. Thank you. Alright, little frog. | 好的 谢谢 好了 小青蛙 |
[1:06:46] | I made these. It’s annie’s favourite. | 我做了这些 这是安妮最爱吃的 |
[1:06:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:06:51] | You will see your mama when you’re well again. | 你好了以后就能又看到妈妈了 |
[1:06:53] | – Brodie, get aboard. – No! No! | -布罗蒂 上车 -不 不 |
[1:06:55] | – Say goodbye, now. – No, I don’t want to say goodbye! | -说再见吧 -不 我不想说再见 |
[1:06:59] | – Say goodbye now. – No, I’m going with you. | -快说再见 -不 我要和你一起去 |
[1:07:04] | I’m going with you. Wait there! Wait for me! | 我要和你们一起去 在这等我 |
[1:07:19] | Go! Go now. | 走 现在就出发 |
[1:07:24] | Walk on. | 走啦 |
[1:08:04] | Mr Darwin, old friend. Mr darwin. | 达尔文先生 老朋友 |
[1:08:07] | How long has it been? I haven’t clapped eyes on you since… | 我们有多久没见了 上一次看到是还是 |
[1:08:12] | Well… so, what have we now? What have we now? | 我们现在该干什么呢 |
[1:08:21] | Tongue? Hmm-hm. | 舌头我看看 |
[1:08:24] | Shirt up. Let me feel your liver. | 把衬衣掀起来 看看你的肝 |
[1:08:32] | Right. Up. | 好的 起来 |
[1:08:35] | Pulse hectic, tongue furred, liver tender and enlarged. | 脉搏紊乱 有舌苔 肝脏虚弱肥大 |
[1:08:40] | And obviously you’ve been | 很明显 你把上帝给你的时间 |
[1:08:41] | exercising your brain every hour that god gave you. | 全部用来锻炼大脑了 |
[1:08:45] | – I have been writing a book. – Madness! | -我写了一本书 -你疯了 |
[1:08:47] | There are far too many of those already. | 这一切都太费神了 |
[1:08:50] | – Are you sleeping? – Poorly. | -睡眠怎么样 -很不好 |
[1:08:53] | And I suppose never taking the 50c dilution of chelidonium? | 我猜你从没用过50%浓度的白屈菜 |
[1:08:57] | I had my carpenter build a water tower. | 我让木匠盖了座水塔 |
[1:09:00] | It no longer has any effect. | 可一点用也没有 |
[1:09:02] | Of course not! Your carpenter isn’t a hydrotherapist. | 当然没用 你的木匠又不是医生 |
[1:09:05] | – What on earth possessed you? – I feared I was dying. | -到底是什么让你发疯一样 -我害怕死去 |
[1:09:09] | Oh, come, come, come. We shall not have that talk here. | 不 拜托 我们不谈这个 |
[1:09:13] | A sharp spinal scrub, cold douche daily at 7:00am, | 脊椎擦洗 每天7点冷水冲洗 |
[1:09:18] | And sweating by the lamp. | 然后蒸烤发汗 |
[1:09:21] | No red meat, no reading, | 不吃牛羊肉 不看书 |
[1:09:23] | No mental agitation of any kind. | 不做任何脑力劳动 |
[1:09:26] | We shall soon have you right, | 你很快就会好的 |
[1:09:28] | Mr Darwin. We shall soon have you right. | 达尔文先生 很快就会好的 |
[1:10:16] | Papa? I think I’m feeling better now. Honestly. | 爸爸 我现在好多了 真的 |
[1:11:17] | Papa! | 爸爸 |
[1:12:08] | Sir, I kneel before you in all humility. | 主啊 我谦卑地跪在您面前 |
[1:12:16] | If it is in your power, god, to save her… | 如果您有神力 请救她 |
[1:12:21] | …then I will believe in you for the rest of my days. | 我会用余生虔诚信奉您 |
[1:12:29] | Take me, if you must take someone, but not her. She… | 带我走吧 如果必须有人死 不要是她 |
[1:12:38] | She’s such a good little girl, you see. She… | 您瞧 她是如此可爱的小女孩 她 |
[1:12:54] | I ask this in the name of your child and mine | 我以圣子之名和我的孩子 |
[1:12:56] | And in the name of all children. | 以及所有孩子的名义请求您 |
[1:13:01] | Thank you. Amen. | 谢谢 阿门 |
[1:13:08] | With what do you most associate these symptoms? | 你做什么的时候会出现这些症状 |
[1:13:10] | Eating? | 吃饭时 |
[1:13:14] | Strong emotion? Physical exertion? | 情绪激动时 剧烈运动时 |
[1:13:18] | Any particular action? | 还是一些特殊行为 |
[1:13:21] | – Is… is memory an action? – Memory of what? | -回忆算是一种行为吗 -什么回忆 |
[1:13:28] | – My daughter. – Of course. | -关于我女儿的 -当然 |
[1:13:34] | You must accept there was nothing more to be done. | 你必须承认你尽力了 |
[1:13:42] | Oh, dear fellow… she is in heaven. | 亲爱的朋友 她在天堂里 |
[1:13:50] | Yes, that’s what my wife believes. | 是啊 我妻子也这么认为 |
[1:13:54] | It is a great consolation to her. | 对她来说是个巨大的安慰 |
[1:13:57] | But not you? | 但你不是 |
[1:14:00] | She and I are divided on it. | 她和我有分歧 |
[1:14:03] | – Were you always? – No. | -你们以前也经常这样吗 -不 |
[1:14:07] | Only since Annie died. | 安妮去世后才这样 |
[1:14:13] | Whoa, there. | 到了 |
[1:14:19] | Charles, I’m… I’m so very sorry about Annie. | 查尔斯 对于安妮的死我很难过 |
[1:14:24] | – Where is she? – In the lady Chapel. | -她在哪里 -在圣母堂 |
[1:14:27] | Thank you. Thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[1:15:05] | Since that time, she has | 从那之后 她就 |
[1:15:07] | sought refuge in religion, and I in science. | 向宗教寻求慰藉 而我则向科学寻找答案 |
[1:15:12] | Has this division… affected your marital relations? | 这种分歧影响到你们的婚姻关系了吗 |
[1:15:22] | We have none any more… to speak of. | 我们已经无话可说了 |
[1:15:28] | Perhaps that’s for the best. | 也许这样也好 |
[1:15:31] | Meaning? | 你的意思是 |
[1:15:36] | Our last baby… | 我们最小的孩子 |
[1:15:41] | Baby Ch… baby Charlie. He barely survived beyond infancy and… | 查理 很早就夭折了 |
[1:15:52] | Are you familiar with the writings of De Quincey? | 你熟悉德昆西的作品吗 |
[1:15:56] | Yes, I… i’ve read him. | 是的 我读过他的书 |
[1:15:59] | I have no time for the man. | 我不想谈他 |
[1:16:02] | He maintains that certain thoughts | 他认为潜意识在我们不经意时 |
[1:16:06] | can reside in our mind… …without us being aware of them. | 就能根治于我们的内心 |
[1:16:10] | They then may manifest as boils | 然后他们化身为疥疮鬼魂 |
[1:16:15] | And fainting spells… and ghosts. | 让人昏厥 |
[1:16:25] | It’s po… it’s possible, yes. | 是的 有可能 |
[1:16:29] | Annie is buried here in Malvern, is she not? | 安妮葬在马尔文 对吧 |
[1:16:38] | – Yes. – And have you yet visited the grave? | -是的 -你去祭奠过她吗 |
[1:16:49] | – I really do not wish to discuss this. – Of course… | -我真的不想谈这个 -当然 |
[1:16:52] | – What possible bearing can it have? – It has every bearing. | -这有什么关系 -这很重要 |
[1:16:56] | That is your opinion. | 那是你一厢情愿的看法 |
[1:16:57] | Your treatments have been effective. I feel cured. | 你的治疗很有效 我觉得我已经好的 |
[1:17:00] | I think not, sir. | 先生 我不这么认为 |
[1:17:03] | I think you’re not yet cured. | 我觉得你还没有痊愈 |
[1:17:06] | – Do you have faith, Mr Darwin? – What? | -达尔文先生 你有信仰吗 -什么 |
[1:17:10] | You say you take no comfort from religion, | 你说宗教并不能安慰你 |
[1:17:14] | but do you have faith? | 那你有信仰吗 |
[1:17:19] | Until you do, all the waters | 除非你有信仰 否则世界上所有的水 |
[1:17:21] | in the world will not be the cure of you. | 都治愈不了你 |
[1:18:17] | Annie? | 安妮 |
[1:18:21] | Annie! Annie! | 安妮 安妮 |
[1:18:26] | Annie! | 安妮 |
[1:18:28] | Annie! | 安妮 |
[1:18:31] | Annie! | 安妮 |
[1:19:07] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[1:19:15] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[1:19:27] | Hello? Hello? | 有人吗 |
[1:19:32] | – Good evening. – Good evening. | -晚上好 -晚上好 |
[1:19:34] | I’m Mr Darwin. I lodged here some time ago. | 我是达尔文 我前段时间在这住过 |
[1:19:37] | Room number 12, wasn’t it? | 12号房 对吧 |
[1:19:40] | Yes, it was. | 是的 |
[1:19:45] | I would only be ten minutes or so. | 只要10分钟就好 |
[1:19:51] | First floor. | 第一层 |
[1:19:53] | – Last room on the right. – Yes, I remember. | -右边最后一间 -是的 我记得 |
[1:19:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:20:22] | I have the embrocation. | 我带了药膏 |
[1:20:27] | Does she want for anything else? | 她还需要其他东西吗 |
[1:20:28] | No, I’m sure that will do admirably. | 不用了 有这个就够了 |
[1:20:31] | Alright. Alright, little one. | 好了 小家伙 |
[1:20:35] | Here we go. Now, then. | 好了 来 |
[1:20:41] | Just rub this on. | 把这个涂上就好了 |
[1:20:44] | – How’s that? Better? – Yes. | -感觉怎么样 好点了吗 -好点了 |
[1:20:51] | Dearest Emma, I think it | 亲爱的艾玛 我想我应该 |
[1:20:53] | best for you to know how each day passes. | 告诉你我们是如果如何度过每一天的 |
[1:20:57] | Doctor Gully’s treatments are having some effect at last. | 加里医生的治疗最终还是见效了 |
[1:21:01] | I will write again tomorrow, but in the meantime… | 我明天要重新开始写作了 但同时 |
[1:21:04] | The surgeon came today to draw off Annie’s water. | 医生今天来给安妮抽脓水 |
[1:21:08] | This did not hurt her, and seemed to give much relief. | 这没有伤到她 倒是缓解了她的痛苦 |
[1:21:13] | I asked if there was any immediate threat to her life, | 我问医生她是否还有生命危险 |
[1:21:16] | But he believes she has turned the corner. | 他认为她正在好转 |
[1:21:21] | My Emma, Annie rallied yesterday. | 我亲爱的艾玛 安妮昨天好些了 |
[1:21:26] | For a moment, | 就那么一小会儿 |
[1:21:28] | I was foolish with delight, but now, suddenly, | 我还兴高采烈的 但是现在 |
[1:21:31] | Our dear child has taken a turn for the worse. | 我们宝贝女儿的病情恶化了 |
[1:21:33] | This last attack was first | 开始认为这次病情发作 |
[1:21:35] | thought to be of the smallest importance | 并不严重 |
[1:21:37] | But rapidly assumed the form of a low and dreadful fever. | 但很快就出现了可怕的低烧状况 |
[1:21:42] | She talks a great deal, | 她迷迷糊糊说了很多 |
[1:21:44] | but we can seldom make out anything. | 但我们都不知道她在说什么 |
[1:21:46] | Look, mama, I’m a general! | 妈妈 快看 我是将军 |
[1:21:52] | Much of what she says we cannot make out | 可怜的她嘴里说出话大多数含糊不清 |
[1:21:54] | from the roughness of her poor mouth. | 我们也不知道是什么意思 |
[1:21:58] | – We sponged her with water and vinegar. – There we are. | -我们用水和醋擦拭她的身体 -好了 |
[1:22:01] | – Made her sweet with chloride of lime. – Alright. | -我们用漂白粉让她保持清洁 -行了 |
[1:22:04] | Gully thinks our poor, sweet child is in imminent danger. | 加里认为我们可怜的宝贝病情十分危险 |
[1:22:08] | Is that better, my darling? Is that better? | 好点了吗 亲爱的 好点了吗 |
[1:22:11] | Beautifully good. | 非常好 |
[1:22:16] | I’m making custard. | 我在做奶油蛋羹 |
[1:22:25] | My darling Emma, I miss you, terribly. | 亲爱的艾玛 我非常想念你 |
[1:22:28] | More now than ever. | 从未如此想念过你 |
[1:22:30] | I often think of the precious looks Annie gives you. | 我时常想起安妮对你的描述 |
[1:22:34] | You were always the tenderest of human beings to her | 你是那么温和地对待她 |
[1:22:37] | And comfort her so on all occasions. | 在任何时候都那么呵护她 |
[1:22:40] | This dreadful alternation of hope and no hope sickens the soul. | 希望的破灭啃噬着我的灵魂 |
[1:22:46] | I feel we must prepare ourselves for the worst. | 我觉得我们必须做好心理准备 |
[1:22:56] | Tell me about Jenny. | 我要听珍妮的故事 |
[1:23:07] | What about Jenny? | 珍妮的什么故事 |
[1:23:09] | Ab… about how she dies. | 她是怎么死的 |
[1:23:18] | Please, papa. I like it. | 求你了 爸爸 我喜欢听 |
[1:23:26] | Well… what the keeper told me was this. | 饲养员给我说 |
[1:23:32] | When she was very sick with pneumonia, lying very still… | 她患了很严重的肺炎 直直地躺在那 |
[1:23:40] | …he tried to feed her with a spoon. | 他试着用勺子喂她吃东西 |
[1:23:47] | But she shook her head and she looked at him | 但是她摇头然后看着他 |
[1:23:51] | As if to say… | 好像在说 |
[1:23:54] | …”that’s very sweet of you. Really.” | “你真是个好人 |
[1:24:00] | “We’re beyond that now.” | 我们超越了物种界限” |
[1:24:06] | And the keeper was much | 饲养员 |
[1:24:08] | moved by the gentleness of the little ape. | 被那只小小的猿猴深深地感动了 |
[1:24:13] | And as he bent down to comfort her, | 他弯下身抚摸她 |
[1:24:17] | She brought her arms up around his neck… | 她抱住他的脖子 |
[1:24:21] | …and looked into his eyes in the most human fashion. | 用人类一样的眼光凝视着他的眼睛 |
[1:24:31] | And then she laid her head against him… | 然后她躺在他怀中 |
[1:24:39] | …and died. | 死了 |
[1:25:29] | Oh, my darling girl, my darling girl! | 宝贝 我的宝贝 |
[1:26:23] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:26:26] | So sorry I startled you. | 对不起 吓着你了 |
[1:26:30] | Godness, Charles. Take off your coat. | 谢天谢地 查尔斯 把外套脱了 |
[1:26:33] | – You’re dripping wet. – Emma, we need to talk. | -你都湿透了 -艾玛 我们需要谈谈 |
[1:26:38] | I went back to Worcester Road. | 我回到伍斯特路去了 |
[1:26:42] | I saw Annie. | 我看到安妮了 |
[1:26:47] | You’re hurting my arm. | 你捏疼我的手臂了 |
[1:26:49] | I need to make you understand what happened to … | 我希望你能明白过去发生的事 |
[1:26:52] | I do not want to hear it. | 我不想听 |
[1:26:53] | – I am glad you’re feeling better. – You’re not listening. | -很高兴你好点了 -你根本没在听 |
[1:26:56] | Emma, I need you to listen | 艾玛 我希望你能听一下 |
[1:26:58] | if you don’t you will never understand. | 如果你不听你就永远不会明白 |
[1:26:59] | I understand perfectly. | 我非常清楚 |
[1:27:00] | Do you think that I am deaf and blind? | 你以为我聋了瞎了吗 |
[1:27:03] | You’ve lived with her and | 你一直生活在她的阴影下 |
[1:27:05] | spoken with her every day since she died. | 自从她死后你就每天跟她讲话 |
[1:27:07] | She is more real to you than we are. | 比起我们她更真实 |
[1:27:10] | – She is dead, Charles. – I know she’s dead. | -她已经死了 查尔斯 -我知道 |
[1:27:13] | She is dead! | 她死了 |
[1:27:16] | What in god’s name is wrong with you? | 你到底是怎么回事 |
[1:27:18] | Why can you not leave our poor girl in her grave? | 你为什么就不能让她安息呢 |
[1:27:22] | You’re the one who wants to keep her alive, | 你才是希望她继续活着的人 |
[1:27:25] | But on a cloud, dancing with little fairies. | 只不过是晚上在云端和精灵们跳着舞 |
[1:27:28] | I will not listen to this! | 我不听这些 |
[1:27:29] | In a night shift and snowy wings! | 她还有雪白的翅膀 |
[1:27:31] | Is that how her death was for you, Emma? | 艾玛 她的死对于你就意味着这些吗 |
[1:27:33] | – Something gutted of darkness? – Get away from me. | -就意味着在黑暗里伤心 -滚开 |
[1:27:36] | Away from you? There is a gulf between us! | 滚开 我们之间横着一条沟壑 |
[1:27:39] | We’re like some, some survivors of some shipwreck. | 我们就像是海难的生还者 |
[1:27:42] | Yes! Yes, because of you! You’ve torn everything apart! | 是的 就是因为你 你毁了一切 |
[1:27:46] | – How? How? How? – With your cruel theories! | -我怎么了 -就是你适者生存的理论 |
[1:27:50] | With the truth, Emma! Just with the truth! | 艾玛 那是事实 那就是事实 |
[1:27:53] | Open the door! Open the… open the door! | 开门 开门 |
[1:27:56] | Open this door! Open it! | 开门 打开 |
[1:28:03] | What do you want from me? | 你想怎么样 |
[1:28:05] | I want us to be honest with each other. | 我希望我们能坦诚相对 |
[1:28:07] | About what? | 坦诚什么 |
[1:28:08] | About this… nagging belief that you have nurtured. | 关于你一直抱怨的 |
[1:28:13] | – That what? – That I killed her. | -关于什么 -抱怨是我害了她 |
[1:28:18] | I never said that. | 我从没那么说过 |
[1:28:19] | But you think it, so you must say it. | 但你就是这么想的 所以你必须说出来 |
[1:28:22] | And say everything else that follows, | 把接下来所有的都说出来 |
[1:28:24] | That I should have kept her warm that day on the beach, that… | 说我那天在沙滩应该让她穿好衣服 |
[1:28:30] | …I should never have taken her to Malvern without you. | 说我不该一个人带她去马尔文 |
[1:28:36] | I should have waited for you. I… I should have. | 我应该等你 应该等你 |
[1:28:42] | These are your thoughts, Charles. | 那只是你的想法 查尔斯 |
[1:28:45] | They are not mine. | 我没那么想 |
[1:28:51] | I was on the beach. | 我那天也在沙滩上 |
[1:28:56] | And I let you go. | 我也没管你 |
[1:29:01] | I knew, when you left for Malvern… | 我知道你们一旦去了马尔文 |
[1:29:07] | …that I would never see her again. | 我将永远见不到她了 |
[1:29:10] | And I hated you. | 我恨你 |
[1:29:14] | I hated you for taking her, Charles. | 我恨你带走她 查尔斯 |
[1:29:18] | But I was her mother. | 我是她的母亲啊 |
[1:29:22] | And what was I thinking? I could have insisted. | 我那时在想什么 我本该坚持的 |
[1:29:30] | I should have followed you up there. | 我本该跟你去的 |
[1:29:38] | I let her go. | 我就那么让她走了 |
[1:29:44] | That’s the truth. | 这就是事实 |
[1:29:49] | And more than anything… | 而且 |
[1:29:53] | …I have… | 我应该 |
[1:29:56] | …hated… myself. | 恨自己 |
[1:30:09] | Perhaps… | 也许 |
[1:30:17] | Perhaps we should never have married. | 也许我们就不该结婚 |
[1:30:24] | Our blood was too close. | 我们血缘关系太近了 |
[1:30:35] | You see, Emma… I thought | 艾玛 我以为 |
[1:30:37] | that we were making the perfect child. | 我们生育了一个完美的孩子 |
[1:30:52] | But perhaps instead we | 也许相反 |
[1:30:53] | endowed her with the weakness that killed her. | 是我们给了她虚弱的身体 从而害了她 |
[1:31:04] | I just… wanted to be with you so very much. | 我当时就是一心想和你在一起 |
[1:31:24] | The fact… of it is… | 事实如此 |
[1:31:31] | …knowing everything I now know… | 我现在只知道 |
[1:31:38] | …I would marry you again tomorrow, my love. | 如果再重新来一次我还是会嫁给你 亲爱的 |
[1:33:31] | The affinities of all beings of the same class | 同一类生物的亲缘关系 |
[1:33:34] | have sometimes been represented by a great tree. | 有时候可以用一棵大树来描述 |
[1:33:38] | The green and budding twigs may represent existing species, | 绿色的部分和树枝可以代表现存物种 |
[1:33:41] | And those produced during each former year | 那些每年落下的枝叶 |
[1:33:44] | may represent the long succession of extinct species. | 就代表着一连串的灭绝物种 |
[1:33:47] | So, I believe it has been with the great tree of life, | 所以 我认为是这些一直伴随着生命之树 |
[1:33:51] | Which fills with its dead | 它穿透覆盖在地表的 |
[1:33:53] | and broken branches the crust of the earth, | 层层折断或死去的枝叶 |
[1:33:56] | While covering the surface with its… | 生长出来 |
[1:33:58] | The frameworks of bones have been the same | 人类手的 |
[1:34:02] | in the hand of a man, wing of a bat, | 骨骼架构就跟 蝙蝠的翅膀 |
[1:34:04] | fin of a porpoise and leg of a horse | 海豚的鳍 马的腿一样 |
[1:34:06] | At once explain themselves on the theory of descent | 这立刻就能解释他们 |
[1:34:09] | with slow and slight successive… | 一代代缓慢的进化 |
[1:34:11] | It is interesting to contemplate an entangled bank, | 思考一个纷繁复杂的系统很有趣 |
[1:34:15] | Clothed with many plants of many kinds, | 这个系统有着各种现象 |
[1:34:17] | with birds singing on the bushes, | 鸟儿在树上歌唱 |
[1:34:19] | with various insects flitting about | 无数的昆虫轻快地掠过 |
[1:34:21] | And with worms crawling through the damp earth | 虫子在潮湿的地方爬行 |
[1:34:25] | And to reflect that these elaborately constructed forms, | 这些被精巧设计的物种 |
[1:34:28] | So different from each other and dependent upon each other | 互不相同 |
[1:34:31] | in so complex a manner, | 又复杂地相互依赖 |
[1:34:33] | have all been produced by laws acting around us. | 我们周围的世界都被自然法则统治着 |
[1:34:44] | “Advancing gently forward over my breast, | “慢慢朝我的胸腔压过来 |
[1:34:47] | came almost up to my chin, | 几乎抵到了我的下巴 |
[1:34:48] | And bending my eyes downwards as much as I could, | 我尽可能的闭上双眼 |
[1:34:50] | I quivered.” | 当时我全身都在发抖” |
[1:34:56] | I was wondering if I might, might take over. | 我可以接着讲吗 |
[1:35:15] | Where were you? | 讲到哪了 |
[1:35:19] | “I perceived it to be a human creature not six inches high.” | “我意识到那是一个大约6英尺高的人” |
[1:35:22] | Not the book. | 不要念书 |
[1:35:26] | Please, a true story. | 请你讲一个真实的故事 |
[1:35:30] | Like you did with Annie. | 就像你给安妮讲的那样 |
[1:35:46] | Alright. Let me think. | 好吧 我想想 |
[1:35:52] | Did I ever tell you about my riding with gauchos? | 我给你们讲过我和牧人骑马的故事吗 |
[1:35:54] | – Yes. – Yes. | -讲过了 -讲过了 |
[1:35:58] | Or the time our ship was struck by Saint Elmo’s fire? | 那有没讲过我们的船着火 |
[1:36:01] | – Yes. – My attempt to climb the Andes? | -讲过 -我企图爬安第斯山 |
[1:36:04] | – Yes. – Earthquakes? | -讲过 -地震呢 |
[1:36:06] | – Yes. – Tidal waves? | -讲过 -海啸 |
[1:36:08] | – Really? I did? – Yes. | -真的吗 我都讲过了吗 -都讲过 |
[1:36:12] | Goodness gracious, I think I’ve told you everything. | 天啦 我把故事都讲完了 |
[1:36:17] | And yet I fancy | 我想 |
[1:36:21] | I have never told you about the giant sloth of Punta Alta. | 我应该没讲过蓬塔阿尔塔的大树懒 |
[1:36:26] | No. | 没有 |
[1:36:29] | Alright, then. Millions and millions of years ago, | 那好 几万百年前 |
[1:36:33] | in a rich and verdant land that we now call Argentina… | 在一块富饶的土地上 我们现在叫它阿根廷 |
[1:36:39] | …there lived a mammal. | 那里生活着哺乳动物 |
[1:36:46] | There lived a mammal as large as an elephant, | 大的有大象 |
[1:36:49] | As gentle as a lemur and as slow as an incredibly slow snail. | 小的有狐猴 慢的有最慢最慢的蜗牛 |
[1:36:54] | And he lived a happy life | 他生活得很愉快 |
[1:36:56] | Watching the slow green march of the passing seasons. | 观察着四季的变化 |
[1:37:24] | Er… I’ve finished. | 我写完了 |
[1:37:27] | I’ve finished. | 我写完了 |
[1:37:33] | – You decide. – about what? | -你决定了吗 -决定什么 |
[1:37:37] | Well, about what should be done with it. | 怎么处理这些东西 |
[1:37:40] | Someone needs to take god’s side in all of this. | 有人会站在上帝的一边来指责它 |
[1:37:45] | I’d much rather it was you than innes. | 我宁愿那个人是你 |
[1:37:48] | Supposing I think it should be destroyed? | 你以为我认为应该销毁它吗 |
[1:37:51] | Well… then you must do what you think is right. | 你一定会做你认为正确的事 |
[1:38:01] | Read it first. | 先看看吧 |
[1:38:10] | 《物种起源》 达尔文著 | |
[1:39:22] | Emma? | 艾玛 |
[1:39:27] | Well, you said it was my decision. | 你说过要按我的意思办 |
[1:39:41] | Emma, where… where are you going? | 艾玛 你去哪 |
[1:39:48] | To John Murray Publishers. | 寄给约翰默里出版社 |
[1:39:54] | Do I have it right? | 我没弄错吧 |
[1:39:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:40:02] | And so… you have finally made an accomplice of me. | 你让我最终成为了你的同盟 |
[1:40:14] | May god forgive us both. | 但愿主会原谅我们俩 |
[1:40:41] | Good morning, Jim. | 早上好 吉姆 |
[1:40:42] | Morning, Mr Darwin, sir. | 早上好 达尔文先生 |
[1:40:43] | – That parcel for me? – Yes. Yes, it is. | -那个包裹要我送吗 -是的 |
[1:40:49] | Thus, from the war of nature, from famine and death, | 在自然灾害 饥荒和死亡中 |
[1:40:53] | the most exalted object we are capable of conceiving, | 能想到的最令人兴奋的事 |
[1:40:57] | namely the production of higher animals, directly follows. | 就是高等动物的繁衍还会持续 |
[1:41:02] | There is grandeur in this view of life, | 这种关于生命的观点意义非凡 |
[1:41:06] | That whilst this planet has gone cycling on | 根据万有引力定律 |
[1:41:09] | according to the fixed law of gravity, | 这个星球 |
[1:41:12] | from so simple a beginning, | 以一个简单的开始循环往复 |
[1:41:15] | Endless forms, most beautiful and most wonderful, | 无尽的组合 最美丽的 最棒的 |
[1:41:19] | have been, and are being, evolved. | 一直在进化 也将继续进化下去 |