| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
|---|---|---|
| [00:05] | nzmz818@gmail.com | 合作邮箱 |
| [00:09] | 行动起来 今天是选举日 快来投票 | |
| [00:26] | It just doesn’t make any sense. | 这毫无道理 |
| [00:28] | No, the Whigs have controlled this district for years. | 数年来这个选区一直由辉格党管辖 |
| [00:31] | Never lost an election. | 从未败选 |
| [00:33] | How could this suddenly turn into a dogfight? | 怎么就突然成了一场混战呢 |
| [00:34] | The winds of change are blowing, I suppose. | 我猜是变革之风在吹动吧 |
| [00:36] | Winds? | 风 |
| [00:37] | More like an earthquake. | 地震还差不多 |
| [00:39] | Like the whole country is just falling apart. | 这个国家好像就要分崩离析 |
| [00:41] | No, I’m… | 不了 我 |
| [00:44] | So… | 所以 |
| [00:47] | have you cast your ballot already? | 你已经决定好投给谁了吗 |
| [00:49] | I did. On my way here. | 是的 正在写呢 |
| [00:50] | Can the Whig party count on your support? | 你会支持辉格党吗 |
| [00:52] | I don’t often vote a straight party line ticket. | 我不会只给某个政党投票 |
| [00:55] | I’m more of an independent. | 我是无党派人士 |
| [00:57] | Yes, well, I suppose it’s good for a man to think for himself. | 好吧 我觉得为自己考虑也是挺好的 |
| [01:00] | I agree. | 我也觉得 |
| [01:02] | Mrs. Dickinson, who would you be voting for? | 狄金森太太 您会投给谁 |
| [01:05] | – If you could. – Me? | -如果可以投票的话 -我吗 |
| [01:07] | What a funny question. I’ve never thought about it. | 真有趣 我从没想过这个问题 |
| [01:09] | Really? I thought you were a suffragette. | 真的吗 我还以为您是妇女参政论者 |
| [01:13] | How dare you insult me like that. | 你怎么敢这样侮辱我 |
| [01:18] | – Dad. Dad, Dad, Dad! – Oh, my God. Oh, my God. | -爸爸 爸爸 -天呐 天呐 |
| [01:21] | – It’s so exciting. It’s so exciting! – Oh, my God! | -太激动了 太兴奋了 -天呐 |
| [01:23] | Yes, it is exciting. | 没错 是很令人振奋 |
| [01:24] | It’s election day. Of course. | 选举日当然激动了 |
| [01:26] | What? No, we’re not talking about that. | 什么 不是 我们说的不是这个 |
| [01:27] | Who cares about an election when you can’t even vote? | 票都投不了谁还会在意选举啊 |
| [01:30] | We are talking about… | 我们说的是 |
| [01:32] | – the circus! – The circus is coming to Amherst! | -马戏团 -马戏团要来我们镇啦 |
| [01:34] | Yes, it starts today! They’re setting up the big tent now! | 今天就开演啦 他们正在搭展篷呢 |
| [01:36] | – They’ve got lions and tigers and…- Lions. | -有狮子老虎 还有 -狮子 |
| [01:40] | Siamese twins. They’ve got Siamese twins. | 连体双胞胎 还有连体双胞胎呢 |
| [01:42] | You know? You know Siamese twins. | 你知道连体双胞胎吧 |
| [01:43] | Can we go? Can we go? Can we go? | 我们能去看吗 能吗能吗 |
| [01:45] | The circus? | 马戏团吗 |
| [01:47] | – How depraved. – “Depraved”? | -有辱风化 -“有辱风化” |
| [01:49] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
| [01:50] | Circuses are dens of depravity. | 杂技表演是堕落之源 |
| [01:52] | They’re vile and crude | 这些东西邪恶粗鄙 |
| [01:52] | and utterly unsuitable for polite young ladies. No. | 全然不适合有教养的年轻女子观看 |
| [01:55] | Do you know there was a circus in Ohio | 俄亥俄州曾有场马戏表演知道吧 |
| [01:57] | where so much violence was incited, | 引起极大骚动 |
| [01:59] | half the town was seriously injured | 镇上一半人都受了重伤 |
| [02:00] | and the other half went to jail. | 剩下一半进了监狱 |
| [02:01] | No, circuses are full of thieves and hucksters, gypsies… | 马戏场里全是小偷 小贩 还有吉普赛人 |
| [02:04] | And how about those ladies though? | 那些女士们呢 |
| [02:06] | Those so called “Acrobats,” | 所谓的”杂技演员” |
| [02:08] | scantily-clad, who will certainly be roaming about, | 她们衣着暴露 到处游逛 |
| [02:11] | flaunting themselves like common h… I’m not going to say it. | 卖弄自我 就像是妓… 我说不出口 |
| [02:14] | No. Circus is no place for you girls. | 不行 马戏团不是你们该去的地方 |
| [02:18] | So will you take us? | 那你会带我们去吗 |
| [02:23] | – Ithamar, we need to talk. – Yes, that’s why I’m here. | -依塔玛尔 我们得谈谈 -是的 这正是我来的目的 |
| [02:26] | Well, let’s take a little walk. Perambulate with me. | 好 我们去走走吧 巡视一下 |
| [02:29] | – It’s close. – I know it’s close. | -票数很接近 -我知道 |
| [02:30] | You don’t have to tell me it’s close. | 你不必特意告诉我 |
| [02:32] | It wasn’t supposed to be close. | 不该是这个结果 |
| [02:33] | No, I know it wasn’t. The Democrats barely put up a fight. | 是啊 我也知道 民主党几乎没做抗争 |
| [02:35] | Your hat, sir. You left it in the carriage. | 您的帽子 先生 您落在马车里了 |
| [02:37] | Thank you. I love this hat. | 谢谢 我很喜欢这顶帽子 |
| [02:38] | Right, but it’s not the Democrats. | 没错 但是这和民主党无关 |
| [02:39] | – It’s the Know-Nothings. – The what now? | -是”一无所知党” -是什么 |
| [02:41] | The Know-Nothings. | “一无所知党”啊 |
| [02:42] | You don’t know about the Know-Nothings? | 你不知道”一无所知党”吗 |
| [02:43] | No, I know everything about the Know-Nothings. | 不 我对”一无所知党”一清二楚 |
| [02:45] | – Okay then. – Well, how about you give me a refresher? | -好吧 -你还是给我科普一下吧 |
| [02:47] | So you don’t know. | 所以你确实不知道 |
| [02:48] | There’s just too many parties to keep track of. | 我要关注那么多党派 |
| [02:50] | Why can’t there be two? | 怎么就不能只有两派呢 |
| [02:51] | On the other hand, maybe you do know | 也可能你确实知道 |
| [02:53] | and you’re saying you don’t | 却说不知道 |
| [02:54] | because when a member of the Know-Nothings | 因为”一无所知党”的成员 |
| [02:55] | is asked about their movement, | 被问到他们的动向时 |
| [02:57] | they’re supposed to say they know nothing. | 就不会如实回答 |
| [02:59] | – Confusing. – Yes. | -混淆视听 -没错 |
| [03:00] | So I could be asking you about it right now | 所以我现在问你 |
| [03:02] | and you could be saying you know nothing, | 你可能会说你一无所知 |
| [03:04] | and that could actually be your way of telling me | 而这也可能是你在向我透露 |
| [03:07] | you’re secretly a member of the party. | 你暗地里是这个党派的成员 |
| [03:08] | Well, let’s just assume for a moment that I’m not. | 好吧 先假设我不是其中一员 |
| [03:10] | Tell me why I’m not a shoo-in. | 说说我为什么不能稳胜 |
| [03:12] | Because these Know-Nothings? | 因为这些一无所知党员 |
| [03:13] | It turns out they know something about winning. | 事实证明 他们对选举略知一二 |
| [03:15] | They might win! | 他们可能会获选 |
| [03:16] | Great scones. | 这司康饼真好吃 |
| [03:18] | Did you know the scone was invented in the 16th century? | 你知道司康饼是16世纪诞生的吗 |
| [03:20] | – I’m sorry, did you say they might win? – Yes. | -抱歉 你刚是说他们会获选吗 -没错 |
| [03:22] | – As in beat me? – Yes, Edward, I’m afraid so. | -会战胜我是吗 -没错 爱德华 恐怕是 |
| [03:24] | But that’s impossible. This is Massachusetts. | 那是不可能的 这可是马萨诸塞州 |
| [03:25] | The Whig candidate has won this district | 从共和国建立以来 |
| [03:27] | since the founding of the republic. | 辉格党候选人就统治了这个区 |
| [03:28] | Yes, well, times change. | 是啊 但时移境迁啊 |
| [03:30] | Oh, Mr. Dickinson! | 狄金森先生 |
| [03:32] | What should we have for dinner tonight? | 今天晚餐吃什么 |
| [03:33] | I don’t care, woman. Surprise me. | 随便 你看着弄 |
| [03:34] | Well, how would you feel about woodcock? | 好吧 吃丘鹬怎么样 |
| [03:36] | Or game hen? Or snipe, pheasant, plovers, grouse, | 或者小母鸡 沙锥鸟 野鸡 鴴科鸟 松鸡 |
| [03:39] | roasted hare, or haunch of venison? | 烤野兔 还是鹿腿肉 |
| [03:41] | Is there any way for me to get out of this conversation? | 有没有人能救我结束这场对话 |
| [03:46] | The Know-Nothings have built a platform | 一无所知党说了一套 |
| [03:47] | on populist economic rhetoric | 民粹主义经济[反精英贵族掌权] |
| [03:49] | and anti-immigrant nativist anxiety. | 和反移民本土主义焦虑言论 |
| [03:52] | – It’s a heady brew. – And noxious. | -这完全是在迷惑众人 -而且很不利 |
| [03:53] | Yes, but it’s working. | 没错 但这很有效 |
| [03:55] | And you mean people are actually voting for these clowns? | 你是说人民在给这些跳梁小丑投票吗 |
| [03:57] | Indeed. | 确实 |
| [03:57] | It turns out people like it | 人们热衷于 |
| [03:58] | when you tell them who to blame for their problems. | 有人告诉他们问题归咎于谁 |
| [04:01] | And the Know-Nothings are blaming… | 一无所知党推责于 |
| [04:03] | Immigrants, Roman Catholics, the Irish… | 移民 天主教徒 爱尔兰人 |
| [04:05] | And we’re not blaming anyone. | 而我们没责备任何人 |
| [04:06] | Exactly. We haven’t picked an enemy. | 正是因为我们没挑个敌军 |
| [04:09] | – That seems like an oversight. – In retrospect, yes. | -似乎是我们的疏忽 -才想到啊 |
| [04:12] | So after all this, I still might lose? | 抛开这些不谈 我还是可能落选 |
| [04:13] | – I don’t know. It’s close. – Close? | -我不知道 票太接近了 -接近 |
| [04:16] | God dammit. | 该死 |
| [04:18] | If it’s gonna be close then let it be. | 真接近的话那就这样吧 |
| [04:20] | Do you know what, Ithamar? | 你知道吗 依塔玛尔 |
| [04:21] | I believe in this country and I believe in the good guys. | 我对这个国家和善良的人仍有希冀 |
| [04:23] | That at the end of the day,the good guys win | 最终 善良的人会获胜 |
| [04:25] | because we love America. | 因为我们热爱美国 |
| [04:27] | And when immigrants come here to join us, | 当有移民迁至我们国家时 |
| [04:29] | we throw our arms wide open and we say, | 我们张开怀抱 对他们说 |
| [04:30] | “Welcome. Grab a seat. Eat a hot dog.” | “欢迎 请坐下吃根热狗吧” |
| [04:32] | – We don’t kick people out. – No. | -我们不会排外 -不会 |
| [04:35] | And as far as these Know-Nothings go, | 就这些一无所知党而言 |
| [04:37] | it sounds to me like what they need to know something | 我倒是觉得他们该去学学 |
| [04:39] | about is a little thing called patriotism. | 什么是爱国 |
| [04:41] | And generosity. And pride. | 什么是慷慨 什么是自豪 |
| [04:47] | God, Maggie, what’s wrong? | 老天 玛吉 发生什么事了 |
| [04:49] | It’s me brothers. | 我的兄弟们出事了 |
| [04:51] | They were casting their votes at the polls this morning | 早上他们去投票站投票 |
| [04:53] | when they were attacked. | 被袭击了 |
| [04:54] | One of ’em was beaten half to death. | 其中一个被打得半死 |
| [04:56] | – Beaten by whom? – The Know-Nothings! | -被谁打的 -一无所知党们 |
| [04:59] | They hate us for being Irish. | 他们恨爱尔兰人 |
| [05:02] | You see, Edward? Things are getting out of hand. | 你听到了 爱德华 事态已经失控了 |
| [05:04] | You know, Mr. Dickinson, | 你要知道 狄金森先生 |
| [05:05] | me brothers and I, we came to America to escape persecution. | 我们姐弟 来美国是为了躲避迫害 |
| [05:09] | “The land of the free,” they told us. | 我们被告知这里是”自由之地” |
| [05:11] | But it’s the same here as it was in Ireland. | 但一切却和在爱尔兰一样 |
| [05:15] | Maybe we should just go back home. | 也许我们应该回归故土 |
| [05:17] | Maggie, don’t lose faith in this nation just yet. | 玛吉 先别对这个国家丧失信念 |
| [05:21] | You’ll see. | 你会看到的 |
| [05:23] | Honor and decency will prevail. | 荣誉和正义将占据上风 |
| [05:25] | Soon, I’ll be elected and I’ll represent you and your brothers. | 很快 我会当选 到时我会替你们姐弟发声 |
| [05:29] | And I’ll make sure something like this never happens again. | 我将确保同样的事件不再发生 |
| [05:31] | I hope you’re right. | 希望你是对的 |
| [05:33] | I know I’m right. | 我知道我是对的 |
| [05:54] | Who cares if I never see an elephant? | 此生无缘见大象又怎样 |
| [05:57] | I saw a cloud that looked like an elephant once. | 我曾见过一朵像大象的云 |
| [06:01] | I’m sorry your dad won’t let you go. | 很遗憾你父亲不让你去 |
| [06:03] | He doesn’t let me to do anything. | 他什么都不让我做 |
| [06:06] | You may have noticed. | 你应该也注意到了 |
| [06:07] | – Yeah, no reading, no swimming… – And no circuses. | -对 禁阅读 禁游泳 -还有马戏团 |
| [06:13] | So… what are you gonna do instead? | 所以 你这下打算干嘛 |
| [06:17] | – For fun, you mean? – Yes. | -找乐子吗 -对 |
| [06:19] | How will Emily Dickinson entertain herself? | 艾米莉·狄金森将如何取悦自己 |
| [06:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
| [06:27] | I might stick around the house. | 我可能就在家待着 |
| [06:29] | Maybe have a conversation with a moth. | 也许会和飞蛾说说话 |
| [06:31] | Well, here’s something. | 好吧 我有个提议 |
| [06:36] | What’s that? | 那是什么 |
| [06:37] | Poetry contest. | 诗歌比赛 |
| [06:40] | It says today is the deadline to enter. | 今天是参赛的截止日 |
| [06:44] | “We seek the undiscovered lyrical genius of Amherst.” | “我们找寻在阿默斯特尚未被发掘的抒情天才” |
| [06:48] | That’s you. I mean, | 就是你啊 |
| [06:49] | based on what I’ve read of yours, it could be. | 基于我读过的那些诗作 是有可能的 |
| [06:51] | I know about the contest. | 我知道这个比赛 |
| [06:53] | You do? So have you entered already? | 你知道 那你参加了吗 |
| [06:57] | Remember that conversation we were just having? About my father. | 记得我俩刚刚说的吗 我父亲的态度 |
| [07:01] | Yeah. No reading, no swimming, no circuses, and no poetry. | 对 禁阅读 禁游泳 禁马戏团 而且禁诗歌 |
| [07:09] | At least not in public. | 至少不要在公众面前 |
| [07:10] | Do you really think that he would care | 你真觉得他会在乎 |
| [07:12] | if you entered a poetry contest? | 你是否参加诗歌比赛吗 |
| [07:14] | I guess you don’t really know him yet. | 我猜你还不太了解他 |
| [07:17] | I guess not. | 我也觉得是 |
| [07:19] | My father says women who seek literary fame are no better than… | 我父亲说追求文坛声誉的女人甚至不如个 |
| [07:26] | let’s just say, “Acrobats.” | 说轻点 “杂技演员” |
| [07:31] | Well, that’s a shame because… | 那真是可惜 因为 |
| [07:35] | I think if you entered that contest, | 我觉得如果你参赛了 |
| [07:38] | you would win. | 你一定会胜出 |
| [08:00] | “Nobody knows this little Rose.” | “无人知晓这小小蔷薇” |
| [08:12] | There you are. | 原来你在这 |
| [08:13] | God. | 天 |
| [08:14] | I’ve looked everywhere. | 我到处找你 |
| [08:16] | Hey, Em. | 嘿 艾米 |
| [08:19] | What are you doing here? | 你在这做什么 |
| [08:20] | I thought staring at gravestones was my thing. | 我以为对着墓碑发呆是我的癖好 |
| [08:22] | – We have a problem. – What is it? | -出问题了 -什么问题 |
| [08:24] | Somebody’s buried in Sue’s spot. | 已经有人葬在苏的墓地了 |
| [08:27] | Who the cripes is Ichabod Beecher? | 苍天 伊卡博德·比彻是谁 |
| [08:29] | That’s the Beecher baby. | 那是比彻家的婴儿 |
| [08:31] | One of the Beecher babies, I should say. | 我应该说 是比彻家死婴中的一个 |
| [08:33] | God, that poor family. So many babies. | 天 那可怜的一家 那么多婴儿 |
| [08:35] | Every single one of them died. | 每个婴儿都死了 |
| [08:36] | Well, why is this dead Beecher baby buried so close to our plot? | 为什么这个比彻家的死婴葬得离我们这么近 |
| [08:40] | I guess they lost so many babies they ran out of room. | 我猜是因为死婴太多没地方葬了 |
| [08:42] | Well, that sucks, but I’m supposed to be buried right here | 那是很可惜 但我会被葬在这 |
| [08:45] | and Sue, as my wife, should be buried next to me. | 然后苏 我的妻子 应该被葬在我的身边 |
| [08:48] | Shouldn’t she? | 难道她不该吗 |
| [08:49] | Why don’t you just move the baby? | 那你干脆移走这个婴儿 |
| [08:51] | What? | 什么 |
| [08:53] | I can’t move a dead baby. | 我不能移一个死婴 |
| [08:55] | What would the Beechers say? | 比彻家的人会怎么说 |
| [08:58] | Nothing. | 什么都不会说 |
| [08:59] | They haven’t lived in Amherst for years. | 他们不住阿默斯特好多年了 |
| [09:00] | They all moved back to England. | 都搬回了英格兰 |
| [09:04] | Plus that baby died 27 years ago. He’s basically an adult now. | 况且这婴儿死了27年了 算起来也是个成人了 |
| [09:09] | That’s true. | 的确 |
| [09:10] | Okay, so I’ve solved your problem. I need you to solve mine. | 行了 我解决了你的问题 轮到你了 |
| [09:14] | What is it? | 什么问题 |
| [09:15] | The Springfield Republican is holding a poetry contest. | 《春田共和报》正举办一场诗歌比赛 |
| [09:18] | Today’s the last day to enter it. | 今天是参赛的截止日 |
| [09:19] | Well, you’re not gonna enter, are you? | 你不打算参加 对吧 |
| [09:22] | – Of course not. Dad would kill me. – No, I know he would. | -当然不 父亲会杀了我的 -是 我知道他会 |
| [09:24] | Which is why I want you to enter it. | 所以我想要你参赛 |
| [09:27] | My poem under your name. | 用我的诗去参赛 |
| [09:28] | Me? | 我 |
| [09:29] | – I can’t do that, Em. – Why not? | -我不能那么做 艾米 -为什么 |
| [09:31] | – Well, for one thing, it’s dishonest. – Only half-dishonest. | -首先 这不诚信 -只有一半不诚信 |
| [09:34] | The “Dickinson” part will be true. | “狄金森”这部分是真的 |
| [09:35] | Yeah, and then what? | 对 然后呢 |
| [09:36] | You’ll be mad because you won’t get the credit. | 你会因为自己没有得此殊荣而发狂 |
| [09:39] | I knew you’d say that. | 我就知道你会这么说 |
| [09:41] | I’ve thought about this. | 我想过了 |
| [09:43] | I swear I won’t get mad. | 我发誓我不会发狂 |
| [09:47] | I only want the world to read my words. | 我只想让世人读到我的文字 |
| [09:51] | – Are you sure? – Yes, I’m positive. | -你确定吗 -是 我很确信 |
| [09:52] | Here. You have to hurry, the deadline is this afternoon. | 给 你要抓紧 今天下午就截止了 |
| [09:55] | They’ll print the winner in the paper tomorrow. | 他们明天会在报纸上刊登获胜者 |
| [09:58] | – It’s not like really weird or anything is it? – No. | -不是什么奇怪的诗吧 -不 |
| [10:02] | No. | 不是 |
| [10:06] | Look, if you win, you’ll be proud. | 如果你赢了 你会很自豪 |
| [10:08] | Austin, please do this for me. | 奥斯汀 就算是为了我 |
| [10:13] | Okay. | 行吧 |
| [10:14] | For you. | 为了你 |
| [10:16] | You’re the best. Thank you. Thank you so much. | 你最好了 谢谢 太感谢了 |
| [10:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
| [10:22] | How psyched is Sue gonna be when I dig up this baby? | 我挖出这具死婴后苏该会有多开心 |
| [10:30] | You really know your way around a turkey. | 你对料理火鸡挺在行的 |
| [10:34] | Yeah, well… | 是啊 |
| [10:36] | since I was orphaned, I always had to do the cooking. | 父母双亡后 我就得亲自下厨 |
| [10:42] | You haven’t had an easy life, have you? | 你这一生过得很苦吧 |
| [10:50] | It’s wonderful having you back. | 你回来真是太好了 |
| [10:54] | Since you returned from Boston. | 能从波士顿回来 |
| [10:56] | Thank you, Mrs. Dickinson. | 谢谢 狄金森夫人 |
| [11:03] | I’m happy you and Austin settled things | 我很高兴你和奥斯汀终于定下来 |
| [11:07] | and that we’re gonna have a beautiful wedding. | 要举行一场浪漫的婚礼了 |
| [11:11] | There’s something I’d like to give you. | 我有东西想要给你 |
| [11:20] | An engagement gift. | 一份订婚礼物 |
| [11:23] | I can’t… Mrs. Dickinson, you didn’t have to. | 我不能 狄金森夫人 你不必 |
| [11:26] | It’s something my mother gave to me | 我母亲送给我的 |
| [11:28] | the day I left the Norcross farm | 送别我离开诺克罗斯农场 |
| [11:30] | and went off to marry Mr. Dickinson. | 远嫁狄金森先生 |
| [11:32] | It’s been my companion all these years. | 这么多年一直伴随着我 |
| [11:37] | Of course, I always thought | 当然 我一直以为 |
| [11:39] | I would give it to Emily on the day she married | 我会在艾米莉结婚那天给她 |
| [11:42] | but, well, I think it would be best if I gave it to you. | 但我认为还是送你比较好 |
| [11:47] | “The Frugal Housewife.” | 《主妇持家之道》 |
| [11:50] | Mrs. Dickinson, I don’t know what to say. | 狄金森夫人 不知道怎么感谢你了 |
| [11:54] | Call me mother. | 叫我妈妈 |
| [11:56] | You’ll be my daughter soon. | 你很快就是我的女儿了 |
| [11:58] | And don’t worry, I’ll do my best not to die on you. | 别担心 我尽量不让你给我送终 |
| [12:10] | Hey, Sue. | 苏 |
| [12:11] | Hello. | 好呀 |
| [12:14] | What are you reading? | 在看什么 |
| [12:16] | Your mom gave it to me. | 你妈给我的 |
| [12:18] | You’re really leaning into this whole housewife thing, aren’t you? | 你对主妇这事还挺上心的啊 |
| [12:23] | Eat shit, Emily. | 你滚吧 艾米莉 |
| [12:55] | I thought it was Ithamar with the results. | 还以为依塔玛尔来报结果了 |
| [12:57] | No, still no word. | 不是 还是没消息 |
| [13:02] | This was supposed to be wrapped up by now. | 按理说应该结束了啊 |
| [13:04] | Honey, why don’t you just try to get some rest? | 亲爱的 你不如休息会吧 |
| [13:07] | Get a good night’s sleep. | 好好睡一觉 |
| [13:08] | – It’s been a long day. – No. | -今天很疲惫了 -不 |
| [13:11] | The news could be here any minute. | 随时都可能来消息 |
| [13:16] | Hey, can’t those girls keep it down? | 姑娘们就不能消停点吗 |
| [13:21] | It’s just Jane Humphrey and a few others. | 只是简·汉弗莱和几个女孩啦 |
| [13:22] | Lavinia invited them to stay the night. | 拉维妮娅邀请她们来过夜 |
| [13:24] | Oh, my God, would you tell them to hush? | 老天 你叫她们安静点行吗 |
| [13:26] | Yes, of course. | 好的 当然 |
| [13:27] | Yeah, I’m deep in contemplation of our national situation. | 我对国家现状忧心忡忡 |
| [13:30] | I can’t bear another moment of their inane chatter. | 受不了她们聊这些废话 |
| [13:33] | I mean the whole Kansas-Nebraska Act was just a massive overreach | 整个堪萨斯-内布拉斯加法案在奴主势力上 |
| [13:36] | on the part of the slave power. | 都做得太过火了 |
| [13:38] | They actually tried to repeal the Missouri Compromise. | 他们竟然打算废除密苏里妥协案 |
| [13:40] | Like, do they really think | 他们真的觉得 |
| [13:41] | we’re going to admit more slave states into the Union? | 联邦会再承认新的奴隶州吗 |
| [13:43] | The problem is they control the government. | 问题是他们掌控了政府 |
| [13:45] | We have to build a coalition that can block their legislation. | 我们得建立联盟来阻止他们立法 |
| [13:48] | Jane, you’re like, so woke. | 简 你太透彻了 |
| [13:51] | I know. | 我知道 |
| [13:52] | If I was allowed to vote, I would vote Republican. | 我如果有权投票 我会投共和党 |
| [13:54] | Good for you. | 很好啊 |
| [13:55] | The Republicans are the only ones | 只有共和党人士 |
| [13:56] | who explicitly stand against slavery. | 明确地反对奴隶制 |
| [13:59] | The true progressives. They’re on the right side of history. | 是真正的进步派 站在历史正义的一边 |
| [14:01] | I know. It’s like, if you really want justice | 对啊 如果你想为全人民 |
| [14:03] | for all people in this country, | 谋求正义 |
| [14:05] | you have to vote Republican. | 就得投共和党 |
| [14:07] | Definitely. | 完全同意 |
| [14:09] | Emily, you’re not wearing a nightgown. | 艾米莉 你没穿睡袍呢 |
| [14:13] | I can’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
| [14:14] | Too nervous about the election results? | 太担心选举结果吗 |
| [14:17] | No. | 不是 |
| [14:19] | Do you really think the South will secede? | 你们觉得南方真的会脱离联邦吗 |
| [14:21] | No way. They don’t have the guts. | 不可能 他们没那个胆 |
| [14:23] | There are too many aligned interests at stake. | 攸关太多共同利益了 |
| [14:25] | It would be economically devastating for everyone. | 对各方都是沉重的经济打击 |
| [14:27] | I don’t know, guys. I think they might. | 说不好哦 我觉得有可能 |
| [14:30] | And then we’re gonna have a civil war. | 然后就会打起内战来 |
| [14:31] | We’re definitely gonna have a war. | 我们肯定会打仗的 |
| [14:34] | See? Even weirdo agrees with me. | 看见没 怪胎都同意我 |
| [14:36] | There’s gonna be a war | 会掀起一场战争 |
| [14:38] | and a million men will die. | 无数生命会死去 |
| [14:41] | And then a million snowflakes will fall on their graves. | 然后漫天的雪花飘落在墓地 |
| [14:50] | But how do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
| [14:53] | I know someone… | 我认识一个人 |
| [14:55] | who knows these things. | 他很了解这些 |
| [14:57] | Who? | 谁啊 |
| [14:58] | Death. | 死神 |
| [15:05] | Well, anyway, I wish I could vote. | 总之 我能投票就好了 |
| [15:07] | I know, right? | 就是说啊 |
| [15:09] | Okay, now let’s talk about boys. | 行了 来聊聊男生 |
| [15:13] | Okay, wait, which minister? | 所以是嫁哪个牧师 |
| [15:17] | – Emily, pass the, pass the salt. – No, no, no. | -艾米莉 递一下盐 -不不不 |
| [15:22] | What? But you said… | 什么 可是你说… |
| [15:25] | Lavinia, you’re wearing black silk mittens at breakfast? | 拉维妮娅 你吃早餐还戴黑丝手套啊 |
| [15:27] | Of course I am. | 不行吗 |
| [15:29] | You know that’s no longer considered genteel? | 你知道上流社会不兴这一套了吗 |
| [15:33] | It isn’t? | 是吗 |
| [15:34] | Well, it was never convenient. | 老是碍手碍脚的 |
| [15:38] | Has the paper arrived? | 报纸来了吗 |
| [15:39] | Not yet, Dad. They’re still counting the votes. | 还没呢 爸 还在计票 |
| [15:42] | Won’t be long now. | 就快好了 |
| [15:43] | We’re all rooting for you, Mr. Dickinson. | 我们都支持你 狄金森先生 |
| [15:44] | That’s very kind of you, Jane. | 太感谢你了 简 |
| [15:46] | You’re going to abolish slavery, right? | 你会废除奴隶制的对吧 |
| [15:49] | Dear God, I have a headache. | 天啊 我头疼 |
| [15:51] | That’s a yes. | 说明”会” |
| [15:54] | Let me attempt to take everyone’s minds off of politics for a moment. | 我带大家先把政治的事抛开 |
| [15:57] | I have a very special surprise. | 我有一个特别惊喜 |
| [16:00] | Susan? | 苏珊 |
| [16:02] | My beloved, | 我的挚爱 |
| [16:05] | I have taken it upon myself to ensure | 我穷尽一切确保 |
| [16:07] | that you and I spend no less than eternity by each other’s side. | 你和我能永生相伴彼此 |
| [16:10] | Okay, we all know you’re getting married. | 行了 知道你们要成婚了 |
| [16:12] | No, no, no. | 不不不 |
| [16:13] | What I’m saying is that I’m digging up a dead baby | 我想说的是 我要挖开死婴的墓 |
| [16:16] | so that you can be buried next to me. | 好让你能葬在我旁边 |
| [16:20] | I beg your pardon, dear? | 你说什么 亲爱的 |
| [16:21] | No, it’s all good, Mom. | 不 没事的 妈妈 |
| [16:23] | I’ve hired two gravediggers. | 我已经雇了两位掘墓人 |
| [16:25] | They’re gonna do it today. | 他们今天就会动工 |
| [16:26] | You know that Beecher baby? | 你知道叫比彻那个婴儿吧 |
| [16:28] | You know the one. Ichabod? | 你知道的啊 伊卡博德 |
| [16:29] | He’s in the spot next to mine and that’s where Sue needs to go | 他葬在了我的旁边 那是苏以后的墓地 |
| [16:32] | so that we can be together forever. | 这样我们就能永远在一起了 |
| [16:35] | In the afterlife. | 来世也不分开 |
| [16:36] | Is that legal? | 这合法吗 |
| [16:38] | – Father, is it legal? – Of course it’s legal. | -大家长 这合法吗 -当然合法 |
| [16:40] | – Is it legal? – Shouldn’t I know what’s legal? | -合法吗 -我难道不知道吗 |
| [16:42] | I think it’s legal. | 我觉得合法 |
| [16:43] | – The poor Beecher baby. – Dad, it’s legal, right? | -那个可怜的比彻婴儿 -爸 是合法的吧 |
| [16:45] | – What? – Who names a baby “Ichabod”? | -什么 -谁给孩子取名”伊卡博德”啊 |
| [16:47] | – It’s a family name, Jane. – Paper’s here. | -这是家传姓 简 -报纸来啦 |
| [16:54] | Dammit. | 该死 |
| [16:55] | Still no results? | 还是没结果吗 |
| [16:58] | This is absurd. | 太荒唐了 |
| [17:00] | What has happened to the Whigs? | 辉格党这是怎么了 |
| [17:02] | What has happened to this country? | 这个国家怎么了 |
| [17:04] | – We need radical change. – Radical. | -我们需要激进式变革 -激进 |
| [17:06] | That’s what I was talking about last night. | 我昨晚就这么说的 |
| [17:07] | – Me too. – Please don’t talk politics at the table. | -我也是 -饭桌上不要谈论政治 |
| [17:11] | Oh, my God, Austin, you won! | 天呐 奥斯汀 你赢了 |
| [17:13] | I… What? | 我… 什么 |
| [17:15] | You won the poetry contest. | 你赢了诗歌大赛 |
| [17:20] | I did? | 是吗 |
| [17:22] | – You entered a poetry contest? – Yeah. | -你参加了诗歌大赛 -对 |
| [17:24] | Let me see that. | 给我看看 |
| [17:28] | You’ve been writing poetry? | 你有在写诗吗 |
| [17:29] | I have dabbled in poetry. | 略有涉足啦 |
| [17:32] | “Nobody knows this little Rose.” | “无人知晓这小小蔷薇” |
| [17:40] | A poem by Austin Dickinson. | 奥斯汀·狄金森 作 |
| [17:44] | “Nobody knows this little Rose. | “无人知晓这小小蔷薇 |
| [17:49] | It might a pilgrim be. | 或行朝圣之举 |
| [17:51] | Did I not take it from the ways | 若我未曾摘取此芳菲 |
| [17:52] | and lift it up to thee. | 将其献予与你 |
| [17:54] | Only a Bee will miss it. Only a Butterfly. | 唯蜂牵挂 唯蝶想念 |
| [17:58] | Hastening from far journey on its breast to lie. | 远行而来于其花蕊深陷 |
| [18:06] | Only a Bird will wonder. Only a Breeze will sigh. | 唯飞鸟疑惑 唯微风叹默 |
| [18:10] | Ah Little Rose. How easy for such as thee… | 怎奈娇弱蔷薇如此轻易… |
| [18:16] | to die!” | 凋落” |
| [18:21] | That’s really lovely. | 写得真好 |
| [18:26] | You wrote this? | 你写的吗 |
| [18:28] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
| [18:30] | As a matter of fact, I wrote it for Sue. | 而且我还是写给苏的 |
| [18:33] | – And you forgot to read the title. – Title? | -你忘了读诗名 -诗名 |
| [18:36] | Yeah. I threw one on there. | 是啊 上面有写 |
| [18:38] | “To Mrs. Blank. With a Rose.” | “一朵玫瑰 致我的那个人” |
| [18:40] | Mrs. Blank. That’s you. | “那个人” 就是你 |
| [18:46] | Well, congratulations, Austin. | 那恭喜你 奥斯汀 |
| [18:47] | Thanks, Dad. | 谢谢 爸爸 |
| [18:49] | This is a marked improvement from your last attempt. | 比起你上次的诗作进步不少啊 |
| [18:52] | Excuse me, I feel sick. | 失陪一下 我不舒服 |
| [18:59] | Well, I thought it was really lovely. | 我觉得这首诗很棒 |
| [19:02] | And I don’t like poems. | 我这样不喜欢诗的人都觉得 |
| [19:13] | So you entered the contest. | 所以你还是参赛了 |
| [19:17] | Not exactly. | 并不算是 |
| [19:18] | You won. | 你赢了啊 |
| [19:19] | No, Austin won. | 不 奥斯汀赢了 |
| [19:26] | I’m sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
| [19:28] | It’s not your fault. | 这不是你的错 |
| [19:31] | It’s not his fault either. | 也不是他的错 |
| [19:34] | He didn’t choose to be born a man. | 他是男的并非他能选择 |
| [19:38] | Just like I didn’t choose to be born a… | 就像我也不是想要成为… |
| [19:41] | freak. | 怪胎 |
| [19:43] | You are not a freak. | 你不是怪胎 |
| [19:46] | Yes, I am. | 我是 |
| [19:47] | Well, then I am too. | 那我也是 |
| [19:50] | You? | 你 |
| [19:52] | An unmarried man my age? | 我这样的年纪还未婚的男人 |
| [19:56] | Of course I am. | 我当然是 |
| [20:01] | Maybe we should run off and join the circus. | 也许我们应该一起去加入马戏团 |
| [21:01] | Dad, | 爸爸 |
| [21:02] | you didn’t knock. | 你没敲门 |
| [21:05] | I don’t need to knock. | 我不需要敲门 |
| [21:08] | It seems like that’s what doors are for but… your call. | 这似乎就是门存在的意义 不过行吧 |
| [21:14] | Do you take me for a fool, Emily? | 你觉得我是傻子吗 艾米莉 |
| [21:18] | What? | 什么 |
| [21:19] | I said, “Do you take me for a fool?” | 我说 “你觉得我是傻子吗” |
| [21:23] | No. Of course not. | 当然不是 |
| [21:25] | And yet you treat me like one. | 然而你却把我当成傻子 |
| [21:31] | Your own father. | 你的亲生父亲 |
| [21:33] | The man who gives you everything. | 给了你所有的那个男人 |
| [21:35] | The food you eat. | 给了你食物 |
| [21:37] | The very air you breathe. | 给了你呼吸的空气 |
| [21:39] | Dad, I don’t know what you’re… | 爸爸 我不知道你在说什… |
| [21:40] | Don’t lie to me! | 不要对我撒谎 |
| [21:42] | Austin did not write this poem! | 这首诗不是奥斯汀写的 |
| [21:46] | Yes, but nobody knows that. | 没错 但没人会知道 |
| [21:48] | So now everyone’s a fool? | 所以现在所有人都是傻子了吗 |
| [21:50] | The whole world. | 整个世界都是傻子 |
| [21:52] | – Everyone but you. – That’s not what I’m saying. | -除了你 -我不是这个意思 |
| [21:54] | They will know, Emily. | 他们会知道的 艾米莉 |
| [21:55] | Nobody will believe your brother wrote this. | 没人会相信是你哥哥写的 |
| [21:59] | And you dared do this on the most significant day of my career? | 你竟敢在我事业最重要的一天里干出这种事 |
| [22:03] | On Election Day? Do you realize what you’ve cost me? | 在大选日 你知道这会给我带来的后果吗 |
| [22:05] | What you’ve cost this family, Emily? | 给这个家庭带来的后果吗 艾米莉 |
| [22:07] | My God, you bring me another public humiliation! | 天啊 你又让我被公众羞辱 |
| [22:11] | It’s not my fault. | 不是我的错 |
| [22:12] | Of course it is. Who else’s fault could it be? | 当然是你的错 不然还能是谁的 |
| [22:15] | It’s not my fault you didn’t win the election! | 你输了大选不是我的错 |
| [22:36] | Ladies and gentlemen! | 女士们先生们 |
| [22:40] | Welcome to the big top! | 欢迎来到马戏篷 |
| [22:47] | You ready, Emily? | 你准备好了吗 艾米莉 |
| [22:52] | – Ready for what? – To go on, of course. | -准备什么 -上台啊 |
| [22:55] | They’re all here to see you. | 他们都是来看你的 |
| [22:57] | You’re the star of the show. | 你是今晚演出的主角 |
| [23:08] | Ben? | 本 |
| [23:10] | Good luck out there tonight. | 今晚演出顺利哦 |
| [23:12] | – It’s a huge crowd. – What are you doing here? | -人很多 -你在这干嘛 |
| [23:14] | I told you I was a freak. | 我告诉过你我是怪胎 |
| [23:29] | And now, ladies and gentlemen. | 现在 女士们先生们 |
| [23:34] | The moment you have all been waiting for, | 万众期待的时刻到了 |
| [23:37] | the greatest freak of them all: | 怪胎之最 |
| [23:44] | A female poet. | 一位女诗人 |
| [24:12] | Oh, my God! | 我的天 |
| [24:31] | Dickinson! | 狄金森 |
| [24:32] | Great news! | 好消息 |
| [24:33] | You won! | 你赢了 |
| [24:35] | Did you hear what I said? | 你听到我说什么了吗 |
| [24:39] | – I won? – Yes. | -我赢了 -对 |
| [24:41] | You’re going to Washington. | 你要晋升去华盛顿了 |
| [24:44] | Congratulations, Edward. | 恭喜 爱德华 |
| [24:46] | This is the happiest I’ve ever been. | 这是我最开心的时刻 |
| [24:50] | You pulled it off! | 你成功了 |
| [24:52] | A narrow victory. | 险胜啊 |
| [24:53] | Yes. | 是 |
| [24:55] | Well, let’s have a glass of sherry! | 咱们来杯雪利酒庆祝一下 |
| [24:56] | No, no, I’ve got to get home. | 不 我得回家 |
| [24:58] | But you should celebrate with your family. | 但你得和你家人好好庆祝一下 |
| [25:08] | I won. | 我赢了 |
| [25:11] | – Have you now? – Yes. As I promised. | -是吗 -是的 我答应过你的 |
| [25:17] | The men of honor and decency have prevailed. | 正义而荣誉的一方胜利了 |
| [25:22] | Well… | 这… |
| [25:24] | that’s a relief. | 那我就放心了 |
| [26:02] | Emily? | 艾米莉 |
| [26:05] | Emily! | 艾米莉 |
| [26:08] | Emily. | 艾米莉 |
| [26:10] | Sue? | 苏 |
| [26:13] | Yeah, it’s me. | 是我 |
| [26:15] | What happened? | 你怎么了 |
| [26:23] | I… | 我 |
| [26:26] | I went to the circus. | 我去了马戏团 |
| [26:29] | *Say goodbye* | *到了离别的时刻* |
| [26:33] | *My one true lover* | *我唯一的挚爱* |
| [26:38] | *And we’ll steal a lover’s song* | *让我们最后 借曲情歌共载* |
| [26:46] | *How it breaks* | *一想到离开你* |
| [26:50] | *my heart to leave you* | *我的心无比悲哀* |
| [26:55] | *Now the carnival has gone* | *狂欢是一时 寂寞是常态* |
| [27:03] | *Oh my love* | *啊我的爱人* |
| [27:07] | *The dawn is breaking* | *已是破晓时分* |
| [27:11] | *And my tears are falling rain | *我泪如雨下 你即将离开* |
| [27:20] | *Now the carnival is over* | *狂欢是一时 寂寞是常态* |