英文名称:Double Indemnity
年代:1944
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:42] | Why, hello there, Mr. Neff. | 你好 黎先生 |
[02:56] | Working pretty late, aren’t you, Mr. Neff? | 今晚工作得很晚 |
[02:58] | Late enough. Let’s ride. | 的确很晚 上去吧 |
[03:04] | You look kind of all in, at that. I’m fine. | 你看来面色很差 我没事 |
[03:07] | How is the insurance business, Mr. Neff? Okay. | 保险生意如何 很好 |
[03:11] | They wouldn’t ever sell me any. | 他们无法向我推销保险 |
[03:13] | They said I have something loose in my heart. | 他们说我太过放浪形骇 |
[03:16] | I say it’s rheumatism. Yeah? | 我说是风湿病 是吗 |
[03:19] | Twelve. | 到12楼了 |
[05:16] | Office memorandum. | 办公室备忘录 |
[05:19] | Walter Neff to Barton Keyes, Claims Manager. | 黎华达致索偿经理祈巴顿 |
[05:23] | Los Angeles, July 16, 1938. | 洛杉矶 1938年7月16日 |
[05:27] | Dear Keyes… | 亲爱的巴顿 |
[05:30] | I suppose you’ll call this a confession when you hear it. | 你听见时 应该知道这是招认 |
[05:34] | Well, I don’t like the word confession. | 我不喜欢 “招认” 这字眼 |
[05:36] | I just want to set you right about something you couldn’t see… | 我只是想你了解未解答的迷团 |
[05:38] | because it was smack up against your nose. | 因为他头头碰着钉 |
[05:41] | You think you’re such a hot potato as a Claims Manager… | 你以为自己是一流的索偿经理 |
[05:43] | such a wolf on a phony claim. | 能一眼看穿虚假索偿 |
[05:47] | Maybe you are, but let’s take a look at that Dietrichson claim. | 也许你是… 但是看看狄先生的索偿个案 |
[05:52] | Accident and double indemnity. | 意外和双重保险 |
[05:55] | You were pretty good in there for a while, Keyes. | 你的确有点眉目 |
[05:58] | You said it wasn’t an accident. Check. | 你说不是意外 对 |
[06:01] | You said it wasn’t suicide. Check. | 你说不是自杀 对 |
[06:04] | You said it was murder. Check. | 你说是谋杀 对 |
[06:10] | You thought you had it cold, didn’t you? | 你以为已掌握案情 |
[06:12] | All wrapped up in tissue paper, with pink ribbons around it. | 用薄纸包裹 再加粉红色蝴蝶结 |
[06:16] | It was perfect. | 完美无暇 |
[06:18] | Except it wasn’t, because you made one mistake… | 但又不然 你犯了错 |
[06:21] | just one little mistake. | 只是一个小错误 |
[06:24] | When it came to picking the killer, you picked the wrong guy. | 估计谁是凶手时 你猜错了 |
[06:29] | You want to know who killed Dietrichson? | 你想知道是谁杀了狄先生 |
[06:32] | Hold tight to that cheap cigar of yours, Keyes. | 拿稳手上的雪茄 巴顿 |
[06:37] | I killed Dietrichson. | 我杀了狄先生 |
[06:38] | Me, Walter Neff, insurance salesman. | 是我 黎华达 保险推销员 |
[06:41] | 35 years old, unmarried, no visible scars… | 35岁 未婚 没有前科 |
[06:46] | until a while ago, that is. | 直至不久之前 |
[06:50] | Yes, I killed him. | 对 我杀了他 |
[06:53] | I killed him for money… | 我杀了他 为了钱… |
[06:55] | and for a woman. | 和女人 |
[06:59] | And I didn’t get the money and I didn’t get the woman. | 我得不到钱 亦得不到女人 |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1552个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:292个,六级词汇:134个,GRE词汇:151个,托福词汇:197个,考研词汇:326个,专四词汇:250个,专八词汇:39个, 所有生词标注共:545个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[07:05] | Pretty, isn’t it? | 很有趣 是吧 |
[07:21] | It all began last May. | 一切从去年五月底开始 |
[07:24] | Around the end of May, it was. | 那一次 |
[07:27] | I’d been out to Glendale | 我驾驶汽车 |
[07:29] | to deliver a policy on some dairy trucks. | 去格兰代送保单 |
[07:31] | On the way back | 回来途中 |
[07:33] | I remembered this auto renewal near Los Feliz Boulevard. | 我记得在洛菲利兹有汽车续保 |
[07:35] | So I drove over there. | 于是驱车前往 |
[07:37] | It was one of those California Spanish houses… | 有很多十多年前… |
[07:39] | everyone was nuts about 10 or 15 years ago. | 大家争相兴建的西班牙式房子 |
[07:43] | This one must’ve cost somebody about $30,000. | 这一间大约要三万元 |
[07:46] | That is, if he ever finished paying for it. | 若他已经支付所有的款项 |
[07:51] | Is Mr. Dietrichson in? | 狄先生在吗 |
[07:52] | Who wants to see him? My name is Neff. Walter Neff. | 谁找他 我姓黎 黎华达 |
[07:55] | If you’re selling something… | 若你想推销… |
[07:57] | Look, it’s Mr. Dietrichson I want to talk to… | 我想跟黎先生谈… |
[07:58] | and it’s not magazine subscriptions. | 但我不是推销杂志 |
[08:00] | Listen, Mr. Dietrichson is not in. How soon do you expect him? | 黎先生不在家 他大约几时回来 |
[08:02] | He’ll be home when he gets here, if that’s any help to you. | 他要回来时就会回来 |
[08:04] | What is it, Nettie? Who is it? | 什么事 妮蒂 是谁 |
[08:06] | It’s for Mr. Dietrichson. | 有人来找狄先生 |
[08:08] | I’m Mrs. Dietrichson. What is it? | 我是狄太太 什么事 |
[08:11] | How do you do, Mrs. Dietrichson? | 你好 狄太太 |
[08:12] | I’m Walter Neff, Pacific All Risk. | 我是黎华达 太平保险 |
[08:14] | Pacific all what? The Pacific All Risk Insurance Company. | 太平什么 太平保险公司 |
[08:18] | It’s about some renewals on the automobiles. | 是关于汽车保险续保 |
[08:20] | I’ve been trying to contact your husband | 过去两星期 |
[08:21] | for the past two weeks… | 一直想联络你先生 |
[08:22] | but he’s never in his office. Is there anything I can do? | 但他不在公司 有何贵干 |
[08:25] | The insurance ran out on the 15th. | 保险将会在15日到期 |
[08:27] | I’d hate to think of your having a smashed fender… | 我不希望汽车 |
[08:29] | or something while you’re not… | 在未获保险覆盖时 |
[08:31] | fully covered. | 遇到任何意外 |
[08:33] | Perhaps I know what you mean, Mr. Neff. | 我明白你的意思 |
[08:36] | I’ve just been taking a sunbath. No pigeons around, I hope. | 我只是在晒日光浴 希望附近没有白鸽 |
[08:41] | About those policies, | 关于保单 |
[08:42] | Mrs. Dietrichson, I hate to take up your time, but… | 抱歉打扰你… |
[08:44] | Oh, that’s all right. | 没关系 |
[08:45] | If you’ll wait till I put something on, I’ll be right down. | 请你稍等 我更衣后下来 |
[08:48] | Nettie, show Mr. Neff into the living room. | 妮蒂 带黎先生到客厅 |
[08:53] | Where would the living room be? | 客厅会在哪里 |
[08:55] | In there, but they keep the liquor locked up. | 请进 但他们锁上酒柜 |
[08:57] | It’s all right. I always carry my own keys. | 没关系 我一向自备钥匙 |
[09:08] | The living room was still stuffy… | 客厅依然充斥着 |
[09:09] | from last night’s cigars. | 昨晚的雪茄气味 |
[09:12] | The windows were closed… | 窗户紧闭 |
[09:13] | and the sunshine coming in through the venetian blinds… | 阳光从百叶窗帘透射 |
[09:15] | showed up the dust in the air. | 尘埃在空气中飞扬 |
[09:19] | On the piano, in a couple of fancy frames, | 钢琴上放了精致相架 |
[09:21] | were Mr. Dietrichson and Lola… | 有狄先生及他与前妻… |
[09:23] | his daughter by his first wife. | 所生的女儿露娜 |
[09:26] | They had a bowl of those little red goldfish… | 大沙发后面的桌子上 |
[09:28] | on the table behind the big davenport. | 放了一盆小金鱼 |
[09:31] | But to tell you the truth, Keyes… | 坦白说 |
[09:32] | I wasn’t a whole lot interested in goldfish right then. | 我当时对金鱼 |
[09:35] | Or in auto renewals, or in Mr. Dietrichson and his daughter Lola. | 汽车续保或 狄先生女儿露娜毫无兴趣 |
[09:39] | I was thinking about that dame upstairs, | 我在想楼上的女子 |
[09:42] | and the way she had looked at me… | 以及她的眼神 |
[09:43] | and I wanted to see her again, close… | 我想再见到她 近距离 |
[09:46] | without that silly staircase between us. | 没有恼人的楼梯分隔我们 |
[09:54] | I wasn’t long, was I? Not at all, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 没让你久等 没有 狄太太 |
[09:57] | Hope I’ve got my face on straight. It’s perfect, for my money. | 希望我的脸孔没问题 绝对没有 |
[10:00] | Neff is the name, isn’t it? Yeah. | 你姓黎 对吧 |
[10:02] | With two “F’s,” like in Philadelphia, if you know the story. | 就像费城姓黎的 你知道那故事吗 |
[10:04] | What story? The Philadelphia Story. | 什么 费城故事 |
[10:07] | Suppose we sit down and you tell me about the insurance. | 不如坐下 你谈谈保险的事 |
[10:09] | My husband never tells me anything. | 我丈夫什么也不说 |
[10:11] | Well, it’s on your two cars, the LaSalle and the Plymouth. | 是关于你的两部车 喇沙 普利茅斯 |
[10:16] | We’ve been handling this insurance for Mr. Dietrichson | 我们为狄先生处理保单 |
[10:19] | for three years… | 三年 |
[10:19] | and we’d hate to see the policies lapse. | 不希望出现断供情况 |
[10:22] | That’s a honey of an anklet you’re wearing, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 你穿了短裤子 |
[10:26] | As I was saying, we’d hate to see the policies lapse. | 我刚说过 不希望保单断供 |
[10:29] | Of course, | 当然 |
[10:30] | we give them 30 days. That’s all we’re allowed to give. | 我们有三十年宽限期 |
[10:32] | I guess he’s been too busy down at Long Beach in the oil fields. | 他大概再沙滩油田太忙碌 |
[10:34] | Couldn’t I catch him at home some evening for a few minutes? | 能否抽个晚上跟我谈一会 |
[10:37] | I suppose so. But he’s never home much before 8:00. | 应该可以 但他八时后才回家 |
[10:39] | That’s fine with me. | 没问题 |
[10:40] | You’re not connected with the Automobile Club, are you? | 你与汽车会没关系吧 |
[10:42] | No, the All Risk, Mrs. Dietrichson. Why? | 我是太平保险 怎么了 |
[10:45] | Somebody from the Automobile Club has been trying to get him. | 汽车会的人尝试联络他 |
[10:48] | Do they have a better rate? If your husband’s a member. | 他们的费用会比较便宜 若你的丈夫是会员 |
[10:51] | No, he isn’t. | 他不是 |
[10:52] | Well, then he’d have to join the club | 他要先加入 |
[10:54] | and pay the membership fee to start with. | 缴交管理费 |
[10:55] | I never knock the other fellow’s merchandise, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 我从不会诋毁别人 |
[10:58] | The Automobile Club’s fine. | 汽车会服务很好 |
[11:00] | I can do just as well for you, though. | 但我的服务也很好 |
[11:02] | I have a very attractive policy here. | 这份保单很具吸引力 |
[11:04] | It wouldn’t take me two minutes | 只需要两分钟 |
[11:05] | to put it in front of your husband. | 就能像你丈夫介绍 |
[11:07] | For instance, we’re writing a new kind of 50% retention feature… | 例如撞车赔偿 |
[11:09] | in the collision coverage. | 有50%自留额 |
[11:12] | You’re a smart insurance man, aren’t you, Mr. Neff? | 你是个聪明的保险员 |
[11:14] | Well, I’ve been at it 11 years. Doing pretty well? | 我已经入行11年 做得不错 |
[11:17] | It’s a living. | 只是谋生活 |
[11:19] | You handle just automobile insurance, or all kinds? | 你做汽车保险抑或各类保险 |
[11:23] | All kinds. Fire, earthquake, theft, | 各类 火灾 地震 偷盗 |
[11:25] | public liability, group insurance… | 公众责任 集体保险 |
[11:26] | industrial stuff and so on, right down the line. | 工业事故 彻头彻尾 |
[11:29] | Accident insurance? | 意外保险 |
[11:30] | Accident insurance? Sure, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 当然 狄太太 |
[11:34] | Wish you’d tell me what’s engraved on that anklet. | 你的踝环刻了什么 |
[11:38] | Just my name. As, for instance? | 只是我的名字 未请教 |
[11:42] | Phyllis. Phyllis, huh? | 菲莉 菲莉 |
[11:45] | I think I like that. But you’re not sure? | 很好听 但你不肯定 |
[11:47] | I’d have to drive it around the block a couple of times. | 我在附近来回了几次 |
[11:51] | Mr. Neff, why don’t you drop by tomorrow evening around 8:30? | 不如你明天晚上八时半过来 |
[11:53] | He’ll be in then. Who? | 他会在家 谁 |
[11:55] | My husband. You were anxious to talk to him, weren’t you? | 我丈夫 你不是想跟他谈吗 |
[11:59] | Yeah, I was, but I’m sort of getting over the idea… | 是的 但是我已经忘了来意 |
[12:02] | if you know what I mean. | 你明白吗 |
[12:03] | There’s a speed limit in this state, Mr. Neff. 45 miles an hour. | 这个州份有时速限制 每小时45里 |
[12:07] | How fast was I going, officer? I’d say around 90. | 我时速多少 大约90里 |
[12:10] | Suppose you get down off your motorcycle and give me a ticket. | 你要从电单车下来给我告票 |
[12:13] | Suppose I let you off with a warning this time. | 我今次暂且给你警告 |
[12:15] | Suppose it doesn’t take. | 若我不听警告 |
[12:17] | Suppose I have to whack you over the knuckles. | 我会一拳打晕你 |
[12:19] | Suppose I bust out crying and put my head on your shoulder. | 我会嚎啕大哭 伏在你的肩膀 |
[12:22] | Suppose you try putting it on my husband’s shoulder. | 不如伏在我丈夫的肩膀 |
[12:25] | That tears it. | 好了 |
[12:31] | 8:30 tomorrow evening then. That’s what I suggested. | 明晚八时半 没问题 |
[12:35] | Will you be here, too? I guess so, I usually am. | 你也会在家 我通常是 |
[12:37] | Same chair, same perfume, same anklet? | 相同椅子子 香水 踝环 |
[12:40] | I wonder if I know what you mean. | 我不肯定是否明白你的意思 |
[12:43] | I wonder if you wonder. | 我不肯定你是否不肯定 |
[12:48] | It was a hot afternoon and I can still remember… | 那天下午很炎热 |
[12:51] | the smell of honeysuckle all along that street. | 我还记得街上的忍冬的气味 |
[12:54] | How could I have known that murder can sometimes | 没想到谋杀的气味 |
[12:57] | smell like honeysuckle? | 犹如忍冬 |
[12:58] | Maybe you would have known, Keyes… | 也许你会知道 巴顿 |
[12:59] | the minute she mentioned accident insurance, but I didn’t. | 当她一提到意外保险的时候 但我没有 |
[13:03] | I felt like a million. | 我心情愉快 |
[13:06] | I went back to the office to see if I had any mail. | 我回办公室看是否有邮件 |
[13:09] | It was the day you had that truck driver | 那天英格活货车司机 |
[13:12] | from Inglewood on the carpet. | 来找你 |
[13:12] | Remember, Keyes? | 记得吗 巴顿 |
[13:14] | Mr. Neff, Mr. Keyes wants to see you. | 黎先生 祈先生想见你 |
[13:16] | He’s been yelling for you all afternoon. | 他整个下午嚷着要找你 |
[13:18] | Is he sore, or just frothing at the mouth a little? | 他是不是只想找人吗 |
[13:20] | Park this for me, will you, sweetheart? | 帮我放好 |
[13:27] | Hello, Walter. Hi, George. | 嗨 华达 嗨 佐治 |
[13:31] | Come on. Come on, Garlopis. | 拜托 |
[13:32] | You’re not kidding anybody with that line of bull. | 你休想骗任何人 |
[13:34] | You’re in a jam and you know it. Says you. | 你身陷囹圉 你很清楚 谁说的 |
[13:36] | All I want is my money. Says you. | 我只要钱 谁说的 |
[13:38] | All you’re gonna get is the cops. Hello, Walter. | 你只会见到警察 嗨 华达 |
[13:41] | This is Sam Garlopis from Inglewood. Sure, I know Mr. Garlopis. | 这位是英格活的高森姆 我认识高先生 |
[13:44] | Wrote a policy on his truck. How are you, Mr. Garlopis? | 我帮他草拟货车的保单 你好吗 高先生 |
[13:47] | I ain’t so good. My truck burned down. Yeah. Now look, Garlopis. | 我不好 火车被焚毁 对 听着 |
[13:52] | Every month hundreds of claims come to this desk. | 我每个月都收到上百份的索偿 |
[13:55] | Some of them are phonies, and I know which ones. | 有些是假的 我一看就知 |
[13:57] | How do I know? Because my little man tells me. | 我怎知道 有个隐形人告诉我 |
[14:02] | What little man? The little man in here. | 什么隐形人 在这里的隐形人 |
[14:05] | Every time one of these phonies comes along, | 每次有虚假索偿出现 |
[14:06] | it ties knots in my stomach. | 他就会帮我在胃里打结 |
[14:08] | I can’t eat. | 令我寝食难安 |
[14:09] | Yours is one of them, Garlopis. | 你就是其一 |
[14:11] | That’s how I knew your claim was crooked. | 所以我知道这是虚假索偿 |
[14:13] | So what did I do? | 你做了什么 |
[14:14] | I sent a tow car over to your garage this afternoon… | 我今天下午派拖车去你的车房 |
[14:17] | and they jacked up that burned-out truck of yours. | 他们托起你的货车 |
[14:19] | And what did they find? | 知道他们发现什么 |
[14:20] | They found what was left of a neat pile of shavings. | 找到一堆整齐的碎纸 |
[14:24] | What shavings? | 什么碎纸 |
[14:25] | The ones you soaked with kerosene and dropped a match on. | 你用来浸火水 然后掉下火柴 |
[14:30] | Look, Mister, I’m just a poor guy. Maybe I made a mistake. | 我只是个可怜人 也许犯了错 |
[14:35] | That’s one way of putting it. | 你可以这样说 |
[14:37] | I ain’t feeling so good, Mr. Keyes. | 我有点不舒服 祈先生 |
[14:39] | Here. Just a minute. Sign this and you’ll feel fine. | 这里 签完就会觉得舒服 |
[14:42] | Sign what? It’s a waiver on your claim. Right here. | 签什么 说你放弃索偿 这里 |
[14:46] | Here? Here. | 这里 这里 |
[14:51] | Now you’re an honest man again. Goodbye, Garlopis. | 你又做回诚实人 再见 |
[14:54] | But I ain’t got no more truck. | 但我现在没货车了 |
[14:56] | $2,600 is lot of dough where I live. | 我住的地方只值2 000元 |
[14:59] | What’s the matter, Garlopis, don’t you know how to open the door? | 怎么了 你不懂得开门 |
[15:01] | Just put your hand on the knob, turn it to the left. | 将手放在把手 然后转左 |
[15:05] | Now pull it toward you. | 拉向自己 |
[15:09] | That’s the boy. Thank you, Mr. Keyes. | 对了 谢谢 |
[15:16] | What kind of an outfit is this, anyway? | 怎么打扮成这样 |
[15:18] | Are we an insurance company, | 我们是 |
[15:19] | or just a bunch of dimwitted amateurs… | 保险公司 |
[15:21] | to write a policy on a mug like that? | 抑或外行人 |
[15:22] | Now, wait a minute, Keyes. I don’t rate this beef. | 等等 他不是由我评估 |
[15:24] | I clipped a note to that Garlopis application… | 我在他的申请表上写着… |
[15:25] | to have him thoroughly investigated… | 接受风险前要进行详细评估 |
[15:26] | before we accepted the risk. I know you did, Walter. | 我知道 我不是埋怨你 |
[15:28] | I’m not beefing at you. | 这是公司的 |
[15:30] | It’s the company. It’s the way they do things. | 一贯做法 |
[15:31] | The way they don’t do things! | 这样子他们就什么都不需要做 |
[15:32] | The way they’ll write anything | 他们只要 |
[15:33] | just to get it down on the sales sheet. | 填写销售表格 |
[15:35] | And I’m the guy | 我就负责留意 |
[15:36] | that has to sit here up to my neck in phony claims… | 虚假索偿 |
[15:37] | so they won’t | 让他们不会 |
[15:39] | throw more money out the window than they take in at the door. | 入不敷支 |
[15:40] | Okay, turn the record over, let’s hear the other side. | 别转弯抹角 快入正题 |
[15:42] | Well, I get darn sick of trying to | 我受够了一群 |
[15:44] | pick up after a gang of fast-talking salesmen… | 口若悬河的销售员 |
[15:46] | dumb enough to sell life insurance to a guy… | 他们向危险人士 |
[15:47] | who sleeps in the same bed with four rattlesnakes. | 出售人寿保险 |
[15:49] | Walter, I’ve had 26 years of this and let me tell you, | 华达 26年了 |
[15:51] | I’m getting… | 我觉得… |
[15:52] | Yeah, and you’ve loved every minute of it, Keyes. | 你乐在其中 |
[15:54] | You love it, | 你敬业乐业 |
[15:55] | only you worry about it too darn much, you and your little man. | 只是杞人忧天 你和你的隐形人 |
[15:58] | You’re so darn conscientious, you’re driving yourself crazy. | 你太谨慎行事 将自己逼疯 |
[16:00] | You wouldn’t even say today is Tuesday | 你要看日历才敢说 |
[16:02] | unless you looked at the calendar. | 今天是星期二 |
[16:03] | Then you’d check to see if it was this year’s | 再研究这是今年 |
[16:04] | or last year’s calendar. | 或是去年的日历 |
[16:06] | Then you’d find out who printed the calendar… | 再研究哪间公司印刷日历 |
[16:07] | and find out if their calendar | 再研究是否 |
[16:09] | checked with the World Almanac’s calendar. | 根据世界年历 |
[16:10] | Now, that’s enough from you, Walter. | 够了 华达 |
[16:11] | Now, get out of here before I throw my desk at you. | 在我未赶你之前 快滚出去 |
[16:18] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |
[16:27] | I really did, too, you old crab… | 真的 你这老顽固 |
[16:29] | always yelling your head off, always sore at everybody. | 总是大叫大嚷 对人呼喝 |
[16:32] | But you never fooled me with your song and dance. Not for a second. | 但你骗不了我 |
[16:36] | I kind of always knew that behind the cigar ashes on your vest… | 我看得出 |
[16:39] | you had a heart as big as a house. | 你有广阔胸襟 |
[16:42] | Back in my office there was a phone message | 回到办公司 |
[16:43] | from Mrs. Dietrichson… | 收到狄太太 |
[16:44] | about the renewals. | 关于续保的留言 |
[16:46] | She didn’t want me to come tomorrow evening. | 她不想我明天晚上到府上 |
[16:49] | She wanted me to come Thursday afternoon at 3:30 instead. | 想改为星期四下午三时半 |
[16:53] | I had a lot of stuff lined up for that Thursday afternoon… | 我当天的时间排得 密麻麻 |
[16:57] | including a trip down to Santa Monica… | 包括到圣莫尼卡 |
[16:59] | to see a couple of live prospects about some group insurance. | 推销集体人寿保险 |
[17:03] | But I kept thinking about Phyllis Dietrichson… | 但我不断想起狄菲莉 |
[17:06] | and the way that anklet of hers cut into her leg. | 以及她戴踝环的方式 |
[17:16] | Hello, Mr. Neff. Aren’t you coming in? | 嗨 黎先生 你不进来吗 |
[17:19] | I’m considering it. | 我在考虑 |
[17:23] | I hope you didn’t mind my changing the appointment. | 希望你别介意我更改时间 |
[17:25] | Last night wasn’t so convenient. That’s all right. | 昨晚不太方便 没关系 |
[17:29] | I was working on my stamp collection anyway. | 反正我只是在看邮票 |
[17:31] | I was just fixing some iced tea. Would you like a glass? | 我在弄冰红茶 你要一杯吗 |
[17:33] | Yeah, unless you’ve got a bottle of beer that’s not working. | 好 除非你有坏了的啤酒 |
[17:35] | There may be some. I never know what’s in the icebox. | 也许有 我不肯定雪柜有什么 |
[17:38] | Nettie. | 妮蒂 |
[17:43] | About those renewals, Mr. Neff. I talked to my husband about it. | 关于续保 我跟丈夫谈过 |
[17:47] | Oh, you did? Yes. He’ll renew with you, he told me so. | 是吗 对 他跟我说会续保 |
[17:50] | As a matter of fact, I thought he’d be here this afternoon. | 其实我以为他今天下午在家 |
[17:52] | But he’s not? No. | 但他不在 是 |
[17:55] | That’s terrible. | 真可惜 |
[17:57] | Nettie! | 妮蒂 |
[18:00] | Oh, I forgot, today’s the maid’s day off. | 我忘记了今天女佣放假 |
[18:03] | Never mind the beer. Iced tea will be fine. | 别管啤酒 冰红茶也可以 |
[18:06] | Lemon? Sugar? Fix it your way. | 柠檬 糖 照你往常做法 |
[18:10] | As long as it’s the maid’s day off, | 既然女佣放假 |
[18:12] | maybe there’s something I can do for you. | 我可以帮你 |
[18:14] | Like running the vacuum cleaner. Fresh. | 例如吸尘 有趣 |
[18:18] | I used to peddle vacuum cleaners. | 我以前也推销过吸尘机 |
[18:20] | Not much money, but you learn a lot about life. | 赚得不多 但令我看透人生百态 |
[18:22] | I didn’t think you’d learned it from a correspondence course. | 读万卷书不如行万里路 |
[18:27] | Where’d you pick up this tea drinking? | 你何时养成喝茶的习惯 |
[18:30] | You’re not English, are you? No. Californian. | 你不是英国人吧 不 我是加州人 |
[18:32] | Born right here in Los Angeles. | 在洛杉矶土生土长 |
[18:34] | They say all native Californians come from Iowa. | 他们说洛杉矶人来自爱荷华 |
[18:38] | Mr. Neff, I… Make it Walter, huh? | 黎先生 我… 叫我华达 |
[18:41] | Walter. That’s right. | 华达 是的 |
[18:43] | Tell me, Walter, | 华达 |
[18:44] | on this insurance, how much commission do you make? | 保险方面你收多少佣金 |
[18:48] | Twenty percent. Why? | 20% 怎么了 |
[18:49] | I thought perhaps I could throw a little more business your way. | 我正打算光顾你 |
[18:52] | I can always use it. I was thinking about my husband. | 没关系 我想起丈夫 |
[18:54] | I worry a lot about him down in those oil fields. | 担心他在油田工作 |
[18:57] | It’s very dangerous. Not for an executive, is it? | 工作性质很危险 身为管理人员不会吧 |
[18:59] | He doesn’t just sit behind a desk. | 他不只是坐在办公室 |
[19:01] | He’s right down there with those drilling crews. | 他要跟钻油人员到油田 |
[19:03] | It’s got me worried sick. | 令我担心不已 |
[19:04] | You mean, some dark night a crown block might fall on him? | 你是说起重定滑轮可能会掉下 |
[19:07] | Please don’t talk like that. But that’s the idea. | 别这么说 但大致如此 |
[19:09] | The other day a casing line snapped and caught the foreman. | 有一次一支套管击中工头 |
[19:12] | He’s in the hospital with a broken back. That’s bad. | 他因背部折断而入院 真糟糕 |
[19:15] | It’s got me jittery just thinking about it. | 这令我紧张不安 |
[19:18] | Suppose something like that happened to my husband. | 假设我丈夫遇上事故 |
[19:20] | It could. Well… | 有可能 |
[19:23] | don’t you think he ought to have accident insurance? Mmm-hmm. | 你不认为他应该买意外保险 |
[19:28] | What kind of insurance could he have? | 他可以买那一类保险 |
[19:30] | Enough to cover doctors and hospital bills. | 用来支付医疗费用 |
[19:32] | Say $125 a week cash benefit. | 例如125星期现金保障 |
[19:34] | And he’d rate around $50,000 capital sum. | 最高赔偿达5万元 |
[19:37] | Capital sum? What’s that? In case he gets killed. | 最高赔偿 那是什么 |
[19:41] | Maybe I shouldn’t have said that. | 假设他死亡 也许我不该这样说 |
[19:43] | I suppose you have to think of everything in your business. | 做这一行 每一点都要考虑 |
[19:46] | Well, your husband would understand. | 你丈夫会理解 |
[19:47] | I’m sure I could sell him on the idea of | 我可以向他推销 |
[19:49] | some accident protection. | 意外保险 |
[19:50] | Why don’t I talk to him about it? | 不如我跟他谈谈 |
[19:52] | You could try, but he’s pretty tough-going. | 你可以尝试 但他很固执 |
[19:54] | They’re all tough at first. | 所有人起初都很固执 |
[19:57] | He has a lot on his mind. | 他有很多想法 |
[19:58] | He doesn’t seem to want to listen to anything… | 不喜欢聆听 |
[20:00] | except maybe a baseball game on the radio. | 除了收音机上的棒球赛事 |
[20:03] | Sometimes we sit here all evening | 有时候整个晚上 |
[20:05] | and never say a word to each other. | 我们都没交谈 |
[20:07] | Sounds pretty dull. So, I just sit and knit. | 听起来挺沉闷 我只是坐着编织 |
[20:12] | Is that what you married him for? | 你是为了这样而嫁给他 |
[20:14] | Maybe I like the way his thumbs hold up the wool. | 也许我喜欢他用手指举起羊毛 |
[20:17] | Anytime his thumbs get tired… | 若他的手指觉得累 |
[20:20] | Only, with me around, you wouldn’t have to knit. | 而我在场时 你就不用编织 |
[20:22] | Wouldn’t I? You bet your life, you wouldn’t. | 是吗 我敢打赌 |
[20:27] | Wonder if a little rum would get this up on its feet. | 喝少许酒应该无碍 |
[20:33] | I want to ask you something, Walter. | 我想请教你一件事 |
[20:38] | Could I get an accident policy for him | 我能够不问他 |
[20:39] | without bothering him at all? | 而买意外保险 |
[20:41] | How’s that, again? | 再说一次 |
[20:42] | It would make it easier for you, too. | 这对你也方便 |
[20:44] | You wouldn’t even have to talk to him. | 你不用跟他谈 |
[20:45] | I have a little allowance of my own. | 我自己有点私己钱 |
[20:47] | I could pay for it and he needn’t know anything about it. | 我可以支付 他不用知道 |
[20:53] | Why shouldn’t he know? | 为什么他不用知道 |
[20:54] | Because he doesn’t want accident insurance. | 因为他不想要意外保险 |
[20:56] | He’s superstitious about it. | 他很迷信 |
[20:58] | A lot of people are. That’s funny, isn’t it? | 很多人都是 真有趣 |
[21:00] | If there was a way to get it like that, | 若有办法 |
[21:02] | all the worry would be over. | 烦恼就一扫而空 |
[21:05] | See what I mean, Walter? Sure. I got good eyesight. | 你明白吗 华达 当然 我眼睛雪亮 |
[21:09] | You mean you want him to have the policy without him knowing it. | 你是说在他不知情下购买保险 |
[21:11] | And that means without the insurance company knowing | 保险公司亦不知道 |
[21:13] | that he doesn’t know it. | 他不知情 |
[21:15] | That’s the setup, isn’t it? Is there anything wrong with it? | 这是一个设局 有问题吗 |
[21:17] | No, I think it’s lovely. | 没有 非常好 |
[21:19] | Then, if some dark, wet night, | 一个起重定滑轮 |
[21:20] | that crown block did fall on him… | 将会击中他… |
[21:21] | What crown block? | 什么定滑轮 |
[21:22] | Only sometimes it can’t quite make it on its own, | 但有时定滑轮也身不由己 |
[21:24] | it has to have a little help. | 它需要别人推一把 |
[21:26] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[21:27] | Of course, it doesn’t have to be a crown block. | 当然不一定是定滑轮 |
[21:29] | It can be a car backing over him, | 可以是汽车撞倒他 |
[21:31] | or he could fall out of the upstairs window. | 或者坠楼 |
[21:32] | Any little thing like that, just so it’s a morgue job. | 诸如此类 余下的是殓房工作 |
[21:34] | Are you crazy? Not that crazy. | 你疯了 还没那么疯 |
[21:38] | Goodbye, Mrs. Dietrichson. What’s the matter? | 再见 狄太太 发生什么事 |
[21:42] | Look, baby, you can’t get away with it. | 你无法瞒天过海 |
[21:47] | You want to knock him off, don’t you? | 你想杀了他 是不是 |
[21:48] | That’s a horrible thing to say. | 你太含血喷人 |
[21:50] | What’d you think I was, anyway? | 你以为我是什么人 |
[21:51] | A guy that walks into | 来到漂亮妇人 |
[21:53] | a good looking dame’s front parlor and says: | 的客厅 |
[21:54] | “Good afternoon, I sell accident insurance on husbands. | 说 我为你丈夫购买意外保险 |
[21:56] | “You got one that’s been around too long? | 你有一个看不顺眼的丈夫 |
[21:57] | “One you’d like to turn into a little hard cash? | 我可以将他变成现金 |
[21:59] | “Just give me a smile and I’ll help you collect. “ | 笑一个 我就帮你收钱 |
[22:01] | Boy, what a dope you must think I am. I think you’re rotten. | 你以为我是蠢材 别出言不逊 |
[22:05] | I think you’re swell, so long as I’m not your husband. | 你很不错 只要我不是你丈夫 |
[22:07] | Get out of here. You bet I’ll get out of here, baby. | 给我滚 |
[22:10] | I’ll get out of here, but quick. | 我一定会走 尽快离开 |
[22:22] | So I let her have it straight between the eyes. | 我跟她当面对质 |
[22:24] | She didn’t fool me for a minute, not this time. | 她骗不了我 至少今次 |
[22:27] | I knew I had hold of a red-hot poker… | 这是辣手东西 |
[22:29] | and the time to drop it was before it burned my hand off. | 要尽快脱手 |
[22:32] | I stopped at a drive-in for a bottle of beer, | 我停在汽车餐厅 |
[22:35] | the one I had wanted all along… | 喝一杯啤酒 |
[22:36] | only I wanted it worse now, | 想用啤酒 |
[22:38] | to get rid of the sour taste of her iced tea… | 抹去冰红茶味道 |
[22:40] | and everything that went with it. | 以及一切感觉… |
[22:42] | I didn’t want to go back to the office | 我不想 |
[22:44] | so I dropped by a bowling alley… | 回办公室 |
[22:45] | at Third and Western and rolled a few lines… | 来到第三街与西街的保龄球场 |
[22:48] | to get my mind thinking about something else for a while. | 打了几局 试图挥去那种感觉 |
[22:52] | I didn’t feel like eating dinner | 离开时 |
[22:53] | when I left, and I didn’t feel like a show. | 我毫无胃口可言 |
[22:56] | So, I drove home, put the car away and went up to my apartment. | 于是架车回家 泊车后回寓所 |
[23:01] | It had begun to rain outside and I watched it get dark… | 外面开始下雨 天色渐黑 |
[23:04] | and didn’t even turn on the light. | 我却没有开灯 |
[23:06] | That didn’t help me either. | 但我的心情毫无起色 |
[23:08] | I was all twisted up inside… | 我心如刀割 |
[23:10] | and I was still holding on to that red-hot poker. | 未能放下心事 |
[23:13] | And right then it came over me | 当时我觉得 |
[23:15] | that I hadn’t walked out on anything at all. | 自己根本从没离开 |
[23:17] | That the hook was too strong… | 我和她之间的关系太强烈 |
[23:19] | that this wasn’t the end between her and me. | 而且没有结束 |
[23:22] | It was only the beginning. | 那只是一个开端 |
[23:25] | So at 8:00 the bell would ring | 八时正 门铃响起 |
[23:27] | and I’d know who it was without even having to think. | 我不假思索就知道那人是谁 |
[23:30] | As if it was the most natural thing in the world. | 好像这是自然不过的事 |
[23:36] | Hello. You forgot your hat this afternoon. | 嗨 你今天下午忘记拿帽子 |
[23:40] | Did I? Don’t you want me to bring it in? | 是吗 你不想我帮你拿来 |
[23:43] | Sure. | 不 |
[23:46] | Put it on the chair. | 放在桌上 |
[23:56] | How’d you know where I live? It’s in the phone book. | 你怎知道我住在这里 在电话薄 |
[24:00] | It’s raining. Yeah. | 外面在下雨 对 |
[24:03] | Peel off your coat and sit down. | 脱下外衣坐下吧 |
[24:08] | Your husband out? | 你丈夫出埠 |
[24:09] | Yes. Long Beach. They’re spudding in a new well. | 对 长滩 要建一座新井 |
[24:11] | He phoned he’d be late. About 9:30. | 他说会迟些回家 大约9 30 |
[24:14] | It’s about time you said you were glad to see me. | 你还未欢迎我 |
[24:16] | I knew you wouldn’t leave it like that. | 我知道你不会罢休 |
[24:18] | Like what? Like it was this afternoon. | 什么 像今天下午 |
[24:21] | I must have said something | 我一定是说了 |
[24:23] | that gave you a terribly wrong impression. | 令你误会的话 |
[24:24] | You must never think anything like that about me, Walter. | 你不该这样误会我 华达 |
[24:27] | Okay. No, it’s not okay. | 好的 这样不行 |
[24:29] | Not if you don’t believe me. What do you want me to do? | 若你不相信我 你想我怎做 |
[24:32] | I want you to be nice to me. | 我想你对我好一些 |
[24:35] | Like the first time you came to the house. | 好像你第一次来我家 |
[24:38] | It can’t be like the first time. | 这不可能 |
[24:40] | Something’s happened. I know it has. | 事情发生了 我知道 |
[24:43] | It’s happened to us. | 事情发生了在我们身上 |
[24:48] | I feel as if he was watching me. Not that he cares. Not anymore. | 我觉得他在看我 但是漠不关心 |
[24:53] | He keeps me on a leash so tight I can’t breathe. | 他将我紧箍得快要窒息 |
[24:56] | He’s in Long Beach, isn’t he? Relax. | 他不是在长滩吗 不用紧张 |
[24:59] | Maybe I oughtn’t to have come. | 也许我不该来 |
[25:01] | Maybe you oughtn’t. You want me to go? | 你说得对 你想我走 |
[25:04] | If you want to. Right now? | 若你想走 现在 |
[25:06] | Sure, right now. | 当然 现在… |
[25:24] | I’m crazy about you, baby. I’m crazy about you, Walter. | 我为你疯狂 我也一样 华达 |
[25:27] | That perfume on your hair. What’s the name of it? | 你头发的香水是什么牌子 |
[25:30] | I don’t know. I bought it in Ensenada. | 我不知道 在爱珊达买的 |
[25:34] | You ought to have some of that pink wine to go with it. | 我们应该和葡萄酒 |
[25:36] | The kind that bubbles. All I got is bourbon. | 起泡的那种 我只有波本酒 |
[25:40] | Bourbon is fine, Walter. | 波本酒没问题 华达 |
[25:49] | Get a couple of glasses, will you? | 拿两个杯子 |
[25:59] | Club soda? Plain water, please. | 要苏打水吗 白开水就可以 |
[26:02] | You know, about six months ago | 半年前有人 |
[26:04] | a guy slipped on a cake of soap in his bathtub… | 在浴缸被肥皂滑倒 |
[26:06] | and knocked himself cold and was drowned. | 不省人事被淹死 |
[26:08] | Only he had accident insurance. | 但他买了意外保险 |
[26:10] | So they had an autopsy and she didn’t get away with it. | 他们要求验尸 结果她被拘捕 |
[26:13] | Who didn’t? His wife. | 谁 他妻子 |
[26:17] | Then there was a case of a guy who was found shot. | 另一宗个案是一个男子中枪 |
[26:20] | His wife said he was cleaning a gun | 妻子说他在清洁枪管 |
[26:22] | and his stomach got in the way. | 不慎走火 |
[26:24] | All she collected was a three-to-ten stretch in Tehachapi. | 她结果只得到3尺乘10尺的闹房 |
[26:28] | Perhaps it was worth it to her. | 也许她觉得值得 |
[26:32] | See if you can carry that as far as the living room. | 拿杯子到客厅 |
[26:38] | It’s nice here, Walter. Who takes care of it for you? | 这里很雅致 谁替你打扫 |
[26:41] | A colored woman comes in a couple of times a week. | 一个黑人妇女每周过来打扫两次 |
[26:44] | Cook your own breakfast? Squeeze a grapefruit once in a while. | 你自己煮早餐 间中自己榨葡萄汁 |
[26:47] | Get the rest down at the corner drugstore. Sounds wonderful. | 其余的在街角的杂货店购买 听起来不错 |
[26:50] | Just strangers beside you. | 只有陌生人 |
[26:52] | You don’t know them and you don’t hate them. | 你不认识他们 也不憎恨他们 |
[26:55] | You don’t have to sit across the table… | 你不用每天早上坐在桌子对面 |
[26:57] | and smile at him and | 向着他和他的女儿 |
[26:59] | that daughter of his every morning of your life. | 微笑 |
[27:00] | What daughter? You mean the little girl on the piano? | 什么女儿 钢琴上的女孩 |
[27:03] | Lola. She lives with us. | 露娜 她跟我们同住 |
[27:05] | He thinks a lot more of her than he does of me. | 在他心目中她的地位比我高 |
[27:08] | You ever think of a divorce? He wouldn’t give me a divorce. | 你想过离婚吗 他不肯离婚 |
[27:11] | I suppose because it’d cost him too much money. | 大概因为涉及太多金钱 |
[27:12] | He hasn’t got any money. Not since he went into the oil business. | 他没有钱 自从做油田生意 |
[27:15] | But he had when you married him? | 但你嫁给他时他很富有 |
[27:17] | Yes, he had. And I wanted a home. Why not? | 是的 而我只想要一个家 有何问题 |
[27:22] | But that’s not the only reason. I was his wife’s nurse. | 但那不是唯一原因 我是他妻子的看护 |
[27:26] | She was sick a long time. | 她长期卧病 |
[27:27] | When she died, he was terribly broken up. | 她死去时 他很绝望 |
[27:31] | I pitied him so. And now you hate him. | 我对他由怜生爱 现在却恨他 |
[27:33] | Yes, Walter. He’s so mean to me. | 是 他对我很刻薄 |
[27:36] | Every time I buy a dress or a pair of shoes | 每次我买东西 |
[27:38] | he yells his head off. | 他就会斥责我 |
[27:39] | He never lets me go anywhere. He keeps me shut up. | 他从不让我离家 要我闭嘴 |
[27:41] | He’s always been mean to me. | 咄咄逼人 |
[27:43] | Even his life insurance all goes to that daughter of his. | 连保单受益人也是他女儿露娜 |
[27:47] | That Lola. Nothing for you at all? | 完全没有你的份儿 |
[27:50] | No. And nothing is just what I’m worth to him. | 不 我对他来说毫无价值 |
[27:53] | So you lie awake in the dark | 你在黑暗中 |
[27:54] | and listen to him snore and get ideas. | 听他打鼻鼾时心生一计 |
[27:57] | Walter, I don’t want to kill him. I never did. | 我不想杀他 我从来不想 |
[28:00] | Not even when he gets drunk and slaps my face. | 就算他喝醉酒掌掴我 |
[28:06] | Only sometimes you wish he was dead. Perhaps I do. | 但有时你想他死去 或者 |
[28:09] | Then you wish it was an accident, | 你希望那是意外 |
[28:10] | and you had that policy for $50,000. | 而你手握那份五万元的人寿保险 |
[28:13] | Is that it? Perhaps that, too. | 那个也是 |
[28:18] | The other night we drove home from a party. He was drunk again. | 有一晚从派对架车回家 他又喝醉 |
[28:21] | When we drove into the garage, | 回到车房时他坐着不动 |
[28:23] | he just sat there with his head on the steering wheel… | 头部栽栽方向盘 |
[28:25] | and the motor still running. | 引擎仍然在动 |
[28:27] | And I thought what it would be like if I didn’t switch it off… | 我当时在想 若我不关掉引擎 |
[28:31] | just closed the garage doors and left him there. | 关掉车房门口 让他留在车上 |
[28:34] | I’ll tell you what it’d be like. | 我来告诉你 |
[28:35] | If you had that accident policy | 若买下意外保险 |
[28:36] | and tried to pull a monoxide job… | 而那人死于一氧化碳 |
[28:38] | We’ve got a guy in our office named Keyes. | 我们公司有个叫祈巴顿的人 |
[28:40] | For him a setup like | 对他来说 |
[28:41] | that’d be just like a slice of rare roast beef. | 这类个案只是小儿科 |
[28:43] | In three minutes he’d know it wasn’t an accident. | 他不消三分钟就知道不是意外 |
[28:45] | In 10 minutes you’d be sitting under the hot lights. | 你不消十分钟就会被强光照射 |
[28:47] | In a half-hour you’d be signing your name to a confession. | 不消半小时就会签名自由 |
[28:49] | But, Walter, I didn’t do it and I’m not going to do it. | 我没做亦不会做 |
[28:51] | Not if there’s an insurance company in the picture, baby. | 只要牵涉保险公司就没办法 |
[28:54] | They know more tricks than a carload of monkeys. | 他们比猴子更懂得把戏 |
[28:56] | And if there’s a death mixed up in it, you haven’t got a prayer. | 若有人死亡 你就死罪难逃 |
[28:58] | They’ll hang you just as sure as ten dimes will buy a dollar. | 他们一定会要你问吊 |
[29:02] | And I don’t want you to hang, baby. | 我不想你被问吊 宝贝 |
[29:07] | Stop thinking about it, will you? | 不要再想了 |
[29:12] | So we just sat there. | 我们只是坐着 |
[29:14] | She started crying softly, like the rain on the window, | 她开始低泣 好像窗外的雨点 |
[29:17] | and we didn’t say anything. | 我们一句话也没有说 |
[29:19] | Maybe she had stopped thinking about it, but I hadn’t. | 也许她已经没再想 但我不是… |
[29:22] | I couldn’t. | 我无法不想 |
[29:23] | Because it all tied up with something | 这与我 |
[29:24] | I’d been thinking about for years. | 多年的想法有关 |
[29:26] | Since long before I ever ran into Phyllis Dietrichson. | 早在我未认识狄菲莉 |
[29:30] | Because you know how it is, Keyes. | 你应该明白 巴顿 |
[29:33] | In this business you can’t sleep… | 做这个行业 你总是尝试… |
[29:34] | for trying to figure out all the tricks they could pull on you. | 识破别人的诡计 |
[29:37] | You’re like the guy behind the roulette wheel… | 你就像站在俄罗斯转盘后的人 |
[29:38] | watching the customers to make sure they don’t crook the house. | 监视客人是否诈骗保险 |
[29:42] | And then one night, you get to thinking | 然后你会想 |
[29:43] | how you could crook the house yourself. | 自己能够诈骗保险 |
[29:45] | And do it smart. | 如何做得精明 |
[29:47] | Because you’ve got that wheel right under your hands. | 因为你已经控制轮盘 |
[29:49] | You know every notch in it by heart. | 你心里有数 |
[29:52] | And you figure all you need is a plant out front. | 你只需要一个计划 |
[29:54] | A shill to put down the bet. | 一个诱饵 |
[29:57] | And suddenly the doorbell rings… | 门铃突然想起 |
[29:58] | and the whole setup is right there in the room with you. | 布局就在眼前 |
[30:05] | Look, Keyes, I’m not trying to whitewash myself. | 巴顿 我不是想为自己洗脱罪名 |
[30:09] | I fought it, only I guess I didn’t fight it hard enough. | 我挣扎过 但是屈服了 |
[30:14] | The stakes were $50,000, but they were the life of a man, too. | 这件事涉及五万元 但也涉及一条性命 |
[30:18] | A man who’d never done me any dirt, except… | 一个从没得罪过我的人 |
[30:22] | he was married to a woman he didn’t care anything about. | 只是她娶了他不在乎 |
[30:26] | And I did. | 而我在乎的女人… |
[30:39] | Will you phone me? Walter? | 你会打给我吗 华达 |
[30:45] | I hate him. I loathe going back to him. | 我恨他 不想回到他身边 |
[30:48] | You believe me, don’t you, Walter? Sure I believe you. | 你相信我吗 华达 我当然相信 |
[30:54] | I can’t stand it anymore. What if they did hang me? | 我受不了 万一他们要吊死我 |
[30:57] | They’re not going to hang you, baby. | 他们不会的 宝贝 |
[30:59] | It’s better than going on this way. | 但愿如此 |
[31:01] | They’re not gonna hang you because… | 他们不会吊死你 |
[31:02] | you’re gonna do it and I’m gonna help you. | 因为你会下手而我会帮你 |
[31:04] | Do you know what you’re saying? Sure, I know what I’m saying. | 你知道自己在说什么 我当然知道… |
[31:07] | We’re gonna do it and we’re gonna do it right. | 我们会下手 而且要做得正确 |
[31:08] | And I’m the guy that knows how. Walter, you’re hurting me. | 我懂得个中道理 华达 你令我心痛 |
[31:12] | There’s not going to be any slip-up. | 不会又丝毫差错 |
[31:13] | Nothing sloppy. Nothing weak. | 没有破绽弱点 |
[31:15] | It’s got to be perfect. | 完美无暇 |
[31:29] | Call me tomorrow. But not from your house. From a booth. | 明天打给我 但不要在家中 去电话亭 |
[31:32] | And watch your step every single minute. | 小心自己的举动 |
[31:33] | This has got to be perfect, you understand? | 必须天衣无缝 |
[31:36] | Straight down the line. | 彻头彻尾 |
[31:37] | Straight down the line. | 彻头彻尾 |
[32:22] | That was it, Keyes. | 就是这样 巴顿 |
[32:24] | The machinery had started to move and nothing could stop it. | 机器开始运作 无人能阻挡它 |
[32:28] | The first thing we had to do | 首先我们要 |
[32:29] | was fix him up with that accident policy. | 骗他购意外保险 |
[32:32] | I knew he wouldn’t buy, | 我知道他不肯 |
[32:33] | but all I wanted was his signature on an application. | 但我只需要他在申请表上签名 |
[32:36] | So I had to get him to sign without his knowing | 我要骗他签名 |
[32:38] | what he was signing. | 而不自知 |
[32:40] | And I wanted another witness | 亦要另一个证人在菲莉旁边 |
[32:43] | besides Phyllis to hear me give him a sales talk. | 让证人听见我向他推销 |
[32:45] | I was trying to think with your brains, Keyes… | 我尝试用你的脑袋思考 |
[32:47] | because I wanted all the answers ready… | 因为我想在狄先生死去时 |
[32:49] | for all the questions you were gonna spring | 你所提问时的 |
[32:52] | as soon as Dietrichson was dead. | 所有答案 |
[32:54] | A couple of nights later I went to the house. | 几晚后 我去了狄宅 |
[32:57] | Everything looked fine, | 一切正常 |
[32:58] | except I didn’t like the witness Phyllis had brought in. | 但我不喜欢菲莉带来的证人 |
[33:01] | It was Dietrichson’s daughter, Lola. | 她是狄先生的女儿露娜 |
[33:04] | And it made me feel a little queer in the belly… | 这令我觉得不舒服 |
[33:07] | to have her sitting right there in the room, | 叫她坐在客厅 |
[33:09] | playing Chinese checkers… | 玩棋子 |
[33:11] | as if nothing were going to happen. | 好像不会发生任何事情 |
[33:15] | I suppose you realize, Mr. Dietrichson… | 你应该知道 |
[33:16] | that, not being an employee… | 由于你不是雇员 |
[33:18] | you are not covered by the State Compensation Insurance Act. | 你不受到州赔偿保险条例所保障 |
[33:20] | The only way you can protect yourself is | 你自保的唯一方 |
[33:22] | by having a personal policy of your own. | 是买个人保险 |
[33:24] | Yeah, I know all about that. | 对 我明白 |
[33:25] | The next thing you’ll tell me I need… | 然后你就会说 |
[33:26] | earthquake insurance and lightning insurance and hail insurance. | 我需要天灾保险 |
[33:30] | If we bought all the insurance they can think up… | 若我们买下各类保险 |
[33:32] | we’d stay broke paying for it, wouldn’t we, honey? | 那就会一贫如洗了 对吧 |
[33:34] | What keeps us broke is you going out | 令我们一贫如洗的 |
[33:36] | and buying five hats at a crack. | 是你买帽子 |
[33:37] | Who needs a hat in California? | 在加州谁人会买帽子 |
[33:39] | Dollar for dollar, Mr. Dietrichson… | 一分钱一分货 |
[33:41] | accident insurance is the cheapest coverage you can buy. | 意外保险是价钱最便宜的保险 |
[33:44] | Well, maybe some other time, Mr. Neff. I had a tough day. | 下次谈吧 我今天很累 |
[33:46] | Just as you say. | 没关系 |
[33:48] | Suppose we just settle that automobile insurance tonight. | 今晚搞好汽车保险 |
[33:51] | Sure. | 好 |
[33:52] | All we’ll need on that is for you to sign | 只需要在申请表上 |
[33:54] | the application for renewal. | 签名就能续保 |
[33:56] | Phyllis, do you mind if we don’t finish this game? | 菲莉 可以不玩吗 |
[33:57] | It bores me stiff. Got something better to do? | 我觉得很闷 你有别的事做 |
[34:00] | Yes, I have. | 是的 |
[34:02] | Father, is it all right if I run along now? | 爸 我可以出去吗 |
[34:04] | Run along where? Who with? Just Anne. We’re going roller-skating. | 去哪里 跟谁 只是安妮 我们去溜冰 |
[34:07] | Anne who? Anne Matthews. | 谁 马安妮 |
[34:09] | It’s not that Nino Zachetti again, is it? | 不又是卓尼诺吧 |
[34:11] | It better not be that Zachetti guy. | 最好别是那家伙 |
[34:13] | If I ever catch you with that… | 如果让我看见你跟他在一起 |
[34:14] | It’s Anne Matthews, I told you. | 是马安妮 我说过了 |
[34:16] | And I also told you we’re going roller-skating. | 我们只是去溜冰 |
[34:18] | I’m meeting her | 我约了他在 |
[34:19] | at the corner of Vermont and Franklin, the northwest corner… | 维蒙街法连街交界 |
[34:21] | in case you’re interested, and I’m late already. | 我已经迟到了 |
[34:23] | I hope that’s all quite clear. Good night, Father. | 我交代得很清楚 再见 爸 |
[34:26] | Good night, Phyllis. Good night, Miss Dietrichson. | 再见 菲莉再见 狄小姐 |
[34:29] | I’m sorry. Good night, Mr… Neff. | 对不起 再见…黎先生 |
[34:31] | Good night, Mr. Neff. | 再见 黎先生 |
[34:35] | A great little fighter for her weight. | 身型娇小 说话却厉害 |
[34:39] | Now, if you’ll just sign these, Mr. Dietrichson. | 请你在这里签名 狄先生 |
[34:41] | Sign what? The applications for the auto renewals. | 签什么 汽车续保申请 |
[34:43] | So you’ll be covered until the new policies are issued. | 你在新保单发出前会得到保障 |
[34:45] | When will that be? About a week. | 几时 大约一星期 |
[34:47] | Just so I’m covered when I drive up north. | 我架车往北时会得到保障 |
[34:49] | San Francisco? Palo Alto. | 三藩市 帕洛阿尔托 |
[34:51] | He was a Stanford man, Mr. Neff. | 他是史丹福人 黎先生 |
[34:53] | And he still goes to his class reunion every year. | 每年都会出席校友宴会 |
[34:55] | What’s wrong with that? | 那有什么问题 |
[34:57] | Can’t I have a little fun, even once a year? | 我不能每年去关心一下 |
[34:59] | Great football school, Stanford. | 史丹福的足球很著名 |
[35:01] | Did you play football, Mr. Dietrichson? Left guard. | 你打足球吗 狄先生 左卫 |
[35:03] | Almost made the varsity, too. Where do I sign? | 几乎入选校队 签哪里 |
[35:04] | The bottom line. | 那条底线 |
[35:10] | Both copies, please. Sign twice, huh? | 两份都要 签两次 |
[35:13] | Yes. One is the agent’s copy. | 对 一份送给业员 |
[35:14] | I need it for my files. Files. Duplicates. Triplicates. | 我要存档 存档 一式两份 一式三份 |
[35:24] | Thank you, Mr. Dietrichson. | 谢谢 |
[35:25] | Don’t worry about the check, | 关于支票 |
[35:26] | I can pick it up at your office some morning. | 我明天到你公司取 |
[35:28] | How much you taking me for? $147.50. | 要多少钱 147 5元 |
[35:30] | I think that’s enough insurance for one evening, Mr. Neff. | 今晚到此为止吧 黎先生 |
[35:33] | Plenty. | 的确很足够 |
[35:38] | Bring me some soda when you come up, | 回来时给我苏打水 |
[35:39] | Phyllis. Good night, Mr. Neff. | 菲莉 晚安 黎先生 |
[35:41] | Good night, Mr. Dietrichson. | 晚安 狄先生 |
[35:42] | I think you left your hat in the hall, Mr. Neff. | 你的帽子放了在走廊 黎先生 |
[36:00] | Good night, Mr. Neff. | 晚安 黎先生 |
[36:05] | All right, Walter? Fine. | 好了吗 华达 好 |
[36:06] | He signed it, didn’t he? Sure he signed it. You saw him. | 他签了 是不是 当然 你亲眼看见 |
[36:08] | Now, listen. That trip to Palo Alto. When does he leave? | 听着 他何时会去帕洛阿尔托 |
[36:10] | End of the month. | 月底 |
[36:11] | He drives, huh? He always drives. | 他会驾车吗 他一向驾车 |
[36:12] | Not this time. You’re gonna make him take the train. | 今次不行 你要叫他坐火车 |
[36:14] | Why? Because it’s all worked out for a train. | 为什么 因为保单适合他坐火车 |
[36:15] | Listen, baby. There’s a clause in every accident policy… | 每个意外保险 |
[36:18] | a little thing called double indemnity. | 都有双重保险条文 |
[36:20] | The insurance companies put it in | 保险公司给顾客 |
[36:21] | as a sort of come-on for the customers. | 的额外优惠 |
[36:23] | That means they pay double on certain accidents. | 他们在某种情况下会付双倍 |
[36:25] | The kind that almost never happen. | 那些情况几乎没机会发生 |
[36:27] | Like for instance, if a guy is killed on the train… | 例如那人在火车上死亡 |
[36:29] | they pay $100,000 instead of $50,000. | 他们就会付十万而不是五万 |
[36:32] | I see. We’re hitting it for the limit, baby. | 我明白了 |
[36:34] | That’s why it’s got to be the train. | 我们要取得最多 所以要坐火车 |
[36:38] | It’ll be the train, Walter. Just the way you want it. | 就听你的话 他会坐火车 |
[36:41] | Straight down the line. | 彻头彻尾 |
[37:02] | Hello, Mr. Neff. | 嗨 黎先生 |
[37:05] | It’s me. | 是我 |
[37:07] | Is anything wrong? I’ve been waiting for you. | 有什么事 我在等你 |
[37:10] | For me? Why? | 等我 为什么 |
[37:11] | I thought you could let me ride with you, if you’re going my way. | 我想你载我一程 若你顺路 |
[37:19] | Which way would that be? Down the hill. Down Vermont. | 你想去哪里 下山去维蒙 |
[37:23] | Sure. Vermont and Franklin. Northwest corner, wasn’t it? | 当然 维蒙街与法连街 是吗 |
[37:26] | Be glad to, Miss Dietrichson. | 没问题 狄小姐 |
[37:32] | Going roller-skating, huh? | 你去溜冰 |
[37:34] | You like roller-skating? I can take it or leave it. | 你喜欢溜冰 我没所谓 |
[37:38] | Only tonight you’re leaving it? Yes, I am. | 但今晚你不会溜冰 |
[37:43] | I’m having a very tough time at home. | 对 我在家里很不开心 |
[37:45] | My father doesn’t understand me and Phyllis hates me. | 我爸不明白我 莉菲恨我 |
[37:49] | Sounds tough, all right. That’s why I have to lie sometimes. | 听起来真糟 所以我间中会说谎 |
[37:53] | You mean it’s not Vermont and Franklin? | 你不是去维蒙街与法连街 |
[37:54] | It’s Vermont and Franklin all right. | 的确是那里 |
[37:56] | Only it’s not Anne Matthews. It’s Nino Zachetti. | 但不是马尼安 而是卓尼诺 |
[38:00] | You won’t tell on me, will you? | 你不会揭穿我 对吧 |
[38:02] | I’d have to think it over. Nino’s not what my father says at all. | 我要考虑一下 尼诺不是我爸所说那么差劲 |
[38:05] | He’s just had bad luck. He was doing premed at USC… | 他只是际遇不好 他在南加州大学读医科 |
[38:08] | and working nights as an usher in a theater downtown. | 晚上在剧院做带位员 |
[38:12] | Got behind in his credits, flunked out. | 因为学分不足而被赶出校 |
[38:14] | Then he lost his job for talking back. He’s so hot-headed. | 然后与上司顶嘴被解雇 |
[38:19] | Becomes expensive, doesn’t it? | 代价真大 |
[38:21] | Guess my father thinks nobody’s good enough for his daughter… | 我爸大概认为没有配得上他女儿 |
[38:23] | except maybe the guy that owns Standard Oil. | 除了标准石油的老板 |
[38:26] | I wish he’d see it my way. I can’t give Nino up. | 我想他知道 我不能放弃尼诺 |
[38:31] | It’ll all straighten out, Miss Dietrichson. | 船到桥头自然直 |
[38:33] | I suppose it will sometime. | 我想是吧 |
[38:35] | This is the corner right here, Mr. Neff. | 就是这里 黎先生 |
[38:40] | Nino? Over here, Nino. | 尼诺 过来 尼诺 |
[38:51] | This is Mr. Neff, Nino. Hello, Nino. | 黎先生 尼诺… 你好 尼诺 |
[38:54] | The name is Zachetti. | 我姓卓 |
[38:56] | Nino, please. Mr. Neff gave me a ride from the house. | 尼诺 不要这样 黎先生送我来 |
[38:58] | I told him all about us. | 我说起我们的事 |
[38:59] | Why does he have to get told about us? | 你为什么跟他说我们的事 |
[39:01] | We don’t have to worry about Mr. Neff, Nino. | 不用担心黎先生 |
[39:03] | I’m not doing any worrying. | 我不是担心 |
[39:05] | Just don’t you broadcast so much. | 只是不想你太高调 |
[39:06] | Well, what’s the matter with you, Nino? | 你怎么了 |
[39:08] | Why, he’s a friend. I don’t have any friends. | 他是我朋友 我没有朋友 |
[39:10] | If I did, I like to pick them myself. Come on. | 就算有 我也想亲自挑选 |
[39:13] | Look, sonny, she needed a ride, so I brought her along. | 她要我载她一程 就此而已 |
[39:15] | Is that anything to get tough about? | 你有什么不满 |
[39:17] | All right, Lola, make up your mind. Are you coming or aren’t you? | 露娜 我决定 跟不跟我来 |
[39:20] | Of course I’m coming. | 当然 |
[39:24] | Don’t mind him, Mr. Neff. And thanks a lot for the ride. | 别介意他 谢谢载我一程 |
[39:28] | You’re awfully sweet. Nino? | 你真好人 尼诺 |
[39:35] | She was a nice kid. | 她是个好女孩 |
[39:37] | Maybe he was a little better than he sounded. | 他就是有点自视过高 |
[39:40] | But right then | 但想起车尾的 |
[39:43] | it gave me a nasty feeling to be thinking about them at all… | 公事包 |
[39:44] | with that briefcase right behind my head | 放着她父亲 |
[39:46] | that had her father’s signature in it… | 签署的文件 |
[39:48] | and what that signature meant. | 就令我浑身不自然 |
[39:50] | It meant he was a dead pigeon. | 那个签名代表他命不久矣 |
[39:52] | It was only a question of time, and not very much time at that. | 只是时间问题 而且时间无多 |
[39:56] | You know that big market up on Los Feliz, Keyes? | 巴顿 知道洛菲利兹的市集 |
[40:00] | That’s the place Phyllis and I had picked for a meeting place. | 那是菲莉和我挑选的会面点 |
[40:03] | I already had most of the plan in my head… | 我已经几乎有全盘计划 |
[40:05] | but a lot of details had to be worked out. | 但还有很多细节需要斟酌 |
[40:08] | And she had to know them all by heart when the time came. | 她需要载时机到时了解一切 |
[40:12] | We had to be very careful from now on. | 从今以后 我们必须小心翼翼 |
[40:15] | We couldn’t let anybody see us together. | 不能让人看见我们一起 |
[40:17] | We couldn’t even talk to each other on the telephone. | 我们甚至不能在电话上交谈 |
[40:20] | Not from her house or at my office, anyway. | 不能从她家中及我的办公室 |
[40:24] | So she was to be in the market every morning about 11:00, | 她每天早上11时 |
[40:26] | buying stuff. | 会到市集购物 |
[40:28] | And I could sort of run into her there any day I wanted to. | 我随时都可以碰上她 |
[40:32] | Sort of accidentally on purpose. | 装着偶然 |
[40:35] | Walter, I wanted to… Not so loud. | 华达 我想… 别那么大声 |
[40:39] | I wanted to talk to you, ever since yesterday. | 我从昨天起就想跟你谈 |
[40:41] | Let me talk first. It’s all set. | 让我先说 事情已搞定 |
[40:43] | The accident policy came through. I’ve got it in my pocket. | 保单已经批核 就在我的口袋里 |
[40:46] | I got his check, too. I saw him down in the oil fields. | 还有他的支票 我在油田见过他 |
[40:49] | He thought he was paying for the auto insurance. | 他以为是支付汽车保险 |
[40:51] | The check’s just made out to the company, | 支票抬头 |
[40:52] | so it could be for anything. | 只是保险公司 |
[40:54] | But you have to send a check for the auto insurance, see? | 但你要寄出汽车保险的支票 |
[40:57] | It’ll be all right that way, | 不会有问题 |
[40:58] | because one of the cars is in your name. | 其中一部车是你的名下 |
[41:00] | Open your bag. Quick. | 打开手袋 快点 |
[41:07] | Can you get in the safe-deposit box? | 你能打开保险箱吗 |
[41:08] | Yes. We both have keys. Fine. | 对 我俩都有钥匙 |
[41:10] | But don’t put the policy in there yet. I’ll tell you when. | 好 但暂时不会放保单进去 我会再告诉你 |
[41:13] | Remember, you never saw it, you never even touched it, | 你从没见过或碰过 |
[41:15] | you understand? | 记得吗 |
[41:15] | I’m not a fool. Okay. When is he leaving on the train? | 我不是傻瓜 好的 他何时会搭火车 |
[41:18] | That’s just it. He isn’t going. What? | 他不去了 什么 |
[41:20] | That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you. The trip is off. | 我就是想跟你说 行程取消了 |
[41:22] | What happened? | 发生什么事 |
[41:25] | Mister, could you reach me that package of baby food? | 先生 可以帮我拿婴儿食物 |
[41:28] | That one up there? | 上面那一包 |
[41:31] | I don’t know why they always put what I want on the top shelf. | 不明白为何总是放在上面 |
[41:37] | Go ahead. I’m listening. | 继续说 我在听 |
[41:38] | He had a fall-down at the well. Broke his leg. It’s in a cast. | 他从油井掉下 跌断腿打石膏 |
[41:41] | Broke his leg? What do we do now, Walter? | 跌断腿 现在怎办 |
[41:44] | Nothing. We just wait. Wait for what? | 只有等待 等待什么 |
[41:46] | Until he can take the train. | 直至他能再搭火车 |
[41:48] | I told you it’s got to be the train. | 我说过一定要搭火车 |
[41:49] | But we can’t wait. I can’t go on like this. | 我们不能等 我再也受不了 |
[41:50] | Look, we’re not gonna grab a hammer | 我们不能 |
[41:52] | and do it quick, just to get it over with. | 拿起追子杀人 |
[41:53] | There are other ways. We’re not gonna do it other ways. | 还有其他办法 不可以用其他方法 |
[41:56] | But we can’t leave it like this. | 但不可以就此作罢 |
[41:57] | What do you suppose would happen | 若他发现 |
[41:59] | if he found out about the accident policy? | 意外保险怎么办 |
[42:00] | Plenty. But not as bad as sitting in that death house. | 我明白 但总好过被判死刑 |
[42:03] | Don’t ever talk like that. | 别说这种话 |
[42:04] | Don’t let’s start losing our heads, that’s all. | 我们要冷静 |
[42:06] | It’s not our heads. It’s our nerve we’re losing. | 我快要失去耐性 |
[42:12] | Excuse me. | 借过 |
[42:16] | We’re gonna do it right. That’s all I said. | 我们一定要做得正确 |
[42:18] | It’s the waiting that’s getting me. | 最难忍受就是等待 |
[42:19] | It’s getting me just as bad, baby. | 我很难过 |
[42:21] | But we’ve got to wait. Maybe we have, Walter, only… | 但是我们一定要等 你说得对 |
[42:24] | it’s so tough without you. It’s like a wall between us. | 没有你日子很难过 好像我们之间有一道墙壁 |
[42:29] | I better go, baby. I’m thinking of you every minute. | 我要走了 我无时无刻想念你 |
[42:39] | After that, a full week went by and I didn’t see her once. | 整整一个星期 我都没有找她 |
[42:42] | I tried to keep my mind off her and off the whole idea. | 我试图忘记她及整项计划 |
[42:46] | I kept telling myself | 可能命运 |
[42:47] | that maybe those Fates they say watch over you… | 在幕后操纵 |
[42:49] | had gotten together and broken his leg to give me a way out. | 弄断他的腿 让我抽身而退 |
[42:53] | Then it was the 15th of June. You may remember that date, Keyes. | 那天是6月15日 你或者记得 巴顿 |
[42:58] | You came into my office around 3:00 in the afternoon. | 你在下午三时来我的办公室 |
[43:02] | Hello, Keyes. | 嗨 巴顿 |
[43:03] | I just came from Norton’s office. | 我刚从卢顿的办公室回来 |
[43:05] | The semiannual sales records are out. | 半年度营业报告公布了 |
[43:06] | You’re high man, Walter. | 你是最佳销售员 |
[43:08] | That’s twice in a row. Congratulations. | 连续第二次 恭喜 |
[43:09] | Thanks. How would you like a cheap drink? | 谢谢 想喝一杯吗 |
[43:12] | How would you like a $50 cut in salary? | 你有兴趣减薪五十元吗 |
[43:14] | Do I laugh now or wait till it gets funny? No, I’m serious. | 我应该现在就笑吗 我说真的 |
[43:17] | I’ve just been talking to Norton. | 我刚跟卢敦谈过 |
[43:19] | Too much stuff piling up on my desk. | 我的文件堆积如山 |
[43:20] | Too much pressure on my nerves. | 压力太大 |
[43:22] | I spend half the night walking up and down in my bed. | 整晚无法入睡 |
[43:24] | I’ve got to have an assistant and I thought of you. | 需要一位助手 我即时想到你 |
[43:26] | Me? Why pick on me? | 我 为什么找我 |
[43:27] | Well, because I’ve got a crazy idea you might be good at the job. | 因为我觉得你会很称职 |
[43:30] | That’s crazy, all right. I’m a salesman. | 太荒谬了 我是销售员 |
[43:31] | Yeah. A peddler, a gladhander, a backslapper. | 对 你长袖善舞 能文能武 |
[43:35] | You’re too good to be a salesman. | 做销售员实在太浪费 |
[43:36] | Nobody’s too good to be a salesman. Phooey! | 人人都配得上做销售员 |
[43:38] | All you guys do is just ring doorbells | 你们只是按门钟 |
[43:41] | and dish out a smooth line of monkey talk. | 说一番无聊话 |
[43:42] | What’s troubling you is that $50 cut, isn’t it? | 你最不满意是减薪五十元吧 |
[43:44] | Well, that’d trouble anybody. Now look, Walter. | 人人都会觉得不满意 |
[43:46] | The job I’m talking about takes brains and integrity. | 听着 这工作需要头脑与正义感 |
[43:49] | It takes more guts than there is in 50 salesmen. | 所需得胆量超过五十元得价值 |
[43:51] | It’s the hottest job in the business. | 在保险业中最炙手可热得职位 |
[43:52] | Yeah, but it’s still a desk job. | 对 但那是办公室工作 |
[43:53] | I don’t want to be nailed to a desk. Desk job? | 我不想锁在办公室 办公室工作 |
[43:56] | Is that all you can see in it? | 这是你的想法 |
[43:57] | Just a hard chair to park your pants on from 9:00 to 5:00, huh? | 朝九晚五 文风不动 |
[44:00] | Just a pile of papers to shuffle around, | 大堆文件 |
[44:02] | and five sharp pencils… | 飞来飘去 |
[44:03] | and a scratch pad to make figures on, | 五支铅笔和便条纸 |
[44:06] | maybe a little doodling on the side. | 心不在焉地乱涂 |
[44:08] | Well, that’s not the way I look at it, Walter. | 我可不是这样认为 |
[44:10] | To me, a claims man is a surgeon, | 对我来说 索偿专员是外科医生 |
[44:13] | that desk is an operating table… | 办公桌是手术台 |
[44:14] | and those pencils are scalpels and bone chisels. | 铅笔是手术刀及骨盘 |
[44:17] | And those papers are not just | 纸张不只是 |
[44:18] | forms and statistics and claims for compensation. | 索偿表格及数据 |
[44:21] | They’re alive. They’re packed with drama… | 他们是活生生 充满戏剧感 |
[44:24] | with twisted hopes and crooked dreams. | 包含峰回路转地希望与梦想 |
[44:26] | A claims man, Walter, is a doctor and a bloodhound and a… | 索偿专员是医生 侦探… |
[44:32] | Who? Okay, hold on a minute. | 谁 好 等一下 |
[44:34] | A claims man is a doctor | 索偿医生是医生 |
[44:36] | and a bloodhound and a cop and a judge and a jury… | 侦探 警察及法官 |
[44:38] | and a father confessor, all in one. | 陪审团 告解神父 集于一身 |
[44:39] | And you want to tell me you’re not interested? | 你居然说没有兴趣 |
[44:41] | You don’t want to work with your brains? | 你不想用脑袋工作 |
[44:42] | All you want to work is with your finger on the doorbell… | 你只想用手指按门钟 |
[44:44] | for a few bucks more a week. There’s a dame on your phone. | 每星期多赚几块 有女人找你 |
[44:48] | Walter Neff speaking. I had to call you, Walter. | 我是黎华达 我要打给你 |
[44:51] | It’s very urgent. Are you with somebody? | 事关紧急 有人在旁边吗 |
[44:53] | Yes, I am. Can’t I call you back, Margie? | 是 我可以再回电 玛琪 |
[44:57] | No, you can’t. I’ve only got a minute. It can’t wait. | 不可以 很快就说完 |
[45:00] | Listen. He’s going tonight. On the train. Are you listening? | 他今晚要出发 坐火车 你在听吗 |
[45:04] | Walter? Yeah. I’m listening, Margie. | 华达 我在听 玛琪 |
[45:07] | Only, make it snappy, will you? He’s on crutches. | 有话快说 他要那拐杖 |
[45:10] | The doctor says | 医生说 |
[45:11] | he can go if he’s careful. The change will do him good. | 若他小心就可以出发 |
[45:13] | It’s wonderful, Walter. Just the way you wanted it, on a train. | 实在太好了 如你所愿 他会坐火车 |
[45:16] | Only with the crutches it makes it much better, doesn’t it? | 他拿着拐杖不是更好吗 |
[45:19] | Yeah. Yeah, that’s 100% better. | 对 非常好 |
[45:23] | Hold the line a minute, will you? | 稍等一下 |
[45:24] | Keyes, suppose I join you in your office? | 巴顿 我去办公室找你 |
[45:26] | That’s all right. I’ll wait. | 没关系 我等你 |
[45:27] | Only tell her not to take all day. | 叫她不要说一整天 |
[45:31] | Go ahead. | 继续说 |
[45:33] | It’s the 10:15 from Glendale. I’m driving him. | 是格兰岱的10时15分火车 我开车送他 |
[45:36] | It’s still the same dark street, isn’t it? | 仍然是那条黑暗的街道 |
[45:38] | And the signal is three honks on the horn. Okay. Anything else? | 讯号是三下响号 好 还有别的 |
[45:42] | No. | 没有 |
[45:43] | Oh, uh… | 哦… |
[45:44] | what color did you pick? | 你挑选了什么颜色 |
[45:46] | Blue. Navy blue. And the cast is on his left leg. | 蓝色 海军蓝色 左边打石膏 |
[45:50] | Mmm-hmm. | 恩 |
[45:51] | Yeah, that suits me fine. | 好 没问题 |
[45:53] | This is it, Walter. I’m shaking like a leaf. | 对了 华达 我在打冷战 |
[45:55] | But it’s straight down the line for both of us. | 但我们会彻头彻尾 |
[45:59] | I love you, Walter. Goodbye. | 我爱你 华达 再见 |
[46:03] | Sorry, Keyes. What’s the matter? | 对不起 巴顿 |
[46:05] | Dames chasing you again? Or still? Or is it none of my business? | 又有女孩追求你 可能这与我无关 |
[46:08] | If I told you it was a customer… | 若我说那是客人… |
[46:10] | Margie. I bet she drinks from the bottle. | 玛琪 她大概用酒瓶子喝酒 |
[46:12] | Why don’t you settle down and get married, Walter? | 你为什么还不成家立正室 |
[46:14] | Why don’t you, for instance? I almost did, once. Long time ago. | 你又为什么呢 我几乎结婚 很多年前的事 |
[46:18] | Now look, Keyes, I’ve got to call on a prospect. | 巴顿 我要打电话给客人 |
[46:20] | Even had the church picked out, the dame and I. | 连教堂也挑选了 |
[46:22] | She had a white satin dress with flounces on it. | 她有一件荷边装饰的缎裙 |
[46:24] | I was on my way to the jewelry store to buy the ring. | 我正走去珠宝店买戒指 |
[46:27] | And then suddenly that little man in here started working on me. | 突然有个不祥预兆 |
[46:30] | So you went back and had her investigated? | 于是折返找她 |
[46:32] | Yeah. And the stuff that came out… | 对 事情终于水落石出 |
[46:35] | She’d been dyeing her hair ever since she was 16. | 她自从16岁就开始染发 |
[46:38] | There was a manic depressive in her family, on her mother’s side. | 她有家族遗传的兴奋忧郁症 是母系遗传病 |
[46:40] | She already had one husband. | 她已经有丈夫 |
[46:42] | He was a professional pool player in Baltimore. | 他是巴尔的摩职业桌球手… |
[46:44] | And as for her brother… I get the general idea. | 我大致明白 |
[46:46] | She was a tramp from a long line of tramps. | 她水性杨花 |
[46:48] | Yeah. All right, all right. | 对 好的 |
[46:50] | Now what do I say to Norton? What about this job I want you for? | 我该怎样跟尼诺说那份工作 |
[46:53] | I don’t think I want it, Keyes. | 我不会接受 |
[46:54] | Thanks just the same. Fair enough. | 谢谢你 好吧 |
[46:58] | Only get this, I picked you for the job… | 我挑选你 |
[47:00] | not because I think you’re so darn smart… | 不是因为你聪明 |
[47:02] | but because I thought you were a shade less dumb | 而是因为你 |
[47:04] | than the rest of the outfit. | 不像打扮般肤浅 |
[47:13] | Guess I was wrong. You’re not smarter, Walter. | 我大概想错了 你并不高明 |
[47:16] | You’re just a little taller. | 只是比较高 |
[47:29] | Yes, Keyes. | 是的 巴顿 |
[47:30] | Those Fates I was talking about had only been stalling me off. | 我所说的命运只是拖延了我 |
[47:34] | Now they had thrown the switch. The gears had meshed. | 现在万事具备 一触即发 |
[47:38] | The time for thinking had all run out. | 给人思考的时间已经溜走 |
[47:41] | I wanted my movements accounted | 我希望自己 |
[47:42] | for up to the last possible moment. | 能考虑至最后一刻 |
[47:45] | So when I left the office | 当我离开办公室 |
[47:47] | I put my rate book on the desk as if I had forgotten it. | 我假意的将运算薄留在桌上 |
[47:49] | That was part of my alibi. | 这是我不在场证据之一 |
[47:52] | From here on, it was a question of following the timetable… | 然后就是按照时间表 |
[47:55] | move by move. | 按部就班 |
[47:58] | I got home about 7:00 and drove right into the garage. | 我大约7时回家 将车驶到车房 |
[48:01] | This was another item to establish my alibi. | 这是另一个步在场证据 |
[48:06] | Hi, Mr. Neff. Hello, Charlie. | 嗨 黎先生 你好 查理 |
[48:08] | How about giving the heap a wash job? | 请帮我洗车 |
[48:10] | How soon you gonna want it? | 你何时要 |
[48:11] | I got a couple cars ahead of you. | 我还有几部车 |
[48:13] | Any time you get to it, Charlie. | 没所谓 |
[48:14] | I’m staying in tonight. Okay. | 我今晚留在家 好 |
[48:17] | Up in my apartment I called Lou Schwartz… | 会寓所后我打给舒路尔 |
[48:19] | one of the salesmen that shared my office. | 与我同一办公室的保险员 |
[48:21] | He lived in Westwood, | 他住在西木区 |
[48:22] | so it was a toll call and there’d be a record of it. | 那是长途电话 会有记录 |
[48:24] | I told him I’d forgotten my rate book and needed some dope… | 我跟他说我忘记拿运算薄 |
[48:27] | on the public liability bond I was figuring. | 需要公众责任公债的资料… |
[48:30] | I changed into | 我换上 |
[48:31] | a navy blue suit like Dietrichson was going to wear. | 海军蓝色的西装 |
[48:34] | Lou Schwartz called me back and gave me a lot of figures. | 舒路尔回复我 并给我大量数据 |
[48:37] | I stuffed a hand towel and a roll of adhesive into my pockets… | 我在口袋里放了毛巾及纸 |
[48:39] | so I could fake something | 让我可以假装 |
[48:41] | that looked like a cast on a broken leg. | 打石膏的短腿 |
[48:43] | Next, I stuck a card inside the telephone box… | 接着 我在电话里放了一张卡片 |
[48:46] | so that it would fall down if the bell rang. | 若电话铃响过 卡片就会掉下 |
[48:48] | That way I’d know if anybody had called me while I was away. | 那么若有人打来 我就会知道 |
[48:52] | Then I did the same thing to the doorbell | 然后在门铃 |
[48:54] | in case anybody came to see me. | 亦放了一张卡片 |
[48:57] | I left the apartment by the service stairs. Nobody saw me. | 我从佣人楼梯离开大厦 没人看见我 |
[49:01] | I walked all the way from my apartment to the Dietrichson house. | 我从寓所前往狄宅 |
[49:05] | I didn’t want to take the bus… | 我不想搭巴士 |
[49:06] | because there was always the chance | 以免有人 |
[49:08] | that someone might remember seeing me on it. | 看见我 |
[49:10] | I was being that careful. | 我就是如此谨慎 |
[49:12] | I could smell that honeysuckle again. | 我又嗅到忍冬的气味 |
[49:15] | Only it was even stronger, now that it was night. | 但这次更强烈 现在是晚上 |
[49:23] | I slid the garage door open as quietly as I could. | 我悄悄地打开车房门口 |
[49:26] | She’d backed the sedan in, just the way I told her to. | 她就如我所说将车泊好 |
[49:29] | I’d figured it was safer that way… | 我认为这样会比较安全 |
[49:31] | in case he got into the car before she drove it out. | 以防他在她开车前上车 |
[49:34] | I got into the back of the car. | 我来到车的后座 |
[49:36] | I lay there on the floor and waited. | 躺在地上等待 |
[49:39] | All the time I was thinking about | 我只想到前往 |
[49:40] | that dark street on the way to the station… | 火车站的黑暗街头 |
[49:42] | where I was to do it… | 我将会在火车站下手 |
[49:44] | and the three honks on the horn that were to be the signal. | 以及那三下作讯号的响号 |
[49:47] | About 10 minutes later they came down. | 十分钟后 他们就下来 |
[49:49] | All right, honey? Yeah, I’m all right. | 你还好吧 我很好 |
[49:51] | I’ll have the car out in a second. | 我马上开车出来 |
[50:30] | Take it easy, honey. We’ve got lots of time. Yeah. | 慢慢来 还有时间 对 |
[50:53] | Remember what the doctor said. If you get careless… | 记得医生怎说 |
[50:55] | you might end up with a shorter leg. | 若你不小心也许会变成长短腿 |
[50:57] | So what? I could break the other one and match them up again. | 那又怎样 打断另一条就可以 |
[51:01] | It makes you feel pretty good to get away from me, doesn’t it? | 离开我你觉得很高兴 是吗 |
[51:04] | It’s only for four days. I’ll be back Monday at the latest. | 只是四天 最迟星期一就回来 |
[51:23] | This is not the right street. Why did you turn here? | 不是这条街 为什么在这里转 |
[51:31] | What are you doing that for? | 你在做什么 |
[51:34] | What are you honking the horn for? | 按响号做什么 |
[52:36] | You take care of the redcap and the conductor. | 你应付搬运工人及列车员 |
[52:38] | Don’t worry. Keep away from me as much as you can. | 不用担心 尽量不要让他们接近我 |
[52:41] | Tell them I don’t want to be helped. | 跟他们说我不需要协助 |
[52:42] | I said, don’t worry, Walter. | 我说过不用担心 华达 |
[52:43] | You start as soon as the train leaves. | 火车离开后你就启程 |
[52:46] | When you get to the refinery, | 到达炼厂后 |
[52:47] | turn off the highway onto the dirt road. | 离开公路驶到泥路 |
[52:48] | From there it’s exactly eight-tenths of a mile… | 十分之八里的路程 |
[52:50] | to the dump beside the tracks. Remember. | 记得吗 |
[52:52] | I remember everything. No speeding. | 我全都记得 不要超速 |
[52:55] | You don’t want any cops stopping you with him in the back. | 你不会希望被警方截停 而他在后面 |
[52:58] | Walter, we’ve been through all that so many times. | 我们已经彩排过很多次 |
[53:01] | When you leave the highway, turn off all your lights. | 离开公路时关掉所有灯光 |
[53:03] | I’ll be back on the observation platform. | 我会到瞭望台 |
[53:05] | I’ll drop off as close to the spot as I can. | 我会尽快在预定位置跳车 |
[53:08] | Let the train pass, then dim your lights twice. | 火车经过后闪两次灯光 |
[53:13] | San Francisco train, lady? Car 9, section 11. | 三藩市火车 小姐 9号车 11号室 |
[53:16] | Just my husband. | 只是我丈夫 |
[53:16] | Car 9, section 11? This way please. | 9号车 11号室 这边请 |
[53:27] | Thank you. My husband doesn’t like to be helped. | 谢谢 我丈夫不需要别人协助 |
[53:29] | Car number 8. Up there. | 8号车在那里 |
[53:36] | Car 9, section 11. Thank you. | 9号车 11号室 谢谢 |
[53:42] | Here’re the tickets. Take good care of yourself with that leg. | 车票在这里 小心保护腿 |
[53:45] | Yeah. You take it easy driving home. | 对 你架车回家要小心 |
[53:46] | I’ll miss you, honey. Section 11, sir. | 我想念你 宝贝 11号室 |
[53:52] | All aboard! Thank you. | 全部登车 谢谢 |
[53:54] | Goodbye, honey. All aboard! | 再见 全部登车 |
[54:02] | Good luck, honey. | 祝你好运 |
[54:12] | Porter, will you make up my berth right away? | 服务员 请帮我弄好座位 |
[54:13] | Yes, sir. | 是 |
[54:15] | I’m going back to the observation car for a smoke. | 我去瞭望台抽一口烟 |
[54:16] | Right this way, sir. | 是 这边 |
[54:50] | Like a chair? | 你要坐吗 |
[54:54] | No, thanks. I’d rather stand. | 不 我想站一下 |
[54:58] | You going far? Palo Alto. | 你去很远吗 帕洛阿尔托 |
[55:02] | My name’s Jackson. | 我姓谢 |
[55:03] | I’m going all the way to Medford. Medford, Oregon. | 要去美德福 俄勒岗美德福 |
[55:07] | I had a broken arm once. | 我曾试过断腿 |
[55:09] | That darn cast itches something fierce, doesn’t it? | 那个石膏令你痕痒难耐 是吗 |
[55:13] | I thought I’d go crazy with mine. | 我差点疼得发疯 |
[55:15] | Palo Alto’s a nice little town. You a Stanford man? | 帕尔阿尔托是个不错的小镇 你是史丹福人 |
[55:20] | I used to be. I’ll bet you left something behind. | 我以前是 你似乎留下了东西 |
[55:25] | I always do. | 我经常如此 |
[55:27] | My cigar case. | 我的雪茄盒 |
[55:28] | I guess I left it in my overcoat back in the section. | 应该在我的车厢里的外衣 |
[55:30] | Would you care to roll yourself a cigarette, Mister… | 你想自己卷支烟吗 未请教… |
[55:33] | Dietrichson. | 我姓狄 |
[55:35] | No thanks, I really prefer a cigar. | 不 我想抽雪茄 |
[55:38] | Maybe the porter could… Well, I could get your cigars for you. | 也许服务员可以… |
[55:41] | Be glad to, Mr. Dietrichson. If it’s not too much trouble. | 我帮你去拿 狄先生 希望不会麻烦到你 |
[55:45] | Car 9, section 11. Car 9, section 11. | 9号车 11号室 9号车 11号室 |
[55:48] | With pleasure. | 乐意效劳 |
[56:33] | Okay. This has gotta be fast. | 没问题 事不宜迟 |
[56:35] | Here, take his hat. Pick up the crutches back on the tracks. | 拿着他的帽子 去路轨拾回拐杖 |
[57:07] | Okay, baby. That’s it. | 好了 行了 |
[58:08] | All right. Let’s go. | 开车吧 |
[58:19] | On the way back, we went over once more… | 回途中我们再彩排一次… |
[58:21] | what she was to do at the inquest… | 她在审讯时的做法 |
[58:23] | if they had one, and about the insurance, when that came up. | 假如有审讯 以及保险的问题 |
[58:26] | I was afraid she might go to pieces a little, | 我担心她 |
[58:28] | now that we had done it. | 会精神崩溃 |
[58:30] | But she was perfect. No nerves. | 但她表现出色 毫不紧张 |
[58:32] | Not a tear, not even a blink of the eyes. | 没有半滴眼泪 连眨 眼都没有 |
[58:35] | She dropped me a block from my apartment house. | 她在我寓所之外一条街放下我 |
[58:39] | Walter, what’s the matter? Aren’t you going to kiss me? | 华达 怎么了 你不吻我 |
[58:47] | It’s straight down the line, isn’t it? | 彻头彻尾 不是吗 |
[58:55] | I love you, Walter. I love you, baby. | 我爱你 华达 我也爱你 |
[59:11] | It was two minutes past 11:00, | 11时2分 |
[59:13] | as I went up the service stairs again. | 我从雇人楼梯返家 |
[59:15] | Nobody saw me this time either. | 今次亦没人看见我 |
[59:18] | In the apartment I checked the bells. | 我回家后检查门铃 |
[59:19] | The cards hadn’t moved. No calls. No visitors. | 卡片没有动 没人打来 没访客 |
[59:24] | Then I changed my clothes again. | 然后我又换衣服 |
[59:26] | That left one last thing to do. | 只剩下一件事未完成 |
[59:29] | I had to go down to the garage. I wanted Charlie to see me again. | 我要去车房 我想查理再看见我 |
[59:39] | You gonna use your car, after all? I’m not quite through. | 你要用车吗 我还未洗好 |
[59:42] | Well, that’s all right, Charlie. | 没关系 |
[59:44] | Just going up to the drugstore to get something to eat. | 我只是去杂货店买东西 |
[59:47] | Been working upstairs all night. | 我一直在工作 |
[59:49] | My stomach’s getting a little sore at me. | 有点胃痛 |
[59:50] | Yes, sir, Mr. Neff. | 是的 先生 |
[59:53] | That was all there was to it. | 事情终于告一段落 |
[59:55] | Nothing had slipped, nothing had been overlooked. | 没有犯错 没有忽略细节 |
[59:58] | There was nothing to give us away. | 没有事情能泄漏我们的秘 密 |
[1:00:00] | And yet, Keyes, | 但是当我步向 |
[1:00:02] | as I was walking down the street to the drugstore… | 杂货店时 巴顿 |
[1:00:04] | suddenly it came over me that everything would go wrong. | 我突然觉得每个步骤都犯了错误 |
[1:00:08] | It sounds crazy, Keyes, but it’s true, so help me. | 听来很疯狂 但这是真的 |
[1:00:11] | I couldn’t hear my own footsteps. | 我听不见自己的脚步声 |
[1:00:17] | It was the walk of a dead man. | 那是死人的脚步声 |
[1:00:27] | That was the longest night I ever lived through, Keyes… | 那是我毕生最漫长的一夜 |
[1:00:29] | and the next day was worse, | 接下来一天更难熬 |
[1:00:31] | when the story had broke in the papers… | 报章已经报道事件 |
[1:00:33] | and they started talking about it at the office… | 公司的人开始讨论事件 |
[1:00:35] | and the day after that, when you started digging into it. | 后天 你着手研究 |
[1:00:39] | I kept my hands in my pockets | 我觉得手在抖震 |
[1:00:41] | because I thought they were shaking. | 所以伸进口袋 |
[1:00:43] | I put on dark glasses so people couldn’t see my eyes. | 并带上太阳眼睛 不让人看见我 |
[1:00:45] | And then I took them off again | 然后再脱下 |
[1:00:47] | so they wouldn’t get to wondering why I wore them. | 让他们不觉得奇怪 |
[1:00:49] | I tried to hold myself together, but… | 我尝试保持冷静 但是… |
[1:00:52] | I could feel my nerves pulling me to pieces. | 我感到自己紧张得快要撕裂 |
[1:00:58] | Oh, Walter? Hello, Keyes. | 华达 是 巴顿 |
[1:01:01] | Come along. The big boss wants to see us. | 过来 大老板想见我们 |
[1:01:03] | The Dietrichson case? Must be. | 狄先生的个案 想必也是 |
[1:01:05] | Anything wrong? Well, the guy is dead. | 有问题吗 他死了 |
[1:01:08] | We had him insured and it’s gonna cost us dough. | 而我们受保 这将会令我们 花费一笔 |
[1:01:11] | That’s always wrong. | 这永远是错事 |
[1:01:11] | What have they got so far? Autopsy report. | 暂时有什么资料 验尸报告 |
[1:01:14] | No heart failure, no apoplexy, | 没有心脏病 |
[1:01:16] | no predisposing medical cause of any kind. | 中风或任何疾病 |
[1:01:18] | Died of a broken neck. | 他死于颈骨折断 |
[1:01:20] | When’s the inquest? Had it this morning. | 何时审讯 今早进行了 |
[1:01:22] | His wife and daughter made the identification. | 妻子及女儿已经认尸 |
[1:01:24] | The train people | 火车职员 |
[1:01:25] | and some of the passengers told how he went through… | 及乘客说 |
[1:01:27] | to the observation car. | 他走到了望台 |
[1:01:28] | It was all over in 45 minutes. Verdict? Accidental death. | 事情在45分钟内发生 法庭裁定 意外死亡 |
[1:01:33] | What do the police figure? | 警察有何想法 |
[1:01:35] | That he got tangled up in his crutches and fell off the train. | 他被拐杖绊倒 掉下火车 |
[1:01:37] | They’re satisfied. | 他们很满意 |
[1:01:39] | It’s not their dough. Come on, Walter. | 不会追查下去 来吧 华达 |
[1:01:43] | All right. Thank you very much, gentlemen. | 好 谢谢 |
[1:01:45] | I believe the legal position is now clear. | 现在法律情况已经很清晰 |
[1:01:47] | Please stand by. I may need you later. | 请留守岗位 我也许需要你 |
[1:01:50] | Come in, Mr. Keyes. You, too, Mr. Neff. | 请进 祁先生 还有你 黎先生 |
[1:01:57] | You find this an uncomfortably warm day, Mr. Keyes? | 你觉得今天很暖吗 祁先生 |
[1:01:59] | I’m sorry, Mr. Norton, but I didn’t know this was formal. | 抱歉 我不知道这是正式会议 |
[1:02:02] | Sit down, gentlemen. Thank you. | 两位请坐谢谢 |
[1:02:04] | Any new developments? | 有新进展吗 |
[1:02:05] | I just talked to this Jackson long distance, | 我刚打长途电话给姓谢的 |
[1:02:07] | up in Medford, Oregon. | 在俄勒冈美德福 |
[1:02:08] | Who’s Jackson? | 谁 |
[1:02:09] | He’s the last man who saw Dietrichson alive. | 他是最后看见狄先生在生的人 |
[1:02:10] | They were out on the observation platform together, talking. | 他们在了望台一起谈话 |
[1:02:13] | Dietrichson wanted a cigar and so Jackson went back… | 狄先生想抽雪茄 |
[1:02:15] | to get Dietrichson’s cigar case for him. | 谢先生帮他拿雪茄盒 |
[1:02:17] | When he returned to the observation platform, no Dietrichson. | 回到了望台时狄先生已失踪 |
[1:02:19] | Well, Jackson didn’t think anything was wrong until… | 谢先生当时不以为然 |
[1:02:21] | a wire caught up with the train at Santa Barbara. | 直至电报送达在圣巴巴拉的火车 |
[1:02:23] | They found Dietrichson’s body on the tracks near Burbank. | 他们在布班附近 路轨发现狄先生的尸体 |
[1:02:26] | Very interesting about the cigar case. | 雪茄盒的事很有趣 |
[1:02:29] | Anything else? No, not much. | 还有别的吗 不多 |
[1:02:31] | Dietrichson’s secretary says | 狄先生的秘书说 |
[1:02:32] | she didn’t know anything about the policy. | 她不知道保险的事 |
[1:02:34] | There’s a daughter, | 狄先生的女儿 |
[1:02:36] | but all she remembers is Neff talking to her father… | 只记得黎华达 |
[1:02:37] | about accident insurance at their house one night. | 有一晚他们在家中谈意外保险 |
[1:02:40] | I couldn’t sell him at first. | 我起初说服不了 |
[1:02:41] | Mr. Dietrichson opposed it. He said he’d think it over. | 狄先生反对 他说他会再考虑 |
[1:02:44] | Later I saw him in the oil fields and closed him. | 其后我在油田见他时他答应了 |
[1:02:47] | He signed the application and gave me his check. | 他签了申请表并给我支票 |
[1:02:49] | A fine piece of salesmanship that was, Mr. Neff. | 你的确是一流的营业员 |
[1:02:52] | Well, there’s no sense in pushing Neff around. | 不要将责任推给他 |
[1:02:54] | He’s got the best sales record in the office. | 他是全公司最优秀的营业员 |
[1:02:56] | Are your salesmen supposed to know a customer | 他怎知道顾客 |
[1:02:57] | is going to fall off the train? | 会从火车掉下 |
[1:02:59] | Fall off a train? Are we sure Dietrichson fell off the train? | 从火车掉下 你肯定吗 |
[1:03:03] | I don’t get it. You don’t, Mr. Keyes? | 我不明白 你不明白 |
[1:03:05] | Then what do you think of this case? | 那你有何高见 |
[1:03:07] | This policy might cost us a great deal of money. | 这份保单将会耗费巨资 |
[1:03:09] | As you know, it contains a double indemnity clause. | 它有双重保险条文 |
[1:03:11] | Just what is your opinion? | 你有何意见 |
[1:03:13] | No opinion at all. Not even a hunch? | 没有 没有预感 |
[1:03:15] | One of those interesting little hunches of yours? | 你一点预感都没有 |
[1:03:17] | Nope. Not even a hunch. | 没有 |
[1:03:19] | I’m surprised, Mr. Keyes. I’ve formed a very definite opinion. | 我很意外 我非常肯定 |
[1:03:22] | I think I know. In fact, | 我知道狄先生 |
[1:03:25] | I know I know what happened to Dietrichson. | 发生何事 |
[1:03:26] | You know you know what? I know it was not an accident. | 你知道什么 这不是意外 |
[1:03:33] | What do you say to that? Me? | 你有何意见 我 |
[1:03:37] | Well, you’ve got the ball. Let’s see you run with it. | 你即管说来听听 |
[1:03:39] | There’s a widespread feeling | 一个拥有敞大 |
[1:03:42] | that just because a man has a large office… | 办公室 |
[1:03:46] | Yes? Have her come in, please. | 是 叫她进来 |
[1:03:49] | There’s a widespread feeling that… | 一个拥有敞大办公室的人 |
[1:03:51] | just because a man has a large office, he must be an idiot. | 一定是蠢材 |
[1:03:54] | I’m having a visitor, if you don’t mind. | 我有访客 希望你们别介意 |
[1:03:56] | No, no. I want you to stay and watch me handle this. | 不 我想你留下看我处理 |
[1:03:59] | Mrs. Dietrichson. | 狄太太 |
[1:04:05] | Thank you very much for coming, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 谢谢你前来 狄太太 |
[1:04:07] | I assure you I appreciate it. This is Mr. Keyes. | 很感谢你 这位是祁先生 |
[1:04:10] | How do you do? How do you do? | 你好你好 |
[1:04:12] | And Mr. Neff. I’ve met Mr. Neff. How do you do? | 还有黎先生 我见过黎先生 你好 |
[1:04:14] | Mrs. Dietrichson. Won’t you sit down? | 狄太太 请坐 |
[1:04:19] | May I extend our sympathy in your bereavement? | 请你节哀顺变 |
[1:04:21] | I hesitated before | 我曾犹豫过 |
[1:04:22] | asking you to come here so soon after your loss. | 是否应该现在叫你来 |
[1:04:24] | But now that you’re here | 但既然你来了 |
[1:04:26] | I hope you won’t mind if I plunge straight into business? | 希望你别介意 |
[1:04:27] | You know why we asked you to come, don’t you? | 你知道我们为何叫你来 是吗 |
[1:04:29] | No. All I know is that your secretary made it sound very urgent. | 不 只知道你秘书说有急事 |
[1:04:32] | Your husband had an accident policy with this company. | 你丈夫向本公司购买意外保险 |
[1:04:34] | Evidently you don’t know that, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 既然你不知道 狄太太 |
[1:04:36] | No. I remember some talk at the house, | 对 曾在家里讨论 |
[1:04:37] | but he didn’t seem to want it. | 但他不想买 |
[1:04:38] | Your husband took the policy out a few days later, | 你丈夫几天后购买了 |
[1:04:41] | Mrs. Dietrichson. | 狄太太 |
[1:04:42] | You’ll probably find the policy among his personal effects. | 你可以在他私人物品中寻找 |
[1:04:44] | His safe-deposit box hasn’t been opened yet. | 他的保险箱还未开启 |
[1:04:46] | It seems a tax examiner has to be present. | 听说要有税务专员在场 |
[1:04:48] | Please, Mrs. Dietrichson, I don’t want you to think… | 对不起 狄太太 |
[1:04:50] | you’re being subjected to any questioning… | 我不想你觉得受到盘问 |
[1:04:52] | but there are a few things we should like to know. | 但我们想知道这件事 |
[1:04:53] | What sort of things? | 什么事 |
[1:04:55] | We have the report of the coroner’s inquest. | 我们收到验尸官的报告 |
[1:04:57] | Accidental death. We are not entirely satisfied. | 意外死亡 我们并不满意 |
[1:05:00] | In fact, we are not satisfied at all. | 事实上 我们非常不满 |
[1:05:05] | Frankly, Mrs. Dietrichson, we suspect… | 坦白说 我们怀疑 |
[1:05:08] | a suicide. | 他是自杀 |
[1:05:13] | I’m sorry. Would you like a glass of water? Please. | 对不起 你想喝水吗 好 |
[1:05:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:05:29] | Had your husband been depressed or moody lately, | 你丈夫最近 |
[1:05:30] | Mrs. Dietrichson? | 是否情绪低落 |
[1:05:32] | Did he have financial worries, for instance? | 他有没有财政问题 |
[1:05:35] | He was perfectly all right | 他精神很好 |
[1:05:37] | and I don’t know of any financial worries. | 亦没有财政问题 |
[1:05:39] | Let us examine this so-called accident. | 让我们研究一下这所谓的意外 |
[1:05:41] | First, your husband takes out | 首先 你丈夫秘密地购买保险 |
[1:05:44] | this policy in absolute secrecy. Why? | 原因在何 |
[1:05:45] | Because he doesn’t want his family | 因为他不想 |
[1:05:46] | to suspect what he intends to do. | 家人怀疑自己的用意 |
[1:05:48] | Do what? Next, he goes on this trip entirely alone. | 什么用意 接着 他独自出发 |
[1:05:51] | He has to be alone. | 他必须单独 |
[1:05:52] | He hobbles all the way out to the observation platform. | 他一路走到了望台 |
[1:05:54] | Very unlikely with his leg in a cast, | 他打了石膏 |
[1:05:56] | unless he has a very strong reason. | 显然有特别原因 |
[1:05:58] | Once there, he finds he is not alone. There is a man there. | 他到达后发现不只他一人 有个人 |
[1:06:01] | What was his name, Keyes? | 他叫什么名字 巴顿 |
[1:06:03] | His name was Jackson. Probably still is. | 他叫谢杰逊 可能还在 |
[1:06:06] | So he gets rid of this Jackson | 他骗说要雪茄盒 |
[1:06:08] | with some flimsy excuse about cigars. | 而拜托谢杰逊 |
[1:06:09] | And then he is alone. And then he does it. Does what? | 他趁单独一人时做了 那件事 什么事 |
[1:06:13] | He jumps. Suicide. In which case, the company is not liable. | 跳火车自杀 这事公司不受保 |
[1:06:17] | You know that, of course. Now, we could go to court… | 你应该知道 我们可以上法庭 |
[1:06:20] | I don’t know anything. In fact, I don’t know why I came here. | 我一无所知 不知道为何来这里 |
[1:06:24] | Just a moment, please. | 稍等一下 |
[1:06:25] | I said we could go to court. I didn’t say we want to. | 我说可以上法庭 没说我们希望 |
[1:06:27] | What I want to suggest is a compromise on both sides. | 我只是提议双方达成协议 |
[1:06:30] | A settlement for a certain sum, a part of the policy value. | 协议金额 保单价值的一部分 |
[1:06:33] | Don’t bother, Mr. Norton. | 算了吧 卢先生 |
[1:06:34] | When I came in here, I had no idea you owed me any money. | 我进来前不知道你们欠我金钱 |
[1:06:37] | You told me you did. Then you told me you didn’t. | 你说你们欠钱 又说自己没有 |
[1:06:39] | Now you tell me you want to pay me a part of it, whatever it is. | 现在你说你想付一部分 |
[1:06:41] | You want to bargain with me, at a time like this. | 你居然在这时间跟我讨价还价 |
[1:06:44] | I don’t like your insinuations about my husband, | 我不喜欢你对我丈夫的看法 |
[1:06:46] | and I don’t like your methods. | 以及你的手法 |
[1:06:47] | In fact, I don’t like you, Mr. Norton. Goodbye, gentlemen. | 我亦不喜欢你 卢先生 再见 各位 |
[1:06:55] | Nice going, Mr. Norton. You sure carried that ball. | 卢先生 你的确胸有成竹 |
[1:06:59] | Only you fumbled on the goal line. | 可惜笨手笨脚 |
[1:07:00] | Then you heaved an illegal forward pass | 你因为犯规 |
[1:07:01] | and got thrown for a 40-yard loss. | 而被判损失40码 |
[1:07:04] | Now you can’t pick yourself up | 你兵败如山倒 |
[1:07:05] | because you haven’t got a leg to stand on. | 因为你站不住脚 |
[1:07:07] | I haven’t, eh? She can go to court | 是吗 她可以上法庭 |
[1:07:08] | and we can prove it was suicide. | 我们证明是自杀 |
[1:07:10] | Oh, can we? | 可以吗 |
[1:07:11] | Mr. Norton, | 卢先生 |
[1:07:13] | the first thing that struck me was that suicide angle. | 我起初也认为是自杀 |
[1:07:15] | Only I dumped it into the wastepaper basket | 但我即使将这想法 |
[1:07:18] | just three seconds later. | 束之高阁 |
[1:07:19] | You know, you ought to take a look | 你间中要看看 |
[1:07:21] | at the statistics on suicide sometime. | 自杀的数据 |
[1:07:23] | You might learn a little something about the insurance business. | 也许会从中了解保险业 |
[1:07:25] | Mr. Keyes, I was raised in the insurance business. | 祁先生 我在保险业长大 |
[1:07:27] | Yeah, in the front office. | 对 在接待处 |
[1:07:29] | Come now, you’ve never read an actuarial table | 你从没看过 |
[1:07:31] | in your life, have you? | 精算表吧 |
[1:07:32] | Why, they’ve got 10 volumes on suicide alone. | 但我在自杀方面就有十册 |
[1:07:35] | Suicide by race, by color, by occupation… | 种族肤色职业 |
[1:07:37] | by sex, by seasons of the year, by time of day. | 姓名季节日历 |
[1:07:39] | Suicide, how committed? | 自杀的方法 |
[1:07:40] | By poisons, by firearms, by drowning, by leaps. | 服毒 枪械 淹死 高处坠下 |
[1:07:42] | Suicide by poison, subdivided by types of poison… | 服毒自杀又分成多类 |
[1:07:45] | such as corrosive, irritant, systemic, gaseous, narcotic… | 腐蚀 刺激 全身 气体 |
[1:07:48] | alkaloid, protein, and so forth. | 麻醉药 碱 蛋白之类 |
[1:07:49] | Suicide by leaps, subdivided by leaps from high places… | 高处坠下又分为跳楼 |
[1:07:52] | under the wheels of trains, under the wheels of trucks… | 火车轮下 货车轮下 马蹄下 |
[1:07:54] | under the feet of horses, from steamboats. But, Mr. Norton… | 从蒸汽船坠下 |
[1:07:58] | of all the cases on record | 卢先生 |
[1:07:59] | there’s not one single case of suicide by leap… | 根据过往案例 |
[1:08:01] | from the rear end of a moving train. | 没人曾从移动的火车尾部坠下 |
[1:08:03] | And do you know how fast that train was going… | 你知道尸体发现地点 |
[1:08:04] | at the point where the body was found? 15 miles an hour. | 火车的时速是多少 每小时15英里 |
[1:08:07] | Now how can anybody jump off a slow moving train like that… | 在这慢速下 |
[1:08:10] | with any kind of expectation that he would kill himself? | 怎会有人认为能够自杀 |
[1:08:13] | No. No soap, Mr. Norton. | 没有肥皂 卢先生 |
[1:08:14] | We’re sunk, and we’ll have to pay through the nose, | 我们今次 |
[1:08:16] | and you know it. | 将会损失一笔 |
[1:08:18] | May I have this? | 我可以喝吗 |
[1:08:22] | Come on, Walter. | 走吧 华达 |
[1:08:27] | Next time I’ll rent a tuxedo. | 下次我会租礼服 |
[1:08:46] | I could have hugged you right then and there, Keyes… | 对于你和你的数据 |
[1:08:48] | you and your statistics. | 我当时真想拥抱你 |
[1:08:50] | You were the only one we were really scared of… | 你是我们唯一害怕的人 |
[1:08:53] | and instead you were almost playing on our team. | 但你却几乎成为我们的帮手 |
[1:08:56] | That evening when I got home, my nerves had eased off. | 当晚回家时 我觉得轻松得多 |
[1:08:59] | I could feel the ground under my feet again. | 我再次感到脚踏实地 |
[1:09:01] | And it looked like easy going from there on in. | 看来前面将是一条坦途 |
[1:09:04] | That $100,000 looked as safe for Phyllis and me… | 我和菲莉几乎稳获那十万元 |
[1:09:06] | as if we had the check already deposited in the bank. | 好像支票已经存入银行 |
[1:09:15] | Hello? Oh, hello, baby. Sure, everything is fine. | 喂 嗨 宝贝 对 很好 |
[1:09:20] | You were wonderful in Norton’s office. | 你表现很出色 |
[1:09:22] | I felt so funny, I wanted to look at you all the time. | 感觉很怪 我一直想见你 |
[1:09:25] | How do you think I felt, baby? Where are you? | 你以为我不是吗 你在哪 |
[1:09:28] | At the drugstore. Just a block away. | 在杂货店 一街以外 |
[1:09:31] | Can I come up? Okay. But be careful. | 我能上来吗 好 小心 |
[1:09:33] | Don’t let anybody see you. | 不要让人看见 |
[1:10:01] | Hello, Keyes. | 嗨 巴顿 |
[1:10:08] | What’s on your mind? That broken leg. | 你有什么心事 那只断腿 |
[1:10:11] | The guy had a broken leg. What are you talking about? | 那人的腿断了 你在说什么 |
[1:10:15] | Talking about Dietrichson. He had accident insurance, didn’t he? | 狄先生 他买了意外保险 |
[1:10:18] | Yeah. Then he broke his leg, didn’t he? | 对 然后他断了腿 |
[1:10:20] | So what? And he didn’t put in a claim. | 那又怎样 |
[1:10:22] | Why didn’t he put in a claim? Why? What are you driving at? | 他没有索债 为什么呢 你想说什么 |
[1:10:26] | Walter, I had dinner two hours ago and it stuck half way. | 我两小时吃晚餐 发现想不通 |
[1:10:31] | That little man of yours is acting up again, huh? | 那个隐形人又出来了 |
[1:10:33] | There’s something wrong with the Dietrichson case. | 狄先生的案件不寻常 |
[1:10:35] | Why? Because he didn’t file a claim? | 为什么 因为他没索债 |
[1:10:38] | Maybe he just didn’t have time. | 也许他没有时间 |
[1:10:39] | Maybe he just didn’t know that he was insured. | 也许他不知道自己购买保险 |
[1:10:45] | No. No, that couldn’t be it. | 不 不可以 |
[1:10:46] | You delivered the policy to him personally, didn’t you? | 你亲自送保单给他吗 是的 |
[1:10:48] | Yeah. You got his check? | 你收到他的支票 |
[1:10:49] | Sure I did. | 当然 |
[1:10:51] | Got any bicarbonate of soda? No, I haven’t. | 还有没有苏打水 没有 |
[1:10:55] | Walter, I’ve been living with this little man for 26 years. | 我跟这隐形人一起26年了 |
[1:10:59] | And he’s never failed me yet. There’s got to be something wrong. | 他从没令我失望 这案件有问题 |
[1:11:02] | Well, maybe Norton was right. Maybe it was suicide. | 也许卢敦说得对 不是自杀 |
[1:11:05] | No. Not suicide. | 不是自杀 |
[1:11:07] | But not an accident, either. What else? | 但也不是意外 那是什么 |
[1:11:10] | Now look, Walter. | 听好 华达 |
[1:11:12] | A guy takes out an accident policy that’s worth $100,000… | 有人购买了一份 |
[1:11:15] | if he’s killed on a train. | 若死于火车会获赔十万元的保险 |
[1:11:16] | Then two weeks later, he is killed on a train. | 两周后 他的确死于火车 |
[1:11:18] | And not in a train accident, mind you, | 但不是火车意外 |
[1:11:20] | but falling off some silly observation car. | 而是从了望台调下来 |
[1:11:22] | Do you know what the mathematical probability of that is? | 你知道这个几率有多高 |
[1:11:25] | One out of I don’t know how many billions. | 大约几十亿分之一 |
[1:11:28] | And add to that the broken leg. | 那人还是断腿的 |
[1:11:31] | No, it just can’t be the way it looks. | 不会是这样的 |
[1:11:33] | Something has been worked on us. Such as what? | 事有蹊跷 例如什么 |
[1:11:46] | Murder? | 谋杀 |
[1:11:47] | Don’t you have any peppermint or something? | 你有没有薄荷 |
[1:11:49] | Sorry. Want a little soda water? No, no, no. | 对不起 要苏打水 不用了 |
[1:11:53] | Who do you suspect? | 你怀疑谁 |
[1:11:54] | Maybe I like to make things easy for myself. | 我喜欢为自己行个方便 |
[1:11:56] | But I always tend to suspect the beneficiary. | 但我倾向怀疑受益人 |
[1:11:58] | You mean the wife? Yeah. | 你是指他妻子 |
[1:12:00] | That wide-eyed dame | 对 |
[1:12:00] | that just didn’t know anything about anything. | 一无所知的大眼太太 |
[1:12:02] | You’re crazy, Keyes. She wasn’t even on the train. | 你傻了 她不在火车上 |
[1:12:04] | I know she wasn’t, Walter. | 我知道 |
[1:12:06] | I don’t claim to know how it was worked, or who worked it… | 我没说自己知道事情经过 |
[1:12:08] | but all I know is that it was worked. | 但我知道事情的确发生了 |
[1:12:11] | I’ve got to get to a drugstore. | 我要去杂货店 |
[1:12:12] | This thing feels like a hunk of concrete inside me. | 这东西就像心头大石 |
[1:12:15] | Good night, Walter. Good night, Keyes. | 晚安 华达晚安 巴顿 |
[1:12:18] | See you at the office in the morning. Yeah. | 明早在公司见好 |
[1:12:22] | I’d like to move in on her right now, tonight. | 若不是卢敦和他的公司政策 |
[1:12:25] | If it wasn’t for Norton and his striped-pants ideas | 我今晚就打算 |
[1:12:28] | about company policy… | 对付她 |
[1:12:29] | I’d have the police after her so fast it’d make her head spin. | 我会派警察监视 令她晕头转向 |
[1:12:32] | They’d put her through the wringer… | 他们会将她放在榨汁机 |
[1:12:34] | and, brother, the things they would squeeze out. | 你知道会得到什么 |
[1:12:37] | Only you haven’t got a single thing to go on, Keyes. | 但你没有证据追查 |
[1:12:39] | Not too much. Just 26 years experience… | 不多 只有26年经验 |
[1:12:41] | all the percentage there is, | 及数据资料 |
[1:12:43] | and this hunk of concrete in my stomach. | 以及心头这块大石 |
[1:12:47] | Can I have one of those things? | 可以给我一点火 |
[1:13:01] | Good night, Keyes. So long, Walter. | 再见 巴顿 再见 华达 |
[1:13:16] | How much does he know? He doesn’t know anything. | 他知道多少 他什么也不知道 |
[1:13:20] | It’s those stinking hunches of his. | 只有预感 |
[1:13:23] | And he can’t prove anything, can he? | 但他无法证明什么吧 |
[1:13:24] | Not if we’re careful. Not if we don’t see each other for a while. | 只要我们小心 我们暂时不能见面 |
[1:13:30] | How long a while? Until this dies down. | 多久 直至事情淡化 |
[1:13:33] | You don’t know Keyes. | 你不了解巴顿 |
[1:13:34] | Once he gets his teeth into something, he never lets go. | 他一咬住就不会放开 |
[1:13:36] | He’ll investigate you, have you shadowed. | 他会调查你 紧盯着你 |
[1:13:38] | He’ll watch you every minute from now on. | 他会从现在起盯着你 |
[1:13:40] | You afraid, baby? Yes, I’m afraid. | 你害怕吗 宝贝 我很害怕 |
[1:13:44] | But not of Keyes. I’m afraid of us. | 不是害怕巴顿 而是害怕我们 |
[1:13:47] | We’re not the same anymore. | 我们的关系已经变了 |
[1:13:48] | We did it so we could be together, | 我们是为了一起而这样做 |
[1:13:50] | but instead of that it’s pulling us apart. | 但这却令我们分开 |
[1:13:51] | Isn’t it, Walter? What are you talking about? | 不是吗 你在说什么 |
[1:13:53] | And you don’t really care whether we see each other or not. | 你不再在乎我们能否再见 |
[1:13:58] | Shut up, baby. | 别这样说 宝贝 |
[1:14:04] | Pacific All Risk. Good afternoon. | 太平保险 午安 |
[1:14:09] | Hello, Mr. Neff. | 你好 黎先生 |
[1:14:11] | Hello. Lola Dietrichson. | 你好 我是狄露娜 |
[1:14:14] | Don’t you remember me? Yes. Yes, of course. | 你不记得我吗 当然记得 |
[1:14:17] | Could I talk with you just a few minutes? | 我能跟你谈一下吗 |
[1:14:19] | Somewhere where we could be alone? | 有没有地方可以单独谈 |
[1:14:22] | Oh, yes. Come into my office. | 有 来我的办公室 |
[1:14:30] | Is it something about what happened? | 发生了什么事吗 |
[1:14:33] | Yes, Mr. Neff. It’s about my father’s death. | 是 关于我父亲的死 |
[1:14:37] | I’m terribly sorry, Miss Dietrichson. | 我很难过 狄小姐 |
[1:14:43] | Lou, do you mind if I use the office alone for a few minutes? | 我可以单独用办公室一会吗 |
[1:14:45] | No. It’s all yours, Walter. | 没问题 华达 |
[1:14:54] | Look at me, Mr. Neff. | 看我 黎先生 |
[1:14:56] | I’m not crazy. I’m not hysterical. I’m not even crying. | 我不是神经失常 亦没有哭 |
[1:15:00] | But I have the awful feeling that something is wrong… | 但我觉得整件事有很大问题 |
[1:15:04] | and I had that same feeling once before, when my mother died. | 我尝过这种感觉…当我母亲死去 |
[1:15:08] | When your mother died? | 你母亲何时死去 |
[1:15:09] | We were at Lake Arrowhead. That was six years ago. | 我们住在箭头湖 六年前的事 |
[1:15:11] | We had a cabin there. | 我们在那有小屋 |
[1:15:13] | It was winter and very cold. | 我母亲因为肺炎 |
[1:15:16] | My mother was very sick with pneumonia. | 病得很重 |
[1:15:17] | She had a nurse with her. | 她有一名护士 |
[1:15:19] | There were just the three of us in the cabin. | 小屋里有我们三人 |
[1:15:22] | One night I got up and went into my mother’s room. | 有一晚我起床走到母亲的房间 |
[1:15:25] | She was delirious with fever. | 她发高烧 说话迷糊 |
[1:15:27] | All the bed covers were on the floor | 被铺全在地上 |
[1:15:29] | and the windows were wide open. | 窗户大开 |
[1:15:31] | The nurse wasn’t in the room. | 护士不在房间 |
[1:15:32] | I ran and covered my mother up as quickly as I could. | 我尽快替母亲盖上被铺 |
[1:15:34] | Just then I heard a door open behind me. | 此时我听见门口打开 |
[1:15:38] | The nurse stood there. | 护士站在那里 |
[1:15:40] | She didn’t say a word, but there was a look in her eyes… | 她默不作声 但她的眼神 |
[1:15:44] | I’ll never forget. | 令我无法忘记 |
[1:15:47] | Two days later, my mother was dead. | 两天后我母亲死去 |
[1:15:54] | Do you know who that nurse was? | 你知道那护士是谁 |
[1:15:56] | No. Who? Phyllis. | 谁 菲莉 |
[1:15:59] | I tried to tell my father, but I was just a kid then. | 我试图跟爸爸说 但是我只是小孩 |
[1:16:01] | He wouldn’t listen to me. Six months later she married him… | 他不相信我 半年后 她就嫁给他 |
[1:16:04] | and I kind of talked myself out of the idea | 我一直安慰自己说 |
[1:16:07] | she could have done anything like that. | 她不会这样做 |
[1:16:09] | But now it’s all back again, | 但这种感觉回来了 |
[1:16:11] | now that something’s happened to my father, too. | 我父亲也死去 |
[1:16:13] | You’re not making sense, Miss Dietrichson. | 不要胡言乱语 |
[1:16:15] | Your father fell off a train. | 你爸是从火车掉下 |
[1:16:17] | Yes, and two days before he fell off that train, | 对 事发两天前 |
[1:16:19] | what was Phyllis doing? | 菲莉做了一件事 |
[1:16:20] | She was in her room in front of a mirror, with a black hat on… | 她在房间对着镜子 |
[1:16:23] | pinning a black veil to it. | 戴着黑帽 披着黑纱 |
[1:16:24] | As if she couldn’t wait to see how she would look in mourning. | 急不及待想看看悼念的外表 |
[1:16:28] | You’ve had a pretty bad shock, Miss Dietrichson. | 你一定是受惊 狄小姐 |
[1:16:30] | Aren’t you just imagining these things? | 那些事是你想象出来的吗 |
[1:16:32] | I caught her eyes in the mirror. | 我望着她在镜子里的眼神 |
[1:16:33] | They had that look in them they had before my mother died. | 跟母亲死去前一模一样 |
[1:16:36] | That same look. | 一模一样 |
[1:16:38] | You don’t like your stepmother, do you? | 你不喜欢继母 是吗 |
[1:16:40] | Isn’t it just because she is your stepmother? | 因为她不是亲生母亲 |
[1:16:42] | I loathe her because she did it. She did it for the money. | 我憎死她 是她做的 她为了钱而这样做 |
[1:16:45] | Only you’re not going to pay her, are you, Mr. Neff? | 但你不会赔钱给她吧 |
[1:16:47] | She’s not going to get away with it this time, | 她今次不会逍遥法外 |
[1:16:49] | because I’m going to speak up. | 我会揭发她 |
[1:16:50] | I’m going to tell everything I know. | 我要将我知道的告诉大家 |
[1:16:52] | You’d better be careful, saying things like… | 你要小心说话 |
[1:16:54] | I’m not afraid. You’ll see. | 我不害怕 你会明白 |
[1:17:04] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[1:17:09] | I didn’t mean to act like this. | 我无意的 |
[1:17:13] | All this that you’ve been telling me, who else have you told? | 你还跟谁说起这些事 |
[1:17:16] | No one. | 没有 |
[1:17:17] | How about your stepmother? Of course not. | 你的继母呢 当然没有 |
[1:17:21] | I’ve moved out. | 我搬走了 |
[1:17:23] | I’m not living at home anymore. | 不再住那里 |
[1:17:25] | And you haven’t told that boyfriend of yours? Zachetti? | 你没跟你男朋友尼诺说过吧 |
[1:17:28] | I’m not seeing him anymore. We had a fight. | 我没有见他 我们吵架了 |
[1:17:33] | Where are you living now? | 你住在哪里 |
[1:17:34] | I got myself a little apartment in Hollywood. | 好莱坞的小公寓 |
[1:17:38] | Four walls, and you just sit and look at them? | 四面墙壁 你坐着看墙壁 |
[1:17:42] | Yes, Mr. Neff. | 是 黎先生 |
[1:17:46] | So that evening I took her to dinner… | 那天晚上我带她到奥维拿街 |
[1:17:48] | at a Mexican restaurant down on | 一间偏僻的 |
[1:17:49] | Olvera Street where nobody would see us. | 墨西哥餐厅 |
[1:17:51] | I wanted to cheer her up. | 我想逗她开心 |
[1:17:54] | The next day was Sunday and we went for a ride down to the beach. | 翌日是星期日 我们驾车去沙滩 |
[1:17:57] | She had loosened up a bit, she was even laughing. | 她心情好了一点 甚至会笑 |
[1:18:00] | I had to make sure that | 我要确保她 |
[1:18:01] | she wouldn’t tell that stuff about Phyllis to anybody else. | 不会透漏菲莉的事 |
[1:18:04] | It was dynamite, whether it was true or not. | 无论真伪 那将会是计时炸弹 |
[1:18:07] | And I had no chance to talk to Phyllis. | 我亦没有机会告诉菲莉 |
[1:18:09] | You were watching her like a hawk, Keyes. | 你象一只鹰般盯着她 |
[1:18:11] | I couldn’t even phone her | 我不能打给她 |
[1:18:13] | because I was afraid you had the wires tapped. | 因为我担心你会监听 |
[1:18:15] | Monday morning there was a note on my desk | 星期一早上我桌上 |
[1:18:18] | that you wanted to see me, Keyes. | 有字条说你想见我 |
[1:18:20] | For a minute I wondered if it could be about Lola. | 我曾经想过会否是露娜 |
[1:18:23] | It was worse. | 原来更糟糕 |
[1:18:25] | Outside your door was the last guy in the world I wanted to see. | 你门外是我最不想见到的人 |
[1:18:38] | Come in. Come in, Walter. | 进来 华达 |
[1:18:41] | Hello, Keyes. I want to ask you something. | 嗨 巴顿 我想问你 |
[1:18:45] | After all the years we’ve known each other… | 我们认识多年 |
[1:18:47] | do you mind if I make a rather blunt statement? | 介意我直言不讳吗 |
[1:18:49] | About what? About me. | 关于什么 我 |
[1:18:51] | Walter, I’m a very great man. Yeah? | 我是一个伟人对 |
[1:18:53] | This Dietrichson business, it’s murder… | 狄氏案是谋杀 |
[1:18:56] | and murders don’t come any neater. | 谋杀始终会露出马脚 |
[1:18:58] | As fancy a piece of homicide as anybody ever ran into… | 一个毕生难逢的周 密谋杀 |
[1:19:01] | smart, tricky, almost perfect, but… | 聪明决定 几乎完美 只是 |
[1:19:04] | I think Papa has it all figured out. | 我已经全部想通 |
[1:19:07] | Figured out and wrapped up in tissue paper | 用薄纸包裹 |
[1:19:09] | with pink ribbons on it. | 再加粉红色蝴蝶结 |
[1:19:11] | Go ahead. I’m listening. You know what? | 继续说 我在听 |
[1:19:14] | That guy Dietrichson was never on the train. | 告诉你 姓狄的家伙没上过火车 |
[1:19:18] | He wasn’t? No, he wasn’t. | 他没有 是的 |
[1:19:22] | Now look, Walter. You can’t be sure of killing a man… | 在时速15英里的火车上 |
[1:19:24] | by throwing him off a train that’s going 15 miles an hour. | 将受害人抛下 未必能杀死他 |
[1:19:27] | The only way you can be sure is to kill him first… | 唯一办法是先杀死他 |
[1:19:30] | and then throw his body on the tracks. | 再将尸体丢在路轨 |
[1:19:32] | Now that would mean either killing him on the train… | 那代表在火车上杀死他 |
[1:19:34] | or, and this is where it really gets fancy, | 或者 |
[1:19:35] | you kill him somewhere else… | 在别处杀了她 |
[1:19:38] | and put him on the tracks. | 然后将他放在路轨 |
[1:19:39] | Two possibilities, and I personally buy the second. | 两个可能性 我相信第二个 |
[1:19:44] | You’re way ahead of me, Keyes. | 我想也没想过 |
[1:19:45] | Well, look, Walter, it was like this. | 事情是这样的 |
[1:19:47] | They killed the guy, the wife and a somebody else… | 他们杀死那家伙…妻子和某人 |
[1:19:51] | and the somebody else took the crutches | 有人拿起拐杖 |
[1:19:53] | and went on the train as Dietrichson… | 假扮狄先生上车 |
[1:19:55] | then the somebody else jumped off… | 然后那人跳车 |
[1:19:57] | then they put the body on the tracks where the train had passed. | 再将尸体放在路轨 |
[1:19:59] | An impersonation, see? A cinch to work. | 假冒死者 易如反掌 |
[1:20:03] | Because it was night, very few people were about… | 因为当时是夜晚 很少问人 |
[1:20:05] | they have the crutches to stare at… | 他们忙着留意拐杖 |
[1:20:06] | they never really looked at the man at all. | 反而留意不到那人 |
[1:20:09] | Fancy all right, Keyes, but maybe it’s a little too fancy. | 很有趣 但有点过分有趣 |
[1:20:11] | Is it? I tell you, it all fits together like a watch. | 是吗 线索终于能够拼合 |
[1:20:15] | Now let’s see what we have in the way of proof. | 看看我们有何办法证明 |
[1:20:17] | The only guy who really got a good look | 曾经仔细留意 |
[1:20:19] | at this supposed Dietrichson… | 冒充狄先生的人 |
[1:20:20] | is sitting right outside my office. | 坐在我办公室外面 |
[1:20:22] | I took the trouble to bring him down here from Oregon. | 我请他从俄勒冈来 |
[1:20:28] | Come here, Mr. Jackson. Yes, sir, Mr. Keyes. | 进来 谢先生 好的 |
[1:20:31] | These are fine cigars you smoke. | 你的雪茄不错 |
[1:20:32] | Two for a quarter. That’s what I said. | 价钱不贵真好 |
[1:20:34] | Well, did you study those photographs? | 你看过照片吗 |
[1:20:36] | Yes, indeed. I studied them thoroughly. | 是 我非常仔细看过 |
[1:20:38] | Very thoroughly. Have you made up your mind? | 你想清楚了吗 |
[1:20:40] | Mister Keyes, I’m a Medford man. Medford, Oregon. | 祁先生 我是美德福人 |
[1:20:42] | Up in Medford we take our time making up our mind. | 美德福人一向需要时间想清楚 |
[1:20:44] | Well, we’re not in Medford now. We’re in a hurry. Let’s have it. | 这里不是美德福 事情很紧急 事不宜迟 |
[1:20:47] | Are these photographs of the late Mr. Dietrichson? | 这些是狄先生的照片 |
[1:20:49] | Yes. | 是 |
[1:20:51] | Then my answer is no. What do you mean, no? | 那我肯定不是 什么意思 |
[1:20:53] | I mean, this is not the man that was on the train. | 我是指火车上的人不是他 |
[1:20:55] | Will you swear to that? | 你愿意发誓吗 |
[1:20:57] | Mr. Keyes, I’m a Medford man. Medford, Oregon. | 我是美德福人 |
[1:20:59] | If I say it, I mean it. If I mean it, of course I’ll swear it. | 一言九鼎 我愿意发誓 |
[1:21:01] | There you are, Walter. There’s your proof. | 听见了 华达 这就是证据 |
[1:21:03] | This is Mr. Neff, one of our salesmen. | 这位是黎先生 我们的营业员 |
[1:21:05] | Pleased to meet you, Mr. Neff. Pleased, indeed. | 幸会 黎先生你好吗 |
[1:21:07] | How are you? Very fine, thank you. | 很好 有心 |
[1:21:08] | Never was better. Sit down, Mr. Jackson. | 请坐 谢先生 |
[1:21:11] | Just how would you describe | 可以形容一下 |
[1:21:12] | the man you saw on the observation platform? | 瞭望台的男人 |
[1:21:14] | Well, I’m pretty sure he was a younger man… | 我肯定他比较年轻 |
[1:21:17] | about 10 or 15 years younger than the man in these photographs. | 比照片中人年轻10至15年 |
[1:21:20] | Dietrichson was about 50, wasn’t he, Walter? | 狄先生大约50岁吗 华达 |
[1:21:22] | Fifty-one, according to the policy. | 保单上是51岁 |
[1:21:25] | The man I saw was nothing like 51 years old. | 我看见的人绝对不像是51岁 |
[1:21:28] | Of course, it was pretty dark out on that platform. | 当晚了望台很昏暗 |
[1:21:30] | Come to think of it, he tried to keep his back towards me. | 现在回想 他刻意背对着我 |
[1:21:33] | But I’m positive just the same. Thank you, Jackson. | 但我非常肯定谢谢你 |
[1:21:35] | Of course, you understand this matter is strictly confidential? | 你明白此事必须绝对保 密 |
[1:21:38] | We may need you again down here in Los Angeles, | 若上法庭 |
[1:21:39] | if the case comes to court. | 我们需要你去洛杉矶 |
[1:21:41] | Any time you need me, I’m entirely at your disposal, gentlemen. | 我愿意为你效劳 |
[1:21:44] | Expenses paid, of course. Oh, yes. Yes. Of course. | 只要费用由你支付 当然 |
[1:21:49] | Get me Lubin, in the cashier’s office. | 替我找支帐部的鲁宾 |
[1:21:52] | Hello, Lubin. This is Keyes. | 喂 鲁宾 我是巴顿 |
[1:21:54] | Listen. I’m sending a man named Jackson down to you | 我现在叫谢先生下来 |
[1:21:57] | with an expense account. | 收取费用 |
[1:21:58] | Well, we brought him down here from Medford, | 他为 |
[1:21:59] | Oregon in connection with… | 狄氏案 |
[1:22:01] | the Dietrichson claim. | 从美德福而来 |
[1:22:04] | Well, take care of his hotel bill, will you? | 你帮我支付他的酒店费用 |
[1:22:06] | Ever been in Oregon, Mr. Neff? | 你去过俄勒冈吗 |
[1:22:07] | Yeah. He’ll be right down. | 是的 他马上来 |
[1:22:08] | No. Never been up there. | 没有 从没去过 |
[1:22:10] | Wait a minute. You go trout fishing? | 等等 你会去垂钓吗 |
[1:22:13] | Maybe I saw you up Klamath Falls way. Nope. I don’t fish. | 我也许在加玛夫瀑布见过你 没有 我不钓鱼 |
[1:22:17] | You don’t go fishing, Mr. Neff. Neff. It’s the name. | 你不钓鱼 黎先生 |
[1:22:21] | There’s a family of Neffs in Corvallis. No relation. | 我记得了 在科瓦利斯的黎氏 我跟他们没关系 |
[1:22:23] | Let me see. This man’s an automobile dealer in Corvallis. | 那个姓黎的是汽车经纪 |
[1:22:26] | A very reputable man, too, I’m told. All right, Mr. Jackson. | 听说很德高望重 |
[1:22:28] | Suppose you go down to the cashier’s office. | 谢先生 你可以去支帐部 |
[1:22:30] | Room 27 on the 11th floor. | 11楼27室 |
[1:22:31] | He’ll take care of your expense account | 他们会支付费用 |
[1:22:33] | and your ticket for the train tonight. | 及今晚火车票 |
[1:22:35] | Tonight? | 今晚 |
[1:22:36] | Tomorrow morning would suit me better. | 明天早上 |
[1:22:37] | There’s a very good osteopath in town… | 会比较好 |
[1:22:39] | I’d like to see before I leave. Osteopath? | 我想去看城里的著名整骨医生 整骨医生 |
[1:22:42] | Well, just don’t put her on the expense account. | 不要将费用计算在内 |
[1:22:46] | Well, goodbye, gentlemen. | 再见 |
[1:22:48] | It’s been a pleasure. Goodbye. | 幸会再见 |
[1:22:53] | There it is, Walter. | 太好了 华达 |
[1:22:55] | It’s beginning to come apart at the seams already. | 纸快包不住火了 |
[1:22:57] | Murder’s never perfect. Always comes apart sooner or later. | 谋杀永远不会完美 迟早揭发 |
[1:22:59] | And when two people are involved, it’s usually sooner. | 若有两人参与 就更快东窗事发 |
[1:23:02] | Now, we know the Dietrichson dame is in it, and a somebody else. | 现在知道狄太太和某人参与 |
[1:23:05] | Pretty soon we’ll know who that somebody else is. | 不久就会知道某人是谁 |
[1:23:07] | He’ll show. He’s got to show. | 他一定会出现 |
[1:23:08] | Sometime, somewhere, they’ve got to meet. | 他们总要在某时某刻见面 |
[1:23:10] | Their emotions are all kicked up. | 两人阵脚大乱 |
[1:23:11] | Whether it’s love or hate doesn’t matter. | 是爱是恨并不重要 |
[1:23:13] | They can’t keep away from each other. | 他们始终无法不接触对方 |
[1:23:15] | They may think it’s twice as safe because there are two of them. | 他们以为两人参与是双倍安全 |
[1:23:17] | But it isn’t twice as safe. | 其实不是双倍安全 |
[1:23:19] | It’s 10 times twice as dangerous. They’ve committed a murder… | 而是二十倍危险 他们犯下谋杀罪 |
[1:23:22] | and it’s not like taking a trolley ride together… | 这不像坐火车 |
[1:23:24] | where they can get off at different stops. | 可以在不同站下车 |
[1:23:26] | They’re stuck with each other and they’ve got to ride… | 他们会被困在一起 |
[1:23:28] | all the way to the end of the line. | 直至终点 |
[1:23:30] | And it’s a one-way trip, and the last stop is the cemetery. | 这是单程车 终站是坟墓 |
[1:23:32] | She put in her claim. | 她已经申请索偿 |
[1:23:35] | I’m gonna throw it right back at her. | 我将会还击 |
[1:23:43] | Let her sue us if she dares. | 她即管控告我 我已准备迎战 |
[1:23:45] | I’ll be ready for her and that somebody else. | 她和某人 |
[1:23:48] | They’ll be digging their own graves. | 他们会一起自掘坟墓 |
[1:23:59] | Mrs. Dietrichson? This is Jerry’s Market. | 狄太太 这里是杰利店打来 |
[1:24:01] | We just got in a shipment of that English soap | 我们收到你要的 |
[1:24:03] | you were asking about. | 英国肥皂 |
[1:24:04] | Will you be coming by today? Thank you, Mrs. Dietrichson. | 你今天能来取吗 谢谢 狄太太 |
[1:24:35] | Hello, Walter. Come over here. | 嗨 华达过来 |
[1:24:41] | What’s the matter? Everything’s the matter. | 什么事 大事不妙 |
[1:24:46] | Keyes is rejecting your claim. | 巴顿会拒绝你索债 |
[1:24:48] | He’s sitting back with his mouth watering, | 他虎视眈眈着 |
[1:24:49] | waiting for you to sue. | 等待你提出控告 |
[1:24:50] | He wants you to sue, but you’re not going to. | 他想你控告 但你不可以 |
[1:24:52] | What’s he got to stop me? He’s got plenty. | 他凭什么阻止我 他理直气壮 |
[1:24:58] | He’s figured out how it was worked. | 他知道事件如何发生 |
[1:25:00] | He knows it was somebody else on the train… | 知道火车上是另有其人 |
[1:25:01] | and he’s dug up a witness he thinks can prove it. | 还找到一个可以作证的目击者 |
[1:25:03] | Prove it how? If he rejects that claim, I have to sue. | 证明什么 若他拒绝 我就控告 |
[1:25:06] | Yeah? And then you’re in court | 是吗 告上法庭后 |
[1:25:08] | and a lot of other things are going to come up. | 就会是非不断 |
[1:25:09] | Like, for instance, about you and the first Mrs. Dietrichson. | 例如关于你和首任狄太太 |
[1:25:13] | What about me and the first Mrs. Dietrichson? | 我和首任狄太太怎么了 |
[1:25:15] | The way she died. | 她的死去经过 还有你戴黑帽 |
[1:25:16] | And about that black hat you were trying on | 在你需要 |
[1:25:18] | before you needed a black hat. | 黑帽之前 |
[1:25:19] | Lola’s been telling you some of her cockeyed stories. | 露娜跟你说那些天花乱坠的故事 |
[1:25:21] | She’s been seeing you. I’ve been seeing her, if you want to know. | 她一直在晃你 坦白说 是我一直见她 |
[1:25:24] | So she won’t yell her head off about what she knows. | 令她不会说出她知道的事情 |
[1:25:25] | She’s putting on an act for you, | 她只是在你面前 |
[1:25:27] | crying all over your shoulder, the lying… | 假哭搏同情 |
[1:25:28] | Keep her out of this. | 不要扯她 |
[1:25:30] | All I’m telling you is we’re not going to sue. | 下水 |
[1:25:31] | Because you don’t want the money anymore… | 因为你嫌钱腥 |
[1:25:32] | even if you could have it, because she’s… | 不想要钱 |
[1:25:33] | made you feel like a heel all of a sudden? | 她突然令你觉得惊为天人 |
[1:25:34] | It isn’t the money anymore. | 已经与钱无关 |
[1:25:37] | It’s our necks. We’re pulling out, do you understand? | 性命攸关 |
[1:25:38] | Because of what Keyes can do? You’re not fooling me, Walter. | 因为那祁巴顿 你别骗我 |
[1:25:41] | It’s because of Lola, what you did to her father. | 是因为露娜 你对她父亲所做的 |
[1:25:43] | You’re afraid she | 你害怕她 |
[1:25:44] | might find out someday and you can’t take it, can you? | 终有一天会发现 |
[1:25:46] | I said, leave her out of this. | 我说不要扯她下水 |
[1:25:53] | It’s me I’m talking about. | 我说的是我 |
[1:25:54] | I don’t want to be left out of it. Stop saying that. | 我不想你丢下我 别再说 |
[1:25:57] | It’s just that it hasn’t worked as we wanted. | 事情未能如我们所愿 |
[1:25:58] | We can’t go through with it, that’s all. | 我们无法脱身 |
[1:25:59] | We have gone through with it. | 我们已经脱身 |
[1:26:01] | The tough part is all behind us. | 艰难时期已过 |
[1:26:02] | We just have to hold on now and not go soft inside… | 只要镇定 不要软化 |
[1:26:05] | stick close together the way we started out. | 象开始时齐心合力 |
[1:26:07] | Watch it. | 小心 |
[1:26:26] | I loved you, Walter, and I hated him. | 我爱你 华达 我恨你 |
[1:26:29] | But I wasn’t going to do anything about it, not until I met you. | 但我遇上你前从没想过这样做 |
[1:26:33] | You planned the whole thing. I only wanted him dead. | 是你一手计划 我只想他死去 |
[1:26:37] | And I’m the one that fixed it so he was dead. | 我就是亲手害死他的人 |
[1:26:39] | Is that what you’re telling me? And nobody’s pulling out. | 你是这个意思吗 没人可以退出 |
[1:26:43] | We went into this together, we’re coming out at the end together. | 我们要一起开始 一起结束 |
[1:26:46] | It’s straight down the line for both of us, remember? | 大家都要彻头彻尾 你要记住 |
[1:26:56] | Yes, I remembered. | 对 我记得 |
[1:26:59] | Just like I remembered what you had told me, Keyes… | 就如我记得你所说 巴顿 |
[1:27:03] | about that trolley car ride… | 关于坐车 |
[1:27:05] | and how there was no getting off till the end of the line… | 一定要在终站下车 |
[1:27:09] | where the cemetery was. | 终站是坟墓 |
[1:27:13] | And then I got to thinking what cemeteries are for. | 然后我想到坟墓是给谁的 |
[1:27:17] | They’re to put dead people in. | 是用来给死人的 |
[1:27:21] | I guess that was the first time | 那是我第一次 |
[1:27:22] | I ever thought about Phyllis that way. | 这样想起菲莉 |
[1:27:24] | Dead, I mean. | 死亡 |
[1:27:27] | And how it would be if she were dead. | 若她死了会怎样 |
[1:27:31] | I saw Lola three or four times that week. | 我那星期见过露娜三四次 |
[1:27:34] | One night we went up into the hills behind the Hollywood Bowl. | 有一晚我跟她到好莱坞露天剧场 |
[1:27:38] | I guess it sounds crazy, Keyes, but it was only with her that… | 我知道这听起来很疯狂 |
[1:27:41] | I could relax and let go a little. | 但是跟她在一起 我才能够放松 |
[1:28:14] | Why are you crying? | 你为什么哭 |
[1:28:18] | Not gonna tell me, huh? | 有事跟我说 |
[1:28:20] | Of course I will, Walter. I wouldn’t tell anybody else but you. | 当然会告诉你 我只会跟你说 |
[1:28:25] | It’s about Nino. Zachetti? What about him? | 是尼诺 他怎么了 |
[1:28:28] | They killed my father together. He and Phyllis. | 他们合谋杀死我父亲 他和菲莉 |
[1:28:31] | He helped her do it. I know he did. | 他是帮凶 我知道 |
[1:28:34] | What makes you say that? | 你为什么这样说 |
[1:28:37] | I’ve been following him. | 我跟踪他 |
[1:28:38] | He’s been to her house, night after night. | 他每晚逗去家里找她 |
[1:28:40] | It was Phyllis and him all along. | 一直以来菲莉都和他一起 |
[1:28:43] | Maybe he was just going with me as a blind. | 也许他只是骗我 |
[1:28:46] | And the night of the murder… | 谋杀当晚 |
[1:28:47] | You promised me you weren’t gonna talk like this anymore. | 你答应不会向别人透漏 |
[1:28:49] | He was supposed to pick me up after a lecture at UCLA. | 他应该在加州大学讲座后来找我 |
[1:28:53] | But he never showed up. He said he was sick. | 但他爽约 他说他病了 |
[1:28:56] | Sick! | 病了 |
[1:29:00] | He couldn’t show up, | 他不能出现 |
[1:29:01] | because the train was leaving with my father on it. | 因为我爸在火车上 |
[1:29:10] | Maybe I’m just crazy. Maybe it’s all in my mind. | 也许我想得太多 想傻了 |
[1:29:14] | Sure, it’s all in your mind. | 对 你想得太多 |
[1:29:16] | I only wish it were, Walter, ’cause I still love him. | 希望是这样 因为我爱他 |
[1:29:27] | Zachetti. Phyllis and Zachetti. | 尼诺 菲莉与尼诺 |
[1:29:32] | What was he doing up at her house? | 他去她家里做什么 |
[1:29:35] | I couldn’t figure that one out. | 我想不通 |
[1:29:37] | I tried to make sense out of it and got nowhere. | 我尝试思索 却苦无结果 |
[1:29:41] | But the real braintwister came the next day. | 但真正的思索在翌日出现 |
[1:29:44] | You sprang it on me, Keyes, | 巴顿 |
[1:29:46] | after office hours, when you caught me… | 当你在放办公时间后 |
[1:29:49] | down in the lobby of the building. | 在大堂叫我时发生的 |
[1:29:51] | Walter. Walter, just a minute. | 华达 等一下 |
[1:29:57] | Hello, Keyes. Just hang on to your hat, Walter. | 嗨 巴顿 听好了 华达 |
[1:30:01] | What for? Oh, nothing much. | 什么事 没什么 |
[1:30:03] | That Dietrichson case just busted wide open. | 狄氏案终于真相大白 |
[1:30:06] | How do you mean? The guy showed. That’s how. | 怎么说 那家伙出现了 |
[1:30:10] | What guy? The guy who helped her do it. | 什么家伙 协助她的家伙 |
[1:30:12] | The somebody else? | 另一个人 |
[1:30:15] | No kidding? Yeah. She just filed suit against us. | 真的吗 对 她刚入庭控告我们 |
[1:30:18] | It’s okay by me. | 我已准备好了 |
[1:30:19] | When we get them in that courtroom, | 上法庭时 |
[1:30:21] | I’ll tear them to pieces, both of them. | 我会迎头痛击他俩 |
[1:30:22] | Come on. I’ll buy you a martini, Walter. No thanks, Keyes. | 来 我请你喝马天尼 不 谢了 |
[1:30:25] | With two olives. | 加两片橄榄叶 |
[1:30:26] | No, I’ve got to get a shave and a shoeshine. I’ve got a date. | 不 我约了人 要剃须擦鞋 |
[1:30:28] | Margie. I still bet she drinks from the bottle. | 玛琪 大概还是用瓶子喝酒 |
[1:30:32] | They give you matches when you buy cigars, you know. | 你买雪茄 售货员会给你火柴 |
[1:30:34] | All you have to do is ask for them. | 你只需要开口问 |
[1:30:35] | Don’t like them, | 我不喜欢 |
[1:30:36] | they always explode in my pocket. So long, Walter. | 总是在我口袋爆炸 再见 华达 |
[1:30:43] | I was scared stiff, Keyes. | 我害怕得发抖 |
[1:30:46] | Maybe you were playing cat-and-mouse with me. | 也许你在跟我玩猫捉老鼠 |
[1:30:49] | Maybe you knew all along I was the somebody else. | 也许你一直知道我就是同谋 |
[1:30:52] | I had to find out, and I knew where to look. In your office. | 我知道答案在哪里 你的办公室 |
[1:31:29] | Memo to Mr. Norton. | 致卢敦先生的备忘录 |
[1:31:31] | Confidential. Dietrichson file. | 机 密 狄氏案 |
[1:31:33] | With regard to your proposal to | 关于你提议 |
[1:31:34] | put Walter Neff under surveillance… | 监视黎华达 |
[1:31:36] | I disagree absolutely. | 我对此极为反对 |
[1:31:38] | I have investigated his movements on the night of the crime… | 我已调查过他在案发当晚的行踪 |
[1:31:40] | and he’s definitely placed in his apartment from 7:15 p.m. On. | 他从下午7时至15时一直在寓所 |
[1:31:45] | In addition to this, I have known Neff intimately for 11 years… | 况且 我与华达是11年的深交 |
[1:31:48] | and I personally vouch for him without reservation. | 我愿意担保他的人格 毫无保留 |
[1:31:57] | Furthermore, no connection whatsoever has been established… | 况且 黎华达 |
[1:32:00] | between Walter Neff and Mrs. Phyllis Dietrichson… | 与狄太太没有关联 |
[1:32:02] | whereas I am now able to report | 但我现在 |
[1:32:04] | that such a connection has been established… | 可以指出 |
[1:32:06] | between her and another man. | 她和另一位男子有关联 |
[1:32:09] | This man has been observed to visit Mrs. Dietrichson… | 这人曾被目睹在7月9 10 11 |
[1:32:12] | on the nights of July 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th. | 12 13日多次探访狄太太 |
[1:32:16] | We have succeeded in identifying him as one Nino Zachetti… | 我们成功认出该人是卓尼诺 |
[1:32:20] | former medical student, age of 28… | 28岁的前医科学生 |
[1:32:22] | residing at Lilac Court Apartments… | 住在拉布利亚南街 |
[1:32:24] | 12281/2 North La Brea Avenue. | 紫香阁1228号 |
[1:32:28] | We have checked Zachetti’s movements on the night of the crime… | 我们调查过卓尼诺 在案发当晚的行踪 |
[1:32:31] | and have found that they cannot be accounted for. | 发现他没有不在场证据 |
[1:32:35] | I am preparing a more detailed report for your consideration. | 我正准备一份详细报告给你参详 |
[1:32:38] | It is my belief that | 我深信我们已经 |
[1:32:40] | we already have sufficient evidence against Zachetti… | 有足够证据 |
[1:32:42] | and Mrs. Dietrichson to justify police action. | 让警察向尼诺及狄太太采取行动 |
[1:32:45] | I strongly urge | 我强烈要求 |
[1:32:47] | that this whole matter be turned over to the office… | 将个案 |
[1:32:48] | of the district attorney. | 交给检查处 |
[1:32:50] | Respectfully, Barton Keyes. | 祁巴顿敬上 |
[1:33:28] | Phyllis? It’s Walter. I’ve got to see you. Tonight. | 菲莉 我是华达 我非见你不可 今晚 |
[1:33:34] | Yes, it has to be tonight. | 是 一定要今晚 |
[1:33:36] | How’s 11:00? | 11时如何 |
[1:33:39] | Don’t worry about Keyes. | 不用担心巴顿 |
[1:33:41] | Just leave the front door unlocked and put the lights out. | 前门不要锁上 把灯关掉就行 |
[1:33:44] | No, nobody’s watching the house. Not anymore. | 不 没人再监视房子 |
[1:33:47] | It’s just for the neighbors. I told you not to worry about Keyes. | 只是不想邻居看见 我说过不用担心巴顿 |
[1:33:52] | I’ll see you at 11:00. Yeah. | 今晚11时见 |
[1:33:57] | Goodbye, baby. | 好 再见 宝贝 |
[1:34:02] | I guess I don’t have to tell you… | 我大概 |
[1:34:04] | what I intended to do at 11:00, Keyes. | 不用跟你说我的企图 |
[1:34:07] | For the first time, | 我第一次看见 |
[1:34:08] | I saw a way to get clear of the whole mess I was in… | 自己处于什么困局 |
[1:34:11] | and of Phyllis, too, all at the same time. | 还有菲莉的困局 |
[1:34:14] | Yeah, that’s what I thought. | 对 那是我的想法 |
[1:34:17] | What I didn’t know was that she had plans of her own. | 但我没想到她另有计划 |
[1:35:19] | In here, Walter. | 进来 华达 |
[1:35:36] | Hello, baby. | 嗨 宝贝 |
[1:35:39] | Anybody else in the house? Nobody. Why? | 有其他人在吗 没有 怎么了 |
[1:35:44] | What’s that music? A radio up the street. | 什么音乐 街外的收音机 |
[1:35:55] | Just like the first time I came here, isn’t it? | 跟我初次来的情况一样 |
[1:35:58] | We were talking about automobile insurance. | 我们在谈汽车保险 |
[1:36:01] | Only you were thinking about murder. | 但你只想到谋财害命 |
[1:36:05] | I was thinking about that anklet. | 我只想到脚镯 |
[1:36:07] | And what are you thinking about now? | 你现在想什么 |
[1:36:09] | I’m all through thinking, baby. | 我已经想清楚 |
[1:36:11] | I just came to say goodbye. Goodbye? | 我只是来道别 道别 |
[1:36:14] | Where are you going? You’re the one that’s going, baby. Not me. | 你去哪里 你继续玩游戏 我不玩了 |
[1:36:18] | I’m getting off the trolley car right at this corner. | 我现在就要下车 |
[1:36:21] | Suppose you stop being fancy. Let’s have it, whatever it is. | 不要拐弯抹角 有话直接说 |
[1:36:23] | All right, I’ll tell you. A friend of mine’s got a funny theory. | 好 我告诉你 我朋友作出一个有趣理论 |
[1:36:27] | He says when two people commit a murder, | 他说当两个人 |
[1:36:29] | it’s sort of like they’re riding… | 犯下谋杀案 |
[1:36:30] | on a trolley car together. One can’t get off without the other. | 就好像两人一起坐车 |
[1:36:33] | They’re stuck with each other and they have to go on… | 两人被困在一起 |
[1:36:35] | riding together clear to the end of the line. | 直至终站才能下车 |
[1:36:38] | And the last stop is the cemetery. | 而终站就是坟墓 |
[1:36:40] | Maybe he’s got something there. You bet he has. | 也许他有线索 说得对 |
[1:36:43] | Two people are gonna ride to the end of the line, all right. | 两人要到终站才能下车 |
[1:36:46] | Only I’m not gonna be one of them. | 但我不会是其中一人 |
[1:36:48] | I’ve got another guy to finish my ride for me. | 我找到另一个人替我完成旅程 |
[1:36:51] | Just who are you talking about? An acquaintance of yours. | 你在说谁 你的朋友 |
[1:36:54] | A Mr. Zachetti. | 卓先生 |
[1:36:56] | Come on, baby, I just got into this thing… | 我参与此事 |
[1:36:57] | because I happen to know | 只因为 |
[1:36:58] | a little something about insurance, didn’t I? | 我了解保险 |
[1:37:00] | I was a sucker. | 我是个无用的人 |
[1:37:01] | I’d have been brushed off | 你一收到钱 |
[1:37:03] | just as soon as you got your hands on the money. | 就会甩掉我 |
[1:37:04] | Nobody wanted to brush you off. Save it. I’m telling this. | 没人会甩掉你 省口气吧 让我告诉你 |
[1:37:07] | It’s been you and that Zachetti guy all along, hasn’t it? | 你一直与卓你尼诺合谋 是吗 |
[1:37:09] | That’s not true. | 不是 |
[1:37:11] | Doesn’t make any difference if it’s true or not. | 无论如何 分别都不大了 |
[1:37:15] | The point is, Keyes believes Zachetti is | 巴顿相信他要找的人 |
[1:37:18] | the one he’s been looking for. | 是卓尼诺 |
[1:37:19] | He’ll have him in that gas chamber | 卓尼诺不用多久 |
[1:37:21] | before he knows what’s happened to him. | 就会被判死刑 |
[1:37:22] | What’s happening to me all this time? Don’t be silly, baby. | 我怎么了 别傻了 |
[1:37:31] | What do you think is gonna happen to you? | 你以为呢 |
[1:37:32] | You helped him do the murder, didn’t you? | 你是他的帮凶 不是吗 |
[1:37:35] | That’s what Keyes thinks. | 那是祁巴顿的想法 |
[1:37:36] | And what’s good enough for Keyes is good enough for me. | 既然如此 我就来个顺水推舟 |
[1:37:39] | Maybe it’s not good enough for me, Walter. | 我不同意 |
[1:37:41] | Maybe I don’t go for the idea. | 这个做法 |
[1:37:43] | Maybe I’d rather talk. | 我宁愿一走了之 |
[1:37:45] | Sometimes people are where they can’t talk. | 有时人会穷途末路 |
[1:37:48] | Under six feet of dirt, maybe. | 甚至被埋在泥土 |
[1:37:50] | And if it was you, | 若那是你 |
[1:37:52] | they’d charge that up to Zachetti, too, wouldn’t they? | 他们会控告尼诺 |
[1:37:54] | Sure they would, and that’s just what’s gonna happen, baby. | 他们一定会 那是自然的事 |
[1:37:58] | ‘Cause he’s coming here tonight, in about 15 minutes. | 因为他今晚会来 大约15分钟后 |
[1:38:01] | With the cops right behind him. It’s all taken care of. | 警察已监视他 一切已成定局 |
[1:38:05] | That would make everything lovely for you, wouldn’t it? | 你可以逍遥法外 是吗 |
[1:38:08] | Right. And it’s got to be done | 是 这将会在 |
[1:38:09] | before that suit of yours comes to trial… | 你的追求者接受审讯 |
[1:38:12] | and Lola gets a chance to sound off… | 以及露娜有机会说话值钱 |
[1:38:13] | before they trip you up on the stand, | 让你没机会 |
[1:38:15] | and you start to go in drag me down with you. | 揭发我 |
[1:38:16] | Maybe I had Zachetti here | 也许我叫尼诺来 |
[1:38:18] | so they won’t get a chance to trip me up… | 没人能控告我 |
[1:38:19] | so we can get the money and be together. | 我们可以拿钱 相宿相栖 |
[1:38:21] | That’s cute. Say it again. | 说得真动听 |
[1:38:22] | He came here first to ask where Lola was. | 他过来问我露娜在何处 |
[1:38:24] | I made him come back. I was working on him. | 我叫他回来 欺骗他 |
[1:38:26] | He’s a crazy sort of guy, quick-tempered. | 他是那种冲动的急性子 |
[1:38:28] | I kept hammering into him that she was with another man… | 我不断向他骗说她另结新欢 |
[1:38:30] | so he’d go into one of his jealous rages, | 让他怒不可遏 |
[1:38:33] | and then I’d tell him where she was. | 再去找她 |
[1:38:35] | And you know what he would’ve done to her, don’t you, Walter? | 你知道他会做出什么事 对吧 |
[1:38:38] | Yeah, and for once I believe you, | 对 我今次相信你 |
[1:38:40] | because it’s just rotten enough. | 因为够卑鄙 |
[1:38:43] | We’re both rotten. | 我们一样卑鄙 |
[1:38:44] | Only you’re a little more rotten. | 但你比我更卑鄙 |
[1:38:46] | You got me to take care of your husband for you… | 你骗我去谋杀你的丈夫 |
[1:38:48] | and then you got Zachetti to take care of Lola, | 然后让尼诺杀死露娜 |
[1:38:51] | maybe take care of me, too. | 甚至我 |
[1:38:52] | Then somebody else would have come along | 再找人 |
[1:38:53] | to take care of Zachetti for you. | 对付尼诺 |
[1:38:55] | That’s the way you operate, isn’t it, baby? Suppose it is. | 是不是这样 假如是呢 |
[1:38:58] | Is what you’ve got cooked up for tonight any better? | 你有其他想法吗 |
[1:39:02] | I don’t like that music anymore. Mind if I close the window? | 我不再喜欢这种音乐 介意我关掉窗户吗 |
[1:39:26] | You can do better than that, can’t you, baby? | 你应该可以打得更准 |
[1:39:29] | Better try it again. | 最好再试试 |
[1:39:34] | Maybe if I came a little closer? | 也许我应该走近一点 |
[1:39:46] | How’s this? Think you can do it now? | 现在怎样 你可以下手吗 |
[1:39:58] | Why didn’t you shoot again, baby? | 你怎么不再打一枪 |
[1:40:06] | Don’t tell me | 别说你 |
[1:40:08] | it’s because you’ve been in love with me all this time. | 一直爱我 |
[1:40:10] | No, I never loved you, Walter, not you or anybody else. | 不 我从没爱过你 不单止你 所有人都是 |
[1:40:14] | I’m rotten to the heart. I used you, just as you said. | 我是卑鄙无耻的人 利用你 |
[1:40:17] | That’s all you ever meant to me… | 你只是我的工具 |
[1:40:21] | until a minute ago… | 直至刚才 |
[1:40:24] | when I couldn’t fire that second shot. | 当我发现自己无法打第二枪 |
[1:40:28] | I never thought that could happen to me. | 我从没想过会爱上一个人 |
[1:40:32] | Sorry, baby. I’m not buying. I’m not asking you to buy. | 对不起 我不相信你 我不是求你相信 |
[1:40:34] | Just hold me close. | 抱着我 |
[1:40:42] | Goodbye, baby. | 再见 宝贝 |
[1:41:38] | Zachetti. | 尼诺 |
[1:41:42] | Come here. | 过来 |
[1:41:49] | I said, come here. | 我叫你过来 |
[1:41:53] | My name is Neff. Yeah, and I still don’t like it. | 我是黎华达 是吗 我不喜欢你 |
[1:41:57] | What do you want? | 什么事 |
[1:41:58] | Look, kid. | 听着 孩子 |
[1:42:01] | I want to give you a present. This nice new nickel. | 我想送东西给你 一个五分币 |
[1:42:04] | What’s the gag? Suppose you go on back down the hill… | 你在玩什么 |
[1:42:06] | to the drugstore and make a phone call. | 你回山下的杂货店打个电话 |
[1:42:08] | Keep your nickel and buy yourself an ice-cream cone. | 留着这硬币 自己买雪糕筒 |
[1:42:10] | The number is Granite-0-3-8-6. | 电话是G0386 |
[1:42:12] | Ask for Miss Dietrichson. First name is Lola. | 找名叫露娜的狄小姐 |
[1:42:15] | She isn’t worth a nickel. | 她一文不值 |
[1:42:16] | If I ever talk to her, it’s not going to be over any telephone. | 若要我跟她谈 一定不会用电话 |
[1:42:18] | Tough, aren’t you? | 你自以为了不起 |
[1:42:19] | Here, take the nickel and call her. She wants you to. | 拿着钱去打给她 她想你找她 |
[1:42:22] | She doesn’t want any part of me. | 她不想要我 |
[1:42:24] | I know who told you that. It’s not true. | 我知道有人这样说 那不是真的 |
[1:42:26] | Lola’s in love with you. She always has been. | 露娜一直爱你 |
[1:42:29] | Don’t ask me why. I couldn’t even guess. | 不要问我原因 我也不明白 |
[1:42:31] | Here. Granite-0-3-8-6. Now go on and call her. | 拿着 G0386 快打给她 |
[1:42:35] | Go on. That way. | 走吧 那边 |
[1:42:47] | It’s almost 4:30 now, Keyes. | 现在差不多四时半 |
[1:42:50] | It’s cold. | 天气很冷 |
[1:42:54] | I wonder if she’s still lying alone up there in that house… | 我在想她是否仍然独自躺在家里 |
[1:42:57] | or if they’ve found her by now. | 抑或警方已经发现她 |
[1:43:01] | I wonder a lot of things. They don’t matter anymore. | 我千头万绪 但已不再重要 |
[1:43:09] | Except I want you to do a favor for me, Keyes. | 但我想你帮我一个忙 |
[1:43:13] | I want you to be the one to tell Lola, | 我想你在东窗事发前 |
[1:43:16] | kind of gently, before it breaks wide open. | 告诉露娜 |
[1:43:19] | And I want you to take care of her and that guy Zachetti… | 我想你照顾她和卓尼诺 |
[1:43:27] | so he doesn’t get pushed around too much. | 让他不用受太多苦难 |
[1:43:32] | Hello, Keyes. | 嗨 巴顿 |
[1:43:44] | Up pretty early, aren’t you? | 你今天很早起床 |
[1:43:47] | I always wondered what time you got down to the office. | 我一直想知道你何时回公司 |
[1:43:51] | Or did that little man of yours pull you out of bed? | 抑或你的隐形人唤醒了你 |
[1:43:55] | The janitor did. | 看更找我的 |
[1:43:57] | Seems you leaked a little blood on the way in here. | 他看见你在沿途留下血迹 |
[1:44:00] | Yeah. | 对 |
[1:44:01] | Wouldn’t be surprised. | 这不出奇 |
[1:44:05] | I wanted to straighten you out on that Dietrichson case. | 我想向你解释狄氏案的内情 |
[1:44:08] | So I gather. | 我明白 |
[1:44:12] | How long have you been standing there? Long enough. | 你站在这里多久了 很久了 |
[1:44:15] | Kind of a crazy story with a crazy twist to it. | 难以置信 峰回路转的故事 |
[1:44:19] | One you didn’t quite figure out. | 你还未完全破解的故事 |
[1:44:21] | You can’t figure them all, Walter. | 不可能每次都知道 |
[1:44:24] | That’s right. I guess you can’t at that. | 对 我猜你不会明白 |
[1:44:28] | Now I suppose I get the big speech… | 我喃喃自语 |
[1:44:32] | the one with all the two-dollar words in it. | 字眼复杂难明 |
[1:44:36] | Let’s have it, Keyes. | 我们讨论一下 |
[1:44:39] | Walter, you’re all washed up. | 华达 你全身湿透 |
[1:44:45] | Thanks, Keyes. That was short anyway. | 谢谢 没所谓 |
[1:44:49] | I’m gonna call for a doctor. | 我要叫医生来 |
[1:44:53] | What for? So they can patch me up? | 为什么 为我治疗 |
[1:44:57] | So they can nurse me along till I get back on my feet? | 令我康复 双脚站稳 |
[1:44:59] | So I can walk into that gas chamber up | 然后我自己 |
[1:45:01] | at San Quentin on my own power? | 走进毒气室 |
[1:45:03] | Is that it, Keyes? | 是不是 巴顿 |
[1:45:05] | Something like that. | 相差不远 |
[1:45:07] | I’ve got a different idea. Yeah? | 我有另一个提议对 |
[1:45:10] | Look, Keyes. | 听着 |
[1:45:11] | Suppose you went back to bed and didn’t find these cylinders… | 不如你回床上 |
[1:45:14] | till tomorrow morning, when the office opens… | 假装没发现办公室的录音带 |
[1:45:16] | After that you can play it any way you like. | 然后你想怎么做也可以 |
[1:45:19] | Would you do that much for me, Keyes? | 你可以为我做这件事吗 |
[1:45:22] | Give me one good reason. | 给我一个好理由 |
[1:45:23] | I need four hours to get where I’m going. | 我要四小时才能到达目的地 |
[1:45:26] | You’re not going anywhere, Walter. You bet I am. | 你哪里也去不成 |
[1:45:30] | I’m going across the border. You haven’t got a chance, Walter. | 我可以越过边境 你没有机会 |
[1:45:33] | Good enough to try for. | 试试无妨 |
[1:45:34] | You’ll never make the border. That’s what you think. | 你不可能越过边界 |
[1:45:39] | Just watch me. | 是吗 看我的厉害 |
[1:45:41] | You’ll never even make the elevator. | 你连升降机也去不成 |
[1:45:43] | So long, Keyes. | 再见 |
[1:46:14] | Hello… | 喂 |
[1:46:15] | send an ambulance to the Pacific Building on Olive Street. | 派救护车到橄榄街太平大厦 |
[1:46:20] | Yeah. It’s a police job. | 对 叫警察同时来 |
[1:46:42] | How you doing, Walter? Fine. | 你还好吗 华达 我很好 |
[1:46:46] | Only somebody moved the elevator a couple of miles away. | 只是有人将升降机移开了 |
[1:46:50] | They’re on the way. | 他们正赶来 |
[1:46:57] | You know why you couldn’t figure this one, Keyes? | 你知道为何无法破解这案件 |
[1:46:59] | I’ll tell you. | 告诉你 |
[1:47:01] | Because the guy you were looking for was too close. | 因为你要找的人太近了 |
[1:47:05] | He was right across the desk from you. | 他就坐在你办公桌对面 |
[1:47:07] | Closer than that, Walter. | 比办公桌更接近 |
[1:47:14] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |