时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:09] | It’s not that I don’t like him, Dr Crane. | 我也不是不喜欢他 Crane医生 |
[00:12] | It’s just he’s gotten so attached. | 只是他太黏人了 |
[00:14] | I mean, roses every day for a week after two dates? | 我是说 只约会过两次他就连续一周天天送玫瑰 |
[00:18] | Maggie, first thing you have to do | Maggie 你首先要做的是 |
[00:20] | is sit Gavin down for a nice long conversation. | 跟Gavin一起坐下来好好长谈一次 |
[00:26] | And frank with honest discussion telling him | 坦白告诉他 |
[00:28] | though he wants to go at one speed, | 他的交往节奏有些快了 |
[00:31] | you need to go at another. | 你更倾向于慢慢发展关系 |
[00:33] | Tell him you’re not rejecting him, and you are fond of him, | 告诉他这不是拒绝 你喜欢他 |
[00:37] | but if he doesn’t give you some breathing room… | 但是如果他让你觉得喘不过气来 |
[00:38] | You know suddenly I wonder what Roz, | 你知道吗 我突然很好奇Roz |
[00:41] | my non-PhD-holding producer, thinks you should do. | 我的这位没有博士学历的制作人对此事的看法 |
[00:45] | Well, I just think that any guy who’s that clingy | 我觉得任何一个两次约会后 |
[00:48] | after two dates has a major insecurity problem. | 就这么黏人的男人都有很严重的安全感缺乏问题 |
[00:51] | I say, “Dump him, now. Head for the hills and don’t look back.” | 我劝你 现在就甩了他 有多远躲多远 别回头 |
[00:54] | It’s so good to hear that, Roz. | 听见你这么说真是太好了 Roz |
[00:58] | That’s what I wanted to do, | 我也是这么想的 |
[00:59] | but I felt so guilty. Thanks so much. Bye. | 但是我觉得很愧疚 太谢谢你了 再见 |
[01:06] | And that takes us to a commercial. | 下面是广告时间 |
[01:08] | This, for those of you who may have forgotten, | 提醒一下某些忘记了的人 |
[01:10] | is the Dr Frasier Crane Show. | 这是Frasier Crane医生的节目 |
[01:14] | Now here’s your new parking pass. | 这是你的新停车证 |
[01:16] | I confirmed your dinner reservations for three. | 3人晚餐预定也已经确认过了 |
[01:19] | As your father’s request,it should be dining at Chez Shrimp. | 按照你爸的要求 晚餐在小虾之家 |
[01:23] | Here’re two letters that you gotta sign. | 这有两封信需要你签名 |
[01:25] | A card for Clarens the guard that we’re all signing, | 一张给保安Clarens的卡片 我们都签了 |
[01:27] | and a notice about signing up for the KACL bowling team. | 一张我们电台保龄球队的报名表 |
[01:30] | I’ll just file this right in the trash. | 我直接把这个扔掉 |
[01:33] | Oh, wonderful. Another card. | 噢 太好了 又一张卡 |
[01:36] | Because I as resident wit here, would have to think something clever to say. | 作为这里最有智慧的人 我得写些漂亮话上去 |
[01:39] | Well,at least I’ve got another gayly KACL birthday bash to look forward to. | 至少能参加一个开心的电台生日派对 |
[01:44] | I can just taste that frozen cake right now. | 我仿佛现在就能尝到冰冻蛋糕的味道 |
[01:47] | and hear wild applause as | 听到这个成年人吹熄一把蜡烛时 |
[01:49] | an adult snuffs out a handful of tiny candles. | 人群中热烈的掌声 |
[01:54] | – What are you grousing about? – Oh, nothing, nothing. | – 你又在嘟囔什么 – 没啥 没啥 |
[02:02] | Yes, the pageantry never stops. | 噢 我为什么一点也不意外 |
[02:11] | Mr Fancy Pants | 装逼先生 |
[02:13] | He’s gonna buy a German car. | 非要买辆德国车 |
[02:15] | It’s not my fault we broke down. | 车坏了怪我咯 |
[02:17] | Right,if you bought an American, | 不怪你怪谁 如果你买的是辆美国车 |
[02:18] | I wouldn’t have to tow your car half way across the state to get it fixed. | 我就不用大老远把车拖过半个州拿去修 |
[02:21] | That’s why I always buy an American. | 所以我都买美国车 |
[02:23] | You break down you just drive to the nearest garage. | 一旦坏了就直接开去最近的一个修理厂 |
[02:26] | I could break down all alone in the middle of Alaska. | 哪怕我一个人在阿拉斯加车坏了都没问题 |
[02:29] | Finally a thought raised all our spirits. | 终于有一个想法可以让我们精神振奋了 |
[02:33] | This traffic is murder. I suggest we walk home, | 这路也太堵了 我们不如步行回去好了 |
[02:36] | but I’m afraid what humidity will do to these loafers. | 但我担心外面太潮湿把我的皮鞋弄坏了 |
[02:39] | Does calfskin pucker? | 小牛皮会起皱吗 |
[02:41] | Yes,nuts. That’s why on humid farms, | 会啊 呆逼 所以在潮湿的农场里 |
[02:44] | the calf is the most made-fun-of of all the animals. | 小牛犊天天被别的动物嘲笑 |
[02:50] | There’s no point being snide. We’re all going to be in here for a while. | 这么刻薄做什么 既然要在这堵上一段时间 |
[02:54] | Do you mind if we all try and make pleasant conversation. | 不如聊些开心的事情 |
[02:56] | We are family after all. It shouldn’t be that hard. | 毕竟我们是一家人 应该没什么问题 |
[03:05] | So you’ve been driving alone? | 你一直独自驾车吗 |
[03:07] | Not really. | 也不是 |
[03:08] | I bet you have some pretty good stories, though? | 我猜你一定阅历丰富吧 |
[03:11] | You guys ever hear of a woman having a baby in a cab? | 你们听过一个女人在出租车里分娩的事吗 |
[03:13] | – Classic.- We’ve all heard that one. | -经典 – 我们都听过 |
[03:16] | Why? Did that happen in this cab? | 怎么 发生在这辆出租车里吗 |
[03:17] | No. I think it’s about to. | 没有 但我觉得将要发生了 |
[03:19] | – You’re pregnant? – Yes. | -你怀孕了吗 – 是的 |
[03:21] | Ow! | 啊 |
[03:22] | Don’t panic. It may just be false labour. | 别慌 可能只是假临产 |
[03:25] | My water just broke. I’m sitting here in a puddle of water. | 我的羊水破了 我正坐在一个水坑中 |
[03:29] | Calfskin! Calfskin! | 小牛皮 小牛皮 |
[03:33] | I think the closest hospital is First Methodist. | 最近的医院是第一卫理公会 |
[03:35] | Oh, we’ll never make it in this traffic. | 噢 在这种情况下我们赶不及了 |
[03:36] | Ms you’d better Pull over! | 女士你最好靠边停车 |
[03:38] | – Please try to park facing downhill. – Niles! | – 最好停在下坡路上 – Niles |
[03:40] | I can’t have my baby here. | 我不能在这生小孩 |
[03:43] | All right. Now listen, there’s no need for you to be concerned. | 放心 你听着 没什么好担心的 |
[03:45] | You happen to be in the presence of two trained medical professionals. | 恰巧有两个受过专业医务训练的人在场 |
[03:48] | Niles, help the woman. | Niles 帮帮这位女士 |
[03:51] | – Hurry! – I know.I know | – 快点 – 知道了 知道了 |
[03:56] | The other door! Oh, for God sakes! | 另外一边的门 噢 我的天哪 |
[04:02] | Oh, is anybody there? Come in! | 有人在吗 听到请回复 |
[04:04] | All right. All right. | 好啦 好啦 |
[04:05] | Now the most important thing you can do right now is breath and deeply. | 你现在能做的最重要的事就是呼吸 深呼吸 |
[04:08] | Just do as I do. | 跟着我做 |
[04:12] | Are you feeling faint or short of breath? | 你觉得头晕或者呼吸短促吗 |
[04:14] | Yes, both of us. | 是的 我俩都这么觉得 |
[04:17] | – Hello? Go ahead. – Yes, I’m calling from cab No 804. | – 你好 继续说 – 嗯 这里是804号出租车 |
[04:22] | This is an emergency. Your driver Arleen just went into labour. | 情况紧急 你们的司机Arleen马上要生了 |
[04:27] | We’re at the corner of 14th Sycamore. | 我们在第14枫树大道的拐角处 |
[04:29] | We need an ambulance here right now. Do you hear me? Over. | 请快叫一辆救护车来 听见了吗 完毕 |
[04:32] | Yes, I’ll be right on. | 好的 马上就到 |
[04:34] | – It really hurts. – It’s ok. It’s natural. | – 好疼啊 – 没关系 是正常的 |
[04:35] | No, you’re squeezing my hand. | 不是 是你在捏我的手 |
[04:39] | I’m sorry. I only did this once before in medical school. | 对不起 我只在医学院做过一次这种事而已 |
[04:42] | And all I remember is white lights and lots of blood | 我只记得有很多白灯 大量的血 |
[04:44] | and a lino floor hurtling towards my forehead. | 然后就是迅速贴近我额头的铺着油毡的地板 |
[04:48] | – You fainted? – Oh, switch places with me honey and see how you do. | – 你晕倒了 – 噢 亲爱的 你要在那也会晕的 |
[04:51] | Oh God, Niles, I’ll do this! | 真是看不下去了 Niles 我来吧 |
[04:57] | – The baby’s really coming now. I feel it. – All right. All right. | -孩子要出来了 我感觉到了 -好的 好的 |
[04:59] | That’s a good thing. If he does come out, I’ll be here to catch him. | 这是好事 如果他真出来了 我会接住他的 |
[05:01] | Now listen. Just continue with your breathing. | 听着 你继续深呼吸 |
[05:08] | I don’t want you feeling guilty for having your baby in a cab. | 我不希望你因为在出租车里生小孩而感到自责 |
[05:10] | No, there’s none of these to be ashamed of. | 没什么值得惭愧的 |
[05:13] | I’m sure many great Americans have been born this way. | 我相信有很多伟大的美国人都是这样出生的 |
[05:16] | Cab Calloway comes to mind. | 比如Cab Calloway |
[05:19] | You know, my particular area of medicine is psychiatria. | 你知道吗 我主攻精神医疗方面 |
[05:22] | I like to picturize in the head. You know, not the lower portion of the body. | 我喜欢影像化大脑 而不是身体的下半部分 |
[05:26] | It’s less messy that way. | 那没这么污秽 |
[05:27] | Not that your lower portion is messy at all. | 不是说你的下半身很污秽 |
[05:30] | It’s quite beautiful actually. Not that I’m looking! | 实际上它很漂亮 我绝对没有看 |
[05:33] | – Is the pain that bad? – No, you’re driving me crazy! | – 很疼吗 – 不是 你快把我逼疯了 |
[05:39] | Move it out, come on! | 出来 快点 |
[05:42] | What’re you a doctor, too? | 怎么你也是医生吗 |
[05:43] | No, I’m a retired cop. | 不是的 我是一个退休的警察 |
[05:45] | Well, what took you so long? It’s really hurting. | 那你怎么才来 真的好疼啊 |
[05:48] | I know. Look,everything’s gonna be just fine sweetheart now. | 我知道 一切都会好起来的 亲爱的 |
[05:51] | I’ve delivered more than a few babies in my lifetime, | 我一生中接生过不少孩子 |
[05:54] | and some of them were even older than you are now. | 有些孩子都比你大了 |
[05:56] | Now, Frasier’s gonna hold your hand and help you with your breathing, | 现在 Frasier握住你的手帮你呼吸 |
[05:59] | and Niles’s gonna look out for the ambulance | Niles注意一下救护车 |
[06:01] | and I’m gonna get ready to bring your beautiful baby into this world. | 我会准备帮你把漂亮的小宝贝带到这个世界上 |
[06:05] | Ok? | 好吗 |
[06:05] | – Ok. – Are there any questions? | – 好的 – 还有任何问题吗 |
[06:07] | Yes, should our meter still be running? | 有一个 车上的计价器关了吗 |
[06:14] | Hello? Are you back yet? | 有人吗 你们回来了吗 |
[06:29] | Well, go on. Turn your heads. | 继续 把头转过去 |
[06:41] | Ok. So I guess you’ve had some excitement tonight. | 好了 我猜你们今晚找了些乐子 |
[06:46] | No, I haven’t! | 不 我没有 |
[06:50] | Well, your father sure made it sound | 反正你爸爸在电话里听起来很兴奋 |
[06:52] | exciting on the phone: delivering a baby in a taxi. | 在出租车中接生一个孩子 |
[06:56] | Oh, that. I don’t think that’s excitement as much as | 噢 你说这个 我不觉得有什么 |
[06:59] | my swoon duty to use those skills I honed in medical school. | 只是把医学院的知识学以致用 履行医生天职罢了 |
[07:02] | Yes, Niles ran down to a falafel stand for a pot of hot water. | 是的 Niles跑到三明治摊子要了一壶热水 |
[07:08] | Well, What I can’t get over is that feeling | 我忘不了的是那种 |
[07:10] | of being right when a person’s life begins. | 迎接一个小生命时心中的感觉 |
[07:13] | One minute, it’s just this blob in some lady’s stomach, | 一分钟前还只是某位女士肚子里的一团 |
[07:16] | next minute, it’s a person. | 下一分钟就变成一个人 |
[07:18] | Blob-Person. | 一团 人 |
[07:22] | The miracle of birth’s summed up in one poetic phrase. | 生育的奇迹被概括成一个富有诗意的短语 |
[07:26] | And I bet you have some fond memories when your own son was born. | 我敢说你们儿子出生时 肯定也有很美好的回忆 |
[07:30] | Oh, yes, of course. | 噢 是的 当然 |
[07:31] | I remember the very first time I held him in my arms as a newborn. | 我记得第一次我把他这个新生儿抱在怀里的情景 |
[07:35] | it was as if everything else in the universe simply melted away. | 就好像宇宙中其他的东西都融化了 |
[07:40] | There was just a father, | 只剩下一个父亲 |
[07:41] | a son and the distant sound of Lilith saying, | 一个儿子 以及Lilith的声音遥遥传来 |
[07:45] | “If you ever come near me again, | “如果你再靠近一步 |
[07:47] | Frasier, I’ll drop you with a deer rifle!” | Frasier 我就用猎枪射死你 |
[07:52] | At least nowadays fathers get to see their sons being born. | 至少现在爸爸可以看着自己的儿子出生 |
[07:55] | In my days, they stuck us in the waiting room, | 想当年 他们把我们拦在等待室里 |
[07:58] | smoking cigarettes and reading life magazine. | 抽烟或者看生活杂志 |
[08:01] | I can still remember the exact article I was reading when Niles was born. | 我还记得Niles出生时我读的那篇文章 |
[08:05] | It was about Mickey Mantle. | 是关于Mickey Mantle的 |
[08:08] | Talk about Life setting you up for a fall. | 讲生活摆了你一道 |
[08:14] | – I’m turning in. – Night, Dad. | – 我上床睡觉了 – 晚安 爸爸 |
[08:18] | I can’t wait to see what kind of dreams I’ll have | 听你们讲了这些生孩子的事后 |
[08:19] | after all this talk about child-bearing. | 我有点期待今晚会做什么样的梦了 |
[08:23] | Probably that one where my mother shows up and says | 很可能是我妈妈在说 |
[08:25] | “Well, Daphne, | “看看你 Daphne |
[08:26] | you’re 50 now and you’ve never given me grandchildren.” | 都已经50岁了 还没有给我生个孙子” |
[08:30] | So I say, “That was my choice to make, mom. I was thinking of my career.” | 然后我说”这是我自己的决定 妈妈 事业为先嘛” |
[08:35] | “Oh, sure, your career. But did you ever think of me?” | “噢 是啊 你的事业 但是你为我想过吗” |
[08:38] | “Mother, I don’t want to start this again. Just drop it!” | “妈妈 我不想再讨论这个问题了 别再说了” |
[08:41] | -“Oh, will she drop it?” – “Oh, shut up, mother!” | -“她会放弃吗” – “闭嘴 妈妈” |
[08:44] | “Don’t talk to me like that, young lady…” | “别和我顶嘴 小姑娘” |
[08:49] | I wonder how many more people she’s got in there with her. | 我很好奇她的故事里还有多少角色 |
[08:59] | – Sherry, Niles? – No, thank you. | – 来点雪莉酒吗 Niles – 不用了 谢谢 |
[09:02] | – Seems, Niles, you’re reflective. Something in your mind? – Actually, yes. | – Niles 你心神不宁啊 在想什么吗 – 呃 是的 |
[09:07] | For the past several months, I’ve noticed | 过去的几个月中 我注意到 |
[09:09] | my thoughts often drifted to the same subject: | 我经常在思考同一个问题 |
[09:12] | will I ever be a father? There are pros and cons of course. | 我将来会成为一个父亲吗 这事虽然有利有弊 |
[09:16] | But watching that child-birth tonight, | 但是今晚亲眼目睹婴儿的出生 |
[09:18] | I realised it’s something I really want. | 我意识到这就是我想要的 |
[09:21] | I think. | 大概是 |
[09:24] | Come on. | 是的 |
[09:24] | It’s perfectly nature to have parental stirrings of your age. | 在你这个年纪萌生为人父母的想法是很正常的 |
[09:27] | No, no, no…This is more than stirrings. | 不 不 这不仅仅是个萌芽 |
[09:28] | I wake up nights thinking about it. | 我经常晚上醒来想这个问题 |
[09:30] | – Have you talked this over with Maris? – Not yet. | – 你跟Maris谈论过吗 – 还没有 |
[09:33] | I like to know what I want before Maris tells me. | 我想在Maris告诉我之前搞清楚我想要什么 |
[09:40] | I’m just not sure I’m ready for fatherhood. | 我只是不确定是否准备好做父亲了 |
[09:43] | Oh, Niles, no one is really sure. | 噢 Niles 没有人能真正确定 |
[09:45] | You know in schools these days, | 你知道吗 现在在学校里 |
[09:48] | teenagers who’re thinking about becoming parents | 他们给那些想为人父母的青少年 |
[09:50] | are given ten pounds sack of flour | 一包10磅的面粉 |
[09:52] | to keep with them for a week, as though it were a baby. | 把面粉当婴儿 让他们保存一礼拜 |
[09:55] | You’re kidding? | 你在开玩笑吧 |
[09:56] | No. They hold it, they care for it. | 没有 他们抱着面粉 照顾它 |
[09:58] | Never let it out of their sight. | 不让它离开自己的视线范围 |
[10:00] | It gives them a very good idea of | 让他们体会到 |
[10:01] | the constant responsibility of being a parent. | 作为家长的这种一生的责任 |
[10:04] | It’s very clever. What could be better than | 好方法 有什么经历能比 |
[10:06] | hands-on experience? Might be worth a try! | 亲力亲为更好呢 值得一试 |
[10:09] | Well, I wasn’t actually suggesting… | 我并不是真的建议 |
[10:10] | Why not? This is a perfect week. Maris is away. | 为什么不 Maris出门了 这周是个好机会 |
[10:12] | I’m desperate to resolve the issue. Frasier, where do you keep the flour? | 我迫切地想解决这个问题 Frasier 你把面粉放哪了 |
[10:18] | – In the kitchen. – In the kitchen. | – 厨房里 – 向厨房前进 |
[10:21] | The cabinet next to the sink. | 水池旁边的橱柜里 |
[10:23] | Yes, here it is. “Extra-refined.” | 找到了 特别精制 |
[10:27] | It’s taking after its old man already. | 它已经开始照顾他的老爸了 |
[10:31] | No, that’s the sugar. If we’re gonna do this, we’re gonna do it right. | 不 这是糖 如果真决定了 那就认真地执行 |
[10:35] | Now, here is the flour. | 好了 这个就是面粉 |
[10:37] | “Bleached, 100% fat free, | “漂白 100%无脂肪 |
[10:40] | best when kept in an airtight container.” | 最好保存在密封容器中” |
[10:44] | It seems this one’s taking after its mother. | 看来这个开始照顾它妈妈了 |
[10:58] | Oh, Hello, Niles. | 噢 你好 Niles |
[10:59] | Hello, Frasier, may I join you? Or should I say, “May we?” | 你好 Frasier 我能坐这吗 也许我应该说”我们” |
[11:02] | May we. | “你们”请 |
[11:06] | So you’re still continuing with our little baby experiment? | 所以你还在做这个育儿实验吗 |
[11:09] | Yes. And it’s turned out to be quite a learning experience. | 是的 而且我真的受益匪浅呢 |
[11:13] | Not easy, though! I take him everywhere, | 尽管不容易 我去哪都得带着他 |
[11:16] | get up for 2:00 am feedings, the whole exhausting nine yards. | 早上2点起来喂奶 简直精疲力尽啊 |
[11:20] | What a beautiful baby! How old is he? | 好漂亮的宝宝 他多大了 |
[11:23] | – Eight weeks. – Oh, great age, isn’t it? | – 8周 – 噢 美好的年纪 不是吗 |
[11:33] | Niles? I can’t help | Niles 我注意到 |
[11:34] | noticing that your child has a little boo-boo. | 你的小孩似乎受了点轻伤 |
[11:38] | Oh, it’s nothing. I was playing him some Brahms the other day. | 噢 没什么 我那天给他放了些Brahms的曲子 |
[11:42] | Never too early to ingrain them. | 从小培养音乐细胞嘛 |
[11:45] | I guess I must have begun conducting | 我猜我当时肯定 |
[11:47] | with one of the gilt chopsticks Maris wear her bun | 用Maris绑头发用的镀金筷子来指挥了 |
[11:49] | and I accidentally ran him through. | 结果一不小心戳到他了 |
[11:53] | What young parent doesn’t tell that story. | 哪个年轻的家长没有类似的经历呢 |
[12:00] | The scuffs, we were just paying the careless | 这个磨损 是我们太粗心了 |
[12:02] | and this was the fault of my new houseman, Ngee. | 都怪我的新男佣Ngee |
[12:04] | – What did Ghee do? – No, no, it’s Ngee. | – Ghee做了啥 – 不 不是的 是Ngee |
[12:07] | – Ghee. – No, with back of your throat. Ngee. | – Ghee – 不 用你喉咙的后半部分发音 Ngee |
[12:10] | Oh, who cares? What did he do? | 随便叫什么 他干了什么 |
[12:13] | He’d just given my car the most brlliant shine, | 他把我的车洗的很亮 |
[12:15] | when I sat the baby on the roof | 我把宝宝放在车顶上 |
[12:17] | and “don-ni-wen don-ni-wen”he went down to the driveway. | 他”咕噜噜 咕噜噜”一路滚到停车道上了 |
[12:21] | Would you watch him for me while I order? | 能帮我照看下他吗 我去点餐 |
[12:27] | Hey, Frase. This seat’s taken? | 嘿 Frase 这位子有人吗 |
[12:30] | Well, actually… No. | 呃 其实 没有 |
[12:36] | Well, you’ll be happy to know that Clarence’s doing a lot better. | 你肯定很高兴 Clarence已经好多了 |
[12:39] | I just dropped his card off. | 我刚去送了贺卡 |
[12:40] | – Clarence? – Yes, Clarence, the guard. | – Clarence – 是的 Clarence 那个保安 |
[12:43] | Oh, down at the station, Clarence. | 噢 电台的那个 |
[12:44] | Yes, well, that’s good. I didn’t know he was sick. | 当然 太好了 我都不知道他病了 |
[12:47] | You signed his “Get well” Card. | 你还给他写了健康卡的啊 |
[12:50] | That wasn’t a birthday card? | 那不是生日卡吗 |
[12:53] | No, he’s in the hospital the having a kidney transplant. | 不是的 他在医院做肾移植手术 |
[12:57] | Oh, my God! I thought it was his birthday. | 噢 天哪 我以为是生日卡 |
[13:00] | I wrote, | 我写的是 |
[13:01] | “Dear Clarence, you’re not getting older. | “亲爱的Clarence 你不是在变老 |
[13:02] | You’re just closer to death.” | 你只是离死亡又近了一步” |
[13:09] | How could you think it was his birthday? | 你怎么会觉得那是生日卡呢 |
[13:11] | Don’t know. I just didn’t recognise the | 我不知道 哪门子的传统是 |
[13:13] | traditional card for a man in an advance stage of kidney film | 给肾薄膜正在恢复的人一张 |
[13:15] | is a giant pink bunny rabbit. | 印着巨大的粉色兔子的卡片 |
[13:19] | Do you think he’s read it yet? | 你觉得他看了吗 |
[13:20] | No, I don’t think so. He was sleeping when I left. | 没 我想没有 我走的时候他在睡觉 |
[13:22] | God, I’m gonna look like a callous fool. | 天哪 我马上要被当成一个冷血的傻子了 |
[13:24] | We’ve gotten to get back down there and get the card back. | 我们必须得回去拿回那张卡 |
[13:26] | How can you be leaving? Oh, I asked you to baby-sit! | 你怎么能走呢 噢 我让你帮我照看小孩的 |
[13:29] | Oh, Niles! I have no time to stand here and listen to your insanity! | 别吵了 Niles 我没时间听你这些疯话 |
[13:33] | I have to go to steal a “Get well” Card from a kidney patient. | 我要去从一位肾病患者那偷健康卡 |
[13:40] | What does that say “Geb…”? | 这写的是什么 “起开”吗 |
[13:43] | No, no, it’s “Get”. “Get well soon. Love, Andrea.” | 不是 是”起来” “快点好起来 爱你的Andrea” |
[13:47] | Just copy it down and move on to the next name. | 照着抄就是 然后继续抄下一个名字 |
[13:51] | We have to transfer all the old names | 我们要把这张卡片上之前所有的名字 |
[13:52] | from this card on to the new card. | 抄到新的卡片上 |
[13:54] | As quickly as possible. I want to get it back tonight. | 越快越好 我想今晚就把卡送回去 |
[13:57] | So you actually snuck into a man’s hospital room | 所以你真的是偷偷溜进别人的病房 |
[14:00] | and stole his card? | 然后偷了他的健康卡吗 |
[14:01] | I did not sneak in. Luckily, | 我没有偷偷地溜进去 算我走运 |
[14:02] | the man was in an extreme pain and heavily sedated. | 他因为剧痛打了镇静剂 |
[14:05] | It never would happen if you take your time to | 如果你花点时间弄清Clarence是谁 |
[14:08] | find out who this Clarence guy was. | 这所有的一切都不会发生了 |
[14:09] | You never pay any attention to the little people in your life. | 你从来都不注意你生活中的小角色 |
[14:12] | Yes, as soon as we’ve done with this, | 是啊 等我把这些弄完 |
[14:14] | why don’t we invite the commoners over | 我们就把所有的人都请过来 |
[14:16] | to drag me down to the town square and give me a good stoning. | 把我拖到广场上 让他们扔石头砸我 |
[14:20] | That must be Niles. He’s gonna take me down to the hospital. | 肯定是Niles 他待会要送我去医院 |
[14:25] | – Hello, Niles. – Hello, Frasier. | – 你好 Niles – 你好 Frasier |
[14:40] | What are you doing with that thing? | 你拿那玩意干嘛 |
[14:42] | I’m forging a parent-child bond that will last forever. | 我在练习发展一段永恒的亲子关系 |
[14:45] | That’s a relief. I was afraid it might be something stupid. | 真是松了口气 我还怕你又要干什么蠢事呢 |
[14:51] | If it makes you feel better I don’t wear it in public. | 如果能安慰到你的话 在公共场合我不带这个 |
[14:54] | I just wanna get a complete picture of parenthood. | 我只是想感受一段完整的为人父母的经历 |
[14:56] | – And? – It’s driving me batty. | – 然后呢 – 我快要疯了 |
[15:04] | The feedings every two hours, constantly monitoring where he is. | 每两小时喂一次 还要一直看着他在哪 |
[15:09] | I can see how parents can be obsessed with worry. | 我终于明白为什么家长都这么喜欢担心了 |
[15:11] | Last night, I actually had a dream: my flour sack was abducted | 昨晚 我做了个梦 我的面粉宝被拐走了 |
[15:15] | and the kidnappers started sending me muffins in the mail. | 绑匪一直往我邮箱寄松饼 |
[15:25] | Well, on the plus side, I’ve learnt a lot. | 不过 好的一面是 我学到了很多 |
[15:29] | And I think if I’ll ever undergo through the real thing, | 我觉得如果我经历一段真正的育儿过程的话 |
[15:32] | I’ll make a quite wonderful parent. | 以后肯定会是个很好的家长 |
[15:37] | Niles, what has happened to your child? | Niles 你的孩子怎么了 |
[15:41] | I was practising my t’ai chi exercises this morning | 今天早上我在练太极 |
[15:43] | and I accidentally kicked him into the reflecting pool. | 不小心把他踢到倒影池里了 |
[15:49] | That’s when I brought him inside | 我所以把他带到屋里 |
[15:51] | and left him by the hearth to dry. | 放在炉子旁边烤干就变成这样了 |
[15:55] | He caught on fire? | 他烤糊了吗 |
[15:59] | It was not as careless as you make to seem. | 我没有你们看上去那么粗心啦 |
[16:02] | After all, a real child would have cried before it burst into flames. | 毕竟 一个真正的孩子在着火前是会哭的 |
[16:13] | Ah! Time for his nap! | 哈 小憩时间到了 |
[16:18] | – Turn him over if he starts fussing, will you, dad? – No. | – 他焦虑的时候给他翻个身 好吗 爸爸 – 不行 |
[16:23] | – I’m role-playing, Dad. – Try play the role of a sane person. | – 我在角色扮演 爸爸 – 试着扮演个正常人吧 |
[16:35] | So, Niles, any closer to making a decision about fatherhood? | Niles 想好要不要孩子了吗 |
[16:39] | To tell you the truth? No. | 说实话 没有 |
[16:40] | One minute, | 有时候 |
[16:41] | I think there’s no chance in hell I will ever be able to stand the stress, | 我觉得自己绝不可能承受这些压力 |
[16:44] | the next, | 过一会 |
[16:44] | I found myself daydreaming about | 又开始幻想第一次 |
[16:46] | taking my son on his first trip to the museum | 带自己的儿子去博物馆 |
[16:48] | or listening to him picking out his first feeble | 或者听他第一次不连贯地演奏”致爱丽丝” |
[16:50] | For Elise on piano. And I swear there are tears in my eyes. | 我想着想着眼眶都湿润了 |
[17:01] | Oh, dear… Eddie! | 噢 天哪 Eddie |
[17:04] | That dingo’s got your baby. | 那个野狗抓住你的孩子了 |
[17:09] | Oh, God! Eddie, Dad! | 噢 天哪 Eddie 爸 |
[17:13] | Don’t worry. I’ll clean that mess up. | 别担心 我会打扫干净的 |
[17:16] | For God’s sakes, Niles, calm down! | 真受不了你 Niles 冷静点 |
[17:19] | Well, I think it’s time you realise something. | 我想你应该认识到一些事了 |
[17:21] | That is not a person. It’s a bag of flour. | 那不是真的人 只是一袋面粉 |
[17:25] | It’s an easy trick to tell what the difference. | 很容易分辨他们的区别 |
[17:27] | People don’t usually come up with pop recipes on their backs. | 人们不会把些流行食谱放到小孩背上的 |
[17:31] | This whole thing is stupid! We’re talking about having a baby here. | 这整件事都很荒谬 我们说的是要不要小孩 |
[17:36] | You don’t make that decision in your life choice. | 不是靠你的生活来做选择 |
[17:38] | You make it in here, in your gut. | 而是靠你的内心 |
[17:40] | You must have a gut feeling, Niles. What is it? | 你内心肯定有感觉的 Niles 到底是什么 |
[17:43] | – I’m not sure. – Well, you’d better be. | – 我不确定 – 那你最好弄清楚 |
[17:45] | Because no other thinking can prepare you | 因为光靠想是没办法确定 |
[17:47] | for what having a kid is really like. | 养一个孩子的真正感受的 |
[17:49] | It’s hard. Full of surprises. | 虽然很困难 但充满惊喜 |
[17:52] | Maybe your kid don’t wanna take piano lessons or go to the museum. | 可能你的孩子不想学钢琴 或者去博物馆 |
[17:56] | – He might wanna go to a baseball game. – Don’t even say that. | – 他可能想去打棒球 – 别提这个词 |
[18:01] | Just trust yourself son. That’s all. You’ll know if it’s right or not. | 跟着直觉走 儿子 你会弄清自己的心的 |
[18:08] | Well, Niles, I’ve finished with this now. | Niles 我这边都弄完了 |
[18:10] | Are you ready to take me to the hospital? | 你准备好带我去医院了吗 |
[18:12] | You know, Frasier, I’m getting to wonder this whole experiment | 你知道吗 Frasier 我在想这整个实验不仅仅是 |
[18:16] | wasn’t just a way of convincing myself | 为了说服我自己准备好去做什么 |
[18:18] | I’m ready for something, when I know in my heart I’m not. | 即使我的心里知道我还没准备好 |
[18:21] | – What do you mean? – I want to have a baby. | – 什么意思 – 我想要个小孩 |
[18:26] | But I just don’t want it enough. | 但还没有到很想要的程度 |
[18:31] | Oh… And that’s the hardest thing I’ve ever had to admit. | 噢 这真是我最难承认的事了 |
[18:35] | – Why do you say that? – Because it’s so selfish. | – 为什么这么说 – 因为这很自私 |
[18:40] | I’m the right age, I have the money, the energy. | 我处于合适的年龄 我有钱 有精力 |
[18:44] | Niles, it’s only selfish | Niles 只有当人们因为种种错误的原因 |
[18:46] | when people wanna have babies for the wrong reasons. | 要孩子的时候才是自私 |
[18:48] | I think more people should do what you did | 我认为更多的人应该像你一样 |
[18:50] | finding out if they’re really ready. | 去看看他们是否真的准备好了 |
[18:52] | Anyway, you know, just beacuse you’re feeling this way now | 无论如何 你知道 你现在有这样的感觉并不说明 |
[18:55] | doesn’t mean that things can’t change in a few years down the line. | 事情将来不会发生变化 |
[18:58] | Perhaps you’re right. | 也许你是对的 |
[19:01] | Of course. Maris and I will be over 40 then. | 不过我和Maris都快40岁了 |
[19:04] | Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to look into getting some of her eggs frozen. | 也许试试把她的卵子冷冻储藏起来会更好 |
[19:09] | Oh, I suspect they’re only a few degrees away from that now. | 噢 那和这些卵子现在所处的环境只有几度之差吧 |
[19:18] | You’re certainly going through a lot of trouble | 显然你因为这个Clarence |
[19:19] | for this Clarence fellow. Who is he? | 惹了很多麻烦 他是谁 |
[19:21] | Beats me. Some guy down at the station. | 难住我了 他是台里的某个人 |
[19:46] | Dr Crane! It’s Clarence! You were in there looking for me, weren’t you? | Crane医生 我是Clarence 你刚在里面找我 是吗 |
[19:53] | – As a matter of fact, I was. Yes. – Well, they changed my room. | – 事实上 是的 – 他们给我换了房间 |
[19:56] | Oh…This is so sweet of you. | 噢 你太贴心了 |
[19:58] | Clarence is such a fixture | Clarence是台里的 |
[20:01] | down at the station. It’s just I don’t feel the same without him. | 固定成员了 他不在我总觉得有点不一样 |
[20:04] | You find the time to come down to here | 你抽时间过来这边 |
[20:06] | while the rest of those | 而台里那些其他的 |
[20:07] | bums at the station don’t even send me a card. | 懒鬼连张卡片都没送我 |
[20:11] | Actually, Clarence, there’s an explanation for that. | 实际上 Clarence 我得和你解释解释 |
[20:17] | Make the music stop! | 把音乐给我停了 |
[20:26] | You see, the others at the station, they just don’t know you the way I do. | 你看 台里其他的人 他们不像我这么了解你 |
[20:31] | Yes, er…Well, listen, you get yourself well. | 好了 嗯 听着 好好照顾自己 |
[20:34] | And get back right there, ok? I miss seeing you every time I walk by the… | 快点回来 ok 我总想起你每当我路过 |
[20:39] | …place you tend to be. | 你应该在的地方的时候 |
[20:42] | Niles Niles Niles, Niles | |
[20:48] | Niles, what are you doing? | Niles 你在干嘛 |
[20:50] | Looking at these babies, I can’t help wondering | 看着这些婴儿 我忍不住想 |
[20:53] | if..if.. I made the right decision. | 我是否做了正确的决定 |
[20:55] | – Niles… – Look at them! | – Niles – 看看他们 |
[20:57] | Frasier, they’re healthy, beautiful, lovable… | Frasier 他们这么健康 漂亮 可爱 |
[21:01] | Flammable. | 易燃 |
[21:04] | How can I deny myself this experience. | 我怎么能拒绝自己这种经历呢 |
[21:06] | Maybe I’m more ready for parenthood than I thought. | 也许我比自己想象中要好呢 |
[21:09] | Hey, what are you guys doing here? | 嘿 你们怎么在这 |
[21:11] | Arleen! Are you fine? And this must be… | Arleen 你好吗 这肯定是 |
[21:14] | Yes, little Nathan. | 是的 小Nathan |
[21:19] | I’m so glad I ran into you. We both wanna thank you guys again. | 我真的很高兴遇见你们 我们俩都想再次谢谢你们 |
[21:23] | So would one of you like to hold him? | 你们谁想抱抱他吗 |
[21:27] | Yes, I would. | 是的 我想 |
[21:32] | Oh, he’s beautiful. | 噢 他太漂亮了 |
[21:36] | Yes, yes, why shouldn’t you cry? | 是的 是的 你没理由不哭啊 |
[21:40] | Everything’s so new to you… | 所有这一切对你来说都是新的 |
[21:42] | So much life to live… | 美好的生活等着你 |
[21:45] | – No, you’ve got his leg bent back. – Oh, God! | – 不是的 你把他的腿弄弯了 – 噢 天哪 |
[21:49] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[21:52] | Well, see you, guys. Say “Hi” To your dad for me. | 好了 再见 代我向你们的爸爸问好 |
[21:56] | – Perhaps I made the right decision. – I’d say so. Are you ready to go? | – 也许我之前决定是对的 – 我也这么觉得 走吧 |