时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:10] | Is it me or is the foam a tad dense today? | 是我多心了 还是今天的泡沫浓稠了一点 |
[00:13] | Like a dreary fog on a Scottish moor. | 就像苏格兰荒野上阴郁的雾气一样 |
[00:16] | Rather than accent, it overwhelms. | 本应点到为止 它却铺天盖地 |
[00:19] | Rather than flirt, it assaults. | 本应调调情即可 它却霸王硬上弓 |
[00:21] | Rather than watching the ball game, I have to listen to this. | 本应去看球赛 我却得听你废话 |
[00:27] | – Hey, you guys. – Hey, Roz. | – 你们好 – 你好 Roz |
[00:28] | – Like to join us? – Oh, yes. | – 一块坐吧 – 好呀 |
[00:30] | Frasier, listen, don’t forget your staff meeting tomorrow. | Frasier 听好 别忘了明天要开员工会议 |
[00:32] | It starts at– | 时间是 |
[00:35] | Well, I certainly hope his tailor | 真心希望他的裁缝 |
[00:36] | can fix the holes you just burnt in his jacket. | 能补好你炙热目光在他夹克上烧出的俩洞 |
[00:40] | They’re not in his jacket. | 那洞不在他的夹克上 |
[00:43] | – It starts tomorrow at 10. – Thank you. | – 时间是明早十点 – 谢谢 |
[00:45] | Hey, Marty, what are you doing here? | 嗨 Marty 你也来了 |
[00:46] | They’re dragging me out to buy some new clothes. | 他们硬拽我来 说是要给我买新衣服 |
[00:49] | We’re taking him to Rudolfo’s once-a-year sale. | 我们要带他去逛逛鲁道夫的年度大甩卖 |
[00:52] | It’s 50 percent off. The alterations are free. | 半价呢 还免费量身修改 |
[00:54] | Big deal. Butz Clothiers, they do that every day. | 这算什么 在Butz男装店 每天都这样 |
[00:56] | Yes, not to mention the convenience of | 对 更别提就餐多方便了 |
[00:58] | getting your “BigFoot” pizza right next door. | 隔壁就能吃到巨无霸披萨了 |
[01:01] | These guys think I have bad taste in clothes. | 这俩小子总觉得我不会买衣服 |
[01:03] | I like the way you dress. | 我喜欢你的穿衣风格 |
[01:04] | I Believe that’s what’s called the “Clincher.” Shall we go? | 你这话就是我们判断的”铁证” 咱们走吧 |
[01:08] | All right. Well, I’ll just hit the head, | 好吧 我去个卫生间 |
[01:10] | and we can get it over with. | 然后咱们速战速决吧 |
[01:12] | Dad, you could show a little more enthusiasm. | 老爸 你能积极点不 |
[01:13] | – Yeah. – Okay. | – 对啊 – 行 |
[01:15] | Gee, I can’t wait to hit the head, | 天哪 我等不及要去卫生间 |
[01:16] | and we can get it all over with! | 好赶快速战速决呢 |
[01:22] | Are you quite finished undressing him with your eyes? | 你用眼神把他扒光没 |
[01:25] | Please. I’m already looking for my stockings | 拜托 我已经在事后找长筒袜穿 |
[01:27] | and trying to remember where I parked my car. | 同时回想把车停哪儿了 |
[01:30] | You know Roz, I would have thought | Roz 其实我本来以为 |
[01:32] | that gentleman over there in the flannel shirt | 那边穿法兰绒衬衣的男士 |
[01:33] | would be more your type. | 才是你的菜 |
[01:35] | Him? Not a chance. | 凭他 再等一百年吧 |
[01:37] | See the way he’s slurping his orange juice? | 看见他怎么咂着嘴喝橙汁了吗 |
[01:39] | Sloppy kisser. | 吻技肯定极差 |
[01:41] | Now, you can tell right away the guy is no good in bed. | 现在你立马就能知道他床上功夫不行 |
[01:44] | He’s so cautious. | 他太小心翼翼的了 |
[01:45] | Look at the way he’s blowing on his coffee. | 瞧瞧他吹凉咖啡的德行 |
[01:56] | I wasn’t trying to cool it, I was simply blowing a foam hole. | 我不是要吹凉 只是想在泡沫上吹个洞 |
[02:00] | You don’t even wrinkle the sheets, do you? | 看来你连床单都睡不皱吧(性生活无能) |
[02:04] | Niles, that man across the street at the newsstand. | Niles 快看对面报刊亭边上的那个男人 |
[02:07] | Is that who I think it is? | 我么看错吧 |
[02:09] | He does look familiar. | 他看着眼熟 |
[02:10] | – It’s T.H. Houghton. – No! | – 那是T H Houghton – 不会吧 |
[02:12] | Just think back to the picture on the dust cover of | 回想一下书套上印的作者照片 |
[02:14] | his Time Flies Tomorrow | 就是他写的那本<时间飞逝向明天> |
[02:16] | a little older, grayer, | 再老一点 头发白点 |
[02:17] | Time Flies Tomorrow i read that in high school. | <明天飞逝向明天> 我高中读过 |
[02:19] | – What else did he write? – Nothing. | – 他还写过什么 – 没了 |
[02:21] | That’s the crux of his entire legend. | 这就是他之所以传奇的关键 |
[02:23] | The man published one masterpiece, | 他发表了一部巨著 |
[02:24] | and in the 30 years since, he’s become a virtual recluse. | 之后的30年间 他就销声匿迹了 |
[02:27] | – Oh, my God. It is T.H. Houghton. – Yes. | – 天哪 确实是T H Houghton – 是吧 |
[02:30] | We’re a stone’s throw away from | 我们只有一箭之遥 |
[02:31] | one of the giants of American literature. | 就能碰上美国文坛巨匠之一了 |
[02:33] | Not the way you throw. | 你射一箭可到不了 |
[02:36] | Oh, Niles, this is incredible. | 哦 Niles 太妙了 |
[02:38] | My God, the man’s entire life is shrouded in mystery, | 天呐 他的一生就是一个谜 |
[02:40] | yet there he is. | 而现在他就在眼前 |
[02:41] | I’ve always idolized him. | 我一直崇拜他 |
[02:43] | What I wouldn’t give to meet that man. | 为了能和他见面 让我干什么都愿意 |
[02:44] | Why don’t you go introduce yourself. | 那你就过去自我介绍一下呗 |
[02:46] | Oh, I can’t just walk up to a god like that. | 哦 我怎么能冒失地过去搭讪一个神人 |
[02:49] | Well, then find a subtler way. | 那你就含蓄点呗 |
[02:50] | In your vernacular, that would be what? | 您字典里的含蓄是什么意思 |
[02:52] | To slingshot your panties across the street? | 用弹弓把你的内裤打过去吗 |
[02:55] | – Foam blower. – All right, all right, you two. | – 吹泡沫的 – 行了 你们俩 |
[02:59] | Niles, she happens to be right. | Niles 这次她是对的 |
[03:01] | How often do you get an opportunity like this? | 这种机会千载难逢呀 |
[03:03] | – Come on. Let’s go. – All right. | – 咱们快去 – 那好吧 |
[03:06] | – Dad, come on, we’re going. – Why? What’s the rush? | – 快走 咱们出发 – 怎么了 急什么 |
[03:08] | – T.H. Houghton is across the street. – Who? | – T.H. Houghton在街对面 – 谁 |
[03:10] | – Come on, let’s– Let’s go! – Hey, guy with a cane here! | – 别问了 快走 – 我可拄着拐杖呢 |
[03:21] | Niles, I thought you said you saw Houghton come in here. | Niles 你不是说Houghton来这儿了吗 |
[03:24] | Well, I’m sorry if my tracking skills aren’t up to your standard. | 抱歉了哈 我的跟踪技术没达到你的要求 |
[03:27] | Prehaps instead of asking for a baby brother, | 也许你不应该问你弟弟 |
[03:28] | you should have asked for a German short-haired pointer. | 而应该问那个德国短毛指示犬 |
[03:32] | I did. | 我问的不就是么 |
[03:34] | Well, I’m sorry. | 好嘛 我道歉 |
[03:36] | He must still be out on the street. Let’s go. | 他肯定还在外面 咱们快走吧 |
[03:38] | I’m parking it. They got the Mariners on. | 我不去了 他们在播水手队的比赛 |
[03:40] | Dad, please, we can’t waste time. | 拜托老爸 我们在赶时间呢 |
[03:41] | – Let him be. He’s deadweight. – Right. | – 随他去吧 反正也是累赘 – 也对哈 |
[03:47] | – What’s the score? – Four to three, Mariners. | – 几比几了 – 4比3 水手队领先 |
[03:51] | Aw! | 嗷 |
[03:54] | How could he miss the cut-off, man? | 他怎么能没接住这个转传呢 |
[03:55] | Can you believe that man makes 7 million a year. | 真不敢相信他一年能挣七百万 |
[03:57] | – It’s crazy. – Yeah. | – 这个世界太疯狂 – 可不 |
[03:59] | See him scratching his butt? That’s about 5 grand right there. | 看他挠屁股了没 这么一下就值五千块 |
[04:03] | – Let me have a Ballantine’s. – Yeah, make it two. | – 给我来杯威士忌 – 我也是 |
[04:06] | Aw! | 咳 |
[04:11] | So that’s your favorite character? | 这就是你最喜欢的角色 |
[04:13] | – Really? – Yeah. | – 你确定 – 嗯 |
[04:14] | Yeah, I really like him. | 我真心喜欢他 |
[04:15] | You know, he is the kind of guy | 他就是那种 |
[04:16] | you can just sit and have a beer with. | 可以一起坐下喝啤酒的人 |
[04:18] | Well, I could see you saying that about Hoss, but Little Joe? | 你要这么说Hoss我能理解 但小Joe不是吧 |
[04:23] | That’s the great thing about Bonanza. Something for everyone. | Bonanza就是这么牛 总有一款角色适合你 |
[04:28] | Well, thank you, Mr. False Alarm. | 我谢你啊 谎报军情先生 |
[04:30] | “Oh, look, there he is, over at the yogurt store! | 快看 他在那儿 在酸奶店那儿 |
[04:32] | Oh, look, there he is, in the futon store! | 快看 他在那儿 在蒲团店那儿 |
[04:35] | Oh, look, there he is with Dad!” | 快看 他跟老爸在一块儿 |
[04:38] | And now he’s leaving. | 现在他要走了 |
[04:40] | I must tell him what an impact his book has made on my life. | 我必须得告诉他 他的书对我影响之深 |
[04:42] | Aren’t you afraid it’ll sound a bit unoriginal? | 你不觉得那会显得人云亦云吗 |
[04:44] | – Why? – ‘Cause I’m gonna say it first. | – 怎么 – 因为这话我会先说 |
[04:45] | – Excuse me, Mr. Houghton? – Yeah? | – 不好意思 Houghton先生 – 怎么 |
[04:47] | I just wanted to tell you that… | 我只想告诉您 |
[04:49] | My book changed your life. Swell. | 我的书改变了你的生活 万岁 |
[04:51] | – No, no, but I… – It changed mine too. Look, I’m sorry. | – 不不 但 – 它也改变了我的生活 抱歉 |
[04:54] | I don’t like to discuss my work. | 我不喜欢讨论我的作品 |
[04:59] | Well, that was humiliating. | 哇 太不给面子了 |
[05:01] | I’ve never felt so rejected in my life. | 我这辈子都没被这么打击过 |
[05:03] | Now, now, don’t take it so hard. | 唉 别太当一回事 |
[05:05] | Who was to know he was so sensitive? | 谁知道他这么敏感 |
[05:06] | Aren’t you Dr. Crane from the radio? | 你不是电台主持的Crane医生吗 |
[05:08] | Not now, haven’t got the time, sorry. | 别别 我现在没空 不好意思 |
[05:12] | Do you realize who you were just talking to? | 你知不知道刚刚跟你说话的是谁 |
[05:14] | – That was T.H. Houghton. – Yeah, I know. | – 那是T.H. Houghton – 我知道 |
[05:15] | Well, well, well, what did you two talk about? | 这个 那个 你们都说了些什么 |
[05:18] | Oh, I don’t know. This and that. | 我也记不得了 就随便扯了扯 |
[05:19] | Dad, virtually nothing is known about this man. | 老爸 外界对此人几乎一无所知 |
[05:23] | Can’t you give us something specific? | 你就不能给我们爆点料吗 |
[05:24] | Well, it was just guy stuff, you know. | 嗯 就是老爷们聊天呗 |
[05:26] | Baseball, TV shows, old war stories… | 棒球 电视剧 以前的战争故事 |
[05:29] | – He told war stories? – No, I did. | – 他讲了战争故事吗 – 没 我讲的 |
[05:30] | You know, about the time i made the stew and the platoon got sick. | 就是我做了炖菜 害的一个排的人都上吐下泻 |
[05:34] | Dad, how could you? | 老爸 你怎么能这样 |
[05:35] | What? He liked it. | 咋了 他很喜欢啊 |
[05:37] | He’s a nice guy. I think maybe I’ll buy one of his books. | 他真不错 没准我都要选本他的书买来看了 |
[05:40] | Not books, Dad. Book. | 不用选 爸 就一本 |
[05:43] | Book. | 一本 |
[05:44] | He wrote one book and never wrote again. | 他写了一本书 然后就封笔了 |
[05:48] | If only we’d arrived ten minutes earlier, | 要是咱俩早到十分钟就好了 |
[05:49] | we could’ve been talking to him. | 就能跟他说上话了 |
[05:50] | We could have explored that mammoth intellect. | 咱俩能好好深入了解那位智者了 |
[05:53] | Can you imagine the torture the man’s endured, | 无法想象这人背负了怎样的苦难 |
[05:55] | to peak at such an early age? | 才能年纪轻轻就达到了顶峰 |
[05:57] | Oh, my God, Frasier, look. It’s a doodle! | 我的神呐 Frasier 快看 一副涂鸦 |
[06:00] | Not just any doodle, that’s a Houghton doodle. | 这不是一般的涂鸦 这是Houghton的涂鸦 |
[06:01] | – It’s mine! – No, mine! | – 我的 – 做梦 我的 |
[06:03] | – It’s mine. – Dad, what do you care? | – 是我的 – 老爸 你添什么乱 |
[06:04] | No, I mean I drew it. | 不是 我是说这是我画的 |
[06:09] | That’s very touching. Here, Niles, this is for you. Bye-bye. | 画得真好 Niles 我让给你了 拜拜 |
[06:15] | I don’t know when I’ve enjoyed an exhibit more. | 我从未如此享受过一场展览 |
[06:17] | The artist’s choice to make that a still life monochrome | 作者选择用静物黑白画展现 |
[06:19] | was a stroke of genius. | 真是神来之笔 |
[06:21] | – It conveyed such despair. – Yes. | – 传达了如此的悲痛 – 可不是 |
[06:23] | It was so refreshing to see a sad peach. | 而展现出的悲伤的桃子也令人耳目一新 |
[06:27] | How about that curator? | 那个馆长如何 |
[06:28] | She was kind of a peach herself. | 她自己就是个桃子(女人) |
[06:30] | – No cubism there, I don’t think. – No, certainly not. | – 但看着一点也不立体主义 – 绝对的 |
[06:34] | – Hey, boys. – Oh, hi, Dad. | – 嗨 孩子们 – 嗨 老爸 |
[06:37] | Oh, Ted. Ted, I’d like you to meet my sons. | 哦 Ted Ted 这是我两儿子 |
[06:40] | This is Frasier and Niles. They’re big fans of yours. | Frasier和Niles 他们特喜欢你的书 |
[06:42] | – Hi, guys. – Mr. Houghton… | – 你们好 – Houghton先生 |
[06:44] | We… | 我们 |
[06:46] | Words can’t express… | 言语已经无法 |
[06:48] | I guess not. | 看来的确如此 |
[06:52] | Nice meeting you fellas. | 很高兴见到你们 |
[06:55] | Oh, my God, we missed him again! | 神呐 我们又错过他了 |
[06:58] | – What’s going on? – That’s odd. | – 怎么回事 – 真奇怪 |
[07:00] | So where are you two going? | 你们准备去哪儿呀 |
[07:03] | Well, Ted’s taking me out to this bratwurst place he knows. | 嗯 Ted带我去一家德式香肠店吃东西 |
[07:06] | Bratwurst? Yummy. My God, that’s our favorite. | 德式香肠 美味呀 我们最爱吃那个 |
[07:10] | Nice meeting you. | 好的 再见 |
[07:14] | – What’s wrong with this thing? – Well, it could be broken. | – 这东西怎么回事 – 可能坏了吧 |
[07:17] | Well, if you came in to the apartment, we’ll call the front desk– | 要不你们先回屋 我们给前台打电话 |
[07:19] | No! I’m sure it’ll work this time. | 不用 这次肯定能行 |
[07:28] | What the hell was he doing here? | 他怎么会来这儿 |
[07:32] | We might know if you hadn’t spent an hour | 我们本可以知道为啥 要是你没花一小时 |
[07:34] | pondering the despair of the peach. | 思索那个桃子的悲伤 |
[07:37] | This is from the man who spent 30 minutes | 现在你倒会说了 是谁花了半小时 |
[07:39] | looking at Woman with a Rectangular Head. | 盯着那个<方脑袋的女人>看的 |
[07:42] | Oh, was Mrs. Foster in the lobby again? | 哦 Foster夫人又跑大厅去了吗 |
[07:45] | No, Daphne. | 不是 Daphne |
[07:46] | Could you explain to me | 你倒是说说 |
[07:48] | just how T.H. Houghton ended up in my apartment? | T.H. Houghton是怎么跑到我家来的 |
[07:51] | Well, he’s only in town for a couple of days, | 哦 他就在城里呆几天 |
[07:53] | and he doesn’t know too many people, | 在这边他也不认得什么人 |
[07:55] | so he looked your father up, gave him a ring, | 所以就找到你父亲了 给他打了个电话 |
[07:58] | and Mr. Crane invited him over to watch the Mariners game. | Crane先生就邀请他过来看水手队的比赛 |
[08:02] | – He was here all afternoon? – Yes. | – 他一整个下午都在这儿 – 可不 |
[08:03] | Oh, it’s a shame you couldn’t be here, | 你不在真是太可惜了 |
[08:05] | because he told the most fascinating stories. | 他可会讲故事了 |
[08:09] | And, of course, he and your father are getting on like old chums. | 而且 他和你父亲一见如故 |
[08:12] | But the sweetest thing was how he took to Eddie. | 最有爱的是他特别喜欢Eddie |
[08:18] | He– He spent time with Eddie? | 他 他还跟Eddie玩了 |
[08:20] | Fed him his afternoon biscuit. | 一下午一直喂它吃饼干 |
[08:22] | – Will the madness never end! – Oh, now, now. | – 这个世界太疯狂 – 冷静 冷静 |
[08:24] | Let’s not give up hope. | 咱们还有希望 |
[08:25] | Maybe Dad’ll bring him back to the apartment after dinner. | 说不定他们吃完晚饭后还会回来 |
[08:28] | Oh, well, I doubt it. | 嗯 这可没准儿 |
[08:30] | They’ll probably run into J.D. Salinger and Salman Rushdie | 他们大概会碰见J.D. Salinger和Salman Rushdie |
[08:33] | and go out for margaritas. | 然后一起去喝一杯了 |
[08:37] | I tell you, Niles, these near misses, they’re just excruciating. | Niles 功败垂成 是最折磨人的 |
[08:41] | There you go, Mr. Houghton. You’re welcome. | 给您 Houghton先生 不客气 |
[08:46] | – Was that him? – Yes, he forgot his coat. | – 他回来了 – 嗯 忘拿外套了 |
[08:48] | Make way, Daphne! | 让开 Daphne |
[08:54] | We missed him again. | 又错过了 |
[09:00] | Don’t you dare gloat, you miserable little biscuit whore. | 你少得意 你个可悲的饼干小婊子 |
[09:17] | Thanks, Eddie. | 谢了 Eddie |
[09:31] | – Afternoon, Daphne. – Hello. | – 下午好 Daphne – 回来啦 |
[09:34] | Good dog. | 好狗狗 |
[09:37] | Oh, Dr. Crane, it’s a good thing you’re home. | 哦 Crane医生 你回来的可真巧 |
[09:41] | Mr. Houghton’s dropping by | 一会儿Houghton先生就要来了 |
[09:42] | to pick up your father for the Mariners game. | 他来接你父亲去看水手队的比赛 |
[09:44] | Are you serious? He’s coming back? | 真的假的 他一会就来吗 |
[09:45] | Yes, any minute. It’s a double-header. | 嗯 马上就到 今天是双重赛 |
[09:49] | – They play two games. – Oh, right. | – 就是连着两场比赛 – 原来如此 |
[09:54] | But this is– This is incredibly good fortune for me. | 但 这 这就是天上掉馅饼啊 |
[09:56] | I’ll finally get to spend some time alone with the man, | 我终于可以和心中偶像会面了 |
[09:58] | even just for a few minutes. | 虽然也就几分钟吧 |
[10:02] | Daphne, be a dear and stall Dad, will you. | Daphne 做做好事 拖住老爸一下 求你了 |
[10:04] | If he gives you any trouble, just hide his cane. | 他要是不听你的 你就把他拐杖藏起来 |
[10:08] | Niles! What fortuitous timing. | Niles 来得早不如来得巧 |
[10:11] | The wine shop called a moment ago. | 红酒店刚刚打电话来 |
[10:12] | They’re down to their last 2 cases of the ’82 Chambolle-Musigny. | 他们就剩最后两箱82年的香波慕西尼了 |
[10:15] | So why don’t you dash right down before somebody snaps it all up. | 你赶紧杀过去吧 要不就没了 |
[10:18] | Bless you, Frasier. Hold it. | 太感谢了 Frasier 等等 |
[10:24] | You know very well that in 1982, there was a drought in Bourgogne. | 你明明知道82年勃艮第地区遭遇大旱 |
[10:30] | The locals dubbed it the “Year of the Raisin.” | 当地人称之为”葡萄干之年” |
[10:36] | And that wine was never sold by the case, only by the bottle. | 那年的酒从没按箱卖过 都是按瓶卖的 |
[10:41] | T.H. Houghton is here, isn’t he? | T.H. Houghton在这儿 是不 |
[10:45] | – No. – Fine. Then you won’t mind if I just hang around for a while. | – 不是 – 那好啊 我多待会没问题吧 |
[10:50] | Oh, all right. He’s on his way. | 好吧 他一会儿就来 |
[10:51] | He and Dad are going to a baseball game. | 他要和老爸去看棒球赛 |
[10:54] | It’s a double-header. | 今天是双重赛 |
[10:56] | They play two games. | 就是连着两场比赛 |
[11:01] | Oh, hi, Niles. | Niles来啦 |
[11:02] | Oh, Dad, so I hear that Mr. Houghton is on his way over. | 老爸 我听说Houghton先生一会儿要来 |
[11:05] | Maybe we could all have lunch before you head off. | 要不咱们先吃个饭 你们再去看比赛 |
[11:07] | – That’s a splendid idea. – No, the game starts in 45 minutes. | – 好主意 – 不行 还剩45分钟了 |
[11:10] | Well, then perhaps you could come by after the game for a drink. | 那等比赛结束你们来一起喝一杯好了 |
[11:12] | No, sorry, that won’t work either. | 抱歉 这也办不到 |
[11:14] | He’s gotta go to his publisher’s, drop off his new book. | 他要去找出版商 把他的新书送过去 |
[11:19] | Houghton has a new book? | Houghton写了本新书 |
[11:20] | I’ve lost the feeling in my legs. | 我的腿失去知觉了 |
[11:27] | Well, did he say anything about it? | 他还说什么了 |
[11:29] | I mean, the characters, the setting? | 比如书里的人物 背景 |
[11:30] | – No, he just said it was a book. – Dad. | – 没说 就说是本新书 – 老爸 |
[11:33] | You have to skip the game. | 你们不能去看比赛了 |
[11:35] | It’s not just for our benefit. | 这不是光为了我俩 |
[11:36] | After all this baseball, | 看了这么多棒球 |
[11:37] | the man must be starved for intellectual stimulation. | 他肯定渴求一些精神交流 |
[11:39] | I know what you’re saying. | 我懂你的意思 |
[11:41] | That someone like that would prefer to spend time with you | 他那么高大上的人肯定更愿意和你一起 |
[11:43] | instead of some dumbbell like me. | 怎么会看上我这种笨人 |
[11:45] | Dad, you’re not dumb. You missed the point entirely. | 老爸 你不傻 你根本没听懂嘛 |
[11:49] | Let’s just say, for example, you came home one afternoon | 打个比方吧 要是有一天下午你回家 |
[11:51] | and I was sitting here discussing literature with, | 发现我正坐在这儿 和我聊文学的是 |
[11:53] | I don’t know, give me the name of a player. | 我也不知道 你说个棒球运动员的名字吧 |
[11:55] | – Darryl Strawberry. – No, a real one! | – Darryl Strawberry(亲爱的草莓) – 不是 来个真名 |
[11:59] | Frasier, the problem is you push too hard. | Frasier 你们太拿这当回事儿了 |
[12:01] | We just talk sports, have a few laughs. That’s all. | 我们就是聊体育 开玩笑 就这么简单 |
[12:05] | You know, I never ask him about his work. | 你看 我从来没问过他工作上的事 |
[12:07] | That’s probably why he told me about the book. | 说不定这就是他主动告诉我的原因 |
[12:14] | – Mr. Houghton, hello. – Hi, how you doing? | – Houghton先生 你好 – 你们好 |
[12:16] | – Hey, Ted, come on in. – Fine. | – Ted 快进来 – 好啊 |
[12:19] | So you two boys are off to the baseball game, huh? | 你们哥俩是要去看棒球赛吧 |
[12:21] | Double-header. | 双重赛 |
[12:23] | That’s two games. | 就是连着打两场比赛 |
[12:27] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[12:29] | Little-known fact about baseball. | 棒球有个不为人知的趣闻 |
[12:31] | The owner of the Boston Red socks | 波士顿红袜队的老板 |
[12:33] | sold Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees | 之所以把Babe Ruth卖给纽约扬基队 |
[12:36] | to finance a Broadway musical, No, No, Nanette. | 是为了拍一部百老汇音乐剧<不 不 娜妮特> |
[12:43] | – You ready, Marty? – Let’s go. | – Marty 咱们出发吧 – 好 |
[12:46] | Well, I really enjoyed chatting with you. | 那个 跟您聊天真开心 |
[12:48] | If you’d drop back by after the game, | 要是您看完比赛愿意回来的话 |
[12:50] | we could pick up where we left off. | 咱们就可以接着聊了 |
[12:53] | No, No, Nanette? | <不 不 娜妮特> |
[12:58] | I’m sorry, there were exactly two things | 抱歉了哈 只有两句话是 |
[13:01] | I could possibly add to a baseball conversation. | 我能在聊棒球的时候插得上嘴的 |
[13:03] | That and– | 刚刚那句和 |
[13:05] | No, just the one. | 不 只能插一句 |
[13:11] | – Frasier? – Yes. | – Frasier – 怎么了 |
[13:13] | Have you noticed how Houghton always | 你有没有注意到Houghton总是 |
[13:15] | carries a satchel with him wherever he goes? | 不管去哪儿都拎着个公文包 |
[13:16] | Well, actually, as a matter of fact, I have, yes. | 嗯 其实 我确实注意到了 |
[13:19] | Didn’t Dad mention that houghton was | 老爸不是说Houghton |
[13:21] | on his way to his publisher’s after the game with a new manuscript? | 看完比赛要去出版商那儿送新书吗 |
[13:24] | Yes. | 没错 |
[13:26] | Wouldn’t that be the very same satchel | 那那个公文包是不是 |
[13:27] | which is now resting under my head? | 现在就垫在我的脑袋下面 |
[13:31] | Oh, my God! | 我的神啊 |
[13:34] | – Wait! – Should we? | – 等等 – 可以吗 |
[13:36] | We shouldn’t. | 不可以 |
[13:37] | Could we live with ourselves if we did? | 要是看了 我们能苟活吗 |
[13:39] | Could we live with ourselves if we didn’t? | 要是不看 我们能苟活吗 |
[13:40] | – Could we live either way? – Oh, stop it, Niles! | – 横竖都是死啊 – 别闹了 Niles |
[13:44] | Oh, who are we kidding? All right. | 哎 别自欺欺人了 来吧 |
[13:46] | Careful, careful, careful. | 小心 小心 小心 |
[14:00] | “The Chameleon’s Song by T.H. Houghton.” | <变色龙之歌> 作者T.H. Houghton |
[14:07] | These are handwritten corrections. | 这都是手写的修改 |
[14:09] | Frasier, this is his original manuscript. | Frasier 这是初稿 |
[14:11] | Shame on you! | 不知廉耻的家伙 |
[14:15] | Going through someone else’s personal property. | 随便乱翻别人的私人物品 |
[14:19] | Well, it’s just plain wrong. | 错得离谱了 |
[14:21] | And I know your father wouldn’t approve. | 你父亲该多失望啊 |
[14:23] | Of course, I wouldn’t be here to tell him if I had the day off. | 不过 要是我今天休假也就看不到这一幕了 |
[14:26] | – Fine, go. – Oh, great. | – 行 你去吧 – 太好了 |
[14:32] | Of course, having a day off is pretty meaningless | 不过 休假也没啥意思 |
[14:36] | when you have no money to, you know, | 要是你没钱 你懂的 |
[14:38] | maybe go to lunch or do some shopping. | 去吃午饭啊 或者购物啊 |
[14:41] | Perhaps take in a show. Oh, thanks. | 要么去看戏 哦 谢啦 |
[14:48] | – All right, Niles, shall we? – Not yet. | – 好吧 Niles 咱们开始吧 – 等等 |
[14:51] | – The atmosphere has to be absolutely perfect. – Good point, yes. | – 气氛得完美无瑕 – 好主意 |
[14:54] | Let’s begin with the lighting. | 咱们先调调光 |
[14:56] | All right, just say when. | 好吧 好了就说一声 |
[14:59] | Warmer. | 太亮了 |
[15:02] | Warmer. | 太亮了 |
[15:04] | A little cooler. | 又有点暗了 |
[15:06] | A touch warmer. | 又有一点点亮了 |
[15:08] | A hair back. | 回调一点 |
[15:10] | No, no, just– No, a hair the other way. | 不 不 你 不 往回调一点 |
[15:13] | No, a touch warmer. | 不是 还是有点亮 |
[15:18] | – Perfect. – Good. | – 完美了 – 太好了 |
[15:23] | Excellent, excellent. | 好得很 好得很 |
[15:24] | What wine would most enhance the experience? | 哪种红酒最能助兴呢 |
[15:27] | No, Niles. Wine might dull our faculties. | 不行 Niles 红酒会让感官迟缓 |
[15:30] | Perhaps instead a slow-sipping cordial would be the proper garnish. | 也许可以细啜的甜酒才是助兴佳品 |
[15:35] | – Sherry. – Armagnac. | – 雪莉酒 – 雅邑白兰地 |
[15:38] | Oh, well, see? That’s why you’re the older brother. | 经典 你看 所以说你才是大哥 |
[15:52] | – What is it? – I don’t think you’re there yet. | – 怎么了 – 你还没看到那儿呢 |
[16:24] | Well, it’s a masterpiece. | 哦 这是部杰作呀 |
[16:27] | Eddie Eddie. | |
[16:29] | I never thought I’d utter these words, | 我以为我永远不会有机会说这句话 |
[16:31] | but it actually surpasses Time Flies Tomorrow. | 这本书比<时间飞逝向明天>更精彩 |
[16:36] | Eddie, please! | Eddie 老实点 |
[16:38] | We’re trying to savor the moment. | 我们还在慢慢品味呢 |
[16:52] | How was the game? | 比赛怎么样 |
[16:56] | Is that my manuscript? | 那是我的稿子吗 |
[16:57] | What the hell’s going on? | 这特么到底怎么回事 |
[16:58] | You went through my bag? | 你们翻了我的包 |
[17:00] | – That’s my personal property. – I don’t believe you two. | – 那是我的私人物品 – 难以置信 |
[17:04] | Mr. Houghton, we– We are terribly, terribly sorry. | Houghton先生 我们非常 非常抱歉 |
[17:08] | The temptation to read it was just too great. | 只是我们太想拜读你的新作了 |
[17:10] | Oh, what’s that supposed to mean? | 哦 你这话什么意思 |
[17:12] | You’re grown men, both of you, at least I thought you were. | 你们俩都是成年人了 年纪都活在狗身上了 |
[17:15] | You had no right to touch that. | 你有什么权利翻人家的东西 |
[17:17] | Ted, I’m sorry. I’m just so ashamed. | Ted 对不起 我没什么好说的了 |
[17:20] | – Now, Marty, it’s all right. – No, it’s not all right. | – Marty 没事 – 才不是 |
[17:22] | No, no, it’s okay, really. | 不 不 没关系 真的 |
[17:24] | Somebody had to read it first. | 总得有人第一个试读吧 |
[17:27] | So, what did you think? | 那你们觉得怎么样 |
[17:31] | – Of the book? – No, of my typing. | – 书吗 – 不是 我打字技术怎么样 |
[17:33] | Yes, of course, the book. | 当然是书怎么样了 |
[17:40] | It was great. | 太好看了 |
[17:42] | Wow. | 哇 |
[17:45] | Well, at least you liked it. I’m gonna have to be running. | 嗯 你们喜欢就好 我得走了 |
[17:49] | Are you sure? I was gonna make some coffee. | 你真要走 我正准备弄点咖啡呢 |
[17:50] | No, no, I got an appointment. Can I use the…? | 不用了 我跟人约好了 我能用下 |
[17:53] | – It’s right here. – Okay. | – 在那里 – 好的 |
[17:58] | Boy, I’ve had it with you guys. | 儿子 今天我可受够了 |
[18:00] | If you were Hoss and Little Joe, | 要是你俩是Hoss和小Joe |
[18:02] | Ben Cartwright would kick your sorry butts right off the Ponderosa! | Ben Cartwright肯定得踢爆你俩的屁股 |
[18:07] | Dad. | 老爸 |
[18:12] | Dad, we’re sorry. | 老爸 我们知道错了 |
[18:13] | Very sorry. | 我们很抱歉 |
[18:19] | He’s back on the Cartwrights again. | 他又提到Cartwright一家了 |
[18:22] | You know, someday we really should ask him | 咱们真该问问他 |
[18:23] | just who the hell they are. | 那些人到底是谁 |
[18:28] | You know, Niles, one thing just really bugs me. | Niles 有件事如鲠在喉 不吐不快 |
[18:32] | Houghton’s gonna leave here today thinking | Houghton现在一定以为 |
[18:33] | we’re just a couple of inarticulate simpletons. | 我们就是两个笨嘴笨舌的傻大个儿 |
[18:36] | What were those pithy comments we made about his masterpiece? | 咱们对他的著作都做了怎样差劲的评价啊 |
[18:38] | – “It was great.” – “Wow.” | – “太好看了” – “哇” |
[18:41] | Yes, we’ll go down in history | 咱们会遗臭万年 |
[18:42] | with the same boob who first read Hamlet, | 就像第一个读哈姆雷特的傻子 |
[18:44] | then told Shakespeare, “My goodness, what a parchment-turner!” | 告诉莎士比亚”天了噜 这羊皮纸好惊人” |
[18:49] | Well, it’s not too late. He hasn’t left yet. | 我们可以亡羊补牢啊 他还没走呢 |
[18:53] | Yes, yes, we could still say something to show him | 是啊 我们还有机会跟他显摆一下 |
[18:55] | that we appreciated the full complexity of his work. | 我们领悟到了他作品的庞大复杂 |
[19:00] | Mr. Houghton, you know, there is one further thing | Houghton先生 我还有其它几点 |
[19:03] | – I’d like to add about your book. – Yeah. | – 点评一下你的新书 – 好啊 |
[19:05] | Well, it’s the way you modulated into the second-person narrative | 您切换到第二人称叙述的方式 |
[19:08] | during the flashback scene. | 用于倒叙的部分 |
[19:10] | Frankly, beggars anything Faulkner attempted. | 绝对让Faulkner相形见绌 |
[19:12] | Really? That’s very flattering. | 是吗 这倒是令人受宠若惊 |
[19:15] | Oh, wait, I have one too. | 等等 我也想加一句 |
[19:18] | The way you so skillfully mirrored | 你巧妙借鉴 |
[19:21] | the structure of Dante’s Divine Comedy was inspired. | 但丁<神曲>的写作技巧令人惊叹 |
[19:23] | Really? | 真的 |
[19:24] | Yes, from the inferno of the bordello– | 可不 从象征地狱的妓院 |
[19:25] | Which, we noticed, had exactly nine rooms. | 我们发现妓院正好有9间房(对应9层地狱) |
[19:28] | –to the purgatory of the assembly line, | 到象征炼狱的流水线 |
[19:31] | and finally to the paradise of the farm. | 以及最后象征天堂的农场 |
[19:36] | You both saw that? | 你们俩都这么想 |
[19:37] | Oh, it practically jumped off the page. | 嗯 一切都跃然纸上 |
[19:39] | Well, that’s very perceptive of you. | 你们倒是洞察力很强啊 |
[19:41] | Well, thank you. I guess it’s our turn to be flattered. | 谢谢您 这次是我们受宠若惊了 |
[19:44] | You’re absolutely right. | 你们说得对呀 |
[19:47] | This whole book is crap. | 这本书就是一坨屎 |
[19:49] | Beg your pardon? | 什么 |
[19:51] | How could I be so blind? | 我怎么能没发现呢 |
[19:52] | I lifted the entire structure from Dante! | 我根本是照抄但丁的故事 |
[19:56] | – You mean you weren’t going for that? – Of course not! | – 您是说这不是您的本意 – 当然不是 |
[19:59] | This confirms my worst fear. | 怕什么来什么 |
[20:01] | I have nothing original left to say. | 我再也写不出来了 |
[20:04] | I’m an empty shell. | 我就是个空壳 |
[20:05] | I was a fool to think I had a second book in me! | 我居然傻不拉几地以能出第二本书 |
[20:08] | “The winters were harsh on the farm.” | “农场的冬天刺骨难熬” |
[20:11] | Well, here’s something to warm them up! | 正好 给它们取取暖 |
[20:14] | What’s going on here? | 怎么回事 |
[20:16] | You’re both right. | 你们说得对 |
[20:17] | I’m a talentless hack who got lucky once. | 我就是个撞了次大运的无用傻蛋 |
[20:19] | Dad, we didn’t say that! | 老爸 我们可没这么说 |
[20:20] | You’re not listening to these two, are you? | 你不会是听了这俩人胡扯吧 |
[20:22] | Look at this trash! It won’t even burn! | 这垃圾 烧都烧不起来 |
[20:24] | Oh no. It’s a fireplace, you see. It’s not well ventilated. | 哦 不 这只是壁炉 通风不好烧不起来 |
[20:26] | This doesn’t belong in a fireplace. | 这垃圾不该葬身火炉 |
[20:29] | It belongs in the gutter, with the rest of society’s garbage! | 应该和社会垃圾一起 丢到臭水沟里去 |
[20:33] | – Wait. No, no– – Ted, don’t do that! | – 等等 不 不要 – Ted 不要啊 |
[20:35] | – Ted, no! Don’t do it! – No, Mr. Houghton– | – Ted 不 快停下 – 不 Houghton先生 |
[20:44] | I want to thank you two. | 我想谢谢你们 |
[20:46] | If I had published that book, | 要是我真把这书出版了 |
[20:47] | my reputation would have been destroyed. | 我的名誉就算完了 |
[20:50] | At least now I’m left with a shred of dignity. | 起码现在我还留有一丝尊严 |
[20:56] | No. | 别 |
[20:58] | Happy? | 高兴了吧 |
[21:00] | Hey, Ted, wait up! | 嗨 Ted 等等我 |
[21:10] | Well, we’ve destroyed a man’s life. | 我们把他给毁了 |
[21:14] | Not to mention depriving future generations of a work of art. | 而且后世再也看不到这部巨著了 |
[21:19] | Yes, well, on the other hand, had he actually published it, | 不过 换个角度想 要是他真出版了这书 |
[21:21] | the critics surely would’ve noticed that Dante parallel. | 那些评论家肯定也会发现但丁的影子 |
[21:26] | If he felt bad hearing from us, | 要是我们说他都受不了 |
[21:27] | imagine how he would’ve felt reading it in The NY Review of Books. | 想想他读纽约书评得气成啥样儿吧 |
[21:30] | Oh, God, yes. Given his fragile ego, | 太对了 以他这么高傲的人 |
[21:32] | my God, he would’ve been completely devastated. | 天呐 他一定会一蹶不振的 |
[21:34] | Who knows what he might have done. | 谁知道他能做出什么事来 |
[21:38] | Do you know, Niles, | 知道吗 Niles |
[21:40] | we saved that man’s life. | 我们救了他的命 |
[21:43] | Yes, I think you’re right. | 嗯 你说得在理 |
[21:47] | – On the other hand– – Don’t go there. | – 但是 再换个角度 – 别换了 |
[21:53] | See, that’s why you’re the older brother. | 看了吧 所以说你是大哥 |