时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:08] | Lillian, the next time your perfectionist tendencies | Lillian 下次你再被完美主义 |
[00:10] | drive you to distraction, just remember this quotation | 弄得心烦意乱的时候 记住这句话 |
[00:14] | from Henry James: | Henry James说的 |
[00:16] | “Excellence does not require perfection.” | “得过且过无需精益求精” |
[00:19] | That’s very helpful. Thank you. | 很有用 谢谢 |
[00:22] | Or is it “Demand”? | 还是”须要” |
[00:23] | Hmm, require, demand. Excellence does not require perfection. | 嗯 需要 须要 得过且过无需精益求精 |
[00:26] | Excellence does not demand perfection. | 得过且过无须精益求精 |
[00:28] | Aren’t they the same thing? | 两者有什么不一样吗 |
[00:29] | Of course not, Roz, shush. | 当然不一样 Roz 闭嘴 |
[00:31] | Excellence, demand. Require, demand. Require. | 完美 须要 需要 须要 需要 |
[00:33] | – Oh! Or is it “Mandate”? – I really have to go now. | – 噢 还是”必要” – 我真的要挂了 |
[00:37] | Oh, well, doesn’t really matter anyway, does it? | 好吧 反正也不重要 对吧 |
[00:41] | Ha, ha, meantime, Seattle, this is Dr. Frasier Crane | 与此同时 西雅图 我是Frasier Crane医生 |
[00:43] | wishing you good day… Oh, | 祝您诸事顺利 |
[00:45] | it’s… It’s “Require.” It is “Require.” | 是 是”需要” “是需要” |
[00:47] | Ha, ha, and good mental health. | 哈哈 并祝您身心健康 |
[00:52] | – Frasier. – Yeah? | – Frasier – 在 |
[00:54] | Would you please give this to Freddie for me? | 你能替我把这个交给Freddie吗 |
[00:57] | It’s for his spelling bee tomorrow. | 为他明天的拼字比赛准备的 |
[00:59] | Roz, it’s not a spelling bee, it’s the national championship. | Roz 可不是简单的拼字比赛 是全国总决赛 |
[01:03] | Oh. Ew, when is Lilith coming in? | 噢 Lilith什么时候来 |
[01:05] | Well, actually, she’s not coming in. | 好吧 其实 她不会来 |
[01:07] | She’ll be watching the competition from home. | 她会在家看比赛 |
[01:09] | Her victory dance at state finals | 她在州级决赛上跳了段胜利之舞 |
[01:10] | earned her a long overdue suspension. | 就被禁止入场了 |
[01:13] | So, what is this anyway? | 这是什么玩意儿 |
[01:15] | It’s a flattened penny. I found it at the railroad tracks once | 一枚压扁的硬币 我有次在铁轨上捡到的 |
[01:18] | when I was going through a really bad time, | 当时我诸事不顺 |
[01:21] | but as soon as I picked it up, started getting lucky. | 但当我一捡起来 就时来运转了 |
[01:24] | Oh, so that’s where it all started. Hmm. | 所以一切是这么开始的啊 |
[01:29] | No. | 不是 |
[01:30] | Why are you turning a nice gesture into something dirty? | 为什么你要把我的一番好意讲得那么龌蹉 |
[01:33] | I’m sorry, Roz. I know it didn’t bring you that kind of luck. | 抱歉 Roz 我知道它没带给你那方面的好运 |
[01:36] | – Thank you. – That would be one tired penny. | – 谢谢 – 不然那枚硬币要累死了 |
[01:45] | Eddie Crane from Seattle, your word is “Woof.” | 来自西雅图的Eddie Crane 你的单词是”狼” |
[01:56] | W-o-o-f W-o-o-f. | |
[02:02] | Very good. | 很好 |
[02:04] | Frederick Crane from Massachusetts, | 来自马塞诸塞州的Frederick Crane |
[02:06] | your word is “Onomatopoeia.” | 你的单词是”拟声” |
[02:10] | Wrong. | 错 |
[02:13] | Where are your knees? I wanna see spelling knees. | 你的膝盖呢 我要看见拼字比赛专用膝盖 |
[02:15] | Oh, yeah, right. | 哦 对 没错 |
[02:16] | Last thing you wanna do | 你绝对不想 |
[02:17] | is pass out on stage because of locked knees. | 因为膝盖锁死而在台上晕倒 |
[02:20] | I know. Allison Sharf, the Frisco Fainter. | 我知道 Allison Sharf 弗里斯科眩晕者 |
[02:25] | She went down like a sack of hammers. | 她叮铃哐啷地倒下了 |
[02:29] | All right, now, | 好的 现在 |
[02:29] | go to the hallway mirror and look at your form. | 你去照照走廊里的镜子 好好看看你的站姿 |
[02:35] | Aren’t you two going a little overboard with this? | 你俩对这事是不是太上心了 |
[02:38] | The drills, the stance, the spelling diet. | 模拟演练 站姿训练 拼字食谱 |
[02:44] | Dad, Freddie really wants to win this competition. | 爸爸 Freddie真的很想赢下这场比赛 |
[02:46] | I’m doing my best to help him. | 我要竭尽全力帮助他 |
[02:48] | Well, you shouldn’t overtrain him. | 但你们也不应该练过头呀 |
[02:49] | He needs to have some fun. | 他应该找点乐子 |
[02:51] | I told him he could bring his clarinet. | 我允许他带单簧管了 |
[02:55] | All right, I’ll talk to him. | 好吧 我会和他谈谈的 |
[02:57] | Thanks, Dad. I think I got my stance down now. | 谢谢 爸爸 我想我知道怎么站了 |
[03:00] | Good boy. | 好孩子 |
[03:01] | Frederick, have a seat for a minute. Something I wanna tell you. | Frederick 请坐 我有件事要和你说 |
[03:08] | Listen, | 听着 |
[03:10] | I don’t want you | 我不希望你 |
[03:10] | to get consumed by this spelling-bee thing, all right? | 一门心思扑在拼字比赛上 好吗 |
[03:15] | It’s not important if you’re a good speller | 你是拼字能手还是拼字高手 |
[03:17] | or the best speller. | 并不重要 |
[03:20] | The important thing is that you have fun. | 重要的是你玩的开心 |
[03:22] | – Okay? – Okay, Dad. | – 好吗 – 好的 爸爸 |
[03:25] | – Know what’d be really fun? – What’s that? | – 你知道怎样能让我开心吗 – 怎样 |
[03:27] | – Kicking butt in the spelling bee. – Ha, ha. | – 在拼字比赛上大展拳脚 – 哈哈 |
[03:30] | – Oh, Niles, Daph. – Hello, all. | – 噢 Niles Daph – 各位好 |
[03:32] | Listen, I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news. | 听着 我恐怕有个坏消息 |
[03:34] | I could only get two tickets for the spelling-bee competition tomorrow. | 我只能搞到两张明天拼字比赛决赛的门票 |
[03:38] | Oh, that’s a shame. But we’ll be there in spirit, ha, ha. | 噢 真遗憾 但我们的精神与你同在 哈哈 |
[03:42] | It’s probably just as well, | 这样也挺好的 |
[03:43] | considering how emotional I get | 考虑到我一看到孩子们比赛 |
[03:44] | watching children compete. | 就会变得多么情绪化 |
[03:46] | Keep thinking how much it means to them. | 一直在想这对他们来说意味着什么 |
[03:48] | Like the little girl who studies over candlelight | 就像一个在烛光下苦读的女孩 |
[03:51] | while her father’s down at local pub, | 而她的爸爸却在当地酒馆 |
[03:52] | drinking away the money for the light bill, ha, ha. | 喝光了用来付电费的钱 哈哈 |
[03:56] | Or the little girl on the school bus | 也像坐在校车上的女孩 |
[03:57] | who pretends not to see her father | 假装看不见她的爸爸 |
[03:59] | waving at her from the pub. | 正在当地酒馆和她挥手 |
[04:02] | Then there’s the little girl who thinks that by doing well, | 也像一个以为只要好好表现 |
[04:05] | she can grow up, purchase the local pub | 长大后就能买下当地酒馆 |
[04:07] | and turn it into a circus | 再改造成马戏城 |
[04:08] | so her father can keep his promise. | 这样他的爸爸就能信守承诺的小姑娘 |
[04:13] | We had a little wine at lunch. | 我俩午饭时喝了点酒 |
[04:16] | Don’t worry about the tickets. | 别担心票子的事 |
[04:18] | Uh, while I would have gone to support Freddie, | 虽然我很乐意到现场支持Freddie |
[04:19] | I have to admit, I wasn’t looking forward | 但我必须承认 我一点也不想 |
[04:21] | – to being back in that environment. – Oh. | – 重回那里 – 哦 |
[04:24] | Don’t get sidetracked by all the glitz and glamour of the bee. | 别被比赛的浮华和光芒分心 |
[04:30] | Spelling well is its own reward. | 好好拼字就是最好的奖励 |
[04:37] | What was that about? | 刚刚那一出是怎么回事 |
[04:39] | Well, your Uncle Niles has a painful history with spelling bees. | 你叔叔Niles和拼字比赛有一段痛苦的过往 |
[04:43] | – Really? Was he any good? – Ah, one of the best to ever compete. | – 真的吗 他厉害吗 – 所有参赛者中的佼佼者之一 |
[04:47] | Better than you, Dad? | 比你还厉害吗 爸爸 |
[04:49] | Son, | 儿子 |
[04:51] | as good as I was, my spelling couldn’t compare with Niles’. | 厉害如我 也无法和Niles相提并论 |
[04:57] | He was right up there | 他就站在那里 |
[04:58] | with the likes of William Kerek from Akron | 面对着来自阿克伦城的William Kerek |
[05:03] | and that Peterson girl from Omaha. | 来自奥马哈的叫Peterson的姑娘 |
[05:07] | Except your uncle was even younger. | 而且你叔叔年纪更小 |
[05:10] | Some people thought he wasn’t ready, that it was a mistake | 有些人说他没有准备好 |
[05:13] | to bring him up to the show | 还说带一个小学刚毕业的孩子 |
[05:15] | right out of elementary school, | 去参加比赛是个错误的决定 |
[05:16] | but he made it all the way to the last word. | 但他一路杀到决胜局 |
[05:22] | What happened? | 后来呢 |
[05:25] | He didn’t even try to spell it. | 他压根没打算拼写 |
[05:28] | He just stood there for a moment | 他就在那儿站了一会儿 |
[05:31] | and turned and walked off-stage. | 转身下台了 |
[05:35] | He was immediately disqualified and he never competed again. | 他立马被取消比赛资格 从此以后再也不比赛了 |
[05:39] | Never? | 再也没有过 |
[05:40] | Sure, he’d spell now and again, | 当然 他现在偶尔也会拼写 |
[05:46] | but only to help you out, and you had to really need it, | 但都是帮帮忙而已 不到万不得已是不会出手的 |
[05:49] | because he could spot a setup a mile away. | 十米开外他就能识别出是不是陷阱了 |
[05:52] | Wow, sounds to me like he choked. | 听起来像他卡壳了 |
[05:54] | Choked? | 卡壳了 |
[05:56] | Or was he the victim of an elaborate conspiracy? | 还是一场精心策划阴谋诡计的受害者 |
[06:01] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[06:03] | Oh, I thought I heard him coming down the hall. He choked. | 噢 我以为他下楼了 他是卡壳了 |
[06:10] | Logorrhea. Um, can I have a definition? | 多语症 呃 能告诉我是什么意思嘛 |
[06:14] | Uh-oh. Always a bad sign. | 啊噢 不是个好兆头 |
[06:15] | Excessive use of words. | 话说得太多 |
[06:18] | L-O-G-O-R-H-E-A. Logorrhea. | L-O-G-O-R-H-E-A 多语症 |
[06:24] | I’m sorry. That’s incorrect. | 抱歉 错误 |
[06:26] | So long, homeschool. | 再见啦 自学的 |
[06:29] | And that completes the tenth round. | 刚刚结束了第十轮比赛 |
[06:31] | We’ll begin round 11 of the National Spelling Championship | 马上进入全国拼写比赛第十一轮比赛的较量 |
[06:34] | after a five-minute intermission. | 稍事休息五分钟 |
[06:37] | Freddie. You’re doing great, son, great. | Freddie 你很棒 儿子 很棒 |
[06:39] | You’ve got it made, | 你一定会赢的 |
[06:40] | especially since that Asian kid was eliminated. | 尤其是那个亚洲小孩被淘汰了 |
[06:42] | – They’re the ones you have to watch. – Dad, don’t stereotype. | – 他们才是你要留心的 – 爸爸 别搞这些成见 |
[06:46] | Not even a positive one? | 夸他们好都不行吗 |
[06:48] | Oh, jeez, what’s happening in this country? | 哦天 这个国家怎么了 |
[06:51] | Well… | 好吧 |
[06:52] | – Hi, Freddie. – Hi, Amanda. | – 嗨 Freddie – 嗨 Amanda |
[06:58] | Don’t let her distract you with her wiles, son. | 别让她的计谋得逞 儿子 |
[07:03] | There’ll be plenty of women once you win this thing, all right? | 只要你赢下比赛 女人有的是 对吧 |
[07:06] | You were a little wobbly on that last word. | 你拼的最后一个词时有点摇摆不定 |
[07:08] | Just remember, when the root word is Greek, | 记着 只要是希腊词根的词 |
[07:10] | the “Uh” Sound is made with the letter Y. | 发”呃”音的是字母Y |
[07:14] | So far, all the sneaky ones have had Greek roots. | 迄今为止 所有偏门的词汇都是都是希腊词根 |
[07:16] | Oh, so it’s okay for you to stereotype. | 喔 你就可以带有成见 |
[07:18] | Oh. | 噢 |
[07:20] | Dad, we’ve gone over this a million times. I got it. | 爸爸 我们已经演练过无数遍了 我可以的 |
[07:23] | – All right. – Where’d you get the soda? | – 好吧 – 饮料从哪里拿的 |
[07:24] | Oh, come on, I’ll show you. | 来吧 我带你去 |
[07:27] | – Hey, hi there. John Clayton. – Oh, hi. | – 嘿 你好啊 我是John Clayton – 哦 嗨 |
[07:30] | – My son is one of the finalists, ha, ha. – Oh, nice to meet you. | – 我儿子是决赛选手之一 – 噢 很高兴认识你 |
[07:33] | – Frasier Crane. I’m Frederick’s dad. – Yeah. | – Frasier Crane Frederick的爸爸 – 噢 |
[07:36] | – You gotta great little speller there. – Aw, yeah, you too. | – 你儿子很会拼写啊 – 对啊 你儿子也是 |
[07:39] | Yeah, first year I take it? | 我猜第一次参赛吧 |
[07:41] | Look, let me give you a little advice. | 听着 给你点小建议 |
[07:42] | Watch out for some of the parents, they can be kind of cutthroat. | 留心某些家长 他们为了赢可是会不惜一切代价的 |
[07:46] | Oh, well, thanks for the tip. | 哦 好的 谢谢提醒 |
[07:47] | Yeah, no problem. So you and Freddie, | 不用谢 所以 你和Freddie |
[07:49] | you working all the usual things: Roots, suffixes, prefixes? | 你们练的是寻常套路吗 词根 后缀 前缀 |
[07:52] | – Yes, yes, all of that. – Good, good. | – 是的 是的 那些都练 – 不错 不错 |
[07:55] | How about attitude, breathing, endurance? | 那有没有练态度 呼吸 耐力 |
[07:57] | – Sure, sure. – Yeah. | – 当然 当然 – 恩 |
[07:58] | – Endurance? – Excuse me. | – 耐力 – 再见 |
[08:03] | Betsy, the Crane kid’s got no legs. | Betsy Crane家的孩子输定了 |
[08:07] | All right, we’re ready to resume. | 好了 现在比赛继续 |
[08:11] | Amanda Abrams Amanda Abrams. | |
[08:13] | Amanda, your word is “Milieu.” | Amanda 你的单词是”环境” |
[08:17] | Milieu. M-l-L-L-l-E-U. Milieu. | 环境 M-l-L-L-l-E-U 环境 |
[08:28] | Won’t be long now. | 快了快了 |
[08:34] | Syllepsis. S-Y-L-L-E-P-S-l-S. Syllepsis. | 一语双叙法 S-Y-L-L-E-P-S-l-S 一语双叙法 |
[08:41] | Warren Clayton, resipiscence. | Warren Clayton 回忆 |
[08:44] | R-E-C-l-P-l-S-C-E-N-C-E. Resipiscence. | R-E-C-l-P-l-S-C-E-N-C-E 回忆 |
[08:51] | I’m sorry, that’s incorrect. | 抱歉 错误 |
[08:54] | If Frederick Crane gets the next word | 如果Frederick Crane能答对最后一个单词 |
[08:56] | he will be the national champion. | 他就是全国冠军了 |
[08:59] | Frederick, your word is “Hermeneutic.” | Frederick 你的单词是”解释的” |
[09:05] | Um, may I have a definition? | 呃 能告诉我是什么意思吗 |
[09:09] | Interpretive or explanatory. | 解释的或说明的 |
[09:12] | Hermeneutic. | 解释的 |
[09:13] | H-E-R-M-E-N-E-U-T-l-C. Hermeneutic. | H-E-R-M-E-N-E-U-T-l-C 解释的 |
[09:20] | We have a new national champion. | 新一年的全国冠军诞生了 |
[09:22] | – Frederick Crane. – Wonderful. | – Frederick Crane – 太棒了 |
[09:25] | So wonderful, ha, ha. | 太棒了 哈哈 |
[09:27] | Congratulations, son. | 恭喜你 孩子 |
[09:38] | When you were spelling that last word, | 当你拼出最后一个词的时候 |
[09:39] | I thought I was gonna have a heart attack. | 我以为我的心脏病要犯了 |
[09:41] | – Weren’t you scared? – A little, but then I relaxed. | – 你不害怕吗 – 有一点 但后来就放松了 |
[09:44] | That is your spelling stance working for you. | 拼字专用站姿起作用了 |
[09:49] | Bend at the knees, spell with ease. | 弯一弯双膝 拼字不费力 |
[09:53] | Well, this calls for a toast. | 好 值得喝一杯 |
[09:55] | Is it all right if Freddie has a little | Freddie可以来一点 |
[09:57] | C-H-A-M-P-A-G-N-E? | C-H-A-M-P-A-G-N-E(香槟)吗 |
[09:58] | Daphne, he’s the best speller in the country. | Daphne 他是全国拼字冠军 |
[10:01] | – So I should get the good stuff. – Yes, ha, ha. | – 所以应该来点好的 – 是的 哈哈 |
[10:04] | You should be very proud of your accomplishment, Freddie. | 你应该为自己感到自豪 Freddie |
[10:07] | Just keep it in perspective. | 但也要保持清醒 |
[10:09] | And don’t forget the 26 little friends who got you here. | 还有别忘了帮你拿到冠军的26个小伙伴哦 |
[10:14] | Gather round, everybody. | 快过来 各位 |
[10:16] | Almost time for ESPN to air Freddie’s interview. | 娱乐体育频道马上要播放Freddie的采访片段了 |
[10:19] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[10:24] | You know, I have no idea where ESPN is. Uh… | 呃 我不知道娱乐体育频道是哪个台 |
[10:28] | Thanks, Dad. | 谢了 爸爸 |
[10:29] | I told you that penny would bring him good luck. | 我跟你说过那枚硬币会给他带来好运的 |
[10:31] | Oh, well, actually, Roz, I never even gave it to him. | 其实 Roz 我没把硬币给他 |
[10:33] | You see, with all of Freddie’s hard work and dedication, | 你看 Freddie刻苦努力 专心致志 |
[10:37] | inspired coaching, | 又有我的英明教导 |
[10:38] | he had no need for your superstitious talisman. | 他不需要你的幸运符 |
[10:43] | Just a gesture. | 一点心意而已 |
[10:46] | I mean, I found it at the railroad tracks, | 我是说 这是我在铁轨上捡到的 |
[10:47] | not in some enchanted wood. | 又不是在魔法森林里捡到的 |
[10:53] | Oh, well, what a surprise. Please, uh, come in. | 噢 好一个惊喜 请进 |
[10:56] | Everyone, this is Dr. Bernard Gadston from the spelling bee. | 各位 这是拼字比赛的Bernard Gadston博士 |
[11:00] | Oh, hi, doc. | 噢 博士好 |
[11:01] | It’s lovely of you to join us in our little celebration. | 你能来参加我们的欢庆会真的太好了 |
[11:03] | Can I get you some refreshment? | 要吃点什么吗 |
[11:04] | Unfortunately, this is not a pleasure visit. | 很遗憾 我不是来庆祝的 |
[11:07] | I must inform you that there has been an accusation of cheating. | 我必须要告诉你们有人控告比赛中存在作弊行为 |
[11:10] | Not the Asian kid. | 不是那个亚洲孩子 |
[11:14] | What? I said not the Asian kid. | 什么 我说不是那个亚洲孩子 |
[11:16] | Would somebody tell me the rules? | 有人告诉我到底该怎么说吗 |
[11:18] | Well, whoever the culprit is, uh, | 好吧 无论是谁作弊 |
[11:20] | we have no wish to soil this noble event | 我们都不希望有人玷污这场神圣的比赛 |
[11:23] | by filing a formal protest. | 而且会提交正式抗议 |
[11:25] | We’re certainly happy with the way things turned out. | 尽管我们对比赛的结果很满意 |
[11:27] | I’m afraid it’s Frederick who has been accused of cheating. | 恐怕被控告作弊的是Frederick |
[11:30] | What? | 什么 |
[11:33] | I don’t know what kind of sick joke you’re playing | 我不知道你在开什么变态玩笑 |
[11:36] | but my son is no cheater. | 但我儿子绝不是会作弊的人 |
[11:37] | I was there. I didn’t see anything. | 我也在现场 我什么都没看见 |
[11:39] | Well, we have evidence to the contrary. | 好吧 但我们掌握了相反证据 |
[11:41] | Mr. And Mrs. Clayton noticed an anomaly on the tape | Clayton夫妇在逼Warren看录像带的时候 |
[11:44] | while they were making Warren watch it. | 发现了一点蹊跷之处 |
[11:49] | What sort of an anomaly? | 什么蹊跷 |
[11:52] | You were clearly mouthing the letters | 很明显你在Frederick拼最后一个单词的时候 |
[11:54] | as Frederick spelled the last word, Dr. Crane. | 做口型提醒啊 Crane医生 |
[11:56] | – I did no such thing. – We have it on the tape. | – 我没有做过这种事 – 都被录下来了 |
[12:00] | Well, if I did, it certainly wasn’t a conscious act. | 好吧 就算我做了 那也是无心之举 |
[12:03] | It was like singing along at a concert. | 就像在音乐会上跟唱一样 |
[12:05] | You know, I remember being admonished once by the ushers | 你懂的 我还记得有一次被领座员责骂过 |
[12:07] | for joining in a particularly intense performance | 因为我在<大地之歌>的 |
[12:09] | of “Das Lied von der Erde.” | 高潮部分跟唱 |
[12:13] | But I wasn’t even looking at him. | 但我根本没看他啊 |
[12:15] | Let’s not make this any more painful than it already is. | 那就不要再让这件事更加复杂化了 |
[12:17] | The committee has reviewed the tape and | 委员会已经审阅了录像带 |
[12:18] | decided to award the trophy Warren Clayton. | 并决定将冠军授予Warren Clayton |
[12:21] | – What? You can’t do that. – This stinks. | – 什么 你不可以这么做 – 这太恶心了 |
[12:24] | I’m sure you’d like to avoid embarrassment as much as we would, | 我想你们应该和我们一样 尽力避免丑闻 |
[12:27] | so we’ll just say this was all | 所以我们将对外宣称 |
[12:28] | due to a technicality. | 一切都是由于一个技术性失误 |
[12:29] | That way Frederick can keep his regional title | 这样的话 Frederick依旧是地区赛冠军 |
[12:32] | and attend the banquet tomorrow night for the finalists. | 也能来参加明晚为决赛选手准备的晚宴 |
[12:34] | This isn’t fair. | 这不公平 |
[12:36] | I’m sorry, son. | 抱歉 孩子 |
[12:39] | I hope I’ll see you at the dinner. | 我希望你能出席晚宴 |
[12:45] | Thanks a lot, Dad. | 谢谢了 老爸 |
[12:53] | Should’ve given him the penny. | 应该把硬币给他吧 |
[13:02] | Great news. | 好消息 |
[13:03] | I have just spoken with a lawyer who believes | 我刚和律师谈了一下 他说我们可以提起诉讼 |
[13:05] | we have a case against the spelling-bee officials. Isn’t that great? | 状告拼字比赛工作人员 是不是很棒 |
[13:14] | Frederick Frederick, | |
[13:16] | look, I know how upset you are. | 听着 我知道你很失落 |
[13:22] | I’m so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[13:27] | Frederick, aren’t you gonna say something? | Frederick 你不打算说些什么吗 |
[13:30] | – Talked to Mom today. – You’re a bigger man than I am. | – 我今天和妈妈打了电话 – 那你比我心大 |
[13:35] | That’s what she said. | 她也是这么说的 |
[13:43] | I’ve really done it this time, haven’t I? | 这次我真的完蛋了 对吧 |
[13:46] | I feel terrible. | 我感觉很糟 |
[13:48] | – He just hates me. – No, he’s disappointed, that’s all. | – 他就是恨我 – 不 他很失望罢了 |
[13:52] | Still he knows that if I made a mistake, | 他应该知道 就算我犯错 |
[13:54] | it was only because I wanted him to win so badly. | 也是因为我太想让他赢了 |
[13:57] | He’ll get over it. | 他会想明白的 |
[13:59] | Remember when you were 13, you had that science project? | 还记得你13岁的时候 做了那个科技作品吗 |
[14:01] | I came in your room and sat on it. | 我进到你房间 一屁股坐了上去 |
[14:04] | – You forgave me. – True. | – 你也原谅我了 – 没错 |
[14:08] | Spent six months working on that project. | 花了六个月做的作品 |
[14:11] | Well, my point is accidents happen. He’ll come to see that. | 我是说世事难料 他会想通的 |
[14:17] | Ah, I suppose you’re right. | 我想你是对的 |
[14:20] | Three perfectly good chairs in my room, | 我房间里有三张好端端的凳子 |
[14:22] | you had to sit on my hybrid orchid. | 你却偏要坐在我的杂交兰花上 |
[14:26] | Well, let’s hope Freddie’s as forgiving as you are. | 好吧 希望Freddie跟你一样宽容吧 |
[14:31] | So, uh, wanna go to that banquet tonight, Freddie? | 所以 想去晚宴吗 Freddie |
[14:33] | I don’t think so. | 我想还是算了 |
[14:35] | It’ll just be a bunch of people saying bad stuff about me. | 到时候肯定有一帮人说我坏话 |
[14:38] | – None of which is true. – But they think it is. | – 坏话但不是真话 – 但他们以为是真的 |
[14:42] | – Here you go. – Uncle Niles? | – 拿着 – Niles叔叔 |
[14:46] | Is it true that you walked off-stage | 他们说你在拼字比赛决胜局时 |
[14:48] | on the last word of the National Bee? | 径直走下台 是真的吗 |
[14:51] | Now, where did you hear that? | 你从哪儿听来的 |
[14:52] | Dad and Grandpa. They said you were one of the best. | 爸爸和爷爷那儿 他们说你是佼佼者之一 |
[14:56] | Well, they exaggerate. | 好吧 他们言过其实了 |
[14:57] | They said you were just as good as somebody named Kerek? | 他们说你和一个叫Kerek的人一样厉害 |
[15:01] | Just as good? | 一样厉害 |
[15:04] | Funny. | 真搞笑 |
[15:08] | Anyway, | 无论如何 |
[15:11] | the story is true. | 故事是真的 |
[15:13] | Never talked about it before, but I will, | 我从没说过这件事 但我会说 |
[15:17] | since you also have the gift. | 因为你也有这天赋 |
[15:22] | Have a seat. | 坐吧 |
[15:24] | I was, uh, a little younger than you. | 我那时候年纪比你还小 |
[15:28] | Been winning numerous competitions, | 已经赢下了无数场比赛 |
[15:32] | but, uh, I was obsessed with one thing and one thing only, | 但让我日思夜想的事情有且只有一件 |
[15:35] | the national championship. | 那就是全国冠军 |
[15:38] | The time finally came and there I was, standing on that stage, | 那一天终于到来 我就站在台上 |
[15:42] | waiting for the judge to say the final word. | 等着裁判说出最后一个词 |
[15:46] | And suddenly it happened. | 就在此时 一切发生了 |
[15:48] | It all clicked. All the rules: I before E, | 我一下子豁然开朗 所有拼字规则 I在E前 |
[15:52] | assimilations, etymologies, | 同化现象 词源学 |
[15:54] | they all became one, | 全都融为一体 |
[15:58] | and then became nothing. | 然后化为乌有 |
[16:04] | In that moment I realised there was no word I couldn’t spell. | 那一刻 我意识到这世上没有我拼不了的单词 |
[16:11] | Competitions didn’t matter anymore | 比赛输赢也无关紧要 |
[16:13] | because I was one with the higher truth, that is spelling. | 因为我收获了更高真理 那就是拼写的真谛 |
[16:21] | So when the judge said that last word, | 所以当裁判说出最后一个词时 |
[16:23] | I simply walked away. | 我就这么走了 |
[16:26] | Didn’t you care what people said? | 你不关心别人说什么吗 |
[16:28] | Ho, people said a lot of things that weren’t true. | 别人说的很多话都不是真的 |
[16:32] | “He didn’t know the word. He was scared. Mafia this.” | “他不知道那个词 他害怕了 有黑幕” |
[16:39] | No, didn’t bother me | 不 我一点也不困扰 |
[16:41] | because they couldn’t take away what I knew in my heart. | 因为心中的知识是别人抢不走的 |
[16:46] | You know how to spell. | 你知道如何拼写 |
[16:49] | And it doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks. | 别人说什么就无关紧要了 |
[16:56] | Hey, hey, don’t you want your ice cream? | 嘿 嘿 冰激凌你不吃了 |
[16:58] | No. I have a banquet to go to. | 不了 我还要去晚宴呢 |
[17:05] | – Ah, here we are. – Hi, Amanda. | – 就是这儿 – 嗨 Amanda |
[17:14] | Never mind her, Freddie. | 别理她 Freddie |
[17:16] | It’s her problem, not yours. | 这是她的问题 不是你的 |
[17:19] | You didn’t do anything wrong. | 你没做错什么 |
[17:21] | I know. Neither did you. | 我知道 你也没有 |
[17:26] | Excuse me. | 我出去一下 |
[17:29] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[17:30] | I’d like to take this opportunity to welcome you | 我想借此机会欢迎各位 |
[17:33] | to this year’s annual Spell-a-bration. | 参加年度拼庆会 |
[17:38] | Because of the irregularities with this year’s event, | 由于今年的活动不同以往 |
[17:42] | this gathering has been renamed the Unity Dinner | 所以就改名为联合晚宴 |
[17:45] | and is in honour of all the finalists. | 以祝贺所有的决赛选手 |
[17:52] | What is that supposed to mean, “Irregularities”? | “不同以往”是什么意思 |
[17:54] | Frasier, Frasier, let it go. | Frasier Frasier 算了吧 |
[17:57] | Crane, no hard feelings. | Crane 没生气吧 |
[18:01] | – No feelings at all. – Oh, don’t be like that. | – 什么感觉都没有 – 噢 别这样嘛 |
[18:05] | You’re not the first person tempted to get around the rules. | 你不是第一个想要钻空子的人 |
[18:08] | You just got caught. | 只是第一个被抓的而已 |
[18:10] | I did not get caught. | 我没被抓 |
[18:12] | Well, cameras never lie and cheaters never prosper. | 好吧 相机不会撒谎 骗子不会成功 |
[18:15] | – And you never shut up. – Frasier, Frasier, | – 你也不会闭嘴 – Frasier Frasier |
[18:18] | let’s try to follow Frederick’s example | 咱们应该学学Frederick |
[18:19] | and carry ourselves with dignity. | 宽容大度一些 |
[18:21] | Where are your parents? | 你们俩的家长在哪儿 |
[18:23] | Freddie? What’s going on? | Freddie 发生什么事了 |
[18:25] | I caught these two fighting in the men’s room. | 这两人在厕所打架被我抓到了 |
[18:27] | – He punched me. – Is this true? | – 他打我 – 是真的吗 |
[18:29] | He deserved it. | 他活该 |
[18:32] | Why’d you do it, Freddie? | 你为什么要打他 Freddie |
[18:35] | – He called my dad a cheater. – You were defending me? | – 他说我爸爸作弊 – 你是在维护我 |
[18:38] | – Where’s your blazer? – It’s in the bathroom. | – 你的外套呢 – 在厕所间 |
[18:41] | Oh, dear. If it’s touched the floor, we’ll have to destroy it. | 哦天 如果掉到地上 我们就要把它销毁掉 |
[18:45] | Freddie, I want you to apologise to Warren right now. | Freddie 我要你立刻和Warren道歉 |
[18:47] | Yes, and then, Warren, you apologise too. | 是的 然后 Warren 你也要道歉 |
[18:49] | Being a name-caller is almost as bad as being a cheater. | 辱骂他人和比赛作弊一样糟糕 |
[18:53] | I am not a cheater. You are a thief. | 我没有作弊 你就是个小偷 |
[18:56] | My son is the true champion. | 我儿子是真正的冠军 |
[18:57] | Yeah, when your dad’s here to help you. | 是啊 因为有你爸帮忙嘛 |
[18:59] | Hey, I can out-spell you any time, any place. | 嘿 我随时随地都拼得过你 |
[19:02] | Oh, yeah? How about right now? | 哦 是嘛 那现在呢 |
[19:04] | Hold on, son. We don’t have to prove anything. | 等下 儿子 我们不用证明什么 |
[19:06] | I can take you in five words. | 我五个词之内就能拿下你 |
[19:07] | Okay, you’re on. For the trophy. | 好啊 放马过来 为了奖杯 |
[19:10] | Why? We already have the trophy. Ha, ha. | 为什么 我们已经拿到奖杯了 哈哈 |
[19:12] | Crane, why don’t you talk some sense into your boy there? | Crane 好好和你儿子讲讲道理 |
[19:16] | – Freddie… – Dad, I wanna spell. | – Freddie – 爸爸 我想拼写 |
[19:25] | What’s the matter, John? You scared? | 怎么了 John 你怕了 |
[19:33] | For the trophy. | 为了奖杯 |
[19:34] | We have already selected an official winner. | 我们已经正式评选出了一名冠军 |
[19:37] | If you would like to brawl, take it someplace else. | 如果你们要打架 就到别地打去 |
[19:39] | – Let’s take it outside. – To the street. | – 那就出去比 – 到马路上比 |
[19:45] | Sudden death. Scripps Howard rules. | 即刻淘汰制 Scripps Howard规则 |
[19:48] | – Bring it on. – People, stop, please. | – 放马过来 – 各位 暂停 |
[19:52] | Look at yourselves. | 看看你们自己 |
[19:55] | This is wrong. | 这是不对的 |
[19:57] | What are words, | 单词是什么的 |
[19:58] | after all, but a way to communicate, | 归根结底 是用来沟通交流的 |
[20:00] | to bring us together? | 把我们团结到一起的 |
[20:01] | But you… You’re using them as weapons. | 但是你们 你们却把它当成武器 |
[20:07] | Now, we still have an opportunity | 现在 我们还有机会 |
[20:08] | to walk away from here as winners. | 以胜利者的姿态离开 |
[20:11] | And wouldn’t that be the greatest spell-a-bration of all? | 这难道不是最好的拼庆会吗 |
[20:19] | He’s right, son. Let’s go home. | 他说得对 儿子 咱们回家 |
[20:24] | Yeah. We’re all winners, except for the two cheaters. | 对啊 我们都是胜者 除了那两个作弊的 |
[20:29] | Hey, you know how to spell loser? C-R-A-N-E. | 嘿 你知道废柴怎么拼吗 C-R-A-N-E |
[20:36] | You don’t have to worry about seeing him again, son. | 你不用担心 你再也见不到他了 儿子 |
[20:38] | Chances are he’ll end up in a state school. | 他多半会去念公办学校了 |
[20:44] | How dare you. | 你好大胆子 |
[20:48] | – Can you take him? – Yeah. | – 你能干掉他吗 – 能 |
[20:50] | Then spell his ass off. | 那就和他拼了 |