时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | hank you for coming in to interview | 感谢你来参加这次 |
[00:03] | for the principal position, Mrs. Huang. | 校长职位的面试 黄夫人 |
[00:05] | My pleasure. Thank you for agreeing to meet. | 我的荣幸 感谢你愿意见我 |
[00:07] | Now, what specific ideas do you have | 那么 针对学校的改进 |
[00:10] | to improve our school? | 你有什么具体的想法吗? |
[00:12] | Trick question. | 这是陷阱 |
[00:13] | Only a fool would give ideas for free. | 傻子才会免费提供服务 |
[00:15] | I’ll answer when I’m on payroll. | 我只有被聘用了才会回答 |
[00:17] | And why are you talking | 而且你为什么要用那种 |
[00:18] | in a regionally incorrect British accent? | 相当不地道的英式口音说话? |
[00:20] | To get into the part. Like you asked. | 为了入戏啊 不是你要求的吗 |
[00:22] | In your detailed and demanding voicemail. | 在你那详细非常又苛刻无比的语音留言里 |
[00:25] | No accent, but I do like the glasses. | 去掉口音 但那眼镜我喜欢 |
[00:27] | Makes you look like you have the IQ of a brunette. | 让人感觉你能有棕色头发的人的智商 |
[00:31] | Okay. | 行吧 |
[00:32] | As principal, | 作为校长 |
[00:33] | how would you let go of a bad employee? | 你会怎么处理糟糕的员工? |
[00:35] | Quickly and off a 4-story building. Next. | 迅速将他从四楼丢下去 下个问题 |
[00:38] | Jessica… | 杰西卡… |
[00:40] | You asked me to help. | 是你要我来帮忙的 |
[00:41] | Stop joking around. | 所以别闹了行吗 |
[00:42] | Honey, private schools are competitive. | 蜜儿 私立学校竞争很激烈的 |
[00:44] | My resume is perfect, | 我的简历非常完美 |
[00:46] | and I want my interview to be perfect, too. | 而我的面试自然也必须要非常完美 |
[00:48] | Sure, I know I can rely on my looks, | 当然了 我知道我可以凭美貌脱颖而出 |
[00:50] | but I want to be hired for what’s in here. | 但我更想靠智慧取胜 |
[00:53] | Not for all this. | 而不是作为一个花瓶 |
[00:55] | Now, start over. | 现在 从头再来一遍 |
[00:58] | Hi, Jessica. | 你好 杰西卡 |
[00:59] | So nice to meet you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[01:02] | Tell me about yourself. | 向我介绍一下你自己 |
[01:04] | What? What now? | 干嘛? 又哪里不对? |
[01:05] | Most interviewers offer water. | 多数面试官会提供水 |
[01:07] | “Can I get you some water, Mrs. Huang?” | “需要我给您倒杯水吗 黄夫人?” |
[01:09] | Fine. | 行吧 |
[01:10] | Mrs. Huang, would you like some water? | 黄夫人 您想喝点水吗? |
[01:12] | Oh, no, thank you. | 哦不了 谢谢 |
[01:14] | But I will take some tea. | 但我更想来杯茶 |
[01:39] | In my experience, | 根据我的经验来看 |
[01:40] | most interviews start and end with one… | 大多数面试都是在开始和结束的时候各握一下… |
[01:42] | if the interviewer is a woman. | 如果面试官是个女人的话 |
[01:45] | A too-long hug if it’s a man. | 如果是个男人 那就会是个过长时间的拥抱 |
[01:48] | Ow! | 嗷! |
[01:49] | Ow! My darts hand! | 痛! 我手要废了! |
[01:51] | My hands are so strong | 经过人生的千锤百炼后 |
[01:52] | from pulling myself up by my own bootstraps. | 我的双手变得十分强而有力 |
[01:54] | She’s got the grip of a chimpanzee. | 她的握力和黑猩猩差不多 |
[01:56] | We blow through doorknobs around here. | 我们这所有的门把手都断过一遍 |
[01:58] | Wait, you asked Honey to help you find a job | 等会 你让蜜儿帮你排练面试 |
[02:00] | and not the business consultant you live with? | 而不是作为商务咨询师的你老公我? |
[02:03] | Way to kiss a gift horse on the mouth. | 真是知人善用啊 |
[02:05] | I think the saying is | 我想那句话应该是 |
[02:06] | “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.” | “别挑三拣四的” |
[02:09] | – That doesn’t make sense. – Wrong. | – 那说不通 – 错了 |
[02:10] | Jessica, you’re right. Maybe it’s best I don’t help. | 杰西卡 你是对的 也许我最好还是别帮忙 |
[02:13] | You’re used to me as your husband, | 你习惯将我视作你的丈夫 |
[02:14] | not brutally honest, straightforward, | 而不是诚实到残忍的 单刀直入的 |
[02:16] | no-emotion Business Louis. | 莫得感情的商海浮沉路易斯 |
[02:17] | No-emotion? I would love it if you were like that all the time. | 莫得感情? 要是你一直能莫得感情 我倒是会蛮喜欢的 |
[02:21] | Have you, uh, networked with Deidre yet? | 你和 呃 黛德丽有没有联系过? |
[02:23] | She’s on the board at a private school. | 她在一家私立学校的董事会成员 |
[02:24] | Deidre? | 黛德丽吗? |
[02:25] | The “Networking” I do with her is not exactly positive. | 我和她之间的”社交联系”不是很愉快 |
[02:36] | Hey. You wanted to borrow these for Honey’s surprise party? | 嘿 你为了蜜儿的惊喜派对想借用这些? |
[02:39] | There’s a surprise for you too… | 我这也有一个小惊喜给你… |
[02:41] | You’re not invited. | 你不在受邀人之列 |
[02:43] | Did you want me to set these up in the kitchen | 你是想让我把它们放在厨房 |
[02:45] | or up your ass? | 还是怼在你的屁股上? |
[02:48] | Yeah, that’s not bridge-building. | 是 那确实构建不起啥友谊之桥 |
[02:50] | But, luckily, you have me. | 但幸运的是 你有我在 |
[02:51] | Deidre and I have a fruitful business relationship. | 黛德丽和我保持着高效的商务合作关系 |
[02:53] | I buy all my hair products from her. | 我所有的护发产品都是从她那买的 |
[02:55] | She only sells women’s products. | 她只卖女人用的产品啊 |
[02:57] | Mm-hmm. | 没错 |
[02:58] | $50 of monthly hair products | 每月五十美元的的护发产品 |
[02:59] | doesn’t just build a lustrous sheen. | 可不只是为了头发闪耀迷人 |
[03:01] | It builds a friendship. | 还浇灌出了盛开的友谊之花 |
[03:02] | Jessica, let me help. | 杰西卡 让我帮你吧 |
[03:03] | I know I can get you the job of your dreams. | 我很清楚我能帮你得到你梦寐以求的职位 |
[03:06] | Well, I guess it can’t hurt. | 噢 试试也无伤大雅 |
[03:08] | Plus, Honey, you’re doing terrible. | 另外 蜜儿 你技术实在不行 |
[03:09] | You took 20 minutes to make tea. | 泡个茶居然要花二十分钟 |
[03:14] | Here. Saved my crusts for you. | 喏 给你披萨脆皮边边 |
[03:16] | Yes. Papa loves his “Emery Sticks.” | 妙啊 爷真是爱死你的埃默里饼边 |
[03:19] | Compadres! Why don’t we switch the channel over to “ESS-PEN,” | 朋友们! 我们怎么还没把电视切到体娱频道呢 |
[03:22] | ’cause this Huang is now a high school athlete. | 因为你们面前这位黄姓小伙儿已经是个高中运动员了 |
[03:24] | The high school’s desperate for Mathletes, | 高中急缺数学竞赛生 |
[03:26] | so they’re recruiting the top eighth grader. | 所以他们就招收了本届最优秀的八年级生 |
[03:28] | Their team is about to… multiply. | 他们的队伍的实力即将… 倍数扩张啦 |
[03:31] | That’s the little “X” One, right? | 是那个小叉号 对吧? |
[03:33] | Mm. | 啧 |
[03:34] | I’m on my way to completing the Iron Man. | 我已经在成为钢铁侠的路上了 |
[03:37] | Science fair, Mathletes, | 科学展览会员 数学竞赛生 |
[03:39] | and one day, the spelling bee. | 而终有一天 我会成为拼写之王 |
[03:41] | I wish it was a smelling bee. I’d dominate. | 我希望有嗅觉之王这个称号 我绝对能称霸的 |
[03:43] | I smelled almost 30 things yesterday. | 我昨天差不多闻到了三十种不同的气味 |
[03:46] | I’ll be there a few times a week for practice. | 我一周会去那做几次练习 |
[03:47] | We can all hang out. | 我们可以玩啊 |
[03:49] | Three Huang boys, one underfunded high school. | 三个黄姓小伙儿和一所资金不足的高中的故事 |
[03:55] | Who am I kidding? I couldn’t win a smelling bee. | 我做啥梦呢? 我永远做不了嗅觉之王 |
[03:57] | Some of those kids have been training their entire lives. | 有的孩子可是为此训练了一生呢 |
[04:04] | Thanks for the invite, Louis. I had no idea you guys played. | 谢谢邀请 路易斯 我都不知道你们也打高尔夫 |
[04:07] | Ah, the hitting, the walking, the basic arithmetic. | 啊 击打 游走 基础计数 |
[04:09] | Can’t get enough of it. | 谁能拒绝这些呢 |
[04:11] | Okay. | 好的呢 |
[04:13] | This is hell. | 这简直人间地狱 |
[04:14] | Sure, but sometimes you have to endure a little hardship | 没错 但有时为了大局着想 |
[04:17] | for the good of the big picture… | 你必须要克服一些困难… |
[04:18] | Play the long game. | 放长线钓大鱼 |
[04:19] | Louis, don’t annoy me. | 路易斯 别惹我 |
[04:20] | I have spikes on the bottom of my shoes. | 我穿的可是钉鞋 |
[04:22] | Well, making connections requires finesse. | 嘛 建立关系是需要技巧的 |
[04:24] | You have to massage the relationship before asking favors. | 你在请人帮忙前总要先套套近乎 |
[04:26] | Finesse? Massage? | 技巧? 套近乎? |
[04:28] | You gotta stop watching those shampoo commercials. | 你可别再看那些洗发水广告了 |
[04:30] | Focus. This is step 1 of many. | 注意看 这还只是众多程序中的第一步呢 |
[04:32] | Amazing shot, Deidre! | 好球啊 黛德丽! |
[04:35] | Now, slowly start to butter her up. | 就现在 慢慢跟她拉近关系 |
[04:37] | Ask her about her side makeup company. | 问她一些关于她的化妆品公司的事儿 |
[04:39] | Hey, Deidre, great golf. | 嘿 黛德丽 高尔夫打得不错啊 |
[04:40] | How’s your makeup thing? | 你的化妆品的事儿咋样了? |
[04:41] | Oof! Let me tell you. | 噢! 这可有的说了 |
[04:42] | Our glitter shadows are flying off the… | 我们的珠光眼影卖得飞起… |
[04:44] | I’m looking for a job at a private school. | 我想去一所私立学校工作 |
[04:46] | I know you’re on the board of Smith-Moore Academy. | 而我知道你是史密斯摩尔学院董事会一员 |
[04:48] | Uhp, uh, first sign of sunstroke. | 嗷 呃 她这是中暑了 |
[04:49] | She starts talking about private schools. | 都开始说私立学校的胡话了 |
[04:51] | Sorry, Deidre. | 抱歉啊 黛德丽 |
[04:52] | Sunstroke, with the brim radius on that visor? | 戴着那么个宽檐遮阳帽还能中暑? |
[04:54] | No way. She wants to talk business. | 少扯了 她想谈生意 |
[04:56] | I do. Servant, grab your little pencil. | 没错 侍者 拿起你的小铅笔 |
[04:58] | Come take notes. | 开始做会议记录吧 |
[05:00] | Actually, it just so happens, | 实际上 巧的是 |
[05:01] | our school is looking for a Dean. | 我们学校正好需要一个院长 |
[05:03] | You’d be perfect. I could put in a good word. | 你是个不错的人选 我可以帮你说说好话 |
[05:05] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[05:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[05:08] | Yeah, of course. | 嗯哼 当然是真的 |
[05:09] | And with my pull, the interview is basically a formality, | 而且有我帮忙 面试也就基本是走个流程的事儿 |
[05:12] | so I’ll go call the school right now while you guys tee off. | 那我现在就去打个电话吧 你们先开球 |
[05:17] | That happened awfully fast. | 这一切发生的太猝不及防了 |
[05:18] | You are just thrown because I made your long game short. | 你失落只是因为我瞬间直接给你把鱼叉上来了 |
[05:21] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[05:22] | Or she can’t afford to lose her best haircare customer. | 又或者是她不想失去她最好的护发产品客户 |
[05:24] | Or she just knows that I’m perfect at everything I do. | 又或者只是她明白我干什么都非常厉害 |
[05:31] | Home run! | 本垒打! |
[05:33] | You’re up. | 到你上场了 |
[05:37] | Sorry you couldn’t sit up front. | 抱歉你不能坐在前排 |
[05:39] | You have to call shotgun. Right, Emery? | 你就非得坐在副驾驶是吧 埃默里? |
[05:40] | It’s tough for me because I’m a pacifist, | 我也不想啊 我可是个和平主义者 |
[05:42] | but I also get carsick back there. | 但我坐后排会晕车 |
[05:44] | Alright, last safe place for farts. | 行吧 趁着在这儿放屁不会被打 |
[05:45] | Blast them out while you still can. | 赶紧把它们都给放完了 |
[05:47] | My dream came a year early. | 我的梦想提早一年实现了 |
[05:49] | Three Huangs together in high school. | 我们三个一起上高中 |
[06:02] | – I’m the third Huang. – My God, it’s Evan! | – 我就是黄家老三 – 天哪 是埃文! |
[06:03] | If the girls are too much, | 如果女孩们把这挤爆了 |
[06:04] | complain to someone else, you lucky bastard. | 可别跟我抱怨 你个幸运的混球 |
[06:10] | There he is. | 他来了 |
[06:12] | My man. | 我的好兄弟 |
[06:18] | Alright, see you after school, nerd. | 行了 放学后见 书呆子 |
[06:19] | Don’t be late, or I’m leaving you. | 别晚了 不然我就丢下你们自己走了 |
[06:21] | How do you conjure up your farts so fast? | 为啥你能这么快就酝酿出屁? |
[06:23] | I clam up. | 我就不行 |
[06:24] | It comes with age. | 到了年纪你自然就会了 |
[06:27] | What did he mean by “See you after school”? | 他说”放学后见”是什么意思? |
[06:29] | You guys don’t hang out at school? | 你们俩不会在学校里一起玩吗? |
[06:30] | Oh, it’s just that… | 噢 那只是… |
[06:32] | I don’t want to cramp his style, you know? | 我不想束缚他的行事风格 你懂吧? |
[06:34] | It’s high school. That’s just the way it is. | 高中就是这样的 |
[06:39] | Oh, dear Lord, the tongue kissing is rampant! | 我的老天爷啊 舌吻的人也太多了吧! |
[06:45] | Hey, Eve, nice cat calendar. | 嘿 伊芙 猫咪日历不错 |
[06:47] | Did you see the new “Dilbert” Today? So true. | 你看今天的”呆伯特”了吗? |
[06:50] | Hey, are we going in on a lotto ticket together or what? | 嘿 我们要不要一起买个乐透什么的? |
[06:53] | Man, I love office culture. | 天哪 我爱死办公室文化了 |
[06:55] | Who are you? | 你哪位? |
[06:56] | I’m the new Dean. Dean Huang. | 我是新院长啊 黄院长 |
[06:59] | I came in last week | 我上周来 |
[07:00] | for my start paperwork and faculty wall photos? | 交了入职文书还有职工墙照片的? |
[07:03] | I deemed myself a one-shot wonder? | 我还说我自己酒量超差呢来着? |
[07:05] | Oh, right. The Dean. | 噢是哦 那个院长啊 |
[07:08] | Oh, there she is. | 噢 她在这啊 |
[07:10] | Hello, Jessica. | 你好啊 杰西卡 |
[07:11] | Principal Reed, what do you need me to tackle today? | 里德校长 您需要我今天去做些什么? |
[07:14] | College guidance? Student discipline? | 给予大学指导? 管理学生纪律? |
[07:16] | Slashing the budget? The arts… gone. | 设法削减预算? 那艺术类就… 拜拜 |
[07:18] | Well, you know, that’s not really… what you’re here for. | 你知道的 那不是真正的… 你来上学想学的东西 |
[07:22] | Uh, between the Headmaster and myself, | 我和董事长 |
[07:23] | we’ve got that covered. | 我们都已经搞定了 |
[07:24] | – Headmaster? – Mm. | – 董事长? – 嗯 |
[07:26] | Then what do I do? | 那我要做什么? |
[07:28] | Job’s pretty much what you make of it. | 工作差不多就是看你想怎么做 |
[07:30] | So… | 所以… |
[07:31] | Oh, I’ve got your welcome packet here, and, uh… | 噢 你的入职欢迎手册在我这 然后… |
[07:33] | Oh,I accidentally put in a copy of Administrator Weekly. | 噢 我不小心夹入了一份《管理者周报》 |
[07:37] | That’s weird. | 真奇怪 |
[07:38] | I’m the guest editor. | 我是特约编辑 |
[07:39] | Oh, well. You enjoy. | 尽情享受 |
[07:50] | Uhp. Another doorknob. | 又搞掉一个把手 |
[07:52] | How was your first day? | 工作第一天怎么样? |
[07:53] | Terrible! They only hired me because I’m Chinese! | 糟透了! 他们雇佣我只因为我是中国人! |
[07:56] | What? I’m sure that’s not… | 什么? 我肯定这不是… |
[08:00] | “Home of Diversity”? | “多元之家”? |
[08:03] | They have a swimming pool? Can we use… | 他们有一个游泳池? 我们能不能用… |
[08:05] | Not the time. | 现在不是时候 |
[08:10] | They put me on the front of their brochure. | 他们把我放在宣传手册的封面 |
[08:12] | Sure, this face was built for a cover, but come on! | 当然 这张脸就是为做封面而生 但是得了吧! |
[08:16] | I knew something was up | 我就知道有事要发生 |
[08:17] | when Deidre was so willing to help you out. | 当黛德丽格外愿意帮助你的时候 |
[08:18] | I don’t buy that much hair product. | 我也没买那么多护法产品嘛 |
[08:20] | Principal Reed couldn’t name one thing in my job description. | 里德校长甚至不能说出一件关于我的工作职责 |
[08:23] | I looked it up, | 我查过了 |
[08:24] | and the title of Dean didn’t even exist until now. | 院长的头衔直到现在才有 |
[08:28] | So, then you’re the first. | 那么 你是第一个呀 |
[08:29] | You like coming in first. You raced me down the aisle. | 你喜欢做第一 结婚走红毯时你都要跟我赛跑 |
[08:31] | The school is obviously caught up in this new “Diversity wave,” | 这所学校明显卷入了新的”多元浪潮” |
[08:35] | but it’s just for optics. | 但这只是表面功夫 |
[08:37] | I finally got what I wanted, and I didn’t even earn it. | 我最终得到了我想要的 但我甚至都没出力争取 |
[08:40] | No, you put in all the work. You deserve this job. | 不 你全身心投入 这份工作是你应得的 |
[08:43] | I don’t want a handout. | 我不想要一份施舍给我的工作 |
[08:44] | Well, the alternative is no diversity at all. | 要么就是 一点也不多元 |
[08:47] | Is that better? | 这样难道更好吗? |
[08:47] | That sounds like my husband talking. | 这听起来确实像我的丈夫说的话 |
[08:50] | I want to know what my business consultant thinks. | 我想知道我的商业咨询师是怎么想的 |
[08:53] | He… or me… He-me… | 他… 或者我… 他我… |
[08:55] | We think it’s lousy how you got it, but you got it, | 我们认为你得到它的方式是令人不喜的 但你毕竟得到它了 |
[08:57] | and now you got to make the most of it and play the long game, | 现在你要充分利用这个机会 放打持久战 |
[09:00] | work twice as hard. | 加倍努力工作 |
[09:01] | I already work twice as hard. | 我已经加倍努力工作了 |
[09:03] | So now I’m gonna work four times as hard. | 所以现在我要四倍努力 |
[09:06] | Show them who’s Dean. | 让他们瞧瞧院长的本事 |
[09:08] | Oh, I love it when you’re angry at people that aren’t me. | 我超爱你对除我之外的人生气的时候 |
[09:14] | Uh, I’m still waiting for my body odor to come in, | 我虽然现在还没什么体味 |
[09:17] | but I don’t think that’s how you use that. | 但我不觉得这玩意是你这么用的 |
[09:20] | I realized, why just my armpits? | 我意识到 为什么只涂我的腋窝是? |
[09:22] | Where’s the love for my knee-pits and elbow-pits? | 明明也可以多关爱关爱我的腿窝和肘窝? |
[09:25] | Sure. | 确实 |
[09:26] | Hey, why don’t you hang out with Emery at school? | 为什么在学校你不跟埃默里一起玩? |
[09:29] | Emery? | 埃默里? |
[09:30] | Ah, his drama friends are weird. | 他的戏剧社朋友都是怪胎 |
[09:32] | They’re always pretending with invisible props. | 他们经常假装拿着看不见的道具 |
[09:34] | Like, why not just tip your actual hat? | 就像 为什么不直接戴上一个真的帽子? |
[09:37] | My crew? We’re cool. | 我的小伙伴们? 我们超酷的 |
[09:39] | With visible props. | 我们有看得见的道具 |
[09:40] | Is that why you’re always looking at each other | 这就是为什么你们总是互相瞅着对方 |
[09:42] | and saying “Props”? | 喊”道具”? |
[09:45] | No. | 才不是 |
[09:46] | See, the thing is, | 你看 问题是 |
[09:47] | hanging with your brothers at home is fine, | 在家跟你的弟弟一起玩没什么 |
[09:49] | but at school, it’s lame. | 但是在学校 这样超差劲的 |
[09:51] | You gotta do you at school. | 在学校你必须做你 |
[09:53] | It’s technically “Do oneself.” | 严格意义上来说应该是”做自己” |
[09:55] | Proving my point. | 你这个行为正好证明了我的观点 |
[09:56] | Look, I’ve already broken in the teachers and paved the way. | 我已经打入老师内部 并铺平了道路 |
[09:59] | Emery’s gotta figure stuff out on his own. | 埃默里必须自己把问题搞定 |
[10:01] | I’ll be gone in a year. | 我一年内就毕业了 |
[10:02] | Okay, but I get the sense | 好吧 但我感觉 |
[10:04] | that Emery really wants to hang out with you. | 埃默里真的想跟你一起玩 |
[10:06] | And remember what Dad always says? | 还记得老爸总是说什么吗? |
[10:09] | “Brothers are thicker than water.” | “亲兄弟比水稠” |
[10:11] | I think it’s “Blood is thicker than water.” | 我想老爸说的是”血浓于水” |
[10:13] | Immigrant parents. | 移民家长 |
[10:15] | Great at raising kids, bad at idioms. | 擅长养娃 拙于成语 |
[10:17] | It’s “Cut me some slacks” all over again. | 又是”放我一马吧” |
[10:20] | Okay, I’ll throw him an Emery Stick. | 好吧 我会扔给他一个埃默里饼边 |
[10:23] | Is it weird if I ask you to deodorize my back? | 如果让你帮我的背除臭是不是很奇怪? |
[10:26] | Yes. | 是的 |
[10:31] | And here we are. | 我们到啦 |
[10:36] | What’s that? | 那是啥? |
[10:39] | Oh! That’s Mr. Buns. | 那是兔子先生 |
[10:41] | He came from the 10th-grade science class. | 他来自十年级科学课 |
[10:43] | They didn’t have it in their hearts to dissect, | 学生们不情愿解剖它 |
[10:44] | so now he lives here in the supply closet. | 所以现在它住在这个供应室里 |
[10:46] | Office. This is your office. | 办公室 这里就是你的办公室 |
[10:49] | Okay, fine. | 好吧 无所谓 |
[10:50] | Now that we’re here, can we talk through my ideas? | 既然现在我们在这 能聊聊我的想法吗? |
[10:52] | Oh, there’s no rush. | 这事不急 |
[10:54] | Why don’t you relax? | 为什么不放松点呢? |
[10:56] | Take some time to decorate and, uh, adjust, huh? | 花点时间装饰这里 调整适应一下? |
[11:01] | Any other questions? | 还有其他问题吗? |
[11:03] | Just one. | 就一个 |
[11:05] | Do you think anyone can hear your screams from down here? | 你觉得有人能听见你在这里尖叫吗? |
[11:10] | My throat! | 我的喉咙! |
[11:12] | You have claws like a wolf! | 你怎么像恶狼一样有爪子! |
[11:14] | Stop bleeding! Take my punches like a man! | 别流血了! 像个男人一样接受我的暴击吧! |
[11:16] | Jessica? | 杰西卡? |
[11:17] | Jessica, any other questions? | 杰西卡 还有别的问题吗? |
[11:20] | No? Okay, good, good. | 没了? 好吧 很好 |
[11:21] | Well, you know, I have a meeting in about an hour, | 你知道 我大约一小时后要开会 |
[11:23] | so I better start the trek back. | 所以我最好现在就开始跋涉返途 |
[11:31] | You remind me of one of my exes. | 你让我想起我某个前男友 |
[11:34] | All of my exes. | 所有前任 |
[11:41] | Emery, my brother! | 埃默里 我的好弟弟! |
[11:43] | Whoa! Eddie. | 吓! 埃迪 |
[11:44] | I know. My voice is getting deeper, and it is jarring. | 我知道 我的声音变得深沉 还很刺耳 |
[11:47] | It’s like, “Is that Batman?” | 听起来就像 “这是蝙蝠侠吗?” |
[11:48] | No, it’s me. Eddie. | 不 是我哟 埃迪 |
[11:50] | No, we’re pretending to be in a band, | 不是的 我们正在想象在一个乐队里 |
[11:52] | and you totally just made a ruckus on the piano. | 但你刚刚在钢琴上按了一堆杂音 |
[11:56] | Invisible prop time. Fun. | 隐形道具游戏时间 有趣 |
[12:00] | So, I was thinking maybe I’d hang out | 那么 我本来想今天或许我可以跟 |
[12:01] | with my favorite middle brother today. | 我最喜欢的二弟一起玩耍 |
[12:03] | Nah, we’re good. Thanks. | 不用 咱俩算了吧 谢谢 |
[12:05] | What? Emery, come on. This is a gift from God. | 什么? 埃默里 不要这样啦 这是来自上帝的礼物 |
[12:07] | Like the day Cinemax was unscrambled. | 就跟电影频道被解码那天一样 |
[12:09] | I appreciate the offer, but I’d rather you not join. | 我十分感激你的提议 但我希望你不要加入我们 |
[12:12] | No offense. | 无冒犯之意 |
[12:13] | Yes offense. | 不 你冒犯了我 |
[12:14] | You should be thrilled your older, cooler brother | 你的酷毙的大哥跟你坐在一起 |
[12:16] | is sitting with you. | 你该欣喜若狂 |
[12:16] | It’s just that we’re kinda in the middle of something here. | 只是现在我们有点儿忙 |
[12:20] | I get it. You don’t know how to shake these dweebs. | 我懂了 你不知道怎么甩开这堆怪人 |
[12:22] | Dweebs? Have you seen your friends? | 怪人? 你也不瞅瞅你的朋友啥货色? |
[12:25] | Or should I say, the Tall Freak Parade? | 或者我应该称为 傻大个游园集会 |
[12:28] | Tall Freak Parade? What about Brian? | 傻大个游园集会? 那布莱恩呢? |
[12:30] | You’re using Brian to make yourself seem normal? Sad. | 你们用布莱恩让自己看起来正常? 真悲哀 |
[12:33] | You know what? Good. | 你懂么? 这样很好 |
[12:34] | I don’t wanna hang out with my brother at school anyways. | 反正我也不想在学校跟傻老弟待一起 |
[12:36] | Nothing lamer than that. | 没什么比这更差劲的了 |
[12:45] | Pretty clean game so far. | 目前为止比赛还不错 |
[12:46] | They haven’t shown the referee once. | 他们一次都没被裁判判过 |
[12:48] | I can’t do it anymore. | 我实在干不下去了 |
[12:50] | I’ve been trying to work four times as hard, | 我已经尝试用四倍努力工作了 |
[12:51] | but it is 10 times as hard to work four times as hard. | 但是努力工作四倍本身就难了十倍 |
[12:54] | I know it’s not easy, but you gotta hang in there. | 我知道这很难 但是你应该坚持下去 |
[12:56] | They won’t let me. | 他们不让 |
[12:57] | I tried to pitch in at a staff meeting. | 我试图插手员工会议 |
[12:59] | Half the staff thinks I’m only there | 一半的员工觉得我在那里仅仅是 |
[13:01] | to “Increase diversity,” | 为了”增加多元化” |
[13:03] | and they don’t even listen to me. | 他们甚至都听不到我讲话 |
[13:05] | A part of our budget has been set aside | 我们一部分预算被留出 |
[13:07] | to update our teams’ uniforms with our new mascot… | 用于更新我们的队服 因为我们有了新的吉祥物… |
[13:10] | The Ghosts. | 幽灵 |
[13:11] | Great idea. | 好主意 |
[13:13] | What a beautiful tribute | 对于我们学校土地之下的墓园 |
[13:14] | to the graveyard the school’s built on. | 这是多么美好的悼念啊 |
[13:16] | You know what else is scary? | 你们知道还有什么最吓人吗? |
[13:18] | Our school nutrition. | 我们学校的营养 |
[13:19] | I was thinking we could use some of the budget | 我想我们可以拨一些预算 |
[13:22] | for healthy vending machines. | 给健康餐食的自动售货机 |
[13:27] | Off that, I wonder | 下一项 我在想 |
[13:29] | if we should consider putting in healthy vending machines. | 我们要不要考虑投入健康餐食的自动售货机 |
[13:32] | Just spitballing. | 只是随便提提 |
[13:33] | What an interesting idea, Jan. | 这是个有趣的想法 简 |
[13:36] | Thank you, Jan. | 谢谢你 简 |
[13:38] | My goodness! | 我的天呐! |
[13:40] | Excellent work, Jan. | 出色的工作哟 简 |
[13:42] | Okay, not great. | 好吧 不太好 |
[13:44] | But maybe it’s because you’re new. | 但也许是因为你是新来的 |
[13:45] | You have to establish yourself first. | 你必须先树立自己的形象地位 |
[13:46] | I thought that, too, so I tried to distinguish myself | 我也这么想过 所以我试着把自己 |
[13:49] | as something other than “The Asian person.” | 和”那个亚洲人”区分开来 |
[13:52] | Find something else for them to focus on. | 找一些别的特性让他们聚焦 |
[13:54] | Alright, Mr. Buns, here’s the plan. | 好了 兔子先生 以下是咱们的计划 |
[13:56] | We’ll walk into the admin building, | 我们走进行政楼 |
[13:58] | you’ll distract everyone with your cuteness, | 你用卖萌使每个人分心 |
[14:00] | and then I’ll hit them with my plan | 然后我用手段奇袭 |
[14:01] | to start college guidance in the 7th grade. | 让他们给七年级开展大学指导课程 |
[14:04] | Oh! Do you have a bunny because it’s the year of the rabbit? | 你是因为今年是兔年才牵了只兔子吗? |
[14:09] | It makes no sense. | 这毫无道理啊 |
[14:11] | I know it’s about optics, but they’re still paying you. | 我知道你的工作只是表面功夫 但他们仍给你发工资啊 |
[14:13] | You’d think they’d want to use you for something. | 你应该想想他们想利用你做什么 |
[14:15] | Oh, they do. | 他们确实想利用我 |
[14:16] | Alright, any ideas for Hispanic Heritage Month? | 好了 大家对西班牙裔传统月有什么提议吗? |
[14:16] | 在9月15日至10月15日的三十天里,是西班牙拉斯维加斯民族传统月,庆祝那些 祖先来自西班牙、墨西哥、加勒比和中部和南美洲的美国公民的历史、文化和贡献 | |
[14:21] | What if the cafeteria serves tacos? | 让自助食堂提供玉米卷怎么样? |
[14:24] | Is that okay? Culturally? | 这可行吗? 文化上? |
[14:29] | The only reason they want me there | 他们让我在那里的唯一原因 |
[14:31] | is to sign off on anything “Diverse.” | 就是认可任何”多样化” |
[14:33] | To protect themselves. | 来保护他们自己 |
[14:35] | Wow. That’s… | 噫 这… |
[14:38] | I know what you’re going to say. | 我知道你要说什么 |
[14:39] | “As your business consultant, stick it out, | “作为你的商业咨询师 我建议你坚持到底 |
[14:41] | play the long game, stop eating my Slim Jims.” | 打持久战 还有别再吃我的腊肠了” |
[14:43] | No. I say screw them, they don’t deserve you. | 不 我要说去他们的 他们不值得 |
[14:46] | You gotta quit. | 你别干了 |
[14:51] | You want me to quit? | 你想让我辞职? |
[14:53] | What about the long game? | 那持久战呢? |
[14:54] | Ah, it’s just an expression I picked to build you up. | 这就是句鼓励你振作起来的话 |
[14:56] | I could’ve gone with any of them… | 我可以随便说好多… |
[14:58] | “It’s always real dark before dawn,” | “阳光总在暴风雨后” |
[14:59] | “Every cloud has a shiny coating,” | “是钻石总会发光的” |
[15:01] | “Rome took a while.” | “罗马用了好久才建成的” |
[15:02] | “When one door closes, a window opens.” | “上帝为你闭了扇门 也会同时为你打开一扇窗” |
[15:04] | You need to look for another school, | 你可以去找一所 |
[15:05] | where your talents will be appreciated. | 让你的才能有用武之处的学校 |
[15:07] | It’s pointless. | 没用的 |
[15:08] | I researched some other private schools. | 我调查了一些其他的私立学校 |
[15:11] | It’s more of the same. | 都半斤八两 |
[15:12] | This one says “Now with black teachers.” | 这里写着”我们现在有黑人老师了” |
[15:15] | Alright, so, what’s your advice? | 好吧 所以你有什么好主意? |
[15:18] | None. You can’t win. | 没有 你赢不了的 |
[15:19] | I have no Louis Pep Talk for this. | 我没有路式箴言了 |
[15:21] | They’ve got you. You’re stuck between a rock and a hard face. | 他们把你吃得死死的 你现在进退两难 |
[15:23] | Well, what happened to Business Louis? | 那个商海浮沉路易斯哪去了? |
[15:25] | Brutally honest, straightforward, no emotion. | 诚实到残忍 单刀直入 莫得感情 |
[15:28] | He’s dead. | 他死了 |
[15:29] | It kills me to see you lose. | 看到你输了真让我难受 |
[15:30] | I have no answers for you. It’s all so disheartening. | 我没有答案 这一切都让人沮丧 |
[15:38] | Hey, want some Emery Sticks? | 想来点埃默里饼边么? |
[15:42] | Did you bring the trash can over here just for that? | 你把垃圾桶放在手边就是为了干这个吗? |
[15:44] | Worth it. | 值了 |
[15:45] | Hey, my brothers who are definitely not mad at each other | 我的两位绝对没有生对方的气也没有生我的气 |
[15:47] | or mad at me. | 的哥哥 |
[15:48] | Evan, watch out! | 埃文 当心! |
[15:49] | Emery’s imaginary drum kit is there. | 埃默里假装在排练用的鼓在这呢 |
[15:51] | You don’t want to cause a ruckus. | 你可不想搞出杂音的 |
[15:53] | You’re the one who tried to crash my lunch table. | 是你想硬闯入我午餐那桌的 |
[15:54] | Because I felt bad for you. | 因为我对你有愧 |
[15:57] | I didn’t want to sit with you, but Evan said you wanted me to. | 我不想跟你坐在一起 但埃文说你想让我坐过来 |
[15:59] | I never said that. | 我从来没说过 |
[16:01] | You said you didn’t want to hang out with Eddie | 你说你不想和埃迪出去玩 |
[16:03] | because you didn’t want to cramp his style. | 是因为你不想束缚他的行事风格 |
[16:04] | I only said that because I didn’t want to admit | 我说那句话只是因为不想承认 |
[16:06] | I don’t want to hang out with Eddie at school. | 在学校里我不想和埃迪在一起 |
[16:08] | Harsh. But I get it. Same. | 太狠了 但我明白 谁不是呢 |
[16:10] | I’m just bummed that you guys don’t hang out at high school. | 我只是很遗憾你们在高中没有一起玩 |
[16:13] | I know it’s different, | 我知道在学校不一样 |
[16:14] | but I didn’t expect it to be that different. | 但我没想到会有那么不一样 |
[16:16] | Just wait ’til you go to a high school locker room. | 等你去了高中的更衣室就明白了 |
[16:18] | Wall-to-wall butts. | 铺天盖地的屁股 |
[16:20] | We only have one year left with Eddie. | 我们能和埃迪在一起的时间只剩下一年了 |
[16:22] | We shouldn’t squander it. | 我们不应该浪费它 |
[16:24] | Brothers should hang out whenever they can. | 兄弟们应该尽可能多的一起出去玩 |
[16:27] | Wow. He just doesn’t get it. | 行吧 他根本理解不了 |
[16:30] | Maybe we should give him what he wants. | 也许我们应该满足他的要求 |
[16:32] | Some quality brother time. | 给他一些宝贵的兄弟时光 |
[16:37] | Peace offering? | 停战? |
[16:38] | I know it’s symbolic because it was in the trash, but… | 就是个象征性的 毕竟是从垃圾桶里… |
[16:43] | It’s got some trash OJ on it, | 沾上了垃圾桶里的橙汁 |
[16:45] | but it gives it a nice tang. | 但味道不错 |
[16:50] | Well, I guess I should ask you, | 我想我应该问你 |
[16:52] | since you’re my only responsibility. | 毕竟我唯一的责任就是照顾你了 |
[16:53] | Should I quit? | 我应该辞职么? |
[16:56] | But if I kill him, I have to kill everybody. | 但我如果把他杀了 我就得把所有人都杀了 |
[16:58] | Jessica? | 杰西卡? |
[17:00] | We need you. | 我们需要你 |
[17:00] | Our ghost mascot blew up in our face. | 我们的吉祥物幽灵起了反效果了 |
[17:03] | When the marching band threw their sheets over themselves, | 当军乐队把床单披在身上时 |
[17:05] | that was bad enough, | 这本来就很糟了 |
[17:06] | but when they saluted our veterans in the stands… | 但当他们在看台上向我们的退伍军人致敬时… |
[17:08] | ugh, not a good look. | 就更可怕了 |
[17:10] | Very KKK. | 非常可怕 |
[17:10] | KKK 原始字义是指手枪扳机时三步骤声响,为学习射击时的口诀, 现多指美国恐怖主义秘密组织3K党,这里指军乐队披着床单的样子很像3K党 | |
[17:11] | And I don’t mean Spanish for “What? What? What?” | 我指的不是西班牙语的”什么? 什么? 什么?” |
[17:14] | Mm. So, now you need me. | 所以现在你们需要我了 |
[17:16] | Yes. | 对的 |
[17:17] | Any ideas? | 有什么办法么? |
[17:23] | This school has two Indian guys. | 这所学校有两个印度人 |
[17:24] | And I looked it up. One died 30 years ago. | 然后我查了一下 其中一人三十年前就死了 |
[17:26] | Horrific car accident. | 可怕的车祸 |
[17:27] | But they’re still using his photo! | 但他们还在用他的照片! |
[17:29] | Louis, burn those. I’m not quitting. | 路易斯 把那些都烧了 我不辞职 |
[17:31] | What? But you said yourself it’s pointless. | 什么? 但是你自己说没用啊 |
[17:33] | I did. Because it rattled my confidence. | 我是说过 因为我的信心被动摇了 |
[17:36] | But I know who I am and what I can offer. | 但我知道我是谁 我能做什么 |
[17:39] | If they don’t want to listen, that’s on them. | 如果他们不想听 那是他们的事 |
[17:40] | But if I quit, that’s on me. | 但如果我辞职了 就是我的事了 |
[17:43] | My business consultant was right all along. | 我的商业咨询师一直是对的 |
[17:46] | I have to play the long game. | 我必须要打持久战 |
[17:47] | I have to have a seat at the table | 我必须要在这里有一席之地 |
[17:49] | so this doesn’t happen to other people in the future. | 这样以后才不会有别人重蹈我的覆辙 |
[17:51] | ‘Cause chances are, they’re only 1/4 as strong as me. Tops. | 因为机会就在这 他们也就只有我四分之一厉害 最多四分之一 |
[17:55] | That can be a really long game. | 那可会是相当持久的一战了 |
[17:57] | But I’ve got my husband and business consultant | 但我有老公和商业咨询师 |
[18:00] | by my side, right? | 做我的后盾 不是吗? |
[18:01] | – Always. – Good. | – 永远 – 很好 |
[18:03] | Get your things, because it’s happening today. | 拿好你的东西 战争今天就打响了 |
[18:05] | I called a press conference, and I need your help. | 我召开了一场新闻发布会 并且我需要你的帮助 |
[18:07] | I gotta hand it to you, Jessica, | 我不得不佩服你 杰西卡 |
[18:08] | you really speed up the long game. | 你真的加速了这场漫长的战争 |
[18:13] | So, he says, | 于是他说 |
[18:14] | “That’s no quadratic equation. | “那不是二次方程 |
[18:16] | That’s my wife!” | 那是我老婆!” |
[18:21] | What are you guys doing here? | 你们俩怎么来了? |
[18:23] | You said the math team desperately needed members. | 你说数学小组急需成员 |
[18:25] | Plus, brothers are thicker than water! | 再说了 兄弟浓于水! |
[18:27] | So, we’re here to hang, all at school, | 所以我们来陪你 所有在学校的时光 |
[18:30] | just like you wanted. | 就像你希望的那样 |
[18:32] | But this is kinda my thing. | 但这是我自己的事 |
[18:34] | Okay, Mathletes, who’s ready to divide and conquer? | 好了 数动员们 谁准备好各个击破了? |
[18:40] | What is the least common multiple of 4 and 10? | 四和十的最小公倍数是多少? |
[18:44] | π Pi. | |
[18:44] | Wrong. | 错误 |
[18:45] | Damn Emery’s quick pointer finger! | 埃默里的手也太快了! |
[18:47] | Next question… | 下一题… |
[18:48] | Today, Amy’s age is four times Jon’s age. | 今年 艾米的年龄是乔恩的四倍 |
[18:52] | Three years ago, the sum of their ages was 54. | 三年前 他们的年龄之和是五十四 |
[18:55] | How old is Amy today? | 艾米今年多大? |
[18:57] | – Pi. – Who Amy? | – π – 谁是艾米? |
[18:58] | Wrong. | 错误 |
[18:59] | This next one’s an easy one. | 下道题比较简单 |
[19:00] | Solve this equation… | 解这个方程… |
[19:02] | E = MC blank. | E等于MC空格 |
[19:05] | Hammer! MC Hammer. | 汉莫! MC汉莫 |
[19:08] | Wrong. Very wrong. | 错误 大错特错 |
[19:09] | I’d like to take a 2.24 squared. | 我想问2.24的平方 |
[19:12] | π? Pi? | |
[19:13] | A five! | 是五! |
[19:18] | – Okay, I get it. – See, Evan? | – 好了 我明白了 – 看到了吧 埃文? |
[19:20] | Having your brothers up in your business at school | 让你的兄弟们掺和进你学校的事 |
[19:22] | isn’t always fun. | 并不总是有趣的 |
[19:23] | You love Grandma, right? | 你爱奶奶 对吧? |
[19:24] | Does the horizontal asymptote of “Y equals zero” | Y=0的水平渐近线 |
[19:27] | extend to infinity? | 延伸到无穷么? |
[19:29] | It does. I love Grandma. | 是的 我爱奶奶 |
[19:31] | Do you want to spend all your time with her? | 你想随时随地和她在一起吗? |
[19:33] | Even when she’s sorting her bras out by their mileage? | 即使她根据里数为她的胸罩分门别类? |
[19:35] | No. | 不 |
[19:36] | I once had to do the thongs. | 我曾经不得不做丁字裤 |
[19:38] | I guess I do have a lot to learn about high school. | 看来关于高中我还有好多东西要学 |
[19:41] | I just got it! | 我明白了! |
[19:42] | Mathlete! | 数动员! |
[19:43] | Like athlete, but with math. | 就好像运动员 但是是数学上的 |
[19:45] | People are so creative. | 可太有创造力了 |
[19:49] | The school administration | 学校管理层 |
[19:51] | thought that ghosts were “Culturally neutral” | 认为幽灵是”文化中立”的 |
[19:54] | since “Everybody dies,” | 毕竟”人都会死” |
[19:56] | but as long as I am Dean, | 但只要我是院长 |
[19:58] | I ensure the school will never make a mistake like this again. | 我保证学校不会再犯这样的错误 |
[20:05] | And now it’s time for questions. | 下面是提问环节 |
[20:06] | Keep it quick. | 加快速度 |
[20:07] | I know you have other private-school press conferences to attend. | 我知道你们还有其他私立学校的记者招待会要参加 |
[20:10] | Questions? Uh… | 提问? 咱没这个环节… |
[20:13] | Oh, yes, you, handsome man in the Western blazer. | 对 你 这位西装革履的帅哥 |
[20:16] | Uh, Dean Jessica Huang, with your new position, | 杰西卡黄院长 您新入职 |
[20:18] | what plans do you have for the school? | 你对学校有什么计划? |
[20:20] | Mm-hmm. Thank you, random reporter. | 感谢这位随机挑的记者 |
[20:22] | Let me walk you through my extensive list of plans | 让我给你介绍一下在我职责范围内 |
[20:25] | that fall under my job description, | 的一长串计划 |
[20:28] | none of which can be taken away | 没有一样是可以取消的 |
[20:29] | because I’m listing them here publicly today. | 因为我今天要在这里公开列出它们 |
[20:32] | Well, at least I’ll finally find out what a Dean does. | 至少我最后会知道院长是干什么的 |
[20:35] | Long game. | 持久战 |
[20:36] | After that, we’ll discuss the generous raise | 这之后 我们会讨论一下 |
[20:38] | that will be offered to me tomorrow. | 明天给我的大幅加薪 |
[20:40] | Raise? | 加薪? |
[20:41] | And, uh, after-hours use of the pool? | 还有下课后的游泳池使用? |
[20:42] | No more questions. | 停止提问 |
[20:50] | Wait, so there’s a pizza pie, | 所以有比萨饼 |
[20:52] | a fruit pie, and a math pi? | 水果派 还有数学里的π? |
[20:54] | I know, I know, it’s a lot. | 我知道 我知道 真挺多的 |
[20:56] | Why’d they run out of words? | 它们为什么都用一个词? |
[20:57] | Wait, then what pie are they talking about | 等会 那人们说”天空中的派” |
[20:59] | when they say “Pie in the sky”? | 是哪个派? |
[21:00] | Mm, that’s not the phrase. | 不是这个说法 |
[21:01] | It’s “Pie in this guy.” Like in here. | 应该是”心中的派” 在这里面 |
[21:03] | That makes sense, because you eat it. | 这说得通 因为你吃进去了 |
[21:06] | But you don’t eat the math pi. | 但你不吃数学里的π啊 |
[21:09] | Everybody, meet Mr. Buns. | 各位 这位是兔先生 |
[21:13] | He is my assistant, and he will be staying with us | 他是我的助手 在里德校长确保他们在我的办公室里安窗户的这段期间 |
[21:16] | while Principal Reed makes sure they put a window in my office. | 他将和我们住在一起 |
[21:19] | I was afraid to ask who Mr. Buns was this entire time, | 我一直不敢问兔先生是谁 |
[21:22] | and let me tell you, I’m relieved. | 现在我终于松了一口气 |
[21:25] | Aww, he’s so cute. | 他好可爱 |