时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:09] | Good morning, Herr Minister. | 早安 部长先生 |
[01:10] | Good morning, Eric. To the Reichstag, please. | 早安 埃里克 请去国会大厦 |
[01:50] | What are they doing? | 他们在干什么 |
[01:55] | Eric! | 埃里克 |
[01:58] | Walther Rathenau | 瓦尔特·拉特瑙 |
[01:59] | Minister of – Foreign Affairs for the Weimar Republic? | 魏玛共和国的外交事务部长吗 |
[02:02] | – Eric, drive! – Death to the Elders of Zion. | -埃里克开车 -《犹太人贤士议定书》去死吧 |
[02:15] | And this is for ruining Germany | 谁让你摧毁了德国 |
[02:18] | Jew pig. | 犹太猪 |
[02:21] | All right. | 好的 |
[02:27] | Go, go, go, go! | 快走 |
[02:32] | 《犹太周六报》 | |
[02:36] | “一个新的选举谎言” | |
[02:43] | I have a proposition to make. | 我有一个提议 |
[02:45] | Not now, Albert. | 现在不要 阿尔伯特 |
[02:47] | It is an unorthodox idea, but… | 这是一个异端的想法 但是 |
[02:48] | Please be quiet. | 请安静 |
[02:54] | But crazier thoughts of mine have worked – in the past. | 但是我曾经实现过更疯狂的想法 |
[02:56] | Pick me up! | 抱我起来 |
[03:00] | Oh, God. Oh, God! Oh, God! | 我的天啊 天啊 |
[03:03] | God would most likely disapprove of this idea | 上帝可能会不喜欢这个想法 |
[03:06] | but I would convince him. | 但是我会说服他的 |
[03:08] | Move in with me, Betty. | 跟我一起生活 贝蒂 |
[03:38] | You haven’t given me an answer. | 你还没给我答案 |
[03:42] | You’re late for your lecture. | 你的课迟到了 |
[03:44] | My lecture can wait. | 我的课可以等等 |
[03:45] | Fine. | 好的 |
[03:46] | Since you have so much time, shall we address your schedule? | 既然你这么闲我们可以安排一下你的时间表吗 |
[03:49] | The Telegraph, Life Magazine | 《电讯报》 《生命杂志》 |
[03:52] | and the Los Angeles Times have all requested interviews, and | 以及《洛杉矶时报》都希望可以进行采访 |
[03:56] | please don’t forget you invited Minister Rathenau | 请不要忘了你周日邀请了拉特瑙部长 |
[03:58] | to dinner on Sunday. | 参加晚宴 |
[03:59] | Betty | 贝蒂 |
[04:01] | move in with me. | 跟我一起生活 |
[04:04] | You have a wife. | 你有妻子 |
[04:05] | Whom I adore. | 那是我爱慕的人 |
[04:06] | You’re insane. | 你疯了 |
[04:07] | No. | 不 |
[04:09] | I’m quite rational, actually. | 实际上我非常理性 |
[04:12] | Monogamy is not natural. | 一夫一妻制是不正常的 |
[04:16] | It is a construct of religious authority. | 那是神权的产物 |
[04:19] | And a foolish faith in authority, my dear Betty | 亲爱的贝蒂 对于神权愚蠢的忠诚 |
[04:21] | is the worst enemy of truth. | 是真理最大的敌人 |
[04:23] | Truth being that rules don’t apply to you? | 真理就是你不用遵守规则吗 |
[04:27] | I love Mozart and Bach. | 我爱莫扎特和巴赫 |
[04:29] | I love the Swiss Alps and the Baltic Sea. | 我爱瑞士的阿尔卑斯山和波罗的海 |
[04:33] | Why can’t I love you and Elsa? | 为什么我不能爱你和爱尔莎 |
[04:37] | For a man who is an expert on the universe | 对于一位宇宙的专家来说 |
[04:39] | you don’t know the first thing about people, do you? | 你不知道人与人之间最基本的事 对吗 |
[04:43] | No, no, no. | 不 |
[04:44] | Forgive me, Betty. | 原谅我 贝蒂 |
[04:48] | Perhaps… | 也许 |
[04:50] | triangular geometry is not as simple as I’d like it to be. | 三角几何没有我希望得那么简单 |
[05:02] | Professor Einstein’s office. | 爱因斯坦教授的办公室 |
[05:05] | Yeah, one moment, please. | 请稍等 |
[05:06] | It’s Mileva Maric. | 是米列娃·马里奇 |
[05:09] | I can’t. | 我不能 |
[05:11] | Not now. | 现在不能 |
[05:14] | I apologize. The professor is busy. | 对不起 教授很忙 |
[05:16] | May I take a message? | 可以留言吗 |
[05:18] | Yes, Frau. | 好的 夫人 |
[05:20] | She says it’s urgent. | 她说事情很紧急 |
[05:22] | As you said, I’m late for my lecture. | 正如你所言 我上课迟到了 |
[05:26] | What is… | 什么是 |
[05:28] | time? | 时间 |
[05:31] | A deceptively simple question | 一个令人迷惑的简单问题 |
[05:33] | yet it is the key to understanding relativity. | 但是这是理解相对论的关键 |
[05:36] | It is also the reason my hair is going gray. | 也是让我想白了头的原因 |
[05:40] | When we describe motion | 当我们描述运动的时候 |
[05:41] | we do so as a function of time: | 我们把它描述为时间的函数 |
[05:44] | ten meters per second, 100 miles per hour. | 每秒十米 每小时160公里 |
[05:47] | But a mathematical description of velocity is moot | 但是速度的数学描述是没有意义的 |
[05:52] | unless we can define “Time.” | 除非我们可以定义”时间” |
[05:56] | Is time universal? | 时间是不变的吗 |
[05:58] | In other words, is there an audible tick-tock | 换言之 整个宇宙的时间 |
[06:01] | throughout the galaxy? | 都是一样的滴答声吗 |
[06:02] | A master clock, so to speak | 类似一个精密的钟表 |
[06:04] | forging ahead like Mozart’s metronome? | 好比莫扎特的节拍器一样稳步前行 |
[06:08] | The answer, my friends | 我的朋友们 答案是 |
[06:10] | is no. | 否定的 |
[06:11] | Time is not absolute. | 时间不是绝对的 |
[06:14] | In fact, for us believing physicists, | 实际上 像我们这些坚定的物理学家 |
[06:16] | the distinction between the past, present | 过去 现在和未来的区别 |
[06:20] | and future is but a stubborn illusion. | 只是一种根深蒂固的错觉 |
[06:35] | A lot to consider, I know. | 要深思熟虑 我知道 |
[06:40] | I know. | 我知道 |
[06:44] | But understanding time is essential | 但是理解时间是理解相对论的 |
[06:46] | to understanding relativity. | 必要条件 |
[06:49] | Now | 现在 |
[06:51] | I want you all to close your eyes. | 我希望你们闭上双眼 |
[06:54] | Not to worry. I don’t bite. | 不要慌 我不咬人 |
[06:55] | But I am on the lookout for a new pen. | 但是我想要一只新的笔 |
[07:00] | Go on. | 继续 |
[07:01] | Close your eyes. | 闭上你们的眼睛 |
[07:04] | To truly grasp the idea of time | 为了真正理解时间的意义 |
[07:07] | we must take a step back and ask: what is light? | 我们必须退回一步去思考 什么是光 |
[07:11] | So, journey with me to the Sun. | 所以 和我一起去太阳旅行 |
[07:26] | Light travels from the Sun to the Earth through space, yes? | 光通过空间从太阳传到地球 对吗 |
[07:30] | When I was your age, I wanted to know | 当我像你们这么大时 我想知道 |
[07:32] | how can something… light… | 光是怎么 |
[07:34] | travel through nothing… space? | 穿过空间的 |
[07:36] | Let us isolate a light beam and travel alongside it | 我们孤立一道光束并且与它同行 |
[07:41] | but let us go faster. | 但是我们走快一点 |
[07:44] | Are you there with me? | 你们跟上我了吗 |
[07:47] | Faster. Faster! | 再快一点 |
[07:52] | What is time? | 什么是时间 |
[07:56] | Herr Einstein, wake up! | 爱因斯坦先生 醒醒 |
[07:58] | I wasn’t sleeping, sir. I was thinking. | 我没有睡觉 先生 我在思考 |
[08:00] | Oh, really? | 真的吗 |
[08:02] | About what, exactly? | 在想什么 |
[08:05] | The secrets of the cosmos, I suppose. | 我想应该是宇宙的秘密 |
[08:07] | I suggest you think about trigonometry instead. | 我觉得你还是思考一下三角函数吧 |
[08:10] | With your eyes open. | 眼睛睁开想 |
[08:12] | And sit up! | 坐直 |
[08:19] | Laws of Sines and Cosines. | 正弦和余弦定理 |
[08:23] | C-squared equals | c的平方等于 |
[08:24] | A-squared plus B-squared | a的平方加b的平方 |
[08:27] | subtract two-AB-cosine-C. | 减去2倍ab乘以c的余弦值 |
[08:30] | Area of a triangle. | 三角形的面积 |
[08:32] | Area equals C-squared sine-A Sine-B | 面积等于C的平方乘以角A角B的正弦值 |
[08:36] | over two-Sine-C. | 除以两倍的角C正弦值 |
[08:38] | What is the… | 什么是 |
[08:43] | …differential equation? | 微分方程 |
[08:51] | Herr Einstein, are you still too busy | 爱因斯坦先生 你还是忙于 |
[08:54] | contemplating the secrets of the cosmos | 思考宇宙的秘密 |
[08:56] | to solve this equation? | 没时间解开这个方程吗 |
[08:58] | Oh, no, sir. I-I’ve already solved it. | 不 先生 我已经解开了 |
[09:01] | Leave. Now. | 出去 现在 |
[09:03] | On what offense? | 为什么 |
[09:04] | Your mere presence | 你在场 |
[09:06] | spoils the respect of the class for me! | 就是对我的不尊重 |
[09:08] | – That is not an objective reason! – Out! | -那不是客观原因 -出去 |
[09:16] | The natural log of a constant multiplied by X equals | 一个常数的自然对数乘以X等于 |
[09:19] | the natural log of one plus V-squared. | 等于1加V方的和的自然对数 |
[09:22] | And since V equals | 由于V等于 |
[09:23] | Y over X, that gives us the final function: | Y除以X 由此得出最终函数 |
[09:26] | X-squared plus Y-squared | X方加Y方 |
[09:28] | minus C-X-cubed equals zero. | 减去CX立方等于0 |
[09:32] | And speaking truthfully, sir | 而且坦诚地说 先生 |
[09:34] | your mere presence spoils my respect for the future | 您在场毁了我对未来 |
[09:36] | of Prussian mathematics. | 普鲁士人数学的尊重 |
[09:38] | Out. | 出去 |
[09:54] | Boots, pay attention. | 新兵 注意了 |
[10:02] | What do you have to say for yourself? | 你有什么要为自己争辩的吗 |
[10:04] | How do people get pleasure by marching in step? | 走队列是怎么让人快乐的呢 |
[10:07] | It makes me think | 这让我觉得 |
[10:08] | they’ve been given their big brains only by mistake. | 他们的大脑一直都在接收错误的指示 |
[10:10] | Turn around! | 向后转 |
[10:12] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[10:16] | I want you to listen to me very carefully, son. | 我要你仔细听我说 儿子 |
[10:19] | Rebellion will get you nowhere in life. | 叛逆对你的人生没有任何帮助 |
[10:22] | You step on enough toes | 你惹毛了太多的人 |
[10:24] | and I promise you, one day you will trip. | 我敢肯定 总有一天会倒霉的 |
[10:27] | I’m not going to apologize for thinking that… | 我是不会因为有那样的想法而道歉的 |
[10:28] | That’s exactly what you’re going to do. | 你必须要去道歉 |
[10:30] | The headmaster is willing to give you one last chance | 校长愿意给你最后一次机会 |
[10:33] | so I want you to go in there and say you’re sorry. | 我希望你能去那里说句对不起 |
[10:38] | Wait. No, Father, please. | 等等 不 父亲 求您了 |
[10:39] | No, I can’t. | 我不能那么做 |
[10:40] | – You need an education. – I agree! | -你需要接受教育 -我同意 |
[10:43] | But blind regurgitation and rote memorization | 但是盲目的重复和死记硬背 |
[10:46] | is not an education. | 不是教育 |
[10:48] | Let me study on my own, and I promise I’ll make you proud. | 让我自学吧 我保证会让您自豪的 |
[10:52] | How exactly will you do that, huh? | 那你究竟要怎样自学呢 |
[10:54] | Look around you. What do you see? | 看看周围 您看见了什么 |
[10:56] | I see my impudent son. | 我看到了我厚颜无耻的儿子 |
[10:58] | Yes, but what am I made of? Matter. | 是的 可我是由什么构成的 物质 |
[11:00] | And what keeps my feet on the ground? Gravity. | 是什么让我双脚站在地上 重力 |
[11:03] | Albert, i don’t have time for… This is not… | 阿尔伯特 我没时间跟你… 这不是 |
[11:04] | Time, yes, that, too! And light and magnetism. | 对 还有时间 还有光和磁 |
[11:07] | These invisible forces that nobody fully understands. | 没有人完全理解这些不可见的力 |
[11:12] | Where do they come from? What are they made of? | 它们是哪来的 它们是由什么构成的 |
[11:14] | And why do they act as they do? | 它们为什么会遵循自己的规律 |
[11:16] | I want to be the one who solves those mysteries. | 我想做解开这些谜团的人 |
[11:19] | Solving mysteries is not a vocation. | 解谜不是职业 |
[11:21] | But it is. I’m-I’m going to be a physicist. | 怎么不是 我会成为物理学家的 |
[11:23] | No, not without a degree you won’t! | 不 没有学历的话你当不了 |
[11:28] | And if you get thrown out again, I will not be here to save you. | 你要是再被赶出来 我可不来这给你救场 |
[11:31] | – I don’t need saving, Father. – No, I-I don’t… mean that. | -我不需要你救 父亲 -我不是那意思 |
[11:34] | I mean, I will not… be here at all. | 我是说 我不会再来这里了 |
[11:41] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[11:42] | Your mother, sister and I are moving to Italy. | 你母亲妹妹还有我要搬到意大利去 |
[11:52] | Italy? I don’t understand. | 意大利 我不明白 |
[11:54] | – Why? – Well… | -为什么 -因为… |
[11:54] | big demand for street lamps in Milan. | 米兰对路灯的需求很大 |
[11:58] | But what about your business here? | 那您在这的生意怎么办 |
[12:01] | Our business is bankrupt. | 我们的生意破产了 |
[12:08] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 您怎么都不告诉我 |
[12:10] | It is not your concern. | 不关你的事 |
[12:12] | – Let me come with you. Please. – Albert. Albert. | -让我跟您一起走吧 求您了 -阿尔伯特 |
[12:14] | You don’t speak Italian. | 你不会说意大利语 |
[12:15] | How would you expect to go to school? | 怎么去上学呢 |
[12:17] | I’ll learn Italian. I’ll le… | 我会学意大利语的 我会 |
[12:18] | than anyone that had ever learned it before. So… | 比任何人学得都快的 那… |
[12:22] | – So you’re abandoning me? – No | -您这是抛弃我了吗 -不 |
[12:25] | I’m looking out for your future. | 我是在为你的未来着想 |
[12:28] | It’s time you learn to be independent | 是时候该让你学会独立 |
[12:30] | and take responsibility for yourself. | 为自己负责了 |
[12:33] | You will live with your cousins until your studies are complete. | 你会跟你的堂兄一起生活 直到学业完成 |
[12:38] | Now go back to school. | 现在给我回学校去 |
[12:48] | Pauline! | 玻琳 |
[12:49] | Maja! The train will not wait for your hair to be pinned up. | 玛雅 火车是不会等你俩把头发扎起来的 |
[12:52] | Coming. Coming already. | 来了 这不来了吗 |
[13:03] | Albert, I left you two roast hens | 阿尔伯特 我给你留了两只烤鸡 |
[13:06] | green beans and potatoes. | 豆角和土豆 |
[13:08] | and I ordered extra milk delivery to your aunt’s house | 我又多订了一份牛奶 送到你姑姑家 |
[13:11] | – so drink plenty. Come. – I won’t forget to eat, Mother. | -多喝点 -我不会忘记吃饭的 母亲 |
[13:18] | I also left you a few extra marks. | 我还给你多留了些马克 |
[13:20] | Don’t tell your father. | 别告诉你爸 |
[13:22] | It’s not his money, anyway. | 反正也不是他的钱 |
[13:25] | Make us proud. | 让我们为你骄傲 |
[13:29] | Come on, now, we must hurry. | 快走吧 我们得抓紧了 |
[13:31] | This is awful. | 这太难受了 |
[13:33] | I know. How will I ever sleep without your incessant snoring? | 我懂 没有你不停的呼噜声我得怎么睡啊 |
[13:40] | Promise me you’ll write. | 答应我你会给我写信的 |
[13:42] | Of course, Maja. | 当然 玛雅 |
[13:52] | Driver. | 走吧 |
[14:06] | Derivative of logarithmic functions. | 对数函数的导函数 |
[14:08] | The X derivative of natural log X is one over X. | 自然对数X的X导数是X分之1 |
[14:13] | One, two, three, four. | 一 二 三 四 |
[14:15] | Hydrogen. | 氢 |
[14:16] | – One. – Carbon | -一 -碳 |
[14:18] | Twelve. | 十二 |
[14:19] | – Lithium. – Seven. | -锂 -七 |
[14:20] | Nitrogen. | 氮 |
[14:21] | – Fourteen. – J’aille. | – 十四 -我去 |
[14:23] | – Tu ailles. – Come on, come on. | -你去 -来呀来呀 |
[14:24] | Il aille. Nous allions. | 它去 我们曾去 |
[14:26] | Vous alliez. | 你们曾去 |
[14:27] | Ils aillent. | 他们去 |
[14:28] | Double angle formulas. | 二倍角公式 |
[14:30] | sin2θ=2sinθcosθ Sine 2 theta equals 2 sine theta cosine theta. | |
[14:35] | Cosine. | 余弦 |
[14:36] | cos2θ=cos… Cosine 2 theta equals cosine… | |
[14:38] | No! | 不 |
[14:40] | I beg your pardon, Herr Einstein? | 你说什么 爱因斯坦先生 |
[14:43] | I am feeling sick. | 我觉得不舒服 |
[14:44] | I must go. | 我必须走了 |
[14:59] | 60 beats per minute. | 每分钟60下 |
[15:00] | – Normal. – Take my temperature. | -正常 -测测我的体温 |
[15:02] | I already did. It’s normal. | 我测过了 正常 |
[15:03] | – Then take it again. – Albert. | -那再测一次 -阿尔伯特 |
[15:05] | I’m feeling feverish. I may faint. | 我觉得我发烧了 我可能会晕倒 |
[15:06] | You’re fine. | 你没事 |
[15:08] | Then I must have a rash somewhere. | 那我一定是哪里出疹子了 |
[15:09] | Albert, what’s going on? | 阿尔伯特 怎么了 |
[15:11] | I’m not asking as your doctor | 我不是以医生的角色问你 |
[15:12] | but as a friend of your family. | 而是以你家人朋友的身份问你 |
[15:16] | I must leave Germany, Dr. Talmud. | 我必须要离开德国 塔木德医生 |
[15:21] | Your father wants you to stay. | 你父亲想让你留下来 |
[15:22] | My father doesn’t understand me. | 我父亲不理解我 |
[15:25] | Chin up. | 振作起来 |
[15:26] | It’s only two more years. | 还剩两年而已 |
[15:27] | Maybe to you two years feels like the blink of an eye | 也许对你来说两年不过弹指一挥间 |
[15:30] | but to me, it’s an eternity. | 对我却是永恒的 |
[15:32] | I don’t mean that literally, of course. | 当然不是字面意思 |
[15:34] | Everybody knows that time can’t move at two different speeds. | 谁都知道时间不能以两个不同的速度运动 |
[15:39] | What do you want me to do? | 你想让我做点什么 |
[15:44] | Deem me medically unfit to finish school. | 从医学上认定我不适宜完成学业 |
[15:49] | For what reason? | 以什么理由 |
[15:50] | The Prussian malaise? | 在普鲁士不舒服吗 |
[15:52] | Nervous breakdown will do. | 精神崩溃就可以 |
[16:12] | 意大利 米兰 1895年 | |
[16:18] | Spelt, milk, and do not forget the… | 小麦 牛奶 别忘记… |
[16:19] | Eggs. Yes, please, I heard you. | 鸡蛋 拜托 真啰嗦 |
[16:22] | I’m late. Eggs, eggs, eggs. | 我来不及了 鸡蛋 没完没了的鸡蛋 |
[16:24] | I can’t afford to be late. I always ha… | 我可不能迟到 我总是… |
[16:27] | Buongiorno, Papa. | 早上好 爸爸[意大利语] |
[16:31] | That is the extent of my Italian thus far. | 我的意大利语水平仅限于此 |
[16:33] | You were right. It is a difficult language to grasp. | 你说得对 意大利语很难掌握 |
[16:36] | Why are you not in school? | 你怎么没在学校 |
[16:38] | I’ve decided to go to Zurich Polytechnic instead. | 我已经决定要去苏黎世联邦理工学院就读了 |
[16:41] | Zurich Polytechnic? No, no, no, no, no, no, no. | 苏黎世联邦理工学院 不 不行 |
[16:44] | You cannot expect to enter university | 你可别指望不完成学业 |
[16:47] | – without finishing your studies. – They’ll admit me… | -就直接进大学 -如果我通过六月的 |
[16:49] | if I pass the entrance exam in June. | 入学考试他们会录取我的 |
[16:52] | I-I was hoping I could stay here with… | 我想着学习期间能在这 |
[16:54] | with you and Mother and Maja while I study. | 和你 妈妈 玛雅一起住 |
[16:57] | Hermann, who are you talking to? | 赫尔曼 你在和谁说话 |
[16:58] | – Hello, Mother. – Albert. | -你好 妈妈 -阿尔伯特 |
[17:02] | – Hermann, let the boy in. – No. | -赫尔曼 让孩子进来 -不 |
[17:05] | He will go back to Munich immediately | 他要立刻回慕尼黑 |
[17:07] | and finish his studies. | 完成他的学业 |
[17:08] | – And that is an order. – I’m sorry, father | -这是命令 -对不起 父亲 |
[17:10] | but I’m not going back to Germany. | 可是我不会回德国了 |
[17:13] | Ever again. | 再也不会 |
[17:15] | All right, let us all open our eyes… | 好的 让我们全部张开双眼 |
[17:20] | and return to Germany. | 回到德国 |
[17:29] | Here is our traveling light beam. | 这就是我们传播中的光束 |
[17:33] | Now, I will ask you again. | 现在 我要再问你们一遍 |
[17:35] | How can something… light… | 光这种东西 |
[17:36] | travel through nothing… space? | 是如何穿过虚无空间的 |
[17:41] | It cannot, Herr Professor. | 它并不能穿过 教授先生 |
[17:43] | Cannot. Good. | 不能 不错 |
[17:44] | Therefore, if light is only a wave, then… | 那么 如果光线只是一种波 |
[17:47] | Space is not empty? | 空间就不是虚无的吗 |
[17:48] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[17:49] | So just as sound waves travel through air | 所以就像声波通过空气传播 |
[17:51] | light waves must travel through some sort of medium in space. | 光波也需要通过空间中的某种介质传播 |
[17:56] | Scientists called it the ether | 科学家称之为”以太” |
[18:00] | an invisible but all-encompassing substance | 是一种不可见但是包罗万象 |
[18:04] | pervading the universe. | 充斥整个宇宙的物质 |
[18:10] | I believed in it when I was your age. | 我像你们这么大时对此深信不疑 |
[18:13] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[18:14] | I knew everything. | 我那时”无所不知” |
[18:17] | But as it turns out | 但事实证明 |
[18:18] | I was wrong. | 我错了 |
[18:22] | Walther Rathenau is dead. | 瓦尔特·拉特瑙去世了 |
[18:25] | Assassinated in the street. | 在街上被暗杀 |
[18:37] | I just saw him yesterday. | 我昨天还见过他 |
[18:40] | He was coming to dinner on Sunday. | 他周日要来吃晚饭的 |
[18:45] | I’ll get it. | 我来接 |
[18:47] | That’s quite all right, Fraulein. | 正好 小姐 |
[18:48] | If you don’t mind | 如果你不介意 |
[18:49] | I’d like some time alone with my husband. | 我想和我丈夫单独待会 |
[19:00] | Why did you send her away? | 为什么要打发她走 |
[19:01] | I don’t want to be disturbed by the press. | 我不想被媒体打扰 |
[19:03] | I need Betty to answer the phone. | 我需要贝蒂帮我接电话 |
[19:05] | I know why you need Betty. | 我知道你需要贝蒂的原因 |
[19:10] | And that is not the press. It’s Mileva. | 那也不是媒体的电话 是米列娃 |
[19:11] | She’s been calling all morning. | 她打了一早上 |
[19:15] | Why should I talk to her? | 我为什么要和她说话 |
[19:17] | She brings us nothing but misery and pain. | 她给我们带来的只有无尽的苦恼和痛苦 |
[19:18] | We have enough of that as it is. | 我们已经承受得够多了 |
[19:34] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪 |
[19:35] | My study. | 我的书房 |
[19:37] | Please don’t. | 请不要 |
[19:38] | Don’t what? | 不要什么 |
[19:39] | Do what you always do. | 做你一贯做的事 |
[19:41] | Hide in your work. | 埋首于你的工作中 |
[19:43] | Your friend just died. | 你的朋友刚刚去世了 |
[19:47] | You need to grieve. | 你应该哀悼 |
[20:02] | Machine gun… | 机关枪 |
[20:06] | and grenade. | 和手榴弹 |
[20:09] | What sort of animals would do this? | 什么禽兽会如此残忍 |
[20:13] | You know exactly what sort of animals. | 你清楚地知道是什么禽兽 |
[20:18] | Death to the Elders of Zion! | 为了《犹太人贤士议定书》而战 |
[20:24] | Hold. | 停止 |
[20:28] | We die for our ideals! | 为我们的理想献身 |
[21:19] | The revolution is coming | 革命即将到来 |
[21:21] | and Germany will rise again. | 德国会再次崛起 |
[21:44] | Good day, Frau Einstein. | 你好 爱因斯坦夫人 |
[21:46] | Captain Muller. Berlin Police. | 我是穆勒队长 柏林警察 |
[21:48] | Is your husband at home? | 你丈夫在家吗 |
[21:52] | Good day, Herr Professor. | 你好 教授先生 |
[21:55] | It’s an honor to meet you | 很荣幸见到你 |
[21:56] | though I regret the circumstances. | 尽管是在这种情况下 |
[21:58] | I understand you and Minister Rathenau were close. | 我理解你和拉特瑙部长关系很好 |
[22:01] | We were. Thank you. | 是的 谢谢你 |
[22:04] | You may have heard that we located and killed | 你可能听说了 我们找到并处死了 |
[22:06] | Minister Rathenau’s assassins. | 拉特瑙部长的暗杀者 |
[22:07] | Who were they? | 是什么人 |
[22:10] | The members of a fringe group | 是一个叫做”组织执政官” |
[22:11] | called the Organization Consul. | 的激进组织的成员 |
[22:13] | What is your definition of “Fringe,” Captain? | 你是怎么定义激进的呢 队长 |
[22:15] | A hundred members? | 一百个成员 |
[22:16] | Ten members? A thousand? | 十个 还是一千 |
[22:17] | Elsa. | 爱尔莎 |
[22:19] | You’re not here to offer your condolences | 你不是来这表达哀悼之情的 |
[22:22] | are you, Captain? | 是吗 队长 |
[22:24] | No, sir, I’m not. | 是的 先生 我不是 |
[22:27] | In the possession of the assassins | 在暗杀者的遗物中 |
[22:28] | we found a list of targets. | 我们发现了一份目标名单 |
[22:30] | Minister Rathenau’s name was on that list | 拉特瑙部长的名字在名单上 |
[22:32] | and so was yours, Herr Professor. | 你的名字也在列 教授先生 |
[22:36] | These men are part of a larger movement. | 他们是一个更大行动中的一部分 |
[22:39] | I’m afraid it may not be safe for you to remain in Berlin. | 恐怕你继续留在柏林就不安全了 |
[22:52] | I’ll call the movers in the morning. | 我早上会给搬家工人打电话 |
[22:54] | They can have the apartment packed by Friday. | 他们能在周五前打包好公寓的东西 |
[22:58] | We can go to the Baltic Sea for the summer. | 我们这个夏天可以去波罗的海 |
[23:00] | That would give us a chance to consider | 那会给我们机会去考虑 |
[23:01] | a more permanent option. | 更长远的选择 |
[23:05] | Albert, are you even listening to me? | 阿尔伯特 你到底听我说了没 |
[23:11] | We’re not going anywhere, Elsa. | 我们哪也不去 爱尔莎 |
[23:12] | Did you hear what the man said? You’re on a list. | 你听到那个人说的话了 你在名单上 |
[23:14] | The killers are dead. | 那些杀手已经死了 |
[23:15] | – And they have accomplices. – No | -可他们还有同伙 -不 |
[23:17] | I will not kowtow to bullies. | 我不会向恶势力屈服 |
[23:19] | And I will not sit by and wait for fascists to kill my husband. | 我不会坐以待毙 任由法西斯杀害我的丈夫 |
[23:26] | I want to leave, Albert. Please. | 我想要离开 阿尔伯特 拜托 |
[23:30] | You don’t even like Germany. | 你又不喜欢德国 |
[23:32] | This is not about Germany. | 这和德国无关 |
[23:34] | Elsa, this is about my work | 爱尔莎 重要的是我的工作 |
[23:36] | my colleagues at the Academy | 我在学院的同事们 |
[23:38] | our friends, my sailboat | 我们的朋友 我的帆船 |
[23:40] | this apartment. Our life. | 这间公寓 我们的生活 |
[23:43] | It’s all here. It’s home. | 全部都在这里 这里是家 |
[23:46] | That’s what Walther Rathenau thought, too. | 瓦尔特·拉特瑙也是这么想的 |
[23:49] | Walther was killed because he was a politician. | 瓦尔特是因为他的政治家身份被杀 |
[23:52] | I’m only a scientist. | 我只是个科学家 |
[23:53] | And you’re both Jews. | 你们都是犹太人 |
[23:58] | Where on God’s earth would you go? | 你又能去哪里呢 |
[24:00] | I have teaching offers abroad. | 我收到国外的教书邀请 |
[24:02] | Oxford. Princeton. | 牛津 普林斯顿 |
[24:04] | Ha! I’ve known you for over a decade, Albert. | 玩笑 我认识你十多年了 阿尔伯特 |
[24:08] | You despise British formality | 你憎恶英国的中规中矩 |
[24:09] | you despise American exceptionalism. | 还憎恶美国的优越主义 |
[24:12] | I also despise | 我也憎恶 |
[24:13] | German nationalism. | 德国的国家主义 |
[24:14] | So do most Germans. | 大多数德国人也是 |
[24:17] | The country has declared a national holiday | 这个国家为了瓦尔特的葬礼 |
[24:20] | for Walther’s funeral tomorrow, for God’s sake. | 都宣布明天全国休假了 |
[24:23] | Elsa is overreacting. | 爱尔莎反应太过激了 |
[24:27] | Do you know what I find extraordinary | 你知道我发现你身上哪里 |
[24:29] | about you, Fritz Haber? | 与众不同吗 弗里茨·哈伯 |
[24:31] | It might be my brilliant mind | 可能是我聪明的大脑 |
[24:32] | or my scintillating wit, but knowing you | 或四处闪耀的智慧 但以我对你的了解 |
[24:35] | you’re not about to flatter me. | 你是不会奉承我的 |
[24:38] | That you see yourself as one of them, and not as one of us. | 你把自己视为他们的同类 而不是我们中的一员 |
[24:42] | One of us? | 我们中的一员 |
[24:44] | You talk like a Zionist. | 你说话像个犹太复国主义者 |
[24:46] | No, I’m a realist. | 不 我是个现实主义者 |
[24:47] | And I’m a German patriot | 而我是个德国爱国主义者 |
[24:49] | a proud war veteran, and a devout Christian. | 自豪的战争退伍军人 以及虔诚的基督徒 |
[24:52] | Really, Fritz? | 真的吗 弗里茨 |
[24:53] | You’re proud of your military service? | 你对于你的当兵经历感到自豪吗 |
[24:57] | You may have changed your religion, but don’t think | 你可能改变了自己的宗教信仰 |
[24:59] | for a second you can change your heritage. | 但不可能改变你的传统 |
[25:01] | Is that how you really see me? | 你真的这么看我吗 |
[25:04] | As some sort of fraud? | 把我看成是某种骗子 |
[25:06] | No, no. It’s not how I see you that matters. | 不 我怎么看你不重要 |
[25:09] | It’s how men like this Adolf Hitler character see you. | 重要的是像阿道夫·希特勒这样的人怎么看你 |
[25:12] | Adolf Hitler is a loud-mouthed art school reject | 阿道夫·希特勒是个被艺术学院拒收的夸夸其谈的人 |
[25:14] | with a handful of supporters | 在这个拥有六千万人口的国家里 |
[25:16] | in country of 60 million. | 他拥有的支持者只有一小撮 |
[25:18] | He’ll be gone in a year. | 他一年之后就会消失 |
[25:20] | Tell that to the esteemed Professor Lenard. | 把这话对尊敬的勒纳教授说 |
[25:26] | Read it to me. | 念给我听 |
[25:28] | “Albert Einstein | “阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦 |
[25:29] | “should hereby be barred | 不得参与 |
[25:31] | “from attending the annual conference for German science | 德国科学年会 |
[25:34] | “on grounds that his theory of relativity | 因为其相对论 |
[25:38] | offends against the common sense of scientists.” | 与科学家的常识相悖” |
[25:41] | I’m quite certain it took him all the restraint | 我敢肯定他肯定极力地克制自己 |
[25:43] | he could muster not to refer to relativity | 才没有把相对论叫做 |
[25:46] | as a Jewish theory. | 犹太理论 |
[25:48] | Forget Lenard. | 别管勒纳 |
[25:49] | – He’s just jealous of your success. – Perhaps. | -他只是妒忌你的成功 -可能吧 |
[25:52] | But look how many others have signed it. | 但你看多少其他人签了字 |
[25:56] | People are listening to him, Fritz. | 人们听他的话 弗里茨 |
[26:00] | He’s dangerous. | 他很危险 |
[26:02] | Please, Professor Lenard, I beg of you. | 拜托 勒纳教授 我求您了 |
[26:04] | It’s only one day of classes. | 只是一天的课程而已 |
[26:06] | I couldn’t agree more. | 我绝对同意 |
[26:07] | That’s why I’m choosing to teach. | 这就是为什么我选择教书 |
[26:09] | But a national day of mourning has been declared. | 但已经宣布了全国哀悼日 |
[26:12] | The University of Heidelberg must respect it. | 海德堡大学必须遵守 |
[26:15] | A national day of mourning for a Bolshevik Jew | 一个布尔什维克犹太人让我们国家破产 |
[26:18] | who bankrupted our nation and left behind a generation | 还留下了一代失业的青年 |
[26:21] | of jobless young men? No, thank you. | 为他进行全国的哀悼 不了 谢谢 |
[26:25] | The death of Walther Rathenau should be cause for celebration | 瓦尔特·拉特瑙的死应该值得庆祝 |
[26:27] | not mourning. | 而非哀悼 |
[26:28] | – Professor. – No. | -教授 -不 |
[26:29] | This funeral is a garish spectacle | 这场葬礼是像阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦这样的 |
[26:32] | led by left-wing radicals like Albert Einstein | 左翼激进分子为了将德国爱国主义者 |
[26:35] | to paint German patriots as criminals. | 抹黑为罪犯而进行的一场华丽演出 |
[26:38] | Philipp, I’m begging you. | 菲利普 我求你了 |
[26:40] | As your friend. | 站在朋友的立场上 |
[26:41] | Don’t let old skirmishes cloud your vision. | 不要让以前的过节蒙蔽了双眼 |
[26:44] | If that is what you think this is, sir | 如果你这样认为的话 先生 |
[26:46] | then we are not friends. | 我们就不是朋友了 |
[27:12] | Stand! | 起立 |
[27:22] | Gentlemen | 先生们 |
[27:24] | there is a new war festering. | 一场新的战争正在升温 |
[27:27] | A war against reason | 一场关乎理性 |
[27:29] | against clarity | 关乎黑白分明 |
[27:31] | against this very institution. | 关乎整个制度的战争 |
[27:34] | Germany and German physics are under threat. | 德国及其物理学都受到了威胁 |
[27:42] | Quite the turnout for a Jew | 一个犹太人还有这么大场面 |
[27:44] | wouldn’t you say? | 你说是吧 |
[27:46] | Our forefathers based their science | 我们的父辈将科学 |
[27:49] | on experimentation and fact. | 基于实验和事实上 |
[27:51] | Not artificial formulae | 而非武断的定义 |
[27:54] | based on arbitrary definition | 或为了博人眼球 |
[27:57] | or publicity-seeking fabrications | 而捏造空间和时间的 |
[27:59] | of space and time. | 虚假公式 |
[28:02] | Einstein. | 爱因斯坦 |
[28:04] | – Einstein. – Einstein? | -爱因斯坦 -爱因斯坦 |
[28:06] | Einstein. | 爱因斯坦 |
[28:08] | This foreign influence has been | 这种来自国外的影响 |
[28:09] | gaining momentum for far too long. | 已经越来越深远 |
[28:12] | And it is your job | 作为这一伟大国家的未来 |
[28:13] | as the future of this great nation | 你们要担起责任 |
[28:17] | to protect our Aryan respect | 来保护我们作为雅利安人 |
[28:19] | for empirical observation. | 对经验观测的尊重 |
[28:21] | Abstruse theories devoid of reality | 我们的专业领域容不得 |
[28:24] | have no place in our field. | 脱离现实的空洞理论 |
[28:26] | If we do not fight against them, I promise you | 如果我们不打击他们 我向你们保证 |
[28:29] | the foreigner will spread through these hallowed halls | 外国势力会像病毒一样充斥这些神圣的大堂 |
[28:32] | like a virus. And before we have time to react | 等不到我们作出回应 |
[28:35] | German physics will be no more. | 德国物理学将不复存在 |
[28:38] | It is time to stand up, gentlemen. | 是时候站出来了 先生们 |
[28:41] | Stand up for Germany! | 为德国站出来 |
[29:00] | Excuse me. Dr. Einstein? | 不好意思 爱因斯坦博士 |
[29:03] | We would just like to say | 我们想说 |
[29:04] | that we are deeply sorry for the loss of your friend. | 对于您朋友的逝去我们深深地感到遗憾 |
[29:09] | And we want you to know that we are proud | 也想让您知道 我们很荣幸 |
[29:11] | to call men such as Minister Rathenau and yourself | 称呼像拉特瑙部长和您这样的人为 |
[29:15] | our compatriots. | 我们的同胞 |
[29:24] | Nice to meet you, Professor Einstein. | 很高兴认识您 爱因斯坦教授 |
[29:32] | It’s an honor, sir. | 是我的荣幸 先生 |
[29:33] | Rathenau’s killers are German heroes! | 杀死拉特瑙的人是德国英雄 |
[29:36] | Rathenau’s killers are German heroes! | 杀死拉特瑙的人是德国英雄 |
[29:39] | Rathenau’s killers are German heroes! | 杀死拉特瑙的人是德国英雄 |
[29:44] | We should leave. Now. | 我们得走了 马上 |
[29:47] | No. | 不 |
[29:48] | We’re not going home until the funeral is over. | 葬礼结束之前 我们不能回家 |
[29:51] | And we’re not leaving Germany. | 我们也不会离开德国的 |
[29:53] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[29:55] | If we leave… | 要是我们离开了 |
[29:57] | they win. | 他们就赢了 |
[30:00] | Killers are German heroes! | 杀手们是德国英雄 |
[30:04] | 入学考试大厅 苏黎世联邦理工学院 1895 | |
[30:08] | 文学 | |
[30:10] | 法语 | |
[30:17] | 动物学和植物学 | |
[30:19] | 政治 | |
[30:39] | 物理 | |
[30:52] | Herr Einstein? | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[31:03] | – I am Professor… – Weber. | -我是教授… -韦伯 |
[31:05] | Heinrich Weber. Chair of the physics department, I know. | 海因里希·韦伯 我知道您是物理系主任 |
[31:07] | I… I read your paper on heat conduction. | 我拜读了您关于热传导的论文 |
[31:11] | It seems you have read quite a few papers, young man. | 看来你已经看了不少论文 年轻人 |
[31:16] | You passed the mathematics and science sections with flying colors. | 你以优异的成绩通过了数学和科学部分的考试 |
[31:20] | Where did you learn all of this? | 你从哪里学到的那些知识 |
[31:21] | I am self-taught, Herr Professor. | 是我自学的 教授先生 |
[31:24] | That makes sense. | 这就说得通了 |
[31:26] | Why is that? | 为什么 |
[31:27] | Because you failed everything else. | 因为其他科目你全部不及格 |
[31:30] | Literature, zoology, botany, French, politics, to be specific. | 具体包括文学 动物学 植物学 法语和政治 |
[31:35] | That’s… that’s quite a few subjects. | 这可是不少的科目 |
[31:41] | Indeed. | 确实 |
[31:45] | Oh, my father… | 我父亲… |
[31:47] | Can you make an exception, sir? I-I only want to study physics. | 您能破例一次吗 先生 我只想学物理而已 |
[31:50] | No, that is not how a university works. | 不行 大学不能这样偏科 |
[31:52] | But literature is a pastime. | 但文学只是消遣罢了 |
[31:54] | I-I’ve never been to a zoo in my life. | 而我从未去过动物园 |
[31:57] | Botany I place under the same sub-section as literature… bourgeois. | 植物学不过是和文学一样 如此世俗 |
[32:01] | And French, well… | 还有法语… |
[32:02] | Pourquoi, sir? | 为什么[法语] 先生 |
[32:05] | You forgot about politics. | 还有政治呢 |
[32:06] | Politics are frivolous. | 政治多么无足轻重啊 |
[32:07] | They’re only a matter of present concern. | 政治只是关注于眼前 |
[32:09] | But a mathematical equation, Professor, well… that stands forever. | 而数学公式能常存于世 教授 |
[32:19] | I tell you what | 这样吧 |
[32:21] | I am going to bend the rules | 我为你通融一下 |
[32:23] | and invite you to audit my classes | 你可以来我的课堂上旁听 |
[32:24] | and to work in my laboratory. | 在我的实验室进行研究 |
[32:26] | – Will I be an official student? – No. | -那我是正式的学生吗 -不是 |
[32:30] | I need to earn a degree, sir. | 我得取得学位 先生 |
[32:32] | Because without one | 要是没有学位 |
[32:34] | I’ll never be taken seriously as a physicist. | 没人会重视我物理学家的身份的 |
[32:38] | And I’ll never get an office like this, will I? | 并且我永远得不到一间这样好的办公室了 |
[32:45] | There is a good school 25 miles west of here. | 往西走四十公里处有所好学校 |
[32:47] | I know a teacher who will take you in. | 我认识一位能接收你的老师 |
[32:48] | You study for a year | 你在那里学习一年 |
[32:51] | well, you go to a zoo, you learn some French | 去几次动物园 学一点法语 |
[32:53] | and then you’ll come back here | 之后再回到这里 |
[32:55] | and you’ll retake the exam. | 再参加一次入学考试 |
[32:57] | I won’t disappoint you, sir. | 我不会让您失望的 教授 |
[33:07] | 1895 | 瑞士 阿劳 |
[33:41] | – Get the door! – No, you get the door! | -去开门 -不 你去开门 |
[33:43] | – I’m doing homework! – Liar, you’re in the bathroom! | -我在做作业 -骗子 你明明在洗手间 |
[33:45] | – I have cramps! – She always says that. | -我拉肚子了 -她总是这么说 |
[33:47] | Everyone relax. I’ll get it. | 大家别吵了 我去开门 |
[33:53] | Hello. May I help you? | 你好 有什么需要帮忙的吗 |
[33:55] | Yes. I… I am… | 是的 我是… |
[33:58] | Well, spit it out, then. | 快点说呀 |
[33:59] | Buzz off, you gnat. | 旁边去 你这个臭虫 |
[34:01] | Mother! Marie called me a gnat! | 妈妈 玛莉叫我”臭虫” |
[34:03] | I must apologize. | 真是抱歉 |
[34:04] | – Oh, my God. Marie has a boyfriend. – What? | -天啊 玛莉有男朋友了 -什么 |
[34:06] | – In her dreams. – Paul! | -她做梦吧 -保罗 |
[34:08] | I’m so sorry. | 实在抱歉 |
[34:10] | Who are you? Marie’s boyfriend. | 你是谁 “玛莉的男朋友” |
[34:11] | Mathias, shut it. | 马蒂亚斯 闭嘴 |
[34:12] | Marie has a boyfriend? Since when? | 玛莉有男朋友了 什么时候有的 |
[34:15] | Do you have brothers and sisters? | 你有兄弟姐妹吗 |
[34:16] | Anna, you said you couldn’t do dishes because you had cramps. | 安娜 你不是说你因为拉肚子不能洗碗吗 |
[34:18] | I do, but look a real boy. | 是的 但你来看 一个男孩 |
[34:20] | – Who are you? – I already asked him. | -你是谁 -我已经问过了 |
[34:22] | – Yes. Right. I-I am… – Albert Einstein. | -是的 我是… -阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦 |
[34:27] | Your reputation precedes you. | 你可是大名鼎鼎啊 |
[34:29] | Disobedient son, perennial truant | 不听话 长期旷课 |
[34:33] | unrepentant flouter of authority. | 不思悔改地嘲弄权威 |
[34:36] | Please, please, sir, I can explain. | 给我个机会 先生 我可以解释 |
[34:37] | I’m not chastising you. | 我不是在责骂你 |
[34:40] | I’m congratulating you. | 我是在恭喜你 |
[34:42] | We Wintelers respect a true rebel. | 我们温特勒尊重真正的反抗者 |
[34:44] | You are welcome here for as long as you like. | 我们欢迎你的到来 你想待多久都可以 |
[34:47] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢你 先生 |
[34:48] | Julius, Show him in. | 朱利叶斯 带他进来 |
[34:50] | Quick. | 快来 |
[34:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[34:55] | Darling, Albert is here. | 亲爱的 阿尔伯特来了 |
[34:57] | And I quote… | 我记得原话是 |
[35:01] | Understand the things of nature as philosophers | 以哲学家的角度理解自然世界 |
[35:03] | and not to stare at them in astonishment like fools | 而不是像傻瓜一样对其惊讶凝视 |
[35:06] | are soon considered heretical and impious. | 很快便被认为是异端邪说且不虔诚 |
[35:08] | Oh, please, Baruch Spinoza is a buffoon | 拜托 巴鲁赫·斯宾诺莎就是个小丑 |
[35:10] | not a philosopher. | 根本算不上哲学家 |
[35:12] | At least Descartes was a military man. | 笛卡尔至少还是个军人 |
[35:14] | Oh, here we go again. | 又来了 |
[35:15] | Piss off, Anna. | 去你的 安娜 |
[35:16] | – Julius, language. – Fine. | -朱利叶斯 别说脏话 -好吧 |
[35:18] | Albert, eat. | 阿尔伯特 吃饭呀 |
[35:21] | But did you know that Spinoza never taught a day in his life? | 那你知道斯宾诺莎一辈子都不曾教书吗 |
[35:24] | He was a lowly optical lens grinder. | 他不过是个只会磨光学透镜的人 |
[35:27] | Why should someone’s vocation define his intellect? | 怎么能用他人的职业来定义他的智力呢 |
[35:29] | – Well said, darling. – Thank you. | -说得好 亲爱的 -谢谢你 |
[35:31] | Fine, fine, but his treatise on God is hearsay. | 好吧 但他关于上帝的论著不过是谣言 |
[35:34] | “Natura Naturans”? Please. | “自然创造万物” 算了吧 |
[35:36] | And what does it even mean? | 那到底是什么意思 |
[35:37] | It means God and Nature are one and the same. | 意思是上帝和自然是一回事 |
[35:39] | I am a certified teacher now, if you need a Latin tutor. | 你要是需要辅导拉丁语 正好我是认证教师 |
[35:43] | Very funny. | “真有意思” |
[35:44] | Albert may take you up on that. | 阿尔伯特可以教你 |
[35:50] | I will? | 我可以吗 |
[35:52] | Professor Weber tells me you need a little help | 韦伯教授和我说 你在人文学科方面 |
[35:55] | in the humanities. | 需要别人指点一下 |
[35:56] | Is that why you are so silent tonight? | 所以你今晚才这么安静的吗 |
[36:00] | My opinions are usually unwelcome. | 通常我的观点都不太受欢迎 |
[36:02] | Not here, they aren’t. Speak. | 我们不会奚落你的观点 说吧 |
[36:04] | Yes, speak, Albert. We want to hear it. | 是啊 说吧 阿尔伯特 我们想听听呢 |
[36:07] | Speak. Albert, speak. | 说吧 阿尔伯特 |
[36:08] | Yes. We really want to hear it. | 是啊 我们真的很想听听呢 |
[36:22] | From a scientific perspective | 从科学的角度来讲 |
[36:25] | what Marie said is very exciting… | 玛莉说的很让人兴奋 |
[36:27] | – and-and, well, funny enough, – “Very exciting.” | -也很有趣 -“让人兴奋” |
[36:31] | it’s an idea I’ve been considering for a while now. | 这也是我思考了好一阵子的问题 |
[36:34] | 神的力量既是万物存在的原因和支配自然的规律 | |
[36:34] | “Natura Naturans.” | “自然创造万物” |
[36:38] | Everything is connected. | 万物之间均有联系 |
[36:41] | Nature isn’t a product of God | 自然并非由上帝造就 |
[36:43] | nature is God. | 自然本身就是上帝 |
[36:45] | And if we suppose that’s true, well, then, we must conclude | 如果我们假定这是正确的 |
[36:49] | the universe isn’t some mystical netherworld | 那么就可以得出宇宙并非什么 |
[36:52] | outside our grasp of understanding. | 超乎我们认知的神秘阴间的结论了 |
[36:55] | From the smallest molecule to the largest galaxy… | 上至最大的星系 下至最小的分子 |
[36:58] | every question must have a definable answer. | 每一个问题都有可定义的答案 |
[37:02] | And, well | 而且 |
[37:04] | I intend to find those answers. | 我就想要找到这些答案 |
[37:08] | Well, that is the most hedonistic thing | 这是我今晚听到的 |
[37:11] | I have heard all night. | 最让人快乐的事情了 |
[37:13] | Show us a bit of respect, Julius. | 尊重一下我们 朱利叶斯 |
[37:14] | – Julius, don’t be rude. – There are no more potatoes. | -朱利叶斯 别这么无礼 -没有土豆了 |
[37:18] | Thank you so much. | 谢谢 |
[37:47] | Newton’s second law of motion. | 牛顿第二定律 |
[37:50] | You all know it | 你们都知道 |
[37:51] | but as we delve deeper into Newtonian mechanics | 但随着我们更加深入地了解牛顿力学 |
[37:54] | I need you to more than “know” it. | 我要你们不止达到”知道”这个层次 |
[37:58] | I need you to be able to see it. | 我要你们能看见它 |
[38:01] | So when I ask, what is acceleration? | 所以当我问 什么是加速度时 |
[38:04] | Don’t immediately think “numbers.” | 不要马上想到”数字” |
[38:06] | Instead, close your eyes… | 相反 你要闭上眼睛 |
[38:12] | Good. | 很好 |
[38:14] | And imagine a ball | 想象着有一个球 |
[38:16] | being shot across the sky. | 被射向天空 |
[38:19] | Now imagine an identical ball in outer space | 现在又想象在外太空有一个同样的球 |
[38:23] | racing with the ball on Earth, with the same force applied. | 和地球上的球比赛 两者受同样的力 |
[38:27] | Which ball would win a race? | 哪个球会赢 |
[38:31] | You don’t need to raise your hand to speak here, Albert. | 我们这儿回答问题不需要举手示意 阿尔伯特 |
[38:35] | Oh. Really? Well… | 真的吗 |
[38:39] | Uh, the ball in outer space would win | 是外太空的那个球赢 |
[38:41] | ’cause it’s travelling in a vacuum. | 因为它在真空中运动 |
[38:43] | But I have another question. | 但我有另一个问题 |
[38:46] | Go on. | 说吧 |
[38:49] | Now I’m imagining | 我现在在想象 |
[38:50] | that the ball is traveling in deep space… | 那个球是在外太空运动 |
[39:00] | with… | 而且 |
[39:12] | with no stars or planets around it. | 周围没有任何行星或星球 |
[39:16] | Acceleration is the derivative of velocity | 加速度是 |
[39:19] | with respect to time. | 速度对时间的导数 |
[39:22] | How do we know that the ball is moving at all | 当没有参照物的时候 |
[39:25] | if there’s nothing to compare its motions to? | 我们怎么知道球在运动 |
[39:28] | In other words… | 换句话说 |
[39:32] | what is time? | 时间是什么 |
[39:35] | And for that matter… | 就此而言 |
[39:39] | what is space? | 空间又是什么 |
[39:43] | Newton’s Principia, Volume One: | 牛顿定律 第一卷 |
[39:45] | “Absolute, true, and mathematical time, of itself | “绝对 真正而数学的时间 就其本身 |
[39:48] | and from its own nature, flows…” | 及本身具有的性质而言 稳定地…” |
[39:49] | “Equitably without relation to anything external.” | “稳定地流动 与任何外物无关” |
[39:52] | Time and space are absolute, I know. | 时间与空间是绝对的 我知道 |
[39:53] | Yes, well, then, let’s move on. | 是啊 那么我们继续吧 |
[39:55] | But when pressed on the subject of absoluteness | 但当继续探讨绝对性的概念时 |
[39:57] | Newton said, “The Deity endures forever | 牛顿说 “神是永生的 |
[40:01] | and by existing always and everywhere | 神无时无刻无处不在 |
[40:04] | he constitutes duration and space.” | 他构成了时间与空间” |
[40:08] | Which, in short, is saying… | 简而言之 他的意思是… |
[40:10] | “I have no idea, but God must, so there.” | “我也不清楚 但上帝一定是存在的” |
[40:20] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[40:21] | I-I know. I sh… I should go. | 我知道 我得出去 |
[40:22] | Sit down. | 坐下 |
[40:27] | Well, it looks like we are going | 看来接下来这一年里 |
[40:29] | to have an interesting year. | 我们会过得十分有趣了 |
[40:39] | So let us move on to the next chapter. | 我们讲下一章吧 |
[40:42] | When we are looking at Newton and some of his other ideas… | 当我们在探讨牛顿和他的一些其他想法时 |
[40:45] | – Here you are, sir. – Thank you. | -给你 先生 -谢谢 |
[40:47] | “The surest way to corrupt a youth | “腐化年轻人的最佳途径 |
[40:49] | is to hold in higher esteem those who think alike | 就是重视那些毫无创新想法的人 |
[40:51] | than those who think differently.” | 而忽视了不落窠臼的人” |
[40:55] | Nietzsche? | 尼采[哲学家]吗 |
[40:56] | Excellent. | 是的 |
[40:58] | “If you step on enough toes, one day you’ll trip.” | “欺人者 人恒欺之 被人者 人恒被之” |
[41:02] | Confucius? | 孔子的理论吗 |
[41:03] | Close. My father. | 接近了 是我爸说的 |
[41:04] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[41:06] | A letter for you. Looks official. | 有你的信 看起来挺官方的 |
[41:09] | I don’t believe it. | 我不信 |
[41:10] | What is it? | 这是什么 |
[41:17] | 皇家符腾堡政府 | |
[41:20] | My application to renounce my German citizenship. | 放弃德国国籍的申请书 |
[41:27] | It’s been approved. | 申请通过了 |
[41:29] | I’m officially stateless. | 我正式成为无国籍人士了 |
[41:30] | So now you have no passport? | 所以你现在没有护照吗 |
[41:32] | That seems reckless. | 有点鲁莽啊 |
[41:34] | Why would you do that? | 为什么你要这么做 |
[41:36] | Because nationalism is an infantile disease. | 因为国家主义就像小儿病 |
[41:39] | The measles of mankind. | 像人类的麻疹般 |
[41:40] | Where on Earth did you get such an idea? | 你从哪来的这个想法 |
[41:44] | Papa, you didn’t. | 爸爸 不是你吧 |
[41:46] | I’m proud of you, Albert. | 我以你为傲 阿尔伯特 |
[41:48] | Now you are a citizen of the world. | 现在你是世界公民了 |
[41:50] | – Let us celebrate. – Sorry, that will have to wait. | -我们来庆祝一下吧 -抱歉 那要等会了 |
[41:52] | Albert and I have work to do. | 我和阿尔伯特有事要忙 |
[41:54] | “And though she be but little, she is fierce.” | “虽然她这么小巧玲珑 但厉害得很啊” |
[41:56] | William Shakespeare. | 威廉·莎士比亚 |
[41:57] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[42:00] | Bien. | 好的 |
[42:01] | Futur simple | 简单将来时 |
[42:03] | j’aurai | 我有 |
[42:04] | Tu auras | 你有 |
[42:06] | Il ou elle aura | 他 她有 |
[42:08] | Nous aurons | 我们有 |
[42:10] | Are you listening to me? | 你有在听我说话吗 |
[42:11] | Of course. | 当然有啊 |
[42:13] | You were sleeping. | 你在睡觉 |
[42:14] | I wasn’t. I promise. | 没有 我保证 |
[42:15] | I was having the most wonderful thought. | 我在思考一个奇妙至极的问题 |
[42:19] | Oh, yes? And what was that? | 是吗 是什么 |
[42:21] | It’s been bothering me for over a year now. | 这问题困扰了我一年多了 |
[42:24] | How does something… travel through nothing? | 为什么物体能在真空中运动 |
[42:29] | What are you talking about, Albert? | 你在说什么 阿尔伯特 |
[42:31] | I… I-I imagined I was riding | 我 我想像我正驰骋在 |
[42:35] | alongside a light beam. | 一道光束旁 |
[42:38] | Guess what happened? | 你猜会发生什么 |
[42:40] | I have no idea. | 不知道 |
[42:42] | Let me show you. | 我展示给你看 |
[42:43] | Come. | 来 |
[42:46] | Come on! | 快来 |
[42:48] | Come! | 来吧 |
[42:53] | Imagine I’m a light beam | 想像我是一道光束 |
[42:54] | traveling to Earth. Now catch me! | 射向地球 追上我 |
[42:57] | How fast must we go? | 我们要骑多快 |
[42:58] | About 300,000 kilometers a second. | 大约每秒三十万千米 |
[43:01] | Albert! You are mad! | 阿尔伯特 你疯了 |
[43:02] | No, I’m a wave. | 不 我是一道波 |
[43:04] | Traveling through the ether. | 穿过太空 |
[43:05] | Come on! | 快来 |
[43:09] | Come on! | 快来 |
[43:11] | Catch me! | 追上我 |
[43:36] | As you catch up to me | 你追上我的时候 |
[43:38] | the strangest thing happens: | 最奇怪的事发生了 |
[43:39] | I appear to slow down. Am I right? | 我似乎慢下来了 对吧 |
[43:46] | But here is the best part… | 但最棒的是 |
[43:48] | When you are traveling the speed | 你以光速行驶在波的旁边 |
[43:50] | of light alongside the wave… me… | 也就是我的旁边时 |
[43:53] | I appear… | 我似乎 |
[43:56] | frozen in time. | 在时间中静止了 |
[43:59] | Is that it? | 是吗 |
[44:00] | Well, so far, yes. | 目前看来是这样的 |
[44:55] | 德国柏林 1932年 | |
[45:37] | Have you read this? | 你读过这个了吗 |
[45:40] | Yes. | 嗯 |
[45:42] | Hitler didn’t win. | 希特勒没有赢 |
[45:44] | He won 230 seats. | 他赢了230席 |
[45:47] | That’s almost a majority. | 几乎占多数了 |
[45:48] | Elsa, please. | 爱尔莎 拜托 |
[45:50] | Not now. | 现在别说这个 |
[45:51] | Albert, you’ve been saying “Not now” | 阿尔伯特 十年来你一直都在说 |
[45:52] | for ten years. | “现在别说这个” |
[45:53] | You know why? | 你知道为什么吗 |
[45:55] | Because my old friend Sir Isaac Newton | 因为我的老朋友艾萨克·牛顿爵士 |
[45:57] | was really right about some things. | 还真说对了几件事 |
[45:59] | An object at rest really does tend to stay at rest. | 静止的物体确实倾向于静止 |
[46:02] | Albert, this is not a joke. | 阿尔伯特 这不是开玩笑 |
[46:06] | Where are you going? | 你要去哪里 |
[46:07] | – I need tobacco. – No. | -我要买烟 -别去 |
[46:09] | I-It’s not safe. I’ll send someone. | 那不安全 我让别人去买 |
[46:12] | I’m an able man. | 我四肢健全 |
[46:13] | And I am scared. | 可我很害怕 |
[46:16] | When Walther was murdered | 瓦尔特被杀的时候 |
[46:18] | you chose to stay, and I accepted. | 你选择留下 我没意见 |
[46:20] | It was brave and defiant. | 那是很勇敢且具有挑战性的举动 |
[46:22] | But this is different. | 但现在不同了 |
[46:25] | Enough already, Albert. | 已经够了 阿尔伯特 |
[46:27] | Everything is fine. | 一切都没事的 |
[46:29] | Hitler did not win. | 希特勒没有赢 |
[46:49] | 希特勒 | |
[46:50] | 日耳曼尼亚州 | |
[46:57] | One loaf per family. | 每家一条面包 |
[46:59] | Move along. One loaf per family. | 向前走 每家一条面包 |
[47:03] | Keep moving. | 继续走 |
[47:04] | Afternoon, Ernst. | 下午好 恩斯特 |
[47:06] | I took your advice and listened to Erik Satie. | 我听了你的意见 听了埃里克·萨蒂的乐曲 |
[47:11] | Little too French for me, but you were right. | 对我而言有点太法国风了 但你说得对 |
[47:15] | His ability to evoke complex emotions | 他能够以简单的旋律激起 |
[47:18] | with simplicity is remarkable. | 人们的复杂情绪 太不可思议了 |
[47:20] | Though I must admit I am surprised | 不过我得承认 我很惊讶 |
[47:23] | that a Wagnerian such as yourself | 像你这样的瓦格纳乐迷 |
[47:25] | should enjoy experimental minimalism. | 居然会喜欢听极简主义的实验音乐 |
[47:32] | Is everything all right, Ernst? | 你没事吧 恩斯特 |
[47:35] | Yes, Professor. Of course. | 是的 教授 当然没事 |
[47:38] | Well, that will be all for today. | 今天就买这些吧 |
[47:41] | Elsa has me cutting back. | 爱尔莎削减了我的花销 |
[47:50] | 《我的奋斗》 | |
[47:55] | It is only because my customers requested them. | 因为顾客有需求 我才进了这本书 |
[47:59] | Everyone has a choice, Ernst. | 每个人都有权选择 恩斯特 |
[48:19] | Oh, no. | 糟了 |
[48:20] | – Damn it. – Oh, no, no, no, no. | -该死 -不不不 |
[48:22] | Dear God, Jakob, not now. | 老天 雅各布 别又搞砸了 |
[48:23] | Patience. | 耐心点 |
[48:24] | No, no, no. I have to deliver this by Monday | 不不不 我周一前必须交货 |
[48:25] | or I don’t get paid. | 不然就拿不到钱了 |
[48:26] | I’ll fix it. | 我会修好 |
[48:28] | Your induced voltage is too high. | 你感应电压加得太高了 |
[48:30] | Thank you, nephew. | 谢谢你提醒 侄子 |
[48:32] | That is obvious. | 那很明显啊 |
[48:34] | Energy equals magnetic field times length of conductor. | 能量等于磁场乘以导体长度 |
[48:37] | Times velocity of conductor. | 乘以导体速度 |
[48:39] | I don’t need a physics lesson. | 我不需要听物理课 |
[48:42] | I need to get the damn rotor spinning at the correct speed. | 我需要让这该死的轮子以正确速度旋转 |
[48:44] | So why not shorten the length of the conductor | 那为什么不缩短导体长度 |
[48:47] | instead of trying to change the speed of the rotor? | 反而试图改变轮子的速度呢 |
[48:50] | How the hell do we do that? | 我们怎么可能做到 |
[48:53] | Wire cutters. | 拿剪钳给我 |
[49:23] | Try it now. | 现在试试看 |
[49:49] | I think the patient will survive. | 我想”病人”会活下来的 |
[49:55] | You should have seen him, Pauline! | 你应该看看他当时的样子 玻琳 |
[49:56] | He’s here for one week… | 他才来了一周 |
[49:57] | one week… and he fixes all our problems. | 一周而已 就解决了我们所有的问题 |
[50:01] | We should have school vacations more often. | 学校应该更经常放假才是 |
[50:04] | Albert. Albert. | 阿尔伯特 阿尔伯特 |
[50:06] | I’m very proud of you. | 我真以你为傲 |
[50:09] | Thank you, Father. | 谢谢你 父亲 |
[50:12] | How is Marie, darling? | 玛莉好吗 亲爱的 |
[50:14] | Wonderful. | 很好 |
[50:15] | She sends her regards. | 她让我替她向你们问好 |
[50:16] | She’s teaching me French. | 她最近在教我法语 |
[50:17] | I bet she’s teaching you more than that. | 她教你的肯定不止法语 |
[50:19] | Maja, please. | 玛雅 注意点 |
[50:22] | I’ve been corresponding with her mother. | 我一直有跟她母亲通信 |
[50:25] | Everyone is quite excited. | 大家都很高兴 |
[50:26] | – Excited? About what? – The courtship, of course. | -高兴什么 -当然是你们的恋爱 |
[50:29] | The potential of it. | 有没有可能结成正果 |
[50:30] | Albert, your Uncle Jakob | 阿尔伯特 你叔叔雅各布 |
[50:31] | was mentioning how we could use another gifted engineer | 提到我们公司还需要一位有天赋的 |
[50:34] | – in our company. – I’ve been saying that for years. | -工程师 -这件事我已经说了好几年了 |
[50:36] | I’m sure Marie would love Milan. | 玛莉肯定会爱上米兰的 |
[50:38] | The food, the fashion. | 美味的食物 引领世界的时尚 |
[50:40] | We could even help them rent a nice apartment | 我们还可以帮他们租一套漂亮公寓 |
[50:42] | couldn’t we, Hermann? | 对吧 赫尔曼 |
[50:43] | Mother, I appreciate your interest, and I adore Marie | 母亲 谢谢您的好意 我也很喜欢玛莉 |
[50:46] | but I’m not ready for marriage | 但我还没准备好结婚 |
[50:48] | and I don’t plan on moving to Milan. | 我也没打算搬来米兰 |
[50:50] | Not immediately, of course. I mean, obviously you would have | 当然不是现在 你肯定得 |
[50:52] | to finish your engineering studies first. | 先拿到你的工程师学位 |
[50:54] | I’m sorry, Father | 抱歉 父亲 |
[50:55] | but I-I have no intention of becoming an engineer. | 但我不打算成为工程师 |
[51:01] | Such an aptitude for it. | 可你这么有天赋 |
[51:02] | Maybe, but I can’t bear the thought | 也许吧 可我不能接受 |
[51:04] | of having to spend my creative energy | 将自己的创造力花在 |
[51:07] | making practical, everyday life | 制造产业上 每天的生活 |
[51:09] | more refined for-for the sole purpose of capital gain. | 都只有唯一的目标 为了增加收支 |
[51:12] | – It’s… – Dear God. What in God’s name | -这… -我的天啊 |
[51:15] | have they been teaching you in Switzerland? | 他们在瑞士到底教了你什么 |
[51:17] | You sound like a communist. | 你说的话像个共产主义者 |
[51:18] | I’m not a communist, I’m an Internationalist. | 我不是共产主义者 我是国际主义者 |
[51:21] | Inter… What the hell is that supposed to mean? | 国际… 这到底算是什么意思 |
[51:22] | I wouldn’t expect you | 我不期望你 |
[51:23] | – to understand. – Really? Oh, why? | -能够理解 -是吗 为什么 |
[51:24] | Because I’m not as brilliant as you, I suppose? | 因为我不如你聪明吗 |
[51:26] | Hermann, please don’t. | 赫尔曼 别这样 |
[51:27] | – May I be excused? – No. | -我能先离席吗 -不行 |
[51:29] | Tell me, my son, the genius. | 说啊 我的天才儿子 |
[51:31] | Yeah, how do you propose to make a living without a job? | 你没有工作要怎么生活 |
[51:33] | I’ve told you before. | 我以前说过了 |
[51:34] | I’m going to be a professor. | 我要做教授 |
[51:36] | I will think | 我要为了思考 |
[51:37] | for thinking’s sake. | 而思考 |
[51:37] | That is the most indulgent thing | 这是我听过的 |
[51:39] | I’ve ever heard. | 最任性的想法 |
[51:40] | I’m sure from your bourgeois perspective | 从你中产阶级的角度来看 |
[51:42] | it would seem indulgent. | 这当然很任性 |
[51:43] | What? My bourgeois per… | 什么 我中产阶级的角… |
[51:44] | But I’m going to Zurich Polytechnic. | 我要去苏黎世联邦理工学院 |
[51:46] | Y-You failed your entrance exam. | 你入学考试都没通过 |
[51:49] | I won’t fail again. | 我不会再失败了 |
[51:50] | – Stop it, both of you. – Who do you think’s | -你们两个都别吵了 -你觉得谁会 |
[51:51] | gonna pay for this Zurich Polytechnic, huh? | 帮你付苏黎世联邦理工学院的学费啊 |
[51:53] | The same people who pay for you | 就是那些付钱让你 |
[51:55] | to keep plundering your businesses into the ground. | 不断扩张生意的人 |
[51:58] | Mother’s family. | 母亲的家里人 |
[51:59] | That’s who. | 就是他们 |
[52:00] | Like hell they will. | 说得像真的一样 |
[52:01] | They’ve already agreed. | 他们已经同意了 |
[52:04] | Did you arrange this? | 是你安排的吗 |
[52:05] | No, no. | 不 不是 |
[52:06] | It was entirely my doing. | 完全是我个人的行为 |
[52:08] | When you left me behind in Germany | 你把我一个人丢在德国 |
[52:10] | you told me to be independent | 告诉我要独立 |
[52:12] | to take responsibility for myself. | 要对自己负责的时候 |
[52:14] | At first, I thought you were being cruel | 起初 我觉得你很残忍 |
[52:15] | but now I see you did me a great service. | 可现在 我明白你做了件大好事 |
[52:18] | You were right. | 你说得对 |
[52:20] | My future is mine and mine alone | 我的未来是我的 只属于我 |
[52:22] | so I must take charge of it. | 所以我必须全权负责 |
[52:27] | Thank you for the lovely holiday, Mother. | 谢谢你们让我度过了美好的假期 母亲 |
[52:29] | Maja. | 玛雅 |
[52:32] | Oh, don’t leave like this, Albert. | 别就这么走了 阿尔伯特 |
[53:00] | 法语 | |
[53:38] | Physics, pass. | 物理学 通过 |
[53:40] | Mathematics, pass. | 数学 通过 |
[53:43] | Zoology, botany, literature… | 动物学 植物学 文学… |
[53:48] | pass. | 都通过 |
[53:50] | Oh, which brings us to French. | 现在我们来看看法语 |
[53:52] | Specifically, your essay. | 具体地说是你的论文 |
[53:54] | And, uh, oh, I translate: | 我翻译一下 |
[53:57] | “I will enroll in Zurich Polytechnic. | 我将进入苏黎世联邦理工学院 |
[53:59] | “I will stay there four years and study physics | 我将在那里待四年 学习物理 |
[54:01] | “and mathematics. | 和数学 |
[54:03] | “I suppose I will become a teacher in these fields | 我想我会成为这些领域的老师 |
[54:05] | focusing on the theoretical parts.” | 专注于理论部分 |
[54:11] | Your vocabulary is elementary, the syntax simplistic | 你的词汇很基础 语法也很简单 |
[54:13] | you did not use the future simple. | 你没有使用一般将来时 |
[54:23] | But I think it is an excellent plan. | 不过 我觉得你的计划非常好 |
[54:26] | Welcome to Zurich Polytechnic. | 欢迎加入苏黎世联邦理工学院 |
[54:30] | Thank you, sir, thank you. | 谢谢你 先生 谢谢 |
[54:33] | Good-bye, Albert. | 再见 阿尔伯特 |
[54:35] | I’m so proud of you. | 我真为你骄傲 |
[54:39] | – Safe travels. – Albert, come here, son. | -旅途平安 -阿尔伯特 过来 孩子 |
[54:44] | Don’t let those academic fools in Zurich change you, Albert. | 别让那些苏黎世的学院派傻瓜改变你 阿尔伯特 |
[54:47] | Their knowledge is their weakness, while your imagination | 他们的知识正是他们的弱点 而你的想象力 |
[54:49] | is your strength. | 才是你的优势 |
[54:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[54:52] | Thank you for everything. | 感谢你为我做的一切 |
[54:58] | Well… | 好吧 |
[55:01] | …have a safe journey. | 祝你旅途平安 |
[55:10] | – Marie, wait! – Just go, Albert. | -玛莉 等等 -走吧 阿尔伯特 |
[55:11] | Please! | 求你 |
[55:16] | Marie, I’m going to write to you. | 玛莉 我会给你写信 |
[55:19] | And Zurich’s not that far. | 苏黎世也不是很远 |
[55:21] | – I’ll visit. – It’s all right. | -我会来看你 -没事的 |
[55:23] | I am happy for you. | 我为你高兴 |
[55:25] | You’re going to do great things. | 你会成就一番大业的 |
[55:31] | I’ll… I’ll find a formula to freeze time | 我会找出冻结时间的公式 |
[55:33] | you won’t even know I’m gone. | 你就不会知道我走了 |
[55:36] | What a lovely thought. | 这想法真美好 |
[55:49] | …true example | 这个国家年轻人 |
[55:50] | of this nation’s youth… | 真正的榜样 |
[55:51] | selfless, strong, courageous… | 无私 坚强 勇敢 |
[55:54] | then sign up! | 来报名吧 |
[55:55] | We must rise against the Weimar Republic! | 我们一定要站起来反抗魏玛共和国 |
[55:57] | Rise against the conniving | 反抗纵容 |
[55:59] | – corrupt, and conquering Jew! – Excuse me! | -反抗腐败 战胜犹太人 -借过 |
[56:01] | You’re disrupting our business. | 你们打扰我们做生意了 |
[56:03] | – Could you… – We have an agitator! | -你能不能… -我们在鼓舞人心 |
[56:05] | This is our livelihood! | 这是我们的生计 |
[56:06] | Get your swine hands off of me! | 把你的脏手拿开 |
[56:08] | I said stand back! | 我说了 退后 |
[56:10] | – Leave Germany! – You have no right! | -离开德国 -你没有权利 |
[56:16] | Lousy Jew! | 恶心的犹太人 |
[56:17] | Stay down! | 趴下 |
[56:18] | You better get down | 给我趴下 |
[56:19] | you dirty Jew! | 肮脏的犹太人 |
[56:22] | We should stop this. | 我们得制止他们 |
[56:24] | Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! | 康普 康普 康普 |
[56:27] | Stop! | 住手 |
[56:27] | Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! | 康普 康普 康普 |
[56:30] | Albert Einstein? | 阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦 |
[56:35] | Herr Einstein! | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[56:37] | Herr Einstein! | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[56:40] | Herr Einstein! | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[56:45] | Stop! | 别走 |
[56:47] | May I have… | 你能不能… |
[56:48] | your autograph, sir? | 给我签个名 先生 |
[56:56] | I’m sorry, young man, I… | 抱歉 年轻人 我… |
[56:58] | seem to have lost my pen. | 好像把笔给丢了 |
[57:00] | Bruno! Back here now! | 布鲁诺 回来 |
[57:02] | When I grow up, I want to be a scientist, just like you. | 我长大以后 想和你一样成为科学家 |
[57:05] | Germany Heil! | 德国万岁 |
[57:13] | Elsa. | 爱尔莎 |
[57:14] | Elsa. | 爱尔莎 |
[57:18] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[57:20] | It’s time. | 是时候了 |
[57:29] | I’ll, um… | 我… |
[57:31] | I’ll call Princeton. | 我去打电话给普林斯顿大学 |
[57:43] | 苏黎世联邦理工学院 1896年 | |
[58:16] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[58:17] | For what? | 为什么道歉 |
[58:18] | I must have the wrong room. | 我肯定是走错教室了 |
[58:19] | What class are you looking for? | 你在找哪一个学科 |
[58:22] | Physics. Good day. | 物理课 再见 |
[58:24] | Tell me, do you know Empedocles? | 告诉我 你认识恩培多克勒吗 |
[58:24] | 古希腊哲学家 修辞学家 诗人及医生 | |
[58:27] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[58:29] | Empedocles. | 恩培多克勒 |
[58:31] | The pre-Socratic philosopher who studied cosmogony. | 研究宇宙进化论的苏格拉底前古希腊哲学家 |
[58:34] | – As I said, I am in… – Physics. | -我说了 我在找… -物理课 |
[58:37] | Yes, you made that quite clear. | 是的 你说得很清楚 |
[58:39] | Cosmogony is the study of the origins of the cosmos. | 宇宙进化论是研究宇宙的起源 |
[58:42] | And Empedocles, he was the first known person | 而恩培多克勒是首位 |
[58:46] | to ask the simple question, what is light? | 提出这个简单问题的人 光是什么 |
[58:49] | I’m sorry, who are you? | 抱歉 你是谁 |
[58:50] | 古希腊神话中的爱与美之神 | |
[58:50] | He believed that Aphrodite, a woman… | 他认为是阿芙罗狄蒂 一位女子 |
[58:53] | in case you didn’t know… | 如果你不知道的话 |
[58:54] | formed the human eye and lit a fire in it | 塑造了人的眼睛 在里面点燃了火焰 |
[58:57] | allowing us to see. | 让我们能够看得见 |
[58:58] | Well, that’s ridiculous. If that were the case | 这太荒谬了 如果是这样的话 |
[59:01] | well, then we could see equally well at night. | 那我们在夜里应有同样的视力才对 |
[59:04] | Empedocles thought the same | 恩培多克勒也这么认为 |
[59:06] | so he postulated that the sun’s rays may be linked | 所以他假设太阳光也许与我们眼中 |
[59:09] | to the rays shooting from our eyes. | 所射出的光线有关 |
[59:12] | A fanciful idea, I know | 不切实际的想法 我知道 |
[59:13] | but if not for him | 但如果不是因为他 |
[59:15] | we might not have had the counter-theories of Aristotle | 我们也许就不会有亚里士多德提出的相对理论了 |
[59:15] | 古希腊大哲学家及科学家 | |
[59:18] | then Euclid, then Alhazen | 然后到欧几里得 再到阿尔哈曾 |
[59:18] | 古希腊数学家及教育家 埃及物理学家 | |
[59:20] | Kepler, Newton, Faraday | 开普勒 牛顿 法拉第 |
[59:20] | 开普勒为德国天文学家及物理学家 法拉第为英国科学家 | |
[59:22] | and, finally, James Clark Maxwell. | 最后是詹姆斯·克拉克·麦克斯韦 |
[59:22] | 英国物理学家及数学家 | |
[59:25] | Light is electromagnetic radiation. | 光是电磁辐射 |
[59:27] | I apologize. I didn’t think… | 对不起 我不认为… |
[59:29] | That a woman could possibly | 女性能够明白 |
[59:30] | understand that the curl of the electric field is equal | 电场旋度与磁场的消极时间导数 |
[59:33] | to the negative time derivative of the magnetic field? | 是相等的吗 |
[59:37] | Faraday’s Law. | 法拉第定律 |
[59:38] | The Maxwell-Faraday equation | 如果要说得具体一点 |
[59:40] | if we are being specific. | 是麦克斯韦-法拉第方程式 |
[59:43] | You see, Empedocles was wrong about how we see | 恩培多克勒对人类视力的看法是错的 |
[59:45] | but he stumbled upon a universal truth: | 但是他偶然发现了一个普遍真理 |
[59:48] | human perception is frightfully narrow. | 人类的感知是非常狭隘的 |
[59:50] | We believe we see the whole, when, in fact | 我们认为自己看到了全部 但是其实 |
[59:52] | we’ve only seen a fraction. | 我们只看到了一小部分 |
[59:57] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[59:58] | Professor Weber. | 韦伯教授 |
[59:59] | Herr Einstein. | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[1:00:01] | I see you have met | 看来你已经见过 |
[1:00:02] | the only student to have scored higher than you | 入学考试中唯一一个 |
[1:00:04] | in the mathematics section of our entrance exam. | 数学成绩高于你的学生了 |
[1:00:08] | Say hello to Mileva Maric. | 她叫米列娃·马里奇 |
[1:00:24] | 加利福尼亚州 爱因斯坦家族 汉堡 | |
[1:00:27] | Albert? | 阿尔伯特 |
[1:00:30] | It’s probably Mileva. | 也许是米列娃打来的 |
[1:00:31] | I can’t take any more bad news. | 我不想再听到坏消息了 |
[1:00:34] | You have to talk to her. | 你必须跟她谈谈 |
[1:00:47] | Hello, Mileva. | 你好 米列娃 |
[1:00:50] | Oh. Uh, uh, apologies. I thought… | 抱歉 我以为… |
[1:00:51] | No, would you repeat that, please? | 不 你能再说一次吗 |
[1:00:56] | It’s the United States Embassy. | 是美国大使馆打来的 |
[1:01:03] | 美国大使馆 | |
[1:01:15] | This way, please. | 这边请 |
[1:01:26] | Dr. and Mrs. Einstein. | 爱因斯坦博士 爱因斯坦夫人 |
[1:01:28] | Thank you for coming in on such short notice. | 谢谢你们这么快赶来 |
[1:01:30] | I’m Deputy Consul General Raymond Geist. | 我是雷蒙德·盖斯特副领事 |
[1:01:33] | It’s a real honor to meet you both. | 非常荣幸见到你们 |
[1:01:35] | Please have a seat. | 请坐 |
[1:01:39] | I must say, we were quite surprised by your call. | 不得不说 接到你的电话我们很惊讶 |
[1:01:41] | We’ve been to the United States three times now | 我们已经去过三次美国 |
[1:01:44] | and we’ve never had a problem obtaining visas. | 获取签证方面从未出现过问题 |
[1:01:46] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 夫人 |
[1:01:48] | You are aware, young man, that our boat leaves tomorrow. | 年轻人 你要知道我们的船明天起航 |
[1:01:50] | It’s all right, Elsa. | 没关系的 爱尔莎 |
[1:01:53] | How can we help you, Mr. Geist? | 我们有什么能帮你的 盖斯特先生 |
[1:01:56] | What is the purpose for your travel to America, Professor? | 你去美国的目的是什么 教授 |
[1:01:59] | I’m giving a series of lectures | 我要在加州理工学院 |
[1:02:00] | at the California Institute of Technology | 以及普林斯顿高等研究院的开幕式上 |
[1:02:04] | and opening the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton. | 做一系列的演讲 |
[1:02:07] | But you knew that already. | 这你已经知道了 |
[1:02:10] | Is that all you plan on doing? | 这是你所有的计划吗 |
[1:02:11] | How do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[1:02:14] | What is your political creed, Professor? | 你的政治信条是什么 教授 |
[1:02:21] | Is this a joke, Mr. Geist? | 这是在开玩笑吗 盖斯特先生 |
[1:02:23] | I’m afraid it isn’t. | 恐怕不是 |
[1:02:30] | Are you now or have you ever been | 你目前或是之前 |
[1:02:31] | a member of any political organization? | 是否参加过任何政治组织 |
[1:02:33] | That is none of your business. | 这与你无关 |
[1:02:37] | Then perhaps we can talk about Mileva Maric | 那也许我们可以聊聊米列娃·马里奇 |
[1:02:39] | your ex-wife, yes? Are you in frequent contact? | 就是你前妻 可以吗 你们经常联系吗 |
[1:02:42] | What has she to do with this? | 她和这件事有什么关系 |
[1:02:43] | Well, to our understanding | 据我们所知 |
[1:02:44] | her political background is quite radical. | 她的政治背景有些激进 |
[1:02:46] | This is nonsense. | 一派胡言 |
[1:02:49] | May I remind you, Mr. Geist | 我要提醒你 盖斯特先生 |
[1:02:51] | your country has invited me, not the other way around. | 是你的国家邀请我 不是我自己要去 |
[1:02:54] | Yes, Professor, but you have a history of… | 没错 教授 但你有一段历史 |
[1:02:58] | how shall I put this… controversy | 我该怎么说呢 颇具争议的历史 |
[1:03:00] | which calls into question your loyalties… | 所以我们对你忠诚产生了质疑 |
[1:03:02] | My loyalties? | 我的忠诚 |
[1:03:02] | And it is my job to ensure | 我的工作是要保证 |
[1:03:04] | that any individual coming to our shores | 任何去到我国的人 |
[1:03:06] | does not pose a threat. | 不会对我们构成威胁 |
[1:03:07] | If you wish to talk about threats | 如果你想谈威胁 |
[1:03:09] | Mr. Geist, perhaps you should | 盖斯特先生 也许你应该 |
[1:03:11] | take a look outside your window. | 看看你的窗外 |
[1:03:13] | Have you noticed the charming fellows in brown shirts | 你有没有注意到那个穿着棕色衬衫的帅小伙 |
[1:03:16] | who call me Jewish swine | 他叫我犹太猪 |
[1:03:19] | and want people like me dead? | 希望我这种人去死 |
[1:03:21] | If you are referring to the National Socialist Party | 如果你说的是国家社会党 |
[1:03:25] | they are not in power. | 他们并非执政党 |
[1:03:26] | Oh, no? You want to take a walk with me? | 不是吗 你要和我出去走一圈吗 |
[1:03:29] | Professor, I have not called you here today | 教授 今天我叫你来 |
[1:03:30] | for a-a lesson in German politics. | 不是为了上德国政治课 |
[1:03:32] | I’m not giving you one. | 我也没打算给你上 |
[1:03:33] | Because I doubt you’d be smart enough to be in my class. | 因为我估计你不够聪明 没资格来上我的课 |
[1:03:36] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[1:03:40] | Dr. Einstein | 爱因斯坦博士 |
[1:03:40] | I am conducting this inquiry at the request of the director | 我是受美国调查局局长的委托 |
[1:03:43] | of the United States Bureau of Investigation. | 来进行此次调查的 |
[1:03:47] | Hoover? | 胡佛吗 |
[1:03:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[1:03:50] | Mr. J. Edgar Hoover. | 约翰·埃德加·胡佛先生 |
[1:03:51] | What does he want with me? | 他想要我怎么样 |
[1:03:54] | He’s been quite interested in your political activities | 从你第一次到纽约起 他对你的政治活动 |
[1:03:56] | and affiliations since your first visit to New York. | 以及社会交际关系就非常感兴趣 |
[1:04:01] | So, unless you answer my questions | 所以 除非你对我的问题 |
[1:04:03] | to his satisfaction | 所作的回答令他满意 |
[1:04:05] | you will not be granted entry to the United States of America. | 否则你将不能获准进入美利坚合众国 |