时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Previously on Genius… | |
[00:02] | Albert Einstein. | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[00:04] | Your reputation precedes you. | 你可是大名鼎鼎啊 |
[00:06] | Your mother, sister and I are moving – to Italy. | 你母亲妹妹还有我要搬到意大利去 |
[00:09] | So you’re abandoning me? | 您这是抛弃我了吗 |
[00:10] | No! I’m looking out for your future. | 不 我是在为你的未来着想 |
[00:13] | – How is Marie? – Wonderful. She’s teaching me French. | -玛莉好吗 -很好 她最近在教我法语 |
[00:16] | You will go back to Munich, and that is an order. | 你要立刻回慕尼黑 这是命令 |
[00:18] | I’m sorry, Father, but I’m not going back to Germany. | 对不起 父亲 可是我不会回德国了 |
[00:21] | It is time to stand up for Germany! | 是时候为德国站出来了 |
[00:23] | Tell me, my son, uh, the genius, | 说啊 我的天才儿子 |
[00:26] | how do you propose to make a living without a job? | 你没有工作要怎么生活 |
[00:28] | I’m going to be a professor. | 我要做教授 |
[00:30] | You failed your entrance exam! | 你入学考试都没通过 |
[00:32] | I won’t fail again. | 我不会再失败了 |
[00:33] | Welcome to Zurich Polytechnic. | 欢迎加入苏黎世联邦理工学院 |
[00:34] | I apologize, I didn’t think… | 对不起 我不认为… |
[00:36] | That a woman could possibly understand | 女性能够明白 |
[00:38] | the Maxwell-Faraday equation. | 电场旋度与磁场的消极时间导数是相等的吗 |
[00:39] | Einstein, say hello to Mileva Maric. | 她叫米列娃·马里奇 |
[01:06] | 《我的战争》 | |
[01:25] | 天才 | |
[01:31] | Thank you, Papa, she’s so beautiful. | 谢谢爸爸 她太漂亮了 |
[01:35] | She makes such lovely colors. | 她呈现的颜色如此漂亮 |
[01:38] | It’s called refraction. | 这叫做折射 |
[01:39] | All the colors are there, inside the light. | 所有的颜色都在那儿 在光里 |
[01:43] | The glass just pulls it apart so we can see. | 玻璃只是将它分离出来让我们能看见 |
[01:47] | Did they teach you that in school? | 是学校教你的吗 |
[01:49] | We don’t learn about science in school. | 学校不教科学 |
[01:51] | I found it in a book. | 我从一本书里发现的 |
[01:58] | What ever will become of you, my brilliant Mileva? | 你会成为什么样的人 我聪慧的米列娃 |
[02:03] | Energy moves. | 能量是运动的 |
[02:04] | And it changes, through work. | 它通过做功产生变化 |
[02:08] | Through heat. | 通过热量 |
[02:09] | It passes into and out of the systems that govern our lives. | 在影响我们生命的各个系统中不断进出 |
[02:12] | And, as these systems interact, | 并且在这些系统相互作用的时候 |
[02:13] | they seek balance. | 他们寻求平衡 |
[02:14] | A block of ice | 一块冰 |
[02:16] | in a hot room melts. | 在热的房间融化 |
[02:18] | And along with this transfer of energy | 其能量转换的过程 |
[02:20] | 熵 热力学中表征物质状态的参量之一 用符号S表示 其物理意义是体系混乱程度的度量 墨水滴到水里会扩散就是熵增原理的最好现象 即混乱程度增加 伴随着熵的增加 用符号S表示 其物理意义是体系混乱程度的度量comes an associated increase in entropy. | |
[02:24] | Now, this process, | 现在 这个过程 |
[02:25] | like all natural processes, is… | 如同所有的自然过程 是… |
[02:29] | irreversible. | 不可逆转的 |
[02:30] | The ice melts. | 冰的融化 |
[02:31] | However, it… | 然而… |
[02:39] | Is there something the matter, Miss Maric? | 有什么问题吗 马里奇小姐 |
[02:41] | With me? No, sir, nothing. | 我吗 没有 先生 |
[02:43] | Are you confused? | 你不明白吗 |
[02:46] | It’s only… | 只是… |
[02:48] | If heat is a result | 如果热是 |
[02:49] | of the motion of the underlying molecules | 基础分子运动的结果 |
[02:52] | and Newton’s laws of motion are reversible, | 并且牛顿的运动定律是可逆转的 |
[02:54] | then what explains irreversibility here? | 那么如何解释这里的不可逆转性呢 |
[02:58] | In this class | 本课堂 |
[02:59] | we will deal only with what has been proven. | 只讲已经被证明的东西 |
[03:01] | The existence of molecules has not. | 分子的存在还未被证明 |
[03:06] | Miss Maric raises a fair question, sir. | 马里奇小姐提出的问题很合理 先生 |
[03:09] | Herr Einstein, please. | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[03:10] | These pencils for example… | 以这些铅笔为例 |
[03:15] | Of course they won’t hop off the floor | 它们当然不会飞离地板 |
[03:17] | – and neatly rearrange themselves back in the box, – Herr Einstein… | -灵巧地自己排回盒子里 -爱因斯坦先生 |
[03:19] | but they could, mathematically, could they not? | 但它们可以的 从数学上讲 不可以吗 |
[03:21] | Newton’s equations work both ways, | 牛顿的力学方程双向都是成立的 |
[03:22] | so, theoretically, | 因此 理论上来说 |
[03:25] | if the movement of molecules is the underlying principle… | 如果以分子运动为基本原则 |
[03:27] | Herr Einstein! | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[03:34] | I appreciate your enthusiasm, | 我欣赏你的激情 |
[03:36] | but we do not engage in theatrics here. | 但我们不接受夸张行为 |
[03:39] | Apologies, sir. | 对不起 先生 |
[03:40] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[03:44] | As was my point, a block of ice melts… | 我刚才讲的是 一块冰融化 |
[03:47] | Miss Maric! | 马里奇小姐 |
[03:49] | Miss Maric! A word? | 马里奇小姐 借一步说话 |
[03:52] | I’ve no time for idle conversation, Herr Einstein. | 我没时间闲聊 爱因斯坦先生 |
[03:54] | Nor do I. | 我也没有 |
[03:55] | Of what use is conversation if it’s idle? | 如果是闲聊 谈话有何意义 |
[03:58] | No, I-I wanted to discuss your inquiry in class. | 我想讨论你课堂上的问题 |
[04:01] | – Did I seem in distress? – Excuse me? | -我看起来很苦恼吗 -你说什么 |
[04:03] | As though I was in need of a savior? | 还是说我需要一个救星 |
[04:07] | Uh, quite the contrary. | 恰好相反 |
[04:08] | Then I’m unsure why you took it upon yourself | 那我就不懂为什么你觉得 |
[04:10] | to intercede with Professor Weber on my behalf, | 你应该代我出头向韦伯教授求情 |
[04:13] | or why you believe you’re entitled | 或者为什么你觉得 |
[04:14] | to my attention in this moment. | 此刻你应该获得我的关注 |
[04:16] | I can assure you, I come highly recommended. | 保证我很值得你的关注 |
[04:19] | Herr Einstein… | 爱因斯坦先生… |
[04:22] | …are you attempting to flirt with me? | 你是想挑逗我吗 |
[04:25] | Well, that wasn’t my intention, but I… | 我没有那个意思 但是我… |
[04:26] | I did not come to university to flirt, | 我来大学并非为了调情 |
[04:29] | or to meet a man, and certainly not | 或者找男人 更不会是 |
[04:31] | to find a husband. | 为了找个丈夫 |
[04:33] | I fear you’ve misunderstood me, I merely… | 我觉得你可能误会了 我只是… |
[04:35] | Stay away from me! | 离我远点 |
[04:39] | Good God, man, what did you do to her? | 我的天 老兄 你把她怎么了 |
[04:41] | I have no idea. | 我不知道啊 |
[04:43] | What a troubled creature. | 真是难懂的女人 |
[04:45] | We didn’t have a chance to meet before class. | 我们之前还没来得及互相认识 |
[04:48] | Michele Besso. | 米凯勒·贝索 |
[04:49] | Albert Einstein. Sorry about your pencils. | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 抱歉弄撒了你的铅笔 |
[04:51] | Oh, no. No apology necessary. | 没事 不必道歉 |
[04:52] | It was a-a compelling demonstration, actually. | 你的演示非常有说服力 |
[04:54] | Yes, for a moment, I thought we’d bear witness | 是的 有一瞬间我还以为我们会目睹 |
[04:56] | to an explosive transfer of energy | 韦伯教授的头颅爆炸 |
[04:58] | from Professor Weber’s skull. | 而产生的能量传递 |
[04:59] | Well, that would have been fantastically irreversible. | 那这个过程绝对是不可逆的 |
[05:03] | Marcel Grossmann. | 我是马塞尔·格罗斯曼 |
[05:05] | Uh, we were just headed for some lunch. | 我们正要去吃午饭 |
[05:06] | – Would you care to join us? – Why not? | -你要不要一起来 -好啊 |
[06:16] | Miss Maric. | 马里奇小姐 |
[06:20] | Are you under the impression | 你是不是以为 |
[06:21] | you’re the only one in the building? | 这栋楼里只有你一个人 |
[06:23] | – Sorry, did I disturb you? – Your playing is… | -抱歉 我打扰到你了吗 -你拉得 |
[06:27] | …adequate, but it makes it quite difficult to concentrate. | 挺不错的 但这样我无法集中精力 |
[06:31] | Apologies. | 抱歉 |
[06:33] | Mozart helps me think. | 莫扎特的音乐有助于我思考 |
[06:35] | I’m not sure this assignment requires much thought. | 我不觉得这次作业需要太多思考 |
[06:39] | Not if we were to follow these… | 如果我们遵循这些死板的讲解 |
[06:41] | inelegant instructions. | 的确是不需要 |
[06:43] | There must be a better approach, don’t you think? | 肯定有更好的方法 对吧 |
[06:45] | I think following the instructions is the way | 我认为遵循讲解是确保 |
[06:47] | to pass the class. | 考试通过的方法 |
[06:48] | Is that all you want from an education? | 你想要的教育就是这样的吗 |
[06:50] | To pass your exams? | 为了通过考试 |
[06:51] | – I want a degree, don’t you? – Certainly. | -我想要拿到学位 你不想吗 -当然想 |
[06:53] | But I’m a student of science because… | 但我是学科学的学生 |
[06:57] | well, I… I want to discover new ways | 我想要发现新的方式 |
[07:00] | of understanding the world around me. | 来理解我身处的这个世界 |
[07:02] | Don’t you already know how this will turn out? | 你不是已经知道结果是什么了吗 |
[07:06] | I find knowing how it will turn out reassuring. | 知道结果是什么让我安心 |
[07:13] | Discover quietly, Herr Einstein. | 安静地去发现 爱因斯坦先生 |
[07:18] | Please. | 麻烦了 |
[07:57] | He’s a menace. | 他就是个祸害 |
[07:59] | If he had been the least bit contrite about the damage, | 哪怕他对自己搞的破坏有一点点悔恨之心 |
[08:02] | I might be willing to overlook it, | 我也就不追究了 |
[08:05] | but the idiot had the nerve to claim the fault | 但这个蠢货竟然敢质疑 |
[08:08] | was with my instruction. | 是我的讲解有问题 |
[08:10] | He was reaching beyond what was required. | 他当时的研究超出了要求的范围 |
[08:12] | Let us not fault him for being eager. | 别因为他心急了就怪他 |
[08:14] | Eager? He’s a lazy dog. | 心急 他就是个懒狗 |
[08:16] | He hasn’t completed a single one of my assignments. | 我布置的作业他一个都没完成 |
[08:18] | Yes, but he passed his winter exams with flying colors, | 是 但他以优异的成绩通过了冬季考试 |
[08:21] | – did he not? – I am baffled as to what you see in him. | -对吧 -我不知道你到底看中他哪点 |
[08:24] | Potential. | 潜力 |
[08:26] | Einstein may be the brightest mind I have yet taught. | 爱因斯坦或许是我教过的最聪明的人 |
[08:28] | Now, I agree he can be impudent, but he is young. | 我承认他很无礼 但他还年轻 |
[08:33] | Who of us was not a horse’s ass at his age? | 我们在他这个年纪的时候谁不是个烦人精呢 |
[08:37] | I will have a talk with him. | 我会找他谈谈 |
[08:50] | “B” for “Boltzmann”? | 找B开头的波兹曼吗 |
[08:54] | You, too? | 你也是吗 |
[08:55] | Half a term on gases, | 气体讲了半个学期 |
[08:57] | Weber still hasn’t mentioned kinetic theory. | 韦伯还没提到分子动力学 |
[09:01] | I’m beginning to think I’ll learn more | 我在想如果我能读本好书的话 |
[09:02] | if I spend all my time with a good book. | 我肯定能学到更多东西 |
[09:04] | Well, I’m afraid I’ve beaten you to this one. | 恐怕我捷足先登了 |
[09:07] | I don’t mind sharing. | 我不介意分享 |
[09:08] | Maybe you could read to me. | 你可以读给我听 |
[09:13] | Did your fiddle decide to fight back? | 你的小提琴奋起反击了吗 |
[09:19] | I should’ve taken your advice and followed the instructions. | 我该听取你的建议 遵循讲解的 |
[09:23] | Well, I hope you’ve learned your lesson. | 希望你能吸取到教训 |
[09:26] | Why must you be so cruel to me, Miss Maric? | 你为什么对我这么严厉 马里奇小姐 |
[09:30] | Herr Einstein. Take a walk with me. | 爱因斯坦先生 跟我去走走 |
[09:32] | Herr Professor, Miss Maric and I were just discussing… | 教授先生 我和马里奇小姐正在讨论… |
[09:34] | I only have a few minutes before my next lecture. | 我还有几分钟就要去上课了 |
[09:37] | Of course. | 好的 |
[09:40] | If you decide to share, do give me a knock. | 如果你愿意分享 记得来找我 |
[09:52] | Please. | 拜托了 |
[09:53] | 萨格勒布 1891年 给她一次机会 | |
[09:56] | Let her take the entrance exam. | 让她参加入学考试吧 |
[09:58] | This is a school for boys. | 这是男校 |
[10:00] | And the best instruction in the sciences | 也是东欧科学学科 |
[10:02] | Eastern Europe has to offer. | 最顶尖的学校 |
[10:03] | And what would your daughter do with such instruction? | 你要你女儿学这么好的科学干什么 |
[10:06] | Chatter in her sewing circle? | 在她的缝纫妇女会里聊天吗 |
[10:07] | Mileva does not sew. | 米列娃不会缝纫 |
[10:09] | She’s up all night, | 她彻夜苦读 |
[10:11] | filling her brain with things I can’t begin to understand. | 学得东西都是我已经开始无法理解的了 |
[10:13] | Then how do you know she understands them? | 那你怎么知道她能理解 |
[10:18] | I am afraid we are done here, Mr. Maric. | 就谈到这里吧 马里奇先生 |
[10:25] | Miza, will you please show the headmaster what you’re reading? | 米扎 你能不能把你看的书给校长看看 |
[10:29] | 《法拉第》 | |
[10:32] | Did you truly think I would be moved by such a display? | 你真的觉得我会被你们这种装模作样打动吗 |
[10:35] | And how did you come by that book? | 你怎么拿到这本书的 |
[10:38] | We took the train to Vienna, | 我们坐火车去了维也纳 |
[10:39] | there weren’t any books on electromagnetic theory near home. | 我们家附近没有关于电磁理论的书 |
[10:42] | So the methods of Faraday have, uh, piqued your interest? | 所以法拉第的理论激发了你的兴趣吗 |
[10:46] | Oh, yes. | 是的 |
[10:47] | It is Faraday’s concepts of fields and potentials | 法拉第的磁场和电位概念 |
[10:50] | that provide the most natural setting | 为格林和高斯在数学上的发现 |
[10:51] | for the mathematical discoveries of Green and Gauss. | 做了极其自然的铺垫 |
[10:59] | It is not often I come across a student | 我很少碰到像你这样 |
[11:01] | with your boundless potential. | 拥有无限潜力的学生 |
[11:02] | But I’m afraid to say that not all your professors | 但是恐怕不是所有的教授 |
[11:05] | share my patience with your eccentricities. | 都像我一样能够容忍你的古怪 |
[11:07] | – I don’t understand. – You are skipping classes, | -我不理解 -你翘课 |
[11:09] | missing assignments and challenging your instructors. | 不交作业的行为是在挑战你的导师 |
[11:12] | Frankly, you give the impression | 坦白讲 你给大家的印象是 |
[11:14] | you think you have all the answers. | 你自认为无所不知 |
[11:16] | The opposite, in fact. | 实际上正相反 |
[11:18] | I-I’ve got nothing but questions. | 我一无所知 疑问重重 |
[11:19] | How am I supposed to find answers if I don’t ask? | 但是如果不问又该如何找到答案呢 |
[11:22] | By respecting the fundamentals. | 尊重基本原理 |
[11:25] | And being mindful where you place your attention. | 并且意识到该把你的注意力放在哪里 |
[11:28] | The library is no place to… woo a woman. | 图书馆可不是用来讨好女士的地方 |
[11:33] | – Sir? – I am not blind. | -先生 -我又不瞎 |
[11:35] | I have seen you in close conversation with Miss Maric | 我已经看到你和马里奇小姐多次 |
[11:38] | on more than one occasion. | 密切交谈了 |
[11:40] | Miss Maric? I, I barely know her. | 马里奇小姐 我几乎不认识她 |
[11:42] | – And I certainly wasn’t… – Good. | -我真的不是 -那就好 |
[11:43] | You keep it that way. | 继续保持 |
[11:45] | The Slavs are a dangerous sort, I assure you. | 我向你保证 斯拉夫人是很危险的 |
[11:48] | Now, I was more than happy to take up your case | 现在 我非常乐意在教员中的怀疑者面前 |
[11:51] | with the doubters on the faculty. | 为你的行为负责 |
[11:52] | – Thank you, but I… – And come graduation, | -谢谢您 但是我 -毕业时 |
[11:54] | I can be useful in securing your future. | 我能够为你的未来提供保障 |
[11:59] | If… you prove my faith founded. | 如果你配得上我对你的信心 |
[12:05] | Of course. | 当然 |
[12:06] | I-I’ll do my best, sir. | 我会尽全力的 先生 |
[12:08] | Good. | 好的 |
[12:37] | Miss Maric. | 马里奇小姐 |
[12:38] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[12:39] | Is Herr Einstein in? | 爱因斯坦先生在吗 |
[12:41] | He is not. | 他不在 |
[12:41] | I believe he is still in Aarau with Marie. | 我想他还和玛莉在阿劳 |
[12:42] | 瑞士北部的城市 我想他还和玛莉在阿劳 | |
[12:44] | – Marie? – His fiancée. | -玛莉 -他的未婚妻 |
[12:50] | No message, then? | 要留个口信吗 |
[12:51] | Just this. | 就这本书 |
[13:02] | As if it wasn’t struggle enough for her | 就好像天生古板这事 |
[13:04] | that she was born lame. | 还不够让她煎熬 |
[13:05] | This will ruin her. | 这会毁了她的 |
[13:07] | I will not have our daughter dragged down | 我不会让我们的女儿被这些 |
[13:09] | by these antiquated notions of femininity. | 陈旧的对女性的偏见而拖累的 |
[13:12] | She has not only passed her entrance exam, | 她不仅仅通过了入学考试 |
[13:16] | she scored higher than anyone. | 她的分数比其他人都高 |
[13:17] | Do you think the world will clear a path for her | 你觉得这世界会因为你的意愿 |
[13:19] | simply because you will it? | 就为她破例吗 |
[13:20] | Not because I will it. | 并不是因为我的意愿 |
[13:22] | Because I fight for her. | 因为我为她而抗争 |
[13:23] | Out there. | 在外面 |
[13:24] | But here? In my own home? | 但是这里 我自己的家里 |
[13:26] | With my wife? No! | 和我的妻子 不 |
[13:28] | There will be no discussion. | 这事不容商量 |
[13:30] | Well, no man ever married a woman for her mind, hmm? | 没有男人会因为女人的思想而娶她 是吗 |
[13:37] | Marija… | 玛丽亚 |
[13:44] | Don’t worry, Mama. | 别担心 妈妈 |
[13:45] | I won’t need to marry. | 我不需要结婚 |
[13:47] | I plan to be a scientist. | 我要成为一名科学家 |
[13:52] | Oh, my beautiful daughter. | 我美丽的女儿 |
[13:54] | What a joy it is, to celebrate your birth. | 庆祝你的生日是多么愉快的事 |
[13:57] | Seems any day now, we will be losing you to another man. | 好像我们随时都会将你让给另一个男人 |
[14:00] | But we could do worse than you, Albert. | 但是我们能做得比你糟 阿尔伯特 |
[14:02] | Not much. | 不会差太多 |
[14:06] | Who knew inviting you into our home those years back, | 谁知道多年前邀请你来我们家 |
[14:09] | we would expand our merry band so exponentially? | 会扩大我们欢乐团队的规模呢 |
[14:13] | Dear Maja is as much a sister to our girls | 亲爱的玛雅就像姑娘们的妹妹 |
[14:16] | as she is to you. | 对你也是一样 |
[14:17] | And now you’ve brought us Mr. Besso. | 现在你为我们带来了贝索先生 |
[14:19] | Such a charming dinner companion. | 一位如此有魅力的晚餐同伴 |
[14:21] | I hope you’ll return for many more meals. | 希望你能多回来吃饭 |
[14:23] | Yes. And so would Anna, apparently. | 没错 很显然安娜也该多回来 |
[14:26] | Julius. Enough. | 朱利叶斯 够了 |
[14:28] | But most importantly, | 但是最重要的是 |
[14:31] | thank you, Albert. | 谢谢你 阿尔伯特 |
[14:32] | For making our Marie so very happy. | 你让我们的玛莉这么开心 |
[14:37] | To Marie. | 敬玛莉 |
[14:38] | To Marie! | 敬玛莉 |
[14:47] | What happened? | 怎么回事 |
[14:49] | I was, I was working with a Kundt’s tube, | 德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速 本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素 仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感 我在用孔脱管做实验时 |
[14:51] | 测量温度对 德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速 本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素 仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感 | |
[14:53] | measuring the effect of temperature | 声波速度的影响 德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速 本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素 仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感 |
[14:55] | on the speed of sound waves, | 在尝试增大振幅的时候 德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速 本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素 仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感 |
[14:57] | and in an attempt to magnify their amplitude, | 我忽视了需要考虑 德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速 本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素 仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感 |
[14:58] | for the flammable nature of the… | 材料易燃的特性 德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速 本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素 仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感 |
[15:01] | Cheri, Cheri, | 宝贝 宝贝 |
[15:02] | ce que tu dis n’a aucun sens. | 别说这些没用的[法语] |
[15:05] | I’m sorry, I don’t understand. | 抱歉 我不懂 |
[15:07] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[15:08] | You never did pay any attention | 我们的法语课 |
[15:09] | during our French lessons, | 你从来都不上心 |
[15:10] | and sadly, physics is not my forte. | 遗憾的是 物理不是我的强项 |
[15:15] | I’m sorry. | 真抱歉 |
[15:17] | Of course you, you don’t want to discuss physics. | 你当然不想讨论物理 |
[15:26] | I don’t want to discuss anything. | 我什么也不想讨论 |
[15:39] | Take me for a walk. | 带我去走走 |
[15:50] | I can’t thank you enough for the welcome | 简直无法表达我的感谢 |
[15:51] | your family has shown me. | 你的家人对我如此热情 |
[15:53] | Our pleasure. | 是我们的荣幸 |
[15:54] | – The train won’t wait. – Take a breath, son, | -火车可不等人 -放轻松 孩子 |
[15:55] | there’s plenty of time. | 我们时间充裕 |
[16:04] | Well, Miss Winteler. | 保重 温特勒小姐 |
[16:06] | I do hope you’ll return sooner rather than later, Mr. Besso. | 我真切希望你会尽早回来 贝索先生 |
[16:14] | Oh, look it, you’re blushing. | 瞧瞧 你的小脸都红了 |
[16:15] | I could make the trip to Milan. | 我可以去米兰旅行 |
[16:18] | Maybe… | 可能吧 |
[16:19] | But Grossmann’s family have a house on a lake | 但格罗斯曼一家在湖边有栋房子 |
[16:22] | and I’ve been invited to join them. So… | 他们邀请我过去住 所以… |
[16:26] | I do enjoy sailing. | 我真的喜欢划船 |
[16:30] | Albert, you would tell me if something was troubling you. | 阿尔伯特 如果有心事你会告诉我吧 |
[16:35] | Of course, Mariechen. | 当然 亲爱的玛莉 |
[16:48] | You know I’m a modern man, Albert, | 你知道我是个开明的人 阿尔伯特 |
[16:49] | but my Marie is risking a great deal with you. | 但我的玛莉对你寄予厚望 |
[16:52] | I expect you to do right by her. | 我希望你能好好对她 |
[16:56] | Safe travels, son. | 一路平安 孩子 |
[17:05] | Okay. | 好了 |
[17:12] | God, I close my eyes, | 老天 我一闭上眼睛 |
[17:13] | and her face is all I see. | 脑海里全是她的脸 |
[17:15] | This conversation is far past insufferable. | 这段谈话已经让人忍无可忍 |
[17:17] | You should have joined us. | 你应该加入我们的 |
[17:19] | There is a third sister. | 还有个三妹 |
[17:21] | You would have enjoyed her company. | 你肯定会喜欢她陪在你身边 |
[17:23] | I’m not in the market for a wife. | 我又不是在市场里挑媳妇 |
[17:25] | Who said anything about shopping? | 谁说是在购物了 |
[17:26] | I’m talking about love. | 我说的是爱情 |
[17:28] | Oh, Jesus, save me. Albert, please. | 神啊 救救我 阿尔伯特 帮帮忙 |
[17:32] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[17:33] | What? | 怎么了 |
[17:34] | Your fiancé. | 你的未婚妻 |
[17:35] | I want the sordid details. | 我想听污段子 |
[17:38] | I don’t understand how you all arrived at this notion | 我不明白你们为什么都觉得 |
[17:41] | that we’re engaged. | 我们订婚了 |
[17:42] | I can’t understand your reluctance. | 我不明白你为什么不愿意 |
[17:45] | She is beautiful, she is kind. | 她又漂亮又善良 |
[17:48] | And she loves you so deeply. | 而且她如此深爱着你 |
[17:52] | I’m not sure I want to spend my life | 我不确定是否要和一个 |
[17:53] | with a woman who can’t carry a compelling conversation | 无法对事物本质进行深入对话的女人 |
[17:56] | on the nature of things. | 共度一生 |
[17:59] | That is not what wives are for. | 妻子不是用来做这些的 |
[18:01] | For once, I am with Marcel. | 我难得同意马塞尔一次 |
[18:03] | Tell me why I put up with you bourgeois bores. | 我为什么要忍受你两个无聊的资产阶级 |
[18:05] | Because you want to borrow my geometry notes, | 因为你想借我的几何笔记 |
[18:07] | you faux bohemian. | 你个虚伪的波西米亚人 |
[18:10] | All right. Uh… | 好吧 |
[18:12] | Here. Ah. | 给你 |
[18:14] | That odd little gimp stopped by the other day. | 那天奇怪的小跛脚女来过 |
[18:17] | Gimp? Hmm. | 跛脚女 |
[18:19] | You mean Mileva. | 你是说米列娃 |
[18:27] | She does have a little hitch in her gait, doesn’t she? | 她走路是有一点点蹒跚 对吗 |
[18:30] | Do love the sound of her voice, though. | 倒还挺喜欢她的声音 |
[18:40] | Miss Maric! Miss Maric. | 马里奇小姐 马里奇小姐 |
[18:44] | What a kind gesture, leaving this book for me. | 谢谢你把这本书留给我 |
[18:47] | I couldn’t help but think about the pencils. | 我不由得想到了我们第一堂课时 |
[18:49] | From our first class? | 讲到的铅笔 |
[18:51] | 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 如果像玻尔兹曼那样 | |
[18:53] | If we think of entropy as Boltzmann does, | 把熵看作一种概率的量度 那么 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[18:56] | as a measure of probability, well, then, | 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[18:57] | the process is irreversible, | 这个过程就是不可逆的 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[18:58] | because the number of possible configurations for the pencils | 因为盒子外铅笔组合的可能性 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[19:01] | outside of the box is nearly infinite, | 近乎无穷 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[19:04] | whereas there’s only a handful of possibilities | 但如果要将它们放回来 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[19:06] | for the way they fit back in… | 其组合只有有限的可能性… 熵和概率学是有冲突的 从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色 晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子 从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小 |
[19:07] | I’m glad you enjoyed it. | 很高兴你喜欢它 |
[19:09] | Now if you’ll excuse me… | 现在麻烦借过一下 |
[19:20] | Don’t go. | 别走 |
[19:22] | We don’t have much time left in the term, | 我们这个学期没剩多久了 |
[19:24] | and there are… | 有些… |
[19:26] | things I want to talk to you about, like… | 事情我想和你说 比如 |
[19:29] | The probability of chaos. | 混乱程度的概率性 |
[19:33] | You move me. | 你让我心动 |
[19:37] | You’re playing a trick. | 你在开玩笑 |
[19:39] | No. I… What? | 不 我… 什么 |
[19:42] | What do you mean? | 你说的是什么意思 |
[19:43] | I know you’re spoken for. | 我知道你有主了 |
[19:46] | Herr Grossmann told me. | 格罗斯曼先生告诉我了 |
[19:48] | About Marie. | 关于玛莉的事 |
[19:50] | So this is, what, a little fun at my… | 这又算是什么 嘲笑我… |
[19:57] | Stop. | 不要 |
[19:58] | But Marie, it’s not… She’s… | 但玛莉不是… 她是… |
[20:00] | It doesn’t matter. | 无所谓了 |
[20:01] | I can’t. | 我做不到 |
[20:03] | This is not a possibility. | 这不可能 |
[20:04] | But why not? | 为什么呢 |
[20:17] | You both look ruddy. | 你们俩看上去都满面红光 |
[20:18] | Seems the summer holiday | 看来暑假 |
[20:19] | – has treated you well. – In my mind, | -过得不错 -在我脑海里 |
[20:21] | I’m still on a sailboat with schnapps in hand. | 我还在帆船上 手捧酒杯 |
[20:23] | The Wintelers had hoped to see you in Aarau. | 温特勒一家很希望能在阿劳见到你 |
[20:26] | – Yes, well… – Good Lord, Besso, | -我知道 -我的老天 贝索 |
[20:28] | if I closed my eyes, | 如果我闭上眼睛 |
[20:28] | I could mistake you for my mother. | 还以为你是我妈 |
[20:30] | Ah, finally. | 终于 |
[20:31] | All summer long, I have been starved of your constant derision. | 整个夏天我都想听你一刻不停的嘲笑 |
[20:34] | How ever did I survive? | 我是怎么活过来的 |
[20:36] | It is a mystery. | 这是个谜 |
[20:37] | Ah, Albert. I nearly forgot, there’s a book | 阿尔伯特 差点忘了 有本书 |
[20:39] | that you must read. | 你必须要读 |
[20:40] | Mach. The Science of Mechanics. | 马赫的《力学史评》 |
[20:43] | He argues for the reconsideration of Newton. | 他认为应该重新思考牛顿力学 |
[20:49] | The reconsideration of Newton. | 重新思考牛顿力学 |
[20:50] | Are you listening? | 你在听吗 |
[20:52] | What? | 什么 |
[20:53] | Dear God, he’s an imposter. | 天啊 他一定是个赝品 |
[20:54] | Quick, Grossmann, send for the constable. | 快点 格罗斯曼 去叫治安官来 |
[20:57] | Welcome back, gentlemen. | 欢迎回来 先生们 |
[21:01] | Sir? | 先生 |
[21:02] | Sir, I was wondering, | 先生 请问 |
[21:03] | have you heard anything of Miss Maric? | 您有马里奇小姐的消息吗 |
[21:05] | I thought you had no interest in her? | 你不是对她没兴趣吗 |
[21:07] | I don’t. I don’t. Or it is merely intellectual. | 我没有 只是有些欣赏她的才智 |
[21:11] | She lent me a book. | 她借了本书给我 |
[21:13] | Well, if you must know, | 既然你这么想知道 |
[21:14] | she’s auditing classes in Heidelberg and will not be returning. | 她去海德堡旁听课程 不会回来了 |
[21:18] | Do you remember what we discussed? | 还记得我和你说过什么吗 |
[21:20] | Attention and commitment. | 专注和承诺 |
[21:22] | They will serve you well. | 会为你带来帮助的 |
[21:24] | Yes. | 是 |
[21:29] | 海德堡大学 | |
[21:39] | Hey, Fritz, look. | 弗里茨 快看 |
[21:48] | Cannot believe this. | 我真不敢相信 |
[21:50] | What is this girl doing in our class? | 这位姑娘来课堂上干什么 |
[22:16] | Good morning, everyone. | 同学们 早上好 |
[22:21] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[22:23] | My name is Professor Philipp Lenard. | 我是菲利普·勒纳教授 |
[22:25] | I’m pleased to welcome you | 欢迎你们的到来 |
[22:26] | to The Kinetic Principles of Theoretical Physics. | 我们将讲述理论物理的动力学原则 |
[22:30] | – Over the course of the term, – Who is she? | -在本学期的课程中 -她是谁 |
[22:31] | these lectures will explore a vast yet infinitesimal universe. | 我们将共同探索浩瀚却又微小的宇宙 |
[22:35] | My esteemed Miss Maric. | 尊敬的马里奇小姐 |
[22:37] | My thoughts drifted your way more than once this summer. | 今夏我不止一次地想到你 |
[22:40] | Do forgive me for the distress I caused at our last meeting. | 请原谅我在最后一次见面时为你带去的困扰 |
[22:44] | I hoped I would be able to apologize in person. | 希望我可以当面道歉 |
[22:46] | But as I understand it, | 但我知道 |
[22:48] | something has drawn you to Heidelberg. | 海德堡内有什么吸引了你 |
[22:51] | If you find yourself bored, | 你若是觉得无聊 |
[22:53] | please write and share with me why you chose to leave. | 请给我写信 告知我你选择离开的理由 |
[22:56] | Fraulein. | 小姐 |
[22:58] | A letter’s come. | 有你的信 |
[23:00] | You really should find a man to carry all those books for you. | 你真该找个男人来帮你拿书 |
[23:04] | Thank you, Frau Fricke. | 谢谢 弗里克夫人 |
[23:46] | Now, if these molecules | 如果这些分子 |
[23:47] | move with a velocity of over 400 meters per second, | 以超过每秒四百米的速度运动 |
[23:50] | then, using these results, | 那么利用这些结果 |
[23:53] | we can determine that they travel no more | 我们可以确定它们的位移 |
[23:55] | than 1/100 of a hairsbreadth. | 是非常短的 |
[23:58] | Esteemed sir, | 尊敬的先生 |
[24:00] | I must offer an apology. | 请容我道歉 |
[24:01] | Your instructions were clear. | 你说得非常明白了 |
[24:03] | I was to wait to write to you until bored, | 我本要等到无聊再给你写信的 |
[24:06] | but I’m never that. | 但我毫不无聊 |
[24:08] | I was compelled to ignore those instructions | 在听过勒纳教授 |
[24:11] | after a lecture from Professor Lenard, | 关于热和气体的动力学理论这堂课后 |
[24:15] | exploring the kinetic theory of heat and gases. | 我不得不无视你的要求给你写信 |
[24:18] | Just as we always hoped to hear from Weber. | 我们一直希望韦伯能教授给我们这些 |
[24:22] | You simply won’t believe what this lecture revealed. | 你绝对不会相信这堂课教授了什么 |
[24:26] | What I want to know, sir, is why? | 我想知道的是 先生 为什么 |
[24:28] | Why what? | 什么为什么 |
[24:29] | Why, say, | 为什么 |
[24:30] | heat flows and temperatures are connected? | 热流动与温度有关 |
[24:32] | Or-or different gases exert different pressures? | 或为什么不同的气体造成的气压不同 |
[24:35] | If we were to explore kinetic theory… | 如果我们要探讨动力学理论… |
[24:37] | Now, this is not an exploration. It is a lecture. | 现在不是要探索 这是课堂 |
[24:39] | Pick up your pencil… | 拿起你的笔 |
[24:40] | Physics is dynamic! | 物理是动态的 |
[24:42] | You see knowledge as a baton to be passed, | 你将物理视为传递下去的接力棒 |
[24:44] | but scientific pursuit isn’t a race. | 但科学事业并不是比赛 |
[24:46] | This should be an adventure! | 这该是一场冒险 |
[24:48] | Herr Einstein, enough! | 爱因斯坦先生 够了 |
[24:52] | Never, in all my years of teaching, have I seen such disrespect. | 在我多年的教书生涯中 从未有人如此无礼 |
[24:55] | It will not be tolerated. | 我绝不能容忍此事 |
[24:57] | Am I clear? | 你明白吗 |
[24:57] | There’s no reason to take this personally. | 这不是针对你个人的问题 |
[25:00] | It’s the basis of thermodynamics I’m questioning. | 只是关于热力学基础的疑问 |
[25:02] | Not you, Herr Weber. | 而不是你 韦伯先生 |
[25:03] | You will address me as Herr Professor, you impudent twit! | 叫我教授先生 你这个厚颜无耻的傻瓜 |
[25:08] | My apologies, Herr Professor, but I don’t understand… | 抱歉 教授先生 但我不明白… |
[25:12] | The laws of thermodynamics are observable and provable. | 热力学定律是可观测可证明的 |
[25:14] | There is nothing to question. | 没有任何疑问 |
[25:15] | Don’t you find it fascinating that even though | 你不觉得这让人着迷吗 |
[25:17] | these tiny molecules of gas | 这些微小的气体分子 |
[25:19] | move at a near incomprehensible speed, | 以惊人的速度移动 |
[25:21] | that they travel hardly any distance at all. | 却几乎没有任何位移 |
[25:24] | Not even a hairsbreadth. | 连毫厘之间都没有 |
[25:25] | These radical thoughts are a disease. | 这些偏激思想是病态的 |
[25:28] | Who has infected you? | 是谁传染了你 |
[25:30] | Is it Boltzmann? Mach? | 是波尔兹曼吗 还是马赫 |
[25:32] | Lenard, actually. | 实际上是勒纳 |
[25:34] | Miss Maric wrote to me about one of his lectures and I… | 马里奇小姐写了一封信 描述他的课堂 |
[25:36] | Again with this woman. Did I not warn you that she was dangerous? | 又是那个女人 我早就提醒过你她非常危险 |
[25:44] | Miss Maric has done nothing but demonstrate | 马里奇小姐什么都没干 |
[25:47] | her deep intelligence to you, and yet | 她只表达了对你知识渊博的敬仰之情 |
[25:50] | you treat her with disdain. | 你却如此轻视她 |
[25:52] | I… what offense has she ever given you? | 她怎么冒犯您了吗 |
[25:57] | You are a very clever boy, Einstein. | 你是个很聪明的男孩 爱因斯坦 |
[25:59] | Very clever. | 非常聪明 |
[26:00] | But you have one fault. | 但你有一个缺点 |
[26:04] | You will never let yourself be told anything. | 你听不进去任何东西 |
[26:11] | Best of luck. | 祝你好运 |
[26:13] | That is clearly all I have left to offer you. | 这是我唯一能给予你的了 |
[26:18] | Is he angry with me? | 他生我的气了吗 |
[26:19] | Angry? Of course not. | 当然没有啊 |
[26:22] | Albert’s probably not even… | 阿尔伯特可能都没… |
[26:25] | Well, not even what? | 没有什么 |
[26:27] | Oh, you know how he gets. | 你知道他的 |
[26:29] | Ah, you mean distracted? | 你是说他的走神吗 |
[26:31] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:32] | He’s just consumed by whatever’s right in front of him. | 他只是对周遭的一切都异常感兴趣 |
[26:35] | Mmm. It can be very charming. | 这点可以非常吸引人 |
[26:37] | But also very frustrating. | 但也很让人失望 |
[26:41] | If it makes you feel better, I haven’t had a letter | 如果这能让你好过点 我想说 |
[26:43] | since he’s been back in Zurich. | 自他回苏黎世后 我一封信都没收过 |
[26:45] | Not even a postcard. | 明信片也没有 |
[26:48] | I just miss him, I suppose. | 我只是很想他 |
[26:51] | I know. | 我知道 |
[26:52] | I bet he’d like some tea. | 我觉得他会喜欢喝茶的 |
[26:53] | Studying all those hours. Don’t you? | 学习了好几个小时后喝一杯茶 你觉得呢 |
[26:56] | My brother has no idea how very lucky he is. | 我哥哥真的不知道自己有多幸运啊 |
[27:00] | May I see this one, please? | 我能看看这个茶壶吗 |
[27:02] | Of course, Fraulein. | 当然可以 小姐 |
[27:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[27:20] | 致阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 以爱之名 你的小玛丽 | |
[27:44] | Herr Professor. | 教授先生 |
[27:47] | If you’ll permit me, my name is… | 如您允许 我叫… |
[27:49] | Mileva Maric. | 米列娃·马里奇 |
[27:51] | One doesn’t lose track of the sole woman in the room. | 没人能忘记教室里的唯一女性 |
[27:54] | Yes. Well, | 是啊 |
[27:57] | I’ve been trying to understand equipartition theorem | 我一直尝试着去理解能量均分定理是 |
[27:59] | and if it applies to the case of diatomic gases. | 如何解释双原子气体运动的 |
[28:01] | How do I distribute the energy? | 能量是如何分布的 |
[28:03] | As a matter of fact, it does indeed apply, | 事实上 该原理确实可以应用于此 |
[28:06] | and you use the theorem in exactly the same way as before. | 你可以像之前那样使用此原理来解释现象 |
[28:09] | Uh, so then, | 所以 |
[28:10] | you divide the energy equally, | 你将能量均分 |
[28:12] | giving the rotational and vibrational modes | 让气体分子的振动模式和转动模式 |
[28:14] | the same amount as the translational ones? | 与平移模式所具有的能量相等吗 |
[28:17] | You have an impressive command of this material. | 你对此理论有很深刻的理解啊 |
[28:19] | With whom else have you studied? | 你师从过谁的门下 |
[28:22] | On equipartition theorem? Only you, sir. | 能量均分定理方面的话只跟过您学习 |
[28:25] | Though I did some reading while studying | 但我在苏黎世联邦理工学院学习时 |
[28:26] | at Polytechnic in Zurich. | 也查阅过相关资料 |
[28:27] | I found the instruction on thermodynamics there… | 我发现那边的热力学研究… |
[28:31] | lacking. | 非常匮乏 |
[28:33] | So you are here, | 所以你来到这里 |
[28:35] | auditing my lectures for… | 旁听我的课程 |
[28:37] | your enjoyment? | 仅因爱好吗 |
[28:38] | No, sir. I mean, yes. | 不是的先生 确实是 |
[28:40] | I’ve enjoyed them very much, but… | 我非常享受其中 但… |
[28:42] | I’ve written an essay on kinetic theory. | 我写了一篇有关气体动力学理论的论文 |
[28:45] | I was hoping you might make time to read it. | 我希望您能抽时间看一看 |
[28:47] | And if you find it worthy, | 如果您觉得有价值 |
[28:48] | that you might write to the administration on my behalf? | 可否请您为我向校领导写封信 |
[28:53] | I’ve petitioned to be allowed to take the entrance exam. | 我想请求参加入学考试 |
[28:56] | I admire your spirit, Fraulein, | 我很佩服你 小姐 |
[28:58] | but the Swiss are much more liberal than the Germans. | 但瑞士比德国更自由 |
[29:01] | Heidelberg does not, nor will not confer degrees on women. | 而海德堡却不是 这里绝不授予女性学位 |
[29:04] | You should return to Zurich and earn your diploma. | 你应该回去苏黎世 拿个学位证 |
[29:06] | After that, | 之后 |
[29:07] | I might be willing to consider you | 我可能会让你 |
[29:09] | for a research position, hmm? | 参与我的研究 好吗 |
[29:11] | Thank you, but, sir… | 谢谢 但先生… |
[29:14] | Please. | 求求您 |
[29:16] | I can’t go back there. | 我不能回去了 |
[29:17] | Why ever not? | 为什么 |
[29:23] | Emile. | 埃米尔 |
[29:26] | I-if you want to spend time together in the library, | 你愿意和我一起去图书馆吗 |
[29:31] | I could help you study. | 我可以辅导你学习 |
[29:33] | Perhaps I’ll take you up on that. | 好的 我和你一起 |
[29:36] | Well, then, I’ll see you tomorrow. | 那明天见咯 |
[30:22] | Might we have ourselves a beau? | 你是有男朋友了吧 |
[30:26] | Three letters from the same young man. | 同一位年轻男士寄来了三封信 |
[30:39] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 | |
[30:42] | Did it all go just as you’d planned it? | 一切皆如你计划地发展吗 |
[30:44] | Well, she said yes, which is all that matters. | 重点是 她说她愿意 |
[30:46] | But, uh, we weren’t able to do much celebrating. | 但是 我们不能大肆庆祝 |
[30:49] | Doesn’t sound like the Wintelers. | 听上去不像温特勒家的人啊 |
[30:51] | No, but Anna puts Marie’s feelings above her own, so… | 是啊 安娜将玛莉的感受置于她自己的之上 |
[30:54] | I don’t understand. | 所以我也不明白 |
[30:56] | Listen, Albert. | 听着 阿尔伯特 |
[30:57] | I know that you’re tired of hearing this from me, | 我知道你厌倦了我说这些话了 |
[30:59] | and believe me, I’m twice as tired of saying it. | 但请相信我 我也厌倦了说这样的话 |
[31:01] | For the love of my soon-to-be marriage, | 为了我的未婚妻着想 |
[31:03] | will you please, | 能否请你 |
[31:04] | please make your intentions clear to that poor girl? | 向那可怜的女孩表明态度 |
[31:06] | I don’t know what to say to her. | 我不知道该和她说什么 |
[31:07] | Well you can’t simply keep silent. | 但你也不能就这样一直沉默啊 |
[31:10] | Send her a letter, a thank you for the gifts that she sends. | 给她写封信 谢谢她送的礼物 |
[31:14] | I didn’t ask her for any of those things. | 我又没要她给我那些东西 |
[31:16] | Can you really be this thickheaded? | 你真的这么迟钝吗 |
[31:18] | Look, she’s a wonderful person, but I’m… | 听着 她是个好女人 但是我 |
[31:29] | Albert? | 阿尔伯特 |
[31:32] | Watch where you’re going, hey! | 走路当心 |
[31:34] | Miss Maric! | 马里奇小姐 |
[31:47] | I didn’t come back for you. | 我不是为你回来的 |
[31:50] | If I could have earned my degree in Heidelberg, | 如果我能在海德堡获得学位 |
[31:52] | I’d be there still. | 我会待在那里 |
[31:57] | Stop. | 站住 |
[32:00] | I am only here for my degree. | 我只是为了学位回来这里 |
[32:03] | I have so much catching up… | 我有很多东西要赶上进度 |
[32:04] | papers, exams. | 报告 考试 |
[32:12] | Please. | 拜托 |
[32:14] | You’re a distraction. | 你会让我分心 |
[32:17] | I won’t distract you. | 我不会让你分心 |
[32:19] | I’ll help you. | 我会帮你 |
[32:24] | We’ll catch up. | 我们会赶上进度的 |
[32:26] | Together. | 一起赶上 |
[32:29] | And what of Marie? | 玛莉怎么办 |
[32:32] | There is only you. | 我只爱你 |
[32:36] | Mileva… | 米列娃 |
[32:41] | I cannot get lost with you. | 我不能跟你一起迷失了 |
[32:45] | We can discuss physics, | 我们能讨论物理学 |
[32:47] | geometry, but we cannot get lost. | 几何学 但我们不能迷失 |
[32:56] | Promise me. | 答应我 |
[33:00] | Promise me. | 答应我 |
[33:02] | I promise. | 我答应你 |
[33:39] | You look just like a little doll. | 你看起来就像个小洋娃娃 |
[33:42] | Stop. | 住口 |
[33:48] | Your body’s so soft, | 你的身体很柔软 |
[33:49] | your face is so stern, | 你的脸却很严肃 |
[33:51] | just like a little porcelain doll. | 就像个小小的瓷娃娃 |
[33:58] | I think that’s what I’m gonna call you. | 我想我就这么叫你吧 |
[33:59] | My little Dollie. | 我的小洋娃娃 |
[34:06] | You think I look funny? | 你觉得我长得很可笑吗 |
[34:08] | No. Why would you…? | 不 为什么你 |
[34:09] | This is not a joke to me. | 这对我不是个玩笑 |
[34:11] | Hey, I wasn’t… | 我没有 |
[34:12] | You were. | 你就是有 |
[34:13] | Hear me, Albert. If this is just… | 听我说 阿尔伯特 如果对你来说 |
[34:16] | shaking the sheets for you, then you must let me be. | 这只是一时纵欲 那你必须让我离开 |
[34:20] | Oh, Mileva. | 米列娃 |
[34:23] | Can’t you see? | 你看不到吗 |
[34:25] | I’m head over heels in love with your mind. | 我全身上下都爱着你的聪慧 |
[34:43] | Albert, you coming? | 阿尔伯特 你要一起来吗 |
[34:44] | Go away. | 走开 |
[34:47] | Wait, what time is it? | 等等 现在是什么时候了 |
[34:48] | What is time? That is the real question. | 时间是什么 这才是真正的问题 |
[34:50] | Albert, be serious, we’re late for class. | 阿尔伯特 认真点 我们上课要迟到了 |
[34:52] | What does it matter? I told you, | 这有什么关系 我跟你说过 |
[34:54] | I’ll help you catch up. Besides, | 我会帮你赶上进度 再说 |
[34:56] | attendance isn’t required, only that we pass the exams. | 出席又不是必要的 只要通过考试就行 |
[34:59] | It may not be required, but it’s certainly expected | 出席可能不是必要的 但绝对是学校期待的 |
[35:01] | and I cannot fall below expectations. | 我的表现不能低于学校的期待 |
[35:04] | Such expectations are for small minds. | 这种期待只适合心胸狭小的人 |
[35:07] | For men like Weber, who are slaves to convention. | 适合韦伯这种墨守成规的男人 |
[35:10] | Men without creativity or vision. | 缺乏创意或远见的男人 |
[35:13] | I am not a man. | 我不是男人 |
[35:16] | Thank God for that. | 幸好你不是 |
[35:24] | It’s months before exams. | 考试前还有好几个月 |
[35:28] | What’s one more morning? | 一个早上不上课又怎样 |
[35:41] | Shall I brew more? | 要我再泡茶吗 |
[35:44] | It’s still warm and it’s been a while. | 茶还是热的 已经有一阵子了 |
[35:46] | Well, the law of cooling is a decaying exponential, | 冷却定律是指数衰减的图像 |
[35:47] | but you need a measurement on the liquid | 但你需要对液体进行测量 |
[35:49] | to get the heat transfer coefficient. | 才能得到热传导系数 |
[35:50] | Don’t worry about the measurement for now. | 现在别担心测量问题 |
[35:52] | We’ll find a new way to think about it. | 我们会找到新方法来思考它 |
[35:54] | All right, so… | 好吧 所以 |
[35:55] | forget the tea entirely. | 不考虑茶水 |
[35:57] | What if we thought of molecules like people? | 如果我们把分子想像成人呢 |
[36:01] | Yes! | 没错 |
[36:01] | Moving at impossible speeds, | 以不可思议的速度移动 |
[36:03] | bumping in to one another. | 彼此互相碰撞 |
[36:04] | And the amount of pressure people feel | 而且人感受的压力量 |
[36:05] | can be understood by how frequently these bumps happen. | 能够以碰撞频率来计算 |
[36:08] | More people… | 越多人 |
[36:09] | – more pressure. – No, not necessarily. | -压力越大 -不 不一定 |
[36:11] | How big is the room? | 空间有多大 |
[36:14] | Say they’re crammed into a crowded hallway. | 假设他们挤在一条拥挤的走廊 |
[36:16] | Jostling and bumping, late for class. | 推挤碰撞 上课迟到 |
[36:20] | High pressure, yes? | 压力很大对吧 |
[36:38] | Mileva? | 米列娃 |
[36:41] | Are you all right? | 你没事吗 |
[36:42] | I am. | 没事 |
[36:45] | Now let’s place them in a grand ballroom. | 现在我们把他们放在很大的舞厅 |
[36:47] | The same people, | 人数相同 |
[36:49] | no more, no less. | 不多也不少 |
[36:52] | Only now, ten times the size. | 现在空间增加了十倍 |
[36:56] | Enough to dance freely around the room. | 足够让他们自在跳舞 |
[37:00] | More volume…. | 空间越大 |
[37:01] | Fewer collisions… | 碰撞越少 |
[37:03] | Lower pressure. | 压力越小 |
[37:24] | Let’s write a paper together. | 我们一起写篇论文吧 |
[37:25] | On what? This isn’t a new thought, | 关于什么 这又不是新的想法 |
[37:27] | just a new way of seeing it. | 只是一种看待事物的新方法 |
[37:28] | What if this is the way to prove | 说不定这就是证明 |
[37:29] | the existence of molecules? | 分子存在的方法呢 |
[37:32] | Doesn’t it sound like fun, Dollie? | 听起来不有趣吗 洋娃娃 |
[37:33] | You and me writing a paper | 你和我一起写论文 |
[37:35] | that could change the world. | 这篇文章可能会改变世界 |
[37:36] | The probability of chaos. | 混乱度的概率性 |
[37:38] | Not the title I would choose, but… | 换了我可能不会选这个题目 不过 |
[37:41] | we can discuss it. | 我们可以商量 |
[37:42] | I tried to tell you, | 我是想告诉你 |
[37:44] | Einstein’s like all the other Jews… | 爱因斯坦和所有犹太人一样 |
[37:46] | obnoxious and self-aggrandizing. | 让人讨厌 自我膨胀 |
[37:50] | Oh, apologies, Hermann. | 抱歉 赫尔曼 |
[37:53] | You’ve always been an exception. | 你永远是个例外 |
[37:55] | Oh, why, thank you. | 是吗 多谢了 |
[37:57] | I made every effort to act as a mentor | 我尽了一切努力想做好 |
[37:59] | to that young man. | 这个年轻人的导师 |
[38:00] | Fail him if you must. | 必要的话让他不及格吧 |
[38:02] | I am no longer concerned for his future. | 我再也不操心他的未来了 |
[38:04] | I’ll draft a letter of reprimand. | 我会草拟一封训诫信 |
[38:07] | The mean kinetic energy is always the same, | 平均动能永远保持不变 |
[38:10] | whether its atoms are chemically bound or not. | 无论它的原子是否以化学方式结合 |
[38:13] | Hence, equal increments of mean kinetic energy | 因此 平均动能的增量 |
[38:17] | correspond to equal increments of temperature. | 应与相应温度的增量相等 |
[38:21] | And the specific heat is… | 而比热是… |
[38:28] | Something wrong? | 出什么事了吗 |
[38:36] | Not a single thing. | 一点事都没有 |
[38:52] | Isn’t it a miracle, Dollie? | 这是不是奇迹 洋娃娃 |
[38:55] | So many of us, millions and millions. | 世上有千千万万个人 |
[39:00] | How ever did we find each other? | 我们是怎么找到彼此的 |
[39:02] | We are a mere month from your final exams. | 离期末考试只有一个月了 |
[39:05] | Your performance will determine your future. | 你们的成绩将决定你们的未来 |
[39:07] | Every single one of you has the ability to succeed. | 你们每个人都有能力获得成功 |
[39:11] | – Have you seen Albert? – But do you have the will, | -见到阿尔伯特了吗 -但你们是否有决心 |
[39:12] | the commitment? | 努力达成目标 |
[39:18] | Good morning, dear Dollie. | 早上好 亲爱的洋娃娃 |
[39:20] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[39:22] | I had the most wonderful dream last night. | 我昨晚做了个无比美妙的梦 |
[39:26] | We were dancing along the string | 我们在小提琴的琴弦上 |
[39:29] | of my violin. | 跳舞 |
[39:32] | And I woke up with this thought. | 我醒过来时就在想 |
[39:35] | What if the properties of different gases | 也许不同气体的性质 |
[39:38] | are just like the different timbres | 就犹如不同乐器的 |
[39:40] | of musical instruments? | 音色一样 |
[39:43] | All accounted for by their different molecular makeup. | 全都取决于它们分子组成的不同 |
[39:47] | That’s thrilling. | 这真令人兴奋 |
[39:48] | Isn’t it, though? | 可不是吗 |
[39:50] | Back in the blink of an eye. | 我马上回来 |
[39:54] | Make us some tea, Dollie. | 煮点茶吧 洋娃娃 |
[40:25] | 玛莉·温特勒 | |
[40:44] | – Liar! – Dollie, what… what… | -骗子 -洋娃娃 怎么… |
[40:45] | Do not call me that! | 不准这么叫我 |
[40:49] | “My dearest Albert, | “我最亲爱的阿尔伯特 |
[40:51] | I hope you’re still enjoying the teapot.” | 愿你还喜欢着茶壶” |
[40:56] | You promised me! | 你对我保证过 |
[40:59] | But you haven’t supported my studies. | 可你并没有支持我的学业 |
[41:01] | You haven’t helped me catch up. | 也没有帮我补功课 |
[41:04] | You’ve siphoned my time, | 你榨取了我的时间 |
[41:05] | my thoughts, my energy, | 我的想法 我的精力 |
[41:07] | all for your own gain. | 都是为了你自己 |
[41:09] | How could you be so careless with my heart?! | 你怎么可以对我的感情毫不在乎 |
[41:11] | – But I… I have… – Stop! | -可我在乎… -住口 |
[41:15] | Let me explain, please. | 听我解释 求你 |
[41:16] | You only cared about yourself. | 你只在乎你自己 |
[41:19] | You haven’t even tried to understand me. | 你根本没有想要理解我 |
[41:21] | – How hard I must work. – No. | -我必须多么努力 -不 |
[41:25] | How tireless I must be. | 我必须多么勤奋 |
[41:27] | How strong and cold | 要多么坚强和冷静 |
[41:29] | to have the slimmest hope | 才能有那么一丝希望 |
[41:32] | of being taken seriously. | 被人正眼相待吗 |
[41:34] | To be given an ounce of the respect | 才能获得你们男人一出生 |
[41:37] | you receive instantly by virtue of your manhood! | 就能得到的一丝尊重 |
[41:41] | Mileva, please… | 米列娃 求你… |
[41:42] | No! I knew… | 不 我早知道 |
[41:45] | I knew this would happen. | 我早知道事情会这样 |
[41:49] | What an idiot I am! | 我真是蠢 |
[41:53] | We’ve got mere weeks until the exams. | 离考试只有几个礼拜了 |
[41:58] | Mileva… | 米列娃 |
[41:59] | I’m crazy. | 我真是疯了 |
[42:00] | No. | 不 |
[42:02] | You’ve made me crazy! | 是你让我变疯的 |
[42:04] | No. | 不 |
[42:07] | – Mileva, please… – Do not… | -米列娃 求你 -别… |
[42:09] | speak to me ever again. | 再和我说一句话 |
[42:14] | Wait. | 等等 |
[42:27] | If a curved surface is developed | 无论在什么表面上 |
[42:29] | on any other surface whatever, | 建立一个曲面 |
[42:32] | the degree of curvature in each point | 每个点的曲度 |
[42:35] | remains unchanged. | 都保持不变 |
[42:36] | This “Theorema Egregium” from Gauss | 高斯绝妙定理表达高斯曲率的一个定理 高斯曲率是曲面的内蕴几何量 该定理是高斯方程的直接推论 高斯的”绝妙定理” |
[42:39] | has had a significant impact on cartography… | 对制图学有着巨大的影响 高斯绝妙定理表达高斯曲率的一个定理 高斯曲率是曲面的内蕴几何量 该定理是高斯方程的直接推论 |
[42:52] | Miss Maric. | 马里奇小姐 |
[42:54] | Are you all right? | 你还好吗 |
[42:57] | Is there anything that I can do for you? | 需要我帮忙吗 |
[43:08] | 米列娃·马里奇 | |
[43:09] | Not at all. | 不用了 |
[43:10] | Good day. | 日安 |
[43:30] | My dear Frau Winteler. | 亲爱的温特勒夫人 |
[43:33] | It is with a heavy heart I write | 我怀着沉重的心情写信给您 |
[43:35] | and ask you to share my thoughts and feelings | 来告诉您我对令媛玛莉的 |
[43:37] | with your dearest, Marie. | 一些想法和感受 |
[43:41] | She deserves more attention than I have to give. | 我无法给予她足够的关爱 |
[43:45] | My studies consume all my time and thought. | 我的学业占用了我所有的时间和精力 |
[43:48] | And I fear I have already caused the dear child | 而且 恐怕我已经给她带来了 |
[43:51] | too much pain. | 太多的痛苦 |
[43:53] | Please make sure she understands. | 希望她能理解 |
[43:59] | I hope she, and you all, can forgive me. | 我希望她和你们所有人 都能原谅我 |
[44:07] | I need your notes. Geometry, the last two terms. | 我需要你几何学的笔记 最近两学期的 |
[44:11] | I was wondering when you would pull your head out | 我还在想你什么时候会把脑袋 |
[44:12] | from between the gimp’s thighs. | 从那跛脚女的两腿间抽出来 |
[44:13] | Do not speak of her that way. | 不许这么说她 |
[44:16] | Of course. | 当然 |
[44:18] | My apologies. | 抱歉 |
[44:20] | I’ll get them now. | 我这就去拿 |
[44:36] | You were right. | 你说得对 |
[44:37] | I was careless. | 之前我是不太上心 |
[44:40] | It really has been over with Marie for some time, | 我和玛莉之间早就结束了 |
[44:42] | but… I just… | 但我只是… |
[44:45] | I didn’t want to hurt her, | 我不想伤害她 |
[44:47] | so I… didn’t say anything at all. | 所以我什么也没说 |
[44:51] | But it’s done now. | 但现在一切都结束了 |
[44:53] | I’ve made it clear. And… | 我已经表明态度了 而且 |
[44:57] | as unfair as I was to her, | 尽管我这么对她很不公平 |
[44:58] | I’ve been ten times more so to you. I was… | 但我这么对你更是不公平 我… |
[45:02] | I’ve been horrid and selfish | 我很可恶 很自私 |
[45:04] | and you’re right to want nothing more to do with me. | 你想和我撇清关系也是对的 |
[45:11] | Those are Marcel’s notes. | 这些是马塞尔的笔记 |
[45:12] | The last two terms. | 最近两学期的 |
[45:15] | I copied them for you. | 我抄了一份给你 |
[45:17] | They’re yours to keep. | 都给你 |
[45:20] | I hope… | 我希望 |
[45:22] | they will undo some of the damage that I have done. | 这样可以弥补一些我对你的伤害 |
[45:27] | And… | 还有 |
[45:30] | if you would like my help, | 如果你想要我的帮助 |
[45:32] | then I would love nothing more than to give it. | 我会非常乐意伸出援手 |
[45:36] | I ask for nothing in return. | 不求回报 |
[45:48] | Sit down. | 坐下 |
[46:03] | It has been a pleasure having all you gentlemen in class. | 非常高兴能与各位先生共度一个学年 |
[46:08] | I wish you the best. | 祝你们好运 |
[46:10] | You may begin. | 你们可以开始了 |
[46:28] | I know I said | 我知道我说过 |
[46:30] | I wouldn’t ask you for anything. | 我不会向你索取什么 |
[46:31] | And what I’m about to say may sound like I am, so… | 而我将要说的事 听上去好像我有所企图 |
[46:36] | This is just an offer. | 这只是个提议 |
[46:40] | Be my partner. | 做我的伴侣吧 |
[46:43] | In life, in love, | 一起生活 相亲相爱 |
[46:45] | in endless scientific pursuit. | 一起追寻无止境的科学真理 |
[46:47] | Let’s build a beautiful bohemian existence together. | 让我们共塑一个不受世俗束缚的美好生活吧 |
[46:52] | I don’t know what that means. | 我不知道那是什么意思 |
[46:53] | You do. | 你知道的 |
[46:54] | We had it. | 我们曾经拥有过 |
[46:55] | It was… it was perfect. | 很完美 |
[46:57] | But it can’t stay that way. | 但不可能永远那样 |
[47:00] | You and I, alone, together, we fit, | 你和我 单独在一起 没问题 |
[47:02] | like pencils in the box. | 就像笔盒里的铅笔 |
[47:04] | But out in the world, it’s nothing but endless… | 但在外面的世界 我们会遇到各种 |
[47:08] | possibilities for us to crash into things. Irreversibly. | 不确定的随机事件 都是不可逆的 |
[47:11] | People are not molecules, Mileva. | 人又不是分子 米列娃 |
[47:13] | Please… when I’m not with you, | 求你了 没你有在身边 |
[47:15] | I feel as if I’m not whole. | 我感觉自己是不完整的 |
[47:18] | Let’s remain students as long as we live. | 让我们永远保持着学生身份 |
[47:21] | Alone. Together. | 只有我们俩 一起 |
[47:27] | Herr Einstein. | 爱因斯坦先生 |
[47:28] | – Congratulations. – Sir? | -恭喜 -先生 |
[47:31] | The results will be posted shortly, | 成绩马上会公布 |
[47:32] | but you passed your exams. | 你通过了考试 |
[47:33] | By the skin of your teeth, of course. | 当然了 只是勉强通过 |
[47:37] | Good day. | 日安 |
[47:45] | Dollie. | 洋娃娃 |
[47:50] | 塞尔维亚 卡克 | |
[47:51] | 三个月后 塞尔维亚 卡克 | |
[48:21] | Miza! | 米扎 |
[48:23] | Hello, Papa. | 你好 爸爸 |
[48:24] | So wonderful to see you. | 见到你真好 |
[48:25] | – I’ve missed you, too. – Did you? | -我也想你 -是吗 |
[48:31] | Your mother and I were beginning to worry you’d never come home. | 我和你母亲还担心你是否永远不回来了 |
[48:34] | In all your letters, you never explained | 你在信里都没说过 |
[48:36] | what has kept you these months. | 你这几个月都在干什么 |
[48:39] | I’m so sorry, Papa. | 抱歉 爸爸 |
[48:42] | I failed you. | 我让你失望了 |
[48:44] | Your exams? | 考试吗 |
[48:45] | You’ll go back. | 你可以回去 |
[48:46] | You’ll try again. | 可以补考 |
[48:49] | Was this why you stayed away? | 这就是你不回来的原因吗 |
[48:51] | No. | 不是 |
[48:53] | I… | 我 |
[48:55] | – I don’t know how to… – Mileva Maric, | -我不知道该如何… -米列娃·马里奇 |
[48:58] | come here this instant. | 快过来 |
[49:09] | I’m so sorry, Papa. | 抱歉 爸爸 |
[49:12] | I’m so sorry. | 真的很抱歉 |