时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | I’d like to talk to you about something other then relativity. | 我想跟大家讲一讲相对论之外的事情 |
[00:05] | I wish I could just move beyond the damn theory. | 我希望自己能超越这该死的理论 |
[00:08] | This is the idea I had been missing to complete relativity. | 这就是我完成相对论所缺少的想法 |
[00:12] | Acceleration and gravity are the same thing. | 加速度和重力是一回事 |
[00:14] | And an astronomer could prove it. | 天文学家可以证明这个理论 |
[00:16] | I found you an astronomer. | 我给你找到了一位天文学家 |
[00:17] | Name is Freundlich. | 叫弗罗因德利希 |
[00:19] | I will never feel anything but love for you, Mileva. | 但我对你的感情永远只有爱 米列娃 |
[00:22] | You had plenty to say to that chesty brunette. | 你和那个大胸黑发女相谈甚欢啊 |
[00:24] | I have never been unfaithful to you. | 我从没对你不忠 |
[00:26] | Professor Haber, have I ever mentioned | 哈伯教授 我有没有提过 |
[00:28] | that my cousin is Albert Einstein? | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦是我表兄 |
[00:30] | Haber? He’s legendary. | 哈伯 他是个传奇 |
[00:32] | Mileva makes life at home unbearable. | 米列娃使我难以忍受家庭生活 |
[00:35] | Not every marriage is meant to last forever. | 并非每段婚姻都能天长地久 |
[00:38] | He’s just the kind of man we want in the academy. | 他正是我们希望学院能有的那类人 |
[00:39] | He’s a dreamer. | 他是个梦想家 |
[00:40] | Not a rigorous scientist. | 不是个严谨的科学家 |
[00:41] | 阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦先生 | |
[00:43] | 普鲁士科学院 普鲁士学院 | |
[00:44] | I don’t know if I can accept. | 我不知道要不要接受 |
[00:45] | I can’t go to Berlin without an answer. | 没有答复 我无法安心地回柏林 |
[00:48] | I can’t move to Berlin, Elsa. | 我不能搬去柏林 爱尔莎 |
[00:50] | There are other people to consider. | 还要考虑其他人 |
[00:51] | Most importantly, my sons. | 但最重要的 还要考虑我儿子们 |
[00:53] | It would only be because I want to be with you. | 只可能是因为我想跟你在一起 |
[00:56] | Is that so terrible? | 有这么糟糕吗 |
[01:08] | 《我的战争》 | |
[01:26] | 天才 | |
[01:34] | Of all the planets and stars | 在所有星辰中 |
[01:38] | there is only one Venus, | 只有金星[维纳斯] |
[01:39] | named for the goddess of beauty and love. | 以”爱与美的女神”来命名 |
[01:45] | Erwin Freundlich, are you attempting to seduce me? | 欧文·弗罗因德利希 你是在引诱我吗 |
[01:49] | I’m merely pointing out that we are | 我只是想指出 |
[01:54] | in the ideal position to observe Venus. | 我们正位于观察金星的理想位置 |
[01:59] | On Venus day, in fact, | 并且今天是金曜日 |
[02:01] | which was later named Friday, | 后来改名为星期五了 |
[02:04] | in honor of Frigg, the wife of Odin. | 为了纪念奥丁的妻子 芙丽嘉 |
[02:08] | I’m quite certain you didn’t bring me all the way | 你大老远带我来这里 |
[02:11] | out here for a lesson in Norse mythology. | 肯定不是为了给我讲挪威神话吧 |
[02:15] | I… | 我… |
[02:16] | You what? | 怎么 |
[02:23] | Kate Hirschber, will you do me the honor | 凯特·海因斯伯 你愿给我这个荣幸 |
[02:28] | of being my wife? | 做我的妻子吗 |
[02:31] | Yes. | 愿意 |
[02:40] | That is… quite fortunate. | 真是太幸运了 |
[02:44] | Because I have already made arrangements for our honeymoon. | 因为我已经安排好了蜜月 |
[02:50] | How does Zurich sound? | 苏黎世怎么样 |
[02:53] | 苏黎世 数周后 | |
[02:55] | It’s an honor to meet you, Professor Haber. | 见到你很荣幸 哈伯教授 |
[02:57] | Erwin and I are hoping to recruit you | 我和欧文希望招募你 |
[03:00] | as an ally in our mission. | 作为我们使命的同盟 |
[03:02] | Mission? | “使命” |
[03:03] | You make it sound as though you’re going to war. | 听起来好像你要上战场了一般 |
[03:05] | Aren’t I? | 不是吗 |
[03:06] | You know the vitriol that’s been aimed at me. | 你知道外面疯传着中伤我的刻薄话 |
[03:09] | That tends to happen when you make radical claims | 你提出”重力使光扭曲”这种激进主张 |
[03:12] | such as “Gravity bends light.” | 这种事就不可避免 |
[03:15] | You’ve ruffled quite a few feathers. | 你已经得罪了不少人 |
[03:17] | And we intend to unruffle them. | 我们打算安抚他们 |
[03:19] | By offering up something that the critics can’t argue against, | 提供一些那些反对者无法争辩的东西 |
[03:23] | proof. | 证据 |
[03:24] | In the form of astronomical photographs. | 以天文照片的形式 |
[03:27] | Consider Mercury, the closest planet to the sun. | 水星是距离太阳最近的行星 |
[03:32] | Unlike the other seven planets, | 和另外七颗行星不同 |
[03:34] | Mercury’s orbit doesn’t conform to Newtonian laws. | 水星的轨道并不符合牛顿学说 |
[03:37] | It’s off. | 轨道偏移了 |
[03:38] | Le Verrier proposed that Mercury’s path is affected by | 勒威耶认为水星的轨道受到了 |
[03:42] | the pull of a yet undiscovered planet, | 一颗尚未发现的行星引力影响 |
[03:44] | a planet he named Vulcan. | 他称之为”伏尔坎” |
[03:46] | There is no Vulcan. | 根本没有”伏尔坎” |
[03:47] | Then how do you explain the anomalous orbit? | 那你如何解释轨道异常 |
[03:50] | Picture, if you will, the vastness of space, | 想象一下浩瀚的宇宙 |
[03:53] | and through it, a framework of invisible lines | 遍布着看不见的线框 |
[03:58] | like wire mesh supporting a pillar of concrete. | 就像支撑着混凝土柱的铁丝网 |
[04:01] | Yet unlike rigid wire, | 和硬丝不同的是 |
[04:05] | this grid work is curved, | 这片网格是弯曲的 |
[04:07] | like fabric around any object of mass. | 就像围绕着任何有质量物体的纤维 |
[04:12] | Which causes Mercury’s orbit to change each cycle. | 导致水星的轨道每个周期都会变化 |
[04:16] | Extraordinary. | 真是意想不到 |
[04:17] | I believe that this same effect occurs | 我认为 当星光经过太阳时 |
[04:20] | when starlight passes by the sun. | 这种现象会再次出现 |
[04:23] | But the only way to confirm this theory | 但只有在日食时 |
[04:26] | is during a solar eclipse. | 才能证明这个推测 |
[04:28] | Why an eclipse? | 为什么要日食 |
[04:43] | Can you see the smaller stars? | 你能看到那些小星星吗 |
[04:45] | No. | 不能 |
[04:47] | But if we block out the light from the sun, | 但如果我们挡住太阳光 |
[04:49] | you can see them more clearly. | 就能看得更清楚 |
[04:51] | During an eclipse, | 在日食期间 |
[04:53] | Erwin can photograph the position of stars in the daytime sky, | 欧文可以在白天拍摄星星的位置 |
[04:58] | and we can compare them to their position in the night sky. | 我们就可以跟它们在夜晚的位置做比较 |
[05:02] | Thus proving. | 由此证明 |
[05:03] | The sun’s gravity bends starlight. | 太阳的引力可以使星光弯曲 |
[05:07] | Clever, indeed. | 确实聪明 |
[05:09] | Fortunately, for us, just such an eclipse occurs | 幸运的是 几个月之后 |
[05:11] | in a few months’ time. | 就会发生这样的日食 |
[05:13] | And the ideal position to photograph | 而此次拍摄日全食的理想地点 |
[05:14] | the fullest point of that eclipse is in Crimea. | 就在克里米亚 |
[05:18] | Russia? | 俄国 |
[05:20] | – Such an expedition would cost. – 6,000 marks, give or take. | -这样的考察开销不小 -六千马克左右 |
[05:25] | An extravagant sum. | 耗资巨大 |
[05:27] | Which surely the illustrious Prussian Academy can afford. | 著名的普鲁士科学院是肯定能负担得起 |
[05:30] | And you expect me to convince them? | 你是想让我去说服他们吗 |
[05:34] | Well, I’ll make the proposal, but a few good words | 项目我来提议 但是你事前美言几句 |
[05:37] | from you in advance could help settle the matter. | 就能帮助我们解决问题 |
[05:40] | Albert, your idea, it’s astounding. | 阿尔伯特 你的想法令人叹服 |
[05:44] | But I fear the wheels of the academy don’t turn as fast | 但是我担心学院的运转不会像你聪明的 |
[05:46] | as your nimble mind. | 大脑一样那么灵活 |
[05:47] | These things take time. | 这种事需要时间 |
[05:49] | We don’t have time. | 可我们没有时间 |
[05:50] | There won’t be another eclipse for years. | 未来好几年都不会有日食了 |
[05:55] | Well, then, I suppose you’d better come to Berlin | 那么 我觉得你最好尽快 |
[05:58] | as soon as possible. | 赶去柏林 |
[06:01] | Of course. | 当然 |
[06:02] | I just have to settle a few family matters first. | 我先把一些家庭事务安顿好 |
[06:07] | I suppose I should be cross with Erwin | 我估计我会生欧文的气 |
[06:08] | for not telling me the real reason he wanted to come to Zürich. | 因为他没告诉我他想来苏黎世的真正原因 |
[06:12] | And why didn’t he? | 他为什么没说呢 |
[06:14] | I imagine he thought I’d object to his working | 他或许认为我会反对他 |
[06:16] | during our honeymoon. | 度蜜月的时候工作 |
[06:17] | And having a complete stranger foisted upon you as hostess? | 还让一个陌生人硬要接待你 |
[06:21] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[06:22] | If it’s an imposition. | 让你为难了 |
[06:23] | No, I’m simply saying it’s hardly the honeymoon | 不 我只是说这不是新娘 |
[06:25] | a bride dreams of. | 所憧憬的蜜月 |
[06:27] | It’s a small concession, really. | 我确实是做了点让步 |
[06:28] | The price we pay for being married to men with brilliant minds, | 这就是我们嫁给头脑聪明的男人 |
[06:32] | don’t you think? | 所要付出的代价 你觉得呢 |
[06:35] | I think you should expect honesty in a husband. | 我觉得你还是指望丈夫诚实比较好 |
[06:40] | Men all have their secrets, don’t they? | 男人不都有自己的小秘密吗 |
[06:48] | Are you looking forward to Berlin? | 你期待去柏林吗 |
[06:50] | Berlin? | 柏林 |
[06:51] | Why would you say that? | 为什么这么说 |
[06:52] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[06:53] | Erwin mentioned that you were moving there. | 欧文告诉我你们要搬过去 |
[07:07] | Papa, papa. | 爸爸 爸爸 |
[07:14] | Eduard sank our boat in the pond. | 爱德华把我们的船沉到池塘里了 |
[07:16] | Well, then, we need to find a more reliable vessel. | 那我们需要再找一条更可靠的船了 |
[07:19] | Why don’t we build a kite? | 咱们做风筝吧 |
[07:21] | Yes, a kite. | 好的 风筝 |
[07:22] | Go fetch your coats. | 去拿衣服 |
[07:23] | We’ll buy some materials. | 我们去买些材料 |
[07:36] | Berlin? | 柏林 |
[07:37] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 你为什么不告诉我 |
[07:40] | I d- I didn’t want to | 我 我不想 |
[07:42] | worry you before everything was arranged. | 在一切还没安排好之前就让你担忧 |
[07:45] | I’m your wife. | 我是你妻子 |
[07:47] | You didn’t even think to consult me? | 你都没想过问问我的意见吗 |
[07:49] | It’s the Prussian Academy, Mileva. | 那可是普鲁士科学院 米列娃 |
[07:51] | You know what this means for our future. | 你知道这对我们的未来意味着什么 |
[07:54] | Are you really concerned with our future or yours? | 你关心的究竟是我们的未来还是你的未来 |
[07:57] | We just returned to Zürich. | 我们才刚回到苏黎世 |
[07:59] | Because you were so miserable in Prague, | 因为你在布拉格痛苦不堪 |
[08:01] | but nothing changes. | 但是什么都没有变 |
[08:03] | You’re sullen and short with me for reasons | 你对我懊恼冷漠 |
[08:05] | that I don’t understand. | 我却不能理解为什么 |
[08:07] | How is it that you can grasp | 你能够领会 |
[08:09] | the most intricate concepts in science, | 科学领域里最错综复杂的概念 |
[08:11] | yet you pretend not to understand me? | 却假装不理解我吗 |
[08:15] | We were to be partners, Albert. | 我们本该是搭档 阿尔伯特 |
[08:17] | In everything. | 所有事都是 |
[08:19] | We’re ready, Papa. | 我们准备好了 爸爸 |
[08:27] | Now I’m not even included in decisions that uproot our children. | 现在我连事关孩子迁移的事都不能参与决策了 |
[08:38] | Trust me, Miza. | 相信我 米扎 |
[08:41] | This is for the best. | 这是最好的安排 |
[08:51] | Pictures alone won’t appease my skeptics. | 只靠照片无法打消我的疑虑 |
[08:53] | The theory has to be mathematically solid. | 理论必须根基于坚实的数学基础之上 |
[08:56] | It’s not as if we’ve been sitting around here eating sausages. | 这跟我们围坐在这里吃香肠可不一样 |
[08:59] | Though we have consumed our share of schnitzel. | 吃猪排的预算已经花完了 |
[09:01] | Be serious, Marcel. | 认真点 马塞尔 |
[09:03] | I need proof in hand before Freundlich departs for Crimea. | 我得在弗罗因德利希去克里米亚之前找到证据 |
[09:07] | It’s the only way to rally the academy behind me. | 只有这样学院才会支持我 |
[09:10] | Albert, since when are you so concerned with | 艾尔伯特 你从什么时候开始在意 |
[09:13] | the opinions of the overstuffed establishment? | 这种草包机构的看法了 |
[09:17] | You know, my father once told me | 我爸曾经告诉我 |
[09:24] | physics is not a vocation. | 物理不是一个职业 |
[09:29] | And he was right. | 他说得对 |
[09:31] | For me, it’s everything. | 对我来说 物理是一切 |
[09:36] | And general relativity is… | 而广义相对论则是 |
[09:41] | well, it’s the most beautiful idea I’ve ever had. | 则是我曾有过的最绝妙的想法 |
[09:45] | The culmination of all my hours daydreaming as a boy, | 我儿时所有白日梦的最高点 |
[09:49] | all, all the years of study, | 这么多年来的研究 |
[09:52] | of battling those who doubted me. | 和质疑我的人做抗争 |
[09:55] | I want the world to see, finally, what I see | 最终 我想让世界看到我所看到的 |
[09:58] | and marvel at the magnificence of what God has created. | 并惊叹于上帝造物的伟大 |
[10:02] | Well, if you want to make them marvel at the magnificence, | 如果你想要让他们惊叹于那些伟大 |
[10:07] | perhaps you shouldn’t rush off to Berlin | 也许我们在这里的工作完成之前 |
[10:09] | before our work here is done. | 你不该急着去柏林 |
[10:13] | Why are you suddenly in such a hurry to return to a country | 你为什么要突然急于回到一个 |
[10:17] | whose citizenship you have renounced? | 你已放弃其国籍的国家呢 |
[10:23] | 德国 柏林 | |
[10:26] | I counted the hours, Albert. | 我度日如年 阿尔伯特 |
[10:29] | And now, finally, here you are. | 现在 你终于来了 |
[10:32] | You made it all happen, Elsa. | 是你促成这一切的 爱尔莎 |
[10:34] | I wish you could spend the night. | 我希望你能在这过夜 |
[10:37] | It would be so lovely to make you breakfast in the morning. | 能在早晨为你准备早餐的话就太美好了 |
[10:42] | With you, it’s all sunshine. | 与你一起 便是晴天 |
[10:47] | At home, a cloud of anger. | 在家 只有愤怒的阴霾 |
[10:51] | You should know. | 你该知道 |
[10:53] | Clara Haber has invited the girls and me to dinner | 克拉拉·哈勃邀请了姑娘们和我 |
[10:55] | with your family. | 与你全家共进晚餐 |
[10:58] | You cannot accept. | 你不能答应 |
[10:59] | Albert, Clara is a keen woman. | 阿尔伯特 克拉拉是个敏锐的女人 |
[11:03] | Refusing her invitation would only arouse suspicion. | 拒绝她的邀请只会引起疑虑 |
[11:12] | And, so, how are you finding Berlin? | 你觉得柏林怎么样 |
[11:15] | To be quite honest, I miss Zürich. | 老实说 我怀念苏黎世 |
[11:18] | It was home. | 那是家 |
[11:21] | But you’re originally from Serbia, of course? | 但你是来自塞尔维亚的对吧 |
[11:24] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:26] | I’m sure you read in the papers of the Archduke’s assassination. | 我相信你看到报纸上大公被刺杀的新闻了 |
[11:29] | Shocking news. | 令人震惊的新闻 |
[11:30] | They’re saying it was at the hands of a Serb, | 人们说凶手是个塞尔维亚人 |
[11:32] | protesting Austria’s annexation of Bosnia. | 抗议奥地利吞并波斯尼亚 |
[11:35] | Do you think we’ll continue to see anarchy | 你觉得斯拉夫国家的无政府状态 |
[11:37] | in the Slavic territories? | 还会持续吗 |
[11:40] | In my opinion, Dr. Haber, I imagine the Slavic nations | 在我看来 哈勃博士 我认为斯拉夫国家 |
[11:43] | will continue to defend against anyone | 会继续反抗那些 |
[11:45] | who views them as mere “territories” to be acquired. | 只想占领他们领土的人的人 |
[11:48] | Naturally, Mileva would never condone assassination. | 米列娃自然是不会宽恕刺杀行为的 |
[11:50] | And yet I do understand the impulse | 但我却理解那种冲动 |
[11:52] | to protect one’s homeland against the aggression of imperialists. | 为了保护祖国不受帝国主义的侵犯 |
[11:56] | You cannot be suggesting that these rebels are justified. | 你不是在说这些叛军的行为是合理的吧 |
[11:59] | Fritz, surely a strong patriotic spirit is a quality | 弗里茨 一颗强烈的爱国之心 |
[12:02] | any good German can appreciate. | 是任何德国人都该敬重的 |
[12:04] | Now, let us speak no more of politics. | 我们别聊政治了 |
[12:05] | I’ve heard the opera has mounted a new production of Tosca. | 我听说剧院排练了一版新的《托斯卡》 |
[12:09] | Mileva, do you enjoy Puccini? | 米列娃 你喜欢普契尼的歌剧吗 |
[12:12] | I do. | 喜欢 |
[12:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[12:18] | For what? | 谢什么 |
[12:20] | For making me feel welcome. | 谢你让我觉得我是受欢迎的 |
[12:22] | Think nothing of it. | 别在意 |
[12:25] | Albert’s mother has always been so critical of me. | 阿尔伯特的母亲总是在挑剔我 |
[12:27] | I fretted for days about meeting more of the family. | 要见他其他的家人使我焦虑了好几天 |
[12:31] | Oh, well, you must put your fears to rest. | 你不必惊慌 |
[12:34] | You’re very kind. | 你真好 |
[12:35] | It means a great deal to me. | 这对我来说意义重大 |
[12:52] | Herr Freundlich’s expedition will travel through | 弗罗因德利希先生的探险队 |
[12:55] | Austria, crossing into Russia, | 从奥地利 经过俄罗斯 |
[12:57] | arriving at the Crimean peninsula. | 最终到达克里米亚半岛 |
[13:01] | There he will have approximately two minutes to | 他在那里会有大约两分钟时间 |
[13:04] | complete his observations during the eclipse. | 来完成对日食的观察 |
[13:07] | And have you calculated the cost of this excursion? | 你有没有计算过这次行程的花费 |
[13:10] | 6,000 marks. | 六千马克 |
[13:12] | Does that include caviar? | 这里面包含鱼子酱的钱吗 |
[13:15] | I must assume my esteemed colleagues | 我是希望学校里尊敬的同事们 |
[13:17] | of the Academy see the value in furthering new research | 能理解完成新领域研究的价值 |
[13:21] | rather than simply regurgitating the old. | 而不仅仅是反复学习老的研究 |
[13:25] | Old, as in the distinguished scholars sitting in this room? | 老 是指房里在座的各位杰出学者吗 |
[13:30] | What I believe Professor Einstein is trying to say | 我相信爱因斯坦教授想表达的是 |
[13:32] | is that his generalized theory of relativity merits | 他的广义相对论 |
[13:35] | investigation, and financial investment, as well. | 值得研究 也值得获取经济支持 |
[13:41] | Would you mind giving us a few moments, | 你介意给我们一点时间吗 |
[13:43] | Professor Einstein? | 爱因斯坦教授 |
[14:00] | Good afternoon, Madame. | 下午好 女士 |
[14:01] | Please excuse the intrusion. | 请原谅我的打扰 |
[14:03] | My name is Vladimir Varicak, and I’ve just traveled from… | 我叫弗拉基米尔·瓦利切克 我来自 |
[14:05] | Zagreb. | 萨格勒布 |
[14:06] | I hear it in your voice. | 我听出了你的口音 |
[14:08] | Is it possible I have the good fortune to encounter | 我真的那么幸运 在普鲁士的心脏地带 |
[14:10] | a fellow Slav here in the heart of Prussia? | 遇到了一位斯拉夫老乡吗 |
[14:12] | Is there a heart beating in Germany? | 德国有跳动的心脏吗 |
[14:16] | I have yet to hear it. | 我没听说过 |
[14:17] | I don’t suppose Professor Einstein is at home? | 我猜爱因斯坦教授不在家吧 |
[14:19] | I’m afraid not, but I can direct you to the university. | 恐怕是的 不过我可以告诉你去大学的路 |
[14:22] | Well, yes. | 是的 |
[14:23] | I had an appointment with Professor Einstein at the university, | 我和爱因斯坦教授约在了大学 |
[14:25] | but unfortunately, he was not in attendance. | 但不幸的是 他没出现 |
[14:30] | You’re more than welcome to wait, if you like. | 你愿意的话 欢迎你在这等 |
[14:35] | He should be home shortly. | 他应该很快会回家 |
[14:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:40] | You can’t seriously consider funding this charlatan? | 你不会真的考虑资助这个骗子吧 |
[14:42] | I admit Herr Einstein is eccentric, | 我承认爱因斯坦先生有点古怪 |
[14:46] | but his theories are driven by the same curiosity | 但他的理论是由好奇心所驱动 |
[14:48] | that led professor Planck to his discoveries about quanta. | 正是这种好奇心 使普朗克教授发现了量子 |
[14:50] | The same thinking that led you to your photoelectric effect. | 同样的想法引领你发现光电效应 |
[14:54] | There is nothing about Einstein | 爱因斯坦和我们 |
[14:55] | that is the same as us, Professor Haber. | 毫无相同之处 哈伯教授 |
[14:57] | Although I understand your natural sympathies are with him. | 虽然我能理解你对他的同情心 |
[14:59] | What do you mean by that? | 你这么说是什么意思 |
[15:00] | I think you know precisely what I mean. | 我觉得你完全明白我的意思 |
[15:02] | Has he promised you a share of his profits? | 他承诺要给你利益分红了吗 |
[15:04] | That will be enough, Philipp. | 够了 菲利普 |
[15:07] | Need I remind you both that the kaiser’s directive to | 需要我提醒你们 皇帝给学院的指示是 |
[15:10] | the Academy is to further practical science, | 进一步发展应用科学 |
[15:13] | not uproot the very foundations upon which it is built. | 而不是动摇应用科学的根基 |
[15:26] | Plum brandy? | 梅子白兰地 |
[15:29] | After all these years, a glass of fermented prune juice | 这么多年了 一杯发酵的梅子汁 |
[15:32] | is what you miss most? | 是你最怀念的 |
[15:33] | I miss almost everything about home, | 要这么说的话 |
[15:35] | if you must know the truth. | 我怀念的是几乎是关于家的一切 |
[15:38] | The smell of the spruce trees. | 云杉树的气味 |
[15:40] | The boats on Lake Palic. | 帕利克湖上的船只 |
[15:42] | And what about your family? | 你家人怎么样 |
[15:44] | My brother Milos has enlisted in the army. | 我弟弟米洛斯去参军了 |
[15:47] | I’m worried for him. | 我很担心他 |
[15:49] | Do you think it will come to war? | 你觉得会演变成战争吗 |
[15:51] | Well, we both know the spirit of a Serb is never | 我们都知道塞尔维亚人的精神就是 |
[15:53] | to surrender to tyranny. | 永不屈服于暴政 |
[16:01] | Oh, good lord. | 天呐 |
[16:03] | – I hadn’t noticed the time. – I. | -我都没注意到时间 -我 |
[16:04] | You must excuse me. | 你一定得原谅我 |
[16:06] | I can’t imagine what’s kept Albert, | 我不清楚是什么让阿尔伯特迟到了 |
[16:08] | but I apologize on his behalf. | 但我替他道歉 |
[16:11] | I’m staying at the Excelsior, | 我现在住在精益酒店 |
[16:13] | should professor Einstein find time to reschedule. | 等爱因斯坦博士有空再约 |
[16:16] | I’ll be sure to tell him. | 我一定会转告他的 |
[16:22] | At the risk of sounding forward, | 可能听起来很冒昧 |
[16:23] | may I say I’m almost thankful your husband | 我想说我很感激你丈夫 |
[16:25] | was otherwise occupied. | 没空过来 |
[16:35] | Good day, Frau Einstein. | 祝你今天过得开心 爱因斯坦夫人 |
[16:46] | 2,000 marks. | 两千马克 |
[16:47] | Such a pittance won’t even | 这么少的补贴甚至都没法 |
[16:49] | get Freundlich to the Russian border. | 让弗罗因德利希到达俄国边界 |
[16:51] | They’re obviously trying to deter me altogether. | 很明显他们全都是在阻止我 |
[16:53] | It’s an insult. | 这太无礼了 |
[16:55] | Perhaps I could introduce you to Gustav Krupp. | 我可能可以给你引荐古斯塔夫·克虏伯 |
[16:59] | The industrialist? | 那个实业家 |
[17:01] | You think he would pay for the expedition? | 你以为他会给这次考察买单 |
[17:03] | He fancies himself an intellectual, | 他觉得自己是知识分子 |
[17:05] | and he funds the Prussian Academy. | 还赞助了普鲁士科学院 |
[17:07] | Why not go directly to the source? | 为何不直接去找源头 |
[17:13] | Can you arrange a meeting? | 你能安排会面吗 |
[17:14] | Only on the condition that I accompany you. | 只能在我陪你一起的情况下 |
[17:18] | You can’t bear to be away from me. | 你无法忍受和我分离 |
[17:21] | True, but I also know you’re not always as adept at | 没错 但我也知道你对应酬 |
[17:26] | social niceties as you are with equations. | 不像对方程式那样得心应手 |
[17:29] | I can help iron the inevitable wrinkles. | 我能帮忙掩盖不可避免的小瑕疵 |
[17:33] | What would I do without you? | 没有你我可怎么办 |
[17:41] | Margot, dear. | 玛戈特 |
[17:42] | I was just congratulating cousin Albert | 我刚只是在祝贺阿尔伯特表弟 |
[17:45] | on his upcoming expedition. | 即将到来的考察活动 |
[17:55] | Where have you been? | 你去哪了 |
[17:56] | The Academy. | 学院 |
[18:00] | You had a visitor, | 有人来拜访你 |
[18:01] | a mathematician with whom you broke an appointment. | 你失约的一个数学家 |
[18:03] | Varicak? | 瓦利切克 |
[18:04] | He’s of no consequence. | 无关紧要 |
[18:05] | He waited for hours. | 他等了好几个小时 |
[18:07] | He writes almost weekly trying to poke holes | 他几乎每周写信 |
[18:10] | in my theory. | 想找我论文里的漏洞 |
[18:12] | I only agreed to meeting him to get him to stop. | 我答应和他见面只是为了让他别找茬了 |
[18:14] | He traveled for hours. | 他过来花了好几小时 |
[18:15] | The least you… | 你至少 |
[18:16] | I’m afraid it will have to wait. | 恐怕只能再等等了 |
[18:17] | I’m leaving tomorrow for Essen. | 我明天出发去埃森市 |
[18:18] | I’ll be gone several days. | 会去好几天 |
[18:20] | You’re barely home as it is. | 你几乎不怎么在家 |
[18:22] | Mileva, I have spent the entire day | 米列娃 我一整天都在 |
[18:26] | defending myself to the Academy. | 跟学院据理力争 |
[18:28] | I will not be forced to do it in my own home. | 不想在自己家也被迫如此 |
[18:32] | I was under the impression it was our home. | 我还以为这是我们的家 |
[18:36] | Mileva, I am trying to prove the most important | 米列娃 我在努力证明 |
[18:40] | discovery of my life. | 我这辈子最重要的发现 |
[18:42] | You of all people should understand how important it is. | 你应该最清楚这有多重要 |
[18:45] | I moved here with you, didn’t I? | 我和你一起搬来了不是吗 |
[18:47] | Yet not one word of support since we set foot in Berlin. | 自我们在柏林落脚你就没说过一句支持的话 |
[18:51] | How am I to offer it if you’re never here? | 你不在家我要怎么说 |
[18:54] | Can’t you see how miserable I am? | 你看不到我有多痛苦吗 |
[18:56] | You’re miserable everywhere. | 你在哪都很痛苦 |
[19:01] | If you want to know the truth, | 如果你想知道真相 |
[19:03] | I’m looking forward to this trip, | 我很期待这次旅程 |
[19:05] | as I do any reprieve from your dark moods. | 这样就可以从你的消极情绪里得到暂时的解脱 |
[19:26] | Well, what do you think? | 你觉得怎么样 |
[19:28] | I. | 我 |
[19:28] | I think that your killing machine is as magnificent | 我觉得你的杀人机器 |
[19:32] | a monstrosity as they come, Herr Krupp. | 很了不起 克虏伯先生 |
[19:35] | I am going to present “Big Bertha” | 我打算下周向国会 |
[19:37] | to the Reichstag next week. | 展示贝尔莎大炮 |
[19:39] | A fanciful name for such a weapon. | 这样有杀伤力的武器用这个名字倒是很少见 |
[19:41] | I named her after the most combustible person I know. | 以我认识最暴躁的人的名字为她命名 |
[19:46] | My wife. | 我的妻子 |
[19:50] | I must admit, Elsa. | 不得不承认 爱尔莎 |
[19:53] | I was surprised to see you here. | 在这见到你倒是挺意外的 |
[19:55] | A bit of a precarious position, is it not? | 处境有点危险 不是吗 |
[19:58] | Accompanying Professor Einstein on such a public errand? | 陪同爱因斯坦教授参加这样的工作场合 |
[20:01] | I can’t imagine anyone who would find fault | 我无法想象谁会为我支持 |
[20:03] | in my supporting the endeavors of family. | 家人的努力而指手画脚 |
[20:05] | Yes, your cousin. | 没错 他是你的表弟 |
[20:09] | I can assure you that rumors remain at the speculation stage, | 能够确定的是传言现在还在猜测阶段 |
[20:13] | yet I would tread carefully. | 换做我就会小心行事的 |
[20:15] | A scandal once unleashed is difficult to reign in | 丑闻一旦被揭露就很难控制了 |
[20:18] | and always ends up much worse for the woman than the man. | 通常对女人的影响要比男人严重得多 |
[20:24] | Thank you, Bertha. | 谢谢你 贝尔塔 |
[20:25] | But I’m afraid you’ll have to excuse me. | 请容我失陪一下 |
[20:32] | And so clearly the deflection should be precisely | 很明显偏差应该 |
[20:35] | 0.83 seconds of arc. | 很精确的0.83角秒 一度角=3600角秒 |
[20:38] | And to get here, we employed Riemannian geometry, | 为了得到结果 我们引入了黎曼几何 |
[20:41] | since it contains certain invariants | 因为它包含了坐标转换时 |
[20:43] | under coordinate transformations that… | 某些定量 |
[20:44] | And when these measurements are taken | 当取得这些计量 |
[20:46] | and photographs published, Albert will be hailed a genius. | 照片发布后 阿尔伯特将被誉为天才 |
[20:49] | Certainly in line for the Nobel prize. | 自然会成为诺贝尔奖的候选人 |
[20:52] | Elsa is perhaps too kind. | 爱尔莎也许有点夸张了 |
[20:54] | Professor Einstein is perhaps too modest. | 爱因斯坦教授也许太谦虚了 |
[20:56] | His name will be forever pressed into the history books | 他会因改变我们理解世界的方式 |
[20:59] | for changing the way we understand the world. | 而被永远地载入史册 |
[21:02] | The question is, does Herr Gustav Krupp want his name | 问题是 古斯塔夫·克虏伯先生是否愿意 |
[21:05] | printed alongside Albert’s? | 与阿尔伯特一起被载入历史呢 |
[21:10] | As you know, I have many acquaintances in the Academy. | 如你所知 我在学院有很多熟人 |
[21:14] | And there are those who believe your theories to be, | 坦白说 有很多人认为你的理论是 |
[21:19] | there’s no polite way to say it, pure fantasy. | 没有委婉的说法 纯属白日做梦 |
[21:25] | At the risk of sounding boastful, | 冒着自吹自擂的风险 |
[21:29] | there are those who said I wouldn’t prove | 也有人说过我无法证明 |
[21:32] | the existence of molecules. | 分子的存在 |
[21:34] | They denounced my theory of special relativity. | 他们批判我的狭义相对论 |
[21:37] | If I’m right again, this expedition will | 如果这回我又对了 这次考察会 |
[21:39] | revolutionize science in the way that your “Big Bertha” | 像您的贝尔莎大炮颠覆战争那样 |
[21:43] | will revolutionize warfare. | 颠覆科学界 |
[21:46] | What do you say, Herr Krupp? | 您说呢 克虏伯先生 |
[21:50] | I like a man who stands by his dreams, Herr Einstein. | 我欣赏坚持梦想的人 爱因斯坦先生 |
[21:57] | The Academy be damned. | 去他的学院 |
[21:59] | I must wire Freundlich immediately. | 我要立刻联系弗罗因德利希 |
[22:01] | I told you we could do it. | 我就说你能做到的 |
[22:03] | You are my champion, Elsa. | 你真是我的坚实后盾 爱尔莎 |
[22:05] | Thank you for believing in me. | 感谢你相信我 |
[22:11] | Albert, stop. | 阿尔伯特 快停下 |
[22:31] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[22:33] | You’re becoming famous. | 你渐渐有名气了 |
[22:35] | You draw more attention than an ordinary man | 比起普通人亲吻他的情妇 |
[22:37] | kissing his mistress. | 你会引来更多的注意 |
[22:38] | Elsa, you are not my mistress. | 爱尔莎 你不是我的情妇 |
[22:40] | Are you not still married? | 你不是身处一段婚姻中吗 |
[22:41] | I’m here with you. | 我可是和你在一起 |
[22:44] | Look what we just accomplished together. | 看看我们一起完成了什么 |
[22:46] | You know what you mean to me. | 你知道你对我意义重大 |
[22:48] | I do. | 我知道 |
[22:50] | But I’m beginning to see what perhaps I should have all along. | 但是我开始意识到我所缺失的 |
[22:52] | Elsa. | 爱尔莎 |
[22:54] | I allowed myself to be swept up in the whirlwind that you create. | 我任由自己深陷入你创造的旋风中 |
[22:57] | I was blinded by my feelings, but Bertha has opened my eyes. | 我被自己的感情蒙蔽 贝尔塔让我看清现状 |
[23:03] | We can’t care what others say. | 我们不需要在意其他人的想法 |
[23:05] | We must. | 我们不得不 |
[23:06] | I need to think of my daughters. | 我得为我的女儿们考虑 |
[23:08] | What happens to them if I become the object of ridicule? | 如果我成为笑柄她们会怎么样 |
[23:11] | What about your family? | 还有你的家庭呢 |
[23:13] | Mileva’s furious with me regardless of. | 无论怎样米列娃都会对我大发雷霆的 |
[23:16] | We’ve certainly given her reason. | 我们这不就给她理由了吗 |
[23:17] | She doesn’t know. | 她并不知情 |
[23:18] | Even so, she is not the monster you made her out to be. | 即使这样 你才是她变成这样的罪魁祸首 |
[23:22] | Does she deserve the scorn that will surely be heaped | 如果这事传出去 难道她就该承受 |
[23:24] | upon her if word spreads? | 这些流言引发的冷嘲热讽吗 |
[23:26] | Do your boys? | 你的孩子呢 |
[23:27] | Elsa, I moved my family to Berlin for you. | 爱尔莎 我举家搬来柏林是为了你 |
[23:31] | You came to join the Academy. | 你来是为了加入学院 |
[23:32] | Because it brought me near to you. | 那也是因为能离你更近 |
[23:34] | And now, now I can’t imagine a single day without seeing you. | 现在 我无法想象没有你怎么度过漫漫长日 |
[23:40] | I’m sorry, Albert. | 抱歉 阿尔伯特 |
[23:44] | But as long as you’re still married, we cannot be together. | 但是只要你还没离婚 我们就不能在一起 |
[24:00] | I believe even Fritz is secretly jealous of | 我想就连弗里茨也会偷偷嫉妒 |
[24:02] | your husband’s breakthrough. | 你丈夫的重大发现 |
[24:04] | I am, too. | 我也是 |
[24:05] | I miss working with him, being a scientist, myself. | 真怀念作为科学家 和他一起工作的那个我 |
[24:09] | Yes, my years in the laboratory with Fritz were | 没错 我和弗里茨一起在实验室度过的时光 |
[24:12] | among the best of my life. | 是我这一生中最棒的 |
[24:14] | And now we are playing cards while they pursue their passions. | 现在当他们追寻理想时我们却在这里玩纸牌 |
[24:22] | Listen to the two of us. | 听听我们的对话 |
[24:24] | I do wish Elsa could have joined us. | 真希望爱尔莎能加入 |
[24:27] | She brings such levity. | 她总能让气氛变得轻快 |
[24:30] | I called on her yesterday, but apparently, | 我昨天给她打电话了 但显然 |
[24:32] | she’s gone away for a few days. | 她已经出城好几天了 |
[24:35] | Where? | 去哪了 |
[24:36] | To Essen, I’m told. | 听说是埃森 |
[24:37] | Essen? | 埃森 |
[24:38] | That’s where Albert is. | 阿尔伯特也去那里了 |
[24:47] | Mileva. | 米列娃 |
[24:47] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[24:48] | I assumed you had some idea, | 我以为你会有所察觉的 |
[24:51] | or I would have spoken up sooner. | 或许我该早点和你说 |
[24:53] | How could I not have seen it? | 我怎么就没察觉呢 |
[24:59] | Perhaps you didn’t want to. | 也许是你不想想罢了 |
[25:01] | How long? | 多久了 |
[25:06] | If I’m not mistaken, it was Elsa who helped make | 我没弄错的话 正是爱尔莎 |
[25:09] | arrangements for your move. | 促成了你们这次的移居 |
[25:11] | She was so kind to me. | 她对我那么好 |
[25:14] | Elsa is not a bad woman. | 爱尔莎不是个坏女人 |
[25:16] | They rarely are. | 她们很少是坏女人 |
[25:18] | And you must find a way to cope with that. | 你得想办法应对丈夫出轨 |
[25:25] | As we all must. | 我也是 |
[25:30] | Fritz? | 弗里茨也是吗 |
[25:41] | Don’t you want to kill him? | 难道你不想杀了他吗 |
[25:43] | I… | 我… |
[25:48] | You may rage in moral superiority, as I did, | 你可以像我一样站在道德制高点暴怒不已 |
[25:51] | you can sulk in futile silence, | 也可以忍气吞声 |
[25:54] | or you might find it more satisfying | 或者你也可以同样放纵自己 |
[25:58] | to allow yourself the same freedom. | 这样也许更舒服些 |
[26:04] | I couldn’t. | 我做不到 |
[26:05] | Don’t you deserve to feel loved? | 难道你无权享受被爱的感觉吗 |
[26:19] | Frau Einstein. | 爱因斯坦夫人 |
[26:23] | To what do I owe the pleasure? | 有什么能为你效劳的吗 |
[26:25] | I came to inform you that | 我是来和你说一声 |
[26:26] | my husband has beencalled away on extended business. | 我丈夫因公出远门了 |
[26:30] | I’m afraid he won’t be able to meet with you. | 恐怕他无法与你见面了 |
[26:33] | Disappointing news. | 真令人失望啊 |
[26:34] | Albert can be awfully thoughtless sometimes. | 阿尔伯特有时候的确不太为别人着想 |
[26:38] | I felt you were owed an apology in person. | 我觉得该当面向你致歉 |
[26:42] | Well, it seems that neither of us | 看来咱们今晚都是 |
[26:45] | has a dinner companion this evening. | 无人相伴啊 |
[26:49] | Would you care to, to join me? | 你愿意和我共进晚餐吗 |
[26:57] | They say Tesla is as mad as he is brilliant. | 他们说特斯拉聪慧同时又疯狂 |
[27:00] | Perhaps that’s simply a persona he’s created to | 也许这只是他创造的形象 |
[27:02] | distinguish himself from the likes of Edison. | 用来把自己和爱迪生区分开来 |
[27:04] | A fascinating theory. | 这理论真有趣 |
[27:06] | Then again, he is a temperamental Serb, | 而且他是个喜怒无常的塞尔维亚人 |
[27:08] | and there’s nothing entirely sane about the lot of us. | 咱们塞尔维亚人可没几个正常的啊 |
[27:20] | I’ve had a wonderful time with you this evening, Mileva. | 今晚与你过得非常愉快 米列娃 |
[27:30] | I’m afraid I’ve taken leave of my senses, | 我恐怕是疯了吧 |
[27:33] | dining in public with a stranger while my husband is away. | 趁丈夫出门 在大庭广众之下与陌生人进餐 |
[27:39] | Stranger no more, I hope. | 希望你以后别把我当陌生人看待了 |
[27:45] | Good evening. | 晚安 |
[28:07] | When were you going to tell me about Elsa? | 你打算什么时候和我说爱尔莎的事 |
[28:20] | Are you in love with her? | 你爱上她了吗 |
[28:31] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[28:34] | Do you know where I was last night? | 你知道我昨晚去哪了吗 |
[28:39] | I have no idea. | 不知道 |
[28:41] | I went to a hotel. | 我去酒店了 |
[28:43] | To meet a man. | 去与一个男人约会 |
[28:45] | A man who finds me fascinating, | 他认为我很迷人 |
[28:47] | who takes pleasure in my company. | 也很高兴能有我相伴 |
[28:50] | Who was he? | 他是谁 |
[28:50] | The mathematician from Zagreb, | 从萨格勒布来的数学家 |
[28:54] | but I couldn’t. | 但我做不到 |
[29:00] | Perhaps you should have. | 也许你就该和他一起 |
[29:09] | Do I really mean so little to you? | 我在你眼里就那么无关轻重吗 |
[29:11] | Dollie. | 洋娃娃 |
[29:12] | Do not call me that. | 别这么叫我 |
[29:13] | Not unless you can look me in the eye and | 除非你能看着我的眼睛 |
[29:15] | tell me you still love me. | 告诉我你还爱我 |
[29:19] | It’s time we were honest with each other. | 我们是时候要对彼此坦诚了 |
[29:23] | Love has abandoned this marriage in equal parts. | 在这段婚姻里 我们的爱已经消失殆尽 |
[29:29] | What about the, the life we’ve built? | 那我们已经建立起来的生活怎么办 |
[29:34] | There is no sin in drifting apart, only in | 离婚其实不足为过 |
[29:39] | punishing each other for it. | 而为此互相伤害才是 |
[29:46] | I want a divorce. | 我想和你离婚 |
[29:57] | She refused. | 她拒绝了 |
[29:58] | Why are you so intent on a divorce, anyway? | 其实你为什么这么着急离婚啊 |
[30:01] | Why not do what the rest of us do? | 为什么不学学我们 |
[30:03] | Take a mistress. | 养个情妇就好 |
[30:05] | There’s been no talk of divorce under my roof. | 在我家可没人敢提离婚 |
[30:08] | Elsa won’t see me as things stand. | 倘若不离婚 爱尔莎就不会再见我 |
[30:10] | She certainly won’t resume our relations | 我一日不离婚 |
[30:13] | as long as I’m still married. | 她就不会与我恢复关系 |
[30:14] | Elsa means that much to you? | 对你来说爱尔莎就那么重要吗 |
[30:18] | She looks after me. | 她照顾我 |
[30:20] | She believes in me. | 信任我 |
[30:22] | She, she makes me happy. | 她使我快乐 |
[30:26] | Perhaps Mileva can find someone to make her happy, too, | 也许米列娃也能找到一个能让她快乐的人 |
[30:29] | but not as long as she clings to this marriage. | 但如果她执着于这场婚姻那这一切都是空谈 |
[30:32] | I must make her see that somehow and set us both free. | 我必须让她意识到这一点 来解放我们彼此 |
[30:36] | How do you plan to do that? | 你打算怎么做 |
[30:40] | “If you wish to remain married, | “如果你想继续保持婚姻关系 |
[30:41] | you must agree to the following conditions. | 就必须同意以下几点 |
[30:44] | A, you will ensure that my laundry is kept in good order, | 一 你必须要保证整理妥当洗好的衣物 |
[30:48] | that I receive three meals in my room, | 也必须将三餐送至我房间 |
[30:49] | and that my study is | 我的书房必须 |
[30:50] | kept neat, left for my use only. | 保持整洁 仅供我使用 |
[30:53] | B: You will renounce personal relations with me insofar as | 二 你要宣布放弃与我的私人关系 |
[30:57] | they are not necessary for social reasons. | 因其出于社交原因并非必需 |
[31:00] | C: You will not expect any intimacy from me, | 三 你不可与我有任何亲密互动 |
[31:05] | nor will you reproach me in any way.” | 亦不可以任何方式责难我 |
[31:09] | Has he gone mad? | 他疯了吗 |
[31:11] | How could you agree to be party to such a thing? | 你怎么能答应这种事情 |
[31:15] | D: You will stop talking to me when I request it. | 四 如我有要求 你应立即停止与我说话 |
[31:20] | You will leave my bedroom and study immediately and | 如我有要求 你必须立即离开 |
[31:23] | without protest if I request it. | 我的卧室与书房 且毫无异议 |
[31:33] | It’s absurd. | 太荒谬了 |
[31:35] | To honestly believe one’s own wife is so without reason that | 他真的以为自己的妻子会失去理智 |
[31:39] | she must be shocked into accepting a divorce? | 因为震惊而接受离婚吗 |
[31:43] | Not even the decency to issue the demands himself. | 甚至无礼到不亲自来提出要求 |
[31:47] | Such theatrics can only be intended to incense me. | 这种夸张的戏码是为了激怒我吧 |
[31:50] | He’s given you no choice, Mileva. | 他让你毫无选择 米列娃 |
[31:52] | How can you retain any dignity if you hold on? | 如果你维持这段婚姻 哪还有尊严可言 |
[31:57] | Give the man his damn divorce and be done with it. | 跟这男人离婚 结束这一切吧 |
[32:10] | I’ll do what you want. | 我会如你所愿 |
[32:19] | I’m sure in time you’ll realize | 我相信你会渐渐了解 |
[32:23] | it’s for the best. | 这样才是最好的 |
[32:25] | Not the divorce. | 不是离婚 |
[32:28] | I mean your list. | 我是说你的清单 |
[32:29] | I’ll wash your laundry, clean each floorboard, | 我会为你洗衣 清洁地板 |
[32:32] | deliver three hot meals to your study. | 送三餐到你的书房 |
[32:36] | Mileva. | 米列娃 |
[32:36] | I’ll respect the letter of the law in | 我会遵守那封信上的规定 |
[32:39] | Albert Einstein’s household. | 处理阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的家务 |
[32:41] | Those were your terms, were they not? | 这是你的条件 不是吗 |
[32:43] | Yes, if you are intent on forcing us to remain | 是的 只要你想要强迫我俩维持 |
[32:46] | in this intolerable situation. | 这种难以忍受的状态 |
[32:49] | I am. | 没错 |
[32:51] | For the boys. | 为了儿子 |
[32:53] | They need their father. | 他们需要父亲 |
[32:56] | I would be near, no matter what. | 不管怎样 我都会住在附近 |
[32:58] | You aren’t near as it is. | 你不会像现在这么近 |
[33:00] | We both know if you move out, weeks will go by without them | 我们都知道如果你搬出去 他们好几周 |
[33:03] | laying eyes on the man they adore. | 才能见到敬爱的父亲 |
[33:04] | Would that be worse than growing up with two | 这难道比跟两个无法共处一室的人 |
[33:06] | people who can’t bear to be in the same room as each other? | 一起生活还要糟糕吗 |
[33:09] | I am not letting you walk away from the boys. | 我不会让你离开儿子的 |
[33:15] | And yes, I am aware this relationship henceforth | 是的 我知道这段关系从此以后 |
[33:19] | is merely a formality. | 就只是个形式 |
[33:23] | Now, if you’ll excuse me, I must shop for your meals. | 现在请恕我得出门购买为你烹饪的食材了 |
[33:53] | You know what force makes the kite fly? | 你们知道是什么让风筝得以飞翔吗 |
[33:56] | It’s called lift, a curious effect of air | 升力 空气经过风筝表面 |
[34:00] | passing over the kite’s surface. | 产生的有趣作用 |
[34:07] | What do you say we go and get some cake, huh? | 你们想不想吃蛋糕 |
[34:10] | Yes, please. | 想 |
[34:11] | All right. Let’s bring her in. | 好 那我们把风筝收回来 |
[34:13] | You know what, Papa? | 爸爸 你知道吗 |
[34:14] | I don’t think you’re nearly as cruel as Mama says you are. | 我觉得你不像妈妈说的那么残忍 |
[34:26] | I hope you understand this was, | 我希望你理解这只是 |
[34:32] | what it was and nothing more. | 只是一夜情 没有别的意思 |
[34:37] | Perhaps in another time. | 下次再聚吧 |
[34:45] | Of course. | 当然 |
[34:52] | Since it’s clear I’m never meeting with your esteemed husband, | 既然我无法见到你大名鼎鼎的丈夫 |
[34:57] | I hope you’ll show this to him. | 我希望你能给他看这个 |
[35:03] | I’ve devised a proof which demonstrates that | 我找到了一个证据来证明 |
[35:05] | his theory does not satisfy Mach’s principle. | 他的理论不符合马赫原理 |
[35:10] | Are you certain? | 你确定吗 |
[35:11] | I came to warn him that if he proceeds with this expedition, | 我就是来警告他如果继续研究 |
[35:14] | he will be testing a calculation based on a flawed foundation. | 将是建立在错误的理论基础上进行测算 |
[35:18] | His results will not match his predictions. | 他的结果不会符合他的预测 |
[35:22] | He could become a laughingstock. | 他可能会沦为笑柄 |
[35:37] | Albert, there’s something I must show you. | 阿尔伯特 有件事我必须告诉你 |
[35:41] | How long have you been poisoning my sons against me? | 你到底跟儿子说我的坏话说了多久 |
[35:46] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[35:47] | They seem to think that I’m a cruel person. | 他们似乎认为我是个残忍的人 |
[35:50] | I wonder where they got such an idea. | 我很好奇他们为什么会这么想 |
[35:52] | Do you honestly believe I need to conspire to | 你真的觉得我需要费尽心思 |
[35:55] | make the boys see what they witness with their own eyes? | 向儿子灌输他们亲眼见证的东西吗 |
[35:58] | The way you treat me? | 你对待我的方式 |
[35:59] | You twist reality. | 你扭曲事实 |
[36:00] | But this stops now. | 不准再这么做 |
[36:03] | You are never to speak ill of me in front of the children again. | 你再也不准在孩子面前讲我的坏话 |
[36:09] | I will add it to the list. | 我会把这条加入清单 |
[36:12] | You should look this over before Freundlich…. | 你应该先看看这个再让弗罗因德利希… |
[36:13] | My patience is exhausted, Mileva. | 我对你没耐心了 米列娃 |
[36:15] | It’s for your own. | 这是为你自己好 |
[36:16] | Item D. | 第四条 |
[36:17] | You will stop talking to me when I request it, | 如我有要求 你应立即停止与我说话 |
[36:19] | and you will leave my study immediately without protest. | 并立即离开我的书房 毫无异议 |
[36:43] | Be sure to send a telegram the moment you arrive in Crimea. | 你一到达克里米亚就给我发电报 |
[36:46] | Not to worry. | 别担心 |
[36:47] | By the end of the month, | 到月底 |
[36:48] | the world will be cheering Albert Einstein. | 全世界都会歌颂阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 |
[36:51] | No one will ever doubt you again. | 没人会再质疑你了 |
[37:21] | 报纸 德皇宣战 | |
[37:28] | The Kaiser’s declared war. | 德皇宣战了 |
[37:31] | On Serbia? | 向塞尔维亚吗 |
[37:33] | No, sir. | 不是的 先生 |
[37:36] | On Russia. | 向俄国 |
[37:43] | We are officially across enemy lines. | 我们正在穿过敌人的边境 |
[37:45] | Keep your voices down. | 声音小一点 |
[37:49] | If we change trains at the next stop, | 如果我们下一站换火车的话 |
[37:50] | we could be back into Austria by nightfall. | 我们傍晚就可以到达奥地利 |
[37:52] | No, the worst thing we can do is panic. | 不 我们千万不能紧张 |
[37:54] | But Herr Freundlich. | 但是弗罗因德里希先生 |
[37:56] | We only need to keep quiet, make it to Crimea, | 我们只需要保持安静 坚持到克里米亚 |
[37:59] | take our photographs and get the hell out. | 照好照片然后逃出去 |
[38:20] | 俄国 克里米亚 | |
[38:55] | [俄语]护照呢 | |
[38:58] | [俄语]别动 | |
[39:00] | [俄语]快点把护照拿出来 | |
[39:07] | 德意志帝国 | |
[39:08] | [俄语]跟我走 | |
[39:10] | [俄语]你们几个 | |
[39:17] | Has there been a telegram from Freundlich? | 弗罗因德里希来电报了吗 |
[39:19] | No. | 没有 |
[39:19] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗 |
[39:20] | Is it possible that you missed a messenger? | 有没有可能你漏掉了电报 |
[39:22] | I haven’t left the apartment all day. | 我一整天都没有出屋 |
[39:25] | There’s been no telegram. | 就没有电报 |
[39:28] | What’s happened? | 发生了什么 |
[39:34] | [俄语]你们快一点搬 | |
[39:35] | [俄语]天要黑了 | |
[39:39] | We are astronomers. | 我们是天文学家 |
[39:40] | You must believe me. | 你必须相信我们 |
[39:42] | We, tell him, tell him. | 快告诉他 |
[39:43] | [俄语]我们是天文学家 | |
[39:45] | [俄语]请相信我们 | |
[39:46] | [俄语]我们是去照照片的 | |
[39:48] | [俄语]请相信我们 | |
[39:51] | Stars, the stars up. | 星星 天上的星星 |
[39:52] | No, no, no, please, don’t touch this. | 不不不 求你不要碰这些 |
[39:53] | This does not. | 这些不是 |
[40:06] | Thank you for coming. | 感谢你们的到来 |
[40:07] | Your message sounded urgent. | 你的电报似乎很急切 |
[40:10] | Gentlemen, I fear that Herr Freundlich and | 大家 恐怕弗罗因德里希先生 |
[40:13] | his men have run into trouble in Russia. | 和他的人在俄国出了一些问题 |
[40:15] | I haven’t received word from them since the war broke out. | 战争爆发之后我就没收到过他们的消息了 |
[40:18] | If you haven’t heard from them, you can’t be sure | 如果他们没有消息 不一定意味着 |
[40:20] | there’s a problem. | 出了问题 |
[40:21] | His instructions were to wire me the moment | 他跟我说过到了克里米亚 |
[40:23] | he arrived in Crimea. | 就会给我发电报的 |
[40:25] | How do you expect us to find | 你怎么指望我们能够 |
[40:26] | three astronomers in the middle of a war? | 在战争中找到三位天文学家 |
[40:28] | Max, this is the kaiser’s academy, for God’s sake. | 天啊马克思 这可是国家的栋梁 |
[40:31] | Men of your stature must have a connection at the Reichstag. | 你这样地位的人应该会和国会大厦有所来往吧 |
[40:33] | If we go to the Reichstag, they are likely to | 如果我们去了国会大厦 他们很可能会 |
[40:35] | question the wisdom of your insistence on embarking on | 质问你为什么在这样动荡的时代 |
[40:38] | this expedition at such a volatile time. | 还要坚持去冒险探索 |
[40:40] | Who cares what people think of me | 性命攸关的时候谁还在乎 |
[40:42] | when lives are at stake? | 别人怎么看我 |
[40:43] | Just help me find Erwin. | 帮我找到欧文 |
[40:57] | This is a camera, no? | 这是一部相机 对吗 |
[40:59] | Yes, but. | 是的 但是 |
[41:01] | To take pictures of troop movements, encampments. | 为了照我们军队的动向和营地的状况 |
[41:04] | No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, | 不不不 |
[41:05] | nothing like that. | 不是的 |
[41:06] | You enter Russia from Germany with trunks full of | 你带着满满几箱子照相设备从德国进入俄国 |
[41:10] | photographic devices, and you want us to believe | 然后你还想让我们相信 |
[41:12] | that you are not a spy? | 你不是一个间谍吗 |
[41:15] | I, I’m a scientist. | 我是一名科学家 |
[41:17] | I’m here to photograph an eclipse in a matter of days. | 我来此是为了在数日之内拍摄日食的 |
[41:21] | Please, if you would release me and my assistants, | 求你了 如果你现在放了我和我的助手 |
[41:24] | it’s not too late. | 那还来得及 |
[41:25] | Who ordered you to come here? | 谁命令你来这里的 |
[41:28] | I-I’m here on behalf of | 我来是代表 |
[41:30] | the great physicist, Albert Einstein. | 最伟大的物理学家阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的 |
[41:34] | You work for Albert Einstein? | 你为阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦工作吗 |
[41:36] | Yes, you know of him? | 是的 你知道他吗 |
[41:44] | Well? The kaiser has heard through diplomatic channels. | 皇帝已经通过外交渠道了解了消息 |
[41:46] | Freundlich is alive, as are his men. | 弗罗因德里希和他的人还活着 |
[41:49] | Wonderful news. | 好消息 |
[41:50] | In part. | 还没完 |
[41:52] | They’re being interned in a prisoner-of-war camp. | 他们被关在战时集中营之中 |
[41:55] | On what grounds? | 因为什么 |
[41:56] | Espionage. | 间谍活动 |
[41:57] | That’s absurd. | 真是荒谬 |
[41:59] | Albert, you sent him into a war zone a trunk | 阿尔伯特 你让他们带着一箱子监视设备 |
[42:01] | full of surveillance equipment. | 进入战区 |
[42:04] | Well, let’s clear up the misunderstanding and | 让我们清除这个误会 |
[42:06] | get them out of there. | 把他们救出去 |
[42:08] | It’s not that simple. | 没那么简单 |
[42:09] | There may be a way to resolve this. | 有一个办法可以解决这个问题 |
[42:12] | But it requires the cooperation of both | 但是这需要我们皇帝和他们沙皇的 |
[42:14] | the kaiser and the czar. | 共同努力 |
[42:16] | Whatever must be done. | 无论如何必须要救出来 |
[42:17] | Albert, there is no guarantee that | 阿尔伯特 没有谁能保证 |
[42:19] | he’s coming home. | 他能回来 |
[43:00] | Where are you taking me? | 你们要带我去哪里 |
[43:18] | [俄语]下车 | |
[43:20] | [俄语]快一点 | |
[43:24] | No, please, please, I have a wife. | 别这样 别这样 我有妻子 |
[43:25] | Go, go. Move. | 走 快走 |
[43:30] | [俄语]都跟上 | |
[43:31] | [俄语]跟上 | |
[43:36] | [俄语]你们被释放了 | |
[43:46] | Move. | 快走 |
[43:50] | Go, let’s go, go, go. | 走 快走 快走 |
[44:15] | Mileva, Erwin’s been freed in exchange | 米列娃 欧文被释放了 |
[44:17] | for Russian prisoners. | 用俄罗斯犯人做交换 |
[44:19] | Thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[44:20] | I know. | 我知道 |
[44:20] | Isn’t it wonderful? | 实在是天大的好事 |
[44:26] | And the photographs? | 那些照片呢 |
[44:32] | Perhaps it’s a blessing. | 也许这是好事 |
[44:36] | Why would you say that? | 为什么这么说 |
[44:38] | Your foundation for general relativity is flawed. | 你的广义相对论基本原则有误 |
[44:44] | What? Whatever would lead you to such a conclusion? | 什么 你怎么会这么想呢 |
[44:56] | Herr Varicak. | 瓦利切克先生 |
[44:58] | Naturally, I didn’t believe his ideas had merit, | 当然 我本来不相信他的理论有道理 |
[45:01] | but then he showed me his proof, | 但他给我看了他的论证 |
[45:02] | and Albert, your theory does not, | 阿尔伯特 你的理论 |
[45:04] | in fact, satisfy Mach’s principle. | 其实并没有满足马赫原理 |
[45:08] | You saw this proof, and yet you said nothing? | 你看到这些论证 却什么也不说吗 |
[45:12] | I tried. | 我试过跟你说 |
[45:14] | You, you tried? | 你 你试过 |
[45:19] | Y-you’re telling me that I could have been ruined, | 你是说我有可能被毁于一旦 |
[45:22] | and you stayed silent? | 你却只字不提吗 |
[45:23] | I was obeying your orders. | 我是在服从你的命令 |
[45:29] | So out of spite | 所以为了泄恨 |
[45:31] | you-you let me send those young men into danger? | 你让我派那些年轻人冲进危险地带吗 |
[45:34] | How were either of us to know | 我们俩都不知道 |
[45:36] | the Kaiser would declare war on Russia? | 德皇会对俄国发动战争 |
[45:37] | You wanted me to fail. | 你希望我失败 |
[45:39] | Yes! | 没错 |
[45:42] | Yes, somewhere deep within me I wanted to see the look | 没错 我希望看到在你经历 |
[45:46] | on your face when you experienced real pain. | 真正痛苦时你脸上的表情 |
[45:50] | Disappointment. | 失望至极的表情 |
[45:52] | The harsh judgement of the world. | 世上最残酷的审判 |
[45:54] | I wanted to see those dreams crumble for you | 我想看到你的梦想被摧毁 |
[45:58] | as they have for me. | 正如我的一样 |
[46:06] | You hate me that much? | 你就这么恨我吗 |
[46:11] | I don’t hate you. | 我不恨你 |
[46:15] | I hate the person I’ve become because of you. | 我恨的是因为你 我变成了这样的人 |
[46:21] | You’re right, Albert. | 你说得对 阿尔伯特 |
[46:26] | We can’t stay together any longer. | 我们不能再在一起 |
[46:46] | Albert. | 阿尔伯特 |
[46:47] | I thought we decided. | 我们不是决定好了吗 |
[46:47] | Mileva’s agreed to end things. | 米列娃同意结束一切 |
[46:49] | She accepted the divorce? | 她接受离婚吗 |
[46:51] | Not entirely. | 不完全接受 |
[46:52] | A separation. | 只是分居 |
[46:53] | Oh, Albert, that’s not. | 阿尔伯特 那样不行 |
[46:54] | It’s a start. | 这是个开始 |
[46:55] | I’ll be getting a flat of my own. | 我会给自己找间公寓 |
[46:58] | We’ll have all the time in the world. | 我们有的是时间 |
[47:00] | You know there is quite a difference between | 你知道分居和离婚 |
[47:02] | separation and divorce. | 是有区别的吧 |
[47:04] | Can we please simply enjoy this moment? | 我们能不能好好享受这一刻 |
[47:07] | I know it’s been difficult, | 我知道一直以来很不容易 |
[47:08] | but I beg your patience just a little while longer. | 但请你再等我一段时间 |
[47:12] | It’s only a matter of time before we’re able to be together. | 我们迟早能在一起的 |
[47:28] | Mileva? | 米列娃 |
[47:33] | Boys, boys? | 孩子们 |
[47:59] | Let’s get our seats. | 我们去找座位吧 |
[48:01] | Mileva, Mileva, Mileva, don’t do this. | 米列娃 米列娃 米列娃 别走 |
[48:04] | It’s already done, Albert. | 我们已经结束了 阿尔伯特 |
[48:06] | You don’t have to go all the way to Switzerland. | 你不必大老远跑去瑞士 |
[48:08] | It will be easier for everyone. | 这样大家都会好过些 |
[48:10] | You can’t. | 你不能这样 |
[48:12] | You pushed so hard. | 你那么想把我推开 |
[48:15] | Now you have what you wanted. | 现在你如愿以偿了 |
[48:16] | I wanted to end our marriage. | 我想要结束我们的婚姻 |
[48:18] | I didn’t want to lose my whole family. | 可我不想失去整个家 |
[48:20] | The move to Berlin was for you. | 搬来柏林是为了你 |
[48:23] | I never wanted it. | 我根本不想来 |
[48:25] | But what about the boys? | 那儿子们呢 |
[48:28] | You can’t have everything, Albert. | 鱼和熊掌不可兼得 阿尔伯特 |
[48:36] | You have your kite with you? | 你带了风筝吗 |
[48:38] | Yes, papa. | 带了 爸爸 |
[48:40] | Good, I’ll come and fly it with you very soon. | 那就好 我很快就会过去和你一起放风筝 |
[48:45] | I’ll write every day. | 我每天都会写信 |
[48:47] | Will you remember where we left off on circumference? | 你会记得圆周说到哪了吗 |
[48:50] | I will. | 我会记得 |
[48:54] | I’m sorry, Dollie. | 对不起 洋娃娃 |
[48:58] | I wanted so much for us. | 我对我们的寄予太多了 |
[49:01] | Good-bye, Albert. | 再见 阿尔伯特 |