时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | – How’s the meal? – Tasty. | -今天的菜怎么样? -好吃 |
[00:04] | Very tasty. New cook? | 很好吃 新厨师? |
[00:05] | Yes, Marisella. She’s introduced us to some wonderful dishes… | 没错 她叫Marisella 给我们弄了好些… |
[00:08] | so charmingly specific to her native country. | 她本国的风味特色菜 |
[00:10] | – What country is she from? – A little one, next to Mexico. | -她是哪国人 -墨西哥附近一个小国 |
[00:13] | – How charmingly specific. – Too bad Grandpa’s not here. | -讲解得多详尽啊 -外公不在这太可惜了 |
[00:16] | – He likes weird food. – Where’s he eating his weird food tonight? | -他喜欢吃些稀奇古怪的东西 -今晚他又跑哪吃去了? |
[00:19] | – Argentina? Morocco? – Akron. | -阿根廷? 摩洛哥? -阿克伦城 |
[00:21] | – Ohio? – Yes. | -俄亥俄州那个? -没错 |
[00:22] | – Get out of here. – I will not ‘get out of here. ‘ | – 胡说 – 我不会出去的 [注:get out of here既有“胡说”也有“离开这里”的意思] |
[00:25] | No, I didn’t mean really get out of here. | 哦 我不是说要你出去的那个意思 |
[00:27] | – Why is Grandpa in Akron? – I don’t know. | -外公为什么去阿克伦城? -我不知道 |
[00:29] | It was just a saying. | 这只是个表达方式 |
[00:30] | They sent him to deal with a problem with their local office. | 他被派去协助当地办事处处理个问题 |
[00:33] | A saying, like ‘save me,’ or ‘get me out of here. ‘ | 就像说”救我”或者”把我从这里弄出去”一样 |
[00:36] | Would you like a mirror in front of you… | 你需不需要一面镜子 |
[00:37] | so you can see yourself during this conversation. | 好让你说话的时候也能看见自己的脸 |
[00:40] | – Sorry. Dad’s in Akron. – Yes. | -对不起 说到爸爸在阿克伦城了 -没错 |
[00:42] | The amenities are atrociously lacking. He had to eat at a coffee shop last night. | 那里的生活条件太差了 昨晚他还不得不在咖啡馆里吃饭 |
[00:45] | The whole thing’s insulting. He’s miserable. | 太委屈他了 他现在很凄惨 |
[00:48] | – I hate that he’s miserable. – So do I. | -我不想他那么凄惨 -我也一样 |
[00:50] | – We ought to do something. – Yes, I agree. | -我们该为他干些什么 -同意 |
[00:52] | Warning, warning. | 警报 警报 |
[00:53] | I’m glad you said that. I thought of a wonderful way to cheer him up. | 你同意就太好了 我想到个让他高兴的好办法 |
[00:57] | – Cool. What? – Danger, Will Robinson, danger! | -太棒了 什么办法 -危险警报 危险警报 [注:Danger,Will Robinson是美国电视剧Lost in space里的台词,开玩笑地指出有陷阱] |
[00:59] | An oil portrait of you for his study. | 为他的书房画张你的油画肖像 |
[01:01] | – An oil portrait? – I tried. Have fun. | -油画肖像? -我警告过你了 祝好运 |
[01:04] | It could hang right over his mantel. He’d just love it. | 把它挂在壁炉台上方 他一定很喜欢 |
[01:06] | I guess that would be okay. | 听起来还可以 |
[01:08] | – Mom, please don’t make her do this. – She just said she would. | -妈妈 求你别叫她干这事 -她已经答应我了 |
[01:11] | Fine, but don’t make her sit and pose for it. Paint it from a photo. | 行 那别让她坐着让人画 照着照片画就行 |
[01:14] | – A photo? That’s what they do at malls. – I’ll sit. It’s fine. | -相片? 商场里的小摊才这么干 -没关系 我坐着不动就是了 |
[01:17] | Just because your experience was bad doesn’t mean Rory’s has to be. | 你自己的经历不愉快不代表Rory也会这样 |
[01:21] | – What portrait? I haven’t seen this. – They never finished. | -你也画过肖像吗 我怎么没见过 -那些画从没画完过 |
[01:24] | Three painters started, and they all three quit. | 三个画家试过给她画 三个都中途罢工了 |
[01:26] | – Why did they quit? – She wouldn’t stop scowling. | -为什么? -她一直阴沉着脸 |
[01:28] | I was going for a Billy Idol thing. | 我是想制造Billy Idol的效果 [注:Billy Idol,70年代庞克叛逆小子的代表人物,总是�熳挪恍嫉谋砬�] |
[01:30] | The one from Italy had some sort of breakdown. | 其中一个意大利画家差点神经崩溃了 |
[01:32] | It didn’t hurt Van Gogh. The guy should thank me. | 凡高神经崩溃后多有才华 那家伙该谢我 |
[01:34] | A year later, I swear I saw him rummaging through our recyclables. | 一年后 我看见他在翻我们家的可回收垃圾箱 |
[01:38] | Well, I’m happy to sit. If it’s for Grandpa, why not? | 我乐意坐着给人画 如果为了外公高兴 这没什么大不了的 |
[01:40] | Wonderful. I’ll set it up first thing in the morning. | 太好了 我明天就着手安排这事 |
[01:43] | If you want, I can teach you the Billy Idol. | 如果你想学 我可以教你模仿Billy Idol |
[01:46] | Most people focus on the lip thing, but the eyes are just as important… | 大多人学他都是注重嘴唇上的功夫 其实眼神也很重要 |
[02:48] | So, first thing you and Sookie would do is incorporate. | 那么 你和Sookie要做的第一件事情是建立一个公司 |
[02:50] | Wow. Sounds so bigtime. | 哇 听起来好伟大 |
[02:52] | Not really. It just means you’re a single business entity. | 还好 你们就是个独立的营业单位了 |
[02:55] | You’ll both be officers and shareholders… | 你既是股东也是主管 |
[02:57] | and you’ll get to make up a name for your company. | 还要给公司起个名字 |
[02:59] | I’m terrible at coming up with names. | 我最不擅长起名字了 |
[03:01] | When we first bought our house, Rory and I wanted to name it. | Rory和我刚买到房子时想给它起个名 |
[03:04] | Like Jefferson named his place Monticello… | 像Jefferson就叫他的房子Moticello |
[03:06] | but we could only come up with ‘The Crap Shack. ‘ | 但我们能想到的名字只有”狗窝” |
[03:08] | – Nice. – Coffee? | -不错啊 -要咖啡吗 |
[03:10] | Yeah, thanks. | 好的 谢谢 |
[03:12] | – How are you, Jess? – I’m not bleeding or anything. | -你还好吗 Jess -我又没流血什么的 |
[03:15] | Then it’s gonna be a good day. | 那么今天是个好日子咯 |
[03:17] | – 7:45. – So? | -7:45了 -那又怎样? |
[03:18] | You want me to go to school, or you want to openly defy child-labor laws? | 你是想我去上学 还是要公然藐视童工法 |
[03:21] | Go. | 去吧 |
[03:23] | Stay out of trouble. | 别惹麻烦 |
[03:25] | I guess I’ll call off the chickie run at the salt flats. | 看来我得取消盐沼飙车的计划了 |
[03:27] | – Out! – Wow. So much love. | -快滚 -哇 爱意真浓啊 |
[03:30] | Do you guys have a site in mind for the inn? | 你们挑好旅馆的地址了吗 |
[03:32] | – Yes. – Great. Where? | -挑好了 -太好了 在哪 |
[03:34] | You’ve seen pictures of it. The Rachel property. | 你见过它的照片了 Rachel地产 |
[03:36] | Right. | 哦 对 |
[03:37] | – Sorry. – It’s okay. | -对不起 -没关系 |
[03:38] | Rachel took the pictures, and the pictures kind of got us into the place. | Rachel给它照了相 我们才注意到这块地 |
[03:42] | So we started calling it the Rachel property… | 所以我们就叫它Rachel地产 |
[03:44] | because it made sense, and then it became a habit. | 因为听起来像回事 然后就叫习惯了 |
[03:47] | Now, out of respect for you, I’m gonna stop using her name… | 现在 出于对你的尊重 我不会再这样叫它了 |
[03:50] | and think of another name to call it. Let’s see. ‘The Crap Shack’ is taken. | 我会另想个名字的 看看 “狗窝”已经有房先用了 |
[03:53] | It’s okay. Call it what you want. | 没关系的 你想怎么叫都行 |
[03:55] | Who taught you about all this business stuff? Your dad? | 谁教你这些商业知识的 你老爸? |
[03:58] | My dad didn’t have a checking account till I got taller than he was. | 到我长到比我爸高时 他才有了第一个支票户头 |
[04:01] | He bought this land with cash, built this place himself. | 他用现金买的这地 房子还是自己亲手建的 |
[04:04] | Didn’t have a bookkeeper, accountant, or anything. | 他没有记帐员 没会计 什么都没有 |
[04:07] | So you had no one showing you the ropes. | 这么说没有人给你指路咯 |
[04:08] | I figured I had to dive in on my own, fail if that’s my destiny… | 我想我得自己去摸索 如果注定要失败那也没办法 |
[04:12] | – and forget what the experts say. – That is exactly my philosophy. Exactly. | -不去理会那些专家说什么 -这也是我的人生哲学 丝毫不差 |
[04:16] | Except I’m not on my own, I’m diving in with Sookie. | 除了…我是要和Sookie两人一起摸索 |
[04:18] | And failure is not even a choice of destinies. | 还有失败两字不在我的字典里 |
[04:21] | And I’m consulting any expert who will listen to me. | 而且我咨询了所有愿意听我说话的专家的意见 |
[04:23] | Otherwise, it’s identical. | 除了这些 其它丝毫不差 |
[04:25] | I should be getting going. You gonna write this meal off? | 我得走了 你要报销这顿饭吗 |
[04:28] | – Why? – We talked business. | -为什么? -这是谈生意的饭局啊 |
[04:30] | You gotta be thinking about these things. | 你得开始培养商业头脑了 |
[04:32] | No, I mean, ‘Why? I’m not paying for it. ‘ | 不 我的意思是 “为什么?又不是我付钱” |
[04:35] | – Exactly. – You’re gonna do fine. | -没错 -你会成功的 |
[04:39] | It shouldn’t be too flashy. | 不能太花里胡哨 |
[04:40] | How about something historical, like ‘The Paul Revere’? | 有历史意义的怎么样 像”Paul Revere” [注:Paul Revere是个革命英雄] |
[04:43] | – That could work. – What could work? | -这名字行得通 -什么行得通? |
[04:45] | We’re thinking up names for the inn. | 我们在给旅馆起名字呢 |
[04:46] | If you want simple, something like ‘The Country Rose. ‘ | 如果想要简单点的 “乡村玫瑰”怎么样 |
[04:49] | That’s pretty good. | 挺不错啊 |
[04:50] | We could line the front path with multicolored roses. | 我们可以在门前小道上种各种颜色的玫瑰 |
[04:53] | Or ‘The Inn by the Hollow. ‘ | “山谷边的旅馆”也不错 |
[04:54] | – Kind of long. – But nice. | -就是长了点 -但挺好听 |
[04:56] | How about ‘The Money Pit’? Or ‘The Outhouse’? Go international. | “钱坑”怎么样 或者”户外厕所” 挺跟国际接轨 |
[04:59] | Go back in your hole. | 回你的洞去吧 |
[05:00] | Or ‘The Inn Heading for Bankruptcy’? Kind of long, but nice. | 或者”走向倒闭的旅馆” 有点长 但挺好听 |
[05:03] | You who have no dreams, rain on those who do. | 无梦想的人总想浇熄别人的梦想 |
[05:05] | I say this because I care about you. It’s risky, what you are doing. | 我是为了你们好 你们这样做太冒险了 |
[05:08] | Most new businesses go down within two years. | 大部分新生意都在两年内倒闭 |
[05:10] | I say if we go down after two years… | 我说 如果我们两年后倒闭了 |
[05:12] | it’ll be the most exciting two years of our lives. | 这也将是人生中最精彩的两年 |
[05:14] | – Same here. Boredom stinks! – Fine. Proceed blindly. | -同意 碌碌无为最难熬了! -好吧 盲目前行去吧 |
[05:17] | This came in 10 minutes ago. | 这是十分钟前送到的 |
[05:18] | It does not involve The Independence Inn. | 它与独立旅馆无关 |
[05:20] | Therefore, delivering it was beyond my official obligations… | 所以 递送它不在我的工作职责范围内… |
[05:23] | so I am taking an extra-long lunch break. | 所以 我今天的中饭休息时间要延长 |
[05:26] | He’s so genuine. | 他还真是实在啊 |
[05:28] | – Oh, my God. – What? | -噢 天啊 -怎么了? |
[05:29] | It’s the title search for the Rachel property. Guess who owns it? | 这是Rachel地产的调查结果 猜猜谁是它的主人 |
[05:33] | Tell me it’s not that bastard Donald Trump. | 别告诉我是那混蛋Donald Trump [注:Donald Trump,美国纽约知名房地产商 著名真人秀<飞黄腾达>(学徒)也是他策划的] |
[05:35] | – Fran. – Fran from Westin Bakery? | -是Fran -Westin面包店那个Fran吗? |
[05:37] | Sweet little Fran, the cupcake lady. | 亲切可爱的Fran 做蛋糕的女士 |
[05:38] | Not some cigar-chomping, dirty-dealing city slicker. | 而不是抽着雪茄做肮脏交易的城市骗子 |
[05:41] | That’s good. Hey, ‘The Country Slicker. ‘ Funny name, cutesy idea. | 太好了 嘿 “乡村骗子” 多可爱的名字 |
[05:44] | – It’s a little much. – It’s way too much. | -有点过了头 -没错 太过头了 |
[05:46] | – I’ll call Fran. – ‘Fran’s Old Place. ‘ | -我去打电话给Fran -“Fran的老地方” |
[05:48] | It’ll be like Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse. | 就像Ruth的Chris牛排餐馆一样 |
[05:49] | People will be trying to figure out who Fran is. | 大家都会猜想Fran是谁 |
[05:51] | Or ‘The In Inn’ It’s an inn that’s in with the in-crowd. | 或者”潮流旅馆” 潮流先锋专用的旅馆 |
[05:57] | – I’m gonna go sit down. – Do that, sweetie. | -我去那边歇着 -去吧 宝贝 |
[06:15] | Honey, I am so sorry. Am I late-late, or just late? | 宝贝 对不起 我是迟过了头 还是只迟了一点? |
[06:18] | Two pieces of carrot cake and a rum ball. | 我已吃了两个萝卜蛋糕和一个莱姆球 |
[06:20] | I’m so sorry. I swear, I meant to be on time. | 对不起 我也不想迟到的 |
[06:23] | I was prepping the raspberry glaze for tonight’s dessert, and it struck me: | 我刚才在给今晚的甜品做覆盆子糖浆时 忽然想到: |
[06:26] | I made a blueberry glaze for the souffl? I made last Tuesday, and this is Tuesday. | 我上星期二给甜品做了蓝霉糖浆 今天又是星期二 |
[06:31] | And a lot of locals come every week on the same night every week. | 很多当地人都是每星期同一天来旅馆里的 |
[06:34] | And I just didn’t want to serve them a similar dessert… | 我不想给他们一道相似的甜品 |
[06:37] | even though it’s a completely different berry. | 虽然用的是不同的果子 |
[06:39] | – I need another rum ball. – I’m sorry. | -我要再来一个莱姆球 -对不起 |
[06:41] | No, you’re a perfectionist. | 没事 你是个完美主义者 |
[06:43] | And that attention to detail is why people call you ‘the maestro. ‘ | 正因为你注重细节才被人们称为”大师” |
[06:46] | – Really? Who calls me that? – The people who eat the rum balls. | -真的吗? 谁这样叫我? -吃莱姆球的人 |
[06:49] | So, ladies, how are we doing here? | 女士们 两位可好 |
[06:51] | – We’re doing great, Fran. – That’s wonderful. | -我们都很好 Fran -太棒了 |
[06:54] | Could Sookie and I talk to you for a couple minutes? | 我们想和你谈几句 有空么? |
[06:56] | Of course. Marjorie can handle things. | 有空啊 Marjorie会照管生意的 |
[07:00] | – Fran, are you okay? – It’s this bum hip. | -Fran 你还好吗? -我的髋关节又有毛病了 |
[07:03] | It needs to be replaced. Again. | 我又要换一次了 |
[07:06] | And I have this awful angina. | 而且我嗓子疼 |
[07:09] | We’re so sorry to hear that. | 这太糟糕了 |
[07:11] | So, I know you didn’t come here to listen to me gripe… | 言归正传 我知道你们来这里不是听我发牢骚的 |
[07:14] | so tell me what’s on your mind. | 所以 告诉我你们来这有什么事 |
[07:16] | Fran, we understand that you own… | Fran 我们了解到你拥有… |
[07:18] | the old Dragonfly bed-and-breakfast, that whole property out there. | 一个叫做蜻蜓的小旅馆的产权 |
[07:21] | Yes, I do. It was my parents’ business. | 是的 那曾是我父母的生意 |
[07:24] | It’s a beautiful place. | 那地方很漂亮 |
[07:26] | It used to be. But it’s in such disarray now. | 是啊 曾经是这样 但是现在那里乱糟糟的 |
[07:29] | Yes, it is. That’s kind of why we’re here. | 嗯 是的 这也是我们到这的原因 |
[07:32] | – We’d actually like to buy it. – Buy the Dragonfly? | -实际上我们是想买下它 -你们要买蜻蜓旅社? |
[07:35] | We’d like to buy it and make it beautiful again… | 我们想买下她并让他再次美丽起来来 |
[07:37] | and we’re prepared to make you an offer right now. | 而且我们准备现在就给你报价 |
[07:39] | My, this is a surprise. | 天 这太意外了 |
[07:41] | Sookie and I are going to start our own inn… | Sookie和我打算开间自己的旅馆 |
[07:44] | and we’ve been searching for the perfect place. | 而且我们一直在寻找个完美的地方 |
[07:46] | – Your own inn? – Yeah. | -你们自己的旅馆? -是的 |
[07:48] | How wonderful! | 多好的主意 |
[07:51] | You are going to be so successful. | 你们会很成功的 |
[07:53] | Thanks, sweetie. | 谢谢了 亲爱的 |
[07:55] | That means so much, like we have your blessing. | 那对我们太重要了 就像你给我们的祝福 |
[07:57] | But I can’t sell you the property. | 但我不能把那地方卖给你们 |
[07:59] | – What? – How come? | -什么? -为什么? |
[08:01] | I just couldn’t. | 我就是不能 |
[08:02] | You know, I have no siblings and no children… | 我没有兄弟姐妹 没有孩子 |
[08:06] | and, in a way, that place is really the only family I have. | 而且某种程度上那个地方是我唯一的亲人了 |
[08:11] | I’m the last Westin left, so I plan to own it forever. | 我是Westin 家族最后的后裔 所以我打算永远留着那个地方 |
[08:15] | – Forever? – Forever and ever. | -永远? -永永远远 |
[08:17] | – That’s a very long time. – A very long time. | -那可是很长的一段时间啊 -是啊 |
[08:20] | I’m so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[08:22] | Fran, may I ask… | Fran 我可不可以问一下… |
[08:26] | Go ahead, honey, ask me anything you want. | 亲爱的 想问什么都可以 |
[08:28] | What happens to the place if you… If forever isn’t quite forever? | 如果你…那么那个地方怎么办? 如果永远并没有那么远 |
[08:33] | I don’t understand, dear. All I know is that I can’t sell the place. | 亲爱的 我不明白 但我绝对不会卖掉那个地方 |
[08:37] | No, I don’t mean selling it. | 不 我并不是说要卖掉它 |
[08:39] | I mean you would keep it forever, but what happens… | 我的意思是你可以永远的保留那个地方 但如果你… |
[08:43] | once you’re no longer in the position of physically controlling the property? | 由于生理方面的某些原因 你不再能拥有这个地方了 怎么办? |
[08:47] | How could that be? | 那怎么会发生? |
[08:48] | – Well, if you… – Take a long vacation. | -嗯 如果你 -去长期旅行 |
[08:52] | – Yes, take a long vacation. Thank you. – You’re welcome. | -对 去长期旅行 谢谢你 -不谢 |
[08:54] | And when you’re on that vacation, the property is just left sitting there. | 当你长期旅行的时候 你的地产就闲置在那里 |
[08:58] | – What happens then? – I don’t enjoy vacations. | -那怎么办? -我不喜欢旅行 |
[09:02] | I toured the California Gold Country 10 years ago. | 我十年前去过California的Gold Country [注:Gold Country又称Mother Lode Country,因1849年的淘金热而闻名] |
[09:06] | It was hot, and the bus smelled. | 很热 而且公车上的气味很糟糕 |
[09:08] | Okay. I mean a longer vacation than a trip to California. | 嗯 我指得是比那个旅行更长的旅行 |
[09:13] | – To a different place. – What kind of place? | -去一个不同的地方 -什么样的地方 |
[09:16] | – A place out there. – Way out there, Fran. | -一个很远的地方 -一个很远的地方 Fran |
[09:18] | Europe? | 欧洲? |
[09:19] | – I mean, the ultimate long vacation. – Yeah, Fran, see, eventually… | -我是说终极的长期旅行 -是的 Fran 是这样的 无论如何 |
[09:24] | we’re all gonna take the same long vacation. | 我们都会进行这样的长期旅行 |
[09:27] | And with that being the case… | 在那种情形下 |
[09:29] | you might want to sell the property now and enjoy the money. | 你也许会想现在就卖掉那地方 并好好享受这笔钱 |
[09:32] | I’m very sorry, but I can never sell the place. | 我很抱歉 但我不能卖 |
[09:39] | – Thanks for your time, Fran. – Yeah, thanks, Fran. | -那么谢谢你了抽空陪我们了Fran -是的 谢谢 |
[09:41] | – Bye, now. – Bye. | -再见 -再见 |
[09:48] | You both look so sad. Would you like a cupcake? | 你们看上去好失望啊 来块蛋糕吧 |
[09:53] | – Please. – Yeah. | -好的 -好吧 |
[09:55] | So, Janie Fertman’s trying to be my friend again. | Janie Fertman 又想做我的朋友了 |
[09:57] | Yikes. What kind of vibe were you giving her? | 啊 你又给她哪个吉他手的专辑了? |
[09:59] | My patented Keith Richards, circa 1969, don’t-mess-with-me vibe… | 我独家的Keith Richards大约1969出品的 <别烦我> 专辑 [注:Keith Richards是滚石乐队的主音吉他手] |
[10:03] | – with a 1000-yard Asian stare thrown in. – That should do it. | -有很多亚洲人都特喜欢 -那应该可以搞定了 |
[10:07] | What’s happening up there? | 那怎么了 |
[10:10] | Just try to calm down, Taylor. | Taylor 冷静一点 |
[10:12] | – Calm down? Why should I calm down? – Yeah, why should he calm down? | -Calm down? Why should l calm down? -冷静? 我怎么能冷静 -是啊 他怎么能冷静 |
[10:15] | – I want action, not words! – Yeah, action, not words. | -我要的是行动 不是纸上谈兵 -对 要行动不要废话 |
[10:18] | Don’t you need to get back to your newsstand? | 你不需要回你的报摊去看看吗 |
[10:20] | No, I’m all yours. | 不 我就在这 |
[10:21] | We’ll get to the bottom of this, I promise. | 我们会追查到底的 放心 |
[10:23] | A crime was committed right in front of my store! | 一起犯罪案件居然在我的店门口发生 |
[10:26] | – We can’t say that for sure yet. – How come you can’t say that for sure? | -我们现在还不能确定 -你们怎么不能确定? |
[10:30] | This is a police tape. You’re the police. You own the tape. | 这是警方的封条 你是警察 这是你们自己的封条 |
[10:32] | We’ve contacted everyone in the precinct. No one knows anything about this. | 我们已经联络了这个地区的所有人 没有人知道这件事 |
[10:36] | What do I do? I’ve got a dead body right in front of my store! | 那我该做什么? 一具尸体就横躺在我的店门口 |
[10:39] | No, you have a chalk outline of a dead body in front of your store. | 不 只是有个粉笔画的尸体轮廓在你店门口 |
[10:43] | – Meaning that there were two crimes. – What? | -这就是说有两起犯罪 -什么? |
[10:45] | What do you mean, ‘What?’ | “什么”是什么意思? |
[10:46] | Somebody got murdered, then somebody stole the body. | 有人被谋杀了 而且有人偷走了尸体 |
[10:48] | It’s open-and-shut. Bing, bang, boom! | 这是显而易见的 不是吗 |
[10:50] | – Is this your son? – I should say not! | -这是你儿子吗? -我想说不是 |
[10:52] | Look, my partner’s doing a head count to see if anybody in town is missing. | 我的同事正在统计人数 看看镇上是否有人失踪 |
[10:56] | Until then, just hang tight. | 在那之前 只能等着 |
[10:59] | What’s going on? | 发生什么事了? |
[11:00] | I don’t know. I got here, and this is what I found. | 不知道 我到这就已经这样了 |
[11:03] | I told him it looked fake, but he didn’t believe me. | 我告诉他了这看上去很假 但他不相信我 |
[11:05] | And you have such an honest face. | 但是你看上去那么诚实 |
[11:07] | He must not love me as much as you do. | 他一定没有你这么喜欢我 |
[11:09] | Okay, you two are officially sickening. | 够了 你们太肉麻了 |
[11:12] | Everyone’s accounted for. Looks like this is just an elaborate prank. | 没人失踪 看上去这只是个精心设计的恶作剧 |
[11:16] | It looks so real. Where’d they get the police tape? | 但这看上去很像真的 他们从哪弄来的警方的封条? |
[11:18] | Kids have their ways. | 孩子们总是有办法的 |
[11:19] | Who’d be depraved enough to pull a stupid prank like this? | 是谁不学好开这种愚蠢的玩笑? |
[11:22] | Hard to say. | 很难说 |
[11:33] | You’re not writing what you purchased on the back of these receipts. | 妈 你没在这个收据后面写清你买了什么 |
[11:36] | – Just put ‘cooking spray and sponges. ‘ – Okay. | -帮我写上烹调喷壶和海绵 -好的 |
[11:40] | When an auditor wants to know why you need such large amounts of those? | 如果审计员问你为什么要这么多呢? |
[11:43] | I drop my pencil, and put the scoop-neck sweater… | 我会把笔扔一边 穿上低领衫 |
[11:46] | that I’m making a mental note to wear, to good use. | 好好发挥下”优势” |
[11:48] | At least you’ve got a solid plan. | 至少你想了个详细的对策 |
[11:50] | I had a dream last night about us and Fran. | 我昨晚梦见我们和Fran 了 |
[11:52] | What was it? | 什么内容 |
[11:54] | It was in the future, and we were all old: | 我梦到很久以后 我们都老了 |
[11:56] | You, me, Rory, Jackson, Michel, everyone, gray hair, walking around with canes… | 你 我,Rory,Jackson还有Michel 大家 头发都灰白了 拄着拐棍 |
[12:01] | and we’re all kind of ailing. I had those big cataract glasses on. | 我们都年老体衰 我还戴着一副挺大的老花眼镜 |
[12:04] | You were hard of hearing. You kept going, ‘Huh?’ | 你的听力不好了 总是在说 “啊”? |
[12:06] | – Attractive. – It’s you kids with your rock ‘n’ roll. | -很有趣 -你们真有意思 |
[12:09] | But what, ho! Here walks up Fran. And guess what? | 但 啊 我又梦见了Fran 猜怎样 |
[12:12] | – She looks exactly the same, even better. – That’s not fair. | -她看上去还是老样子 甚至更精神了 -那不公平 |
[12:15] | That woman is gonna live forever. | 那女人会永生的 |
[12:17] | Not necessarily. Did you look up angina? I forgot to. | -不会的 -你的咽喉痛去看了吗 我忘问了 |
[12:20] | Yeah, it’s nothing major. | 看了 不是大病 |
[12:21] | – Guys, stop talking like this. – Like what? | -你们别这样说话 -哪样? |
[12:23] | We love Fran, remember? Fran is great. | 我们喜欢Fran 不是吗 Fran是个好人 |
[12:25] | No, of course we love Fran. | 不 当然 我们爱Fran |
[12:27] | We just want to know what God’s plan is for her, that’s all. | 我们只是想知道她的天命 |
[12:30] | I would advise at least pretending to look busy. The boss is here. | 我建议你们装的忙碌一点 老板来了 |
[12:35] | – You’re kidding. When? – I just spotted her walking in. | -你开玩笑吧 在哪? -我刚看见她走进来了 |
[12:39] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[12:41] | Mia! | Mia! |
[12:43] | My babies! | 亲爱的! |
[12:46] | – Did we know you were coming? – I didn’t know. | -我们不知道你要来 -我也不知道 |
[12:48] | – This isn’t a surprise inspection? – That’s exactly what this is. Ready? | -这难道不是个突击检查吗? -就是 准备好了? |
[12:53] | – You’re too thin, as always. – But we eat. | -你们太瘦了 像以前一样 -但是我们吃得很好 |
[12:55] | And you’re both too beautiful. | 而且你们太漂亮了 |
[12:56] | We often feel guilty monopolizing the amount of beauty we possess. | 我们总是很内疚我们霸占了美丽 |
[12:59] | I don’t see you enough, which is my fault, so you both pass. | 我没能常来看你们 这是我的错 所以你们都合格啦 |
[13:05] | Michel. How nice to see you. | Michel 很高兴见到你 |
[13:08] | And look at that suit. You are quite the dandy, aren’t you? | 看看那身西装 你多时尚啊 |
[13:11] | I had a feeling that a lovely woman was going to be visiting today… | 我有预感有个迷人的女人今天要来… |
[13:15] | so I decided I must look my best for her. | 所以我决定穿上我最好的西服 |
[13:19] | – I’m sorry. I didn’t catch a word of that. – He said he missed you. | -对不起 我听不懂 -他说他想你 |
[13:22] | You’ve been in the US quite some time. Your enunciation should be better by now. | 你来美国已经很久了 你的发音应该好些了 |
[13:27] | The customers seem to understand me just fine. | 顾客似乎都能明白我在讲什么 |
[13:31] | I didn’t get that, either. Did you get the tapes I sent you? | 这我也没听懂 你收到我给你的带子了吗? |
[13:34] | You should hit the desk. People are looking for help. | 你应该去前台了 有客人来了 |
[13:37] | Right away. Mia, I… | 马上 Mia 我… |
[13:43] | So are you too busy to sneak out with me for a walk? | 你是不是忙得不能和我出去散散步? |
[13:46] | – If it’s okay with the boss. – It’s a demand at this point. | -如果和老板那当然没问题 -这就对了 |
[13:49] | Let’s go. Michel, hold down the fort. | 走吧 Michel 有事你先顶一下 |
[13:51] | It’s a little slow now, so it’s no problem. | 这里不忙 没问题 |
[13:54] | He says he’s never liked you and that you’re a problem. | 他说他从来不喜欢你 还说你就是个麻烦 |
[13:57] | I said no such thing! | 我没说 |
[13:59] | I don’t know where this hostility comes from. Can we work this out? | 我真不知道他为什么这么有敌意 我们可以解决这个问题吗 |
[14:02] | There is nothing to work out. | 本来就没什么要解决的 |
[14:04] | – He told you to get out. – I did not! | -他让你出去 -我没这么说 |
[14:07] | I don’t know what I did to make him hate me. | 我不知道做了什么让他这么恨我 |
[14:14] | – Look at this place. Exactly the same. – I made him paint it a few months ago. | -看看这个地方 还是老样子 -几个月前我给它上了一遍漆 |
[14:19] | Well, good for you. Nice to see you, Lucas. | 恩 很好 很高兴见到你 Lucas |
[14:23] | You’re the only person that can call me that, Mia. | 你是现在唯一一个这样叫我的人 |
[14:25] | I know this. | 我知道 |
[14:26] | I’m saying it for others who plan to try it later. | 我是说马上有人就要学你了 |
[14:29] | Whatever, Lucas. | 随便 Lucas |
[14:30] | – Mia, you know anything about toasters? – Not a damn thing. | -Mia 会用烤面包机吗? -一点也不会 |
[14:33] | Then, sit down and let me get you some coffee. | 那就请坐 我给你弄点咖啡 |
[14:38] | So, Mia, how’s living in Santa Barbara? | Mia 住在Santa Barbara 感觉如何? |
[14:40] | Horrible. Did you know the sun shines all the time out there? | 糟透了 你知道吗 那天天都是大太阳天 |
[14:43] | They’ve written songs about that. | 嗯 有首歌写到过 |
[14:44] | No one told me that’s how it was. Half my wardrobe is obsolete. | 没有人告诉我那过去怎么样 我的衣服都过时了 |
[14:48] | – Drag. You know that blue coat? – You’re not getting it. | -少来 你那件蓝外套呢? -别打那件衣服的主意 |
[14:53] | – You’re making that worse. – Big help. Thanks. | -你越弄越糟糕 -多亏了你的帮忙(反语) 谢谢 |
[14:56] | Luke’s nephew. | Luke的外甥 |
[14:57] | – Luke, that’s your nephew? – It’s Liz’s kid. | -Luke 他是你的外甥吗? -是Liz的孩子 |
[15:01] | Jess, this is Mia. She owns the Independence Inn. | Jess 这是Mia 那个独立旅馆是她的 |
[15:04] | That’s, ‘Hello, nice to meet you,’ in slacker. | 这是他表达你好 很高兴见到你的方式 他很懒 |
[15:06] | You don’t need me down here, do you? | 没事了吧 对吗? |
[15:09] | I’m sorry, Mia. He’s just… | 对不起 Mia 他只是… |
[15:10] | Please, forget it. You weren’t exactly talkative yourself when you were his age. | 哦 算了吧 你在他那个年龄的时候也不爱说话 |
[15:15] | – That’s right. You knew Luke as a boy. – I can’t imagine Luke as a boy. | -对呀 你认识Luke的时候他还是个孩子 -我难以想象Luke小时候的样子 |
[15:19] | Can we change the subject? | 我们能换一个话题吗? |
[15:20] | He would help people carry groceries home. | 他那时候会帮人们把买的东西拿回家 |
[15:22] | – How very Boy Scouty of you. – For a quarter a bag. | -真是童子军的行为呀 -提一个包25美分 |
[15:25] | How very John Birch Society of you. | 看来约翰・伯熙社团很适合你呀 [注:John Birch Society,美国民间组织。 1958年12月9日成立,以反对共产主义, 提倡极端保守主义为宗旨] |
[15:28] | He was never without his skateboard for a time. | 那时候他整天离不了他的滑板 |
[15:30] | – Were you any good? – I could hold my own. | -你滑板在行吗? -马马乎乎 还不错 |
[15:32] | There was that year you wore the same shirt everywhere you went. | 有一年你走到哪都只穿同一件T恤 |
[15:35] | – I don’t remember that. – Maybe something flannel. | -我不记得了 -可能是法兰绒的衣服吧 |
[15:37] | No, it was from that TV show, that famous one. | 不是 是学那个很有名的电视节目里面的 |
[15:40] | – It’s not important. – Star Trek. That’s it. | -这些都不重要了 -对了 是星际迷航里的 |
[15:43] | – Oh, my God. – Stop it. | -哦,天呀 -算了吧 |
[15:45] | – You were a Trekkie? – I was not a Trekkie. | -你穿的象一个星际迷航迷 -我不是星际迷航迷 |
[15:48] | I believe denying you were a Trekkie is a violation of the Prime Directive. | 我相信否认是星际迷航迷是违反星际联盟最高原则的 |
[15:51] | Indubitably, Captain. | 毫无疑问 船长 |
[15:53] | It was a gift from my aunt. I wore it to make her happy. | 那是我阿姨送我的礼物 我穿着是为了使她高兴 |
[15:55] | I’ve never wanted to make any aunt that happy. | 我从没想要那样取悦任何阿姨 |
[15:57] | – Did I say something I shouldn’t have? – I have to cancel everything… | -我说了一些不该说的话吗? -如果是那样的话我收回 |
[16:01] | scheduled for the next three months, ’cause I’ll still be laughing my ass off. | 3个月以后 我仍然会大笑不已 |
[16:05] | – Luke, I need to talk to you right now. – What is it, Taylor? | -Luke 我需要和你谈谈 就现在 -什么事 Taylor |
[16:08] | I have conducted a thorough investigation of all the people… | 昨晚上 |
[16:11] | who may have inadvertently been witness to the phony murder… | 我对有可能目击我店门口那起假谋杀案的人… |
[16:14] | at my store last night. | 做了彻底的调查 |
[16:16] | There was a phony murder? | 还有假谋杀案? |
[16:17] | The town’s too dull to work up a real murder. | 小镇太沉闷了都不可能发生真正的谋杀案 |
[16:19] | You’re one ‘Beam me up, Scotty’ reference away from being the victim. | 你是星际迷航迷 不会成为牺牲者的 [注:“Beam me up, Scotty”是星际迷航的广告语 尽管这部戏中从未出现过这句话] |
[16:23] | – Are you gonna listen? – What’s this got to do with me? | -你在听吗? -这和我有什么关系? |
[16:25] | Three people have reported seeing Jess in that area late last night, skulking, lurking. | 3个人声明说昨晚看到了Jess在那附近 鬼鬼祟祟的 |
[16:30] | There were a lot of people out last night. | 昨晚有很多人出去 |
[16:32] | I fed them. I’ll give you their names to add to your suspect list. | 他们在我这吃东西 我给你他们的名字以便加在你的怀疑者名单上 |
[16:35] | A person witnessed Jess walking out of an arts-and-crafts store two days ago… | 有人看到过Jess两天前去了一家工艺品店 |
[16:39] | – with what appeared to be chalk. – You appear to be bugging me. | – 那里恰好卖粉笔 – 你好像想故意烦我 |
[16:42] | – What are you gonna do about it? – About what? | -你对此怎么解释? -解释什么? |
[16:45] | – About the results of my investigation. – Nothing, but thanks for the info. | -我所做的调查 -没什么好说的 但是谢谢告诉我你的调查结果 |
[16:48] | You have to do something. People want action. | 你需要做点什么 人们要看到你的行动 |
[16:50] | – People? Meaning you. – Not just me. | -人们?就是你吧 -不光是我 |
[16:53] | I speak for the Stars Hollow Business Association… | 我把这事告诉了本镇的商业联盟 |
[16:56] | the Stars Hollow Tourist Board, Neighborhood Watch Organization… | 还有旅游部门 社区保卫组织 |
[16:59] | and the Stars Hollow Citizens for a Clean Stars Hollow Council. | 还有本镇的议会 |
[17:02] | – All of which are you. – So are you going to act? | -这些不都是你组织的吗? -你还想装作若无其事吗? |
[17:05] | – I’m gonna act like you never came in here. – Fine, have it your own way. | -我会假装你从来没有来过这里 -好吧 你自己看着办吧 |
[17:08] | But I warn you, there’s gonna be a lot of unhappy people at the SHBA… | 但是我警告你 SHBA里会有很多人对此不满的 |
[17:13] | the SHTB, the SHMWO, and the SHCCHSC. | 还有SHTB SHMWO SHCCHSC的组织的人 [注:SHBA,SHMWO,SHCCHSC就是前面Taylor提到的镇商业联盟等组织] |
[17:17] | F- I-N-E! | 悉-听-尊-便 |
[17:19] | You are impossible! | 你简直不可理喻 |
[17:26] | – Hi, Mia. – Nice to see you, Taylor. | -你好 Mia -很高兴见到你 Taylor |
[17:30] | I’ve got to get out of Santa Barbara. I miss the small-town theater. | 我离开了Santa Barbara. 我想念小镇的戏剧性的一切 |
[17:36] | And I miss you. | 我也想念你 |
[17:37] | Do you realize it was 15 years ago, almost to the day? | 你意识到了基本上是15年前的事情了吗 |
[17:41] | – Yes, it was. – What was? | -对呀,好久了 -什么很久了? |
[17:42] | To the day when this skinny little teenage girl showed up at the inn. | 那天 一个瘦小的年轻女人出现在我的旅馆里 |
[17:46] | She had this tiny little thing in her arms. | 她的怀里有个小东西 |
[17:48] | – A little thing named Rory. – Okay, no physical re-enactment. | -这个小东西就是Rory -够了 不需要肢体语言 |
[17:52] | You marched up to me, looked me in the eye, and said: | 你朝我走过来 看着我的眼睛 说 |
[17:55] | ‘I’m here for a job. Any job. ‘ | 我来找一份工作 任何工作都可以 |
[17:57] | Well, IBM had turned me down for the CEO slot, so I was desperate. | 因为IBM没有给我CEO的位置 我当时绝望了 |
[18:00] | Work experience, none. Recommendations, none. Skills… | 没有工作经验 没有推荐信 技能 |
[18:03] | Besides flawlessly applying mascara in a moving car, none. | 除了可以边开车边完美地刷睫毛膏外 没有别的技能 |
[18:06] | Not one thing to recommend hiring her. Just that… | 没有什么条件能让我雇佣她 只是考虑到… |
[18:09] | How do I put it and remain a lady? That ‘who cares?’ look in her eye. | 我是怎么保持淑女的镇定的? 她那种“谁在乎呢”的眼神 |
[18:14] | So I gave her any job. The other maids hated you. | 所以我就给了她这份工作 另一个女佣很讨厌她 |
[18:17] | – Well, they were so slow. – You were special. | -呃 他们的工作效率很低 -你很特别 |
[18:19] | Why don’t you move back here? We miss you. | 那你为什么不搬回来了呢? 我们想念你 |
[18:21] | Or at least visit more. You never come at all. | 至少也要经常来 你基本上没有来过 |
[18:24] | I don’t have to. You’ve made me redundant. | 没有必要 你干得很好让我都显得多余了 |
[18:27] | – I have not. – Don’t be humble. | -才没有呢 -不要谦虚拉 |
[18:29] | The inn is beyond covered. | 旅馆的经营远远比我想象的要好 |
[18:31] | It’s never run this well or been this successful. | 从来没有如此的好过或者说成功过 |
[18:33] | That inn is like your place now. | 旅馆现在象是你自己的了 |
[18:35] | Without you, I wouldn’t know what to do. I’d be lost. | 没有你 我都不知道该怎么办 我会迷茫的 |
[18:38] | Lost, yeah. | 迷茫 是啊 |
[18:40] | – You look sad now. Why? – Nothing. | -你看起来很伤心 怎么了? -没有什么 |
[18:48] | In all the excitement, I hadn’t thought about telling Mia. | 那是个愉快的时刻 我没有想过在那时要告诉Mia |
[18:51] | – What is wrong with me? – Nothing is wrong with you. | -我到底怎么了? -你很好 |
[18:54] | I feel terrible. I should have told her before. | 我感觉糟糕极了 我应该之前就告诉她的 |
[18:56] | I should have told her the day the idea occurred to us. | 我应该在有那个念头的时候就告诉她 |
[18:59] | She deserved that. After all she’s done for me. | 他应该事先知道的 毕竟她那样做都是为了我 |
[19:03] | – Hello? – Lorelai, your daughter’s being impossible. | -你好? -Lorelai,你的女儿变的不可理喻 |
[19:06] | – She won’t pose in an appropriate manner. – I’m trying to, Grandma. | -她不会摆合适的造型 -我正在努力 外婆 |
[19:09] | – It’s just awkward. – Let me guess how you’re posing her. | -就是很别扭 -让我猜猜你是怎么给她摆造型的 |
[19:12] | She’s in a silly gown, on a silly chair… | 她穿着傻傻的礼服做在一张傻傻的椅子上 |
[19:14] | with both of her hands raised in some silly way. | 她的双手以某种愚蠢的方式抬起来 |
[19:16] | Just the one hand is raised, and none of it’s silly. | 不,就一只手抬起来了 而且看上去也不愚蠢 |
[19:19] | Pick a simpler pose. | 选一个简单的姿势吧 |
[19:20] | This is the simplest, and it wasn’t my choice. | 这是最简单的了 而且也不是我选的 |
[19:23] | And your choice is? | 那你的选择是? |
[19:24] | I wanted the swan to sit regally aside Rory’s throne. | 我想要天鹅庄严的坐在Rory的宝座旁 |
[19:28] | Swan? Throne? | 天鹅?宝座? |
[19:29] | Now you have a problem with swans and thrones. | 现在你对天鹅和宝座有疑问吗? |
[19:31] | Because swans and thrones scream one thing, Mom: Siegfried and Roy. | 因为天鹅和宝座只会对一件事情感冒 那就是Siegfried和Roy [注:Siegfried和Roy是LasVegas著名魔术师] |
[19:35] | – Who? – Make a change, Mom. | -谁? -换一个姿势 妈妈 |
[19:36] | I suppose you’d have her in the chair, reading a book. | 我想你会让她摆在椅子上看书的姿势 |
[19:40] | Now, that sounds great. | 恩 那听起来不错 |
[19:41] | – Be serious. – I am! | -我是认真的 -我也是 |
[19:43] | That’s a completely natural pose for Rory. | 那是对Rory来说最自然的姿势了 |
[19:45] | And a painting of her reading that’s gonna be hung in Dad’s study… | 把她看书的画像挂在爸爸的书房 |
[19:49] | seems just crazy enough to work. | 看起来够疯狂的 |
[19:52] | Maybe it’s not such a bad idea. | 这也许是个好主意 |
[19:54] | Give it a try, and let her lower her arm. | 试一试吧 叫她把手放下来 |
[19:56] | – Rory, you can lower your arm. – Thanks. | -Rory 你可以把手放下来了 -谢天谢地 |
[20:00] | I think he’s just hungry. We’re going to lose the swan! | 我觉得他饿了 天鹅要逃走了了 |
[20:03] | Good going, Mom. Bye. | 很好 妈妈 再见 |
[20:08] | So, how do I do this? | 那么 我该怎么做呢? |
[20:09] | – How do I tell Mia that I’m leaving? – Get her drunk first? | -我该怎么样告诉Mia我要离开 -先把她灌醉吗? |
[20:13] | I can’t believe it. I’m gonna let down the one person in my life… | 真不敢相信 我要让她失望了 |
[20:17] | who was there for me when I needed it the most. | 而她曾在我最失落的时候帮助过我 |
[20:20] | I wanted to put it on the front desk, but I think it might be a tad short. | 我想把它放在前台 可是我想可能地方小了一点 |
[20:23] | We could get a carpenter to build up a base and raise it up two inches… | 我们可以请一个木工来打个底座 这样可以提升2英尺 |
[20:27] | – and then it would be perfect. – Great idea. | -那样就完美了 -好主意 |
[20:31] | – I got that, every word! – Yes! | -我听清楚了 你说的每个字都很清楚 -太好了 |
[20:33] | I’m so proud. | 我引以为傲 |
[20:36] | So, you gonna tell her now or later? | 那么 你准备现在告诉她还是晚一点 |
[20:39] | Later, because she’s so happy that she can finally understand Michel… | 晚点 因为她是那么开心 她终于听清楚Michel的发音了 |
[20:43] | and that the lamp is fixed and… And that, too. | 而且那个台灯也安置好了 还有… |
[20:47] | – We’re late. – We’re not late. | -我们要迟到了 -我们不会迟到的 |
[20:49] | Last time, Taylor said there would be consequences. | 上次 Taylor说会有不良后果的 |
[20:52] | No, he said there would be severe consequences. | 不 他说的是会有好些不良后果 |
[20:54] | What time is it? Are we late? | 现在几点了?我们要迟到了么? |
[20:55] | – I hope so. – Mia? | -我希望是 |
[20:57] | I’m sorry, but it’s been two years since I’ve been to a town meeting… | 对不起 我已经有2年没有参加小镇的会议了 |
[21:00] | and I want some controversy. | 我想要有一些争执 |
[21:02] | Jeez! Don’t sneak up on me like that. | 不要那样鬼鬼祟祟的看着我 |
[21:05] | Yeah, boy, I was lucky you had your phasers on stun. | 是呀 我很幸运的看到你惊恐的表情 |
[21:09] | At least we’re not late. Luke’s never late. | 至少我们没有迟到 Luke从来不迟到 |
[21:11] | – Actually, we’re two minutes early. – We should get a prize for being on time. | -事实上 我们还早了2分钟 -因为准时 我们应该奖励自己一下 |
[21:14] | Luke, let’s go back to the diner and get some pie as our reward. | Luke 我们回去拿些薄饼作为奖励吧 |
[21:18] | – Then you’d be late. – A funny conundrum, but I want pie. | -那就会迟到了 -有意思的双关语 但是我确实想要片薄饼 |
[21:20] | – You’re harassing me now. – I’m not harassing you. | -你在给我使坏 -我才没有呢 |
[21:23] | We’re your groupies. | 我们都是你的崇拜者 |
[21:24] | – ‘Luke, you’re so dreamy. Be my guy. ‘ – ‘No, be my guy. ‘ | -Luke 你好帅呀 做我的男朋友吧 -不 做我的 |
[21:28] | I’m bringing up the need for more police protection. | 我的生来是为了保护更多需要帮助的人 |
[21:33] | I think we’re late. | 我认为我们迟到了 |
[21:35] | – What’s going on here? – Nothing. | -这里发生了什么事? -没事 |
[21:37] | Meeting was supposed to start at 8:00. It’s a minute to 8:00. | 会议不是应该8点开始吗? 现在还差一分钟8点呀 |
[21:40] | – You might as well be honest with him. – Honest about what? | -你最好也对他坦诚 -对他坦诚什么? |
[21:43] | If you must know, there was a special issue… | 如果你一定要知道的话 这里有个特殊的议题… |
[21:46] | the business community had to deal with first… | 商业联盟需要先处理一些事情 |
[21:48] | so we decided to start early. | 所以我们决定提早开始 |
[21:50] | I’m in the business community, and I wasn’t told about it. | 我也是商业联盟的一员 可是却没有人通知我 |
[21:54] | – Taylor? – All right, fine! You weren’t invited, Luke. | -Taylor? -好吧好吧 的确没有邀请你 |
[21:58] | – And why is that? – Controversy. | -那是为什么? -争执开始了 |
[22:00] | You weren’t invited because we are dealing with the Jess situation. | 你之所以没有被邀请 是因为我们在处理Jess的问题 |
[22:03] | The Jess situation? | Jess的问题? |
[22:05] | If this was the Wild West, we’d be diving into the water trough about now. | 如果在拓荒时代的话 我们现在分成了不同的帮派 [注:Wild West指拓荒时代蛮荒的美国西部] |
[22:08] | Damn it, Taylor! | 该死 Taylor |
[22:10] | – Luke, honey, calm down. – After all, this is all your doing. | -Luke 亲爱的 冷静 -其实一切都是你惹出来的 |
[22:13] | If you hadn’t so cavalierly dismissed the issue… | 如果不是你那么傲慢 不理会我说的话 |
[22:15] | we wouldn’t have had to do this. | 我们就不需要这样做了 |
[22:17] | I lost business because of what your hooligan nephew did. | 因为你那流氓外甥的所作所为使我的生意全没了 |
[22:20] | How was business lost, Taylor? | 怎么会没的呢?Taylor? |
[22:21] | If you opened late that day, your customers just came back later. | 如果那天你持续营业 也会有顾客上门的 |
[22:25] | Not so. When Mrs. Lanahan couldn’t buy her head of lettuce for her lunch… | 不是的 当Lanahan太太买不到中饭吃的莴苣的时候 |
[22:29] | she drove straight to Woodbury to buy lettuce from a competing market. | 她就开车去Woodbury买了 我们是竞争对手 |
[22:33] | Isn’t that right, Mrs. Lanahan? | 对吗?Mrs. Lanahan? |
[22:39] | You really shouldn’t be driving anymore. | 你真的不能再开车了 |
[22:41] | Word has it that she was telling other Doose’s Market shoppers… | 听说她还告诉我的其他顾客 |
[22:44] | that Woodbury lettuce is crisper. That’s business flying out the door. | 说Woodbury的莴苣更脆一些 于是我的生意就没了 |
[22:48] | Fine. How much is a head of lettuce? $1? | 好 一棵莴苣多少钱?1美圆吗? |
[22:50] | Let’s go crazy. Give me five heads. | 我发点狠 买五棵 |
[22:52] | This goes well beyond a head of lettuce, young man. | 这不仅仅是一棵莴苣的问题 年轻人 |
[22:55] | The charges against your nephew are numerous. | 还有大量针对你外甥的控诉 |
[22:57] | – He stole ‘Save the Bridge’ money. – He gave it back. | -他偷了为桥筹款的钱 -他还回去了 |
[22:59] | – Stole a gnome from Babette’s garden. – Pierpont was returned. | -他偷了Babette花园的守护神Pierpont -他把Pierpont送回去了 |
[23:02] | – He hooted at one of my dance classes. – He took a garden hose from my yard. | -他轻视我的舞蹈课 -他从我的花园拿走了水龙管 |
[23:06] | My son said he set off the fire alarms at school last week. | 我儿子告诉我上周他在学校敲响了学校的火灾警钟 |
[23:09] | I heard he controls the weather and wrote the screenplay to Glitter! | 我听说他控制天气 还给Glitter写剧本 [注:电影 星光闪闪(Glitter)二十世纪福克斯公司 (Twentieth Century Fox)2001年出品] |
[23:12] | – I think it’s time for me to pipe in. – Yeah, that’ll be good. | -我想现在是我说两句的时候了 -是呀 那太好了 |
[23:15] | I have every right, Luke. I’m a local entrepreneur. | -我最公证了 Luke -我是本地一个企业家 |
[23:18] | You took over your father’s newsstand. Doesn’t make you an entrepreneur. | 你接管了你爸爸的报摊不代表你就是个企业家 |
[23:22] | You took over your old man’s hardware store. | 你接管了你爸爸的五金店 |
[23:24] | – And turned it into a diner. – Big whoop! Who can’t fry an egg? | -还把那变成了一个小饭馆 -多伟大呀 谁不会煎蛋呢! |
[23:27] | Let’s keep things moving here, boys. | 让我们回到正题 伙计们 |
[23:29] | I never liked the look of that kid from the second I saw him. | 我从见到那孩子起就不喜欢他 |
[23:32] | – Unbelievable! – Excuse me, I’ve got the floor. | -不可理喻 -不好意思 可我有发言权 |
[23:34] | – You don’t have the floor. – I’m standing, aren’t I? | -你没有发言权 -我站在这里 不是吗? |
[23:36] | I was standing first, which means I have the floor… | 我先来的 这意味着我先有发言权 |
[23:39] | – and I’m not giving it to you. – What is with you two? | -而且我也不会让给你 -你们两个都怎么了? |
[23:41] | This goes way beyond the Jess matter, Taylor. | 这扯的也太远了 现在说的是Jess的事情 Taylor. |
[23:44] | Luke’s been on me since first grade, when he wrongfully accused me… | Luck从小就爱针对我 |
[23:47] | of sabotaging a clay imprint that he made of his hand. | 有次他用粘土做手模 硬说是我弄花了 |
[23:50] | Think hard. Was he dressed like Sulu? | 再仔细想想 他是不是穿的像Sulu? [注:Hikaru Sulu是剧集《星际迷航》中的亚洲探险家 他是U.S.S.企业号的舵手] |
[23:52] | No one cares about the stupid clay hand, Bootsy! | 没人在乎那个破手模 哥们 |
[23:54] | And you stomped on it, and three kids saw you! | 你踩坏了它 有3个孩子看到了 |
[23:57] | – No, I didn’t. – Yes, you did! | -不 我没有 -就是你干的 |
[23:58] | – No, I didn’t. – Boys, please! | -我没有 -伙计们 别这样 |
[24:00] | The bottom line here is that there is a consensus among townspeople… | 至少全镇的居民都一致认为… |
[24:04] | who are in agreement that Stars Hollow was a better place before Jess got here. | Jess来之后 我们镇就变得不安宁了 |
[24:08] | This half of the room gets the tar, the other gets the feathers? | 那么这半边的人说用沥青 另一半的人说用羽毛 [注:tar and feather在人身上涂满热沥青 然后沾上羽毛,是西方一种私刑] |
[24:11] | There hasn’t been any talk of tar and feathers, although… | 我们没有说到要严厉惩罚 虽然 |
[24:14] | Look, I’ve lived in this town my entire life… | 听着 我一直住在这个小镇上 |
[24:16] | longer than most everybody here. | 比在座任何一位住的时间都长 |
[24:18] | Beg to differ. I’m five weeks older than you. | 抱歉 我不敢苟同 我还比你大五周呢 |
[24:20] | That means I’ve been here longer. | 照你那样说 我呆的时间更长 |
[24:22] | I’ve never bothered anyone, I’ve kept to myself… | 我从不招惹别人 我一直一个人… |
[24:24] | and I’ve done the best I could. | 我一直尽力做到最好 |
[24:25] | I pay my taxes, and I help people when I can. | 我按时交税 也乐于助人 |
[24:28] | I haven’t pitched in on the decorative, pageantry town stuff… | 我没有参与小镇的大装修… |
[24:31] | because it all seems insane to me, but I don’t get in the way of that, either! | 因为我觉得那很愚蠢 但我也没有妨碍大家 |
[24:35] | – What’s your point, Luke? – His point is… | -你想说什么 Luke? -他的意思是… |
[24:37] | – Do you mind? – Be my guest. | -你介意吗? -请便 |
[24:39] | – If there’s a problem… – And I’m not saying there’s a problem. | -如果那个难题是… -我没说那是个难题 |
[24:42] | Right. But if there is, give him time to deal with it… | 恩 但如果是 应该给他时间去解决… |
[24:45] | before you storm his diner. | 在你袭击他餐馆之前 |
[24:47] | Right, what I’m dealing with, being a problem that I don’t necessarily agree… | 的确 我现在要解决的问题… |
[24:51] | that I even have! | 我甚至不觉得有问题! |
[24:52] | – Right. – I didn’t get that last part. | -没错 -我不明白最后你说的 |
[24:55] | Lay off him, because what you’re all doing stinks. | 让他退出联盟 因为你们只会大吵大闹 |
[24:57] | I’m done here. I’m done with all of you. | 我现在就退出 当着所有人的面 |
[25:00] | I was gonna stay open later in case anyone wanted to eat after the meeting. | 我本想把店门开着 要是有人开完会想吃东西可以来 |
[25:03] | Forget that. | 现在休想 |
[25:07] | His turkey burgers are very dry. | 他的火鸡汉堡太干了 |
[25:10] | Well, I must say, that was quite exciting. | 嘿 我觉得刚才很让人兴奋 |
[25:13] | A little disturbing. I think the whole town needs a field trip. | 有点让人不安 我觉得整个镇需要搞次社会调查 |
[25:16] | – You think Luke’s okay? – I think he will be. | -你觉得Luke会没事吗? -我想不会有事的 |
[25:18] | Just needs to cool off a little. | 冷静一下吧 |
[25:19] | I’m gonna go check on Dean. | 我去看看Dean |
[25:21] | He’s been scraping the outline off the cement for two days. | 这两天他一直在清除有尸体轮廓的水泥 |
[25:24] | Good idea. There’s nothing like your face on his… | 好主意 没有什么能像见到你的脸那样… |
[25:26] | to make the cleaning process go faster. | 加快他清理的进程 |
[25:28] | – She’s all yours, Mia. – I’ll take her. | -她是你的了 Mia -我会照顾她 |
[25:30] | Bye, hon. | 再见 亲爱的 |
[25:32] | I am just having the most wonderful time. | 我现在过得最开心 |
[25:35] | And I am so proud of you and Rory. You both have just come so far. | 我为你和Rory感到骄傲 就像你们刚来的时候一样 |
[25:40] | Yeah, we have. | 恩 是的 |
[25:44] | – I need to talk to you about something. – Of course. What is it, honey? | -我想跟你说点事 -当然 什么事 亲爱的? |
[25:49] | It’s really hard, and I should have brought it up ages ago… | 真不知怎么说 我应该早些告诉你的… |
[25:53] | but Sookie and I are thinking of making a change. | 就是Sookie和我想做一下改变 |
[25:55] | A change? | 改变? |
[25:57] | We’re going to open our own inn. | 我们想开自己的旅馆 |
[26:00] | We’ve talked about it for a long time, and it seems like the time is right. | 我们讨论了很久 看来现在是时候开了 |
[26:04] | I love the Independence Inn, and Sookie loves it, too. | 我爱独立旅馆 Sookie也是 |
[26:07] | – And we both love you so much. – I know. | -而且我们也很爱你 -我知道 |
[26:10] | But it just feels like something we need to do. | 我们只是想做一些我们想做的 |
[26:14] | – You hate me. – No, I don’t. | -你会恨我吧? -不 怎么会! |
[26:16] | I’m letting you down. I’m walking out. Being ungrateful. | 我让你失望了 我离开你 忘恩负义 |
[26:19] | Lorelai, stop. | Lorelai 别说了 |
[26:20] | Do you think I was naive enough to think that you’d work for me forever? | 你真的认为我会天真的让你为我打一辈子工? |
[26:24] | You and Sookie have more talent for this business than I do… | 你和Sookie在经营方面比我更有天赋… |
[26:27] | and I’m very good. | 我很通情达理 |
[26:29] | You’re going to open an incredible place. | 你会经营的很棒的 |
[26:32] | And if you don’t let me help you in any way I can, then I’ll be very mad. | 而且如果到时候你们有困难不来找我 我会非常生气哦 |
[26:36] | Of course we need your help. We’d be lost without your help. | 我们当然需要你的帮助 没有你我们会迷失方向 |
[26:39] | Good. I was just wondering, what’s the time frame for this big move? | 那好 我想知道这次大行动是什么时候? |
[26:44] | We’re waiting for this perfect location to free up. | 我们在等好店面出售 |
[26:46] | But you’ll have plenty of notice… | 这需要大量的信息… |
[26:49] | and I’ll be there to find replacements and train them. | 然后到时候会 找些接替我们的人 好好培训他们 |
[26:51] | That’s very sweet of you, but I’m wondering… | 你真贴心 但是我想知道… |
[26:54] | if you could make it sooner rather than later. | 你是否能及早解决这些 |
[26:56] | What? | 什么? |
[26:57] | Your leaving gives me the perfect excuse to finally sell the place. | 你们的离开给了我个很好的借口卖了旅馆 |
[27:01] | Sell the place? | 旅馆要卖? |
[27:02] | I get offers all the time, lucrative ones, but I never even considered it because… | 一直有很多人想买 给的价钱也不错 但是我从来没有考虑过 因为… |
[27:07] | Of course I love the inn, but I couldn’t do that to you. | 当然 我爱这家旅馆 但是我考虑得更多的是你们 |
[27:11] | And now that you have this big change coming up in your life… | 而现在你们遇到了一个重要的人生转折点 |
[27:14] | it might be time for one in mine. | 对我来说也是 |
[27:19] | Good. | 是的 很好 |
[27:21] | – Then it all works out good. – Actually, it’s very good. | -之后 一切都会很好 -事实上 是非常好 |
[27:26] | Okay. Well, good. | 是的 不错 很好 |
[27:51] | So, I’m working on the menu for the Duncan wedding. | 我正在拟订Duncan婚礼的菜单 |
[27:55] | – I can’t read that. – I know. | -我看不懂这个 -我知道 |
[27:57] | I had it all typed up neat to begin with, but on the drive to work… | 我已经整理好菜单 开始着手准备了 但是在开车来上班的路上… |
[28:00] | I got an inspiration. I started writing in the new stuff. | 我突然有了灵感 就开始写新的 |
[28:03] | And it ain’t easy writing and driving. | 边写边开车可不是件容易事 |
[28:05] | – I can’t read that. What is that? – I can’t read that, either. | -我看不懂 那是什么? -我也看不懂 |
[28:08] | I’ll just get you a new one. How did your talk with Mia go? | 我一会给你看一份新的 你怎么会跟Mia说你想离开的? |
[28:12] | Fine. Good. She took it like you said she would: Classy. | 恩 是的 就如你说的那样 她很平静的同意了 |
[28:15] | She is classy. Good. That’s a relief. | 她很平静 很好啊 我们解脱了 |
[28:17] | It’s a relief, right? You said she took it good? | 这是种解脱 对吗? 你说她很好的接受了? |
[28:20] | – Yes, she did. – But you look upset. | -是的 -但是你看起来有些生气 |
[28:22] | – She’s gonna sell the inn. – You’re kidding. | -她准备卖了旅馆 -你在开玩笑吧 |
[28:25] | She says gets offers, and this might be fortuitous timing for her. | 她说有买主 再说她觉得现在对她也是一个很好的时机 |
[28:29] | Well, great. Everybody wins. | 哦 那很好 大家都得利 |
[28:31] | That’s good. Look happy. Okay, this does not look happy. | 那很好 开心点 这不是开心的表情 |
[28:35] | I don’t understand how she can do this. | 我不理解她为什么这样做 |
[28:37] | – What’s the big deal? – The big deal is… | -有什么大不了的? -问题是… |
[28:38] | she’s not gonna sell it to another Mia. | 她不想卖给自己人 |
[28:40] | It’s gonna be a big chain, they’ll come marching in… | 是一家大的连锁店 他们会带着 |
[28:43] | with their business models, and their architects and designers… | 他们的经营模式 建筑风格和设计 |
[28:46] | change everything, the place will lose all its personality and charm. | 要是一切都变了 这里会失去原来的魅力 |
[28:50] | I hope they don’t, but our place is gonna be full of charm. | 我不希望那样 但是那样会让店更加充满魅力 |
[28:53] | You don’t care what happens here? | 你不介意将会改变些什么? |
[28:55] | Of course I do. But it’s not up to me. I can’t control that. | 当然介意 可不是由我作主 我无法控制 |
[28:58] | The only thing we can control is what our inn’s gonna be like. | 我们唯一可以控制的是我们自己的旅馆的样子 |
[29:01] | – I guess. – You guess what? | -也许吧 -也许? |
[29:03] | – We’ll see. – We’ll see what? | -到时候再看 -到时候看什么? |
[29:05] | It’s shortsighted to write off this place when we haven’t even bought Fran’s yet. | 在我们还没有买下Fran的店之前 就离开这里是没有远见的 |
[29:09] | – And we don’t know if we will. – We don’t? Why wouldn’t we? | -而且我们还不知道能不能买到 -不能?为什么不能? |
[29:14] | Is this about Fran’s life expectancy… | 是不是Fran预期寿命的问题… |
[29:15] | No, Sookie, it’s about the fact that we haven’t looked at other places. | 不是 Sookie 是我们连其他的店面都没看过 |
[29:19] | And we don’t know if that’s the right one. We have to be very practical about this. | 我们不知道那里是不是最合适 我们得亲自跑几趟才行 |
[29:23] | But it’s the perfect location. We all said so. | 但Mia的店是个好地段 大家都觉得 |
[29:26] | You can’t get emotionally attached to our decisions about the inn. | 不能冲动的作决定 |
[29:29] | This is business. You’ve got to stay detached. | 这是桩生意 得冷静一点 |
[29:31] | But we’re all so not detached. | 但是我们都不够冷静 |
[29:34] | – Do you have another location in mind? – Not really. | -你想到其他的地方没有? -还没有 |
[29:37] | Wanna look for a new location? | 想找个新的地方? |
[29:38] | Yeah, like I have all this time to go looking for other locations. | 是啊 好象我那么有空去找新地方 |
[29:42] | I don’t know. Should we try to buy this place? | 我不知道 我们是不是应该买下这地方? |
[29:44] | This place is five times what we can afford. | 这里的价格是我们预计的五倍 |
[29:46] | – So what do we do? – I don’t know. It’s on hold, I guess. | -那怎么办? -不知道 推迟计划吧 |
[29:49] | It’s been on hold for years. We were moving forward. | 已经推迟很多年了 我们现在刚开头 |
[29:52] | I’m looking at the economy right now… | 我看了下经济情况… |
[29:55] | and I don’t know if the timing’s good. | 也不知道时机是否得当 |
[29:57] | That’s not fair because I don’t know anything about the economy. | 那不公平 因为我完全不了解经济情况 |
[30:00] | Good you hooked up with me, because it’s not looking good. | 好在你跟我搭档 因为经济状况不怎么样 |
[30:03] | – Okay, what happened? – What do you mean? | -好吧 到底发生什么了? -什么意思? |
[30:05] | We had a vision, we had a plan. | 我们有了想法 也有了计划 |
[30:07] | You’re the one that got this ball rolling again… | 你把这个事情挑起来了 |
[30:09] | and then I jump on the ball, we’re rolling on the ball together… | 我也跟着加入 我们齐心协力 |
[30:12] | then you hopped off the ball, and I’m still on the ball! | 然后你又撇下我 让我一个人面对 |
[30:15] | I’m confused, because I see our vision. And you saw it, too, up until today. | 我很迷惑 因为我看到了未来的发展 你也看到了的 直到今天 |
[30:20] | Well, I know you would like things to be simple… | 好吧 我知道你喜欢简单直接… |
[30:23] | but unfortunately, things are more complicated. | 可是不幸的是 事情是很复杂的 |
[30:25] | That’s why we’d be partners. If something gets heavy… | 那就是为什么我们合伙的原因… 如果在一件事上有了困难… |
[30:28] | the other one’s there to pick up the slack. | 那么可以互相帮助 |
[30:30] | Yes, well, that’s great in theory, but I’ve got to tell you… | 是的 很好 你很有道理 但是我想告诉你… |
[30:33] | my back is aching from all the slack I’m taking up. | 我帮忙帮到腰酸背痛 |
[30:36] | – What did I do that’s so wrong? – Let’s not get into this stuff! | -我到底做错了什么呀? -我们别再说这个了 |
[30:39] | No, get into it! | 不 我要说! |
[30:41] | You’re not the most reliable person in the world. | 你并不是最可靠的人 |
[30:44] | – Or the most punctual. – You’ve always known that. | -或者最守时的人 -你一直就知道的啊 |
[30:46] | But getting into business, it’s not so cute. | 但是要做生意的话 这些习惯不好 |
[30:49] | It could hurt us. You were late for the Fran meeting. | 这样会损害到我们的利益 去见Fran的时候你迟到了 |
[30:52] | You’re constantly changing menus, even after you’ve started making it. | 你不断的改变菜单 甚至已经准备好了 你还要再改 |
[30:55] | I don’t believe this. Before, it was kudos for attention to detail. | 我不敢相信 在以前,注意细节才能保住名声 |
[30:58] | – I was ‘the maestro. ‘ – That’s fine for an established place… | -我是大师 -在像独立旅馆这样生意已经稳定了的地方 可以 |
[31:02] | but you do that at our place, it could wipe us out. | 但如果在我们的旅店那样做 会毁了它的 |
[31:04] | Profit margins in a new business are slim. | 刚开始的利润是很低的 Sookie |
[31:07] | – Stop! Now you’re talking down to me. – I’m trying to explain. | -住嘴!你现在是在教训我吗? -我只是解释一下 |
[31:11] | Yes, and I don’t know why you are, but I don’t want to start crying… | 是的 我不知道你为什么要这样 但是我不想在你面前哭… |
[31:15] | because it’ll give you one more thing to point at… | 因为那又会让你抓到话柄 |
[31:17] | to say, ‘She’s too emotional and weak to go into business with. ‘ | 说我在生意上太感情用事 太脆弱 |
[31:21] | So I’m leaving. | 所以 我现在要走了 |
[31:22] | And I’ll see you tomorrow, if I can remember to show up. | 明天再见吧 那要看我记不记得来 |
[31:29] | – I’ve got to drop by the market. – But it’s your day off. | -我要去一下超市 -但你今天休息 |
[31:32] | It’s to get my paycheck. | 要去拿我的薪水 |
[31:34] | If I don’t get it by 4:00, Taylor locks it in a safe. | 如果4点前不去拿 Taylor要把钱锁到保险箱里的 |
[31:36] | It’s on some kind of timer. | 有时间规定 |
[31:37] | When I complain, he lectures me on promptly putting checks in the bank… | 我只要抱怨 他就告诫我要及时把支票存入银行 |
[31:41] | and my head hurts from all the nodding I do, even though I don’t listen… | 就算我不听 一直点头也头痛 |
[31:45] | – Go. – I’ll just be a minute. | -去吧 去吧 -只要一小会儿 |
[31:53] | Should you be standing here all alone? | 你一个人在这里行吗? |
[31:55] | – I hear this is a dangerous corner. – I’m fine. | -我听说这里不怎么安全 -没事 |
[31:58] | – Feeling succinct today? – Pretty much. | -今天不怎么想说话? -是的 |
[32:01] | – Did I do something to offend? – Me? No. | -我做了什么冒犯之事吗? -对我?没有 |
[32:04] | – Ask that same question to Luke. – Meaning? | -同样的问题去问Luck吧 -什么意思? |
[32:06] | – You’ve got this whole town down on him. – How did I do that? | -你让镇上的人都跟他过不去 -我做了什么? |
[32:09] | You know how. | 你自己知道 |
[32:11] | I’m familiar with the blue-book laws in this town… | 我我熟悉这镇上的法规 |
[32:13] | you could be talking about a lot of things. | 不知道你具体指控哪件事 |
[32:15] | Dropping a gum wrapper, strolling arm in arm… | 是乱扔糖纸… |
[32:17] | with a member of the opposite sex on a Sunday. | 还是星期天跟异性手牵手溜达 |
[32:22] | What about it? | 那又怎么? |
[32:24] | You did it. The whole town knows you did it. | 是你干的 整个镇都知道了 |
[32:26] | – They had a meeting about it. – You actually went to that? | -就这件事他们还开了会 -你也参加了? |
[32:30] | Those things are so To Kill a Mockingbird. | 真是人言可畏啊 [注:《To Kill a Mockingbird》是黑人女作家Harper Lee 的小�f,1961年获得普立�奖 主要讲述了因种族歧视无辜 黑人被判刑而引起的一系列事情] |
[32:32] | Yes, I went, and Luke went. | 是的 我去了 Luke也是 |
[32:34] | When he got there, they ganged up on him. | 当他到那的时候 他们都合伙对付他 |
[32:36] | – They all want you gone. – Bummer. | -他们都想赶你走 -无赖 |
[32:38] | And he’s defending you and paying Taylor back for his lettuce losses. | 而他袒护你 还赔偿了Taylor的莴苣损失 |
[32:43] | – His what? – Now Luke’s a pariah, all because of you. | -Taylor的什么? -都是你 害Luck被大家孤立了 |
[32:48] | What a shock. You don’t care about any of this. | 真是惊讶 你一点也不在乎他 |
[32:50] | I didn’t say that. | 我可没有说 |
[32:52] | – Go. I’m tired of talking to you. – Fine. | -走开 我讨厌跟你说话 -好吧 |
[32:57] | You care nothing about Luke and his feelings! | 你根本就不在意Luke和他的感受! |
[33:00] | You got a second wind? | 第二轮风暴? |
[33:01] | All he does is stick up for you, and all you do is make his life harder! | 他一直都为你着想 可是你却让他的生活变得更糟! |
[33:05] | You have to when you’re trying to be Holden Caulfield, but I think it stinks. | 你想学Holden Caulfield 但我觉得那让人恶心 [注:Holden Caulfield是小说《麦田守望者》的主角 他被学校开除,却又不敢回家,流落于纽约这个繁华复杂 的大都会,面对成人世界的虚假与残酷,感受都市的悲哀] |
[33:09] | Luke has done a lot for my mom and me, and I don’t like to see him attacked. | Luke为我跟我妈妈做了很多 我不想让他受到打击 |
[33:13] | Okay, second wind over. | 第二轮风暴结束 |
[33:17] | Didn’t know they were hard on him. | 不知道他们会为难他 |
[33:18] | I never pegged you as clueless. My mistake. | 我一直不把你当蠢货 是我错了 |
[33:21] | Okay, I get it. | 是的 我懂了 |
[33:23] | I do, I get it. | 我懂 我知道了 |
[33:28] | Don’t you at least think it was funny? | 你不觉得好笑吗? |
[33:32] | – That is so not the point. – Yeah, you thought it was funny. | -那不是重点 -看吧 你觉得好笑 |
[33:36] | I got it. | 我知道了 |
[33:39] | Dean, I don’t think you two have met. | Dean 我想你们两个没见过 |
[33:41] | – This is Jess. This is Dean. – Boyfriend? | -这是Jess 这是Dean -男朋友? |
[33:44] | – Of course. – Sorry. You didn’t say. | -是的 -抱歉 你没提过 |
[33:47] | – How you doing? – Good. | -你好吗? -很好 |
[33:50] | – Okay, see you around. – Seems to turn out that way, doesn’t it? | -好吧 再见 -看来只能这样了 不是吗 |
[34:01] | Is Grandpa still in Akron? | 外公还在Akron? |
[34:03] | For Akron’s sake, I hope he’s moved on to Boise. | 因为Akron的缘故 我希望他去Boise |
[34:09] | Hi, we’re the daughter and the granddaughter. | 嘿 我们是他的女儿跟外孙女 |
[34:12] | – You are majorly crabby. – I just have a headache. | -你情绪不太好 -我只是有点头痛 |
[34:14] | Good! Come. It’s all done, and it’s great. | 哦 快来过来看 完成了 很不错 |
[34:25] | – What do you think? – It’s freaky. | -你觉得怎么样? -有点怪 |
[34:27] | – Freaky? – Just seeing me up on the wall like that. | -怪? -就像我在墙上一样 |
[34:30] | I like it, though. It’s good, I guess. | 不过我喜欢 我觉得很好 |
[34:32] | I should take myself out of the judging process. | 我不该多加评论 |
[34:35] | I think Richard’s gonna love it. It’s perfect. Don’t you think? | 我觉得Richard会喜欢的 它太完美了 你不觉得吗? |
[34:39] | – It turned out better than you thought. – Yeah. | -它最后完成比你想象的好吧 -是啊 |
[34:42] | Come on. Say a little more than that. | 拜托 说点别的什么吧 |
[34:44] | It’s great, Mom. It’s just a notch below Rembrandt. | 它很棒 妈 它就象伦布兰特的<山间小路> [注:Rembrandt,伦布兰特(1609-1669) 荷兰画家] |
[34:48] | You don’t have to take that attitude. | 你不应该用那种态度 |
[34:50] | I’d light some sparklers and jump up and down, yelling ‘yay’… | 我要点亮点火烛然后上跳下蹿的喊”yay”. |
[34:54] | but I’m out of sparklers, and my feet hurt too much to jump. | 但是我的火烛用完了 而且跳的话我的脚会非常疼的 |
[34:57] | But next week, when I have more energy, I’ll write a love song for the chandelier! | 但下个星期 当我有多点精力 我会写首情歌给树枝灯的! |
[35:03] | Mom. | 妈妈 |
[35:08] | How dare you walk away from me when I’m being a world-class jerk to you? | 我在你眼里是个十足的混蛋 你怎么敢从我面前走开? |
[35:14] | – The painting’s great, Mom, really. – Thank you. | -这幅画很棒妈 真的 -谢谢 |
[35:17] | I really like it. | 我真的喜欢它 |
[35:18] | It’s so natural that she’s reading, which is great. | 她阅读的样子那么自然 太棒了 |
[35:21] | She’s not sitting next to a goose, which is good, and Dad is gonna love it. | 她没坐在一只鹅旁边 很好 爸爸会喜欢的 |
[35:26] | It’s a good thing you did here. | 你做了件好事 |
[35:28] | You can be so harsh, and I don’t know where it comes from, or what I’ve done. | 我不知道为什么或我做了什么让你这么苛刻 |
[35:32] | – You did nothing. – I must have done something. | -你什么也没做 -我一定做了什么 |
[35:35] | It’s just been a bad week. | 只是这周不顺 |
[35:38] | Sookie and I were moving forward with plans to open our inn… | Sookie和我继续打算开我们自己的旅店 |
[35:42] | and we had a huge fight. | 然后我们发生了激烈的争吵 |
[35:43] | We’ve never had a huge fight, let alone a fight. | 我们从没有过激烈的争吵 甚至没有一次争执 |
[35:46] | Awful things were said. It started when Mia showed up for a visit… | 糟糕的事情起因于Mia的来访… |
[35:49] | and I told her about our plans. | 我告诉她我们的计划 |
[35:51] | She’s talking about selling the Independence Inn, and it wigged me out. | 她说了关于卖独立旅店的事 这让我变得激动起来 |
[35:56] | It’s stupid. I don’t know. | 这很傻 我不知道 |
[35:58] | But it was our home for so long, mine and Rory’s. | 但我和Rory这么久以来都认为那是我们的家 |
[36:02] | It’s just weird to think that it wouldn’t be there… | 只是一想到旅店没有了就觉得怪怪的… |
[36:04] | and Mia wouldn’t be there, and I wouldn’t be there. | 而且Mia走了 我也不在那干了 |
[36:08] | And I just got very upset. Anyway, I’m rambling. | 所以我只是很难过. 总之 我不知道在说什么 |
[36:14] | The painting is really great. | 那幅画真的很棒 |
[36:18] | Will you accept my apology? | 你愿意接受我的道歉吗? |
[36:21] | Yes, I will. I’ve had bad days, too. | 好的 我接受 我也有过不顺利的日子 |
[36:25] | – Thank you. – We should get back to Rory. | -谢谢 -我们过去看看Rory |
[36:32] | – Okay, I’m pretty much done. – Thanks for doing this. | -OK 我差不多都弄好了 -谢谢你帮忙 |
[36:35] | I didn’t want the rain to destroy your beautiful chuppah… | 我不想让你漂亮的彩棚被雨摧毁 |
[36:38] | I looked in the yellow pages, and didn’t see a chuppah waterproofer listing. | 我查了黄页 没看到有彩棚防水公司 |
[36:42] | How about chuppah-goat-figure repairman? | 干脆你做彩棚山羊修理员怎么样? |
[36:44] | – Gilbert. – What? | -Gilbert -什么? |
[36:45] | We named the goat Gilbert. He’s headless. Can you fix him? | 我们叫那只山羊Gilbert 他没头了 你能修好他吗? |
[36:48] | – Yeah, I got some glue here. I can fix him. – Good. | -能 我这里有胶水 我能修好 -那就好 |
[36:51] | I’ll make some tea. | 我去泡些茶 |
[36:52] | So, Sookie stopped at the diner this morning. | Sookie今天早上来了餐馆 |
[36:55] | I asked her how your plans were going at the new inn. | 我问她你们开店的计划进展得怎么样了 |
[36:59] | She awkwardly changed the subject to women’s basketball. | 她尴尬得将话题转到了女篮 |
[37:02] | She’s never shown much interest in sports before. | 她以前从没有表现出对运动多么有兴趣 |
[37:04] | What’s going on with that? | 那是怎么一回事啊? |
[37:06] | Women’s basketball is getting super popular. | 女篮最近超流行 |
[37:09] | That’s good, I think. The tall girls need an outlet. | 那很好 我觉得 那些高个女生需要一条出路 |
[37:12] | We had a fight. A big, humongous fight. | 我们吵架了 吵得天翻地覆的 |
[37:15] | – She’s never gonna speak to me again. – What happened? | -她再也不会和我说话了 -发生什么了? |
[37:17] | I just flat-out panicked about the enormity of what we were getting into… | 我只是没有理由的坦白了我们将要面对得恶劣情况… |
[37:21] | and it clobbered me, and I clobbered Sookie. I’m such a jerk. | 然后这打垮了我 而我打垮了Sookie 我真是个混蛋 |
[37:25] | – If I cry, will it freak you out? – Totally. | -如果我哭 会吓到你吗? -肯定的 |
[37:27] | – If I whimper? – How about you suck it up? | -如果呜咽呢? -不如你自己坚持下去? |
[37:30] | – I’ll try. – You’re as ready as you’ve ever been. | -我会试试的 -你和以前一样都有充足的准备 |
[37:34] | Luke, do not underestimate the total lack of confidence… | Luke 别低估了在我能力范围内… |
[37:37] | I have in my abilities. | 这整个自信心缺乏的状态 |
[37:38] | You’re the most confident person I know, obnoxiously so. | 你是我认识的最自信的人了 所以令人讨厌 |
[37:41] | – Thank you. – I mean in a good way. | -谢谢 -我指褒义的 |
[37:43] | – You’re good at what you do. – I’m good at doing what I have to do. | -你善于做你所做的事 -我善于做我必须要做的事 |
[37:47] | When I had to get a job, I got it. | 当我必须要找到一个工作时 我找到了 |
[37:49] | When I had to find a house, I got it. | 当我必须要找一个房子时 我找到了 |
[37:51] | When I had to get Rory into Chilton, I did it. | 当我必须要让Rory进Chilton时 我做到了 |
[37:53] | But I don’t have to leave the Independence Inn. | 但我并非一定要离开独立旅店 |
[37:56] | I don’t have to go into business for myself. | 我并非一定要自己做生意 |
[37:58] | I don’t have to walk out on that limb… | 我并非一定要开拓创新… |
[37:59] | – and risk everything I’ve worked for. – Don’t do it. | -以及用我努力过的一切冒险 -那就别那样做 |
[38:03] | – What? – Just stay where you are. | -什么? -还是呆在你原来的地方 |
[38:05] | What is this, reverse psychology? | 这是什么 激将法? |
[38:07] | No, just stay at the inn. You’re happy there. | 不是 就呆在那旅店 你在那很开心 |
[38:10] | – So you think I can’t hack it? – Of course you can hack it. | -那你觉得我不能胜任? -当然你能胜任 |
[38:13] | – Great, lip service. That’s what I need. – If I start to cry, will that freak you out? | -那好 阿谀奉承 那是我需要的 -如果我开始哭 会吓到你吗? |
[38:17] | I couldn’t stay where I am if I wanted. | 我就是想待在那里也不行了 |
[38:20] | Mia is selling the inn… | Mia正在准备卖了旅店… |
[38:23] | and that hit me hard, too, maybe harder than the other thing. | 那也让我很受打击 也许比其他事更打击我 |
[38:26] | I’m gonna be without a home. | 我要没有家了 |
[38:27] | What do you mean? This is your home. | 你是什么意思?这里是你的家 |
[38:29] | No, I mean a home-home, a memory home. | 不 我指一个家的家 一个记忆的家 |
[38:34] | The inn is where Rory took her first step. | 那个旅店是Rory走第一步的地方 |
[38:36] | It’s where I took my first step. | 它也是我走出第一步的地方 |
[38:39] | It’s more of a home to me than my parents’ house ever was. | 比起我父母的房子来 它更像是我的家 |
[38:41] | You’re scared, like everybody else when they’re taking on something big. | 你很害怕 就像大家遇到重大事情的时候一样 |
[38:45] | What does everybody do to get through this feeling? | 那其他人是怎么消除这感觉的呢? |
[38:47] | They run in the back, throw up, pass out, then smack their head on the floor. | 他们跑到后面 呕吐 晕倒 还用头撞地板 |
[38:52] | I did that on the morning I opened the diner. | 我第一天开店的时候就这么做的 |
[38:54] | There is no button to push to get you through this. | 世上没有一个按钮可以一按就消除这种感觉 |
[38:56] | You’ve just got to jump in and be scared and stick with it until it gets fun. | 你只需要跳进去 感到害怕并一直坚持 直到它变得有趣 |
[39:01] | – How long till the diner got fun? – About a year. | -那你的店花了多久才变得有趣的啊? -一年左右吧 |
[39:04] | – And there’s no button? Can I pull a lever? – No. | -没有按钮?我能推一个控制杆吗? -不行 |
[39:07] | – Turn a knob? – No. | -转个旋钮呢? -不行 |
[39:08] | – You just jump? – You just jump. | -你只能跳? -你只能跳 |
[39:11] | – I want to do it. – You should do it. | -我想那么做 -你应该那么做 |
[39:14] | Check it out. | 看他 |
[39:15] | – Gilbert, you’re not worse for the wear. – I’ll reattach him. | -Gilbert 你那身打扮不是盖的 -我会重新装上他 |
[39:18] | How did this happen, anyway? | 话说回来 这是怎么弄的啊? |
[39:20] | Something must’ve smacked into it with a hedger. | 肯定是某个种植树篱的家伙弄了东西进去 |
[39:22] | Well, now no one will ever know. Women’s basketball is in season. | 不过 现在没人知道了 现在是女篮的赛季了 |
[39:26] | You might want to run that news past Sookie. | 你应该想要把这个消息告诉Sookie |
[39:28] | Maybe you can go to a game or something. | 也许你可以去打一次篮球或是别的什么 |
[39:30] | Yeah, or something. Thanks. | 是的 或是别的什么 谢谢 |
[39:40] | Hi. | -嗨 -嗨 |
[39:44] | Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, stuffing: Comfort food? | 肉丸 土豆泥 还有些方便食物? |
[39:47] | It would be good with the weather changing. | 天气变化这些东西味道会好些 |
[39:49] | If you don’t think it’s right, I can make something else. | 如果你不喜欢 我可以做别的 |
[39:51] | Although I’m on-schedule and on-budget, so a change would throw things off. | 由于我有计划和预算 所以一切改变都会把事情搞糟 |
[39:56] | No, everything looks great. | 不 所有事都很棒 |
[40:01] | – Sookie. – Yeah? | -嘿Sookie -嗯? |
[40:03] | I’m sorry about what happened. | 我为发生的事感到抱歉 |
[40:05] | I said stupid things, and I said them for reasons… | 我说了些傻话 但我说那些事 |
[40:08] | that have nothing to do with you, I hate myself for doing it… | 不是因为你的原因 我恨我自己那么做… |
[40:11] | and I know you do, too, and I am sorry. | 我知道你也是 我很对不起 |
[40:13] | – It’s okay. – No, it isn’t. | -那没关系 -不 那有关系 |
[40:15] | You are a brilliant chef and to do things differently… | 你是个才华横溢的厨师而且… |
[40:18] | from how you do them now is ridiculous. | 想要改变你做事的方式 这样很愚蠢 |
[40:20] | You don’t tell a great violinist to hold his bow differently. | 不能让一个出色的小提琴家用 不同的方式握他的乐弓 |
[40:23] | You don’t tell a great cymbal player to crash his cymbals differently. | 不能让一个出色的铙钹(一种打击乐器) 演奏家用不同的方式敲打他的铙钹 |
[40:27] | – There are great cymbal players? – Theoretically. | -有出色的铙钹演奏家吗? -理论上说是有的 |
[40:30] | – Okay, well, it’s okay. – I want to go ahead with our plans. | -Ok 好 那不错 -我想继续我们的计划 |
[40:34] | Forget my freakout. Pretend it didn’t happen. | 忘了我的惊恐吧 当作那没有发生过 |
[40:36] | Let’s move forward. | 让我们继续下去 |
[40:39] | – You don’t want to move forward? – I do, but I need your promise… | -你不想继续了? -我想 但我需要你的保证… |
[40:42] | – you’re not gonna lose it on me again. – I promise. | -你不会再在这件事上失去我的支持了 -我保证 |
[40:45] | ‘Cause I couldn’t take losing a business partner… | 因为我不能一下子承受失去一个生意伙伴… |
[40:48] | and my best friend in one fell swoop. It’d be too much. | 和我最好的朋友 那太多了 |
[40:51] | I will place my hand on whatever you want and swear… | 我会把我的手放在任何东西上发誓 |
[40:54] | that you can trust that I will not lose confidence in our dream. | 你可以相信我不会再对我们的梦想失去信心了 |
[40:57] | That’s enough. I know you don’t like to put your hand on things. | 那就够了 我知道你不喜欢发誓的 |
[41:00] | We’re gonna give it our best shot. | 我们会全力以赴 |
[41:02] | And if we go down after two years… | 就算我们两年后撑不下去 |
[41:04] | It’ll be the most exciting two years of our lives. | 那也将是我们生命中最激动人心的两年 |
[41:07] | How about antiques? | 那古董怎么样呢? |
[41:08] | Absolutely. It’s the best place for antiques. | 明显的 这是个地方放古董最好了 |
[41:11] | Michel will have a map for you if you need it. | 如果你需要的话 Michel会给你一张地图 |
[41:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[41:15] | – Hello. Can I help you? – No, thank you. I just… | -你好 能为你做什么吗? -不 谢谢 我只是… |
[41:17] | Yes? | 只是什么? |
[41:20] | I just wanted to meet the woman who helped raise my daughter. | 我只是想要见一下那个帮助抚养我女儿的女士 |
[41:23] | – Emily. – Yes, I’m Emily Gilmore. | -Emily? -是的 我是Emily Gilmore |
[41:25] | I’ve wanted to meet you, too, for a very long time. | 我也一直想见你的 |
[41:28] | – That’s nice. – Would you like to sit down? | -那很好 -你想坐下说吗? |
[41:30] | – Have lunch with me, won’t you? – No, thank you. | -和我一起吃午餐吧 好吗? -不 谢谢了 |
[41:35] | You have a lovely place here. It’s a beautiful hotel. | 你这里是个可爱的地方 这是个美丽的旅馆 |
[41:37] | – Not a home, but still a beautiful hotel. – Sometimes home is where your hat is. | -不是一个家 但还是一个美丽的旅馆 -有时候 你的帽子在哪哪就是家 |
[41:42] | – Or where your family is. – Yes, that, too. | -或是你的家人在哪哪就是家 -是的 那也是 |
[41:46] | You sure you don’t want some tea? | 你确定不喝点茶? |
[41:47] | Tea usually makes things like this less awkward. | 茶通常使象这样的事变得不那么尴尬 |
[41:50] | There’s things to hold and stir. | 这样就有东西可以拿着和搅拌 |
[41:51] | – I don’t know why I came here. – You wanted to meet me. | -我不知道我为什么来这里 -你想见我啊 |
[41:54] | After all these years, it makes no sense. | 这么多年过去了 这变得没有意义了 |
[41:56] | – I expected you to come eventually. – Did you? | -我始终还是希望你来的 -是吗? |
[41:59] | And what did you expect to say to me when I did come? | 那当我来了你想对我说什么呢? |
[42:02] | When Lorelai showed up on my porch that day… | 那天当Lorelai抱着一个一丁点大的婴儿 |
[42:05] | with a tiny baby in her arms, I thought to myself: | 出现在我的门前时 我自己这么想的 |
[42:08] | ‘What if this were my daughter… | 如果这是我的女儿… |
[42:10] | ‘and she was cold and scared and needed a place to live? | 她那时又冷又怕 需要一个地方住… |
[42:14] | ‘What would I want for her?’ | 我会要她怎么样呢? |
[42:16] | And then I thought, ‘I’d want her to find somebody… | 然后我想 我想让她找到一个人 |
[42:18] | ‘to take her in and make her safe and help her find her way. ‘ | 让她进来 给她安全感 并为她寻条出路 |
[42:22] | That’s funny. | 那很滑稽 |
[42:24] | I would’ve wanted her to find someone who would send her home. | 我宁愿她找个人送她回家 |
[42:28] | I have to go. | 我必须走了 |
[42:30] | I’d appreciate if you didn’t mention this to Lorelai. | 我希望你不要跟Lorelai提起这事 |
[42:33] | I won’t. | 我不会的 |
[42:40] | Do you have pictures? From back then? | 你有照片吗? 以前的? |
[42:43] | I’ll send you a boxful tomorrow. | 我明天会寄给你一箱 |
[42:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[42:55] | Man, it’s such a relief to have that Sookie thing fixed. | 天哪 解决与Sookie问题真是让我松口气 |
[42:58] | – I hate fighting with friends. – That’s what enemies are for. | -我讨厌朋友间争吵 -那是敌人间才有的 |
[43:01] | God knows we have our share of those. | 上帝知道我们分享哪些 |
[43:02] | People who eat crunchy food with their mouths open. | 那些张着嘴巴吃松脆食物的人 |
[43:05] | People who dog-ear library books. | 那些把图书馆的书折角的人 |
[43:06] | – People who spit when they talk. – You got me in the eye! | -那些说话喷唾沫的人 -哦 恶心 你喷到我眼睛里了! |
[43:09] | – You totally did. – You’re full of it. | -我没喷唾沫 -绝对喷了 |
[43:11] | Luke, where’s my toast? | -你弄得全都是了 -Luke 我的吐司呢? |
[43:12] | It’s gonna take a while. My big toaster’s broken, so I got stuck… | 需要等一会 我的大烤面包机坏了 所以我 |
[43:16] | with just this dinky one. How did that happen? | 只能用那个极小的了 怎么会发生这事? |
[43:19] | – You’re gonna break that. – It was broken before. | -你会把那个弄坏的 -这个早就坏了 |
[43:21] | It must’ve got better. | 它一定是恢复了 |
[43:22] | Inanimate objects don’t usually get better. | 无生命事物通常不会恢复 |
[43:25] | – Did you fix this? – Please. | -你把它修好了?Jess? -拜托 |
[43:27] | I have no idea what you’re babbling about. I don’t fix things. | 我不知道你在胡说些什么 我不修东西的 |
[43:30] | – But yesterday… – I’ve got school. | -但昨天… -我要去上课了 |
[44:26] | English |