时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:38] | I’m glad you brought up nepotism, Senator. | 正好你提到任人唯亲 参议员 |
[01:41] | Um, if this were an outright appointment, | 如果总统是直接任命 |
[01:43] | that would be one thing, | 情况肯定不同 |
[01:44] | but in this case, the president can only nominate. | 但他只能提名我而已 |
[01:47] | It’s the Senate that deems me worthy. | 我的能力得由参议院认可 |
[01:50] | I’m here to convince you that I am. | 我正是来博得你们的认可的 |
[01:53] | Although, I must admit, | 不过说实话 |
[01:54] | my husband never remembers to put the toilet seat down, | 我丈夫上完厕所从不放下马桶圈 |
[01:56] | so he could be trying to make it up to me. | 他也可能是想补偿我 |
[02:00] | My larger concern is your experience. You have very little. | 我更担心的是你缺乏经验 |
[02:03] | Well, a decade ago, I founded a small nonprofit | 十年前 我成立了个小慈善组织 |
[02:06] | and I built it into a major global player. | 后来影响力逐渐遍及全球 |
[02:10] | I shepherded a number of bills through Congress on its behalf. | 我代表我的组织在国会通过了数项法案 |
[02:13] | And over the last year, | 而去年一年 |
[02:14] | I’ve dedicated myself to sexual assault reform, | 我都致力于性侵法案改革 |
[02:17] | and have made meaningful strides. | 已经取得可喜进展 |
[02:19] | Now, while this may not qualify as statecraft, | 虽然算不上治国才能 |
[02:22] | it does illustrate my effectiveness, | 但也表明了我的能力 |
[02:24] | the same effectiveness I plan on bringing to the United Nations. | 我也希望在联合国发挥我的能力 |
[02:28] | Thank you, Mrs. Underwood. I yield the remainder of my time. | 谢谢 安德伍德夫人 我放弃我剩余的时间 |
[02:33] | Uh, Mrs. Wallace of North Dakota, you have eight minutes. | 北达科塔州的华莱士夫人 您有八分钟 |
[02:37] | Thank you, Mr. Chairman. | 谢谢 主席先生 |
[02:39] | Mrs. Underwood, allow me to get specific. | 安德伍德夫人 我细问一下 |
[02:42] | What is your take on UN Resolution 9214, | 您对联合国9214号决议 |
[02:45] | the imposition of sanctions on the Congo for the– | 强行赦免刚果境内 |
[02:48] | The illegal mining and smuggling of mineral resources. | 非法采煤以及走私煤矿行为的看法吗 |
[02:51] | Yes. The United States voted against this resolution. | 是的 美国投了反对票 |
[02:55] | The DRC is already wracked with economic hardship, | 刚果共和国经济本就欠发达 |
[02:58] | compounded by an unstable government. | 再加上政治局势不稳定 |
[03:00] | It ranks 192 out of 194 in GDP per capita. | 煤矿几乎是唯一的人均GDP来源 |
[03:05] | I think we need to encourage foreign investment | 我认为我们应该鼓励外国资本进入 |
[03:07] | and develop new forms of economic growth | 发展新的经济增长模式 |
[03:09] | rather than make one of the world’s poorest countries even poorer. | 而不是让刚果一穷到底 |
[03:13] | From a national security perspective, | 从国家安全角度考虑 |
[03:14] | the United States maintains | 刚果的繁荣发展 |
[03:16] | a strong interest in the success of the DRC. | 仍对美国是有利的 |
[03:19] | – We want a stable nation… – They’re here. | -我们需要刚果稳定… -他们来了 |
[03:21] | …that can help us in combating the spread | …才能助我国对抗 |
[03:24] | of Islamic radicalism throughout the continent. | 极端伊斯兰分子在非洲的扩散 肆虐 |
[03:27] | And in order to achieve that, we need to work as its ally, | 要做到这点 我们得做他们的盟友 |
[03:30] | not its disciplinarian. | 而不是监督人 |
[03:35] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[03:36] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[03:40] | Jackie. | 杰姬 |
[03:42] | Terry. | 泰瑞 |
[03:43] | Shall we? | 坐吧 |
[03:44] | Now you all have the, uh… overview. But what we have here today | 大纲你们都有了 今天要谈的是 |
[03:47] | – is the comprehensive breakdown– – Sir, before we begin– | -细化过的… -先生 开始之前 |
[03:50] | Look, Bob, I know you have some serious doubts about this program. | 鲍勃 我知道你对法案还有疑虑 |
[03:52] | But just let me flesh it out first, | 先让我把它亮出来 |
[03:54] | and then I promise we can address any questions that you might have. | 然后你有什么疑虑 我们再解决 |
[03:58] | – Uh, Mr. President– – Ten million jobs. | -总统先生 -一千万个岗位 |
[04:00] | Can we all agree that that’s a good thing for this country? | 大家都同意这对国家是好事吧 |
[04:03] | Universal employment. | 保障全体就业 |
[04:05] | It’s the key for our keeping the White House in 2016. | 这是2016年留在白宫的关键 |
[04:08] | It’s the only chance we have of winning back majorities in Congress. | 也是唯一赢回国会多数席位的机会 |
[04:11] | Now, the election’s only 18 months away. | 离大选只有18个月 |
[04:13] | We need to do something bold, something decisive. | 我们得做点大胆 坚决的事 |
[04:16] | We need to redefine our party. | 给我党改头换面 |
[04:18] | Actually, that’s what we wanted to discuss. | 我们想说的就是这个 |
[04:20] | You’re right, we do need to redefine the party. | 我党的确得改头换面 |
[04:22] | We need to do it with a fresh face. | 换个新面孔 |
[04:24] | 2016. We don’t want you to run. | 我们不希望您参加2016大选 |
[04:27] | You weren’t even elected to the office in the first place. | 您本就不是民选的总统 |
[04:29] | The pardons hurt you. Approvals are low. | 之前的赦免很致命 支持率非常低 |
[04:32] | We’re not casting blame, sir. | 我们不想怪谁 先生 |
[04:33] | We just believe that this is best for the party. | 只是为党的利益考虑 |
[04:46] | I suspected this was coming, but months from now. | 我猜到会有这一天 但不是这么快 |
[04:49] | I was hoping by then I’d have something to show for my efforts, | 我还希望到时候能拿出点成绩 |
[04:51] | that I could preempt their doubts with progress. | 用进展打消他们的顾虑 |
[04:55] | They’re nervous. They’re being impulsive. | 他们很紧张 这是冲动之举 |
[04:57] | It’s a bit early to be deciding something like this. | 现在做这种决定太早了吧 |
[05:00] | Shouldn’t we revisit this when we’re closer to the primaries? | 等初选临近了再考虑吧 |
[05:02] | What do you think, Terry? | 你说呢 泰瑞 |
[05:04] | Like you said, sir, we only have 18 months until the general. | 您也说了 我们离大选只有18个月了 |
[05:07] | Less than half of that to Iowa. | 离爱荷华州大选不到9个月了 |
[05:08] | We would want to settle on a candidate soon. | 我们想尽快确定候选人 |
[05:10] | Someone who the whole party can get behind | 全党一致支持的人 |
[05:11] | like the Republicans are getting behind Mendoza. | 就像共和党的门多萨 |
[05:13] | And who would that be? | 是谁呢 |
[05:15] | We haven’t had a discussion on that yet. | 还没讨论过 |
[05:16] | We came to you first, out of respect. | 我们出于尊重 先来找您 |
[05:18] | – Well, there must be a shortlist. – No, not yet. | -总有几个人选吧 -还没有 |
[05:22] | It’ll be a process to find the right person. | 找到合适人选需要时间 |
[05:25] | And we were hoping that you would be a part of that process. | 而我们希望您也能参与其中 |
[05:27] | Obviously, this is a request, Mr. President. | 当然了我们只是请求 总统先生 |
[05:30] | It’s your decision. | 拍板的还是您 |
[05:31] | But if you do run, sir, you won’t have our support. | 但如果您决定参选 恕我们不能支持 |
[05:36] | Jackie? | 杰姬 |
[05:40] | I stand by the rest of the leadership. | 我支持领导层的决定 |
[05:45] | Well, this is certainly a lot to think about. | 好吧 还有许多事需要考虑 |
[05:47] | Let’s table our discussion on America Works for another time, | 我们改天再聊《美国就业法案》的事 |
[05:50] | but thank you all for being so forthright. | 不过感谢各位如此直率 |
[05:52] | I’ll get back to you on this issue a little later on. | 我稍后会就此问题给你们答复 |
[05:55] | Would you like us to stick around for a while? | 您介不介意我们先逗留一阵子 |
[05:56] | We wouldn’t want the press to think we came all the way here | 我们可不希望媒体觉得我们特地来跑一趟 |
[05:59] | – for a five-minute meeting. – That’s a very good idea. | -就为了五分钟的小会 -好想法 |
[06:01] | No raised eyebrows. | 不能引起非议 |
[06:02] | I’ll have some refreshments sent for you into the Map Room. | 我会叫人送茶点到地图室的 |
[06:05] | Wonderful. | 很好 |
[06:06] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢您 总统先生 |
[06:17] | As a vocal proponent for the Sexual Assault Bill last session, | 作为上次会议性侵法案的主要支持者 |
[06:21] | are you concerned about your relationship with the US military? | 你是否担忧你和美国军队的关系 |
[06:24] | No, I’m not, Senator. | 我并不担心 参议员 |
[06:25] | I worked closely with the Joint Chiefs on that bill. | 我和参联会在那项法案上合作密切 |
[06:27] | What if there were a peacekeeping mission in, say, Burma, | 假设现在缅甸有一项维和行动 |
[06:30] | to quell civil unrest, | 镇压平民暴动 |
[06:32] | and the United Nations asked us to contribute troops, | 联合国要求我国出兵 |
[06:36] | to put our servicemen and women’s lives in peril. | 让我们的男女士兵冒生命危险 |
[06:38] | If you’re using Myanmar as a hypothetical, | 如果您用缅甸做假设的话 |
[06:40] | I think we’re a long way from that, but as Ambassador– | 我觉得这一段时间内还不会发生 不过作为大使 |
[06:43] | My question concerns the use of US military. | 我的问题关注的是美国军力的使用 |
[06:46] | The US military is irrelevant. The current situation– | 美军是无关紧要的 缅甸的现状是… |
[06:49] | Excuse me, Mrs. Underwood. The US military is irrelevant? | 抱歉 安德伍德夫人 美军无关紧要吗 |
[06:53] | Well, I– That’s not what I said. | 我不是这个意思 |
[06:54] | You said verbatim: “The US military is irrelevant.” | 这是你的原话 “美军是无关紧要的” |
[06:57] | Well, in the, in the context of– I meant… | 我所想表达的意思是… |
[07:00] | uh, that there are plenty– | 这其中有许多… |
[07:04] | I have the utmost respect and appreciation for our troops, sir. | 我对美国军人无比尊敬 先生 |
[07:07] | Not with statements like that, you don’t. | 你这话可不像是有多尊敬 |
[07:08] | Senator, if I may, I can explain. | 参议员 请允许我解释 |
[07:10] | How do we explain to the men and women who serve, | 我们该怎么向海外服役的男女士兵 |
[07:12] | who put their lives on the line, | 那些出生入死的人解释 |
[07:13] | that our ambassador thinks they’re irrelevant? | 我们驻联合国的大使认为他们无关紧要 |
[07:17] | I think that’s an unfair characterization of what I intended– | 我觉得您这样说实在是曲解了我的本意 |
[07:19] | I am not characterizing anything, Mrs. Underwood, | 我可没有曲解什么 安德伍德夫人 |
[07:21] | you said the words. | 话是你自己说的 |
[07:23] | And now you’re trying to backpedal your way out of it. | 而现在你又想耍花招赖掉自己的话 |
[07:24] | – You’re trying to take my words– – Don’t interrupt me. | -您就是在断章取义 -不要打断我 |
[07:26] | If you will stop interrupting me, I can explain– | 如果您能不打断我的话 我可以解释的 |
[07:28] | No, you see, we ask the questions, you answer them. | 瞧 问问题的是我们 你只管回答 |
[07:30] | You’re not allowing me to answer the questions, Senator. | 而您就是不让我好好回答问题 参议员 |
[07:33] | If you could maybe listen instead of grandstanding. | 您只顾着哗众取宠 就是不肯听我讲 |
[07:39] | The position you’re being considered for | 你此次应征的职位 |
[07:41] | requires calm, cool diplomacy. | 要求你有冷静沉稳的外交手段 |
[07:44] | What concerns me even more than the military comment | 相比你对军方的言论 |
[07:47] | is your demeanor. | 我们更担心你的举止 |
[07:49] | Is this what we’re to expect from our ambassador? | 我们就要让你这样的人去当大使吗 |
[07:52] | A hothead? | 一个急性子 |
[07:56] | Go ahead, Mrs. Underwood, I’m listening. | 那请吧 安德伍德夫人 我洗耳恭听 |
[08:01] | Maybe it’s leverage for another play. | 也许他们别有所图 |
[08:02] | Scare the wits out of me and then come with the big ask. | 先吓破我的胆 然后漫天要价 |
[08:04] | You sure there is one? | 你确定他们有价码吗 |
[08:06] | America Works. They want to kill it. | 他们想毙掉《美国就业法案》 |
[08:08] | Or soften me up to consider another VP candidate for the ticket. | 或者逼我考虑换一个总统竞选搭档 |
[08:11] | They’re no fans of Blythe. | 他们不喜欢布莱斯 |
[08:12] | Could be anything, any combination of things. | 什么事都有可能 没准要求多着呢 |
[08:14] | – What? – You saw it? | -怎么了 -您还没看到吗 |
[08:16] | – Saw what? – The First Lady, sir. | -看到什么 -第一夫人 先生 |
[08:23] | Jesus. | 天啊 |
[08:25] | I better call her. | 我得赶紧打给她 |
[08:26] | She’s still in the hearing, sir. | 她还在参加听证 |
[08:28] | I need to see this whole thing. Let’s get ahead of it if we can. | 我要把整个过程看一遍 最好提前想想对策 |
[08:30] | – The Solicitor General is here. – Cancel it. | -副检察长到了 -取消会面 |
[08:32] | – You’ve already postponed twice. – Postpone it again. | -您已经推迟两次了 -那再推迟一次 |
[08:34] | We can’t put it off, sir. | 不能再推迟了 先生 |
[08:35] | It goes to the Supreme Court in less than a month. | 还有不到一个月就要上最高法院了 |
[08:37] | We have bigger fish to fry. | 我们有更大的事要处理 |
[08:38] | An American citizen was injured by a drone strike. | 一名美国公民在无人机袭击中受伤 |
[08:41] | That Walker authorized, not me. | 那是沃克下的令 不是我 |
[08:42] | But you’re the sitting president. | 但你是在任总统 |
[08:44] | If we lose this, it undermines your authority. | 如果处理不力 对你的权威会有极大损害 |
[08:47] | The media is all over it. | 媒体报道铺天盖地 |
[08:48] | We need our rhetoric in line with the Solicitor General’s. | 我们必须跟副检察长统一说辞 |
[08:50] | All right. Christ! Send her in. | 行了 老天爷 让她进来 |
[08:52] | I’ll put this clip on your computer, for when you’re done. | 我会把片段放到您电脑上 方便您查阅 |
[08:56] | Terry Womack. Today. Privately. | 私下联系泰瑞·乌麦克 我今天就要见他 |
[09:16] | Ms. Dunbar. | 邓巴女士 |
[09:19] | Before we begin, I’d like to clear the air. | 在我们开始前 有些话我要说清楚 |
[09:24] | Your report. You did good work, necessary work, | 你的报告真的非常好 非常必要 |
[09:28] | and I admire you for it. | 我对此表示敬意 |
[09:30] | I appreciate you saying that, sir. | 谢谢您的肯定 先生 |
[09:32] | And you understand the position I was in with the pardons. | 你也理解我下达赦免令的考虑 |
[09:34] | That’s politics, sir. Not my expertise. | 那是政治问题 我不在行 |
[09:37] | What’s past is past? | 那我们既往不咎了吗 |
[09:39] | My focus is the argument I’ll present to the court. | 我关注的是要在法庭上说什么 |
[09:45] | She sees me as the bank robber who made it to the county line. | 她觉得我就是抢了银行逃到郡界的劫匪 |
[09:48] | But she’s smart enough to leave her badge at the door. | 但她很聪明 没把这态度带进门 |
[09:52] | So, the case. | 那么 这案子 |
[09:54] | As you know, sir, we think the State secret defense is strong. | 先生 我们觉得以国家机密来辩护十分可行 |
[09:57] | When I consulted with the CIA on the– | 我与中情局商议时… |
[09:59] | I’m wondering if State secrets is the best tactic. | 我在想用国家机密做辩护是不是最好的策略 |
[10:03] | Both of Mahmoud’s legs were amputated. | 默罕默德的两条腿都被截肢了 |
[10:05] | He will be in the gallery, in his wheelchair. | 他会坐在轮椅上 出现在旁听席 |
[10:08] | That’s a powerful image. | 这画面非常震撼 |
[10:10] | Even Supreme Court Justices have hearts. | 就算是最高法院法官也会心软 |
[10:13] | We need to stay in their heads. | 我们得让他们理性思考 |
[10:14] | A procedural route is clearly– – | 诉讼程序显然… |
[10:17] | Excuse me. | 稍等 |
[10:20] | Yes? | 是的 |
[10:22] | Uh, tell her I need to watch something | 告诉她我得看点东西 |
[10:24] | and I’ll call her back from my study in two minutes. | 两分钟后在书房给她回电 |
[10:26] | – It’s my wife. I’m sorry. – Please. | -是我夫人 抱歉 -没关系 |
[10:40] | – …you answer them. – You’re not allowing me | -你只管回答 -而您就是不让我 |
[10:41] | to answer questions, Senator. | 好好回答问题 参议员 |
[10:42] | Maybe you would benefit more | 您只顾着哗众取宠 |
[10:43] | from listening than grandstanding. | 就是不肯听我讲 |
[10:50] | I just watched. How can I help? | 我刚看完 我能做什么 |
[10:52] | I’m calling Senators. | 我在给各个参议员打电话 |
[10:54] | I think it would be heavy-handed if you did too. | 如果你也给他们打就太过了 |
[10:56] | Well, I don’t blame you for getting upset. | 你生气我能理解 |
[10:58] | – You didn’t deserve that. – I’m a target now. | -你不应该受如此对待 -我成靶子了 |
[11:00] | – That’s the price of admission. – We both are. | -这是从政的代价 -我们都是靶子 |
[11:04] | The leadership, they don’t want me to run. | 领导层不希望我参加竞选 |
[11:07] | – What? – Yeah, that’s what they said | -什么 -他们是这么说的 |
[11:09] | before I could even present the program. | 我都没来得及拿出法案 |
[11:11] | – This soon? – Yeah, that’s what surprised me. | -这么快吗 -是啊 我也很惊讶 |
[11:14] | – The entire leadership? – All of them, including Jackie. | -整个领导层吗 -所有人 包括杰姬 |
[11:21] | – That woman has no sense of loyalty. – Well, we’ll see. | -这女人毫无忠心 -等着看吧 |
[11:24] | I’m gonna meet with Womack. Turn him around. | 我要和乌麦克见面 让他改主意 |
[11:27] | They only have strength in numbers. | 他们只是人多势众 |
[11:38] | Continue, please. | 请继续 |
[11:39] | As I was saying, we think our procedural defense is strong. | 正如之前所说 我们的程序性抗辩很可行 |
[11:43] | State secrets prohibit the introduction of evidence. | 国家机密不允许被用作证据 |
[11:46] | Assuming they won’t dismiss outright, | 即使他们不直接撤案 |
[11:49] | the argument will focus on deference to the executive. | 辩论也会聚焦于遵从行政命令 |
[11:52] | Separation between the courts and foreign policy. | 法院和外交政策的独立性 |
[11:55] | They simply don’t have the security intelligence | 我们面对来自多领域的威胁 |
[11:58] | to second-guess covert operations | 他们根本没有足够的安全情报 |
[12:00] | while we’re facing threats on multiple fronts. | 事后指戳秘密行动的合理性 |
[12:08] | Sir? | 先生 |
[12:10] | – I can’t do this now. – Excuse me, sir? | -我现在无法处理 -您说什么 先生 |
[12:13] | My office will be in touch. Apologies. Thank you very much. | 我的办公室会与你联系 抱歉 谢谢 |
[12:19] | Maybe you would benefit more from listening than grandstanding. | 您只顾着哗众取宠 就是不肯听我讲 |
[12:22] | Joining me now from Capitol Hill, | 欢迎收看CNN首席国会记者 |
[12:23] | CNN’s Chief Congressional Correspondent, Dana Bash. | 达娜·巴什从国会发来的报道 |
[12:26] | Dana, what is the mood at the Capitol? | 达娜 现在国会意向如何 |
[12:28] | Right, I understand, but… | 没错 我理解 |
[12:28] | We already have several Senators publicly saying | 已经有几位参议员公开表示 |
[12:30] | that they’re gonna vote against Mrs.Underwood | 由于安德伍德夫人的言论 |
[12:32] | because of her comments. | 将会投票反对她 |
[12:34] | A number of others I’ve spoken to | 而另一些参议员 |
[12:35] | have gone from supporting her… | 从支持她 |
[12:36] | – Right. – …nomination, to being on the fence. | -好的 -转变为了持观望态度 |
[12:38] | But, Dana, she’s correct, isn’t she? | 但达娜 她说的对吧 |
[12:40] | Mendoza was grandstanding. | 门多萨就是在哗众取宠 |
[12:42] | Maybe. But even so, if you look at the numbers here, | 也许吧 但即便如此 看看支持率 |
[12:45] | this is doing real damage. | 这事杀伤力很大 |
[12:46] | The vote was always going to be close… | 投票结果本就接近 |
[12:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:49] | …things aren’t looking good for the First Lady. | 第一夫人的形势可不太好 |
[12:52] | – No, I understand, but– – Could her military remark be… | -我明白 但 -她对美军的言论会是 |
[12:54] | – It’s Mendoza. – …a slip of the tongue? | -门多萨来电 -口误吗 |
[12:56] | I appreciate your time, Senator. I hope you’ll reconsider. | 感谢您接听 参议员 希望您能再考虑 |
[13:00] | – He’s on now? – Yes. | -他在线吗 -没错 |
[13:02] | Turn that off? | 把电视关了 |
[13:04] | Senator, hi. Thank you for returning my call. | 参议员 感谢你回电 |
[13:07] | Sorry it took so long. I had a ton of interview requests. | 抱歉让你等这么久 我要处理一堆采访 |
[13:10] | I just wanted to apologize | 我想表示道歉 |
[13:12] | if I came across as disrespectful in any way. | 我今天无意失敬 |
[13:14] | That was wrong of me. | 我不该那么说 |
[13:15] | I know you didn’t mean it, Claire. | 我知道你是无心的 克莱尔 |
[13:16] | It’s just unfortunate how things are playing out. | 很不幸事情发展至此 |
[13:20] | I realize you can’t vote for me yourself, | 我知道你本人不能给我投票 |
[13:23] | but I was hoping that maybe | 但我希望也许 |
[13:24] | you would say something to the effect to– | 你可以帮我说些好话 |
[13:26] | What, to the press? | 什么 对媒体吗 |
[13:29] | – Or even privately, to your colleagues. – I can’t do that. | -或者私下里 对你同事 -不行 |
[13:32] | Senator, the vote should center on my merits, | 参议员 投票应该注重于我的优点 |
[13:34] | not a few moments where you and I took the gloves off. | 而不是你我剑拔弩张的个别瞬间 |
[13:37] | Well, I think that was telling, don’t you? | 我觉得这很能说明问题 |
[13:38] | How you behaved under pressure? | 你面对压力时的反应 |
[13:41] | Senator, you know you were taking out of context what I said. | 参议员 你知道你是在断章取义吧 |
[13:44] | Of course I was. I was trying to rile you up. | 知道 我故意惹怒你的 |
[13:46] | And I succeeded. | 我也成功了 |
[13:48] | I wish I hadn’t, | 我真后悔 |
[13:49] | because it’s gonna make things really tough for you. | 因为你现在的情况真的不乐观 |
[13:50] | But, if you can convince my | 但是如果你现在 |
[13:53] | colleagues to change their minds despite that… | 还能说服我的同事改变主意的话 |
[13:55] | why, you’d make a great Ambassador. | 你肯定能做个好大使的 |
[13:57] | – Thank you for your time, Senator. – Good luck, Claire. | -叨扰了 参议员 -好运 克莱尔 |
[14:02] | He’s a son of a bitch. | 真是个王八蛋 |
[14:05] | Let’s try Peterson next. | 试试彼得森 |
[14:07] | Approvals go up and down. | 支持率总会变化 |
[14:09] | We can’t allow ourselves to be held hostage by public opinion. | 我们不能被公众的想法左右 |
[14:12] | We’re being held hostage by the Republicans. | 是共和党在逼我们 |
[14:14] | We can’t beat them with you as the face of the party. Period. | 由你代表我党是击败不了他们的 就这样 |
[14:17] | Have you all really thought this through? | 你们真的考虑清楚了吗 |
[14:19] | I’m a sitting president. | 我是在任总统 |
[14:20] | But not an elected one. | 但不是民选的 |
[14:22] | But still, to abandon the incumbent, | 但就这么放弃在任者 |
[14:24] | and all the advantages that that entails? | 和其所代表的影响力吗 |
[14:26] | Which is the problem. We don’t see any advantages. | 问题就在这儿 你没什么影响力了 |
[14:30] | And if you were to come on board with us, | 如果你跟我们的路线走 |
[14:32] | if you were to announce that you’re not running, | 公开宣布你不参选 |
[14:34] | it wouldn’t seem as if we’re abandoning you. | 大家就不会觉得是我们抛弃了你 |
[14:36] | The party looks unified. | 党还是统一的 |
[14:39] | Bob Birch has been trying to do me in | 自从我强行通过教育法案 |
[14:40] | since I forced the Education Bill down his throat. | 鲍勃·博奇就一直计划着坑我一把 |
[14:43] | I think he’s using shaky logic to get you all on board | 他是在用站不住脚的道理说服你们 |
[14:46] | so he can carry out some personal vendetta. | 方便他向我寻仇 |
[14:49] | It was my idea. | 是我的主意 |
[14:52] | Not Bob’s. | 不是鲍勃的 |
[14:58] | I hope you work with us. | 希望你能跟我们合作 |
[15:00] | We meant it when we said it. | 我们说的是真心话 |
[15:03] | We would like for you to be a part of the conversation. | 我们希望听取你的意见 |
[15:20] | – Hello? – Hey, it’s me. | -喂 -是我 |
[15:24] | – I can’t hear you. – Hang on a second. | -我听不见 -等等 |
[15:33] | – Seth? – Yeah. | -赛斯吗 -对 |
[15:34] | I was just calling to check in. See how things are going. | 我就想问问你有没有事 |
[15:37] | Good. Things are going really good. | 没事 都挺好的 |
[15:38] | Hey, hold on one quick second. | 等一下 |
[15:48] | Listen, uh, I know | 我知道 |
[15:49] | you’re rolling out the AmWorks program soon. | 你们要推出《美就法》项目了 |
[15:51] | I’m sure Remy has a plan in place, | 雷米肯定已经有了计划 |
[15:53] | but I’ve been putting together a list. | 但我也列了个单子 |
[15:55] | Some key representatives | 关键议员 |
[15:56] | and what they might want in exchange for support. | 和他们可能开出的价码 |
[15:58] | Skeletons in the closet, that kind of thing. | 肮脏秘密什么的 |
[16:00] | Yeah, that’s on hold for the moment. | 那项法案现在搁置了 |
[16:04] | – You’re not rolling it out? – It’s just on hold. | -不推出了吗 -就是暂时搁置了 |
[16:08] | – Is something up? – No, everything’s fine. | -出什么事了吗 -没什么事 |
[16:10] | We’re focused on the summit next month with Russia. | 现在的重点是下周俄罗斯的峰会 |
[16:13] | But you’re good? You getting stronger? | 你还好吗 身体好起来了吗 |
[16:16] | – Yeah. – In good spirits? | -嗯 -精神呢 |
[16:18] | Never been better. | 好得不得了 |
[16:19] | I’ll email you my ideas. Let me know what he says. | 我发邮件给你 他的想法记得告诉我 |
[16:22] | – Will do. – Thanks. | -没问题 -谢谢 |
[16:28] | Senator, when we met in your office last week, | 参议员 上周在办公室见面时 |
[16:30] | we had a long, productive conversation. | 我们进行了一次很长很有成果的谈话 |
[16:32] | I can’t imagine ten seconds during the hearing would– | 我觉得听证会上的十秒说明不… |
[16:35] | Senator, may I call you back in five minutes? | 参议员先生 我五分钟后再打过去好吗 |
[16:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:46] | – Francis? – No luck. It was his idea. | -弗兰西斯 -不行 根本是他的主意 |
[16:50] | What are you going to do? | 你打算怎么做 |
[16:52] | Top 50 bundlers from last cycle. | 找上次竞选前50的资助人 |
[16:54] | I don’t need the leadership if I can get the money. | 控制了资金我就不必靠领导层了 |
[16:56] | – You? – Too early to tell. | -你呢 -还没准 |
[16:57] | Well, I’m here if you need me. | 我就在这儿 需要就来找我 |
[17:03] | I’ve always said that power is more important than money. | 我一直说权力比金钱重要 |
[17:06] | But when it comes to elections, money gives power… | 但竞选的时候 金钱才能让权力 |
[17:10] | well, a run for its money. | 有竞争力 |
[17:13] | It’s Francis Underwood. | 弗兰西斯·安德伍德 |
[17:24] | I thought you said he was handsome. | 你说他挺帅的来着 |
[17:27] | Sorry to interrupt. | 抱歉打扰了 |
[17:29] | Well, if she doesn’t receive a text with the com.funword.word “urgent,” | 如果她没收到说有”急事”的短信 |
[17:33] | it’s not an official date. | 那就算不上约会了 |
[17:35] | How are you? Alan Cooke. | 你好 艾伦·库克 |
[17:36] | – Remy Danton. – Nice to meet you. | -雷米·丹顿 -幸会 |
[17:39] | I’m just gonna go, uh… take a few calls. | 我去…打几个电话 |
[17:41] | There’s an espresso coming with your name on it, okay? | 我替你点了杯咖啡 |
[17:44] | Nice meeting you. | 再会 |
[17:51] | So here we are. | 说说吧 |
[17:53] | I wasn’t part of the decision. They told me ten minutes before. | 我没有参与 会面十分钟前他们才通知我 |
[17:55] | Who are they talking to? About running? | 他们都找谁谈竞选的事了 |
[17:57] | No one yet, as far as I can tell. | 据我所知还没有 |
[17:59] | There has to at least be a list. Even a mental one. | 总得有个名单 哪怕还没说出来 |
[18:02] | Some ideas. | 有些想法 |
[18:05] | We need you to find out. | 我们需要你查出来 |
[18:08] | You know, when Walker resigned, | 沃克辞职的时候 |
[18:10] | Frank’s president, you’re Chief of Staff. | 弗兰克就任总统 你是幕僚长 |
[18:13] | – But me? – You’re still in the leadership. | -我呢 -你还在领导层 |
[18:16] | – Assistant Whip. – It’s a bullshit title. | -助理党鞭 -就是扯淡 |
[18:19] | I’m out of the inner circle. | 我不在核心圈子里 |
[18:23] | What do you want? | 那你要什么 |
[18:25] | I want to be on the ticket. His VP. | 我要做他的副总统 |
[18:31] | All we want is a little information. | 我们只要一点点信息 |
[18:32] | What you’re asking is… disproportionate. | 你开的价 太高了吧 |
[18:38] | It’s repaying a debt. | 当做是还债了吧 |
[18:41] | A big one. I whipped the votes for impeachment. | 好大一笔债呢 弹劾法案是我搞定的 |
[18:43] | I should get to cash in on that. | 现在我要回报了 |
[18:45] | There’s no way he’ll go for this. | 他是不会同意的 |
[18:48] | Then there’s no reason for me to be your eyes and ears. | 那我也没必要做你们的眼线了 |
[18:54] | I’ll get back to you. | 回头联系你 |
[18:57] | During business hours. | 要在工作时间 |
[19:17] | No, Mark, we ran it in the White House screening room and I swear to God, | 不 马克 就在白宫的决策室 我发誓 |
[19:20] | when those jets crashed into one of our Seawolf subs, | 战斗机撞向海狼核潜艇的时候 |
[19:23] | the Joint Chiefs screamed. | 参联会都喊出来了 |
[19:26] | No, they didn’t want you to use it and certainly not for free. | 他们肯定不希望你用 更不会免费给你 |
[19:28] | David, I’m not just asking you for money, | 大卫 我不只是要钱 |
[19:30] | I’m asking you to be one of my campaign chairmen. | 我希望你做我的竞选主席 |
[19:32] | That buys you a lot more than a night in the Lincoln Bedroom. | 那可比在总统卧室睡一晚风光多了 |
[19:37] | Claire Underwood for Senator Hylbrook. | 克莱尔·安德伍德找海尔布鲁克参议员 |
[19:39] | I agree. We can never rely solely upon Security Counsel support. | 我同意 肯定不能只靠安全委员会的支持 |
[19:42] | Scott, we’re 18 months out. | 斯科特 还剩18个月了 |
[19:44] | Now, if you wanna be on the ground floor, | 你想参与进来 |
[19:45] | you got to shit or get off the pot. | 就别想占着茅坑不拉屎 |
[19:47] | The key is to provide leadership, to lead by example. | 关键是领导 做出榜样 |
[19:51] | I was hoping we could hit Maidstone for a quick eighteen. | 我还想着一起去梅德斯通打打高尔夫呢 |
[19:54] | No, I’m a terrible golfer. | 当然不 我打得可差了 |
[19:56] | Exactly, you’d have the pleasure of beating a president. | 是啊 你就可以打败总统了 |
[19:58] | Now wouldn’t that be a good cocktail story? | 以后跟人可有得讲了 |
[20:00] | I’ve spoken to almost every Republican in your committee, sir. | 我和您委员会里的共和党人差不多都谈过了 |
[20:03] | Yes, they’re taking their cue from you. | 他们说都听您的 |
[20:08] | Is there another number where I can reach him? | 还有别的号码可以联系上他吗 |
[20:11] | It’s important that we speak this evening. | 我今晚一定要跟他谈谈 |
[20:14] | Yes, anytime, no matter how late. | 是的 不管多晚 |
[20:17] | A little faith, Tom. That’s all I’m asking. | 汤姆 我只希望你多点信心 |
[20:20] | Oh, yes! I know, I don’t like being called “Ma’am” Either. | 是啊 我也不喜欢别人叫我女士 |
[20:24] | If I made every decision based on what makes people feel good, | 要是我做什么事都得哄大伙开心 |
[20:26] | I’d be a talk show host, not the president. | 那我就去主持脱口秀了 当什么总统 |
[20:28] | Well, I know Admiral Jennings is a good friend of yours, | 我知道詹宁斯上将是你的好朋友 |
[20:30] | – I can call him personally. – Don’t let fear drive you. | -我可以亲自打给他 -别被恐惧左右 |
[20:33] | That’s not how you run your business, is it? | 你的生意不是这么做出来的吧 |
[20:34] | I know you’ve been in my shoes, | 我知道你也曾被人曲解 |
[20:36] | and sound bites are not who we are. | 那种断章取义不是我们本意 |
[20:37] | Penny-wise and pound-foolish. | 那是省小钱吃大亏 |
[20:38] | I’m so sorry, Senator, did I wake you? | 抱歉 参议员 吵醒你了吗 |
[20:42] | Yes, no, I’ll try back again tomorrow. | 好的 没事 我明天再挂 |
[20:44] | I can’t fault you for being shortsighted. | 你目光短浅我不怪你 |
[20:46] | I hope you won’t fault me for having a long memory. | 但我记性好你也别怪我 |
[20:49] | Good night! | 晚安 |
[20:54] | I’m waking people up now. I’ll start again in the morning. | 已经有人睡了 我明早再试 |
[20:59] | – How’s it looking? – I had to flip a coin? I don’t know. | -怎么样 -一点也说不准 |
[21:03] | – You? – Not a single backer yet. | -你呢 -还没人支持我 |
[21:06] | – Not one? – California’s still awake. | -一个都没有吗 -加州那边还早 |
[21:08] | Maybe I’ll have better luck out west. | 也许我在西海岸运气能好点 |
[21:10] | I’m going for a run. I need to do something. | 我出去跑一圈 我得做点什么 |
[21:12] | – It’s late. – Well, I’m too restless. | -太晚了 -我闲不下来了 |
[21:14] | Well, I’ll be here, singing for my supper. | 那我一个人在这儿吃晚饭了 |
[21:24] | It’s humiliating to have to beg from some kid who was on Facebook | 求个脸书上的毛头小子 |
[21:26] | before his testicles descended, but that’s– | 实在丢人 但那是… |
[21:29] | Derrick, Francis Underwood. Do you have a few minutes? | 德里克 弗兰西斯·安德伍德 有时间吗 |
[21:34] | I’ll be running along the Mall tonight. | 我绕着国家广场跑 |
[21:36] | That requires a full detail. | 那要出动全套安保 |
[21:38] | How soon can you be ready? | 你们多久能准备好 |
[21:39] | We’d far prefer you ran on the track. | 我们更希望您在附近跑 |
[21:42] | I’ll be running along the Mall. | 我去国家广场跑 |
[21:43] | Yes, ma’am. We’re going to need the First Lady’s detail, ASAP. | 好的 夫人 第一夫人安保尽快出动 |
[21:50] | – This is off the record. – Agreed. | -不可公开 -可以 |
[21:54] | You’ve called my office every day | 过去六个月 |
[21:56] | for the last six months with one question. | 你一直给我办公室打电话 问同一个问题 |
[21:58] | I call everyone in the leadership. | 领导层的人我都联系过 |
[22:00] | I get the same non-answer from all of you: | 得到的都是同一套说辞 |
[22:02] | “Frank Underwood is our president…” | “弗兰克·安德伍德是现任总统” |
[22:04] | He has our undivided support. | 我们是他坚实的后盾 |
[22:06] | Birch slipped up once. | 博奇有次说错了 |
[22:07] | He said “unwavering” instead of “undivided.” | 他说”不可动摇”不是”坚实” |
[22:10] | I wanted to drug-test him. | 我还以为他嗑药了 |
[22:12] | There was a meeting this morning in the White House. | 今早在白宫有过一次会面 |
[22:15] | I was there on Pebble Beach when you came out. | 你们出来时我看到了 |
[22:17] | It lasted four and a half minutes. | 一共就谈了四分半 |
[22:19] | – You were in there for an hour. – We were inside for an hour. | -你们进去了一个小时 -是待了一个小时 |
[22:22] | Doesn’t mean the meeting lasted that long. | 但不代表就谈了一个小时 |
[22:25] | What happened? Why so short? | 发生什么了 为什么这么快 |
[22:30] | You’re the Pulitzer finalist. | 你入围过普利策奖呢 |
[22:32] | America Works? | 《美国就业法案》吗 |
[22:35] | Is that why the president went to the Capitol this afternoon? | 总统下午是为了这个去的国会山吗 |
[22:37] | No one from the White House would say. | 白宫的人都不松口 |
[22:44] | Have a good night. | 晚安 |
[22:48] | You chose me. What’s your play? | 你选了我 你想干什么 |
[22:51] | When you write about presidents, people pay attention. | 只要是写总统的 人们都会关注 |
[25:08] | It’ll come down to the wire. | 得最后定胜负了 |
[25:11] | I’m confident, but I don’t want to leave anything to chance. | 我有信心 但我也不希望有什么事听天由命 |
[25:15] | Well, according to Erikson, I have 47 votes as of this morning. | 据艾瑞克森的消息 我今早有47票了 |
[25:20] | Well, I know, Senator, but that’s not enough. | 我知道 参议员 但那还不够 |
[25:22] | I need yours. | 我还需要您的票 |
[25:34] | I have every intention of running for president. | 我绝对是要竞选总统的 |
[25:38] | I need to know you two are with me. | 我得确定你们是支持我的 |
[25:40] | If you have any doubts, now’s the time to let me know. | 有任何疑虑 就现在说出来 |
[25:51] | Nancy, wipe the schedule clean. | 南茜 清空时间表 |
[25:53] | Yes, everything. | 全推掉 |
[25:55] | We don’t leave this office until we have a plan. | 不讨论出个计划就不出去 |
[26:00] | Ma’am? The Easter Egg Roll we were scheduled for? | 夫人 复活节滚彩蛋游戏的事 |
[26:03] | – Right. – If this is a bad time… | -是啊 -如果不方便… |
[26:05] | No, that’s fine. Please, come in. | 没什么 进来吧 |
[26:08] | Hello? | 你好 |
[26:09] | Yes… Claire Underwood. He’s expecting my call. | 是的 克莱尔·安德伍德 他在等我电话 |
[26:13] | Hi, Sheila. They’re beautiful. | 你好 希拉 真美 |
[26:15] | Would you mind setting them up, please? | 摆一下好吗 |
[26:16] | I have a couple more calls to make. | 我还要打几个电话 |
[26:19] | Hello, Senator. Yes, I’m well. How are you? | 参议员 我挺好 您好吗 |
[26:25] | The nomination of Claire Underwood, of Washington DC, | 提名华盛顿特区克莱尔·安德伍德 |
[26:28] | to be the Representative of | 担任美利坚合众国 |
[26:29] | the United States of America to the United Nations. | 驻联合国代表 |
[26:32] | Yeas and nays have been ordered and the clerk will call the roll. | 请听书记官喊名字 投赞成和反对 |
[26:36] | – Mr. Abner. – Yea. | -阿博纳先生 -赞成 |
[26:39] | Mr. Braun. | 博朗先生 |
[26:41] | Mr. Bray. | 布雷先生 |
[26:44] | – This one’s a little too pink. – Girls like pink. | -这个太粉了 -小姑娘都喜欢粉色 |
[26:47] | This is more than pink. It’s neon. | 这可不止是粉色了 几乎是霓虹色了 |
[26:50] | – Uh, I’m choosing four? – Yes, ma’am. | -我要选四个吗 -是的 夫人 |
[26:52] | – Willa? – Up by two: 48 to 46. | -薇拉 -领先两票 48对46 |
[26:55] | – Ma’am, we can finish up later. – No. | -夫人 我们可以稍后再做 -不用 |
[26:57] | – Uh, what’s next? – The commemoratives. | -下面呢 -纪念彩蛋 |
[27:00] | These are really special. | 都很特别 |
[27:02] | A black egg? | 黑蛋吗 |
[27:03] | – Yes, with patriotic tipping. – It’s still a black egg. | -有爱国元素点缀 -那也是黑蛋 |
[27:06] | Engraved with POTUS and FLOTUS signatures. | 刻着美国总统与第一夫人的签名 |
[27:08] | Ma’am? Final tally: 52 to 48. | 夫人 最后结果 52对48 |
[27:12] | Against. | 反对占多 |
[27:20] | – The press? – In the briefing room. | -媒体呢 -在通气室 |
[27:24] | I’ll just be a few minutes. Would you mind waiting? | 我就回来 稍等一下好吗 |
[27:27] | Not at all, ma’am. | 当然 夫人 |
[27:41] | I just heard. | 我听说了 |
[27:44] | I’m so sorry. | 真遗憾 |
[27:46] | The press is waiting. | 媒体等着呢 |
[27:47] | Well, they can wait. | 他们等去吧 |
[27:49] | Do you want me to come with you? | 要我陪你去吗 |
[27:50] | No. I just want to get it over with. | 不用 我就想尽快了事 |
[27:55] | Claire. You– | 克莱尔 你… |
[28:06] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[28:07] | Naturally, I’m disappointed | 参议院没有通过我的提名 |
[28:09] | that the Senate did not confirm my nomination today. | 我自然很失望 |
[28:13] | But I’m very grateful to have been afforded the opportunity. | 但能得到这个机会 我已经很感激 |
[28:17] | I’d be remiss if I did not thank my husband | 我自然要谢谢我的丈夫 |
[28:19] | for all the faith and trust he placed in me. | 感谢他对我的支持与信任 |
[28:22] | He’s always supported me in achieving my goals. | 他一向支持我实现梦想 |
[28:26] | I look forward to continued service as First Lady. | 我期待继续履行第一夫人的职责 |
[28:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[28:47] | Um, let’s go with the… green, the blue, and the cream. | 选绿的 蓝的 和米色的吧 |
[28:51] | And for the rare one? The Golden Ticket, so to speak? | 纪念彩蛋呢 可以说是金券 |
[28:55] | Red. That one’s beautiful. | 红的 红的好看 |
[28:58] | Thank you. Excuse me, please? | 谢谢 我先走了 |
[29:24] | You ever try to do this? | 你试过吗 |
[29:27] | Balance an egg? | 让蛋立住 |
[29:31] | We used to do this as kids. | 我们小时候常玩 |
[29:42] | You can’t change the laws of physics, can you? | 物理法则是没法改的吧 |
[29:58] | I was wrong. It’s too hard. | 我错了 太难了 |
[30:02] | Sir? | 先生 |
[30:03] | Fighting the leadership, raising money. | 对抗领导层 筹集竞选资金 |
[30:06] | We can’t get them to do what they’re dead set against doing. | 不能强迫他们做极不情愿的事 |
[30:08] | We’d need six months just to get them back to square one. | 现在是负分 要拉到零都需要六个月 |
[30:22] | We have to reverse our thinking. | 得逆向思维 |
[30:28] | When the wind’s blowing at gale force, | 当强风袭来的时候 |
[30:31] | there’s no point in sailing against it. | 没有必要逆风航行 |
[30:36] | What do you have in mind? | 您有什么主意 |
[31:07] | The White House Counsel’s office, please. | 请接白宫法律顾问办公室 |
[31:09] | I don’t care about their schedules. | 我不管他们有什么安排 |
[31:10] | If not today, tomorrow morning. | 今天凑不齐那就明天早上 |
[31:12] | Should I invite Jackie, too? | 我们还请杰姬来吗 |
[31:13] | Well, she qualifies as leadership. | 她毕竟还算是领导层里的 |
[31:15] | – What about her ask? – Stall her for now. | -那她的条件呢 -先拖着 |
[31:17] | Let’s see how the meeting goes. | 看看会面怎样再说 |
[31:19] | I want you to write the speech, every com.funword.word. | 你给我写份讲稿 要字斟句酌 |
[31:21] | – Yes, sir. – And no leaks. | -好的 先生 -不得外泄 |
[31:23] | You’ll have a draft in three hours. | 三小时内给您草稿 |
[31:26] | And, sir… Doug emailed me a lobbying strategy for AmWorks. | 另外 道格给我发了份《美就法》的游说策略 |
[31:30] | – Do you want to look at it? – Of his own accord? | -您要看一看吗 -他自己写的吗 |
[31:31] | – You didn’t tell him? – No, I didn’t say a com.funword.word. | -你没告诉他吧 -我什么都没说 |
[31:33] | It must be what he gathered from watching the news. | 肯定是他看新闻自己琢磨出来的 |
[31:35] | – How is he? – Uh, Doug seems fine. | -他怎样了 -道格听起来还行 |
[31:38] | I’ve been calling him, like you asked. | 按您的要求 我一直在给他打电话 |
[31:41] | – But he seems all right? – Well, he tells me things are good, | -但他看起来如何 -他告诉我一切都好 |
[31:43] | although I don’t think he’d admit it if they weren’t. | 不过我估计就算不好他也不会说的 |
[31:46] | Why don’t you stop by from time to time, since I can’t. | 不如你抽空去看看他 我抽不出身 |
[31:48] | – See him in person. – Yes, sir. | -要亲眼见到他 -好的 先生 |
[31:50] | And send me his email. | 把他的策略转给我 |
[32:02] | Claire? | 克莱尔 |
[32:08] | I’ll be in my study if you need me. | 如果你找我 我就在书房 |
[32:16] | What’re you working on? | 你忙什么呢 |
[32:18] | – Brought you a coffee. – My savior. | -给你带了杯咖啡 -你可救了我的命了 |
[32:21] | The leadership meeting yesterday morning. | 党领导层昨天开了个会 |
[32:23] | It lasted four and a half minutes. | 只持续了四分半 |
[32:25] | Where’d you hear that? | 你从哪听说的 |
[32:26] | That’s not long enough to reject a major domestic agenda. | 这么重大的内政议题不可能这么快就否了 |
[32:30] | I wasn’t in the meeting. I don’t know how long it lasted. | 我又没出席 我怎么知道会开了多久 |
[32:32] | – Something went down. – If you say so. | -出了什么事 -随你怎么说了 |
[32:35] | Uh, I didn’t hear anything about it. | 反正我是什么都没听说 |
[32:38] | Could’ve been the president was called away. | 没准是总统有急事先走了 |
[32:40] | – That happens all the time. – Not this time. | -经常这样 -这次不是 |
[32:43] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[32:45] | Clearly, I have a source that knows more than you. | 显然我有个知道的比你多的消息源 |
[32:48] | Most sources do. At least they pretend they do. | 大多数消息源都这样 至少是假装这样 |
[32:52] | Thanks for the coffee. | 多谢你的咖啡 |
[32:55] | Two sugars next time. I’ll remember that. | 加两包糖 我下次会记得的 |
[33:06] | You talked to Ayla Sayyad. | 你和艾拉·萨伊德谈过了 |
[33:07] | I can either be an asset or a liability. | 我既可以帮忙也可以帮倒忙 |
[33:10] | You think this puts you on the ticket now? | 你以为这样就能保你成为竞选搭档了吗 |
[33:12] | Not if you tell him. | 你去告密的话自然不会了 |
[33:13] | But the smart move would be to advocate on my behalf. | 不过比较聪明的选择是替我说好话 |
[33:16] | Don’t strong-arm me, Jackie. | 别逼我 杰姬 |
[33:17] | You’re the man in the middle. Who else would I strong-arm? | 你是中间人 不逼你逼谁 |
[33:20] | I want to be on your team, Remy. | 我想成为你们的一员 雷米 |
[33:22] | We do well when we’re on the same team. | 我们合作的时候结果一向不错 |
[33:28] | You have more calls? | 你还有别的电话吗 |
[33:31] | No. I’m done. | 没有 忙完了 |
[33:36] | – Who spoke to her? – I have no idea, sir. | -谁向她泄密了 -我不知道 先生 |
[33:38] | – Well, it’s your job to know. – Things are moving fast. | -你的工作就是知道 -事情发展太快 |
[33:41] | I’m just trying to stay ahead of them. | 我只想尽力控制局面 |
[33:42] | Well, we need to move faster. Has the meeting been set? | 我们动作得再快点 会面定下来了吗 |
[33:44] | Eight AM tomorrow. I just heard back from Birch’s office. | 明早8点 博奇的办公室刚给我回了话 |
[33:47] | Good. Let’s have the networks ready to go live by nine. | 很好 联系媒体准备好9点直播 |
[33:49] | One more thing. Jackie. | 还有个问题 杰姬 |
[33:52] | I think you should decide sooner rather than later. | 我觉得你最好尽快做决定 |
[33:54] | If we’re gonna go this route, | 如果我们走这条路 |
[33:55] | we need every ally we can get. | 就得争取尽可能多的友军 |
[33:56] | After the meeting. We’ll discuss then. | 等开完会 我们再谈 |
[34:12] | You’ve emerged. | 你起来了啊 |
[34:17] | I took a nap. Last night was… I didn’t get much sleep. | 我小睡了一觉 昨晚我都没怎么睡 |
[34:21] | Me, neither. | 我也是 |
[34:23] | We’re gonna find something for you. | 我们肯定会给你找个职位的 |
[34:25] | Some other position, or something as First Lady, I promise. | 其它的职位 或作为第一夫人的职责 我保证 |
[34:30] | I know. | 我知道 |
[34:33] | – What are you doing up? – I’ve got to go over my speech. | -你不睡做什么 -我在忙我的演说 |
[34:35] | It’s happening tomorrow night. | 我准备明晚发表演讲 |
[34:37] | What speech? | 什么演讲 |
[34:51] | It’s premature, isn’t it? | 有点太急了 不是吗 |
[34:52] | Read on. | 读下去 |
[35:37] | Yes? | 好吗 |
[35:40] | Yes. | 好 |
[35:47] | Thank you. Please. | 谢谢 请坐 |
[35:54] | I put a great deal of thought into what you’ve all asked of me. | 你们的请求 我想了很多 |
[35:58] | I challenged myself to keep an open mind. | 我让自己尽量保持开放的态度 |
[36:01] | And my decision is: I will not run for president. | 而我的决定是 我将不参选下任总统 |
[36:06] | Look, they’re thinking it’s too good to be true, and it is. | 他们觉得这好的不真实 也的确不是真的 |
[36:09] | I lied in the Oval Office before. | 我之前在椭圆办公室撒过谎 |
[36:11] | I didn’t want to take the chance this time. | 这次不想再触霉头 |
[36:12] | It’s too big a deal to jinx myself. | 万一真说中了可不好 |
[36:15] | At nine o’clock tonight, | 今晚9点 |
[36:16] | I will announce to the nation my decision. | 我就向全国宣布我的决定 |
[36:18] | What’s the catch? | 你什么目的 |
[36:22] | I wanted us to meet here in this room for a reason. | 我要大家来这里见面是有原因的 |
[36:26] | For the past five months, | 过去五个月 |
[36:27] | my team has sat at this very table, developing America Works. | 我的团队就坐在这儿 起草《美国就业法案》 |
[36:31] | You know how much the program means to me, | 你们知道这项目对我意义重大 |
[36:33] | and I want it to mean as much to you. | 我希望你们也能像我一样重视 |
[36:35] | – So there is a catch. – No, an opportunity. | -那你是有目的的了 -不 是机遇 |
[36:38] | Look, we all know the– | 我们都知道 |
[36:41] | All right, let’s just say for… argument’s sake | 单纯地打个比方 |
[36:43] | that this table here | 这张桌子 |
[36:45] | represents the next year and a half, all right? | 就是未来一年半 |
[36:47] | So, this is us right now. | 我们在这儿 |
[36:50] | And down there at the end, that’s the election. | 那边的尽头是大选 |
[36:52] | Now, if I did run, I’d spend the next few months fundraising. | 我要是决定竞选 接下来几个月我就得筹款 |
[36:56] | And then somewhere around here, I’d formally announce. | 到这时左右 我要正式宣布 |
[36:59] | And then even if I did win the nomination, | 哪怕我赢了党内竞选 |
[37:01] | say, somewhere around here, | 比如说在这个时候 |
[37:03] | I’d start to have to face off | 我就得面对 |
[37:04] | with a Republican challenger, probably Mendoza. | 共和党的对手 很可能是门多萨 |
[37:06] | And then things would get brutal. | 那可就是真刀真枪了 |
[37:09] | Daily, daily events. | 每天都得去做活动 |
[37:11] | Fending off attacks. | 防御对手的进攻 |
[37:13] | Launching my own. | 同时进攻对手 |
[37:14] | And… you’re right. | 你们说得对 |
[37:17] | In the end… | 最后… |
[37:19] | …I’d probably lose. | …我可能会输 |
[37:22] | I would spend 18 months campaigning, | 我会花18个月的时间竞选 |
[37:26] | which would leave no time to govern. | 就没有时间治国了 |
[37:31] | But you have opened my eyes. | 你们让我看清了局势 |
[37:34] | I feel liberated. | 解放了思想 |
[37:36] | I want to spend these next 18 months dedicated to one thing: | 接下来的18个月我想专注一件事 |
[37:40] | America Works. But I need your help to do it. | 《美国就业法案》 但我需要你们的帮助 |
[37:44] | You’re putting an awfully big price tag on this, Mr. President. | 你开的价码有点高啊 总统先生 |
[37:46] | No, you’ve put an awfully big price tag on this. | 不 是你们开了高额价码 |
[37:49] | You’re asking me to be a placeholder for 18 months | 你们要我占18个月的位子 |
[37:52] | and I intend to govern. | 而我想治国 |
[37:54] | And if America Works succeeds, | 如果《美国就业法案》成功了 |
[37:56] | then whoever you choose to run in 2016 | 那不管16年谁来竞选 |
[37:58] | not only has the backing of a united party, | 都会有全党的支持 |
[38:01] | but a formidable legacy. | 更会有一笔可贵的遗产 |
[38:03] | But Social Security? Benefits. Entitlements. | 社会保障呢 社会福利呢 |
[38:06] | We don’t want to present a fresh face | 我们可不想推选个新人 |
[38:08] | only to shoot ourselves in the foot. | 反过来坑了自己 |
[38:10] | Then let’s not pretend to unite the party, | 那就别假装全党统一了 |
[38:12] | let’s unite the party behind this legislation. | 让全党统一支持这项法案吧 |
[38:15] | We’ll never get it past the Republicans. | 肯定过不了共和党那关 |
[38:17] | We are not here to negotiate! | 我们不是来谈判的 |
[38:19] | You want forward-thinking, Bob? Then think forward. | 你要放眼未来吗 鲍勃 快放眼看啊 |
[38:22] | You want a fresh face for 2016? You wanna work together? | 想16年推举个新人吗 想通力合作吗 |
[38:26] | Then present my program to Congress. | 把我的法案递交给国会吧 |
[38:28] | And if it dies there, so be it. | 如果通不过 那也没办法 |
[38:30] | But I want us to fucking try! | 但我们至少他妈该试一下 |
[38:43] | I am prepared to vacate this chair. | 我打算让位了 |
[38:46] | Meet me halfway. | 你们也妥协一下 |
[38:48] | Any moment now, | 很快 |
[38:49] | the president will be addressing the nation live from the East Room. | 总统就将在东厅向全国发表直播讲话 |
[38:53] | The White House has remained silent | 关于总统讲话的内容 |
[38:54] | on the subject of the president’s speech, | 白宫一直闭口不谈 |
[38:56] | but sources in Congress say it will focus on the jobs initiative | 但国会有消息称 是关于近几个月来 |
[39:00] | he’s been planning to unveil for several months. | 总统一直在筹备的就业法案 |
[39:02] | The program, dubbed America Works, | 该法案被称作《美国就业法案》 |
[39:04] | was developed in secret. | 一直在秘密起草中 |
[39:06] | Any details are the by-product of speculation, | 具体细节尚不明了 |
[39:09] | but sources suggest it will have elements | 但有消息称 该法案 |
[39:11] | from both liberal and conservative agendas. | 既有激进的内容 又有保守的成分 |
[39:13] | What remains to be seen | 而共和党控制的国会 |
[39:15] | is whether a Republican-controlled Congress | 会不会通过该法案 |
[39:17] | will cooperate in pushing the program forward. | 就拭目以待了 |
[39:20] | The White House has faced significant opposition from the GOP | 自本届国会成立以来 共和党一直 |
[39:23] | since Congress began its current session, | 激烈反对白宫 |
[39:25] | and many speculate | 很多人也推测 |
[39:26] | that the president’s liberal application of veto power | 总统肆意行使否决权 |
[39:29] | may leave congressional leaders disinclined | 可能会导致国会高层 |
[39:31] | to support this new jobs program. | 不愿支持他的法案 |
[39:33] | Additionally, many Democratic supporters of President Underwood, | 另外 自党鞭时期就支持安德伍德总统的 |
[39:37] | from his days as House Majority Whip, | 部分民主党人士 |
[39:39] | were voted out of office in November, | 也在去年11月离开了国会 |
[39:41] | diminishing his personal influence over legislators. | 让总统在立法上的影响力进一步降低 |
[39:45] | Low approval ratings are a continuing concern | 安德伍德政府的低支持率 |
[39:48] | for the Underwood administration. | 一直是个问题 |
[39:50] | And congressional sources suggest | 国会内有消息称 |
[39:52] | the choice to tackle unemployment | 处理失业问题 |
[39:53] | may be part of a campaign strategy for 2016. | 也许正是16年大选的策略 |
[39:58] | Recent polls indicate that | 最近有民调显示 |
[39:59] | less than one third of all Americans say they would | 不到三分之一美国人 |
[40:02] | consider voting for President Underwood… | 愿考虑投给安德伍德总统 |
[40:06] | 结束之后 我可以过去吗 | |
[40:20] | …job growth has remained | …提高就业率仍是 |
[40:21] | a popular platform in national elections, | 总统竞选的热门话题 |
[40:24] | and if today’s announcement is received well, | 如果今天的讲话能受好评 |
[40:27] | President Underwood’s | 安德伍德总统的 |
[40:28] | campaign certainly has an opportunity to benefit. | 竞选肯定有机会因此受益 |
[40:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:37] | Sir, we’re ready for you in five seconds. | 先生 我们五秒后开始 |
[40:45] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[40:47] | For too long, we in Washington have been lying to you. | 一直以来 我们华盛顿的人都没说实话 |
[40:50] | We say we’re here to serve you, | 我们说为人民服务 |
[40:52] | when in fact, we’re serving ourselves. | 但实际上 我们却自私自利 |
[40:55] | And why? We are driven by our own desire to get reelected. | 为什么 因为我们只想着连任 |
[41:00] | Our need to stay in power eclipses our duty to govern. | 我们渴望继续执政而忽视了治国之职 |
[41:04] | That ends tonight. | 今晚 这到此为止 |
[41:07] | Tonight, I give you the truth. | 今晚 我告诉你们实话 |
[41:10] | And the truth is this: | 实话就是 |
[41:13] | The American dream has failed you. | 美国梦让你们失望了 |
[41:16] | Work hard? Play by the rules? You aren’t guaranteed success. | 努力工作 遵守规则 不保证你们能成功 |
[41:21] | Your children will not have a better life than you did. | 你们孩子的生活不会比你们好 |
[41:24] | Ten million of you can’t even get a job, | 一千万美国人非常想 |
[41:27] | even though you desperately want one. | 找工作却找不到 |
[41:29] | We’ve been crippled by Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, | 我们被社保 医保 医疗补助 社会福利 |
[41:34] | by welfare, by entitlements. | 所牵绊 |
[41:37] | And that is the root of the problem: entitlements. | 这才是问题的根源 福利 |
[41:42] | Let me be clear. You are entitled to nothing. | 我说明白了 没有天生的福利 |
[41:49] | You are entitled to nothing. | 没有天生的福利 |
[41:54] | America was built on the spirit of industry. | 美国的根基是勤劳精神 |
[41:57] | You build your future. It isn’t handed to you. | 未来靠自己努力 而非靠人施予 |
[42:00] | And the problem with Washington | 华盛顿的问题 |
[42:02] | is that we haven’t given you the tools to build it. | 在于没有给你们打造生活的工具 |
[42:05] | The only way for us to serve you | 政府为人民服务的唯一办法 |
[42:07] | is to give you the means to serve yourselves. | 就是想办法让你们服务自己 |
[42:11] | Well, that’s exactly what I intend to do. | 这就是我想要做的 |
[42:13] | Not handouts. Jobs. | 不施舍 而是给工作 |
[42:16] | Real paying jobs. | 实实在在的工作 |
[42:19] | In the next few weeks, the Democratic leadership | 在未来几周 民主党领导人 |
[42:22] | will introduce a program called “America Works.” | 会提出一个叫《美国就业法案》的项目 |
[42:25] | Its goal is simple: | 其目的很简单 |
[42:27] | to put the ten million Americans who are unemployed to work. | 让一千万没有工作的美国人有工作 |
[42:32] | All of them. If you want a job, you get one. | 每一个想工作的人都会有工作 |
[42:37] | The cost is five hundred billion dollars. | 这需要五千亿美元 |
[42:40] | Now, that’s a lot of money. | 这个数目很庞大 |
[42:42] | To pay for it, we’ll need to rethink Social Security, | 为了这笔钱 我们得完全重新思考 |
[42:45] | healthcare and benefits from the ground up. | 社保 医保和福利政策 |
[42:48] | We can’t maintain the welfare state as we know it. | 我们不能维持现有的福利政策 |
[42:52] | Now, that’s not a popular thing to say. | 这么说很不讨人喜欢 |
[42:55] | Anyone running for office wouldn’t dare utter those words. | 任何竞选者都不会说这些话 |
[42:58] | Every advisor and consultant and staff member | 每一个幕僚 顾问和下属 |
[43:00] | would beg a presidential candidate not to say them. | 都不希望总统候选人说这种话 |
[43:04] | But I can say them. | 但我可以说 |
[43:06] | Because I will not be seeking | 因为2016年 |
[43:08] | the Democratic nomination in 2016. | 我将不参与总统竞选 |
[43:14] | Candidates are cautious. | 候选人都谨言慎行 |
[43:17] | They must equivocate. They dodge and tiptoe. | 他们含糊其辞 回避周旋 小心翼翼 |
[43:20] | But I’d rather leave this office having accomplished something of value | 但我更愿离开这间办公室时 能完成有价值的事 |
[43:24] | than secure another four years having done nothing at all. | 而不是为了再任四年而无所作为 |
[43:29] | Franklin Delano Roosevelt ushered in an era of hope and progress | 富兰克林·德拉诺·罗斯福提出新政 |
[43:33] | when he proposed the New Deal. | 让美国走向希望和进步的时代 |
[43:35] | And at the time, his reforms were considered radical. | 当时 他的改革被认为很激进 |
[43:39] | But he once said, “This country demands bold, | 但他说 “这个国家需要进行 |
[43:43] | persistent experimentation. | 大胆而执着的实验 |
[43:45] | It is common sense to take a method and try it. | 想办法 试一试很正常 |
[43:49] | And if it fails, admit it frankly and try another. | 如果失败了 坦白承认 然后重新来过 |
[43:52] | But above all, try something.” | 但重要的 是要尝试” |
[43:56] | Roosevelt would have understood better than anyone | 罗斯福比谁都明白 |
[43:58] | the necessity for trying something different. | 尝试特别办法的必要性 |
[44:01] | The New Deal succeeded for many years, | 新政成功了那么多年 |
[44:04] | but we must now try something newer before it fails us. | 但在新政失效前 我们得尝试更新的东西 |
[44:08] | If America Works succeeds, | 如果《美国就业法案》成功了 |
[44:10] | we will reinvent the American dream. | 我们将彻底改造美国梦 |
[44:13] | If we fail in our attempt, | 如果我们的尝试失败 |
[44:15] | we will admit it frankly and try another. | 我们会坦白承认 然后重新来过 |
[44:18] | But above all, we must try something. | 但重要的 是要尝试 |
[44:24] | Thank you, and God Bless the United States of America. | 谢谢 天佑美利坚合众国 |
[44:44] | It’s two in the morning. | 现在是凌晨2点 |
[44:46] | Yeah, I just left the White House. | 是啊 我刚离开白宫 |
[44:48] | The press conference, phone calls, emails, | 新闻发布会 电话 邮件 |
[44:50] | the rest can wait until tomorrow. | 其它的明天再说 |
[44:52] | – Were you asleep? – No. | -你睡了吗 -还没 |
[44:56] | This is a cool place. | 这地方不错 |
[44:58] | How much is your rent? | 租金多少 |
[45:02] | I thought you said AmWorks was on hold. | 你不是说《美就法》暂停了吗 |
[45:04] | Well, it was and then it wasn’t. | 当时确实是 现在不是了 |
[45:06] | The leadership didn’t want him to run. | 领导层不想让他参选 |
[45:09] | Who told you that? | 谁告诉你的 |
[45:10] | Nobody. But I figure it’s the only reason he’d make that speech. | 没人 但我猜这是他那番讲话的唯一理由 |
[45:14] | – He’s still gonna run though, isn’t he? – He says he’s not. | -但他仍会参加竞选吧 -他说不会 |
[45:18] | I know him better than you ever will, Seth. | 我永远都比你更了解他 赛斯 |
[45:20] | There’s no way he doesn’t run. | 他不可能不参选 |
[45:24] | Is that why you’re here? Because he needs my help now? | 这是你来的原因吗 因为他需要我帮他 |
[45:28] | No, I just– I wanted to check up with you in person this time. | 不 我就是想亲自来看看你的状况 |
[45:34] | – He asked you to. – Yes. | -是他要你来的 -是 |
[45:39] | I did send him your email, though. | 不过我把你的邮件发给他了 |
[45:41] | – What did he say? – I’m not sure if he’s read it. | -他说什么 -我不确定他看过没 |
[45:51] | You should probably get some sleep, huh? | 你是不是该睡觉了 |
[45:55] | Big day for the press team tomorrow. | 明天可是新闻团队的大日子 |
[46:01] | You can report back. Alive and well. | 你可以回禀说我活得好好的 |
[46:05] | Is it okay if I stop by now and then? | 我时不时来看你一眼可以吗 |
[46:08] | Do I have a choice? | 我有的选吗 |
[46:10] | I don’t, but I can’t force you to open the door. | 我没有 但是我又不能逼你开门 |
[46:14] | Whatever you want. | 随便你了 |
[46:17] | Thanks. | 多谢 |
[46:19] | I’ll see you soon. | 再见 |
[47:14] | Ms. Dunbar. | 邓巴女士 |
[47:15] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[47:17] | I had a lot on my mind when we last spoke. | 上次我们谈话时我心事重重 |
[47:20] | – The speech last night, it was– – Yes, it was a big decision | -昨晚的演讲 -是一个重大决定 |
[47:22] | and I apologize if I was distracted. | 如果我之前显得心不在焉 我很抱歉 |
[47:24] | – Not at all, sir. – So, the drone strike case. | -没事的 -来谈谈无人机袭击案 |
[47:27] | You’ve been pursuing the State secrets defense. | 你一直在走国家机密的抗辩策略 |
[47:30] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[47:32] | – Heather– May I call you Heather? – Please. | -希瑟 我能这样称呼你吗 -请便 |
[47:36] | The American people are sick of secrets. | 美国人民反感秘密 |
[47:38] | That’s the point I was trying to make last night. | 这就是我昨晚竭力想说明的 |
[47:41] | I promised the truth, and now we’re going to deliver. | 我承诺给大家真相 现在就要履行诺言 |
[47:44] | What truth is that, sir? | 是什么真相 先生 |
[47:46] | A man had his legs blown off. An American citizen. | 一名美国公民被炸断了腿 |
[47:48] | We’re going to own up to that. | 我们要承认 |
[47:49] | We’re going to admit that the CIA conducted the drone strike | 承认是中情局实施了那次无人机袭击 |
[47:52] | – and explain the reasons why. – That information is classified. | -并且解释原因 -这些信息是机密 |
[47:56] | Not anymore. | 不再是了 |
[47:57] | You have my permission to make the classified brief public. | 我准许你 公开机密 |
[48:01] | Sir, that is not a sound legal approach. | 先生 这么做在法律上不合理 |
[48:04] | But it’s what the country needs. | 但这正是这个国家所需要的 |
[48:05] | We’re not appealing to the country. | 我们不是在向国家抗辩 |
[48:06] | – We’re appealing to nine justices. – Wrong. | -而是九个大法官 -错 |
[48:08] | We’re appealing to both by taking responsibility. | 我们要承担责任 一石二鸟地博得好感 |
[48:12] | Yes, a man was maimed, his family members were killed. | 是 有人被炸残 他家人被杀 |
[48:15] | But hundreds, perhaps thousands of lives were saved as a result. | 但因此 成百上千的生命得以获救 |
[48:19] | I understand the emotional logic, | 我明白这种情感逻辑 |
[48:21] | – but we can’t– – You sat right there and told me | -但我们不能… -你坐在那儿对我说 |
[48:23] | – even Supreme Court justices have hearts. – Yes, but– | -就连最高法院法官也会心软 -对 但 |
[48:26] | Far be it from me to tell you how to do your job. | 我不能告诉你怎么做好你的工作 |
[48:29] | I’ve never practiced law a day in my life. | 我这一生中 从未做过律师 |
[48:31] | But I have written them. | 但我书写法律 |
[48:33] | And occupying this office, I know what the country needs. | 我占着这间办公室 我知道国家需要什么 |
[48:37] | It needs closure. | 它需要了结 |
[48:42] | Let me work on a new argument. | 我去写新的抗辩了 |
[48:44] | – Thank you, Heather. – Thank you, Mr. President. | -谢谢 希瑟 -谢谢 总统先生 |
[48:54] | Where do you want these, ma’am? | 总统夫人 您想把它们放在哪 |
[48:56] | Anywhere. Just not in here. | 只要不是这里 哪都行 |
[48:57] | Okay. | 好 |
[49:01] | – Scott? – Yes? | -斯科特 -怎么了 |
[49:03] | Here’s a couple more. | 这儿还有一些 |
[49:13] | *Let the towns drift slowly by | *让城镇从你身边漂过* |
[49:17] | *Listen to the steel rails hummin’* | *听铁路车轮哼鸣* |
[49:21] | *That’s a hobo’s lullaby* | *这就是流浪者的催眠曲* |
[49:25] | *Do not think about tomorrow* | *别为明天担忧* |
[49:29] | *Let tomorrow come and go* | *让明天来 任明天去* |
[49:32] | *Tonight you’ve got a nice warm boxcar* | *今晚你睡在温暖的车厢* |
[49:36] | You want a peanut butter and jelly? | 想不想来份花生酱果冻三明治 |
[49:38] | No, thanks. | 不了 谢谢 |
[49:46] | Is everything all right? | 一切都还好吗 |
[49:52] | I want the UN job, Francis. | 我想做联合国大使 弗兰西斯 |
[49:55] | The Senate goes home in two weeks. | 参议院两周后就休会了 |
[49:57] | I want a recess appointment. | 我要你进行休会任命 |
[49:59] | I prepared for it. I can do this. | 我为此做了准备 我能胜任 |
[50:01] | And after it’s all over, | 等一切结束后 |
[50:02] | if I’ve done the job I know I can do, | 如果我成功胜任我知道我能胜任的工作 |
[50:04] | I’ll be positioned for anything I want. | 我今后做什么都行了 |
[50:07] | Claire– | 克莱尔 |
[50:08] | Now, I checked with the White House Counsel. | 我和白宫法律顾问确认过了 |
[50:09] | There is precedent for a recess appointment | 在提名被否决后 |
[50:12] | after a rejected nomination. | 有休会任命的先例 |
[50:13] | Only once, but you wouldn’t be the first. | 只有一次 但你肯定不是首例 |
[50:15] | And I know you’ll take a hit politically. | 我知道你在政治上会遭非议 |
[50:17] | And I know people will think I don’t deserve it. | 我也清楚人们会认为我不配 |
[50:19] | They’ll have doubts in me. | 他们对我会心存顾虑 |
[50:20] | But what if… this is as far as we get? | 可如果我们只能走到这一步了呢 |
[50:25] | What if it’s all over in 18 months? | 如果18个月后一切都将结束 |
[50:28] | I don’t want to wait, or settle for something else, | 我不想等 也不想屈就 |
[50:31] | – when I’ve put all this work into– – Okay. | -尤其是我已经投入了这么多… -好吧 |
[50:36] | I’ll do it. | 我会做的 |
[50:40] | – You sure you don’t want half? – I’m not hungry. | -你确定不来半块 -我不饿 |
[50:43] | I’ll be in my study. | 如果你找我 我在书房 |
[52:03] | 美国第二任总统约翰·亚当斯的夫人阿比盖尔·亚当斯 在美国独立革命时期和建国后夫君担任总统期间 一直以挚友和参谋的身份 在国家事务上给予约翰·亚当斯宝贵的意见和建议 富兰克林·罗斯福总统的第一夫人 埃莉诺·罗斯福一直坚持拥有独立的事业追求 成为第一夫人后还继续作为教师承担教学工作 同时坚持不懈地推动美国社会在人权和妇女权益方面的进步 罗斯福总统过世后 埃莉诺继续为自己的信仰和追求进行着不懈的努力 1945年 她被杜鲁门总统任命为美国首位驻联合国大使 后还成为联合国人权委员会的首任主席 她被认为是美国历史上最伟大的第一夫人 | |
[52:28] | 希拉里·克林顿是现代美国历史上 第一位在白宫西区拥有自己办公室的第一夫人 比尔·克林顿刚刚当选总统后 便力排众议 破天荒地委任自己的第一夫人来领导医疗改革 希拉里虽满腔热情 但她主导的医疗改革被国会山上的议员们打得片甲不留 惨败收场 但这没有让希拉里放弃自己的政治野心 离开白宫后 她先是成功当选纽约州参议员 继而参加了2008总统大选 虽然最后没有战胜奥巴马 但是虽败犹荣 并受命担任了奥巴马政府的国务卿 在目前美国两党紧锣密鼓地筹备2016总统大选之际 几乎所有人都认同 希拉里不仅是民主党中最有实力的潜在候选人 而且面对共和党对手也有着巨大的优势 | |
[52:53] | 美国政府部门大部分重要岗位的人事任命 不仅需要总统提名 还需要参议院经过听证会质询后 投票任命才能生效 当总统特别希望提名某人担任某个职位 而此人得不到议员们的认可和支持时 白宫有时候会利用参议院处于休会状态时进行提名 从而避开参议院听证这一步 让提名人直接上任 但这种”休会任命”如果经常发生 不仅会引起国会反弹 也会给选民一种不尊重民主制度的印象 2012年 奥巴马曾通过”休会任命”的手段任命了四名政府官员 但该任命在2014年被美国最高法院判定为违宪 |