时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:52] | So tonight marks the end of this campaign. | 此次竞选将于今晚落幕 |
[01:56] | And tomorrow, | 明天 |
[01:57] | in our time-honored tradition of freedom, | 遵照我们世代相传的自由传统 |
[01:58] | America will make its choice. | 美利坚将作出她的选择 |
[02:01] | If elected, I welcome the challenge | 如果顺利当选 我愿欣然面对 |
[02:03] | of serving as president | 就任总统所带来的挑战 |
[02:05] | and of defending that freedom in its hour of maximum danger. | 并在最危急的关头捍卫我们的自由 |
[02:10] | Though half the globe now lives under tyranny, | 尽管目前全世界还有一半的人生活在暴政之中 |
[02:12] | the kind of society that we build here, | 但我们在此建立的社会 |
[02:14] | the kind of power we generate, | 凝聚的力量 |
[02:17] | the kind of enthusiasm we incite | 澎湃的热情 |
[02:20] | will tell whether darkness or light overtakes us all. | 将决定最终统治我们的是黑暗还是光明 |
[02:31] | So I ask that you join us tomorrow | 在此我诚邀各位明天加入我们 |
[02:34] | in moving America forward, | 共同促进美国的发展 |
[02:36] | making America a great beacon of light | 让美国成为一座辉煌灯塔 |
[02:39] | for the 1960s and for all time. | 照亮六十年代 照亮历史长河 |
[02:45] | Kennedy! Kennedy! Kennedy! | 肯尼迪 肯尼迪 肯尼迪 |
[02:49] | Kennedy! Kennedy! | 肯尼迪 肯尼迪 |
[02:51] | Kennedy! | 肯尼迪 |
[02:56] | Senator Kennedy, at 43, | 现年四十三岁的肯尼迪参议员 |
[02:58] | would be the youngest man ever elected | 将会是有史以来最年轻的总统 |
[03:00] | and the first Roman Catholic. | 也是第一个信仰罗马天主教的总统 |
[03:01] | A naval officer in World War II, | 作为一名二战中的海军军官 |
[03:04] | he was severely wounded and received | 他曾身受重伤 并因其大无畏的精神 |
[03:06] | the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for heroism. | 被授予海军与海军陆战队勋章 |
[03:08] | The Kennedy campaign has been largely a family affair. | 肯尼迪的竞选离不开家族的大力支持 |
[03:11] | The candidate’s brother Robert | 这位候选人的弟弟罗伯特 |
[03:13] | has served as a campaign manager, | 是他的竞选经理人 |
[03:15] | and with financing provided by Senator Kennedy’s father, | 竞选资金则由肯尼迪参议员的父亲 |
[03:18] | Joseph P. Kennedy, one of America’s richest men. | 美国富豪之一的约瑟夫·P·肯尼迪提供 |
[03:21] | Though the elder Kennedy is estimated to have spent | 尽管据估计老肯尼迪已经投入了 |
[03:24] | as much as $10 million, | 一千万美元 |
[03:25] | the race between Senator Kennedy and Vice President Nixon | 参议员肯尼迪与副总统尼克松之间的竞争 |
[03:28] | is a virtual dead heat. | 依然难较高下 |
[03:31] | Damn it. | 该死 |
[03:32] | If I don’t do it myself, it never gets done. | 只要我不亲自去办 事情肯定就办不成 |
[03:35] | The buses in Bridgeport never showed up. | 布里奇波特的大巴根本没到位 |
[03:37] | There are old people who can’t make it to the polls, | 有些老人没法去投票 |
[03:40] | and we need every vote. | 每一票都至关重要 |
[03:42] | Lyndon tells me his people need another 300 grand. | 林顿说他的人想再要三十万 |
[03:46] | Wire it to him, but not to his headquarters. | 电汇给他 但别给他的总部 |
[03:47] | Go through Al Wirtz. | 通过阿尔·沃茨 |
[03:48] | Then I want to talk to Mayor Daley | 我还要跟戴雷市长 |
[03:52] | and Pat Brown in California. | 和加利福尼亚的帕特·布朗通话 |
[03:54] | Dad, I think the, uh, weather’s looking good | 爸 我觉得整个东海岸的 |
[03:55] | on the entire east coast. | 天气都还不错 |
[03:57] | The buses in Bridgeport never showed up. | 布里奇波特的大巴根本没到位 |
[03:59] | No, no, I had that all arranged. | 不可能啊 我都安排好了 |
[04:01] | I had to take care of it myself. | 我还得亲自去处理 |
[04:03] | I got cabs and limos from funeral homes, | 我在殡仪馆订了出租和豪车 |
[04:05] | so if Jack loses out there, it’s on your head. | 万一杰克在那里失利 责任全在你 |
[04:08] | I know, Dad. I know. | 我知道 爸 我知道 |
[04:10] | Anyway, Mayor Wagner called. | 总之 瓦格纳市长来过电话了 |
[04:11] | Said the, uh, turnout in Harlem is running, uh… | 说哈勒姆的选票比 |
[04:14] | 18% higher than projected. | 预期高出18% |
[04:15] | You got anything useful to tell me about | 你还有什么有用的消息吗 |
[04:17] | besides the weather? | 除了天气之外 |
[04:21] | Would you like some grapefruit? | 要来点葡萄柚吗 |
[04:22] | No, he doesn’t want grapefruit. | 不用了 他不用吃葡萄柚了 |
[04:24] | He needs to check on the buses in Trenton. | 他要去确保特伦顿的大巴到位 |
[04:30] | Bobby. | 波比 |
[04:36] | Just go out there and help us win. | 快去干活 帮我们赢了选举 |
[04:40] | It’s what we do around here. | 这就是咱们的任务 |
[04:47] | It kicked again. | 又动了 |
[04:49] | It’s been doing it all morning. | 今天早上一直在动 |
[04:54] | Daddy, wanna come feel the baby? | 爸爸 要来摸摸宝宝吗 |
[04:57] | Well, of course. | 好啊 当然 |
[04:58] | Let’s see what’s going on in there. | 来看看宝宝怎么样了 |
[05:01] | – Do you feel it? – I do. | -感觉到了吗 -感觉到了 |
[05:05] | Today’s a big day. | 今天很重要哦 |
[05:06] | Your daddy’s going to become president. | 你爸爸要当总统了 |
[05:10] | Now go get dressed. | 快去换衣服吧 |
[05:17] | Bye, honey. | 再见 宝贝 |
[05:22] | How are you feeling? | 感觉如何 |
[05:23] | Oh, like hell. | 太煎熬了 |
[05:31] | They don’t have a nursery in the White House. | 白宫里可没有育婴室 |
[05:35] | Oh, they do. | 有的 |
[05:36] | It’s called the Cabinet Room. | 叫内阁会议室 |
[05:42] | Let’s not, uh, worry about the floor plan | 先别操心到时候的房间安排了 |
[05:44] | until, uh… | 等到 |
[05:46] | until they count the votes. | 等到选票统计完了再说吧 |
[05:48] | You know you’re going to win. | 你知道你一定会赢的 |
[05:49] | No, I really don’t. | 我还真不知道 |
[05:51] | Then why were you singing Hail to the Chief in the shower? | 那你洗澡的时候为啥要唱《向统帅致敬》 |
[05:55] | Was I, uh, was I doing that? | 我 我唱了吗 |
[06:01] | It’s a very catchy tune. | 那歌还挺上口的 |
[06:07] | Tom? Tom? | 汤姆 汤姆 |
[06:10] | Now I want you to get on the phone, | 我要你现在打电话 |
[06:11] | make sure those buses are rolling in Trenton | 确保特伦顿的大巴在投票开始的时候 |
[06:13] | the minute the polls open, okay? | 准时到位 好吗 |
[06:17] | Jack? We’re behind schedule. | 杰克 我们快来不及了 |
[06:21] | Sorry to rush you, but, uh, | 不想催你的 不过 |
[06:22] | you have radio interviews at 9:00, 9:30, and 10:00. | 你在九点 九点半和十点都有电台采访 |
[06:25] | Then, uh, then this afternoon, I have you, uh, set up | 然后今天下午 我帮你安排了 |
[06:26] | with the A.P., U.P.I., and, uh, possibly Cronkite. | 美联社 合众国际社 可能还有克朗凯特 |
[06:29] | I was hoping to go to the golf course. | 我还打算去上高尔夫球课呢 |
[06:31] | Jackie, I need you to do an on-air segment with WBX Boston. | 杰姬 我需要你和波士顿WBX广播台做一个节目 |
[06:34] | – Can you do that for me? – No, you cancel that, | -可以吗 -不行 取消掉 |
[06:35] | Bobby. She… she’s worked hard. | 波比 她最近够辛苦了 |
[06:37] | She’s done enough interviews. I want her to rest. | 已经做了那么多采访了 我想让她休息一下 |
[06:39] | Well, Jack, I appreciate that, | 杰克 我理解 |
[06:40] | but, uh, you would help his campaign tremendously | 但这对他的竞选活动很重要 |
[06:42] | – if… if you could rest tomorrow. – With all due respect, | -如果你能 明天再休息的话 -恕我直言 |
[06:45] | I don’t believe one interview is | 我不相信一个采访 |
[06:45] | – gonna make a lot of difference. – It’s all right, Jack. | -能起多大作用 -没关系 杰克 |
[06:48] | – I’ll do it. – No, when we get back, uh, from voting, | -我去 -不行 等投票完回来 |
[06:50] | I want you to relax with Caroline, really. | 我想要你和卡洛琳一起休息一下 真的 |
[06:53] | All right? Where’s Dad? | 就这样吧 爸呢 |
[06:54] | Well, he’s probably fixing my mistakes. | 他应该在替我犯的错善后 |
[06:56] | A record number of Americans, upwards of 67 million, | 参与人数前所未有 多达六千七百万美国人 |
[07:00] | go to the polls to elect the 35th president of the United States. | 参加了第35届美利坚合众国总统选举 |
[07:04] | Citizens from Maine to Hawaii record their choices | 从缅因州到夏威夷州的公民庄严投下了自己的一票 |
[07:07] | as the attention of the entire globe | 全世界的目光 |
[07:09] | focuses on the contest for the leadership | 都聚焦在这次 |
[07:12] | of the most powerful nation of the free world. | 自由世界最强大国家的领导人选举中 |
[07:14] | The Democratic nominee is an early favorite, | 民主党候选人在先前颇受欢迎 |
[07:17] | and first returns bear out predictions in Mr. Kennedy’s favor. | 首轮选举公告证实了对肯尼迪先生的优势预测 |
[07:20] | The GOP standard-bearer, | 共和党的旗手 |
[07:22] | Richard Nixon is constantly supported… | 理查德·尼克松的支持率比较稳定 |
[07:25] | Is that it? | 就这些吗 |
[07:26] | Senator. | 参议员先生 |
[07:28] | Here are the latest numbers from North Carolina and West Virginia. | 这是北卡罗来纳州和西弗吉尼亚州的最新数据 |
[07:32] | How’s the turnout been so far? | 我们现在得票数怎么样 |
[07:35] | Heavier than expected. | 好过预期 |
[07:36] | – Really? – Mm-hmm. | -是嘛 -嗯 |
[07:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[07:40] | Eager crowds gather… | 热心的民众聚集在 |
[07:41] | We’ll, uh, take that. Yeah. | 把这个拿一下 |
[07:42] | …public library. | 公立图书馆 |
[07:51] | Harry, you were one of the great presidents, | 哈利 你曾是最伟大的总统之一 |
[07:54] | and Jack’s gonna rely on you, | 杰克以后还要仰仗你 |
[07:55] | but we gotta win first. | 但首要的是先赢下选举 |
[07:56] | Now those Baptists in your state | 现在你们州的那些浸信会的教徒 |
[07:58] | are worried about this Catholic thing. | 在因为天主教的问题庸人自扰 |
[08:00] | Now you gotta let ’em know | 现在你得让他们知道 |
[08:01] | that he won’t let his strings be pulled by the pope. | 杰克肯定不会受到教皇的影响 |
[08:13] | Yeah, I know you will, Harry. | 是 我知道你会的 哈利 |
[08:15] | You’re a true patriot. | 你是个货真价实的爱国者 |
[08:16] | Yes, regards to Bess. | 好 替我向贝丝问好 |
[08:19] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:22] | That son of a bitch. | 这个婊子养的 |
[08:23] | You know he wouldn’t let ’em drink scotch in the White House | 你知道吗 他当初不许白宫里喝威士忌 |
[08:25] | ’cause I own the import rights? | 就是因为我掌握着进口权 |
[08:27] | Joe, dear, are you ready? | 乔 亲爱的 准备好了吗 |
[08:29] | For what? | 准备什么 |
[08:30] | Will you come to mass with me? | 你跟我去做弥撒吗 |
[08:33] | Oh, Rosie, | 哦 罗丝 |
[08:34] | I’ve got a stack of calls this high, | 我要打的电话推起来这么高 |
[08:36] | each one more important than the last. | 一个比一个重要 |
[08:38] | What could be more important than praying for Jack? | 有什么事比替杰克祈祷还重要吗 |
[08:41] | Getting the Polack vote out in Detroit. | 争取到底特律波兰裔的选票 |
[08:44] | I’ll go with you tomorrow, sweetheart, | 亲爱的 我明天跟你去 |
[08:47] | after Jack’s elected. | 在杰克赢得大选以后 |
[08:50] | See that he eats a good lunch, | 看着他好好吃午饭 |
[08:52] | will you, Michelle, dear? | 好吗 米歇尔 亲爱的 |
[08:53] | Yes, Mrs. Kennedy. | 好的 肯尼迪夫人 |
[08:57] | Finest wife a fellow could have. | 得妻如此 夫复何求 |
[09:00] | But I don’t understand her faith. | 我只是不理解她的信仰 |
[09:04] | I admire it, but I don’t understand it. | 我很钦佩 就是不理解 |
[09:09] | You don’t believe that God had a hand in all this? | 你不相信冥冥之中上帝之手操控着这一切吗 |
[09:11] | Oh, absolutely. | 当然 |
[09:14] | Here is God’s hand, | 这是上帝之手 |
[09:16] | my hand. | 我的手 |
[09:30] | Gotcha! | 逮到你啦 |
[09:31] | Ooh! Hey. Just shot off the first down. | 我刚下飞机就过来了 |
[09:33] | – How are you? – Good. You? | -你好吗 -我很好 你呢 |
[09:34] | – Good. – Jackie all right? | -我也很好 -杰姬还好吧 |
[09:37] | I think she’s fine, really. | 我想她挺好的 真的 |
[09:39] | I ran into the crew of WBX. | 我刚才碰到了WBX的人 |
[09:41] | They said she wasn’t feeling well, | 他们说她不太舒服 |
[09:43] | couldn’t do the interview. | 没法参加采访 |
[09:43] | No, Jack just wanted her to rest. | 没 杰克就是想让她休息一下 |
[09:45] | She’s… she’s fine. | 她 她没事 |
[09:48] | Well, I can, uh, pinch-hit for her | 那我可以替她上阵 |
[09:50] | if, uh, you think it would help. | 如果 你觉得有帮助的话 |
[09:52] | I can tell ’em | 我可以告诉他们 |
[09:53] | what it’s like to be part of the Kennedy team. | 成为肯尼迪团队的一员是什么样的 |
[09:55] | You wouldn’t mind doing that? | 你真愿意吗 |
[09:56] | I think you’d be great. | 我想你会做得很好 |
[09:57] | I’m gonna tell ’em. | 那我告诉他们啦 |
[09:59] | – I’ll go get changed. – All right. | -我这就去换衣服 -好的 |
[10:14] | There’s Daddy and me at our wedding. | 这是爸爸和我在婚礼上 |
[10:20] | Who’s that? | 这是谁 |
[10:21] | Grandma and Grandpa. | 奶奶和爷爷 |
[10:25] | Daddy and me. | 爸爸和我 |
[10:29] | Who’s that? | 这是谁呀 |
[10:31] | Your Uncle Joe. | 你的乔大伯 |
[10:32] | I don’t have an Uncle Joe. | 我才没有叫乔的大伯呢 |
[10:35] | He was Daddy’s older brother. | 他是爸爸的哥哥 |
[10:38] | Wasn’t he handsome? | 他是不是很帅 |
[10:41] | Ambassador Kennedy is very anxious to talk to the governor. | 肯尼迪大使急切希望同州长通话 |
[10:45] | Well, can you ring through to the residence? | 那能否帮我接通州长住所 |
[10:50] | All right. Yes. | 好吧 是 |
[10:51] | Please have him call Ambassador Kennedy as soon as he arrives. | 请他到达后马上给肯尼迪大使回电 |
[10:55] | Yes. Thank you. | 是的 谢谢你 |
[10:59] | Left word for Governor Brown. | 已经给布朗州长留言了 |
[11:00] | Why are they writing about me? | 他们怎么这么写我 |
[11:03] | “Wall street manipulator, | “华尔街操盘手 |
[11:05] | appeaser of Hitler”… none of it’s true. | 姑息希特勒” 没一句是真的 |
[11:07] | You shouldn’t read these things. They just upset you. | 你不该看这些东西 只能让你烦心 |
[11:09] | It could cost Jack the election. | 可这些可能会毁掉杰克的选举 |
[11:11] | It won’t. He’ll be fine. Let me make you some tea. | 不会的 他不会有事的 我给你沏茶 |
[11:14] | No. No, no, no, no, no. I d… I don’t want any tea. | 别别别 我 我不想喝茶 |
[11:16] | Just stay with me. | 陪我待会儿 |
[11:19] | Are you feeling all right? | 你还好吗 |
[11:21] | Yes, yes. Uh… | 恩 恩 |
[11:23] | I-I… I’ve been thinking a lot | 我今天一直在想 |
[11:26] | of Joe Jr… today. | 小约瑟夫 |
[11:33] | I miss him. | 我好想他 |
[11:38] | Roosevelt named the ambassador to England. | 罗斯福总统任命了新的驻英国大使 |
[11:40] | – How do you like that? – Proud of you, Pop. | -你觉得怎么样 -为您骄傲 爸爸 |
[11:42] | Me, too. | 我也是 |
[11:44] | Well, you know, this job is a springboard for me. | 这个工作对我来说是个跳板 |
[11:47] | War might break out in Europe, | 欧洲很可能要爆发战争 |
[11:49] | and I’ll be in a perfect position… | 而我会在最佳位置上 |
[11:50] | to make sure we stay out of it. | 以保证美国不会被卷入战争 |
[11:53] | In two years time, | 两年以后 |
[11:54] | they’ll be handing me the nomination on a plate. | 他们自然会给我提名 |
[11:56] | Uh, what do you mean? | 那是什么意思 |
[11:59] | Dad’s gonna be President, Jack. | 杰克 爸爸就要当总统啦 |
[12:01] | Roosevelt will have finished his two terms. | 到那时罗斯福已经完成连任 |
[12:02] | If I keep us out of the war, | 如果能使美国置身战争之外 |
[12:05] | I’ll be a shoo-in. | 我一定能胜出 |
[12:06] | But, uh, you’re a Catholic. | 可是 您是天主教徒啊 |
[12:10] | I’m an American. | 可我也是美国人啊 |
[12:13] | When my parents came over in steerage, | 当年我父母坐着二等舱来到这儿 |
[12:16] | they worked themselves sick | 他们筚路蓝缕 辛苦打拼 |
[12:17] | so there’d be clothes and food | 才解决了温饱 |
[12:19] | and something for the plate on Sunday. | 才有了礼拜天盘子里的好吃的 |
[12:21] | In the old country, they were Mr. And Mrs. Kennedy. | 在爱尔兰 他们是肯尼迪夫妇 |
[12:24] | In Boston, they were a couple of micks. | 而在波士顿只是一对爱尔兰佬 |
[12:26] | Well, this mick is going to the White House, | 而现在这个爱尔兰佬就要入主白宫了 |
[12:29] | and nobody will ever say we don’t belong. | 没人会再说我们不属于这儿 |
[12:35] | Now if you boys don’t remember anything else I say, | 就算我说的你们什么都记不住 |
[12:37] | remember this… | 也要记住这一点 |
[12:39] | it’s not what you are, | 你是谁不重要 |
[12:40] | it’s what people think you are. | 关键是别人觉得你是谁 |
[12:43] | And with the right amount of money, | 只要有足够的钱 |
[12:44] | you can make ’em think whatever you want. | 你就能左右他们的看法 |
[12:45] | We’re on our way, boys. | 我们就要成功了 孩子们 |
[12:48] | This country is ours for the taking. | 这个国家我们垂手可得 |
[12:53] | Despite a series of broken promises, | 虽然阿道夫·希特勒 |
[12:55] | by Adolf Hitler, | 一再失信 |
[12:57] | Prime Minister Chamberlain of Great Britain | 英国首相张伯伦还是为 |
[12:58] | has staked his political future | 和德国总理以谈判的方式解决争端 |
[13:00] | on a negotiated settlement with the German chancellor. | 赌上了自己的政治前途 |
[13:03] | Hopes seem to be fading, | 希望看似渐渐渺茫 |
[13:05] | however, that war can be avoided. | 但战争还是有可能被避免 |
[13:09] | Uh, and this is for the president only. | 这是专门写给总统的 |
[13:11] | “Dear boss, perhaps a note from you | “尊敬的总统 您的一份照会也许 |
[13:14] | could buck up Chamberlain, | 能让张伯伦振作起来 |
[13:15] | assure him that America is committed | 并让他确信美国愿不惜以任何代价 |
[13:17] | to avoiding conflict in Europe at all costs.” | 避免欧洲发生的争端” |
[13:21] | “And any concessions to Hitler must be viewed in that light.” | “而且任何对希特勒的让步都要考虑这一点” |
[13:24] | That’s very good. You… you can add that. | 很不错 可以把这一点加上 |
[13:26] | What makes you so sure Hitler’s gonna keep his word this time? | 你凭什么确信希特勒这次不会食言呢 |
[13:29] | That’s not our concern. | 那不是我们要担心的 |
[13:30] | You read what Lindbergh’s been saying? | 没听见林德伯格怎么说的吗 |
[13:32] | “We couldn’t beat the Germans anyway.” | “我们怎么样都打不过德国人的” |
[13:34] | “I am confident, Mr. President, | “总统先生 我相信 |
[13:36] | that you share this view. | 您也赞同这一观点 |
[13:38] | Keeping us out of the war,” | 让美国人民保持中立的话” |
[13:40] | well, in this young man’s opinion, | 正如这位年轻人所说的 |
[13:43] | “will be the enduring legacy of your administration. | “将能让您在任期内留下不朽的政治遗产 |
[13:50] | With love, as always, | 此致 敬礼 |
[13:52] | etcetera, etcetera.” | 等等 等等” |
[13:54] | And, uh, put it in the noon pouch. | 还有 中午就寄出去 |
[13:59] | All right, Pop. I’m off to the club. | 好了 爸爸 我要去俱乐部了 |
[14:01] | Lunching with the foreign secretary. | 要和外交部长共进午餐 |
[14:06] | And I’m… | 我嘛 |
[14:07] | lunching with the, uh, | 一起吃午饭的是 |
[14:09] | secretary’s… | 部长的 |
[14:11] | secretary. | 秘书 |
[14:14] | Oh, we’re due at the palace at 8:00. | 别忘了八点钟我们要去白金汉宫 |
[14:17] | That Jack is quite delightful. | 杰克很讨人喜欢嘛 |
[14:20] | Yes, but it’s… | 是的 但是 |
[14:22] | it’s Joe who’s going places. | 真正成功的 将会是乔 |
[14:25] | Hitler’s demands on the Sudetenland of Czechoslovakia | 希特勒对捷克斯洛伐克苏台德地区的领土要求 |
[14:30] | amount to nothing more than a reunification of the Greater German Reich. | 无非就是大德意志帝国的重新统一 |
[14:36] | The desire of German-speaking peoples to be part of the same nation | 要让那儿说德语的人民并入德国 |
[14:41] | seems to me to be no more unreasonable | 在我看来 似乎没什么不合理的 |
[14:45] | than the desire of English-speaking people | 就像说英语的人民 |
[14:48] | to be united on this blessed island. | 想在这宝岛上团结成一个国家一样 |
[14:52] | Has he, uh, cleared this with Washington? | 他的这些观点事先告知过华盛顿吗 |
[14:55] | Why should he? It’s the truth. | 有这必要吗 他讲的可都是事实 |
[14:57] | It’s not the truth, no. That’s his opinion. | 这些不是事实 只是他的个人观点 |
[15:00] | We refer to the expansion of our boundaries | 我们把自己领土的扩张 |
[15:04] | as manifest destiny. | 当成是”昭昭天命” |
[15:04] | 19世纪鼓吹”美国的扩张即为民主自由的扩张 是上帝赋予的神圣使命”的一种理论 | |
[15:08] | Herr Hitler has renounced further territorial claims | 希特勒先生已经宣布放弃 |
[15:13] | on the continent of Europe. | 在欧洲更多的领土要求 |
[15:15] | And we would be ungenerous | 要是不相信他的话 |
[15:18] | not to take him at his word. | 我们未免表现得太刻薄了 |
[15:22] | Why would we take him at his word? | 我们为什么还要相信希特勒 |
[15:24] | He’s been lying since the moment he took power. | 他自上台以来就一直在撒谎 |
[15:26] | It’s not our problem. | 这不是我们的问题 |
[15:28] | That’s all Dad’s saying. | 爸爸说的就是这意思 |
[15:30] | Dad is going against everything that Roosevelt’s been saying. | 爸爸在与罗斯福的观点背道而驰 |
[15:34] | Going against Roosevelt’s gonna make Dad president. | 跟罗斯福唱反调才能让爸爸当上总统 |
[15:37] | -When I say that we… – You worry too much, kid. | -当我声明我们 -你有点杞人忧天了 老弟 |
[15:41] | Dad is the most popular American in the Europe. | 爸爸是在欧洲最受欢迎的美国人 |
[15:43] | Roosevelt can’t touch him. | 罗斯福不能把他怎么样 |
[15:45] | He wouldn’t dare. | 他才不敢呢 |
[15:48] | Britain and France have declared war on Germany. | 英法已经向德国宣战 |
[15:51] | In London, Ambassador Kennedy still maintains his opinion | 在伦敦 肯尼迪大使依旧重申 |
[15:55] | that America should stay out of it, | 美国应保持中立的观点 |
[15:57] | a position that has caused friction between the ambassador | 这一观点让大使和罗斯福政府之间 |
[16:00] | and the Roosevelt administration. | 发生了摩擦 |
[16:07] | Joe, dear, we’re going to be late for this reception | 乔 亲爱的 我们要赶不上招待会了 |
[16:10] | unless we g… | 除非我们立即 |
[16:12] | Joe? | 乔 |
[16:14] | What is it? | 怎么啦 |
[16:15] | That was the White House. | 白宫来电了 |
[16:17] | The White House? | 白宫 |
[16:22] | I’m out, Rossie. | 我被免职了 罗丝 |
[16:26] | I-I don’t believe it. | 我不敢相信 |
[16:28] | The president fired you? | 是总统将你解职了吗 |
[16:29] | No, no, he didn’t have the guts. | 不是他 他没那胆子 |
[16:30] | It was his Jew boys… Rosenman and Morgenthau… | 是他身边的犹太小子 罗森曼和摩根索 |
[16:33] | they wanted me out. | 他俩容不下我 |
[16:34] | I embarrassed him, they said. They called me an appeaser. | 他们说我让总统难堪 说我只会姑息纵容 |
[16:37] | They made it sound like I like Hitler. | 说得好像我喜欢希特勒似的 |
[16:39] | Said I was anti-American. | 说我是反美的 |
[16:41] | Me! | 我啊 |
[16:43] | And Roosevelt… | 而罗斯福 |
[16:45] | Roosevelt listened to them! | 罗斯福居然信了他们的鬼话 |
[16:48] | So what are you going to do? | 那你打算怎么办呢 |
[16:50] | Oh, I am going to throw everything I can at that son of a bitch. | 我要不遗余力地报复那个狗娘养的 |
[16:55] | I’m gonna spend whatever it takes | 我要竭尽全力地 |
[16:57] | -to make sure he doesn’t get reelected. -No, Joe. | -让他无法连任 -别这样 乔 |
[16:59] | -When I want your advice… -You… | -当我需要你的意见时 -你 |
[17:03] | are going to endorse him for a third term. | 应该支持他去寻求再度连任 |
[17:08] | He gave you, a Catholic, | 他给了你这个天主教徒 |
[17:10] | the most important diplomatic post | 这个国家能给的 |
[17:12] | this country has to give. | 最重要的外交任命 |
[17:14] | People will think you’re ungrateful, | 要是你反咬一口的话 |
[17:16] | if you come out against him. | 人们会觉得你忘恩负义 |
[17:17] | You’ll never be able to hold your head up again. | 那你在民众面前就永远都抬不起头了 |
[17:19] | I don’t care what people think! | 我才不在乎民众怎么看我 |
[17:23] | Well, you should, Joe… | 你应该在乎 乔 |
[17:26] | because there’s more to this family than just you. | 因为你必须要为这个家着想 |
[18:28] | You were right. | 你说的对 |
[18:30] | About what? | 哪件事 |
[18:33] | It is over for me. | 我的前途已经完了 |
[18:38] | But this family… | 但我们这个家族 |
[18:39] | is not going to disappear. | 不会从此消失 |
[18:46] | I’ll make sure of that. | 这点我向你保证 |
[18:50] | America has been attacked without warning. | 美国在毫无征兆的情况下 受到了攻击 |
[18:53] | That’s the dramatic, the almost fantastic news that | 早些时间 总统秘书向媒体公布了 |
[18:56] | presidential secretary early tells the press. | 这一震惊全球且不可思议的消息 |
[18:59] | And throughout the nation, the news is flashed… it’s war! | 消息在全国迅速传开 战争打响了 |
[19:03] | American lives lost, | 美国军队死伤严重 |
[19:05] | American property destroyed… | 美国财产惨遭毁灭 |
[19:07] | With growing resentment, | 得知了这一无耻突袭的 |
[19:09] | Americans learn of the treacherous assault. | 美国民众无不群情激愤 |
[19:11] | We didn’t start this war, | 这场战争不是我们挑起的 |
[19:14] | but we can finish it. | 但我们可以让它终结 |
[19:18] | – All right. You take care of yourself, Bobby. – See you, Joe. | -照顾好自己 波比 -再见 乔 |
[19:21] | Teddy, you stay out of trouble, huh? | 别惹麻烦 泰迪 |
[19:25] | Girls. | 丫头们 |
[19:26] | Bye. | 再见 |
[19:27] | -Take care. -Careful, Joe. | -保重 -你也是 乔 |
[19:29] | I’ll see you soon, okay? | 我很快就会回来的 |
[19:31] | Be good to Mom. | 听妈妈的话 |
[19:39] | Oh, I hate the idea of you flying over Europe. | 实在不愿意想象你在欧洲上空飞行 |
[19:41] | Well, we’re in this thing now. | 我们已经宣战了 |
[19:44] | We’ve got to win. | 我们得赢 |
[19:45] | I know, but if I could write Hitler a check | 我知道 但要是我能给希特勒开张支票 |
[19:48] | and get him to call the whole thing off, I’d do it. | 使他停战的话 我立刻就开 |
[19:53] | I’ll be fine, Dad. | 你放心吧 爸爸 |
[19:55] | I’ll bring you back some medals, | 我会带回很多荣誉勋章 |
[19:56] | wave ’em around when I run for Congress. | 并会戴着它们去竞选国会议员 |
[19:58] | That’s just the beginning. | 那只是个开始 |
[20:01] | You’ll succeed where I failed. | 你会完成我未完成的心愿 |
[20:04] | You’re gonna go all the way. | 你一定会走到最后的 |
[20:07] | I know. | 我知道 |
[20:10] | You know? | 你知道 |
[20:11] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[20:12] | I knew it the second you got that call from Roosevelt. | 在你接到罗斯福电话那一刻起 我就知道了 |
[20:19] | I love you, Son. | 我爱你 儿子 |
[20:22] | You, too, Pop. | 我也爱你 爸爸 |
[20:37] | Save my clippings, huh? | 记得收集关于我的剪报 |
[20:39] | And start planning my campaign. | 现在就开始筹划我的竞选活动吧 |
[20:56] | You read Walter Winchell’s column this morning? | 你看过早报上沃特·温切尔的专栏了吗 |
[20:59] | No. I, uh, I missed it. | 没有 我没看到 |
[21:01] | Well, I know you don’t have your brother’s common sense, | 我知道你不像你哥哥那样循规蹈矩 |
[21:03] | but damn it, Jack. | 但这也太出格了 杰克 |
[21:05] | “One of ex-ambassador Kennedy’s sons, | “前大使肯尼迪家的一位公子 |
[21:08] | is the target of a Washington gal columnist’s affections… | 与一名华盛顿的少女专栏作家交往甚密 |
[21:13] | so much so, | 以至于 |
[21:14] | she is divorcing her explorer groom. | 她打算与自己新婚的探险家丈夫离婚 |
[21:18] | Pa Kennedy no like.” | 老肯尼迪很不高兴” |
[21:22] | Now the FBI were bugging her phone. | 联邦调查局一直在窃听她的电话 |
[21:25] | The FBI? | 联邦调查局 |
[21:26] | Must have been a slow week | 他们一定忙活了很久 |
[21:28] | “Inga Arvad, Danish national.” | “英戈·阿瓦德 丹麦国籍” |
[21:31] | J. Edgar Hoover thinks she’s a Nazi spy. | J·埃德加·胡佛认为她是纳粹间谍 |
[21:35] | Is it true? | 是真的吗 |
[21:36] | She is Danish. | 她的确是丹麦人 |
[21:38] | – Oh, for God sake. – Look, she’s not a spy. | -看在上帝的份上 -她不是间谍 |
[21:40] | She’s under investigation. | 她正在被调查 |
[21:43] | Now you can do what you like after the war. | 等战争结束了 你可以随心所欲 |
[21:45] | But what you don’t do now is embarrass me | 但现在 你不能做出令我蒙羞的行为 |
[21:48] | and hurt your brother’s chances | 不能因为继续和这个女孩交往 |
[21:49] | by carrying on with this girl. | 而影响到你哥哥的仕途 |
[21:53] | I got you a desk job in Washington | 我专门给你在华盛顿安排文职工作 |
[21:55] | to keep you out of trouble. | 就是为了不让你惹麻烦 |
[21:56] | I didn’t want a desk job. | 我不想做文职工作 |
[21:58] | I wanted to get out there. I wanted to fight like Joe. | 我不想待在那儿 我想像乔一样上战场 |
[22:00] | One son at risk is enough. | 有一个儿子让我提心吊胆已经够了 |
[22:04] | I’ll make you a deal. | 你看要不这样 |
[22:05] | I’ll lose the girl. You get me into combat. | 我离开那个女孩 你就让我上战场 |
[22:08] | I had to phony up your medical records | 我必须先为你伪造医疗记录 |
[22:10] | to get you in the Navy in the first place. | 才能把你弄进海军 |
[22:11] | You did it once. You can do it again. | 你已经做过一次 就能再做第二次 |
[22:14] | Look, Dad… I want this. | 爸爸 我真的想去 |
[22:17] | Okay? I need to get out there, | 我必须离开那儿 |
[22:18] | and I need to do something that matters, | 我必须做点有意义的事 |
[22:20] | or I’m gonna regret it for the rest of my life. | 不然我的余生将会在悔恨中度过 |
[22:26] | Write to me, okay? | 要记得给我写信 |
[22:27] | You bet, Jeanie. | 我保证 吉妮 |
[22:29] | Me, too. | 我也保证 |
[22:31] | Well, take care. | 保重 |
[22:33] | Be careful. | 当心一点 |
[22:35] | So remember, when the bullets start flying, duck. | 子弹横飞时要注意躲闪 一定要记住 |
[22:38] | And don’t bring me home any half-Jap grandchildren. | 千万别给我带个美日混血的孙子回家 |
[22:42] | Well, I-I hear they, uh, | 我听说 他们会让 |
[22:43] | keep PT boat commanders pretty busy, so… | 鱼雷艇艇长忙得不可开交 所以 |
[22:49] | Thanks for letting me do this, Pop. | 谢谢你尊重我的决定 爸爸 |
[22:57] | Take care of yourself, Jack. | 照顾好自己 杰克 |
[23:12] | One club. | 一张草花 |
[23:15] | One no trump. | 一张无主牌 |
[23:19] | Uh, three no trumps. | 三张无主牌 |
[23:33] | Hello. | 你好 |
[23:34] | May I speak to the ambassador, please? | 请问 我能和大使先生通话吗 |
[23:36] | This is the ambassador. | 我就是 |
[23:38] | This is commander Michael Donovan of the War Department. | 我是战争部的迈克尔·多诺凡司令 |
[23:41] | Mr. Ambassador, I have some news regarding your son. | 大使先生 我有些关于令郎的消息要告诉你 |
[23:46] | Which one? | 哪一个 |
[23:48] | Your son, Lieutenant John F. Kennedy. | 您的次子 约翰·F·肯尼迪上尉 |
[23:50] | His PT Boat was rammed by a Japanese destroyer. | 他的鱼雷艇被一艘日本驱逐舰撞沉了 |
[23:55] | Now we found the wreckage, but your son | 我们已经找到了船只的残骸 但令郎 |
[23:57] | and the rest of his crew are unaccounted for at this time. | 和其他船员目前仍然下落不明 |
[24:00] | Now we have reconnaissance in the area, | 我们已在出事海域展开了搜索 |
[24:01] | and I’ll be in touch with you as soon as we have word. | 一有消息我会立刻通知您 |
[24:04] | Uh, speak only to me, you understand? | 只许跟我说 明白吗 |
[24:08] | Not to my wife. | 别让我妻子知道 |
[24:09] | Very well, sir. | 明白 先生 |
[24:26] | Is everything all right, Joe? | 没事儿吧 乔 |
[24:28] | Everything’s fine. | 没事儿 |
[25:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:40] | Jack’s been missing for five days. | 杰克已经失踪五天了 |
[25:48] | How’s Rose handling it? | 罗丝的反应如何 |
[25:52] | I haven’t told her. | 我还没告诉她 |
[25:54] | You haven’t told her? | 你没告诉她 |
[25:55] | She’s the boy’s mother, Joe. | 她可是孩子的妈妈啊 乔 |
[25:57] | Well, I don’t want her to go through what I’ve been going through, | 我不想让她承受我现在所承受的痛苦 |
[25:59] | not knowing if… | 而且是在 |
[26:01] | he’s safe, if he’s alive. | 他生死未卜的情况下 |
[26:07] | And it’s my fault. | 这都是我的错 |
[26:09] | How is it your fault? | 这怎么是你的错呢 |
[26:11] | He shouldn’t be in the Navy at all. | 他原本是不能参加海军的 |
[26:12] | I fixed it so he could get in. | 是我动了点手脚他才得以加入 |
[26:15] | It’s my fault. | 是我的错 |
[26:21] | Why are you here, Joe? | 你为什么来这里 乔 |
[26:24] | I want you to pray for him. | 我想请你为他祈祷 |
[26:29] | Of course. I will. | 当然 我会的 |
[26:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:33] | But God will listen to your prayers, too. | 但是上帝同样会倾听你的祈祷 |
[26:36] | No, he won’t listen to me. | 不 他不会听的 |
[26:39] | I’ve sinned too much in the past. | 我早已罪孽深重了 |
[27:36] | Joe. | 乔 |
[27:39] | You should see a doctor. | 你该去看大夫了 |
[27:41] | You’re not sleeping. You’re not eating. | 你一直不眠不休 不吃不喝 |
[27:44] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[28:04] | Yes. | 喂 |
[28:04] | Mr. Ambassador, I have good news. | 大使先生 我有好消息要告诉您 |
[28:07] | Your son’s been found. He’s alive. | 我们找到令郎了 他还活着 |
[28:10] | He’s been taken to the hospital, | 我们已经送他进医院了 |
[28:12] | but his injuries don’t appear to be life-threatening. | 他的伤势也不重 没有生命危险 |
[28:18] | Joe? | 乔 |
[28:22] | Sir? | 先生 |
[28:26] | Yes, uh… | 好的 |
[28:27] | thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[28:29] | Very good, sir. | 好的 先生 |
[29:10] | To our war hero… | 敬我们的战斗英雄 |
[29:11] | and a job well-done. | 以及他的出色表现 |
[29:13] | Yeah, we’re all proud of you, kid. | 对 我们都为你感到骄傲 老弟 |
[29:16] | Thanks, Joe. | 谢了 乔 |
[29:17] | Sure. | 没什么 |
[29:22] | So that, uh, | 这么说 |
[29:24] | Jap destroyer just cut you clean in two, huh? | 鬼子的驱逐舰就那么把你们切成两半了 |
[29:26] | Oh, yeah. Like we were butter. | 没错 就像切黄油似的 |
[29:28] | Couldn’t take evasive measures? | 不能采取回避措施吗 |
[29:31] | It was pitch-black. | 当时漆黑一片 |
[29:33] | I never saw her. | 我完全看不见那艘战舰 |
[29:35] | I’m getting calls from people all over the world | 我不停地接到来自世界各地的电话 |
[29:37] | saying what a great job you did. | 告诉我你的任务完成得多么出色 |
[29:39] | Really lifted their spirits. | 真的大大鼓舞了他们的士气 |
[29:40] | Where was your radar? | 那你的雷达哪去了 |
[29:42] | It was on, but, uh, | 雷达是开着的 但是 |
[29:44] | – sometimes the signal doesn’t come through. – Interference? | -有时无法收到信号 -有干扰 |
[29:48] | – Yeah. – In the middle of the ocean? | -对 -在大洋中央 |
[29:51] | What are you getting at, Son? | 你这是要干什么 儿子 |
[29:52] | Nothing, Pop. | 没什么 爸爸 |
[29:53] | Just trying to figure out how it happened, | 我只是想弄清楚事情是怎么发生的 |
[29:54] | – that’s all. – He told you what happened. | -没别的意思 -他已经告诉过你了 |
[29:56] | 300-foot destroyer, | 90多米长的驱逐舰 |
[29:57] | he never saw her coming? | 他竟然完全没看见 |
[29:58] | I didn’t know | 我以前都不知道 |
[29:59] | they were handing out medals for being asleep at the helm. | 原来掌舵时睡着了也是有勋章的啊 |
[30:00] | I wasn’t asleep. | 我没睡着 |
[30:01] | – That’s enough. – Maybe next time you screw up, | -够了 -也许下次你搞砸了 |
[30:03] | they’ll give you the medal of honor, huh? | 他们还会给你来一块荣誉勋章呢 |
[30:04] | Good. Then I’ll have two more than you. | 好啊 那样我就比你多两块了 |
[30:12] | That was disgusting. | 那样太过分了 |
[30:13] | His medal’s a joke. | 他的勋章根本就是个笑话 |
[30:14] | He risked his life. You owe him some respect. | 他差点儿丢了命 你应该给予他一些尊敬 |
[30:18] | His getting decorated only helps this family. | 他被表彰对我们家来说只有好处 |
[30:21] | It doesn’t help me! | 对我可没有 |
[30:23] | I’ve flown 25 missions. | 我执行过25次飞行任务 |
[30:24] | People are gonna think | 别人还以为 |
[30:25] | I spent the war having tea in Cliveden. | 打仗时我一直躲在克里夫登的豪宅里喝茶呢 |
[30:34] | How am I supposed to run for office when… | 弄成这样我还怎么去竞选 |
[30:36] | Let me worry about that. | 这事儿我来操心 |
[30:52] | It wasn’t supposed to be this way. | 本来不应该变成这样的 |
[30:53] | It’s fine. | 没关系 |
[30:54] | You’ll be President no matter what Jack does. | 不管杰克成就如何 总统都会是你 |
[31:00] | Now go and apologize to him. | 现在 去跟他道个歉 |
[31:31] | Mom says, uh, that you’re in a lot of pain. | 妈妈说 你一直疼得很厉害 |
[31:34] | They got you on pills? | 医生给你开药了吗 |
[31:36] | Yeah. I’m okay. | 开了 我没事 |
[31:39] | Okay. | 那就好 |
[31:43] | Look, uh, Jack, | 听着 杰克 |
[31:44] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[31:46] | Okay? | 好吗 |
[31:47] | You deserve that medal as much as anyone. | 和别人一样 那枚勋章你当之无愧 |
[31:51] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[31:53] | Sure. | 没什么 |
[31:56] | I’m going back to England. | 我要回英国去了 |
[31:58] | What for? | 为什么 |
[31:59] | Well, I want to keep flying, that’s why. | 我想继续飞下去 就为这个 |
[32:03] | Joe… | 乔 |
[32:06] | Is a piece of metal hanging from a ribbon | 一块挂在彩带上的勋章 |
[32:07] | really that important to you? | 对你来说真的就那么重要吗 |
[32:09] | Oh, yeah, sure. You can say that. | 对啊 你当然可以这么说 |
[32:10] | You got one. | 你已经有一块了 |
[32:14] | Joe… | 乔 |
[32:15] | Don’t fly anymore. | 别再飞了 |
[32:19] | Hey, I’ll be all right. | 我会没事的 |
[32:23] | It’s bad enough you out-medaled me. | 你勋章比我多已经够糟了 |
[32:24] | You think I’m gonna let you outlive me, too? | 你以为我还会让你活得比我长吗 |
[32:37] | Those union reps in Nevada | 那些内华达工会的代表 |
[32:38] | – are supposed to be getting out the vote. – I-I agree. | -应该在动员选票才对 -我同意 |
[32:41] | I think they should be making more of an effort, | 我认为他们应该做出更多的努力 |
[32:43] | but I-I haven’t seen any indication of that | 但我 我到目前为止还没看到他们 |
[32:45] | up to the present time. | 做出任何这方面的努力 |
[32:46] | Boy, look at you. | 天哪 看看你 |
[32:48] | They’re, uh, they’re ready whenever you are. | 他们已经准备好了 就等你了 |
[32:51] | Great. | 好极了 |
[32:53] | What’s she doing? | 她在干什么 |
[32:54] | She’s gonna do the interview for WBX. | 她正要接受WBX的访谈 |
[32:56] | We’ll send the feed up and down the east coast. | 我们会在整个东海岸无线广播 |
[32:58] | Since when does she get interviewed? | 从什么时候开始轮到她接受采访了 |
[33:00] | Well, Jackie was supposed to do it, but, uh, | 本来应该是杰姬去的 |
[33:02] | Jack said she was tired, | 但是杰克说她累了 |
[33:03] | so she’s gonna rest. | 所以她要去休息一下 |
[33:04] | Oh, she’s tired? | 她累了 |
[33:05] | I’m tired. We’re all tired. | 我也累了 我们大家都累了 |
[33:08] | Oh, no, it’s fine, Dad. Look at her. | 没关系的 爸 看呐 |
[33:09] | – She’s happy to do it. – Yeah, I’ll bet she is. | -她很乐意这么做 -是啊 她当然愿意 |
[33:12] | Tell Jack to get Jackie out of bed, | 让杰克去叫杰姬起床 |
[33:13] | have her put her face on, | 化好妆 |
[33:14] | and dazzle those sons of bitches. | 让那群贱人开开眼界 |
[33:57] | Mrs. Kennedy, could we… | 肯尼迪夫人 能否 |
[33:58] | Over here, please. | 请看这边 |
[33:58] | Just over here, please. | 请看下这里 |
[33:59] | Mrs. Kennedy, sometimes in politics, | 肯尼迪夫人 有时在政界 |
[34:01] | the image of a candidate is quite different from the reality. | 竞选人的形象会与生活中有很大出入 |
[34:06] | Well… that’s the wonderful thing about my husband. | 我得说 这就是我丈夫的魅力所在 |
[34:11] | He’s not interested in image. | 他并不在意所谓的形象问题 |
[34:14] | he’s exactly who he appears to be… | 他就是坚持表现真我 |
[34:17] | a man who… cares about his family | 一个关心家庭 |
[34:21] | and who’s devoted to this country. | 为国家鞠躬尽瘁的男人 |
[34:23] | I think the American people see that. | 我相信美国人民知道这一点 |
[34:26] | They know my husband… | 他们了解我的丈夫 |
[34:27] | I’m sorry, sweetheart. | 我很抱歉 宝贝 |
[34:30] | Ah. I got my makeup done for free. | 没关系 至少我化了个免费的妆 |
[34:35] | Senator Kennedy has tried during the campaign | 肯尼迪参议员在竞选中强调 |
[34:38] | to stress the need to get the country moving again. | 再次给国家注入活力的必要性 |
[34:42] | What do you think that means to the women voters? | 你认为这对女性投票者意味着什么呢 |
[34:48] | And I think women respond to that, | 我认为妇女们会对此表示支持 |
[34:50] | because as mothers, | 因为作为母亲 |
[34:51] | we want the future to look bright for our children. | 我们都希望孩子们有美好的未来 |
[35:00] | How’s Ethel? | 伊索尔还好吗 |
[35:04] | Oh, she’s doing fine, really. | 她没事 真的 |
[35:09] | I appreciate how supportive she’s been on the campaign. | 我很感谢她如此支持这次竞选 |
[35:11] | She’s been great. | 她一直表现得很好 |
[35:13] | So wh-why are you telling me? Tell her. | 你和我说干嘛 跟她说啊 |
[35:19] | You know how Dad is when he wants something. | 你知道爸为了达到目的会有多执着 |
[35:21] | Yeah. Well, that’s just it. | 恩 他就是这样 |
[35:22] | I’m wondering, is he gonna keep getting his way? | 我在想他是不是能一直如意 |
[35:24] | Yes, probably. | 很有可能 |
[35:25] | Really? So how’s that gonna be if you get into the White House, hmm? | 是吗 那你入主白宫后怎么办 |
[35:29] | What are you gonna say, uh, “My fellow Americans, | 难道你要说 “亲爱的美国人民 |
[35:31] | my dad wanted me to invade Russia, | 我爸爸让我入侵俄罗斯 |
[35:33] | therefore, that’s what we shall do”? | 所以就这么办吧” |
[35:34] | The last thing that you wanted to do | 你最不想做的就是 |
[35:36] | was manage this campaign, | 管理这次的竞选活动 |
[35:37] | and here you are. | 可你还是这么做了 |
[35:38] | How’s that any different? | 这有什么区别吗 |
[35:39] | Well, it is different. It is tremendously different. | 当然不一样 差别大了 |
[35:41] | Because after today, I’m done, | 今天过后 我的事情就结束了 |
[35:42] | and he becomes your responsibility, your burden. | 他会成为你的责任 你的包袱 |
[35:46] | And… and I hope that, uh, the two of you have | 我祝福你们一起 |
[35:47] | a-a-a successful presidency together. | 有个成功的总统任期 |
[35:57] | I’m sorry it happened, okay? | 对这一切我很抱歉 好吗 |
[36:05] | It’s fine. You… you should go get ready. | 算了 你该去准备准备了 |
[36:13] | The car’s gonna be here shortly | 车马上就要到了 |
[36:14] | to pick you and Jackie up to vote. | 接你和杰姬去投票 |
[36:17] | I’m about to vote for myself | 我就要为竞选美国总统 |
[36:19] | for president of the United States. | 投自己一票了 |
[36:23] | Who ever thought it’d work out like this? | 有谁曾想过会事情会变成这样 |
[36:27] | It was supposed to be Joe’s day. | 这一切本应该是乔的 |
[36:29] | But it’s not, Jack. It’s yours. | 可惜不是 杰克 是你的 |
[36:34] | You earned it. | 这是你应得的 |
[37:52] | Mrs. Kennedy, I’m Father O’byrne. | 肯尼迪夫人 我是奥拜恩神父 |
[37:55] | Can I help you, Father? | 有什么事吗 神父 |
[37:58] | May we speak with the ambassador? | 我能和大使说几句话吗 |
[38:00] | H-he’s taking a nap. | 他在午休 |
[38:03] | I think you should wake him. | 我认为你该把他叫醒了 |
[38:06] | I-is there something I can help you with? | 有什么我可以帮忙的吗 |
[38:12] | It’s urgent that we speak with him. | 我们必须马上和他谈谈 |
[38:17] | We have news… | 我们有 |
[38:18] | about your son Joe. | 你儿子乔的消息 |
[38:27] | Joe. | 乔 |
[39:13] | Joe, we… we have to pray. | 乔 我们 我们必须要祈祷 |
[39:16] | We have to pray for his soul. | 为他的灵魂祈祷 |
[39:19] | To who? | 向谁祷告 |
[39:22] | A God who let him die? | 让他死去的上帝吗 |
[39:23] | Oh, don’t say that. | 别这么说 |
[39:25] | We have to have faith. | 我们要有信仰 |
[39:28] | No, I-I-I don’t want to hear it, Rose. | 不 罗丝 我不想听这些 |
[39:29] | Everything is part of God’s plan. | 冥冥之中自有安排 |
[39:32] | It’s part of God’s plan to let Joe die… | 那上帝就安排让乔去死吗 |
[39:35] | A boy… | 一个 |
[39:36] | a young boy with his life in front of him?! | 一个有着大好前程的年轻小伙儿 |
[39:40] | Well, it’s not part of my plan! | 这可不是我的安排 |
[39:42] | We… have to have faith. | 我们 要有信仰 |
[39:45] | What? What? | 什么信仰 什么信仰 |
[39:48] | In this? | 这个吗 |
[39:49] | No, Joe, no. | 不要 乔 不要这样 |
[39:50] | You can pray to this thing if you want, | 你要愿意就对着这玩意祈祷 |
[39:52] | Rossie, but not me. | 罗丝 我可不要 |
[39:53] | Never again! Never again! | 绝不 永远不 |
[39:56] | Please, Joe. Please. | 别这样 乔 拜托 |
[39:58] | Dad. What’s going on? | 爸爸 出什么事了 |
[40:11] | Mom? | 妈 |
[40:13] | What is it? What… what happened? | 怎么了 出什么事了 |
[40:22] | Your brother… | 你哥哥 |
[40:27] | Joe is dead. | 乔 他死了 |
[40:31] | We have to pray for him. | 我们必须为他祈祷 |
[41:23] | It’s up to you now, Jack. | 重担都落到你身上了 杰克 |
[41:29] | You know that, don’t you? | 你知道的 对吧 |
[41:33] | To do what? | 做什么呢 |
[41:36] | Carry on for your brother. | 继续你哥哥未竟的事业 |
[41:40] | After the war, you’ll run for Congress | 战争结束以后 你将竞选国会议员 |
[41:42] | and take up the seat that he would’ve had. | 代替他取得一席之地 |
[41:46] | I can’t. I can’t. | 不 我不行的 |
[41:48] | Yes, you can. | 你可以的 |
[41:52] | I can’t do it. | 我做不到 |
[41:54] | I’m… I’m not Joe. | 我 我不是乔 |
[41:57] | You’ll do it, Jack… | 你会这么做的 杰克 |
[41:59] | for him… | 为了他 |
[42:02] | for all of us. | 也为了我们大家 |