时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | Oh. Morning. | 早安 |
[00:08] | Morning. | 早安 |
[00:12] | Don’t miss the trade agreement. Page three. | 别错过贸易协定 第三版 |
[00:14] | It’s finally happening. | 终于要签署了 |
[00:26] | More than three of you. | 多于三个人 |
[00:27] | It’s not bad news. | 不是坏消息 |
[00:28] | We just have a few things to discuss with you. | 我们只是想和你讨论几件事 |
[00:31] | For your trip to Myanmar. | 是关于你的缅甸之行的 |
[00:32] | You’re only the third Secretary of State | 你知道 你是五十年来 |
[00:34] | to visit in 50 years, you know. | 第三位出访缅甸的国务卿 |
[00:35] | And the first who gets to sign the Pacific Rim Trade Agreement. | 还是第一个签署环太平洋贸易协定的 |
[00:38] | Boom. | 给力 |
[00:39] | I’m just experimenting with that. | 我在尝试使用这个词 |
[00:41] | “Boom” is over, man. You missed it. | 给力这词过时了 哥们 你错过了 |
[00:42] | Daisy, what’s up with page three? | 黛西 第三版是怎么回事 |
[00:44] | Why isn’t it bigger news than that? | 怎么没上头条呢 |
[00:45] | Believe me, when you sign the agreement, | 相信我 等你签署时 |
[00:47] | it’ll be front page, above the fold. | 肯定上头条 特大头条 |
[00:49] | There is just one small fly in the ointment. | 但汤里有颗小老鼠屎 |
[00:52] | I can’t believe I kicked that football. | 我真不敢相信我被骗了 |
[00:54] | The meet and greet at the elevator– | 每次你们在电梯口等着我 |
[00:55] | always bad news. | 都是坏消息 |
[00:57] | Who’s the fly? | 谁是这颗老鼠屎 |
[00:58] | Ambassador Arlen Maxwell. | 阿伦·麦克斯维尔大使 |
[01:00] | – In my office? – No, in Myanmar. | -在我办公室 -不 在缅甸 |
[01:01] | He’s called a few times today. | 他今天打了好几次电话 |
[01:03] | He has some ethical concerns about the trade agreement. | 他对贸易协定有伦理方面的顾虑 |
[01:06] | He does? | 真的吗 |
[01:07] | Yes. The U.S. Ambassador to Myanmar, | -对 -美国驻缅甸大使 |
[01:10] | whose job it is to represent U.S. interests in Myanmar, | 本该在缅甸代表维护美国利益 |
[01:13] | has some ethical concerns about the landmark trade agreement. | 对这份历史性的贸易协定有伦理方面的顾虑 |
[01:17] | Upon which everyone has agreed. | 各国都同意这份协定啊 |
[01:19] | You know, I’ve spoken to him a few times. | 我跟他谈了几次 |
[01:21] | He seems reasonable enough. | 他看上去还算讲道理 |
[01:23] | What’s going on? | 到底怎么回事 |
[01:24] | I think the ambassador might have | 我觉得大使似乎是得了 |
[01:25] | something referred to as clientitis. | 外交官综合症 |
[01:28] | He’s identifying closely | 他开始觉得自己与当地文化 |
[01:30] | with the culture and its people. | 和人民息息相关 |
[01:31] | Let’s nip it in the bud, and… | 赶紧把这消灭在萌芽期 |
[01:34] | Blake, get me the ambassador, will you? | 布莱克 帮我接通大使好吗 |
[01:36] | So, is there anything else that I should know? | 还有我需要知道的吗 |
[01:39] | Yes. He and President Dalton have been friends since college. | 有 他和道尔顿总统从大学起就是好友 |
[01:44] | Maxwell inherited a large sum of money | 麦克斯维尔继承了一大笔钱 |
[01:47] | and invested it in some high-risk enterprises. | 全投在高风险项目上了 |
[01:50] | One of them paid off. | 有个项目成功了 |
[01:51] | A very deep gold mine in Argentina. | 在阿根廷发现了超大金矿 |
[01:54] | Now, word is, he got lucky. | 都说是他走了大运了 |
[01:55] | His wife divorced him two years ago. | 他妻子两年前跟他离婚了 |
[01:58] | No prenup. Talk about a very deep gold mine. | 没有婚前协定 可是好大一个金矿呢 |
[02:01] | So when the ambassadorship came up, | 所以大使职位空缺时 |
[02:02] | he called his old friend the president | 他给老朋友总统打了个电话 |
[02:04] | and asked to be sent to Myanmar. | 要求担当驻缅甸大使 |
[02:06] | Maybe for a change of scenery? | 是为了换个环境吗 |
[02:07] | I’m guessing to escape the tabloids. | 我猜是为了逃避八卦小报 |
[02:09] | Their divorce was a splashy story. | 他们的离婚可被炒翻天了 |
[02:11] | To be fair to the president, | 不过公平地说 |
[02:14] | a number of candidates turned down the post. | 很多候选者都拒绝接受职位 |
[02:16] | Myanmar is a very poor country a long way from anything. | 缅甸这个国家贫穷 还与世隔绝 |
[02:19] | Unless you’re a fan of temples. | 除非你喜欢寺庙 |
[02:20] | Look, there’s no way | 听着 不能让这个乡巴佬 |
[02:21] | this rube is gonna mess up the trade agreement. | 破坏了贸易协定 |
[02:23] | I had to rewrite an entire Billy Joel song | 我改写了一整首比利·乔的歌 |
[02:25] | just to make it happen. | 才换来这个协定 |
[02:26] | – Yeah. – And we had to sing it. | -可不 -我们还不得不唱 |
[02:27] | Don’t you mean you got to sing it? | 你是想说还轮到你唱吧 |
[02:29] | Don’t worry, Matt. | 别担心 马特 |
[02:29] | It won’t be for naught. | 这不是闹着玩的 |
[02:31] | This agreement is going to go through. | 协定会被签署的 |
[02:32] | – Ambassador Maxwell. – Great. | -麦克斯维尔在线上 -很好 |
[02:34] | Thanks, everybody. | 谢谢大家 |
[02:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:38] | Ambassador, I’m looking forward | 大使先生 我很期待 |
[02:39] | to meeting you in person in the next couple of days. | 接下来几天与你亲自会面 |
[02:41] | And I you, Madam Secretary. | 我也是 国务卿女士 |
[02:45] | Uh, now, may I ask, have you… | 我能问问你… |
[02:47] | have you read, uh, this report | 你看了这份你们国务院 |
[02:49] | put out by your State Department? | 发布的报告吗 |
[02:50] | Well, I-I have to be honest with you. | 我实话跟你说吧 |
[02:53] | The State Department puts out thousands of documents, | 国务院每天都会发布 |
[02:57] | feels like every day. | 上千份文件 |
[02:58] | Well, this is called | 这份报告题为 |
[02:59] | The World in 2030, and I just… | 《2030世界格局》 我只是… |
[03:02] | I have to tell you, it’s not a pretty world, | 我得告诉你 那世界格局可不怎么样 |
[03:05] | particularly for Myanmar, after we sign this trade agreement. | 尤其是签署协定后的缅甸 |
[03:08] | What in particular about the trade agreement bothers you? | 你觉得贸易协定中哪条最让你不安 |
[03:11] | Elimination of tariffs on hydropower turbines. | 取消水电涡轮机的关税 |
[03:15] | Let’s start there. | 从这说起吧 |
[03:15] | Yes. So that hydroelectric dams can be built, | 好 这样就可以修建水电大坝 |
[03:19] | leading to the modernization of Myanmar’s power grid. | 让缅甸的电网现代化 |
[03:21] | At the cost of displacing whole villages of people. | 为此整个村落的居民都要搬迁 |
[03:26] | People who have been farmers all their lives. | 这些人一辈子务农 |
[03:29] | It’s… it is all right in here. | 这份报告都写了 |
[03:31] | But with the modernization to the cities, industry can thrive. | 但城市现代化之后 工业可以发展 |
[03:36] | And it will help close the enormous wealth gap | 还可以缩小巨大的财富差距 |
[03:39] | and, in turn, raise the standard of living for everyone. | 进而提高所有人的生活水平 |
[03:43] | We’re talking about generations of people | 我们说的 |
[03:45] | who have only lived close to the land. | 可是世代靠种地吃饭的人们 |
[03:48] | Ambassador Maxwell, I understand. | 麦克斯维尔大使 我明白你的意思 |
[03:50] | This agreement, it isn’t perfect, | 这份协定并不完美 |
[03:53] | but at the end of the day, | 但是说到底 |
[03:54] | the positive effects clearly outweighed the negative. | 利明显大于弊 |
[03:58] | Well, I can tell you, there is a large segment of people | 我可以告诉你 住在这的很多人 |
[04:02] | who live here who do not agree. | 并不同意这一观点 |
[04:04] | Even President Shwe, even he has concerns. | 包括瑞总统 他也有保留意见 |
[04:06] | Concerns that have been resolved through hours of conversation | 他的担忧已经通过长期对话 |
[04:10] | and reviewing the data. | 和数据研究被解决了 |
[04:13] | President Shwe got on board for a very good reason. | 瑞总统支持协定是有原因的 |
[04:16] | If Conrad would call me back… | 如果康拉德能回我电话的话 |
[04:17] | President Dalton has entrusted me with this agreement, | 道尔顿总统派我负责协定事宜 |
[04:20] | but I assure you that he is fully committed to it. | 但我向你保证 他完全支持这份协定 |
[04:24] | And I promise you that this | 我也想你保证 |
[04:26] | is an agreement that you can represent | 你可以自豪地把这份协定 |
[04:28] | to the people of Myanmar proudly. | 呈现给缅甸人民 |
[04:31] | See you then. | 到时候见 |
[04:33] | I don’t know how we missed this. | 我们怎么没看到这个呢 |
[04:35] | We didn’t. | 我们看到了 |
[04:36] | I read it when it came out. | 刚印出来我就看了 |
[04:38] | But probably just before I read the joint CIA and FBI projection | 但很可能是在我看中情局和联调局 |
[04:41] | of the ten most imminent terrorist attacks on U.S. Soil. | 对十大最有可能在美国本土发生的恐怖袭击预测前 |
[04:45] | I do have to prioritize | 我不得不把各种世界末日文件 |
[04:46] | my end of the world documents, you know. | 排出个轻重缓急 |
[04:48] | It’s somebody’s job in every department | 每个部门都得有人 |
[04:50] | to game out worst-case scenarios. | 想出最坏的局势是什么 |
[04:52] | It’s not supposed to be taken as hard science. | 这本不是板上钉钉的 |
[04:54] | Water is featured as a megatrend starting on page 380. | 从第380页开始水的问题成了主题 |
[04:58] | See, that’s good. Write that down. | 不错 把这记下来 |
[05:01] | We just… we just need to remind the ambassador | 我们只需要提醒大使 |
[05:04] | of the counterpoints. | 反面论点都是什么 |
[05:05] | Why are we humoring this guy? | 我们为何要把他当回事 |
[05:06] | Because these big trade agreements are very fragile | 因为大型贸易协定都很脆弱 |
[05:09] | when you have so many countries involved. | 这么多国家都参与其中 |
[05:10] | And the last thing we need is a skittish ambassador. | 我们最不需要的就是一个爱激动的大使 |
[05:14] | If his concerns get out and they’re taken as a sign | 如果他的担心被人知道了 |
[05:16] | that the United States has doubts, | 会被人以为美国对此有疑义 |
[05:18] | it could make others reevaluate, | 会导致其他国家也重新考虑 |
[05:19] | not to mention embarrass the hell out of us. | 更别说会让我们丢人丢到家了 |
[05:21] | No kidding. | 可不是闹着玩的 |
[05:22] | “2030, nearly half the world’s population | “2030年 近一半的人 |
[05:25] | will live in areas of severe water stress.” | 都将生活在严重缺水地区” |
[05:27] | The trade agreement is going to allow us to send in scientists | 这份贸易协定会允许我们派科学家 |
[05:30] | to help shore up erosion. | 帮助减缓水土流失 |
[05:32] | It’s all in the speech I wrote for the ceremony. | 这都在我为仪式写的讲话稿里 |
[05:34] | It’s solid. | 论据充足 |
[05:35] | We just need talking points | 我们只需要重点 |
[05:37] | to ease the ambassador’s mind. | 让大使放宽心 |
[05:38] | Sure. No problem. | 好 没问题 |
[05:40] | I love that answer. | 我喜欢这个回答 |
[05:41] | Spider monkeys will be extinct? | 蜘蛛猴会灭绝 |
[05:43] | Somebody take that away from Blake. | 谁把那份报告从布莱克手里拿开 |
[05:48] | Hi, it’s me. | 喂 是我 |
[05:49] | Uh, I called before, but I didn’t leave a message. | 我之前打过电话 但是没留言 |
[05:52] | Um, maybe you didn’t recognize the number. | 也许你没认出这个号码 |
[05:55] | So, it looks like | 我似乎很快 |
[05:57] | I’m going to be in your neck of the woods… soon. | 就会到你那边去了 |
[06:00] | And, um, it would be very nice to see you. | 要是能见见你就好了 |
[06:04] | Anyway, I’ll be there, uh, day after tomorrow. | 不管怎样 我后天到 |
[06:09] | And… | 还有 |
[06:12] | I-I look forward to seeing you. | 我很期待能见到你 |
[06:15] | Okay. Um… bye. | 好吧 再见 |
[06:23] | Damn it. | 我勒个去 |
[06:25] | Oh, Madam Secretary! | 国务卿女士 |
[06:27] | Listen, I’m just heading home. | 我要先回家 |
[06:28] | I need those, uh, talking points e-mailed to me. | 我需要你把那些重点邮件给我 |
[06:30] | But, um, or Jay can bring them tomorrow. | 或者可以让杰明天带过来 |
[06:32] | Uh, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about. | 我正想和你说这件事 |
[06:34] | I’ll be joining you on your trip to Myanmar instead of Jay. | 我会代替杰和你一起去缅甸 |
[06:37] | Oh. Okay. But everything all right? | 好 没出什么事吧 |
[06:40] | Oh, it’s fine. | 一切都好 |
[06:41] | I just thought he could use a break from all the traveling. | 我就觉得他可以休息下 别总出差 |
[06:44] | The baby’s teething– incisors. It’s painful. | 他家宝宝正长牙呢 大牙 可疼了 |
[06:47] | Yeah, those are the tough ones. | 那可最难搞了 |
[06:48] | What’s the real reason? | 真正的原因是什么 |
[06:51] | I recently found out that my son | 我最近发现我儿子 |
[06:54] | has been living in Myanmar for the last few months. | 过去几个月里一直住在缅甸 |
[06:56] | Your son? | 你儿子 |
[06:57] | From a very brief affair when I was | 我跟一个舞团在欧洲巡演时 |
[06:59] | touring Europe with a dance troupe. | 一段简短的爱情的结晶 |
[07:01] | Dance troupe? | 舞团 |
[07:02] | Before law school. | 上法学院前 |
[07:04] | Anyway, he quit Juilliard years ago | 不管怎样 他几年前从茱莉亚学院退学了 |
[07:07] | and has been traveling around | 一直在四处游历 |
[07:08] | and wound up in Myanmar, as luck would have it. | 不知什么运气让他最后到了缅甸 |
[07:12] | You know, you and I really should have | 你知道吗 你我真该找个时间 |
[07:14] | gone out for a drink at some point. | 一起出去喝杯酒 |
[07:16] | I like to keep my private life private, ma’am. | 我喜欢保持我个人生活的隐私 女士 |
[07:19] | You’ve done a superb job. | 你这做得超成功 |
[07:21] | Um, I’m glad you’re coming. | 我很高兴你跟我一起去 |
[07:22] | That’ll be great, | 这很好 |
[07:23] | and I look forward to maybe meeting your son. | 我希望或许和你儿子见一面 |
[07:25] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:26] | Be honored to introduce you to him if I can coax him out. | 如果我能把他骗出来 我很荣幸能把你介绍给他 |
[07:30] | He’s an artist, so he’s anti everything we stand for. | 他是个艺术家 反对我们支持的一切 |
[07:35] | I’ve got a budding one of those myself. | 我家也有个要变成这样的孩子 |
[07:39] | See you tomorrow, Madam Secretary. | 明天见 国务卿女士 |
[07:44] | Okay. | 好 |
[07:47] | I am off to the treaty signing in Myanmar. | 我要去缅甸签订协定了 |
[07:50] | – Okay. – Cool. | -好 -酷 |
[07:51] | Sounds good. | 听着不错 |
[07:52] | What’s the time difference there? | 时差多少 |
[07:54] | 11 and a half hours. | 十一个半小时 |
[07:57] | Guess everybody’s over the gig, huh? | 大家已经都不把这当大事了 是吧 |
[08:00] | Kind of got it down by now, Mom. | 到现在基本习惯了 老妈 |
[08:02] | Obviously. Jason isn’t even here. | 明显这样 杰森根本都不在这 |
[08:05] | He’s getting donuts with the dudes. | 他跟哥们儿一起吃甜甜圈去了 |
[08:07] | It’s their jam. | 他们靠此鬼混 |
[08:08] | If we were upset, then you would feel torn | 如果我们不开心 你就在你的家庭 |
[08:10] | between your family and your career, | 和事业间进退两难 |
[08:11] | and is that what you really want? | 你真想那样吗 |
[08:15] | Is there something in the middle? | 就没有个中间点吗 |
[08:17] | Just go and have another wonderful history-making trip | 赶紧去这次超赞的书写历史之旅吧 |
[08:19] | and come home soon. | 尽早回家 |
[08:21] | Oh, security. | 是安保 |
[08:22] | Hey, Kevin. What’s up? | 你好 凯文 什么事 |
[08:24] | Bye. Bye. | -再见 -再见 |
[08:25] | Yeah, okay. Yeah, be right there. | 好 马上就到 |
[08:28] | Our neighbor Ted is outside. | 我们邻居泰德在外面 |
[08:30] | He wants to see us. | 他想见我们 |
[08:31] | It’s a little late for the welcome basket. | 送欢迎果篮是不是有点晚了 |
[08:33] | Never too late for a welcome. | 什么时候欢迎都不算晚 |
[08:35] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[08:36] | You’re so much nicer than I am. | 你可比我友善多了 |
[08:37] | Yes, I am. | 那可不 |
[08:41] | Hello, Ted. | 你好 泰德 |
[08:42] | Come on in. | 请进 |
[08:42] | Sorry about the whole security thing. Thanks, guys. | 不好意思让安保麻烦你了 谢谢你们 |
[08:45] | Can I get you a cup of coffee? | 我能给你倒杯咖啡吗 |
[08:46] | I’m here on neighborhood business. | 我是为了小区的事来的 |
[08:47] | Oh. Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:50] | Your residence has violated | 你们家违反了很多 |
[08:51] | a number of our homeowners’ association bylaws, | 我们业主协会的规定 |
[08:54] | such as your security taking up much of our street parking | 比如你们的安保人员全天24小时 |
[08:56] | 24 hours a day, | 都占了我们的街边停车位 |
[08:58] | the removal of trash cans without permission, | 未经允许就移动垃圾桶 |
[09:00] | and the unsightly cones that are placed in the street, | 还有街上摆的那些难看的锥型路标 |
[09:02] | to name a few. | 先说这几个 |
[09:04] | It’s all in the complaint, but the worst is | 这些我们意见信里都写了 但最糟的是 |
[09:06] | Madam Secretary’s SUV, | 国务卿女士的车 |
[09:07] | which is left running 24 hours a day, | 24小时都不熄火 |
[09:09] | adding unwanted air and noise pollution. | 增加了很多空气和噪声污染 |
[09:12] | Well, that’s a hell of an icebreaker, Ted. | 你还真会打破僵局啊 泰德 |
[09:14] | Why don’t you come in? I’m sure it’s our fault | 要不你进来吧 没能更多地了解你们 |
[09:16] | for not getting to know you guys. | 肯定都是我们的错 |
[09:17] | We kind of hit the ground running. | 我们一来就忙得马不停蹄 |
[09:19] | We keep talking about having a dinner party. | 我们一直都说请大家过来吃晚饭 |
[09:21] | We do. We talk about that. | 是啊 我们一直说来着 |
[09:22] | I have to get to work. | 我得去上班了 |
[09:23] | We’re having a meeting on Saturday to vote | 我们周六要开会 |
[09:26] | on whether or not we need to explore our legal options | 投票看我们是否要通过法律途径 |
[09:28] | with regard to these complaints. | 解决这些问题 |
[09:29] | You’re welcome to attend. | 欢迎你们来参加 |
[09:30] | You want us to move? | 你想让我们搬家 |
[09:32] | Seriously? | 说真的吗 |
[09:33] | I’m sure they’re not saying that. | 我确定他们没这么说 |
[09:35] | Henry, they’re saying that. | 亨利 他们说了 |
[09:36] | Right here. | 就在这儿 |
[09:37] | It’s-it’s one of the options we’ve listed. | 那是我们提出的选项之一 |
[09:40] | Well, I am sure that you’ll find that the Fair Housing Act | 我相信公平住房法 |
[09:43] | won’t support those options. | 是不会支持这些选项的 |
[09:44] | I’ll tell you what, Ted. | 这样吧 泰德 |
[09:46] | Why don’t we host the meeting here | 不如周六的会 |
[09:48] | at our house on Saturday? | 就在我家开 |
[09:49] | We can have brunch and get to know everybody, | 我们一起吃个早午餐 和大家熟悉一下 |
[09:51] | work everything out. | 想想解决办法 |
[09:52] | We’re not looking for a party, Mr. McCord. | 我们不是来办派对的 麦考德先生 |
[09:54] | Doctor. | 博士 |
[09:55] | Dr. McCord. | 麦考德博士 |
[09:55] | What party? It’s eggs and mimosas and solving some problems. | 谁说是派对 就是吃吃喝喝解决点小问题嘛 |
[10:00] | All right. | 好吧 |
[10:01] | I’ll send out an e-mail to the members. | 我会给大家发电子邮件 |
[10:03] | Great. | 太好了 |
[10:07] | How could they not like us? | 他们怎么会讨厌我们呢 |
[10:09] | People like us. | 人们都喜欢我们的 |
[10:10] | Do you remember our old neighborhood? | 还记得过去那个社区吗 |
[10:12] | They called us the Merry McCords. | 他们都管我们叫欢乐的麦考德一家呢 |
[10:14] | Okay, I hated it. | 好吧 当时我很烦这个称呼 |
[10:16] | But now I miss it. | 但我现在开始想念它了 |
[10:16] | I mean, we’re likeable! | 我是说 我们是讨人喜欢的吧 |
[10:26] | So you’ll have about an hour with | 见面会前你和 |
[10:27] | Ambassador Maxwell before the reception. | 麦克斯维尔大使有一小时时间 |
[10:30] | And just a reminder about protocol here. | 提醒一下当地习惯 |
[10:32] | Men and women do not kiss cheeks in greeting. | 这里异性见面是不做亲面礼的 |
[10:35] | No touching of the heads or feet. | 不能碰对方的头部 脚部 |
[10:38] | And in the presence of the elderly, don’t spit. | 而且在长辈面前 不要吐痰 |
[10:43] | I can’t make any promises. | 这我可不能保证 |
[10:45] | I just can’t. I… | 实在无法做到 |
[10:50] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[10:52] | Some kind of demonstration, ma’am. | 好像在示威抗议 国务卿 |
[10:53] | I’ll call Ambassador Maxwell and find out. | 我联系麦克斯维尔大使问问 |
[10:56] | Wait. | 等等 |
[10:59] | Maybe we can just wave him over. | 好像直接叫过来都行 |
[11:02] | Oh, dear God. | 天哪 |
[11:05] | Didn’t he have hair the other day? | 那天见他他还有头发呢吧 |
[11:07] | Maybe we can keep this from the Myanmar authorities. | 也许这件事不用让缅甸当权方知道 |
[11:13] | Or not. | 来不及了 |
[11:38] | The Arlen Maxwell I talked to the other day | 我那天见的阿伦·麦克斯维尔 |
[11:40] | didn’t look like that. | 和他太不像了 |
[11:41] | What happened? | 到底怎么回事 |
[11:43] | He periodically wears the robes. | 他只是有时会穿袍子 |
[11:45] | The shaved head is new. | 头发是新剃的 |
[11:47] | He had his teacher do it this morning. | 今天早上他的师父为他剃度的 |
[11:51] | His teacher? | 师父 |
[11:52] | Yes. Ashin Tun. | 是的 阿申·吞 |
[11:53] | He’s a Buddhist monk. | 他是个和尚 |
[11:55] | Ambassador Maxwell converted to Theravada Buddhism | 麦克斯维尔大使六个月前皈依了 |
[11:58] | about six months ago? | 小乘佛教 |
[11:59] | Well, his religion is his own business, | 他的信仰是他自己的事 |
[12:01] | but inciting a demonstration | 但是鼓动一场反对 |
[12:03] | against his own country’s policies is… | 他自己国家的政策的示威抗议 |
[12:06] | I want to say insane, I do. | 我真的很想说他疯了 |
[12:08] | You have to understand, | 您要理解 |
[12:09] | Ambassador Maxwell didn’t come here with the idea | 麦克斯维尔大使来这里的目的 |
[12:11] | to live a cushy life in the embassy. | 并非安享舒适的大使生活 |
[12:14] | He wanted to immerse himself in local life and-and culture. | 他想让自己融入当地生活和文化 |
[12:18] | He’s a man of the people. | 他很亲民 |
[12:19] | He’s an ambassador for the American people. | 他是美国人民的大使 |
[12:22] | Well, I think he’s come to think | 我想他现在是 |
[12:23] | of the Myanmar people as his people. | 把缅甸人民看作自己的人民了 |
[12:25] | Well, I think he should rethink that. | 我觉得他需要再考虑一下这点 |
[12:27] | He’s meditating. | 他正在冥想 |
[12:28] | Is he? | 是嘛 |
[12:30] | Mr. Ambassador? | 大使先生 |
[12:32] | Elizabeth McCord. | 我是伊丽莎白·麦考德 |
[12:34] | Secretary of State. | 国务卿 |
[12:35] | I’m so sorry to intrude on your downtime. | 抱歉打扰了你的冥想 |
[12:42] | Arlen, do you think I haven’t taken a yoga class? | 阿伦 你以为我没上过瑜伽课吗 |
[12:44] | I know you can hear me. | 我知道你能听到我说话 |
[12:49] | Madam Secretary, I’m happy to meet you. | 国务卿女士 很高兴见到你 |
[12:53] | What were you thinking? | 你怎么想的啊 |
[12:55] | Inciting a demonstration | 鼓动示威游行 |
[12:57] | against the very work you were appointed to support? | 反对的就是你被指派来完成的任务 |
[13:00] | I tried to share my concerns with you. | 我跟你说过了我的担忧 |
[13:03] | And when I didn’t embrace them, | 因为我没接受 |
[13:04] | your next step was to humiliate the president? | 你的下一步对策就是侮辱总统吗 |
[13:07] | The right response to injustice is civil disobedience. | 对于不公平的正确回应就是文明抵抗 |
[13:11] | I came fully prepared | 我做了充分准备而来 |
[13:14] | to have a reasonable discussion with you, | 想跟你理智地讨论这个问题 |
[13:16] | but since your new beliefs don’t seem to include | 但既然你的新信仰好像不太赞成 |
[13:19] | reasonable discussion, I am telling you | 理智讨论 我现在就告诉你 |
[13:22] | that you are officially removed from your post. | 你已经被正式开除了 |
[13:25] | So when you get released from here, | 所以当你被释放后 |
[13:26] | you can pack your bags and head off to the monastery. | 就可以收拾行李直接去寺庙报道了 |
[13:29] | Good day. | 再见 |
[13:30] | All is as it should be. | 这样最好 |
[13:31] | Yeah, well, we’ll see about that. | 是嘛 我们走着瞧 |
[13:35] | Yes, Mr. President, I am as surprised as… | 是的 总统先生 我也很惊讶 |
[13:40] | Well, I-I spoke with an aide | 我和瑞总统 |
[13:42] | from President Shwe’s office… | 办公室的人谈了 |
[13:44] | …and there has been no change in schedule. | 行程没有改动 |
[13:45] | As soon as the agreement is signed, I’ll call. | 协议一达成 我立刻告知您 |
[13:50] | Sir, it is a good deal. | 先生 这个协议很有利 |
[13:54] | In all fairness, sir, I-I don’t think anyone could have | 说实话 先生 我不认为有人能 |
[13:58] | anticipated a U.S. ambassador leading a demonstration | 预料到一位美国大使会鼓动示威抗议 |
[14:01] | against his own country. | 反对他自己的国家 |
[14:02] | With that said, | 话虽如此 |
[14:03] | I’m gonna do everything I can to… | 我将尽我一切能力 |
[14:07] | Sir? Sir? | 先生 先生 |
[14:11] | The president hung up on me. | 总统挂了我电话 |
[14:12] | I’m sure he doesn’t blame you. | 他肯定不是在怪你 |
[14:13] | No, no, he does. | 不 他怪的就是我 |
[14:16] | I need to get back to the embassy | 我得赶紧回大使馆 |
[14:17] | and check in with the foreign ministers, | 和外交部长见面 |
[14:19] | make sure that the agreement still stands. | 确保协议有效 |
[14:22] | We have… three hours until the signing. | 离签字仪式就剩三小时了 |
[14:24] | Matt and Daisy are working on | 马特和戴西正在写 |
[14:26] | a boilerplate press release. | 新闻发布稿 |
[14:28] | Something about the ambassador | 大概就是说大使 |
[14:29] | – wanting to spend more time with his family. – Good. | -想多花些时间陪陪家人 -好 |
[14:31] | And for once, we can be thankful for a government | 而且第一次 我们应该感谢一个 |
[14:34] | that controls the media. | 控制着媒体的政府 |
[14:35] | There won’t be any press about the demonstration. | 不会有关于示威抗议的报道 |
[14:40] | Have you read this thing? | 你看过这个了吗 |
[14:42] | Enough to get the gist of it. Why? | 了解了个大概 怎么了 |
[14:45] | I was up all night. | 我一晚没睡 |
[14:47] | Wait. You read the whole thing? | 等等 你全读了一遍啊 |
[14:49] | It’s like a horror film. | 简直像恐怖电影 |
[14:50] | Bioterror weaponry, | 生化武器 |
[14:52] | diseases that jump from animals to humans, | 从动物传染到人类的病毒 |
[14:54] | accelerated climate change, | 气候变化加速 |
[14:56] | demon robots who will take over the world. | 邪恶机器人控制世界 |
[14:58] | Well, a demon robot is welcome to take over my world | 只要能给我打扫厕所 整理杂物 |
[15:01] | as long as he cleans my bathroom and organizes my stuff. | 我非常欢迎恶魔机器人控制我的世界 |
[15:04] | You know, I’m gonna get a 3-D printer, | 我去搞一台3D打印机 |
[15:05] | use it to make another 3-D printer, | 再用它做一台3D打印机 |
[15:06] | then return the first one. I’m no fool. | 再把第一台还回去 我不傻 |
[15:08] | And forget about bombs. | 别再想炸弹的事了 |
[15:09] | Okay? ‘Cause hacking is gonna be the new bomb. | 好吗 因为黑客技术将成为新的炸弹 |
[15:11] | Because banks won’t be able to keep up with all | 因为银行根本赶不上 |
[15:13] | the new hacking techniques. | 新黑客技术的发展 |
[15:13] | Which means we’ll have to pay in cash for everything. | 这意味着买任何东西都得付现金 |
[15:15] | Which means piles and piles of cash in every home. | 每家每户将堆放成堆的货币 |
[15:18] | Which means guns in every home. | 每家每户都得备枪 |
[15:19] | Which means shootouts in the middle of the street. | 大街小巷都会有人持枪械斗 |
[15:20] | It’s gonna be like the Wild West out there! | 就好像过去荒蛮的西部那样 |
[15:23] | Dude. | 伙计 |
[15:24] | These doom and gloom predictions happen all the time. | 这种凄惨的预测到处都有 |
[15:27] | You can’t lose any sleep over it. | 不要为了这些而睡不着觉 |
[15:28] | I suggest you take a second look at that thing. | 建议你花点时间重新审视一下那些 |
[15:31] | Look, I’ll just go with head in the sand. | 我打算把脑袋埋在沙子里 |
[15:33] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[15:34] | All right, just… | 好吧 但是… |
[15:36] | just hope that sand isn’t in Miami. | 希望不是迈阿密的沙子 |
[15:38] | Because it’ll all be underwater. | 不然你的头就得埋进水里了 |
[15:53] | Oh, hello. | 你好 |
[15:54] | Um, I’m not sure if I have the right address. | 我不知道我的地址是否正确 |
[15:58] | You are Roman’s mother? | 你是罗曼的妈妈吗 |
[16:01] | I’m Shindy. | 我是辛迪 |
[16:03] | I’m Nadine. | 我是纳丁 |
[16:05] | Is my son here? | 我儿子在这里吗 |
[16:07] | I am sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[16:09] | He had band practice. | 他去乐队排练了 |
[16:11] | Are you his girlfriend? | 你是他女朋友吗 |
[16:13] | I am. | 是的 |
[16:14] | We’ve been together for six months. | 我们在一起六个月了 |
[16:17] | Oh, I see. | 原来是这样 |
[16:19] | And you’re from here? | 你是本地人吗 |
[16:20] | Oh, of course, you’re from here. | 当然了 你肯定是 |
[16:23] | Unless you’re not from here. | 除非你不是 |
[16:24] | I’m sorry, I’m very sorry. | 真抱歉 |
[16:26] | I don’t mean to assume. | 我不是故意要猜的 |
[16:27] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[16:29] | I was born and raised here. | 我在这里出生长大的 |
[16:33] | How is he? | 他怎么样 |
[16:35] | Uh, he’s fine. | 挺好的 |
[16:37] | I’ll tell him you stopped by. | 我会告诉他你来过 |
[16:40] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:43] | Would you please give him this? | 你能把这个给他吗 |
[16:44] | It’s all the information of where I’m staying. | 是我的信息 |
[16:48] | My hotel, all the numbers where he can reach me. | 我住的旅馆 所有能联系到我的电话 |
[16:51] | I have to leave tomorrow. | 我明天就得走了 |
[16:54] | I would love to see him. | 很想见见他 |
[16:55] | I’ll tell him. | 我会告诉他的 |
[16:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:59] | It’s lovely to have met you. | 见到你很高兴 |
[17:01] | You, too. | 我也是 |
[17:10] | She seems nice. | 她看上去人不错 |
[17:19] | Mr. President, thank you for seeing me. | 总统先生 谢谢您能见我 |
[17:21] | It was good of you to come to say good-bye. | 你能来说再见真是件好事 |
[17:23] | Of course, of course. | 当然 |
[17:25] | My being here has been an honor. | 我也很荣幸能来这里 |
[17:28] | It’s changed my life. | 这改变了我的生活 |
[17:32] | I have to tell you, Mr. President, | 我得告诉您 总统先生 |
[17:34] | you cannot sign that trade agreement. | 您不能签署那个贸易协定 |
[17:36] | Mr. Maxwell, may I point out to you | 麦克斯维尔先生 我是否需要提醒你 |
[17:38] | that 12 countries have sent heads of state | 两个小时内 将有12个国家首脑 |
[17:40] | to sign this agreement in two hours. | 来此处签署这个贸易协定 |
[17:42] | That may be in their best interest. | 那或许是他们的最佳利益 |
[17:44] | But I can tell you this agreement | 但我要告诉你 这个协定 |
[17:47] | is not in Myanmar’s best interest. | 不符合缅甸的最佳利益 |
[17:50] | Even Secretary McCord expressed her doubts about it. | 麦考德国务卿也是这样认为 |
[17:53] | Really? With me, she was quite steadfast. | 是吗 在我这边她立场挺坚定的 |
[17:56] | This is a predominantly Buddhist country. | 这是一个以佛教文化为主导的国家 |
[17:59] | The Noble Truths should be your guide | 在计划未来的时候 |
[18:01] | as you plan for the future. | 必须要以四圣谛作为引导 |
[18:02] | Let me remind you that one of those truths is | 让我来提醒你 四圣谛其中一条 |
[18:05] | “Don’t struggle to get what you want, | “别去争夺你想要的 |
[18:07] | but modify your wanting.” | “改变你的愿望” |
[18:10] | I wish you a safe trip home to your country. | 预祝你能安全回到你的国家去 |
[18:13] | I’m sorry, Mr. President. | 抱歉 总统先生 |
[18:14] | Uh, I, I have to keep struggling. | 我不得不抗争 |
[18:17] | My work here is not done. | 我在这里的工作还没有完成 |
[18:21] | Everybody out or the president dies! | 所有人都给我出去 不然总统就得死 |
[18:23] | Get out! Get out! | 出去 出去 |
[18:25] | Out! Get out! | 快点出去 |
[18:42] | Madam Secretary, how was your…? | 国务卿女士 你的… |
[18:44] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[18:45] | The president has been taken hostage. | 总统被当成人质扣押起来了 |
[18:47] | What? By whom? | 什么 谁干的 |
[18:48] | By the American ambassador. | 美国大使 |
[19:00] | The ambassador has a gun to President Shwe’s head. | 大使拿枪指着瑞总统的脑袋 |
[19:03] | And this action seems to be linked to the trade agreement. | 好像是由于贸易协定争论引起的 |
[19:06] | Are we sure the gun is real? | 你确定那是一把真枪吗 |
[19:08] | Where’s a Buddhist even get a firearm? | 佛教徒从哪里搞来的枪 |
[19:10] | Probably brought it with him | 可能他成为美国公民时 |
[19:12] | from when he was an average American citizen. | 就带在身上了的 |
[19:14] | Can we talk to him? | 我们能和他谈谈吗 |
[19:15] | He is demanding that we cancel | 他要求我们取消 |
[19:16] | the signing of the trade agreement. | 签署贸易协定的仪式 |
[19:18] | No discussion. | 没商量 |
[19:20] | And he won’t pick up the phone. | 他也不肯接电话 |
[19:21] | Any idea how to get through | 谁知道怎么制服 |
[19:23] | to a gun-wielding Buddhist? | 一个带枪的佛教徒 |
[19:25] | No. But I know someone who might. | 没有人 但我知道有个人可能行 |
[19:27] | Ambassador Maxwell’s excuse to meet with President Shwe | 麦克斯维尔大使面见瑞总统的理由 |
[19:31] | was that he wanted to pay his respects and say good-bye. | 是说他想表达敬意 道个别 |
[19:34] | But at some point he pulled a gun… | 但他却冷不丁掏出一把枪 |
[19:35] | Babe, are you okay? | 宝贝 你没事吗 |
[19:36] | Yes, I’m far enough away from the action. | 没事 我离现场够远的 |
[19:39] | Unbelievable. | 不敢置信 |
[19:40] | I guess hostage taking | 我猜绑架人质 |
[19:41] | is the new form of negotiation. | 是一种新的谈判方式 |
[19:42] | It is definitely becoming a trend. | 绝对会成为一种潮流 |
[19:45] | Henry, I need you to tell me everything | 亨利 我需要你告诉我一切 |
[19:47] | I need to know about Buddhism in the next five minutes. | 在接下来五分钟内了解佛教 |
[19:49] | Look, I don’t know what this guy’s doing, | 我不知道这个人在干什么 |
[19:51] | but he is not practicing Buddhism. | 但他肯定不是在践行佛教理念 |
[19:53] | Yeah, well, he thinks he is. | 但他认为他是 |
[19:54] | So just tell me. | 你就告诉我吧 |
[19:57] | Okay. | 好 |
[19:58] | There are six realms divided into 31 planes of existence… | 共六个领域 分成31个位面 |
[20:02] | Henry. | 亨利 |
[20:03] | The point is, it’s not a five-minute conversation. | 关键是 这不是五分钟能讲得完的 |
[20:06] | Well… I need something. | 我需要一些内容 |
[20:08] | Some way to reach him. | 一种接近他的办法 |
[20:09] | Maybe, what about a Buddhist quote? | 那佛教谚语呢 |
[20:11] | Or-or-or-or a Buddhist teaching? | 或者 或者某个教义 |
[20:13] | Just something to talk him down. | 让我能说服他的东西 |
[20:16] | You just want me to reach | 你是要我从抽奖袋里 |
[20:17] | into my grab bag of religious quotes? | 随便摸几句宗教引言出来 |
[20:18] | Why not? You do it all the time! | 是啊 你不是一直这么干吗 |
[20:20] | It’s adorable. | 很受用 |
[20:21] | I quote when it makes sense in context. | 我引用的都是在语境中有意义的话 |
[20:24] | Henry, please. | 亨利 拜托了 |
[20:26] | I can’t just watch him kill somebody. | 我不能眼睁睁看着他杀人 |
[20:27] | Or be killed himself. | 也不能看着他被杀 |
[20:29] | He’s not gonna listen to you anyway. | 反正他不会听你的 |
[20:31] | You’re not his teacher or his mentor | 你不是他的老师或者导师 |
[20:33] | or a monk, so… | 也不是僧人 所以… |
[20:34] | He-he mentioned that he had a teacher. | 他提到过他有一个老师 |
[20:36] | Well, your best bet is to find him. | 那最好的办法就是找到他 |
[20:38] | Theravada Buddhism | 南传佛教 |
[20:39] | emphasizes heeding the advice of the wise. | 强调遵从智者的建议 |
[20:42] | Okay, I’m gonna… | 好的 我… |
[20:44] | I’m gonna get on that. | 我这就去找 |
[20:45] | Listen, uh, I hate to bring this up, | 那个 我不想提这事 |
[20:46] | but, um… | 但是… |
[20:48] | safe bet, | 你应该 |
[20:49] | you’re not gonna make it home by tomorrow morning. | 明天上午赶不回来了吧 |
[20:53] | Oh, crap. | 糟了 |
[20:55] | The brunch. | 早午餐 |
[20:56] | Don’t worry about it. We’ll cancel. | 别担心 我们取消就行了 |
[20:57] | Oh, no, no, no. | 不不不不 |
[20:58] | We cannot cancel. | 不能取消 |
[20:59] | That would look like I’m… | 这样让我看起来很… |
[21:00] | The Secretary of State? | 像国务卿 |
[21:03] | Listen, the last thing that I need right now | 我现在最不想看到的 |
[21:05] | is a conflict on my own street. | 就是邻里矛盾 |
[21:08] | Okay, like I said, it’s just eggs and mimosas. | 好吧 就像我说的 上魔鬼蛋就好了 |
[21:11] | It’s easy. | 简单 |
[21:12] | Okay, and you know what? | 好 这样吧 |
[21:13] | I’m gonna send Blake just for good measure. | 我让布莱克过去帮忙 |
[21:15] | Okay, well, don’t worry about it. We’ll handle it. | 好了 别担心 我们会处理好的 |
[21:17] | And, um, I’d never thought I’d say this, | 还有 我从没想过我会说这句话 |
[21:20] | but, uh…. | 但是… |
[21:23] | don’t get too close to the Buddhist terrorist. | 离佛教恐怖分子远一点 |
[21:27] | Don’t worry, I won’t. | 放心 我不会靠太近的 |
[21:28] | I love you. | 爱你 |
[21:31] | Nadine, I need you to track down Arlen Maxwell’s teacher. | 纳丁 你去查阿伦·麦克斯维尔的老师 |
[21:35] | I think his aide said he was a Buddhist monk… | 我记得他的助理说他导师是个佛教僧人 |
[21:37] | Ashin Tun — I made a note of it. | 阿申·吞 我记下来了 |
[21:38] | Good. | 很好 |
[21:40] | And I-I don’t care what you have to do | 我不管你用什么办法 |
[21:41] | to get him here, just get him here. | 把他带到这里来就是了 |
[21:42] | Yes, ma’am. | 是 国务卿 |
[21:44] | It’s 12 hours and counting since | 缅甸内比都的不稳定局势 |
[21:46] | this volatile situation began in Naypyidaw, Myanmar — | 已有十二小时 |
[21:50] | formerly known as Burma — | 并且对峙还在持续 |
[21:52] | where American Ambassador Arlen Maxwell | 美国大使阿伦·麦克斯维尔 |
[21:55] | has taken the president of this country hostage. | 挟该国总统为人质 |
[21:59] | The United States government has condemned | 美国政府谴责 |
[22:01] | Ambassador Maxwell’s actions, | 麦克斯维尔大使的行为 |
[22:03] | which occurred after he was released from his post… | 这一事件发生在他被免去大使一职之后… |
[22:06] | – Dr. McCord, any change? – Not yet. | -麦考德博士 有什么进展吗 -还没有 |
[22:08] | On the upside, | 往好处想 |
[22:10] | my quiches are perfect. | 至少我的乳蛋饼是完美的 |
[22:12] | And I cleaned the kitchen. You’re welcome. | 而且我已经把厨房收拾干净了 不客气 |
[22:14] | Well, I’m all set up, if you want to have a look. | 我都准备好了 要来看看吗 |
[22:16] | Sure. | 当然 |
[22:18] | So I have a 15-slide PowerPoint called | 我准备了十五张幻灯片 |
[22:21] | “The Upside of Diplomatic Security.” | 主题是”外事安全带来的好处” |
[22:24] | Uh, would you like a quick preview? | 你们要快速浏览一下吗 |
[22:25] | Actually, I really have to go study. | 我得去看书了 |
[22:28] | So the quiches are on the counter | 乳蛋饼就在台子上 |
[22:30] | and all you have to do is cut them and serve them. | 你们只要切一下端给大家就好了 |
[22:36] | Sergio and Alice. Three doors down. | 塞尔吉奥和爱丽丝 往下走第三家 |
[22:37] | Hi. Sergio, Alice? | 你好 塞尔吉奥 爱丽丝 |
[22:39] | Henry McCord. Very nice to meet you. | 我是亨利·麦考德 很高兴认识你们 |
[22:41] | Nice to meet you, finally. | 终于见着了 很高兴认识你 |
[22:42] | Uh, new Tesla. | 新买的特斯拉 |
[22:43] | Hey, how do you like that Tesla of yours? It’s fast, right? | 你家那辆特斯拉怎么样 很快吧 |
[22:46] | Too fast. | 太快了 |
[22:47] | I’m going to get in trouble in that car. | 开这车我迟早得出事 |
[22:48] | Oh, I hear you. | 有这么快 |
[22:49] | I’ve been wanting to test-drive one of those. | 我一直想试驾这款车 |
[22:50] | Please, stop by. | 过来试试呗 |
[22:51] | He’ll take you for a spin. | 让他带你去兜个风 |
[22:53] | Really? I’ll take you up on that. | 真的吗 那我可不客气了 |
[22:54] | – Please, come on in and make yourself at home. – Thanks. | -快进来 请自便 -谢了 |
[22:56] | Gary and Margo. Big garden. | 加里和马戈 大花园 |
[22:57] | Hi. Uh, Gary, Margo? | 你们好 加里 马戈 |
[22:59] | Henry McCord. I love your garden. | 我是亨利·麦考德 我超喜欢你们的花园 |
[23:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[23:02] | Beautiful. Please, come in. | 真漂亮 快请进 |
[23:04] | And of course, the Rhodes, Ted and Ginny. | 这就是罗德一家了 泰德和金妮 |
[23:05] | Hi, Ted. I’m really glad we could do this. | 泰德 很高兴我们能坐下来谈一谈 |
[23:07] | And you must be Ginny. | 你一定就是金妮了 |
[23:08] | It’s so nice to finally meet you. | 总算见着了 幸会 |
[23:10] | I’m really glad we could do this. | 大家能坐下来谈一谈我真的很高兴 |
[23:11] | Please, make yourself… at home. | 请自…便 |
[23:15] | You’re really good at this. | 你认人太厉害了 |
[23:16] | Well, I welcome the distraction. | 我需要分散注意力 |
[23:18] | From what? | 从什么事上分散注意力 |
[23:19] | You don’t want to know. | 你不会想知道的 |
[23:20] | I mean, did you know that there are more plastic flamingos | 你知不知道世界上塑料火烈鸟的数量 |
[23:22] | than real flamingos in this world? | 比真的火烈鸟还多 |
[23:24] | What? | 什么 |
[23:25] | What? Don, Tina. | 什么什么 唐 蒂娜 |
[23:26] | Hi, Don. Hi, Tina. | 你好 唐 你好 蒂娜 |
[23:27] | Henry McCord. Come on in. | 亨利·麦考德 请进 |
[23:39] | So for all the inconvenience that a strong security detail | 尽管严密的外事安全部署可能会给邻里 |
[23:42] | may bring to the neighborhood, | 带来不便 |
[23:44] | it also cuts crime rates in the following ways. | 但这同时也从以下几方面降低了犯罪率 |
[23:47] | A nine percent decrease in automobile break-ins. | 机动车盗窃案减少了百分之九 |
[23:51] | A 15% decrease in home break-ins… | 私闯民宅案减少了百分之十五 |
[23:52] | What about all the foot traffic from the tourists? | 那游客人流量呢 |
[23:55] | Right. Yeah, like every day. | 就是 每天都有 |
[23:56] | Strangers, roaming our streets. | 陌生人在街上晃来晃去 |
[23:57] | Strangers who actually raise the resale value of your home | 这些陌生人实际上使你们房屋的转售价值 |
[24:01] | by an impressive 12%. | 大大提高 增加了百分之十二 |
[24:04] | Remember, a famous area is a desirable area. | 别忘了 越有名的地方越是抢手 |
[24:06] | Now, here’s a surprising yet charming statistic. | 还有一个令人惊讶的有趣数据 |
[24:10] | There’s actually a four percent decrease in lost pets. | 宠物丢失率降低了百分之四 |
[24:16] | This is all very interesting, | 你说的都很有意思 |
[24:18] | but, uh, we were led to believe | 但是 我们以为 |
[24:20] | that the Secretary herself would be here. | 国务卿也会在这儿 |
[24:22] | Where is she? | 她在哪里 |
[24:24] | That-that was certainly our plan, | 按计划她当然会在 |
[24:25] | but unfortunately my wife was held up | 不巧的是我妻子因为 |
[24:27] | by the hostage situation in Myanmar. | 人质事件被耽搁在缅甸了 |
[24:29] | What a mess. How did that happen? | 真是一团乱麻 到底怎么回事 |
[24:31] | Is that trade agreement really a good idea? | 那个贸易协定真的是个好主意吗 |
[24:32] | It sounds like they’re gonna send a lot of jobs overseas. | 听起来他们要向国外输送很多工作机会 |
[24:36] | Let’s not drift into politics. | 现在不是讨论政治的时候 |
[24:37] | – Let’s not drift… – He’s right, let’s not. | -大家不要跑题 -他说得对 |
[24:40] | We’re here to talk about how the Secretary’s lifestyle | 我们今天是来讨论国务卿的生活方式 |
[24:42] | is interfering with our own. | 怎样干扰了我们的生活 |
[24:44] | Alice, you were saying that your garbage bins | 爱丽丝 你说过你家的垃圾桶 |
[24:47] | are constantly being moved by the security guys. | 总是被她的保安挪动位置 |
[24:49] | Well, yes, I assume it’s them. | 没错 我想是他们 |
[24:51] | And the tourists are actually picking | 而且还有游客采摘 |
[24:53] | Gary and Margo’s prize roses. | 加里和马戈家的玫瑰 |
[24:55] | Oh, it’s terrible. | 太糟糕了 |
[24:56] | And they’ve caught them on camera, actually. | 被监控摄像头拍到了 |
[24:58] | Not to mention the worst problem of all, | 最严重的问题就是 |
[25:00] | which is the caravan of SUVs out front. | 门口停着的车队 |
[25:03] | It is difficult to have a dinner party. | 弄得我们都没法开宴会 |
[25:05] | Also, my dog wakes up and barks | 另外 我的狗一听到国务卿出门或回家 |
[25:07] | every time the secretary leaves or comes home, | 就会醒来 还狂吠不止 |
[25:09] | which is all hours of the day. | 而国务卿可能在一天中任意时刻进出 |
[25:11] | Oh, please. | 拜托 |
[25:13] | Tell me again about your barking dog | 要是东海岸的飓风 |
[25:16] | while violent hurricanes pound millions and millions | 摧毁了无数的房屋 |
[25:18] | of homes up and down the East Coast, | 卷起无数的居民 |
[25:20] | uprooting and displacing people, | 然后他们不得不 |
[25:22] | forcing them into these makeshift, | 在你们高档的乔治城社区 |
[25:23] | disease-ridden little shantytowns | 搭建起临时住房 |
[25:25] | right here in your own upscale Georgetown neighborhood! | 你还有心思管你家的狗吗 |
[25:28] | Okay, thank you very much, Blake. Thank you. | 非常谢谢你 布莱克 谢谢 |
[25:30] | Um, why don’t we take five? | 我们先休息五分钟吧 |
[25:31] | There’s some pastries and coffee in the kitchen. | 厨房里有点心和咖啡 |
[25:34] | No, let’s talk about the environment. | 不 我们再来谈谈环境问题 |
[25:36] | Let’s talk about your SUVs running day and night, | 你们的车队一天二十四小时都不熄火 |
[25:40] | spewing carbon monoxide into the air 24 hours a day. | 一直向空气中排放一氧化碳 |
[25:41] | That is a protocol issue. | 这是规定 |
[25:43] | They have to be kept running | 那些车必须时刻保持发动状态 |
[25:44] | in the event of a state emergency. | 以免紧急事件发生 |
[25:45] | Give me a break! | 省省吧 |
[25:46] | I’m sure your wife is too important | 我知道您的妻子是大人物 |
[25:48] | to care about my son’s asthma, | 不会在意我儿子的哮喘 |
[25:50] | but shouldn’t she care about climate change? | 但是她也不在乎气候变化吗 |
[25:51] | Isn’t that part of her job, too? | 这不也是她分内的工作吗 |
[25:54] | I was hoping that this would be a reasonable discussion | 我以为我们会进行一场理性的讨论 |
[25:56] | where we could all get to know each other | 能够让我们彼此了解 |
[25:57] | and come up with some creative ideas | 让我们得以想出 |
[25:58] | about how to live together. | 一些共同生活之道 |
[26:00] | But it’s turned into a platform | 但是现在变成了 |
[26:02] | for you to voice your opinions about foreign policy | 你们发表对外交政策的观点 |
[26:05] | and elevate your mundane concerns to global importance… | 把你们平凡的忧虑上升到全球层面 |
[26:08] | because my wife happens to be the Secretary of State. | 因为我的妻子正好是国务卿 |
[26:11] | “Mundane concerns”? | 平凡的忧虑 |
[26:12] | Yeah, Ted. | 没错 泰德 |
[26:14] | Your garbage bins? Really? | 你的垃圾桶 没开玩笑吧 |
[26:17] | Dinner parties? | 晚宴 |
[26:18] | I’m sorry my house is a little busy | 我很抱歉我们家是有点繁忙 |
[26:21] | because matters of national security | 因为国家安全问题 |
[26:23] | really don’t take a day off. | 没有休息的日子 |
[26:24] | There are dangers that you will never know about | 你们不知道的危险每天都在发生 |
[26:27] | because there are people out there | 因为有些人一直在努力 |
[26:28] | working to make sure you’re never affected by it. | 就是为了让你们不会受到影响 |
[26:30] | People who are putting their lives at risk every day. | 他们每天都命悬一线 |
[26:34] | So why don’t we all just take a time-out | 所以我们不如暂停一下 |
[26:37] | and then, if you still want to petition us | 然后 如果你们还是想把我们 |
[26:39] | to move out of the neighborhood, go with God. | 赶出这里 那就随你们吧 |
[26:42] | Good luck with that. | 祝你们好运 |
[26:43] | – Okay, everybody out. – Let’s get out of here, honey. | -所有人都出去 -亲爱的 我们走 |
[26:44] | – What? Out? – Come on, let’s go. | -什么 出去 -我们走 |
[26:46] | Let’s go. Let’s all go. | 走吧 我们都走 |
[27:04] | Great diplomacy, guys. | 手段不错 |
[27:04] | Really. Top-notch. | 真的 一流的 |
[27:14] | The teacher Ashin Tun has been received by Mr. Maxwell. | 他的老师阿申·吞已经到麦克斯维尔先生那了 |
[27:18] | A conversation ensued among the three of them. | 他们三个要进行谈话 |
[27:19] | Now, if you care to rest, | 现在您可以休息一下 |
[27:21] | the President and the teacher appear to be meditating. | 总统和那个老师似乎正在冥想 |
[27:24] | The idea was that the teacher | 我们请老师来是为了 |
[27:25] | was going to counsel Mr. Maxwell. | 让他劝劝麦克斯维尔先生的 |
[27:28] | We brought him in at your request, Madam Secretary. | 我们按您的要求把他带来了 国务卿 |
[27:30] | What happened after that is not up to us. | 之后的事情我们就管不了了 |
[27:33] | President Shwe and Mr. Maxwell want to talk to you. | 瑞总统和麦克斯维尔先生想和您谈谈 |
[27:35] | It’s a secure line. | 这条电话线是安全的 |
[27:38] | This is Secretary of State McCord. | 我是国务卿麦考德 |
[27:40] | I believe the hard work has paid off, Madam Secretary. | 我的努力终于有收获了 国务卿女士 |
[27:43] | You must be exhausted. | 你一定累坏了 |
[27:45] | Why don’t you put the gun down and let’s… let’s all talk? | 不如你把枪放下 我们一起谈谈 |
[27:48] | Look, I know that I’m probably going to prison | 我知道可能我余生 |
[27:50] | for the rest of my life, | 都要在监狱里度过了 |
[27:52] | but I am ready to face that possibility | 但是我也期待着 |
[27:54] | if I know that I have created a better agreement | 我能够为我新的祖国和人民 |
[27:58] | for my new home and people. | 创造一份更好的协议 |
[28:01] | Arlen, clearly, you-you care very much about these changes, | 阿伦 我知道你非常在乎这些变化 |
[28:04] | so why don’t you come out and let’s discuss them? | 所以不如你出来 我们讨论一下 |
[28:07] | Madam Secretary, | 国务卿女士 |
[28:08] | are you aware of the sutta of the Middle Way? | 你知道”中道”吗 |
[28:13] | I think that it’s, um, | 我想应该类似于 |
[28:15] | similar to what the Greeks call the golden mean. | 希腊人的黄金分割吧 |
[28:19] | Moderation in all things. | 所有事情都要适度 |
[28:20] | It’s the road between sensual indulgence | 它是一条介于纵欲 |
[28:23] | and self-mortification. | 和禁欲之间的道路 |
[28:25] | It’s… it is the path we should all seek. | 我们都应该追求这种道路 |
[28:28] | And I have been successful in, uh, | 我已经成功的 |
[28:31] | getting the President to understand that. | 让总统明白了这一点 |
[28:33] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[28:34] | He agrees that these hydroelectric dams are… | 他已经认可 这些水电站坝 |
[28:37] | they’re just… they’re a bad idea for his people. | 对他的人民不利 |
[28:40] | Well, if the President is convinced, we can… | 如果总统先生同意了 |
[28:43] | absolutely take a look at making an amendment. | 那我们当然可以拟定一个修正案 |
[28:45] | But we can’t talk about anything | 但是现在瑞总统被枪顶着脑袋 |
[28:47] | while President Shwe has a gun to his head. | 我们就什么也谈不成 |
[28:49] | It’s not the President’s attention that I need now. | 我现在不需要总统 |
[28:52] | It’s yours. | 我需要你听我说 |
[28:53] | And when I show you on a map, | 当你看到一幅地图 |
[28:55] | uh, the-these-these areas that will be flooded | 那些即将被淹没的区域 |
[28:58] | and these poor people who will lose ev… | 以及那些即将失去家园的 |
[29:02] | Arlen, what was that? | 阿伦 发生了什么 |
[29:03] | Arlen? | 阿伦 |
[29:07] | I lost him. | 他断线了 |
[29:16] | The police chief isn’t answering. | 警察局长不接电话 |
[29:18] | Nor is Arlen’s aide. I… | 阿伦的助手也不接 |
[29:19] | Nothing reported on any news source. | 没有任何新消息 |
[29:26] | The President is unharmed. | 总统毫发无伤 |
[29:28] | Oh, thank God. What about Maxwell? | 感谢上帝 麦克斯维尔呢 |
[29:30] | Mr. Maxwell let his guard down as he spoke to you. | 麦克斯维尔先生和您通话时放松了警惕 |
[29:32] | The snipers were able to wound him. | 狙击手得以将其击中 |
[29:34] | He is being treated. | 正在接受治疗 |
[29:36] | He will recover. | 会康复的 |
[29:37] | – The President wishes to see you immediately. – Of course. | -总统现在要见您 马上 -当然 |
[29:45] | The important thing is that you’re all right. | 最重要的是您没有受伤 |
[29:48] | And we all deeply regret Mr. Maxwell’s actions. | 我们都为麦克斯维尔先生的行为感到遗憾 |
[29:54] | But we came here for a specific reason | 但是我们来到这里是为了一个目的 |
[29:56] | that carries great international… | 关乎国际 |
[29:57] | Madam Secretary, I must tell you | 国务卿女士 我必须告诉您 |
[29:59] | that the reluctance that | 我真心被 |
[30:00] | I voiced to Mr. Maxwell was genuine. | 麦克斯维尔说服了 |
[30:03] | In order for Myanmar to sign this agreement, | 如果缅甸要签署这份协议 |
[30:06] | it must be amended to address the problem | 修正案必须解决水电站坝带来的问题 |
[30:08] | of the possible hydroelectric dams. | 可能建成的水电站坝 |
[30:10] | This agreement | 这项协议 |
[30:12] | was based on hard data from every nation. | 是建立在每个国家的硬数据之上的 |
[30:15] | They predict that these hydroelectric dams | 他们预测这些水电站坝的建立 |
[30:18] | will modernize your power grid, | 将会使您的电网更加现代化 |
[30:20] | which will, in turn, help Myanmar | 这反过来还会帮助缅甸 |
[30:23] | to take better care of all of its citizens. | 给予全部国民更好的照顾 |
[30:26] | You and I both know why China was so interested | 我们都知道中国为什么这么积极地 |
[30:29] | in eliminating tariffs on hydropower turbines. | 降低水轮机组的关税 |
[30:33] | So that they could be the one | 这样他们就可以得到 |
[30:34] | to build the hydroelectric dams, | 修水电站坝的机会 |
[30:36] | using their technology and their labor. | 并使用自己的技术和劳动力 |
[30:38] | And perhaps claim Myanmar’s future water rights. | 而且有可能会要求缅甸的未来的用水权 |
[30:41] | Mr. President, | 总统先生 |
[30:43] | there is something in this agreement for every country. | 这份协议对每个国家都有利益点 |
[30:47] | That’s how we got here. | 所以才能得以签署 |
[30:51] | I have a clearer picture now. | 现在我看得更明白了 |
[30:53] | Signing this agreement is a short-term solution | 签这项协议只有短期的好处 |
[30:56] | which will lead to much greater problems down the road. | 将来会导致更多更大的问题 |
[31:01] | I-I know that you are aware | 我相信您明白 |
[31:02] | that it’s too late to change the terms now, | 现在更改条款已经太晚了 |
[31:07] | but perhaps we can use Myanmar’s labor force | 但是也许我们可以使用缅甸的 |
[31:10] | to build the dams. | 劳动力来修建大坝 |
[31:11] | And at this point, Mr. President, | 总统先生 现在 |
[31:13] | there’s no reason to suspect that China will | 也没有理由怀疑中国以后会 |
[31:16] | lay claim to a sovereign nation’s water rights. | 要求获得一个主权国家的用水权 |
[31:19] | Tell that to the African nations | 那些被中国买走所有土地 |
[31:21] | where China is buying up all their land. | 的非洲国家可不这么认为 |
[31:23] | Have you read The World in 2030, | 你看过《2030年的世界》吗 |
[31:26] | put out by your own State Department? | 你们美国国务院出版的 |
[31:28] | Water is the future’s most precious commodity. | 水是将来最珍贵的商品 |
[31:31] | So for the good of my people and future generations, | 所以我要为我的人民和后代考虑 |
[31:35] | I must withdraw my support for this agreement. | 我必须拒绝支持这项协议 |
[31:38] | If you could visit some of our villages… | 如果你去我们的村庄看一看 |
[31:57] | It’s okay. Thank you. | 没关系的 谢谢你们 |
[32:04] | I was worried. | 我很担心 |
[32:05] | I’m flattered. | 我很荣幸 |
[32:07] | Seriously? | 真的吗 |
[32:08] | Oh, I didn’t mean it that way. I… | 我不是那意思 我 |
[32:11] | I really wasn’t sure… | 我真的不确定 |
[32:12] | That I care about my own mother? | 我会关心我亲妈 |
[32:14] | Why do you have to be so dramatic? | 你怎么这么事多 |
[32:15] | Roman, you haven’t returned my calls in… | 罗曼 你都好几年 |
[32:19] | a few years, now. | 没回我的电话了 |
[32:20] | What about when you stopped speaking to me | 我从茱莉亚音乐学院退学的时候 |
[32:22] | when I dropped out of Juilliard? | 你也不肯理我 |
[32:23] | That’s ancient history! | 都过去那么多年了 |
[32:25] | I was angry then. | 我当时很生气 |
[32:27] | I was afraid I’d say something I’d regret. | 我怕自己说出会让自己后悔的话 |
[32:29] | And when I tried to get back in touch with you, | 当我再想联系你的时候 |
[32:31] | – you wouldn’t hear of it. – You disowned me. | -你就不肯理我了 -你和我脱离了母子关系 |
[32:33] | I didn’t disown you. | 我才没和你脱离关系 |
[32:39] | I cut you off financially. | 我只是不再给你钱了 |
[32:42] | If you were adult enough to drop out of school, | 如果你成熟得可以决定退学 |
[32:45] | then you were adult enough to support yourself. | 那你也能挣钱养活自己 |
[32:47] | You were mad because I abandoned your dream. | 你生气时因为我放弃了你的梦想 |
[32:49] | No, no. | 不 不 |
[32:50] | You wanted Juilliard as much as I did. | 你和我一样想去茱莉亚音乐学院 |
[32:52] | That is not true. | 那不是真的 |
[32:54] | And dad was totally understanding when I changed my mind. | 我改变主意的时候爸爸就很理解 |
[32:56] | Yeah, well, he wasn’t paying for it. | 当然啦 又不是他在付学费 |
[32:57] | It always comes back to money. | 还是钱的问题 |
[33:00] | I was a single mother and a government worker. | 我是个单身妈妈 政府雇员 |
[33:03] | I didn’t have endless resources. | 我收入有限 |
[33:05] | I saved from the time you were born | 自从你出生我就开始存钱 |
[33:07] | to give my only child a college education, | 为了供我的独子上大学 |
[33:10] | and you took that gift and threw it away. | 你拿了我的血汗钱又把它扔掉 |
[33:13] | I didn’t throw anything away. | 我没扔掉 |
[33:14] | I’m using what I learned there. | 我在使用我学到的知识 |
[33:16] | You’re just so prosaic. | 你太死板了 |
[33:17] | It’s like nothing counts unless it’s some kind of pedigree. | 好像如果我不是学院派就什么都不是 |
[33:24] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[33:27] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[33:31] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[33:32] | I don’t fully understand it, but I’m going to trust | 我没完全明白 但是我相信 |
[33:35] | that you know what you’re doing. | 你知道自己在做什么 |
[33:39] | Anything to end this fight. | 只要能平息这场争吵 |
[33:42] | I want to have a relationship with you. | 我想要和你恢复关系 |
[33:44] | Well, how are we supposed to do that? | 那我们应该怎么办 |
[33:47] | We keep talking to each other. | 我们要和彼此说话 |
[33:52] | You return my calls, | 你回我的电话 |
[33:54] | I won’t mention Juilliard. | 我再也不提音乐学院 |
[33:56] | – Can we do that? – I guess. | -可以吗 -我想可以 |
[34:04] | I’m sorry, I have to go back in. | 对不起 我得回去了 |
[34:08] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[34:12] | I get that. I do. | 我知道 真的 |
[34:28] | I apologize, Madam Secretary. | 很抱歉 国务卿女士 |
[34:31] | It was my son. | 我儿子来了 |
[34:34] | He was worried. | 他担心我 |
[34:35] | Oh. Understandable. | 可以理解 |
[34:38] | Is he okay? | 他还好吗 |
[34:40] | Yeah. | 还好 |
[34:43] | Where are we with President Shwe? | 和瑞总统谈得怎么样 |
[34:45] | It’s over. | 谈完了 |
[34:46] | We’re going home without a trade agreement. | 贸易协定没签成 |
[34:50] | Called the president, I’m not sure the hearing | 我给总统打过电话了 |
[34:51] | in that ear will ever recover. | 这通电话造成的耳鸣大概不会好了 |
[34:53] | He’s got a lot of nerve holding you accountable. | 他好大的胆子 让你为此负责 |
[34:56] | He’s the one who put an unstable person in that post. | 是他把那个不靠谱的人放在那个职位上的 |
[34:59] | You got to see your son. It wasn’t a total waste. | 你见到了你儿子 此行也不算是白费 |
[35:02] | Yeah, we’ll see. | 是啊 再说吧 |
[35:05] | The truth is, ma’am, um… | 事实上 国务卿 |
[35:09] | we’ve been estranged for a while. | 我们疏远了一段时间 |
[35:14] | But I wanted to mend fences, | 但是我想要改善关系 |
[35:15] | so I had to suck it up. | 所以我得忍受后果 |
[35:19] | I kept my eye on the bigger picture. | 我一直把眼光放长远 |
[35:22] | And you know what? | 但老天有眼 |
[35:23] | He met me halfway. | 我们半路相遇了 |
[35:25] | At least in theory. | 至少在理论上 |
[35:27] | That’s good. | 那很好 |
[35:31] | You found the Middle Way. | 你找到了”中道”的办法 |
[35:33] | That’s a Buddhist principle I was lectured on | 这是佛教的道义 |
[35:35] | by a guy holding a gun to someone’s head. | 是一个用枪指着别人脑袋的人教我的 |
[35:39] | It’s one thing to talk about, | 说起来容易 |
[35:40] | quite another to put into practice. | 做起来难啊 |
[35:43] | Yeah, it is. | 是啊 |
[35:45] | I’ll start making arrangements to go home. | 我开始安排回程了 |
[35:48] | Uh, first, Nadine, | 首先 纳丁 |
[35:50] | see if you can get the Chinese foreign minister on the phone. | 给中国外交部长打个电话 |
[35:53] | Yes, ma’am. | 好的女士 |
[36:05] | Thank you, guys. | 谢谢大家 |
[36:08] | Anybody home? | 有人吗 |
[36:10] | Just me. | 只有我在 |
[36:13] | Well, that’ll do. | 那也行 |
[36:15] | Are you okay, babe? | 你还好吗 宝贝 |
[36:16] | Yeah. | 还好 |
[36:18] | I’m a little tired. | 我有点累 |
[36:20] | I’m sure you are. I saw the news. | 肯定很累 我看到新闻了 |
[36:22] | You put that trade agreement back together. | 你促成了贸易协定 |
[36:24] | What happened? | 出什么事了 |
[36:26] | I had an epiphany. | 我顿悟了 |
[36:28] | I found the Middle Way. | 我悟出了”中道”思想 |
[36:31] | Oh, my God. You’re a Buddhist. | 天哪 你是个佛教徒 |
[36:34] | More like a… | 更像是个 |
[36:36] | Suck-it-upist. | “忍辱负重主义者” |
[36:38] | Since when? | 从何时开始是的 |
[36:39] | Well, after President Shwe | 自从瑞总统 |
[36:41] | changed his mind about the agreement, | 改变对协议的想法后 |
[36:44] | I managed to work a side deal with the Chinese | 我设法和中方达成侧面交易 |
[36:47] | to protect Myanmar’s water rights. | 保护缅甸的用水权 |
[36:50] | So, by prostrating myself and taking all the blame, | 我委曲求全 |
[36:54] | which I did not deserve, | 承受了所有我不应承受的指责 |
[36:58] | everybody signed and there you go. | 让大家都签了字 就这样 |
[37:01] | History made. | 创下了历史 |
[37:02] | That’s great. Congratulations. | 那很棒 祝贺你 |
[37:04] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:07] | I couldn’t pull things off with the neighbors. | 我没法平息邻居的不满 |
[37:09] | Well, there’s… still time. | 还有时间 |
[37:13] | What, you want to employ the | 你想对他们搞那套 |
[37:14] | “Suck it up” Strategy with them? | “忍辱负重”政策吗 |
[37:16] | While it’s working, yes. | 那套确实有用 没错 |
[37:18] | I may have incinerated the Middle Way. | 我大概已毁了”中道” |
[37:20] | Well, there’s only one way to find out. | 只有一个办法能够证实 |
[37:25] | What in the world are…? | 这究竟是 |
[37:28] | How do these things get so out of order? | 这一切是怎么变得一团糟的吗 |
[37:29] | It’s the alphabet, people. | 是字母表 |
[37:31] | You’re still upset about the 2030 Report? | 你还在为《2030报告》烦心吗 |
[37:33] | Rising sea levels, displaced people, economic upheaval? | 海平面升高 难民 经济震荡 |
[37:36] | Yeah, it’s staying with me. | 没错 这些问题正困扰着我 |
[37:40] | If you want to bury yourself in work, | 如果你想当个工作狂 |
[37:43] | the Secretary has a real assignment for us. | 国务卿给你安排了个好差事 |
[37:45] | Yes, please. | 愿闻其详 |
[37:47] | We need to get to the bottom of why | 我们需要弄清楚为什么 |
[37:48] | the SUVs are left running outside her house. | 停在她家门口的车队要保持引擎发动 |
[37:51] | There has to be a way to stop that. | 一定有办法结束这件事 |
[37:52] | I tried. | 我试过了 |
[37:55] | After the evil brunch, I did some research. | 在那次邪恶的早午餐后 我做了些调查 |
[37:57] | It would take mountains of paperwork, | 需要大量的文书 |
[37:58] | questions from Congress | 回答大量国会提出的问题 |
[38:00] | and at least six months of waiting. | 还要至少等半年 |
[38:02] | Most likely to be turned down. | 极有可能会被拒绝 |
[38:06] | Well… in that case, there’s only one thing left to do. | 如果那样的话 就只剩一件事可做了 |
[38:23] | You know, when I was a little girl, | 我小的时候 |
[38:25] | we didn’t have fire drills. | 没有消防演习 |
[38:27] | We had nuclear bomb drills. | 我们有核弹演习 |
[38:30] | Duck and cover. | 蹲下和掩护 |
[38:31] | Duck under the desk and cover your head. | 在桌子下面蹲下 保护好自己的头 |
[38:34] | As if that would’ve helped. | 就好像那有用似的 |
[38:37] | We were all absolutely convinced | 我们都坚信不疑 |
[38:40] | that one day we would all die in a nuclear war. | 肯定会爆发核战 大家因此丧命 |
[38:44] | We just lived with it. | 我们只是默默忍耐接受这些 |
[38:46] | Oh, we… tried to get the most out of our time, | 我们尽可能充分利用时间 |
[38:50] | but we just hoped and prayed for the best. | 但我们期冀 祈祷能有好的结果 |
[38:54] | I studied the Cold War. | 我研究过冷战 |
[38:55] | It’s a miracle it didn’t happen. | 没出什么事简直是个奇迹 |
[38:58] | Oh, partly. There were other things. | 也不完全对 出了其他事 |
[39:02] | The SALT talks. | 限制战略武器会谈 |
[39:05] | Ongoing negotiations among world leaders. | 世界各国领导人之间持续不断的会谈 |
[39:08] | The Berlin Wall eventually came down, | 柏林墙终于倒下了 |
[39:11] | seemingly out of nowhere, but really… | 看似是莫名其妙的事 但实际上 |
[39:14] | it had to do with a lot of people | 跟很多人都有关系 |
[39:16] | making good moves at the right time. | 在正确的时机做对的事 |
[39:21] | And yet here we are again, making a big mess of everything, | 现在我们又把一切都搞得乱七八糟 |
[39:25] | and if we don’t change our ways, then yes, | 如果我们还不改变策略 |
[39:28] | it will be the stuff of nightmares. | 无疑会有一场噩梦 |
[39:31] | But if we turned things around once, | 但如果让事情峰回路转 |
[39:33] | I believe we can do it again. | 我相信我们还有再来一次的机会 |
[39:37] | Sometimes… | 有时候 |
[39:39] | you have to have faith in people. | 必须要对人民有信心 |
[39:43] | Do not ever tell anyone I said that. | 别告诉任何人我说了这些话 |
[39:47] | Yes, ma’am. | 遵命 长官 |
[39:53] | Meanwhile, that’s why God created alcohol and music. | 正因如此上帝才创造了酒精和音乐 |
[39:57] | Now, get up there and sing. | 现在上台唱歌去 |
[40:00] | Uh, why? | 为什么 |
[40:04] | Because you can. | 因为你可以 |
[40:32] | * Just yesterday morning * | *就在昨天早晨* |
[40:34] | * they let me know you were gone * | *我得知你的离去* |
[40:39] | * Susanne, the plans they made put an end to you * | *苏珊娜 他们的决定为你画上了休止符* |
[40:45] | * Walked out this morning * | *今早我走出家门* |
[40:47] | * and I wrote down this song * | *写下了这首歌* |
[40:52] | * I just can’t remember who to send it to * | *却记不起该把它送给谁* |
[40:58] | * I’ve seen fire and I’ve seen rain * | *我经历过火焰和雨水* |
[41:03] | * Seen sunny days that I thought would never end * | *经历过自以为永不会结束的艳阳天* |
[41:09] | * I’ve seen lonely times when I could not find a friend * | *经历过无友可依的孤独岁月* |
[41:16] | * But I always thought that I’d see you again * | *但我始终相信会与你重逢* |
[41:27] | Can I help you, Madam Secretary, Dr. McCord? | 有什么能效劳的吗 国务卿 麦考德博士 |
[41:30] | Yeah. | 有 |
[41:31] | Matt, I was wondering if maybe you guys could | 马特 我在想 你们能不能 |
[41:34] | shut off the motors for the night? | 晚上把发动机关掉呢 |
[41:36] | No, ma’am. It’s protocol. | 不行 长官 这是规定 |
[41:38] | I’m not kidding. This is important. | 我没开玩笑 这很重要 |
[41:41] | I’ll tell you what, if you get in trouble, | 这么跟你说吧 如果有了麻烦 |
[41:42] | you just blame it on me, okay? | 你就怪到我头上 行吗 |
[41:43] | I’m sorry, ma’am. | 抱歉 长官 |
[41:44] | I’m not authorized to do that. | 我无权这么做 |
[41:46] | Hey, have you called Conrad | 你有没有打电话给康拉德 |
[41:48] | to tell him the trade agreement is finalized? | 告诉他达成贸易协定了 |
[41:50] | Yeah, he was in a meeting, | 打了 他在开会 |
[41:51] | so I left a message at the office. | 所以我给办公室留了言 |
[41:53] | Uh, he’s probably home by now. | 他现在可能在家 |
[42:01] | It’s this whole thing with the neighbors, Matt. | 都是因为邻居们 马特 |
[42:03] | They-they don’t like the cars running all the time. | 他们不想让车的发动机一直开着 |
[42:06] | The poor guy’s kid has asthma. | 那可怜人的孩子有哮喘 |
[42:08] | Well, be that as it may, Dr. McCord, | 即便如此 麦考德博士 |
[42:10] | I don’t work for your neighbors. | 我不为你的邻居工作 |
[42:12] | That’s true. | 没错 |
[42:13] | Technically, I don’t even work for Secretary McCord. | 确切的说 我甚至都不为麦考德国务卿工作 |
[42:15] | That’s true, too, technically. | 确切的说 那也是事实 |
[42:17] | Just hold on one second. | 请等一下 |
[42:20] | Um, Matt, the President would like a word. | 马特 总统想要跟你说话 |
[42:26] | Yes, Mr. President? | 您好 总统先生 |
[42:29] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[42:32] | Yes, sir. | 是 长官 |
[42:33] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[42:36] | Right-right away, sir. Good-bye. | 马上 长官 再见 |
[42:45] | Thanks, Matt. | 谢谢 马特 |
[42:47] | I’ll tell the other guys. | 我会告诉其他人 |
[42:49] | Have a good night. | 晚安 |
[42:55] | I like the Middle Way. | 我喜欢”中道” |
[42:57] | That was not the Middle Way. That was winning. | 那不是”中道” 那是胜利 |
[42:59] | Well, I like that, too. | 我也喜欢胜利 |