时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | It’s turn 27 and President Dalton is still trailing. | 最后关头 道尔顿总统依然处于落后地位 |
[00:04] | Now, were you expecting it to be this close? | 你有预期过会这么接近吗 |
[00:06] | No one was. | 没人能料到 |
[00:08] | Santa Fe results are coming in fast. | 圣达菲的点票结果很快能出来 |
[00:10] | Projections still have him down by three points. | 预测选票依旧落后三个点 |
[00:11] | Well, forget the projection. | 别管什么预测了 |
[00:12] | Our ground game was better in Santa Fe. | 我们在圣达菲的竞选方针更胜一筹 |
[00:14] | We can still close this gap. | 我们还有希望追上 |
[00:15] | I think it’s safe to say the Dalton campaign | 我认为可以说道尔顿阵营的人 |
[00:18] | took New Mexico for granted. | 一直把新墨西哥州当成囊中之物 |
[00:19] | He had a ground operation | 他在当地的竞选活动 |
[00:21] | twice the size of Evans, didn’t matter. | 规模是埃文斯的两倍也没用 |
[00:22] | Ladies and gentlemen, we are ready to make a projection. | 女士们先生们 我们要公布预测结果了 |
[00:25] | What? This is wrong. | 什么 不应该是这样的 |
[00:26] | New Mexico will not go to Dalton. | 新墨西哥州不会投给道尔顿 |
[00:29] | That makes it official, he has lost the race. | 这也意味着他正式输掉了大选 |
[00:31] | President Conrad Dalton will be a one-term president. | 康拉德·道尔顿总统将不会连任 |
[00:35] | Can’t make a projection when-when it’s this tight. | 不能在票数接近的时候作出预测 |
[00:38] | 20% of the vote is still uncounted. | 还有20%的票没数完呢 |
[00:40] | AP just made the same call. | 美联社也作出了同样的预测 |
[00:42] | What the hell happened to margin of error? | 数据误差都不管了吗 |
[00:44] | It’s over, Russell. | 结束了 拉塞尔 |
[00:52] | If it’s all the same to everyone, | 如果大家不介意 |
[00:53] | I’d prefer to do the postmortem tomorrow. | 我打算明天再作卸职汇报 |
[00:57] | It was a good fight. | 我们尽力了 |
[01:12] | This is all your fault. | 这全是你的错 |
[01:26] | Starboard engine is down. | 右舷的引擎故障了 |
[01:28] | Let’s jump for it. | 弃船 |
[01:32] | Evacuate the crew. | 疏散船员 |
[01:34] | Yes, sir. | 遵命 长官 |
[01:38] | Throw! | 扔过来 |
[01:40] | Move back now! | 退后 |
[01:42] | Everybody off. | 大家都下船 |
[01:46] | Evacuate! | 撤退 |
[01:48] | Evacuate the area! | 撤离这区域 |
[01:59] | Man overboard! | 有人落水了 |
[02:00] | Kelley! Kelley! | 凯利 凯利 |
[02:03] | Madam Secretary, you’ll open with some general remarks. | 国务卿女士 您将作简短的开场讲话 |
[02:06] | Then you’ll head over to the pig-judging contest. | 然后前往小猪竞赛作评委 |
[02:09] | You won’t be required to handle the pigs. | 不用您亲自处理猪只 |
[02:12] | Which is excellent news. | 太好了 |
[02:14] | Yeah, just comment on their general appearance. | 是的 只需要对它们的外表稍作评论 |
[02:17] | And I’d advise avoiding words like “Fat” or “Tasty” | 我建议避免”胖”和”好吃”之类的词汇 |
[02:21] | because people don’t really want to think about that. | 因为大家不愿意想这方面的事 |
[02:24] | Couldn’t you have gotten me the zucchini-judging contest? | 你就不能让我去西葫芦比赛当评委吗 |
[02:29] | – A lot fewer pitfalls. – Nominally, | -没那么多禁忌 -通常来说 |
[02:31] | you’ll be promoting American agricultural exports. | 你要宣传美国的农业出口 |
[02:35] | Without saying “Tasty.” | 却不能说”好吃”这词 |
[02:36] | Or “Fat.” | “胖”也不能说 |
[02:37] | Or “Food.” | 还有”食物” |
[02:39] | – Or “Pork.” – Yes. | -“猪肉”也别说 -没错 |
[02:40] | But, as Jessica explained to me, | 正如杰西卡之前跟我解释过的 |
[02:43] | albeit in language more befitting a political strategist, | 虽然用语比较像一个政治策略家 |
[02:46] | it’s an opportunity to do some | 这是对弗吉尼亚当地居民 |
[02:48] | glad-handing with the Virginia locals. | 表示感谢的大好时机 |
[02:50] | Yeah, just to kick things off in a fun way. | 没错 只是让竞选活动开始得轻松些 |
[02:52] | Of course, we have a number | 当然 我们也准备了一系列 |
[02:53] | of savvy public profile boosts | 为您和您的家人准备的 |
[02:55] | coming up for you and your family. | 提高公众形象的活动 |
[02:56] | Right, tonight you have your dinner | 没错 今晚你要与 |
[02:58] | with the president’s big-ticket donors. | 总统最大的资助人共进晚餐 |
[03:00] | And tomorrow you have a segment on Jane Pauley’s show | 明晚你要接受简·保利的采访 |
[03:03] | to discuss foreign policy developments. | 探讨外交政策的发展 |
[03:05] | But not pork. | 但跟猪肉无关 |
[03:06] | And definitely no mention of your accepting the VP position. | 千万别提到你接受了副总统的职位 |
[03:09] | President Dalton will make that announcement | 道尔顿总统会在七月大会后 |
[03:11] | after the convention in July. | 正式公布这消息 |
[03:12] | But Jane will ask. | 但简会问这问题 |
[03:14] | Yes, Jane will ask and you’ll say something like… | 是的 她会问 你可以说… |
[03:17] | “I could use a fat and tasty pulled pork sandwich | 我现在很想吃又肥又好吃的 |
[03:21] | right about now.” | 炖猪肉三明治 |
[03:24] | After the contest, there will be a photo op | 比赛结束后 您要和市长 |
[03:26] | with the mayor and the county commissioner. | 以及县长合影留念 |
[03:28] | Uh, e-excuse me, Madam Secretary, | 打扰一下 国务卿女士 |
[03:30] | I’m receiving word that | 我刚收到消息 |
[03:31] | our naval base in Bahrain | 我们在巴林的海军基地 |
[03:33] | has been hit by a massive tropical cyclone. | 遭受了强烈的龙卷风袭击 |
[03:36] | No fatalities reported, | 目前没有出现人员死亡 |
[03:37] | but the base has sustained major damage. | 但基地本身受到了严重损失 |
[03:40] | How major? | 有多严重 |
[03:41] | That base just had an update, like, two years ago. | 那基地两年前才升级过硬件 |
[03:44] | I’ll get more information. | 我会去搜集更多的信息 |
[03:45] | DOD is monitoring the situation. | 国防部在监控最新的进展 |
[03:48] | All right. | 好的 |
[03:50] | Do you have a list of acceptable adjectives? | 你有什么推荐的形容词列表吗 |
[03:53] | For the pigs. | 形容猪的 |
[03:56] | My research says they’re very intelligent animals. | 我的研究表明他们是高智商生物 |
[03:58] | Really, that doesn’t sound elitist? | 真的吗 这听起来有够高级的 |
[04:03] | Madam Secretary? | 国务卿女士 |
[04:06] | Ooh. Oh, my goodness. Oh. | 我的天呐 |
[04:09] | She’s so cute. Oh, my God. | 她太可爱了 我的天 |
[04:24] | Agriculture has long been the foundation of this country, | 农业一直以来都是我国坚实的基础 |
[04:27] | beginning, as it did, | 而这伟大行业的起源 |
[04:29] | right here in the great Commonwealth of Virginia, | 正是弗吉尼亚州 |
[04:32] | a land which has yielded so many valuable resources. | 这片土地孕育了无数宝贵的资源 |
[04:37] | And nothing exemplifies that more | 最好的证明 |
[04:41] | than these delicious fried gelatin balls | 就是这些美味的炸果冻球 |
[04:43] | that my son just handed me. | 这是我儿子刚拿给我的 |
[04:46] | I think he tried to offer ’em to the pigs first, | 我觉得他刚才应该是拿这些给小猪吃了 |
[04:48] | but no takers ’cause, as our research tells us, | 但小猪并没有上当 正如研究显示 |
[04:52] | they are highly intelligent animals. | 小猪们都是高智商生物 |
[04:55] | Crowd loves her. | 群众都很喜欢她 |
[04:57] | Yes, they do. | 没错 |
[05:00] | It turns out | 事实证明 |
[05:01] | you can fry anything. | 什么都可以拿去炸 |
[05:04] | You were a huge hit at the fair, ma’am. | 你在那集市受到了一致好评 国务卿 |
[05:06] | Your pig remark is trending. | 你对小猪的评论上热门了 |
[05:08] | Wow, take that, Lincoln and your Gettysburg Address. | 才不管什么林肯的葛底斯堡演说 |
[05:10] | I am going to be known for the pig remark. | 我将以小猪评语闻名于世 |
[05:12] | Yeah, and no fallout from the gelatin lobby | 没错 而且果冻业的人也没意见 |
[05:14] | because they don’t recommend frying their product. | 因为他们也不建议炸果冻 |
[05:16] | – They’re right. – And that’s the last of the good news | -这建议没错 -这是最后的好消息 |
[05:18] | because we need to brief you on Bahrain. | 因为我们需要给你汇报巴林的事 |
[05:20] | Still no fatalities, last I heard. | 我之前收到的信息是尚无人员死亡 |
[05:22] | 37 injured, 36 in good condition. | 37人受伤 36人情况乐观 |
[05:25] | Hey, any update on Ensign… | 那个少尉有新的消息吗 |
[05:27] | Ensign Kelley, yes, ma’am. Oh. | 凯利少尉 有的 国务卿 |
[05:28] | He remains in critical condition. | 他的情况依旧很危险 |
[05:30] | He’s in a medically induced coma | 他目前处于药物引导性昏迷中 |
[05:32] | at a hospital in Manama. | 在麦纳麦的医院里 |
[05:33] | But the base itself | 但基地本身 |
[05:35] | has taken billions of dollars’ worth of damage | 遭受了严重到损失 |
[05:38] | State will need to consult with DOD to renegotiate | 国务院要咨询国防部 |
[05:40] | Bahrain’s out-of-date Defense Cooperation Agreement | 重新商讨更新巴林的《国防合作协议》 |
[05:42] | before another reconstruction can start. | 否则重建工作不能顺利开展 |
[05:44] | By Defense Cooperation Agreement you mean all those | 所谓的《国防合作协议》就是那些 |
[05:46] | no-bid contracts with American companies | 上一任政府的遗留下来的 |
[05:48] | left over from the previous administration? | 和美国公司签订的非投标合同 |
[05:51] | That’s the one. | 没错 |
[05:53] | Why are we renewing this agreement? | 我们为什么要续签协议 |
[05:55] | We’re less and less reliant | 我们对波斯湾 |
[05:56] | on oil from the Persian Gulf. | 石油资源的依赖日渐减少 |
[05:58] | And our peace deal with Iran | 我们和伊朗的和平协议 |
[05:59] | makes it strategically less important. | 让这协议在策略上来说更加不重要了 |
[06:01] | And Bahrain’s human rights’ record has always been bleak. | 而且巴林在人权方面一向表现一般 |
[06:04] | It’s just gotten worse since Prince Obaid was assassinated. | 在奥巴依王子被刺杀后情况就更糟了 |
[06:07] | Why should we spend billions of dollars | 我们为什么要把重金花在一个 |
[06:10] | in a country that shares | 在基本价值观上 |
[06:11] | none of our most basic values? | 与我们毫无共同理念的国家上 |
[06:13] | Well, the primary goal is to monitor shipping routes. | 首要的目标是监控船运航线 |
[06:16] | Once again, | 再者 |
[06:17] | it’s a case of supporting the nations that provide us | 这是为了支持能给我们提供 |
[06:19] | with the greatest economic advantage, | 最大的经济效益的国家 |
[06:21] | not those who value democracy and freedom over… | 而不是那些宣扬民主和自由… |
[06:25] | Yes, Matt, my question was largely rhetorical. | 是的 马特 我的问题其实是设问 |
[06:28] | But I appreciate you being at the ready | 但我很欣赏你随时随地都乐意 |
[06:30] | with your political ire. | 发表政治愤怒的情怀 |
[06:31] | Well, I’m always here for you, ma’am. | 我永远是你忠实的支持者 国务卿 |
[06:34] | All right, Jay, you should go ahead and liaise with DOD | 杰伊 你和国防部联系 |
[06:36] | about the agreement renegotiation. | 商讨续签协议的事 |
[06:38] | But I want to check in with the president. | 但我想跟总统谈谈这问题 |
[06:40] | Which you can do at the dinner for his big-ticket donors | 你可以在今晚他宴请出资人的晚宴上说 |
[06:42] | in exactly two hours, | 晚宴在两小时后开始 |
[06:44] | leaving you enough time to go home and change | 如果你现在马上动身 |
[06:45] | – if you leave right now. – Uh, Madam Secretary, | -就有足够时间换装 -国务卿 |
[06:48] | Zuhair Mossadek, the foreign minister from Tunisia, | 突尼斯的外交部长 祖海尔·莫斯达 |
[06:51] | is waiting for you in my office. | 在我办公室等你 |
[06:53] | You scheduled 15 minutes with him months ago. | 你在数月前安排了15分钟的会晤 |
[06:55] | Would you prefer that I take | 您需要我代您 |
[06:56] | – that meeting without you? – No, no, no, no, no. | -见他吗 -不不不 |
[06:57] | I-I– just go get him. | 叫他过来 |
[06:58] | If I skip my updo, I can give him… | 如果我不做头发 可以给他 |
[07:01] | ten minutes stationary, | 十分钟室内会面 |
[07:01] | five on the move. | 另外五分钟边走边说 |
[07:03] | Come on, guys, get rid of this. | 快把这玩意扔掉吧 |
[07:06] | Okay, am I the only one worried that this primary | 好吧 只有我一个人担心 |
[07:08] | is a little too exciting for an incumbent president? | 我们阵营太笃定总统能连任这事吗 |
[07:10] | Dalton’s polls aren’t great. | 道尔顿的民调结果不怎么样 |
[07:12] | Sam Evans’ numbers are rising. | 山姆·埃文斯的支持率在上升 |
[07:13] | Nobody’s gonna vote for the governor from Pennsylvania. | 没有人会给宾夕法尼亚州长投票 |
[07:16] | I mean, what’s his platform? | 他的竞选宣言是什么 |
[07:17] | Cheesesteaks? | 奶酪牛肉三明治吗 |
[07:18] | American-made chocolate? | 还是美国制造的巧克力 |
[07:20] | There’s a reason why there’s never been a president | 从没有来自宾夕法尼亚的人当选过总统 |
[07:22] | from Pennsylvania. | 是有原因的 |
[07:23] | – James Buchanan. – Like I said. | -詹姆斯·布坎南 -正如我说的 |
[07:25] | Evans is hammering on national security, | 埃文斯在国家安全问题上作文章 |
[07:27] | Dalton’s peace treaty with Iran, | 道尔顿和伊朗的和平条约 |
[07:28] | – the Buckley trade. – He would have to win | -还有巴克利交换 -他如果要得到提名 |
[07:30] | landslide victories in every remaining primary | 必须要在剩下的每一次初选中 |
[07:32] | to get the nomination. | 都获得压倒性胜利 |
[07:33] | It’s practically impossible. | 这几乎不可能 |
[07:35] | Yeah. | 对 |
[07:36] | Practically. | 几乎不可能 |
[07:38] | May I remind you that our country | 能否容许我提醒您一下 |
[07:40] | was the spark | 2011年是我们国家 |
[07:41] | that lit the Arab Spring in 2011, | 燃起了阿拉伯之春的火苗 |
[07:43] | and years later we’re the only Arab country | 几年之后我们是唯一一个 |
[07:45] | that emerged with a functioning democracy. | 发展出民主政体的阿拉伯国家 |
[07:47] | We have no sectarian divisions, | 我们国家没有宗派分裂 |
[07:49] | a history of moderate Islam, | 历史上一直都是温和派伊斯兰 |
[07:51] | widespread literacy, and a small army | 民众的文化程度很普及 |
[07:53] | loyal to a civilian government. | 还有一支规模很小的军队忠于国民政府 |
[07:55] | We’re the best hope in the Muslim world | 我们是穆斯林世界中最大的希望 |
[07:56] | and you know it, Madam Secretary. | 你是知道的 国务卿女士 |
[07:57] | And I assure you that everyone | 而且我向你保证 |
[07:59] | in the president’s administration is aware of that. | 政府里的每个人都知道 |
[08:02] | So, I’d like to believe the only reason | 那我想 连十五分钟的会面时间 |
[08:03] | I’m reduced to following you to the elevator | 都要我一路跟你进电梯才能凑够的 |
[08:05] | to achieve a full 15 minutes of your time | 唯一的原因应该不会是 |
[08:08] | is not because we lack oil or other resources | 我们国家没有可以让美国开发的 |
[08:10] | for the United States to exploit. | 石油或者其他资源吧 |
[08:12] | But, well, you can understand why I might | 你应该能理解为什么 |
[08:15] | have that impression. | 我会有这种想法 |
[08:16] | We appreciate the direction | 我们很欣慰能看到 |
[08:18] | your country is headed | 你们国家的发展方向 |
[08:19] | and we are optimistic that | 我们也很看好 |
[08:21] | we can further our good relations. | 未来我们能够深化两国友谊 |
[08:23] | And as I said, I will do everything I can. | 正如我说过的 我会尽我所能 |
[08:26] | I never thought that the United States | 我从来没想到 |
[08:28] | was a country which acted | 美国会是一个 |
[08:29] | entirely out of strategic advantage. | 完全根据战略利益而行动的国家 |
[08:33] | For that, I can depend on Russia or China. | 如果是那样 我可以投靠俄罗斯或者中国 |
[08:35] | I thought you represented something more. | 我以为你们不只考虑战略利益 |
[08:41] | Perhaps I’m just an idealist. | 或许我只是一个理想主义者 |
[08:44] | That’s what comes from being a democracy. | 但这就是民主政体带来的影响 |
[08:49] | And we’ll pick up tomorrow with Augustine. | 我们明天接着讲奥古斯丁 |
[08:51] | Well, well, look at this. | 看看你啊 |
[08:54] | Did you happen to catch any philosophy? | 你不会听了我的哲学课吧 |
[08:56] | Yeah, but I got a strong immune system. | 是啊 但我免疫系统很强 |
[09:01] | You have time for coffee? | 你有时间喝杯咖啡吗 |
[09:02] | Or better yet, happy hour? | 或者喝杯酒 |
[09:03] | I can’t. I’ve got an event with Elizabeth. | 不行 我要和伊丽莎白参加一个活动 |
[09:06] | Then I guess I’ll do the quick version. | 那我就开门见山吧 |
[09:10] | We’re getting the band back together. | 我们要重新恢复机构 |
[09:11] | They sent me to talk you into it. | 他们派我来说服你 |
[09:13] | Murphy Station? Why? | 墨菲追踪总部 为什么 |
[09:14] | Black Dog Station. | 黑犬追踪总部 |
[09:16] | New mission. | 新任务 |
[09:17] | Russell has got to stop with the code names. | 拉塞尔不能再想那么多代号了 |
[09:20] | What’s the objective? | 目标是什么 |
[09:22] | Intel has located some surviving members | 有情报发现利比亚和阿尔及利亚 |
[09:24] | of Hizb al-Shahid in Libya and Algeria. | 有一些殉教者党的残余势力 |
[09:27] | Seems that’s where they decamped after the drone attacks. | 似乎无人机攻击之后他们就是从那里撤走的 |
[09:29] | They want us to finish the job. | 他们想让我们做个收尾工作 |
[09:31] | Well, look, Jose, as much as I enjoyed | 何塞 虽然我很喜欢 |
[09:33] | almost dying with you… | 差点跟你一起死掉的经历 |
[09:36] | Stop whining. | 别发牢骚了 |
[09:36] | You didn’t get a scratch. | 你毫发未伤 |
[09:38] | Oh, hey, don’t forget who performed | 别忘了是谁 |
[09:39] | the fake last rites on you. | 向你托付了临终遗言 |
[09:41] | Yeah, and heaven spit me back out. | 对 天堂把我赶回来了 |
[09:42] | You can thank me for that, too. | 你也可以谢谢我 |
[09:45] | Look… | 听着 |
[09:46] | I just started teaching again | 我才刚刚重新开始教书 |
[09:48] | and I’m really enjoying having more time with my family. | 我也很开心能有更多的时间陪家人 |
[09:52] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[09:53] | You’re gonna sit this out for Monday night Monopoly? | 你愿意为了每周一晚的大富翁游戏袖手旁观 |
[09:57] | I didn’t get into this for the adventure. | 我不是因为喜欢冒险才加入的 |
[10:00] | I know. | 我知道 |
[10:02] | You’re a great patriot | 你是一个很棒的爱国者 |
[10:04] | and the country needs you, pal. | 这个国家需要你 兄弟 |
[10:06] | And I don’t have time to haze another religious egghead. | 我没有时间再去找一个宗教理论家了 |
[10:09] | Well, when you put it like that, | 既然你这么说了 |
[10:12] | I’ll think about it. | 那我考虑一下吧 |
[10:13] | Okay. | 好 |
[10:14] | I’ll tell them you’re in. | 我告诉他们你同意了 |
[10:17] | I didn’t say that. | 我没有说 |
[10:24] | This draft looks solid. | 这份草案看起来不错 |
[10:26] | Remember, any adjustment to the rotation schedule | 记住 任何对轮换安排的调整 |
[10:27] | has to meet the definition of minimum credible deterrence, | 都要符合可靠的最低限度威慑的定义 |
[10:30] | so make sure we include language saying that | 所以一定要有相关的表述 |
[10:32] | the Bahrainis have to consult | 称巴林人 |
[10:34] | with the Secretary of the Navy | 在关闭任何设施之前 |
[10:35] | – before closing any facilities. – Got it. | -必须要和美国海军部长商议 -知道了 |
[10:38] | Other than that, we’re good to go. | 除此之外就没什么了 |
[10:41] | I guess I’ll see you next storm of the century. | 那就下次风暴之后见了 |
[10:43] | Yeah, which will be in what, about three years? | 那是多久 三年之后吗 |
[10:45] | Let’s hope not. | 希望不是 |
[10:46] | Sure, let’s hope. That ought to work. | 是啊 希望吧 那样就没问题了 |
[10:49] | I’m sorry. It’s a bug up my ass. | 对不起 我必须要说 |
[10:52] | Just four years ago, the base in Singapore was hit with | 四年前 我们在新加坡的军事基地 |
[10:54] | a similar once in a lifetime storm. | 经历了一次类似的罕见风暴 |
[10:57] | Billions of dollars in damage. | 造成了数十亿美元的损失 |
[10:59] | These weather events are happening every year. | 这种意外每年都在发生 |
[11:01] | And all our internal reports are falling on deaf ears. | 所有的内部报告都被无视了 |
[11:04] | Sea levels are rising. | 海平面在上升 |
[11:06] | And what we should be doing is | 我们应该做的 |
[11:07] | raising every single U.S. Naval base around the world. | 是提升每一个美国海军基地的海拔 |
[11:12] | But we both know that’ll never happen. | 但是我们都知道那是不可能的 |
[11:14] | How do we know that? | 为什么 |
[11:15] | Ask your boss. | 问你上司 |
[11:23] | I dare you to yell out “Capital gains tax,” | 你敢不敢喊一声 资本收益税 |
[11:25] | see what happens. | 看看会怎么样 |
[11:26] | Be safer to yell “Fire.” | 还是喊着火了安全些 |
[11:30] | Okay. | 好了 |
[11:31] | Here we go. Deep breath. | 深呼吸 |
[11:34] | Be nice. | 态度好点 |
[11:35] | What? I’m an ethics teacher. | 怎么了 我只是个伦理学老师 |
[11:37] | I was talking to myself. | 我在跟我自己说话 |
[11:39] | Okay. So, here’s the deal. | 好了 计划是这样的 |
[11:41] | You need to charm the pants off everyone here, | 你要用你的魅力让这里的每一个人为你着迷 |
[11:44] | ’cause we need their full support for you as VP. | 因为我们需要他们全力支持你当副总统 |
[11:46] | – Okay. – You got it? | -好 -知道了吗 |
[11:47] | Hi, Russell. | 拉塞尔 |
[11:49] | Try not to talk about religion. | 尽量别谈宗教 |
[11:50] | – No, I only do that for a salary. – Great. | -不 我只在课上才谈宗教 -太好了 |
[11:52] | So, Bess, first things first. | 贝丝 头一件事 |
[11:55] | You need to meet Julius Burton. | 你要见见朱利尔斯·波顿 |
[11:57] | Lead the way. | 你带路吧 |
[11:59] | Bar. | 我去酒吧那边 |
[12:00] | Yeah. | 好 |
[12:02] | So, what else do I need to know, other than billionaire, | 我还需要知道什么 除了他是个亿万富翁 |
[12:04] | multinational conglomerate, key government contracts, | 跨国集团老总 手里有关键的政府合约 |
[12:07] | married for 32 years to Dixie– | 和迪克西结婚三十二年了 |
[12:09] | if I read that right– | 不知道我的发音对不对 |
[12:11] | two sons and four grandchildren? | 有两个儿子和四个孙子 |
[12:13] | He’s a birder. | 他喜欢鸟 |
[12:16] | He watches birds. You know, with binoculars. | 他喜欢看鸟 用望远镜看 |
[12:18] | For some reason, people do that. | 不知道为什么 有人喜欢 |
[12:20] | Julius! | 朱利尔斯 |
[12:21] | Madam Secretary, a pleasure to meet you at last. | 国务卿女士 很高兴终于见到你了 |
[12:25] | Even more lovely in person. | 你本人更可爱 |
[12:27] | – Well, thank you, Mr. Burton. – Julius. | -谢谢 波顿先生 -叫我朱利尔斯 |
[12:29] | Uh, is Dixie here tonight? | 迪克西今晚来了吗 |
[12:31] | We lost her to the caviar table. | 她沉醉在鱼子酱里了 |
[12:35] | I hope you won’t mind a moment of shop talk. | 我希望你们不介意我谈点公事 |
[12:38] | Oh. Please. | 请讲 |
[12:40] | How is the refurbishment process going, | 巴林的海军基地翻修工程 |
[12:42] | on the naval base in Bahrain? | 进行得怎么样了 |
[12:44] | I heard that your policy guy met with somebody in DOD | 我听说你们的一个政策官员今天下午 |
[12:48] | just this afternoon. | 和国防部的一个人见了面 |
[12:49] | Redrafting the Defense Cooperation Agreement, yes. | 是的 是为了重新起草国防合作协议的事情 |
[12:52] | I hope that you will make this a priority. | 我希望你们能优先处理这件事情 |
[12:55] | I know the State can get distracted with other matters, | 我知道政府会被其他的事情分散注意力 |
[12:59] | but it is dangerous to leave our military needs stranded. | 但是军事需求被耽误了是很危险的 |
[13:02] | I understand. W… we actually… | 我明白 我们很长时间 |
[13:05] | were a military family | 都是一个 |
[13:06] | – for a long time… – The world is safer | -军事大家庭 -我们的军事基地安全了 |
[13:09] | when our bases are safer. | 这个世界就更加安全了 |
[13:11] | Bad weather can become a matter of national security. | 恶劣的天气可能会影响国家安全 |
[13:15] | Right. | 对 |
[13:16] | But when you have a company | 但如果你和政府 |
[13:18] | with a no-bid contract for military bases, | 有一份军事基地的合同的话 |
[13:21] | you can’t exactly consider it bad weather, right? | 这天气也不算太糟糕 对吧 |
[13:25] | Speaking of nature, I hear you’re a birder. | 说到大自然 我听说您喜欢鸟 |
[13:28] | Tell me about that. | 跟我讲讲吧 |
[13:31] | It started in college… | 那是我大学的时候 |
[13:33] | Hello, Henry. | 亨利 |
[13:35] | Conrad. Good to see you. | 康拉德 很高兴见到你 |
[13:36] | Lydia’s hoping to carve out a moment with you. | 莉迪亚想和你聊一会儿 |
[13:38] | First spouse to second spouse kind of thing. | 第一任和第二任之间那种 |
[13:41] | I’ll give you a heads-up | 我给你提个醒 |
[13:42] | about the relentless scrutiny headed your way. | 会有残酷的复查等着你 |
[13:44] | Don’t let it scare you. | 不要被吓到 |
[13:45] | I think I can handle it. | 我觉得我能应付得来 |
[13:47] | The husband of the vice president isn’t exactly | 副总统的丈夫在竞选中 |
[13:49] | a high-profile element of the campaign. | 并不是引人注目的部分 |
[13:51] | You’d be surprised. You test pretty well. | 那可说不好 你的测试做得非常好 |
[13:54] | I’m afraid they’re gonna try you out | 我恐怕他们一有机会 |
[13:55] | in front of the cameras any chance they get. | 就会在镜头面前考验你 |
[13:58] | I hope you don’t have any pie in the sky plans | 希望你没有什么 |
[14:00] | for a life of your own. | 不切实际的计划 |
[14:03] | Made one tiny little joke | 开了一个小小的玩笑 |
[14:06] | which he totally had coming, | 而他完全预料得到 |
[14:08] | and Russell acted like I barfed on the guy. | 拉塞尔表现得像我对着那人呕吐一样 |
[14:11] | He probably would’ve preferred that. | 他可能更希望那样 |
[14:14] | What if I can’t do this? | 如果我做不到呢 |
[14:16] | You can do it. | 你能做到 |
[14:17] | You just got to think of the bigger picture. | 你只需想想更远大的图景 |
[14:19] | Tonight was just not a fun night. That’s all. | 今晚不是个有趣的夜晚 仅此而已 |
[14:25] | What happened? | 怎么了 |
[14:27] | Just… | 只是 |
[14:28] | Conrad gave me a speech about | 康拉德给我讲了一番 |
[14:30] | when they campaign, we campaign, | 当他们竞选时 我们也要竞选 |
[14:33] | and so I should maybe cut back on my work. | 所以我可能应该减少我的工作 |
[14:36] | Well, that’s crazy. | 这也太过分了 |
[14:37] | You… you’re not even teaching that many classes. | 你根本就没上几节课 |
[14:41] | He wasn’t talking about teaching. | 他说的不是上课 |
[14:44] | Jose came to see me today. | 何塞今天来找我了 |
[14:47] | they’re putting together another | 他们要组建另一支 |
[14:48] | anti-terror work group. I didn’t commit. | 反恐小组 我没表态 |
[14:51] | But you wanted to. | 但你想去 |
[14:53] | And now you feel like you can’t. | 现在你觉得你不能 |
[14:55] | This is crazy. | 这太疯狂了 |
[14:56] | We actually have jobs that make a difference in the world | 我们拥有能够改变世界的工作 |
[14:59] | and we’re giving them up? For what? | 却要放弃这项工作吗 为了什么 |
[15:02] | For county fairs and billionaire dinners? | 为了县集市和亿万富翁宴会吗 |
[15:05] | That’s just the campaign. | 那只是竞选而已 |
[15:07] | The job is still kind of important. | 这份工作还是挺重要的 |
[15:09] | Do you remember what Conrad said | 你还记得康拉德 |
[15:10] | when he first talked to you about secretary of state? | 第一次和你聊到国务卿时所说的吗 |
[15:13] | That we could effect real change in the world. | 他说我们能够真正改变世界 |
[15:15] | Exactly. This is an even bigger opportunity to do that. | 的确 这次是更大的机会来改变世界 |
[15:18] | You got to take it. | 你应该接受 |
[15:21] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[15:22] | – Hi, Mom. – Morning. Hi. | -妈妈 -早上好 |
[15:23] | Sorry, my hair staged a rebellion. | 对不起 我的头发起义了 |
[15:26] | You look great. | 你看起来很棒 |
[15:26] | Totally vice presidential. | 完全是副总统的样子 |
[15:28] | – Jason. – Jason. – I told you, | -杰森 -杰森 -我告诉过你 |
[15:29] | that information is on complete lockdown until July. | 这消息在七月之前要守口如瓶 |
[15:33] | We’re in our house. | 我们在自己家 |
[15:34] | You have to pretend like you don’t know anything. | 但你还是要装作什么都不知道 |
[15:37] | Seriously. Ignorance as a plus? This is your moment. | 现在无知成了优点 真是属于你的时刻 |
[15:39] | Really, pal. You got to toe the line on this one. | 真的 在这点上你必须遵守规则 |
[15:41] | Okay, I got it. | 好的 明白 |
[15:43] | Guys, look at the flat Jareth found for us | 看杰瑞斯在Airbnb上给我们找的 |
[15:45] | – in Oxford on Airbnb. – Isn’t it amazing? | -牛津的公寓 -是不是很棒 |
[15:47] | You’re inviting us over, right? Summer in England? | 你在邀请我们过去 对吧 英国的夏天 |
[15:50] | That would be so cool. | 太酷了 |
[15:52] | Okay. My computer is officially possessed. | 我的电脑是彻底疯了 |
[15:53] | It keeps crashing. | 老是死机 |
[15:55] | Maybe it’s embarrassed you’re still playing Minecraft. | 可能是你一直玩《我的世界》它觉得太尴尬了 |
[15:58] | I’m trying to upload my homework assignment. | 我在上传我的家庭作业 |
[16:00] | It’s been acting like this for a couple of days. | 这几天它一直这样 |
[16:02] | Here, give it to me. | 把电脑给我 |
[16:03] | I’ll take it to the White House, | 我把它带到白宫 |
[16:04] | see if Oliver Shaw can fix it. | 看奥利弗·肖能不能修好 |
[16:05] | Isn’t that overkill? | 那难道不过分吗 |
[16:07] | Well, I’ve got to go there anyway. | 反正我要去白宫 |
[16:08] | Check in with Jose, officially turn down the consulting gig. | 到何塞那儿报到 正式拒绝咨询工作 |
[16:12] | Figure I might as well enjoy the last of the perks. | 想着我还是享受一下最后的特权 |
[16:14] | I think there might be some perks | 我想作为副总统 |
[16:15] | to being Mr. Vice President. | 还是有一些特权吧 |
[16:16] | – Jason! – I’m sorry! | -杰森 -对不起 |
[16:19] | The guy at DOD gave me a not-so-subtle prompt | 国防部的那个家伙提醒我要发掘内部报告 |
[16:22] | to go digging for internal reports. | 别那么隐晦 |
[16:24] | Turns out there were several over the last decade | 事实证明 过去十年是有些报告关于 |
[16:27] | about rising sea levels and extreme weather patterns. | 海平面上升和极端天气模式的 |
[16:30] | – That’s not exactly breaking news, Jay. – As well as | -这算不上什么爆炸新闻 杰伊 -还有 |
[16:33] | several proposals to raise all naval bases to prepare, | 一些报告建议增高所有海军基地 |
[16:37] | something Burton Standard Enterprises knew | 波顿标准企业 |
[16:39] | when they refurbished the Bahraini base two years ago. | 在两年前翻新巴林基地时就知道 |
[16:42] | Okay, that’s different. | 这就不同了 |
[16:43] | They ignored the proposal. Why? | 他们忽视了提案 为什么 |
[16:45] | Because according to Congress, sea levels aren’t rising. | 因为据国会所说 海平面不会上升 |
[16:47] | And if we did raise the bases, | 如果我们增高了基地 |
[16:50] | that would trigger an entirely new agreement negotiation. | 就会触发一场全新的协议谈判 |
[16:54] | And guys like Julius Burton | 像朱利尔斯·波顿那样的人 |
[16:57] | would probably lose their no-bid contracts. | 可能会失去他们的非投标合同 |
[16:59] | All along DOD has been clear that climate change | 国防部自始至终都清楚 对于海外军事力量 |
[17:02] | is one of the biggest looming threats to forces overseas | 气候变化是逐渐逼近的最大威胁之一 |
[17:04] | because they actually have to prepare for reality. | 因为他们必须为现实做准备 |
[17:08] | But the party’s deluded stance on the issue has prevented them | 但他们在这个问题上遭到了欺骗 |
[17:10] | from doing anything about it. | 以至于最后无动于衷 |
[17:13] | Just… I’m sorry. Just venting. | 对不起 只是发泄一下 |
[17:16] | I know there’s nothing we can do. | 我知道我们什么也做不了 |
[17:19] | That’s what they always say. | 他们总是这么说 |
[17:23] | Until somebody does. | 直到有人做了 |
[17:26] | What day is it? | 今天星期几 |
[17:27] | Wednesday? | 星期三吗 |
[17:29] | Let’s change the world. | 让我们来改变世界 |
[17:40] | Oh, this is not good. | 情况不妙 |
[17:41] | What? Someone’s hacked into the webcam. | 什么 有人侵入了网络摄像头 |
[17:44] | Looks like they’ve been turning it on and watching | 似乎每次他联网 |
[17:46] | every time he’s connected to the Internet. | 他们就打开摄像头进行监视 |
[17:48] | – How… can that happen? – It could be a | -这怎么可能发生 -可能是 |
[17:49] | piece of Trojan software buried in a game he downloaded. | 一种木马软件 隐藏在他下载的游戏里 |
[17:54] | Some computer-savvy creep at school | 一些学校的电脑黑客上传的 |
[17:55] | could have uploaded it without his knowing. Or… | 而他不知道 或者 |
[18:00] | it could be something else. | 可能是其他情况 |
[18:01] | And given who Jason’s parents are, | 鉴于杰森的父母的身份 |
[18:02] | the security implications could be larger. | 安全影响可能会更大 |
[18:05] | Right. | 是的 |
[18:07] | You should take this to the FBI for further examination. | 你应该带电脑到联邦调查局做进一步检查 |
[18:10] | Just to be safe. | 为了安全起见 |
[18:12] | Okay. Yeah. | 好的 |
[18:14] | Uh… Thanks, Oliver. | 谢谢 奥利弗 |
[18:18] | Did you know that sugar subsidies totaled | 你们知道去年糖补贴总额 |
[18:21] | over $258 million in the last year? | 达2.58亿吗 |
[18:25] | Imagine how many soldiers | 试想用那些钱我们可以 |
[18:26] | we can put in body armor with that money. | 给多少士兵穿上防弹衣 |
[18:29] | If we want to unleash the free market | 如果我们想要释放自由市场 |
[18:31] | and keep America safe, | 保证美国安全 |
[18:33] | we can’t afford four more years of frivolous handouts. | 我们不能再承担四年无用的救济品 |
[18:36] | Frivolous? | 无用的 |
[18:36] | Governor, I’ll tell you what’s frivolous: a politician | 州长 我来告诉你什么是无用的 |
[18:40] | who talks a big game about supporting the military | 一个号称要支持军队的政治家 |
[18:42] | and then criticizes the very policies that keep us safe. | 批判能够保证我们安全的政策 |
[18:44] | I wouldn’t jump on the word “Frivolous.” | 我不会选择”无用”这个词 |
[18:47] | It makes you sound… | 它让你听起来 |
[18:50] | Frivolous? | 无用 |
[18:52] | But he started it. | 但他先开始的 |
[18:54] | Sorry to interrupt. | 抱歉 打扰一下 |
[18:55] | Sir, we need to talk. How are you, Russell? | 我们得谈一谈 你好 拉塞尔 |
[18:57] | – I am very Sam Evans. – That can’t be fun. | -我是山姆·埃文斯 -并不好笑 |
[19:00] | Take a seat. I could use a break. | 坐吧 我也该休息一下 |
[19:02] | I need to know why, | 我需要知道为什么 |
[19:03] | when every respected climate scientist | 当全国每一位德高望重的气候学家 |
[19:05] | in the country had warned that the Bahraini base | 都警告巴林基地会受飓风影响 |
[19:08] | was subject to damage from cyclones, | 遭到破坏时 |
[19:10] | Burton Standard Enterprises did nothing to address the problem | 波顿标准企业两年前在翻新基地时 |
[19:13] | when it refurbished the base just two years ago? | 没有去解决这个问题 |
[19:15] | Okay. | 好了 |
[19:16] | Can we have the room? | 大家都出去 |
[19:20] | I’m s… sorry. I thought… | 对不起 我认为 |
[19:24] | I thought that they should hear it. | 我认为他们应该听听 |
[19:28] | You thought the campaign team | 你认为竞选团队 |
[19:30] | should hear you lighting into the business practices | 应该听到你打击 |
[19:33] | of one of the president’s biggest donors? | 总统最大捐赠人之一的商业惯例吗 |
[19:34] | Much bigger than that. | 比那要严重 |
[19:36] | What? | 什么 |
[19:37] | It’s not just the denial | 不仅是否认气候变化 |
[19:38] | of climate change that’s holding us back, | 牵制了我们 |
[19:40] | even the location of the base is further evidence that | 基地的位置更进一步证明 |
[19:43] | we’re stuck in old thinking. | 我们太过固守成见 |
[19:45] | Why are we still in Bahrain at all? | 我们为什么还在巴林 |
[19:49] | Why should the U.S. | 为什么美国 |
[19:50] | spend its blood and treasure in the Persian Gulf, | 应该在波斯湾挥洒鲜血挥霍财富 |
[19:53] | aiding and defending states with atrocious human rights records, | 帮助和防卫那些拥有残暴人权纪录的国家 |
[19:58] | while countries like Tunisia | 然而像突尼斯那样 |
[19:59] | who actually share our values– | 真正和我们拥有共同价值观的国家 |
[20:02] | go unaided? | 却得不到帮助 |
[20:03] | As poetic as that sounds, Bess, | 尽管听起来很诗意 贝丝 |
[20:06] | that’s a pretty simplified take on | 这是对世界上最复杂地区之一 |
[20:08] | one of the world’s most complicated regions. | 所持有的相当天真的态度 |
[20:10] | There’s this new thing called terrorism. | 有种新的东西叫恐怖主义 |
[20:12] | It’s really catching on. | 很是流行 |
[20:13] | Bahrain has nothing to do with our strategy to fight terrorism. | 巴林和我们的反恐政策毫无关系 |
[20:17] | And we need to be honest with ourselves | 我们需要面对现实 |
[20:19] | about the real challenges we face, | 面对真正的挑战 |
[20:23] | or we are going to face a future | 否则我们将面对一个越来越多的 |
[20:25] | with more and more American lives sacrificed, and for what? | 美国生命被牺牲的未来 为了什么呢 |
[20:29] | Preserving the power of people like Julius Burton? | 保护像朱利尔斯·波顿那样的人的势力吗 |
[20:33] | I mean, exactly when did the United States | 到底什么时候开始 |
[20:35] | start making every decision based on | 美国的每个决策 |
[20:37] | strategic and politically expedient reasons? | 都以战略和政治考虑为重 |
[20:41] | If we partner with nations | 如果我们与其他国家合作 |
[20:43] | just to remain dominant on the world stage, | 仅仅是为了维护在国际舞台上的统治地位 |
[20:45] | how are we any less imperialistic | 那我们和俄罗斯以及中国那样的帝国主义 |
[20:48] | than Russia or China? | 又有什么区别 |
[20:50] | I think we are at a critical juncture in human history | 我们现在处于人类历史上的一个重要节点 |
[20:54] | and the U.S. needs to completely overhaul | 美国需要全面地审视 |
[20:58] | its relationship with the international community. | 与他国的关系 |
[21:00] | How could you seriously suggest a complete change | 你居然在竞选期间建议我 |
[21:03] | of U.S. foreign policy during an election | 彻底改变外交政策 |
[21:06] | which I am barely winning? | 而且目前我尚无任何胜算 |
[21:07] | I’m already backed against the wall | 我已经毫无退路了 |
[21:09] | for allowing a dirty bomb attack on my watch, | 在我的任内发生了脏弹袭击 |
[21:11] | not to mention trading a treacherous spy to the Russians | 更不用说出于某些不可告人的原因 |
[21:14] | for reasons that I can’t disclose. | 用一个叛国的间谍与俄罗斯人做交易 |
[21:17] | And now you expect me to explain to the American people | 现在你还想让我告诉美国人民 |
[21:20] | that I’m going to pull stakes | 我要将军队撤离 |
[21:22] | on a major strategic position in the Middle East? | 中东的一个战略要地 |
[21:24] | And totally alienate my biggest donor in the process? | 并且彻底拒绝我最大的赞助人 |
[21:30] | What good is bold idealism | 如果无法赢下第二任期 |
[21:32] | if it all but guarantees the loss of a second term? | 这些狂妄的理想主义又有什么用 |
[21:35] | I’m talking about doing what’s right. | 我在说的是怎么做才是正确的 |
[21:38] | And I’m talking about winning. | 而我要的是赢下选举 |
[21:42] | You’re not gonna get fired. | 他不会开除你的 |
[21:44] | Because that would be a crazy thing to do | 你这么有价值 |
[21:45] | during an election, because you’re too valuable. | 在竞选期间解雇你太不明智了 |
[21:48] | Should’ve said that one first. | 我应该先说这句的 |
[21:49] | I’m sure he’s rethinking the VP position. | 他肯定在重新考虑他的副总统人选了 |
[21:52] | And I can’t really blame him. | 这也无可厚非 |
[21:54] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[21:55] | I’m sure that Conrad appreciates your passion. | 康拉德很欣赏你的激情 |
[21:57] | Okay, let’s go with that one. | 好吧 顺其自然吧 |
[22:00] | How’s your day? Did you get Jason’s computer fixed? | 你今天怎么样 杰森的电脑修好了吗 |
[22:03] | Well, I’m afraid that’s more bad news. | 说来又是坏消息 |
[22:05] | It got hacked somehow. | 电脑被黑了 |
[22:07] | It’s probably just some kids fooling around, | 很可能只是小孩子瞎闹 |
[22:08] | but I’m taking it to the FBI | 不过我现在正把电脑带去联调局 |
[22:10] | to make sure it’s not a more serious breach. | 确保没有更严重的漏洞 |
[22:12] | – Really? – Yeah, it’s probably | -真的假的 -很有可能 |
[22:13] | that kid George from his chemistry class. | 是化学课上那个叫乔治的小孩 |
[22:15] | You know, the troll? | 那个喷子 |
[22:16] | That’s not nice. | 不是什么好事 |
[22:17] | No, no. He’s a troller. | 不不 他是个网络暴民 |
[22:18] | He trolls. | 愤世嫉俗到处攻击人 |
[22:19] | Uh, he hacked a cheerleader’s Tumblr account. | 他黑过一个拉拉队长的Tumblr账户 |
[22:22] | Well… | 好吧 |
[22:31] | Henry, are you there? | 亨利 你还在吗 |
[22:33] | Henry? | 亨利 |
[22:40] | Guys, we’re home. | 我们回来了 |
[22:43] | – Are you okay? – Yes, please, no fussing. | -没事吧 -没事 别大惊小怪的 |
[22:45] | – Dad! – I’m fine, I’m fine. | -爸 -我没事 真的 |
[22:46] | Dad, you were mugged. It’s a big deal. | 爸 你被抢劫了 这事很严重 |
[22:48] | Oh, come on, he was in Desert Storm. | 拜托 他可是参加过沙漠风暴的 |
[22:49] | He’s probably fine. | 能有什么事 |
[22:50] | Plenty of people survive war and then get killed | 很多人在战争中幸存了下来 |
[22:52] | in stupid acts of gun violence. | 却在愚蠢的持枪暴力事件中被杀 |
[22:53] | There was no gun. This was bat violence. | 没有枪 是持棍暴力 |
[22:55] | Did you break anything? | 有没有骨折 |
[22:56] | I cracked two ribs, but they’re two | 断了两根肋骨 不过那两根 |
[22:57] | I don’t use very often, so I’m fine. | 平时也不怎么用得到 所以没事 |
[22:59] | Okay, grab a seat, Captain Stoical. | 好了 坚强队长 快坐下吧 |
[23:01] | Jace, I’m sorry, but they got your computer. | 小杰 抱歉 他们抢了你的电脑 |
[23:04] | It’s jacked-up anyway. | 反正也坏了 |
[23:05] | I’m psyched for the upgrade. | 系统升级都快把我逼疯了 |
[23:06] | Okay, look, why don’t you guys go in and make some dinner | 今天你们来做晚饭吧 |
[23:08] | and Dad will limp in in a few minutes. | 你们的伤员老爸一会就过来 |
[23:10] | Yeah, okay, come on, guys. | 好的 没问题 快起来 |
[23:11] | Operation Tacos? | “玉米饼大作战” |
[23:12] | No, grilled cheese. | 不要 烤乳酪三明治 |
[23:13] | No, ramen. It never lets you down. | 不行 我要吃拉面 百吃不厌 |
[23:15] | So, no other news from the FBI? | 联调局那边有消息吗 |
[23:17] | No, the plates were untraceable. | 追踪不到车牌 |
[23:19] | They said we shouldn’t jump to conclusions. | 他们说我们先别妄下结论 |
[23:21] | Like it was a concerted, | 比如这是一次有预谋 |
[23:22] | organized effort to get the computer? | 有组织的行动 目的是获得那台电脑 |
[23:25] | Yeah, like that. | 差不多 |
[23:27] | Anyway, | 不管怎样 |
[23:28] | they’re handling it now. We shouldn’t worry about it. | 现在这事他们在处理 不用担心 |
[23:30] | Great, I feel completely relaxed. | 这话真是让人放心 |
[23:32] | And I’ve got this Jane Pauley interview. | 我一会儿有个简·保利的采访 |
[23:34] | Do you want me to cancel? | 要取消掉吗 |
[23:35] | No, of course not. | 不用 当然不要取消 |
[23:36] | We’ve got plenty of time to stress about this. | 这事我们有的是时间来紧张 |
[23:38] | Plus, if you stay here, | 还有 你如果不走 |
[23:39] | you’ll have to eat grilled cheese ramen tacos. | 就得吃烤乳酪拉面玉米饼了 |
[23:41] | – Go, save yourself. – Okay. | -快跑 -好吧 |
[23:43] | – Bye. – Bye. | -再见 -再见 |
[23:46] | So, Madam Secretary, | 国务卿女士 |
[23:47] | with the presidential primary debate only moments away, | 总统竞选的预选辩论马上就要开始了 |
[23:51] | it’s a good time to address the elephant in the room. | 现在可以聊聊您一直避而不谈的问题了吧 |
[23:55] | 《简·保利秀》 独家专访 美国国务卿伊丽莎白·麦考德 | |
[23:55] | If President Dalton secures the nomination, | 如果道尔顿总统获得提名 |
[23:57] | do you expect to be offered the position of Vice President? | 您是否将被任命为副总统 |
[24:01] | And will you accept? | 您会接受这一任命吗 |
[24:03] | 《简·保利秀》 独家专访 美国国务卿伊丽莎白·麦考德 | |
[24:03] | Well, I am unfamiliar | 我不是很了解 |
[24:06] | with that elephant. | 你说的这件事情 |
[24:08] | Well, you can’t be unfamiliar, with the speculation | 您怎么会不了解呢 很多人都猜测 |
[24:11] | that Vice President Delgado having health problems, | 副总统德尔加多健康状况不容乐观 |
[24:14] | that you are the most obvious replacement. | 而您正是最佳继任人选 |
[24:17] | Look, uh, the president still has the nomination to win | 总统还未确保党内提名 |
[24:20] | and I, I am, well, I have my hands full with my day job. | 而我忙于处理手头的事务 |
[24:25] | Speaking of that, | 说到您手头的事务 |
[24:27] | the recent superstorm that severely damaged | 近期位于巴林的美国海军基地 |
[24:30] | a U.S. naval base in Bahrain | 因受超级风暴侵袭而遭受重创 |
[24:33] | could bring up the ongoing question of climate change. | 这可能会引起关于气候变化问题的热议 |
[24:37] | This is the third | 这是本世纪以来 |
[24:39] | or fourth storm of the century | 第三次还是第四次大型风暴了 |
[24:41] | in the last decade. | 才十年的时间啊 |
[24:43] | So it’s beginning to look less like a freak of nature | 这或许不是大自然偶然的震怒 |
[24:46] | than maybe a pattern of nature. | 而是已经成为一种常态了 |
[24:49] | It’s very difficult to say | 仅仅一次风暴 |
[24:51] | that one storm is irrefutable evidence | 并不能证明 |
[24:56] | of changing weather patterns… | 气候模式发生了改变 |
[24:57] | I understand that, but do you, Madam Secretary, | 我能理解 但是国务卿女士 |
[25:01] | believe that climate change is real? | 您是否相信气候变化是真实存在的 |
[25:07] | It’s not a matter of belief. | 这不是信不信的问题 |
[25:12] | Based on the consensus in the scientific community, | 科学界已经达成共识 |
[25:15] | I am convinced it’s a significant issue | 我认为这一问题 |
[25:18] | that needs to be addressed. | 亟待解决 |
[25:21] | Are you breaking rank with the President | 您这是公开表示您在这个问题上 |
[25:23] | and the party on this? | 与总统及您的政党意见相左吗 |
[25:25] | Well, I-I’ve never | 我从未 |
[25:27] | been an official member of any political party. | 正式加入某一个党派 |
[25:30] | I’m not a partisan politician. | 我不是党派政治家 |
[25:32] | I’m a public servant. | 我是一名公职人员 |
[25:36] | That is an excellent clarification. | 这个说明非常明确 |
[25:39] | Madam Secretary? | 国务卿女士 |
[25:41] | Hey, Jay. | 杰伊 |
[25:42] | You’re starting to look at home in the White House. | 你终于不那么拘谨了 |
[25:44] | You ready for some varsity debate analysis? | 准备好去做辩论分析了吗 |
[25:45] | Yes, ma’am, but first I have to say | 准备好了 国务卿 不过我想说的是 |
[25:47] | I’m pleasantly taken aback | 尽管我有些困惑 但我非常高兴 |
[25:49] | and full of awe and admiration | 并对您充满了敬意和钦佩 |
[25:51] | and that I have your back | 无论这件事最终结果如何 |
[25:53] | no matter how this turns out. | 我都会坚定地支持您 |
[25:53] | Great. | 很好 |
[25:55] | What are we talking about? | 你在说什么呢 |
[25:56] | Your performance on the show just now. | 关于您刚刚在电视节目上说的话 |
[25:59] | Oh, the VP thing? | 副总统那事吗 |
[26:00] | I felt I skirted that. | 我以为我成功回避了 |
[26:01] | No, no, climate change. | 不不 是关于气候变化 |
[26:03] | Oh, come on, that was just chatter. | 那个啊 那就是瞎聊 |
[26:05] | Bono was on afterwards to discuss his endorsement. | 博诺后来还上去谈他的背书了 |
[26:07] | People were just… | 大家不过是… |
[26:08] | Are you completely insane?! | 你疯了吗 |
[26:11] | Well, the test results aren’t back yet, but… | 预测结果还没出来 不过… |
[26:14] | You think this is funny? | 你觉得这很好笑吗 |
[26:15] | You have created a firestorm inside the party. | 你在党内引起轩然大波了 |
[26:18] | Social media’s blowing up. | 社交媒体上都炸锅了 |
[26:20] | It’s gonna lead every news… | 到处的头版头条… |
[26:21] | It was a personal question. | 这是个私人问题 |
[26:23] | And I’m not gonna lie on national television. | 我不可能在全国电视上撒谎 |
[26:26] | The President understands the difference | 总统能理解 |
[26:27] | between personal honesty and party politics. | 个人诚信与党派政治之间的区别 |
[26:30] | The President understands there’s an election to win. | 总统现在关注的是赢下选举 |
[26:33] | And if you care at all about him, | 如果你对他有一丁点的关心 |
[26:35] | or advancing your own agenda, | 或是想想你自己的前程 |
[26:37] | you’ll keep your mouth shut about climate change | 竞选结束之前你最好绝口不提 |
[26:40] | till the end of time. | 气候变化 |
[26:42] | Which may come sooner than you think. | 可能结束得比你想的早 |
[26:45] | You’d better hope it does. Where are you going? | 最好是这样 你去哪 |
[26:46] | I’ve changed my mind. | 我改主意了 |
[26:47] | I’m gonna watch the debate at home. | 我打算回家去看辩论 |
[26:52] | He’s in V-fib. | 心室纤颤 |
[26:53] | Start compressions. | 开始按压 |
[26:54] | Epinephrine, one milligram. | 一毫克肾上腺素 |
[26:55] | Get me the AED. | 心外去颤器 |
[26:58] | – Clear. – Clear. | -离手 -离手 |
[27:00] | Recharge? | 充电 |
[27:01] | Stand back. | 退后 |
[27:02] | Clear! | 离手 |
[27:03] | You’re ready, Mr. President. | 一切就绪 总统先生 |
[27:09] | Hello. | 喂 |
[27:10] | We just got word. | 我们刚收到消息 |
[27:12] | Ensign Kelley didn’t make it. | 凯利少尉没能撑住 |
[27:15] | News is gonna break shortly. | 消息很快就会出来 |
[27:16] | It could come up in the debate. | 他们可能会在辩论中提及 |
[27:18] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[27:20] | I’d like you to connect me to the family. | 请帮我接通凯利一家 |
[27:23] | Right now, sir? | 现在吗 总统先生 |
[27:24] | Yes, now. | 是的 现在 |
[27:26] | I’d like a moment, please. | 我想一个人待一会儿 |
[27:27] | It’s fine. | 别担心 |
[27:29] | I’ll see you out there. | 我会出去找你的 |
[27:33] | Mr. And Mrs. Kelley? | 凯利先生 凯利太太 |
[27:36] | I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss | 我对你们痛失爱子深感惋惜 |
[27:39] | and to thank you for the enormous sacrifice | 并为肖恩和他的战友 |
[27:41] | that Sean made for his country and his fellow crewmen. | 为国家做出的巨大牺牲而感谢你们 |
[27:45] | I understand he held onto that cable | 我知道他一直抓着电缆 |
[27:47] | until every sailor had made it to safety. | 直到所有水手都撤离到安全的地方 |
[27:51] | All of those men and their families are in his debt. | 他们及其家人都欠他一份情 |
[27:55] | God be with you. | 上帝保佑你们 |
[27:59] | Every moment of this presidency | 他在任的每一刻 |
[28:02] | has been a failure born of incompetency and cowardice. | 都彰显着不称职和懦弱 |
[28:06] | A dirty bomb attack on American soil. | 美国本土的脏弹袭击 |
[28:09] | A gutless, lenient peace deal with Iran. | 怯懦而软弱的伊朗和谈 |
[28:11] | Appeasement of Russia with the shameful trade | 纵容俄罗斯 与其进行可耻的交易 |
[28:14] | of the notorious spy Peter Buckley. | 交还了臭名昭著的间谍皮特·巴克利 |
[28:16] | It reveals a president catastrophically soft on defense | 这说明上届总统在国防上存在致命的软弱 |
[28:20] | and unsupportive of the American military. | 并对美国军队缺乏支持 |
[28:26] | Now… | 而现在 |
[28:29] | now we hear a base in Bahrain | 巴林岛的一处基地 |
[28:31] | has been destroyed by cyclone winds, and just moments ago, | 又被飓风摧毁了 |
[28:34] | we learned that Ensign Sean Kelley, | 海军少尉肖恩·凯利 |
[28:36] | after remaining in a coma for several days, has died. | 昏迷了几天 在几分钟之前刚刚去世了 |
[28:39] | Ladies and gentlemen, even in peacetime, | 女士们先生们 即使在和平时期 |
[28:41] | Dalton cannot seem to protect | 道尔顿也无法保护 |
[28:44] | our men and women in uniform. | 我们的军人 |
[28:48] | President Dalton, your response? | 道尔顿总统 您有什么回应吗 |
[28:56] | Ensign Sean Kelley’s death | 肖恩·凯利少尉的死 |
[28:59] | was not caused by so-called “Soft support of the military,” | 并非是由军事上的软弱导致的 |
[29:03] | but because of a willful denial of reality | 而是由于华盛顿的 |
[29:07] | by many in Washington | 众多党内人士对现实的 |
[29:09] | and in my own party, | 蓄意否认造成的 |
[29:10] | including Governor Evans. | 包括埃文斯州长 |
[29:13] | And that reality is climate change. | 而这个现实就是气候变化 |
[29:16] | The extreme weather patterns | 极端天气导致了全世界范围内 |
[29:17] | and rising sea levels around the world. | 海平面的升高 |
[29:19] | Because we remain in denial about that, | 因为我们不愿正视现实 |
[29:22] | our naval bases around the globe remain unsafe, | 我们全球的海军基地都处在危险中 |
[29:25] | and our military men and women | 我们驻扎基地的军人 |
[29:26] | who occupy them remain at unnecessary risk. | 都承担着不必要的风险 |
[29:30] | This scientifically proven reality | 这一被科学证实了的现实 |
[29:34] | will continue to be a grave threat | 对世界各地的军队和民众 |
[29:37] | to both military and civilian populations everywhere | 都是持久的威胁 |
[29:39] | until we take serious and specific action to address it. | 只有严肃而有针对性的措施才能解决 |
[29:43] | And why don’t we? | 但为什么不呢 |
[29:44] | Because this reality doesn’t serve us. | 因为这一现实不符合我们的利益 |
[29:47] | It doesn’t serve the false construct of foreign policy. | 这与本就错误的外交政策的不一致 |
[29:50] | It keeps us beholden to nations who have resources | 这是我们受制于拥有 |
[29:52] | we think we need. | 我们所需资源的国家 |
[29:54] | Instead of committing ourselves to nations | 而无法对那些与我们有着 |
[29:56] | who espouse and live and breathe the values we share. | 相同价值观的国家做出承诺 |
[30:00] | The values of freedom and democracy | 这些价值观包括自由 |
[30:03] | and basic human rights. | 民主和基本人权 |
[30:04] | Economic and political gamesmanship | 而经济和政治上的猫腻令我们并不优于 |
[30:07] | makes us no better than the imperial countries we censure. | 那些我们谴责的帝国主义国家 |
[30:10] | We need to lead by example. | 我们需要以身作则 |
[30:13] | If elected to a second term, | 如果我得以连任 |
[30:14] | I vow to prepare the United States for a changing world. | 我势必令美国在变化的世界中立于不败之地 |
[30:18] | Changing rapidly due to a warming climate | 从容应对变暖的气候 |
[30:21] | and shifting global allegiances. | 和变幻莫测的国际关系 |
[30:23] | I will do this against all opposition, | 我会顶住一切反对的压力 |
[30:25] | including inside my own party. | 包括我所在的党派内部的压力 |
[30:27] | Because as President Lyndon Johnson said | 因为正如1964年林登·约翰逊总统签署 |
[30:29] | when he signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964, | 公民权利法案 牺牲自己 |
[30:32] | risking his party’s political future to do the right thing, | 在党内的政治前途 去做对的事时所说的 |
[30:37] | “What the hell’s the presidency for?” | “不然总统有什么用” |
[30:45] | Looks like he forgives you. | 看来他原谅你了 |
[30:49] | What the hell has he done? | 他究竟干了什么 |
[30:58] | I think this is premature. Let us sit down with you. | 我觉得这很不成熟 我们坐下好好谈谈吧 |
[31:01] | I’m-I’m with the president now. | 我现在和总统在一起 |
[31:03] | We could be there in half an hour. | 我们半个小时后就能到 |
[31:07] | I think you’re making a serious mistake. | 我觉得你正在犯一个大错 |
[31:09] | And I think you need to… | 我想你需要… |
[31:12] | Well, that didn’t take long. | 真没花多长时间啊 |
[31:15] | Julius Burton is officially throwing | 朱利尔斯·波顿正式将 |
[31:16] | all his financial support to Sam Evans. | 他的全部财政支持投向山姆·埃文斯 |
[31:19] | I’m tired of worrying about what men | 我真不想再管波顿这样的人 |
[31:20] | like Burton do with their money. | 怎么花自己的钱了 |
[31:21] | I’m not going to renew | 我不会续签 |
[31:23] | the Defense Cooperation Agreement with Bahrain. | 与巴林岛的防御合作协议了 |
[31:25] | Instead, we’re going to move toward | 而是要在突尼斯 |
[31:26] | building a new base in Tunisia. | 新建一个基地 |
[31:28] | We’re going to bring our military and economic support | 我们要将军队和经济支援 |
[31:29] | to a country that has earned it. | 投向积极争取的国家 |
[31:31] | What about the next administration? | 那下一任内阁怎么办 |
[31:32] | What happens when all this | 如果所有这些行政措施在一月份 |
[31:33] | executive action is rolled back in January? | 就失效了怎么办 |
[31:37] | Already writing a presidential obituary? | 你已经在写总统讣告了吗 |
[31:40] | No, sir. | 不 总统先生 |
[31:43] | You did that yourself. | 是你自己写的 |
[31:48] | So it’s official, President Conrad Dalton | 康拉德·道尔顿总统只有一届任期 |
[31:51] | 选举报道 投票后民调结果 康拉德·道尔顿 39% 山姆·埃文斯 42% | |
[31:51] | will be a one-term president. | 是板上钉钉的事了 |
[31:53] | 华盛顿特区 格雷斯莫尔酒店 | |
[31:53] | Governor Sam Evans just won the primary | 山姆·埃文斯州长刚刚赢得了初选 |
[31:56] | and will head to the general election. | 现在向大选进军 |
[31:58] | So, is this the first time that an incumbent president | 所以 这是第一位连党内提名 |
[32:01] | has failed to get his party’s nomination? | 都争取不到的在任总统吗 |
[32:02] | Actually, no, in 1856, | 其实不是 在1856年 |
[32:05] | Franklin Pierce failed to secure | 富兰克林·皮尔斯 |
[32:06] | his party’s support, but it is only the second time, | 也没获得党内支持 但这仅是第二次 |
[32:09] | which makes it pretty historic. | 还是挺有历史纪念意义的 |
[32:12] | We’ll be right back with more election coverage. | 我们马上回来 为您带来更多选举报道 |
[32:14] | Sorry, Mr. President. | 不好意思 总统先生 |
[32:16] | Uh, there are some things that we have to address. | 我们要跟您说些事 |
[32:20] | You, uh, you need to | 您 您得 |
[32:24] | concede the nomination to Evans | 承认埃文斯的提名 |
[32:27] | and assure him that you’ll toe the party line, | 并保证您会紧跟党的路线 |
[32:29] | endorse his candidacy, and help him out | 为他的候选资格背书 |
[32:32] | on the campaign trail | 并在竞选游说中 |
[32:35] | as much as you can, though… | 尽您所能地帮助他 虽然… |
[32:36] | Though right now | 虽然现在 |
[32:37] | I’m such a liability that my services | 我的处境导致我的帮助 |
[32:40] | might not be very much in demand. | 可能也没有什么用处 |
[32:42] | You could look at that as an upside. | 您可以把这看做一个优势 |
[32:45] | Yes, I think I will. | 是啊 我想我会的 |
[32:48] | – Mr. President, I’m so sorry. – No, Bess. | -总统先生 我很遗憾 -不用 贝丝 |
[32:50] | We’re not going to assign any blame here. | 我们不要怪罪任何人 |
[32:53] | We all made our choices, | 这是我们自己的选择 |
[32:54] | we did our best. | 我们尽力了 |
[32:57] | Although I do wish I’d been able | 虽然我希望我能 |
[32:58] | to announce your candidacy for vice president. | 宣布你为副总统候选人 |
[33:01] | I appreciate your faith in me. | 我很感激您对我的信任 |
[33:03] | Sir, you still have seven months in office | 总统先生 我们还有几个月的任期 |
[33:05] | and there’s work to be done. | 还有工作要做 |
[33:07] | I suggest we all just… | 我建议集中精神 |
[33:11] | focus on that. | 做好眼下的工作 |
[33:12] | That’s right. | 你说得对 |
[33:14] | A great team. | 我们是一支很棒的团队 |
[33:16] | I’ve been privileged to have you. | 有你们我非常荣幸 |
[33:32] | I’m sorry. It’s just wrong. | 很抱歉 不应该这样的 |
[33:37] | Well, the good news is… | 好消息是 |
[33:40] | that you can go back to your intelligence work. | 你可以回到情报机构工作 |
[33:43] | Maybe I’ll go visit Stevie in Oxford this summer. | 也许这个夏天我会去剑桥看斯蒂芬 |
[33:46] | Go back to teaching. | 继续教书 |
[33:48] | We don’t have to figure this all out tonight. | 我们不用今晚就做决定 |
[33:52] | I really wanted a shot at that vice presidency, | 我真的很想当一当副总统 |
[33:55] | I’ll admit it. | 我承认 |
[33:57] | But mainly I just wanted Conrad | 但我主要还是希望康拉德 |
[33:59] | to have another term. He deserved it. | 再当选一届总统 这是他应得的 |
[34:02] | You both did. | 这是你们两个都应得的 |
[34:13] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[34:15] | You guys want a cup of water? | 你们要不要喝杯水 |
[34:19] | Madam Secretary. | 国务卿女士 |
[34:20] | Chief Justice, hi. | 最高法院大法官 您好 |
[34:22] | Tough loss. | 最后还是输了 |
[34:24] | I’m sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
[34:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[34:27] | And you would have made a great vice president, too. | 而且你本来会是个很棒的副总统的 |
[34:30] | I would have voted for that ticket. | 我会为你们投票的 |
[34:31] | And it’s not even my party. | 我们甚至不是一个党派的 |
[34:33] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢您 先生 |
[34:35] | Don… Don’t tell anyone. | 别告诉别人 |
[34:43] | According to the new Defense Cooperation Agreement, | 根据新的防御合作协议 |
[34:45] | the construction on the naval base | 海军基地的建设 |
[34:47] | will employ Tunisian contractors and workers, | 将会雇佣突尼斯的承包商和工人 |
[34:50] | which will bring a boost to your economy. | 这会大大促进你们的经济发展 |
[34:53] | We look forward | 我们很期待 |
[34:55] | to establishing a strong partnership with your country. | 与贵国建立强有力的伙伴关系 |
[34:57] | As do we, I assure you. | 我保证 我们也是一样 |
[34:59] | And I do appreciate, Mr. President, Madam Secretary, | 而且我十分感激 总统先生 国务卿女士 |
[35:02] | the sacrifices you made on our behalf. | 感激你们为我们所做出的牺牲 |
[35:05] | It may be a dark moment now, but you have | 现在虽然是个黑暗的时刻 但是你们 |
[35:07] | moved your country toward greatness. | 正带领自己的国家向伟大走去 |
[35:09] | People don’t always thank you for that, | 人们不总是会为此心怀感激 |
[35:11] | but your legacy will reflect it. | 但是你们对后世的影响会反映出这一点 |
[35:17] | Thank you, Foreign Minister. | 谢谢你 外交部长 |
[35:18] | I’m proud that we could accomplish this together. | 我很骄傲我们能一起完成这事 |
[35:21] | Believe me, I know only too well | 相信我 我十分清楚 |
[35:23] | the perils of leading a country into a new direction. | 带领一个国家走向新方向的风险有多大 |
[35:29] | Have a good trip back. | 一路顺风 |
[35:37] | Well, that’s ironic. | 真讽刺 |
[35:40] | Being given advice on the pitfalls of democracy | 被一个世界上最初生的民主国家领导人 |
[35:42] | by one of the most nascent in the world. | 在民主的缺陷上给了建议 |
[35:45] | Russell and I’ll be working on strategies | 拉塞尔和我会想办法 |
[35:48] | to ensure against the next administration | 不让下届政府 |
[35:50] | being able to undo this negotiation. | 取消这一协议 |
[35:52] | Yes. Fred Reynolds’ plan is to slash defense | 弗雷德·雷诺的计划是想要消减预算 |
[35:56] | back to bows and arrows. | 让国防回到弓箭时代 |
[35:58] | Either way… | 不管怎么样… |
[36:00] | this agreement is at risk. | 这项协议很难保全 |
[36:02] | Sam Evans is on his way over to talk about my endorsement. | 山姆·埃文斯正打算寻求我的背书 |
[36:05] | Turns out that while I’m kryptonite to much of the base, | 看来即便我遭到党内大多数人背弃 |
[36:09] | among moderates and independent swing voters, | 但是在温和派和摇摆不定的选民 |
[36:11] | and, his words “Other coveted demographics”. | 用他的话说是”其他令人垂涎的选民”中 |
[36:14] | I’m still popular. | 我还是很受欢迎的 |
[36:16] | Well, I guess that’s the domestic politics version of | 我想这就是国内政治版的 |
[36:20] | “You’re big in Japan.” | “名声在外”吧 |
[36:22] | Better to be a lame duck than a dead duck, I suppose. | 好死不如赖活着 是吧 |
[36:26] | Thanks, Bess. | 谢了 贝丝 |
[36:41] | Madam Secretary, good to see you. | 国务卿女士 很高兴见到你 |
[36:44] | – Governor Evans. – I just ran into | -埃文斯州长 -我刚刚出去的时候 |
[36:45] | Foreign Minister Mossadek on the way out. | 撞见了莫斯达外交部长 |
[36:47] | I guess he was here to discuss a naval base | 我猜他是来讨论你答应过他的 |
[36:48] | you promised him over… | 那个海军基地的… |
[36:49] | We’ve already secured the agreement. | 我们已经谈妥了 |
[36:50] | Which I will do everything in my power to undo. | 而我会想尽一切办法来取消的 |
[36:54] | I’ll let you go. The president’s waiting. | 我这就走了 总统正在等你 |
[36:56] | Elizabeth. | 伊丽莎白 |
[36:58] | We’re under a lot of pressure | 我们正经受来自一大堆 |
[36:59] | from a number of different organizations | 不同组织和选区的压力 |
[37:01] | and constituencies, and though I’m proud | 虽然我对能够提名 |
[37:02] | of achieving the nomination, I’m sure you’re aware | 感到非常自豪 我确定你应该知道 |
[37:04] | that some damage has been done to party unity. | 党内团结受到了一定的损害 |
[37:07] | Conrad’s endorsement will go a long way to fix that, | 康拉德的背书能够慢慢弥补 |
[37:10] | but administrative continuity from one term to the next | 但是政府换届时的行政延续性 |
[37:13] | will help even more. | 会让事态更严重 |
[37:14] | So I hope that you will consider | 所以我希望你能考虑一下 |
[37:18] | maintaining your role as secretary of state | 继续担任国务卿的职位 |
[37:20] | in my cabinet. | 只不过是在我的内阁里 |
[37:22] | I’m asking Russell Jackson to stay, too. | 我也请拉塞尔·杰克逊留下来了 |
[37:25] | I know you can’t answer now. | 我知道你现在不能回答 |
[37:28] | But think about it and call me back | 但考虑考虑 等你想明白 |
[37:29] | when you come round, okay? | 给我打电话 好吗 |
[37:32] | I-I just realized that I… | 我 我刚刚想起来… |
[37:35] | I left my pen, and I’m… | 我把笔落下了 而且… |
[37:38] | It’s a sentimental thing, my husband gave it to me. | 是感情上的事 我丈夫给我的 |
[37:40] | I’m just gonna run back and get it. | 我要跑回去拿一下 |
[37:41] | You don’t mind,do you? | 你不介意吧 |
[37:46] | Bess? | 贝丝 |
[37:47] | Don’t endorse Evans. | 别给埃文斯背书 |
[37:49] | Run as an independent. | 独立竞选 |
[37:51] | – What? – You just said | -什么 -你刚刚说 |
[37:53] | that you are an asset in the general election | 你在大选中的资本就是 |
[37:55] | with broad popular support. | 有广泛的支持 |
[37:57] | And it must be even broader than we think, | 这肯定比我们想的范围还要广 |
[37:58] | or Evans wouldn’t be hitting it so hard. | 不然埃文斯不会这么狠地打击你 |
[38:00] | What if you have a shot, even without | 万一你有胜算呢 即便没有 |
[38:03] | your party’s support? | 党内支持的情况下 |
[38:05] | The move would be historically unprecedented, | 这会是史无前例的举动 |
[38:08] | but given the coup that they just pulled on you, | 但鉴于他们刚刚对你的背叛 |
[38:10] | one unprecedented event deserves another. | 既然已经开创了先河何不再来一创举 |
[38:13] | Well, it’s either that or leave the country | 如果不这样的话就只能 |
[38:15] | in the hands of Evans, a spineless puppet | 把国家交到埃文斯手中 那个没骨气的 |
[38:18] | for special interests, | 被特殊利益集团操控的傀儡 |
[38:20] | or to Fred Reynolds | 或是交给另一个党派的 |
[38:21] | in the other party– a clueless isolationist. | 弗雷德·雷诺 那个愚蠢的孤立主义者 |
[38:24] | I realize this is a reckless play, | 我知道这很冒险 |
[38:26] | given that no independent has ever won the presidency, | 鉴于没有独立竞选者赢得过总统竞选 |
[38:29] | although Teddy Roosevelt came close, | 虽然泰迪·罗斯福就差一点 |
[38:31] | but that was… | 但这是… |
[38:33] | With the right support | 有着正确的支持 |
[38:35] | and an aggressive enough ground game, | 和足够有竞争力的竞选方针 |
[38:38] | we have a fighting chance, | 我们是有机会一搏的 |
[38:40] | and wouldn’t you rather go out fighting? | 你难道不是更想出去一搏吗 |
[38:44] | If we’re gonna make history, | 如果我们即将创造历史的话 |
[38:46] | let’s make the good kind. | 就创造好的那种吧 |
[39:01] | You’re killing me. You know that, right? | 你真是让我头疼 你知道吧 |
[39:04] | Can I get you a drink? | 你要来一杯吗 |
[39:05] | No, thanks. I pre-drank. | 不用了 我不喝酒 |
[39:10] | So, I-I take it you’ve | 所以 我就当你已经 |
[39:13] | spoken with Conrad. | 和康拉德谈过了吧 |
[39:15] | Oh, what the hell? I’m not driving. | 算了 管他呢 我又不开车 |
[39:22] | Conrad running as an independent | 康拉德独立竞选 |
[39:25] | is an insane idea. | 简直是疯了 |
[39:28] | Primarily because he can’t win. | 首先是因为他赢不了 |
[39:32] | Also… | 其次… |
[39:35] | because it puts me in an impossible position. | 是因为这让我的立场十分尴尬 |
[39:39] | Choosing between this president | 要我在这个总统 |
[39:43] | and the party I have supported since middle school. | 和我从中学就开始支持的政党中做出选择 |
[39:48] | I would counter it’s not the same party | 我要反驳一下 这已经不是那个 |
[39:51] | you’ve supported since middle school. | 你从中学开始就支持的政党了 |
[39:52] | Its nominee represents nothing | 它提名的人不能代表 |
[39:54] | of what you stand for, | 你支持的任何事物 |
[39:56] | and Conrad’s chances of winning are… | 而且康拉德赢的机会… |
[39:59] | narrow but not impossible. | 虽然微乎其微但不是毫无可能 |
[40:01] | What do you think I’ve been doing all night? | 你觉得我这一整晚都在干什么 |
[40:03] | I’ve run the numbers, Elizabeth. | 我在算数 伊丽莎白 |
[40:04] | He loses handily in nine out of ten scenarios. | 他十次有九次都会输 |
[40:07] | So what’s the tenth? | 那剩下的那个一呢 |
[40:09] | Let’s concentrate on that. | 我们就要把注意力放在那个一上 |
[40:12] | The winning scenario… | 赢的那一次 |
[40:16] | depends on one big concession. | 靠的是一个巨大的让步 |
[40:23] | That’s why I’m here. | 这就是我来这里的原因 |
[40:26] | With your popularity | 凭借你在 |
[40:28] | among independents and moderates, | 自由选民和温和派之间的人气 |
[40:30] | you’re likely to carry swing states | 你将有可能说服摇摆州 |
[40:31] | like Florida, Ohio, Virginia. | 比如佛罗里达州 俄亥俄州 弗吉尼亚州 |
[40:34] | The bad news is… | 坏消息是… |
[40:36] | that’s not enough to win the election. | 这也不够赢得选举 |
[40:38] | But you don’t need to win. | 但你不需要赢 |
[40:41] | You just need not to lose. | 你只需要别输就行 |
[40:42] | The goal is to keep any candidate | 目标是阻止任何一个候选人 |
[40:44] | from getting to the requisite 270 electoral votes. | 拿到必需的270张选举 |
[40:47] | If that were to happen, | 如果成功了的话 |
[40:50] | the election gets thrown to the House of Representatives. | 选举就要移交给众议院 |
[40:52] | And there, you would have | 到那时 你就有 |
[40:54] | a very good chance of winning. | 很大的机会赢了 |
[40:56] | The biggest barrier to stopping Evans from getting to 270 | 要阻止埃文斯得到270张选票 |
[41:00] | is his home state of Pennsylvania | 最大的阻碍就是他的家乡宾夕法尼亚州 |
[41:01] | and its 20 electoral votes. | 还有那20张选票 |
[41:03] | And how do we pull that off? | 那我们要怎么把选票拉过来呢 |
[41:05] | Well, sir, there’s really only one way. | 其实只有一个方法 |
[41:08] | You need a popular Pennsylvanian on the ticket. | 你的阵容需要有一个有人气的宾夕法尼亚人 |
[41:11] | Senator Teresa Hurst pulls big numbers there. | 参议员特蕾莎·赫斯特在当地很有话语权 |
[41:14] | She’s fiercely independent, | 她十分独立 |
[41:17] | she’s a shameless supporter of yours. | 她是你狂热的支持者 |
[41:21] | You need to choose her | 你需要选她当 |
[41:22] | to be your vice presidential candidate. | 你的副总统候选人 |
[41:23] | No. | 不 |
[41:24] | I chose you | 我选你 |
[41:26] | as a trusted confidant | 是以我信任的知己 |
[41:28] | and the exact right person for the job. | 和这个职位的完美人选来选的 |
[41:30] | Not another ticket-balancing politician. | 再不弄什么分票政策了 |
[41:32] | Teresa Hurst is a rising star. | 特蕾莎·赫斯特很有前途 |
[41:34] | She’s on the practical side of all the issues… | 她所有事情上都是实干派… |
[41:36] | And don’t forget you’re running | 而且别忘了你的竞选政纲是 |
[41:37] | on the “Dismantling the world as we know it” platform. | “破除我们已知的世界” |
[41:40] | I’m sorry– change foreign policy, change the world. | 不好意思 是改变外交政策 改变世界 |
[41:43] | And if we’re gonna go with that, | 如果我们这么做的话 |
[41:46] | you’re gonna need me | 你会需要我 |
[41:47] | as your secretary of state, sir. | 继续做你的国务卿的 总统先生 |
[41:49] | Not your vice president. | 而不是你的副总统 |
[41:50] | Right now, you need to do what you can to win. | 现在 为了赢你就得这么做 |
[41:54] | Now she gets it. | 她说的对 |
[41:59] | Remind me what was so bad | 告诉我一下竞选游说 |
[42:00] | about the campaign circuit? | 有什么不好来着 |
[42:02] | Besides everything? | 什么都不好 |
[42:04] | I am so far behind on these term papers. | 我的学期论文欠了好多 |
[42:06] | I’m gonna be up all night. Maybe I should go downstairs. | 我得熬夜了 也许我应该到楼下去 |
[42:09] | Why? I’m gonna be up all night | 为什么 我也要为了 |
[42:10] | with restructuring American foreign policy. | 重组美国外交政策熬一夜 |
[42:13] | It’ll be fun, be like college. | 感觉很有趣 就像在大学时一样 |
[42:15] | We can order out some bad food. | 我们可以叫点垃圾食品外卖 |
[42:19] | Cheeseburger pizza is on the way. | 芝士汉堡和披萨就要来了 |
[42:22] | You are so handsome. | 你太帅了 |
[42:25] | I’m gonna make sure we have Tums. Tums! | 我得去清清肠胃准备开吃 |
[42:29] | What’s that? | 那是什么 |
[42:38] | Henry… | 亨利… |
[42:40] | where’d these come from? | 这些是从哪来的 |
[42:42] | I have no idea. | 我也不知道 |
[42:48] | Someone is stalking our kids. | 有人在跟踪我们的孩子 |