时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | We were at Minister Javani’s house when it happened. | 事发时 我们就在贾瓦尼部长的家中 |
[00:04] | Several members of my security detail | 我警卫队的几名队员 |
[00:07] | were wounded or killed. | 有伤亡情况 |
[00:08] | Minister Javani’s son witnessed his father’s death. | 贾瓦尼部长的儿子目睹了父亲的身亡 |
[00:12] | As a mother, I would’ve given anything | 作为一位母亲 我会不顾一切 |
[00:14] | to protect that child, | 保护那个孩子 |
[00:17] | which is why I am determined as ever | 因此 我一如既往坚定地 |
[00:19] | to see through | 要完成这份 |
[00:20] | the nuclear agreement that his father gave his life for, | 他父亲用生命换来的核协议 |
[00:23] | because I think | 因为我认为 |
[00:24] | that’s our greatest responsibility in this life, | 为我们的后代创造一个更安全和平的世界 |
[00:26] | to leave a safer and more peaceful world… | 是我们今生肩负的使命 |
[00:29] | How was your night? | 昨晚睡得怎么样 |
[00:31] | Pillow between the knees is officially not working anymore. | 膝枕完全没用了 |
[00:35] | Really cramming to the last minute on this one. | 这次的任务你可真是奋斗到最后一秒 |
[00:38] | Yeah, I thought I had my plan of attack. | 我本来已经制定好策略了 |
[00:42] | Then Mark starts giving me these guidelines last night. | 结果马克昨晚给了我一堆提纲 |
[00:45] | Don’t ask too much | 不准问太多 |
[00:45] | about that illegal arms dealer she worked with. | 关于她与非法军火商的事 |
[00:48] | Don’t go too hard on the Taliban deal. | 与塔利班交易的事别逼得太紧 |
[00:50] | So? | 那又怎样 |
[00:51] | They can’t dictate what you’re allowed to ask. | 他们不可能一字一句规定死你能问什么 |
[00:55] | No, but the Secretary can refuse to answer, | 的确不能 但国务卿可以拒绝回答 |
[00:57] | which means my whole | 这就意味着对国务院的 |
[01:00] | warts-and-all inside look at the State Department | 深度纪实报道现在成了 |
[01:02] | is now an airbrushed campaign poster | 精修美化的 |
[01:03] | for a White House run. | 白宫竞选广告 |
[01:08] | Is this about your book deal? | 这是不是跟你出书的事有关 |
[01:13] | Can’t sell a book proposal, | 书稿卖不出去 |
[01:16] | giving up on war coverage… | 又放弃了战地报道 |
[01:20] | you know, maybe that’s why they put me on this. | 这可能就是他们派我来干这个的原因 |
[01:22] | Figure I’ll play ball. | 觉得我会配合 |
[01:25] | Then that just means they won’t see you coming. | 这说明他们会对你放松警惕 |
[01:36] | Once more unto the breach. | 再次整装上阵 |
[01:41] | Give ’em hell. | 让他们好看 |
[01:54] | Hey. Uh, Neal Shin. | 你好 尼尔·申 |
[02:00] | I’m sorry. I don’t have you in the system. | 抱歉 系统中没有您的信息 |
[02:02] | Uh, it’s Neal with an “A.” | “尼尔”的中间是个A |
[02:04] | I was told there’d be a press pass. | 我听说给我办了记者通行证 |
[02:06] | Who’s your contact? | 您的联系人是哪位 |
[02:10] | Hey, you know what, she can vouch for me. | 等等 那位可以帮我担保 |
[02:11] | Jessie. Neal. | 杰西 我是尼尔 |
[02:13] | – Yeah, we’ll talk later, okay? – Oh, okay. | -我们稍后再谈 -好 |
[02:14] | Jessie. | 杰西 |
[02:15] | Uh, another thing… | 还有一件事 |
[02:16] | Hey, guys. | 各位 |
[02:20] | Neal Shin? | 你是尼尔·申吗 |
[02:21] | Daisy Grant. | 戴西·格兰特 |
[02:22] | Oh, hey. Uh, they don’t have my pass. | 你好 他们说我没有通行证 |
[02:24] | He’s with us today. | 他今天跟着我们 |
[02:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:31] | Glad you showed up. | 还好你来了 |
[02:32] | I was about to ask her to Google me. | 我差点让她去谷歌上搜我 |
[02:34] | You know why those other reporters let you hang? | 你知道为什么这些记者都不理你吗 |
[02:36] | Because they’ve been following Secretary McCord | 因为他们已经盯着麦考德国务卿 |
[02:38] | for almost four years, | 将近四年了 |
[02:40] | sleeping on embassy floors in Togo, | 在多哥睡大使馆地板 |
[02:42] | sweating in the back of a stuffy plane, | 在闷热的飞机上挤得汗流浃背 |
[02:43] | waiting for three words | 就等着 |
[02:44] | from one of the world’s busiest women | 这位世界上最忙碌的女性之一说上几句话 |
[02:46] | and you come waltzing in | 而你轻轻松松就得到了 |
[02:47] | with your 48 hours of nonstop access | 48小时不间断跟踪报道的机会 |
[02:48] | you didn’t even ask for. | 这甚至还不是你自己申请的 |
[02:50] | My editor assigned me. | 是主编派我来的 |
[02:51] | Why, I can’t imagine. | 为什么派你来 我想不通 |
[02:52] | – You definitely weren’t my pick. – ?Really? | -换作是我肯定不会选你 -真的吗 |
[02:54] | I wanted the guy who does the Kennedy pieces | 我会选《名利场》那位 |
[02:56] | in Vanity Fair. | 报道肯尼迪的记者 |
[02:58] | Elegant. Literary. | 举止优雅 文笔不凡 |
[02:59] | Look, I’m not coming in with any kind of agenda, okay? | 我并没有什么险恶的计划 |
[03:01] | I just report what I see. | 我只是如实报道我所见到的 |
[03:03] | All SCIFs and SVTC rooms | 所有的敏感情报隔离和安全视频会议区域 |
[03:04] | are completely off-limits. | 都不能碰 |
[03:06] | Neal. | 尼尔 |
[03:07] | Welcome to the State Department. | 欢迎来到国务院 |
[03:08] | Secretary McCord. | 您好 麦考德国务卿 |
[03:09] | I see you’ve met Daisy. | 你已经见过戴西了 |
[03:10] | Just giving him the rundown, ma’am. | 我大致跟他介绍了一下情况 国务卿 |
[03:11] | All right, well, we’re glad to have you here and… | 很好 欢迎你到这来 |
[03:13] | I need your phone. | 请交出手机 |
[03:19] | She’s just doing her job. | 这是工作要求 |
[03:21] | You can ask me anything | 你想问什么可以随便问 |
[03:22] | and if the answer is classified, Daisy will tackle you. | 如果涉及保密事项 黛西会解决你 |
[03:26] | I’m kidding. She just had a baby. | 开玩笑的 她刚生完小孩 |
[03:28] | Hey, I’m, uh, about to be a father myself– twins. | 我也快当父亲了 是一对双胞胎 |
[03:30] | Oh. I’ll get your press pass. | 我一会帮你去领通行证 |
[03:32] | – Thanks. – Congratulations. | -谢谢 -恭喜 |
[03:34] | – Thank you. Uh, well, let’s get in there. | -谢谢 -这边请 |
[03:37] | Guess I did a cannonball in her press pool. | 估计我在她的记者团中引起公愤了 |
[03:39] | Well, the press part… | 记者这方面嘛 |
[03:42] | Oh, sorry. This way. | 抱歉 是这边 |
[03:43] | Press pool are great reporters, | 记者团的记者都很优秀 |
[03:45] | but they want to keep their jobs. | 但他们都想着保住工作 |
[03:48] | I’m glad that we went with someone independent. | 我很高兴能有一位独立的人员参与 |
[03:50] | It’s good to pull back the curtain | 向公众展示一下我们的工作 |
[03:52] | on what we do around here. | 还是挺不错的 |
[03:54] | And I really liked your work in Afghanistan. | 我很喜欢你在阿富汗的战地报道 |
[03:58] | – A lot. – Thanks. | -非常喜欢 -多谢 |
[03:59] | Good morning, ma’am. | 早上好 国务卿 |
[04:00] | Your remarks for the, uh, Worldwide Partnership | 这是促进女童与妇女教育 |
[04:03] | for Girls’ and Women’s Education Conference. | 国际合作大会的演讲稿 |
[04:05] | But the student essay contest winners, that’s… | 还有学生征文比赛颁奖致辞 |
[04:07] | tomorrow, you’re gonna be… | 明天你得 |
[04:07] | “What America Means to Me” | “美国对我意味着什么” |
[04:08] | I’m working on it. | 我正在写 |
[04:09] | Hey. Matt Mahoney. | 你好 马特·马奥尼 |
[04:10] | I’m sorry. Matt Mahoney. Neal Shin. | 抱歉 马特·马奥尼 这位是尼尔·申 |
[04:13] | Head speech writer. Nice to meet you. | 首席撰稿人 很高兴认识你 |
[04:14] | You do good work. | 你的作品不错 |
[04:15] | Oh, thank you. | 多谢 |
[04:15] | I liked your book on Syria. | 我喜欢你关于叙利亚的那本书 |
[04:17] | Though “like” is probably not the correct word. | 不过”喜欢”这词可能不太准确 |
[04:20] | Well, we try to be more optimistic | 处在这样工作环境中 |
[04:22] | about the outcomes around here. | 我们得努力保持乐观 |
[04:24] | So, you don’t find your faith in humanity sometimes shaken | 你们不觉得在这里工作有时候 |
[04:26] | by the work you do here? | 会动摇你们对于人性的信任吗 |
[04:29] | You like to come out swinging, don’t you, Neal? | 你喜欢开门见山对吗 尼尔 |
[04:31] | Come on in. | 进来吧 |
[04:32] | I mean, it’s not even noon yet. | 还没到中午呢 |
[04:33] | Everyone, please introduce yourself to Neal Shin | 这位是《华盛顿纪事报》的尼尔·申 |
[04:36] | from The Washington Chronicle. | 大家都互相认识一下 |
[04:38] | Can take a seat right here. | 就坐这吧 |
[04:39] | He’s gonna be shadowing us the | 在接下来几天中 |
[04:40] | next couple of days. | 他将对我们进行跟踪报道 |
[04:40] | Kat Sandoval, policy advisor. | 凯特·桑多瓦尔 政策顾问 |
[04:41] | – Nice to meet you. – Nice to meet you. | -幸会 -幸会 |
[04:42] | Hey, Neal. Jay Whitman. | 你好 尼尔 杰伊·惠特曼 |
[04:43] | I liked your coverage on Afghanistan. | 我喜欢你关于阿富汗的报道 |
[04:45] | Thanks. Uh, I saw you did some time there. | 多谢 我看到您也去过阿富汗 |
[04:47] | Yeah. Looks like we both made it out. | 是啊 看来咱俩都挺过来了 |
[04:50] | ?Welcome. | 欢迎 |
[04:52] | As mentioned in the memo, | 备忘录里已经提到了 |
[04:53] | Mr. Shin has full access | 申先生将为国务卿撰写杂志封面故事 |
[04:54] | for a cover profile on the Secretary, | 在此期间具有完全访问权限 |
[04:56] | but please be mindful of classified information | 但是对涉密信息和活动 |
[04:58] | and activities. | 请谨慎对待 |
[04:59] | If you aren’t sure about anything, | 如果有不确定的 |
[05:01] | check with me, please. | 请与我确认 |
[05:02] | Thanks, everyone. Just, you know, | 谢谢大家 大家就当 |
[05:04] | – pretend like I’m not here. – Yeah, right. | -我不存在好了 -没错 |
[05:06] | I’m Blake Moran, assistant to the Secretary | 我是布莱克·莫兰 国务卿助理 |
[05:08] | and the best snacks are one flight down. | 这里最好吃的零食在我们下面那楼 |
[05:11] | I hope that’s not classified. | 希望这不算泄密 |
[05:12] | Here we go. The Worldwide Partnership | 开始吧 促进女童与妇女教育 |
[05:14] | for Girls’ and Women’s Education Conference | 国际合作大会 |
[05:15] | begins at 11:00 a.m. today | 今天上午11点开幕 |
[05:17] | with the Secretary’s remarks scheduled for 11:30. | 国务卿的致辞安排在11:30 |
[05:19] | I’m told that the food will be excellent this year, | 我听说今年的餐点特别棒 |
[05:21] | so you will want to arrive early for the passed apps. | 如果想享用小点心得早点到 |
[05:24] | I’ve arranged for a platter for you in the green room. | 我在休息室为大家安排了点心盘 |
[05:25] | I’m sure that’s not necessary. | 没这必要吧 |
[05:27] | You have all the appetizers you want. | 包含了所有的点心种类 |
[05:28] | Don’t need a platter. | 真的用不着点心盘 |
[05:28] | On a more urgent note, | 还有一个更紧急的状况 |
[05:29] | there’s a developing situation | 德州城市拉雷多南面的 |
[05:30] | on the U.S.-Mexico border | 美墨边境 |
[05:32] | just south of Laredo, Texas. | 情况恶化 |
[05:34] | A recent flood of refugees from Honduras | 近期洪都拉斯有大批难民涌入墨西哥 |
[05:36] | has overwhelmed Mexican detention facilities | 使墨西哥的临时安置中心面临瘫痪 |
[05:39] | and there’s a disturbing number | 还出现了大量 |
[05:40] | of unaccompanied minors showing up, | 无人陪伴的未成年人 |
[05:42] | some kids as young as ten. | 有些孩子才十岁 |
[05:44] | We’re barely three weeks into Fonseca’s first term | 丰塞卡就职未满三周 |
[05:46] | and already Honduras is in shambles. | 洪都拉斯已经陷入混乱 |
[05:49] | Well, after campaigning on law and order, | 在大规模宣传法律和秩序之后 |
[05:53] | FT-88 is pretty much running the National Police. | FT-88基本已经控制了国家警局 |
[05:56] | So now desperate families, of course, | 父母都很绝望 |
[05:57] | are sending their kids up north alone | 为了防止孩子被招募 |
[05:59] | to keep them from being recruited. | 都在把他们单独送往北方的邻国 |
[06:00] | President Zaragoza of Mexico | 墨西哥总统萨拉戈萨 |
[06:03] | is requesting an increase in aid | 请求增加援助 |
[06:04] | to help with the added burden on their detention facilities. | 缓解他们的临时安置中心的过重负担 |
[06:07] | I’ve read reports on those facilities. | 我看到过关于这些临时安置中心的报道 |
[06:09] | They’re horrendous when they’re not overcrowded. | 没有人满为患的情况下就已经够糟糕了 |
[06:11] | He’s also requesting U.S. asylum | 他还请求美国对这些洪都拉斯未成年人 |
[06:13] | for the Honduran minors. | 提供庇护 |
[06:15] | Why? | 为什么 |
[06:16] | Those aren’t the terms of our deal and he knows it. | 这不包含在我们的协议中 他应该清楚 |
[06:18] | Somebody’s putting pressure on him. | 有人对他施压 |
[06:19] | Honduras maybe? | 是洪都拉斯吗 |
[06:20] | I think the pressure’s coming from the kids. | 我认为是孩子们 |
[06:22] | This was posted yesterday | 这是昨天上传的 |
[06:23] | from the detention center in Nuevo Laredo. | 新拉雷多临时安置中心的视频 |
[06:32] | They’re saying they’re staging their funerals to the world | 他们说 在墨西哥把他们遣送回国 |
[06:34] | before Mexico sends them back | 任FT-88残杀之前 |
[06:36] | to be killed by FT-88. | 要向全世界播放他们的葬礼 |
[06:44] | God. | 天哪 |
[06:45] | Brilliant use of social media. | 很巧妙地运用了社交媒体 |
[06:47] | It’s gotten over a million hits. | 点击量已经过百万 |
[06:50] | Let’s call President Zaragoza. | 联系萨拉戈萨总统 |
[06:52] | Neal, you care to join? | 尼尔 要一起来吗 |
[06:54] | Off the record. | 这个不能报道 |
[06:56] | FT-88 has complete control of Honduras. | FT-88已经完全控制了洪都拉斯 |
[06:59] | The country’s falling apart. | 这个国家正在四分五裂 |
[07:01] | And that is a crisis we will address. | 我们会协助处理这一危机 |
[07:04] | Yes, with conferences and sanctions | 是啊 开开会 制裁制裁 |
[07:07] | and what is your word, inducements. | 还有你们所谓的机制 |
[07:11] | But until the country stabilizes, | 在该国情势稳定之前 |
[07:13] | you must find a place for these kids. | 你们必须找个地方安置这些孩子 |
[07:15] | We can’t take them all. | 我们不可能全部接收 |
[07:17] | You know the terms of our agreement, Mario. | 你知道我们协议的条款 马里奥 |
[07:19] | We can’t change our immigration policy. | 我们不能篡改移民政策 |
[07:22] | Things have changed | 从制定我们条款之时到现在 |
[07:23] | since we set those terms. | 事情发生了变化 |
[07:25] | Elizabeth, this is a crisis. | 伊丽莎白 这是一场危机 |
[07:30] | I am begging you. | 我在乞求你 |
[07:32] | According to the agreement, you have 72 hours | 根据协议 72小时后 |
[07:36] | before the migrants have to be returned to Honduras. | 那些移民就得被遣返回洪都拉斯 |
[07:39] | Now, I am not making any promises, | 我不是在做任何承诺 |
[07:41] | but I’ll talk to our embassy I… | 但是我会跟我们的大使馆说说 |
[07:43] | about getting them humanitarian parole through USCIS. | 通过美国移民局来给他们做人道主义假释 |
[07:47] | I thank you, Madam Secretary. | 谢谢你 国务卿女士 |
[07:50] | Ma’am, I am sorry, | 国务卿 抱歉 |
[07:51] | but Congress is on the floor right now | 但是国会现在正在 |
[07:52] | debating Dalton’s Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill. | 争论道尔顿的全面改革政策的账单 |
[07:55] | Is this the time to try to bring in | 这是个从中美洲弄来一群 |
[07:56] | a group of kids fleeing gang violence in Central America? | 逃避帮派暴力的小孩的好时机吗 |
[07:59] | I think I made it clear | 我想我已经说清楚了 |
[08:00] | that it was a long shot. | 这是条长线 |
[08:01] | No, I’m not just concerned about the kids. | 不 我不只是担心那些孩子 |
[08:02] | If Congressional hardliners get wind | 如果让国会那些强硬派收到 |
[08:04] | of this humanitarian parole, it’ll be just the excuse | 这个人道主义假释的风声 这会成为 |
[08:06] | they’ve been looking for to pull the plug. | 他们一直寻找的能用来开刀的借口 |
[08:07] | All it takes is one bad press story. | 一切就只需要一条负面新闻 |
[08:09] | I am really starting to wonder about you being here. | 我真的开始奇怪你为什么在这 |
[08:11] | No, we said that it was off the record. | 不 我们说了这些不公开 |
[08:12] | – Well, he’s taking notes. – I’m sorry. | -可他在做笔记 -抱歉 |
[08:13] | It’s time for the Education Conference. | 该去教育大会了 |
[08:14] | It’s just notes for myself. | 只是我自己的笔记 |
[08:17] | Look, the Senate is voting | 听着 参议院两天后就会 |
[08:19] | on the CIR in two days. | 就全面改革移民政策投票 |
[08:22] | Just have to keep it quiet until then. | 只要在那之前压住风声就好 |
[08:24] | Sure, we just need to | 好的 我们只需要 |
[08:25] | transport the kids to a resettlement support center, | 把孩子们转移到一个重新安置中心 |
[08:27] | process them through USCIS | 通过美国移民局走程序 |
[08:29] | and grant them at least temporary asylum | 至少悄悄地给他们一个 |
[08:31] | without anyone noticing. What could go wrong? | 临时政治庇护 会有什么问题 |
[08:42] | Hey, I wanted to run a book idea by you. | 我想跟你分享一个写书的主题 |
[08:44] | Backseat Driver. | 幕后驱动者 |
[08:45] | A, uh, behind-the-scenes look at how speech writers | 一个幕后视角来看美国历史上的 |
[08:48] | have helped drive policy through U.S. History. | 演讲作者们是如何帮助制定政策的 |
[08:51] | You know your boss is sitting right there? | 你知道你的上司就坐在那吗 |
[08:53] | Well, of course I’d honor your contribution, ma’am. | 当然我会对你的贡献表示敬意 国务卿 |
[08:54] | Aw, that’s sweet. | 你真好 |
[08:56] | So, what do you think? | 你怎么看 |
[08:57] | – Yeah, you could probably sell that. – Nice. | -你或许可以试试 -很好 |
[08:59] | I mean, as long as a publisher thinks it’ll knock | 只要有出版商认为那可以 |
[09:01] | some pregnant celebrity off the top ten trending topics | 撼动一些怀孕名人在社交媒体上 |
[09:03] | on social media. | 热搜前十的位置 |
[09:04] | ‘Cause 280 characters seems to be | 因为280个字符好像是 |
[09:07] | the most Americans read anymore. | 美国人能读的最多的字了 |
[09:09] | But at least you’ll be making your contribution | 不过至少你可以为了未来的 |
[09:11] | to the future museum of American journalism, | 美国记者博物馆做出贡献 |
[09:13] | right up there with the spinning jenny and the phonograph. | 和多轴纺织机还有留声机放在一起 |
[09:15] | He might be more bitter than you are. | 他好像比你还会挖苦 |
[09:17] | Hey, what happened to the lines we had in here | 这里的那些关于海湾国家 |
[09:20] | about the Gulf states holding half their population | 把他们人口的半数都关进文化监狱 |
[09:23] | in a cultural prison? | 的那段话去哪了 |
[09:24] | White House killed that, ma’am. | 是白宫删掉的 国务卿 |
[09:26] | Why? | 为什么 |
[09:26] | Something about not alienating key allies in the Middle East, | 大概是不能离间中东的重要同盟吧 |
[09:29] | – I’m guessing. – Well, put it back in there. | -我猜 -把那段放回去 |
[09:31] | I’ll take the heat from Russell Jackson. | 我会顶住拉塞尔·杰克逊的炮火的 |
[09:33] | Yes, ma’am. ? | 好的 国务卿 |
[09:36] | There are women at this conference | 在这个会上有冒着生命危险 |
[09:38] | who have risked their lives fighting for gender equality. | 来争取性别平等的女性 |
[09:41] | I noticed Amina Salah. | 我注意到有阿米娜·萨拉 |
[09:43] | Did you know Amina | 你是在阿米娜担任阿富汗 |
[09:44] | when she was education minister in Afghanistan? | 教育部长的时候认识她的吗 |
[09:46] | No, but I was aware of her work. | 不是 不过我知道她的事迹 |
[09:49] | That was a real loss when she had to step down. | 她不得不辞职真是个损失 |
[09:51] | Yes, it was. | 确实是 |
[09:52] | Couldn’t be helped, unfortunately. | 不幸的是我们无能为力 |
[09:53] | And that deal with the Taliban | 而和塔利班的协议 |
[09:54] | might’ve actually stabilized Afghanistan | 或许是十年来的第一次 |
[09:56] | for the first time in decades. | 真的能稳定阿富汗局势 |
[09:58] | Well, she could regain her position | 她可以在尘埃落定之后 |
[09:59] | once the dust settles. | 重返她的职位 |
[10:02] | They’re trying to tell you that I have no reason to feel guilty | 他们是在告诉你我没有理由为了 |
[10:05] | about making a deal that took women | 一份把女人调离政府职位的 |
[10:06] | out of government positions. | 协议而感到内疚 |
[10:09] | But I do have reason and I am guilty. | 不过我有理由并且我确实内疚 |
[10:12] | Maybe it’s the Taliban who should feel guilty, ma’am. | 或许应该是塔利班感到内疚 国务卿 |
[10:16] | Good luck with that. | 或许吧 |
[10:18] | So what else do you feel guilty about? | 还有什么让你感到内疚 |
[10:22] | Anything I could’ve done better if I’d thought about it longer. | 任何我多想一想或许就能做得更好的事 |
[10:27] | So the deal with the Taliban. | 和塔利班的协议 |
[10:31] | Should you have thought about it longer? | 你不应该再多想想吗 |
[10:32] | We got intel that the Taliban’s positions have evolved | 我们收到情报说在你我离开阿富汗后 |
[10:36] | since you and I covered Afghanistan. | 塔利班的势力在逐步形成 |
[10:38] | You believe that? | 你相信那鬼话吗 |
[10:39] | The story’s not written on that decision yet. | 关于那个决定的报道还没写出来 |
[10:43] | I may live to regret it. | 我或许会一直活在后悔之中 |
[10:48] | A lot of this work is making impossible choices. | 这份工作很多时候都在做很难的抉择 |
[10:52] | Yes, but… | 确实 不过 |
[10:53] | Gosh, look, we’re already here. | 天哪 快看 我们到了 |
[11:02] | Amina. | 阿米娜 |
[11:03] | It’s good to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[11:06] | Hello, Elizabeth. | 你好 伊丽莎白 |
[11:08] | How are you? | 你怎么样 |
[11:09] | Good, I’m excited to hear your speech. | 不错 我很想听你的演讲 |
[11:11] | Yes, another speaking engagement. | 是啊 又一个演讲斗争 |
[11:15] | If only I felt it would change anything, | 但愿这次演讲可以改变什么 |
[11:17] | but then I guess we have to congratulate ourselves | 不过我觉得应该在我们还可以的时候 |
[11:19] | – when we can. – Excuse me. | -祝贺自己 -失陪了 |
[11:21] | Oh, yeah. | 是吧 |
[11:28] | I’m Neal Shin. I reported in Afghanistan | 我是尼尔·申 我在你任职 |
[11:30] | during your tenure as education minister. | 教育部长的时候在阿富汗做报道 |
[11:31] | Yes, yes, I remember. | 对对 我记起来了 |
[11:33] | I’m sorry you had to step down. | 抱歉听说你不得不辞职 |
[11:37] | I’d like to talk to you about | 我想和你聊聊 |
[11:38] | some of the changes in your country. | 你们国家的一些变化 |
[11:40] | Maybe we could sit down together? | 或许我们可以坐下聊聊 |
[11:42] | Yes. After I speak? | 好 我演讲之后可以吗 |
[11:45] | Uh… Maybe we could meet somewhere later? | 或许我们可以之后找个地方见 |
[11:54] | We left off | 之前说到 |
[11:56] | talking about regrets, so… | 后悔的事 那 |
[11:59] | what are yours? | 你有什么后悔的事 |
[12:04] | You mean in my work? | 你是说在工作中吗 |
[12:05] | No, who you didn’t take to the prom. | 不 是问你没有带谁去毕业舞会 |
[12:07] | Yeah, in your work. | 当然是在工作中 |
[12:11] | I was in Greece when the migrants started pouring in. | 在移民开始涌入的时候我在希腊 |
[12:16] | I gave up trying to report | 我放弃了报道 |
[12:17] | and just started grabbing kids off boats. | 而是开始捞起掉下船的孩子 |
[12:20] | A lot of them died before we could get help. | 很多孩子在救援人员到达之前就死了 |
[12:21] | That’s one of many. | 很多类似这种的后悔 |
[12:23] | Well, it’s not easy confronting human misery. | 目睹人间悲剧是很难受的 |
[12:29] | You try to help, but a lot of times, | 你试着要帮忙 但是多数时候 |
[12:30] | it feels like you’re just… | 就好像你只是 |
[12:34] | grabbing babies off of sinking boats. | 在沉船上抱起婴儿 |
[12:38] | But I have to believe that I’m | 但是我不得不相信 |
[12:40] | preventing worse, | 我是在避免更坏的事发生 |
[12:43] | just like you have to know you did what you could that day, | 就像你只能告诉自己你那天尽力了 |
[12:48] | even though it wasn’t nearly enough. | 尽管那无济于事 |
[12:52] | Sorry to interrupt. | 抱歉打断一下 |
[12:53] | We just got word that Senator Morejon | 我们刚刚得到消息 莫雷洪参议员 |
[12:55] | is withdrawing his support from the immigration bill. | 撤回他对于移民账单的支持 |
[12:58] | Damn it. What happened? | 可恶 怎么回事 |
[12:59] | Someone tipped him to the humanitarian parole request | 有人告诉了他人道主义假释的请求 |
[13:01] | and now he is accusing Dalton of negotiating in bad faith. | 现在他指控道尔顿不诚实 |
[13:05] | By bringing in Honduran kids fleeing violence? | 为了引渡躲避暴力的洪都拉斯孩子吗 |
[13:08] | He’s saying we’re trying to slip it in under the radar. | 他是说我们想要偷偷地把他们引渡进来 |
[13:11] | Well, that’s exactly what we were doing. | 那确实是我们在做的事 |
[13:13] | He’s just looking for an excuse to pull out. | 他就是在找借口撤回拨款 |
[13:15] | And take his whole caucus with him. | 还带着他整个核心小组一起 |
[13:17] | You called it. | 你们预见到了 |
[13:18] | What do you want to do? | 你想怎么做 |
[13:20] | My least favorite thing: | 我最不喜欢的事 |
[13:23] | find out what he wants. | 找出他想要什么 |
[13:45] | Oh, gosh, that smells like something I need to be eating. | 天哪 闻起来像是我需要吃的东西 |
[13:48] | It is almost… | 就快 |
[13:50] | ready. | 好了 |
[13:54] | Neal Shin, | 尼尔·申 |
[13:54] | this is my daughter, Stevie. | 这是我女儿 斯蒂芬 |
[13:56] | Right. | 对了 |
[13:58] | – That’s tonight. Hi. – Yes. | -是今天晚上 你好 -对 |
[13:59] | Sorry to crash your dinner. | 抱歉在晚餐时间突然出现 |
[14:00] | No, no, I just, um, | 没有没有 我只是 |
[14:02] | I had a really crazy day at work, | 我今天工作非常忙 |
[14:04] | and I just totally spaced. | 我完全晕了 |
[14:06] | Neal, can I offer you a glass of wine? | 尼尔 给你倒杯红酒吗 |
[14:08] | Are you allowed to when you’re on duty? | 你在工作中可以喝酒吗 |
[14:10] | – No, thanks, I’m good. – I’ll have some. | -不了 谢谢 -我要一杯 |
[14:13] | So, uh… what’s happening with Morejon? | 莫雷洪是怎么回事 |
[14:16] | Or, unless… we can talk about this later. | 或者 我们一会再聊这个 |
[14:20] | It’s fine, we’re off the record on Morejon. | 没事 莫雷洪这部分我们不公开 |
[14:25] | So that works? | 这么说有用是吗 |
[14:26] | You just say “Off the record,” | 你只要说”这不公开” |
[14:28] | and you don’t publish anything that we say? | 你就不会发表任何我们说的话吗 |
[14:30] | No, not if I want anybody to trust me. | 不发表 因为我希望人们相信我 |
[14:33] | It’s one of the last great oral contracts. | 这是仅剩的口头协议之一 |
[14:35] | So let’s hear it. | 那让我们听听 |
[14:37] | Was Russell screaming about it? | 拉塞尔是对此大叫不已吗 |
[14:39] | What do you think? | 你觉得呢 |
[14:41] | I think… | 我觉得 |
[14:44] | I want to try and not think about it right now. | 现在我试着不去想这些 |
[14:46] | That sounds really nice. | 听起来不错 |
[14:47] | You guys have a nice chat. | 你们好好聊 |
[14:51] | So you’re working in the White House. | 这么说你在白宫工作 |
[14:52] | How’s that? | 感觉如何 |
[14:53] | Ah, yes, it’s, uh, it’s not really a job job, | 对 不过 那不是真的工作 |
[14:58] | it’s just an internship until I start law school. | 只是在我去读法学院之前的一份实习 |
[15:00] | Oh, cool. You know what kind of law you want to go into? | 不错 想清楚要去哪个法学院了 |
[15:04] | Not yet, um… | 还没 |
[15:06] | Sometimes I’m not even sure I’m still going. ? | 有时候都不确定我还要不要去 |
[15:09] | – We’re still off the record, right? – ?Don’t worry. | -现在的对话也是不得发表的对吧 -别担心 |
[15:12] | Yeah, it’s never a straight line. | 是啊 总是没那么容易 |
[15:14] | I started out working on my dad’s fishing boat. | 我最初在我爸爸的渔船上工作 |
[15:16] | Wow, so how did you get into reporting? | 那你是怎么进入记者行业的 |
[15:19] | Uh, the usual. | 常见的理由 |
[15:21] | Wanted a girl to think I was cool. | 想让一个姑娘觉得我很酷 |
[15:23] | Did it work? | 管用吗 |
[15:24] | No. | 没有 |
[15:25] | But I married someone cooler. | 但是我娶了一位更酷的姑娘 |
[15:28] | You dropped out of undergrad for a time, right? | 你从大学退学有一阵了吧 |
[15:31] | Yeah, um, right in the beginning | 是的 就在我妈妈 |
[15:33] | when my mom first became secretary. | 刚成为国务卿的时候 |
[15:35] | It was kind of difficult, like… | 情况有点复杂 |
[15:39] | being in the public eye and… | 受到公众的注意 |
[15:41] | But it’s had its advantages, too? | 但是也有有利的方面吧 |
[15:43] | Now you work in the White House. | 你现在在白宫工作了 |
[15:46] | Oh, yeah, I didn’t get this job because of my mom. | 我不是因为我妈妈才得到这份工作的 |
[15:52] | yeah, I was, I was actually asking Russell | 实际上 我是请拉塞尔 |
[15:54] | for a-a recommendation for law school. | 为我写一份法学院的推荐信 |
[15:57] | Well, he-he offered me the job– internship. | 他 他给了我这份工作 实习 |
[15:59] | Hey, you must be Neal. Henry McCord. | 你就是尼尔吧 我是亨利·麦考德 |
[16:01] | – Please call me Henry. – It’s nice to meet you, Henry. | -叫我亨利就可以 -很高兴见到你 亨利 |
[16:04] | Neal was just asking me about nepotism. | 尼尔刚在问我任人唯亲的事呢 |
[16:07] | I was just interested in the ways your mom’s position | 我只是对你妈妈的职位对你的生活 |
[16:10] | has affected your life. | 产生影响的方式感兴趣 |
[16:11] | Yeah, it’s just, it’s just an internship, you know. | 这 这只是一份实习 |
[16:14] | And, um… | 而且 |
[16:15] | I’m sure that a lot of people did apply for them, | 我确定有很多人递交了申请 |
[16:18] | but I happened to be the one who was there | 我只是在拉塞尔突发心脏病时碰巧在场 |
[16:21] | and called for help when Russell was having a heart attack. | 并且叫来了医护人员而已 |
[16:24] | And now I have the job, and I’m actually more of a liability | 现在我得到了这份工作 因为我妈妈的职位 |
[16:27] | than an asset because of my mom’s position, so… | 我实际上成为了麻烦而不是有用的人 |
[16:35] | I’m gonna finish setting the… table. | 我要去摆放餐具了 |
[16:43] | She grew up with an ethics professor. | 她在伦理学教授的影响下成长 |
[16:45] | We’re a little sensitive about, uh, | 我们对体制运行方式的指责 |
[16:47] | charges of working the system. | 有点敏感 |
[16:51] | So, uh… so you teach at the War College. | 你在军事学院教课 |
[16:55] | Ethics of War, yeah. | 战争伦理学 |
[16:56] | Uh, we’re starting a new department. | 我们要新成立一个学院 |
[16:57] | And you spent some time in Defense Intelligence? | 你曾在国防部情报部门工作过 |
[17:00] | – Some. – Well, that must’ve been interesting. | -有一段 -那一定很有意思 |
[17:02] | An ethicist working in intelligence. | 伦理学家在情报机构工作 |
[17:07] | You know, I’ve read a lot of your work. | 我看过很多你的报道 |
[17:08] | You’re very good at uncovering injustice. | 你非常擅长挖掘不公正的讯息 |
[17:11] | It keeps me busy. | 简直忙不过来 |
[17:12] | Let me ask you something. | 我要问你件事 |
[17:14] | Do you ever think that sometimes | 你有没有想过有时候 |
[17:15] | you find dishonesty and hypocrisy | 你发现不实和虚伪 |
[17:18] | because you’ve already decided it’s there? | 是因为你早已认定它们是存在的 |
[17:21] | Well, I prefer to think of my work | 我更倾向于把我的工作看成是 |
[17:22] | as a search for the truth, right? | 一种寻找真相的行为 好吗 |
[17:25] | Well, then, as a Catholic, | 好吧 作为一名天主教徒 |
[17:27] | I would have to say we’re both searching for something | 我要说我们都是在为我们 |
[17:29] | elusive, unreliable, prone to bias | 相信的说法寻找一些 |
[17:33] | for a story we’d like to believe. | 难以捉摸的 不确定的 有趋向的事情 |
[17:35] | Let’s eat. | 吃饭吧 |
[17:39] | Where’s Alison? Ali. | 艾莉森呢 艾莉 |
[17:41] | – I already texted for her to come down. – You text her? | -我已经发短信让她下楼了 -发短信 |
[17:43] | Oh, Neal, this is my son, Jason. ? | 尼尔 这是我儿子 杰森 |
[17:45] | Hey. How’s it going? | 嘿 你好 |
[17:46] | You want to know the truth? Love is a lie. | 你想知道真实情况吗 爱是谎言 |
[17:49] | Print that. | 发表这个吧 |
[17:50] | Bad breakup. | 糟糕的分手 |
[17:51] | And please excuse the self-pitying drama. | 请原谅这自怨自艾的闹剧 |
[17:55] | Hi, I’m Alison. | 你好 我是艾莉森 |
[17:56] | Neal. Thanks for having me. It gets better, man. | 我是尼尔 谢谢你们让我来 会好起来的 伙计 |
[17:59] | I’ve been there. | 我也经历过 |
[18:00] | – Babe, it’s getting cold. – I’m right here. | -宝贝 饭要凉了 -我来了 |
[18:02] | Yeah, Jay, listen, I got to go. Dinner’s served, | 杰伊 听着 我得挂了 晚饭好了 |
[18:05] | but we will, | 但是我们 |
[18:06] | we’ll dig into it tomorrow, okay? Thanks. | 我们明早来深挖这件事 好吗 谢谢 |
[18:11] | So, I wanted to ask you | 我想要问问你 |
[18:13] | about the impact of the job on your family. | 这份工作对你的家庭的影响 |
[18:16] | I am so sorry. I got to take this. | 非常抱歉 我得接这个电话 |
[18:20] | And there you pretty much have it. | 你差不多知道答案了吧 |
[18:23] | Pasta? | 意面 |
[18:26] | When Secretary McCord | 在你经历过这一切磨难之后 |
[18:27] | told you that she helped negotiate a deal | 国务卿麦考德告诉你 |
[18:30] | bringing the Taliban to power | 她帮助达成了 |
[18:33] | after everything you’d been through, | 让塔利班上台的协议 |
[18:35] | how’d you feel? | 你是什么感觉 |
[18:38] | I would say I was struck by the great irony of life. | 我要说我被这极具讽刺的生活当头棒喝 |
[18:42] | Not betrayed? Not enraged? | 没有背叛感 没有愤怒感 |
[18:47] | To be betrayed, one has to believe in loyalty. | 一个人要相信忠诚才能受到背叛 |
[18:49] | That’s a luxury I don’t allow myself anymore. | 我已经不再抱有那样的奢望了 |
[18:54] | Not giving you the quote you’re looking for, am I? | 没有给你期望的回答 是吗 |
[18:57] | I’m just trying to get a multitude of perspectives | 我只是想要得到一个对国务卿决策的 |
[19:00] | on the secretary’s policies. I don’t have an agenda. | 全面的看法 我没有什么动机 |
[19:05] | Everyone has an agenda. | 每个人都有动机 |
[19:11] | Here’s what I would never say to her | 这些话是我绝不会向她 |
[19:14] | or to anyone in my country, | 或者我国的任何人说的 |
[19:16] | so don’t quote me. | 别引用我的话 |
[19:22] | Maybe it was for the best. | 也许这这样会更好 |
[19:25] | Afghanistan has been exhausted to the brink of ruin | 阿富汗在数十年的战争中筋疲力尽 |
[19:28] | by decades of war. | 处于毁灭的边缘 |
[19:30] | I don’t have to tell you that. | 这一点不言自明 |
[19:32] | The first step to changing anything | 要做出任何改变的第一步 |
[19:33] | is to end the conflict. | 就要结束冲突 |
[19:36] | If giving the Taliban a seat at the table | 如果让塔利班加入内阁 |
[19:38] | and trusting that they can be more moderate | 相信他们能够更加稳定 |
[19:40] | is the first step to ending the occupation | 是结束美国的占领 |
[19:42] | of the United States and rebuilding our country… | 并且重建我们国家的第一步 |
[19:47] | I hesitate to say it, but maybe it was worth it. | 虽然我不想这么说 但是也许这是值得的 |
[19:56] | It can’t be that bad, | 描述一个正面的形象 |
[19:58] | writing a positive profile? | 没那么糟吧 |
[20:03] | You can’t make a drawing without shadows. | 一幅画作是离不开阴影的 |
[20:06] | Not a good one. | 如果是佳作 |
[20:23] | Excuse me, Mr. Shin? | 打扰一下 申先生 |
[20:25] | Jennifer Probst of Hidebound Press. | 我是《传统报》的珍妮弗·普罗布斯特 |
[20:28] | Do you have a moment? | 你有时间吗 |
[20:30] | What’s this about? | 什么事 |
[20:31] | I don’t know if you’re familiar with our work. | 我不知道你是否了解我们的工作 |
[20:33] | We’re a subsidiary of Trenton Press. | 我们是《特顿报》的分支机构 |
[20:35] | I’m familiar. | 了解 |
[20:36] | I’d like to discuss an opportunity. | 我想聊聊机会 |
[20:39] | Why don’t you call my agent. | 打给我的代理人吧 |
[20:41] | Well, I’ll leave this with you, then. | 那我把这个给你吧 |
[20:43] | We are fans of your work. | 我们很欣赏你的文章 |
[20:45] | Well, it’s not exactly the feverish conspiracy crap | 并不是你们喜欢的那种用来散布的 |
[20:47] | you guys like to dish out. | 狂热的阴谋论 |
[20:49] | Well, we’re not afraid of straight talk | 我们不害怕直接谈论 |
[20:51] | on controversial topics. | 有争议的话题 |
[20:52] | We are looking to expand across the political spectrum. | 我们希望在政治领域扩大影响 |
[20:55] | You’d be an important part of that. | 你是计划的重要部分 |
[20:57] | I loved your book proposal, by the way. | 顺便说一下 我喜欢你的书稿 |
[21:01] | Well, that makes two of us. | 我也是 |
[21:03] | This is an offer to expand your article on Secretary McCord | 这有一份提议 是将你关于国务卿麦考德的文章 |
[21:06] | into a book. | 扩充为一本书 |
[21:08] | It’d be on the fast track for fall publication | 它会加速在秋季出版 |
[21:10] | with full marketing and promotion. | 并进行全面的营销和推广 |
[21:14] | The advance is $200,000. | 预付款是20万 |
[21:17] | I don’t jump on command. Sorry. | 我不喜欢受人指使 抱歉 |
[21:19] | We’d have no editorial requirements. | 我们对编辑没有要求 |
[21:21] | That’s all in the contract, | 合同里都写了 |
[21:23] | along with some additional information | 还附上了我们收集的 |
[21:25] | we’ve gathered on the secretary. | 一些国务卿的信息 |
[21:27] | Purely for your consideration. | 仅仅供你考虑 |
[21:30] | Not interested. | 不感兴趣 |
[21:33] | Don’t you think the American public deserves | 难道你不觉得美国公众 |
[21:35] | to know the truth? | 应该知道真相吗 |
[21:38] | If nothing else, | 再不济 |
[21:40] | it might help you with your article. | 这也对你的文章有帮助 |
[21:50] | I’ll talk to you soon. | 近期再联系吧 |
[22:06] | There’s no editorial mandate. | 没有编辑要求 |
[22:08] | It’s a straightforward deal. | 这是一个简单的协议 |
[22:10] | Doesn’t mean they won’t edit me into some crazy hit job. | 并不意味他们不会将我置于某个疯狂的工作之中 |
[22:12] | Yeah, especially at a place like Hidebound. | 特别是像《传统报》这样的地方 |
[22:16] | Why you, though? | 为什么找你呢 |
[22:16] | I mean, it’s not like they need your article | 又不是说他们需要你的文章 |
[22:18] | to build their book on. | 才能出他们的书 |
[22:19] | Some BS about expanding their brand. | 一堆扩大他们品牌的废话 |
[22:22] | It looks more legit when their conspiracy nonsense | 若他们的阴谋论出自一个可靠的记者 |
[22:25] | comes from a reporter with cred. | 则会使其更可信 |
[22:30] | You think they have anything real? | 你觉得他们的信息有真实的吗 |
[22:33] | I’m sure she’s crossed some lines, they always do. | 我确定她曾越界 他们常这样 |
[22:36] | Plus, she was CIA. | 何况她曾是中情局特工 |
[22:38] | Are you gonna look? | 你要看吗 |
[22:41] | I don’t know. | 不知道 |
[22:45] | Once I open it, I can’t unsee it. | 一旦打开 我就不能视而不见 |
[22:49] | Why is the sink full of ice? | 为什么水池里都是冰块 |
[22:51] | Oh. The fridge crapped out again. | 冰箱又坏了 |
[22:53] | I didn’t want the ice to melt on the floor like last time. | 我不想冰块箱像上次一样化在地上 |
[22:56] | I thought the guy put the thing in. | 我以为那家伙把那东西装进去了 |
[23:00] | Apparently, it was a different thing. | 显然是另外一个东西 |
[23:02] | I left him a message. | 我给他留言了 |
[23:03] | He better not charge us again. | 他最好不要再收费了 |
[23:06] | I’m gonna go to bed. | 我要睡觉了 |
[23:11] | My advice? | 听我的意见吗 |
[23:13] | Don’t open it. | 别打开 |
[23:15] | Not even for 200K? | 即使有20万 |
[23:17] | I didn’t marry you for the money. | 我嫁给你不是为了钱 |
[23:21] | It’s your sterling principles that knocked me up. | 是你坚定的原则打动了我 |
[24:16] | I believe in the dreams of immigrants | 我相信那些想要为我们伟大祖国 |
[24:19] | who want to contribute to our great nation. | 做贡献的移民们的梦想 |
[24:23] | But I simply cannot support legislation on immigration | 但是我不能支持这位总统 |
[24:26] | put forth by this president when his administration | 在他的政府向歹徒和暴徒提供庇护的同时 |
[24:30] | is offering refuge to gangsters and thugs. | 提出的移民法案 |
[24:37] | Senator Morejon. | 莫雷洪参议员 |
[24:38] | Mind if I have a word? | 介意我说几句话吗 |
[24:39] | Madam Secretary, what a surprise. | 国务卿女士 真是惊喜啊 |
[24:41] | Can’t be too much of one. | 惊喜不嫌多 |
[24:44] | Nope. | 不行 |
[24:45] | Not you. | 你不能跟着 |
[24:47] | I’m with the secretary. | 我和国务卿一起来的 |
[24:48] | The senator isn’t available for questions at this time. | 参议员现在不能回答问题 |
[24:50] | So you’re interfering with the First Amendment. | 你正在违背第一修正案 |
[24:52] | Is that what’s happening here? | 是这么回事吗 |
[24:53] | Oh, you want to talk about the First Amendment. | 你想谈谈第一修正案 |
[24:54] | I’d love to talk about that fine line | 我想谈谈言论自由 |
[24:56] | between freedom of expression and slander. | 和诽谤之间的微妙区别 |
[24:58] | Do you really want to get into it with me, Neal? | 尼尔 你真的想和我争论这个问题吗 |
[25:00] | I’m on assignment from The Washington Chronicle. | 我在为《华盛顿纪事报》执行报道任务 |
[25:02] | You are preventing me from reporting | 你在阻止我进行 |
[25:03] | on the Secretary of State. | 关于国务卿的报道 |
[25:05] | The Chronicle, nice. | 《华盛顿纪事报》 不错 |
[25:06] | Are they aware of your baseless smears | 他们知道你诽谤了 |
[25:08] | against a U.S. senator? | 美国参议员吗 |
[25:09] | I had evidence. | 我有证据 |
[25:10] | It was uncorroborated. | 未经证实的证据 |
[25:12] | You violated journalistic ethics. | 你违反了新闻记者的职业道德 |
[25:13] | “Ethics,” Really? | “道德” 真的吗 |
[25:15] | I have a list the length of my arm of reckless statements | 那个政治恶霸的鲁莽和煽动仇恨情绪的言论 |
[25:18] | and hate-mongering by that political bully you work for. | 摞起来和我的胳膊一样高 |
[25:20] | Still a charmer, I see. | 还是那么能说会道 我看出来了 |
[25:23] | You’re better than this guy, Lisa. | 这家伙不配你为他工作 丽莎 |
[25:24] | You know, I love being coached on how to improve my life | 你知道 我喜欢被一个挤在媒体团里吃方便面的长舌男 |
[25:27] | by a gossip-monger eating ramen in a sweaty press pool. | 教导我如何改善生活 |
[25:30] | Yeah? Well, a life of integrity means you eat a lot of ramen. | 是吗 正直的生活意味着你需要吃很多方便面 |
[25:41] | Ready? | 准备好了吗 |
[25:42] | You bet. | 当然 |
[25:44] | It’s a long story. | 说来话长 |
[25:47] | Well, it was less of a showdown, | 与其说这是摊牌 |
[25:51] | more of a setup. | 还不如说是个圈套 |
[25:53] | Turns out that Morejon will back the immigration bill | 原来 莫雷洪将支持移民法案 |
[25:57] | as long as I can get POTUS to back off | 只要我能让总统停止 |
[26:00] | divesting from private prisons. | 从私人监狱撤出囚犯 |
[26:02] | He dragged all those Honduran kids through the mud | 他折磨那些洪都拉斯的孩子们 |
[26:04] | to work a favor on private prisons? | 只为给私人监狱提供帮助 |
[26:06] | – He was always in their pocket. – Who are his key donors? | -他总是为他们帮忙 -他的主要捐赠者是谁 |
[26:08] | Still can’t believe that he orchestrated | 我仍然不能相信他精心策划了 |
[26:09] | an entire press conference because he knew | 整个新闻发布会 因为他知道 |
[26:12] | it would bring me right to his door. | 我会中他的圈套 |
[26:14] | I hate to say it, but he played us like a fiddle. | 我不愿意这么说 但他把我们玩得团团转 |
[26:16] | Yeah, don’t say that. | 是的 不要说 |
[26:16] | Uh, bingo. Bob Haverford of Haverford Industries. | 找到了 哈弗福德工业的鲍勃·哈弗福德 |
[26:20] | Major donor to his last campaign. | 是他最后一次竞选的主要捐赠人 |
[26:21] | We’re not gonna actually do his bidding, are we? | 我们不会按他的要求行事 对吧 |
[26:24] | He’s holding the ball | 在移民改革账单的问题上 |
[26:25] | on immigration reform. | 他说了算 |
[26:27] | It’s Russell’s call now. | 这事得让拉塞尔决定 |
[26:29] | Latte for you. | 拿铁咖啡给你 |
[26:31] | This never gets old. | 我永远喝不腻 |
[26:33] | – Thank you. Neal. – Of course. | -谢谢你 尼尔 -不客气 |
[26:34] | So what was up with you and that comms director? | 那你和媒体引导员是怎么回事 |
[26:37] | Bad breakup? | 分手时不愉快吗 |
[26:39] | Oh, I missed all the fun. | 我错过了好戏 |
[26:40] | No, I-I wrote a story on some D.C. gossip blog | 不 我做特约记者的时候在华盛顿的 |
[26:43] | back when I was a stringer. | 八卦博客上写了一篇文章 |
[26:45] | Morejon’s first term as congressman, he kept | 那是莫雷洪担任国会议员的第一个任期 |
[26:47] | bragging to veterans about his military experience. | 他总是向退伍军人吹嘘他的军事经历 |
[26:50] | Something seemed off, so I dug into it. | 里面好像有什么漏洞 我就挖了一下 |
[26:52] | Let me guess: marching band? | 让我猜猜 他是军乐队成员吗 |
[26:54] | Almost. | 差不多 |
[26:55] | Um, he went to a military academy, | 他上了一所军事学院 |
[26:58] | but he was expelled when somebody outed him | 但遭人揭发后被除名 |
[27:00] | for writing his own letter of recommendation. | 因为他的推荐信是他自己写的 |
[27:02] | No– please tell me you got your hands on that letter. | 请告诉我你拿到那封信了 |
[27:05] | – And? – I did. | -然后呢 -我发表了 |
[27:07] | “Sh…” | “男” |
[27:08] | “Shining example of manhood” | “男子汉气概的光辉榜样” |
[27:10] | was a standout phrase, uh… | 很难不注意到这样的句子 |
[27:13] | Uh, “Courts adversity with the grace of a matador.” | “以斗牛士的优雅来面对逆境” |
[27:15] | And, uh… | 还有 |
[27:17] | I still feel kind of bad for the guy. | 我有点同情这家伙 |
[27:18] | Oh, don’t make us feel bad for the matador. | 别同情斗牛士 |
[27:20] | This is what elicits compassion from Neal. | 这就是尼尔的道德同情心 |
[27:24] | White House, Frank. Thanks. | 去白宫 弗兰克 谢谢 |
[27:31] | Mr. Jackson will be right in. | 杰克逊先生马上就来 |
[27:38] | I’m just gonna get back to work. | 我要回去工作了 |
[27:39] | I have a lot to do. | 我有很多事要做 |
[27:43] | She’s still a little sensitive about the whole nepotism thing. | 她对裙带关系那事还是有点敏感 |
[27:48] | So I hear our senator from Arizona wants to play hardball, | 我听说我们的亚利桑那州参议员想要来硬的 |
[27:52] | and you showed up with a Wiffle bat. | 然后你就正好凑上去了 |
[27:55] | Who are you? | 你是谁 |
[27:56] | This is the reporter you wanted to follow me around. | 这是你派来跟着我的记者 |
[28:00] | Having second thoughts about that. | 我现在有点后悔了 |
[28:03] | Russell Jackson. | 我是拉塞尔·杰克逊 |
[28:05] | Everything I say is off the record. | 我说的每句话都不能报道 |
[28:06] | – Neal Shin. – So… | -尼尔·申 -所以… |
[28:08] | what’s Morejon’s play? | 莫雷洪想怎样 |
[28:10] | He wants Dalton to back off divesting from private prisons. | 他想让道尔顿放弃从私人监狱的撤出囚犯 |
[28:15] | Stirring up fear and hatred | 激起恐惧和仇恨 |
[28:17] | to safeguard private prison contracts. | 来保护私人监狱合同 |
[28:19] | Has a certain classical flair. | 这是老手法了 |
[28:21] | Look, I know what you’re gonna say, | 听着 我知道你会说什么 |
[28:23] | but if we send those kids back to Honduras, | 但是如果我们把这些孩子送回洪都拉斯 |
[28:25] | we might as well sign their death warrants. | 就相当于签署他们的死刑令 |
[28:27] | I’ve got a whole other death warrant in mind. Russell… | -我倒想让另一个人去死 -拉塞尔… |
[28:29] | And you’re not talking me out of it this time. | 这一次你劝不动我了 |
[28:30] | This is definitely not on the record. | 这绝对不能报道 |
[28:32] | We are not dragging Morejon’s family into this. | 不能把莫雷洪的家人牵扯进来 |
[28:35] | His wife worked as an illegal. | 他的妻子是非法劳工 |
[28:36] | It’s one call to a paper. | 只需要给报社打个电话 |
[28:38] | Look, we don’t even have to pick up the phone. | 看 我们甚至不需要拿起电话 |
[28:40] | – We’re not on the record. – Why the hell not? | -他不会报道的 -为什么不呢 |
[28:41] | We are not on the record. | 这不能报道 |
[28:42] | Because we don’t do oppo, Russell. | 因为我们不能抹黑同僚 拉塞尔 |
[28:47] | Everyone in this town worth anything has an oppo file. | 这个城里的每个有头有脸的人都有一个负面档案 |
[28:50] | Using it against them is the last refuge of a scoundrel. | 用负面档案抹黑 是最不得已的无赖手段 |
[28:54] | I thought that was patriotism. | 我以为那是爱国主义 |
[28:57] | Let me just try one more thing. | 让我再试一次 |
[28:58] | That’s what you said last time, now look where we are. | 这是你上次说过的 现在看看我们的局面 |
[29:00] | If it doesn’t work, the kids are going back anyway, | 如果不行 孩子们就回国 |
[29:02] | and then you can do whatever you want with him. | 然后你可以做任何你想做的事 |
[29:09] | Fly away, starlings. Fly, fly, fly. | 前进 前进 前进 进 |
[29:13] | Neal. | 尼尔 |
[29:24] | I’ve always wanted to see this place. | 我一直想看看这个地方 |
[29:26] | Well, now you get to. | 好了 现在你看到了 |
[29:29] | Uh, ma’am. | 女士 |
[29:29] | Excuse us. | 不好意思 |
[29:34] | Mr. Haverford, Secretary McCord. | 哈弗福德先生 我是麦考德国务卿 |
[29:36] | This is a private club, Madam Secretary. | 这是一个私人俱乐部 国务卿女士 |
[29:38] | I know, and I am so sorry | 我知道 我很抱歉 |
[29:40] | that we didn’t have time to request an invitation. | 我们来不及申请你们的邀请 |
[29:43] | I guess I figured, as the CEO of a private prison, | 我想 作为一个私人监狱的首席执行官 |
[29:46] | you’d understand the private and the public | 你应该了解公事和私事 |
[29:48] | sometimes get a little mixed up. | 有时会有点搅在一起 |
[29:51] | My goodness, where are my manners? | 天啊 我太没礼貌了 |
[29:52] | Bob Haverford, this is my assistant Blake Moran, | 鲍勃·哈弗福德 这是我的助理布莱克·莫兰 |
[29:55] | and Neal Shin from The Washington Chronicle. | 来自《华盛顿纪事报》的尼尔·申 |
[29:58] | You can’t bring press in here. | 你不能把媒体带进来 |
[30:00] | This is strictly off the record. | 绝对不能报道 |
[30:03] | Of course. | 当然 |
[30:05] | But the fact | 但是 |
[30:05] | that you’re a major donor to Senator Morejon’s campaign, | 你是莫雷洪参议员竞选的主要支持者 |
[30:09] | well, that’s public information. | 这是公开信息 |
[30:12] | And I’m afraid neal is also aware | 我担心尼尔也知道 |
[30:15] | that Senator Morejon threatened to derail legislation | 参议员莫雷洪威胁要干扰国会立法 |
[30:18] | in Congress to try to put pressure on the president | 试图给总统施加压力 |
[30:22] | to drop his executive order divesting from private prisons. | 让他停止对私人监狱的撤囚 |
[30:26] | You have zero evidence of those allegations. | 你并没有证据支持这些指控 |
[30:29] | Let me just cut to the chase. | 让我切入正题 |
[30:32] | He’s not going to revoke the executive order. | 他不会撤销行政命令的 |
[30:35] | And I know that you stand to lose a lot of business | 我知道一旦联邦政府撤出其囚犯 |
[30:37] | once the federal government pulls out its inmates. | 你会失去很多生意 |
[30:40] | So, I mean, what is it? | 多少来着 |
[30:41] | Blake, is it 80%? | 布莱克 是80%吗 |
[30:42] | Oh, it’s more like 85, ma’am. | 应该是85% 国务卿 |
[30:44] | 85, wow. | 85% 好多呀 |
[30:45] | That has got to hurt. | 好心疼 |
[30:48] | The good news is, I’m here to make you an offer. | 好消息是 我来这里是给你一个机会 |
[30:51] | You’ve got four facilities in South Texas due to be empty | 你在南德克萨斯有四个监狱 |
[30:53] | once that executive order goes through. | 一旦行政命令通过 那里就没有生意了 |
[30:56] | I’d like to offer you the opportunity to repurpose | 我想给你一个将那些监狱设施重新改建为 |
[30:59] | those facilities to house immigrants and refugees | 安置在美国开始新的生活的 |
[31:01] | starting a new life in the United States. | 移民和难民的场所 |
[31:03] | You can’t railroad me like this. | 你不能逼我这么做 |
[31:06] | I know, you feel | 我知道 你觉得 |
[31:07] | unfairly stripped of your livelihood, it’s unjust. | 剥夺你的生计是不公平的 |
[31:12] | Absolutely. | 当然 |
[31:14] | Which is why you are really going to identify | 这就是为什么你要真心将这些移民 |
[31:16] | with your new clientele. | 当做你的新客户 |
[31:19] | So what do you say, Bob? | 你说呢 鲍勃 |
[31:22] | I’ll need to regroup, | 我需要重新部署 |
[31:24] | and discuss this with my board. | 和董事会讨论这个问题 |
[31:27] | All right, you do that. | 好吧 去做吧 |
[31:28] | You’ve got 24 hours before I go to one of your competitors. | 24小时后我就去和你的竞争对手谈 |
[31:31] | Enjoy your evening. | 晚安 |
[31:36] | Ma’am, when you’re ready, | 国务卿 当你准备好了 |
[31:37] | I have your remarks for the student winners | 请看看你对”美国对我意味着什么”征文比赛 |
[31:39] | of the “What America Means to Me” Essay contest. | 获胜学生的讲稿 |
[31:41] | Oh, goody. | 太好了 |
[31:42] | I love the kid stuff. | 我喜欢孩子们的事情 |
[31:44] | This might actually be fun for you, Neal. | 你可能会觉得这有趣 尼尔 |
[31:47] | Certainly better than watching that | 肯定比看刚才那个 |
[31:49] | sausage factory back there. | 香肠工厂好 |
[31:50] | Speaking of which, | 说到这里 |
[31:51] | if we don’t hit traffic, we’ll make it in time for pizza. | 如果我们不堵车 我们还有时间吃比萨 |
[31:56] | Yes. Now you are talking. | 是啊 这才对 |
[31:58] | I’m sorry, um, | 对不起 |
[31:59] | how could you make that deal? | 你怎么能谈成那个协议 |
[32:01] | It’s true Homeland Security and DOJ still have to sign off, | 没错 国土安全部和美国司法部还得签字 |
[32:05] | – but… he didn’t need to know that. – No. | -但是 他不需要知道这些 -不是 |
[32:09] | How could you cut a deal with that guy? | 你怎么能和那家伙谈生意呢 |
[32:11] | He lobbies for laws | 他游说立法 |
[32:12] | that target and imprison low-income minority Americans, | 目标是低收入的美国少数群体 |
[32:15] | so he and his cronies can get richer. | 所以他和他的同伙们可以变得更富有 |
[32:17] | It’s practically modern day slavery. | 这几乎是现代的奴隶制 |
[32:19] | And I just gave him the opportunity | 我只是给了他 |
[32:21] | to change his business model. | 改变商业模式的机会 |
[32:23] | You saved him from going under. | 你把他从破产边缘救了出来 |
[32:25] | All right? He pressured you with a corrupt senator, | 对吗 他利用一个腐败的参议员来给你施加压力 |
[32:27] | and you capitulated. | 你就投降了 |
[32:31] | Well… | 这… |
[32:33] | that’s one way to write it. | 这也是一个下笔的角度 |
[32:38] | It doesn’t matter what I write. | 我写什么并不重要 |
[32:41] | They’ll say it anyway. | 别人反正也会这么说 |
[32:43] | They’ll say you put immigrant kids in jail. | 他们会说你把移民孩子关进监狱 |
[32:47] | Right, you-you made a-a reckless deal with Iran | 你和伊朗做了一个鲁莽的协议 |
[32:49] | that made the world less safe. | 这让世界变得更加不安全 |
[32:53] | You put the Taliban in power, and… | 你让塔利班掌权 还… |
[32:56] | you sold out your own friend in Afghanistan. | 出卖了自己在阿富汗的朋友 |
[33:01] | Just grabbing babies off boats, Neal. | 尼尔 我只能尽我所能 |
[33:06] | If you want to lead this country, | 如果你想领导这个国家 |
[33:07] | then let’s be honest. | 我们就要诚实 |
[33:09] | It’s the whole reason I’m here. | 这就是为什么我在这里 |
[33:10] | Stop giving your enemies everything they need | 不要给你的敌人任何可以 |
[33:13] | to take you down. | 击败你的东西 |
[33:16] | If I started thinking about how people could use | 如果我开始思考人们如何使用 |
[33:19] | everything I say and do against me, | 我说的每一句话来对付我 |
[33:22] | I wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning. | 早上我就起不了床了 |
[33:23] | But you have to think about it. | 但你必须考虑一下 |
[33:27] | – Why? – Because that’s how you win– | -为什么 -因为这样你就赢了 |
[33:28] | by giving us an illusion we can believe in. | 只要你给我们一个可以相信的幻觉 |
[33:30] | I mean, we don’t want the truth; we just want to believe. | 我们不想要真相 我们只是想相信 |
[33:35] | Which is an absurd position for a journalist, | 对于记者来说 这是一个荒谬的立场 |
[33:37] | so forget I said any of that. | 当我没说 |
[33:41] | Every generation, the question gets asked: | 每一代人都会问这样的问题 |
[33:44] | why is the United States so involved | 为什么美国总是介入 |
[33:47] | in the rest of the world? | 世界其他地方的事务 |
[33:49] | Why do we have to be the ones to send our military | 为什么我们要派军队去 |
[33:52] | to face down a threat overseas? | 面对海外的威胁 |
[33:55] | And why must we negotiate so many trade deals | 我们为什么要谈这么多的贸易协定 |
[33:58] | and send aid to foreign countries | 向外国提供援助 |
[34:00] | and let in so many new arrivals when there are people | 向移民打开国门 |
[34:04] | who need help right here at home? | 而国内还有这么多人需要帮助 |
[34:07] | Well, next time I get those questions… | 好吧 下次再有人问我这些问题… |
[34:10] | I’m going to use your essays about | 我将用你们的文章 |
[34:12] | “What America Means to Me” | “美国对我的意义是什么” |
[34:15] | to answer them. | 回答他们 |
[34:17] | And I’m going to talk about Saya’s parents… | 我会谈起萨娅的父母 |
[34:22] | coming here from Syria and working at a donut shop | 从叙利亚来到这里 在甜甜圈店工作 |
[34:25] | until they could afford to open up their own. | 直到他们有能力开创自己的事业 |
[34:28] | And I’m going to quote Benji | 我要引用本吉说的 |
[34:31] | about how his brother, | 关于他的兄弟的话 |
[34:32] | who is kind of a screw-up– his words, not mine… | “他有些不着调” 他的原话 不是我说的 |
[34:38] | …put his life back together while he was working | …他在和美国志愿队一起工作 帮助重建海地时 |
[34:40] | with AmeriCorps to help Haiti get back on its feet. | 重新规划好了自己的生活 |
[34:45] | And I’m going to talk about Dana’s unforgettable day | 我要告诉他们达娜在世贸中心遗址 |
[34:49] | at Ground Zero, and her powerful ideas | 度过的难忘的一天和她关于如何治愈仇恨 |
[34:52] | for how to heal hatred and overcome fear. | 和克服恐惧的强大思想 |
[34:56] | So thank you for doing my job for me. | 所以 谢谢你们做了我的工作 |
[35:02] | We all hear people say | 我们都曾听别人说 |
[35:05] | politicians are liars, | 政治家是骗子 |
[35:08] | corporations are greedy, and the whole system | 大公司是贪婪的 整个系统 |
[35:12] | is rigged against the little guy. | 是被人操纵来压榨小人物的 |
[35:14] | And sometimes that’s true. | 有时这是真的 |
[35:15] | But most of the time, it isn’t. | 但大多数时候 事实并非如此 |
[35:18] | I think that… | 我认为… |
[35:20] | what America means to me is | 美国对我来说的意义 |
[35:23] | that we get to say these things. | 就是我们能够说这样的话 |
[35:27] | We get to… | 我们能够… |
[35:28] | question and challenge and argue and… | 质疑 挑战 争论 以及 |
[35:33] | make up our own minds. | 为自己做决定 |
[35:35] | Because when only one truth prevails– | 因为只有一种真理是真的 |
[35:39] | everything is broken, | 一切都不管用 |
[35:40] | that guy’s a monster, that guy’s our savior… | 这个人是个怪物 那个人是我们的救世主… |
[35:46] | …that’s called tyranny. | …这是所谓的暴政 |
[35:48] | And nothing could be less American. | 这在美国是不存在的 |
[35:52] | Congratulations to all the winners. | 祝贺所有的获奖者 |
[35:59] | Nice speech. | 演讲真不错 |
[36:00] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[36:02] | Not what I wrote. | 不是我写的 |
[36:05] | That’s a bad case of Writer Face. | 你这表情有点糟糕 |
[36:09] | Let me help you think. | 让我帮你想想 |
[36:11] | What’s your angle? | 你的角度是什么 |
[36:13] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[36:14] | You know, she seems like this… | 你知道 她看起来… |
[36:16] | completely unmanaged public figure | 像个完全不圆滑的公众人物 |
[36:18] | who breaks all the rules. | 打破了所有规则 |
[36:19] | She crosses party lines, | 跨越党派界限 |
[36:21] | you know, gives inspiring speeches | 做关于独立思考的 |
[36:23] | about independent thinking– | 鼓舞人心的演讲 |
[36:24] | but then she lets herself get played by some crap senator. | 但她却让自己被垃圾议员玩弄 |
[36:28] | You know, bails out the worst kind of cronyism, just… | 完完全全的任人唯亲… |
[36:31] | What do you think? | 你怎么想 |
[36:39] | The stuff on that file– | 那份材料里的东西 |
[36:41] | it’s not great. | 不太好 |
[36:43] | So you read it. | 所以你看了 |
[36:49] | Doesn’t mean I’m committing to anything. | 这并不意味着我要答应任何事 |
[37:09] | Write what you saw. | 写你所看到的 |
[37:11] | Write the truth. | 写真相 |
[37:21] | Fridge is fixed. | 冰箱修好了 |
[37:45] | I think what America means | 我想美国的意义 |
[37:47] | to me is that we get to say these things. | 对我来说 是我们可以说这样的话 |
[37:52] | Question… | 质疑… |
[37:53] | and challenge | 和挑战 |
[37:54] | and argue, make up our own minds. | 以及 为自己做决定 |
[38:08] | A bus loaded with nearly 80 unaccompanied minors | 一辆载有近80名无人陪伴的 |
[38:11] | from Honduras found temporary refuge | 洪都拉斯未成年人的大巴车 |
[38:14] | in the United States this morning, | 今早在美国找到了临时避难所 |
[38:16] | while their requests for humanitarian parole are pending. | 而他们的人道主义保释请求仍在处理中 |
[38:20] | Fleeing rampant gang violence… | 逃离猖獗的帮派暴力… |
[38:22] | How’s it going? | 进展得怎样 |
[38:24] | Deadline’s in two hours. | 还有两个小时就得交稿了 |
[38:25] | Just bringing it in for a landing. | 马上就写完了 |
[38:26] | Good. So now’s an okay time | 好 所以现在是时候 |
[38:28] | to tell you that I’m having contractions. | 告诉你我在宫缩了 |
[38:31] | What? When did they start? | 什么 什么时候开始的 |
[38:33] | – Relax, relax. – Oh, my God. | -放松 放松 -天啊 |
[38:34] | – Since, like, 2:00 A.M. – Hey, you didn’t tell me? | -从 凌晨两点开始 -你怎么没告诉我 |
[38:36] | – Are you okay? – Ah, no, I’m good, I’m good… | -你还好吗 -没事 我很好 我很好… |
[38:39] | All right, you know what? We got to go, we got to go. | 好吧 我们得去医院 |
[38:40] | – Where’s your bag? Where’s your bag? – It’s by the door. | -你的包在哪里 你的包在哪里 -在门边 |
[38:42] | – What about your deadline? – Okay. Come on. No, no, no. | -你的交稿时间呢 -别担心 |
[38:44] | I’ll finish at the hospital. | 我在医院再写完 |
[38:44] | – Are you sure? – Come on. Yes, yes, yes. | -你确定吗 -走吧 好的 |
[38:46] | Shauna, come on, stop talking. | 肖娜 快点 别说话了 |
[38:47] | – I can probably wait. – Come on. Let’s go, let’s go. | -我没准可以再等等 -快 我们走 |
[39:02] | Okay, let me see the little bundle. | 好吧 让我看看这个小宝贝 |
[39:06] | Madam Secretary, this is very kind of you. | 国务卿女士 您真是太好了 |
[39:08] | You didn’t have to come. | 你没必要来的 |
[39:08] | I told you, it is all about the kid stuff. | 我告诉过你 我最喜欢孩子的事情了 |
[39:12] | Where is your sister? | 你妹妹在哪里 |
[39:14] | Uh, she’s in with Shauna– they’re still working out… | 她和肖娜在一起 她们还在学习… |
[39:16] | …the double breastfeeding thing. | …双母乳喂养的事情 |
[39:17] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[39:19] | I want to hold you so bad, | 我好想抱抱她 |
[39:22] | but I am tainted with all the germs of the world. | 但我身上住满了全世界的细菌 |
[39:25] | So, um… | 那… |
[39:27] | you saw the article posted this morning? | 你看到今天早上发表的文章了吗 |
[39:28] | I did. | 我看了 |
[39:30] | Yet I still brought you a present. | 但我还是给你带了礼物 |
[39:32] | – How about that? – I’m sorry if anything was over the line. | -怎么样 -如果说错了什么 我很抱歉 |
[39:34] | No. I said I wanted transparency. | 不 我说我想要透明 |
[39:38] | Prison deal was a bit tough, | 监狱的协议有点刺耳 |
[39:40] | but you gave all sides. | 但是你的评论很全面 |
[39:43] | that was the point. | 这才是关键 |
[39:46] | Oh. Well, listen, I’m gonna leave you to it. | 不耽误你照顾孩子了 |
[39:49] | – Congratulations. – Thank you. | -祝贺你 -谢谢 |
[39:52] | Oh. I… | 我… |
[39:54] | I meant to tell you that I read your book proposal, | 我想告诉你我读了你的书稿 |
[39:57] | and you got to hang in there with that, | 你必须坚持住 |
[39:58] | you know, find the right publisher, because… | 找到合适的出版商 因为… |
[40:01] | that is a story that needs to be told. | 这是一个必须讲出来的故事 |
[40:03] | Thank you, Madam Secretary. | 谢谢你 国务卿女士 |
[40:05] | You bet. | 不客气 |
[40:06] | And, uh, when you open this, | 当你打开这个 |
[40:09] | you might be going, | 你可能会说 |
[40:09] | “Really? A wet/dry vac”” | “真的吗 一个干湿两用吸尘器” |
[40:11] | But trust me, | 但是相信我 |
[40:13] | one day you are gonna thank me. | 总有一天你会感谢我的 |
[40:16] | Good luck, Neal. | 祝你好运 尼尔 |
[40:18] | Thank you for everything. | 感谢你做的一切 |
[40:23] | You see that lady? | 你看见那位女士了吗 |
[40:26] | She’s gonna be your president one day. | 有一天 她会成为你的总统的 |
[40:37] | Mr. Shin, ma’am. | 申先生来了 国务卿 |
[40:39] | Neal. | 尼尔 |
[40:41] | Wet/dry vac not working out for you? | 干湿两用吸尘器不适合你吗 |
[40:44] | we haven’t quite gotten there yet. | 我们还没到那一步 |
[40:45] | I’m just, I’m kidding, I’m kidding. | 开玩笑 开玩笑 |
[40:47] | What can I do for you? | 找我什么事 |
[40:49] | sorry to come by again. | 很抱歉我又来了 |
[40:50] | I, um… I wanted to bring you something in person. | 我想亲自给你一个东西 |
[40:58] | A publisher approached me, | 一个出版商联系我 |
[40:59] | asking me to write a book about you, | 让我写一本关于你的书 |
[41:02] | exposing everything that’s on that drive. | 把这优盘上的所有的东西都揭发出来 |
[41:04] | I don’t know where they got it, I don’t know… | 我不知道他们是从哪里得到的 我不知道… |
[41:06] | how much of it’s true, but, | 有多少是真实的 |
[41:07] | you know some writer who’s even hungrier than I am | 你知道我更渴望的一些作家 |
[41:09] | is gonna take that deal, | 会同意这个书约 |
[41:11] | and you should know what’s coming. | 你应该有所准备 |
[41:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[41:16] | But you can keep it. | 但你可以自己留着 |
[41:22] | I don’t think you want me to have this: the, uh… | 我不认为你想让这样的东西落在我手里 |
[41:25] | the enhanced interrogation of Safeer Al-Jamil, | 对贾米尔的刑讯拷问 |
[41:28] | the death of Joseph Garcia… | 约瑟夫·加西亚之死… |
[41:31] | I have a pretty good idea about what’s on there. | 我大概知道上面都有什么内容 |
[41:36] | But I stand by my choices, | 但我坚持我的选择 |
[41:38] | and I’ll explain them to anyone who asks. | 我会向任何问我的人解释 |
[41:44] | Keep grabbing babies off boats, then, I guess. | 我想 那你就继续尽你所能吧 |
[41:47] | You, too. | 你也是 |
[42:11] | Will you do me a favor and… | 你能帮我一个忙吗 |
[42:14] | keep that somewhere safe? | 保管好这个优盘 |
[42:16] | What is it? | 这是什么 |
[42:20] | Tell her it’s for when she’s ready to do battle with tyranny. | 就跟她说这能帮她与暴政作斗争吧 |