时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | June. June, uh, my mom just called. | 琼 我妈刚才打电话来了 |
[00:08] | I mean, Secretary McCord. | 我是说国务卿麦考德 |
[00:10] | I know who your mother is. | 我知道你妈是谁 |
[00:11] | Of course. Uh, she’s running late. | 当然 她有点晚了 |
[00:12] | SecState’s a few minutes late. | 国务卿要晚几分钟 |
[00:14] | Copy. | 收到 |
[00:15] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[00:17] | I think the president’s enjoying entertaining | 总统一定是乐此不疲地款待 |
[00:19] | the Indian and Pakistani prime ministers. | 印度和巴基斯坦总理呢 |
[00:22] | So I’m at this | 有一次我到塔拉哈西一个鳄鱼农场 |
[00:24] | donor dinner at a gator farm in Tallahassee | 参加捐助人晚宴 |
[00:27] | and I drop my phone in the bushes. Reach down. | 我手机掉草丛里了 我弯腰去捡 |
[00:30] | Find myself face-to-face with a 15-footer | 然后跟一个从什么地方逃出来的 |
[00:33] | that had gotten loose. | 十五尺长的家伙打了个照面 |
[00:34] | I thought American alligators were supposed to be aggressive. | 美国鳄鱼不是应该很凶的吗 |
[00:38] | They are. | 它们是啊 |
[00:39] | Unless you rub their bellies. | 除非你揉它们的肚子 |
[00:41] | Puts them to sleep. | 让它们打瞌睡 |
[00:44] | He writes me now. | 现在我们俩成笔友了 |
[00:46] | The president tried the same trick with Speaker. | 总统在议长身上用同样的招 |
[00:49] | Didn’t work this well. | 结果没那么有效 |
[00:50] | The secretary’s running late, Mr. President. | 总统先生 国务卿要晚一点 |
[00:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[00:53] | Uh, apparently, Elizabeth is running a little late. | 很明显 伊丽莎白要迟到一点 |
[00:56] | Ah, she has something more important than making history? | 她有比创造历史更重要的事情吗 |
[01:00] | – D.C. Traffic. ?- Ah. | -首都的交通 -哦 |
[01:01] | Good morning, Minister Samant. | 萨曼特部长 早上好 |
[01:03] | Good morning, June. | 早上好 琼 |
[01:04] | Just a few minutes behind. | 会晚一点点 |
[01:06] | Can you believe how quickly all this came together? | 这么快就搞定了 你能相信吗 |
[01:07] | In a word, hell no. | 一个字 不 |
[01:09] | – And your husband… – Welcome, Chondita. | -你丈夫 -欢迎你 崇蒂塔 |
[01:11] | – President Dalton. ?- Please. | -道尔顿总统 -请 |
[01:13] | Pens… | 笔 |
[01:14] | Kind of important for a signing ceremony, | 对签字仪式来说很重要的 |
[01:16] | – don’t you think? – I, uh… | -对不对 -我 |
[01:22] | Crap. | 糟了 |
[01:45] | We need a medic. | 我们需要医务人员 |
[01:56] | Help her up! | 把她扶起来 |
[02:00] | Where is he? Where is…? | 他在哪儿 他在 |
[02:02] | All right! I got it! I got it! | 好了 我接到了 |
[02:04] | That was probably too far over. | 这打得可能太远了 |
[02:04] | Okay, coming for you. Ooh! ?Ready? | 冲你来了啊 准备好了吗 |
[02:07] | Yep. | 当然 |
[02:08] | – That was her point. – Over the net. I can’t… | -她得分了 -过网了 我没办法 |
[02:11] | Come on. It’s your serve, Jason. | 杰森 该你发球了 |
[02:14] | – I’m a pro. – Hey, you two. | -我可是专业的 -两位 |
[02:16] | Don’t say that. You’re not… | 别这么说 你不是 |
[02:18] | My Grandma Hattie’s famous gimlets. | 我祖母海蒂拿手的吉姆雷特鸡尾酒 |
[02:21] | Oh, well, far be it from us to let down Grandma Hattie. ?Wow. | 我们可不敢让海蒂祖母失望 |
[02:25] | – Oh, Lydia, thank you so much… – Thank you. | – 莉迪亚 非常感谢 -这一切 |
[02:27] | …for everything, all of it. | 都太感谢了 |
[02:28] | Oh, please. I mean, | 不用了 |
[02:30] | what good is this old money pit | 如果不能跟朋友分享 |
[02:31] | if you can’t share it with friends. | 那这费钱的东西有什么意义呢 |
[02:34] | Grandma Hattie… Gosh. | 海蒂祖母 好家伙 |
[02:35] | It’s got a bite. | 是挺有劲的 |
[02:36] | Bottoms up. | 干了吧 |
[02:39] | Oh, my gosh. | 好家伙 |
[02:45] | If I have one of those, do you promise not to tell Carol? | 如果我弄这么个东西 答应我别告诉卡罗尔 |
[02:47] | I’ll tell her. | 我一定告诉她 |
[02:49] | I don’t know why you wives are all so interested | 我真搞不懂你们这些老婆们 |
[02:50] | in keeping us around. | 干嘛要老跟我们作对 |
[02:52] | Time for the Daily Brief. | 到了每日简报的时间了 |
[02:53] | Already? | 都到点了 |
[02:55] | Might want to lose the apron. | 要不摘了这围裙吧 |
[02:57] | Yeah. Although, I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t want | 好吧 虽然我不明白他们为什么 |
[03:00] | to see me in my apron. | 不愿意看我穿着围裙 |
[03:07] | Do we really need photographic evidence? | 真的需要拍照吗 |
[03:09] | Country likes to be reassured | 整个国家希望确信 |
[03:10] | you’re still at the wheel, sir. | 您还在掌舵 |
[03:13] | Alison, can you take over? | 艾莉森 你来接替我行吗 |
[03:14] | I have to tend to my day job. | 我得要开始工作了 |
[03:15] | -Hey. – Hey. – No problem. | -你好 -你好 -没问题 |
[03:18] | – PDB. – Two minutes… | -总统每日简报 -两分钟 |
[03:20] | Not a bad idea for your country to see you, uh, | 让全国都看到你在总统身边 |
[03:22] | next to the president preparing | 做好准备当他们下一任的领袖 |
[03:24] | to be their next leader. | 应该是个好主意 |
[03:25] | I knew I shouldn’t have told you guys I was running, | 我就知道我不应该告诉你们我准备参选的 |
[03:29] | Russell. | 拉塞尔 |
[03:30] | Well, you know what? Go ahead. | 没事的 你去吧 |
[03:32] | I got work to do, anyway. | 我反正也有工作要做 |
[03:35] | Colluder. | 同谋犯 |
[03:36] | I’ve got to prepare for that panel | 配合你的印度国事访问 我得要准备 |
[03:39] | on religion and democracy in tandem | 关于宗教和民主的 |
[03:41] | with your India state visit– What? What’d I do? | 小组讨论啊 怎么了 我做错什么了 |
[03:44] | When I get back I’m gonna beat you in badminton. ? | 等我回来我打羽毛球教训教训你 |
[03:46] | – Badly. – Yeah, you’re gonna try. | -痛打 -放马过来 |
[03:51] | HUMINT indicates the Indian government has decided not | 人工情报显示印度政府已经决定 |
[03:53] | to take any definitive actions to quell Hindu nationalists | 不针对印度民族主义分子采取行动 |
[03:57] | from violently attacking members of India’s Muslim minority. | 去制止他们暴力袭击印度的穆斯林少数民族 |
[04:01] | In fact, a variety of sources indicate the Indian government | 实际上 若干渠道显示印度政府 |
[04:03] | is siding with the Hindu nationalists, | 支持印度民族主义分子 |
[04:06] | and has deemed any responses | 并且把任何有可能阻止 |
[04:07] | that could prevent further attacks | 进一步袭击行为的举措 |
[04:09] | as politically dangerous. | 都视为政治危险 |
[04:12] | Wow, that’s disappointing. | 这太令人失望了 |
[04:13] | Yeah, but are you surprised? | 不过你感到意外吗 |
[04:17] | I want to issue a public rebuke. | 我要发表公开谴责 |
[04:20] | Condemning the Indian government’s | 谴责印度政府对于针对其公民的暴力 |
[04:22] | insufficient response to violence against its citizens. | 缺乏有效的应对 |
[04:25] | Do we really want to embarrass | 我们真的想要在印度总理卡特里 |
[04:27] | Prime Minister Khatri on the eve of her U.S. Trip? | 访美之前这么羞辱他吗 |
[04:30] | It’s just a question. | 就是问问而已 |
[04:35] | Do it, Bess. | 贝丝 就这么做吧 |
[04:37] | What else, Dana? | 达娜 还有别的吗 |
[04:38] | At 0500, FBI SWAT, alongside ATF, | 凌晨五点联调局特警队连同烟火爆炸物管理局 |
[04:42] | raided the home of APF leader Angus Gardner. | 搜查了APF头目安格斯·加德纳的家 |
[04:45] | Suspects were apprehended without incident. | 嫌疑人均顺利归案 |
[04:47] | APF. | APF是什么 |
[04:48] | It’s Aryan Popular Force. | 雅利安人民武装 |
[04:50] | It’s the white nationalist group | 是一个白人民族主义组织 |
[04:52] | that firebombed that refugee processing center | 在我们通过了移民法以后 他们炸了 |
[04:55] | when we passed our, uh, Immigration Bill. | 那个难民处置中心 |
[04:58] | I guess India hasn’t cornered the market | 印度不是唯一出产 |
[05:00] | on violent nationalism. | 暴力民族主义的地方 |
[05:03] | No. | 是啊 |
[05:06] | – Ma’am. – Welcome back. | -国务卿 -欢迎您回来 |
[05:07] | Welcome back, Madam Secretary. | 国务卿女士 欢迎回来 |
[05:09] | Wish I could say it’s good to be back, | 我真想回一句 回来真好 |
[05:11] | but, ah, that beach. | 不过 那个海滩 |
[05:13] | Oh, and those beach looks. | 还有你们在海滩的样子 |
[05:15] | I love that floral print cover-up. | 我特别喜欢你的印花大袍子 |
[05:17] | And that house. | 还有那房子 |
[05:18] | Oh, to die. | 太棒了 |
[05:19] | Okay, that is still the weird part. | 这个其实挺怪异的 |
[05:21] | Someone’s vacation as news. | 把某人的休假作为新闻被人旁观 |
[05:24] | It did look very future-presidential candidatey, ma’am. | 国务卿 看着还挺有下届总统候选人味道的 |
[05:26] | Hey. No P-word. | 别提什么总啊之类的 |
[05:28] | Just saying. ? | 就那么一说 |
[05:30] | No getting out over our skis, people, okay? | 不能把身体探到雪板外面啊 危险 好吗 |
[05:32] | Wait. Aren’t you supposed to lean forward over your skis? | 等等 难道不是应该把身体往雪板前面探吗 |
[05:36] | Do any of you actually ski? | 你们有谁真的会滑雪吗 |
[05:38] | – No. – No. | -不会 -不会 |
[05:39] | You have time to ski? | 你还有时间滑雪啊 |
[05:41] | – Absolutely not. – ?Mm. | -绝对没有 -哼 |
[05:43] | I left a draft statement | 我把谴责印度的 |
[05:44] | – of your India-scolding on your desk. – Great. | -声明草稿放您桌上了 -太好了 |
[05:47] | I want it out this morning before the delegation arrives. | 我要在今天早上代表团抵达之前就发出去 |
[05:50] | Ma’am. | 国务卿 |
[05:51] | It looks like your back channel effort to get Pakistan | 看起来你试图通过非正式渠道让巴基斯坦 |
[05:53] | to the table on denuclearizing the subcontinent | 重回南亚次大陆无核化谈判的努力 |
[05:55] | has borne fruit. | 收到成效了 |
[05:57] | Oh, and, hi, welcome back. | 噢 对了 欢迎您回来 |
[05:58] | No. It’s o-okay. I like that kind of welcome. | 没事 我欣赏你那样的欢迎 |
[06:00] | What, uh, what kind of fruit are we talking? | 你说的是什么样的成效 |
[06:03] | I just spoke to Anjit Marwat, | 我刚刚跟巴基斯坦外交部长 |
[06:05] | Pakistan’s minister of foreign affairs. | 安吉特·马尔瓦特通过话 |
[06:07] | They’re open to bilateral nuclear disarmament with India | 如果我们能保障他们从印控克什米尔流过的 |
[06:09] | if we can guarantee their water supply flowing | 水源供给 他们对与印度展开双边 |
[06:12] | from India-controlled Kashmir. | 无核化谈判持开放态度 |
[06:14] | Timing’s not great | 您谴责印度的 |
[06:15] | with your India-scolding. | 声明好像时机不太对了 |
[06:19] | Well, you’re right. | 你说的对 |
[06:29] | Yeah. Matt, uh, | 马特 |
[06:30] | re-craft that statement, just softening the language. | 修改一下声明 语言再温和一些 |
[06:33] | Um, yes, ma’am. | 是 国务卿 |
[06:36] | Ma’am, anything less than an unqualified | 国务卿 针对穆斯林少数派的暴力行为 |
[06:38] | condemnation of violence against the Muslim minority | 如果不对其进行强烈谴责 |
[06:40] | – will look like… – I know how it looks. | -看起来就像 -我知道 |
[06:43] | But a chance to eliminate nuclear weapons | 但这是消除次大陆地区核武器的好机会 |
[06:45] | on the subcontinent makes all parties safer, | 这能让各方都更加安全 |
[06:48] | including oppressed minorities. | 包括受压迫的少数派 |
[06:52] | Let’s– Come on. Get going on it, please. | 就这么办吧 请继续 |
[07:07] | Will you be wrapping up that project any time soon? | 你还要多久才能完成这项乒乒乓乓的工作 |
[07:10] | I’m almost done. | 马上就好 |
[07:11] | Is it distracting you? | 打扰到您了吗 |
[07:12] | I don’t distract; it’s bothering me. | 我从不受干扰 只是这让我很不舒服 |
[07:17] | I guess Adele is used to people flitting in and out. | 我估计阿黛尔已经习惯了有人进进出出 |
[07:20] | He didn’t have an intern when I was here. | 我当年在这的时候可没有实习生 |
[07:23] | So how much, uh, how much longer will Adele be out? | 阿黛尔 还要多久回来 |
[07:25] | 11 days. | 11天 |
[07:27] | It’s her first real vacation in four years. | 这是她四年时间里第一次真正的假期 |
[07:29] | I warned her it would never happen | 我提醒过她 除非离职 |
[07:31] | if she didn’t pack up and leave. | 不然别想休假 |
[07:32] | Yeah. We were both surprised. | 没错 我也很惊讶 |
[07:36] | Oh, I, uh, I hear that you’re thinking | 我听说 您在考虑 |
[07:38] | of moving full time to Palm Beach. | 彻底搬去棕榈滩 |
[07:41] | That’s Oscar’s dream. | 这是奥斯卡的梦想 |
[07:42] | He won’t step foot out of Florida. | 他绝不踏出佛罗里达州半步 |
[07:44] | I’m keeping the place in Bethesda. | 我甚至在贝塞斯达医院留了床位 |
[07:46] | Oh, uh, June. | 琼恩 |
[07:47] | Get something casual on the books | 周六和帕拉特参议员的会面 |
[07:49] | with Senator Pratt this weekend | 准备点休闲节目 |
[07:51] | — liquids, no food. | 酒水就行 不需要食物 |
[07:52] | And RSVP “No” to Chip Harding’s wedding. | 劳驾拒绝奇普·哈尔丁的婚礼邀请 |
[07:55] | I’ll catch the next one. | 他下次结婚我再去 |
[07:58] | Make sure the DNI includes an Aryan Popular Force update | 确保国防情报处在明天的总统每日简报上 |
[08:01] | for tomorrow’s PDB. | 汇报雅利安人民武装的最新情况 |
[08:04] | Coordinate a briefing | 为国务卿和那什么安排一场 |
[08:06] | on SecState’s Pakistani situation with… | 关于巴基斯坦形势的简报 |
[08:14] | What in God’s name is that? | 到底叫什么来着 |
[08:17] | Oh. Um, the coffee machine was on its last leg, | 这个 咖啡机光荣退休了 |
[08:20] | and since you’re trying to wean yourself off of coffee, anyway, | 正好您又在戒咖啡 |
[08:24] | I thought a tea station might be a better option. | 我觉得换成茶可能更好 |
[08:26] | Um, particularly matcha green tea, | 尤其是抹茶 |
[08:28] | which has a number of health benefits. | 对健康益处多多 |
[08:30] | Okay. | 停 |
[08:31] | Um, first of all, don’t ever use the word | 首先 别再在我身上 |
[08:34] | “wean” in a sentence involving me again. | 用”戒”这个词 |
[08:37] | Second of all, don’t ever use the word “matcha” | 其次 别在我面前提 |
[08:39] | – in a sentence involving me. – Okay. | -“抹茶”这个词 -好的 |
[08:41] | Just get the old machine back. | 把咖啡机搬回来 |
[08:44] | Decaf is enough of a compromise. | 让步喝脱因咖啡已经够有诚意了 |
[08:48] | Coordinate the briefing with Secretary of State McCord, | 为麦考德国务卿 |
[08:51] | Energy Secretary Singer, | 能源部长辛格 |
[08:52] | and the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. | 以及参议院外交委员会安排一场简报 |
[08:53] | Yes. | 没错 |
[08:54] | And find me a geological map of Kashmir, | 再帮我找一张克什米尔地区的地质图 |
[08:57] | but, uh… | 但是 |
[08:58] | A big one, not that little printout from the Internet. | 要大的 不要从网上打印的那种小地图 |
[09:01] | Thank you. | 多谢 |
[09:04] | You’ll get it, dear. | 你会慢慢上手的 亲爱的 |
[09:11] | If it’s, uh, not too much of an inconvenience, | 如果方便的话 |
[09:13] | I have a doctor’s appointment day after tomorrow at noon. | 我后天中午预约了医生想去看一下 |
[09:15] | I can just work through and make that my… | 我会把工作做完 |
[09:16] | What’s wrong with you? | 你哪里不舒服 |
[09:18] | – What? – Are you sick? | -什么 -你生病了吗 |
[09:20] | Oh, no. I just go in, | 没有 我只是 |
[09:22] | you know, once a year; it’s a regular checkup. | 只是一年一次的 常规体检 |
[09:25] | Don’t overshare, dear. | 不用说得这么具体 |
[09:26] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:28] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[09:46] | Welcome, Prime Minister Khatri. | 欢迎到访 卡特里总理 |
[09:48] | Thank you, President Dalton. | 谢谢 道尔顿总统 |
[09:49] | – Foreign Minister Samant. – Prime Minister. | -萨曼特外长 -总理 |
[09:50] | Madam Secretary. | 国务卿 |
[09:51] | – Please. – Thank you so much. | -这边请 -多谢 |
[09:54] | Chondita, I know we have an ambitious agenda, | 崇蒂塔 我知道此次的行程很紧张 |
[09:57] | but I have never been more optimistic | 但我认为现在是一个大好时机 |
[10:00] | about what we can achieve together | 如果贵国政府能与巴基斯坦签署安全协议 |
[10:02] | on a security agreement between your government and Pakistan. | 我们将达成史无前例的成就 |
[10:04] | I have heard about your back channel with Pakistan, | 我听说了你与巴基斯坦在私下接触 |
[10:07] | Yes. | 没错 |
[10:08] | but how can India make deals with a country | 但印度怎么可能与一个 |
[10:10] | that has repeatedly subjected us | 挑起残忍的恐怖袭击与无尽争端的国家 |
[10:12] | to barbaric terrorist attacks and endless wars? | 握手言和呢 |
[10:16] | Isn’t that exactly why you would want a deal? | 达成协议不正是为了扼止这些纷争吗 |
[10:19] | President Dalton | 道尔顿总统 |
[10:20] | is willing to talk U.S. security guarantees. | 愿意就美方提供安全保障进行磋商 |
[10:23] | Even extending our nuclear umbrella | 甚至可以将印度与巴基斯坦 |
[10:26] | to India and Pakistan. | 纳入核保护伞 |
[10:27] | We are comfortable with our current policy. | 我们认为当前的政策非常合适 |
[10:30] | Right. Yeah. | 好吧 |
[10:31] | Mutually assured destruction. | 确保相互摧毁 |
[10:33] | I understand it seeming like an acceptable policy. | 我能理解 这一政策看起来可行 |
[10:37] | Until it fails. | 但最终难逃失败命运 |
[10:40] | Our nuclear program is a source | 核项目是我们民族自豪的一部分 |
[10:42] | of national pride, as is Pakistan’s. | 巴基斯坦也是一样 |
[10:44] | And, as you said, we have so much work to do, | 您刚刚也说了 今天的议程很紧张 |
[10:47] | let’s not waste time on fantasy. | 我们就别再不切实际的事情上浪费时间了 |
[10:52] | Jay… | 杰伊 |
[10:53] | just get with OMB and Treasury. | 去搞定预算办公室和财政部 |
[10:56] | I find it hard to believe | 我简直无法相信 |
[10:57] | there isn’t some play in the wheel | 我们的印度政策居然没有 |
[10:59] | on our India policy. | 应对这一状况的策略 |
[11:01] | Well, I… Yes, I get that. | 好吧 我 我知道 |
[11:03] | Just do it, okay? | 就照我说的做 好吗 |
[11:04] | And remind them that it is | 记得提醒他们 这么做是为了 |
[11:08] | to avoid nuclear war on the subcontinent. | 避免次大陆发生核战争 |
[11:11] | Yes. | 好的 |
[11:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[11:13] | Wow. It’s like my staff is suddenly surprised | 我的手下好像突然对于我使用迂回手段 |
[11:18] | that I’m trying to be diplomatic. | 而感到惊讶 |
[11:20] | I mean, I share their concerns, yeah. | 我想说的是 我理解他们的担忧 |
[11:22] | But, you know, hello, big picture here. | 但是 大局更重要 |
[11:27] | It’s just… | 我只是 |
[11:38] | I’m starting to feel silently judged. | 我觉得你在心里评判我 |
[11:41] | Just unpacking, babe. | 我只是在收拾东西 亲爱的 |
[11:43] | After 28 years, | 28年的老夫老妻了 |
[11:45] | I know just unpacking, | 我知道你收拾东西是什么样的 |
[11:46] | and that isn’t it. | 现在这表现明显不是 |
[11:49] | All right, maybe I’m just a little surprised | 好吧 我是有一些惊讶 |
[11:51] | that you pivoted from a statement of condemnation | 你居然放弃公开谴责 |
[11:54] | to a goody bag of incentives for India. | 转而向印度提供一系列好处 |
[11:56] | Wow. Starting to prefer silently judged. | 你还是在心里默默评判我吧 |
[11:59] | Obviously, I understand prioritizing a nuclear deal, | 我当然能理解核协议优先这种做法 |
[12:03] | but I just worry | 我只是担心 |
[12:04] | that a muted response to ethnic violence | 对种族暴力保持沉默 |
[12:07] | can help normalize it. | 可能会助长它的气焰 |
[12:09] | And is a long-shot deal | 这样可能性微乎其微的协议 |
[12:11] | really worth that risk? | 真的值得冒这么大风险吗 |
[12:13] | Okay. | 行吧 |
[12:14] | First of all, long shot? | 首先 微乎其微 |
[12:17] | It’s maybe a… | 这或许的确 |
[12:18] | a fairly distant shot, yeah. | 可能性不是特别大 |
[12:22] | And we can still condemn the recent violence, | 而且我们还是可以谴责近期的暴力行为的 |
[12:24] | albeit mutedly, | 用一种沉默的方式 |
[12:26] | without giving up on a disarmament deal | 同时又不放弃裁军协议 |
[12:29] | that could make the entire world safer. | 这个协议可以让整个世界更加安全 |
[12:34] | So… | 所以 |
[12:37] | That’s it? | 就这反应 |
[12:39] | I like my marriage. | 我不想吵架 |
[12:43] | – Feels like it. – And I understand | -感受到了 -我知道 |
[12:45] | how near impossibly difficult your job is. | 你的工作有多么艰难 |
[12:48] | You’ll do the right thing. | 但你一定会做出正确的选择的 |
[12:50] | I know you will. | 我相信你 |
[12:52] | Seriously? | 真的假的 |
[12:55] | This Bodhi tree was a gift | 这棵菩提树是将近70年前 |
[12:57] | from your government almost 70 years ago. | 贵国政府馈赠的礼物 |
[13:00] | It’s a symbol of cooperation, Chondita. | 这是两国协作的象征 崇蒂塔 |
[13:02] | The Bodhi tree was also the site | 菩提树也是 |
[13:05] | of Siddhartha’s enlightenment. | 悉达多的彻悟之地 |
[13:09] | Well, you know, I experienced my own moment of revelation | 我也有过顿悟的瞬间 |
[13:12] | when I faced what could befall the world | 就在世界差点被核武器摧毁的 |
[13:14] | should nuclear weapons ever be deployed. | 那千钧一发的时刻 |
[13:17] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[13:18] | A nuclear Pakistan | 拥有核武器的巴基斯坦 |
[13:21] | is an existential threat to India, | 对印度而言是巨大威胁 |
[13:22] | but we can’t let the U.S. tie our hands | 但我们也不能为了水资源 |
[13:24] | over the issue of water. | 就任由美国掌控我们的命运 |
[13:27] | The United States is prepared to fast-track | 美国准备为 |
[13:30] | a U.S.-India free trade agreement. | 一项美印自由贸易协定开通快速通道 |
[13:34] | This is coming from President Dalton? | 这是道尔顿总统的意思吗 |
[13:36] | It is. | 没错 |
[13:37] | And I obviously don’t need to sell you on what a boon | 这个自贸协定会给印度经济带来多大好处 |
[13:40] | to your economy it would be. | 就不用我多言了吧 |
[13:44] | I will take it to the prime minister. | 我会告诉总理的 |
[13:52] | Who is the United States, with its despicable record | 美国有那么多人权和种族主义的不良记录 |
[13:56] | on human rights and racism, to question | 又有什么资格指责印度政府呢 |
[13:59] | the actions of the Indian government | 何况印度政府是受制于 |
[14:01] | besieged by violence | 巴基斯坦的暴力和恐怖主义 |
[14:03] | and terrorism from Pakistan | 以及安插在印度的代理人 |
[14:06] | and its agents inside India? | 才不得已而为之的 |
[14:07] | I assume that you’re referring to the Secretary of State’s | 我想你指的是 针对最近发生的暴力事件 |
[14:10] | evenhanded rebuke of the recent violence. | 国务卿对涉事双方进行的平等指责吧 |
[14:12] | I am, though I wouldn’t call it evenhanded. | 我并不认为她的指责是平等针对双方的 |
[14:15] | But I will be more direct. | 但是我会更直接 |
[14:18] | Does the Hindu majority in India | 在印度占多数派的印度教徒 |
[14:21] | have the right to defend itself or not? | 是否有权利维护自己的利益呢 |
[14:24] | Of course it does. But what you’re characterizing | 当然有权利了 但是你所说的 |
[14:27] | as the Hindu majority defending itself | 印度教徒维护自己的利益 |
[14:30] | is actually textbook terrorism against minorities | 其实是标准的针对少数派的恐怖主义 |
[14:33] | with the Indian government | 印度政府 |
[14:34] | turning the other way. | 明显站在多数派那一边 |
[14:36] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[14:37] | To me, that is the opposite of India defending itself. | 对我而言 这是维护自己利益的反义词 |
[14:40] | And as for the United States’ right | 至于美国为什么要 |
[14:41] | to call India out… | 批评印度 |
[14:45] | A democracy cannot function | 如果不能保护少数群体的权利 |
[14:47] | without safeguarding the rights of minorities | 不受多数群体侵害的话 |
[14:49] | against the majority. | 民主就无法运行 |
[14:50] | – L-Look, you’re not… Listen. – India is facing the same problems | -听我说 -印度面临着 |
[14:53] | – that USA is. – I acknowledge the United States is far from perfect. | -和美国同样的问题 -我承认美国并不完美 |
[14:55] | But one lesson that India can take | 虽然美国也有缺点 |
[14:57] | from America, despite our shortcomings, | 但至少有一点值得印度学习 |
[14:59] | is that we have only approached our-our democratic ideals | 那就是只有当我们努力包容所有声音时 |
[15:04] | when we have striven to include all voices. | 我们才能更接近理想的民主 |
[15:07] | You know, and the ultimate question | 终极的问题在于 |
[15:09] | is whether India or the United States | 不管是印度 美国 |
[15:10] | or any country claiming to be a democracy | 还是任何自称是民主政体的国家 |
[15:13] | is willing to do the hard work of actually being one. | 是不是真的愿意为了民主而努力 |
[15:20] | Okay. I think we’re ready | 好了 现在我们来 |
[15:22] | for some questions from the audience. | 听听观众的问题 |
[15:25] | They have a vegetarian option all set? | 他们准备了素食吗 |
[15:27] | Five appetizers, three entrées. | 五种开胃菜 三种头盘 |
[15:29] | Two types of endive– I asked for three, | 两种菊苣 我让他们准备三种 |
[15:29] | but they’re being hard-asses. | 但他们不听我的 |
[15:31] | Chondita, hi. I am so looking forward to seeing you. | 崇蒂塔 很期待今天晚上见到你 |
[15:31] | I mean, who doesn’t have Belgian endive? | 谁不喜欢比利时菊苣啊 |
[15:34] | Actually, I’m afraid I won’t be able | 恐怕我今天晚上 |
[15:36] | to join you for dinner this evening. | 不能参加你的晚宴了 |
[15:37] | Oh, I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[15:38] | – Is everything okay? – Prime Minister Khatri | -发生什么事了吗 -卡特里总理 |
[15:40] | has some things that she wants to discuss with me, | 想和我讨论一些事情 |
[15:42] | including that we are no longer interested in your nuclear deal. | 包括我们不想加入你们的核协议了 |
[15:45] | Wait, I don’t understand. | 等等 我不明白 |
[15:47] | Ask your husband. | 问问你丈夫吧 |
[15:50] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[15:51] | – Good night, Elizabeth. – What? | -晚安 伊丽莎白 -什么 |
[16:10] | India can’t be pulling out because of Henry. | 印度不会是因为亨利退出核协议的吧 |
[16:12] | It’s the top article | 《印度斯坦每日简报》的头条文章 |
[16:13] | in the Hindustan Daily Bulletin, ma’am. | 就写了这件事 女士 |
[16:15] | – How many people even read that? – 300 million. | -这份报纸的读者有多少人 -3亿人 |
[16:19] | I’m sorry. | 很遗憾 |
[16:20] | It was a big swing, ma’am. | 真是个大逆转 女士 |
[16:21] | Oh, no, no, no. We are still at bat. | 不不不 我们还是占主导地位 |
[16:24] | Wait, huh? | 什么意思 |
[16:26] | Prime Minister Khatri and Minister Samant | 卡特里总理和萨曼特部长 |
[16:29] | – are here a few more days. – Mm-hmm. | 还会在这里呆上几天 |
[16:31] | Meantime, there is that-that summit in Mexico City. | 而且在墨西哥城还有一个峰会 |
[16:34] | Yeah, drug smuggling and security. | 毒品走私与安全峰会 |
[16:35] | Yeah. With, uh, the Pakistani chief of army staff. | 巴基斯坦的陆军总参谋长也会参加 |
[16:39] | – Ibrahim Osmani? – Yes. | -易卜拉欣·奥斯马尼吗 -是的 |
[16:42] | Go talk to him. | 去和他谈谈 |
[16:43] | In Mexico City? | 在墨西哥城吗 |
[16:44] | Well, that’s where… Wait. | 那不是… 等等 |
[16:46] | Why? Do you have Chloe tonight? | 怎么了 克洛伊今晚在家吗 |
[16:47] | Uh, no. I’ll work it out. | 没事 我会想办法的 |
[16:50] | Go see if you can convince him to come to D.C. | 看看能不能说服他来华盛顿 |
[16:52] | and meet with Samant off the record. | 和萨曼特部长进行非正式会面 |
[16:54] | I want Osmani to look Chondita in the eye. | 我要奥斯马尼看着崇蒂塔的眼睛 |
[16:56] | – He’s a straight shooter. – Yeah, and everyone knows | -他是个正直的人 -所有人都知道 |
[16:58] | that the military calls the shots in Pakistan. | 在巴基斯坦 军方掌握决策权 |
[17:01] | It’s a stretch, I know. | 我知道这很难 |
[17:03] | But who knows how many decades it’ll be | 但谁知道我们多少年之后 |
[17:05] | till we get another bite at this, okay? | 才会有一个这样的机会呢 |
[17:06] | Ma’am, you know, an apology from Henry | 女士 如果亨利 |
[17:07] | – to the Indian government would go a long way. – Yeah. | 向印度政府道歉的话会有很大帮助 |
[17:09] | Thank you, Daisy. | 谢谢你 戴西 |
[17:13] | Everything okay? | 还好吗 |
[17:15] | Yeah. Something came up. | 发生了一点事情 |
[17:19] | Oh, there’s, um… | 冰箱里有一点 |
[17:20] | – leftover vegan Mexican something in the… – Yeah. Thank you. | -剩下的墨西哥素食… -谢谢 |
[17:24] | Hey, l-listen. I’m sorry | 听我说 我很抱歉 |
[17:26] | if my comments at the symposium affected things with India. | 如果我在研讨会上的言论影响了印度政府 |
[17:33] | What? | 怎么了 |
[17:37] | They pulled out of the nuclear disarmament talks. | 他们退出了去核谈判 |
[17:41] | – Because of me? – Yes. | -因为我吗 -是的 |
[17:43] | That’s absurd. | 这太荒谬了 |
[17:44] | I’m still trying to salvage it, | 我还在尽力补救 |
[17:46] | but, I mean, are you really that surprised? | 可是你真的有那么惊讶吗 |
[17:49] | It’s an academic conference. | 那只是个学术会议 |
[17:51] | I’m not saying it’s your fault, | 我没有说这是你的错 |
[17:53] | but can you at least give me that my husband | 但你至少得承认 我的丈夫 |
[17:56] | publicly slamming India isn’t exactly helpful? | 公开谴责印度 并没有多大帮助吧 |
[18:00] | I mean, I’m just… | 我只是… |
[18:03] | feeling a little frustrated. | 觉得有点挫败 |
[18:04] | Understandably. | 我能理解 |
[18:09] | Daisy thinks that I should ask you | 戴西觉得我应该让你 |
[18:11] | to apologize to the Indian government. | 向印度政府道歉 |
[18:14] | – Daisy thinks. Well, okay. | -戴西觉得 -好吧 |
[18:16] | – I wouldn’t mind, either. – Look, we both know | -我也这么想 -我们都知道 |
[18:18] | an apology would be false, and even talking about it, | 道歉是错的 我们谈都不该谈这件事情 |
[18:22] | there’s just a whiff of academic censorship. | 感觉像是学术审查 |
[18:25] | Yeah, I get that. | 我懂 |
[18:28] | But you still want me to consider it. | 但你依然希望我考虑这件事情 |
[18:36] | No, I just… | 不 我只是… |
[18:37] | Don’t worry about it. | 算了 |
[18:47] | Secretary McCord wants me | 麦考德国务卿想让我 |
[18:48] | to leave this conference and fly up to Washington | 离开峰会 飞去华盛顿 |
[18:51] | so I can clean up her husband’s mess? | 为她丈夫收拾烂摊子吗 |
[18:53] | It’s true. Dr. McCord’s remarks upset the Indian delegation, | 是的 麦考德博士的言论惹恼了印度 |
[18:55] | but they exposed a likely impediment. | 但是也暴露了一个潜在的阻碍 |
[18:58] | India doesn’t trust that Pakistan is serious | 印度不相信巴基斯坦 |
[19:00] | about cutting off support for militant groups. | 切断对军事团体支持的承诺 |
[19:03] | India doesn’t trust… | 印度不信任我们 |
[19:05] | when India does nothing to stop its own Hindu violence | 然而面对印度教徒对穆斯林的暴力行为 |
[19:08] | against Muslims in India. | 印度方面却没有任何作为 |
[19:10] | Do you think I got these | 你以为我胸前的奖章 |
[19:11] | by groveling to India? | 是靠向印度人卑躬屈膝得来的吗 |
[19:15] | General Osmani, I think you earned them | 奥斯马尼将军 |
[19:16] | by protecting your people. | 我想你是靠保护你的人民得来的 |
[19:17] | And now you have a chance to protect them | 现在你有一个机会 |
[19:19] | from the greatest danger this world has ever known. | 能够保护他们免于世界上最大的危险 |
[19:25] | Chondita, thank you for coming. | 崇蒂塔 谢谢你能来 |
[19:28] | Well, we may have our differences… | 虽然我们有一些分歧 |
[19:31] | but we’re still friends. | 但我们依然是朋友 |
[19:32] | Well, I couldn’t agree more. | 我十分同意 |
[19:34] | Henry sends his regrets. Stuck at work. | 亨利表示十分遗憾 他工作很忙不能来 |
[19:38] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[19:40] | But I did invite someone else. | 但我邀请了另一个人 |
[19:55] | Why do I feel I’ve been left out of the loop? | 为什么我觉得我好像什么都不知道 |
[19:58] | Well, that’s about to change. | 你马上就会知道了 |
[20:02] | How do you two like your tea? | 你们想喝什么样的茶 |
[20:12] | Should have something for | 这周结束之前 |
[20:13] | your team before the end of the week. | 应该就能给你的团队提供一些东西了 |
[20:14] | – All right. Thank you. – We’ll be in touch. | -好的 谢谢你 -保持联系 |
[20:18] | White House statement for your review | 白宫发表声明之前 |
[20:20] | before it goes to press. | 给您审查一下 |
[20:21] | Statement about…? | 关于什么的声明 |
[20:23] | The protests. | 抗议活动 |
[20:25] | Protests large enough | 我只开了30分钟的会 |
[20:26] | to require a statement just in the 30 minutes | 就发生了这么大的抗议活动 |
[20:28] | I’ve been in a meeting? | 大到需要我们发声明 |
[20:29] | The revitalized talks between India and Pakistan | 印度和巴基斯坦重启谈判的消息 |
[20:31] | – somehow leaked. – Now there’s mass mobilization | -泄露了 -现在印度的街头和使馆外 |
[20:34] | in the streets of India and outside the embassy. | 正在聚集大量的抗议人群 |
[20:36] | All right, that looks suitably vague. | 好吧 看起来有点模糊 |
[20:38] | We’ve also been informed | 我们也被告知 |
[20:39] | that the Indian delegates have been forced | 印度代表们被迫 |
[20:41] | – to cut their visit short. – All right. | -缩短他们的访问时间 -好的 |
[20:42] | No one is leaving without a commitment in writing | 在没有书面承诺愿意继续谈判的情况下 |
[20:45] | to continue the talks. | 任何人都不得离开 |
[20:46] | And tell the staff they’ll need all hands on deck | 告诉团队他们需要所有人手 |
[20:49] | to prepare a Memorandum of Understanding. | 来准备一份谅解备忘录 |
[20:52] | Hi. Here is your morning decaf. | 你好 这是您的清晨无咖啡因咖啡 |
[20:54] | I’m very sorry it’s late, the traffic was nuts. | 对不起来晚了 路上特别堵 |
[21:02] | Is he… okay? | 他…没事吧 |
[21:04] | Sure. So… | 当然 所以… |
[21:07] | how’d the interview go? | 面试怎么样 |
[21:11] | What interview? | 什么面试 |
[21:12] | Congresswoman Kane. | 国会议员凯恩 |
[21:13] | I told you, I had a doctor’s appointment. | 我告诉过你了我预约了医生 |
[21:15] | First of all, every doctor’s appointment | 首先 每一个中午的医生预约 |
[21:17] | at the noon hour is a job interview. | 其实都是求职面试 |
[21:19] | Secondly, I’ve been doing triathlons with Lois, | 第二 我这三十年一直在和洛伊丝 |
[21:22] | the security guard at the Rayburn, | 就是那个雷伯恩大厦[国会办公楼]的保安 |
[21:23] | for over 30 years. | 练铁人三项 |
[21:25] | Russell likes to make a big deal | 拉塞尔很惊讶 |
[21:26] | of how nothing gets by him. | 他从来都没发现 |
[21:28] | That’s ’cause nothing gets by me. | 那是因为什么都骗不过我 |
[21:30] | Or Adele, whom I handpicked and trained. | 我亲手挑选和训练的阿黛尔也没得到 |
[21:34] | So? | 所以 |
[21:36] | She offered me the job. | 她给了我一个岗位 |
[21:39] | And I’m considering it. | 我正在考虑 |
[21:41] | I would get to be a legislative correspondent right away, | 我马上就会成为一名立法记者 |
[21:43] | and she made a pretty good case for taking me | 而她给了我一个很好的案子 |
[21:45] | off of coffee runs and… putting me in the action. | 让我远离端茶倒水 开始做实质性工作 |
[21:51] | What do you think? | 你觉得呢 |
[21:53] | Well… | 这个嘛… |
[21:54] | Of course she offered you the job. | 她肯定会给你这份工作 |
[21:56] | You’re a hot ticket. | 你十分抢手 |
[21:58] | You have an inside track to the White House, | 你有一条通往白宫的内线 |
[22:01] | not to mention a direct line to your mother. | 更不用说还可以直接联系到你母亲了 |
[22:04] | This town’ll take connections over anything else, | 这个城市的任何东西都是相互联系的 |
[22:07] | so if you’re going to allow yourself to be poached, | 所以如果你能接受自己被挖走的话 |
[22:12] | hold out for your best offer. | 一定坚持你的最佳报价 |
[22:15] | Okay. Thanks. | 可以 谢谢 |
[22:18] | No problem. | 没关系 |
[22:22] | At 11:15 this morning, | 今天上午11:15 |
[22:24] | POTUS signed Executive Order 16291 | 总统签署了16291号行政命令 |
[22:26] | to create a subsidy program for U.S. companies | 为美国公司建立了补贴计划 |
[22:28] | to expand their footprint in India. | 让他们能扩大在印度的规模 |
[22:30] | This, on top of Congress fast-tracking | 这一点 在国会的促进下 |
[22:33] | an India free trade agreement, | 这个印度自由贸易协定 |
[22:34] | was the final piece of the puzzle, | 就是最后一块拼图 |
[22:36] | and Prime Minister Khatri has agreed to all terms | 而且卡特里总理已经同意了 |
[22:39] | of the India-Pakistan Denuclearization MOU. | 印巴无核化谅解备忘录的所有条款 |
[22:42] | Yeah, that’s what I’m talking about. | 是的 这才是我们想要的 |
[22:43] | Pakistani Prime Minister Wadeyla will be boarding | 巴基斯坦总理瓦迪拉将在 |
[22:45] | his plane later today at 22:00 local time | 今天晚些时候 也就是当地时间晚上十点登机 |
[22:48] | out of Allama Iqbal Airport in Lahore. | 飞机从拉合尔的艾拉玛伊克巴尔机场起飞 |
[22:50] | He’ll arrive at Andrews | 他将在明早8点到达安德鲁斯 |
[22:52] | at 0800 tomorrow and proceed directly to the White House | 并直接前往白宫 |
[22:54] | for the signing ceremony. Congrats, everyone. | 进行签字仪式 恭喜大家 |
[23:00] | All parties have taken enormous risks | 各方在同意这项协议上 |
[23:03] | to get to “Yes” on this. | 都冒着巨大的风险 |
[23:05] | I want to anticipate every possible problem | 我要预见到每一个可能的问题 |
[23:08] | and have solutions locked and loaded. | 并有万全的解决方案 |
[23:10] | No victory laps until this sucker’s signed, all right? | 在签署之前都不算胜利 好吗 |
[23:14] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 国务卿 |
[23:15] | And now, | 现在 |
[23:16] | I get to have lunch with Russell Jackson. Excuse me. | 我得和拉塞尔·杰克逊一起吃午饭 我先走了 |
[23:20] | Look, the way you got this whole thing over the finish line | 你推动整个事情的方法 |
[23:25] | was very presidential, but you wouldn’t have had to go | 很有总统风范 但如果亨利没有在那个论坛上 |
[23:28] | to such extraordinary lengths if Henry hadn’t said | 说那一大篇鬼话 |
[23:31] | whatever-the-hell on that panel. | 你根本不用费这么大周折 |
[23:34] | Well, it wasn’t great timing, | 嗯 时机的确不太好 |
[23:38] | but I didn’t disagree with a word he said. | 但他说的每一句话我都同意 |
[23:42] | You know I respect Henry, | 你知道我尊重亨利 |
[23:45] | but you need him to be | 但你需要让他在公开场合 |
[23:46] | on the same page as you… publicly. | 跟你统一战线 |
[23:53] | I still have a year. | 我还有一年 |
[23:54] | Yeah, well, practice makes perfect. | 是的 熟能生巧 |
[23:56] | Unless you’ve convinced your family that they’re in it too, | 除非你说服家人和你登上同一条船 |
[24:01] | you won’t win. | 不然你赢不了的 |
[24:03] | It’s as simple as that. | 就这么简单 |
[24:06] | You can’t afford to have Henry go rogue. | 你承受不起亨利自作主张 |
[24:20] | Morning. | 早上好 |
[24:21] | Oh, hey. Morning. I’m sorry I didn’t wake you up last night. | 早上好 抱歉 昨晚我没叫醒你 |
[24:24] | I was torturing my staff, | 因为我在折磨我的员工 |
[24:26] | coming up with… | 努力想出… |
[24:29] | contingencies for our contingencies. | 偶发事件中的偶发事件 |
[24:31] | Well, never apologize for not waking me up. | 好吧 不要因为不叫醒我而道歉 |
[24:33] | Yeah. Listen, um, I got to run, so, I’ll talk to you later. | 是啊 我得走了 我们之后再聊 |
[24:38] | Wait, wait. What is it? | 等等 等等 这是怎么一回事 |
[24:39] | Is it because I wasn’t here | 是因为萨曼特部长 |
[24:40] | when Minister Samant came over? | 来的时候我不在吗 |
[24:41] | Because I thought you understood | 因为我觉得你懂的 |
[24:42] | – I wasn’t going to apologize. – No, no, I do. | -我没打算要道歉 -不 不 我知道 |
[24:43] | – I did. I did. It’s just… – I mean, it would have been awkward | -我知道的 我知道的 只是… -我是觉得 |
[24:45] | – if I was to hang around… – Look, I have to go, but… | -如果我要呆在那里很尴尬 -听着 我得走了 但是… |
[24:47] | Henry, if-if I’m gonna enter a political campaign, | 亨利 如果我要参加一场政治运动 |
[24:52] | we need to be on the same page. | 我们需要统一战线 |
[24:55] | You mean I need to be on the same page as you? | 你的意思是我需要跟你统一战线吗 |
[24:58] | – You really think… – Henry… | -你真的认为… -亨利 |
[24:59] | …I should have turned a blind eye | 我应该对全球极端主义 |
[25:00] | to global extremism… Is that what you think I’m doing? | -睁一只眼闭一只眼 -你觉得我是这样的 |
[25:03] | – …all for the sake of an arms deal? – Turning a blind eye? | -就为了武器交易吗 -睁一只眼闭一只眼 |
[25:04] | Oh, for a mere arms deal? | 就为了一个军火交易 |
[25:06] | No, that’s not what I mean. It’s just, look… | 不 那不是我的意思 只是 看… |
[25:08] | I shouldn’t be putting this on you, | 我不应该这么要求你 |
[25:09] | – but… – Do you, do you think | -但是 -你觉得 |
[25:10] | it’s possible that the trauma of the false nuclear attack | 假核攻击的创伤是有可能 |
[25:14] | could be affecting you on this? | 影响你对这件事的态度吗 |
[25:16] | It was only a couple of months ago… | 那是几个月前… |
[25:17] | I don’t have time to be analyzed right now. | 我现在没有时间去分析 |
[25:18] | Henry, I’m… See, now I’m-I’m late. | 亨利 我…看 我现在迟到了 |
[25:21] | I got to… We’ll talk more about it later, okay? | 我必须…我们以后再谈 好吗 |
[25:24] | – It’s gonna be… – Okay. Fine. Yeah. | -这将是…-好 好的 好吧 |
[25:25] | – Okay? – Okay. | -可以吗 -可以 |
[25:27] | Congratulations. | 祝贺 |
[25:31] | You ready? | 准备好了吗 |
[25:32] | Yes, um, but if it’s okay, | 是的 但是如果你不介意的话 |
[25:35] | I just need to… | 我只是想要 |
[25:37] | just need to get one quick thing off my chest. | 只是有些事情想要一吐为快 |
[25:40] | Sure. | 没问题 |
[25:42] | Yesterday when you said | 昨天当你说 |
[25:43] | that everyone was only interested in me | 每个人对我感兴趣的原因 |
[25:45] | because of my connections to Russell and my mom… | 只是因为我和拉塞尔和我妈妈的关系… |
[25:48] | Well, I didn’t say “Only,” but go ahead. | 我没有说”只是” 但是请继续 |
[25:51] | Okay. | 好的 |
[25:52] | But you did say that it was a big part of it. | 但你确实说过这是其中很大一部分原因 |
[25:55] | Um, I just feel like that’s not really fair. | 我只是觉得不太公平 |
[26:00] | I work hard, and I’ve accomplished a lot here. | 我努力工作 我在这里取得了很多成就 |
[26:04] | I’m-I’m sure that-that | 我敢肯定当你努力让自己 |
[26:06] | when you were making your way in D.C., | 在特区立足的过程中 |
[26:08] | you sometimes felt underestimated by people | 你有时觉得被人低估了 |
[26:10] | who didn’t fully appreciate what you had to offer, | 他们没有特别在意你的付出 |
[26:12] | and who maybe didn’t acknowledge | 也可能不承认 |
[26:14] | that you were capable of more, | 你有能力完成更多工作 |
[26:16] | so you can understand why I would just like to be treated | 所以你可以理解为什么我希望能 |
[26:20] | with the respect that… | 得到我觉得是… |
[26:22] | I feel I’ve earned. | 自己挣来的尊重 |
[26:27] | Well, I apologize | 好吧 很抱歉 |
[26:30] | if I made you feel underestimated. | 如果我让你觉得你被低估了 |
[26:33] | It was not my intention. | 我没有这个意思 |
[26:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[26:37] | And I do understand | 我明白 |
[26:39] | that women of your generation didn’t necessarily learn | 你们这一代的女性不一定能 |
[26:41] | to be comfortable with ambition in the same way. | 以跟我们同样的方式接受自己的野心 |
[26:44] | You know, it… and it can look very obnoxious | 你知道 它…有时会看起来很讨厌 |
[26:46] | and overreaching, but… | 和逾越 但是… |
[26:48] | we have to demand more power ourselves, you know? | 我们自己也必须追求更大的力量 你知道吗 |
[26:53] | Otherwise, we just all get stuck serving powerful men. | 否则 我们就会卡在为强大的男人服务的位置 |
[27:01] | I don’t mean to say that that’s what… | 我不是说那就是… |
[27:03] | that’s what all women of your generation have done. | 这就是你们这一代所有女性的所做所为 |
[27:06] | Also didn’t mean to use the word “Stuck.” | 也没打算要用”卡在”这个词 |
[27:09] | It’s… | 这是… |
[27:11] | It’s fine. | 没关系 |
[27:13] | We really have to go. | 我们真的得走了 |
[27:23] | Hey, Mike, I’m already late, | 迈克 我已经迟到了 |
[27:26] | so whatever you can do | 所以只要你能想办法 |
[27:27] | to get me to the West Wing as soon as possible. | 让我尽快到达西厢 |
[27:29] | – That would be great, okay? – Yes, ma’am. | -那就太好了 -是的 长官 |
[27:31] | Welcome, Chondita. | 欢迎光临 崇蒂塔 |
[27:32] | – Mr. President. – Please. | -总统先生 -请 |
[27:35] | Pens… | 在签名仪式上 |
[27:36] | Kind of important for a signing ceremony, | 签字笔还是挺重要的 |
[27:38] | don’t you think? | 不是吗 |
[27:44] | Oh, crap. | 该死 |
[27:53] | What the hell was that? | 什么情况 |
[27:54] | Castle, this is DS. Are you under fire? | 城堡 这里是安保部 遭遇袭击了吗 |
[27:56] | Affirmative. Protect Bluebird. | 是的 保护蓝鸟 |
[27:57] | Copy. Nearest entrance to the PEOC… | 收到 总统紧急行动中心最近的入口是 |
[27:59] | No, no, no, no. I have to… No, no, no. | 不不不 我得去 不不不 |
[28:01] | I need to be there. White House is taking fire. | 我得去那边 白宫那边遭遇袭击了 |
[28:03] | Need to get to the Presidential Emergency Ops Center. | 得去总统紧急作战中心 |
[28:05] | We have to evacuate. | 我们得撤离 |
[28:24] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗 |
[28:25] | This way. | 这边走 |
[28:28] | Right this way. | 从这边走 |
[28:30] | Medics are outside. | 医护人员在外面 |
[28:31] | Evacuate. Everyone evacuate. | 紧急撤离 所有人撤离 |
[28:43] | June? | 琼恩 |
[28:46] | June. | 琼恩 |
[28:49] | Can you get up? | 你能站起来吗 |
[28:55] | June, I’m gonna get help. | 琼恩 我去找人来帮忙 |
[28:57] | I’m gonna go get help, okay? | 我去找人来帮忙 好吗 |
[28:59] | I’ll be back. | 我会回来的 |
[29:01] | – Help! – Ms. McCord. | -救命 -麦考德小姐 |
[29:02] | – There’s someone in there who needs help. – Ms. McCord. | -那边有人需要帮助 -麦考德小姐 |
[29:04] | Come with me. | 跟我走 |
[29:05] | – There’s someone… – No. No, no, no, no. | -那边有人 -不 不不不 |
[29:06] | No, no, no, no! | 不不不 |
[29:07] | I got her. I got her, I got her. | 我来 我来 我带她走 |
[29:08] | Come on, let’s go. | 走吧 我们走 |
[29:10] | June. June, she’s… | 琼恩 琼恩 她 |
[29:15] | Medic! Medic! | 救护员 救护员 |
[29:20] | No. I opted out of continuity of governance, | 不 我选择了暂停 |
[29:23] | but POTUS, VPOTUS are safe, | 不过总统和副总统都安全 |
[29:25] | – and the FBI, ATF… – Russell? | -联调局 烟爆局 -拉塞尔 |
[29:27] | …and the speaker. I’ll call you back. Where is she? | -还有议长 一会给你回电 -她在哪 |
[29:28] | – She’s in surgery. – Well, is she okay? | -她在做手术 -她怎么样 |
[29:31] | Ambulance got here in minutes. | 急救车几分钟前送到的 |
[29:33] | – Did you talk to the doctors? – Some of the best | -你跟医生谈过了吗 -国内顶尖的 |
[29:34] | trauma surgeons in the country are working on her. | 创伤医生在给她做手术 |
[29:35] | But is, is she… is she conscious? | 但是 她 她还有意识吗 |
[29:36] | Does she…? Is she…? | 她 她 |
[29:37] | She lost a lot of blood, Henry. | 亨利 她流了很多血 |
[29:41] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[29:45] | What the hell happened? | 到底发生什么了 |
[29:47] | Intel is sketchy. | 情报尚不充分 |
[29:48] | It looks like someone launched an RPG | 看起来是有人从几个街区外的楼顶 |
[29:49] | from a rooftop a few blocks away. | 发射了一枚火箭推进式榴弹 |
[29:51] | You were asking for an update on Stephanie McCord’s… | 是你问斯蒂芬妮·麦考德的手术进程吗 |
[29:53] | Yeah, this is her father. | 对 这位是她的父亲 |
[29:54] | – Dr. Delgado. – Hello. | -我是德尔加多医生 -你好 |
[29:55] | – Is she out of surgery? – Not yet. | -她的手术结束了吗 -还没 |
[29:57] | We’ve stopped the bleeding, but the surgeon | 我们止住出血了 不过医生发现 |
[29:58] | found a shard of glass wedged against an artery. | 有一块玻璃碎片贴在了主动脉上 |
[30:02] | It’s a delicate procedure. | 这是个非常精密的手术 |
[30:03] | They have to remove the glass without rupturing the artery. | 他们得在不刺破主动脉的前提下取出碎片 |
[30:06] | But she’s going to be okay? | 不过她会没事的对吗 |
[30:08] | She’s in really good hands. | 她会受到妥善照顾的 |
[30:11] | Dr. Delgado, please pick up line two, extension 425. | 德尔加多医生 请接入二线 分机425 |
[30:15] | Dr. Delgado, line two… | 德尔加多医生 二线 |
[30:17] | You’ll let me know | 你有任何消息 |
[30:18] | as soon as you hear something, right? And… | 第一时间告诉我好吗 并且 |
[30:21] | I love you, too. | 我也爱你 |
[30:22] | – I got to go. – Bess. | -我得挂了 -贝丝 |
[30:25] | We’re going to get you to the hospital as soon as we can. | 我们会尽快让你赶去医院的 |
[30:27] | Yes. It’s okay. What’s the latest? | 好 没事的 有什么最新消息 |
[30:29] | FBI’s quick and dirty assessment is a Hindu nationalist cell | 联调局的速判是印度民族主义组织 |
[30:32] | or possibly Pakistani ex-pats | 或者可能是巴基斯坦的侨民 |
[30:34] | upset with the nuclear deal got off a lucky shot. | 对核谈判不满并且侥幸得逞 |
[30:38] | Does the CIA analyst in you buy that theory? | 作为中情局分析员 你接受这种说法吗 |
[30:41] | It’s possible. | 有可能 |
[30:43] | Though I question any group planning, | 不过我怀疑有任何组织能在短短几天内 |
[30:45] | arming up and executing in a couple of days. | 完成计划 组织并执行 |
[30:49] | Mr. President? | 总统先生 |
[30:50] | FBI giving chase to suspected attackers. | 联调局正在追捕袭击嫌疑人 |
[30:58] | Step out of the vehicle with your hands up. | 下车 举起手来 |
[31:01] | Now in Hindi and Urdu. | 请翻译成印度语和乌尔都语 |
[31:03] | Copy that. | 收到 |
[31:26] | I’m sorry that we’ve been fighting. | 我为早上的争吵道歉 |
[31:30] | That’s on me. I shouldn’t have… | 这都怪我 我不该 |
[31:32] | Mm. I’m sorry, too. | 我也很抱歉 |
[31:33] | We’re fine. | 都过去了 |
[31:40] | I heard they caught some guys. | 我听说他们抓到一些人 |
[31:42] | Yeah. | 对 |
[31:44] | Not what anybody thought. | 出乎所有人意料 |
[31:46] | They weren’t Hindu or Pakistani nationalists. | 他们不是印度或者巴基斯坦民族主义者 |
[31:50] | Do you remember that group | 你记得那伙 |
[31:51] | that attacked the refugee center | 在密歇根袭击难民营的 |
[31:53] | – up in Michigan? – Uh, the white…? | -团伙吗 -白人吗 |
[31:55] | – White nationalists. – Yeah. The Aryan Popular… | -白种民族主义者 -对 雅利安人民 |
[31:56] | – Yeah. – …Force. Yeah. | -对 -武装 |
[31:58] | Apparently already aggrieved over the immigration bill, | 显然移民法案已经激怒他们了 |
[32:01] | and the talk of the trade agreement with India just… | 和印度的贸易协定只是 |
[32:06] | last straw. | 压死骆驼的最后一根稻草 |
[32:08] | How the hell did they get an RPG? I… | 他们是怎么拿到的榴弹 我 |
[32:18] | I’m not asking you to be someone you’re not. | 我并不是要求你变成另一个人 |
[32:21] | But we’ll figure it out, right? | 不过我们会解决好的 好吗 |
[32:25] | Why? Are you thinking of not running? | 怎么 你是不想参与竞选了吗 |
[32:27] | Why? Are you thinking that? | 怎么 你是这么想的吗 |
[32:31] | The thought’s crossed my mind. | 闪过这样的念头 |
[32:36] | I can’t think about anything until… | 在她确定没事之前 |
[32:40] | …till we know she’s okay. | 我什么都想不了 |
[32:45] | I know. | 我知道 |
[32:54] | Stephanie is out of surgery and doing well. | 斯蒂芬妮的手术结束了 状态很好 |
[32:56] | – Is she awake? – Is her spine… | -她醒了吗 -她脊柱 |
[32:57] | We removed the glass and were able | 我们取出了玻璃碎片并且 |
[32:59] | to repair the circumflex scapular artery. | 修复了旋肩胛动脉 |
[33:01] | It’s holding nicely. | 没有破损 |
[33:02] | She’s in recovery, | 她在监护室 |
[33:04] | and her prognosis is excellent. | 她的预后良好 |
[33:07] | Thank you so much. | 太感谢了 |
[33:09] | – Thank you. – You’re welcome. You’re welcome. | -谢谢 – 不用谢 不用谢 |
[33:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[33:12] | And so we’ll– Okay. | 我们没事了 |
[33:13] | Okay. | 好了 |
[33:18] | Hey, baby girl. | 宝贝女儿 |
[33:20] | – Hi. Hi, honey. – Hi. | -好啊 宝贝 -好 |
[33:23] | – You okay? – Oh, baby, | -你还好吗 -宝贝 |
[33:24] | – how are you feeling? – I… | -你感觉如何 -我的 |
[33:27] | probably look the way that I feel. | 样子应该和我的感觉一样 |
[33:32] | So, gorgeous then, huh? | 那应该很好 |
[33:33] | You feeling… | 你感觉 |
[33:34] | The doctor said you’re gonna be better than new. | 医生说你会焕然一新 |
[33:36] | They put a GPS chip right in your shoulder. | 他们在你的肩膀放了一个GPS芯片 |
[33:43] | Please-please don’t make me laugh. | 别 别逗我笑 |
[33:47] | Let’s– Can we get you something? | 要给你拿点什么东西吗 |
[33:48] | How ’bout some pillows? Okay? Let me… | 给你拿点枕头吧 好吗 我去 |
[33:51] | You know Mom and pillows. | 你知道妈妈和枕头 |
[33:52] | – Here we go. – No. | -就要来了 -不用 |
[33:53] | There’s gonna be a lot of ’em. | 会有很多的枕头 |
[33:55] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[33:58] | Here we go. | 枕头来了 |
[33:59] | Uh, here, Henry. Fluff that one. | 给 亨利 弄蓬松一点 |
[34:03] | How’s June? | 琼恩怎么样了 |
[34:30] | Oscar, Russell Jackson. | 奥斯卡 我是拉塞尔·杰克逊 |
[34:33] | I’m afraid the news is not good. | 抱歉不是好消息 |
[34:38] | June passed away during surgery. | 琼恩在手术中去世了 |
[34:40] | I’m so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[34:47] | My, uh… | 我的 |
[34:48] | my office can take care of your travel or… | 我的办公室会帮你订机票过来或者 |
[34:52] | we can make other arrangements. | 我们可以做其他的安排 |
[34:53] | Just let me know. | 请告诉我 |
[34:55] | Whatever I can do. | 有任何我能做的 |
[35:01] | I loved her, too. | 我也爱她 |
[35:06] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[35:08] | Yeah. | 好的 |
[35:22] | Are they all here? | 他们都到了吗 |
[35:23] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 国务卿 |
[35:24] | I let them wait in your office. | 我让他们在你的办公室等候 |
[35:26] | I hope you don’t mind. | 希望你不介意 |
[35:27] | Was theirs, too. | 希望他们也不介意 |
[35:31] | I hate all of this… | 我讨厌这些 |
[35:32] | Hi. I’m so sorry to keep you waiting. | 大家好 抱歉让你们久等了 |
[35:34] | Thank you for coming. | 感谢你们能来 |
[35:37] | Hi. How’s Stevie? | 斯蒂芬怎么样了 |
[35:37] | 马德琳·奥尔布赖特 第64任美国国务卿 任职于1997年1月至2001年1月 | |
[35:38] | – Well, she’s better, so… – Oh, good. Good. | -她好多了 -太好了 |
[35:40] | 希拉里·克林顿 第67任美国国务卿 任职于2009年1月至2013年2月 | |
[35:40] | – Is she home yet? – No, not yet. | -她回家了吗 -还没有 |
[35:42] | Oh. Thank you, Secretary Clinton. | 谢谢 克林顿国务卿 |
[35:44] | Our prayers are all with you. | 我们都为你们祈祷 |
[35:44] | 科林·鲍威尔 第65任美国国务卿 任职于2001年1月至2005年1月 | |
[35:45] | Thank you. I really appreciate that. | 谢谢你 我真的很感激 |
[35:48] | Listen, I-I won’t take much of your time. | 我不会占用你们太多时间的 |
[35:50] | I know that you all have other meetings and… | 我知道你们都有其他的会议要参加… |
[35:53] | – places to be. – Elizabeth, | -有别的地方要去 -伊丽莎白 |
[35:54] | there is no more important meeting for any of us | 对我们来说 没有比这 |
[35:56] | than this one right now. | 更重要的会议了 |
[35:57] | Well, I-I do appreciate that. | 我很感激 |
[35:59] | Come on. Please sit. – The kind of time | 请坐 -这种时候 |
[36:01] | when people need to… | 人们需要… |
[36:02] | rally around. | 聚集在一起 |
[36:03] | Well… | 好吧 |
[36:05] | It’s so good of you to consult with your predecessors. | 你愿意和你的前任们商量真是太好了 |
[36:09] | We did it all the time, so thanks for asking us. | 我们一直都是这么做的 谢谢你邀请我们 |
[36:12] | Well, again, uh, | 一如既往 |
[36:13] | the president has asked me to give a speech | 总统要我在签约仪式后 |
[36:17] | after the signing ceremony | 发表关于 |
[36:19] | to address the attack on the white house. | 白宫受袭的演讲 |
[36:23] | You bear a heavy burden, Elizabeth. | 伊丽莎白 你的担子很重 |
[36:25] | The whole world will be watching you. | 全世界都会注视着你 |
[36:28] | No pressure. | 别紧张 |
[36:29] | Thanks for that reminder. | 谢谢提醒 |
[36:31] | Right. No pressure. | 没错 不紧张 |
[36:33] | Well, | 那么 |
[36:34] | what do you say in the wake of a nightmare like this? | 在这样的噩梦之后 你们会说些什么 |
[36:39] | You need to reassure the people | 你需要安抚人们 |
[36:40] | that they are safe, because we are resolute | 让他们知道自己是安全的 因为我们 |
[36:42] | in our efforts to defeat this enemy. | 打败敌人的态度坚决 |
[36:44] | Well, that’s a start. | 这只是个开头 |
[36:45] | But I think we also have to remember | 但我认为我们也必须记住 |
[36:47] | that those who attacked us are resolute, too. | 那些攻击我们的人也很坚决 |
[36:51] | And you will have to reassure people | 你必须让人们 |
[36:53] | about their safety. | 觉得自己是安全的 |
[36:55] | Um, you can remind them that we do have | 你可以提醒他们我们有 |
[36:57] | the world’s greatest military to protect and defend them. | 世界上最强大的军队来保护他们 |
[37:01] | But, you know, as great as our military power is, | 但是 尽管我们的军事力量强大 |
[37:04] | that is not where our real strength lies. | 这不是我们真正的力量所在 |
[37:06] | Absolutely. | 没错 |
[37:07] | Our strength lies in our core democratic values. | 我们的力量来自我们的核心民主价值观 |
[37:10] | In our Constitution. | 来自我们的宪法 |
[37:12] | Elizabeth, I was a little girl in London | 伊丽莎白 我小时候住在伦敦 |
[37:14] | during World War II when the Germans were bombing. | 第二次世界大战期间 遭到了德国人的轰炸 |
[37:17] | I learned later that | 后来我才知道 |
[37:18] | three of my grandparents were murdered by the Nazis | 我的祖辈中有三个被纳粹 |
[37:22] | in concentration camps. | 在集中营杀害 |
[37:24] | And so the threat of nationalism is not just a theory. | 因此 民族主义的威胁不是虚构的 |
[37:27] | I went through it once, | 我经历过一次 |
[37:29] | and I don’t intend to go through it again. | 我不想再经历一次 |
[37:31] | The nationalistic threat is really expanding, | 民族主义的威胁正在扩大 |
[37:34] | and more and more countries are being caught in this trap. | 越来越多的国家陷入了这个陷阱 |
[37:38] | It’s contagious. | 它是会传染的 |
[37:40] | It splits us apart. It makes it more difficult | 它让我们不再团结 让处理这个问题 |
[37:42] | to deal with the issue, | 更加困难 |
[37:43] | and it becomes even more contagious. | 而它自己却越来越流行 |
[37:45] | They attack what has made | 美国之所以伟大 |
[37:47] | America great, uh– and still does– | 是因为我们曾经并仍然具有多样性 |
[37:49] | and that is our diversity. | 而他们就攻击这一点 |
[37:51] | I mean, look at, look at us. | 看看 我们就是这样 |
[37:52] | The attackers wanted to destroy that. | 攻击者想要摧毁它 |
[37:54] | To divide us. | 分裂我们 |
[37:56] | So, you know, Elizabeth, | 伊丽莎白 |
[37:57] | I think what we’re all saying is talk about what unites us. | 我想我们的建议是 讲一讲是什么将我们团结在一起 |
[38:01] | Even at this moment of peril, | 即使在这个危险的时刻 |
[38:04] | remind Americans of our nation’s | 还是要美国人想起美国 |
[38:06] | original motto, | 建国格言 |
[38:07] | something that I think about a lot | 我经常想起这个格言 |
[38:09] | and which seems more important today than ever: | 而这在今天比以往任何时候都更为重要 |
[38:12] | e pluribus unum. | 合众为一[拉丁语] |
[38:13] | Out of many, one. | 合众为一 |
[38:15] | Hillary, you’re so right. | 希拉里 你说得太对了 |
[38:16] | Because we all, unified, | 因为我们团结一致 |
[38:19] | depend on each other. | 相互依赖 |
[38:21] | America. Americans. | 美国 美国人 |
[38:22] | All Americans. | 所有的美国人 |
[38:23] | All Americans. | 所有的美国人 |
[38:26] | All of us. | 我们所有人 |
[38:34] | Secretary of State Elizabeth McCord, | 国务卿伊丽莎白·麦考德 |
[38:37] | who worked diligently to bring us all here today, | 因为她的努力 才有了我们今天的成就 |
[38:40] | is a master of keeping the biggest picture in mind | 她任何时候都能 |
[38:43] | at all times. | 着眼大局 |
[38:45] | I rely on her for that. | 在这一点上我信赖她 |
[38:47] | And now I have asked her to say a few words | 现在我请她就此 |
[38:49] | along those lines. | 讲几句话 |
[38:51] | Madam Secretary. | 国务卿女士 |
[38:54] | Thank you, Mr. President. | 谢谢您 总统先生 |
[38:55] | And thank you, Prime Minister | 卡特里总理 |
[38:57] | Khatri and Prime Minister Wadeyla. | 瓦德拉总理 谢谢你们 |
[38:59] | Your courage and determination | 你们的勇气和决心 |
[39:01] | have made humankind safer | 使我们免受 |
[39:03] | from the second greatest threat it faces. | 人类第二大威胁的伤害 |
[39:07] | What is an even greater threat than nuclear weapons? | 还有什么威胁比核武器更大呢 |
[39:12] | That which makes the use of them possible. | 这个威胁正是我们使用核武器的原因 |
[39:16] | Hate. | 仇恨 |
[39:17] | Specifically, the blind hatred | 详细地说 就是一个群体或国家 |
[39:20] | one group or nation can have for another. | 对另一个群体或国家盲目的仇恨 |
[39:24] | And that is why I am convinced | 这就是为什么我相信民族主义 |
[39:26] | that nationalism is the existential threat of our time. | 是我们这个时代实实在在的威胁 |
[39:30] | I want to be clear. | 我想解释一下 |
[39:32] | Nationalism is not the same as patriotism. | 民族主义不同于爱国主义 |
[39:36] | It’s a perversion of patriotism. | 是对爱国主义的曲解 |
[39:39] | Nationalism, the belief system held by those | 民族主义 这些攻击者的信仰体系 |
[39:42] | who attacked us, promotes the idea that inclusion | 宣扬包容和多样 |
[39:45] | and diversity represent weakness, | 代表着软弱 |
[39:48] | that the only way to succeed is to give | 成功的唯一方法就是 |
[39:50] | blind allegiance to the supremacy | 盲目地相信 |
[39:52] | of one race over all others. | 一个民族胜过所有其他民族 |
[39:56] | Nothing could be less American. | 这是与美国精神背道而驰的 |
[39:59] | Patriotism, on the other hand, | 而爱国主义 |
[40:00] | is about building each other up | 则是建立人与人的关系 |
[40:03] | and embracing our diversity | 接受我们的多样性 |
[40:05] | as the source of our nation’s strength. | 将其作为我们国家力量的源泉 |
[40:08] | “We the People” means all the people. | “人民”指的是全体人民 |
[40:12] | America’s heroes didn’t die for race or region. | 美国的英雄们不是为了一个种族或地区而捐躯 |
[40:16] | They died for the ideals enshrined in our Constitution. | 他们是为我们宪法中所载的理想而献身 |
[40:20] | Above all, freedom from tyranny, | 最重要的是 摆脱暴政 |
[40:24] | which requires our unwavering support of a free press, | 这需要我们坚定地支持新闻自由 |
[40:28] | freedom of religion– all religions– | 宗教自由 所有宗教 |
[40:30] | the right to vote, and making sure | 投票的权利 并确保 |
[40:32] | nothing infringes on any of those rights, | 没有任何东西能够侵犯 |
[40:37] | which belong to us all. | 这些属于我们所有人的权利 |
[40:39] | Look where isolationism has gotten us in the past. | 看看过去的孤立主义给我们带来了什么 |
[40:43] | Two world wars. | 两次世界大战 |
[40:44] | 70 million dead. | 七千万人死亡 |
[40:47] | Never again can we go back to those dark times | 我们再也不能回到那个 |
[40:51] | when fear and hatred, | 恐惧和仇恨 |
[40:54] | like a contagion, | 像传染病一样 |
[40:55] | infected the world. | 感染了整个世界的黑暗时代了 |
[40:59] | That, as much as ending the threat of nuclear war, | 消灭民族主义 和结束核战争威胁一样 |
[41:02] | is what today is about. | 是当今的主题 |
[41:05] | And it’s why we must | 这就是为什么 |
[41:06] | never lose sight of our common humanity, | 我们永远不能忽视我们共同的人性 |
[41:08] | our common values, | 我们共同的价值观 |
[41:11] | and our common decency. | 还有我们共同的尊严 |
[41:14] | I was reminded recently of our nation’s founding motto, | 我最近想起了我们国家的建国格言 |
[41:17] | e pluribus unum. | 合众为一 |
[41:19] | Out of many, one. | 合众为一 |
[41:22] | 13 disparate colonies | 十三个不同的殖民地 |
[41:24] | became one country, one people. | 成为一个国家 一个民族 |
[41:26] | And, today, we call on all Americans | 今天 我们呼吁所有美国人 |
[41:29] | and people everywhere | 世界各地的人们 |
[41:31] | to reject the scourge of nationalism. | 摒弃民族主义的祸害 |
[41:34] | Because governments can’t legislate tolerance | 因为政府不能通过立法 |
[41:37] | or eradicate hate. | 来容忍或消除仇恨 |
[41:39] | That’s why each one of us has to find the beauty | 所以我们每个人都要在我们的差异中 |
[41:42] | in our differences instead of the fear. | 找到美好而不是恐惧 |
[41:46] | Listen instead of reacting. | 倾听而不是对抗 |
[41:49] | Reach out instead of recoiling. | 接纳而不是退缩 |
[41:53] | It’s up to us. | 取决于我们 |
[41:55] | All of us. | 我们所有人 |
[41:57] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[42:05] | No one could have said that better. | 讲得太好了 |
[42:08] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢您 总统先生 |