时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | 菲律宾 1945年5月20日 | |
[00:04] | Go! Go! Go! | 跳 跳 跳 |
[00:06] | Go! Go! Go! Go! | 跳 跳 跳 跳 |
[00:08] | Back up! Back up! Go! Go! | 后退 后退 跳 跳 |
[00:10] | I.A.S. holding steady at 190 knots. | 指示空速在350公里/小时保持稳定 |
[00:12] | Altitude 8,000 feet. | 高度约2400米 |
[00:15] | We’re taking heavy artillery fire. | 我们遭遇强大敌火射击 |
[00:17] | Ground support’s targeting enemy batteries. | 地面配合部队正在瞄准敌人炮兵阵地 |
[00:20] | Maintain compass heading, Captain. | 保持罗盘航向 上尉 |
[00:23] | Roger that. Paley out. | 收到 佩利结束通话 |
[00:27] | All right. Pull them up closer | 好的 往上拔 要离胡萝卜近一点 |
[00:29] | to the carrots, Gloria. | 格洛莉亚 |
[00:31] | – Oops. – Yeah. Like that. | -哎呀 -对 就像这样 |
[00:33] | 苏福尔斯 南达科他州 | |
[00:33] | Oh, I can’t get them full… Yes, Mommy. | 我没办法全都…好了 妈妈 |
[00:37] | Got it. | 出来了 |
[00:42] | Found a worm. | 发现了一条虫子 |
[00:51] | Susan Paley? | 苏姗·佩利吗 |
[00:53] | – Yes? – Good morning. | -有什么事 -早上好 |
[00:55] | Hello. | 你好 |
[00:56] | I’m Major Garrett. This is Chaplain Licitra. | 我是加雷特少校 这位是利奇特拉牧师 |
[00:59] | Yes? | 什么事 |
[01:00] | We have a letter from the Secretary of War. | 我们有封战争部长的信 |
[01:25] | 费城 现在 | |
[01:26] | I’m coming. Hold your horses. | 来了 等一下 |
[01:30] | Hello. | 喂 |
[01:33] | Yes? This is Gloria Paley. | 是 我是格洛莉亚·佩利 |
[01:45] | Ma’am? Ma’am? | 女士 女士 |
[01:50] | Five days until midterms. | 离中期选举还有五天 |
[01:52] | That’s 120 hours, 7,200 minutes, and counting. | 整整一百二十小时 七千两百分钟 |
[01:55] | Look at you, with the math. | 看看你 还算起算术了 |
[01:56] | I’m saying we’re up against it. | 我是说我们在跟时间赛跑啊 |
[01:58] | If the President’s bloc doesn’t take the House, | 如果总统的阵营不能拿下众议院 |
[02:00] | you know what happens to our legislative agenda? | 你知道这对我们立法计划意味着什么 |
[02:02] | So how do I figure into this doomsday scenario? | 那我在这世界末日剧本里扮演什么角色呢 |
[02:05] | Ever heard of the David Paley Foundation? | 你听说过戴维·佩利基金会吗 |
[02:09] | Yeah. Big advocates for P.O.W.’s, right? | 听说过 特别支持战俘的 对吧 |
[02:12] | Yeah. And M.I.A.’s. | 对 还有在战斗中失踪的 |
[02:13] | The foundation head, Gloria Paley, | 基金会的负责人 格洛莉亚·佩利 |
[02:16] | held a presser in front of the Capitol yesterday afternoon. | 昨天下午在国会山前召开了一个记者会 |
[02:19] | – All cued up. – Thanks, Adele. | -可以播放了 -谢谢你 阿黛尔 |
[02:21] | – You bet. Madam Secretary. – Good morning. | -没事 国务卿女士 -早上好 |
[02:23] | 73 years ago, a plane my father, Captain David Paley, | 七十三年前 我父亲 戴维·佩利上尉 |
[02:26] | was piloting went down in the Philippines. | 驾驶的一架飞机在菲律宾坠毁了 |
[02:29] | 31 service members were presumed dead. | 机上三十一名军人被宣布阵亡 |
[02:33] | Three weeks ago, I received word that the remains | 三周前 我接到消息 |
[02:35] | of those brave Americans have finally been discovered. | 这些美国勇士们的遗骸终于被发现了 |
[02:41] | Since that hopeful day, | 从那天开始 |
[02:43] | the families of these patriots have waited anxiously | 这些爱国者的家人就在热切地 |
[02:47] | for their return. | 期盼着他们的归来 |
[02:48] | But our entreaties have met with silence | 但是我们的期盼得到的只是 |
[02:52] | from the Dalton administration. | 道尔顿政府的沉默 |
[02:54] | These men sacrificed everything for their country. | 这些人为了国家牺牲了一切 |
[02:58] | The government must bring them home… | 政府必须要把他们带回家 |
[03:03] | …right now! | 马上 |
[03:07] | Right now! Right now! Right now! | 马上 马上 马上 |
[03:10] | Right now. | 马上 |
[03:11] | Three million hits on YouTube in one day. | 视频网站上一天的点击量就有三百万次 |
[03:15] | Footage is already being cut into attack ads | 视频已经被剪成广告 |
[03:17] | against Dalton’s allies in swing districts. | 在摇摆区攻击道尔顿的盟友们 |
[03:19] | Getting those remains here | 不管公众反响如何 |
[03:20] | should be an administration priority | 把他们的遗体运回来都应该是 |
[03:22] | regardless of optics. | 我们工作的当务之急啊 |
[03:24] | Which is where you come in. | 这就是为什么我们需要你 |
[03:26] | Except repatriation falls squarely in DoD’s bailiwick. | 不过遗体遣返刚好是国防部的职责 |
[03:31] | Fell. Gordon stalled out. | 曾经是 戈登拖得太久了 |
[03:33] | POTUS has asked for your intervention. | 总统已经指派你来负责 |
[03:35] | He feels your diplomatic savoir faire might resolve this. | 他觉得你的外交才华应该可以解决这个问题 |
[03:39] | My relationship with Andrada is… | 我和安德拉达的关系… |
[03:42] | a little fraught. | 有点紧张 |
[03:43] | Courtesy of your pugilistic skill. | 拜您的拳击技术所赐 |
[03:46] | Punching him for grabbing you. | 因为他摸你 你就赏他老拳 |
[03:49] | That’s a muscular foreign policy. | 这可真是充满力量的外交政策 |
[03:51] | That’s your wallpaper? | 这是你电脑的壁纸 |
[03:53] | Yeah. I tried to have it rendered in 3-D. | 是啊 我还试着想把它弄成3D的呢 |
[03:55] | I’m not amused. | 我一点不觉得好笑 |
[03:56] | Well, neither was Andrada. | 安德拉达也不觉得 |
[03:59] | But fisticuffs notwithstanding, | 不过即使你们有前嫌 |
[04:02] | the president believes you’re the one | 总统还是坚信只有你才能 |
[04:03] | to get these soldiers home, and I agree. | 把这些军人们带回家 我也完全同意 |
[04:06] | Especially since I assured him | 我还特别向他保证 |
[04:07] | you’re not gonna go full Ronda Rousey this time. | 你这次不会再扮演容妲·罗西 |
[04:11] | Which means you will handle this at arm’s length. | 就是说你要保持安全距离 |
[04:15] | But you will handle it. | 还要把这事搞定 |
[04:18] | How did Gordon take it when he learned that you were | 戈登知道你把这件事转给国务院来办 |
[04:21] | – turning the matter over to State? – You’ll have to tell me. | -他是什么反应 -得由你来告诉我 |
[04:26] | Sure, Elizabeth, you go get our war dead back. | 当然可以 伊丽莎白 你把我们的牺牲的 |
[04:27] | And then I’ll go to Oslo | 战士弄回来 我呢 去奥斯陆 |
[04:29] | and negotiate that treaty on global warming. | 谈判那个全球变暖的协议 |
[04:30] | Gordon, this isn’t a referendum on your effectiveness. | 戈登 这不是对你工作效率的否定 |
[04:33] | No. It’s a referendum on my ineffectiveness. | 不 这是对我工作效率低的肯定 |
[04:36] | The President simply believes | 总统只是相信由国务院来主导的话 |
[04:37] | State taking the lead on this might expedite things. | 能加速事情的进程 |
[04:41] | I haven’t been sitting on my hands. | 我并不是什么都没做啊 |
[04:43] | Those remains would not even have been found | 如果不是采用了最新的红外线技术 |
[04:45] | were it not for new infrared technology | 扫描雨林顶部 |
[04:47] | that we used to scan the jungle canopy, | 这些遗体都不会被发现 |
[04:49] | technology I lobbied for. | 是我争取到的技术 |
[04:53] | My dad died at Khe Sanh. | 我爸爸牺牲在了溪山 |
[04:57] | This issue means a lot to me. | 这个事情对我非常重要 |
[05:01] | So I can tell the President | 那么我可以跟总统说 |
[05:03] | that I have the full cooperation of DoD? | 我有国防部的全力配合了 |
[05:09] | Postmaster general can run point on this. | 只要能让我们的人回家 |
[05:14] | Long as it gets our people home. | 邮政部长领头都行 |
[05:20] | I share Secretary Becker’s frustration. | 我能体会贝克尔部长的不满 |
[05:22] | I’ve done everything but storm Malaca?ang Palace. | 我尽了全力 就差冲进马拉坎南宫了 |
[05:26] | I’m gonna need you to take me through it, Martin. | 我需要你给我捋一遍 马丁 |
[05:28] | Andrada’s staff won’t engage me on this issue. | 安德拉达的幕僚在这件事上根本不理会我 |
[05:31] | They claim it’s beyond the purview of an acting ambassador. | 他们声称这不在代理大使的职责范围 |
[05:34] | That doesn’t make sense. | 这根本说不通 |
[05:35] | They know you have plenary authority | 他们知道你可以全权代表 |
[05:36] | to speak on behalf of the administration. | 本届政府 |
[05:37] | A fact I’ve repeatedly | 我反复提醒过 |
[05:39] | reminded them of. | 他们这一点 |
[05:40] | But they insist that our failure | 可是他们坚持说 |
[05:42] | to appoint a full-time ambassador | 我们不能任命一位全权大使 |
[05:44] | is a slap in the face. | 是在打他们的脸 |
[05:46] | But his office did send me this. | 但是他的办公室给我发来了这个 |
[05:49] | A sampaguita. The Philippine national flower. | 双瓣茉莉 菲律宾的国花 |
[05:54] | Thanks, Martin. | 马丁 谢谢 |
[05:55] | We’ll take it from here. | 我们从这里接手吧 |
[05:57] | Thank you, Madam Secretary. | 谢谢 国务卿女士 |
[05:59] | I’m smelling pretext. | 我感觉是借口 |
[06:01] | Andrada’s flexing. | 安德拉达在借机示强呢 |
[06:02] | Using the remains to remind us | 用遗体来提醒我们 |
[06:04] | that the Philippines is our partner, | 菲律宾是我们的伙伴 |
[06:07] | not our subordinate. | 不是附属 |
[06:09] | And the absence of a full-time ambassador | 没有一位全权大使 |
[06:11] | has given him an excuse to squawk about respect. | 给了他一个借口嚷嚷着要求尊重 |
[06:14] | His administration wants respect? | 他的政府要求尊重 |
[06:16] | Let’s see how they feel about dealing with me. | 让他们体验一下和我打交道的感觉 |
[06:19] | I’ll get Ambassador Carpio in here. | 我来连线卡皮奥大使 |
[06:27] | Yes, Mrs. Lee. Candidate Pavano feels | 是的 李太太 候选人帕瓦诺认为 |
[06:30] | that elder abuse is an overlooked issue. | 虐待老人一直是一个被忽视的问题 |
[06:32] | He will make it a part of the national conversation. | 他会把这个问题变成全国性的话题之一 |
[06:34] | All right, everybody, look alive. | 好吧 各位 注意 |
[06:35] | – Eyes up. – Thank you for your vote. | -抬起头来看看 -谢谢您的投票 |
[06:36] | – Let’s focus. – Hello, hello. | -注意这里 -大家好 |
[06:39] | Can I have everyone’s attention just for a second, please? | 我能否打扰大家一下 谢谢 |
[06:42] | I just want to thank you all for your hard work. | 只是想感谢你们努力工作 |
[06:44] | There is no campaign without you, because change | 没有你们就没有选举 因为只有 |
[06:47] | is a collective endeavor. | 通过大家的共同努力 才有现在的改变 |
[06:49] | Every single person matters. Yeah? | 每一个人都很重要 是吗 |
[06:52] | All right. | 好 |
[06:53] | Now, the next few days will be decisive. | 接下来的几天将是决定性的 |
[06:56] | Okay, we’ll need a social media onslaught. | 我们需要在社交媒体上猛烈抨击对手 |
[06:59] | Door-to-door for every undecided. | 挨家挨户地说服还未做决定的选民 |
[07:00] | And keep working those call lists | 继续给呼叫列表上的选民打电话 |
[07:03] | till the polls close. | 直到民意调查结束 |
[07:04] | All right, let’s make a better world together. | 我们一起让世界变得更美好吧 |
[07:09] | All right. | 讲完了 |
[07:12] | Respectfully, | 卡皮奥大使 |
[07:12] | Ambassador Carpio, 15,000 Americans died | 恕我直言 有一万五千个 |
[07:15] | defending the Philippines against the Imperial Army. | 美军士兵在援菲抗日的战争中丧生 |
[07:18] | So expediting those remains doesn’t begin | 就算加速返还这些遗体也无法 |
[07:22] | to cover the debt your country owes. | 弥补贵国对他们的亏欠 |
[07:23] | – Madam Secretary… – The only thing that President Andrada has done | -国务卿女士 -而发现那些遗体之后 |
[07:26] | since those bodies were found is send flowers. | 安德拉达总统做的仅仅只是献花而已 |
[07:29] | Sampaguita, which, as you know, | 双瓣茉莉 你知道这种花的花语是 |
[07:31] | means, “I promise you.” | “我向你承诺” |
[07:33] | So, what… | 那么你们认为… |
[07:36] | what promise have we broken that makes you think | 我们没有信守哪些承诺以至于你们要 |
[07:39] | you can hold our war dead for ransom? | 利用我们战死英雄的遗体来索要赔偿 |
[07:43] | $300 million in advanced weaponry, | 我们要三亿美元来购买先进的武器装备 |
[07:46] | which we need to fight | 用于平息 |
[07:46] | the Mindanao Freedom Brigade insurgency. | 棉兰老岛自由旅的叛乱 |
[07:48] | Islamic Fundamentalists. | 伊斯兰原教旨主义者 |
[07:50] | We share your interest in containing them. | 扼制他们符合我们的共同利益 |
[07:52] | Which is why we’ve been | 这就是我们一直极力推行 |
[07:53] | pushing H.R. 8365. | 众议院8365法案的原因 |
[07:54] | Hard. | 极力推行 |
[07:55] | But appropriations | 但是只有国会 |
[07:56] | are the exclusive purview of Congress. | 才有权决定拨款 |
[07:59] | I understand, Madam Secretary. | 我明白 国务卿女士 |
[08:03] | Then instead of using our dead patriots | 与其利用我们死去的爱国者 |
[08:05] | to shake down the president, | 来敲诈总统 |
[08:07] | why aren’t you mobilizing your army of lobbyists? | 还不如动员起你们的说客大军 |
[08:12] | Because President Andrada | 因为安德拉达总统 |
[08:15] | doesn’t want to make a public stink | 不想因为需要美国援助 |
[08:17] | about needing U.S. Aid. | 而让民众失望 |
[08:20] | Makes him look weak. | 这会让民众觉得他软弱无能 |
[08:24] | You want those bodies, get us that aid. | 你要想拿回遗体 就给我们援助 |
[08:26] | Well, unfortunately, it’s not my purview | 不幸的是 我无权告诉国会 |
[08:29] | to tell Congress what to do | 该做什么 |
[08:31] | or when to do it. | 以及何时做 |
[08:32] | Your midterms are coming, right? | 你们的中期选举就要开始了 是吧 |
[08:35] | What’s that Yankee expression? | 老话说得好 |
[08:37] | “Where there’s a will, there’s a way.” | “有志者事竟成” |
[08:45] | Holy hell. Stuffed French toast | 靠 夹心法式吐司又回到 |
[08:47] | – is back on the menu. – I don’t know what you see in that. It’s… | -菜单上了 -我不知道你看到了什么 |
[08:49] | Peanut butter. Nutella. Cream cheese. | 花生黄油 巧克力酱 奶油干酪 |
[08:52] | – I see God. – I see an amateur. | -我的神啊 -这菜单真不专业 |
[08:54] | Oh, I’m getting the Pynchon burger. | 我要品钦汉堡 |
[08:55] | Triple cheese, bacon, avocado. | 三倍芝士 培根 鳄梨 |
[08:57] | Juice it with some onion rings and jalapeños. | 再加上洋葱圈和墨西哥胡椒 |
[09:00] | Hey, Mitzi, think we’re ready to order. | 米茨 我们准备好点单了 |
[09:03] | I’m afraid I can’t serve you guys today. | 我们今天恐怕不能为你们提供服务 |
[09:05] | Yeah, my wife hates this tie, too. | 好吧 我妻子也讨厌这条领带 |
[09:06] | Dad. Oh, my God. | 爸爸 不是吧 |
[09:08] | I’m not kidding. | 我不是在开玩笑 |
[09:10] | Uh, what Mitzi’s trying to say is, uh, | 米茨的意思是 |
[09:13] | your family’s not welcome here anymore. | 这里不再欢迎你们一家的到来 |
[09:18] | Trevor, what’s going on? | 特雷弗 这是怎么回事 |
[09:19] | As a veteran, I’d expect the Dalton administration | 作为一个退伍军人 我希望道尔顿政府 |
[09:21] | to give a damn about their war dead. | 能关注一下战死的英雄 |
[09:23] | But it doesn’t. And your wife is complicit in that. | 但政府没有 而且你妻子也是其中之一 |
[09:26] | My wife? | 我妻子 |
[09:27] | Yeah, that’s right. | 对 没错 |
[09:29] | Trevor, we’ve been coming here for years. | 特雷弗 我们这几年一直在光顾这里 |
[09:31] | I’m aware of that. | 我知道 |
[09:32] | You can’t be serious. | 你不是认真的吧 |
[09:34] | – Dead serious. – My dad, | -非常认真 -我爸爸 |
[09:36] | he’s a veteran, too. | 他也是一个退伍军人 |
[09:38] | – He’s… – He’s willing to take our business elsewhere. | -他 -他不想做我们生意 |
[09:40] | – Come on, let’s go. – What? | -别这样 我们走 -什么 |
[09:41] | – Let’s go, Stevie. Come on. – Dad… | -走吧 斯蒂芬 -爸爸 |
[09:56] | Ma’am. | 女士 |
[09:59] | Ms. Paley. | 佩利女士 |
[10:01] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢您能过来 |
[10:03] | I’m here out of respect for you, Madam Secretary. | 我过来是出于对您的尊重 国务卿女士 |
[10:06] | Well, that respect is shared. | 我也同样尊重您 |
[10:09] | Please. What you and your organization do | 请坐 您和您的组织为了让舆论关注 |
[10:14] | to keep a spotlight | 那些为国家作出巨大牺牲的人 |
[10:16] | on those who sacrificed so much for our country… | 做了很多工作 |
[10:19] | well, it’s critically important. | 这非常重要 |
[10:21] | It is. | 是的 |
[10:23] | I want you to know that my team is working tirelessly | 我希望你了解我的团队正不知疲倦地工作 |
[10:27] | to bring those missing soldiers home. | 想把那些失踪士兵的遗体带回家 |
[10:29] | I’m glad to hear it. | 很高兴听到你这么说 |
[10:33] | I fear… | 我所担忧的是 |
[10:35] | that our efforts aren’t being helped | 您的公开演讲会让我们的努力 |
[10:37] | by your public statements. | 付之东流 |
[10:39] | These are delicate negotiations | 和贪得无厌的盟友谈判 |
[10:42] | with an overreaching ally. | 需要极度的细致耐心 |
[10:45] | I appreciate that, | 我了解 |
[10:47] | but more than 72,000 Americans | 但是仍有七万两千多个 |
[10:51] | who died in World War II | 在二战中丧生的美国人 |
[10:54] | still remain unaccounted for. | 下落不明 |
[10:58] | 72,000 families | 七万两千个家庭 |
[11:01] | have never healed, | 还在伤痛中 |
[11:03] | and mine was one of them. | 我的家庭也是其中之一 |
[11:12] | The last time I saw my dad, | 我最后一次见到我爸爸的时候 |
[11:16] | he took me by the hand, | 他拉着我的手 |
[11:18] | he looked me in the eye | 凝视着我的眼睛 |
[11:21] | and promised he was coming home. | 承诺他会回家 |
[11:25] | I’m going to do everything it takes | 我会尽我所能 |
[11:29] | to help him keep that promise. | 帮他实现诺言 |
[11:35] | So, how long do we have | 离格洛莉亚·佩利 |
[11:36] | before Gloria Paley takes to the airwaves again? | 下次上电视还有多久 |
[11:41] | She agreed to stand down until the morning of the midterms. | 她同意在中期大选开始之前保持低调 |
[11:45] | If the remains haven’t left Manila by then, | 但如果到时遗体还没有离开马尼拉 |
[11:48] | she is going to hold another press conference. | 她将再次召开新闻发布会 |
[11:52] | Which will sink our allies running for office. | 这将毁了我们盟友的竞选 |
[11:56] | I don’t blame the woman at all. | 但我一点也不怪她 |
[11:59] | Where are we on those remains, Bess? | 阵亡士兵遗骨的事情怎么样了 |
[12:02] | Andrada’s playing hardball until we deliver his military aid. | 在我们提供军事援助之前安德拉达会保持强硬 |
[12:06] | So who’s holding up the bill? | 是谁不肯拨款 |
[12:08] | The new senator from Kentucky, Owen Callister. | 肯塔基州的新参议员欧文·卡利斯特 |
[12:11] | He’s the swing vote on foreign relations | 他在外交关系上是关键票 |
[12:14] | who won’t let the bill get to the Senate floor. | 导致这个法案无法进入参议院议程 |
[12:16] | Elizabeth, see if you can bring Callister to heel. | 伊丽莎白 看看你能不能让卡利斯特同意 |
[12:18] | If you can’t, then tell Andrada | 如果你做不到 那就告诉安德拉达 |
[12:21] | we’re slapping him with sanctions. | 我们要制裁他们 |
[12:24] | Oh, sir, I would advise against that. | 总统先生 我不建议这么做 |
[12:28] | He’s gonna take it as an affront. | 他会认为这是公开侮辱 |
[12:30] | Says the woman who shattered his nose. | 你本人可是冲他鼻子打过一拳呢 |
[12:33] | Which is how I know | 所以我才知道 |
[12:34] | that he is particularly sensitive | 他对于美国的示威 |
[12:35] | to an American display of power. | 非常敏感 |
[12:38] | Carrot or stick, whatever it takes, | 不管是胡萝卜还是大棒 给我搞定他 |
[12:41] | because “no man left behind” is not just a credo. | “不丢下同伴”这个信条不仅仅是说说而已 |
[12:43] | It’s a pledge we make to the enlisted, | 更是我们对军人的承诺 |
[12:45] | and every second those soldiers aren’t back | 如果那些阵亡士兵的遗骨回不来 |
[12:46] | is a breach of faith to those who serve. | 我们就违背了对他们的承诺 |
[12:49] | I’ll lean on Senator Callister. | 我会让卡利斯特议员同意的 |
[12:54] | Lean hard, Bess. | 强硬点 贝丝 |
[12:59] | Where are you? | 你在哪 |
[13:01] | No, get off the Beltway and take the local streets. | 从环城高速上下来 走地方街道 |
[13:04] | Just get here as quickly as you can, okay? Bye. | 尽快过来好吗 再见 |
[13:07] | – Thank you so much. – Yeah, for sure. | -非常感谢你 -不客气 |
[13:10] | Nice turnout, Ali. | 参加活动的人很多 艾莉 |
[13:11] | Thanks for helping organize it. | 谢谢你帮忙组织活动 |
[13:13] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[13:14] | Um, I’m afraid I messed up. | 恐怕我搞砸了一件事情 |
[13:18] | I gave the sign language interpreter the wrong address– | 我给手语译员的地址是错的 |
[13:21] | Boulevard instead of Avenue. | 我把大道说成了大街 |
[13:23] | He’s still 20 minutes out. | 他还有20分钟才能到 |
[13:25] | I’m supposed to speak on federal initiatives | 我今天演讲的内容 |
[13:26] | to increase educational access. | 是关于提高教育的普及率 |
[13:28] | It would be ironic if some of the audience couldn’t hear. | 如果有一部分听众听不懂的话会显得很讽刺 |
[13:30] | I know. I’m so sorry. | 我知道 对不起 |
[13:37] | It’s not a problem, Ali. | 没关系 艾莉 |
[13:39] | Okay, everyone, | 大家注意一下 |
[13:40] | please welcome Craig Pavano, our candidate for Congress. | 欢迎克雷格·帕瓦诺 国会议员候选人 |
[13:45] | Good morning. Good morning, everyone. | 早上好 早上好各位 |
[13:46] | Good morning. Thank you for coming out. | 早上好 感谢大家来到这里 |
[13:52] | I’m Craig Pavano, | 我是克雷格·帕瓦诺 |
[13:53] | – and I’m running for Congress. – Yes! | 我在竞选议员 |
[13:55] | I’m here to speak about our children. | 今天来到这里我想谈谈我们的孩子们 |
[14:00] | Good morning, Madam Secretary. | 早上好 国务卿女士 |
[14:02] | You know, I have this fantasy that one morning | 我经常幻想有一天早上 |
[14:06] | I’m going to step off of that elevator | 我走出电梯 |
[14:08] | and be greeted by a genie. | 是一个精灵来迎接我 |
[14:11] | Or a masseuse, or maybe a wayward puppy. | 或者按摩师 或者一只任性的小狗 |
[14:14] | Well, would you settle for a stray Kat? | 一只流浪的凯特行吗 |
[14:15] | I would. | 当然行 |
[14:16] | – I had to go there. – Hi. | -我得去那边 -你好 |
[14:18] | – Welcome back. – Thank you. | -欢迎回来 -谢谢 |
[14:19] | – How was the U.N.? – It was good. It was good. | -联合国怎么样 -很好 很好 |
[14:21] | We made progress on the refugee protocol. | 难民协议取得了一些进展 |
[14:23] | However, they do not care about coffee over there. | 但是他们都不怎么关心咖啡 |
[14:26] | – Philistines. – Oh, it’s so good to be home. | -俗气的人 -回家真好 |
[14:29] | Uh, Senator Callister is prepped and waiting for us. | 卡利斯特议员正在等着我们 |
[14:31] | Uh, and I… I did some digging. | 我做了一些调查 |
[14:33] | It turns out his state houses Paraverse Industries. | 帕拉维斯公司在他所在的州 |
[14:35] | They manufacture much of the weaponry | 如果众议院8365号法案通过的话 |
[14:37] | that we’d send Andrada’s way if H.R. 8365 passes. | 我们送给安德拉达的武器很多都是该公司制造 |
[14:41] | Ah. Yeah, Paraverse has over 800 employees | 帕拉维斯公司仅仅在莱克星顿就有八百名员工 |
[14:43] | in Lexington alone, meaning opposition to this bill | 如果反对这个法案 |
[14:46] | takes food out of his constituents’ mouths. | 就意味着抢走他选民的饭碗 |
[14:48] | Nice work, everyone. | 大家干得不错 |
[14:49] | – Still holding out for a puppy. – Yes, ma’am. | -我还是想要一只小狗 -好的 国务卿 |
[14:52] | Senator. | 议员先生 |
[14:54] | So nice to meet you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[14:55] | Likewise, Madam Secretary. | 我也是 国务卿女士 |
[14:56] | – Kat. – Come on in. | -凯特 -进来吧 |
[15:00] | This administration likes | 这一届政府 |
[15:01] | to work very closely with Congress, | 喜欢和国会紧密合作 |
[15:03] | which is why we called you in to talk about H.R. 8365, | 所以我们才请你来讨论众议院8365号法案 |
[15:07] | which I understand you oppose? | 我记得你好像反对 |
[15:09] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 国务卿 |
[15:10] | Okay, well, that bill provides military aid | 那个法案给我们世界上最重要的盟友 |
[15:14] | to an important ally in a region of the world | 提供军事援助 |
[15:17] | we don’t want to see fall under China’s sphere of influence. | 我们不希望菲律宾落入中国的势力范围 |
[15:19] | I understand that. | 我明白 |
[15:20] | H.R. 8365 | 众议院8365号法案 |
[15:22] | is also tied to the release of the bodies | 还关系到菲律宾 |
[15:25] | of missing American soldiers. | 是否能归还失踪美军的遗骨 |
[15:27] | An important priority. | 这非常重要 |
[15:28] | Yes. | 没错 |
[15:29] | And given the fact that this legislation would support | 鉴于这个法案会支持帕拉维斯公司 |
[15:33] | Paraverse, a major defense contractor | 你的州内一个重要的武器制造公司 |
[15:36] | in your own state, we’re hoping | 我们希望 |
[15:38] | that you’ll reconsider your position. | 你能重新考虑你的立场 |
[15:44] | I will not. | 我不会的 |
[15:47] | Would you please explain why? | 你能告诉我原因吗 |
[15:49] | Andrada is a ruthless dictator | 安德拉达是个残忍的独裁者 |
[15:51] | whose government is a notorious violator | 他的政府因为侵犯人权 |
[15:54] | of human rights. | 而臭名昭著 |
[15:55] | Funneling money to his regime is inconsistent | 给他的政府送钱 |
[15:58] | with American values. | 和美国的价值观不符 |
[15:59] | But not as inconsistent as letting that country fall | 但如果让菲律宾落入原教旨极端主义分子手中 |
[16:02] | into the hands of fundamentalist extremists. | 与美国的价值观更加不符 |
[16:04] | The intelligence I’ve seen suggests | 就我所了解的情报信息 |
[16:05] | that is an unlikely scenario. | 这不太可能 |
[16:07] | Only if Andrada remains in power. | 除非安德拉达继续掌权 |
[16:12] | We are very aware | 我们非常了解 |
[16:14] | of Andrada’s obvious shortcomings, | 安德拉达的明显缺点 |
[16:16] | but this Mindanao Freedom Brigade | 但这支棉兰老岛自由旅 |
[16:19] | makes him look like Churchill. | 让他看起来像丘吉尔 |
[16:21] | And sometimes you do have to choose the lesser of two evils. | 有时候你必须两恶相权选其轻 |
[16:25] | No. | 不 |
[16:27] | The Dalton administration does. | 必须选择的是道尔顿政府 |
[16:29] | I have to look my constituents in the eye. | 我得对我的选民负责 |
[16:33] | Please, um, | 请转告总统 |
[16:35] | tell the president I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[16:38] | You bet. | 没问题 |
[16:39] | Okay. Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[16:44] | Golly. Wow. | 天啊 |
[16:47] | Did we just meet | 我们刚刚是不是见到了 |
[16:48] | one of the few elected officials | 为数不多的 |
[16:50] | who puts principles first? | 原则高于利益的议员之一 |
[16:52] | That, or someone dropped him on his head. | 如果不是这样的话 那他就是被人砸了脑袋 |
[16:56] | I’m not buying either scenario. | 这两种情况我都不相信 |
[17:03] | Who is Paraverse’s chief lobbyist? | 谁是帕拉维斯公司的首席说客 |
[17:09] | Mickey Kensington. | 米奇·肯辛顿 |
[17:11] | You know what? I’ll tell Jay. | 我去告诉杰伊 |
[17:12] | – He’s worked with him. – Great. | -他们一起共事过 -很好 |
[17:19] | Hold on, Mickey. | 等等 米奇 |
[17:19] | You’re saying that Callister doesn’t care about donors? | 你是说卡利斯特不在乎捐款人 |
[17:23] | Well, he’s made a fortune in high-tech. | 他在高科技行业挣了很多钱 |
[17:24] | He doesn’t need Paraverse’s money. | 他不需要帕拉维斯公司的钱 |
[17:27] | But he damn sure needs their votes in the next election. | 但在下次选举中他肯定需要他们的选票 |
[17:28] | And Paraverse is one of the state’s largest employers. | 帕拉维斯是美国最大的雇主之一 |
[17:31] | He won’t support foreign companies. | 他不会支持外国公司 |
[17:33] | What could be more apple pie | 还有什么事情能比 |
[17:34] | than an American munitions manufacturer | 把总部设在肯塔基的 |
[17:36] | headquartered in Kentucky? | 美国军火制造商更完美的呢 |
[17:37] | One that’s not founded by | 但这公司是由来自新德里的 |
[17:39] | an immigrant from New Delhi named Arjun Bhatt. | 名叫阿荣·巴特的移民成立的 |
[17:43] | Wait. What are you telling me? | 等等 你说的什么意思 |
[17:45] | Once you get past the glossy facade, | 一旦你抛开他华丽的外表 |
[17:47] | Callister gets dark in a hurry. | 卡利斯特很快就变得黑暗起来 |
[17:48] | He’s got deep ties to nativist organizations, | 他与本土主义组织有着深厚的联系 |
[17:51] | but since he’s not taking PAC money, | 但是因为他不拿政治行动委员会的资助 |
[17:52] | the connections are well concealed. | 所以联系隐藏得很好 |
[17:54] | So he won’t help Filipinos or naturalized Americans. | 所以他不会帮助菲律宾人或入美国籍的人 |
[17:57] | Or anyone who doesn’t come from Anglo-Saxon stock. | 还有任何没有盎格鲁-撒克逊血统的人 |
[18:01] | If you want to get those bodies back, | 如果你想把那些尸体拿回来 |
[18:02] | Callister’s not your solution. | 卡利斯特不能解决问题 |
[18:04] | He’s our problem. Mm. | 他是我们的问题 |
[18:07] | Thanks, Mickey. | 谢谢 米奇 |
[18:10] | It’s on me. | 我请客 |
[18:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[18:15] | Ma’am, I think calling President Andrada directly | 国务卿 我觉得直接打电话给安德拉达总统 |
[18:17] | is not a good idea. | 不是个好主意 |
[18:18] | By “Not good,” He means apocalyptically bad. | 这个不好意味着灾难性的坏 |
[18:20] | Well, I appreciate the sage counsel, | 谢谢你们的真挚谏言 |
[18:22] | but you two just told me | 但是你们俩刚刚告诉我 |
[18:24] | that Senator Racist Obstruction isn’t going to help us, | 那个种族主义参议员无法帮助我们 |
[18:27] | so we need a new strategy. | 所以我们需要一个新的策略 |
[18:29] | Ma’am, if I could put a finer point on it: | 国务卿 让我能说得更清楚点 |
[18:30] | Andrada is a chauvinist who is unlikely to meet with a woman | 安德拉达是沙文主义者 他很可能不会见 |
[18:33] | whose last interaction with him left him with a deviated septum. | 一个上一次见面时让他鼻中隔偏曲的女人 |
[18:36] | I wish I could help you, | 我也希望我能帮助你 |
[18:37] | Madam Secretary, but the bodies are in a remote jungle location. | 国务卿女士 但尸体位于偏僻的丛林地区 |
[18:42] | It’s the rainy season. | 现在是雨季 |
[18:44] | They will take time to safely excavate. | 他们将需要时间来安全地挖掘 |
[18:46] | And we don’t want to endanger your men, | 我们不想让你们的人处于危险中 |
[18:49] | so we have a detachment of Marines at the ready | 所以我们准备好了海军陆战队 |
[18:52] | who will conduct the recovery mission. | 来执行发掘任务 |
[18:54] | It’s not just the weather. | 不仅仅是天气 |
[18:56] | The jungle where the bodies are located | 尸体所在的丛林 |
[18:59] | is a stronghold for the Mindanao Freedom Brigade. | 是棉兰老自由旅的据点 |
[19:02] | I know how concerned you are about the insurgency. | 我知道你有多担心叛乱 |
[19:07] | President Dalton has authorized | 道尔顿总统授权 |
[19:09] | a detachment of U.S. Military advisers… | 美国军事顾问的支队… |
[19:11] | I don’t need advisers. | 我不需要顾问 |
[19:12] | I need assault rifles, | 我需要突击步枪 |
[19:14] | armored personnel carriers, drones. | 装甲运兵车 还有无人机 |
[19:18] | All of which will be forthcoming | 所有这些都会在 |
[19:21] | when Congress passes the aid bill, | 国会通过援助法案之后到位 |
[19:23] | which we expect will be before the end of the current term. | 我们预计在本任期结束之前确定 |
[19:31] | President Andrada, my… | 安德拉达总统 我的… |
[19:34] | my advisers were concerned | 我的顾问们很担心 |
[19:37] | that… after our last encounter, | 在我们最后一次会面之后 |
[19:41] | you wouldn’t be receptive to me, but… | 你不会接受和我谈判的 但是… |
[19:44] | but I disagreed, | 但我不这么觉得 |
[19:46] | because I know that you’re a leader | 因为我知道你是一个 |
[19:47] | who wants what’s best for your country… Mm. | 把国家利益放在第一位的领导者 |
[19:49] | …meaning you won’t let our unfortunate personal history | 也就是说你不会让我们不幸的个人问题 |
[19:52] | be an impediment. | 成为障碍 |
[19:54] | You are correct. | 你是对的 |
[19:57] | Our history is irrelevant. | 我们的问题是无关紧要的 |
[20:00] | What is relevant is that aid package. | 重要的是援助物资 |
[20:04] | And when it arrives, you can reclaim your dead. | 当它们到位时你就可以收回尸体了 |
[20:11] | Good luck with the midterms. | 祝中期选举好运 |
[20:17] | I have no update yet, and I have to cancel lunch. | 我还没收到新消息 还有我得取消午餐 |
[20:22] | Well, I’m not here to pressure you, | 我不是来给你施加压力的 |
[20:25] | but the polls open in a few days. | 但是投票在几天内就开始了 |
[20:27] | I’m flying to Manila to meet with President Andrada, | 我要飞往马尼拉与安德拉达总统会面 |
[20:30] | and I need to prepare, okay? | 而且我需要准备 好吗 |
[20:32] | Mm… not okay. | 不好 |
[20:35] | Diplomacy at a distance is one thing, | 远距离外交是一回事 |
[20:37] | but the last time… | 但上次… |
[20:38] | The next person who brings up Andrada’s nose– | 谁再提起安德拉达的鼻子 |
[20:39] | – I’m gonna punch him in the face. – I’m saying, | -我就要揍他的脸 -我是说 |
[20:41] | you’re not exactly the poster child for détente here. | 你的出现可让人轻松不起来 |
[20:43] | We are out of options and time. | 我们没有选择和时间 |
[20:46] | President Dalton asked me to get involved for a reason. | 道尔顿总统让我参与进来是有原因的 |
[20:49] | Just the most modest vote of confidence | 你能不能稍微信任一下 |
[20:52] | in my ability to do my job would be great. | 我的工作能力 |
[20:56] | Sorry. My confidence | 对不起 我对你 |
[20:59] | in your ability is anything but modest. | 绝对信任 |
[21:02] | Believe it or not, my anxiety isn’t just about the midterms. | 信不信由你 我的焦虑不仅仅来自中期选举 |
[21:05] | – It’s-it’s… – Also about the midterms. | -是…-还是中期选举 |
[21:07] | Yes, about the midterms. | 是的 还是中期选举 |
[21:09] | But I care about this issue. | 但我关心这个问题 |
[21:12] | Same reason everybody else does. | 跟其他人的理由一样 |
[21:17] | Andrada has been harping on about disrespect. | 安德拉达一直喋喋不休地说不尊重的事 |
[21:20] | It’s a pretext to shake us down. | 这是让我们动摇的借口 |
[21:22] | The Secretary of State shows up in Manila, the pretext is gone. | 我一旦去了马尼拉 他就没有借口了 |
[21:25] | We now have leverage to call him out. | 我们现在已经有足够的筹码来把他揪出来 |
[21:30] | Well, can’t argue with that. | 好吧 你有道理 |
[21:34] | I’m gonna bring ’em home, Russell. | 我会把他们带回家的 拉塞尔 |
[21:35] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[21:37] | Godspeed, Madam Secretary. | 祝你好运 国务卿女士 |
[21:40] | Russell. | 拉塞尔 |
[21:43] | Whatever it is, I got to pack. | 不管你们要说什么我都得收拾行李了 |
[21:45] | -So if it can wait… – It can’t. | -所以如果能等的话… -等不了 |
[21:47] | This is an intervention. | 这是一个干预行动 |
[21:49] | The important thing to do is to keep centered and calm. | 重要的是保持集中和冷静 |
[21:52] | About what? | 什么事 |
[21:53] | Ma’am. | 国务卿 |
[21:59] | “A forcible and noisy expulsion | “国务卿的家人 |
[22:01] | of the Secretary of State’s family.” | 被强行驱逐” |
[22:08] | We know your first instinct is to publicly respond. | 我们知道你的第一本能是公开回应 |
[22:11] | And we are all here to urge you not to. | 我们都在这里敦促你不要这样做 |
[22:15] | I’m not going to respond publicly. | 我不会公开回应 |
[22:17] | It would be beneath the administration | 攻击私人企业 |
[22:19] | to attack a private business. | 不是政府的职责 |
[22:23] | Well put, ma’am. | 处理得好 国务卿 |
[22:24] | Well put. | 处理得好 |
[22:27] | I’m going to ignore it. | 我会忽略它 |
[22:29] | That’s good. That’s good. Good. | 那很好 那很好 很好 |
[22:30] | Okay. Well done. Just ignore. Hear, hear. | 可以 做得好 不要理会 倾听 |
[22:32] | Just ignore. | 不要理会 |
[22:37] | – Did that work? – I don’t know. | -这样行吗 -我不知道 |
[22:38] | – I can’t read that lady. -Yeah, me neither. | -我真看不透她 -我也是 |
[22:40] | She’s either chill… Or she’s gonna kill someone. | 她要么很冷静…要么就打算杀人 |
[22:43] | Coming after my family? | 居然找到我家人头上 |
[22:45] | – I… – Babe, | -我… -亲爱的 |
[22:46] | this is just a taste of the kind of stuff | 如果你决定参选的话 |
[22:48] | we’re gonna have to get used to if you’re | 这样的对待就只是毛毛雨 |
[22:49] | – throwing your hat in the ring. – I know. | -我们必须习惯 -我知道 |
[22:51] | But I just feel like every day that I do this job | 但我只是觉得我每天做的事情都是 |
[22:54] | undermines my chances to do that one. | 鱼与熊掌不可兼得 |
[22:57] | Our restaurant eviction is hardly a scarlet letter. | 我们被餐馆驱逐还算不上什么大事 |
[23:00] | No, it’s not just that. | 不 不只是这样 |
[23:02] | A Secretary of State’s mandate is to compromise. | 国务卿的职责是妥协 |
[23:05] | Lose the battle to win the war. | 输掉战役来赢得战争 |
[23:07] | Nowadays it seems like a successful candidate | 现如今好像成功的竞选人 |
[23:11] | has to appear resolute, | 都要表现出坚定 |
[23:13] | unyielding. | 坚强的品质 |
[23:17] | You know the last Secretary of State to become president? | 你知道上一任成为总统的国务卿是谁吗 |
[23:20] | James Buchanan. | 詹姆斯·布坎南 |
[23:22] | 150 years ago. | 一百五十年前 |
[23:25] | Well, even the Cubbies eventually won the World Series. | 尽管芝加哥小熊队最终赢了世界大赛 |
[23:29] | Streaks are made to be broken. | 纪录就是要被打破的 |
[23:32] | By the way, | 顺便说一句 |
[23:33] | I need to thank you. | 我得谢谢你 |
[23:35] | Don’t get used to it. You’re on dishes next week. | 别太习惯了 下周你得刷碗 |
[23:39] | No. | 不是 |
[23:41] | – Thanks, Frank. – You got it. | -谢谢 弗兰克 -不客气 |
[23:43] | I got to thank you for bringing home those dead soldiers. | 我得谢谢你把那些死去的战士带回家 |
[23:46] | I mean, you know that I lost some friends from basic. | 你知道我在战场上失去了朋友 |
[23:50] | The thought of leaving those guys where they fell is… | 想到把他们留在牺牲的地方就… |
[23:54] | It’s an important mission. | 这是个重要的任务 |
[23:57] | And I’m the one entrusted with it. | 并且委托给我了 |
[24:00] | That should be a declaration, babe. | 这应该是个陈述句 宝贝 |
[24:02] | That sounds like a question. | 听起来像个疑问句 |
[24:05] | You don’t have misgivings about me going | 对于我要去面对… |
[24:08] | – face-to-face with… – Yeah, I have misgivings. | -你没有疑虑吗 -对 我有疑虑 |
[24:09] | I hate that you’re gonna be in the same room as the guy. | 我讨厌你要去和那个家伙同处一室 |
[24:13] | You’re gonna be okay. | 你不会有事的 |
[24:15] | Yeah, I got this. | 对 我没问题 |
[24:16] | Good. | 很好 |
[24:17] | Bring our heroes home. | 把我们的英雄带回家 |
[24:18] | I will. | 我会的 |
[24:22] | Be safe. | 注意安全 |
[24:29] | I need you to copy | 我要你记下来 |
[24:30] | talking points for Craig’s next round of interviews. | 克里格下一轮访谈的要点 |
[24:33] | Wait, there’s a mistake here. | 等等 这里有个错误 |
[24:35] | Candidate approved it. There’s no mistake. | 候选人看过了 没有问题 |
[24:42] | Craig, can I have a second? | 克里格 可以打扰一下吗 |
[24:46] | Sure. What’s up, Ali? | 好的 什么事 艾莉 |
[24:48] | One of the cornerstones of your campaign | 你竞选的基础之一 |
[24:49] | – is student loan forgiveness. – Right, right. | -是减免学生贷款 -对 对 |
[24:51] | But someone forgot to include it in the talking points | 不过有人忘记把它放到你下一次 |
[24:54] | for your upcoming appearances. | 访谈的要点中了 |
[24:57] | Well, that someone was me. | 是我没放进去 |
[24:58] | But I promise you I didn’t forget. | 不过我保证我没有忘记 |
[25:00] | Uh, latest tracking polls show that this issue | 最新的民调显示这个问题 |
[25:02] | is a… a third rail for the voters. | 是个 选民的雷区 |
[25:05] | You know, unfortunately, the many funding the few. | 不幸的是 这是多数人资助少数人 |
[25:07] | But-but, in time, the few become the many. | 不过 最后少数人就会变成多数人 |
[25:11] | Right. And, in time, I hope to revisit the issue. | 对 希望未来我会再回到这个问题上 |
[25:14] | But job one is to get a seat at the table. | 不过首要任务是要坐上这个位置 |
[25:16] | Then we can talk about how to divvy up the food. | 然后我们才能讨论如何分掉食物 |
[25:19] | Yeah? | 对吗 |
[25:20] | Hey, keep up the good work, okay? | 继续加油干 好吗 |
[25:23] | Sure. Thanks. | 好的 谢谢 |
[25:28] | 菲律宾 马尼拉 | |
[25:43] | President Andrada, | 安德拉达总统 |
[25:45] | we had a meeting calendared | 今早在你的办公室 |
[25:46] | this morning at your office. | 我们有个会议日程 |
[25:49] | Yes. | 对 |
[25:51] | But I needed some exercise. | 不过我需要锻炼 |
[26:12] | Mr. President, I traveled 8,000 miles to make an appeal | 总统先生 我飞了八千英里来 |
[26:15] | on behalf of President Dalton for the return | 代表道尔顿总统恳请 |
[26:17] | of our war dead. | 接回我们在战争中牺牲的士兵 |
[26:18] | Well, I hope you did not come empty-handed. | 我希望你不是空手而来 |
[26:22] | I come with a promise. | 我带来了一个保证 |
[26:24] | We will eventually push that aid package through. | 我们会推动援助尽快送达 |
[26:28] | But you need to give us those bodies back right now. | 但是你得立刻把那些遗体还给我们 |
[26:33] | You do not show up in my country | 你不能来到我的国家 |
[26:37] | and step into my gym | 站在我的健身房里 |
[26:39] | and tell me what to do. | 来告诉我该做什么 |
[26:42] | No. | 是不能 |
[26:44] | But you’re on record | 但是你公开表示 |
[26:47] | saying that the U.S. was disrespecting you. | 美国政府不尊重你 |
[26:50] | But I’m here now, | 而我现在就在这里 |
[26:51] | showing you more respect than you deserve. | 向你表达你本不该应得的那份尊重 |
[26:58] | Talking to me this way, | 这样跟我说话 |
[27:00] | that is respect? | 这是尊重吗 |
[27:02] | Surrender those bodies, Mr. President, | 交出那些遗体 总统先生 |
[27:04] | or your people find out that you begged for U.S. aid, | 不然你的人民会发现你在乞求美国的援助 |
[27:09] | which will make you look as weak as you really are. | 这会让你看上去就像你实际上一样弱 |
[27:14] | You are the weak one, standing there, begging. | 你站在这里恳求 你才是弱的那一方 |
[27:19] | If you prefer… | 如果你想要 |
[27:22] | to fight, | 打拳 |
[27:23] | we can settle this in the ring! | 我们可以在拳击场上解决 |
[27:32] | I hung up my gloves. | 我收起我的手套了 |
[27:34] | You will release a statement | 你要发出一份声明 |
[27:36] | that those bodies are being extracted. | 说那些遗体要被带走 |
[27:39] | Or I’m going to release one | 不然我会发出一份声明 |
[27:40] | about how you really broke your nose. | 告诉大家你是怎么打断自己鼻子的 |
[27:43] | Meaning how I broke it. | 我是如何打断你鼻子的 |
[27:45] | Understood? | 明白吗 |
[27:48] | Great. | 很好 |
[27:53] | Bye, Mr. President. | 再见 总统先生 |
[28:02] | How’s the jet lag? | 时差怎么样 |
[28:04] | I’m too tired to talk about it. | 我太累了 不想说这个 |
[28:05] | There’s a C-17 transport over the Philippine Sea right now | 现在有一架C-17运输机在菲律宾海域上 |
[28:09] | carrying the remains of 31 American soldiers. | 载着三十一具美国士兵遗体 |
[28:13] | You brought our people home. | 你把我们的人民带回家了 |
[28:14] | And without precipitating an international incident. | 并且没有造成国际事件 |
[28:17] | Oh, please. | 够了 |
[28:18] | The summit was handled with… | 会面进行得 |
[28:23] | …restraint and decorum. | 克制而不失礼貌 |
[28:28] | Good work, Elizabeth. | 好样的 伊丽莎白 |
[28:29] | – Thank you. – Now the bad news. | -谢谢 -下面是坏消息 |
[28:32] | Come on. | 不会吧 |
[28:36] | David Paley isn’t getting a military funeral? | 戴维·佩利无法得到军事葬礼吗 |
[28:39] | I’m afraid not. | 恐怕不能 |
[28:41] | We dug up personnel files on all the dead. | 我们对所有去世的士兵进行调查 |
[28:43] | Came across something troubling. | 发现有些问题 |
[28:46] | He went AWOL? | 他擅离职守了吗 |
[28:47] | Right before his last mission. | 就在他最后一次任务前 |
[28:49] | 18 hours unaccounted for. | 有十八小时不知所踪 |
[28:51] | Suspected desertion. | 怀疑是潜逃 |
[28:53] | Came back to his post in time to be deployed. | 他在战斗部署前及时回到了岗位 |
[28:55] | So then why’d they let him fly? | 那为什么让他飞 |
[28:56] | Didn’t realize his transgression | 在他的飞机失踪后 |
[28:58] | until after his plane went missing. | 才发现他的违纪 |
[28:59] | With Paley declared a combat death, | 佩利在战争中去世了 |
[29:02] | -there was no reason to throw dirt on his memory. – No. | -没有理由抹黑他的名声 -对 |
[29:05] | But now everything’s come to light. | 不过现在所有事情都见光了 |
[29:08] | Department of Veterans Affairs does not want | 退伍军人事务部不想 |
[29:10] | to afford him a burial with honors. | 给予他荣誉葬礼 |
[29:13] | Well, who can overrule that? | 那谁能否决这件事 |
[29:15] | This is Gloria Paley’s father. | 这是格洛莉亚·佩利的父亲 |
[29:17] | He’s a war hero, Mr. President, | 他是位战争英雄 总统先生 |
[29:19] | who gave his life for his country. | 他把他的生命献给了祖国 |
[29:20] | And he also went AWOL, an act which would have resulted | 但是他曾擅离职守 他要不是死在战场上 |
[29:23] | in his court-martial had he not died in combat. | 这会让他上军事法庭 |
[29:24] | But he did die. And instead of paying tribute | 但是他真的死了 而我们在抹黑他的名声 |
[29:27] | to his sacrifice, we’re disgracing his memory. | 而不是向他的牺牲致敬 |
[29:34] | Henry, | 亨利 |
[29:36] | you are conspicuous by your silence. | 你沉默得引人注目 |
[29:38] | I’d like your input, | 我想听听你的意见 |
[29:40] | as a Marine and an ethicist. | 作为一名海军陆战队员和一名伦理学家 |
[29:42] | Well, Mr. President, | 总统先生 |
[29:43] | I think a life has to be looked at in toto. | 我认为一个生命应该被宏观的评价 |
[29:45] | Paley flew 142 missions with distinction. | 佩利出色得完成了142次飞行任务 |
[29:48] | After three years in combat, he reached his breaking point. | 历经三年作战 他达到了极限 |
[29:51] | But he didn’t break. He bent. | 但他没有突破极限 他犯错了 |
[29:53] | Which would urge | 他应该被嘉奖 |
[29:54] | commendation, not censure. | 而非谴责 |
[29:55] | What kind of message would it send | 如果他女儿的不懈努力 |
[29:57] | if his daughter’s tireless efforts were rewarded | 换来的是这等指责 |
[30:00] | with this kind of rebuke? | 我们将给公众传达什么样的信息 |
[30:03] | So… | 所以 |
[30:05] | compassion over… process. | 恻隐之心大于事实经过 |
[30:08] | In this instance, | 就此事来看 |
[30:09] | that would be my recommendation, yes. | 那就是我的建议 没错 |
[30:12] | This is not an academic matter. | 这不是一个学术问题 |
[30:14] | It has consequences. | 它会产生一定的后果 |
[30:16] | If you don’t follow orders, people die. | 如果不遵从命令 会有人牺牲 |
[30:19] | If you don’t punish deserters, | 如果不惩罚擅离职守者 |
[30:22] | they desert. | 他们将继续玩忽职守 |
[30:23] | And if you don’t recognize heroism, | 同样 如果无视英勇事迹 |
[30:26] | you discourage heroics. | 会让英雄却步 |
[30:29] | Maybe. But as commander in chief, | 也许吧 但是作为三军总司令 |
[30:32] | it falls to me to enforce military protocol. | 我身上负有严格执行军事制度的重任 |
[30:35] | That takes precedence. | 制度优先 |
[30:38] | I’m sorry, Bess. | 抱歉 贝丝 |
[30:39] | Gordon, you’ll have to inform Ms. Paley. | 戈登 你负责通知佩利女士 |
[30:42] | Yes, sir. | 是的 阁下 |
[30:45] | If it’s all right with you… | 如果没问题的话… |
[30:47] | Of course. | 当然 |
[30:48] | It’s fine. | 没问题 |
[30:50] | Mr. President. | 总统先生 |
[30:58] | What you watching? | 在看什么 |
[31:00] | My Uncle William. | 我的威廉叔叔 |
[31:03] | It’s the only footage we have of him. | 这是他留给我们唯一的影像 |
[31:06] | Right before he shipped out. | 就在他出海之前 |
[31:09] | Can I…? | 我能… |
[31:10] | Yeah. | 当然 |
[31:14] | Did you know that Uncle William was scouted by | 你知道吗 威廉叔叔在他高三那年 |
[31:16] | the Washington Senators his senior year of high school? | 被华盛顿参议员棒球队看中 |
[31:18] | – Was he really? – Yep. | -真的吗 -真的 |
[31:19] | – Wow. – They offered him a minor league contract | -哇哦 -他们还准备在他打完仗回家那天 |
[31:22] | for the day he got home from the war. | 跟他签订小职业球队联盟合同 |
[31:27] | So much to live for. | 生命有太多值得追寻的东西 |
[31:30] | Doughnuts. They’re still hot. | 甜甜圈 还是热的 |
[31:32] | – Hi, Dad. – Bye. | -爸爸 -再见 |
[31:34] | Bye. | 再见 |
[31:35] | – Where you going? – Out. I’ll be back. | -要去哪 -出门 我会回来的 |
[31:38] | Okay, sweetheart. | 好的 甜心 |
[31:41] | No. We haven’t had dinner yet. | 不 我们还没吃晚饭 |
[31:44] | You don’t want a doughnut? What’s wrong? | 你不想吃甜甜圈 出什么事了 |
[31:51] | David Paley. | 戴维·佩利 |
[31:54] | The truth is going to break his daughter’s heart. | 真相会让他女儿心碎的 |
[31:57] | Yes, it will. | 确实 |
[31:59] | So give me the case for keeping her in the dark. | 给我一个瞒着她的理由 |
[32:02] | Well… | 好吧 |
[32:05] | Aquinas suggested that… | 阿奎奈提出 |
[32:06] | – Oh, that guy again. – …honesty wasn’t an absolute virtue. | -又是那个家伙 -诚实不是绝对的美德 |
[32:09] | Uh, what he was getting at was that the damage | 他的观点是 |
[32:14] | that truth can inflict | 真相可能引发的伤害 |
[32:16] | should be factored into the ethical calculus. | 应该纳入道德算法考虑范畴 |
[32:22] | Well, I’m not Aquinas, I’m the Secretary of State. | 我不是阿奎奈 我是国务卿 |
[32:24] | And my remit is not to shine that woman on | 我能做的是不把那位女士蒙在鼓里 |
[32:27] | after 73 years of waiting. | 在她经过73年的等待以后 |
[32:30] | Fair enough. | 有道理 |
[32:32] | But… | 但是 |
[32:34] | there might be a way to soften the blow. | 可能有缓和打击的办法 |
[32:37] | It has to do with Captain Paley’s file. | 跟佩利上尉的档案有关 |
[32:41] | Why don’t you have a doughnut, and I’ll tell you about it. | 不如你先吃个甜甜圈 然后我告诉你这个办法 |
[32:46] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[32:46] | Who are we kidding? I’m gonna have six. | 开什么玩笑 我要吃六个 |
[32:48] | Well, have six. | 好的 吃六个 |
[32:50] | Oh, God. It makes me want to cry. | 天呐 好吃到想哭 |
[32:56] | Great job, Bess. | 干得漂亮 贝丝 |
[32:57] | You brought honor to our dead. | 你为我们的死者争光了 |
[33:01] | So… | 所以 |
[33:02] | why the “We’ve got trouble” Face? | 为什么一副”我们有麻烦了”的表情 |
[33:05] | Not “We” this time. | 这次不是”我们” |
[33:07] | Just you. | 是你 |
[33:10] | L’affaire Pynchon. | 品钦事件 |
[33:13] | I’ve been doing this long enough to know the public | 我花了很长的时间才弄明白 |
[33:15] | doesn’t usually take cabinet secretaries’ families to task | 公众通常不会让内阁大臣的家人 |
[33:19] | for administration policies. | 为政府政策买单 |
[33:22] | Well, it’s a brave new world. | 这是一个崭新的世界 |
[33:24] | Yeah, and a treacherous one. | 对 还是一个背信弃义的世界 |
[33:26] | So I played a cynical hunch. | 所以我凭着怀疑的直觉行事 |
[33:28] | Had one of my people dig into the guy | 派人去调查了那个 |
[33:30] | who gave Henry and Stevie the boot. | 让亨利和斯蒂芬吃闭门羹的家伙 |
[33:32] | Pynchon owner Trevor Bentley was college roommates | 品钦的所有人特雷弗·本特利 |
[33:35] | with Senator Owen Callister. | 是参议员欧文·卡利斯特的大学室友 |
[33:38] | Yep. | 没错 |
[33:41] | Well, that doesn’t necessarily… | 那也没必要… |
[33:42] | Keep reading. | 继续往下读 |
[33:47] | They share season tickets to the Caps. | 他们共用华盛顿首都队的季票 |
[33:51] | And… vacation together | 并且 每个夏天 |
[33:53] | every summer in Rehoboth. | 一起去雷霍博特度假 |
[33:56] | Well, it looks like I need to have a little talk | 看来我得跟这位参议员 |
[33:58] | – with the senator. – Yeah. I’m gonna urge against that. | -小谈一下 -我极力反对 |
[34:03] | He took a cheap shot at my family, Russell. | 他用龌龊的手段对付我的家人 拉塞尔 |
[34:05] | Because he wants to draw you out. | 因为他想把你拉下马 |
[34:08] | You know why? | 知道为什么吗 |
[34:11] | Because he suspects I’m running. | 因为他怀疑我要参加竞选 |
[34:14] | And he probably is, too. | 而且他大概也要竞选 |
[34:17] | Which is why he’s taking shots, | 这就是他出手的原因 |
[34:19] | hoping you’ll defend yourself, | 希望你会为自己辩护 |
[34:20] | which you can’t do until you’ve declared. | 而宣布竞选前你不能这么做 |
[34:23] | Because there’s a difference between | 因为国务卿和候选人的身份 |
[34:25] | being a Secretary of State and a candidate. | 有所区别 |
[34:27] | You’re debating him on the campaign trail, | 你将在竞选活动中跟他辩论 |
[34:29] | you can call him out on anything, | 你可以要求他对任何事情作出说明 |
[34:30] | but a cabinet secretary getting personal, well, | 但作为内阁大臣 涉及私事的话 |
[34:33] | that smacks of bad judgment and plays into his hands. | 带有错误决断的味道 那就中了他的计 |
[34:36] | – I can’t let this go unanswered. – No. | -我必须对此事作出回应 -当然 |
[34:40] | But you don’t have to be the one who answers. | 但你不必亲自回应 |
[34:44] | Hey, Kat. Come on in. | 凯特 请进 |
[34:46] | To what do I owe the honor? | 什么风把你吹来了 |
[34:48] | Oh, just the Secretary of State’s sense of restraint. | 国务卿的克制吧 |
[34:53] | I’m sorry? | 什么 |
[34:56] | Senator, you’ve been a vocal critic | 参议员 你已然是一位 |
[34:57] | of the Dalton administration. | 道尔顿政府的批评者 |
[35:00] | And, uh, I will continue to be so. | 而且 我会继续这么做 |
[35:03] | I’m assuming you’re familiar | 我相信你对忠实反对派 |
[35:04] | with the concept of loyal opposition? | 这个概念并不陌生 |
[35:06] | Oh, I’m very familiar with it, sir. | 我非常熟悉 先生 |
[35:09] | Except the only thing you’ve opposed | 只不过你唯一反对的 |
[35:11] | is our foreign policy. | 是我国的外交政策 |
[35:13] | Yeah, trade deals, peace treaties, | 贸易协定 和平条约 |
[35:16] | immigration initiatives. | 移民举措 |
[35:18] | I’m a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. | 我是参议院外交关系委员会的成员 |
[35:21] | Oh, you’re also on agriculture. | 你还从事农业呢 |
[35:22] | And one of Kentucky’s biggest industries is farming, | 肯塔基州最大的产业是农业 |
[35:24] | and yet, not a word about subsidies or price controls | 然而 对于补贴 价格控制 |
[35:27] | or anything that would play to your base. | 或者任何对你本职有用的话却只字不提 |
[35:28] | Just foreign policy. | 只谈外交政策 |
[35:32] | For the senator of a landlocked state. | 一个内陆州的参议员 |
[35:39] | You didn’t block that aid package out of principle; | 你反对援助计划并不是出于原则 |
[35:41] | you did it because you knew the mess you were making | 你这么做是因为你知道你制造的问题 |
[35:43] | would land on Secretary McCord, | 会由国务卿女士麦考德来背锅 |
[35:45] | and she’d be stained by it. | 她会因此被诟病 |
[35:46] | What’s your point? | 你想说什么 |
[35:47] | You’re running for president. | 你要竞选总统 |
[35:52] | And you’re trying to eliminate | 你想要根除 |
[35:53] | someone you’re afraid could be your competition. | 一个你担心会成为你竞争对手的人 |
[35:55] | Whoa. What… Whatever I may or may not be doing, | 不…不管我做或者没做 |
[35:58] | I certainly don’t have to explain myself | 显然我不需要向一位 |
[36:01] | to a cabinet secretary’s policy advisor. | 内阁部长的政策顾问解释 |
[36:04] | And a queer Latinx woman at that. Wow. | 也是一个拉丁裔同性恋女性 |
[36:07] | Everything you hate. | 我满足你讨厌的一切因素 |
[36:09] | It must be really hard for you. | 这对你来说肯定很困难吧 |
[36:12] | Squeezing you in today, Kat, was a courtesy. | 今天放你进来是出于礼貌 凯特 |
[36:14] | A concept you seem relatively unfamiliar with. | 你似乎对”礼貌”二字不怎么熟悉呢 |
[36:17] | If you have a message for me, I suggest you send it. | 如果你有什么信息 我建议你快说 |
[36:20] | Well, then here it is. You’ve made this personal. | 是你把这事牵扯到个人的 |
[36:22] | And if you ever use my boss’s family again, | 如果你再敢牵扯到我上司的家人 |
[36:25] | the next visit you will get will not be from me. | 下次来找你的就不是我了 |
[36:27] | It’ll be from her, and she won’t be here as Secretary of State | 会是她来 她不会以国务卿或候选人的 |
[36:30] | or as a candidate; she will be here as a mother | 身份来 她会作为一个要保护家庭的 |
[36:33] | protecting her own. | 母亲而来 |
[36:35] | And believe me, that is the one way | 相信我 你绝不会想 |
[36:36] | you do not want to meet Madam Secretary. | 见到那个身份的国务卿女士 |
[36:42] | Is that a threat? | 这是威胁吗 |
[36:44] | Oh, no, Senator. | 不 参议员 |
[36:46] | That was a gift. | 这是礼物 |
[36:54] | My father died for this country, Madam Secretary, | 我的父亲为国家而献身 国务卿女士 |
[36:57] | and this is the way his nation repays him? | 他的国家就如此报答他 |
[37:01] | I’m so sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[37:03] | But the all-powerful bureaucracy | 但是至高无上的官僚 |
[37:06] | has spoken, right? | 已经宣告了 是吗 |
[37:08] | And they’ve branded my father a coward. | 他们还说我的父亲是个懦夫 |
[37:11] | He wasn’t a coward. | 他不是懦夫 |
[37:12] | He was a hero! | 他可是英雄 |
[37:23] | The only thing that I have control of | 我唯一能够控制的 |
[37:26] | is what I tell you. | 就是我要告诉你的事 |
[37:28] | I chose to tell you the truth, | 我选择告诉你事实 |
[37:29] | because I think it is the least you are owed. | 因为我认为这是你应得的 |
[37:35] | But it doesn’t take away the pain. | 但是这并不能缓解伤痛 |
[37:38] | No. I don’t imagine that it does. | 不 我也没这个期望 |
[37:43] | But I think that we may have found a way | 但是我想我们可能有办法 |
[37:46] | to cushion the blow just a little bit. | 适当地缓冲打击 |
[37:51] | Your father’s file will remain classified. | 您父亲的档案仍将保密 |
[37:57] | But when people ask… | 但是当人们问起 |
[38:00] | why he’s not in Arlington, like everyone else, | 他为什么不在阿林顿国家公墓 如果大家问起 |
[38:04] | what do I say? | 我怎么说呢 |
[38:05] | You tell them that you opted for a private family funeral | 告诉他们你选择在你的家乡举行 |
[38:09] | in your hometown. | 私人家庭葬礼 |
[38:11] | And because his record is sealed, | 因为他的记录是封存的 |
[38:13] | the David Paley Foundation’s work, | 戴维·佩利基金会的工作 |
[38:15] | the work that you have devoted your life to, | 你投入毕生心血的工作 |
[38:17] | will continue in his name. | 将以他的名义继续 |
[38:21] | So his legacy is secure. | 那他的名声是安全的 |
[38:23] | Forever. | 永远 |
[38:25] | And he’s coming home, Gloria. | 他要回家了 格洛莉亚 |
[38:35] | Preliminary results from congressional races | 国会选举的初步结果 |
[38:37] | have started to roll in. | 已经开始陆续公布 |
[38:40] | Oh, hey. I thought you were headed to Dover. | 我以为你直接去多佛了 |
[38:43] | Yeah, I am. I’ve got about… | 要去的 我有 |
[38:45] | three minutes to get dressed and grab a bar | 三分钟时间换衣服 拿巧克力 |
[38:48] | and get out the door. | 再出门 |
[38:50] | – Don’t you have an election party to get to? – No, I quit. | -你不要去参加竞选派对吗 -不 我退出了 |
[38:55] | Why? | 为什么 |
[38:56] | You know that student loan forgiveness thing? | 你知道学生贷款减免的事吗 |
[38:58] | Yeah. | 知道 |
[38:59] | Pavano bailed on it. | 帕瓦诺放弃了 |
[39:02] | Your guy had clay feet, huh? | 你的同伴也有弱点哦 |
[39:04] | Not my guy. Not anymore. | 不是我的同伴 不再是了 |
[39:08] | I didn’t even vote for him. | 我压根就没给他投票 |
[39:10] | You voted for Winter? | 你投给温特了 |
[39:12] | No. I didn’t vote for anyone. | 不 我谁也没投 |
[39:17] | What? | 什么 |
[39:18] | All of these guys are exactly the same, Mom. | 这些家伙都一个德行 妈妈 |
[39:30] | How much of what | 对帕瓦诺的立场 |
[39:31] | Pavano stood for did you believe in? | 你相信多少 |
[39:34] | It doesn’t matter. | 这不重要 |
[39:35] | That jerk bailed on his loan forgiveness initiative. | 那个混蛋放弃了他的贷款减免计划 |
[39:38] | And my generation isn’t | 我们这一代人 |
[39:39] | putting up with hypocrites anymore. | 不再容忍伪君子了 |
[39:41] | It’s a new day. | 现在是新时代了 |
[39:42] | So, say, 95%? | 有95%吗 |
[39:45] | You’re not even listening to me. | 你就没听我说 |
[39:46] | Oh, I got the gist. | 我知道要点了 |
[39:48] | Y-your guy compromised, | 你的同伴妥协了 |
[39:50] | and… | 接着 |
[39:53] | now you’re checking out of the process completely? | 现在你完全退出了竞选程序 |
[39:56] | – Look, there will be other elections. – No. Uh-uh. | -还会有其他竞选的 -不 |
[40:00] | Nope. | 不对 |
[40:01] | I am sorry that you were disillusioned. | 很遗憾你的幻想破灭了 |
[40:05] | Get used to it, Alison, | 适应吧 艾莉森 |
[40:06] | because democracy is flawed. | 因为民主是有弊端的 |
[40:09] | And the next candidate who doesn’t let you down | 下一个不会让你失望的候选人 |
[40:12] | will be the first. | 就排在首位 |
[40:13] | I just flew halfway around the world | 我刚飞了半个地球 |
[40:15] | to recover the bodies of patriots | 去寻找那些为了保护这个国家 |
[40:17] | who gave their lives to protect this country. | 而奉献生命的爱国者的遗体 |
[40:19] | They died along with hundreds of thousands | 他们和成千上万的美国人一起 |
[40:23] | of Americans in too many wars | 在无数场战争中死去 |
[40:25] | so Alison McCord could have the right to vote. | 才换来你艾莉森·麦考德的选举权 |
[40:27] | And you won’t honor that | 你却因为你的同伴在一个小问题上退缩 |
[40:29] | because your guy caved on a single issue? | 就放弃这个权利 |
[40:34] | My polling place is in Silver Spring. | 我的投票站在银泉市 |
[40:36] | – I won’t even make it in time. – That’s what a motorcade is for. | -我都来不及了 -要车队是干嘛的 |
[40:38] | I’ll drop you off on my way to Dover. | 我去多佛 捎你过去 |
[40:40] | Get dressed. | 换衣服去 |
[41:15] | Present… | 入场… |
[41:17] | arms! | 行礼 |
[41:43] | Ready. | 准备 |
[41:44] | Down. | 放下 |
[41:52] | Ready. | 准备 |
[41:53] | Cover. | 整理国旗 |
[41:56] | Order… | 立正 |
[41:58] | arms! | 行礼 |