时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | – Damn it. – Agendas? | -该死 -日程 |
[00:03] | – You left them in the printer. – Thank you. | -你忘在打印机上了 -谢谢 |
[00:06] | This is your Sunday look? | 你周日也穿成这样吗 |
[00:07] | Elegance has no schedule. | 优雅是不分时间的 |
[00:09] | – Cookie? – Oh, yes. | -吃曲奇吗 -好 |
[00:11] | – I’ll take a cookie. – Mike? | -我来块曲奇 -麦克 |
[00:12] | – No. – How about in a circle? | -不要 -摆成一个圆圈怎么样 |
[00:15] | – Yeah. – Excuse me. | -嗯 -借过 |
[00:16] | Sorry. Uh, yeah. | 抱歉 可以啊 |
[00:17] | Uh, right there next to the secretary. | 那边 就在国务卿旁边吧 |
[00:19] | I got you. | 没问题 |
[00:20] | Who put their bag there? | 谁把包放那了 |
[00:21] | It’s Mike B’s. | 麦克·B的 |
[00:22] | Next time you got to pee on the chair. | 下次你得在椅子上尿上一泡才行 |
[00:26] | Hey, Jeff. | 你好 杰夫 |
[00:28] | Yeah, okay, I’ll let her in. | 好 我去给她开门 |
[00:29] | No, no, no, no. I’ll let her in. | 不 我去给她开 |
[00:32] | You have to go upstairs. | 你得要上楼去啊 |
[00:33] | Oh, that’s right. Stevie. | 哦 对了 斯蒂芬 |
[00:35] | – Come on. – Yes. I’m right here. | -来吧 -我就在这呢 |
[00:36] | Time to go into exile. | 被流放的时间到了 |
[00:37] | I didn’t make up the rules about… | 白宫员工不得参加助选活动的规矩 |
[00:39] | White House employees staying out of campaigns. | 可不是我制定的 |
[00:41] | And the two of you, shoo. | 你们俩 快点 |
[00:42] | Guys, did neither of you hear the timer? | 你们俩都没听到计时器的提示音吗 |
[00:43] | Oh, shoot, sorry. You put me on cleanup duty. | 糟了 抱歉 你派我做清扫的活啊 |
[00:46] | Hey, guys, ah. A presidential campaign | 伙计们 总统竞选 |
[00:47] | is about to kick off in our living room. | 就要在我们的客厅启动了 |
[00:49] | – A little excitement. – I’m very excited. | -大家振作点 -我太激动了 |
[00:50] | – Ooh, there we go. – Great British Baking Show? | -这就对了 -这是《大英烘焙大赛》吗 |
[00:53] | You kidding? It’s Shark Week. | 开玩笑吧 这是《鲨鱼周》 |
[00:55] | Okay! People! | 大家注意 |
[00:57] | – Now that everybody’s here… – That’s my seat. | -大家都到了… -那是我的座儿 |
[00:58] | I would like to call to order | 在此我正式宣布 |
[01:00] | the first official Elizabeth McCord kitchen cabinet. | 第一届伊丽莎白·麦考德官方参谋会[厨房内阁]开始 |
[01:03] | I like it. | 这个不错 |
[01:04] | And just as a reminder, | 提醒一下 |
[01:06] | you’re all here voluntarily outside your government duties. | 各位都是以政府职务以外的身份自愿来的 |
[01:08] | That means that nothing we talk about tonight, | 那就意味着我们今天晚上讨论的任何事情 |
[01:11] | by law, can be discussed at the State Department. | 按照法律规定 都不得在国务院提及 |
[01:13] | No accidental breakroom check-ins. | 不得在茶水间随意查问进度 |
[01:16] | No e-mails from State. | 不能用国务院的邮箱 |
[01:17] | – Nothing. – And now | -都不可以 -现在呢 |
[01:18] | I will turn this meeting over to the next president | 我把会议交给下一任 |
[01:20] | of the United States, Elizabeth McCord. | 美国总统伊丽莎白·麦考德 |
[01:26] | Thank you, everyone. | 谢谢大家 |
[01:27] | Oh! And I have to thank Stevie, | 我必须要谢谢斯蒂芬 |
[01:30] | especially for those cookies. | 为我们做了曲奇 |
[01:32] | – Yes, thank you, Stevie. – Thank you, Stevie. | -谢谢斯蒂芬 -谢谢斯蒂芬 |
[01:33] | I made them, too. | 我也参加了啊 |
[01:34] | Can we have an oven on the tour bus? | 我们能在竞选旅行大巴上放个烤箱吗 |
[01:36] | – No. – Not really. But sort of. | -不行 -恐怕不行 类似的东西呢 |
[01:38] | That would be… Okay, forget it. | 那样就… 算了 |
[01:40] | Number one topic tonight is the launch of the campaign, | 今晚会议的第一个议题是竞选的启动 |
[01:43] | which we think will be in two weeks. | 我们想会是在两周以后 |
[01:45] | – Ten days. – So… | -十天以后 -那… |
[01:47] | – Ten days. – Ten days. | -十天以后 -十天 |
[01:49] | Are we, uh, sure the speech is ready? | 我们确定演讲稿已经写好了吗 |
[01:52] | It’s a masterpiece. I made a few tweaks. | 绝对的经典之作 我做了一些微调 |
[01:54] | That brings me to our next topic, | 那就引出了我们下一个议题 |
[01:55] | defining everyone’s role in the campaign. | 确定每个人在竞选中的角色 |
[01:57] | Most of us will have the same title | 我们大多数人会是和我们现在 |
[01:58] | we now have at State. | 在国务院的头衔一样 |
[02:00] | With a much higher level of intensity. | 但强度会大得多 |
[02:01] | This isn’t gonna be some | 这可不是日内瓦召开的 |
[02:03] | cushy conference in Geneva, people. | 什么轻松愉快的会议 |
[02:04] | This is the longest marathon | 这是你们人生中 |
[02:06] | of your lives, running uphill the whole way | 最漫长的马拉松 一路都是上坡 |
[02:08] | with this woman’s campaign agenda | 你们要把这位女士的竞选日常 |
[02:10] | carved into your foreheads. | 刻到自己的额头上 |
[02:12] | – You got me? – Are we joining a cult? | -明白了吗 -我们是加入了一个邪教吗 |
[02:13] | – It sounds like a cult. – Right? | -听着像是个邪教 -对吧 |
[02:15] | It’s a team, and we’re all in it together, | 是个团队 我们都在一起努力 |
[02:17] | so for now rest up, get your annual checkups | 现在呢尽量休息放松 把你们的年度体检 |
[02:20] | and dentist appointments out of the way, | 牙医预约什么的都搞定 |
[02:22] | and try and enjoy the calm before the storm. | 尽量享受风暴来临前的宁静 |
[02:24] | The fight of our lives. | 是我们此生最重要的战斗 |
[02:26] | Uh, excuse me. Mom, | 对不起 妈妈 |
[02:27] | security said that Russell Jackson’s here. | 安保说拉塞尔·杰克逊来了 |
[02:29] | – Oh. – We’ve got room for him if he wants in. | -哦 -如果他想参加的话我们还有地方 |
[02:31] | We-we do? | 有吗 |
[02:33] | Let’s take five. | 我们休息五分钟 |
[02:34] | Yeah, hey, there’s-there’s more cookies in the kitchen. | 厨房里还有曲奇呢 |
[02:36] | – Oh, there’s cookies? – Yeah. | -还有曲奇 -太好了 |
[02:38] | Hey, Russell. | 拉塞尔 |
[02:40] | Didn’t realize I was crashing a party. | 没想到我不请自来闯到你们的聚会里了 |
[02:42] | You’re always on the guest list. | 永远欢迎您来参加 |
[02:46] | An article’s coming out in the next few days | 过几天 《华盛顿纪事报》 |
[02:48] | in the Washington Chronicle | 会发个文章 |
[02:50] | alleging an intimate relationship | 声称伊丽莎白和康拉德 |
[02:52] | between Elizabeth and Conrad | 在他们在中情局共事期间 |
[02:55] | during their days at CIA. | 关系暧昧 |
[02:57] | – What? – Okay. | -什么 -好吧 |
[02:58] | – Who’s the source? – No, who’s the reporter? | -消息来源是谁 -不 记者是谁 |
[02:59] | Some stringer named Terrence Robinson. | 一个叫特伦斯·罗宾逊的特约记者 |
[03:01] | We don’t know where he’s getting his info. | 我们不知道他是从哪里得到的这信息 |
[03:03] | Well, that is straight-up defamation. | 这是完全的诽谤 |
[03:05] | No, this is good. | 不 这个很好 |
[03:06] | That means they have nothing in their oppo file | 如果这么早他们就开始炮制这种东西的话 |
[03:08] | if they’re making stuff up this early. | 那就意味着他们的对手档案里什么都没有 |
[03:09] | Unless they’re not making it up, | 除非这不是他们编出来的 |
[03:10] | – which we’ll talk later. – They’re making it up, Mike. | -那样我们等下再谈 -是他们编的麦克 |
[03:12] | All right, well, the Chronicle called the White House | 行了 《纪事报》打电话问白宫 |
[03:14] | for comment, and we declined. | 有何评价 我们拒绝回应了 |
[03:15] | Most likely they’ll be reaching out to you next. | 很有可能他们下一步会联系你 |
[03:18] | Well, I absolutely want to comment. | 我绝对有话要说 |
[03:20] | Well, that’s up to you and your team. | 那就是你和你的竞选团队的事了 |
[03:22] | Obviously you’ve got more at stake | 竞选就要开始了 |
[03:23] | with your campaign coming. | 很明显你的风险更大 |
[03:25] | That’s why we’re not giving this any oxygen. | 所以我们不会给这个消息任何发酵的机会 |
[03:27] | But it’s a complete load of crap. | 但这就是彻头彻尾的胡说 |
[03:30] | Ignore it, it’s one news cycle. Answer it, | 如果不回应 人们会逐渐淡忘 如果回应了 |
[03:32] | it follows us the rest of the campaign. | 这个谣言会跟着你直到竞选结束 |
[03:34] | What if we do some digging into the reporter? | 我们能不能挖一挖那个记者呢 |
[03:36] | – Discredit the article as blatantly biased. – Sure, | -说那篇文章明显有偏见 -没问题 |
[03:38] | wage war on the press ten days before we announce. | 在宣布竞选的十天前向媒体发起战争 |
[03:40] | It’s a brilliant strategy. | 真是完美的策略 |
[03:41] | Not answering makes it look like | 不回应会让我们看起来 |
[03:42] | we have something to hide. | 在隐藏什么 |
[03:47] | Okay, we push the announcement three days | 好吧 我们推迟三天宣布竞选 |
[03:49] | until the air is clear. | 等事件平息 |
[03:50] | In the meantime the only thing | 同时 你只能谈论 |
[03:51] | you talk about is policy, okay? | 和政策有关的内容 好吗 |
[03:54] | Let’s get back to the meeting. | 我们继续开会 |
[03:55] | Let’s go, people! | 开会了 |
[03:57] | “She’s not likable.” | “她很不讨人喜欢” |
[03:58] | “I don’t want to have a beer with her.” | “我不想和她共饮啤酒” |
[04:02] | “I hate her voice.” I mean, these are the things | “我讨厌她的声音” 我预想过 |
[04:04] | that I was ready for, | 会受到这种批评 |
[04:05] | but “She slept her way to the top”? | 但是”她一路睡到了高层” |
[04:09] | What century are we in? | 这都什么年代了 |
[04:11] | It just means they’re terrified. | 这只能说明他们害怕了 |
[04:13] | No. This works, Henry. | 不 这方法很有用 亨利 |
[04:15] | This taps right into America’s id. | 这正好触到了美国人的神经 |
[04:19] | And it works with women just as well as men. | 这方法对男人和女人都管用 |
[04:23] | Well, can you find out where it’s coming from | 你能找出是谁造的谣 |
[04:25] | and shut it down? | 然后堵住他的嘴吗 |
[04:28] | I mean, | 我是说 |
[04:29] | there were always these stupid jokes | 中情局的人以前经常 |
[04:32] | at CIA about Conrad and me. | 拿我和康拉德开一些愚蠢的玩笑 |
[04:35] | Isabelle and I used to laugh about ’em. | 我和伊莎贝尔以前还觉得很好笑 |
[04:41] | We have to tell the kids. | 我们得跟孩子们说清楚 |
[04:47] | Yeah, we do. | 没错 |
[04:54] | Morning, ma’am. | 早上好 国务卿 |
[04:55] | Morning. | 早上好 |
[04:56] | Hey. I saw your draft | 我看了你的 |
[04:58] | of the Global Climate Migration Agreement. | 《全球气候移民协议》草稿 |
[05:01] | You must have been up half the night. | 你晚上没睡几个小时吧 |
[05:03] | I’m all right. | 我没事 |
[05:06] | You don’t seem lit up by the thrill of negotiating shelter | 我们要为今后一百年里流离失所的人们 |
[05:11] | for the displaced people of the next hundred years. | 协商安排去处 你似乎并不兴奋啊 |
[05:14] | Thrill got dampened by this. | 这个让我兴奋不起来 |
[05:15] | From East Asia and Pacific Affairs. | 这是东亚和太平洋事务局发来的 |
[05:19] | Oh, what the hell? | 怎么回事 |
[05:21] | We knew China was trying to break into | 我们知道中国在试图进入 |
[05:22] | the private jet industry. | 私人飞机领域 |
[05:24] | A custom jet for General Bo Htun? | 薄熙屯将军的定制飞机 |
[05:27] | Hey, what’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[05:29] | China just violated economic sanctions against Myanmar. | 中国违反了对缅甸的经济制裁 |
[05:32] | By selling a private jet to the military leader | 他们卖了一架私人飞机 |
[05:34] | of one of the poorest countries in Asia. | 给亚洲最穷国之一的军事领袖 |
[05:36] | You know, why hide the corruption? | 腐败为什么要藏着掖着呢 |
[05:38] | It’s so much easier this way. | 这样多好 |
[05:40] | A total slap in the face right when | 在我们正在谈判协议的时刻 |
[05:41] | we’re negotiating the deal. | 这简直是当头一棒 |
[05:42] | It’s China. | 是中国 |
[05:43] | They’re doing it because they know we need them | 他们这么做是因为他们知道 |
[05:45] | on the Climate Migration deal. | 我们在气候移民协议上需要他们 |
[05:46] | One jet sale is worth it to threaten the whole deal? | 为了卖一架飞机值得他们威胁退出协议吗 |
[05:49] | I want to put out a statement. Strong. | 我要发布一份声明 强硬的声明 |
[05:50] | – Don’t hold back. – On it. | -不要有所保留 -遵命 |
[05:53] | There is the larger issue. | 还有更大的问题 |
[05:55] | Yeah, I know. | 我知道 |
[05:57] | Myanmar is all but getting away | 罗兴亚大屠杀之后 |
[05:58] | with the Rohingya massacre. | 缅甸几乎没有受到影响 |
[06:00] | They’ve met none of the demands of repatriation, | 他们没有完成遣返的要求 |
[06:02] | hundreds of thousands of Rohingya people still stuck | 几十万罗兴亚人还困在 |
[06:04] | in camps in Bangladesh. | 孟加拉的难民营里 |
[06:06] | And the world is moving on, playing politics, selling jets. | 其他国家也不追究了 玩弄政治 卖起了飞机 |
[06:11] | It’s Rwanda all over again. | 和卢旺达大屠杀一样 |
[06:16] | Nina, get me our U.N. ambassador. | 妮娜 帮我联系驻联合国大使 |
[06:19] | Of course, ma’am. | 没问题 国务卿 |
[06:21] | I share your outrage. | 我和你一样愤怒 |
[06:22] | The Rohingya massacre | 罗兴亚大屠杀 |
[06:24] | is one of the worst human atrocities | 是过去二十年来 |
[06:25] | in the last 20 years. | 最可怕的人类罪行 |
[06:29] | And President U Khaing? | 卡因总统怎么样了 |
[06:30] | Might as well be back under house arrest. | 可能在家被软禁着呢 |
[06:33] | He’s completely under the thumb of the generals. | 他完全受那些将军们的支配 |
[06:35] | Who are getting away with murder– in a private jet. | 将军们正在私人飞机里逍遥法外呢 |
[06:38] | Thanks, Jen. | 谢谢 珍 |
[06:40] | We can step up the sanctions. | 我们可以加大制裁 |
[06:43] | Because it worked so well the first time? | 因为之前的制裁很有效吗 |
[06:47] | If you really want to go rogue, | 如果你真的想用狠招 |
[06:49] | we can call an international criminal tribunal | 我们可以去联合国 |
[06:51] | at the U.N. | 启动国际刑事法庭 |
[06:52] | Prosecute Bo Htun | 以违反《日内瓦公约》 |
[06:54] | and his cronies for violations to the Geneva Convention | 和反人类罪的罪名 |
[06:57] | and crimes against humanity. | 起诉薄熙屯和他的同伙 |
[06:59] | Well, I like the sound of that. | 听起来不错 |
[07:01] | It’s only been done once before, with Bosnia. | 只有一个先例 就是波斯尼亚大屠杀 |
[07:03] | Miloaevic weaponized mob violence | 米洛舍维奇用暴力武装 |
[07:05] | – against a Muslim ethnic minority. – So there’s precedent. | -屠杀一个穆斯林少数群体 -所以有先例 |
[07:07] | We can point up the parallels. | 我们可以对比这两个案例 |
[07:09] | Does this pass at the U.N.? | 有可能在联合国通过吗 |
[07:10] | It could take years. | 可能会需要好几年 |
[07:11] | And even if we get some convictions, | 而且即使审判成功了 |
[07:13] | we’ll have no way to enforce the sentences. | 我们也没有办法实施判决 |
[07:15] | It would put the regime on notice. | 但会对这个国家起到警示作用 |
[07:17] | Show ’em that the rest of the world hasn’t looked away. | 告诉他们其他国家还关注着这件事 |
[07:20] | If the resolution passes, and for that we need China. | 如果要通过这个决议 我们需要中国支持 |
[07:23] | You get the other members. I’ll work on China. | 你去搞定其他国家 我来负责中国 |
[07:25] | Thank you, Peter. | 谢谢你 彼得 |
[07:26] | So, Nina, | 妮娜 |
[07:27] | I’m sure you’re aware the State Department | 我想你应该知道国务院 |
[07:29] | is about to undergo some changes. | 马上要有很大的变化 |
[07:32] | You mean the secretary’s about to announce | 你是指国务卿要宣布 |
[07:34] | her presidential run, which is so exciting. | 竞选总统了吗 真令人激动 |
[07:36] | I can’t discuss that, but, yes, it’s very exciting. | 我不能讨论这个 但确实很令人激动 |
[07:39] | The secretary would like the incoming team to have | 国务卿希望新的团队 |
[07:41] | some continuity for the transition. | 能维持一定的稳定性 |
[07:43] | We were hoping that you would be willing to stay. | 我们希望你能够留下 |
[07:46] | Of course. I’d be honored. | 当然 我很荣幸 |
[07:47] | Deputy Secretary Cushing, right? | 副国务卿库欣要上任 是吧 |
[07:49] | Actually, the deputy secretary has chosen to retire, | 副国务卿选择退休了 |
[07:52] | and Deputy Secretary Bailey will step in | 副国务卿贝利将上任 |
[07:54] | for the remainder of the Dalton administration. | 继续为道尔顿政府服务 |
[07:55] | Oh. You’d report to him in your current capacity. | 今后你要向他汇报工作 |
[07:58] | He’s already agreed | 因为国务卿女士的推荐 |
[07:59] | based on the secretary’s recommendation. | 他已经同意让你留下 |
[08:01] | Wonderful. | 太棒了 |
[08:02] | Uh, thanks, so I’ll fill you in more in the coming days, | 谢谢 今后几天我会再告诉你更多 |
[08:05] | – but if you’ll excuse… – Sure. | -但失陪一下… -好的 |
[08:09] | Uh, Daisy? | 黛西 |
[08:10] | – Can I grab a moment? – Is it me, | -能跟你谈谈吗 -是我的问题 |
[08:11] | or did this coffee take a serious nosedive? | 还是咖啡质量严重下降了 |
[08:14] | Blake abdicated coffee duties. | 布莱克放弃他的咖啡任务了 |
[08:16] | Can he take over for the campaign? | 他能接管竞选的事吗 |
[08:18] | Uh, sorry. I forgot about the rule. | 抱歉 我忘了规矩 |
[08:21] | We’re expecting a call from the Chronicle asking for comment | 《纪事报》会来电话 请我们对 |
[08:24] | on an article alleging the secretary had a previous | 宣称国务卿曾与总统有亲密关系的报道 |
[08:26] | intimate relationship with the president. | 发表评论 |
[08:28] | Uh– say that again? | 再说一遍 |
[08:30] | Before he was the president. | 那是在他当上总统之前 |
[08:32] | Our answer is “No comment.” | 我们的回答是”不予置评” |
[08:37] | You realize it’s gonna sound like she did have | 你觉得这样听起来好像 |
[08:39] | an intimate relationship with the president. | 她确实跟总统有过亲密关系 |
[08:41] | I do. | 没错 |
[08:43] | Talk to Mike B. | 找麦克·B说吧 |
[08:45] | Wait, so did she? | 等等 那她到底有过吗 |
[08:51] | Elizabeth. | 伊丽莎白 |
[08:53] | I’m gonna miss these conversations. | 我会想念这些谈话的 |
[08:55] | I’m calling to discuss your troubled neighbor. | 我打过来是要讨论你那个麻烦的邻居 |
[08:58] | You’ll have to be more specific. | 你必须说得更具体点 |
[09:00] | Myanmar, the Rohingya people. | 缅甸 罗兴亚人 |
[09:02] | Tanks are still torching whole villages, | 坦克还在摧毁一座又一座村庄 |
[09:05] | soldiers killing mothers in front of their children, | 士兵在孩子面前杀戮他们的母亲 |
[09:07] | more than 700,000 forced from their homes. | 七十多万人被迫流离失所 |
[09:11] | The economic sanctions are clearly failing. | 经济制裁显然是失败了 |
[09:14] | We believe the time has come | 我们觉得是时候 |
[09:15] | to step up our efforts, | 采取更强有力的措施了 |
[09:17] | and I hope President Li will join the United States | 我希望李主席可以跟美国一起 |
[09:19] | in calling for a U.N. special tribunal | 组建一个联合国特别法庭 |
[09:22] | to charge General Bo Htun and his regime with violations | 起诉薄熙屯将军和他的政权 |
[09:27] | of the Geneva Convention and crimes against humanity. | 违反日内瓦公约以及反人道的罪行 |
[09:30] | As troubling as Myanmar’s actions have been, | 虽然缅甸的行为造成了很多麻烦 |
[09:32] | China sees this as a domestic response | 但中国一直把这看作是该国对 |
[09:34] | to a dissident uprising. | 持不同政见者起义的应对方式 |
[09:36] | It’s not our concern. | 这不关我们的事 |
[09:38] | Can I speak frankly, Ming? | 我能坦白说吗 明 |
[09:42] | I think your regime | 我觉得贵国政府 |
[09:44] | is afraid that joining a call for a U.N. tribunal | 害怕一起呼吁联合国法庭 |
[09:47] | to prosecute the violation | 起诉违反人权 |
[09:49] | of human rights might bring a little too much attention | 这会让国际社会更加关注 |
[09:52] | to China’s mistreatment | 中国对本国 |
[09:54] | of its own minority Uyghur population. | 维族人的虐待 |
[09:57] | That is frank. | 还真够坦白的 |
[10:00] | Right now the United States sees a difference | 目前 美国明白你们非法拘押 |
[10:03] | between your unlawful detention | 受迫害的少数民族与 |
[10:05] | of a persecuted minority and Myanmar opening fire | 缅甸向妇女和儿童开火 |
[10:09] | on women and children. | 是不一样的 |
[10:11] | But if China continues to violate the economic sanctions | 但如果中国继续通过向缅甸将军 |
[10:15] | by selling private jets to generals in Myanmar, | 出售私人飞机来违反对其的经济制裁 |
[10:19] | then we may become more concerned | 那么我们可能会更加关注 |
[10:22] | about the human rights abuses in China. | 中国对人权的践踏 |
[10:24] | It’s always impressive, | 领导人在离任之前 |
[10:25] | the amount of strength leaders wield | 总是会好好地 |
[10:26] | when they’re about to leave office. | 炫耀一番自己的强大实力 |
[10:28] | I’ll have plenty of strength in my next office. | 我下一个职务的实力也不容小觑 |
[10:32] | But I’d much prefer to work with you, Ming. | 但我更想跟你合作 明 |
[10:36] | I can discuss the idea of a tribunal. | 我可以跟你讨论特别法庭的事 |
[10:40] | But I suggest you take a less threatening approach | 但我建议你在下一个职务中尽量避免采用 |
[10:42] | in your new office. | 威胁的方式 |
[10:44] | Whatever that might be. | 不管是什么职务 |
[10:48] | Damn. Way to sweeten the moral authority | 好家伙 原始力量真是 |
[10:50] | with a little raw power. | 收买道德权威的好办法 |
[10:52] | Felt like it was getting through. | 我觉得应该搞定了 |
[10:54] | – Sorry to interrupt, ma’am. – What’s up? | -抱歉打扰一下 国务卿女士 -怎么了 |
[10:55] | We knew you’d want to see this. | 我们知道你会想看看这个 |
[10:56] | Callister’s announcing his campaign. | 卡利斯特宣布参加大选 |
[10:58] | America, America, your soul is on the line. | 美国啊美国 当华盛顿开始扮演世界警察时 |
[11:01] | While Washington plays world cop, | 你的灵魂就已陷入危机 |
[11:04] | pouring our nation’s blood and treasure into | 把我们国家的鲜血和财富抛向 |
[11:07] | every broken-down, lawless country in the world, | 世界上所有四分五裂 目无法纪的国家 |
[11:10] | the American dream at home is dying. | 而本土的美国梦正在消亡 |
[11:15] | Uh, taxed… taxed to death, | 纳税 纳税至死 |
[11:18] | invaded by every criminal, every drug dealer, | 那些涌入我国边境的罪犯 毒枭 |
[11:20] | every gang member flooding over our nation’s borders. | 和帮派成员正在涌入我们的国土 |
[11:23] | Kick them out! | 把他们踢出去 |
[11:24] | People who don’t speak our language, | 他们不会说我们的语言 |
[11:26] | people who don’t respect our flag, | 不尊重我们的国旗 |
[11:28] | people who don’t respect our god. | 不尊重我们的上帝 |
[11:32] | What is that? | 这是什么 |
[11:32] | Is that a campaign announcement or a call to revolt? | 是竞选宣言还是动员大家造反 |
[11:35] | …that they don’t know who they are messing with. | 他们不知道自己的对手是谁 |
[11:39] | We, the people, will rise | 是我们 美国人民 我们要站起来 |
[11:40] | to show them who the real Americans are. | 让他们看看真正的美国人是什么样的 |
[11:42] | We will rise! We will rise! | 我们要崛起 我们要崛起 |
[11:45] | When Owen Callister is president, | 等到欧文·卡利斯特当上总统 |
[11:47] | there will be no more surrender. | 美国将不再屈服 |
[11:50] | We will rise. | 我们要崛起 |
[11:51] | He raised over a million dollars in less than an hour. | 他在一小时之内就募集了一百多万美元 |
[11:55] | I say, bring it. | 要我说 放马过来吧 |
[11:56] | We can fight that. | 我们可以打败他 |
[11:58] | Yeah, except I just finished begging China | 没错 只不过我刚刚求过中国 |
[12:02] | to help us fight nationalism around the world. | 跟我们一起对抗全世界的民族主义 |
[12:05] | We will rise! We will rise! | 我们要崛起 我们要崛起 |
[12:07] | And now it’s running for president. | 现在却有位民族主义者在竞选总统 |
[12:09] | We will rise! | 我们要崛起 |
[12:10] | We will rise! We will rise! | 我们要崛起 我们要崛起 |
[12:34] | Hey, Mom. | 妈妈 |
[12:36] | Is it game night, or…? | 今晚是游戏之夜 还是… |
[12:38] | No. Uh, Dad said that you wanted | 不 爸爸说你想 |
[12:39] | to talk to us about something. | 跟我们谈些事情 |
[12:42] | Yes. Um… | 是的 |
[12:45] | Oh, God. | 我的天 |
[12:45] | Uh, right. Hold… | 对了 等… |
[12:47] | There you are. Perfect timing. | 你来了 来得正好 |
[12:49] | – Kids are all here. – I-I’m sorry. | -孩子们都在这 -我很抱歉 |
[12:50] | I-I can’t… | 我不能 |
[12:52] | I can’t do this tonight. | 我今晚不行 |
[12:55] | You heard Callister’s announcement. | 你听到卡利斯特的声明了 |
[12:56] | Callister, | 卡利斯特 |
[12:57] | this stupid article, it’s just all so ugly, and I’m… | 这篇愚蠢的文章 都太难看了 我… |
[13:02] | Is something, uh… wrong? | 出什么事…了吗 |
[13:03] | – What’s, uh, going on? – Oh, hi, guys. | -发生什么事了 -孩子们 |
[13:05] | Uh, Mom’s just really tired. | 妈妈只是太累了 |
[13:06] | Let’s just do this some other time, okay? | 我们改天再说这事 好吗 |
[13:08] | Oh, sure. Yeah, that won’t leave us | 当然可以 是 这样不会让我们 |
[13:09] | lying awake in bed all night, wondering if she has cancer. | 躺在床上彻夜不眠 猜她是否得了癌症 |
[13:14] | Okay. Um… | 好吧 |
[13:19] | there’s this article | 有这样一篇文章 |
[13:19] | coming out in the next few days, and | 会在接下来的几天刊登出来 |
[13:22] | it’s going to imply that when I was at the CIA… | 暗示我在中央情报局的时候… |
[13:24] | It’s a hit piece accusing Mom and President Dalton | 是一篇指控妈妈和道尔顿总统 |
[13:27] | of having an affair 20 years ago. | 在20年前有过外遇的黑文 |
[13:29] | – It’s not true, no, it’s not true. – It is not true. | -这是假的 是假的 -这是假的 |
[13:31] | What?! Who’s behind it? | 什么 谁在背后指使 |
[13:32] | W-We don’t know. | 我们不知道 |
[13:34] | How can they just say that | 他们没有证据怎么能 |
[13:35] | – with no proof? – Isn’t that slander? | -这么说呢 -那不是诽谤吗 |
[13:36] | Libel if they publish it. | 他们要是发表就是诽谤 |
[13:38] | Look, we just want you guys to know | 我们只想让你们知道 |
[13:39] | that it’s gonna be out there for a few days. | 那篇文章会流传几天 |
[13:42] | That’s disgusting. | 太恶心了 |
[13:42] | We’re not responding, so it just | 我们不会回应 这样这件事就会 |
[13:45] | goes away with the next crisis, and… I am so sorry. | 被下一个危机冲淡 还有…我很抱歉 |
[13:50] | You do not have to apologize to us. | 你不必向我们道歉 |
[13:52] | Wait, wait. So you’re just gonna let them say that? | 等等 所以你就让他们这么说吗 |
[13:57] | I’m gonna get attacked a lot. | 我会受到很多攻击 |
[14:01] | Just means they’re nervous about me. | 只是说明他们对我很紧张 |
[14:04] | Callister’s speech will | 反正卡利斯特的演讲 |
[14:06] | probably dominate the news anyway. | 很可能会占据新闻头条 |
[14:08] | Yeah, well, that’s the real scandal. | 是啊 那才是真正的丑闻 |
[14:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:12] | If it makes you feel any better, | 我们学校没有人看新闻 |
[14:14] | no one at my school follows the news. | 如果这能让你好受一点 |
[14:19] | So, um, Kat, you know how the secretary | 凯特 你知道在一切 |
[14:23] | was asking us to propose ideas | 发生变化之前 国务卿 |
[14:25] | for workplace improvements at State | 让我们对改善国务院工作环境 |
[14:29] | before things, you know, change over? | 提出一些建议的事吗 |
[14:32] | I do. | 我知道 |
[14:33] | Well, I was doing some research | 我对所谓的”厕所对等倡议” |
[14:35] | into the so-called “Potty parity initiative,” | 进行了一些研究 |
[14:37] | the move to create an equal number of bathrooms | 修建与所有联邦大楼里的 |
[14:40] | for men and women in all federal buildings. | 男人和女人数量对等的厕所的运动 |
[14:42] | Mm-hmm. It died in committee. I’m familiar. | 委员会否决了 我记得 |
[14:45] | Once again, gender neutral bathrooms, | 还是那句话 修建中性卫生间 |
[14:47] | and we’d never have this problem. | 这样就不会再有这个问题 |
[14:49] | Oh, well, one day. | 会有那么一天的 |
[14:50] | You were saying? | 你是说 |
[14:51] | So I was thinking, uh, maybe a half-step would be | 所以我想 或许前进半步就是 |
[14:54] | to get tampon dispensers in all the women’s bathrooms. | 在所有女厕里装卫生棉条发放器 |
[14:58] | Oh. Um, not free tampons, | 不是提供免费的棉条 |
[15:00] | although that would be good, too. | 尽管那样更好 |
[15:02] | Yeah. No, that’s doable. | 对啊 那是可行的 |
[15:03] | I’ll, uh… I’ll take it to the secretary. Thank you. | 我会 我会把话带给国务卿 谢谢 |
[15:08] | Oh, and also, um… | 还有 |
[15:11] | Jay mentioned I would be staying on | 杰伊提到我会留在 |
[15:12] | with the transition team for Acting Secretary Bailey? | 代理国务卿贝利的过渡团队里 |
[15:15] | – Yup, yup, yup. – I’m super grateful | -对对对 -我非常感激 |
[15:16] | for the opportunity, | 能有这次机会 |
[15:17] | and please pass that on to the secretary. | 请转告国务卿 |
[15:18] | – Okay. – But I’d like to request a transfer. | -好的 -但我想申请更换岗位 |
[15:22] | Can I ask why? | 我能问为什么吗 |
[15:24] | I know it’s only hearsay, | 我知道这只是传闻 |
[15:27] | but I’ve heard… | 但我听说… |
[15:29] | I’ve heard some things from women | 我从一些曾经为副国务卿 |
[15:30] | who have worked for Deputy Secretary, | 工作过的女性那里听说过一些事情 |
[15:32] | and I’d rather not put myself in a position | 而我不希望自己处于一个 |
[15:33] | where I’d be reporting directly to him. | 要直接向他汇报工作的岗位上 |
[15:39] | Thank you for letting me know. | 谢谢你告诉我 |
[15:41] | I will take it from here. | 我会处理的 |
[15:47] | So China’s a no-go for the U.N. Tribunal. | 中国不同意联合国法庭制裁 |
[15:49] | I just spoke to Chen yesterday. | 我昨天刚和陈谈过 |
[15:51] | He seemed open to it. | 他好像对此没有异议 |
[15:53] | That was before | 那是在 |
[15:53] | Owen Callister made his campaign announcement. | 欧文·卡利斯特宣布他参与竞选之前 |
[15:55] | – They’re waiting for the dust to settle. – What speech? | -他们在等尘埃落定 -什么演讲 |
[15:58] | How much dust could it have kicked up? | 那能扬起多少灰尘 |
[16:01] | I guess you haven’t seen his poll numbers this morning. | 我猜你今天早上还没看到他的民意调查 |
[16:03] | Look, maybe he appeals to a fringe group, | 或许他得到一个边缘组织的青睐 |
[16:06] | but he can’t possibly get a majority. | 但他不可能获得多数选票 |
[16:08] | Poland, Hungary, Russia. | 波兰 匈牙利 俄罗斯 |
[16:10] | Why not here? | 为什么这不行 |
[16:10] | He convinces just enough voters | 他让足够多的选民相信 |
[16:12] | that he’s the savior of the working class. | 他是工人阶级的救世主 |
[16:14] | So Callister comes out as the dark knight, and that’s it? | 卡利斯特作为黑暗骑士出现 就这样吗 |
[16:17] | We let Myanmar go unpunished? | 我们让缅甸逃过惩罚 |
[16:21] | Well, there are other ways | 还有其他办法 |
[16:23] | of getting the world’s attention. | 来引起全世界的注意 |
[16:27] | I’m listening. | 洗耳恭听 |
[16:29] | So far, our reports have talked | 到目前为止 我们的报告已经提到了 |
[16:32] | about killings and atrocities. | 杀戮和暴行 |
[16:36] | Let’s call it what it is. | 我们干脆把话说明白吧 |
[16:39] | Genocide. | 种族灭绝 |
[16:43] | We couldn’t even call Rwanda genocide at the time. | 卢旺达事件的时候 我们都不能称之为种族灭绝 |
[16:46] | Yeah, but that’s been revised now. | 对 但现在已经修改了 |
[16:48] | That could help us. | 这对我们有帮助 |
[16:53] | And it sends a message to Callister, too. | 同时这也在向卡利斯特发送信息 |
[16:57] | We don’t target minorities here, | 我们不针对少数民族 |
[16:59] | and we don’t tolerate other countries murdering them. | 我们不能容忍其他国家谋杀他们 |
[17:01] | Exactly. | 正是 |
[17:04] | I’m gonna bring it to the president. | 我会跟总统谈谈的 |
[17:05] | Thank you, Peter. | 谢谢你 彼得 |
[17:06] | – I really… appreciate it. – Thank you, ma’am. | -真的很感激 -谢谢 国务卿 |
[17:09] | I waited in a stupidly long line | 我为了一个羊角甜甜圈 |
[17:12] | for what’s supposed to be the next Cronut. | 排了特别长的队 |
[17:13] | Uh, Mike Barnow, ma’am. | 迈克·巴诺 国务卿 |
[17:15] | Thanks, Blake. | 谢谢 布莱克 |
[17:17] | This is to keep you | 这是为了让你 |
[17:17] | off-line for the next two days, possibly the week. | 今后两天保持离线 或许一周 |
[17:21] | The article came out? | 文章发布了 |
[17:22] | Drops within the hour. | 一小时内发布 |
[17:23] | Stay inside, don’t look at any memes or tweets, | 别露面 别上网看任何表情包和推文 |
[17:26] | and for God’s sake, | 看在上帝的份上 |
[17:27] | don’t read it. | 别看那篇文章 |
[17:28] | Why would I do that? | 非得如此吗 |
[17:30] | 华盛顿纪事报 伊丽莎白·麦考德与康拉德·道尔顿之中情局往事 关于亲密关系的流言 作者 特伦斯·罗宾逊 | |
[17:40] | Hey, Richard, can you reschedule my lunch today? | 理查德 我今天的午餐改期 |
[17:42] | Something came up. | 有突发状况 |
[17:43] | Sure thing, Dr. McCord. | 当然可以 麦考德博士 |
[17:44] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[17:53] | – Henry. – Isabelle. | -亨利 -伊莎贝尔 |
[17:55] | – So good to see you. – You, too. | -见到你真高兴 -我也是 |
[17:58] | How long has it been? | 我们多久没见了 |
[17:59] | Oh, gosh, uh, | 哦 老天 |
[18:01] | Elizabeth’s last birthday dinner? | 伊丽莎白上个生日聚会 |
[18:02] | Oh. God, I’m the worst. | 哦 上帝 我真差劲 |
[18:04] | No, I think we hold that honor– | 是我们应该尽地主之谊 |
[18:06] | I mean, we keep talking about seeing you | 我们总说想去看你 |
[18:07] | – and then there’s always… – Oh, I-I know. | -却总是有事耽搁 -我懂 |
[18:09] | Work is so crazy. I’ve been buying this house up in Maryland. | 工作太忙 我正忙着在马里兰买房子 |
[18:12] | Oh, uh, well, that’s great. | 哦 太好了 |
[18:15] | Yeah, it’s no horse farm in Virginia. | 是啊 弗吉尼亚没有马场 |
[18:17] | But you got to retire somewhere. | 总得为退休找个好去处 |
[18:18] | Listen, by the time we get all three kids | 听着 等到三个孩子都念完大学 |
[18:19] | through college, I don’t know if we’re retiring with a farm. | 我不知道退休时我们还能否过上田园生活 |
[18:23] | Oh, you know what? Just coffee, thank you. | 来杯咖啡就行 谢谢 |
[18:27] | Somehow I think you two | 不知怎的 我就是觉得 |
[18:29] | are on to bigger things before you’re done. | 你俩在退休前还能晋升 |
[18:31] | Well, we’re hoping to stay in government. | 我们希望一直呆在政府机构 |
[18:33] | – Mm-hmm. – But, um… | -嗯 -可是 |
[18:36] | articles like the one that came out today | 像今天登出来的文章 |
[18:38] | don’t exactly help. | 对我们非常不利 |
[18:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:46] | I almost called Bess as soon as I read it. | 我看完差点给贝丝打电话 |
[18:51] | – She doesn’t know I’m here. – Oh. | -她不知道我今天约了你 -是吗 |
[18:54] | Listen, I’ve got to ask you. | 我得问你个事 |
[18:55] | Do you know anyone from your time together at CIA | 跟你同期在中情局供职的人当中 |
[18:57] | who would have done this? | 你觉得有谁会这么做 |
[18:58] | Someone who wants to take Elizabeth down? | 谁想要抹黑伊丽莎白 |
[19:01] | You know, people knew Bess was my friend. | 你知道 人们都知道贝丝是我的朋友 |
[19:03] | They didn’t talk about this stuff around me. | 他们不在我周围谈这些 |
[19:07] | You never heard rumors? | 你从没听过什么谣言 |
[19:10] | Personally? No. | 就我而言 没有 |
[19:12] | Sometimes the Company | 有时候中情局 |
[19:13] | is like high school with encryption. | 就像一所保密高中 |
[19:16] | Somebody wanted to look important to a reporter, | 有人想在记者面前显摆一下 |
[19:19] | at some dinner party, Elizabeth is right | 比如在某个晚会上 伊丽莎白是对的 |
[19:21] | to let it evaporate. | 让它烟消云散 |
[19:23] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[19:26] | Our kids read about this. | 可我们的孩子都看了那篇文章 |
[19:30] | Henry, you know there’s nothing to it, right? | 亨利 你知道这根本是子虚乌有 对吧 |
[19:33] | People used to call them “The Honor Twins.” | 以前同事们常叫他俩”荣誉二人组” |
[19:36] | Elizabeth and Conrad. | 伊丽莎白和康拉德 |
[19:37] | Yeah, not a great reflection on the rest of us, | 对我们都没什么影响 |
[19:39] | but, yeah, there it is. | 但有人还是会非议他俩 |
[19:47] | So… | 我觉得… |
[19:49] | I think I know the source of the story. | 我找到谣言的根源了 |
[19:52] | The one we’re not talking about? | 关于我们不想提的那件事吗 |
[19:56] | – I reached out to Isabelle this afternoon. – Henry. | -我今天下午见了伊莎贝尔 -亨利 |
[19:58] | I just wanted to get her take on it. | 我只想听听她的看法 |
[20:02] | How is that ignoring it? | 你这就叫不在乎此事 |
[20:04] | She completely denied ever hearing the rumors. | 她完全否认听说过这个谣言 |
[20:07] | You told me that you two used to joke about it. | 你跟我说过你们过去还为此开过玩笑 |
[20:10] | So you think Isabelle’s the source? | 所以你觉得是伊莎贝尔造的谣 |
[20:13] | Why would she lie about the rumors? | 否则她干嘛要撒谎 |
[20:15] | I-I don’t even know what to say, I… | 我不知道该说些什么 |
[20:17] | Look, I don’t want to be right, | 我也不希望自己是对的 |
[20:19] | but if she had something to do with it, | 但如果她跟这事有关 |
[20:20] | maybe we could, I don’t know, could ask her to… | 也许我们可以要求她… |
[20:22] | She’s not gonna admit to it if she did do it. | 就算是她 她也不会承认的 |
[20:27] | It doesn’t make any sense. | 真是莫名其妙 |
[20:29] | I think she’s resentful of your success. | 她厌恶你的成就 |
[20:32] | You never know how that’s gonna affect people. | 你不知道这会让人有多嫉妒 |
[20:38] | Look, I know we were supposed to ignore it. | 我明白我们应该忽略此事 |
[20:40] | But… | 可是… |
[20:41] | after I read the article… | 看完那篇文章后… |
[20:43] | Is it bad? | 很糟糕吗 |
[20:44] | Uh, it’s all… “alleged” | 通篇都是”据说” |
[20:47] | and… “rumored.” | “据谣传” |
[20:50] | So, as long as there’s no evidence to back it up… | 因此 只要没有证据支持… |
[20:54] | Are you-you asking me if I had an affair with Conrad? | 你在质问我 是否曾与康拉德出轨吗 |
[20:58] | No. Of course not. | 不 当然不是 |
[21:04] | See, this-this is how it works. | 看到了吧 这事产生效果了 |
[21:06] | This is the poison. | 这简直是毒药 |
[21:07] | I don’t doubt you. | 我不怀疑你 |
[21:10] | But you were halfway around the world, | 但当时我们在地球两端 |
[21:12] | i-it was a rough time for us… | 那是我们的艰难时期 |
[21:13] | – Nothing happened! – I know. | -什么都没有发生 -我知道 |
[21:15] | – Ever. I… – I know. | -从没有 我… -我知道 |
[21:20] | Yeah. | 什么事 |
[21:24] | well, that’s odd. | 真奇怪 |
[21:26] | Let him in, Matt, thank you. | 让他进来 马特 谢谢 |
[21:30] | Governor of Massachusetts is here. | 马萨诸塞州州长来了 |
[21:34] | Governor Hayes. | 海斯州长 |
[21:35] | U-Uh, please come in. | 请进 |
[21:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:39] | I’m sorry to stop in unannounced. | 抱歉不请自来 |
[21:41] | Oh, it’s– yeah, hi. | 哦… 你好 |
[21:44] | I, um… | 我呢… |
[21:45] | was hoping to discuss your future plans. | 想讨论一下你的未来计划 |
[21:49] | Off the record. | 非正式的 |
[21:58] | As a conservative governor of a progressive state, | 作为一个激进州的保守州长 |
[22:01] | I’ve come to appreciate the values of my party | 我一向认同本党派主张的 |
[22:03] | that bring people together: | 具有凝聚力的政治纲领 |
[22:04] | an equal love of liberty and the rule of law, | 平等享有自由和法律权利 |
[22:09] | patriotism, personal responsibility, | 爱国主义 个人义务 |
[22:13] | Those are admirable values. | 这些都是令人钦佩的品质 |
[22:16] | I don’t believe Owen Callister represents those values. | 我不认为欧文·卡利斯特具有这些品质 |
[22:21] | I’m not the only member of the party | 党内不止我一个成员 |
[22:23] | who found his remarks yesterday hateful, | 认为他昨天的发言令人厌恶 |
[22:25] | divisive, fearmongering. | 挑拨离间 妖言惑众 |
[22:26] | Well, he is polling pretty well. | 他的民调结果很好 |
[22:30] | Well, with a certain section of the American people. | 是有一部分美国人民支持 |
[22:33] | We believe another candidate | 但我们相信另一位候选人 |
[22:35] | can bring those people back to the center. | 能够挽回这部分人民的心意 |
[22:39] | Elizabeth, | 伊丽莎白 |
[22:41] | I’m here tonight to ask you to seek the nomination | 我今晚来是想请你争取 |
[22:44] | of the Republican Party for president. | 共和党总统候选人提名 |
[22:51] | Wow. That’s… | 这… |
[22:58] | Can I-I speak frankly, John? | 我能直说吗 约翰 |
[23:01] | Please. | 请说 |
[23:06] | I-I work for a president | 我为一个 |
[23:09] | who turned his back on both parties. | 脱离了两个政党的总统工作 |
[23:10] | Why come to me? | 你为什么来找我 |
[23:12] | Because you’re a worthy candidate. | 因为你是令人尊敬的候选人 |
[23:14] | Well, I appreciate that. | 我很感激你的话 |
[23:16] | I do. But… | 真的 但是… |
[23:20] | I got to tell you, | 我得告诉你 |
[23:21] | when I look at your party’s current platform, | 当我看到你们政党当前的政纲时 |
[23:25] | I-I… I mean, I-I’m about to host | 我是说 我即将主持 |
[23:29] | a global conference on climate change, | 关于气候变化的全球会议 |
[23:32] | and your party can’t even agree that climate is changing. | 而你的政党甚至不承认气候正在变化 |
[23:37] | We need to evolve. | 我们需要进步 |
[23:39] | We’d see your candidacy as an opportunity to do that | 我们将你的候选资格视作是一个进步的机会 |
[23:42] | and, at the same time, come back to the party | 同时 重新回归泰迪·罗斯福和 |
[23:44] | of Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower. | 德怀特·艾森豪威尔的政党 |
[23:47] | A square deal and a strong national defense. | 公正的协议和巩固的国防 |
[23:52] | I think you fit that platform. | 我认为你适合这个政纲 |
[23:54] | And it’s a platform we believe | 而我们也相信这是 |
[23:56] | the majority of Americans will vote for. | 大多数美国人会投票支持的政纲 |
[24:00] | Well, that’s inspiring. | 这很令人振奋 |
[24:01] | And… flattering. | 而且令我受宠若惊 |
[24:05] | But if you’re so alarmed by Owen Callister, | 但如果你们这么反感欧文·卡利斯特 |
[24:08] | why not denounce him? | 为什么不谴责他 |
[24:09] | Where are the public statements? | 为什么不发表公开演讲 |
[24:11] | We don’t want to alienate the people Callister’s talking to. | 我们不想疏远支持卡利斯特的那部分人 |
[24:14] | We want to reach them. | 我们想打动他们 |
[24:17] | We think we can do that with you. | 我们认为我们可以和你一起做到这一点 |
[24:21] | Well, Governor, you, uh… | 州长 我… |
[24:24] | you have given me a lot to think about. | 我得好好考虑一下 |
[24:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:30] | My pleasure. | 我的荣幸 |
[24:32] | Hope you’ll say yes. | 希望你会答应 |
[24:33] | What is there to think about?! | 有什么好考虑的 |
[24:35] | For starters, the fact that she’s aligned with a president | 首先 是她和独立竞选成功的总统 |
[24:37] | who won as an Independent. | 站在同一战线的事实 |
[24:38] | For the first time in history. | 史无前例 |
[24:40] | The chances of that happening a second time | 这种情况 |
[24:41] | are about the same | 再次发生的概率 |
[24:43] | as my son’s chances of getting into Harvard. | 和我儿子进哈佛的概率一样 |
[24:44] | Well, the governor makes one good point: | 州长说到很重要的一点 |
[24:47] | if I join the GOP ticket now, | 如果我现在加入共和党 |
[24:50] | we have a better chance of knocking Callister out early. | 我们更有机会早点让卡利斯特出局 |
[24:52] | What if the governor represents a small faction of the party | 如果州长只代表了党内一小部分人的意见 |
[24:54] | and you don’t win broad support? | 而你得不到广泛的支持呢 |
[24:56] | And then we’re dead in New Hampshire. | 我们在新罕布什尔州就玩完了 |
[24:57] | Have you forgotten who you’re working for? | 你忘了你在为谁工作吗 |
[24:59] | Um, Elizabeth schooled America about nationalism, | 伊丽莎白向美国人传达了民族主义观念 |
[25:01] | and her, and her popularity went up five points. | 她的声望涨了五个点 |
[25:04] | This country’s totally ready to be spanked by Hot Mom. | 这个国家已经准备好接受辣妈的引领了 |
[25:09] | What do you think? | 你怎么想 |
[25:13] | I think that I do line up with some GOP policy positions. | 我认为我确实同意共和党的一些政策主张 |
[25:19] | I think privatization is sometimes more efficient | 我认为私有化有时候 |
[25:24] | than government bureaucracy, | 比政府官僚主义更高效 |
[25:25] | and I’m all for a strong military. | 而且我完全同意强化军事力量 |
[25:28] | And I think… | 我认为… |
[25:30] | we do all win when the government steps back | 当政府让步 允许责任企业繁荣发展 |
[25:33] | and allows responsible businesses to thrive. | 我们才能实现全面共赢 |
[25:37] | But I don’t think that | 但我不认为 |
[25:38] | that means that corporations should pay a lower tax rate | 这意味着企业缴税的税率应该以比教师 |
[25:40] | than schoolteachers. | 更低 |
[25:42] | Of course not. You can– There’s always a way to frame it. | 当然不是 你可以… 总有办法制定政策 |
[25:45] | What happens when I make wealth disparity my key issue? | 如果我把贫富差距作为我的主要议题怎么样 |
[25:49] | Or… | 或者… |
[25:51] | declare that the days of undermining democracy | 宣布通过不公正划分选区破坏民主的时代 |
[25:55] | by gerrymandering are over? | 已经结束了 |
[25:56] | You will trade horses like every other politician. | 你可以像所有其他政客一样讨价还价 |
[25:59] | – She’s not every other politician. – One bonus, | -她和其他政客不一样 -另外 |
[26:01] | I make this call tomorrow, I am pretty sure | 我明天打电话 我敢肯定 |
[26:05] | this whole affair story goes away a lot faster. | 那件风流韵事很快会烟消云散 |
[26:06] | Okay, that… | 对了 这… |
[26:08] | is exactly the kind of political gamesmanship that I hate. | 正是我最讨厌的政治把戏 |
[26:12] | I know that both parties do it. | 我知道两个政党都玩这招 |
[26:15] | But the GOP has a much darker history | 但共和党有更不堪的历史 |
[26:17] | of playing up wedge issues like same-sex marriage | 鼓吹楔子议题 例如同性婚姻 |
[26:21] | just to fire up voters. | 仅仅为了激怒选民 |
[26:23] | When I went to Camp David to think about the candidate | 我去戴维营思考我想成为怎样的候选人时 |
[26:25] | I want to be, none of that was on the list. | 这其中没有一项在考虑范围之内 |
[26:28] | Seems like you know your way forward on this, ma’am. | 看来你知道前进的方向 国务卿 |
[26:30] | Let’s not make any decisions tonight. | 今晚不要做任何决定 |
[26:36] | Let me, let me just, let me just say this: | 我这么说吧 |
[26:38] | no one… gets to shape this country | 一个高尚的候选人如果落选 |
[26:42] | by being the noble candidate who lost. | 也无法改变这个国家 |
[26:46] | We get past the primary | 我们通过初选 |
[26:48] | and get the GOP machine behind us? | 获得共和党核心组织支持 |
[26:50] | Guarantee we win this thing. | 保证能赢 |
[27:02] | Hey, is anyone gonna say anything? | 没人要说点什么吗 |
[27:03] | Like what? | 说什么 |
[27:04] | “Congratulations on your affair with the president”? | “恭喜你和总统的风流韵事” |
[27:06] | Wait. We don’t really think it happened, do we? | 等一下 我们不认为确有其事 不是吗 |
[27:08] | I think it’s none of our business, and, no, | 我认为这不关我们的事 而且是的 |
[27:10] | I don’t think it happened. | 我不认为有这件事 |
[27:13] | Did you see Carrot Top’s tweet? | 你看到”胡萝卜头”的推文了吗 |
[27:15] | You follow Carrot Top? | 你居然关注了”胡萝卜头” |
[27:17] | – Good morning. – Good morning. Ma’am. | -早上好 -早上好 国务卿 |
[27:19] | – Morning. – Good morning. | -早 -早上好 |
[27:22] | Here’s your schedule, and muffin’s on your desk. | 这是您今天的日程 蛋糕在您桌上 |
[27:25] | Okay. | 好的 |
[27:27] | Can I see you in my office, Nina? | 到我办公室来 妮娜 |
[27:29] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[27:33] | Listen, Kat shared with me your concerns about working | 凯特向我汇报了你对于 |
[27:37] | with Deputy Secretary Bailey. | 与副国务卿贝利共事的担忧 |
[27:39] | Oh, gosh, it’s really not that big of a deal. | 天哪 没有那么严重 |
[27:41] | It-it is, | 很严重 |
[27:42] | and-and I’m grateful that you brought it to me. | 我也很感谢 你主动提及这件事 |
[27:46] | Um… look, I’m, I’m happy to transfer you | 不管你想调去哪里 |
[27:51] | wherever you want to go, | 我都乐意支持 |
[27:53] | but for the sake of | 但为了保护 |
[27:54] | everyone else working with the Deputy Secretary, | 其他与副国务卿共事的同事 |
[27:58] | I wonder if you would tell me | 我希望你能 |
[28:01] | a little bit more about what you know. | 具体地说说你知道的情况 |
[28:04] | Well, I don’t, I don’t really want to get anybody in trouble | 我 我不希望仅仅凭借谣言 |
[28:07] | just based on gossip. | 就让别人陷入麻烦 |
[28:10] | Well, trust me, I can appreciate that. | 相信我 我能理解 |
[28:14] | But I’m trying to gather any information I can | 我只是想 尽可能地收集信息 |
[28:17] | to pass it to the Office of Civil Rights for review. | 再报告给民权办公室进行核查 |
[28:21] | Well, from what I’ve read, um, most of those incidents | 据我所知 这些事件 |
[28:24] | have already gone to OCR. | 大多已经报告给民权办了 |
[28:28] | Can I ask where, where you read this? | 能不能说说 你是在哪看到这些信息的 |
[28:34] | oh, gosh. | 天哪 |
[28:35] | Um, okay. | 好吧 |
[28:37] | There’s… a document | 有一份文件 |
[28:39] | that goes around between women federal employees. | 在联邦政府女性工作人员之间流传 |
[28:42] | Mostly lower level. | 大多数是层级比较低的人员 |
[28:45] | Just a private thing, warning each other of | 只是私底下的交流 相互提醒 |
[28:49] | which men to avoid being alone with. | 避免和哪些男性独处 |
[28:52] | And the deputy secretary is in it? | 副国务卿在这个名单上吗 |
[28:56] | Yeah, um, | 是的 |
[28:57] | mostly… | 大多数情况 |
[28:59] | groping and lunging | 是些 肢体接触 |
[29:02] | and some weird comments. | 或是言语骚扰 |
[29:07] | If I assure you that | 如果我向你保证 |
[29:10] | I will protect the identities of the accusers, | 保护投诉人的信息 |
[29:14] | would you be willing to share that document with me? | 能不能把那份文件给我看看 |
[29:22] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[29:30] | For what it’s worth, the president isn’t in it. | 不论如何 总统并没有在这个名单上 |
[29:34] | And I’m really sorry about that article, ma’am. | 关于那篇文章 我很遗憾 国务卿 |
[29:47] | Isabelle. | 伊莎贝尔 |
[29:50] | Bess, oh, my God. | 贝丝 天哪 |
[29:52] | How good to see you. | 见到你真高兴 |
[29:56] | How have you been? | 最近怎么样 |
[29:57] | A little rocky lately. | 有些不太安稳 |
[30:00] | Did you repeat any of the rumors about Conrad and me? | 你有没有对人传播关于我和康拉德的谣言 |
[30:03] | What, you think I’m the source? | 什么 你觉得是我传开去的 |
[30:04] | Henry said he talked to you. | 亨利说 他来找过你 |
[30:06] | Why, why would you say you hadn’t heard anything? | 你为什么告诉他 你什么也没听说过 |
[30:09] | He showed up, he… | 他突然出现 他 |
[30:11] | You know what, can we get in the car? | 能到车里谈吗 |
[30:12] | – I-I’m freezing. – Sure. | -冻死了 -行 |
[30:17] | Henry… | 亨利 |
[30:20] | he showed up out of nowhere. | 他突然间出现 |
[30:22] | He’s obviously stirred up from reading about | 他很显然 被那篇报道他妻子 |
[30:26] | his wife sleeping with her boss. | 和上司有染的文章干扰了情绪 |
[30:29] | When your friend’s husband asks you | 如果你朋友的丈夫来向你求证 |
[30:31] | if it’s true, | 这是不是真的 |
[30:33] | you don’t feed the fire. | 你肯定不会火上浇油 |
[30:39] | – This whole thing… – Yeah. | -这整件事 -的确 |
[30:43] | Do you have any idea who it could’ve been? | 你知不知道是谁干的 |
[30:47] | I mean, it could’ve been a lot of people, Bess. | 很多人都有嫌疑 贝丝 |
[30:50] | Weren’t that many people out to get me. | 那时候也没有这么多人找我麻烦啊 |
[30:52] | Maybe not out to get you, | 可能并不是找你麻烦 |
[30:53] | but if they were asked? They all had eyes. | 或许只是有人问起 有些事情有目共睹 |
[30:56] | Whether anything happened or not, | 不管有没有发生什么 |
[30:58] | he clearly favored you. | 很显然 他很喜欢你 |
[30:59] | Wait… | 等等 |
[31:00] | Look, I know you didn’t cross any lines. | 我知道你从来没有做过越界的事 |
[31:03] | I-I mean, I don’t even think there’s anything wrong | 我的意思是 即使你从中得利 |
[31:04] | with how you benefited from it. | 我也不觉得有什么错 |
[31:08] | – So you think that I… – No. I’m-I’m not… | -所以你觉得我 -不 我不是 |
[31:10] | – used Conrad… – No, I’m not saying you didn’t earn | -利用康拉德 -我并不是说 |
[31:13] | everything that you’ve achieved, | 你的成就不是靠自己得来的 |
[31:15] | and believe me, I will be first in line to vote for you. | 相信我 我绝对是第一个投票支持你的 |
[31:18] | I know it’s totally unfair to you, but | 我知道这对你而言很不公平 但是 |
[31:20] | it’s not hard for people who saw your dynamic with Conrad | 大家都看得到你和康拉德的关系 |
[31:22] | to think there could have been something to those rumors. | 很容易就认为这些传言并非空穴来风 |
[31:42] | The foreign aid bill before the Senate this morning | 今天早上 对外援助法案在参议院 |
[31:45] | generated heated debate. | 引发了激烈讨论 |
[31:47] | I am absolutely opposed to increasing our foreign spending, | 我强烈反对增加对外援助 |
[31:49] | particularly at a time when the chief diplomat | 尤其是在对外代表美国的 |
[31:52] | representing the United States to the rest of the world, | 关键外交官员 |
[31:54] | Elizabeth McCord, brings such | 伊丽莎白·麦考德 |
[31:56] | a shameful example of moral turpitude | 道德败坏 |
[31:59] | and corruption… | 形象腐败的这样一个时候 |
[32:04] | Hey, Jace. | 小杰 |
[32:09] | I was hoping for a sit-down with Secretary McCord | 我希望能找时间和国务卿麦考德聊一聊 |
[32:12] | sooner than later. | 越快越好 |
[32:14] | There are a few initiatives I’d like to go over with her. | 有些项目需要和她过一遍 |
[32:16] | Well, there’s another matter | 我们现在需要 |
[32:17] | we need to discuss first, Deputy Secretary. | 先处理另一件事 副国务卿 |
[32:20] | Hey. Let’s keep it Steven, | 叫我史蒂文就好 |
[32:22] | at least until I’m out of the bullpen. | 至少在我任命之前不用这么正式 |
[32:27] | Uh, if you could take a look at this. | 请您看一看这份材料 |
[32:31] | What…? | 什么东西 |
[32:35] | You want to tell me what this is? | 这是什么 |
[32:36] | It’s an anonymous document | 这是一份 |
[32:37] | maintained by female employees of the federal government | 在联邦政府女性员工之间流传的匿名文件 |
[32:40] | warning each other of other employees | 相互提醒 哪些人 |
[32:42] | who have made them feel unsafe. | 让她们觉得不安全 |
[32:53] | Here we go. | 就这事啊 |
[32:54] | Deputy Secretary, you should know that | 副国务卿 希望您能明白 |
[32:56] | Secretary McCord and I | 国务卿麦考德与我 |
[32:58] | take these allegations very seriously. | 都认为这些指控不容忽视 |
[33:01] | I suggest you do so as well. | 希望您也能严肃对待 |
[33:03] | And, uh, you want to hear my side of the story, | 而且 你是想听听我这边的说法 |
[33:05] | or have you done away with due process? | 或者你已经完成了正规程序 |
[33:08] | Oh, all of these allegations will be investigated fully | 如果你决定接受这个职位的话 |
[33:11] | if you decide to take this position. | 这些指控都将被全面调查 |
[33:15] | What are you implying? | 你在暗示什么 |
[33:16] | I am openly informing you | 我是在正式的通知你 |
[33:18] | that if an investigation confirms any of the actions | 如果调查证实了任何一个 |
[33:21] | as described in this document, | 本文件所述的行为 |
[33:23] | then you will not become Acting Secretary of State. | 那么你就不会成为代理国务卿了 |
[33:25] | Furthermore, those determinations | 此外 这些调查结果 |
[33:28] | will most likely follow you | 也很可能会跟着你 |
[33:31] | in your next career, so… | 进入下一个职位 所以… |
[33:34] | you may want to think carefully about your next move. | 你应该仔细考虑下一步怎么行动 |
[33:40] | You know, I get that the rules have changed. | 我知道现在世道变了 |
[33:44] | But you need to look at my record. | 但你得看看我的记录 |
[33:47] | No one has been a bigger champion of women | 在这个部门没有人 |
[33:49] | in this department. | 比我更支持女性 |
[33:51] | And I have taken bullets | 而且我为这个国家 |
[33:53] | for this country, and now you’re telling me | 挨过子弹 而现在你告诉我 |
[33:54] | that you’re gonna run me out of town on– at dawn | 你要在黎明时分把我赶出城 |
[33:57] | because a few women have no sense of humor? | 只因为有些女人没有幽默感 |
[33:59] | It’s a shocking violation, isn’t it? | 真是个天大的侵犯 不是吗 |
[34:01] | To be confronted by something so unwelcome | 在工作中遇到如此不受欢迎 |
[34:06] | and disempowering at work? | 和令人沮丧的事情 |
[34:11] | I’m pretty sure every woman in this document | 我很确定这个文件里提到的每个女人 |
[34:12] | knows exactly how you feel. | 都跟你感同身受 |
[34:18] | Sir, I’d like to ask if we can turn up the heat | 先生 我想问一下我们能不能使问题升温 |
[34:22] | and call the Myanmar attack against the Rohingya people | 实事求是的称缅甸对罗兴亚人的攻击为 |
[34:24] | what it is: genocide. | 种族灭绝 |
[34:26] | I think I know the answer to this, but why now? | 我知道我们该怎么做 但为什么是现在 |
[34:29] | Because Myanmar getting away with turning tanks | 如果缅甸向自己的人民开炮的行为 |
[34:32] | on its own people makes it a lot easier | 能够逃脱惩罚 那么很快 |
[34:34] | for the next regime to give it a try. | 就会有另一个政权效仿 |
[34:39] | Because we should have | 因为我们应该在 |
[34:39] | moved on it when we had the chance. | 我们有机会的时候就动手 |
[34:43] | All good points. | 你说的都很有道理 |
[34:45] | But genocide, once proven, | 但是种族灭绝一旦被证实 |
[34:50] | brings a legal obligation to prevent and punish. | 我们就会有法律义务来预防和惩罚这种行为 |
[34:55] | If we intervene in one situation, | 如果我们介入一个 |
[34:56] | there are dozens of others all over the world | 全世界还有几十个 |
[34:58] | – that clamor for the same recognition. – I know. | -想要得到同样认可的呼声 -我知道 |
[35:01] | Yeah, it’s the same thinking that made us avoid | 正是这种想法让我们没有 |
[35:03] | intervening in Rwanda. | 干预卢旺达 |
[35:04] | There are other terms you can use | 你还可以用其他的措辞 |
[35:06] | that don’t bring the same burden of intervention | 既不会带来干预所带来的负担 |
[35:09] | but would still shame the Chinese for sitting it out. | 也会让中国人因坐视不理而感到羞耻 |
[35:11] | That saves you from starting a mess with China | 这就避免挑起你与中国之间的争端 |
[35:14] | that I would rather you didn’t inherit from me. | 我可不希望你从我这里继承这一条 |
[35:18] | It’s no guarantee | 我不能保证 |
[35:18] | that I’m gonna inherit anything from you, sir. | 会继承您的任何事情 总统先生 |
[35:24] | Don’t tell me you’re letting | 别告诉我你已经被 |
[35:25] | that ridiculous article get to you. | 那篇荒谬的文章影响到了 |
[35:29] | It’s my family I’m worried about. | 我担心的是我的家人 |
[35:34] | Well, I’m willing to make a statement | 好吧 如果有帮助的话 |
[35:35] | – about the damn thing if it’ll help. – No, | -我愿意就此发表声明 -不 |
[35:37] | thank you, sir. | 谢谢您 总统先生 |
[35:38] | But you decided to stay out of it, | 但你已经决定不插手了 |
[35:40] | and I’m gonna follow your lead. | 我会遵从你的决定的 |
[35:42] | I hope Lydia isn’t too upset? | 我只是希望莉迪亚不要太难过了 |
[35:47] | One thing we learned about this job is that you need | 我们从这份工作中学到了一件事 |
[35:50] | to keep yourself separate from the office. | 就是你需要把工作和生活分开 |
[35:53] | They are two different things. | 两者毫不相干 |
[35:55] | Conrad, do you think…? | 康拉德 你觉得… |
[35:59] | When we were at CIA, did you favor me? | 我们在中情局的时候 你喜欢我吗 |
[36:04] | Of course. | 当然 |
[36:08] | You were smart, diligent, | 你聪明 勤奋 |
[36:11] | and you knew how to think for yourself. | 你知道如何为自己考虑 |
[36:13] | What kind of boss would I be if I didn’t favor that? | 如果这些我都不喜欢 我算什么上司 |
[36:20] | Perfect. Thanks, Kayla. | 太好了 谢谢 凯拉 |
[36:21] | I’ll circle back ASAP. | 我尽快回来 |
[36:23] | If that’s a masseuse, | 如果是女按摩师 |
[36:24] | can you see if she’ll do campaign stops? | 你问问她想不想参加竞选活动 |
[36:26] | What makes you think I’m booking a masseuse? | 你为什么觉得我在订按摩师 |
[36:27] | You said her name was Kayla. | 你说她叫凯拉 |
[36:30] | Sorry I’m late. | 对不起 我迟到了 |
[36:31] | Hey, you want my beer? | 你要我的啤酒吗 |
[36:32] | – Suck-up. – Uh, no, um, I’m fine. | -糟糕 -不 不用了 |
[36:34] | Look, I’ve been thinking about the GOP offer… | 我一直在考虑共和党的提议… |
[36:36] | Before you finish that thought, I just got off the phone | 在你想完之前听我说 我刚跟 |
[36:39] | with the Democratic Party chairman’s office. | 民主党主席办公室通了电话 |
[36:41] | – They want to talk. – What? | -他们想谈谈 -什么 |
[36:42] | So we can hear what the other side has to say. | 这样我们就能听听另一党派的想法 |
[36:44] | You greenhorn idiot. | 你这个新手白痴 |
[36:45] | – Mike. – You just gave Callister every reason | -迈克 -你正好给了卡利斯特理由 |
[36:47] | to call her a superficial party hopper. | 称她为肤浅的跳党小丑 |
[36:48] | I just gave a candidate | 我只是给了候选人 |
[36:49] | – the opportunity to consider her options. – Guys, enough. | -一个考虑她的选择的机会 -伙计们 够了 |
[36:51] | Enough. | 够了 |
[36:54] | This whole routine between the two of you, | 你们两个之间的林林总总 |
[36:57] | undercutting, the jockeying for position, | 削价竞争 职位争夺 |
[36:59] | this has got to stop. | 都必须停止 |
[37:02] | This is exactly what George Washington hated | 这正是乔治·华盛顿不喜欢 |
[37:04] | about a two-party system. | 两党制的原因 |
[37:05] | Two sides trying to dominate each other. | 双方试图互相支配 |
[37:07] | What does he know? He had wooden teeth. | 他又懂什么 他还装木头假牙呢 |
[37:09] | He was right. | 他是对的 |
[37:10] | And so is Jay, by the way. | 顺便说一下 杰伊也是对的 |
[37:12] | My political identity is tied to Conrad’s. | 我的政治身份和康拉德密切相关 |
[37:16] | I’m an independent. | 我是无党派 |
[37:17] | It’s who I am, and it’s how I’m gonna run. | 这就是我 这就是我要竞选的方式 |
[37:21] | I’m gonna call Governor Hayes, | 我要打电话给海斯州长 |
[37:22] | tell him we’re declining his offer. | 告诉他我们拒绝了他的提议 |
[37:25] | Either of you have a problem with that? | 对此你们两个有意见吗 |
[37:27] | – No, ma’am. – Good. | -没有 国务卿 -好的 |
[37:29] | I’ve also accepted an interview tomorrow morning | 我也接受了明天早上接受采访 |
[37:31] | where I’m gonna put these affair rumors to rest, | 我要把这些风流韵事的谣言 和其他一些事情 |
[37:35] | among other things. | 平息下来 |
[37:36] | Love it. Can we go over some talking points? | 没问题 我们要过过谈话要点吗 |
[37:38] | I don’t need talking points. | 我不需要谈话要点 |
[37:40] | I was there. | 是我的亲身经历 |
[37:46] | Guys, this is gonna be a long, hard road, | 伙计们 这将是一条漫长而艰难的路 |
[37:48] | but it’s the road I want to be on. | 但这是我想走的路 |
[37:51] | So you either | 所以你们要么 |
[37:53] | get on it with me or get out of the way. Okay? | 跟我一起 要么别挡道 好吗 |
[37:58] | Great. | 好的 |
[38:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:11] | Oh, my God. | 我的天啊 |
[38:13] | Hey, did you see Bailey’s resignation? | 你看到贝利的辞职信了吗 |
[38:15] | Are you kidding? I killed trees | 开玩笑 我不惜砍树 |
[38:16] | and printed it out for everyone. | 也要给你们所有人打印出来 |
[38:18] | Hey, it’s pretty decent, right? | 还挺体面的 对吧 |
[38:19] | Wait, are we talking Bailey’s resignation? | 等下 你们在聊贝利的辞职信吗 |
[38:21] | So, you think he wrote it? | 你觉得是他写的吗 |
[38:22] | “I regret the part I played in a system | 我后悔曾在一个只想着去如何压制和统治 |
[38:25] | designed to silence and dominate | 世界一半人口的体系中 |
[38:27] | half the world’s population.” | 扮演一定的角色 |
[38:28] | – He didn’t write it. – No. | -不是他自己写的 -没错 |
[38:30] | But I love whoever got him to sign it. | 但我欣赏那个让他在这上面签字的人 |
[38:31] | – I know. – Uh, good morning. | -我也是 -早上好 |
[38:32] | Hey, Nina, can I see you for a minute? | 妮娜 我能和你聊一会吗 |
[38:34] | Sure. | 当然 |
[38:35] | And, uh, the Secretary’s interview might go long. | 还有 国务卿的采访时间可能会很长 |
[38:37] | You were able to move the meet | 你把和新来的外事官员们 |
[38:39] | and greet with the new FSOs? | 的会面问好推迟了吗 |
[38:40] | – Yes, to Thursday. – Good. | -嗯 推迟到星期四了 -好 |
[38:41] | So, do we know who wrote that memo? | 查出是谁写的那份备忘录了吗 |
[38:45] | I think the deputy secretary saw the error of his ways. | 我觉得副秘书长自己意识到了错误 |
[38:50] | – What? – It could happen. | -什么 -也有可能啊 |
[38:54] | Undersecretary Thompson. | 汤普森副部长 |
[38:56] | – Yes. – This is Nina Cummings. | -你好 -这位是妮娜·卡明斯 |
[38:58] | She’ll be your new administrative assistant. | 她将是您的新行政助理 |
[39:00] | And, Nina, Undersecretary Thompson will be stepping in | 妮娜 一旦我们开始调动程序 |
[39:02] | as acting secretary once we begin the transition. | 汤普森副部长将担任代理国务卿 |
[39:05] | It’s an honor. I-I so admire your work | 这是我的荣誉 我太佩服您之前 |
[39:08] | -with the Bureau of African Affairs. -Thank you, Nina. | -与非洲外事部合作的成果了 -谢谢你妮娜 |
[39:10] | – I look forward to working with you. – Me, too. | -我期待与你合作 -我也是 |
[39:12] | Oh, that reminds me, um, OMB approved a line item | 提醒我了 政府管理预算局批准了 |
[39:15] | for tampons in the bathrooms. | 厕所里放卫生棉条的费用预算 |
[39:17] | Nina’s idea. Hey. | 这是妮娜的建议 |
[39:18] | Look at that. | 真不错 |
[39:20] | Policy in action. | 政策行动 |
[39:21] | Yes. That’s right. | 是呀 太对了 |
[39:23] | What else can we get? | 我们还有什么 |
[39:24] | – Um, equal pay. – Yes. | -同工同酬 -是的 |
[39:27] | In five, four, three… | 五 四 三… |
[39:34] | Secretary McCord, I’m gonna get right to it. | 麦考德国务卿 我直接进入正题 |
[39:36] | Are you running for president | 你会在下届竞选中 |
[39:38] | in the next election? | 竞选总统吗 |
[39:40] | Well, right now I’m pretty busy | 最近我在忙于 |
[39:42] | representing our country to the rest of the world. | 向全世界代表我们国家 |
[39:45] | I want to get to your work as Secretary of State, | 我想聊下你作为国务卿时期的事情 |
[39:47] | but first let’s go back to your time | 但首先让我们回到你 |
[39:50] | at the CIA. | 在中情局时期 |
[39:50] | 独家专访 国务卿伊丽莎白·麦考德 | |
[39:52] | Uh, you were an intelligence analyst | 当时你是情报分析员 |
[39:54] | working with Conrad Dalton in Iraq? | 在伊拉克与康拉德·道尔顿合作过 |
[39:57] | Yes, that’s right. | 是的 没错 |
[39:58] | You worked closely with President Dalton. | 你与道尔顿总统密切合作 |
[40:03] | I was a member of an incredible team. | 我是一个优秀的团队中的一员 |
[40:06] | There was a great deal of mutual respect. | 大家相互尊重 |
[40:09] | There have been rumors lately, uh, | 最近有传言 |
[40:12] | that your relationship with President Dalton | 你和道尔顿总统的关系 |
[40:15] | was a more intimate one during those years? | 那几年非常亲近 |
[40:18] | Those rumors are not true, | 那谣言都是假的 |
[40:20] | and the people spreading them are the same people | 传播这些的人 |
[40:23] | who are trying to distract Americans | 试图分散国人的注意力 |
[40:25] | from the real threats we face. | 让我们无法看清我们面对的真正威胁 |
[40:27] | Like the rise of hatred and intolerance. | 他们意在煽动仇恨和偏执 |
[40:31] | These people want us to be scared and suspicious | 这些人想让我们害怕 去怀疑任何 |
[40:34] | of anyone who looks, speaks, | 和他们长得不一样 说得不一样 |
[40:37] | prays differently than people we know. | 祈祷不一样的人 |
[40:41] | Because when we’re scared, that’s when they take power. | 因为只要我们害怕了 他们就会得势 |
[40:45] | This is happening all over the world. | 全世界都有这种情况发生 |
[40:48] | Last year, Myanmar unleashed a campaign | 去年 缅甸发起了一场 |
[40:50] | of ethnic cleansing | 清除整个穆斯林人口的 |
[40:52] | on an entire population of Muslim citizens | 种族清洗竞赛 |
[40:56] | in retaliation against a handful of Muslim dissidents. | 作为对一些穆斯林持不同政见的报复 |
[41:00] | And right now they’re getting away with it. | 而现在他们快要逃脱罪责了 |
[41:02] | It’s the same hate and fear that drove extremists | 正是这种憎恨和恐惧驱使着极端分子 |
[41:06] | to attack the White House over an immigration policy. | 因为移民政策而攻击白宫 |
[41:10] | And it’s the same hate infecting every line | 也正是这种憎恨形成了 |
[41:13] | of Senator Callister’s campaign announcement. | 卡利斯特参议员所有的竞选声明 |
[41:16] | You made a speech | 几个月前 |
[41:17] | several months ago, uh, | 你做了个演讲 |
[41:19] | calling nationalism | 说民族主义 |
[41:22] | the greatest threat to humankind. | 是人类最大的威胁 |
[41:25] | I did, | 是的 |
[41:27] | but what’s happening now is even more scary. | 但现在的情况更可怕 |
[41:31] | Extremists aren’t just attacking | 极端分子不仅 |
[41:33] | the White House from outside, | 从外面攻击白宫 |
[41:36] | they’re trying to move into it. | 他们正试图渗透进来 |
[41:38] | If we vote hatred into our highest office, | 如果让憎恨进入我们最高领导层 |
[41:41] | I don’t think we survive that. Not intact. | 我认为我们将无法幸免 |
[41:44] | What would you say | 你有什么要对 |
[41:45] | to the many Americans | 许多支持卡利斯特参议员 |
[41:47] | who support Senator Callister’s message? | 的美国人说的 |
[41:52] | De Tocqueville called our early democracy | 托克维尔[历史学家]称我们早期的民主 |
[41:55] | “The great experiment.” | 伟大的实验 |
[41:57] | And I love that because it reminds me | 我很喜欢这个说法 因为它时刻提醒我 |
[42:01] | how fragile we are. | 我们多么的脆弱 |
[42:04] | Every generation | 每一代人 |
[42:05] | gets to choose whether or not this experiment continues. | 都可以决定这个实验是否继续 |
[42:10] | That means not giving in to the weaknesses | 这并不意味着我们要屈服于 |
[42:13] | that make us fragile as people and as a country, | 那些让人民和国家变得脆弱的劣势 |
[42:17] | not listening to those who tell us | 而是让我们在受到冷落的时候 |
[42:19] | to blame others when we feel shut out. | 不要听那些人的话去责备他人 |
[42:23] | And that can be such a tempting message, | 虽然责备别人很轻松 |
[42:26] | especially when you’re down, | 尤其是当你情绪低落时 |
[42:28] | but it’s a false one and a dark one. | 但这样是不对的 是黑暗的 |
[42:31] | All I can say is, | 我只能说 |
[42:34] | however I continue to serve our country, | 不管我会以什么方式继续为国家服务 |
[42:36] | I will never stop fighting to save this great experiment. | 我永远都不会停止为这场伟大的实验而奋斗 |