时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | Would you look at that? | 来看看这个 |
[00:06] | He wants a trampoline for his birthday. | 他生日礼物想要蹦床 |
[00:09] | That’s so cute, but we can’t afford that. | 多可爱 可惜咱家买不起 |
[00:15] | He can have that if he doesn’t have a party. | 他要是不办生日派对的话那个可以有 |
[00:21] | That is perfect. He’ll be so surprised! | 完美的礼物 他一定会惊喜的 |
[00:59] | This is the best part of my day. | 现在是我一天中最好的时光 |
[01:01] | The sixteen minutes between the horrors of school | 离开学校之后和到家之前 |
[01:04] | and the horrors of home. | 和谐的十六分钟 |
[01:05] | Malcolm! There you are. | Malcolm 你在这儿啊 |
[01:07] | You know Ira James, right? | 你认识Ira James吧 |
[01:09] | All-state fullback, state single season rushing reckie? | 州明星赛后卫 州联赛单季跑阵王 |
[01:11] | Who am I kidding. Probably never even talked to you. | 骗谁啊 恐怕是从没和你搭过话吧 |
[01:14] | Hi. | 你好啊 |
[01:16] | Ira’s graduating this year. | Ira今年毕业 |
[01:17] | He’s got entries for six division one eight colleges. | 他有六个分区十八所大学的录取意向 |
[01:20] | All right. But the problem is, | 不赖 但有个问题 |
[01:22] | his school wants him to write an essay on his application. | 要他的学校要他写篇申请文章 |
[01:25] | – So… – So, Ira’s an idiot. | – 然后呢 – 然后Ira是个蠢蛋 |
[01:27] | I mean hamster idiot. | 蠢的像个仓鼠脑袋 |
[01:29] | And that’s only if we’re talking about a really stupid hamster. | 而且还必须得是一个蠢到家的仓鼠 |
[01:32] | Mom says I have other nice qualities. | 妈妈说 我一定有其它好的品质 |
[01:35] | Since you’re the smartest kid in the school, | 既然你是全校最聪明的那个 |
[01:36] | I want you to help him write his essay. | 我要你帮助他写那篇文章 |
[01:38] | I wish I could, but I’ve got three midterms next week. | 我也想啊 可下周我有三场期中考 |
[01:41] | Look, you don’t understand. Ira is a football player. | 你没想明白 Ira是橄榄球运动员 |
[01:45] | That means when he needs something, | 也就是说他要是想要点什么 |
[01:47] | it’s up to you non-football kids to do it for him. | 就得靠你们这些玩不了橄榄球的替他干 |
[01:50] | The cheerleaders understand it. | 拉拉队的妞都懂这个 |
[01:51] | Look, I’ll make it worth your while. | 我会让你赚回来的 |
[01:54] | I’ll let you out of gym for the rest of the semester. | 剩余学期我就不强求你上体育课了 |
[01:55] | I don’t mind gym. | 我无所谓上体育课 |
[01:57] | Sure you don’t, brainiac. | 你当然无所谓啦 大脑怪 |
[02:04] | Hi, honey. | 你好 亲爱的 |
[02:07] | I’m going to need you to be calm. | 我需要你现在冷静一下 |
[02:09] | Oh, jeez. Which kid is it? | 老天 这次又是哪个熊孩子 |
[02:11] | I’m not going to tell you, you’re not calm enough yet. | 你不够冷静的话 我可没法告诉你 |
[02:13] | Reese. Ok, deep breath. What’d he do? | 是Reese没错了 深呼吸 他又干吗了 |
[02:20] | All right. Reese… | 好吧 Reese他 |
[02:31] | Honey, do you want some tea, or a drink? | 亲爱的 你要喝杯茶 或者喝杯小酒么 |
[02:33] | What’s wrong with Dad? | 老爸这是肿么了 |
[02:34] | Your father just found out what Reese did. | 你爸刚知道了Reese干的好事 |
[02:36] | What’d he do? | 他干了什么好事 |
[02:38] | Your brother… | 你哥他 |
[02:39] | Oh my god! Did they have to evacuate? | 老天 他们当时不得疏散啊 |
[02:43] | Oh man. What a day. | 哎哟乖乖 不得了的一天 |
[02:44] | Big lost his other arm in the meat grinder. | 大个子在绞肉机里弄残了自己剩下的一只手 |
[02:46] | And the health department shut us down for fifteen minutes. | 卫生处让我们歇业了15分钟 |
[02:49] | We were playing catch-it all afternoon. | 我们整个下午都有够受的了 |
[02:55] | He wants to know how you could do something so horrible! | 他想知道你怎么干得出这么可怕的事 |
[03:00] | And think you could get away with it? | 你以为自己能逍遥法外吗 |
[03:06] | Was that scramble or strangle? | 你说的是搅还是绞 |
[03:07] | What are you guys talking about? | 你们在说什么呀 |
[03:08] | You know very well what we’re talking about. Last week you… | 你肯定知道我们说的是什么 上周你 |
[03:13] | I can name third world countries | 我知道那样的事 |
[03:14] | where stuff like that happens all the time! | 在有些第三世界国家天天发生 |
[03:17] | What am I going to do with you, Reese? | 我该拿你怎么办啊 Reese |
[03:19] | I don’t want to tell you this is a new low, | 我不想说这又是你最差劲的一次 |
[03:21] | because every time I do, | 每次我这么说 |
[03:22] | You take it as a personal challenge! | 你都把它当下次干坏事儿的挑战标杆 |
[03:24] | You know what? I’ve just worked my butt off for six hours! | 知道吗 我屁股才受了六小时的罪 |
[03:27] | And I don’t appreciate being yelled at the second I come through the door! | 我可不喜欢一回家就被人吼 |
[03:30] | Oh, Oh, you’re complaining? | 哦哟 你还有抱怨了 |
[03:32] | Don’t complain you ass! | 抱怨个屁啊你 |
[03:37] | Hal, give yourself another minute! | Hal 你到一边凉快会儿 |
[03:39] | Well you both can just shut up! | 不如你们俩都可以闭嘴 |
[03:43] | Oh boy. In this family, that’s what we call the closer. | 不得了 在这个家 这种情况被称为终结 |
[03:46] | We now know that Reese is definitely not living here for the next few days. | 显然Reese接下来是没法待在这家里了 |
[03:49] | The only question left, is who gets to take the credit. | 现在就看谁能争到最后的面子了 |
[03:57] | Outside! | 滚粗 |
[03:58] | Not if we get to the doorknob first! | 我们开门前不准滚粗 |
[04:01] | – You’re outta here! – I’m outta here! | – 给我滚粗 – 爷走了 |
[04:02] | Tide goes to the runner. | 谁走谁是爷 |
[04:08] | They kicked Reese out again? | 他们又把Reese赶走了吗 |
[04:09] | Yeah, we haven’t heard from him in two days. | 是啊 我们都两天没他消息了 |
[04:11] | I’m actually impressed. | 这回不错嘛 |
[04:12] | Usually by now he’s eating cat food off Mr Harvey’s porch. | 以往这阶段他都去Harvey先生门廊吃猫粮 |
[04:16] | This is horrible! How can they do this to their own children? | 太可怕了 他们怎么能这么对自己的娃呢 |
[04:19] | Yeah, it’s really traumatizing | 可不 真是精神重创 |
[04:22] | Don’t you care about the psychological damage they’re inflicting? | 他们就不在意自己强加的精神伤害吗 |
[04:24] | A home isn’t conditional! | 家庭应该是无条件的 |
[04:26] | A home should be safe, and secure and… | 家庭应该提供安全 安心 还有 |
[04:29] | – Realy? – What? | – 真的么 – 啥 |
[04:30] | The point is, I got kicked out when I was fifteen. | 重点是我15岁被踢出家门 |
[04:33] | And I never got to come home again. | 然后就回不了家了 |
[04:34] | They can’t do this to Reese. | 他们不能同样对待Reese |
[04:36] | We’ll have to do something. Someone has to stop them! | 我们必须做些什么 要阻止他们 |
[04:39] | Am I the only one who understands | 难道只有我一个清楚 |
[04:40] | what kind of monsters these people are? | 他们有多极品么 |
[04:42] | I don’t think this is as bigger a deal | 我想其他家庭成员和你的事儿比 |
[04:44] | to the rest of the family as it is to you. | 这都不算个事儿 |
[04:49] | Maybe you’re overreacting. | 可能是你反应过度了吧 |
[04:50] | Overreacting? Dewey, when you’re older, you’ll understand. | 我反应过度 Dewey 你再大些就懂了 |
[04:53] | There are things in life called priorities, | 有件事叫做轻重缓急 |
[04:56] | which I will explain to you in a few hours when I get there. | 过会儿到了我再给你细说 |
[04:58] | Right now I have to call Otto and cash in some personal days | 我要先打个电话给Otto调休几天 |
[05:03] | Overreacting. | 什么反应过度 |
[05:12] | Great timing. The muffins just came out. | 来得正好 松饼刚出炉 |
[05:14] | Thank god you called me, | 感谢老天你打电话给我 |
[05:15] | I can’t believe the hell Mom and Dad put you through. | 我不敢相信爸妈让你经历了什么 |
[05:20] | Hey, whose place is this? | 这是谁的公寓 |
[05:21] | It’s mine. It’s completely furnished including Cable TV. | 是我的 精装修 带有线电视 |
[05:24] | I told them I was eighteen so I got a two year lease. | 我谎报自己年满十八租了两年 |
[05:27] | You ain’t help that woman , am I right? | 你不是来替她说话的对吧 |
[05:28] | Reese, you can’t live in a place like this! | Reese 你不能住在这样的地方 |
[05:31] | Yeah I can. They’re having a move in special. | 我能啊 他们有特惠 |
[05:33] | First month free, | 首月免费 |
[05:34] | it’s like three seventy-five a month, utilities included. | 每月375刀 包水电煤 |
[05:37] | I can make my rent in a week if I pick up an extra shift. | 加班的话我一周就能凑够月租 |
[05:40] | I should have done this like six months ago. | 半年前我就该这样了 |
[05:43] | Hey Reese. Come on, we’re going to the roof. | Reese 来呀 我们去屋顶 |
[05:44] | The nursing students across the street | 对街的学生护士 |
[05:46] | are taking their cigarette break. | 正在放风抽烟 |
[05:47] | I’m sorry, I can’t. I’m having my brothers over for breakfast. | 抱歉了 我要和我老哥共进早餐 |
[05:49] | Francis, this is Teddy, Lou, George. | Francis 这是Teddy Lou George |
[05:52] | Divorced, separated, wife’s doing the best friend. | 离婚 分居 老婆和自己最好的朋友搞 |
[05:55] | EX-best friend. Excuse me. | 曾经的最好朋友 借过 |
[05:58] | All right, well, you know where we’ll be. | 你知道哪里找我们 |
[06:01] | Hey, is that a wedding ring? | 莫非那是婚戒 |
[06:02] | – Yeah. – Start hiding the money now, friend. | – 对 – 朋友 可以开始藏私房钱了 |
[06:06] | Oh man. This place is awesome! | 老兄 这地方屌爆了 |
[06:09] | Reese, I know you think this place is great. | Reese 我知道你觉得这地方很棒 |
[06:10] | But any objective observer will tell you that it is certainly not. | 但每个客观的人看到都会告诉你不好 |
[06:14] | Whoa! This place is awesome! | 哇塞 这地方屌爆了 |
[06:16] | One thing’s for sure, I’d never, ever leave if I were you! | 我是你就绝不离开这里 |
[06:20] | So, who’s up for some muffins? | 那么谁想来点松饼 |
[06:21] | – I am! – Me! – No! No muffins! | – 我 – 我要 – 不可以 不准吃 |
[06:23] | Reese, you can’t just keep playing house like this! | Reese 你不能这样过家家 |
[06:26] | Mom and Dad did something really horrible to you, just like they did to me! | 爸妈对你很糟糕 就如同当年对我做的 |
[06:30] | Only you can’t let them get away with it! | 不过你不能放任他们 |
[06:32] | You don’t belong here, you belong at home! | 你不该在这里 你该在家 |
[06:34] | All right, fine. Tell me one thing about my life | 很好 就告诉我一件事情 |
[06:37] | that would be better if I was still at home. | 我在这里不如我在家里好 |
[06:42] | I thought the toilet seat never needs | 我觉得马桶坐垫永远带着屁温 |
[06:44] | warming argument was pretty good. | 这点说得挺在理 |
[06:49] | Ok. The main thing to remember about a college essay is that | 关键是要记住大学申请文章 |
[06:52] | it’s just like any other essay you’ve written. | 就和其他一般的文章是一回事 |
[06:55] | You know, like homework. | 就像作业嘛 |
[06:59] | For one of your classes. | 随便什么课的 |
[07:04] | Come on, Ira, I know it seems hard, | Ira 我知道看着难 |
[07:06] | but you just have to get started. | 但你必须开始上手了 |
[07:08] | Like, if you had to describe yourself in one word, | 好比你要用一个词形容自己 |
[07:10] | what would that word be? | 你会说什么 |
[07:17] | Ira Ira. | |
[07:19] | Ok. There we go. Ira. See, we’ve started. | 万事开头难 Ira 至少开头了嘛 |
[07:27] | Now, what else? | 还有其它的词么 |
[07:29] | I dunno. I’m not much of a writer. Or a reader. | 不知道 我不擅长写 或者读 |
[07:33] | I don’t like words, they confuse me. | 我不喜欢文字 它们让我困惑 |
[07:35] | There’s like hundreds of ’em. | 怎么会有那么多的词汇 |
[07:36] | Calm down. You can do this. You know what? | 冷静点 你能行 |
[07:39] | I’m going to say something, | 不如我来说些事 |
[07:40] | and you just say the first thing that comes to your head. | 你只要说你头脑浮现的第一个词就行 |
[07:42] | My earliest memory in life is… | 我人生最早的记忆是 |
[07:45] | Blue. Thing. | 蓝色 东东 |
[07:50] | Blue thing. Good | 蓝色的东东 可以的 |
[07:53] | You can use that. Like um, | 你可以用到这个 比方 |
[07:56] | sometimes my childhood feels vague and distant. | 我的童年记忆模糊而遥远 |
[08:01] | Like something draped in a blue haze. See? | 就像浸在蓝色迷雾之下 瞧见没 |
[08:06] | Yeah. That’s cool. | 好耶 很酷 |
[08:09] | My biggest fear is… | 我最大的恐惧是 |
[08:11] | Spiders. No, waffles. | 蜘蛛 不 是华夫饼干 |
[08:17] | I let my fears wash over me and I see that | 我任由恐惧洗刷自己 浮现出 |
[08:20] | I am imprinted with a repeating pattern of optimism and despair. | 我的人生重复印刻着乐观与失望 |
[08:26] | Yeah, that’s not bad. | 不赖耶 |
[08:29] | I hope someday, | 我期许某天 |
[08:30] | to free myself, to find the one thing… | 为了获得精神的自由 寻觅到 |
[08:33] | You’re not going to do anything? | 你们就放手不管了啊 |
[08:34] | You have to go to that apartment and get him back! | 你们必须去他公寓把他带回来啊 |
[08:37] | Look, that’s not how it works. | 事情不是这样解决的 |
[08:39] | Oh, I know how it works! | 我太知道该怎么解决了 |
[08:40] | I was thrown into Military School so fast | 我一秒钟就被送去军校了 |
[08:42] | I still had shampoo in my hair! | 送走的时候我洗澡洗一半呢 |
[08:44] | The minute a child is inconvenient to you, you kick’ em out! | 孩子一让你们不爽 你们就赶他走 |
[08:47] | Francis, this is really none of your business, | Francis 这和你没关系吧 |
[08:49] | you don’t even live here any more! | 你都不住这儿了 |
[08:51] | Because you kicked me out! | 那是因为你们把我赶走了啊 |
[08:53] | And now you’re doing the same thing to Reese! | 现在又对Reese故技重施 |
[08:55] | Right now, he’s sitting in that apartment with his Cable TV | 这会儿他正在自己公寓里看有线电视 |
[08:58] | and his huge stack of video games, miserable! | 玩一大堆电玩 很痛苦的好吗 |
[09:01] | If Reese is unhappy, he brought it on himself! | 要是Reese不开心 那是他自找的 |
[09:04] | Really, so what’s this, | 是吗 那这次算什么 |
[09:04] | like the tenth time he’s brought it on himself? | 他第十次自找的吧 |
[09:07] | And let’s see, Malcolm’s brought it on himself six times, | 再看Malcolm 自找了六次 |
[09:10] | so with my twenty-eight times, | 再加上我的二十八次 |
[09:11] | that makes forty kick outs, three different kids, | 三个小孩 共四十人次踢出家门 |
[09:14] | and the only constant drawl of this is you two! | 所有一切背后唯一不变的调调就是你们俩 |
[09:18] | Francis, that is not fair! | Francis 这么说很不公平 |
[09:20] | Maybe you just don’t like | 你们大概就是不想 |
[09:22] | sharing your house with your children! | 和自己孩子住在一个屋檐下吧 |
[09:23] | So when’s Dewey going to bring it on himself? | 什么时候轮到Dewey开始自找这样的麻烦 |
[09:26] | When’s Jamie? Where is Jamie? | 什么时候要轮到Jamie 说起来他哪去了 |
[09:31] | He’s at the babysitter’s. | 他在保姆家 |
[09:33] | Just till five. | 五岁就接他回来 |
[09:36] | Oh, for the love of God! Dale. | 苍天啊 Dale |
[09:39] | Leave me with my dignity. | 给我留点面子吧 |
[09:41] | OK, take my dignity, just let me see my kids… | 那好 脸我不要了 就让我见见孩子吧 |
[09:47] | Just pull the trigger! | 扣扳机啊 |
[09:49] | And what a second to do me over! | 此刻一了百了解千愁 |
[09:52] | Come on, stop being such a coward! Do it! | 来啊 别做懦夫 下手吧 |
[09:54] | Hey Dave, is that you? | Dave 是你吗 |
[09:56] | Ah… Yeah. | 那个 是啊 |
[09:58] | What channel do you have on in there? | 你在看什么频道 |
[10:00] | Sounds better than what I’m watching. | 听起来比我的精彩 |
[10:08] | This is all new to us. | 这对我们还是头一遭 |
[10:14] | We’ve never examined our parenting before, | 我们从未审视过自己的家教方式 |
[10:19] | it always seemed to us like something that should just come naturally. | 一直以来我们只是顺其自然 |
[10:23] | Yeah, everyone on the planet’s been | 可不 世上每个物种 |
[10:24] | having kids for billions of years. | 都养育后代几百万年了 |
[10:26] | I mean, look at snakes, they never take parenting classes, | 比如蛇吧 它们不上家长辅导课吧 |
[10:29] | the world’s crawling with ’em. | 但还不照样爬满整个世界 |
[10:31] | How exactly did you want me to help you? | 我要怎么做能帮到你们呢 |
[10:34] | Well, we have fallen into a bad pattern, | 我们陷入了糟糕的固定模式 |
[10:39] | our boys misbehave, and they are punished, | 我们孩子闯祸了 然后被惩罚 |
[10:42] | and then they severely misbehave, and they are severely punished, | 然后他们闯个大祸 然后被严惩 |
[10:45] | and then, they misbehave in some outlandish jaw-dropping way, | 然后他们闯个骇人听闻的祸 |
[10:50] | where if we responded in kind, we’d end up in jail! | 如果我们继续这样下去 就该进班房了 |
[10:53] | We’re at the end of our rope here. | 我们精疲力竭了 |
[10:55] | Well, of course you are. | 显然是的 |
[10:56] | So we were hoping that with all your training, | 所以我们期待以您的学识 |
[10:58] | you could teach us some kind of subtle trick | 能够教我们一些精妙的诀窍 |
[11:00] | that would stop them in their tracks. | 来让他们悬崖勒马 |
[11:02] | Trick? | 诀窍吗 |
[11:04] | Yeah. You know, some kind of secret psychological thing | 你懂的 某种秘密的心理学玩意儿 |
[11:07] | that would get them to shut up and listen to us for a change. | 以便让他们乖乖闭嘴听我们的 |
[11:10] | Yeah, my husband’s getting older | 我丈夫年纪上去了 |
[11:12] | but he can still take them individually, | 不过还能一个顶一个对付他们 |
[11:13] | but if they ever team up on him… | 但如果他们形成团伙 |
[11:14] | Look, I don’t think it’s a good idea to treat kids | 我觉得把孩子当做 |
[11:17] | like criminalsor animals that need to be broken. | 罪犯或者禽兽来处理不是个好主意 |
[11:20] | You’ve never met our boys. | 你又没见我们家孩子 |
[11:22] | Yeah, you can’t begin to imagine the things they do. | 你肯定想不出他们能干的出什么 |
[11:25] | I’ve been practicing psychiatry for forty years. | 四十年来我专注于精神病学 |
[11:28] | There’s nothing you could say that would shock me. | 你们说什么我都不会震惊的 |
[11:33] | All right. Last week, Reese… | 好吧 上周 Reese他 |
[11:38] | Oh my god, what were the cats for? | 天呐 搞那些猫是要干吗 |
[11:40] | We don’t know. | 我们怎么知道 |
[11:41] | Give me a minute. | 我要缓一缓 |
[11:44] | Now, even in the most extreme, breath-taking, horrifying cases, | 即使是最极端的最极品的案例 |
[11:51] | there are some techniques that can be useful. | 还是有些技巧可以派上用场 |
[11:55] | See, I told you this wasn’t a waste of ninety bucks. | 告诉过你这90刀不会白花 |
[11:58] | Have you ever heard of active listening? | 听说过主动聆听么 |
[12:00] | No. | 没有 |
[12:02] | Most teenagers act out because they feel no-one cares. | 大部分青少年的行为源于感到无人关怀 |
[12:06] | With active listening, you mirror back everything your child says, | 通过主动聆听 你反馈你孩子说的一切 |
[12:10] | which shows you’re hearing them, and by extension, understanding. | 以表示你们在倾听 以及连带的 理解 |
[12:14] | I know, it sounds simple, but believe me, | 我知道听着简单 不过请相信 |
[12:16] | I’ve seen it work miracles. | 我见证过这方法所能带来的奇迹 |
[12:18] | Yeah. I don’t think Reese would respond to that. | 我不觉得这招对Reese有作用 |
[12:21] | You’re worried it won’t help him. | 你担心这招帮不了他 |
[12:22] | Yes, what if it actually makes it worse? | 如果实际上变得更糟呢 |
[12:25] | I don’t think I could stand any more trouble with him. | 我觉得我没办法忍受他任何麻烦了 |
[12:28] | Oh, this is so confusing. | 唉 太困惑了 |
[12:31] | You’re feeling mixed up right now. | 你现在困扰了 |
[12:32] | God, Yes I am. You know, I’m usually so sure of myself, | 老天 是啊 我本来一直很自信的 |
[12:36] | but this whole thing has made me question every aspect of my… | 但这回让我对自己方方面面产生怀疑 |
[12:42] | Oh that’s good. Oh, that’s really good. | 不赖啊 这招真是不赖啊 |
[12:47] | I now realize that blue is not the colour of confusion, | 我现在意识到蓝色不再是困惑的颜色 |
[12:52] | but rather, it is the colour of hope. Yeah. That’s it. | 而是希望的颜色 不赖 就这样 |
[12:58] | Dude, the parts I understood, they were awesome. | 伙计 就我能看懂的部分 已经很牛了 |
[13:01] | Great, well, now that we have the ideas all down, | 很好 现在主要理念都定好了 |
[13:04] | all we have to do is put them into the words | 我们只要把它们用 |
[13:05] | that you would actually… | 你确实会用的文字表达出 |
[13:06] | Thanks Malcolm. You’re awesome! | 谢谢你 Malcolm 你太牛了 |
[13:08] | People are going to think I’m so smart… | 人们会觉得我很聪明 |
[13:10] | Wait, we’re not done yet. Hold on a second… | 等等 还没完啊 等一下 |
[13:12] | Blue is definitely my favorite colour now. | 蓝色现在绝对是我最喜欢的颜色了 |
[13:19] | Hey, let’s get going, Reese! | 咱赶紧走吧 Reese |
[13:22] | This lady’s getting free shrimp night at the Red Lobster. | 这里有位女士要去餐厅赴免费吃虾夜 |
[13:24] | Maybe I’ll meet you down there. | 我大概会在那里和你会合 |
[13:25] | I gotta catch up on my homework. | 我要赶作业 |
[13:26] | Hey, you already blew off Air Hockey Night, | 你已经爽约空中飞食之夜 |
[13:28] | and Pot Luck Wednesday, but I was counting on you for tonight. | 和家常便饭夜 今晚我可都指望你了 |
[13:31] | I need someone to turn the conversation to my tongue trick. | 我需要有人来帮我打打花腔 |
[13:33] | I guess now that I’m on my own, | 我想现在我就靠自己了 |
[13:35] | I just feel like being more responsible. | 我必须得要更负责些 |
[13:37] | Hey, I got three kids, | 我有三个娃 |
[13:38] | you don’t see me talking about responsibility. | 你见我谈过什么要负责么 |
[13:40] | Come on, I’m not taking no for an answer. | 我可不准你拒绝的 |
[13:42] | Ok, ok. | 好啦 |
[13:53] | Mom, I have a problem, I need to talk. | 妈 我有个麻烦 我需要和你谈谈 |
[13:56] | Good, you can talk, and I will listen. | 好啊 你说我听 |
[14:02] | This football player wants to use an essay I wrote | 这运动员想用我写的文章 |
[14:04] | for his college application | 去申请大学 |
[14:07] | and pretend its his own. | 还假装是自己写的 |
[14:08] | I know it’s dishonest, but I might be making too much of it. | 我知道这不诚实 不过我也可能太大惊小怪 |
[14:12] | I wanted to get your advice. | 我需要你的意见 |
[14:14] | You’re hoping I can help you. | 你希望我能帮到你 |
[14:17] | Yeah, I just said that. | 是啊 刚就这么说的 |
[14:20] | So, I don’t think he should get into college under false pretenses. | 我不认为他可以这样作假去上大学 |
[14:23] | But are they really false pretenses | 不过如果反正没人会觉得他聪明 |
[14:25] | if nobody thinks he’s smart anyway? | 这又算什么作假呢 |
[14:27] | I don’t want to be a part of his cheating, | 我不想参与作假 |
[14:28] | but also don’t want to take away his shot at going to college. | 但我又不想夺走他上大学的机会 |
[14:31] | I just don’t know what to do. | 我不知怎么做好 |
[14:34] | You’re uncertain what action to take. | 你不确定该采取什么行动 |
[14:40] | Yes. Why are you talking like a robot? | 是啊 你干嘛像个机器人一样说话 |
[14:43] | You want to know why I’m talking like a robot. | 你想知道为什么我说话像机器人 |
[14:48] | I have a problem and I need your help! | 我有麻烦需要你帮助 |
[14:51] | All you’re doing is mindlessly parroting back what I say. | 你就只会对我鹦鹉学舌吗 |
[14:54] | You say one thing, and I restate it. | 你说了什么 我就复述了什么 |
[14:57] | Forget it, if you’re not going to help me, you don’t have to mock me! | 算了吧 不帮我也别嘲弄我啊 |
[15:02] | We did not come from a family of criminals, | 我们不是犯罪之家 |
[15:04] | you do not let him turn in that essay! | 你不准他提交那篇文章 |
[15:07] | Oh god, I knew listening to our kids would be a mistake. | 我就知道聆听孩子的话是个错误 |
[15:11] | Hello? | 哪位 |
[15:12] | Hello, is this the residence of the most un-nurturing, | 你好 这是不抚育孩子 |
[15:15] | callous parents in the universe? | 还最冷酷无情的父母的家么 |
[15:16] | It’s for you. | 找你的 |
[15:18] | Hello? | 哪位 |
[15:19] | Hi, I just got off the phone with your son Reese, | 我刚和你们儿子Reese通了电话 |
[15:21] | it’s been over a week and you haven’t even talked to him. | 一个礼拜了 你们都没和他说过一句话 |
[15:24] | Congratulations! | 恭喜啊 |
[15:25] | The fracturing of this family is now two-fifths complete. | 这个家分裂的进度已经到了五分之二了 |
[15:28] | Francis, this is a very hard and complicated situation, | Francis 状况艰难复杂 |
[15:31] | and I don’t need you to yell at me right now! | 我不要你对我吼 |
[15:33] | There’s nothing complicated about it, | 没什么复杂的 |
[15:35] | just go to his apartment, tell him you love him, | 去他的公寓 告诉他你们爱他 |
[15:38] | and ask him to come home. | 并请他回家 |
[15:40] | Are you nuts? This is Reese we’re talking about! | 你傻啊 我们说的是Reese |
[15:43] | So what? | 怎么样呢 |
[15:44] | Come on, you know exactly how he thinks. | 你知道他是怎么想的 |
[15:46] | If we show that kind of weakness, | 要是我们示弱了 |
[15:48] | it’s like showing a hyena the belly of an antelope! | 就像对鬣狗展示羚羊的肚皮 |
[15:50] | Reese will come home with no limits and no boundaries, | Reese回家后会无法无天 |
[15:53] | and within five years we will be saying our last words | 五年内我们就要通过警察的喊话筒 |
[15:56] | to him over a Police bullhorn! | 和他最后一次谈话了 |
[15:58] | All I know is that you have a child that needs you! | 我只知道你们的孩子需要你们 |
[16:00] | No he doesn’t, he’s happy where he is, and so are we! | 不 他不需要 他乐在其中 我们也是 |
[16:03] | Dewey, get off the phone! | Dewey 把电话挂了 |
[16:05] | Mom, I understand what you’re worried about, | 老妈我懂你担心什么 |
[16:08] | but there is more to Reese than you give him credit for! | 但是Reese比你以为的要强 |
[16:10] | I wish I could believe that | 我也很希望真是这样 |
[16:12] | Honey, I have to go, there’s another call. | 宝贝 我得挂了 又进来一个电话 |
[16:15] | Hello? Yes, this is she. | 哪位 我就是 |
[16:19] | This is Peter Noyes, Reese’s Chemistry teacher. | 我是Peter Noyes Reese的化学老师 |
[16:22] | I’m sure you remember me from last year’s hearing. | 你应该还记得我去年打电话给过你的 |
[16:24] | There’s something new I have to discuss with you. | 有件新鲜事要和你谈谈 |
[16:28] | Oh my god, what did he do now? | 老天爷 他又干什么了 |
[16:31] | Your son… | 你们儿子他 |
[16:33] | He got an A on his midterm? | 他期中得了个A吗 |
[16:36] | They matched the handwriting, they had him reenact the experiment, | 他们比对了字迹 还让他重现实验 |
[16:40] | he did it himself! | 他是自己完成的 |
[16:42] | Mr Noyes said it is the most remarkable turnaround he’s ever seen! | Noyes老师说这是他见过的最大转变 |
[16:44] | Wow! | 哇 |
[16:47] | He also said that we should be really proud of ourselves! | 他还说我们真应该为自己骄傲 |
[16:54] | Hey Ira, listen, do you have that essay I wrote? | Ira 我给你写的文章还在吗 |
[16:58] | I just want to make one quick change. | 有个地方我想很快改动一下 |
[16:59] | Yeah, sure. | 当然 |
[17:01] | The change I want to make is this. | 我要做的改动就是这样 |
[17:07] | Was it too long? | 是文章太长了吗 |
[17:08] | No. Listen Ira, everyone gives you breaks, | 不是的 Ira 所有人替你解决问题 |
[17:13] | everyone does everything for you. | 所有人为你打点一切 |
[17:14] | You might think it’s good, but it’s not. | 你可能觉得不错 但其实不是的 |
[17:16] | They’re telling you you’re an idiot, and you’re not an idiot. | 他们告诉你你是白痴 可你并不是 |
[17:19] | You can write this essay. You can write this essay on your own! | 你能写这文章 自己就写得出 |
[17:22] | Remember that story you told me about | 还记得你告诉我你有次 |
[17:24] | the two pound steak you once ate? | 吃掉两磅牛肉的故事么 |
[17:26] | You thought it would be impossible, | 你以为不可能 |
[17:28] | but you took it one bite at a time, and you did it. | 但你一点点吃 于是吃完了 |
[17:30] | You just need to do the same thing with your essay. | 写文章也是一样的道理 |
[17:32] | Ok, I’ll try. | 好吧 我试试 |
[17:34] | And then I pretended I was Rocky, | 于是我假装自己新手 |
[17:36] | and I told Mr T, go for it. | 还告诉T先生 来吧 |
[17:38] | I really wished his Mohawk fell off when he got hit. | 我真希望冲撞时他的莫西干头摔下来 |
[17:42] | The end. | 完 |
[17:44] | Thanks, Malcolm. | 谢谢你 Malcolm |
[17:45] | This is the most words I ever put together in my life! | 我可是第一次把这么多词组织起来 |
[17:47] | Yeah, it shows. | 可不是吗 |
[17:51] | Mmmm, this is amazing. I think the lemon zest really brings it to life. | 太惊叹了 柠檬把这道菜带活了 |
[17:56] | How’s your dinner? | 你晚饭咋样 |
[17:57] | I’m having a half frozen Lean Cuisine! | 我正吃半盆精益厨艺冷冻食品 |
[18:00] | Not much of a last meal if you ask me! | 不太能算最好的 |
[18:07] | What are you doing here? | 你们来这干嘛 |
[18:08] | Can we come in? | 能进来么 |
[18:09] | Sure. You want some dinner? | 当然 要吃晚饭么 |
[18:11] | No, but thank you, Reese. | 不了 不过谢谢你了 Reese |
[18:13] | Seriously, I just got a Convection oven, | 真的 我刚弄到了热风电烤箱 |
[18:15] | I can whip you up a frittata in ten minutes. | 我可以十分钟给你们烤个意式烘蛋 |
[18:17] | It’s spotless. | 这么干净 |
[18:19] | Reese, we came here to do something. | Reese我们来这儿是为了做件事情 |
[18:21] | It goes against all of our instincts, | 这和我们的直觉不符 |
[18:24] | and even as I’m about to do it, | 即便我就要这么做了 |
[18:26] | it doesn’t feel right, but, | 感觉还是不对 |
[18:27] | seems our instincts aren’t very good lately, | 但是我们的直觉最近不太灵光 |
[18:30] | so, here goes. | 所以事情是这样的 |
[18:32] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[18:33] | Reese, we love you, | Reese 我们爱你 |
[18:34] | and we think you might be better off staying here. | 我们觉得你最好还是住在这里 |
[18:37] | Really? | 果真吗 |
[18:38] | Honest to God, you seem to be doing much better without us. | 老实说 没有我们你做的好太多了 |
[18:41] | Let’s face it, in seventeen years with us, | 面对现实 和我们待了17年 |
[18:43] | you have spent more days in juvenile court than you have in school. | 你在少年法庭待的时间比在学校还多 |
[18:46] | But now, after ten days on your own, | 现在你独立了十天 |
[18:48] | you’re a functioning member of society. | 你已经成为对社会有用的人了 |
[18:52] | Wow. I must have really changed. I don’t even want to rub it in. | 我真是转性了 我甚至没想蹬鼻子上脸 |
[18:59] | Mail call. I confiscated your Victoria’s Secret catalogue, | 送邮件 我截留了你的维密内衣目录 |
[19:02] | A kid your age… | 你这么大孩子 |
[19:04] | Oh, you’re entertaining. | 你在招待客人啊 |
[19:05] | Teddy, these are my parents, Mom, Dad, this is my neighbor, Teddy. | Teddy 这我爸妈 爸妈 这是我邻居Teddy |
[19:08] | – Hello. – This visitation thing will be an era soon. | – 你好 – 你现在拜访转眼就会成为常住 |
[19:13] | You know, this place isn’t so bad. | 这地方也不赖 |
[19:15] | Next time we come, we can bring some plants. | 下次来我们可以带些植物 |
[19:18] | Sweet. Hold on a second. | 太好了 等我一下 |
[19:22] | Hi, I just got your Deluxe Platinum card, | 我拿到了你们的白金卡 |
[19:24] | and I want to activate it. 2471. | 现在要激活 2471 |
[19:28] | Now listen, I already transferred a 3000 dollar balance | 我已经把三千刀的贷款额度 |
[19:30] | from the Federal card over to my Spring Mills Mutual card | 从发达卡转到了我的Spring Mills通卡 |
[19:33] | because I have an 8000 dollar limit, | 因为我有八千刀的额度 |
[19:35] | but since I’m already bumping against that, | 不过既然我已经拿到这张卡 |
[19:37] | I may as well transfer to yours | 我也可以转到你们那里来 |
[19:38] | because it has a 20000 dollar limit. | 反正你们有两万刀额度 |
[19:41] | Sure, I’d love to talk to your supervisor. | 好啊 我可以和你们主管谈谈 |
[19:43] | Hey, I was on the phone! | 我在通电话呢 |
[19:44] | You’ve been using credit cards? How much have you spent? | 你一直在用信用卡吗 用了多少了 |
[19:47] | Ten, eleven grand. | 一万刀还是一万一千刀 |
[19:49] | But I’m still way under the twenty thousand dollar limit. | 不过我还远远没刷爆两万的额度 |
[19:51] | How can you spend that much in ten days? | 你十天里面怎么能花掉那么多钱 |
[19:53] | Well, you know, I got that new Convection oven, | 我买了新的热风电烤箱 |
[19:55] | and then that made the refrigerator look kind of shabby, | 这样就显得旧冰箱有点破旧不搭 |
[19:57] | plus I had to buy new clothes every time mine got dirty. | 另外衣服脏了我得买新的吧 |
[19:59] | And that giant gong in the bathroom. | 还有浴室里那个大铜锣 |
[20:01] | I mean, how do you guys do it? | 不然你们还有其他方法搞定这些吗 |
[20:06] | Reese, I really owe you some thanks | Reese 我要好好谢谢你 |
[20:08] | for giving me some faith in myself. | 你还真是让我找回了自信 |
[20:10] | The next few days, I will be saying very little, | 接着几天我都不稀罕说你 |
[20:13] | I will be deciding on a punishment, | 我要盘算着怎么好好罚你 |
[20:15] | ideas are already popping in my mind, | 我脑海里已经冒出很多想法了 |
[20:17] | it’s very exciting. | 可有趣了 |
[20:18] | But I don’t want to get hastie | 不过我可不想操之过急 |
[20:19] | and leave either of us feeling dissatisfied. | 以免给我们留下遗憾 |
[20:22] | Are you going to drag me all the way home? | 你要一路这样拖我回家吗 |
[20:24] | Well we are taking your ear there. | 先带你耳朵回家 |
[20:25] | If the rest of you wants to come, that’s fine too. | 耳朵以外部分要回去 请随意 |
[20:29] | It’s been almost a month, | 都快一个月了 |
[20:30] | and Mom’s still coming up with fresh punishments for Reese. | 老妈还在不断构思惩罚Reese的新鲜点子 |
[20:33] | She says she’s never felt more creative. | 她说自己从未如此才思泉涌 |
[20:35] | She must be doing something right. | 她一定是做对了什么 |
[20:36] | He has a white streak in his hair. | 他都愁出白头发了 |
[20:38] | Hey Malcolm, guess what! I got accepted, I’m going to college! | Malcolm 我想我被录取了 我能上大学了 |
[20:41] | Really, which school? | 真的 哪家 |
[20:42] | All of them. A&M, Georgia, Stamford, | 所有的 A&M 佐治亚 斯坦福 |
[20:46] | full scholarships and everything! | 全额奖学金和所有其他待遇 |
[20:48] | Stanford liked your essay? | 斯坦福也喜欢你的文章吗 |
[20:50] | No, I forgot to put it in the envelope. | 不 我忘记把它封进信封了 |
[20:51] | I got in anyway. | 反正我还是进了 |
[20:53] | Don’t worry, that essay didn’t go to waste. | 别担心 文章没白瞎 |
[20:54] | I handed it in as my Math midterm and got an A. | 我把它当数学期中考交上去还得了个A |
[20:58] | Thanks for making me believe in myself, Malcolm. | 谢谢你让我获得自信 Malcolm |
[21:00] | You’ve proved that I don’t need all these people helping me. | 你证明了我不需要所有那些人帮忙 |
[21:02] | Seeya! | 回见 |
[21:05] | Stanford, poor guy. | 斯坦福 可怜娃 |
[21:08] | I bet he doesn’t know it only has | 我打赌他不知道那里只有 |
[21:10] | the THIRD best Astro-Physics department in the country. | 全国排名第三的天体物理专业 |