时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | I want to talk about your colleagues in the tech area. | 我想和你谈谈你在技术区的同事 |
[00:05] | Why don’t you ask Frank? | 你为什么不直接问法兰克呢 |
[00:07] | You’re the best student I ever had | 你是我教过最优秀的学生 |
[00:08] | and you know that I would back you to the edge of the Earth. | 你也知道就算山穷水尽我也会支持你 |
[00:11] | – You are a biologist? – Botanist. | -你是个生物学家吗 -植物学家 |
[00:13] | Here I’m just a physicist’s wife. | 在这里 我不过是物理学家的妻子 |
[00:15] | Too many great minds have been forced to abandon their work. | 太多才华横溢之人被迫放弃工作 |
[00:18] | What a pity it would be to lose another. | 要你也是如此该多遗憾 |
[00:20] | It’s an artificial hive. I want to study them. | 是人造蜂巢 我想研究它们 |
[00:23] | Suspicious words and phrases updated hourly. | 可疑词汇和短语每小时更新一次 |
[00:25] | If you hear any of these words, | 你只要听见这上面的词出现 |
[00:27] | you’re gonna press this button | 就按这个键 |
[00:28] | and security will hop on the line. | 安保人员就会开始监听 |
[00:30] | Something I need to tell you. We’re building a weapon. | 有些事我得告诉你 我们在造一种武器 |
[00:33] | No inglés. | 我不会英文 |
[00:35] | You read a paper of mine. | 你看过我的论文 |
[00:37] | – “New Approach to Nuclear Cosmology.” – Right. | -“核宇宙学的新探究方法” -没错 |
[00:39] | Your approach wasn’t new. | 你的方法并不算创新 |
[00:41] | You’re a self-righteous old man on his professional death bed. | 而你是个自以为是职业生涯即将终结的老头 |
[00:45] | Akley might not know what you really are, | 奥克利可能并不真正了解你 |
[00:46] | but I do. | 但我了解 |
[00:49] | It’s KPS, community radio. | 这里是KPS社区电台 |
[00:51] | On our first day of broadcast on the Hill, | 今天是我们第一天在镇上广播 |
[00:52] | we take you to a distant land. | 我们会带你们去一个 |
[00:55] | It can’t be found in any atlas. | 地图上都无迹可寻的地方 |
[00:57] | This is “Memories of You.” | 接下来这首歌是《往事追忆》 |
[01:21] | I know your secret. | 我知道你的秘密 |
[01:25] | Don’t tell your girlfriends. | 别跟你的闺蜜说 |
[01:28] | I don’t want their husbands stealing my technique. | 我不想让她们的丈夫偷学我的花样 |
[01:32] | That’s not what I’m talking about. | 我不是在说这个 |
[01:36] | For the last few weeks you’ve been home for dinner every night. | 这几周你每晚都回家吃饭 |
[01:40] | You’ve barely set foot in the tech area over the weekend. | 周末也不去技术去了 |
[01:47] | We’re going back to Brookline. | 我们要回布鲁克林了 |
[01:49] | The project’s winding down. | 这个计划要结束了 |
[01:51] | Niels Bohr helped you finish it, didn’t he? | 尼尔斯·玻尔帮你完成的 对吧 |
[01:53] | We’re not winding down, Abby. | 我们还远没有结束 艾比 |
[01:56] | We’re just getting started. | 我们才刚刚开始 |
[02:01] | Then what is it? You love your job. | 那是怎么了 你爱你的工作 |
[02:04] | It’s complicated. | 这事很复杂 |
[02:09] | Hey, I’m glad we’re not going just yet. | 我很高兴我们不是马上要走 |
[02:13] | My job’s quite fun, actually. | 我的工作其实还挺有趣的 |
[02:15] | Not that they’re gonna give | 虽然他们肯定不会 |
[02:16] | a switchboard girl a Nobel Peace Prize. | 把诺贝尔和平奖颁给一个接电话的女孩 |
[04:14] | Did she die? | 车坏了吗 |
[04:17] | Looked like you might have been sputtering out back there. | 刚刚你车看着像是熄火了 |
[04:22] | Uh, the engine’s fine. | 引擎没问题 |
[04:24] | I’m a bit of a shade tree mechanic. | 我算是个半吊子的汽修工 |
[04:26] | You want me to take a gander under the hood? | 需要我帮你检查下引擎吗 |
[04:29] | Um, I should be on my way. | 我该上路了 |
[04:33] | Something special for the old lady? | 为妻子准备的特别礼物吗 |
[04:36] | Mine wants and electric blender for her birthday. | 我妻子想要电动搅拌机作为生日礼物 |
[04:40] | Like I’m Andrew Carnegie. | 我又不是安德鲁·卡内基[钢铁大王] |
[04:43] | Anyway, you drive safe. | 不管怎样 小心驾驶 |
[06:07] | You double-checked the center of gravity on the alignment rod? | 你仔细检查过校准棍的重心了吗 |
[06:11] | I told you it’s good. | 我跟你说了没问题 |
[06:13] | You look a little out to lunch is all. | 你看着有点心不在焉 |
[06:15] | Better pull it together before the presentation. | 最好在做报告前回过神来 |
[06:20] | Ante up. | 下注吧 |
[06:22] | A buck for the betting pool. | 一注是一美元 |
[06:24] | How many Krauts we’re gonna vaporize. | 赌我们能炸死多少德国人 |
[06:27] | I don’t gamble. | 我不赌博 |
[06:29] | Here it comes. | 开始了 |
[06:35] | Auf wiedersehen. | 再见了 |
[06:43] | This is Frank Winter. I need an outside line. | 我是法兰克·温特 我要接外线 |
[06:46] | Indiana. | 印第安纳州 |
[06:54] | Is that Chanel No. 5? | 那是香奈儿5号吗 |
[06:57] | I thought they stopped shipping that? | 我以为已经暂停出售了 |
[06:58] | Oh, my mother planned ahead. | 是我妈妈提前储存的 |
[07:00] | Emptied the pantry | 她腾空了食品储藏室 |
[07:01] | and filled it with bottles. | 各式瓶子里都灌满了 |
[07:03] | The Nazi flag is flying over Paris | 巴黎马上要被纳粹攻陷 |
[07:05] | and the thing she fears most is running out of perfume. | 而她最担心的是没有香水用了 |
[07:11] | How’s that sweetheart of yours? | 你的女朋友怎么样 |
[07:15] | Can’t complain. | 没什么好抱怨的 |
[07:17] | Pretty thing like her, I wouldn’t either. | 像她那样的可人儿 我也不会抱怨 |
[07:19] | Big man on campus. | 校园红人啊 |
[07:21] | – Your classes good? – Same old. | -你课上的怎么样 -老样子 |
[07:23] | World buys new shoes, academia digs in its heels. | 世界日新月异 学术界还是老样子 |
[07:26] | Now, Frank, have you figured out | 法兰克 你想清楚 |
[07:28] | what you’re gonna do when you graduate? | 毕业后打算干什么了吗 |
[07:31] | God bless you. What, are you sick? | 上帝保佑你 怎么了 你病了吗 |
[07:35] | Uh, it’s just a cold. | 只是小感冒 |
[07:37] | Well, just get yourself a good winter coat. | 好吧 给自己买件好大衣 |
[07:40] | A young man like you need a good coat and a sharp razor. | 你这样的年轻人需要件好大衣和把快剃刀 |
[07:44] | How’s that sweetheart of yours? | 你女朋友怎么样 |
[07:46] | She’s good. She’s good. | 她很好 很好 |
[07:49] | I’d better get going. | 我得挂了 |
[07:51] | Happy birthday, Pop. | 生日快乐 爸 |
[07:57] | Gesundheit. | 祝你健康 |
[08:06] | Oh, old man’s birthday, huh? | 今天是你父亲生日啊 |
[08:09] | 88 years. | 88岁生日 |
[08:11] | He’ll bury all of us. | 他会比我们都活的长 |
[08:12] | Did you talk to him? | 你给他打电话了吗 |
[08:14] | He thinks I’m an undergrad at Columbia. | 他以为我还在哥伦比亚大学读本科呢 |
[08:17] | Silver lining is he doesn’t remember | 好的一面是他也不记得 |
[08:18] | what a son of a bitch he used to be. | 他自己以前有多么混蛋了 |
[08:20] | Well, space-time is curved. | 时空可是有轮回的 |
[08:21] | Maybe we’re all living in the past, huh? | 说不定我们都算生活在过去呢 |
[08:25] | Good to know at least | 很高兴知道 |
[08:25] | one senior citizen has his faculties intact. | 至少还有一个智力健全的老人 |
[08:32] | Ham on rye. | 火腿黑面包 |
[08:34] | Want me to cut the crusts off for you, kiddo? | 要我帮你给三明治去皮吗 孩子 |
[08:39] | Out task was to present a prototype | 我们是来向您演示一种 |
[08:41] | with an ignition system that’s not only functional but reliable. | 既安全又可靠的点火系统 |
[08:45] | We’ve incorporated | 我们加入了 |
[08:48] | redundant triggering mechanisms | 多重触发机制 |
[08:51] | that must all agree before the propellant is fired. | 所有条件满足才会点火发射 |
[08:54] | This ensures that detonation occurs at the optimal altitude | 这确保了爆炸在最优高度发生 |
[08:57] | maximizing blast radius and guaranteeing the– | 确保了最大的爆破半径 而且保证了 |
[09:04] | guaranteeing the most efficient destruction of targets | 保证了对人员或建筑都能进行 |
[09:08] | both hard and soft. | 最有效的打击 |
[09:12] | It’ll never fly. | 它飞不起来的 |
[09:14] | The ignition system? | 点火系统吗 |
[09:16] | The plane. Too goddamn heavy. | 飞机 太重了 |
[09:20] | Major, maybe you haven’t accounted | 少校 也许您没有减掉 |
[09:21] | for the weight removed from the B-29’s three gun posts. | 从B-29上去掉的三架机枪的重量 |
[09:24] | You haven’t accounted for fuel. | 是你没有算燃料 |
[09:25] | The weight and balance specs don’t include petrol. | 重量平衡参数没包括汽油 |
[09:30] | Gassed up, the B-29 tips 26 tons heavier | 加满油的话 B-29将比 |
[09:32] | than when it rolls off the assembly line. | 刚完成装配时重26吨 |
[09:35] | Try to fly that thing, | 你来试试把这玩意儿弄上天 |
[09:36] | she’ll wind up in the drink. | 这么重它一定会掉下来 |
[09:38] | I wasn’t informed. | 这我真不知道 |
[09:39] | That airplanes run on gas? | 你不知道飞机需要燃料吗 |
[09:42] | Bottom line is you’re no closer | 总而言之 相比两周前 |
[09:43] | to a deliverable weapon than you were two weeks ago. | 你这个可运送武器的研发依然毫无进展 |
[09:51] | How the hell are we supposed to cut 800 pounds? | 我们要怎么再减掉362公斤的重量啊 |
[09:53] | It’s a modified cannon. Cannons are heavy. | 这是种改良型大炮 大炮就必须要重 |
[09:56] | They have to be or they bust apart when you fire them. | 否则发射时它们自己就会先炸开 |
[09:58] | Turns out our Jesus can’t walk on water after all. | 看来我们的神也不是万能的嘛 |
[10:02] | Don’t worry about it, Chuck. | 别担心 查克 |
[10:03] | We mortals have more fun anyway. | 当凡人一样能像神仙般逍遥 |
[10:05] | We’re talking about 2,000 years of ballistic science. | 我们在讨论的是两千年来的弹道学 |
[10:07] | Have another drink. | 再来一杯吧 |
[10:09] | I’ve had plenty. | 我喝的够多了 |
[10:10] | Well, your little oversight set us back two weeks. | 你的疏忽已经让我们的进度推迟了两周 |
[10:12] | What’s one more night? | 多耽搁一晚上又能怎样呢 |
[10:16] | I didn’t order that. | 这不是我点的 |
[10:24] | Heard you caught a bad beat | 听说今天我们军工厂的伙计 |
[10:25] | with our friends over in ordnance today, huh? | 驳回了你的好计划 |
[10:33] | Got to put that cannon of yours on a diet, huh? | 让你给大炮减减肥是吗 |
[10:35] | Compartmentalization. Can’t really talk about it. | 你我任务不同 我不能和你讨论 |
[10:38] | You know… | 你知道 |
[10:41] | I had a neighbor once. | 我曾经有个邻居 |
[10:43] | Big beefcake of a guy | 空有一身肌肉 |
[10:45] | who couldn’t please his wife. | 却没法满足他妻子 |
[10:48] | So he hatches a theory. | 所以他就想出了一个理论 |
[10:50] | If he screws her more often, | 只要他多和她做爱 |
[10:52] | eventually she’ll whistle like a teakettle. | 终有一天会满足她的 |
[10:53] | So he drives home from work for a nooner, | 所以他工作中也抽空回家和她亲密 |
[10:56] | he wakes her up at 3:00 A.M., | 他会半夜三点把她弄醒 |
[10:58] | he runs in from mowing the lawn. | 他在除草时都会想起这事 |
[10:59] | Bam, zoom. Nothing. | 但是毫无效果 |
[11:02] | So one day the wife’s home alone. | 有一天 他妻子一个人在家 |
[11:05] | Ding-dong. Salesman. | 门铃响了 是位推销员 |
[11:08] | He’s peddling ice boxes. | 卖的是冰箱 |
[11:11] | Now, I don’t know how this slick shrimp does it, | 我真不知道这小子怎么做到的 |
[11:13] | but five minutes later, they are making like a corkscrew. | 但五分钟后 他们已经缠绵在一起了 |
[11:17] | and right out of the gate | 就在大门口 |
[11:20] | she goes kaboom. | 她终于心满意足 |
[11:24] | It turns out | 原来 |
[11:27] | all she needed was one good bang. | 她需要的只是一次成功而已 |
[11:35] | Son of a bitch. | 天哪 |
[11:37] | Is he talking about my wife? | 他是在说我妻子吗 |
[11:39] | Christ, you really are off your game. | 老天 你可真不上道 |
[11:40] | – One good bang. – He’s talking about Thin Man. | -一次成功 -他是在说瘦子 |
[11:43] | 2,000 years of ballistic science only apply | 如果你的大炮只需要发射一次 |
[11:47] | if your cannon needs to fire more than once. | 两千年来的弹道学就未必要成立 |
[11:49] | We want our cannon to bust apart. | 我们要的就是大炮本身炸开 |
[11:53] | It only needs to fire once. | 它只需要发射一次 |
[11:54] | So it can be thinner and lighter. | 这样就可以更轻更小了 |
[11:58] | That old jalopy’s still got some fuel in his tank. | 这老家伙还有两下子 |
[12:01] | He could teach you how to give the goods to your old lady. | 他还能教你怎么满足自己的妻子 |
[12:04] | Yeah, like I need sex tips from a Commie. | 好像我需要共产党员帮忙似的 |
[12:08] | What did you say? | 你说什么 |
[12:12] | Just trying to help. | 我只是想帮忙 |
[12:12] | Like you helped Richard Lavro? | 就像你帮理查德·拉夫罗夫那样吗 |
[12:19] | Good night, gentlemen. | 晚安 先生们 |
[12:24] | Babbit’s a Communist? | 巴比特是个共产党员吗 |
[12:25] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道的 |
[12:26] | He’s friends with Richard Lavro? | 他是理查德·拉夫罗夫的朋友吗 |
[12:39] | Glen Babbit has been part of this project since there was a project. | 格兰·巴比特从一开始就参与了本计划 |
[12:42] | He slept in a tent for two weeks | 没有地方安置他的时候 |
[12:44] | when we had no place else to put him. | 他曾经在帐篷里睡了两周 |
[12:45] | And he never complained. Besides, he’s a Jew. | 可他从没抱怨过 而且他还是犹太人 |
[12:48] | This is not a man who’s passing secrets to the Germans. | 他怎么可能会向德国人泄密 |
[12:51] | You’re focused on today’s problem. | 你只看到了眼前的问题 |
[12:54] | I’m talking about tomorrow’s. | 我所说的是未来的隐患 |
[12:56] | You can’t swing a dead animal up on this Hill | 这个地方参加过 |
[12:57] | without hitting some genius who attended a Communist rally. | 共产主义集会的科学家多了去了 |
[13:00] | Including Robert Oppenheimer. | 罗伯特·奥本海默也参加过 |
[13:02] | Yes, but Oppenheimer never knew Richard Lavro. | 对 但奥本海默可不认识理查德·拉夫罗夫 |
[13:07] | The physicist’s physicist. | 那是物理学家中的翘楚 |
[13:09] | Made some of the key discoveries in quantum theory. | 在量子理论领域有许多重大发现 |
[13:11] | Tenured at Harvard until October, 1939, | 曾任哈佛大学终身教授 |
[13:14] | when he disappeared. | 直至1939年10月失踪 |
[13:16] | Sounds like you’ve been reading too many ghost stories. | 你是不是鬼故事看多了 |
[13:19] | Richard Lavro is not a ghost. He’s a defector. | 理查德·拉夫罗夫没死 他是个叛国者 |
[13:23] | In ’39, he sailed from New York to London, | 1939年他从纽约坐船去了伦敦 |
[13:24] | then London to Moscow. | 之后从伦敦去了莫斯科 |
[13:26] | Now he directs a group in Laboratory Number Two | 如今他在苏联科学院的二号实验室 |
[13:29] | in the Academy of Sciences. The Soviet Manhattan Project. | 领导一支团队研究苏联的曼哈顿计划 |
[13:31] | What does any of this have to do with Glen Babbit? | 这些与格兰·巴比特有什么关系 |
[13:34] | The USSR is a frozen cow pasture. | 苏联不过是一片冰封的草原 |
[13:36] | They barely have indoor plumbing. | 室内自来水都很罕见 |
[13:37] | Yet somehow, this country that has to import | 然而不知为何 这个连升降机 |
[13:39] | its elevators from Yonkers, has a nuclear program | 都得从扬克斯进口的国家开展了核项目 |
[13:42] | that’s riding up your ass. | 而且正有赶超之势 |
[13:43] | And you think Babbit gave Lavro | 你认为巴比特把我们的核研究资料 |
[13:45] | our nuclear research? | 泄密给了拉夫罗夫 |
[13:46] | Gave, is giving, will continue to give. | 过去 现在 将来一直如此 |
[13:50] | Last time you had a theory, | 上次你有这种想法 |
[13:51] | I ended up with a dead mathematician | 结果死了一位数学家 |
[13:52] | and a 10-page bill for fencing. | 外加十页的修葺围墙账单 |
[13:57] | And you want to disrupt the crucial work that’s happening here | 就因为你想向一个严格说来 |
[14:00] | because you’re waging a war against a country | 算是我们盟国的国家开战 |
[14:01] | that’s technically our ally? | 就来扰乱这里的重要研究吗 |
[14:04] | Technically. | 正是如此 |
[14:06] | I expect your full cooperation. | 希望你能全力配合 |
[14:08] | And I expect the full cooperation of your staff. | 还有你们全员的全力配合 |
[14:12] | Nobody thought to ask Babbit | 巴比特在面试的时候 |
[14:14] | about any of this during his intake interview? | 就没人问过他这些事吗 |
[14:17] | He claimed he never spoke to Lavro. | 他声称从未与拉夫罗夫说过话 |
[14:22] | I lied. | 我说谎了 |
[14:23] | I met him at the Solvay Conference in ’33. | 1933年我在索尔维会议上见过他 |
[14:26] | We ran into each other | 之后几年 |
[14:27] | at a couple of symposiums over the next few years. | 我们在一些研讨会上也遇见过 |
[14:29] | But that’s all. I– | 但仅此而已 我… |
[14:32] | He was a good physicist. | 他是位优秀的物理学家 |
[14:34] | And an active Communist. | 也是名活跃的共产党员 |
[14:35] | 10 years ago, so were half the scientist in America. | 十年前 美国一半的科学家都是共产党员 |
[14:38] | It wasn’t an issue. | 这不是什么大事 |
[14:39] | Well, it becomes an issue | 但你在安全测试时 |
[14:40] | when you lie during your security interview. | 对此撒谎 那就有问题了 |
[14:42] | I got jittery. | 我太紧张了 |
[14:44] | Any connection to Lavro looks bad. | 与拉夫罗夫的一切联系都会对我不利 |
[14:46] | I didn’t think anybody was gonna call me on it. | 我没想到会有人注意这件事 |
[14:49] | Maybe Isaacs was at one of those conferences. | 或许艾萨克参加过某个会议 |
[14:51] | Saw you two talking to each other. | 看到了你们俩在交谈 |
[14:53] | A drunken kid says something stupid in a bar… | 那不过是酒吧里小伙子说的醉话 |
[14:56] | Yeah, and I hear about it from the Security Office. | 我可是从安保办公室听到的消息 |
[14:59] | Did you ever talk to Lavro about fission? | 你跟拉夫罗夫谈过裂变吗 |
[15:02] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[15:05] | Anybody comes to you with questions, | 不管谁来问你 |
[15:07] | you stonewall them. Stick to your story. | 都别搭理他们 不要改口 |
[15:09] | – Jesus, Frank. – You never met him. | -天哪 法兰克 -你没见过他 |
[15:10] | I’m not as good a poker player as you. | 我没你那么会糊弄人 |
[15:12] | Well, you lied to get in here. | 你还不是靠说谎加入这里的 |
[15:16] | You can certainly do it again. | 你当然可以再来一次 |
[15:19] | I’ll find out what the kid knows. | 我去查清楚那小子到底知道些什么 |
[15:21] | Leave it alone, Frank. | 别管他了 法兰克 |
[15:22] | We got the plutonium. | 我们手上有钚材料 |
[15:23] | We got real work to do. | 我们还有活干 |
[15:24] | – It’ll all blow over. – Just like Sid Liao? | -事情会平息的 -和希德·廖一样吗 |
[15:28] | There’s no breeze here, Glen. | 这里任何事情都是大事 格兰 |
[15:30] | Things don’t blow over. | 事情不会就这么平息的 |
[15:51] | Liza. | 莱莎 |
[15:54] | So these are your pets everyone’s buzzing about? | 这就是大家口中你的小宠物吗 |
[15:59] | Well, they won’t bring you your paper, | 它们可不会给你捡报纸 |
[16:01] | but they won’t bite the postman either. | 当然也不会咬邮递员 |
[16:05] | Here. | 给你 |
[16:07] | This was mixed in with ours. | 这个跟我们家的邮件混在一起了 |
[16:09] | I didn’t peek. | 我可没偷看哦 |
[16:24] | So you can see why the journal sent it back. | 杂志把它退回来的原因显而易见 |
[16:27] | I mean, I know the censors have to be vigilant, | 我是说 我知道审查很严格 |
[16:30] | but if you took even a cursory glance, | 可是要是你稍微看一下内容 |
[16:32] | you’d see that nothing in my subject matter is classified. | 你就会发现我的文章中并未涉及保密内容 |
[16:38] | I study plants. | 我研究的是植物 |
[16:39] | In this case, the… | 就此文章而言 |
[16:42] | pollination preferences of the Apis mellifera. | 研究的是意蜂的授粉偏好 |
[16:46] | The European honeybee. | 就是欧洲蜜蜂吧 |
[16:48] | Interesting critters. | 真是有趣的生物 |
[16:50] | I always thought they were only good for ruining picnics. | 我还以为它们唯一的用处就是毁掉野餐呢 |
[16:53] | – Mrs. Winter– – Dr. Winter. | -温特太太 -是温特博士 |
[16:55] | Scientists are prohibited from publishing | 科学家在曼哈顿区任职期间 |
[16:58] | during their tenure in the Manhattan district. | 是不被允许发表论文的 |
[17:00] | I don’t have a tenure here and I’m not employed on the project. | 我不在这工作 我也不隶属于那个项目 |
[17:02] | But you are a scientist. | 可是你是个科学家 |
[17:05] | Captain, I sacrificed my job | 上尉 我牺牲了我的工作 |
[17:08] | to come here with my husband | 跟着我丈夫来到这里 |
[17:09] | because his work is crucial to the war effort. | 只是因为我丈夫的工作对战争很重要 |
[17:11] | Mine is not, but it is crucial to me. | 我的工作对战争无用 但对我很重要 |
[17:16] | Says here, you studied in France. | 这里提到你在法国留过学 |
[17:19] | During college, yes. | 是的 大学的时候 |
[17:20] | Well, I was in France, too. | 我也在法国待过 |
[17:22] | Not the Sorbonne, but the Argonne. | 不过不是在索邦大学 是在阿戈讷 |
[17:29] | You know what I remember most? | 你知道我印象最深的是什么吗 |
[17:31] | The food. | 那里的食物 |
[17:32] | Because that’s what you do in a war– | 因为战争年代你就得这样 |
[17:34] | make the best of it. | 你得随遇而安 |
[17:37] | Before you go, Dr. Winter, | 在你走之前 温特博士 |
[17:40] | your bees, there have been some complaints. | 已经有人开始抱怨你的蜜蜂了 |
[17:57] | Strategic bombing. | 战略轰炸 |
[18:03] | 6,000 civilians on detonation. | 六千多人死于爆炸 |
[18:06] | Our will be 50 times more powerful. | 我们炸弹的威力是这个的五十多倍 |
[18:08] | So suddenly you care about collateral damage? | 你什么时候突然关心起附带的伤害了 |
[18:11] | You didn’t seem to at the PX last night. | 你昨晚在军营贩卖部好像还不在乎 |
[18:15] | I had a lot to drink. | 我喝多了 |
[18:16] | Tell Dr. Babbit I’m sorry. | 帮我和巴比特博士表达下我的歉意 |
[18:17] | Don’t say another word to anyone. | 不要跟任何人透露半个字 |
[18:20] | Don’t even think his name. | 连他的名字都不要想 |
[18:21] | Jesus, relax. I apologize. | 老天啊 放松点 我道歉行了吧 |
[18:23] | You think I give a shit? | 你觉得我在乎这个 |
[18:25] | G-2 shakes your tree, | 军事情报局要是来套你话 |
[18:26] | you make sure nothing falls. | 你要保证他们什么把柄都抓不到 |
[18:28] | You want me to lie to military intelligence? | 你是要我向军事情报部门撒谎吗 |
[18:30] | You saw two men who can think circles around you | 你不过看到了两个比你有才华的人 |
[18:33] | just talking shop at a conference. | 在科研会议上谈天说地罢了 |
[18:36] | There’s no conspiracy. | 并不是在策划什么阴谋 |
[18:37] | Just a figment of your imagination. | 只是你自己虚构出来的 |
[18:40] | I worked as the staff assistant | 我在哈佛大学物理系 |
[18:43] | at the physics department at Harvard. | 当过助理 |
[18:45] | Answered phones, ran the mimeo. | 主要是接电话 油印资料之类的 |
[18:46] | I’m sure your parents were very proud. | 你父母肯定很为你骄傲 |
[18:48] | You just keep your mouth shut. | 你别说出去就行 |
[18:51] | And I delivered mail. | 我还签发邮件 |
[18:54] | One day, an envelope shows up for Dr. Lavro. | 有一天 来了封拉夫罗夫博士的邮件 |
[18:57] | It wasn’t sealed. | 封口没有封上 |
[19:01] | Yeah? Sounds like you’re the one G-2 should be interested in. | 这样看来情报局应该对你感兴趣 |
[19:06] | It was a ticket to London on the Cunard Line. | 那是库纳德邮轮去伦敦的票 |
[19:08] | So what? He defected from London. | 那又怎样 他是从伦敦叛逃过来的 |
[19:15] | It wasn’t for Lavro. | 票不是给拉夫罗夫的 |
[19:18] | His had already arrived. | 他的票已经到了 |
[19:20] | Same sort of envelope. | 差不多一样的信封 |
[19:23] | The ticket was in Babbit’s name. | 票是给巴比特的 |
[19:38] | Fritz, let me borrow that French letter | 福瑞茨 借我你抽屉里的 |
[19:40] | you keep in your drawer. | 避孕套 |
[19:42] | You can’t borrow a condom. | 避孕套不能向人借的 |
[19:44] | Anyway, I already used it. | 而且 我已经用掉了 |
[19:45] | Rubbish. | 扯淡 |
[19:46] | I’ve seen you gaze wistfully at it every day | 自从军队把它发给你后 |
[19:48] | since the army handed it out. | 我每天都看到你望眼欲穿地盯着 |
[19:49] | Meeks has got one too. Take his. | 米克斯也有 拿他的 |
[19:51] | Meeks is in Albuquerque | 米克斯在阿尔伯克基 |
[19:52] | with a chorus girl from “The Wizard of Oz.” | 跟《绿野仙踪》的一个女歌舞团员在一起 |
[19:54] | Tin Man’s probably getting his joints oiled as we speak. | 这会儿 铁皮人可能正在伸展身体呢 |
[19:58] | Meeks has a girlfriend? | 米克斯有女朋友 |
[19:59] | Only a true miser hides a resource he’ll never need. | 吝啬鬼才会把自己用不上的东西藏起来 |
[20:04] | See you later. | 待会儿见 |
[20:10] | Is everybody getting laid but me? | 除了我大家都有性福吗 |
[20:12] | It’s just sex, Fritz. | 只是做爱而已 福瑞茨 |
[20:15] | Is it because I’m husky? | 是因为我胖吗 |
[20:17] | Orson Welles is overweight. | 奥森·威尔士也很胖 |
[20:18] | The paper say he married Rita Hayworth. | 报章说他娶了丽塔·海华斯 |
[20:20] | How long’s it been? | 多久没跟别人上床了 |
[20:22] | – Uh, a little while. – Fritz. | -有段时间了 -福瑞茨 |
[20:25] | 29 years, 11 months, 19 days. | 29年11个月19天 |
[20:32] | Then lets call this an early birthday present. | 那就把这个当作早来的生日礼物 |
[20:41] | Should we put on the radio or something? | 需要开收音机之类的吗 |
[20:45] | What? Oh, no. You’re not gonna do it in my room. | 什么 你别想在我房间里做 |
[20:48] | Get over here. | 过来这里 |
[20:49] | Um, her, her. Not her. | 她 还有她 她不行 |
[20:52] | The one with the bob, she charges by the minute. | 短发的那个 她按分钟计费 |
[20:55] | That’s a good deal if you’re a quick draw | 如果你射得够快的话很划算 |
[20:56] | and you like short hair. | 而且你喜欢短发 |
[20:58] | Wait, you want me to sleep with a– | 等下 你要我上… |
[21:01] | they’re all whores? | 她们都是妓女吗 |
[21:04] | They’re capitalists. | 她们金钱至上 |
[21:05] | It’s basic economics. Supply and demand. | 这是基础经济 供给与需求 |
[21:08] | I took econ at Cornell. | 我在康奈尔学过经济 |
[21:10] | This definitely wasn’t on the syllabus. | 课程大纲上可没这条 |
[21:11] | These girls make $5 a week at the lunch counter, | 这些女孩在午餐柜台一周赚五美元 |
[21:14] | but they’re walking around with gold mines under their skirts. | 但她们懂得开发自己的裙底风光的价值 |
[21:17] | I always thought it would be with someone special. | 我一直以为我的第一次会给一个特别的人 |
[21:21] | Jeanie’s special. She plays the bassoon. | 金妮很特别 她会吹低音管 |
[21:26] | At least she cleans her sheets. | 至少她会清洗床单 |
[21:29] | Why don’t you tell me again? | 你再跟我说说看 |
[21:31] | You met Richard Lavro in 1933. | 你在1933年见过理查德·拉夫罗夫 |
[21:33] | You ran into him at a conference or two. | 你在参加会议时遇见过他一两次 |
[21:34] | Maybe three. Physics is a small pond. | 也许见过三次 物理学家就那么几个 |
[21:37] | But you didn’t really know him? | 但你和他并不熟 |
[21:39] | That’s why you lied during your security interview, | 所以你在安全审查时撒了谎 |
[21:42] | because the fact that you met him wasn’t really relevant. | 因为你见没见过他根本无关紧要 |
[21:44] | To our work here, it wasn’t. | 确实跟这里的工作无关 |
[21:46] | I met Charles Lindbergh once. | 我还见过林白呢 |
[21:48] | Doesn’t make me a fascist. | 并不意味着我是法西斯分子 |
[21:50] | Or an airplane pilot. | 或者我会开飞机 |
[21:52] | You know how G-2 operates. | 你也知道情报部门是怎么运作的 |
[21:54] | If they sniff blood in the water, | 哪怕闻到一丁点血腥味儿 |
[21:56] | if there’s any whiff of impropriety… | 抓到我的一丁点把柄 |
[21:58] | But you lied to me, too. | 但你也对我撒谎了 |
[22:02] | You’re lying right now. | 你现在还在撒谎 |
[22:06] | What did Isaacs tell you? | 艾萨克跟你说什么了 |
[22:12] | A ticket to London. | 去伦敦的船票 |
[22:14] | That’s what he saw. | 他看到了 |
[22:19] | I’m not a Communist, Frank. | 我不是共产党员 法兰克 |
[22:20] | The ticket was in your name. | 船票上写的是你的名字 |
[22:23] | – It was delivered to Lavro. – Oh, Jesus. | -但是寄给拉夫罗夫的 -老天 |
[22:25] | I’ve never even been to London. | 我压根就没去过伦敦 |
[22:27] | So some travel agent made a clerical mistake? | 难道是旅行社不小心把你的名字打上去了 |
[22:31] | Isaacs has imagined this whole thing? | 还是艾萨克编出来的 |
[22:32] | They’re gonna come after you. | 他们眼看就要查到你头上了 |
[22:34] | You better get your story straight. | 你最好把谎编圆了 |
[22:35] | I didn’t get on any boat. | 我根本就没上船 |
[22:36] | But you were going to. | 但你有这个打算 |
[22:39] | Did you help him defect? | 你帮他叛逃了吗 |
[22:40] | Are you passing him information now? | 还是现在正在向他泄露情报 |
[22:42] | No. | 当然没有 |
[22:43] | Then why was your name on that ticket? | 那为什么那张票上写了你的名字 |
[22:46] | – Frank. – Why? | -法兰克 -为什么 |
[22:50] | You know why. | 你知道为什么 |
[22:59] | You know. | 你知道的 |
[23:05] | He asked me to leave with him. | 他想要我和他一起走 |
[23:09] | He thought the ticket would convince me. | 他以为买了票我就会跟他走 |
[23:16] | He wanted to start a new life. | 他想重新开始生活 |
[23:23] | He was naive. | 他太天真了 |
[23:26] | We both were. | 我们两个都是 |
[23:28] | But I have never | 但我绝对没有 |
[23:32] | betrayed my country. | 背叛我的祖国 |
[23:43] | You were married when I met you. | 我认识你的时候你已经结婚了 |
[23:50] | That was a long time ago. | 那是好多年前了 |
[23:58] | From three major publications a year to zero. | 从每年发表三篇核心期刊论文到毫无建树 |
[24:00] | It’s like Agatha Christie. | 跟阿加莎·克里斯蒂一样 |
[24:02] | One day she vanished. | 突然就人间蒸发了 |
[24:06] | Don’t you think those sons of bitches | 你觉得那些混蛋 |
[24:07] | are gonna give my career a funeral with full honors? | 会体面地为我的事业送终吗 |
[24:10] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[24:15] | Well, I’m gonna keep on typing | 反正我会继续写稿 |
[24:17] | and they keep on redacting | 他们也会继续涂改 |
[24:18] | and eventually they’ll run out of ink. | 总会有他们用光墨水的那一天 |
[24:28] | Can you tell me what’s wrong? | 能和我说说出什么事了吗 |
[24:32] | I had a disagreement with Glen. | 我和格兰有点分歧 |
[24:38] | The sort that would ruin | 是那种能让你 |
[24:39] | a perfectly good weekend in Cape May? | 去开普梅[旅游胜地]度假都心神不宁的事吗 |
[24:42] | No. | 不是 |
[24:44] | No, this is different. | 这件事不同 |
[24:46] | Glen lent us his car for our honeymoon. | 格兰把他的车借给我们度蜜月 |
[24:48] | And he sat in the waiting room | 我生孩子时 他还在 |
[24:50] | at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital | 哥伦比亚长老会医院的等候室里 |
[24:52] | for 10 hours when I was in labor. | 陪了我整整十个小时 |
[24:55] | Whatever it is, | 不管这次是什么事 |
[24:57] | apologize and be done with it. | 去道个歉然后就算过去了 |
[24:58] | I don’t even know who I’d be apologizing to. | 我都不认识那个道歉的对象了 |
[25:04] | The man’s not who you think he is. | 他根本不是你印象中那个人 |
[25:06] | He’s been lying to me since the day I met him. | 从我认识他那天起他就在骗我 |
[25:09] | Since the day we met his wife. | 从我们认识他老婆起就都是谎言 |
[25:17] | Glen’s never lied to me. | 格兰从没骗过我 |
[25:21] | And everyone deserves a little privacy, Frank. | 每个人都有秘密 法兰克 |
[25:27] | He told you? | 他告诉你了 |
[25:30] | He didn’t have to. | 他无需开口 |
[25:34] | You know, in all these years, | 你知道吗 这么多年来 |
[25:36] | there’s only ever really been one bone of contention | 我和格兰只会在一件事上 |
[25:39] | between Glen and me. | 产生分歧 |
[25:40] | You know what it is? | 你知道是什么吗 |
[25:44] | No matter what you do, | 无论你做什么 |
[25:47] | he refuses to judge you. | 他都不会对你说三道四 |
[25:56] | Under each arm, | 睡魔的双臂下 |
[25:58] | the Sandman has an umbrella. | 分别夹着一把伞 |
[26:01] | One of them is covered in colorful pictures | 其中一把五彩斑斓 |
[26:06] | of all the wondrous things in the world. | 画着世上最美好的景象 |
[26:10] | And this umbrella, he puts on the headboards of the good children | 他用这把伞罩住好孩子的床头 |
[26:13] | so they will dream wonderful stories all the night through. | 这些孩子就会美梦连连 直到天亮 |
[26:21] | The other umbrella has no pictures. | 另一把伞灰秃秃的 |
[26:25] | It’s black and frayed | 又黑又破 |
[26:27] | and wires poke out. | 伞架都戳出来了 |
[26:30] | The children who get this umbrella | 被这把伞罩着的孩子 |
[26:33] | toss and turn all night long. | 整晚都睡不好觉 |
[26:37] | For they are very bad. | 作为他们不听话的惩罚 |
[26:41] | And when they wake in the morning, | 当他们第二天醒来时 |
[26:44] | they haven’t dreamed anything. | 什么都没梦到 |
[26:52] | They haven’t dreamed anything at all. | 他们什么梦都没做 |
[27:08] | Shall we begin? | 开始吧 |
[27:14] | Some gentlemen from Washington | 华盛顿来的人 |
[27:16] | paid Glen Babbit a visit last night. | 昨晚找格兰·巴比特谈了谈 |
[27:18] | – It wasn’t a social call. – What did Babbit tell them? | -可不是为了嘘寒问暖 -巴比特说了什么 |
[27:21] | That’s not my business. | 那不关我的事 |
[27:22] | What matters now is that you tell them the truth. | 现在重要的是你一定要对他们实话实说 |
[27:25] | They pulled your security file this morning. | 他们今早调阅了你的安全档案 |
[27:26] | Due diligence. They’re gonna put you on record. | 说是例行公务 他们肯定会对你立案调查 |
[27:28] | Whatever you know about Babbit, you have to protect yourself. | 不论你知道巴比特什么事 都要先自保 |
[27:32] | And what if Babbit is not a Communist? | 如果巴比特真的不是共产党员呢 |
[27:36] | You know, when I was a boy, | 跟你说 我小时候 |
[27:39] | my old man, | 我老爸 |
[27:41] | first snow, | 每到初雪的时候 |
[27:44] | he’d stick a Winchester in my hand, | 都会塞给我一把猎枪 |
[27:45] | he’d drag me out to the woods to shoot a whitetail. | 把我拉到树林里去猎白尾鹿 |
[27:50] | We’d sit there | 我们会在那蹲守 |
[27:52] | all day freezing our stones off. | 一整天 冻得要死 |
[27:55] | See, my old man refused to go home | 我父亲要是猎不到东西 |
[27:58] | without a kill. | 就不会回家 |
[28:00] | I read Babbit’s work in college. | 我大学时读过巴比特的著作 |
[28:02] | He is an underappreciated scientist. | 他是位未获赏识的科学家 |
[28:04] | He’s one of the best around. | 他是这里的顶尖人才之一 |
[28:05] | And you want me to shoot him? | 而你想让我撂倒他 |
[28:07] | Charlie, you’re not the hunter here. | 查理 这里的猎人并不是你 |
[28:13] | These men will not go back to Washington | 这些人要是抓不到内奸 |
[28:16] | without a trophy. | 就不会回华盛顿 |
[28:18] | And if they can’t bag a deer, they will settle for a grouse. | 如果他们猎不到熊 松鸡也可以接受 |
[28:26] | You got a brilliant career ahead of you. | 你有大好前程 |
[28:32] | Don’t throw it away | 别为了保护不值得的人 |
[28:34] | by lying to protect the wrong man. | 而撒谎断送了自己的前程 |
[28:43] | I need a word. | 我得跟你谈谈 |
[28:47] | I’m submitting my resignation. | 我准备递交辞呈了 |
[28:49] | I’ll talk to Oppenheimer. | 我会去和奥本海默谈 |
[28:52] | They came by my house. | 他们来过我家 |
[28:54] | What did you tell them? | 你对他们说了什么 |
[28:56] | The last four months, the army’s been trying | 四个月来 军方一直试图 |
[28:57] | to take us behind the woodshed. | 把我们关进大牢 |
[28:59] | I am not giving them any more ammunition. | 我不会做他们的帮凶 |
[29:01] | What did you say? | 你说了什么 |
[29:02] | I stuck with my story just like you told me to. | 我照你说的 坚持了我原来的说法 |
[29:04] | But it doesn’t matter because sooner or later, | 但这已经无关紧要了 因为迟早 |
[29:06] | they’re gonna talk to the kid. | 他们会找那个年轻人谈话 |
[29:07] | It’s better to resign now for the good of the group. | 为了小组 我最好现在就辞职 |
[29:11] | You are the group. | 我们小组非你不可 |
[29:13] | Frank, at some point, | 法兰克 在某些时候 |
[29:14] | we all need to pay for the sins of the past. | 我们都需要为过去的罪孽付出代价 |
[29:17] | I am out of ration stamps. | 我没得选择 |
[29:19] | Not accepted. | 我不接受 |
[29:20] | It won’t be up to you when Isaacs talks. | 艾萨克一旦开口就由不得你了 |
[29:25] | You let me worry about Isaacs. | 艾萨克留给我来解决 |
[29:26] | The kid already said he’s gonna sing. | 那孩子已经说了会如实道出 |
[29:31] | Well, I’ll try a new approach. | 我会试试别的办法 |
[29:59] | She fixed you up with a painted lady? | 她给你介绍了位妓女 |
[30:02] | Our Helen? | 我们的海伦 |
[30:05] | I underestimated both of you. | 我真是小看了你们俩 |
[30:07] | And lo, Prometheus gave man the gift of fire. | 瞧啊 普罗米修斯给人类送来了火种 |
[30:11] | Yup. It was hot. | 对 确实相当火辣 |
[30:14] | So which one of them was it? | 是哪一个 |
[30:15] | Lucy? Peg? | 露西 还是佩格 |
[30:17] | I don’t Kiss and Tell. | 才不告诉你[名人八卦杂志] |
[30:18] | Please. | 拜托 |
[30:20] | Shall I just check the infirmary | 我是不是该去医务室 |
[30:21] | for young ladies with crush wounds? | 问问哪位女士身上有伤 |
[30:24] | I’d look for the girl with the biggest smile on her face. | 要我说 找笑得最灿烂的那位就对了 |
[30:26] | Whoever she is, her moans kept me up half the night. | 不论是谁 她的呻吟搅得我半夜睡不着觉 |
[30:37] | Sorry if we made too much of a racket. | 如果是我们太吵了 我道歉 |
[30:39] | Cut the shit. | 省省吧 |
[30:40] | I’ll tell you why I was up all night. | 我来告诉你为什么我一晚上没得睡 |
[30:42] | Comforting poor Jeanie. | 为了安慰可怜的珍妮 |
[30:43] | She said you ran away | 她说她还没来得及 |
[30:44] | before she could even get your trousers off. | 脱你的裤子 你就跑了 |
[30:46] | No, that’s not true. | 不 不是这样的 |
[30:47] | You knocked over her lamp on the way out. | 你跑出去的时候还撞倒了她的台灯 |
[30:50] | I heard the bulb break. | 我听到灯泡碎了的声音 |
[30:51] | Look, Helen, the truth is– | 海伦 其实是这样的 |
[30:54] | I don’t want to hear it, Fritz. | 我不想听你解释 福瑞茨 |
[30:55] | You just pay her the $2.25. | 你得付她两块两毛五 |
[30:57] | But I didn’t have sex with her! | 可我都还没上她 |
[31:01] | And we agreed on $2 flat. | 而且我们说好了是一晚两块钱 |
[31:03] | Yeah, well, the extra quarter is for the light bulb. | 对 额外的两毛五是灯泡钱 |
[31:12] | You like it? | 你喜欢吗 |
[31:16] | The music on the radio. | 广播里放的音乐 |
[31:18] | Music. | 音乐 |
[31:19] | Music. | 音乐 |
[31:20] | You know, we could teach each other. | 我们可以相互教教对方 |
[31:23] | God knows I need your help with my Spanish. | 我真的很需要你教我西班牙语 |
[31:32] | Do you– | 你 |
[31:34] | do you know what a post office is? | 你知道什么是邮局吗 |
[31:36] | There’s one in the pueblo. | 镇上就有一间 |
[31:39] | Post office? | 邮局 |
[31:43] | El correa? | 邮鱼 |
[31:45] | – El correo. – Correo. | -邮局 -局 |
[31:47] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[31:49] | Do you think… | 你能… |
[31:53] | that you could post that for me? | 替我把这寄出去吗 |
[31:59] | Do you understand? | 你懂我说的吗 |
[32:14] | Operator. | 这儿是总机 |
[32:16] | I need an outside line. | 我需要打外线电话 |
[32:18] | Indiana. | 到印第安纳州 |
[32:51] | Let there be light. | 要有光 |
[32:55] | I’m sorry about the… | 我很抱歉… |
[32:58] | misunderstanding. | 出了点误会 |
[32:59] | I brought your money, too. | 我把上次的钱也带来了 |
[33:07] | I’ve had customers cross the finish line | 我倒见识过好多客人 |
[33:08] | in 10 seconds flat. | 不到十秒钟就射了 |
[33:11] | You’re the first guy | 你还是第一个 |
[33:11] | who didn’t make it to the starting gate. | 裤子还没脱就跑了的 |
[33:14] | I just remembered an equation | 我刚想到了一个公式 |
[33:17] | I hadn’t written down and I didn’t want to forget it. | 得赶紧去记下来 免得忘记了 |
[33:18] | You whiz kids. | 你这个天才少年 |
[33:20] | Always in your heads. | 总是脑子转个不停 |
[33:25] | You deserve some fun every once in a while. | 你应该要好好享乐一次 |
[33:29] | You know… | 你懂的 |
[33:34] | as long as you’re paid up… | 只要你付钱就行 |
[33:45] | Have you seen “The Mummy’s Tomb”? | 你看过《木乃伊之墓》吗 |
[33:47] | It’s playing at the PX. | 贩卖部那正在放映 |
[33:51] | How much does it cost to take you to the movies? | 带你去看电影要多少钱 |
[34:05] | Joey asleep? | 乔伊睡了吗 |
[34:14] | You didn’t– | 你没… |
[34:17] | you didn’t steal something, did you? | 你没偷过东西吧 |
[34:20] | I stole you away | 我把你从布鲁克莱恩 |
[34:21] | from the most eligible Jewish bachelors in Brookline. | 最适婚的犹太单身汉身旁偷走了 |
[34:25] | But you would never cheat, right? | 你永远不会做欺诈的事 对吧 |
[34:31] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呢 |
[34:33] | I don’t know. I– | 我不知道 我 |
[34:36] | I got Frank Winter an outside line today. | 我今天听到法兰克·温特打的外线电话 |
[34:40] | And on the call he said that | 他在电话里说 |
[34:42] | you took work from other scientists | 你盗取其他科学家的成果 |
[34:44] | and published it as your own. | 并以自己的名义发表 |
[34:49] | Well, that’s bullshit, Abby. | 那完全是胡扯 艾比 |
[34:55] | Frank Winter’s had it out for me ever since we got here | 我们来这之后 法兰克·温特就一直针对我 |
[34:58] | ’cause he’s jealous | 因为他嫉妒我 |
[34:59] | ’cause I’ve accomplished more in a few months | 因为我几个月取得的成果 |
[35:01] | than he has in almost a year. | 比他将近一年之内做的还多 |
[35:04] | Tell me exactly what he said. | 告诉我 他到底是怎么说的 |
[35:09] | He was talking to his father. | 他给他爸打的电话 |
[35:13] | But he said he might go to Oppenheimer. | 他说他可能要去找奥本海默 |
[35:15] | He said one conversation | 他说只要和他谈过一次 |
[35:16] | and you’re career would be finished. | 你的事业就完蛋了 |
[35:18] | And I was so upset I had to come home. | 我当时惊慌失措 只好先回家 |
[35:21] | He wasn’t talking to his father. | 他不是说给他爸听的 |
[35:22] | He was talking to you trying to get in my head. | 他是故意讲给你听 想要影响我 |
[35:28] | – So you would never– – Plagiarize? | -所以你没有… -剽窃吗 |
[35:30] | How could you even ask me that? | 你居然这么问我 |
[35:32] | Jesus, Abby. | 天啊 艾比 |
[35:33] | You’re right. I’m sorry. | 你说得对 我错了 |
[35:37] | – I’ve never even cheated on my taxes. – No, you haven’t. | -我甚至都没逃过税 -我知道你没有 |
[35:39] | Now you don’t trust me? | 你还不相信我吗 |
[35:40] | Of course I do. | 我当然信你 |
[36:13] | Was that supposed to scare me? | 你是想要吓唬我吗 |
[36:15] | Shut me up? | 让我就此闭嘴 |
[36:16] | You come into my house with your bullshit accusations, | 你就这样干涉我的家庭 胡乱指控我 |
[36:19] | you toy with my marriage? | 玩弄我的婚姻吗 |
[36:21] | You don’t know me. | 你根本不了解我 |
[36:23] | You don’t know where I’m from. | 你不知道我来自哪里 |
[36:24] | You ever talk to my wife again, I will kill you. | 你再去找我妻子 我会杀了你 |
[36:29] | So classical four-dimensional general relativity | 经典的四维广义相对论 |
[36:33] | combined with the nuclear forces | 与核力结合在一起 |
[36:35] | can explain the relative abundances | 就能够解释宇宙中 |
[36:37] | of all known elements in the universe. | 一切已知元素的相对丰度 |
[36:42] | You finally looked at my paper, congratulations. | 你终于看了我的论文 恭喜啊 |
[36:45] | I looked at it when I rejected it | 我一年前拒绝它 |
[36:46] | from the Physics Review a year ago. | 在《物理评论》上发表时就看过 |
[36:48] | But that line wasn’t a line from your paper. | 但这句话不是你论文里的 |
[36:50] | It was a line from a 1932 graduate dissertation | 而是出自一位叫皮埃尔·布拉热的宇宙学家 |
[36:52] | by a cosmologist named Pierre Brajeux. | 在1932年的毕业论文 |
[36:55] | It was sadly under-read, | 很遗憾它无人问津 |
[36:57] | but I read it in the stacks of Widener Library at Harvard. | 但我在哈佛大学怀德纳图书馆的藏书中读过 |
[37:00] | And so did you. | 你也是 |
[37:01] | Science is a conversation. | 科学在于交流 |
[37:03] | We all stand on the shoulders of giants. | 我们都站在巨人的肩膀上 |
[37:05] | The rest of us don’t pretend to be 1,000 feet tall. | 但我们可不像你装作自己就是巨人 |
[37:10] | – It’s one sentence. – It was a paragraph. | -我只引用了那一句 -是一段话 |
[37:13] | Step by step, word for word. | 每一个步骤 每一个词 一字不差 |
[37:17] | So you’ve been sitting on this for a year waiting for what? | 那你把它瞒了一年 在等什么 |
[37:20] | Let me tell you what’s gonna happen now. | 让我告诉你接下来会发生什么吧 |
[37:22] | You’re gonna fall on your sword. | 你要自己承担后果 |
[37:24] | You’re gonna tell G-2 that you don’t know | 你去告诉情报部门 |
[37:26] | the first damn thing about Glen Babbit. | 对于格兰·巴比特你一无所知 |
[37:32] | It was copied into my notebook. | 我把它抄到了笔记本上 |
[37:36] | I didn’t even realize I’d taken concepts | 在论文发表之前 我甚至都没有意识到 |
[37:38] | from Brajeux until the paper was published. | 我借鉴了布拉热的成果 |
[37:41] | I would have gotten there on my own anyway. | 靠我自己也能得到同样的结论 |
[37:42] | It was an honest mistake. | 这只是无心之过 |
[37:44] | That you could have easily corrected. | 但你本可以很轻易地改正 |
[37:45] | Imagine you wrote a paper | 想象一下你写了篇论文 |
[37:46] | that opened every door in academia. | 为你打开了学术界所有的大门 |
[37:49] | And it wasn’t a fluke. | 而且并非侥幸 |
[37:49] | You had the goods to back it up, | 而是你真才实学的体现 |
[37:51] | but you accidentally borrowed a piece of it. | 但你不小心借鉴了一点点 |
[37:54] | I think the word is plagiarism. | 应该说是剽窃吧 |
[37:55] | One paragraph, not the whole paper. | 一段话 而非整篇论文 |
[37:57] | Not even the lion’s share. Just… | 甚至不是主体部分 只是… |
[37:59] | just a building block. | 只是基本原理 |
[38:00] | Just a steppingstone. | 只是踏脚石而已 |
[38:03] | And nobody noticed. | 并且根本没人注意到 |
[38:07] | Would you come clean? | 如果是你 你会坦白交代吗 |
[38:11] | Doesn’t matter what I would do. | 我怎么做不要紧 |
[38:14] | All that matters is what you do | 重要的是当你走出这间办公室 |
[38:17] | once you leave this office. | 你会怎么做 |
[38:24] | My wife wouldn’t even look me in the eye last night. | 我妻子昨晚都无法直视我的眼睛 |
[39:09] | Excuse me. | 借过 |
[39:11] | How’s your lunch, Captain? | 午餐吃得怎么样 上尉 |
[39:15] | Making the best of it? | 苦中作乐吗 |
[39:16] | Dr. Winter, we’re in the middle of a meeting. | 温特博士 我们正在开会 |
[39:19] | – I’m afraid you– – You are afraid. | -恐怕你… -你是害怕了 |
[39:21] | Aren’t you? | 不是吗 |
[39:23] | Battle-scarred warrior, | 从战争中负伤归来的战士 |
[39:25] | and all it takes to scare you is a woman with half a brain. | 吓到你的却只是一个笨女人 |
[39:27] | If I could make an exception | 对于发表文章的规定 |
[39:29] | to the publication policy, I would. | 如果我能够网开一面 我一定会的 |
[39:31] | But they’re dead. | 但它们都死了 |
[39:33] | All of them. | 全部都死了 |
[39:35] | But you know that, don’t you? | 但你知道 不是吗 |
[39:36] | What? | 什么 |
[39:38] | Wasn’t it enough for you to kill my career? | 你毁了我的事业还不够吗 |
[39:41] | – Who’s dead? – My honey bees. | -谁死了 -我的蜜蜂 |
[39:44] | Oh, this is broad with the bees. | 这里的蜜蜂可就多了 |
[39:49] | Is there anything here | 这里有什么东西 |
[39:51] | that you really care about, Captain? | 是你真正在乎的吗 上尉 |
[39:54] | Maybe you have a scruffy little mutt | 也许在你的军官宿舍里 |
[39:55] | who sleeps on your feet | 有一条脏兮兮的杂种狗 |
[39:57] | at the end of your bed over on Officer’s Row | 睡在你脚边的床下 |
[39:58] | and you leave him tied up out back | 当你回到这儿工作时 |
[40:00] | when you come here to work. | 会把它拴在后院 |
[40:03] | Wouldn’t it be a riot if some rat poison | 如果老鼠药莫名其妙地跑进了 |
[40:05] | found its way into his cute little bowl, hmm? | 他可爱的小碗里 这难道不是暴行吗 |
[40:08] | I don’t have a dog, lady. | 我没有养狗 女士 |
[40:11] | And I’m not the exterminator. | 我也不是灭鼠者 |
[40:12] | Get a hold of yourself. | 请你自重 |
[40:28] | You were at the PX. | 你当时在军营贩卖部 |
[40:30] | Is that right? | 对吗 |
[40:31] | Drinking at the bar in the PX? | 在军营贩卖部的酒吧喝酒 |
[40:36] | That’s correct. | 没错 |
[40:37] | And as the clerical assistant | 作为一名 |
[40:38] | in the physics department at Harvard, | 哈佛大学物理系的助理文员 |
[40:40] | did you ever work for Richard Lavro? | 你是否曾为理查德·拉夫罗夫工作过 |
[40:43] | I worked for all the professors. | 我为所有教授服务 |
[40:44] | And at the PX you made mention that | 而在军营贩卖部你提到了 |
[40:47] | Dr. Babbit had an acquaintance with Dr. Lavro. | 巴比特博士曾与拉夫罗夫博士有私交 |
[40:53] | Is that right? | 对吗 |
[40:57] | Do you have knowledge | 你是否知道 |
[40:59] | that Dr. Babbit knew Lavro? | 巴比特博士认识拉夫罗夫 |
[41:01] | I never met Glen Babbit | 在加入这项计划之前 |
[41:03] | until I joined the project. | 我从未见过格兰·巴比特 |
[41:04] | But you do have reason to believe that Dr. Babbit | 但你是否有理由相信巴比特博士 |
[41:07] | had an association with Dr. Lavro? | 与拉夫罗夫博士有联系 |
[41:10] | That he may have shared | 他有可能泄露了 |
[41:13] | sensitive information? | 敏感信息 |
[41:34] | I don’t know what you did, | 我不知道你做了什么 |
[41:37] | I’m not sure I want to, | 我不确定这是我本意 |
[41:39] | but apparently Isaacs barely remembers | 但显然艾萨克几乎记不起 |
[41:41] | the name Richard Lavro | 理查德·拉夫罗夫的名字 |
[41:44] | or any connection to me. | 或者任何与我的联系 |
[41:50] | You can’t remember something that never happened. | 你不可能记起根本就未曾发生过的事 |
[42:05] | You know the irony? | 你知道讽刺的是什么吗 |
[42:07] | In the Soviet Union, they actually enforce the laws against– | 在苏联 法律是明令禁止.. |
[42:12] | against it. | 是被禁止的 |
[42:15] | Five years hard labor. | 他为此服了五年的苦役 |
[42:23] | I heard he married some girl half his age. | 我听说他娶了个比他小一半的女孩 |
[42:28] | He thought this country could be better. | 他以为那个国家会宽容一些 |
[42:30] | We all did, but I swear, | 我们都以为 但我发誓 |
[42:32] | if I’d known he was gonna defect– | 我要是知道他要叛变… |
[42:33] | You don’t have to explain yourself to me. | 你用不着向我解释你自己的行为 |
[43:49] | Music. | 音乐 |
[43:49] | That’s right, music. | 没错 音乐 |
[43:56] | After I got back from the war, | 我从战场上回来后 |
[43:59] | I met a guy, let me crash in the back of his repair shop. | 遇见一个人 让我在他的修理店后面留宿 |
[44:04] | He didn’t know anything about radios, | 他对无线电一无所知 |
[44:07] | so I fixed them all. | 所以我把它们都修好了 |
[45:12] | He’s with her again. | 他又去找她了 |