时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:30] | Happy Birthday! | 生日快乐! |
[00:43] | Excuse me…may I help you? | 对不起…要我帮忙吗? |
[01:12] | Hi… you okay? | 嗨…你还好吗? |
[01:15] | Yeah, yeah. | 没事,没事 |
[01:18] | No… I’m-I’m okay. | 不…我-我很好 |
[01:19] | You sure? | 你肯定? |
[01:21] | Yeah, I’m sure. | 是的,我肯定 |
[01:24] | But I am never taking our kids to that damn arcade again. | 但我再也不会带我们的孩子去那可恶的回廊了 |
[02:14] | Bridge, come on…you have to eat. | Bridge,拜托…你必须吃饭 |
[02:17] | Bridgette, move it! | Bridgette,快点! |
[02:18] | I have to get to Hannah’s,and Marie has to get to day care! | 我一定要去Hannah的家,而且今天 一定要有人来照顾Marie! |
[02:22] | Bridgette! | |
[02:24] | But I don’t understand. | 但我不明白 |
[02:25] | Mommy said we were going to the park today. | 妈妈说过我们今天会去公园的 |
[02:28] | I don’t know what to tell you, kiddo. | 我不知道该怎么告诉你,老兄 |
[02:30] | Mommy got a call early this morning and she had to rush to work. | 妈妈今天一早接了个电话 她必须马上去上班 |
[02:33] | So you’re coming to the office with me. | 所以你只能和我一起去办公室了 |
[02:35] | But why can’t I go with Ariel? | 但为什么我不能和Ariel一起去? |
[02:37] | Because you’re not invited. | 因为你没有被邀请 |
[02:39] | Because I’m going to Hannah’s | 因为我要去Hannah的家 |
[02:40] | and Hannah and I are going to dance class together. | Hannah和我要一起去上舞蹈课 |
[02:43] | I’m in the car. | 我在车里面等你们 |
[02:44] | But that’s not fair. | 但那不公平 |
[02:46] | How come school gets canceled for teachers’ conferences but not dance class? | 为什么老师们要开会所以不用去上学 但舞蹈课却不可以取消? |
[02:52] | Probably to torture those of us who have to entertain you | 或许是为了折磨那个要招待你 |
[02:54] | and drive you from place to place. | 并开车送你到各个地方去的我们中的一个 |
[02:57] | The death of Amy Bannister is a tragedy. | Amy Bannister的死是一个悲剧 |
[03:00] | But the facts are the facts: | 但事实就是事实: |
[03:03] | Ms. Bannister, after an evening of drinking and drugging, | Bannister小姐,在一晚上的喝酒和吸毒后 |
[03:06] | chose to accompany my client back to his apartment. | 选择陪伴我的客户一起回到他的公寓 |
[03:10] | Unfortunately, that has now turned into a tragedy for both of them. | 不幸的是,现在却演变成他们两个的悲剧 |
[03:13] | And while it may titillate some people to think that something sinister happened that night, | 虽然有一些人会觉得那天晚上发生了一些很险恶的事情 |
[03:17] | the sad truth is that my client was fast asleep when Ms. Bannister apparently entered the bathroom, | 但可悲的真相是,我的当事人很快就睡着了 而Bannister小姐走进洗手间时,很显然 |
[03:24] | slipped, cracked her head open on the shower door and summarily bled to death. | 她滑倒了,一头撞在了浴室的门上,不久由于 流血过多而死亡 |
[03:29] | Mr. Watt… | Watt先生… |
[03:29] | Mr. Watt, Mr. Watt… | Watt先生,Watt先生… |
[03:31] | you said in your opening statements yesterday | 在你昨天的公开声明中曾说过 |
[03:33] | that you’re confident the jury will believe your client’s version | 你非常确信陪审团会相信你的当事人 |
[03:36] | of the events and not the District Attorney’s. | 对于事件的解释,而不会相信检察官的 |
[03:39] | How can you be certain of that? | 你为什么会那么确定? |
[03:40] | Well, my client’s telling the truth. | 因为,我的客户说的都是事实 |
[03:43] | Look, Damon Hodges is a throwback to a time | 瞧,Damon Hodges是一个时期的重现 |
[03:45] | when the phrase “student-athlete actually meant something. | 那时候,大学生运动员有着其特殊的价值 |
[03:49] | Last year, | 去年 |
[03:50] | he led his team into the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament | 他带领他的队伍进入了美国大学生体育锦标赛的八强 |
[03:52] | and made the Dean’s List both semesters. | 并且两个学期都荣登优秀学生榜单 |
[03:55] | Now the District Attorney’s decision to charge him | 而现在,检察官却决定起诉他 |
[03:57] | using a case that relies solely on flimsy circumstantial | 用一个只有脆弱的证据的案子起诉他 |
[04:01] | evidence and hearsay smacks of election year desperation. | 似乎是带着点选举年的绝望 |
[04:05] | I mean, there’s got to be a better way to boost one’s name recognition | 我是说,如果要想增加自己的名望应该有更好的办法 |
[04:08] | than falsely accusing our brightest and our best. | 而不是错误地来指控我们的明星和最好的人 |
[04:11] | Don’t you think? | 你不怎么认为吗? |
[04:13] | Mr. Watt, Mr. Watt… | Watt先生,Watt先生… |
[04:20] | Just a hunch, but I sense that man doesn’t like you. | 只是一种预感,但我觉得那个男人不喜欢你 |
[04:23] | Unfortunately, with this particular client,he has no choice. | 不幸的是,对于这个特殊的当事人,他没有选择 |
[04:27] | Why don’t you folks go ahead in? | 你们为什么不进去呢? |
[04:29] | I’ll join you in a minute. | 我会马上过来的 |
[04:34] | Just between us,I have a witness who’s about to testify | 就我们两个之间的谈话,我有一个目击 证人发誓他可以证明 |
[04:36] | under oath that Amy Bannister never touched a drop of alcohol in her life. | Amy Bannister一生都没有碰过一滴酒精 |
[04:41] | I think it will be quite clear by the time I’m through | 我认为当我证明那个完美先生 |
[04:43] | that Mr. Wonderful drugged Ms. Bannister. | 喂Bannister小姐吸食毒品的时候一切就会 真相大白 |
[04:45] | He raped her,accidentally killed her and then force-fed her alcohol to cover his tracks. | 他强奸了她,不小心把她杀死了 然后强制喂了她酒精来掩盖他的罪行 |
[04:49] | And you can prove that? | 你可以证明吗? |
[04:51] | With my crack team of young turks… | 和我的激进分子组成的小组一起… |
[04:53] | Why, the Mayor nervous? | 你为什么这么问?市长很紧张吗? |
[04:56] | Well, Attorney Watt is right about it being an election year, | Watt律师正致力于选举年的选举 |
[05:00] | and people do prefer being associated with winners. | 而人们会更倾向于和胜者联手 |
[05:05] | Let’s chat at the lunch recess. | 我们午餐休息的时候再谈吧 |
[05:11] | It’s incredible how she does that. | 她这么做真是难以置信 |
[05:12] | You don’t even see her reach for the blade. | 你甚至还没有看见她是如何拿到那把刀的 |
[05:14] | You just look down and there it is,lodged in your gut. | 你只是朝下看了一眼,就看见有把刀 插进了你的心脏 |
[05:19] | What is so fascinating? | 有什么东西那么让你着迷? |
[05:21] | Nothing. I had this crazy dream last night, | 没什么.我昨晚做了一个疯狂的梦 |
[05:24] | and she was wearing the same blouse in it. | 而她和梦里面穿的衬衫是一样的 |
[05:26] | But it’s okay, you were wearing a different tie. | 但没什么,你带的领带是不一样的 |
[05:29] | So, I’m sorry, you asked me to be here early for a reason. | 所以,很抱歉,你让我早点到这里是为什么 |
[05:35] | This young kid’s something of a local celebrity, | 这个年轻的孩子在本地有一些名气 |
[05:37] | and juries are funny with celebrities. | 而陪审团对名人都比较有兴趣 |
[05:39] | Sit with me today and watch ’em, | 所以我让你今天坐我旁边看一下 |
[05:41] | see if you can tell which way they’re leaning. | 看看你是否能告诉我他们更倾向于什么方法 |
[05:43] | That barracuda out there is right. | 外面那条狡猾的鱼说对了 |
[05:45] | It is an election year. | 今年是选举年 |
[05:47] | If you’re not getting a good feeling, I need to know that. | 如果你感觉不妙,我需要知道 |
[05:50] | See if perhaps I want to cut a deal. | 看看我是否需要制定一个方案 |
[05:52] | The government has approached 16 other design firms for bid-designs and proposals. | 政府已经接触了其它16个设计公司 的招标设计书和提议 |
[05:56] | My sense is, if we land this, | 我的理解是,如果我们要得到这个 |
[05:59] | it’s a small piece of a much bigger, much more lucrative pie, | 这个更大,更有利的派中的一小块 |
[06:02] | a pie that this firm would love to ultimately get the lion’s share of. | 这个本公司最终获得最大份额的派 |
[06:07] | So… | 所以… |
[06:09] | let’s sharpen our pencils,ladies and gentlemen,and reconvene…in 48 hours. | 女士们,先生们,让我们削快铅笔,重新设计…在48小时之内 |
[06:18] | He’s kidding, right? | 他在开玩笑,是吧? |
[06:20] | 48 hours to come up with a chip that can withstand that kind of temperature, | 48小时之内要拿出能抵挡那种温度的芯片 |
[06:23] | those kind of G-forces and that atmospheric pressure? | 抵挡那种重力和大气压力的芯片? |
[06:26] | Hey, stop griping. | 嘿,不要抱怨了 |
[06:27] | Smaller, faster, cheaper — that’s what we do. | 更小,更快,更便宜–那就是我们要做的 |
[06:30] | Daddy? | 爸爸? |
[06:33] | What’s that thing? | 那是什么东西? |
[06:35] | What thing is that, honey? | 什么是什么东西,亲爱的? |
[06:36] | That thing you’re talking about building. | 你们正在讨论的要造的东西 |
[06:40] | An algorithmic microprocessor component? | 一个规则系统微处理器元件? |
[06:44] | Well, honey, it’s… | 呃,亲爱的,那是… |
[06:47] | Well, in this case,it’s a little machine that the government wants to use | 在这个单子种,是一种政府想要用来修复 |
[06:51] | to help fix blurry pictures, photographs. | 模糊的图片,照片的机器 |
[06:55] | You give it a blurry photo, | 你给了它一张模糊的照片 |
[06:57] | and then it tells you what the picture’s supposed to really look like. | 它就会告诉你这个图片原本应该是什么样子的 |
[07:00] | Oh. Okay. | 哦,好吧 |
[07:04] | Junior engineer in the making. | 年轻的工程师正在诞生 |
[07:05] | Yes! | 是的! |
[07:08] | Thank you for being so good. | 谢谢你那么乖 |
[07:10] | I know that meeting lasted a long time. | 我知道那个会开了很长的时间 |
[07:12] | Eh, it’s okay,I was doing my picture. | 恩,没有关系,我刚在在画我的画呢 |
[07:15] | Oh, yeah? Let’s see it. | 哦,是吗?让我看看 |
[07:21] | What is this, sweetie? | 这是什么,亲爱的? |
[07:23] | You know. | 你知道 |
[07:24] | It’s an al…gor… rithmic… Whatever that thing is. | 是一个规则…系统…微处理…不管是什么啦 |
[07:30] | No, no, it isn’t. | 不,不,不是这个 |
[07:31] | Yes, it is. | 是的,就是 |
[07:32] | It’s what you and your friends are making. | 这就是你和你的朋友正在做的 |
[07:34] | At least that’s what he thinks you’re making. | 至少这是他认为你们正在做的 |
[07:37] | No, no, he doesn’t. | 不,不,他不是那么想的 |
[07:38] | We’re making a microprocessor. He knows that. | 我们正在造一个微处理器.他知道的 |
[07:42] | It’s part of a very,very small computer. | 这是一个非常非常小的计算机的一部分 |
[07:45] | Oh. Okay. | 哦,好吧 |
[07:47] | Can we do the vending machine thing now? | 我们现在可以去自动贩卖机买东西了吗? |
[07:50] | Ms. Staley, how well do you know Ms. Bannister? | Staley小姐,你对Bannister小姐有多了解? |
[07:53] | We’ve been roommates for over a year and a half. | 我们做了一年半的室友 |
[07:56] | Were you close? | 你们亲密吗? |
[07:57] | I mean… some roommates barely see each other. | 我是说…有些室友几乎都看不见对方 |
[08:00] | I think it would be fair to say that we considered each other best friends. | 我觉得可以说我们都把对方视为自己的好朋友 |
[08:04] | Best friends in college, anyway. | 不管怎样,是大学中的好朋友 |
[08:06] | So when you heard that your best friend, your…best friend in college, anyway, | 所以当你听说你的好朋友…大学中的好朋友 |
[08:10] | had gotten drunk and allegedly slipped in a bathroom | 喝醉了,听说是在浴室滑倒 |
[08:14] | and cracked her head open and then bled to death, what was your reaction? | 并打破了自己的头,然后流血致死 你的反应是什么? |
[08:17] | Well, I knew that it was a lie– | 我觉得那是谎言– |
[08:18] | I knew that it couldn’t have happened that way. | 我觉得事情不可能那样发生 |
[08:20] | Objection, Your Honor. | 抗议,法官 |
[08:21] | The witness knows no such thing. | 证人什么都不知道 |
[08:23] | Duly noted, Counselor. | 请注意你的措词,律师 |
[08:25] | The jury will disregard the witness’s claims oftain | 陪审团会忽略证人的某些主观意见 |
[08:29] | So… what was it about that scenario that gave you pause? | 所以…你为什么觉得那是谎言呢? |
[08:34] | Amy didn’t drink. Not at all. Not ever. | Amy是不喝酒的,一点也不喝,也从来不喝 |
[08:36] | Really? You’re certain of that? | 真的吗?你那么肯定? |
[08:39] | Yeah, she hated drinking; she hated drugs. | 是的,她讨厌喝酒,她讨厌毒品 |
[08:42] | She would go to clubs because that’s what college kids do, | 她会去夜总会是因为大学里的孩子们都去 |
[08:46] | but she would only drink soda water. | 但她只喝苏打水 |
[08:49] | If they found drugs and alcohol in her system,she didn’t put them there. | 如果他们在她的体内发现毒品和酒精 肯定不是她自己弄进去的 |
[08:55] | No further questions at this time, Your Honor. | 我没有其它的问题了,法官 |
[08:59] | Defense counsel,your witness. | 辩护律师,轮到你来问证人 |
[09:07] | So it’s your testimony, Ms. Staley,that, | 所以这就是你的证词,Staley小姐 |
[09:10] | to the best of your knowledge, | 据你的了解 |
[09:11] | Ms. Bannister didn’t drink. | Bannister小姐以前都不喝酒 |
[09:13] | No. It’s my testimony that Ms. Bannister didn’t drink,period. | 不,我的证词是Bannister小姐从来不喝酒 |
[09:17] | Look, I applaud your loyalty to your friend, | 瞧,我非常赞赏你对朋友的忠诚 |
[09:19] | but the truth is, you don’t know that. | 但事实是,你并不知道 |
[09:21] | – I certainly do. – I beg to differ. | – 我非常肯定 – 请恕我不太同意 |
[09:24] | Just because Ms. Bannister may have told you she didn’t drink | 就因为Bannister小姐可能曾经告诉你她不喝酒 |
[09:27] | – doesn’t guarantee that on occasion, she may… – Objection. | – 并不保证在某些场合,她可能… – 抗议 |
[09:30] | Sustained. | 抗议有效 |
[09:32] | This court and the jury recognize that Ms. Staley cannot absolutely warrant | 本法庭和陪审团认识到Staley小姐并不能完全保证 |
[09:36] | that Ms. Bannister has never taken a drink, Counselor. | Bannister小姐从来没有喝过酒,律师 |
[09:40] | Any further questions? | 还有其它的问题了吗? |
[09:51] | Psst. | Psst(为引起别人注意发出的声音) |
[09:53] | Mr. Watt? | Watt先生? |
[09:55] | Mr. Watt, I’m still waiting | Watt先生,我还在等呢 |
[09:57] | to hear if you have any further questions… | 想听一下你是否还有其它的问题… |
[10:04] | Mr. Watt. | Watt先生 |
[10:06] | He’s stalling for some reason. | 他正为了什么理由而拖延时间 |
[10:08] | Mr. Watt. | Watt先生 |
[10:13] | My apologies, Your Honor. | 对不起,法官 |
[10:15] | Um, and I have several more questions,if you please. | 恩,如果允许的话,我还有几个别的问题 |
[10:18] | – Proceed. – Thank you. | – 同意 – 谢谢 |
[10:22] | You knew Ms. Bannister very well, didn’t you, Ms. Staley? | 你非常了解Bannister小姐,是吗,Staley小姐? |
[10:26] | – As I said, we were roommates. – Do you know my client? | – 我说过了,我们是室友 – 你认识我的当事人吗? |
[10:31] | No. I have heard of him,read about him. | 不,我曾经听说过他,读过他的新闻 |
[10:34] | I don’t know him personally. | 我私人并不认识他 |
[10:38] | Well, do you like him? | 那么,你喜欢他吗? |
[10:41] | I… don’t know him. | 我…不认识他 |
[10:42] | But you don’t hate him. | 但你不讨厌他 |
[10:44] | I mean, you have no reason | 我是说,你没有理由 |
[10:46] | to lie here today,no reason to say anything | 在这里撒谎,没有理由说一些 |
[10:48] | that might prejudice this jury against my client. | 会让陪审团对我的当事人产生偏见的话 |
[10:51] | No, of course not. | 不,当然不会 |
[10:53] | I mean, it’s not like you were jealous of him. | 我是说,你并不嫉妒他 |
[10:56] | Excuse me? | 对不起? |
[10:58] | Well, I mean, given…how he felt about Ms. Bannister, and… | 好吧,我是说,他已经说了…他对Bannister 小姐的感觉,那… |
[11:03] | given how you felt about Ms. Bannister. | 你能不能告诉我你对Bannister小姐的感觉? |
[11:06] | Excuse me? | 对不起? |
[11:07] | Well, you were…in love with her… | 好吧,你以前…曾经爱过她… |
[11:10] | weren’t you, Ms. Staley? | 不是吗,Staley小姐? |
[11:21] | Oh, my God. | 哦,上帝 |
[11:23] | A simple “yes” or “no” will suffice. | 只要简单的”是”或”不是”就可以了 |
[11:24] | Uh… | 呃… |
[11:31] | Oh, my God. | 哦,上帝 |
[11:34] | Let the record show that Ms. Staley refused to answer. | 请记录Staley小姐拒绝回答问题 |
[11:39] | No further questions. | 没有其它的问题了 |
[11:47] | Don’t look so shocked. | 不要看起来那么震惊 |
[11:48] | You, of all people,should have seen that coming. | 你,在所有人中,应该是会预见到的 |
[11:52] | Who deposed that woman? | 谁调查了那个女人? |
[11:53] | – I did. For seven hours. – Seven hours? | – 是我,花了7个小时 – 7个小时? |
[11:56] | And in all that time | 在那么多的时间内 |
[11:57] | you didn’t think that perhaps Ms. Staley’s statements might be colored by…? | 你就没有想到或许Staley小姐的陈述 可能会被…? |
[12:00] | – No. No. – Someone on Watt’s team did. | – 没有,没有 – Watt小组的某人做的 |
[12:03] | Happy Birthday. | 生日快乐 |
[12:12] | I want everyone to pore over the witness list, | 我要每个人都去关注证人列表 |
[12:14] | review all the depositions, re-prepare all the witnesses if you have to. | 检查一下所有的证词,如果必须的话 重新准备所有的证据 |
[12:17] | I can’t have another witness torpedoed like that. | 我不能再有证人被像那样受到攻击了 |
[12:20] | – What? – Lloyd’s birthday. | – 什么东西? – Lloyd的生日 |
[12:23] | They wanted to be sure you had a piece. | 他们想你应该来一块 |
[12:25] | I can come back. | 我可以等一下再来 |
[12:26] | No, no…Thank you, Sondra. | 不,不…谢谢,Sondra |
[12:32] | I’m not losing this case. | 我还没有输掉这个案子 |
[12:33] | I may lose a few assistant district attorneys, | 我或许输掉了一些助理检察官 |
[12:36] | but I’m not losing this case. | 但我还没有输掉这个案子 |
[12:38] | – Am I clear? – Yes, sir. | – 听明白了吗? – 是的,先生 |
[12:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:47] | For what it’s worth, most of the jurors are still with you. | 不管怎么样,大部分陪审团的人还站在你这边 |
[12:49] | Well, that’s good to know. | 好吧,这总算是好消息 |
[12:50] | Unfortunately, I need all 12 of them | 不幸的是,我需要他们中的12个人赞同 |
[12:51] | if I’m going to lock this kid up. | 如果我要起诉这个孩子的话 |
[12:53] | Did you happen to notice this woman sitting behind Attorney Watt? | 你有没有注意到坐在Watt律师后面的这个女人? |
[12:56] | She was wearing a scarf on her head. | 她在头上戴了一条头巾 |
[12:58] | You hungry? | 你饿吗? |
[13:00] | Right before Watt went in for the kill, | 就在Watt准备进行还击的之前 |
[13:02] | she leaned forward and whispered something to one of his assistants. | 她探身过去并对他的某个助手耳语了一阵 |
[13:05] | Private detective? Friend of the defendant? | 私家侦探?被告的朋友? |
[13:11] | Damn it. | 他妈的 |
[13:13] | I don’t… I don’t know what to tell you, Allison. | 我不…我不知道该告诉你什么,Allison |
[13:14] | You think it’s important? Should I have someone look into it? | 你觉得这个重要吗?我应不应该找个人去调查一下? |
[13:17] | The Mayor on line one. | 市长在一号线 |
[13:19] | Of course he is. | 当然 |
[13:23] | Court resumes tomorrow at 9:00 a.m. | 法庭明天早上9:00重新开庭 |
[13:24] | – Can you be there? – Of course. | – 你能去那里吗? – 当然 |
[13:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[13:29] | Yes, Mr. Mayor. | 是的,市长先生 |
[13:36] | – Are you all right? – I’m fine. | – 你还好吧? – 我很好 |
[13:39] | – That’s a lovely blouse. – Thanks. It’s new. | – 真是件可爱的衬衫 – 谢谢,这是新衬衫 |
[14:49] | I’m confused. | 我很困惑 |
[14:50] | – You didn’t actually see a man with a gun? – No. | – 你实际上并没有看见一个带着枪的男人? – 没有 |
[14:54] | And yet you felt compelled to scream, | 但你感觉到并尖叫 |
[14:55] | “There’s a man with a gun in the elevator”? | “有一个带着枪的男人在电梯里”? |
[14:57] | Apparently so. | 很明显是这样的 |
[14:59] | Were you expecting a man with a gun? | 你是否期待有个带着枪的男人? |
[15:01] | No. | 没有 |
[15:03] | I made a terrible mistake. | 我犯了个很可怕的错误 |
[15:05] | Are you currently on any kind of prescription medication, Mrs. Dubois? | Dubois夫人,你现在是否正在服用某种处方药物? |
[15:09] | Chief Parker… I recognize that this false alarm was a major inconvenience to you and your staff, | Parker长官…我意识到这个假警报对于 你和你的队员来说是个很大的麻烦 |
[15:15] | me and my staff,but it’s clear to me | 对于我和我的职员来说也是 但对我来说很清楚 |
[15:18] | that what we’re looking at here is a result of a simple mistake in judgment. | 我们在这里正在寻找的是这个简单 的错误的解决方法 |
[15:21] | Well, that’s very understanding of you, Mr. District Attorney, | 非常感谢你的理解,检察官先生 |
[15:23] | but I still have to explain to my bosses on the City Council | 但我还是要向我的在市议会的老板解释 |
[15:25] | why a person would yell “gun” when there is no gun | 为什么有一个人会在没有枪的时候大叫”枪” |
[15:28] | or pull a fire alarm when there is no fire. | 或者是没有火灾的时候拉响火灾警报 |
[15:29] | And I have every confidence you’ll find a way to do that, | 我有信心你会有解决的方案的 |
[15:32] | but if you run into any trouble, | 如果你有遇到任何麻烦 |
[15:33] | be sure to have the people you answer to call me. | 你就让那个人打电话来找我 |
[15:36] | – But, Mr. District… – Thank you, Chief. | – 但是,检察官先生… – 谢谢你,长官 |
[15:38] | Now do we have the all clear to go back in? | 现在我们已经可以解除警报进去了吗? |
[15:41] | Yeah, we’re all clear. | 是的,我们已经解除警报了 |
[15:44] | – I’m sorry, Chief. – Thank you, Chief. | – 对不起,长官 – 谢谢你,长官 |
[15:50] | What is so funny? | 有什么那么好笑的? |
[15:52] | Just imagining the headline in tomorrow’s paper. | 只是想像一下明天报纸的头条新闻 |
[15:55] | “D.A. Burned in Court,Not in Office.” | “地方法院检察官要在法院留下印象,而不是在办公室里” |
[15:58] | I’m so terribly sorry. | 我真的很抱歉 |
[15:59] | I don’t even know where to begin. | 我甚至不知道从何解释 |
[16:01] | It’s okay. I take it this had something to do with a dream? | 没有关系.我想这应该和一个梦有关? |
[16:05] | Excuse me, Mr. District Attorney. | 对不起,检察官先生 |
[16:06] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[16:09] | Are you the one who pulled the alarm ? | 你是那个拉警报的人? |
[16:12] | This is for you. | 这是给你的 |
[16:17] | $500? | |
[16:22] | $500! | |
[16:24] | I’ll pay for it. We’ll take it out of my money. | 我自己来付.我们把钱从我的里面扣掉 |
[16:26] | Your money, my money,it’s all… | 你的钱,我的钱,这是… |
[16:30] | Wait a second, I mean, can’t we appeal this? | 等等,我是说,我们不能上诉吗? |
[16:32] | Well, we can, but we’d lose. | 我们可以,但会输 |
[16:35] | It was a stupid dream when I dreamt it. | 这真是一个愚蠢的梦 |
[16:36] | I didn’t even mention it ’cause it seemed so silly, | 我甚至都没有提过,因为它听起来非常无聊 |
[16:38] | but all the pieces seemed to come together. | 但所有的片段看来都集合到了一起 |
[16:42] | I was so certain. | 我是那么肯定 |
[16:44] | Okay, fine. Well, I’ll just add it to the list | 好吧,没事.我会把这个加到 |
[16:46] | of all the other bills we can’t figure out how to pay. | 所有其它我们不知道如何支付的账单的列表中 |
[16:49] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[16:52] | – Who is it? – It’s me. | – 谁? – 是我 |
[16:54] | Hey, it’s my work buddy. | 嘿,我的工作伙伴 |
[16:56] | What you got there, Pumpkin? | 你怎么会到这里来,小南瓜? |
[16:57] | – It’s a picture. – A picture of what? | – 这是张图片 – 什么的图片? |
[17:01] | – Daddy’s work. – Daddy’s what? | – 爸爸的工作 – 爸爸的什么? |
[17:04] | His bomb. He and his friends are making it at work. | 他的炸弹.他和他的朋友们在工作的时候在做的 |
[17:09] | Bridge, I told you Daddy is not making a bomb. | Bridge,我告诉过你爸爸不是在造炸弹 |
[17:12] | Daddy is making an algorithmic microprocessor component, remember? | 爸爸正在造一个规则系统的微处理器元件,记得吗? |
[17:15] | Whatever you say. | 不管你说什么 |
[17:17] | – Who’s going to tuck me in? – Could we not? | – 谁会把我塞进肚子? – 我们可不可以不要? |
[17:21] | I promised her I’d put it up. | 我答应过她我会放在这里的 |
[17:25] | So where do you think she came up with something like this? | 你觉得她是从哪里得到这些信息的? |
[17:28] | She’s a kid. Who knows? | 她是个孩子,谁知道呢? |
[17:31] | So this component you’re working on — | 那么你正在做的这个元件– |
[17:33] | what exactly is it a component of? | 正确来讲是什么东西的元件? |
[17:34] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[17:35] | It could be the component of a lot of things, | 这可以是许多东西的元件 |
[17:37] | but one thing I’m reasonably certain of it isn’t a component of a bomb. | 但有一件事我可以非常肯定,这肯定不是炸弹的元件 |
[17:42] | And how are you so sure? | 你为什么这么确信? |
[17:43] | Because, my dear, my company doesn’t make bombs. | 因为,亲爱的,我的公司不生产炸弹 |
[17:46] | We’re an aeronautical firm, remember? | 我们是一家航空公司,记得吗? |
[17:47] | As in airplanes and gliders and spaceships. | 在飞机,滑翔机和太空船里面 |
[17:49] | Not things that go boom. | 没有什么东西是需要爆炸的 |
[17:53] | What? | 怎么了? |
[17:53] | Nothing. It’s just… | 没什么,只是… |
[17:56] | I’m not the only person who gets feelings in this house, you know? | 我不是这个屋子中唯一会有感觉的人,你知道吗? |
[18:01] | If you don’t know what it is you’re building, you might think about asking somebody, that’s all. | 如果你不知道你在造的是什么,你或许应该想去问问谁,就这样 |
[18:06] | Okay, I’ll add that to my to-do list. | 好吧,我会把这件事加到我的需要做的事情的列表中 |
[18:08] | Since I have to be up in six hours, you’ll understand if it doesn’t go right to the top. | 因为我必须在6个小时之后起床 你会明白到屋顶上去是不对的 |
[18:28] | You okay? | 你还好吧? |
[18:30] | Fine. It’s just this stupid dream | 还好,只是就是这个愚蠢的梦 |
[18:59] | Ah, so that’s who you are. | 啊,知道你是谁了 |
[19:07] | You’re kidding me. | 你在搞笑吧 |
[19:09] | Watt hired a psychic of his own? | Watt帮自己雇了个灵媒? |
[19:11] | A pretty good one, too, according to her Web site. | 一个非常好的灵媒,根据她的网页上说 |
[19:15] | Supposedly, she’s been working with the Albuquerque police on missing persons cases for years. | 据说,她已经帮爱伯克奇(美国新墨西哥州中部城市) 的警察处理了很多年失踪人口的问题 |
[19:19] | Although they won’t corroborate that on the record. | 尽管他们没有在记录中确证过 |
[19:22] | Supposedly, even the FBI calls her for a consult every once in a while… | 据说,FBI偶尔会打电话给她做一些咨询… |
[19:25] | although they, too, won’t corroborate. | 尽管他们,也没有确证 |
[19:27] | She’s worked missing persons, kidnapping cases, serial killers, you name it. | 她处理失踪人口,绑架案,系列杀人案 凡是你可以想得到的 |
[19:31] | She’s even written a book. | 她甚至还写了本书 |
[19:33] | – According to her Web site. | – According to her Web site. – 根据她的网站 – 根据她的网站 |
[19:36] | Dueling psychics. | 灵媒的决斗 |
[19:38] | This just might be a first for the American justice system. | 这有可能成为美国司法系统的第一次 |
[19:41] | I don’t get it. | 我不明白 |
[19:43] | You aren’t concerned? | 你不关心吗? |
[19:44] | Don’t take this the wrong way, but for the most part, | 不要把这个错误的应用,在很大程度上 |
[19:46] | recent false alarms notwithstanding, I believe in you. | 尽管有最近的假警报,但我还是相信你 |
[19:51] | I believe you believe everything you tell me. | 我相信你,相信你告诉我的所有事情 |
[19:54] | And I’m astonished at how often you’re right. | 我也很惊异为什么你经常是对的 |
[19:58] | But I also believe that people like you are extraordinarily rare. | 但我也相信像你一样的人是很少见的 |
[20:01] | So, am I worried about some woman who advertises in the newspaper? | 所以,我是否担心一些在报纸上登广告的女人? |
[20:08] | I believe in the justice system. | 我相信司法系统 |
[20:10] | I believe in the power of truth, | 我相信事实的力量 |
[20:11] | and I believe in the wisdom and the fairness of juries. | 我相信陪审团的智慧和公平性 |
[20:15] | Randy Pilgrim has been a teammate of Damon Hodges for the last two years. | Randy Pilgrim是Damon Hodges至少两年的队友 |
[20:20] | In about 20 minutes, he’s going to testify | 在20分钟之前,他准备指证 |
[20:22] | that Hodges has a habit of putting GHB into women’s drinks. | Hodges有在女人的饮料中放GHB(约会强奸药)的习惯 |
[20:25] | Apparently, he’s even boasted about it in the locker room. | 显然,他在衣帽间中曾经自我夸耀过这件事 |
[20:28] | If my belief systems hold water, | 如果我的信心系统说的通 |
[20:30] | then Mr. Pilgrim’s going to help me establish a pattern of behavior with this jury | 那么Pilgrim先生会帮我建立起其行为的模型,让陪审团 |
[20:33] | that’s going to put Damon Hodges behind bars. | 把Damon Hodges关进监狱 |
[20:37] | Care to predict how it’s going to go? | 关心预知事情是如何发展的吗? |
[20:39] | One last question, Mr. Pilgrim. | 最后一个问题,Pilgrim先生 |
[20:41] | How do your teammates feel about you testifying today? | 你的队友是如何感觉你今天的证词的? |
[20:44] | Some of them weren’t very happy. | 他们中的有些人会很不高兴 |
[20:46] | But I don’t understand. | 但我不明白 |
[20:48] | If Damon Hodges is truly guilty of what’s being alleged here today | 如果Damon Hodges真的对于今天 这里的指控是有罪的话 |
[20:51] | wouldn’t they want to see him punished? | 难道他们不希望看到他被惩罚吗? |
[20:53] | Wouldn’t they want him put away where he could pose | 难道他们不想把他远离他可能会对 |
[20:55] | no harm to their wives, their sisters,their girlfriends? | 他们的妻子,姐妹,女朋友造成伤害的地方吗? |
[21:00] | Yeah, but… He helps us win games. | 是的,但…他帮我们赢了比赛 |
[21:05] | No more questions, Your Honor. | 没有其它的问题了,法官 |
[21:13] | So if I understand your testimony accurately, | 如果我正确地理解了你的证词 |
[21:16] | my client, Mr. Hodges, | 我的当事人,Hodges先生 |
[21:19] | has been boasting of drugging and taking advantage of women for months? | 曾经自吹对女人下药并几个月利用她们? |
[21:23] | Yes, sir,that’s what I said, sir. | 是的,先生,那就是我说的,先生 |
[21:25] | – How many months exactly? – Excuse me? | – 确切说是几个月? – 对不起? |
[21:28] | What I’m asking you is how many months have you allegedly known | 我问的是你根据所了解的是几个月 |
[21:31] | that my client drugs women for the purpose of having sex with them? | 我的当事人对女人下药为了和她们进行性关系? |
[21:35] | How many months was it that neither you nor anyone else on your team, | 到底过了几个月你们队伍中的人才觉得 |
[21:38] | for that matter,felt it necessary to call the authorities | 为了那件事情,有必要打电话给权威人士 |
[21:41] | or tell a coach or tell anyone? | 或告诉教练,或告诉其它人? |
[21:45] | Not until now. | 而不是直到现在 |
[21:46] | Objection. We’ve already established that Mr. Pilgrim did not come forward immediately… | 抗议.我们已经确定Pilgrim先生并没有立即来… |
[21:50] | that there was enormous peer pressure to remain silent. | 是因为有巨大的压力因此他保持沉默 |
[21:53] | – Sustained. – Move along, Mr. Watt. | – 抗议有效 – 继续你的问题,Watt先生 |
[21:58] | You know my client pretty well, don’t you? | 你非常了解我的当事人,是吗? |
[22:01] | You played ball on the same team for a couple of seasons. | 你和他在同一个队中打了好几个赛季的比赛 |
[22:06] | Would you describe him as a handsome man? | 你能不能把他形容为一个英俊的人? |
[22:11] | I don’t know. I guess. | 我不知道,我想是吧 |
[22:13] | Does he strike you as the type of man | 他有没有像那种会向女人 |
[22:16] | who would have to drug women to have sex with them? | 下毒来和她们有性关系的男人一样侵犯过你? |
[22:18] | Objection. Council is calling for an opinion from the witness | 抗议.对方律师正在问证人一个 |
[22:22] | that is completely irrelevant and immaterial and inappropriate. | 完全不相关并很不合适的问题 |
[22:25] | And for which the witness has no expertise. | 而且证人也没有专门的意见 |
[22:28] | Mr. Watt, if you don’t have any substantive questionsfor this witness, | Watt先生,如果你没有其它实质性的问题来问证人 |
[22:32] | I’m going to ask him to sit down. | 我会让他坐下去了 |
[22:34] | So what will it be, Mr. Watt? | 那么你想怎么做,Watt先生? |
[22:36] | Because right now you are trying this court’s patience. | 因为刚才你正在考验这个法庭的耐性 |
[22:40] | Have you any more substantive questions for this witness? | 你还有没有更多实质性的问题来问证人? |
[22:46] | Begging the court’s indulgence. | 我想请求法庭的允许 |
[22:47] | I’d like a minute to confer with my colleagues. | 我希望用一分钟来和我的同事交换一下意见 |
[23:04] | If it please the court, the defense would like to present a few more questions to Mr. Pilgrim. | 为了取悦法庭,辩护方愿意再问Pilgrim先生一些问题 |
[23:10] | All right, Mr. Watt, but mind your manners. | 好的,Watt先生,但请注意你的礼貌 |
[23:14] | Absolutely, Your Honor. | 绝对可以,法官 |
[23:18] | – Mr. Pilgrim… do you hate my client? – God, no. | – Pilgrim先生…你讨厌我的当事人吗? – 上帝,不 |
[23:24] | Come on…maybe just…just a little bit? | 来吧…或许只是…只是有一点? |
[23:28] | Objection. Leading the witness. | 抗议.他在引导证人 |
[23:29] | – Mr. Watt… – I’ll hurry it along,Your Honor. | – Watt先生… – 我很快就好了,法官 |
[23:35] | Ever been to a Klan meeting, Mr. Pilgrim? | 你有没有参加过三K党会议,Pilgrim先生? |
[23:42] | I’m sorry, was that a “yes” or a “no”? | 对不起,到底是”是”还是”不是”? |
[23:46] | You can’t use that against me. | 你不能用那个来对抗我 |
[23:47] | Isn’t it true that your Uncle Marshall, | 你的叔叔Marshall |
[23:49] | your father’s brother, sits on the council… | 你父亲的兄弟,是否是其中的一员… |
[23:52] | Objection. Of what relevance are the associations of the witness’s uncle…? | 抗议.这个和证人的叔叔有什么关系…? |
[23:56] | Overruled. | 抗议无效 |
[23:57] | – The witness will answer the question. – Which one? | – 证人需要回答问题 – 哪个? |
[24:00] | Have you ever been to a Klan meeting, Mr. Pilgrim? | 你有没有参加过三K党的会议,Pilgrim先生? |
[24:05] | Not because I wanted to go, no. | 不是因为我想去的,不是 |
[24:09] | Was that a “yes” or a “no”? | 到底是”是”还是”不是”? |
[24:14] | I’ve been to a Klan meeting, yes. | 我曾经去过三K党的会,是的 |
[24:16] | My… my uncle took me, I was a kid. | 我的…我的叔叔带我去的,我还是个孩子 |
[24:20] | I was, like, six. | 我只有,6岁 |
[24:21] | It was some kind of picnic or something. | 我以为是野餐或之类的事情 |
[24:23] | But it wasn’t like something I wanted to do. | 但它不是我想做的那种事情 |
[24:25] | Let the record show that the witness answered in the affirmative. | 请记录证人的回答是肯定的 |
[24:29] | This witness is excused. | 这个证人的话不可信 |
[24:49] | I don’t know what to tell you, boss. We’re giving it our best shot. | 我不知道怎么告诉你,老板 我们正在竭尽全力 |
[24:52] | Tomorrow at noon, I guess you’ll tell us. | 明天中午,我想你会告诉我们的 |
[24:55] | Right, that’s easy for you to say. | 是的,对你们来说实在太简单了 |
[24:58] | You think I don’t know that what I asked you to do is impossible? | 你以为我不知道我要你们做的是多么不可能吗? |
[25:01] | No, I know you know. | 不,我知道你知道 |
[25:03] | You’re the best engineer in this building. | 你是这幢楼里面最好的工程师 |
[25:05] | Best engineer I’ve ever met. | 我遇见过的最好的工程师 |
[25:08] | We just, we want to…we want to get this for you. | 我们只是,我们想…我们想从你这里得到 |
[25:10] | We want to, uh…well, we don’t want to let you down. | 我们想,呃…我们不想让你倒下 |
[25:14] | – I appreciate all the hard work. – Yeah, I appreciate the job. | – 我很感谢你们的努力工作 – 是的,我很感谢这份工作 |
[25:18] | Oh, hey, you know what I’ve been meaning to ask you? | 哦,嘿,你知道我是想问你什么吗? |
[25:21] | Um, this algorithmic microprocessor, what exactly is it being integrated into? | 恩,这个规则系统的微处理器,它到底是要 放到什么中去? |
[25:26] | I mean, I understand it’s a small part of a larger project, | 我是说,我明白这是一个大型方案的一小部分 |
[25:28] | but what exactly is the initial application? | 但最终产物到底是什么呢? |
[25:32] | – It’s a government project, Joe. – No, I know. | – 这是一项政府方案,Joe – 不,我知道 |
[25:34] | I heard you say that yesterday. But I mean specifically. | 我昨天听见你说了,但我是说具体是什么 |
[25:37] | Specifically? | 具体? |
[25:39] | Specifically for the first 18 months of its life | 具体是只要应用于头18个月 |
[25:41] | my guess is that it will live on the nose of a missile | 我猜想会放在导弹的前端 |
[25:44] | for our own use or for sale to our allies | 我们自己是用于出售给我们的盟友 |
[25:47] | and help guide it to its target so that innocent people won’t get hurt. | 帮助引导到其目标使得无辜的人们不会得到伤害 |
[25:50] | Shortly thereafter it will probably appear on home computers to facilitate | 之后,它可能会出现在家用电脑中,帮助 |
[25:54] | personal video conferencing. | 人们进行视频电话会议 |
[25:57] | A few years after that, my hunch is some clever fellow | 再过些年,我的预感是,有些聪明的人 |
[25:59] | will use the technology in a child’s game of some kind. | 会把这项技术应用于孩子们的某种游戏中 |
[26:02] | Hopefully, it’ll be a big hit at Christmas. | 希望是圣诞节的大礼物 |
[26:04] | Pay us a lot of royalties. That would be my hunch. | 就可以付给我们许多版税.那会是我的预感 |
[26:09] | Night, Joe. | 晚安,Joe |
[26:15] | And then Mr. Newberry told Hannah that she should spend less time | 然后Newberry先生告诉Hannah她应该 少花点时间 |
[26:18] | downloading music and more time studying… | 下载音乐而多花时间来学习… |
[26:20] | – Mom, I was still eating that. – Oh, I’m sorry. | – 妈妈,我还在吃呢 – 哦,对不起 |
[26:24] | Are you even listening to me? | 你在听我说话吗? |
[26:25] | – Honestly, I’m a little distracted. – I noticed. | – 老实说,我有些心烦意乱 – 我注意到了 |
[26:29] | There’s something I need to do tonight and I need Daddy to watch you girls. | 今天晚上我有些事情必须要做 我需要爸爸来照看你们 |
[26:32] | – What is it? – Oh, it’s this lecture. | – 是什么? – 哦,是这个讲演 |
[26:34] | This woman that I noticed in court, she wrote a book. | 这个我在法庭上注意到的女人,她写了本书 |
[26:36] | And she’s going to speak tonight downtown. | 她今晚会在市区进行讲演 |
[26:38] | – Sounds boring. – Thank you. | – 听起来很无聊 – 谢谢 |
[26:40] | Hey…! Where’s my picture? | 嘿…!我的画去哪里了? |
[26:43] | The picture I drew of Daddy’s bomb. | 我画了爸爸的炸弹的那幅 |
[26:45] | I was going to bring it in to school for show-and-tell. | 我正准备带到学校给大家看呢 |
[26:49] | Daddy doesn’t have a bomb, doofus. | 爸爸并没有炸弹,笨蛋 |
[26:51] | – Hey. – Not yet. | – 嘿 – 不是的 |
[26:53] | – Mom, tell her, please. – You know… | – 妈妈,告诉她,求你了 – 你知道… |
[26:55] | – Look, Daddy’s home. – Daddy! | – 瞧,爸爸回家了 – 爸爸! |
[26:59] | You’re going to wake your sister. | 你们会吵醒小妹妹的 |
[27:00] | – Daddy! – Sorry I’m late. | – 爸爸! – 抱歉我回来晚了 |
[27:03] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[27:05] | I stopped and had a talk with my boss, and… | 我和老板谈了一下,然后… |
[27:07] | Uh, Marie’s asleep.I need a favor. | 呃,Marie已经睡着了,我要你帮个忙 |
[27:10] | – Will it hold? – Uh, yeah, it’ll hold. | – 你能搞定吗? – 呃,是的,能搞定 |
[27:13] | Okay. | 好的 |
[27:18] | – Bye, guys. – Bye, Mom. | – 再见,伙计们 – 再见,妈妈 |
[27:19] | “When little Autumn Mowry”was 13, she broke her neck diving into a pool. | “当小Autumn Mowry”13岁的时候,她在跳入泳池 的时候划破了自己的脖子 |
[27:24] | “At her funeral, her mother and her younger sister cried so hard they had to be hospitalized. | “在她的葬礼上,她的妈妈和妹妹哭的那么伤心 不得不去了医院 |
[27:31] | “That… was in 1987. | “那是…1987年 |
[27:33] | “When Autumn appeared to me in the year 2000,”she was practically screaming. | “当Autumn2000年出现在我面前时” 她几乎一直在尖叫 |
[27:39] | “Her younger sister had been missing for three days. | “她的妹妹已经失踪3天了 |
[27:43] | “The police suspected that Autumn’s sister had been abducted by a janitor at her school — | “警察怀疑Autumn的妹妹被她学校的看门人绑架了– |
[27:48] | a man they realized was a registered sex offender who had lied about his identity. | 那个看门人是有性犯罪记录的罪犯,对他的身份撒了谎 |
[27:54] | But Autumn told me differently…” | 但Autumn告诉我不是…” |
[27:58] | What a load of crap. | 多么沉重的废话 |
[28:00] | “Her spirit led me to an intersection on the outskirts of Albuquerque…” | “她的精神把我带到爱伯克奇(美国新墨西哥州中部城市) 边界的一个十字路口…” |
[28:05] | You had a sudden bout of diarrhea, you lying whore. | 你只是突然有拉肚子的感觉而已,你这个撒谎的婊子 |
[28:08] | If you hadn’t been looking for a bathroom, | 如果你不是正在找洗手间 |
[28:09] | you’d have never been caught dead in that part of town. | 你永远不会被抓,死在那个镇上 |
[28:12] | Hey. Excuse me, could you keep it down over there? | 嘿,对不起,你能不能在那里安静一点? |
[28:15] | Shh! Shh! | 嘘!嘘! |
[28:15] | “And that’s when I saw them…”standing in the gas station convenience store. | “我看见他们的时候是那样的…” 站在加油站的自助食品店中 |
[28:20] | “He was holding her hand. She looked terrified. | “他正抓住她的手.她看起来很害怕的样子 |
[28:24] | I was buying her something for dinner, you lying whore. | 我正在给她买午饭,你这个撒谎的婊子 |
[28:26] | And she was smiling,by the way. | 顺便说一下,她正在笑 |
[28:29] | Right up until the point where that police car came roaring up | 直到警车呼啸而来 |
[28:31] | that you called and shot me three times in the head. | 然后你尖叫,并在我头上开了三枪 |
[28:35] | “How do I explain these extraordinary encounters with the dead?” | “我该如何解释和死者的这种奇怪的遭遇?” |
[28:38] | It’s called a coincidence. | 这叫作巧合 |
[28:40] | and you’ve been dining off it for years, you fake. | 然后你会回味很久,你个假货 |
[28:43] | Can’t wait ’til she gets down here to the hot zone where I live. | 真是不能等她在这里写下所有的到我所住的热带去 |
[28:47] | Man, are there a lot of pissed-off souls down here that want a piece of her. | 伙计,这里是不是有很多已经滚蛋的灵魂 下来想要她的一块肉 |
[28:51] | “It is truly a gift.” | “这真的是上帝赐予的礼物” |
[29:16] | Hey, where are you going with that? | 嘿,你要把它拿到哪里去? |
[29:19] | – That’s my work. – This is not your work. | – 那是我的工作 – 这不是你的工作 |
[29:24] | You’ve never spent one single moment of your life contemplating how to hurt someone else. | 你从没有花生命中的任何一小段时间 来想如何去伤害其它的人 |
[29:29] | You knew the whole time. Didn’t you, you witch? | 你一直都知道,是不是,你这个巫婆? |
[29:37] | I remember being seven,I remember drawing pictures… | 我记得7岁的时候,我劫得画了图画… |
[29:41] | seeing them come true…not understanding. | 看着他们成真…不明白 |
[29:45] | I’m not going to quit, Allison. | 我不会退出的,Allison |
[29:47] | I can’t quit. I got you, I got the kids. | 我不能退出.我有你,我有孩子们 |
[29:51] | I got a mortgage and a stack of bills I can’t pay already. | 我有抵押和一堆还没有付清的账单 |
[29:55] | I can’t quit. | 我不能退出 |
[29:57] | Maybe your company won’t get the contract. | 或许你的公司得不到这份合同 |
[29:59] | Maybe it’ll all be moot. | 或许他们还没有最终决定 |
[30:01] | No, we’re going to get it. | 不,我们正要得到它 |
[30:03] | I can feel it in my bones. We’re going to get it. | 我可以确信,我们会得到它的 |
[30:08] | – How was the lecture? – She was okay. | – 演讲怎么样? – 她不错 |
[30:13] | Very interesting crowd. | 非常有趣的人 |
[30:32] | Excuse me, can I help you? | 对不起,我能帮你吗? |
[30:40] | What are you up to? What are you doing? | 你是怎么了?你在做什么? |
[30:44] | You’re killing everyone here, you know that? | 你正在杀这里的每个人,你知道吗? |
[30:48] | Why would you do that? | 你为什么要那么做? |
[30:57] | Does it matter at all that the young man’s guilty, | 那个年轻人有罪到底要不要紧 |
[30:59] | that he killed this girl? | 他杀了这个女孩到底要不要紧? |
[31:01] | It matters. But it’s not the subject of this particular conversation. | 要紧.但不是这次谈话的主题 |
[31:08] | Look… I get in your face a lot and so does the Mayor. | 看…我给了你很多面子,市长也是 |
[31:12] | But we both like you. And we both want you to stick around. | 但我们都和你一样.我们都要你坚持住 |
[31:16] | He wants you on the ticket. But you can’t be there | 他在选票上需要你,但如果这个家伙在那个 |
[31:19] | if this guy’s going to make an ass out of you in that courtroom every day. | 法庭每天都对你制造一堆的问题,你不能一直那样 |
[31:26] | I know. Same blouse. Didn’t get homelast night. Campaign season. | 我知道.相同的衬衫.昨晚没有回家.竞选的季节 |
[31:32] | – Can I talk to you for a minute? – Ten after 1:00. | – 我能和你谈一会儿吗? – 1:10分后. |
[31:34] | You might have to walk with me. | 你或许可以和我一起走 |
[31:38] | I spent some time last night with Olga Z., Watts’ psychic. | 我昨晚花了一些时间在Olga Z身上,Watt的灵媒 |
[31:41] | – The woman is a fraud. – I don’t know, Allison. | – 这个女人是个骗子 – 我不知道,Allison |
[31:44] | Two days ago, I might have agreed with you. | 两天前,我或许会同意你 |
[31:45] | But she’s kicking the stuffing out of me in that court. | 但她在那个法庭上对我的资料都进行了反击 |
[31:47] | No, I don’t think so, not her. | 不,我不这么认为,不是她 |
[31:49] | Someone’s giving Watt information we don’t have, but I don’t think it’s her. | 有人给了Watt我们没有的信息,但我不认为是她 |
[31:52] | Well, then who? | 那会是谁? |
[31:54] | I’ve been having this nutty dream lately | 我最近一直在做这个疯狂的梦 |
[31:55] | which is the reason I pulled the fire alarm the other day. | 这也就是那天我去拉火灾警报的原因 |
[31:58] | It’s a massacre, here in the office. | 那是场屠杀,就在这个办公室 |
[32:00] | This shooter comes in, wipes everybody out. | 这个枪手进来,消灭了每个人 |
[32:03] | I was certain it was going to happen for real, | 我以为会真实地发生 |
[32:04] | but last night I realized,it was a metaphor. | 但昨天晚上我意识到,这只是一种隐喻 |
[32:08] | I’m sorry, I’m not following any of this. | 对不起,我没有听明白你说什么 |
[32:10] | This new assistant district attorney, Elliot? | 这个新的助理检察官,Elliot? |
[32:13] | He’s holding the gun. | 是他拿着枪 |
[32:15] | Are you saying he’s the one that’s feeding Watt information? | 你是说他是那个给了Watt信息的人? |
[32:18] | But he’s only privy to what we’re privy to — the information in the depositions. | 但他只是知道我们所知道的–对于证人的信息 |
[32:22] | In fact, he didn’t even depose some of these witnesses. | 事实上,有些证人他根本没有调查过 |
[32:25] | I can’t explain it yet. I don’t know how it works,but… | 我还不能解释.我不知道是怎么弄的,但… |
[32:28] | Okay. Here’s the walk with me part. | 好吧.你跟我一起走吧 |
[32:32] | Allison, I have to be honest with you, what you’re saying doesn’t… | Allison,我必须老实跟你说,你说的那些… |
[32:36] | make a whole lot of sense. | 并没有太大的意义 |
[32:38] | And unless you can fill in the blanks and do it quickly, | 除非你能很快填完那些空白的地方 |
[32:40] | I have no choice but to head over to Watt’s office and try to cut a deal. | 我没有其它选择,只能去Watt的办公室 找出个解决方案 |
[32:43] | – What? – I’m on my way there now. I’m boxed in. | – 什么? – 我现在正在案子中,但被困住了 |
[32:45] | Unless I can assure the Mayor that Larry Watt’s not gonna | 除非我可以向市长担保Larry Watt不会 |
[32:48] | catch me with my pants down again in court, I really have no option. | 再在法庭上揪我的短裤,我真的没有选择 |
[32:51] | You all right? | 你还好吧? |
[32:54] | What are you staring at, Allison? | 你在看什么,Allison? |
[32:55] | My metaphor, I hope. | 我的隐喻,我希望 |
[33:03] | – Larry Watt’s waiting for me. – No, don’t go yet. | – Larry Watt正在等我呢 – 不,不要去 |
[33:05] | – I have to go. – This woman matters. | – 我必须去 – 这个女人有问题 |
[33:08] | This woman is important. | 这个女人非常重要 |
[33:13] | We have to go speak with her. | 我们必须和她谈谈 |
[33:18] | Come in. | 进来 |
[33:20] | – Elliot. – Mr. District Attorney. | – 检察官先生 |
[33:23] | I’ve asked you to come in, Elliot, because even though | 我让你进来,Elliot,因为即使 |
[33:25] | you’ve worked here only a short time, | 你只有在这里工作了很短的时间 |
[33:26] | I’ve come to feel a certain connection with you, | 我觉得和你有一种特殊的关系 |
[33:29] | and I wanted to share something. | 我希望和你分享一些事情 |
[33:31] | Something that very few people other than Mrs. Dubois here know about me. | 一些除了这里的Dubois夫人知道其他人 都不知道的关于我的事情 |
[33:36] | Well, thank you, uh, I guess. | 谢谢,呃,我猜 |
[33:40] | I’m a psychic, Elliot. | 我是个灵媒,Elliot |
[33:44] | – Excuse me? – I’m a psychic. | – 对不起? – 我是个灵媒 |
[33:47] | I can pluck things from people’s minds. | 我能从人们的头脑中采集事情 |
[33:52] | For instance, even though you’ve never introduced us, | 比如,即使你从来没有跟我们介绍过 |
[33:54] | I know that your fiancee works in Student Services over at Mesa University | 但我知道你的未婚妻在Mesa大学 的学生服务中心工作 |
[33:59] | as a psychiatrist,I believe. | 是个精神病医师,我相信 |
[34:04] | – How am I doing? – May I sit down? | – 我说的对吗? – 我能坐下吗? |
[34:06] | No. | 不能 |
[34:08] | And I bet if I subpoenaed her records, | 我打赌如果我传呼她的记录 |
[34:10] | I’d find that she met with young Amanda Staley, | 我会发现她和年轻时的Amanda Staley见过面 |
[34:14] | helped her cope with her heartache after she realized that she fell in love with her roommate. | 在她发现自己爱上了她的室友时帮 她应付自己的心痛 |
[34:19] | – If could just sit… – I need you to stay right where you are. | – 我是否能坐下… – 我需要你揪站在你所站的地方 |
[34:26] | I’m also sensing that she met with Randy Pilgrim. | 我还感到她还见过RAndy Pilgrim |
[34:31] | Helped him deal with the guilt of growing up in a family filled with racists and worse. | 帮他解决在充满了种族歧视的家庭中 成长的罪恶感 |
[34:36] | Am I warm? | 我说的对吗? |
[34:38] | – I’m feeling a little faint,actually… – Stay where you are. | – 我感觉有些头昏,事实上… – 待在你站的地方 |
[34:42] | So Attorney Watt would come into the courtroom armed with all this information ahead of time. | 所以Watt律师可以在进入法庭的之前 提早获得这些信息 |
[34:46] | He’d put on a little act, pretend that the District Attorney was beating the pants off him, | 他玩了一点小小的把戏,假装检察官已经挫败了他 |
[34:51] | and then just in the nick of time, | 然后假装恰好 |
[34:53] | he’d get some new and explosive information from his psychic, | 他从他的灵媒那里获取了新的和爆炸性的信息 |
[34:57] | all to convince us that he was unbeatable. | 所有的都使我们确信他是无敌的 |
[35:01] | All to convince us that we’d better make a deal. | 所有的都使我们确信我们最好还是做个交易 |
[35:04] | How much you make a year working for the city, Elliot? | 你为这个城市工作一年能赚多少钱,Elliot? |
[35:06] | And what was Watt promising? | Watt向你保证了些什么? |
[35:07] | About three times that? | 关于这三次的举动? |
[35:11] | There are two options here, Elliot,and I want you to pick one. | 这里有两个选择,Elliot,我要你选择一个 |
[35:14] | I fire you right here and now, report you to the Arizona Bar. | 我现在马上解雇你,将你的事情汇报给亚利桑那州的律师席 |
[35:17] | They strip you of your license and you never work as a lawyer again ever, anywhere. | 他们会剥夺你的律师执照,而你永远也不可能 再干律师这一行,无论在什么地方 |
[35:23] | Or option two: | 或者第二个选择: |
[35:25] | you help me even the score a bit, | 你帮我扳回比分 |
[35:27] | I still fire you, write a horrible letter of recommendation for your file, | 我仍旧解雇你,帮你的档案写一封恐怖的推荐信 |
[35:30] | but with hard work in four or five years, | 但作为4年或5年的努力工作回馈 |
[35:32] | you might get with a decent firm and be able to actually earn a living. | 你或许可以进入一家大公司,并能活的很好 |
[35:36] | Don’t tell me. Don’t tell me ’cause I’m guessing | 不要告诉我.不要告诉我因为我猜 |
[35:41] | that you pick option number two. | 你会选第二个选项 |
[35:46] | Mr. James, in your deposition, you described yourself as the team manager. | James先生,在你的证词中,你说自己是队伍的经理 |
[35:50] | And isn’t it true that part of your responsibility | 那是不是真的,你的一部分职责 |
[35:53] | was to pick up Damon Hodges at 6:30 every morning, | 是在每天早上6点半去接Damon Hodges |
[35:55] | make sure he was there for practice? | 然后确定他在那里练习? |
[35:58] | Yes, sir. | 是的,先生 |
[35:59] | And isn’t it fair to say that you enjoyed that part of your job, | 那是不是可以说你很享受你的工作的那一部分 |
[36:01] | that you admired Mr. Hodges, | 你欣赏Hodges先生 |
[36:03] | found him glamorous, enjoyed being in his company? | 发现他非常迷人,很满意在他的队伍中上班? |
[36:07] | Yes, sir, I did. | 是的,先生 |
[36:08] | Now, in your deposition, you stated that you picked up Damon Hodges | 现在,在你的证词中,你说那天你去接Damon Hodges |
[36:12] | for practice on the morning in question at 6:30. | 早上去练习的时候是在6点半 |
[36:15] | And he confessed that he had a young woman over the night before | 他承认有个年轻女子在他家过了一夜 |
[36:18] | who apparently had left in the middle of the night. | 然后很显然在午夜之间她就离开了 |
[36:21] | You then go on to describe how Damon said | 接着你继续描述了Damon是如何说 |
[36:23] | he just needed to brush his teeth and headed into the bathroom, | 他只需要刷一下牙揪走进浴室的 |
[36:26] | that you then heard Damon hollering, screaming for you to call 911. | 然后你听到Damon的大叫,要求你打电话给911 |
[36:33] | Isn’t it true that when you were deposed by my office, | 当你在我的办公室作证的时候 |
[36:35] | we showed you these phone records indicating you received | 我们给你看了电话记录显示你在 |
[36:38] | a phone call at 4:30 in the morning? | 早上4点半的时候接到了一个电话,是否属实? |
[36:41] | A phone call that was made from a pay phone | 一个由投币式共用电话打来的 |
[36:43] | not three blocks from Damon Hodges’ townhouse? | 离Damon Hodges的住所不到三个街角的地方? |
[36:47] | A phone call that you repeatedly insisted | 一个你再三重申 |
[36:49] | was simply a wrong number and that woke you from a sound sleep? | 只是简单的拨错了号码而吵醒你的电话? |
[36:53] | That’s what I said. | 是我说的 |
[36:57] | Is that the truth? | 是真的吗? |
[37:04] | No, it is not. | 不,不是 |
[37:06] | – Objection. – Overruled. | – 抗议 – 抗议无效 |
[37:07] | You’ll have your opportunity to cross. | 你会有机会来驳回的 |
[37:09] | Proceed. | 请继续 |
[37:12] | The truth is it was Damon Hodges who called you at 4:30 that morning, isn’t it? | 事实是,是Damon Hodges在那天早上打电话给的你,是不是? |
[37:17] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[37:18] | And you went to his apartment at 4:45, not at 6:30. | 而你去他的寓所的时间是4:45,而不是6:30 |
[37:22] | – Yes. – Objection, Your Honor. | – 是的 – 抗议,法官 |
[37:24] | – Counsel’s leading the witness. – Overruled, Mr. Watt. | – 公诉人在引导证人 – 抗议无效,Watt先生 |
[37:27] | Now what really happened when you arrived there? | 那在你到达的时候到底发生了什么事情? |
[37:34] | I saw Amy Bannister. | 我看见Amy Bannister |
[37:36] | Damon told me that he brought her home to party, but she wasn’t into it. | Damon告诉我他把她从派对上带回家,但她不愿意 |
[37:40] | She wanted to leave. They had a fight,and he pushed her down, | 她想离开.他们打了一架,他把她推倒了 |
[37:43] | she hit her head on the shower door. | 她的头撞在了浴室的门上 |
[37:46] | He said it happened really fast. | 他说一切发生的实在太快了 |
[37:47] | He was scared and he wanted me to help him cover it up. | 他真的很害怕,并要求我帮他掩盖罪行 |
[37:53] | We poured vodka down her throat and then waited until 6:30 to call 911. | 我们在她的喉咙里面倒了伏特加酒 然后等到6:30的时候给911打了电话 |
[37:59] | And what did you do until 6:30? | 在到6:30的时候你们做了什么? |
[38:03] | We played cards.Damon wanted to play cards. | 我们在打牌.Damon想打牌 |
[38:11] | No further questions. | 没有其它的问题了 |
[38:14] | Mr. Watt, your witness. | Watt先生,轮到你询问证人 |
[38:22] | It’s pretty interesting, Mr. James. | 真的很有意思,James先生 |
[38:25] | You tell one story for months and months, | 你每个月都说一个故事 |
[38:26] | you tell it to the police, you tell it in depositions, | 你告诉警察的,你在证词中所说的 |
[38:30] | and then you get here in court and you change it. | 然后你到这里在这个法庭上,你又改变了 |
[38:34] | Why would you do a thing like that? | 你为什么要那么做? |
[38:36] | I felt bad. I couldn’t sleep. | 我感觉很糟糕,我不能睡觉 |
[38:41] | You couldn’t sleep because you felt badly about lying before, | 你睡不着是因为你觉得之前撒谎很糟糕 |
[38:44] | or you couldn’t sleep because you felt badly about having to lie today? | 还是你睡不着因为你觉得今天撒谎很糟糕? |
[38:48] | – Objection, Your Honor. – Sustained. | – 抗议,法官 – 抗议有效 |
[38:49] | Mr. Watt,if you’re going to attack this witness’s testimony, | Watt先生,如果你要攻击这个证人的证词 |
[38:52] | I need you to do it based on matters of record, | 我要你基于事实记录的基础上 |
[38:54] | not by restating the obvious. | 而不是重复明显的证据 |
[38:56] | I apologize, Your Honor. | 我很抱歉,法官 |
[39:00] | Mr. Watt,are you going to proceed or shall we dismiss the witness? | Watt先生,你准备继续还是我们让这个证人离开? |
[39:07] | Mr. Watt,I need to know if you’ve concluded your cross. | Watt先生,我需要知道你是否决定结束你的询问 |
[39:19] | Mr. Watt? | Watt先生? |
[39:22] | Your Honor, actually, I have several more questions for this witness. | 法官阁下,事实守丧,我对这个证人还有一些问题 |
[39:26] | – We are all ears, Mr. Watt. – Thank you, Your Honor. | – 我们都在听着,Watt先生 – 谢谢,法官阁下 |
[39:33] | So you couldn’t sleep and that’s why you changed your story today? | 因为你睡不着,所以你今天改变了你的故事? |
[39:37] | Yes, sir. I couldn’t sleep. | 是的,我睡不着 |
[39:39] | I couldn’t study. I couldn’t do much of anything. | 我不能学习,我不能做任何事情 |
[39:42] | And you’re sure this doesn’t have anything to do with you father, Mr. James? | 你确定和你的父亲没有任何关系吗?James先生? |
[39:47] | How do you mean? | 你是什么意思? |
[39:49] | Well, isn’t it true that your father is staring at multiple felony charges | 你的父亲是否被这个检察官 |
[39:52] | filed by this district attorney? | 以多重罪进行控诉? |
[39:53] | Objection: irrelevant. | 抗议:完全不相干 |
[39:54] | – Whoever this young man’s father is… – Overruled. | – 不管这个人的父亲是谁… – 抗议无效 |
[39:57] | For theft, for forgery, for credit card fraud, | 因为行窃,伪造,信用欺诈 |
[40:01] | for the sale of narcotics to a minor? | 卖毒品给未成年人? |
[40:03] | Objection. | 抗议 |
[40:04] | Overruled, Counsel. | 抗议无效,公诉人 |
[40:05] | Get to the question, Counsel. | 继续问题,辩护律师 |
[40:07] | And isn’t it true that the sudden change in your story today | 你在今天突然改变你故事的原因 |
[40:10] | has more to do with the District Attorney promising to go easy on good ol’ dad? | 是否和检察官先生许诺会轻判你的父亲有关,是否属实? |
[40:15] | – I must object! – Overruled. | – 我必须抗议! – 抗议无效 |
[40:19] | Remember, Mr. James, you are under oath. | 记得吗,James先生,你宣誓过了 |
[40:22] | You are in a court of law and I am asking you a direct question. | 你正在这个法庭上,我正在直接问题你问题 |
[40:27] | Isn’t it true that the reason for changing your story today | 你在今天改变故事的原因 |
[40:30] | has nothing to do with my client nothing to do with the truth, | 是否和我当事人无关,是否和事实无关 |
[40:34] | nothing to do with justice, but has everything to do | 和公正无关,只是和 |
[40:39] | with your degenerate father and some understanding | 你罪恶的父亲和一些 |
[40:42] | between you and the District Attorney here? | 你和这里的检察官达成的某些协议有关,是不是? |
[40:46] | – That is not true, sir. – Oh, really? | – 不是的,先生 – 哦,真的吗? |
[40:47] | Are you denying that as we speak, your father sits in a cell in Prescott, | 你是否在拒绝我们的问题,你的父亲 正在普雷斯科特的一家监狱中 |
[40:53] | awaiting extradition to Phoenix? | 等待引渡回菲尼克斯城? |
[40:55] | Sir, my father’s an appellate court judge in the Sixth District of the state of Missouri. | 先生,我的父亲是一个受理上诉的法官 在密苏里州的第六管区 |
[41:01] | Although, currently he’s on temporary leave to work on a U.N. commission investigating aid to Africa. | 虽然,目前他暂时离开工作是因为联合国 委任他去研究帮助非洲 |
[41:07] | In fact, the two of you went to the same law school. | 事实上,你们两个上的是同一所法律学校 |
[41:10] | He was a year behind you — Bennett James? | 他比你晚一年–Bennett James? |
[41:15] | He said to say hello. | 他说了要向你问好 |
[41:20] | Oh. | 哦 |
[41:27] | Mr. Watt, is there any follow-up? | Watt先生,还有什么要问的吗? |
[41:29] | Was there any basis to this line of questioning? | 还有什么基于这个质问的问题了吗? |
[41:32] | You just attacked this witness ruthlessly,and I — | 你刚才非常残酷地攻击了这名证人,而我 |
[41:35] | and I’m sure I’m speakingfor these 12 jurors as well, | 我肯定我会和这12个陪审团成员一样 |
[41:37] | would like to know why. | 想知道为什么 |
[41:41] | Begging Your,Your Honor’s pardon. | 请原谅我,法官阁下 |
[41:43] | Before proceeding, defense would like to take a moment to confer with the prosecution. | 在继续之前,辩护方想花些时间和控诉方交换一下意见 |
[41:48] | This is highly irregular. | 这是非常不合理的 |
[41:50] | Keep it brief. | 请越快越好 |
[41:58] | Hey, Manny, I got to believe there’s some kind of a deal to be made here. | 嘿,Manny,我相信这里一定有什么问题 |
[42:02] | You know, one that’s good for everyone. | 你知道的,只有一样对我们大家都好 |
[42:05] | What do you say? | 你说什么? |
[42:07] | Me? I say manslaughter, minimum of 15 years. | 我说?我说就是一般杀人罪,最少是关15年 |
[42:12] | Don’t look so shocked. You, of all people, had to see this coming. | 不要看起来那么震惊,你,在所有人中 应该是会预见到的 |