时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | Bankruptcy! | 破产 |
[00:37] | Don’y worry kids, Everything will be okey. And I should know. I’m psychic! | 孩子别担心 一切都会好起来的 我应该知道的! 我有毛病! |
[00:43] | Knock, knock. | 敲门声响起 |
[00:57] | It’s District Attorney Van Dyke! | 是检察官Van Dyke! |
[01:07] | Your mortgage is due! Pay it now or vacate the premises! | 你的抵押已经到期了 换不了钱就把房子让出来! |
[01:26] | Help has arrived. It’s Attorney Larry Watt! | 救星来了 是律师Larry Watt! |
[01:42] | My hero! | 我的英雄 |
[02:50] | Do you know it’s not even 6:00? | 你知道现在还不到6点吧? |
[02:52] | Sorry. I couldn’t sleep. | 对不起 我睡不着 |
[02:53] | This whole meeting at the bank | 在银行开那个关于房贷的会 |
[02:55] | about the home equity loan has got me all wound up. | 让我们抓狂了 |
[02:57] | I just wanted to make sure I had everything in order. | 我只是想确保一切都在正轨上 |
[03:00] | Yeah. It’s got me a little crazy, too. | 我也很抓狂 |
[03:02] | I just had a dream about Larry Watt saving our home from an evil banker. | 我刚梦见Larry Watt从邪恶的银行家手中 拯救了我们的家园 |
[03:07] | Larry Watt? | |
[03:09] | The callous and unprincipled defense attorney? | 那个冷血 道德沦丧的辩护律师? |
[03:12] | I thought you hated Larry Watt. | 我以为你讨厌Larry Watt |
[03:14] | Well, I don’t hate him. Not him. | 不是讨厌啦 不针对他本人 |
[03:16] | Just everything that he stands for. | 只是不喜欢他代理的案件 |
[03:19] | Ask me who the evil banker was. | 问问那个邪恶银行家是谁嘛 |
[03:25] | District Attorney Van Dyke. | 检察官Van Dyke |
[03:26] | Wow. That really was a nightmare. | 天 那真是噩梦啊 |
[03:28] | So, if Larry Watt was the hero, and Van Dyke was the villain, | Larry Watt是英雄 Van Dyke是恶棍 |
[03:31] | what role did I play? | 那我扮演什么角色呢? |
[03:32] | Well, you were strangely absent. | 很奇怪 你不在耶 |
[03:36] | Hmm. | 嗯 |
[03:37] | I guess that’s what I get for leaving you in bed by yourself. | 大概是因为我把你独自留在床上吧 |
[03:40] | You got an e-mail. | 你有封邮件 |
[03:41] | Oh. Great. | 噢 妙极了 |
[03:43] | Whoever it is, whatever they’re selling– | 无论是谁 无论他们推销什么 |
[03:45] | we can’t afford it. | 我们都负担不起 |
[03:49] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[03:50] | It’s Devalos. He’s back. | 是Devalos 他回来了 |
[03:52] | He’s going to open his own practice. | 他要自己开业 |
[03:55] | He thinks he might have some work for me. | 他向我提供工作机会 |
[03:58] | You look nice. | 你看起来不错 |
[04:00] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[04:02] | Job interview? | 面试? |
[04:03] | No. A thing at the bank. | 不 银行的一点事情 |
[04:06] | Just trying to borrow some money against the house. | 想抵押房子借点钱 |
[04:10] | Just till we can figure out what’s next. | 直到我们把麻烦都解决掉 |
[04:16] | I don’t know if you’ve noticed, | 你有注意到嘛 |
[04:18] | but I haven’t really asked you or Mom for my allowance in a while. | 我好久没问你和妈妈要零花钱了 |
[04:21] | No. We appreciate that, and I know… | 我们都很欣慰 我也知道… |
[04:23] | I know you’ve been using your- | 我知道你用做保姆赚的钱 |
[04:24] | your baby-sitting money for school lunch. | 来吃午饭 |
[04:26] | And it’s fine. | 没事啦 |
[04:26] | Sweetie, just as soon as we… | 宝贝 只要我们… |
[04:28] | No. I know. | 没关系 我明白的 |
[04:29] | It’s just that… | 只是… |
[04:31] | there’s this store at the mall. | 商场里有间店 |
[04:33] | It’s a makeup store, | 是卖化妆品的 |
[04:34] | and a bunch of us were going to go over after school today. | 我们下课的时候去那里逛 |
[04:38] | And then I realized that I don’t have money for the bus or to buy anything. | 然后发现我连坐车的钱都没有 更不用说买东西了 |
[04:41] | And I was just wondering… | 我只是在想… |
[04:43] | How much money are we talking about? | 你需要多少钱呢? |
[04:45] | Well, they have these cases with brushes and makeup and everything, | 他们卖一种百宝箱 里面应有尽有 化妆刷和化妆品都齐全 |
[04:48] | and it would be about $30. | 卖30块钱 |
[04:51] | You need money today? | 你今天就要那些钱了? |
[04:53] | Now? | 现在? |
[04:55] | Ariel, I… | Ariel 我… |
[04:57] | Sweetie, if I had $30 to give you… | 宝贝 如果我能�o你30块… |
[05:00] | How much is the bus? | 坐车要多少钱? |
[05:01] | It’s-It’s two dollars each way? | 来回4块钱吧? |
[05:03] | Never mind, Dad. | 没关系啦 爸爸 |
[05:03] | No, sweetie. Hold on. | 不 宝贝 等一下 |
[05:04] | Dad, it’s okay. Wait, wait, wait, wait. | -没关系啦 爸爸 -等等 |
[05:05] | Here’s four dollars. | Here’s four dollars. 这是4块钱 这是4块钱 |
[05:07] | Ariel. Ariel, honey! | Ariel Ariel 宝贝 |
[05:09] | I’ll see you tonight. | 今晚见 |
[05:18] | No, no, no, no. | 不 不 不 不 |
[05:20] | This won’t do. | 这样行不通 |
[05:21] | What won’t do? | 什么行不通 |
[05:23] | We have a problem. | 我们有点小麻烦 |
[05:23] | You’re better dressed than I am. | 你穿得比我正式 |
[05:25] | If you don’t open that door, I’m going to kick it down. | 如果你不开门 我就踢门了 |
[05:28] | You’ve been warned. | 我警告你 |
[05:30] | Hey, stranger. | 嗨 伙计 |
[05:33] | There is nothing more I would love in this world | 在这世上没有比你回来工作 |
[05:35] | than to have you come work for me, | 更让我开心的事了 |
[05:37] | but at the moment, | 但现在 |
[05:38] | I don’t have any clients, much less any work. | 我没有客户 连鸡毛蒜皮的案子都没有 |
[05:42] | No. What I meant in my e-mail was, a, um… | 我邮件里说的是… |
[05:45] | …colleague of mine | 我的同行 |
[05:48] | was asking about you. | 问起你了 |
[05:49] | Wanted to know if I would make an introduction for him. | 希望我�o他引见一下你 |
[05:52] | A defense attorney? | 辩护律师? |
[05:53] | I’ve never worked for a defense attorney. | 之前从来没为辩护律师工作过 |
[05:55] | Interesting case. | 很有意思的案子 |
[05:56] | Man’s accused of killing his wife. | 一个男人被控告杀妻的罪名 |
[05:58] | Well, what do you think? Do you think he did it? | 你有什么看法? 觉得他有没有做过? |
[06:00] | I have no idea. | 没有头绪 |
[06:02] | Does it matter? | 那有什么关系呢? |
[06:03] | It pays American money. | 是能赚钱的活啊 |
[06:06] | The guy at the bank didn’t seem to think there’d be a problem. | 银行的人觉得这不是什么大问题 |
[06:08] | It’s just a question of pushing the paperwork through. | 只是文字工作而已啦 |
[06:10] | He thought we’d have a check in a week, week and a half. | 他觉得我们会在一周或一周半内付支票 |
[06:12] | Well, this must be our lucky day, | 今天一定是我们的幸运日 |
[06:14] | ’cause this meeting, or this job interview– | 这次会面或者该说是面试 |
[06:16] | which is I guess what it is– | 我原本以为 |
[06:19] | shouldn’t take me more than a couple of hours. | 花几个小时就可以了 |
[06:20] | I should be done by 9:00. | 9点就可以结束 |
[06:23] | Wish me luck. | 祝我好运吧 |
[06:23] | Luck. | 祝你好运 |
[06:25] | Girls? | 孩子们? |
[06:27] | Come on! | 快来啊! |
[06:29] | Dinner’s on the table. | 晚餐都在桌子上了 |
[06:31] | Don’t give your daddy a hard time. | 别让你们爸爸难办嘛 |
[06:33] | Oh, make sure that Marie uses her napkin. | 记得监督Marie用餐巾纸 |
[06:37] | Don’t be afraid to ask Ariel for help. | 别不好意思 让Ariel帮你 |
[06:43] | Ariel? | |
[06:54] | Dad, don’t you knock? | 爸爸 你怎么不敲门啊? |
[06:55] | I did knock. | 我敲了啊 |
[06:56] | Yeah, well, you’re supposed to wait until I say come in. | 你应该听到我说可以才进来啊 |
[06:59] | I would have, | 我可以那样 |
[06:59] | but then there’s this whole issue of life expectancy to deal with. | 但还有很多烦心事要处理呢 |
[07:02] | Besides, dinner’s on the table. | 而且晚餐都放到餐桌上了 |
[07:03] | Your mom went off to a meeting. | 妈妈会去会面 |
[07:04] | I could use your help with Marie. | 你得帮我照顾一下 Marie |
[07:06] | What’s this? | 这是什么? |
[07:08] | Uh, I told you, we were going to the mall. | 我说过我们去商场逛街 |
[07:10] | We went to that store, | 去了那家店 |
[07:11] | and I bought that case I was telling you about. | 就买了和你提到过的百宝箱 |
[07:14] | Do you mind if I ask, uh, how did you do that? | 我可以问问吗? 你哪来的钱? |
[07:16] | What do you mean? | 你说什么啊? |
[07:18] | I just bought it. | 我只是买了而已 |
[07:20] | Don’t worry. I used my own money. | 别担心 我是用自己的钱 |
[07:23] | Uh, but this morning, you made it sound like you didn’t have any money. | 但今天早上你把自己说得那么窘迫 |
[07:25] | Yeah. Well… | 是啦 |
[07:27] | turns out I did. | 后来才发现我还有余钱 |
[07:30] | Who wants dinner? | 去吃饭吧 |
[07:49] | Hello! | 你好! |
[07:52] | Hello? | 你好! |
[07:57] | Hello! | 你好! |
[08:03] | Hello? | 你好? |
[08:07] | Is anybody here? | 有人在吗? |
[08:09] | In here. | 这边 |
[08:14] | Larry Watt for the defense. | 辩护律师Larry Watt |
[08:16] | It’s okay, Mrs. Dubois. | 别紧张 Dubois太太 |
[08:19] | I’m not going to bite. | 我不会咬人的 |
[08:21] | It’s been a long time. | 好久不见了 |
[08:22] | I recognized your pitchfork. | |
[08:25] | Okay, I’m confused. | 我不懂了 |
[08:27] | Was it you who wanted to see me? | 不是你想见我吗? |
[08:28] | These aren’t your offices. | 这不是你的办公室 |
[08:30] | Yeah, well, don’t be angry with Manuel. | 好啦 别生Manuel的气 |
[08:32] | If I had asked you to come to my offices, | 如果我请你加盟 |
[08:34] | would you have taken the meeting? | 你会和我一起去那个会面吗? |
[08:37] | Yeah. | 是这样的 |
[08:38] | No. My client, John Edgemont, uses this firm for his corporate and civil matters. | 我的客户John Edgemont聘用我 处理他公司的法律事务和刑事事件 |
[08:43] | Oh, I see. | 我明白了 |
[08:44] | But whenever he’s accused of killing his wife, he hires you. | 每次他杀老婆的时候都请你辩护 |
[08:49] | Allison, I know you’re in a tight spot. | Allison 我知道你现在经济状况不好 |
[08:51] | And I also know, more than most, | 我也知道不仅是那样 |
[08:52] | just how effective you can be in a trial situation. | 你在审讯的时候会很有帮助 |
[08:56] | I’m prepared to offer you a lot of money to assist me. | 我会付一笔钱作为协助我的报酬 |
[08:59] | Assist you with what? | 协助你做什么? |
[09:00] | My client’s on trial for murder. | 我的客户要出席谋杀聆讯 |
[09:02] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:04] | Did he do it? | 他有做过吗? |
[09:05] | I don’t believe he did, no. | 我不相信是他干的 |
[09:07] | How can you be so sure? | 你怎么会那么肯定? |
[09:09] | Because you’ll meet him, and you’ll tell me, | 你见过他之后就会明白了 |
[09:12] | or maybe you won’t. | 或者见了也不明白 |
[09:13] | Maybe you’ll be just like the rest of us | 也许你会像我们一样 |
[09:14] | and help mount a great defense | 接一大堆辩护案件 |
[09:16] | because you’re being paid to do it. | 只是为了丰厚的报酬 |
[09:25] | Think it over, | 好好想想 |
[09:27] | but think quickly. | 不过要快 |
[09:29] | Bank opens at 8:00. | 银行8点就开门了 |
[09:30] | Jury selection begins at 9:00. | 9点开始挑选陪审员的程序 |
[09:37] | You know, he was kind of nice in an oily, Larry Watt kind of way. | 他总是油腔滑调表现得很亲切 典型的Larry Watt风格 |
[09:42] | Ah, that’s the sound of the money talking. | 我嗅到钱的味道了 |
[09:44] | What, you don’t like the sound of the money talking? | 难道你不喜欢钱吗? |
[09:47] | I love the sound of the money talking. | 我喜欢钱 |
[09:50] | I just hope that you’re going to be okay with everything you have to do to earn it. | 只是希望你赚钱的方式 不会令自己良心不安 |
[09:56] | How much money do you think Ariel makes baby-sitting? | 你觉得Ariel做保姆能赚到多少钱? |
[10:00] | I don’t know. Why? | 不知道啊 干嘛问这个? |
[10:02] | Well, she went to the mall today and spent, like, $30 at this makeup store. | 他今天在化妆品店里花了30块钱 |
[10:06] | And when I asked her about it, | 我问她的时候 |
[10:07] | she insisted that she did it with her own money. | 她说是自己的钱 |
[10:10] | Okay. | 嗯 |
[10:11] | If that’s what she told you, what’s the problem? | 她都那样说了 还有什么问题呢? |
[10:13] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[10:14] | There probably is no problem. | 也许没什么事 |
[10:16] | I mean I know this whole intuition thing is more your neck of the woods than mine, | 论直觉你比我在行多了 |
[10:22] | but I just got this feeling. | 我只是有这种感觉 |
[10:35] | Dad, can you pull over and let me off here? | 爸爸 靠边停一下让我出去 |
[10:39] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呢? |
[10:40] | The school’s a block away. | 离学校还有一个街区 |
[10:41] | I-I want to walk. Please. | 我想走走嘛 拜托啦 |
[10:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[10:51] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[11:10] | Can I help you? | 有什么可以帮你呢? |
[11:11] | My name’s Allison Dubois. | 我是Allison Dubois |
[11:13] | Larry Watt is expecting me. | Larry Watt和我约好了 |
[11:14] | One moment. | 稍等一下 |
[11:25] | Mrs. Dubois? | Dubois太太? |
[11:26] | Attorney Watt wanted me to ask you to please meet him in the Conference Room. | Watt律师请你直接去会议室见他 |
[11:30] | John, I’m just trying to help you. | John 我只是想帮你 |
[11:32] | No. | 不 |
[11:33] | You’re trying to stage manage an event that does not need to be stage managed. | 你在背后搞这么多事情 但根本没必要 |
[11:36] | I did not kill my wife… | 我没杀妻子 |
[11:38] | therefore these courtroom theatrics are unnecessary. | 这套审讯窍门对我不适用 |
[11:42] | Uh, they, they just told me to come straight in here. | 打扰了 他们叫我直接进来 |
[11:45] | If this is a bad time… | 是不是不太合适… |
[11:46] | No, no, no, no, no. | 不 不 不 不 不 |
[11:47] | This, this is a perfect time. | 来的正好 |
[11:51] | Allison Dubois, John Edgemont. | |
[11:53] | John, this is the woman I told you about. | 这就是我和你说的那个女人 |
[11:55] | Used to work for the District Attorney. | 曾经为检察官工作 |
[11:57] | Yes. I’m very aware of who Mrs. Dubois is. | 嗯 我知道Dubois太太是谁 |
[11:59] | I think she’s going to prove to be very useful to us, | 她会向我们证明自己的用处 |
[12:02] | particularly this morning with jury selection. | 特别是今天的挑选陪审员 |
[12:04] | Nice to meet you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[12:08] | You shook his hand. | 和他握手啊 |
[12:10] | Tell me what you feel. Tell me what you see. | 告诉我你感觉到什么 看到了什么 |
[12:14] | Nothing. | 什么都没有 |
[12:14] | I don’t see anything. I don’t feel anything. | 什么都没看到 什么都没感觉到 |
[12:17] | Precisely! | 正好! |
[12:18] | Wait! Wait. I’m confused. | 等等! 我不明白… |
[12:20] | What’s going on? | 这是怎么回事? |
[12:21] | Apparently Mr. Watt must think that by shaking your hand | 看来Watt以为我和你握手才知道你想什么 |
[12:24] | I’m able to tell whether you’re… | 我分辨得出你是不是… |
[12:25] | If I’m a man who could kill his wife? | 是不是一个冷血杀妻者? |
[12:29] | So? What’s the verdict? | 怎样? 你的结论呢? |
[12:31] | There is no verdict. | 没有结论 |
[12:33] | Doesn’t work that way ever. | 以前没试过那样 |
[12:34] | At least it didn’t today. | 至少不是今天 |
[12:36] | So you have no opinion about me? | 你对我没有看法? |
[12:39] | You seem like a nice man. | 你看上去像个好人 |
[12:41] | I have trouble imagining you hurting anyone. | 我想象不出你会伤害人 |
[12:46] | I appreciate that. | 感激你那样说 |
[12:49] | Mind if I ask your opinion about something? | 介意我问问您的意见吗? |
[12:51] | No, of course not. | 当然不介意 |
[12:53] | My, uh… | 我的… |
[12:54] | my daughters, Myra and Chloe, | 我女儿Myra和Chloe |
[12:57] | they’re sitting in the, in the waiting area… | 她们坐在外面的等待区里 |
[13:00] | I think I passed them on the way in. | 我进来的时候好像经过她们身边 |
[13:03] | My attorney | 辩护律师认为 |
[13:05] | believes that it would be helpful | 如果她们都在审判室里 |
[13:06] | if they were both present in the courtroom during jury selection. | 出席挑选陪审员的过程 对我会很有帮助 |
[13:09] | Do you? | 你觉得呢? |
[13:10] | Don’t be naive, John. | 别那么天真了 John |
[13:12] | We’re picking jurors. | 我们在挑选陪审团 |
[13:13] | These are the people who are going to decide your fate. | 他们将会决定你的命运 |
[13:16] | We need to paint a picture for them of who you are. | 我们得向他们展示你是怎样的人 |
[13:20] | Me, personally? | 就我个人来说 |
[13:21] | I already like you better when I see that you have children. | 看到你有孩子 我对你的观感已经变好一点了 |
[13:24] | That the children are in your life. | 你的生活里有孩子 |
[13:26] | That they’re in the courtroom sitting there with you. | 她们在审判室陪你 |
[13:28] | Look, it goes without saying, | 简直无需言喻 |
[13:29] | the District Attorney is going to do whatever it takes to win that jury over. | 检察官会竭尽所能赢回陪审团的心 |
[13:33] | But I could certainly understand as a parent | 作为一个母亲 |
[13:35] | why you wouldn’t want your children to hear the things | 我完全明白你为什么不希望女儿在场 |
[13:37] | that are going to be said in that courtroom. | 不想让她们听到审讯过程 |
[13:39] | I’m not worried about my oldest. | 我不担心长女 |
[13:42] | Myra’s 18. | Myra已经18岁了 |
[13:44] | I just… | 我只是… |
[13:47] | Chloe is a few years younger, | Chloe还那么小 |
[13:50] | and frankly… | 坦白说 |
[13:51] | she’s what people politely call “mentally challenged.” | 她是人们说的那种智障 |
[13:56] | Now, I’m, I’m, | 我现在… |
[13:57] | I’m not even sure hat she’ll understand what’s going on. | 她可能根本不懂发生了什么事 |
[14:01] | And I’m afraid | 我很担心 |
[14:02] | in the courtroom, with the judge, and the lawyers, | 审讯室里的法官律师 |
[14:05] | and all the loud talking… | 还有大声的对话 |
[14:07] | that, that she could become frightened. | 可能会吓到她的 |
[14:09] | She, she can be very excitable. | 她会变得情绪激动 |
[14:12] | We’re fighting for your life here, John. | 我们在努力挽救你的性命 John |
[14:14] | It is my job to encourage you to use every weapon at your disposal. | 我的职责是鼓动你利用一切可能的武器 |
[14:18] | Yeah, well… | 但是… |
[14:21] | my children aren’t weapons. | 我的孩子不是武器啊 |
[14:25] | I think I’m going to ask Myra to take Chloe home. | 我还是让Myra把Chloe带回家吧 |
[14:30] | Now. | 现在就走 |
[14:32] | I’ll be right back. | 我很快回来 |
[14:38] | I was scared to death | 我怕得要死 |
[14:39] | that I was going to meet him and something was going to scream out “Murderer!” | 以为见他的时候 鬼魂会在我耳边大叫杀人凶手 |
[14:43] | But it was the complete opposite. | 但事实完全相反 |
[14:48] | What is so amusing? | 有什么好笑的? |
[14:49] | Nothing. I just think it’s funny hat you not only want to get paid, | 你不但接了有报酬的工作 |
[14:52] | but you want to be on the side of right as well. | 还希望不违背法律精神 |
[14:54] | Oh, doesn’t everybody? | 难道其他人不是吗? |
[14:56] | Well, honestly not everyone has that luxury. | 老实说 不是每个人都有这个运气的 |
[14:58] | Well, right now I do. | 好吧 我现在有了 |
[15:00] | So please, stop raining on my parade. | 请不要再唠叨我啦 |
[15:03] | Yes, ma’am. | 是 孩子他妈 |
[15:05] | All rain will hereby promptly cease and desist. | 一切雨过天晴了 |
[15:10] | It better. Uh-huh. | 最好那样 嗯哼 |
[15:12] | Are you laughing? Uh-uh. | 你在笑我? 嗯哼 |
[16:29] | I’m just saying let’s keep things in perspective, that’s all. | 我只是说先静观事态发展 |
[16:32] | By “keeping it in perspective,” | 你说静观其变 |
[16:33] | you really mean “don’t bite the hand that’s paying our bills”, don’t you? | 你的意思是不要得罪衣食父母对吧? |
[16:36] | What do you want me to say? | 你想我怎么说了 |
[16:38] | As little as possible. | 最好别说 |
[16:41] | Look, when I worked at Aerodytech, | 我在Aerodytech工作的时候 |
[16:42] | I did a lot of things that I didn’t want to do, | 做了很多自己不愿意做的事 |
[16:44] | but that was the job and they were paying me a salary to get it done. | 但那是工作 公司付薪水就是让我们把工作做好 |
[16:48] | I did those things because I needed the money. | 我那样做因为我需要钱 |
[16:50] | Because we needed the money. | 因为我们需要钱 |
[16:51] | He is a murderer! | 他是个凶手! |
[16:52] | He murdered his wife in cold blood. | 他冷血无情地谋杀了自己的妻子 |
[16:54] | You think. I know. | 你那样认为而已 我确实知道啊 |
[16:56] | Well, I don’t know what to tell you. | 好吧 我不知道和你说什么好了 |
[16:57] | ‘Cause last night you “knew” that he was innocent. | 因为昨晚你预见到他是清白的 |
[16:59] | No, but you’re right, you’re right. All right, let’s… | 不 你说得对 说得没错 让我们… |
[17:01] | you know, we’ll give Larry Watt back his money. | 我们把钱还给Larry Watt吧 |
[17:03] | We’ll live differently. | 我们的生活会大不一样 |
[17:04] | We’ll sell the house, we’ll move to a commune. | 得卖掉房子 搬去公屋 |
[17:06] | Eat only what we grow. | 吃自己种的东西 |
[17:07] | We’ll homeschool the kids. I didn’t say ??? | 在家给孩子教学 我没说会退出 |
[17:09] | I didn’t say I was giving the money back. | 我没说要把钱还回去啊 |
[17:11] | I just said… | 我只是说… |
[17:12] | that this changes it for me. | 我的感觉不一样了 |
[17:15] | Yesterday it felt good. | 昨天感觉良好 |
[17:17] | But I guess feeling good is not a perk I get this time. | 我想这次没那个运气 不可能开戏了 |
[17:26] | I’m going to drive the kids to school. | 我要送孩子们上学 |
[17:33] | I’ll see you this afternoon. | 下午见 |
[17:34] | See you this afternoon. | 下午见 |
[17:54] | Hey, uh, | 嗨! 呃 |
[17:55] | I’m Ariel Dubois’ father. | 我是Ariel Dubois的爸爸 |
[17:57] | I was wondering if I could talk to you for a second. | 我能和你谈谈吗 |
[18:11] | You’re late! | 你迟到了! |
[18:15] | Not a terribly auspicious start, Mrs. Dubois. | 这可不是什么好的开场 Dubois太太 |
[18:17] | I’m really sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[18:18] | I should have been here in plenty of time. | 我本来可以早到很多的 |
[18:19] | I forgot that I didn’t have my official ID anymore | 我忘了已经没有专用证照了 |
[18:22] | and that they took away my permanent parking space. | 他们把我的专用泊车位取消了 |
[18:25] | They made me go up to the third… | 让我开到三楼泊车… |
[18:26] | The judge took ill, there’s no court today. | 法官病了 今天不用开庭 |
[18:29] | I don’t know why, | 不晓得为什么 |
[18:30] | but somehow I expected you would have known that before anyone else. | 我总觉得你应当比别人先知道 |
[18:33] | Uh-huh. | 嗯哼 |
[18:35] | Anyway, | 总之 |
[18:37] | my boy had an epiphany last night. | 我的客户昨晚胡思乱想了 |
[18:38] | He wants to testify in his own defense. | 他想上庭作证 自我辩护 |
[18:41] | I told him I thought it was ill-advised. | 我告诉他那样做不会有什么分别 |
[18:42] | Of course, that only hardened his resolve. | 但那样更坚定了他的决心 |
[18:46] | I thought we’d have a little rehearsal, | 我们该预先排练一下 |
[18:48] | a little, uh, mock trial this afternoon. | 今天下午模仿审讯过程排练 |
[18:50] | Uh, Attorney Watt, | 嗯 Watt律师 |
[18:51] | I have to talk to you about John Edgemont. | 我要和你谈谈John Edgemont |
[18:53] | No, actually. No. You don’t. | 不 你不必那样 |
[18:59] | You’re not the only one with good instincts around here, Mrs. Dubois. | 你不是这里唯一一个有直觉的人 Dubois太太 |
[19:02] | I have a hunch that you’re going to tell me something about my client, | 我有预感你会说说一些关于我客户的话 |
[19:05] | something about our client that I don’t need to hear. | 一些我不想听到的话 |
[19:07] | Well, I think you do. | 嗯 你没说错 |
[19:08] | I had a dream about him last night. | 我昨晚做了个和他有关的梦 |
[19:10] | I’m sure you did. | 当然你会做梦 |
[19:11] | But whatever you dreamt doesn’t change the fact | 但无论你梦到什么都改变不了一点 |
[19:13] | that there’s a man accused of murder | 他被控谋杀 |
[19:14] | who needs someone to mount his defense. | 得有人为他辩护 |
[19:16] | And speaking for myself only, I’d like to be that someone. | 而我很乐意做那个辩护的人 |
[19:19] | The pay is good and the work is interesting. | 报酬很可观 案情也很有趣 |
[19:21] | And if you’d like to be that someone, too, | 如果你愿意参与 |
[19:23] | you change the subject and change it quickly | 就赶紧改变想法 |
[19:25] | because whatever you think about me | 无论你怎么想我 |
[19:26] | you should know that I’m not keen on suborning perjury. | 我不是行贿别人做伪证的人 |
[19:30] | Now, John Edgemont | 不 John Edgemont希望向陪审团 |
[19:32] | wants to tell his side of the story to that jury | 讲述他自己的故事 |
[19:34] | and you know as well as I do that I can’t put him on the stand if I know he’s guilty. | 你和我都清楚 如果他真的有罪 我不可能代表他 |
[19:47] | Good. | 好 |
[19:49] | I’m glad we see eye-to-eye on this. | 很高兴我们达成共识 |
[19:53] | We’ll reconvene at 2:00. | 2点钟重新集合吧 |
[19:57] | You might want to show up around 1:45. | 也许你想提早到1点45分来 |
[20:00] | Parking can be tricky at that building. | 这里的停车位很紧张 |
[20:04] | So you admit that you and your wife fought on the night of her death. | 那你承认在她遇害当晚你们有吵架? |
[20:08] | Yes, we had an argument. | 是的 我们吵架了 |
[20:09] | What about? | 为了什么事呢? |
[20:11] | The children. | 孩子们 |
[20:12] | My children. | 我的孩子们 |
[20:15] | Myra’s a, | Myra是大学的一年级新生 |
[20:16] | a freshman at college and she’s taken to coming and going as she pleases. | 她总是随意外出 |
[20:20] | ??? about her hours. | 我妻子认为她需要生活得有规律 |
[20:24] | Or insist that she move to campus. | 坚持她应该搬到学校 |
[20:26] | Stay in a dorm. | 在宿舍住 |
[20:27] | And you disagreed? | 你不同意? |
[20:29] | I like having my children with me at home. | 我喜欢让孩子呆在家和我一起住 |
[20:33] | I just… | 我只是… |
[20:35] | I like it. | 喜欢那种感觉 |
[20:37] | And is Myra the only thing that you two disagreed about that night? | Myra是你们俩争吵的唯一原因吗? |
[20:41] | No. | 不 |
[20:42] | No, we also had a conversation about Chloe. | 我们还谈到Chloe了 |
[20:44] | What about Chloe? | Chloe怎么了? |
[20:45] | She requires a lot of attention, doesn’t she? | 她需要格外多的关注 不是吗? |
[20:47] | Yes, Chloe requires constant supervision. | 是的 Chloe需要有人监管 |
[20:51] | We have nurses, but it’s, it’s, uh… | 我们请了护士 但是… |
[20:54] | it’s always difficult to have… | 但还是很困难 |
[20:56] | a child with special needs at home. | 家里有个特殊儿童很不容易 |
[21:01] | Stacey didn’t have a lot of patience. | Stacey不太有耐性 |
[21:05] | She felt that we should put Chloe in a facility. | 她说该把Chloe送去专业机构 |
[21:07] | In an institution? | 在专业机构里? |
[21:09] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[21:09] | And again, you… | 然后你再一次… |
[21:11] | you didn’t agree. | 不赞同 |
[21:13] | I was fairly adamant that both my children should live at home. | 我的态度很强硬 2个女儿都该留在家里住 |
[21:17] | W-Wait a second. | 等等 |
[21:19] | Let’s talk about this word “adamant.” | 谈谈强硬这个词吧 |
[21:21] | It conjures up all sorts of images. | 它太容易引起画面感了 |
[21:23] | It makes you sound intractable. | 让你听起来像个狠角色 |
[21:25] | Let me make something clear here. | 我先和你说清楚 |
[21:27] | No one is asking you to lie. | 没人要你撒谎 |
[21:29] | But it would be very helpful to our cause | 但对这个案子会很有帮助 |
[21:31] | if somehow this jury was made to believe | 如果令陪审团相信 |
[21:33] | that the idea of sending Chloe away | 把Chloe送走的主意 |
[21:35] | was something you might have reluctantly considered. | 你有不情愿地考虑过 |
[21:38] | But it’s just not true. | 但那不是事实 |
[21:41] | My father would never put Chloe in an institution. | 爸爸永远不可能把Chloe送到机构里的 |
[21:44] | We’re a family. | 我们是一家人 |
[21:44] | She belongs at home with us. | 她属于这个家 该和我们呆在一起 |
[21:46] | I know that, Ms. Edgemont, and I admire it. | 我知道 Edgemont小姐 我很赞同这个看法 |
[21:49] | But without lying about any of the material facts of this case, | 但不说出事实的部分真相 |
[21:52] | we have | 得向陪审团 |
[21:53] | to paint a picture for the jury | 描绘一个画面 |
[21:54] | on who your father is. | 展现你爸爸是个怎么样的人 |
[21:56] | We want it to be impossible for them to imagine | 要令他们相信 |
[21:58] | that he’s done this horrible thing. | 你爸爸不可能做出这么残忍的事 |
[22:01] | We’re fighting for your father’s life here.She understands. | 我们在努力挽救你爸爸的性命 她明白的 |
[22:04] | We both understand. | 我们都明白 |
[22:06] | I’ll, um… | 我会… |
[22:08] | I’ll try to avoid using the word “adamant.” | 我会试着不用强硬这个字眼 |
[22:15] | All right, so… | 好吧 那么… |
[22:16] | that’s a lot of stress on a new marriage, isn’t it? | 新婚有很多压力 对吗? |
[22:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:20] | That night, you fought. | 那晚你们吵架了 |
[22:23] | Yes, we did. | 是的 |
[22:26] | And you claim that your wife | 你声称妻子开车出去 |
[22:27] | went out for a drive to clear her head. | 清醒一下头脑 |
[22:30] | That’s what she did. | 她就是那样做的 |
[22:31] | And you didn’t worry when she failed to return home? | 她没回家的时候你不会担心? |
[22:35] | Of course I worried. | 我当然担心! |
[22:37] | And the longer she was gone, the more I worried. | 她离开得越久 我就越担心 |
[22:39] | I couldn’t raise her on the cell phone we just had an argument. | 打手机找不到她 因为我们才刚吵过架 |
[22:43] | I mean, I guess I was hoping she was cooling down. | 我希望她冷静点了 |
[22:47] | I guess I was hoping she’d call me. | 希望她会主动打电话给我 |
[22:49] | And finally, | 最后 |
[22:50] | just before 4:00, I called the police. | 我在大约凌晨4点报警 |
[23:24] | It’s done. | 完成了 |
[23:26] | Okay. Good. | 好的 很好 |
[23:30] | Really? I’m not so sure. | 真的吗? 我不确定哦 |
[23:32] | Dad, you know what would’ve happened | 爸爸 你知道如果和他们说真话 |
[23:35] | if you told them the truth. | 会发生什么事 |
[23:37] | They would’ve taken Chloe away. | 他们会带走Chloe的 |
[23:39] | To an institution. | 送去专门机构 |
[23:40] | Or worse, prison. | 更糟的是监狱 |
[23:43] | It’s not like we had a choice. | 我们根本没有选择 |
[23:45] | Now, you promised Mother. | 你答应过妈妈的 |
[23:47] | You promised you would never send Chloe away. | 答应过永远不把Chloe送走的 |
[23:49] | I know. | 我知道 |
[23:53] | But Myra, | 我是答应过她 但是 Myra |
[23:53] | I know I did. | 我是答应过她 但是 Myra |
[23:55] | this isn’t the first time she’s hurt someone. | 这不是她第一次伤人了 |
[23:57] | But Dad, you know it isn’t intentional. | 爸爸 你知道她不是故意的 |
[24:00] | She isn’t capable. | 她没那个能力 |
[24:02] | She just gets frustrated. | 她只是很沮丧而已 |
[24:03] | She doesn’t know her own strength. | 不知道自己能造成多大伤害 |
[24:06] | I know. | 我知道 |
[24:08] | I know that. | 我知道那点 |
[24:11] | Stacey wasn’t the best stepmother. | Stacey不是最棒的继母 |
[24:15] | And she wasn’t the best wife. | 也不是最好的老婆 |
[24:18] | But she didn’t deserve to die like that. | 但她不该死得那么惨 |
[24:21] | Nobody does. | 没人应受有这样的遭遇 |
[24:23] | For the last time,Mr. Edgemont | 最后问一次 Edgemont先生 |
[24:25] | did you or did you not kill your wife? | 你有没有杀自己的妻子? |
[24:29] | No. I did not. | 不 我没做过 |
[24:39] | Look, Dad, Mom’s home from work exactly | 看啊 爸爸 |
[24:42] | when we got home from school. | 妈妈刚好在我们放学的时候下班了 |
[24:45] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[24:48] | Hi, Mom, how was your day? | 妈妈 今天过得怎么样呢? |
[24:49] | Mine was good. | 我过得不错 |
[24:50] | We had sloppy joes for lunch. | 午餐有炒牛肉�u |
[24:52] | I never actually had a sloppy joe before. | 之前都没吃过呢 |
[24:55] | Except I really like them. | 我真的很爱吃 |
[24:57] | This kid named Brett told me the sandwich | Brett说那些三文治 |
[24:59] | was actually made out of the guts | 是胖子Joe |
[25:00] | of some guy named Joe who’s really sloppy. | 用内脏做出来的 |
[25:03] | But I don’t believe that. Do you believe that, Mom? | 不过我才不信呢 你相信吗? 妈妈 |
[25:05] | I really need to speak with you. | 我得和你谈谈 |
[25:07] | You first | 你先说 |
[25:08] | No, you first. | 不 你先说 |
[25:10] | It turns out that John Edgemont is not guilty. | John Edgemont是清白的 |
[25:12] | Not? Excellent. You sure? | 没做过? 太好了! 你确定吗? |
[25:15] | Did you discover this before you gave back the money? | 你退钱之前就发现了? |
[25:17] | Answer the second question first. | 先答第二个问题 |
[25:18] | Okay, I told you I was not giving the money back. | 我说过没有退钱啊 |
[25:20] | I told you I was not quitting. | 我说过我不会退出 |
[25:21] | Okay, calm down. | 好啦 冷静点 |
[25:23] | Boy, you seem awfully upset for somebody | 你看起来真是心烦意乱 |
[25:26] | who just eight hours ago was worried | 而且是为了那个 |
[25:27] | they might be toiling away for someone | 8小时前你还担心是真凶 |
[25:29] | who committed a horrible crime. | 犯下血案的人 |
[25:31] | He’s covering for his daughter. | 他替女儿顶罪而已 |
[25:33] | His daughter killed his wife? | 他女儿杀了继母? |
[25:35] | There’s something wrong with her. | 她有点问题 |
[25:37] | She’s got brain damage of some sort. | 她的大脑有点损伤 |
[25:38] | I only saw her once, briefly. | 目前我只见过她一次 |
[25:41] | She seemed sweet. | 她看上去很可爱 |
[25:43] | Apparently, she’s got a real a temper. | 看上去脾气很大 |
[25:46] | What are you going to do? | 你打算怎么办? |
[25:47] | The district attorney is pushing for the death penalty. | 检察官争取判他死刑 |
[25:49] | I feel like I have to tell somebody. | 我觉得我该说出来 |
[25:51] | Maybe Watt, maybe the district attorney. | 和Watt或检察官说 |
[25:53] | And then I think, “No, I can’t do that. | 然后又觉得不该那样做 |
[25:55] | This man is choosing to do this.” | 他自己选择这样做的 |
[25:57] | He’s not being framed. | 他不是被人陷害的 |
[25:58] | He’s not being coerced. | 也不是被迫的 |
[25:59] | This is a father trying to protect his daughter. | 只是父亲想保护女儿而已 |
[26:03] | Now, what was your thing? | 现在又关你的事了? |
[26:05] | Oh, no, that’s not fair. | 不 那样不公平 |
[26:07] | I can’t possibly follow your dilemma. | 我不可能体会你的困境 |
[26:09] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么? |
[26:10] | You’ve got this, like, seven course meal | 你的问题严重多了 |
[26:12] | of a moral quandary going on, I’ve got this little | 简直是大事件 |
[26:13] | fast food burger of a problem. It’s okay, it’ll wait. | 我的问题不过是小菜一碟 可以等一下的 |
[26:15] | Joe. | |
[26:17] | I know how Ariel is getting her money. | 我知道Ariel的钱是怎么来的 |
[26:22] | I thought we already had this conversation. | 我以为我们不谈这个问题了 |
[26:23] | Yes, we did, but then I took her to school yesterday | 是的 但昨天送她上学 |
[26:25] | and she’s hanging around with these older kids. | 发现她和高年级学生混在一起 |
[26:27] | You know, and your imagination just starts to go crazy. | 然后我就胡思乱想了 |
[26:30] | Then I realized I just had to be forthright about it. | 然后我意识到该教育一下她 |
[26:32] | I mean, I had to do something. | 我得做点什么 |
[26:33] | What are you talking about “do something”? | 你打算做什么? |
[26:34] | I don’t know, just grab the bull by the horns. | 不知道 抓住要点吧 |
[26:36] | Anyway, I saw the older girl that Ariel was talking to | 我看到那天和Ariel说话的高年级女生 |
[26:40] | the other day, and then I just figured, “What the hell?” | 然后我想管他呢 |
[26:42] | And then you…? | 然后你? |
[26:42] | Nothing. I didn’t do anything. | 没什么 我什么都没做 |
[26:46] | Hey, you should see the look on your face. | 嗨 你照镜子看看自己的表情吧 |
[26:48] | Well, you must have done something. | 你得做点什么 |
[26:50] | Nothing. I give you my word. | 没什么 我答应过你 |
[26:52] | I didn’t do anything. | 我没做过什么 |
[26:54] | I just went up, I started talking to this girl. | 我只是上去和她们谈了一下 |
[26:56] | Oh, no. Oh, yes, how else do you think | -噢! 不会吧! -是的 不然怎么会知道… |
[26:58] | that I could figure out how Ariel was getting her money? | Ariel的钱是怎么来的 |
[27:00] | You can’t do that. | 你不可以那样做 |
[27:01] | You can’t go behind her back and talk to her friends. | 不可以暗地里她找她朋友谈话 |
[27:03] | It wasn’t behind her back. | 不是暗地里 |
[27:06] | It was in broad daylight in front of a whole bunch of people. | 那时是白天 周末还有很多人 |
[27:08] | She just didn’t happen to be one of them. | 只是她碰巧不在场而已 |
[27:10] | This is terrible. You haven’t even heard… | 太可怕了! 你还没听我要说什么… |
[27:12] | Okay, fine. Tell me. | 好吧 告诉我 |
[27:14] | She’s doing readings. | 她有研究过 |
[27:16] | Just this one girl, far as I can tell. | 就我所知只有这个女生 |
[27:19] | And she seemed pretty impressed with whatever Ariel | Ariel说的话她很爱听 |
[27:20] | was telling her, which is probably a pretty good thing | 也许是些好事 |
[27:22] | considering she charged her $50. | 因为她付了50块钱 |
[27:26] | I guess with all the attention that you got | 你去年曝光率那么高 |
[27:27] | in the press last year, it’s just a matter of time | 有人纠缠她 |
[27:29] | before somebody sought her out. | 也只是时间的问题 |
[27:31] | I can’t deal with this right now. | 我现在没办法想这个 |
[27:32] | You don’t have to deal with it. | 你不需要处理 |
[27:34] | I’ll deal with it. | 让我来 |
[27:35] | Well, you definitely can’t deal with it. | 很明显你处理不好 |
[27:36] | The minute that she finds out how you got this information | 一旦她发现你的消息来源 |
[27:38] | everything you say is just going to fall on deaf ears. | 你怎么说都会成为耳边风了 |
[27:41] | Oh, yeah? How is it that you know this and I don’t. | 是吗? 怎么可能就你知道这点? |
[27:42] | Well, I don’t know, Joe. | 我不知道 Joe |
[27:43] | How is it I know this and you don’t? | 怎么可能我知道你不知道呢? |
[27:47] | Hello? | 什么? |
[27:49] | You know, I don’t get that. | 我不懂 |
[27:50] | Excuse me? | 抱歉 |
[27:51] | I don’t get that either. | 我也不懂 |
[27:53] | You can’t tell who’s on the phone, | 你不知道谁打电话来的 |
[27:55] | you leave your bag behind after a meeting, | 开会后落下手袋了 |
[27:57] | and you call yourself a big time psychic? | 你还说自己是划时代的灵煤? |
[27:59] | Mr. Watt. | Watt先生 |
[28:01] | Ooh, maybe I spoke too soon. | 也许我说得快了点 |
[28:03] | So what do you want me to do with this bag? | 你想我怎么处理这个袋子? |
[28:05] | There’s not much here, just a pad and some pens. | 没多少东西 就只有本子和几支笔而已 |
[28:07] | You want me to hold onto it until tomorrow? | 我想我留着直到明天吗? |
[28:09] | Where are you? | 你在哪? |
[28:10] | I’m at the coffee shop | 我在咖啡店里 |
[28:12] | across the street from where we were, why? | 穿过街道就是了 |
[28:20] | Thanks for waiting. | 谢谢你等我 |
[28:26] | So what is it? | 到底是什么? |
[28:28] | What is what? | 什么? |
[28:31] | You didn’t come all the way here to get back a pad and some pens. | 你不会只是特地来拿本子和笔的 |
[28:34] | You’re dying to tell me something. | 你有事要和我说 |
[28:36] | Just remember our agreement. | 记住我们的协议 |
[28:38] | I don’t want to know if it has… No, it’s not that. | 我不想知道… 不 不是那些 |
[28:40] | On the contrary. | 正好相反 |
[28:42] | Now, I’m certain he didn’t do it. | 我很肯定他没做过 |
[28:48] | So ask me who did. | 那问我是谁做的啊 |
[28:50] | Do I care? | 我会在乎吗? |
[28:52] | It’s Chloe. | 是Chloe |
[28:54] | His youngest. | 他的幼女 |
[28:55] | And Edgemont knows. | Edgemont也知情 |
[29:00] | Well, that’s not the reaction I was expecting. | 这可不是我期待的反应 |
[29:03] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思? |
[29:05] | Why am I not surprised? | 我怎么一点都不惊讶? |
[29:11] | About six years ago I got a call | 6年前我接过一个电话 |
[29:13] | from Edgemont’s civil attorneys | Edgemont的民事律师打来的 |
[29:15] | that my office needed to write up a, uh… | 要我的办公室起草一份文件 |
[29:18] | a waiver of liability. | 放弃追究责任的声明 |
[29:21] | A live-in nurse that John and his first wife employed | John和第一任妻子聘请的私人护士 |
[29:24] | was attacked in her bed in the middle of the night. | 午夜在床上遇袭 |
[29:26] | Sound asleep, someone starts | 当时她正熟睡 |
[29:27] | beating the crap out of her with a baseball bat. | 有人用棒球棍狠狠打她 |
[29:30] | Couple of broken ribs,contusions to the face… | 断了几根肋骨 脸部有挫伤 |
[29:34] | A hundred thousand dollars and that waiver later… | 塞了几千块钱给她 她就签了弃权书 |
[29:38] | the problem just… disappeared. | 然后事情就那么了结了 |
[29:41] | Chloe? | |
[29:43] | So what do we do now? What do you mean? | 我们现在该怎么办? 你是什么意思? |
[29:46] | This doesn’t change anything. | 什么都改变不了 |
[29:47] | Our client is still innocent. | 我们的客户是清白的 |
[29:50] | And we have to continue to defend him. | 我们要继续为他辩护 |
[29:52] | But isn’t the best way to defend him, | 但为他脱罪的最好方式 |
[29:54] | to prove to the court who really did it? | 难道不是向法庭证明凶手另有其人吗? |
[29:55] | Well, that’s one strategy. | 那是一个办法 |
[29:58] | But I’m fairly certain it’s a strategy | 但老实说 |
[30:01] | to which our clients would take exception. | 客户一定会反对的 |
[30:04] | Listen, let’s… | 听着 我们… |
[30:07] | let’s get out of here, you know? | 我们走吧 |
[30:08] | We have to finish picking a jury tomorrow. | 明天还要出席审讯呢 |
[30:11] | I can’t do that. | 我不可以那样 |
[30:12] | Can’t do what? | 不可以做什么? |
[30:14] | I can’t be a party to this. | 我不能成为其中一员 |
[30:16] | Look, I know you think what he’s doing is honorable, | 我知道你觉得他这样做很可敬 |
[30:19] | but she is obviously dangerous. | 但她明显是个危险分子 |
[30:22] | She needs help. | 她需要帮助 |
[30:23] | And she’s not going to get it as long as everyone | 只要大家认定是他爸爸做的 |
[30:25] | is convinced that her father is the guilty party. | 她就不可能受到教训 |
[30:27] | We have to tell someone. | 我们得和别人说 |
[30:29] | Tell them what? | 说什么? |
[30:32] | I mean no disrespect. | 我无意对你不敬 |
[30:34] | Where did you get this? | 你这样做从哪得到启示的? |
[30:35] | A fortune cookie? Burning bush? | 幸运饼? 燃烧的灌木? (都是神谕的形式) |
[30:38] | I’m not the D.A. | 我不是地方法院检控官 |
[30:40] | I’m a gun for hire. | 我只是个枪手 |
[30:42] | And John Edgemont didn’t hire me to turn his daughter in. | John Edgemont不是请我把他女儿供出来的 |
[30:44] | Yeah, well, I’m a gun for hire, too, | 我也只是个枪手 |
[30:46] | and I didn’t sign on for this. | 我不会就这么算的 |
[30:48] | Look, don’t be foolish. | 听着 别傻了 |
[30:51] | The guy is paying you good money. | 他付给你这么多钱 |
[30:53] | And he is innocent. | 而且他是无辜的 |
[30:55] | This is as close as you get to a straight flush | 简直是辩护界的 |
[30:57] | in the defense attorney business. | 同花顺 |
[31:00] | Listen, I don’t want to have to go back to my client | 我不想找客户 |
[31:02] | and explain to him why one day you’re on the team | 向他解释你今天还站在我们这边 |
[31:04] | and the next day you’re off. | 第二天就变卦了 |
[31:07] | Please, let’s just get through this trial. | 算了吧 熬过审讯就可以了 |
[31:09] | And then after our client is declared innocent, | 客户被宣布无罪释放之后 |
[31:12] | you want to be a Girl Scout and go tell someone | 你想告诉谁 |
[31:14] | about his daughter, go ahead. | 就告诉谁呗 |
[31:15] | But for now, take his money and pay your bills. | 但现在什么都别说 乖乖拿钱付账单吧 |
[31:20] | Go buy yourself something. | 买点东西给自己 |
[31:22] | Buy your kids something. | 买点东西给孩子 |
[31:23] | I mean, isn’t that really what this is all about? | 难道生活不是这样的? |
[31:25] | Taking care of your kids? | 照顾好自己的孩子 |
[31:27] | ‘Cause that’s all I’m trying to do. | 至少我是那样的 |
[31:28] | And that’s all you’re trying to do. | 是你该努力去做的 |
[31:30] | that’s all that he trying to do | 是他致力做的 |
[31:51] | You smell like shampoo. | 你闻起来好香哦 |
[32:01] | I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[32:13] | Thank you for feeding everybody and bathing everybody. | 谢谢你喂饱她们 帮她们洗澡 |
[32:15] | They’re my kids, too, you know. | 她们也是我的女儿 |
[32:17] | Well, I know that. | 我知道 |
[32:20] | Did you talk to Ariel? | 你和Ariel谈过了吗? |
[32:22] | You asked me not to. | 你叫我别说的 |
[32:25] | Do you have any idea what you’re going to say to her? | 你有想过怎么和她说吗? |
[32:27] | Well, actually, Larry Watt gave me an idea. | Larry Watt�o了我启发 |
[32:29] | And it’s $50. Take it. | 这里有50块钱 拿着 |
[32:33] | What’s it for? | 用来做什么的? |
[32:36] | It’s for your friend, Marcy. | 给你朋友Marcy的 |
[32:38] | I want you to give her her money back. | 我希望你把钱还给她 |
[32:40] | Daddy told you? | 爸爸告诉你了? |
[32:43] | Mm-hmm. | 嗯 |
[32:48] | But I don’t get it. | 可是我不明白… |
[32:49] | Why are you giving this to me? | 你为什么要给我? |
[32:51] | Because I can. | 因为我可以 |
[32:55] | Because I want you to put that genie back in the bottle. | 因为我希望你把异能都收回去 |
[32:58] | Because I don’t want you going through high school | 我不希望在整个中学阶段 |
[33:01] | with everyone remembering you | 人们想起你的时候 |
[33:03] | for things that, frankly, | 只会想起这个 |
[33:05] | if I was given a choice, | 如果我当初有选择 |
[33:08] | I’m not sure I would wish on you. | 我也不希望你遗传到这个异能 |
[33:11] | There is so much more to you than that. | 你还有很多事情可以做 |
[33:14] | I can’t bear the thought of you taking a math test, | 我不敢想象考数学考试的时候 |
[33:17] | and everyone thinking that you had an unfair advantage. | 人人都以为你知道答案 觉得不公平 |
[33:21] | Or some boy | 或者男生想约你 |
[33:24] | wanting to ask you out, but hesitating | 却犹豫不决 |
[33:27] | because he’s sure that you already know. | 因为他们肯定你已经预见到 |
[33:30] | And for people clamoring for your attention | 还有向你叫嚣的人 |
[33:33] | for all the wrong reasons. | 还有其他错误的原因 |
[33:35] | Not because they want to know you, | 不是因为他们想了解你 |
[33:39] | but because they want to know what they think you know. | 而且因为他们想在你身上 得到自己想要的答案 |
[33:44] | Can I tell you a secret? | 我可以告诉你一个秘密吗? |
[33:47] | It wasn’t even my idea. | 那不是我的主意 |
[33:50] | She came up to me at school | 她主动找上我 |
[33:53] | and started asking about you. | 然后问你的事 |
[33:55] | Said she’d pay anything to know her future. | 说愿意付出任何代价来知道自己的命运 |
[33:57] | What college she’d end up going to. | 将会考上什么大学 |
[34:01] | What the name of the man she was going to marry would be. | 将来的丈夫叫什么名字 |
[34:05] | And I wanted that makeup case so bad. | 而我真的很想要那个箱子 |
[34:09] | I just started writing down anything that… | 就写下脑海里出现的 |
[34:12] | came to my mind | 所有东西 |
[34:14] | and then I told it to her. | 然后告诉了她 |
[34:18] | I have no idea if I’m right about any of it. | 我也不清楚那些是不是真的 |
[34:21] | Neither will she. | 她也不知道 |
[34:24] | Not for years. | 至少这几年都无法验证 |
[34:26] | Oh, my girl. Trust me. | 宝贝 相信我 |
[34:28] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[34:32] | You have to give that money back. | 你得把钱还回去 |
[34:35] | It might hurt a little bit at first, | 也许刚开始有点困难 |
[34:38] | but then, after that… | 但之后… |
[34:40] | Mommy, what’s this? | 妈妈 这是什么? |
[34:45] | Oh. | 噢 |
[34:52] | Oh, I completely forgot about this. | 我完全忘了这个 |
[34:55] | Oh, I think it’s supposed to be some kind of fairy. | 我觉得这是仙女呢 |
[34:58] | But I don’t know what it means or why I drew it. | 不过不知道什么意思 也不知道什么时候画的 |
[35:01] | Is it a magic fairy? | 是魔法仙女吗? |
[35:03] | Whoa. | 哇 |
[35:05] | You know, I don’t know what kind of fairy she is. | 我不知道她是什么仙女 |
[35:07] | Oh, wait, wait. | 等等 |
[35:09] | Oh, she’s a sleepy-time fairy. | 她是个睡美人呢 |
[35:13] | And she’s saying that all the little girls | 她说偷偷摸摸 |
[35:16] | who sneak around | 翻妈妈东西的小姑娘 |
[35:17] | and go through their mama’s things have to go to bed now. | 该上床睡觉了 |
[35:27] | I heard voices, fighting. | 我听到有声音 我害怕 |
[35:31] | Sweetie, what are you doing awake? | 宝贝 你怎么醒了? |
[35:33] | You should be asleep. | 你应该好好睡觉啊 |
[35:34] | This is Stacey’s room. She doesn’t like us in here. | 这是Stacey的房间 她不喜欢我们呆在这 |
[35:38] | Don’t worry, sweetie. | 宝贝别担心 |
[35:45] | Stacey’s gone. | Stacey走了 |
[35:47] | Gone? Yes. | 走了? 是的 |
[35:49] | Gone forever. | 永远消失了 |
[35:50] | Can you keep a secret? | 你会帮我保守秘密吗? |
[35:54] | Stacey wanted to send you away. | Stacey想把你送走 |
[35:56] | To a hospital. | 送到医院去 |
[35:58] | She wanted us both to leave. | 她想我们都离开 |
[36:01] | She wanted Daddy all to herself. | 她想独自霸占爸爸 |
[36:05] | Don’t want to go to hospital. | 我不想去医院 |
[36:07] | Oh, sweetie, I know that. | 宝贝 我知道的 |
[36:08] | I know that, and you know I could never let that happen. | 我知道你也知道 我不会让那样的事发生 |
[36:11] | I wouldn’t let her send you away, | 我不会让她把你送走的 |
[36:12] | so I made her leave | 所以我把她弄走了 |
[36:14] | to protect you. | 来保护你 |
[36:16] | But then I started to get scared. | 然后我开始害怕了 |
[36:18] | I got scared that Daddy might be upset. | 我怕爸爸会生气 |
[36:21] | What if Daddy got mad at me because Stacey had left? | 万一爸爸因为Stacey走了生我气怎么办? |
[36:25] | Daddy loves Stacey. | 爸爸爱Stacey |
[36:28] | Daddy loves Stacey | 爸爸爱Stacey |
[36:29] | And Daddy loves Chloe. | 爸爸也爱Chloe |
[36:32] | In fact, | 而且 |
[36:33] | he never gets mad at Chloe, | 他永远不会生Chloe的气 |
[36:35] | so I told him you did it. | 所以我告诉他是你做的 |
[36:37] | Me? | 我? |
[36:39] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[36:40] | Just like that other time with the bad nurse | 就像那次的坏护士 |
[36:42] | who kept telling on you and me? | 她总是骂我们 |
[36:44] | Remember we told Daddy that you hit her? | 记得我们告诉爸爸是你打她的吗? |
[36:47] | This is just like that. | 就像那次一样 |
[36:51] | And now everything’s going to be fine. | 现在一切都好了 |
[36:55] | You can keep my secret for me, can’t you, baby? | 你会帮我保守秘密吧? 宝贝 |
[36:59] | And you’ll never tell Daddy the truth? | 永远不把真相告诉爸爸? |
[37:01] | Even if he asks? | 即使他问你? |
[37:03] | No, I won’t. | 不 我不会说的 |
[37:05] | He’ll be so mad at me. | 他会很生我气的哦 |
[37:07] | I won’t tell, I won’t! | 我不会说 不会说的! |
[37:15] | Oh, I love you so much. | 我很爱你 |
[37:22] | I used the fairy. | 我用仙女了 |
[37:27] | Do you want to touch it? | 你想摸摸她吗? |
[37:29] | Feel what it felt like? | 感受一下它是怎么样的? |
[37:32] | Go on. | 继续 |
[37:36] | Put your hands on it. | 把手放上去 |
[37:38] | You’re not going to hurt anything. | 你不会伤害任何人的 |
[37:45] | Oh! | 噢! |
[37:47] | Wait. | 等等 |
[37:49] | Oh! Oh! Oh. | 噢! |
[37:51] | I have to call Larry Watt. | 我要打�oLarry Watt |
[37:54] | Oh, it’s going right to voicemail. | 噢! 转到语音信箱了 |
[37:56] | Oh, it’s-it’s barely 7:00. | 现在还不到7点呢 |
[37:58] | His cell phone probably isn’t even on yet. | 可能还没开手机 |
[38:02] | He’s still not picking up. | 他还是没接电话 |
[38:04] | Hey, Mom, can we have sloppy joes for breakfast some time? | 妈妈 我们早餐时可以用牛肉酱吗? |
[38:07] | Sure, babe. | 当然可以 宝贝 |
[38:08] | Allison, put the phone down. | Allison 把电话放下 |
[38:10] | The man obviously isn’t at work yet. | 显然他还没上班 |
[38:13] | No. I’ll feed the kids. | 不 让我来喂孩子吧 |
[38:15] | You go get ready for court. | 你去准备上庭吧 |
[38:16] | This was the scene just before dawn | 这是凌晨时分 |
[38:18] | at the Mariposa County Courthouse, | 在Mariposa郡法院现场 |
[38:20] | where accused killer John Edgemont | 谋杀案被告John Edgemont |
[38:22] | confessed and surrendered to the District Attorney | 向检察官供认一切 |
[38:25] | in the bludgeoning deathof his wife, Stacey Edgemont pled guiltyto second degree manslaughter | 承认谋杀妻子Stacey Edgemont 被判二级谋杀罪 |
[38:28] | Oh, my God. Tell Mommy you want sloppy Joes. | -天啊! -告诉Mommy你想要牛肉酱 |
[38:32] | Edgemont, in a sudden, early morning confession, | Edgemont在早晨突然认罪 |
[38:35] | admitted that he struck his wife | 承认与妻子争吵过程中 |
[38:37] | with a small sculpture during an argument, | 用小雕像砸死了她 |
[38:39] | then attempted to mislead authorities | 然后尝试警方 |
[38:41] | by staging a car accident to cover up the crime. | 通过伪造交通事故掩盖谋杀 |
[38:44] | Even as we speak, the judge in the case | 在我们报道的同时 |
[38:46] | is meeting with the attorneys from both sides | 法官仍在与双方律师会面 |
[38:48] | to determine sentencing… | 决定刑罚… |
[38:49] | This is terrible. He thinks it’s Chloe. | 太可怕了! 他以为是Chloe做的 |
[38:50] | He thinks he’s protecting someone who needs protecting. | 他以为在保护该受保护的人 |
[38:52] | I have to get down there. | 我得过去 |
[38:55] | The other thing to remember here is, | 有另一点需要铭记 |
[38:57] | it’s not over till it’s over… | 事情一日未结束就不算了结 |
[39:03] | I’ll tell you, Mrs. Dubois. | 我告诉你 Dubois太太 |
[39:05] | This arriving after everythinghas happened | 事后诸葛 |
[39:07] | is not a good thing for your reputation as a psychic. | 对你灵媒的名声没有好处 |
[39:10] | I woke up. | 我醒了 |
[39:11] | I saw it… on the television. | 我在电视上看到了 |
[39:14] | Why? | 为什么? |
[39:15] | I got a call at 3:00 in the morning. | 我在凌晨3点接了个电话 |
[39:17] | He wanted to confess, wanted to turn himself in. | 他想认罪 投案自首 |
[39:20] | There was no changing his mind. | 没有任何事能改变他的主意 |
[39:22] | There was no talking to him about it. | 也不肯和我谈 |
[39:24] | No one’s more shocked by all this than I am. | 没人比我更惊讶了 |
[39:31] | Well, I’m going to head home and grab a shower. | 我要回家洗个澡了 |
[39:35] | If you need anything. | 还有什么可以帮你的? |
[39:37] | I’m fine. | 我还好 |
[39:41] | Mrs. Dubois. | Dubois太太 |
[39:46] | I know my father would want me to thank you | 我爸爸一定希望我替他谢谢你 |
[39:49] | for all that you did on his behalf. | 谢谢你为他做的事 |
[39:51] | I know he didn’t do it. | 我知道不是他干的 |
[39:53] | Mr. Watt told me. | Watt告诉我 |
[39:54] | Oh, he loves my sister. | 他很爱我妹妹 |
[39:58] | Maybe too much. | 也许太爱了 |
[40:00] | Why 3:00 in the morning? | 为什么是凌晨3点 |
[40:02] | Why the sudden urgency? | 为什么要那么急? |
[40:04] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:06] | I mentioned to him about your drawing. | 我向他提过你的画 |
[40:07] | The fairy? | 仙女的画? |
[40:10] | I saw when it came to you in that lawyer’s office. | 我在律师的办公室时看到的 |
[40:13] | I think he was concerned that it was only a matter of time | 我想他担心人们发现真相 |
[40:17] | before someone found the statue, | 只是时间问题 |
[40:21] | tied my sister to the crime. | 到时妹妹会受法律制裁 |
[40:22] | Your sister, right. | 你妹妹是吧 |
[40:25] | So what happens to her now after all this? | 那她以后会怎么样呢? |
[40:28] | Doesn’t she just end up in a hospital | 她不会最终进疗养院 |
[40:30] | or an institution anyway? | 或别的机构吗? |
[40:32] | Absolutely not. | 当然不会! |
[40:34] | She’ll be with me in the house we grew up in, | 她会和我一起呆在从小长大的家里 |
[40:36] | just like Daddy wants. | 正如爸爸希望的 |
[40:38] | Until you get mad at her, | 直到你生她气 |
[40:39] | or you don’t need her for an alibi anymore. | 或者不需要她做挡箭牌为止是吧? |
[40:42] | Or you just get tired of watching over her. | 或者到你厌倦了照顾她的时候 |
[40:47] | Once again | 再说一次 |
[40:49] | my whole family appreciates all that you’ve done for us. | 我和家人都很感激你为我们做的一切 |
[40:55] | Have a nice day, Mrs. Dubois. | 祝你今天过得愉快! Dubois太太 |
[40:59] | I’ll be watching you. | 我会盯着你的 |
[41:04] | I’m watching you | 我在盯着你 |