时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | From the second we awaken from a night’s slumber, we depend on– | 从我们梦醒的那一刻开始 我们就要依赖… |
[00:04] | no,take for granted– all sorts of invisible,silent, | 不 是把它们当作理所应当– 那些无形的 静默的 |
[00:08] | and violent systems that make our modern lives possible. | 强力的系统来实现我们的现代生活 |
[00:14] | Take that alarm clock. | 比如闹钟 |
[00:16] | Before it can do its job and wake me up, it has to have power. | 它要能发挥作用把我闹醒 首先它得有能量 |
[00:22] | Water,coal and wind power are harnessed by turbines and turned into…electricity, | 水能 煤炭和风能被涡轮转化为…电 |
[00:27] | which is then sent through cables that are over our heads and under our feet. | 通过我们头顶或者脚下的电缆传送 |
[00:33] | So it’s easy to forget that at any given time we are surrounded | 所以我们很容易忘记几乎所有的时候 我们都被包围着 |
[00:36] | by thousands or millions or billions of volts of electricity coursing all around us. | 被数千 数百万 数十亿计瓦特的 电能包围着 |
[00:42] | Joe? Girls? Come on! Today’s a big day. | Joe? 孩子们? 快起来! 今天是个大日子 |
[00:48] | Even something as simple as frying an egg begins thousands of feet underground | 就算是简单的用来煎鸡蛋的东西 也是从几千英尺深的地底而来 |
[00:53] | erthe se ofrehistoric plants and animals are pulverized into gas… | 诸多史前动植物的遗骸转化为天然气… |
[00:59] | then sucked out of the ground and processed, | 然后从地底抽出来并加工 |
[01:04] | and then piped all across the country through over one million miles of pipes, | 通过超过一百万英里长的管道 输送到全国各个角落 |
[01:08] | all of it there to heat us and make having a hot breakfast easier. | 帮我们加热 让我们更容易做出顿热乎乎的早餐 |
[01:15] | Come on,girls. Hurry up! We’re gonna be late. | 快点 孩子们 快来! 我们要迟到了 |
[01:18] | And then there’s that modern miracle we call a car. | 而这 就是我们的现代奇迹 叫做汽车 |
[01:21] | Built around the internal combustion engine, | 以内燃机为核心 |
[01:24] | the average American car holds anywhere from 12 to 16 gallons of gasoline. | 一般的美国汽车能加12到16加仑的汽油 |
[01:30] | That’s somewhere between 100 and 150 pounds of instantly combustible liquid. | 差不多就是100到150磅可以 立即燃烧的液体 |
[01:36] | It also contains a battery and at least six to eight quarts of oil. | 车上还装有一组电池 和至少6到8夸脱的润滑油 |
[01:40] | If you stop and think about it, taken as the sum of itsparts, | 如果你停下来想一想 把所有的部分加起来 |
[01:44] | it’s really a rolling bomb, | 它真的就是个到处移动的炸弹 |
[01:46] | equipped with stereophonic sound and adjustable seats. | 装有立体声音响和可调节座椅 |
[01:52] | But we don’t do that. | 但是我们不这么想 |
[01:54] | We don’t think of it in pieces. We think of it as a whole. | 我们不会孤立的看问题 我们从整体着眼 |
[01:56] | It’s a car. Our car. | 这是辆车 我们的车 |
[02:00] | And we love it. | 我们也超爱它 |
[02:47] | Medium Season04 Episode14 Car Trouble | 灵媒缉凶 |
[02:55] | – Hey,Ariel? – Yeah? | – 嘿 Ariel? – 干嘛? |
[02:57] | Did you ever notice that on the cereal box, there’s a picture of a kid, | 你发现没有 在麦片盒子上有一个 小孩的图片 |
[03:00] | sitting at a table eating cereal, and on that table is a cereal box, | 坐在桌子旁边吃麦片 在那个桌子旁边也有一个麦片盒子 |
[03:05] | and on that cereal box is a picture of a kid, | 在这个麦片盒子上面也有一个小孩的图片 |
[03:08] | sitting at a table eating cereal, | 坐在桌子旁边吃麦片 |
[03:10] | and on that table is another cereal box, and on that box… | 在那个桌子上又有一个麦片盒子 而那个盒子上面… |
[03:14] | – Dad,you have to make her stop. – Bridge,stop. | – 老爸 你得让她消停消停 – Bridge 别说了 |
[03:17] | What? I’m just trying to find out. | 干嘛? 我只是想研究一下 |
[03:19] | Do you think they go on forever? | 你说这循环会不会一直进行下去? |
[03:21] | Do you think the cereal boxes just keep going and getting smaller and smaller | 这个麦片盒子会不会这样循环 越来越小 |
[03:26] | till there’s one just the size of a molecule? | 直到只有一个分子那么大? |
[03:29] | You know,when you go under water in the bathtub, you’re staying down there too long. | 当你在浴缸里”潜水泳”的时候 你肯定在水下太久了(脑子浆糊了) |
[03:34] | Ariel… | |
[03:35] | Why? Because you don’t know the answer? | 为什么? 就因为你不知道答案? |
[03:36] | Do you girls know where your mother is? | 孩子们 知道你们老妈去哪儿了吗? |
[03:38] | I know the answer. I’m just not wasting it on you. | 我当然知道答案 只是懒得跟你��嗦 |
[03:42] | Honey,do you know where your mommy is? | 亲爱的 你知道你妈咪去哪里吗? |
[03:47] | Allison? | |
[04:06] | What are you doing out here? | 你在这里干嘛? |
[04:10] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[04:11] | Uh,what are you doing out here? | 唔 你在这里干嘛? |
[04:14] | You’re not going to believe this, but I had a crazy dream. | 你不会相信的 我昨晚做了一个可怕的梦 |
[04:17] | You don’t say. | 不说我也知道 |
[04:20] | I-I was taking the kids to school, and they climbed in the car, | 我…我正要载孩子们上学 他们刚上车 |
[04:23] | and I turned the key, and it blew up. | 我刚发动汽车 车就爆炸了 |
[04:27] | What do you mean,blew up? | 你是什么意思 爆炸? |
[04:32] | Okay,Allison, that’s crazy. I mean,cars– they-they… | 好了 Allison 果然是太神经过敏了 我是说 车嘛 它们 它们… |
[04:34] | Cars don’t just blow up. | 车不会自己爆炸的 |
[04:35] | Not unless somebody puts a bomb underneath them. | 除非有人在车下面装了个炸弹 |
[04:38] | Or forgets to put in oil in, and the engine catches on fire. | 或者忘记放润滑油进去 引擎起火了 |
[04:40] | I mean,cars don’t just blow up. | 我是说 车不会自己爆炸的 |
[04:42] | Yeah,I know that. I do. | 是的 我知道的 我真的知道 |
[04:44] | That’s why I came out here. I just… | 这就是为什么我来这里 我只是… |
[04:47] | I figured, I’ll just sit in the car. I’ll turn the key and prove it. | 我想我就坐在车里 发动汽车 证明一下 |
[04:52] | Okay. | 好呀 |
[04:52] | The thing is, I just… I can’t do it. | 事实上 我只是…我做不到 |
[04:54] | I’ve been sitting out here for 15 minutes. I just can’t. | 我干坐在这里都15分钟了 我做不到 |
[04:56] | I can’t get my hand to turn the key. | 我不敢伸手过去发动汽车 |
[05:00] | Okay,Allison, get out of the car. | 好吧 Allison 从车上下来 |
[05:02] | Why? What are you going to do? | 为什么? 你要做什么? |
[05:03] | I’m going to slide in and turn the key. | 我要进去 发动汽车 |
[05:05] | You can’t do that. | 你不能这么做 |
[05:06] | You could kill our kids. | 你会害死我们的孩子的 |
[05:08] | You could kill yourself, kill me,destroy our house. | 你也会害死你自己 害死我 还会毁了我们的房子 |
[05:12] | Allison… | |
[05:13] | I dreamt it. | 我梦到了 |
[05:22] | What are you doing? | 你要去干嘛? |
[05:24] | Where-Where are you going? | 你要去哪里? |
[05:25] | I’m gonna round up our kids. | 我要去跟孩子们在一起 |
[05:26] | I’m gonna go stand on the corner with them while you try to start the car. | 在你发动汽车的时候 我要跟她们一起站在街角 |
[05:37] | Well,hold on a second. | 等等 |
[05:40] | Mom,I don’t understand. | 老妈 我不明白 |
[05:41] | Why are we standing on the corner staring at our own house? | 为什么我们要站在街角 看我们自家房子? |
[05:44] | It’s kind of hard to explain. | 一下子解释不清 |
[05:49] | It’s stupid. | 真是愚蠢 |
[05:52] | Never mind! | 算了! |
[05:54] | Don’t do it! | 别那么做! |
[05:59] | Joe! | |
[06:02] | Answer me! | 回答我! |
[06:06] | Dad? | 老爸? |
[06:07] | Joe,don’t turn that key! Joe! | Joe 别发动汽车! Joe! |
[06:12] | Do not turn that key! | 别发动汽车! |
[06:15] | You guys calling me? | 你们叫我? |
[06:18] | Thank God you didn’t do it. | 感谢上帝你啥也没做 |
[06:19] | Do what, sweetie? | 做什么 亲爱的? |
[06:21] | Sweetie,hey,hey, hey,it’s okay. | 亲爱的 嘿 嘿 嘿 没事儿了 |
[06:23] | I’ve just been trying to turn the car on for the last five minutes. | 刚才我花了5分钟去发动汽车 |
[06:26] | It’s dead. It won’t do anything. | 它坏掉了 啥也做不了 |
[06:26] | It won’t start,won’t click,won’t turn over. Nothing. It’s dead. | 发动不了 也不响 也没办法倒车 什么也干不了 坏掉了 |
[06:31] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[06:33] | Okay,thanks. Gracias. | 好了 谢谢 |
[06:41] | Well,that was fun. | 好了 真好玩 |
[06:43] | All of us in the car together,going to school. | 我们全家一起开车 去学校 |
[06:47] | Dropping off the girls. | 送孩子们上学 |
[06:49] | So,if you’re going to take the car to go meet Scanlon, | 那么 如果你要开车去找Scanlon |
[06:51] | how am I going to get home tonight? | 我今天晚上怎么回家? |
[06:53] | Well,just call me when you’re ready. | 你要回家的时候给我打个电话 |
[06:54] | I’ll ask Ariel to watch the girls, and I’ll come and get you. | 我会让Ariel照顾好妹妹们 我就过去接你 |
[06:57] | Okay,I suppose that works. | 好吧 我想也只能这样了 |
[06:59] | Um,all right,so I guess I’ll call you once I hear from the mechanic. | 唔 好吧 等修理工那边有了消息 我就给你打电话 |
[07:02] | I’ll fill you in. | 告诉你详细的信息 |
[07:06] | Hey,this is great! I’m early. | 嘿 真棒 我还有时间 |
[07:08] | I just realized, I don’t have to drop you off. I can come in with you. | 我刚刚才想到 我不用让你下车 我可以跟你一起去 |
[07:11] | I can see your new office, see where you work. | 我可以看看你的新办公室 看看你上班的地方 |
[07:14] | You sure you want to do that? | 你确定你想去? |
[07:16] | That’s an awful lot of excitement for this early hour in the morning. | 一大早的 那里可是有超多惊喜的噢 |
[07:24] | This is nice. | 不错嘛 |
[07:27] | Oh,yes,we have it all. | 噢 没错 全都是我们的 |
[07:29] | Floors,ceiling,window. | 地板 天花板 窗户 |
[07:31] | Which one’s yours? | 哪个办公室是你的? |
[07:37] | Hey,I got a good feeling. | 嘿 我有好的预感哦 |
[07:39] | Oh,that’s static electricity. That’s your feet dragging on the carpet. | 哦 那是静电 那是你的脚在地毯上面乱蹭 |
[07:44] | Hey,where you going? Allison? What are you doing? | 嘿 你去哪里? Allison? 你要去干嘛? |
[07:48] | Hey,Allison? | 嘿 Allison? |
[07:51] | She’s got a picture of her boyfriend on her desk! We like that. | 她桌面有一张她男朋友的照片! 我喜欢这个 |
[07:55] | Hey,don’t do that. Don’t go in there. | 嘿 别那么做 别进去 |
[07:58] | She’s pretty! You never told me that she was so pretty. | 她很漂亮! 你一直没告诉我她很漂亮 |
[08:01] | Allison,I beg of you, get out of her office! | Allison 算我求你了! 快从人家的办公室里出来 |
[08:04] | She’s going to walk through that front door any second. | 她随时都可能从前门进来 |
[08:06] | If you’re going to be a successful entrepreneur, | 如果你要做一个成功的企业家 |
[08:08] | – you better learn to calm down. – Come on! | – 你最好学学怎么冷静 – 快过来! |
[08:13] | Thank you. | 真感谢 |
[08:15] | What’s the big deal? Everybody does it. | 有什么大不了的嘛? 大家都是这样的 |
[08:21] | Mrs. Dubois? | Dubois夫人? |
[08:22] | Allison. | 叫我Allison |
[08:24] | Meghan Doyle. | |
[08:25] | So nice to finally meet you. | 很高兴终于见到你了 |
[08:27] | Yeah,it’s nice to finally meet you. | 恩 我也很高兴终于见到你了 |
[08:29] | I recognized you from the pictures on Joe’s desk. | 我是从Joe桌面上的照片认出你的 |
[08:37] | So this is nice. Special occasion? | 这样真好 今天是啥特别日子? |
[08:39] | Uh,no. We just,you know, decided to carpool. | 也不是啦 我们只是决定拼车 |
[08:43] | Um,actually, I need to get going. | 事实上 我得走了 |
[08:47] | I’ll walk you to the car. | 我送你去找车子 |
[08:48] | We should get together for dinner one night. | 我们应该找个时间一起出来吃个饭 |
[08:50] | That-That would be fun. It was nice finally meeting you. | 真是个好主意 很高兴见到你 |
[08:53] | Nice meeting you,Allison. | 很高兴见到你 Allison |
[08:58] | Well,she’s very pretty. | 她长得很漂亮 |
[09:00] | Well let’s try not to hold that against her. | 不能因为长得好看就讨厌人家 |
[09:03] | So,wait a second. You’re saying that the entire electrical system needs to be replaced? | 那么 等等 你是说整个电源系统 都要更换掉? |
[09:07] | Well,how much is that going to cost? | 一共要花多少钱? |
[09:09] | You’re kidding me. | 你开玩笑吗 |
[09:11] | I don’t think the car cost that when we bought it. | 我买车都没花这么多钱 |
[09:14] | No,don’t start work on the car, not until you hear back from me. | 不要 不要修车 直到我给你答复 |
[09:20] | Oh,yeah? | 哦 怎么了? |
[09:23] | Well,that’s serendipitous. | 有这么巧合的好事 |
[09:26] | Sorry,Ricky. I’m going to have to call you back. | 不好意思 Ricky 我等会儿再给你打过去 |
[09:29] | Um,but I’m very interested. | 唔 但是我很感兴趣 |
[09:32] | Okay,I will. I will call. Bye. | 好的 我会的 我会打过去的 再见 |
[09:37] | Sorry. Car place. | 抱歉 是修车厂打来的 |
[09:40] | My wife’s car is,like, dead to the world. | 我老婆的车 就这么全坏了 |
[09:45] | Sorry. That’s not why you came to see me. | 抱歉 你来找我还有其他事 |
[09:48] | The company that’s doing our patent search just called me. | 帮我们进行专利研究的公司 刚刚打电话过来 |
[09:52] | We’re completely clear everywhere in North America. | 北美地区我们可以放心申请专利 |
[09:55] | South America looks fine,Asia. | 南美和亚洲也没问题 |
[09:58] | But he’s worried that there may be a patent filed in | 但是他担心的是 有一个专利登记在 |
[10:01] | what they used to refer to as one of the Eastern Bloc countries. | 我们曾说的东方阵营国家之一 |
[10:04] | He wouldn’t be specific with me,but they have free market economies now. | 他没跟我说具体情况 但是他们现在也是自由市场竞争经济体制 |
[10:08] | They’re trading partners,competitors. | 他们是贸易伙伴 也是竞争对手 |
[10:11] | So,if somebody already beat us to the punch, | 所以 如果有人已经捷足先登 |
[10:15] | in let’s say the Czech Republic… | 假设在捷克共和国… |
[10:18] | So wait a second. What are you saying? | 等等 你是什么意思? |
[10:19] | Are you saying that they think that somebody in Eastern Europe already came up with my idea? | 你是说他们认为在东欧已经 有人跟我的发明一样? |
[10:25] | What does that mean? | 这意味着什么? |
[10:28] | It means… | 也就是说… |
[10:30] | it’s a good thing all this furniture is rented. | 幸好所有的家具都是租来的 |
[10:33] | It means we wait. | 也就是说我们得等 |
[10:35] | I don’t know what it means. | 我也不知这意味着什么 |
[10:36] | I’m hoping it that doesn’t mean anything. | 我希望什么事也没有 |
[10:38] | I’m hoping,in a day or two, once they’ve finished their research, it means nothing. | 我希望 过一两天之后 他们做完了研究 证明什么事也没有 |
[10:43] | That’s what I’m hoping. | 这就是我所希望的 |
[10:50] | Don’t panic. I’m a friendly burglar. | 别惊慌 我是个友善的贼 |
[10:54] | I’m even bringing in the mail. | 我甚至还帮你们拿信了 |
[10:56] | Hey,what are you doing home? | 嘿 你回家做什么? |
[10:57] | I thought you were going to call me for a ride. | 我还以为你会打电话叫我去接你 |
[11:00] | Did they fix my car yet? | 他们修好我的车没? |
[11:02] | Uh,no,they didn’t. | 唔 没 没有 |
[11:04] | Okay,so how’d you get home? | 好的 那么你是怎么回家的? |
[11:05] | And why do you have that funny look on your face? | 还有为什么你脸上一副怪怪的表情? |
[11:07] | – Ah,well,therein lies a tale. – Really. | – 额 这是个童话来的 – 真的? |
[11:11] | Yes.And though it begins quite sadly, | 是的 故事的开头很悲惨 |
[11:15] | ’tis a tale with a happy ending, methinks. | 我想 直到童话以幸福快乐结束 |
[11:18] | Mom, why is Dad talking funny? | 老妈 为什么老爸说话怪怪的? |
[11:21] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[11:22] | Um,your car, I’m afraid,has shuffled off this mortal coil. | 唔 你的车 恐怕已经离开人世了 |
[11:27] | What does that mean? They can’t fix it? | 这是什么意思? 他们修不好? |
[11:29] | Uh,well, anything can be fixed, but it would cost more than it’s actually worth to do it. | 其实 所有的东西都可以修改 只是花的钱比它本身的价值还要多 |
[11:34] | Well,Joe,I love that car. | Joe 我很爱那辆车 |
[11:36] | I know you do,babe. | 我知道你爱 亲爱的 |
[11:37] | Honey,that’s the first car we bought together. | 亲爱的 那是我们一起买的第一辆车 |
[11:39] | We brought our daughters home from the hospital in that car. | 我们用那辆车把孩子们从医院里接出来 |
[11:41] | I know. | 我知道 |
[11:42] | But remember how I said that this story had a happy ending? | 但是 你还记得我跟你说过的 这个故事结尾是幸福快乐不? |
[11:45] | Okay,so the mechanic, who was fixing our car, | 好了 那个帮我们修车的修理工 |
[11:48] | he called me,and he told me that he’d just put new tires on a pristine SUV | 他打电话告诉我 他刚给一辆 旧的SUV换了新轮胎 |
[11:52] | that the owner was looking to get rid of. | 车主正想转手 |
[11:54] | – For a steal. – For a steal? | – 价格超便宜 – 很便宜吗? |
[11:57] | Yeah. I mean,this thing,this, I mean this car is… | 是的 我想说 这辆车 这个 我是说这辆车真是 … |
[11:59] | is big. It’s clean. It’s roomy. | 很大 很干净 车内空间也很宽敞 |
[12:00] | It’s got all kinds of things that your car never had. | 它有你车上永远不可能有的设备 |
[12:03] | Navigation. CD player. Cup holders. | 卫星导航系统 CD机 茶杯托 |
[12:05] | Cup holders? I do love cup holders. | 茶杯托? 我喜欢茶杯托 |
[12:09] | I don’t know. A used car. | 我拿不定主意 毕竟是一辆旧车 |
[12:12] | Well,I know, honey, but the truth is we can’t afford a new one. | 是的 我明白 亲爱的 但是事实上 我们买不起一辆新的 |
[12:14] | And this car really isn’t that used. | 这辆车也不是很旧 |
[12:17] | Yeah,okay,but,you know, it belonged to somebody else. | 是倒是 但是 你知道的 它曾经属于其他人 |
[12:19] | It had a past life with somebody else. | 它跟其他人生活过 |
[12:21] | But I’m telling you, this car looks like it just came right off the showroom floor. | 但是我告诉你 这辆车就像是 刚从展示厅上拿过来的一样 |
[12:25] | So,you’ve seen it? | 那么 你看过车了? |
[12:26] | Actually,I drove it. | 事实上 我还开过 |
[12:28] | Actually,I bought it. | 事实上 我还买下来了 |
[12:31] | I know it was wrong to buy it without you. | 我知道没跟你商量就买了 很不好 |
[12:33] | Just it seemed too good to be true. | 只是 这样的好事真的不容错过 |
[12:37] | – It’s pretty in here. – My car seat’s already in here! | – 里面挺漂亮的 – 我的座位都已经准备好了! |
[12:40] | Is this car that I’m going to drive when I turn 16? | 等我满16岁之后 我可以开这辆车不? |
[12:47] | Our mechanic called and told me what time the guy was going to get there– | 我们的机修师打电话给我 告诉我车主什么时候会到那儿– |
[12:49] | the guy who owned it to pick it up– and so I just went over there. | 车主把车开过去– 我只要过去就行了 |
[12:52] | I was just having one of those days where everything went wrong | 我只要从混乱的阶段里抽出一天来 |
[12:54] | and then I saw this car and it just seemed so right. | 然后我就看到了这车 看上去正合适 |
[12:56] | It’s kind of a big change being this high. | 这么高级 真是个很大的改变 |
[12:59] | Now,look, if you don’t like this, you can take my car and I’ll take this. | 瞧 如果你不喜欢这车 你能开我的车 我开这辆 |
[13:03] | Come on,girls. Hop in! We’re going to take this baby for a test drive. | 快 孩子们 上车! 我们来试试车 |
[13:07] | I call the front! | 我坐前座! |
[13:08] | – I call the back! – I call the back,too. | – 我坐后座! – 我也坐后座 |
[13:11] | Seat belts! | 系上安全带! |
[13:12] | – Seat belt. – Buckle up. | – 系上安全带 – 都扣上 |
[13:18] | Sounds nice! | 听上去很不错! |
[13:21] | Hey,can you check the spaghetti? | 你能注意一下煮着的意大利面吗? |
[13:23] | No problem. | 没问题 |
[13:26] | Now don’t go too far. | 别开太远 |
[13:28] | Remember, none of you have passports. | 别忘了 你们谁都没有护照 |
[13:30] | Say good-bye to Daddy,girls. We may never see him again. | 和爸爸说再见 孩子们 我们可能见不到他了 |
[13:34] | Bye,Dad! | 爸爸 再见! |
[13:40] | So I guess now we wait. | 我想我们现在只能等待了 |
[13:42] | What exactly are we waiting for? | 我们到底要等待什么? |
[13:44] | Uh,for the patent folks to check the records of all those Eastern European countries. | 专利局的人要审查所有东欧国家的记录 |
[13:49] | And that’ll take? | 这要花多久? |
[13:51] | Oh,I don’t know. A day or two. | 我也不知道 一两天吧 |
[13:53] | We should know something, uh,tomorrow night. Or the night after that. | 明晚或后天晚上就能有消息了 |
[13:58] | The time difference doesn’t help. | 时差把这事儿弄得更麻烦 |
[14:00] | All right,so I’m going to ask the obvious question. | 那我来问这个问题吧 |
[14:04] | You know,if everything could go away tomorrow, should we really be buying a car? | 如果所有的一切明天就化为乌有 我们还需要买车吗? |
[14:09] | I don’t know. Probably isn’t very smart. | 我也不知道 或许这么做不明智 |
[14:14] | Just felt great. | 只是感觉很棒 |
[14:17] | I can’t explain it. It’s just been so hard. | 说不清 这段时间我们一直很艰难 |
[14:20] | Not being able to buy anything. | 什么都买不起 |
[14:22] | And not being able to do anything for my family. | 也没能力为我的家庭做些什么 |
[14:31] | I love that car. | 我爱死那车了 |
[14:34] | It’s a beautiful car. | 真的很漂亮 |
[14:36] | I was actually thinking I’d like to go sit in it some more. | 事实上我已经想过 要多在里面坐会儿 |
[14:39] | – You want to? – No. | – 你真想这么做? – 不 |
[16:28] | I’m telling you,Joe. | 我要告诉你 Joe |
[16:30] | Someone was shot in that car! A woman. | 有人被枪杀在那车里! 一个女人 |
[16:32] | She was sitting in the seat right next to me. | 她就坐在我旁边的座位上 |
[16:34] | Well,I’m sorry,honey, but I don’t think that’s possible. | 对不起 亲爱的 但我觉得这不可能 |
[16:37] | I mean,what I mean to say is I-I did a records check on it. | 我想说的是 我已经查过这车的记录了 |
[16:40] | One of those online things and nothing came up. | 那种网上查询的东西 什么都没发现 |
[16:43] | Of course nothing came up! | 当然发现不了什么! |
[16:44] | Those things are supposed to tell you if a car’s in a collision or an accident. | 你还想那些网上的东西告诉你 车曾经撞车过或发生过车祸吗 |
[16:48] | Not something like this. | 不会有这些记录的 |
[16:49] | No wonder this car was such a bargain. | 怪不得这车卖的这么便宜 |
[16:51] | Well,hold on a second. Wait,wait,wait, wait,wait,wait. | 等一下 等等 等等 等等 |
[16:54] | Look… be fair here. | 听着… 对这车公平点儿 |
[16:56] | There’s nothing wrong with the car itself. | 这车可没犯什么错 |
[16:59] | It had no way of knowing it was going to end up being driven by you. | 它可不知道它最终会到你手上 |
[17:01] | Excuse me. | 你说什么 |
[17:02] | All right,okay. Hold on a second. That came out wrong. | 好吧 等等 这车来的不是时候 |
[17:04] | – What I’m trying to say… – No,I know what you’re trying to say. | – 我想说的是… – 不 我知道你想说什么 |
[17:06] | But I’m not the problem here. This car is haunted. | 但我不是问题的关键 那车闹鬼 |
[17:10] | And I cannot, I will not drive it again, much less ask my children to sit in it. | 而我不能也不会再开它 更不会让我的孩子坐在里面 |
[17:15] | All right. All right. Fine. Okay. I hear you. | 好吧 好吧 我听你的 |
[17:18] | First thing in the morning, I’ll drive it back to the guy that I bought it from. | 明早的第一件事 我就把车开回我买车的地方去 |
[17:20] | I’ll see if I can convince him to give me my money back. | 看看是不是能说服卖主把钱退给我 |
[17:23] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:24] | In the meantime, you drive the kids in my car. | 这段时间 你用我的车载孩子们吧 |
[17:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:41] | Hello. Well,what do you know? | 你好 谁知道呢? |
[17:43] | If it isn’t the fella who robbed me blind yesterday. | 是不是昨天狠赚了我一笔的伙计 |
[17:46] | I’m sorry to drop in like this. | 很抱歉这么冒昧来访 |
[17:47] | Oh,it’s okay. In fact, I was going to call you. | 哦 没关系 事实上 我正想给你打电话 |
[17:49] | Forgot to give you a couple of things. | 有些东西忘了给你 |
[17:51] | Cigarette lighter, extra key, little jar of touch-up paint. | 打火机 备用钥匙 一小瓶润色漆 |
[17:53] | I appreciate that. | 非常感谢你 |
[17:55] | The thing is,um, I got a problem. | 问题是 呃 我这出了点儿问题 |
[17:57] | Okay. What kind of problem? | 什么问题? |
[17:59] | Well,it’s my wife,um… | 我的妻子 呃… |
[18:01] | She’s not crazy about the car. | 她不喜欢这车 |
[18:04] | Really? | 真的? |
[18:06] | Do you think maybe she just needs some time to get used to it? | 会不会她需要一段时间来习惯? |
[18:09] | If only it were that simple. | 如果这么简单就好了 |
[18:11] | Well,I’m sorry, but I don’t know what to tell you. | 我很抱歉 但不知道该对你说什么 |
[18:15] | Well,I was hoping you’d tell me that you hadn’t sent the,uh, | 我希望你会告诉我 你还没有给 呃 |
[18:18] | notice of sale in to the DMV yet. | 车辆管理局发已经出手的通知 |
[18:20] | Well,I have. | 我已经发了 |
[18:22] | But it wouldn’t have made any difference if I hadn’t. | 即使我还没发 事情也一样 |
[18:25] | If you’ll excuse me, I have to go in now. Get ready for work. | 不好意思 我要进屋准备上班了 |
[18:27] | Uh,well,the thing is,uh, I don’t know if it’s the same with cars,but with houses, | 问题是 呃 是否卖车和卖房一样 |
[18:31] | when you sell ’em, you’re obligated to disclose certain things. | 当你出售的时候 你有义务先说清楚一些事情 |
[18:34] | Like if there’s been a… a recent death on the premises. | 比如 最近是否有人死在车里 |
[18:38] | Okay. So what’d you do? | 你想做什么? |
[18:41] | You Google me or something? | 你上网查了我还是怎么的? |
[18:42] | You figure now that you know, you can come back here, maybe I’ll cut the price even more? | 你以为凭你所知道的 就能回来让我把价格压的更低些? |
[18:45] | I’m not looking for a bargain. | 我不是来讨价还价的 |
[18:47] | I just want to give you the car back. Get my money back. | 我只是想退回你的车 拿回我的钱 |
[18:50] | Pretend the whole thing never happened. I’m sorry if I upset you. | 就当所有的事没发生过 如果这事让你烦恼我很抱歉 |
[18:53] | Do you know what happened? | 你知道发生了什么吗? |
[18:55] | My wife,uh, did the research. I just… | 我妻子 呃 做了调查 我只是… |
[18:58] | My wife was killed in that car. Shot. | 我妻子在那车里被杀了 枪击 |
[19:02] | While I watched. | 我亲眼所见 |
[19:06] | It was a carjacking. | 是一起劫车案件 |
[19:08] | Not three miles from here. | 发生在距离这不到三公里的地方 |
[19:11] | Coming back from a movie. Stopped at a light. | 我们看完电影回来 一道灯光让我们停下来 |
[19:13] | This guy comes out of nowhere with a gun. | 突然出来一个拿着枪的家伙 |
[19:16] | Told us to get out of the car. | 让我们下车 |
[19:20] | I can remember my hand reaching for the door when I heard her say it. | 我还能记得 当我的手准备开车门的时候 我听到她对我说 |
[19:24] | “Floor it,Tim. Floor it.” | “把他撂倒 Tim 撂倒他” |
[19:29] | Stupid me. I listened to her. | 我真傻 我听了她的话 |
[19:32] | I can’t really blame him for not wanting to take it back. | 我没法怪他不想收回那车 |
[19:35] | I know. I feel terrible for him. | 我明白 我也很同情他 |
[19:37] | So what are we going to do? | 那么我们能怎么做? |
[19:39] | Well,I don’t know.All I can think to do is sell it. | 我也不知道 我所能做的就是卖了它 |
[19:41] | – Oh,make it someone else’s problem. – Allison. | – 噢 让别人困扰去 |
[19:43] | Well,it doesn’t seem right. | 这么做不太对 |
[19:45] | Yeah,it’s actually a great car. | 没错 但这确实是辆好车 |
[19:47] | If you say so. | 如果你能这么说 |
[19:48] | Well,I do say so. | 我就这么说 |
[19:49] | And besides we can’t afford to buy another car until we get rid of this one. | 这车不出手 我们没钱买其他车 |
[19:54] | With any luck whoever buys it is going to be as blissfully unintuitive as I am. | 幸运的话 买主像我一样不会感应 仅仅是满心欢喜的享受这车 |
[19:57] | That’s not funny. | 这可不是开玩笑 |
[19:58] | It’s not meant to be funny. | 我可没在开玩笑 |
[19:59] | Allison,look, if you hadn’t told me about Rory Carmer’s ghost riding shotgun, | Allison 听着 如果你没告诉我 Rory Carmer的鬼魂 |
[20:02] | I’d be driving it around right now thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. | 我现在还开着这车 觉得它又新又好用 |
[20:06] | Oh,right. So now it’s my fault? | 好吧 所以现在成我的错了? |
[20:07] | I’m not saying that. I’m just saying… | 我没这么说 我只是说… |
[20:09] | Look,you,you know what I’m saying. | 瞧 你明白我想说什么 |
[20:11] | I know. We have to sell it. | 我知道 我们必须卖了它 |
[20:13] | Um,yes. Hold on,hold on, sweetie,hold on. | 是的 别挂 别挂 亲爱的 别挂 |
[20:19] | Yeah,well,we will. We will. As soon as we can. | 是的 我们能卖掉的 而且要尽快 |
[20:21] | Well,what does that mean? | 这是什么意思? |
[20:23] | Well,that’s the other thing I found out. | 我还发现了另一件事 |
[20:24] | Looks like we’re going to be stuck with it. For at least a couple of weeks. | 看来我们还等再等上一两周 |
[20:27] | Why? | 为什么? |
[20:28] | Well,because we can’t legally sell it until we have the title. | 因为我们要得到所有权后才能合法出售 |
[20:30] | And I called the DMV and,uh, they’re still like two weeks away from mailing it to us. | 我给车管局打了电话 呃 他们还得等两周才会把证寄过来 |
[20:34] | This is a fantastic phone call. | 这通电话还真让人高兴 |
[20:36] | Oh,yeah,we aim to please. | 是的 我们的目标就是让你高兴 |
[20:39] | Look,Allison,you’ll just have to drive my car and I’ll drive the hearse, all right? | Allison 你只能开我的车了 而我就开这辆鬼魂车 好吗? |
[20:41] | It’s not the end of the world. | 还没到世界末日 |
[20:43] | I just,I miss my old car. | 我只是 很想念我原来的车 |
[20:45] | Well,that’s a productive point of view. | 这是另一个问题了 |
[20:47] | – Look,I-I should really get to work. – Okay. | – 听着 我必须要工作了 – 好吧 |
[20:50] | – All right, I’ll talk to you later. – Bye. | – 好的 我待会儿再给你电话 – 再见 |
[20:58] | – More car trouble,huh? – Yeah. | – 车的问题? – 是的 |
[21:02] | I heard you guys going at it. | 我听到你们在电话里讲 |
[21:03] | Oh,no,no,no,no. We weren’t… | 噢 不 不 不 没事了… |
[21:06] | She’s not terribly happy with the car that I bought. | 她不喜欢我买的那辆车 |
[21:08] | And the truth is I shouldn’t have bought it without her. | 问题是 我不该独自买车 |
[21:10] | Ah,but this too will pass. | 但 这事会过去的 |
[21:12] | Um,it’s not like we had a fight or anything. | 我们并没有争吵或什么 |
[21:14] | Okay. If you say so. | 好吧 你这么说也行 |
[21:17] | What? | 怎么了? |
[21:18] | You don’t get to be my age and still single and not know what a fight is. | 不可能到我这个年纪还单身的人会 不知道争吵是什么样子的 |
[21:22] | But you’re right. It will pass. | 你说得对 事情会过去的 |
[21:26] | Had one myself last night and I’m expecting the make-up phone call any minute. | 我自己昨晚也经历了一次 我每时每刻都在等着那个和好电话 |
[21:31] | Looking forward to it,in fact. | 事实上 我很期待 |
[21:37] | So,how are the drawings coming? | 草图怎么样了? |
[21:40] | They’re coming. | 差不多了 |
[21:42] | Uh,is there any news on our patent search? | 我们专利审查进展如何? |
[21:43] | ‘Cause I gotta tell you, I really didn’t sleep very well last night. | 因为我要说 我昨晚真的没睡好 |
[21:50] | – All right,the drawings. – Drawings. | – 好吧 草图 – 草图 |
[21:57] | It’s all here. 911 calls,forensics report,everything. | 所有的都在这儿 911电话记录 鉴证结果 |
[22:02] | You mind telling me what you want all this for? | 介意告诉我要这些东西干嘛吗? |
[22:05] | I don’t know. I started thinking maybe this whole car thing happened for a reason. | 我不知道 我觉得或许 这车的整件事发生是有原因的 |
[22:08] | Maybe I’m supposed to help find this woman’s killer, | 或许 我能找到杀死这个女人的凶手 |
[22:10] | bring him to justice so he can never do this to anyone ever again. | 把他送上法庭 这样他就不能 再对别人做类似的事情了 |
[22:14] | Well,good luck. A lot of good detectives already spent months on this. | 好运 很多很棒的警察 调查这个案件很久了 |
[22:19] | I’ll be at my desk if you need me. | 如果你有什么需要 来我的办公桌找我 |
[22:23] | Oh,my God,she’s… she’s-she’s not breathing. | 哦 天哪 她已经…没有呼吸了 |
[22:25] | I don’t think she’s breathing! | 我没能感觉到她的呼吸! |
[22:26] | Sir,what is your location? | 先生 你现在在哪里? |
[22:28] | Uh,we’re,like,three blocks south of the Fantasy Theatre on-on that big road | 我们在 梦想电影院南边三个街区的地方 在那条大路上 |
[22:32] | that runs parallel to the freeway. | 和高速公路平行的那条 |
[22:37] | Okay,the man with the gun– did you see which direction he came from,Mr. Carmer? | 那个拿着枪的男人– 你看到他从哪个方向来的吗 Carmer先生? |
[22:40] | Um,no. | 没有 |
[22:42] | Uh,I was adjusting the radio, looking… looking for a station. | 我当时在调广播… 找电台 |
[22:45] | My wife loved classical music… | 我妻子喜欢古典音乐… |
[22:48] | We pulled up to the light, and-and there he was. | 我们朝灯光开去 他就在那儿 |
[22:50] | Was he white? Black? Latino? | 他是白种人? 黑种人? 拉丁血统? |
[22:52] | Uh,it was dark. | 当时很黑 |
[22:53] | And-And I-I don’t want to get this wrong. I mean… | 而且 我不想你们误会 我是说… |
[22:57] | he could have been white, but I-I think he was Latino. | 他可能是白种人 但我觉得他是拉丁血统的 |
[23:05] | Sorry to interrupt. | 很抱歉打断一下 |
[23:08] | One of the other detectives needs the room. | 另一个警察需要用这间房间 |
[23:09] | I’m gonna have to ask you to clear out. | 我不得不让你离开一下 |
[23:12] | I think I saw him,Lee.******* | 我想我看到他了 Lee 那个枪手 我知道他长什么样子了 |
[23:18] | Hey,Al,it’s… I’m sorry. Did I wake you? | 嘿 Al 我… 我很抱歉 把你吵醒了吗? |
[23:21] | Hey,listen,sweetie, how-how crazy is this? | 嘿 听着 亲爱的 这可真不可思议 |
[23:23] | Uh,it’s-it’s 10:00 at night, and I just now realized that I don’t have my wallet in my pocket. | 已经晚上10点了 我才发现 钱包不在口袋里 |
[23:29] | Um,where are you? In the living room. | 你在哪里? 在起居室 |
[23:32] | Hey,do me a favor– just go by… go in the kitchen and see if it’s… if it’s by the phone. | 嘿 帮我个忙– 去厨房看看 我的钱包是不是在电话旁边 |
[23:38] | Yeah. Yeah,I can hold on… | 是的 我能等会… |
[23:42] | Okay. Oh,good, good,good,okay. | 好的 太好了 |
[23:44] | No,no,no,no,no. I don’t need you to bring it to me. | 不 不 不 不 不用给我送来 |
[23:47] | I just need to know that it’s there. | 我只要知道它在那儿就行了 |
[23:50] | Yeah. Uh,it-it may be a while still,sweetie. I’m sorry. | 是的 呃 还要一会儿才能回去 亲爱的 很抱歉 |
[23:54] | Miss you. | 想你 |
[23:57] | I thought you were with the boyfriend. | 我以为你和男朋友在一起 |
[24:00] | Best-laid plans… | 精心计划的一切… |
[24:03] | Or not laid,as the case may be. | 没有如预期 就像我们的申请 |
[24:06] | No,actually,I got a call in the middle of dinner. | 事实上 我吃饭中途接到一个电话 |
[24:11] | It turns out there’s no one in the whole wide world | 我发现满世界找不到一个 |
[24:17] | as inventive as Joe Dubois. | 像Joe Dubois这么有创造力的人 |
[24:20] | What are you saying? Are you saying the patent people finally called? | 你在说什么? 专利局的人终于打电话来了? |
[24:23] | Are you saying the idea’s in the free and clear? | 你是说我的发明没问题了? |
[24:26] | I’m saying… that we’re in business,partner. | 我在说… 我们成为商业拍档了 |
[24:30] | We have a prototype to build, a future to forge. | 我们要建立原型 铸造未来 |
[24:37] | That is great news. | 真是个好消息 |
[24:39] | Now you probably want to get back to your boyfriend, celebrate. | 现在你或许想跟你男友一起庆祝 |
[24:44] | No. | 不 |
[24:46] | Is that the best idea you have? | 这是你想到的最好的庆祝方式吗? |
[24:50] | I mean,that doesn’t sound very inventive. | 我是说 这个听上去可没什么创意 |
[24:55] | That doesn’t sound like much of a celebration. | 听上去可不像什么庆祝 |
[25:17] | Hello. | 喂 |
[25:18] | I’m sorry. Did I wake you? | 对不起 吵醒你了? |
[25:19] | No,you didn’t wake me. | 不 没有吵醒我 |
[25:21] | I just now realized that I don’t have my wallet. | 我才发现我没带钱包 |
[25:24] | Your wallet? | 你的钱包? |
[25:27] | Yeah. Hold on. | 来了 等等 |
[25:31] | Allison. | |
[25:34] | What-What are you doing here? | 你怎么来了? |
[25:35] | I told you you didn’t have to come all the way down here. | 我说过你不用过来了 |
[25:37] | No. I know. I wanted to. | 我知道 我只是想过来 |
[25:40] | Couldn’t sleep. Thought I’d take a drive. | 睡不着 可能开车出来会好一点儿 |
[25:43] | Is something wrong? Don’t go in there. | 出了什么事吗? 别进去 |
[25:45] | No. I don’t know. | 没有 我说不清楚 |
[25:50] | Where’s Meghan? | Meghan在哪儿? |
[25:52] | Oh,I don’t know. She went home hours ago. | 我不知道 她几小时前就回家了 |
[25:54] | She’s the money. I’m the brains. | 她管钱 我负责思考 |
[25:55] | She leaves early. I stay late. America,America. | 她走的比较早 我留的迟 这就是美国 美国 |
[25:59] | – Here. – Thank you. | – 给你 – 谢谢 |
[26:02] | How about I follow you home? | 用我跟你回家吗 |
[26:05] | I’d like that. | 乐意至极 |
[26:06] | And you’ll view the suspects from in here. | 你将从这里审视疑犯 |
[26:08] | You’ll be able to see them and hear them, but they won’t be able to see you. | 你可以看到他们 听到他们 但他们却见不到你 |
[26:12] | Mr. Carmer,I’d like to introduce you to an associate of mine, Allison Dubois. | Carmer先生 容我为你介绍我的同事 |
[26:16] | Allison,this is Tim Carmer. | Allison 这位是Tim Carmer |
[26:17] | Dubois? Are you any relation to… | Dubois? 你是否认识… |
[26:20] | Joe’s my husband. | Joe是我丈夫 |
[26:21] | Actually,Mrs. Dubois here was instrumental in getting us to take another look at your case. | 其实是Dubois夫人协助我们 对你的案子再次进行了调查 |
[26:25] | She actually pointed us towards a possible suspect that, | 她为我们指出了一名 |
[26:27] | uh, we missed the first time around. | 第一次我们忽略的疑犯 |
[26:29] | I,uh,consult with the police department, | 我与警察局有联系 |
[26:31] | so when my husband mentioned that your wife’s murder was unsolved… | 所以当我丈夫提到你 妻子的谋杀案尚未解决… |
[26:34] | My God,that’s… nice of you. | 上帝 万分感谢 |
[26:38] | I was stunned when the detective called me this morning. | 今早接到警探电话的时候我很震惊 |
[26:40] | I had given up any hope of ever finding the man who did this. | 我已经对找到凶手不抱任何希望 |
[26:44] | Well,we can’t actually be sure we’ve found him yet,Mr. Carmer. | 我们还不确定已经找到凶手 Carmer先生 |
[26:47] | Not until you identify him. | 还需要你来确认 |
[26:50] | Should we give this a whirl? | 我们开始好吗 |
[26:56] | Take as much time as you need. | 慢慢来 别着急 |
[27:04] | Could you ask #3 to step a little closer,please? | 能否让3号站近些 |
[27:10] | #3,could you step forward,please? | 3号 向前几步好吗 |
[27:27] | I’m sorry. I just can’t be sure. | 对不起 我无法确定 |
[27:40] | Uh,I just don’t get it. | 我就是想不通 |
[27:42] | I see him so clearly in my head,Joe. | 我在脑海中见的清清楚楚 Joe |
[27:45] | I know,honey,but it’s not your word they’re looking for. | 我知道 宝贝 但他们要的不是你的证词 |
[27:49] | Um,so,listen… | 听着… |
[27:50] | uh,I spoke to our mechanic about the SUV, | 我和机械师说了SUV的事 |
[27:53] | and he actually has somebody else who might be interested. | 他说可能有个人会感兴趣 |
[27:55] | Um,the guy wants to come by and see it tomorrow afternoon. | 那个人想明天下午来看车 |
[27:58] | Thing is,he doesn’t want to drive all the way downtown to my office. | 可是他不愿意开车到城里我的办公室 |
[28:00] | He’d rather come here. | 他宁可来这 |
[28:02] | Um,is there any chance we could carpool in the morning so the car will be here for him? | 明早我们能不能拼车出门 把这车留在这里等他? |
[28:06] | Well,sure. | 当然 |
[28:08] | As long as I don’t have to get in it. | 只要别让我坐进那车里 |
[28:10] | No,you don’t have to get in it. | 你用不着坐进去 |
[28:13] | I think the guy just wants to see what it looks like. | 我想他只是过来看看样子 |
[28:15] | The mechanic already has him convinced it runs like a top. | 机械师已经告诉他这车跑起来没的说 |
[28:20] | You know what-what was nice? | 知道我喜欢你那样吗 |
[28:25] | Do you know what was nice? | 知道我喜欢你那样吗 |
[28:26] | The way you showed up at the office last night. | 昨晚你出现在我的办公室 |
[28:30] | Just kind of out of nowhere. | 就这么没来由的出现 |
[28:32] | I mean,I told you I didn’t actually need the wallet, but you brought it over anyway. | 我告诉你我不用钱包 但你还是送来了 |
[28:37] | That was nice. | 非常好 |
[28:43] | I… I have a confession to make. | 我要坦白一件事 |
[28:45] | Oh,really? We like confessions. Is it juicy? | 真的? 我们最喜欢坦白了 有趣的事吗 |
[28:50] | Not really. | 不算是 |
[28:53] | I,uh… | 我… |
[28:56] | I fell asleep on the couch last night. | 昨晚在沙发上睡着 |
[28:58] | I had a dream just before you called to ask about your wallet. | 你打电话来问钱包之前做了个梦 |
[29:02] | Okay. Something you want to share? | 好 有什么想要分享一下吗 |
[29:04] | In the dream, | 在梦中 |
[29:06] | you heard about your idea from the patent people. | 你得到了专利局的消息 |
[29:12] | No one else had thought of it. No one else in the whole wide world. | 没其他人想过这个点子 你的独一无二 |
[29:17] | And… you and Meghan were really happy about it. | 然后 你和Meghan为此兴奋不已 |
[29:23] | That why I brought you your wallet. | 因此我才去送钱包给你 |
[29:26] | I thought, maybe it’s really going to happen tonight. | 我想 也许这事今晚会发生 |
[29:32] | And I don’t want to miss it. | 我可不愿意错过 |
[29:34] | I want to be there when he’s really happy. | 我希望你开心的时候在你身旁 |
[29:37] | So,now,what does this mean? | 那这是什么意思 |
[29:40] | I mean,is there a statute of dream limitations on these kind of things? | 做这类事情的梦有没有限制 |
[29:43] | When will I hear about the patent? | 我什么时候会得到消息? |
[29:45] | And is it going to come true? Is-Is the news going to be good? | 会成真吗 会是好消息吗 |
[29:53] | I don’t know. I’m the woman who said that her car was going to blow up. | 不知道 我是那种说自己 汽车会爆炸的女人 |
[29:59] | Well,that’s not very encouraging. | 这话可不太鼓舞人心 |
[30:03] | Recognize him? | 认得他吗 |
[30:06] | This is our guy. My guy. | 这正是我们要找的疑犯 |
[30:08] | The man from the lineup yesterday. | 昨天他来参加列队指证 |
[30:10] | I-I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[30:12] | He’s a model, a male model. | 他是个模特 男模 |
[30:14] | Oh,when he isn’t, uh,carjacking and killing people, you mean? | 你意思是当他劫车 杀人时就不是模特了吗 |
[30:18] | Well,I can’t vouch for that, but,uh,I did do some checking, | 对此我可不敢保证 但我做了些调查 |
[30:21] | and a lot of other people can vouch for the fact | 许多人可以担保 |
[30:23] | that this fellow wasn’t even in Phoenix on the night that Mrs. Carmer was shot. | 在Carmer夫人被杀当晚他不在凤凰城 |
[30:27] | Apparently,he was in Los Angeles on some kind of a modeling assignment. | 显然他当时在洛杉矶参加走秀活动 |
[30:30] | A model? | 模特? |
[30:32] | I saw him in the mug book you gave me. | 我从你给我的犯人名册中见到的 |
[30:35] | He looks exactly like the man I keep seeing in my head. | 他正是我脑中浮现的那张脸 |
[30:38] | Well,he was in the mug book because,uh,apparently, | 他之所以会在名册中是因为 |
[30:40] | he feels the need to augment his modeling income with the occasional petty theft. | 他需要用不时的小偷小摸 来增加他做模特的收入 |
[30:44] | Some of that might be because he’s also trying to support a minor drug habit. | 还有部分原因是因为 他需要维持毒品需要 |
[30:49] | I don’t know what to tell you,Allison. | 我不知还能说什么 Allison |
[30:50] | The answer to the question, “Who killed Rory Carmer?” is not this fellow here. | “究竟谁杀死Rory Carmer” 这个问题的答案不是这人 |
[31:30] | You’re going to make me get in,aren’t you? | 你非得让我坐进去不可 对吗 |
[31:42] | Route guidance is now active. | 路线导航系统现已启动 |
[31:47] | Destination ahead 7.9 miles. | 目的地距离此处7.9英里 |
[31:51] | Destination ahead 7.9 miles. | 目的地距离此处7.9英里 |
[31:59] | Destination ahead 7.9 miles. | 目的地距离此处7.9英里 |
[32:09] | Your route guidance will start now. | 线路导航现在开始 |
[32:21] | Destination ahead 5.3 miles. | 目的地距离此处5.3英里 |
[32:35] | Home is ahead one-quarter mile. | 家距离此处1/4英里 |
[32:38] | Home? | 家? |
[32:40] | Right turn ahead. | 前方右转 |
[32:42] | Turn right now. | 现在右转 |
[32:51] | Home is 100 feet ahead on the right. | 家在右手边100英尺处 |
[32:59] | You are home. | 你到家了 |
[33:06] | Not my home. | 这不是我家 |
[33:11] | Oh,my gosh! | 上帝 |
[33:14] | Turn right now. | 现在右转 |
[33:18] | Wait. What are you talking about? Turn right where? | 等等 你在说什么 在哪右转 |
[33:21] | Turn right now. | 现在右转 |
[33:30] | Turn right now. | 现在右转 |
[33:38] | Your destination is ahead in 20 feet. | 目的地前方20英尺处 |
[33:45] | Ten feet. | 10英尺 |
[33:50] | Five feet. | 5英尺 |
[33:54] | Three feet. | 3英尺 |
[33:58] | Destination nine inches ahead. | 目的地前方9英寸处 |
[34:03] | Destination four inches ahead. | 目的地前方4英寸处 |
[34:10] | You have arrived at your destination. | 你已到达目的地 |
[34:48] | Help! | 救命! |
[34:50] | Please! Somebody! | 来个人帮帮我! |
[35:13] | I can’t believe I let you drag me to that movie in the first place. | 真不敢相信我竟让你拽我 去看那部电影 |
[35:15] | Not only was it moronic, it was long. Look at the time. | 不仅愚蠢 还很长 瞧瞧这都几点了 |
[35:20] | I’m sorry you didn’t like the film,dear. | 抱歉你不喜欢那个电影 亲爱的 |
[35:23] | What on earth? Not a second one. | 这究竟是什么 又弄上了 |
[35:26] | This way you know how far over you can be. | 这样你就能知道你开过头了 |
[35:29] | As if I don’t know how to park my own car in my own garage. | 说的好像我不知道该怎么在 自己的车库里面停车似的 |
[35:33] | When did you put this nonsense up anyway? | 你什么时候把这破玩意儿弄上的 |
[35:35] | This afternoon. | 今天下午 |
[35:38] | That’s why you parked my car in the driveway and let the sprinklers get it wet. | 这就是你把我的车停在车道上 让洒水车喷湿的原因了 |
[35:41] | Oh,for goodness’ sakes… | 看在上帝的份上 |
[35:44] | Wait. I haven’t shown you the best part yet. | 等下 我还没有给你看最精彩的部分 |
[35:47] | What,Tim? What is the best part? | 怎么 Tim 最精彩的是什么 |
[35:49] | Look. Over there. | 瞧瞧那边 |
[35:53] | I-I-I don’t see anything. | 我什么都没看见 |
[35:55] | Inside the vise. Do you see? | 在钳子上 看到了吗 |
[36:01] | What is that? It almost looks like a gun. | 那是什么 看起来很像一支枪 |
[36:03] | It is. It is a gun. | 没错 就是一支枪 |
[36:06] | What on earth is that doing there? | 放在那里做什么 |
[36:09] | Watch. | 看着 |
[36:54] | Hey,thanks for giving me a ride,Lee. | 谢谢你让我搭车 Lee |
[36:56] | I didn’t know who else to call. | 我不知道还能找谁 |
[36:58] | Joe doesn’t have a car today. | Joe今天没开车 |
[37:00] | It’s fine,Allison. | 没关系 Allison |
[37:04] | I’m still trying to make sense out of everything you just told me. | 我还在整理刚才你告诉我的一切 |
[37:07] | You and me both. | 我也是 |
[37:10] | So let’s say that is what happened. | 就算这是实情 |
[37:11] | Let’s say he did kill her. How do we prove it? | 就算真的是他杀了她 我们怎样证明 |
[37:15] | I-I don’t know. Get a search warrant, find the gun. | 不知道 申请搜查令 寻找那把枪 |
[37:18] | No judge is going to give me a warrant on the basis of a dream or a hallucination | 没有法官会仅凭你刚才的一个梦或幻想 |
[37:22] | or whatever it was you had back there. | 无论叫什么 就给我搜查令的 |
[37:24] | Frankly,I’d be amazed if he still had the gun. | 坦白讲 如果他还留着那把枪就稀奇了 |
[37:27] | Might be some blowback on the vise we could tie to whatever they recover from the car,but still. | 也许钳子上还留有后坐力的痕迹 可以与从车上找到的证据相吻合 尽管如此 |
[37:32] | I’ll never get a warrant to take a forensics team in there and find out. | 我不可能申请到搜查令 带鉴证人员去搜查 |
[37:38] | Boy,I’d love to talk to him again; love to take a look around that garage. | 我希望能再和他谈谈 去看看车库 |
[37:41] | Well,it’s wide open. | 门敞开着 |
[37:43] | The car’s sitting right there. The keys are in the ignition… | 汽车停在里面 钥匙插在发动机上 |
[37:46] | if the garage hasn’t closed itself already. | 如果车库自己不会关上的话 |
[37:49] | That’s certainly going to freak him out when he gets back from work. | 他下班回来肯定会吓一跳的 |
[37:52] | I’d expect some angry phone calls tonight. | 我期待着今晚接到怒气冲冲的电话了 |
[37:56] | I guess he heard you. | 我想他听到你的话了 |
[38:01] | Hello? | 你好 |
[38:02] | Allison,what the hell’s going on? | Allison 出了什么事 |
[38:04] | What do you mean? What are you talking about? | 你什么意思 在说什么呢 |
[38:06] | The guy I told you about came by the house to see the car today. | 我告诉你今天会有人来家里看车 |
[38:09] | He couldn’t find anything. He couldn’t find you. | 他啥都没找到 连你都没找到 |
[38:13] | Oh,my God. I’m so sorry,Joe. | 上帝 对不起 Joe |
[38:16] | I don’t even know… how to begin. | 我甚至都不知道…怎么开始解释 |
[38:20] | Well,it doesn’t matter now. He’s never coming back. | 没有关系 反正他也不会再来了 |
[38:24] | Hey,when you coming home? When can I come pick you up? | 你什么时候回家 我什么时候去接你? |
[38:27] | When the time comes, I’ll probably just take a cab. | 差不多了我自己打车回去 |
[38:30] | It might not be until really late. | 不会太晚的 |
[38:32] | We got word the patent guys might call tonight. | 我们接到通知 说今晚 专利局会打电话来 |
[38:35] | She’s got a,um, she’s got a date and I’m… | 她有约会 而我… |
[38:39] | since I’m the minority partner, I’ve got to sit and baby-sit the phones. | 我是合伙人 所以我得守在电话旁 |
[38:43] | I don’t get it. Why do they have to call in the middle of the night? | 我不明白 他们为什么 要在大半夜打电话来 |
[38:46] | Why can’t they call your cell? | 为什么不直接打你手机 |
[38:47] | Allison,I don’t know. It’s Eastern Europe. There’s a time difference. | Allison 我不知道 那里是东欧 有时差 |
[38:51] | I don’t know why she didn’t give them my cell,but she didn’t. | 我不知道为什么她不把我手机告诉他们 但她就没有 |
[38:54] | Look,I’ve got to go now. | 听着 我要挂了 |
[38:56] | I’m sorry about the car. | 车的事我很抱歉 |
[38:58] | Oh,we’ll figure it out. | 我们会解决的 |
[39:05] | Thanks for the ride,Lee. Thanks for everything. | 谢谢载我回来 Lee 感谢你做的一切 |
[39:08] | Hey,you know what? | 嘿 知道吗 |
[39:11] | You need someone to pick up the SUV from Carmer,right? It’s still yours. | 你需要人从Carmer那取回SUV 毕竟还是你们的车 |
[39:16] | Maybe I’ll drop by Carmer’s tonight, drive over there with another officer. | 也许今晚我能顺道拜访下Carmer 和另一位警探一起过去 |
[39:20] | Say we’re there to pick up the car. | 说我们过去取车 |
[39:21] | Use it as an excuse to go through the garage. | 用这个借口进车库 |
[39:24] | You get your car back. Maybe I get some evidence. | 你就能拿到你的车 也许我能拿到我的证据 |
[39:26] | Oh,my God, that would be amazing. | 上帝 那样太好了 |
[39:31] | Power. | 能量 |
[39:32] | It takes many forms, revealing itself in many ways. | 拥有多种形式 以各种方式展现出来 |
[39:36] | “At the bottom of a hill lived Jack and his mother. | “在山脚下Jack和他妈妈住在一起” |
[39:40] | “And by the side of their little cottage, Jack had planted a very large bean.” | “在他们的农舍旁 Jack种了 一颗非常巨大的豌豆” |
[39:46] | Is this Jack and the Beanstalk? | 这是Jack和豌豆的故事吗 |
[39:48] | That’s a boy story,Mom. You can’t read a boy story. | 这是男孩的故事 妈妈 你不能讲男孩的故事 |
[39:51] | – Dad’s got to read that. – Yeah,that’s a boy story. | – 得让老爹来讲 – 没错 是男孩的故事 |
[39:55] | The idea that a waterfall a thousand miles away | 几千里以外的瀑布 |
[39:57] | makes it possible for me to turn on a lamp seems like magic. | 造就了明亮的台灯 就像是魔法 |
[40:02] | That I can fill a bathtub with hot water in the middle of the night | 也造就了大半夜我可以将浴盆放满热水 |
[40:05] | makes no logical sense,either. | 没有任何逻辑性可言 |
[40:08] | Electricity,serendipity… | 电力 意外的东西… |
[40:11] | they both surround us, both doing their work silently, invisibly. | 它们都在我们周围 安静而无形地工作 |
[40:21] | Lee? | |
[40:23] | You hear something? | 听到什么了吗 |
[40:35] | Hello? | 你好? |
[40:36] | You love me? | 你爱我吗 |
[40:38] | Of course I love you. | 我当然爱你啦 |
[40:42] | Did you get your call? Are you coming home? | 接到电话了没 要回家了吗 |
[40:45] | No,no,and yes. | 还没还没 是的 |
[40:47] | I got another call. I found a buyer for the SUV. | 我接到了另一通电话 我为SUV找到买家了 |
[40:50] | You’re kidding? | 开玩笑吗 |
[40:51] | it turns out that mechanic is serious about how much he loves Carmer’s death-mobile. | 结果那个机械师非常喜欢Carmer的车 |
[40:57] | He wants to buy it. | 他想买下来 |
[40:59] | And he’s willing to pay us $500 more than we paid Carmer, | 他愿意比我们从Carmer手里买时 再多付500美金 |
[41:02] | which is a good thing because I think we’re going to need it. | 这可是件好事 因为我想我们正需要 |
[41:04] | What do you mean? What for? | 你什么意思 要来干什么 |
[41:07] | He thinks I’m nuts and I think I’m nuts, but I told him to go ahead and fix your old car. | 他想我是疯了 我想我也疯了 但我告诉他去修好你的旧车 |
[41:12] | Joe,that is so exciting! That is fantastic! | Joe这实在太好了 简直棒极了 |
[41:16] | Honey,hold on a second. I’m getting another call. | 宝贝等一下 我有电话进来 |
[41:20] | Hello? | 你好 |
[41:21] | Allison,it’s Lee. You sitting down? | Allison 是Lee 你坐稳了吗 |
[41:24] | Well,kind of. | 算是吧 |
[41:26] | He’s dead,Allison. | 他死了 Allison |
[41:28] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么? |
[41:30] | Tim Carmer,he died from carbon monoxide poisoning. | Tim Carmer 他死于一氧化碳中毒 |
[41:34] | When we got here,we noticed the garage door was down, locked up tight as a drum. | 当我们赶到的时候 发现车库大门紧闭 |
[41:38] | You could hear the SUV running in there. | 能听到SUV在里面发动的声音 |
[41:41] | Oh,my God. | 上帝 |
[41:44] | I just kept thinking about that story you told me this afternoon, and wondering… | 我一直在想今天下午你告诉我的事 |
[41:49] | was this something he did to himself? | 不知他是自杀 |
[41:52] | Or you think maybe he,uh… It’s crazy,right? | 还是…真是疯狂 对吧 |
[42:02] | Hey,Al,you still there? | 嘿 Al 你还在吗 |
[42:10] | It’s okay. I think… I think I lost her. | 没关系 我想…她挂掉了 |
[42:14] | I thought you were out with the boyfriend. | 我以为你和男朋友出去了 |
[42:17] | Best-laid plans… | 精心计划的一切… |
[42:19] | Or not laid,as the case may be. | 没有如预期 也许就像我们的申请 |