时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Previously on Medium: | |
[00:02] | Who’s that? | 这位是? |
[00:02] | *******The John D. Rockefeller of solar energy. | 是太阳能领域的洛克菲勒 |
[00:06] | It’s from Meghan. | 这是Meghan送的 |
[00:07] | What is she doing, buying you a robe? | 她是什么意思 给你买一件睡袍? |
[00:08] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[00:09] | There’s nothing going on! | 什么都没发生! |
[00:11] | The other night,I’m working in my office. | 某天晚上 我一个人在办公室 |
[00:12] | She walks in, she’s all drunk off her ass… | 她进来了 喝得醉醺醺的… |
[00:14] | I know! I already dreamt it! I saw it all! | 我知道!我已经梦到了! 我都见到了! |
[00:18] | You did? Then why didn’t you tell me? | 你知道? 那你怎么不跟我说? |
[00:19] | No! That is not the question. | 不! 问题不是这个! |
[00:22] | The question is, why didn’t you tell me? | 问题是你为什么不告诉我? |
[00:27] | I’m going to go in there in the morning. I’m going to tell her there’s no company. | 我明天一早就去告诉她 没什么公司了 |
[00:34] | Are you insane? | 你疯了吗? |
[00:38] | this is going to work. | 现在情况是这样的 |
[00:39] | You’re going to give me my idea back. | 你把我的创意还给我 |
[00:41] | We’re going to close down this business. | 我们把这家公司关了 |
[00:43] | Do you understand? | 你明白没? |
[00:45] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[01:37] | Medium Season04 Episode16 Drowned World | 众志成城 抗震救灾 为逝者默哀 为生者祈祷 |
[02:04] | Manuel. Thank you. | Manuel 谢谢你 |
[02:06] | I appreciate you coming over at this very early hour. | 很感谢你能这么早过来 |
[02:10] | Why all the drama,Tom? It’s 7:00 in the morning. | 干嘛惺惺作态 Tom? 现在才早上7点 |
[02:12] | – I have a campaign to run, a practice to tend to. – No. I know. | – 我得继续我的竞选大计 参加活动 – 不用说了 我知道 |
[02:18] | I have a friend, just discovered he’s got a fairly advanced case of prostate cancer. | 我有一个朋友 刚刚发现自己 罹患了晚期前列腺癌 |
[02:25] | And he asked me if I knew of any attorneys in town who could be trusted to do a bunch of probate work quickly. | 他问我是否认识信得过的律师 能帮他迅速办理一下遗嘱事宜 |
[02:30] | Wants to make sure his,um… | 想保证他的… |
[02:33] | his family’s taken care of. | 他的家人生活得到保障 |
[02:38] | So,how are you going to do it? | 那么 你打算怎么办? |
[02:40] | I don’t know. I mean,I’ve been thinking about that. | 我不知道 我的意思是 我已经想过了 |
[02:45] | I think I just have to tell her and take my chances. | 我想就直接告诉她吧 碰碰运气 |
[02:48] | I think so,too. | 我也是这么想的 |
[02:52] | – Hello? – Hello. | – 喂? – 你好 |
[02:54] | My name’s Charles Winters. | 我叫Charles Winters |
[02:55] | I’m a tax attorney over at Phelps and Kingman. | 我是Phelps和Kingman公司的税务律师 |
[02:57] | I’m looking for Allison Dubois. | 我想找Allison Dubois |
[02:59] | Well,this is Allison Dubois. | 我就是Allison Dubois |
[03:01] | I got your number from Larry Watt. | Larry Watt给了我你的电话号码 |
[03:03] | He indicated that he had hired you on a freelance basis a couple of months back, | 他说他几个月前雇你做了件事儿 |
[03:07] | and I was wondering if I might be able to do the same thing. | 我也想雇你 |
[03:14] | I see you got my text. | 你收到我短信了吧 |
[03:16] | Okay. So what’s all the excitement about? | 没错 干嘛这么高兴? |
[03:22] | Oh,my gosh. It’s the end of the world as we know it. | 噢 偶滴神呀 这个就是传说中的世界末日吧 |
[03:28] | Mr. Winters? This is Mrs. Dubois. | Winters先生? 这是Dubois夫人 |
[03:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[03:32] | thank you for coming in. I’m Charles Winters. Please. | 感谢你能过来 我是Charles Winters 请坐 |
[03:40] | Uh,well,frankly, I’m a little puzzled. | 说实话 我有点迷茫 |
[03:44] | You mentioned on the phone that you were a tax attorney? | 电话里你说你是税务律师? |
[03:48] | The work that I’ve done with Larry Watt and former District Attorney Devalos is,uh… | 我为Larry Watt 和前任地方检察官Devalos做的… |
[03:52] | Almost all of it was of a criminal nature. | 基本上都是关于犯罪的 |
[03:55] | Actually,I’m not interested in hiring you to help me with a professional matter. | 事实上 我雇你来不是让你来 发挥你的犯罪嗅探专长的 |
[03:58] | It’s about my wife. | 是有关我妻子的事 |
[04:01] | Uh,my… house… really. | 嗯 我的… 房子…事实上 |
[04:07] | She thinks it’s haunted. | 她觉得家里闹鬼 |
[04:10] | This is great that you’ve actually got the time to do this. | 你能抽出时间来帮我 真的太好了 |
[04:13] | Kelly is going to be thrilled. She loves this house. | Kelly肯定会很激动的 她很爱这所房子 |
[04:17] | I mean,she’s actually the one who found it. She,um… | 我是说 是她找到这所房子的 她… |
[04:20] | I mean… It actually wasn’t even for sale. | 我的意思是…原来它本来是不卖的 |
[04:24] | Took me days to convince the people that owned it, | 花了我好几天去说服房主 |
[04:26] | and the truth is,we paid too much for it. | 而事实上 我们花了超过它价值的钱买了 |
[04:31] | You must really love your wife. | 你肯定很爱你的妻子 |
[04:34] | I do. Yeah. | 没错 很爱 |
[04:37] | That’s why I can’t stand to see her like this. | 所以我没法看她继续这样下去 |
[04:40] | I’ve got clients all over the Southwest, and when I have to be gone overnight… | 我在西南地区都有客户 当我彻夜不归去出差的时候… |
[04:47] | What? | 有什么问题? |
[04:49] | She hears things. | 她隐约听到怪声 |
[04:52] | What kind of things? | 什么怪声? |
[04:54] | Water. | 水声 |
[04:56] | She hears water… running. | 她听到水声… 流动的水声 |
[04:59] | And then sometimes, she hears crying. | 还有的时候 她会听到哭声 |
[05:03] | A baby crying. | 婴儿的哭声 |
[05:05] | But you never hear it? It never happens when you’re there? | 但是你却从来都没听到? 你在家的时候就没有怪声? |
[05:09] | I’m just hoping that if you say there are no ghosts, there can be no baby… | 我只是希望如果你说房子里面 没有鬼 也没有什么婴儿… |
[05:16] | there can be no water, then… | 没有什么水声 那么… |
[05:20] | there won’t be. | 就真的没有了 |
[05:26] | *****I’m back! | 嘿 合伙人 我回来了! |
[05:32] | Oh,good. You got it. | 哦 太好了 你收到了 |
[05:34] | I was worried when I didn’t hear from you. | 你没联系我我还有点担心呢 |
[05:36] | Does it fit? Of course it fits. It’s a robe. | 合身吗? 当然合身啦 只是个睡袍 |
[05:42] | You know what? | 你知道吗? |
[05:43] | Give me five minutes to settle in, and then come into my office. | 给我五分钟收拾一下自己 然后你来我的办公室一下吧 |
[05:45] | I’ll fill you in on everything. | 我来告诉你我的战绩 |
[05:47] | God,it is good to be back. | 老天 能回来真高兴 |
[05:57] | Why would you send me a $2,200 cashmere robe? | 你干嘛送我件2200块的开司米睡袍? |
[06:02] | I don’t know. I-I just… | 我不知道 我只是… |
[06:04] | I didn’t really want to have to carry it on the plane. | 我只是不想把它带上飞机 |
[06:07] | That’s not what I mean. | 我不是这个意思 |
[06:08] | You know that’s not what I mean. | 你知道我不是这个意思 |
[06:11] | No,I don’t. What do you mean? | 不 我不知道 你是什么意思? |
[06:13] | I mean,it’s a robe. It’s intimate. And that card. | 我的意思是 这是睡袍 这太暧昧了 还有那张卡片 |
[06:19] | What about the card? | 卡片怎么了? |
[06:20] | I thought it was a lovely card. | 我觉得那张卡片很好呀 |
[06:22] | You didn’t like the card? | 你不喜欢那张卡片? |
[06:23] | After the other night? After the promises you made? | 从那天晚上以后? 从你上次许诺以后? |
[06:25] | No,I didn’t like the card. | 不 我不喜欢那张卡片 |
[06:27] | I didn’t like the card. I don’t like the robe. | 我不喜欢那个卡片 我也不喜欢那个睡袍 |
[06:29] | My wife doesn’t like the robe. | 我妻子也不喜欢那个睡袍 |
[06:31] | Whoa,whoa,whoa,wait a second. | 喔 喔 喔 等等 |
[06:33] | Your wife has a problem with the robe? | 你老婆不爽我送的睡袍? |
[06:36] | I think we’re all having a gigantic misunderstanding here. | 我想我们之间的误会很大 |
[06:40] | It’s a robe. It’s cashmere. | 只不过是件睡袍 开司米的 |
[06:42] | It’s a luxury item. | 是件奢侈品 |
[06:44] | It speaks to the fact that I believe you and I are going to make a lot of money together. | 它只是代表我信任你 我会跟你一起发财 |
[06:48] | That’s all it is. | 仅此而已 |
[06:49] | It’s not like I bought you silk underwear. | 又不是我给你买蚕丝的内裤 |
[06:53] | You know what? I need to call your wife. | 知道吗? 我要给你老婆打个电话 |
[06:56] | I need to straighten this out. | 我要澄清一下误会 |
[06:57] | You don’t need to call anyone. You’ve said enough. | 你不用给谁打电话了 你说的够多的了 |
[07:01] | You’ve written enough. You’ve done enough. | 你写的够多的了 做的也够多的了 |
[07:03] | Listen to me,Meghan. I’m done. | 听我说 Meghan 我受够了 |
[07:06] | I’m dissolving the business. I’m taking my marbles. I’m going home. | 我解散这家公司了 我收拾东西马上回家 |
[07:17] | – No. – No what? | – 不 – 不什么? |
[07:20] | No,you are not dissolving the business. | 不 你不能解散这家公司 |
[07:22] | It is not your business to dissolve. | 你也没权解散这公司 |
[07:25] | I own 51% of it. | 我有51%的控股权 |
[07:27] | I own 51% of you. | 我拥有51%的你 |
[07:29] | So,give me the freaking robe. I’ll take it back. | 所以 把那个该死的睡袍给我 我收回还不行嘛 |
[07:31] | I’ll send your wife some flowers, and let’s get back to doing what we know we have to do. | 我再给你老婆送些花 让我们继续我们该做的 |
[07:37] | Excuse me. | 喂 |
[07:39] | Where do you think you’re going? | 你要去哪里? |
[07:42] | Don’t worry. You’ll be hearing from me again. | 别担心 我会联系你的 |
[07:50] | There he is. | 他来了 |
[07:52] | Lynn. | |
[07:54] | Good to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[07:57] | Lee. | |
[07:59] | Okay,enough small talk. | 好吧 客套的话就省了 |
[08:01] | What the hell was going on over there? | 办公室里发生了什么事? |
[08:02] | We saw you cavorting with that weasel. | 我们看见你跟那个老狐狸一起雀跃 |
[08:09] | He’s dying. | 他快死了 |
[08:12] | – Are you serious? – Oh,my God. | – 你说真的? – 天哪 |
[08:15] | Okay. I feel horrible, but you guys were laughing. | 好吧 我也深感不幸 但是你俩是在笑呢 |
[08:17] | You both looked so happy. | 你俩看上去蛮高兴的 |
[08:19] | We’ve known each other a long time. | 我们相识很久了 |
[08:23] | He,the mayor, the governor– | 他 市长还有州长… |
[08:25] | they all want me to step in, finish out my current term. | 他们都想我先回去把之前的任期做完 |
[08:30] | Obviously,Tom’s gonna withdraw his candidacy, and I’ll end up running unopposed. | 显然的 Tom会放弃他的候选资格 我会在没有竞争对手的情况下当选 |
[08:36] | I haven’t even had a chance to call and tell Lily. | 我现在都没来得及打电话告诉Lily |
[08:38] | Well,congratulations… | 那么 恭喜你了… |
[08:40] | – I guess. – Yeah. | – 我猜 – 是啊 |
[08:43] | I know exactly what you mean. | 我知道你是什么意思 |
[08:47] | Do you want to hear something strange? | 想听听怪事不? |
[08:48] | Absolutely. That’s what we’re all starved for around here is something strange. | 那当然 我们俩都等不及要听怪事了 |
[08:52] | He wants to meet with Allison Dubois. | 他想见Allison Dubois |
[08:55] | He said he’d consider it a personal favor if I’d intercede and help smooth things over with her, | 他说他想让我帮他个忙 能不能 帮他说说好话 缓和一下和她的关系 |
[08:59] | get her to meet with him. | 带她来见他一面 |
[09:02] | It usually starts around 10:00, just after I’ve gone to bed, once the house is dark, | 一般来说10点左右开始 我刚上床一会儿 等灯一关 |
[09:06] | and only if I’m alone. | 只当我一个人的时候 |
[09:13] | It goes on for about an hour, and then it stops. | 怪声会持续一个小时左右 然后就消失了 |
[09:18] | I know it’s impossible. | 我知道这是无稽之谈 |
[09:21] | The man Charles hired showed me that there weren’t any water pipes in that wall, | Charles雇了个人打开墙让我 看墙壁里面没有水管 |
[09:24] | so,that’s weird. | 所以 感觉很诡异 |
[09:27] | But,uh,it’s still just the sound of water. | 但是 唔 这只是个水声 |
[09:29] | It doesn’t frighten me that much. | 没怎么吓到我 |
[09:32] | But when the baby cries… | 但是当有婴儿哭泣的时候… |
[09:35] | He sounds so frightened and unhappy. | 他听起来好像是吓坏了 很痛苦 |
[09:45] | Isn’t that tile awful? | 瓷砖是不是很难看? |
[09:47] | I’m sure we’ll never have the money to replace it. | 我想也没钱去换掉这些东西了 |
[09:49] | We’re in so much debt now, and there are so many things we want to do. | 我们已经负载累累了 却有许多未尽的梦想 |
[09:59] | Your house is really beautiful. | 你家真漂亮 |
[10:01] | Very lovely. | 很温馨 |
[10:04] | Uh,so I’m curious. | 我很好奇 |
[10:07] | I think we’re both curious. Any first impressions? | 我想我们俩都很好奇 有没有什么第一印象闪过? |
[10:10] | Anything you want to share? | 你有没有看到什么东西? |
[10:15] | Uh,well, you have a beautiful home. | 唔 你家很漂亮 |
[10:18] | A very lovely home. | 一个很温馨的家 |
[10:21] | Um,other than that, I-I’m sorry to say that I don’t… | 除此之外 我…我很抱歉我没有… |
[10:24] | I don’t see anything. | 我什么也没有看到 |
[10:27] | I don’t sense anything. | 我什么没有感应到 |
[10:30] | You know,of course,it’s the middle of the day. | 你也知道 当然了 现在是正午时分 |
[10:32] | And obviously,you’re not here by yourself,so… | 显然的 你也没有独自一人… |
[10:36] | You know,it doesn’t make you wrong. | 你知道吗 这也不代表你想错了 |
[10:38] | It doesn’t make me right. It’s just a first impression. | 也不代表我是对的 只不过是第一印象罢了 |
[10:43] | I called seven lawyers. | 我找了七名律师 |
[10:46] | I left messages,haven’t heard back from a single one. | 留了言 没有一个人回我 |
[10:48] | Well,that’s okay. I’m loaded. | 没有关系 我有钱 |
[10:51] | I made $300 today, | 今天赚了300块 |
[10:53] | explaining in the nicest way possible to this attorney’s wife that in all likelihood– | 用最委婉的方式为律师妻子解释 |
[10:58] | even though she hears noises in her house– | 尽管她能在房子里听到声音 |
[11:00] | that her house is almost certainly not haunted. | 她家没有闹鬼 |
[11:03] | Well,that probably made her feel better. | 这样她可能会好受些 |
[11:06] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[11:07] | You should have seen the look on her face when I told her. | 你真该看看当我告诉她时 她脸上的表情 |
[11:10] | I’m afraid that all I did was convince her that she’s crazy. | 恐怕我所做的就是让她觉得自己疯了 |
[11:33] | There,there. | 乖 乖 |
[11:37] | it’s all right. Mommy’s got you. | 没事了 妈妈抱着你 |
[11:41] | It’s all right. | 没事了 |
[11:47] | Okay. It’s going to be all right. | 好了 都没事了 |
[11:56] | I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. | 对不起 真的对不起 |
[12:20] | Hello. | 你好 |
[12:24] | Hey,sorry. | 抱歉 |
[12:25] | I tried to get to it before it woke you,but you beat me to it. | 我本想接起来 免得吵醒你 但你抢先一步 |
[12:28] | Was it for me? | 找我的吗? |
[12:29] | No,it was your friendly neighborhood she-devil– Meghan Doyle. | 不 是你友善的邻居 魔鬼Meghan Doyle |
[12:34] | She’s having some papers drawn up. | 她那有些文件要签 |
[12:37] | She wants to show them to me at 11:30. | 她想11点半和我见面 |
[12:40] | Dissolution papers,right? | 契约终止文件吗 |
[12:41] | Papers to end the company? | 终止公司的文件? |
[12:43] | Yeah,I can only assume so. | 我只能这样认为 |
[12:46] | What are you working on so furiously over here? | 你在这干什么呢 |
[12:49] | Well,you’re going to find this hard to believe, but I had a dream last night. | 你可能不相信 但我昨晚做梦了 |
[12:54] | – Sorry to keep you waiting. – That’s okay. | – 抱歉让你们久等 – 没关系 |
[12:58] | I know that I told you yesterday I didn’t see anything in your house | 我知道昨天告诉你们说在你们家 |
[13:02] | and I didn’t feel anything in your house. | 没有看到或感觉到任何东西 |
[13:05] | Well,last night I had a dream and it seemed to take place in your house. | 昨晚我梦到你们房子里发生的事 |
[13:11] | It was a long time ago– 20 years or so. | 大概是20多年前的事 |
[13:15] | So I woke up this morning, and I,I went on the Internet. | 今早我醒来就上网 |
[13:19] | It didn’t take me terribly long to find this. | 没费大工夫就查到这个 |
[13:26] | Oh,my God. | 天啊 |
[13:29] | A little boy died in our house. | 一个小男孩死在我们房子里 |
[13:31] | Drowned by accident. | 发生意外被溺死 |
[13:34] | The version of events I saw last night was somewhat more… violent. | 昨晚我看到的情况更加暴力 |
[13:43] | Jonathan McKenzie. | |
[13:46] | His mother was distracted by the television and he drowned in the bathtub. | 他妈妈只顾着看电视 而他溺死在浴缸里 |
[13:54] | Do you think that’s why I hear what I hear? | 所以我才听到那些声音? |
[13:59] | I can’t answer that. | 我无法解答 |
[14:02] | It may be that you’re a little like me, | 也许是你与我有些相似 |
[14:06] | that you have…sensitivities. | 你很…敏感 |
[14:12] | Sensitive… not crazy. | 是敏感…不是发疯 |
[14:17] | Sensitive. I like that. | 敏感 我喜欢这个字眼 |
[14:20] | If you’ll excuse me for a moment. | 失陪一下 |
[14:26] | Like I said, it took me about ten minutes to come across these stories. | 正如我所说 我只用了10分钟 就查到了这件事 |
[14:30] | Mr. Winters, you’re a lawyer. | Winters先生 你是名律师 |
[14:33] | Surely you were aware of this. | 我肯定你了解这些 |
[14:37] | Not when we bought the house. | 我们买房子的时候可不清楚 |
[14:41] | After she started hearing things,sure, I did some research. | 在她听到声音后 我做了些调查 |
[14:46] | – I found what you found. – And you didn’t tell her? | – 我发现了你所发现的 – 而你却没有告诉她? |
[14:49] | Tell her what? | 告诉她什么? |
[14:51] | That we just sunk our life savings– more than our life savings– | 告诉她我们花光毕生积蓄… 不止是毕生积蓄 |
[14:55] | into a house where someone had an accident? | 买来了一所发生过意外的房子? |
[14:57] | No,I didn’t tell her that. | 不 我不会说那些 |
[15:02] | I don’t believe in ghosts. | 我根本不相信鬼魂 |
[15:05] | I don’t think that our place is really haunted, | 我不认为我们的房子真的闹鬼 |
[15:08] | but I do believe in the power of suggestion, | 但我相信建议的力量 |
[15:12] | and I honestly thought that you would come over, look around, | 坦白讲 我希望你过来看看 |
[15:15] | and say either we were poltergeist-free or chant some mumbo jumbo | 说没有闹鬼 或编个谎话 |
[15:20] | and she would believe that we were. | 来让她相信 |
[15:22] | Well,sorry I let you down. | 抱歉让你失望 |
[15:24] | You have no idea the can of worms that you have just opened. | 你不知道你刚才打开了什么局面 |
[15:28] | She is going to want to move now. | 她现在准备搬走 |
[15:29] | She is going to want to sell and we cannot afford to do that. | 她会想要卖掉房子 而我们根本负担不起那样做 |
[15:31] | You are talking about your wife’s peace of mind. | 你在说的可是你妻子心境的平和 |
[15:33] | Can you really afford not to,Mr. Winters? | 你真的负担不起吗 Winters先生? |
[15:38] | You two have a lot to talk about. | 你们俩可得好好谈谈 |
[15:50] | Boy,you don’t waste any time. | 好家伙 你还真不浪费时间 |
[15:51] | Come in. | 请进 |
[15:55] | is that I’m surrendering all my rights to,to everything,right? | 就是说放弃我的所有权利 对吗 |
[16:01] | It says you’re divesting your 49% ownership in Dubois-Doyle,yes. | 上面写明你放弃Dubois-Doyle 公司49%的股份 |
[16:09] | This wasn’t my idea. | 这不是我的主意 |
[16:11] | This is not something I want. | 我不想这样 |
[16:16] | Wait a second. What’s this? | 等一下 这是什么 |
[16:18] | What’s what? | 什么是什么 |
[16:19] | It says something about a quarter of a million dollars. | 这上提到了25万美金 |
[16:22] | Does this say that I owe you a quarter of a million dollars? | 是说我欠你25万美金吗 |
[16:24] | No. | 不 |
[16:26] | It says upon the tender of your signature– as soon as you sign these papers– | 是说从你签署这些文件时起… |
[16:30] | I’m giving you a quarter of a million dollars. | 我将给你25万美金 |
[16:34] | Why would you do that? | 为什么要那样做 |
[16:39] | I promised you I’d invest $300,000 in your idea,Joe. | 我答应过为你的点子投资30万元 |
[16:44] | Between the office, our expenses,the models, our travel, | 除去办公室 我们的开销 模型和旅费 |
[16:49] | you do the math. | 你自己算 |
[16:51] | A quarter of a million dollars? | 25万美元? |
[16:54] | *******I’ve reread that page of the agreement 16 times. | 没错啊 我把这个协议看了16遍 25万美元 |
[17:03] | And she’s going to give that money to you? | 她要把钱给你? |
[17:04] | To us,yeah. | 是给我们 |
[17:06] | Well,I mean,in return for signing this agreement, in return for signing over everything. | 作为签署这份协议的报答 |
[17:10] | I mean,I don’t get anything until I sign. | 我是说 我签了才有效 |
[17:12] | But you are going to sign it? | 但你会签的吧? |
[17:14] | Of course I am. It’s just… do you think maybe we misjudged her? | 当然啦 只是…你不觉得也许我们错看了她吗 |
[17:18] | What? | 啥? |
[17:19] | Let me think about that a minute. No. | 让俺想一分钟 没觉得 |
[17:22] | She is paying you that money ’cause she’s betting she’s going to make a lot more money down the road. | 她给你那么多钱 因为她知道将来会赚更多的钱 |
[17:27] | Yeah,of course,you’re right. | 当然了 你说得对 |
[17:29] | Which is the other reason I called. | 所以这就是我打电话的另一个原因 |
[17:30] | You want to go out and celebrate tonight? | 今晚你想出去庆祝下不 |
[17:32] | Oh,I would love to, but Devalos just called me and asked me to meet him at Tom Van Dyke’s office at 7:00, | 我很乐意 但Devalos刚打来 要我7点钟在Tom Van Dyke的办公室见面 |
[17:37] | but I-I could call him and try to reschedule. | 但我可以打给他 重新安排时间 |
[17:41] | Don’t you think we should wait till we really have the money? | 你不觉得我们该等确实拿到钱再庆祝吗 |
[17:44] | Hmm,that’s awfully damn adult of you,dear. | 亲爱的 你可真令人讨厌地成熟 |
[17:47] | Sorry,I didn’t mean to be so “awfully damn adult.” | 抱歉哈 我本不想”令人讨厌地成熟”的 |
[17:53] | They gave him his job back. | 他们让他回去工作 |
[17:56] | That’s amazing. | 太棒了 |
[17:58] | Does that mean that you get your job back? | 这就是说你也能回去工作啦? |
[18:00] | As soon as I want. | 我希望越快越好 |
[18:04] | It’s so weird how things work. | 事情发展有点奇怪 |
[18:07] | I mean,you think you know the course of things, how things are going to go. | 你认为自己知道事情的过程和发展 |
[18:12] | Well,you got to feel bad for Van Dyke. | 你为Van Dyke感到遗憾了 |
[18:16] | He wants me to meet with him. Although I’m not sure why. | 他想让我同他见面 尽管我不知道原因 |
[18:20] | So where are we going to go celebrate tomorrow,rich guy? | 那明晚准备去哪里庆祝 暴发户 |
[18:24] | What makes you think we’re going to get the money tomorrow? | 你怎么知道我们明晚就能拿到钱呢 |
[18:26] | Well,did you check all the papers? | 你看清楚所有文件了吗 |
[18:28] | Yeah,only about a hundred times. | 恩 看了快100次了 |
[18:30] | Does your right hand work,yeah? | 那你的右手还能使吗 |
[18:35] | So where are we going to celebrate tomorrow? | 那么明晚我们上哪庆祝? |
[18:38] | Tell me again why we got to wait till tomorrow. | 为什么非得等到明天呢 |
[18:49] | Hello. | 你好 |
[18:50] | Allison,it’s Lee.Sorry to call so late, | Allison 我是Lee 抱歉这么晚打给你 |
[18:52] | but I was summoned over here to a house on Fremont Lane. | 但我被召到Fremont街的一所房子里 |
[18:55] | Apparently,you know these people. I was talking to the husband. He mentioned your name. | 显然你认得这些人 我和丈夫谈了下 他提到了你 |
[18:59] | Wait,I was half asleep. | 等下 我还迷迷糊糊 |
[19:02] | Where are you? What’s going on? | 你在哪? 什么事? |
[19:03] | The Winters’ home– Charles and Kelly Winters. | 在Winters家 Charles和Kelly Winters |
[19:07] | About an hour and a half ago, Kelly Winters swallowed a bottle of sleeping pills, | 大约一个半小时前 Kelly Winters吞下一整瓶安眠药 |
[19:11] | ******* | 躺在浴缸中 自杀身亡 |
[19:16] | YOUNG BRIDE TAKES OWN LIFE IN CURSED HOUSE | “年轻新娘在被诅咒的房中自杀” |
[19:20] | Kids are safely ensconced in school, | 孩子们都安全的到了学校 |
[19:23] | and I just got off the phone with Meghan Doyle. | 我刚挂断Meghan Doyle的电话 |
[19:25] | She wants to sign the papers today at The Belmont. | 她今天想在Belmont签署文件 |
[19:32] | This was in with the mail. | 这个和信件放在一起 |
[19:35] | Somebody must have just put it in the mailbox. | 一定是有人塞到信箱中的 |
[19:43] | Been waiting an hour and 20 minutes. | 已经等了1小时20分钟了 |
[19:45] | – What the hell do you think is taking ’em so long? – Dad… | – 你想究竟为什么要这么久? – 爸爸… |
[19:47] | You sure you don’t want a lawyer? | 你确定不想找个律师吗 |
[19:48] | Because I know I can get your mother to pay for a lawyer. | 因为我能让你妈妈花钱请个律师 |
[19:50] | I don’t need a lawyer. They just want to ask me some questions. | 我不需要律师 他们只是问我几个问题 |
[19:54] | Mr. Winters. | Winters先生 |
[19:57] | – This your attorney? – I’m Sam Winters. I’m Charles’ father. | – 这位是你的律师吗 – 我是Sam Winters 是Charles的父亲 |
[19:59] | I’m down here helping my son with the funeral. | 我来这里帮助我儿子处理葬礼事宜 |
[20:01] | Well,it’s nice to meet you,sir, but I’m going to need you to wait outside here | 很高兴见到你 先生 但当我们对你儿子问话时 |
[20:04] | while we talk to your son. | 你得在外面等着 |
[20:07] | She said she wouldn’t live in a house where a child had died. | 她说她不能住在有小孩死掉的房子里 |
[20:12] | She couldn’t bear to hear him cry anymore. | 她再无法忍受他的哭声 |
[20:15] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[20:16] | Why not just put the house on the market, find another place to live? | 为什么不卖掉房子 再找一个新的地方居住呢 |
[20:19] | I know. That’s,that’s what Kelly wanted to do, but it’s not that easy. | 我明白 Kelly也想这样 但没那么容易 |
[20:24] | We overpaid. | 我们负债过高 |
[20:26] | The market is down. | 市场低迷 |
[20:28] | I just… I honestly… I couldn’t… | 坦白讲 我不能… |
[20:31] | see how that it was possible or, | 明白怎么可能 |
[20:34] | or really why it was even necessary, | 或为什么非得这样做 |
[20:39] | and we had a really big fight about it. | 为此我们大吵一架 |
[20:42] | So she went on a drive. | 然后她开车出门 |
[20:45] | What’d you do while she was gone? | 她离开的时候你在做什么 |
[20:46] | I had a couple of scotches and fell asleep on the couch. | 我喝了几杯苏格兰酒 然后就在沙发上睡着了 |
[20:53] | Then when I woke up, | 当我醒过来 |
[20:56] | I could hear the sound of water, an-and I-I thought it was a joke. | 听见了水声 我以为是在开玩笑 |
[21:04] | When I walked into the bathroom,I… | 当我走进浴室… |
[21:08] | She was so still. She… | 她已经僵硬了 她… |
[21:13] | I loved her so much. | 我那么爱她 |
[21:19] | Mr. Winters,while you were sitting out there waiting for us, | Winters先生 当你在外面等待的时候 |
[21:21] | I went ahead and got a warrant to search your home. | 我取得搜查令 前去搜查了你的家 |
[21:24] | We looked in the attic above the bedroom and found this. | 我们在卧室上方的阁楼里发现了这个 |
[21:28] | What is that? | 那是什么 |
[21:29] | It’s a white noise machine. | 是白色造声机 |
[21:31] | It helps people fall asleep. | 能帮助人们入睡 |
[21:32] | It makes sounds like a babbling brook or an ocean. | 能制造出小溪或大海的声音 |
[21:35] | Even has a convenient timer on the back, | 在背面甚至设有定时器 |
[21:36] | so if you were going out of town you could set it to go off in the middle of the night. | 所以就算你离城 也能设定好让它大半夜出声 |
[21:41] | Mr. Winters, could you take a look at this and tell me if you recognize the handwriting. | Winters先生 你看看这个 是否认得出这个笔迹 |
[21:45] | What is this? | 这是什么? |
[21:49] | This is Kelly’s handwriting. Where did you get this? | 这是Kelly的笔迹 你们从哪儿搞到的? |
[21:51] | I found it in my mailbox this morning. | 今天早上我在我的信箱里发现的 |
[21:53] | I’m guessing Kelly left it there last night when she went for that drive. | 我猜是Kelly昨晚出门的时候放在里面的 |
[21:57] | The letter’s pretty clear,Mr. Winters. | 这封信写的很清楚了 Winters先生 |
[21:59] | Your wife believed you meant to do her harm. | 你妻子觉得你要对她不利 |
[22:02] | What? | 什么? |
[22:05] | She writes if anything happens to her, anything at all, we should look very closely at you. | 她说如果她发生了什么 不管是什么事 我们都要仔细的查查你 |
[22:10] | In fact, she specifically says that she’s not suicidal. | 事实上 她特别指出自己不会自杀 |
[22:13] | What-what-what are… what are you saying? | 什-什-什么… 你说什么? |
[22:16] | I don’t… | 我不能… |
[22:17] | believe that you’re saying that I murdered my wife | 我无法相信 你是说我杀了我的妻子 |
[22:22] | and then I made it look like it was a suicide. | 然后布置得像是自杀一样 |
[22:24] | We aren’t saying it,Charles. | 我们没这么说 Charles |
[22:25] | Kelly is. | 是Kelly说的 |
[22:27] | Mr. Winters,you have the right to remain silent. | Winters先生 你有权保持沉默 |
[22:29] | Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. | 你所说的一切将会作为呈堂证供 |
[22:33] | You have the right to an attorney. | 你有权请律师 |
[22:34] | If you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you. | 如果你请不起律师 法院会给你安排一个 |
[22:46] | Thank you,Joe. | 谢谢 Joe |
[22:49] | And thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[22:50] | I’m sorry things didn’t work out the way you hoped, but at least this way it’s not a total loss. | 我很抱歉事情没像你想像的那样发展 但至少这还不是最糟的 |
[22:56] | You know,I have to tell you,I completely regret leaving my idea behind. | 知道吗 我必须告诉你 我非常后悔得放弃我的创意 |
[23:02] | Um,and there were times when we were working together that I,uh, | 呃 和你一起工作的这段时间 我 呃 |
[23:05] | I actually, I literally wanted to kill you. | 我事实上 真的很想杀了你 |
[23:11] | But this is actually extraordinarily decent of you. | 但你这次真是特别慷慨 |
[23:15] | And I know that we’re probably never gonna see each other again, | 而且我知道 我们或许永远不会再见面 |
[23:17] | but I just want you to know that I think that you’re basically a good person,Meghan. | 但我想让你明白 我觉得 你说到底还是个好人 Meghan |
[23:21] | And I too regret that things didn’t work out. | 事情没办成 我很失望 |
[23:24] | Oh,Joe… | 噢 Joe… |
[23:27] | I can’t believe you said that. | 我不敢相信你说了这些 |
[23:29] | I can’t believe you think that. | 不敢相信你这么想 |
[23:31] | I mean I think that you tried your best. | 我是说我觉得你竭尽所能 |
[23:34] | You are a lovely man. | 你真是个可爱的人 |
[23:36] | And I am happy that check makes you so happy. | 而且我也很高兴 这张支票能让你这么开心 |
[23:39] | But,Joe… God,you’re smart, and God,you’re thick. | 但是 Joe… 上帝啊 你很聪明 而且 上帝啊 你很固执 |
[23:45] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[23:53] | Who is that? | 那是谁? |
[23:54] | That’s my smart,but thick. | 那是我聪明又固执的另一半 |
[23:57] | That’s my husband. He’s early. | 那是我丈夫 他早到了 |
[24:00] | Your husband? | 你丈夫? |
[24:06] | Does he know about your boyfriend? | 他知道你男朋友的事吗? |
[24:08] | Does he know what you tried with me? | 他知道你勾引我的事吗? |
[24:10] | Joe. | |
[24:13] | There was no boyfriend. There was never a boyfriend. | 没有男朋友 从来都没有这个男朋友 |
[24:15] | And don’t hate me… | 别恨我… |
[24:17] | but there were no patent problems in Eastern Europe either. | 而且在东欧也没有专利申请问题 |
[24:21] | While you were sitting watching the phone at the office, | 当你坐在办公室里盯着电话的时候 |
[24:24] | I was at home watching DVDs with my husband. | 我在家里和我丈夫一起看DVD |
[24:28] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[24:31] | I needed to make you uncomfortable. | 我需要让你不舒服 |
[24:33] | I needed to make you want to sell me your half of the business. | 我得让你愿意把你的那一半生意卖给我 |
[24:36] | And now you have. And now you’re happy. And now I’m happy. | 现在你卖给我了 而且现在你开心了 我也很开心 |
[24:40] | It’s how it had to be. | 所以事情必须这样 |
[24:42] | We could have never worked together. Not long-term. | 我们不可能一起工作 至少不能长期一起工作 |
[24:45] | I mean… you’re smart. And I’m smart. | 我的意思是… 你很聪明 而我也很聪明 |
[24:49] | We’re just different kinds of smart. | 我们是两种不同类型的聪明 |
[24:53] | Order a drink,Joe. | 要杯喝的吧 Joe |
[24:55] | Go ahead. Celebrate. I have a tab here. | 继续 庆祝 记在我帐上 |
[24:59] | Order whatever you like. | 随便点 |
[25:03] | So I run to the bank. And thank God the check cleared. | 所以我跑去了银行 谢天谢地 支票能兑现 |
[25:06] | But I can’t help it. My head is spinning. | 但我无法控制自己 我的头很晕 |
[25:08] | And I’m starting to feel like the biggest fool on the planet. | 我开始觉得自己像是地球上最傻的傻瓜 |
[25:11] | I think some of this might be my fault. | 我想可能一部分是我的错 |
[25:13] | I think maybe you sensed my insecurities. | 或许你感觉到了我的不安全感 |
[25:15] | – I think maybe she sensed my insecurities. – No. No. No,it had nothing to do with you. | – 或许她感觉到了我的不安全感 – 不 不 不 这和你毫无关系 |
[25:18] | She had a plan. She had a plan from the beginning. | 她是有计划的 她从一开始就是有计划的 |
[25:21] | So now,all I’m thinking of is that she was in Albuquerque meeting for two days with that Terry Cavanaugh. | 所以现在 我能想到的就是她在Albuquerque 和Terry Cavanaugh会谈了两天 |
[25:26] | And she probably sold him my idea for ten times what she paid me. | 而且她或许以给我的十倍价格 把我的创意卖给了他 |
[25:30] | Oh,Joe. | 噢 Joe |
[25:31] | So I go home and I start calling Stratosphere Aeronautics, | 所以我回家 给尖端航空打电话 |
[25:34] | and I’m asking to speak to this Terry Cavanaugh guy. | 我要求跟Terry Cavanaugh通话 |
[25:36] | And of course they don’t connect me. | 毫无疑问他们不理睬我 |
[25:37] | And then it hits me. | 然后 我突然有了这个想法 |
[25:39] | I mean I just got paid a quarter of a million dollars for my first independent invention. | 我是说我才因为我的第一个独立发明 而获得了25万美元 |
[25:44] | And I only had the damn idea a whole two months ago. | 而这个思想只是我两个月前才想到的 |
[25:48] | And now we’re sitting on more money than we’ve ever had in our entire lives. | 而现在我们坐拥过去一生都赚不到的钱 |
[25:52] | And I know we’re not set. | 而且我还知道我们不会固步不前 |
[25:53] | I mean,I know I still got to go out there and get a job. | 我还会出去找个工作 |
[25:56] | But,I mean,it sure beats working at the car wash. | 但 我是说 当然不是去做洗车的活 |
[25:59] | So you ready to go out and celebrate? | 所以你准备好出去庆祝一下了吗? |
[26:01] | Yes,I am. | 是的 准备好了 |
[26:23] | Is that you,baby? | 是你吗 宝贝? |
[26:26] | Are you hiding in there? | 你躲在那儿吗? |
[26:31] | It’s only Mama. | 只有妈妈在 |
[26:34] | Don’t be frightened. | 不要害怕 |
[26:36] | Baby? | 宝贝? |
[26:39] | No! Mommy,please! | 不! 妈妈 别! |
[26:42] | Don’t do this! Please! Don’t do this! | 别这样! 求你了! 别这样! |
[26:46] | I’ll do anything you want. | 我会按你说的做的 |
[26:49] | There is nothing to do! Do you understand? | 没什么要你做的! 明白吗? |
[26:53] | It is over for all of us. | 对我们所有人而且都结束了 |
[26:58] | Not now. Go away! | 不是现在 走开! |
[26:59] | – Daddy!Daddy,help me.Please,Daddy! – Kelly! | – 爸爸! 爸爸 救我 求你了 爸爸! |
[27:02] | Come back here! Kelly! | 回来! Kelly! |
[27:07] | Okay,so what you’re telling me is a little girl | 好吧 你想说什么 一个小女孩 |
[27:10] | who lived in the Winters’ house 20 years ago… | 住在Winters房子里 20年之前… |
[27:13] | Kelly McKenzie. | |
[27:14] | Kelly McKenzie has the same first name as Charles Winters’ late wife. | 和Charles Winters的前妻重名 |
[27:21] | Sorry,what does that prove? | 抱歉 这证明了什么? |
[27:22] | It doesn’t prove anything, but it is a fact. | 这不能证明任何事情 但这是事实 |
[27:25] | Now,what if they’re the same person? | 如果她们是同一个人怎么办? |
[27:28] | It should be easy enough to check if Charles’s late wife’s maiden is McKenzie. | 很容易查到Charles的前妻 婚前是不是姓Mckenzie |
[27:31] | But it isn’t. I mean, at least not according to the death certificate. | 不行 我是说 至少不能从死亡证明书上查 |
[27:34] | But maybe she changed it. | 或许她改过了 |
[27:36] | Okay,I’ll play. | 好的 我顺着你的思路 |
[27:38] | Let’s pretend she changed it. | 我们假设她改过名字 |
[27:39] | I still don’t see where we’re going. | 我还是不明白我们接下来能做什么 |
[27:41] | Well,I’m not 100% sure on this either, | 我对此也不是100%的肯定 |
[27:44] | but I keep dreaming about the death of this little McKenzie boy. | 但我一直梦到Mckenzie小男孩的死亡 |
[27:47] | And the version that I see, his death is no accident. | 而且我看到的他的死亡版本不是意外 |
[27:50] | His mother drowns him on purpose. | 是他妈妈故意溺死他的 |
[27:52] | And there’s a little girl there, a little girl named Kelly. | 而且那儿有一个小女孩 一个叫Kelly的小女孩 |
[27:55] | And she sees it all. | 而且她看到了一切 |
[27:58] | Well,I must be dreaming this for a reason. | 我梦到这些肯定是有原因的 |
[28:05] | Hello? | 喂? |
[28:06] | This is Joe Dubois. | 我是Joe Dubois |
[28:09] | Terry Cavanaugh? | |
[28:13] | It’s you. | 是你 |
[28:16] | They said it was going to be someone from the district attorney’s office. | 他们说是地区检察官办公室的人 |
[28:19] | As of today I’m with the district attorney’s office. | 现在我为地区检察官办公室工作 |
[28:36] | You gotta laugh. | 这还真好笑 |
[28:38] | I hired you to help calm my wife down and now the city’s hired you to help put me away. | 我雇你让我妻子平静下来 现在政府雇你丢我进监狱 |
[28:43] | I’m not an attorney,Charles. | 我不是律师 Charles |
[28:46] | The city’s hired me to help them figure out what really happened, | 政府雇我弄清到底是怎么回事 |
[28:49] | which is why I wanted to talk to you. | 所以我想和你谈谈 |
[28:53] | I have some… some hunches. Some ideas. | 我有一些… 一些预感 一些想法 |
[28:56] | But without knowing more about Kelly… | 但是如果对Kelly不够了解的话 |
[28:58] | they really don’t make a lot of sense. | 所有的这些就没什么价值了 |
[29:00] | Well,you better not ask me. | 你最好不要来问我 |
[29:01] | Because,uh,when it comes to Kelly, I don’t think that I’m really the expert I thought I was. | 因为 呃 说到Kelly 我觉得 我并不是像我想象的那么了解她 |
[29:10] | You know,I loved her… | 你知道 我爱她… |
[29:13] | more than anyone or anything I have ever loved. | 超越了我曾爱过的一切 |
[29:19] | That… that… that letter, it makes no sense to me. | 那… 那… 那封信 我没法理解 |
[29:27] | According to Kelly’s death certificate, it says that her maiden name is Anderson, | 从Kelly的死亡证明书看来 她婚前姓Anderson |
[29:31] | that she was born in California. | 她出生在加利福尼亚 |
[29:33] | Do you have any reason to suspect otherwise? | 你对此有任何怀疑吗? |
[29:37] | What are you talking about? | 你的话是什么意思? |
[29:39] | I don’t know. Do you know of any brothers or sisters? | 我不知道 你认识她的兄弟或者姐妹吗? |
[29:41] | Have you ever met anyone from her family? | 你见过她的家人吗? |
[29:43] | Her father? Her mother? | 她爸爸? 她妈妈? |
[29:45] | No. No,there was no one else to meet. | 没有 没见过任何人 |
[29:49] | Growing up she said it was just her and her crazy mother. | 她说她跟着她的疯狂的母亲长大的 |
[29:53] | Her mother’s dead? | 她妈妈死了? |
[29:55] | Before I came along. | 在我和她一起之前 |
[29:57] | And she referred to her as “crazy”? | 她用”疯狂”来形容她? |
[30:01] | Yeah. We had bad parenting in common. | 是的 我们都有很糟糕的双亲 |
[30:03] | Two crazy mothers. Two crappy fathers. | 两个疯狂的母亲 两个没用的爸爸 |
[30:06] | Her dad was never around. | 她爸爸从不出现 |
[30:07] | My dad was practically a lap dog because my mother had all the money. | 我爸爸实际上是一只哈巴狗 因为所有的钱都在我妈妈手里 |
[30:13] | I guess you could say that we bonded over that. | 我想可以说这是我们俩之间的共同点 |
[30:17] | And the two of you met how? | 你们俩是怎么认识的? |
[30:21] | Uh,she chose me. | 呃 是她选择了我 |
[30:24] | It was,uh, like a movie. | 那 呃 就像电影 |
[30:28] | The prettiest girl in the bar just walks up and starts talking to me. | 酒吧里最可爱的女孩走了过来 开始和我聊天 |
[30:34] | Me. | 和我 |
[30:38] | Oh,sorry to interrupt,Miss, but I’d ask you not to continue questioning my son | 噢 很抱歉打断你 女士 但我想让你别再向我儿子提问了 |
[30:43] | until he has a chance to confer with his attorney here,Mr. Beverly. | 让他先和他的这位律师谈谈 Beverly先生 |
[30:47] | Mr. Beverly, my son,Charles. | Beverly先生 这是我儿子Charles |
[30:49] | Charles. | |
[30:50] | Have you out of here before you know it. | 会立刻把你弄出去的 |
[30:52] | I see Mom finally came through,huh? | 看来妈妈最终伸出援手了 |
[30:55] | This is Allison Dubois. | 这位是Allison Dubois |
[30:57] | She’s with the district attorney’s office. | 她在地区检察官办公室工作 |
[30:59] | Allison,my dad and,apparently, my new attorney. | Allison 这是我爸爸 显然 这是我的新律师 |
[31:04] | – Nice to meet you,Mr. Winters. – Ms. Dubois. | – 很高兴见到你 Winters先生 – Dubois女士 |
[31:07] | We’re actually finished here. | 我们事实上也差不多结束了 |
[31:08] | If you gentlemen would like to use this room to chat. | 你们可以在这里谈 |
[31:11] | Great. Thank you. | 很好 谢谢 |
[31:18] | She was an odd girl, you know. | 她是个古怪的女孩 你知道吧 |
[31:21] | I wouldn’t put it past her… | 我不想在她死后说她坏话… |
[31:23] | take her own life, leave a note like that. | 自杀 留下这么一张纸条 |
[31:25] | – Dad! – I’m just saying. | – 爸爸! – 我只是说说 |
[31:28] | You ever meet her? | 你见过她吗? |
[31:30] | Yes. Briefly. | 恩 见过几面 |
[31:32] | Well,then you know. She was an odd girl. | 那你也该知道 她是个古怪的女孩 |
[31:37] | What’s the motive? | 动机是什么呢? |
[31:39] | You know, they didn’t own much of anything other than the enormous debt on that house. | 要知道 他们也没什么财产 有的倒是巨额房贷 |
[31:44] | They didn’t have much life insurance. | 没上过保险 |
[31:47] | Uh,maybe,uh, he hated her? | 那 可能是 他憎恨她? |
[31:49] | No,I don’t get that. | 不 我没得到这个信息 |
[31:50] | I,I never got that from him. | 我 我从未在他身上看到这一点 |
[31:52] | I think he honestly loved her. | 我觉得他是真心爱她的 |
[31:55] | And besides,you have to hate somebody a lot to risk life in prison. | 再说了 你得十二万分地憎恨一个人 才会不惜冒牢狱之灾 |
[31:58] | All right,you win. He loved her. | 好吧 算你赢 他爱她 |
[32:01] | What’s your theory? | 你是怎么想的? |
[32:02] | I don’t have a theory. | 毫无头绪 |
[32:04] | She simply committed suicide. | 她根本是自杀 |
[32:06] | She took a bunch of sleeping pills and let herself to drown to death in the bathtub. | 吞了那么多安眠药 把自己溺死在浴缸里 |
[32:11] | And then wrote a letter implicating her husband? | 然后写封信暗示自己的丈夫杀了她? |
[32:14] | Why? Did she hate him? | 为什么呢? 她恨他? |
[32:15] | No. I didn’t get that either. | 不是 我也没这种感觉 |
[32:17] | None of it makes any sense… | 这都说不通啊.. |
[32:19] | least of all, the dreams that I keep having. | 至少 我一直做的那些梦 |
[32:22] | Hey,you know what you need to do? | 嘿 你知道你该怎么做? |
[32:23] | You need to put it out of your mind and you need to come help me pack. | 你应该暂时不要想这事 过来这里帮我打包行李 |
[32:28] | All right. Well,you met this Terry Cavanaugh,right? | 好 那你见过这个Terry Cavanaugh了吧? |
[32:30] | Is he a suit guy? | 他喜欢穿套装? |
[32:32] | Yeah,he seems like a suit guy. | 恩 看上去像是 |
[32:34] | And you don’t know what this meeting is about? | 然后你不知道这次见面是为了什么? |
[32:37] | I don’t know. They just called. | 我不知道 他们只是打电话过来 |
[32:38] | They said Terry Cavanaugh wanted to meet with me tomorrow, and was I available? | 说Terry Cavanaugh明天想要见我 问我是否有空? |
[32:42] | Um,they said there was going to be a first-class ticket waiting for me at the airport | 他们说已经订好了头等舱的票子 |
[32:46] | and a car to pick me up on the other end. | 到那边之后会有车来接我 |
[32:49] | You think it has something to do with Meghan? | 你觉得这和Meghan有关系么? |
[32:51] | I mean,isn’t he the guy that she said was going to invest all that money in your idea? | 她说的那会个拿钱投资你创意的人 不就是他么? |
[32:54] | Yeah,he certainly is. | 没错 就是他 |
[32:56] | I don’t know.Maybe he needs a good engineer | 谁知道呢 或许他需要一个优秀工程师 |
[32:59] | and heard from Meghan I’m out of work. | 然后听Meghan说 我失业了 |
[33:08] | Not now. Go away! | 不是现在 走开! |
[33:09] | – Daddy!Daddy,help me!Please,Daddy! – Kelly!here! | – 爸爸! 爸爸 帮帮我! 求你了爸爸! – Kelly! 到这来! |
[33:13] | Kelly! | |
[33:21] | Madeleine, what the hell is going on here? | Madeleine 到底发生什么事了? |
[33:30] | Mr. Winters. | Winters先生 |
[33:33] | I’m District Attorney Devalos. | 我是地方检察官 Devalos |
[33:35] | You’ve already met Detective Scanlon, Mrs. Dubois. | 你已经见过Scanlon警官和Dubois夫人了 |
[33:38] | Appreciate you rushing down here. Please,have a seat. | 感谢您百忙中赶来 请先坐下 |
[33:40] | Not at all. I’m glad I could do it. | 别客气 很乐意能帮到你们 |
[33:42] | When you said that there might be some kind of a deal you could offer my son Charles… | 当你们说可以和我儿子Charles 谈个协议时… |
[33:46] | The important thing is, we’re starting to buy into your theory,Mr. Winters: | 重要的是 我们本已相信您的那套理论了Winters先生 |
[33:49] | that she did it to herself, that she left that letter to implicate Charles. | 相信她是自杀 那封信是为了牵连Charles |
[33:56] | Like I said… | 正如我所说… |
[33:58] | she was an odd girl. | 她是个古怪的女孩 |
[33:59] | The key thing is,some new facts have come to light that from our standpoint change everything. | 关键是 我们发现的新事实 促使我们改变了立场 |
[34:03] | Terrific. What have you found out? | 好极了 你们发现了什么? |
[34:05] | SCANLON: First and foremost, your daughter’s maiden name. | 首先 是你女儿的姓 |
[34:08] | It was actually McKenzie before she changed it. | 在她改名之前应该是McKenzie |
[34:11] | Or how about the fact that you are listed as the father on her birth certificate? | 怎么解释她出生证上登记的父亲是你? |
[34:19] | Mr. Winters… | Winters先生… |
[34:21] | your son’s wife was your daughter,wasn’t she? | 你儿子的妻子是你的女儿 是吗? |
[34:30] | Ever since Kelly’s death, we’ve been struggling to find enough physical evidence | 自从Kelly死后 我们一心想要找出客观证据 |
[34:34] | to implicate your son or find a reason why his wife would hate him enough to leave that letter. | 指向你儿子 或找出他妻子恨他到 要在信里诬陷他的原因 |
[34:40] | And frankly,we haven’t come up with either. | 坦白说 这两方面均一无所获 |
[34:43] | And now I know why. | 但现在我知道原因了 |
[34:45] | She didn’t really hate him. | 她其实并不恨他 |
[34:47] | Of course,she didn’t really love him either. | 当然 也谈不上爱他 |
[34:50] | She just knew who he was, your son, | 她只是知道他是谁 你儿子 |
[34:55] | a means to an end…and that end was you. | 有的放矢…而你就是那个”目的” |
[35:01] | You have to understand, when he first brought her home, | 你们要明白 当他第一次带她回家时 |
[35:06] | I didn’t recognize her. | 我没认出她来 |
[35:09] | I hadn’t seen Kelly… | 我很久没见Kelly… |
[35:11] | my Kelly,in 20 years. | 我的Kelly 有20年了 |
[35:14] | But then,when they bought the house on Fremont, | 但后来 他们买了Fremont的房子后 |
[35:18] | and Charles told me that she was hearing a baby crying at night,I… | Charles告诉我 她夜里会听到小孩的哭声时… |
[35:23] | I knew it must be her. | 我才知道肯定是她 |
[35:25] | She really was her mother’s daughter. | 真的有其母必有其女 |
[35:28] | And you think that’s why Madeleine drowned your son? | 你认为Madeleine溺死你儿子 也是这个原因? |
[35:32] | To punish you? | 为了惩罚你? |
[35:35] | Yep. | 是 |
[35:39] | Madeleine was my mistress. | Madeleine是外遇 |
[35:40] | I was already married to Charles’ mother when I met her. | 认识她时 我已经和Charles的母亲结婚了 |
[35:43] | I told her right up front that I would never leave my family. | 我曾当面告诉她我不可能抛下我的家庭 |
[35:48] | I loved my wife. | 我爱我的妻子 |
[35:50] | And when she began to suspect I was being unfaithful, she gave me an ultimatum. | 当她怀疑我的忠诚时 她给我最后通牒 |
[35:56] | So I gave one to Madeleine and I told her it was over. | 我也就给Madeleine下通牒了 我告诉她我们之间完了 |
[36:00] | That night I went to the house. | 那晚我去那个房子 |
[36:02] | I went there to say good-bye to the children and to give Madeleine some money to start over. | 就是为了跟孩子们道别 再给Madeleine一些钱重新来过 |
[36:09] | But when I got there, she had already drowned Johnny. | 但当我到那边时 她已经溺死了Johnny |
[36:14] | Tried to kill Kelly. | 正要杀害Kelly |
[36:17] | So I told Madeleine to call the police and tell them there had been an accident. | 所以我告诉Madeleine去报警 然后告诉他们是场意外 |
[36:20] | By that time,whatever fever had possessed her was gone. | 那时候 一切狂热冲动都过去了 |
[36:26] | She didn’t want to go to prison. | 她不想坐牢 |
[36:28] | She didn’t want to hurt Kelly. | 她不想伤害Kelly |
[36:31] | And she didn’t want anyone to know what she had done. | 她也不想让任何人知道她所做的事 |
[36:34] | For once,we both wanted the same thing. | 就那么一次 我们如此默契 |
[36:39] | I know I should have taken Kelly with me that night. | 我知道那晚我应该把Kelly带走 |
[36:43] | I know that. | 我知道的 |
[36:45] | But that would have been the end of my life with Charles’ mother. | 但我跟Charles的母亲就玩完了 |
[36:50] | The end of everything. | 所有一切都完了 |
[36:53] | Mr. Winters,I’m going to see to it that Charles is released. | Winters先生 Charles不久会被释放 |
[36:58] | I’m not certain that I can actually charge you with a crime at this point, | 现在我也不确定以什么罪控告你 |
[37:01] | but you can be damn sure I’m going to try. | 但我保证我一定会尽全力的 |
[37:05] | In the meantime, you’re going to need to tell your wife and your son the whole truth… | 同时 你要告诉你妻儿全部经过… |
[37:10] | and I suspect that’s as fitting a way as any for your punishment to begin. | 我想这对你来说 就是惩罚的序曲了 |
[37:19] | Thank you. | – 谢谢 – 不客气 |
[37:29] | Thank you for coming, Mr. Dubois. | 谢谢你能来 Dubois先生 |
[37:32] | Very anxious to meet you again. | 很期待与你的再次见面 |
[37:34] | Very anxious to look you in the eye. | 很期待亲眼看到你 |
[37:42] | Sit down. | 请坐 |
[37:45] | You know, I bought your company, bought your invention. | 你知道 我买了你的公司和发明 |
[37:48] | I suspected you might have. | 我猜到你可能这么做 |
[37:50] | I wanted to buy it the day I met you in Phoenix. | 我在凤凰城见到你的那天就想买了 |
[37:53] | She wanted four million. I paid her two. | 她开价四百万 我付了她两百万 |
[37:56] | How much did you end up with? | 你最后得了多少? |
[37:58] | A lot less than that. | 九牛一毛 |
[38:00] | You hate her? | 你恨她么? |
[38:01] | I’m not inviting her over for Thanksgiving. | 我不会邀请她来过感恩节 |
[38:04] | She’s a bottom-feeder, a matchmaker, an agent,a broker. | 她就是个中间人 代理 掮客 |
[38:10] | Got ’em in every business. | 各行各业都有他们的踪影 |
[38:12] | The only thing they’re good at is smelling money. | 他们的特长就是嗅出赚钱机会 |
[38:15] | The day you met her, the day you pitched your idea to that firm she worked for, she called me. | 你见到她那天 跟她当时公司提到你发明的当天 她就电话我了 |
[38:20] | Said “I think I might have something you’d be interested in.” | 她说 “我想我手头上可能有你感兴趣的东西” |
[38:24] | She was right. | 她说得没错 |
[38:26] | Well,good for her. | 恩 对她来说挺好 |
[38:28] | She knew I’d be interested because I’ve spent the last seven years developing a technology | 她知道我会感兴趣 因为过去7年我一直在研发 |
[38:32] | that’s surprisingly similar. | 一项跟这惊人相似的科技 |
[38:35] | She knew I’d be interested because I’d want to make sure yours never made it to market. | 她知道我会感兴趣 因为我要确保你的发明永远无法变成现实 |
[38:38] | She knew I’d pay to kill it. | 她知道我会付钱买断的 |
[38:41] | Sounds like the two of you were meant for each other. | 听上去你俩真是天生一对啊 |
[38:45] | Well,two days ago,I finally looked at what I bought. | 两天前 我终于有时间看了看我买的商品 |
[38:50] | Went through the drawings, went through the specs. | 看了设计图 也看了规格 |
[38:54] | Mr. Dubois, I like yours better than mine. | Dubois先生 相比我的而言 我更喜欢你的计划 |
[38:57] | Well,thank you… I guess. | 那 谢谢… 我猜 |
[39:02] | How’d you like to finish what you started? | 你觉得如果让你继续做下去如何? |
[39:10] | You got a couple minutes? | 你有时间么? |
[39:11] | Maybe. I got to pick Joe up at the airport in about an hour. | 要看的 一小时后我要去机场接Joe |
[39:14] | This won’t take that. | 要不了那么久 |
[39:25] | Mr. Van Dyke. | Van Dyke先生 |
[39:29] | Just,uh,dropped by to say good-bye to some folks. And I’m… | 只是过来和几个伙计道别的 我… |
[39:33] | grateful to have that opportunity with you. | 很感激能有这个机会和你道别 |
[39:37] | I’m so sorry to hear about everything. | 我听到了消息 很难过 |
[39:41] | I know I haven’t been your greatest supporter or your greatest ally around here, | 我知道 我没能做好你的支持者或者好同事 |
[39:45] | and,uh,I have no right to ask for favors. | 我也没权力要求你帮忙 |
[39:51] | And as you well know, I’m not even sure I believe in what it is you claim you’re able to do. | 你也知道的 我都不是很确定 是否相信你声称能做的事情 |
[39:57] | What is it that you need,sir? | 你需要我做什么先生? |
[40:03] | My wife… | 我的妻子… |
[40:05] | my children… | 我的孩子们… |
[40:07] | as you might imagine, they’re having a difficult time with this. | 你能想像 这对他们肯定会很艰难 |
[40:13] | After I’m gone… | 在我去世后… |
[40:18] | When I’m no longer here… | 当我不再在此的时候… |
[40:22] | I don’t know how it works. | 我不知道这一切怎么运作 |
[40:24] | I don’t know what to tell you to do. | 我没法告诉你该怎么做 |
[40:28] | But if what you want is for me to see you… | 但如果你想要我看到你… |
[40:31] | to tell your wife and children that you’re fine… | 帮忙告诉你的妻儿你很好… |
[40:34] | I promise you… | 我保证… |
[40:37] | I will be on the lookout. | 我会做到的 |
[40:44] | You really can read minds,can’t you? | 你真的能阅读人的思想 不是么? |
[40:52] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:56] | Isn’t this fun? | 好玩吧? |
[40:58] | And the later it gets, the funner it is. | 越夜越好玩哦 |
[41:02] | They’re here! They’re here! | 他们回来了! 他们回来了! |
[41:04] | That’s it! It’s 9:30! You guys are supposed to be in bed! | 够了! 已经9点半了! 你们早就该睡觉了! |
[41:19] | I keep thinking it’s this giant cosmic joke, that I’m going to wake up, | 我忍不住觉得这就像个超大玩笑 而我会醒过来 |
[41:23] | the last eight hours never happened at all. | 过去的8个钟头从未发生过 |
[41:26] | And you’re sure we don’t have to move? | 你确定我们不用搬家? |
[41:28] | He said do it in Phoenix. | 他说你就在凤凰城做吧 |
[41:31] | Do it where you live. | 在你生活的地方做 |
[41:33] | Find some space, hire some people, make me some money. | 找个地方 雇几个人 给我赚点钱 |
[41:40] | Hey,should we tell the kids? Should we wake the kids? | 嘿 我们要告诉孩子们么? 要叫醒她们么? |
[41:45] | let’s not. | 不要了吧 |
[41:58] | Hey,Ariel,what’s going on? | 嘿 Ariel 怎么回事嘛 |
[41:59] | I didn’t hear them come in. | 我没听到他们进来的声音啊 |
[42:01] | How are we supposed to get our good-night kisses? | 还要不要给我们晚安吻嘛 |
[42:04] | Yeah. | 就是呀 |
[42:05] | I don’t know what to tell you guys. | 我不知道该怎么跟你们说 |
[42:07] | They’re still in the garage. | 他们还在车库里 |
[42:08] | Well,what do you think they’re doing out there? | 你觉得他们在那做什么? |
[42:10] | – Don’t they know they have kids? – Yeah? | – 他们不知道自己是有孩子的人么? – 就是啊? |
[42:13] | – That’s it. I’m quitting this family. – Yeah! | – 受够了 我不要做这家的人了 – 就是! 明年春天Dubois一家 老地方见 抗震救灾 捐献爱心 |