时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Looks pretty tempting, doesn’t it? | 看上去很诱人 对吧 |
[00:03] | But what if I told you that each one of these | 但如果我告诉你每吃一口 |
[00:05] | delicious little morsels has almost a thousand calories? | 就相当于摄入几乎一千卡路里 |
[00:10] | Would it make you want one any less? | 还会想吃吗 |
[00:12] | Me, neither. And that’s normal. | 我也不会 这很正常 |
[00:21] | We all want things that we know are bad for us. | 我们总会渴求某件对我们有害的东西 |
[00:28] | Everyone has dangerous fascinations and unhealthy fixations. | 人人都有不良嗜好和偏执之处 |
[00:33] | Some of them are a little harder to explain than others. | 其中一些尤其令人费解 |
[00:38] | But most us know how to keep our impulses in check. | 但大部分人都知道如何克制 |
[00:41] | We use willpower to fight off our darker instincts. | 我们用意志力击退不良本能 |
[00:47] | Unfortunately, for others, | 不幸的是 对于某些人 |
[00:50] | willpower just isn’t enough. | 仅靠意志力是不够的 |
[00:54] | The siren call of one’s own obsessions | 执念太深 |
[00:57] | is simply too strong to resist. | 无法抗拒 |
[01:11] | The thing we used to want… | 我们曾经渴求的 |
[01:15] | …becomes the thing we now need. | 变成了必需的 |
[01:19] | Our obsession becomes our compulsion. | 曾经的痴迷变成了自我强迫 |
[01:24] | Until eventually we realize | 最终我们意识到 |
[01:26] | pursuing the one thing we want most in life | 对最渴望之事的追求 |
[01:31] | has left us without much of a life at all. | 使我们的生命所剩无几 |
[01:36] | But in the end, | 然而最终 |
[01:38] | our compulsions are still there. | 我们的自我强迫依旧 |
[01:42] | Even after they’ve pushed us to the brink of death, | 即使它们把我们推向了死亡边缘 |
[01:46] | or guided us | 或引导我们 |
[01:48] | into places of unimaginable horror. | 走向了难以想象的恐怖境界 |
[01:58] | Okay. Don’t be mad. | 好吧 别生气 |
[02:00] | I know, I know they’re for that bake sale at Bridgette’s school, | 我知道这是为Bridgette学校举办的 烘烤销售准备的 |
[02:03] | but what can I say? I couldn’t resist. | 我能说什么呢 它们太诱人了 |
[02:07] | – You want some? – God, no. | – 你要不要来点? – 天那 不要 |
[02:09] | I’m going to bed. | 我要上床睡觉了 |
[02:11] | What? | 怎么了 |
[02:12] | It was a cupcake. | 只是个小蛋糕 |
[02:45] | medium s05e03 | |
[03:03] | Okay. Now you try. | 好 现在你来试试 |
[03:06] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[03:08] | What’s she doing? ???? | 她在干什么 你在指使她干什么 |
[03:10] | I’m not making her do anything. She likes it. | 我没指使她干任何事 她自己喜欢干的 |
[03:13] | Don’t you like it? | 你喜欢对吧 |
[03:15] | Don’t just stand there. You know, fold some more. | 别停下 继续叠 |
[03:18] | Bridgette, that’s your job. | Bridgette 这是你的工作 |
[03:20] | You’re supposed to fold the laundry. That’s why you have an allowance. | 你应该把洗好的衣服叠起来 这是为什么你有零用钱的原因 |
[03:23] | It’s not my job. It’s my responsibility. | 这不是我的工作 是我的责任 |
[03:26] | And I’m keeping that responsibility. I’m just outsourcing, that’s all. | 而我尽责了 只不过是把这个任务外包了 |
[03:30] | It’s no big deal. Everybody’s doing it. | 没什么大不了的 大家都这么做 |
[03:32] | Mom! | 妈妈! |
[03:34] | Sorry. Not Mom. | 我不是妈妈 |
[03:35] | Feel free to continue fighting till she gets here. | 你们妈妈来之前你们可以接着吵 |
[03:38] | Dad, Bridgette’s making Marie do her work folding the laundry. | 爸 Bridgette指使Marie叠衣服 |
[03:41] | Nuh-uh. She asked me how to fold socks. That’s all. | 才不是 她问我怎么叠袜子 |
[03:44] | And underwear. And towels, and how to put them in drawers. | 内衣 毛巾 怎么把它们放到橱子里 |
[03:48] | You are such a liar. | 骗人精 |
[03:50] | Okay, well, maybe she didn’t ask about the drawers. | 好吧 也许她没问怎么放到橱子里 |
[03:53] | Hey, Marie, did you ask Bridgette any of that? | Marie 你问过Bridgette这些吗? |
[03:58] | You are never moving out of that bottom bunk! | 你会永远睡下铺的! |
[04:00] | Hey, what is all the noise about? Why isn’t anybody eating? | 怎么这么吵 为什么你们都没在吃早饭 |
[04:03] | Why-Why is all this laundry still not folded? | 为什么洗好的衣服都没叠起来 |
[04:06] | And Bridgette, why are your books not in your bag? | Bridgette 为什么你的书没放到书包里 |
[04:11] | – What is this? – I don’t know. | – 这是什么 – 我不知道 |
[04:14] | It’s a week old, and it’s marked urgent. | 这是一周前的 加急 |
[04:16] | Well, then I guess it wasn’t really very urgent, was it? | 那么我想它不是真的那么紧急 对吧 |
[04:19] | Tomorrow’s Parent-Teacher conference has been rescheduled. | 明天的家长会改时间了 |
[04:23] | You’re kidding! I rearranged a meeting so I could make that. | 开什么玩笑 我特地为这个更改了会议时间 |
[04:26] | And I already told Mr. Sacks that I can’t make rehearsal ’cause I have to baby-sit. | 我也告诉Sacks老师我没法参加排练 因为我要照顾妹妹 |
[04:30] | Bridgette! | |
[04:32] | It’s not even 7:00, and I’m already having a bad feeling about today. | 虽然还不到七点 我已经预感到今天很背了 |
[04:35] | You know, I don’t care. Dad’s got to go to work. | 我不管了 你爸爸要去上班了 |
[04:37] | I just got a text. I got to meet Scanlon downtown. | 我刚收到短信 得去市里见Scanlon |
[04:39] | We’re gonna talk about punishment later. | 回来再讨论怎么惩罚你 |
[04:41] | We’ve got to get breakfast going. | 先吃早饭 |
[04:44] | Nice work, doofus. | 傻瓜 自食其果 |
[04:46] | Well, I suppose there’s a bright side to all this. | 好的一方面是 |
[04:49] | We all have a free night. | 我们晚上都没事了 |
[04:51] | Every single one of us all here at the same time. | 大家都在家 |
[04:53] | No meetings, no rehearsal. | 没有会议 没有排练 |
[04:55] | You’re right, Dad! That’s great news! | 说的对 爸爸 这是个好消息 |
[04:58] | It’s not that great. | 等着瞧吧 |
[05:03] | Security guard stumbled across the body. | 保安被尸体绊倒了 |
[05:05] | We’re thinking it happened last night. | 我们认为这是昨晚发生的 |
[05:08] | Looks like they used a baseball bat or a pipe. | 看上去像是被棒球棒或者管子砸的 |
[05:12] | Normally, I’d start by asking his family and friends if he had any enemies. | 通常 我会去询问他的家人或朋友 他有没有敌人 |
[05:16] | Of course, to do that, I’d have to have the first clue who this guy is. | 当然为此 我首先得确定他的身份 |
[05:19] | No wallet? | 没有钱包? |
[05:21] | Actually, it was right there in his pocket. | 事实上 就在他口袋里 |
[05:23] | Only problem is, every piece of ID he’s carrying is fake. | 问题是 他所有证件都是假的 |
[05:26] | Check out his fingers. | 看他的手指 |
[05:30] | No fingerprints. | 没有指纹 |
[05:33] | Who do you think did this? | 你觉得是谁做的 |
[05:35] | I’m guessing since he’s carrying all that fake ID, | 既然他的证件都是假的 |
[05:37] | that his very severe mani is just part of the package. | 他的真实身份无非冰山一角 |
[05:41] | This is a guy who clearly didn’t want anyone to know who he really was, | 这个人不想被任何人认出来 |
[05:45] | – which is why I called you. – Coming through, Detective. | – 所以我给你打电话 – 警官 请过来一下 |
[05:51] | I was hoping maybe you’d see him, | 我希望或许你看到他后 |
[05:52] | and, you know, get some feeling, have some instinct… | 对于他是谁 从哪来 |
[05:55] | …about who-who he guy is, where he came from. | 谁杀的他 |
[05:59] | Who might have done this. | 有些感应 |
[06:17] | Allison, you with me? | Allison 你听到我说的了吗 |
[06:19] | Yeah. Of course. | 听到了 |
[06:21] | If I see anything, I’ll call you. | 如果我看到什么事 就给你打电话 |
[06:26] | Hey, Lee, you see… you see this old microwave over here? | Lee 你看这个旧的微波炉 |
[06:28] | You think it’s okay if I just, you know, | 我想 |
[06:30] | dig it out of the trash, take it home with me? | 把它拿回家里去行吗? |
[06:33] | Tell you what. You help me figure out who, uh, | 你要是帮我查出 |
[06:35] | played percussion on this guy’s noggin, I’ll even buy you a new one. | 谁砸了这个家伙的脑袋 我给你买个新的 |
[06:47] | Mr.Brewer? | Brewer先生 |
[06:50] | What you doing? | 你在干嘛 |
[06:51] | You gunning for my job? | 觊觎我的职位? |
[06:53] | You trying to be an early bird or something? | 想捷足先登? |
[06:56] | Hmm. | |
[06:58] | I don’t like it. Ambition. | 这种野心我可不喜欢 |
[07:01] | Initiative. Makes me nervous. | 这么积极主动让我紧张 |
[07:05] | I-I’m sorry. It won’t happen again. | 抱歉 不会再发生了 |
[07:08] | I couldn’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
[07:10] | I kept thinking about the problem with the contact grid. | 一直在想那个啮合栅板的问题 |
[07:13] | I know we’ve been going around and around this for the past three weeks, | 我知道我们已经研究这个问题三星期了 |
[07:16] | but, uh, you know, suddenly at 3:00 this morning, | 今天早上三点 |
[07:19] | I had a, uh… | 我突然灵光一现 |
[07:25] | This just came to you? | 突然就想到了这个? |
[07:26] | Well, the concept. | 只是个构想 |
[07:28] | I got in here about an hour and a half ago, | 我大概一个半小时前到的 |
[07:29] | and I started working on the engineering. | 开始琢磨制造工艺 |
[07:33] | Well… | |
[07:35] | This-This is amazing. | 这太惊人了 |
[07:39] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[07:40] | Now I’m officially threatened by your intellect. | 因为你的才能 我现在正式感到威胁了 |
[07:45] | Hey, what are you and Debbie doing for dinner tomorrow night? | 明晚你和Debbie有什么晚餐计划吗 |
[07:48] | I mean, are you busy? Do you have plans? Are you…? | 忙吗 有什么事要做吗 |
[07:51] | I’ve been talking to my wife about having you guys over | 一个半月前我就和我妻子说过 |
[07:52] | since you got here, like, a month and a half ago. | 邀请你们来我家做客 |
[07:57] | Hello! | |
[08:02] | Gooey red stuff. What did I miss? Spaghetti? | 甜甜的红色的东西 我错过什么了 通心粉? |
[08:05] | Ketchup for, uh, take-out. | 外卖的番茄酱 |
[08:08] | Okay. Where is everybody? | 好吧 大家在哪 |
[08:09] | Where? It’s, uh, late, Dad. | 在哪?已经很晚了 爸 |
[08:11] | I put Bridgette and Marie down, and, uh, Mom went out to work in the garage. | 我让Bridgette和Marie睡下了 妈妈在车库里工作 |
[08:15] | Work in the garage? | 在车库里工作? |
[08:20] | Al? | |
[08:21] | Back here! | 在这儿 |
[08:23] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[08:24] | Ariel said you were in here. | Ariel说你在这里 |
[08:26] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[08:28] | What are you doing? What are you working on? | 你在干嘛 工作吗? |
[08:31] | I don’t know. You’re gonna.. you’re gonna think it’s silly. | 我也说不清 你可能觉得很傻 |
[08:34] | Looks like you’re trying to take apart an old microwave. | 看上去你在尝试拆了这个旧微波炉 |
[08:36] | That’s exactly what I’m doing. I’m taking apart an old microwave. | 没错 我就是要拆了它 |
[08:40] | You know, I found this thing in the trash at the crime scene this morning, | 我今天早上在犯罪现场看见它 |
[08:42] | and I suddenly got really curious about the way these things work. | 突然间很好奇 这种东西是怎么运转的 |
[08:46] | What do you mean? Just ask me. | 什么意思 你问我就行了 |
[08:47] | They use, uh, radio waves to create a kind of radiation. | 他们用微波放射 |
[08:50] | That creates excitement in the molecules in the food, | 使得食物的分子随之运动 |
[08:52] | and that causes them to heat up, and that makes it cook. | 剧烈运动产生了大量热能 于是食物就熟了 |
[08:53] | You know we have one of these in the kitchen. | 我们厨房里就有个 |
[08:55] | Well, not an old one like this. | 但是和这个老的不一样 |
[08:58] | You know, I just want to look inside, see how it does it. | 我就是想看看它的内部构造 看看它是怎么运转的 |
[09:01] | How you put food inside, it comes out hot, | 如何把放进去的食物加热 |
[09:03] | but then the oven stays cool. Did you eat? | 但微波炉却不会热 你吃饭了吗 |
[09:07] | David and I ordered in. That reminds me. | 我和David叫的外卖 这提醒了我 |
[09:10] | Hey, don’t be mad. | 别生气 |
[09:11] | I invited he and his wife Debbie over tomorrow night for dinner. | 我邀请他和他妻子Debbie 明晚来我们家吃晚餐 |
[09:14] | It’s time, Allison. | 是时候了 Allison |
[09:15] | The guy relocated here with his family almost two months ago. | 他一家人搬来已经快两个月了 |
[09:18] | Yeah, fine. I’ll make a roast. Do they eat meat? | 没问题 我会烤肉 他们吃肉吧? |
[09:21] | Yeah, he sure does. I mean, boy, can he engineer. | 当然 他可是搞工程设计的 |
[09:23] | I mean, what a find. | 怎么会不吃 |
[09:25] | Um, couldn’t you find a less gross-looking microwave? | 你就不能找个 没这么恶心的微波炉? |
[09:29] | I mean, it looks like you can catch a disease from that thing. | 它像是会带来疾病的那种 |
[09:32] | I’ll be in in a minute. | 我很快就回屋 |
[09:34] | All right, fine. | 好吧 |
[09:36] | I’ve been kicked out of bed nicer than that. | 这总比我以前被踢下床好 |
[09:38] | – I’ll see you in a couple of minutes. – See you in a couple of minutes. | – 一会见 – 一会见 |
[10:08] | Do you know that it’s almost 3:00 in the morning? | 你知不知道现在凌晨三点了 |
[10:10] | Hey, hey. | |
[10:12] | Do you have any idea how much heat this thing can generate? | 你知道这个东西会产生多少热量吗 |
[10:14] | Yeah, as a matter of fact, I do. | 事实上 我知道 |
[10:16] | I would say roughly enough to bake a big potato in about seven minutes. | 大概能在7分钟内烤熟个土豆 |
[10:19] | Can we go to bed? | 我们能不能回去睡觉了 |
[10:22] | Allison, you’ve been out here for almost six hours now. | Allison 你已经在这待了六个小时了 |
[10:26] | I don’t know what this fascination is with small appliances, | 不知道你为什么 会这么沉迷于这些 |
[10:30] | but you’ve got a big day tomorrow. We both have big days. | 但是我们明天 还有重要的事情要做 |
[10:32] | We have people coming over for dinner. | 我们请了人来吃晚饭 |
[10:35] | Oh, my God. | 天那 |
[10:37] | What time did you say it was? | 你刚才说几点了 |
[10:38] | 3:00, it’s 3:00 in the morning. | 三点 早上三点 |
[10:41] | I don’t even… | 我简直 |
[10:43] | I don’t even know what to say. | 不知道该说什么 |
[10:45] | I-I just suddenly got so fascinated with that thing, I-I… | 只是突然间对这个东西特别着迷 |
[10:49] | I kind of… I kind of got lost in it. | 忘了时间 |
[10:54] | I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. | 抱歉 十分抱歉 |
[10:58] | But only a single step is the beginning of a new dialogue… | 这只是美国和苏联关系全新开始的 |
[11:02] | between the United States… | 第一步 |
[11:19] | The search continues for Justice Heath Clemens, | 对第12巡回法庭联邦法官 |
[11:22] | a federal judge on the 12th Circuit Court, | Heath Clemens的搜寻工作还在继续 |
[11:23] | who was reported missing yesterday afternoon. | 此人于昨天下午被报告失踪 |
[11:26] | Anyone with information on his whereabouts | 任何人知道此人下落的 |
[11:28] | is urged to contact the authorities immediately. – Arlo! | – 请立即向当局汇报 |
[11:31] | You in there?! | 你在屋里吗 |
[11:34] | Arlo, quit tinkering with that idiot box and come outside. | Arlo 别摆弄那个蠢东西了 快出来 |
[11:39] | I got something I want to show you. | 我想给你看个东西 |
[11:44] | Dad, I just saw this man on the news. | 爸 我刚才在电视上看见这个人了 |
[11:47] | They’re looking for him. | 他们正在找他 |
[11:49] | – His name’s, um… – He doesn’t have a name! No | – 他叫 – 他没有名字! |
[11:54] | he surrendered his right to an identity | 在他向法庭宣誓的那天 |
[11:58] | on the day he was sworn onto that court. | 在他同意成为 |
[12:01] | The day he agreed to become another cog in the machine | 这个有组织的毁灭我们国家一切的 |
[12:04] | that is systematically destroying everything and anything | 机器的一部分的时候 |
[12:07] | that was ever good about this country! | 他就抛弃了自己的身份 |
[12:10] | He’s an extension of them. | 变成了这个机器的延伸 |
[12:12] | A diseased limb. | 一个腐坏的部分 |
[12:16] | You’re a smart boy, Arlo. | Arlo 你是个聪明的孩子 |
[12:18] | You know what a doctor would do with a diseased limb, don’t you? | 你知道医生是 怎么处理腐坏的部分吧 |
[12:22] | Dad, please don’t… | 爸爸 别 |
[12:23] | You want to know what this… robot does with his life? | 你想知道这个机器人 每天在干什么吗 |
[12:28] | Yeah, he sits behind a bench all day | 他坐在办公桌那 |
[12:31] | issuing rulings | 颁发命令 |
[12:33] | that take away the rights o-of free citizens like you and me. | 来剥夺像你和我一样的 自由公民的权利 |
[12:37] | Yeah, he gets paid to harass us, | 他扰乱我们的生活 |
[12:40] | to decide how we get to live our lives. | 决定我们靠什么生存 他还能得到报酬 |
[12:42] | Now, tell me, does that sound like th-the kind of government you want? | 现在 告诉我 这是你想要的政府吗 |
[12:46] | Is that the way you want your country run? | 这是你想要的国家的样子吗 |
[12:48] | Dad, he’s not the government. He’s just a man. | 爸 他不是政府 他只是个人 |
[12:51] | He’s just a man trying to do his job. | 只是个尽责工作的人 |
[12:55] | I’m sorry. Wh-what was that last bit you said? | 什么 你刚才说什么? |
[12:58] | ‘Cause I think you were describing me. | 尽责工作的人是我吧 |
[13:10] | Um, how are we supposed to eat this? | 我们要怎么吃这个 |
[13:14] | – With a fork. – It’s not what I mean. | – 用叉子 – 我不是这意思 |
[13:17] | You forgot the syrup. | 你没给我们糖浆 |
[13:19] | It’s all hard without the syrup. | 没有糖浆怎么吃 |
[13:26] | Ketchup? | 番茄酱? |
[13:30] | All right, knock yourself out and help your sister, too. | 好了 你随意 然后给你妹妹倒些 |
[13:36] | More, more! | 多点 多点 |
[13:37] | All right, all right, I’m giving you more. | 没问题 |
[13:39] | Unh-unh-unh-unh. | |
[13:42] | – How are we doing over there? – Never better. | – 你怎么样 – 很好 |
[13:46] | No urge to take apart the central air? | 不急着去拆了空调? |
[13:49] | Figure out how it is the air comes in so hot, | 看看为什么进去的空气是热的 |
[13:51] | but comes out so cold? | 出来却变成冷的了? |
[13:53] | Is something going on? | 发生了什么事 |
[13:55] | Everything’s fine. I just… | 没事 只不过 |
[13:57] | Mommy didn’t get a lot of sleep last night, | 妈妈昨晚没怎么睡觉 |
[13:58] | and Daddy didn’t get much either. | 爸爸也是 |
[14:01] | But everything’s fine. | 不过一切都好 |
[14:02] | We still okay for tonight? It’s not too late to call it off. | 今晚可以吗 现在取消还不算晚 |
[14:06] | I’ll be fine. | I’ll be fine. 没问题 没问题 |
[14:09] | I got to go down to City Hall, show Scanlon something. | 我去市政厅给Scanlon看些东西 |
[14:12] | Then I’m heading right to the store to go shopping. | 然后就直奔商店购物 |
[14:15] | Hey, girls, | 孩子们 |
[14:17] | when Ariel comes in, can you be sure to tell her | Ariel来的时候 别忘了告诉她 |
[14:18] | that she’s got to clean her room? | 她的房间得清理一下 |
[14:20] | We have company coming tonight. | 我们今晚有客人 |
[14:23] | I will be in the bathroom taking apart the shower. | 我去卫生间把淋浴头拆了 |
[14:27] | I’m just kidding. Just kidding. | 开玩笑呢 开玩笑 |
[14:30] | His name was Heath Clemens. He was a federal judge. | 他是Heath Clemens 联邦法官 |
[14:33] | The police think someone abducted him from his house in Needles, California. | 警方认为他在 加州Needles市的家中被绑架了 |
[14:37] | June of ’85. So, what does any of this have to do with me? | 85年6月 这和我有什么关系 |
[14:39] | Well, did you see the part where it said | 你看到这里了吗 |
[14:41] | they discovered his body a few weeks later in the desert, | 几周后他的尸体在沙漠被发现了 |
[14:43] | and no one was ever arrested for the murder? | 没有找到凶手 |
[14:45] | Yeah, I can read, Allison. | 看到了 我识字 Allison |
[14:46] | Well, the man who killed him, the man I saw slit his throat | 我看到的割开他喉咙杀死他的人 |
[14:49] | was the same man we discovered the other day, | 就是我们在垃圾堆里发现的 |
[14:51] | laying in all that trash– the one with no fingerprints. | 没有指纹的那个人 |
[14:54] | And when you say “saw,” what you really mean was…? | 你说看见是指 |
[14:57] | Dreamt. What I really meant was dreamt. | 梦见 我意思是梦见 |
[14:59] | Don’t… don’t start on me today. I had three hours of sleep last night. | 别找茬 我昨晚才睡了三个小时 |
[15:03] | Okay, easy. | 好的 放松 |
[15:05] | So what have we got? We got a dead guy… no name. | 我们现在有具无名死尸 |
[15:09] | Now, we got another dead guy from a long time ago | 还知道很久以前 |
[15:11] | who you say he killed. | 被他杀死的一个人 |
[15:12] | I guess that might explain | 我想这就是为什么 |
[15:14] | why he burned his own fingertips off. | 他把自己的指纹都烧掉了 |
[15:17] | Needles, California, I guess we could make a few calls | 我想我们可以给 加州Needles市警局打几个电话 |
[15:19] | send them a picture of our friend in the morgue. | 把停尸房里这个家伙的照片发给他们 |
[15:21] | See if anybody recalls him. | 看看有没有人认得他 |
[15:22] | Well, he sounded like one of those, | 他听上去像是那种 |
[15:24] | those rightwing conspiracy nuts | 疯狂的右翼反叛分子 |
[15:26] | who thinks the government is out to get them, | 认为政府企图抓捕他们 |
[15:27] | take away all their personal freedom. | 剥夺他们的自由 |
[15:29] | And he had a son. | 他有个儿子 |
[15:31] | Well, he sounds like a pretty, uh, unique character. | 听上去他挺特别 |
[15:35] | Maybe someone will remember him. | 应该有人会记得他 |
[16:28] | I’m home! | 我回来了 |
[16:32] | Hey… | |
[16:34] | What in God’s…? | 天 这究竟是 |
[16:36] | Did the dishwasher break? What’s going on? | 洗碗机坏了吗 怎么回事 |
[16:39] | Nope, it didn’t break. | 洗碗机没坏 |
[16:43] | Mom insisted she needed some sheet metal screws | 妈妈坚持说 她需要些铁板螺丝 |
[16:45] | and the ones in the back of the dishwasher were perfect. | 洗碗机背面的最合适 |
[16:48] | Needed? Needed for what? | 用来干什么 |
[16:51] | Where is Mom? | 妈妈在哪 |
[16:54] | Where is dinner? People are coming over. | 晚饭呢 有客人要来 |
[16:57] | They’re going to be here any minute. | 应该很快就到了 |
[16:59] | Yeah, I know. I kept telling her. | 我知道 我一直提醒她 |
[17:01] | What did she say? | 她怎么说? |
[17:03] | She didn’t say anything. | 什么也不说 |
[17:05] | She just announced that she’d be in the garage, working. | 只是说她在车库工作 |
[17:09] | – Allison?! – I’m back here! | – 这边 |
[17:14] | What the hell is going on? | 究竟怎么回事 |
[17:16] | I’m soldering. | 我在焊接 |
[17:18] | And I’m getting pretty good at it, too. | 我越来越擅长这个了 |
[17:20] | No, that’s not what I mean, Allison. People are on their way over. | 我不是这意思 Allison 客人就要过来了 |
[17:23] | There’s nothing cooking in the oven. | 烤箱里什么都没有 |
[17:25] | The dishwasher is sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor. | 洗碗机横在厨房地板上 |
[17:27] | You’re not dressed. The kids aren’t dressed. | 你和孩子都没穿正装 |
[17:29] | Come on, what the hell are you doing?! | 你究竟在干吗 |
[17:31] | You know, I-I-I’m not quite sure, | 我不确定 |
[17:33] | but I was kind of hoping that you could tell me. | 也许你能告诉我 |
[17:36] | I think this thing really is going to work, whatever it is. | 我觉得这个东西 不管它是什么 在运转 |
[17:40] | You set the timer here and then whenever that time runs out | 这里有个计时器 每次时间到了的时候 |
[17:42] | this thing starts to get hot, really, really hot, | 这个东西就会加热 变的非常非常热 |
[17:46] | but why and what that does, I-I’m not… | 但是原因和用途我却不了解 |
[17:48] | What is that smell? | 什么味道 |
[17:50] | What are you talking about? What smell? | 你在说什么 有味道么 |
[17:52] | It almost smells like a plumbing problem. | 闻上去像是马桶坏的 |
[18:00] | Allison? | |
[18:03] | Did you buy all this fertilizer? | 是你买的这些肥料吗 |
[18:05] | I sure did. It took me five trips to get it here. | 没错 我来回五趟才运完的 |
[18:10] | Can you tell me why? | 能不能告诉我为什么 |
[18:12] | You know, I’m not quite sure. | 我不确定 |
[18:13] | I mean, I know it’s got something to do with this thing. | 我知道和这个东西有关 |
[18:15] | It wasn’t something I planned to do. | 这个不在计划中 |
[18:16] | I just… it came into my head, and I knew I had to have it. | 只是突然想到 觉得必须做 |
[18:28] | Allison, I need you to step away from that thing right now. | Allison 立刻离那个东西远点 |
[18:31] | All right, give me one second, honey. | 亲爱的 一会就好 |
[18:33] | No, no, time’s up. | 不行 立刻 |
[18:35] | I need you to step away from that thing and come with me. | 立刻离开那个东西到我这来 |
[18:38] | You know, if this is about this whole dinner thing, | 如果是因为晚餐的原因 |
[18:41] | I’m starting to think maybe we should reschedule. | 我想我们也许得改时间了 |
[18:45] | – What are you doing? – Put that down. | – 你在干什么 – 放下这个 |
[18:48] | Get the hell away from that thing. Get away from it and go in the house. | 给我离开这里进屋去 |
[18:51] | What the hell is your problem? | 你发什么神经 |
[18:53] | My problem? You want to know what my problem is? | 我发神经? 你知不知道你在搞什么 |
[18:55] | Allison, this thing that you’ve been working on all day, | Allison 你一整天在弄的这个东西 |
[18:56] | this is some kind of a-a timer. It’s some kind of a detonator. | 是个定时炸弹 |
[19:00] | And these bags… The hundreds of pounds of fertilizer that you brought into our house, | 这些你带回我们和孩子 居住的地方的 |
[19:03] | our house where we live, where our children live. | 数百磅的肥料 |
[19:06] | These would be your explosives. | 是炸药 |
[19:09] | Now, I may be crazy, but I think you’re minutes away | 也许我太激动了 不过 |
[19:11] | from having an uncontrollable urge to rent a panel truck | 我觉得你离冲动的租个卡车 |
[19:14] | and fill it with all this stuff and drive it to a federal building somewhere! | 带着这些东西 去炸某座政府大楼不远了 |
[19:22] | Oh, God. Okay, you know what. | 天啊 好吧 |
[19:25] | On second thought, why don’t you j-just continue doing | 仔细想想 不如我们接着 |
[19:27] | exactly what you’re doing, okay? | 做你刚才做的事 |
[19:29] | Because, you know, if we’re all dead ???? | 这样 如果我们都死了 就不会有人注意到没有晚餐了! |
[19:37] | Hi. Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[19:40] | – David, hi. Debbie. – Hello, Joe. | – 你好 David Debbie – 你好 Joe |
[19:43] | Um, oh, God. This is so embarrassing. Um… | 天 这太尴尬了 呃 |
[19:47] | Are you okay? Is everything okay? | 你还好吗 没什么事吧 |
[19:49] | Yes. No, no. It’s, um… | 是的 不 不 呃 |
[19:52] | We’ve had a, um… We’ve had a… | 我们 我们 呃 |
[19:55] | I’m so sorry. It’s my fault. | 很抱歉 是我的错 |
[19:57] | Um, well, maybe “fault” isn’t the right word. | 也许”错”并不是一个合适的词 |
[20:00] | Um… Uh, it’s me. It… I have food poisoning. | 呃是我 我食物中毒了 |
[20:05] | That’s Debbie, and, Allison, that’s David. | 这是Debbie 还有David |
[20:06] | Yeah, I’m Allison. It’s nice to meet you. I… | 我是Allison 很高兴见到你 我 |
[20:09] | It’s nice that I’m… we just met. | 很高兴我们见面 |
[20:12] | Oh, no, no, please. You don’t have to do that. | 哦 不 不 求求你 不必这样 |
[20:14] | I-I I’ve been living in the bathroom for the last… | 我已经在厕所里面待了45分钟 |
[20:17] | the last 45 minutes. Which is, uh, you know, why… | 所以 你知道 为什么 |
[20:20] | that’s why I’m not dressed. | 为什么我没打扮好 |
[20:22] | And, you know, I’ve been in there cooking all day. | 而且 你知道 我一整天都在做饭 |
[20:25] | Uh, we would ask you in, but, uh… | 呃 我们邀请你们来 但是 |
[20:28] | Yeah, it’s like a bomb went off in there. | 嗯 这里就好像被炸过一样一团糟 |
[20:32] | Or we would ask you to go to a restaurant,or something… | 或许我们该邀请你们 去饭店什么的 |
[20:36] | Oh. I feel terrible for you. | 哦 真可怕 |
[20:38] | Hey, I’ve been looking all over for you guys. | 嗨 我到处找你们 |
[20:42] | – Hey, hey. – Hey, uh… This is Bridgette. | – 嗨 嗨 – 嗨这是Bridgette |
[20:43] | This is our middle daughter Bridgette. Say hi to the Brewers. | 这是我们的二女儿Bridgette 跟Brewers夫妇打招呼 |
[20:46] | Uh, hi. Do you guys know that it smells like a barn out in the garage? | 呃 嗨 你们知道么 车库里全是牲口圈一样的味道 |
[20:51] | Hey, we’re going to take off. | 嗨 我们要走了 |
[20:52] | – Yeah. – Um, but we brought this. | – 对 – 嗯 我们带了这个来 |
[20:54] | Oh, no, no, no. You don’t have to do that. | 哦 不 不 不 不必这么客气 |
[20:56] | I… I insist. | 收下吧 |
[21:09] | I just… maybe wouldn’t drink it tonight. | 只是也许我今晚不会喝这瓶酒 |
[21:13] | Right. | 好 |
[21:15] | All right, Dave. So long. I’m sorry. | 好的 耽误这么长时间 很抱歉 |
[21:18] | It’s nice to meet you, Debbie. | 很高兴见到你Debbie |
[21:23] | Okay, Bridgette, would you… would you go and get ready for bed? | 好了Bridgette 你能不能去上床睡觉? |
[21:26] | Daddy needs to talk to Mommy. | 爸爸得跟妈妈谈谈 |
[21:32] | What are you doing? | 你在干什么? |
[21:34] | I called the store. They’re open till 10:00. | 我打了电话给商店 他们营业到10点 |
[21:37] | So I’m loading up both cars. We’re taking all this back, | 所以我在给两辆车装货 我们把这些东西都退回去 |
[21:40] | ’cause I don’t want it in the house, Allison. | 因为我不喜欢这些东西 放在家里 Allison |
[21:41] | I don’t want it anywhere near the house. | 绝对不想它们在家的附近 |
[21:45] | Ariel can watch the girls. You follow me in your car. | Ariel可以照顾两个小女儿 你开你自己的车跟着我 |
[21:49] | We’ll get it done in a couple trips. | 我们来回运几次就可以了 |
[21:51] | I can do this tomorrow. | 这些事情可以让我明天来做 |
[21:53] | Yeah… right. | 对 是啊 |
[21:56] | Well, what does that mean? | 你这是什么意思? |
[21:58] | That means that you built a bomb… in our house, Allison. | 意思是 你制造了一颗炸弹 在我们的家里 Allison |
[22:03] | In my children’s house. | 在我的孩子们的家里 |
[22:12] | Now get in the car, please. It’s getting late. | 请你现在上车去 已经不早了 |
[22:24] | – Are you still awake? – You’re kidding, right? | – 你睡着了么? – 你开玩笑吧? |
[22:28] | I think it’s over. | 我想一切都结束了 |
[22:31] | I took apart that thing that I was building. | 我把我做的那些东西都毁掉了 |
[22:33] | I threw all the pieces away. | 把所有的碎片都扔了 |
[22:36] | Not even a twinge of regret. | 而且完全不觉得后悔 |
[22:38] | And for what it’s worth, when we went back to that store, | 更值得的是 当我回到商店里时 |
[22:44] | nothing, nothing glowed. | 再没有什么东西发光了 |
[22:49] | I’m sorry, but that’s not reassuring enough. | 很抱歉 可是那样并不能足够令人放心 |
[22:52] | I need you to promise me, | 你得答应我 |
[22:55] | if these urges if these compulsions to… | 如果类似这样强烈的欲望 这些冲动令你… |
[22:58] | to build things to acquire things, | 非常想要得到什么东西 |
[23:00] | if they come back, you have to call me… | 如果这样的情绪再次出现 你要打电话给我 |
[23:03] | you have to find me. | 你得找我 |
[23:05] | I’ll come home. I’ll hold you down. | 我会回家来 我会来劝服你 |
[23:09] | I might call you just to test that. | 我可能会给你电话试验一下 |
[23:15] | I’m so sorry. | 非常对不起 |
[23:17] | I’m so sorry about tonight. | 今晚的事情我非常非常抱歉 |
[23:26] | ok | 好了 |
[23:32] | So you got all this from the Needles Police Department? | 这些都是从Needles警察局得到的么? |
[23:35] | The sheriff recognized the photo of our John Doe as soon as he saw it. | 警长一看到无名男尸的照片就认出他了 |
[23:39] | Turns out this guy is actually Mitchell Slocumb. | 这个人原来是叫Mitchell Slocumb |
[23:41] | Mitchell Slocumb… I know that name. | 我知道这个名字 |
[23:44] | Well, I would hope so. He certainly made enough news. | 我也觉得如此 他确实制造了不少新闻 |
[23:47] | Back in 1985, he detonated a fertilizer bomb in a parking garage | 早在1985年 他在停车场里 引爆了一个化肥炸弹 |
[23:51] | beneath the federal courthouse in Sacramento, California. | 就在加州萨克拉门托联邦法院的下面 |
[23:53] | It was one of the first cases of domestic terrorism in this country. | 这是国家有史以来 第一单国内恐怖主义案件 |
[23:56] | Seventeen people died. | 死了37个人 |
[23:59] | Mitchell Slocumb wrote a letter claiming credit for the bombing. | Mitchell Slocumb写了一封信 声称对爆炸案负责 |
[24:02] | Then he just disappeared. That is, until now. | 然后 他就消失了直到现在 |
[24:07] | – You okay? – Yeah, no, yeah. | – 你还好么? – 嗯 不 还好 |
[24:10] | I’m just… I’m surprised. | 我只是很惊讶 |
[24:13] | Anyway, this man’s death is gonna be big news, | 无论如何 这人的死讯 会是个大新闻 |
[24:15] | so before I talk to the media, | 所以在我对媒体公布之前 |
[24:17] | I just wanted to make sure you didn’t have any new insights | 我想确认一下 你们俩 对于杀他的凶手 |
[24:19] | into who might have killed him. | 还没有新发现吧 |
[24:21] | Although, to be perfectly frank, | 虽然 坦白说 |
[24:22] | I’m not sure if I prefer to prosecute his murderer | 我并不确定我愿意 将杀他的凶手绳之以法 |
[24:25] | or recommend the guy for a commendation. | 或是大肆表彰 |
[24:28] | So nothing? | 有想法么? |
[24:36] | You feeling better today? | 你今天感觉好些了么? |
[24:38] | Yeah, thank you. Can I have a word with you? | 是的 谢谢 能和你说句话么? |
[24:45] | I started building that bomb two days ago, just hours after I saw his body. | 两天前 见到他的尸体几小时后 我开始制造那个炸弹 |
[24:48] | I have to believe that’s more than just a coincidence. | 我只能相信这不仅仅是巧合 |
[24:53] | So you think maybe that he was using you | 所以你觉得 他是在利用你 |
[24:55] | to take care of some unfinished business? | 去做一些未完成的事情? |
[24:58] | He blew up a federal courthouse in 1985. I work in a courthouse. | 他在1985年炸了一个联邦法院 而我在法院工作 |
[25:01] | I drive my car into a courthouse garage every day. | 我每天都把自己的车 开到法院的停车场里面 |
[25:05] | Hmm. Okay. | 嗯 好吧 |
[25:08] | Um, but you haven’t called me, | 可你没有提前打电话给我 |
[25:09] | so I’m assuming that you haven’t felt the need to buy anything, | 所以我猜你并没有觉得想要买什么 |
[25:12] | build anything, collect anything. | 制造什么 或是收集什么 |
[25:15] | What are you doing? | 你在干嘛? |
[25:16] | Well, if we can’t be absolutely positive | 如果我们无法完全肯定 |
[25:18] | that Mitchell Slocumb won’t get into your head again, | 不会再次进入你的思想 |
[25:21] | at least we can make sure that you don’t have the means | 至少我们可以确保 |
[25:23] | to buy any more fertilizer for him. | 你没法再买什么对他有利的东西 |
[25:26] | A gallon of gas? | 比如一加仑汽油? |
[25:33] | Hey. You all right? | 嗨 你没事吧? |
[25:37] | Yeah. No… I’m fine. | 嗯 不 我很好 |
[25:42] | It’s a bad habit. | 这是个坏习惯 |
[25:44] | Debbie thinks I quit. | Debbie以为我戒了 |
[25:46] | If she knew, she’d kill me. | 如果让她知道 她非杀了我 |
[25:55] | You sure you’re okay? | 你真的没事? |
[25:57] | No, I’m okay. | 嗯 我很好 |
[26:00] | It’s family stuff. | 这是家庭纠纷 |
[26:03] | It’s just… It’s family stuff. | 家庭纠纷而已 |
[26:25] | Explain. | 给我解释 |
[26:28] | Don’t lie to me. Don’t lie to me! | 别说谎话 别说谎话! |
[26:31] | Don’t tell me it wasn’t you. | 可别说那不是你 |
[26:32] | You’ll just make it twice as bad if you lie to me. | 如果你撒谎的话 可就更糟糕了 |
[26:39] | – I just thought he deserved a decent burial… – I gave him what he deserved, Arlo. | – 我觉得他应得一个体面的葬礼… – 我已经给了他应得的 Arlo |
[26:46] | I tried so hard to raise you right. Look at me! | 我费那么大劲 想让你往好路上走 看着我! |
[26:51] | All you do is disappoint. | 你却只会让我失望 |
[26:57] | The problem with you, son, | 孩子 你的问题是 |
[26:59] | is you keep forgetting we’re at war here. | 如果你总是不能记住 我们这是在打仗 |
[27:03] | Me– I got this to remind me. | 而我…我拿这个来提醒自己 |
[27:05] | I see it in the mirror every day and I remember. | 我每天都照镜子 所以我记得 |
[27:09] | Crawling through the mud and the puke at Khe Sanh. | 在泥土里面爬过 然后在Khe Sanh呕吐 |
[27:14] | I remember my boots | 我记得我的靴子 |
[27:17] | filling with the blood of young American boys, | 装满了年轻美国男孩的鲜血 |
[27:20] | whose daddies either weren’t rich enough | 他们的父亲既不够富有 |
[27:21] | or white enough to keep them out of a racist, classist draft. | 也不是白人 无法让他们逃脱种族和阶级歧视 |
[27:26] | I remember the stink of their corpses… | 我记得他们尸体的腐臭味道 |
[27:31] | knowing that they died for nothing. | 知道他们死的毫无价值 |
[27:43] | Dad, what are you doing? | 爸爸 你这是在干嘛? |
[27:45] | Like I said, Arlo, we’re at war. | 正如我所说的Arlo 我们身处战争中 |
[27:50] | Now you’ll have something to remind you. | 现在你会得到 可以提醒你的东西了 |
[27:54] | Dad… Dad! | 爸爸 爸爸! |
[28:08] | It was nice seeing you again, Allison. | 很高兴再次见到你 Allison |
[28:10] | I hope the next time you meet Debbie, you’ll keep my secret. | 希望你下次见到Debbie的时候 能够帮我保守秘密 |
[28:28] | Somebody’s been awfully quiet all night. | 有些人一整晚都出乎意料地安静啊 |
[28:30] | Well, somebody’s in a real quandary. | 有人在进退维谷呢 |
[28:33] | Oh, really? You think so? | 哦 是么? 你这样觉得? |
[28:36] | Have you not heard anything that I’ve said? | 你没有听到我说的话么? |
[28:38] | Yeah, I got it. He’s a smoker. | 嗯 我知道了 他是个烟民 |
[28:41] | Me? I’m willing to look past it. | 我? 我很乐意睁只眼闭只眼 |
[28:43] | You know that’s not what I’m talking about. | 你知道 我不是在说这个 |
[28:46] | Seriously? | 要说真的? |
[28:47] | Because I don’t think the other matters. | 我觉得那些没啥大不了 |
[28:50] | – Really? – Yeah, really. | – 真的? – 对 真的 |
[28:51] | Let’s say that you’re right. Let’s say that Mitchell Slocumb really is David’s father. | 且当你是对的 就算Mitchell Slocumb 确实是David的父亲 |
[28:55] | So what? | 那又如何呢? |
[28:57] | Does that change who he is? | 难道会改变他的本质? |
[28:59] | Am I supposed to think less of him because of something that his father did? | 我要因为他父亲的行径 而由此看低他么? |
[29:02] | Changing your name so people won’t hold what your father did | 改名以不背上自己父亲的骂名 |
[29:05] | against you, is that a crime? | 这是犯罪么? |
[29:07] | Boy, you really don’t get it. | 亲爱的 你没有明白我的意思 |
[29:08] | No, Allison, I think I do. | 不 Allison 我想我明白 |
[29:10] | As psychic dilemmas go, this one’s pretty cut-and-dry. | 就如心理难题出的那样 这个人非常呆板 |
[29:13] | If David Brewer doesn’t want anyone to know who he is, | 如果David Brewer 不希望别人知道他的身份 |
[29:15] | then that’s fine; that’s his business. | 那么没关系 那是他自己的事情 |
[29:17] | I get it. We don’t have to ask; he doesn’t have to tell. | 我明白的 我们不必去问 他也无需去说 |
[29:21] | But, Joe, I think I have to ask. | 可是Joe 我觉得我必须要问 |
[29:24] | I know that Slocumb was a monster, but it’s my job to find out who killed him. | 我知道Slocumb是个怪物 但我的工作是找出杀他的人 |
[29:29] | Well, you think it might have been David? | 哦 难道你觉得会是David? |
[29:31] | Well, I don’t know. But if what I’m seeing is true, | 我不知道 可是如果我见到的是事实 |
[29:34] | in addition to killing all of these people, | 除了杀了这么多人之外 |
[29:36] | Mitchell Slocumb was an incredibly abusive parent. | 还是一个难以置信的凶暴的家长 |
[29:39] | That doesn’t make David a killer. | 那也不会让David成为杀人凶手 |
[29:41] | And, look, let’s not forget,we’re not absolutely certain that they’re father and son. | 而且 听我说 别忘了 我们还不十分肯定他们是父子呢 |
[29:45] | You should have seen him outside of your office. | 你应该看看他在你公司外面的样子 |
[29:47] | It was right after the news hit that we identified Slocumb. | 恰在我们公布Slocumb身份之后 |
[29:51] | David was trembling. | David在发抖 |
[29:52] | When I asked him what was wrong, he said it was a family thing. | 当我问他发生了什么事情时 他说是家庭纠纷 |
[29:55] | Well, maybe it was. How do you know? Maybe he had a fight with his wife. | 可能就是 你怎么知道呢? 也许他和他老婆闹了一场矛盾 |
[29:58] | I am sorry. I know that you really like him. | 对不起 我知道你真的喜欢他 |
[30:01] | But I need to tell Devalos what I know. | 可是我必须告诉Devalos 我所知道的事情 |
[30:04] | And he’s going to want to bring him in for questioning. | 他将会去讯问David |
[30:07] | Allison, we’re not talking about somebody that I… that I like here. | Allison 我们并不是在讨论 我喜欢的什么人 |
[30:10] | We’re talking about the only person that I’ve hired so far. | 而是我眼下唯一雇佣的人 |
[30:13] | He’s like half the company. | 他就是公司的半边天 |
[30:15] | – It took me three months to find him. – I know. | – 我花了三个月的时间才找到他 – 我知道 |
[30:24] | let me talk to him first. I want to be the one to talk to him first. | 先让我跟他谈谈 我想先跟他谈谈 |
[30:27] | If he’s going to get hauled into the DA’s office for questioning | 如果他要被带去检察官办公室问话 |
[30:29] | just because he has the bad luck to work for me, | 只因为他正好倒霉替我工作 |
[30:31] | then I want to be the one to explain it to him. | 我希望跟他解释的人是我 |
[30:38] | Hi. David, thank you so much for coming. | 嗨 David 非常感谢你能来 |
[30:40] | Yeah. Like I have a choice. | 是啊 我也没有选择 |
[30:47] | Yeah, okay. | 嗯 好吧 |
[30:50] | I was born Arlo Slocumb. | 我的真名是Arlo Slocumb |
[30:52] | Mitchell Slocumb’s my father. | Mitchell Slocumb是我的父亲 |
[30:54] | Was my father. | 曾经是我的父亲 |
[30:57] | So what do you want to know? | 你们想知道什么? |
[30:59] | I’m not going to be able to tell you very much. | 我无法给你们很多的信息 |
[31:00] | I moved out before I was 17. | 我没到17岁就搬出家了 |
[31:04] | As soon as I turned 21, I changed my name. | 到我21岁的时候 就改了自己的名字 |
[31:08] | I, I don’t think I have any light to shed. | 我 我觉得我没有什么内幕可以透露 |
[31:10] | Be that as it may, I do need to ask you some questions, | 话虽如此 我还是得问你几个问题 |
[31:13] | the most important being can you account for your whereabouts Monday night? | 最重要的是 你能告诉你 星期一的晚上你在哪里么? |
[31:16] | You mean the night that my father was killed? | 你是说我父亲被杀的那晚么? |
[31:20] | Yeah… | 是的 |
[31:21] | but no. I mean… | 哦 不 我是说 |
[31:23] | I was at home, but there was no one there with me. | 我当时在家里 可是只有我自己 |
[31:27] | What about Debbie? Your kids? | Debbie呢? 你的孩子们呢? |
[31:29] | They were visiting with her sister in Flagstaff. | 他们去Flagstaff的姐姐家了 |
[31:32] | Is that what this is? Is that the working theory? | 是这样么? 你们的工作理论是这样么? |
[31:34] | You think I spent 20 years hiding that I was his son | 你们认为我花20年的时间 隐瞒我是他的儿子 |
[31:37] | so I could come back and kill him and become notorious for it? | 就为了有一天能够回来杀了他 并因此恶名远扬? |
[31:43] | Look, I don’t know how to prove it, but I didn’t even know that he was in Phoenix | 我无法证明 但我连他在凤凰城都不知道 |
[31:46] | until I saw the online report that he was dead. | 直到我看了报纸上他的死讯 |
[31:49] | I’m afraid that’s not good enough,Mr. Brewer. | 我恐怕这回答不够令人满意 Brewer先生 |
[31:52] | I’ve got to find a way to substantiate your alibi. | 我已经有办法来证实你的托辞 |
[31:55] | Even in death | 即便是死 |
[31:57] | the man is complicating my life. | 这个人还要把我的生活搞得一团糟 |
[32:02] | So what’s next? How do we do this? | 下一步怎么办? 我们该如何处理? |
[32:04] | It’s pretty straightforward stuff. We fingerprint you. | 非常简单 我们提取你的指纹 |
[32:08] | Look around your house for a murder weapon. | 在你家附近搜寻杀人武器 |
[32:10] | Talk to some people who know you. | 找一些认识你的人谈谈 |
[32:11] | Oh, man. | 拜托 |
[32:15] | Look. I get it. | 我明白的 |
[32:17] | I understand what you have to do. I get it. I… | 我能理解你们的做法 我明白 |
[32:20] | All I’m saying is just… | 我只想说… |
[32:23] | please be sensitive to my situation. | 麻烦你们关注一下我的处境 |
[32:26] | Be discreet. | 谨慎一点 |
[32:27] | I’ve spent a long time building a life as David Brewer. | 我花了很长的时间 建立属于David Brewer的生活 |
[32:31] | I have a wife; I have two kids | 我有太太 两个孩子 |
[32:33] | who have no idea that their grandfather was a mass murderer. | 他们都不知道自己的爷爷 是个混蛋谋杀犯 |
[32:37] | I have a professional reputation to protect. | 我得维护我的专业声誉 |
[32:40] | We understand, Mr. Brewer. We’ll do our best. | 我们理解 Brewer先生 我们会尽力的 |
[32:47] | Mom! Daddy’s on the TV! | 妈妈! 爸爸上电视了! |
[32:50] | I was trying to find cartoons. But all the channels had Daddy on them instead. | 我在找动画片看 可是全部的台都是爸爸 |
[32:54] | Mr. Slocumb, is it true you’ve been living under an assumed name since the 1980s? | Slocumb先生 自从80年代起 你就一直以假名生活 这是真的么? |
[32:58] | I don’t have nothing to say about that. | 无可奉告 |
[33:03] | – Hello? – Seen the news? | – 喂? – 看到新闻了? |
[33:06] | Seen it? | 看新闻? |
[33:07] | Lee, my God, this is terrible. | Lee 上帝啊 这太可怕了 |
[33:09] | This man’s a friend. He works for my husband. We gave him our word. | 这人是个朋友 他为我老公工作 我们答应了他的 |
[33:13] | How did the press find out? | 记者怎么会知道的? |
[33:14] | Someone must have seen my report, made a call. | 肯定有什么人看了我的报告 打电话给记者 |
[33:17] | I’m guessing money changed hands. | 我猜一定是金钱交易 |
[33:19] | That poor man. All he did was ask us to protect his privacy. | 那个人太可怜了 他只是求我们保护他的隐私 |
[33:23] | You ready for the punch line? It was all for naught. | 你真的相信新闻? 都是胡扯 |
[33:26] | We found the man who actually killed Slocumb. | 我们找到了真正杀害Slocumb的人 |
[33:29] | Name is Donald Wright. | 名叫Donald Wright |
[33:31] | He ran with the same rightwing nut jobs that Slocumb did. | 他跟Slocumb干的是同一行 |
[33:34] | Turns out the two of them had a fight over money. | 看来他们两人因为金钱发生了争端 |
[33:36] | Ended with Wright taking a pipe to his “buddy’s” skull. | 最后Wright用管子 给他的头骨”友好的”一击 |
[33:39] | David’s completely innocent? We questioned him for nothing. | David完全是无辜的? 我们对他的审问毫无意义? |
[33:44] | I’m afraid so. | 恐怕是这样 |
[33:45] | I wonder if it’ll be any consolation to him while the media’s picking his life apart. | 我不知道这算不算是对他的一点安慰 虽然媒体已经毁掉了他的生活 |
[33:49] | No, okay. Yeah. | 不 好的 对 |
[33:52] | No, I-I, yeah, I understand. | 不 我 我理解 |
[33:55] | Look, if there’s ever anything that I can do for you… | 如果有什么我能帮忙的 |
[33:59] | I’m so sorry. I really am, David. | 对不起 真的非常对不起 David |
[34:05] | What? What now? | 怎么? 怎么了? |
[34:07] | He just quit. They’re moving. | 他刚刚辞职了 他们要搬家 |
[34:10] | Oh, God, no. | 哦 上帝 不 |
[34:11] | Somebody threw a rock through their window. | 有人往他们家里扔了石头 |
[34:14] | He’s been getting threatening phone calls all night. | 他整个晚上都不断接到恐吓电话 |
[34:18] | The police have a car parked outside of his house, | 警察派了一辆车停在他家外面 |
[34:20] | but it’s not like they can stay there forever. | 可是他们不可能永远守在那里 |
[34:24] | He just wants out of here… | 他只想离开这里 |
[34:26] | and I can’t blame him. | 我怪不了他 |
[34:29] | I don’t understand. What is all this? | 我不明白 这到底是怎么了? |
[34:32] | If he’s innocent, why am I being shown all these things? | 如果他真是无辜的 为什么我总会看到这些东西? |
[34:35] | So I can ruin the life of a good man? | 就为了毁掉一个好人的生活? |
[34:38] | You got me, Al. | 你有我 Al |
[34:41] | …number 13 takes it to the 49. | 13号把球传给了49号 |
[34:44] | Martin has got… | Martin得到了 |
[34:47] | Dad? | 爸爸? |
[34:49] | I have something I want to show you. | 我有些东西想给你看 |
[34:59] | What the hell is that? | 那是什么鬼东西? |
[35:02] | I found one of those new microwave ovens over at the dump. | 我在垃圾场里找到了那些新的微波炉 |
[35:05] | It was pretty smashed up, but the inside still worked. | 外观被损毁得很严重 可是内部还能正常工作 |
[35:09] | It gave me an idea. | 这启发了我 |
[35:11] | See, this is a timer. | 看 这是一个计时器 |
[35:13] | You just set it for however long you need to get away. | 你只需要把它的时间 设定为你能够逃走的时间 |
[35:16] | And this, this thing gets really, really hot. | 而这个 这个会变得非常非常热 |
[35:21] | You take all this, | 你拿这些东西 |
[35:22] | you put it in a vehicle filled with gas and-and an oxidizer… | 把它放在装满油的汽车里 还有氧化剂 |
[35:27] | Oxidizer? What’s an oxidizer? | 氧化剂? 什么是氧化剂? |
[35:31] | Fertilizer. | 就是肥料 |
[35:33] | You take 20 or 30 bags of fertilizer… | 带上20或30袋肥料 |
[35:36] | And what? | 然后呢? |
[35:38] | Well, I think you could blow up a building. | 呃 我想你可以炸掉一栋大楼 |
[35:53] | That’s… beautiful, son. | 这太美了 孩子 |
[35:59] | I could never build something like that. | 我永远都做不出这样的东西 |
[36:02] | Not in a million years. | 一百年都不行 |
[36:04] | You always said you wanted to change the world, Dad. | 你总说你想改变世界 爸爸 |
[36:09] | now you can. | 现在你可以了 |
[36:39] | Oh, my God, what are you up to now? | 哦 上帝 你这是在干嘛? |
[36:42] | I’m fine. I’m fine. | 我没事 我没事 |
[36:43] | I’m not building anything. I’m not blowing anything up. | 我不是在制造什么 也不是要炸什么 |
[36:45] | I’m just trying to find… | 我只是想找 |
[36:48] | Here it is. | 这个 |
[36:50] | From a 20-year-old microwave. I completely missed the point. | 从一台20年老旧的微波炉里 我全然忽略的重点 |
[36:53] | I have no idea what you’re talking about. The point of what? | 我不知道你到底在说什么 什么重点? |
[36:56] | The dreams, the compulsions. | 那些梦 那些强烈的渴望 |
[36:57] | They had nothing to do with Mitchell Slocumb trying to get me to blow up another courthouse. | 它们与Mitchell Slocumb 让我炸掉另一个法院没有关系 |
[37:02] | It had to do with seeing how the bomb really got made | 它们让我看到 炸弹究竟是怎么做的 |
[37:05] | so I could understand who really made it. | 然后我就可以知道 究竟是谁做的炸弹 |
[37:08] | What do you mean, “who really made it”? | 你是什么意思 “究竟是谁做的炸弹”? |
[37:10] | Mitchell Slocumb didn’t build that bomb, Joe. | 没有制造那个爆炸案 Joe |
[37:14] | His son did. | 是他儿子干的 |
[37:17] | Remember that night he came over for dinner? He handed me that bottle of wine? | 还记得他们来吃午餐那天么? 他给我的那瓶酒? |
[37:21] | As soon as I touched it, I-I saw these images. | 我拿到酒的那个瞬间 我看到了许多图像 |
[37:23] | These flashes of… pictures. Faces. | 一闪而过的照片 脸孔 |
[37:27] | I really didn’t understand it at the time, but now I’m starting to think… | 当时我真的不明白 可现在我开始想 |
[37:32] | There they are. There’s 17 of them. | 就是他们 他们17个人 |
[37:37] | I’m starting to think that I saw them ’cause they’re always in his head. | 我之所以能看到他们 因为他们一直都在David的记忆里 |
[37:41] | He’s haunted by them. | 他被他们困扰不已 |
[37:43] | Okay, so let’s say that you’re right. | 好 就算你是对的 |
[37:45] | What are you gonna do? It-it’s 23 years now. The only other person who was there is dead. | 接下来你打算怎么办? 已经23年了 当时唯一在现场的人也死了 |
[37:50] | How exactly do you go about proving any of this | 你究竟要怎么样才能证明这些 |
[37:53] | I mean, what do you do with it? | 你要拿这些东西怎么办? |
[37:58] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[38:11] | How do you do it? | 你是怎么做到的? |
[38:14] | How do you live with yourself? | 你怎么能够接受自己? |
[38:17] | How do you live with it day in and day out? | 你怎么能够日复一日地安之若素? |
[38:19] | With 17 people’s lives on your conscience? | 17个亡灵在谴责你的良心? |
[38:24] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. Those people aren’t on my conscience. | 我不知道你在说什么 那些人没有谴责我的良心 |
[38:26] | My father detonated that bomb. My father killed those people. | 我父亲引爆了那个炸弹 是我父亲杀了那些人 |
[38:30] | Your father figured out how to use microwave oven parts to build a detonator? | 你父亲知道怎么使用 微波炉去制造引爆器? |
[38:34] | You father knew to use gasoline and fertilizer | 和Oklahoma城市爆炸案发生10年前 |
[38:37] | ten years before Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City bombing? | 你父亲就知道要用汽油和化肥? |
[38:41] | Your father, who dropped out of high school and went right into the army? | 你父亲高中就辍学 直接入伍 他会知道这些? |
[38:47] | I think I’d like you to leave now. | 我想我希望你立刻离开 |
[38:48] | I know you built it. I know you made it. | 我知道是你做的 是你制造的炸弹 |
[38:52] | I know you gave it to your father. | 我知道是你把炸弹给了你父亲 |
[38:53] | And he drove it to California and he murdered 17 people. | 然后他把炸弹扔到加州 杀了17个人 |
[38:59] | 17 people whose pictures you saw in the newspaper the next morning. | 就是第二天早晨 你在报纸上见到照片的那17个人 |
[39:03] | 17 people whose faces are etched in your mind. | 17个人的脸铭刻在你的脑海里 |
[39:07] | Whatever you say. | 无论你说什么 |
[39:10] | But seeing as how there are no police cars flooding this driveway, | 可是我看到这周围一带没有警车出没 |
[39:13] | I don’t see how you are actually able to prove that. | 我看不出你有什么证据证明这些 |
[39:16] | Well, you’re right I can’t prove it. | 对 你说的没错 我无法证明 |
[39:19] | But the 17 people who died that day– | 可是在那天死去的17个人… |
[39:22] | the people who loved them– | 那些爱着他们的人们… |
[39:25] | they really deserve to know what really happened. | 他们确实应该知道究竟发生了什么 |
[39:27] | They-they know what happened. | 他们知道发生了什么 |
[39:29] | A misguided fool with mental problems set off a bomb. | 一个脑子有问题的神经病引爆了一个炸弹 |
[39:32] | And if it hadn’t been that bomb, it might have been another. | 而且就算不是那个炸弹 也会有另一个炸弹 |
[39:34] | Dynamite stolen from a construction site, | 一个从建筑地盘偷来的炸弹 |
[39:37] | or a war-surplus hand grenade. | 又或者是战争遗留下来的手榴弹 |
[39:40] | Is that how you excuse what you did? | 这就是你给自己的所作所为找的借口? |
[39:47] | By the way, I think your math’s a little off. | 顺便说一下 我想你的数学一定很糟糕 |
[39:51] | 18 people died that day. | 那天死了18个人 |
[39:56] | A badly damaged boy named Arlo Slocumb– | 一个被摧毁的面目全非的 名叫Arlo Slocumb的男孩… |
[39:59] | he died in that blast, too. | 他也在那起爆炸案中死去了 |
[40:04] | And out of his ashes… | 而在他的尸体的灰烬之上 |
[40:07] | David Brewer was born. | David Brewer诞生了 |
[40:09] | And while David Brewer may sometimes think about | 而当David Brewer偶尔想起 |
[40:12] | some of the things that Arlo Slocumb did, | Arlo Slocumb曾经做过的那些事情 |
[40:16] | it’d be an unspeakable tragedy for him to go to jail for that boy’s crimes. | 如果他为了那个男孩的罪过去蹲监狱 将会是一个难以形容的悲剧 |
[40:22] | I mean… | 我是说 |
[40:24] | what would be the point of destroying one more family? | 再毁掉一个家庭有什么意义呢? |
[40:29] | – Sweetie. We really need to get going. – I’ll be right there. | – 亲爱的 我们真的该走了 – 我马上来 |
[40:39] | I’m sorry that we’re not gonna able to have that dinner, Allison. | 很抱歉 我们无法一起吃晚餐了Allison |
[40:44] | I really think you’d like me. | 我真的觉得 你定会喜欢我的 |
[41:00] | It’s always there, isn’t it? | 他们总是在那儿 对么? |
[41:07] | Give Joe my best. | 代我问候Joe |