时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:23] | 本剧改编自因《平等权利修正案》引发的政治斗争和辩论的相关真实事件 部分剧中角色和一些场景对话做了戏剧创作和改编 | |
[01:02] | Do these look real? | 看上去像真胸吗 |
[01:03] | – No. – No. | -不 -不 |
[01:05] | Where’s Phyllis? She’s up next. | 菲莉丝呢 该她上了 |
[01:07] | Oh, um, she’s already there waiting. | 她已经在等了 |
[01:10] | Next, we have the wife of one of our biggest donors– | 下一位是我们最慷慨的捐助者之一的妻子 |
[01:13] | Mrs. J. Fred Schlafly. | J·弗莱德·施拉夫利太太 |
[01:16] | Ready for summer in this patriotic swimsuit | 身着这件爱国的泳衣 准备迎接夏天 |
[01:19] | courtesy of Marshall Field. | 泳衣来自马歇尔·菲尔德百货 |
[01:23] | Fred is an attorney in Alton, Illinois. | 弗莱德是伊利诺伊州奥顿的一名律师 |
[01:25] | He and his wife have been active | 他和妻子多年来 |
[01:26] | in the Republican Party for many years, | 一直是共和党活跃的成员 |
[01:29] | and we thank them for coming out to support | 我们感激他们前来支持 |
[01:31] | Congressman Phil Crane’s re-election campaign. | 菲尔·克莱恩众议员的再选竞选 |
[01:41] | And next up is Mrs. Philip Crane, | 接下来有请菲利普·克莱恩太太 |
[01:43] | the wife of the man of the hour. | 风云人物的妻子 |
[01:45] | Looks smart in this evening dress | 这身晚装真是靓丽无比 |
[01:47] | from Neiman Marcus. It’s… | 来自尼曼·马库斯百货 |
[01:54] | – Are you gonna buy the mink? – I prefer sable. | -你要买那件貂皮吗 -我更喜欢黑貂 |
[01:56] | Thank God they asked you to model this time. | 幸好这次他们叫你来做模特 |
[01:59] | You know, when you were campaigning, | 你之前去宣传时 |
[02:00] | I got stuck with the bikini, | 我负责穿比基尼 |
[02:01] | and I’d just given birth to Sarah about 10 minutes earlier. | 我可是刚生了莎拉 |
[02:03] | You ran an incredible campaign that year. | 你那年的竞选操办得太棒了 |
[02:05] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:06] | If only you didn’t have to be a man to win downstate. | 可惜在南部边远地带只有男人吃得开 |
[02:10] | Oh, that wasn’t the issue. It was a terrible year for us. | 那并非问题所在 我们那年太不顺了 |
[02:13] | You’d have to go back to 1934 | 共和党上次这么不顺 |
[02:15] | to find such a bad year for Republicans. | 恐怕得追溯到1934年了 |
[02:17] | My husband won. | 我丈夫就赢了 |
[02:23] | Well, Fred said I would have won | 弗莱德说我本来也能赢 |
[02:24] | if the Democrats hadn’t rigged the congressional map | 只不过民主党在选区划分上 |
[02:26] | in their favor. | 动了手脚 |
[02:29] | How are your kids adjusting to D.C. life? | 你们还适应华府的生活吗 |
[02:31] | You bought a house in Alexandria. | 你们在亚历山德拉买了栋房子 |
[02:32] | McLean. | 是麦克廉 |
[02:34] | Oh, I hear that’s a lovely neighborhood. | 我听说那个街区很不错 |
[02:35] | Are you ladies decent? | 女士们都穿好了吗 |
[02:39] | Did you have a good time out there? | 你刚刚开心吗 |
[02:40] | – Yes. – Okay. | -当然 -好 |
[02:42] | Now shoo, so we can get changed. | 快走吧 我们好换衣服 |
[02:44] | Okay, well, thank you all again. | 好 再次感谢你们 |
[02:46] | This event wouldn’t be a success without you, | 这次活动的成功多亏了你们 |
[02:47] | and I look forward to having you on my show next week. | 我期待下周请你上我的节目 |
[02:50] | please wear that. | 就穿这身吧 |
[03:58] | Mike, what do we do? I can’t block that lens. | 迈克 怎么办 那块镜片挡不住 |
[04:01] | – Check. Check camera two. – …over there for me. | -好了 2号摄影机好 -…这边 |
[04:03] | Okay, just watch that. Take it down, okay? | 好 小心点 拿下来 |
[04:05] | Looks good. We need to white balance. | 不错 我们得白平衡 |
[04:07] | What about off her face? | 给她脸调调吧 |
[04:10] | – Good afternoon, gentlemen. – Good afternoon, Mr. Crane. | -下午好 先生们 -下午好 克莱恩先生 |
[04:12] | How are you? I’m so sorry to keep you waiting. | 你好吗 真抱歉让你久等 |
[04:15] | No. | 没有 |
[04:17] | Hey. I had to release a statement | 我需要发表一篇关于 |
[04:18] | on the Consumer Product Safety Act. | 《消费产品安全法》的声明 |
[04:20] | Oh. How will you vote? | 你会如何投票 |
[04:22] | You’ll have to ask my chief of staff. | 那你得去问我的幕僚长了 |
[04:24] | Mr. Crane, we’re starting in about a minute. | 克莱恩先生 我们一分钟后开始 |
[04:26] | All right. Okay, so I will begin by introducing the topic. | 好 我先从介绍话题开始 |
[04:31] | And then I’m gonna ask you to weigh in. | 然后我会请你发表看法 |
[04:32] | It’s debate style. | 这是辩论的形式 |
[04:33] | But I’m gonna throw you some easy questions | 但我也会给你些简单的问题 |
[04:35] | so you don’t seem in over your head, okay? Thank you. | 以免你看上去招架不住 谢谢 |
[04:36] | – Okay. – Thank you, sir. | -好 -谢谢 先生 |
[04:37] | And I might disagree with you | 我可能会提出反对 |
[04:38] | just to make it more fun for the viewers, so… | 好让节目更有看头 |
[04:40] | Relax. Look like you’re having fun, even if you’re not. | 放松 即便有不愉快 也不能表现出来 |
[04:43] | And, uh, don’t forget to smile. | 别忘记微笑 |
[04:46] | What? | 什么 |
[04:47] | Smile with teeth. | 露齿笑 |
[04:49] | – Rolling! – You wanna practice? | -开拍 -练习一下吧 |
[04:52] | I think I’ve got it. | 我没问题 |
[04:53] | Okay. We’re up. | 好 我们开始 |
[04:55] | Action. | 开拍 |
[04:58] | Good evening and welcome to “Conservative Viewpoint.” | 晚上好 欢迎收看《保守观点》 |
[05:00] | I’m your host, Philip Crane. | 我是主持人菲利普·克莱恩 |
[05:02] | My guest tonight hails from our home state of Illinois. | 我今晚的嘉宾来自我们家乡州 伊利诺伊州 |
[05:04] | She burst onto the national scene in 1964, | 她于1964年步入国家舞台 |
[05:07] | when she wrote “A Choice Not an Echo,” | 当时她出版了《一个选择不是一声回响》 |
[05:09] | which sold 3 million copies | 该书售出了三百万本 |
[05:11] | and was widely credited with helping Barry Goldwater | 并被广泛认为帮助巴里·戈德华特 |
[05:13] | secure the Republican presidential nomination. | 拿到了共和党总统提名 |
[05:16] | She has since authored four books on nuclear strategy | 她此后又出版了四本书 关于核策略 |
[05:19] | and served in national party offices. | 还在国家党派办公室任了职 |
[05:21] | Please welcome Phyllis Schlafly. | 有请菲莉丝·施拉夫利 |
[05:23] | – Well, thank you for having me. – Absolutely. | -多谢邀请我 -不客气 |
[05:25] | You know, I gotta know… | 我必须问问 |
[05:27] | How does a housewife with six children from Alton, Illinois, | 一位伊利诺伊州奥顿的六个孩子的主妇妈妈 |
[05:31] | become so interested in national defense and nuclear warfare? | 是怎么会对国家国防和核战争如此感兴趣 |
[05:34] | Well, I was at Washington University | 二战爆发时 |
[05:37] | studying political science when World War II broke out, | 我就在华盛顿大学学习政治科学 |
[05:40] | and I worked nights as a gunner and a ballistics technician. | 我晚上就做炮手和弹道技术员 |
[05:43] | – A regular Rosie the Riveter. – Yes, that’s right, so– | -铆工露斯那样的女强人呢 -是啊 所以… |
[05:46] | Uh, tonight’s topic is the crisis | 今晚的话题是 |
[05:48] | in America’s defense posture, | 美国防御部署危机 |
[05:49] | specifically the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks, or SALT. | 准确说是限制战略武器谈判 |
[05:54] | Now should we accept a deal with a regime as reprehensible | 我们是否该与勃列日涅夫领导的苏联 |
[05:58] | as Brezhnev’s Soviet Union? From a defense standpoint, | 这种不义政权达成协议 从国防角度讲 |
[06:00] | this pact serves certain common interests– | 这项协议能实现双赢 |
[06:02] | namely, the avoidance of nuclear war. | 即避免核战争 |
[06:05] | You would agree with that assessment, Phyllis? | 这你同意吧 菲莉丝 |
[06:07] | – Well, not entirely, no. – Not entirely? | -也不完全同意 -不完全同意吗 |
[06:10] | Which part don’t you agree with? | 你不同意哪部分 |
[06:12] | Well, I’m afraid all of it, Phil. | 恐怕完全不同意 菲尔 |
[06:14] | You see, the U. S. delegation | 美国代表团 |
[06:17] | has naively been telling the Russians, you know, | 一直在天真地对苏联说 |
[06:19] | “Peace is wonderful. Try it. You’ll like it.” | “和平很不错 试试吧 你们准喜欢” |
[06:20] | It’s like Life cereal. | 就像生活麦片广告 |
[06:22] | But I think they’re gonna get the last laugh | 但我认为最终得意的会是他们 |
[06:24] | because the only country that’s gonna comply | 因为只有美国才会 |
[06:26] | with the pact is the United States. | 遵守协议 |
[06:28] | They don’t comply, we’ll know, won’t we? | 他们不遵守我们不就知道了吗 |
[06:30] | The experts maintain we have the most advanced satellite | 专家坚持我们拥有全世界 |
[06:32] | – technology systems in the world. – Yes, but these are | -最先进的卫星科技系统 -是的 但是 |
[06:33] | the same experts that didn’t find the missiles | 就是这些专家 1962年没能发现 |
[06:35] | that went into Cuba in 1962. | 进入古巴的导弹 |
[06:38] | I mean, they didn’t even detect the Soviet-built MiG-17 | 他们两年前也没发现苏联产米格17战机 |
[06:40] | flying from Cuba to Homestead Air Force Base | 从佛罗里达州飞去了霍姆斯泰德 |
[06:42] | in Florida two years ago. | 空军基地 |
[06:46] | Uh, so you think we’re proceeding down the wrong path | 所以你觉得谈判是条 |
[06:49] | with the SALT talks. | 错误路线吗 |
[06:50] | Yeah, well, not only are we proceeding | 我们不仅走错了路 |
[06:51] | down the wrong path, Phil, | 菲尔 |
[06:52] | but Nixon’s leading the parade. | 尼克松还在牵头 |
[06:57] | All right. Well, we will be right back | 好吧 我们就回来 |
[06:59] | after this commercial on more Strategic Arms Limitation Talks. | 广告后 继续讨论限制战略武器谈判 |
[07:03] | Cut. | 停 |
[07:05] | And I am having so much fun. | 我真是好开心 |
[07:14] | Well, that was…electrifying. | 真是太精彩了 |
[07:18] | You are–Wow. | 你真是… |
[07:20] | You are a star. | 你真是个明星 |
[07:27] | These sound guys–you know, they listen to everything. | 这些收音的家伙 他们什么都听得到 |
[07:31] | Am I gonna see you on the campaign trail? | 你会参加竞选宣传吗 |
[07:33] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[07:35] | I have to see what the county chairman decides. | 得看看郡主席的意思 |
[07:37] | I’ve already lost twice. | 我都输两次了 |
[07:38] | Well, the third time’s a charm. | 第三次准成功 |
[07:40] | You know, there’s things you can do | 你可以想办法 |
[07:42] | to get these county chairmen to come knock on your door. | 让这些郡主席来上门求你 |
[07:45] | I can introduce you to some money guys. | 我可以介绍些金主给你 |
[07:49] | When are you next in D.C.? | 你下次什么时候来华府 |
[07:52] | – I’m not sure. – Well, Ashbrook and I | -我不确定 -我和阿什布鲁克 |
[07:54] | are setting up a meeting with Goldwater. | 约好要见戈德华特 |
[07:56] | He’s our best hope at convincing Nixon not to sign this treaty. | 他是我们说服尼克松不签协议的最大希望 |
[08:00] | And I think you should come for that. | 我觉得你也该去 |
[08:02] | Really? | 是吗 |
[08:03] | You know more than any of us about SALT. | 你比我们都更了解谈判 |
[08:06] | Well, that would be wonderful. Thank you. | 那就太好了 谢谢 |
[08:26] | – You tried Marshall Field’s? – Mm-hmm, yes. | -你去过马歇尔·菲尔德了吗 -嗯 |
[08:29] | – How about Scrugg’s? – Yes. | -那斯格斯呢 -去了 |
[08:32] | Oh, nothing at Scrugg’s? | 斯格斯也没有吗 |
[08:33] | Well, yes, but she says nothing fits. | 有 但她说没有合身的 |
[08:36] | Well, I’ll have to go back in the city and look some more. | 我只能再去城里找了 |
[08:38] | Your sister can’t do it? She lives right there. | 你妹妹不能去吗 她就住那里 |
[08:40] | No. She works. | 不 她有工作 |
[08:43] | I…work. | 我只是瞎忙活 |
[08:44] | – You’re a good daughter. – You’re coming, right? | -你是个好女儿 -你来吧 |
[08:48] | I don’t think so. | 恐怕不能 |
[08:50] | The girls will want their Aunt Eleanor there. | 姑娘们会希望埃莉诺姑妈去的 |
[08:54] | We only call it the Mother-Daughter luncheon | 我们称之为母女午餐会 |
[08:56] | because we’re trying to attract a younger generation. | 只是为了吸引年轻一代 |
[08:59] | It’s not literal. | 并不非得是母女 |
[09:00] | It’s open to any member of the DAR. | 美国革命妇女会的所有成员都可以来 |
[09:02] | Willie just pulled these out of the oven. | 薇莉刚从烤炉里端出来的 |
[09:04] | – Snuck you a couple. – Thank you, Leonia. | -给你拿来了几个 -谢谢你 莉奥妮娅 |
[09:08] | Andy was looking for his Little League uniform. | 安迪之前找不到他的小联盟制服了 |
[09:11] | Oh, it’s still in the dryer, Miss Schlafly. | 还在烘干机里呢 施拉夫利小姐 |
[09:13] | – Thank you. – Thank you. | -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[09:21] | Do you remember Raymond Bacha? | 你记得雷蒙德·巴卡吗 |
[09:23] | Yeah, I saw him at Phil Crane’s fundraiser. | 我在菲尔·克莱恩的筹款会上见到了他 |
[09:26] | – He’s divorced now. – Oh, that’s too bad. | -他离婚了 -那真遗憾 |
[09:33] | – Oh, no. No. No. – He’s nice-looking, | -不不不 -他还挺帅 |
[09:36] | and his children are mostly grown. | 他孩子基本也成年了 |
[09:38] | Do you want me to talk to Fred? | 要我找弗莱德说说吗 |
[09:40] | I think he represented him once. | 他好像代理过他 |
[09:42] | – I don’t think so. – He’s Catholic. | -算了吧 -他是天主教徒 |
[09:49] | He is nice-looking. | 他是挺帅的 |
[09:54] | What are you smiling about? | 你笑什么呢 |
[09:58] | The judges approved the redistricting plan. | 法官通过了选区重划计划 |
[10:04] | “The new map could mean the defeat | 新选区划分或将决定 |
[10:06] | “Of downstate Democrat Representative George E. Shipley | 南部边远地区的23选区的民主党议员 |
[10:09] | of the 23rd district.” | 乔治·E·希普利落选 |
[10:11] | I need to talk to Fred. W-Would you… | 我得去找弗莱德 你能… |
[10:14] | – Drop Andy off at practice. – Thank you! | -送安迪去训练 -谢谢 |
[10:17] | – Well, what do you think of him? – Well, I don’t. | -你怎么看他 -我不怎么看他 |
[10:21] | Hmm, but you’re friendly enough to call him. | 但你们的关系能打个电话吧 |
[10:23] | Well, I guess so, but why am I calling him? | 大概吧 我为什么要打给他 |
[10:26] | To introduce him to your sister. | 把他介绍给你妹妹 |
[10:28] | – But why? – Oh. Because he’s divorced. | -为什么啊 -因为他离婚了 |
[10:32] | Well, Eleanor’s too old for him. | 埃莉诺配他太老了 |
[10:34] | No, he’s older than she is. | 才不 他比她老 |
[10:36] | Raymond is a very successful man. | 雷蒙德可是个成功人士 |
[10:37] | If he remarries, it’ll be to someone much younger. | 如果他再婚 肯定找个年轻得多的 |
[10:41] | Don’t give me that look. It’s biology. | 别那么看我 这是生物决定的 |
[10:43] | That is not biology. | 那才不是呢 |
[10:45] | I married someone much younger. | 我就娶了个年轻很多的 |
[10:47] | And here I thought you married me for my mind. | 我还以为你是看上我的脑子了 |
[10:49] | Not only did I marry you for your mind, | 我不仅看上你的脑子了 |
[10:51] | it’s the reason I fall more in love with you every day. | 我也是因此每天都更爱你了 |
[10:53] | I just love to watch the way your mind works. | 我就喜欢看你脑子运转的方式 |
[10:56] | Well, can you see the way it’s working right now? | 你能看到它现在在怎么运转吗 |
[10:59] | Let’s see. This morning, | 我想想 今晚 |
[11:01] | I noticed that article in the paper | 我注意到报纸上报道了 |
[11:02] | about the remapping of congressional districts. | 国会选区的重新划分 |
[11:05] | Next thing you know, my wife shows up at the office | 紧接着 我老婆就跑来了办公室 |
[11:07] | under the pretext of buying my mother-in-law a dress. | 还借口说是为了给我岳母买裙子 |
[11:10] | Oh, I do need to buy mother a dress. | 我的确需要给妈妈买条裙子 |
[11:13] | The muffins are the pretext. | 玛芬蛋糕才是借口 |
[11:17] | Don’t forget to sign the charge card application. | 别忘记签信用卡申请 |
[11:21] | I know you don’t want to hear this, | 我知道你不想听这话 |
[11:23] | but, uh, our district has only changed | 但我们选区只是从 |
[11:25] | from slightly Democratic to slightly Republican. | 偏向民主党变成了偏向共和党 |
[11:28] | Well, I was only slightly defeated. | 那我也只是偏向落选 |
[11:31] | You have a nice home here. You can do whatever you like. | 你在这里有美满的家庭 你想做什么都行 |
[11:34] | Write books, your newsletter. Give lectures. | 写书 你的时事通讯 做讲座 |
[11:38] | In Congress, I would have influence. | 在国会 我能拥有影响力 |
[11:41] | I could get on the Armed Services Committee. | 我可以进入三军委员会 |
[11:42] | They’ll put you on Natural Resources or Judiciary | 他们会让你进自然资源委员会或司法委员会 |
[11:45] | and expect you to toe the party line. | 并指望你按党派投票 |
[11:46] | Isn’t this why we got involved in politics–to do our duty? | 难道这不正是我们加入政界的原因吗 尽责 |
[11:50] | To guarantee that our children grow up | 确保我们的孩子能在 |
[11:52] | in a free and independent country? | 自由独立的国家长大 |
[11:54] | That’s a nice trick, repeating me back to me. | 真聪明 把我的话说回给我听 |
[11:58] | Still, I haven’t recovered | 可我还没从 |
[11:59] | from all the money I sunk into your last bid. | 上次投给你打水漂的钱里缓过来呢 |
[12:05] | What about Clem? | 那克莱姆呢 |
[12:07] | I don’t know. Maybe you could run into him at the club. | 比如…你可以在俱乐部里遇见他 |
[12:09] | I heard there were muffins. | 听说有玛芬蛋糕 |
[12:11] | – May I? – I brought them for the office. | -可以拿点吗 -我为全办公室拿的 |
[12:14] | Ooh. Nancy won’t keep any sweets around the house. | 南茜不在家里放甜食 |
[12:16] | She wants to try to lose the baby weight. | 她想减掉产后肥 |
[12:17] | How is the baby? | 宝宝怎么样了 |
[12:19] | Oh, he mostly just sits there. | 他大多时候就坐在那里 |
[12:20] | Nancy keeps telling me to talk to him, | 南茜总叫我跟他说话 |
[12:22] | but what am I supposed to talk to him about, Vietnam? | 但我该跟他说什么啊 越战吗 |
[12:25] | These are delicious. | 真好吃 |
[12:26] | Have you ever thought about starting a baking business? | 你考虑过开家烘培房吗 |
[12:30] | No, I’ve never thought about that. | 不 我没考虑过 |
[12:40] | I, uh, I’ll talk to Clem. | 我会去找克莱姆的 |
[12:44] | Will you invite him and Jessie for dinner? | 请他和杰茜来吃饭吧 |
[12:48] | So I can be there. | 这样我就能见上他了 |
[13:15] | But everyone keeps telling me it’s more convenient. | 但大家都跟我说这样更方便 |
[13:17] | Formula just doesn’t have all the vitamins | 奶粉缺乏宝宝身体 |
[13:19] | your baby needs for his immune system. | 需要的各种维生素 |
[13:21] | And it doesn’t help you lose the baby weight. | 也不能帮你剪掉产后肥 |
[13:22] | Oh, I thought that was a myth. | 我以为那是传说 |
[13:24] | No, let me tell you something. | 我跟你说吧 |
[13:25] | I was 40 by the time I nursed Anne, and after six months, | 我喂安时都40岁了 六个月后 |
[13:28] | I weighed the same I did on the day I was married. | 我体重恢复到了结婚那天 |
[13:30] | Still do. You looked teeny-tiny like Cheryl Tiegs | 现在也是 你好娇小 像菲尔·克莱恩 |
[13:34] | on Phil Crane’s show, and supposedly, | 节目上的谢丽尔·提格丝 而且据说 |
[13:36] | those television cameras add 10 pounds. | 摄像机拍出来的人还胖呢 |
[13:38] | You watched it. | 你看了 |
[13:39] | Of course I did. I’m your biggest booster. | 当然 我是你最大的支持者 |
[13:43] | Although, I have to be honest. | 不过 老实说 |
[13:44] | I was surprised that you didn’t come out strongly | 我很意外你没有强势表示 |
[13:46] | against the Equal Rights Amendment. | 反对《平等权利修正案》 |
[13:48] | Oh, I don’t know what all the fuss is about. | 我都不知道那是在闹腾什么 |
[13:49] | I mean, there are so many more pressing issues | 现在有好多更要紧的问题啊 |
[13:51] | like national security. | 比如国家安全 |
[13:53] | Well, this is a matter of national security. | 这就是国家安全的问题 |
[13:55] | They’re going to ship our daughters off to Vietnam. | 他们要把女儿们送去越南 |
[13:57] | Women could be subject to the draft? | 女性也能被征兵吗 |
[13:59] | And I heard it would get rid of alimony. | 我听说还要废除赡养费 |
[14:00] | – Oh, I heard that, too. – Buck could walk out on me | -这我也听说了 -巴克可以抛弃我 |
[14:02] | after 25 years without paying a dime. | 这个25年的妻子 还一分不用给 |
[14:04] | I’d be left with nothing. | 我会一无所有 |
[14:05] | You know, this would be a good topic for the luncheon. | 这很适合在午餐会上谈 |
[14:08] | I’m not the only one concerned. | 我不是唯一担心的人 |
[14:09] | Buck’s never going to leave you. | 巴克才不会抛弃你 |
[14:11] | Oh, only because I’d kill him if he did. | 因为如果他敢我就杀了他 |
[14:14] | You have nothing to worry about. | 你是不需要担心 |
[14:15] | You have skills and been politicking for years. | 你有本事 还从政了这么多年 |
[14:18] | Well, yes, but I barely receive an income for it. | 是啊 但我又不能凭此挣钱 |
[14:21] | I mean, I couldn’t do what I do without Fred’s support. | 没有弗莱德的支持我什么都做不了 |
[14:23] | Still, you’re not just a housewife. | 但你并非只是个主妇 |
[14:26] | You’re never just a housewife. | 人才不会只是个主妇 |
[14:28] | There’s no more important job for a woman. | 对于女人 那就是最重要的工作 |
[14:30] | Well, tell that to the host of the dinner party | 去跟我们上周受邀参加的 |
[14:32] | we were invited to last week. | 晚餐会的主人说吧 |
[14:34] | He was introducing everyone at the table. | 他介绍了桌上的来宾 |
[14:37] | Two of the wives work. | 两位妻子都有工作 |
[14:38] | One’s a lawyer. One’s in business. | 一个是律师 一个是商人 |
[14:40] | And after he introduced Buck, he skips over me completely, | 他介绍完了巴克 直接跳过了我 |
[14:44] | doesn’t even say my name. | 都不提我的名字 |
[14:47] | Thank you, Gloria Steinem. | 谢谢了 格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 |
[14:52] | The rest of them I understand, but Gloria Steinem– | 其他人我还能理解 但格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 |
[14:54] | she’s so pretty. How could she not find a husband? | 她那么漂亮 为什么找不到丈夫 |
[14:58] | She doesn’t want one. | 她不想要丈夫 |
[14:59] | That’s the whole point of the women’s liberation movement– | 那就是女性解放运动的意义所在 |
[15:02] | to be liberated from men. | 要摆脱男性 |
[15:04] | I thought the point was to be liberated from housework. | 我以为是要摆脱家务呢 |
[15:07] | Your mother’s all done. | 你妈妈完成了 |
[15:09] | Didn’t she do a wonderful job? | 她做得多棒 |
[15:12] | Thank you so much. It’s beautiful. | 非常感谢 太好看了 |
[15:16] | You hate it. | 你不喜欢吧 |
[15:18] | I hate it. | 是啊 |
[15:33] | Do you need any help? | 你需要帮助吗 |
[15:39] | Mother? | 妈妈 |
[15:45] | I think that’s the one. | 就这件吧 |
[15:48] | You don’t think it’s big in the shoulders? | 你不觉得肩部太宽吗 |
[15:51] | We could take it to my seamstress. | 我们可以找我的裁缝改改 |
[15:55] | Let me take another look. | 让我再看一眼 |
[16:02] | You have to wind the clock every seven days, | 你每隔七天就得给钟上次发条 |
[16:04] | or it stops working. | 不然它就不走了 |
[16:05] | Well, I can’t find the crank. I should just get rid of it. | 我找不到曲柄了 我该直接丢掉 |
[16:09] | You can’t get rid of Daddy’s clock. | 你不能丢掉爸爸的钟 |
[16:12] | I’ll take it. | 我拿走吧 |
[16:14] | It is smart. | 挺好看的 |
[16:16] | It’s very smart. | 非常好看 |
[16:21] | Did you…forget to pay some bills? | 你…忘记付账了吗 |
[16:23] | Why are you going through my things? | 你干吗翻我东西 |
[16:25] | I wasn’t going through your things, Mother. | 我没有 妈妈 |
[16:26] | They just jumped out. Do you need me to help you manage them? | 我就是一眼看到了 需要我帮忙吗 |
[16:33] | Have you run through your savings? | 你的积蓄花光了吗 |
[16:36] | I can’t live on my Social Security check. | 我不能靠我的社保金生活 |
[16:39] | Your father didn’t work | 你父亲的工作时间 |
[16:40] | – long enough to be eligible… – I know. | -不够长 不能… -我知道 |
[16:42] | …for a pension. | 领取养老金 |
[16:44] | – He was many wonderful things. – Mother, please don’t start. | -他有很多美好的地方 -妈妈 别又来 |
[16:48] | But a good provider was not one of them. | 但并不是很会养家 |
[16:52] | You’re very lucky you have Fred. | 你有弗莱德真是走运 |
[16:56] | Remember to thank him for me. | 记住替我谢他 |
[16:57] | – Oh, yeah. – For the dress. | -嗯 -这件裙子 |
[17:00] | It’s, uh…I love it. | 我很喜欢 |
[17:17] | Can I have one? | 我能吃一个吗 |
[17:18] | You’ll ruin your appetite. | 会破坏你的胃口的 |
[17:19] | – Hi, Mommy. – Hello! | -妈妈 -你好 |
[17:22] | The spinach soufflé will be ready in 10 minutes. | 菠菜蛋奶酥10分钟后好 |
[17:24] | Everything else is on top of the stove. | 其他东西都在炉台上 |
[17:25] | Thank you, Willie. Mr. Schlafly home? | 谢谢 薇莉 施拉夫利先生回家了吗 |
[17:28] | Not yet. | 还没 |
[17:30] | Alice came by and dropped this off for you. | 爱丽丝来过 给你拿了这个 |
[17:52] | Uh, Andy. Make yourself useful. Ring for dinner. | 安迪 帮帮忙 叫大家吃饭 |
[17:54] | Phyl, would you? Anne, help your sister. | 菲菲 你…安 帮帮你姐姐 |
[17:58] | How did it go? | 怎么样 |
[17:59] | Can I take my coat off at least and settle in? | 可以至少让我先脱了大衣吗 |
[18:01] | Here. Let me get that for you. Who was there? | 来 我帮你 都谁在 |
[18:03] | The usual crowd, Foster, Jerry. | 就平常那些人 福斯特 杰瑞 |
[18:07] | So? What did Clem say? | 怎么样 克莱姆怎么说 |
[18:10] | Can we talk about this after dinner? | 能不能晚饭后再说 |
[18:11] | Oh, of course. | 当然 |
[18:17] | Can you just tell me what he said? | 你告诉我他说了什么吧 |
[18:18] | I invited him to dinner like we discussed. | 我像我们说好的请他来吃饭了 |
[18:21] | – No running, please. – Sorry, Mom. | -别跑 -抱歉 妈妈 |
[18:24] | – When? – Linda’s handling it. | -什么时候 -琳达在处理了 |
[18:27] | But he thinks it’s a good idea. | 但他挺赞成的 |
[18:29] | I’m sorry, I’m sorry. | 抱歉 |
[18:30] | It’s just very exciting. | 我就是激动嘛 |
[18:33] | Now it would be terrific if the dinner could happen | 如果这顿饭能在我去华府前进行 |
[18:35] | before my trip to D.C. | 就再好不过了 |
[18:38] | What trip to D.C.? | 什么去华府 |
[18:41] | The Goldwater meeting about SALT. | 去见戈德华特 说谈判的事 |
[18:43] | How long will you be gone? | 你要去多久 |
[18:45] | It’s just for the day. Eleanor will be here. | 就当天 埃莉诺会在家 |
[18:47] | I don’t know how you can stand that place. | 真不知你怎么受得了那里 |
[18:50] | Well, I don’t love Washington either. | 我也不喜欢华盛顿 |
[18:53] | – But, Fred, if I win– – I-I am not moving our family | -但弗莱德 如果我赢了 -我可不要把一家 |
[18:56] | to that lefty, godless swampland. | 搬去那个左派无神的臭地方 |
[18:58] | Well, the National Air and Space Museum’s nice. | 国家航空航天博物馆 |
[19:00] | I’m not, uh, telling you not to run. | 我不是叫你别竞选 |
[19:02] | I’m just telling you, I am staying here in Alton. | 我是说 我不会离开奥顿 |
[19:05] | I’ll commute back and forth. | 那我来回跑吧 |
[19:07] | Oh, and how would that work with the children | 那孩子们和你妈妈 |
[19:10] | – and, uh, your mother? – I’ll…figure it out. | -怎么办 -我会想办法的 |
[19:14] | You know, it’s what congressmen do. | 议员都会这样 |
[19:16] | They stay in their district. | 他们会留在自己选区 |
[19:18] | Well, it’s different for a man to leave his wife home | 男人离开妻子去华盛顿 |
[19:20] | and go to Washington than it is for a woman | 跟女人抛下一家人 |
[19:22] | to leave her whole family. It’s just plain different. | 这是不一样的 这完全就不一样 |
[19:26] | Do you want me not to run? | 你希望我不竞选吗 |
[19:28] | That’s your decision. | 那是你的决定 |
[19:30] | Is it? | 是吗 |
[19:31] | Well, I’m not going to apologize for asking my wife | 我不会为请求我妻子别让家庭分离 |
[19:34] | not to split up the family. | 而道歉的 |
[19:35] | Now you’re just being ridiculous. | 你这就太荒唐了 |
[19:38] | I will make it work, Fred. You won’t have to do a thing. | 我会想办法的 弗莱德 你不用做什么 |
[19:42] | ‘Cause I don’t understand what’s changed. | 因为我不知道哪里不同了 |
[19:43] | You supported my run two years ago. | 你两年前支持我竞选了 |
[19:52] | You didn’t think I would win. | 你没觉得我会赢 |
[20:12] | Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts | 天主 为你所赐的一切恩惠 |
[20:14] | which we’re about to receive from Thy bounty, | 我们诚心赞颂感激你 |
[20:17] | through Christ, our Lord. Amen. | 因为我们的主基督 阿门 |
[21:03] | Make your way over to the Capitol Building | 为《平等权利修正案》 |
[21:06] | for the Equal Rights Amendment. | 前往国会大厦 |
[21:14] | Congresswoman Chisholm, do you foresee any opposition | 奇泽姆众议员 你今天在众议院的辩论中 |
[21:16] | against the Equal Rights Amendment | 是否遭遇了任何 |
[21:18] | in today’s debate in the House? | 反对《平等权利修正案》的声音 |
[21:19] | Yeah, there will be a handful of congressmen | 肯定会有很多众议员 |
[21:21] | who will oppose the ERA based on the belief | 反对《平权修正案》 因为他们相信 |
[21:23] | that women have their place and must be kept in it | 女性有属于她们的位置 而且为了她们好 |
[21:26] | for their own good, but that belief is dying. | 得让她们留在那里 但这种想法在绝迹 |
[21:29] | Now the truth is, women have been protected | 事实上 经济好的时候 |
[21:32] | from working as waitresses at night | 女服务员不用 |
[21:34] | when the tips are large, | 晚上去工作 |
[21:35] | but they have never been protected | 但如果她们只能去做清洁工 |
[21:38] | when working as charwomen, scrubbing floors all night. | 整晚刷地板 就失去了保护 |
[21:42] | We don’t need anybody to protect us. | 我们不再需要人保护我们了 |
[21:51] | Well, it’s not that I don’t want to help you get | 我不是不想帮你把车库里的 |
[21:53] | the raccoon out of your garage. | 浣熊赶走 |
[21:54] | It’s just that Woodside is not in my district. | 但伍德赛德不是我的选区 |
[22:00] | I’ll tell you what. I’m gonna have my office | 这样吧 我会让我办公室 |
[22:01] | transfer you to your actual member of Congress. | 给你转接你的众议员 |
[22:03] | I don’t know if he answers his own phone. Let’s find out. | 我不知道他会不会接 试试看吧 |
[22:06] | Sharon, line one is for Pucinski’s office. | 莎伦 1号线接普切斯基办公室 |
[22:08] | – You answer your own phone. – A few times a week, yes. | -你亲自接电话呢 -每周几次吧 |
[22:11] | Otherwise, I…I lose sight of the real issues | 不然 我无法了解真正在 |
[22:14] | that affect my constituents like a backed-up sewer, | 困扰我选民的问题 比如下水道堵塞 |
[22:17] | a missing “TV Guide,” Or a raccoon | 失踪的《电视导视》 或一只浣熊 |
[22:19] | that has wandered into some guy’s garage. | 钻进了谁家的车库里 |
[22:22] | You’re early. | 你早到了 |
[22:24] | Were you hoping to catch some of the ERA debate? | 你是想赶上看看《平权修正案》辩论吗 |
[22:25] | – Oh, no. – Yeah, I didn’t think so. | -不是 -我猜也是 |
[22:27] | And why not? | 为什么 |
[22:29] | Well, you are wearing a dress. | 你穿了裙子 |
[22:30] | Oh, libbers don’t wear dresses? | 女权分子不穿裙子吗 |
[22:31] | – Not pink ones. – Well, actually, | -不会穿粉裙子 -其实 |
[22:33] | – it’s dusty rose. – Actually, it is distracting. | -这叫灰玫色 -其实 这让人分心 |
[22:38] | Now I was hoping to have that talk about, uh, the, uh, | 我希望见戈德华特前 |
[22:41] | campaign financing before the meeting with Goldwater. | 能先谈谈竞选资助的事 |
[22:44] | Right, well, certainly his endorsement | 是啊 如果他能赞助 |
[22:46] | would mean a great deal to donors. | 对选民会产生很大影响 |
[22:47] | Oh, well, as will yours. | 对你也是 |
[22:49] | My schedule’s a little tight today, | 我今天的日程比较忙 |
[22:50] | but why don’t we have drinks afterwards? | 但我们之后一起喝酒吧 |
[22:52] | Oh, well, I’m not much of a drinker, so… | 我酒量不太好 |
[22:55] | Oh, well, so don’t drink. Watch me drink. | 那就别喝 你看我喝 |
[22:56] | Or better yet, let’s have dinner. | 或是 我们一起吃晚饭吧 |
[22:58] | You ever been to Duke’s? | 你去过公爵餐厅吗 |
[22:59] | Right, well, I am scheduled to fly out before dinnertime, | 好吧 我本打算晚餐前飞回去的 |
[23:01] | but you, uh, mentioned you could introduce me | 但你之前说你能介绍我 |
[23:03] | to the right people. Perhaps, uh, Bob Dole? | 认识合适的人 或许鲍勃·道尔 |
[23:06] | We would probably run into him at Duke’s. | 我们可能会在公爵餐厅遇见他 |
[23:09] | Come on. You’ll love it. A lot of lobbyists hang out there. | 来吧 你肯定喜欢 很多说客在那里工作 |
[23:11] | A lot of PAC money to be had. | 能拿到很多政治行动委员会资金 |
[23:14] | Can you fly out in the morning? | 你不能早上再飞回去吗 |
[23:17] | Well, I guess so. Uh… | 也可以吧 |
[23:30] | Hello. Senator Goldwater’s office. | 喂 戈德华特参议员办公室 |
[23:41] | Well, if you’re not gonna vote for the ERA | 如果你不肯给《平权修正案》投票 |
[23:43] | because you think it will boost your maverick image, | 是因为你觉得那会有助你的阳刚形象 |
[23:45] | let me tell you, Senator, it won’t. | 那我告诉你 参议员 你想错了 |
[23:47] | It will boost your image as a chauvinist pig. | 只会让你显得像只沙文主义猪 |
[23:49] | I don’t care. I answer to a higher authority. | 我不管 我要向更高的力量负责 |
[23:52] | Your constituents will hold you accountable | 你的选民会在下次选举里 |
[23:54] | in the next election. | 拿你是问 |
[23:55] | I meant God, but what would you know about that? | 我是指上帝 但你肯定不会了解了 |
[23:58] | Or Arizona. It’s all Republican all the time. | 或是亚利桑那州 那里一直是共和党的天下 |
[24:01] | That’s the beauty of the place. | 那正是那里的美妙之处 |
[24:02] | Don’t look at me like that, Bella. I’m voting for it. | 别那么看我 贝拉 我支持修正案 |
[24:04] | Well, you, I like. | 我喜欢你 |
[24:07] | Hi, Barry. You know Phyllis. | 巴里 你认识菲莉丝 |
[24:09] | Phyllis, nice to see you. | 菲莉丝 见到你很高兴 |
[24:11] | Oh, the pleasure’s all mine, Senator. | 荣幸的是我 参议员 |
[24:13] | What do you make of all this ERA business? | 你怎么看《平权修正案》的事 |
[24:16] | It’s not her area of expertise. | 那不是她的专长 |
[24:17] | She’s a woman. | 她是女人 |
[24:18] | Yes, I think I can speak from my own experience. | 是的 就我自己的经验来说 |
[24:20] | I’ve–I’ve never been discriminated against, | 我从未感到受了歧视 |
[24:23] | and I think some women like to blame sexism | 我觉得有些女人喜欢把 |
[24:25] | for their failures instead of admitting | 自己不够努力导致的失败 |
[24:26] | they didn’t try hard enough, so good for you for opposing it. | 归咎于性别歧视 你能反对它真是好样的 |
[24:29] | Well, not so good. I’m the only one. | 也没那么好 我是孤军奋战 |
[24:32] | We know you’re short on time, Barry, | 我们知道你时间紧 巴里 |
[24:33] | so, uh, I’ll cut to the chase. We need your help. | 我就直说了 我们需要你帮忙 |
[24:36] | You have Nixon’s ear. He must be convinced not to sign | 你能给尼克松吹风 必须说服他 |
[24:39] | any arms control treaty with Moscow. | 不跟莫斯科签订武器限制协议 |
[24:41] | Oh, if, uh, if you don’t mind, | 如果可以 |
[24:43] | we’d rather this meeting stay off the record. | 我们不希望这次会议被记录 |
[24:46] | Margaret? | 玛格丽特 |
[24:50] | This is Neville Chamberlain all over again. | 又是内维尔·张伯伦那套绥靖政策 |
[24:52] | Well, look, I know you’re not going to want to hear this, | 我知道你们不想听到这个 |
[24:55] | but he’s determined to sign a treaty. | 但他已决心签订协议了 |
[24:57] | Well, I think we should focus specifically | 我觉得我们该重点关注 |
[25:00] | on our biggest concerns in the treaty, | 协议里最令人担忧的部分 |
[25:03] | which are the ABM limitations. | 也就是反弹道导弹限制 |
[25:05] | Now our superiority in MIRVs does not compensate | 我们在多弹头分导再入飞行器上的优势并不能抵消 |
[25:09] | for the Russian superiority in ICBMs, SS-9s– | 苏联在洲际弹道导弹 SS9上的优势 |
[25:12] | Hey, listen, could– could you take notes for us, | 那个 你可以帮我们记笔记吗 |
[25:14] | you know, so that we have an unofficial record? | 这样我们有个私下的记录 |
[25:17] | Well, you probably have the best penmanship of anyone here. | 你可能是这里笔迹最好看的 |
[25:20] | Oh, yes, of course. | 当然了 |
[25:22] | Margaret can grab you a pad. | 玛格丽特可以给你拿个本子 |
[25:26] | Okay. | 好 |
[25:27] | I’ll be right back. | 我就回来 |
[25:32] | It’s a one-sided pact that doesn’t do anything to stop… | 这是单边的协议 根本不能阻止… |
[25:35] | Hello there. You must be Margaret. | 你好 你是玛格丽特吧 |
[25:36] | – Could I have a…A notepad? – Of course. | -可以给我个笔记本吗 -当然 |
[25:52] | Here you go, Ms. Schlafly. | 给 施拉夫利小姐 |
[25:57] | It’s Mrs. Schlafly. | 是施拉夫利太太 |
[26:00] | – I’m married. – I’m so sorry, Mrs. Schlafly. | -我结婚了 -抱歉 施拉夫利太太 |
[26:11] | …advantage in building up their weapons | …让我们暂停武器研究 |
[26:13] | while we’ve been in a weapons freeze? | 而借机研发他们的武器 |
[26:15] | Well, soon we’ll have girls in the foxholes, | 很快女孩们也要上战场 |
[26:17] | and then we’ll really be at a disadvantage. | 那时我们才真处于劣势了 |
[26:22] | Well, I’m sorry. I held my tongue earlier | 抱歉 之前你问我对 |
[26:24] | when you asked me about this ERA, | 《平权修正案》看法时我没说 |
[26:26] | but I have to say, if you’re in favor | 但我得说 如果你支持 |
[26:28] | of this fraudulent amendment, I don’t think you have | 这胡扯的修正案 那我觉得你就 |
[26:31] | any business calling yourself a Republican. | 不该自称为共和党人 |
[26:35] | It’s an innocuous piece of business. | 这事没什么害处 |
[26:37] | H-Have you read it? | 你看过了吗 |
[26:39] | Oh, yes, I have read it, Congressman. | 我看过了 众议员先生 |
[26:42] | Have you read it? | 你看过了吗 |
[26:42] | What do you mean, have I read it? | 你这什么意思 |
[26:44] | – Have you? – Yes. | -你看过了吗 -是的 |
[26:45] | Then what does section two say? | 那第二节说什么了 |
[26:47] | I don’t believe there is a section two. | 没有第二节吧 |
[26:48] | Oh, no, section two | 不 第二节 |
[26:50] | states that “Congress shall have the power | “国会将根据本法案 |
[26:52] | “To enforce, by appropriate legislation, | 通过合理立法 |
[26:54] | the provisions of this article.” | 将有权执行” |
[26:56] | Now if the ERA passes, | 如果《平权修正案》通过 |
[26:58] | it will give the federal government a massive amount of power. | 联邦政府将获得极大权力 |
[27:01] | I mean, are we no longer the party of limited government | 我们难道不再是限制政府权力 |
[27:04] | and states’ rights? | 支持州自治的党派了吗 |
[27:05] | You have no idea the pressure that we’re under. | 你根本不了解我们承受的压力 |
[27:06] | We have to give the women’s movement something. | 我们总得给女权运动点甜头 |
[27:08] | Oh, I think you’ve given them plenty. | 我觉得你们给他们太多了 |
[27:10] | You’ve given them the Pay Equity Act | 《薪酬平等法案》 |
[27:11] | and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, | 《民权法案》第七条 |
[27:14] | both of which I supported, not to mention | 我两项都支持了 更别提 |
[27:16] | women are already protected from discrimination | 根据宪法第14修正案的 |
[27:18] | in the Constitution by the Equal Protection Clause | 《平等保护条款》女性本就已经 |
[27:20] | under the 14th Amendment. | 受到了免歧视保护 |
[27:22] | Now I know of only one law that is discriminatory toward women, | 我只知道一项歧视女性的法律 |
[27:26] | and that is a North Dakota law stipulating that a wife | 也就是北达科他州法律 规定妻子 |
[27:30] | must have her husband’s permission to make wine. | 只有丈夫允许时才能酿酒 |
[27:32] | So if a woman in North Dakota really wants to make wine | 如果北达科他州的女人真的很想酿酒 |
[27:35] | and her husband forbids it, | 而她丈夫又不许 |
[27:36] | she can sue for that right under the 14th Amendment. | 她可以根据第14修正案来起诉 |
[27:39] | Okay. Maybe an amendment is unnecessary, | 好吧 或许修正案是没必要 |
[27:41] | and, yes, maybe we need to do something | 是的 或许我们该对 |
[27:43] | about that second clause, but sometimes we have to vote | 第二条想想办法 但有时我们得投票 |
[27:45] | for laws that are symbolic so we can the Dems to join us | 赞成有象征意义的法律 好让民主党愿意 |
[27:48] | in passing more substantive items on our agenda | 为对我们更有实际意义的法案投票 |
[27:50] | like tax reform. | 如税务改革 |
[27:51] | Well, I hope your tax reform bill is worth | 希望税务改革值得你 |
[27:53] | writing off the 40 million homemakers | 放弃那四千万主妇 |
[27:55] | for whom the ERA is not symbolic. | 对于她们《平权修正案》可不是象征性的 |
[27:58] | The women I know are terrified. | 我认识的女人都害怕极了 |
[27:59] | They don’t want to be drafted into combat duty, | 她们可不想被征兵去打仗 |
[28:03] | and you’ll have to answer to them come November. | 到11月时 她们会找你算账 |
[28:07] | I’m sorry. If saying all this costs me your endorsement, | 抱歉 如果说这些话让你不愿再支持我了 |
[28:10] | well, so be it. | 那没办法 |
[28:12] | I thought this wasn’t your area of expertise. | 我以为这不是你的专长呢 |
[28:15] | Well, I’ve been reading up. | 我有去了解 |
[28:17] | Well, there’s your stump speech. | 这就是你的巡回讲话了 |
[28:18] | Oh, no, no, no, I’m not interested | 不不 我并不想 |
[28:20] | in running on women’s issues. | 靠女性问题胜选 |
[28:22] | Still, it’s, um, a good spin. | 但你说得很好 |
[28:25] | Of course, if it were possible to get 40 million housewives | 当然 如果这足以让四千万主妇 |
[28:29] | to stop clucking and get out the vote, | 走出家门去投票 |
[28:31] | I would have won the presidency in ’64, | 那我1964年就能赢得总统选举了 |
[28:33] | and Reagan would be in the White House now. | 里根现在就会在白宫了 |
[28:37] | That’s our problem. | 那才是我们的问题 |
[28:46] | I think you’ll do very well here. | 我觉得你能在这里如鱼得水 |
[28:47] | And what exactly does “doing very well here” Mean, Phil? | “在这里如鱼得水”到底什么意思 菲尔 |
[28:50] | Sitting around all day horse trading | 就成天坐在这里 |
[28:52] | about bills you don’t even bother reading? | 拿你都懒得读的法案做交易吗 |
[28:53] | What, is something wrong? | 有什么不对吗 |
[28:54] | Oh, no, I’m just going to try and catch the next flight out. | 不 我还是赶下班飞机回去吧 |
[28:57] | I thought we were gonna have dinner. | 我们不是要一起吃晚饭吗 |
[28:58] | Oh, no, I’ve got to get home. | 不 我得回家了 |
[29:14] | Oh, thank you again for putting the children to bed. | 再次感谢你哄孩子们上床 |
[29:17] | Uh, do you want to take some, uh, food home for the weekend? | 你要拿点食物回家周末吃吗 |
[29:19] | Uh, I broiled a chicken last night. I’ll make a salad. | 我昨晚煮了只鸡 我做沙拉吧 |
[29:23] | Uh, did Fred ever get a chance to talk to Raymond Bacha? | 弗莱德找到机会跟雷蒙德·巴卡说话了吗 |
[29:27] | Uh…I don’t think so. | 好像没有 |
[29:34] | Fred didn’t think it was a good idea. | 弗莱德不太赞同 |
[29:37] | No, I-I figured when you didn’t mention it again… | 不 是因为你没再提 |
[29:41] | so I just– I just thought I’d check. | 我就想问问 |
[29:44] | Oh, Eleanor. | 埃莉诺 |
[29:50] | Oh, your life is so full. | 你的生活多充实 |
[29:53] | Oh, and you have your family and–and your friends. | 而且你还有家人 朋友 |
[29:57] | – You’ve got millions of friends. – Oh, well, yes. | -你有那么多朋友 -是啊 |
[30:00] | You should see the way they steer | 你真该看到我一靠近 |
[30:01] | their daughters away from me when I’m nearby. | 她们就把女儿都赶开的样子 |
[30:04] | It’s like they’re going to catch it. | 就好像怕我把老处女传给她们 |
[30:05] | And your work. | 还有你的工作 |
[30:08] | You’re doing such important work at the foundation. | 你在基金会做的工作如此重要 |
[30:12] | Do you know why I threw myself into the foundation? | 你知道我为何为基金会如此尽心吗 |
[30:17] | You all were busy having babies. | 你们都忙着生孩子呢 |
[30:24] | I…I don’t know why. | 我不知道为什么 |
[30:28] | How come no one wanted to marry me? | 为什么没人想娶我 |
[30:34] | You just had bad luck. | 你只是不走运 |
[30:37] | You know, the war and… | 战争 |
[30:39] | I’m so sorry. You must think I’m pathetic. | 真抱歉 你肯定觉得我很可悲 |
[30:42] | Now stop it. | 别说了 |
[30:44] | You are going through a hard time, that’s all. | 你只是一时难过 |
[30:46] | Now it’ll pass. | 会过去的 |
[30:48] | Now I wanna say this. | 我想说 |
[30:50] | You have been more of a mother to my children | 你对我孩子的好 真像个母亲 |
[30:52] | than most mothers. | 胜过了大部分母亲 |
[30:54] | They adore you. | 他们多爱你 |
[30:55] | Now did I tell you that both Phyl and Anne asked | 我说了吗 菲菲和安都希望 |
[30:58] | if you’re coming to the Mother-Daughter luncheon. | 你参加母女午餐会 |
[31:01] | They want you there. | 她们希望你去 |
[31:03] | So you’re gonna come, and you’re gonna be celebrated, | 你要去 而且你要开开心心 |
[31:06] | and that’s that. | 就这样 |
[31:11] | I should be going. You must be really exhausted. | 我该走了 你肯定累坏了 |
[31:34] | Oh, Anne took forever to go to sleep. | 安好久才睡着 |
[31:37] | Well, I’m happy you’re home. | 我很高兴你回来了 |
[31:40] | No, you were right about Washington. | 你说对了华盛顿 |
[31:43] | It is godless. | 那里是无神 |
[31:46] | I can change that. | 但我能改变那里 |
[31:49] | No, but I need you, Fred. | 不 但我需要你 弗莱德 |
[31:51] | I’m right here. | 我就在这里 |
[31:55] | No, I’ve– I’ve had a really long day. | 不 我今天太累了 |
[31:57] | Oh, wait, wait, where are you going? | 等等 你去哪 |
[31:59] | Just to take out my contacts. They’re killing me. | 就去摘隐形眼镜 我要疼死了 |
[32:01] | Oh, come on, come on. Don’t. | 来嘛 别 |
[32:04] | No, I smell. I’ve been in this dress all day. | 不 我一身味儿 这衣服我穿一天了 |
[32:08] | Well, then let’s get you out of it. | 那帮你脱掉吧 |
[33:09] | If visiting Moscow and Beijing | 如果去莫斯科和北京 |
[33:11] | isn’t enough to pull your support | 还不足以让你撤销 |
[33:12] | of Nixon’s re-election, then I don’t know what is. | 对尼克松连任的支持 那我真没话说了 |
[33:15] | – Who wants tea? – Sure. | -谁想要茶 -好 |
[33:17] | – Clem? – I’ll stick with this. | -克莱姆 -我就喝这个吧 |
[33:19] | – Jessie? – Thank you. | -杰茜 -谢谢 |
[33:20] | I’m not ideological like you. | 我不像你那么看重意识形态 |
[33:22] | It’s like Mark Hanna said, | 就像马克·哈纳说的 |
[33:24] | there are things that are important in politics. | 政治中有两样很重要 |
[33:26] | The first is money, | 第一样是钱 |
[33:27] | and I can’t remember what the second one is. | 我不记得第二样是什么了 |
[33:30] | Détente with China is good for trade, | 缓和跟中国的关系有利于贸易 |
[33:32] | which is good for business. | 有利于生意 |
[33:33] | Still, everyone has their line in the sand. | 但大家都该有底线 |
[33:35] | What if Nixon endorses the ERA? | 如果尼克松支持《平权修正案》呢 |
[33:38] | Well, that affects my business. | 那会影响我的生意 |
[33:40] | Clem is apoplectic about it. | 克莱姆为此要气坏了 |
[33:41] | A billion here, a billion there. | 这里撒点钱 那里撒点钱 |
[33:43] | It starts to run into real money. | 就要开始真触动利益了 |
[33:44] | Well, if it makes it through the Senate, | 如果进入了参议院 |
[33:46] | the insurance industry will be the least of the casualties. | 保险行业还不是受创最重的 |
[33:48] | The left will demand taxpayer-funded abortions, | 左翼要求用纳税人的钱做堕胎 |
[33:50] | state-run daycare centers, women in foxholes. | 州出钱建日托所 女人上战场 |
[33:53] | Sounds a lot like the Kremlin’s agenda. | 听上去像克里姆林宫的想法 |
[33:55] | The problem is, everyone from Kennedy to Wallace | 问题是 从肯尼迪到华莱士 |
[33:58] | seems to be for it, and there’s no organized opposition. | 似乎都在支持 也没人组织反对 |
[34:01] | Well, nobody wants to vote against an amendment | 没人想投票反对一份名为 |
[34:03] | that has the words “Equal rights” in the title. | 《平等权利》的修正案 |
[34:06] | Which is exactly why they put it in the title. | 所以他们才拿这个当名字 |
[34:08] | Which is exactly why we keep losing to them. | 所以我们总输给他们 |
[34:13] | I can’t sleep. | 我睡不着 |
[34:14] | Try counting sheep. | 数数羊 |
[34:16] | Do you wanna come sit with the grownups | 想跟大人一起坐会儿 |
[34:17] | till you get sleepy? | 直到犯困吗 |
[34:19] | Here, let me help with the tea. | 来 我帮你收拾茶 |
[34:22] | Mm. She wrote most of her books | 她好多书都是 |
[34:22] | with this one sitting on her lap while she typed. | 这丫头坐在她腿上时打出来的 |
[34:24] | I think she can handle tea. | 茶她能搞定 |
[34:26] | When you get elected, Phyllis, | 等你当选 菲莉丝 |
[34:27] | you’d better be ready to deal with the libbers. | 你得准备好应付女权分子 |
[34:29] | They’re all over D.C. | 满华府都是他们的人 |
[34:33] | I appreciate your support, but, uh, | 多谢你的支持 |
[34:36] | I’ve decided not to run this year. | 但我已经决定今年不参选了 |
[34:39] | Washington’s broken. | 华盛顿问题太多 |
[34:40] | I think it’s a waste of time to try and fix it. | 我觉得去努力改变那里就是浪费时间 |
[34:43] | I think I can shake things up more effectively | 我觉得我通过在家进行 |
[34:46] | through my grassroots organizing right here at home. | 草根活动 能更有效地影响局面 |
[34:51] | Well…I always say that real change | 我总说 真正的改变 |
[34:55] | comes from the bottom up. | 是自下而上的 |
[34:56] | Besides, my mother will be moving in with us soon. | 而且 我妈妈很快要搬来跟我们住了 |
[34:58] | She’s getting older, so it’s just…not a good time. | 她岁数大了 现在实在不合适 |
[35:17] | Oh, it’s all over the rest. | 弄得到处都是 |
[35:20] | Roger, go make yourself useful. | 罗杰 去帮帮手 |
[35:23] | Those are ready to go out now. | 那些可以拿出去了 |
[35:30] | Now I have, uh, no doubt… | 我相信 |
[35:32] | …that in the, uh, car ride over today, | 今天开车过来的路上 |
[35:36] | that you warned your daughters | 你们肯定都跟女儿们说了 |
[35:37] | that I am Chairman of National Defense | 我是美国革命妇女会的 |
[35:40] | for the Daughters of the American Revolution, | 国防主席 |
[35:43] | and as such, to, uh, prepare themselves | 因此 她们要准备好听一场 |
[35:45] | for a lecture on the, uh, | 讲座了 |
[35:47] | need for an anti-missile defense system… | 关于反导防御系统必要性 |
[35:49] | …or the end of U. S. nuclear superiority. | 或美国核优势终结 |
[35:53] | So it may come as a surprise, uh, you | 所以你们可能会感到惊讶 |
[35:56] | that, uh, today I am not going to talk | 今天我不打算讲 |
[35:59] | about the Soviet military threat but rather another threat– | 苏联的军事威胁 而是要谈另一个威胁 |
[36:05] | a threat to the traditional American family, | 对传统美国家庭的威胁 |
[36:08] | a threat that is just as dangerous | 这个威胁同样危险 |
[36:10] | and even more insidious– | 甚至更加险恶 |
[36:13] | the threat of the women’s liberation movement. | 也就是女性解放运动的威胁 |
[36:16] | But let me be clear. | 我要说清楚 |
[36:18] | I am not against, uh, women succeeding. | 我并不反对女性获得成功 |
[36:21] | I am not against women working outside the home. | 我不反对女性离家工作 |
[36:24] | That’s their choice. | 那是她们的选择 |
[36:25] | But what I am against is a small, elitist group | 但我反对一小股精英团体 |
[36:28] | of Northeastern establishment liberals | 来自东北部建制派的自由党人 |
[36:31] | putting down the homemakers. | 打击主妇 |
[36:34] | Now the libbers love to say | 女权分子特喜欢说 |
[36:37] | that they’re dedicated to choice, | 她们想给女性选择权 |
[36:40] | but if you dare to choose the path of full-time mother, | 但如果你敢选择做全职妈妈 |
[36:44] | well, there must be something wrong with you. | 那你肯定是有问题 |
[36:46] | I mean, if you don’t feel enslaved, | 如果你不觉得被奴役了 |
[36:48] | well, you’re just dumb and unenlightened. | 那你是愚蠢 不明事理 |
[36:50] | In fact, you’re not even a person. | 事实上 你甚至算不上个人 |
[36:54] | ‘Cause, you see, | 因为 |
[36:55] | the women’s liberation movement is basically | 女性解放运动基本上 |
[36:59] | a very negative attitude toward life. | 就是一种很消极的生活态度 |
[37:02] | It–It tells women, | 它告诉女性 |
[37:03] | “Sister, the cards are stacked against you. | “姐妹 命运对你不利 |
[37:06] | “When you wake up in the morning, | 你早上醒来时 |
[37:07] | “You won’t get a job, and if you do, | 别想找到工作 即便你找到了 |
[37:09] | “It won’t be a good one, | 这工作也不好 |
[37:10] | “And if you get a good one, you won’t get promoted, | 你找到了好工作 也别想获得晋升 |
[37:12] | “And if you get married, | 如果你结婚了 |
[37:14] | “Your husband will treat you like a servant, | 你丈夫会拿你当仆人 |
[37:16] | “And marriage is just a lot of dirty diapers and dirty dishes.” | 婚姻充满了脏尿布和脏盘子” |
[37:20] | But don’t take my word for it. | 但别听我说 |
[37:22] | Read their own literature. | 读读她们的作品 |
[37:25] | Betty Friedan, mother of the movement, | 贝蒂·弗莱顿 运动之母 |
[37:27] | wrote in “The Feminine Mystique” | 在《女性奥秘》里写道 |
[37:29] | that marriage is, and I quote, | 婚姻是 原话是 |
[37:32] | “A comfortable concentration camp.” | “舒适的集中营” |
[37:35] | But it is not enough | 但她们不仅 |
[37:36] | that they’re demeaning us in the press. | 满足于在媒体上贬低我们 |
[37:38] | Oh, no. Now they want to use our miraculous Constitution | 不 他们还想利用我们奇妙的宪法 |
[37:44] | to create a sex-neutral society | 创造一个性中立的社会 |
[37:47] | through this so-called Equal Rights Amendment, | 通过这所谓的《平等权利修正案》 |
[37:50] | which will mean that that baby girl will be drafted. | 这将意味着 那个小姑娘能被征兵 |
[37:53] | And the men will be at home, | 而男人则在家里 |
[37:55] | nursing the babies. | 照顾宝宝 |
[37:57] | I mean, can you imagine | 你们能想象 |
[37:58] | if Buck was left in charge of your children? | 让巴克留下照顾你们的孩子吗 |
[38:01] | Oh, God, help us. | 老天保佑 |
[38:02] | Yes, that’s right. It’s ridiculous, | 是啊 没错 这多荒唐 |
[38:05] | and it’s downright un-American, | 这是反美的 |
[38:07] | because women are the primary caregivers in the home | 因为女性是主要的家庭照顾者 |
[38:10] | because we bear the children. | 因为孩子是我们生的 |
[38:13] | And if the liberationists have a problem with that, | 如果女权分子对此有不满 |
[38:15] | they’re gonna have to take it up with God. | 他们只能找上帝算账了 |
[38:17] | ‘Cause what is going to happen | 因为如果你逼女性 |
[38:19] | if you push women out into the workforce | 去工作 结果就是 |
[38:22] | is that women are going to find themselves | 女性会发现自己 |
[38:24] | with two full-time jobs. | 要做两份全职工作 |
[38:26] | And they’re going to be exhausted and unhappy | 她们会精疲力尽 非常痛苦 |
[38:29] | and feel like they’re not doing either well | 感觉她们两边都没做好 |
[38:32] | until eventually they decide not to have children at all. | 直到她们最终决定不生孩子 |
[38:36] | Maybe that’s the liberationists’ goal. | 或许那正是女权分子的目标 |
[38:38] | I mean, after all, their hero is Gloria Steinem, | 毕竟 他们的英雄是格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 |
[38:42] | a single, childless woman nearing 40, | 一个将近40的独身无子女性 |
[38:47] | but she’s the sort of, uh, miserable, pathetic woman | 但他们就想成为她那样痛苦 |
[38:50] | they aspire to be. | 可悲的女人 |
[38:52] | She wants some kind of constitutional cure | 她想用宪法来解决 |
[38:55] | for her personal problems. | 她的私人问题 |
[38:57] | And perhaps that is why the liberationists are trying | 或许这就是为何 这些女权分子 |
[39:00] | to sow these seeds of discontent | 想把不满的情绪蔓延到 |
[39:02] | among we happily married women. | 我们这些幸福的已婚女人中来 |
[39:05] | They want us to join them in some new sisterhood | 她们希望我们跟他们成为姐妹 |
[39:08] | of frustrated togetherness | 一起感到沮丧 |
[39:11] | because none of them can find a man who wants to marry them. | 因为她们都找不到愿意娶他们的男人 |
[40:41] | Next, ABC’s Bill Zimmerman | 接下来 ABC台的比尔·齐默曼 |
[40:43] | covered the story in Brooklyn, New York. | 在纽约布鲁克林为您带来报道 |
[40:46] | Mrs. Chisholm, how are you feeling today? | 奇泽姆太太 你今天感觉如何 |
[40:51] | Oh. I feel wonderful. | 我感觉很好 |
[40:53] | It’s one of the most marvelous things to happen in our country | 我们国家现在在发生非常 |
[40:56] | at this moment. | 了不起的事 |
[40:58] | Uh, for the first time in the history of our nation, | 我国历史上首次 |
[41:01] | a person of color, a woman at that, | 一个有色人种 还是女人 |
[41:02] | is running for the highest office in the land, | 要竞选本国的最高职位 |
[41:05] | and it’s a wonderful thing to know | 很高兴知道 |
[41:07] | that in spite of the many obstacles on my path, | 尽管我的路上障碍重重 |
[41:10] | a large, large cross-section of America is behind me saying, | 美国有很大一批人支持我 说 |
[41:14] | why not? | 有何不可 |
[41:16] | Why not dare to dream like | 为何不能像 |
[41:17] | so many others have dreamt before me? | 我之前很多人那样去梦想 |
[41:19] | So I’m very excited, and I feel fine. | 我很激动 我感觉很好 |
[41:23] | And do you really expect to go all the way, Mrs. Chisholm? | 你真认为您能走到底吗 奇泽姆太太 |
[41:25] | Yes, I expect to go all the way. | 是的 我要走到底 |
[41:31] | A new hat, or rather a bonnet, was tossed | 民主党总统选举今天 |
[41:33] | into the Democratic presidential race today– | 有人丢了一顶新帽子 女帽 |
[41:36] | that of Mrs. Shirley Chisholm, | 也就是谢丽·奇泽姆太太 |
[41:37] | the first black woman to serve in Congress. | 第一个黑人女众议员 |
[41:40] | Mrs. Shirley Chisholm today announced | 谢丽·奇泽姆太太今天宣布 |
[41:42] | that she’s going to run for President of the United States. | 将参加美国总统竞选 |
[41:44] | Would you vote for a woman for president? | 你会投票选女人当总统吗 |
[41:46] | – Yes, I would. – Why? | -我会的 -为什么 |
[41:48] | Well, I think it’s about time we had a woman for president. | 我觉得我们也该选女人当总统了 |
[41:50] | I don’t think they’re as level-headed yet as the men are. | 我觉得她们不如男人冷静 |
[41:53] | I think it would be a good idea to have a woman president. | 我觉得女人当总统不错 |
[41:55] | Why? | 为什么 |
[41:56] | Because it’s good to have a change. | 因为能有个改变也不错 |
[41:57] | I think president is a man’s job. | 我觉得总统是男人的工作 |
[41:59] | Yeah, I think she will make a good president, | 我觉得她能当个好总统 |
[42:00] | but I doubt if–I doubt that she would be elected, though. | 但我不太相信她能当选 |
[42:03] | In the historic decision, the Senate voted 84 to 8 today | 历史性的抉择 今天参议院以84票赞成 |
[42:07] | to approve a constitutional amendment | 8票反对通过了确保女性平权的 |
[42:09] | guaranteeing equal rights to women. | 宪法修正案 |
[42:11] | The proposal goes to the states for ratification. | 提议将发至各州进行批准 |
[42:17] | Did you call the Speaker of the House | 你用某个四个字母的词形容 |
[42:18] | – a 4-letter word? – No. | -众议院议长了吗 -没有 |
[42:20] | – Are you sure? – Yes, I’m sure. | -你确定吗 -确定 |
[42:22] | “Ass” is a 3-letter word. | “混蛋”才三个字母 |
[42:24] | Come on! Come on! Come on! | 来啊 |
[42:27] | I’m in heels. | 我穿着高跟呢 |
[42:38] | When I founded this national women’s political caucus– | 我成立国家女性政治党团时 |
[42:41] | We all founded it, | 是我们一起成立的 |
[42:41] | Betty– you, me, Gloria, Shirley. | 贝蒂 你 我 格洛丽娅 谢丽 |
[42:44] | Yes, yes, but it was my concept. | 对 但是我的理念 |
[42:48] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[42:48] | My point is that I felt that we needed to take | 我是想说 我当时觉得我们得 |
[42:52] | our movement from the streets to Congress, | 把我们的运动从街头走向国会 |
[42:54] | and here we are, just a year later, | 现在 仅仅一年后 我们就成功了 |
[42:56] | – and we are a political force. – Here you go. | -我们是股政治力量了 -给 |
[42:57] | And we have our first serious | 我们有了第一位 |
[43:00] | – female candidate for president. – Yes! Whoo! | -真正的女性总统候选人 -是啊 |
[43:02] | – Chizzy for President. – Chizzy for Prezzy! | -奇泽竞选总统 -奇泽竞选总统 |
[43:05] | And yesterday the Equal Rights Amendment | 昨天 《平等权利修正案》 |
[43:08] | sailed through the Senate. | 毫无阻碍地通过了参议院 |
[43:10] | Hawaii ratified less than 30 minutes | 参议院投票结束后 |
[43:12] | after the Senate vote. | 夏威夷不到30秒就批准了 |
[43:13] | Delaware, New Hampshire will have it ratified by tomorrow. | 特拉华州 新罕布什尔 明天也都能批准 |
[43:16] | We have seven years, but we’ll get it done in one. | 我们有七年时间 但我们一年就做到了 |
[43:18] | No, and even Nixon is on our side. | 不 连尼克松都支持我们 |
[43:20] | And thank you for that last minute endorsement. | 谢谢你最后拉到的支持 |
[43:21] | – See? He’s not all bad. – He’s mostly bad. | -他也没那么坏 -他够坏了 |
[43:24] | If you would like our women’s caucus to be bipartisan, | 如果你希望女性党团跨党派 |
[43:26] | perhaps the Democrats in this room could refrain | 那这房间里的民主党请别 |
[43:29] | from trashing the president at every meeting? | 每次开会时都说总统坏话 |
[43:31] | I thought trashing Nixon was bipartisan. | 我以为吐槽尼克松就是跨党派行为 |
[43:36] | No, but, you know, Jill is right. | 不 但吉尔说得对 |
[43:38] | Our movement is about fighting oppression of all women. | 我们的运动是为所有女性反抗压迫 |
[43:40] | You know, there are too few of us, | 我们人太少 |
[43:42] | and we’re not each other’s enemies. | 我们不能与彼此为敌 |
[43:43] | What are you talking about? There are plenty of us. | 你说什么呢 女人多得是 |
[43:45] | Does this mean that you’re now for lesbian rights? | 你现在还支持蕾丝权利了吗 |
[43:47] | I never said I was against lesbian rights. | 我可从未反对过蕾丝权利 |
[43:50] | I said that I didn’t wanna declare at the press conference | 我说我不想在媒体发布会上说 |
[43:52] | that we’re all lesbians, ’cause we’re not all lesbians. | 我们都是蕾丝 因为我们不都是蕾丝 |
[43:57] | Sorry to interrupt, but you asked me | 抱歉打扰 但你要我追踪 |
[43:58] | to track opposition to the ERA. | 《平权修正案》的反对派 |
[44:02] | Who the hell is Phyllis “Schafly”? | 菲莉丝·沙弗利是谁 |
[44:04] | It’s Schlafly. | 是施拉夫利 |
[44:05] | Oh, she’s a right wing nut from Illinois. | 她是伊利诺伊州的右翼疯子 |
[44:07] | Oh, we don’t need to worry about stuff like this on the fringe. | 我们不用担心这种边缘化的言论 |
[44:09] | I’ve never even heard of “The Phyllis ‘Schafly’ Report.” | 我都没听说过《菲莉丝·沙弗利报告》 |
[44:12] | – It’s Schlafly. – What? | -是施拉夫利 -什么 |
[44:13] | – There are two L’s. – Two L’s. | -有两个L -两个L |
[44:15] | Oh, well, what do I care if it’s “Schafly” Or Schlafly? | 是沙弗利还是施拉夫利有什么关系呢 |
[44:18] | It’s not like I’m ever gonna say that fucking woman’s name again. | 我反正再不会提到这蠢女人的名字了 |
[44:22] | – To the ERA. – Yes. | -敬《平权修正案》 -说得好 |