时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:22] | 本剧改编自因《平等权利修正案》引发的政治斗争和辩论的相关真实事件 部分剧中角色和一些场景对话做了戏剧创作和改编 | |
[00:48] | Oh, what a handsome devil you are. | 你可真是个帅小伙 |
[00:51] | Oh, thank you, Mrs. Thomson. | 谢谢 汤森太太 |
[00:52] | Oh, Beth would rip my tongue out of my mouth | 贝丝听到我说这种话 |
[00:54] | if she heard me say this, but in 2 years, she’ll be 18, | 会扯出我的舌头 但她两年后就18了 |
[00:56] | and I want a Schlafly boy to be my son-in-law. | 我希望有个施拉夫利家的女婿 |
[00:59] | Relax. I’ve got two more right behind him. | 放松 他还有俩弟弟呢 |
[01:02] | Tommy met a girl while he was on leave in Honolulu. | 汤米去火奴鲁鲁休假时认识了个姑娘 |
[01:05] | She was vacationing with her parents. | 她当时在跟父母一起度假 |
[01:07] | – They’re from Ladue. – That’s lucky. | -他们来自拉杜 -真幸运 |
[01:09] | When does Tom finish his tour? | 汤姆什么时候结束派驻 |
[01:11] | Uh, by Christmas, God willing. | 圣诞节吧 但愿 |
[01:14] | All right, everyone, let’s get started. | 好 各位 我们开始吧 |
[01:16] | We have a lot to do. | 我们还有很多事呢 |
[01:18] | – Alice? – Yes. Um… | -爱丽丝 -嗯 |
[01:19] | Okay, so I have booked the conference room at the hotel. | 好 我已定了酒店的会议室 |
[01:23] | If you don’t have a room reserved yet, see me after. | 如果你还没订房间 之后来找我 |
[01:26] | And I’m coordinating rides to St. Louis | 我在组织去圣路易斯的车程 |
[01:27] | if anybody wants to carpool. | 有人想拼车找我 |
[01:28] | And we’ve proved we can stop the ERA | 我们已证明我们可以在伊利诺伊州 |
[01:31] | right here in Illinois, | 阻止《平权修正案》 |
[01:33] | and it’s because of your hard work | 因为大家的努力工作 |
[01:34] | that over a hundred of my subscribers | 百余名我的订阅者 |
[01:37] | wanna come to St. Louis for the weekend | 周末想来圣路易斯 |
[01:39] | and learn from our strategy | 了解我们的策略 |
[01:40] | and help launch our national campaign. | 帮忙开启全国宣传 |
[01:43] | Our goal is to have chapters in 25 states | 我们的目标是明年此时在全国 |
[01:45] | by this time next year. | 25个州建立分部 |
[01:46] | What are we calling ourselves? | 我们要如何自称 |
[01:48] | Well, I think the Schlafly Eagles. | 施拉夫利鹰女 |
[01:50] | That makes us sound like a group | 听上去像一群 |
[01:51] | of middle-aged German Girl Scouts. | 中年德国女童军 |
[01:54] | The name should tell people who we are, | 名称应该代表我们的身份 |
[01:56] | like “League of Housewives.” | 比如”主妇联盟” |
[01:58] | That’s good. It’s too bad it’s already taken. | 不错 可惜已经占了 |
[02:00] | Eagles mate for life, | 鹰的伴侣终身不变 |
[02:03] | and I think that tells people who we are. | 我觉得这能代表我们的身份 |
[02:05] | But more importantly, I have a profile in D.C., | 但更重要的是 我在华府有些身份 |
[02:09] | and, uh, if we’re going to catch up with the libbers, | 如果我们想赶超女权分子的势力 |
[02:11] | we’re gonna need to grow fast, | 我们得快速壮大 |
[02:13] | and my name gives us instant political recognition. | 我的名字能让我们立刻获得政治关注 |
[02:16] | The problem is “Schlafly” | 但”施拉夫利” |
[02:17] | doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue. | 不是个很顺口的名字 |
[02:19] | I’ve known you 20 years, and I’m still not sure | 我都认识你20年了 我还是不确定 |
[02:21] | where the L’s go. | 那些L的位置 |
[02:22] | That’s before the “A” and after the “F.” | A前一个 F后一个 |
[02:27] | Why don’t we vote on it? | 我们投票吧 |
[02:28] | Well, if we vote on every little thing, | 如果我们每件小事都投票 |
[02:30] | we will never be ready. | 我们肯定办不完事了 |
[02:32] | But we are voting on state leaders | 但我们要投票选州领袖 |
[02:34] | because I plan on running | 因为我打算竞选 |
[02:35] | for head of the Illinois chapter. | 伊利诺伊州分部主管 |
[02:37] | Maybe I’ll run, too. | 或许我也会竞选 |
[02:38] | Well, there’s more to it | 这事可不是 |
[02:40] | than baking bread for a few legislators. | 给几个立法者烤面包那么简单 |
[02:43] | Pamela? | 帕梅拉 |
[02:44] | Oh, no, that’s my manuscript. | 不 那是我的手稿 |
[02:46] | Oh, I ruined it. I’m so sorry. | 我乱画了 对不起 |
[02:48] | Oh, no, it’s all right. It’s just the front page. | 不 没关系 只是第一页 |
[02:51] | This is smart. | 这创意很好 |
[02:53] | What is it? | 什么 |
[02:58] | What if we call ourselves “Stop ERA”? | 我们自称”反对ERA”怎么样 |
[03:01] | It would be even better | 如果能变成 |
[03:02] | if we could turn it into an acronym. | 缩略词会更好 |
[03:04] | – Stop Telling– – Stop Tormenting… | -反对告诉… -反对折磨… |
[03:06] | – No, Stop Taking– – Stop Taking Over– | -不 反对夺取… -反对占领… |
[03:08] | – Stop Taking Our Providers. – Protectors. | -反对夺走我们的家庭支柱 -保护者 |
[03:11] | Privileges. Stop Taking Our Privileges. | 特权 反对夺走我们的特权 |
[03:14] | That’s great. | 很好 |
[04:20] | Shirley Chisholm! | 谢丽·奇泽姆 |
[04:22] | Right now, women, | 就是现在 各位女性 |
[04:24] | don’t forget to vote for the Chisholm slate! | 别忘了投给谢丽·奇泽姆 |
[04:26] | Shirley Chisholm gets some of her best support | 谢丽·奇泽姆最忠实的支持者 |
[04:29] | from college students. | 包括大学生 |
[04:30] | The spirit of Chisholm is what we’re here for. | 奇泽姆的精神就是我们来此的原因 |
[04:32] | We are the people. This is a people’s campaign. | 我们就是人民 这是全民投票 |
[04:35] | A recent poll will put her campus popularity | 最近都民意调查显示她的校园支持率 |
[04:37] | at second only to George McGovern’s. | 仅次于乔治·麦戈文 |
[04:39] | We need a change. All men do is get us into trouble. | 我们需要改变 男人只会给我们惹来麻烦 |
[04:42] | We’re in more trouble now than we ever were. | 我们现在的麻烦比以往都大 |
[04:43] | As far as we know, | 据我们所知 |
[04:44] | all the polls across the state have closed. | 全国的民意调查都结束了 |
[04:47] | 林赛 7% 麦卡锡 1% 奇泽姆 1% | |
[04:47] | Eugene McCarthy and Shirley Chisholm got 1% each. | 尤金·麦卡锡和谢丽·奇泽姆分别得到1% |
[04:50] | She bristles at the suggestion she step aside, | 她对于叫她让位的建议大为恼怒 |
[04:53] | lest she draw liberal votes away | 这是为避免她把自由党的选票 |
[04:55] | from other Democratic presidential contenders. | 从其他民主党总统竞争者身上拉走 |
[04:57] | Senator McGovern is likely to get a good, strong boost | 麦戈文参议员很可能在今晚的民主党提名中 |
[05:00] | for the Democratic nomination tonight. 248 delegates… | 得到强有力的助推 248名代表… |
[05:04] | You pushed me to run as the people’s president, | 你们推举我竞选总统 |
[05:07] | and even if we didn’t do as well as we hoped, | 即使我们之前的表现不如人意 |
[05:10] | we can still shake things up at the convention. | 我们仍能在大会上改变现状 |
[05:13] | – That’s right. – That’s right. | -没错 -说得对 |
[05:14] | Politicians don’t give their support | 政客才不会出于好心 |
[05:16] | for a good cause out of the goodness of their hearts. | 为大义而给予支持 |
[05:20] | That’s right. | 太对了 |
[05:21] | You can go to the convention | 你可以到大会上 |
[05:22] | and yell, “Black power, here I come,” | 大喊 “黑人力量 我来了” |
[05:24] | “Women power,” any kind of thing, | “女性力量” 什么都好 |
[05:26] | but the only thing that those hard-nosed boys | 但那些讲究实际的男人 |
[05:29] | are going to understand– how many delegates do you got? | 会理解的只有 你有多少代表 |
[05:34] | – That’s right. – Yes, that’s right. | -没错 -说得对 |
[05:35] | Senator McGovern. | 麦戈文参议员 |
[05:38] | You want my delegates? | 你想要我的代表 |
[05:41] | Yes, please! | 是的 |
[05:43] | Well, how about a black vice president? | 那让黑人当副总统怎么样 |
[05:46] | How about a woman to head Department of Health? | 让女性领导卫生署 |
[05:48] | How about legalizing abortion? | 使堕胎合法化 |
[05:51] | Busing our children to better schools? | 用校车把我们的孩子送去更好的学校 |
[05:57] | I’m glad you’re staying in it. | 我很高兴你继续参加竞选 |
[06:00] | Listen. | 听着 |
[06:02] | We got to let the establishment know | 我们得让当权者知道 |
[06:04] | that we done just about had it. | 我们受够了 |
[06:05] | I feel we’re about to be invited to a street protest in Miami. | 我感觉我们要被邀请去迈阿密参加街头示威 |
[06:08] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[06:09] | Why do we have to be in the middle of the street | 为什么我们非得到街上去 |
[06:12] | while they are in an air-conditioned convention center? | 而他们可以在一个有空调的会议中心里 |
[06:16] | I’m tired of protesting outside. I want to work inside, | 我受够了在外面示威 我想在室内工作 |
[06:20] | where there is coffee and carpet. | 有咖啡和地毯 |
[06:23] | Okay? | 懂吗 |
[06:26] | How long these pigs gon’ be sticking around? | 这些猪要在这儿待多久 |
[06:29] | Well, George Wallace got shot, | 乔治·华莱士中枪 |
[06:29] | 民主党政客 支持种族隔离 阿拉巴马州州长 72年5月15日被Arthur Bremer枪击 并致其终身下身瘫痪 | |
[06:30] | and the president sent me Secret Service. | 总统给我派了特工处的人 |
[06:32] | We are living in upside down times. | 我们生活的时代颠倒了 |
[06:36] | To be fair, Nixon sent them to protect you. | 说句公道话 是尼克松派他们来保护你的 |
[06:39] | To protect…or to surveil? | 是保护还是监视 |
[06:42] | Does he even know the difference? | 他知道区别吗 |
[06:44] | The Man’s always listening. | 他无时无刻不在偷听 |
[06:47] | Where’s Chizzy? | 奇泽呢 |
[06:49] | I gotta catch that last train. We need your vote | 我得去赶最后一班火车 我们需要你的票 |
[06:52] | on the education amendments this week. | 支持这周的《教育修正案》 |
[06:54] | Patsy Mink calls me every day to remind me. | 帕琦·明克每天都会打电话提醒我 |
[06:58] | You made history. | 你创造了历史 |
[07:00] | But if I could get the endorsement of the Black Caucus, | 但如果我能获得黑人党团的支持 |
[07:02] | there would be a lot of press going into Miami. | 媒体就会蜂拥而至迈阿密 |
[07:05] | That is what I need more than anything right now. | 那才是此刻我最需要的东西 |
[07:08] | And you know I’m with you all the way, | 你知道我全力支持你 |
[07:09] | but I’m only one voice on the caucus. | 但我在黑人党团里只代表自己 |
[07:11] | Don’t sell yourself short. | 别小看自己 |
[07:16] | Hello? | 你好 |
[07:17] | Baby. It’s Bella. | 亲爱的 是贝拉 |
[07:22] | You kicked down that last door. | 你踢倒了最后一道门 |
[07:24] | And you know you have when the Gridiron Club | 当格里迪朗俱乐部邀请你参加他们的年度晚宴时 |
[07:26] | invites you to their annual dinner. | 你就知道你做到了 |
[07:29] | But they didn’t change their male-only membership policy, | 但他们没有改变他们仅限男性的政策 |
[07:31] | so I replied, “Guess who’s not coming to dinner.” | 所以我回复 “猜猜谁不会来参加晚宴” |
[07:35] | Aw, I’m proud of you. You ran a terrific campaign. | 我真为你骄傲 你的竞选很成功 |
[07:39] | – Well, I’m still running. – Primaries are over. | -我的竞选还没完呢 -初选结束了 |
[07:42] | Everyone’s getting on the McGovern bandwagon. | 人人都赶浪头去支持麦戈文的竞选活动了 |
[07:45] | Humphrey, Muskie, Jackson-they aren’t getting on it. | 汉弗莱 穆斯基 杰克逊 他们没有 |
[07:48] | You know how it goes. | 你知道这是怎么回事 |
[07:50] | Party unity. We can’t look divided. | 党内要团结 我们不能分裂 |
[07:54] | We are divided. | 我们已经分裂了 |
[07:57] | I admire what you’re trying to do, Shirley. | 我很钦佩你的雄心壮志 谢丽 |
[08:00] | I really do. | 真的 |
[08:02] | I’ll see you in Miami. | 迈阿密见 |
[08:14] | She’s not dropping out? | 她不打算退出 |
[08:17] | This is gonna be a problem. | 这会成为隐患 |
[08:19] | *Mine eyes have seen the glory* | *我的双眼见证* |
[08:22] | *Of the flame of women’s rage* | *女性怒火的荣光* |
[08:24] | *Kept smoldering for centuries* | *熊熊燃烧了几个世纪* |
[08:26] | *Now burning in this age* | *现今仍旺盛* |
[08:28] | *We no longer will be prisoners* | *我们将不再做* |
[08:30] | *In the same old gilded cage* | *镀金笼子里的囚徒* |
[08:32] | *That’s why we’re marching on* | *所以我们要前进* |
[08:37] | *Move on over* | *继续前行* |
[08:38] | *Or we’ll move on over you* | *不然我们将践踏着你前行* |
[08:41] | *Move on over, or we’ll move on over you* | *继续前行 不然我们将践踏着你前行* |
[08:45] | *Move on over* | *继续前行* |
[08:46] | *Or we’ll move on over you* | *不然我们将践踏着你前行* |
[08:48] | *For women’s time has come* | *因为女性的时代已经到来* |
[08:54] | 民主党全国代表大会 迈阿密海滩 | |
[09:36] | 圣路易斯 反对ERA 全国午餐会 | |
[09:39] | First of all, we’re all gonna have to check in, I believe. | 首先 我们应该都得去办理入住 |
[09:42] | Hello, Mary! So good you could come. | 你好 玛丽 你能来真是太好了 |
[09:44] | Why didn’t anyone tell me we were meeting? | 怎么没人告诉我 我们要开会 |
[09:47] | I’m staying at the Doral. | 我住在多拉尔酒店 |
[09:48] | – No, watch out, watch out! – This place is a dump. | -当心 看着点 -这地方好破 |
[09:52] | – I’d like to give you this. – Oh. Thank you. | -我想送你这个 -谢谢 |
[09:55] | 你负责维持生计 我们负责让你的生活充满意义 | |
[10:08] | I’m not telling you to drop out, | 我不是要你退出 |
[10:10] | but the caucus has endorsed McGovern. | 但党团已经为麦戈文背书了 |
[10:12] | I would like to see a list of the specific commitments | 我倒是想看看麦戈文为黑人权益 |
[10:14] | to black needs McGovern made to them. | 具体做出了哪些承诺 |
[10:17] | Walter don’t want any chaos during your speech tomorrow. | 沃尔特不想明天你演讲时出任何乱子 |
[10:20] | If I tell it like it is | 如果我如实发言 |
[10:21] | and black delegates defect to me, that’s chaos? | 然后黑人代表倒戈向我这方 那叫乱子吗 |
[10:26] | I call it a revolution. | 我愿称之为革命 |
[10:28] | Some of the brothers question whether you’re really | 有一些代表质疑你作为候选人 |
[10:29] | the candidate for blacks or just for women. | 到底是为了黑人 还是只为女性 |
[10:35] | I don’t look black to you? | 你觉得我不算黑人 |
[10:43] | Does… | 那… |
[10:45] | this make me black? | 这能证明我是黑人了吗 |
[10:50] | 亲爱的奇泽姆女议员 去死吧 黑鬼 | |
[10:55] | – Do they know about this? – And the others. | -他们知道这事吗 -其他人也知道 |
[10:59] | Why are you carrying this around? | 你为什么要随身带着 |
[11:00] | To remind myself why I’m staying in. | 提醒自己 为什么我要继续竞选 |
[11:04] | You go up against McGovern, | 你要是跟麦戈文作对 |
[11:05] | you’re gonna take a beating back in Washington. | 回到华盛顿会遭受重创 |
[11:07] | I’m not going to roll over every time | 我不会每次遇到男性强力施压 |
[11:09] | the Man presses too hard. | 就选择屈服 |
[11:12] | If I do, it’s just gonna keep up the pressure, | 如果那样 压力只会越积越多 |
[11:14] | and I’m going to keep rolling over. | 而我就只能一直屈服下去 |
[11:23] | Uh, we sent letters to all the legislators | 我们向所有立法者寄了信 |
[11:25] | asking them to let us know if they didn’t get bread, | 让那些没收到面包的告知我们 |
[11:28] | and one representative from Chicago | 有一位来自芝加哥的议员 |
[11:31] | actually wrote me back. | 给我回了信 |
[11:33] | “Now I’m a bachelor, so I don’t care one way or the other | “我是单身 所以我根本不在乎 |
[11:37] | “About the ERA, but I want my bread, | 《平权修正案》通过与否 但我想要面包 |
[11:40] | and furthermore, I want banana bread.” | 具体一点 我想要香蕉面包” |
[11:44] | Luckily, banana bread happens to be one of my specialties. | 幸运的是 香蕉面包正是我的拿手好菜 |
[11:47] | You should have seen his face | 你们真该看看我们出现在他办公室时 |
[11:48] | when we showed up in his office. | 他脸上的表情 |
[11:50] | He will be ours forever. | 他永远都会站在我们这边 |
[11:55] | Yes. So there’s nothing more, uh, effective | 是的 没有什么会比面对面接触 |
[11:57] | than in-person contact, so I suggest that you, uh, | 来得更加有效 所以我建议大家 |
[12:00] | go to your, uh, state capitol, preferably in pairs, | 前往你们的州议会大厦 最好结伴去 |
[12:04] | and tell your state– | 告诉你们的州… |
[12:05] | I find appointments are generally useless. | 我发现预约见面基本没用 |
[12:06] | Just drop by their offices. Look them in the eye and say | 直接去他们的办公室 与他们对视并说 |
[12:10] | “I don’t want my daughter to be drafted.” | “我不想让我的女儿被征兵” |
[12:14] | Yes. | 没错 |
[12:15] | It helps if you, uh, bat your eyelashes. | 如果你抛个媚眼 那更有效 |
[12:18] | Okay, yes, uh, Mary Frances. | 好的 下面是玛丽·弗兰西斯 |
[12:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:27] | I just wanna tell each and every one of you | 我只想告诉在座的各位 |
[12:29] | that if we did it in Louisiana, | 如果我们能在路易斯安那州获胜 |
[12:32] | we can do it in Arizona. | 那么在亚利桑那州也可以 |
[12:33] | We can do it in Florida and in Missouri. | 在佛罗里达州和密苏里州也可以获胜 |
[12:36] | We must stop these commie radical lesbians | 我们必须阻止这些激进的共产党女同性恋 |
[12:39] | from changing our way of life, | 改变我们的生活方式 |
[12:41] | or it will be chaos. | 否则世界就会陷入混乱 |
[12:42] | Yes! | 没错 |
[12:43] | If we don’t put the brakes on the ERA, | 如果我们不阻止《平权修正案》 |
[12:45] | the traditional family will be destroyed, | 传统的家庭会被破坏 |
[12:47] | and once that’s gone, it’s goodbye, America. | 家庭被破坏了 美国也就要亡国了 |
[12:51] | The Lord made men and women different, | 上帝创造男人和女人时就不同 |
[12:53] | just like he did white people and the coloreds. | 就像祂使白人和有色人种不同一样 |
[12:54] | – Yes. – Uh-huh. | -是啊 -没错 |
[12:56] | Do we want the sexes fully integrated like the races? | 我们难道想让性别同种族一样大融合吗 |
[12:58] | – No! – No! | -不想 -不 |
[12:59] | We must not let the same thing happen with uppity libbers | 我们绝不能让发生在傲慢黑鬼身上的事 |
[13:02] | that’s happened with those uppity Negroes. | 在这些傲慢女权分子身上重蹈覆辙 |
[13:04] | – If we don’t put the brakes on– – All right. | -如果我们不能停止… -好了好了 |
[13:05] | Thank you, Mary Frances. | 谢谢你 玛丽·弗兰西斯 |
[13:06] | Uh, thank you. Uh, we don’t have a lot of time, | 谢谢 我们的时间十分有限 |
[13:09] | but I-I know there’s quite a few people who want to speak, | 并且还有不少人想要发言 |
[13:12] | so keep everything ladylike. | 所以大家互相迁就下 |
[13:24] | Frisk her. She hasn’t been felt up in a while. | 搜她的身 她好久没被人摸过了 |
[13:33] | Hot off the Chisholm Trail. | 竞选活动刚结束 |
[13:36] | Right this way, Mrs. Chisholm. | 在这边 奇泽姆太太 |
[13:40] | Tomorrow at the rally, | 在明天的集会上 |
[13:42] | I am going to announce that we should push McGovern | 我会宣布 我们要逼迫麦戈文 |
[13:45] | to choose you as a running mate. | 选择你作为他的竞选搭档 |
[13:47] | – She’s already demoting you. – No. | -她已经给你降职了 -没有 |
[13:49] | First female vice president– that’s real political power. | 第一位女性副总统 这可是真正的政治权力 |
[13:52] | If we’re serious about shaking things up, | 如果我们真的要改变现状 |
[13:54] | we have to keep McGovern from winning on the first ballot. | 我们必须不能让麦戈文在第一轮投票中获胜 |
[13:58] | If it goes to a second ballot, | 如果举行了第二轮投票 |
[14:00] | if I can control a hundred or 150 delegates, | 我能够得到100到150名代表的支持 |
[14:03] | – I can be a kingmaker. – Queenmaker. | -我就能当上造王者 -造女王者 |
[14:05] | – Yes. – If, if, if. You’re dreaming. | -没错 -全是假设 你在做梦 |
[14:09] | You got a few dozen delegates. | 支持你的只有几十名代表 |
[14:10] | It’s time to drop out. | 是时候退出了 |
[14:11] | You’ve made your point. | 你已经表明了观点 |
[14:12] | Until McGovern has the majority of the delegates, | 在麦戈文获得大多数代表的支持前 |
[14:15] | it’s still anybody’s game. | 任何人都还有机会 |
[14:17] | Yes, why can’t the caucus | 是啊 为什么党团 |
[14:18] | throw its full support behind Shirley? | 不能全力支持谢丽 |
[14:20] | We’ve been over this a hundred times, Betty. | 这个问题我们已经讨论过很多次了 贝蒂 |
[14:23] | The caucus is bipartisan. | 党团是跨党派的 |
[14:24] | We can’t endorse presidential candidates in either party. | 我们不能支持两党的任何总统候选人 |
[14:28] | Well, we founded the caucus with Shirley. | 我们和谢丽一起成立的党团 |
[14:30] | We can change the rules, and it’s not up to you, Bella. | 我们可以改变规则 而且你说了不算 贝拉 |
[14:33] | Gloria is our spokeswoman, as everybody keeps reminding me. | 格洛丽娅是我们的发言人 大家都在提醒我 |
[14:37] | I’m endorsing Shirley. | 我支持谢丽 |
[14:39] | But you think McGovern is the best white male candidate. | 但你认为麦戈文是最好的白人男性候选人 |
[14:42] | Oh, I said it once to a reporter. I was joking. | 我曾经就向一个记者说过一次 我那在开玩笑 |
[14:45] | Well, I support you unequivocally. | 我坚决支持你 |
[14:47] | We’re not here to take sides. | 我们不是来站队的 |
[14:48] | We’re here to fight for the issues, not the candidate. | 我们是来争取解决问题 不是来争取候选人 |
[14:51] | We already pissed off McGovern’s campaign | 我们已经惹怒了麦戈文的竞选团队 |
[14:53] | by forcing a floor vote on abortion. | 因为我们强制民主党全国代表大会对堕胎权投票 |
[14:55] | Now you want us to keep him from getting the nomination? | 现在你想让我们阻止他获得提名 |
[14:57] | It won’t work, and he’ll remember. | 不会成功的 而且他会记得 |
[14:59] | He’ll remember when he gets to the White House | 他当上总统的时候会记得 |
[15:00] | that we were against him, and we need him | 我们反对过他 而我们需要他 |
[15:02] | to get a woman into the Cabinet, get the ERA ratified quickly, | 让女人进入内阁 迅速批准《平权修正案》 |
[15:06] | maternity benefits, daycare. | 产假津贴 日托 |
[15:07] | We can’t afford to alienate our male allies. | 我们不能离间自己的男性同盟 |
[15:10] | We finally got our foot in the door, | 我们现在终于一脚踏进了游戏 |
[15:11] | and now you want us to kick it down? | 现在你要我们把它付之一炬吗 |
[15:13] | Well, serves them right for making us wear heels. | 活该 谁让他们逼我们穿高跟鞋 |
[15:15] | – If you understood power, you– – I understand… power. | -你要是理解权力 -我理解权力 |
[15:20] | I am trying to protect our interest, | 我是想维护我们的利益 |
[15:23] | put pressure in the places that makes real results, | 在真正能有结果的地方施压 |
[15:25] | not symbolic. | 而不是只有象征意义 |
[15:27] | I am not gonna let your ego get in the way. | 我不能让你的自负坏了大事 |
[15:30] | What, my ego? If you were running for president, | 什么 我自负 要是你竞选总统 |
[15:33] | not only would this entire movement endorse you, | 不仅这整个运动会支持你 |
[15:36] | we would host fundraisers, knock on doors, | 我们还会主持募捐 敲别人的门 |
[15:39] | make phone calls– | 一个个打电话 |
[15:40] | Because I would go about it in the right way! | 因为我知道怎么正确做事 |
[15:42] | Bella. | 贝拉 |
[15:45] | Do you want us to be taken seriously or not? | 你想让别人认真对待我们吗 |
[15:47] | – Just… – She got 2% of the vote. | -你就 -她有2%的选票 |
[15:50] | She took money from the Black Panthers | 她从黑豹党那边拿钱 |
[15:52] | and their endorsement. | 让他们背书 |
[15:53] | Her campaign’s a joke! | 她的竞选运动就是个笑话 |
[15:55] | Come on. | 别这样 |
[15:57] | God. | 天啊 |
[16:00] | Shouldn’t have said that. | 我不该说这话 |
[16:02] | You always said you would support me. | 你一直说你会支持我 |
[16:07] | Why couldn’t you go all the way? | 为什么不能支持到底呢 |
[16:15] | I thought you’d talk to us first. | 我以为你会先来跟我们讨论 |
[16:19] | You just announced. | 你只是突然宣布了 |
[16:22] | I didn’t get anywhere in my life | 我这辈子取得的成就 |
[16:23] | waiting on somebody’s permission. | 从来不是靠等他人批准 |
[16:28] | If you can’t support me, get out of my way. | 你要是不能支持我 就给我走 |
[16:37] | No. | 别 |
[16:41] | “Collectively, we’ve come together | “总的来说 我们并非作为 |
[16:43] | “not as a women’s liberation group, | 女性解放组织汇聚在一起 |
[16:45] | but as women… The only–“ | 而是作为女性 唯一” |
[16:50] | Them people is inferior to us people. | 他们的种族比我们低劣 |
[16:53] | Daddy, how can a man who believes in God | 爸爸 一个相信上帝的人 |
[16:55] | talk like that? | 怎么能说那种话 |
[16:56] | Because I’m using the common sense that God gave me. | 因为我用的是上帝给我的常识 |
[17:00] | Archie, that’s out and out hate. | 亚奇 那是彻头彻尾的仇恨 |
[17:03] | Hate?! What has any of this got to do with hate, | 仇恨 这跟仇恨有什么关系 |
[17:07] | you dumb Pollock? | 你个蠢波兰佬 |
[17:29] | I asked them to make you macaroni pie special. | 我叫他们专门给你做通心粉派 |
[17:34] | Did you ask them to put brandy in it? | 你让他们往里面加白兰地了吗 |
[17:38] | Who knows what they did to this room before we checked in? | 谁知道我们入住之前 他们在这做了什么 |
[17:43] | The caucus wants me to drop out, | 党团想让我退出 |
[17:46] | release my delegates to McGovern. | 把我的代表给麦戈文 |
[17:49] | – Which one? – Take your pick. | -哪个 -你挑吧 |
[17:53] | They both have been talking to high heaven ever since way back. | 她们老早就开始高谈阔论 |
[17:57] | A female president by ’76, a black president, | 到了76年能有女性总统 黑人总统 |
[18:00] | but when push comes to shove, it’s like Pops always said. | 但到了紧要关头 就像爸经常说的 |
[18:03] | One hand won’t clap. | 一个巴掌拍不响 |
[18:05] | And they can’t see it! | 她们就是不明白 |
[18:07] | Bella thinks I’m ego-tripping. | 贝拉觉得我太自负 |
[18:09] | Gloria is just sitting on the fence! Why?! | 格洛丽娅屁也不放 怎么会这样 |
[18:14] | Why am I the only one at this convention | 为什么我是大会上唯一一个 |
[18:17] | who thinks a black woman being president is worth the run?! | 认为让黑人女性竞选总统是值得一试的人 |
[18:25] | What did you do when the older kids on the block ignored you? | 街区的大孩子对你视而不见时 你是怎么做的 |
[18:29] | I punched them. | 我揍了他们 |
[18:33] | You punched them. | 你揍了他们 |
[18:43] | What’s beginning to turn into a nightmare | 共和党人恶梦 |
[18:45] | for the Republicans all began on June 17th | 始于6月17日 |
[18:48] | when, according to police, | 据警方透露 |
[18:50] | five men were caught with bugging equipment | 五名男子在民主党全国代表大会会场 |
[18:52] | inside the Democratic National Convention… | 被发现随身藏匿窃听设备 |
[18:53] | It’s a shame Pamela couldn’t come. | 帕梅拉来不了太可惜了 |
[18:55] | She needs a weekend away more than any of us. | 她比我们更需要一个周末出门透透气 |
[18:57] | I told her she could bring the baby. | 我跟她说了可以把孩子带上 |
[19:01] | They have cribs. | 酒店有童床 |
[19:02] | I don’t know Kevin well, but he sounds very strict. | 我不太了解凯文 但他听起来很严格 |
[19:05] | What are the legislators | 立法者要这些东西 |
[19:07] | supposed to do with those? | 干什么呢 |
[19:09] | Well… | 好吧 |
[19:10] | think about…Jacquie! | 想想… 杰奎 |
[19:14] | Did you know Jacquie just became a grandmother? | 你知道杰奎刚刚当祖母了吗 |
[19:17] | She’s not even 35. | 她甚至还不到35岁 |
[19:18] | Yeah, well, she’s very proud of that fact. | 对 她对此感到非常自豪 |
[19:20] | Not as proud as she is of those pillows. | 没有她对那些枕头那么自豪 |
[19:23] | Oh, I should’ve brought another skirt to wear tonight. | 我应该带条别的裙子来的 可以今晚穿 |
[19:26] | This isn’t appropriate. | 这条不太合适 |
[19:29] | Here. Try this. | 来 试试这条 |
[19:31] | – Oh, Phyllis. – No, it’ll look great on you. | -菲莉丝 -不 你穿上会很好看的 |
[19:33] | Well, what will you wear? | 那你穿什么 |
[19:36] | Oh, I’ve got to finish editing Chester’s pages | 我得把我们关于基辛格的书中 |
[19:38] | on our book on Kissinger. | 切斯特的那部分校订完 |
[19:39] | Oh, you don’t want to come out with the girls? | 你不想出来跟姑娘们聚聚吗 |
[19:42] | Every day that man is in the White House | 那人在白宫一日 |
[19:44] | makes us more vulnerable to a surprise nuclear attack. | 抵御核突袭的能力都一天不如一天 |
[19:47] | The Admiral lets you edit his chapters? | 海军上将让你校订他的章节吗 |
[19:50] | He’s a brilliant military strategist, | 他是一位出色的军事战略家 |
[19:51] | but a wordsmith he is not. | 但不是一位大文豪 |
[19:54] | I don’t know how you even talk to men. | 我都不知道你是怎么跟男人交流的 |
[19:57] | I have spoken with exactly four men | 我成年之后就只跟 |
[20:00] | in my entire adult life. | 四个男人说过话 |
[20:02] | Mm-hmm, your father, husband, son, and… | 你的父亲 丈夫 儿子 还有… |
[20:03] | And priest. | 还有神父 |
[20:04] | …treasurer quit, telling people | 财务部长辞职 声称 |
[20:06] | it was because his wife was pregnant. | 辞职原因是妻子怀孕 |
[20:09] | The committee chairman, John Mitchell, has… | 委员会主席约翰·米切尔… |
[20:10] | Do you know who I can’t even talk to? | 你知道我没法跟哪个人说话吗 |
[20:13] | I know. | 我知道 |
[20:15] | It was really vulgar. | 真的太粗俗了 |
[20:17] | Yes, it was. It was… very inappropriate. | 对 确实非常不合适 |
[20:21] | Oh, I am so relieved you feel the same way. | 你也这样想 我就安心多了 |
[20:24] | Can you imagine if Mary Frances | 你能想象吗 如果玛丽·弗兰西斯 |
[20:26] | said something like that in public | 在公众场合对一位当选官员 |
[20:29] | to an elected official, wearing a STOP ERA pin? | 说那种话 还戴着”反对ERA”的胸针 |
[20:34] | How well do you really know her? | 你到底有多了解她 |
[20:37] | Most of our communication has been through letters. | 我们大部分交流都是通过书信 |
[20:40] | Well, she could be a member of | 据我们所知 她很可能是 |
[20:42] | the White Citizens Council for all we know. | 白人公民委员会的成员 |
[20:45] | And she is probably going to be elected | 而且她可能会当选 |
[20:46] | head of the Louisiana chapter. | 路易斯安那州分会主席 |
[20:49] | What am I supposed to do? | 我该怎么办呢 |
[20:52] | Kick her out. | 把她踢出去 |
[20:55] | She’s an effective organizer. | 她是个高效的组织者 |
[20:57] | She’s very well-liked. | 她深受大家喜爱 |
[21:00] | All the more reason to set an example. | 那她更是杀鸡儆猴的最佳人选 |
[21:06] | They say Shirley Chisholm tells it like it is. | 他们说 谢丽·奇泽姆是个说实话的人 |
[21:12] | So I’m gonna tell it like it really is. | 所以我要说出真相 |
[21:21] | There are women within range of my voice right now | 现在 台下能听见我说话的女性中 |
[21:25] | that support McGovern, | 有麦戈文的支持者 |
[21:27] | and there are women that support Humphrey and Wallace, | 也有汉弗莱和瓦雷斯的支持者 |
[21:31] | and this is your right. | 这是你们的权利 |
[21:34] | But if you’re talking about women | 但如果你想让女性 |
[21:37] | becoming a political force to be reckoned with, | 成为一股不容小觑的政治力量 |
[21:40] | you have to decide whether or not you’re going to | 你就得决定是否要支持 |
[21:43] | go with the candidate who cares about women’s rights | 那些关心女性权利的候选人 |
[21:46] | and will go with you all the way down the line. | 而且愿意与你并肩奋战到底 |
[21:52] | Or whether you’ll support one of the other candidates | 或你决定转向支持其他候选人 |
[21:55] | because it has been the traditional thing to do. | 因为这是一直以来的惯例 |
[21:59] | In this country, everybody is supposed to be able | 在这个国家 每个人都应该有权利 |
[22:04] | to run for president, but that has never really been true. | 竞选总统 但这从来都是谎言 |
[22:09] | Somebody had to do it first. | 总要有一个开路先锋 |
[22:14] | So I did it. | 所以我做了 |
[22:17] | I did it because I was the only one who had the audacity | 我这么做 是因为我是唯一一个有胆量 |
[22:22] | to shake this system up. | 动摇这个体系的人 |
[22:33] | Go with me on the first ballot! | 在第一轮投票时支持我 |
[22:39] | Don’t play yourselves cheap. I beg you. | 别糟蹋了手里的选票 我恳求你们 |
[22:42] | You did not come here to be delivered! | 你不是来送人头的 |
[22:46] | Yes! | 说得好 |
[22:54] | Shirley! Shirley! Shirley! Shirley! | 谢丽 谢丽 谢丽 谢丽 |
[22:59] | So now you’re breaking the rules? | 所以你现在要打破规则 |
[23:00] | – Whose rules? – The rules. | -谁的规则 -规则 |
[23:02] | There are rules to conventions. Have you lost your mind? | 大会的规则 你疯了吗 |
[23:04] | Oh, and who gets to make the rules? It’s rigged– | 由谁来制定规则呢 全都是暗箱操作 |
[23:07] | the whole damned system, | 整个系统都是 |
[23:08] | and it’s been going on for so long, | 被人操纵了太久 |
[23:10] | and you don’t even feel the strings. | 以致你们都感觉不到身上的绳索了 |
[23:20] | You need to stay on the dais for McGovern’s speech. | 麦戈文讲话的时候你要留在台上 |
[23:35] | It is an honor to introduce | 我很荣幸能够介绍 |
[23:37] | Senator George McGovern. | 乔治·麦戈文参议员 |
[23:40] | We are here today because he fought for party reform. | 我们今天能在这里 都靠他为党派改革斗争 |
[23:44] | Every woman in this room owes him a debt of gratitude. | 这里的每一个女性都欠他一份感激 |
[23:48] | George. | 乔治 |
[23:52] | Bella, thank you so much. | 贝拉 谢谢你 |
[23:55] | Thank you, Bella, | 谢谢你 贝拉 |
[23:55] | but I can’t take all the credit. | 但我不能揽下所有功劳 |
[23:57] | Some of it has to go to Adam. | 亚当也应当被赞扬 |
[24:01] | Eve! Eve! | 夏娃 夏娃 |
[24:03] | I meant Adam and Eve. | 我是指亚当和夏娃 |
[24:05] | Eve was framed! | 夏娃是被陷害的 |
[24:08] | Yes, yes, thank you for that. | 对 谢谢提醒 |
[24:10] | You know, my friends, we’re at a crossroads… | 我的朋友们 我们正在岔路口 |
[24:12] | I know, “the higher the hair, the closer to God”, | 我懂 “头发越高 离上帝越近” |
[24:15] | but I think I need to give her the chance to make amends. | 但我应该给她弥补错误的机会 |
[24:18] | But of course, if I say something… | 当然了 如果我说的话 |
[24:21] | It’ll sound like a lecture. | 听起来像是说教 |
[24:22] | Well, it, might put her nose out of joint. | 这个嘛 可能会激怒她 |
[24:25] | Do you want me to say something? | 你需要我说些什么吗 |
[24:27] | You have a way with people. | 你很会处理人际关系 |
[24:32] | Hello, ladies. | 女士们好 |
[24:34] | – Oh, what’s this for? – Lunch. | -这是做什么 -午餐费 |
[24:35] | Watch out for Jacquie. | 当心着点杰奎 |
[24:37] | She’ll put in a $5 and take out a $10. | 她会放进5块 拿出10块 |
[24:39] | Oh, did you all have a good time on the town last night? | 你们昨晚在城里玩得开心吗 |
[24:42] | Oh, too much fun, and the beds are so comfortable. | 开心过头了 那里的床真是太舒服了 |
[24:46] | – I slept like a baby. – Good. | -我睡得跟个婴儿似的 -真好 |
[24:47] | This hotel is tip-top. Even the help is white. | 这酒店真是一流 就连佣人都是白人 |
[24:50] | We should have our next meeting here. | 我们下次会议就在这开吧 |
[24:56] | Before our next get-together, | 在我们下次集会之前 |
[24:57] | maybe we could lay some ground rules. | 或许我们可以设立一些基本原则 |
[25:01] | Uh, for example, | 比如 |
[25:03] | I think using racially charged language | 我觉得带有种族色彩的语言 |
[25:06] | denigrates our organization and undermines our mission. | 会玷污我们的组织 有损我们的使命 |
[25:10] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[25:11] | I just think we should be careful not to be crude. | 我只是觉得我们应该小心点 别太粗鲁 |
[25:15] | Who was being crude? | 谁粗鲁了 |
[25:17] | Did everyone get their ballots for the state leader elections? | 大家都拿到选举州领袖的选票了吗 |
[25:21] | You said someone was being crude. Who was it? | 你说有人粗鲁 是谁 |
[25:27] | Uh, to be honest, some of the language you used | 坦白地说 你的一些用词 |
[25:30] | made me uncomfortable. | 让我很不舒服 |
[25:32] | I’m sorry if the problems plaguing this country | 如果困扰这个国家的问题让你不舒服了 |
[25:35] | make you uncomfortable. | 那我可真抱歉 |
[25:37] | I thought this was supposed to be a place | 我以为这个地方能让我们 |
[25:39] | we could speak freely. | 畅所欲言 |
[25:40] | Well, I think what Alice meant– | 我想爱丽丝的意思是 |
[25:42] | We know exactly what Alice meant. | 她什么意思 我们清楚得很 |
[25:45] | I don’t know about the rest of you ladies, | 不知道其他人怎么看 |
[25:47] | but I sure didn’t come all this way to be insulted. | 反正我大老远跑来这 不是为了被人羞辱 |
[25:53] | Well, you’re not leaving. | 别走呀 |
[26:00] | We’re doing just fine in Louisiana without you. | 我们在路易斯安那州没有你也好得很 |
[26:02] | We don’t need your fancy slogans or your big college words | 我们不需要你的华丽口号和文绉绉的用词 |
[26:05] | to keep the ERA out of our state. | 一样能把《平权修正案》拒之门外 |
[26:07] | Well, th-that may be so, | 这个嘛 也许是这样 |
[26:10] | but we–we do need to be united, | 但我们确实需要团结起来 |
[26:13] | if we’re going to have a successful national campaign. | 这样才能成功地在全国竞选宣传 |
[26:17] | Please stay. | 留下来吧 |
[26:19] | So your friends can get everyone else | 好让你朋友怂恿别人 |
[26:20] | to vote against me? No, thank you. | 投我的反对票吗 谢谢 还是不了 |
[26:24] | Uh, does anyone here object to making Mary Frances | 有人反对让玛丽·弗兰西斯负责路易斯安那州 |
[26:27] | the head of STOP ERA in Louisiana and Mississippi? | 和密西西比州的”反对ERA”活动吗 |
[26:31] | Ann, uh, you’re doing great things. | 安 你一直以来做得不错 |
[26:33] | I think you deserve to lead the charge in, uh, Oklahoma. | 我觉得你应该负责俄克拉荷马州的活动 |
[26:36] | Jacquie, you’ll head up the Texas and, | 杰奎 你负责德克萨斯州 还有 |
[26:39] | Arizona, uh, chapters. | 亚利桑那州的分部 |
[26:42] | And, uh, yes, uh, Rosemary, you wanna head up, uh, Illinois? | 以及 好 萝丝玛丽 你负责伊利诺伊州好吗 |
[26:46] | Oh, yes. | 好的 |
[26:49] | Does that settle it? | 这样行了吗 |
[26:50] | Okay. Well, I will put together some talking points | 好的 我会总结一份和媒体交谈时 |
[26:54] | that we can all refer to when talking to the media. | 我们都能用上的谈话要点 |
[26:57] | Just a little script we can follow. | 就是一些能参照的脚本 |
[26:58] | But my communication style is folksier than yours, Phyllis, | 可我的说话风格要比你更随和些 菲莉丝 |
[27:02] | so I might change a few words here and there. | 所以我可能会时不时地改几个词 |
[27:05] | Well, I’m sorry, Jacquie, | 真不好意思 杰奎 |
[27:06] | but now we are a national organization. | 可我们现在是一个全国性组织 |
[27:08] | We do have to have rules of conduct. | 必须要有言行准则 |
[27:12] | ‘Cause it serves our cause, uh, better | 因为使用一致的语言风格 |
[27:15] | if we all use identical language. | 能更好地服务于我们的目标 |
[27:17] | It’s how we’re really gonna make it stick. | 通过这种方式 我们才能让观念深入人心 |
[27:20] | It’s, uh, one voice, one message. | 同一个声音 同一个观点 |
[27:23] | But none of us can do it on our own, | 不过 没人能够仅凭自己做到这一点 |
[27:25] | I mean, especially me. | 尤其是我 |
[27:27] | I didn’t even know about this crisis | 我都不知道这场危机 |
[27:29] | until my dear friend Alice, uh, alerted me to the cause, | 直到我亲爱的朋友爱丽丝提醒了我 |
[27:33] | and I think that’s real sisterhood, girls. | 这才是真正的姐妹情谊 姑娘们 |
[27:50] | We got a Humphrey delegate! | 我们得到了一位汉弗莱的代表 |
[27:53] | She said after my speech, they just couldn’t vote | 她说听了我的演讲后 她们实在没法 |
[27:56] | for a white man and asked to be released, | 投票给一名男性白人 还让他解除承诺 |
[27:57] | or they would release themselves. | 否则不如自己主动退出了 |
[28:00] | We’re close to 50 delegates. | 我们就快拿下50名代表了 |
[28:01] | If we can get to 100, we can start wheeling and dealing. | 如果能达到100名 我们就能有赢面了 |
[28:17] | Thadde. | 塞德 |
[28:54] | I’m Shirley Chisholm, | 我是谢丽·奇泽姆 |
[28:57] | and I am a candidate for President of the United States. | 我是美国总统候选人 |
[29:11] | 奇女士 竞选总统 | |
[29:13] | I feel like I’ve summoned to the principal’s office. | 我感觉好像被传唤到校长办公室似的 |
[29:16] | Would you feel better if you took off that pin? | 如果取下别针 你会感觉好些吗 |
[29:19] | – No. – I would. | -不会 -我会的 |
[29:22] | This room is where all the decisions are made, | 这个房间是作出所有决定的地方 |
[29:24] | and you’re here. You. | 而你就在这里 你本人 |
[29:26] | Don’t forget how crazy you were for George | 别忘了第一次见面时 |
[29:28] | when you first met him. | 你对乔治有多疯狂 |
[29:29] | He inspired you. You wrote his speeches. | 他激励了你 你给他写了的演讲稿 |
[29:32] | He’s fighting for 90% of the same issues as Shirley. | 他为之奋战的问题有九成都跟谢丽的相同 |
[29:34] | The only difference between them is he can beat Nixon. | 他俩唯一的区别在于 他能打败尼克松 |
[29:38] | Come on in. | 进来吧 |
[29:41] | – Nice to see you, Gary. – Sit down. | -很高兴见到你 加里 -请坐 |
[29:43] | – All right. – Come sit. | -好 -过来坐下 |
[29:44] | I apologize if I was out of line | 我很抱歉 如果我在 |
[29:47] | at the platform committee meetings. | 党纲会议上出格了 |
[29:49] | Oh, you mean… | 你是说 |
[29:51] | It’s all right. | 没关系 |
[29:52] | I wouldn’t last a day in Hollywood. | 在好莱坞我一天都混不下去 |
[29:53] | Please, you’re getting to be a bigger ham than me. | 拜托 你肯定比我更吃香 |
[29:56] | You should see her Marlene Dietrich impression. | 你应该看看她模仿玛琳·黛德丽 |
[29:58] | What can I offer you ladies to drink? Scotch? | 女士们想喝点什么 苏格兰威士忌 |
[30:00] | – Sure, I’ll take a Scotch. – I don’t need the calories. | -好 我要一杯威士忌 -我不想摄入卡路里 |
[30:04] | Okay. | 好的 |
[30:08] | What are the different colors for? | 为什么会有不同的颜色 |
[30:11] | Oh, the white goes to the command wagon, | 白色这台连着指挥车 |
[30:12] | blue to McGovern’s suite, and red to the convention floor. | 蓝色接到麦戈文的套房 红色接到大会厅 |
[30:15] | This way. | 这边走 |
[30:18] | You’re not worried this ruins | 你不担心这会毁了 |
[30:21] | the grass roots image of your campaign? | 你竞选的草根形象吗 |
[30:23] | Not particularly. | 不太担心 |
[30:24] | So if I pick up the blue phone, | 所以如果我拿起蓝色的电话 |
[30:26] | I can speak to George. | 就可以和乔治说话 |
[30:28] | Well, I’m not so sure that he’d take your call. | 我不确定他会接你电话 |
[30:32] | He’s still very hurt that you tell the press | 他还是很伤心 因为你对媒体说 |
[30:34] | he’s the best white male candidate. | 他是最好的白人男性候选人 |
[30:37] | He considers you a friend. | 他当你是朋友 |
[30:39] | Good friends are honest with each other. | 好朋友应该彼此坦诚相待 |
[30:42] | Shirley is a better candidate. | 谢丽是个更好的人选 |
[30:44] | I did not say he considers you a good friend. | 我没说他认为你是个好朋友 |
[30:49] | Well, how can I make it up to him? | 我怎么才能补偿他呢 |
[30:52] | McGovern is a hundred votes short. | 麦戈文少了一百票 |
[30:54] | If we can get a hundred more women delegate votes | 如果在加州的投票中 我们能再得到 |
[30:56] | on the California challenge, we could clinch the nomination. | 一百名女性代表的选票 我们就可以获得提名 |
[30:58] | And why should we help you? | 我们为什么要帮你 |
[31:01] | We will back you on all the credentials challenges that matter to you. | 我们会支持你们看重的所有资质投票异议 |
[31:09] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[31:13] | I could push him to choose a female running mate. | 我可以说服他选个女性竞选搭档 |
[31:17] | – Shirley? – Everything is on the table. | -谢丽吗 -我已经把底牌亮了 |
[31:24] | And what more can we give you? | 我们还能给你什么 |
[31:26] | You’ve already got national daycare, | 你已经得到了全国日托 |
[31:27] | affirmative action, ratification of the ERA. | 平权法案 《平权修正案》的批准 |
[31:30] | You’re not backing us on the abortion vote. | 你们在堕胎问题上不支持我们 |
[31:32] | You can’t expect to get everything that you want. | 你不能期望得到想要的一切 |
[31:34] | Don’t you expect to get everything that you want? | 难道你不期望得到想要的一切吗 |
[31:37] | We’ve done sampling. | 我们抽样调查了 |
[31:38] | He cannot come out in favor of legalizing abortion | 如果他站出来支持堕胎合法化 |
[31:41] | and win in November. | 就不能在11月获胜 |
[31:42] | All we’re asking for is a fair fight on the floor. | 我们只想要在众议院公平投票的机会 |
[31:47] | What if…we stay neutral? | 那如果我们保持中立呢 |
[31:50] | We let our delegates vote their conscience? | 我们让我们的代表凭良心投票 |
[31:53] | And you don’t let the right-to-lifers speak. | 那别让生命权利运动者说话 |
[31:56] | We don’t want anyone saying | 我们不希望在投票前 |
[31:57] | that abortion is murder right before the vote. | 有人说堕胎就是谋杀 |
[31:59] | Yes, and we don’t want anyone up there | 好 那我们也不想让任何人站到台上 |
[32:00] | saying that women are being butchered on kitchen tables. | 说女人正躺在厨房桌上被开膛破肚 |
[32:02] | But women are being butchered on kitchen tables. | 但女人就是躺在厨房桌上被开膛破肚 |
[32:05] | Yes. We just don’t wanna hear about it. | 没错 但我们不想听 |
[32:11] | Okay. Okay. | 好吧 |
[32:15] | You wanna shake on it? | 握手定约吧 |
[32:32] | Did you see the phones? | 你看见那些电话了吗 |
[32:32] | Did you see the blue phone and white phone? | 你看到蓝色和白色的电话了吗 |
[32:41] | Were you in McGovern’s suite? | 你们刚才在麦戈文的套房里吗 |
[32:43] | None of your business. | 不关你的事 |
[32:44] | What do you mean, it’s none of my business? | 你什么意思 不关我的事 |
[32:45] | This is my hotel. | 这是我的酒店 |
[32:49] | Did you make a deal with him? | 你们和他达做交易了对吧 |
[32:53] | Oh, now I’m really mad. | 现在我真的很生气 |
[32:55] | I’m gonna write an exposé. | 我要写一篇揭露报道 |
[32:56] | Oh, sure, Betty, make it all about you. | 好啊 贝蒂 让所有人都围着你转 |
[32:58] | Who cares if you’re helping the movement? | 谁在乎你是不是在帮助女权运动 |
[33:00] | – I am the movement. – You wrote a book 10 years ago. | -我就是女权运动 -你不过是十年前写了本书 |
[33:14] | You really play both ends, don’t you? | 你真是墙头草 对吧 |
[33:17] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[33:18] | You make a big show of supporting Shirley, | 你让别人看到你支持谢丽 |
[33:21] | but you’re really just going to deliver women to McGovern. | 但其实你在把女性票数拱手送给麦戈文 |
[33:23] | You don’t know anything about politics. | 你对政治一窍不通 |
[33:26] | I’m not sure anyone know anything about politics. | 我不确定是否有人真正懂得政治 |
[33:34] | It’s Gloria Steinem. | 是格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 |
[33:36] | We’re keeping a running tally | 我们在坚持做记录 |
[33:37] | to see how many states have ratified the ERA | 对比有多少个州已经通过了《平权修正案》 |
[33:39] | versus how many women Warren Beatty has slept with | 和从沃伦·比蒂到迈阿密后 |
[33:41] | since he’s come to Miami. | 睡了多少女人 |
[33:43] | – Isn’t that hilarious? – My money’s on Warren Beatty. | -这难道不好笑吗 -我赌沃伦·比蒂 |
[33:47] | Smart. | 聪明 |
[33:54] | Representative Dellums of California today switched to McGovern. | 今日加州众议院员代表德勒姆斯转投了麦戈文 |
[33:58] | I cannot abide cynical efforts to stop Senator McGovern. | 我不能容忍试图阻止参议员麦戈文的自私行径 |
[34:05] | He is the only real hope for bringing humanity | 他是唯一能为这个国家 |
[34:09] | peace, freedom, and justice to this country and the world. | 和世界带来人性 和平 自由和公正的人 |
[34:32] | Muskie and Humphrey are withdrawing. | 穆斯基和汉弗莱打算退选 |
[34:36] | What do you wanna do? | 你想怎么做 |
[34:40] | Has Gloria called? | 格洛丽娅打电话了吗 |
[34:48] | Baby…it’s time. | 宝贝 是时候了 |
[34:51] | Hanging on–it doesn’t make you look good. | 再坚持 只会让自己难堪 |
[35:04] | I’m going to release my delegates. | 我要解除对我代表的承诺了 |
[35:26] | …will present the minority report on abortion. | 将发表关于堕胎的少数派报告 |
[35:29] | What’s going on with that minority report? | 少数派报告怎么了吗 |
[35:32] | It’s really difficult to tell. | 一言难尽 |
[35:35] | The senator has taken no stand in opposition to it. | 参议员没有采取反对的立场 |
[35:38] | He has also taken no stand in support of it. | 他也没表明支持立场 |
[35:50] | Hey, we wanna give up our seats | 我们考虑把席位 |
[35:51] | to a couple of women alternates so they can vote on abortion. | 让给其他女性代表 以便让她们投票支持堕胎 |
[35:54] | Thank you. That’s so kind of you. Thank you. | 谢谢你们 你们太好了 谢谢 |
[35:57] | Bella. Bella! | 贝拉 贝拉 |
[35:59] | Two more seats opened up for women alternates. | 支持堕胎女性代表又多获得了两个席位 |
[36:02] | I’ve counted and recounted. | 我数了一遍又一遍 |
[36:03] | We’re at 48 “yes” in North Carolina. | 我们在北卡罗来纳州有48张同意票 |
[36:08] | North Carolina. | 北卡罗来纳州 |
[36:08] | I can’t believe it. I have never been so happy | 简直不敢相信 我从未因为 |
[36:11] | to see men giving up their seats for the ladies. | 男性让位给女性而如此开心过 |
[36:13] | You know, I think we’re gonna make it. | 我觉得我们能成功 |
[36:15] | I think we might make it. | 我觉得我们可能成功 |
[36:17] | We’re pulling it. I just wanted to ask… | 我们在统计票数 我就想问下… |
[36:18] | …will take some state legislation | …将在各州进行 |
[36:20] | on every state level. | 州立法投票 |
[36:22] | Women’s rights to abortion are decided in the political arena. | 女性是否具有堕胎权将在政治舞台上得出结果 |
[36:25] | He stated it should not have a part in partisan politics. | 他声称这件事情不应受党派政治左右 |
[36:27] | They got North Carolina. They could win this. | 拿下北卡罗来纳州 她们就能赢 |
[36:30] | We have to take a stand. | 我们必须表明立场了 |
[36:32] | This is an issue of the day, and it will continue to be an issue. | 这是当下最紧迫的政治议题 也将一直是 |
[36:34] | We must take a stand. | 我们必须要表明立场了 |
[36:39] | Now? | 现在吗 |
[36:48] | Yeah. Okay. | 好的 |
[36:55] | Yep. You know what to do. Go back. Come on. | 你知道该怎么做 回去 快点 |
[36:59] | What the hell is going on? | 这是发生什么事了 |
[37:03] | Yeah, I need to take my seat back. | 我得拿回我的席位 |
[37:04] | No, no, no. Stay down. Don’t get up. | 不 不 不 坐下 别站起来 |
[37:07] | They told us to take our votes back. | 他们让我们要回投票权 |
[37:09] | Who told you that? McGovern’s people? | 谁告诉你的 麦戈文的人吗 |
[37:11] | The word is out. It’s vote “no” on abortion. | 消息已经传出去了 投堕胎的反对票 |
[37:14] | No, you–you must have some mistake. The… | 不 这一定是有什么误会… |
[37:18] | Thanks. Okay. Vote “no” on abortion. Go back. | 谢谢 好的 投反对票 快回去 |
[37:20] | Go back to your seat. No, I don’t care if you… | 回去你的座位 我不管你有没有… |
[37:26] | You promised us! You bastard! | 你承诺过我们 你个混蛋 |
[37:28] | We didn’t mention women being butchered on kitchen tables! | 我们都没提女性在厨房桌上被开膛破肚 |
[37:31] | I’ve had about enough of you women. | 我听够你们女人怎样了 |
[37:33] | You’re a liar! Liar! | 你个骗子 骗子 |
[37:38] | They’re never gonna take us seriously. | 他们永远不会把我们当回事 |
[37:39] | – We’re just walking wombs! – Back off! | -我们只是行走的生育机器而已 -滚开 |
[38:02] | Bella and I wanna make one last push | 我和贝拉还想再努力最后一把 |
[38:04] | to get a woman on the ticket for vice president. | 让女性参与竞选副总统 |
[38:07] | You think McGovern’s people are going to let | 你真心觉得麦戈文的人会让 |
[38:09] | the convention floor pick his running mate? | 大会的人替他选竞选搭档吗 |
[38:13] | Whoever controls the phones controls the floor. | 电话那端的人控制着大会 |
[38:17] | You never had a chance. | 你从来没机会 |
[38:19] | Even if it is a sham, if our female pick | 就算是骗局 如果我们女性竞选者 |
[38:21] | makes a strong showing, it sets the stage for ’76 or ’80. | 坚持到底 也为76年甚至80年选举打下了基础 |
[38:24] | You’re our first choice. | 你是我们最佳的选择 |
[38:25] | I’m not interested in another run | 我没兴趣再参与任何 |
[38:28] | that’s viewed as symbolic. | 只有象征意义的竞选了 |
[38:30] | McGovern will choose Thomas Eagleton, | 麦戈文会选择托马斯·伊格尔顿 |
[38:34] | as he has always wanted to do all along. | 就像他一直以来的打算一样 |
[38:37] | And he won’t mention abortion on the campaign trail | 并且在竞选活动中他不会提到堕胎权 |
[38:41] | or gay rights or the Equal Rights Amendment | 或者同性平权或者《平权修正案》 |
[38:44] | or anything that matters to us. | 或任何我们在意的议题 |
[38:48] | He put on a good show, | 他演了一场好戏 |
[38:49] | but don’t mistake that for real political power. | 但别以为那就是真正的政治权力 |
[38:52] | Power concedes nothing. | 权力不对任何事让步 |
[38:57] | If we don’t demand true equality, | 如果我们不追求真正的平等 |
[39:00] | we are always going to be begging the men | 就要永远乞求男人 |
[39:02] | for a few crumbs from the pie, | 给我们留点剩菜 |
[39:06] | trading women for an empty promise. | 用女人来交换空洞的承诺 |
[39:25] | The Senator from South Dakota | 欢迎南达科他州参议员 |
[39:27] | and the next President of the United States– | 下一任美国总统 |
[39:31] | George McGovern! | 乔治·麦戈文 |
[39:32] | McGovern! McGovern! McGovern! McGovern! | 麦戈文 麦戈文 麦戈文 麦戈文 |
[39:36] | McGovern! McGovern! | 麦戈文 麦戈文 |
[39:40] | McGovern! McGovern! | 麦戈文 麦戈文 |
[39:42] | Oh, cheer up. We’re not going home empty-handed. | 开心点 我们不会空手而回的 |
[39:46] | 70年代美剧《全家福》中的角色 一名顽固保守的蓝领工人 是美国电视史上著名的偏执狂 此处为反讽 | |
[39:46] | Our choice for vice president got more votes than Archie Bunker. | 我们选的副总统比亚奇·邦克得票还多 |
[39:49] | I can hold my head high. | 我完全可以昂首挺胸 |
[39:51] | We’re gonna be fine. McGovern’s a great candidate. | 没事的 麦戈文是个很好的候选人 |
[39:54] | At least we won’t suffer another four years of Nixon. | 起码我们不用再忍受尼克松四年 |
[39:58] | McGovern! McGovern! McGovern! McGovern! | 麦戈文 麦戈文 麦戈文 麦戈文 |
[40:16] | Shirley! Shirley! Shirley! | 谢丽 谢丽 谢丽 |
[40:21] | My God. | 上帝啊 |
[40:45] | Shirley! | 谢丽 |
[40:52] | Shirley! | 谢丽 |
[40:59] | …the next President of the United States… | …下一任美国总统… |
[41:02] | All right, that is 28 cans need to be replaced. | 有28罐要换 |
[41:06] | I don’t think these ever really turn. | 我觉得这些其实不会坏 |
[41:09] | The dates are just there to get you to buy more. | 标上日期只是为了让你买得更多 |
[41:11] | Well, if you want them, they’re yours. | 你如果想要 就拿去吧 |
[41:13] | …the Pentagon under congressional prodding… | …五角大楼在国会的敦促之下… |
[41:16] | Thank you. I’ll bring these to the church. | 谢谢 我会把它们拿去教堂 |
[41:19] | …back U. S. nuclear bases… | …回到美国核基地… |
[41:21] | Now I want you to try and put yourself to bed. | 上床睡觉去吧 |
[41:23] | All right? I’ll be up in a moment to check on you. | 好吗 我一会儿去看你 |
[41:27] | The earlier lower casualty estimates… | 早前较低的伤亡预计是… |
[41:29] | – Good night, Willie. – Good night, Anne. | -晚安 薇莉 -晚安 安 |
[41:30] | …Pentagon thought was the most likely method of Soviet attack. | …五角大楼认为这是苏联最有可能的袭击手段 |
[41:33] | It was estimated up to 21,700,000 Americans | 据估计 一次这样的袭击最多可造成 |
[41:38] | would die in such an attack, | 2170万美国人死亡 |
[41:40] | depending on the size of the bombs and prevailing winds. | 具体取决于炸弹的大小和主风向 |
[41:43] | But an attack on the Whiteman Air Force Base | 而对密苏里州怀特曼空军基地的袭击 |
[41:45] | in Missouri would kill up to 10 million | 最多可致一千万人死亡 |
[41:48] | because fallout would be carried to densely populated areas | 因为辐射会扩散至圣路易斯等 |
[41:51] | such as St. Louis. | 人口密集地区 |
[41:53] | Other attacks would produce fallout patterns | 其它袭击的扩散模式 |
[41:55] | covering many states and millions of people. | 也将影响多个州和数百万民众 |
[41:59] | The estimated nearly 22 million deaths pertains only | 2200万死亡人数的估值仅针对 |
[42:02] | to an limited Russian attack on military targets only. | 局限于军事目标的苏联袭击 |
[42:05] | The Department of Defense said… | 国防部表示… |