时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:23] | 本剧改编自因《平等权利修正案》引发的政治斗争和辩论的相关真实事件 部分剧中角色和一些场景对话做了戏剧创作和改编 | |
[00:35] | The Supreme Court today ruled that | 最高法院今日裁定 |
[00:36] | abortion is completely a private matter to be decided | 堕胎在怀孕的头三个月里 |
[00:40] | by mother and doctor in the first three months of pregnancy. | 应完全由母亲和医生决定 |
[00:43] | The 7-2 ruling to that effect will probably result | 7对2的判决可能会大大影响 |
[00:46] | in a drastic overhaul of state laws on abortion. | 各州关于堕胎的法律 |
[00:50] | Specifically the court today overturned | 尤其是 法庭今天推翻了 |
[00:52] | laws in Texas and Georgia and ruled the government | 德州和佐治亚州的法律 认为政府 |
[00:54] | – has no right to enter… – I couldn’t get any work done. | -无权介入… -我无法工作 |
[00:56] | …into a decision which should be made | …应由母亲和医生 |
[00:57] | – by the mother and her doctor. – They’re winning. | -做的决定 -他们要赢了 |
[01:00] | During the second three months of pregnancy… | 在怀孕的四到六个月期间 |
[01:05] | It’s a great decision because it puts right on the line | 这是个很好的决定 它彻底表明了 |
[01:09] | that a woman has the right to remain pregnant or not. | 女人有权决定是否留住胎儿 |
[01:12] | It gives freedom of choice. | 给予了女性自由选择权 |
[01:13] | I respect the conscience of those | 我从道德上 |
[01:15] | who oppose abortion on moral grounds. | 尊重反对堕胎者的良心 |
[01:18] | I do not believe that they have the right | 但我不认为他们有权 |
[01:20] | to deprive other women of abortion. | 反对其他女性堕胎 |
[01:22] | Abortion may be legally permissible. | 堕胎虽然获得了法律允许 |
[01:25] | It is still morally wrong. | 但仍是不道德的 |
[01:44] | I cannot believe it. | 难以置信 |
[01:47] | – You heard the news? – I know. | -你们听到新闻了 -是啊 |
[01:48] | Roe v. Wade. It’s the law of the land. | 罗诉韦德案 成为法律了 |
[01:50] | I was in the Supreme Court during oral arguments. | 口头辩论时 我就在高院 |
[01:53] | Oh, my God. You’re Betty Friedan. | 天啊 你是贝蒂·弗莱顿 |
[01:55] | I am. | 是的 |
[01:56] | Your book–it changed my life. | 你的书 改变了我的人生 |
[02:00] | Can I hug you? | 我能抱你吗 |
[02:03] | Well…please. | 来吧 |
[02:07] | Thank you, Gloria Steinem! | 谢谢 格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 |
[03:19] | Tomorrow you’ll meet a crowned head of Europe and marry. | 明天 你会结识一位欧洲君王跟他结婚 |
[03:23] | I will have a fat attack. | 而我会发肥胖病 |
[03:28] | Eat 300 peanut butter cups and die. | 吃300罐花生酱死去 |
[03:30] | You know, now that you’re my upstairs neighbor, | 你现在成了我的楼上邻居 |
[03:31] | I feel like I’m Mary coming up to visit Rhoda. | 我觉得我就像玛丽 上来拜访罗达 |
[03:34] | – Oh, Mary never visits Rhoda. – Never? Why? | -玛丽从不去看罗达 -是吗 为什么 |
[03:37] | Why? | 为什么 |
[03:39] | Rhoda, I’m running… | 罗达 我要… |
[03:41] | You’re going out in that blouse? | 你要穿那件衬衫出门吗 |
[03:43] | Mom, it’s just a blouse. | 妈妈 只是件衬衫而已 |
[03:45] | That you can wear when you turn 18. No, 20. | 你18岁时可以穿它 不 20岁 |
[03:48] | Where did you get that? | 你在哪买的 |
[03:49] | Noreen doesn’t wear it anymore, | 诺琳现在不穿了 |
[03:50] | so she gave it to me. | 就送我了 |
[03:53] | Change now, please. | 马上去换 |
[03:54] | Remember what my mother always said. | 别忘了我妈妈常说的 |
[03:56] | There are millions of children… | 数百万儿童… |
[03:58] | They share clothes now. | 她们现在还共穿衣服了 |
[03:59] | Looked expensive. | 似乎挺贵的 |
[04:00] | Carl loves spending money on his new wife– | 卡尔喜欢花钱宠他的新妻子 |
[04:02] | money I made from my book. | 用我靠我的书挣来的钱 |
[04:05] | You know, it makes him feel superior. | 让他觉得高高在上 |
[04:06] | You know, I may have someone for you– | 我或许能介绍个人给你 |
[04:08] | friend of Leon’s, divorced, two children, grown. | 李昂的朋友 离婚了 俩孩子 都是成年人 |
[04:11] | Oh, maybe. When I get back | 或许吧 等我从 |
[04:13] | from the Women’s Caucus Convention. | 女性党团大会回来再说 |
[04:15] | You seen any of them since Miami? | 迈阿密之后你跟她们见过吗 |
[04:19] | I shouldn’t have slammed Gloria and Bella in the press. | 我不该在媒体上批评格洛丽娅和贝拉 |
[04:22] | They slammed you right back. Didn’t they convince Nora Ephron | 她们也还击了 她们不是说服诺拉·埃夫隆 |
[04:25] | to write that bitchy account of you for “Esquire”? | 在《绅士》杂志上把你一顿黑吗 |
[04:26] | Nora doesn’t need convincing to write something bitchy. | 诺拉不需要人说服就会写恶毒的文章 |
[04:29] | Oh, well… | 这个嘛… |
[04:31] | And is that what everybody thinks? | 大家都是这么想的吗 |
[04:33] | That I’m the Wicked Witch of the West, | 我是西方恶女巫 |
[04:35] | and Gloria is Glinda? | 而格洛丽娅是南方好女巫格林达 |
[04:36] | No one thinks that. | 没人这么想 |
[04:38] | You know, somebody should tell Nora | 该有人告诉诺拉 |
[04:39] | that the real Wicked Witch of the movement | 这个运动里真正的恶女巫 |
[04:41] | is that Phyllis “Schafly” Woman. | 是那个叫菲莉丝·沙弗利的女人 |
[04:43] | She the one that looks like Dolly Parton? | 是长得像乡村歌星多莉·帕顿的那个吗 |
[04:45] | What’s the name of her group? Um– | 她的团体叫什么来着 |
[04:45] | No. She’s the other one from Illinois. | 不 是另一个人 来自伊利诺伊州 |
[04:47] | Oh, the one with the “STOP” signs and the blonde beehive? | 就是那个手举”反对”标牌的蜂窝头金发女吗 |
[04:50] | She is terrifying. | 她好可怕 |
[04:51] | And I do not buy for one second that she’s a real blonde. | 而且我完全不信她是天生金发 |
[04:54] | The ERA is in danger, | 《平权修正案》岌岌可危 |
[04:56] | and everyone is too busy fawning over Gloria to listen to me. | 而人人都忙着讨好格洛丽娅 没空听我说话 |
[04:59] | It’s absurd! Are they so blinded by all the hair? | 太荒谬了 她们是被她那一头长发蒙蔽了吗 |
[05:05] | So make them listen. | 那就逼她们听 |
[05:08] | You’re Betty Friedan, for chrissake. | 你可是贝蒂·弗莱顿啊 |
[05:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[05:40] | Well, you know who is a rising star in the Republican Party? | 你知道谁是共和党的后起之秀吗 |
[05:42] | Audrey here, | 奥黛丽 |
[05:44] | and I have recruited her to run for Vice President | 我还让她去竞选国家党团的 |
[05:46] | of the national caucus. | 副主席 |
[05:46] | I do not know if I’m a rising star, | 我不确定我是后起之秀 |
[05:48] | but I definitely stand out. | 但我绝对很显眼 |
[05:50] | – You were raised Republican? – No. | -你成长于共和党家庭吗 -不是 |
[05:52] | And my folks were not too happy about it. | 我父母对此可不开心 |
[05:55] | You know, I told you, you did not need to bring a fur coat. | 我跟你说了 你不用带裘皮大衣过来的 |
[05:58] | Well, I hauled it all the way down here. | 我大老远拖过来 |
[05:59] | I’m not taking it off. | 我才不要脱下 |
[06:00] | But now you’re schvitzing all over the place. | 但你遍体生津 |
[06:02] | – Schvitzing? – What? I’m trying. | -遍体生津 -怎么 我尽力了 |
[06:05] | Schvitzing? | 还遍体生津 |
[06:08] | Oh, we should bring Betty over. | 我们应该叫贝蒂过来 |
[06:10] | You think? | 是吗 |
[06:11] | So she wants to be Mother Superior. | 她就是想当女老大嘛 |
[06:13] | She’s earned it. We were in the wilderness for 40 years. | 这是她应得的 我们困在了荒野里四十年 |
[06:16] | She lit a match. | 是她点燃了火柴 |
[06:28] | Shirley! I wasn’t sure if you were coming. | 谢丽 我先前都不确定你会不会来 |
[06:31] | Hello, everybody. | 大家好 |
[06:33] | – Shirley. – Shirley, Betty. | -谢丽 -谢丽 贝蒂 |
[06:34] | Oh. This is Audrey. | 这是奥黛丽 |
[06:36] | Are you okay? You don’t look yourself. | 你还好吗 你看起来不太对劲 |
[06:38] | – Is it the investigation? – Ugh. It’s been a long year. | -是因为调查吗 -今年很漫长 |
[06:42] | You need a lawyer, I can get you some names. | 你需要律师的话 我可以介绍几个人给你 |
[06:44] | It’s just outrageous. It’s a witch hunt, you know. | 这太过分了 就是政治迫害 |
[06:47] | Investigating you for misuse of campaign funds instead of Nixon. | 因为滥用竞选资金调查你 而不去调查尼克松 |
[06:51] | I bet you’re having a great time at the White House right now. | 你现在在白宫肯定很尽兴吧 |
[06:54] | – It isn’t dull. – So can you tell us which | -不无聊就是了 -那你能告诉我们 |
[06:56] | of his advisors they’ll be calling to testify? | 会传唤他的哪个顾问去作证吗 |
[06:59] | Who do you think? | 你觉得呢 |
[07:00] | Well, my money is on Haldeman and Erlichman. | 我赌是霍尔德曼和埃利克曼 |
[07:03] | Of course. German. | 当然了 德国人 |
[07:04] | Yes. | 没错 |
[07:06] | You know who the government should be looking into– | 你知道政府真正应该调查的是谁吗 |
[07:08] | – Phyllis “Schafly.” – Schlafly. | -菲莉丝·沙弗利 -是施拉夫利 |
[07:10] | I was inspired by Woodward and Bernstein | 我受伍德沃德和伯恩斯坦的启发 |
[07:12] | to do some digging | 去调查了 |
[07:13] | into the funding of her STOP ERA operations, | 她在”反对ERA”活动中使用的资金 |
[07:16] | and you’ll never guess what I discovered. | 你们绝对猜不到我发现了什么 |
[07:21] | She’s a member of the John Birch Society. | 她是约翰·伯奇协会的成员 |
[07:24] | Do you think someone like her | 你觉得她这种人 |
[07:26] | will care if she gets called a Bircher? | 会在意别人叫她伯奇主义分子吗 |
[07:27] | You’ll have to do better than that. | 你的料得更猛些 |
[07:29] | Well, no, but if she’s a Bircher, | 不是 如果她是伯奇主义分子 |
[07:30] | there’s a good chance | 很有可能 |
[07:31] | that she’s got some white sheets in her closet. | 她私底下是个三K党 |
[07:33] | But we don’t have proof. | 但我们并没有证据 |
[07:35] | And they don’t exactly share their membership rolls. | 而且他们的会员名册不会对外公布 |
[07:37] | Well, we should use our resources to find evidence. | 我们得利用门路找到证据 |
[07:41] | Take her down. | 扳倒她 |
[07:45] | That is exactly what the men with money want us to do. | 这正中那些男性金主的下怀 |
[07:49] | They use women as a cover to orchestrate a catfight | 他们拿女性作幌子 挑起女人间的内斗 |
[07:51] | to distract everyone | 混淆视听 |
[07:53] | so they can sit in dark rooms and smoke cigars | 这样他们就能在背后逍遥自在 |
[07:55] | and count their money. | 坐收渔翁之利 |
[07:56] | The smartest thing for us to do is not engage with her at all. | 完全不跟她打交道才是明智之举 |
[08:01] | It’ll only create more headlines. | 不然只会制造更多头条新闻 |
[08:02] | I agree. Gloria’s right. | 我同意 格洛丽娅说得对 |
[08:04] | We should stick to the program, | 我们应该严格遵守计划 |
[08:06] | as they say in Weight Watchers. | 减肥互助会上就是这么说的 |
[08:08] | Like you would know what they say at Weight Watchers. | 说得好像你真参加过减肥互助会一样 |
[08:11] | Can we all make a pact right here and now | 我们能就地达成共识 |
[08:14] | not to give her the time of day? | 不要去搭理她好吗 |
[08:20] | Betty. | 贝蒂 |
[08:23] | Fine. I agree. | 好吧 我同意 |
[08:25] | I only show up when my help is needed. | 除非需要我帮忙 否则我绝不出手 |
[08:29] | Phyllis “Schafly” did not get this money | 菲莉丝·沙弗利的这笔钱 |
[08:32] | from her housekeeping money. | 并不是从她的养家费里掏出来的 |
[08:34] | I have found evidence | 我有证据表明 |
[08:36] | that she and her STOP ERA organization | 她和她的”反对ERA”组织 |
[08:40] | received funding from the John Birch Society, | 接受了约翰·伯奇协会的资金支持 |
[08:45] | and I believe she has ties to… | 我也认为 她同… |
[08:48] | the Ku Klux Klan. | 三K党关系密切 |
[08:52] | Yes, this is she. Yes. | 是我 没错 |
[08:56] | Who? | 谁 |
[08:58] | Oh, good morning. | 早上好 |
[08:59] | Funded by the Birch Society? I’m sorry, what? | 受到约翰·伯奇协会的资助 不好意思 什么 |
[09:02] | The Klan? Oh, no. Uh, this charge is ridiculous. | 三K党 这指控太荒唐了 |
[09:07] | I have not, uh, received a dime from any organization, | 我从未接受过任何机构的任何资助 |
[09:10] | unlike–well, that’s all– | 不像… 那都是… |
[09:12] | No, wait. Here’s a quote. | 不 等等 我的回应是 |
[09:15] | I hope Ms. Friedan keeps investigating, | 我希望弗莱顿女士继续调查 |
[09:17] | because it keeps her out of trouble. | 因为她有事忙就不会去给自己惹麻烦了 |
[09:19] | Sorry, when–when’s this article coming out? | 不好意思 文章什么时候见报 |
[09:21] | All right. Thank you for calling. | 好的 谢谢你的来电 |
[09:29] | This is terrific news. | 这消息简直太棒了 |
[09:31] | Betty Friedan, the most famous of the libbers, | 贝蒂·弗莱顿 最负盛名的女权分子 |
[09:33] | is attacking me in the press. | 在新闻媒体前攻击我 |
[09:35] | I thought Gloria Steinem | 我还以为格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 |
[09:36] | was the most famous libber. | 是最有名的女权分子 |
[09:38] | Well, the point is that they are acknowledging | 重点在于 她们这是在承认 |
[09:40] | that we are a force to be reckoned with. | 我们是一股不可小觑的力量 |
[09:42] | But isn’t it kind of awful? | 但这不是有些糟糕吗 |
[09:44] | I don’t wanna be associated with the John Birch society | 我可不想跟约翰·伯奇协会扯上关系 |
[09:46] | or the Klan or any racist groups. | 或是三K党 或是任何种族主义团体 |
[09:49] | No, the John Birch Society is–is not a-a racist group. | 不 约翰·伯奇协会不是个种族主义团体 |
[09:53] | It’s anti-communist. | 它只是反对共产主义 |
[09:54] | – Exactly. – Anyway, doesn’t matter, | -就是 -反正那不重要 |
[09:56] | because we’re–we’re not affiliated with anybody. | 因为我们并不隶属于任何一个组织 |
[10:07] | You’re not suggesting that I’m prejudiced. | 你不是在指我有种族偏见吧 |
[10:09] | – I… – No, no, of course not. | -我… -不 当然不是了 |
[10:13] | No one thinks that. The libbers lie all the time. | 没人那么认为 女权分子撒谎成性 |
[10:15] | And they’re getting even more desperate now that we’re winning. | 而且我们现在成功在望 她们更加走投无路了 |
[10:18] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[10:19] | If people only knew how close you are with Willie… | 大家是不知道你跟薇莉有多亲近… |
[10:22] | You taught her daughter how to read. | 你都教她女儿识字了 |
[10:25] | But is it possible some of the state chapters | 有没有可能有些州的分会 |
[10:28] | are taking money from these groups? | 在接受这些团体的资助 |
[10:30] | Maybe Mary Frances? | 比如玛丽·弗兰西斯 |
[10:31] | Alice, now you know I run a tight ship. | 爱丽丝 我的严格管理你是知道的 |
[10:34] | Of course you do. | 我当然知道了 |
[10:36] | All right. Well, I will, uh, I will talk to her just in case. | 好 以防万一 我会去跟她谈谈 |
[10:39] | – Good. – Now the fact is that | -好 -现在的情况是 |
[10:41] | the libbers are running scared. | 这些女权分子害怕了 |
[10:44] | They have not a single good argument to make for the ERA, | 她们没有一点好的论据来支撑《平权修正案》 |
[10:47] | so they’re launching this, uh, smear campaign. | 所以她们只好抹黑我们 |
[10:50] | My husband and I are John Birch Society members. | 我和我丈夫就是约翰·伯奇协会的成员 |
[10:53] | Well, I… Well, that–that’s your right, | 我…这是你的权利 |
[10:56] | and I think maybe you should just keep that to yourself. | 但是这件事你自己知道就好 |
[10:59] | Now this article is coming out tomorrow, | 这篇文章明天就会发表 |
[11:01] | so we need to make a few hundred copies | 所以我们需要复印个几百份 |
[11:02] | and send them out to all our chapters | 发给我们的各个分部 |
[11:04] | and every radio news program, | 还有每一档广播新闻节目 |
[11:06] | ’cause we need to let them know that the, uh, | 因为我们要让大家知道 |
[11:08] | women’s lib leaders are making | 这些女权领袖 |
[11:09] | these ludicrous attacks against me. | 对我的攻击有多么滑稽 |
[11:12] | I’ll just go and fill this up. | 我去接水 |
[11:14] | All right. Let’s get to it, huh? | 好了 都行动起来吧 |
[11:36] | No, I can–I can wait. | 没事 我等一下吧 |
[11:37] | Please. Go ahead. | 您请 |
[11:44] | The article will call attention to the fact | 这篇文章会引起大家的关注 |
[11:46] | that even though thousands of lives will be saved, | 即便会有成千上万的生命得以拯救 |
[11:49] | abortion isn’t affordable for poor women. | 贫困女性仍然负担不起堕胎费用 |
[11:52] | My pitch is also about abortion. | 我的点子也是关于堕胎的 |
[11:54] | I know we’re all eager to write about Roe, | 我知道大家都很想写罗的案子 |
[11:56] | but we should at least have a couple of articles | 但我们至少也要涵盖几篇 |
[11:58] | about other areas of the movement. | 运动中其他议题的文章吧 |
[12:00] | But it’s all I can think about. | 我只能想到这个了 |
[12:03] | Margaret, you have something? | 玛格丽特 你有什么想法吗 |
[12:06] | I would like to explore the idea | 我想探讨 |
[12:08] | of tokenism in the workplace. | 在职场中搞门面主义的问题 |
[12:14] | This phenomenon that happens where one minority is propped up | 这种现象是指 扶持出了一名少数族裔 |
[12:18] | to cover the experience of an entire population. | 就认为代表了其整个群体 |
[12:22] | Like the white population, we are diverse within ourselves. | 如同白人一样 我们黑人也是多样化的 |
[12:26] | What does that mean, diverse within ourselves? | 什么意思 你们也是多样化的 |
[12:31] | There is not a monolithic black experience. | 黑人的经验和经历不是单一的 |
[12:35] | Wait. Sorry, you’re not saying you feel that way here. | 等等 你在这里没有这种感受吧 |
[12:39] | Uh, look at our latest issue. | 看看我们上一期杂志 |
[12:42] | No. No, not at all. | 不 完全没有 |
[12:44] | If you ever feel that way, you should say something. | 如果你有这种想法 就应该说出来 |
[12:47] | There’s no hierarchy here. | 我们不搞等级制度 |
[12:49] | Right. | 没错 |
[12:51] | I’ve been doing a lot of research about a new organization | 我对一个突然兴起的新组织 |
[12:53] | that just sprang up– STOP ERA. | 做了很多调查 “反对ERA” |
[12:56] | Phyllis Schlafly and a bunch of housewives | 菲莉丝·施拉夫利和一群家庭主妇 |
[12:58] | take bread to legislators. | 给立法者送面包 |
[13:00] | God, yes, we know about the bread. | 老天 行了 我们知道送面包的事 |
[13:04] | My feelings exactly. | 我也是烦她 |
[13:06] | I know, but now– | 我知道 但是现在… |
[13:07] | I don’t think we should give her any airtime at all. | 我觉得我们不应该给她任何关注 |
[13:09] | I know, but now that Betty’s been invited to debate her… | 但是现在贝蒂受邀要和她辩论… |
[13:12] | What? | 什么 |
[13:13] | – “Ms.” Magazine. – At Illinois State University. | -《女士杂志》 -在伊利诺伊州立大学 |
[13:16] | – Excuse me? – “Ms.” Magazine. | -什么 -《女士杂志》 |
[13:17] | How can I help you? | 有什么可以帮您的吗 |
[13:20] | “Ms.” Magazine. How can I help you? | 《女士杂志》 请问有什么事吗 |
[13:22] | What’s going on with the phones? | 这么多来电是什么情况 |
[13:28] | “Ms.” Magazine. | 《女士杂志》 |
[13:31] | What? | 什么 |
[13:34] | Where did you get this number? | 你从哪得到的电话 |
[13:36] | Which magazine? | 什么杂志 |
[13:39] | No, you’re not gonna find anyone to lick your balls. | 没人愿意舔你的蛋 |
[13:43] | Sorry, what? | 不好意思 什么 |
[13:45] | I’m wearing a… | 我穿着… |
[13:47] | I guess you could say it’s a coral sweater. | 应该是一件珊瑚色毛衣 |
[13:51] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[13:57] | Can we get a copy of “Screw” Magazine? | 能找本《”日”报》杂志来吗 |
[14:19] | I was leading the same kind of life | 在那时 我过着一种 |
[14:21] | that all of us were supposed to be leading at that time. | 所有人都应该过的生活 |
[14:24] | You know, I had my three children. | 我有三个孩子 |
[14:26] | And I’d had a newspaper job | 在一家报社工作 |
[14:28] | and been fired because I was pregnant, | 但因为怀孕被开除了 |
[14:30] | and I wasn’t even aware or conscious | 我当时根本没发现 也没意识到 |
[14:33] | of the women’s problem. | 女性的难题 |
[14:35] | I thought there was something wrong with me because | 我还以为是自己出了问题 |
[14:38] | I-I didn’t have an orgasm waxing the kitchen floor. | 因为我没法在给厨房地板打蜡时高潮 |
[14:41] | I’m– | 我… |
[14:43] | How did you come to write “The Feminine Mystique”? | 你是怎么想到要写《女性的奥秘》的 |
[14:45] | I was feeling that my education at Smith | 我感觉我在史密斯学院接受的教育 |
[14:47] | hadn’t prepared me for being just a housewife. | 让我无法只当一名家庭主妇 |
[14:51] | So I decided to send out a questionnaire | 所以我决定给我的史密斯校友们 |
[14:55] | to my fellow Smith alumni to find out if anyone else | 发一份调查问卷 看看有没有人也觉得 |
[14:57] | felt like freaks in the suburbs. | 住在市郊让人抓狂 |
[14:59] | Did you have any idea that your book | 你有想过你的书 |
[15:01] | would have the effect it did? | 会产生这么大的影响吗 |
[15:02] | You know, it was like everybody was waiting | 这事就好像是 大家都在等着 |
[15:04] | to have it put into words– the problem that has no name. | 能有人把这个无名的难题写成文字 |
[15:08] | – And so what– – Well, seems like you got | -于是… -这么看来 |
[15:10] | a runaway best-seller on your hands. | 一本抢手的畅销书就成了啊 |
[15:11] | And it seems like you have a habit of interrupting. | 看来打断别人是你的习惯啊 |
[15:15] | Do you know what I do if my husband interrupts me? | 你知道我丈夫打断我的时候 我会怎么做吗 |
[15:17] | I say the word “Orgasm” 10 times in a row, and it gets– | 我会连说10次”性高潮” |
[15:21] | so it shuts him right up. | 立马就能让他闭嘴 |
[15:23] | Well, I think it– | 我觉得… |
[15:24] | Orgasm. | 性高潮 |
[15:26] | Orgasm. | 性高潮 |
[15:28] | Orgasm. Orgasm. Orgasm. Orgasm. | 性高潮 性高潮 性高潮 性高潮 |
[15:34] | Orgasm. Orgasm. Orgasm. Orgasm. | 性高潮 性高潮 性高潮 性高潮 |
[15:47] | And I’m growing even more impassioned, | 我甚至更加激情澎湃了 |
[15:49] | completely unaware that the strap of my dress had broken | 完全没发现我裙子的吊带断了 |
[15:53] | and my boob was hanging out. | 而我的胸正在外面晃荡 |
[15:56] | And… Well, you can imagine the pictures | 然后… 你可以想象一下 |
[16:00] | that ran in the press the next day. | 第二天刊登在媒体上的照片 |
[16:01] | – Oh, I can. – You know? | -不难想象 -对吧 |
[16:03] | And I am. | 我已经在想象了 |
[16:05] | So I will say that that kind of press | 确实 这种宣传 |
[16:07] | was invaluable in getting out the word. | 会对观点传播大有帮助 |
[16:10] | I will never forget watching that | 我永远都忘不了那一幕 |
[16:13] | march down 5th Avenue, women, arms linked. | 女性在第五大道 手挽着手阔步游行 |
[16:17] | Yes. When I got up to speak to the crowd at Bryant Park, | 是啊 我在布莱恩特公园对群众讲话时 |
[16:21] | it suddenly hit me that down through the generations | 我突然意识到 纵观过去一代又一代人 |
[16:24] | through history, our ancestors prayed, | 一段又一段历史 祖先们祈祷着 |
[16:27] | “I thank thee, Lord, I was not created a woman,” | “感谢上帝 我生而不为女人” |
[16:30] | and I said, from this day forward, | 而我说 从今天起 |
[16:33] | women all over the world will be able to say, | 全世界的女人都能够说 |
[16:35] | “I thank thee, Lord, I was created a woman.” | “感谢上帝 我生为女人” |
[16:39] | You know, there’s a saying in Pirkei Avot– | 你知道吗 《先祖伦理》中有句箴言 |
[16:43] | “Every assembly that is for a hallowed purpose | “凡为神圣目标的集会 |
[16:47] | shall in the end be established.” | 终必成立” |
[16:52] | I feel that mission strongly, yeah. | 我能强烈感受到这一使命 |
[16:58] | Uh, well, I’m gonna have another. You want another? | 我要再来一杯 你呢 |
[17:07] | Next week, I’m going all the way to Bloomington | 下周 我要去布卢明顿 |
[17:11] | to debate Phyllis “Schafly.” | 和菲莉丝·沙弗利辩论 |
[17:12] | – You’ve heard of her, yeah? – No. | -你听说过她吧 -没有 |
[17:14] | Well, you will soon. She’s very media-savvy. | 那你马上就会知道她了 她很会利用媒体 |
[17:17] | Everyone else underestimates her | 所有人都低估了她 |
[17:19] | because she looks like a Barbie doll, | 因为她长得像个芭比娃娃 |
[17:21] | but she opens her mouth and sounds like George Wallace. | 可一旦她张嘴说话 就如同乔治·华莱士 |
[17:24] | So it’s up to me to go save the ERA | 从她的诡辩中拯救《平权修正案》 |
[17:27] | from her specious arguments. | 就全看我的了 |
[17:29] | And I’m sure Gloria thinks it’s a mistake. | 我很肯定格洛丽娅认为这是个错误 |
[17:32] | Gloria Steinem– I have heard of her. | 格洛丽娅·斯坦奈姆 我倒听说过她 |
[17:34] | – Yeah. – What’s she like in real life? | -是吧 -她在现实生活中是什么样的 |
[17:40] | Why is everyone so infatuated with her? | 怎么所有人都为她神魂颠倒 |
[17:43] | I think it is because she’s very pretty. | 可能是因为她很漂亮 |
[17:53] | So have you ever been to Bloomington? | 你去过布卢明顿吗 |
[17:54] | It’s a shithole. | 就是个破地方 |
[17:55] | I can say that because I’m from Peoria. | 我有发言权 因为我是皮奥里亚人 |
[17:58] | Peoria. Peoria is very goyish. | 皮奥里亚可太不适合犹太人了 |
[18:02] | I bet you grew up drinking lime soda. | 我猜你是喝着柠檬苏打长大的 |
[18:04] | Yeah, yeah. | 是啊 没错 |
[18:06] | All–All my friends got into the sorority in high school, | 我的朋友在高中都进了女生联谊会 |
[18:10] | and I didn’t, of course, being Jewish. | 我是个犹太人 自然就没进得去 |
[18:14] | So they dropped me. | 所以她们就不理我了 |
[18:34] | You might wanna look at it in your office. | 你可能回办公室看比较好 |
[18:41] | It’s okay. | 没事的 |
[19:41] | Thanks, Dad. | 谢谢 爸 |
[19:42] | I won’t be home for dinner. | 我就不在家吃晚饭了 |
[19:44] | You’ve been out every night this week. | 你这周每天晚上都出门了 |
[19:46] | Where are you going? | 你去哪里 |
[19:48] | Sweetheart, the man has got plans. | 亲爱的 小伙子有他的打算 |
[19:50] | – Thanks. – Have fun. | -谢谢 -玩得开心 |
[19:52] | If you are seeing someone that you have to sneak around with, | 如果你的对象是那种只能偷着见的 |
[19:55] | the chances are you shouldn’t be seeing her in the first place. | 那你还不如一开始就别跟她谈恋爱 |
[19:57] | I’m not. | 我没有 |
[19:59] | Well, then where are you going? | 那你是要去哪里 |
[20:01] | Church, okay? Tommy asked me to play at his wedding. | 教堂 行吗 汤米让我给他的婚礼奏乐 |
[20:04] | I’ve been practicing on the church’s organ | 我一直趁晚上没人 |
[20:06] | at night when no one’s there. | 用教堂的管风琴练习 |
[20:10] | Ready? | 准备好了吗 |
[20:16] | You think they’ll have us facing each other. | 你觉得会安排我们面对面辩论吗 |
[20:18] | Well, that’s how we did it at Harvard. | 我们在哈佛就这么做的 |
[20:22] | All right, what–what do I do if, uh, | 好吧 那要是弗莱顿提起约翰·伯奇协会 |
[20:25] | Ms. Friedan brings up the John Birch Society? | 我该如何应对 |
[20:28] | Deny and deflect, just like you did in ’67. | 否认然后引开话题 就像你在67年那样 |
[20:31] | Even better, go on the attack and accuse her | 或者更厉害的 你可以反过来说她 |
[20:33] | of being a…a member of the, uh, Radicalesbians… | 是个女同激进派 |
[20:36] | Or whatever they’re calling themselves these days, | 随便她们现在是怎么自称的 |
[20:38] | and using the ERA to make it legal for homosexuals to marry. | 还有利用《平权修正案》让同性婚姻合法 |
[20:42] | Well, that’s good, but she’s actually the only one of them | 这是不错 但她其实是那群人里 |
[20:46] | who has disavowed the homosexuals. | 唯一一个反对同性恋的 |
[20:49] | And she called them the, uh, “Lavender Menace.” | 她把她们称作”紫色威胁” |
[20:52] | That’s clever. | 名字倒不错 |
[20:53] | But I could accuse her of pushing the ERA | 但是我可以指责她推动《平权修正案》 |
[20:56] | to enshrine abortion on demand in the Constitution. | 是为了把自愿堕胎写进宪法 |
[21:00] | Not the right crowd. | 受众不对 |
[21:01] | It’s important. | 这很重要 |
[21:02] | Not the right crowd. | 受众不对 |
[21:05] | So I’ll be Betty. | 我来当贝蒂 |
[21:08] | Betty, you’re– you’re quite handsome. | 贝蒂 你还挺帅气 |
[21:14] | First, you’ll each get an opening statement. | 首先 你们俩各自做开场陈述 |
[21:16] | Well, I have a-a good, uh, joke, uh, to start. | 我开场准备了个还不错的段子 |
[21:21] | It’s, uh, comparing the ERA | 是把《平权修正案》比作 |
[21:23] | to trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. | 用大锤打苍蝇 |
[21:26] | So you’re probably not going to kill a fly, | 你可能打不死苍蝇 |
[21:29] | but you almost surely will | 但是你肯定会 |
[21:30] | break up some of the furniture. | 打碎几件家具 |
[21:35] | You don’t think that’s funny? | 你觉得不好笑吗 |
[21:36] | I do, uh, but Betty doesn’t. | 我觉得好笑 但是贝蒂不觉得 |
[21:40] | So let’s start with the draft. | 那我们从征兵开始说 |
[21:41] | Right, well, Congress, uh, currently has the power | 好 国会目前有权 |
[21:46] | to exempt women from the draft, | 让女性免除兵役 |
[21:48] | but the ERA would unfairly take away that power, | 但是《平权修正案》就会不公地夺走这一权力 |
[21:51] | and, uh, send our daughters into the front lines, | 把我们的女儿送上前线 |
[21:54] | uh, into combat duty, allow– | 让她们出生入死 |
[21:55] | But, uh, earlier this year, the Secretary of Defense | 但是今年早些时候 国防部长 |
[21:58] | announced the end of the draft. | 宣布停止征兵了 |
[22:00] | Yes, but there are already bills in Congress to reinstate the draft. | 是没错 但是国会已经提出了法案要恢复征兵 |
[22:04] | Now, um, I don’t know anybody who has the solution | 没人有办法 |
[22:07] | to any wars for all time. | 永远结束战争 |
[22:10] | So the question is, | 我的问题是 |
[22:12] | do we want women to be treated just like men? | 我们想让女性和男性一样被同等对待吗 |
[22:15] | Uh, Vietnam, uh, | 越南战争 |
[22:17] | did you see any women running to the draft board, saying, | 你有见到哪位女性跑到征兵局说 |
[22:20] | “I want my equal rights to be drafted just like the men”? | “我想和男性一样拥有被征兵的权利”吗 |
[22:22] | Well, that’s a distracting argument. | 这个论点是在分散注意力 |
[22:24] | No, I think it’s a crucial argument, because– | 不 我觉得这至关重要 因为 |
[22:25] | If the ERA passes, and they do reinstate the draft… | 就算《平权修正案》通过 他们也恢复了征兵 |
[22:29] | Women would not be forced to go to war | 女性也不会被强制要求上战场 |
[22:31] | because the military has the right | 因为军队有权 |
[22:33] | to determine who goes into combat. | 决定派谁去打仗 |
[22:34] | Yes, but they wouldn’t be able to make those determinations | 是 但那些决定就不是 |
[22:36] | on the basis of sex. It would be unconstitutional. | 基于性别作出的了 这是违宪的 |
[22:39] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[22:41] | Let’s, uh…you say that the ERA will take away | 你说《平权修正案》会剥夺 |
[22:46] | the rights of, uh, full-time homemakers. | 全职主妇的权利 |
[22:48] | – That’s right. – But– | -没错 -但是 |
[22:49] | Since it is the woman who has the baby. | 因为生孩子的是女性 |
[22:51] | so our current law recognizes this fact, | 因此现有法律认可这一事实 |
[22:53] | and it allows the woman her right to stay in her home | 允许女性有权待在家中 |
[22:56] | with her baby and be supported by the husband. Now– | 照看孩子 得到丈夫的供养 |
[22:58] | That is not the law. That is the norm. | 这不是法律 这是常态 |
[23:00] | Yes, but the law clearly | 但是法律明确规定 |
[23:02] | places the financial burden on the husband. | 让丈夫承受经济负担 |
[23:04] | When your father lost his job, | 你父亲失业后 |
[23:05] | did the law protect your mother? | 法律保护了你母亲吗 |
[23:09] | Fred… | 弗莱德… |
[23:12] | Betty Friedan doesn’t know about that– | 贝蒂·弗莱顿不知道这件事 |
[23:14] | Didn’t she have to go out and get two jobs | 她是不是得出门打两份工 |
[23:15] | – just to keep food on the table? – You’re not being fair. | -才能勉强养家糊口 -你这么说不公平 |
[23:18] | It’s–I’m making a point. It’s a debate. Fight back. | 我在表达观点 这是场辩论 回击啊 |
[23:21] | – Stop– – Did the law protect your mother? | -别 -法律有没有保护你妈妈 |
[23:22] | – Stop it. – Who took her privileges away? | -别说了 -是谁夺走了她的特权 |
[23:24] | I said stop it. You’re just trying to make me emotional. | 我说了住嘴 你这是在故意激怒我 |
[23:27] | See, that’s how you win a debate. | 瞧见没 这样才能赢下辩论 |
[23:50] | Why aren’t you at your lesson? | 你怎么没去上课 |
[23:52] | Aunt Eleanor said I didn’t have to go in. | 埃莉诺姑妈说我不用下水 |
[23:55] | Well, it’s not up to Aunt Eleanor. | 埃莉诺姑妈说了不算 |
[23:57] | Come on. Your swim teacher’s waiting. | 快点 游泳老师在等着呢 |
[23:58] | Well, Anne wasn’t up for it today. | 安今天不想去 |
[24:01] | When you were in Philadelphia, she had a scare in the pool. | 你在费城的时候 她在泳池受到了惊吓 |
[24:05] | Well, the longer she waits, the harder it will be. | 她等得越久 就越难学会 |
[24:15] | – I don’t want to. – Let her take her time. | -我不想去 -让她慢慢来吧 |
[24:18] | Fear will not be something that stops my child. | 我的孩子不能被恐惧打倒 |
[24:20] | Now fear is not gonna stop you. | 你不能被恐惧打倒 |
[24:29] | All right. | 来 |
[24:51] | See? Now it’s done. | 看见没 完成了 |
[24:55] | You did great, sweetheart. | 你做得很棒 亲爱的 |
[25:00] | Yeah. You really did. | 真的很棒 |
[25:13] | It’s not even you. | 那根本不是你 |
[25:14] | That is me. She has my hair. | 就是我 跟我一样的发型 |
[25:16] | She has my face, my aviators. | 一样的脸蛋 一样的飞行员眼镜 |
[25:18] | And my labia. | 还有跟我一样的阴唇 |
[25:23] | Well, I had a few blissful months | 至少我这几个月以来 |
[25:25] | of feeling I had control over my body. | 还能有幸感到我的身体由我做主 |
[25:27] | It’s the copy of the cease and desist letter | 这是禁止令的副本 |
[25:29] | I sent to Al Goldstein’s office. | 已经发到了阿尔·戈德斯坦的办公室 |
[25:29] | 美国色情皇帝 该杂志创办人之一 | |
[25:31] | That should shut him up. | 这应该能让他闭嘴了 |
[25:32] | The damage is done. He can’t take back that I saw it. | 伤害已经造成 他无法收回我看过的事实 |
[25:35] | Could you also send a cease and desist letter | 你能也发一份禁止令 |
[25:37] | to Betty’s apartment? | 到贝蒂的公寓吗 |
[25:38] | I don’t understand how a respected university | 我搞不懂为什么一所有声望的大学 |
[25:41] | invites Betty Friedan to share the stage with a woman | 会邀请贝蒂·弗莱顿与一位 |
[25:43] | who gets her funding from the Birchers and the Klan. | 靠约翰·博奇协会和3K党资助的女人同台辩论 |
[25:45] | She couldn’t prove it, and no one cares. | 她没法证明 也没人在乎 |
[25:48] | It could go well. Betty’s a force of nature. | 效果可能会很好 贝蒂实力不容小觑 |
[25:51] | She will terrorize her. | 她会吓到她的 |
[25:53] | The problem is the press follows Betty wherever she is. | 问题是记者一直跟着贝蒂 |
[25:56] | Phyllis will get media attention, | 菲莉丝就会得到媒体关注 |
[25:57] | which is what she’s after. It’s a mistake. | 而这正是她想要的 这是个错误 |
[26:00] | – So stop her. – Me? You stop her. | -那就阻止她 -我 你去阻止她 |
[26:03] | It’s not my attention she’s after. | 她又不是在追求我的关注 |
[26:04] | We’re a political movement, not a sorority. | 我们这是政治运动 不是姐妹会 |
[26:10] | Every time I reach a hand out to her, | 每次我向她伸出援手 |
[26:11] | I pull back a bloody stump. | 我的手都会被砍断 |
[26:13] | Well, get used to it. | 早点习惯吧 |
[26:14] | Men are gonna try and tear you down, | 男人想要把你拉下马 |
[26:15] | and women are gonna compete with you, | 女人则想要与你竞争 |
[26:16] | and you have to deal with both. | 你必须得同时应付这两方 |
[26:19] | What I would give to write a book that women talk about | 我多想写出一本能作为女人谈资的书 |
[26:22] | like they talk about “The Feminine Mystique.” | 就像她们谈论《女性奥秘》一样 |
[26:25] | I would retire to the Hamptons | 我多想退休 到汉普顿生活 |
[26:27] | and listen to the waves crashing. | 倾听海浪滔滔 |
[26:29] | You’re gonna be late for your lunch. | 你午餐要迟到了 |
[26:32] | Can you try and get Betty Friedan on the phone | 你能尝试在我回来之后 |
[26:34] | – when I get back? – Sure. | -打通贝蒂·弗莱顿的电话吗 -好 |
[26:37] | Don’t try too hard. | 也不用太强求 |
[26:52] | Mom? | 妈妈 |
[26:53] | Please don’t make a scene. | 请你不要当众大吵大闹 |
[26:55] | If she didn’t want a scene, | 如果她不想我大吵大闹 |
[26:56] | then she shouldn’t have given you a blouse | 她就不应该送你那种 |
[26:58] | that’s only appropriate for a certain type of grown-up woman. | 只适合特定类型的成年女性的衬衫 |
[27:11] | Betty, it’s so nice to see you. | 贝蒂 很高兴见到你 |
[27:14] | Loved your last column. | 我很喜欢你上一期的专栏 |
[27:16] | Who is this mystery man you went on a blind date with? | 你没见过面就去约会的那个神秘男人是谁 |
[27:20] | Oh, it was just a one-time thing. | 没有后续的 |
[27:22] | You know, he hasn’t called. | 他没有给我打电话 |
[27:24] | Anyway, he wasn’t my type. | 而且 他也不是我喜欢的类型 |
[27:25] | Men. | 男人啊 |
[27:26] | I’m so happy you came to the door this time. | 我真高兴你这次上门了 |
[27:29] | I’ve been meaning to tell you, | 我一直想告诉你 |
[27:31] | you hear these horror stories. | 这种事被传得很吓人 |
[27:33] | The kids always hate the new wife, | 孩子们总是很讨厌后妈 |
[27:34] | but Emily has been wonderful, | 但是艾米丽真是太棒了 |
[27:37] | and I know that comes from you. | 我知道她一定是遗传了你的特点 |
[27:40] | I hope it’s okay I said that. | 我希望你不介意我这么说 |
[27:53] | Mom? | 妈妈 |
[27:58] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[28:01] | I love you more. | 我更爱你 |
[28:35] | Natalie. | 娜塔莉 |
[28:39] | I sneak up here sometimes to water the plants. | 我有时会偷偷来这儿给植物浇浇水 |
[28:42] | Betty has a black thumb. | 贝蒂不擅长种花草 |
[28:45] | I live in the apartment below. We’re–We’re good friends. | 我就住在楼下 我们是好朋友 |
[28:48] | Are you still at “Harper’s”? | 你还在《哈珀杂志》工作吗 |
[28:50] | Yes, but if you ever start a style section, | 是的 如果你什么时候要上时尚板块 |
[28:52] | I would be happy to consult. | 我很乐意做你的顾问 |
[28:54] | Just know that I am a very expensive hire. | 不过我收费很高就是了 |
[28:58] | I…I really need to speak to Betty. | 我真的很需要与贝蒂谈谈 |
[29:00] | I’ve been calling and calling. | 我一直在给她打电话 |
[29:02] | Oh, she’s traveling to the debate. | 她去参加辩论了 |
[29:05] | – Do you know which hotel she– – Well, she didn’t mention. | -你知道她住在哪个旅 -她没跟我说过 |
[29:09] | Okay, well…thanks. | 好吧 谢谢 |
[29:13] | Betty knows what she’s doing. | 贝蒂知道自己在做什么 |
[29:21] | It’s just we all agreed on a– | 只是我们都同意… |
[29:23] | Who agreed? You and… and Bella? | 谁同意 你和贝拉 |
[29:29] | We try and work with her, but she can be… | 我们试着和她一起共事 但是她 |
[29:32] | She has a difficult personality. | 她的个性太难相处了 |
[29:34] | Maybe you don’t see that side of her because you’re friends. | 也许你不觉得 因为你们是朋友 |
[29:36] | Oh, no. No, Betty is impossible. | 不不不 贝蒂的性格很糟糕 |
[29:39] | But without her, there’s no NOW, | 但是没有她 就不会有全国妇女组织 |
[29:41] | no Women’s Political Caucus, no NARAL. | 没有女性政治党团 全国堕胎权行动联盟 |
[29:45] | We get to do what we do because she risked everything. | 我们能做现在的事是因为她承担了风险 |
[29:50] | So before you tell her what she can and cannot do, | 所以在你告诉她什么能做什么不能做之前 |
[29:54] | consider just saying… thank you. | 考虑一下说声谢谢 |
[30:02] | I’d better get back to the office. | 我最好还是回办公室吧 |
[30:06] | It was good to run into you. | 很高兴遇到你 |
[30:28] | It’s 15 of y’all. Tell me I’m wrong. | 一共有15人 不是的话快告诉我 |
[30:30] | I don’t want nobody crying that they didn’t get a slice. | 我可不想有人因为没分到哭哭啼啼的 |
[30:32] | Can I have mine with vanilla frosting? | 我的那份可以放香草糖霜吗 |
[30:36] | What are you teaching this little girl? | 你都教这小姑娘什么了 |
[30:38] | You know what, honey? | 你知道吗 亲爱的 |
[30:40] | You go with your mom to “Ms.” | 你和你妈妈去”女士”那 |
[30:42] | And have all the vanilla frosting you want, okay? | 想要多少香草糖霜都行 好吗 |
[30:44] | Then we’ll listen to a record by The Beatles. | 然后我们要听披头士的专辑 |
[30:46] | – Why? – Well, hey there, Carol Brady. | -为什么 -好啊 卡罗尔·布雷迪 |
[30:51] | So how are things at the magazine? | 杂志怎么样了 |
[30:53] | Ah. Gloria says they’re struggling. | 格洛丽娅说她们在挣扎 |
[30:55] | They have an East Side office with outdoor carpeting | 她们有一个带户外地毯的的东区办公室 |
[30:58] | so your feet can feel good before going inside. | 这样进门前你的脚就会感觉很棒 |
[31:02] | I wanna struggle like that. | 我也想要那种挣扎 |
[31:04] | You want some milk, honey? | 想要点牛奶吗 亲爱的 |
[31:06] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 夫人 |
[31:08] | Now look, she’s so precious. | 她真可爱 |
[31:10] | Isn’t she good? | 她是不是很好 |
[31:11] | Oh, thanks, girl. | 谢了 姐妹 |
[31:13] | Hey, girl. We got cake out there. | 姑娘 那边有蛋糕 |
[31:18] | – I just cut the cake. – All right. | -我刚切了蛋糕 -好的 |
[31:21] | ‘Cause we don’t want white women to align with us. | 因为我们不想白人女人和我们结盟 |
[31:23] | – Ugh. Here she goes again. – Don’t start. | -她又来了 -别说了 |
[31:25] | Would you like a slice? | 要来块蛋糕吗 |
[31:26] | – Thanks, girl. – Oh, no, thank you. | -谢谢了 姐妹 -不了 谢谢 |
[31:30] | Don’t get duped into working with an alien political project. | 不要被骗去参与一个不熟悉的政治活动 |
[31:35] | You know, I never confuse a lawn mower with a shoe. | 你知道 我从不会分不清割草机和鞋 |
[31:41] | Both are useful | 都很有用 |
[31:43] | as long as you don’t mistake one for the other. | 只要你不把一个错认成另一个 |
[31:47] | We can get along with white feminists. | 我们可以和白人女权主义者相处 |
[31:53] | You know, I don’t have a problem with Margaret and her kind, | 我不介意玛格丽特和她的同类 |
[31:55] | but their kind of talk puts gender before race. | 但她们把性别置于种族之前 |
[31:58] | Wait a minute. Margaret’s kind? | 等等 玛格丽特的同类 |
[32:00] | If we include lesbians, | 如果我们吸纳女同性恋 |
[32:01] | we’re not gonna get support from the Black Power movement. | 我们就得不到黑人民权运动的支持 |
[32:05] | You’ve got to be kidding me. | 你一定是在跟我开玩笑 |
[32:15] | You wanna talk about it? Let’s talk about it. | 你想谈谈吗 那就谈一谈吧 |
[32:18] | There will be no “Lavender Menace” bullshit here. | 我们这里不会有”紫色威胁”那种破事 |
[32:22] | Lesbians are welcome. | 我们欢迎女同性恋 |
[32:24] | Horizontal hostility is not. | 不欢迎弱势群体内讧 |
[32:33] | Where’s my milk? | 我的牛奶在哪 |
[32:36] | Oh, shit, I’m sorry, baby. | 该死 对不起 亲爱的 |
[32:38] | Tell everybody what you say whenever the kids at school | 跟大家说每当在学校里有人问你妈妈为什么是同性恋时 |
[32:40] | ask you why your mama is gay. | 你是怎么说的 |
[32:41] | I say, “Why is your mom straight?” | 我说”为什么你妈妈是异性恋” |
[32:47] | Gimme five. | 击个掌 |
[32:48] | Oh, Doris can start her own damn organization | 桃瑞丝可以自己成立个组织 |
[32:50] | because we embrace everyone in this one. | 因为我们这里接纳所有人 |
[32:53] | – That’s right. – You call this an organization? | -没错 -你把这称为组织 |
[32:56] | It’s just this– Sundays at Flo’s. | 这就是 在弗洛家的周日聚会而已 |
[32:58] | Well, you think you can do better? | 你觉得你能做得更好吗 |
[33:00] | I am sick and tired of y’all bitches | 我已经厌倦你们这些贱人 |
[33:03] | always talking ’bout y’all need to form somethin’. | 总是说你们要建立什么 |
[33:05] | You wanna form somethin’? Go on then. Form it. | 你们想建什么吗 那就去建啊 |
[33:27] | You must be Betty Friedan. Phyllis Schlafly. | 你就是贝蒂·弗莱顿吧 菲莉丝·施拉夫利 |
[33:34] | How do the Birches feel about you powdering your nose | 伯奇主义分子要是知道你在一个黑白混用卫生间 |
[33:36] | in an integrated bathroom? | 补妆会怎么想 |
[33:39] | Well, I imagine the same way that the militant lesbians | 我想跟激进的女同性恋知道 |
[33:42] | feel about you even powdering yours. | 你还会补妆的感觉一样 |
[33:46] | Just think if we had the ERA. | 想想如果我们有《平权修正案》 |
[33:48] | All the pedophiles and perverts lurking in those stalls | 那些潜伏在隔间里的恋童癖和变态 |
[33:51] | would get to witness this special moment. | 将见证这个特别的时刻 |
[34:04] | Oh, are you here to escort me to the stage? | 你是来护送我上台的吗 |
[34:07] | – I’m here with my wife. – My good luck charm. | -我是和妻子一起来的 -他是我的幸运符 |
[34:15] | You’ll need it. | 你会需要的 |
[34:21] | Ms. Friedan is, as you know, | 众所周知 弗莱顿女士是 |
[34:23] | the author of “The Feminine Mystique” | 《女性奥秘》的作者 |
[34:24] | and the mother of the women’s movement. | 也是女性运动之母 |
[34:29] | Thank you. Thank you very much. | 谢谢 非常感谢 |
[34:31] | And is, as I recently found out, a Peorian. | 而我最近得知 她是皮奥里亚人 |
[34:34] | – Yes. – Welcome back to Illinois. | -是的 -欢迎回到伊利诺伊州 |
[34:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[34:38] | Mrs. Schlafly, | 施拉夫利太太 |
[34:39] | who is going to speak from the STOP ERA position, is a Republican, | 她将站在”反对ERA”的立场 是共和党人 |
[34:43] | active in politics, and lives here in Illinois. | 活跃在政治圈 居住在伊利诺伊州 |
[34:48] | She is going to speak first. | 由她来首先发言 |
[34:53] | Well, before I start, girls, | 姑娘们 在我开始前 |
[34:56] | uh, I’d like to thank my husband Fred | 我想谢谢我的丈夫弗莱德 |
[34:59] | for letting me come here today. | 允许我今天来到这里 |
[35:02] | He never interferes with my, uh, civil liberties. | 他从不干涉我的公民自由 |
[35:05] | Whenever we have an argument, he always reminds me | 每当我们发生争执 他总是提醒我 |
[35:08] | of my constitutional right to remain silent. | 我有权行使保持沉默的宪法权利 |
[35:15] | Now let me see a show of hands of how many girls here… | 现在把手举起来 让我看看有多少姑娘们 |
[35:19] | – Women! – …want to be drafted… | -女性 -愿意被征兵 |
[35:21] | – We’re women! – into combat duty. How many? | -我们是女性 -上战场打仗 有多少 |
[35:23] | I want to say to the women… | 我想对女性说 |
[35:24] | And I think that to speak to | 而我认为这象征着 |
[35:26] | a certain degree of hypocrisy. | 某种程度上的虚伪 |
[35:26] | …they are too old to be called girls. | 她们老到不该被称为姑娘 |
[35:28] | – Men are called men. – Thank you, Betty! | -男人就都叫男人 -谢谢你 贝蒂 |
[35:29] | Then in a few months, we will have an all-volunteer army, | 几个月后 我们就会有一支全志愿军队 |
[35:32] | and I do believe that if we want the same rights as men, | 我相信若我们想要和男人相同的权利 |
[35:35] | we have to be able to accept the same responsibilities. | 我们就必须能承担相同的职责 |
[35:42] | Well, uh, you see, this is a fundamental difference | 这就是一个存在于 |
[35:46] | between the proponents and the opponents, | 支持者和反对者之间的基本分歧 |
[35:48] | is I don’t want my daughters killed in combat. | 我不想让我的女儿们死在战场上 |
[35:51] | – Oh, but your sons you’re okay with? – And the ERA | -但你不介意你儿子死在战场 -而《平权修正案》 |
[35:53] | – will positively– – Because I have two sons, | -会积极地 -因为我有两个儿子 |
[35:54] | and I don’t want them killed in war | 而我既不想让他们死在战场上 |
[35:55] | any more than my daughters. | 也不想让我女儿死在战场上 |
[35:57] | Ms. Friedan, it is still Mrs. Schlafly’s time. | 弗莱顿女士 现在仍是施拉夫利太太的发言时间 |
[35:59] | – Thank you. – How about we don’t send | -谢谢 -不如我们不要让 |
[36:00] | any of our children into combat? | 任何孩子上战场 |
[36:05] | No, no, no, no, no. | 不不不 |
[36:07] | No, you see, uh… | 不 你们看 |
[36:10] | a lot of, uh, naive people said that after Korea. | 朝鲜战争后 很多天真的人都这么说 |
[36:13] | You know, we’ll never get involved | 我们不会再被卷入 |
[36:14] | in another war in, uh, Asia. | 在亚洲的战争 |
[36:16] | But, uh, unfortunately, I don’t know anybody | 但不幸的是 没人有办法 |
[36:19] | who has a solution for ending wars for all time. | 永远结束战争 |
[36:22] | You know, I don’t have a crystal ball. Do you? | 我可没有预言球 你有吗 |
[36:27] | You keep insisting that a woman’s place is in the home, | 你始终坚持女性的归属是家庭 |
[36:30] | but you waltz around the country decrying us | 但你却在全国到处跑 谴责我们 |
[36:33] | for trying to open career opportunities to women, | 为女性争取开放的就业机会作出的努力 |
[36:36] | and this is what I can’t stand– the hypocrisy. | 这才是我无法忍受的 表里不一 |
[36:46] | I have always maintained that women today | 我一直以来都坚信 当今的女性 |
[36:48] | have true freedom of choice. | 能真正自由地去做选择 |
[36:51] | Now we can choose to be a full-time wife and a mother, | 我们能选择做一位全职太太和一位母亲 |
[36:54] | or you can choose to go into the workforce | 或者可以选择去工作 |
[36:56] | on the basis of equal pay for equal work, | 前提是同工同酬 |
[36:59] | or you can do both at the same time, | 或两者兼而有之 |
[37:01] | because your life is what you make it. | 因为你的生活由你自己说了算 |
[37:04] | – Oh, is that what you say… – Now on the American women– | -这就是你要说的 -在美国女性 |
[37:07] | …to the woman who chooses to be a full-time wife | 对那些选择成为全职太太和 |
[37:09] | – and mother? – Mm-hmm. | -母亲的女性 -是的 |
[37:09] | The housewife that you claim to care so much about? | 你声称非常关心的家庭主妇 |
[37:12] | Because they are the ones that are really discriminated against. | 因为真正受到歧视的正是她们 |
[37:15] | American women today are the luckiest class of people | 今天的美国女性是这世界上 |
[37:19] | on the face of the Earth. | 最幸运的一群人 |
[37:20] | – We can do anything – The law does not enforce | -我们可以做任何 -法律并不因为 |
[37:22] | – we want to do. – a woman’s right to | -我们想做的事 -一个女人结婚了 |
[37:23] | be provided for so long as she’s married. | 就给予她相应的保障 |
[37:25] | – That is a fairy tale. – I’m sorry, uh, uh, Chairman, | -这是天方夜谭 -抱歉 主席 |
[37:28] | I thought we were having a debate, not a free-for-all. | 我以为我们是在辩论 不是自由讨论 |
[37:30] | A woman cannot be insured in her own right for Social Security, | 女性无法靠自己获得社会保障 |
[37:34] | and if her marriage ends in divorce, | 如果最后婚姻破裂 |
[37:36] | all the work she did in the home for all those years | 她多年来对家庭付出的一切 |
[37:38] | is not taken into account in the settlement. | 离婚协议中也不会予以考虑 |
[37:41] | There is no provision in existing law | 现有法律并未规定 |
[37:44] | to enforce alimony and child support. | 任何离婚扶养费和子女赡养费 |
[37:47] | But, hey, your life is what you make of it, right? | 不过 你的生活由你自己说了算 对吧 |
[37:58] | Now we have heard a lot of, uh, emotional oratory from my, uh, opponent, | 对方辩友运用了大量煽动性的话术 |
[38:04] | but not one single fact | 但却完全没有提到 |
[38:06] | about what the Equal Rights Amendment will do to benefit women. | 《平等权利修正案》会为女性带来什么好处 |
[38:10] | My opponent accuses me of emotional oratory when she… | 对方在控诉我使用煽动性话术的同时 她… |
[38:10] | You see, it won’t give them | 它并不能为她们 |
[38:11] | any rights or privileges that they don’t already have. | 争取到女性目前没有的任何权利或特权 |
[38:14] | …scares women that they should stop the likes of us | …却在恐吓女性 怂恿她们阻止我们这类人 |
[38:16] | as if we’re a communist for asking that the government | 仿佛我们因为要求政府为托儿所提供资金 |
[38:19] | fund childcare centers. | 就成了共产党 |
[38:21] | I don’t believe that we should look to the government | 我不认为 我们需要诉诸政府 |
[38:24] | and our–our Constitution to solve our personal problems. | 或宪法 来解决我们的个人问题 |
[38:32] | You see, this is the false lure | 女性解放运动的 |
[38:35] | of the women’s liberation movement–happiness. | 诱人伎俩就在于 幸福 |
[38:39] | Because the fact is, girls, | 姑娘们 因为事实上 |
[38:41] | the ERA will not solve your personal problems. | 《平权修正案》解决不了你们的个人问题 |
[38:46] | It will not hand you a happy home life. | 它无法给你带来幸福的家庭生活 |
[38:49] | It won’t give you a Sunday kind of love, | 也给不了你流行歌里唱的那种 |
[38:52] | as the, uh, popular song goes, and it certainly will not, uh, | “周日般的恋爱” 当然更加无法 |
[38:56] | keep your husband from being jealous or petty | 阻止你的丈夫变得善妒而小气 |
[38:59] | or dumping you in your middle age | 或在你人老珠黄时抛下你 |
[39:01] | for a new, younger model after you have, uh, devoted yourself | 在你为他辛勤操持家业二三十年后 |
[39:05] | to keeping his home for 20 or 30 years, | 转身投入年轻娇娘的怀抱 |
[39:09] | because you simply cannot legislate | 因为你根本不能靠立法来规定 |
[39:12] | universal sympathy for the middle-aged woman. | 全世界必须对中年女性抱有同情 |
[39:16] | Now remember this, before you throw away your youth | 记住这点 在你抛弃自己的青春 |
[39:20] | and your beauty and your virtue | 美貌和贞操之家 |
[39:23] | to join in this new sisterhood of misery– | 加入这个新的悲惨姐妹团… |
[39:26] | 比喻身为女性却屈服于男性利益的本性别背叛者 初见于50年代的芝加哥《保卫日报》 | |
[39:26] | You are a traitor to your sex. You’re an Aunt Tom. | 你是女性的叛徒 你就是汤姆阿姨 |
[39:29] | Now, uh, you are correct on one count. | 你倒是说对了一件事 |
[39:31] | I do leave my home on occasion, | 我确实偶尔会离开家 |
[39:33] | and I travel all over the country, | 周游全国各地 |
[39:35] | and I meet women from all walks of life, | 认识各行各业的女性 |
[39:36] | and you, Ms. Friedan, | 而你 弗莱顿女士 |
[39:38] | are the unhappiest woman I have ever met. | 是我见过的最不幸福的女人 |
[39:40] | And you are a witch! | 你就是个女巫 |
[39:42] | God, I’d like to burn you at the stake! | 天 我真想把你绑到火刑柱上烧死 |
[39:56] | Oh, no. Well, on the contrary, I’m pleased | 不会 恰恰相反 我很高兴 |
[39:58] | that, uh, Ms. Friedan made that comment | 弗莱顿女士说了那样的话 |
[40:00] | because maybe now people will realize | 也许现在人们会意识到 |
[40:02] | just how intolerant and intemperate | 《平权修正案》的支持者 |
[40:05] | the proponents of the ERA really are. | 是多么狭隘暴戾 |
[40:07] | Thanks so much for your time. | 谢谢你抽时间过来 |
[40:09] | Really appreciate it. | 真的很谢谢你 |
[40:10] | – Betty. – Yes. Uh… | -贝蒂 -好 |
[40:14] | – Ms. Friedan… – I…I…I can’t. | -弗莱顿女士… -我…不了吧 |
[41:08] | There she is. | 她来了 |
[41:14] | You’re in it, huh? | 你答应了 对吗 |
[41:18] | But you and Conrad are good. | 你和康拉德没事吧 |
[41:20] | The investigation’s taking a toll on us both. | 调查对我们俩都有影响 |
[41:25] | If you wanna be happy, if you wanna be sad, | 无论你是开心还是难过 |
[41:27] | I’m right here… | 我都在这里 |
[41:30] | and I got cake. | 我还带来了蛋糕 |
[41:38] | We missed you. | 我们很想你 |
[41:44] | We’re doing it. | 我们在行动了 |
[41:46] | We’re calling it the National Black Feminist Organization. | 我们起名叫国家黑人女性组织 |
[41:50] | And we put “National” in the title | 我们在头衔里加上”国家” |
[41:53] | just to get folks hooked, | 只是为了留住大家 |
[41:54] | and then they’ll break off and do their own thing. | 然后就会散伙 各干各的 |
[41:58] | Two years, they’ll be done with all of it. | 两年后 她们就不会再关心了 |
[42:01] | Two years? | 两年 |
[42:02] | That’s all the time folks got to be into this shit. | 大家对这种事的兴趣只能维持这么久 |
[42:05] | Not me, though. I’m a lifer. | 但我不是 我会投入毕生心血 |
[42:10] | The one thing that everybody could agree on | 大家都同意的是 |
[42:14] | is that you should be our first keynote speaker. | 要选你来做我们第一个演讲人 |
[42:22] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[42:24] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[42:30] | Oh, I can’t accept you boys are old enough to drive, | 我无法接受你们已经到了开车的年龄了 |
[42:33] | much less get married. | 更别提结婚了 |
[42:34] | Oh. Don’t worry. I’m perfectly happy living at home, | 别担心 我在家很开心 |
[42:38] | running around with commies and floozies. | 身边都是共产党和荡妇呢 |
[42:42] | Phyllis! | 菲莉丝 |
[42:46] | I just wanna say thank you for the work you’re doing. | 我只想谢谢你所做的努力 |
[42:49] | You put Betty Friedan in her place. | 你羞辱了贝蒂·弗莱顿 |
[42:51] | Finally, we have our own champion. | 我们终于有属于自己的话事人了 |
[42:52] | Well, thank you so much. | 谢谢你们 |
[42:59] | I know. I should shut my mouth and wear beige, | 我知道我应该闭上嘴巴 穿上米黄色的衣服 |
[43:02] | but my personal color analysis says… | 但是我的个人颜色分析… |
[43:04] | – Sit down. – …I’m a winter person. | -请坐 -我的风格偏冷 |
[43:06] | Oh. Go. Come on. | 来吧 |
[43:13] | – You look absolutely stunning. – Thank you. | -你看起来美极了 -谢谢你 |
[43:15] | I’d marry her again right now. | 我愿意此刻再次和她结婚 |
[43:18] | – What a special day. – My son may be getting married, | -今天真是个特殊的日子 -虽然我儿子要结婚了 |
[43:21] | but all anyone wants to know | 但是大家都只关心 |
[43:22] | is when the Phyllis Schlafly is arriving. | 菲莉丝·施拉夫利什么时候会到 |
[43:25] | You must be on top of the world. | 你一定很开心吧 |
[43:27] | – Congratulations. – Thank you. | -恭喜你 -谢谢你 |
[44:43] | 吃掉[去死] 爱你的阿尔·戈德斯坦 你在《”日”报》的朋友 | |
[45:19] | 《菲莉丝·沙弗利报告》 《平权修正案》对家庭的伤害 | |
[45:30] | 国家黑人女性组织 代表 谢丽·奇泽姆 | |
[45:40] | I didn’t mean to scare you. | 我不是故意吓到你的 |
[45:45] | We got to talking at Flo’s. | 我们要去弗洛家讨论 |
[45:51] | If you ever need a place for meetings or anything, | 如果你们需要一个开会之类的地方 |
[45:54] | you’re welcome to use our offices here. | 你们可以随时用我们的办公室 |
[45:59] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[46:02] | We’ll find something. | 我们会找到地方的 |
[46:32] | Natalie, I’ll come down to watch “Maude,” | 娜塔莉 我会下楼看《莫德》的 |
[46:33] | but I’m not hungry, and I don’t wanna talk about the– | 但是我不饿 我也不想聊… |
[46:36] | It’s Gloria. | 我是格洛丽娅 |
[46:42] | Oh. Hello, Gloria. | 你好 格洛丽娅 |
[46:46] | If I had to be on the same stage as that woman… | 如果我和那女人一起在台上 |
[46:51] | I would’ve called her something worse than “witch.” | 我嘴巴里会蹦出比”女巫”更过分的词 |
[46:55] | Yeah, that was restrained for me. | 嗯 我已经很克制了 |
[47:00] | You were right. | 你说得没错 |
[47:04] | We don’t get to decide how the battle lines are drawn | 我们无法决定战线划在哪里 |
[47:08] | or how the male press portrays us. | 或者男权媒体对我们的描述 |
[47:12] | I’ve been thinking about the first time | 我一直在想我第一次 |
[47:13] | I read “The Feminine Mystique.” | 看《女性的奥秘》的时候 |
[47:16] | “Why should women accept this picture of a half-life, | “为什么女人只能接受半生浮华 |
[47:20] | instead of a share in the whole of human destiny?” | 无法在人类的命运中占据一席之地呢” |
[47:26] | I don’t know if I ever told you. | 我不知道我有没有告诉过你 |
[47:30] | Your book changed my life. | 你的书改变了我的人生 |
[47:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[48:39] | 菲莉丝·施拉夫利 关于这份资料 |