时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | [upbeat music playing] | |
[00:11] | [McEnroe] Well, nerds, the day has come, | 好了 书呆子们 这一天到了 |
[00:13] | one that all masochistic overachievers know well. | 这是一个所有喜欢自讨苦吃的优等生 都非常熟悉的日子 |
[00:17] | -[alarm blaring] -It’s early decision day. | 那就是提前批录取日 |
[00:18] | At exactly 4 p.m. this afternoon, Devi would know her fate with Princeton. | 在今天下午的四点整 德维将知道 她与普林斯顿大学有无缘分 |
[00:23] | Suffice it to say, she was feeling the pressure a bit. | 一言以蔽之 |
[00:26] | [yelping] | 她感觉有一点压力 |
[00:28] | [McEnroe] It could go either way. | 结果是好是坏都有可能 |
[00:29] | On the one hand, she was a star student. | 一方面 她是一名尖子生 |
[00:32] | On the other, she did have a few dings on the old résumé. | 另一方面 她过去的简历确实有一点污点 |
[00:36] | There was that teeny, tiny suspension sophomore year | 她高二那年有过因为说谎和霸凌 |
[00:39] | for being a liar and a bully. | 而被停学的小情况 |
[00:41] | -What? -I said you’re suspended. | -什么? -我说你被停学了 |
[00:44] | [McEnroe] That silly little time when Devi’s boyfriend | 德维的男朋友给她惹过一点小祸 |
[00:46] | robbed the Princeton admissions officer. | 偷了普林斯顿大学招生人员的钱包 |
[00:48] | Hi. Uh… | 嗨 |
[00:50] | I have your wallet. | 你钱包在我这里 |
[00:51] | [McEnroe] And that itsy-bitsy moment | 另外还有一个小状况就是 |
[00:53] | when Devi didn’t get a prized recommendation | 德维因为喊了以下这句话 |
[00:56] | because she yelled this… | 而没拿到宝贵的推荐信 |
[00:57] | Circumcised dick. | 割了包皮的鸡鸡 |
[00:58] | -[groaning] -[students gasp] | |
[01:00] | [McEnroe] If everything went right, | 如果一切顺利的话 明年秋天 |
[01:02] | she’d be sitting pretty as a Princeton Tiger next fall. | 她将成为普林斯顿大学的学生 过上安稳的好日子 |
[01:05] | And if it didn’t, well… | 而如果不顺利的话 |
[01:07] | -[toaster clangs] -[screams] | 那么… |
[01:09] | God. | 天啊 |
[01:11] | You okay, kanna? Big day. | 你还好吧 |
[01:13] | Mm-hmm. | 宝贝?今天是个大日子啊 |
[01:14] | Okay, I just wanna remind you | 好 我只想提醒你一句 |
[01:16] | that whatever happens today, you’re going to be all right. | 今天不管结果如何 你都会没事的 |
[01:19] | Uh, what do you mean “whatever happens”? Do you think I’m not gonna get in? | 你说“不管结果如何”是什么意思? 你觉得我不会被录取吗? |
[01:22] | No. No, I just wanna prepare you in case… | 不 我只是想让你 做好心理准备 以防… |
[01:25] | Mom, I don’t need this negative energy. Ugh! You’re gonna jinx me. | 妈妈 我不需要这样的负能量 你会给我带来霉运的 |
[01:29] | Can’t you just believe in me for one second? | 你就不能对我有点信心吗? |
[01:31] | Devi, hold… I do believe in you, but I… | 德维 |
[01:34] | [frantic music playing] | 等一…我对你有信心 可是我… |
[01:38] | Hey. Guess what. | 嘿 |
[01:40] | I heard from Jonah, who heard from Chris C, | 你猜怎么着? 乔纳跟我说了个消息 |
[01:41] | whose mom has a connection in the Princeton office, | 他听克里斯·C说的 他妈妈认识普林斯顿招生办的人 |
[01:44] | that Princeton admitted someone from our school. | 据说普林斯顿 |
[01:46] | [gasps] | 录取了我们学校的一个人 |
[01:47] | Think you’re gonna have a good day today. | 看来你今天会过得很愉快 德维 |
[01:49] | -[McEnroe] Suck on that, Devi’s mom. -[chuckles] | 德维的妈妈 看走眼了吧? |
[01:51] | [McEnroe] Devi’s dreams were about to come true. | 德维的梦想就要实现了 |
[01:54] | Ben all but confirmed that she was totally getting… | 本几乎证实了她的申请结果一定是… |
[01:57] | Deferred? | 延迟录取? |
[01:58] | [McEnroe] Deferred? | 延迟录取? |
[01:59] | How could those jackoffs defer you? | 那些混蛋怎么能延迟录取你? |
[02:01] | And if you got deferred… | 还有 如果你被延迟录取了… |
[02:02] | Then who the hell got in? | 那谁被录取了? |
[02:05] | [“Caramel Flake” by Tracy De Sá playing] | |
[02:07] | ♪ I used to be the type of girl That would hate on this nicotine ♪ | (申请状态:恭喜!) |
[02:11] | ♪ Uh, uh! ♪ | |
[02:12] | ♪ Caramel Flake ♪ | |
[02:13] | ♪ Caramel Flake, Caramel Flake ♪ | 好想做一次…梦想落空 |
[02:17] | Okay, this is not so bad. | 好吧 这也没那么糟 |
[02:18] | Getting deferred is not a rejection. | 被延迟录取又不是被拒绝 |
[02:20] | And, uh, you know what? We thought this might happen. | -而且我们想过会有这情况 所以… |
[02:22] | No, you thought this might happen. | -不 是你想过会有这情况 |
[02:24] | Because apparently, you think I suck just as much as Princeton does. | 很明显你和普林斯顿大学一样 都认为我很差劲 |
[02:27] | Devi, I do not think you suck. | 德维 我没有认为你很差劲 |
[02:29] | Well, you put it out in the universe I wasn’t getting in, and then I didn’t. | 你那乌鸦嘴说我不会被录取 结果我就真的没被录取 |
[02:32] | I never said you weren’t getting in. | 我从没说过你不会被录取 |
[02:34] | I was just… trying to manage your expectations. It’s… | 我只是想控制你的期望值 这… |
[02:38] | Mom, how hard is it for you to just say, “Devi, you’re definitely getting in”? | 妈妈 你说一句 “德维 你绝对会被录取的”有多难? |
[02:42] | Kanna, wouldn’t you feel worse right now if I had said that? | 宝贝 如果我之前那样说了 你现在不就会更难过了吗? |
[02:45] | No, because I would at least know | 不会 |
[02:47] | that my own mom doesn’t think I’m a total idiot. | 因为至少我会知道 我妈妈没有认为我是个十足的白痴 |
[02:50] | Devi… | 德维 |
[02:51] | [door opens] | |
[02:54] | -Hi. -Hi. | -嗨 -嗨 |
[02:56] | There were a ton of packages on the porch. | 门廊那里有一大堆包裹 |
[02:58] | Ooh, those are mine. | 噢 那些是我的 |
[03:01] | Lenny, I bought you some new looks. | 小伦 我给你买了些新衣服 |
[03:03] | I went absolutely bananas on the Tommy Bahama website. | 我在汤美巴哈马的网站上狂买了一通 |
[03:09] | Literally. | 我可没夸张哦 |
[03:10] | Nirmy, you spoil me. | 小尼玛 你太宠我了 |
[03:13] | I think I found myself a sugar mama. | 我感觉我找了个包养我的干妈 |
[03:16] | [both laugh] | |
[03:19] | Well, Len, I hope that you also bought Pati some nice things too. | 伦恩 我希望 你也给奶奶买了些好东西 |
[03:22] | Oh, I don’t need anything. | 噢 我什么都不需要 |
[03:24] | My love language is physical touch. | 我的爱之语是肢体接触 |
[03:27] | [Nalini] Oh my God. | 噢 我的天啊 |
[03:29] | Wow. I really should have stayed late at the office today. | 哇 我今天真不该这么早回来的 |
[03:32] | Oh, that reminds me. I better call that hotel and give them my credit card | 噢 这倒提醒了我 |
[03:35] | if we’re going to Palm Springs this weekend. | 如果我们这周要去棕榈泉的话 我最好打电话给那酒店 把我的信用卡提供给他们 |
[03:38] | I’ll go get your wallet. | 我去拿你的钱包 |
[03:42] | Ms. Warner, what did I do wrong? How could this have happened? | 华纳女士 我做错了什么? 怎么会发生这样的事? |
[03:45] | Devi, you did nothing wrong. You’re an excellent student. | 德维 你没做错什么 你是个很优秀的学生 |
[03:48] | You just happened to apply to a very competitive college. | 你只是申请了 一所竞争很激烈的学校而已 |
[03:51] | And getting deferred is not a negative thing. | 而且被延迟录取并不是一件坏事 |
[03:53] | Doesn’t feel positive. | 我不觉得这是好事 |
[03:54] | You can still get in regular decision. | 你还是可以在常规录取阶段被录取的 |
[03:56] | [groans] Regular. | 常规录取 |
[03:58] | -[clicks tongue] This is what I am now. -There is no shame in regular decision. | 我现在沦落到这番境地了 要常规录取并不是什么可耻的事 |
[04:02] | But you should apply to some other schools. | 但你也许应该申请几所其他学校 |
[04:04] | Okay, fine, fine. I’ll apply to other Ivies. | 好 行 我会申请其他藤校的 |
[04:07] | Maybe also have some safety schools on your list. | 或许你也该申请几所保底的学校 |
[04:11] | [scoffs] Ms. Warner, how dare you? | 华纳女士 |
[04:13] | I’m already suffering the indignity of regular decision. | 你怎么敢那样说? 我沦落到要常规录取已经够屈辱了 |
[04:15] | You do know that there are many phenomenal schools | 你应该知道有很多一流的学校 |
[04:18] | that are not Ivy Leagues, right? | 并不是常春藤盟校吧? |
[04:20] | Yes, and true beauty is on the inside. Let’s cut to the chase. | 我知道 而且内在美才是真的美 我们直接说正题吧 |
[04:23] | I need to go to Princeton. What’s our game plan? | 我得进普林斯顿大学 我们的策略是什么? |
[04:25] | At this point, I think you just wait and see. | 眼下 我认为你静观其变就好了 |
[04:28] | Mmm, not really my style. | 那不是我的作风 |
[04:30] | What about a sport? I don’t have any sports. | 在运动方面 下功夫如何?我没这方面的优势 |
[04:31] | Probably for a reason. | 这大概是有原因的 |
[04:32] | Yeah, I’m gonna do another class, add some more clubs, do a sport. | 好 我要再修一门课 多加入几个社团 然后参加一项运动 |
[04:36] | Don’t worry, Ms. Warner, I got this. | 别担心 华纳女士 我能行的 |
[04:40] | Wait, so… who did get into Princeton, if it wasn’t me? | 等等 |
[04:44] | [chuckles] | 既然我没被普林斯顿录取 那么被录取的是谁? |
[04:46] | Oh, I’m not at liberty to say. | 噢 我无权透露 |
[04:48] | You know, college-counselor confidentiality | 你知道的 升学顾问有保密义务 |
[04:51] | and… and all. | 还有 诸如此类的 |
[04:53] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[04:55] | Yeah. So it wasn’t a glitch or a funny prank. | 没错 所以不是搞错了 也不是有人在搞恶作剧 |
[04:57] | I was actually deferred. | 我是真的被延迟录取了 |
[04:59] | No! That’s the worst-case scenario. | 不!这是最坏的情况 |
[05:01] | I know, right? Thank you for your passion, Fabiola. | 就是说啊 感谢你这么激愤 法比奥拉 |
[05:04] | And Ms. Dubs won’t even tell me who the little snake is. | 华纳女士不肯说 被录取的是哪个狡猾如蛇的家伙 |
[05:07] | Ooh, there’s a snake? I hate them already. | 噢 有蛇吗?好讨厌啊 |
[05:09] | Oh, should we hate snakes? | 噢 |
[05:10] | They’re very instrumental to the ecosystem. | 我们该讨厌蛇吗? 它们对生态系统是有帮助的 |
[05:12] | I just can’t figure out who it is. | 我就是想不出那人会是谁 |
[05:14] | I know every single person who applied early. | 所有提交了大学早申的人我都认识 |
[05:17] | Is there, like, some Young Sheldon freshman I’m unaware of? | 是不是有某个我不知道的高一神童? |
[05:20] | Uh… Wait, Fab. | 等等 |
[05:23] | [tense music playing] | 法比 |
[05:24] | What happened with Yale? Did you get in? | 你的耶鲁怎么样?你被录取了吗? |
[05:27] | [clicks tongue] No, I did not get into Yale. | 没有 我没被耶鲁录取 |
[05:30] | Hey, their loss, ’cause you are incredible. | 嘿 那是他们的损失 |
[05:32] | [Eleanor] Ugh! What is wrong with these colleges? | 因为你很优秀 这些大学是怎么回事? |
[05:35] | How did they not see the perfection of the queens that sit before me? | 他们怎么就看不到 在我面前的这两位女王的完美之处? |
[05:39] | Oh, they will. Yeah, I’m working on it. | 他们会看到的 没错 我在努力了 |
[05:40] | Which reminds me. Aneesa, can I join the girls soccer team? | 这提醒了我 安妮莎 我能加入女子足球队吗? |
[05:44] | Respectfully, Devi, I’ve seen you get winded on an escalator at the mall. | 恕我直言 德维 我见过 你连坐商场里的自动扶梯都气喘吁吁 |
[05:48] | [sighs] Fair enough. | 你说得对 |
[05:49] | Oh hey, Paxton. | 噢 嘿 帕克斯顿 |
[05:51] | Are there any sports that require a little to no exercise? | 有没有什么运动是几乎不需要动的? |
[05:54] | Um… | |
[05:55] | The boys varsity swim team is looking for an equipment manager. | 男子游泳校队在招一个设备管理员 |
[05:58] | -Do you get a varsity letter for that? -Yep. | -当那个能拿到校队奖章吗? -能 |
[06:00] | [gasps] Noice. Wait up. | 太好了 等等我 |
[06:02] | Alrighty, team, onwards and upwards. | 好了 天天向上吧 各位 |
[06:05] | Although, if I do find out who stole my spot at Princeton, | 不过 要是让我查出 是谁抢了我普林斯顿大学的位置 |
[06:09] | I will destroy them. | 我非灭了他不可 |
[06:10] | Okay, bye. | 好了 拜拜 |
[06:13] | [exhales] So glad I got recruited and don’t have to do any of this. | 幸好我被招录了 不用经历这一切 |
[06:16] | See you guys later. | 再见咯 |
[06:17] | [school bell ringing] [Eleanor sighs] | 你们两位 |
[06:20] | [whispering] El. | 小埃 |
[06:22] | I’m the one who got into Princeton. | 我就是那个被普林斯顿录取的人 |
[06:23] | [gasps] Huh? | |
[06:24] | How? Why? What have you done? | 怎么会?为什么?你做了什么? |
[06:26] | I know. I’m sorry. I don’t know what happened. | 对不起 我也不知道发生了什么 |
[06:28] | I was just going to get a brochure, | 我当时就想去领份宣传册 |
[06:29] | then that nice lady started talking robotics with me, | 然后那位女士跟我聊起了机器人技术 |
[06:32] | and before I knew it, I was paying $70 to apply. | 我都还没反应过来 就交了70美元提交了申请 |
[06:34] | I got seduced, El. | 我是被怂恿的 小埃 |
[06:35] | That’s really bad. She’s gonna freak. | 那太糟糕了 德维她会气疯的 |
[06:38] | I know. What do I do? Should I confess? | 我知道 我该怎么办? 我要向她坦白吗? |
[06:40] | No, definitely don’t. | 不 绝对不要 |
[06:42] | Ugh! I can’t have you guys be in a fight right now. | 我不能让你们在这时候闹翻 |
[06:44] | This is the absolute worst timing. | 这无疑是最糟糕的时机 |
[06:46] | Why? | 为什么? 这不重要 |
[06:47] | Uh… Doesn’t matter. Just say nothing and hope she forgets. | 你就什么都别说 希望她忘掉这件事吧 |
[06:52] | But also, that’s really amazing, Fab. I’m so proud of you. | 不过 |
[06:57] | Oh! [chuckles] | 这真是太棒了 法比 |
[07:00] | [“Living Legend” by Ty Frankel, Chris Harris and Davide Giovara playing] ♪ Be careful what you say to me… ♪ | 我真为你感到骄傲 |
[07:05] | [McEnroe] It wasn’t all doom and gloom at Sherman Oaks High. | 舍曼奥克斯高中里 并不是只有沮丧与忧郁 |
[07:08] | Our other resident brainiac was in the middle of a victory lap. | 我们的另一位天才少年 正在进行胜利环游 |
[07:13] | That’s right, Ben Gross had gotten into Columbia. | 没错 本·格罗斯被哥大录取了 |
[07:17] | Notice anything different about me? | 注意到我有什么不同吗? |
[07:19] | Mmm… New cologne? [sniffing] It’s really lemony. | 你换了新的古龙水吗?柠檬味好浓啊 |
[07:22] | What? No, that’s the janitors mop bucket. | 什么?不 那是清洁工拖把桶的味道 |
[07:26] | -[Margot] Ah. -Peep the drip, babe. I got into Columbia. | 看我这身行头啊 宝贝 我被哥大录取了 |
[07:30] | I know you got into Columbia. | 我知道你被哥大录取了 |
[07:32] | The satellites orbiting in space know that you got into Columbia. | 在太空轨道运行的卫星 都知道你被哥大录取了 |
[07:34] | Anyway, come over tonight, celebrate with me. | 不管怎样 你今晚过来 跟我一起庆祝一下吧 |
[07:37] | Patty’s cooking a special dinner, and David Blaine’s doing close-up magic. | 帕蒂会做一顿特别的晚餐 大卫·布莱恩会来表演近景魔术 |
[07:40] | Wow, that’s an enticing offer. | 哇 这提议很吸引人 |
[07:43] | But I have a student art show after school, | 但放学后我要参加一个学生艺术展 |
[07:45] | and an alumni gallery owner’s coming. | 有个开画廊的校友会来 |
[07:47] | If he likes my stuff, he might show it. | 如果他喜欢我的画 说不定会拿去展出 |
[07:49] | Wow, that’s amazing. Maybe we’ll have two things to celebrate. | 那太棒了 也许我们会有两件值得庆祝的事 |
[07:52] | I’ll tell Patty to make dinner later. | 我会让帕蒂晚点做晚餐的 |
[07:53] | David says he has a hard out, but I know it doesn’t. | 大卫说他到点了就必须走 |
[07:55] | Oh. | 但我知道没那回事 |
[07:58] | I wonder if anyone’s done a study on the bacterial growth of a creamer station. | 我想知道有没有人研究过 奶精吧台的细菌滋生情况 |
[08:03] | I doubt it because no one wants to see those results. | 我想应该没有 因为没人会想看到那结果 |
[08:06] | Good point. | 有道理 听着 |
[08:07] | [inhales deeply] So listen, Kamala, the reason why I invited you to coffee | 卡玛拉 我之所以请你喝咖啡 |
[08:12] | is that I’ve just been appointed director | 是因为我刚刚被任命为了 |
[08:14] | of the Center for Global Health at Johns Hopkins. | 约翰斯·霍普金斯大学 全球健康中心的主任 |
[08:18] | Oh my God. Dr. Logan, congratulations. | 噢 天啊 洛根博士 恭喜你啊 |
[08:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[08:22] | I’ve really enjoyed being your advisor. | 当你的导师我真的很高兴 |
[08:25] | I think you’re immensely talented. | 我认为你很有才华 |
[08:27] | And I was wondering if you’d consider coming with me. | 我想问你你会不会考虑跟我一起去 |
[08:31] | Me? M-Move to Maryland? When? | 我吗?搬去马里兰?什么时候? |
[08:34] | I know it’s short notice, but, uh, I need to leave in three weeks. | 我知道这很仓促 |
[08:38] | Oh. | 但是我三周后就要走了 |
[08:39] | I don’t know if I could leave that quickly. | 我不知道我能不能这么快就离开 |
[08:41] | I have a lot going on here. | 我在这里还有很多事要做 |
[08:43] | For instance, um… | 比如说 |
[08:45] | I have a dentist appointment at the end of the month. | 我这个月底约了牙医 |
[08:47] | [inhales] I believe they have dentists in Maryland. [both chuckles] | 我相信马里兰那边也是有牙医的 |
[08:51] | I know it’s sudden, but this program would help bring | 我知道这很突然 |
[08:55] | cutting-edge medicine to the developing world, | 但这个项目将有助于 为发展中国家带去先进的医学 |
[08:57] | something that I know you’re passionate about. | 我知道这是你热衷的事 |
[08:59] | I am. It’s just… | 没错 只是… |
[09:01] | [woman] Whatever. | 我不管 |
[09:03] | Len, darling, I don’t understand why we have to wait. | 伦恩 亲爱的 我不明白我们为什么要等 |
[09:06] | All I wanna do is whisk you off to the beach. | 我只不过是想带你去海滩而已 |
[09:08] | I know, baby. | 我知道 宝贝 |
[09:09] | So then make like Jerry Maguire and show me the money. | 那就像《甜心先生》里的 杰瑞·马奎尔那样 让我赚大钱 |
[09:12] | Don’t worry. I have a plan. | 别担心 我已经计划好了 |
[09:14] | Thank you. You’re not gonna have to wait much longer. | 谢谢你 你不用再等多久了 |
[09:18] | [Dr. Logan] Kamala? | 卡玛拉? |
[09:22] | -You okay? -Oh. Yeah, sorry. | -你没事吧? -我没事 对不起 |
[09:25] | These satin pants are really slippery. I just slid right out of my chair. | 这缎子做的裤子很滑 我刚刚从椅子上滑了下来 |
[09:30] | So, what do you think of the job offer? | 那么 你觉得这个工作机会怎么样? |
[09:32] | Oh, it’s an amazing opportunity. | 噢 这是个很棒的机会 |
[09:35] | Could I just maybe have a day or two to mull it over? | 能给我一两天时间考虑一下吗? |
[09:37] | Of course. | 当然没问题 |
[09:39] | But if it sweetens the deal, | 不过再给你一点甜头吧 |
[09:40] | the job comes with a signing bonus and crab cakes. | 你接受这工作的话 |
[09:43] | [chuckles softly] | 可以拿到签约奖金和吃到蟹肉饼 |
[09:50] | Oh, hey, Fabiola. Are you coming to the barbecue for all the early admits? | 嘿 法比奥拉 你要来参加 |
[09:54] | Um, no. No, I… I don’t like parties or… or sauced meats. | 为被提前录取的人办的烧烤派对吗? 不了 我不喜欢派对和加了酱汁的肉 |
[09:59] | You haven’t told Devi yet, have you? | 你还没告诉德维 对吧? |
[10:01] | I just can’t. | 我说不出口 |
[10:03] | Okay, listen. | 好吧 听着 |
[10:04] | The barbecue is in the faculty lot. | 烧烤派对是在教职工停车场里举行 |
[10:06] | And you are not gonna run into her out there. | 你在那里是不会撞见她的 |
[10:08] | So just come for a minute. | 所以你就过来一会儿吧 |
[10:10] | You deserve to celebrate this amazing achievement. | 你应该庆祝一下这了不起的成就 |
[10:13] | Plus, you have to try my coleslaw. | 再说了 你得尝尝我做的凉拌卷心菜 |
[10:15] | It started out as egg salad. | 我用鸡蛋沙拉改做成的 |
[10:19] | [exhales] | |
[10:22] | So how come you wanna do a sport? | 话说你怎么会想要参加运动? |
[10:25] | You’re not, like, you know, athletic. | 你一向不怎么 你懂的 擅长运动 |
[10:29] | Well, if you must know, Princeton… deferred me. | 如果你非要知道 那我就告诉你吧 我被普林斯顿大学延迟录取了 |
[10:34] | That’s not so bad. At least you weren’t rejected. | 那也没多糟糕啊 |
[10:36] | Hmm. Right. | 至少你没被拒绝 也对 |
[10:38] | Anyway, I need to see what I can add to my résumé | 总之 我得看看 我能在我的简历里加点什么 |
[10:40] | to make myself seem more desirable to them. | 让他们能更欣赏我 |
[10:42] | And you think doing grunt work for boys’ swim | 你认为给男子游泳队打杂会有用吗? |
[10:44] | is gonna make the difference? | 也许会吧 |
[10:46] | [sighs] Maybe. I don’t know. I’ll try anything. | 我不知道 |
[10:49] | [chuckles] | 我什么招都得试试了 |
[10:50] | I know this is the wrong thing to say right now, | 我知道我现在不该说这样的话 |
[10:53] | but it does make me feel a little better | 但看到像你这样的人也有升学的难题 |
[10:55] | that someone like you also has college struggles. | 我确实好受了一点 |
[10:57] | Well, great. I am glad my suffering is bringing you such joy. | 很好 |
[11:01] | [chuckles softly] | 我很高兴 我的痛苦给你带来了快乐 |
[11:03] | Oh. Uh, hello, Coach. | 你好 教练 |
[11:05] | I’m here about the swim team equipment manager job. | 我是来应聘 游泳队设备管理员的工作的 |
[11:08] | As you can see here, I type 100 words per minute. | 如你所见 我每分钟能打100个单词 |
[11:10] | I’m proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel. And my strengths have been… | 我能熟练使用Word和Excel 我的强项是… |
[11:13] | Yeah, fine. You can have the job. You look pretty sturdy. | 行 好 你可以得到这份工作 你看上去挺结实的 |
[11:17] | Now, the season doesn’t start until after winter break, | 好了 赛季要等寒假结束后才开始 |
[11:19] | but since you’re here, get the new Speedos out of my trunk. | 不过既然你来了 你就去 把我车子后备箱里的新泳裤拿出来吧 |
[11:23] | The old ones had thinned, and we had too many pop-outs. Ugh. | 旧的那些已经很薄了 |
[11:33] | [Devi sighs] [party music playing] | 经常有小伙子的鸡鸡从泳裤里跑出来 |
[11:39] | [sighs] [indistinct chatter] [McEnroe] Ugh! There it was, the early-decision barbecue. | 那就是庆祝提前录取的烧烤派对 |
[11:47] | Look at them all celebrating under that braggy marquee. | 你看他们都在那张扬的字幕板下庆祝 |
[11:51] | Devi should be over there. | 德维原本应该在那边的 |
[11:52] | Instead, she was retrieving men’s underwear | 可结果她却正在 |
[11:55] | from a ten-year-old Kia. | 从一辆十年车龄的起亚汽车里 取男式泳裤 |
[11:57] | Wait, the Princeton snake | 等等 被普林斯顿录取的 那个狡猾如蛇的家伙 |
[11:59] | is probably slithering around in that crowd. | 很有可能正在那群人中游荡 |
[12:02] | Maybe it’s time for a little pest control. | 也许是时候来除一下蛇害了 |
[12:05] | Okay, there’s Washington State. | 那是进了华盛顿州立大学的人 |
[12:08] | There were the Duke kids. | 那边那几个是被杜克大学录取的 |
[12:09] | And Columbia. | 还有哥大的 |
[12:11] | Devi didn’t see a single stray. | 德维没看见任何不该出现的人 |
[12:13] | Not one random… | 没有任何奇怪的… |
[12:20] | Fab? | 法比? |
[12:22] | Why are you at the early-admits barbecue? | 你为什么会来参加 庆祝提前录取的烧烤派对? |
[12:24] | Oh, I was just hungry. [chuckles] | 噢 我只是饿了而已 |
[12:28] | Be honest. Did you actually apply to Yale? | 你跟我说实话 你真的申请了耶鲁吗? |
[12:31] | Devi, I… | 德维 |
[12:32] | [students cheering] | 我… |
[12:34] | [student 1] Fabiola! | 法比奥拉! |
[12:35] | [student 2] Fabiola! | (恭喜法比奥拉·托雷斯 |
[12:36] | [student cheering and applauding] | 被普林斯顿大学录取) |
[12:38] | [student 3] Fabiola! | 法比奥拉! |
[12:40] | Devi, I am so sorry. Let me explain. | 德维 对不起 你听我解释 |
[12:42] | [Devi] Don’t bother. | 不必了 |
[12:44] | [sighs] | |
[12:45] | [indistinct chatter] | |
[12:46] | [soft music playing] | |
[12:50] | Hey. Is this your painting? Wow, that is awesome. | 嘿 这是你的画吗?哇 好棒啊 |
[12:54] | Thanks. Oh God, that’s Kade Andrews. He’s the gallery owner. Act natural. | 谢谢 噢 天啊 |
[12:58] | [indistinct chatter] | 是卡德·安德鲁斯 他就是那个画廊老板 表现得自然点 |
[13:00] | He had a Samantha Rosenwald before her solo show at Stanley’s. | 萨曼莎·罗森瓦德在斯坦利艺术空间 |
[13:03] | [Margot inhales deeply] | 办个人展前 他就收藏过她的画 |
[13:04] | -Do you know what that means? -No. | -你知道那意味着什么吗? -不知道 |
[13:06] | Hi there. Is this your piece? | -你好 |
[13:08] | Yeah. | 这是你的画吗? |
[13:10] | Do you… Do you… Do you hate it? | -对 你不喜欢吗? |
[13:11] | No, I love it, actually. Your perspective is super fresh. | 不 我挺喜欢的 你的视角非常新颖 |
[13:14] | -You’re very talented. -[Ben] Isn’t she? | 你很有才华 你说对吧? |
[13:16] | You know, I’m always telling her to turn her art into NFTs | 我总是叫她把她的作品转成NFT |
[13:19] | so she can make some bank. [laughs] | 那样她就能赚点钱了 |
[13:24] | Hey, why don’t I get us some drinks while you guys talk art and stuff? | 嘿 |
[13:31] | [sighs] | 我去拿些喝的好了 留你们俩在这儿聊艺术的事 |
[13:34] | [phone vibrating] | (玛歌 来电) |
[13:38] | Hey, do you have a drink request? | 嘿 你有什么想喝的吗? |
[13:40] | [Kade] Yeah, the sun, and how it radiates out here. Absolutely inspired. | 没错 太阳在这儿散发光芒 这样子真的非常棒 |
[13:44] | [Margot] Thanks. I… I thought so too. | 多谢夸奖 我也这么想 |
[13:46] | -It kinda has a burnt orange color to it. -Butt dial. [chuckles] | -这给它增添了一点燃橙色 -误拨电话 |
[13:48] | [Kade] So is that, uh, small, anxious dude your boyfriend? | 话说 那个紧张兮兮的小个子 是你的男朋友吗? |
[13:52] | Uh, yeah. I mean, I don’t know. It’s not that serious, so… | 对 我不知道怎么说 不是很认真的那种 所以… |
[13:57] | Yeah, yeah, he seems a bit buttoned up to be dating someone like you. | 是啊 他似乎有点拘谨 和像你这样的人不太配 |
[14:00] | -Kind of an Urkel vibe. -[laughs] Totally. | -有点太书呆子气了 -没错 |
[14:04] | [Kade] Yeah. | -是啊 |
[14:05] | [McEnroe] Well, that’s a pretty brutal thing to overhear. | -不小心听到这样的话太令人伤心了 |
[14:07] | And across town, Devi was equally shell-shocked. | 而在城镇的另一头 德维也同样处于极度震惊之中 |
[14:11] | -How could her best friend do this to her? -[door slams] | 她最好的朋友怎么能这样对她? |
[14:14] | How could Princeton do this to her? | 普林斯顿大学怎么能这样对她? |
[14:16] | Devi, what did I say about slamming doors? | 德维 我不是说过不准摔门吗? |
[14:18] | It’s for white children. | 那是白人孩子做的事 |
[14:19] | Okay, Mom, I just found out that Fabiola applied to Princeton behind my back | 好 妈妈 我刚刚得知 法比奥拉背着我申请了普林斯顿大学 |
[14:23] | and got in. | 而且还被录取了 |
[14:24] | Oh, kanna, I am so sorry. | 噢 宝贝 我真替你难过 |
[14:27] | But this is really what I was trying to tell you. | 可这正是我之前想跟你说的 |
[14:29] | -Sometimes things don’t go our way. -Mom, come on. | 有时候事情并不会如我们所愿 妈妈 |
[14:32] | I really don’t wanna listen to anything rational right now. | 拜托 我现在不想听任何理性的话 |
[14:38] | Sorry, Len, I don’t think Devi’s gonna join us for dinner. | 对不起 |
[14:40] | Oh. I was making somethin’ special. | 伦恩 |
[14:44] | [door slams] | 看来德维不会跟我们一起吃晚餐了 我在做一些特别的菜呢 |
[14:45] | Does no one here know how to use a door? | 这个家就没人会好好关门吗? |
[14:47] | Auntie, Pati, I need to speak to you two in private. | 阿姨 奶奶 我要跟你们俩私下谈谈 |
[14:50] | Hello, Len. | 你好 |
[14:51] | [tense music playing] | 伦恩 |
[14:59] | Okay, I hate to be the one to tell you this, Pati, | 好 我也不想 由我来告诉你这事的 奶奶 |
[15:02] | but I think that Len is not the man that you think he is. | 但我觉得伦恩不是你以为的那种人 |
[15:06] | Today, I saw him with a woman | 今天我看见他跟个女人在一起 |
[15:08] | who was wearing what I can only describe as business lingerie. | 那个女人穿的衣服 我只能用职业内衣来形容 |
[15:11] | Well, he has a lot of female friends. | 他有很多女性朋友 |
[15:14] | He’s a regular at several Zumba classes. | 他经常去上尊巴舞课 |
[15:16] | No, they were not just friends. | 不 |
[15:18] | [inhales deeply] | 他们不是普通朋友 |
[15:19] | I think that he brought her to this house before. | 我觉得他之前带她来过我们家 |
[15:21] | I’m not worried about Len running around on me. | 我不担心伦恩会出轨 |
[15:24] | I keep my man very satisfied. | 我一直有满足我男人的需求 |
[15:26] | Too much, Mami, just… It’s too much. | 太过了 妈咪 实在…那太过了 |
[15:28] | I also think that they’re involved in some kind of, like, money-making scheme. | 我还觉得他们在搞某种赚钱的阴谋 |
[15:31] | [chuckles] Len doesn’t need money-making schemes. I’m rich. | 伦恩不需要搞什么赚钱的阴谋 我很有钱 |
[15:36] | -What do you mean you’re rich? -Oh. | 你什么意思? |
[15:38] | When my husband died, Mohan convinced me to invest, | 我老公死了以后 莫汉说服了我去投资 |
[15:41] | so I put all my money into Apple | 所以我把我所有的钱 都拿去买了苹果的股票 |
[15:43] | because it’s such a cute name. | 因为那名字实在太可爱了 |
[15:45] | At that time, the shares were only a quarter. | 那时候的股价才25美分 |
[15:48] | Oh my God. | 噢 我的天啊 |
[15:49] | And yet you never once offered to pitch in for groceries. | 然而你却从未提出过 要分担一点伙食费 |
[15:52] | That’s how the rich stay rich, baby. | 富人就是这样保持富有的 宝贝 |
[15:54] | -[Kamala sighs] -Ladies, dinner is ready. | 女士们 晚餐准备好了 |
[15:58] | But let’s hold up a second. | 但我们先等一下 |
[16:00] | I wanna say something to Nirmala. | 我有些话想跟尼玛拉说 |
[16:03] | Nirmy, these past few months | 小尼玛 过去的这几个月 |
[16:05] | have been the most amazing of my entire life, | 是我人生中最美好的时光 |
[16:09] | so I want the rest of my months on Earth | 所以 我希望我的余生 |
[16:14] | to be as happy as they are now. | 都能像现在这样开心 |
[16:17] | So, what I’m saying is… | 所以 |
[16:20] | -[Nalini gasps] -Nirmy… | 我想说的是 |
[16:22] | [romantic music playing] | 小尼玛… |
[16:24] | …will you marry me? | 你愿意嫁给我吗? |
[16:26] | Oh, Len. Yes, I will. | 噢 伦恩 是的 我愿意 |
[16:29] | [Len] You will? Oh! | 你愿意? |
[16:31] | [McEnroe] Uh-oh, Kamala, it looks like Len does have a money-making plan, | 哎呀 卡玛拉 看来伦恩确实是有一个赚钱的计划 |
[16:36] | and it is your grandmother. | 而这个计划的目标就是你奶奶 |
[16:38] | [“Fruit Sandwich” by Aaron Joseph Russo playing] | |
[16:45] | [sighs] | |
[16:48] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了? |
[16:49] | [sighs] I thought making out would cheer you up, | 我原以为亲热会让你高兴起来 |
[16:52] | but it’s honestly kind of bumming me out to kiss someone so sad. | 但老实说 亲一个这么难过的人让我挺沮丧的 |
[16:56] | [sighs] Sorry. I just feel really bad about Devi. | 对不起 我只是为德维的事感到很愧疚 |
[17:00] | Fab, come on. | 法比 拜托 |
[17:01] | You did something extraordinary. Devi should be happy for you. | 你取得了了不起的成就 德维应该为你感到高兴的 |
[17:04] | And if she can’t be, then whatever. You’ll make new friends in college. | 如果她做不到 那就随她吧 你在大学里会交到新朋友的 |
[17:07] | I don’t want new friends. | 我不想交新朋友 |
[17:08] | You say that now, but you will. | 你现在是这么说 但你会的 |
[17:10] | I never talk to my high school friends anymore, | 我再也没跟我高中的朋友说过话了 |
[17:12] | mostly ’cause a lot of them got really into EDM. | 主要因为他们很多都迷上了电子舞曲 |
[17:14] | Addison, I don’t wanna not talk to my high-school friends. | 艾迪森 我不想 和我高中的朋友断了联系 |
[17:16] | I want Devi in my life forever. | 我希望德维一辈子都是我的朋友 |
[17:18] | Okay, okay, sorry. | 好吧 对不起 |
[17:20] | Listen, if your friendship is as strong as you say it is, | 听着 如果你们的友谊 真的像你说的那样牢固 |
[17:23] | then Devi will get past this. You just have to talk to her. | 那德维会从这件事里走出来的 |
[17:26] | [sighs] You think so? | 你只要跟她谈谈就好了 -你真的那么认为? |
[17:28] | Yeah. It’s gonna be okay. | -是的 会没事的 |
[17:30] | Now, how about we really cheer you up and watch some sexy cyborgs on Westworld? | 好了 我们来看 |
[17:36] | [both chuckle] | 一些《西部世界》里的性感半机器人 让你真正高兴起来如何? |
[17:37] | [school bell ringing] | (舍曼奥克斯高中) |
[17:39] | -[indistinct chatter] -[exhales] | |
[17:42] | -Hi. -Seriously, where’s your bag? | -嗨 -说真的 你的包在哪儿? |
[17:44] | It’s somewhere in my locker. | 在我储物柜里的某处放着 |
[17:46] | Ugh. Hey, can we please talk? | 我们能谈谈吗? |
[17:49] | Oh, are there other dreams of mine that you wanna steal? | 你还想抢走我的其他什么梦想吗? |
[17:52] | [mumbles] | |
[17:53] | Uh, Devi, stop. Hear her out. I really need for you to be friends again. | 德维 别走 听她说完吧 我真的很需要你们俩做回朋友 |
[17:57] | How can I be friends with someone I don’t even recognize? | 我怎么能 跟一个我都不认识了的人做朋友? |
[17:59] | -Since when do you wanna go to Princeton? -I wanted to tell you, but how could I? | -你啥时候开始想去普林斯顿了的? -我之前想跟你说的 但我要怎么说? |
[18:04] | I don’t know, maybe with words? | 我不知道 也许你可以用嘴说? |
[18:06] | [scoffs] I can’t believe you’d lie about something so important to me. | 我不敢相信 你会在对我这么重要的事上说谎 |
[18:09] | I know. I am so, so sorry. | 我知道 我真的很抱歉 |
[18:11] | You know what? Being deferred was already a stab in the heart. | 你知道吗?对我来说 被延迟录取已经像是心口被扎了一刀 |
[18:15] | I didn’t also need to be stabbed in the back. | 我不想再被人在背后捅一刀 |
[18:17] | [somber music playing] | |
[18:23] | Sitch still a little tender, huh? | 情况还是有点棘手 对吧? |
[18:26] | I actually came to talk to Eleanor. | 其实我是来找埃莉诺的 |
[18:28] | So contrary to the email, | 邮件里说的不对 |
[18:29] | we’re gonna need you here at 6:00 on Friday, not 7:00. [chuckles] | 你周五得六点到这儿来 不是七点 |
[18:32] | -That’s when everyone’s lining up for… -Sh! | 那时所有人都会排队… |
[18:36] | [inhales] Okay, this little friend group | 好吧 你们这几个朋友 |
[18:38] | needs to do a much better job of communicating. | 得加强一下沟通才行 |
[18:42] | What was she talking about? | 她在说什么? |
[18:50] | Hey, guess what. | 嘿 你猜怎么着? |
[18:51] | Kade’s putting my painting in his gallery. Isn’t that amazing? | 卡德要把我的画收进他的画廊 这是不是很棒? |
[18:54] | -Yeah, it’s really great. -I know. | -是 棒极了 -我知道 |
[18:57] | So what happened to you last night? You just disappeared. | 话说你昨晚怎么了? 你不声不响就消失了 |
[19:01] | Did you accidentally eat dairy again? | 你又不小心吃了乳制品吗? |
[19:02] | No, and I can have dairy as long as I have my pills. | 不是 而且我只要带着药 我就可以吃乳制品 |
[19:05] | No, I left last night because you butt-dialed me, | 不 我离开是因为你误拨了电话给我 |
[19:07] | and I didn’t wanna ruin the night with my “Urkel energy.” | 我不想让我的“书呆子气” 扫了你昨晚的兴 |
[19:10] | Oh God. Ben, I… I’m so sorry. | 噢 天啊 本 对不起 |
[19:13] | It’s pretty rough to hear your girlfriend of six months | 听见你谈了六个月的女朋友说 |
[19:16] | say that your relationship isn’t very serious. | 你们的恋情不是认真的让人很难受 |
[19:18] | Almost as rough as sitting through a magic show for one. | 几乎就跟坐着看完 给一个人表演的魔术秀一样难受 |
[19:21] | I’m so stupid. I… I was just trying to impress that guy. | 我太愚蠢了 我只是想给那个人留下好的印象 |
[19:25] | Of course I think our relationship is serious. | 我当然认为 我们的恋情是认真的 |
[19:27] | It’s just… the art world is super judgy, and… | 只是 艺术界是很挑剔的 而且… |
[19:30] | -And you’re embarrassed of me. -No, I… I’m not embarrassed of you. | -而且你觉得我很丢你的脸 -不 |
[19:33] | [inhales deeply] We’re just different. You’re a little more tightly wound. | 我没觉得你丢我的脸 我们只是不太一样 你弦绷得比较紧 |
[19:38] | I mean, I’ve never met a teen boy who starches his shirts. | 我以前从未见过 一个十几岁的男生会给衬衫上浆的 |
[19:41] | What’s the point of having a collar if it’s not crisp? [sighs] | 领子如果不挺括那要来有什么用? |
[19:44] | You know, yesterday was supposed to be one of the best days of my life. | 昨天本该是 我一生中最美好的日子之一 |
[19:47] | I got this thing that I’d worked for years for, | 我取得了我为之奋斗了多年的成就 |
[19:49] | and I went from feeling like a winner to such a loser in seconds. | 我原本感觉自己是人生赢家 可就几秒钟的时间 我就感觉我成了废柴 |
[19:53] | Margot, I can’t be with someone who thinks I’m a loser. | 玛歌 我不能 跟一个觉得我是废柴的人在一起 |
[19:55] | I don’t think you’re a loser. | 我没觉得你是废柴 |
[19:56] | I… I’m trying to tell you that I love how dorky you are. | 我想要告诉你 |
[19:59] | [scoffs] Yeah, that sucks. | 我很喜欢你傻乎乎的样子 你这话烂透了 |
[20:02] | I think we’re done. | 看来我们结束了 |
[20:03] | And, uh, for what it’s worth, Kade is the loser. | 再跟你说一句 听不听随你 卡德才是个废柴 |
[20:05] | His ’80s vintage leather jacket? | 他穿的那件80年代的复古皮夹克 |
[20:07] | It’s from Club Monaco. My mom has the same one. | 就是件低档货 |
[20:10] | -[somber music playing] -Ben… | 我妈妈有件一模一样的 |
[20:14] | [mumbling] | 本… |
[20:19] | [muttering] Stupid. | 讨厌死了 |
[20:22] | Okay. Hey. | 好了 嘿 |
[20:24] | You still mad about Princeton? | 还在为普林斯顿的事生气吗? |
[20:26] | [sighs] Yeah. | 对 |
[20:28] | And at my best friend who stole my spot. | 也在为我最好的朋友 抢了我的位置这件事生气 |
[20:31] | Fabiola got in. | 法比奥拉被录取了 |
[20:32] | Oh, well, that’s awesome for her. | 噢 这对她来说太棒了 |
[20:34] | No, Paxton, it’s not awesome. One of my friendships has now been ruined. | 不 帕克斯顿 |
[20:38] | Okay, I think we’re being a little dramatic here. | 这一点也不棒 我的一段友谊现在被毁了 我感觉你有点太夸张了 |
[20:41] | -This shouldn’t ruin your friendship. -What are you talking about? | -这不应该毁掉你们的友谊 -你在说什么呢? |
[20:44] | What if Trent applied to ASU? | 要是特伦特申请了ASU呢? |
[20:45] | I’d be freaking psyched. | 那我会他妈兴奋死的 |
[20:47] | Hell, if Trent went to ASU, I’d probably still be there. | 天啊 如果特伦特去了ASU 我说不定还会留在那里呢 |
[20:50] | Uh… But what if he kept it from you that he applied? | 可要是他不告诉你他申请了呢? |
[20:52] | I’d assume he had a good reason. | 那我会想他一定有充分的理由 |
[20:54] | Or that he concussed himself on his Onewheel again. | 或者他又踩单轮电动滑板 |
[20:57] | Hmm. | 摔到脑震荡了 |
[20:58] | But look, you know why Fabiola couldn’t tell you. | 可是 听着 |
[21:01] | -[Devi scoffs] -Because you flip out. | 你明白 为什么法比奥拉没办法告诉你 因为你会气疯的 |
[21:03] | I deserve to flip out. This was my dream. | 我气疯是应该的 |
[21:06] | [sighs] | 这可是我的梦想啊 |
[21:07] | Ugh. You don’t get it. | 你不懂的了 |
[21:10] | Oh, I get it. | 噢 我懂 |
[21:12] | If you remember, I had some pretty solid dreams for college, | 不知你还记不记得 我曾经对大学怀揣过坚定的梦想 |
[21:15] | but then someone made me get hit by a car. | 可后来某人害我被车撞了 |
[21:18] | But, hey, I forgave you, didn’t I? I mean, I more than forgave you. | 可我原谅了你 不是吗? 我远不止原谅了你那么简单 |
[21:22] | We did, like, a lot of making out after that. | 在那之后 |
[21:24] | [chuckles] | 我们还亲热了很多回 |
[21:26] | Hey, you gotta let it go, all right? | 嘿 你得放下这件事 好吗? |
[21:29] | This is not worth losing a good friend over. | 为这事失去一个好朋友不值得 |
[21:32] | Yeah, I guess so. | 好吧 我想也是 |
[21:35] | Hey, you’re kind of wise now that you’re on staff. | 嘿 |
[21:38] | [inhales deeply] | 你现在成了教职工后变聪明了 |
[21:39] | Too bad that they make you wear this sad-sack uniform though. | 不过可惜他们要你穿着这糟糕的制服 |
[21:41] | Mm-hmm. | |
[21:42] | You know I still look good. | 你知道我还是很好看的 |
[21:49] | [school bell ringing] | |
[21:51] | [indistinct chatter] | |
[21:56] | [Mr. Shapiro] Okay, scholars, | 好了 同学们 |
[21:58] | it is time to present your final projects of the semester. | 是时候来展示 你们这学期的期末论文了 |
[22:03] | Now, in an effort to right the wrongs of our history, | 那么 为了纠正我们历史上的错误 |
[22:07] | let’s let a strong woman of color speak first. | 我们请一位坚强的 有色人种女性先发言 |
[22:12] | Fabiola? | 法比奥拉? |
[22:14] | Oh. Okay. Um… | 好 |
[22:24] | My topic is about American isolationism in the 1930s. | 我论文的主题是 |
[22:28] | [Mr. Shapiro] Mmm. | 上世纪30年代美国的孤立主义 |
[22:31] | “Following the devastation of World War I and the Great Depression, | “在经历了一战和大萧条的破坏后 |
[22:35] | America chose to close itself off from other countries.” | 美国选择了与其他国家隔绝 |
[22:38] | “But here’s the thing about isolationism, | 可孤立主义的问题在于 |
[22:42] | is everyone needs friends.” | 所有人都是需要朋友的” |
[22:45] | And America, she deeply needs her best allies. | 而美国非常需要她最好的盟友 |
[22:49] | She depends on them for protection, for stability, | 她需要依靠她们 来得到保护和维持稳定 |
[22:54] | for fun sleepovers. | 还有办有趣的留宿聚会 |
[22:59] | Anyway… | 总之… |
[23:03] | she’s just really sorry that she let her best ally down | 她很愧疚自己在二战初期 |
[23:06] | at the beginning of World War II. | 让她最好的盟友失望了 |
[23:10] | [Mr. Shapiro] That was beautiful. | 写得太好了 |
[23:12] | And it is always nice to be reminded of America’s pronouns. | 而且她提醒了我们指代美国的代词 |
[23:19] | [sighs] | 要用女字旁的她 这点非常好 |
[23:20] | Hey, Fab, are you okay? | 嘿 法比 你还好吧? |
[23:21] | No, don’t comfort me. I’m a bad friend. | 不 别安慰我 我是个坏朋友 |
[23:24] | No, you’re not. | 不 你不是 |
[23:25] | I’m the problem here. | 问题出在我身上 |
[23:26] | I don’t own Princeton. You’re obviously allowed to apply there. | 普林斯顿大学又不是我的 你显然是可以申请那里的 |
[23:30] | Even so, I shouldn’t have lied to you. | 尽管是那样 |
[23:32] | [sighs] | 可我不该对你说谎的 |
[23:33] | But I get why you did. | 但我明白你为什么说谎 |
[23:35] | I am so sorry that I made you feel like you couldn’t talk to me. | 很抱歉我让你觉得你有话不能和我说 |
[23:40] | -I never want that to be true again. -Me either. | -我不想再发生那样的事了 -我也是 |
[23:43] | And hey, you got into Princeton, Fab. | 另外 嘿 法比 你被普林斯顿大学录取了呢 |
[23:46] | That is sick. Do you think you’re gonna go? | 这太棒了 你会去吗? |
[23:49] | Would you kill me if I said I wasn’t sure? | 如果我说我不确定 |
[23:51] | [sighs] Of course not. | 你会打死我吗? 当然不会了 |
[23:53] | Because if you don’t go, that opens up a spot for this bitch. | 因为如果你不去 |
[23:56] | [chuckles] [inhales deeply] | 那么那个位置就空出来给我了 |
[23:58] | Yeah, I think I’m still gonna apply to other schools. | 对 我想我还是会申请其他学校 |
[24:01] | Like, this may sound weird, but when we visited Princeton, | 我这么说听起来可能很怪 但当我们去参观普林斯顿大学时 |
[24:04] | I just didn’t feel a spark. | 我对它没感觉 |
[24:05] | I mean, it has an incredible robotics program, | 我的意思是 它是有很棒的机器人技术专业 |
[24:08] | and it’s perfect on paper, but like… | 纸面上的数据也很完美 可就是… |
[24:09] | You know you don’t have to marry your college, right? | 你应该知道你不必嫁给你的大学吧? |
[24:12] | [sighs] | |
[24:13] | But I get what you’re saying. I do feel a spark about Princeton. | 但我懂你的意思 我就对普林斯顿大学有感觉 |
[24:18] | Yeah, I… I probably will too when I go there. | 对 等我去了我或许也会有 |
[24:20] | -I’m being dumb, forget it. -[chuckles softly] | 我犯糊涂了 忘了我说的话吧 |
[24:22] | Oh. And when you get in, maybe we could be roomies. | 等你被录取了 也许我们会成为室友 |
[24:25] | Oh my God, yeah. That’d be dope. | 噢 |
[24:27] | [chuckles] | 天啊 |
[24:29] | [sighs] | 没错 那样的话就太好了 |
[24:31] | Are you guys okay? | 你们俩没事吧? |
[24:32] | -You’re friends again? -Yeah, we’re good. | -你们做回朋友了吗? |
[24:35] | [sighs] | -是的 我们和好了 |
[24:37] | El, you’ve been acting really weird. What’s going on? | 小埃 你最近很反常 到底怎么了? |
[24:40] | Okay, so the thing is, | 好吧 事情是这样 |
[24:42] | I am graduating in two days. | 我两天后就要毕业了 |
[24:46] | -What? -Yeah. | -什么? -是的 |
[24:48] | So it’ll just be the two of you for the spring. | 所以明年春季就只有你们俩了 |
[24:50] | [uplifting music playing] | |
[24:52] | Surprise. | 惊喜吧? |
[24:53] | Why are you graduating early? | 你为什么要提前毕业? |
[24:55] | I really heard you guys when we were at Princeton. | 我们在普林斯顿大学时 你们对我说的话我听进去了 |
[24:58] | I have to be an actor. | 我一定要成为一名演员 |
[25:00] | And since Juilliard made it clear that I’m not going to a conservatory, | 而既然茱莉亚学院的人 明确说了我不适合进表演学院 |
[25:05] | I wanna start my professional career now. | 那我想现在就开始我的职业生涯 |
[25:08] | So you’re just done with school? | 所以你不读书了? |
[25:10] | Yeah. You’re looking at a working woman. | 对 站在你们面前的是一位职业女性 |
[25:13] | Well, I have to book a job first, but you’re looking at a pre-working woman. | 虽说我得先接到活 |
[25:17] | [uplifting music playing] | 但站在你们面前的是一位准职业女性 |
[25:20] | Okay then. Congratulations. | 那好吧 恭喜你 |
[25:23] | Wow, you’re graduating. | 哇 你要毕业了 |
[25:24] | Yeah! [laughs] | 是啊! |
[25:25] | [Devi] So Fabiola got into Princeton, and Eleanor’s graduating early, | 所以 法比奥拉被普林斯顿录取了 然后埃莉诺要提前毕业了 |
[25:29] | and I did eventually untangle all of those lane buoys. | 而我也最终把那些泳道浮标全解开了 |
[25:32] | So… [clicks tongue] …all in all, things are decent. | 所以 总的来说 一切都还不错 |
[25:36] | Are they? | 真的吗? |
[25:39] | Mmm. | |
[25:40] | Devi? | 德维? |
[25:42] | [clicks tongue, inhales] | |
[25:43] | I just can’t shake off how bummed I am that Princeton deferred me. | 我始终还是为普林斯顿大学 延迟录取我的事感到沮丧 |
[25:47] | I hear you, but remember, getting deferred isn’t such a bad thing… | 我明白 但记住 被延迟录取并不是多糟糕的事… |
[25:51] | Why do people keep saying that to me? | 为什么大家总是这样跟我说? |
[25:54] | Getting deferred is a bad thing. | 被延迟录取就是一件糟糕的事 |
[25:55] | It means they’re not sure about me. They’re not sure I’m good enough. | 这说明他们对我不确定 他们不确定我是否足够优秀 |
[25:58] | But do you think you’re good enough? | 可你自己认为你足够优秀吗? |
[26:00] | Honestly, I don’t know anymore. | 老实说 我已经不知道了 |
[26:03] | I mean, right now I feel pretty mediocre. | 我的意思是 现在我感觉自己很平庸 |
[26:06] | My own mother assumed I was gonna get rejected. | 我自己的妈妈之前还认为我会被拒绝 |
[26:08] | -Stop. You know I don’t believe that. -[sighs] | 别说那样的话 你知道那不是真的 |
[26:11] | Devi, if this Princeton dream has so much power over your self-worth, | 德维 如果这个普林斯顿大学梦 对你的自我价值感有这么大的影响 |
[26:17] | have you ever considered that maybe it’s not serving you? | 你有没有想过 |
[26:20] | [sentimental music playing] | 或许它并不适合你? |
[26:24] | Wow, Devi, first grade. Pretty soon you’ll be going to college. | 哇 德维 你上一年级咯 很快你就要读大学了 |
[26:27] | -Have you thought about where you’d go? -Princess College. | -你有想过要读什么大学吗? |
[26:31] | Hmm. Don’t know if there’s a Princess College. | -公主大学 我不知道有没有公主大学 |
[26:34] | But there’s a Princeton College. | 不过倒是有一所普林斯顿大学 |
[26:36] | ‘Kay, I’ll go there. | 好 那我要读那所 |
[26:37] | Number one school in the country. | 那可是全美国第一的大学 |
[26:39] | -Aiming high, Devi. I’m impressed. -[giggles] | 志向很远大呢 德维 真了不起 |
[26:41] | I’m glad we came up with this plan before the bus came. | 很高兴我们在校车来之前 |
[26:44] | [both chuckle] [sighs] | 想出了这个计划 |
[26:48] | Well, I don’t think I’m ready to give up on that dream quite yet. | 那个 我觉得 我还没准备好放弃那个梦想 |
[26:55] | Kamala. | 卡玛拉 |
[26:56] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[26:57] | I could’ve sworn you heard me yell to you in the lab before you rushed off. | 在你跑出来之前 你肯定听到了我在喊你 |
[27:00] | Nope. Definitely not avoiding you or anything. | 没有 我绝对没有躲着你什么的 |
[27:03] | What’s up? Any fun weekend plans? | 有事吗?周末有什么有趣的安排吗? 没错 |
[27:05] | Uh, yes, I’m packing up my house to move across the country. | 我要收拾房子 准备搬到美国的另一头去 |
[27:10] | Have you given any more thought to my offer? | 你考虑过我的那个工作邀请了吗? |
[27:13] | I have. [sighs] | 我考虑过了 |
[27:15] | It’s an incredible opportunity, | 那是个很棒的机会 |
[27:18] | but I just don’t think that I could move to Baltimore. | 可我想我没办法搬去巴尔的摩 |
[27:21] | My family needs me too much here. | 我的家人非常需要我留在这里 |
[27:22] | Oh. I’m sorry to hear that. | 很遗憾听到你这样说 |
[27:26] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗? |
[27:28] | Okay, well, | 那好吧 |
[27:31] | if you change your mind, please reach out. [somber music playing] | 如果你改变主意了 |
[27:40] | [crickets chirping] [knocking on door] | 请联系我 |
[27:46] | Can we talk? | 我们能谈谈吗? |
[27:48] | I made your favorite, chip salad. | 我做了你最爱的薯片沙拉 |
[27:50] | Four different types of chips. | 有四种不同的薯片 |
[27:53] | -Are those white cheddar puffs? -Yes, they are. | -那些是白切达奶酪泡芙吗? |
[27:56] | Hmm. | -对 没错 |
[28:00] | Please come in. | 请进 |
[28:02] | [sighs] Listen, I’m sorry I’ve seemed so negative, | 听着 |
[28:04] | or like I don’t believe in you. | 很抱歉我之前表现得那么消极 或者看着像对你没信心 |
[28:07] | That couldn’t be farther from the truth. | 事实远不是那样的 |
[28:10] | Devi, I’ve just lived longer than you have, | 德维 我只是比你多活了一些年 |
[28:12] | and I know that sometimes, you can work incredibly hard for something | 我知道有些时候 虽然你为某些事付出了巨大的努力 |
[28:16] | and things just don’t go your way, you know? | 可是事情就是不如你所愿 你懂吗? |
[28:20] | I was the top resident in my program in India, | 在印度的时候 我是我们科顶尖的住院医生 |
[28:23] | but when I got here, no one cared. | 可我来了这里以后 没人在乎那个 |
[28:25] | I had to start the whole process over again. | 我不得不一切从头来过 |
[28:27] | That blows. | 那太糟糕了 |
[28:28] | It did blow. I was devastated. | 是很糟糕 我非常失落 |
[28:30] | I ate a whole KFC family meal… | 我吃了一整个肯德基全家桶 |
[28:32] | -Uh… -…and I’m vegetarian. | 而我是素食主义者 |
[28:34] | Damn, Mom, that’s dark. | 我去 妈妈 |
[28:36] | [laughs] I know. | 那太悲惨了 是啊 |
[28:38] | Listen, I wasn’t trying to jinx you. | 听着 我那时不是想给你带来霉运 |
[28:41] | I was just trying to, I guess, protect you from that kind of disappointment. | 我只是想保护你 让你不至于过于失望 |
[28:45] | But I absolutely 100% believe in you, | 但我对你绝对有百分百的信心 |
[28:48] | and I think Princeton is really, really stupid | 而且我认为普林斯顿大学的人非常蠢 |
[28:50] | for not snatching you up first opportunity they got. | 他们没抓住机会把你抢了去 |
[28:54] | Thanks, Mom. | 谢谢你 妈妈 |
[28:55] | All I wanted to hear was that Princeton’s stupid. | 我就想听别人说 普林斯顿大学的人很蠢 |
[28:58] | -It’s very stupid. -[Devi chuckles] | 蠢死了 |
[29:02] | [sighs] And you know what? | 而且你知道吗? |
[29:05] | Even when things don’t work out, they usually do work out. | 即使当事情不顺利时 往往最后还是会有好的结果的 |
[29:09] | As long as you don’t give up. | 只要你不放弃 |
[29:12] | [inhales deeply] | |
[29:14] | Hmm. | |
[29:24] | Hey. Heard about Princeton. | 嘿 我听说了普林斯顿大学的事 |
[29:26] | [sighs] Yeah, it stoinks, | 是啊 糟透了 |
[29:29] | but I know, I know, deferral isn’t that bad. | 不过 我知道 被延迟录取也不算什么坏事 |
[29:31] | What? Yeah, it is. It’s horrible. Regular decision’s for gen pop. | 什么?那就是坏事 坏透了 常规录取是留给平庸之辈的 |
[29:34] | Exactly. Thank you for saying that. | 就是说啊 谢谢你这么说 |
[29:37] | And, holy shit, congratulations on Columbia. | 另外 天啊 恭喜你被哥大录取了 |
[29:40] | Did you and Margot celebrate? | -你和玛歌有做什么来庆祝吗? |
[29:42] | Yeah, uh, we broke up. | -有 |
[29:44] | Oh. I’m sorry. | 我们分手了 很抱歉 |
[29:46] | Yeah, I guess we both took an L this week. | 是啊 看来我们俩这周都遭遇了失败 |
[29:49] | Uh, well, all right, I’ll, uh, see you after winter break. | 好了 我们寒假后再见咯 |
[29:52] | And, uh, good luck with those applications. | 祝你能顺利申请到理想的大学 |
[29:55] | [McEnroe] Huh. So Ben is single now. | 所以本现在恢复单身了 |
[29:58] | Devi, did you catch that? | 德维 你听到了吗? |
[30:00] | Yeah, I think she heard. [“My Rose” by Emma Castellino playing] ♪ Tattooed on my skin ♪ ♪ Baby, you’re permanent ♪ ♪ I tried but I can’t erase you ♪ ♪ Maybe that’s for a reason ♪ ♪ This love I can’t explain ♪ ♪ But like my rose ♪ | 是的 |
[30:20] | ♪ Tattooed on my skin ♪ ♪ You will never go away ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ ♪ Yeah ♪ [song ends] | 我想她听到了 |