时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Being a detective is a job for a man Eliza. | 侦探是男人的工作 伊莱莎 |
[00:05] | And yet you do it everyday William. | 但你每天都在做 威廉 |
[00:07] | You appear rather ruffled Miss Scarlet, | 你似乎衣衫不整 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[00:09] | are you quite well? | 你还好吗 |
[00:11] | I’m no thief! I’m a private detective. | 我不是小偷 我是私家侦探 |
[00:13] | Yeah! | 是啊 |
[00:14] | – Father? – He’s had a cardiac arrest. | -父亲 -他心脏骤停了 |
[00:17] | I’m sorry to say he has passed. | 我很抱歉 他已经去世了 |
[00:18] | Word will soon spread that my father has died | 父亲去世的消息很快就会传开 |
[00:20] | and any day now all our accounts will be called in. | 我们所有的赊账都会被收回 |
[00:23] | This isn’t about ambition Ivy; This is about money. | 这与野心无关 艾薇 是为了生计 |
[00:26] | Now that your father has passed, | 既然你父亲去世了 |
[00:27] | I hope that I can be of service to you at this difficult time. | 我希望在这个艰难时刻 我能帮上你的忙 |
[01:54] | Who are you? | 你是谁 |
[01:57] | I… | 我 |
[01:58] | I’m… A friend of your father’s, | 我是你父亲的朋友 |
[02:01] | we’re playing hide and seek. | 我们在玩捉迷藏 |
[02:04] | But father is not here | 但父亲不在家 |
[02:07] | and you know this | 你也知道这点 |
[02:08] | since you saw him leave for work this very morning. | 因为今早你看见他出门去工作了 |
[02:11] | I saw you watching our house. | 我看到你在监视我家 |
[02:14] | Why are you here alone? | 你为什么一个人在家 |
[02:16] | I have a cold. | 我感冒了 |
[02:18] | My mother’s gone to buy me some honey. | 母亲去给我买蜂蜜了 |
[02:23] | She’s back. | 她回来了 |
[02:26] | Can I have some of your money? | 你能给我些钱吗 |
[02:29] | So I can buy myself a new dolly. | 这样我就能买一个新娃娃了 |
[02:31] | No. | 不行 |
[02:33] | Now I must go. | 我得走了 |
[02:36] | If you do not give me some of the money, | 如果你不给我钱 |
[02:38] | I shall scream, | 我就尖叫 |
[02:40] | mother will come and you’ll be sent straight to prison. | 母亲过来了 你就会被送进监狱 |
[02:49] | All of it. | 我要全部 |
[02:50] | Absolutely not. | 想也别想 |
[02:51] | Your father had hired me to do a job | 你父亲雇了我 |
[02:53] | and thinks he can get away with not paying me | 却觉得不用付我工资 |
[02:54] | because I’m a woman. | 因为我是个女人 |
[02:55] | It’s unfortunate but I’ve had no choice | 很不幸 但我别无选择 |
[02:57] | but to take the law into my own hands. | 只能自己主持公道 |
[02:59] | Give me the rest of the money or I will scream. | 给我剩下的钱 否则我就叫了 |
[04:10] | Miss Scarlet, | 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[04:11] | how delightful to see you | 真高兴见到你 |
[04:13] | and welcome to my new abode. | 欢迎来到我的新宅子 |
[04:16] | And what an abode it is, Mr. Parker. | 这座宅子真漂亮 帕克先生 |
[04:19] | Mm, please let me introduce you to my dear friend, | 让我介绍一下我的好朋友 |
[04:23] | Doctor Moorhouse. | 穆尔豪斯医生 |
[04:24] | When Rupert told me of your meeting, I insisted I had to come. | 鲁伯特告诉我和你的会面 我就坚持要来 |
[04:28] | I’ve been beside myself with excitement | 我一直都很激动 |
[04:30] | to finally meet his lady detective. | 终于能够见到他的女侦探 |
[04:34] | Well, I, um… | 好的 |
[04:36] | I had hoped to update you on our financial situation, Mr. Parker. | 我是想向你汇报我们的财务状况的 帕克先生 |
[04:40] | Right, take a seat. | 好 请坐 |
[04:46] | So… | 是这样 |
[04:47] | Miss Scarlet has insisted that we meet once a month | 斯嘉丽小姐要求我们每个月会面一次 |
[04:51] | so I may be appraised of how our detective agency is doing. | 以便让我了解侦探事务所的工作进展 |
[04:57] | Then she is exactly how you described, Rupert, | 那她正和你描述的一样 鲁伯特 |
[05:00] | – as bright as a button. – Yes. | -聪明过人 -是的 |
[05:02] | I will bet that your little investment is doing splendidly. | 我敢打赌你这个投资一定回报丰厚 |
[05:07] | Well, Mr. Parker, | 帕克先生 |
[05:10] | I’m afraid to say there’s… | 我恐怕… |
[05:15] | I will be unable to pay the first repayment on your loan. | 我没法支付贷款的第一笔还款 |
[05:18] | But be assured this is just | 但放心 这只是 |
[05:21] | the teething problems of a new business. | 新业务的初期问题 |
[05:26] | Miss Scarlet, | 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[05:28] | now I know we are business partners but… | 我知道我们是商业合作人 |
[05:32] | are we not now friends also? | 但我们不也是朋友吗 |
[05:35] | And as a friend I can assure you | 作为朋友 我可以向你保证 |
[05:37] | there is no rush to make the repayment. | 你不必急着偿还贷款 |
[05:43] | Thank you, Mr. Parker. | 谢谢你 帕克先生 |
[05:45] | Rupert, | 鲁伯特 |
[05:47] | please… | 别生分了 |
[05:49] | Eliza. | 伊莱莎 |
[05:53] | Right, we must celebrate. | 对了 我们得庆祝一下 |
[05:57] | Being a detective must be such fun. | 当侦探一定很有趣吧 |
[06:00] | How I wish I had a little hobby just like it. | 我多么希望我也有如此爱好 |
[06:03] | Tell me, Miss Scarlet, | 和我说说 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[06:04] | what happens when you catch your villain? | 你是怎么抓住坏人的 |
[06:07] | Do you hit the scoundrel with your purse? | 你用手提包打歹徒吗 |
[06:14] | And, um… | 还有 |
[06:15] | How did your mother react to the news of your leaving home? | 你母亲对你离家这件事作何反应 |
[06:19] | Well, | 这个嘛 |
[06:21] | she tried to persuade me otherwise, | 她试图说服我别这样做 |
[06:24] | but.. | 但是 |
[06:26] | I did as you suggested… | 我照你说的做了 |
[06:29] | I stuck to my guns. | 坚守了我的立场 |
[06:31] | Well, I hope you did not tell her | 我希望你没告诉她 |
[06:32] | that I had encouraged this declaration of independence? | 是我鼓励了你这次自立门户 |
[06:35] | Oh but he did, | 他说了 |
[06:36] | and she was furious. | 然后她气坏了 |
[06:45] | Do not worry, | 别担心 |
[06:47] | now that mother knows we are not to be married, | 现在母亲知道我们不会结婚了 |
[06:50] | there’s no reason for her to call on you anymore. | 她没理由再去见你了 |
[06:55] | To the future. | 敬未来 |
[07:07] | Miss Scarlet! | 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[07:11] | Mrs. Parker, how lovely to see you. | 帕克太太 真高兴见到您 |
[07:14] | I… | 我… |
[07:16] | I do hope you will stay for tea? | 我希望您能留下喝杯茶 |
[07:19] | This is no social call. | 这不是社交拜访 |
[07:26] | This must be a mistake. | 这一定是搞错了 |
[07:29] | My father would never make such an oversight. | 我父亲不可能会出这样的疏忽 |
[07:31] | I have heard your father had many distractions | 我听说自从你母亲走后 |
[07:34] | since the death of your mother. | 你父亲有不少心烦意乱之事 |
[07:36] | The lease renewal on this house | 这栋房子的租期续约 |
[07:37] | was no doubt the last thing on his mind. | 无疑是他最不上心的事情 |
[07:40] | But I do not have the money. | 但我没有钱 |
[07:42] | Then I will have to find new residents. | 那我就要找新租户了 |
[07:45] | You cannot do this. | 你不能这么做 |
[07:47] | I have lived in this house all my life. | 我一辈子都住在这座房子里 |
[07:50] | I own the freehold of seven houses in this street, | 我拥有这条街上七栋房子的所有权 |
[07:53] | the very bricks and mortar. | 一砖一瓦都是我的 |
[07:55] | I cannot give you special treatment. | 我不能给你特殊待遇 |
[07:57] | Why no notice? You must’ve known of this for some time. | 为什么不提前说呢 你一定早就知道了 |
[07:59] | I assumed, mistakenly, | 我错误地认为 |
[08:01] | that you were soon to become my daughter-in-law | 你会很快成为我的儿媳 |
[08:03] | and as such would be moving in with myself and Rupert. | 这样你应该搬到我和鲁伯特那里去 |
[08:06] | So this is about me declining your son’s offer of marriage? | 那这是为了报复我拒绝了你儿子的求婚 |
[08:10] | It was not done out of spite. | 我并没有恶意 |
[08:11] | But encouraging him to move out was. | 但鼓励他搬出去却是 |
[08:14] | He was perfectly content | 他之前非常知足 |
[08:15] | before you filled his head with outrageous ideas. | 直到你给他灌输了奇思异想 |
[08:18] | Mrs. Parker, please… | 帕克太太 拜托 |
[08:19] | You have until the end of the week. | 交租限期是这周末 |
[08:21] | If you cannot pay the renewal by then | 如果到那时你付不起租金 |
[08:23] | I will have no choice but to evict you. | 我就只能赶你出去了 |
[08:25] | Good day, Miss Scarlet. | 再见 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[08:33] | That woman. | 那个女人 |
[08:37] | I’ll do whatever it takes to keep this house. | 我会不惜一切代价留住这座房子 |
[08:40] | This is our home | 这是我们的家 |
[08:42] | for all three of us. | 是我们三个人的家 |
[08:43] | Kitty’s gone, | 吉蒂走了 |
[08:46] | got another position. | 找了另一份工作 |
[08:48] | Well I know I haven’t paid her for two weeks… | 我知道我已经两周没付她工资了 |
[08:50] | Three. | 三周 |
[08:51] | But there are bound to be issues in these early days, | 但早期必然会有很多问题 |
[08:53] | my agency has only been open four weeks. | 我的事务所才开业四周 |
[08:55] | Six! | 六周 |
[09:01] | I suppose you will leave me too. | 我想你也会离开我 |
[09:11] | There’s only one thing for it, | 只有一个办法了 |
[09:15] | what’s the best dress I own? | 我最好的裙子是哪条 |
[09:17] | The burgundy one, I think. | 我想是紫红色的那条 |
[09:19] | Are we brought so low that you have to sell your clothes? | 我们沦落到什么地步 你要卖自己的衣服了 |
[09:22] | I’m not selling it Ivy, | 我不是要卖它 艾薇 |
[09:24] | but I do need it pressed. | 但我需要熨熨它 |
[09:32] | Oh William? | 威廉 |
[09:34] | Eliza. | 伊莱莎 |
[09:36] | To what do I owe this unexpected delight? | 什么风把你吹来了 |
[09:38] | Oh I was just passing | 我只是路过 |
[09:39] | and thought I’d take tea with an old friend. | 想和老朋友喝杯茶 |
[09:41] | How thoughtful, | 多么贴心 |
[09:42] | but I am six men down so I’m afraid I cannot. | 但我缺了六个人手 所以我恐怕无法奉陪 |
[10:00] | I have not frequented the pie shop on the Charing Cross Road, | 我不常去查令十字街上的馅饼店 |
[10:03] | nor shall I if that’s the source of your men’s illness. | 如果那是你们得病的根源 我也不该去 |
[10:07] | It’s far from ideal. | 那里只能算凑合吧 |
[10:10] | With your staffing so diminished, you must be extremely busy. | 手下突然减少 你一定很忙吧 |
[10:14] | I have five murders, | 我有五起谋杀案 |
[10:16] | three missing persons and… | 三起失踪案 还有 |
[10:18] | the blackmail of a high court judge to deal with. | 高等法院法官的勒索案 |
[10:21] | So yes, you could say that. | 所以是的 你可以那么说 |
[10:24] | An idea has just popped into my head. | 我刚好有个主意 |
[10:27] | I’ve not thought this through but… | 我没仔细考虑 但是 |
[10:28] | I doubt that very much. | 我很怀疑 |
[10:31] | I could offer my assistance, | 我可以提供帮助 |
[10:33] | for a small fee of course. | 当然需要一点报酬 |
[10:38] | It’s tempting | 听起来很诱人 |
[10:39] | but unless you carry the badge of the Metropolitan Police | 但除非你有大都会警部的徽章 |
[10:43] | then I’m afraid I’m unable to accept that offer. | 否则我恐怕不能接受你的好意 |
[10:47] | It’s of no consequence. | 没关系 |
[10:49] | I’m extremely busy with my own clients. | 我处理自己的客户已经很忙了 |
[10:53] | Because I’ve heard how busy you are. | 因为我听说了你有多忙 |
[10:57] | Two cases since you opened your agency, | 事务所开业后 只有两起案件 |
[11:00] | three if you count the mysterious scratching | 三起 如果你算上疯米德先生阁楼里 |
[11:02] | from Mad Mr. Mead’s attic, | 神秘的刮痕 |
[11:05] | rats wasn’t it? | 是老鼠吗 |
[11:07] | Have you been spying on me? | 你在监视我吗 |
[11:09] | No, not me personally no. | 不 不是我个人 |
[11:12] | I need back up Duke, | 我们需要支援 公爵 |
[11:13] | we got an arson attack at the Mackintosh factory in Hackney. | 哈克尼的麦金托什工厂发生了一起纵火案 |
[11:16] | – Take Davey with you. – He’s on the Shoreditch murder. | -带上戴维 -他在处理肖迪奇的谋杀案 |
[11:18] | There must be someone else? | 肯定还有其他人吧 |
[11:21] | Well there ain’t. | 没有了 |
[11:25] | Excuse me one moment. | 等我一会儿 |
[11:28] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[11:53] | I have an urgent message for Inspector Wellington. | 我有个加急电报要给惠林顿督察 |
[11:55] | Oh leave it on his desk, | 放在他的桌子上吧 |
[11:56] | I will see that he reads it as soon as he returns. | 他一回来 我就让他看 |
[12:32] | Don’t go up there, it’s dangerous. | 别上去 很危险 |
[12:34] | I’ve sent for the police. | 我已经报警了 |
[12:37] | Wait! Stop! Where are you going? | 等等 停下 你要去哪 |
[12:53] | Edward! | 爱德华 |
[12:54] | Edward! | 爱德华 |
[12:56] | What have you done? | 你干了什么 |
[13:04] | Let my husband go! | 放开我丈夫 |
[13:05] | Frank! Get him down the station. | 弗兰克 带他去警局 |
[13:09] | I did not kill him! | 我没杀他 |
[13:10] | Of course you didn’t son. | 你当然没有 小子 |
[13:12] | How dare you hurt him! | 你怎敢伤害他 |
[13:13] | Let him go! | 放开他 |
[13:29] | How dare you read a police telegram? | 你竟敢读警局电报 |
[13:31] | But surely curiosity is | 但显然 好奇心是 |
[13:34] | an essential attribute in our line of work. | 我们这一行的必备素养 |
[13:36] | This is my line of work, not yours. | 这是我的行当 不是你的 |
[13:39] | If I’m to make a name for myself, | 如果我要为自己打响名气 |
[13:40] | I need as much experience of crime scenes as possible. | 我需要尽可能多地接触犯罪现场 |
[13:43] | It may have escaped your notice | 你可能没注意到 |
[13:44] | but I’m having a particularly bad day | 但我今天过得很糟糕 |
[13:47] | so I suggest that you take my advice and leave, | 所以我建议你听我的劝告 赶紧离开 |
[13:51] | now! | 马上 |
[13:54] | And here’s some advice for you… | 我也给你一些建议 |
[13:55] | Eliza, I’m warning you, one more word | 伊莱莎 我警告你 再多说一个字 |
[13:56] | and you will find yourself in court. | 我真的要起诉你 |
[13:59] | You might find your focus sharper, your workload lighter | 如果你减少降低酗酒 赌博和找女人的频率 |
[14:01] | if you toned down your drinking, gambling and womanizing. | 你的头脑会更清醒 工作效率会变高 |
[14:06] | You are charged with obstructing police business, | 你被指控妨碍警方事务 |
[14:10] | a fine will be issued for 40 shillings. | 罚款40先令 |
[14:13] | But I do not have 40 shillings. | 可是我没有40先令 |
[14:15] | Then a month in prison it is. | 那就改成一个月监禁 |
[14:19] | I will pay the fine for Miss Scarlet. | 我会替斯嘉丽小姐付罚款 |
[14:26] | I begged the inspector to listen to me | 我求督察听我解释 |
[14:28] | but it’s clear he thinks my husband… | 但他很明显认为我丈夫 |
[14:32] | a murderer, | 是凶手 |
[14:34] | which is why I came to find you. | 所以我来找你 |
[14:36] | I heard mention you were a private detective. | 我听说你是位私家侦探 |
[14:40] | Inspector Wellington singing my praises no doubt? | 肯定是惠灵顿督察在说我好话吧 |
[14:44] | I want you to find the real murderer. | 我想请你找出真正的凶手 |
[14:48] | My husband is innocent. | 我丈夫是无辜的 |
[14:51] | He is… | 他是 |
[14:53] | a gentle and kind man. | 一个温柔善良的人 |
[14:57] | I… | 我 |
[14:59] | I pray that he can cope in prison. | 但愿他在监狱里别太受罪 |
[15:06] | Edward bought me this coat | 我们刚结婚的时候 |
[15:09] | when we first married, | 爱德华给我买了这件外套 |
[15:10] | he said he always wanted to see me in a crowd. | 他说这样他就总能一眼在人群中看到我 |
[15:14] | It’s too exuberant for my taste, | 其实对我来说太花哨了 |
[15:17] | I only wear it now to be close to him. | 我现在穿着只是因为想念他 |
[15:22] | Mrs… | 太太 |
[15:24] | Mrs. Butler, your husband was found with a knife in his hand… | 巴特勒太太 你丈夫当时手里拿着刀 |
[15:29] | covered in the blood of a murdered man. | 浑身都是被害人的血 |
[15:32] | So whatever the outcome, | 所以不管结果如何 |
[15:34] | I must be sure that I will receive my fee. | 我希望能确保我有酬金可拿 |
[15:37] | Money is not an issue, | 钱不是问题 |
[15:39] | you will be paid, | 我会付钱的 |
[15:40] | whatever the outcome. | 不论结果如何 |
[15:44] | Alright. | 好吧 |
[15:48] | Tell me… | 跟我说说 |
[15:50] | Tell me about the dead man, | 那个死者的情况 |
[15:51] | every detail no matter how small. | 不论多小的细节都要说 |
[15:54] | His name was Sebastian Ridley, | 他叫塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利 |
[15:58] | he owned a saloon in Mayfair. | 在梅菲尔区[伦敦富人区]开了一家沙龙 |
[16:02] | Edward did his accounts, it’s how the two were acquainted. | 爱德华替他管账 他们就是这样认识的 |
[16:07] | I had little time for Mr. Ridley, | 我和雷德利先生鲜有交集 |
[16:09] | he was a loud, brash man. | 他是个聒噪 傲慢的人 |
[16:40] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[16:59] | Hello Miss Scarlet… | 你好 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[17:03] | Mr. Moses isn’t it? | 是摩西先生吧 |
[17:06] | It’s just Moses. | 我只是摩西 |
[17:09] | I’ve spent many hours thinking of you Miss Scarlet. | 我一直在琢磨你的事 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[17:14] | Nice things, I hope. | 希望是好事吧 |
[17:17] | When the governor at The Black Cat | 当”黑猫馆”的老板 |
[17:19] | found his head of security handcuffed to a radiator, | 发现他的安全主管被铐在暖气上 |
[17:23] | by a woman no less, | 还是个女人干的 |
[17:25] | it didn’t go down too well, | 结果不是很好 |
[17:28] | – lost me my job. – I do not come to make trouble. | -我丢了工作 -我不想惹麻烦 |
[17:31] | I’m working the Ridley murder case | 我接受了嫌疑人妻子的委托 |
[17:33] | on behalf of the accused’s wife. | 正在调查雷德利谋杀案 |
[17:35] | Perhaps you could help me with my enquiries? | 也许你可以帮我调查 |
[17:38] | I must warn you… | 我警告你 |
[17:41] | I am armed. | 我有刀 |
[17:52] | Mr. Ridley was a cautious man. | 雷德利先生是个谨慎的人 |
[17:55] | I do not want to die Mr. Moses. | 我不想死 摩西先生 |
[17:57] | Like I said… | 我说了 |
[18:00] | It’s just Moses. | 我只是摩西 |
[18:06] | I’m not going to kill you Miss Scarlet. | 我不会杀你的 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[18:09] | I’m going to hire you. | 我要雇你 |
[18:25] | You want me to find a snuff box? | 你想让我找一个鼻烟盒 |
[18:28] | It was my father’s, | 我父亲的 |
[18:30] | he was taken from Jamaica in the slave ships to London, | 他被奴隶贩子从牙买加带到伦敦 |
[18:33] | his owner gave him the box as a parting gift with the abolition. | 奴隶制废除时他主人送给他盒子作为赠礼 |
[18:38] | Apparently, he was a fair man, | 可以看出 作为一个奴隶主 |
[18:41] | for a slaver. | 他还算不错 |
[18:42] | But when I was a boy, I saw those scars on my father’s back… | 但我小时候 看到过我父亲背上的疤痕 |
[18:48] | I saw how he must’ve suffered. | 我知道他一定吃了很多苦 |
[18:51] | He was the bravest man I ever knew. | 他是我见过最勇敢的人 |
[18:55] | The box is all I have left of him. | 那盒子是他留给我的唯一一件东西了 |
[18:59] | I asked Mr Ridley to keep it in his safe, | 我请雷德利先生帮我保管在他的保险箱里 |
[19:01] | when I heard of his death, | 我听说他死了 |
[19:03] | I wanted my box back | 想来要回鼻烟盒 |
[19:03] | but no one had a key. | 但他们都没有钥匙 |
[19:07] | Then, late last night, | 然后 昨晚夜深时 |
[19:09] | someone come, cleared out everything. | 有人来了 带走了所有东西 |
[19:13] | Did you see who it was? | 你看到那人是谁了吗 |
[19:16] | It was the accountant’s wife. | 是会计师的妻子 |
[19:18] | Tabitha Butler cleared the safe? | 塔比莎·巴特勒清空了保险箱 |
[19:21] | I was here late, fixing up a broken table | 我晚上在这儿修桌子 |
[19:23] | when she let herself in. | 然后她进来了 |
[19:27] | Her husband, being Mr. Ridley’s accountant, | 她丈夫是雷德利先生的会计 |
[19:28] | had a key to the bar and the safe. | 自然有这里和保险箱的钥匙 |
[19:31] | Really? It doesn’t make any sense. | 真的吗 听起来不合理啊 |
[19:33] | She never seen me, | 她没看见我 |
[19:35] | the place was shut up and dark when she slipped in here | 她溜进来的时候这地方关着门 还很暗 |
[19:40] | and in her hand was a green carpet bag, | 她手里拎着个绿色旅行包 |
[19:43] | empty when she arrived, | 来时还空着 |
[19:45] | full when she left. | 走时却是满的 |
[19:48] | If it was dark, | 如果当时很暗 |
[19:49] | how could you tell the carpet bag was green? | 你怎么看出手提包是绿色的 |
[19:53] | Come to think of it, | 这么一想 |
[19:55] | why were you fixing a table in the dark. | 你为什么要摸黑修桌子 |
[19:59] | Fine! | 好吧 |
[20:03] | I wasn’t fixing a table. | 我不是在修桌子 |
[20:06] | I was trying to break into the safe when I hear footsteps. | 我当时想把保险箱撬开 听到了脚步声 |
[20:10] | I hid in the shadows and watched Mrs. Butler empty the contents | 我躲进暗处 看着巴特勒太太把所有东西 |
[20:13] | into her bag including my father’s snuff box. | 放进了她包里 包括我父亲的鼻烟壶 |
[20:20] | I might’ve stopped her | 也许我能阻止她 |
[20:20] | if I wasn’t already in trouble with the law. | 要是当时我没触犯法律的话 |
[20:24] | That box is the only thing I have left of my father | 鼻烟盒是我父亲唯一的遗物 |
[20:27] | and you will get it back for me. | 你要帮我找回来 |
[20:29] | But it would unethical to investigate my own client… | 但调查自己的客户不符合职业道德 |
[20:35] | Unless of course you too will pay me a fee? | 当然了 除非你也会给我报酬 |
[20:40] | The fee is that I let you live. | 报酬就是我饶你一命 |
[20:50] | I’ll just fetch my mistress. | 我去找女主人 |
[20:55] | So you’re a private detective? | 你是私家侦探吗 |
[20:58] | I am. | 是的 |
[21:02] | Miss Scarlet… | 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[21:03] | I apologize for having to receive you in the hall | 很抱歉在走廊里接待你 |
[21:06] | but as you can appreciate, | 但你一定能理解 |
[21:08] | I cannot entertain in that room ever again. | 我再也没法在那个房间接待客人了 |
[21:13] | Here is the money I owe you. | 这是我欠你的钱 |
[21:18] | But this is not the advance that we discussed. | 但是 这不是我们之前谈过的预付款的价格 |
[21:20] | This is no advance, | 这不是预付款 |
[21:22] | this is money to sever our contract. | 这笔钱是用来终止合同的 |
[21:24] | I sent a note to your office last night | 昨晚 我送了一张便条到你的办公室 |
[21:26] | ending our agreement. | 我要终止协议 |
[21:27] | But I’ve not been in my office since yesterday evening | 但是昨天傍晚我们敲定协议之后 |
[21:30] | when we shook on that agreement. | 我就没去过办公室了 |
[21:31] | Well I no longer need your services. | 我不需要你的服务了 |
[21:34] | Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m extremely late for church. | 对不起 我去教堂要迟到了 |
[21:36] | Annie? | 安妮 |
[21:37] | Please show Miss Scarlet out. | 送斯嘉丽小姐出去 |
[21:41] | But what about your husband Mrs. Butler? | 但是你丈夫该怎么办 巴特勒太太 |
[21:44] | Only yesterday you wore this coat to show your love for him. | 就在昨天你还穿着这件外套 展示你对他的爱 |
[21:47] | Why the sudden change of heart? | 为什么突然改变心意了呢 |
[21:49] | He can be damned to hell as far as I’m concerned. | 要我说 就让他下地狱吧 |
[21:54] | This whole business has left me feeling rather wheezy, | 这整件事让我感到有点喘不过气 |
[21:56] | may I trouble you for a glass of water? | 麻烦你给我一杯水好吗 |
[21:59] | Fetch Miss Scarlet a glass of water before she goes on her way. | 给斯嘉丽小姐一杯水 然后送她出去 |
[22:09] | Just a small glass will suffice. | 只要一小杯就可以了 |
[22:12] | I think we both know it’s not water you want. | 我们俩都清楚你要的不是水 |
[22:16] | Make it worth my while and you can snoop as much as you like. | 只要让我满意 你就可以任意调查 |
[23:25] | 亲爱的塞巴斯蒂安 我亲爱的塞巴斯蒂安 我多么渴望你的亲吻 渴望你的唇 | |
[23:48] | Clear out the cells, Frank, get rid of the drunks, | 把牢房清理了 弗兰克 把醉汉都赶走 |
[23:50] | the whores and the insane. | 还有妓女和疯子 |
[23:53] | I’m a senior detective, Duke, I ain’t clearing out no cells. | 我是高级警探 公爵 我才不要去清理牢房 |
[23:57] | I have spent my morning | 我一整个早上 |
[23:59] | doing house to house calls in the Holburn slums, | 都在挨家挨户的拜访霍伯恩贫民窟 |
[24:01] | I haven’t done that since I was a constable. | 从我当上警员后就没这么做过了 |
[24:03] | I had an apple core thrown at my head and | 有人朝我的脑袋扔苹果核 |
[24:06] | a parcel of feces waiting for me on the seat of my carriage. | 我的马车座椅上还被人放了一包屎 |
[24:09] | I assume that it was dog but who knows? | 我猜那是狗屎 但谁知道呢 |
[24:12] | The point is, Frank, that | 重点是 弗兰克 |
[24:13] | I am enjoying this week as little as you are, | 我这周和你一样过得不如意 |
[24:16] | so clear out the damn cells, eh? | 所以快去清理牢房 |
[24:19] | Good lad. | 好小伙 |
[24:24] | No eating on duty. That’s a bloody disgrace! | 执勤时不许吃东西 太丢人了 |
[24:38] | Oh, for God’s sake. | 我的天 |
[24:40] | Eliza, what are you doing here? | 伊莱莎 你在这里做什么 |
[24:42] | The deeply religious Mrs. Tabitha Butler | 虔诚的教徒塔比莎·巴特勒太太 |
[24:43] | was having an affair with Sebastian Ridley, | 和塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利有婚外情 |
[24:46] | I found love letters from her to him. | 我发现了她写给雷德利的情书 |
[24:49] | So her husband did have a motive, | 所以她丈夫的确有动机 |
[24:51] | it was a crime of passion and she would’ve known this. | 这是冲动犯罪 她应该知道 |
[24:54] | And explains why Mrs. Butler dismissed me | 这也能解释为什么巴特勒太太解雇了我 |
[24:56] | but not why she hired me in the first place. | 但无法解释她刚开始为什么要雇佣我 |
[24:59] | Oh, she’s dismissed you? Already? | 她解雇了你 这么快 |
[25:02] | And what of her change of heart? | 她到底改变了什么主意呢 |
[25:04] | One moment she protests her husband’s innocent, | 前一刻她还坚信她丈夫是无辜的 |
[25:06] | then she damns him to hell, it makes no sense. | 下一刻她就诅咒她丈夫下地狱 说不通啊 |
[25:09] | My prime suspect has pleaded guilty, | 我的头号嫌疑犯已经认罪了 |
[25:12] | end of story. | 案件结束 |
[25:13] | Since when? | 什么时候 |
[25:14] | Since this morning, | 今天早晨 |
[25:15] | which means I have one less case in | 也就说明 我又少了一起案子 |
[25:18] | what is proving to be an extremely vexing week. | 让我这周不会变得更苦恼 |
[25:21] | So Mr. And Mrs. Butler suddenly change from innocent to guilty? | 巴特勒夫妇突然从无辜者转变为了犯罪者 |
[25:26] | Something’s amiss here. | 事情有点不对劲 |
[25:28] | Tabitha Butler’s not a woman to be trusted, | 塔比莎·巴特勒不是个值得信任的女人 |
[25:31] | she’s a liar and a thief. | 她是个骗子 还是个小偷 |
[25:32] | I found the contents of Mr. Ridley’s safe at her house. | 我在她家找到了雷德利先生失窃保险箱里的东西 |
[25:37] | Don’t tell me that you broke into Mrs. Butler’s house. | 别告诉我你非法闯入了巴特勒太太的家 |
[25:40] | Do you want to end up in court again? | 你又想要被起诉吗 |
[25:41] | Oh yes, thank you for that, | 那还不是托你的福 |
[25:43] | you’ll have me spend a month in prison? | 你要把我在监狱里关一个月吗 |
[25:45] | Magistrate Wilkes is an old friend, | 威尔克斯法官是我的老朋友 |
[25:46] | I merely wished to put the wind up you, | 我只是想吓唬吓唬你 |
[25:48] | I didn’t expect Mrs. Butler to bail you. | 我没想到巴特勒太太会保释你 |
[25:51] | Exactly my point, she bails me out, | 正是我要说的 她保释了我 |
[25:53] | hires me to prove her husband is innocent | 雇佣我去证明她丈夫是无辜的 |
[25:55] | and then dismisses me. | 然后解雇了我 |
[25:56] | You see? | 你明白了吗 |
[25:57] | Something is amiss. | 这件事不对劲 |
[25:59] | The case is closed. | 这案子已经结案了 |
[26:01] | In fact, | 事实上 |
[26:02] | I am on my way to the morgue right now | 我现在正要去停尸房 |
[26:04] | to complete the paperwork to release Mr. Ridley’s body for burial. | 填写释放雷德利先生的尸体的文书 好让其下葬 |
[26:08] | Just another lowly task that I’m forced to cover. | 又一件我不得不去做的琐碎小事 |
[26:11] | You’re going to see the body of Mr. Ridley? | 你要去看雷德利先生的尸体 |
[26:12] | Yes. | 对 |
[26:14] | And no, you may not come. | 而且不行 你不能来 |
[26:18] | And if you could also sign here, here and here. | 你还要在这里 这里 还有这签名 |
[26:25] | How many bloody signatures do you need? | 妈的 你到底需要我签多少字 |
[26:27] | Everything must now be in triplicate. | 所有文件都必须一式三份 |
[26:30] | And out of respect for the dead, | 出于对死者的尊重 |
[26:31] | if you could kindly refrain from swearing, Inspector? | 能请你不要说脏话吗 督察 |
[26:34] | I’m a god fearing man. | 我是个敬畏上帝的人 |
[26:37] | Just take me to the body, | 带我去看尸体 |
[26:39] | please. | 请 |
[26:40] | Of course, | 当然 |
[26:41] | but I will need one more signature… | 但是我需要你再签一次字 |
[26:44] | Here. | 这里 |
[26:46] | Of course I am used to being with one of your detectives, | 当然了 我已经习惯有警探来这里了 |
[26:49] | it’s most unusual that we have the honor of an inspector, | 不过督察莅临 可是不常见 |
[26:53] | even more unusual that he should bring his wife. | 但更不常见的是 你把你的妻子也带来了 |
[26:59] | My wife? | 我妻子 |
[27:00] | I have requested that she wait for you outside, | 我让她在外面等你 |
[27:03] | women are not allowed in a mortuary, you see. | 女人是不允许进停尸间的 |
[27:05] | It would not be proper. | 这不合适 |
[27:07] | My wife? | 我妻子 |
[27:22] | I specifically requested | 我特别要求过 |
[27:23] | that you wait outside for your husband, madam! | 让你在外面等你的丈夫 女士 |
[27:25] | She’s not my wife. | 她不是我妻子 |
[27:26] | I found something most interesting, William. | 我发现了很有意思的东西 威廉 |
[27:29] | The cut across the throat takes a left to right formation. | 他喉咙上的割伤是由左到右造成的 |
[27:32] | Inspector, this is most irregular, | 督察 这太不寻常了 |
[27:33] | in all my years I have never allowed a lady into this room! | 我工作这么多年从没让女士进过这屋 |
[27:36] | This suggests the perpetrator was right handed, | 这就说明 行凶者是右撇子 |
[27:39] | but the accused, Edward Butler, | 但是被告 爱德华·巴特勒 |
[27:40] | picked up the knife with his left hand | 当他被妻子的尖叫声叫醒时 |
[27:42] | when woken by his wife’s screaming. | 是用左手捡起了刀 |
[27:43] | I do not have time for your musings. | 我没时间听你的想法 |
[27:45] | My only task here | 我来这唯一的任务 |
[27:46] | is to identify that this is Sebastian Ridley. | 就是确定这是塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利 |
[27:49] | Which it is. My work is done. | 而他就是 我的任务完成了 |
[27:52] | Then you will need to sign | 那么你就需要 |
[27:55] | here, here and here. | 在这 这 还有这里签字 |
[27:57] | There are no fragments of cotton from the collar in the neck wound. | 脖子的伤口里面没有领口的棉花碎片 |
[28:01] | The perpetrator has taken time to pull down the collar | 行凶者花时间拉下了领口 |
[28:04] | and cut knife to skin, | 然后才割开了皮肤 |
[28:05] | this was no frenzied attack. | 这不是冲动行凶 |
[28:06] | Inspector, I really must insist that you remove your wife! | 督察 我真的需要你把你的妻子带走 |
[28:09] | She’s not my bloody wife! | 该死的 她不是我妻子 |
[28:10] | And if you could please refrain from swearing! | 也请你不要再咒骂了 |
[28:12] | There are often anomalies in knife wounds, | 刀伤里通常会有异物 |
[28:14] | you would know this if you were a police officer. | 如果你是警察的话 就会知道这点 |
[28:17] | But you’re not. | 但你不是 |
[28:18] | Good day. | 再见 |
[28:25] | Well, it seems like you have no business being here madam. | 看起来你不应该再待在这里了 女士 |
[28:30] | – I just need five more minutes. – Quite impossible. | -我还需要五分钟 -不可能 |
[28:36] | Maybe this would help. | 也许这会让你改变想法 |
[28:38] | You are charged with | 你被指控 |
[28:40] | attempting to bribe an official of the crown at the city’s morgue. | 试图贿赂市停尸间的政府官员 |
[28:45] | A fine will issue for 60 shillings. | 罚款60先令 |
[28:48] | 60? It was 40 before. | 60 之前还是40 |
[28:51] | 70 for insolence. | 70 因为你藐视法庭 |
[29:16] | Thank you for speaking to Magistrate Wilkes, | 谢谢你向威尔克斯法官求情 |
[29:19] | I will not put you in that situation again. | 我不会再将你置于那种境地了 |
[29:22] | I doubt that very much. | 我非常怀疑 |
[29:24] | Eliza, I would like to find a way that we can coexist | 伊莱莎 我希望我们能找到一种方式共处 |
[29:28] | without causing each other constant agitation. | 而不会不断地给对方造成烦恼 |
[29:31] | So would I. | 我也希望 |
[29:33] | Father would not want us to be at odds. | 父亲不会希望我们不和 |
[29:37] | Good. | 很好 |
[29:38] | Then we are agreed. | 那么我们说好了 |
[29:40] | You will drop the case of Sebastian Ridley | 你会放弃塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利的案子 |
[29:42] | and inconvenience me with it no longer. | 并且不会再给我造成不便 |
[29:45] | – Here! – What? | -驾车 -什么 |
[29:47] | That’s not what we agreed. | 这不是我们说好的 |
[29:48] | William! | 威廉 |
[29:50] | That’s not what we agreed! | 这不是我们说好的 |
[30:12] | I know that look, | 我了解你那副表情 |
[30:14] | it is one of confusion, | 这是一种疑惑 |
[30:16] | puzzlement, discombobulation, | 迷茫 混乱 |
[30:19] | it is the same look you reserved for your schoolwork. | 这和你做作业时的表情一样 |
[30:22] | Actually I’m, | 其实 我 |
[30:24] | I’m remembering something you once told me. | 我在回忆你以前告诉过我的事 |
[30:26] | Oh I told you many things, most of which quite useless I fear. | 我跟你说过很多事 恐怕大多数都是无用的 |
[30:30] | You said that a, a tattoo found on an unidentified body was a… | 你说过 在一具身份不明的尸体上发现纹身是 |
[30:35] | a prize indeed. | 是一个奖励 |
[30:37] | How macabre, | 多么可怕 |
[30:39] | it certainly sounds like me. | 的确听着像是我说的 |
[30:41] | You said that it, it gave insight to a person’s past, | 你说过 这能让我洞察到这个人的过往 |
[30:46] | perhaps a badge of belonging, | 也许是代表他身份归属的徽章 |
[30:48] | like to the navy or a… | 像是海军 或 |
[30:51] | quiet rebellion hidden on one’s body for one’s eyes only. | 隐藏在身体某处 只给一人看的小小叛逆 |
[30:55] | How is it you remember my musings in such detail, | 你怎么能这么清楚地记得我说过的话 |
[30:59] | yet you can never recite one word of your Latin homework? | 但你却没法记住你拉丁语作业的任何单词 |
[31:21] | I knew I had seen that rose before… | 我知道我以前看见过那种玫瑰 |
[31:24] | Your friend, Doctor Moorhouse, | 你的朋友 穆尔豪斯医生 |
[31:26] | also wore one in his lapel when we met. | 我们见面的时候 他的西装翻领上就有一支 |
[31:29] | Do you hit the scoundrel with your purse? | 你用手提包打歹徒吗 |
[31:32] | Mr. Ridley had the dark blue rose tattooed onto his arm. | 雷德利先生的胳膊上有暗蓝色的玫瑰纹身 |
[31:37] | It means something, does it not? | 这是有意义的 不是吗 |
[31:48] | I swear that whatever you… | 我发誓 无论 |
[31:50] | tell me will remain between us. | 你告诉我什么 我都会保密 |
[32:01] | They’re called the Midnight Rose | 它们被称之为午夜玫瑰 |
[32:04] | and they send a message that you are… | 玫瑰代表的含义是 我们是… |
[32:09] | a like minded fellow. | 一群志趣相同的伙伴 |
[32:13] | A like minded fellow? | 一群志趣相同的伙伴 |
[32:18] | That is, a man whose tastes do not lie with… | 就是指 一个男人不喜欢… |
[32:26] | women. | 女人 |
[32:29] | I take a great risk confiding in you, Eliza. | 我冒了极大的风险向你坦白 伊莱莎 |
[32:33] | Now, men like me, we are damned by the church and by, by the law. | 像我这样的男人 为宗教和法律所不齿 |
[32:41] | You know as. | 你也清楚的 |
[32:43] | I am not a religious man, thanks to Mr. Darwin, | 我不是教徒 多亏了达尔文先生 |
[32:47] | eternity in Satan’s fire, it does not concern me. | 永坠于地狱之火也吓不到我 |
[32:52] | Imprisonment and | 但坐牢和 |
[32:56] | the disgrace that would bring to my mother… | 使我母亲蒙受耻辱 |
[33:01] | I can’t. | 我不能 |
[33:03] | Well, if anyone finds out… | 如果有人发现的话 |
[33:07] | it will not be through me. | 绝不会是我泄露的 |
[33:13] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[33:17] | But Sebastian Ridley was having an affair with a woman. | 但塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利和一个女人有外遇 |
[33:21] | I can assure you; | 我向你保证 |
[33:23] | Mr. Ridley had a huge appetite for many things but… | 雷德利先生兴趣广泛 但是 |
[33:27] | women were not one of them. | 女人并不是其中之一 |
[33:29] | You knew him? | 你认识他 |
[33:36] | Each Wednesday, he ran a special night at his saloon, | 每周三 他的沙龙都会举办一个特别晚会 |
[33:42] | as our safe haven. | 作为我们的避风港 |
[33:45] | A less secure meeting place | 在不太安全的见面地点会面 |
[33:48] | could land a man 10 years hard labor. | 可能会导致做十年苦力的下场 |
[33:53] | We were all very grateful to him and so saddened by his loss. | 我们都十分感激他 并为他的离去感到悲伤 |
[34:01] | It makes no sense, Eliza, | 这说不通 伊莱莎 |
[34:04] | the man who he loved most, | 他最爱的男人 |
[34:06] | his dearest Teddy would be the one to murder him. | 他最爱的泰迪 会是杀害他的凶手 |
[34:10] | It’s a shock indeed. | 真是令人震惊 |
[34:12] | Teddy? | 泰迪 |
[34:15] | Edward Butler, his, his accountant. | 爱德华·巴特勒 他的会计师 |
[34:20] | We all knew him as Edward at the saloon, only… | 沙龙上的大家都知道他是爱德华 只是 |
[34:23] | it was Sebastian who nicknamed him Teddy. | 塞巴斯蒂安给他起了个昵称 泰迪 |
[34:27] | He too was a regular on those nights. | 他也是沙龙晚会的常客 |
[34:31] | T was for Teddy, | T是指泰迪 |
[34:33] | not Tabitha. | 不是塔比莎 |
[34:35] | Sorry? | 什么 |
[34:37] | Sebastian and Edward were lovers? | 塞巴斯蒂安和爱德华是情人 |
[34:44] | I do not believe that Edward Butler killed Sebastian Ridley. | 我不相信爱德华·巴特勒杀了塞巴斯蒂安 |
[34:49] | Is there someone you know who might wish him ill? | 你知道会有谁想杀了他吗 |
[34:53] | Maybe someone in that circle? | 也许是你们圈子里的人 |
[34:56] | No one I can think of. | 我想不到 |
[34:58] | You might want to have a word with the doorman at the saloon | 也许你想和沙龙的看门人谈谈 |
[35:02] | who worked those particular nights, | 他专在那些特殊晚会时上班 |
[35:04] | for the life of me I cannot remember his name, | 但我无论如何都想不起来他的名字了 |
[35:07] | only he was Jamaican. | 只知道他是牙买加人 |
[35:50] | Moses? | 摩西 |
[36:02] | It’s alright, Albert, it’s not the coppers… | 没事 阿尔伯特 不是警察 |
[36:06] | Do you belong to the Jamaican? | 你认识这个牙买加人吗 |
[36:09] | I think we might’ve killed him, sorry about that. | 我们已经杀了他 真不好意思 |
[36:12] | You could stay, keep us company if you like? | 如果你愿意 可以留下来陪陪我们 |
[36:15] | I think I will leave you gentlemen | 我想我还是离开吧 |
[36:16] | to carry on with whatever it is you’re doing. | 让你们继续做你们想做的事 |
[36:18] | Stealing. | 偷窃 |
[36:21] | All this booze is no good to a dead governor now, is it? | 既然老板死了 酒也没用了 不是吗 |
[36:27] | I, I suppose not. | 我想是的 |
[36:40] | Don’t touch me. | 不要碰我 |
[36:41] | You’ve got two choices, pretty, | 你有两个选择 美人 |
[36:43] | keep your mouth shut or Albert here will cut your tongue out. | 闭上你的嘴 否则阿尔伯特会割了你的舌头 |
[36:47] | Ah, get your hands off me. | 把你的手拿开 |
[36:53] | You’re a real gentleman now, Albert! | 现在你是个真正的绅士了 阿尔伯特 |
[36:59] | Witch! | 女巫 |
[37:01] | What have you given Albert? | 你给阿尔伯特下了什么药 |
[37:06] | No! | 不 |
[37:07] | No, no, no! Wow! | 不不 |
[37:09] | No, no. | 不要 |
[37:14] | That was a warning shot. | 那一枪是给你警告 |
[37:16] | Now get out and take your friend with you | 现在 带上你的朋友出去 |
[37:18] | or the next bullet will be in your head. | 否则下一枪打的就是你的脑袋 |
[37:33] | Where are those scum? | 那两个人渣在哪 |
[37:36] | I dealt with them. | 我把他们解决了 |
[37:38] | You dealt with them? | 你把他们解决了 |
[37:41] | It wasn’t that hard. | 也没那么难 |
[37:43] | Then why are your hands shaking? | 那为什么你的手在抖 |
[37:52] | I don’t wish to discuss those men. | 我不想讨论那两个人 |
[37:54] | You can deal with them in your own time. | 你可以在自己的时间里解决他们 |
[37:56] | No, don’t worry. | 不用担心 |
[37:58] | I will. | 我会的 |
[38:00] | I’m more interested in this… | 我对这个更感兴趣 |
[38:05] | Opium, | 鸦片 |
[38:07] | and in the quantity that’s illegal. | 这个剂量可是犯法的 |
[38:09] | Are you involved in drugs smuggling? | 你在参与毒品走私吗 |
[38:12] | More to the point, does it involve Mr. Ridley’s death? | 说得更确切些 雷德利先生的死是否与这有关 |
[38:18] | The opium isn’t mine… | 鸦片不是我的 |
[38:21] | and neither is the snuff box. | 鼻烟壶也不是我的 |
[38:24] | Nor was my father a slave, | 我父亲也不是奴隶 |
[38:27] | just some drunk who never left Jamaica | 他只是个从没离开过牙买加的酒鬼 |
[38:29] | and died falling into a pond. | 失足掉进池塘淹死了 |
[38:32] | So the box belongs to Sebastian Ridley | 所以鼻烟壶是塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利的 |
[38:34] | and now that he’s dead you saw an opportunity to steal it? | 他死了之后 你就趁机把鼻烟壶偷走了 |
[38:38] | This place will soon be sold off, | 这个地方很快就要被变卖了 |
[38:41] | I have no job, | 我没有工作 |
[38:43] | no home, nothing. | 没有房子 一无所有 |
[38:44] | Do not expect sympathy from me, sir. | 不要妄想从我这里获得同情 先生 |
[38:47] | I am faced with similar problems of my own. | 我自己也面临着相似的问题 |
[38:50] | I know that you worked the door on Ridley’s special nights. | 我知道你为雷德利的特殊晚会作看门人 |
[38:54] | Tell me what you know of him and Edward Butler. | 告诉我你知道的关于他和爱德华·巴特勒的事 |
[38:56] | Nothing. | 无可奉告 |
[38:58] | Kept myself to myself. | 我守口如瓶 |
[39:01] | Those men here today thought they’d killed you. | 今天来的那两个人 以为他们杀了你 |
[39:06] | If they’d seen you wake they’d have finished you off. | 如果他们看见你醒来 他们会彻底解决你 |
[39:09] | Is this your way of telling me I owe you my life? | 你是想说我欠你一条命吗 |
[39:36] | I know who supplied the opium. | 我知道是谁提供的鸦片 |
[39:40] | He was a regular on those nights. | 他是特殊晚会的常客 |
[39:43] | A doctor. | 一个医生 |
[39:45] | Do you remember his name? | 你还记得他的名字 |
[39:56] | I’ll give you some privacy. | 我让你们俩单独谈谈 |
[40:03] | I admit, I was Sebastian’s doctor. | 我承认 我之前是塞巴斯蒂安的医生 |
[40:06] | I am the doctor to many at the bar. | 我是那间酒吧里很多人的医生 |
[40:08] | And I know the restrictions on supplying opium grow tighter but. | 我知道关于供应鸦片的限制越来越严格 但是 |
[40:13] | I made an exception in this case. | 我在这次情况下破例了 |
[40:15] | In this case? | 这次情况下 |
[40:17] | Sebastian was dying. | 塞巴斯蒂安快死了 |
[40:19] | He had a tumor to the stomach, only months to live. | 他的胃里长了个肿瘤 只剩几个月可活 |
[40:22] | I see. | 我知道了 |
[40:23] | He begged me for pain relief | 他求我帮他缓解疼痛 |
[40:25] | but the opium ceased having effect. | 但鸦片不再有效了 |
[40:29] | The end was near for dear Sebastian. | 亲爱的塞巴斯蒂安即将死亡 |
[40:32] | Who else knew about this? | 还有谁知道 |
[40:34] | He wanted it a secret between us, | 他希望这个秘密只有我们两人知道 |
[40:36] | which is why I was so shocked that | 所以我才那么震惊 |
[40:38] | the wife of his accountant knew. | 他会计的妻子居然知道 |
[40:41] | Tabitha Butler? | 塔比莎·巴特勒 |
[40:44] | But it was my belief that she disliked him. | 但是我之前以为塔比莎不喜欢他 |
[40:47] | Are you certain she knew? | 你确定塔比莎知道吗 |
[40:49] | The evening Sebastian died, I went to see Mrs. Butler; | 塞巴斯蒂安死的那天晚上 我去见了巴特勒太太 |
[40:52] | I was concerned that | 我很担心 |
[40:55] | if the opium was found it might be traced back to me. | 如果鸦片被人发现的话 会查到我头上来 |
[40:59] | I arrived to find her sobbing in the very room of his murder. | 我到的时候 发现她在他被谋杀的房间啜泣 |
[41:03] | When I expressed my sorrow over what had happened, | 当我对所发生的事表示悲痛时 |
[41:06] | her response was surprising indeed. | 她的回答确实让我感到吃惊 |
[41:10] | How so? | 怎么说 |
[41:11] | She said she hoped Sebastian suffered to the last with his tumor | 她说 希望塞巴斯蒂安到死都受肿瘤之苦 |
[41:15] | and her husband would soon join him in hell. | 希望她丈夫能很快随他一起下地狱 |
[41:18] | Her fury was such that her hands were shaking, | 她是如此愤怒 以至于她的双手都在颤抖 |
[41:21] | she could barely hold the letter. | 她都快拿不住信了 |
[41:24] | She was reading a letter? | 她在读一封信 |
[41:29] | Mrs. Butler left my office at 5:00 | 巴特勒太太在五点离开了我的办公室 |
[41:31] | that same day protesting her husband’s innocence. | 同一天 她坚信她丈夫是无辜的 |
[41:35] | You saw her one short hour later | 你在短短一个小时后见到她 |
[41:37] | and suddenly she despises him. | 她突然变得如此痛恨她的丈夫 |
[41:40] | Whatever was in that letter changed her mind. | 一定是信的内容改变了她的心意 |
[41:43] | Did you see the contents? | 你看到内容了吗 |
[41:45] | Only the name on the envelope, | 只看到了信封上的名字 |
[41:47] | bloodied and screwed up on the floor, | 信封沾满了血 掉在地上 |
[41:50] | it was addressed to Teddy. | 上面写着是给泰迪的 |
[41:52] | Teddy? | 泰迪 |
[41:54] | That was the name only Sebastian used for Edward. | 只有塞巴斯蒂安会这么称呼爱德华 |
[42:09] | You’re not allowed in here. | 你不能来这里 |
[42:10] | How many times, Eliza? | 多少次了 伊莱莎 |
[42:12] | Mr. Potts is at the Coroner’s Office | 波茨先生在验尸官的办公室 |
[42:13] | attending to an urgent message. | 正在处理紧急信息 |
[42:15] | – How do you know? – I sent it. | -你怎么知道 -是我发的 |
[42:18] | Edward Butler did not murder Sebastian Ridley. | 爱德华·巴特勒没有谋杀塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利 |
[42:20] | In just under one hour, Mr. Butler, | 不到一个小时 巴特勒先生 |
[42:23] | my prime suspect, and guilty by his own admission, | 自己也承认了有罪的 我的首要嫌疑人 |
[42:26] | will be leaving his prison cell to walk the few yards | 将要离开监狱 走上几码路 |
[42:29] | to his public execution. | 被公开处刑 |
[42:31] | The case is closed. | 这案子已经结了 |
[42:33] | You may wish to prepare yourself for what I’m about to tell you. | 你最好为接下来我告诉你的事 做好心理准备 |
[42:38] | Edward Butler and Sebastian Ridley were lovers. | 爱德华·巴特勒和塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利是情人 |
[42:47] | I thought you’d be more shocked, | 我还以为你会更吃惊一点 |
[42:50] | horrified even. | 甚至感到惊恐 |
[42:51] | If you saw the things that I see on a daily basis, | 如果你目睹了我日常经历的一切 |
[42:53] | nothing would shock you. | 就没有事可以让你感到震惊 |
[42:54] | – Now… – Sebastian Ridley was ill, | -你可以走了 -塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利生病了 |
[42:57] | he was dying, | 他快死了 |
[42:59] | it was he who killed himself, | 他是自杀的 |
[43:00] | the cuts on his throat are consistent with this. | 他喉咙上的伤口与事实相符 |
[43:03] | He wrote Edward Butler a suicide letter. | 他给爱德华·巴特勒写了一封遗书 |
[43:06] | Mrs. Butler has concealed it, | 巴特勒太太把信藏了起来 |
[43:07] | she is going to let her unfaithful husband be sent to the gallows | 她要让她不忠的丈夫被送上绞刑架 |
[43:10] | for a murder he did not do. | 让他背负莫须有的罪名 |
[43:12] | William, | 威廉 |
[43:15] | I know you are stretched, | 我知道你能力有限 |
[43:17] | but if an innocent man is hanged for a crime he did not commit | 但如果一个无辜的人要因他没犯过的罪行被绞刑 |
[43:19] | it will be on you and your reputation. | 这将是你的责任 也有损你的声誉 |
[43:24] | She’s on her way to Euston, | 她正前往尤思顿车站 |
[43:25] | catching the 4:00 train to Liverpool, | 要搭乘四点前往利物浦的火车 |
[43:28] | she’s leaving for America, sir. | 她要去美国了 先生 |
[43:30] | Then why are her things still here? | 那为什么她的东西还在这里 |
[43:32] | I am to pack the rest of her possessions and then follow on. | 我要收拾她剩下的东西 然后跟着去 |
[43:38] | This is the receipt for Mrs. Butler’s train ticket, sir. | 这是巴特勒太太买火车票的收据 先生 |
[43:46] | You should be the one to bring Tabitha Butler in, William. | 应该由你去带塔比莎·巴特勒回来 威廉 |
[43:49] | It benefits me too that we protect your reputation. | 保护你的名誉对我也有好处 |
[43:57] | – Euston Station, Arthur. – Yes sir! | -尤思顿车站 亚瑟 -是 先生 |
[44:32] | Your husband gave you that coat. | 你丈夫送了你这件外套 |
[44:35] | So that he’d see you in a crowd. | 好让他能在人群里看见你 |
[44:38] | And here you are. | 而你穿着它来了 |
[44:40] | When I saw it gone I knew there could only be one reason | 当我发现外套不在 我就知道 只有一个原因 |
[44:42] | why you’d ever wear it again. | 会让你再穿上这件外套 |
[44:52] | I understand you want revenge | 我理解你想要复仇 |
[44:54] | but we both know your husband is innocent. | 但是我们都知道 你丈夫是无辜的 |
[44:57] | Sebastian Ridley killed himself. | 塞巴斯蒂安·雷德利是自杀 |
[45:03] | There was a suicide letter, wasn’t there? | 还有一封遗书 对吧 |
[45:06] | Where is it, Mrs. Butler? | 信在哪 巴特勒太太 |
[45:08] | He betrayed me. | 他背叛了我 |
[45:10] | What he did with that man was an abomination. | 他和那个男人做的事 令人憎恶 |
[45:13] | But is it still right to let an innocent man die? | 但这就足以让一个无辜之人去死吗 |
[45:16] | Mrs. Butler! | 巴特勒太太 |
[45:18] | Tabitha! | 塔比莎 |
[45:19] | Give me that letter, please. | 请将那封信给我 |
[45:23] | Please! | 求你了 |
[45:27] | Stop the execution! | 停止处刑 |
[45:29] | I have evidence of Edward Butler’s innocence! | 我有证明爱德华·巴特勒清白的证据 |
[45:32] | When Sebastian told me he was ill, he… | 当塞巴斯蒂安告诉我他生病了 他… |
[45:36] | wanted us to go away, | 想我们两人一起离开 |
[45:37] | live out his final months together. | 共同度过他生命中最后的几个月 |
[45:40] | He was terrified of dying alone. | 他很害怕独自一人死去 |
[45:43] | But I refused. | 但是我拒绝了 |
[45:45] | I could not live with the shame of Tabitha knowing the truth. | 我无法忍受让塔比莎知道真相的羞耻 |
[45:51] | Next morning I returned home | 第二天早上 我回到家 |
[45:53] | to find Sebastian in my drawing room, | 发现塞巴斯蒂安在我家客厅里 |
[45:57] | he placed his suicide note on my mantelpiece | 他将遗书放在了我的壁炉架上 |
[46:00] | and stood with a knife to his throat, | 拿刀抵着自己的喉咙站在那 |
[46:04] | he said I betrayed him, | 他说我背叛了他 |
[46:07] | that I would be with him at the end, like it or not. | 不管我愿不愿意 最后都会和他一起下地狱 |
[46:11] | You tried to stop him but he knocked you unconscious? | 你想阻止他 但是他把你打晕了 |
[46:17] | In my cell that night I thought about his letter, | 那晚我在牢里想着他的信 |
[46:20] | how it was knocked to the ground when we fought, | 我们争斗时 信是怎么掉到地上 |
[46:26] | how Tabitha would soon discover it in its hiding place | 塔比莎很快就会发现 |
[46:31] | and how ironic it was that | 真是讽刺 |
[46:33] | the one thing that would absolve me of murder | 唯一能证明我无罪的证据 |
[46:35] | would also condemn me to a life as an outcast. | 却也会让我沦为一个异类 |
[46:40] | So you pleaded guilty? | 所以你才认罪吗 |
[46:43] | I wanted to die. | 我想死 |
[46:47] | But you’re a free man now. | 但你现在自由了 |
[46:50] | I am grateful for what you did for me, Miss Scarlet, | 我很感激你为我做的事 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[46:53] | but I will never be free. | 但我永远自由不了 |
[46:56] | My marriage, | 我的婚姻 |
[46:57] | my life, my reputation, | 我的人生 我的名誉 |
[47:00] | all destroyed. | 全都毁了 |
[47:08] | If I gave you a compliment | 要是我夸你几句 |
[47:09] | do you promise not to make me suffer for it? | 你能保证别嘲讽我吗 |
[47:12] | You have my word. | 我保证 |
[47:14] | That was good work. | 你做得很好 |
[47:16] | Your father would’ve been proud. | 你父亲会为此自豪 |
[47:19] | Thank you, | 谢谢 |
[47:20] | That means a great deal. | 那话对我意义很深 |
[47:27] | Has Mrs. Butler really committed a crime? | 巴特勒太太犯罪了吗 |
[47:29] | She didn’t break into Mr. Ridley’s safe for the money, | 她去撬雷德利先生的保险箱不是为了钱 |
[47:31] | she merely wanted to burn the love letters | 她只是想把情书烧了 |
[47:32] | to stop news of the affair. | 以防他们的恋情泄露 |
[47:34] | It’s still theft. | 那也是偷 |
[47:36] | Not to mention obstruction of justice | 更别说私藏那封信 |
[47:38] | for concealing that letter. | 是妨碍司法罪 |
[47:42] | You knew that Mrs. Butler wasn’t on that train. | 你知道巴特勒太太没上那辆列车 |
[47:46] | So much for protecting my reputation. | 还说什么维护我的名誉 |
[47:48] | There’s no one in this city more respected than you William. | 全城就数你最受人尊敬了 威廉 |
[47:51] | Me on the other hand, | 而我呢 |
[47:52] | I must build my reputation, I needed this more than you did. | 我得树立名声 我比你更需要这案子 |
[47:55] | Try telling that to my superiors. | 这话你倒是去跟我上司说 |
[47:56] | You can handle them. | 你能对付他们 |
[47:58] | You can handle everyone. | 你能对付所有人 |
[48:01] | I cannot handle you. | 我对付不了你 |
[48:09] | Now I must round up my entire team of two | 现在我得召集整个队伍 即两个手下 |
[48:11] | and brief them on my man in the canal. | 在运河上跟上司做简报 |
[48:13] | In the meantime, | 同时 |
[48:15] | please do try to stay out of trouble, Eliza. | 拜托你别闯祸了 伊莱莎 |
[48:18] | For my sake? | 就当为了我行吗 |
[48:19] | Of course, William. | 当然 威廉 |
[48:21] | Of course. | 当然了 |
[48:30] | Rupert! | 鲁伯特 |
[48:33] | – What are you doing here? – So my… | -你怎么来了 -我的… |
[48:36] | My mother’s here to see you and I am to wait for you here. | 我母亲来找你 我就在这里等你 |
[48:39] | I found him loitering outside the door | 我发现他在门外徘徊 |
[48:41] | so I invited him in for a cup of tea. | 就请他进来喝杯茶 |
[48:44] | Can you go and tell Mrs. Parker | 你能去告诉帕克太太 |
[48:45] | that I’ll be with her in a moment? | 我马上就过去找她 |
[48:46] | Of course. | 好的 |
[48:55] | She’s come about the lease. | 她是来谈租契的事 |
[48:57] | Yes. | 对 |
[48:59] | I… | 我 |
[49:00] | I did try to persuade her otherwise but… | 我努力劝她别这样 但是 |
[49:03] | as you know she’s difficult to reason with. | 你也知道 很难跟她讲道理 |
[49:06] | I hadn’t noticed. | 我倒没注意 |
[49:12] | I don’t blame you for wishing to upset her in some way, | 我不怪你想让她不高兴 |
[49:18] | since she herself, she’s, | 毕竟她那个样子 |
[49:20] | well she’s showing you little kindness. | 她对你非常刻薄 |
[49:22] | I… | 我 |
[49:23] | I don’t think there’s anything I could say | 我觉得不管我说什么 |
[49:25] | that would upset your mother. | 你母亲都不会不高兴 |
[49:28] | Is there not? | 是吗 |
[49:30] | It’s just | 就是 |
[49:32] | sometimes Eliza, we may say things in the heat of the moment… | 伊莱莎 有时候我们头脑一热就… |
[49:35] | No. | 没有 |
[49:37] | No, no, Rupert. | 没有 鲁伯特 |
[49:39] | No, there is not. | 真的没有 |
[49:42] | There is nothing I could or would say. | 我不会也不能说什么 |
[49:46] | I’ve given you my word. | 我向你保证 |
[49:49] | Right. | 好的 |
[49:54] | You are a dear friend, | 你是个很好的朋友 |
[49:56] | indeed Eliza. | 真的 伊莱莎 |
[50:00] | Now, | 那么 |
[50:02] | I do not want to keep your mother any longer than is necessary | 为了我们两个好 我就不让你母亲 |
[50:04] | for all our sakes. | 等候多时了 |
[50:06] | Who knows? She might be feeling in a charitable mood | 谁知道呢 说不定她突然大发慈悲 |
[50:08] | and wish to give me more time. | 愿意给我宽限几天 |
[50:10] | Absolutely not! | 绝对不行 |
[50:12] | Full payment of the lease renewal today | 今天把新的租金付了 |
[50:14] | or eviction I’m afraid. | 否则就驱逐你出门 |
[50:17] | As you wish. | 如你所愿 |
[50:24] | I think you will find it all there. | 这些应该够了 |
[50:31] | You paid her, the full amount? | 你付钱了 还是全额吗 |
[50:34] | And here is something for you. | 这是给你的 |
[50:38] | Your back pay and a little extra. | 拖欠的工资 还加了一点 |
[50:44] | I decided to take on more staff. | 我决定再雇几个人 |
[50:47] | A debt collector if you will. | 可以的话 雇个讨债人 |
[50:55] | Your go, Ethel. | 该你了 埃塞尔 |
[51:04] | Good afternoon Miss. | 下午好 小姐 |
[51:07] | May I speak with your father please? | 我能跟你父亲谈谈吗 |
[51:12] | Before you start yelling and thumping the desk, | 在你大吼大叫 砸桌子之前 |
[51:14] | will you at least listen to what I have to say? | 能至少听我把话说完吗 |
[51:15] | No. | 不能 |
[51:16] | Flora Montford, I am treasurer of the committee. | 芙罗拉·蒙特福德 我是委员会的财务主管 |
[51:19] | Alice Morgan. Mrs. | 爱丽丝·摩根太太 |
[51:21] | Being a female is struggle enough | 当一名女性就够艰难了 |
[51:24] | without someone like you ruining her reputation completely. | 更别说 还有你这样的人毁了她的声誉 |
[51:27] | Someone like me? | 我这样的人 |
[51:31] | Things can change, Alice, | 一切都能改变 爱丽丝 |
[51:33] | but only if we make them. | 但我们必须愿意 |
[51:34] | I’m not who you think I am. | 我不是你以为的那个人 |
[51:36] | No one is. | 谁都不是 |
[51:37] | Are you a woman or a detective? | 你是女人还是侦探 |