时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | A lady detective. What reason would you want to be such a thing? | 一位女侦探 你为什么会干这行 |
[00:05] | The cut across the throat takes a left to right formation. | 他喉咙上的割伤是由左到右造成的 |
[00:08] | Inspector, this is most irregular. | 督察 这太不寻常了 |
[00:09] | In all my years I have never allowed a lady into this room! | 我工作这么多年从没让女士进过这屋 |
[00:12] | I decided to take on more staff. | 我决定再雇几个人 |
[00:14] | A debt collector. | 讨债人 |
[00:16] | – Mr Moses isn’t it? – It’s just Moses. | -是摩西先生吧 -我只是摩西 |
[00:19] | I know of your little hobby, | 我知道你的小爱好 |
[00:21] | paying street boys for tip offs of crime scenes. | 付钱让流浪男孩给你犯罪现场的消息 |
[00:24] | You might find your focus sharper, your workload lighter – | 如果你减少降低酗酒 赌博和找女人的频率 |
[00:27] | if you tone down your drinking, gambling and womanising. | 你的头脑会更清醒 工作效率会变高 |
[01:41] | Forgive me, | 抱歉 |
[01:43] | lost track of time. | 我忘了时间 |
[01:47] | I have been working a most complex investigation. | 我一直在调查一桩极其复杂的案件 |
[01:51] | Investigating how much whiskey you can drink in one night? | 调查你一晚上能喝多少威士忌吗 |
[01:54] | Do you speak like this to all your clients? | 你对所有客户都这么嘲讽吗 |
[01:56] | Only the ones who are two hours late. | 只有那些迟到两小时的客户 |
[02:05] | Yes. | 没错 |
[02:09] | I have not yet been to bed | 我还没上床休息过 |
[02:11] | and my mind is not as it should be. | 我的头脑也不太清醒 |
[02:13] | I have been discourteous | 我太失礼了 |
[02:16] | and I apologize. | 我向你道歉 |
[02:19] | You are forgiven. | 我原谅你了 |
[02:21] | Now, what is this urgent business you wish to discuss with me? | 你这么着急想要跟我商量什么事 |
[02:32] | Scotland Yard wishes to | 苏格兰场决定 |
[02:33] | engage your services in an official capacity. | 和你正式合作 |
[02:37] | Fully paid. | 全职全薪 |
[02:38] | Beginning this very day. | 从今天开始 |
[02:41] | I hoped it would be that. | 我正希望是这样 |
[02:42] | The patronage of Scotland Yard | 能与苏格兰场合作 |
[02:44] | will be good for business indeed. Thank you William. | 一定会让生意蒸蒸日上 谢谢 威廉 |
[02:47] | I believe you are the best man for the job. | 我想你是这份工作的最佳人选[男人] |
[02:54] | I imagine that you have heard that joke before. | 我猜你之前肯定听过这个笑话 |
[02:58] | No, no. Not at all. | 不 完全没听过 |
[03:02] | Now, what is it er you wish me to do? | 那你希望我做什么 |
[03:05] | There are various er political groups in London | 目前伦敦有不少政治团体 |
[03:09] | who seek to cause disruption and civil disobedience. | 想引起 引起骚乱和非暴力反抗 |
[03:12] | I wish you to | 我希望你能 |
[03:14] | infiltrate one such group | 渗透进其中一个团体 |
[03:17] | and report back to me on their activities. | 并向我汇报他们的活动 |
[03:23] | They’re er… | 他们是 |
[03:24] | what’s the name… | 叫什么来着 |
[03:29] | There is a erm… | 有一个… |
[03:34] | I had erm… | 就放在这 |
[03:43] | Yes! There we are. | 对 就是这个 |
[03:50] | What, what crime have they committed? | 他们犯了什么罪 |
[03:53] | There’s talk that they are becoming increasingly radical. | 有消息称他们最近变得非常激进 |
[03:58] | But no actual crime? | 但没有实际犯罪 |
[04:00] | Eliza, being hired by Scotland Yard | 伊莱莎 被苏格兰场雇用 |
[04:03] | is a chance for you to cement your reputation. | 是让你声名大噪的好机会 |
[04:07] | Do not pass this up. | 别错过了 |
[04:13] | 女性参政权 妇女选举权 | |
[05:14] | Have I missed something? | 我错过了什么吗 |
[05:17] | Your wedding. | 你的婚礼 |
[05:19] | No it’s erm… | 不 这是 |
[05:20] | its er for a case I’m working. | 这是我在办的一个案子 |
[05:23] | It’s a false identity. | 假身份 |
[05:24] | My name is Mrs Alice Morgan from Richmond. | 我是来自里士满的爱丽丝·摩根太太 |
[05:26] | My husband is a solicitor. | 我丈夫是个律师 |
[05:28] | We have no children as yet, but er two spaniels. | 我们还没孩子 但有两条西班牙猎犬 |
[05:31] | Or perhaps they should be Pekinese? | 或者狮子犬会更好 |
[05:35] | 女性参政权 妇女选举权 | |
[05:37] | What does this say? | 这上面说了什么 |
[05:38] | It says women should have the same rights as men | 说女性应该和男性拥有同样的权利 |
[05:40] | and be allowed to vote. | 并能够投票 |
[05:42] | Have we not got enough to worry about? | 我们要操心的事还不够多吗 |
[05:44] | I’m happy to let the men deal with it. | 我很乐意把这些事交给他们 |
[05:46] | Ivy, without the vote we have no voice in parliament. | 艾薇 没有投票权 我们就无法在议会发声 |
[05:49] | No say in the laws of the land. | 对国家的法律没有发言权 |
[05:51] | Society is unbalanced enough as it is. | 如今的社会已经够不平等的了 |
[05:54] | For example, if you were born a boy, | 比如 如果你是个男孩 |
[05:56] | your parents may have taught you to read. | 你父母就会教你识字 |
[05:58] | But if you support them, why are you spying on them? | 但如果你支持他们 为什么还去监视 |
[06:02] | Well, in truth, I’m conflicted. | 其实 我内心也很矛盾 |
[06:05] | I believe in their struggle. | 我认为他们的抗争是对的 |
[06:07] | Also in the rule of law. | 但我也相信法律 |
[06:09] | I’m consoling myself that if they commit no crime | 我在安慰自己 如果他们没有犯罪 |
[06:12] | Scotland Yard will have no cause for action. | 那苏格兰场就没有理由逮捕他们 |
[06:14] | Oh yes. The police never lock up anyone who’s innocent. | 可不嘛 警察从不会关无辜之人 |
[06:20] | And I don’t like cauliflower. | 我不喜欢花菜 |
[06:21] | And you’ll eat what I cook for you young lady. | 我做什么 你就得吃什么 小姑娘 |
[06:31] | 女性参政权 妇女选举权 卡姆登教堂大堂 玛格丽特·费尔法克斯 女人纳税 女人守法 女人该投票 | |
[06:55] | Come in! We do not bite. | 请进 我们不咬人 |
[06:58] | Oh my apologies. It’s my first time. | 抱歉 这是我第一次来 |
[07:01] | I’m a little nervous. | 有些紧张 |
[07:03] | Flora Mountford. | 我是芙罗拉·蒙特福德 |
[07:04] | I am treasurer of the committee. | 我是委员会的财务主管 |
[07:07] | Alice Morgan. Mrs. | 爱丽丝·摩根太太 |
[07:10] | My husband’s a solicitor from Edinburgh. | 我丈夫是爱丁堡的律师 |
[07:11] | We’ve been married for three years. | 我们结婚三年了 |
[07:12] | We have no children but two Yorkshire terriers. | 还没有孩子 但有两只约克夏㹴 |
[07:24] | Ladies, your attention please. | 女士们 请注意 |
[07:26] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:28] | Would you please give a warm welcome | 请大家热烈欢迎 |
[07:30] | to our chairwoman Margaret Fairfax. | 我们的女主席玛格丽特·费尔法克斯 |
[07:41] | Sisters, | 姐妹们 |
[07:43] | we are the privileged few, | 我们是幸运的一小批人 |
[07:45] | who can take time in our day to attend meetings such as this. | 能够抽出时间参加这样的会议 |
[07:49] | But most women do not have that luxury. | 但大部分女人没有这种优势 |
[07:51] | Overworked, underpaid | 劳累过度 薪酬过低 |
[07:54] | and forced to endure factory conditions | 还要被迫忍受工厂的环境 |
[07:56] | that would make the hardest among us weep. | 能让我们中最坚强的人流泪的糟糕环境 |
[07:59] | For years, groups such as this | 多年来 这样的群体 |
[08:02] | have lobbied and petitioned the men in power | 一直向掌权的男士们进行游说和请愿 |
[08:05] | and what has changed? | 但有什么改变吗 |
[08:08] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[08:09] | Nothing at all. | 什么都没有 |
[08:11] | And our meagre number within this hall | 而这个大厅里寥寥无几的我们 |
[08:14] | is further proof of that. | 进一步证明了这点 |
[08:16] | The time for talk is over. | 对话的时机已经过去 |
[08:18] | The time for action is now. | 现在该行动起来了 |
[08:29] | On Friday an act comes before parliament | 周五议会将会举行投票 |
[08:31] | concerning the property rights of married women. | 关于已婚妇女产权的法案 |
[08:34] | I do not know what they will decide. | 我不知道他们会如何决断 |
[08:36] | But we cannot sit idly by | 但我们不能袖手旁观 |
[08:38] | and let a room full of men discuss our future. | 让一屋子男人决定我们的未来 |
[08:42] | We must go to the doors of parliament. | 我们必须走到议会门前 |
[08:44] | We must confront them and make our voices heard. | 我们必须直面他们 让他们听到我们的声音 |
[08:48] | There are three carriages blocking the road. | 三辆马车堵了马路 |
[08:50] | I need them moved. | 我需要他们移开 |
[08:51] | Constable, we are in a lane with barely any traffic. | 警员 这街道上几乎没什么人流 |
[08:54] | I fail to see the problem. | 我觉得没什么问题 |
[08:55] | I won’t ask you again madam, | 我不会再问一遍 太太 |
[08:57] | – please move them.. – No. | -请移走马车 -不 |
[09:01] | Have you nothing better to do with your time, Constable? | 你没其他事可做了吗 警员 |
[09:03] | Like arresting criminals for instance? | 比如逮捕罪犯 |
[09:06] | One more word of insolence | 再说一句无礼的话 |
[09:07] | and I will have no choice but to take you down to the station. | 我只能把你带去警局了 |
[09:18] | Aren’t you… | 你不是 |
[09:19] | Er PC Honeychurch isn’t it? | 你是霍尼彻奇警员吗 |
[09:21] | You kindly returned my lost dog a few weeks ago. Mrs Morgan. | 你几周前送还了我走丢的狗 我是摩根太太 |
[09:25] | Might we speak outside? | 我们能出去说吗 |
[09:39] | I’m a private detective working for Inspector Wellington. | 我是为惠灵顿督察效力的私家侦探 |
[09:46] | You’re a private detective? | 你是个私家侦探 |
[09:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:50] | – You? – Yes. | -就你 -是的 |
[09:52] | You’re a private detective?! | 你是个私家侦探 |
[09:55] | Is this going to take much longer? Because I have work to do. | 这对话还要继续吗 因为我还有工作要做 |
[09:57] | Oh what work is that exactly? | 具体是什么工作 |
[10:00] | Inspector Wellington has put me on an undercover case. | 惠灵顿督察让我去卧底 |
[10:05] | We’ve met before. In his office. You clearly recognise me. | 我们之前见过 在他的办公室 你肯定认得我 |
[10:08] | I thought you were one of Duke’s tarts. | 我以为你只是公爵的一个马子 |
[10:11] | I beg your pardon?! | 你再说一遍 |
[10:12] | Look, I dunno what you’re playing at | 听着 我不知道你在耍什么花招 |
[10:14] | but I’m going back inside. | 但我要回里面去了 |
[10:16] | You’re interfering with a police operation. | 你正在干预警察行动 |
[10:18] | Mm, course I am. | 我当然是 |
[10:21] | Excuse me… | 不好意思 |
[10:23] | Touching an officer of the law is an offence. | 触碰警官是一种冒犯 |
[10:26] | Mind you, I’m sure you’ve touched a few in your time. | 听着 我肯定你私下碰过不少了 |
[10:41] | Come along. | 跟我走 |
[10:46] | Unbelievable. | 不可思议 |
[10:53] | Before you start yelling and thumping the desk, | 在你开始吼叫 捶桌子之前 |
[10:55] | will you at least listen to what I have to say? | 你能至少听我说几句吗 |
[10:57] | No. | 不 |
[10:59] | Well, I’m gonna say it anyway. | 我一定要说出来 |
[11:01] | That Constable of yours was vulgar and disrespectful. | 你的那位警员粗俗又无礼 |
[11:05] | I asked you to go to a meeting | 我让你去参加一个集会 |
[11:07] | – and tell me what was said. – Which I did. | -并告诉我都说了些什么 -我这么做了 |
[11:09] | I did not ask you to assault an officer of the law | 我没有让你去袭击一位警官 |
[11:11] | and get yourself arrested again! | 让自己又一次被捕 |
[11:13] | You need to reprimand PC Honeychurch. | 你需要去谴责霍尼彻奇警员 |
[11:15] | So you wish me to be chivalrous when it suits | 所以你希望对你有利时我就展现骑士精神 |
[11:18] | but treat you as an equal when it does not? | 不利时我就一视同仁 |
[11:20] | Are you a woman or a detective? | 你是女人还是侦探 |
[11:23] | Why should there be a distinction? | 为什么要区分 |
[11:24] | I would not ask you if you were a man or an inspector. | 我不会问你 你是男人还是督察 |
[11:28] | That is completely different. | 这完全不同 |
[11:30] | Enlighten me as to why? | 能点拨一下我为什么吗 |
[11:32] | Well, there is a level of self-control | 这份工作需要 |
[11:34] | that is vital when doing this job. | 一定程度的自控力 |
[11:37] | Self-control? | 自控力 |
[11:39] | You have rouge on your collar and you reek of whiskey. | 你的领口上有口红 还散发着威士忌的臭味 |
[11:41] | You would do well to remember who you’re talking to. | 你最好记得你在跟谁讲话 |
[11:44] | How can I forget William? You remind me so often. | 我怎么会忘记威廉 你总是提醒我 |
[11:59] | I’ve seen that look many times before. | 我看到过很多次这种表情 |
[12:02] | As the look of having battled with a man or a spoilt child. | 是和男人或宠坏的孩子大战一场后的表情 |
[12:06] | Are they not one and the same? | 他们难道不是同一类吗 |
[12:09] | I presume they are charging you. | 我猜他们要起诉你 |
[12:11] | When is your case to be heard? | 你的案子什么时候开庭 |
[12:14] | I was only given a caution. No charges will be brought. | 我只是被警告了 没有起诉 |
[12:18] | That is surprising, | 真令人惊讶 |
[12:20] | but most impressive. | 但非常厉害 |
[12:21] | What on earth did you say to them? | 你到底跟他们说了什么 |
[12:23] | I really must be going. Excuse me. | 我真的要走了 抱歉 |
[12:25] | We have a committee meeting on Tuesday. | 我们在周二有个委员会会议 |
[12:28] | You must come along. | 你一定要过来 |
[12:29] | That’s very kind of you, but I cannot return to your group. | 你真好 但我不能再回你们那里了 |
[12:32] | You saw the other members. | 你看到其他成员了 |
[12:34] | Middle aged, set in their ways. | 人到中年 一成不变 |
[12:37] | The movement needs fresh blood. | 运动需要新鲜血液 |
[12:40] | A new generation. | 新的一代 |
[12:42] | There are certain aspects of my life that are complicated. | 我生活中有些方面很复杂 |
[12:47] | Is it your husband? | 是你的丈夫吗 |
[12:49] | You’re worried what he will say? | 你担心他会说什么 |
[12:52] | It’s not that. | 不是那样 |
[12:54] | Well there is always a man | 总有个男人 |
[12:55] | somewhere telling us what we can and cannot do. | 告诉我们能做什么 不能做什么 |
[12:59] | I’m right about that, am I not? | 这点我说对了 是吗 |
[13:04] | A few years ago I wanted to go to university, | 几年前 我想去上大学 |
[13:07] | but my father forbade it. | 但我父亲不允许 |
[13:11] | So I begged, borrowed, stole the fees and went anyway. | 所以我乞讨 借钱 偷钱 然后逃走 |
[13:14] | I achieved a first class degree in chemistry. | 我拿到了化学的一级学位 |
[13:17] | Though of course with no official qualifications, | 但当然没有官方资格证明 |
[13:20] | since women are not allowed to graduate. | 因为女性不允许毕业 |
[13:25] | Things can change Alice. | 事情可以改变 爱丽丝 |
[13:27] | But only if we make them. | 但只有我们改变它们 |
[13:30] | I’m not who you think I am. | 我不是你以为的那个人 |
[13:32] | No one is. | 谁都不是 |
[13:34] | All that matters is that we are on the same side. | 重要的是我们在同一阵线 |
[13:39] | Tuesday evening. | 星期二晚上 |
[13:41] | You’ll be most welcome. | 非常欢迎你来 |
[14:01] | Good evening. | 晚上好 |
[14:06] | Mrs Morgan, | 摩根太太 |
[14:08] | I was unaware you were invited. | 我不知道邀请了你 |
[14:10] | Er Margaret asked me to attend. | 玛格丽特让我来参加的 |
[14:13] | Another thing she omitted to tell us. | 她又忘了告诉我们 |
[14:16] | Along with where she actually is. You don’t know I take it? | 还有她究竟在哪 我想你不知道吧 |
[14:20] | No, no I don’t. | 不 我不知道 |
[14:26] | Not again! | 又来了 |
[14:30] | Margaret Fairfax. | 玛格丽特·费尔法克斯 |
[14:34] | Is she here? | 她在这吗 |
[14:35] | No, she is not. May I know who’s asking? | 她不在这 可以问一下你是谁吗 |
[14:38] | My name is Detective Inspector Wellington and… | 我是惠灵顿督察 |
[14:43] | For God’s sake Eliza, what are you doing?! | 天哪 伊莱莎 你在干什么 |
[14:45] | Eliza?! | 伊莱莎 |
[14:53] | He was found on her doorstep. | 他是在她门口被发现的 |
[14:55] | There are witnesses that saw her shoot him and then run off. | 有目击者看见她朝他开枪 然后逃跑了 |
[14:59] | Who is he? | 他是谁 |
[15:02] | All I have at this point is one fact. | 目前我只知道一个事实 |
[15:04] | Margaret Fairfax is wanted for murder. | 玛格丽特·费尔法克斯因谋杀被通缉 |
[15:07] | The question is, where the hell is she? | 问题是她到底去哪了 |
[15:20] | He has no identification at all? | 完全不知道他的身份吗 |
[15:22] | No, no jewellery, nothing in his pockets? | 没有珠宝首饰 口袋里什么也没有吗 |
[15:29] | Please do not ignore me William. You know how I hate it. | 请别当我不存在 威廉 你知道我讨厌这样 |
[15:32] | You were the last person to see Margaret, | 你是最后一个看到玛格丽特的人 |
[15:34] | so what I need from you, all I need from you. | 所以我要你给我的 我只要你给我的 |
[15:38] | Is a detailed witness statement. | 是一份详细的证词 |
[15:40] | A statement that you assured me you would sit quietly and write. | 一份你向我保证了 会安静坐下写出来的证词 |
[15:48] | From his clothes and general appearance | 从他的着装和大体外表判断 |
[15:51] | I would say he’s a professional man. | 我想说他是有正式工作的人 |
[15:53] | His hands are certainly not those of a labourer. | 他的手不像是那些做苦力的人 |
[15:56] | You assured me you would sit in silence and write your statement. | 你向我保证了会安静坐下写你的证词 |
[16:00] | There are stains on the cuffs of his shirt. | 他衬衫的袖口有污渍 |
[16:01] | Some chemical I think. | 可能是某种化学物质 |
[16:06] | Perhaps he was a pharmacist? | 他可能是个药剂师 |
[16:08] | This was a mistake. I should never have brought you here. | 我的错 我就不该带你进来 |
[16:11] | I was shaken and upset by this violent crime. | 看到这种暴力犯罪我很震惊和不安 |
[16:14] | I feel safer in your presence. | 有你在我感觉安全多了 |
[16:16] | You were trying to shoehorn yourself into my investigation | 你想强制加入我的调查 |
[16:19] | and it won’t work. | 这招没用 |
[16:24] | Inspector, | 督察 |
[16:26] | I thought I made it clear that it was inappropriate for ladies, | 我以为我说得很清楚了 女士 |
[16:29] | even those who purport to be private detectives, | 即使是那些声称自己是私家侦探的人 |
[16:31] | to be on these premises. | 也不能来这里 |
[16:32] | Oh for goodness sake! | 天哪 |
[16:33] | I have been here before and lived to tell the tale. | 我之前来过这 不也是活得好好的 |
[16:36] | This is no place for a lady. | 这里不是女人待的地方 |
[16:38] | Both of you, quiet, I’m trying to concentrate. | 你俩别吵了 我要集中精神 |
[16:41] | If she’s to stay then you need to sign a consent form. | 如果她要待在这 那你要签一份同意书 |
[16:43] | Get out! | 出去 |
[16:47] | This is not fitting… | 这不合时宜 |
[16:49] | Not fitting at all. | 完全不合时宜 |
[16:55] | I meant you too. | 我是说你也出去 |
[16:57] | William, I have met Margaret Fairfax, you have not. | 威廉 我见过玛格丽特·费尔法克斯 你没有 |
[17:00] | I know I can be of some help in this investigation. | 我知道我可以在此次调查中提供帮助 |
[17:03] | Eliza… | 伊莱莎 |
[17:04] | You hired me in an official capacity. | 你以公职雇佣了我 |
[17:05] | You must believe in my skills. | 你必须相信我的能力 |
[17:07] | Why not put them to use? | 为何不好好利用呢 |
[17:08] | I hired you because you’re a woman | 我雇你因为你是个女人 |
[17:09] | and I could not go to that group myself. | 我自己接近不了那个团体 |
[17:12] | And to be frank there was nothing official about it. | 老实说 找你跟公职无关 |
[17:14] | I assumed you needed the work. | 我想你需要工作 |
[17:16] | What? | 什么 |
[17:17] | It was the act of a friend. I was trying to help. | 我是出于朋友的道义 我在帮你 |
[17:20] | Oh well, in that case, | 这样的话 |
[17:21] | you can forget about any help from me in the future. | 以后就别指望我给你提供任何帮助 |
[17:23] | Thank the lord! | 感谢上帝 |
[17:29] | You don’t have the faintest idea | 你根本不知道 |
[17:30] | who this man is or why he is dead, | 这人是谁 为何而死 |
[17:32] | and yet you cast aside my help so easily. | 但你却如此轻易地置我的帮助于不顾 |
[17:34] | There’s no doubt in my mind | 我很确信 |
[17:36] | that this was Margaret Fairfax’s lover. | 此人就是玛格丽特·费尔法克斯的情人 |
[17:39] | It was a crime of passion. | 这是激情犯罪 |
[17:41] | Course you would think that, that’s the easiest option. | 因为你觉得这是最简单的选项 |
[17:46] | Meaning what exactly? | 到底是什么意思 |
[17:49] | Well, that you were happy to take the path of least resistance. | 意思是你乐于选择最小阻力的道路 |
[17:51] | That you increasingly rest on your laurels. | 你越来越依赖于你的光辉历史 |
[17:53] | That is why you resent my opinions | 所以你对我的意见嗤之以鼻 |
[17:55] | because they stir you from a self-imposed slumber. | 因为它们打破了你的自我催眠 |
[17:59] | Mr Potts! | 波茨先生 |
[18:03] | Yes? | 什么事 |
[18:04] | 市停尸房 公众止步 | |
[18:29] | Good day Miss Scarlet! | 斯嘉丽小姐 安好 |
[18:32] | Herr Hildegard. | 希尔德加德先生 |
[18:33] | Do you have a few moments? | 可以耽误你一会吗 |
[18:35] | When you say a few… | 你说的一会 |
[18:36] | I’ve just read this weeks Illustrated Police News. | 我刚看了本周的《警察新闻画刊》 |
[18:41] | There is one particular case that has perplexed me so. | 有一个特别的案子让我很困惑 |
[18:45] | Forgive me, I’m rather busy at the moment. | 请见谅 我现在很忙 |
[18:47] | But er perhaps another time. | 也许改天吧 |
[18:49] | A parrot was found poisoned at a murder scene. | 一只鹦鹉在犯罪现场发现被毒死了 |
[18:53] | Why would that be? | 为什么会这样 |
[18:55] | I have not read the latest edition, | 我还没看最新的一版 |
[18:56] | but when I do we shall most definitely discuss it. | 但等我看了我们绝对可以讨论 |
[18:59] | I do have one theory… | 我的确有个想法 |
[19:00] | As I said, Herr Hildegard, | 如我所说 希尔德加德先生 |
[19:02] | I’m rather busy, but er how about we talk again on Wednesday? | 我很忙 我们星期三再聊你看怎么样 |
[19:06] | It is Wednesday Miss Scarlet. | 今天是星期三 斯嘉丽小姐 |
[19:09] | Marvellous, see you then! | 太好了 待会见 |
[19:26] | Save your breath. I know what you’re going to say. | 省点力气 我知道你要说什么 |
[19:29] | What is that exactly? | 到底怎么了 |
[19:30] | That I was rude to Herr Hildegard. | 我刚对希尔德加德先生很无礼 |
[19:33] | I’ll apologise. He’ll understand. | 我会道歉的 他会理解 |
[19:35] | Yes, he will. | 他会的 |
[19:36] | But William on the other hand may not. | 但话说回来 威廉可能不会 |
[19:39] | You need him as an ally Lizzy. | 你需要他的合作 丽兹 |
[19:41] | Have I not shown myself capable? | 我难道没有展现自己的能力吗 |
[19:43] | Why must I continually have to prove myself to him? | 为什么我必须一直向他证明自己 |
[19:45] | Oh, why must you, a female detective, | 为什么你 一位女侦探 |
[19:49] | have to prove yourself? That is your question? | 必须要证明自己 这是你的问题 |
[19:52] | Uh, it’s not fair! | 这不公平 |
[19:54] | Spoken like a woman. | 你这话真像个女人说的 |
[19:57] | Do not be cross! It is you putting these words in my mouth. | 别生气 是你逼我这么说的 |
[20:01] | When a man loses his temper | 当一个男人发脾气时 |
[20:03] | he is seen as strong and forthright. | 别人会认为他强大且直率 |
[20:05] | But a woman, no, | 但一个女人 |
[20:07] | she is seen as emotional. Hysterical. | 别人会认为她情绪化 歇斯底里 |
[20:10] | Incapable of rational thought. | 无法进行理性思考 |
[20:12] | Now give men reason, give them logic. | 要跟男人讲道理 摆逻辑 |
[20:15] | Give them cold, hard facts. | 给他们冰冷严峻的事实 |
[20:19] | That will truly confuse them. | 这才能真正让他们困惑 |
[20:35] | Off you go now sir. | 请慢走 先生 |
[20:37] | And watch your wallet on your way home. | 回家的路上看好你的钱包 |
[20:40] | These streets are full of thieves. | 这一带有很多小偷 |
[20:51] | I believe the phrase is daylight robbery. | 我想有句老话叫 光天化日下抢劫 |
[20:56] | You going to report me? | 你要告发我吗 |
[20:57] | If you don’t help me. | 如果你不帮我的话 |
[20:59] | That’s blackmail. | 这是勒索 |
[21:01] | That’s business. | 这是交易 |
[21:06] | What you want? | 你想要什么 |
[21:08] | I’m working a murder case for Scotland Yard | 我在为苏格兰场查一起谋杀案 |
[21:10] | and I need your help. | 我需要你的帮助 |
[21:12] | If you’re working for Scotland Yard, | 如果你为苏格兰场工作 |
[21:15] | why you don’t ask them to help you? | 为什么不让他们帮你 |
[21:19] | Let’s just say it’s not that straightforward. | 就当我们的合作没那么简单明了吧 |
[21:23] | Never is with you lady. | 有你就永远不会 女士 |
[21:37] | Jesus! | 老天 |
[21:40] | I do not come to anger you William. | 我不是来惹你生气的 威廉 |
[21:42] | Merely to show you something. | 只是给你看个东西 |
[21:50] | For the past two years, | 过去的两年里 |
[21:52] | Margaret has been pawning her possessions to make ends meet. | 玛格丽特一直在典当她的财产来勉强维生 |
[21:55] | I spent the night searching her house, | 我晚上搜查了她的房子 |
[21:57] | which was sparse to say the least. | 可以说是家徒四壁 |
[21:59] | As did I. | 我也搜了 |
[22:02] | So erm, so I tracked down the local pawn brokers. | 所以我追踪了当地的典当行 |
[22:06] | In the middle of the night? | 半夜吗 |
[22:07] | Well, with the help of an associate of mine. | 我有一位伙伴的帮助 |
[22:09] | He knows where they drink. | 他知道他们在哪喝酒 |
[22:11] | I’ve been able to piece together a picture of her life | 根据他们从她那买的东西 |
[22:13] | from the possessions they bought from her. | 我能拼凑出她生活的图景 |
[22:15] | Fairfax is not her real name. | 费尔法克斯不是她的真名 |
[22:18] | She was born Margaret Davidson-Merritt. | 她的原名是玛格丽特·戴维森-梅里特 |
[22:21] | Her parents are dead, but she has a brother. | 她父母双亡 但她有个哥哥 |
[22:24] | Seems they had some sort of falling out. | 他们之间似乎有争执 |
[22:26] | I have his name, address and | 我拿到了他的名字 地址 |
[22:28] | the gentleman’s club he belongs to, Brownlee. | 还有他所属的绅士俱乐部 布朗利 |
[22:31] | He takes lunch there most days. | 他多数时候在那吃午饭 |
[22:35] | I know you’d have got this information yourself. | 我知道你自己也能获得这些信息 |
[22:37] | Yes, I would. | 我会的 |
[22:38] | – Perhaps even today. – Almost certainly. | -也许就是今天 -肯定是 |
[22:41] | But I have it now. | 但我现在拿到了 |
[22:45] | And trust me when I say this is not some kind of one-upmanship. | 相信我 这不是什么取巧占上风的伎俩 |
[22:48] | I did this to show you how much I want your respect. | 我这么做是让你知道 我非常想得到你的尊重 |
[23:02] | Frank! | 弗兰克 |
[23:05] | Yes chief? | 怎么了 长官 |
[23:07] | Get a message to the Brownlee Club. | 给布朗利俱乐部带个消息 |
[23:09] | See if a Terence Davidson-Merritt is there. | 看看特伦斯·戴维森-梅里特在不在那 |
[23:19] | Terence Davidson-Merritt’s a criminal barrister. | 特伦斯·戴维森-梅里特是位刑事律师 |
[23:21] | We’ll have to have our wits about us when we speak to him. | 和他谈话时 我们需要动点脑筋 |
[23:24] | Eliza, I don’t want to go over old ground, | 伊莱莎 我不想重蹈旧辙 |
[23:26] | but he’s at a gentleman’s club, you won’t be allowed in. | 但他在绅士俱乐部 你不能进去 |
[23:29] | Surely there are no doors closed when one’s accompanied | 有苏格兰场最杰出的督察陪着 |
[23:31] | by the finest inspector at Scotland Yard? | 什么地方进不去呢 |
[23:34] | What if I do as you say and force them to let you in? | 如果我按照你说的做 逼他们放你进去 |
[23:37] | There’ll be so much commotion and objection | 会引起很大的骚乱和反对 |
[23:39] | that the place will fall into chaos. | 那里会陷入混乱 |
[23:41] | The first rule of questioning is to maintain calm. | 审讯的第一条规则就是保持冷静 |
[23:44] | Now, I need Davidson-Merritt compliant | 现在我需要戴维森-梅里特的配合 |
[23:46] | and I cannot do that if there’s a circus about the place. | 在乱成马戏团的地方 我根本做不到 |
[23:51] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[23:53] | Can I have that in writing? | 能把那句写下来给我吗 |
[23:56] | I’ll call on you later to update you on my progress. | 我会晚点来找你 告诉你进度的 |
[24:00] | Oh and er… well done. | 还有 做得不错 |
[24:41] | Mr Davidson-Merritt. | 戴维森-梅里特先生 |
[24:45] | Detective Inspector Wellington. | 我是惠灵顿督察 |
[24:47] | May I have a moment of your time sir? | 我能占用你一点时间吗 先生 |
[24:49] | Well that depends on the reason. | 那取决于你的来由 |
[24:51] | I wish to discuss your sister, Margaret. | 我想谈谈你的妹妹 玛格丽特 |
[24:55] | Then the answer is no, good day. | 那不行 再见 |
[24:58] | It is, I’m afraid, most urgent. | 恐怕这事非常紧急 |
[25:03] | I have not seen Margaret for years. | 我几年没见过玛格丽特了 |
[25:05] | I know nothing of her whereabouts | 我不知道她的下落 |
[25:07] | and I’ve no inclination to | 我也无意 |
[25:09] | discuss anything remotely concerned with her. | 谈论任何关于她的事 |
[25:11] | Good day. | 再见 |
[25:29] | – I told you… – I know what you told me sir. | -我跟你说过 -我知道你说了什么 先生 |
[25:32] | Now, let me tell you something. | 让我跟你说件事 |
[25:34] | We can either do this here, | 我们可以在这里谈 |
[25:36] | or if you would prefer | 或者如果你喜欢 |
[25:37] | I can call in the two uniformed police officers | 我可以叫在外面待命的 |
[25:40] | that I have asked to wait outside. | 两位穿制服的警察进来 |
[25:42] | They will take you from this place | 他们会带你离开这个地方 |
[25:44] | kicking and screaming if necessary, | 如果必要的话 还会又踢又吼 |
[25:46] | down to Scotland Yard, where we can discuss the matter there. | 带你到苏格兰场 我们可以在那里谈事儿 |
[25:53] | Brandy? | 喝白兰地吗 |
[25:54] | That would be most welcome. | 再好不过了 |
[26:01] | Margaret brought shame on our family for years. | 多年来 玛格丽特一直让我们家蒙羞 |
[26:05] | She gave too much time and too much money, | 她花了太多时间和金钱 |
[26:07] | our money, to that damn group. | 我们的钱 在那个该死的小组上 |
[26:11] | The Suffrage Society? | 参政权协会 |
[26:12] | It’s not just suffrage she campaigned for. | 她的运动对象不仅是参政权 |
[26:15] | She funded legal actions against this club. | 她资助合法行动抵制这家俱乐部 |
[26:17] | Trying to get women to join. | 想要让女性也能加入 |
[26:19] | Hundreds, if not thousands of pounds wasted. | 就算没几千 也耗费了几百镑 |
[26:22] | Drove my father into an early grave, I am sure. | 都怪她 父亲才早早过世 |
[26:26] | That is when I cut off her allowance. | 就是那时我断了她的零用钱 |
[26:30] | You know anything of her personal life? | 对于她的私生活 你了解多少 |
[26:33] | Did she have a lover? | 她有情人吗 |
[26:34] | Huh, God knows. Well it’s possible I suppose, | 谁知道 只能说有可能 |
[26:37] | though she spent most of her time campaigning. | 不过她把大部分时间花在运动上 |
[26:41] | My sister was a fanatic. | 我妹妹是个极端分子 |
[26:43] | When she was 17, | 她17岁的时候 |
[26:45] | she told my father she was on her way here. To the club. | 她告诉我父亲她要过来 来俱乐部 |
[26:48] | She declared she would force her way in | 她说她会强行闯进来 |
[26:51] | and make her fury known about the exclusion of women. | 让整个俱乐部都知道 排斥女性令她有多愤怒 |
[26:55] | My father forbade it but she was utterly determined. | 我父亲禁止了 但是她态度很坚决 |
[26:58] | When he tried to stop her, she went for him. | 他想阻止她的时候 她朝他扑了过去 |
[27:01] | Kicking, biting, scratching. | 踢他 咬他 抓他 |
[27:03] | Took three of us to subdue her. | 最后用了三个人才制服了她 |
[27:05] | The woman is unhinged. | 那女人就是个疯子 |
[27:08] | Capable of anything. | 什么都干得出来 |
[27:11] | Even murder? | 甚至是谋杀吗 |
[27:30] | Good afternoon, Mrs Morgan. | 下午好 摩根太太 |
[27:45] | A spy working for Scotland Yard. | 一个为苏格兰场做事的间谍 |
[27:48] | I’m reluctantly impressed. | 虽然不情愿 还是让我很佩服 |
[27:51] | Inspector Wellington is on his way here right now. | 惠灵顿督察正在来的路上 |
[27:54] | No, he’s not. | 他不会来 |
[27:56] | He’s drinking brandy with my brother. | 他在和我哥哥喝白兰地 |
[27:59] | Then coming here straight after. | 然后就直接过来 |
[28:01] | We’re working this case together. | 我们正在合办这个案子 |
[28:03] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[28:05] | That’s why he sent you off like a good little girl? | 所以他才打发走你了吗 像个乖乖女一样 |
[28:09] | Women are not allowed in the Brownlee Club. | 女人进不了布朗利俱乐部 |
[28:12] | You honestly believe a detective inspector | 你真的以为一个督察 |
[28:14] | couldn’t gain you access if he wished? | 还不能让你有权进去吗 |
[28:22] | That dead man outside your house. | 你家外面那个死者 |
[28:25] | Who was he? | 他是谁 |
[28:27] | Just another in a long line of men | 不过是另一个以为 |
[28:28] | who’ve tried to beat me into submission. | 能通过屈打使我顺从的男人 |
[28:35] | Well you cannot run forever. | 你没法逃一辈子 |
[28:37] | You must give yourself up. | 你得去自首 |
[28:39] | I intend to. | 我会去的 |
[28:42] | But not yet. | 但不是现在 |
[28:44] | That is why I’ve come to you. | 所以我才来找你 |
[28:52] | I truly commend what you have achieved. | 我非常欣赏你的成就 |
[28:55] | You must know you can only get so far. | 你得知道 你也只能到此为止了 |
[28:59] | You’ll never get the respect you deserve | 你永远得不到应有的尊敬 |
[29:01] | until all women have a voice. | 除非全体女性可以发声 |
[29:03] | I will hang for killing that bully. | 杀一个恶棍 我得上绞刑架 |
[29:06] | I accept that. | 这我接受 |
[29:08] | But let my arrest further the cause. | 但是让我的被捕推动大业 |
[29:11] | Let its news infiltrate every gentleman’s club | 让这件事渗入每个绅士俱乐部 |
[29:14] | where they sup their brandy and plan their laws | 那些他们啜着白兰地 规划着法案 |
[29:17] | to keep us in bondage. | 好继续奴役我们的地方 |
[29:20] | The newspaper will lap up my story | 报纸会全盘报道我的故事 |
[29:23] | and no man in this country | 整个国家的男人 |
[29:24] | will have any choice but to read the words | 都将毫无选择地读完 |
[29:27] | that I will cry out from Parliament Square. | 我在国会广场呐喊的每一个字 |
[29:30] | You, you still mean to attend the protest? | 你还是要去参加抗议 |
[29:33] | Margaret, none of your group will go. Not now. | 玛格丽特 你的协会没人会去 现在不会了 |
[29:35] | But I will. | 但我会 |
[29:38] | When the men of Westminster Palace vote the act down, | 威斯敏斯特宫的男人否决那法案时 |
[29:41] | I will be there | 我会在场 |
[29:43] | and as they file out, heading to their clubs, | 等他们离开 涌向他们的俱乐部 |
[29:46] | brothels and gambling dens, | 妓院 还有赌场 |
[29:47] | they will hear our rallying cry. | 他们会听见我们的战斗口号 |
[29:51] | Votes for women. | 妇女选举权 |
[29:55] | Come with me, Eliza. | 跟我一起去吧 伊莱莎 |
[29:56] | Be part of history. | 成为历史的一部分 |
[30:01] | I cannot. I’m sorry. | 我不能去 抱歉 |
[30:11] | Then give me one last chance | 那就请给我最后一次机会 |
[30:14] | to make a difference before I am arrested. | 让我在被捕之前有所作为 |
[30:18] | Tell no one of my plan. | 别把我的计划告诉任何人 |
[30:28] | Well, there’s certainly no love lost | 戴维森-梅里特和玛格丽特之间 |
[30:29] | between… Davidson-Merritt and Margaret | 确实水火不容 |
[30:31] | and the feeling is entirely mutual. | 而且这仇恨完全是相互的 |
[30:33] | That’s why she changed her name to Fairfax. | 所以她才改姓费尔法克斯 |
[30:38] | Eliza, am I boring you? | 伊莱莎 我让你厌烦了吗 |
[30:41] | Sorry, what? | 抱歉 什么 |
[30:43] | I’m only here because Davidson-Merritt was your lead. | 我来仅仅因为戴维森-梅里特是你的线索 |
[30:45] | I thought you’d be more grateful. | 我以为你会更感激 |
[30:47] | Grateful? | 感激 |
[30:48] | What’s the matter with you this morning? | 你今天早上怎么回事 |
[30:51] | Nothing. | 没怎么 |
[30:52] | Which in your case always means something. | 这在你身上这就意味着有什么事 |
[30:54] | Just… Go on. | 你继续说吧 |
[30:57] | What else did you find out? | 你还发现了什么 |
[30:59] | That Margaret’s aggression was evident from an early age. | 从很早以前 玛格丽特的攻击性就很明显 |
[31:02] | Generations of men in her family belonged to the Brownlee Club | 他们家的男性几代都是布朗利俱乐部成员 |
[31:05] | and she railed against the fact that women weren’t allowed in. | 而她反对女性不能进入的规定 |
[31:07] | Her brother seems to think that she’s unhinged. | 她哥哥似乎认为她疯了 |
[31:11] | Being a passionate advocate for women’s rights | 大力倡导妇女权利 |
[31:13] | does not make one unhinged. | 不代表她就疯了 |
[31:15] | We still have no identification on our dead man, | 我们还是不知道死者的身份 |
[31:17] | but all the signs say it was a crime of passion. | 但所有证据都表明这是激情杀人 |
[31:19] | I am certain that he was her lover. | 我很确定他是她的情人 |
[31:24] | Any clues as to whether the man was aggressive in nature? | 有线索表明那男人生性好斗吗 |
[31:27] | What clues would we have? We know nothing of him. | 我们有什么线索 我们对他一无所知 |
[31:32] | Eliza, is there something that you’re not telling me? | 伊莱莎 你是不是有事没告诉我 |
[31:35] | No. | 没有 |
[31:37] | Of course not. | 当然没有 |
[31:39] | Good. | 那就好 |
[31:40] | Then I need your help interviewing the ladies of the committee. | 我需要你帮忙询问协会里那些太太 |
[31:43] | They’ll be more open to a woman. | 她们更愿意对女性开口 |
[31:45] | Uh, William, I’m not sure | 威廉 我觉得 |
[31:47] | I wish to continue working on this case. | 我还是不要再跟这个案子了 |
[31:49] | There are, there are complications. | 情况 情况有点复杂 |
[31:54] | Well, I cannot force you to continue. | 好吧 我也不能强迫你继续 |
[31:58] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[31:59] | But you will not get your fee. | 但是你拿不到报酬 |
[32:01] | What? | 什么 |
[32:02] | I hired you to do a job and you have not completed it. | 我花钱雇你工作 但你没有完成 |
[32:05] | I went to the meeting as requested. | 我按你要求去参加集会了 |
[32:08] | Inspector Wellington | 惠灵顿督察 |
[32:09] | there’s a messenger here for you. | 有位信使找你 |
[32:15] | Do your job Eliza. | 完成你的工作 伊莱莎 |
[32:16] | Question those women and you’ll get your fee. | 询问那些女人们 然后你就能拿到报酬 |
[32:24] | There is a man at the kitchen door, | 门口站着一个男人 |
[32:26] | but he’s not a messenger. | 但他不是信使 |
[32:28] | Then why say he was? | 那为什么说他是 |
[32:31] | Who is it? | 到底是谁 |
[32:32] | He wishes to see Miss Scarlet. | 他想见斯嘉丽小姐 |
[32:37] | He’s the kind of man this house | 这间屋子以前从来没有 |
[32:38] | has never seen the likes of before. | 出现过他这样的男人 |
[32:42] | But I thought it better if he saw you instead. | 我觉得让他见你比较好 |
[33:01] | I need to see Miss Scarlet. | 我来见斯嘉丽小姐 |
[33:04] | What for? | 为什么 |
[33:05] | She owe me money. | 她欠我钱 |
[33:07] | What for? | 什么钱 |
[33:09] | Some services I did for her. | 我为她办了点事 |
[33:12] | Those being? | 什么事 |
[33:16] | I’d like to speak to her directly. | 我想直接跟她谈谈 |
[33:19] | She’s busy. | 她现在很忙 |
[33:21] | Then I will come back when she is less busy. | 那我等她不忙了再来 |
[33:25] | No, you will not. | 不 你不用再来了 |
[33:31] | You are the Inspector. | 你就是那个督察 |
[33:34] | She’s mentioned you. | 她提起过你 |
[33:36] | Really? | 是吗 |
[33:39] | Well, she’s never mentioned you. | 可她从来没有说起过你 |
[33:45] | How much does she owe you? | 她欠你多少钱 |
[33:52] | This is what she owes you. | 这个够还她欠你的钱了 |
[33:54] | And this is to never contact her again. | 这个也可以让你别再联系她 |
[34:00] | I don’t think she would like you deciding | 我不认为她会乐意有人帮她决定 |
[34:02] | who she sees and who she does not. | 她能和哪些人见面 |
[34:04] | I do not care what you think. | 你怎么想我不在意 |
[34:07] | Being a female detective is struggle enough | 当女侦探已经够难了 |
[34:10] | without someone like you | 更别说 还有你这样的人 |
[34:11] | ruining her reputation completely. | 会完全毁了她的声誉 |
[34:13] | Someone like me? | 我这样的人 |
[34:15] | Theft, extortion, fraud. | 偷鸡摸狗 敲诈勒索 招摇撞骗 |
[34:19] | Your criminal record is impressively varied. | 你的犯罪记录花样百出得让人大开眼界 |
[34:23] | Well, | 好吧 |
[34:26] | I am flattered that you have taken such an interest in me. | 你对我这么感兴趣我深感荣幸 |
[34:30] | I would recommend that you leave, now. | 我建议你现在马上离开 |
[34:33] | And do not come back. | 别再回来了 |
[35:10] | I wish it to be documented that… …Myself and my ladies | 我希望你能记录一下 我和其他女士们 |
[35:13] | resent being pulled into this ghastly situation. | 都因为被牵扯进这件烦心事而生气 |
[35:18] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[35:20] | But if we could just get back to the question | 但我希望继续聊聊 |
[35:22] | of Margaret’s whereabouts. | 玛格丽特行踪的问题 |
[35:23] | I have not seen nor heard from Margaret. | 我没见过她 她也没有联系我 |
[35:26] | But her behaviour is quite unacceptable. | 但是她的行为让人不敢苟同 |
[35:29] | We believe in change through rule of law, | 我们坚信法律会带来改变 |
[35:32] | not through anarchy or violence. | 这些改变不应该通过反政府和暴力实现 |
[35:34] | – Of course. – Of course? | -当然 -你说当然 |
[35:36] | So you are in agreement? | 所以你也同意吗 |
[35:39] | Yet your conduct appears to the contrary, | 但你的行为似乎完全相反 |
[35:42] | Mrs Morgan. | 摩根太太 |
[35:44] | Or is that Miss Scarlet? | 还是应该叫斯嘉丽小姐 |
[35:45] | It’s all very confusing and underhand. | 全都很让人费解 还很狡猾 |
[35:51] | Did Margaret er ever mention any other property she might own. | 玛格丽特曾提过她有别的房产吗 |
[35:56] | No, she did not. | 不 她没提过 |
[35:58] | – And did she ever mention… – And even if she had, | -还有她有没有说过 -即使她真的有 |
[36:00] | I would only inform a police officer. | 我也只会通知警察 |
[36:03] | A real police officer. | 真正的警察 |
[36:09] | Do you know of any romantic relationship | 你知道玛格丽特 |
[36:11] | that Margaret might have been engaged in? | 是否有什么亲密关系 |
[36:13] | I refer you to my previous statement. | 请你参考我之前的回答 |
[36:17] | Flora… | 芙罗拉 |
[36:18] | Mrs Mountford to you. | 请你叫我蒙特福德太太 |
[36:22] | Do you have a problem with your sinuses, PC Honeychurch? | 你的鼻子有问题吗 霍尼彻奇警员 |
[36:25] | If so I could ask Inspector Wellington | 如果是的话 我可以告诉惠灵顿督察 |
[36:26] | to investigate an alternative situation for you. | 给你物色一个新环境 |
[36:29] | I hear the air in Cornwall is a great deal cleaner | 我听说康沃尔的空气 |
[36:31] | than this great city of ours. | 比我们这座城市好很多 |
[36:36] | And if I feel your responses are hindering this investigation, | 还有如果我觉得你的回答阻碍了调查 |
[36:38] | I will have no hesitation | 我会毫不犹疑 |
[36:39] | but to request your detainment overnight, in one of the cells. | 延长你的审讯时间 让你在牢里过夜 |
[36:42] | You wish to dragoon me? | 你威胁我 |
[36:44] | If I knew what that meant I might be able to answer. | 如果我知道那个词的意思 那我就能回答你了 |
[36:47] | I assume it’s an old fashioned term used for intimidate. | 我猜这是个羞辱别人的过时词汇 |
[36:54] | No one knew where she might be. | 没人知道她在哪里 |
[36:55] | But there was a disagreement between Margaret and Flora Mountford. | 但玛格丽特和芙罗拉·蒙特福德意见不合 |
[36:59] | They clashed over which charity | 她们曾因为哪些慈善机构 |
[37:01] | should benefit from the groups donations. | 该从捐助中赚取利益而争吵 |
[37:03] | I’ve been making enquiries into missing persons, | 我四处询问了失踪人口情况 |
[37:05] | but as yet we still have nothing on our victim. | 但我们依然对被害人一无所知 |
[37:11] | William, I have fulfilled my side of the bargain. | 威廉 我已经完成了我承诺的事情 |
[37:13] | I would like to be paid and taken off this case now. | 我想要拿走报酬然后离开这个案子 |
[37:16] | Intelligent militants. | 聪明的好战分子 |
[37:17] | Dangerous combination indeed. | 必然伴随着危险 |
[37:20] | A militant? I would argue pragmatist. | 好战分子 我倒觉得是务实主义者 |
[37:22] | 15 years those women have petitioned parliament | 这些女人向议会情愿了15年 |
[37:25] | and with no effect. | 可是根本没有用 |
[37:26] | Eliza, do not be duped into thinking | 伊莱莎 别被哄骗了 |
[37:28] | that this woman has anything but her own interests at heart. | 以为这女人在考虑除自己以外的所谓大业 |
[37:31] | She comes from a wealthy family. | 她来自富有的家庭 |
[37:32] | That tells me that they didn’t give her either enough attention | 这意味着 他们要么就是不够重视她 |
[37:35] | – or enough discipline. – How do you know | -或没管教好她 -你怎么知道 |
[37:37] | that she was not at the mercy | 她不是处于 |
[37:38] | of constant discipline from the men in her life? | 身边那些男人的长期控制之下 |
[37:40] | Because I’ve seen spoilt wealthy women a great deal in my job. | 因为这份工作让我见惯了骄纵的富家女 |
[37:43] | All of whom would have benefitted | 她们全都能得益 |
[37:44] | from a firmer hand from their father. | 只要其父亲能更严格的管教 |
[37:46] | My father never raised his hand to me. | 我父亲从未打过我 |
[37:49] | Point proved I think. | 正好佐证了我的观点 |
[37:52] | Anyway, back to Margaret. | 无论如何 说回玛格丽特 |
[37:56] | According to her brother she was always somewhat erratic. | 据她哥哥所言 她总是反复无常 |
[38:00] | Apparently she was expelled from Chancery College. | 听说她被钱思睿学院开除了 |
[38:05] | The charities I mentioned that she and Flora clashed over. | 之前我提到她和芙罗拉意见相左的慈善机构 |
[38:08] | One of them was the women’s faculty of that same university. | 其中一个是那所大学的女性职员 |
[38:11] | Margaret insisted they give them money. | 玛格丽特坚持要给她们钱 |
[38:13] | Why give money to a place that expelled you? | 为什么要给开除自己的大学捐款 |
[38:24] | Yes, I remember Margaret. | 对 我记得玛格丽特 |
[38:26] | More of a cautionary tale than a student. | 相比起学生 她更像是个教训故事 |
[38:29] | How so? | 怎么说 |
[38:31] | Well, not wishing to offend present company. | 我不想冒犯这位女士 |
[38:35] | She proved a point that some of us believe about the fairer sex. | 她证明了我们其中一些人对女性的观点 |
[38:39] | That their presence in an institution such as ours | 即在我们这种学府里 女性的存在 |
[38:42] | brings more trouble than it is worth. | 带来的麻烦比价值更多 |
[38:46] | What happened? | 发生什么了 |
[38:49] | She was asked to leave | 她大一上了一半 |
[38:51] | mid way through her first year. | 就被要求退学 |
[38:53] | Immoral conduct I believe we called it. | 我想应该是叫不道德行为 |
[38:57] | Might you be more specific sir? | 您能说得具体点吗 先生 |
[39:00] | With her professor. | 和她的教授 |
[39:02] | I’m sure you can fill in the gaps. | 其他的你们应该能想到了 |
[39:05] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[39:07] | And who was this professor? | 那着名教授是谁 |
[39:09] | Dr Gill. | 吉尔博士 |
[39:10] | He’s the head of our chemistry faculty. | 他是我们的化学系主任 |
[39:13] | So Margaret was dismissed | 玛格丽特被退学了 |
[39:14] | but the tutor involve carried on his employment? | 但与她有染的教授仍继续授课 |
[39:18] | Do you have any other questions? | 你们还有其他问题吗 |
[39:20] | Yes. Can we see Dr Gill? | 有 我们能见吉尔博士吗 |
[39:24] | Top row, far right. | 第一排 最右侧 |
[39:27] | No, I mean speak with him. | 不 我是说和他本人谈谈 |
[39:30] | He has not been in attendance for a few days. | 他已经好几天没来了 |
[39:34] | William. | 威廉 |
[39:36] | It’s him. | 是他 |
[39:39] | It’s our dead man. | 我们的死者 |
[39:51] | – This way. – Thank you. | -这边走 -谢谢 |
[39:58] | What exactly are we looking for. | 我们究竟在找什么 |
[40:01] | We’ll know it when we see it. | 等找到就知道了 |
[40:09] | This is gonna take some time! | 这得花点时间了 |
[40:13] | You may need to bring some of your men… | 还可能需要一些你的手下 |
[40:14] | Eliza! | 伊莱莎 |
[40:24] | What on earth?! | 这是什么情况 |
[40:27] | Is that cement? | 那是水泥吗 |
[40:29] | It’s Kieselguhr. | 这是硅藻土 |
[40:30] | It’s used for chemical filtration. | 常用于化学过滤 |
[40:34] | Why all this in here? | 为什么这些在这里 |
[40:35] | Why not in one of the laboratories in the college? | 为什么不在大学的实验室里 |
[40:44] | Angina tablets? | 心绞痛药片 |
[40:47] | Well there must be 30 bottles. | 这里肯定有三十瓶 |
[40:50] | Look at the main ingredient. | 看看主要原料 |
[40:54] | Nitro-glycerine. | 硝酸甘油 |
[40:57] | You don’t think he was… | 你不会觉得他在… |
[41:00] | Making a bomb. | 制作炸弹 |
[41:03] | Where the hell is it? | 那炸弹在哪 |
[41:08] | 女性参政权 妇女选举权 卡姆登教堂大堂 玛格丽特·费尔法克斯 女人纳税 女人守法 女人该投票 | |
[41:11] | I know exactly where it is. | 我知道在哪 |
[41:14] | I want every available officer to Parliament Square. | 我需要所有可用人手去国会广场 |
[41:17] | Every inch needs to be searched. | 里里外外都要搜索 |
[41:22] | Before you begin an angry tirade, | 在你发表激烈的长篇大论前 |
[41:24] | please let me explain myself. | 请让我解释一下 |
[41:28] | You have let me down Eliza. | 你让我失望了 伊莱莎 |
[41:32] | Is that all you’re gonna say? | 你就想说这些吗 |
[41:33] | You’re not gonna yell at me? | 你不打算冲我嚷嚷 |
[41:35] | I’d prefer that. | 我更喜欢那样 |
[41:38] | Let go of my arm. | 放开我的手臂 |
[41:42] | You’re making me nervous William, you’re not yourself. | 你让我紧张了 威廉 你不像自己 |
[41:46] | There’s nothing left to say. | 没什么可说的了 |
[41:48] | Well, I had to follow my conscience. | 我必须得遵从自己的良心 |
[41:58] | I was wrong, | 我错了 |
[42:00] | I preferred it when you were calm. | 我还是喜欢你冷静的时候 |
[42:02] | Do you not think that I face moral dilemma in my position? | 你以为我没有面临过道德困境吗 |
[42:06] | You have the gall to call me lazy and yet you know nothing | 你有胆说我懒惰 而你却对我每天要面对 |
[42:08] | of the grizzly scenes that I face day after day. | 灰色境况毫不知情 |
[42:12] | Yes, yes they grind you down. | 没错 那会让人日渐消沉 |
[42:14] | But by God, | 但苍天有眼 |
[42:15] | I know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. | 我能分清对错之间的区别 |
[42:18] | You have been in this business for five minutes | 你才干这行五分钟 |
[42:21] | and yet can you say the same? | 你也能这么说吗 |
[42:25] | I know, I know this is no defence, but… | 我知道 我知道什么解释都很多余 但是 |
[42:29] | things that | 那些话 |
[42:30] | Margaret said it was like she could see into my heart. | 玛格丽特说的话 仿佛她能看穿我的内心 |
[42:37] | And because of that I trusted her. | 也因为如此 我相信她 |
[42:39] | And what about me? | 那我呢 |
[42:41] | Have I not shown myself worthy of your trust? | 我还没证明自己值得你信赖吗 |
[42:44] | Do I mean nothing to you? | 我对你来说一文不值吗 |
[42:47] | Of course you do. You know you mean a great deal. | 当然不是 你知道你对我很重要 |
[42:49] | Yet you trusted a liar over me. | 但你依然更相信一个骗子 |
[42:52] | You are many things Eliza | 你有很多品质 伊莱莎 |
[42:53] | but I did not think you gullible of such manipulation. | 但我没想过你竟如此好骗 会上当这种手段 |
[42:58] | You’re right William. | 你说得对 威廉 |
[43:00] | I am gullible. | 我确实好骗 |
[43:01] | When I return, I do not want you here. | 我回来后 不希望看到你在这 |
[43:02] | In fact, I never want to see you again! | 事实上 我再也不想见到你了 |
[43:07] | She knew I’d tell you William. | 她知道我会告诉你 威廉 |
[43:11] | She knew. | 她知道 |
[43:18] | Clean the hearths, build the fires, | 打扫壁炉 生火 |
[43:20] | polish the brass. | 擦亮铜器 |
[43:22] | Then report to the kitchen | 然后去厨房 |
[43:23] | where you will work for the remainder of your day. | 剩下的时间就在厨房工作 |
[43:27] | You are forbidden from the members area. | 你不能进入会员区域 |
[43:29] | When the gentlemen begin to arrive, | 当男士们开始到达后 |
[43:31] | anything that needs addressing in these areas, | 这些区域需要打点的任何事情 |
[43:33] | a male staff member will attend to it. | 都会由男仆来处理 |
[43:36] | Yes Mr Bartlet. | 好的 巴雷特先生 |
[43:43] | And do not fraternize with my male staff. | 别和男仆太亲密 |
[43:45] | They have much work to do and do not need distracting. | 他们有很多工作 不能分心 |
[43:48] | Of course Mr Bartlet. | 当然 巴雷特先生 |
[43:50] | Start in there. | 从那里开始 |
[43:54] | Yes sir. | 好的 |
[45:10] | Hello Margaret. | 你好 玛格丽特 |
[45:25] | I knew you would have to tell him of my plan, | 我知道你必须告诉他我的计划 |
[45:28] | since you seek his approval so. | 毕竟你想获得他的认可 |
[45:30] | I seek no one’s approval. | 我不想获得任何人的认可 |
[45:31] | Myself and Inspector Wellington are equals in this. | 我和惠灵顿督察在此事上是平等的 |
[45:33] | Equals?! | 平等 |
[45:36] | Yet you were not allowed to be present at my arrest | 但你却没出现在逮捕我的现场 |
[45:39] | since it was in a gentleman’s club. | 因为那是个男士俱乐部 |
[45:42] | Right, lets get this over with shall we? | 行了 我们把这事了结吧 |
[45:44] | You wanted parliament shut down | 你想让议会关闭 |
[45:46] | so that all the MPs called to London for the vote | 让所有被叫到伦敦来投票的议员们 |
[45:48] | would take refuge in their clubs. | 只得待在自己俱乐部里 |
[45:50] | Then when your explosive went off, | 然后当你引爆炸弹时 |
[45:52] | the Brownlee would be full of the men | 布朗利俱乐部就会充满了 |
[45:53] | that you despise more than anyone. | 你最厌恶的男人 |
[45:56] | Dr Gill was an exceptional scientist. | 吉尔博士是个杰出的科学家 |
[45:59] | It’s a shame the fruits of his labour were not seen. | 可惜没人能看到他的辛苦成果了 |
[46:03] | He never hurt you did he? | 他从没伤害过你 对吧 |
[46:06] | I believe you gave yourself those bruises to fool me. | 我想那些瘀伤是你自己造成的 好欺骗我 |
[46:10] | Ah he was the kindest, sweetest man. | 他是最善良 和蔼的男人了 |
[46:13] | Extremely useful too. | 也非常有用 |
[46:15] | But even though I paid him very well, | 尽管我付他的报酬不菲 |
[46:17] | it all became too real for him. | 但对他来说一切变得太过真实 |
[46:18] | He got cold feet. | 他临阵退缩了 |
[46:20] | Threatened to inform the police. | 威胁说要告诉警察 |
[46:23] | He was no longer of any use to me. | 他已经对我无用 |
[46:25] | Margaret, you have sunk low indeed | 玛格丽特 你真是太堕落了 |
[46:27] | if you judge a life by how useful they are to you. | 如果你靠对你是否有用来评判人的价值 |
[46:29] | Says the woman who betrays the only cause that matters. | 你还好意思说 自己背叛了唯一有价值的追求 |
[46:32] | I have betrayed no one. | 我没有背叛任何人 |
[46:34] | I have stayed true to my conscience. | 我一直对得起自己的良心 |
[46:35] | Oh you keep telling yourself that. | 你就这么骗自己吧 |
[46:38] | And that your little detective business | 说你那小小的侦探事业 |
[46:40] | is blazing a trail for other women to follow. | 是为其他女性开辟新道路 |
[46:43] | Yet you work for men. | 但其实你为男人卖命 |
[46:45] | You do whatever they ask | 你做他们要求的一切 |
[46:47] | and you take their money in the hope that they use you again. | 拿他们的钱 还寄希望于他们再使用你 |
[46:50] | You may as well be working in a brothel. | 你这样与妓女有何两样 |
[46:52] | Right, that’s enough. | 够了 |
[47:05] | Is that really necessary? | 真有这个必要吗 |
[47:07] | I do not need pity from a woman like you! | 我不需要你这种女人的同情 |
[47:10] | At least I have tried to make a difference. | 至少我努力想要改变现状 |
[47:12] | But you – | 但你 |
[47:14] | everything you are, everything you do is for yourself. | 你的一切 你做的一切都是为了自己 |
[47:18] | No one else. | 不为别人 |
[47:32] | She knows nothing of you. | 她根本不了解你 |
[47:34] | Besides her view of the world is not connected with reality. | 再说 她的世界观与事实相去甚远 |
[47:38] | You cannot make people agree with you by killing them. | 你不能通过杀人 让其他人赞同自己 |
[47:42] | I mean, we’re not the French. | 毕竟我们不是法国人 |
[48:04] | Good. | 很好 |
[48:06] | Excellent. | 很出色 |
[48:10] | It’s bad enough with the Irish and the socialists. | 爱尔兰人和社会主义者已经够头疼的了 |
[48:13] | The last thing we need is women getting ideas in their heads. | 现在我们最不需要的就是让女人有什么想法 |
[48:18] | Your report shows real initiative Wellington. | 你的报告显示了主动性 惠灵顿 |
[48:21] | I must say I’m pleasantly surprised. | 我不得不说 这是个意外的惊喜 |
[48:25] | Recently I felt you unwilling | 最近我感觉你不像从前 |
[48:27] | to put the shoulder to the wheel as it were. | 乐意对难啃的案子下功夫了 |
[48:30] | With respect sir, | 恕我直言 长官 |
[48:31] | I am dealing with a great number of cases on a daily basis… | 我每天要处理的案件数量非常庞大 |
[48:34] | You think I’m wrong in my assessment of you? | 你是说我对你的评价错了吗 |
[48:37] | No sir. | 不 长官 |
[48:39] | Good, | 很好 |
[48:41] | because there are several new posts opening up | 因为有几个新的空缺职位开放 |
[48:44] | in the next month or so. | 就在大约下个月 |
[48:46] | The new Irish Division is looking for a Chief Inspector. | 爱尔兰分部正在找一位高级督察 |
[48:51] | Keep up the good work and perhaps we shall talk again. | 继续努力 或许我们会再次见面 |
[48:56] | Thank you sir. | 谢谢 长官 |
[48:59] | Oh and do thank the rest of your department | 别忘了感谢你的手下 |
[49:01] | for their work on this. | 在这个案子上的出色表现 |
[49:02] | Was there anyone in particular | 有什么人 |
[49:03] | you wish to commend for their efforts? | 你想特别表扬的吗 |
[49:28] | – Oh! You made me jump! – Sorry. | -你吓了我一跳 -抱歉 |
[49:32] | What on earth are you doing down here? | 你下来干什么 |
[49:34] | Dry your hands and come upstairs. | 把手擦干 上楼来 |
[49:36] | Whatever for? | 干什么 |
[49:37] | There’s something I want to show you. | 我有东西给你看 |
[49:46] | These letters are called vowels: | 这些字母叫元音 |
[49:49] | AEIOU A, e, I, o, u. | |
[49:53] | Write them out. | 写下来 |
[49:54] | – Lizzy… – Come on… | -丽兹 -来吧 |
[49:56] | You can do it. | 你可以的 |
[49:58] | I won’t remember. | 我肯定记不住 |
[49:59] | Course you will. | 你当然能记住 |
[50:01] | You remember far better than I, | 你的记性比我好多了 |
[50:03] | even things from my own childhood. | 甚至连我童年时的事都记得 |
[50:04] | Well that’s because you were so naughty. | 那都是因为你太调皮 |
[50:08] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[50:11] | That’s it. | 就这样 |
[50:14] | AEIOU A, e, I, o, u. | |
[50:32] | That ghostly figure is no random woman. | 这个幽灵般的影子不是随便什么女人 |
[50:34] | – You know her? – Dead photographer | -你认识她 -从恐怖故事里 |
[50:36] | straight out of a Penny Dreadful. Bloody nonsense! | 跑出来的已故摄影师 真是胡说八道 |
[50:39] | Oh dear God, it’s her! | 天呐 是她 |
[50:41] | She’s punishing us from beyond the grave. | 她在从阴间惩罚我们 |
[50:43] | I am attempting to improve my position, | 我正打算升职 |
[50:45] | but there’s a couple of ex army officers above me. | 但有几个前任军队长官排在我前头 |
[50:48] | You’re facing prejudice in your chosen career. | 你在自己选的职业中面临偏见啊 |
[50:50] | What must that be like? | 那是什么感受 |
[50:50] | Who is Miss Scarlet? | 斯嘉丽小姐是谁 |
[50:53] | A very dull, uninteresting woman. | 一个无聊至极 毫无乐趣的女人 |
[50:55] | I’m a private detective working a case | 我是位私家侦探 正在查案 |
[50:57] | and will pay you handsomely to look the other way. | 愿意给你丰厚的报酬 只要你能佯作不知 |
[51:00] | You’re a what? | 你是什么 |