时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | Tables. | 桌子 |
[00:07] | Tables are made so a person can sit down and do something. | 桌子的存在是让人能坐下来做点事 |
[00:11] | Or nothing. | 或者只是坐着 |
[00:13] | Any person can sit at a table, | 人人都能坐在桌边 |
[00:15] | and if the table is large enough, many people. | 桌子若够大 可以围坐很多人 |
[00:17] | To make jokes, eat a meal, tell stories. | 开开玩笑 吃吃饭 讲讲逸事 |
[00:21] | Tables are for people to be together and share. | 桌子的存在是让人聚起来一同分享 |
[00:23] | And that is why tables are like Pied Piper. | 这就是为什么桌子像魔笛手 |
[00:27] | Grapefruits, postcards, hugs. | 葡萄柚 明信片 拥抱 |
[00:29] | These are things people share to connect, to come closer. | 人们分享 得以沟通 拉近距离 |
[00:32] | To open up about ideas and things that make us feel alive, | 敞开心扉 重拾青春 |
[00:35] | like air, ballet, amazing haircuts, weird countries, | 如同空气 芭蕾 秀发 诡秘国度 |
[00:40] | three-alarm chili, mountains, continents, the Earth, life. | 三级辣椒 山脉 大陆 地球 生命 |
[00:44] | Life is beautiful and sad and hopeful and dangerous. | 生命既动人又悲伤 既危险又充满希望 |
[00:49] | So maybe the reason we share so much | 也许之所以我们如此分享 |
[00:51] | is because we understand that without sharing, | 因为我们深知若没有分享 |
[00:54] | we can’t survive. | 我们就无法生存 |
[00:56] | And sharing is tables. | 分享正如同桌子 |
[00:58] | Pied Piper. | 魔笛手 |
[01:01] | Yes. Tables. I see. It’s a metaphor. | 桌子 我懂了 这是个隐喻 |
[01:05] | – It’s a wonderful ad spot. – Yeah. We’re all just tables. | -很妙的广告点 -是啊 咱们其实都像桌子 |
[01:09] | I love what you’ve done with the place. | 你家的装潢我很喜欢 |
[01:11] | It’s a really nicely done place. | 设计得美伦美奂 |
[01:16] | Say, is that your dog? | 话说 这是你的狗吗 |
[01:19] | It’s a dog. | 这是条狗 |
[01:24] | You and I have never really had much of a rapport, have we? | 你和我从来都没啥默契 是吧 |
[01:26] | It’s… wanting. | 这是… 理想状态 |
[01:30] | Oh, look. | 看啊 |
[01:31] | Well, we’re almost there. Prepare to gather, everyone. | 差不多了 各位 准备聚过来 |
[01:36] | No, I didn’t say to gather. I simply said prepare to gather. | 不 我没说现在聚过来 我是说准备好聚过来 |
[01:44] | – Monica, hey. – Oh, hey. How’s it going? | -莫妮卡 -你咋样啊 |
[01:47] | – You holding up okay? – Not really. | -还好吗 -不太好 |
[01:49] | I know. Her parties are always deeply weird. | 我懂 她的派对一直都很诡异 |
[01:51] | Hey, I guess this is as good a time as any to say it, | 也许正好是个机会来提一下 |
[01:54] | but, um, I’m really sorry for not getting Pied Piper. | 可我真的很抱歉有眼不识魔笛手 |
[01:59] | And to be honest, it’s really embarrassing to be so fucking wrong. | 说实话吧 错得这么离谱真的很丢脸 |
[02:03] | Well, here’s the thing, you, uh, you might not be. | 事实上 也许没那么离谱 |
[02:07] | What? What are you talking about? | 啥 你什么意思 |
[02:10] | Uh… okay. | 那… 是这样 |
[02:13] | So, well, Pied Piper launches and everything’s great, | 魔笛手正式发行 一切都很顺利 |
[02:17] | and we spent a fucking bazillion dollars, on the Tables ad | 还他妈花了天价做这个桌子的广告 |
[02:21] | and now we are almost at 500,000 installs, right? | 现在安装量直逼五十万了 是吧 |
[02:25] | – Yeah. What’s the problem? – Well, as you know, | -对啊 有什么问题吗 -如你所知 |
[02:28] | installs isn’t really the metric that matters. | 安装量并不是最核心的测量标准 |
[02:30] | We need daily active users, people who come back to the platform. | 每天活跃在平台上的用户量才是关键 |
[02:34] | Okay, so how many daily users do you actually have? | 好吧 那我们到底有多少活跃用户 |
[02:36] | Okay, what would… what would be a number | 你… 你觉得什么数量 |
[02:38] | that would make you say, “Ugh, oh, that’s bad.” | 会让你说 “呃哦 这么少” |
[02:40] | I don’t know, like, 100,000? | 我不确定 大概十万吧 |
[02:44] | – Oh. – Are you less? | -哦 -十万还不到 |
[02:46] | How much less? | 还缺多少 |
[02:48] | – 19,000. – 19… 19,000 less than a hu… | -一万九 -一… 差一万九… |
[02:51] | – 81,000? – No. No, just 19,000. | -八万一吗 -不是 只有一万九 |
[02:55] | – That’s the only number. – What? | -就这么点 -不是吧 |
[02:57] | – That’s… that’s terrible. – Yeah. I’m aware. | -这… 也忒少了 -是啊 我知道 |
[02:59] | – Well, yeah, that’s art, not a chair. – Oh. | -那是艺术品 不能坐 -好吧 |
[03:03] | Richard! Oh, my… well, you haven’t told Laurie yet, have you? | 理查德 我晕… 你还没告诉劳芮吧 |
[03:06] | – No. – Okay. Well, who else knows? | -没 -还好 那还有谁知道 |
[03:09] | – Dinesh and Gilfoyle? – No. | -迪内希和吉弗约尔呢 -他们不知道 |
[03:12] | Erlich? | 埃利希 |
[03:13] | No. | 不知道 |
[03:16] | Well, apparently Jared knows. | 好吧 杰瑞德看样子就知道 |
[03:29] | Yeah, Pied Piper’s sort of what I’m known for, | 魔笛手算是我的成名大作 |
[03:32] | but I’m into a lot of cool stuff. | 不过我爱好很多酷炫事物 |
[03:36] | Like, a lot. | 非常多 |
[03:37] | You seem surprised. | 你貌似很惊讶 |
[03:39] | I’ll give you an example. A few months ago, | 举个例子吧 几个月前 |
[03:42] | I’m at my computer, freestyling, | 我坐在电脑前 随便弄弄 |
[03:43] | just kind of jammin’ out, you know, | 纯属放松休闲 |
[03:45] | before I knew it I had thrown together | 无意间就弄出来个 |
[03:48] | the greatest video-chat app the world has ever seen. | 世上最棒的视频聊天软件 |
[03:51] | So you invented Skype a few months ago? | 你是说你几个月前发明了”讯佳普”吗 |
[03:55] | Great ideas just sort of flow through me. | 我这人吧 奇思妙想说来就来 |
[03:57] | The platform, you know, it’s sort of a group project, | 这平台吧 算是团队劳动结晶 |
[04:01] | but, the video-chat app, that’s my solo album. | 可这视聊软件 才是我个人佳作 |
[04:04] | – Oh, Robert. – I’m Dinesh. | -罗伯特 -我叫迪内希 |
[04:10] | What the fuck is going on with you? | 你他妈咋回事啊 |
[04:13] | Could you be more specific? | 能说具体点不 |
[04:16] | You’re hiding something. | 你在隐瞒什么 |
[04:17] | What? No, I’m not. | 啥 我没有啊 |
[04:19] | Everything’s fine. You know, everything’s fine. | 没事啊 一切都很好 |
[04:21] | That’s a lie. | 你骗人 |
[04:23] | I can tell because you subscribe | 我看得出来 是因为 |
[04:25] | to traditional Judeo-Christian mores of right and wrong. | 犹太基督教的传统是非理念束缚了你 |
[04:29] | You’re made uncomfortable by untruth. | 谎言让你很不自在 |
[04:32] | My commitment to LaVeyan Satanism | 而我的恶魔崇拜 |
[04:34] | grants me certain freedoms. | 给予我某种自由 |
[04:36] | There is no good and evil, there’s only self. | 世上没有绝对的善恶 只有自我 |
[04:41] | – Would you like a beverage? – Yes, I would. | -想喝点什么不 -当然想 |
[04:43] | Lie. You just want me to go to the bar and leave you alone. | 撒谎 你想支使我去吧台 然后还自己个清静 |
[04:50] | Gil… you crack me up. | 吉… 你逗死我了 |
[04:52] | Lie. | 撒谎 |
[04:54] | I terrify you, as I should. | 我吓到你了 这才是真的 |
[05:00] | Get out of here. | 走开啦你 |
[05:03] | Okay, thank you. | 好 谢谢 |
[05:06] | Okay, so, I just spoke with my friend who runs a market research firm, | 我刚和朋友通过电话 她公司是搞市场研究的 |
[05:10] | she’s gonna set up a focus group for the platform, | 现在准备为这个平台成立焦点团队 |
[05:13] | put it in the hands of some real users, | 让真正的用户体验这个平台 |
[05:15] | and hopefully it’ll be super obvious what’s going wrong. | 希望能弄明白问题到底在哪儿 |
[05:17] | – Okay, great. – Clink, clink, clink. Gather. | -好 不错 -叮叮叮 集合 |
[05:20] | Faster, please. Gather faster. We’re close. | 大家抓紧点 迅速集合 快到了 |
[05:22] | We need to see the numbers change. | 我们得见证数字变化 |
[05:24] | 499,995, 499,995, | |
[05:27] | 499,996… 499,996… | |
[05:35] | 499,997… 499,997… | |
[05:47] | It’s going great. Uh, they’ve been engaging | 一切进行顺利 刚过去的一小时里 |
[05:49] | with the platform for about an hour now. | 他们一直在使用这个平台 |
[05:51] | – They’re just starting the Q and A. – Uh, great. | -问答环节刚开始 -很好 |
[05:53] | Thank you, everyone, for sharing your feelings | 谢谢各位 对史无前例的魔笛手平台 |
[05:55] | on the revolutionary new Pied Piper platform. | 分享你们使用后的体验与感受 |
[05:57] | Now, Bernice, you say here that you were… | 伯妮斯 你说你刚刚… |
[06:01] | totally freaked out by the platform. | 完全被这平台弄得抓狂 |
[06:04] | What specifically totally freaked you out? | 究竟什么让你们抓狂 |
[06:07] | Everything. Just every single thing about it. | 所有的 魔笛手的任何一点 |
[06:11] | Just, like, how it worked. | 比如 如何操作它 |
[06:13] | Now, who else found themselves | 还有谁觉得自己 |
[06:15] | totally freaked out by this platform? | 被这个平台弄得抓狂 |
[06:19] | Barry, Warren, Natalie, Martina, | 巴里 沃伦 娜塔莉 玛蒂娜 |
[06:22] | Gwen, Amy, Walker, and Clay. | 格温 艾米 沃克 还有克雷 |
[06:25] | You were all totally freaked out. | 你们都很抓狂吗 |
[06:27] | Was anyone not totally freaked out? | 有谁不这么觉得 |
[06:30] | Clark? Good. What was your reaction? | 克拉克吗 很好 你什么感受 |
[06:33] | It just made me feel stupid. | 它让我觉得自己很蠢 |
[06:35] | This file sync thing is confusing. | 文件同步过程实在让人费解 |
[06:37] | When I put videos into my main folder, it says it uploaded them, | 我把视频放进主文件夹时 显示正在上传 |
[06:41] | but then I didn’t see where they went. | 然后不知道传到哪个星球去了 |
[06:43] | It said stuff was on my phone and my iPad, | 提示说文件已在我手机和平板电脑里 |
[06:45] | but when I looked at the memory, it said, zero K used, | 可我看到内存的显示为0 |
[06:48] | so stuff wasn’t on there. | 也就是说文件不在那里 |
[06:49] | That’s the platform. He’s describing the platform | 说的是平台 他在描述这个平台 |
[06:52] | and what’s great about it. Well, clearly he doesn’t get it. | 平台的魅力所在 他明显并没有领会到 |
[06:54] | clearly none of these people get it. Maybe this is a bad group. | 在场所有人明显都没意识到 这群人太低端 |
[06:57] | This is the fifth one today | 这是今天的第五组了 |
[06:58] | and it’s the least hostile reaction we’ve seen. | 还是抵触反应最小的一个组 |
[07:00] | Okay, well, everyone that I showed the beta to loved it. Loved. | 体验过内测版的人都爱死它了 深爱 |
[07:05] | – Oh, shit. – What? | -该死啊 -什么 |
[07:08] | Who did you give the beta to? | 你把内测版给了哪些人 |
[07:09] | – Your friends. Engineers. – Well, yeah, Monica. | -你的朋友 工程师们 -没错 莫妮卡 |
[07:13] | I wanted to give it to people who would understand | 我想把它介绍给那些真正了解 |
[07:15] | what I’m trying to do, so I could get useful feedback. | 我在做什么的人 这样我得到的反馈才有效 |
[07:18] | And with all due respect, I gave it to you, | 出于尊重 我也发给了你 |
[07:20] | the one person without a computing background, | 一个计算机菜鸟 |
[07:21] | and you said it felt engineered. | 你觉得它太生硬 |
[07:25] | – Oh, shit. – Yeah. | -妈的 -是吧 |
[07:27] | You’re trying to sell the platform to regular people, | 你搭建平台的初衷就是给普通人用 |
[07:29] | but you never actually put it in the hands of regular people. | 可你却根本没让普通人知道怎么用 |
[07:33] | Like them. | 比如他们 |
[07:34] | Shouldn’t there be a download button? | 这里不该有个下载按钮吗 |
[07:36] | Did they honestly forget to add a download button? | 他们是不是忘了添加下载按钮 |
[07:40] | You know what, Richard, why don’t we just go… | 理查德 我们为什么就… |
[07:43] | I mean, who designed this thing? | 这玩意儿究竟谁设计的 |
[07:45] | I did. I designed it. | 是我 我设计的 |
[07:49] | Excuse me? Who are you? | 不好意思 你谁啊 |
[07:50] | Uh, my name is Richard Hendricks, I’m the CEO of Pied Piper. | 我叫理查德·亨德里克斯 是魔笛手的执行总裁 |
[07:54] | Oh, my God. | 我的天 |
[07:55] | Oh, you’re the one who forgot the download button. | 就是你忘记添加下载按钮啊 |
[07:58] | Yes. | 是 |
[08:00] | But no. No, actually, | 严格来说 不是我 |
[08:02] | there is no download button because, well, | 没有下载按钮是因为 |
[08:04] | you don’t need a download button. We’re past that. | 根本不需要下载按钮 我们有意忽略的 |
[08:06] | I mean, that’s the old thing. This guy, actually, | 那东西很老套 这位仁兄实际上 |
[08:08] | he should have told you that. | 本该告诉你们 |
[08:09] | I’m a moderator, not an advocate. | 我只负责调研 不负责宣传 |
[08:11] | Okay, well, with Pied Piper, | 用了魔笛手 |
[08:12] | you don’t need to download anything or send anything at all, | 你根本不用下载或发送任何东西 |
[08:15] | anywhere, because the second you take a photo | 因为就在你拍照片 |
[08:18] | or a video or compose a text message, | 拍视频或编短信的功夫 |
[08:21] | it’s on all of your devices instantly. | 它就即刻同步到你的设备了 |
[08:23] | – So it’s all on my phone? – Yes. | -都在我手机上吗 -没错 |
[08:25] | Wrong! It says “Zero K used,” So it’s not on there. | 不对 这里显示”存储使用0″ 所以根本不在 |
[08:31] | Yes, well, that’s the best part about the platform right there. | 其实 这就是本平台最出彩的地方 |
[08:33] | Yes, uh, because you’re right, it’s not actually on the phone. | 你说的对 它确实没显示在手机上 |
[08:37] | But you don’t need it to be on the phone | 可如果你能在手机上看到 |
[08:40] | if you can see it on the phone, | 即使上面什么都没有 |
[08:43] | even though there’s nothing there at all. | 你也不希望它占空间 |
[08:46] | But… where the hell is it? | 那… 到底在哪儿 |
[08:48] | Everywhere. | 无处不在 |
[08:50] | And nowhere, sort of. | 或者并不存在 |
[08:54] | Let me, let me just take a step back here | 那我 那我说简单点 |
[08:57] | and explain it in a simpler way. | 举个更浅显的例子 |
[08:59] | – Sorry, what was your name? – Bernice. | -抱歉 请问女士芳名 -伯妮斯 |
[09:01] | Bernice. What did you have for breakfast today? | 伯妮斯 你早餐吃的什么 |
[09:03] | – Scrambled eggs. – Scrambled eggs. | -炒鸡蛋 -炒鸡蛋 |
[09:06] | And what’s in the eggs? | 鸡蛋里有什么 |
[09:08] | Electrons. Right? | 有电子 对吧 |
[09:10] | And we all know how electrons exist in orbitals. | 众所周知 电子存在于轨道中 |
[09:13] | Multivalent states? No? | 多价态 不知道 |
[09:15] | No one knows this? Okay. | 没人知道 好吧 |
[09:17] | Okay, that’s fine. Bad example. That’s on me. | 没事 这例子不恰当 我的锅 |
[09:20] | I’ll… I’m going to use the whiteboard here. | 我… 我用白板讲解吧 |
[09:22] | You’re gonna… you’re gonna love this. Okay. | 你们… 你们一定会爱上这款软件 |
[09:25] | Then, once we hit a critical mass of users, | 一旦达到临界用户数量 |
[09:28] | the volume of data moving through the system | 通过系统流通的数据量 |
[09:31] | will enable the neural net to start optimizing the platform. | 就能让神经网络开始优化平台 |
[09:34] | It will actually get smarter and faster all on its own. | 这是种自我优化 变得更智能更快捷 |
[09:37] | Is that like when I’m texting | 就是当我发短信的时候 |
[09:39] | and my phone starts guessing what I’m going to say? | 我的手机就开始揣摩我后续要说的话了 |
[09:42] | This goes way beyond autocomplete. | 完全超越自动填补功能 |
[09:44] | Actually, all of your devices will begin helping each other | 事实上 所有设备都将以我们无法设计 |
[09:48] | in ways that we can’t even design or predict. | 或是预测的方式进行互通协助 |
[09:50] | Okay, but see, the problem is… Terminator. | 明白 但问题是… 他会成为”终结者”吗 |
[09:55] | What? No. No, no. No, no, no. No. | 什么 不不不 不会 |
[09:59] | I can assure there is no Skynet type of situation here. | 我保证不会存在类似”天网”的情况 |
[09:59] | 天网(Skynet): 电影”终结者”里, 人类于20世纪后期创造的 以计算机为基础的人工智能防御系统, 最初用于军事发展, 后自我意识觉醒, 视人类为威胁, 采用大规模杀伤性武器灭绝全人类 | |
[10:03] | No. Pied Piper will in no way | 不会 魔笛手绝对不会 |
[10:04] | become sentient and try to take over the world. | 拥有自我意识并企图主宰世界 |
[10:07] | He just told us he couldn’t predict it. | 他刚说他无法做出预测 |
[10:09] | I’m just saying… everybody died. | 我想说的是… 所有人都死了 |
[10:14] | You’re right. | 说得对 |
[10:15] | In those movies, there were a lot of casualties. | 在这些电影里 的确有大量人类伤亡 |
[10:19] | Quite scary to think. It’s food for thought. | 想想就觉得恐怖 发人深省 |
[10:22] | Speaking of… | 话说… |
[10:23] | Can we order some pizzas in here? | 能点一些披萨吗 |
[10:29] | So, when we put our files into a Pied Piper folder, | 把文件放进魔笛手文件夹后 |
[10:32] | they get split up into tiny bits and spread | 他们就会分解成碎片 |
[10:36] | across a network of other users’ devices? | 通过其他用户设备的网络传输吗 |
[10:39] | Yes, that’s peer-to-peer distribution. Continue. | 没错 这就是对等分布 接着说 |
[10:42] | But they can’t look at any of our files | 但他们看不到任何文件 |
[10:44] | because they only have tiny, scrambled pieces of them? | 因为他们被分解成了微小碎片 |
[10:48] | – Encrypted sharding. – Clark with the assist. Great. | -就像加密分区 -多谢克拉克补充 很棒 |
[10:50] | Go on. | 继续说 |
[10:51] | But we can look at any of our files anytime, | 即便不存在于任何设备上 |
[10:54] | anywhere even though they’re not actually on any of our devices. | 我们也能随时随地查看文件 |
[10:59] | Yes. Yes, Bernice, that’s it. | 完全正确 伯妮斯 |
[11:02] | That’s Pied Piper. That’s everything. | 这就是魔笛手 就是这样 |
[11:03] | So it’s all on our phones even though it sort of isn’t. | 即使没显示 但一切存在于我们手机上 |
[11:07] | Oh, my God. That’s awesome. | 天哪 真是太棒了 |
[11:09] | Isn’t it? | 谁说不是呢 |
[11:11] | So, what do you think? Will you use Pied Piper now? | 感觉如何 你们还会用魔笛手吗 |
[11:14] | – Well, I think I will. – Me, too, | -当然 我会用 -我也是 |
[11:16] | – now that you’ve explained how it works. – There you go. | -你解释得很清楚 -这下都懂了 |
[11:19] | That’s what we’ve been aiming for. | 这就是我们的目标 |
[11:23] | They get it! | 他们听懂了 |
[11:24] | What’s he smiling at? | 他在傻笑什么 |
[11:26] | This data was corrupted the second he walked in that room. | 从他进屋那一刻起 数据已经被破坏了 |
[11:32] | So we’re tanking, and it’s because we’re too good. | 陷入困境 是因为我们的软件好得没话说 |
[11:35] | That’s one way of looking at it. Yes. | 是的 这是一种看待方式 |
[11:38] | Yes, we have created a product so far ahead of its time, | 没错 我们的产品太过超前了 |
[11:40] | people are having difficulty wrapping their heads around it. | 大家就算绞尽脑汁也用不来 |
[11:44] | Well, then we just need to change the platform, right? | 所以 要改变平台 是吗 |
[11:47] | – We simplify it. – Well, we can’t. | -进行简化 -当然不是 |
[11:49] | It’s not as if I don’t want to, | 并不是我不想简化 |
[11:51] | it’s just that we literally can’t do it. | 只是根本不用简化 |
[11:53] | If you build an airplane | 如果你造了架飞机 |
[11:55] | and people are afraid of anything that flies, | 人们却害怕天上飞的 |
[11:56] | you can’t just take the wings off of it, because, | 你不能因此把机翼拆了 |
[11:58] | at that point, all you’re left with | 到时候 你只剩下 |
[12:00] | is a really slow, super expensive shitty bus. | 一辆巨慢且超贵的烂公交 |
[12:04] | No, we built an airplane, we got to fly it. | 不 既然造了飞机 就要飞 |
[12:07] | What’s the point of flying if it’s fucking empty? | 没人坐的话 还飞个毛啊 |
[12:09] | I think people will want to fly | 一旦他们了解这个平台 |
[12:11] | once they realize how cool the platform is. | 他们就一定会想用 |
[12:14] | Guys, I know we’re in a tough spot right now, | 伙计们 我知道咱们目前处境艰难 |
[12:17] | and I know we needed a quarter million DAU’s | 我也知道要达到25万日活跃用户量 |
[12:20] | in order to get our next round of funding, but this is it. | 才能获得下一轮融资 但这就是现状 |
[12:22] | I think we can do this. All we got to do | 我们可以做到 而现在要做的 |
[12:24] | is just take every last dollar that we have, | 就是用好每一分钱 |
[12:26] | which is… Sorry, Jared, what? | 大概是… 抱歉 杰瑞德 还剩多少 |
[12:28] | Well, after the Table ads, | 去掉广告费 |
[12:32] | the salaries, recruiter fees… | 工资 招聘费用… |
[12:35] | You know what? I haven’t run the numbers. | 我还没把数字统计出来 |
[12:37] | It would be irresponsible to estimate. | 这样预估太草率了 |
[12:39] | Okay, is it less than a million dollars? | 还不到一百万吧 |
[12:42] | – Oh, god, yeah. – Okay. | -天啊 没错 -好吧 |
[12:45] | – It’s higher than 500,000, right? – Yeah. | -大于五十万 对吧 -对 |
[12:48] | I guess it’s about $697,240. | 我估计是697,240美元 |
[12:53] | But don’t quote me on that. | 但别说是我说的 |
[12:55] | Okay, we use that money to do outreach, tutorials, | 我们用这些钱做外展 辅导 |
[12:59] | user meetups, uh, create a guerrilla marketing campaign | 客户见面会 搞个游击营销 |
[13:03] | that explains how cool the platform is. | 来解释我们的平台到底多炫 |
[13:06] | I know it’s not ideal, but, | 我知道这不是当初设想 可是 |
[13:08] | I really think we can pull this off. | 我真觉得我们能做成 |
[13:11] | Yeah, that seems doable. | 对 看上去可行 |
[13:12] | Lie. | 撒谎 |
[13:14] | Or here’s another idea. We could put the platform on hold, | 还可以这么做 我们可以先搁置平台 |
[13:18] | take the money we have left and pivot to something | 拿剩下的钱 转去做其他项目 |
[13:21] | that doesn’t require hours of explanation. | 不需要大量说明的那种 |
[13:23] | You know, I’ve been showing people the video-chat app | 我一直向人们展示我加上的 |
[13:27] | – that I hacked together and… – Shut up, Dinesh! | -视频聊天应用… -闭嘴 迪内希 |
[13:30] | You ungrateful pricks, all of you. | 你们这群白眼狼 你们都是 |
[13:32] | Your tepid response to our intrepid boss makes me ill. | 面对如此无畏的老板 你们冷淡的反应让我恶心 |
[13:38] | His plan, will it work? | 他的计划 靠谱吗 |
[13:42] | Almost certainly not. | 当然不靠谱 |
[13:43] | All of you will likely look back at this time in your lives | 很有可能 你们每人在回顾这段时间时 |
[13:46] | and realize you wasted a whole year with nothing to show for it. | 会意识到自己白忙一年却没有成果 |
[13:50] | But if this company is a plane, | 可如果这公司是一架飞机 |
[13:52] | then this is Richard’s goddamn plane, | 那他妈也是理查德的飞机 |
[13:54] | and if he wants to fly it in the side of a fucking mountain, | 即使他想撞山 那也是他的权力 |
[13:57] | that is his prerogative and it is our duty to climb on, | 我们的义务是跟着登机 |
[14:01] | strap in and have a fiery death right behind him. | 系好安全带 跟着他壮烈牺牲 |
[14:05] | I don’t… I don’t know about that, but… | 我不… 我不知道这个 但是… |
[14:08] | Richard, the floor. | 理查德 好好发言 |
[14:10] | Crashing aside, I think this is the plan and… | 先不管坠机 我觉得这是个计划 |
[14:13] | really, what other option do we have? | 说真的 我们有别的选择吗 |
[14:18] | Well, I know what option I have. | 我知道我的选择 |
[14:20] | I can quit. So I quit. | 我可以退出 所以我辞职 |
[14:24] | Okay. Any… anybody else? | 好 其他… 其他人呢 |
[14:29] | Guys, no. | 伙计们 别 |
[14:31] | Look, Douglas, | 喂 道格拉斯 |
[14:33] | customer support is going to be a big part of this. | 用户支持是计划里的重点 |
[14:35] | We need you guys if we’re going to get 250,000 users. | 如果想得到25万用户 我们需要你们 |
[14:38] | I barely have any customers to support, Richard. | 我没什么用户需要支持 理查德 |
[14:40] | And the only way you’re going to get that many users | 要得到那么多用户 唯一的办法是 |
[14:42] | is if you go to one of those click farms in Bangladesh and pay for them. | 去孟加拉国的点阅农场[刷点击量的公司 多涉及诈骗] |
[14:45] | Good fuckin’ luck, man. I’m out. | 祝你狗日的好运 我不干了 |
[14:47] | – Guys, wait. – Jared, let them go. | -等等 -杰瑞德 让他们走 |
[14:49] | I have to do their exit interviews. | 我得做他们的离职面谈 |
[14:51] | I guess I can do them on their walk to their cars. | 应该能在他们上车前做完 |
[14:54] | Richard, we’re better off without them. | 理查德 没他们更好 |
[14:57] | Lie. | 撒谎 |
[15:02] | This is intolerable. A man can only take so much. | 这不能忍 是可忍孰不可忍 |
[15:06] | Banished from my own company? No. | 被我自己的公司赶走 不行 |
[15:08] | I’m just going to give them what they want. I’m going to resign. | 我会去满足他们 我要辞职 |
[15:12] | We can go to Haiti, build orphanages. | 我们可以去海地建孤儿院 |
[15:16] | Haiti? | 海地 |
[15:19] | Is it not said that one should think globally and act locally? | 俗话不是说 要放眼全球 着手当下吗 |
[15:24] | I’m not acting at all. | 我完全没在演戏[act有行动和演戏双重含义] |
[15:26] | Lao Tzu teaches the best fighter is never angry. | 老子说”善战者不怒” |
[15:30] | More important than the blow is knowing when to strike. | 洞悉时机比战斗更重要 |
[15:34] | Like, perhaps, after we experience | 也许就在我们去过 |
[15:38] | the executive white water rafting trip in Coeur D’Alene? | 科达伦[爱荷华州]极速漂流后 |
[15:44] | Gavin, do you have a moment? | 加文 你有空吗 |
[15:47] | Yes. | 有 |
[15:49] | Alone? | 单独说 |
[15:50] | Of course. Denpok? | 可以 丹帕克 |
[15:52] | What? | 怎么 |
[15:54] | Give us a moment, please? | 请允许我们单独说两句 |
[16:01] | Gavin, I’m really not supposed to be talking to you, | 加文 我本不该找你说的 |
[16:04] | but there’s something I think you should know about. | 可有些事情你应该知道 |
[16:07] | I’m listening. | 你说 |
[16:08] | A customer service rep that just left Pied Piper | 一个客服代表刚从魔笛手离职 |
[16:12] | is on campus right now interviewing for a job. | 正在园区参加工作面试 |
[16:15] | Why would anyone leave Pied Piper now? | 现在怎么会有人离开魔笛手 |
[16:17] | I thought maybe you’d want to ask him yourself. | 我想 也许你希望亲自问他 |
[16:22] | Well done. Well done. | 干得漂亮 很漂亮 |
[16:26] | Okay. Thank you for coming in, Douglas. | 谢谢你过来 道格拉斯 |
[16:29] | – Yeah. – Right this way. Okay. | -对 -这边 对 |
[16:36] | Douglas. | 道格拉斯 |
[16:40] | Consider the possum. Nature’s… | 想想负鼠 自然的… |
[16:42] | Gavin, if you’re bringing another animal into this board room, | 加文 如果你再带动物来董事会议室 |
[16:45] | – this meeting is over. – Of course not. Don’t insult me. | -那会议就此结束 -当然不会 别污蔑我 |
[16:49] | Gentlemen and lady of the Hooli board, | 互利董事会的女士们先生们 |
[16:52] | I am the possum to which I refer. | 我就是我所说的负鼠 |
[16:55] | Playing dead to outwit those who wish me harm. | 装死骗倒那些想害我的人 |
[16:58] | But it’s time to end the charade. | 但是时候终止这出戏了 |
[17:00] | I’m sorry, Gavin. What charade? | 不好意思 加文 什么戏 |
[17:02] | For months, I’ve led the world to believe | 这几个月 我让世人认为 |
[17:04] | that my Endframe division was pursuing | 我的”尾帧”部门 |
[17:06] | a broad-based compression platform | 在建一个泛用的压缩平台 |
[17:08] | in direct competition with Pied Piper. | 直接对抗魔笛手 |
[17:10] | But secretly, I knew that any such platform was destined to fail. | 但私下里 我知道这种平台注定失败 |
[17:15] | But Pied Piper is not failing. | 可魔笛手并没有失败 |
[17:17] | It’s the most popular app in the Hooli store. | 它是互利商店最热门的应用 |
[17:19] | One of the most installed, yes. | 是安装量最多的应用之一 没错 |
[17:22] | But I happen to know, because I make it my business to know, | 可我偶然得知 因为我有心留意才知道 |
[17:25] | that their daily active user numbers are abysmal. | 他们的每日活跃用户量惨不忍睹 |
[17:28] | So, you were never developing a platform. | 这么说 你从未研发平台 |
[17:32] | Why didn’t you tell us this? | 那你怎么不告诉我们 |
[17:34] | Says the chairperson of the board | 这是近期要我辞职的 |
[17:36] | that recently asked for my resignation. | 董事会中的董事说的话 |
[17:39] | Trust cuts both ways. I thought it best to leave you out of it. | 信任是相互的 不告知你们是最好的选择 |
[17:43] | I’m sorry, Gavin. | 抱歉 加文 我只是觉得 |
[17:45] | I’m just finding all of this impossible to believe. | 这一切难以置信 |
[17:48] | If you were never building a platform, what did we just spend | 如果你从未研发平台 那我们 |
[17:50] | three-quarters of a billion dollars on? | 花7.5个亿干什么了 |
[17:53] | I’m not going to tell you. | 我并不打算告诉你们 |
[17:55] | Instead, I’m going to let the new head of product | 反之 我会让互利/尾帧产品的新负责人 |
[17:57] | for Hooli/Endframe tell you. | 告诉大家 |
[18:02] | Hello, everyone. | 大家好 |
[18:04] | I’m Jack Barker, and I’m very excited | 我是杰克·巴克 很高兴向各位介绍 |
[18:07] | to introduce Hooli/Endframe’s newest product… | 互利/尾帧的最新产品… |
[18:12] | We call it… The Box. | 它叫做… “魔盒” |
[18:16] | Pied Piper’s loss is Hooli’s gain. | 魔笛手所失 即是互利之所得 |
[18:18] | May the best product win. | 愿最好的产品笑到最后 |
[18:25] | Can I get you a shirt, sir? There you go. | 先生 来件T恤好吗 给您 |
[18:28] | Actually, let me ask you a question, Emily. | 那么 我来问你个问题吧 艾米丽 |
[18:28] | 安装量超过 \h 五十万 \h | |
[18:31] | What did you have for breakfast today? | 你今天早餐吃的什么 |
[18:33] | – Um, yogurt. – Okay. | -酸奶 -好的 |
[18:35] | And, we all know what’s in yogurt, right? | 我们都知道酸奶里有什么 对吧 |
[18:38] | Electrons. Multivalent states. | 电子 多价态的电子 |
[18:44] | Welcome to the Pied Piper Informational Seminar. | 欢迎参加魔笛手信息研讨会 |
[18:47] | Now, what is Pied Piper? Excellent question. | 首先 魔笛手是什么 问得好 |
[18:50] | Here it is. | 看这里 |
[18:53] | One of your Hooli/Endframe boxes would go right here in this rack. | 你们一个互利/尾帧盒子会被放上这个架子 |
[18:57] | Okay, let me show you the next location | 那行 我们去看下一个 |
[19:00] | in which we would install one of your boxes. | 放你们盒子的地方 |
[19:04] | – Congratulations, Jack. – And congratulations to you, Gavin. | -恭喜你啊 杰克 -同喜同喜 加文 |
[19:10] | – Hey, John? – John? | -约翰 -人呢 |
[19:12] | John? | 约翰 |
[19:14] | A lot of people have raised their hands, | 有很多人在这次研讨会上 |
[19:16] | throughout this seminar saying, | 举手提问到 |
[19:17] | Hey, is thing like the Terminator? | 魔笛手是类似”终结者”的东西吗 |
[19:19] | Uh, no. Not at all. | 不 完全不是 |
[19:21] | Hi, how big are your files? | 你们的文件库有多大 |
[19:23] | Dodge Challenger? Hoodie? | 道奇挑战者[克莱斯勒肌肉车]哦 来件卫衣吗 |
[19:42] | – John? – Yo! | -约翰 -你在哪儿 |
[19:45] | – John? – John! | -约翰 -约翰 |
[19:47] | – John! – John! | -约翰 -约翰 |
[19:49] | This is Pied Piper, guys. Okay? | 这就是魔笛手 各位 明白了吗 |
[19:51] | If I could just explain it one more time. | 我可以再解释一次 |
[19:54] | Guys? Please don’t leave. I beg you. | 伙计们 别走啊 拜托了 |
[19:58] | Hi, Bernice. Yeah. | 伯妮斯 你还在呢 |
[20:13] | We kind of thought we nailed it with Tables, | 我们以为用桌子就搞定了 |
[20:16] | but you say you want something light, fun, inviting. | 可你说想要些更轻松 更有趣 更诱人的东西 |
[20:20] | But most of all, you want something that delivers | 但最主要的是 你想针对平台每个细节 |
[20:22] | a step-by-step guide to all of the nuances of your platform. | 制作一个详细的分步指南 |
[20:26] | Yeah. | 对啊 |
[20:26] | All of this with the caveat that you don’t have enough money | 所有这一切暗示 你没有足够的钱 |
[20:28] | – for even a minuscule ad buy. – Yes, that’s right. | -甚至连个小广告都买不起 -是 没错 |
[20:32] | That’s a pretty small target to hit. | 这个小目标很容易实现 |
[20:34] | Anyway, here’s what we came up with. | 总之 这是我们想到的 |
[20:40] | Oh, hello, welcome to Pied Piper. | 嗨 欢迎来到魔笛手 |
[20:44] | How can I help you? | 有什么需要效劳的 |
[20:49] | What in the name of fuck is that? | 这尼玛啥狗屁玩意 |
[20:52] | Well, his name is Pipey, | 他叫”小魔手” |
[20:56] | the Pied Piper Piper. | “魔笛手手” |
[20:59] | He’s fun. And, you know, the demo’s interactive. Just… | 挺好玩的 你们看 他还可以人机互动 就… |
[21:02] | Looks like you want to compress a movie file! | 看样子你想压缩一个电影文件 |
[21:05] | Can I help? You know, with Pied Piper’s revolutionary neural network, | 我能帮忙吗 借助魔笛手革命性的神经网络 |
[21:09] | optimized, sharded data distribution system, | 优化过的片化数据分配系统 |
[21:12] | it’s just six clicks away! Follow me! | 完成任务只需六次点击 跟我来 |
[21:17] | – I like it. – That’s a fuckin’ lie. | -我喜欢 -又他妈撒谎 |
[21:20] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[21:21] | So, Richard, you want us to take the most sophisticated | 理查德 你想让我们制作 |
[21:25] | and technically complex compression based platform | 有史以来最复杂且精密的压缩平台 |
[21:28] | – ever created and add that? – Still here! | -然后加上这个 -我还在哦 |
[21:34] | Well, after the booths at CES and South by Southwest, | 国际消费电子展和西南偏南大会上的展位 |
[21:39] | all of our outreach, the Dodge Challenger… | 所有的外展服务 “道奇挑战者”… |
[21:41] | Still here! | 我还在哦 |
[21:42] | Plus, all the cost of working up, you know, this, | 加上维护完善的费用 还有 这玩意 |
[21:46] | – we are pretty much all out of money. – Follow me! | -我们真的山穷水尽了 -跟我来 |
[21:53] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[21:55] | Somebody seems confused! | 某人看起来有点困惑哟 |
[21:57] | Let me walk you through Pied Piper’s proprietary | 让我带你了解魔笛手的专利设计 |
[22:00] | peer-to-peer content distribution system, consisting of… | 点对点容量分配系统 它由… |
[22:09] | Richard? Are you indisposed? | 理查德 你不舒服吗 |
[22:12] | Richard, can I come in? | 理查德 能进来吗 |
[22:16] | Richard, I’m… I’m sorry the guys didn’t like Pipey. | 理查德 我… 很遗憾他们不喜欢小魔手 |
[22:19] | It’s over, Jared. | 我们完了 杰瑞德 |
[22:22] | Well, you know, a lot of animated characters have rough starts. | 你知道 很多动画角色起初都很惨淡 |
[22:26] | Early Bugs Bunny cartoons were | 早期的兔八哥动画只是 |
[22:28] | just garish displays of anti-Japanese hysteria, | 反日浪潮的一种浮夸表现 |
[22:31] | and now he’s the face of Warner Bros. | 现在它可是华纳兄弟的招牌 |
[22:33] | I’m not talking about Pipey, Jared. I’m talking about Pied Piper. | 我没说小魔手 我说的是魔笛手 |
[22:37] | We’re dead. We fought Gavin Belson, Russ, Hooli, | 我们完了 我们胜了加文·贝尔森 罗斯 互利 |
[22:42] | the lawsuit, that fucking box, | 赢了官司 躲过他妈的盒子 |
[22:44] | all so we could build our platform the way we wanted to. | 历尽艰难才得以按我们的想法做平台 |
[22:46] | And we did, but I guess you just can’t fight public opinion, | 我们也做成了 可我认为 我们抗不过大众观念 |
[22:51] | except for one woman named Bernice. | 除了一位叫伯妮斯的女士 |
[22:56] | Face it, Jared, being too early is the same as being wrong. | 面对现实吧 杰瑞德 过早发行即是犯错 |
[23:04] | – We’ll figure it out. – I don’t know if we will. | -问题会解决的 -我很没信心啊 |
[23:09] | Besides, I think I’m getting tired of being kicked in the balls. | 我也厌倦了总为这些鸟事烦心 |
[23:12] | Come on, we have a few weeks of runway left. | 别这样 还剩几周的测试期 |
[23:15] | Uh, I don’t want to say exactly how much. | 不好说具体是多久 |
[23:17] | Again, I’m not comfortable estimating, but… | 真的 我不太习惯去预测 但… |
[23:19] | Take what’s left of it and divide it up amongst the guys. | 把剩下的钱取了 给大家分一分 |
[23:22] | I mean, it won’t be anywhere close | 虽然 数目和欠薪比 |
[23:24] | to what you’re owed in back pay, | 相差十万八千里 |
[23:25] | but at least it’s something. | 可至少也是钱 |
[23:27] | Don’t give up. Richard, come on, not yet. | 别放弃 理查德 加油 先别放弃 |
[23:30] | We’ve got to hang on, we’ve got to see what happens. | 我们得坚持住 我们要着眼当下 |
[23:32] | Something will turn around. I know it will. | 情况会好的 我知道的 |
[23:35] | -You really believe that? -Absolutely. | -你真这么想 -当然 |
[23:39] | Gilfoyle’s right, you’re… you’re a terrible liar. | 吉弗约尔说的对 你… 你撒谎太差了 |
[23:43] | Just, uh, set an all-hands for tomorrow at 9 a.m. | 明早九点召开全体会议 |
[23:48] | And I’ll… I’ll tell the gang. | 我… 我会告诉大伙 |
[23:51] | It’s over, Jared. | 都结束了 杰瑞德 |
[23:57] | And lastly, our deal to furnish Endframe boxes | 最后 我们把”尾帧”盒子供应给 |
[24:01] | to Maleant Data System Solutions has officially closed, | “雄蚁”数据公司的交易正式完成了 |
[24:03] | putting us far ahead of even the most optimistic | 交易额远超董事会发布的 |
[24:06] | profit targets issued by this very board. | 最乐观的利润目标 |
[24:09] | Gavin, it appears we owe you an apology. | 加文 看来我们该向你道歉 |
[24:13] | We’d like to restore your full status as CEO and chair | 我们想恢复你总裁和董事的全部职权 |
[24:16] | with a significantly revised bonus and stock options package. | 大规模提高你的分红和股票期权方案 |
[24:21] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:22] | Of course, apology accepted. | 当然 接受道歉 |
[24:24] | I would like nothing more than to move forward | 我最希望以和谐 |
[24:27] | in a harmonious and productive manner. | 且富有成效的方式前进 |
[24:30] | Actually, with that in mind, | 事实上 说到这儿 |
[24:32] | there’s something I’d like to show you. | 我想给你们看点东西 |
[24:34] | It’s outside. Is… is that all right? | 它在外面 没… 问题吗 |
[24:37] | A little field trip, if you will? | 就当是一次实地考察 |
[24:42] | Just down here. | 就在那边 |
[24:44] | A little farther. | 再走几步 |
[24:46] | We’re almost there. | 就快到了 |
[24:48] | Just out here, everyone. Almost there. | 就在那边 快到了 |
[24:57] | Consider the elephant. | 想想这头大象吧 |
[24:59] | Legend has it its memory is so robust it never forgets. | 据说它的记忆超强 终身不忘[暗指自己记仇] |
[25:06] | And I assure you, gentlemen of the Hooli board, | 容我提醒互利董事会的先生们 |
[25:08] | and lady, neither do I. | 和女士 我也一样 |
[25:24] | Okay, guys, | 伙计们 |
[25:27] | we need to have a serious discussion | 我们得认真讨论 |
[25:29] | about the future of the company. | 公司的前途问题 |
[25:34] | What? Why is everyone smiling? | 怎么了 干嘛都在笑 |
[25:36] | Richard, something happened last night. | 理查德 昨晚发生了些事 |
[25:38] | The daily active users are up, way up. | 日活跃用户量涨了 涨了很多 |
[25:43] | – Look at it. Look. – Really? | -看这数据 -真的吗 |
[25:45] | Holy shit! | 我擦 |
[25:47] | Did we just get 7,000 users in a day? | 一天增加了七千个用户吗 |
[25:50] | We sure did! We’re back! | 没错 我们杀回来了 |
[25:51] | I don’t know if it was the outreach or the tutorials, | 不知道是因为外展还是辅导 |
[25:54] | but we seem to be getting traction. | 可我们的吸引力似乎更强了 |
[25:56] | Richard, you pulled us out of a nosedive. | 理查德 你于飞机坠毁之际救了我们 |
[25:58] | Of course, inevitably, we will | 当然 我们最终还是会 |
[26:00] | run out of fuel and plummet towards the Earth, | 燃料耗尽 坠向地球 |
[26:04] | leaving only a crater behind of torn flesh and excrement, | 在碎肉和大便崩飞之后徒留一坑 |
[26:07] | but in the meantime, we are flying high! | 不过此刻 我们正展翅高飞呢 |
[26:10] | Yeah. I guess we are. | 对 是这样的 |
[26:12] | You know, it’s crazy, just last night I was, telling Jared | 这太疯狂了 就昨晚我还告诉杰瑞德 |
[26:15] | that I thought we should shut down the company. | 我觉得我们应该关门大吉 |
[26:17] | Well, perfect timing then, huh? | 时机完美 对吧 |
[26:24] | Uh, excuse me. I should get this. | 不好意思 我接个电话 |
[26:28] | Hey, Jared. | 杰瑞德 |
[26:32] | – Are those numbers legit? – Of course. | -这些数据合法吗 -当然 |
[26:36] | – All right, then. – This is Jared. | -那没事了 -我是杰瑞德 |
[26:39] | So, are we happy? | 觉得满意吗 |
[26:41] | Yeah. Worked out great. | 是的 卓有成效 |
[26:43] | So let’s keep the 7,000 users that I bought | 替我保住我买的这七千个用户 |
[26:47] | and add another thousand a day for the next week. | 下周再每天增加一千个 |
[26:51] | You got it, buddy. | 收到 伙计 |