英文名称:Starting Out in the Evening
年代:2007
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[02:14] | Heather wolfe, I presume. | 你是希瑟·沃尔夫吧 |
[02:16] | Yeah. professor schiller. I can’t believe it’s you. | 是的 席勒教授 真不敢相信能见到您 |
[02:20] | I can’t believe it’s me either. please, sit down. | 我自己也觉得难以置信 请坐 |
[02:31] | What’ll you have, professor? | 你要点什么 教授? |
[02:33] | You go first. | 你先点吧 |
[02:35] | I’ll have a blt and a cup of coffee. | 我要培根生菜番茄三明治 再加一杯咖啡 |
[02:37] | And I’d like a baked potato, no salt… | 我要烤土豆 不加盐 |
[02:39] | No butter, no sour cream. I know. | 还有不要黄油和酸奶油 我都能背下来了 |
[02:41] | Tea, skim milk, no sugar. | 茶 脱脂牛奶 不加糖 |
[02:44] | Thank you, dolores. | 谢谢你 多洛莉丝 |
[02:46] | I’m not allowed to put butter on anything anymore. | 我所有的一切都不能和黄油沾边了 |
[02:48] | I had a heart attack last year. I had surgery. | 我去年心脏病发 还动了手术 |
[02:51] | They cracked me open like a lobster. | 他们就像剥龙虾一样把我撬开 |
[02:53] | Oh, that must have been very scary. | 那一定很吓人 |
[02:55] | Well, it did tend to concentrate the mind. | 不过那确实有利于集中注意力 |
[02:57] | I can imagine. | 我能想象 |
[03:01] | …you’ve embarked on a project of questionable merit. | 你所专注的课题前途堪忧 |
[03:05] | You’re doing a study on me. | 你要研究我 |
[03:07] | I think it’s a very worthy project. | 我觉得非常值得 |
[03:09] | I’m flattered by your interest. | 我可是受宠若惊 |
[03:11] | But I’m afraid I can’t be able of any help. | 但恐怕我帮不上什么忙 |
[03:13] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[03:15] | – miss wolfe… – heather. | -沃尔夫小姐 -叫我希瑟 |
[03:17] | I’m trying to finish a novel. | 我正在创作一部小说 |
[03:20] | My one remaining goal in life is to finish it. | 我余生的愿望就是完成它 |
[03:22] | I’m not in good health and I just can’t afford to spend time… | 我的身体状况不佳 花费时间来讨论 |
[03:27] | …discussing four old novels that aren’t even in print any more. | 四部不再出版的小说对我来说太过奢侈 |
[03:30] | The sound and the fury would have gone out of print in the 40’s… | 如果马尔科姆·考利没有出版《袖珍本福克纳》 |
[03:33] | …if malcolm cowley hadn’t published the portable faulkner. | 《喧哗与骚动》在四十年代就停印了 |
[03:35] | And you’re going to save me from obscurity with a portable schiller? | 你是不是要写一本《袖珍本席勒文集》来让我免于被人遗忘? |
[03:39] | – is that the idea? – something like that. | -你是这么想的吗? -差不多吧 |
[03:42] | I’ve had several pieces published, | 我已经有些关于斯坦利·厄尔肯的文章 |
[03:43] | most recently on stanley elkin in illuminata. | 在《明鉴》上发表了 |
[03:46] | – maybe you saw it? – no I haven’t. | -也许你已经读过了 -没有 |
[03:48] | It’s not a question of my doubting you… | 并不是我怀疑你 |
[03:50] | it’s just that I must avoid anything that will distract me from my own work. | 只是我得避开一切让我分心的事情 |
[03:55] | And your project, however flattering, is really a distraction. | 而虽然我喜欢你的课题 但那会让我分心的 |
[03:59] | So I’m afraid I must say no. | 所以恐怕我不得不拒绝 |
[04:08] | May I ask one favor? | 那您能帮个忙吗? |
[04:18] | If I do have a copy, it would be in my bedroom. | 如果我还有样本的话 应该在我的卧室里 |
[04:23] | Do you think I could have a look at the room where you write? | 我可以看看你写作的地方吗? |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1320个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:260个,六级词汇:141个,GRE词汇:129个,托福词汇:219个,考研词汇:288个,专四词汇:260个,专八词汇:46个, 所有生词标注共:501个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[04:28] | I suppose so. it’s those doors behind you. | 可以 在你身后的房间就是了 |
[04:32] | Don’t touch anything. | 别乱碰 |
[06:11] | Hello? | 你是? |
[06:15] | Are you a burglar? | 你是小偷? |
[06:18] | Not professionally. | 业余的 |
[06:20] | Well, it’s good to have a hobby. | 有个兴趣爱好挺好的 |
[06:22] | I found it. | 我找到了 |
[06:23] | – oh, hello, darling. – hi. | -你好 亲爱的 -嗨 |
[06:25] | Heather, this is my daughter, ariel. | 希瑟 这是我的女儿 艾瑞尔 |
[06:28] | Ariel, this is heather wolfe. she’s writing her master’s thesis… | 艾瑞尔 这是希瑟·沃尔夫 我也不知道是为什么 |
[06:31] | …for some unknown reason, about me. | 总之她坚持要写一篇关于我作品的硕士论文 |
[06:34] | Well, here’s that copy of the lost city. | 这就是《逝去之城》的样本 |
[06:37] | It’s like a sacred text. | 就像圣书一样 |
[06:39] | I believe there’s only one copy of it left in the world. | 我想世上大概只有这么一本了 |
[06:43] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[06:44] | I can’t believe I left my copy in providence. | 我不敢相信我把自己的那本落在了普若温迪斯 |
[06:46] | But I can return this next week when I go back for the rest of my things. | 不过下礼拜我回去拿东西的时候就能还回来了 |
[06:49] | Fine. you can leave it with the doorman. | 好的 你可以托门卫转交 |
[06:51] | So, dad, are we still on for movie night? | 爸爸 我们今晚还看电影吗? |
[06:53] | I picked up notorious and the shop around the corner. | 我买了《美人计》和《街角的商店》的票 |
[06:55] | Would you mind terribly if I took a rain check? | 你介不介意改天再看? |
[06:57] | i really have a lot of work. | 我还有很多工作要做 |
[06:59] | No problem. I was in the neighborhood giving a private. | 没事 我还要去社区里办点事 |
[07:01] | So I should get out of your way. I’m interrupting… | 我可不能再打扰你们了 我得走了 |
[07:03] | No, it’s alright. heather was just about to leave. | 没关系 希瑟正要走 |
[07:05] | Oh, yeah. I got to fight that traffic back to hoboken. | 是啊 谁知道到霍博肯会不会堵车 |
[07:09] | – you have a car? – yeah. do you need a ride? | -你有车? -是的 你要搭便车吗? |
[07:11] | That would be great. give me two minutes. | 好的 等我两分钟 |
[07:13] | Alright. | 好 |
[07:28] | I respect your decision, professor schiller… | 席勒教授 我尊重你的决定 |
[07:31] | …but I can’t help but think that you’ve made up your mind too quickly. | 但我还是认为你做的决定太过草率了 |
[07:35] | Young lady, I haven’t done anything too quickly in years. | 年轻人 这些年我从未草率过 |
[07:38] | Maybe the best thing for your health… | 也许对你的健康最有益处的事 |
[07:40] | …would be to have a fascinating young woman in your life. | 就是交识一位可以陪伴你的年轻女性 |
[07:42] | Miss wolfe. | 沃尔夫小姐 |
[07:49] | Promise me you’ll give me a chance. | 请给我一次机会 |
[08:05] | So, what’s it like to be the daughter of a great writer? | 身为伟大作家的女儿感觉如何? |
[08:08] | You think he’s a great writer? | 你觉得他很伟大吗? |
[08:09] | Don’t you? | 你不这么觉得? |
[08:10] | Yeah, but he’s my father. | 不是的 可他是我父亲 |
[08:12] | The truth is, I’m not really much of a reader. | 事实上 我不是那么喜欢阅读 |
[08:14] | i’m more of an action person. | 我不是那种能安静下来读书的人 |
[08:15] | That’s right, you’re a dancer. | 那当然 你是个舞者 |
[08:17] | Yes. you read about me in his second novel… | 你是在他的第二本小说里读到我的吧 |
[08:20] | …the difficult birth, the tumultuous childhood… | 艰难的出世 喧嚣的童年 |
[08:23] | …the unquenchable desire to dance. | 无法抑制的舞蹈的冲动 |
[08:26] | So are you still dancing? | 你现在还跳舞吗? |
[08:28] | No. I teach pilates, and yoga, and exercise. | 不了 我教普拉提和瑜伽 还做健身教练 |
[08:30] | That’s what happens to dancers when they die. | 这就是舞者职业生涯消亡后能做的事情 |
[08:33] | Right up here, this is just fine. | 就在这停下好了 |
[08:37] | Thank you for the lift. | 谢谢你的顺风车 |
[08:39] | I’m going to reintroduce your father’s work to the world. | 我要让你父亲的作品重新为世人所知晓 |
[08:42] | I know an editor at the university of chicago press who’s very interested. | 我知道芝加哥大学出版社有一个编辑很有兴趣 |
[08:46] | Cool. | 棒极了 |
[08:47] | – it was nice meeting you. – you too. okay. | -认识你很高兴 -我也是 |
[08:57] | – hey, listen, it’s not as bad as chicago. – casey davis, back in town. | -芝加哥可比它糟多了 -凯西·戴维斯回来了 |
[09:00] | Very good to have you back. | 你回来真好 |
[09:03] | – great to see you. – alright, thank you. | -见到你很高兴 -谢谢 |
[09:07] | – bye. – bye. | -再见 -再见 |
[09:21] | I have two casey davises. a dr… casey davis on fifth avenue. | 我这登记有两个凯西·戴维斯 一个第五大道的凯西·戴维斯医生 |
[09:25] | No. | 不是 |
[09:26] | And a casey davis on 107th street. | 还有一个107号大街的凯西·戴维斯 |
[09:28] | Is that a new listing? | 是最近登记的吗? |
[09:30] | Yes, it is. | 没错 |
[09:31] | I’ll take it. | 那就是这个了 |
[09:32] | The number. is 646-555-4325. | 号码是646-555-4325 |
[10:00] | “now he understood that our birth into the world of the body… | 现在他顿悟到我们降临到这个世界 |
[10:04] | …is only our first birth, and by no means the most important. | 只是初次的诞生 也绝不是最重要的 |
[10:08] | He was labor, this beautiful labor, on his second birth. | 第二次的重生 他是一名劳役 一名美丽的劳役 |
[10:13] | He was undoing the threads that kept him bound to the body. | 他解开缚于肉体的桎梏 |
[10:16] | To dissolve them was to become a creature of light. | 还自由于一片纯白的圣洁 |
[10:21] | He thought about one of the threads and it dissolved. | 他惑于桎梏 解于自由 |
[10:25] | He never knew that liberation could be so simple… | 他从不知晓自由的获取是如此的简单 |
[10:28] | …so full of joy.” | 又是如此的愉悦 |
[10:41] | Charles. | 查尔斯 |
[10:42] | Leonard schiller. it’s been forever. how are you? | 里昂纳多·席勒 好久不见 怎么样? |
[10:45] | I can’t complain. how are things over at grb? | 还不错 grb(时尚品牌)的工作怎么样? |
[10:48] | Oh, I left there 15 years ago. I’m at mulberry. | 我十五年前就跳槽了 我现在在mulberry(时尚品牌) |
[10:51] | Well, that’s very impressive. | 很不错嘛 |
[10:53] | Yeah, you know, a little hard work. a lot of luck. | 小小的努力加上好运气罢了 |
[10:55] | But how are you? are you still writing? | 你怎么样? 还在写作吗? |
[10:59] | Well, yes. yes, of course. | 当然 |
[11:00] | As a matter of fact, | 事实上 |
[11:01] | i’m just putting the finishing touches on my new novel. | 我正在做小说的收尾工作 |
[11:04] | I’d really be happy to send it over to you as soon as it’s finished. | 一完工我就送去给你过目 |
[11:07] | Leonard, I respect you too much to blow smoke. | 希瑟 我对你的敬仰如滔滔江水连绵不绝 |
[11:09] | This business has turned into the film industry. it’s all about the name. | 但这个行业已经和电影联姻了 谁有名谁就牛 |
[11:14] | Literary novels are such a tough sell, anyway. | 纯文学小说很难卖 |
[11:16] | It would be hard to get anyone on board. | 也很难找到合伙人 |
[11:18] | To tell you the truth, most of the business… | 说实在的 现在出版的 |
[11:20] | …is celebrity confessions and self-help books. | 不是名人自传就是自助书籍 |
[11:23] | Right. well, I understand. | 我明白 |
[11:26] | It’s good to see you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[11:27] | You too, charles. | 我也是 查尔斯 |
[11:55] | It was really nice meeting you. | 遇到你很高兴 |
[11:58] | Alright, take care. bye bye. | 好的 保重 拜拜 |
[12:02] | She’s a friend of yours? | 她是你的朋友? |
[12:03] | No. just another woman nearing 40 obsessed with her biological clock. | 不是 只是一个年近不惑有些更年期的女人 |
[12:07] | You know, you have the same gift your mother had. | 你继承了你母亲的性格 |
[12:09] | That ability to strike up a conversation with complete strangers. | 可以和完全陌生的人胡侃 |
[12:13] | Yeah, except mom made a career of it. I’m just a blabbermouth. | 嗯 妈妈倒是因此出人头地 我只是个长舌妇 |
[12:16] | You’d be a wonderful therapist yourself. | 你可以成为一个很好的治疗师 |
[12:18] | You used to talk about going back to school to become one. | 你曾经说要回到学校进修 |
[12:21] | Let’s be honest, dad. the time for going back to school has passed me by. | 我们面对现实吧 爸爸 回炉温习的时机早过了 |
[12:24] | Oh, that’s nonsense, ariel. you’re so young. you’re so full of potential. | 胡说 你这么年轻 这么有潜力 |
[12:28] | It’s a little late to be talking potential. | 现在说潜力已经晚了 |
[12:31] | That grad student heather. now, she’s young. she has potential. | 那个研究生希瑟 她才年轻 才有潜力 |
[12:34] | What time is it? | 几点了? |
[12:36] | It’s 9:30. | 九点半 |
[12:37] | 9:30. I got to go see victor. | 我要去找维克托了 |
[12:39] | Oh, victor’s back in the picture. well, that’s good. | 哦 你们又在一起了 很好 |
[12:42] | I always liked victor. he’s a very decent man. | 我一直很欣赏维克托 他挺不错的 |
[12:45] | He’s kind. he’s hard-working. | 他人好又勤奋 |
[12:46] | Maybe you should marry him. | 也许你该和他结婚 |
[12:48] | Well, if I were nearing 40 and anxious to start a family… | 如果我快到40 又急着要成家的话 |
[12:51] | …i probably would. he’s a good catch. | 我大概会的 他是个很好的选择 |
[12:53] | Not every guy I’ve dated in the past five years has been a good catch, | 并不是我过去五年约会过的每一个人都是好选择 |
[12:56] | right? | 是吧? |
[12:57] | Every guy but casey. | 至少凯西不是 |
[12:59] | I make no apologies of my opinion of casey. | 我不为我对凯西说的话而道歉 |
[13:02] | I wish him a long and prosperous life, so long as he prospers in chicago. | 我希望他过的快乐 活得开心 只要他在芝加哥就行 |
[13:05] | And I’m sure you don’t feel any differently. | 我很肯定你也觉得也不会有什么不一样 |
[13:07] | No. I don’t. do you want to share a cab with me? I have to go. | 是啊 你要和我一起坐出租车吗? 我要走了 |
[13:10] | You go ahead, darling. I’m going to stay and browse. | 你去吧 亲爱的 我再看看 |
[13:13] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[13:14] | – bye, dad. – bye. | -爸爸 再见 -再见 |
[14:04] | It must be so creepy being around drug dealers all day. | 整天和毒贩打交道一定令你毛骨悚然吧 |
[14:06] | Your neck is a mass of knots. | 你颈部的肌肉还真结实 |
[14:08] | The drug dealers are actually the nice guys. | 毒贩子其实人还不错 |
[14:11] | They’re always polite. they never tell you they’re innocent. | 他们彬彬有礼 也从不宣称自己无罪 |
[14:15] | Tell me something, victor. | 跟我说说 维克托 |
[14:18] | Why did you become a lawyer? | 你为什么开始做律师的? |
[14:21] | I was deeply in love with the majesty of the law. | 我膜拜法律的庄严 |
[14:24] | Really? | 真的? |
[14:26] | Yeah, right. I was an english major. | 没错 我主修英语 |
[14:28] | What’s an english major going to do in the real world? nothing. | 一个主修英文的人能有什么作为? 一事无成 |
[14:32] | So I went to law school. | 所以我去读法律 |
[14:54] | What’s up? stay. I’ll make you french toast for breakfast. | 怎么了? 留下来 我早餐给你烤法国土司 |
[14:58] | No, I can’t. I have a 7:30 in the morning. I got to get home. | 不行 我七点半还有课 我得回家了 |
[15:22] | Anybody there? | 有人吗? |
[15:36] | I’m so glad you called. | 我很高兴你打电话给我了 |
[15:38] | It was an unexpected surprise. | 真是让我喜出望外 |
[15:41] | Please come in. | 请进 |
[15:45] | When you were writing tenderness, were you reading a lot of d.h. lawrence? | 您写《温柔》的时候 是不是读了很多劳伦斯的作品 |
[15:48] | A new york jew imitates d.h. lawrence at his own peril. | 纽约的犹太人才会冒天下之大不韪模仿劳伦斯 |
[15:52] | Oh, no, I didn’t say you imitated him. | 我不是说你模仿他 |
[15:55] | But you do remind me of him… | 但你给赋予你的人物说”不”的权利 |
[15:57] | …in the way that you give your characters room to reject things. | 这让我联想到了他 |
[16:00] | Like in tenderness, you allow ellen to walk away from her marriage… | 就像在《温柔》中 你让艾伦逃离了婚姻 |
[16:04] | …without ever portraying her as cruel. | 却未将她描写为一个无情的人 |
[16:08] | She did what she needed to do. | 她只是做了该做的 |
[16:09] | Yes, that’s what I mean. that you give your characters freedom. | 我就是这个意思 你赋予了人物自由 |
[16:12] | It’s not mine to give. | 那不是我给的自由 |
[16:14] | What I give them is the freedom to find their own way. | 而是他们的自由去寻找一条属于自己的路 |
[16:30] | So when you start a book, do you have the story clearly in mind? | 当你开始写书的时候 脑中是否有个框架呢 |
[16:34] | No. never. I wish I did. | 没有 从未有过 我倒这么希望 |
[16:37] | I always start with a character. | 我总是从一个人物入手 |
[16:42] | In tenderness I had a picture of a woman being asked to leave a museum… | 写《温柔》时我脑海中出现的是一个女人因为 |
[16:46] | …because she’d run her hand over one of the statues. | 触碰了一座雕像而被驱逐出博物馆的场景 |
[16:49] | And I had no idea who she was… | 我也不知道她到底是谁 |
[16:50] | …or why she was touching the statue. | 为什么在抚摸那个雕像 |
[16:53] | I wrote the book to find out. | 为了找到答案我写了一本书 |
[16:55] | How do you find out? | 你怎么找到答案的? |
[16:56] | You follow the characters around… | 你跟着人物发展 |
[16:58] | …waiting for them to do something interesting. | 等待他们做一些有趣的事情 |
[17:01] | Sometimes they do so right away. sometimes… | 有时候他们很快就行动 有时候 |
[17:05] | …i follow them around for months… | 我跟随着他们几个月 |
[17:07] | …only to find that they don’t do anything interesting at all. | 结果却发现他们没有做出任何有趣的事 |
[17:11] | Is that what’s taking you so long to finish your current novel? | 就因为这么做 你现在这本小说写了才这么久? |
[17:19] | I think it would be in your interest to know… | 我想也许你会觉得这个问题很有趣 |
[17:21] | …you’ve just hit upon the worst question you could ask a writer. | 但实际上你问了个对作家最不该问的问题 |
[17:29] | The book is taking so long… | 这本书写了这么久 |
[17:30] | …because following one’s characters around takes stamina. | 是因为构思一个人物的发展需要精力 |
[17:35] | I’m old. I’m having trouble keeping up. | 我老了 连续工作变得很困难 |
[17:38] | I notice you’ve made several references to being old. | 我注意到你好几次提到自己变老了 |
[17:41] | I can’t help but wonder if you’re using your age to mask a deeper conflict? | 我想你在用年龄来掩盖更严重的问题 |
[17:49] | Miss wolfe. | 沃尔夫女士 |
[17:52] | I agreed to assist you in your enterprise… | 我很支持你的工作 |
[17:54] | …because you strike me as a serious young woman. | 因为你的认真和年轻打动了我 |
[17:57] | However, this is our first interview, and there is such a thing as decorum. | 但是 这是我们第一次碰面 应该注意礼节 |
[18:02] | Point taken. | 我会注意的 |
[18:05] | However, should you encounter any shortcomings in my thesis… | 不过 如果你能在我的论文里找出问题 |
[18:09] | …i hope you wouldn’t allow me to use my youth as a defense. | 我想你不会允许我以年轻作为借口 |
[18:14] | Okay, then. | 那好吧 |
[18:16] | Point taken. | 我知道了 |
[18:23] | Are you sure about this, dad? won’t this be a distraction from your book? | 你确定吗 这可能会影响你的写作 |
[18:26] | Not necessarily. she seems like a very intelligent young woman. | 不一定 她像个聪明的女人 |
[18:30] | Well, I’m sure she is, but you’ve always been so inflexible… | 这点我相信 但是过去你对影响你 |
[18:33] | …about letting anything take you away from your work. | 写作的事情从不妥协 |
[18:35] | And you’ve argued convincingly… | 你却成功证明了 |
[18:37] | …that a little deviation may be exactly what I need. | 我现在缺少的正是一点”不务正业” |
[18:39] | Oh, dad, I meant a few extra laps around the reservoir. | 老爸 我说的是让你在水池边散散步 |
[18:42] | Well, I appreciate your looking after me, darling… | 感谢你为我着想 孩子 |
[18:46] | …but don’t worry. | 不过别担心 |
[18:47] | It’s just a few interviews, and off she goes. | 只是几次采访 完了她就走人 |
[18:51] | Oh, by the way… | 顺便说一下 |
[18:53] | …an old student of mine is having a book release party on saturday. | 我的一个学生这周六有一个新书发布酒会 |
[18:57] | Would you like to come? | 你愿意来吗 |
[18:58] | I can’t. I have a date with victor. | 恐怕不行 我和维克托有约会 |
[19:00] | Oh, I’m glad you’re keeping an open mind about him. | 我很高兴你对他的态度开始明确了 |
[19:03] | Well, dad, seeing that I’m nearing the big four-o… | 老爸 既然我都快四十岁了 |
[19:07] | …l’ve decided to make a bold move. I’m going to have a baby. | 我决定大胆的行动 我想要个孩子 |
[19:11] | Oh, that’s wonderful. | 那太好了 |
[19:14] | I’m so happy for you. | 我替你高兴 |
[19:16] | I must confess, I’m a bit surprised. | 我得承认 我有点吃惊 |
[19:18] | The last time we spoke… | 上次我们聊天 |
[19:20] | …you didn’t seem very enthusiastic about victor. | 你对维克托的热情不高 |
[19:22] | I’m not. he doesn’t know about it. | 确实 他还不知道这件事 |
[19:25] | It’s a solo project. | 这是我的个人计划 |
[19:27] | What do you mean, a solo project? | 个人计划是什么意思 |
[19:29] | Dad, let’s face the facts. I’m not getting any younger. | 爸爸 现实情况是我已经不再年轻了 |
[19:33] | If I can’t have a family, I want to have a child before it’s too late. | 如果我不成家 就没机会生个孩子了 |
[19:36] | So I’ve stopped taking precautions with victor… | 所以我没做避孕措施 |
[19:38] | …and hopefully the stars will line up for me. | 希望老天爷赐给我一个孩子 |
[19:41] | Ariel, darling, I sympathize with your predicament… | 艾瑞尔 宝贝 我同情你的处境 |
[19:43] | …but you’re acting out of desperation. | 但是这是你的绝望之举 |
[19:45] | not to mention the moral implications. | 如果牵扯到道德人伦之类的就会更糟了 |
[19:48] | Here we go. | 你又来了 |
[19:49] | It’s dishonest and a violation of victor’s trust in you. | 这不诚实 也破坏了维克托对你的信任 |
[19:52] | Well, dad, maybe the characters in your books… | 爸爸 也许你书中的人物 |
[19:55] | …have the luxury of grappling with moral issues, | 可以大谈特谈道德问题 |
[19:58] | but I’m in the real world. | 但是我生存在真实世界中 |
[20:30] | In tenderness… | 在《温柔》这本书里 |
[20:31] | you portray the breakdown of ellen and ira’s marriage with such brutal honesty… | 你如此直白的描绘艾伦和艾雅婚姻的破裂 |
[20:35] | …that it’s tempting to assume it’s drawn from personal experience. | 让人不得不假设它是基于您个人的经历 |
[20:38] | Miss wolfe, the writer’s words are his fingerprints. | 沃尔夫女士 作家的文字就像是他们的指纹 |
[20:42] | The writer himself should be forgotten. | 而作者本身则应该被忽略 |
[20:44] | Right, but you’d agree that knowing what we do about hemingway’s life… | 对 您不得不承认 研究海明威的一生 |
[20:47] | …informs any serious discussion of his work. | 帮助我们理解了很多他的著作 |
[20:49] | Perhaps. but there’s still no substitute… | 也许吧 但是没有认真 |
[20:51] | …for two or three close readings of the sun also rises. | 阅读过他的名作两三遍也是不行的 |
[20:56] | I’ve had many close readings of all of your novels. | 我认真读过你的小说好几遍 |
[20:59] | I still think that it might be illuminating for us… | 我仍然认为我们坐下来 |
[21:01] | …to spend a little of our time together… | 一起聊聊文字背后的人物 |
[21:03] | …discussing the man behind the words. | 对我们都有好处 |
[21:06] | I thought this was meant to be a critical analysis of my work… | 我以为访问是针对我的作品的分析 |
[21:09] | …not a magazine profile. | 而不是杂志传略 |
[21:11] | Well, I’m looking for the theme of my thesis, professor. | 我在为我的论文寻找主题 教授 |
[21:16] | And I think it’s unfair of you to accuse me of writing some puff piece… | 因为我要求和你谈论小说现实原型 你就指责我的 |
[21:19] | because I’ve asked you to discuss any biographical origins of your fiction. | 论文不切实际 这不公平 |
[21:22] | Well, my god. | 我的主啊 |
[21:25] | Can’t a writer draw from his life… | 一个作家描绘自己的人生 |
[21:27] | …without being accused of autobiography? | 就一定是自传性质的吗? |
[21:29] | Do you at least concede… | 这是不是说你最终承认了 |
[21:31] | …that your first two novels were more tied to you personally? | 你开始的两部小说和你个人经历联系很大? |
[21:34] | Well, now you’re answering your own question. | 那你是在自问自答 |
[21:39] | If you’ll excuse me for a minute. | 不好意思 我离开一下 |
[22:21] | I’m a little tired. | 我有点累了 |
[22:25] | Why don’t we make this your last question til next week. | 这个问题我们下周在继续讨论吧 |
[22:28] | Oh, of course. | 当然可以 |
[22:37] | Ellen in your first book… | 你第一本书里的艾伦 |
[22:39] | …is very similar to beth in your second. | 和你第二本书里的贝丝很相似 |
[22:43] | And those women were so ahead of their time… | 她们都超越了她们的时代 |
[22:45] | …in how they refused to sacrifice their lives… | 因为她们拒绝为了丈夫的幸福 |
[22:47] | …for the sake of their husbands’ happiness. | 而牺牲自己的人生 |
[22:50] | And then no character resembling her appears in the next two, so… | 之后的两本书中再没有相似的人物形象 |
[22:56] | …what happened to her? | 她怎么了 |
[22:58] | She died late one evening… | 一个深夜她死于 |
[23:00] | …on an icy stretch of the taconic parkway. | 塔康山冰雪路面的交通事故 |
[23:03] | But ellen doesn’t die. she moves to paris… | 但是艾伦没有死 她搬到巴黎了 |
[23:11] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[23:16] | That was insensitive of me. | 我太迟钝了 |
[23:18] | Don’t be sorry. you had no way of knowing. | 不用道歉 你当然不知道这些 |
[23:35] | I concede this, miss wolfe. | 我承认 沃尔夫女士 |
[23:38] | I have, in my writing, occasionally drawn from my own life. | 我写作中有时会描绘我自己的人生 |
[23:41] | But only in the spirit of objectivity. | 但都是非常客观的 |
[24:04] | You know, I never told you… | 我从没告诉过你 |
[24:07] | …why your books are so important to me. | 为什么你的书对我这么重要 |
[24:09] | No. | 你没说过 |
[24:12] | Your novels set me free. | 你的小说解开了我思想的枷锁 |
[24:15] | Growing up, you know, I always felt like an alien. | 我长大了 我以前活的很像个外星人 |
[24:19] | I never really fit in anywhere, especially not cleveland heights. | 我从不合群 特别是在克利夫兰高中 |
[24:24] | But I always found solace in writing and books. | 但是写作和书籍给我很大安慰 |
[24:28] | And then I had this english teacher who encouraged me… | 有位英语老师鼓励我 |
[24:31] | …to apply to this early entrance program at brown… | 提前进入布朗大学 |
[24:35] | …where they allow you to skip your last year of high school. | 因为可以跳过高中的最后一年 |
[24:39] | And I got in, but… | 我申请到了 但是 |
[24:42] | …i had this boyfriend, who was brilliant. | 我有一个出色的男朋友 |
[24:45] | He was a brilliant writer and musician. | 文章写的好 还爱好音乐 |
[24:48] | And at the prospect of my leaving… | 看到我要离开 |
[24:51] | …he really started coming apart. | 他开始疏远我 |
[24:55] | And I had all but made up my mind not to go. | 我只能下定决心不走了 |
[24:58] | So I did what I always do in times of great uncertainty. | 所以在那段时间里我很迷茫 |
[25:01] | I went to the books. I went to the library, and… | 我只能像以前一样沉醉于书籍 我去图书馆 |
[25:07] | And that’s when I found you. | 然后看到了你的书 |
[25:10] | I found tenderness, and… | 我看到了《温柔》 |
[25:14] | …i sat on the floor in the stacks… | 我坐在书架中的地板上 |
[25:17] | …and I read the whole book. | 把整本书都看了 |
[25:19] | And by the time I finished, and the library was closing around me… | 我看完的时候 图书馆快要关门了 |
[25:23] | I knew what I had to do. | 突然我知道自己要做什么了 |
[25:25] | You decided to go to brown. | 我决定去布朗 |
[25:27] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[25:30] | You gave me the courage to live my own life. | 你的书赐我新生 |
[25:39] | Freedom isn’t the choice the world encourages. | 这个世界激励着你去获取自由 |
[25:41] | You have to wear a suit of armor to defend it. | 你就必须得披上盔甲为之战斗 |
[25:46] | Yeah, you’ve always explained my life to me… | 你总是能用比我想象中更同情的语气 |
[25:49] | …more sympathetically than I could explain it to myself. | 来点评我的人生 |
[25:52] | I’m glad I could be of some small service. | 我很高兴能帮上忙 |
[25:55] | What happened to the boyfriend? | 男朋友后来怎么样了 |
[25:57] | Oh, he got over it. | 他把我全忘了 |
[26:01] | Well, have patience. | 不用心急 |
[26:04] | It’s the slowest elevator on the upper west side. | 那是上西区最慢的电梯 |
[26:07] | Nice to have seen you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[26:31] | Fir. st unheard message. | 一条未接消息 |
[26:33] | Hello heather., this is leonard schiller… | 你好希瑟 我是里昂纳多·席勒 |
[26:37] | This saturday evening I’ll be attending a book release party. | 这周六我要参加一个新书发布酒会 |
[26:40] | If you think you might find the occasion of interest to you… | 如果你觉得有兴趣的话 |
[26:43] | …you ‘re certainly welcome to join me. thank you. bye. | 欢迎你一起来 谢谢 再见 |
[27:04] | Oh, wait a second. | 等一下 |
[27:06] | – why? – wait a second. | – 怎么了 – 等一下 |
[27:07] | Why? | 怎么了 |
[27:12] | What about your diaphragm? | 你的避孕膜怎么办 |
[27:16] | Right. | 没错 |
[27:40] | There are some heavy-hitters here, leonard. | 这有不少大人物的 里昂纳多 |
[27:42] | You didn’t tell me you move in such lofty circles. | 你没说我们要来这样一个牛人云集的地方 |
[27:44] | Well, I’m not out of circulation yet. | 我现在还算一线作家 |
[27:47] | That’s robert randolph. he wrote time out of mind. | 那是罗勃·诺多夫 他写过《被遗忘的时光》 |
[27:50] | I’ve never heard of it. | 我没听说过 |
[27:51] | Oh, it’s one of my favorite books from last year. | 那是我去年最喜欢的一本书 |
[27:54] | You should read it. it’s brilliant. | 你应该读一读 非常好看 |
[27:56] | That’s a nice tie, by the way. is that new? | 领带很漂亮 是新的吗 |
[27:59] | No, I’ve had this for years. | 不是 我用了好多年了 |
[28:03] | Oh, my god. will you excuse me for a minute? | 天哪 失陪一下 |
[28:09] | Hi. my name is heather wolfe… | 你好 我叫希瑟·沃尔夫 |
[28:11] | …and you rejected two of my book reviews. | 你拒绝了我的两个书评 |
[28:15] | Heather wolfe. | 希瑟·沃尔夫 |
[28:17] | I can’t say I remember them. I guess they weren’t very good. | 我不记得书评了 我想它们不是很出色 |
[28:20] | Well, I just wanted to tell you I loved your article last spring… | 我只是想说我非常欣赏你去年春天那篇 |
[28:24] | …about max’s kansas city. it was the best piece in the voice in years. | 关于肯萨斯州最大城市的文章 它是最棒的 |
[28:27] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[28:29] | But I also thought you weren’t saying everyghing you knew about lou reed. | 我想你还有些关于洛·瑞德的事没说吧 |
[28:32] | Maybe you were pulling your punches? | 也许你隐瞒什么? |
[28:37] | Maybe I do remember those reviews. | 也许我还记得那两个书评 |
[28:39] | You’re a graduate student somewhere, aren’t you? | 你是个大学的研究生 对不对 |
[28:41] | Yeah, at brown. | 是 我是布朗大学的 |
[28:50] | What is your master’s thesis about? she asked in trepidation. | 你的硕士论文是关于什么的? 窃窃问一声 |
[28:54] | It’s a critical biography of a great american novelist. | 一个美国作家的自传 |
[28:57] | Who? | 哪位作家 |
[28:59] | Him. | 就是他 |
[29:01] | Who is he? | 他是谁 |
[29:03] | That’s leonard schiller. | 他叫里昂纳多·席勒 |
[29:06] | Tenderness? | 《温柔》 |
[29:09] | The lost city? | 《逝去之城》 |
[29:10] | I know the name. he was one of the new york intellectuals… | 我知道这个名字 他是纽约书匠之一 |
[29:13] | …bellow, schwartz. | 还有贝洛·斯洛兹 |
[29:16] | To be honest, I was never really interested in that crowd. | 说实话 我对这个圈子里的那些 |
[29:18] | I imagine them as a bunch of white guys in suits, going to bed early. | 西装革履早起早睡的人没兴趣 |
[29:38] | It’s bad luck to make love without knowing your fortune. | 不看黄历就上床会走霉运 |
[29:43] | No, not that one. try this one. I have a good feeling about this one. | 不是那是 试试这个 我有好的预感 |
[29:52] | So, what does your fortune say? | 那上面怎么说什么? |
[30:04] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[30:07] | Maybe I moved too fast. | 也许我进展的有点快了 |
[30:10] | Let’s table the whole marriage thing. we’ll go back to the way things were. | 我们审视一下婚姻 一切都会变好的 |
[30:14] | I’m sorry. I can’t. | 对不起 我不能 |
[30:15] | Don’t be sorry. I just thought we were good together. | 不必道歉 我觉得我们在一起很好 |
[30:20] | Victor, it’s not you. it’s me. | 维克托 问题不在你 在我 |
[30:22] | Oh, I hate it when people say that because they’re usually lying. | 我讨厌这么说 因为那都是谎话 |
[30:25] | I know. but I’m not. | 我理解 但是我没说谎 |
[30:28] | Don’t leave. | 别走 |
[30:29] | I have to. | 我必须要走 |
[30:31] | Two minutes ago, you couldn’t take your hands off me. | 两分钟前 我们还很亲热 |
[30:37] | Victor, I didn’t put in my diaphragm. | 维克托 我没有避孕膜 |
[30:40] | Well, put it in now. | 那现在戴上 |
[30:42] | I didn’t bring it with me. | 我没带在身上 |
[30:44] | I haven’t brought it for weeks. | 我几周没带了 |
[30:48] | You’ve been trying to have my child… | 你一直都想怀我的孩子 |
[30:51] | …but now that I want to marry you, | 但现在我要娶你 |
[30:53] | you don’t want to have a child with me? | 你反而不想怀我的孩子了? |
[30:55] | You see, victor it’s not you. | 维克托 不是你的问题 |
[30:58] | It really is me. | 是我的问题 真的 |
[31:04] | Sandra, I assumed I’d see you at the vanity fair bash. | 桑德拉 我以为会在名利场派对上见到你 |
[31:07] | I was just heading over. frederick, this is heather wolfe. | 我只是有点糊涂了 这位是希瑟·沃尔夫 |
[31:09] | Hi, pleasure to meet you. you don’t have to introduce leonard schiller. | 你好 很高兴见到你 你不必介绍里昂纳多·席勒 |
[31:13] | He and his wife were dear friends of my parents. | 他和妻子曾是我父母的好朋友 |
[31:16] | I got your message, professor. morally earnest as always. | 我收到了你的信息 教授 您还是那样热情 |
[31:20] | Frederick was kind enough to offer me a job writing ad copy. | 弗雷德里克为我提供了一份撰写广告文案的工作 |
[31:24] | Just a few paragraphs about central park. | 只是关于中心公园的几段文字 |
[31:26] | He didn’t even have to mention american express. | 他甚至没提到美国运通信用卡 |
[31:29] | I’m old-fashioned enough to believe that art and commerce are at war. | 我是老式人 还相信艺术和商业势不两立 |
[31:33] | I think that’s inspiring. to be that pure about your art. | 你对艺术这样纯洁 我觉得这很令人振奋 |
[31:37] | I don’t see what’s so pure about turning down paid work. | 我看不出怎么拒绝有报酬的工作就纯洁了 |
[31:39] | As if making a living means you’re guilty of selling your soul? | 谋生就意味着要为出卖灵魂而背负罪恶感? |
[31:43] | I make my living writing and, until recently, teaching literature. | 我通过写作谋生 直到最近 还教授文学 |
[31:47] | That’s my world and I’m faithful to it. | 而我坚持于我为人处世的原则 |
[31:50] | Of course your magazine owes its existence to advertising revenue. | 当然你的杂志的生存依赖于广告收入 |
[31:54] | I suppose there’s nothing wrong with that, but it’s just… | 我想这没有什么错 只是 这是… |
[31:57] | …a compromise that I’m not willing to make. | 我不愿做出的妥协 |
[32:01] | But that advertising revenue… | 但是广告收入… |
[32:03] | …allows us to introduce new writing talent to the world. | 让我们能够把文学新秀介绍给世界 |
[32:06] | I don’t see the compromise in that. | 我在这没看出妥协 |
[32:21] | Thank you for going out of your way. | 谢谢你专门开车送我回来 |
[32:26] | Leonard, do you mind if I come up? I have to use the little girl’s room. | 里昂纳多 介意我去你家吗 我得用下洗手间 |
[32:39] | But you haven’t fed me yet. | 但你还没给我吃东西呢 |
[32:42] | Oh, I thought you ate at the party. | 我以为你在宴会吃过了 |
[32:44] | A chunk of cheese and a cracker? that will hardly do. | 一大块芝士和一块饼干? 那远远不够 |
[33:24] | You look sad tonight. | 你今晚看上去很难过 |
[33:30] | The knight of the mournful countenance. | 满面忧伤的骑士 |
[33:37] | Honestly, I can’t stop thinking about my daughter. | 说实话 我总是想起我的女儿来 |
[33:42] | She seems forever adrift… | 她好像永远都在漂泊 |
[33:44] | …and I can’t help but blame myself. | 我不得不要责备自己 |
[33:47] | Her mother died when ariel was still in her teens… | 艾瑞尔十几岁的时候她妈妈就死了 |
[33:50] | …and I’m afraid I didn’t do very well after that. | 恐怕在那之后我做得不太好 |
[33:52] | I kept concerning myself with the perfection of my work… | 我一直都只关心我作品的完美 |
[33:58] | …and I reduced her to begging for my time and attention. | 就几乎没关心过她的生活 |
[34:06] | You’re very hard on yourself. | 你对自己很严格 |
[34:13] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[34:18] | Sorry for getting honey on you. | 对不起把蜂蜜弄到你手上 |
[35:20] | You’ll excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[35:59] | I’m sorry, but… | 对不起 但是… |
[36:01] | …i think it’s time for you to go. | 我想你该走了 |
[36:04] | Oh, dear. | 天 |
[36:07] | Did I do something wrong? | 我做错什么了吗 |
[36:09] | No, you’ve been very kind to me. it’s just… | 不 你对我很好 只是… |
[36:13] | …that I’m too old. | 我太老了 |
[36:15] | Please, I’m not being kind. | 拜托 我不是对你好 |
[36:19] | If you want me to go, I’ll go, but… | 如果你想让我走 我会走 但是 |
[36:23] | …l’m not expecting anything from you. | 我不期望从你这里得到任何东西 |
[36:56] | Can we lie down? | 我们能躺下吗 |
[37:20] | We don’t have to do anything. | 我们什么都不必做 |
[37:24] | I just want to be next to you. | 我只想在你身边 |
[40:56] | Howdy. | 好啊 |
[41:04] | I should have called. | 我该先打电话过来 |
[41:07] | I’ll call you tomorrow. | 我明天给你电话 |
[41:22] | If we get into an accident and die, I won’t be able to tip you! | 如果我们出车祸死了 我就不能给你小费了 |
[41:29] | Fuck! fuck! my purse. my purse! | 妈的 妈的 我的钱包 我的钱包 |
[41:33] | Okay, excuse me. okay, I don’t have my purse. | 对不起 我没带钱包 |
[41:35] | I’m sorry, I forgot my purse. I don’t have any money on me. | 对不起 我忘带钱包了 我没钱 |
[41:42] | I’m sorry. I have no money. | 对不起 我没钱 |
[41:43] | If you don’t have money, I cannot drive you anywhere. | 如果你没钱 我不能送你去任何地方 |
[41:46] | Good luck to you, miss. I hope you locate your purse. | 祝你好运 女士 希望你能找到钱包 |
[41:57] | Hello? | 你好 |
[42:00] | Hello. hello. | 你好 你好 |
[42:03] | Ariel? | 艾瑞尔? |
[42:06] | How did you know it was me? | 你怎么知道是我? |
[42:09] | I know your silence. where are you? | 你很熟悉你那种特有的沉默 你在哪 |
[42:12] | Twenty-ninth and seventh. | 二九七 |
[42:14] | Nick’s? | 尼克的店? |
[42:15] | Nick’s. | 尼克的店 |
[42:17] | I’ll see you in 20 minutes. | 20分钟后见 |
[42:42] | I thought you were in california. | 我还以为你在加州 |
[42:45] | I thought you were in chicago. | 我还以为你在芝加哥 |
[42:47] | I just moved back. | 我刚搬回来 |
[42:51] | Folks eating? | 情侣餐? |
[42:52] | – no. just coffee. – okay. | -不 只要咖啡 -好的 |
[43:00] | Hey, I haven’t seen you kids in years. | 我好多年没见到你们了 |
[43:03] | Don’t tell me you left us for another diner. | 别告诉我你们去了别家的餐厅了 |
[43:05] | We didn’t go for another diner. we just moved out of the neighborhood, | 我们没去别家餐厅 我们只是不住附近了 |
[43:07] | nick. | 尼克 |
[43:08] | Well, it’s good to have you back. coffee’s on me. | 你们回来了 真好 咖啡我请 |
[43:21] | So… | 那么 |
[43:30] | What’s new? | 最近过的怎样? |
[43:32] | I joined the glee club. | 我参加了合唱团 |
[43:34] | – when? – just now. | -什么时候 -刚刚 |
[43:55] | Hello. | 早 |
[43:58] | Coffee’s ready. I could make you something to eat. | 咖啡做好了 我可以给你做点吃的 |
[44:02] | Oh, no thanks. I never eat breakfast. | 不 谢谢 我从来不吃早餐 |
[44:16] | Oh, I love narayan. | 我爱纳拉扬 |
[44:18] | You’ve read him? | 你读过他的作品? |
[44:20] | Oh, my god, yes. he reminds me of chekhov. | 天 当然 他让我想起了契诃夫 |
[44:23] | Not as tough-minded, but more of a sense of humor. | 他没契诃夫那么坚强 但比契诃夫幽默 |
[44:30] | What? | 怎么? |
[44:31] | Nothing. | 没什么? |
[44:33] | It’s just nice to meet a young person… | 只是很高兴遇到 |
[44:36] | …who wants to talk about r.k. narayan at 7:00 in the morning. | 愿意在早晨七点谈论纳拉扬的年轻人 |
[44:44] | I’ve always thought that people would still be reading him in a hundred years. | 我一直认为一百年后人们仍会读他的书 |
[44:51] | Do you think people will still be reading you in a hundred years? | 你想一百年后人们还会读你的书吗 |
[44:55] | What I wonder is whether people will still be reading in a hundred years. | 我想知道的是人们一百年后还会不会读书 |
[44:59] | No, but really, don’t you ever think about it? | 不 但真的 你想过吗? |
[45:02] | If I do, it would be unseemly to talk about. | 如果我想过 也不适合谈论 |
[45:04] | It’s got nothing to do with what the whole enterprise is about. | 这和你的论文无关 |
[45:08] | What is the whole enterprise about? | 什么和我的论文有关? |
[45:11] | It’s not something I can put into words. | 这件事我无法用言语形容 |
[45:14] | Not at 7:00 in the morning. | 早晨七点不能 |
[45:18] | To put it bluntly, leonard, your novels are out of print. | 里昂纳多 直截了当地说 你的小说已不再印刷 |
[45:21] | You’re not sure if anyone will publish the one that you’re working on now. | 你也不知道有没有人愿意出版你现在写的书 |
[45:26] | So why do you keep going? | 那你为什么还在写? |
[45:28] | Heather, what can I say? | 希瑟 我能说什么? |
[45:30] | Whatever I say will either be too much or too little. | 无论我说什么 不是太多就是太少 |
[45:33] | Yes, but when I’m summing up my thesis… | 没错 但是 我总结我论文的时候 |
[45:36] | …what should I say it is that keeps you going? | 我该写是什么让你坚持写作呢? |
[45:39] | Just say it’s the madness of art. | 就写是对艺术的狂热 |
[45:44] | The madness of art. | 对艺术的狂热 |
[46:01] | Hello, davis. | 嗨 戴维斯. |
[46:04] | Stop glowing at me, schiller. | 别对我微笑 席勒 |
[46:05] | Oh, am I glowing? | 我在微笑吗 |
[46:08] | You kept me up half the night with your glowing. | 你的这张笑脸让我半晚未眠 |
[46:21] | if he had money I’d think she was scheming to get in his will, | 如果他有钱 我认为她想要的是他的遗产 |
[46:24] | but dad doesn’t have money. | 但爸爸没有钱 |
[46:25] | Well, maybe she thinks he has money. | 也许她以为他有钱 |
[46:28] | How could she get naked with him? | 她怎么能在他面前脱衣服? |
[46:29] | She’s like 25. it’s against nature. | 她也就25岁 这简直是违反自然法则 |
[46:32] | Wow. let your father have some fun. | 让你爸爸有点乐子嘛 |
[46:35] | What are you doing defending him? | 你为什么为他辩护? |
[46:37] | I’m not defending him. I’m just saying, you know, be glad he’s happy. | 我不是为他辩护 我只是很高兴他过的快乐 |
[46:40] | I want him to be happy. | 我想他快乐 |
[46:42] | If she was a nice, old librarian, I’d be delighted. | 如果她是个友善的老图书管理员 我就高兴了 |
[46:53] | What’s going on? | 怎么了? |
[46:57] | I know that look. | 我明白那种表情 |
[47:04] | Ariel, before we get too far in again… | 艾瑞尔 在我们再次太投入之前 |
[47:06] | …i feel I should let you know that… | 我想我该让你知道 |
[47:10] | …i haven’t changed my position on having children. | 我对生孩子的观点没有改变 |
[47:14] | – really? – yeah. | -真的? -嗯 |
[47:17] | I thought I should let you know that right away… | 我想现在就该让你知道 |
[47:19] | …so there are no misunderstandings later. | 这样以后就不会有误会 |
[47:22] | That’s fair. | 这很公平 |
[47:24] | I would rather walk away right now… | 我宁愿现在走开 |
[47:28] | …than risk the kind of pain we went through last time. | 也不愿意再经历上次经历过的痛苦 |
[47:36] | So there are no misunderstandings later, | 以后不会有误会 |
[47:38] | i haven’t changed my position either. | 我的观点也没变 |
[47:47] | But don’t worry. i… | 别担心 我… |
[47:50] | I’m just going to toy with you for a couple of months… | 我会玩弄你几个月 |
[47:53] | …then leave you by the wayside, begging for more. | 然后再把你扔在路边 |
[47:57] | But until then, let’s just keep things like they are right now. | 但既然我们还没那样 我们保持现状就很好 |
[48:01] | Hot and light. | 激情而轻松 |
[48:05] | Okay? | 好吗? |
[48:08] | – thank you. – okay. take care. bye. | -谢谢 -保重 再见 |
[48:11] | – thank you. – okay, bye. | -谢谢 -再见 |
[48:13] | They adore you. | 他们喜欢你 |
[48:15] | I can see it on their faces. you inspire them. | 我能从他们的脸上看出 你教会了他们很多 |
[48:17] | Well, I taught them how to breathe. | 我教他们如何呼吸 |
[48:19] | it’s amazing what a little oxygen will do. | 一点氧气能做这么多事情 真让人惊讶 |
[48:21] | – I left the keys in the side pocket. – okay, good. | -我把钥匙放在侧面的口袋里了 -嗯 好 |
[48:26] | About last night, heather wasn’t feeling well… | 关于昨晚 希瑟感觉不太舒服 |
[48:29] | …so I just let her sleep in the guest room. | 所以我让她在客房睡了 |
[48:30] | That’s what I figured. give me five minutes to freshen up, okay? great. | 我也这样想 给我五分钟梳洗一下好吗? 很好 |
[48:34] | Hey, chelsea. hey, that’s my dad. | 切尔西 那是我爸爸 |
[48:36] | – it’s nice to meet you. – hello. | -很高兴见到你 -你好 |
[48:43] | Okay, dad, let’s have it out. | 好了 爸爸 我们谈吧 |
[48:45] | Ariel. | 艾瑞尔 |
[48:48] | This is a man who doesn’t want what you want… | 这个人在五年前 拒绝了你想要的东西 |
[48:52] | …and he proved it beyond a doubt five years ago. | 而且毫无疑义的向你证明了这点 |
[48:55] | Dad, that was a decision casey and I made together. | 爸爸 这是凯西和我一起做的决定 |
[48:58] | No, that was a decision casey made. | 不 这是凯西做的决定 |
[49:00] | If your opinion had mattered, you’d have a five-year-old child by now. | 如果你说了算的话 现在你的孩子都五岁了 |
[49:04] | That is a terrible thing to say. | 这么说太残忍了 |
[49:05] | The man left you when you needed him most. | 这个人在你最需要他的时候离开了 |
[49:08] | Dad, it’s not that simple! | 爸爸 不是这么简单 |
[49:09] | And now he has the gall to waltz back into your life… | 现在他还有胆量大摇大摆再一次走进你的生活 |
[49:13] | …and waste more of your valuable time. | 浪费你宝贵的时间 |
[49:15] | I called him. | 是我给他打的电话 |
[49:16] | People don’t change, ariel. | 艾瑞尔 人是不会变的 |
[49:18] | Well, maybe not, but we’ll just have to see. | 也许不会 但是我们要等等看再下结论 |
[49:20] | I was happy last night. doesn’t that count for something? | 昨晚我过的很好 难道这一点意义都没有吗 |
[49:23] | No. no it doesn’t. | 是的 没有意义 |
[49:25] | Not when it leaves you so depressed | 他上次离开你的时候 |
[49:28] | you can’t get out of bed for a whole year. | 你沮丧得在床上躺了整整一年 |
[49:28] | That’s not going to happen again. I’m older now. | 我不会再做那种傻事了 我已经很成熟了 |
[49:30] | Yes, that’s what worries me. | 我就是担心这点 |
[49:34] | “to sit across the table and talk with someone you love… | 和你喜欢的人坐在一张桌子上谈话 |
[49:37] | …is itself a complex engagement. | 本身就是一份复杂的承诺 |
[49:40] | To go to bed with someone… | 而和别人上床 |
[49:42] | …to carry your conversation into the realm of the body… | 把这种对话深入到彼此的身体那样一个 |
[49:45] | …a realm of insecurity and vulnerability and fear, as well as pleasure… | 不安 脆弱 而又充满恐惧和愉悦的领域之后 |
[49:50] | …was always fraught with the sad evidence of how difficult it is… | 就会往往悲哀的发现 理解别人 |
[49:54] | …to understand another person and make yourself understood.” | 以及被别人理解是多么困难的一件事 |
[50:10] | Thank you for inviting me. she’s a wonderful writer. | 谢谢邀请我来 她是个了不起的作家 |
[50:13] | Yes, she is. | 是的 她是 |
[50:15] | The excerpt she read was very nicely observed, I thought. | 我认为她读的摘要非常具有洞察力 |
[50:20] | Lucky break for me ariel couldn’t make it. | 真幸运 艾瑞尔没来 |
[50:24] | To be honest, I was surprised you were available. | 说实话 我本以为你不会有时间呢 |
[50:28] | Really. I assumed you’d be out with a gentleman friend on a friday evening. | 我以为你会和一位绅士共度周五的夜晚 |
[50:32] | I am out with a gentleman friend on a friday evening. | 我就是和一位绅士共度了周五的夜晚 |
[50:36] | To tell you the truth, leonard, I find very few men my age interesting. | 说实话 我发现和我同龄的男生都很无趣 |
[50:41] | They’re like chewing gum. | 他们就象口香糖 |
[50:42] | ten minutes of flavor followed by bland repetition. | 十分钟的滋味过后就是无聊的重复 |
[50:45] | Oh, surely it can’t be that bleak. | 当然不可能那么无聊的 |
[50:48] | Don’t get me wrong, I love a good time as much as the next girl… | 别误会 我和其它女孩一样想开心 |
[50:50] | …but I have too much to do. you know, I want to be bold. | 但是我要做的事太多 我想出名 |
[50:53] | I want to be like joan didion, joni mitchell, joan of arc. | 我要成为琼·狄朵 卓尼·米切尔 贞德之类的大人物 |
[51:01] | I guess I have the under 30 disease. | 我想这就是人家说的少时的梦想和冲动 |
[51:02] | Oh, I understand. | 我理解 |
[51:04] | I was your age when I started my first novel… | 我在你那个岁数时开始写我的第一部小说 |
[51:07] | …and three years later when I finished it, I was a very different man. | 三年之后我完成的时候 我完全变了 |
[51:10] | What do you mean, your first novel? | 你指的第一部小说是那一部? |
[51:12] | I wrote two unpublished novels when I was in my 20s. | 我在20岁的时候写过两部没有发表过的小说 |
[51:17] | I would love to read them. | 我很想读读 |
[51:19] | I’m afraid that’s impossible. | 那恐怕是不可能了 |
[51:21] | Why? you destroyed them? | 为什么呢 你把手稿毁了? |
[51:22] | I had to, in order to keep writing. and if I hadn’t… | 我不得不 为了延续我的写作生涯 要是我 |
[51:26] | …i might not have written tenderness. | 没那样做的话 我可能就不会写出《温柔》了 |
[51:30] | And… | 然后 |
[51:32] | …we wouldn’t be here right now. | 我们现在也不会像这样坐在这里谈话了 |
[51:36] | And where are we, leonard? | 那我么会在哪里呢 里昂纳多? |
[51:43] | Well, it’s getting late. | 有些晚了 |
[51:44] | I think maybe we should pick this up next time. | 也许我们应该下次再谈这个问题 |
[51:48] | Okay. | 好的 |
[53:05] | Where are you? | 你在哪里呢 |
[53:11] | I’m leaving, dad. | 我得走了 爸爸 |
[53:12] | Soup’s on the stove. let it simmer for an hour. | 汤在火炉旁边 慢火炖一个小时就好了 |
[53:15] | Thank you, dear. see you tonight. love you. | 谢谢你 亲爱的 晚上见 爱你 |
[53:18] | Love you too. | 我也爱你 |
[53:25] | Hi, miss wolfe. why don’t you head on up. | 沃尔夫小姐 快进来 |
[53:27] | Thanks, jeff. | 谢谢你 杰夫 |
[53:31] | – hey, ariel. – hey, heather. | -嘿 艾瑞尔 -嘿 希瑟 |
[53:32] | I don’t think dad’s expecting you. he’s working now. | 我想爸爸这个时候不想见你的 他在写东西 |
[53:34] | I know. we have a lot of ground to cover. I gotta crack that whip. | 我知道 我们还有很多事儿要做 我得加快进度 |
[53:37] | He’s very strict about his writing hours. | 他在写作的时候是非常严厉的 |
[53:39] | Well, maybe a little shake-up in the routine is just what leonard needs. | 也许里昂纳多需要小小的改变下他的习惯 |
[53:45] | Hey, by the way, happy birthday. | 对了 生日快乐 |
[53:47] | Oh, thank you. how did you know it’s my birthday? | 谢谢你 你怎么知道我生日的? |
[53:49] | Of course I know it’s your birthday. | 我当然知道你的生日 |
[53:55] | Hi, leonard. I know it’s not a work day… | 嘿 里昂纳多 我知道这时候并不合适 |
[53:57] | …but last night I came across something that f. scott fitzgerald wrote. | 但是昨晚我想起来点斯科特·菲茨杰夫拉写的东西 |
[54:01] | It really got me thinking. | 那真的让我仔细思考了很久 |
[54:02] | Can’t it wait til monday? I really must get back to work. | 那你为什么不等到周一呢 我得回去工作了 |
[54:05] | He said that most good writers line themselves up along a solid gold bar. | 他说大部分优秀的作家会有自己的风格 |
[54:10] | Heather, these are my writing hours. you must respect them. | 希瑟 这是我的写作时间 你得尊重我的时间安排 |
[54:15] | I’m sorry. I guess it will have to wait. | 非常抱歉 那看来得等等了 |
[54:25] | Now that you’re here… | 既然你已经来这儿了 |
[54:26] | …if you have work to do, you’re welcome to the living room. | 如果你要有事儿的话 到客厅来吧 |
[55:18] | …since you’re here, I suppose we should get our work in now. | 既然你来了 我们现在就做我们的工作吧 |
[55:23] | What’s all this about f. scott fitzgerald’s solid gold bar? | 我们来说说关于斯科特·菲茨杰夫拉的作家个人风格的问题吧 |
[55:27] | Okay. he says that most great writers… | 好的 他说大部分优秀的作家 |
[55:30] | …have an essential theme that runs through their best work… | 他们最优秀的作品体现了鲜明的个人风格 |
[55:33] | …like hemingway’s courage, or dostoyevsky’s spiritual violence. | 像海明威的励志 陀思妥耶夫斯基的暴力信仰 |
[55:36] | I trust you’ve resisted any impulse to place me in their company. | 我想你不会把我和他们归于一类吧 |
[55:40] | Well, I do say that you breathe the same moral air… | 我要说的是在你的作品中有同样的 |
[55:44] | …especially in your first two novels… | 道德批判气息 尤其是在你的头两部小说 |
[55:46] | …when you adhere closely to your solid gold bar. | 在你坚持自己的个人风格的时候 |
[55:48] | Ah, yes, personal liberation in the works of leonard schiller. | 是的 在里昂纳多·席勒的作品谈到过人性的解放 |
[55:52] | Don’t misunderstand me. the last two novels are brilliant. | 不要误解我的意思 那两部小说非常棒 |
[55:56] | But I sense a stylistic change… | 但是我感觉到了那种形式上的变化 |
[56:01] | …where you’re writing less nakedly… | 你的作品中个人风格不在那么鲜明 |
[56:04] | …less personally. | 也不再那么明显了 |
[56:08] | Well, I did… | 我那时候想要做的就是在一张画布上 |
[56:10] | …attempt to work on a larger social canvas in the lost city. | 描绘出这个《逝去之城》中的众生百态 |
[56:14] | But in my estimation it’s my most passionate novel. | 就我看来那是我最具激情的一部小说 |
[56:19] | It’s true, my work did change after stella died. | 我的作品在斯特拉死后风格的确变了很多 |
[56:22] | But I suppose, my life, as a source of inspiration… | 但我得承认我在我妻子那里获得的 |
[56:26] | …began to interest me less. | 灵感没有从前那么多了 |
[56:30] | You must have loved her deeply. | 你一定曾经深深的爱着她 |
[56:33] | My wife was not a bounded entity. | 我的妻子于我来说已经超越了肉体的存在 |
[56:37] | She made me feel that I existed in her… | 我和她心有灵犀 |
[56:41] | …as much as I existed in my own body. | 两个人就像是一个人一样 |
[56:45] | You never experienced that again… | 在你失去她之后 |
[56:47] | …after you lost her? | 你再也没有那种感觉了对不对? |
[56:51] | No. | 是的 |
[56:54] | No, I suppose not. | 是的 我想大概再也不会了 |
[56:59] | But then I wouldn’t be a writer, would i, if I weren’t… | 但如果不是我盲目乐观的话 在我不再是 |
[57:04] | …blinded by optimism. | 一个作家时 也许我就会找到那种感觉了 |
[57:13] | I always loved this photograph of you. | 我总是非常喜欢你这幅照片 |
[57:15] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[57:18] | Thank you so much. dinner will be ready in a sec, okay? | 非常感谢 饭马上就好 |
[57:26] | So, ariel tells me you are about to launch your own magazine. | 艾瑞尔告诉我你要发行自己的杂志了 |
[57:30] | Yeah, yeah. I’ve always wanted to provide a forum… | 是的 我希望能提供一个地方让人们能够 |
[57:32] | …where people on the left could argue. | 从不同的角度去发表自己的意见 |
[57:35] | It just remains to be seen if anyone’s up for a good fight. | 人们依然乐于为自己的观点而争论不休 |
[57:38] | I was involved with a magazine for a while back in the 60s. | 我在60年代的时候也做过一段时间杂志 |
[57:42] | A literary journal to be published and edited by eight young writers. | 那是一个由8个作家编辑的一本文学杂志 |
[57:46] | No kidding. anything become of it? | 我很想知道然后怎么样了 |
[57:48] | No. there’s something about collaboration… | 不 然后出现一些意见的分歧 |
[57:51] | …that brings out the worst in writers. | 让我们最后弄得一团糟 |
[57:55] | Well, there’s only four of us… | 我们只有4个人 |
[57:57] | …so I guess we’ll have fewer opportunities to disagree. | 所以想必分歧会少一些 |
[58:00] | It takes a capacity for compromise, doesn’t it? | 要达成妥协就需要双方的容忍和退让 是吧? |
[58:04] | As in any worthwhile endeavor, be it a magazine… | 很多事情都是这样的 无论是做一个杂志 |
[58:07] | …or a literary journal, or a family. | 做一份文学期刊 还是维系一个家庭 |
[58:12] | One has to be willing to… | 一个人要偶尔 |
[58:14] | …surrender occasionally… | 要为更伟大的美德 |
[58:17] | …one’s beliefs for the greater good. | 而放弃自己的想法 |
[58:26] | Ariel tells me you’ve got a young biographer… | 艾瑞尔告诉我有一个年轻的纪传记者 |
[58:29] | …doing a study of your work. how’s that going? | 正在做一份关于你的研究 不知进展如何? |
[58:32] | Oh, marvelous. | 很不错 |
[58:34] | Suddenly the literary world is abuzz… | 在好奇心之下去观察我的生活 |
[58:36] | …with curiosity about my every move. | 我的文学世界就突然间喧闹了起来 |
[58:40] | Well, you deserve it, leonard. | 你本该如此的 里昂纳多 |
[58:43] | I mean, if anyone knows the meaning of the word compromise. | 假如每个人都明白妥协的含义 那该多好 |
[58:47] | Ariel has often told me… | 艾瑞尔总是对我说 |
[58:48] | …how you locked yourself away in your writing room… | 你是怎么把自己锁在书房 |
[58:52] | …cutting yourself off from the rest of the world. | 将自己和外面的世界隔绝 |
[58:55] | I’m really glad you’re finally going to get your due. | 我真为你找到归宿而感到高兴 |
[59:01] | Case, can you give me a hand? | 凯斯 能帮下忙吗 |
[59:02] | Yeah, yeah. coming, baby. | 我就来 宝贝儿 |
[59:04] | Excuse me, leonard. | 失陪了 里昂纳多 |
[59:07] | Duty calls. | 这是我必须做的 |
[59:14] | I’m done with the first part about his first two books. | 我已经完成了他的头两本书那部分 |
[59:16] | And that came easily because I love them… | 那写得很顺手 因为我很喜欢那两本书 |
[59:20] | …but I’m having the hardest time writing about the last two. | 不过后两本书的部分写起来就很吃力 |
[59:25] | I just don’t get them. | 我就是写不出来 |
[59:27] | You don’t get them or you don’t like them? | 你是写不出来 还是就是不喜欢写? |
[59:31] | I guess I took it for granted that I would grow to like them. | 我想我一定会喜欢上那两本书的 |
[59:36] | But… | 不过 |
[59:38] | But they never catch fire. they’re too neutral. they’re too careful. | 但是他们太缺乏激情了 他们写得太谨慎了 |
[59:42] | The books I love, they valued a certain kind of recklessness. | 我喜爱的书都有一种近乎偏执的激情在里面 |
[59:46] | At first I was in awe of that single-minded devotion to his art… | 一开始我怀着敬意一心投入到他的书中 |
[59:50] | …and now I suspect it’s drained the life out of his work. | 现在我开始怀疑写作已和他的生活无关 |
[59:53] | Two great novels is nothing to sneeze at. | 两部巨作不容忽视 |
[59:58] | My thesis was going to be about… | 我的论文将会是关于一个 |
[59:59] | …one of america’s great unacknowledged writers… | 不为人知的美国伟大作家的传记 |
[1:00:02] | …not one that was written-out by the time he was 45 years old. | 而不是在他45岁时就被写出来的简介 |
[1:00:05] | To be a writer, sometimes you have to hurt people’s feelings. | 一个作家有时候不得不伤害读者的感情 |
[1:00:09] | Sometimes you have to be a bastard. | 有时候你不得不当一个混蛋 |
[1:00:12] | You’ll be speaking with conviction. when you speak with conviction… | 只有人们感觉得到你诚意 |
[1:00:16] | …people notice. | 你的话才会为人信服 |
[1:00:22] | But he’s had enough disappointment. | 但是他真的很让人失望 |
[1:00:25] | I mean, I don’t even think he’s gotten over losing his wife. | 我甚至觉得他的丧妻之痛至今未消 |
[1:00:28] | I hate to tell tales out of school, but… | 我不喜欢学校里面的那些谣言 |
[1:00:31] | …from what I hear, it’s a little more complicated than that. | 但据我所听到的 事情要复杂的多 |
[1:00:34] | What do you mean? | 你是说? |
[1:00:35] | Well, when I was heading down to the vanity fair party with frederick… | 我在名利场聚会上面的时候 |
[1:00:38] | …he told me a few things about your friend leonard. | 弗雷德里克告诉我关于你的朋友里昂纳多的事情 |
[1:00:47] | It’s good. | 很好吃 |
[1:00:55] | Did you see the newspaper this morning, darling? | 你看早上的报纸了吗 亲爱的 |
[1:00:57] | No, I didn’t get a chance. | 不 我还没看呢 |
[1:00:58] | Well, there’s a story here… | 上面有一条新闻说在接下来的几个月中 |
[1:01:03] | …of a comet that will be visible probably within the next few months. | 我们将会看到一颗彗星 |
[1:01:08] | Russell’s comet. it comes close to the earth every 45 years. | 那说的是路瑟尔彗星 它每45年靠近一次地球 |
[1:01:12] | I saw it with your mother. | 我和你妈妈一起看过它 |
[1:01:14] | And I think you should see it and then you can tell your children about it. | 你也会看到它的 以后你可以和你的孩子讲 |
[1:01:19] | And when it comes around in another 45 years… | 45年之后彗星再次临近地球时 |
[1:01:21] | …they can see it for themselves. | 你的孩子们就会亲眼看到它 |
[1:01:23] | My children. that’s nice. maybe I will just have a couple. | 我的孩子 多好啊 也许我会有一对孩子的 |
[1:01:27] | If you’ll allow me, I’d like to make a toast… | 请允许我敬一杯酒 |
[1:01:31] | …to ariel, our birthday girl. | 给艾瑞尔 这是她的生日 |
[1:01:33] | Ariel, back when we first met… | 艾瑞尔 回想起我们第一次相遇 |
[1:01:36] | …and we shared those years of our lives together… | 还有这些年来我们一起走过的日子 |
[1:01:39] | …i always felt like I was the luckiest guy in new york city. | 我总觉得我是纽约最幸运的人了 |
[1:01:44] | And now, five years later… | 现在 五年过去了 |
[1:01:47] | …for us to find each other again… | 我们再次重逢 |
[1:01:50] | Well, I know I am. | 我就知道我是多么的幸运了 |
[1:01:53] | The way you encourage me to go after my dreams… | 你鼓励我追求我自己的梦想 |
[1:01:56] | …and take chances with my life… | 抓住我生命中的机会 |
[1:01:58] | …even if those chances run contrary to your dreams… | 即使是这些和你的梦想向左 |
[1:02:02] | …is a quality that… | 这是一种优秀的品质 |
[1:02:05] | Well, you know, it comes around as often as russell’s comet. | 就像是路瑟尔彗星邻近地球一样 |
[1:02:09] | So… | 所以 |
[1:02:11] | So I raise my glass to you… | 所以我为你的40岁生日 |
[1:02:13] | …on your 40th birthday… | 干一杯 |
[1:02:15] | …in the hope that I give you some measure… | 希望我能够报答你 |
[1:02:19] | …of what I know you give me. | 所付出的一切 |
[1:02:23] | You do. | 你做到了 |
[1:02:31] | Good evening, jeff. | 晚上好 杰夫 |
[1:02:32] | Hi, professor. miss wolfe is here to see you. | 教授 沃尔夫小姐在等你 |
[1:02:34] | I told her you were out, but she wanted to wait. | 我告诉她你不在 但是她坚持要等下去 |
[1:02:43] | Thank you, jeff. | 谢谢你 杰夫 |
[1:02:50] | – leonard, I want to read your book. – what’s this all about? | -里昂纳多 我要读你的书 -这是怎么讲? |
[1:02:53] | I know you have a rule against letting anyone see your work… | 我知道你有个规矩 在你的书写完前 |
[1:02:55] | …before it’s completed, but I want you to break it. | 不会让任何人读 但是我要你为我破例一次 |
[1:02:58] | – that’s out of the question. – why? | -那是不可能的 -为什么? |
[1:02:59] | Because I am not ready to show it. | 因为我没准备好给别人看 |
[1:03:02] | But that’s precisely why you should let me read it. | 那就是你为什么应该让我看的原因了 |
[1:03:05] | Take a chance. maybe it’ll free you to finish it. | 抓住这个机会 也许就会突破瓶颈完成作品 |
[1:03:07] | I’ll finish it by sitting in front of my typewriter first thing in the | 我会在早上坐在打字机前面 |
[1:03:11] | morning. | 完成它的 |
[1:03:11] | So if you’ll excuse me, I’d like to get to bed. | 那么失陪了 我得睡觉了 |
[1:03:14] | I thought you would make an exception for me. | 我想你应该为我破一次例 |
[1:03:16] | You’ll have to make do with my published novels. | 你等我的小说出版了 你看就行了 |
[1:03:19] | Good night, heather. | 晚安 希瑟 |
[1:03:25] | I’m sorry, it’s not good enough, leonard. | 我想这还远远不够 |
[1:03:41] | What are you not getting, heather? what’s the problem? | 你究竟要干什么 希瑟 到底怎么了 |
[1:03:46] | We had an understanding, leonard… | 我们都很清楚的 里昂纳多 |
[1:03:49] | …that if I was to do justice to your work… | 如果我来评价你的作品 |
[1:03:51] | …you would share with me the events that shaped it. | 你应该告诉我你故事的原型 |
[1:03:53] | That’s precisely what I’ve done. | 我已经那么做了 |
[1:03:55] | Talk with you openly about my life and my work. | 告诉你我的生活和工作的全部 |
[1:03:59] | With one glaring omission. | 很明显你漏过了一点 |
[1:04:02] | What in god’s name are you talking about? | 你到底什么意思 |
[1:04:04] | Your marriage. | 你没有谈你的婚姻 |
[1:04:09] | So you’ve done some investigative work… | 所以你就做了一些调查 |
[1:04:11] | …and uncovered details about my personal life. | 去打听那些我私生活的隐秘 |
[1:04:15] | You’ve been dishonest with me… | 是你先对我说谎的 |
[1:04:17] | …and it makes me wonder if you’re honest with yourself. | 我甚至怀疑你对自己是不是也撒谎 |
[1:04:19] | I told you from day when I would not indulge in gossip. | 我想说在我不再相信道听途说那一日起 |
[1:04:22] | Oh, but you had no problem feeding me a myth… | 你就拿那些假话来骗我 |
[1:04:25] | …about a marriage that was some work of art. | 难道你的婚姻也是需要艺术加工的吗 |
[1:04:27] | It was a work of art. and like many works of art, it was imperfect. | 那确实是需要艺术加工的 因为它并不完美 |
[1:04:31] | Your wife left you for another man. | 你的妻子和别人跑了 |
[1:04:33] | One year before my wife died… | 在我妻子去世的前一年 |
[1:04:36] | …we went through some troubled times. yes. | 我们的婚姻确出现了很多问题 |
[1:04:39] | What does that tell you about my work? | 可这又和我的小说有什么关系? |
[1:04:41] | That life betrayed you and you went into hiding… | 生活背叛了你 然后你选择了逃避 |
[1:04:45] | …and you took your characters with you. | 赋予书中人物和你一样的性格 |
[1:04:47] | so they began guarding their lives. | 所以书中的人物开始小心翼翼地生活 |
[1:04:48] | They stopped giving in to temptation. | 开始抵制诱惑 |
[1:04:50] | No, miss wolfe. | 不是的那样 沃尔夫小姐 |
[1:04:53] | They learned the cost of living only for themselves. | 他们明白了自私是要付出的代价的 |
[1:04:56] | And I became aware of problems far greater than my own. | 我知道这点远不止是我个人经历那样简单 |
[1:05:00] | And you insult my writing by trying to define it… | 你把我的小说解释成我对过去的遭遇的 |
[1:05:04] | …by a single unhappy event from my past. if I had known you were… | 诠释 这是对我小说的一种侮辱 要是你只 |
[1:05:07] | …going to subject my work to such simplistic psychological criticism… | 把我的小说当成是这种简单心理批判的话 |
[1:05:12] | …i never would’ve wasted my time with you in the first place! | 我从一开始就不该浪费时间和你去讨论 |
[1:05:16] | You don’t have to insult me, leonard. | 你不要侮辱我 里昂纳多 |
[1:05:18] | You insult me. | 是你侮辱我 |
[1:05:21] | You insult me… | 你侮辱了我 |
[1:05:24] | …by insinuating that I should write the same book… | 总是一遍一遍的暗示我要回归从前的 |
[1:05:27] | …over and over again. | 风格去写小说 |
[1:06:01] | I’m sorry I kept you up. | 我很抱歉惹你发脾气了 |
[1:06:03] | I should really get going. | 我真应该走了 |
[1:06:07] | Heather. | 希瑟 |
[1:06:12] | If you’d like to… | 如果你想留下来 |
[1:06:15] | …stay here and not drive all the way back to hoboken at this late hour… | 我的意思是这么晚 就不要开车回霍博肯了 |
[1:06:20] | You’re welcome to the guest room. | 你可以住客房 |
[1:06:52] | Come in. | 请进 |
[1:06:57] | Would you like me to wake you at any particular time? | 我早上几点叫醒你比较好? |
[1:07:02] | No. | 不用 |
[1:07:04] | I’m always up by 7:00. | 我七点会起来 |
[1:07:08] | Well… | 好吧 |
[1:07:12] | …l’ll say good night, then. | 那么 晚安 |
[1:08:27] | Hi. please leave a message here for. heather. wolfe. | 请给希瑟·沃尔夫留言 |
[1:08:32] | Hi, heather… this is leonard. | 你好 希瑟 我是里昂纳多 |
[1:08:34] | I just wanted to wish you well as you finish your thesis. | 我只是想说希望你的论文能进展顺利 |
[1:08:37] | There’s no need to call back. I’ll see you next friday as planned. bye. | 不用给我回电 我们下礼拜五老地方见 |
[1:08:53] | I’m sorry I’m late. the car died. I had to take the train. | 对不起我来晚了 车子坏了 我乘火车来的 |
[1:08:55] | Oh, that’s perfectly alright. is this it? | 没关系 是这个吗 |
[1:08:58] | – yes. – my. | -是的 -我 |
[1:09:00] | It’s only a first draft and I hope you bear that in mind. | 你要知道这只是初稿 |
[1:09:03] | Don’t say a word. | 没关系 |
[1:09:14] | – how are we doing tonight? – oh, we’re doing just fine tonight. | -今晚过得怎么样 -非常好 |
[1:09:17] | A drink to start? | 来点餐前酒? |
[1:09:18] | – yes… – yeah, what do you have on tap? | -好… -你们这有什么酒? |
[1:09:20] | Amstel, bud, bass, harp, dos equis, rolling rock… | 阿姆斯特 百威 柏斯 哈普 道斯伊克 |
[1:09:24] | I’ll have a dos equis. | 我要道斯伊克 |
[1:09:26] | Good choice. for you, sir? | 那酒不错 先生你呢 |
[1:09:28] | I’ll have a glass of the horse white. | 我要一杯白马威士忌 |
[1:09:31] | I won’t be a minute. | 很快就好 |
[1:09:47] | There’s something I’d like to give you. | 我有样东西要给你 |
[1:09:52] | This is the key to my apartment. | 这是我公寓的钥匙 |
[1:09:56] | I thought since you spend so much time in the city… | 我想既然你花那么多时间在这里… |
[1:09:59] | …if there are some nights you don’t want to go… | 如果你晚上不想赶那么远路回霍博肯 |
[1:10:01] | …all the way back to hoboken, you could stay in the guest room. | 你可以住在客房 |
[1:10:04] | Or if you need somewhere to read in the afternoons. | 或者哪一天下午需要地方读书 |
[1:10:10] | I just want you to know… | 我只是想让你知道 |
[1:10:12] | …that there is a place that you can come… | 有个地方你随时可以来 |
[1:10:16] | …without having to explain yourself. | 不需要任何理由 |
[1:10:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:10:24] | This is an honor. | 那是我的荣幸 |
[1:10:31] | Well… | 好吧 |
[1:10:34] | …here’s to the completion of many months of hard work. | 为了这几个月的辛苦工作 |
[1:10:37] | i should remind you it’s just a draft and I plan on doing a lot more work on it. | 我要提醒你这只是初稿 我打算要做更多研究 |
[1:10:41] | Don’t worry so much. | 不用太担心 |
[1:10:51] | If you really want to continue with literary criticism… | 如果你真的想要继续写文学评论 |
[1:10:54] | …i could lend you some books by the great critics of my era. | 我可以借你几本当年很棒的文学评论集 |
[1:10:58] | I’d appreciate that. | 非常谢谢 |
[1:10:59] | I doubt that they’re taught in academies anymore… | 我不知道他们有没有受过正规文学教育 |
[1:11:02] | …but that’s really all to their credit, because they weren’t theorists. | 但无论如何都让人敬佩 因为他们 |
[1:11:05] | They were readers. | 不是理论家 他们只是读者 |
[1:11:06] | I would like to continue with criticism. | 我想继续写评论 |
[1:11:09] | It’d be a good excuse to read the books I love over and over again. | 这可以让我有借口一遍又一遍读喜欢的书 |
[1:11:15] | Heather, I’d like to sit down for just one minute. | 希瑟 我想坐一会 |
[1:11:20] | Are you alright? | 你没事吧 |
[1:11:23] | How can I help you? | 我该怎么做 |
[1:11:27] | It’s alright. it’s just a little bit of heartburn. | 没事 只是心脏有点痛 |
[1:11:32] | There, it’s passed. so let’s continue. | 好了 我们继续吧 |
[1:11:35] | Let me get a cab. | 我给你叫部车 |
[1:11:36] | No, I’m fine. I’m really fine. | 不用 我很好 非常好 |
[1:11:38] | I’d love to walk. it’s such a lovely evening. | 我喜欢散步 今晚景色真美 |
[1:11:41] | Okay. | 好 |
[1:11:48] | It is. | 是很美 |
[1:12:00] | Now, let’s see. | 现在 我们来找找 |
[1:12:05] | Ah, yes, trilling… | 有屈瑞林… |
[1:12:08] | …howe… | …豪… |
[1:12:10] | …and, oh… | 还有 |
[1:12:12] | …especially edmund wilson. | 尤其是埃德蒙·威尔逊 |
[1:12:20] | Take your time with them. | 你可以慢慢看 |
[1:12:24] | That’s very generous of you. | 你真大方 |
[1:12:32] | Thank you for a lovely evening. | 谢谢 今晚很愉快 |
[1:12:33] | Oh, I enjoyed myself too. | 我也是 |
[1:13:54] | – hey, happer. – hey, flapper. | -海帕 -你好 费雷帕 |
[1:13:56] | What are you reading? | 你在看什么 |
[1:13:57] | It’s your dad’s last novel, the lost city. I really like this book. | 你爸的最后一本小说《逝去之城》 我非常喜欢 |
[1:14:01] | It’s stronger than his first one. | 比起第一本写得要深刻 |
[1:14:03] | That was so soft and sentimental. | 第一本很温柔感性 |
[1:14:05] | Soft and sentimental? my father? | 温柔感性? 说我爸? |
[1:14:07] | Yeah, yeah. you know, it was one of those relationship books. | 第一本写了一些男女关系 |
[1:14:10] | Two couples and all of their problems and all of that. | 两对情侣之间的情感问题 全是这些 |
[1:14:14] | This one’s great. it’s about something. it’s got guts. | 而这本很棒 写得有意义 有实质性的东西 |
[1:14:17] | What do you got there? | 你在看什么 |
[1:14:19] | I have a course guide… | 一本课程指导书关于 |
[1:14:20] | …in a master’s program in expressive arts therapy. | 表达艺术疗法 |
[1:14:24] | What? expressive… | 什么? 表达… |
[1:14:27] | What is expressive arts therapy? | 什么是表达艺术疗法 |
[1:14:28] | It uses movement and dance to work through your issues. | 用动作 舞蹈来解决问题 |
[1:14:32] | And who exactly would benefit from that kind of treatment? | 这种治疗是针对什么人的? |
[1:14:35] | Oh, I don’t know, I mean, someone who might have difficulty… | 我不知道 我想说可能是那些 |
[1:14:38] | …tapping into his soft and sentimental side. | 无法表达温柔感性一面的人 |
[1:15:20] | I can’t say your study filled me with elation… | 我不能说你的研究让我感到高兴 |
[1:15:23] | …but I appreciate your honesty… | 但我欣赏你的诚实 |
[1:15:25] | …your kind remarks about the first two books… | 你对我前两本小说的好评 |
[1:15:28] | …and especially the seriousness | 尤其是那种你对我作品认真思考的 |
[1:15:29] | with which you ‘ve thought about my work. | 严肃态度 |
[1:15:33] | I’m grateful that you looked for a common thread in my work… | 我感激你发现了我作品中存在的 |
[1:15:36] | …although I do wonder whether it was precisely your conclusion… | 共同主题”自由” 但我不知道这是否 |
[1:15:40] | …that my true theme is “freedom”… | 是你最终的结论 |
[1:15:42] | …that left you unable to appreciate my two later books… | 因为这也使得你无法理解我的后两部作品 |
[1:15:46] | …especially the lost city. | 尤其是这部迷失的城市 |
[1:15:49] | But I suppose it’s not for me to say. | 我知道这些不该由我来说 |
[1:15:52] | A writer isn’t the best judge of his own work. | 因为一个作家是无法客观评判自己的作品的 |
[1:15:56] | I once knew a literary critic who… | 曾经有人要求一位文学评论家 |
[1:15:58] | …when asked to characterize his critical method… | 总结一下自己的评论方法 |
[1:16:00] | …said that he simply tried to read the hell out of a book. | 他说我的方法只是拼命的读那些书 |
[1:16:05] | “you’ve certainly read the hell out of mine, | “我知道你一定拼命的读了我的书 |
[1:16:07] | and that’s all a writer can ask. | 对一个作者来说 这是唯一的要求 |
[1:16:09] | Yours, leonard.” and ” p.s. your prose is good… | 你的里昂纳多” “另:你文笔不错 |
[1:16:13] | …but here and there it could be more direct. | 但有些地方可以写得更直接 |
[1:16:15] | I made a few suggestions on the manuscript.” | 我在你的手稿里写了一点建议” |
[1:16:17] | And then he went ahead and gave me a complete line-edit. | 他通篇帮我作了一下修改 |
[1:16:20] | He strengthened all of my arguments, and the amazing thing is… | 加强了我所有的论点 最不可思议的是 |
[1:16:24] | …he made it much more clearly critical of his own work. | 他把我的论文改得更加具批判性 |
[1:16:28] | That’s great. you must be thrilled. | 不错啊 你肯定很激动 |
[1:16:31] | I should be, shouldn’t i? | 我应该激动 对吗 |
[1:16:39] | How’s the writing going? | 书写得怎么样了 |
[1:16:43] | It’s not too bad, I suppose. | 觉得还不太坏 |
[1:16:47] | I haven’t seen your friend heather around in a while. where’s she been? | 我有阵子没看到希瑟了 她去哪了 |
[1:16:51] | Couldn’t say. her work is done. | 不知道 她已经写好了 |
[1:16:54] | Did she finish that book, or whatever it was? | 她的书还是什么的写完了? |
[1:16:57] | Master’s thesis. it wasn’t very good. kind of half-baked, really. | 硕士论文 写得不太好 有点半生不熟的 |
[1:17:01] | Well, I’m not surprised. | 我觉得那很正常 |
[1:17:05] | Hey, dad, | 爸爸 |
[1:17:05] | the young girls of rochefort is playing at cinema village tonight. | 今晚电影院会放洛城少女 |
[1:17:09] | – do you want to join me and casey? – I don’t think so. not tonight. | -你想和我还有凯西一起看吗 -我看今晚不行了 |
[1:17:12] | It’s a new print. | 这可是新版 |
[1:17:13] | No. I really don’t feel up to it. | 我不太舒服 不去了 |
[1:17:15] | Oh, come on! you love that movie. | 不要这样! 你爱那部片子 |
[1:17:19] | What do you mean, you’re not surprised? | 你说觉得很正常是什么意思? |
[1:17:23] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[1:17:25] | Why are you not surprised? | 为什么你觉得很正常? |
[1:17:27] | She graduated from an lvy league school. do you have any idea… | 她是从常春藤学院毕业的 你知不知道 |
[1:17:31] | …how much hard work and how much discipline that takes? | 那要付出多少努力和代价 |
[1:17:34] | What basis do you have for denigrating her work? | 你凭什么诋毁她的论文 |
[1:17:37] | Hey, you’re the one that said it was half-baked! | 是你自己说的 她写得半生不熟 |
[1:17:41] | She’s been published in a major literary journal. | 她的文章在大型文学杂志上刊登过 |
[1:17:43] | Okay, I didn’t mean anything by it. | 好吧 我没有别的意思 |
[1:17:45] | She just didn’t impress me as being deep enough to write about your work. | 我只是觉得她的水平不够评论你的作品 |
[1:17:50] | I thought she’d be wasting your valuable time. | 她在浪费你宝贵的时间 |
[1:17:52] | Wasting valuable time. there’s a subject you’re well-schooled in. | 浪费宝贵的时间 这正是你擅长做的事情 |
[1:17:55] | Oh, well, what’s that supposed to mean, huh? | 你这又是什么意思 |
[1:17:58] | Are you talking about casey, dad? | 你是不是在说凯西 爸爸? |
[1:18:01] | Because you don’t know what goes on between casey and me! | 你根本不懂我和凯西之间的事情 |
[1:18:03] | You don’t know the first thing about our relationship! | 你什么都不知道 |
[1:18:06] | I know enough. I was there for his birthday toast to you. | 我知道的够多了 我听了他对你的生日祝词 |
[1:18:09] | Apparently, I’m the only one who heard it. | 显然就我一个人听到了 |
[1:18:11] | I heard it. he said that he’s lucky to find me again. | 我也听了 他说觉得幸运我们又在一起了 |
[1:18:14] | He said that you give him everyghing and you ask for so little in return. | 他说的是你付出了一切 却不求什么回报 |
[1:18:18] | Of course he feels lucky. how can you accept such a condition? | 他当然觉得幸运 你怎么能接受这些? |
[1:18:22] | A man who says you’re secondary to his dreams… | 他说在你和他的梦想作比较的时候 |
[1:18:25] | …and you always will be. | 你是排在第二位的 而且一直都是 |
[1:18:28] | I don’t know, dad. how did mom do it? | 我不知道 爸爸 那妈妈又是怎么做到的? |
[1:18:46] | Oh, come on, casey. you look like you’re going to the dentist. | 凯西 你看上去像是要去看牙医 |
[1:18:49] | Keep an open mind. you might even enjoy it. | 想开点 你也许会喜欢的 |
[1:18:51] | Yeah, | 是啊 |
[1:18:51] | two hours of french people singing and dancing for no apparent reason. | 花2小时看那些法国人没头没脑的唱唱跳跳 |
[1:18:55] | I think the world would be a better place… | 我觉得如果每个人能够简单的想唱就唱 |
[1:18:57] | …if everybody sang and danced for no apparent reason. | 想跳就跳 生活会变得更好 |
[1:19:00] | Just remember your part of the deal, alright? this week we see the… | 你要知道我们说好的 这个礼拜看… |
[1:19:03] | This. | 这个 |
[1:19:04] | Next week, the battle of algiers. | 下个礼拜 看阿尔及尔之战 |
[1:19:10] | You know, case, go see the battle of algiers. | 凯斯 你去看阿尔及尔之战好了 |
[1:19:13] | No, no. a deal’s a deal. | 不 我们说好的 |
[1:19:14] | No. go ahead. go see the movie you want. | 不 去吧 去看你要看的电影 |
[1:19:18] | – really? you don’t mind? – no. what’s the difference? | -真的? 你不介意吗 -不会 有什么差别吗 |
[1:19:22] | I mean, we’re both sitting in the dark anyway, right? | 反正都是坐在黑漆漆的某个地方 |
[1:19:24] | Yeah. okay. | 好吧 |
[1:19:27] | Well… yeah, you see the movie you want to see… | 那你看你想看的 |
[1:19:29] | …l’ll see what I want to see, and we can discuss them over dinner. | 我看我想看的 然后晚饭时再一起交流 |
[1:19:34] | One for algiers and one for rochefort please. | 一张阿尔及尔之战 一张洛城少女 |
[1:19:39] | And how are you today, ms. wolfe? | 今天过得如何 沃尔夫小姐 |
[1:19:40] | I’m alright, jeff. thanks. is the professor home? | 还可以 杰夫 谢了 教授在家吗 |
[1:19:43] | He took a walk this morning, but he’s been back for hours. | 他今早去散步了 几个小时后回来了 |
[1:19:46] | That’s weird. I just called him a few minutes ago and there was no answer. | 奇怪 我几分钟前刚打过电话 没人接 |
[1:19:50] | Maybe he’s taking a nap. | 也许他在午睡 |
[1:19:51] | No. he never naps in the late afternoon because it keeps him up at night. | 他不会在傍晚午睡 这样晚上会睡不着 |
[1:19:56] | He’s not picking up. | 没人接 |
[1:20:18] | Leonard? | 里昂纳多? |
[1:20:24] | Oh, leonard. are you okay? | 里昂纳多 你还好吧 |
[1:20:27] | Let me help you up, professor. | 让我来帮你 教授 |
[1:20:47] | How is he? | 他怎么样了 |
[1:20:48] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[1:20:49] | Well, what did they say? what happened? | 医生说什么了 发生什么事了 |
[1:20:51] | They said they can’t be sure, but that they think it might be a stroke. | 不太确定 他们说可能是中风 |
[1:20:56] | I’ll be right back, case. | 我马上回来 凯斯 |
[1:21:02] | Hi. I’m heather wolfe, a friend of leonard’s. | 你好 我是希瑟·沃尔夫 里昂纳多的朋友 |
[1:21:05] | Casey davis. I’ve heard a lot about you. | 我是凯西·戴维斯 听说过你的很多事情 |
[1:21:08] | You’re writing that book about him. | 你正在写一本关于他的书 |
[1:21:09] | Oh, it’s only a thesis. | 其实只是一篇论文而已 |
[1:21:17] | I’ve just been reading the lost city. it’s brilliant. | 我正在读《逝去之城》 写的很不错 |
[1:21:20] | Yes, it is. | 是的 很不错 |
[1:21:23] | Okay, the doctor’s going to be out soon. | 没事 医生一会就出来了 |
[1:21:25] | It might not be a stroke. it might be stress. | 可能不是中风 可能是压力太大所致 |
[1:21:28] | He has been under a lot of stress lately. | 最近他承受着很大的压力 |
[1:21:31] | Yeah, he’s had a hard time finishing his book. | 是啊 为写完这本书他身心疲惫 |
[1:21:39] | If I fall apart, will you take care of me? | 如果我倒下去了 你会照顾我吗? |
[1:21:42] | I will if you do, but you won’t. | 如果那样我会的 可你不会 |
[1:21:45] | Alright? | 振作好吗? |
[1:21:46] | I can accept he’s going to die. | 我能接受他即将死去的事实 |
[1:21:48] | I just can’t accept he’s going to be dead forever. | 可我不能接受他将会永远离开我 |
[1:21:53] | He’s going to be alright. | 他会没事的 |
[1:21:55] | – are you the doctor? – yes. | -你是医生吗? -是的 |
[1:21:56] | I’m ariel schiller. this is casey. | 我是艾瑞尔·席勒 这位是凯西 |
[1:21:57] | Nice to meet you. first, | 见到你很高兴 首先 |
[1:21:58] | let me tell you that your father is resting comfortably. | 我要告诉你你的父亲现在睡的很安详 |
[1:22:01] | His vital signs are stable, | 各项生命指标很稳定 |
[1:22:02] | but it appears that he suffered a fairly large stroke. | 但看起来他经受了一次严重的中风 |
[1:22:05] | He hasn’t caused any further damage to his heart, which is encouraging… | 目前不会损坏心脏组织 让人很欣慰… |
[1:22:08] | but he’s still not responsive. | 可他还是没有反应 |
[1:22:10] | It’ll be 24 hours or so before we really know where we are. | 24小时后我们才能真正确定他的病情 |
[1:22:13] | – can I see him? – yes, of course. | -我能看看他吗? -当然可以 |
[1:22:14] | He may not know you’re there, but you can talk to him just the same. | 他不知道你在他身边 但你可以对他说话 |
[1:22:17] | – I want to see him. – okay. | -我要去看他 -好的 |
[1:22:18] | He’s in icu right now. they’re finishing up. I can take you over there. | 他在加护病房 医生已经检查完了 我带你去 |
[1:22:24] | Is this what you mean by shaking things up? | 这就是你说的要加快进度? |
[1:22:25] | Is this what you had in mind? | 这就是你一直想要的结果吗? |
[1:23:49] | What? | 怎么了 |
[1:23:50] | Diaphragm. | 没戴避孕套 |
[1:24:26] | I can’t do it, casey. | 我不能这么做 凯西 |
[1:24:28] | Can’t do what? | 不能做什么? |
[1:24:32] | I can’t do hot and light. | 我不能委屈求全的和你生活 |
[1:24:33] | Hey, I never called it hot and light. that’s your term. | 我从没说那是委屈求全 那是你的字眼 |
[1:24:36] | Oh, yeah? what do you call it? | 是吗? 你管它叫什么? |
[1:24:39] | Love. that’s what I call it. | 爱 我是这么说的 |
[1:24:41] | Right. with one condition. | 对 不过是有条件的爱 |
[1:24:43] | And I can’t live with it. I never could. | 没有它我活不了 从来都不能 |
[1:24:46] | I thought that was behind us. | 我想我们已经谈过这个了 |
[1:24:50] | Yeah, you know, what can I say, case? | 是啊 我又能说什么呢 凯斯? |
[1:24:51] | I have a bad habit of silencing myself with you. | 我有一种把自己封闭起来的坏习惯 |
[1:24:54] | I barely survived it the last time. | 上次我好不容易挺过来了 |
[1:24:57] | It doesn’t say much for me if I get in line for more of the same, does it? | 我若再有类似遭遇也还是一样的感受 不是吗? |
[1:25:00] | Ariel. | 艾瑞尔 |
[1:25:01] | Why go back there, huh? | 怎么又往事重提 恩? |
[1:25:05] | I mean, we talked it all through. | 我是说 我们已经谈好了 |
[1:25:07] | No, we didn’t talk it through. | 不 我们没有谈好 |
[1:25:09] | You defended yourself and I got over it. | 你在为自己辩解而我已经看开了 |
[1:25:11] | You asked me to leave, remember? I wanted to stay. | 是你让我走的 记得吗? 我是很想留下的 |
[1:25:14] | Oh, lose the child, and then go on as if nothing happened? | 打掉孩子 然后像什么都没发生一样生活吗? |
[1:25:17] | Come on. how long would that have lasted? | 得了 那样能维持多久? |
[1:25:20] | Let’s be honest, casey. | 我们把话摊开了说吧 凯西 |
[1:25:24] | It may not be my fate to have children. | 或许我命中注定不该有孩子 |
[1:25:26] | I can live with that. | 没孩子我也能活下去 |
[1:25:29] | But I just can’t live without possibility. | 可没有希望我活不了 |
[1:25:32] | And you’re a closed man, casey. | 你离我的要求很近了 凯西 |
[1:25:35] | There’s just not enough air in your world. | 在你给我的世界中缺少的是希望 |
[1:25:50] | Can we sleep on it? | 我们躺下好吗? |
[1:25:56] | What is there to sleep on? | 躺下又有什么好说的呢? |
[1:25:59] | Ariel, I’m not leaving you alone. not tonight. | 艾瑞尔 我不会让你一个人呆着 今晚不会 |
[1:26:03] | Not with leonard in the state he’s in. | 我不能让你去为里昂纳多病情担惊受怕 |
[1:26:04] | That’s exactly why you have to leave. | 这正是你必须离开的原因 |
[1:26:07] | If anything happens to my father… | 如果我父亲有什么不测… |
[1:26:09] | l’ll never be this strong again. | 我再也不会这么坚强了 |
[1:27:05] | Hey. I’ll set you up in the kitchen. | 我来把你扶进厨房 |
[1:27:07] | I’ll just get a cup of tea, and we’ll just… | 为你沏杯茶 然后我们再… |
[1:27:33] | Can I get you a cup of tea? | 给你沏杯茶好吗? |
[1:27:34] | No, I don’t… no, thank you. | 不 我不想…不 谢谢你 |
[1:27:54] | – hey, dad, do you want me to get it? – I’ll get it. | -爸爸 我帮你拿好吗? -我自己能行 |
[1:28:03] | Dad, I’m going to leave your walker by the door. | 爸爸 我把你的拐杖放在门旁边了 |
[1:28:06] | A walker. | 一幅拐杖 |
[1:28:09] | My goodness. | 天哪 |
[1:28:37] | Shouldn’t you be resting? | 你不是应该在休息吗? |
[1:28:38] | Are you sure you should be working so soon? | 你这么快就又开始工作 你能行吗? |
[1:28:44] | I’m running out of time, dear. | 我快没时间了 亲爱的 |
[1:28:47] | I have to finish. | 我必须要完成 |
[1:29:18] | My daughter. | 我的好女儿 |
[1:29:47] | Hi, heather. | 嘿 希瑟 |
[1:29:50] | I’m glad you could stop by. | 很高兴你能过来探望 |
[1:29:51] | Oh, I meant to come by sooner. | 哦 我本来就想早点来的 |
[1:29:53] | Your visits have always meant a lot to him. | 你的来访对他意义重大 |
[1:29:55] | Thank you. how’s he feeling? | 谢谢你 他感觉怎样? |
[1:29:57] | He gets tired after about a half hour… | 工作半小时他就觉得很累… |
[1:30:00] | but he’s a lot better than he was a month ago. | 但现在的他比一个月前好多了 |
[1:30:03] | Let me put these in a vase. | 我来把它们放进花瓶 |
[1:30:29] | Heather. | 希瑟 |
[1:30:32] | Daddy, see the nice flowers heather got for you. | 爸爸 看看希瑟给你买的花 |
[1:30:36] | Lovely. | 很不错 |
[1:30:42] | Your snack’s ready. I’ll be back in about an hour, okay? | 你的甜点好了 我一个小时左右回来 好吗? |
[1:30:45] | Love you. | 爱你 |
[1:30:47] | Bye, heather. | 再见 希瑟 |
[1:31:13] | How are you? | 你还好吗? |
[1:31:18] | Hanging on. | 活一天算一天 |
[1:31:22] | Ariel tells me you’re writing again. | 艾瑞尔告诉我你又开始写作了 |
[1:31:26] | I sit. | 我坐着 |
[1:31:29] | I look for the typewriter keys. | 到处找打字机的按键 |
[1:31:33] | Sometimes I find them. | 运气好的时候能找到 |
[1:31:38] | Well, I’m glad you’re working again. | 很高兴你要开始工作了 |
[1:31:43] | I’m glad you’re going to finish your book. | 很高兴你将写完你的书 |
[1:31:53] | I was reading about how rosellen brown… | 我读到露丝·布朗 |
[1:31:56] | she got all her old books back in print… | 在她写的《前后》畅销之后 |
[1:31:58] | after she hit it big with before and after. | 又将她的所有的旧书再次出版了 |
[1:32:03] | I really think that could happen for you. | 我觉得这也会发生在你身上 |
[1:32:12] | I think it’s really wonderful that you’re going on. | 我觉得你继续写下去真是太棒了 |
[1:32:17] | And I have a good feeling about this new book. | 我也很看好这本书的前景 |
[1:32:21] | I think it’s going to be your best. | 我觉得它会是你最好的一本书 |
[1:33:11] | I didn’t deserve that. | 这不是我应得的 |
[1:33:26] | I’m sorry everyghing got so fucked up. | 很抱歉把事情弄的一团糟 |
[1:33:31] | You gave an old man some excitement. | 你给我这个老头找了点刺激 |
[1:33:37] | It’s been good knowing you. | 很高兴认识你 |
[1:33:46] | I got the best of the bargain. | 我做的这一切都很值 |
[1:35:37] | Excuse me. I’m sorry, I got lost. | 抱歉 打扰了 我迷路了 |
[1:35:40] | Is this the right room for advanced booty ballet? | 这是高阶芭蕾训练室吗? |
[1:35:44] | No, advanced booty ballet is across the hall. this is pilates. | 不 高阶芭蕾室在走廊那边 这里是普拉提运动室 |
[1:35:48] | See, I got to do something about this big old caboose of mine. | 看来我得为我的糟糕的身材做点什么了 |
[1:35:53] | Okay, in that case, how about a cup of coffee? | 好的 那样的话 来杯咖啡怎么样? |
[1:35:56] | No, I can’t. I have class in 15 minutes. | 不 我不能 15分钟后我还有课 |
[1:35:59] | Well, what about after class? | 好吧 课后有时间吗? |
[1:36:02] | I can’t. I have school tonight. | 不行 晚上还要去学校 |
[1:36:04] | School? oh, wow. | 学校? 哇 |
[1:36:05] | You got into that expressive arts therapy program? | 你加入那个艺术表达的治疗项目了? |
[1:36:09] | Well, there’s a cause for celebration. | 恩 那就更有庆祝的理由了 |
[1:36:10] | That’s it. I’ll take you out to dinner straight after school. | 就这样 学校忙完我带你去吃晚饭 |
[1:36:15] | No, it’s not a good idea, case. | 不 这可不是个好主意 凯斯 |
[1:36:18] | I’d have to disagree with you, schiller. | 我不同意你说的 席勒 |
[1:36:21] | Look, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and I’m seeing things more clearly. | 听着 最近我想了很多也把事情看明白了 |
[1:36:25] | People don’t change. not that fast, casey. | 人不会这么快就改变的 凯西 |
[1:36:30] | Look, I know my reputation precedes me, but… | 听着 我知道我活在名利的阴影下 但是… |
[1:36:35] | I’m ready, ariel. I’m ready to make some big changes. | 我准备好了 艾瑞尔 我准备来个大转变 |
[1:36:41] | It’s not going to hold. | 那持续不了多久的 |
[1:36:44] | You just miss the comfort of us being together. that’s not change. | 你只是怀念在一起的快乐而已 那不是转变 |
[1:36:47] | That’s fear of change. | 那是害怕改变的表现 |
[1:36:48] | Come on, ariel. come on. | 别这么说 艾瑞尔 别这么说 |
[1:36:50] | You’re selling me short here. | 你把我看扁了 |
[1:36:59] | Case, we’re not a good match. | 凯斯 我们并不般配 |
[1:37:03] | It kills me to let you go. | 让你走我伤心死了 |
[1:37:05] | But I am. I’m letting you go. | 但我做了 我的确让你走了 |
[1:37:10] | Oh, ariel, there you are. | 艾瑞尔 你在这儿啊 |
[1:37:13] | Please tell me you’re free to cover my 3:00 tomorrow. | 我明天三点你能替我上班吗 |
[1:37:16] | Yeah, yeah, I can cover it. | 可以 可以 我能替你 |
[1:37:17] | Oh, you’re a lifesaver. I cracked a crown. | 你是我的大救星 我的牙冠发炎了 |
[1:37:20] | It’s the only time my dentist could fit me in this week. | 这周只有明天三点我的牙医有空 |
[1:37:22] | No, no. I can’t. | 不 不 我不能 |
[1:37:23] | I’ve got to take my father to the doctor tomorrow. I can’t. | 明天我要带父亲去看医生 我替不了你 |
[1:37:26] | Did you ask brenda? | 你问过布兰达了吗? |
[1:37:28] | Yeah, she has a private. and ruthie’s out of town. | 是的 她有私事 而诺提明天不在镇上 |
[1:37:31] | I’ll do it. | 我来吧 |
[1:37:33] | You can’t teach yoga. | 你不会教瑜伽的 |
[1:37:35] | No, I mean, I’ll take your dad to his doctor’s appointment. | 不 我是说 我带你父亲见医生 |
[1:37:40] | Really? | 真的吗? |
[1:37:41] | Yeah, why not? | 是的 为何不呢? |
[1:37:44] | Okay. I guess you’re covered. | 好的 我可以替你上班了 |
[1:37:47] | Thank you, kind stranger. you’ve earned many karma points. | 谢谢 友善的陌生人 你这是在行善积德 |
[1:37:53] | Case, this doesn’t change anything. | 凯斯 这么做不会改变任何事情 |
[1:37:56] | Yeah, I’m just helping out. | 是啊 我只是想帮你 |
[1:37:58] | Nothing more than that. | 仅此而已 |
[1:38:13] | Thank you. | 多谢 |
[1:38:18] | So how did it go? | 医生怎么说? |
[1:38:21] | Don’t grow old. | 千万别变老 |
[1:38:23] | That’s my advice. | 这是我对你的建议 |
[1:38:30] | Oh, dear. | 哎呀 |
[1:38:33] | Is something wrong? | 哪不舒服吗? |
[1:38:35] | My stomach. | 我的胃 |
[1:38:44] | My body is not my own. it’s time to die. | 我的身体每况愈下 是去见上帝的时候了 |
[1:38:52] | It’s not time to die, leonard. it’s just time to get you to a restroom. | 你还能活很久呢 里昂纳多 现在该为你找个洗手间 |
[1:38:55] | Give me your hand. | 把手给我 |
[1:38:58] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[1:39:00] | I’m sorry to have to put you through this. | 很抱歉累坏你了 |
[1:39:02] | Don’t mention it. | 别这么说 |
[1:39:03] | Thank you. I don’t want to make a scene. | 谢谢你 我真是害怕出洋相 |
[1:39:06] | Don’t worry about it, alright? | 别太担心 好吗? |
[1:39:19] | – can I help you – we’re fine. | -需要帮忙吗? -我们很好 |
[1:39:22] | Restroom’s for customers only. | 洗手间只为顾客开放 |
[1:39:23] | Alright. we’re customers. | 好的 我们就是顾客 |
[1:39:32] | Stand up on three. okay, leonard. | 我数三声你就站起来 来 里昂纳多 |
[1:39:35] | 1 2 3 One, two, three. | |
[1:39:40] | That’s it. | 就这样 |
[1:39:43] | Alright. stepping out. | 好的 出来吧 |
[1:40:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[1:40:15] | That seems to be all I’m able to say to you today. | 千言万语也不足以表达我的谢意 |
[1:40:20] | Let that “thank you” stand for all the others. | 那一声”谢谢”就已经足够了 |
[1:40:23] | Alright. | 好的 |
[1:40:26] | I wonder if I might be so bold as to ask another favor of you. | 我冒昧的想知道能否请你再帮个忙 |
[1:40:30] | What can I do for you? | 我能做什么呢? |
[1:40:31] | Perhaps you might be able to find a place… | 或许你能找到一个地方… |
[1:40:34] | to store this for me. | 把这个替我保存起来 |
[1:40:38] | What is it? | 是什么? |
[1:40:40] | Something I’ve been working on. | 一些我在写的东西 |
[1:40:46] | Leonard… | 里昂纳多… |
[1:40:48] | this is your novel. you’ve been working on this for ten years. | 这是你的小说 你为他付出了10年的心血啊 |
[1:40:51] | Yes, precisely. and I’ve only recently… | 准确说 是的 我就是最近才… |
[1:40:54] | come to realize why it’s eluded me for so long. | 意识到为何它让我困惑了这么长时间 |
[1:40:58] | Why is that? | 是何原因呢? |
[1:41:00] | My characters haven’t done anything interesting. | 我塑造的人物都是非常乏味的人 |
[1:41:05] | I followed them faithfully for over a decade… | 我构思了十年… |
[1:41:07] | but I finally have to admit they never will. | 最终我不得不承认他们是绝不会有趣的 |
[1:41:15] | Well, why not put it in your closet and spend some time away from them? | 恩 那为何不把他们先搁在一边呢? |
[1:41:20] | You may be inspired to figure out what to do. | 或许过一段时间后你就知道该怎么做了 |
[1:41:22] | I already know what to do. | 我已经知道要怎么做了 |
[1:41:27] | But that would mean starting over… | 但那意味着要从头再来… |
[1:41:29] | and I’m not so sure I have the strength. | 我又不确定我有那种力量 |
[1:41:33] | I understand, but all the same… | 我明白 但和以前一样的是… |
[1:41:37] | i can’t imagine leonard schiller not working on a novel. | 我不敢想象里昂纳多·席勒不再写小说了 |
[1:41:43] | So, what are you going to do now, my friend? | 那么 你现在要做什么呢 我的朋友? |
[1:41:46] | Right now I’m going to go home and sleep… | 现在我要回家睡觉… |
[1:41:50] | for maybe a hundred years. | 可能睡个100年吧 |
[1:41:53] | Thank you, casey. | 谢谢你 凯西 |
[1:42:21] | You’re glowing at me again. | 你的脸上又开始对我微笑了 |
[1:42:30] | What? | 什么? |
[1:42:32] | I just talked to my dad. | 我刚和父亲谈过了 |
[1:42:34] | And? | 结果是? |
[1:42:36] | Let’s just say you have a fan in leonard schiller. | 可以说你又多了一个粉丝里昂纳多·席勒 |
[1:42:39] | Yeah? what did he say? | 是吗? 他怎么说的? |
[1:42:40] | He said you held his hand in hell. | 他说你在鬼门关里把他拉了出来 |
[1:42:43] | No, not hell. it wasn’t hell. | 不 不是鬼门关 根本不是 |
[1:42:47] | It was hell’s kitchen, maybe. | 可能只是厨房门 |
[1:42:52] | Wait a second. how’d you get in here? | 等等 你怎么进来的? |
[1:42:55] | Just because I let you go, it doesn’t mean I had to turn my key in. | 我是让你离开 并不意味着要上交我的钥匙 |
[1:42:59] | Well, I had to turn in mine. that hardly seems fair. | 恩 我却要上交我的 这根本不公平 |
[1:43:03] | What’s fair got to do with it? | 公平不公平有什么关系呢? |
[1:47:28] | Starting out in the evening | 夜晚出发 |